[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 446
Thread images: 31

File: Wizard on the Subway.jpg (523KB, 1000x1374px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard on the Subway.jpg
523KB, 1000x1374px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Wizard Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52281238
>>
Doing accents/voices for your characters, too much effort and difficult to maintain, or worthwhile?

Current campaign ending soon and my next character is a Svirfneblin Awakened Mystic Urchin, and i was thinking of trying to go for a Durance-esque Pillars of Eternity manner of speaking, including the cryptic bullshit.

>>52286497
Well you see, now they can use Intelligence for everything. Can't have WIZARDS needing wisdom, now can we?

>>52286510
Anon, as having played a War Cleric for a year and a half, i can tell you that, while Spirit Guardians is great, it pales in terms of damage output to comparably leveled wizard options.
>>
>>52286536
>it pales in terms of damage output to comparably leveled wizard options.

Okay. The comparative level is 3.

I'm not remotely speculating on wizard vs cleric performance past level 6, mind, but if wizards become great damage guys compared to clerics, it sure as hell isn't in the level 1-6 region.
>>
How would you guys build a dex pally

I was going to go SnB, dueling and shield master. I know PAM pally is best damage wise but we really need a tanky fuck.

Probably was going to do Devotion or Vengeance.

I'll be level 5, also I have my choice of two uncommon magic items, I was prob going to do a cloak of protection and a +1 sword or mithril splintmail
>>
>>52286536
Just practice with the accent a little bit before the game starts. Don't try going super over the top with it, make it something you can hold up for at least a minute of continuous conversation.

It's worth it if your group likes that end of the RP aspect, or as a fun joke if your group is more there to talk shit and just play a game. Personally I say worthwhile.
>>
D&DBeyond isn't bad, but you can't click on any of the numbers to calculate attack, save, damage values.
It's just a glorified system reference document and not actually interactive.
What's the point?
>>
Speaking of wizards and clerics, I have a wizard in my party with one level of cleric. She already uses half plate, but now it seems she's thinking of getting a shield. I know of all the bullshit involving casting with your hands full, somatic + material components vs. somatic only, etc.

My question is, should I care about this? Should I go with the rules and require War Caster, or accept that the wizard can have 19 AC (24 with shield spell)?
>>
>>52286596
Getting you to pay more money for the same content?
>>
>>52286575
The control aspect of Spirit Guardians is part of what makes is such a good spell, and it IS fantastic, but a non-conentration 8d6 will typically do more damage to equal or more targets than Spirit Guardians will over it's duration.

That isn't to say it never will be better, it's definitely better if you have a high HP target and ways of keeping concentration, such as warcaster+resilient(con), and it's much better at holding a choke point, or delaying/kiting opponents.

In terms of raw damage output though, a fireball is much more likely to deal more overall damage in an average encounter.

As for options beyond level 5, your next big hitter is Flame Strike, which does identical damage dice to fireball.
>>
>>52286596
It's literally the second goddamn day of the phase 1 beta. More features are in the process of being added.

The eventual point will be to act as an all-in-one digital campaign manager/character sheet builder/reference tool, as a subscription service.
>>
>>52286596
Does it have an integrated dice roller?
>>
>>52286513
i just hate the concept of wizards mastering domain features before a cleric does. what a load of crap.
>>
Does Mystic work like tulpa stuff? Like, making a creature with powers that manifest as psionic effects?
>>
>>52286513
I AM ON THE SUBWAY RIGHT NOW AND THE WIZARD IS THERE AAAAAAAH
>>
>>52286649
Tulpas aren't real, and no, mystics don't work like that.
>>
>>52286620
But I don't want or need a spell that cleans up CR 1/2 garbage and does precious little else. I want a spell that helps with big fucking out of depth menaces (the things that kill people, generally) and does an average of 101 damage over a minute and will probably be usable in the next fight as well, plus the 9.5/r - whatever a miss takes out of that of Spiritual Weapon over that time. If I can sustain Spirit Guardians twice, then I probably already have Fireball tied.
>>
>>52286670
Casters don't do single target DPS in 5e. You're asking for something your class doesn't do.
>>
>>52286670
A fireball, on average, removes half the HP on a CR3 creature, which is the high end makeup of a fight, deadly, at level 5. Burst damage is much more important in a deadly situation than sustained, so doing such a substantial portion of enemy HP in a single round allows the rest of your party, hopefully, to eliminate some of the enemy.
>>
>>52286513
Reminder that War Magic archetype can be applied to sorcerers without changing anything and it's still better than anything sorcerers got in UA
>>
Since I know there's someone still out there that doesn't get this:

Mighty Leap: Allows you to jump up to 20' per point, no action cost.

Rapid Step: Increases your walking speed by 10' per point, costs a bonus action.

Wind Step: Lets you fly up to 20' per point, no action.

Step of a Dozen Paces: Lets you teleport up to 20' per point, bonus action, effectively costs all your movement.

Is there anyone who is now unclear on whether Mighty Leap ignores your movement speed and lets you just jump 140' and carry on like nothing happened?
>>
>>52286695
People don't LIKE sorcerers, get over it. They're lazy wizards that have magic powers just because and operate off charisma just because. It's like having a fighter who's good with swords without ever practicing just because. It bleeds special snowflake and Mary Sue.

Besides, the only thing people use Sorcerers for is cross-classing bait anyway, in which case they usually break the game. You could remove sorcerers as a class entirely and the game would probably be better for it.
>>
>>52286716
Fuck you buddy, I like sorcerers independent of how shitty they are.

>>52286695
You're not wrong, but fuck you too, whiner.
>>
>>52286680

>something your class doesn't do

2d8+3d8+1d8+3 a round isn't bad by any class's standards.

>>52286694
You can use first level spell slots to make up for the fact that you're merely doing half a fireball every round for 100 rounds.
>>
>>52286622
Why is the free 5eTools so much better?
>>
>>52286695
The metamagic faggotry nerds begin to bore me.
>>
>>52286754
Because it's free, first and foremost. It's not easy to get friends into the hobby when they have to buy a subscription for something.
>>
>>52286716
Oi, I like Sorcerers. I honestly think if you use the spellpoint variant, give them some extra spells and maybe add some cool Sorcerer only spells they could be good.

I'll play them without that though.
>>
>>52286751
3/8 isn't half, but putting that aside, you do realize that the ability to fireball WHILE concentrating on another spell is a fairly big deal, right? In dangerous fights, it's often better to use Bless than to have Spirit Guardians up, and in single target fights it's often beneficial to cast Hold Person if applicable.
>>
>>52286754
One is made by passionate people motivated by love, the other is made by wage slaves that, at best, have zero interest in the subject matter.
>>
>>52286767
That isn't even the best bit, everything is integrated so well. Why couldn't Wizards have hired Megaanon?
>>
>>52286770
>They could be good if they have these three things that they don't have by default.

So they're not good, is what you're saying?
>>
>>52286781
Because it's bad form to hire people you've enacted DMCA claims against.
>>
>>52286770
>>52286785
Sorcerer+Spell points, standard spell progression up to 5th level spells, mimic warlock spell level 6-9 progression, sorcerer can still upcast with available points as per the spellcasting feature, without the single 6-9 slot restriction.
>>
How should I level my Barbarogue grappler? I'm currently Barb 2 Rogue 1 but I'm not sure how I should proceed.

I did find a +1 rapier in my first session though so that was lucky. I'm playing AL so it's not just the DM trowing me a bone.
>>
>>52286778
>>52286794
This is why Wizards is so behind.
>>
>>52286798
If the DM lets you, pick up a level of Mystic for the Growth Disciple, 15 foot reach.
>>
>>52286785
No one's going to argue they're not great. Nor is Monk, Ranger, Berserker, Champion, Purple Dragon Knight (Which I'm sad about) and Undying Warlock.

Which is why many people have varying houserules in place to make them better. Until the day some other classes get the love the Reworked Ranger got.
>>
>>52286797
If you have to completely re-write the class as some homebrew thing to make it good, it's not a good class. The game already has enough casters anyway. The guy who said they were only good for cross-class bait was right. The only way to make sorcerer good is to use it's spell slots to fuel a better class's features, like Paladin smites.

Still not as god-awful of a class as Mystics though.
>>
>>52286819
Yes, the class is flawed, which is why i've taken measures to fix it for my game. I share that fix when the topic is at hand, because its been positively received in my play groups.
>>
>>52286774
>3/8 isn't half

27 vs 28... in exchange for a 100 round duration, ignoring friendly fire, etc.

Bless is good, but you may have to do the heavy lifting yourself. Hold Person is good... if you're fighting a humanoid, which are rarely single targets.

Besides, this was all in reference to a guy jerking off over the Mystic getting Inflict Wound tier damage scaling, and I needed to point out an ostensible support class is just as good. The point isn't support cleric vs damage cleric, just... that damage cleric is way more than adequate.
>>
>>52286814
>
Yeah, except those classes don't already have functional versions that are pretty much exactly the same aside from the casting-stat. Wizards are a strictly-better version of Sorcerers. But Rangers aren't a strictly-inferior version of Druids.
>>
File: 1455523910410.jpg (214KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
1455523910410.jpg
214KB, 600x620px
>Almost April
>Half the replies in this topic are still sorcerers whining or showing off their homebrew "fixes" to the class.

Never change 5e General. Never change.
>>
>>52286819

>If you have to completely re-write the class as some homebrew thing to make it good

Fortunately you... don't.

He's a guy with twinned Enhance Ability, Haste, or Greater Inviz, and at the end of the game has very limited high level spells known that he can twin as well as cash in lower level spell slots to fuel.

People don't like him because his fluff is "WHOA UNCONTROLLABLE MAGIC POWER..." and his crunch is "3e metamagic fuckery, ie the polar opposite of the sorcerer's 3e incarnation." Not because he's in any way bad, let alone Purple Dragon tier.
>>
>>52286819
Thank god I can agree with you on the Mystic, that thing's a train wreck of bad ideas.

Also it would take no more work to fix the Sorcerer then the Ranger which most people are happy about. I also think "Natural Magic" is a more popular trope then "What's effectively a Fighter/Druid locked in archery".

Also it's been around a long time and going to stay there in every edition moving forward.

>>52286831
Wizards don't have metamagic, natural abilities and/or spontaneous casting. I will admit they're frighteningly similar though, but isn't Fighter and Barbarian as well?
>>
>>52286513
Maybe I'm retarded but I don't see any changes to the Theurge. Is 'revisiting' it just literally posting it again?
>>
>>52286855
Other than taking the attack action, Barbarians and Fighters share no mechanics.
>>
>>52286808
I'm playing AL so only stuff from the PHB and one other book (I plan to go SCAG for BB and GFB with magic initiate).
>>
>>52286859
Theurge can use any domain and isn't wis dependent.

Theurge should shut up those cocksuckers who bitch about "bawww, clerics use weapons and armor... this is bullshit! we need to make the Knights Templar dude the caster in a robe with a stick dude instead!"
>>
>>52286863
Other then the spellcasting feature, Wizards and Sorcerer's share no mechanics.
>>
>>52286859
They don't need Wisdom, because clearly the issue with the Theurge was that it made the wizard too MAD.

Essentially, all your spells and DCs are using int, when they used to be cleric spells and didn't switch from wis to int for features stolen.
>>
>>52286875
I think you're talking about me there. Also yeah I like Theurges and have loved Cleric/Wizards from 2e.

I won't bitch about it much anymore.
>>
>>52286877
They have identical non-saving throw proficiencies, hit dice, and ASIs. Things you can't even use in the other comparison, which is ignoring that Spellcasting and their spell lists are the defining features of both classes.
>>
>>52286794
Fucking wat.
>>
>>52286902
Good thing their Spell lists and Spellcasting works differently. Wouldn't want their main features overlapping.

Also the only fixes a Sorcerer really needs is Spellpoint Variant (an Official option) and an extra spell every level or two until 10 and an extra spell every even level after that.
>>
Is there any creature sensitive to sound so I can use thunder based spell to paralyze them and pop their eye.
>>
How does WotC manage to be so fucking retarded? How can they mismanage so badly what could easily be the best edition of D&D?
>Barely any content released in, what, three years?
>What's been released is mostly decent or pretty good, with strokes of genius sometimes, but also a lot of "what the fuck were they thinking" stuff.
>Unearthed Arcana (save for a couple of brilliant releases) has been rather uninspired and/or unbalanced
>Yesterday's UA. No further commentary is necessary.
>Release D&D Beyond 3 years later than they should have
>C&D great (free) D&D tools
>shitty P2W MMO tie-in that literally nobody gives a flying fuck about, when they could have sold the rights to an actually competent game company like Obsidian and let them make new cRPGs
>C&D the guy who was making an UA Codex (this pisses me off to no end)
>Make the FR the default setting, which would not be so bad if they actually bothered to fix stuff. The SCAG and SKT's info conflict each other, for fuck's sake. Also Mystra died but she's fine lmaooo
>Barely any support for Eberron, and NONE AT ALL for any other.

God fucking dammit. I could go on and on and on.
It would not bother me so much if D&D 5e was actually bad. The problem is that they're so close to greatness, so fucking close to a new golden age of D&D... And they fuck up massively.
>>
>>52286917
Anon, part of the problem is that there is a grand total of 6 i think, its close to that spells on the sorcerer spell list that isn't on the wizards. And their Spellcasting Feature functions identically, because its a uniform mechanic among all the casters, so i don't know what you were even saying.
>>
>>52286938
I'm playing a Cleric of Helm, and it's awkward as fuck that one of my Deitys defining moments totally happened, sort of, except it doesn't matter.
>>
>>52286939
I have no idea what we're arguing about quite honestly. You believe the Sorcerer shouldn't be a class because it functions to close to a Wizard right? Also my point was about one having spontaneous casting compared to prepared casting, I much prefer spontaneous myself.

>>52286938
Hopefully they turn it around next year, with d&d5.5.
>>
>>52286962
Every caster uses some variation of spontaneous casting in 5e anon, prepared casting referred to when you would need to memorize specific spells on a per slot basis. Which is gone entirely from 5e.
The only difference is that a sorcerers spell list is only alterable on level up, with a smaller number of total spells than a wizard on any given day.

And personally, my argument is that the sorcerer isn't differentiated enough from the wizard, while also being mechanically inferior, and i posted my fix to that above.>>52286797
>>
>>52286962
Paizo will then release Roadseeker
>>
My DM's next campaign setting is Ravenloft. Do I just roll cleric and fuck everything?
>>
>>52286983
Well if you agree there's a fix I dunno why the fuck I'm complaining with you. Don't drink and 4chan kids.
>>
>>52287007
Roll a Paladin, purge the undead that plague our lands!
>>
>>52286948
Which defining moment?
>>
>>52287031
Time of Troubles, Helm killed Mystra cause she was a cunt who wouldn't listen. He was tasked with safeguarding the divine realms while all the other gods did their thing. She tried to get back anyway, and he had to put her down.

It alienated his followers, and he lost most of his worshipers on Toril.
>>
File: Swordceror.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Swordceror.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52286716
>It's like having a fighter who's good with swords without ever practicing just because.

Like this?
>>
>>52287058
His keeping of his divinity, whilst all others were relegated to avatar forms and wrecked havoc across the Realms was what caused his fall from Intermediate to Lesser status.
>>
File: 1456602517232.png (223KB, 405x797px) Image search: [Google]
1456602517232.png
223KB, 405x797px
>>52287091
DandDwiki is not a source of official content of any kind, despite the name. It's mostly god-awful homebrew made by 14 year olds who watch too much anime.
>>
>>52287091
Clever!
>>
>>52286536
I'm good at growls and bellowing tones so those I do. I save players the embarrassment of hearing me attempt otherwise by narrating everything else in the third person.
>>
>>52287058
Jesus Christ, what the fuck is up with Mystra? Why is she always getting herself killed in retarded ways?
>>
What do people to think of the OotA demon lord stats? Wizards has plans of statting the arch devils in the future?
>>
>>52287023
Paladins aren't flexible enough with their moral code to survive long in Ravenloft games I've been in

>That's evil!
>Yes and
>>
>>52287149
Because the authors are retards.
>>
>>52286798
Go barb 5 for extra attack so you can pull off the shove + grapple combo in one turn. Beyond that it doesn't really matter; level whichever class you prefer. Neither has any more features particularly helpful for grappling because grappling is a trap option you shouldn't be specializing in, but I personally went for rogue the rest of the way for evasion, uncanny dodge, and sneak attack to deal decent damage while keeping one hand free
>>
>>52287153
Ravenloft's a setting of deep black and pure white, its perfect for paladins. If you step off the narrow path, you are probably going to become a disfigured mutant in short order.

Seriously, anything, ANYTHING that a paladin probably wouldn't like is going to make you a horrendous mutant in short order.
>>
>>52286513
>get godmodded by a player
>i get pissed that the DM allows it
>somehow im the bad guy

Gotta love those special snowflakes who always get their way.
>>
>>52287209
Okay, anon, give us the story.
>>
>>52287153
But that's not how you DM Ravenloft, you dummy. It's such a black and white setting, their commoners are Lawful Good, every single one of them.
>>
>>52286587
You can be tanky in plate
>>
>>52287299
People I know go here from time to time, I'd rather not go into too much detail. The bare bones of it is I wanted to do something, a lawful good character rolled persuasion to convince me not to do it, DM had me counter roll. My counter roll wasn't higher than her persuasion, so I'm forced to do what she told me to do, even though its against my characters entire personality to do so.

I mean if that's how it works why can I not just persuade an ally to give me all his/her money and not complain about it? It makes no sense.
>>
>>52287322
1) Persuasion rolls against your fellow players are dumb and should not be a thing.
2) However, it sounds to me like you're playing chaotic stupid murderhobo rogue, so you had it coming.
>>
>>52287117
There's no swordceror on dandwiki.
>>
>>52286635
i think of it like, a cleric is trusting their god to give them what they need when the time comes. a wizard is investigating the divine in the same way as the arcane, as their god wants, and taking what knowledge there is to be found there earlier.
>>
>>52287195
I plan to go barb 5 rogue X eventually but I was wondering how to be most effective while leveling. I realize grappling isn't the best option but it seemed fun to do and it hasn't disappointed me yet.
>>
>>52287339
No, nothing of the sort. I wasn't trying to murder indiscriminately or anything, I wanted to take a magical potion that I found and keep it for myself. The lawful good character saw me and "persuaded" me to return it.

My character is obsessed with magic and magical items, being a loremaster. Nothing makes him happier than studying magic, finding magical stuff, learning about new magic and using magic.

So when I find a fucking magic potion in an abandoned town with no one around I'm going to want to keep it, not give it back to someone who isn't even there to get it.
>>
>>52287344
It's still dumb. Wizard is a great class already, he should not steal the class' capstone before they get it themselves.
>>
>>52287364
well, yes, true. but a wizard still can't play a cleric as well as a cleric can play a cleric, and in the cases that they can, a cleric will still always have more variety in their spellcasting anyway, due to not having to prepare them.
>>
>>52287382
wait never mind that was stupid, i was thinking of a homebrew
>>
>>52287322
>>52287361
this shit sounds fucking stupid. confront your shittastic DM over it, if they don't want to change then get out of there. no D&D is better than bad D&D
>>
>>52287356
extra attack asap, recommended rogue rest of the way. Tavern Brawler feat is handy strains your bonus actions even further. Avoid Grappler completely. Get resilient in WIS. Pump DEX/CON/STR
>>
>>52287361
>>52287322
>I mean if that's how it works why can I not just persuade an ally to give me all his/her money and not complain about it? It makes no sense.
Start literally doing that at every possible opportunity. The DM opened the gate, and now it swings both ways.
>>
>>52286983
The advantage of sorcerer is that they can spam the spells they know faster and to a much greater extent than a wizard. It's a shame so many spells can't be twinned.
>>
>>52287361
Ninja'ed loots from the party is bad table etiquette and it's pretty close to "That guy" attitude.

Why don't you give it to the party then state your intention of studying it and give reason why you would be the best person to keep it?

"BUT IT WHAT MUH CHARACTER WOULD DO" doesn't justify the players acting like a jerk.
>>
>>52287525
I didn't steal it from the fucking party, I took it from an NPC chest we happened across.

I already tried explaining that I would be the best person to keep the potion since I'm the most experienced with magic and the person it belonged to was most likely dead or long gone anyway, but whoops my 12 didn't beat her 17 so she wins and gets her way.

Fair right?
>>
>>52286609
Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
>>
Colville and Mercer already explained how to solve any issues, just forwardport from 3.5e and 4e until you've fixed your problem.
>>
>>52287537
Loots always go to the party first. You personally grab anything without discussing with the group first will be seen as stealing by the others. And you "explaining" happen after the fact, so everyone will give you a harder time to get away with it since they saw you as a looter now.

Seriously, it's just simple team work psychology and group manner. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>52286609
Does the character actually have the strength required to wear such armor?
>>
>>52286609
>>52287561
Go with war caster. The rule is there to balance (investing in feat vs ASI).
>>
>>52287580
You seem to be having trouble understand what happened. He didn't hide anything from the party. He stole from an NPC's stash and another player made him return it to the NPC's stash.
>>
>>52287561
You can cast any spell with only one free hand.
>>
>>52287586
Not having enough strength only lower your speed. Which is pretty much nothing when you can just cast Phantom Steed to negate that penalty and get a 200ft movement speed per round.
>>
>>52286609
Take noted that she can only use shield as a focus for cleric spell (and vice versa)
>>
>>52286513
The Wizard was drawn to this subway car thanks to the guy on the left's mullet.

Business in the front.
Adventuring Party in the back.
>>
>>52287640
I still want to make a sorcerer whose power is completely contained in his hair. I'm planning on making him black, with an afro that contains the power of the fucking sun, which he uses to fight crime and fuck bitches
>>
File: ba3.jpg (159KB, 960x534px) Image search: [Google]
ba3.jpg
159KB, 960x534px
>>52287679
Is that the power of Bayonetta?
>>
>>52287679

>black

>fight crime

pick one
>>
>>52287717
Of course. Biblical references to hair's power go back to Samuel, that dude who was stronger than everyone until his head got shaved. I'm planning on making someone like that to play for dramatic kicks, so i'll always have to be on the look out for sharp objects and make sure to lock my room tight at night.
>>
>>52286844
It's a good thing the latest UA was shoving the second most imbalanced Wizard archetype we've seen down our throats again, plus another one that completely spits in the face of 5E's design philosophy.

Wouldn't want anyone trying to make Sorcerers not hot garbage.
disclaimer: i'm a martialfag and think all casters should get bent
>>
>>52287753
Go full Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. Secret weapon, nose hair! Nobody will ever think to remove those hairs.
>>
File: hellish halo.jpg (105KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
hellish halo.jpg
105KB, 620x453px
>>52287751
Well, maybe not fight everyone's crime. More just fight his own version of crime. Like, beating the fuck out of people who wronged him before he found and cared for a dying phoenix.
>>
>>52287776
that's actually an excellent idea as a backup power source if his head hair gets cut.
>>
>>52287781
racism aside, i like the magical hair idea. as mentioned last night im planning on making my druid's beard magic
>>
>>52287811
ooh cool. you gonna have little birds and creature's living in it ala hobo woodsmen or are you gonna like, make it out of literal roots, and have a tree beard.
>>
>>52287586
Half plate is medium armor, no strength requirement.

>>52287629
>>52287601
Yeah, I'm aware. Spellcasting components get a bit tiresome when you have two different classes and have to consider two different focuses. Shield (divine focus) in one hand, staff or wand (arcane focus) in the other, but then when you want to cast a spell with Somatic but no Material you have to drop or stow your arcane focus. Having to think that through mid-battle is boring and drags the game. Also does a wizard really need 19 AC before even casting shield?

>>52287592
I think I will. The whole spellcasting components ruling just feels unnecessary, as I said above.
>>
>>52287827
no its full of algea (see green sloths) and im going to cast awaken on it so i can talk to my beard
>>
File: 1406662242769.jpg (338KB, 707x704px) Image search: [Google]
1406662242769.jpg
338KB, 707x704px
>>52286609
>>52287592

Read the rules. You'll realize that putting away or drawing objects can be done as part of an action (or movement!), meaning that if a spell is Somatic then the caster can just put away their focus and cast, and if it's Material then they don't have to do anything (or draw their focus if it's been pocketed) - the hand holding the focus counts as a free hand for the purposes of Somatic component.

Therefore, the 'can cast while having both hands busy with shields and armor' part of Warcaster only really comes into effect if the character truly can't have their hands free.

And all the drawing, sheathing, drawing again that is just going to bog down the game without actually impacting the caster's ability unless the player fucks up the action order, it's best to just ignore it completely except for the aforementioned circumstance.
>>
I've been wanting to update the Binder for 5th edition for some time now, I've always loved the fluff and mechanics. However, I only have a phone to work with, so it'll be a word file at best. At any rate would this be a feasible idea? A good one? I know flavor wise it'll step all over the warlock's toes and mechanically the Binder has a very nebulous but I like it nonetheless. Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_4542.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4542.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>52287679
Sounds like it's been done before.

[Spoiler]Not that that is a bad thing.[/Spoiler]
>>
>>52287834
that's pretty cool dude, though that begs the question at later levels if you cast transport via plants are you just sucked into your own beard and the algae left behind or would it come with you
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 1024x711px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 1024x711px
New group of friends and by the sounds of it we got a pretty squishy looking party, I'm thinking of going Oath of the Crown Paladin to tank.

I also want Con save proficiency and I'm undecided whether I want

To level dip in Sorcerer to begin with (either favoured soul or shadow) then multiclass into paladin and eventually get heavy armour through feat (probably start with variant human for warcaster)

Or begin as a fighter till level 2 then go into Paladin (seems like less effort and I can start as Aasimar)

As much as I want to choose great weapon master, I think it's probably better to go for a more defensive fighting style as well?
>>
>>52287868
no those have to be huge plants, any creature can enter those within the time frame
>>
>>52287855
It definitely seems more viable now than ever now that Wizards seem to have abandoned their previous 5e philosophy after realizing it made everything boring and bland as fuck.

But honestly Binders needed fixing in 3.5e, they were so fucking weak.
>>
>>52287883
i guess it would depend on how big your beard got then. still, luck to you, concept sounds cool.
>>
>>52287913

given that im already level 11 and will be spending 1000 gp to make my beard magic. and im only a humble dwarf it should all be fine
>>
>>52287873
If you go Sorcerer+Paladin, just do 14 DEX and stick to medium armor. Or do a DEX paladin and you won't even have to wear armor. Heavy Armor Proficiency isn't worth a feat here.

Don't do Fighter then Paladin, that's stupid and delays your Extra Attack till 7th and Aura of Protection until level 8. Just spend an ASI on Resilient (CON).
>>
>>52287851
You can only have 1 object interaction per round so if you sheath, you can't draw in the same round.

The hand holding focus only count as free hand for somatic if the spell has both material and somatic. ie. The cleric can't cast Cure Wound (only somatic component) while holding both weapon and shield. Same thing with Wizard's firebolt.

Sure, they could sheath it, but that mean no they will have no weapon to do OA for the rest of the turn.

Just make a quest line or something that give the person Warcaster feat before multiclass happen (or make it into a pre-req for multiclassing).
>>
File: robbin.png (239KB, 399x484px) Image search: [Google]
robbin.png
239KB, 399x484px
>>52287751
It's not like D&D is a superhero game anyway.
>>
>>52287873
Start with Paladin and get Resilient CON...? This will also help you with save some point-buy.
>>
>>52287935
>Sure, they could sheath it, but that mean no they will have no weapon to do OA for the rest of the turn.
Why couldn't they draw it as part of the OA action?
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 301x267px
>>52287933
Cheers anon, I've never multiclassed before so I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>52287873
1. Your team might be less squishy than you think it is / sometimes being squishy isn't a problem if people know what they're doing (Though they probably don't)
2. You get +fucking CHA to all your saves, your con will be just fine. You don't need to lower your HP and deny yourself heavy armour just to get con saves when you could pick it up as a feat later. If you start as a sorcerer instead of a paladin, you get 6 HP on your first level instead of 10 HP, which loses you 2 HP in the long run. I guess. And also since it loses you heavy armour proficiency, absolutely not worth it unless you didn't need it.
3. PAM or something would be better as a feat. Maybe some sentinel in there.
4. It's probably not worth going into fighter as a paladin.
5. Paladin2/5/6/7/11 + SorcererX is a pretty good multiclass with GFB/BB.
>>
>>52287956
phb190: Your turn can include a variety of flourishes that require neither your action nor your move. [...] You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, [...] you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack. If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action.

OA is a reaction, so it's not on your turn. Alternatively, even if it was you already used your one interaction with an object for that turn to sheath. You don't have a second one to draw.

I saw somewhere that someone official mentioned you could use that free action to swap weapons, but the twitter account was banned so I have no idea if it was true or not.
>>
>>52287956
How about you take your own suggestion and read the rule?

> during either your move or your action
NOT REACTION
>>
>>52288012
free action doesn't exist in 5e, so that person was probably on drug.
>>
I'm playing a bard and we're currently pretty low level, but it looks like I'm gonna be in the "healer" role, should I multiclass into cleric or something to boost my healing?
I'm not really sure how to fluff it IC, but I guess the first time we see some kind of unholy horror I can find religion.
Basically, do I want to go full healer, or focus on mitigation? And what are the best ways of going about those goals?
>>
>>52288020
Healing is an ineffective and unnecessary role. Buy potions or secure ways to rest
>>
>>52288013
Not them, but if you ready an action you use an action as a reaction, essentially.

But this sounds like it's about doing it on an OA, which is stupid.
>>
>>52288020
No. You should only heal to get your ally back up from unconsciousness.

Your friend can fight equally whether they has full health or 1hp.
>>
>>52288028

>midbattle

>all are down but you

>you were supposed to be healer

>some jackass on 4chan told you not to

>tpk
>>
>>52288020
Here's how healing works in 5e:

1. Get somebody in the party to have healing word.
2. Use healing word when anybody goes down to get them straight up again.
3. Done.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get aura of vitality at level 6 and to get a level of life cleric, though this is one of those cases as a DM where I'd be a bit wary of people multiclassing a single level dip for something like that alongside heavy armour, shields and all that bullshit.
>>
>>52288050
aura of vitality has saved many an ass in my campeigns
>>
>>52288017
I'm referring to what I quoted as a free action, since that's essentially what it is. I never played before 5e though, so if that term means something else specific then I'm probably making things needlessly confusing.

>>52288032
Interestingly enough, even though you can use your reaction to use your action off your turn, there are a whole bunch of abilities you then can't activate, like Extra Attack, because they specifically say "on your turn".
>>
>>52288044
>mid battle
>you could have helped the party take down and disable a monster quickly but instead you waste your turn raising a downed party member
>the monster downs him again
>>
>>52288028
>>52288042
Alright, but we're mostly new to D&D and people are taking sizable hits, so I'm going to be healing a bit anyway.
If I'm going to be focussing on damage mitigation/crowd control, what is the best way to go about that?
>>
>>52288050
>aura of vitality at level 6 and to get a level of life cleric

I remember when people first discovered that the bard could do this kinda shit, good times.
>>
>>52288020
Do you have Healing Word?
That's all the healing you need, because people fight just as well with 1 HP as they do with full HP, so during a fight all you care about is picking up people that fall down as efficiently as possible, and you do that with a level 1 ranged bonus action spell.
>>
>>52288070

>not using healing word for just a bonus action
>>
>>52288071
Kill the monsters before they hurt the players.
That's literally it.

Though you also have cutting words and vicious mockery, I guess.
>>
>>52287753
Samson was a Biblical Conan, Samuel was more like a Biblical Merlin.
>>
should my ranger go beast master for the novelty or actually be a functioning character
>>
>>52288109
Try revised ranger?
>>
>>52288109
no I play by the books because adventurers league. cant find any friends and they cant reject me there
>>
>>52288116
This. Revised ranger beastmaster is swell.
>>
>>52288124
I'm pretty sure it's legal in AL, as an exception.
>>
>>52288071
At low level, take stuff like Sleep or Hideous Laughter for controlling the enemies.
>>
>>52288138
is it? please show me
>>
>>52288090
precisely why i'm making a sorcerer
>>
>>5228814
My apologies, I misread
>>
>>52288172
Meant for >>52288149
>>
File: Binder Class.pdf (266KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Binder Class.pdf
266KB, 1x1px
>>52287901
Hmmm.... Gotta sweeten the pot then.

This is something i threw together real quick, a simple write up of the class abilities. It is not good, nor is it balanced, just a spitball. The idea was to try and translate it while keeping it as close to the original as possible. Any suggestions on how one could give it some more juice?

My current challenge, aside from issues of power, is how to fit archetypes in there. I currently have a divide between "make me stronk" binders and "make me... different stronk?" binders.
>>
>>52288172
so, be functional or have a giant badger for my dwarf ranger. this is the hardest decision I've ever made
>>
>>52288149
It's in the pdf itself
>Both will be legal for D&D Adventurers League play, and players of existing ranger characters will have the option to swap to the revised version.
>>
>alchemy has a set
>no skill

I hate to know UA crafting will be "for casters only".
>>
>>52288191
i cant seem to find it
>>
>>52288213
Don't all kits have just proficiency?
Except alchemy which also has expertise through the UA feat.
>>
>>52288189
Buy a trained pet. Or have a druid awaken one for more fun.
>>
>>52288225
First page, lower right, before the actual ranger stuff.
>>
>>52288240
which pdf though?
>>
>>52288254
UA The Ranger, Revised
>>
>>52288254
UA The Ranger, Revised, under the Supplements tab. It's mentioned in the forward of the article that it will be legal for AL.
>>
>>52288230
There is no alchemy skill
>>
>>52288294
it's a feat.
>>
>>52288294
So? There is also no lockpicking skill, as the that anon said it goes off having proficiency in the tools, alchemist supplies.
>>
>>52288292
>>52288288
this seems to say that it will be legal at some point but not right now, am I wrong?
>>
So I know no one cares about this, but I'm terrible at 'balance', so here's something. This is a (relatively) minimalist rendition of mostly fluffy changes to the Arms and Armor table of the PHB to be a tiny bit more historically authentic, with an aim of maximum compatibility with minimal intrusion.

Essentially there's more flexible polearm choices (which are criminally underrepresented everywhere), more melee dex options, and a sample of terribly balanced feats because the UA feats article was awful bollocks.
>>
>>52288294
Because it uses proficiency in alchemist's tools.
>>
File: 1456847441824.jpg (508KB, 1177x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1456847441824.jpg
508KB, 1177x1280px
>>52288124
>Be american
>Play a tabletop game
>Roleplay as an agile, slender ranger to escape from my 500lb reality.
>Be forbidden by rules from having too much fun.
>Have to wait until Mike Mearls gets off his ass and oficially releases the new ranger in PHB2.
>It isn't due until december.
>Fuckmylife.jpg
>Cope with despair by daily consumption of triple cheeserburgers, chicken nuggets and five times the recommended dose of adderall.
>Somehow make it through until winter.
>Finally, the day comes.
>Grab the splatbook with my shaking hands and push the kids away from the cashier.
>Tears are rolling down my cheeks as he scans the barcode.
>Tip the cashier, get on my mobility scooter and ride to the game store.
>Get shot on my way there.
>Tip the shooter.
>>
File: blazing lels.png (599KB, 1028x675px) Image search: [Google]
blazing lels.png
599KB, 1028x675px
>>52288479
fucking lol
>>
File: Andromeda gun.png (168KB, 478x299px) Image search: [Google]
Andromeda gun.png
168KB, 478x299px
>>52288479
DELETE THIS
>>
>>52288479
kek
>>
>>52288185
Is there a reason Binder wouldn't be a Warlock archetype? AFAICT, Binder is "dude who makes deals with many minor powers for many minor benefits. My idea for a 5e Binder would center around invocations, and the idea that each benefit is the result of a deal with a different entity. The abilities would revolve around the capacity to exchange invocations as needed, with the eventual abilities to get powers outside your pact/boon.
>>
>>52288479
>implying bullet could penetrate 10 inches of pure lard
>>
>>52286536
>Doing accents/voices for your characters, too much effort and difficult to maintain, or worthwhile?

I think it's always worth the effort. I actually have a list of "standard" accents and languages I use. Let's see...

- Abyssal - just a lot of horrible sounds.
- Aquan - Hawaiian
- Auran - Basque
- Celestial - Hindi, though the names of angels always end with an "-el" sound a la Hebrew.
- Common - American English
- Draconic - Sumerian/Babylonian, with a deep and booming voice.
- Druidic - Irish Gaelic
- Dwarven - Icelandic, with a Scottish accent
- Elven - Sindarin, with a Received Pronunciation English accent
- Genie - Arabic
- Giant - German
- Goblin - Spanish (Old World for hobgoblins, Mexican for goblins and bugbears)
- Gnoll - dog and wolf sounds
- Gnome - Dutch
- Halfling - Esperanto, with a low-class English accent
- Ignan - Japanese
- Infernal - Latin (Church Latin, specifically, not proper, actual Latin)
- Orc - Klingon
- Sphinx - Ancient Egyptian
- Sylvan - Weslh
- Terran - Greek
- Undercommon - R'lyeh Cthulhu speak with a New England accent
>>
As someone who started with 5th edition, would you recommend 4th edition adventures conversions to 5e?
>>
>>52288613
>Orc - Klingon
I now want to hear Shakespeare in Orc.
>>
>>52288652
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/%22Da_Tragedy_of_Hamlet,_boss_of_Denmark%22_by_Shake-da-boss-pole
>>
>>52288613
Side note, starting this Sunday I'm going to be DM'ing Out of the Abyss. Despite being arguably the least interesting one of the lot, Ront is the NPC prisoner I'm most looking forward to running, mostly because I'll get to break out my Worf impersonation.

>"Come to Ront, drow! Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQpu' Hegh wanI' Death is an experience best shared!"
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12574247
>>
>UA:Crafting is for wizards only (as it should be)
>martial sissies an heroing left and right (and leaving for memefag games like song of pepes animu cuckxia etc...)
>lesser casters drinking wiz cum (as it should be)

Cant wait for next week wizbros!
>>
>>52288558
I can understand your stance, and it's an entirely reasonable one. Admittedly this is sort of a labor of love, as my first character was a Binder. Realistically, yes, this should be a warlock pact, but regardless lm still working to make it a full class
>>
>>52288425
The main thing I'd like to see is a list of ingredients and their possible uses. Another would be if say a non magic user makes just some herbal style health potions what they feel would be best to balance it.
>>
How do I build a strong Bard with College of Lore?
>>
>>52288996
Give him 20 strength.
>>
>>52288996
Get shillelagh and use charisma instead.

Otherwise become a barbarian-ArcaneTrickster.
>>
>>52288795
You have to go back.
>>52283522
>>
File: fe3KUUY.jpg (22KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
fe3KUUY.jpg
22KB, 375x305px
>>52288795
>>
>>52289109
We took your cuckold dice
You think we wont take your chance of crafting too you little martial subhuman?!
Haha
>>
>>52288996
mountain dwarf
>>
>>52288386
Saved. Honestly, not bad. The only thing I'd add is giving +1 AC to Padded, as gambesons and aketons are something of an unsung hero in medieval armor; delegating them to the lowest AC AND Disadvantage on Stealth is just insulting.
>>
>>52288985
Speaking of this does anyone know of a semi decent homebrew for potions? The DMG and PHB make crafting healing potions pants on head retarded.
>>
>>52288071
You simply can't heal enough to make up for those sizable hits. Better to put your efforts into damage mitigation by killing or disabling enemies
>>
>>52288162
point is samuel wasnt stronk with long hair. he was an old cleric who did a little kingmaking on the side.
>>
>>52289582
oh right. then i got some characters mixed up. no big deal, i still got a cool concept out of it.
>>
>>52288386
The partisan throwing range is shorter than the generic improvised weapon range. Not necessarily in need of a change I guess, the net is like that too.
>>
>>52288386
Baroque is pointless. You might as well just take the +1 AC fighting style.

Instead, have it as 'While you have a one-handed weapon out and nothing in your other hand, you gain +2 to AC. Also, you may use the versatile propety while gaining this bonus to AC' should work as a niche for grapplers.

Tempo/flourish gives +1 to hit, +1 to damage on a greatsword. Normally, GWF would give +1.33 to damage on a greatsword, with no other benefit. This, however, is letting people completely invalidate strength outside of being used for polearm mastery. I just.. Would remove this fighting style.

Reach 5ft doesn't mean anything, I think. Should be reach 10ft.

>Free action
What edition is this?

>Single free attack
Should be that you may make a 'ranged weapon attack with a weapon that has the thrown propety'.

>Critical range is +1
Should be more specific, either 'You crit on a 19-20' or 'You crit even if you roll one below the critical value on the d20 die'... But actually, really, this is a sort of microbonus 5e doesn't like.
In fact, there's a lot of microbonuses.
I never really conisdered the UA feats to be awfully great.
Things like ignoring damage reduction is pretty much redundant in the end.

In fact.. Well, in the end, it feels like the armour section is pretty informative but the weapon stuff isn't really needed. I mean, with the short spear being pretty much a spear and normal spears not having reach, all this sort of stuff doesn't feel too necessary.
>>
>>52286513
>gain cleric's 17th level at 14th
Wizards stop favoring wizards!
>>
>>52286536
I use some kind of HL G-man/Emperor Palpatine mix for Illithids.
>>
>>52288386
>estoc
>two handed
What?!

Really?
>>
>>52289880
Most were, but there was nothing stopping one from being one-handed.
>>
>>52288613

>Abyssal - just a lot of horrible sounds.

Warlock: "Help! The maiden I tried to court ran away screaming for me!"

Bard: "I told you, read her a po-"

Warlock: "I did make one! I ever read it to her! I spent days and nights looking for the right words of love in the Abyssal language."

Bard: "We're going to have a talk later."
>>
teg I'm trying to homebrew a fighting style: Gauntlets, but I'm kind of struggling with it.

Other than the +2 to hit, attack on a bonus action and unarmed strikes causing 1d4 damage, what else makes sense here?

I'm thinking of a Southpaw Surprise feat to basically do GWM/Sharpshooters Feat tax.
>>
>>52289997

There's this meme thing going around that Celestials is such an exotic language that whatever language you translate it into, it always ends up rhyming.

So in my table, Abyssal and Infernal makes it so any way you translate it, it always ends in an insult, a curse word or a threat of violence.
>>
>>52289999
>+2 to hit, bonus attack, low damage
what is this, add-your-own-damage-dice-day?
something to make them work even better with sneak attack, smites, manouvers, and other assorted extra damage dice, wud be gud.
>>
>>52288680
>Start OotA
>Thrown into a cell
>First thing the barbarian does is beat the shit out of and kill Ront to establish dominance
So why isn't he interesting? Curious because we learnt literally nothing about him
>>
>>52286844
>>52287770

>all these people saying sorcerers suck

I'm new to the game and so far my sorcerer has pulled the party out of shit like 5 times with charm person or with other uses of charisma manipulation
>>
>>52290105

I don't know man. Fighting Styles seem to be there to accentuate something a weapon character is meant to be good at.

Big guys get empowered damage, ranged guys get empowered accuracy, armor guys and shield guys get extra armor and tanky.

I feel like a punch guy should sacrifice damage and accuracy for something, like more strikes. or maybe more crits.

The monk seems to agree with the former, but I wouldn't want to come up with a fighting style that wound just wind up being shit on just taking a level of monk
>>
>>52290230
Sorcerer isn't bad by itself. It's just pale in comparison to Wizard.

Like at level 5, Sorcerer know 6 spell. A Wizard can prepare 8-9 and the gap will keep increasing as they level up.
>>
>Play a Copper Dragonborn Storm Sorcerer
>Pretend to be a Copper Dragon in training

I don't know man, I'm having fun
>>
>>52287523

Imagine a dual channeled witch bolt
>>
>>52290266

I suppose that's an advantage, but I haven't had many moments where I've gone "damn I wish I had that spell" so far, I also like the AC bonus from draconic origins, I've had a couple of situations where I'd have been rekt but that's saved me and then I turned the situation around in my turn, shield has saved me a few times too
>>
>>52290279
Still the worst 1st-level spell
>>
>>52289755
yup no malice intended. I am now thinking about an Old Testament Party. Samson, Samuel, Moses, David. Barbarian, Cleric, Transmutation Wizard, Battlemaster.
>>
>>52290266

why did they think it was a good idea for wizards to have more spells prepared than a sorcerer knows? I thought the whole point was that sorcerers have more spells at a time but wizards have more total.
>>
>>52290313
> Draconic AC = Mage armor
Wizard can get it (pretty muh for free with arcane recovery)

> Shield
Wizaard has it too

They also have familiar to spam help action on ally. Seriouslly the only problem with Sorcerer is that they are Wizard-lite.
>>
Did anyone fill the mystic survey entirely?
>>
>>52290364

What do you think would save them? More metamagic points + metamagic restores on short rest would be my idea
>>
>>52290313
You don't have an AC bonus from draconic origin; your AC is the same as if you had cast Mage Armor

Shield is available to Wizards as well. The also get absorb elements, where you bizarrely do not. And you will want that badly once AC stops mattering and everything starts flinging lightning bolts/fireballs/etc

You are basically a discount wizard.
>>
>>52290387

Also I know you get the short rest restore later on I'm talking about from the get go
>>
>>52290378
I feel like I should contribute, but I also still have no clue if mystic is underpowered, just right or overpowered.
>>
>>52290031
Weird. I would've said if any language was based on a rhyme scheme it would've been Sylvan/Fae.
>>
>>52290136
>First thing the barbarian does is beat the shit out of and kill Ront to establish dominance

Funnily enough that's Ront's exact plan, except that OotA explicitly states that while the drow will allow prisoners to fight somewhat, they'll stop them from killing each other.

Ront's kind of boring by default in OotA because he's just an orc. He's boorish, stupid, and belligerent, but knuckles under anyone who can prove themselves to be stronger than him. He thinks he's being punished by Gruumsh for cowardice, since he had previously run away from a battle with dwarves near Gauntlgrym.

I'm going to change that, but how I do so depends on how the players react to him and if he's one of the NPCs who leaves with the PCs. That, and he's going to have an ongoing rivalry with Prince Derendil.
>>
>>52290387
Make sorcerer use spell point system by default for a starter.
>>
>>52290355
In 5e, the only point towards sorcerers is Metamagic.

And also that Charisma is more useful than Intelligence and that they have proficiency in Con saves.
>>
>>52290347
Sounds pretty good. Pretty much perfectly fits the "deity has sent us on a mission" trope, but i think it could be made unique here.
>>
>>52290395
>You don't have an AC bonus from draconic origin; your AC is the same as if you had cast Mage Armor

it's an advantage for a sorcerer singe you're not using one of your precious few spells known on mage armor. Compared to a wizard it's nothing though
>>
What are some >good homebrews for crafting potions?
>>
>>52290403

I created a mystic with no forethought or much planning as to what disciplines or orders are good, just went with what sounded cool, and also rolled rather low on my rolled stats and ended up with my DM complaining about how OP it is after a couple combat encounters.
>>
>>52290528
I played a Mystic and everyone agreed that it was pretty much useless, to the point that the DM gave me a Staff of Defense that lets me cast Shatter with my PP.

>>52290403
The class itself is fine.
Certain powers are obviously overtuned.
>>
>>52290439

but then Loremaster wizards got even better metamagic and war wizards can get boosts to all saves
>>
>>52290528
what were you doing?

>>52290403
there's a bunch of stuff that is outright ridiculous, and some other that is borderline unusable. orders are pretty shit compared to just the disciplines and anyone can end up being a god at anything if they pick they disciplines they want.
>>
>>52290553

What order/disciplines?
>>
>>52290553
>I played a Mystic and everyone agreed that it was pretty much useless
what were you doing as well?
>>
>>52290564

What specifically got him complaining was when we were fighting a Hydra (low level) which was intended to be a hard encounter. After the thing tore apart our barbarian I told everyone to line up behind my while I spammed the ability that keeps enemies from approaching for 1 turn. At level 3 I could spam that ability for 14 turns potentially.
>>
>>52290439
They should just go all in on metamagic for sorcerers. It's very in keeping with the concept of a raw untrained magician to shape their spells for a specific need.
>>
>>52290638
I'm half tempted to do something like this, make a system where they use SP solely to fuel spells.

Make it so if they want to dump them all into a couple high level spells they can, or if they want to conserve and cast a fuck ton of lower level ones they can do that aswell.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/localization

Now that 5e has proven itself not to be a total failure, it's going international.
>>
>>52287832
>>52287935

>no weapon to do OA for the rest of the turn

it's a wizard. why would they ever need to do that?
>>
>>52290699
Yup. And of course you'd also have fun deciding between a regular high level spell, or a fully upgraded lower level one.
>>
>>52290760
Main thing I'd set is they still have to be X level to cast X level spell, but instead of having one slot the can do it say twice but then are close to tapped out. Might tweak the amount of SP they get to help them compete slightly with Wizards but without access to the Wizard's spell list that'll still be hard to do.
>>
so did everyone give up on prestige classes entirely? WotC abandoned the rune scribe almost immediately after writing it up, and the offerings on DMs Guild are meager
>>
>>52287561
>>52286609
Don't allow them to do this shit in the first place.

For every level of cleric, give them one level of armour proficiency. First level gives light armour if the class has it, second level gives medium armour if the class has it, third level gives heavy armour if the class has it. I can't decide where shields are supposed to go, but you could probably put shields at the first level considering mage armour exists and they deserve a proper benefit, not just 'you don't need mage armour as badly'. You could also put it with medium armour because that's where it's naturally paired. You could also put it with heavy armour considering medium armour -> heavy armour is only really a +1 AC boost, whereas light armour - > medium armour is more likely to be a 2-3 AC boost.
>>
>>52290638
I had an idea to double down on metamagic, and create spells that have built in metamagic options.

Turns out making spells is hard, and adding complications makes it harder. I still think it's a good idea though.
>>
>>52290799
If they're not going to have access to the full wizard spell list, they need more devoted sorcerer spells.

Or ones from other lists, like the Favoured Soul. Just give them a hodge podge of spells from different lists, all to represent that a sorcerer doesn't really care about divisions like schools or divine vs arcane. They lack things like channel divinity, but it should be possible for a sorcerer to heal you. (Although a wild sorcerer healing you might be dangerous)
>>
>>52290560
Neither can Quicken nor Twin.
>>
>>52290387
Give them an actual niche rather than wizard lite. I personally tried to push them into high as shit damage dealer and make metamagic useful enough so they can actually use it to fill in their lack of spells.
>Spell Points instead of slots
>Expanded Spell lists
>More metamagic (lore sorcerer spell secrets as a metamagic, divided between lesser and greater)
>Improved metamagic (either as options for more points or just buff it like sculpt magic instead of careful spell)
>Lesser metamagic at 3 (twinned, subtle, lesser distant, empowered, careful, quickened, heightened, lesser spell weaving changing damage type to fire, cold, poison, lightning, necrotic, and acid
>Level 10 feature now change a spell on a long rest and greater metamagics (sculpted, maximized, greater distant, and greater weaving radiant, psychic, thunder and save changes
>Level 17 feature now exploding dice up to Cha Mod (does not work with maximized) and for each exploded die a sorcery point is regained
This is what I do. I just need to figure out how to change wild magic sorcerer's exploding die into something.
>>
How do you guys feel about evil alignment characters? Do you think it's alright to play some form of evil character in a party that's generally good or neutral if you have some justifying reason in the backstory or whatnot, or do you think evil characters should be reserved for when all of the party agrees to run an evil campaign?
>>
>>52290728
> French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Polish, and Portuguese
> Japanese
> Polish
> Before russian
Чyвcтвyeтcя плoхo, мyжик
>>
>>52290899
just because a character is evil doesn't mean they're gonna side with the campaign's villain. the Lolth-worshiping drow wizard in our party doesn't see eye to eye with the paladin of pelor, but they both cooperate to take down a cult of Yeenoghu with only mild grumbling between them
>>
>>52290899
While evil characters are certainly possible in the party, and they can create some interesting dynamics, here's what happens much more often:
> While nobody is looking, I take the treasure for myself.
> I kill the prisoner.
> I continue taunting the king with my cynical remarks.
> Do we split up? Good, I head to the nearest orphanage and burn it down when paladin isn't there to stop me.
> BUT THAT'S WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO!
>>
>>52290899
Depends on the player. Just like with all the alignments, each player's take on evil is completely different. For some people it means "be motivated by rational self-interest, but also don't metaphorically shit where you sleep by losing all the friends who protect you." These kinds of people can be trusted to play evil characters. For other people it means "you must do evil things even when they don't benefit you, and you are obligated to try to kill at least one of your friends per story arc." Keep these people away from evil characters.
>>
>>52290899
I think LE is perfectly fine, and NE can work as well if there's a common goal. It requires players that are sufficiently mature though.
>>
>>52290918
shh, no one wants you, filthy potato gobbler.
>>
>>52290873
Twinned polymorph is super cool until one gets rekt and the whole thing is ruined
>>
>>52290899
It works so long as the player is loyal only to the party. A kind of selfishness that's centered around only the people they see as friends or allies. That's not to say an evil character can't be self-centered or malicious, just that for the sake of party cohesion and avoiding table drama, they should place their fellow adventurers above most any other NPC in the game.
>>
>>52291008

I was thinking of a chaotic evil necromancer wizard that has become obsesses with reviving his brother and has tagged along with adventurers for the opportunity to practice resurrecting corpses of the enemies they slay, and is mostly harmless but makes disconcerting comments about how the barbarian with all his muscle would make a wonderful corpse one day
>>
>>52290918
Portuguese is basically Russian anyway
>>
>>52290899
As long as the player understands what a good evil character is.

Evil characters can manage to not openly be dicks, fuck eveyrone over and evil characters can have friends.

But they're often sinful in some way, self-indulgent, and that gives room for character development and some other dynamics.

A greedy character might not want everything for himself instead of for the whole party, but they might still insist that the party go and check the sidecorridor with the glint of money at the end instead of heading straight for the damsel in distress.
>>
>>52286695
Sorcery was a mistake.
Thanks 3E.
>>
Why is Druid not considered best caster in the game over those wizard dweebs?
>>
>>52286802
I miss Gleemax.
>>
>>52291144
Shitty spell list.
>>
>>52287058
1)If the metaphysics of your world require there to be a goddess of magic for magic to work, then there probably needs to be a goddess of magic, regardless of how often she does a dumb and gets killed.
2)People who like Helm shouldn't have nice things.
>>
what are my best chances at an eldritch or lovecraftian character?
i'm thinking mind fucks and/or arcane horrors.
>>
>>52291197
Warlock with a Great Old One patron.
>>
>>52291177
But wizard can not stand his own in melee battle? Wizards are pussies
>>
File: The return.jpg (222KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
The return.jpg
222KB, 800x1132px
>>52291197
Sounds like GOO warlock was made for you.
>>
>>52291144
Because bard exists.

Honestly though, druid is either the best or second best, and bard is best, and wizard is third best.

Bard is spellcaster but also skill-based utility.
Druid is spellcaster but also tanks shit and does shit.
Wizard is spellcaster but ritual-based utility and some other utility magics.

>>52291177
>Polymorph
>Conjure X
>Pass without trace
>Spike growth
>Also healing magic and revival magic
>Also fucking wild shape
>>
>>52291197
probs ilithid cleric/mystic/goo warlock. or if your dm is anal about homebrews go for drow.
>>
>>52291197
The Great Old One Warlock Pact is entirely based around lovecraftian horrows.
>>
>>52291234
well, the general idea with a wizard is that you shouldn't get into a melee battle, and if you do, solve it with overwhelming firepower.
>>
>>52291269
Exactly. What do when ambush
>>
>>52290899
>>52291008
I like this.

Call it your circle of caring.

Do you care about the party? Absolutely. Do you care about keeping them safe? Yes. Do you even like or perhaps love them? Sure.

Do you give two shits about that fucking city guard who's being an obstructive asshole by arresting your friends? Of course not.
>>
How would you learn/teach sorcery? Would a sorcerer academy just be Xavier's School for Magical Youngsters? How do sorcerers naturally come up with spells that just happen to resemble reproducible wizard formulas?
Which came first, sorcery or wizardry?
>>
>>52291248
Can bard change spells after a nice nap
>>
>>52291310
ambush by who? what level am I? what level are they? come on, set the scene a bit.
>>
>>52291321
A sorcerer school is kind of a problem. Because sorcerers don't learn from books, there's no shared knowledge pool.

As for why their spells are all identical to wizards...

A wizard did it?

(Sorcerers probably came first, and wizards developed from attempts to reverse engineer their abilities through logic and science.)
>>
>>52288613
>Terran - Greek
>Celestial - Hindi

I think you got those mixed up
>>
>>52291321
1: You can't.
2: I guess? Except sorcerers usually aren't persecuted and wouldn't need to band together for their common survival like that.
3: Convergent evolution. The wizard spells that gain the greatest popularity are the ones that efficiently work with the way magic naturally works rather than against it.
4: Presumably sorcery, but dependsonthesetting.jpg
>>
File: image.jpg (242KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242KB, 1280x720px
>5e

What went wrong?
>>
>>52291389
Not that much. It's a functional game that is fun. The only problems are other players.
>>
>>52291354
You are a 20 th level with a party of 20s another same size party of 20 levels are disguised as flies through their druid's animal shapes spell and attack. Wat do
>>
>>52291334
No, but they can steal shit like Aura of Vitality which cannot otherwise be obtained.

Their role is skill utility along with support from cutting words. They're the rogue spellcaster.

Honestly, I'd have to say that both bard and druid are on the same level. They fill different roles, though they can both fit into a number of things they can do. Wizards... Well, wizards do get arcane recovery, I suppose. And they have all those rituals and shit. Then portent and such.

Really, I'd say bard=druid >(ever so slightly) wizard >(ever so slightly) cleric>sorcerer>warlock but warlocks and sorcerers have some pretty cool multiclassing.
>>
>>52291410
I love bards, have saved my druids ass many a time. Aura of vitality is amazing
>>
>>52291389
doubling down hard on Faerun kinda alienated a lot of players
>>
>>52291407
>Using level 20 as an example, where druids can wildshape at-will and have effectively infinite health if you don't burst them down instantly or use power word: kill or disintegrate or such
>Where wizards can have unlimited clones and demiplanes and simulacrums
>>
>>52291458
But is full party. They can all focus Druid and he is easily dead.
>>
>>52291321
>How would you learn
Taught by the bonus dad who's blood powers you inherited.
>teach sorcery
Do the fuck and have a cum, raise the resulting spawn with knowledge of how to cast spells
>Would a sorcerer academy just be Xavier's School for Magical Youngsters?
Imagine if Professor X was a dragon, and also the great grandfather of every mutant at his school
>How do sorcerers naturally come up with spells that just happen to resemble reproducible wizard formulas?
No reason to include a separate magic casting system for sorcerers exclusively when they're just going to use it for the same effects as a wizard
>Which came first, sorcery or wizardry?
Depends on the setting, but do you really think rocket surgery came before a dragon fucking some dude's mom?
>>
What I'd rather have is that land druids don't get wild shape and that moon druids get wild shape, but
>You must expend a spell slot of equal level to the CR of the creature you're trying to transform into, anything below CR 1 takes no spell slot. When you do this, you gain Xd8 temporary health for the duration you are wildshaped.

Seems a bit less fuckey to me. Yes, that's definitely a nerf with a side of buff, but it could be balanced out with..
Should the temporary HP be Xd8 + X*Creature's conmod?
Should they get a feature similar to land druid's / wizard's spell slot recovery on short rest feature?

And, obviously, there'd need to be some major boon for land druid, but that's a different topic.

Or do you believe it should be left alone and druids should be left with their 2/short rest 'turn into a meatbag with tonnes of health and just sit there' ability?
>>
>>52291407
well, they're flies, and per the rules of the animal shapes spell, they can't do anything a fly can't do right now. so i'll use forcecage box to seal them in the area. that'll take care of the martials in the group for the moment, and the weaker casters. then cast meteor swarm, and then sunburst in order to blind their entire team and deal great damage. continue as such until they are all dead. can't say what the rest of my team will have done but to be sure they'd probably be beating on them too.
>>
Was serfdom still a thing during the renaissance? Or should it only appear in medieval settings?
>>
Sup /tg/.

So it's my first time DMing a game of D&D 5e, and we're running through the Storm King's Thunder book. Now, in our group there is a player who has rolled a Human Paladin, who I need some help / ideas putting back into place.

In the first chapter, and our last session so far, he has done two things that rub me the wrong way for a Paladin, first being almost hanging one of the NPC's for being dishonest and locking herself in a church. The second and more worrying part was, for those who have played this book, whilst exploring the Dripping Caves there is an off path to a warren of Goblins, however in this warren there is nothing but female goblins, children, and old decrepit ones. He proceeded to slaughter them all without any care.

So I'm looking for inventive ways to put him in his place, as I said it's my first time as a DM and I'm not very sure about finding creative ways to "punish" players.

Any advice, /tg/?
>>
>>52291495
Why would you focus druid?

>'Look at me, I have a ton of extra health'
>'Everyone, focus the guy with a ton of extra health!
>Yes, we finally got him out of animal fo-'
>Druid uses readied action as a reaction to wildshape again
>Rest of team slaughters your team while you keep attacking the druid for some reason

Use one of the counter spells (Such as power word: kill) or just ignore the druid, letting the druid do shit instead.

Wizard absolutely wins if they've prepared the right spells.
>>
>>52291568
You're having a serious case of Lawful Stupid
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Lawful_Stupid
>>
>>52291559
But is ambush we are not flies anymore and initiative determines who goes first
>>
>>52291568
Goblin assassins who want vengeance.

Paladins also don't have to be good aligned anymore.
>>
>>52291568
What's his alignment and Oath?
>>
>>52291592
alright. then i'll forcecage bars to make a larger area of effect, misty step away as a bonus action, then fire into the box, casting feeblemind on any dangerous casters, polymorph on any enemies outside the box, and aoe onto targets inside the box, which won't hit my allies due to evocation's ally friendly bubble effects. once every enemy inside the cage is dead, i will dispel it and cut down the stragglers outside who are at this point incapacitated.
>>
>>52291568
Well, they seem like a lawful evil character, so they should have all the repercussions an evil character would get, whatever that's supposed to be.

Throw in a magical [paladin weapon] somewhere along the lines that only allows pure of heart to use it, and have it mock the paladin as some terrible person.
>>
>>52291565
Russia didn't abolish it until the 19th century, so it might or might not exist depending on location and power structure.
>>
>>52291657
>>52291568
Let me clarify in case that raging autist comes back, I mean lawful evil by the PHB's standards, not by some other arbitrary standard.
>>
>>52291649
Y no shitpost
>>
>>52291587
It seems that way for sure.
>>52291600
I was considering something like that, but the cave itself was entirely cleared, there were no survivors, finding a way to tie it could be difficult. I was considering his god smiting him, myself, but..
>>52291633
Oath of Vengence (Unsurprisingly), and I'm not 100% sure about what his allignment is. Pretty sure he's supposedly Lawful Good
.>>52291657
That could be amazing, I'll have a read through the DM book and cobble something together.
>>
>>52291684
fine then. i'll cast wish and take everyone to my magical realm of futas and piss.
>>
>>52291686
Just say one of them wasn't spotted. I doubt they checked every corner of the cavern. The line survivor could have told a hunting party what happened.
>>
File: 1485511367075.jpg (260KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485511367075.jpg
260KB, 1200x900px
>>52291686
If he can't embrace his path of evil and all the people and even perhaps a sentient weapon shunning him for his ways, maybe he'll wake up.

If he's dedicated himself to slaughter, then he'll have to overcome the additional problems being that way has.

Honestly they could also fit into 'lawful neutral' somewhat. But whatever they are, it's definitely not lawful good.
>>
>>52291686
Goblin was out hunting, comes back to see his goblin wife slain, his goblin daughters slain, his goblin sisters slain, his goblin nieces slain, etc.

Swears oath of vengeance upon whoever did this, goblin god is watching, gives him a vision. Goblin is now a Paladin of Vengeance as well.
>>
>>52291724
Planeshift party out
>>
>>52291686
Whoops, missed
>His god smiting him

Paladins don't rely on gods in the first place.
Also, it's kinda taking the power away from him a bit and saying 'if you keep doing this, rocks will fall and you'll die' in which case you're better off questioning him out of session and telling them to play a nicer character.

It'd be much cooler to have monks and shit tell him off for being a heartless, rage-fuelled monster. Or some sort of problem to overcome, rather than just 'God says stop being bad'. Maybe a monster that they can't just slaughter that they might grow attached to somehow.
>>
>>52291793
nope. wish has reformed the multiverse. everywhere is now the magical realm of futas and piss.
>>
>>52291829
Tsunami to wash away piss
>>
>>52291852
the piss is everflowing. it shall return.
>>
>>52291863
Contagion to give all the futas aids so they all die
>>
>>52291897
everyone is a futa. everyone dies. congratulations, you killed one wizard at the cost of everyone in the multiverse's life.
>>
File: What were the chances of that.png (368KB, 845x590px) Image search: [Google]
What were the chances of that.png
368KB, 845x590px
>>52291724
>>52291793
A golden dragon appears with a magical ring that turns all 1s on a timestop's 1d4 to 2s.
It shapeshifts into an archmage and casts 'time stop'. It shapeshifts back into a golden dragon. It shapeshifts back into an archmage. It casts 'timestop'
Repeat forever.

Both of your bullshits now no longer work because the universe has ended. Game over.
>>
>>52291917
But did not give self aids so I make sure I do not get raped by futa
>>
>>52291686
>portents from his god telling him he fucked up
>magic weapon only wielded by the pure of heart telling him to fuck off
>as above but it's an evil magic weapon telling him to fuck on
>bystanders, people in positions of authority or members of his church questioning his radical behavior
>nightmares of the innocents he's slain or failed to save
Consider something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvf_xozqbBw as well, depending on what his character's backstory is and why he picked Vengeance
>>
>>52291686
Paladins don't need gods and he didn't break the tenants of his oath so he keeps his paladin powers but his alignment should definitely change for the wanton slaughter of innocent beings.
>>
>>52291924
Put bag of holding into portable hole under dragon
>>
>>52291953
Define "innocent".
>>
>>52291955
How can you do that?
Time has stopped.
You don't get a turn.
Ever.

The gold dragon is the only creature that can do anything now.
>>
>>52291757
I still need to read this
>>
I'm new to the whole DnD thing and a bunch of my friends want to try a 3.5 campaign soon. They've all played before but I've never touched anything of the sort. Do you guys have a similar resource for 3.5 or a starting guide?
>>
>>52291958
A bunch of goblins too weak or sick to do anything. If there were no signs of any kind of wrongdoing then they are, at least within his conscious (the only important thing to paladin powers) innocent. If there was wrong doing then it his job to then consult those who were wronged and find the best mediation between his own code and theirs to bring about justice. Mindlessly killing goblins just because they're goblins is an act somewhere between TN and CE.
>>
>>52291967
I used foresight before and saw it coming
>>
What languages would a drow priestess know besides common, elvish and undercommon?
>>
>>52292014
No.
>>
>>52292026
Abyssal
>>
>>52292016
Goblins are evil. Evil will be destroyed.
>>
>>52292024
Okay. Even though foresight doesn't work like that, one round before it happens, you get the vision that a gold dragon on fucking Mars in another dimension is going to use timestop forever.

You now have exactly 6 seconds to get to mars and prevent the dragon from ending the timeline.
>>
File: 1490032115499.jpg (128KB, 596x811px) Image search: [Google]
1490032115499.jpg
128KB, 596x811px
Would you allow the Theurge at your table, /5eg/?
I kind of want to make a Tempest Domain one so I can shit lightning out of every pore.
>>
>>52292026
Abyssal?
>>
>>52292043
>actually believes in always evil
>>
>>52292014
you can find the books here:
https://dnd.rem.uz/
>>
>>52292052
After reviewing it again, I would, providing they don't do some multiclassery bullshit. They'd have 1d6 hitdice and no armour, so that's fine enough.
>>
>>52292069
Have you ever seen a good goblin in a cave with goblins trying to kill you
>>
>>52292092
Good goblins get the hell outta dodge so that they don't get roped into Maglubiyets plans.
>>
>>52292110
So tell me where is this magical town full of good gobbos who have escaped their evil kin?
>>
>>52292014
It isn't really much more difficult getting into 3.5 than 5e, what campaign setting are they using?
>>
>>52292080
Thanks! That's very neat.
Should I start by the Player's Handbook one and two? What should I read afterward?
>>
>>52292128
But then evil adventures came by and raped them all
>>
>>52292043
This isn't a 'good' way of thinking. Good is putting others before yourself. You should hear their case before smiting them unless the situation is urgent. They clearly aren't going to shank you too quickly if you're cautious, so you should hear them out.

It's understandable for a neutral saying 'Well, it's my job, and the small goblins might grow up to be dangerous or the female goblins might breed.'

An evil would just murder everything without even questioning it if he's gaining from it.
>>
>>52292087
Yeah, I feel that they might be strong but they would still not be at Illusion or Divination school levels of powerful anyway.
>>
>>52292047
giving it a shot, i suppose plane shift on yourself to get to mars, to the location foresaw, to that dimension, to that planet, to that geographic location, then cast true polymorph on mr archmage and keep him locked into a cockroach form forever. then cast planeshift to send him to the plane of soft walls and bug nursing, where he will be taken care of forever.
>>
>>52292130
Campaign setting? I'm afraid I really don't know much. They haven't planned anything yet I believe. I just want to make sure I'm ready when we decide to play so I don't slow them down too much and become a chore.
>>
What do you guys think about crafting some sort of "cinematic" scene? Nothing that lasts too long.
The idea is that basically the party and some NPCs get captured by, let's say an astec-like group of warriors. They would be drugged and wake up in a sacrifice ceremony where the priests are disguised as devils so that the players think they are in hell.
Eventually they realize what's going on and they will have to escape, and maybe save other NPCs. Or even perduade the cult to let them go; they've proven themselves capable of that over the few sessions we've played.
So /tg/, shitty idea or somewhat feasible?
>>
>>52291787
The idea alone of a Goblin Paladin makes me laugh, might bring that in somehow.
>>52291948
I'll need to get his character sheet from him at some point then, just so I can see exactly what caused him to become a Paladin and such.
>>52291953
>>52291958
The reason he'd went on this murderous rampage apparently was because in this warren, there were the bones of things they had killed and eaten, and I said there were a couple of humanoid skulls in there. That was enough to condemn them, apparently.
>>
>>52292188
Plane shift is an action, and so is true polymorph.

You'd need to use time stop yourself to be able to manage that, and then you coudln't cast true polymorph unless there's some magic item.

Plane shift is also unlikely to get you to the location as unless they're at a notable location you can name such as a city you can't just say 'oh, it's mars, so teleport me to mars' and teleport right next to them, you'd end up... Somewhere on mars.
>>
>>52292253
so then. you would cast time stop first? then plane shift? then take the ring off of the archmage, then imprisonment.
>>
>>52291568
What's wrong with killing goblins?

Serious question. Aren't they supposed to be vermin? I'm not that familiar with whatever's the default DnD setting.
>>
>>52292253
Is the fucking place where the universe will end not a valid location
>>
>>52292281
The issue I had, and feel free to tell me I'm wrong to have it, is that I don't think a Lawful Good Paladin should go around and literally slaughter between 30-40 elderly, female, and children goblins. Doesn't sit right with me.
>>
File: 1473477684416.jpg (520KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473477684416.jpg
520KB, 1920x1080px
So has anybody ran or played in a campaign that made good use of Faction, Renown, or added ability scores?
>>
>>52292133
Book of 9 Swords and Expanded Psionics Handbook.
Actually, just read those, and only allow classes from them. It will be a better game than most.
>>
>>52292282
Probably not.

That's like plane shift 'To where I really need to be right now'

Oh, don't forget it has legendary resistance.

>>52292279
Probably. Though if it takes an action to take the ring off the archmage, they can still proceed to start timestopping. They can still do all that shit without the ring, the ring just ensures that once they start the endless loop it'll never end because the only way it anyone else gets a turn is on a 1 because the combo takes 3 actions.
>>
>>52292350
Adventurers league?
>>
>>52292355
imprisonment won't let him do that shit. just set the dispel condition for the natural end of the multiverse. then once he's released there's nothing left for him to do.
>>
>>52291568
I'm not one to justify killing members of "Evil Races" solely for that reason, however that's entirely in character for a Vengeance Paladin, especially if his oath had to do with goblins. Also the non-combatant goblins were hardly more innocent than the combatants, the fact that they lived there and seemingly ate some humanoids strongly implies they supported the actions of the rest of the tribe.
>>
File: 1473478834072.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473478834072.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>52292361
Well, I know AL has Faction stuff, but I was asking more about home games. I've always liked the concept of it as a way to recapture the "setting-driven authority as a class feature" sort of stuff that I dug so much about AD&D and those optional rules always struck me as a great way to go about that.
>>
File: map of entire internet.jpg (421KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
map of entire internet.jpg
421KB, 2048x1536px
I wanna play a magic user that can do a bunch of cool utility magics, I've never played a magic user before, whats a fun one I can play either vanilla or Unearthed Arcana?
>>
File: 1308010203689.jpg (334KB, 502x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1308010203689.jpg
334KB, 502x1000px
>>52292321
But goblins are literally an evil race, right? That threaten the countryside?

What's he gonna do, domesticate them? Derail the adventure to try and civilize them in the remotes hope that it'll take? He's a warrior. He puts them down and moves on.
>>
>>52292417
Trump wizard based around controlling enemy's through walls and banishment
>>
>>52292370
Eh, legenday resistance that shit.

You either need to force more saves than the dragon has legendary resistances or to cast a spell that has no save DC that prevents them from casting timestop or removes the ring and ensures they won't get it back (Noting that if you do that you'll likely have to fight them, which will likely result in death).

Silence seems a pretty good contender, actually.
>>
>>52292448
i thought you were in archmage form to start though.
>>
>>52292417
What is, in your mind, 'utility magic'?
An Illusionist can do many things with his magic, but it's mostly a game of light and shadows, Arcane Tricksters use magic along with their quick fingers, if that's what you want, and any spellcaster has a number of out-of-combat spells, anyway.
If you want to play a caster that just doesn't attack (or require saves from opponents), that's just a question of choosing the right spells.
>>
>>52291252
>>52291241
>>52291233
Are there arabs in forgotten realms?
Pact of the tome or blade for the UA pseudo smite? That sounds fun.
>>
If a spell has verbal or somatic components and also a "as a bonus action on your turn during the duration" part, do you need to perform verbal and/or somatic components every time?
>>
>>52291251
my dm hates fun, rip my illithid homebrew.
>>
>>52292519
As in less on the "magic zap ray" side and more on the helping and creativity side.
>>
>>52292228
Anyone?
>>
>>52292465
The dragon retains its legendary resistance in other forms.
>>
>>52292611
The dragon has to die eventually
>>
>>52292611
well, you seem to be forgetting the most important thing. gold dragons wouldn't end the universe to end a retarded argument between a wizard and a druid.
>>
>>52292689
I'm pretty sure it would
>>
>>52292624
In a thousand years, maybe, but it'll never be a thousand years. Because the timeline has stopped.

But if the dragon ages naturally during the stopped time period I guess they could wither away.

>>52292689
And a wizard and a druid wouldn't end up in a retarded fight, hopefully.
>>
>>52288213
Why casters only? You can get whatever skill/tool kit proficiency you want from your background. As a dm I would make an alchemy roll an int roll, is that what you mean? Because anybody can have good int, too, if they want it.
>>
>>52292561
Any Wizard is good for that. Probably the Conjuration school one would be the most fitting, but it all depends on which spells you pick.

As you've mentioned that you haven't played a caster before though, I'd say go for a Lore Bard instead.
>>
>>52292533
Zakhara, Calimshan, Amn.
>>
What ever happened to the /5eg/ community trove with stuff from the DMs Guild? Is it still accesible?
>>
>>52292726
so if time was stopped and you continued to age, which i think you would, due to your own body's vital functions continuing to happen while time stop is up, you would wither away, and time would start again, which nobody else noticed happening. a dragon on mars would just suddenly crumble into dust.
>>
>>52292561
Personally, I like the Illusionist (after level 14) and Mystic (Mantle of Command after level 9, but I've yet to try it out), at lower levels there isn't much - the best buffs to grab are Bless (party wide) and Haste (to the Rogue, good to Twin if you're a Sorc), there are some Illusions and Charms, but nobody has the features to make them shine, not at low levels, battlefield control is pretty limited too (Web is good, but Walls will be better)... skills cover all those things, at low levels, but that's not what you're going for, isn't it? If it is, go Bard.
>>
>>52292533
>Are there arabs in forgotten realms?
Zakhara, the area from Al-Qadim and Arabian Adventures, is part of the continent of Faerun.
>>
Are there asians/bamboo in the forgotten realms
>>
Anyone looking forward to Dice, Camera, Action?
>>
>>52289789
Appreciate the comments. The Baroque bit would work. Tempo/Flourish is intended to allow for dex use for a wider variety of melee weapons. I suppose it will require a balance. I've toyed with a sort of reverse Versatile (reduce damage die), but I'm unsure.

>Reach 5ft doesn't mean anything, I think.
The Reach property in the equipment chapter is written this way, as to indicate it's 5ft beyond the standard melee range of 5ft.

>What edition is this?
Good point. That will be amended.

>In fact, there's a lot of microbonuses.
That is sort of the point. Not enough to mess with the game, but there for autists to take. It's geared towards low-level, low-fantasy play, before the whole magic weapon ignoring resistance etc etc. becomes prevalent at later levels.
>>
>>52292867
Yeah, in whatever chunk of Faerun that Oriental Adventures took place in. I forget what that region's actually called.
>>
>>52292900
I need that bamboo for torture
>>
>>52292900
>>52292867
Kara-Tur has all your oriental needs covered. China, Japan, even Korea's over there.
And if going to the Far East is too much, why not stop in the Middle East that is Zakhara? It's full of genies and zero racism. Seriously. Elves and Dwarves get along great in Zakhara, they don't know why the rest of the world has such a problem with each other.
>>
File: D&DCap.jpg (717KB, 832x1158px) Image search: [Google]
D&DCap.jpg
717KB, 832x1158px
>innate spellcasting (admittedly shitty)
>magic resistance (14th level wizard ability)
>three languages
>no ability score decrease

Are yuan-ti overpowered?
>>
>>52292885
>I suppose it will require a balance
It removes the Heavy propriety.

If you let greatswords work with GWM and Dex, you might as well remove Str from the game altogether, it will be used for some very few saves, grapples, and barbarians only.
>>
>>52292867
>>52292900
Kara-Tur. There are also Shou enclaves in Telflamm. I read bamboo as bimbos.
>>
>>52292969
I don't think the "monstrous races" were tested in any capacity, hence why they were shoved in at the end with a disclaimer that your DM might not let you play them.
>>
>>52292977
Hmm... I understand your point. Perhaps you can help then. How would you emphasize the fact that the use of these melee weapons, including the greatsword, was (apparently, according to what we know from literature) much more a matter of speed and balance rather than just strength? For a fighter to take the advantage you describe, he'd have to use both fighting style class features for it.
>>
>>52292818
They can supposedly live thousands of years, so they just have to find a way to become a dracolich or something in that time or some level of immortality. If humans can achieve it, surely they might?

Though they have to do it without losing shapeshifting abilities.

Actually, they could just utilitize some spells like clone I suppose.
>>
>>52293058
Can't hey become a dracholich in less than 5 turns
>>
>>52292558
They really need to make some aberration races for PCs.
>>
>>52293106
They've got thousands of years of stopped time, why should they need to do it in 5 turns?
>>
New thread >>52293149
>>
>>52293124
I'm assuming the dracholich ritual take more than 30 continues seconds
>>
>>52292969
yeah, i don't know who thought that was ok but mind flayers were not.
>>
>>52293124
well, to become a dracolich he would need to die. at which point time would start again.
>>
>>52293164
Well, I suppose.

If they can't find a way to do it while doing their endless timestop, they can just try to do it at a secure location.

>>52293172
So there'd be a brief campaign that exists between the stopping of time and then starting of time again when a dracolich is born, then the campaign has a time limit of 'stop the dracolich before it wakes up and stops time forever again'.
>>
>>52293230
That's... actually a kind of interesting plot.

"The evil golden dragon is attempting to become a dracolich so that it can stop time forever. You must track it down before it wakes up in its unlife, and stop it from ever being able to cast spells."
>>
>>52292228
Set the start of the scene, not the end. Try to predict a few things they'll try, and the outcomes of those, but don't plan for the end of the scene. Let the players handle that.
>>
>>52293284
sounds like a pretty good bbeg. it is disabled only by disassembling it's body parts and scattering them to the furthest reaches of the multiverse, after which they become legendary magic items.
>>
>>52290899
I wish my party would let me try playing an evil character. Last time I tried, I wrote out a nice backstory detailing how the character was dedicated to self-preservation due to his orphan upbringing with the intention of having him stray to neutral over the course of the campaign. Cleared it with the DM. Instead, we started the adventure, Paladin used detect evil, saw that I pinged, then he and the CG ranger ganked me. Good times. This is why I almost exclusively play chaotic stupid murderhobo's with them now.
>>
>>52291568
>put him in his place

Why? His version of good/justice is very extreme, but as long as his oath and god support it it fits with the paladin archetype.

If it's REALLY disrupting your campaign then how about you talk to him like a normal person? If he's not receptive to that then you should kick him out anyway.
>>
File: there must be more to life.png (966KB, 700x673px) Image search: [Google]
there must be more to life.png
966KB, 700x673px
>>52293673
Well. Have an escape measure next time. Better yet, have something to blackmail them into not killing you next time, ask the DM about it. Say you cased them out, dug up some dirt that they don't want others to know about, threatened them all with it individually, passed on the information to a confidante to be dispensed in the event of your death, and that's how the party gets together. Easy. If you're gonna go evil, go brutal, don't half ass it, because lawful stupid doesn't give a shit about your aspirations. whether you're literally hitler or just littered once, they will smite you for it.
>>
>>52293798
Huh. Thanks anon. I think I'll go run some of that by the DM
>>
>>52292321
well if they're elderly, putting them down is a mercy. if they're female, all they're good for is producing more goblins, of which many will go on to do evil. the children have that same problem. really it's a mercy for everyone.
>>
>>52293673
>Detect evil

Sounds like not-5e.

Sounds like shit.
>>
>>52293843
no problem dude. aspirations of something beside chaotic stupid murder is a fine thing to have, and should be nurtured. if it requires some roleplaying strongarming for everyone else to let it happen, then so be it. just by the by though, when i said have an escape measure next time, i mean it. if they're as chaotic stupid as you make out, you will want to have that along with the blackmail so that when they inevitably try and kill you, you can enact your plan and show them you're not fucking around. Personally I recommend rogue for this archetype, but you do you dude.
>>
>>52293673
Also, there should be a reason you're in the party anyway. Maybe you're friends with somebody, as the other said you have blackmail or... There could be all manner of reasons an evil/selfish person is with the party.
>>
>>52293893
well he did say last time. maybe last time was before 5e was out.
>>
>>52293798
fuck I wish I had this premise for my group. Our Paladin is a fairly simple lad, and because of that he unintentionally gets on everyone's nerves. I can imagine writing out some story for this, say he tried to attack the blackmailer, blackmailer got away, three days later a cult devoted to the enemy god of the paladin shows up and uses a magic ritual to pull all of the moisture out of the paladin's body because they were tipped off to his whereabouts. Revenge is my DM fetish.
>>
>>52293893
>>52293950
Yeah it was a short 3.5 campaign a few years back.
>>
>>52294073
Good riddance of 'detect evil'.
>>
>>52290899
I had an evil rogue once. It was pretty much all under covers, but it solved a lot of our issues.

Most of the party thought the BBEG had a really good assassin who kept killing his henchmen who spoke during interrogation. He always came too late, but never let them live. The party was super paranoid, and even the players was expecting to find this assassin at some point.

He was super rotten, but was introduced as a captured slave in a goblin mine, meant as food for the nasty monsters they kept. He owed them his life, and would do absolutely anything to help them, including throwing his own life on the line. Everybody else was just as expendable. If he knew someone would stand in their way, even if there was only a possibility of it, he's make sure they wouldn't. Killing was usually the first option.

He seemed like a neutral fellow. The Cleric knew he was evil, he pinged that on the detection spell, but she kept assuming it was some past deeds he was atoning for.

I never understood why people think an evil character in a good group is impossible. I suspect it is slightly retarded people, with an unhealthy dose of autism, that makes them think evil = backstabbing psychopath who wants to end all life in the multiverse, and can't work together with others under no circumstances.

Or those fun GMs who hear "Chaotic Neutral" and immediately assumes you intend to burn down everything you come across.

I fucking hate this generation of roleplayers, including the GMs. At least my old group is still running, and has reasonable people in it.
>>
Is there a legit way in 5th Edition to collect every cantrip as a Wizard? I love playing the "catch'em all" style spellcaster. Even if it means taking up more space in my spellbook, I'm okay with this.
>>
>>52294155
Nope.

Bards can add cantrips as part of their magical secrets, I believe.
Warlocks can add three cantrips as per tome, I believe.
Nature clerics get a cantrip.
High elves get a cantrip. Same for half-elves.
Forest Gnomes get a cantrip.
Pureblood Yuan-ti get a cantrip.
Aasimar get a cantrip.
Tieflings get a cantrip.
Probably some others I forgot get a cantrip.
You get more cantrips at certain class levels. You get the most by taking a first level in some classes.

If you're lucky, your DM might gift you some extra.

You can use a feat to get two cantrips. Variant human can start with two cantrips therefore.

In the end, you 'might' be able to get close to getting all cantrips by getting magic initiate endlessly, picking one level in every class that gives cantrips, three levels of warlock and rest of your levels in lore bard... But I don't know if it'd be enough. It might be, actually.
>>
>>52294155
well, no. but you could ask another wizard that owns the cantrips you don't to put them down on a scroll and collect those instead, then collect every OTHER spell like a wizard spellhunter would.
>>
>>52294149
I'm playing NE bard in my group atm, and it has been a blast. Usually playing an evil character is a trust thing in a group, these days.
>>
Testing.

Variant human.
EK4/Druid1/NatureCleric1/AT4/Warlock4/Wizard1/Sorcerer1/Bard4

Cantrips:
Race: 2* Any*
EK4 : 2 Wizard
LandDruid 4: 4 Druid 2* Any*
Naturecleric1: 3 Cleric 1 Druid
AT4: 2 Wizard, 1 Mage Hand
Warlock4: 3 Warlock 3 Any 2* Any*
Wizard1: 3 Wizard
Sorcerer1: 4 Sorc
Bard1: 3 Bard

*Must both be of the same class.

Gonna need to work out the number of cantrips now. I'll refer to the 5etool thing.
>>
>>52294548
The fuck are you trying to accomplish dude. Don't just dump that shit on here with a "Testing" and expect none of us to ask.
>>
File: 1489569860101.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1489569860101.gif
2MB, 400x300px
I want to play D&D on roll20 but I know only the most basic starter rules about the game. How do I get started because D&D actually seems like a lot of fun and I'd genuinely like to git gud at it.
>>
>>52294548
Okay, there are 40 cantrips.

That level 20 build gives you 35.

It's impossible to collect all cantrips through PHB means.
>>
File: justwnn.jpg (108KB, 481x507px) Image search: [Google]
justwnn.jpg
108KB, 481x507px
>>52294573
>>
>>52294548
Miscounted.
Bard should have 2 cantrips. I originally used bard 4 but then remembered land druid has an extra cantrip.

27 cantrips are PHB
1 cantrip is UA
4 cantrips are SCAG
8 cantrips are EE

If you ignore EE, you can manage it. If you ignore UA and SCAG but not EE, you can't manage it.
>>
>>52294330
>>52294335
>>52294471
>>52294548
To clarify, I was only referencing every wizard cantrip, not just every cantrip that exists. I want to be able to catch every wizard spell as you could in the pre-4th era. As it stands, cantrips are my only hurdle.

Thanks anyways, guys.
>>
>>52295078
Well, good news, there's only 28 wizard cantrips (27 without that silly UA).

A wizard using every single feat, even their variant human feat can get 17 cantrips.

Either your DM accomodates you or you multiclass a load and pick cantrips from other classes that're shared with wizard.
>>
>>52295167
I just wish there was a selectable class feature that let you swap out cantrips with your spellbook like regular spells. Maybe I'll try to homebrew one and see if my DM likes it.
>>
>>52295194
To be honest, just ask if you can take cantrips instead of spells.
It wouldn't be game breaking. It's probably less effective to sacrifice spells known for cantrips considering you can cast rituals without preparing them.
>>
File: 1473124206549.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473124206549.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
>>52288479
>hold PHB2 close as the coldness takes hold
>thumb through to Ranger to read the UA changes that had become so beloved
>pet attacks use up your action
>favored enemy reverted
>choose one of 28 new sub-biomes for your favored terrain that you will benefit from for 1% of the campaign
>as you have another heart attack the pages flip to Theurge of Lore Wizard, totally unchanged, as the pages move in the breeze
>>
>>52295536
I don't want to sacrifice all spellcasting ability. I just want to make my old utility wizard character who focused on collecting every spell for every possible task.

I kinda miss the 102912 playtest. It actually had preparable cantrips as a feature of the Academic Wizard tradition.
Thread posts: 446
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.