[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to play DnD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_ob9e6gjlbI1r8kknmo1_1280.jpg (92KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ob9e6gjlbI1r8kknmo1_1280.jpg
92KB, 750x750px
I've never played it before and have always wanted to. I don't really have the money to buy the game itself and I don't know where I can play it online. I also have no idea how to start. Advice?
>>
>>52242450
https://roll20.net/ is a good place to play online apparently. It takes some searching to find a decent group, though.
>>
>>52242450
See if theres a local Tabletop club, GMs will usually provide all you need.

But be warned, you'll almost certainly be playing with randoms. They can range from the rare good players to the absolute worst.
>>
File: 1475181988879.jpg (406KB, 700x964px) Image search: [Google]
1475181988879.jpg
406KB, 700x964px
>>52242450
Here's the mega with rules for 5e. It's all there, it's all very simple to learn, and it's all free.
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ!jx4xzAYC

Here's a site with every player resource gathered in one place, it also has monsters, gear and an encounter builder.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Artificer%20(UA),

As other anon said, roll20 is certainly a place to find a party, but it's not a very good one. Before you resort to that, check tabletop stores in your town or ask your friends to play with you, if you have any.

Visit us at /5eg/
>>52235172
>>
>>52242536
thank you so much :)
>>
>>52242541
Another convert for the glorious banner of the Fifth Edition! Victory is ours!
>>
>>52242450
Be ready to have to read a lot, remember a lot and square yourself with that you have to take the consequences for your actions.
A lot of people expect others to carry the load and remember the rules for them, and there are a fuckton of players who honestly think that they should never be able to die and never be able to get themselves into hot water.
If you just remember to read the rules that pertain to your character and the stuff you'll be doing, create a character who's a human being with flaws and mundane spots instead of a rainbow dragonwolf paladin 10/ur-priest 5, try not to pick fights with your party members and prepare yourself for the possibility you might fuck up and have to take the full consequences, you're already better than most new players.
Roleplaying games, though, require a lot of patience with both people and memorization, and you need to be ready to play a character on top of that.
If you're easily bored, don't want to spend major amounts of time on it or have something against playing a character with at least some work put into them, though, you should look into boardgames.
Roleplaying is a group activity, and what's more important than any experience, talent or luck is to be able to listen, put in effort and concentrate, because otherwise you not listening is going to drag the whole thing down.
You also need to remember that in a roleplaying game, you're not the main character, and being able to cooperate with the other characters is all-important.
TL;DR: The most important things are to be able and willing to listen, learn, work, cooperate, think and suck things up. When you throw up your hands because reading the rulebook is a chore, when you insist on your character getting treated specially or when you cock up and refuse to take the consequences, everyone's game suffers.
>>
>>52242541
Also, there are edition wars.
As a rule of thumb, every edition tries to simplify and streamline the basic formula more and more, which has its ups (smoother games with more expansive character options) and its downs (lack of depth, oversimplifications, unsatisfyingly easy encounters).
If you wanted to play D&D because you've seen it on TV or heard about it in the media, you're probably thinking of AD&D or 3.5 - AD&D was the one that made a splash back in the 80's, 3.5 was the one that came back into focus when nerds became cool, and the later editions were made to appeal to the people who wanted to be cool but didn't want the commitment or difficulty.
There's nothing wrong with playing 5e as a beginner, but do yourself a favor and play AD&D later on - you're shooting yourself in the foot if you spoil yourself with nu-games. Simple games when you start out are all well and good, but you'll miss out on a huge chunk of the appeal if you let yourself start playing only 5e.
I can't count the number of players out there who could have become good roleplayers, but were brought into roleplaying with a railroaded, auto-scaling snowflake-fest 5e game where the players blow their fuse as soon as their characters take damage.
>>
File: Bogdanoffs.jpg (124KB, 500x548px) Image search: [Google]
Bogdanoffs.jpg
124KB, 500x548px
>>52242758
>tfw to intelligent to play 5e
>>
You need other people to play with, so start by making some friends.
>>
>>52242514
>They can range from the rare good players to the absolute worst.
To be fair, though, this is true of all gaming situations, and of life in general. Wherever you go and whatever you do, you'll find a few okay folks, and a lot of idiots and douche bags.
>>
File: ralph.png (829KB, 851x650px) Image search: [Google]
ralph.png
829KB, 851x650px
>>52242450
>Steven Rapeyverse pic

um sweetie maybe you should try Pathfaggot??
>>
>>52244817
>How dare you like something I don't
That's the /tg/ I know. Welcome to the family son
>>
>>52242450
Do what I am doing.

Have a 2e PHB handed down to you but never actually use it until you are making a half assed homebrew system/setting to try to ween players onto dnd
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.