[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gurpsgen/ - GURPS General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 40

File: GURPS OP1.pdf (236KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP1.pdf
236KB, 1x1px
Edition Edition
>>
>>52086926
DR with Force Field and maybe (Semi) Ablative is the most straightforward to make force shield.
Active version just adds Directional.

I don't quite remember how RPM handles maintained spells, my guts say it won't worth it for short duration.
>>
>>52086971
What level of Delusion would be "Believe that GURPS is a good RPG."?
>>
How wide point gap is acceptable for generation based on random professional templates with some free points as finisher?
Like you get rat catcher [30] and village guard [50] and [20] free, while another player get pit fighter [70] and [20] free.
>>
>>52087213
4/5
>>
>>52087249
This is UNACCEPTABLE!

It really depends on what kind of game you are doing. Think about competency level and spotlight time that those templates would provide in your campaign, not their point cost.
>>
>>52087311
But more points means more competence and/or spotlight
>>
To the guy from the previous thread:

If you're stalling, maybe come at it from a fresh angle ? Rather than trying to work out what's going on, and then building npcs to fit, start by creating a handful of strong characters to introduce to your players at each of your levels.
Great bit of advice I saw as the basis of all narrative: someone wants something badly but is having trouble getting it.

Once you have characters with meaningful goals you can come up with ideas about how they're going to achieve them. Keep it basic to start with.
The relationships between the different npcs and way they bounce off each other (and the players) will quickly build a web of intrigue and you can add detail to the areas the players find interesting.
>>
>>52085664
Think Terminator, but grimdark and no time travell bullshit.
Oh, and there is no resistance whatsoever.
Mostly because there are barely any humans left at this point.

It's 1000x better than it sounds and is by far the most unique GURPS setting. Mostly because it doesn't fuck around about being some sort of asymetric warfare or trying to win a war with machines.
The machines already won. 15 years ago. Now they are just mopping out.
>>
>>52087674
Wow. Such grimdark. Very hopeless.
I assume Stubborn is mandatory trait for humans?
>>
>>52087718
Nope. But if you come from one of those contaminated zones, you probably should start with some serious ailment, like for example 3rd stage cancer.
And the game is fun to play, even if its grimdark extreme. Mostly because it never goes over the top, but simply stays grimdark.

I mean original, first Terminator was grimdark too and this was created pretty much as Terminator rip-off, by guys who were disgusted by how cheerful and gleefully optimistic T2 was.
>>
>>52087718
>Stubborn
But why?

It's a game about dying, not surviving.
>>
>>52087511
Also to the guy from.the previous thread:

Have a look at TechNoir. It's a narrative cyberpunk/noir RPG where you generate plot "webs" by connecting different types (people, factions, items, events, places, etc.) of "nodes" and then deciding what those connections mean.

For example, you roll up a pair of hitmen, a gang, and a particular gun. You decide that the gun belongs to one of the gang members, but was stolen by the hitmen and used to murder someone, pinning it on the gang.
>>
File: ce6250cb5b981e7635315f6a3d4181bf.jpg (294KB, 1510x600px) Image search: [Google]
ce6250cb5b981e7635315f6a3d4181bf.jpg
294KB, 1510x600px
What sourcebooks etc would you want to run a fantasy/medieval setting game that has characters plucked from the past 2000 years?
>>
File: 1438230549885.jpg (42KB, 512x682px) Image search: [Google]
1438230549885.jpg
42KB, 512x682px
>>52088612
High Tech, Low Tech, Basic Set.

After that you've got options. Fantasy is a good book to read to help nail down the setting, though you won't have to refer to it much in play.

>>52088506

You can also just set up two people in conflict then "yes, and.." yourself into a setting.

Let's sway we start with two powerful crime bosses in a city. One can import drugs, one can sell them. They each covet the other's operation.

And they can't just go to war over it because they work/pay tribute to a higher authority, as barons under the king of the city. They have to work subtily.

You can come out with a dozen different complications, stemming naturally from their personalities.
>>
>>52088612
>Bare Basics
Basic Set, Low Tech, High Tech, duh
>If magic is involved
Sorcery and/or Ritual Path Magic
>Militarised theme
Tactical Shooting (even if there won't be shooting in your game)
>Support material
Infinite Worlds, since this very closely corelates with the premise you give
Dungeon can be helpful if you want to run it adventure style

And most definitely read Low Tech companions, since they cover a LOT of important things regarding running such setting and getting gear.
>>
https://gamingballistic.com/2017

Happy gurpsday!
>>
>>52087035
Thanks, I'll probably just have to homebrew some shit about maintaining spells of I can't find anything.
>>
Is there any way to make tech-related changes described in Infinite Worlds cheaper? Dunno, where you bring tools with yourself or specific diagrams or even instructors with all the materials, so you can easily spread your inventions? I'm not talking about cultural changes, that obviously is harder, but what about know-how and applications of it?
Because the prices get pretty absurd after certain point, while they should start IMHO dropping after certain threshold, due to the sheer scale of things involved.
>>
>>52090541
And adding to this - shouldn't you actually MAKE money rather than SPEND it?

I need this for very specific, particular case. Watermills and waterwheels. It's TL2 tech, but extremely inefficient. TL6 waterwheels are pretty much the maximum efficiency you can push from such source of energy, so obviously it should be also profitable to BUILD them, after all there are all those miller that would gladly use your skills as a constructor, even more so if you could provide them with much more efficent mill.

My GM says I should still pay for this regardless, even if my PC is technically building them, coming with all the required skills AND tools.
>>
What disads define "Tsundere"?
>>
>>52090798
Bipolar
>>
>>52090798
Odious Personal Habit
More seriously though, it's probably just a perk.
>>
File: GURPS Vikings.jpg (82KB, 637x824px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Vikings.jpg
82KB, 637x824px
What are the best setting books for GURPS? Any edition
>>
>>52091765
You already asked it in the previous thread
>>
Might be a bit of an odd question, but where would I look to find rules for managing a town/city, or playing as a landed lord?
>>
>>52092013
No?
>>
>>52088612
There's a 3rd ed book called Warriors that has a bunch of templates which might be useful for you. You'd need to convert them to 4th ed by hand but yeah
>>
>>52092077
Pyramid #3/52 Low Tech II's "Lord of the Manor" takes an in-depth look at being a landed lord; it looks at the lord's total lands, land quality, taxation, and what luxury crops the lord dedicates a portion of their land too to find your total monthly income.

Pyramid #3/54 Social Engineering's "City Management" gives some rules that work alongside City Stats.

Social Engineering: Boardroom and Curia lets PCs build/run organizations. If your chosen "organization" has the Governing tag, you're founding/running a city.

I know there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment. At it's most basic, it's a monthly job roll to not fuck things up.

>>52091765
I.O.U is #0 (it's one better than #1!).
>>
>>52090798
An obsession coupled with a specific distasteful hatred/intolerance of one person.
>>
>>52090798
Intolerance (All; Accessibility, Only to people the character rolled Very Good reaction against).
>>
>>52092395
Thanks, this is just the kind of thing I was looking for.
>>
>>52087822
What if you make it to the sector of an AI that likes humans or doesn't mind them as long as they don't touch its toys?
>>
>>52089886
Wow. The blog scene is not very prolific since Pseudoboo left the scene.
>>
>>52095072
He left?

I stopped doing any writing about GURPS because of his clique. Good to know.
>>
>>52095112
Yes. He stopped posting, seemed to be very burned out in his last post. He even left the Discord server.
>>
>>52095072
>>52095112
>>52095153
Who? What?
>>
>>52095112
>>52095153
Pseudo was too intense. Likely bipolar
>>
>>52095177
Minor drama. Author of Let's GURPS, Pseudboo, published a post every day for months. Then he started crashing hard, which you could see on the Discord because the dude's got some serious issues (prolly bipolar as >>52095683 said), then left. AFAIK nobody's seen hide or hair of him since.
>>
>>52094220
>to the sector of an AI that likes humans
No such Zone exists. Unless you mean Washington, London and Caracas. In case of Washington, it's just using humans as a cheap susbstitute for massive robot army it would have to make otherwise, but it don't need more than... can't recall if it was 30 or 40 millions and anything above that number is deemed pointless. And it's not accepting refugees, since that would mean going against other Zoneminds.
London doesn't hunt people, as long as they stay away from its installations, but it's like sitting in a cage with hungry, completely wild predator that is currently asleep - you have no fucking clue when it will wake up and decide the cage is too small.
Caracas won't try to kill you in an active or passive way, as long as you are at hunter-gatherer tier, don't use fire and generally don't reproduce or make settlements.

Oh, and there is Moscow, which technically can... hire you, but it's a deal with a devil and you are going to die in the end of your asignment or the first second you will try to go against it.
>>
I'm still really baffled by the fact that we have an official template for fucking strike witches
>>
>>52095112
His clique?
>>52095735
Yeah, he was pretty awful. The discord is much better without him.
>>
>>52090541
>>52090590
Creating a TL 6 watermill with TL 2-3 tools and infrastructure would be a tremendous investment of time and resources. You'd need a giant outlay of capital.

Once the mill was operational you'd have a much greater output then any TL 3 watermill, but you'd need years to see a return on your investment.

Ie: Your watermill cost $14,000,000 and will generate $1,000,000 in profit per year of operation. It will make money, but it's going to spend most of twenty years in the red before it does.

If you can get paid to build a watermill for people, and bill them for the cost of it, then you can make immediate profit being a watermill builder. You can't make immediate profit building a watermill for yourself.
>>
>>52096581
>His clique?
Pseudo and a handful of the other writers on the server, including Ghost (or whatever the one Pyramid writer's name was). Most of them were, to say the least, unpleasant to read or listen to, much less actually engage with. Pseudo wasn't the worst, but he was the one that was *always* there and acting as a focal point.
>>
>>52096928
>I have no idea about watermills, but I know GURPS rules: The Post
It's like I was talking with my GM right now.

Let's put that into perspective, shall we?
The three major differences between TL2 and TL6 watermill:
>understanding of fluid mechanics
>overshot instead of undershot
>use of better tools
Now, I've specified that the tools and proper skills and knowledge are in place. So the entire point is about building an overshot waterwheel.
We need for that
>waterwheel with TL6 know-how
that covers proper number of fins, their shape, alignment etc, but it's still a pretty normal waterwheel
>a mill pound or any similar infrastructure
so we basically need a 2 meter high mini-dam to store water behind it

And you act like this is rocket science, while ignoring the stuff I've mentioned already. I have PC with proper tools. I have a PC with proper skills. And I'm building a waterwheel that happens to use actual physics rather than random trial-and-error of TL2.
But in the end it's still a wooden-made wheel turning under the pressure of flowing water.
I'm not building water turbine nor water engine.
Water wheel.

Your post is almost word-by-word what my GM told me already, without even listening to my arguments.
>>
>>52097452
Sorry if this came out angry, but I feel like I'm hitting a wall with this with my GM. I guess this is what you get when your new GM is an English major. Great stories, but shit gets confusing even with game rules themselves and bringing any form of technical stuff ends up with situations like this.
>>
>>52097452
You argument is bad and you should feel bad.
It comes down to convincing your GM, not us. We aren't min readers, and neither is he. Get better at putting a cross your salient points. If they aren't made, they don't exist, no matter how good you think your argument is.
>>
>>52097452
Fuck off pharmacy-fag.
>>
>>52096928
And the best part is how due to the angry ranting I've totally missed the most important part
>If you can get paid to build a watermill for people, and bill them for the cost of it, then you can make immediate profit being a watermill builder.
This is all I've needed.
Thanks.
>>
>>52097514
Nah, we ended up as entire group showing him diagrams and expalining all the technical differences and he still was "Nope, that's TL6, and you are in wrong TL to do that, you can't make profit on it". Even if the point wasn't about building a mill for ourselves (what use does it have for bunch of Patrolmen on vacation), but to make a pretty penny on selling those, buy local stuff and sell it upon hitting home to cover for everything and bribe dispatch officer to cover for our stints.
And the GM basically decided the best way to screw us would be to say "nope, you need to put your funds for that, rather than making them off your skills". And he made a fucking argument that the LTC rules for artisians don't apply, because our PCs aren't from Low Tech setting, but operate in one.

>>52097524
Wut?
>>
>>52097628
*artisans
>>
>>52088506
>Have a look at TechNoir. It's a narrative cyberpunk/noir RPG where you generate plot "webs" by connecting different types (people, factions, items, events, places, etc.) of "nodes" and then deciding what those connections mean.

THANK YOU, This is basically what I was looking for!
>>
>>52097172
Oh yeah. He also wasted a ton of time on that useless pseudobot and the automatic CER calculations on the GCalc. Glad he's gone. He was probably a furry or something too.
>>
Is there any good repositories/sources of fan made stuff, specifically sci fi? I just went to try to look up Icelanders ultratech weapon variants but it's apparently 404 now, and I'd like to have some premade options to consult
>>
>>52097452
>>52097506

A TL 6 Mill is going to use a steel overshot wheel and toothed gears for most power transmission. It's going to more efficiently use energy, and it's going to harvest a whole fuck of a lot more. A whole textile, sugar, flour, wood or rice factory can be run of a mill wheel that can turn out 150 kilowatts. They can also power drop hammers, blast furnaces or other industrial equipment.

A TL 3 Mill will use an undershot or weird sideways wheel, unless it's trying to use a small amount of water with plenty of head. In that case, it can be made at TL 3 in an overshot design. The wheel will be made from wood and power will be transmitted by ropes or leather belts.

It's going to use the water less efficiently, though not much if it's a good overshot design, but the real difference is that it's going to harvest far less energy. A "big" mill might make 3 kilowatts. Damn rare to see them used for anything but milling grain.

Without steel in amounts no TL 3 system could produce economically you simply can't build a TL 6 mill, full stop.
>>
>>52099751
Why I can't replace steel with iron/bronze/copper to get lesser output than TL6 but still being more effective than TL3?
>>
>>52099995
You can make it out of styrofoam if you are willing to make it much smaller. Steel is because it's strong as fuck and can handle the energy involved in the transmission. Really >>52099751
is wrong, in that if you are willing to make a watermill that only produces 5 kW you don't need steel gears.
>>
>>52087213
>>52087260
Same fag
>>
File: Disgusting.gif (905KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.gif
905KB, 240x228px
>>52099751
>Without steel in amounts no TL 3 system could produce economically you simply can't build a TL 6 mill, full stop.
This is not your everyday wrong
>>
>>52099995
You can use bronze and/or cast iron, both being accessable AND well-suited for this shit with TL3

And he's wrong. You can use nothing but wood and brass and you will get easily 20 kilowatts, which is much more than you are going to need with just about any TL3 contraption.
In fact, just making it overshot wheel with properly shaped paddles you can increase the efficiency almost threefold against the exact same design, but undershot.
>>
>>52096581
>Yeah, he was pretty awful.
??

>The discord is much better without him.
??????

explain
>>
>>52100842
It's still a TL 3 watermill if you just make it overshot. Overshot wheels aren't really more advanced then undershot or sideways wheels. Just different. If you have minimal head and just wanna use current to drive a wheel it isn't as useful.

>>52096928

Kinda gets to the nature of skilled labor. You are adding value to raw materials and a bit of land if you are a skilled builder.
>>
File: absolutely.jpg (239KB, 1044x770px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely.jpg
239KB, 1044x770px
>>52104510
>Overshot wheels aren't really more advanced then undershot or sideways wheels
Why you keep being wrong?
>>
>>52086971
How many point I would get from Delusion: "Believe that GURPS is a good RPG."?
>>
>>52102721
t. Ghostdancer
>>
>>52104638
>>
File: 1486209523562.jpg (88KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1486209523562.jpg
88KB, 630x630px
Firefly: The Verse tonight!
We've had a shuffle and the player who opted to ingame captain needs to bow out due to scheduling conflicts.

Now begins his dramatic exit stage left ingame as well. Luckily he took weirdness magnet, so writing him out might rely on entirely plausible Deus ex machina.
>>
Are there any GURPS books which detail adventuring in cities like DF 16: Wilderness does with the outdoors?
>>
>>52108892
Yup. What specifics do you have? Or just city life as such?
>>
>>52109194
I dont really have anything specific in mind. I already have City Stats but thats more for building up cities than adventurinig through them.

I guess I like how DF16 expands on the survival skill and maybe if something similar is done for urban survival that would be what I am looking for
>>
>>52110365
Oh Jesus... I'm 100% sure it was somewhere in Pyramid, but I have no clue which issue.
>>
If I have a reach 1 weapon, and I declare a Wait to do an Attack that triggers when a horseman gets within Step and Attack range, but the horseman has a range 2 weapon, do I still get to interrupt his turn?

On a similar note, how does the "range affects vertical distance" rules work? Does it mean that if I'm 3 feet higher than my opponent, and I have a range 2 weapon, my opponent still has all his penalties, and I still enjoy the benefits and none of the penalties for height?
>>
>>52112650
Shouldn't your range be within that height, thus making it a moot point? So... yeah, you have all the pros without cons
>>
Can somebody give me a quick rundown on what settings GURPS runs best in? I saw the book at a LGS and I almost picked it up just because I'd seen it on here so many times, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons first.
Also, I was thinking of running a Fallout game, would this be a good book to use?
>>
>>52112826
GURPS is good at human beings, being shot, and encountering real hazards. It can also do supernatural stuff, but it can be a bit wonky in super futures.

I'd say Skyrim to fallout to Harry dresden
>>
>>52112725
That's what I was thinking.
>>
>>52112826
>Best
Pretty much anything. No, really. The game only has issues if you want to run Ultra-Tech (so all sort of sci-fi stuff), since it was the only series of books that weren't really generic and instead focused on specific possibility of tech development.

>Fallout
Sure, Basic Set should be enough, but if you are planning to run it for a loooong while, hefty helping from following can be applied:
Tactical Shooting (duh), High Tech, Low Tech and Powers. Martial Arts might be useful if you seriously want to incorporate extensive melee, since it's what? TL9 guns vs fists and improvised swords?
>>
>>52112826
GURPS was originally intended for Fallout, so it's a good fit. After the End 1 & 2 are the post-apocalypse books you'll want. How to be a GURPS GM and Action 2 are both really good books for advice on how to tackle GURPS.

GURPS works best with games that aren't more unrealistic/cinematic than, say, Mission Impossible, or the X-Men. It excels at doing modern day games, and I think it excels at low-tech games as well (think middle ages, with or without magic). It'll certainly do Fallout well, especially with the AtE books.
>>
Are there any NON-cinematic rules for whips?
>>
hey gurps general I need some advice for running a game.

It's gonna like a very anime style fantasy game with magitech over like a more traditional medieval fantasy setting. Like any good battle shonen players are gonna start with some of their weeb fighting moves and inmprove or pull new moves out their ass.

Right so what books should I get? I'm thinking maybe the powers one, martial arts, and the book for the faster more cinematic combat. Any books that would be good for letting me design all sorts of monsters especially big ones?
>>
>>52112935
GURPS came out WAY before Fallout, buddy.
>>
>>52113015
Just Powers, really. At your level of cinematic, techniques kind of fall by the wayside in favor of advantages, and extra combat option (while fun) can slow games down and it sounds like you're planning on going superfast, so Martial Arts will be of limited use at best. Action 2/3 is the go-to for out-of-the-box fast action and combat.

Monster Design can be done entirely from the Basic Set (plus Powers if you're already using that book).
>>
>>52113037
I think he meant to say GUPRS was originally intended to be used in Fallout before the devs scrapped it in favor of SPECIAL.
>>
>>52113037
What he means is "fallout 1 would run on GURPS, until the game studio pulled out of the agreement and built special instead"
>>
Guess what you awful little dweebs GURPS IS STUPID!!!!
>>
>>52113015
Powers + Martial Arts and you should be good.
>>
>>52113158
Ian get the fuck out your shitposting is trash.
>>
>>52113167
Power ups:Imbuments might also be good.
It let's your hero's use powers on their equipment, and swap out equipment without having to rebuild powers. Great for paladin smites, flaming kensai, and shadow ninja warrior blades, etc
>>
>>52113088
Ahh but doesn't martial arts let you build your own special techniques/maneuvers which I could then mash up with powers for special moves nonsense that is native to the genre?

Like say a player wants a move that's allows him to like throw semi-homing energy draggers that explode into ice or something.

Like if it will help the way the magic/powers work in this setting is that you have like 4 canon applications as recognized in the game lore: Imbuement via special weapons, "Zapping" (which is a like cousin of construction as they both harnass the raw energy), buffing yourself, and what's called construction. Construction being creating stuff like say a lightsaber of the energy or making constructs to fight on your behalf.

Also what does the extra combat option do?
>>
>>52113296
Construction sounds like Control/Create from powers
>>
>>52113296
>extra combat option
Martial arts opens up a bunch of little things to do in Melee that are fun, but can be a bit technical after awhile
>>
File: GURPS_Fallout_compilation[1].pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS_Fallout_compilation[1].pdf
7MB, 1x1px
Have any of you played this?
Thoughts?
>>
>>52113296
Your example ability is Cutting Attack (Guided; Explosive) and does not require MA to be built or function; ultimately, though, it's your call to include Martial Arts or not. I don't think it will be that useful, but I'm not the one GMing the game.

>>52113357
I'd go with a (somewhat) limited Modular Abilities that grants advantages that *have* to have Gadget limitations (for creating objects) or Ally (for creating energy constructs). Imbuement are, well, Imbuements, with the special weapon acting as either a Gadgetized Imbue advantage or some trigger for Imbue's Accessibility limitation. Zapping is various flavors of Innate Attack, and buffs are all self-targeting beneficial Afflictions.
>>
>>52112826
I've ran all my fallout games in GURPS, and it's worked great for that.
>>
>>52113374
>52113536
I see

But anyway if I want to like flashy attack moves that do a bunch of stuff would just the powers book and the imbuments book work?

Also what is martial arts good for? I assumed to toss that for technique building cuz techniques are anime as fuck and I'd figure one guy would want to do sword tricks.
>>
>>52113496
I'm using it as inspiration for my Fallout campaign i'm working on.
>>
>>52112725
Wait. Are you implying that height difference accounts towards range?
>>
So what is the martial arts technique creation thing good for?
>>
>>52115051
"Creating techniques is primarily for GMs" though your GM could allow you to create your own techniques.

You might be meaning Styles, which is a template of skills, techniques, and perks (on top of allowing you to buy a combat perk for every 10 points spent on a Style's skills and techniques, instead of just one perk every 20 points spent on any combat skills)

If you DO mean technique creation, then it's good for creating any sort of technique that isn't in Martial Arts. Like if a race of people have four arms instead of two, there might be new techniques that require four arms.
>>
There doesn't seem to be a Game Finder thread up. Anyone running a GURPS game, and wants another player? I'm not picky about style or genre; I'll play almost anything
>>
>>52115772
Are you free sunday nights at 8pm est?
>>
>>52115864
Yeah, I am. What are you running?
>>
>>52115772
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70300/gurps-interregnum

I've one spot left.
>>
>>52115898
>exactly my time zone
>i'm in an irl gurps game at the exact same time and date
>>
>>52115881
It's a TL4 low-fantasy sandbox-turned-adventure game. Right now the remaining two players (two left) just got sponsored 25k to go find and loot a burial mound that's rumored to exist in the major forest on the continent. The party really needs a hunter-type character or a doctor in order to make the journey less dangerous, but another fighter would fit too, especially one with hunting skills.
>>
>>52115928
Just bring tablet with you so you can play while you play
>>
>>52115987
I'd like to mention why two players left. One left without saying anything. He actually left the game of one of the other players in the same fashion. The other left because of college obligations.
>>
>>52115987
Posting on the page now
>>
>>52116023
P-page? No. We gotta discord you can join. Just PM this user on roll20.

https://app.roll20.net/users/977732/elaxter
>>
>>52116008
Finally, I have found a way to be a bad, distracted player in two games at once.
>>
>>52105022
Has stopped gurps ing?

I liked some of his articles.
>>
>>52116246
Ghostdancer is still in the discord. He's my senpai
>>
>>52116259
Can I get the gurps discord link?
>>
>>52116284
https://discord.gg/Pr3u6
>>
Okay /gurpsgen/ wanna halp me world build?

I'm making a one shot in the traveller: IW setting. Basically a group of Security Contractors under Behmer AG are sent to a client's Fission Power Plant construction site to clear out some Hive Hawks (Pyramid #6) who have been encroaching on the site and attacking workers.

Generally it will be a sci-fi one shot dungeon-esque crawler where the PCs can
get involved in some local politics as side-quests.

The action will take place in a small industrial town (100k) that houses the employees of
several corporations with mining and other
industrial interests. Its mostly a ghost town, considering the TL (10), with a Behmer AG (AKA 'The Bag') outpost handling policing and constabulary duties.

The surounding terrain is arid and actually mostly desert, with large buttes and rock formations scattered throughout.

The enemies will be holed up in a cave in one of these rock formations, which is up to the players to locate and raid. (this is kind of where the dungeon crawler aspect comes in)

I don't want to make it too complicated, so rules wise I want to stick mostly to the Basic Set, Action and maybe social engineering? Or what would the fa/tg/uy squad suggest for local polit and corporate skull duggery?

Oh of course I will take a lot from the Traveller: IW, but Most of those extra rules in there will be left out. And prob city stats and Adventures in the Underground for inspiration.

Any tips on how to flesh out the rest of the world? So far I have in mind:
>City Stats for the Mining town
>Char profiles for Local important NPCs
>Enemy NPC quick sheets
>map of local area
>descriptions of important places, people, things

What Im not so decided on
>Hex grid of dungeon
>local political web of intrigue
>mini adventure seeds in town.

Since this is a one shot, chars will have a list of classes to choose from and Standard Issue equipment.

I guess thats it, any advice/tips would be great, thansk!
>>
>>52117996
>one shot
>Fleshing out
Why?
>>
>>52113496
I dislike it and consider it only useful for vague inspiration, and very occasionally some direct conversion to 4e.
>>
>>52118218
Coz make GM work for him.
>>
>>52118218
he could be using the one-shot to see if his world functions session by session.
>>
>>52112935
You've got it backwards dude. GURPS was the original system used during the development of Fallout, but GURPS has been around since the mid-late 80s.
>>
File: tmp_22676-black-cat-1350421221.jpg (119KB, 640x506px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22676-black-cat-1350421221.jpg
119KB, 640x506px
>>52108583
So, today/yesterday on the verse, we finally reached the planet this convoluted job has lead us to.
Our daredevil pilotmanaged to not kill us with crazy piloting that the ship was not made to do with a full cargo load.
The captain had some nightmares, and started acting funny.
The location we were sent to docked with us, so we sent a boarding party of everyone but the pilot.
The boarding party finds evidence of violence, and a long dead man. Behind a locked door a bunch of hmgs.
And then we left off with something opening loudly and laughter, insane laughter.
So we may be in trouble.
>>
File: tmp_22676-DOSSIER-825346145.gif (100KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22676-DOSSIER-825346145.gif
100KB, 640x480px
>>52118557
Yep but Steve Jackson did not like the amount of violence in the game and pulled the licenseshortly before release, so they rushed and made the special system to take its place, there are screen shots of the gurps sheets from the early builds of the game.
Makes me wonder if gurps would be more popular if that had not happened.
>>
>>52119440
No.
They never said anything about it, neither did Interplay, all they said was "Fallout won't use GURPS" and nothing else.
>>
>>52119440
>Yep but Steve Jackson did not like the amount of violence in the game and pulled the licenseshortly before release
Sauce on this? I've never heard this before, and I'm a huge fan of older Fallout games.
>>
>>52119440
>Makes me wonder if gurps would be more popular if that had not happened
Of course it would be. Surge of popularity toward D&D in late 90s/early 00s (before 3rd ed was released) was generated chiefly by all the vidya using D&D - it became a home brand for dozens of people who never before even touched tabletops.
>>
>>52119440
>ep but Steve Jackson did not like the amount of violence in the game and pulled the licenseshortly before release,

Not quite - they were concerned about the demo, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

But Interplay didn't reply until suddenly cutting ties and revealing their SPECIAL system.
>>
>>52119510
>>52120251
>>52119458
At least it's better than the version that is told in Russia - that GURPS license was pulled due to execution scene of Canadian in opening, because Steve Jackson was Canadian himself.
>>
>>52120349
>Steve Jackson was Canadian himself
But Steve is American, doesn't he?
>>
>>52120470
If I' right, he's not just average burger, but Texas burger.
>>
>>52120579
The rumor might be from Kromm being a leaf. Rumors are like a game of Telephone, so it's not a stretch to assume Canadian head dev for 4e > Important Canadian at SJG > SJG has a Canadian boss.
>>
>>52120470
That's the point. Someone said a dumb thing (I think it was in gaming magazine), and then everyone is repeating it.
>>
I'm planning to run a heroic Iron Age game with my players and while discussing characters and details today at meeting, we realised we don't know which TL should be used.
We want to have an early Iron Age, right where it starts, so going directly for TL2 would be a massive stretch, since it fits better times around 300 BC and later, while we want to have the game set around 1100-1000 BC. Should it be then TL1? Or TL1+1? Or depending on skill, TL1 and TL2?
>>
Should Hanseatic merchant owning a cog have Wealth I or II?
>>
>>52121588
To 1+1.
Everybody is 1, but some places have proper forges and equipment, tools and such, and are TL2
>>
>>52121708
If he bought it outright? Depends on how much it costs and how much that gives him.

There's alternatives. You could treat the boat as a patron, as signature gear, or as an ally.
>>
File: rusty_ship_interior_by_vonmurder.jpg (164KB, 1184x674px) Image search: [Google]
rusty_ship_interior_by_vonmurder.jpg
164KB, 1184x674px
>>52119401
It's gonna be a good time in The Verse
Here's hoping the White Lotus isn't the end of you all
>>
>>52121752
Thanks a bunch! I always have problems with borderline cases if they should be already higher level or just +1
>>
>>52122006
>Those window sweepers
... why?!
>>
>>52122059
Condensation on the inside?
Maybe on the outside, who knows?
Serenity had them in the movie...
>>
>>52121819
He inherited it from his uncle. And I'm making the character for incoming campaign. GM allowed for that, but said I need to pick proper wealth level. So I'm not sure if I should take into account the fact the character is just a merchant (which would be Wealth I) or the fact he also owns what is an average trading ship of the region and TL (which would be Wealth II I guess)
>>
>>52122292
Well, if your GM has a specific idea for what wealth level you need, best source will be HIM and what HE thinks is appropriate.

Were smart, but not mind readers
>>
>>52122204
I was talking about the fact how badly placed they are and how absurdly inefficient they are. In such windows all you need is a bus-style sweepers. You know, the long, vertical ones, mounted on the bridges between glass panels.
>>
>>52122422
He told me to do it myself. And I'm not mind-reader either, so I don't know what he expect from me or what he wants at all, since he kept on ignoring my questions about it. I just know the ship wasn't bought by the character, thus is should be under... I think it's called Iconic Gear or something like that. But it doesn't affect Wealth as far as I'm concerned.
Hence the question to GURPSGEN if it should be Wealth I fitting the character as is (local merchant) or being adjusted by the ship to Wealth II (since, duh, ship)
>>
>>52122493
Implying your ship can't be part of your status cost of living
>>
>>52122544
Not him, but it literally can't, if it's under Signature Gear.
The classic example - you can be Han Solo, with Struggling Wealth and in the same time own the Millennium Falcon
>>
>>52118218
This >>52118503

Pretty much I want to run it as a one shot becuase peopl are kind of flakey online, me included. So I shouldn't feel bad if the game has to unexpectedly end in a session or two, but if things work out well I would like to progress into a campaign...

So any ideas you guys want to contribute? I would much appreciate it.
>>
>>52122641
Okay, what about a simple vehicle, like a car or wagon and horse, would that be included in SoL? I remember reading in the BS that status 0 usually includes a mortgaged home and a car as part of the cost of living.
>>
>>52122691
>status 0 usually includes a mortgaged home and a car as part of the cost of living
Only if your campaign takes place in TL8 US of A
>>
>>52122717
Or TL7, to be fair, maybe even late TL6.
>>
>>52122673
You have to find a community, or make a group of friends. So that people who flake at games are laughed off. This deters others from flaking too.
>>
How would one add Hyperspectral vision in the form of passive sensors as a computer program?
>>
>>52122890
So the [person/character] is the one buying hyperspectral vision, and they are a computer program/ai entity?
>>
>>52122733
No, this is most definitely a description of TL8, since it talks about "average" situation of average person under Reaganomics. Thus - the start of TL8
>>
>>52122912
Its a computer software program using display glasses as a terminal.

So I'm wondering what complexity it should be.

Something akin to a combat suit helm at TL9+
>>
Let's assume your character is a scientist or researcher, doing research in natural sciences. Can you benefit from having Accounting skill along Math (Applied) or is Accounting solely for business book-keeping?
>>
>>52122995
Shouldn't it depends on capabilities of sensor rather than on software?
>>
What is the best online tabletop for GURPS?
Maptools or Roll20?
>>
>>52123020
The sensor is the computer.
>>
>>52123004
As a complimentary skill, and the GM allows it, yeah.

I think the rules for comp skills are in Action: Exploits
>>
>>52123029
I prefer roll20

>>52123040
Oh? So the computer has an accessory piece?
>>
>>52123004
And adding to this - for drawing diagrams and simplified, basic schematics, do you need Artist (Drawing) or it only helps their quality?
>>
>>52123052
Yes Display glasses as terminal.
>>
>>52123078
Right, so if there is a parallel device in Ultratech, buy it and apply the bonuses.

If your GM requires you pay points for the advantage, limit it with gadget modifiers appropriate for the thing and pay the points.
>>
Is it possible to make the transition from dnd to gurps?

Also when is the fantasy book coming out? maybe i will buy it
>>
>>52123768
I heard August, but umthats just a standalone version of the existing Dungeon Fantasy series. That series plus the Basic Set is AD&D enough that it makes transition from D&D easier.
>>
>>52123768
Dungeon fantasy already exists; the Kickstarter just binds together all the existing stuff into one nice book
>>
>>52124062
>>52123964
So it will add nothing new? then what i need to play it?
>>
>>52124164
Basic Set (Characters & Campaigns), Dungeon Fantasy 1, and Dungeon Fantasy 2. Dungeon Fantasy 16 is helpful for outdoor adventures, and Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1, 2, and 3 have ready-made monsters you can use.
>>
>>52124284
Is it worth? i dont know much about gurps
>>
>>52124392
Download GURPS Lite and give it a shot, it's free.
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-lite-fourth-edition

Then, if it captures your interest, get the Basic Set and Dungeon Fantasy 1. If Basic Set seems hard to read, get How to Be a GURPS GM and use it to guide you.
>>
Anyone here have tried EABA? looks quite interesting
>>
>>52124392
If you want to play AD&D type games all you need is the Basic Set, Dungeon Fantasy 1 & 2.

Fantasy is more for homebrew settings.
>>
What are good advantages for natural scientist? You know, the Low Tech "science guy"? I'm not talking skills, but advantages
>>
>>52124440
if i am interested in playing games with the typical high fantasy settings? what do i need?

Also just a question for all the gurps lovers, why gurps?and why choose it over other systems, was it your first one?
>>
>>52124575
Low Tech, Martial Arts, Sorcery and/or Ritual Path Magic might be highly useful for you. Especially the last two, since Basic Set magic is pretty meh, while Sorcery and RPM kick asses and take names.

Why GURPS?
It has Generic & Universal in the name and actually is that. I can do whatever the fuck I want to do with it and it's gonna work and mesh together without anything else than combining ideas I want to combine and consulting the books or even using solely Basic Set for that. Hell, you can use Lite for that and it still works.

The biggest paradox is that I was driven to GURPS, generic game, by one of its premade settings, Reign of Steel. Which is anything, but generic, being basically grim (but not exactly dark) Terminator-like sci-fi.
From there I've learned about existence of Infinite Worlds setting and this was it. I could play whatever the fuck I wanted with the game at hand. I didn't have to master new game each time I was planning to run new game, since I had one system at hand and it could run literally everything, often within single game (like Infinite Worlds, where there is nothing wrong in having in the same campaign heroic high fantasy with high magic and bunch of laser-rifle totting mercenaries)
>>
File: teJNh8s.png (271KB, 450x442px) Image search: [Google]
teJNh8s.png
271KB, 450x442px
>>52124554
Outdoorsman talent at least

the rest depends on : Magic, cinematic capability, and how close you hone to realism
>>
>>52124675
Sorry for not being specific, late TL4, early Englightment, in realistic setting, no magic. If you ever read Baroque Cycle, that's more or less where I'm aiming and what our GM wants to run.
>>
>>52124727
Throwing some out there that could be useful to a guy who goes on expeditions to unknown lands, studies plants, tries to grow exotic specimens in a greenhouse for further study, and so on: Discriminatory Smell, Fit or Very Fit, Green Thumb, maybe Immune to common plant toxins and poisons, Intuition, maybe Plant Empathy.

High IQ and Botany-TL4 go without saying.
>>
File: Reaver_s_2.jpg (22KB, 544x321px) Image search: [Google]
Reaver_s_2.jpg
22KB, 544x321px
>>52119401
>Kill you, rape you, and eat you
>And if you are very lucky they will do it in that order.
>>
>>52124727
I know you want advantages, but remember to have Alchemy skill, even if you already have Chemistry and Physics. It can even be lower than those two, but it's still fitting
>>
File: wn377-171.jpg (661KB, 1086x1650px) Image search: [Google]
wn377-171.jpg
661KB, 1086x1650px
>>52124873

Artist (Drawing) for botanical illustrations!
>>
Is there any crash course or easy-to-handle way for making racial templates for fantasy games?
>>
>>52121588
>>52121752
One more thing for clarification. Since the TL is 1+1, does it count as 2 for specific skills? Or do characters need High TL adv if they have some skill at TL2?
>>
>>52125058
>does it count as 2 for specific skills
depends on where that person trained them, but yeah. Run the game as overall TL 2. If anyone is behind, they take the disadvantage Low Tl [-5], and in the niche cases they train up a high TL skill, follow those rules
>>
File: CwIHBAtXEAAj0ed.jpg (53KB, 570x858px) Image search: [Google]
CwIHBAtXEAAj0ed.jpg
53KB, 570x858px
>>52125039
Maximum easy is to just lift them out of Chapter 6 of GURPS fantasy.

The second easy way is to just remember that a fantasy race is just a collection of advantages, disadvantages and zero point traits like base Size Modifier.

Avoid the temptation to put too many non-exotic/supernatural advantages into a race, as it inflates the point cost for things that players can chose to have anyway.

Try to avoid making any race the obvious or only choice for some roles, unless you see "the only good mages are elves" or "the only person with any business being a warrior is dark orcs" as interesting ideas for your setting.
>>
>>52124575
I use GURPS because it can run and supports most everything. If I want great detail and support for mechanics no matter what game GURPS can do it, and well. Often times I'll run Savage Worlds for groups the first couple of sessions to gauge what kind of game they're looking for. If they want more complexity and abilities then I might just jump straight to GURPS. If your shooter wants .50 BMG explosive rounds, HIgh Tech has that. Do you want an ambush predator ooze that shoots toxic sludge, Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 has what you want, and can even generate a completely random ooze for you. What treasure does the ooze drop? Dungeon Fantasy 8 Treasure Tables has what you want to completely make shit up and make something interesting. GURPS is great for me because it has support. Are you confused on Medieval Economics? Low Tech can tell you all you need to know and more.

For High Fantasy I have to recommend Dungeon Fantasy. I'm a total fanboi when I say they are the foundation of my current campaign. RPM can be hard for a first time DM to run, so I wouldnt recommend it unless you can seriously master it with whoever might be using it at the table. The basic magic system kind of sucks but it does work in a pretty boring and simple way. You might want to skim the Fantasy supplement but you wont be using it for anything at the table, its just a good overview of what to do with a setting and answering questions you might ask yourself like "why dont mages grow a ton of food for everybody" or "why is a race of sentient fire people cool"
>>
>>52125176
>>52125039
There are also a lot of Racial Templates in Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level.
>>
>>52124727
Single-Minded, especially when combined with Observation and Research checks, works wonders.
>>
When a rule says "turn" (e.g. how long shock lasts, how long it takes to perform a Whirlwind Attack) do they mean one second or one maneuver?
>>
>>52119458
>>52120251
>>52119510
Scott Cambel wrote about it, it was apparently issues over the execution of the Canadian in the opening, and the vault boy. Assuming he was telling the truth well there you have it.
>>
>>52125422
B363:
A given participant’s turn is the
one-second period that stretches
from when he chooses a maneuver
until his next opportunity to select a
maneuver. This overlaps the turns of
other characters.
>>
>>52124903
Those are just stories people on the rim say to scare people.
>>
>>52125439
Assuming you're telling the truth.
>>
>>52125176

Let's say you want to create a race of lupine beastmen, born of human and monsters.

Let's start at Size Modifier 0. We can note that they run to the large size and that Giantism is a common trait among them, but not required.

Next, stats. ST +2 (20), IQ -1 (-20) and HT + 1 (10) gives us a robust and physically powerful race.

For advantages, let's go with the Periceing Voice perk (1) for howling, braying and yelling, Teeth (Sharp) for (1) for biting, Fur (1) and Discriminatory Scent (15) and Low Light Vision (2) for sharp senses.

Let's give them Social Stigma (Beast-blooded) as a version of (Minority Group) for (-10). This gives them +2 with others of their kind and -2 reactions from everyone else and Appearance (Ugly) (-8) to reflect that humans don't like the looks of them much. The result is a punishing -4 reaction from many people, a case where two flaws add up to be more painful then they would be alone.

DR 1 (Tough Skin) for (3) makes sense for them, then..

I kind of want Regeneration, but it's pretty expensive. Instead let's take Rapid Healing (5) and a (1) Unusual Background perk.

Bestial Nature: May upgrade Rapid Healing to Regeneration (Regular) with Bane (Silver, Burning damage) for (5). May increase DR by 1 (3) and Low Light Vision to 5 (1 point/level)

This helps define where a player can go as they advance.

Our total cost is 20 points. We've likely made a race that is a little too good for low point cost games, partly because of the options Beastial Nature unlocks, but one that could be a lot of fun to play and scary to fight.
>>
I've got 1 point left. Quick! Give a Robinson-esque character a strange skill that might be useful!
>>
>>52125439
Who?
Is it someone that worked at SJG or Black Isles at the time?
>>
File: tumblr_o6mvrgJmG11rnui1jo1_1280.jpg (249KB, 1280x829px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6mvrgJmG11rnui1jo1_1280.jpg
249KB, 1280x829px
>>52125554
Carpentry, Chemistry, Weaving, Knife, Masonry, Blacksmith.
>>
Can Prospecting be used to search for water and places good for digging wells or you should rather use Geology?
Or both?
>>
>>52125446
I saw that, but the FAQ implies that Whirlwind Attack only takes a maneuver, not a second, ( http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.20 ), but it's listed as taking an entire turn. I'm thinking of just handling whether ATR lets you do certain tasks faster on a case by case basis.
>>
File: 1481139403761.jpg (247KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1481139403761.jpg
247KB, 768x1024px
>>52125550
>>
>>52125654
>Strange
>Basic artisan skills
>>
>>52125680
Its a special All out attack
>>
File: 3712-934x.jpg (61KB, 800x706px) Image search: [Google]
3712-934x.jpg
61KB, 800x706px
>>52125665
Prospecting can be used to locate conditions where you should find water, so can Geology and Survival.

GURPS skills overlap.
>>
>>52125781
I know they overlap, but I happen to have a character with Geology 10, Prospecting 14 and Survival (Mountains) (Woodland) 11 each and neither of them applying, since it's rocky semi-desert plain.
So guess why I'm asking about Prospecting
>>
>>52125781
I'd say that you'd be at -2 to all of them to find water in arid, rocky plains, so you might as well use Prospecting for SL 12.
>>
>>52125584
One of the core designers of fallout 1 from Black Isle.
>>
>>52125840
>neither of them applying
survival defaults to one another man
>>
>>52125584
Let's say he's a guy who singlehandly created 2/3 of setting and story for first Fallout and was still crucial when working on F2.
And like all dudes like that, he barely get credit for his work, being marginalised at best, forgotten at worst.
>>
>>52125900
... with -3 penalty
Giving me 8.
Even my Geology is higher than that.
>>
>>52125532
I had to find it on the way back machine but here it is.

>GURPS becomes a problem

>So, Leonard and Jason had just completed the opening movie for the game. It was a slow pan-out from an old 50's style black and white television showing quick documentary style scenes that silently gave the player an idea of the dystopian future they were about to step into. In one of these quick scenes, two soldiers in power-armor shoot a kneeling and unarmed man in the back of the head, and then gleefully wave to the camera. It was a tiny scene, but one that let you know that you were about to play a violent game. We all liked the movie and, just to keep Steve Jackson Games in the loop, a copy was sent to them.

>And then it happened. The response came back Unapproved. The reason? They stated that The movie was too violent.

>Whaaaaa? Too Violent!? Haven't they been looking at the game we'd been making!? There was blood and violence all over the place! We had Head Of Gore Technology! You could split people in two with a chainsaw for chrissake!

>Apparently they hadn't been looking at the game we'd been making. All of that The more violence the better stuff was long forgotten. With that rejection it became apparent the game would need dramatic changes to get approval from our IP holder.

>A decision had to be made: Keep GURPS, abandoning our creative freedom and yielding to the mercurial whims of the licensor or throw out all of the mechanics and interface we made functional in the game and start over.

>And thus, the SPECIAL System was born, and both problems, IP rights and overly complex game system, were removed in one stroke.

>The SPECIAL system was almost identical to the GURPS-Lite system that we had been implementing, so in the end, what could have been a big setback was in actuality an enormous boon.

Here is the full article, excerpt is from page 6
https://web.archive.org/web/20151005013337/http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=60785
>>
>>52125988
No shit. GURPS own damn fault they didnt get tied to one of the most popular game franchises to come out of the nineties. WTF
>>
>>52126095
My source was questioned so I posted it.
>>
>>52095772
>Oh, and there is Moscow, which technically can... hire you, but it's a deal with a devil and you are going to die in the end of your asignment or the first second you will try to go against it.

So basically shills?
>>
>>52125988

Yeeeeaah, that really doesn't sound like GURPS was oppressing their creative freedom, so much as they used it as an excuse to push for SPECIAL and cut them out without talking about it.
>>
>>52125988
Holyshit Steve Jackson said that the intro for fallout was to violent? This is coming from the guy whose company published Reign of Steel? A setting where death camps and body horror is a common occurrence? Jesus Christ I cannot believe Steve Jackson's incompetence. The fact that GURPS isn't one of the biggest systems around is his own goddamn fault.
>>
>>52126221
may have a counterpoint
>>52126221
it may have been reaaaaaly good spin on a dick move by black isle
>>
>>52125988
>How to not pay for license after realising it will take 12% of all your profits?
>Make sure you piss offf the lincense holder
>Then easily spin the story how the license holder was censoring you, oppressed your artistic decisions and wanted to push their agenda
>Keep that 12% of profit for yourself
>Go bankrupt anyway, because you are shit at making financial decisions while selling the hottest games
Karma in its finest. But then again, Fargo in the end is still clean of that entire mess, so I guess the lighting struck in the wrong place
>>
>>52126182
The deal with Moscow Zonemind is simple - you are hired to find and retrive interesting human artifacts: art pieces, rare books, stuff like that. And as part of not killing you on spot, but making sure you remain loyal to your task and "employer", you are planted with explosives and a tracker.
Move a little strange, a little sudden, you're gonna get a detonation. Not a warning, not a question. A detonation.

Which you are going to get anyway after retriving the artifacts in question, unless you turn out to be (for now) an irreplacable asset.
>>
>>52126297
They also already had Autoduel by then, and Cyberpunk and Conan. All rather violent. And Reich-5.
But having it written's still different from the video. Or maybe the soldier waving happily was a problem after all. That makes it way worse than the scene would be without.
>>
>>52126297
Daily reminder they had to pay 12% of their profit AND a licensing fee upright if they would publish the game with GURPS.
Guess what happend for real, rather than the whole "the GURPS guys panicked"
>>
>>52126330
>good spin on a dick move by black isle
Brian Fargo is more or less (in)famous for pulling that sort of stuff. Infamous among people who know of him and don't worship the very ground he walks upon, at least.

Have you been following the recently released Torment: Tides of Numenera spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment?
There's a LOT of content that was promised (and if you play the game, occasionally very clearly planned) but that was cut in order to "improve the flow and storytelling of the game".
Nine recruitable NPC's cut down to six, Focus, which is arguably the most important part of making your character unique, were cut down from over 50 in the tabletop to "we will add more later" to a total of... 3 in the finished game... And they provide only a fraction of the effects.

If it was anyone else doing it, the end results would be fucking farcical. Not so when Fargo is involved, all the arguably bad decisions were done for the greater good.
>>
>>52126469
>>52126606
These

Every single game that has Fargo involved has a 90% chance of being or pulling some sort of scam on any third-party and/or clients involved.

SJG had no problems with Fallout aside Black Isle being behind with payment for license.
>>
>>52125554
I'm not sure who Robinson is, but I always recommend Administration. " A successful
Administration roll gives you a +2 reaction bonus when dealing with a bureaucrat, and allows you to predict the best way to go about dealing with a bureaucracy."

Administration OP
>>
File: 27d.jpg (67KB, 846x846px) Image search: [Google]
27d.jpg
67KB, 846x846px
>>52126914
>I'm not sure who Robinson is
>who Robinson is
Not him, but please tell me you are joking
>>
>>52126943
"Robinson" is a very common name.
>>
>>52127008
Swiss family robinson
robinson crusoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Crusoe
>>
>>52127008
https://youtu.be/9C1BCAgu2I8
>>
>>52126606
Fargo in GURPS:
As a game maker and company head: 9 Administration, 11 Computer Programming and Writing.
But in the same time as Fargo, from those Fargos: 14 Performance and Market Analysis, 16 Propaganda, 13 Accounting and 15 Finance. All combined with Business Acumen II and Smooth Operator I

And the worst part - you can't really hate him for what he does, because he is pretty open about being businessman first and second, game designer third.
But I'm still salty he worked a way around to kick GURPS out of Fallout.
>>
>>52126914
Out of curiosity I've started putting Robinson into googles. At Robins- it's full of Robinson Crusoe prompts. Even if you don't know somehow who that is, you could always start googling.
>>
>>52127083
I stand by my decision. Administration. If only to make the GM go "why?." Plus, who knows how bureaucratic those cannibals are?
>>
What are must-have advantages and supporting skills for a TL0 warrior using Spear and Throwing?
>>
>>52127481
Skills
-Armory, for making and repairing spears.
-Survival, since a TL0 warrior is also likely a hunter.
-Running, for getting into and out of battle. -Tactics and Stealth, for setting ambushes (because in a TL without useful armor, you REALLY want to strike first)
Buy up ST (for damage, range, and HP), as well as DX and HT (for weapon skills, HT checks, and increased BS)
Also Combat Reflexes, aka The Best 15 Points a Warrior Can Spend
>>
>>52127601
Well, Combad Reflexes are so obvious I take them for pretty much any combat-oriented character that I don't want to role-play as incompetent, fearful or badly-trained.
Any other advantages to look at? What about all those "Increase ST for X" ones?
>>
>>52127481

HT 12, Fit, combat reflexes. No armor and no medicine means you'll get hit, you'll get injured, and you need to survive those injuries.
ST 11, or ST 10 + 1 striking ST. Might push all the way to ST 13 if you have lots of points but it's probably not worth it just to get 1 more damage.

Survival, Stealth.
>>
Anyone know if its possible to add sensors to a computer? I looked at the BS and UT but I didnt find anything conclusive.
>>
>>52127627
Getting Striking ST (Only usable for Throwing attacks) is a viable option
>>
File: Capture.png (782KB, 1417x853px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
782KB, 1417x853px
>>52127678
UT61
>>
>>52127481
Brawling, Camo, Running, Stealth, Survival, Tracking.
Since it's TL0, don't even bother being below 12 HT. Combat Reflexes, Fit (or even Very Fit) and High Pain Threshold will make a difference between barely scrapping through encounter and turning your enemies into bloody pulp. Any bonus to any sense of your choice is a great help too, hearing is great if you want to ambush people.
And if the GM allows, get a schtick for being barefoot without injuries.
>>
>>52127762
That doesn't say anything about adding sensors to computers.
>>
>>52127665
High Pain Threshold is tempting. Not loseing a second when you get hit can be vital when in a TL 0 fight for your life.
>>
>>52127481
Since all the anons noted the right, but also pretty obvious choices:
Gesture
Now it's a blind shot, since I don't know anything about the setting aside being TL0, but since you mentioned it and the fact you play as a warrior, it has two great uses: silent communication with allies at distance and being able to communicate with members of other tribes/cultures without knowing their language.
>>
>>52127905
So? use your imagination. You buy both, PLUG ONE INTO THE OTHER, and go from there
>>
What do you do if you suspect that your GM is leading his new plot arc down the road of the Centauri Republic?
>>
>>52128254
>>
>>52128254
Get in touch with Morgan, Yang, and Santiago.
>>
>>52128303
Kek'd
>>
File: babylon_5.vir_cotto.jpg (28KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
babylon_5.vir_cotto.jpg
28KB, 240x320px
>>52128303
>Morgan, Yang, and Santiago.
Not enlisting the best last hope for fucking up conspiritors
>>
So what happened in Grimwyrd today? Did you guys get back to civilization yet?
>>
File: greyhold.png (4MB, 3716x2840px) Image search: [Google]
greyhold.png
4MB, 3716x2840px
>>52128942
>Roll20 chapter blurb

GrimWyrd Chapter 4; What evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The withered Kingdom of Gorgoth is no more; after The Happening the land is despoiled of all life. Not even mana flows on the rock and vale. charred tendrils of the ruined place jut Northward like the fingers of a dying man clutching to the living. The Southern Reaches are a wasteland like the South, where the magic weapon touched land only ash remains. All traces of the Alliance army and the Gorgoth Beastmen are destroyed. Twisted metal and wretched corpses are all that are left.

The fleeing Scorned and Ro-Haern flooded into the land like a tide, with the Alliance army trickling in between them. Order has been maintained through immediate and decisive response to any lawlessness. The shanty towns springing up around Old Mill and Oakway have nearly doubled the populations already there, and the fields lay fallow and untended in all directions. Where the militiamen were conscripted from the workers and farmers of the land, the farms are left to grow unharvested, soon nearly to rot in the sun. The Scorned are not invited to work, and the Lords of the land do not invite them to sup on their stocks. The people are hungry and the heat boils tempers.

The caretakers of the caretakers are the aristocrats left behind at the war call. Those unfit for the front lines; training, provisioning, building up defenses. These men rule now, uneasy, their mettle tested like the forges hungry for iron and gunpowder. They are flush with new income as inheritances free up land once ruled by now dead men. With little orders coming from Greyhold, they wallow in hedonism, wine, song, women. Locals blame the Elven dignitaries and their wild ways. Others blame the Scorned' infernal touch. Others simply blame human frailty. Regardless, the parties wane into the night, and the people hear the songs of revelry late into the morning.
>>
File: LordMarshallGeofferson.jpg (120KB, 736x1167px) Image search: [Google]
LordMarshallGeofferson.jpg
120KB, 736x1167px
>>52129005
The Heroes of the South are no more. The recognition earned for liberating Glardenfen has fallen away like so many of the bricks in it's shattered walls. As the group returned to living land, they joined the stragglers who also fled for the safety of the North. Some remains of the militias and officers survived; no Beastmen were found moving. Those who would listen to the terrible tale of the Derugar Keep and Ansible of Spirits were rapt with attention of the tale. But when it came to the telling of The Happening, none were glad to hear the tale.

The Commander moving the survivors North, a young man named Hale Dorn, he hushed your tales and implored your silence. He warned of their effect on the shaken morale of the people, and ushered you to more private sections of the exodus. Once in Oakway, past the hungry masses and trampled fields, he ushered you to a carriage and caravan moving man and materiel to the more beleaguered Oakway. The carriage windows were shuttered, and the passenger quarters packed with supplies, but at least you were finally not walking anymore. The cries of beggar half elf children and scorned echoed up and down the highway. Hungry voices, tired voices, those without hope or homes left in the world.

Under cover of night you made it through the guarded gates of the city, past ramparts fresh with pine sap stinking in the heat, keeping out unwashed masses of people, not Beastmen. Now, you rest in the somewhat familiar barracks of Oakway. In the morning, you will meet with Lord Marshall Geofferson, and submit your report to the acting Commander of the City Garrison and Watch.
>>
>>52129005
>Hexgen
>Roads
How?!
>>
>>52129168
Looks like paint to me.
>>
File: Londo_and_Drakh.jpg (18KB, 350x260px) Image search: [Google]
Londo_and_Drakh.jpg
18KB, 350x260px
>>52129017
We met with Lord Marshall Geofferson, who seemed strangely aloof and giddy throughout our report (dramatic as it was as we argued among ourselves who should claim the most blame for the tragedy). At first Suðri mistook it for incredulousness, but then Grey noticed that the man was sniffing something. He revealed it to be the magic red dust that we had seen in the wastelands, being mined and variously processed into a blackpowder subsitute or into a drug by the Derugar Dwarves.
Syviis demonstratively blew up the vial, but the Lord Marshal was unfazed; he said he got the drug from an Elven emissary and was well aware of its (exciting!) properties—what dour spoilsports we were!

As he left, we were left wondering whether some of the Night Lords' servants survived and are now plotting revenge on Greyhold by subverting its elites, or whether—and how!—the Elven kingdom of Anhaern acquired knowledge of and access to the red dust and is plotting to take over the human realm.

In other words, after the dreaded enemy of all nations was defeated in a cataclysmic event, and their homeland was utterly destroyed, former servants of theirs might have escaped to one of the allied countries. They could now be plotting their revenge by distracting local elites with revel and indulgence, and controlling key figures through mind-altering substances, to provoke conflict between the erstwhile allies.
And so it begins…

Meanwhile the ex-vampire elf we picked up believes Bomrek has been touched by the Darkness (he's always been that way, though) and keeps starting at him while he sucks on a gold coin as though it were a bonbon.
>>
>>52129331
meant to reply to >>52128942
>>
>>52129168
Hexographer free
>>
>>52129741
But roads were paid feature. I guess something have changed recently
>>
File: tumblr_o1ix07B90v1qe0nolo3_1280.jpg (43KB, 604x585px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1ix07B90v1qe0nolo3_1280.jpg
43KB, 604x585px
>>52129331
I feel like her worries are overblown because she just didn't see him before, when he was a creepy, crazy gun obsessed dwarf.

I'm not sure if the Marshall is a drug added flop and that's just his Style, or if he has been corrupted by the forces of evil. In any case we've got the bird following him to keep an eye on him.

Everyone took responsibility for killing everyone with the Giant Elven Superweapon..

Except of course for the elf, the guy in a coma and Bomrick, whom wanted to take responsibility but did not think that he'd done anything wrong.
>>
>>52124575
I chose GURPS because GURPS was the first system I really started getting into since my dad introduced it to me.

I've played D&D (5e) recently, and read the D&D Rules Cyclopedia back when I was 12, however I just like how GURPS has rules for many different situations, and how friendly the community is (generally). There's also a pretty good blog scene, with many houserules and the like. Not to mention Pyramid magazine!
>>
>>52129331
>he sucks on a gold coin as though it were a bonbon.
Dwarves are cute. CUTE!
>>
File: 1432641636546.gif (133KB, 311x366px) Image search: [Google]
1432641636546.gif
133KB, 311x366px
>>52129331
>Derugar
>>
>>52116311
>No matter what game, it does it and does it well.
A mecha campaign with an emphasis on mech customization.
>>
/gurpsgen/ How would I stat a gadget that stops time in a 5 feet area around it?

Also strange question, but I heard Champions or HERO System is partially related to GURPS, has anyone seen if theyre actually good?
>>
>>52126377
This.
>>
>>52133812
>Champions or HERO System is partially related to GURPS, has anyone seen if theyre actually good?
Shitty clone of GURPS.
>>
File: gurps towel.png (58KB, 421x347px) Image search: [Google]
gurps towel.png
58KB, 421x347px
>>52133812
Powers has Temporal Stasis (page 118) for afflictions.
Area Effect 2 and Emanation, gadget limitations at your taste.
>>
Can someone help me with custom Talent? I need a... Seadog? I guess that would be the name. A talent for sailing-related skills. I think it should involve following: Boating (Sailboat), Cartography, Geography (?), Knot-Tying, Mathematics (Applied), Meteorology, Navigation (Sea), Seamanship and Shiphandling (Ship)

Should this be still Medium, or already Large talent? And are there any skills that should be added? Or maybe something is superflous?
>>
>>52135000
If your TL involves them, Electronics Operation for GPS, radio and log can be added too.

And you've listed 9 skills. Up to 12 it's medium Talent. If you skip Geography, Mathematics and Boating, that will be 6 skills, which will make it small Talent.
>>
>>52134697
Alright, what about a grenade that explodes intos a cacaphony of knives that home at the nearest threat?
>>
>>52135000
What >>52135063 said. Talents are always best used when you have n, or preferably even n+1 skills under them, where n is a multiplication of 5
>>
Has there been anything made for XCOM in GURPS?

I want to run a game based on the EXALT missions of XCOM: Enemy Within, where the players would be a group of XCOM operatives trying to root out EXALT cells and find their HQ, maybe occasionally shoot an alien or two, more of an espionage and covert ops game rather than straight up action.

Was wondering if someone had worked XCOM into GURPS or will I have to start from scratch?
>>
>>52125176
>>52125550
Thing is, I always end up with a situation where certain races have tempates for 15-25 points, while other end up with 80+, even if technically there isn't much difference between them, but the combined weight of all the different dis- and advantages ends up with absurd values.
>>
>>52135741
There might be some fan-made one, but I'm pretty sure you can make one yourself, using High Tech, Tactical Shooting and Action
>>
>>52135784
Well yeah, I wanted to know if there was a fan made one available before I start, for ideas and maybe to save myself some work.

I guess I could straight up start with regular humans and normal weapons since laser weapons and plasma isn't going to come in into play until much later, but since all of us are familiar with the game (and Long War), I wanted to incorporate some of the perks and skills and stuff like the special grenades from Long War into the deal.

Still in the planning stages, so not sure how it would all work. I'm thinking of playing everything from the point where the operatives are sent and up to the point where the actual XCOM squad is dispatched to pick them up, and have it be a "survive until XCOM reinforcements with the big guns arrive" dealio for the combat.
>>
>>52135777
That's just how it goes mate. If one race has +2 DX, Winged Flight, and a breath weapon and the other race gets +1 Per and 2 levels of Silence, then of course the first race should be more costly to play.
There's always the option of allowing "Racial Gifts" (what they're called in Dungeon Fantasy), which are optional traits characters of that race *may* take but aren't mandatory, if you want to trim costs down a bit.
>>
>>52135741
XCOM is shit

do yourself a favour and switch to X-COM or Xenonauts
>>
>>52135346
Bit trickier. A cacophony of knives that home in on the nearest threat is simple enough -- Impaling Attack 1d (Homing, Sight, +50%; Rapid Fire, RoF 15, +100%) [20] -- but changing the point of origin is a bitch. Considering that Overhead is +30%, Ricochet is +10%, and Surprise Attack that has attacks come from behind is worth +150%, I'd eyeball the enhancement to be worth +50%; you won't get Surprise Attack's bonus (enemies can see the grenade landing behind them, so I'd treat it as a Runaround Attack at -2 to defense rather than an attack from behind that doesn't allow any defense) but you do have a lot of freedom in where the attack will originate from and can use it to go around corners, attack from above, etc. I'd add Muscle-Powered Range (-10%; p. P46:18) to the custom enhancement directly as per Limited Enhancements (p. B111) to make the final cost +45%. I would also add Independent (+40%) to let the attack choose its own target, though doing so means its skill is a flat 10 rather than 10+Acc.

>tl;dr Impaling Attack 1d (Homing, Sight, +50%; Increased 1/2D Range x2, +5%; Increased Max Range x5, +10%; Independent, +40%; Point of Origin, Muscle-Powered Range, +45%; Rapid Fire, RoF 15, +100%) [28]
>>
>>52136088
Yeah, but due to those differences, certain races, while being absolutely nothing exceptional on their own, end up so costly they can easily exceed the point limit for the game. The only exceptions might be all sort of snek, since they usually qualify under "No legs" and similar, thus getting a hefty point discount.
Non humans and especially non-humanoids is one of those rare moments when GURPS seriously and honestly sucks.
>>
>>52137094
For Greanade-like pin-pointed effect point of originbetter be workaround with Area Effect.
>>
>>52137139
You'd better show some specific cases because calling
>+2 DX, Winged Flight, and a breath weapon
"absolutely nothing exceptional" is bullshit.
>>
>>52137139
>The only exceptions might be all sort of snek, since they usually qualify under "No legs" and similar,

Don't misunderestimate the snek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWFuyK6F8eE
>>
>>52135777
Monster Hunters has a book called Applied Xenology about fighting ayylmaos instead of (or alongside) traditional modern supernatural foes like werewolves, vampires, demons, etc. A MH campaign that uses aliens exclusively, scraps divine champions and witches as options for PCs, and has everyone have the same powerful Patron to help fund/equip/ferry them is essentially XCOM.

For added fun, use Pointless Monster Hunting from Pyramid #3/83: Alternate GURPS IV. Rather than handling templates, players build their character with packages and wildcard skills which is *SUPER* fast. This lets the GM be a touch more merciless and, well, XCOM-y because you can make a new recruit in no time.

I even went through the trouble or writing some shit up for it if you don't want to do the legwork yourself/want a standalone version.

>>52137156
I was considering treating it as an attack with high levels of Fragmentation limited to one enemy, but I wasn't sure how to handle the Homing in that approach.
>>
>>52137139
>Implying you really need all that races.
>Implying every race should be playable.
>>
>>52137214
At the end it's all about having fun for the whole group, including the GM.

If the group wants to play kobolds, or The Talking Blob, why not?
>>
>>52137399
>If the group wants
Then GM slap racial template on their characters. For free.
But when there is just yet another special snowflake, who wants to play as Ancient Snakepeople From Future, just coz they exists in game, but cost 90% character points of that campaign, it is problem of that snowflake, or his GM who is stingy for points and breaking fun?
>>
>>52112943
>Are there any NON-cinematic rules for whips?

Not that I'm aware of, but an additional -4 or so to entangle with whips or kusari should take care of most issues.

>>52123004
>Let's assume your character is a scientist or researcher, doing research in natural sciences. Can you benefit from having Accounting skill along Math (Applied) or is Accounting solely for business book-keeping?

Accounting skill is about keeping track of money, regardless of whether it's from customers or research grants, so it could well help with running a lab. Administration would probably be more of a priority though. I would say Administration would be a complementary skill to the main research skill, while Accounting would be a complementary skill to Administration.

>>52123058
>And adding to this - for drawing diagrams and simplified, basic schematics, do you need Artist (Drawing) or it only helps their quality?

The ability to draw diagrams and schematics should probably be part of any skill where they would be frequently used. Technical drawing is generally a bit different to normal artistic drawing anyway and many diagrams would be more Artist (Graphic Design) than drawing.

>>52124164
It will add new stuff. From what I understand, it is a revised edition of the first two DF books, plus a new version of GURPS Lite and some entirely original material.
>>
>>52137580
That sounds less like a GURPS problem and more like a personal problem of the player.

Every gaming group has That Guy. The secret is to identify him and find a different hobby, or at least a different gaming group for him.
>>
File: 1014ef.jpg (46KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1014ef.jpg
46KB, 500x625px
>>52137580
>>52137399
I'm still itching to play a DRAGONS game, where the players are all DnD style big kahuna dragons, and each of them has a 250 point racial template dragon form, and then it's all boardroom and curia after that. Fucking gold.

Might mash that up with my SAVAGES notes(which was all orc politics and Game of Thrones ripoffs in Darguun/Eberron)
>>
File: tumblr_oft6w5dVds1rl7s4eo1_500.gif (757KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oft6w5dVds1rl7s4eo1_500.gif
757KB, 480x270px
>>52129017
>>52129005

So you guys kinda went from Conan the Barbarian in the ruined wasteland to Conan the Barbarian in the decadent and hedonistic cities of the soft and weak?
>>
>>52140816
Yeah, just with pike and musket
>>
>>52137214
>Implying I don't need lizardfolk
>Implying a player that come with interesting character should be denied one, because "who needs it"
Shit GM detected
>>
>>52137175
Try making a centaur on budget.
And I'm not talking about giving them any specific skills or shit like that, but just the fact it's a centaur and has all the properties of a horse due to being a human torso attatched to a horse body.
>>
Well I have set up a few encounters both scripted and not for the next session. I have created the NPC's as much as I could, set up secret objectives as well as findable things.

Now I am worried the PC's will just bugger off somewhere or purely go on with just the violent option.

On a different note since I am doing a 1950's campaign does anyone know where I could find more starts for vehicles and weapons around that time?
>>
>>52137094
What about a power that's an aura that combusts all nearby plant based matter in a 5' radius?
>>
Are there any rules for food spoliage?
To elaborate: I'm running a TL4 realistic campaign with my players and they want to cross Pacific, after realising that either they flee from their current "residence" in South-East Asia, or they are fucked. Since their PCs are all experienced sailors and one of them is Dutch, sauerkraut is a thing, so scurvy is not (that big) issue.
But they still need to take a trip that will last for well over three months at 100% perfect conditions, and they can only take a stop on Guam, the only known island on their way. So that means all their food and water will need to be taken for that journey. Any rules for food spoilage due to moisture, salination, rodents etc?
>>
>>52143367

Does their ship have a kitchen?

They could just store some fuel, flour and cook along the way if need be.
>>
>>52143404
I'm not sure you understand the basic problem of preserving food and transporting it in a TL4 ship. Hell, even in TL8 ship it's still a massive problem, unless you want eat MREs for few weeks/months
>>
>>52143367
Never heard about rules for this.
What about fishing for food? That's at least a good source of fresh meat.

>>52143404
Food spoils REALLY quick at sea, due to combination of high moisture, lack of ventilation, lack of refridgeration and few other factors. Especially on wooden vessels. After a month, your flour will be most likely already useless. All sorto of non-fermented veggies and fruits will be rotten. Any other meat than salted will be out after a week, the salted one might survive, or might rot anyway, but won't be tasty.
After two months, your water will have an awful taste due to standing in wooden casks.
And let's not forget about all sorts of pests, maggots being the worst of them, eating away anything that didn't just rot.

In short - a long voyage without ability to resupply in low TL can easily wipe out entire crew, either due to malnutrition, poisoning or starvation.
>>
>>52143468

The thing is IRL they could preserve food for that long if the ship had a kitchen with a stove. Since they would keep stuff like flour which doesn't spoil that fast or alternatively salted or fish or beef or pork.

In the High Tech Book under food stuffs it talks about food preservation even for TL1.
>>
>>52143615
I've already told you you apparently don't understand the basic problem here. This anon elaborated, so at least I don't have to explain it: >>52143572

Do you at least know crossing Pacific till the tail end of 18th century was considered a suicide, precisely due to food-related issues?
>>
>>52143658

>Do you at least know crossing Pacific till the tail end of 18th century was considered a suicide, precisely due to food-related issues?

Maybe have them island hop as it was done by the Polinesians or have them try a northen approach?

The Northen Aproach would lend it's self to help preserve food in the colder north pacific environment and might be able to get fresh water from snow if they keep to the coast.

I now get what you mean by they are fucked, you are imply they do the dumb thing and sail blindly east.
>>
>>52143740
Not him, but have you looked the map? There are no islands for half of the Pacific.
At all.
And if he wants to do realistic TL4 game, then Hawaii is still unknown.
>>
>>52143740
Northern Approach won't save much food and will make the journey twice as long, since you still need to get from Alaska to Mexico, even if along shore. So supplies are still an issue, as there are no people on that way at all.
Well, aside maybe Haida tribes.
And then there are the issues about wind between Oregon and California.
Or the fact it was all uncharted waters and land back then.
The year is 1710. If I recall well, Baja California Peninsula wasn't still confirmed as a peninsula or an island, since nobody moved "that far" north to check.

My players are perfectly aware this might go bad, but it was them asking if they can even try to make that leap over the ocean without already starting with new characters.
>>
>>52143257
>Weapons
High-tech and it's sub books, pulp guns, etc. It covers all of it perfectly fine. If you need extra help, go to /k/. Memes aside, they're not retarded.
>Vehicle stats
Well.. that one I can't help you with
>>
>>52143367
Players want to cross the Pacific, or PCs want to cross the Pacific?

Who's mad at them, and how fucked are they if they just try to find some tiny mostly-uninhabited island in the Philippines? "Boondocks" is a Tagalog word originally. Even in the 21st Century sections of the Philippines are extremely isolated.
>>
>>52138612
Perhaps its just me, but DND style big kahuna dragons do not sound like "250 point templates" to me. At best 250 points would be them without any of their magical special abilities and severely under strength compared to their DND counterparts. I would almost certainly place the average D&D dragon in the 500-600 point range and the great wyrms at 900+.
>>
>>52143572

Ship food at TL 4?

A sloop with 60 men carried this list in 1777

Beef 462 pieces in 6 barrels weighing 2238 lbs
Pork 777 pieces in 5 barrels weighing 1753 lbs
Beer 12 barrels weighing 788 lbs
Water 56 hogsheads and 25 casks of 18 gallons each about 4091 US gallons
Bread 6048 lbs in 54 bags
Butter 420 lbs
Oatmeal 20 bushels weighing 800 lbs
Pease 16 bushels weighing 928 lbs
Flower 1300 lbs in 4 barrels
Suet 82 lbs in 1 barrel
Raisons 200 lbs in 2 barrels
Rum 4 half hogsheads 126 US gallons
Vinegar 1 hogshead 63 US gallons

As you can see while flour is carried, it's not the primary way to carry it. Far easier is to carry it in the form of 'bread' called hardtack, basically a cracker made from salt, water and flour. With a very low moisture content they could keep for years if kept dry, though weevles were very common in them. Knocking them firmly on a hard surface could dislodge most of the bugs.

The primary calories are from meat and harddtack. The meat would often be prepared in a crude stew of dried peas, salted meat and oatmeal. This wasn't very good but was filling and gave a person something to dip the hardtack into to soften it enough to be eaten.

>>52143740
>>52143658
A big part of the problem of a Pacific crossing is that it was a huge, challenging trip that.. mostly took you between a place where very few people were in the America's western shores and the Orient.

Routing crossing came later, but even Japan to Panama to London is such an absurdly long, hard trip that it could not compete economically with London to India to Japan, traveling around the horn of Africa.

By the early 19th century of course the trip was becoming routine as sailing ships improved, navigation improved, and of course large, seaworthy ships in California started importing luxiries and workers from the Orient.
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/ someone posted an outline template for Token Tool that had indicators for character facing, anyone got that?
>>
>>52144894
Okay, cool, still awesome though, right?
Who wouldn't want to be one of those guys.

Hell, even magic less, with just a flamethrower breath weapon
>>
>>52145047
Don't forget British/Canadian vessels via Vancouver and the like
>>
>>52145703
Yeah im just saying don't try to build those sorts of things on 250 points. If they could be built on 250 points then they'd probably be listed in dungeon fantasy as a class.
Various dragons of different types and power levels are statted out in gurps fantasy and gurps dragons.
If you ever end up doing that campaign please, please dont try to keep it low points cost. Players WANT to be an 800 point dragon even if 300 point magicless/elephant sized ones exist.
>>
File: 1443552921636.png (102KB, 453x443px) Image search: [Google]
1443552921636.png
102KB, 453x443px
>>52145851
Dude, sure, I get it
You feel super strongly about dragons
>>
>>52145874
No i feel strongly about points misers.
>>
File: 1452653617782.png (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452653617782.png
35KB, 600x600px
>>52145893
Thank God for autosage then
>>
>>52145964
Have you tried like a reaction with maybe a DBZ character or some edgy deviantart OC? Typically people make fun of "high points is fun too" people like me by using those as hyperbole.
>>
File: 119284445141.jpg (29KB, 345x281px) Image search: [Google]
119284445141.jpg
29KB, 345x281px
>>52145981
>>
File: 453.jpg (85KB, 576x648px) Image search: [Google]
453.jpg
85KB, 576x648px
How do I make Kenshiro, with infinite budget?
>>
File: 1484285975933.jpg (237KB, 835x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484285975933.jpg
237KB, 835x800px
>>52146010
>>
>>52145748
That's true. As cities in the Puget Sound developed, like Seattle and Vancouver, there was an increasing demand for trade locally. It's sort of overshadowed (my fault for doing so) by the massive influx into California after '49.
>>
>>52146044
Id guess hes basically a 300-400 points highly fucking cinematic martial artist. Perhaps look at the martial artist for Gurps Monster Hunters, strip out all the pussy non combat shit and replace it with more ATATATATATA.
>>
Phone post. Gizmo syntactic magic anon

Been thinking about more fun weird magic variations.

Syntactic is additive. What about subtractive?

Like, start with 'wind' at idk, 10 FP because it is all wind. Slap on the small modifier cause you want a breeze and that is worth -8 for a total of two
>>
Do speed modifiers apply when you're a rider on a mount that is going fast, who is trying to shoot at a stationary target?
>>
>>52147211
Yes. Generally speaking, it's relative speed between you and opponent that makes shooting harder.
>>
>>52142941
A-ha!
I always knew all that dozen of my GMs was boring shitsukers who jerking on stupid realism shit! My edgy semi-planar half-demigod demon cat catfolk character was AWESOME.
You cool.
>>
>>52148007
>cat catfolk
Does it make him doublecatfolk?
>>
>>52143177
>ST 20+ (at least for the lower part)
>enhanced move
>absolutely nothing special
Dude, please. Their only downsides would be restricted diet and (arguably) larger SM.
>>
How can I make NPC's do a feint without having my players abuse their knowledge of the attack? I can't simply hide it like a normal attack, because then players would call bullshit (and rightfully so).
>>
>>52148039
No dude it's a Demon cat catfolk, think like 1 part infernal, 1 part cat, 2 parts human.
>>
>>52149205
Don't give them CP for this session.
>>
>>52149259
Yeah that could work. But I was thinking of something more mechanical.
>>
>>52149259
Why would you give your players Cheese Pizza? especially for free?
>>
>>52149205
Here's how I do it, I recall reading the method either in the FAQ or the forums.

On the turn the NPC feints, just roll a normal attack and say it missed. Then your players will act business as usual. On the NPCs next turn, you actually declare that the previous attack was a feint, and roll the appropriate quick contest, by that time, it's already too late for the players to do anything.
>>
File: thinking.png (198KB, 1190x838px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
198KB, 1190x838px
>>52149389
I was thinking that too, but I pretty sure that a normal player would shout "BULLSHIT!"
>>
>>52149423
Never had a problem with, that's just how it works in GURPS. The key point is that you let the player roll the quick contest before applying the defense penalties, if any.

If they have a problem with it, explain that that's how feints work.
>>
>>52149468
Yeah. I think I would definitely have to say that's how feints will work before I actually do it. People don't take kindly to rules flipping against them.
>>
>>52149510
Make sure that you also don't cheat the system, like for example if your NPC missed the attack naturally and then the player put himself in a very disadvantageous situation don't suddenly decide that the previous attack was a feint after all. Conversely if you decide your NPC is going to feint but by the next turn the situation changes and you'd rather not feint, go through with the feint anyway, for the sake of fairness. Of course you might choose to cheat in favor of players (decide not to feint where feinting would kill them, for example), but that's up to you.

The key here is to make sure that the players feel you're being fair.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.