[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 403
Thread images: 35

File: 1475148862888.jpg (114KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475148862888.jpg
114KB, 900x720px
>New UA: Wizards! Again!
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Give WotC your feedback on Mystic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52274545
>>
>>52281189
I do not advise you running this gimmick, at least in Curse of Strahd. There are two reasons for that.
1) Unless my memory fails me, foreign languages never come up in Curse of Strahd. You'll have no opportunities to show off your gimmick.
2) You are a cleric, and you have Comprehend Languages as a spell.
>>
>>52281286
Yah Barovian is Common language

If you want to help your friends be a Paladin and solo Atrahd or be a cleric and destroy all the undead
>>
How viable is the Oath of Treachery? What are good options for multiclassing with it?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12574247

Poll for the new UA.
>>
>>52281316
>>52281286
Damn it, I didn't see that spell. Well I guess it doesn't let me WRITE in those languages.
>>52281320
>I'd say go for it, being an investigative professor type fits the horror genre, and you'll know all the secret techniques to ward off monsters.
Except the only intelligence skill I have no proficiency in is investigation.

One thing that annoys me about the Knowledge domain cleric is that it still doesn't give you much incentive to upgrade intelligence, I always though the ability modifier for a Cleric should be based on their domain. Imagine War domain clerics getting their spell power from Strength, though I suppose that would take some re-balancing.
>>
can someone explain why the giants skin tones changed so drastically between editions
>>
>>52281396
I always thought that cleric's casting stat should be Charisma, and for paladins it should be Wisdom.
But maybe it's just my butthurt speaking, since I'm having a difficulty playing a preacher with measly charisma of 12.
>>
>>52281411
For the same reason tieflings had all sorts of weird mutations in 2e, were simply humans with horns and tails in 3.5 and became redskins with horns, tails and hooves in 4e, basically indistinguishable from your average demon, which then continued into 5e.
Also, for some reason their charisma penalty became a charisma bonus.
>>
> Want to be Assassin / Feylock for some d6 dice explosion
> Don't want to be faggot who multiclass UA

What should I do? Go back to Assassin / Paladin build?
>>
can you misty step out of a rug of smothering
>>
My team is headed to Goldenfields in SKT.
I was thinking of having them visit Grudd Haug (if the two places aren't geographically close to each other I'll be ignoring that) on a diplomatic mission to see if the hill giants are acting up. I imagine the dungeon is too much to handle at their current level if things go south and they will be forced to flee and perhaps prepare Goldenfield's defenses like normal.
Is this a bad idea? Am I asking for a TPK?
>>
>>52281424
I feel you.
What domain are you though?

I think it would be fitting if, Divine domain used Charisma, Knowledge used Int, maybe Const for Life?
>>
>>52281396
Comprehend Languages isn't a cleric spell, but you do get Tongues as a 3rd level spell

It doesn't so matter what skill you've got for what the archetype you're satisfying is, if you wanna play it, play it
>>
>>52281463
>Also, for some reason their charisma penalty became a charisma bonus.

the reason is probably because someone figured they should make good warlocks
>>
>>52281467
No, you can't use misty step while blinded.
>>
>>52281490
Forge. And no, using physical stats for casting is a recipe for a disaster.
>>
>>52281465
JST B SWSHBKLR 2 GT THT EZ SNEK BNS
>>
>>52281508
Dat CON casting on Genasi tho
>>
I'm running a little encounter practice, setting up for the BBEG fight of a short campaign I'm writing.

Unfortunately, CR calculators claim that the fight will be Deadly even for a party of 5 level 20 characters, and that is before accounting for the lair actions involved.

Looking at the fight myself though I find it hard to believe that a well stocked level 13-15+ party would truely struggle, so I'm going to write up some character sheets and have a buddy proxy-fight the combat a few times to see just how deadly it really is.

I hae a plan that I hope isn't too autistic sounding to afford them a spur of the moment long rest so they can clear the final dungeon most of the way, then get their full resources back and be able to tackle the final few encounters at full strength before the showdown.

So for the sake of having nothing else to do, hit me with some interesting or not-so-interesting character concepts for me to write character sheets for me to stat up and write a party or two to see if this fight really is too much for a group of level 14's and what extra help they need.

Class, Archtype, maybe some themes of what abilities or fighting styles or possibly magic items they might make use of? Trying to get the idea of a suitably "Randomly" and "Independantly" generated party that an actual group of players might pick, rather than me just picking five classes that will be biased towards my own preferences.

Oh, and no "Kobold Dragon Hunting Party."
>>
>>52281548
I've got a much better idea - just gather a group of us and run a fight with /5eg/, anon.
>>
File: lucky.jpg (353KB, 549x800px) Image search: [Google]
lucky.jpg
353KB, 549x800px
My sorcerer has now died twice, and both times gotten supremely lucky to come back.

First time I had a wild magic surge that let me reincarnate if I died. DM was open rolling for randomly targeted attacks, and they kept hitting my downed character. Came back up.

Last session we had it suggested we try and do a jewel heist, and on realising the situation was really not in our favour, we carried on with it anyway. I went down while the healer was down, and nat 1'd my second failed death save.
However, as I said, it was a jewel heist.
Our healer had revivify prepared, even though we didn't have a diamond... until we checked the stuff we took.

We did a ritual thing similar to what Matt Mercer does, and I needed an 8 to come back up. Lo and behold, I roll an 8.
>>
>>52281607
That's nothing. You know how if you roll a 20 on death saving throw, you instantly come back up with 1 hp?
When I DM'ed Curse of Strahd, I've had our revenant paladin rise up three times in a single fight.
>>
>>52281522
If I want easy sneak attack, AT is a better choice. Autocrits though...
>>
>>52281490
Yeah I guess you are right, but I would still like to see some variation in the ability modifiers, even if it is only non-physical stats.
>>52281508
The flavour is important to me, I took Hermit over Acolyte even though I could have gotten two languages instead of 1, simply because I imagined this character as being a lone librarian of sorts for some massive archive hidden away for a few decades.

That being said, it would probably be best for me to just write it down and save it for a different setting.
>>
>>52281588
That is an idea, I could throw something quick onto Roll20 I guess?
>>
/5eg/ I'm in kind of an unusual situation as a DM. My players are being reasonable. They went in guns-a-blazing to the first combat of a large dungeon, a wizard's tower, after stumbling across a group of the wizard's apprentices holding a hands-on study session. Thing is, every single one of my players told me explicitly that they were not going to kill anyone. And they did it by the book, the final blows were all melee attacks, declaring nonlethal damage. The cleric then went around and cast Spare the Dying on them all for good measure. They just left the apprentices tied up and unconscious.

Notably, this is just a day after having slaughtered a goblin raiding party that they went out of their way to ambush. The wizard apprentices were all humans and half-elves.

I need suggestions on how to both reward them for not being complete murderhobos, and how to have this come back and bite them in the ass in the future. Any ideas?
>>
>>>52281490 (You)
>Yeah I guess you are right, but I would still like to see some variation in the ability modifiers, even if it is only non-physical stats.

Fuck I meant >>52281508

and the second part was directed at >>52281491
>>
>>52281489
Anyone?
For reference I'm basically having a level 5 party walk into a dungeon meant for a level 8 party.
>>
>>52281649
Sure. Do you use discord? Because if you coordinate through it, it will be much faster than through text.
>>
You have 60 to explain whydon't have a +14 to you weapon attack at level 9
>>
Thoughts on Acquisitions Incorporated?

I've been enjoying the podcasts/games for a few years. Regardless of your opinions of Jerry and Mike, or PA as a whole, I think they do a great job of putting on a show for something that is normally really hard to listen/watch. I have the hardest time trying to follow Critical Role despite its production, there's too many characters.

The "C" Team that just aired seems good, Jerry has great ideas but the new people, Especially Chris Straub, seems entirely too eager to laugh at their own jokes, which the Acq Inc proper shows usually mitigate with the help of Perkin's DMing.
>>
>>52281654
Couldn't the apprentice give the party a cool magic item for sparing them which the master later comes to collect?
>>
>>52281654
If the wizard is not actually a bad guy, have him reward them for not murdering his apprentices.
As for biting back in the ass, have one or two apprentices show up much later and be colossal dicks. Yes, the party didn't kill them, but they DID beat the shit out of them. Had to hurt.
>>
>>52281654
I wouldn't punish them at all. They're doing some good shit. If anything, I would incorporate the fact that they spared them into giving them a helping hand. Grateful wizards that are happy they're alive, maybe one or two devoutly loyal ones that will never abandon their master.
>>
>>52281654
The wizard offers them some gratitude for not killing his apprenticies and attempts to parley and agreement rather then rising straight to battle.

However, a one or two of the apprentice mages take their defeat as an insult and start a quest to get stronger and take revenge against the party where they failed the first time.

"What, you don't remember me?! I was top of my class, everyone looked up to me but even I couldn't defend my friends, I won't forget that and I'll prove to everyone just how much stronger I am now."
>>
>>52281692
Jim is pretty much the only saving grace for that shit, Rothfuss is unbearable and makes the entire thing unwatchable.
>>
File: 1423184253148.jpeg.gif (1006KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1423184253148.jpeg.gif
1006KB, 500x333px
Hey /5eg/, I've had a popcorn shell (those fucking brown flakes in popcorns) stuck in my throat for the last three fucking days, what the fuck do I do?

Also, how would your characters react to this fucking terrible situation?
>>
>>52281808
Split my throat open and have the cleric dig them out and revivify
>>
>>52281808
reach in and pull it out like a man.
>>
>>52281808
Gargle saltwater?
Swallow gulps of finely crushed ice?

My character would take a long rest and hope I passed the Con save. Or maybe our party's Paladin could lay on hands?
>>
Thoughts on War wizard? I like it
>>
>>52281873
Better yet, get a paladin/monk to punch him in the throat while doing lay on hands. Dislodge it and heal at the same time.
>>
>>52281681
Nah, I've used roll20 a little bit but only as a platform to put maps up for our IRL group and to get the odd single player to teleconference in.

Organising 5 other people might be a bit of a hassle for just practice runs though.
>>
File: shiggy diggy skeleton.png (37KB, 178x190px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy diggy skeleton.png
37KB, 178x190px
>>52281808
Stop being a bitch nigga

>eating popcorn, aka "garbage with salt"
>ever
>>
How many sets of dice do you bring with you?

I bring 4 10-piece sets and I only use 1.
>>
File: Ryder confused.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
Ryder confused.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>52281928
>Playing offline
>>
What spell would be the most useful while browsing 4chan?
>>
>>52281928
I have one set of incomplete dice because I never use a d4.
>>
>>52281946
Mindblank.
>>
>>52281958
I'd say find traps
>>
>>52281946
Lesser/greater restoration, to cure cancer.
>>
Wew, this is a delayed response.

>>52279447
I know they're "bad wizards", but I find them more entertaining, and admittedly less effort to keep track of, since my mind is bad with that shit.
And frankly I'm just too skittish to check the gamefinder threads or Reddit, I've only played games with at least one friend in them, myself.
>>52279555
Honestly, I'd be playing even 4E if I could find a game for it, I just want A game period, but 3.5 or PF are just too much for my feeble brain to keep track of.
>>52275502
Heey, I was that anon! Also, I'm dumb, what does this change other than the initiative thing?
>>
So hey guys my party of level 5s are down a healer. How much would a Cleric order charge for usage or renting of a healer? Per week? Day? Month? What are the hassles of over coming/hiring a healer besides their alignment, safety, and maybe them wanting a cut of the profits. Any ideas? I'm thinking about 900gp a month for a 3rd level cleric? Does that seem fair? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>52281548
A damage powerhouse to spit high numbers.

A Wood Elf, Champion Fighter, Sharpshooter with an Oath-Bow.
>>
>>52282015
Why are they down a healer
>>
>>52281548
Tiefling devotion paladin with spell-guard shield.
>>
>>52282015
Why not kidnap a Cleric from the local church, cut off their legs so they can't run, suture their arms to their chest (but not their hands, dem Somatic components) so they can't run away, force a luggage handle into their back (preferably stuck to the spine), then force them to be your healslut?
>>
>>52282058
Hello, Virt. Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>52282051
They are down their healer because some of the party have a tendency to act like >>52282058
but of course not to that extreme.
>>
>>52281990
Not a clue what it changes my man, but that's the newer version. You should try and find a game either way, worst case is it fails.

Try playing without a friend too, you're much more prone to making new ones.
>>
>>52281548
Not really fitting but just cruel. A Kobold wild magic sorcerer who thinks their a Draconic
>>
>>52282077
Oh wow. I'd suggest that a character multi class to heal until they find a real new one
>>
>>52282130
They are considering hiring one. I need advice on how to approach it.
>>
>>52282154
It's an evil cleric, who's not taking shit from them.
>>
>>52281548
Tiefling, Fiend Tome Warlock (Shocking Grasp, Shillelagh, Spare the Dying)

Hex + Scorching Ray/EB
>>
>>52282154
Have them get turned down by all the honest clerics (if they fail their checks) so they have to go to the really shifty cleric in the dark alleyway who overcharges
>>
File: 1488069946260.png (2MB, 1060x810px) Image search: [Google]
1488069946260.png
2MB, 1060x810px
>>52281899
>him
Did you just fucking assume my gender?

Nah I'm joking
>>
>>52282058
Because inflict wounds can be cast as well as cure wounds.
>>
>>52282070
I really wish there was a way they could permanently ban him, for good.
>>
>>52281891
Their concept is good. I would prefer if they stuck with advantage / disadvantage proficiency bonus, instead of reverting back to their "minor + bonus everywhere, enjoy doing math homework and slog down the game" way of 3.pf
>>
File: 1490038761164.jpg (68KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1490038761164.jpg
68KB, 720x540px
>>52281912
Ah sucks, I'm a different anon who'd be down to clown. I've been recently released as a forever DM so I've been dying to play out all the characters I've created.
>>
>>52282204
Well that's when you get a working one!
>>
>>52282243
Same here.
>>
Why do channel divinity uses not stack for cleric/paladins?
Doesn't seem necessary for balance at all. They could have just not let you use the cleric uses per rest for the paladin ability and vice versa.
>>
>>52282268
Because we can never have any fun
>>
>>52282015
I'd suggest rather than a flat fee, a percentage cut of the loot.

200gp donation upfront to the church a Priest (Cr2) will acompany them on adventures, bringing his two Mastiff hounds with him. He will of course, not leave the camp or follow them anywhere particularly dangerous unless absolutely needed, but will offer his full application of healing and restoration spells to the party.

He will also demand an equal share of any treasure or loot gathered by the party to be delivered to his church in tithe. If the party get 1,000 gold worth of treasure and there are four party members, they each get 200 each and 200 is given to the Priest.

If pressed into combat by the hapstance or by demand of the party he will demand a double-share, one for himself in addition to the church tithe. Of course he won't demand this for say, helping defend the cart against marauding bandits who ambush the wagon but he may demand it if say the entire group is captured and have to fight their way out, or if the players demand he join them to clear a haunted graveyard.

He may also spend his downtime crafting the occasional healing potion or vial of holy water which he will give to the party to help them along, sort of helping them earn back some of the value of treasure they are dishing out to him but still keeping him as being a general expense.

Obviously if they waste more than a couple weeks without any substantial reward, he may request a stipend payment every now and then.
>>
File: 1461548481599.jpg (2MB, 799x4797px) Image search: [Google]
1461548481599.jpg
2MB, 799x4797px
>>52281166
>Guys, any ideas on how to make gnomes less fucking ridiculous in a setting that's supposed to be a little more somber than the PHB's suggested ones?
Play Arcanum.
1/2
>>
File: 1461549243246.jpg (2MB, 800x4195px) Image search: [Google]
1461549243246.jpg
2MB, 800x4195px
>>52282299
2/2
>>
>>52282299
I wonder if the person who wrote this just took their anti-Semite conspiracy theory and threw it n the game.
>>
>>52282268
Guess what senpai? Theruge wizards ability DOES stack.

So if you're a level 6 Cleric, and a level 6 Theruge, you should have 4 uses of your Channels, two Divinity and two Arcana.
>>
If someone sneaks up to a sleeping monster or player, how do I set the DC for the stealth check? Passive Perception minus 5 (disadvantage from being unconscious)?
>>
>>52282334
Wizards get everything.
>>
>>52281950
>Never uses a d4
>Cleric never casts bless on you
You poor soul
>>
What's the craziest way you've ever killed a giant
>>
>>52281630
> That's NOTHING!
> I can top that with le 3 NAT 20s MEME!

Part of his was an interesting story.
>>
File: smug dog.png (77KB, 214x242px) Image search: [Google]
smug dog.png
77KB, 214x242px
>>52282380
I make the cleric roll it for me.
>>
>>52282417
What about healing potions
>>
>>52282336
Probably not a bad idea. RAW, an unconscious character/monster is unaware of their surroundings, so you might get some grumbling.
>>
>>52282398
By enlarging, wrestling with, and eventually finishing him off by throwing him into another giant.
>>
>>52282425
My party has never come into possession of one of those.
>>
>>52282425
He has the cleric force feed him them.
>>
>>52282417
>making others roll on your turn
But what if he didn't put his phone in the basket and is using it during other peoples turns?
>>
>>52282291
This also has the potential for you to make illusionary-value to the cleric if you're not really that fussed about the price but don't want to give them the cleric for free.

Say you were going to give them 4,000 gold in treasure. Well instead, give them 5,000 gold. A thousand goes to the Cleric.

In your eyes, they are exactly the same as where you wanted them to be. In their eyes, they just lost a chunk of their treasure.

It's the old parable of railroading. They enter a room with three doors, A, B, and C. You want them to go through C first.

Don't have doors A and B locked, since this makes them feel forced. Make whatever door they open, open to whatever room or encounter you would have put behind door C.
>>
>>52282308
>>52282299
Jesus fucking Christ how repulsive, I should play through Arcanum again just to exterminate every last fucking (((gnome))).

Anyway, I don't think D&D gnomes are ridiculous. Forest dwarves with mastery of illusions and one of the best races around.
>>
>>52282398

>fighting frost giants on edge of large crater

>sorcerer starts trying to knock them in

>being a Druid I cast spike growth in the bottom of crater

>giants fall in

>giants climb out

>rinse and repeat

>once theyre near dead I shove a boulder on top of them
>>
>>52282336
Most stealth checks are already gonna be vs someone with disadvantage, so this is kind of a bad deal.
>>
>>52282243
>>52282256
I'll see if I can't whip something up quickly. Maybe a couple guys playing a pair of characters each for a part of 4-6 might be easy enough to handle on short notice.
>>
>>52281286

The only languages I remember coming across in CoS was one single verse of Draconic.

Speaking a lot of jumbled together languages might give one the ability to understand the Vistani's patterna speech, but I have yet to have ever come across a single CoS DM who has read Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani, so no one will know what that is, or the preposterously rich lore that they have to offer.

The exotic races that might have a special language are pretty much just Elves, Hags, a Dragon, a Celestial, the Vistani, and Druidic and save for that last one, all of them do common.

Strahd speaks a surprising assortment of languages, one of them, Giant. Go figure
>>
>>52282443
>>52282488
I mean, my party practically never sneaks up on enemies, so I'm asking mostly for ambushes against the party. If they're sleeping at an inn, for example, and assassins sneak in, what is the chance they wake up before having their throats slit for average 38 piercing + 24 poison on a failed save?
>>
File: Lord of The Rings.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Lord of The Rings.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>52282291
>>52282468
If they are hiring a cleric though I have a few questions. Maybe have different types of clerics? Like depending on how dangerous the scenario is and if the cleric chooses to accompany them in there would buff up the cost. Like if The Cleric only chooses to stay behind at camp and heal them after battles, he wouldn't be as expensive and may not get as much of a cut of the loot. That being said if they hire Billy badass the Cleric, who because of his high cost initially, he will follow them into the cavern of a dragon after being paid and offered a cut of the treasure. Also if you bought health potions in bulk would it make them cost less if you bought by the barrel? How much would a barrel be and how many health potions would it hold? If you guys have any more ideas please feel free to share them. In return have a wallpaper.
>>
>>52282546
It's incase his lover gets reincarnated as a Hill Giant.
>>
>>52282546
>Strahd speaks a surprising assortment of languages, one of them, Giant. Go figure
Gotta promote that new book
>>
>>52282398
Crashing their castle into a cliff
>>
>>52282580
50 gp says it's chief guh
>>
>>52282546
>one of them, Giant. Go figure

Strahd's a weird guy, to be sure.

I like how it says he led armies and his backstory was very militant etc., but as far as I know (in AD&D anyway) he was never anything but a single classed magic user.

Personally, I like that fact -- a magic user can be plenty aggressive and militaristic, and historically speaking many officers (or soldiers in general) did not wear armor. Might even throw off the PCs if a guy on a horse in uniform with a saber in hand is just a wizard.
>>
>>52282570
I'd say this gets kind of complicated. Just give them a Priest for a share of the loot, he will follow them into the dungeon (CR2 Priest is on par with a level 5 character just about) for two shares, and obviously if he gets killed the church will not be happy.
>>
File: ;^).gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
;^).gif
2MB, 500x500px
What do you guys say about a DM who won't allow revolvers in their campaign for being too advanced, but lets another player have a magitek gun-arm?
>>
Someone give me somthing fun to play next. Either backstory/personaility or class wise
>>
>>52282556
Ah, then that's definitely better than not.
>>
>>52282607
Racist dwarf, but they're racist to everyone, not just elves
>>
>>52282586
With no survivors!
>>
>>52282607
You worship a dead god.
>>
>>52282607
A Half-Orc chef ranger who dual-wields cleavers and hopes to open a restaurant with ingredients he collects over his adventures.
>>
>>52282633
Allahu allfather
>>
>>52282607
What classes have you played?
>>
>>52282622
Even other mountain dwarves.

"Damn mountain dwarves, they ruined the mountains!"
>>
>>52282398
Clinging to the back of its neck until its mate tried to bash me with a club, then letting go. It was already pretty roughed up, though. I tricked the mate into eating a treasure chest later, though. Killed it gud.
>>
>>52282607
A Halfling cannibal who eats his opponents' eyes to gain their strength.
>>
>>52282556
For a narrative point of view, it's kinda douchey to throw that at a party when they least expect it.

I'd give at least have one player being awake and walking about the inn hallway perhaps on the way to the privy to give someone a chance to react.
>>
where's the /5eg/ game
>>
>>52282650
There used to be so much gold in these mines till the damn dwarves took it all
>>
>>52282605
One's more steeped in the genre. Ask him if you can have a magi-tech pistol.
>>
>>52282607
Trump-esc wizard who knows all the wall spells
>>
>>52282556
Oh in that case, yeah I'd use perception with disadvantage. unless there's anything saying otherwise, they'd still roll inits the first round to see if they can still be assassinated.
>>
Okay, so what happens if your Theurgy Cleric Domain is Arcana?
>i'm a wizard
>who studies divine magic
>specifically the arcane
>>
>>52282709
Fuck, that's pretty good.
>>
>>52282607
A halfling stone sorcerer who's obsessed with enlarging himself.
>>
File: 1429575194852.jpg (23KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1429575194852.jpg
23KB, 600x450px
>>52282607
If it's a social heavy game, an Avatar Mystic focused on Mantle of Awe, who basically acts like the Purple Man. Uses their mind to control people.

If it's a combat heavy game, then a Battle Master Fighter whose entire deal is that he's a beneficiary for an orphanage in his hometown that needs the money to raise the orphans of a Troll attack, so he adventures to raise money. With a kickass, full back tattoo.

If it's a slight mix, then maybe an Abyssal Tiefling Seeker Warlock, whose random magics are flavored into a Binder-like skill where they spend time every time their spells switch investigating a lost God, and their communion with the Warlock gives them special spells in return for preserving their history and knowledge.
>>
>>52282607
Accidental Kenku Warlock.

You were happy just being the minion to an evil warlock, until you accidentally mimicked a particular ritual, ending up making a pact to a great old one. Now on the run from your former master (who's pissed you managed to pull it off), you signed up with an adventuring party to try and figure out a way to break the pact while keeping your mind and soul intact.

Also, half the words you utter are from unspeakable languages, because they were most of the sounds you heard as a minion.
>>
>>52282729

You can Wish and a deal of other Wizard spells at level 14

You can then multiclass into another full caster, and be able to use that 9th and 8th level spell anyway
>>
>>52281384
It's pretty good. With quiet armor you can reliably nova someone to death without them making a sound. The advantage lets you shit out your DPR in a very placid, but effective way.

If your DM allows UA multiclassing then Hexblade 1, PAM Paladin attacking with Charisma for maximized Aura of Protection is pretty good. It lets you have 1 spellslot, 1 curse, and 1 divinity all on short rest. Critting on 19-20 plus reliable advantage leads to extreme crit fishing, 26.61% chance in 3 attacks to get one crit. You can also prepare Divinity, and apply curse without breaking Invisibility, or making a noise.

If you ever make Paladin 9 then you're set. You've got Haste which is basically a dream spell for martials.
>>
>>52282747
I did sort of something similar except it's a Kenku moon Druid who was the apprentice to an archdruid
>>
>>52282748
You wouldn't actually have the slot to cast Wish though.
>>
>>52282734
>a bad idea is good because of an even worse meme
Even if you had all the low-level Wall spells (the first one appears at fucking 3, so you're already halfway through the campaign before you can do anything defining) they're still monstrously situational and relegated to "blocks line of sight" and "fucks with ranged attacks". That's it. Everything can still walk through it.

At least if you were a Mystic who took all the Wu Jen disciplines (each of which has a Wall-type spell) you'd not only have useful walls eventually, but you'd have other actually effective abilities to spam.
>>
>>52282789
>implying trump isn't a one trick pony
>>
>>52282801
But he hasn't even done a trick yet. He CAN'T even do his trick, h-
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>52282789
I suppose he'd also have banish or something as his gimmick
>>
>>52282789
The point of Wall spells are generally to punt someone through a Wall of Fire every round for extra damage, although they can be used quite effectively to divide enemy encounters as well (Wall of Stone etc)
>>
File: wallbuilding.png (297KB, 1133x1277px) Image search: [Google]
wallbuilding.png
297KB, 1133x1277px
Is it time for Wall Wizards?
>>
>>52282828
Exactly. The wall won't work. Just like in real life
>>
> Mystic who fluff his ability as summon imaginary creatures to do stuff for him
> Can Cut,Fly,Surf,Strength and Flash

We Pokemon Master now
>>
>>52282782

No, but then you can jump out of Wizard and get the slot to cast it eventually.

Hell, you can even go into a half caster, and you'd still get the slot eventually
>>
>>52282850

>The wall won't work

They're among the most powerful and effective spells in the game.

>Just like in real life.

Better tell Israel and soon many other middle eastern countries that.
>>
>>52282858
>not fluffing your disciplines as the power of the fighting spirit that stands beside you that only other mystics can see
>>
>>52282789
> level 3 is halfway through the campaign

Did you really think you were being subtle with your meme-creep? Saying tables don't make it to 15 is one thing, but I *start* my players at 3 because they don't need a tutorial anymore.

It's not a good idea because of trump, it's a good idea because prioritizing wall spells is a pretty novel thing to do.
>>
File: 1488941236745.jpg (164KB, 1076x1306px) Image search: [Google]
1488941236745.jpg
164KB, 1076x1306px
>>52282607
Alright, so Gods in DnD are created by sheer force of will, right?
Like, even those fish things down in the underdark can literally will a condom or a fishingpole into godhood because they're so zealously insane

So what I'm thinking about playing is a high charisma Cleric that believes himself to be a God, and he gets his powers from not only his own conviction, but by convincing other people that he's a God (that would explain leveling up)
although I'll literally never get a chance to play him because I'm a perma dm, so I want to live vicariously through you
>>
>>52282873
>wall

>middle east

wast the wall for Mexico. Banish would be for muslims
>>
>>52282860
Any particularly interesting 14 theurge/6 other things builds?
>>
>>52282875
It's a third circle spell, which means you get it at fifth level. Yeah, you're halfway through the campaign.

Fucking WotC for dropping the "circle" terminology and leaving us with only "level" for both the rank of a spell and the progression of the caster.
>>
>>52281688
Because it's not as good as you think compared to +9 with advantage.
>>
>>52282889
Israel built a wall for much of the same reason (to deter psychopathic head chopping brown people] and it worked quite well.

The Banishment spell would be great too, though.
>>
>>52282887
I dont think that is how godhood work anymore.
>>
>>52282873
>tiny countries in the desert facing an actual threat with the money to guard it
>VS. an enormous border facing mostly nothingness in nowhere on top of a watershed and rubbing up against a country with >>>NET NEGATIVE IMMIGRATION HOLY SHIT<<<
like you do realize the roads we're going to build will not only be just as expensive but will be used by the narcotraffickers to move product through terrain that was previously inaccessible due to being so rugged, right
it's literally spending money to fix something that isn't a problem and making an ACTUAL problem way worse
lmao
>>
>>52281891
It's like Bladesinger except you don't get your bonuses all the time, and they're potentially not as good. +7 damage on fireball, or +9 on some d8 spell isn't compelling enough compared to the typically wasted level 6 for Bladesinger.
>>
>>52282895
>Fucking WotC for dropping the "circle" terminology and leaving us with only "level" for both the rank of a spell and the progression of the caster.

Not really WotC's fault for not utilizing obscure terminology virtually never used anywhere prior to their arrival.
>>
>>52282935
What? WotC bought D&D in '99 and 3E came out the year after, and circle was in effect then.
>>
>>52282889
He could also have fabricate, mass suggestion and confusion
>>
>>52282709
I think you mean a Mystic with Mantle of Awe, and Mastery of Wood and Earth for the 100 HP WALL.
>>
>>52282960
This is just standard Wizarding.
>>
>>52282931

Its weird how when Obama and Hillary voted for the wall, it was just common sense and everyone knew how crazily dangerous our friends to the south were, and only nowadays that enforcing borders like every other country on Earth became this dangerous, heretical idea that must be opposed no matter how many mental gymnastics it takes.

Anyway, not /tg/ related.
>>
Hey fuckers, how do I make this guy in 5e?
>>
>>52282953

Again, here's the thing. You are citing *incredibly* obscure AD&D terminology, and bitching that WotC didn't use ... something that was absent from 99% of AD&D products.

"Fucking Obama, why doesn't he use the metric system! Its HIS FAULT IN PARTICULAR!"
>>
>>52282965
But will the dwarves pay for it

>>52282989
No need to get so serious
>>
>>52282893

hard to say because of the lack of INT spell casters

Wizard 14/ Artificer 6 gets you all the way up to the Mechanical Servant.

Theurge 14/ Cleric 6 might yield some fascinating double-dipping Cleric features

Theurge 14/ Sorcerer 3/ Warlock 3 might get you more spell slots to burn into sorcery points to burn into meta magic. None of them have caster progression of enough note to have you pay for not relying on CHA
>>
>>52282965
>not a Rogue with a background feature that gives him 5,000,000gp to start with and a Thayvian Red Wizard who follows him around invisibly, casting Dominate on everyone you interacts with
It'd like the ol' Wizard-and-his-familiar-but-the-familiar-is-the-real-character-and-the-wizard-is-just-a-mind-slave, but instead of a pseudodragon, there's a bald guy.
>>
>>52283007
>spell slots to burn into sorcery points

what

is this a thing
>>
>>52282997
Improvised weapons
Plate armor
>>
>>52283003
>hey what happened to circle
>DUR CIRCLE IS OBSCURE AND WOTC NEVER USED IT
>but they did use it; in fact, they used it in arguably the most popular version of D&D, 3.X
>DUR IT'S OBSCURE AND WASN'T IN D&D
what the fuck
>>
>>52283013
playing baldurs gate again i see. nice
>>
>>52283029

I'm pretty sure it is, but it's a diminishing return type of thing
>>
>>52283029
Yes. Sorcerers turn slots into SP and SP back into slots. There's inefficiency involved so you lose out on a bit of casting overall but if you want nothing but your highest level slots all day, that's a thing you can do.
>>
>>52283044

Okay, WHERE is circle used? What book, don't just say "Its in D&D lol WotC is a shit! thanks Obama"
>>
>>52283084
Old books
>>
>>52283084
>Being this much of a fucking newfag
>>
>>52283052
>>52283060
well hot damn, sorcs aren't as bad as I thought

no wonder people jerk off about sorlocks
>>
>>52282989
that "wall" that everyone voted for was a tiny, shitty fence and a massive boondoggle that didn't work
there's a difference between "okay kids you can waste $50 on this shitty chinese gamegear knockoff and be disappointed" and "well since you didn't learn the lesson about wasting $50 here's my credit card, please drain my bank account on buying virtualboys"
>>
I really liked that UA for Wizards, because I really dislike spell schools.

Is there any way to get rid of spell schools without ruining all the other mystic traditions too much? Or how to easily change them?
>>
How should I go about awakening my first tree?
>>
>>52283052
It is.. but when you can short rest to get some back...
>>
>>52283093
>>52283096
ah its just a meme, not a real convo, gotcha
>>
File: thothwizardcleric.jpg (244KB, 854x633px) Image search: [Google]
thothwizardcleric.jpg
244KB, 854x633px
Made this Thurgist today from the new UA. He's a knowledge thurgist wizard who worships thoth. Also he's a goliath so hes stronk.
>>
>>52283084
The PHBs for third edition, to start?
The edition put out by WotC?
I mean, they USED terminology like "Fireball is a third circle spell". The problem is that it's now been dropped for the much more confusing "Fireball is a third level spell", which leads people like you to think that people are talking about casting Fireball when you are a third level Wizard. This is obviously not ideal.
>>
>>52283134
Spend years growing and shaping the tree into a figure of a cute elf first.

Use speak with plants to court it during that time.
>>
>>52283102
Passing a bill to neuter it as soon as Dubya got out of power doesn't mean "it didn't work," it just means they passed a bill to neuter it.
>>
>>52283178
Then rape because I'm a dwarf Druid
>>
>>52283147
Kindly kill yourself.
>>
File: 1406664866307.jpg (204KB, 688x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1406664866307.jpg
204KB, 688x1000px
>>52283029

The power of the Sorlock is generating 2-4 SP on short rests from turning their Pact Magic slots into points.

Also having the ever reliable Eldritch Blast, which that they can quicken for double casting when they want to dish out the pain.
>>
>>52283176

Why do you lie, out of curiosity? If you're going to just lie, you should cite something obscure like "its the optional terminology in Wizard Spell Compendium Vol IV."
>>
Whats the meme iest Sorcerer / Warlock split? I'm making a pyromaniac kobold dragon and I think pact of the fiend could really deliver.

I'm thinking 14/6 for the wings?
>>
>>52283190
nigger, it was literally called the SECURE FENCE ACT and only ever dealt with shitty chain-link FENCING
and it wasn't "neutered" once Dubya was out of office, it was halted because the whole thing overran all budgetary expectations and construction timetables, just like a massive fucking concrete wall will, and the Republicans didn't want to further fund it OR make good on the immigration reform that was part and parcel of the deal to begin with
am i the only one here who was even of drinking age when this whole debacle happened
>>
Is there ever a time you want to wear armour despite lacking the proficiency in it? Even situationally ones like the wizard putting on a chain mail vest after he's out of spells for the day?
>>
File: 1306818189822.jpg (312KB, 1127x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1306818189822.jpg
312KB, 1127x1200px
Alright /5eg/, I come to you with a world-building question. I want there to be a philosophy amongst my elite warriors which equates to "In battle, everyone is equal. The weak kill the strong through guile and the strong kill the weak through force". I was thinking of having warriors refer to the battlefield as the "Round Table" but then I realized that was rooted in Arthurian myth which I'm not using in my setting. Any ideas on what kind of symbology I could use to signify this attitude?
>>
I've decided. I'm going to awaken the mold in my character's beard
>>
>>52283243
2 levels for invocations, 3 for doubling the SP you get from your Warlock slots. You don't want to delay Sorcerer progression more than that.
>>
>>52283282
The dinner plate of doom
>>
>>52283260

"and it wasn't "neutered" once Dubya was out of office"? They had to pass a brand new bill just to neuter it, dude. Because it wasn't politically correct anymore. Derp.
>>
>>52283099
The problem with sorcs, in my mind, is the available spell selection and lack of spells known. It's level + 1 til 12, and slows from there. Meanwhile, you're working with far less utility available than any other caster.

You'll cast longer than the rest, though.
>>
>>52283282
What about the strong that are also cunning?
>>
>>52283282
The Fair and Final Ground? Or go for a scale set to be equal on both sides, showing that equality?
>>
File: Digivolve to.png (207KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
Digivolve to.png
207KB, 500x667px
>Protector Aasimar Immortal Mystic
>take 0 disciplines that require saves
>fight with a quarterstaff
>Giant Growth and Radiant Soul in the same turn
>>
>>52283282
Could go with some kind of fancy ring, or bastardize the uroboros.
>>
Thoughts on my Druid awakening the mold in his beard
>>
File: slash ghost.png (17KB, 316x188px) Image search: [Google]
slash ghost.png
17KB, 316x188px
>>52282874
>what's wrong, ElfJo? The second you got within 30 feet of that orc, you smashed his head in. At the speed you hit him I can tell your fighting spirit can deal 7- no, 14d10!
>but ever since my spirit power Grasp has stopped you, you haven't tried attacking at all. I can tell that you must have a maximum range of only 30 feet!
>that's because my fighting spirit, 「Mastery of Force」's ability, Grasp has a full range of up to 60 feet!
>you've lost, my fighting spirit 「Mastery of Force」 is invincible!
>>
>>52283319
Level 1-11 looks like they'd have enough (part of what fucked sorcs in 3e is that you really could roll out with 20+ buff spells), and their 12+ spell slots don't have enough variety that there are too many hard choices imo -- just focus on stuff that combines with Twin Spell well.

5e Sorcs feel like a really specific build that isn't what I really consider "sorcerer"-ey, but that build is okayish.

Even more incentive to go sorlock though.
>>
Thoughts on dwarf druids? How should they be played (in your opinion)? Hate or love forests? Hate or love elves?
>>
>>52283499
Circle of Land (Mountain) only.
>>
>>52283499
Like Pikel Bouldershoulder.
>>
>>52283458
I'm playing a level 5 WM sorc currently, and I feel starved of slots. It'll get better at higher level though, I'm sure.

But I've got ice knife, mage armour (which I'd basically have anyway if I was draconic, but never mind), hold person, scorching ray, fireball and haste.

It's not too awful, but I'd dearly love to have more defensive spells, and feel like outside scorching ray I'm stuck on cantrips if allies are in melee.
Also, I feel pretty lacking in utility because if I switch anything out I can't do the damage I feel I'm supposed to.

You're right, though, the saving grace for the lack of spells is the sorc list is short.
>>
>>52283534
whats the fun in playing an existing character
>>
>>52283561
Take inspiration from him, don't directly copy him, get an understanding of the character and the take what you like and leave what you don't, simple as that.
>>
>>52283499
>>52283521

Underdark dwarves also fit perfectly.

They're just the druids of an alien ecology that has a very finite source of chemical energy, so while they can reprocess that energy almost without limit, they probably view surfacers entering the subterranean realm and contributing to the ecosystem possibly by dying with more positivity than most dwarves. They fit perfectly as druids imo, just not the default foresty druids.
>>
>>52282594
Truly the Dark Powers of the Demi-Plane of Dread are a crafty lot...

Though now thinking on older editions of the various dark lord realms of Ravenloft...some of SKT's giant lords are good contenders for becoming trapped dark lords consumed by their obsessions and vices.

Chief Guh especially. I would not wish to be trapped in that realm of dread. I mean, she hits a few magical realms of mine, but not all of them mix well.
>>
>>52283379
I don't get it.
>>
>>52283587
im pretty sure that pikel is retarded
>>
File: DungeonMeshi Slime Anatomy.png (218KB, 1514x704px) Image search: [Google]
DungeonMeshi Slime Anatomy.png
218KB, 1514x704px
>>52283589
So maybe like Senshi from Dungeon Meshi?
The Dungeon as a unique eco-system to be protected. Friends with various dungeon inhabitants like orcs because he'll often trade them vegetables they can't get easily otherwise.
>>
>>52283646
No, I think he lost his tongue, or is mute, or is possibly autistic, he is not a retard.
>>
>>52283670
either way I already have the character made and at lvl 11. was just asking /tg/
>>
>>52283682
And I gave you my thoughts on it. All's good, man.
>>
>>52283603
I dunno, pity Strahd if he charms her.
She thinks that by being the biggest, she'll make Hill Giants the best giants. And doing so through eating.

What if she decides that her lover should be the same as well, while understanding Strahd only drinks blood.

The poor vampire lord being forcefed blood until he's just a giant sac filled with blood under pressure. His ordinarily pallid skin now flushed, his eyes once red from evil turned bloodshot.
>>
>>52283702
but about the lost tongue possibility, druids learn heal. and if i were him I'd fix my tongue
>>
>>52283710
kek
>>
>>52283429
Say all you want about psionic balance and create-a-class but they open up a shit ton of new character possibilities that don't require shit tons of multiclassing and refluffing.
>>
>>52283665
Sounds about right.

Dwarven druids kinda intrigue me because of how, despite the usual vibe, I view dwarves as ultimately being at least as environmentally conscious as elves. Most humans or elves will never become aware of how valuable, say, clean air is, but people who live most their lives underground probably have deep knowledge of this sort of thing. Plus there's all sorts of odd concerns (digging your way into an aquifer fucks everything up, etc) that don't show up much in D&D literature.
>>
>>52283379
You're a fucking weeaboo anon, but I chuckled.
>>
File: wswx17000312Curse_TH1.jpg (242KB, 869x490px) Image search: [Google]
wswx17000312Curse_TH1.jpg
242KB, 869x490px
Hmmm Interesting...

https://www.dndbeyond.com/
>>
>>52283715
It requires a verbal component.
>>
>>52283774

well hows he casting all the other spells than
>>
>>52283770
We know.
>>
File: Dungeons and Dragons 04 008.jpg (543KB, 1280x1972px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons and Dragons 04 008.jpg
543KB, 1280x1972px
>>52283737
Ah yes. The problem of air in dungeons. I like how the 4e comic handled it for the dwarven dungeons.
>>
>>52283715
That's why I lean towards hi, being functionally mute, myself. He's obviously intelligent, perceptive, and very wise. It shows in how he uses his powers and how he is with Cadderly's kids. How powerful he really is, is quite shocking if you just take him at face value, he's often been the one to come up with the crucial component of a plan to kill some orcses, in the books.
>>52283774
I forgot this was required, but that's another reason why I lean towards mute.
>>
>>52283787
Non verbal spells aplenty, druids have.
>>
>>52283800
I made my character before I knew about pikel but they both have green beards
>>
>>52283770
Everyone here has known about it for weeks.
>>
File: Dungeons and Dragons 04 009.jpg (482KB, 1280x1969px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons and Dragons 04 009.jpg
482KB, 1280x1969px
>>52283798
>>
>>52283813
Awesome, and to add to the why he can cast so many spells, if I remember correctly Druidic magic is, or used to be, technically divine, so if a nature deity wanted they could grant them use of spells without verbal components.
>>
>>52283865
thats 20th level shit right there
>>
How much would buying health potions in bulk cost?
>>
>>52283874
50gp each
>>
>>52283871
So you are implying Pikel is less than an Archdruid? that he's not powerful enough to say fuck this talking shit? How dare you, Sir! How dare you!

Also doesn't sign language count as speaking for the purposes of spells anyway?
>>
>>52283882
There would be no discount when buying a huge keg of them or something like that? Like buy in mass so it isn't as expensive.
>>
>>52283905
i havent read anything drizzt. but ofcourse hes an archdruid
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 500x281px
>>52283710
A bridge too far, anon. A bridge too far.

>>52283734
Agreed.
>>
>>52283907
>bulk rate discounts in a pre-industrial market place
>>
>>52283907
not when it takes xp to make the potions.
>>
>>52283937
This isn't 3.5, anon.
>>
>>52283913
Honestly despite the attitude /tg/ has about him, they're actually pretty good books, I won't say masterful save for maybe afew but if you want to know more about Pikel read The Cleric Quartet, no Drizzt there, and he's in a few of the main Drizzt books some of those are really good, particularly the earlier ones in the series.

If you hate Faerun though you might not want to even bother.
>>
>>52283958
if i ever start reading non internet things again ill check them out
>>
>>52283958
Quintet not Quartet.
>>
>>52283934
>>52283937
>>52283952
Please in my world I rule that in certain big towns or cities the local stuff can brew big kegs of it. But obviously it would be expensive I just would like to know how to reduce the cost of each individual one if you are buying like 20 of them.
>>
>>52282598
In 5e, Strahd learned magic from a lich after ge became a vampire.

Although he was given the "spark of magic" in the cradle, so shouldn't he be a sorcerer?
>>
throw in an extra potion maybe i dont know
>>
>>52283973
Finding PDF's isn't hard, I Think I have all the main ones in PDF form, not the cleric ones though.
>>
>>52282989
The difference is that they voted for something that acted to encourage legal migration. Nothing wrong with immigrants in the wall they asked for.

With Donald, it's just a matter of clapping your hands over your ears, going "lalalalala," and pretending the Mexicans will just go away. It's not there to encourage legal migration, it's there to discourage those dirty brown people from ever thinking they can be a part of us.
>>
>>52284008
by non internet things i mean books, if its not a sourcebook i dont really care at the moment
>>
>>52284030
Ah, gotcha.
>>
Does multiclassing mystic break anything?
>>
>>52284089
Yeah, it's playtest, it is not for multiclassing.
>>
>>52284098
This isn't a useful answer if you can't explain what actually breaks.
>>
>Gauntlets of Ogre Strength raises STR to 19
>Ogres only have 18 STR
>>
>>52284098
How so? Why do people bother responding to "what is X like?" questions without giving reasons or examples?
>>
>>52284129
gauntlets of strong ogre strength
>>
>>52284089
UA material doesn't have rules for multiclassing mystic or any of the UA material for that matter. it's not balanced for that and you can tell that pretty clearly as some of their UA's have been very front loaded in terms of archetypes and classes.

if you're the type that likes to have your players have a higher than average power level, or you feel confident enough in your ability to balance it on the fly, it's not a bad idea to homebrew your own rules. but as a general rule of thumb, don't multiclass UA material.
>>
>>52284164
kek
>>
>>52283164
>That name

Wew there Hermes Trismegistus.
>>
>>52284158
it literally starts with playtest do not multiclass thats why.
>>
Again asking thoughts on awakening the moss/mold in my druid's beard
>>
File: IMG_0594.jpg (85KB, 640x549px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0594.jpg
85KB, 640x549px
>>52281238
Are there any extended rules for 1v1 duels? Something to make it a bit more interesting or involved than just trading turns to hit AC?
>>
>>52284184

he does worship thoth
>>
>>52284196
Do it, then when people ask who you're talking to you can say, MY BEARD, YE TROGLODYTE!
>>
>>52284196
Yes but why
>>52284218
Not really, Battlemasters sort of rule the roost of maneuvers and such. As a DM I would have different things going like moving platforms/playing fields, or throwing in new interesting weapons so the fight doesn't get boring.
>>
>>52283164
you should consider making a nickname for your character lmfao

i do like your character otherwise tho
>>
>>52284227
and it will gain a movement speed, thats just weird
>>
>>52284238
because hes a dwarf druid and dwarfs and beards and yah
>>
What's the whole thought process of allowing cantrips to scale with character level rather than class level? You can say hi to Cthulhu and he'll give you a 4d10 infinite use force spell.
>>
>>52284252
Moss tentacle beard, it can stretch out to the length of it's movement, or if you die, takeover somebody elses beard! :D
>>
>>52284276
invasion of the beard snatchers
>>
>>52284174
>>52284098
Well yes, I understand that. But maybe someone wants to try, and either wants to make adjustments or know which combinations should be avoided. I know it's a little strong but nothing jumped out to me, but maybe I don't have the best eye for so I thought I'd ask.
>>
>>52284221
But they're the same person.
>>
>>52284269
Casters should get incentive to multiclass because they're there to guide us filthy martials and our extra attack.
It's almost never important outside SorcLock.
>>
>>52284269
Probably to allow better scaling with everything else. A lot of spells have more concrete definitions and abilities so unless you're tweaking them that's what they are, whereas you'll probably be getting some magic or improved weapons and things, like silvering or some kind of enchantment.
>>
>>52284298
I'm just a salty Sorcerer that doesn't understand why our short rest bonus happens at level 20 and not level 1.
>>
>>52284269
if it were up to me I'd scale it with caster level
>>
>>52284269
Because they're supposed to shit anybody can learn.
>>52284289
Yes, thats awesome see if your DM will let you have it.
>>52284294
Try and tell us the results then, because nobody else will until official rules come out for it, but don't whine if you find something broken and your DM bans that shit.
>>
>>52281654
Don't think of it of a carrot and a stick. You can't do both. Give a carrot. Reward good behavior.

But don't think of consequences think of a natural progression. A new antagonist who wants to annoy the party and hassle but not harm is a new aspect to a story. But never think of it as a stick. Negative reinforcement is stronger. But new hooks are fun. Maybe those nerds respect you parties strength and want the party to go rough up some rival apprentices. Just one more in a long rivalry.
>>
>>52284340
statistics for awakened shrub, i could probably make a mold afro
>>
>>52284357
just checked my source for the beard plants and its algea
>>
>>52284357
Hm, I haven't tried my hand at creature statting yet, so anybody else want to weigh in?
>>
>>52284385
it has like 10 hp it seems pretty reasonable
>>
Give me a name for a creepy Lizardfolk Cultist of a "God" of death (He's really just a powerful Necromancer). Puns and jokes are preferred.
>>
>>52284445
Horny toad
>>
>>52284445
Lord Kroak
>>
>>52284445
Crosses River.
>>
>>52284296

yeah just like when mexicans name their kids jesus. its because their kids are actual jesus
>>
File: race4.jpg (14KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
race4.jpg
14KB, 400x268px
>>52282514
Just jumped into the thread, but I'd be down to play test.
>>
So, could you go with a Theurge of a domain for 6 levels and then a Cleric of the same domain for 6 levels in order to get 4 uses a day of your domain's Channel Divinity?
>>
Taking wizard levels on an arcane trickster really was a slippery slope.
>>
>>52284296
Hermes is not a god of knowledge, or magic, he's a messenger not a librarian,
>>
>>52284508
Yes. I highly recommend either Tempest, Grave or Trickery.
>>
>>52284523

The Greeks related Thoth to their god Hermes due to his similar attributes and functions.[20] One of Thoth's titles, "Thrice great" (see Titles) was translated to the Greek τρισμέγιστος (trismégistos), making Hermes Trismegistus.[21]

from wikipedia so u know its real
>>
>>52284570
I Don't care what ancient propaganda to convert Egyptians to the Greek gods was, Hermes is not Thoth, their base portfolios are only tangentially related.
>>
>>52284321
Hey, wizards only get a 6th and 4th level at level 20, it's balanced.
Just because theirs starts at level one doesn't make the second level spell at level 20 any worse.
>>
>>52284611

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what you think, because I'm pretty sure both are fairy tales... kind of like the game dungeons and dragons... works of fiction.

I mean I understand your masters in theology has to be put to use somewhere tho, so I am interested in hearing more.
>>
what other uses can the awaken spell have
>>
>>52284652
I don't have a masters in theology, but that shit is basic propaganda, it's not harrd to see that the Cult of Hermes was like, "How do we get more worshippers guys?" "Hey, you remember those brown skinned savages Across the sea lets say one of their gods is our god" I also know its imaginary, but Greek Mythology, in fact mythology in general is an interest of mine, and Thoth and Hermes are not the same god at all.
>>
Can a Shield be refluffed as an Arm Bracer that's thick and too heavy to handle items? I want to be a Fancy fighter but single weapon with no shield's crap.
>>
>>52284700
Awaken Stone, make talking mountains.
>>
>>52284709
So lose the shield completely, and don't be a pussy.
>>
>>52284715
has to be an animal or plant sadly
>>
File: songbird1.jpg (212KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
songbird1.jpg
212KB, 760x596px
>>52284700
Create a breeding program for intelligent animals.
>>
>>52284715
Oh shit that reminds me I wanted to add in a giant sentient Mountain with a dungeon inside for my players. They have to clear out all the Monsters because they're getting worrying close to his stone cold heart.

It's gonna become an Ice Dungeon with the Mountain talking to them and trying to guide them. He hasn't paid much attention to his cave system for about 20,000 years though.

If they teach him love it's a Fire Dungeon on the way out.
>>
>>52284761
so he kills himself because no one loves him
>>
>>52284770
The party loves him.

Or a future plot hook to pay off some Druids to animate a female Mountain.
>>
>>52284740
Awaken Cats and sell them to Psychopaths AKA Wizards then, they should get along swimmingly.
>>
>>52284780
mountain sex?
>>
>>52284789
Most likely will end up with linking Cave systems if this works out, yes.
>>
can I cast stoneskin on my awakened tree
>>
>>52284780
>>52284789
I'd stroke her orogenous zones.
>>
File: hut.jpg (58KB, 425x444px) Image search: [Google]
hut.jpg
58KB, 425x444px
Could I get an opinion on this:

>Casting Leomunds Tiny Hut
>Jump at the last second
>It appears around me in mid air
>It is immobile and cannot be moved
>Does it remain in mid air?
>>
>>52284845
Whoopi Goldberg volcano now ive seen it all
>>
>>52284872
Don't see why not. Why do you want to bother though?
>>
>>52284872
no you fall through the bottom
>>
>>52284909
Are you saying that because you think its a dome? because its a hemisphere i.e. a floor.

Or because the walls don't stop you moving through them ergo you'd just fall out?
>>
>>52284877
Actually it's Marlene Kamakawiwoʻole.

(She was the wife of a musician and Hawaiian independence advocate. Pixar did a short featuring versions of him and his wife as volcanos. It's called Lava)
>>
>>52284872
>A 10-foot-radius dome of force springs into existence around and above you
>not below

Either
1. As you fall and the hut is cast mid-air, you leave the area of the spell and it ends
or
2. You create the first half-useless Leomund's Tiny Hut, since creatures, spells and objects can now pass beneath the border.
>>
>>52284872
It appears on the ground.
>>
>>52284919
i know i was making a joke. saw the short in the theatre
>>
>>52284926
>not below

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/823774362293542912

But if you did leave it, it would disappear I hadn't considered that.

>>52284928
Why? It appears around you, wherever you are.
>>
Any good guidelines on creating a heist? I want it to be challenging and exciting, but I really dont want it to break down into my PCs drawing their weapons. Otherwise it's just a glorified dungeon with a treasure room.

The heist itself is sort of a side quest that ties into the main one. The thieves guild of the town have asked the PCs to steal a box of rare expensive stuff (but it's actually the McGuffin that the BBEG wants), and they need to break into a warehouse owned by a crime family.

The thieves guild is willing to provide them with disguises and some consumables to make the job easier. The guild just wants that box, and the PCs can keep whatever else they steal.
>>
>>52284938
Ah right, whoops. Sorry about that.
>>
>>52284946
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHm3Ct0Zh0
>>
>>52284958
its alright, jokes arent always clear on the internet
>>
>>52284946
break in
get thing
????
profit
>>
>>52284709
it doesn't work in 5e
>>
>>52284942
>https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/823774362293542912
Huh. Eh, I still like my version of LTH better, since stuff can burrow beneath it. But yeah, if you go by his ruling (which I guess you should if you want RAI), then case number 1 would happen.
>>
>>52284709
Use a tiny buckler (not the D&D buckler, the actual tiny parrying-shield version). Same stats, better appearance.
>>
>>52281928

For me: 2 Chessex 7-die polyhedrals, a generic 7-die polyhedral, 7 gold d10s and 3 silver d10s, 3 spare d20s, a d10, and a d6.

For sharing: 17 cheaper sets, roughly 50 loose mixed dice.

The "d6 box;" 5 Chessex boxes of 12 16mm d6s, 2 Chessex boxes of 36 12mm d6's, and roughly 10-15 extra d6s

Plus 8 hardback books, 2 softback books, 3 pencil cases of art supplies including a 3 hole punch, stapler, 1' circular punch, 26-chamber folding file just for forms and folding maps, 1.5" DM notebook, 2" maps/pregen notebook, 24"*x36" 2-inch dotted dry erase board, and a ziploc bag for wood blocks and wipe-off markers.

I am not the DM because I chose to be. I am the DM because God wills it.
>>
>>52284218
Nope.
The only thing I can think of is a Disarm action that's listed as an "optional" rule in a hidden corner of the DMG where people won't see it.
>>
>>52284946
The PCs have to break in, and cause a lot of havoc, kill as many people as possible.

While this is going on the thieves guild walks right in and takes the box, because they know they can't trust a bunch of murderous sociopaths to get the item the BBEG wants to use to kill the PCs and everyone else.
>>
>>52283987
From a story perspective, it makes sense a lot of times that vampires learn their powers afterwards, though I think Strahd was definitely originally supposed to be based off the vampire magic users.
>>
>>52283282

The same emblem that is used on the King's/Warlord's crown is used on his battle-kin's gear, but each man wear's his differently. Someone who protects and endures might wear his on armor or shield, whereas someone cunning may hilt their daggers with them. Magicians may wear them as necklaces or rings, whereas their guide may decorate his holy books in them.
>>
>>52284024
Sounds like a strawman.
>>
>>52284269
Because then you can use cantrips as a race or class feature without them being weakened.

If you wanna see what happens with caster level not being the same as character level, see the retardation in 3e. Some people wind up with a caster level far below theirs, and others wind up with a caster level far above theirs.

yes, I'm aware that I'm using caster level in the sense 3e uses it, which is different from the sense 5e uses it
>>
File: 1470294635820.jpg (82KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1470294635820.jpg
82KB, 736x552px
I'm in the mood for a Pirate-themed adventure. Anyone have a good suggestion for a College of Shanties Bard?

And not that tribality crap: http://www.tribality.com/2015/09/03/bard-college-of-the-shanty-master/
>>
>>52284709

I refluffed a shield as a full vambrace (enclosed hand) for a player. The way 5e works is that a "shield" is a thing that grants +2AC, takes up one hand, weight 6lbs, costs 10gp, and requires an action to don and an action to doff. Exactly what that looks like or how it works is up to DM/Table/Whoever's Writing the Adventure.
>>
>>52284709
>Buckler
>+1 AC
>can't benefit from shield stuff besides AC
>shield arm counts as free hand
>>
What are some good spells to prepare as a Cleric levels 1-3? Once I get to 4 I should be able to decide but I've never played a preparing caster.

I'm a Death Cleric being allowed to use Potent Spellcasting if that changes anything.
>>
Theurge still broken? I notice they get the clerics 17 at 14, still.
>>
>>52285561
Do compare the clerics 17 to the wizards 14 though. Most are about the same power and only Life is bonkers on a Wizard.
>>
>>52285493
Healing word is a must, chill touch is your go-to cantrip as a Death Cleric.
Bless is a nice buff for the party early on.
Guiding Bolt is a powerful blasting spell, if it hits
>>
>>52285593
At low levels should I bother with healing word and cure wounds or just healing word?

Also is vampiric touch any good? Does it work with touch of death?
>>
>>52284321
To encourage us to multiclass into wizard for all those sweet level 1 utlity spells and the ability to not damage allies with aoe evocation spells.
>>
>>52285493
Get Healing Word and if you have the chance, Bless doesn't look like much, but an extra d4 is huge early on.

Other than that, Guiding Bolt and Detect Magic are a okay
>>
File: 1486028223451.png (10KB, 309x266px) Image search: [Google]
1486028223451.png
10KB, 309x266px
Should I bother with dex as a pally who will probably get heavy armor at some point?
I'm rolling an elf fucking shit and I don't know whether to dump it or use my +2 to keep it high or stop metagaming and use stats that fit my background
>>
>>52285609
Some people like cure wounds to heal after a fight, but imo it is just coddling, and a waste of a spell slot. Your key thing is to healing word guys that go down, and buff guys that are up, so they can pour on the damage as quick as possible.

You are part of that btw. Whenever you can without costing a party member, dish out damage. Never let your party get sucked into the never-ending revive fight, because that is one you'll probably lose.

Back on topic, Vampiric touch is kinda shitty, you don't really want them getting that close to you, and every hit on you at that range can break your concentration and end the spell.

However, as a Death Cleric, consider Inflict Wounds for when they do, combined with your Channel Div for damage.
>>
>>52285673
>using stats that fit your background
You motherfucker. Nu-/tg/ is real.
>>
>>52285689
Alright sweet. I liked the idea of the vampiric touch heal but I could be doing 5d10 inflict wounds instead.

So healing word, bless, inflict wounds and either guiding bolt or detect magic look good for level 1?
>>
>>52285673
Bonuses to DEX saves don't hurt.
>>
>>52285714
Vampiric touch can be used multiple times as well.
>>
Have we got those lair maps from Volo's in decent resolution somewhere?
>>
>>52285842
No. The person who shared the tokens for it didn't understand that he could set up a game on Roll20 for VGM to get those.

If anyone has it on Roll20 and wants to share it, though, we have open arms.
>>
>>52285374
In my playgroup we have a slight variant armoury, most stuff is the same, a few things added and a few things changed and some price increases, most notably.

Small shields, armoured gauntlets, bucklers and the like are "Light Shields." these grant +1AC and the hand is considered free for minor interactions. For example you can use your hand to load a hand crossbow or sling, draw and administer or drink a potion, pull a lever, hold a torch or even commit somatic spell components. You may not use it for more intricate tasks, such as grappling, using a two handed weapon or making attacks with it.

Your standard, common shields are most often that, standard "Shields". They occupy the hand and grant +2AC. Clerics and Paladins notably do not get away with brandishing their shield as part of their holy symbol, and must freely touch and display their holy symbol using an unoccupied hand. Aka, take a light shield, or take Warcaster feat.

Towershields, Pavises and other repurposed doors fall under the catagory "Heavy Shields," these grant +3 AC, but the user has disadvantage on initiatve rolls and require 15 strength or suffer a movement speed penalty.

Other changes.

Chain shirt is Light Armour, but gives Stealth Penalty.
Half-Plate is AC16 and requires 13 Strength or be slowed.
Greatclub is 1d10, Two-Handed, Heavy.
Greatswords, Mauls and Axes all deal a unified 1d12 Dice, removing questions of optimisation between features like Great weapon fighter and Brutal/Savage criticals in favour of choosing what weapons they want to use.

Many Martial weapons are removed and replaced with 1d8 Damage, may either have Finesse or Versatile, Name and style it whatever you want.
A heavy wartrident might be Piercing, Versatile.
A rapier might be Piercing, Finesse.
A broadsword would be Slashing, Versatile.
A sabre or longsword could be Slashing Finesse.
A warhammer or flail would be Bludgeoning, Versatile.
A sharp warpick might be Bludgeoning, Finesse.
>>
>>52285851
Aw. All I could find in the mega were the maps to the Beholder lair.
>>
>>52285673

It's not the end of the world to have a bit of both but I find it helpful to think of heavy armor as a way to dump Dex without tanking you AC. In a lot of ways Dex is still the defensive stat and Str is still the damage stat, but in 5e we're talking inches, not miles.
>>
>>52285673
You could just throw an average score onto it and go with medium armor, and have a chance to pass stealth checks.

Also >>52285734
>>
>>52285864
So far it's working out pretty well, people are taking different shields for differen reasons.

We have a Valor Bard, using Chain-shirt because they don't care about the stealth penalty, but they are using the Light-Shield for when they are using their spells or interacting with the environment heroicly, as they put. Our rogue however cares about his stealth, so is using studded leather.

Our Ranger is using a Standard Shield, because he doesn't want to lose his advantage to initative.

Cleric is using Tower shield and simply leaving their other hand free to hold and brandish their holy symbol.

In our other game, one Barbarian is using a Regular Shield, same reason as the Ranger.

Our other Barbarian is using tower shield, because they are trying to keep their AC high and avoid using reckless attack.

Our 12 dex, hobgoblin wizard is thinking about picking up Moderately armoured as his next feat, to get medium armour and shields to pump his AC up but isn't sure if he wants to use a light shield and his martial weapon, take a normal shield and keep his hand free or hold his focus. He isn't keen on the idea of getting slowed both in initiative and movement when positioning and laying down control spells is important for a wizard, but potentially being a 20AC Wizard is very tempting, but of course this all comes at the cost of not upping his INT further.
>>
>>52282090
Why is it that I'm so skittish about playing with strangers?
>>
>>52285953
Social anxiety?
>>
>>52285864
> bloating options and most of the are trap
You should apply for job at Paizo.
>>
>>52285996
I'd love for some feedback, what options do you feel are bloated other than adding 3 shield variants?
I tried to minimise a lot of the bulk and redundant options in the weapons and armoury.

What would you consider "Trap" options or bloat?
>>
>>52285963
Probably. I'm also worried about being a massive autist in front of others.
>>
>>52286062
The 3 shield variants, each with its own freaking little rule.
>>
How do you have fun in combat as a fighter?

Not trying to start shit, but i'm having serious trouble staying engaged when each round boils down to:

>get in front of monster
>hit it twice, maybe use a maneuver
>end turn, then wait for the other 5 players and however many monsters the DM's using to go

I've only really played casters before this, am I just not getting the class?
>>
>>52286124
Well I mean basically it boils down to.

+1 AC, Free hand.
+2 AC.
+3 AC. Disadvantage on Initative, Req 15STR.

Does writing it out like that look better to you?
>>
>>52286131
Grapples can make the combat more interesting, but ultimately yeah fighters are kinda boring at fighting.

Take a Longsword or Axe or something in a versatile grip, use Battlemaster maneuvers to trip them and then grab with your free hand, locking them down and dragging them about the battlefield as you please.

This is about as interesting as it gets for a fighter.
>>
>>52286163
Are Barbarians more interesting?

I'm kind of tempted to make a Logan Ninefingers kind of character for the next campaign, but if it's pretty much like this I won't bother.
>>
>>52281692
What is this C team and who is the b team
>>
>>52286131
This is why I am always on the lookout for ranged monsters to sprinkle in and hazardous terrain/traps.

My ideal fight is something like

1 melee bruiser at a chokepoint
1 spellcaster behind devastating hazardous terrain
1 archer in an area where he can maneuver freely, possibly with exotic movement
>>
>make a level 5 mystic
>I can revive people from death for 5 psi points, nuke someone for 5d10 points, give myself a +3 weapon for a couple minutes, give myself wings or gills or claws, and very easily have an AC of 19 whilst naked
>>
>>52286337

That's nice, but still no cleric.

Odd that the cleric, and not the evoker or sorcerer, is the standard damage dealing spellcaster in 5e but whatever (sorlock aside).
>>
>>52286363
Whatareyoutalkinabout
>>
>>52286152
For what it's worth, I like your stuff. Not sure on simplifying the weapons that much, but I could roll with it.
>>
>>52286400
1st level spell slot - Guiding Bolt, 4d6 damage + ally advantage (or Inflict Wounds, 3d10)
2nd level spell slot - Spiritual Weapon, 1d8+wis mod bonus action attack for 10 rounds
3rd level spell slot - Spirit Guardians, 3d8 aoe for 10 rounds

3rd level spell slot is also used to revive people from the dead.
>>
>>52286444
Trips of truth
>>
Been having trouble balancing fights

One of my players is a v human sharpshooter archery yadda yadda fighter and he does absurd damage

He sharpshooters every turn and still has a +4 to hit on it, his damage is so absurdly huge compared to the rest of the party and its literally all he does, never ever ever does anything but sharpshooter arrows.

What exactly can I do about it? Giving everything huge ac just makes it more annoying for the rest of the party, they've got like +6 to hit vs his +9

I also have a big problem with rests. How the fuck do I make rests reasonable? The party tries to long rest after every fight and I've just told them nope can't long rest until 16 hours after your last long rest.

Just throwing fights at them during their rest is lame and with this party most combats take 30+ minutes easy. What do I do?

Luckily for me we're now switching off GMing so I don't have to deal with this any more, I have to say GMing is a fucking shitty slog when your group is like mine
>>
>>52286152
>wear 2 bucklers and GWM
>>
>>52286444
Spirit Guardians is far from likely to deal comparable damage to fireball, due to the nature of concentration and it not triggering until the enemies individual turns.
>>
>>52286471
He defined "free hand" differently in the original description, he couldn't use a two handed weapon wearing one. And I don't think there's any rules supporting benefiting from two shields anyway.
>>
>>52281497
Finally my tiefling warlock has a reason to be
>>
>>52286483
Even if everything else worked out, i can't support giving another advantage, in the form of +1 AC, to dex based ranged characters.
>>
What is even the difference between old Theurgy and new Theurgy.
>>
>>52286479
>Spirit Guardians is far from likely to deal comparable damage to fireball,

Great point actually, Fireball is utter garbage compared to Spirit Guardians.
>>
new thread >>52286513
>>
>>52286497
Well you see, now they can use Intelligence for everything. Can't have WIZARDS needing wisdom, now can we?

>>52286510
Anon, as having played a War Cleric for a year and a half, i can tell you that, while Spirit Guardians is great, it pales in terms of damage output to comparably leveled wizard options.
>>
>>52286494
>dex based ranged characters
You mean ranged as in throwing daggers? Because the other anon said the buckler can't be use with two-handed weapons. Hm... Should probably add somehow that it doesn't work with crossbows, hand crossbows specifically.
>>
>>52286458
I think add some creature that as a reaction increase AC and use that on those sharpshooter or that monk ability to catch arrow or resistance to piecing dmg
>>
>>52286458

If he can used his -5/10 every shot and still get +4 that means he has to be around the 9-12 level area, right? At this point you shouldn't be looking for either the threat or weakness in a monster to be its HP anyway. Try throwing in some Banshees or a Beholder, or anything else equipped with Legendaries and/or Save-or-Suck
>>
>>52286576
Wait. If a Range Weapon is classed as having the ammunition trait, it says you need a free hand to use load said ammunition.

So what's the point of the one handed weapon like hand crossbow and sling then? You still need to use two hands, so there are effectively two handed weapons.
>>
>>52286768
No disadvantage for small characters, I think.
>>
>>52286641
+2 fighting style
+4 dex
+3 prof

So between 5 and 8
>>
>>52286826
Yeah the only place to applies to the heavy crossbow and long bow

If it takes two hands to operate a hand crossbow, there is no advantage to using it over a standard "two handed" crossbow or short bow. You still have to use two hands.
>>
>>52284872
It doesn't happen because you fucked up the 10 minute long ritual by jumping.
>>
>alchemy has a set
>but no skill

I want to make pots(other than healing) with herbalism without being a caster.

Reere ua craftibg when
Thread posts: 403
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.