[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 40

File: DND_5e_Logo.png (28KB, 346x164px) Image search: [Google]
DND_5e_Logo.png
28KB, 346x164px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Mystic
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>52227436
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12550821

Remember, this is a multiple option poll.
>>
File: vomit dark souls.jpg (154KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
vomit dark souls.jpg
154KB, 621x621px
>>52235172
This is the blandest fucking OP I've ever seen. 0/10.
>>
>>52235182
That coulda been a cool feature for the Awakened, that you no longer require somatic components for your disciplines.
>>
5th for Immortal with high Str, Dex, Con and Int as the best Mysthic
>>
On the subject of components, how conspicuous is a use of Tides of Chaos or Bend Luck? A whispered chant, a subtle wave of the fingers?
>>
>>52229272
>Day 14
>The group payed me to enter a fight club to win the prize money
>Jokes on them because I would of done it for free
>Knocked some guys teeth out in the last round
>New record of 5
>Ranger is still an annoying broody twat
>Got knocked across the room by a Bulet?
>Either way ran up and snapped it's jaw off
>Note find someone who can make something cool with plates

>PS figure out a way to bed that elven queen from the island
>>
File: 1482303653848.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1482303653848.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>>52235177
>none of my real favorites are on this list
>pick Beast Conclave solo as the closest one
>bottom of list
>>
File: CasterAndShells.jpg (155KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CasterAndShells.jpg
155KB, 640x480px
any tips for doing magic guns?
>>
>>52235345
Depends, how much do you wanna hate everything? If so I'd check Mercer's gunslinger, or go with the dud that is the artificer.
>>
>>52235345
put a real one to your head.

seriously though, what part of your brain thinks this is good or cool?
>>
>>52235345
Guns yes, magic guns, no.
>>
So, due to some recent in group shit, I've become the DM of the party whereas this was my first ever campaign. To change the pacing and generic story, I decided to jump the plot fifty years in the future, post-disaster that wound up sucking the gods out of the heavens, causing them to lose part of their divinity. So now, individual gods are ruling cities and the players are hunting them down for some mysterious Necromancer for various reasons, and yea.

My question is, should I continue to use this necromancer as a sort of hub to teleport them from city to city, or actually invest in travelling paths n' shit for them to get between places?

Further, how the hell am I supposed to write all the possible options /prep the possible maps they could find? I managed this week fine, but the task is pretty crazy when one sits and thinks about the shit a player could pull. We work off roll20, btw
>>
>>52235345
Think of it like a wand with different spell loadouts. Maybe have separate components that alter the total effects/potential abilities.
>>
>use spell+some kind craft/arcana check= magic bullet or dud
>>
>>52235345
EB Warlock, it's a gun you summon.
>>
>>52235345
make shells act as blanks until infused with a cantrip/spell that has a ranged spell attack component over a short/long rest. Make multi-use infusion scrolls fairly common wherever weapons are sold, or have casters be able to cheaply make them over long rests exclusively, have higher level spells require more expensive shells to hold.
add some slight metamagic stuff for flavor with different guns or shell types.

Magic Dwarven Roulette with 5 Power Word Heal bullets and one Power Word Kill.
>>
File: Pit Lord.jpg (81KB, 671x745px) Image search: [Google]
Pit Lord.jpg
81KB, 671x745px
What's an enemy, creature, or concept for an encounter that you've always wanted to use as a DM but never got a chance to try, /tg/?
>>
>>52235563
Ghosts. My party will run from any sign there could be a Ghost.
>>
>>52235414

Depends on the tone and style of game you want to do. Both approaches have merits.
>>
>>52235610
What's the problem, too spooky?
>>
>>52235610
>tombs
>ruins
>pyramids
>mines
>old castle
>southern mansion
>ancient battlefield
>spoopy forest
>anything old or with a history
>nearly any dungeon
Ghosts can be anywhere, anon. Don't let your chickenshit players deprive you of the fun of scaring the hell out of them.
>>
>>52235629
>>52235632
I mean it. They will run from anything they see a ghost in or that looks too old and creepy. I dunno what the fuck it is because that's the one creature they run from.

They once Teleportation Circled out of a dungeon because there was a friendly ghost and they thought he would betray them. I have a feeling that they think ghosts will keep coming back to haunt them if they fight it, which to be fair is something I would do.
>>
>>52235563
I haven't used a Necromancer yet
>>
>>52235656
Have a spirit that grows from disappointment from the ghosts that never encounter the players when they should have by then, or something like that.
>>
>>52235656
Make the ghost haunt them until they run out of spell slots, then berate them for being little babies.
>>
>>52235414
Two ways to go about it
A:Railroad
B:Improvise

You are going to have to learn how to do both properly anyway, railroading to make sure there is an actual plot and pacing, improvising to maintain player agency and a real breathing sense to the world.

I would focus on Improv, how to get the most milage out of minimum prep.

So do things like you make a generic stat block, and then have different descriptions of it depending on where they go. You can do the same for layouts and some maps, aside from certain key features.

On roll20, if you are drawing the maps out, it is that easy as far as maps go. For tokens, you'll have to get all the different token types for each area beforehand, with a set stat block (properly named) and then you can just copy/paste.

If you are using tiles for your maps, find different tile styles for each area, and before the session make sure you have what you need. Then you can build up as they play, if you dislike prep.

Otherwise, you'll have to premake all the maps, and be prepared to be forced to draw maps on the fly. Before I got back and we started gaming IRL, my group considered it a personal success if they got me to draw a map in at some point, rather then ending up on something I had spent hours making lol

Lucky for me, I learned pretty quick how to make maps on the fly, and always had some premade "generic" room tabs that I could hurry up and fill with things, so they rarely ever caught on that I hadn't planned out their choices a good %80 of the time.
>>
>>52235671
This is an idea. I could talk to them about it but it has helped when they wanted to go into a nearby abandoned mine I had nothing planned for. Said it was haunted and they decided nope.

>>52235672
One option I thought of was a large inn or manor while traveling through a storm. Was going to make all the doors and windows lock plus something to stop teleportation.

The idea sounds a little bit forced though, I don't want to make it too railroaded.
>>
>>52235563
I've always wanted my adventurers to do a simple delivery quest, giving supplies from the town to a group of silk farmers, who in turn would ask that a shipment be sent back to town, with valuable gossamer as the reward. I wanted there to be a cave-in and trap everyone inside, so the adventurers had to go find another exit while the laborers tended to salvaging supplies and splinting wounds. I wanted them to find web-bound, dry corpses as they went in deeper. I wanted them to find weapons and loot in some of the web sacks. I wanted to hint that it was okay for them to tear open an egg sack to see if there was loot inside.

And when they did, dozens of low-level giant spiders would pour of the egg sacks, crawling on them and biting them and trying to entangle them. Just all these spiders suddenly bursting forth from egg sacks, and if they ran they would run into the mother.
>>
File: 0ade3a0b2e63471085ed0cade26e9350.jpg (628KB, 1079x1500px) Image search: [Google]
0ade3a0b2e63471085ed0cade26e9350.jpg
628KB, 1079x1500px
What classes and archetypes, aside from clerics, druids, and Favored Soul sorcerers, can use Guidance from level 1?

No dropping a feat on this, and no getting Guidance for race either.
>>
>>52235722
You asked last thread. The answer is none, nothing has changed.
>>
>>52235722
Clerics, druids, and Favored Soul sorcerers can use Guidance from level 1. If you'd like, you can drop a feat on this, or you could get Guidance for race.
>>
>>52235563
Sexy sorceress seduction. But I never will have that chance, I won't allow DM boners at my table.
>innerpaladinDM.jpg
>>
File: Bahamut.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bahamut.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>52235563
I'm going to run someone next session that I think is pretty cool.

It's going to be a Mage who uses animated weapons/armor as their forte. The fight is going to start with four sets of Animated Armor vs the party while the mage guards himself with about a dozen Animated Weapons surrounding him, and once the party beats that, the Mage will slot the Animated Weapons into his armor to turn them into a type of wings that let him get 60 feet of movement each turn, and make them either learn to target the wings, or start acting defensively.
>>
>>52235722
Warlocks can get it at 3
>>
>>52235707
ONE area where you just describe to them how their attempts to teleport away seem to fizzle into nothing, that should slide. Or else just make the place absolutely that important that they feel like they can't abandon it.
>>
>>52235229
I don't think either of those require anything. Same as using something like the "lucky" feat. It's just a thing you can choose to have happen. They don't cause any effect on their own, they just buff other things you do.
>>
Should I use the old Favored Soul or the new one?

If I use either what domain/spells should I pick?
>>
>>52235720
I did a very similar encounter in my early days as a GM.
The spiders would also crawl inside and lay eggs in living people for warmth.
Miss that dungeon
>>
>>52235751
I know they don't require anything mechanically, I was more asking flavor-wise. Could I Bend Luck to rig a duel without anyone noticing, for instance.
>>
>>52235748
Next time I'm the DM I might do that. Hell I might make the BBEG a spooky ghost.
>>
>>52235766
Yeah, why not? Same as you would use the lucky feat.
I suppose because it takes a reaction you can argue it's more of an active effect. But then because it doesn't say one way or the other, it's entirely up to you or the DM to make the call.
>>
>>52235345

Looks like you already found your right answer.
>>
>>52235172
>Dropping the link to the thing no one cared about

I already forgot what it was. Guess it was useless after all
>>
>>52235477
I will fucking homebrew this after I get up.

A Handcannon pact Warlock maybe? Warlock to reduce the amount of spell spam.

I am thinking of something like being able to infuse it with your warlock spells, Cantrips for free, spells for expending those spell slots. Mostly EB-bullets, yes, but they actually make the damage 1d10+Dex (+cha with Agonizing)

Makes spell attacks Dex-based, range 60/150 (pistol) or 80/200 (Musket/Rifle) or something. Dunno how to implement 5th level damage, probably keep it but take away versatility by requiring the shots to hit the same target. More single-target damage but no versatile control such as pushing several opponents back simultaneously.

It would mostly be just a regular warlock, except with the benefits that having it be a weapon confers, such as giving it to someone else in a pinch and disadvantages such as needing to prepare bullets (Reduced choices for spellcasting, usually having one of the two spells bound to a bullet or something).
>>
>>52235345
I made them esoteric dual wielded weapons for a home-brew gun-fu monk subclass because monks need help and also because gunpowder history. Guns in this are volatile and inaccurate, best used for close quarters hit and run tactics to hit heavy single targets or debuff multiple mooks. They also drain ki like crazy if you use a "flurry of shots" which is basically a flurry of blows but with your weapon/s. The combustion is derived from intuitive magic (ki) which is a transference of kinetic energy. So naturally it's class exclusive to avoid "forced industrial revolution steampunk world."
>>
I like the idea of playing a Gish, most likely a Stone Sorcerer but I have a flavor problem. I despise Gishes.

The idea of using magic through a weapon never made sense to me. If you're going to use magic why not use it just as effectively at range? Weapon usage is also a fair bit of training which one could spend learning magic.

So can someone give me a good reason for a character to be skilled at both and use them both at the same time?
>>
>>52235221
this
>>
>>52235221
> Best Mystic
> Not awakened
> Steal the cute elf pantie and use Psionic Investigation on it
>>
>>52235414
It's not about "all the possible options". It's half stalling for time, half giving them what they want.

Do bare minimum prep, the rest is improvisation. Session one, you set up the bones of a town to start in (or, you know, whatever kind of starting place. Necromancer lair) you improv the NPCs, important guys like the Necromancer you hopefully have a good enough idea of their purpose and goals that you can give them a bit of personality. Let them screw around. There are a few key locations or events, that you bait them into by making them look important (the townspeople gather, flyers are posted at every spot they make a perception check, they repeatedly spot a mysterious figure with a yellow exclamation point over his head) and these are the plot hooks. They might check them all out, they might check out just one, the point is that now you know what they wanna get into. And that's where you end the first session.

Now, since you had all these plot hooks, you've got at least some bare ideas about these other events besides the one the party picked. That means you've got backup content. But you're gonna focus on building up details for the one they chose, right?

As far as traveling goes, just have yourself a good brainstorm or two. Think of things that could possibly happen depending on which route of travel the party might take (meaning, which route of travel you're going to present to them to take).
Teleportation mishaps. Accosted by bandits. Town of inbred psychos. Ethereal monorail. The players don't give a shit about travel times and paths and all that unless they've built a survival ranger, rather what they want to see are events. Things get fucked up and they can fix it. For each quest they pick, one thing is gonna go wrong before they get there. If they absolutely do not want to go the way you're presenting, you've got a whole list of stuff you can pick from that they'll run into.
>>
File: DoPMgQw.jpg.gif (3MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
DoPMgQw.jpg.gif
3MB, 512x384px
>>52235857
....say some gangsta is dissin' your fly girl.
>>
>>52235922
Everyone else points out the OP aspects, this anon has his priorities straight
>>
>>52235414
can you think of anything cool to put inbetween cities?

if so travel between them
if not fast travel that shit
>>
So can an Avatar Mystic live with a 14-16 Intelligence and just buff the hell out of everyone?
>>
>>52236003
Avatar mystic (and its disciplines) are Warlord: 5e Edition. Go hogwild.
>>
>>52235937
Example: the players showed interest in going to fantasy 80s New York, where the people are assholes, the streets are full of shit. The quest there is to investigate a murder hotel. Most obvious choice of travel is to be teleported- so you plan on the teleportation being slightly off and setting them down in the middle of a Mafia meeting (awkward! looks like we've got another sidequest- help this asshole necromancer get more accurate teleportations).
What happens instead, the players are intrigued by another of your plot hooks, they hear about your magical Bass Pro shop in the countryside here, and what do you know it's right inbetween the necromancer's lair and New York. Why not take a carriage to NY and stop at BP to get some equipment? Time to pull out your page of notes on the BP shop and instead of running from the mob, they're instead looking for customer service (he's a sasquatch and he's not happy when you interrupt his smoke break). Improvise a guy not far outside the lair that has a carriage for hire, improvise a zombie horde outside the BP shop to make it a little more interesting (go ahead and use all the sports equipment in there to smash undead) and you've got yourself a memorable session.
>>
>>52236011
I loved the idea of getting a Warlord but it's flavor just doesn't work well in a lot of games. This was a good way of combining Warlord and Ardent. I mean I'll get Intelligence sooner or later but I want to get a decent Strength first.
>>
>>52236011
Avatar disciplines are kinda shitty though.
>>
Alright, I'm going to DM Out of the Abyss in a couple days, but I don't understand something.
The prisoners, or the playable characters that is, start out stripped of everything except for their underwear. The NPC's gear, however, is never discussed. There are no given stats for any "naked" alternates for these guys, despite their characters including weapons and armor. Should I go through the effort of figuring out naked stats for the 10 NPCs, or should I just use the given stats? I'm worried that making them naked will make the beginning too difficult, as it's already pretty hard difficulty-wise.
>>
>>52236047
Mantle of Fury and Mantle of Command are pretty freaking good. Giving everything advantage and then letting people use the Attack Action as a Reaction works pretty great. Also with the team wide Initiative Bonus your guys are more likely to be hitting first.

Also most of the Control Disciplines are pretty good.
>>
>>52235795
I think you could just reskin a Hexblade Pact and add in the free Cantrip infusions, and you've got something.
>>
>>52236090
They're supposed to find weapons and armor of the equivalent of their starting gear before engaging monsters, as well as equipment from their starting packs before facing an obstacle. The very beginning is encouraging the players to be stealthy and quiet, avoiding any fights (and making those fights incredibly easy to avoid) until there is no alternative but to fight, after getting said weapons and armor. Make them feel immersed.
>>
>>52236090
I've been a player in a situation like this - except we were naked, tied, blindfolded, set on a raft, approaching a giant waterfall. Also some of us may have been missing some body parts - hands, feet, etc...

Long story short, so long as combat challenges are introduced at a good pace and theres space to run and find improvised gear, it's actually pretty fun starting completely from scratch. You really have to earn your equipment and you don't take it for granted. One moment you're a hobbled dwarf, the next you've lashed a broken oar to your stump, adorned yourself in a dead giant's soiled loincloth, and sharpened a flesh golem's bone to a lethal point.
>>
>>52235922
shiiieeeet
I know what I'm doing now
>>
What are the most iconic things about D&Dâ„¢ in general?

Wizards, Beholders and Dragons are the first things that come to mind for me.
>>
>>52236373
Virgins.
>>
File: 03_June2007_72_3dhe_ppi.jpg (462KB, 975x1425px) Image search: [Google]
03_June2007_72_3dhe_ppi.jpg
462KB, 975x1425px
>>52236373

Dungeons
>>
>>52236373
Starting in a tavern and hill dwarf clerics.
>>
Is there anyway to get Shillelagh based off Intelligence? I'm like 99% sure I found a way before I went to sleep but that might have been a dream.
>>
>>52236521
The dream of a true fa/tg/uy.
>>
>>52236521
Arcana Wizards. It's UA though.
>>
>>52235822
>Ki powered Guns
Gosh darn, you've helped me more then you know.
>>
>>52235345

Refluff a blaster spellcaster class, spell slots become shell slots.
>>
>>52236539
I think it was actually a dream but >>52236547 has apparently found a real way to do it. 6th level's a little far for me to go into it though.
>>
What's the best Discipline for a Soul Knife to take at level 1? I was thinking Psionic Weapon but the focus is worthless.

Should I just go Stone Sorcerer with Spellpoint variant and Twin and Quicken SCAG Cantrips with Elemental Weapon?
>>
File: eldrich abomination.webm (2MB, 878x680px) Image search: [Google]
eldrich abomination.webm
2MB, 878x680px
What do outer entities look like?
>>
What races get a weapon proficiency other then Dwarf and Elf?
>>
Anyone know if someone has tokens from Volo's? I heard that someone was working in it but that was...I dunno, at least a month or two ago.
>>
>>52236724
Hobgoblins get any two martial.
>>
Thinking of trying to preach a new Shifter race to my DM. I was thinking something like this:

+2 DEX and a +1 to a subrace stat (I'll change it so you can't get +3 DEX of course).

Athletics or Animal Handling proficiency

Shifting is a minute of gaining CON modifier + Proficiency temporary HP per round once per long rest.

Also they gain their Subrace ability permanently (I'll change the Wildhunt one).

I'm a bit worried Shifting might be too strong but I could change it back to their original ability with it.
>>
>>52236693
What the fuck is that webm?

>>>/x/
>>
>>52235720
just yesterday i made an encounter where a giant spider would fall on the head of one of my pcs and after a round of combat they would realise that the spider was already dead and a swarm of spiderlings would pop out of his abdomen. Luckily our moon druid bit the spider, so i had the abdomen shatter right there instead. oh boy
>>
Is a Human Revenant a reasonable character to ask to play? The idea was a Druid that was revived by the Fey Forest he died in to fight the enemies of the natural world.
>>
>>52236373
Dungeons, Dragons, and elves in all kinds of flavours.
>>
>>52236648
Play a Stone Sorcerrer.

If your DM allows it then MC it with Hexblade as well.
>>
How do I find a group to play with irl if none of my friends are willing/too busy to play?
>>
>>52236373
Dual-wielding Drow with a pet panther.
>>
>>52236460
>Starting in a tavern

The tavern start is fucking legendary.
>>
>>52236373
The 20-sided die
>>
Quick question. Is there a place where i could find high quality maps? I need maps of Elturel, Baldur's Gate etc. but i can't find any in high res.
>>
>>52236547
>>52236564
Arcana Wizard? Haven't heard of it.
>>
File: BG Map.png (6MB, 2000x1522px) Image search: [Google]
BG Map.png
6MB, 2000x1522px
>>52237425
This a scan of the map that came with Baldur's Gate, although it's "outdated" considering the 5e timeframe.
>>
>>52237440
I have to assume he meant Arcana domain Theurge, but that doesn't work either, you just get 2 more wizard cantrips, except they scale with wisdom and thus aren't as mechanically strong for you and should be things like Mage Hand and Prestidigation.
>>
>>52236564
If you meant nature domain theurgy then it doesn't work. The cantrip still count as Druid cantrip.
>>
>>52237476
>>52237479

Arcana Wizards, aka Lore Master Wizards from UA.

At level 14 they can cast any spell as a Wizard spell, once a day, without using any slots. So you'd have an Int based Shillelagh way after you'd need one, for a cost way higher than you'd want to pay. But it's doable.
>>
Isn't there a 6th edition?
>>
>>52237557
No.
>>
Are sentient races like Dwarves, Elves etc. vulnerable to some damage types? Monsters have damage resistances, vulnerabilities and immunities but i don't see any for player characters.
>>
Help me Fa/tg/uys, you're my only hope.

Well.. not my only hope, but I'm sure with your feedback my players would appreciate the impact your feedback will have on my campaign / our upcoming first session.

I'm fairly new to DMing (Only GMed WotC SW:Saga prior, having done a handful of campaigns), however, I have the most experience within our new group so I've volunteered to DM. (Wish me luck)

My group (2 experienced males, 1 first timer, and 2 first timer females) threw around a few ideas and they settled on wanting to do Monster Hunting so here's the setting:

Low-mid fantasy: Fantastic beasts, races, and gods exist, however, magic users are rather uncommon. Almost everyone has heard stories of magic and most have met or seen a magic user. Woollendale (open to input on every detail, from names to core aspects) is rather large as far as rural towns go. Situated in the rolling plains toward the center of the continent. Not far to the northeast is the continent's great dividing mountain range (Running NNW to SSE). The Dwarven Pass (which connects the east and western sections of the continent) is near Woollendale, and as such it sees many trade caravans and travelers.Surrounded by pastures of sheep & goat as well as fields of wheat and barley, Woollendale is home to The Right Riddle, a tavern known to all those who travel (Fine dwarven ale due to the proximity and trading, as well as great food).

Cont.
>>
File: d75e096762926efba24f8da9d74f3cc5.jpg (249KB, 1220x654px) Image search: [Google]
d75e096762926efba24f8da9d74f3cc5.jpg
249KB, 1220x654px
>>52237643

Monsters have always been something to deal with for the people of Woollendale, livestock go missing or are killed. Occasionally trade caravans, travellers, and even locals get attacked. However, recently, it hasn’t been an occasional issue.There are rumours that the town scribe, a venerable elf who is far older than any other citizen of Woollendale, is a retired monster hunter.A group of young individuals, hoping to rise to their town’s need decides to approach this elf and ask for training.(quickly now) the rumours were right and the man filled with his experience, teaches the basics of a range of skills (explaining peasant to class) to the party. During this training the attacks on caravans have gotten worse and worse, travellers have been travelling less and less, what few travellers there are bring similar news from all over the land.Monsters seem to be growing braver, some never before seen are laying wastes to entire towns. The party realises they no longer have time to train and must go out to Hunt Monsters.The first session will begin with the players a stone’s throw from the town, setting off to the location of the latest attack report. A trade caravan alongside the mountains (2-3 days travel by road)So Fa/tg/uys, what would you like to see in a Monster Hunting campaign (this has NOTHING to do with the Monster Hunter games), and what could I do to create a great experience for the first session?
>>
>>52237611
No. Game-play balance.
>>
Hey guys, looking at the monk class. Can someone explain whats so good about getting Astral Projection at level 18? Why is it a 9th level spell? What makes it so good?
>>
>>52235221
How high is high? I am starting a 5th level char and have rolled 15.14.13.12.10.9 Is this high enuf if i play variant human ex?
>>
>>52237396
Eh, he most likely would let me but I can't see myself multiclassing it.

I really despise planning out multiclassing because it doesn't feel natural, I like when it relates to the actual game. If I dip Paladin it's most likely because I ran into some Paladins and joined their order, not because I decided I want some smites.

On top of that multiclassing into Warlock is a whole can of worms for flavor.

First I have to come up with a reason my perfectly competent character made a deal with something, I'm also now expected to hold up my end of the bargain which I most likely have little say over and last of all I'm now the worst kind of powergamer. The kind that realises all a Warlock's good for is abilities gained levels 1-3.
>>
>>52237686
Don't do it. It's a joke for a shit character.

With that you've basically rolled the standard point buy, so you're as good as a point buy character.
>>
>>52237695
>With that you've basically rolled the standard point buy, so you're as good as a point buy character.
Well its still high for 3d6 straight, wich is how we roll
>>
>>52237688
>Not realising the potential for a village yokel sorcerrer using earth magic to pull out the ''sword in the stone''.
>>
>>52237706
Well shit, you had some very good luck then. You can play pretty much anything you want really. Sky's the limit.

>>52237710
Already what triggered his Stone Sorcery, it was the sword his Dao grandfather left there.

But honestly I can't be the only person who hates how 95% of characters have something to gain from dipping Warlock right? It's more of me making a point about refusing to do it, as stupid as it sounds.
>>
>>52235177
After this one can we get one for favorite Class overall? Or maybe even race? I'm just kinda curious about that.
>>
File: IMG_0015.jpg (175KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
175KB, 600x800px
How do you replicate the vampire's weaknesses from previous editions? Most of them have been removed for some reason.
>>
Can a Sorcerer use metamagic on spells cast with Warcaster's reaction? Such as a twinned Booming Blade?
>>
>>52236750
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books

on the bottom, zip file
>>
>>52237968
As long as the metamagic doesn't specify an action or bonus action then yes.
>>
My pally died, the group is made up of a Life Cleric, Shadow Monk/Warlock and Evoc Wizard. I was thinking of rolling to a Nomad Mystic to act as a skill monkey and ranged attack. Should I or should i go Order of The Immortal.
>>
>>52238198
Nomad is great for ranged combat. Teleports let you kite for days.
>>
>>52238198
>Paladin died with a literal healmonkey cleric in the party

That nig has got some splainin to do.
>>
what are the ideal natural features/geography for building a prosperous kingdom or city and other settlements
>>
>>52238366
Fresh water, fertile soil, lush vegetation, mild to no winter, and mountains for defensible fortifications.

Mines rich with metals/gems and ample forest for lumber. You just got godmode for prosperity.
>>
>>52237706
just go awakened for fun or nomad for power. the true strength of the immortal will be only in multiclass.
>>
>>52238331
>>52238198
Also think going Elf (Wood) so I get the bow use proficiency.
>>
>>52238504
Wouldn't High Elf or Eldarin be better for the plus to Intelligence and the bow proficiency.
>>
>>52238539
Okay high then
>>
File: magicgun.jpg (6KB, 339x149px) Image search: [Google]
magicgun.jpg
6KB, 339x149px
>>52235345
i dunno but here's a copy-paste of the magic guns i made for my homebrew wild west fantasy setting

i don't have numbers yet
http://pastebin.com/JQypw6gV

tl;dr -- they're gauss guns which are new and suck, regular guns are still new and suck, and bows and crossbows are still cool
>>
>>52238366
Aside from what the other anon said, you might want to consider:

>Does it need to be easy to defend? (On an island, for example. Sometimes extreme climates can also make things easier to defend. However, both of these might inhibit prospering.)

>What age is it in? Are people using wood, coal or oil, or some other resource? How far can their technology dig, do they need surface deposits of coal because they lack whatever?

Rivers, flood plains, some mountains with folded-up deposits... A bit of variety is good but you mostly want a mild climate (England is a great example: The sea cools it in the summer and heats it in the winter. It's warmer than places further south than it in winter, like Minnesota, but colder than Minnesota in the summer. Also rain.)

Certain soil types tend to help, too. I hear there used to be a lot of chalkland in England which was generally harsher but had its own breeds of plant, but that chalkland can't sustain cattle as well, so people treated the soil for better farming.

Good farming practices and crop rotation is a thing.
>>
I'm making a Halfling Soul Knife and wondering if it's worth it to dip for two-weapon fighting or if I should just not worry about the off-hand attack.
>>
>>52239002
Don't fuck up your psi point progression or disciplines known.
>>
>>52239002
>off hand attack
it only matters if you're out of PSI points
>>
>>52238366
Water sources are very important.

If it's on an island then it's got to have ports for trade.

Just look at places like London and think about why they are where they are.
>>
Are there any Battlemaster Maneuvers you'd like added?
>>
>>52239451
Something that Silences for a round.
>pommel blow some fucking wizard in the throat
>>
Almost tricked our rogue into murdering the paladin last session. Too bad the ranger and cleric intervened. And the best thing is, the rogue didn't even know he was killing the paladin and the others didn't know they were saving him. Only the paladin knows.
The players asked that I don't fuck with their minds anymore.
>>
>>52239580
no that would be too unbalanced against spell casters
Wizards of the coast would never allow that
>>
>>52239580
Leave the spellcasters alone :(
>>
>>52239580

My table we allow for the restrained condition to remove the ability to cast Somatic components
>>
What's a good powerlevel estimate for the various levels?
>>
>>52235563

elder god or greater being, i try to keep my campaigns as visceral and real as possible.

I've always had an idea of a elder spirit residing in the corpse of a dragon, who represents the silence/void and would make it so unless they have silent casting they can't do shit magic wise, or communicate with each other in battle.
>>
I want to give one of my PCs an NPC follower who will serve as her mouthpiece so she can get more involved in the story (right now she basically sits around during talky bits because she has 6 int and thinks that means she ought to be retarded) . She's big into dragons, so I was thinking of giving a disabled baby dragon she can carry around who will serve as the brains to her brawn.

Good idea/bad idea? Just gonna treat it as a sentient magic item that can cast a couple of spells and maybe give a buff of some kind as long as she's schlepping it around.
>>
>>52235922
Doesn't include smell taste or feeling, so what's the fucking point. Every third caster can scry into changing rooms and bathouses.
>>
>>52236648
If you're going animate weapon cheese (and your DM interprets animate weapon and soul knife to be usable together) Mastery of Wood and Stone is decent.
>>
>>52239879
The problem with that is that A: you shouldn't treat NPCs as equipment, B: dragons aren't especially servile and you'd be better off with a pseudodrafon or faerie dragon, and C: there's relatively common magic that can un-disable a character.
>>
>>52239879

Make it it the oposite. Make it an incredibly shy baby dragon who only trusts her and needs her to speak for it
>>
>>52238198
Do it. Nomads are fun as hell. Everyone loves teleport shenanigans
>>
>>52235857
>grow up in town where use of magic is punishable by death
>everyone is trained in close quarter combat or archery
>for some reason (a god, a dream, curiosity, thirst for power,...) you get interested in magic
>learn your ancestors were powerful magicians that combined magic and weapons
>also learn that your ancestors almost killed everyone with magic so magic was forbidden from then on
>spend time to try and master your people's forgotten art

And you got yourself a hybrid kind of thing.
>>
/5eg/, I've got a pretty stupid question, and I don't have anywhere better to ask
If a man in fullplate punches another man in fullplate in the face (helmet), what happens?
>>
This is the worst OP I've ever seen, oh my god.
>>
>>52235345
Took mercer's Gunslinger and made firearms come from a technomagic city.
>>
>>52240393
I am very new so I am going to guess and see if it right. So I will go with you will have to roll for damage taken. Wait for someone else's response who knows better though.
>>
>>52240393

Hand is broken. Face is also worse for wear.

The origins of Judo supposedly stem from techniques Samurai used to fight in close quarters, because strikes were useless against men in riding armor.
>>
>>52236750
They've been in the Mega for ages, right next to the PDF.
>>
I want to play a dual wielding hexblade Paladin. How terrible is this and can I make it work?
>>
>>52235414
Read very carefully what >>52235694 said, very good advise.

I made the mistake of rolling for random encounters inbetween cities. At some point I felt like it was an incredibly stupid thing to do even if I had 20 random outcomes, it was the opposite of fun. So I just stopped doing that altogether and instead when prepping I considered random encounters that were not necesarrily fights. E.g. my group met a merchant by the side of the road sitting at a campfire with his wife and son and his slave. I would describe him as being extremly rude and violent to his slave, giving my group the option of either questioning that behaviour and maybe having someone roleplay it out and develop his character.
(What really happened was our meme-player, who is a close friend of mine, went full retard, insulted the merchant, spat on him and slapped him. In return I had the slave ram a poisoned dagger in his back to maybe make him understand he's not all powerful. I'm still considering what the poison will do)
Another encounter I had was a rather weak looking goblin (I chose goblin because no one spoke that language) came up to the group and put out his hands palms facing up, pointing at his stomach. Some guy gave him food and in return he gave them a rune, that I have absolutely nothing planned for but it's still there.

All in all, even if it sounds retarded imagine what some popular anime would tell the story like. Imagine Naruto or DBZ showing the main character walking in bumfuck nowhere having 1 second fights every other minute.
>>
>>52240626
Dont go beyond 3rd level
>>
>>52240644
beyond 3rd in in pally or hexblade? I assume hex
>>
Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I'm fairly new to GMing for a group of friends (8 monthsish).

They're entering a dungeon tonight which is supposed to be a silent tomb that hasn't been opened in over a thousand years. I'm having difficulty planning good traps or puzzles, and enemies that aren't skeletons. I don't want to have anything really "living" down there as part of the theme. Would anyone have suggestions, or a good place to look?
>>
>>52237414
The tavern start is such a meme that even though multiple experience DMs have told ours not to do it, he did it anyway, the absolute mad man.

He ended up thinking it was pretty lame but I and the rest of the players thought it was pretty fun/funny.
>>
>>52240665
Check out the DMG or the trap UA for some examples of nice traparoonies.

When it comes to monsters just base their stats of something simple as the skeleton but depict them in whatever manner you see fit.
>>
File: 11.jpg (447KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
447KB, 1920x1080px
>>52240665
Mushroom men? Living almagations of mushrooms? Insects controlled by brain washing mushrooms? idk brah
>>
>>52236460
>hill dwarf cleric

My exact character. This hurts
>>
>>52240665
Spirits of the dead that have opened a pseudoportal to the hell.

Lemures, ghosts, living shadows and gargoyles. Spirits that have possessed inanimate objects like weapons and clothing.
>>
>>52240665
There are a lot of interesting undead in the game, anon. There are shadows, banshees, ghasts, ghouls, flameskulls. Mummies are criminall underused.
I also advise you to try phantom warriors or Strahd zombies, they're both from Curse of Strahd.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Strahd%20Zombie
>>
>>52240696
Good call I forgot about the trap UA thanks

>>52240697
Mushroom amalgamations is a good idea. The final area is illuminated by underground fauna so it could be foreshadowing.

>>52240707
>>52240724
Spirits and ghosts we're definitely things I've been considering too. I'll look into those suggestions, thanks!
>>
>>52240665
Use Spawn of Kyuss from Volo's and play this while they fight it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfWI-yV7TUY
>>
>>52240814
Lol that's fucking awesome.
>>
>>52237643
50% of your group has never played 5e, but you want to pretty much come up with your own system when you haven't had your own campaign played yet?
That's a recipe for 6 players who will never play again unless I'm missing something here.
>>
>>52235229
They just happen. Bend Luck spends a reaction, but the character doesn't even necessarily need to know it's happening.

They and their friends just are more lucky.
>>
>>52239583
You will have to elaborate on that, Mr. buzzfeed.
>>
/5eg/, we're a level 7 party of five people, and tomorrow we're fighting a beholder. Any advice on how to defeat it?
>>
>>52240989
Bring a mirror. Present the beholder with its own image.

Itll either love it as the epitome of beauty, or hate it because the image is flipped and it thinks that its seeing an inferior beholder.

Seriously, this is how they canonically think.
>>
>>52240989
Hit it a bunch and don't get disintegrated.
>>
>>52239879
>she has 6 int and thinks that means she ought to be retarded

It does mean she's retarded though.
>>
>>52241064
>>52240989
>Welcome to MXC, today's two teams are the "Underlevelled Adventurers" and the "Overused Baddies!"

>What's our slogan? DON'T GET DISINTEGRATED!
>>
I can't believe you guys actually support this shitty mystic, it's so overpowered it hurts.
It can literally do everything better than any specialized class.
>>
>>52241087
I'm just going to have fun with it and not abuse it to make the rest of the party look like weak, useless babies. I willingly offer to tone down or simply not use the overpowered combos and wait for the balance fixes after WotC gets their feedback.

Because I have more class than the average casterfaggot.
>>
>>52241087
Neat.
>>
>>52240989
Mirrored pavise shields on wheels. Sit behind cover and shoot missiles at it.

Alternatively, drop Darkness on it, grapple the fucker, and clown its ass while it is RAW incapable of firing rays at you. Hell, you can just sit in Darkness on your own and take potshots out of it; you don't need to see a creature to attack it, but a beholder does need to see you to target eye rays.
>>
>>52241108
But you have unlimited Proficency and all your attacks do more damage than spells and what any fighter can hope to accomplish!
And hammer of inquisition causes wisdom disadvantage!
It's all so overpowered, you fucking munchkin.
>>
For the mystic discipline Master of Light and Dark, what is the duration of the create darkness 1-7 option? It's not conc. And I don't see any "it lasts x".
>>
>>52241141
I was already playing a Mystic before this latest revision and I purposefully didn't use Mind Vault (the old name for the "pick a thing, you've got proficiency" focus' discipline).

Being a cheeselord is a conscious choice. You can easily choose to not be one.
>>
>>52241162
It's believed it's supposed to be concentration, but they forgot.
There's a few typos with it.
>>
>>52241162
INFINITE
DARKNESS
>>
>>52241162
You should just copy the Darkness spell and make it Conc.
It's not the first time a UA has had obvious typos, omissions, and damage errors that make no sense.
>>
>>52241162
Because it isn't supposed to end, mystics are OP trash to be played by trash.
And anyone who defends them hasn't played the game.
>>
>>52241173
No matter what you pick you're gonna be better than the rest of the party at it.
kys you shitlord.
>>
>>52241180
>legends tell of a mysterious group of people who, upon waking to their otherworldly powers, create an eternal sphere of pitch black darkness before realizing they can't make it go away and then swear to not do that again
>>
>It's an incredibly dexterous wizard that casts mage armor on himself every morning episode
>>
>>52241225
this is why all of my dungeons are 8 hours away from town
>>
>>52241225
>it's a monsters break the cleric's concentration in the first round of combat episode
>>
>>52241225
>it's a wizard player doesn't want to wait 30 seconds for the fighter player to describe his weird macgyver jury-rigged invention to the DM so the party can get past the trap and casts a spell to do it and then complains about being out of spell slots before we're even at the final boss JIM YOU FUCKING LUNKHEAD episode
>>
File: Mind flayers.jpg (53KB, 500x683px) Image search: [Google]
Mind flayers.jpg
53KB, 500x683px
> Every player not playing a wizard dumped his intelligence to 8 because "it's useless"
Guess who your new antagonists are.
>>
>>52241342
>71 hp
>30 speed
Call me when they're a threat
>>
>>52238071
>https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books
Oh wow, I'm dumb. Thanks.
>>
File: Nervous Ryder.webm (646KB, 420x460px) Image search: [Google]
Nervous Ryder.webm
646KB, 420x460px
>>52241377
> 1 minute stun
>>
File: cardboard knight.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
cardboard knight.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
>>52235177
why is battlemaster first place
>>
>>52241439
It's fun and it's a good martial class.
>>
>>52241439
Because it's the only fun archetype.
>>
>>52237686
Considering at 5th you've got an 18 I'm your primary stat and a couple 14s to throw around, it's not a horrible stat array. You rolled pretty average considering the possibilities.

But yeah, decent spread.
>>
>>52241427
>save to end every round
>implying I'm letting this skwidboi within 60 feet of me while I fill his ass full of holes
>>
>>52241454
>>52241458
it sucks
>>
>>52241342
>Point buy
You knew it would happen.
>>
>>52241531
>t. champion player
>>
>>52241342
Enjoy when the monk player just runns up to it and stunns it.
>>
>>52241531
I agree that maneuvers should have been standard for Fighters (or all martials), but we play the hands we're dealt.
>>
>>52235761
Old Favored Soul? You mean the one mentioned in article on modyfing classes?

I dont know answer, but i kind like the other one, because it allows me to create "white mage" type of character, unlike ironclad clerics.
>>
>>52241531
Quality discussion
>>
File: Doctor Lexi I'm Andromeda.jpg (398KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Doctor Lexi I'm Andromeda.jpg
398KB, 1000x563px
>>52241473
> implying it will be alone
>>
>>52235857
My approach to gishes was always "i want to know everything there is to know". Not limiting yourself to just one field, but emracing adventuring life in its entirety.

Or my other gish character was war - mage. He was mage support in army and altough she had extensive magical training, he was trained in melee (admitedly, less so.)
>>
How would you rule an alloy of adamantine and mithral would work?
Assume a set of plate armor made of it for your base on determining what it does.
>>
>>52241738
Adamantine is dwarven in nature, while mithril is elven. Making an alloy out of them is a recipe for disharmony - they end up in conflict, canceling out each other's strengths, and the result ends up worse than iron.
>>
>>52241768
Is adamantine heavier than iron?
>>
>>52235563
A Dao, a Djinni, an Efreet and a Marid tag-teaming the party.

Shame that's apparently a deadly CR20 counter.
>>
>>52241768
Uh, no.
Sorry lad, but thats not how metallurgy works.
First of all, mithral is as strong as steel at half the weight.
Adamantine is the same weight as steel but is a good deal harder and more durable.

These qualities are not mutually exclusive and might not necessarily cancel each other out. And they certainly would not make for something weaker than steel in any regard.
>>
File: 1481929800080.jpg (98KB, 476x341px) Image search: [Google]
1481929800080.jpg
98KB, 476x341px
>>52241342
>10th level GOO warlock
>mfw DM tries to send Mind Flayers and Intellect Devourers after us
It's not even fair for them.
>>
>>52241566
>"Battlemaster sucks"
>"Yeah, everyone should have been like battlemaster"
It's not that I disagree with you, but your answer is completely irrelevant to the person you're responding to.

>>52241768
Adamentite is primarily used by drow.
>>
>>52241918
His post was irrelevant to reality.
>>
>>52241881
>One metal is magic
>Other metal is magic
>For some reason, the process and the result of making an alloy out of them is completely mundane
Hm-m-m-m-m... Really makes you think...
>>
>>52241887
How exactly being a GOO warlock helps?
>>
File: 1455304252855.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1455304252855.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>Come up with great idea for your campaign/a character in bed
>Don't remember when you wake up

Always write your ideas down friends
>>
File: Capture.png (92KB, 334x106px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
92KB, 334x106px
>>52241973
Immune to pretty much every attack from them and effectively invisible to intellect devourers because they hunt by detecting thoughts.
>>
>>52235172
i used to play dnd in person without a map or game pieces. Never DM'd back then.

Is it pretty viable with dnd 5e???

it just seems to make the whole thing move faster and be more fun.
>>
>>52241738
Reminder: adamantine was originally an alloy of mithril, in addition to being naturally occurring
How does that work? It's a fucking fantasy world, who cares.
Mithril + adamantine is either "just adamantine" or "shit adamantine", take your pick.
>>
>>52241918
To be fair, Fighters were unnecessarily gutted, you could give them every feature of the battle master archetype as standard and it wouldn't make them much better.
>>
What do you guys want from the next UA, now that we finally got Mystics?
>>
>>52242008
WTF, I love Great Old Ones now. Shame that level 10 is usually endgame for most adventures.
>>
>>52242031
but fighters are sooooooo strong
they get a third and fourth attack at levels far beyond the normal scope of the game
that fourth attack is reaaaaally good, especially compared to nearly every other class gaining resistance to everything
>>
>>52242042
Psionic subclasses for other classes
>>
>>52242042
Warlords. But I'm fine with anything, as long as it's not as boring as Traps Revisited or Mass Combat.
>>
File: flaminsoheis.jpg (286KB, 1024x818px) Image search: [Google]
flaminsoheis.jpg
286KB, 1024x818px
>>52242042
Psionic archetypes for other classes.
S O H E I B O I S
>>
>>52242046
Stop running adventures and start running homebrews that don't end until your party takes control of the entire planet.
>>
>>52241956
Never reply to one of my posts again, you massive autistic mongoloid. I know that you think you're "witty" with your ebin magic memes, and that you're so terrifically smart talking about the "dwarven" and "elven" metals (as though they aren't naturally occurring metals in the goddamn settings, they're literally found in ore veins you humongous fucking retard) and how smelting them together is "disharmonious", but the reality of this situation is that not only are you wrong on multiple levels, but you managed to make yourself look like a collossal faggot and insulted me and everyone else in here by presenting us with your stupid bullshit to read. Everything about your existence sickens me.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>52242065
>tfw no torch-using class
>>
>>52242089
>making a sandbox campaign
>oodles of cities and cultures and lore and shit
>just gonna tell my PCs to do whatever the fuck they want, because every campaign invariably gets sidetracked with the party trying to upgrade some tower, crumbling keep, or airship and taking over the countryside
>>
>>52242065
Why wouldn't they make it similar to Rifts, requiring you to roll a d100 to decide if your character has innate Psionic abilities.
>>
File: 1462477225093.jpg (28KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1462477225093.jpg
28KB, 350x335px
>>52242090
Jesus.
>>
>>52242065
Maybe not psionics but archetypes for each main class that fit some kind of theme would be cool.
>>
>>52242122
Because this isn't Dark Sun and you're not rolling for a natural talent. If you want to play a Psion, it's just assumed your character was one of the few people capable of being one, just like how if you want to play a Wizard, it's assumed that you are one of the people with magical aptitude, or if you want to be a Dragon Sorcerer, it's assumed you have FUCKING DRAGON ANCESTRY
>>
>>52242026
"Among some bardic circles it was said that mithral combined with steel could create adamantine, but according to dwarves, this was laughable."
>>
>>52242161
Problem: Why wouldn't you always opt for having free Psionic abilities?
>>
>>52242172
>hey dwarf, i hear mithril and steel makes adamantine, is that true?
>WHAT, WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU HEAR THAT MA--i mean, no, ha ha, that's utterly ridiculous. everyone would be making adamantine then. no, no, it's truly an ancient and closely-guarded secret among the dwarves and far too complex for you shitty little babies to ever handle, ha ha, mithril and steel, that's a good one, hoo boy, gonna tell the mates
>>
>>52235857
I know I'm going to regret asking this, but...
Why is the word 'gish'?
>>
>>52242017
I played that way a year and a half. It has its ups and downs but it's certainly a possible way to play.
>>
>>52242180
Because this isn't Dark Sun and you don't have psionic talents unless you're a Mystic.

Dark Sun allowed for characters of any class to have minor psionic abilities, and then there were people who actually went and pursued that as their whole class. But for the third time, this ain't Dark Sun.
>>
>>52242207
Is this Dark Sun?
>>
>>52242207
Why aren't we playing Dark Sun? That's the question we should be asking.
>>
>>52237695
>It's a joke for a shit character.
>path and features of that path are joke
Is immortal using immortal disciplines, why is that a joke? are you implying trap options exist?
>>
>>52242202
Old D&D lore has a race called the githyanki, and their name for Fighter/Wizards (which was a popular combination among them lore-wise) was "gish".

It's just a really shorthand way of saying "magic-martial hybrid".
>>
File: wood.jpg (42KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
wood.jpg
42KB, 377x500px
>>52242210
Lemme check.

Nope, it's wood, which pretty much doesn't exist in Dark Sun.
>>
>>52242192
>stupid goy, don't you know that dwarven craftsmanship is superior?
>Stronger than elven stuff, itll last you a lifetime you silly goy
>Thats why it costs so much, goy - you only ever need to buy ONE.
>Trust me, Im a dwarf, I know good work when I see it
>>
>>52235177
Battlemaster, I understand. It has mechanics that all martials should have gotten.
College of Lore, I understand. It's potentially the best archetype in the game.
But why is GOO so high?
>>
>>52242220
They exist, people don't want to believe it, they think 5e is perfect but they're options out there that are simply worse than any other option
>>
>>52242203
what made you stop?

maybe I just don't play with the right individuals - for the 3 sessions I DM'd they all just had dead eyed looks, fell asleep at the table, and constantly looked at their phone.
One player just kept trying to get himself killed so he could go back to playing overwatch with an excuse. I'd say I did a pretty decent job to make things fun and engaging, while encouraging rp but it all just fell apart.
a few of them blamed it on the pacing, that's why I'm curious to try without maps and strict movement rules. This was 4e mind you.
>>
>>52242221
>A surprisingly sensible reason for the term.
Well, I learned something today.
>>
>>52235177
Where's sun soul monk? why are there so few options?
>>
File: golddwarves.png (86KB, 284x670px) Image search: [Google]
golddwarves.png
86KB, 284x670px
>>52242262
>Gold Dwarves
>literally throwing gold away because they have more than anyone knows what to do with
>their commoners make human nobles look like beggars
>>
>>52242301
Because every day, that anon ran polls - which archetypes are your favourite - from each class. When it was over, he gathered those who ranked the best into this one.
Personally I'm surprised by how popular Hunter Ranger and GOO warlock turned out to be. I expected Beast and Fey to win.
>>
>>52242301
http://www.strawpoll.me/12511533/r

Way of Open Hand was twice as popular as Way of Sun Soul.
>>
>>52235439
>you don't know until you fire it
>>
>>52242042
Revised snacks
>>
>>52242288
Well my friends and I started that way because we had nothing to play with, no mats or minis. After time though we slowly got more stuff and now we mostly play with grids and minis, at least in combat and sometimes out of combat. Your friends honestly just don't sound that into the game, I don't think it's tools' you're using fault.
>>
>>52242604
>inb4 (((Mearls))) wil actually release UA: Food and Provisions that 5eg joked about
>>
>>52242605

good to hear you're doing well.
4e is known to be slower than 5e right?
>>
>>52242216
because WotC won't update it :(
>>
>>52242281
C'thulhu has a surprisingly good 401k plan for all his acolytes. Duh.
>>
>>52240913
>party goes to the city of mages to visit their library to find information relevant to their quest
>a takes them to the section with relevant books
>tells them that one of the books is strongly magical
>people get sucked in and when they get out more time has passed for them on the inside than on the outside
>they almost always get traumatized or almost killed because they "didn't have an invitation"
>party gets permission from the archmage to use that book since it seems important
>they write their names on the front page that has "guest list" written on it with the names of all those who tried before
>then they close the book and knock on the cover as instructed
>they appear near a fancy manor at night with mist all around them
>sounds of laughter and partying emanates from within
>all their gear is gone and they instead only have formal clothes on
>entering the manor, the servant at the door announces their arrival
>the party scatters to find out what's going on
>other guests seem happy but unhelpful, something seems off about all of them
>monk notices that their faces blur when he doesn't look directly at them
>paladin asks about who owns the manor, no name is given
>all the guests talk about "the Master"
>monk ventures upstairs, ranger raids the kitchen, paladin looks for the master and others gather info
>monk finds an old man sitting alone near a fireplace reading a book
>monk talks philosophy with the old man while the paladin has located the master
>an impossibly fat man gorging himself on food with a crowd around him
>four grey robed guardians surround the blob of fat
>paladin tries to go nearer but is stopped by a guardian who has no face
>tries to taunt the fatso but he doesn't seem to even hear or care
>ranger, cleric and rogue discuss strategy with the paladin
cont
>>
>>52242704
>sound of dishes breaking and door slamming open can be heard from the kitchen accompanied by laughter
>head chef comes out and tells the party that the main dish has escaped and asks the honored guests to fetch it back
>it headed towards the hedge maze so it won't be hard to find
>ranger immediately realizes what going to happen but agrees
>they get some knives and cleavers from the kitchen and go outside
>except for the paladin who takes a cleaver and goes back to the master
>tries to assault him but finds himself unable to move under the gaze of the faceless guardian
>it's gaze forces the paladin to slit his own throat
>paladin's body disappears
>nobody is there to see it
>I slip a note to the paladin's player
>the trio navigates the maze and arrive at a small clearing in the middle
>a small man is hiding in the corner
>they try to speak but he cannot talk
>they hear a commanding voice in their head "choose"
>cleric and ranger try to figure things out
>rogues wants to attack the man
>ranger stops the rogue
>they hear the voice again but louder "choose or die"
>the cleric casts cure wounds on the man who disappears in a flash of light
>meanwhile, the old man reading upstairs tells the monk "it seems your friends have passed the first test"
>I tell the paladin player that he regains consciousness near the manor entrance
>the cleric's player realizes what has happened
The look on his face was pure gold. The note I gave the paladin was "you are the main course, you cannot speak, your friends cannot recognize you".
Then there were two more tests.
>>
File: 1301454688833.jpg (45KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
1301454688833.jpg
45KB, 363x475px
I'd love to hear about how some of you have fluffed your warlock pacts. I like the inherent flexibility. How did it occur? What were the terms? What is your relationship with your patron? Anything else noteworthy?

My patron is an erinyes who is distantly related to my tiefling warlock. She treats my warlock we are in a dysfunctional family relationship. I have reason to believe, OOC, that she's blackmailing a member of my party into sticking around, so my character is happy and well-protected. I love my DM.
>>
>>52235177
>no Arcane Warrior

It's fucking core. You should be ashamed.

Abstained.
>>
>>52242663
All games are equally slow when no one at your table thinks about their action until it's their turn.
>>
>>52242704
>>52242724
>paladin sees a fat guy
>decides to talk shit to him
what
>party goes hunting for some creature
>paladin decides to fuck off and murder the aforementioned fat guy
WHAT
>>
File: sadcrusader.png (718KB, 605x493px) Image search: [Google]
sadcrusader.png
718KB, 605x493px
>>52242788
Removing alignment restrictions was a mistake
not that it ever stopped edgelords from playing muh jackass crusader class and murdering peasants with holy laserblades
>>
>>52242788
He decided that the fat man was the master and that he was evil. Commence smiting. The previous shit talking was just to see what would happen.
To be fair, I set the mood in such way that it was pretty obvious what was going on there so the paladin technically took the correct course of action, just a bit too soon and without proper weapons.
>>
>>52242821
And also, I was too lazy to prepare anything except the initial premise beforehand so I had to improvise the whole fucking thing.
>>
>>52242821
>you can just decide people are evil because they're gluttonous now
>>
>>52242820
And people laughed at Gynax when he said alignment should have a strong mechanic element.
>>
>>52242788
>>52242820
>>52242849
Also, the paladin knows that he isn't good. He's your archetypal overzealous holy murderer. Not that he usually assaults people, but they knew this was some sort of illusion so hey, why wait for proof of guilt when you can just kill them all and sort it out later?
>>
File: Ryder confused.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
Ryder confused.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>52242741
>Arcane Warrior
>>
>>52242042
Feats: Every playstyle gets one not shit feat edition.
>>
>>52242952
Speaking of feats: best ones for a monk?
>>
>>52242741
If you mean Eldritch Knight, it didn't come first or get at least 20% of the vote so it didn't count towards it.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12498055/r
>>
>>52242731
Paladin/Warlock. Full on 'muh gods' power source instead of Oath. Pick a shady god, but don't fuck over the party.
>>
>>52242859
I always thought that was fine.
Later editions went awry by enforcing alignment restrictions where it makes no sense.

Bards are arcane spellcasters, like Wizards. They (in some fluff) have inborn magical talent, like Sorcerers, and also use Cha, like Sorcerers. They're skillmonkeys, and arguably Rogue-ish.
Neither Wizard nor Sorcerer has an alignment restriction, and Rogue doesn't have it, either. Where does the Non-Lawful restriction for Bard come from? Who or what is floating around in the ethereal plane and slapping the music-magic out of Bards if they are insufficiently free-spirited?

Unless a class or character was directly being empowered by some entity that has its own morality, personality, and views on what it wants its "minions" to be doing, there shouldn't be an alignment restriction on that class. Lawful Barbs, sure. Lawful Bards, go nuts. Evil Paladins? No, because your God beats the shit out of you and takes their powers back, go be a Blackguard or some shit. Wizards of any alignment? No one's giving you your powers, so go nuts.
>>
>>52242859
Gynax the Pussy Crusader, fucks bitches, kills evildoers, and eats all the pussy he wants.
>>
>>52242961
Mobile.
>backflip off of literally every enemy
>run a bajillion miles
>beat up an enemy, run far enough away that he can't catch you, go prone to avoid the shots of all his allies, then stand up and run back over to beat his face in next round
>>
>>52242063
Avatar is the exact reason why WOTC has been skirting around warlords.
Take a look at some of the mantles and crowns.
>>
>>52243023
If someone wanted to play a Warlord I'd just tell 'em
>pick Avatar Mystic
>you're Cha-based now
>only take Avatar disciplines
>psi points are "yelling points"
>here's your banner
Done.
>>
>>52243023
Avatar is pretty poorly designed though. Avatar keyed diciplines are pretty good, but come on
>get improved healing at 6th level
>only one discipline can heal, and it's an Immortal discipline
>it's still a tough sell vs Mantle of Joy's healing
>>
>>52243076
I still don't get the point of Soul Knife when the other subclasses can do the same thing but better.
>>
>>52243076
The Mystic's old heal-when-you-spend-psi feature is now discipline agnostic and the only other thing that restricts your discipline choices are your bonus discs at first level, you can take whatever you want.

Shit, just say the feature works whenever any healing happens. It really doesn't matter. What's it gonna be, +3-4? Whoop de doo.
>>
>>52237643
>>52237650
Honestly, for first timers, have them travel WITH a caravan that is then attacked. Have two monsters attack the caravan, but one flees. Give them the option of continuing with the caravan or tracking and killing the (hopefully wounded) surviving monster.

Keep it simple. I like the training idea - I think that's a great way to show off the combat framework of 5e. Maybe do some sparring with the old Monster Hunter, combined with some basic skill checks. Think Call of Duty handholding tutorial.

As to monster hunting? Trophies. Potions made from specific monster parts. Magical beast bits. Let the players know this ahead of time.
>The passes are full of winter wolves. Watch out for their frost breath, and if you do kill one, it's XXX can be used as a freezing poison.

Try to have multiple tiers of difficulty exist simultaneously around the players. Giants in the distance, mid level monsters with specific territories, that sort of thing. Let the players decide when to tackle these threats.

That's pretty much it. Keep your worldbuilding to broad strokes, be ready to improv, and make sure everyone's having a good time.
>>
How do we fix the Indomitable feature?
>>
>>52243294
For starters, we could give it to players at a level they'll actually reach before the campaign ends.
>>
>>52243294
Gotta love /tg/. "How do we fix [something that isn't broken]?"

>>52243341
>Campaigns don't get to level 9
>>
>>52243391
You're right. Maybe 5-10% of them do. I guess that makes it OK.
>>
>>52243404
>Most campaigns don't reach level 17
I bet you think 9th-level spells need to be offered at a lower level, too?
>>
>>52243477
Nope.
>>
File: 1489622989377.png (86KB, 275x258px) Image search: [Google]
1489622989377.png
86KB, 275x258px
>None of my campaigns have made it to level 3
>>
If I houserule it so wizards get free Arcana proficiency, what does this break? I just can't think of a reason a wizard wouldn't have a solid understanding of Arcana.
>>
File: King Hekaton.png (86KB, 171x189px) Image search: [Google]
King Hekaton.png
86KB, 171x189px
>>52243531
Stop buffing wizards.
>>
>>52243531
They get 2 skills, and can pick arcana, let them do it themselves
>>52243592
Basically
>>
>>52243391
It's pretty boring. How do we make it more fun?
>>
>>52241539
This, that's why I only allow standard array, you don't see 8s in there.
>>
>>52243592
Well, since you insist
Im going to make it so that classes get extra proficiencies (skill, tool, or choose a language) equal to their intelligence score
Yes, this does mean that having a negative mod means you lose a proficiency or language
>>
File: Hekaton.jpg (13KB, 150x182px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton.jpg
13KB, 150x182px
>>52243731
Stop making shitty homerules.
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 424x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 424x550px
Been playing a Yuan-Ti mystic since January, since the class was updated my DM is letting me respec now (we're level 6 so there's a decent amount of options) but I'm unsure what I want to do.

I've been looking at:

Avatar - keep my medium armour / get shield, other party members are a Fighter and a War Priest so Mantle of Command and Joy look pretty neat, would have Nomadic Step and Psionic Restoration as other utility and either Mastery of Fire or Psychic Assault for my own damage potential.

Similar to the above but Nomad and swap the offensive discipline for Nomadic Arrow and just zip about everywhere.

Wu Jen and go with Mastery of Air, Fire, Ice, Force and Psionic Restoration for flavour and control.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52243634
You can't. It does what it's supposed to. If it bores you, replace it with something different.

>>52243500
>High-level fighter abilities should be available earlier
>High-level wizard abilities are fine where they are
Pick one.
>>
>>52243726
15 14 13 12 10 8 is the standard array though
>>
>>52243759
Well, since you insist
Wizards now recharge all slots on short rests to encourage liberal use of their abilities when it would be relevant
>>
File: Hekaton extreme.jpg (4KB, 112x65px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton extreme.jpg
4KB, 112x65px
>>52243817
Stop putting off suicide.
>>
>>52235341
>none of my real favorites are on this list
Yeah, same. :/
>>
>>52235367
>>52235409
>>52235413
These three are boring.
>>
>>52243811
>Mcbain in comedy central.jpg
>>
>>52243903
I don't get it.
>>
>Wizards get free Arcana proficiency, but only one other skill.
>>
>>52235656
>players pick up random piece of loot
>loot is haunted
>previous owner of that loot (the ghost) will follow the player and demand their death is avenged
>ghost is tied to the loot so long as the players keep it the ghost will follow them around
>don't tell them which item is haunted

The haunted item could be anything, or just wait till they pick something up then decide that it's haunted. If you REALLY wanna be evil make it a gold coin. They'll be haunted until they loose ALL their gold or fulfill the ghosts wish.
>>
>>52243940
That's the joke
>>
>>52243634
Personally, I'd make it legendary resistance. That makes it better, but then you roll less dice. I heard rolling dice is fun. So that makes it more boring too.
>>
>>52243857
Cantrips can be purchased from willing spellcasters who know them, and added to your repetoir for half the cost of copying a first level spell
>>
>>52244032
Cantrips are level 0 spells. The cost is 50xthe level. They should do it for free.
>>
>>52243974
What
>>
>>52244180
New thread.
>>
>>52244150
I already know elite array has an 8, that was the joke, that the other anon is a moron for complaining about characters having low numbers, you're going to get them whatever you do
>>
>>52244188
We literally have 6 pages to go before we fall off the board, why are you making the new thread so fucking early?
>>
File: 1483063488314.jpg (111KB, 603x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483063488314.jpg
111KB, 603x800px
Is an encounter with multiple treants more dangerous than its XP value would suggest? Considering that each is essentially 3 monsters.
>>
>>52235345

I have magic shells in my game. They're just refluffed evocation scrolls with a restriction that you need to be able to use the gun, so it's a fun toy for martial classes to pop off on occasion. Easy to balance since all the rules are there for scrolls and other such items already. You can even say the shell takes a full round to prime and fire, so the user can't abuse multiple attacks.
>>
>>52244352
Multiple monsters are more deadly than a single monster encountered three times.

A lone superpowered creature can be reduced to a whimpering mess when everybody surrounds it and kicks the shit out of it.
>>
How would you guys rule this
>player sitting behind big cover like a 5 foot wide tree
>pops out to shoot at exposed dude then ducks back behind tree
alt.
>shoots at dude doing the exact same thing as him
Would you do full obscurement in such a scenario like he can't be targeted? I ruled as if he takes a shot he gets 3/4 cover but if he doesn't preform an action that exposes him he gets total cover.
>>
>>52243531
Only if Sorcerrers get free Arcana expertise due to their natural tallent.
>>
>>52245131

Seems fair to me. Initiative and rounds are just abstractions to help keep things organized, combatants aren't literally taking turns.
>>
>>52243531
By this logic wizards should get a big boost to their int. Can you think of a reason a wizard would be stupid?

You gotta keep a few trap options in there.
>>
>>52243531
It doesn't break anything on its own but it makes wizards needlessly stronger unless you give every class a free non-perception skill.
>>
>Player gets killed by being dropped from 140 feet
>Keeps bitching about it despite GM and multiple players explaining why it wasn't physically possible for him to reorient himself in time to use his dumb Aasimar wings
Flying PCs are a mistake.
>>
>>52245670
>bringing real physics into d&d
>>
>>52243531

Alternatively, don't give wizards a free proficiency, and just mandate that arcana must be chosen. A wizard would be silly not to take it, so the rule changes nothing anyway.
>>
>>52245670
Why wouldn't he be able to reorient himself?
>>
>>52245875
It would take a human being about ~3.5 seconds to fall that quickly. That's only a little over half the amount of time in a turn. I highly doubt a human being could react to being dropped by a griffon and reorient their body in time to also use the wings they've only used ONCE before this point.
>>
>>52245670
>>52245903
Aasimar wing are incorporeal that is they are not composed of matter. They fly through divine magic.

Even putting aside that something with normal wings like an aarakocra can fly immediately if falling in the rules, an aasimars flying ignores your retarded requirements

Dumb ass
>>
>>52245903
Firstly,
>use the wings they've only used ONCE before this point

PCs aren't born into level 1, it's quite possible he used them before.

>it would take a human being about 3.5 seconds to fall that quickly

Is that what the rules say? Because
Rules > Reality

Honestly, I think that, even if you did go with the 3.5 seconds thing, you should've given him a save.
>>
>>52246104
You don't get them until level 3.
>>
>>52245131

Word of Crawford is that this is allowed, however the other side is allowed to ready an action to attack when he pops out, in which case he only gets as much cover as he will have when he makes the attack.

We had been playing it as "you only have as much cover as the least amount of cover you had during your turn" but we changed over to the RAW. It's a little more book work but so far I'm actually enjoying the increased tactical depth and the thundering resurgence of readied actions.
>>
>>52245670
As long as he has a reaction he should be able to do it.
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.