[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 5th Edition General >New Unearthed Arcana: Traps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 32

D&D 5th Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52120444

>Beyond Announcement

Will Wizards go after megaanon for Beyond?
>>
Beyond Announcement

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/dndbeyond
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12511533
>>
>>52138995
>Surely if there are multiple factors contributing to just how stealthy you are at that moment, you should have a greater and greater chance to remain hidden?
As much as it should, advantage doesn't really stack. So what you do is when you get Supreme Sneak you lend your Cloak to another party member, so that they can be sneaky with you.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 290x174px
What sorta rules would you use for jousting in 5th?
>>
>>52139385
Centaur are banned for competing.
>>
>>52139385
No PAM.
Only people of the same size types may compete against each other.
>>
>>52139415
Speaking of, can a centaur be considered "mounted" to use a lance one-handed?
>>
>>52139415
>>52139500

I meant more as in what sorta mechanics to use? What determines if you fall off your mount or not?
>>
>>52139570
I never gave it much thought but here's a quick thing I worked up:
>Both characters roll attacks against one another. If the attack is a hit, roll damage and the one attacked must succeed a dexterity save with a DC of the damage dealt. If the save fails, the character falls off his horse, otherwise he is not knocked off.
I'm sure someone'll come up with something more complex, though.
>>
>>52139570
Roll for damage or dc athletics check I guess. Could do something like a contested athletics check and you fall off below 10 or 15.
>>
>>52139570
probably constitution saves, maybe animal handling, maybe performance to hype up the crowd?
>>
>>52139676
>>52139678
Roll for attack to hit, AC 15 with a contested athletics check, fall off below DC 10 or a contest greater than 5.

>>52139703
Horses are trained for this sort of thing, so I'd rule out animal handling. One could use a con save if they fall off to avoid taking damage.
>>
>>52139757
Depends on the quality of the mount.
>>
>>52139788
Sure. I'd just focus on making it entertaining for the players. Maybe a performance chekc to amp up the crowd, maybe your mount panics, etc. Personally I'd focus on one mechanic (e.g. roll to hit with athletics) and maybe add in some spice here and there if needed.
>>
Does anyone have a decent one-shot or a campaign that'll last 3-4 five hour sessions?
>>
File: BHP_Lizard_God_OPD_Blog.jpg (369KB, 1052x744px) Image search: [Google]
BHP_Lizard_God_OPD_Blog.jpg
369KB, 1052x744px
>>52139864
>>
>>52139221
>no /5eg/
>>
>>52139864

One-Shot idea:
>Adventurers hit a town that's overly friendly. Everyone gives them a hero's welcome cause they love adventurers. They explain that the last time adventurers were here, they took over a goblin incursion years back so the town practically respects their kind. In reality, they're all mind-controlled thralls of a goblin shaman and his tribe who lure adventurers to a false sense of security and kill them without warning when the time is right.

For a 3-4 small campaign:
Lost Mines of Phandalin without Thundertree and some of the quests in the sandbox part of the module

And this one: >>52139934
>>
>>52139221
>Will Wizards go after megaanon for Beyond?

Only if it is to give him a job
>>
>>52139676
I'd make it a con save, fits the image of knights doing jousitng and not lightly armoured rouges.
>>
It's been a while since I went to 5eg, I'm gonna assumed the DMG trove got wrecked by WotC?
>>
>>52139934
>>52139985
Thanks.
>>
>>52140178
Rogues have plenty of spare room for upping con (Since they're otherwise SAD) and getting resilient (Con) as a feat.
And also barbarogue is a thing that often starts on barbarian which gives them con save proficiency.

Really, it should be a strength save.
>>
For a barbarians unarmored feature, how much armor cosmetically is too much? It's the opposite of the "my character is mechanically wearing armor but I want him fluffwise wearing none, ie I ignore don/doff time", so it's not like l'd be getting any benefit from doing it.

I'm interested in playing a zealot barb, but I don't want my holy warrior to be naked. Would it be fine to just say he's wearing a set of chainmail but just use unarmored defense? Conversely, what kind of clothes would be appropriate for a medieval holy warrior/knight that'd be commonly on the frontlines? If it applies, he'd be a worshiper of Heironeous.
>>
>>52140281
I was gonna say str save as well.
Most of the effects in the game that "push you" require str saves.
Remaining mounted in other circumstances often require dex saves but that's more in the case of not losing your balance and falling.
This is some other challenger pushing you back.

Str save.
>>
>>52140314
Why not have him wear a shirt with just his holy symbol hanging around his neck.

>God will protect me. I don't need the armor.
>>
>>52140314
Have him just wear holy garb.
>>
>>52140178
With jousting it's all about hitting just the right spot with your lance against your opponent's shield. If you don't, your lance will glance off or shatter, if you do, your foe goes flying. Idk how much con is involved.
>>
>>52139221
I signed up to the beta. A digital tool is something I would pay for. Hell not having digital books is the reason I pirate them.
>>
>>52140402
This, mostly.

But now that we've got tool anon, I barely even check the PDFs anymore.
>>
File: 1488839270115.jpg (172KB, 851x774px) Image search: [Google]
1488839270115.jpg
172KB, 851x774px
>Needing digital tools
>Not memorizing every single rule of every book and UA off by heart
>>
File: hm elf.jpg (46KB, 452x518px) Image search: [Google]
hm elf.jpg
46KB, 452x518px
>dndbeyond.com's terms of service and privacy policy redirect to Twitch's pages for those
>>
Is it subscription based? I just want to pay for something once.
>>
>>52139757
Maybe advantage on the hit roll if they have Vehicle (Land)?
>>
>>52140494
I'd guess because they're partnered with Curse for Beyond and Curse was bought out by Twitch.
>>
>>52140503
We don't know. We don't even know its full feature set, platforms, if it can be used offline, if it'll have UA content, if you lose rights to the homebrew stuff you put on it--we don't know anything about it outside of it coming out this summer.
>>
>>52139221
>megaanon

Literally the reason why I don't give a shit about Beyond

It's such a good idea that someone has already made it
>>
Partnering with Curse seems weird. It'd be easy to hire some consultants and fart out an application in a half year or so.
>>
>>52140569
They tried that for a 4e-dedicated VTT and it fell through due to that murder-suicide shit. They tried it again with Project Morningstar and it fell through again.

Despite the fact that it *should* be easy, since it's largely just a data presentation and storage problem, it has shown itself to not be that easy. Curse at least has manpower and history behind it this time.
>>
>>52140569
>You can literally get just a band of nerds at your local engineering university to pay you for the privilege.
>>
>>52140569

Last time WotC tried that it ended in a murder suicide.
>>
>>52140623
Oh fuck, I can't believe I forgot that. Watch it happen again. D&D will kill Twitch.
>>
>>52140623
>>52140648

>WotC will kill Curse in a year

I'm ready for the popcorn
>>
File: smirk.jpg (85KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
smirk.jpg
85KB, 550x550px
>>52140734
>WotC will kill Curse
D&D online tools are already cursed; if they partner with Curse, will they be double-cursed?

>Curse kills WOTC, WOTC kills Curse
>double murder-suicide
>>
>>52139221
>Old thread drops off the page with no replacement
>New thread has no title
This is why we don't drop the ball, dammit.

>>52136556
Like the Armor of Invincibility? I know there is an armor with that effect, at any rate.
>>
I think it'd be good to seperate combat skills from non-combat skills
You don't get proficiency to combat skills by just putting proficiency from a skill there

So,
Passive Perception = 10+INTMOD+WISMOD
Grappling Modifier = 10+STRMOD+DEXMOD
This grappling modifier is used for pretty much most grappling related things.
The 'stealth' skill is removed from the game.
Stealth Modifier = DEXMOD+... I honestly don't know. You could make an argument for charisma modifier for 'knowing how people would act', 'trying to blend in' and 'shocking foes when you surprise them' but you could also probably make a similarly bad argument for int or wis.

Anyway, whenever you gain the 'expertise' feature, you may also choose one of the three to specialize in. You add your proficiency modifier to it - +PROF to grappling, +PROF to stealth or +PROF to passive perception. No, jack of all trades does not apply. You can gain advantage on grapples or stealth still, however, by advantage on strength/athletics or dexterity/stealth respectively.

Athletics still has plenty of other uses and so does perception.

Does this sound okay or does it sound like 'Reee why you nerf X or reee why you make things confusing'?
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 403x79px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 403x79px
>the 5eg discord
>>
>>52141031
>'knowing how people would act'

Thats insight
>>
/r/equesting pics of Lake battle maps.

Players are planning on taking a rowboat across a lake, they're going to find out the Loch Ness Monster charges about tree fiddy or else.
>>
Is there anything like a Mirror Spell effect? Like the attack bounces back to the caster.
At least as homebrew or from older versions?
>>
>>52141091

Spell turning.

There's a ring with that, and also a CR 1 beast called a Crag Cat from SKT
>>
>>52141129

Its my Paladin Mount
>>
>>52141031
>Does this sound okay or does it sound like 'Reee why you nerf X or reee why you make things confusing'?
The latter, to be honest. What are you even expecting to achieve with this?
>>
>>52141031
Just let it work like NPC grappling.

Attack hits, grapple instead of damage. Action to escape grapple with Athletics or Acrobatics DC 8 + STR + PB. Saves time and effort.

Hide and shove can work the same way. Hide is automatic with the action, and someone takes a bonus action to find them using Perception DC 8 + DEX + PB.
>>
Who's got a link for the Acquisitions Inc. holiday special?
>>
>>52141057
goddammit homu
now everyone will know about my orksona
>>
>>52140508
Or mounted combatant feat/ proficieny in animal handling.
>>
>>52139221
I hope its free and they only micro transaction you on the DMsguild homebrew or splat books
>>
>>52141204

surprisingly no torrents that I know of
>>
That nat 20 login thing for the D&D beyond beta makes me cringe a lil desu
>>
>>52141072
Just slap a grid over a photo of a lake or something, it's just a lot of water.
>>
>>52141069
It's odd that insight isn't tied in with charisma, but then again charismatic people can also not actually understand other people. So yeah.

>>52141147
The point is that there are some skills that trump others, especially in 'Mostly combat' campaigns, because they tend to influence combats heavily (Determining surprise or used for grappling). This really doesn't feel fair when you could use those proficiencies on something out of combat like arcana.

>>52141151
That might make it a bit too easy if it's against AC, but then again... A contested check was already extremely swingey.
Those aren't really bad suggestions, though. I'll think about that.
>>
File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork2.jpg (162KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork2.jpg
162KB, 750x500px
What are some quick easy rules for letting player characters do combination attacks? For example, the Sorcerer throws a fire spell into the Fighter's sword before he strikes so that it deals fire damage in a short cone upon impact, or the Cleric infuses life via a healing spell into a Druid's entangling roots to make them spread farther and have a higher save DC?
>>
>>52141543
Damn son those are not bad ideas for combos. I'd just have the DM wing it. The DM shouldnt be coming up with the combos the players should
>>
>>52141543
>fire on a sword
Sorcerer casts greenflame blade on fighter's weapon

>healing energy + entagle
Probably an appropriate metamagic
>>
Is point buying just as 'legit' as taking the spread for new characters?

You can beat the average and spread if you take the balanced 13,13,13,12,12,12 stats when as you are loosing out at total points the more you optimize stats until you max out at 15,15,15,8,8,8.
>>
>>52141543
Rule of cool it.
Give them a DC to hit with the relavent skill, and apply a bonus if they make it. If they fail by a lot, it backfires.
>Set the warrior on fire instead of his sword.
>>
>>52141474

>Reminders that people who use Insight for lie detections are bad DM's
>>
File: A_xstrikegdq.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
A_xstrikegdq.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>52141562
Makes sense but there needs to be some kind of structure so it's consistent. I was thinking hard and fast rules like:
>+1d8 damage or healing per spell level expended
>+1/2 spell level to the Save DC, rounded up
>Applies to an additional target per two spell levels, rounded up
>Inflicts an additional status effect on a failed save, based on the spell level expended, higher spell levels equate to better status effects

I'm not certain what resource martial characters might need to spend to add an effect to a combination attack. Perhaps hit dice or gaining exhaustion levels?

One idea I had as well was that characters would need to spend Inspiration to use combination attacks, so that they're not spammed so much and they feel more special and impactful when they happen.

>>52141611
I know you meant that to be helpful but it's not. Greenflame Blade can't be cast on allies' weapons and is a cantrip, metamagic is sorcerer-only and doesn't involve teamwork at all. I'm looking for combination attack rules that (1) expend resources to perform, (2) require two or more characters acting together, and (3) have fairly simple options, for example picking one or two options from a list of six to ten.

>>52141712
I'm looking for actual rules, not asking players to make an arbitrary ability check and winging it.
>>
File: ThisIsHowIWarlock.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsHowIWarlock.png
1MB, 1280x720px
How can I optimize my pact of tome warlock? I was planning on using skilled to get all the most common and useful skill proficiencies, I'm taking shillelagh and greenflame blade then eldritch blast and agonizing blast for some combat use in melee and at range especially when tag-teamed with devil's sight and darkness, then taking mainly utility spells for pact magic from there. Does that sound like a decent build structure? Multiclassing is for dweebs.
>>
>>52141768
Well, what would you have?

Just say 'Okay, work it out on your own?'

I think it's fine as an 'OBJECTION' sort of skill that while you can try to pick up on lies yourself by hints the DM drops, you can use it to analyze contradictory or suspicious information and possibly get a hint.

Or are you saying that post replied to suggests this?
>>
Fledgling DM in need of setting advice. What's the best setting for a first time group? Or should I just 'City of Townsville' it and put them in Generica?
>>
>>52141872

Insight is for body language, or emotions and shit

>You notice when the queen mentions the duchess her voice slows down. As if she was uneasy with the information

This can both mean she's lying, or that she only knows this by second hand

>You notice that the farmer likes to roll his r's, much like the inn keeper's husband

Because the in keeper is the farmers son

>The mayor seems to be entirely forth coming, but his when his eyes casually wonder around his town, his gaze seems to dart off the church

The priest holds black mail material

That type of thing
>>
>>52141803
I like using Inspiration for the activation cost. Probably one benefit for each Inspiration spent, so it can be activated with a single person leading, or up to a triple tech or more for more effect. Also, the helpers ready an action to perform the tech. Or it normally takes readying an action and inspiration can be spent to participate as a reaction, spontaneous-like.

Then let's nail down some fair benefits. Not all of these have to be bought; some can be how it always works.
>Change the area of effect.
>Change the defense targeted.
>Change the damage type.
>Increase the damage.
>Apply new or additional effects.

As for alternate resources, barbarians have uses of rage, fighters have action surge, and rogues have sneak attack dice. The rest have obvious resources.

I still think most of the system should be winging it, personally. If the wizard readies a fireball to throw into the fighter's attack to make "Fire Sword" that does +8d6 fire damage to each creature hit by the fighter that turn, consider he's spent concentration, risked readying a spell, and the only actual benefit is attacking AC (dubious) and narrowing the targeting (circumstantial). Using actions gives you a lot of leverage for balanced effects.
>>
>>52141932
Start with generica since its their first time. They wont be sick of "you meet in a tavern," yet
>>
>>52141978
Hmm.

That's honestly a better way to do it, actually.

Insight reveals the evidence, not the conclusion.
>>
>>52141768
No, people who give you concrete answers are bad DMs.

Player doesn't ask to roll Insight? Don't roll. If their passive Perception is 15+ or they have Observant, maybe pass them a note.

Player asks to roll Insight? Let them roll. The answer is somewhere from (sure, pretty sure, you think) they're (lying, not lying). Even if they're not lying, the player won't get a concrete read on it.

Unless the DC is like 15 to get a good read and they hit a total of 25, anyway. I think in that case they should probably get a concrete answer. I usually set the DC about 18, so only that one Druid with Insight and good rolls ever gets these.

>>52141803
>I'm looking for actual rules, not asking players to make an arbitrary ability check and winging it.
Then your homebrew will look awfully out of place in 5e.

Personally, I'd say it consumes all participant's reactions and bonus actions, and has to be attempted in advance - you can't have the wizard throw a fireball then the fighter decide he wants to hit it, they'd have to have their reaction+bonus action open and agree on the course before it begins. Assuming you put limits on metadiscussion, they wouldn't even need the resource cost since players would have to spend their time coordinating.

HD and exhaustion could be failure penalties, though, if it fails, which would also make people hesitant to attempt them but never see the attempt as wasteful. For the example of the Fighter scoring a Fireball home run, there's an inherent failure penalty being that the fireball hits the Fighter and goes off as normal, whereas if he did manage it I'd say it goes off in a cone in front of him of its full radius (thus increasing its reach, directing it and sparing an ally)
>>
Hmm, first D&D 5E game. Made a dorf monk, decided to be cheery,nice and occasionally* get drunk on my quest of mastery of the open palm.

Wake up in misty place, the people I travelled are gone, all that's left is an empty cart and a confused donkey. I go along the road looking for the rest of them, enter a shabby village, and no one's seen anyone, no one has heard of the place we're going, and this dump is called Barovia.

One of three isn't bad, right?
>>
>>52142041
>+8d6 fire damage to each creature hit by the fighter that turn

What if the spell damage could be split as the fighter wished among his attacked targets? A Disintegrate sword would be bonkers otherwise.
>>
>>52139221
> DnD Beyond will likely cost about 10 bucks a month
> Meganon is doing everything for free
Hm-m-m, tough choice.
>>
>>52142474
I don't think "I ready an action to cast disintegrate on the fighter's sword" would have the effect you'd want. But sure, it might make Disintegrate feel good as a combat spell.
>>
>>52141850
Bumping for advice
>>
>>52142498
Giving them money is kind of the point. If business is profitable, it grows.
>>
File: 1484823228617.jpg (39KB, 347x263px) Image search: [Google]
1484823228617.jpg
39KB, 347x263px
>>52142357
>Barovia
>>
>>52142091

I actually do let them tell if they seem honest or not, if they know the character well by now, and should be able to identify the tells
>>
Wizards should just partner with Megaanon for 5e tools sets. They would see they've already got a great tools portal in his work.
>>
>>52140917
I was waiting for a Joseph Batten refference, thanks you Anon.
>>
>>52141204

I remember finding a copy, but it was an mkv file so I torched it and my hard drive to avoid it infecting my beautiful waifus
>>
>on your turn, you can use your reaction to assume a parrying stance
>on your turn

So you can't do it in response to being attacked? Hmm...
>>
File: D&D5eCap.jpg (331KB, 1001x1065px) Image search: [Google]
D&D5eCap.jpg
331KB, 1001x1065px
>>52143090
Forgot pic.
>>
>>52136720
It has similar firepower to an archer fighter; Hordebreaker instead of Action Surge and Volley instead of Third Attack. Instead of EK or BM stuff, it gets things like Spike Growth (auto-victory against melee foes in many cases) and Silence (auto-victory against magic foes in many cases, plus guaranteed audio stealth success).

Volley has a lot of interesting implications that third attack does not, and note that due to Horde Breaker you can usually get 2 hits on the target.

Its relevant to few games, but Swift Quiver comes online about 3 levels earlier than Fourth Attack, too.
>>
>>52141651
Of course.
>>
>>52143090
>>52143105
That'd work, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. It's basically "you need to sacrifice your reaction ahead of time for extra AC". At least that's how RAI seems.

I'd probably allow to use it outside your turn too, but I'm a lenient DM.
>>
File: internally-screaming.png (184KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
internally-screaming.png
184KB, 300x400px
>>52142782

Yes. "Right, and the local lord is a very strict one, indeed. Harsh, but fair. People don't seem to travel very far, and no one ever goes to the mists."

I mean fuck, it's like playing WFRP and being invited to dinner by Whoeverthefuck Von Carstein.
>>
>>52143105
>>52143090
Yeah, it's kinda shit.
>>
>>52143124
So you're saying it has situational archery ability and relies on spells to be good?

And just fuck all those other Hunter options.
>>
New to 5e and I had a multiclass question. If am a level 3 fighter and then multiclass into rogue at level 4, do I still get the ASI for being a 4th level character? Or do I need to lvl fighter up to 4 to get it as a 5th level character?
>>
A question for players: how important is it for you to get new weapons?
Do you feel giddy when the wizard tells you that the sword you found is magical and better than your previous one?
How would you feel if the DM gave you a magical weapon that got stronger over time so you'd probably end up using the same thing trough the whole campaign?
And please no "5e is meant to be played with no magical items". I love getting new gear as do most players.
>>
>>52143415
No. Ability score improvements are class features. Everything you get from leveling up is in the class table for the given class at the appropriate label, with special rules for proficiencies and overlapping features in the multiclassing rules.
>>
>>52143430
I prefer making my own gear. This is why my every character is a smith.
>>
Would it be stupid to give the champion archetype another ASI on top of all the ASIs a fighter normally gets?
>>
>>52143467
Yes. Champion's problem is not his strength.
>>
What skill would you use to remember/predict the layout of a town? I'm trying to come up with fun skill checks to use during a chase scene.
>>
>>52140314
My barb just wears light leather pants, tattoo holy symbol, sleeps under bear pelt he took
>>
>>52143480
But everyone likes more feats.
>>
What are some of the go to spells for a abjuration wizard besides Shield, Mage Armor, and Counter Spell?
>>
>>52143105
>>52143090
Basically, probably a worse defensive duellist but with benefits a rogue would like - extra chance of sneak attack on a reaction attack or just to hit in the first place.
>>
File: 1488152855406.jpg (612KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1488152855406.jpg
612KB, 1024x1536px
>>
>>52143374
>So you're saying it has situational archery ability

I wouldn't call it situational at all.

>relies on spells to be good

Its a spellcasting class, so...
>>
>>52143430
The idea of even slightest equipment improvement gives me a boner, but sometimes I do come up with a character concept that would work best with using a single weapon throughout entirety of the campaign.

Still, "over time" is less fun that "you find X and by Y you will improve your weapon". Generally the feeling of finding something cool is too good to pass up.
>>
File: what the fuck man.pdf (387KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck man.pdf
387KB, 1x1px
>>52139221
help

okay so, i'm a player in a 5th edition campaign. pretty low magic, down to earth kind of deal. no massive heroics, we're just a small band of guys making a living hunting monsters.
but tonight the DM sent me the sheet for one of our players' new character, as his last one left the group. and it's so fucking edgy i was worried for my safety.
i figure you might enjoy the laugh, because fuck man.
>>
>>52143598
Honestly his stat distribution is the worst part.
>>
>>52143592
The weapon I had in mind is a sacrificial sword. You can literally sacrifice something of yours to it and it might get stronger, depending on the "value" of the sacrifice.
Dump your spell slots in it for a month and it might get slightly better. In a pinch? Sacrifice your ability points, max health or even memories to get a substantial power boost.
Find a fancy weapon that might be even better than that and the sword will urge you to destroy it and there's a chance to assimilate it's properties.
>>
Quick! I need enchantments for shields!
>>
>>52143598
Kill him in character.
>>
>>52143598
>Undying light
Well, okay, that's not darkness but light, so as long as they don't go full sue this'll be fine.

Halflings had a language? Huh, guess they did.

>Rolling for HP, slightly above average HP
... Eh. Sure?
>Rolled stats, above average
Eh, that's something to take out on the DM, so whatever. Unless it's simply point buy with +5 points, in which case that's totally fine, sure.

>Refluffed invocations
Eh, sure.

>Refluffed spells into radiant
Eh, sure, I guess. Radiant is better than necrotic, but who cares? It's only arms of hadar.

>Then the bond/personality/ideal/flaw
Honestly the only problem is that they're focusing too much on the 'haunting spirits' part of the character, and they'd be perfectly fine if they just didn't turn their character into 'ooh, I'm haunted: the character', in which case they're fine.
>>
>>52143502
Haste is a god spell, obviously. Fireball, Blind/Deafen, Web, etc are good too.
>>
>>52143483
It'd probably be a straight Intelligence check
>>
>>52143692
That works, but it might not be worth it if you sacrifice stats rather than other items. In a 3.5 game I'm running one of the players has this feat:
http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/ancestral-relic--70/index.html

Basically he gets a personalized signature weapon but he's still glad to find magic items because he can easily use them to power up his weapon.
>>
>>52143598
here

>>52143642
i think what rubs me the wrong way the most is how much of a sore thumb this thing is.
because the party overall is pretty happy and content. sure, we're not rich, but we're making a difference and we enjoy each others' company in game.
and then edgemeister of the shadowcreep skincrawl shows up. like what the hell, man.

>>52143725
knowing the player he'll play it out even worse than just "crawling in my crawl". full on linkin park mode.
>>
>>52141978
This post really activated my almonds
>>
>>52143502
If you want to annoy your DM, get Alarm and cast it as a ritual whenever possible to recharge your ward, even if you clearly don't need an alarm for anything.
>>
>>52143598
Your friend cannot spell, didn't include race information, proper weapon information, didn't include class information for the most part..... Jeez. This needs a lot of editing.
>>
>>52143502
1st
>Sleep
>Find Familiar
>Feather Fall
>Alarm
>Fog Cloud
2nd
>Suggestion
>Flaming Sphere
>Pyrotechnics
>Mirror Image
>Invisibility
3rd
>Sleet Storm
>Haste
>Hypnotic Pattern
4th
>Black Tentacles
>Polymorph
5th
>Animate Objects
>Bigby's Hand
>Wall of Force
>>
>>52143855
Banishment is also pretty decent, and it's an abjuration spell
>>
>>52143855
Should have probably mentioned I was making an ice/cold themed wizard but I see some good spells. Thanks
>>
>>52143247
Yes, well, you're in Curse of Strahd now, anon, Have fun. And I think the Von you're talking about in this case is Von Zarovich.

>>52143467
I don't think they really need it. My suggestion and what I did for my champion player was add this to 7th level Remarkable Athlete:
>You can spend 10 minutes in physical exercise and bodily preparation. When you do so, you gain benefits similar to an Enhance Ability spell, but you can only choose between Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace. Those benefits last for an hour, as long as you maintain concentration. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

>>52143502
Alarm, Absorb Elements, Dispel Magic, Banishment, Stoneskin, Protection from Good and Evil.
>>
Is a monk/cleric multiclass any good? Starting a game at level 3 and I'm not sure if I should start all three levels as monk or cleric. Or if I should start as 1 level in monk/cleric then the other two levels for the other class. I plan on being more cleric than monk in the long run.
Playing a hill dwarf with these stats: 12,10,13,14,16,17.

Also, what cleric domain would be best for this? was thinking light or tempest for flavor reasons.
>>
>>52143239
Yeah, it's very specifically worded for that. It's in Unearthed Arcana 14, and there's a description under it:

This feat is simple, but it provides a tangible boost to both offense and defense.
The bonus to attack rolls captures the idea that your focus makes you better with blades than you are with other weapons. The math is simple enough that it doesn’t slow down the game.
The second benefit tries to capture the idea of a sword as a superior defensive weapon, as compared to axes, hammers, and so on. By focusing on defense rather than keeping your eyes open for the opportunity to counterattack, you make yourself harder to hit.
The final benefit is a contrast to parrying. If you forgo your sword’s defensive capabilities, you can strike quickly and more efficiently when taking advantage of a foe’s distraction.

>>52140314
If he were wearing chain, why would he fail to get a benefit from it?

The armored worshipper is a Cleric or Paladin, a Barbarian Zealot would be more like a Flagellant.

>>52143701
Magus' Aegis - Armor (shield), rare (requires attunement by a character with one or more spell slots)
When you block an attack with this shield, the energy is held and can be released to augment spellcasting.
+3 AC (a +1 Shield), if an enemy misses you by a margin of 3 or less add a charge to the shield. If the shield exceeds five charges, it vents, dealing 5d4 force damage to the wielder and consuming all charges.
When the wielder of the shield casts any cantrip or spell of first level or higher which includes a spell attack roll or saving throw, they may expend all charges from the shield to add a +1 bonus per charge to the spell attack roll, or increase the saving throw DC by 1 per charge.
(if the identifying player can correctly pronounce its name five times fast, give them inspiration)
>>
>>52143502
Armor of Agathys (One level dip of warlock)
Armor of Shadows (Two level dip of warlock, at-will mage armour)
>>
>>52143701
+1 ac

can be thrown, does 1d6 damage +1 to hit and damage

or

person can speak command word, shield becomes a large wall and gives 3/4ths cover
>>
>>52143916
Yes. What kind of question is that? 1 level of cleric for low or no armor types is always powergamer approved.
>>
>>52143916
Either 0 or 1 level of monk. If you go 1 level of monk, it's solely for unarmoured defence and your cleric domain probably won't allow heavy armour if you do that because you're aiming for more AC.
But then you can't use a shield, so -

... No. There's really no point at all to multiclassing monk at all.
>>
>>52143890
Please don't get Ice Storm, it's just a terrible spell
>>
>>52143430
I actually mostly hate gear-centric RPGs. I only get giddy at it if the new items are rare.

A single magic item presented well enough is good. Past that it stops feeling magical and just ends up being like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o_0hReStpI

Also better than magic items, master craftsmen at the top of their art, who only grants his creations to people who are able to bring very specific gifts.

I'd rather play a character who literally only gets a horse, better armor and silvered weapons past level 1 and stays that way that I'd play a christmas tree
>>
is multi-classing viable in 5th ed? we're level 4 with the group i'm playing with and i have a pretty sweet stat line available to me, since the dice gods smiled. 11, 18, 16, 11, 18, 12
any ideas? haven't decided on a race yet, and they can be put in any order.
>>
>>52143701
Arm bracer that turns into a +1 shield as a bonus action. Shield that can reflect ranged spell attacks if the attacker misses. Shield that lets you cast Warding Bond.

If the user's going to have the protection fighting style it could let them teleport next to allies when they're attacked.
>>
File: Drizzt.png (207KB, 637x256px) Image search: [Google]
Drizzt.png
207KB, 637x256px
Check it out guys, Wizards gave Drizzt stats in 5e
>>
>>52143984
Yes, multiclassing is 99% of the time overpowered if you have the abilities for it.

For example, if you have the wisdom, it is always advisable for wizards and sorcs to take a 1 level dip into life domain Cleric, now you have full armor proficiency.
>>
>>52143984
Its very viable but usually weaker than straight class.
>>
>>52143963
eh... this is why i hate dnd. You're so restricted on your character concept because it's not "optimal"

I wish I had non sperg friends that would try other systems.
>>
>>52144018
hmm. i'm quite fond of martials, would a barb/monk mix work? or maybe a spellblade kind of deal as fighter/sorcerer or fighter/wizard, that viable?
>>
>>52144024
If you just said your character idea, there's probably plenty of ways to make it work.

But, no, if you get a random number generator to just pick random class combinations without even considering what those class combinations mean, it will end up as shit. Unless you just go pure classed.
>>
>>52143973
Yeah I see that now. How's sleet storm? Seems pretty annoying to my melee party members
>>
>>52143991
What magic items does he have? I want to put the fucker in my next game and hope my players kill him.
>>
>>52144024
>wants to multiclass to make the most overpowered character possible
>hahaha guys I'm just kidding, I'm multiclassing for roleplay value

I don't get it.
>>
>>52143701
>Bulwark of the Undying
Armor (shield), very rare (requires attunement)

This masterfully crafted shield has obviously seen some use. It has visible cracks, segments where its surface was eaten away or bent by impact, and scorch marks, some of which resemble blasts, while others look like the limbs of a tree, branching out around their center point.

While holding this shield, you have a +1 bonus to AC. Whenever you take a critical hit, the shield emits a loud but harmonic sound, similar to a gong, and all friendly creatures within 30 feet (including yourself) can immediately spend a hit die to heal themselves.

The shield has 3 charges. You may spend one charge to cast Absorb Elements as a reaction, per the spell. It regains 1 expended charge daily at dawn.
>>
>>52144038
Paladin/Sorcerer is better if you want a spellblade deal.

Otherwise valor bard, eldritch knight, bladesinger, hexblade warlock, palock, AT, etc etc.

Instead of barb/monk, barb/rogue is a much better idea.

Monk in general has very little multiclass synergy. You can multiclass a level of it with druid or 5/6 levels of it with rogue, but that's about it.
>>
>>52144069
hmm, barb/rogue sounds interesting. tell me more about how you propose this to work? i'm still quite fresh to 5th ed.
>>
>>52143890

Made an Argynvost Draconic Sorcerer with the sugestion of a friendly anon. My spell list may have some neat sugestions for you

>Ray of Frost
>Minor Ilusion
>Mending
>Frostbite
>Prestidigitation
>Friends

>Ice Knife
>Disguise Self
>Detect Magic
>Feather Fall

>Hold Person
>Sniloc's Snowball Swarm

>Sleet Storm
>Slow

>Ice Storm

>Cone of Cold
>Hold Monster

>Investiture of Ice

>Reverse Gravity

>Earthquake (for the iceberg shattering)

>Wish
>>
>>52144055
how the fuck is cleric/monk overpowered? Are you literally retarded? It's not even UA cancer.
>>
>>52144038
>hmm. i'm quite fond of martials, would a barb/monk mix work?

Generally garbage, the rage loses much of its benefit if you don't use strength, or monk loses much of its benefit if you don't use dexterity attacks. A dex focused barbarian has its uses, though.

I don't get the need to multiclass everything compulsively, but if you want a spellblade type there are a number of ways to do it.

Two off the top of my head
Elf cleric 1/wizard x (get heavy armor, shield and shortsword, longsword or rapier)
Oathbreaker paladin 7/warlock x (can get tons of castings of animate dead and potentially +charisma to damage twice)
>>
>>52144113
he wanted to make an OP cleric/monk because of how its a no brainer in 3e, then complained that it didn't work so good afterall
>>
>>52143984
Is there a particular reason you actually want to multiclass or is it for the sake of multiclassing?
>>
>>52144051
He's a level 19 Revised Ranger, he'll go before every one of your players most likely and he will go for casters first. He is never without friends who would kill for him and who he would kill for, are you just a bitter little bitch or actually intending to give them a challenge? Because if so you have to add Breunor, Cattie-Brie, Regis, and Wulfgar. and if they dare to succeed, Jarlaxle WILL follow them and kill them, no questions asked, no quarter given, no mercy.
>>
>>52144118
>Generally garbage, the rage loses much of its benefit if you don't use strength, or monk loses much of its benefit if you don't use dexterity attacks

And the unarmored defenses don't stack
>>
>>52144050
Sleet Storm is actually good. Anything inside it has to get out to be useful. Archers might as well not exist.
>>
>>52144141
the thought just kinda struck me. seemed like a fun thing to do, so it's not for the sake of being stronk or whatever.
>>
I've been thinking of revising bard a little for my campaign
- I'm considering dropping either half or a quarter of their spells known
- I'm also considering letting bards trade spell slots for inspirations; each level of spell slot allows them to inspire one person (alternately I'm thinking of running spell points), this is in addition to their short rest inspirations
- Possibly allow valor to get one fighting style (this is purely theory right now, since I'm worried that this might make valor bard overshadow the other half martials, it would be partially tied to the spells known nerf)
>>
>>52144093
Barbarian5/RogueX (Rest of your levels) is pretty damn strong.

You can either go strength or dexterity. In either case, you get str+con save proficiency as well as danger sense for better dex saves, thus having good saves in general. Rage gives you damage resistance. It also gives advantage on strength checks. You get extra attack, which means more chances to hit and land sneak attack as well as more damage. You get shield proficiency, which rogues don't get. You get one less skill than starting rogue, but more health. And either wolf (To give melee allies lots of advantage) or bear (To really push the tankiness)

Then you're either dexterity or strength.
Dexterity gives better saves, better initiative, better stealth and eventually better AC with good dex+con and unarmoured defence.

Strength gives better athletics for some of the best grappling in the game, +2 to damage, the use of reckless attack without penalty to auto-grant yourself sneak attack if you need it.

You can generally still achieve a character concept without multiclassing. A cleric could have a monk background and be fond of hitting things or showing off their vague nimbleness, it's just they won't be a true monk.

Rogue generally pairs up well with anything that has extra attack, as rogue itself does not have extra attack and the sneak attack adds onto existing damage.

But you probably shouldn't go too deep into multiclassing if you're new. Maybe.
>>
>>52144148
>>52144051
>>52143991
I like how 4e did him as a solo (you can in fact give solos allies and I do it all the time)
>>
To the anon who asked why Jim Darkmagic only has Int 16, it's almost like those characters are being played for their personalities and not for minmaxing.
>>
>>52144188
That and
>maxing out your casting stat in 5e
>>
>>52144096
>Ice Knife, Sniloc's Snowball Swarm
Should try to convince my buddy to let us use spells not in the PHB
I like the sound of Slow though, just wish Ice Storm wasn't so bad

>>52144160
Heavily obscured is essentially blinded right? So would I be able to spot people with my bat familiar?
>>
>>52144171
>- I'm considering dropping either half or a quarter of their spells known

You're a monster
>>
>>52144148
Or I could do what I've done since 2e and put a character with a ryhming name in, who acts like the most stereotypical rip off of him. It's for fun.

I actually like Drizzt but back in the day we had a guy who played nothing but Chaotic Good Drow who always turned on the party, got his ass kicked then begged for mercy. Just doesn't feel the same if I don't use the real Drizzt stats.
>>
I'm OP and I'm sorry for fucking up the bread. I'm not on here a lot, and just saw the Beyond announcement on FB, wanted to check reactions here
>>
>>52143991
Where's that from?
>>
>>52144131
No. You completely misread all of that. You assumed way too much.
>>
>>52144203
I'm leaning more towards 1/4, with the biggest nerf being dropping secrets by half but allowing lore's secrets to count on top of the normal bard spells known table.
>>
>>52144178
He isn't solo, though, he's part of team, and personally I'd just push them all up to 20, and if my players were dumb and or evil enough to fight them they would be fighting player classed NPC's and I would not go easy on them.
>>52144204
That actually works better.
>>
why did they drop magic resistance from drow at least NPC antagonists one? Back in the day PC drow lacked it and NPC ones had it, due to it stemming from Faerzess. Hell, PCs with magic resistance from race are not beyond the pale.
>>
>>52144227

in 4e solo doesn't mean "will fight alone," solo means "on par with 4 monsters squished into one"
>>
>>52139221
A thought experiment:
>Give monks a second bonus action as a class feature, probably like 8-12th level
How broken would it be? Would it make monks better in general? Should it have limited uses, like Action Surge, for example?
>>
>>52144202
Yes, heavily obscured is effectively blinded whilst in the area or trying to see something in it. And yes your bat can spot people in heavily obsured areas
>>
>>52144249
Never played 4e, but that sounds better than what I thought it was.
>>
File: dwarf miner.jpg (52KB, 591x591px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf miner.jpg
52KB, 591x591px
should NPC dwarven miner be a bit tougher than the commoner stat block or should I just use the commoner statblock adding in Mountain dwarf racial bonuses and subbing in a pick for the club and call it a day?
>>
>>52144276
4e is great, you should try it at least once.
>>
>>52144198
>maxing out your casting stat in 5e
W-what's wrong with that?
>>
>>52144285
Just adjust for race unless you want to go nuts. AFAIK the standard NPC statblocks are intended to have race added to them after (either that or they're written as standard human, I forget which).
>>
>>52144222

It doesnt make you any less of a monster.

The bard already suffers from pitiful Sorcerer syndrom, not being allowed to take just about any fun spell on account of its "sideways thinking" playstyle forcing it to carry lots of baggage. It requires so much optimization, it might as well not even have 80% of its spell list, and ontop of that, you'd just cut those numbers even more?

There's a special place in between Tiamat's tits for DMs like you, and if I were at your table, I'd just play a blade lock, or a beast master ranger/monk of the 4e multiclass out of spite and force you to never put out anything more challenging than a rust monster
>>
How balanced is an item which gives resistance to nonmagical weapons?
>>
>>52144295
It just feels moderately superfluous when all you get out of it is one or two more spells memorized, and maybe a +1 or +2 to your saves.

I rarely ever play offensive casters though so what do I know.
>>
>>52144285
Fuck the commoner statblock.

You can have the weakest people in your setting as strong as you like.

Personally I like having a male in their prime at about level 3 but without adventurer abilities. So +2 prof, 3 hitdice. Then a really well trained guardsman might reach level 5 territory with extra attack and +3 prof and 5 hitdice and all that. And a champion a bit above that.

Really, though, you can do whatever you want. If you want commoners to die when you make a single stab at them, sure.
>>
>>52144265
>Bonus Action Surge
lol. But I see what you mean, wouldn't be such a bad idea. 9th level sounds fine, a bit too high, even. One extra bonus action per short rest.
>>
>>52144312
'How balanced is it to give players a level 17 cleric archetype capstone for free?'
I don't know. Depends on the campaign, player levels, etc.
>>
>>52144285
It probably won't matter, unless the party is 1st level maybe. If you imagine dwarven miners are tougher than commoners, you might just add +1 to all their rolls and be done with it. At low levels you're at, considering dwarven racial bonuses seems like more effort than it's worth.
>>
>>52144307
>Sorcerer syndrome
What exactly are absolutely essential bard spells that make it so it's impossible to take fun spells on their list?

AFAICT there's like 2 essential spells at level 1, 1 pure bard cantrip, and just about everything else is up for grabs.

Or are you the kind of autist who cannot live without Heat Metal?
>>
>>52143991
Is this from a computer game or board game?
>>
>>52144293
Nah, I'll stick with 5e, or go to GURPS, lol.
>>
>>52144222

If anything, you should buff the bard, on account of it being the only ritual spell caster who cant acess the entirety of its ritual spells, yet somehow still be expected to be called an "utility class"

Truly, we are the most opressed class in the game
>>
>>52144148
Let's assume we're in the Forgotten Realms, players are equal level and have equal gear. Doesn't make sense for a level 19 NPC Ranger to be blatantly better then a level 19 PC Ranger.

Now there's like no reason to fight Drizzt and friends but if they did, I honestly think the players would win. They have a much higher freedom with class choices, feats and multiclassing. They also aren't bound by an artistic integrity, if you have Drizzt set a city on fire just to trap the party people will call bullshit but that's a trick I've seen parties use.

If they want to fight Drizzt and friends I see no reason not to let them have a fairly matched fight they stand a chance of winning, it's about having fun.
>>
>>52144093
The main point is to stack bear totem damage resistances with rogue evasion.

You also have the reckless attack sneak attack synergy.

It uses a rapier with STR to benefit from rage bonus dmg and trigger sneak attack.

Players who don't like the build say that WIS saves kill barbarians, not damage, so you're tankiness is not worth that much.
>>
>>52144338

You tell me, why does the bard need to have fewer spells prepared than a paladin?
>>
>>52144346
Your fucking loss, really, but you do you.
>>
>>52144364

can't trigger sneak attack with a STR roll
>>
>>52144364
Honestly if you want to go strength you should probably go for two shortswords. You get a bonus attack with +2 damage and advantage if you use reckless attack and you can easily drop a sword, grapple and then still make attacks.

Rapier is for the dex barbarogues.

>>52144410
You can. You can attack with any stat, provided the weapon is ranged or finesse.
>>
>>52144319
>not maxing your to hit stat
>what do I know
At least you noticed you went full retard there.
>>
How do you make an Undying Light Warlock flavorful without it being obnoxious? I just had my first session today playing as one and as much as I dig the themes and concepts of the subclass it feels like a lot of the times the flavor of the class come up it's either plot-derailing ("oh hey look this hallway in the dungeon is pitch black, better go abandon the whole party to illuminate it and possibly get eaten") or super mundane and boring to sit through ("well the rest of the party already went to sleep but we didn't make a campfire and my character abhors the darkness so to go to bed he needs a campfire, soooo let's go though a 5 minute sequence of collecting firewood and trying, failing, and trying again to light a fire with a -1 to survival rolls while the other players sit there and twiddle their thumbs")

what do?
>>
>>52144350
Why would you think the PCs should/would win?
Why would you think it would devolve into a fight assuming the party is good aligned?
Why the fuck would Drizzt set a city on fire? That's so unbelievably fucking retarded.
>>
>>52144419

>load the ballista
>SNEAK ATTACK
>>
>>52144350
I know it's about fun but if you fuck with a legend, you will have an incredibly deadly fight ahead of you, if I were the GM, anyway, and it wasn't planned or discussed as something people wanted to do, if they did it spontaneously in other words. I'd pull up His stats and stat out Breunor and the others, and all of their various Magical Items, and throw them full strength at the party using tactics that would be in character for them, and it would be TPK in the end anyway because Jarlaxle would be coming if they won, and he will either enslave or kill anybody who killed drizzt more likely kill them.
>>52144393
I'm not shitting on your recommendation, man, I might read the DMG for 4e at some point, but thats as far as I'd go, I doubt my players would want to try 4e, they're as new to TTRPGs as i am and getting them to use GURPS will be hard enough, so sorry and thank you.
>>
>>52144350
People would honestly have Drizzt set a city on fire so they can brag that they've killed him and can take his stuff?
What the actual fuck?
>>
is any way to get more cantrips that aren't on your spell list besides magic initiate?
>>
>>52144535
Magical secrets but you'd need a good reason
>>
>>52144436
>>52144458
You guys really have to work on your reading comprehension. He wasn't saying that Drizzt would set a city on fire, much on the contrary. His argument was that Drizzt is bound by "artistic integrity" to act as he would, so NO city arson. Many parties, on the other hand, wouldn't have much issue using such tactics.
>>
File: Rogue Lv2.jpg (3MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Lv2.jpg
3MB, 3088x4160px
I'm quite new to 5e. Anyone want to offer advice on how I should advance my character once I pick an archetype? I would like to stay mainly as an ranged archery but one our group gets back to the town, I was hoping to upgrade the shortbow to a longbow and swap out the two daggers for two short swords for when the situation calls for up close and personal action.
>>
>>52144535
Tomelock
>>
>>52144426
>Your casting stat is your hit stat
Laser wizards are a terrible nerd wish fulfilment fantasy.
>>
>>52144535
Tome Warlock can pull 3 from any class
Arcana Cleric can pull 2 from wizards
Bards can choose cantrips as a magical secret
>>
>>52144535
1. Multiclass into the class
2. Book of ancient secrets
3. Magical secrets
4. Hope your DM gives it to you through training / an item
5. As you said, magic initiate
6. Wish
7. Summon a creature that knows the cantrip.
8. Half-elf (High elf) or high elf race. Or a race that has the relevant cantrip, such as yuan-ti.
>>
>>52144312
ARMOR OF INVULNERABILITY
Armor (plate), legendary (requires attunement)
You have resistance to nonmagical damage while you
wear this armor. Additionally, you can use an action to
make yourself immune to nonmagical damage for 10
minutes or until you are no longer wearing the armor.
Once this special action is used, it can't be used again
until the next dawn.

So, maybe not actually legendary, but up there.
>>
>>52144451
So let's say everyone involved is level 20, why the fuck wouldn't the party be considered legends? They can cast wish, monks can instakill, fighters can hit 8 times in 6 seconds with GWM. The party should be at an even fighting level at that point.
>>
>>52144621
Actually, mastermind trickster wizards are terrible nerd wish fulfillment fantasy.

Sit at a table with an illusion wizard player. They're all insufferable. Contrast sorcerer players or evocation wizards.
>>
>>52144628
Whoops, not book of ancient secrets, pact of the tome I meant.
>>
>>52144639
>8 times in 6 seconds

More like 11 times in 6 seconds with reaction/bonus/action/actionsurge alone, not even using bullshit like haste.
>>
>>52144645
>Contrast sorcerer players or evocation wizards.
They're usually the dullest player at the table
>>
>>52144698
Dull > Insufferable
>>
>>52144597
If a party was originally good aligned and they set fire to a city, they would immediately become evil no questions asked.
>>
>>52144713
Which does what? I don't want to start an alignment talk but most people will say okay and keep going. An alignment shift doesn't do fuck all anymore.
>>
>>52144639
Possibly they would be, but how many legends are gonna fight other legends? to the death no less? even evil ones would hesitate to fuck with a party that has faced THE Goddess of Chaos once and lived to tell the tale.
>>
>>52144600
Have you already picked an archetype? With your charisma, you could make a Swashbuckler, even.
>>
>>52144732
True, there's no point and it should be a tough fight. Not impossible though. All I'm saying is the party should have a fair chance at level 19-20 to be able to win, if they fight clever and use every trick up their sleeve.
>>
>>52144600
You're not proficient in longbows. You can always get a hand crossbow, though, which works great with the crossbow mastery feat.

Daggers still have a use, however. They provide ranged two-weapon-fighting in case you don't have crossbow expert. They give you two chances of sneak attack even when you're not in melee range.
>>
>>52144774
He's a high-elf, brah
>>
>>52144731
I'd still punish them for that, as there are no rules there are no limits to what hell I can inflict on someone for a huge alignment shift, but it would be subtle, oh so very subtle.
>>52144755
Never said it shouldn't be a fair fight but I'm not pulling punches, if my players decide to be stupid to a Faerun legend they will see the full hell that character can unleash, and if they succeed there will be consequences. In the instance that they kill drizzt, Jarlaxle WILL kill them in my version of the realms, it may take years, in-game, but he will ruin them, and then remove them from the world, period.
>>
>>52144792
>>52144774
>>52144600
Oh, right. Good point. I forgot things other than elves existed.

I was about to suggest a level of fighter for archery, but eh. Somehow doesn't feel worth it if you don't need proficiency.
>>
>>52144600
Pretty good plan. Your Dex is good enough that you can skip 4th level ASI to take Sharpshooter. Become the ultimate Longbow Sniper, getting those 600ft sneak attacks.

What archetype are you looking at? Your Int isn't really all that good, so that brings AT down a notch, but not by a large notch.

Swashbuckler is a pretty good one with that Charisma, and Assassin is good if you plan to snipe. Character doesn't seem like the Thief-type, to be honest, so I would probably say Swashbuckler or Assassin, depending on whether UA content is allowed.
>>
>>52144731
They will learn their actions have consequences. Former friends will shun them, enforcers will hunt them down to either bring them to trial or just kill them. Heroes will hunt them down.
>>
>>52144804
>Jarlaxle WILL kill them in my version of the realms

Why don't they get a reasonable fight against him?

>>52144817
True but there's other people who'd like them more.
>>
>>52144705
Dull is often insufferable. Sorcerers/evocation wizards have been, without fail, the most selfish and dumbest players I've ever sat with. I've never met someone actually get mad for suggesting they get a spell for something other than damage, except for evocation wizards and sorcerers. I have eaten more fireballs from sorcerers and evocation wizards too dumb to remember they have sculpt spell than from enemy casters. I've had more tpks as a result from "I'm so random XD" moments from sorcerers and evocation wizards than any other kind of player. Illusion wizard players might have their heads up their ass, but at least games go smoothly.
>>
dex-based barbarian:
is it a thing?
>>
>>52144828
These others will ultimately betray them and they will have nothing but the dirt and worms.
>>
>>52144828
He never attacks directly unless it his last resort or he's making a gamble, he has ENORMOUS resources and hundreds, if not thousands of rogue drow under his command, they don't get a reasonable fight, unless they actually take down Menzoberranzan to lure Jarlaxle out, and THAT will never happen.

Walking dead time, I'm out!
>>
>>52139221
My DM is lettiing me play a Kobold in an upcoming campaign so long as I take the "far traveler" BG from SCAG. The stats I rolled were 12, 17, 13, 17, 17, 9. what kind of character should I make this knowing I'm going to be attracting attention by just showing up in-game?
>>
>>52139550
Common sense would say yes. They have the same height and balance advantages that would allow a mounted combatant to wield a lance.
>>
>>52144731
Are you trying to justify pcs setting fire to a city?
>>
>>52144878
yes, there are different variants of it though. pure dex barb is more of a tank build, pumping CON and DEX and getting a shield and rapier. then there's barb 5 or 2/rogue x which is arguably better as a STR build but typically goes TWF and spams reckless attack for that juicy sneak attack.
>>
>>52144924
*To wield a lance one handed, I mean.
>>
>>52140508
Holy shit, you found a use for vehicle proficiency
>>
>>52144740
I wasn't sure to be honest. I was thinking Assassin at first because if you get the situation right, you can deal out insane damage at the beginning but being in a party probably limits the chances to get to creative with setting up ambushes as such. My racial cantrip that I choose was Minor Illusion cause I thought it could be fun to set up places to hide and disengage to.

>>52144811
Got the Longbow proficiency but I don't know if my DM is going to be a bit anal about using a longbow in small dungeons and the like.

>>52144812
I was originally thinking using the stat bump to get a point in Con and Cha but you make an awesome point. I'm not sure how I would play with each type yet, not sure if there is one that works best with ranged attacks or not.
>>
>>52144898
Don't forget these are level 20 players. The sort of shit they have at their disposal isn't something to be trifled with.
>>
>>52140508
>>52144996
I hate to burst your bubble, but riding a horse comes under Animal Handling, not Vehicle (Land)... unless you're jousting from chariots, of course.
>>
>>52143901

Nah, I meant the Warhammer Fantasy Von Carsteins. I'm a bit more familiar with WFRP than with ... Ravenloft?

And yeah, I will try to enjoy it. If I can be a personable, humorous dwarf monk there, I can do it anywhere.
>>
>>52139221
>Beyond

Let me guess you pay 40 dollars per book to get a pdf even if you already bought the book

WotC should have had free FULLY BOOKMARKED AND SEARCHABLE digital downloads of every book with purchase from release and the option of only buying online for reduced price
>>
>>52145021
They really shouldn't be. I mean, at least balance wise the longbow is just a +1 damage over a shortbow and you don't get a lot of attacks to take advantage of that +1 damage and the hand crossbow (with feat) is still the best weapon. So it'd be honestly very petty to try to argue that you can't use your longbow, unless you're specifically squeezing (Fitting in a space a size larger than you can normally fit in, and you normally fit in a space with plenty of space to fire bows and such)
>>
>>52140435
Tool anon?
>>
>>52145021
If your DM allows UA you might want to take a look at the Scout archetype. It's very decent and should be up your alley.
>>
Following this whole Beyond thing, I still can't believe WotC has simply decided to NOT translate 5e to any other language. That's just fucking crazy.
>>
>>52144910

>3 17's

whatever the hell you want. Rogue works pretty well with pack tactics and a dex bonus
>>
>>52145094
megaanon
>>
Hey, ive heard the UA artificer (the full class one with the shoota archetype) blows. Im assuming its because he's considered underpowered. If this is the case, what makes him weak and how far behind does he lag?
>>
>>52143598
His stats are way too high especially as he used his ASI for a feat
>>
>>52145118

Trying to keep it vanilla. I was looking at the Scout on 5megaanon but in order to limit the power creep, our group is trying to keep in easy at first.
>>
>>52145217
nah, we roll in this group. 4d6, remove lowest.
>>
>>52145192

It's actually not very underpowered. I'd only tweak it by giving it a half caster progression and see from there
>>
Any cool ideas for magic weapons for an oath of conquest paladin that uses flail and shield
>>
>>52145192
Gunsmith is underpowered and they rely too much on their level 6 feature, but if you use that feature right it's brilliant.

They still have medium armour (+Sometimes a shield), some utility here and there and a bunch of at-wills. Their strongest at-will is just to knock everybody around and prone, I'd say. Then there's the healing. Then the bot can do a load of damage for them.
>>
>>52144188
Except Viari has 18 DEX, Binwin has 18 STR and 18 CON and Omin has 16 STR and 16 WIS

Jim has 16 Int and 10 (!) Con
>>
>>52139236
>We have partnered with Curse

I know it's been said before upthread, but goddammit. Fucking Curse.

Well, at least we know the paywall will work.
>>
>>52145341

Jim might as well have 8 int for what he uses it for
>>
>>52144285
Are your players going to fight them?
>>
>>52145309
>>52145275

Ok, so they're not useless, just sitting closer to the shallow end of the power pool?

I.e. if my brother, who is in love with both the idea of a robot buddy AND a boomstick, were to play one he wouldn't be gimped?
>>
>>52145249
Well he seems to be missing tons of info like for example race though i assume human
>>
>>52145458
he probably is, dude is fucking retarded on many, many levels.
>>
>>52145373
Casting spells
>>
>>52144804
>>52144898
>>52144451
>>52144148
>Jarlaxle
Just fuck him already you goddamn FRaggot.
>>
>>52144321
Generally I agree, but most creatures that are 1HD in 3e and previous are translated as 2HD.

1HD->2HD, 2HD->5HD
>>
>>52145341
No 20 in any stat, and they're still played primarily to their personalities.
>>
>>52145449
>he wouldn't be gimped?
That is correct. They are not the biggest damage dealers, but they have great amounts of utility. Wondrous Invention, Superior Attunement and, most of all, Infuse Magic, are all great class features.
>>
What's some fun shit I can do with Watery Sphere?
>>
>>52145146
It isn't, Europe suffers from the "Infinity Engine syndrome" problem way more than America.
>>
>>52145666
What problem is that?
>>
>>52144865
Sorcerer players are selfish? Jeez, I'm the total opposite. I was more excited for being able to get Twinned Haste at level 5 than I was for getting Fireball.
>>
>>52145716
People whose sole experience with D&D is from video games but actively participate in online discussions giving people a false impression of how large the actual consumer-base is.
>>
>>52145666
>>52145844
What does that have to do with WotC not allowing translations of 5e? All I want is to be able to play 5e with people from my country, with an official rulebook that everyone can understand, dammit. I'm not European either.
>>
>>52145844
Why is it bad if they're also considered part of the D&D consumer base, especially if they actively participate in discussion?
What's your problem with that?
>>
>>52145885
I know this problem. I moved to Germany and I know some people here who speak English, but they can't read it well. So I'm trying to find a system that comes in German and is easy to learn.
>>
>>52145844
The french playerbase is sufficient for shit like Naheulbeuk to have been made so I'm not sure I follow the logic. There's also sufficient amounts of D&D inspired larping in europe in general to give me some pause.
>>
>>52145904
>>52145844
Is it for the reason they can't read English well?
>>
>>52144350
If you are throwing PCs against legends, they should have the full suite of legendary abilities. Much greater challenge, but if the players really want to kill a legend, they will be able to figure it out.
>>
>>52145723
I was just thinking yesterday about how Twinned Haste alone basically justifies all the bullshit a sorcerer has to go through.
>>
>>52145954
Exactly, it should be possible if they play it smart.
>>
>>52145916
Funnily enough Germany is the exact reason why they don't do official translations any more, a German company brought the translation and publishing rights, it sold so poorly that they then refused to pay WotC the following year.
>>
>>52144437
nothing wrong with that
>>
>tfw you use situational stat blocks for NPCs
2-4HD is my standard adult stat block based on age. +1-3HD for exceptional beings (my setting is generally following Birthright-esque power guidelines, an arcane caster with level 4-6 spells is an archmage already)
Long-lived races get +1HD for every century (elder elves use 10HD templates).

They get lair and legendary actions if they turn into BBEG. They get their full HD of player classes if the players decide to duel them.
>>
>>52145994
Well fuck, I guess I could teach them how to play myself but explaining every class ability, race and spell sounds like a lot of fucking effort. On the other hand it could teach them some more English.
>>
>>52145972
yup.

Drizz't and his friends being legends would serve 2 purposes.

1. You have to come up with a more clever strategy than "lmao turn him into a goldfish" (see: the way most players kill Fenix in Brood War for an example of how legends should not be dispatched)
2. If the PCs do catch him alone (say, using Wall of Force to wall him off) he's not a completely boring story
3. Tarrying becomes insanely dangerous
>>
>>52145994
What the fuck? That's the German company's fault, not Wizard's. Did Wizards force the German company to pay them?
>>
>>52146049
PCs suffer from the deficiencies of pride and no-consequences. They should really be disabused of their silly retarded self-centredneds.
>>
>>52146049
er sorry 3
>>
>>52141803
>I know you meant that to be helpful but it's not. Greenflame Blade can't be cast on allies' weapons and is a cantrip, metamagic is sorcerer-only and doesn't involve teamwork at all. I'm looking for combination attack rules that (1) expend resources to perform, (2) require two or more characters acting together, and (3) have fairly simple options, for example picking one or two options from a list of six to ten.
I'm pretty sure you are too dense to be worrying about homebrew too much.

You asked how a magic-user could enhance a blade to do AoE as a teamwork based attack. I have you a mechanical effect for a fire-enhanced blade with an AoE. Fighter takes attack action, magic-user uses their readied action for the combo. The whole point of homebrew is to not use the rules as written you mong.
>>
>>52145249
>try this, get a 17 and three 16s
Sheesh
>>
>>52145377
nah, the miners are going to fight skelllies invading the mine and get saved and impressed by the party

just wondering how weak they should be
>>
>>52145474

>Magic Missle
>Mage Armor
>Rope Trick
>Prestidigitation
>Levitate
>Benign transposition
>Summon unicorn

the most int he relies on is the ocasional fire bolt
>>
File: 1475500081176.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475500081176.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
>>52143938
>Monk with armor is powergame
anon, you need to read either that post or the book more carefully
>>
>>52146334
A surprising amount of the monk works while heavily armored.
>>
File: 1482218400772.jpg (29KB, 364x350px) Image search: [Google]
1482218400772.jpg
29KB, 364x350px
>>52146385
If you like dealing 1+Str and needing to burn limited resources to access any class features.
Isn't it ironic that lizardfolk, who have natural armor and treat actual armor as a crutch for pink softies, make the best armored monks?
>>
dndbeyond looks like a crappy version of roll20. Am I missing something?
>>
>>52146516
Nice catch.
>>
>>52146552
Does it even have a VTT?
>>
>>52146516
I somehow never realized until now that unarmed monk damage doesn't work while armored.
>>
>>52146516
Looking at it Kensai benefits never say they can't wear armour. So I guess you could go for that route and use the 1d4 pummel. Also they can use Strength with bows.
>>
>>52146552
>>52146603
It's more like 5etools with a character creator/sheet storage and rules content. There's no VTT element to it.
>>
>>52146603
>>52146653
So definitely a crappy version of roll20 then. Why would anyone use it?
>>
>>52146678
Its "Official" and the D&D neophytes probably don't even know about Roll20?
>>
>>52143598
That's not really any more edgy than any regular warlock.
>>
Is there a particular reason Lizardfolk don't have Darkvision? I thought in other editions they did.
>>
>>52143991
>Level 19
>Proficiency Bonus: +5

What is going on here?
>>
>>52146771
Proficiency bonuses were incorrect in the original PHB, in the errata they're all 1 less than in the printed version (also the scan)
>>
Can someone give me the low down on Strength based rogues? I googled it, but I don't have proficiency in
>>
>>52146791
I would personally rather stick to a +2-+6 range.
>>
>>52146812
Str based rogues are not great, but they work.
>>
>>52146791
Is this real? Seems an obscure thing to troll about but you never know.
>>
>>52146791
What? Seriously?
>>
>>52146791
What errata? I have the most recent PHB errata fresh from the Wizards site, and there's no mention of lowered proficiency bonuses.
>>
>>52145508
My point is it just seems weird that Jim has such low stats
>>
File: bat.jpg (8KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
bat.jpg
8KB, 299x300px
>>52146791
>>
>>52146771
Could be from his CR
>>
>>52146970
So... Drizzt is a monster, not a character?
>>
>>52146771
a mistake
>>
>>52146825
Well I want to make a Rogue who does that Prince of Persia shit. Climbing, jumping, etc etc. Athletics seems more oriented to that than Acrobatics, atleast in the sense of being functional. The PHB makes Acrobatics out to be more for doing flips and stunts + keeping balance. Where as Athletics seems to be used for Climbing, Jumping, doing things while jumping (among other things).
>>
>>52147059
Thief with Athletics expertise man. Also have a decent Strength, like a 14 for jumping.
>>
>>52147036
When presented as an antagonist/encounter, yeah, you'd unquestionably want to style him as a monster, not a PC.
>>
>>52147036
Drow ain't people Umgi
>>
>>52145022
I know, but more than 400 years of experience and a web of connections that stretches across most of Faerun, is hard to match, and even harder to beat even at level 20.
>>52145505
Go fuck yourself, you raging unrelenting cock-gobbling, scruffy-looking nerf-herding faggot.
>>
As a Sorcerer, I have 10 int, 14 Wis and 16 Cha. I was thinking about getting Ritual Caster at level 8, but for Wizard rituals. My PC is purposefully a bit out-there, so casting Int-based spells seems to work hand in hand.

But is it worth it? Tiny Hut looks oh so fun, but I would have to find a scroll first. Find Familiar is there too, but I dont want to slow down the pace of the game with pets.

There's also magic initiate. I could grab it in Cleric, get Spare the Dying and move Light over - opening a spell slot for myself. I could then get Cure Wounds.

Just want to expand my options without having to multiclass.
>>
>>52146936
Again, they're not playing with min maxing, and with 5e you don't nearly need to have your stats as high.
>>
>>52147125
Are you the only caster in your group?
>>
>>52147186
The Warlock may as well not matter. He only picks up spells that cause damage and/or cause people to go crazy
>>
>>52147201
>>52147186
oh right, and there IS a Ranger, but I haven't seen him cast a single spell yet. I do know he has goodberries. Maybe.
>>
>>52143984
Bugbearmont
Battlemaster 3
Rogue assassin 17

Use a whip for 20ft lunging sneak attacks
>>
>>52147059
Choose Athletics expertise idiot
>>
>>52147123
>Go fuck yourself, you raging unrelenting cock-gobbling, scruffy-looking nerf-herding faggot.
Not enough commas. See me after class.
>>
>>52147181
Every other char except Jim. With the possible exception of Morgaen
>>
>>52147201
I mean, that's kind of the Warlock's bag of tricks.
>>
>>52147248
Oh sorry senpai, is a minor punctuation error is all you take issue with?
>>
>>52147266
It would be more acceptable if he was attacking enemies with his bag instead of innocent bystanders.
>>
>>52147036
You're somehow too retarded for 5e
>>
>>52147269
No, anon's saying you need several more commas worth of insulting phrases.
>>
>>52144535
Iirc spellsniper learns one
>>
>>52146726
Wizards literally has a roll20 marketplace.

Also Roll20 sheets are both shit and consistently fucked with dropping data from them.
>>
>>52147344
Oh, perhaps, but I'm tired, and don't really care all that much.
>>
>>52147283
That is a bad Warlock's bag of tricks.
Tell me that he's at least got a Fiend patron to explain some of his dickishness.
>>
>>52147375
He went Old One. He tells him to burn books. I had to hide the plot device journal from him.
>>
>>52145192
it's not bad at all. people keep complaining that their damage is mediocre but they forget that they also get a robot they can fly/ride on and lots of utility. they're towards the weaker end, sure, but they're not useless by far. to be fair though i've only played with one artificer but it was his second game ever playing and he knew 0 of his class features.
>>
>>52147404
Fuck's sake...
Sound like you just have a dickass player.
He usually this bad?
>>
>>52147420
He wasted 10 minutes of our 3 hour game last week talking about cheesecake

In all honesty, his PC is a perfect representation of himself (as is mine). I also really don't feel comfortable sitting next to him. Not in a "I hope he doesn't stab me in the parking lot" way but more of "I hope he doesn't embarrass me in front of everyone"

A few sessions ago we lugged around our unconscious teammate. Ironically, both he and his PC Barb were sick, but his PC had some parasite or something. Warlock wanted to kill him. Fighter and I stopped him. I managed to get him to agree to a Persuasion duel, which I thankfully won. Turns out the Barb is just fine. Just a bit of pseudo-vampirism or something.
>>
File: mcFvnop.jpg (349KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
mcFvnop.jpg
349KB, 1200x900px
So, Character Concept

Kid lives in farming community, doesn't really like hanging out with other kids, likes going on walks through nearby forest. Gets lost one day and ends up in a grove with a big old tree that speaks to him, asks him about how things are outside the grove, the kid obliges and comes back daily to tell the tree things. The tree, after hearing a whole lotta' cool shit, decides to teach the kid magic.

The wrinkle is, I'm trying to decide between it being some sort of nature spirit, and it teaches him Druidic magic, or it being some old Archfey peeking into the prime plane through the tree, and it makes a Warlock pact with him.
>>
>>52147517
If the Tree is in charge of the grove's safety and life, go Druid. If its its own creature, go archfey.
>>
>>52147490
That's a toxic player if I've ever seen one.
Tell him to cut that shit out
No game is too small to run and you can suffer the loss
>>
File: Proficiency Sage Advice.png (68KB, 774x112px) Image search: [Google]
Proficiency Sage Advice.png
68KB, 774x112px
>>52146949
>>52146845
>>52146844
>>52146839
Hey guys, I apologize. It wasn't actually in the errata, it was in one of the earlier Sage Advice columns.
>>
>>52147517
Could also work as an Oath of the Ancients Paladin.
>>
>>52147549
Archfey makes more sense with that, thanks

>>52147566
That would totally work, but I was more thinking of a caster.
>>
File: 1477624532230.gif (71KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
1477624532230.gif
71KB, 300x167px
>>52147560
...have I been playing the game wrong all these years, or is this some advanced trolling?
I'm gonna need a link to believe the former
>>
>>52147592
Take three in Paly for the oath, then three in Feylock for Tome if you want more blasting.
>>
File: 1484360018728.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1484360018728.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
>>52147490
>actually wanting to kill a fellow party member because they're sick.
>his PC is a perfect representation of himself

How much a shithead could he be?
>>
>>52147517
Druid or Ancients Paladin is how I would fluff this.
Archfey is more trickster-y, and generally involves faeries and other fey folk to do their bidding instead of trees.

Fey are generally more Chaotic, and for some reason trees strike me as Lawful beings.
>>
>>52147560
What? What the fuck? This can't be true.
>>
>>52147257
Tell me what their other stats are? Again 18 in a stat isn't considered maximizing; a 20, on the other hand, would be.
>>
>>52147555
the worst thing is that I'm not 100% sure the others agree with me. I know they seem to know each other from the past, but there doesn't seem to be much relation between them. Here's the crew:

DM and Barb. They're friends and carpool together. Thought they were gay. Still haven't been disproved. Barb is actually pretty cool. He's Lawful Evil, but not stupid. His shenanigans are actually fun and productive, like charging through a tent, which in turn gave me line of sight.

Ranger and Warlock. They also carpool together. Ranger never speaks unless spoken too. Where do these people come from.

Fighter is really nice. We probably have the best cooperation together. He's a random person like me. I view him as a generic JRPG hero

Then there's my weak ass
>>
>>52147700
Okay, bring it up with your GM. He should be pissed about a player trying to off another's PC. That's a big no-no, like stealing from the party.
>>
>>52147517
everyone's advocating for druid but i like the idea of the archfey warlock. maybe he accidentally stumbled into a portion of the feywild? came across either an ancient feywild sentient tree (cmon that has to be a thing there) or he was intentionally lured there by a feywild lord who wanted to make a pact with someone, it just happen to be a child? it could lead to some interesting character development.

but hey im a faggot anyways so
>>
>>52147560
Are you sure
A) thats for 5e
B) they aren't talking about playtest versions
C) you arent full of shit
>>
File: 0DZHr8K.png (442KB, 900x713px) Image search: [Google]
0DZHr8K.png
442KB, 900x713px
>>52147764
>>52147632

Second opinions have helped. I do agree that trees on the prime plane give off a lawful feel, but I'm liking the Archfey angle better.

Maybe a different campaign I'll have the alternate-reality where the tree was the Druidic spirit instead.

Thanks, friends.
>>
>>52147673
18 con and str binwin 18 dex viatr 16 wis and str oman
>>
>>52147751
See that what confuses me. He seemed to be willing to let it happen if I didn't interfere. I don't know if he had plans for it, such as the parasite fixing him up or having the barb wake up and subdue the warlock.
>>
>>52147855
Then either he's a shitty DM who doesn't value his players or it's like you said and he had a backup plan.

That said, looks like you're multiclassing into Voice of Reason for this campaign.
Sucks to be you, it's a pretty gimped class.
>>
>>52147560
???
?
?
>>
>>52147888
Its hard to work it when my PC is only pretending to be a powerful spellcaster, when in actually she has no idea what she's doing. She used to make pots for a living.

Then again, I'm the only one with a civilian background as a Guild Artisan. So maybe it makes sense.
>>
File: great_tits.jpg (11KB, 220x141px) Image search: [Google]
great_tits.jpg
11KB, 220x141px
Hey /5eg/,
Broke ass college student with no time here, about to start DMing a campaign with some fellow broke ass college students with no time. Had the great idea to scratch weekly campaign meetups with a small group for an irregular "Adventure of the Week" thing with whichever portion of a large playerbase can make it during that timeslot.

What's wrong with this idea? How is this going to fuck up? What can I do to make this work?
>>
>>52147837
They're just good stats, not particularly high or anything.
What I meant was, what are their other stats? If they has 7 or 8 in many, that would be considered minmaxing.
>>
>>52147937
There's pretty much nothing wrong with this idea. It's a great way of finding a regular group.
>>
>>52147560
>>52147602
>>52147817
>>52147642
>>52147917

(note bait op)
Of course it's fake bait.

found from googling the question cut off from the bottom of the image + "Sage advice":
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_july2015
>>
>>52147937
the only problem is trying to be sure you can fit a mostly complete story or quest that fits within one sesssion. not as bad if you have long sessions but if you are kinda constrained on time it sucks. otherwise i think it's a fine idea. i had a similar idea of "episodic" sessions that had recurring characters but they were like super heroes in the world kinda doing stuff together at a convenient time. kinda like a cartoon like the x-men. a story never lasted more than two sessions.
>>
Will we be getting a UA tomorrow?
>>
>>52147969
I not saying any are minmaxed. I am saying the other charactwrs are at least optimised with 18 in their main stat or in the case of Oman a melee cleric 16 in each.

Jim is underpowered with only a 16 in his main stat and nothing else above a 14 especially having 10 in his con. So his hp is low his ac is low and his spell dc and attack is low too
>>
File: 1435160511476.jpg (10KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1435160511476.jpg
10KB, 200x250px
>it's Wednesday
>Still no UA
What the fuck WotC.
>>
File: CapturedFish.png (236KB, 982x358px) Image search: [Google]
CapturedFish.png
236KB, 982x358px
>>52148005

Pic for the lazy
>>
>>52147937
That's more or less what Adventurer's League is, you should loot some of the better modules from there.
>>
File: Official Currency.png (16KB, 582x214px) Image search: [Google]
Official Currency.png
16KB, 582x214px
>>52148005
A BOUNTIFUL HARVEST
>>
>>52148056
Mate, it's Monday.
>>
>>52148085
Nice paint skills but one of those is me.
>>
>>52147517
Background works great for either, take your pick based off of preferred playstyle/are you more charismatic or wise/whatever you want. Reminds me very vaguely of my Druid character.
>>
>>52148056
>Wednesday
u wot m8?
>>
>>52148056
Where the fuck do you live? I'm Australia and it's still monday mate.
>>
Man, we are racing for page 10
Better not cock up the next general
>>
>>52148151
>>52147843
Don't worry anon, I made it a half hour ago and it remains un-cocked up.
>>
>>52148177
ah, rad, thanks anon
>>
>>52147517
You could go with the UA Primeval Guardian Ranger, they get the ability to turn into a tree-man.
>>
>>52148031
It's almost like they're being played for entertainment and their personalities. Seems strange isn't it?
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.