[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 50

File: GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
Civil edition

>Grimwyrd Chapter 3 closed today; turns out, the party opted to use a world shattering superweapon on the evil empire of big bad beastmen.
Pity they hit so many allied forces with it too...

But chapter 4 will be the Aftermath! which should be """FUN"""
>>
What are essential combat skills (not Skills-skills, but including stuff like Techniques and other advanced options) for premodern combat?
>>
>>52018149

Who is the true GURPS GEN?

you or? >>52018281
>>
File: aef3415d48590a32f7e92f5d99e29691.png (175KB, 1187x745px) Image search: [Google]
aef3415d48590a32f7e92f5d99e29691.png
175KB, 1187x745px
Pic related is an SAI I'm working on for a THS game, and I would like to know if I'm just doing this completely wrong. I've noticed I don't have much room for skills, because of how expensive both my SAI template and Cybershell is, and I'm not sure if I should go for a cheaper shell or not.
>>
File: 1487275842182.jpg (206KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
1487275842182.jpg
206KB, 1280x544px
>use a magical nuke in a desperate situation and realise too late what horror you've unleashed upon the world
>make your way towards where you remember civilisation to be, journeying through a desolated land bereft of life and magic
>be haunted by restless spirits at night, sleep uneasy under a green moon, see once-clear rivers turned into foul molasses of filth and poison
>find the fort you passed weeks ago destroyed by a gaping scar in the earth
>come across piles, heaps, mounds of contorted corpses, the mangled bodies of friend and foe alike
>wander through battlefields frozen in time by the wave of death you've unleashed, untouched even by scavengers, flies, and rodents, every step making you more anxious if there is even any life left anywhere
>know not the extent of the devastation, and cling to the hope that the fort you helped reclaim and rebuild is still manned; and if not, that there is still any civilisation left to return to farther inland
>find fire lizards roam the empty, barren ruins of that fort
>decide to fight them, in part to replenish on mana, but just as much to simply have a purpose again, a goal, an enemy to fight other than apprehension and uncertainty
>spread out all your muskets and brace yourself for a charge from the foes, prepared to welcome them with musket salvos
>drive them out with your shots for your cavalryman on your only surviving horse to ride them down

>learn from recharged exposition-familiar that the devastation does have a horizon, and life yet awaits beyond it
>learn from an old semi-foe mourning the death of her master and her empire that you nuked the entire enemy army that was threatening invasion (though your own army too)
>get a chance to apologise to her as one tangible, living victim of your deeds, and take her in, united in being lost

That was one fantastic session laden with emotion, thick with mood, dense in atmosphere, and filled with feels.
Also everything kinda went better than expected.
>>
>>52018748
Note: your cyberdoll body you bought is your semipermanent body as defined by posession; thats why you spent points on it, right?

Otherwise, why not just pay cash monies for a body and live on with unkillable(can download if I get shot)?
>>
>>52018807
I don't have the starting money I need to get a really fancy body, so I'm using points for it as the Cyberdoll is definitely going to by my primary body. I can still jump out of it though, and stuff, I believe.
>>
File: planet-of-the-apes.png (715KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
planet-of-the-apes.png
715KB, 1440x900px
>>52018769
>Also everything kinda went better than expected.
https://youtu.be/pglm8J4C3y8
>>
File: 1446566719539.jpg (34KB, 380x372px) Image search: [Google]
1446566719539.jpg
34KB, 380x372px
>>52018769
Yeah, the game went a bit Heart of Darkness on us, dinnit?
>>
Do organization from Boardroom and Curia have a monthly upkeep cost or call for a monthly job roll to properly administrate it? I swore they did, but I'm not finding anything at the moment.
>>
File: tree-tattoo6.jpg (30KB, 390x440px) Image search: [Google]
tree-tattoo6.jpg
30KB, 390x440px
>>52018769
>Ripped the heart out of a fiery salamander.
>Fed it to familiars and elves

Got to say, I'm much happier with a spirit ally then bothering to learn about magic. Damn thing comes in handy often.
>>
>>52018748
You can always get a better shell later.
>>
>>52019463
I could, but my only other option for a shell is the standard body, which is like 30 points and not too good at all. It's hard, being in a 400 point game and trying to get everything right. Do you think I really should focus on getting more skills and utility, and save a good body for later? The character isn't combat focused at all, but having a nice body as a primary living space would be cool.
>>
>>52018769
I'd become airship pirate and nope the fuck out of these lands if I were you, to be honest.
>>
>>52018149
Can someone please explain me how Status works? I'm trying to put nobility (few "stages" of it) in the game, along with serfs, freemen and alike, but I'm absolutely incapable of decipher how the Status should work. Is there any article describing it in detail, or only the short bit in Basic Set?
And can you combine Status with Rank, when doing said nobility (so it would be Ranks of Status 3, rather than bloating the amount of Status tiers)?
>>
>>52019943
Hit up Social Engineering for a general overview, Fantasy for specific mention of knights, and Dungeon Fantasy: Guilds for a gamey approach.

Feudal nobility is hard because despite the formal titles everything was really established by a network of alliances, oaths, bloodlines and intermarriage, and coercions that really isn't easy to abstract into a hierarchal Status or Rank system on its own. There's also the issue that feudalism lasted a long while, so two people can be arguing about what better represents feudalism and they'll both be right because they're talking about different eras (IIRC, the rise of the merchant class signaled a big change in how the authority of the nobility worked).
>>
File: Deloth-Ainur.jpg (49KB, 736x999px) Image search: [Google]
Deloth-Ainur.jpg
49KB, 736x999px
>>52019859
if only there were airships! The setting is darker and more mythic magic. Very real power tends to attract very big threats, so magic engines havent really caught on.

Demon infused elven cultists of the doomsday however, those have caught on in droves
>>
>>52020108
This is neither fantasy nor dungeon fantasy - it's TL5 Russian frontier. But I guess the rules will be generic enough to apply anyway, even if written with completely different games in mind.
Social Engineering - where to look it up?
>>
>>52020108
Even in one time period status was confusing and varied from place to place.

The holy roman empire was a place where a count could outrank a prince, knight had 3 different meanings and if you wanted to hire someone to manage an estate for you the way to do it was to adopt him into your family as a foster son, even if he was older then you.
>>
>>52020384
>Social Engineering - where to look it up?
OP 'image'
>>
>>52019147
The horror.

The horror.
>>
>>52020384
If you want to keep it simple..

Status -2 is Prisoners, Slaves, ect. These are people that have very limited legal rights. Russian serfs, in some areas.

Status -1 are most serfs, house servants, ect. These people don't own property and might have limited rights, but they are considered people.

Status 0 are freemen. Common soldiers, tradesmen, freehold farmers, sailors, poor merchants, ect.

Status 1 are respected tradesmen, minor local government, Squires, Sergeants, Yomen, ect. Men of Quality, if not nobility.

Status 2 is the lowest levels of nobility, and the warrior class. Landless knights, the untitled sons of nobility, the most respected professionals like master craftsmen and guild leaders, and the richest merchants.

Status 3 is landed knights and the first people that can honestly be called Lords. In many cases, these guys don't answer to any law but their peers. A village leader or city councle, or their representatives, can't arrest, detain or put them on trial, for example.
>>
>>52020561
I think this is all I need. Thanks a bunch!
>>
File: elfnam.png (210KB, 467x600px) Image search: [Google]
elfnam.png
210KB, 467x600px
>>52020528
>>
How much would it unbalance things to treat melee rapid strikes the same way as firing multiple shots from a ranged weapon?
>>
>>52021020
They just can't work that way and you know it.
>>
>>52021040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmEch1eRXo
>>
>>52021020
Pyramid #61 has a power that does just that.
>>
Hello, could someone please help me, i'm trying to calculate how much 1 point of damage that works just like normal ST damage roll is worth in character points, i want to know how many character points would take to deal a no damage roll required punch, i want the damage to be always the same but i'm having trouble.
>>
>>52021190
Try that again in English, please
>>
>>52021020
What, with one attack roll and multiple hits based on MoS? I'd have to look at it more closely, but my gut reaction is less "unbalanced" and more "not as good as RAW." If we keep the -6 penalty but condense it to a single roll, I *think* you'll see an overall drop in number of hits scored. There's also the issue that two different strikes can have a multitude of options--you can throw out a slash to a sword arm followed by a deceptive strike to the vitals, or a grapple to the skull that assists a knee to the face--and abstracting it into MoS just doesn't allow that level of planning or detail

>>52021111
Either an ability as >>52021127 pointed out, or someone with Trained By a Master and Karate-32 that can throw out 6 rapid strikes/second with a final skill of 14 (possibly more if using the rules for Combinations from Martial Arts; assuming the GM doesn't shoot the idea down and the character has enough points, you *could* buy arbitrarily-high levels of the Combination techniques).

>>52021190
Not sure if I understand what you're asking, but maybe check "Partial Dice" on page 62 of Basic Set: Characters?
>>
>>52021214
Sorry, i will try again. just wait a bit.
>>
Idle thought, anons, sparked by something a few threads back.

If you were to take GURPS lite, and expand it to say 64 pages (this is a soft number, but that's the entirety of D&D B/X, my metric for a 'complete' game in length), what would you add?

I'd go for basic combat maneuvers as suggested in How To Be a GURPS GM, a brief magic system, the probability chart, and... I dunno what else.
>>
>>52021243
Yeah, that's it. it is in page 62, many thanks anon.

>>52021214
The anon above already helped me find what i was looking for, thanks for replying.
>>
>>52021190
2d is considering to be equivalent to 7 points of damage.
Alternatively, Innate Attack costs x0.3 of per point of damage.
Both of those are based on the fact that average result of d6 roll is 3.5.
>>
>>52021268
>a brief magic system
Which one though? Regardless of anyones feelings on the system, the default magic rules do not lend themselves to efficient usage of space. I'd say a quick blurb on Sorcery (a textbox saying "Use Modular Abilities + Alternate Abilities!" is easy to fit in anywhere) and less than six pages on a flexible system like symbol/syntactic.

Definitely expand on combat options. Maybe a bit more gear too?
In general, stick in as much of Action 2 as you can fit.
>>
>>52021371
>and less than six pages on a flexible system like symbol/syntactic

I'm down for that, was essentially what I was envisioning.
>>
>>52021268
At least half-a-dozen pages dedicated to Wildcard! skills in both theory and practice. Wildcard! skills a basically a must for people coming from other systems that don't want to handle up to two dozen individual skills and would rather pain with broad strokes.
>>
File: what_in_tarnation.jpg (67KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
what_in_tarnation.jpg
67KB, 720x715px
So.

I received an interesting argument from a player. The session was over, and it was time to loot the fuck out of everything. The player had the Greedy disadvantage.

I proposed that they had to roll to avoid taking as much loot as they possibly could. This would be at the expense of the rest of the party, if he got to the best loot first. But the player argued they did not need to roll to not do this.

When asked why, they proposed that their character is greedy, but not stupid. He didn't think his character could get away with taking all the best loot from the rest of the party, and if the party got pissed off at him, that would effect his ability to get more wealth in the future.

At the time, this seemed like a rational enough argument, but the more I thought about it, the stupider it seemed. It's a NEGATIVE quality, and a 15 point one at that. It's supposed to make you do things that inconvinience your character and put you into bad situations. The quality doesn't say to make exceptions to your greed in the face of long-term consequences. It says you have to roll against urges to acquire money.

I'm posting this here to get a second opinion. Am I being overly harsh, or is this player being a faggot?
>>
>>52022783
The latter. "Rational greed" would be just a quirk.
>>
>>52022783
The point of self-control rolls for disadvantages is that if you fail you do shit that a reasonable person wouldn't do. Your disadvantage overrides any rational thought. The character just can't help themselves.

Just like an alcoholic knows rationally that drinking is bad for them, but doesn't have the willpower to avoid drinking, same with a greedy character.

The whole point of a disadvantage is that it puts the player at a disadvantage in some situations. It's not much a disadvantage if they can just ignore it when they want to.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to disregard his argument. At -15 points, self-control rolls are under 12, which are already good odds, but if his argument is sound enough, you could give him a +2 or +3 to the self-control roll.

On the other hand, if the loot is a lot of money and the character is poor, self-control should get harder (Basic Set suggests -5).

Still, the takeaways is that if he has Greed in the situation involving potential income for him, he doesn't get to ignore the roll, the best he can hope for is a bonus to the roll.

So basically, the player was being a faggot.
>>
>>52022783
I'd give him a roll, with a bonus if he makes a good argument for why in this case his character would think that it's a bad time to be greedy.

+2 if being observed by companions that insist on fair shares, +1 if simply considering the feelings of companions ( he's free to feel guilty about it, of course, if he fails the roll), -2 if there's something small and highly valuable he could snag without others seeing.

>>52022827
Rational Greed is for when he passes his Self Control roll and can choose not to act on his personality flaw.
>>
>>52022783
Doesn't Greedy explicitly mention that you will eventually do something illegal/stupid in the pursuit of money simply due to the always being tempted? You were in the right. His argument was justification *if he succeed his self-control roll* but that doesn't mean he shouldn't roll in the first place; if he failed, he either didn't think of the consequences 'cuz MONEY or he did think he could get away with it.
>>
>>52022783
Greed says to "do whatever it takes to get the payoff." I would say that rather than rolling to TAKE the loot without talking to the rest of the party, which is a specific action, it should be a roll to see whether or not he his compelled to get it in some capacity - which could include arguing in-character as to why he should have more, or whatever course he deems necessary.

I would also imagine that looting bodies after an individual fight probably isn't very big, and Greed rolls are supposed to be easier to make if the sum is small compared to the wealth he currently has.

Greed is also meant to be compulsive in a way, so the argument that it might harm his long-term profits isn't really relevant. He's GREEDY - that's not the same as being a cutthroat businessman. The disadvantage, to me, IS geared to short term success, even at the cost of long-term success.

Disadvantages aren't necessarily meant to hamstring a character - when it comes to personality traits, these are things that the player agrees to roleplay at every given opportunity, essentially committing to certain decision before the game starts in exchange for character points. They should always been looked at as an opportunity for roleplay and character development - a source of narrative conflict and not just an obstacle to overcome.
>>
>>52022945
>They should always been looked at as an opportunity for roleplay and character development
Unfortunately, more often than not, people tend to pick disadvantages that seem like free points at the time, so it ends up being up to the GM to force the player to make certain choices.

Some people think that this takes agency away from the player, but I don't really mind it that much, particularly because the player gets to choose a disadvantage, and if he didn't consider the consequences, that's his fault.
>>
>>52022997
Meant to reply to this: >>52022946
>>
>>52022783
Damn, dude, yeah. Player was wrong.
WTF, who plays likethat
>>
>>52022997
>Some people think that this takes agency away from the player, but I don't really mind it that much, particularly because the player gets to choose a disadvantage

And that's really the heart of the matter. Yes, you don't get to make the decision in the moment (though you do in a way - you can roll to resist the compulsion)...

But the "in the moment" decision isn't really taken away, it's supplanted by a previous decision made - by the player - during character creation.

And you're right, players often take an advantage worth a healthy chunk of points thinking they can just minimize the chance of ever having to roll against it - then when they find themselves in such a situation, they try to post-hoc rationalize away having to make good on the decision they already made.
>>
File: doge_thank_you.jpg (100KB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
doge_thank_you.jpg
100KB, 2000x1200px
>>52022827

A fine idea.

>>52022916
>>52022938

Didn't think about bonuses/maluses to rolls, good idea, can't believe I forgot that.

>>52022945

It says it's 'almost a forgone conclusion that you will do something illegal', and that was mostly in reference to the trait being combined with Honesty. But yeah, the text does imply that it's difficult to make it work with not being a dick.

>>52022946

I like your solution best, good thinking.

Thanks for the help, y'all.
>>
File: back_in_nam.jpg (43KB, 425x960px) Image search: [Google]
back_in_nam.jpg
43KB, 425x960px
>>52023033

> then when they find themselves in such a situation, they try to post-hoc rationalize away having to make good on the decision they already made.

This shit's happened to me more than once, honestly. But I've always wondered if I was just being a dick GM, and the players actually had a point. Sometimes they do. But I want to be less forgiving of this in the future.
>>
>>52023117
Just remember - it's not a PUNISHMENT, it's an opportunity to roleplay (read as: have fun).

One player stealing the most valuable loot can just easily lead to comedic moments as it does heated moments. Characters doing things to hinder each other doesn't need to end in violence and death - I notice a lot of groups will rapidly go from insulting each other to trying to murder each other. That's completely irrational and comes out of frustration rather than good roleplaying, and the frustration comes from seeing these things as punishment - from seeing conflict as a "bad force" to overcome rather then the impetus for all of storytelling.
>>
Are there any cinematic rules for knocking people out with blows to the head without inflicting massive HP damage?
>>
File: 1420505113794.jpg (434KB, 985x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1420505113794.jpg
434KB, 985x1024px
>>52023334
Sure. A blow to the face, eyes or skull that deals enough damage to cause a shock penalty (1 damage, unless you have 20+ HP) can stun and knock down a person. (Page 420, Basic Set).

If the person fails the HT roll by 5 or more, they are knocked out rather then stunned. Note that a Major Wound to the head gives -5 to the HT roll.

So a good shot to the face or skull can stun or knock out without dealing massive HP damage (just 1 point can do it). Repeated blows to the head will, unless the target has very high HT, generally knock someone out before they hit their full HP in negative and risk death.

Realistically, hitting someone in the head to knock them out because you don't want to hurt them is a Bad Idea. This can cause serious brain damage, or kill.
>>
>>52023459
>cinematic
>>
>>52023525
>anything your gm approved.
>>
File: 92AcOcU.jpg (2MB, 2912x4368px) Image search: [Google]
92AcOcU.jpg
2MB, 2912x4368px
>>52023525
Just making it clear that it's an area where the default rules err a little on the side of action-movie logic rather then realism. That's not a bad thing. Nobody wants to get new points in disadvantages because of a TBI.
>>
>>52023658
They're not, actually. Cranium area not only gives bonus to stun and knockdown, but also a x4 damage multiplier. So if you hit someone on head with hard object, there is serious risk that you kill them, just like in real life.
>>
>>52023684
But the face gets X0 damage from most types and uses the same rules.
>>
>>52023695
>same rules
>Any face hit or skull hit triggers HT check for knockdown, but Face have HT-5 on major wound, and Skull HT-10. And to fall unconscious, you need to fail this check by 5 or more.
Are you sure plain punching faces good choice?
Anyway everyone if he doesn't murderhobo willing to negotiate after get solid hit in the head, even if this don't lights out him
>>
>>52023117
If a disadvantage fails to achieve it's namesake it should not be worth points.
I am of the philosophy of pick things that link to who the character is, so I rarely make self control rolls, because my characters tend to just give into the compulsion, unless it is obvious that giving into the quality that calls for it is a bad idea.
>>
>>52022783

>> "or is this player being a faggot?"

How does sexuality factor into the equation at all?
>>
>>52023684

In a way, they do err on the side of cinematic conventions. By the RAW/Core rules, *if* the character survives the attack, they won't ever suffer from any sort of potential neurological disorder that results from getting their brain banged around. You need "GURPS Martial Arts" for those sort of rules.
>>
>>52024857
Martial Arts. A game where your point value can get lower every session.
>>
>>52024821
This is 4chan. Everyone here is a faggot.
>>
>>52018748
>>52018807
Don't you have to pay points for your most expensive body?
>>
>>52023334
Action 3. As long as you're sneaking up on someone and using a crushing weapon, any attack that penetrates DR to the skull is an immediate and safe KO.
>>
>>52025826
Not him, but what about non-cinematic rules?
>>
>>52025902
Fish for a failed KD&S with blows to the groin, vitals, face, or skull like the anon earlier was talking about. Really though, if you're in melee with someone you need to KO rather than kill, grapple them; strikes for unconsciousness aren't reliable, safe, or fast in GURPS or real life, so go for a sleeper hold instead.
>>
Hey newfag here. How do you guys go about tryna get gurps material? I'm looking for Warriors (3rd ed) and Middle Ages 1, for the record
>>
>>52026455
same poster: also, they're not on the mega :(
>>
What program should I use to make a character?
>>
>>52026488
GCS is by far the most useful and handy of all char-gen softs.
>>
>>52026488
I like GCS personally, but if I'm doing something weird/custom, I just use notepad.

>>52026455
I can check my personal collection, but some stuff just doesn't exist as a PDF because no one has scanned the books for one reason or another.
>>
File: deus-vult.png (107KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
deus-vult.png
107KB, 300x225px
>>52026734
That would be super nice anon, cheers :D

Related question: so the idea is to make a vaguely For-Honor inspired campaign: an 1100 AD crusaders' war tent outside occupied Acre is inexplicably teleported to an Australia-sized landmass with scarce resources, along with a grab-bag of warrior-cultures (mostly from around 600 AD) who obviously don't speak the language. Shenanegans ensue.

Here's a question: How would you deal with injury and recovery in a low-tech no-magic campaign? I'm all for realism but it doesn't sound like a fun time to tell the PCs their character has to take 3 months' recovery time every time they take a solid hit and cross their fingers that nothing gets infected. I'm thinking of introducing some magic handwavery literally just to deal with this, but I'm interested in getting some opinions here
>>
>>52026834
I can think of a few solutions.

Everyone has a backup character. Squires, vassals, and similar NPCs are bought as allies and can be used temporarily while the main character is out of commission. This is also an opportunity for players to try out different character styles; the straightforward honorable warrior might have a brutally pragmatic sneak as a servant.

Use templates to make chargen fast and easy and make new characters as necessary. If Sir Bauldric get his sword arm pulped, he retires, shows up as an NPC every now and then, and the player brings a new character into play. This isn't the best option if you want to get deep into roleplaying though, as the players probably won't have time to get attached to their characters; on the flip side, they might have an X-COM experience and get *super* attached to any character that manages to survive more than a few engagements.

High point values so you don't get crippled in the first place. 400-point gods of the battlefield should be able to overcome and overpower even trained veterans en masse. This probably isn't what you're looking for, but it's an option. If Champions from Monster Hunters can take on a pack of werewolves or cadre of vampires, someone at their point value can probably go full Dynasty Warriors on an army of mooks.

Do nothing. Low-tech warriors have high HT, Fit, and Rapid Healing/Very Rapid Healing for a reason. This approach also makes straightforward combat not be the end-all-be-all of the campaign; diplomacy may surface, tactics may be employed, and stealth and deceit utilized if every combat has a chance to lay even the might warriors low. Realistically, downtime would also be a thing, and good TL-appropriate medical care plus high HT and Rapid Healing/Very Rapid Healing will bring anyone that wasn't thoroughly curbstomped back into the fight relatively soon. Lastly, solid armor against human-level ST and weapons is fucking great; warriors would invest in their iconic armors.
>>
>>52026455
I'm uploading them both to the trove, check a few minutes after my post.
Middle Ages is pretty gud, desu.
You can also check out 4e Crusades, and Loadouts - Low-tech Armors if you haven't already.
>>
>>52026980
Those are actually pretty good ideas. You're right that 400-point is a little high-power for what I have in mind, but you're also right that it's probably worthwhile to see what kind of mileage I can get out of TL-appropriate measures. Thinking about it, you're thirdly right that without some magical support network, any sort of armed combat is going to be ass-clenchingly terrifying, even if the PC's are in chainmail vs. some rando peasant with a spear - and not the sort of thing to be entered lightly. Which is a nice dynamic.

>>52027038
Got 'em! Thanks anon :D
>>
>>52027675
Best part is that you can always change it later is lack of magical healing is making the game unfun; weird lights in the night sky and a few trippy dreams later, magic is now a thing. Starting with magic and taking it away if you don't like it is a big no-no in most groups (especially if any of them invested even a single point into magical skills), but introducing it after the fact is okay because it adds another tool to your players' (and you NPCs') toolbox.
>>
File: but-why.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
but-why.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>52026455
>3rd ed
>>
>>52028194
Because third edition books, much like fourth edition books, have a lot of useful information in them beside mechanics.
>>
I got a trial pass to this brazilian download site for 10 free downloads (I already used 5).

I can take requests if anyone is interested and its not in the Mega already (pls check there first so I'm not wasting downloads)
>>
>>52028327
Theres some old autoduel stuff I want to get actually, thats not in the mega, but Ill still take requests
>>
>>52023155
This.

A lot of people think disads are totally and solely about trading something that handicaps the character for additional points--a punishment.

But the points are also a reward. Every disad is a "character hook," to distinguish the character from everyone else's. Every disad is an opportunity for roleplaying and storytelling.

This isn't to say that excessive disads don't make the game unplayable ("I wanted a character with IQ 25 so I made him quadriplegic, Hunted by the FBI and the Mafia on a 14 or less, terminally ill, with Overconfident, Bloodlust, Berserk, Bad Temper, Alcoholic, Paranoia, Pyromania, a phobia of the number 13, Manic Depression, Oblivious, and an Odious Personal Habit of making constant fart jokes that causes a -3 reaction")--but a good GM always keeps in mind that there are two sides to disads.
>>
>>52028469
>A lot of people think disads are totally and solely about trading something that handicaps the character for additional points--a punishment.
They think like that because of their GMs allowed this. Its a circle. And when someone try to break it, it starts to confronting with their comfort zone "Disadvantages=free points".
And on the other side
>Like wft duude, why i need all those Disadvantages to let me being able to ROLEPLAY facts from backstory like this is my character and he is SJW, or Alcoholic, or he do c-c-cocaine and lolis or whatewer, duuude wft is this, duuude?
>>
>>52029089
>my character is an SJW
so... Odious Personal Habit (makes everything about his politics), -2 reaction? plus Oblivious (can't take a hint, doesn't know when to shut up)?

I kid, I kid.
>>
>>52029668
Actually, that's pretty spot on
>>
In GCS How do I add a template to a character?
Just drag and drop the advantages/disadvantages?
>>
>>52029842
Yep. Everything should be collected into two packages (advantages/disadvantages and skills) you can drag n' drop.
>>
>>52029842
Drag and drop, and you need to hit the area it fits in. Takes some getting used to, but you'll see the cursor icon change
>>
Is there a splat or Pyramid issue that helps GMs flesh out settlements and cities besides City Stats?
>>
File: 1476486166871.png (5MB, 2390x738px) Image search: [Google]
1476486166871.png
5MB, 2390x738px
Besides the Grimwyrd folks that we know already, what sorts of games are you guys playing/getting into?
>>
>>52030332
I'm trying to homebrew for the first time in GURPS.

I'm trying to understand powers.
>>
>>52030535
Anything in particular you're having trouble getting?

>>52030332
I'm the guy that posted about the Samurai/Western game a few threads ago.
>>
>>52030682
How does it work exactly?
I'm used to anima where when I want to make a custom thing I have a table with the price and modifiers, but I can't seem to find the power actual price.

Is to say; I want to make a character able to create updrafts:
I would go "Environmental Control-Control and create (Air)->Create (Updraft)" But I have no modifiers so I'm confused, but I go on.
Now I have no idea how to cost the power or do anything at all to go on so I'm lost again since none of what I have done so far seems to actually matter (the cost on itself doesn't increase or decrease) and I can just discern the manual going "make it up".

In short: I have no fucking idea how to do this, I'm used to autistic tables.
>>
>>52030890
Control (Powers, page 90 (P90)) at an appropriate price for air. That advantage has a price based on the rarity of the thing you're controlling. You then use limitations and enhancements to modify the price by multiplying the base price by the percentage modifier (B100~102 covers this). You should read Basic Set first before delving into Powers so you understand what you're doing.
>>
>>52030078
Anybody...??
>>
>>52031015
It's barely been an hour, no need to re-ask. GURPS generals are slow. Afraid I don't have anything, though- I've just used City Stats in the past.
>>
>>52030956
The problem is finding the base price and modifiers, I do understand the % modifiers.

Although thanks, I was looking at the start of the book.
>>
>>52031071
The base price is immediately after the bold heading for every advantage. Control has Variable as its price, and within the text it states the cost (Common is 20/level, Occasional is 15/level, etc.)
>>
>>52030890
For starters, Powers =/= Abilities. Powers are just thematic descriptors like "Fire Control" or "Telepathy" while Abilities are specific things you can do within that power such as Burning Attack or Mind Reading. Grouping Abilities as part of a broader Power has a few advantages, namely that they all benefit from a Talent that gives +1/level to all relevant rolls.

Build the things you want to do with advantages and relevant enhancements and limitations, then group them under a Power.

As for your specific example, like >>52030956 said you can use Control (Air), but that might not be the best bet. If the ability is just meant to shove people around, a Crushing Attack (No Wounding; Double Knockback) would be better. If you control wind to blow yourself around, Flight is more appropriate. Regardless of what you end up choosing though, the entire suite of abilities would go under the Power of "Air."
>>
>>52030332
I'm gearing up to do a sci-fi campaign in the next couple of months. At the moment i'm sounding out potential players. Biggest thing is priming them on the tone of the campaign, and driving home the idea of narrative over simply completing tasks. Most of them have some RPG experience, but they're used to a very linear approach where characters don't really matter, they're just some hit points with a list of skills.

The final details of the setting/adventures will wait until the group's assembled, but at the moment I think it will end up somewhere between Eclipse Phase (horror, existential dread, unknown threats), Firefly (doing whatever it takes to keep the ship flying, big disparities between tech levels) and Shadowrun (cool cyber-gear, corporations run everything, don't ever cut a deal with a space-dragon)
>>
>>52031131
So in short:
Powers-Mechanicless fluff (I'm a fire controller)
Abilities-Numerical crunch (I have a flame thrower ranged attack)

So I look up a build ability and see this:

Fire Bolt (+10%): Burning Attack 9d (Increased 1/2D, ×5, +10%) [50]. 50p

1. Where do I find burning attack (it's never defined in the powers book, I searched for it nor I can find a priced definition on the base book)
2. Where do I find the price for the base damage of a power?
3. Where do I find the price of increased damage of a power?
Or are these in another book I don't know of?
>>
>>52031432
Power is a supplement that expands on the Advantages chapter of Basic Set: Characters. Go through that before busting out Powers. Also, all variations of [X] Attack are Innate Attack -- an Innate Attack that deals crushing damage is called a Crushing Attack to save space.
>>
>>52031490
That makes sense, but also doesn't and makes me irate beyond words.
>>
>>52026980
With a modest investment in Fit, Rapid Healing and HT 12 you are rolling vs 18 to heal every day and to see if serious injuries can heal without surgery or not. Anybody that wasn't WRECKED will be back up and able to fight again in a week or so. If someone went full berserk mode to stay alive and fought down to -44 HP they are down a month.. but.. shouldn't they be?

>>52028010
You could also just creep up slowly. Add Regeneration (Very Slow) as a character option to replace Very Rapid Healing.

It only really matters for people that want to play in the XL class, but 20HP does double all healing rates.
>>
>>52031557
Honestly I'm more a fan of Innate Attack (Crushing), but thems the breaks. And you really should have covered Basic Set, at least Characters, before busting out other books.
>>
>>52031690
I was talking how you have to read characters before reading the rest, makes me mad because it's not modular at all and forces you to learn a book by hand before learning another, but also makes sense.
>>
>>52031841
Other books definitely assume familiarity with he Basic Set. It's a good and a bad thing because it saves space restating things that are already there, but it also means you really do have to nail down those two books.
>>
I have a question about the Charitable Disadvantage.

"Charitable
-15 points*

You are acutely aware of others’ emotions, and feel compelled to help those around you – even legitimate enemies. Make a self-control roll in any situation where you could render aid or are specifically asked for help, but should resist the urge. If you fail, you must offer assistance, even if that means violating orders or walking into
a potential trap."

Now, even if you are a charitable sort of chap/lad, you won't automatically believe the reason behind a plea for help unless you also possess the Gullibility Disadvantage.

"Gullibility
-10 points*

There’s one born every minute, and you’re it. You believe everything you hear. You’ll swallow even the most ridiculous story, if it’s told with conviction.

Make a self-control roll, modified by the plausibility of the story, whenever you are confronted with a lie – or an improbable truth, for that matter. If you fail, you believe what you were told!"

However, what happens if a character with the Charitable Disadvantage alone succeeds on their Body Language/Detect Lies roll by a wide enough margin and/or possesses an ability that supernaturally picks up on falsehoods? In other words: what if they KNOW they are walking into a trap...that the person asking for assistance doesn't need any and just wants to set them up for ruination (possibly even death!0 of some sort?
>>
>>52031954
Charitable w/o Gullibility: If they're lying they don't really need aid and I can't really help them anyway since their problem doesn't really exist.

Charitable w/ Gullibility: "What? <some completely unbelievable thing> is going to eat the toes off everyone you love if I don't help adjust this guillotine to fit my neck? I'll do what I can to help!"

N.B. If the lie is obvious no roll would be require for the person without Gullibility. Even the person with Gullibility gets modifiers to his roll against the truly outlandish.
>>
File: 1472866815835.jpg (1MB, 1598x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1472866815835.jpg
1MB, 1598x1352px
>>52031954
If the person doesn't legitimately need help, and you know it, then Charitable doesn't come into effect. If an enemy is crying out "help me, I can't swim!" but you know he can you can tell him to fuck himself rather then jump into ice water.

But if, for example..

An enemy, someone you honestly have serious conflict with, is shot by a third party and pinned down behind a bit of wall. You know it's a trap, that the sniper wounded the first man to try and lure more. You know if you try to help your foe, it's going to be dangerous..

But the need is legitimate, so you have to roll Charitable.

It comes down to "do you believe they really need your help?"

With Gullible, it's much, much easier for people to convince you that they do need your help.
>>
>>52028469
Character hook is a good way to put it.

>>52029089
I agree that GMs are also a part of the problem. A lot of the people that play the game have this misconception, and GMs especially need to become aware of it so they can work on getting it out of their games.

>>52029668
Jokes aside, this is legitimately how it should go.

"I want my character to be like this, to do that all the time, and to really like this sort of thing and hate that sort of thing."

Great. You get points for all of those. Just write them down here.
>>
>>52030332
I'm in a magical post-apocalypse game.
We're playing as a paramilitary faction in the ruins of southern France, and are currently fighting a war against a cabal of mages. It's fun.
>>
>>52033487
Hmm. It sounds like Rifts + The Morrow Project, but grittier. It sounds like a setting with potential for a great deal of fun if handled well.
>>
>>52033515
>grittier
It's kind of all over the place, tonally.
On one hand we've hunted a religious fanatic that burns kids alive, and been drug mules for a shady officer, but on the other we've had tea with an incompetent witch and kidnapped a underage "druid".
There's parts of the setting that only really work if you don't think too hard about them, but it's overall been great fun.

We're currently debating the fastest way to get to Malta.
>>
Bump.

Anyone here playing a World War II game, or has in the past?
>>
>>52035779
Have a plan for one, Marines, that would grow into including fantasy elements. But I'm really afraid of fucking up.
>>
>>52035885
>>52035779
I had a campaign end on a time travel cliffhanger in Rome during the allied invasion. Never panned out
>>
>>52031954
>However, what happens if a character with the Charitable Disadvantage alone succeeds on their Body Language/Detect Lies roll by a wide enough margin and/or possesses an ability that supernaturally picks up on falsehoods? In other words: what if they KNOW they are walking into a trap...that the person asking for assistance doesn't need any and just wants to set them up for ruination (possibly even death!0 of some sort?
It's called "roleplaying a specific coviction". You should try it some day.
>>
>>52036559
then, too, there are different levels of risk for different characters.

Superman can climb into that car where the bank robbers left the hostage with the ticking time bomb--and probably rescue the hostage, too. And there's no personal danger to him, for anything but his reputation.

Joe Random Cop, on the other hand, is in a lot of very real danger here, if the bomb is real (the hostage doesn't have to be).
>>
>>52035779

Sure. Thule sorcerers and Nazi zombies, supported by mad scientist were aiding the Axis war machine in secret, so the US, UK and Candida responded by gathering every monster willing to help. American werewolves and Navajo skinwalkers joined up with French and British witches and a Prussian vampire that hated the Nazis more then anyone.

We stopped them from unlocking the secrets of the book of the dead in Africa then wiped out a secret submarine base in Brazil before getting back to Southampton for some R&R and training the preternatural home army and women's auxiliary. That uncovered a vampire plot to infiltrate the UK.
>>
>>52036773
>Prussian vampire that hated the Nazis more then anyone.

Being a cynical bastard, I am imagining this vampire guy as a royalist who wanted to bring back the Kaisers.

"And zese Nazis, zis Hitler, zey are actually TALKING to ze peasantry, und trying to vin ELECTIONS! Can you believe it? It's disgusting! Ve are ze TRUE 'master race' und ve rule mit blood and iron!"

IRL there were Germans in the 1920s and 1930s who hated Hitler because he made speeches for "peasants" and "commoners" which they found obscene and disgusting and utterly inappropriate for someone aspiring to the title of Kaiser of the Reich.

It sounds like you're already exploring the fact that not everyone who hated Hitler did so for the reasons we would, and not all of these people were sympathetic, especially by 21st Century standards. I choose to laugh at that era of history because the alternative is to scream.
>>
>>52036953
You aren't really wrong. I get the feeling he hated democracy because of the idea that a Bavarian sausage maker was the equal to a Prussian blue blood was not just incorrect, it was an insult to the Natural Order.

And he has said a few times that Germany is a Frankenstein's monster that should not exists.
>>
File: grupsmage.gif (77KB, 290x395px) Image search: [Google]
grupsmage.gif
77KB, 290x395px
Looking for a link to a quality pdf of this book, file I have is fucked, thank you all two of you

GURPS MAGE THE ASS ENGINE
>>
>>52037359
The one I have has some missing pages too, so I doubt theres a good one floating about.
>>
>>52037483
Thank you.
>>
>>52035885
What sort of fantasy elements?
>>
Making big Spartan guy with spear and shield as chapter boss. His main features:
1) He is SM+2 but know how to defend himself from tiny people [Obscure (Vision) (Defensive, Stealthy, Cosmic (Only reduce bonus to hit me from SM difference)+200%] 2) Giant Spear (Reach 2-5) for shish-kebabing enemies who caught in row [I don't know how, actually, but IA + 1-hex cone too powerful as it counts as AOE] so right now it is Rapid Attack * 6 against up to 4 enemies who caught in line, with extra Attack to anyone who was smart enough to just step back.
3) Shield Bash. His shield big and wide enough to hit two or maybe three losers at once, so again it is Rapid Attack * 2 to hit two adjacent enemies in shield reach. With double knockback.

And PC came to fight him with 20 25%-mooks as "army" (5 per PC), so no fear of TPK as mooks will try to make self sacrifice.
>>
File: 1589197.jpg (45KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1589197.jpg
45KB, 480x720px
>>52040040
Feels kinda cheap to just nerf the SM bonus to hit like that, but it does work. Note that at SM +2 this guy is about 15 feet tall and and is likely rocking an ST between 24 and 32, enough to make him very hard to take down.

This raises the question, to me at least..

Why fight him close up at all? Even if you've got 25 Aragonughts with you it would be best to keep them far away and deny him a fight where he can make use of his obvious abilities.

Make sure you have a good reason for them to fight him where they can be clever, but they can't totally avoid fighting him and seeing what he can do.
>>
>>52040208
He is guardian, and he won't left his post.
And for killing him local barons owe some favour for PC and his gear is source of fine quality wood and steel for party crafters, in addition to treasures and portal he was guarding.

And yes, lure him in trap, instead of straight clash depends just on personal choice of the party as the price and consequences they take
>>
A role-playing inducted question.
Let's assume your PC is a freshly liberated slave. Starting with Slave Mentality, obviously. Which means fuck-huge penalties.
Can you eventually drop this disadvantage and of course repay the amount of points required? You know, being free for quite some time, slowly adjusting to not being a "talking tool" and stuff like that?
>>
File: 1401851118187.jpg (77KB, 717x760px) Image search: [Google]
1401851118187.jpg
77KB, 717x760px
>>52041662
Slave Mentality is really only appropriate for utterly broken, Stockhome-syndrome humans, robots and creatures that are supernaterally compelled to obedience.

For most slaves in a realistic game you could expect social stigma, low self image and PTSD related disadvantages like Bad Temper, Nightmares, Flashbacks and Depression.

If you do have Slave Mentality as a mental disadvantage then yes, you could typically remove it when it no longer suits the character. This increases your point total unless it's replaced by an equal value disadvantage, so it would take up some of your unassigned points.
>>
>>52041795
I'm talking about someone born a slave. Our GM is planning to run a TL4 Caribbean campaign and this was the idea I've got for a PC. I'm fully aware how bad the disadvantage is and honesly, I don't even need the points it gives, since I've got more than enough without it.
It's a purely role-playing excercise, but it can only work if I will be eventually able to drop it one day.
>>
>>52018149
Noob question: can you make check for skills that you don't have? Say you don't invest a single point into Climbing, but want to scale that tree. Can you make the roll, using some baseline value or you are fucked?
>>
>>52041921
There are usually default values listed for skills.
>>
>>52041895
Just because it has the word "slave" in its name doesn't mean it's 100% appropriate for a Carribean slave boy.
Just like we already told you, it often represents unthinking robots and zombies, not people in indentured servitude
>>
>>52039170
>What sort of fantasy elements?

Well shit started coming out of the wood work, ghosts carrying bodies, stuff from https://www.reddit.com/r/Brunei/comments/3j1srx/anyone_know_anything_borneo_folklore_and_monsters/

Maybe shit in Japan. Not big things, just little ones which are of the type where everyone knows but no one talks about. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hinder, depends on what side of the war the state is on and how much they're like "Fuck Japan."

Then I kill off the party, take all the Marine Memes, and run with them.

Specifically, Marines don't die, they go to hell and regroup.

Yes it turns into a fight your way out of hell back to the living and it would turn into a Magic Came Back campaign.

While they're in hell I'd give them a bunch of disadvantages like depression and stuff like that as a side effect of being in hell. Also to make up for the unkillable and few other advantages I give em.
>>
>>52042130
Edit: I'd honestly prefer to go full AU and just have a small detachment of marines in Europe as I'm more familiar with the mythology there and the increase in magic would be more balanced (as in there would be local people with magic on your side as well as against you.)
>>
>>52042037
K, will work with it. Or rather - without it. Now at least it's clear I really don't need it in the first place.
>>
I'm trying to design a Trademark Move for a pregen where the character - upon being targeted with a sword attack - hops backwards out of range and snips at the attacker's outstretched hand with his own sword. I'm not really sure how to adjudicate it. It looks like there's a dodge and retreat followed by a counterattack, but I'm not totally satisfied by that.

For starters, I haven't seen any rules that would let somebody target an outstretched hand when they're too far away to target the torso (but I don't mind houseruling that one). But counterattack gives penalties only to parry; but really, it seems like dodging and blocking would be at least as difficult in that situation than a parry.

It also looks a lot like a riposte (because you're attacking each other at the same time), but that's specifically for parrying. I guess I could houserule it into accepting a dodge instead of a parry....

How would you guys handle this? There's most likely something I'm missing....
>>
>>52043270
Check out the Rapid Retraction perk; IIRC, it gives a penalty to people attacking feet/legs mid-kick. Reverse-engineer whatever rules let you attack outstretched feet/legs in the first place.
>>
>>52043270
Include additional use of parry as low-damage attack (Aggressive Parry as precedent) (-2 or -1 per die) [-1]
No parry bonuses [+1]
Limited target: (Attacking Hand/Arm of Attacker) [+1]
For total [Parry+1] (Tech/H) limited [Parry+4]
>>
I asked yesterday and never got a reply, so I'll try again;

but what does Gurpsgen use to flesh out their main adventuring cities and outposts/towns? Any good Pyramid issuea out there or a good DF splat for this sort of thing?
>>
>>52036953
Hitler dindu muffin
>>
>>52043435
Specifically what sort of shops would be on a TL7 world with CR 5, how hard it would it be to find blackmarkets. Any museums or libraries or other things for research or adding bonus to skill rolls? And how should the available amenities tie in to population, etc, etc.

I already have City Stats. BTW
>>
>>52043384
Looking at it, it's mostly to defend against joint locks and leg grapples. Adapting a joint lock to an armed skill would leave me with something much like counterattack. Which is a perfectly valid option, I'm just shopping around :D

>>52043400
That actually looks pretty good. I was thinking trademark move but actually this might be better. Cheers, anon

>>52043435
AFAIK that's really about it for crunching cities mechanically. You might get some additional mileage out of Boardroom and Curia, or by taking inspiration from some of the locations (or setting write-ups) they've published previously.
>>
>>52043495
>TL7 world with CR 5
Sounds like Soviet Russia to me.

>how hard it would it be to find blackmarkets
Streetwise roll with population modifiers for hirelings on B517, adjusted to "feel" right for how oppressive the law is in that area.

>Any museums or libraries or other things for research or adding bonus to skill rolls?
The USSR had them. You can bet there's a penalty to learn things the state doesn't want you to learn, if the material is even available in the first place. Ignored libraries or massive ones probably would have such information.

> And how should the available amenities tie in to population
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. How do people get electricity, or heating? Depends on the infrastructure. If it's poor, or production isn't enough, there will probably be rolling brownouts or whatever califags have/had. I bet burning wood for heat would be popular.
>>
>>52041895
Slave Mentality isn't about literal slaves (usually).
Remember Shawshank Redemption? And how Red had to ASK for permission if he can go to toilet, because otherwise he couldn't pee? Now apply it to entire day-to-day life. That's Slave Mentality in action.
>>
What's the consensus on Ultra Tech? I've heard that some of the tech books are more balanced than others, are there any tweaks / house rules worth implementing to help keep it level?
In particular I seem to remember hearing that weapon damage quickly makes armour almost redundant.
>>
>>52045387
It does. What's the point of wearing armor, if most of the weapon will easily disintegrate you. Along with everything else in pretty hefty adius.

It's good for running spaceships and things like that, but the moment you start using portable toys that can be used by single person, the game is simply off.
On the other hand, SMAC book is technically Ultra Tech and it's pretty good, but then again, the local "fauna" is going to kill you regardless of TL of your equipment.
>>
>>52045387
It isn't as generic as many hoped for; it assumes a future where armor is secondary to stealth, ECM, and sensor/detection technologies. If you keep that in mind and run combat engagements as cat-and-mouse-meets-rocket-tag rather than stand-up battles, it's sort of passable, but people throw weapons vs armor and are upset when the armor gets shredded.

I say "sort of passable" because there's some unquestionable oddities like the MBT has lighter armor than a current-day LBT. No amount of focus on stealth excuses that.
>>
>>52045434
SMAC is also 3rd edition, and converting it is something not everyone wants to deal with.
>>
>>52045434
>>52045514
Thanks. The cat and mouse bit of it sounds interesting, especially as my players will probably be unable to get their hands on military-level gear most of the time.

What's SMAC? Not familiar with the acronym
>>
>>52045658
Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. The actual title is just GURPS: Alpha Centauri.
>>
>>52045646
>3rd edition
Since when?
>>
>>52045387
Unless you are planning to imagine future mid-90s style (STEALTH! PLASMA! UNMANNED TURRETS!), it's pretty bad.
And yeah, the way how armor is handled is just ridiculous. The weapons are so powerful the only reason you want to carry personal armor is the possibility of enemy being somehow not advanced enough and using lower TL weapons.
>>
File: image.png (879KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
879KB, 1136x640px
>>52045784
Unless there's another version I'm missing, since it was published?
>>
File: 1437440618100.png (71KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
1437440618100.png
71KB, 700x467px
>>52045897
I... I guess I've played the game wrong.
I was always using it with 4th ed.
>>
>>52045926
Props to you I guess. Was there no issue with 4e dropping Snap Shot and PD or changing attribute costs?

I mean, if you can use SMAC in 4e without even realizing there's an edition difference, I guess they aren't too incomparable and converting it isn't too hard.
>>
>>52045985
Nah, I just know SMAC by heart, so I barely flipped paged for GURPS: Alpha Centauri few times to search stuff and that was it. I'm familiar enough with the setting to just pick things from Basic, High and Ultra tech when needed, especially since most of specific stuff ends up with reading the froum. Vehicles are 3rd ed anyway, so I didn't even notice with them, since, duh.

Holy fuck, I've been running SMAC games for past... 9 years? Yeah, somewhere in late April it will be 9 years since I've run first SMAC game on GURPS.
And I didn't even noticed it's for 3rd ed.
>>
What kind of fun do you guys think a TK-focused martial artist can get into? Telekinetic power/breaking blows seem obvious, what else?
>>
>>52045846
That's disappointing. I'll have to nosey around the different books and try and compile something more reasonable.
>>
>>52046434
Sheilds to improve their blocks? Extending their blows a few inches?

A technique to keep blood/hair/sweat out of your eyes?

Super Jumps?

Be a fucking Jedi?
>>
>>52046434
Just go and watch Chronicle. Not only it's suprisingly good and definitely /tg/-related (and approved) movie, it's probably the best use of TK in fiction since... ever.
>>
>>52046698
Just stick with the end gear from High Tech and expand from there.
And like other anons said, it only starts to fall apart when you give all those shiny Ultra Tech weapons to infantry. As long as they are too big/heavy to be anything else than vehicle-mounted, things are (mostly) fine.
>>
>>52047232
Yeah, I think I'll rename a few things to give a spacey feel, but in general they shouldn't be wandering around with heavy ordnance anyway. No-one wants to be the person who misses the villain, punctures three bulkheads and exposes the station crèche to vacuum...
>>
>>52047312
>No-one wants to be the person who misses the villain, punctures three bulkheads and exposes the station crèche to vacuum...
Have you tried playing Paranoia?
>>
>>52047445
Got the books, never played unfortunately. If one of my players is stupid enough to bring AP rounds to a fight on a station, I'll definitely make them regret any mishaps, Friend Computer or no.
My group have a history of not considering the consequences of their actions, so a proper disaster might be a good way to get them to be a bit more thoughtful.

Thank-you kind anons for your suggestions, I'm a lot happier now.
>>
>>52047445
>three bulkheads
I doubt it could.
Even then, it'd take some time for the crèche's atmosphere to escape. If there's a crèche, there are undoubtedly drills just about evacuating it and fixing the hole, and more than a few past problems with micro meteorites and debris.
>>
>>52048743
Just looking at some of the handheld gauss weapons in untra-tech, 6d8 and dividing armour by 10, I think three bulkheads is more than reasonable assuming they aren't armoured.

Also, you're correct. There will be drills in place, rapid-response repair teams etc. No-one is likely to die unless a round catches them on the way through.
However, think about how families and the authorities on the station would react. Most people don't have a sense of humour when it comes to their kids. They're unlikely to view the characters with any sympathy after this. Discharging a (probably restricted) weapon, endangering their families and causing damage to the station is the sort of thing that gets people spaced.
>>
>>52049002
double-checking, i realise i've got some of the weapon damage/divisor stats mixed up.

That said, i still think three walls is do-able
>>
>>52049002
Oh, UT, probably. I thought you were only going to use HT stuff.
>>
>>52049121
I think I'm muddying the waters. That was my argument to avoid ultra-tech, as they shouldn't need it 95% of the time.
>>
GURPS Sex for 4e when?
>>
File: 1472927942932.png (36KB, 516x488px) Image search: [Google]
1472927942932.png
36KB, 516x488px
>>52051773
>>
>>52051773
>>
>>52051959

You forgot Push, Erotic Art and Animal Handling.
>>
>>52052121
And Monowire Whip.
>>
>>52052121
How the fuck do you miss
>Erotic Art
In that list?
>>
File: I don't get it.gif (804KB, 1307x734px) Image search: [Google]
I don't get it.gif
804KB, 1307x734px
>>52052121
>>52052293
>Erotic Art
>>
>>52052121
And Sex Appeal
>>
File: 1482775757626.jpg (357KB, 534x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482775757626.jpg
357KB, 534x800px
>>52052509
>Erotic Art
Like this. I guess it's a Artistic specialty?
>>
>>52052645

Sex Appeal gets your foot in the door. We are dealing with the phase when your foot is up an ass.
>>
How powerful were crossbows historically speaking?
>>
How many points should a gay or lesbian disad be?
>>
>>52056060
>>
>>52056060
Most of the time is nothing more than a Quirk. Of course in some places it may be a Secret, going from Embarassing to Death.
>>
File: Capture.png (98KB, 590x507px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
98KB, 590x507px
>>52056060
>>
>>52056337
Not bad. Only one bit of confusion, where he mixed up gender identity with sexual identity, but that's not bad at all.

>>52056207
That seems like a proper range.

Quirk, for places where you have legal protections of anyone else and face only rare bigoted reactions. (Modern world in rare places, most RPG settings where your GM dose not want to deal with it very much)

Social Stigma (Minority) in most places, where your legal rights are limited and the majority of people will consider your sexually unacceptable, but you generally won't be harmed for it.

Social Stigma (Minority) and Enemy (Law Enforcement), for places where you can be legally punished, assaulted and imprisoned for your sexually. (Nearly everywhere before the 1960s, many places in the modern world).

Social Stigma (Monster) and Enemy (Law Enforcement (Hunted)) for places where your sexually can result in you being legally killed.
>>
>>52055166
Depends. Typically, crossbows had much more poundage behind them than an English longbow but the mechanism was much more inefficient so that's somewhat misleading. Here's a writeup, briefly:

http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/cross_l_v_c.html
>>
File: kaname.png (103KB, 488x528px) Image search: [Google]
kaname.png
103KB, 488x528px
>>52056466
The text does say 'crossdressing' and not 'transgendered', the former can be a sexually charged activity, the latter is a gender identity (I would know)
>>
>>52056337
What book is that in? I pride myself on encyclopedic knowledge of GURPS and I've never seen that before.
>>
>>52057371
Power-Ups 6, page 26
>>
>>52057371
Power Ups: Quirks.
>>
>>52056466
At least they wrote the article with the correct usage of the terms pansexual and asexual(describing a society, and not an individual """""gender""""")
>>
>>52057402
>>52057393
Never looked through PU: Quirks before. It's actually a pretty interesting read.
>>
File: 1402137672660.jpg (55KB, 578x441px) Image search: [Google]
1402137672660.jpg
55KB, 578x441px
>>52057371
>I pride myself on encyclopedic knowledge of GURPS
>>52058103
>Never looked through PU: Quirks before
>>
What SM do i have to be before normal humans can only target below my waist with reach 1 weapons? Alternatively what do i have to be before they start getting penalties to hit torso?
>>
>>52058759
B, 402
Combat at different levels
>>
>>52058818
Thanks anon but i dont think this really covers what I'm talking about. It only covers how SM/Reach can make it easier to fight someone who is on a platform above you.
>>
>>52058890
What will be actual difference to hit in the head 12 feet man and 6 feet man on 6 feet tall platform?
>>
>>52058890
Pyramid #3/77 as an article on fightining people of different sizes.
>>
I've got a question about pricing for an item in Dungeon Fantasy. Monster drool poison is $20/dose. What's a reasonable cost for an item (cloth/whetstone/whatever) that applies poison to a weapon, but never runs out of doses? Basically, the cornucopia quiver, but it makes monster drool instead of arrows?
>>
>>52055166
Read The Deadly Spring for realistic bows and crossbows.

>>52059314
A cornucopia makes ordinary arrows, one at a time, for $110 (x55 a normal arrow's cost). If you feel like that's a fair multiplier, you can then extrapolate the cost of an item that produces infinite, single applications of monster drool to be $1,100.
>>
>>52059424
That seems reasonable for infinite, single applications of monster drool. Unholy Warriors have a perk that gives them poisonous saliva equivalent to monster drool, and Dungeon Fantasy magic items are generally priced at $1000 per point. Thanks, anon.
>>
How to handle non-typical order for craftsmen? I've read the standard rules from Low-Tech companion, explaining costs, time etc, but they are all about standard issue stuff.
What if you ask something from different TL, but LOWER than the current one? Say, you are TL4 and so is the craftsman, but want from the guy to build you something from TL2?
Or just something that went out of fashion long time ago.
>>
If I were planning a campaign that only used Wildcard! skills, how would I implement something like Ritual Path Magic or its sister-system Incantation Magic? I'm thinking of keeping each path its own skill, remove the cap, drop penalties for lack of a circle, and maybe add in a wildcard bonus. Any other ideas?

>>52060340
Sometimes a drop in TL necessitates a change in technique/tools (i.e. it gives a penalty). This would give the craftsman a penalty that they would cancel out by taking extra time. That extra time required is going to drive the price up significantly. This is just to find a "fair price," mind you; custom work may also carry additional costs just because it's a pain or the craftsman knows he can get more money out of you.

This is assuming that the TL drop doesn't necessitate an entire change of skills like a homebuilder that gets buy on refined Carpentry and Masonry suddenly having to build with mud and straw.
>>
File: guitarduel.jpg (112KB, 490x291px) Image search: [Google]
guitarduel.jpg
112KB, 490x291px
Game about bards and bands.
How to handle ROCK BATTLES and SOLO DUELS? Just as plain QC or threw this shit up and go forth for Social Combat?
How much can I predict my players, for them this ratio gonna be like 0-2 ROCK BATTLE and 2-3 SOLO DUELS per session. In addition with plain bar brawling and gang wars.
>>
Somebody a few days ago posted a link to some GM who had shared the notes and stuff he had used to run some games, anyone has that link again?
>>
>>52060896
Provide more details. Because as for now, I can say "yes", won't lie and in the same time won't have the notes you need
>>
>>52061164
Shit I don't remember, my browser crashed when I tried to have a look and I just remembered it now.
I know it wasn't themook, though. I think it was campaigns too and not convention games.
>>
File: gurpsmathscreaming.jpg (184KB, 560x280px) Image search: [Google]
gurpsmathscreaming.jpg
184KB, 560x280px
>>
File: GURPS 3e Vehicles.gif (335KB, 540x235px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 3e Vehicles.gif
335KB, 540x235px
>>52062461
>>
>>52060409
>>52060340
TL typically represents the time of introduction. For many inventions they stick around and keep getting built at later TL. In those cases you'd just be looking at a person making the higher TL version of that.

IE: Knives are TL 0, but a TL 10 blacksmith could handle one. He might use a zero gravity 3D printer to assemble it one from dust, but it's still a knife.

If you want someone to make something obsolete or obscure and to use old fashioned tools, they take a penalty though. If you ask the TL 10 blacksmith to make the knife with an open hearth, a hammer and some bits of iron and wood, he's going to need to experiment a while to get it right.
>>
>>52063549
I seriously doubt a late TL4 European blacksmith is going to handle a chainmail.
Which is what I need in this case
>>
>>52063696
You're right, a blacksmith isn't going to handle chainmail. He's a blacksmith; he works with iron to make tools and nails and horseshoes.
What you're looking for is an armorer. A TL4 armorer should be able to make a set of chain easily enough, though.
>>
>>52060539

Is it going to be simultaneous battles like the scene from Casablanca, or are they taking turns?

Well, if you're going full cinematic can start fully choreographed at the drop of the hat, that's simple. But it might be more interesting to make them learn songs as skills/techniques and to plan out what happens at the beginning.

In general, audience preference gives bonuses and penalties, polka at a rock concert is -10. Roll every turn (modified by the audience prefrence) for approval ratings.

For band battles I feel like you need to insert some strategy into it. Everyone rolls against their effective level of the song, normal success gives +1, every failure is -2? (plus or minus 3 for crits?)

After you can also choose to roll your instrument, so if you have flubbed your song roll you can bring the minus 2 up to a -1 or a 0. Or you can turn the +1 into a +2.

Then they can spend their points, either letting the audience approval add or subtract from their roll and banking them (can't touch them) for the final comparison between bands, or they can spend them to try to buy off the audience approval, or increase their approval.

Roll vs points+audience approval. Margin of success is added to the approval rating. (Need to do something to make it harder to add points the higher your approval is)

You can hold points, so they'll be added to your points NEXT turn...or so you can spend them if you suck and use it to buy off the penalties for an impromptu guitar solo
>>
File: 1431273028368.jpg (283KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1431273028368.jpg
283KB, 768x1024px
>>52063696
>>52063775

A TL 4 armorer could make chainmail, and would know how as it was used for some armor harness to protect flexible areas or for decoration.

He could charge quite a bit for doing a suit, however, as chainmail is quite labor intensive.
>>
>>52063775
>>52065157
That's my entire point. Chainmail is laborous by default and now it's about a guy who has to do "retro" stuff.

And I didn't use word "blacksmith" by accident, even if English is not my first language. So it makes it even harder and more unlikely to get (ignoring the price itself), because the craftsman in question is not of the "right" craft.

All of which is ironic, since my grandpa happend to be what could qualify as TL6/7 blacksmith and he could do just about anything from metal. Thus I know from my biased personal experience it doesn't really matter how you are "labelled", but if you have proper tools and type of metal to work with, but then AGAIN, it's hard to expect from a village blacksmith to deliver the same quality as from an entire guild or similar enterprise of experienced armorers.
>>
>>52065683
So if you're the GM, just rule it.
Back away from the RAW
Make a judgement call
>>
>>52065898
I'm a player. I need to convince my GM for this. It wouldn't be a problem if the campaign was taking place in Asia, since everyone would be using chainmail, but it happens (currently) in Jutland.
>>
What's the optimal range to run Supers with "medium tier" characters? So no Mumen Riders, but also no Superman OP bullshit.
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (125KB, 450x580px) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
125KB, 450x580px
Before I go and buy them all does anybody have the complete The AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guides? None of them are in the Mega.
>>
File: pic1120760_md.jpg (72KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
pic1120760_md.jpg
72KB, 500x281px
>>52066577
Also, I just added the autoduel america map pdf to the mega.
>>
>>52066085
So go convince him with your well thought out argument?
>>
>>52066322
Mutants and Masterminds PL8-10
GURPS doesn't do supers well, and M&M is still super similar to GURPS.

If you're dead set on doing GURPS though, don't do point costs. With Supers shit, stuff can get massively imbalanced, and you've just got to go by concept, and vet each sheet. In GURPS "Luke Cage" costs more than "Invisibile intangible ghost that can knock out every badguy with a touch and teleport their unconcious body to the police station with a note explaining their crimes"-Man. (Plus, the latter can get a quirk for having such a long and unwieldy name)
>>
>>52066887
> Iigtckoebwatattubttpswanetc"-Man.

(Plus, the latter can get a quirk for having such a long and unwieldy name)

It's even a shitty acronym!
>>
>>52066954
Is Ligtckoebwatattubttpswanetc-man the world's first Welsh super hero?
>>
File: 1454509572775.jpg (9KB, 184x177px) Image search: [Google]
1454509572775.jpg
9KB, 184x177px
>>52067097
>>
>>52037040
>>52043466
Oh, it gets worse.

During the war, the Roosevelt Administration leaned on the FBI and a lot of parole boards to let a lot of Sicilian gangsters out of prison and sneak them into Italy to make trouble for the Fascist government. Mussolini and La Cosa Nostra hated one another. Some people have this romantic idea that the people released were brave antiheroes. They were gangsters, cutthroats and murderers. The Mafia and the Fascists were rivals for power, that's all--but it didn't keep thugs like Meyer Lansky and "Lucky" Luciano from milking the US government for all he could get from them during the war, in exchange for things like setting up meetings between US Naval Intelligence agents and Sicilian Mafia guys in Italy, or organizing Mafia hitmen and legbreakers into paid "security guards" for New York's docks and waterfront. They also controlled the (totally corrupt) dockworkers' unions and claimed they prevented strikes during the war.

It gets worse. There was a family in Vietnam called the Diems, of who Ngo Dinh Diem was probably the most famous member. Look them up, and notice how the US government used them, then got rid of them, one by one, when they were judged to be liabilities.

tl;dr war and politics make really, really strange bedfellows, and just because someone is your enemy's enemy, you may want to think twice about climbing into bed with him
>>
>>52066887
>"Luke Cage" costs more than "Invisibile intangible ghost that can knock out every badguy with a touch and teleport their unconcious body to the police station with a note explaining their crimes"-Man

Should we stat that all out?
>>
Anyone here ever played GURPS Traveller: IW?
>>
So I'm looking at pages B394-395 and it says that in High Speed Movement you can move into any of your front three hexes *without* changing facing. Does this apply to horses?
>>
>>52069031
why would they be excluded?
>>
>>52069081
I was just wondering cuz it looks a little silly on a hexmap
>>
>>52069148
You look a little silly on a hexmap
>>
So I'm reading Power-Ups 6 Quirks and I see that there's a philosophical quirk, and there's a box talking about afflicting quirks on the previous page. You can't afflicting a self-imposed mental disadvantage, apparently, but it got me thinking: what would be interesting/entertaining philosophies to afflict fanaticism with?
>>
File: cornmit.jpg (142KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cornmit.jpg
142KB, 1000x1000px
>>52069458
Y-yeah I do :(
>>
>>52069523
Your character is somewhat of a Cyrenaic.
You're a staunch philosophical hedonist, and thus the only intrinsic good you recognise is pleasure. Likewise the only intrinsic evil is pain. Virtues and rules on the other hand doesn't have any intrinsic value, and are only good or evil as a result of the pleasure or pain they cause.

In particular, you highly value intense physical pleasure, and believe that a good life is one where every moment is filled with as much pleasure as possible. Seeking pleasure is the only goal in life.
Physical pleasure comes from sensation, and sensation is momentary, meaning that the pleasure you've felt in the past (or might feel in the future) doesn't really exist. In other words, not only do you believe that pleasure is the only good, and that physical pleasure is the best kind of pleasure, you also believe that it only counts if you're feeling that pleasure right here and now. And it's individual.

If you want a more extreme interpretation, you can stop with what you've already read.

If you want more moderation, your character also believes that it would still be unwise to gorge oneself on too much pleasure in the moment if one knows for a certainty that it will create a larger amount of pain in the future.
Even though things like the law, love and friends aren't good in and of themselves, doesn't mean they can't be valued. Friends are after all a great source of pleasure, and breaking a law might cause you pain.
>>
>>52069912
Does that apply to others as well? Like, if they hurt others in the pursuit of their own pleasures, do they see that as inflicting Evil and avoid it, consider it a necessary evil/see it as ends justifying the means if their pleasure is pleasurable enough, or are they more solipsistic and believe that only the pleasure or pain they personally feel exists or counts as Good/Evil?
>>
>>52070014
>Does that apply to others as well?
Mostly not.

They believe that all knowledge stems from sensation (just like physical pleasure), but you can't really know what anyone else is experiencing. Which arguably makes the search for pleasure an individual pursuit.

That doesn't mean that none of has any idea how another person is experiencing a situation, it's just that sensation is individual so we cannot truly know, just assume.

When it comes to hurting others to gain pleasure, that might be a matter of interpretation. However, I'd say that to my knowledge the most "classical" interpretation is that the only evil is the pain you experience yourself. Therefore hurting another person to gain pleasure isn't really evil as such, since you're just pursuing your individual good. So it would be the latter of your suggestion, the only intrinsic values are the ones you experience yourself.

However, this doesn't mean that you don't have any regard for your fellow man. A Cyrenaic can act altruistically if he believes that the pleasure he would get from feeling altruistic is greater than the pain caused by giving up something. Likewise, if hurting another person causes him to feel bad (emotional pain), he'd generally avoid it. He can still follow laws and act honourably, his motivations for doing so are just rooted in self-interest.

So no, other's pain doesn't really count, but it can tie into pain in yourself.
>>
Is it me or are Pins incredibly broken?
>>
>>52070432
Google "wrestling pin" and go to pictures.
>>
>>52070526
*still*

A ST 12 Wrestling 16 guy could pin a guy without wrestling and at ST 12 DX 10 and *completely destroy* him. I can only imagine a guy in full plate getting pinned, the guy pulling a knife, the guy in plate failing the QC and having to sit through 10 seconds of All-Out Attack Determined Telegraphed Attacks to the chinks.
>>
>>52070925
GURPS has a realistic slant and realistically wrestling is really hard to defend against if you aren't also trained in wrestling.

The thing is, any warrior ever has almost 100% certain been trained in wrestling for this very reason so your example really shouldn't occur.
>>
>>52070925
I thought this is what happens every time some uneducated retard is trying to fight professional martial artist.
>I can only imagine a guy in full plate getting pinned, the guy pulling a knife, the guy in plate failing the QC and having to sit through 10 seconds of All-Out Attack Determined Telegraphed Attacks to the chinks.
Which is why wrestling was a big part of knight training. You still need to grapple him, throw him on the ground and only then pin.
>>
>>52035779
I am planning a game set in the Spanish civil war with magic thrown into the mix.
>>
>>52066577
Hope you waited because I have 1, 2, 4 and 6.
If you could drop 3 and 5 on the mega it'd be nice.
>>
>>52026734
>I can check my personal collection, but some stuff just doesn't exist as a PDF because no one has scanned the books for one reason or another.

If you're down with IRC, you can sometimes find older GURPS books on #rpgbookz on enerla or #bookz on UnderNet.
>>
File: tumblr_o4xx3h8Za51te7qjvo1_1280.jpg (350KB, 686x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4xx3h8Za51te7qjvo1_1280.jpg
350KB, 686x960px
>>52070925
Grappling is pretty dangerous, in general. The primary counters are that it's a Close ranged attack with a bare hand to start one. Getting parried when doing that hurts a lot, and it can be hard to get that close to a character that is armed.

Once you hit, you are in the door and if the other person hasn't invested at least moderate resources in grappling you have an exceptional advantage. On the other hand, a target that does have grappling training can hold their own here.

Remember to Pin a standing target you've got to Grab, Take-down, then Pin.
>>
>>52070925
Your example was one of the more effective ways to take care of a guy in plate. It's why misericordes and rondel daggers exist.
>>
>>52070925
>A ST 12 Wrestling 16 guy could pin a guy without wrestling and at ST 12 DX 10 and *completely destroy* him
Replace "wrestling" with "Boxing", and "pin" with "punch", and you've got the same situation. Trained fighters kick the shit out of untrained ones, yes.
>>
>>52070925
Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
– George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence
>>
>>52073673
I thought Silver hated rapier and never bothered to study it. Did I just fall for tg memes?
>>
Crazy suggestion
Style perk: judo parry > disarm attempt

You parry a gunman with judo, knocking his hand out of the way. This moves into the grab on the gun automatically, and on your turn, you proceed with a disarm attempt with an unarmed skill(likely judo)

Crazy?
>>
>>52073999
Disarm useles, when you can arm lock (especially without TG).
And anyway even if you get his hands off the weapon, while having a grip on it, you still need Ready to ready a weapon, iirc.
>>
>>52074776
The arm lock is something you have to maintain, since limb damage isnt going to be able to knock him out on its own it wont finish the fight either. A gunman without a gun is almost a dead enemy on the other hand.
>>
>>52071638
That sounds awesome! Which side are the players on? Or are they stuck in the middle of it with their own stuff going on?
>>
>>52070925
It's worse than that. Being pinned makes you Helpless. Instant Death on B423 says don't bother to roll. You don't need to do 10 seconds of AoA Telegraphic attacks.

The best counter to pinning isn't grappling related at all. It's having a buddy. Someone who is grappling doesn't have all their parries, probably can't retreat, can't Acrobatic Dodge if using Martial Arts rules, and has a nice open back hex to sneak up on (preferably by someone with a vase or a trophy if you're going for that movie feel).

Once you get taken down your friends should circle up and start hacking away. If one of them can manage to cause stun the grapple ends. Either way the grappler is almost certainly sacrificing himself to take out his victim. Pinning in a melee is a very, very bad idea.
>>
Is classic gurps magic (magery) worth using as a player? The spells look decently useful to me and it seems much simpler than other gurps magic systems.
>>
>>52075425
It works well enough.
>>
>>52075023
No but it can easily cripple the arm. Dude loses the use of an arm and drops his gun.
>>
>>52075591
>>52075023
This brings a question to mind. I know lifting ST, effects your ST for the purposes of establishing/holding a grapple, but does it apply for grapple-based damage, like Judo Throw(damaging), or Wrench(limb)?
>>
>>52075591
You can also grapple the gun ahead of time if you want, so when they drop it, you still have ahold of it. Hell, combining DWA and Rapid Strike lets you do this in one turn if you're good enough!
>>
>>52075609
Per TG Lifting ST counts as ST for most raw strength uses, like using ST-based moves and establishing control.
>>
>>52075317
I'm 99% sure that pinned =/= helpless. Now if they're pinned, they're certainly in trouble, but it's not a no-roll execution.
>>
File: LMAO.jpg (63KB, 441x415px) Image search: [Google]
LMAO.jpg
63KB, 441x415px
>>52075701
>I'm 99% sure that pinned =/= helpless
>>
>>52075701
>Pin (B370)
You may only attempt a pin if your
foe is on the ground and you are grap-
pling his torso. Roll a Regular Contest
of Strength. The larger fighter gets +3
for every point by which his Size
Modifier exceeds that of his foe. The
fighter with the most free hands gets
+3. If you win, your foe is pinned and
helpless.

>Instant Death (B423)
Decapitation, a cut throat, etc. can
kill anyone, regardless of HT and HP.
If a helpless or unconscious person is
attacked in an obviously lethal way,
he’s dead. Don’t bother to roll for dam-
age, calculate remaining HP, etc. Just
assume that he drops to -5Â¥HP.

Seems that way to me.
>>
>>52075822
>>52075906
Huh. I thought it took more than that to make them helpless. Like, binding them where they can't move at all.
>>
>>52075653
Wait can you dual weapon attack with grapples and punches and stuff? I never really thought of that.
>>
>>52075939
Each arm CAN be used separately, but the rules assume you're making a single two-handed grapple, so you'll be taking penalties for going at a hit location with only one hand.
>>
>>52076004
Yeah i remember something about that. Interestingly dagger fighting has DWA Knife and DWA Wrestling in it, if i take both of those can i grab someone then stab them as a DWA rather than a rapid strike? Or can you never mix DWA types?
>>
>>52076067
Nah mixing DWA types is the norm. Both skills take the DWA penalty, so you need two different techniques to buy them off.
>>
>>52076067
Yes.
But he don't get Grab'n'Smash bonus without AOA.
>>
>>52076113
I want to include a grappling skill on my next character, but i am unsure whether to go with Sumo Wrestling, Wrestling or Judo. Wrestling's two handed parry seems weak but it seems solid other than that and Sumo Wrestling's bonuses to things like shoves and slams sounds pretty great. With Brawling + Sumo Wresting and an AOA (Strong) I could slam down any humanoid opponent, though it would mostly be worthwhile against those less armored than me.
>>52076151
Tell me more oh wise one.
>>
>>52076164
The common wisdom is Sumo is for armed fighters, Judo is for facing armed fighters/bring outnumbered, and Wrestling is best for one-on-one unarmed grapples.
>>
So I'm looking at Technical Grappling and I'm confused about some of the techniques that default to a skill, but cannot exceed said skill. How can the Styles include said techniques if you're not allowed to spend points into said techniques? Likewise, how could you roll against the higher of your technique or its default if it's capped at the default? Is it just a case of poor writing? Or is it implying that you can spend points into a technique to be more efficient when dealing with penalties due to CP
>>
File: gns.jpg (130KB, 509x744px) Image search: [Google]
gns.jpg
130KB, 509x744px
>>52076164
>i am unsure whether to go with Sumo Wrestling, Wrestling or Judo
Combine Judo and any (Sumo) Wrestling.
Judo for parry and throws mostly. (Sumo) Wrestling for resisting grapples (and gaining some space).
>>
>>52076337
Are you sure they don't default to that skill -4 or something?
>>
>>52076388
Nope. Force Posture Change (replaces Takedown) defaults to DX or best grappling skill, and cannot exceed such. The different Styles feature Force Posture Change (Specialty) in their bank of techniques.
>>
>>52076337
IIRC, most of those sorts of techniques also default to DX, ST, etc.
>>
how much HP does the head have in GURPS?
>>
>>52076515
Well B421 lists an "Extraneous Head" as being one third the character's HP to cripple.
>>
>>52076337
It needs to be included as a technique for things like Technique Mastery and Technique Adaptation like perks to use it for other skills. And it needs to be written not as maneuver. Possibly.
>>
>>52076487
They do. But why include a technique you can't spend points into on a list of techniques for a style? just so you know?

You only get a bonus for the technique if your effective (after applying all penalties for active control and spent CP) Trained ST is less than your skill, which is usually the case.

I'm only asking because I think it's odd to have a technique you can't spend points on in a context where you usually spend points on them (a Style)
>>
>>52076652
I always thought the head always had 1 HP and a natural 2 DR

That's how I've always played, for 2 years now.

Do you guys think this is a bad or okay thing?
>>
>>52076864
You insta kill everything with headshots for two years and don't mind that?
>>
>>52076864
I could throw a baseball at you and cave your skull with an average roll...
>>
>>52076727
AH!

Mystery solved then. I missed that some of the styles included that perk in their list.

Thanks anon!
>>
>>52076741
I'm away from my books at the moment, so I'm not sure, but I remember the attribute defaults being important for some reason. I'll check when I get home.
>>
>>52076918
>>52076955
It's not like that, certain attacks, like with small cutting weapons, couldn't kill you unless they hit your face and damage was really high, and you'd still have to take a total of 4 damage to die (due to the natural 2 DR on the skull)
>>
>>52076515
The head is a special snowflake. It has all the HP of the character. Think of it the same as the Torso.

As unrealistic is it might be that cutting the top of someone's head off is the same as cutting their torso in two they did it this way so you don't get even more unrealistic special ways to instant death.

Same reason the neck can't be severed causing instant death without doing so much damage they'd die anyway. Thus making decapitation a special effect.
>>
Do any of the books have help for generating intrigue and plots? Preferably one with layers. Like stuff going on in town A is linked to regional shit and stuff in other towns, which is linked to some lord or lady. Several levels of status involved, basically.

My player(s) have expressed an interest in that sort of thing. Premade is fine. Non GURPS is fine, I can convert it.

Sometimes I can do it on my own, but recently I've been stalling out and only able to get one or two 'layers' plotted out.
>>
>>52077858
Seconding that!

I didn't even know I wanted it.
>>
>>52077858
Fantasy offers a lot of help building a Fantasy campaign. Cliffhangers helps with cliffhangers. Horror helps with Horror. GURPS Adaptations looks interesting; I haven't read it but it looks like it tries to help with adapting stuff to an RPG in general. I don't think there's anything specifically for generating intrigue and plots in general, though. You could check GURPS Social Engineering, or draw inspiration from Banestorm or Fantasy's Roma Arcana.

To be honest, you shouldn't be planning enough of a plot or intrigue as the GM to last a few sessions. At most, you have a general outline that you gently push your players into, but have your players fill in the blanks.

For my campaign, my end goal is to have my players raise an army and defeat the big bad. I have my set up planned out, but it's loose enough that it'll happen no matter what.
>>
>>52075425
I acutely like basic Magic pretty well. The ST can control how powerful it is very easily by limiting Magery and what spells are available.
>>
File: 40709182_p0.jpg (356KB, 724x800px) Image search: [Google]
40709182_p0.jpg
356KB, 724x800px
With that, the first session of Interregnum, which was advertised here a few threads ago, has concluded.
Everyone seems satisfied; I certainly look forward to next week.

>the party is informed that some documents that could lead to finding an heir to the empire's vacant throne might have been found in a derelict mansion a loyalist has recently bought
>we spend the travel time with theological discussion on our way to the village near which the manor is located
>our quasi-leader, a foreign merchant, fails his Merchant skill check and almost buys the village's entire harvest after talking to a village qt
>learn that a shady figure has been lurking around the area lately, asking about the manor as well
>we sneak into the dilapidated building but find it empty
>before we head upstairs, my monk closes all the doors leading to the stairs, and places cutlery from the nearby dining room on top of each one's handle
>crit fails his hearing check and get startled by a fly buzzing by his ear
>the party explores the upper floor and finds what they were looking for, a stash of old documents under a hidden trapdoor, some bearing the signature of a member of the supposedly-extinct royal family
>suddenly the sound of cutlery hitting the ground rings out from below
>the party prepares to defend itself and we waste our surprise round trying to resolve the situation peacefully, muh Pacifism (Self-Defense)
>alas, our enemies are out to destroy the documents we found, and thus begins our first cliff-hanger!
>>
>>52080821
Gotta love cliffhangers
It also allows the GM to start next session by yelling ROLL INITIATIVE!
>>
>>52077941

Yeah, I feel like "How to build a world and plot" is a pretty important part of the GMing process.

>>52078282
>To be honest, you shouldn't be planning enough of a plot or intrigue as the GM to last a few sessions. At most, you have a general outline that you gently push your players into, but have your players fill in the blanks.

See, I want...the gears in the background, plots for them to trip over. How to build a criminal underworld.

Like they stumble upon drug trade in a port town, which you help bring the captain who does it to justice in return for the guard confirming your papers so you can gtfo...but if they poke around, or make their per checks, they find out a thread that goes out of town. Links to the nobility, a slave trade, whatever.

I want to fractal my side plots basically.
>>
I've been learning the system and trying to get folks in my LGS into it as well, and plan on hopefully running a game. Do you guys have any setting/campaign suggestions for a first time GM?
>>
>>52082068
You can do that. Just keep it loose, or else your railroading will be obvious. Railroading ain't bad unless it's obvious.

The only tip I can give you is read books about crime, watch movies about crime, maybe a documentary of the crime underworld (one has to exist!)
>>
>>52082142
Dungeon Fantasy is a good series and offers a lot of ideas for using a multitude of skills in a hack and slash style game. And if you're clever, you can make it have a bit more depth over time.
>>
>>52082307
Just watch old 80s gangster movies
>>
>>52082142
>Reign of Steel.

The best setting written for GURPS, period. In fact, one of the best game settings EVER made for any tabletop.
Alternatively
>Alpha Centauri
But that's only good if they are familiar with the video game.

If you want make GURPS shine, never try to put it in a direct competition with fantasy games. Dungeon Fantasy is easy to run, but it has all the issues that usually the D&D crowd hurls back at GURPS: being bland, extremely generic (well, the game has Generic in title, but go figure) and there is barely any noticable difference between it and D&D at first glance (I repeat, FIRST GLANCE).
So it's always better to use something where GURPS really shine.
And Reign of Steel is such setting.

And thinking about it:
>Infinite Worlds
You can literally ruse your players, making them sure it's just a generic fantasy setting, only to later drop the bridge and make it just one of Merlin parallels, thus combining fluff and crunch into the whole picture of "you can run ANYTHING on this system without any issues"
>>
>>52082653
That too!
>>
>>52082664
>Infinite Worlds

I think Infinite Worlds is in the running for the short list of best written RPG material ever, right up there with Delta Green for Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>52082307
>You can do that. Just keep it loose, or else your railroading will be obvious. Railroading ain't bad unless it's obvious.

Nah man. I wanna have a sketch of the BG for sandboxing.

It's like...I don't want to nail anything down, I want to sketch out what's going on and fill in the blanks when it goes down. The same way I have the trade routes sketched out, and if the players decide to follow a caravan THEN I fill it in.
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96KB, 519x370px) Image search: [Google]
1447806835818.png
96KB, 519x370px
>>52083243
Well, okay, so whats stopping you?

Youve just described the method you wish to follow, and you know your own campaign intimately enough to fill in the blanks

What
is
stopping
you
>>
>>52083260
>Well, okay, so whats stopping you?

Well, let's see, what did I say? Oh yeah.
>>52077858
>Sometimes I can do it on my own, but recently I've been stalling out and only able to get one or two 'layers' plotted out.

I don't know my campaign intimately because I don't know this part of it. You know, kind of how you don't know your boyfriend's asshole as well as he knows yours.

>I want help fleshing out the seedy underside of my campaign, preferably with linking up and down the status levels.
>Gives an example of what's wanted

>>Well, okay, so what's stopping you? You just gave a method.

It was an example of what I wanted, faggot, not the how to manual or tips I wanted.
>>
>>52082664
>Reign of Steel
>not Madness Dosier
baka desu senpai
>>
File: 1454088057423.jpg (401KB, 1242x820px) Image search: [Google]
1454088057423.jpg
401KB, 1242x820px
>>52083466
Time to start TYPING SHIT OUT dawg. We can help fill in the bits if you GIVE US THE SHIT IN YOUR HEAD IN TEXT ON 4CHAN. We aint mind readers
>>
File: IMG_2894.jpg (43KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2894.jpg
43KB, 500x281px
>>52080821
I'm looking forward to it as well. I was really hoping we might be able to work out a deal with them instead of fighting but I guess some people just have an insatiable urge to burn important documents and attack women and monks.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Slabmeat McHugeguy will get distracted by the fly and trip onto one of the others and crush them to death.
>>
File: negro amigo.jpg (168KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
negro amigo.jpg
168KB, 1033x679px
>>52082664
>>Reign of Steel.
>>
>>52082664
>>Reign of Steel.
Tell me more
>>
File: IMG_20170308_235931.jpg (75KB, 720x334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_235931.jpg
75KB, 720x334px
How can I fit pic related into Ritual Path Magic?

At first I thought I could use the roll modifier for a Defense Bonus, but they aren't really dodging or parrying, and they can't use blocking because it's not a held shield.

Then I figured I could use a DR bonus, but using the altered traits modifier it would cost way too much energy.

And another thing that came up is the barrier isn't a single casting, it's a maintained spell.

Please help, I'm at a roadblock here and the cops spiked my tires.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.