[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 405
Thread images: 39

File: Orc Lady.png (238KB, 1000x382px) Image search: [Google]
Orc Lady.png
238KB, 1000x382px
D&D 5th Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52139221

Weekly Art Edition
What's your favorite piece of art from fifth edition?
>>
>>52146516
>>52146385
If you're already wearing armor as a Monk, why not just use a fucking weapon?
>hi im a fighter who can bonus action dodge, run up walls, stun on hit, use evasion, and slowfall
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12519777
>>
Primeval Guardian seems awesome but trees are lame. What's some other ideas on what I could turn into? I was thought about a Golem but that's not cool.
>>
>>52148230
Where's the option for "3E or earlier Paladin"?
>>
>>52148235
Even the mechanics are all about literally becoming a tree, though.
>>
>>52148230
Oath of the Crown will always be the coolest, even if it is weak.
>>
>>52148254
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFF
>>
>>52148247
In /3eg/'s strawpoll.
>>
>>52148254
It's called refluffing. Tell me one ability that can't be.
>>
>>52148235
Don't be a tree, be a cool pseudo eldritch giant entity of phellogen and bast.
>>
>>52148230
I've gotta go with Treachery. It's fun.
Ancients is great too, though.
>>
>>52148247
There are people who like 3e's paladin?
Was your favorite part how all you got after level 5 was another use per week of cure disease every couple levels?
>>
>>52148230
Vengeance, for the Witch Hunter feel.
>>
>>52148235
Giant spooky tree with a whip fluffed as a noose.
>>
File: Sc3-lizardman-01.jpg (97KB, 550x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sc3-lizardman-01.jpg
97KB, 550x900px
>>52148169
Because lizardfolk can get 1d6 bites on Flurry of Blows, which you're going to be using anyways. You can still use a weapon then too, if you're really insistent about that +1 average damage and -4 style points or a handaxe for maximum Soul Calibur and also a throwing range. Also, bonus actions to bite until one actually connects and gives you thp, which is a pretty good substitute for martial arts.
>>
>>52148306
Paladins are the shield of the church, bro.
5E guys who just wanna do big numbers with greatswords and wank themselves off about how they can get away with anything and never violate their oath because "hu hu I justified it in some stupid way" are wannabe Crusaders, not Paladins.
>>
File: kobolds.jpg (67KB, 364x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kobolds.jpg
67KB, 364x1000px
>>52147843
Kobolds are pretty great
>>
>>52148324
You could talk Tavern Brawler, too.
>>
what would be an interesting class to play a goblin with? i was thinking barbarian. go shield+rapier and tank shit. prefer not to multiclass but rogue might be good. disengage would be good for getting out of melee when you're too low to be fighting, or to reposition without tanking OAs.
>>
So is armoured Monk a meme or can it be done? I've got a hard-on for high defence, thick armour and Unarmed Attacks.
>>
>>52148235
Bugbearmont.
>you become a giant bugbear who's so heavy he's stuck in place
>but he's got amazing reach
>>
>>52148356
Eeeeeh. All you lose out on by wearing armor as a monk is martial arts, unarmored movement, and the monk AC calculation. So I mean it CAN work, but you'd probably be better served doing something else (taking Tavern Brawler as a fighter or barbarian, for example).
>>
>>52148334
That's a problem with players, not the game.

Except for the part that you're apparently unhappy that paladins are actually good now.
>>
>>52148276
>>52148265
What's a creature that's incredibly tough but so rigid that it can only move 5 feet a turn?
That inflicts additional piercing damage when attacking a target?
That's capable of disrupting the ground around it and transforming the nearby area into difficult terrain?

I don't know, Primeval Guardian is all about being a Primeval Guardian by, you know, transforming into a tree. You can't just refluff it, a whole bunch of the mechanical abilities have to do with the fact that it uses lots of nature magic and transforms into a tree.

It would be like playing a Pyromancer Sorcerer and then going 'You know what, I'm refluffing this so I'm a cryomancer instead.'
>>
File: Tanarukk.jpg (70KB, 1200x737px) Image search: [Google]
Tanarukk.jpg
70KB, 1200x737px
Has anyone run any of these guys against a party?
>>
>>52148235
Minotaur who turns into a giant Bull monster. Cast longstrider after transforming and abuse your ability to attack after dashing.
>>
>>52148356
I am currently doing it in SKT. Fighter 1 / Shadow Monk 6. Got full plate, a shield, warhammer, and the Defense style.

It's breddy nice teleporting 30 feet over an enemy, floating down at them, and clobbering their skulls with advantage warhammer attacks to stun.
>>
>>52148334
You would be a better shield of the church as a lawful good fighter than that steaming pile of shit.
>>
Is there an Orcpub that actually works?
>>
>>52148387
>>'You know what, I'm refluffing this so I'm a cryomancer instead.'

You have to be retarded, that's generally considered a perfectly fine thing to do on Sorcerer's, unless it's AL. Refluff literally makes no mechanical difference in this case, it's saying I turn into a giant rock man instead of a giant wood man.
>>
>>52148387
>It would be like playing a Pyromancer Sorcerer and then going 'You know what, I'm refluffing this so I'm a cryomancer instead.'
I fail to see the problem here.
>change every instance of "Fire" in your features to "Cold"
>all the Fire spells that Sorcerers get are now Cold; Snowball, Chilling Bolt, Freezing Hands
There is absolutely no issue with this and IF ANY ONE OF YOU FUCKERS STARTS UP ABOUT "OH BUT FIRE IS A TERRIBLE DAMAGE TYPE AND IF YOU CHANGE IT TO COLD YOU'RE GIVING THE CLASS A HUGE BUFF" YOU ARE A FAGGOT AND CAN GO SHOVE YOUR SHITTY WRONG OPINIONS UP YOUR ASS AND TWIST 'EM
>>
>>52148454
That's not just refluffing though, that's actually changing the mechanics of the archetype to suit your needs.
>>52148449
On the other hand, transforming yourself into a giant rock man is one explanation. Although you'd still need to justify some parts of the spell list.
>>
>>52148488
>exchanging one utterly interchangeable and meaningless classical elemental damage type with another
heavens forfend, anon
>>
File: Monk_Craig-Elliott_PHB5e.jpg (32KB, 745x800px) Image search: [Google]
Monk_Craig-Elliott_PHB5e.jpg
32KB, 745x800px
>>52147843
>What's your favorite piece of art from fifth edition?
monkfu
>>
>>52148488
>Entangle
Loose rocks and gravel go flying everywhere and everyone's feet get caught under them.
>Conjure Animals
They're rock animals now.
>Giant Insect
It's a giant rock bug now.
>Inect Plague
Pebbles fly around and beat the shit out of everyone.

This shit ain't hard.
>>
>>52148536
>Conjure Animals
Why is it still a beast?
>Giant Insect
Why is it still a beast?
>>
>>52148488
Had a guy who wanted to play a Fire Cleric but he didn't like Light being all blasty. He preferred the melee style of Tempest instead. So we changed all his Thunder damage to Fire and all his features key off that. Worked great.
>>
>>52148566
Because you're animating it to act like one as a frame of reference.

It's a fantasy role-playing game, use your imagination.
>>
>>52148566
Who cares and it doesn't matter.
>>
>>52148566
Because "beast" is a classification type so you can't summon more powerful creatures, not a literal beast.
>>
>>52148566
Here's the kind of DM who's never managed to run a group through more than six pages of Curse of Strahd because the moment the party wants to do something the adventure doesn't lay out for them, he's completely at a loss on how to handle it. He's never put a creature in his games that wasn't in the MM, and their stats are always identical.
>>
>>52148407
that sounds pretty fun. way of the long death could be fun too. go a couple more levels of fighter for ek and you can be pretty hard to kill. 1 ki to survive death, tons of temp hp , 21 AC with fullplate+shield+defense style. cast shield against certain enemies, absorb elements against magic.
>>
File: stophereonred.png (368KB, 453x459px) Image search: [Google]
stophereonred.png
368KB, 453x459px
>>52148566
Your PCs fighting an awful lot of NPC Forest Gnome Rangers with Favored Enemy Beast who are trying to talk to or kill your Rock Ranger's summoned rocksquirrels in the middle of combat?
>>
>>52148605
Who are you kidding? he's no DM, he's a player and an abysmally bad one at that!
>>
>>52148628
Not >>52148605, but why is this bad and how to fix it? I feel like I'm doing the same thing.
>>
>>52148566
for balance reasons, they still accept the call to other natural forces trying to take control of them. they are, in of themselves, made of primal magic and thus said magic would inherently be able to interact with it.
>>
>>52148592
>>52148589
>>52148599
>>52148605
Except a creature made from stone would have resistances and immunities that a creature made of flesh and blood would lack.

I'm not against refluffing in cases where it makes sense, nor am I against changing the mechanics of a creature or a class and making something homebrew out of it. This has turned into an argument over semantics, where you're trying to refluff one thing as another with no mechanical changes when that makes very little logical sense.

If you want to change the mechanics, go ahead. Just admit that you're changing the mechanics and creating homebrew. The rules aren't sacred, so just admit that you're changing them instead of refluffing things to the point that they stop making sense.
>>
File: Gobbofaces.jpg (172KB, 1199x776px) Image search: [Google]
Gobbofaces.jpg
172KB, 1199x776px
How do you guys run goblins?
>>
>>52148654
Just improvise, think on your feet, not everything requires monsters to fight or a NPC to talk to. If they want to explore a place the book doesn't have anything for, say sure, and describe it using this wonderful thing called imagination. It doesn't have to have treasure or a dungeon or any monsters, it could just be a place where adventurers that have failed in the mission stopped before heading into Strahd's castle, and left graffiti behind, use your imagination, thats all.

If you are unable to do that, I feel bad for you and worse for your players.
>>
>>52147843
What are some cool/unexpected monster abilities like Remorhaz Heated Body for high and low CR monsters?
>>
>>52148677
It's magic, just say they're shitty rock creatures who aren't as good as other ones.

It's literally just flavor, relax.
>>
>>52148677
Isn't the point they're making that they're not changing mechanics and more just changing aesthetics.

At which point I don't think they care enough to fuck with resistances and shit it's just for the benefit of the scene and style.
>>
>>52148654
Because the MM was written by people with a shit concept for balance and if you follow its rules exactly you're just going to make laughably easy fights or ass-stompingly hard ones. There is no appreciation for the action economy or the various levels of power of certain abilities, resistances, and damage doled out by creatures of a given CR.

As for adventures, stuff like CoS is highly curated. The adventure makes a lot of assumptions that the party will do X or Y. To advance the plot you must be in this location with this item. It tries to predict a few situations (you might give this item to this other guy instead), but it can't possibly anticipate every bone-headed or legitimately brilliant move a party might make. If you as the DM can't adapt to this, everything either falls apart or you railroad the party back on track, which is both immersion-breaking, agency-ruining, and shit storytelling.

The key to D&D is I M P R O V
Improv everything that happens in even written modules, and improv the final stats of every creature in a fight. Obviously, if you know bandits are going to attack the party, have some fucking bandit stats written down on a sheet of paper before the game, but don't feel beholden to use any of the shit the MM throws your way. And if your party is making mincemeat of these fucking bandits, maybe they now have crossbows that nobody bothered to check for earlier and they're running away and taking pot shots. Or if they're completely slaughtering the party, maybe their HP is a few points lower than anyone realized, because the only one they killed earlier was massive overkill.

The point of the game is to tell a story, not set up a bunch of numerical traps in the way of the party and hope they can die roll their way to victory over them. You gotta be willing to fudge for the sake of the narrative, though mostly only in one direction (NOT slaughtering the party). If you need to make shit tougher, the solution is reinforcements.
>>
>>52148677
Changing fire to cold isn't that though, that was a stupid example but the only real change there would be a resistance to normal weapons, and low heat fire, woo such homebrew.
>>
>>52148677
Are you literally trying to powergame a monster by saying that it's made of stone so it automatically has those benefits?

There are literally dozens of MM and Volo examples that disproves your point.

>this has turned into an argument over semantics

The only one arguing semantics here is you.
>>
File: Capture.png (306KB, 398x323px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
306KB, 398x323px
>>52148742
Flail Snail (CR 3) has this.
>>
>>52148677
So it's a shitty collection of pebbles in a vaguely chipmunky shape. You can punch a pile of pebbles apart. It's not a fuckin' piece of solid granite.

Stop being wilfully dense.
>>
>>52148745
I cast Poison Spray on the rock animals and rock insect and watch the animated stone constructs succumb to poison, then.

If that's the sort of thing you're okay with in your games, then go ahead. Just saying, I know a few players who would be put off by that.
>>
>>52148742
Crag Cats turn spells back on the caster or some shit, and they're just fucking snow leopards.
>>
>>52148390
I had a Tanarukk lead a necromanced orc army from behind. It as cool
>>
>>52148734
Into mass graves.
>>
File: limestone.jpg (82KB, 750x623px) Image search: [Google]
limestone.jpg
82KB, 750x623px
>>52148812
Because the rocks are calcium carbonate and the poison began dissolving them, dipshit. Learn some geology and chemistry, fuckin' A.
>>
>>52148781
You might be right about how d&d requires improv and how curse of strahd isn't built with extraordinary player creativity in mind, but the rest of your post is bullshit.
>>
>>52148831
Rude
>>
>>52148677

"Hey DM, mind if I become a rock dude instead of a tree dude, and summon lil rock dudes instead of animals?"

"Sounds good, just keep in mind everything's the same crunch-wise."

"Fukkin sweet."
>>
>>52148812
It'd just be fluffed in thr same way as posioning the soil that disrupts the magic keeping them healthy.
>>
>>52148846
So you're roleplaying the Primeval Guardian of Limestone?

That's a bit of specific niche.
>>
File: fudgeman.jpg (39KB, 498x646px) Image search: [Google]
fudgeman.jpg
39KB, 498x646px
>>52148847
Fudge is love, fudge is life.
>>
>>52148741
>>52148781

I honestly feel like I improv a lot of the stuff in Strahd, unless it specifically says otherwise. I especially don't know in what direction to modify some monster's stats, if at all 'cause it seems fair. Other than that I've just been going by the book.

I just hope I'm not shitting my fucking pants as a DM.
>>
>>52148867
nah underdark, baby! lots of limestone there!
>>52148876
Are your players having fun?
>>
>>52148858
Just saying, sometimes that doesn't always make sense.
>>
>>52148867
Bro, roughly 8% of the surface is made of limestone. That's more coverage than "fucking trees".

SEDIMENTARY STONES MATTER
>>
>>52148734
Anti-Gnomes

Curious and Inventive to the extreme, but without the innate gifts of knowledge. They enjoy taking things apart, but aren't smart enough to put them back together.
>>
>>52148894
>Sense needed for D&D in any edition
Are you new?
>>
>>52148742
When is Wizards going to write up the stats for a Dhole?
>>
>>52148926
Not always needed but sometimes wanted.
>>
>>52148887

Absolutely! They've been making really "strange" (dumb) decisions regarding alot of the plot stuff, but they genuinely have a fun time playing the campaign. They do seem to balk and avoid the horror elements though.
>>
>>52148867
You must be stupid because that's the single best character I've ever heard.
>>
File: Angrygobbo.jpg (102KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
Angrygobbo.jpg
102KB, 1200x776px
>>52148906
I like it. Have a drunk angry gobbo
>>
>>52148965
Normally I hate Goblin art but I love that picture. Maybe I'll play a Goblin Ranger next.
>>
>>52148942
>dhole
that wild asian dog or is it a fox?
>>52148952
then you're good, but now you have to train them to be smart, but not necessarily to follow rails, or just run with how they like things, stupid can be fun, although only in moderation.
>>
File: Gobbo.jpg (119KB, 1199x776px) Image search: [Google]
Gobbo.jpg
119KB, 1199x776px
>>52148988
Do it man. Goblins are weird.
>>
>>52148993
Neither, Dhole:
https://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Dhole
>>
>>52148887
>underdark
>limestone
The Underdark doesn't make any sense and it can't be a limestone cavern or the whole fucking mess woulda dissolved by now. The fact that the whole place hasn't flooded is fucking God fiat because it's below the water table and actually goes under the ocean in places. Any hole that it ever sprung would eventually fill the whole mess. It gets even worse when you consider that Drow have been down there since a time when most of northern Faerun was covered by snow and ice, and glaciation pressure would have driven the water straight into those caves and drowned everyone and everything for good.
>>
>>52149015
Purple Worm
>>
>>52149006
Got any more with those black eyes? Something about that makes me love them.
>>
File: 1489342059592.png (207KB, 537x425px) Image search: [Google]
1489342059592.png
207KB, 537x425px
Where is pic related from?
The D&D Beyond beta?
>>
File: Goblinoids.jpg (109KB, 776x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Goblinoids.jpg
109KB, 776x1200px
>>52149033
I think this is all I got
>>
>>52149037
Yes.
>>
Would there even be any balance issues if you let Sorcerer cast Wizard spells?

Still no rituals though.
>>
>>52149024
I never stated it was only limestone, just that I'm sure there are a lot of limestone caverns down there, and sense is not needed where magic exists, in D&D magic does exist.
>>
>>52149060
Not enough to make up for the Sorcerer sucking shit compared to Wizard in realms other than spell selection.
>>
File: 1470845326241.jpg (99KB, 976x819px) Image search: [Google]
1470845326241.jpg
99KB, 976x819px
>>52148734
Goblins, gnomes, and kobolds in my setting are all rolled into one race based on pic related. Small creatures that like living in dark burrows and can sniff out metals, which they need a lot of in their diet. They're adept at stealing things, especially ideas, and their few claims to fame are inventions that they pioneered and others refined. While they normally have an outlook of caution as they need to make clever use of their resources to survive, that often goes out the window when a lick of an idea that could propel one to power arises. They use a lot of salvaged patchwork metal, tech, and magic, and mostly live as raiders and pests, though recently an expansive human empire has officially embraced its kobold inhabitants for their efforts in its wars, and built them their first city, which is in a constant state of destruction, rebuilding, and modification.
>>
>>52149024
The Underdark is fine as a magic place due to either Torog or simply elemental weirdness, but honestly I find the idea of a non-connected underground realm more compelling, so that each dungeon or cavern network is basically its own thing.
>>
>>52148993
I don't even really let them. Shit's scary and they complain about how "everything can kill us". Like no shit it's fucking Ravenloft.

One of my players thought the Sunsword would be in Strahd's castle on their introductory visit to the castle, and questioned me as to why the visit basically felt like a waste of time. They were invited at 5th level both for plot and that Strahd is just toying with them as "honorary guests". Point is, Castle Ravenloft isn't a fucking treasure house and you aren't supposed to kill him yet.
>>
Campaign I'm running just took a small turn into the underdark. Any fun stuff to do while down there besides get your mind eaten?
>>
Does anyone have experience playing a battlerager barbarian? I was considering playing one but the abilities feel so underwhelming. 3 damage reflected from attacks and when grappling others at higher levels sounds so insignificant
>>
>>52149112
Almost everything down there wants to kill you; such as Duergar, Drow, and all the monsters. But with some bribery you could station in their towns and hunt for all the cool magic items you can find down there.
>>
File: dwarvenminer.jpg (28KB, 382x308px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvenminer.jpg
28KB, 382x308px
>>52149079
Look, kid, even magic makes sense when you get down to the nitty gritty of it all. There's rules and some bitch goddess looking over all of it, making sure it runs well. Wizards might do some absolutely crazy shit with it, but it's all quantifiable by design.

Underdark's just got a bunch of fucking Elf Gods propping it up and that's all there is to it. You wanna know some real fucked up shit about the Underdark? Let me tell you about how there are Drow all over the Underdark of OUR planet's extradimensional twin, Abeir, despite Drow not being created HERE, on Toril, by Elf Gods that don't exist on Abeir, AFTER the planets split.

Fuck the whole thing. We need to collapse it and sort that mess out later.
>>
>>52149123
Ask your DM if you can add Strength modifier or Rage damage to the Grapple. Also see if he'll let you get spiked Half-Plate.
>>
>>52149112
Pray someone has Darkvision out to 120ft and hope you see the Drow before they see you.
>>
File: 1485846822048.jpg (368KB, 1745x953px) Image search: [Google]
1485846822048.jpg
368KB, 1745x953px
Never played a game before, but I want to try and be prepared if I ever work up the nerve to seek a game out.

It makes sense to roll a character at level 1, but I hear it's popular to start games at level 3.

How do I work with this?
>>
>>52149168
Either do both your level 1 and level 3 sheets for the same character, or just make a level 1 sheet and scale it up depending on what your dm says.
>>
>>52149168
Roll a character as in rolling stats? The DM would probably like to be present when you roll those numbers so there is no use in doing it before you find a game.
>>
>>52149111
Are they new? it will take time, and probably you killing a few of them, in a very fair way, I might add, and having them reroll to understand and get used to the lethality of D&D, you seem to be doing fine, they're having fun and you're freaking out over most likely untrue shit on /tg/ the most autistic board on 4chan, save for /pol/, relax and keep on the way you think is right.
>>52149141
Dude I legitimately do not care, I don't need the Underdark to make sense, I need it to be scary and making no sense makes it scarier.
>>
>>52149216
Ain't gonna be so scary when we pump the faerzress out and start teleporting Dwarven Rune Nukes down there. Why don't you psionic blast or eye beam THAT shit, you aberrant fuckstain?
>>
>>52149210
I've always interpreted "rolling" to mean "the generation of a new character", separate from specifically rolling for stats.
>>
File: 1429469928695.jpg (69KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1429469928695.jpg
69KB, 250x251px
>>52149216
Thanks man. At the end of the day I guess it really is about if they're having fun or not. I suppose this board is more for people who play D&D alot?

On a side note no one has died in the campaign yet, which is a fucking miracle considering how many stupid decisions fly. They have at least a smidgin of game sense enough to not die.
>>
>>52149137
>>52149112
Yeah, I've got them playing relatively close to the surface, but still the underdark.

Thinking of giving them the option to complete their quest and turn back, or at the promise of a magic item, perhaps try and defeat a powerful enemy.
>>
>>52149123
Don't underestimate grappling.
Battlerager/rogue with atheletics prof.

Step 1: rage
Step 2: Push them down
Step 3: Grapple

They can't get up and your team can just murderfuck them.
>>
>>52149240
Yeah good luck with pumping a kind of radiation out of a place, even the Drow have not made a spell for that and Dwarves are not known for their Creativity in the Magical Arts, aside from enchanting.
>>52149263
No, it's mostly for whiny autistic bitches who don't have games to play or friends to play with, yes I'm serious, but only half serious. Also D&D is not the only TTRPG out there, it's just the most popular and easiest to use, out of those with any normal level of complexity.
>>
>>52149081
I've come to terms with that. ;-;
>>
>>52149305
>Dwarves are not known for their Creativity in the Magical Arts
Nigger, we teleported half our race AND our Gods here from another fucking solar system. We figured out how to multiply SOULS! Say one more goddamn word about Dwarves being bad at magic and I'm gonna cork you with a hizagkuur buttplug.
>>
>>52149037
Specifically the youtube trailer of it found on its website. Nobody has proper beta access yet
>>
>>52149123
>3 damage reflected from attacks and when grappling others at higher levels sounds so insignificant

Its one of the few sort of counterattack abilities that doesn't require a reaction, likewise their bonus action attack is one that doesn't require fatigue.
>>
>>52149305
>No, it's mostly for whiny autistic bitches who don't have games to play or friends to play with

This is so painfully true.
Lots of the people you find theorycrafting or complaining about OP builds and shit never touch pen to paper.
>>
>>52149353
How could you possibly know if that's true?
>>
>>52149337
None of that magic is remembered and you don't even remember the history involved, you are no dwarf, fool. *Casts Imprisonment*
>>
>>52149060
You lose some flavor points and make it easier to build a bad sorcerer. *shrug*
>>
>>52149373
I just do. Search your heart. You know it to be true as well.
>>
>>52149373
We don't, but let me put it this way, if you actually played or had real friends to play with, why would you be here for any longer than it takes to get a question answered?
>>
>>52149353
Ironically enough in a game you usually play with friends, you can have no friends or games
>>
>>52149373
Not him, but that shit's easy. Just look at any build discussion.
>talks about doing X damage or having X AC at a level where they'd need 5 ASIs to juggle all the stat requirements and feats they're talking about
>OH BUT WE'RE ROLLING FOR STATS AND I CAN GUARANTEE SEVERAL 18S OR SOME SHIT
>building to level 20 when no one has ever started at 1 and played past 9 in the history of forever
These fuckers just don't know how an actual table game works.
>>
>>52149397
Because my friends don't sleep at 5 am I guess.
>>
what's so great about grapple rogues? Just the athletics expertise thing?
>>
>>52149400
That last quote of yours is bullshit, but otherwise you're good.
>>52149417
Some of us do have friends to play with anon, it's just that not even half of us do.
>>
>>52149400
Yeah, if anything the biggest tip I can give to anyone looking to make a "build" to use in actual play is to pay attention to when it "comes online."

If you need 20 levels to achieve what you want to do, you might as well throw it in the fucking garbage.
>>
>>52149400
Back when I played 3.5 I saw people doing this kind of thing all the time and I wondered if they ever actually played or what.
It seemed like the only people left playing 3.5 at that point were people trying to break the game as hard as possible.
>>
>>52149428
Yes. It's unnecessary and dumb.
>attack yourself
>make it a shove
>autofail your check against yourself
>shove yourself five feet away from the guy grappling you
>force movement breaks the grapple
>stand up and walk off without even having to disengage
easy peasy lemon squeezey
>>
>>52149456
You can't be serious.
>>
>>52149451
If you ever catch anyone talking about class balance using features that come later that level 10, they can be ignored (see: Fighters having three attacks. Ha ha, no, they don't).
If you ever see a build whose combined levels are greater than 10, they can be ignored, too.
>>
>>52149456
>shove yourself

loving every laugh
>>
>>52149456
This is so fucking retarded.
>>
>>52149456

simply allowing people to shove themselves sounds pretty stupid.

>unnecessary and dumb

Well I mean if you want to be a grapple guy, I don't see the problem.
>>
>>52149473
>>52149480
>>52149481
Nothing in RAW says you can't. "Self or creature" is gone, man. Anything that targets a creature can target you.
Welcome to a brave new world.
>run and high jump
>cup your balls and shove yourself twice to gain an extra 10 feet of air
>>
File: 093.jpg (61KB, 650x842px) Image search: [Google]
093.jpg
61KB, 650x842px
>>52149450
Don't worry my guy we'll find those friends soon. (if they're ones worth having)
>>
>>52149508
Nothing in RAW says you can, either.
>>
>>52149479
Yeah, the game's balance completely breaks down by level 10 anyway. So if a campaign is going that long the DM should know the players well enough, their play styles, and the players themselves probably don't actually want to break the game because they're having fun long enough for the game to hit higher levels.

My players are almost at level 10.
We'll probably at least hit level 15 before some of us have to move away.
I've been slowly moving us away from grid based combat into theater of the mind so we can better enjoy the story and focus less on mechanics. Everyone loves it. It's a good feel.
>>
>>52149508
No DM will ever let this fly even if it is RAW. Maybe you could sneak it in once for laughs but that's it.
>>
>>52149518
Nothing in RAW says you can cast Burning Hands on an otyugh but everyone does.
>>
>>52149508
TIL that double jumping is RAW in 5e
>>
>>52149508
>Hey DM, nothing in RAW says I can't shoot a nuclear explosion out of my hand at will that will miss everyone but my allies
>>
>>52149515
I've got family who wants to play, but the person who wants to host is too fucking lazy to set up a time, and let everyone inolved know. That and one of the people who wants to play is in rehab.
>>
>>52149541
>RAW says you can target a creature and shove it
>every other effect, including spells, that targets a creature can target yourself if you want
So what's the problem, fuccboi?
>>
>>52149456
Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you.
If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.
The target of your shove must be no more than one size larger than you, and it must be within your reach.
You make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use).
If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.

Tell me how you push yourself 5 feet away from yourself.
>>
>>52149303
This sounds surprisingly fun. I had a great time with a battlerager in 4e. A duergar battlerager/assassin could work quite nicely.
>>
>>52149570
See >>52149574
>>
So if a Wood Elf can hide while lightly obscured does that include complete darkness against creatures with Darkvision because they treat it as Dim light?
>>
>>52149574
You ever heard the phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps"?
>>
>>52149592
Yep! :)
>>
>>52149596
Unfortunately, there's no "pull" option, just pushing.
>>
>>52149591
Why would you two point out rules that say you can do this and pretend like they mean you can't? Is this some hot new meme I didn't catch from a previous thread?
>>
>>52149596
Yes, but in that case you're pulling yourself upwards.
The rule for shoving says 5 feet away from yourself.
There's no way to determine which direction that can be because it has to be away from you. That could be up,down,left,right,etc.
So you don't go anywhere.
>>
>>52149574
>push self away from self
>allies and enemies alike are sprayed with viscera as all matter that once composed Mario the Fighter are expelled 5 feet away from his center of mass
>>
>>52149610
Nothing about that says that you can do it. You have to houserule what pushing yourself away from yourself would mean -- presumably, ripping yourself in two.
>>
>>52149575
Duergar don't get enough love. They have a shitload of resistances, Enlarge is great on any melee character and invisibility is a good panic button.

>>52149603
Fucking rad. Was going to play a Goblin Deepstalker but now I might go for a Wood Elf Rogue/Ranger.
>>
>>52149609
Pulling is just pushing from the opposite end. It's a matter of your frame of reference. You're pushing up the upper interiour surface of your bootstrap.
>>
>>52149631
Healing is just the opposite of doing damage.
So why the fuck can't I heal with my greataxe, DM?
>>
File: buber.jpg (89KB, 669x899px) Image search: [Google]
buber.jpg
89KB, 669x899px
>>52149615
what is the self anyway, maaaaaaaaan
>>
>>52149456
Your DM would need to be a complete doormat to let you get away with this.
>>
>>52149615
>>52149649

>Mario the fighter discovers a way to cast astral projection without being a monk or using spell slots
>>
>>52149646
No it isn't?

Even in terms of pure mechanics, healing and damage have significantly different rules, only sharing the similarity of effecting HP and numbers.
>>
If I cast Find Familiar and never dismiss it permanently, only keep it in the extradimensional space, does that mean I can only cast it once?
If so, that's a pretty cool oversight. If not, eh, whatever.
>>
>>52149663
When you heal you're just pulling up the HP, when you damage you're pushing it down.

I just want to pull up that HP with my greataxe. What the fuck man. Think of it like me pushing it from the other side.
>>
>>52149646
But you can. Did you forget your greataxe is made of energy from the positive plane?
>>
>>52149670
That's the idea.
Not so much an oversight so much as just letting you not have to spend the gold requirement unless you let it die.
>>
>>52149679
Nice strawman you got there. Why are you so mad that you can shove yourself?
>>
>>52149663
>undead are the opposite of life because apparently dead don't exist
>healing damages undead
>healing has the opposite effect and restores the living
>you are living
>damage damages undead
>ergo damage must have the opposite effect and restores the living
QED
>>
>>52149683
Fuuuuuuck. Thanks, DM.
>>
>>52149689
Alright, I can dig that, then.
Also, as a Wizard do I have to always prepare a ritual spell for the day?
>>
>>52149702
It's probably because he's playing a Wizard and can't take advantage of sweet multi-shoves like all the Fighters and Monks out there. He's jealous that they can get to those high platforms without his fucking Levitate or Rope Trick spells. His usefulness to the party is evaporating and he feels threatened, even though he can still paralyze entire groups of enemies or blow up 30 goblins at once.
>>
>>52149702
>strawman

fucking lel. We're just making fun of you.
Go ahead and answer how you're gonna push yourself away from yourself. You haven't.

Depending on the campaign though, I might allow this >>52149660
>>
>>52149714
You don't have to prepare your rituals if you just wanna cast them as rituals. It's pretty rad.
>>
>>52149727
Sweet, thanks.
>>
>>52149719
I am a muscle wizard. I just want to heal with my axe.
>>
>>52149720
Stand up. Put your hand on the side of your head. Shove as hard as you can. No, faggot, shove harder. Stop being a little girl and trying to keep your balance, just fucking shove your head all the way fucking over. Follow the fuck through.
>>
>>52149720
>he thinks he's making fun of someone else
Ho ho ho he heee.
>>
>>52149746
NO MATTER HOW HARD I PUSH I CANT GET AWAY FROM MYSELF FUCK

I'M TRYING MY HARDEST DAD
>>
>>52149624
Mechanically, duergar are almost always amazing, regardless of edition. Enlarge and Inviz are coincidentally perfect for a battlerager/assassin, but also because it frees mage allies from having to concentrate.

Flavorwise, although they're obviously analogous to drow, they strike me as more of an amplification of the concept of a dwarf whereas a drow is more like a refugee from Barsoom with pointy ears.

From a DM's perspective, I like emphasizing duergar rather than normal dwarves, as the elf/dwarf hate people like doesn't feel very real to me normally, but duergar vs elves seems a very natural point of contention.
>>
>>52149758
You're not trying to get away from yourself, idiot! If you did that, you wouldn't be able to shove yourself anymore!

You're trying to get away from WHERE YOU WERE.
>>
>>52149746
You got us, there are no rules in place stopping you from shoving yourself prone.
>>
>>52149719
You hit the BOOKS HARD, while MARTIALS jump HIGH

Ledges look at your ARCANE body and think "ewww what a try hard" while they look at the MARTIALS and think "I love him, he just does what he wants, not even concerned about the whole gravity thing".

Ledges are getting higher and higher and its either MARTIAL or NOTHING

Why haven't you wizards learnt yet?
>>
>>52149767
But the rule says 5 feet away from yourself
>>52149769
That's true. I can knock myself down. But why waste the action when I can just drop prone?
>>
File: 1406315180958.jpg (13KB, 182x171px) Image search: [Google]
1406315180958.jpg
13KB, 182x171px
>>52149508
>This is the same Anon that bitches that his DM is just such a nazi
>>
>>52149778
Away from yourself at the time of the shove. If you couldn't shove yourself five feet off, you'd never be able to walk anywhere, either.
>>
>>52149784
More realistically this is the anon that doesn't have a DM because he doesn't actually play the game.
>>
>>52149784
>complains about Nazis
>posts quasi-German Worst Girl
Just admit that you've lost the argument already and self-shove double jumps are canon.
>>
>>52149794
No in that case I'm pushing myself away from the ground to walk.
If you want to push yourself away from the spot you were you can push the ground I guess but it's not a creature so we'll probably just resolve that as you making a str check to break the grapple as normal.
>>
>>52149802
>>52149795
you mean all of us?
>>
>yfw Mystic comes out today and Psychic Warriors are legitimately jumping three times
>>
>>52149802
Did not mean to quote you here.>>52149818
>>
>>52149818
I guess that's true, I don't have a DM.
I'm a foreverDM. :(
>>
>>52149808
You can't push yourself away from the ground, because as you said, it's not a creature that you can target. Walking is always movement aimed at the self, and shoves can be aimed at the self as well. You fuckers have been doing this for the entirety of 5E and you're just now realizing it?
>>
>>52149526
>Yeah, the game's balance completely breaks down by level 10 anyway.

Care to explain?
>>
>>52149836
Me too, if I can ever get everybody together.
>>
>>52149840
Walking rules are covered in movement. That's how we'd normally resolve shoving away from the ground. And when you're grappled your movement is 0.

>and shoves can be aimed at the self as well
We already established this. But we haven't resolved how to push yourself 5 feet away from yourself. I keep hearing push yourself 5 feet away from where you were but that's not what the rule says.
>>
So I'm trying to introduce my friend to D&D. He knows barely anything at all about it but wants to play the game with the rest of the group.

He said he wants to play a character "Like Grey from Fairy Tail (that anime)", so basically a Cryomancer.

Is that thematically feasible enough? Ice spells always felt severely underrepresented to me. What class would be best suited for him and which additional books would provide valuable options?
>>
>>52149765
Duergar are hard to roleplay in my experience. It's like every stereotypical dwarf joke amplified to 11 is their culture. Just a constant state of mildly grumpy.

I played a Berserker one when they first got rules in 5e and was having trouble finding something to latch onto as a character. Eventually we came across a Nothic that was reading my thoughts, I suddenly remembered how much Duergar hate Illithids. From then on whenever anyone tried to use psionics or any mind magic on me I instantly used a Frenzy. The party recognised my hatred of it and me and the Enchanter had some good character moments.

I also prefer to play the ones without the "Grim work all day" aspect. A runaway who didn't fancy working nonstop until he died. They've always been my favorite race though.
>>
>>52149866
Duergar aren't just mildly grumpy, they are eternally joyless. They have had all laughter and mirth sucked from their lives. They were enslaved for centuries by the shittiest things imaginable and had to FUCK DEVILS to gain the power to fight back.
THEIR BEARDS ARE FUCKING POISON PORCUPINE QUILLS!

Duergar don't give a shit about anyone or anything but themselves, because life is utterly meaningless. All that can be done is to make sure your own life sucks as little as possible before your inevitable death and the cold embrace of the void.
>>
>>52149824
>Unearthed Arcana: Movement Options Revised
>>
>>52149846
I just mean that around that time IF you want you can do some really dumb stuff. Notice how official content rarely goes much further than level 10 if at all? iirc I think storm kings gets you around level 13 if you do everything. I might be wrong there though.

This is why it's up to the DM to balance things and make adjustments based on the players and their styles. I don't mean blatantly nerf abilities or anything like that though. More just build adventures that would be fun to the party.
>>
>>52149883
I'm so upset they don't get mechanical spike beards this edition. Also I never really saw how they escaped enslavement, might give that a look.
>>
>>52149865
EEPC has bonus elemental spells, including ice. Refluff other things where possible, like Slow being a chilling stifling frost or Hold Person being solid freeze.
>>
>>52149896
Devil pacts, interbreeding with devils for demonic blood (hence the inborn magic and poison shit) so they had the power to at least survive, and then they also developed psionic powers of their own. Glorious slave uprising, buncha dead squidfuckers, then grumpy Dwarves wondering what to do next.
>>
>>52149456
>stand up and walk off without even having to disengage
And all it took was your action plus half your movement. Much more efficient than just disengaging.
>>
>>52149927
You're forgetting that this was a guy who was grappled and knocked down first. You don't just get out of that by saying "I disengage". it IS as easy as saying "I shove myself" though
>>
Okay guys, I'm making a multiclassed Rogue/Monk, looking to make a jumping build. Here's my current plan:

Rogue 3: Add dex mod to jumps
Monk 5: Two attacks, flurry of blows

So my jump looks like this with 20 strength and dex:

Long Jump: 20 feet+5 from Rogue. Shove self twice with Extra Attack, gives an extra 10 feet. Then I use flurry of blows and punch myself twice, shoving me 15 or 30 extra feet (not sure if you can apply flurry of blows effects to a creature more than once).
In the end, my long jump is either 50 or 65 feet, depending on the ruling on flurry of blows

My high jump is similarly good. 13 feet normally, then I shove myself twice, then flurry of blows.
Either 38 or 53 feet straight into the air;

Thoughts?
>>
>>52149924
That's pretty fucking metal. It's weird I never see them get played anywhere, they're awesome and once you find ways around Sunlight Sensitivity they're awesome mechanically.

Maybe I'll play a Duergar Ranger next.
>>
Anyone know of anywhere else I can join games online beyond on Roll20?
>>
>>52149967
Wouldn't your punches potentially damage yourself? Not sure if the extra 15 feet are worth the risk of accidentally punching your own scrotum.
>>
>>52149967
>not taking magic initiate variant human and picking up the spell jump.
>not having the battle master in your party shoot you with a blowgun while using his pushing attack for each hit

Throw your build in the fucking garbage.
>>
So what does a Climb Speed actually do mechanically? Does it mean I can just scale anything without a check?
>>
Honestly every time I've looked on roll20 I've almost died from the cringe.

Almost every application is
>i've never played before but I watch crit roll and really want to try
>here's my super edgelord drow character and a 2 page backstory complete with towns I made up for you to be sure to include in your homebrew setting, DM

I honestly can't see how anything great ever comes out of roll20 with randos. Anyone have good experiences there?
>>
>>52149895
>Notice how official content rarely goes much further than level 10 if at all?
PotA, OotA, and HotDQ+RoT are all 1-15 adventures, and going by the preview, running all of the Tales adventures in sequence is going to be at least 1-15 or something like that, too.
>>52150016
>So what does a Climb Speed actually do mechanically? Does it mean I can just scale anything without a check?
It means when you're climbing you move at that speed. RAW there aren't any checks for climbing; climbing is treated like moving through difficult terrain.
>>
>>52150016
I think it means that, if you succeed your climb check, you move at the climbing speed stated, rather than a reduced general movement speed you have.
>>
>>52150032
>>52150034
So does that mean the Athlete feat effectively gives you a climb speed?
>>
How do you make the act of the party preparing dinner together a fun, engaging and interactive part of your session?
>>
>>52150031
>i've never played before but I watch crit roll and really want to try
Aww, come on anon. Everyone has to start somewhere.
>>
>>52150016
Yeah, climbing usually takes double your movement.
So climbing 5 feet would take 10.
If you have a climb speed of 30, you can move 30 feet no problem.

A character with 30 movement speed could only go 15 without dashing.

A DM can always call for a climb check even if a character has a climb speed if they want. Say it's a really difficult wall to scale. Say it's crumbling footholds. That sort of thing.

But in general, because I like my players to be competent and not falling prone every second, I don't ask for a check if it's something they would be able to climb within reason. Heroic PCs are fun.
>>
>>52150058
This wasn't really so much a criticism so much as just a really common theme.
>>
File: 1409631203750.jpg (107KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1409631203750.jpg
107KB, 533x800px
>>52147843
I love this one
>>
>>52150073
Alright sweet. That makes sense.
>>
>>52150032
>PotA, OotA, and HotDQ+RoT are all 1-15 adventures, and going by the preview, running all of the Tales adventures in sequence is going to be at least 1-15 or something like that, too.

Well fuck me, I had my information wrong.
That's fine. I still stand by level 10 being right about the time things start breaking down balance wise. This of course is based only on anecdotal evidence and the kinds of magic players have access to. Not that I mind it at all though.

Balance is overrated. The best stories have unbalanced heroes and villains.
>>
I hope the UA is Lore Master revisited. It needs a bit of a buff before I'll even let players choose it.
>>
>>52150171
>hoping that the UA is a revision of another UA released only a few weeks ago
Why would you even hope for this? UAs have many months between revisions if they have any public rereleases at all. You're like a child hoping that they have a t-rex or some shit when you're going to the shelter to adopt a dog.
>>
>>52150188
I don't know if you had a long day or what, but that's quite clearly a joke. Also what the hell's wrong with wanting a t-rex?
>>
>>52150200
Long day indeed. Also poor reading comprehension and seeing people elsewhere saying they want revisions of just-released UA content. My bad.
>>
>>52150208
Yeah, honestly I hoping for Mystic but I'm happy with anything they release. I mean it's free stuff, can't complain.
>>
>>52149883
Those're 4e duergar, but point taken.
>>
>>52148324
i love you in a gay way
>>
>>52150219
I'm just hoping it's something that can actually be used, like non-shit feats or some more class options.
>>
>>52150249
I'd like feats and races mostly. Especially some new races, feels like the only edition with no new content yet. Spells and class options are also good.

My wet dream's Spelljamming rules though.
>>
>>52148340
holy fucking shit I just realized how much Charizard looks like a tall kobold. You could just make a dragon sorcerer kobold with a feat or two and make a short charizard
>>
Unearthly Recovery
At 18th level, you gain the ability to overcome
grievous injuries. As a bonus action when you
have less than half of your hit points remaining,
you can regain a number of hit points equal to
half your hit point maximum.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again
until you finish a long rest.

>so close to being good
>>
File: you die now.jpg (34KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
you die now.jpg
34KB, 313x382px
AL content DDAL05-12 and 13 and ELMW1-2 and 3 have been added to the Mega.
>>
I wonder if anyone here can make a Drow Ranger that would be in no way similar to Drizzt? Kinda curious if it can be done.
>>
>>52150285
Uh, what does that mean?
>>
>>52150275
Spelljammer really doesn't need much, the ship battle rules were not that great; heavier weaponry penetrates armor worse and fires more slowly, what's the point? Plus we already have rules for cannons, ballistae and catapults, and its better to target the crew anyway.

It seems almost always the superior choice to board an enemy vessel, since most crew is comprised of level 0 porcelain -- while spelljamming helms are 100k or 500k, meaning the PCs are probably going to be very badass anyway.

The flaw in my analysis is that mind flayer, neogi, and beholder ships are the opposite, of course -- if they board your ship, you are almost guaranteed to die.

Deck plans and SJ monsters are probably the most important part.
>>
>>52150305
New Adventurers League shit in the Mega.

Also thanks to the friendly anon who shared it for cleaning.
>>
>>52150317
Hopefully they're quick to make something like that. I have no doubt we'll see the rules before 5e dies, I pray it's quickly though.
>>
>>52150299
A good aligned one, you mean?

There's an entire priesthood (mostly female) of good aligned surface drow and on the plane of Ysgard, there is a planar layer (indefinitely large of course) called Svartheim which has vast amounts of Chaotic Neutral/Good drow. Drizz't was not even remotely the first good drow.

If you just mean any drow period, then just make him a Kinslayer or mean bounty hunter that shoots people all day, or sics his pet spider on people.
>>
File: Grinch.png (280KB, 343x432px) Image search: [Google]
Grinch.png
280KB, 343x432px
>Lore Mastery Wizard
>>
can anyone tell me about druids in 5e
just casually don't have to spend time on it
thanks
>>
>>52150299
The only thing criminal about Drizz't wasn't even Salvatore's fault, but that dual wielding became "the ranger thing" in 2e's garbage iteration of the ranger class.
>>
>>52150395
be moon druid
become dire wolf at level 2
become elemental at level 10
get full HP each time
be good tank, then you still have your daily spells.
>>
>>52150395
They're like Druids in real life; nature loving hippied who commune with nature and offer unsolicited spiritual and environmental advice

The only real difference is that D&D Druids can turn into a tiger
>>
File: IMG_0516.jpg (201KB, 567x567px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0516.jpg
201KB, 567x567px
>>52150392
it's exactly what I've been waiting for
>>
>>52150395
Land gets more spells, Moon turns into a bear and fucks people up. Moon is considered stronger due to how wildshape works and the fact that Land's spells are highly situational.

There's also UA material, but that's basically playtest stuff which is possible to use, but sometimes poorly balanced (loremaster wizard) and not tuned for multiclassing (twilight druid going nuclear when MCed with wizard)
>>
>>52149112
Meet some myconoids, have them bro up to kill some drow
>>
>>52150395
>>52150414
Druid as a nature loving hippie is a stereotype but it is wrong.

They are trying to find a balance between nature and society. Think Pokemon world type of utopia with super technology that didn't sacrifice nature.
>>
The end is nigh... What will today UA be?
>>
>>52150463
The Mystic art of potion making
>>
>>52149053
>>52149006
>>52148965
>>52148734
These are great
>>
How do I Kobold? I assume I want a familiar somehow and as many attacks as possible?
>>
>>52150479
You could do worse than a Chainlock/Dragon Sorcerer. Free imp scout (it can turn into an invisible spooder on the ceiling) that you can resummon with a short rest at 3, pew pew.
>>
Do mounts summoned with Find Steed come with a saddle and bags?
>>
>>52150645
I don't see why it would.
>>
>>52150676
Because its called "Find Steed"
>>
>>52150728
>Steed
>a horse being ridden or available for riding.

No mention of saddlebags
>>
>>52150467

I'd actually appreciate something like that.
>>
>>52148454
>>52148508
Well, yes, I understand your butthurt, I know a lot of people who aren't able to comprehend that one thing is actually entirely different from another thing.
I once met a young man who, after getting beaten with a baseball hat to the head, thought that literally everyone was his mother.
I'm sorry to hear that something like that once happened to you, anon.
>>
>can transmute something
>but only from this list of things into others in this list
>and it takes ten minutes
What do you use the transmutation school's level 2 ability for/how would you change it?
>>
>>52150414
Druids in real life were celtic star worshiping priests you dingus.

The ones who had shape-shifting shamans were the slavs.
The shaman would stab an oak tree with a sword and then do a backflip to transform into a wolf.
So even they don't get the tree-hugger archetype.
>>
File: This Is How I Rogue Trader.jpg (6KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
This Is How I Rogue Trader.jpg
6KB, 284x177px
>>52149508
>cup your balls and shove yourself twice to gain an extra 10 feet of air

This is how I, the great Baron von Munchausen, vaulted the Cobalt Giant to rescue the Princess and finally win that bet with the dastardly Lettuce King!
>>
Would letting Tabaxi and Lizardfolk use Dexterity with their natural attacks have any unforeseen complications? Only thing I can see happening is Sneak Attack and that's not an issue at all.
>>
My group already has a knight fighter, a sharpshooter fighter, a rogue, a bard, and a wizard. What should I be? I was thinking dawnforgedcast's Alchemist but idk which archetype would be best. Also yeah i know it's a big group.
>>
>>52151001
I kinda feel like another front line guy would be good. I mean everyone except the Knight will be keeping away most of the time so maybe a high damage melee class. Barbarian or Paladin perhaps? Could also go for the Artificer Alchemist, at will thunderstone's pretty awesome.
>>
>>52151001
>dawnforgedcast's

fuck that cunt
>>
>>52151020
What'd he do? I just think the class is neat.
>>
>>52151019
I was thinking that but there's a chance another guy is gonna join and he wants to play barb.
>>
>>52151032
Well there's a lack of Wisdom in the group as well. Forge Cleric for buffing, Tempest Cleric for awesome lightning storms or a Druid for druiding could all be good. Though just play what you want, most bases seem covered but if you play something with healing it'd be good.
>>
>>52150987
It's a buff to an already solid races. Sneak attack doesn't trigger because their natural weapons don't have the finesse property
>>
>>52151001
Cleric

You need a healer
>>
>>52150987
Tabaxi would be fine and make sense I suppose, Lizardfolk, I can't see much justification.
>>
Friendly reminder: 13 march is the day we will be disappointed once more.
>>
>>52149037
Holy shit that looks great. I want it for managing my character.
>>
The PHB and DMG in the mega don't seem to, um, work?
>>
>>52149705
>undead are the opposite of life because apparently dead don't exist

It's a horseshoe held vertically. Being alive is at one tip, being undead is at the other. Being dead is at the bottom in the middle, the ground state.
>>
So where does a Ranger's damage come from? I was thinking about a Deepstalker but it seems, well pretty shit if I go Melee.

I get 2 1d8+DEX+2 Attacks and a third on the first round of combat. Plus a 1d6 bonus on most attacks.

That's it though? Like I never get anything better then that as far as I see, while fighters can action surge, rogues get more sneak attack and paladins smite shit. Seems like a bad idea to go anything but Ranged Hunter or a Beastmaster.
>>
>>52151054
> Needing a healer in 5e
Your system knowledge is weak
>>
>>52151214
Well, a healer is a good thing to have. But they already have a bard, who heals just as well as a cleric if he takes the right spells.
>>
>>52151214
Spare the Dying is a necessity.
>>
>>52151191
A Hunter Ranger is largely the same as a Fighter except spells instead of Battlemaster and Hordebreaker instead of Action Surge, Volley instead of Third Attack and Swift Quiver instead of Fourth Attack.

Although its rare to get to level 17, it could be really awesome to see a 11 hunter ranger, 3 fighter-battlemaster, 3 rogue-assassin, to see an action surge + assassination surprise volley that also burns up all maneuver dice in one go.
>>
>>52151026
The guy was using puppet account to vote down other channel, refuse to admit it until people come at him with evident, then make a public apology and then took out that apologize video and continue his down voting activity.

He is a dick. An unprofessional dick.
Also
> 3rd party attempt to import Pathflounder class into 5e
>>
>>52151238
They have bard also why waste a cantrip on something a healer's kit can do..?
>>
>>52151246
It's times like this I wish I had that screencap of the guy who did death tanking and helped his party defeat a 7x Deadly Rating army
>>
>>52151241
Gonna play the devil's advocate here.
1. Alchemist is one of the best PF classes in terms of balance, fluff, and fun factor.
2. More player options, assuming they are internally balanced against other options, is never a bad thing.

When the artificer gets an official release, I'll look at it's alchemist archetype and see what's up with it. Until then, I'm glad for the effort.
>>
>>52151267
> more options isn't a bad thing
This has been proven as fault by people in /5eg/. Although I kinda forgot the name of the psychology theory they use to support the arguement...

Ice cream dilemma or something? When there are more choices, people will be less satisfy with they choice they made.
>>
>>52151279
Makes sense to me. The more choices there are, the more you're giving up by picking just one of them, hence disappointment would be higher.
>>
>>52151279
>>52151287
Hmmmm . . . I guess that's fair. I still support more options, though. A nice medium between 3.5's 'one splat per month' and 5e's 'nothing for two years' would be ideal, though.
>>
>>52151279
>>52151267
>>52151287
Its not just ice cream-ness, but also the more options, the more the game is inclined to dissolve into a clusterfuck of multiclassing cheese.

>More player options, assuming they are internally balanced against other options, is never a bad thing.

This assumes a lot.
>>
>>52151295
Agreed. Personally I prefer expansions on the existing material - like more archetypes, or better yet, more things you can pick for existing characters, like Warlock invocations or manoeuvres and feats and stuff.

It means you don't forgo things quite as much but still have higher customisation options.
>>
>>52151257
Could you summarize? This sounds really interesting.
>>
>>52151295
Like 4e?
>>
>>52151301
>more things you can pick for existing characters, like Warlock invocations or manoeuvres and feats and stuff.

More optimization fodder is not the best thing in the world.
>>
>>52151241
Everything he's said is true.

>>52151267
Still avoid if the author is a complete douche.
>>
>>52151304
It was something along the lines of a group who accidentally skipped a planned-out goblin arena battle and instead took on the entire city of goblins, I think.

They got into a narrow corridor and one guy stood at the front just going down over and over. The goblins were weak and he was built for tanking, so he never got one shotted - but the cleric kept reviving him and resetting his death saves while the rest of the party shot the goblins down. They couldn't get through and the tank just kept popping up and going down again.

>>52151310
Doesn't have to be min-max stuff. The recent Warlock invocations were great, not too strong, but more support for Pact of the Blade options and more Patron-based stuff for flavour fun.
>>
>>52151319
>The recent Warlock invocations were great, not too strong,

Well, the smite stuff on the other hand... granted blade warlocks do need something to do.
>>
Common questions I know, but can someone please tell me some good classes and builds for dps? I've heard that vengeance paladins and rogues are pretty good at mincing things up. How about Warlocks and Monks?
>>
>>52151365
As far as I know, the top DPR are Champion Fighters and Sorclocks.
>>
>>52151319
Spare the dying doesn't get you out of unconscious state. Unconscious creature doesn't take up space.

Are you sure they weren't healing the tank guy up with healing word? Bard can do that too.
>>
>>52151372
> Champion
> Good DPR
Only if you didn't account for martial that can cast cast on itself.
>>
>>52151365
Monk don't do damage. They are stunning machine.
>>
>>52151365
nuclear Druid

or go fey Warlock, get the pact weapon bow from UA, then multiclass rogue for sweet sneak attack + bow smite action
>>
>>52151415
>nuclear Druid

Fa vaen?
>>
>>52151401
>>52151372

I actually erred, I was thinking of battlemasters.
>>
I rarely see discussion about this kinda thing in these threads but I'm having trouble with Roleplaying. So far we did a quick one shot to take us to level 2 and I feel like my Lizardfolk's not really alien enough.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for things I could do to capture the fact he's inhuman. I'm already trying to speak with impersonal language and I convinced the Cleric that if I don't eat the Goblins their meat will be a waste.
>>
>>52151425

Really stupid garbage using unofficial content that isn't meant to be multiclassed with an unintended interaction with magic missile to kill Tiamat instantly
>>
File: Lizard Scratch.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lizard Scratch.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>52151456
Make him a snuggler.

Lizards are cold-blooded, they like warmth like body heat. So have him always in people's personal space and not get why it's an issue.
>>
>>52151365

So long as we're talking POTENTIAL here...

Level 2 fighter Action Surge
+
Level 3 rogue assassin with Assassinate
=
Quadruple damage.

If its 3/3, battlemaster/assassin, two of them working in tandem could use Commander's Strike to help each other get a second, doubled, sneak attack in as well.
>>
>>52151470
Damn, Lizards are cute.
>>
>>52151470
That is indeed cute.
>>
>>52151365
Without using UA, oathbreaker paladin is both the best burst AND best sustained damage. With PAM.
>>
>>52151477
>Level 2 fighter Action Surge
>+
>Level 3 rogue assassin with Assassinate
>=
>Quadruple damage.
Except not really, because you only get one SA per turn so your second hit is only going to be, at most, 2d8+mod
>>
>>52151425
To put it simply, due to Crawford rule, Magic missile is an AoE spell that can let you select the same target over and over.

Think of Empower Evocation Fireball. You get +INT to damage on every target of Fireball. And you also roll the damage once for every target.

Magic missile is the same thing.
>>
>>52151519
>Roll the damage once for every target

You roll the damage once and once only if I'm not mistaken. It simply applies several times.
>>
>>52150275
What was Volos.

>>52150728
It's not called "Find Saddlebags"

>>52150987
The times people would want this (Monk) already get it. Don't see too much of a purpose.

>>52151295
If that's the rate 3.5 relaesed, we're doing even better. We still get content once a month, but when it's broken we can all ignore it as non official

>>52151319
Sounds like shit DMing plus misunderstanding Spare the Dying on both their end and yours

>>52151365
Anyone can do good damage if you try hard enough and build right. Even Monk if you don't play beyond 7th level or so
>>
>>52151543
That what I was trying to say. Thanks for clarifying it though.
>>
What if I play nuclear druid but never actually use the power until we are about to lost to the BBEG? Just like in Chineseime.
>>
>>52151574
Still a faggot and I would look down on you.
>>
>>52151574
>BBEG casts "shield"

What now?
>>
>>52151319

So... this is the power... of DM softballing?!?!?!
>>
what monk order should i pick if i want to be like raoh
>>
>>52150278
charizard is already a manlet standing at almost 5ft tall
>>
>>52151588
Wizard/Bard/Sorcerer get to be a hero and cast counterspell?
>>
>>52151627
I personally have no idea. I'm under the impression Open Hand Monk is the best if you want to emulate FoTNS shenanigans. Mainly because of the absolute shitkicking they belt out.

Sun Soul seems more like Dragonball, with all the fireball stuff getting slung around. For an actual Raoh build... someone better that me at crunching numbers could possibly do it. Almost certainly some monk/barbarian thing. Perhaps only a few levels in monk to get the ki abilities, stunning and whatnot, then the rest in barbarian to get brutal critical and the enrage to get all that absurd toughness.
>>
>>52151688
yeah open hand made kenshiro come to mind and tranquility for toki
>>
>>52151752
On the other hand, perhaps a monk/paladin build might work? Gives them some spell abilities to emulate the strange bullshit that Hokuto no Ken can sometimes pull out it's as, as well as granting self healing and buffing powers. Going multiclass however will almost certainly deny you the Quivering Palm though.
>>
What things can I make with a herbalism kit?
>>
>>52151891
Hmm... nothing? Looks like antitoxins and potions of healing.
>>
>>52151891
That irks me slightly. A lot of the creative tools give you the impression you can make a lot. Potions for example, you get a healing potion and fuck all else. It's all left to the GM to decide what can be done.
>>
>>52151891
As much as your DM will let you.

Be it teas/coffees that help remove or delay exhaustion, standard antitoxins and potions of healing, maybe some poisons, etc.
>>
I'll be making a character for a game soon. I'm really torn between three choices.
Open Hand Monk.
Battlemaster Fighter
Bear Barbarian.

Are there any players of these classes arounds? How did you enjoy their playstyle? The monk seems pretty fun, able to stun and floor people often. I like how the battlemaster has a lot of options in a fight such as riposte and action surge. Finally, the barbarian seems an unkillable beast who can crit stupid hard.
>>
>>52152032

I can see why they did it that way, though. Imagine "as an example, the DM may decide that Rheumblarf leaves mixed with Sprite's jizz can give advantage to an archery related role..." this would likely result in many posts about how "oh yeah, it says on p 203 that rheumblarf + sprite jizz makes the archery advantage ointment, so archery based chars are automatically better since you have free advantage forever," etc.

Creation of healing potion seems permanently on, while other potions are optional, so if you gently point out to the DM that you can already make magical healing potions, and that it says you may allow the creation of certain items, then he may let you make other potions.
>>
>>52152145
The most important thing to find out is how often the DM grants long rests. Many campaigns allow a long rest per 2 fights, so barbarian is good for those.

The second most important thing is to find out whether there is going to be a dedicated guy who uses two hands to inflict damage character. If not, you probably want to be the designated 2hd battlemaster or barbarian, depending on rest frequency.
>>
>>52152145
If you go with Bearbarian, don't be afraid to spam reckless attack liberally. It greatly increases your DPS and the loss to your defensive capabilities is minimal since your resistance and HP are what make you tanky
>>
>>52152174
>long rest after 2 fights
>own DM usually does 3 fights per long rest and scenarios that often force spells to be used
>>
I want to play a Minotaur Paladin who wields a shield and smites with his horns. I don't wanna use a weapon so what do I use in my free hand? Grapple build maybe? Go shield master for bonus action advantage shoves? Sounds decent enough and my damage isn't bad with 1d10 horns + smite. DM says no multiclassing until level 4. And what would be a good Oath? Devotion seems cool for the channel divinity but if I go Ancients and we go late enough to get that level 7 feature, I feel like I'll be super hard to take down. Also it seems like it'd be fun to fluff a Minotaur sailor Paladin as a Paladin of a tempest god/goddess
>>
>>52152190
How feasible is a battlemaster fighter/Bearbarian sound? A few levels in fighter to get the two handed fighting style, action surge and battlemaster tactics, then everything else in barbarian?
>>
>>52152396
Generally multiclassing will always yield a stronger PC than single classing so long as you make some effort to get something out of said multiclassing.
>>
>>52152396
Sounds like it'd work fine. Champion has more synergy offensively since it raises your crit chance (19-20 crit with at will advantage is pain) but Battlemaster gives you more utility and variety. Riposte seems pretty decent and between rage and the DR from Riposte, some attacks can be rendered completely useless.
>>
>>52152174
>game designed for 6-8
>most groups do 2
Oh god, why.
>>
File: 1486343293968.jpg (816KB, 1332x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1486343293968.jpg
816KB, 1332x2048px
Allocate stat rolls in order rolled, or pick and place?
>>
>>52152541
Pick and place, or they don't really get to choose their class and that sucks for everybody.
>>
>>52152541
>rolling stats
>>
>>52152541
Roll 3d6 in order, no do-overs, pick class and race before rolling
>>
>>52152367
The one hand should probably have a longsword or a d8 weapon that can be two handed. Its good to keep a back up weapon. Grappling is only worth it if you can reliably do it. High Strength+Proficiency sometimes won't cut it, so expertise bardic inspiration and other things are used to make your roles better and his worse. The only way I would see grappling done is if you got Hex in some way.
>>
>>52152541
Rolling for stats is only okay if you do it in order rolled.

This actually gives you a random assortment of stats, not just 'Okay, my highest stat is still [Primary stat], my second highest stat is still [Con or some secondary stat], my third highest stat is still [Con or Wis or Dex]'

All rolling for stats and then pick and place does is the same as standard array, except some people are flawless sues, some people are useless or some people just have array+ or array-

Both pick and place and roll in order can result in locking you out of classes and multiclass ideas. If you have to choose one of them, you might as well roll in order because it actually gives variation.

Point buy has even more customization than rolling for stats, and yet it's still fair.
>>
>>52152593
Rolling stats is retarded already, but why would you do it that way? If you're playing a wizard and roll trash for Int you're fucked, which raises the question of how you even became a wizard in the first place.
>>
Guys, how would you build a character based on Bane from Batman?
A Shadow Monk?
>>
>>52152630
A barbarogue?

I honestly don't know much about bane.
>>
>>52152630
Barbarian, rage constantly. Multiclass with Sorcerer or Wizard for Enlarge at 2nd level.
>>
>>52152500
>Oh god, why

Probably because its a game typically about a mix of Dungeon exploration (in which you can go rest whenever) or fighting off Dragons (which normally only come in groups of 1).
>>
File: 1487003974815.jpg (19KB, 364x210px) Image search: [Google]
1487003974815.jpg
19KB, 364x210px
>>52152500
It's seriously bad design.

In some campagins, there's a rest before EVERY fight, but then combat isn't the main focus.

But also, base 5e rules don't let people die often.
>>
>>52152599
Ehh, I was planning on going for a trident or javelin for a backup weapon, mostly for range. I doubt my DM would let me dual wield shields and get anything out of it. Oh well. Maybe next time I can play a barbarogue and grapple shit and stab them with my horns.
>>
>>52152737
Honestly, short resting isn't so bad when HD are limited and aside from warlock/fighter/monk, there isn't really resource recovery.
>>
Has anyone actually kept to doing 6-8 encounters a day? What enemies did the PCs face and what level were they?

I generally run hard encounters and force them to use a lot of resources before they get to rest. So battles could be 1-3 before a short rest and I try to keep long rests from happening often. I just can't see 6 encounters before a long rest, and have it not also drag the plot along.
>>
>>52150866
you don't have to get all autistic just because you're too anal about mechanics, dude. how would swapping fire damage for cold damage possibly break the game.
>>
>>52152819
This is a long rest. A long rest before every fight.
>>
>>52152737
>But also, base 5e rules don't let people die often.

Are we reading the same rule set? The only mercy 5e gives you is that it takes extra doses of damage to kill you quickly, but even a CR 0 (10 xp) creature hitting you three times is automatic death. Any form of aoe battle is probably going to include you.

The moment monsters realize you have effective healing magic -- which may be prior to seeing you use it if they've been briefed on you or otherwise can guess that clerics druids paladins and bards etc are present (some PCs make it more obvious than others) -- they are likely to kill PCs and it is nearly effortless to do so.
>>
What are some good feats for Rogues? Specifically Thief rogues? Or should i forget Feats and only focus on getting to 20 dex?
>>
>>52152957
See, it's a case of 'If the DM decides the monsters attack a downed player, they die extremely easily. If the DM decides the monsters don't attack a downed player, they're hard to kill.'

It's not a very good system.
>>
>>52152959
Dex is generally more useful for any given build, but for a ranged Rogue Crossbow Mastery is essential - with a hand crossbow it gives you an extra attack, and if you multiclass for Extra Attack you can get 3 ranged attacks a turn.
>>
File: earth genasi.jpg (41KB, 510x626px) Image search: [Google]
earth genasi.jpg
41KB, 510x626px
Are first gen Genasis more powerful in any way than more diluted ones? First gen as in the offspring of a Dao and a power hungry nymphomaniac human.
Also, do Genasi learn their culture or is it magically inherent?
I ask because i'm helping my friend with his character sheet and because me and him are both being raised in an orphanage in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, human territory, I wanted to know if he'd grow up socially stunted compared to other Genasi.
>>
>>52150941
Basically you are increasing or decreasing the durability of things. Malleable wooden twigs can be wrapped around wrists and turned to iron. A wooden door can be turned to iron for defense, or the opposite to make it easier to break. Iron bars of a jail cell can be converted to wood, so it's easy to break through.

Also it's easier to destroy things. A magical iron statue converted to wood can just be lit on fire and destroyed. You could also hide objects, your priceless silver necklace can be made to wood so people don't see it's worth.

There are uses, but you have to keep them in mind.
>>
>>52152959
Crossbow expert (Any)
Healer (Thief)
More dex (Any)
Resilient (Con)
Observant (Any)
Alert (Assassins)
Mobile (ATs)
Lucky (Any)
Moderately Armoured (AT)
Magic Initiate (Swashbuckler)
Spell Sniper (Swashbuckler)
Sentinel (AT/Swashbuckler)
Dungeon Delver (Any)
Dual Wielder (If you really don't have anything better to do any just want more AC/Strength Barbarogue)
>>
>>52153047
Actually, yeah, dual wielder is pissuseless except for strength barbarogues, I guess.

Everyone else should either use crossbow expert (Which is just better) or get a better feat like MI or Mobile for melee.
>>
>>52153065
>>52153047
Also I think I might want to remove dungeon delver from that list simply because you can get +5 passive perception instead and basically say 'Yeah, nah, I see all the traps, fuck you.'
Also
Resilient (Con) (Non-Barbarogues)
Resilient (Wis) (Barbarogues)
>>
>>52152930
>can't actually long rest between every fight
>>
>>52152979
>It's not a very good system.

"The PCs can get away with healing downed people until the enemy figures out the PCs can heal downed people rapidly." Seems fine to me.

Also, aoe heavy battles are very terrifying as a result.
>>
File: 1487892051675.jpg (287KB, 700x963px) Image search: [Google]
1487892051675.jpg
287KB, 700x963px
Fuck, just lost my DM due to scheduling conflicts. Longshot maybe, but anyone here interested in DMing a group of 5 online/through tabletop simulator or roll20 and discord?

Characters include a combat nun paladin seeking revenge for her destroyed convent & a has-been drunken wrestler on the run from loan sharks
>>
>>52153140
Why not? As long as you only have one fight a day.

>>52153150
Very few fights will start with the enemies knowing that. Or, you might not KNOW if the enemies know that, and it'll come out of nowhere and the players will feel cheap shotted.
It also raises dependency on healing characters which really doesn't need to be in there.

>>52153213
It's probably a bit harder for people to take over someone's campaign. I imagnie people would rather enjoy running their own campaign than picking up on someone else's.

Not that it's awfully hard to ship all the players abroad.
>>
>>52153231
>It's probably a bit harder for people to take over someone's campaign
I should clarify, we haven't actually started yet. We've just got the characters drawn up and ready to go. He was just our speculative DM. It fell apart because he couldn't give us a semi-consistant week-by-week timeslot.
>>
File: WarlockTomePact.jpg (42KB, 618x873px) Image search: [Google]
WarlockTomePact.jpg
42KB, 618x873px
So quick question here...

If I cast a Sorcerer spell using a Warlock spell slot, is it going to use the Warlock spell slot level?
>>
>>52153245
Oh.

Well, from there, I think the problem is that people prefer to DM for people they know, so it'd be better to get to know people first.

That said, plenty of people seem to put up ads in terrible places such as roll20, so eh.
>>
>>52153372
I know, hence "longshot"
>>
>>52153353
Yes
>>
File: on-well-okay-2805130.png (54KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
on-well-okay-2805130.png
54KB, 500x393px
>>52153395
>>
>>52153231
>Very few fights will start with the enemies knowing that.

The majority of fiends.
Many undead, humanoids, and even some aberrations are described, or can be reasonably extrapolated, as having loathing or distaste for divine servants. Coincidentally, the ones that tend to hate servants of divinity, or of rival divinity, tend to be extremely vicious or at least ruthless and methodical beings that don't mind making sure they finished a job.

Melee, ranged, and aoe combat all foster different attitudes on finishing off downed foes.

AoE opponents = downed foes are fucked, regardless of intent.
Ranged opponents = even very vicious ranged opponents probably won't shoot at downed opponents due to disadvantage
Melee opponents = have to make SNAP decisions about whether eliminating a downed foe is a better idea than engaging a new target.
>>
>>52153213

That's pretty heavy duty stuff to ask of strangers, especially that they use your style as well.
>>
Is bypassing XP and just giving players a level-up for each session a horrible idea?
>>
>>52153382
I'd say middlingshot or so. Though it doesn't seem /5eg/ organizes games within the threads a lot.
>>
>>52153534
Every session is a horrible idea. They'll get far too powerful too quickly.
>>
>>52153534
well, i'm gonna assume you want them to be max level in 20 sessions then? If so, it's fine. It might be a bit of an information overload for all the new stuff they get and learn to use, but if they're already experienced players, why not.
>>
>>52153534
Each session? Yes.
Bypassing XP and just handing out levels when you think it's appropriate? No, it's arguably a better system than XP because it can reward non-combat pillars of gameplay just as much as combat.
>>
>>52153534
Leveling up each session is WAY too fast. From 1st to 3rd level it's fine, though. But I think what you're looking for is milestone leveling, which happens when the players conclude a major goal of the campaign, defeat a boss, finish a quest, stuff like that. Just not every session.
>>
>>52148734
>Beings born out of the anguish of other beings. They exist only to cause pain and suffering. A being whom dies in terrible agony and hopelessness will be the womb in which the first goblin is born. This goblin will search for a desirable location and begin digging into the earth and establishing a nest for it’s new brothers and sisters. The first goblin invokes an arcane ritual that it knows out of instinct to summon a goblin pod. This pod will give birth to new goblins if fed decaying flesh and is serenaded by the cries and screams of tortured prisoners.

What do you think? 2edgy?
>>
>>52153469
It's not just disadvantage, but also you only get 1 failed death save from a ranged attack instead of 2.

But, really, a melee attack against a downed player is 'You have advantage on the attack, and they suffer two death saves. They have a 50/50 chance of outright dying at the start of their turn.' regardless of how strong the attack was compared to attacking a player for 'You have a harder time hitting them, and just do normal damage.'

And, so, it comes to
'Either the enemy knows already to attack downed players in which case a player might go down and then get a smack to the face that could instantly kill them' or 'The enemy doesn't know to attack downed players and you just heal them up again and hope they don't go down again.'

In any case, deaths feel pretty arbitrary. No dramatic fighting to your last breath, you just go from 'fully functioning' (Albeit on the edge) to 'downed', which happens all the time anyway so normally players don't worry, except then you go from 'unable to do anything' to 'unable to do anything forever' out of nowhere by a snap decision a monster makes.
>>
>>52153534
Level them up in line with the number of sessions:
>Session 1: Level 1
>Session 2: Level 2
>Session 3: Level 2
>Session 4: Level 3
>Session 5: Level 3
>Session 5: Level 3
>Session 6: Level 4
>etc.

It's actually not dissimilar to my current campaign.
>>
>>52148734
Tiny, primitive racists. They will kill you with a spear, but they wouldn't dare eat you for fear of sullying their body with yours. Funny story, I came up with the idea when one of my players wanted to run a nazi, but I decided to tone down the actual nazi factor by making them into such. Basically he would have to earn a rep before people would stop laughing at him, then they can fear him on that alone.
>>
>>52148387
A spiked tortoise
>>
>>52153706
I really like this idea. Plus tortoise's already have a rep for being ancient and wise animals.
>>
>>52153353
What a great outfit.
>>
>>52153598
We had 3 whole editions (1e, 2e, and 3e -- some wonkiness in AD&D) in which there essentially was NO chance of recovering someone. You were generally fine, or you were dead, and mid combat healing is not very effective for the most part in those editions either. So I view it as an unambiguous improvement.

>50/50

Also, the chance of a PC saving him before then.

While it is very arbitrary that CR 1/8 foes and CR 20 foes have individual attacks that are equally prone to killing downed people (in general), what is not arbitrary is the role of swarm enemies vs center piece enemies. 5e is designed to feature mismatches of high power and low power enemies, and rates (in terms of encounter budgets) groups of mid tier monsters very highly in terms of XP budgets. This is in addition to fluff (werejackals + lamiae, grimlocks + mind flayers, beholders + AD&Desque legions of humanoids, etc) pairing big tough dudes and little dudes whenever possible.

Likewise, things that kill hordes tend to only annoy big dudes, and front liner PCs tend to have a hard time quickly dispatching hordes. The role of little dudes, and how dangerous they are, is not at all arbitrary or not thought out.
>>
Are all the Adventurers League files in the mega designed as one-shots?
>>
>>52148235
I would let my players refluff it into GW2 Ranger's Celestial Avatar form, which is basically you with a moon-like glow.
>>
Actually thinking of it, Primeval Guardian would make a reasonable low-magic Druid.
>>
>>52153931
>PC saving them before then

Depends on initiative.

An enemy could very well easily make three attacks or you have three one-attack enemies in a row, or some sort of ongoing AoE effect or trap or something, that reduces you from full to absolutely nothing with no chance of anybody intervening.

I think it's good that there's a level of saftey, but I don't like how it's done. It's 'You go down, but you just get straight up again with one point of HP' along with 'The DM decides when you die if you're downed by simply choosing you as a target.'

Of course, the idea that you could have a swarm of tiny creatures that instantly kill you due to number of attacks is stupid, but at least we have swarm rules and mobs of monsters are higher value and all that. But, still, the really stupid bit is, as above, 'You die when the DM decides you die'.

Compared to previous editions, adventurers know that if they get hard they'll just fucking die.
5e, adventurers expect to just fall on the floor then get up an hour later or in a few seconds by the hands of a Cleric. That's what normally happens, and players don't really feel bad about going down, normally. Yet, sometimes, they just don't wake up. They don't get a grand last word in or a 'Tell my wife I loved them', they were just a fucking brick on the floor that the DM decided needed to go away.
>>
File: BCugYJP.jpg (54KB, 680x759px) Image search: [Google]
BCugYJP.jpg
54KB, 680x759px
>>52154093
>If they get hard they'll just fucking die

Sorry, that was 'hit hard'.
>>
File: UA Variant Rules.pdf (176KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA Variant Rules.pdf
176KB, 1x1px
>>52154093
The DM is required to run the enemies as they would act. Irrational and/or hungry monsters would go for downed PCs, same as savvy enemy leaders with knowledge of what healing magic does. It's not arbitrary if the DM is consistent with how he plays the enemies.

Besides, dying means you're bleeding out and technically unconscious, but I see no problem with saying PCs can still get some last words out with their dying breath, when they fail their last death save or are inflicted enough damage.

You might like the Vitality variant rule in this UA, by the way. It seems interesting.
>>
>>52154093
>that reduces you from full to absolutely nothing with no chance of anybody intervening.

Yep. Better tailor your strategies accordingly.

>'The DM decides when you die if you're downed by simply choosing you as a target.'

The monsters decide whether to finish you off depending on how evil, petty, vindictive, or thorough they are, how cognizant they are of magical healing, what their objectives are, etc. Feature, not bug.

>They don't get a grand last word in or a 'Tell my wife I loved them'

Would you prefer the norm in literally every other edition but 4e, which is "they fucking die almost universally if downed?"
>>
>>52154210
>You might like the Vitality variant rule in this UA, by the way.

Wait... what the fuck? So you can't be KO'ed at 0hp, just at 0vit, and if you're at 0vit, you have 0hp. So if you are magically healed while unconscious, what happens exactly?
>>
File: succubus.jpg (174KB, 740x1054px) Image search: [Google]
succubus.jpg
174KB, 740x1054px
>>52154109
sounds like a succubus' curse. If you ever get an erection ever again your heart will stop.
>>
>>52154307
Morningwood = DED
Thread posts: 405
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.