[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 386
Thread images: 24

File: Red Dragon.jpg (1MB, 2400x1074px) Image search: [Google]
Red Dragon.jpg
1MB, 2400x1074px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52329983
>>
First for baneposting will never die and anytime you see a giant you've got to call him a big guy or you're gonna see how big he is for you.
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg

Roll20 version of TYP unlocks in just over three hours. Who hype?
>>
>>52337596

Grabbin my physical copy tomorrow. Gonna modify Dead in Thay for the end of one of my campaigns, and maybe use Tomb of Horrors as a closing act to Curse of Strahd.
>>
Bard did a better job portraying a character concept for Trickery Domain.

There is no reason not to play Bard, unless you are a maggot who get hang up on "but...muh game mechanic" like 3.pf tard.
>>
>>52337641
I think Tomb of Horrors would be a great stand-in for the Amber Temple, personally. Just scatter the dark gift sarcophagi around inside it.
>>
>>52337596
I am not excited for either TYP or your degenerate discord server.
>>
>>52337566
>he is
What if its a big girl anon?
>>
What you guys think about the Wand of Wonder? Thinking about giving one to my players.
>>
>>52337703
It'll either never be used (smart player) or used all the time to terrible effect (dumb player).
>>
>>52337596
Hang yourself.
>>
>>52337671
>>52337641
Isn't that just asking for a TPK?
>>
>>52337597

Guess what else the trickery cleric gets? Cleric stuff.
>>
>>52337644
Channel Divinity, preferring to prepare spells, wanting to play a Wisdom character and wanting to be a Cleric. There's lots of reasons even if a Bard is better in every way in a white room.
>>
>>52337732

My players are pretty good. Besides, I was gonna throw the Tomb in *after* Strahd is dead. If one of the characters has become a Revenant, the only way for them to leave Barovia will be to defeat Acerak. For... reasons I haven't entirely figured out yet.
>>
Does Whisper bard have anything going for it other then shadow stealing? I was thinking of dipping 3 in Assassin for some more use out of the Poison hit and shapeshifting.
>>
>>52337801
It can be very interesting in certain campaign styles, less dungeon crawling and more political intrigue/urban adventure kind of thing. That said assassin 3 is a good move, particularly in combination with some bard spells (silence, invisibility etc)
>>
If a character does good things and is a good person but wants to enact violent revenge on an individual or group of people, what alignment are they? Can you have good alignment but still want specific, bloody vengeance?
>>
>>52337876
Would it be best to start in Bard or Rogue? Also should I go to 4 in one first for the ASI or 3 then 3 and play a Half-Elf to make up for the late ASI?
>>
>>52337787
Pretty good doesn't mean shit when everything insta kills you.
>>
>>52337914
Do they think the revenge is a good act? Do they deeply believe the world would be a better place when that individual or group is dead? If so you can call it good, neutral or evil. Considering that they're nice other then that I'd call them Good.
>>
>>52337914
Gygax said that retribution could very well be LG so its up to you. There's a lot context required to really make that judgement call.
>>
>>52337944

Ehhh, they know the deal. I'll even let em hire underlings to serve as red shirts.
>>
>>52337920
Rogue then Bard net you more skill proficiency.
>>
>>52337914
Depends on your ethical system.
>>
>>52337733
Guess who can steal all the best Cleric stuff?
>>
>>52337914
their alignment is butthurt
>>
>>52337683
Then you say big girl. Memes can mutate.
>>
>>52338022
Lore Bards get 2 spells at level 6 and 2 more every 4 levels.

Other Bards get 2 at 10 and 2 every 4 levels after.

Most of the time Bards are going to be busy taking all the cool spells for their flavor rather then invalidate a Trickery Cleric. You'd have to be a dick to do that unless there was no Trickery Cleric in the party.

Also Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity is hilariously powerful if your DM follows RAW.
>>
What are some tips you have for running a sandbox game?

I'm at the third chapter in SKT and my players have a lot of options for where they can go. They're headed to Hundelstone from Bryn Shander and I'm not really sure how to nudge them in any direction from there or how to prepare for the direction they eventually head in.
>>
Is minionmancers bad? Can I just go with 1 or 2 skeletons and outfitt them with better armor and weapon?
>>
Anons? Two quick questions:

In PF's Horror Adventures splat, there's a Barbarian archetype called the Moonborn, which basically lets you be a werebeast by only shifting into hybrid shape whilst raging. Do you think this could be adapted to 5e?

In 3rd edition, kobolds apparently had lycanthropes of their own, in the form of were-*weasels*. Just what the hell does a half-kobold half-weasel look like?!
>>
>>52338181
Get out of here furry.

Joke aside, you can already fluff your barbarian like that. It's already said so in totem warrior text.
>>
>>52338181
They just go from lizardbolds to cutebolds.
>>
>>52338164
I find it works best if you just have a couple with you. Means you're still a real Wizard with casting and you can use them as guards, trap detectors and shields. A necromancer gets 2 per level 3 casting and can use a spell slot to control 4. In combat keep them back with you and have them archer things to death.
>>
>>52338230
I'm not assuming cute results. More like slightly less ugly ratbolds.
>>
>>52338181
Totem Barb works well for that. Especially some of the options which give you pretty inhuman powers.
>>
WI just realised with all the talk of Unarmed Barbarians it would be easy to just make it a Totem Option

While raging your unarmed attacks count as Magical Light Weapons and deal 1d8+STR damage. You have advantage on checks to shove a creature.

Now can someone tell me what I've completely broken with that option?
>>
>>52338353
Oh shit while raging you already have Advantage. Feel like it needs another small bonus though compared to other options.
>>
File: mystic starting stats.png (8KB, 329x342px) Image search: [Google]
mystic starting stats.png
8KB, 329x342px
>>52337544
Making a mystic High Elf Order of the Immortal. Starting stats attached (not including changes caused by the racial traits). DM is us allowing us to buy starting equipment. These stats are fine right?
>>
>>52337544
I'd take a point out of Dex and put it in Con. Odd stats don't help. Other then that it's good.
>>
>>52338181
Either totem barb or just go shifter race.
>>
Which do you prefer, rolling stats or allotment of points?
>>
>>52338384
>high elf
Drop Dex to 14 and put the points into Con and Cha.
>>
>>52338411
points.

in OD&D you can have a 100% viable char with straight 3s

in AD&D you can have a 100% viable char with straight 9s

in WotC editions a char with straight 12-13s is generally gonna suck
>>
>>52338415
Bumped up con to 14
>>
Could someone help clear how superiority dice/maneuvers work for me? Looking at disarming attack for example, the attack does the rolled damage plus the superiority damage, right? But then what is the DC for the str saving throw? Likewise, what is the DC for the wis saving throw in goading attack?
>>
>>52338411
Generally, rolling.
>>
>>52338454
Look at the feature that gives BMs maneuvers. It's 8 + proficiency bonus + strength or dex.
>>
>>52338411
Point-buy is more fun for everyone (DM include) unless you do 3d6 rolling in order. No bitching no reroll.
>>
>>52338149
Bryn Shander is basically set up to lead into chapter 4 pretty soon. Maybe have them meet Harshnag early and he asks them to accompany him once they wrap up their various quests.

I didn't have much trouble though, my players understand i'm running from a book and there's not much to do if they ignore hooks and fly off the rails. They'll follow just about anything offered, to the point where I'm just telling them i'm running a book for future campaigns, even if i'm not. it's wonderful.
>>
>>52338465
Ahah. Thanks. I spent so long reading the maneuvers I forgot everything I read on the previous page.
>>
>>52338483
And if you die, your new character use the same stat.
>>
>>52338483
>>52338411
Exactly. In 3e, 4e, or 5e, if someone wants to roll, they get 3d6 6x, roll in order, declare race and class first, no bitching allowed.
>>
What's the most satisfying or successful character arc you've ever pulled off for your PCs? I managed to perfectly pull off my evil tiefling warlock's edgy revenge fantasy with no downsides or reprocussions whatsoever
>>
>>52338497
Same stats but randomise the order again.

So if it was 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 for example you get them randomly mixed up. Means you won't see Bill play 7 Wizards in a row but he isn't getting a better character from dying.
>>
>>52338528
Great!
>>
>>52338431
>in AD&D you can have a 100% viable char with straight 9s
What edition were you playing? Was it one where fighters STR scaling wasn't borked or one where wizards with low INT could learn higher level spells?
>>
>>52338527
Gnome Purple Dragon Knight who was "Getting too old for this shit" retired as head of his home cities Guard after he saved it from some powerful Dragons. It was level 14 and I made a new character for the last part of the game but it was so satisfying.
>>
>>52338546
The edition he never played but shitposts about to get grogs who can't remember what they ate for breakfast to jerk him off.
>>
>>52338411
4d6 in order, if you don't have two or more stats at 15 or above roll 1d6 and assign that score a 15 (1 for STR, 2 for DEX, etc) if it isn't already that high or higher until you have 2 stats at 15 or higher.
>>
>>52338546
>What edition were you playing?

1e and 2e.

> or one where wizards with low INT could learn higher level spells?

Yes, I am sure that the hordes of level 15+ wizards who can't use L8/L9 spells are really going to destroy the campaign.
>>
File: 1450793330301.jpg (254KB, 752x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1450793330301.jpg
254KB, 752x1000px
>Small race Great Weapon Mystic
>Use powers to force enemies to make a save instead of rolling to hit (with disadvantage), or animate the weapon and fling it at them
>Grow to Large size and give no fucks, swing hard to win hard
>>
Friends, I have a valor bard in my game, and at level 10 he's thinking of getting swift quiver from magical secrets. He says that he feels "scummy" for taking it, and that he might not allow it if he were DM.

Given that we have a fighter in the party, do you think allowing this spell will be a problem? That it might step on the fighter's toes or otherwise be OP?
>>
>>52338648
No problem, that's what its there for.
>>
>>52338527
Will have one soon.

Playing a revenant warlock/paladin. He's killed the man that killed him, and now he's on his way to kill the demon cultists created when they raided his home.
>>
>>52338648
If it doesn't keep you from falling into a pit full of spikes then it's not OP
>>
>>52338565
That's the dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard.
>>
>>52338648
Depend... does he has sharpshooter?
>>
>>52338565
why don't you just use the array. making us rollers look bad here
>>
File: 1490249405899.gif (4MB, 490x476px) Image search: [Google]
1490249405899.gif
4MB, 490x476px
>>52338648
>am i a bad man for doing what every ranged lore bard with half a brain does
really conflagrates my cranium
>>
>>52338648
post the sheet
>>
>>52338648
>spend your concentration slot to do 17-20 more damage per round
> when you can just cast animate object and do 65 average damage per round
>>
>>52338648
Say that you can't learn any spell at a level before the source class, regardless of spell level access.
>>
>>52338697
No.
>>52338676
I don't follow.
>>52338737
Don't have it. No feats, nothing too noteworthy I think.
>>
>>52338411
My DM let us go 3d6 declare race and class first, you get to assign the roll. I think that's pretty fair since it can be pretty tiring for the whole party when they have a rogue with 7 dex or wizard with 9 int being fucking useless.
>>
>>52338411
Point buy or 4d6, pick three, assign numbers to whatever stats. If the sum of mods is negative, probably allow a reroll once.
>>
>>52338766
Then it's just 2d8+6 damage per round... That is weaker than lots of stuff including animate objects.
>>
>>52338745
55 damage on average if all 10 somehow manage to hit. Also takes concentration and the tedium of controlling ten creatures.
Not really seeing it?
>>
>>52338854
(2.5+4)*10 is 65 aberage anon. Go back to math class.

Swift quiver also take concentration slot, I am telling him that it's a weak option for what he can do with that concentration.

Controlling 10 tiny flying creatures isn't much problem, since most of them will be swarming enemies anyway.
>>
>>52338907
Yeah my mistake.
He'll definitely never take that spell though, he can't even stand to control an animal companion.
>>
>>52338939
That's his problem, then.
>>
daily reminder that c0re doesn't know how to balance 5E
>>
>>52338939
That's his problem. The point still stand that swift quiver is weak compare to other stuff bard can do naturally.
>>
File: Destruction.png (966KB, 1440x1448px) Image search: [Google]
Destruction.png
966KB, 1440x1448px
So, is it a copout to play an evil character whose motive for helping the party is pure hatred of the central antagonist?
>>
>>52339027
No? How are you planning on making their evil significant?
>>
>>52339027
No, that's fine. Evil characters are acceptable if they're actually characters. The problem comes with the players who use evil alignment to be destructive in an inane and unimaginative way.
>>
>>52339018
Seems so. Unless I give him a magic bow or something maybe.
>>
what do you guys think of making healing potion base off of hit dice? like lets say a lesser, normal, and greater healing potions alright? lesser heals 2 die of your class' hit dice, normal heals 4 die, and greater heals 6? and so on if you wish to create higher

i want healing potions to be actually useful and relevant no matter what class you play, so by basing it off hit dice it would always be meaningful in relation to the users max hp

just spitballing here
>>
>>52339027
Evil can get along with people who they have a reason to. As long as you aren't kicking puppies and shooting children for no goddamn reason you can do fine.
>>
>>52339109
Careful, that sounds like 4e thinking
>>
>>52338527
Went from Folk Hero who helped a town revolt to the Queen of it. That was dope.

There was also an "acceptance of death as a natural thing" plot line going. We defeated the BBEG and got to choose one boon. Her "immortal I can never die" mentality she had in the beginning, slowly cultivated through life decisions successes and failures to not fearing death when it happens. You bet your ass I didn't pick immortal, I picked proficiency in all skilled and I now have a favorite character ever since.
>>
>>52339123
well 2d4+4 isnt really useful past low levels, especially for martials
>>
>>52339109
What if you are level 3 and have a lesser healing potion, that heals you up all the way?

I like consistency with my games, if the lesser healing potions get worse over time thanks to your leveling that's different.

Now it's always this number no matter the level.
>>
>>52339134
Don't buy a single healing potion if you can afford a potion of resistance.

A fighter with "double", there health thanks to that potion is unstoppable.

A potion or speed (haste) makes you also unstoppable.

Doing both of that, makes you the thing of legends.
>>
>>52339134
>>52339186
And if you are just feeling inadequate to the individuals with magic powers, just give an extra skill proficiency to fighter and barbarian. Martial are outshined outside of combat and only then.
>>
anyone tried out the hexblade? im thinking of rolling one
>>
>>52338527

As a DM, my table has been helping this one guy overcome his social anxiety problems which works cause his character's background is a very secluded druid who keeps to himself but has to go out adventuring cause reasons.

It's been pretty cool cause he's now a much different person since we started at session 0 1.5 years ago. From talking to the multitude of NPCs that I RP and the party themselves and such, he's really gotten out of his shell and it reflects on his own PCs personal arc as well where his druid is coming to embrace comrades and people alike.

Our adventure is still not an end but it's probably one of the most satisfying things I've witnessed playing DnD for decades. Last month he was able to get to talk to a girl he's fancied for ages. That's our druid.
>>
What's the right amount of tokens/minis for monsters? Cause I'm thinking of printing those printable minis/tokens but I'm not sure how many I need for monsters. One cause I'll never know if I need more than 5 goblins and then there are times I might need to pull out a dragon when the occasion calls for it depending how my players do.
>>
>>52339330
You should have a rough idea of what your players could possibly run in to in a given session, if your just printing them, do it on a session by session basis.
Bonus points for printing tokens for summons/familiars/transformations by asking the players what they prefer if they have the option pre-session.
>>
>>52339259
Aww thats nice :)
>>
File: 1484281958048.jpg (52KB, 729x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484281958048.jpg
52KB, 729x960px
>>52338353
Just the fact that their magical is a pretty big bonus. As a DM I'd allow it as a second tier totem option.
What animal? Kangaroo? Gorilla? Rainbow Shrimp? Wolverine?
>>
>>52338411

Absolute favorite is Standard Array [15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8], any order. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

Everybody starts on equal footing, race is really important and it goes a long way to bring PCs in line with NPC culture, it matches the math in the books, and it does away with the urge to 16-or-8 every stat. MAD builds take a bit of a hit and some races can get a bit wonky due to odd points, but adding a second array like [15, 14, 14, 10, 10, 8] can go a long way towards mitigating that.

If I can't sell Standard Array (and I usually can't) it's 27 point buy, 8-15 before racial bonuses. Best by test.

If find 4d6 drop lowest worst of all worlds: you're likely going to get better than the math suggest but you might get hosed.I'm no fan of either but "reroll till you're better than system intends" is just stupid.

For one shots and short-term gaming I usually do sealed envelope or choice of pregen. We talked about everyone starting with a pick of pregens but then letting everyone customize as they leveled up, but we ultimately just went with point buy that time.

One thing I'd like to do is a 3d6 matrix: roll 3d6 36 times so you end up with 6 arrays, then letting the party decide who gets which array. I'd like to do strict-in-order from there so that the group has to work together to really prioritize who gets what and what they play as a group, but truth told I'm not sure it would actually be worth it: for a one-shot its more time spent on creation than needed and its too likely to wear thin in a long-term game.
>>
>>52337914
Lawful good, revenge is righting an injustice and restoring the natural order. To be chaotic good is to forgive their evil acts and to be neutral good is to attempt to change their ways.
>>
>>52339347

Ah so it's more of a "just print what's needed" basis until I amass a collection of tokens over time kind of thing? I see, should've thought it that way cause I was about to print like 5 sheets of goblin tokens.

Well, I do have my random encounter table so I'll just print based on that cause no matter where they go, they'll always have to roll for that. I'll pick up on that familiar/summon/etc. too.

At the moment, they're at an urban environment which has a sandbox-y feel since what was supposed to be a stopover, they've managed to steer the tale to make it to some big underground crime thriller saga so there's that bit of pressure on me what monster should I reel in.

But thanks, anon. Will do some thinking at the time being.
>>
>>52339368
Totem animals should be archetypal, so they can be refluffed by region. Wolf can easily be Hyena, or Lion, or whatever pack animal, Bears are pretty universal, but can be any big tough creature, eagle is whatever bird of prey is in the area.

Gorilla sort of works, it gets rough in some places, but can be any sort of ape/monkey and fit a set of bonuses, but the rest are too specific.
>>
>>52338181
Totem barbarian has a wolf option, you could simply fluff your rage as bringing out that bestial form.
>>
>>52339378
Fully agreed
>>
>>52339330

I like mine abstract. I have A-E and 0-9 in 4 different colors. To us its best of both worlds because we're getting all the benefits of being able to see exactly where everything is in relation to everything else, but there's people can still be as imaginative as they'd like.
>>
>>52339259
You made my day anon.
>>
>>52339402
Illithids make fantastic behind the scenes enemies, Drow do it already in Luskhan in Forgotten Realms, as did a Beholder for the longest time. A shapeshifted Dragon, or a Devil who has set up on the material plane can always work.

Personally, i'd go with an Alhoon, arcane Illithid. Great BBEG potential, versatile, and has good reason to want to be a hidden leader. Plus, it has the obvious goal of acquiring power to become an Illithilich.

Of course that might be way too high level for them to take on, but that can be fun too.
>>
>>52339405
Wolverines? They're badgers, so you have weasels, honey badgers, otters. Focus on the ferocity aspect.
Maybe expand the abilities to give bonuses to unarmed attacks, and grapple. I'm sure there's a better animal archetype out there though, but I like the concept.
Could fulfil the want for a pugilist sttength monk type character.
>>
>>52339378
>3d6 matrix
To speed up you could use a virtual dice roller. I'd also allow the characters to swap two numbers from their array, after the choices are made, so as to avoid stuff like Constitution below 10. Or you know, just let them pick numbers one by one and then back, so that the player who picks first also picks last.
>>
>>52339378
A 3d6 matrix gives you 12 array options, vertical and horizontal. 24 if you let them go backwards.

And it should ALWAYS be in order, it's part of what makes it interesting, instead of just gaming for the biggest numbers.
>>
>>52339518
Original guy here. Maybe make the 1d8 magical attack the second one and the first one a 1d4 Unarmed attack and some other minor bonus? Would need another one for level 14 as well.

I feel like they should give the Unarmed skill and some other utility bonus that makes sense with claws. Climb speed could be in there.
>>
>>52339566
If you go with badgers, i'd play up the clawed aspect. Let them do slashing, instead of bludgeoning, and give them a burrow speed eventually, rather than climb.
>>
>>52339514

Well, I'm doing Storm King's Thunder so it's set in the Realms. They are currently in Yartar which, according to the module, is going to be a very important place in the late-game of the module cause they're dealing with the Kraken Society. Right now, my aim is to let them get engaged in this place and let them deal with a quest that they can ultimately solve but still leave a gaping hole that hints in the bigger picture (e.g. "We solved the case! But that doesn't explain why this happened...." kind of thing) esp since the Society are in kahoots with the module's BBEG. I want to give them that feeling that there is a bigger mystery here that envelops the plot of the giant incursion.

Right now, Yartar as written houses a member of the Society by one casino-boat owner and he will pinpoint the adventurers where the Society is keeping a very important giant NPC. At the moment, I don't want that but I guess my aim is that my players are dealing with a criminal underworld plot in Yartar with its gangs and mob bosses not realizing the Society is behind it all. This way when they get to the late-game chapters where the Society unveils themselves, the players will have that lightbulb moment when they return to Yartar.

I do like the idea of an illithid cause it falls in line with the Society but like you said, it's pretty darn high level for them.
>>
>>52339590
Burrow Speed's a pretty powerful thing so maybe make that either 8th or 14th.

Hm, hard to balance some increasing unarmed ability with stuff that's flavorful, I do like the idea of a badger barbarian though. Alright what about this.

Level 3: 1d4 unarmed damage and advantage on Fear Saves.

Level 6: 1d6 or 1d8, counts as magical and Immune to poison.

Level 14: Burrow speed and maybe +1 to hit and damage?

Could always put the damage increase off until level 14 and make them get the +1 to hit and damage at level 8. I just want to make sure they don't step o the Monks toes too much.
>>
>>52339639
>+1 to hit and damage at level 8
I mean level 6 sorry.
>>
>>52339639
Without Flurry of Blows and other mobility shenanigans they shouldn't step on their toes.
Flat bonuses are weird though, but eventually everyone gets a +X weapon, even monks. So maybe +1 to hit and damage isn't so bad.

That's immunity to the poison condition not damage right? If so that's genius.
>>
>>52339679
Yeah immunity to the poison condition and maybe resistance to damage. Don't wanna give them an immunity to damage at level 6 (Yuan-ti were a mistake).

Instead of the flat +1 it could progress 1d4, 1d6, 1d8. The Hit bonus feels like it might be needed though.
>>
>>52339639
Level 6 are utility features, level 3 and 14 are more mechanical and combat oriented.
I'd let them have 1d6 slashing damage at 3, maybe with something like if they hit, they can use their bonus action to attempt a grapple.

6, i like the poison immunity and magical, but it needs an out of combat benefit to fit the utility of other options, especially since the different levels need to benefit ANY totem warrior, not just a pure badger one.

14, burrow speed is good, but i almost wish we could put "Your melee weapon attacks ignore damage resistance" here, instead of just counting as magical at 6. It just comes too late though, but again, the totems need to be desirable to ALL totem warriors, because you are allowed to pick and choose.
>>
>>52339596
It's not like you have to let them kill it. It can be fun to have the leader of a group be simply beyond the PCs, just make sure they become aware of it at some point.

It's not like an Alhoon/Illithid would exactly come and deal with them itself anyway, it wouldn't want the attention.
>>
>>52339718
Oh that's a good point about the mix and match. I also just found out Badgers can apparently climb rather well so what about this

Level 3: You unarmed attack counts as a 1d6 Light Slashing Weapon and you have advantage on Saving Throws against Fear. At level (pending) you're unarmed attacks count as Magical.

Level 6: You gain Climb Speed equal to your Speed, have immunity to the Poisoned Condition and maybe add Resistance to Poison Damage.

Level 14: You gain Burrow Speed equal to your Speed and something else I'm not sure about. I want to say something that rewards you for making multiple attacks against the same enemy but that feels way too fiddly.

Also I don't like the weapons counting as magical anywhere but it has to go somewhere before 10 I guess.
>>
>>52339639
>Level 3: 1d4 unarmed damage and advantage on Fear Saves.

Why the fuck would a Barbarian, one of the smashiest fuck-em-up classes in the game, opt to use a piddly 1d4 damage claw instead of their big fuck-off 2d6 two-hander?

(Spoiler: They wouldn't, ever.)
>>
>>52339718
3) 1d6, then turns to 1d8 at 6th? Grapple as a bonus action if you hit.

6) Immunity to being poisoned and resistance to poison damage (only while raging? Unarmed attacks become magical. (Same level as monks, and can benefit others who didn't pick up the first one.)

14) Burrow speed, and maybe a bastardized version of flurry of blows, limited to one handed weapons and unarmed. Call it Fury of Paws/Claws.
>>
File: tumblr_n4v6drAIk01sg99p0o1_1280.jpg (86KB, 960x861px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4v6drAIk01sg99p0o1_1280.jpg
86KB, 960x861px
How would I roll up pic related? Obviously I've been inspired by the Raven Queen warlock patron.
>>
>>52339808
Flavor. That's why I'm trying to add in multiple abilities into it to make up for the damage hit, currently I'm sitting at 1d6 and counts as a light weapon so you can Bonus Attack with it.

Also makes a much better grappler.
>>
>>52339782
>>52339827
I like the climbing speed addition.

The 14th level could be changed so "Fury of Claws" only affects on target (unless they die?).
>>
File: happy michael.jpg (24KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
happy michael.jpg
24KB, 399x382px
>sorcerer player silent-casted wish to make a clone of himself four months ago and willingly got himself killed in a suicide bombing to fuck with the new DM that spent two weeks planning the next phase of the story line because he ate the last slice of pizza
>>
In your next game everyone plays as the same class, no multiclassing. What class would you like to see? What options do you take? Your party?
>>
>>52339856
*one target
>>
>>52339867

Wizards
>>
>>52339856
>>52339827
Whenever you take the Attack action only targeting a creature you have grappled, you may make 2 extra weapon attacks against that target.
Or something, at 14.
>>
Party is going to have an encounter with a shambling mound pumpkin patch that is trying to summon the pumpkin king. I have the puzzle mechanic figured out, all I need now is a reward. What would be a cool magical item on a farm in bum fuck nowhere that has almost summoned the pumpkin king?
A piece of pumpkin pie?
>>
>>52339867
Rogue or cleric.
>>
>>52339837
>Flavor.

I guess if your character concept demands that you suck at your job...
>>
>>52339867
Mystics
>>
>>52339827
>>52339856

I like where this went actually. I might do up a fancy version of it soon. So we have this.

Level 3: 1d6 Unarmed that goes to 1d8 at 8th level and when you Attack you can Grapple as a Bonus Action.

Level 6: Immunity to Poisoned condition, Climb Speed and unarmed attacks become Magical.

Level 14: Burrow Speed and whenever you make the attack action against a grappled Creature you can make 1 extra attack (2 combined with Rage Damage, always Advantage and the Barb Capstone feels like too much)

This look good to people?
>>
>>52339867
Cleric, Bard, or Mystic.
Each one can play fairly differently, and have defined roles within a group, despite being the same class.
>>
>>52339915
Tack the magical on the 3 feature, it can turn on at 6 if you want, but it makes no sense by itself.

Otherwise, i wouldn't mind one in a game, on either side of the DM screen.
>>
>>52339938
Honestly I might because yeah it makes no sense there and it's not going to make much difference if it comes on at 3 or 6.
>>
>>52339895
A seed or nut that casts Plant Growth once.
>>
>>52339915
>and when you Attack you can Grapple as a Bonus Action.

Now the feature actually does something relevant! Much better.
>>
>>52339867
Devotion Paladin, Moon Druid, Arcana Cleric, Necromancer Wizard, Battlemaster Fighter.
>>
>>52339978
You misunderstand.
>>
>>52339915
>>52339955

As a DM I'd allow it. Grapple as a bonus action almost makes it worth it to be unarmed. Shove them prone, while keeping them from getting up is a good combo.
>>
>>52339987
Oh sorry. Same class, didn't notice that. Wizard then
>>
Sharpshooter is such cancer. I deeply regret letting my fucking variant human fighter take it

The damage is so absurd man. He still gets a +4 to hit with his -5 +10 and he uses it every fucking attack.

Add action surge or Haste into the mix and it just gets retarded, he does 3x the damage the paladin sorcerer or cleric does and it makes combat balancing really hard.
>>
>>52337566
My character Guy Farieu is quite the hulking warrior.
>>
>>52340061
What's the problem?
>single target man is good at damage to single targets

I'd be happy to see PCs deal high damage to single targets...
>>
>>52340061
You could throw in some encounters with monsters that have higher AC, or resistance to nonmagical weapons. Also using magic or debilitating effects to give him disadvantage to hit, or a status that takes him out of combat for a round or two. Using full cover as well.

I wouldn't make it a regular thing or it won't be fun for that player, but used occasionally to give other players a chance to shine.
But letting the fighter feel like a bad ass every now and then shouldn't be bad.
>>
File: Badgerbarian.png (274KB, 525x526px) Image search: [Google]
Badgerbarian.png
274KB, 525x526px
Any glaring errors with this?
>>
>>52340073
The problem is that his minimum damage with two landed shots is 30 fucking damage, 30 fucking damage being 6 points below the MAX damage of the PAM Paladin, who has a +1 glaive and has to wade into melee while the fighter can do his damage literally 600ft away

God forbid he gets magic bow. It's a broken feat
>>
>>52340073

I think the issue he's having is that it blows the crap out of the Paladin, who is ALSO a single target burst guy.
>>
>>52340133
You forgot the grappled prerequisite for the extra attack on the level 14 feature
>>
File: Badgerbarian.png (268KB, 513x522px) Image search: [Google]
Badgerbarian.png
268KB, 513x522px
>>52340163
True. Also fixed some spelling issues.
>>
>>52340133
Misspelled "option" under Totemic Attunement
>>
>>52340134
Your Paladin should pick up Great Weapon Master. Then it balances out, because PAM GWM pally can go for 2d10+1d4+3*STR+30 per turn, plus an easier to trigger attack of opportunity, to the fighter's 2d8+2*DEX+20.
Plus there are easy ways to screw up sharpshooters. High AC enemies. Wall spells (Wind Wall comes to mind). Enemies resistant to physical damage.
>>
>>52340219

>Great Weapon Master.

And if they are not a great weapon user?

I really don't like how 5e went 'These specific weapons get fantastic feats that everyone will take and others get screwed out of such feats'.
>>
>>52340198
Do they automatically grapple someone they hit with a bonus action?
Or they can attempt a grapple as a bonus action?
>>
File: Badgerbarian.png (266KB, 507x525px) Image search: [Google]
Badgerbarian.png
266KB, 507x525px
>>52340229
Attempt a Grapple, third time's the charm.
>>
>>52340229
I think it should be the latter, not that it's likely to fail on a raging barbarian who uses STR anyway.

>>52340198
I do have one thought, although it's minor. As it is right now, since Unarmed Strike isn't exclusive to hands, you can currently hit and grapple 2 people, and keep attacking them for slashing damage. Might want to mention that the "claws" require a free hand to attack with.
>>
>>52340134
GWM is the analog to Sharpshooter.

>>52340136
The paladin:
1. Resurrects people
2. Heals people, removes poison and diseases
3. Has best saves in game
4. Gives allies the best saves possible
5. Can give immunities to fear and charm

I'm not surprised that a total generalist like a paladin can't keep up.
>>
>>52340225
Makes it worth it to drop a shield in favor of more damage. Good AC is harder to come by this edition, so shields matter. Also that -5 to hit is risky if you don't have advantage.
I have less of a problem with GWM, since it gives STR fighters and edge over DEX fighters, who benefit from better initiative and AC.
>>
>>52340225
>And if they are not a great weapon user?

>paladin

Then they can get the excellent Shield Master feat, which gives free advantage for all (except bow guys) forever and great dex saves. In the case of a bow ally, I guess he would shove him back instead.

The most natural duo is a shield guy to give advantage and a GWM guy to deal heavy damage.
>>
File: Badgerbarian.png (263KB, 498x526px) Image search: [Google]
Badgerbarian.png
263KB, 498x526px
>>52340253
I thought about not changing that because most people enjoy the two person Grappling deal but I do want this to feel like it's specifically for targeting one creature at a time. So I added in the free hand requirement.
>>
>>52340225
Unless they are duel wielding, which is legitimately weaker, they should either be
>more defensive with a shield, and do 2d8+2+2stat
>use a polearm, and do 2d8+1d4+3stat
or
>use GWM and do 4d6/2d12+10+2stat

Compared to sharpshooter doing
>2d8+10+2stat

If you double up on feats for both

>2d12+1d4+3stat+20
for melee
>3d6+stat+3stat+20
or
>2d10+2stat+1
>>
>>52340271
Honestly, it didn't really bother me either way, it just felt off that you could hold 2 people and still be fully effective in your attacks, which are slashing despite no hands.
Flavor issue really.
>>
>>52340266
>STR fighters and edge over DEX fighters, who benefit from better initiative and AC.

Wait...what? Plate is better AC than dex armour even with 20 dex.
>>
>>52340312
Not that anon, but dex is just a better overall stat, regardless of if you can wear plate or not. Which is prohibitively expensive early on.
>>
Should I give my skeleton minions 2 short sword?
>>
>>52340332
Boyo
>>
>>52340331

Yeah but saying that dex has better AC than Strength really isn't right. Doubly so not after your first level or two when you can afford plate.
>>
>>52340312
That anon here, yeah you're right, I didn't mean to say it was the best for AC, but that it's still really good and comes along with other benefits.
>>
>>52339895
Immovable Rod
Lantern of Revealing
Sending Stones
Stone of Good Luck
Weapon of Pumpkin Warning
>>
>>52340271
reddit.com/r/unearthedarcana
>>52340301
Make it optionally slashing or bludgeoning?
>>
>>52340312
Plate armour is 1500 gold

Half plate is half that for 1 point less AC, and you get initiative acrobatics stealth sleight of hand and the most common save in the game (next to wis atleast)
>>
>>52340394
Could work, kinda want to keep the fluff of the Claws though. I think I'll keep it how it is.

Also I would post it there but I'm not making a reddit account just for that.
>>
>>52340405
I agree, i like it how it is now.
>>
>>52340374
>Doubly so not after your first level or two when you can afford plate.

What fucking kind of campaigns are you in?

The earliest I've seen plate armour in any 5e campaign was level 5, and we had to kill a hobgoblin warlord for it, and had we attempted to buy plate armour at that point we'd have been about 600 gp short
>>
>>52340433

Not campaigns where players are too poor to buy a house until they are well into being elite knights.
>>
>>52340433
A suit of Full Platemail should be no more than a few hundred GP, at most. What kind of asshole is your GM?
>>
>>52340451
>elite knights
So, level 11? Unless you think "confronting threats to cities" equals "elite knights", which means somewhere in the 5-10 range.

1-4 are explicitly "apprentice adventurers".
>>
>>52340365
Yeah mixed up threads, my bad. Was wondering where my post went.
>>
>>52340489
The kind that has read the PHB.
>>
>>52340489
>Why doesn't this 1,500 gp armor cost 400 gp!? Asshole GM!
>>
>>52340500
So have I, and the DMG I happen disagree with it, Steel Platemail would not cost more than a few hundred gold pieces, if unadorned and unenchanted, enchanted is a different story entirely as magic has to be a part of the forging process.
>>
>>52340521
That's assuming the economy and materials work the same way as it does for us.

In your setting that's fine, I personally do prefer more advanced settings with firearms and armour being pretty common. Most d&d settings will follow the rules in the PHB though.
>>
File: iStock_000017132605_Double.jpg (255KB, 1600x1075px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000017132605_Double.jpg
255KB, 1600x1075px
>>52339895
The reward is a delicious pumpkin pie, both in the game and in real life.
>>
>>52340517
In the real world 1500gp which would be a lot, would have bought you something like 10 or 15 suits of full plate, at most 3 suits of master level quality.
>>52340538
True, but I think it's excessive in the PHB, 1500gp is quite a few pounds of gold, I think. you could buy a lot of land with that in our world back in the 13-1400's.
>>
Are 5e barbarians fun?

More so than fighters?
>>
>>52340606
They're both fun.
>>
>>52340606
Depend on your idea of fun .
Fighter get more ASI, so they have more choice in fighting style (Mounted,PAM,Archery) or just spend them in silly stuff like Actor or Ritual Caster.
>>
>>52340606
Fuck yeah they're fun. While raging you take half physical damage. If you roll well for stats you probably got 18 ac with a shield or 16 without, at a very low level. And it doesn't even fucking matter because by a few levels in youll have 90 hp and physical does half! Theres a specialization that gives you half damage to every type of damage! by level 12 youll probably have 200hp and then "The dragon deals 15d8 fire damage to you since you jumped off the cliff and challenged his pussy ass" "Pfft whatever, i tank it." then at high level you have higher ac than anyone else in the game, and insane health and damage reduction.
>>
>>52340606
Nothing will ever beat being the guy everyone turns to when they something pulled, pushed, broken, snapped, demolished, thrown, stomped, climbed and just general hitting shit harder then anyone else without magic.
>>
What was the consensus for the Treachery Paladin UA?

It's perfect for my exiled Drow Paladin, but it does look rather OP
>>
>>52337732
for you
>>
>>52340680
It's not OP until it's capstone but it is definitely Powerful. Like top tier powerful.
>>
>>52337596
>>52337672
TYP PDF FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>52340680
Ask DM, otherwise Vengeance if you're going evil, vengeance upon every other elf for your races exile.
>>
>>52340703
April 4th faggot.
>>
>>52340606
Both boil down to taking the attack action every turn. If repetitive tasks really get your rocks off, then they will be fun.
>>
player seems not invested in story and group dynamic at all, spends most time on phone, unironically hurts other players

what do? he is a long-time friend, but I dread these talks.
>>
>>52340737
Either talk to him, or ask the group to vote on a no phones policy.
>>
>>52340737
put phone in basket, take out of room, if he refuses, tell him sorry, you can no longer play, don't be a bitch.
>>
>>52340606
Fun is what you make of it. Even at level 1 our barbarian is having loads of fun, since he tears the spine out of every goblin we fell and wears them in some shape or form.
>>
>>52337544
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD487b3wci4&ab_channel=AccioNox

What's the craziest Red Dragon you have ever fought?
>>
>>52340753
>>52340747
The problem is, we use phones for secret DM questions or telepathy from the doll.

I can just ask him to put it away when we are not communicating though.
>>
>>52340753
That's count as theft of personal property and you could go to jail for that.

IIRC, there was a 12-years old girl who sue their parent for a case like this.
>>
>>52340834
>I can just ask him to put it away
what a revelation
>>
>>52340834
Learn to write.
>>52340835
I didn't say keep the fucking thing, and thats absurd, if true, the plan would be in her parents name and thus they'd own the phones.
>>
>>52340835
>12-years old
Are you from Europe or something?
>>
>>52340835
that isn't theft, nor is it conversion. What you read was fake or misleading news.

t. Lawfag.
>>
>>52340861
>>52340847
Pretty sure they could still sue you for non consent or being force to give up their possession.

The law are crazy.
>>
>>52340834
Use positive reinforcement anon. Train your players like you would train a dog.

Every 5 minute that he didn't pick up his phone, he get 1% of exp or loots or something.
>>
>>52340874
No, for example: they were invited to My home they either give up the phone until the session is over, or get the fuck out, obviously with their phone. In that case, no law is broken, no rights or privileges violated, if they tried to sue me over something stupid like that, they'd disappear and never be found.
>>
>>52340360
Sure, but its 100% DM's discretion whether they can use it.
>>
>>52340874
I don't know about whatever shithole european commistan you come from, but here in america, no.

Being asked to put your phone in a basket before attending a completely voluntary social gathering is far from nonconsensual.

t. lawfag
>>
>>52340700
>>52340704
DM says its coo

None of the other players know, they all think he's vengeance. And they don't know shit about the game and dont read the book so I think I can actually hide it from them (albeit for little reason)

How edgy/ deviantart is a Drow Paladin masquerading as an Eladrin who always wears a dark, tinted mask (to hide face/get past the brightness weakness of the Drow), who was imprisoned in a magic void for several hundred years by the Eladrin for crimes against all Elvenkind and was just rescued by the unsuspecting PCs who have no idea who/what he is?
>>
>>52340594
Okay, if you wanna rebalance currency metrics for your game that's fine, but don't go "you don't houserule? SHIT TIER DM"
>>
>>52340938
Eh somewhat, it's not all that bad, play whats fun for you.
>>52340947
I said his DM was an asshole, I never said he was a shit DM, you can be an asshoe and a good Dm both.
>>
>>52340938
So unbelievably edgy it isn't even funny. Don't make the imprisonment be a few hundred years because that would imply a few hundred years of training himself. Make it a year or two and some other slight they committed against him.

Why even hide the fact you're treachery? If it's a hatred against Eladrin just say it's a reskined treachery oath. Also holy fuck no matter what you do with that it's edgy and deviantart, you sure there's nothing else you want to play with Treachery? I can offer some other ideas is you're willing.
>>
File: original.jpg.20.jpg (110KB, 600x760px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg.20.jpg
110KB, 600x760px
The digital maps for Tales from the Yawning Portal are now in the Mega.

Tomorrow: Roll20 tokens (have to rename and organize them), Roll20 art assets (same as before), adding the new magic items and stat blocks to 5etools, and scanning the physical book.

The vast majority of the Roll20 MM tokens are in my possession now too, I just need to go through, rename, and zip all of them.
>>
>>52340957
Yes anon, DMs who don't homebrew according to your preferences are assholes.
>>
Hey megaanon, any chance you plan to add Planeshift races (Probably not Human variants though) to the tools?
>>
>>52340926
> merrifat making fun of other country
Hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>52340974
Fucking sweet, thanks anon
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
Napoleonic Gobbos with Goblin sounding like various dialects of French, y/n?
>>
I can't tell if the UA Warforged is good or garbage.

>Only +1 CON/STR
>But you get +1 AC (Instead of a flat calculation like most races) and no need to sleep or breathe
>>
How do you go about running a game online for completely new players? I've played a fair bit and one of them has played like 3 sessions but I was thinking of getting some online friends together for a Roll20 game.

I guess telling them to read the book's a good idea, also banning UA for the first game.

I'm also only a half decent DM even in person so I was wondering if people had tips for doing it onlin? It'll be text only and I think I'm going to run Sunless Citadel.
>>
>>52341084
Garbage
>>
>>52341084
I'd call it situational. Play a Warforged Forge Cleric with a dip in Fighter and a feat on Heavy Armour master if you wanna be super AC man.
>>
>>52341088
Do a tutorial session that goes over the very basic parts of D&D: social, exploration, and combat.

Actually the intro to Lost Mine of Phandelver is basically perfect for that.
>start in a bar talking to Gundren
>head out and let them choose the pace they take
>run the goblin encounter and the rest

Help them make their characters and hold their hands the whole way. Explain things well and if they're really into it they should turn out to be good players.
>>
>>52340995
They may very well be, but I recognize that they might not be, but I still think he's an asshole for not reducing the price or instead and more reasonably perhaps giving the party more gold so they could afford it, but thats my opinion.
>>
>>52341100
The one who played 3 sessions has actually been in a game I DM'd when I lived near him for LMoP. One thing I have trouble with is NPC's, often I kinda seize up and don't really know how to make their responses seem reasonable. Guess I'll work on that.

Also the one with experience is excited, one's kinda into it and one's a little grudging about me dragging him into this. He is my boyfriend. I obviously don't plan to favor him or anything because he's can handle a character dying but I am worried he might not be into it.
>>
>>52341102
Ok. It just makes you come off as petulant and suffering from entitlement mentality, though.
>>
>>52341153
Not really, I disagree with two of his decisions, as a Forever DM myself, I don't hold back the gold, I hold back magic items, tailor them specifically to the character and make them earn them, including magical platemail.
>>
>>52340606
Yes. Barbs say "no, fuck you" to any attempt to damage them

great for when you have asshole dms
>>
>>52339525

I was thinking that it would be enough to have more arrays than people, that way if there was a real dog they could just not take that.
>>
>>52338504
This is not what the books tell you to do, but enjoy being stuck up about a tabletop RPG.
>>
>>52339525

Also, I had planned them to have to decide as a group who gets what, rather than a draft pick. That way there's some asymmetry in play thanks to potential, but not definite, class/race combinations.
>>
>>52341192

I know, that's just my advice for how to deal with utterly prickish players who demand rolled stats in a game not remotely balanced around it. I'm in a 2e game right now, and we rolled for stats; and guess what, fuckin nobody or next to nobody has a modifier to combat abilities, and its perfectly fine; that's what the game is balanced around. If it used 3e, 4e, or 5e ability modifiers and attitudes, then everyone would be grossly out of wack in terms of power level with each other.

Instead of rolling for stats, if you want to duplicate the feel of "some players are absolutely crushed into the ground and some players get a massive unearned advantage" in WotC editions, you can just roll 1d3 for starting level and 1d4-2 for starting plus of an item. Its VASTLY easier to work your way out of your hole if you're a level 1 dude with a cursed -1 sword with a level 3 friend with a +2 sword than it is to make up for the difference having 6 fewer stat points in your main stats means (or whatever).
>>
Does a Ring of Mind Shielding protect the wearer from Modify Memory?
>>
> use animate dead on goblin corpse
> it rise up as medium size skeleton
???
>>
Whats this adventurers league I hear about? Seems interesting.
>>
>>52341239
Most non-shit DMs apply the Skelington template to whatever you res, so using it on something like a Minotaur is more bang for your buck.
>>
>>52341240
WotC sanctioned game for poor sod who can't find an acrual group.
>>
>>52341249
No such template in 5e. Also minotaur is not a small or medium humanoid.
>>
>>52341249
>take crazy-go-nuts powerful spell
>give it a much needed boost to make it zomgwtf
>>
>>52340433
A dex character has to have a +5 modifier to have the same AC as splint, the step below plate.
Dex giving good ac is a poor meme.
>>
>>52341265
Unless you are a mystic
>>
>>52341288
I feel like
>unless you are a mystic
is going to apply to a lot of questions from now on.
>>
>>52341292
Unless I am a mystic, then I can make you think that is not that case.
>>
>Shadow dragons eat almost anything. Their favorite food is rotting carrion, though they often kill for sport. Slain victims are left to decay until they become suitably foul. These dragons are equally fond of frost-killed, waterlogged, or salt-poisoned plants.

If you're ever afraid of shadow dragon attack, just bring a wheelbarrow full of fucking nasty, soggy, partially frozen lettuce.
>>
>>52340133
I like that you're working on a badger homebrew for barb. I mean, I just renamed all of bear to badger for my gnome barb but it's cool you're putting in effort, and I'd use the totem path you made if I could go back.
>>
>>52341262
Within reason of course.

So say you res an Ogre or something big and beefy. It'd hit harder and be big, but still only have like 20 HP max.
>>
>>52338095
How is it so powerful? Is it the advantage or is there something I'm not seeing?
>>
>tfw gifted a set of plate armor at level 3 by a lord for saving his daughter from a bandit raid on her convoy
>Everyone in the group gets some cool shit
>Three encounters later a cloud giant that one shot our cleric out of the blue robs us blind, takes all our weapons, armor, and the Paladins bag of holding
That was a DMs way of saying fuck you for MinMaxing our characters to shit. Honestly we kind of deserved it, especially our rogue, so hopefully my group cuts the shit from now on.
>>
>>52341336
Why are you all minmaxing? just roll with what you get, more fun that way, for me anyway
>>
>>52340847
What is wrong with the way I write?
>>
>>52341316
Thanks. It's nice to hear that. Second homebrew I've ever done so woohoo.

>>52341333
I think it's the fact it's a perfect copy. Logically there would be a 50/50 chance it would attack you or the copy if you're next to each other. Also RAW there's nothing stopping it from hitting the Illusion multiple times thinking it's you. That plus Mirror Image makes you a very hard person to hit for very little resources used.
>>
>>52340900
I like this idea. Might use it on my own players...
>>
>>52341352
I think he's saying you should just handwrite notes and pass them to the DM.
>>
>>52341352
By that I meant, learn to write, on paper, you know pass notes like you did in highschool?
>>52341362
Yep.
>>
>>52341063
Ohgodyes
>>
>>52341355
As a DM how do i even handle duplicity? I've got a decent feeling that once my player catches on, he'll just stand next to something with it active and make both of them react to any attack. If the enemy sees them both bleeding and getting hurt then what? Flip a coin?
>>
>>52341368
>>52341362
Figured it out right after I posted it. That could be the best idea though, I did that for a while, but I am a slow writer so I thought typing might be faster. What a fool I was, not anticipating this drama.
>>
>>52341336
>it's okay that my DM passively aggressively punished us for trying to be strong
Stockholm syndrome everybody

Though seriously tell your DM to fuck off, if everyone's minmaxing then just make the enemies tougher, instead of being a fucking weine and having some way too tough asshole showing up and stealing your shit
>rogue
>minmaxing
and you+your DM are retarded too, they can't minmax beyond "I hide with +9 to it before I stab the fucker, so I get advantage and can land the sneak attack"
>>
>>52341389
Only thing I could tell you is, practice.
>>
>>52341383
I guess yeah flip a coin. A trick I managed to get away with was running it to the backlines to hit an archer or caster with an Inflict Wounds. They would logically think this copy is a real threat and try to hit it with something while it either fakes getting hit or dodges.

Honestly a Wisdom or Intelligence Save against it after trying to hit it is a good idea. Otherwise it's amazingly good.
>>
>>52341401
Fucking illusions man.
>>
>>52341413
Perfect Illusion made by gods man. Those are the ones to watch out for.
>>
Newbie DM here.

Im trying to modify a dungeon in an adventure wer are going through with a level 4 party. I want to give them a tough fight against a weak enemy to show off the combat map.

The idea is that they will be hit with an entangle and maybe plauge, and just get peppered with rocks.

Any idea how I can make up a low level spellcasting monster? Like a gnoll or something
>>
>>52341439
Lizardfolk shaman sounds good.
>>
How is the Rogue's Swashbuckler archetype supposed to work?
>>
Can rogue use slashing weapons(longswords, scimitars) and hand crossbows effectively or only thrusting weapons are good for them?
>>
File: Capture.png (903KB, 1028x629px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
903KB, 1028x629px
There isn't enough art for 5e Firbolgs for character references.

Does this seem decent for proportions or are they all giant-headed muppets like the one in Volos?
>>
>>52341442
cool, good idea>>52341442
sounds perfect. cheers
>>
>>52341458
1. You shank people, then you can dash to safety.
2. You have limitless, nonmagical Charm Person with no consequence for failure -- essentially, its safe to say all NPCs and creatures that are not specifically hostile will treat you as friendly, as long as you're actively talking. You can also taunt the guy you're leading on a merry goose chase to protect your friends.
3. A guy will arrive to screech at you for not playing a fighter, an arcane trickster, etc.
4. At unreasonably high levels, you can do the grapple rogue thing.
>>
>>52341464
Scimitars are finesse, so you can use them with dex. Hand xbows are fine too, but they require proper draw/sheath planning to use to maximum effectiveness.
>>
>>52341489
Ah, okay. But what about that "Tojours l'Audace" stuff? Does that mean I just get sneak attacks on all melee attacks so long as what I'm attacking has no adjacent allies of mine? Does that mean I could get a sneak attack with my main weapon, and then with an offhand in the same round?
>>
>>52341490
hmm, but is there any way to use scimitars without need to use feat to gain proficiency in them?
>>
>>52341509
Ask your DM nicely to trade your Longsword proficiency for it since you'll never use it.
>>
>>52341507
No, just one a round, though if you miss, you can use a bonus action to attack.
>>
>>52341489
>A guy will arrive to screech at you for not playing a fighter, an arcane trickster, etc.

Don't suppose the Arcane Trickster guy will show up tonight? I like him.

>>52341458
Basically a Rogue who can do some 1v1 straight combat pretty well. Even though it's minmaxy, working a level of Dragon Sorcerer is flavorful and very powerful.
>>
>>52341525
I just kinda wanted to use it for RP reasons, since it seems the archetype which most closely resembles a duelist, and I'm trying to play a flamboyant rapier/main gauche type of rogue. Does it stack up very well mechanically against the other archetypes? I won't be an albatross around my party's neck, will I?
>>
>>52341540
You will be great. IT's a powerful option and has great RP. If you want to be less dashing swordsman and more duelist then a Battlemaster's worth a look as well.

Swashbuckler's are my second favorite option though.
>>
>>52341540
I'm not current on the meta, but Swashbuckler seems at least decent to me. It won't have the versatility of the Arcane Trickster, but it has several nice tricks. Cha + Dex to Init isn't shabby. If I'm not mistaken, the Swashbuckler's method of qualifying for Sneak Attack(engage an enemy one on one) is in addition to the default Rogue methods, giving you some flexibility. Overall, I'd take it over Assassin or Mastermind, and maybe Thief, unless the concept demanded otherwise. Luckily, it fits your concept well.
>>
I already use Speed Factor in my games and was wondering is it would be to much of a dick move to add this rule for people casting a spell of 4th level or higher.

After they declare it and figure out their initiative like possible, any attacks that hit them before they cast it requires a Concentration Save or the spell fails.

With spells failing I was thinking of not making it cost a slot though because casters don't get as many in this edition.
>>
>>52341594
Pretty brutal, 5e just isn't balanced around easily disrupted spells like that. In AD&D, interrupting casting times was in many cases like a saving throw unto itself, and was balanced around that sort of thing.

Are you having actual troubles with casters or is this just from caster supremacy memeing?
>>
>>52341594
Your casters won't like it, and it has the potential to be a fun ruiner, but it will(hopefully) encourage smarter and more cautious play. Casters will still be able to end encounters in a single spell, but will need help to do so safely, and may spend more time setting up circumstances to ensure safe casting than they do actually casting.
>>
>>52341613
>>52341620
I'm not having a big issue with them but a little bit. It's more of the fact the Wizard is a much more skilled player then the others and argues RAW and RAI to get his way plus does stupid shit once he gets more powerful spells. He is an Illusionist so it most likely will just make him a bit more cautious and it'll be fine. I am worried what it could do to other casters though.
>>
>>52341627
Yeah, I guess its a way to severely punish an extreme minmaxer, but it totally fucks up everyone else.
>>
>>52341636
The other caster is a bard and I think he's casted 3 spells in combat from levels 1-6. He uses them all for Disguise Self, Suggestion, Charm Person and so on.

Honestly love him as a player because he's such a classic bard and always has the most creative solution to something.
>>
>>52341594
>>52341627
>After they declare it and figure out their initiative like possible, any attacks that hit them before they cast it requires a Concentration Save or the spell fails.

This already exists, albeit only when casting spells that take longer than 1 action. When the spell fails this way it does not use up the spell slot.
>>
>>52341336
Your DM sounds like a loser

Are you tracking the cloud giant to kill him and get your stuff back

how did a 24 foot tall giant sneak up on you
>>
File: hakan.png (207KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
hakan.png
207KB, 326x500px
What circle spells would you guys think make sense for an oil based Druid?

I have an idea for an oil well Druid and was thinking of just using the Swamp one to represent it, but i also thought about maybe putting together a circle spell list to run by the DM as well. Any ideas? Grease is a certainty at least.

Pic is only oil related image i have.
>>
>>52341788
Uhh oil as in the fossil fuel?
>>
>>52341804
Yep.
>>
>>52338648
That's fine. This is one of the least scummy "scummy" things to do in 5e and it won't break anything.

>>52339867
Cleric Bard and Rogue are the 3 big official classes that can fill any party role in my mind (gotta love that Healer thief)

>>52340594
Dnd economics straight out don't work as an economical system and if you're trying to fix it, making god armor cheaper is the least of your worries

>>52341084
I've sort of internalized them as poor design, don't exist in my world anyway so I don't have to actively worry too much about it
Simplifying a bit, you're either in early levels where +1 AC is signifigantly worse than +2 Dex, so the whole race is pretty bad, or you're in late levels where people are in plate and stats are maxed, and you have racial +1 gamebreaking. Not horribly broken broken, but definitely broken

>>52341479
I definitely like less human looking nonhumans, but that's just me

>>52341507
You're looking at the UA. Use the SCAG swashbuckler instead, either from the book mega or 5etools.
Flavor backing is that you excel in one on one combat. Sneak attack is once/turn, as per regular rogues
>>
>>52339867
Druids.

>Spellcasting
>Tanking
>Healing
>Damage
>Non-combat utility

OR

Warlocks
>Consistent damage
>Spellcasting
>Non-combat utility
>Fucking pushback on every attack
>Seriously, pushback
>Nobody's ever going to get close to you
>Easy to pick up 'moderately armoured' for a massive boost to AC
>>
>>52341863
Forgot to mention on druids
>Stealthy as fuck, pass without trace, fly everywhere, et cetera

Also you didn't say UA wasn't allowed so you can obtain a wand of magic missile and nuclear druid shit up. Or take a piss-poor level 1 magic missile with a magic initiate feat, I guess.
>>
>>52341812
>>52341788
What..Do they even do with the oil?

Use it for cooking poisonous food to kill people with?

In any case, grease all day every day. And slow or haste. Sleet storm.
>>
>>52341893
not oilanon, but I could especially dig oil druid in a mad max esque setting
>>
>>52341893
>>52341788
Thinking about it further, oil stuff would be better suited as a rather oddly specific artificer archetype that uses flamethrowers, makes oil slicks and maybe blows things up. And then it wouldn't be oil, it'd be some sort of 'explosives expert' sort of thing that's tentatively avoiding gunsmith and alchemist which are both already like that.

In fact, why not just play an alchemist?

>>52341919
I suppose. It really depends on the setting, because by standard nobody even gives a fuck about oil.
It might make sense that some magic could harness the power of burning long-dead seacreatures into the atmosphere for power, but that sounds more like a ranger or wizard or artificer or something.
>>
>>52341928
Incidentally, fire clerics in Dark Sun like to use only fire-related weaponry; flaming oil, torches, and weapons covered in flaming liquid or that have been superheated, obviously this doesn't tend to go easy on a weapon's life expectancy.
>>
From what I've read, Inertial Armor is considered OP, and that being self only is no balance to a Mage Armor, but more AC. Would it be better as a Barkskin effect? That is, "For the duration, your AC cannot be lower that 14+Dex."? That way, shields and other armor boosters couldn't propel it higher.
>>
>>52341946
Yeah. Something like that seems more appropriate.

The problem with an oil druid isn't even that they're fucking up the atmosphere or anything, it's more just that
1. You're doing something similar to mining resources (You've gotta drill down into the reservoir in the first place, at least)
2. The resources you're using recycle over a very, very long period of time. You can't just replant an oil well like you can a tree.
3. In a lot of settings, people probably know little about or barely care about underground oil.
4. I'm pretty sure the industrial processes to make crude oil into something useful aren't awfully druidic.
5. If you're in a swamp and you're getting oil with low technology, you're probably going to pollute the entire area with toxic waste.

On the other hand, for it
1. You only need a tiny bit of oil. (However, this still sounds like it could catalyze the construction of oil-based industry should people find it.)
2. Nature doesn't use the oil at all (But then, nature hardly uses deep underground deposits, right?)
3. In the right settings, you might get oil. (But in those settings, that oil is likely going to be something more tied to civilization abusing nature than anything.)
4. You could quite logically harness fuel as a druid as a source of power. (So could a wizard.)
I think it'd be best to make an artificer, make the level 6 pet have a flamethrower, have some sort of grease thing, use alchemist's fire a lot and all that.
>>
File: 1488437314103.jpg (35KB, 520x371px) Image search: [Google]
1488437314103.jpg
35KB, 520x371px
>>52340974
You're awesome.
>>
Front line beefhead Arcana Cleric (Shield and Quarterstaff, Fighter 2/Druid1/Arcana Cleric X)

With my first ASI (At 7) do I take
>ASI (WIS or CON)
>Heavy Armor Master
>Sentinel, PAM, or some other form of extra swings
>>
>>52341788
How's this:

Tar Pit
Druid Level Circle Spells
3rd arms of hadar, grease, hold person
5th animate dead, stinking cloud
7th Evard's black tentacles, hallucinatory terrain
9th hold monster, transmute rock

(You get 2 first level and 1 second level spell instead of 2 second level ones, because how could you pass up grease?)
>>
>>52338149
>tips for running a sandbox
Remember the names Schroedinger, Chekhov, and Samus.

>Schroedinger
Everything on the map is in a state of existence and non-existence. Their actions define the world around them.

>Chekhov
Anything mentioned has a potential significance.

>Samus
If they can't get somewhere now, there should be a way for them to make or earn passage later.
>>
>>52342081
Oh also-

Is it better to only do a 1 level dip as Fighter for armor and fightman style, or 2 for Action Surge?
>>
>>52342083

>Tar Pit

Actually that's pretty damn clever. Love the spell selection
>>
>>52342083
Animate Dead on a class with short rest slot recharges seems like a problem waiting to happen, I'd suggest finding something else.
>>
>>52342095
Yeah, you might want to convince your GM to let you raise beasts with Animate Dead, because how can you pass up sabertooth skeletons?
>>
>>52342103
That's a good point.

Replace it with wall of (oil) sand maybe?
>>
>>52341840
>Use the SCAG swashbuckler instead

Why? What's the difference between the two?
>>
>>52342103
Wizard has the same Recharge. Why does everyone forget that?

>>52342135
Had some Nerf because it was a bit bonkers.
>>
>>52342103
Would water breathing work in a tarpit? Or only water?
>>
>>52340061
Throw monks as mooks for some of the big bads. Let those arrows come back at him
>>
>>52342103
Land Druids only have Arcane Recovery, like Wizards. What is the problem here?
>>
>>52342141
>>52342155
I hadn't looked at land druid in ages, with it being once/long rest it would be fine.
>>
>>52342103
Wizards already have that with Arcane Recovery.
>>
>>52341458
At level 3, it's literally mobile without the +10ft speed, +CHA to initiative and as long as you fight in melee you pretty much always (With very, very few exceptions) get your sneak attack.
At level 7 or 9 or whenever it is you get your second thing, you get at-will nonmagical charm person on non-hostile targets and at-will compelled duel (Can't check if it's 100% compelled duel because fucking .pdf isn't loading)
Anything at levels later than that doesn't really matter.

That's all it really is.

It's barely much different from a melee Arcane Trickster. You basically just walk up to shit, poke shit then run away, then walk back up to shit and poke shit then run away, then walk back up and poke shit. And run away.
>>
How do I get good at rolling dice? I'm on my first campaign, didn't succeed on a single attack roll between levels 2-5, my saving throws are shit, and the Dice Gods love giving me the fucking natural 1.
People poke fun at it and it's pretty hilarious, but should I just bite the pillow and get Lucky? I've heard it's a general feat, but it wouldn't make loads of sense for someone with shit luck.

>>52342135
UA is playtest material of wildly varying quality, SCAG is an official release. Pretty much.
>>
>>52342141
>>52342155
>>52342161
>>52342166
Ah good.

Tar zombies ahoy.
>>
After reading Volo's, I've been itching to do something with Hags in my game. A good opportunity popped up, since the party's going to be going to the coast, and there's a location with a lot of shipwrecks. Obviously a good place to plop a Sea Hag's lair in. Probably they're going to need to get something from a wrecked ship, only to find out there's a Hag there.

The main problem is that the party's already level 4, and there's 6 of them around. So obviously a solitary CR 2 monster in a straight fight is going to die pretty much instantly. Still, I wanna do it, so I was wondering how I could make it more intresting with additional monsters and a battlefield that supports hit-and-run action and being a sneaky asshole. Probably stuff like the hold being a mess with holes that open out into the sea, piles of debris everywhere and so on.

Any suggestions for minion monsters? They don't necessarily need to be weaker than the Hag, provided it feels sensible. Something like a sea troll is just dandy, for example. Been thinking of things like:

-Decapitated (shrivelled) heads hanging from their hair around the deck. They'll obviously come alive as Vargoulles when the party approaches.

- Drowned corpses (ghouls) that lurk under the surface of the water in the hold. Sea Spawn would also work.

- Maybe the aforementioned troll, possibly as the decrepit hag's son. Will be a bitch to kill without acid, especially if it can just retreat back to water.

- Piles of seaweed coming alive as Vine Blights to menace the party and tie someone up before pulling them down into the waves.

- A Slithering Tracker as some sort of a horrible half-fleshy, half-watery ooze (basically, some poor half-liquified shmuck turned into a slave minion) to mess things up.

And so on. Likely I won't use all the ideas, since that would be busy and confusing. But I feel there's a lot of flavorful possibilities.

Any further suggestions that would fit a decrepit, creepy Sea Hag's shipwreck lair?
>>
>>52342179
I'd say lucky isn't bad if you don't already have some other feat you should be getting right now or if you don't rely on ASIs a ton.

So don't bother if you're a monk (Too ASI reliant) or a paladin (Better to get +cha probably) or a fighter (Until you've gotten the feats you need) or a non-multiclassed barbarian (until you've gotten the feats you need) or a dex barbarian/barbarogue (Too ASI dependent and has some pretty good saves anyway) or.. Whatever.
>>
>>52342179
Check your dice in warm salt water. They might be weighted like ass. Get new ones, preferably not Chessex.

Another way is to be clever and try to gain advantage on attacks. Get higher ground, knock down, grapple, be creative.
>>
>>52342081
>>52342094

Feels too spread out. What's Druid for, Shillelagh?
>>
>>52342227
It's Shieldstaff PAM build, of course it's Shillelagh.
>>
>>52342179

Are you always using the same dice? Due to the way they're made (and the fact you're not going to be getting perfect, crisp geometrical shapes for less than a dollar a piece) some dice can be horribly lopsided and seriously skew probabilities.

If you are, I'd first look into trying out a different set of dice. Any set, really.

If you aren't always using the same dice, and the problem isn't that your character's stats are all under 10, then I guess you've just had really bad luck. Lucky isn't a bad feat at all if you want to improve your chances of success (especially since, if using crit successes and fumbles, there's always a possibility that even the surest thing you're doing can fail terribly and ruin everything).
>>
>>52342227
Character backstory mostly else I'd take Magic Initiate, otherwise access to any level 1 Druid spell, 2 cantrips (So yes shillelagh, other one being Thorn Whip) and Druidic as a language.

imo unless you have some super-specific build where every level counts Druid as a level 1 dip is better than using an ASI on Magic Initiate.
>>
>>52342227
I guess I'll go into specifics.
>Fightman for Heavy Armor since Arcana doesn't get it, also gives Fighting Style (Defense probably), 2nd dip is for Action Surge because Action Surge is hella strong for a dip, still on the fence about going 2 or 1 level dip in fighter
>Druid 1, see >>52342256
>Arcana X, take Booming Blade and Sword Burst as cantrips, at 8 add WIS to damage dealt with them

>Play as a typical frontline cleric but without needing to use spell slots on attacks, so can save them for healing/Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardian spam
>>
>>52342081
I suppose it works.

Since arcana cleric gives you GFB+BB, you get shillelagh, then fighter gives heavy armour - not that you really need heavy armour at all. Then action surge... +1 health.

I'd say that unless you have a stat to spare you migt as well ditch fighter because you don't really need the heavy armour for +1 AC so much. Focus on getting cleric's +wis to damage.
Though I suppose if you don't take levels of fighter early on you don't get the +1 HP, you don't get con save proficiency and you don't need to level cleric a lot because you're not getting a boost at level 14 like others do with their divine strikes.

Actually, yeah, fighter might be alright, then. I suppose. It's one way of gishing rather than another, and if you like the idea of being slightly druid and fightery while clericy and wizardy (What a clusterfuck) then I'd say it isn't a bad idea over other similar gish ideas.
>>
>>52342204
Well, make it a coven of Sea Hags, which at least bumps them up to cr 4. (They can give their eye to their troll son)

Stick in some scarecrows, made from half rotten timbers and encrusted with barnacles.

A shambling mound from a heap of seaweed, a living Sargasso trying to engulf them.
>>
>>52342081
>>52342280
Oh, anyway, back to the question at hand -

PAM isn't so useful because the bonus action doesn't work with GFB/BB and you won't get your bonus at level 8 to reaction attacks either.

If you're only up to 14 strength, you could take heavy armour master to get your the required strength for plate armour, I suppose.
But otherwise...
I'd up wisdom instead.

Wisdom increases your damage up to three times (+Damage from weapon, +damage from GFB, +damage from potent spellcasting) and is your to-hit stat AND is your spellcasting stat, and gives better saves, and gives better perception...
>>
>>52342213
Sword-'n-Board Devotion Paladin. Currently level 6, torn between maxing out STR and CHA first (which I really want to do eventually, anyways: Aura of Protection's fucking bonkers) or maybe getting Shield Master/Mounted Combatant for fun. Or Inspiring Leader; the gains from that are huge.

If it helps any, my character has Resilient (CON) and Sentinel. Able to get one more feat if I'm to max out both primary stats.
It's fortunate that I'm able to pull my weight in other ways.

>>52342217
>>52342244
We play online, funnily enough. Our dicebot must be thirsting for blood, I guess.
Lately been entertaining the idea of going full shove-bot to enable our Battlemaster and Rogue, and Shield master would help tons to make the option actually legit.

Still not sure what to do with my next ASI, but thanks for the input.
>>
>>52342338
I mean, the optimal thing to do would be to take PAM and use a quarterstaff. Though if you don't have duelling swapping out for a 10ft polearm would work well with sentinel.

It's not worth upping your strength if you're only sword-and-board. Upping your strength might've been worth it if you had PAM, though getting heavy armour master isn't such a bad idea if you have an odd-numbered strength.

I suppose lucky wouldn't be the worst thing to get, but as a paladin you don't really need lucky for attacks because
A) Your attacks already don't mean much with sword and board
and
B) You have smites, which are gauranteed to work as long as you hit SOMETIMES
You don't really need lucky for saves because... Yeah, immune to charm, immune to frighten, wis save proficiency, con save proficiency, aura of protection.

I'd just go for upping charisma and being supportive.
>>
>>52342338
>>52342406
Oh, whoops, not to mention devotion gets +to hit on sacred weapon anyway from charisma. Charisma seems like a good bet.

Lucky definitely wouldn't be a waste of a feat, but it wouldn't be a particularly strong choice either unless you have very short adventuring days meaning you refresh your lucky often.

Actually, yeah, if you long rest a lot then lucky could actually be pretty good.
>>
>>52342413
>>52342406
>>52342338
Fuck, right, missed that last one.

Shield master isn't a bad option either now I think about it, so I'd say get:

+2 Cha
or
Shield Master
or
PAM

Depending on tastes. Don't give into some dice bot trying to make you go lucky.
>>
If I use the Death Cleric's Channel Divinity with Vampiric Touch, do I regain health from my Channel Divinity damage?
>>
>>52342496
I would say so.

You're dealing extra necrotic damage. It doesn't say that it adds to the damage or the damage roll, but considering the channel divinity doesn't take a bonus or other action to use it's presumably adding damage to the spell rather than being a seperate effect.
>>
>>52342532
Well considering it doesn't need to be prepared for me I'm going to keep it around as my "Oh shit someone's near me" spell over Inflict Wounds. A bit less damage on the first round in exchange for multiply attacks and some emergency health sounds good.
>>
>>52342569
It's concentration, but if you upcast it you can end up doing quite a lot of damage every turn as well as having that heal effect.

But I guess if you compare to, say, spiritual guardians, it's less effective against a group of enemies

Did you check if there's sage advice on vampiric touch + divinity?
>>
>>52342406
>>52342413
>>52342434
Yeah, I'll pass on PAM, our Fighter's got that schtick covered with a reach weapon already. Never really liked polearms much to begin with, so it's not like I went into this expecting to be optimal.
CHA to a +4 modifier at level 8 sounded like the less conventional choice, but it's still a good pick as you say. I might do just that, since it'd be useful no matter how hard the dice decide to fuck me over. Sounds legit.

Guess I've just been unlucky, but at least now I feel less like a shitter. Godspeed, and thanks a bunch for the pointers.
>>
Any of my fellow DMs have thoughts on conversions for custom monsters from 3.x to 5e? I'm wondering hwo much work I'll have to do for converting some of these encounters before jumping into this module.
>>
>>52342617
Are the DMG guidelines insufficient?
>>
>>52342606
Yep it works. Guess it's good against a single boss enemy because even if I miss I can try again and don't waste the Channel Divinity.
>>
>>52342617
May be easier to start from the concept and work from that.

What monsters?
>>
Once a Warlock reaches 9th level and has the Invocation that allows them to cast bestow curse, they can use Hex, Bestow Curse and EB to have 1d10+1d6+1d8+5 per blast. Might not be worth the invocation though.
>>
>>52342694
>bestow curse and hex
>at the same time
do you even concentration
>>
>>52342617
I've pulled foulspawn from 4e to 5e and it wasn't terrible, main thing is making sure to change the + for stats and finding a rough equivalent for + to hit on spells and the like.
>>
I'm tempted to make an Eldritch Knight so that I can bond with a Greatsword and a Longbow. Rushing through the battlefield swapping incessantly, dropping the weapons whenever and summoning whatever one I want each turn for a bonus action.

Someone tell me why this is a bad idea. It sounds so ridiculously fun in my head.
>>
>>52342707
Read what bestow curses scaling does, and what happens at level 9 on a Warlock.
>>
>>52342715
You're probably never going to be in a situation where you need to do that.
>>
>>52338095

But bards get the expertise on Deception and Stealth and Persuasion and Insight, and the Charisma necessary to make them beyond mortals with those skills, and the cutting words to add insult to injury

They are almost better healers (thanks to Aura of Vitality) better stealthers, and thanks to instrument of the bards, much better glamorours..
>>
I think i'm going to go through with my plan to have dumb names for all the races.

humans -> folk
dwarves -> duorves
elves -> ilves
halflings, kobolds, goblins -> vermin
>>
>>52342807
It's retarded and is just going to confuse your players.
>>
File: kharn.png (431KB, 383x788px) Image search: [Google]
kharn.png
431KB, 383x788px
>>52342631
>>52342646
Thankfully most of this mod (Red Hand of Doom) has been just easy for substitution but now its reached the point where 3.x nonsense starts to show. I found a sort of DM's Handbook for the adventure where even they suggest different builds with Tome of Battle for the NPC as well. I'm considering tossing it in the bin and just plucking from the interesting builds from Volo's Guide since this encounter is EL12 between the NPC, two giants, and four ogres and I have a feeling that won't translate easily in challenge to 5e.

>>52342709
Sound advice, and iirc 4e had its share of jank math for MM1.
>>
>>52342824
Final fantasy gets away with it."Humes and Elvaan" in FFXI, "Hyur and Elezen" in FFXIV.
>>
>>52342807
>duorves & ilves

why the simple contrarianism?

folk and vermin are fine
>>
File: tiamat cleric2.jpg (51KB, 400x515px) Image search: [Google]
tiamat cleric2.jpg
51KB, 400x515px
>>52342832
why not just have him be a Hobgoblin Devastator from Volo's? Both will likely fight just by spewing large amounts of energy damage fucking everywhere.
>>
>>52342760

And there's the multiclassing potential with archfey Warlock. Get more glam mirror image and all that good shit for them same spell casting ability bonus
>>
>>52342607
I'm afraid you're a lot less of a damage dealer without PAM. Once you get improved divine smite, it's
(1d8+STR+1d8)*2 for longsword but not requiring feats, with two chances to crit for crit smites a round,
Versus
(1d6+STR+1d8)*2 + (1d4+STR+1d8) + possible (1d8+STR+1d8)*2

But since you had sentinel, you could use a polearm to stop an enemy 10ft away from you to make it awkward for them to attack you.
But, I guess sentinel already offers you a potenital reaction attack anyway.

Shield master actually sounds really good, to be honest. Since you don't do a lot of damage, you can shove an enemy as a bonus action then drop your longsword (Or whatever weapon it is) and use your attacks to grapple instead and keep them prone. And then you get +Whatever to dexterity, and to negate dex saves.

But, yes, as long as it's not something silly that you don't really need such as more strength.

>>52342638
It's a pretty powerful short rest smite-ish ability.

>>52342694
Yeah, probably more worth it to take things like pushback.
>>
File: poor little adventurer.jpg (520KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
poor little adventurer.jpg
520KB, 1920x600px
>>52342824
Half-right.

>>52342807
Keep the normal names used in the setting since they're incorporated into the game mechanics (unless you plan on introducing custom races, it'll just be easier for the players).
Instead write some fluff that tells WHY those races are referred to by those dumb names, like of they're duorves they were made by the Duon a clandestine group of soulsmiths seeking to create the perfect lifeform.

>>52342858
>azaar kul
thanks m8
I still haven't made it through the goblin chapter but that'll probably work. I got distracted reading about how rad
>>
>>52342733
Most of the situations I can think of where it'd get any benefit would probably require a decent sized group of enemies. Against small groups or a single large threat I guess, yeah, it's pretty lackluster.
>>
>>52342915
>how rad the giants and hags are
>>
File: 1489907595782.jpg (2KB, 125x97px) Image search: [Google]
1489907595782.jpg
2KB, 125x97px
>>52342807
>>
File: Sun Elf.png (699KB, 900x660px) Image search: [Google]
Sun Elf.png
699KB, 900x660px
What's her class, lads?
>>
Not to revisit shitposting, but we are autosaging.
>>52307540
>barbs
>constipated
When other class are dropping resources in big and little rabbit style pellets, barbarians are letting loose a ten round long stream of shit kicking.

This is a funny metaphor.
>>
Asking for a friend.

What are some fun/interesting dealings players can get into with a hag? Doesn't have to be campaign specific really, but the idea is to have the players choose to either make a deal with a hag to help with part of a quest or go about it themselves (which presents some tough moral choices that they are aware of). So something where the consequences aren't as apparent up front might be interesting.
>>
>>52343044
>What are some fun/interesting dealings players can get into with a hag?
bruh
>>
>>52343044
Well depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to take players >>52343126 has a point, someone fugs her for the help.

Another thing would be to make the deal cryptic as fuck such as "all I want is a part of one of your people's luck." Ask for something vague but can easily be ominous becuase who the fuck will know exactly what she means.
>>
>>52341562
Oh, god. I went and leafed around a bit to see what that'd look like, and this look like it's EXACTLY up my alley, though it's a bit rough that I'd need to devote three levels to multiclassing into fighter. Still, it's Seventh Sea as fuck. What should I take for Maneuvers? I was thinking Riposte, Parry, and Disarm.
>>
I'm looking to get into D&D after having a little taste of 5e recently. Where do I buy dice if I don't have a LGS within 50 miles?
>>
>>52343421
Phone app, online or driving. I used to catch a train 100km for weekly games.
>>
New thread mates >>52343438
>>
>>52343421
Remember, a scientific calculator can be made to do dice ceil(rnd*n) should do the trick.

In the old days, people used chits and pulled from a box.
>>
What's the best way to build a Hexblade? Is dual wielding feasible? I really don't want to rely on cursebringer either since I only rolled two good stats and that would make me a little MAD. Before racials I have the following:

>>
>>52341063
Hobgobbos are set up to be mongols but french would work surprisingly well for them. Make sure the not!French Foriegn Legion exists too.
>>
>>52341840
I know D&D economics don't work, I just modify as I see fit and according to what makes sense to me.
>>
>>52342839
Unless you read and understand Japanese, You don't know what they're called in either of thos shitty MMO's.
>>
>>52339867
Mystic, obviously.
Thread posts: 386
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.