[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 37

File: oie_w6tHjEDhwNAI.jpg (2MB, 1200x1687px) Image search: [Google]
oie_w6tHjEDhwNAI.jpg
2MB, 1200x1687px
Previous thread:
>>52012046

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Is there a better game than Concordia?
>>
File: rising sun.jpg (230KB, 1678x1320px) Image search: [Google]
rising sun.jpg
230KB, 1678x1320px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rising-sun/
>>
File: 5654626.jpg (429KB, 984x1766px) Image search: [Google]
5654626.jpg
429KB, 984x1766px
>>52074795
>check it out on BGG
>unexpectedly low rating
>check ratings breakdown

Butthurt libcucks?
>>
>>52074841
You should have seen the outrage when Trains: Rising Sun was released three years ago.

there wasn't any
>>
>>52074795

So, people keep saying this game is reskinned bloodrage, but I'm not seeing it. Bloodrage looked like shit to me, this looks pretty fun.

What am I missing here? Didn't blood rage make heavy use of drafting, which isn't used at all in RS?
>>
>>52075630
I know pretty much nothing about Bloodrage. Would you mind giving me a tl;dr about it? All I know is that it has Viking minis and there's fighting.
Why don't you like it?
>>
>>52075796

Well, whenever I heard it being talked about, and seeing the minis, it looked sort of like chaos in the old world. When I found out how it actually played, which was card drafting, and doing random things for points, I was completely turned off. Felt like a bait and switch that a lot of people didn't have a problem with in the end. Euro game disguising itself as an ameritrash game sort of.
>>
File: dice.jpg (561KB, 1320x909px) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
561KB, 1320x909px
I got a question for you all. When is it okay to use dice for combat? That includes rolling to see if you hit and rolling to see how much damage is dealt and whatever other ways there are to use dice for combat. Or is it never okay?
>>
>>52076228
Lots of dice is better than one or two to make things more predictable
Some sort of gained mitigation should also be there, and preferably not always on mitigation to force a decision points.
>>
>>52076424
>>52076228
The game I'm currently working on resolves combat using 4 different kinds of d6. From worst to best they are: yellow, orange, red, purple
Yellow's sides are 0 0 1 1 2 2
Orange's sides are 0 1 1 2 2 3
Red's sides are 0 1 2 2 3 3
Purple's sides are 1 2 2 3 3 4

For example, using a machine gun gets you a lot of projectiles out there, but isn't as precise and doesn't really do a lot of damage in my setting, so you roll a bunch yellow dice, though upgrades let you add more/better ones later on.
A laser weapon let's you roll purple and red dice because it deals a lot of damage and is very precise, but it's pretty short range and every area beyond it's effective range takes one die away.
Do you think that system is reasonable? I'm sure there are some games out there that use dice for combat like that, but I've never tried one so it's a bit or trial and error for me.
>>
>>52076228

It's always okay anon, sales data backs this up. The only people who disagree are the ones who shit their pants over it are euro players who hate ameritrash games, and the only solution for them is to turn the game into a euro.

Use dice wherever you see fit. It makes things random and unpredictable. A lot of people like that. Who cares if some don't?
>>
File: 4562346.jpg (513KB, 945x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4562346.jpg
513KB, 945x1024px
>no combat

Is Terra Mystica: Gaia Project DOA?
>>
>>52076762
actually sounds pretty cool desu
>>
>>52077735
that looks pretty elegant if kinda mindgamey
could see it pissing off people who dont like bluffing tho
>>
>>52078599
Did you miss the "Terra Mystica" in the games title?
>>
>>52076424
>Lots of dice is better than one or two to make things more predictable
Bullshit. Throwing truckloads of dice isn't fun unless you're dungeon-crawling/TTRPG'ing. Introducing dice directly in the decision-making process (your dice decides how many cases you can move) is also a very bad idea.
However, having a single die in a game prevents it from becoming predictable and solved.
>>
>>52078964
Bullshit.
It depends on the implementation.
One die isn't inherently more or less fair than a bunch.
>>
>>52078964
Rolling multiple dice to generate a random number makes the average result more common, thereby making the making it more predictable.
>>
File: 1488714254204.png (395KB, 719x771px) Image search: [Google]
1488714254204.png
395KB, 719x771px
>>52074841
Do they seriously fucking think the only time the Japanese ever used that flag was for nazi memes? Are they seriously fucking telling CMON who couldnt even be bothered to do any fucking research into Japans history or mythology to change the one thing they at least got right? What the fuck??

Also why the hell does bgg even allow fucking ratings before a game is released. You just get chuckle fucks rating it down because """"uuuh its overhyped and I dont like that :((((""""" yeah well neither do I fucker but I'm not gonna cry about it on a fucking boardgame rating and collection manager site
>>
>>52076762
Conan uses a mechanic like that. Works pretty well.
>>
>>52074841
>south Korea
>libshit wall of text
I'm not surprised
>>
>>52076228
What are the alternatives to dice for combat? Especially when it comes to player vs monster/npc?
I don't have many games that involve battle and most of them either involve dice or a direct comparison of power/level/number of units.
>>
>>52080632
Well one option is exactly what you mentioned. Fixed values.
Another option would be different cards with values on them which you play face-down.
>>
>>52080632
player vs monster could use fixed values but incorporate modifiers based on things like positioning and weakness/vulnerability to damage types
>>
>>52080632
BattleCON uses 2 sets of different cards which you can combine together, and have a Priority number on them. The player with a higher Priority does their attacks first, with the following player in danger of getting stunned i.e. not being able to attack.

Fury of Dracula has both sides reveal cards simultaneously, then compare the icons on them. If the icon on Dracula's card is on the Hunter card, which usually has multiple icons, then the Dracula's card gets cancelled. Middle Earth Quest does something similar with simultaneous reveal, except your deck is also your HP, so your options can dwindle.

The Arkham Horror LCG uses a Chaos Bag, which is basically infinitely more customizable dice. The bag has tokens in them, and you can swap tokens around to increase or decrease difficulty, or change the meaning of certain special tokens.

The not-Armored-Core board game has you call out hits, then assign energy to certain weapons to deal damage. It also has an overheat value so you can't just spam attacks.

Just throwing stuff out there, not all of it is probably applicable to what you asked for.
>>
>>52080632
Gloomhaven uses flat damage with a deck of fudge cards (+1, +0, -1) that can be upgraded as the character levels up.
>>
>>52075796
blood rage combined a super easy and uninspired draft mechanic with plastic pushing. casuals can't get enough of it

i say the drafting is easy and uninspired because there aren't combos, there isn't hate drafting, there is nothing to think about other than "does this card do something i wanna do more than the other cards available to me right now?"
>>
>>52073818
I'd love to try concordia but it's really impractical to acquire it where I live.

I've always wondered if people post complete components lists and things for you to print and play the game. Basically piracy for board games.
Is this a thing? am I getting banned?
>>
>>52082092
to my understanding nothing about board games is protectable IP other than the name and art, so you could share the entire ruleset and component list and there's nothing they can do about it unless you are making money on it while simultaneously using the original name and/or art
>>
>>52082146
makes sense. But I assume this isn't a very common thing then? at least not around here?
>>
>>52082092
You could buy tabletop simulator for $20 on steam, it has a bunch of free stuff. There are even some official boardgame dlcs like zombiecide and scythe.
>>
>>52082379
around here as in what? most generals on 4chan have pirated shit in its op...but ya i haven't seen many posts about "here's the info to make a pnp of a game" but that's probably because all the shit you would need is easy to find. lots of publishers put full rulebooks right on their websites for free and some of those contain full component lists...

i don't really get what you're asking, so ill just say this: it's probably not illegal to do, and even if there aren't dedicated places where it's done it's easy to find the information to make games into pnp versions if you so desire. if you are unable to find the info either on the publisher's site or somewhere on board game geek you can probably ask here and someone might be nice enough to make a list for you
>>
>>52074841
Fuck, now I want to back this game.
Still won't, fuck exclusives and Lang is overrated,
>>
How does bgg rank it's games?

I've only played the pandemic base game, but it seems like too much for pandemic legacy to take top spot for adding in a story/campaign system.
>>
>>52076762
Not enough exploding dice.
>>
>>52080632
Scythe and Dune/Rex give you a power dial. You spend points on combat, but the number is hidden until "showdown," and can be modified by cards; I don't know about Dune/Rex but in Scythe the cards range from 2-5, 4 being far rarer than 2, with the power dial going up to 7, so hoarding power and hoarding cards are both valid strategies.
>>
>>52082865
to put it simply it takes into account the overall numeric rating the game gets from people and the number of ratings it gets

lots of people like pandemic so lots of people buy the legacy version so lots of people rate the legacy version and lots of them rate it higher because it adds something to a thing they already like

it makes sense but it has nothing to do with the merit of the game
>>
>>52083123
If you take an unweighted average I think KD:M is #1.
>>
>>52083142
ya but that system isn't great either.
really there is no way to rate games from best to worst in a way that makes sense unless you break it down into really small categories, like "pirate games rated by thematic quality that have a moderate to high level of complexity"
if you don't get specific enough so much of it is just "i like long games so merchants and marauders is better than libertalia" or other stuff like that
but taking bgg seriously is like taking netflix star ratings seriously
>>
>>52080837
>>52081807
>>52081839
>>52082050
>>52083110

Thanks for the answers. I've recently gained (or rather regained) interest in developing my own game and knowing different ways of handling battles is useful.

One idea I had that requires a GM with dexterous hands is a battle system based on the success checks in Hand of Fate.
The main problems I ran into with that one is that battles can take several minutes for stronger enemies and the GM growing tired of having to reveal the cards, turn them face down, push them together and spread them out again for every turn of the battle.
>>
>>52083142
Not anymore, Gloomhaven has passed it
>>
>>52083374
Only if you're a retarded stickerbook collector though.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-03-08-21-34-30.png (106KB, 1270x388px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-03-08-21-34-30.png
106KB, 1270x388px
>>52083418
KDMfag BTFO
>>
>>52083489
zzz
>>
>>52080632
There's a vidya game called The Banner Saga that I thought had a really neat combat system with no randomness outside of special unit abilities.

Everyone has two stats, strength and armour. Strength is both your damage to other units AND your health. Armour reduces damage to your strength.

Everyone can attack a unit's strength OR armour, ie- reduce their protection from future attacks OR reduce their damage to other units.

(stay away from the cash in board game made by the jesus fags behind Myth, it's shit just like all their other games)
>>
>>52083616

>Jesus fags

Do tell. First I've ever heard of that.
>>
File: its-a-fake.jpg (38KB, 479x233px) Image search: [Google]
its-a-fake.jpg
38KB, 479x233px
>>52083913
>Talisman
>Not Talismayne
>>
>>52084309
it's just someone who misses their reddit flair
>>
File: i wanna die.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
i wanna die.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
So I just heard the news that Star Wars: Destiny dice game expansions are going to be single print runs.

Asmodee is getting fucking ridiculous.

The end is coming
>>
>>52084361
>CCG
What did you expect, NOT cancer?
>>
Is pandemic legacy seriously that good ?
>>
>>52084361
is this your first time buying in to a CCG? sure sounds like that sweet sound of regret
>>
>>52084485
if you love pandemic it's a more interesting version but has very little variance from group to group for a legacy game. if you're not crazy about pandemic just wait for a legacy game more your speed to come. being the mainstream-ish legacy game is why it is rated so high, that and people already love pandemic
>>
>>52084361
i will never understand why people play that game. the only appealing thing about it is it's star wars but there are so many good star wars games that that's barely an excuse
>>
>>52083913
They are hardcore christians, not really much to tell.
>>
>>52084544
Have you played it? It's actually a really well designed system with some very modern and unique ideas - small decks, multiple rounds, a first player token you can fight over, lots of pushing your luck and deciding when rolling unrolled dice would put them in harm's way, etc.

But yeah, it was basically DOA just for being a CCG released after 2000 instead of admitting that it needed to be a LCG. Then FFG did just about everything else they could do to fuck it up, too.
>>
>>52084653
Agreed, the core game does some cool stuff. Shame about everything else.
>>
>>52084623
So what does that have to do with the games they make?
>>
>>52084653
>modern and unique
>rolling dice
>multiple decks
>first player token
>pushing luck
Don't worry, after you get a little more exposure into the hobby you'll understand why this is not a well-designed game. Until then have fun! Playing poorly designed games is part of the learning experience as you will have a point of reference for quality games in the future. Great to see new people getting in to board gaming, can't wait to see you offer some quality insight once you get more experience, newfriend!
>>
>>52084401
>>52084489
I was hoping to wait it out for a while and then buy up cheep second-hand stuff. But with there not being additional print runs, that's going to keep the second-hand price higher for longer.
>>
What are some good games to play with a girl that you like? Asking for a friend :^)
>>
>>52084967
Strip poker, naked twister, and hide the cucumber come to mind
>>
>>52084967
Kamasutra :^)
>>
>>52085707
Man, I just want to see the rest of the art for that.
>>
>>52084485
>Is pandemic legacy seriously that good ?
No. It's niche enough that the only people who play it are the ones that already like it, that's why the ratings are so high. (People who don't like Pandemic don't play Pandemic Legacy in the first place and thus don't rate it at all.)
>>
>>52084967
Pocket snake is great.
>>
>>52082064
>there aren't combos

wut? Blood Rage is overrated sure. But its all about short drafts of super-powered-combos and who gets the luck of the starting combo pairs and whether or not the person passing them cards is aware and interested enough to break them.
>>
>>52083418

The butthurt is strong in this one.

I backed KDM the second time. I hope its great. I backed Sword and Sorcery and Folklore and 7th Continent too. I hope theyre all great. I backed Gloomhaven it already is great.

Why do poorfags always have to buy one game and then hate on all the other similar ones? More than one game can be good faggot.
>>
>>52084485

Pandemic Legacy and now Gloomhaven are the first games that have continuing stories that urge you to keep playing to see what happens next.

When you play this new game 20 times instead of the 4-5 times you played the last new game, its hard to say the high ratings arent deserved because the FUN factor is clearly there.
>>
>>52084485
Nope, pure shit. BGG cucks love them some hot garbage.
>>
>>52086102
>When you play this new game 20 times instead of the 4-5 times you played the last new game
Pick one good game and play it, faggot, instead of collecting cardboard. Some people play only chess all their life, and they're having way more ""fun"" than you are.
>>
>>52086335

no theyre not.

Look, I watch a lot of TV shows, I watch some movies, I read some book and comics, I play some video games, I play a lot of board games. I already have "too many hobbies" rather than focus on one thing.

And I do like to collect things and I do like to focus on a game for a bit and I do like to play lots of different games.

But rather than pick ONE game and "i like this game and its the only one I play so its a 10 and your game is shit" I will play a lot of games and if some game is soooo good that it makes me keep going back to it over and over - THATS HOW I KNOW ITS A GREAT GAME.

Gloomhaven has gotten 15 plays in a month while other games have sat on my shelf. That means its better than the other ones I've played that did not call to me the same way.
>>
>>52086400
this post reads like it was written by a 10 year old with ADHD

no wonder you need some built-in mechanic to force you to focus on something for more than one play

also not surprising you don't understand why someone could have fun playing chess for ten years
>>
>>52085707
(^:
>>
File: _1.png (12KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
_1.png
12KB, 160x160px
>>52086400
>He doesn't play a small collective of games to just get really good at them and explore everything they can do

If you want anything else out of this genre why not just play vidya. Don't really understand people who buy a shitload of competetive-style boardgames and never play them enough (if they enjoy them) to see everything
>>
>>52086423

professional players of any game are not having fun. theyre doing a job. competitive players are not having fun if theyre losing.

i just do what i like to do and make sure i have fun.

the fact that you thing its ADHD just because I have more than one hobby is hysterical.

I think youre just too poor to afford more than one game.
>>
>>52086491

well my collection over time HAS shifted from competitive games to co-ops and more thematic stuff. Even my competitive games have luck or enough random events that they are not just won by "best player" . I don't play pure strategy abstracts or "sit to the left of the worst player" games like Puerto Rico.

I'm not sure how my tastes lead to "playing vidya" especially since co-op board games replaced the total lack of couch co-op or couch multiplayer that video games abandoned.
>>
>>52086498
>Competitive players are not having fun if they're losing
>He hasnt played go
:^)
>>
>>52086491
>>52086491
>He doesn't play a small collective of games to just get really good at them and explore everything they can do
You could say the same thing about video games.
Why not just spend thousands of hours getting good at Dota instead of playing a wide variety of games? You don't really need to exhaust everything a game has to offer, I think it's fine to just drink your fill and move onto something else. I play Dota on and off, I just played
>>
>>52086549
You're implying I play competitive style videogames anon which I don't really at all

>>52086527
I guess it makes sense if you like co-ops more, I don't really like co-ops outside of ones with traitors and SH death angel so from here it's just gonna be arguing over opinion, so I'll concede
>>
>>52086498
>professional players are not having fun if
>competitive players are not having fun if
*citations needed
The grammatical inconsistencies in your hastily formatted posts support my claim of ADHD.
>I think you're just too poor
Why would you think that when you have literally no idea how many games I own? The fact that you jump to conclusions this impulsively again supports my claim of ADHD. I'm not surprised you play this co-op game so often, I'm sure it's hell on earth for your friends to try to keep you focused during a competitive game when you're not involved during every single second of decision making.
>>
>>52086580
>Constantly tried to belittle the other anon
>Won't refute any arguments the other side puts up

Hi anon, how do you feel about cosmic encounter? ;^) I think it's a very unique game and should be in the top 10 on bgg
>>
>>52086580

>attacking grammar
first sign of a losing internet argument

I'm claiming you're poor the same way you're claiming I have ADHD. Based on your "logic" of focusing on "one thing" at a time and calling people who enjoy "multiple things" as ADHD sufferers.

Also, Gloomhaven prevents alpha-players so your last comment just shows you don't even know what you're talking about
>>
File: r49830298234.jpg (46KB, 470x626px) Image search: [Google]
r49830298234.jpg
46KB, 470x626px
>>52086621
what the hell are you on about with cosmic encounter all the sudden?
>>
>>52086630
How does gloomhaven prevent alpha gaming? Interest to hear how it goes about it (although I have literally no idea how this game works anyway)
>>
>>52086630
>gloomhaven prevents alpha-players
holy shit i should have known, you're that guy who doesn't even own gloomhaven but keeps shitposting about it to be a dick...sorry for responding, i won't make that mistake again
>>
>>52086649
I thought you were the anon that screams at anyone that mentions it sorry anon :3c
>>
>>52076762
Make yellow 000111.
>>
>>52086666
so you wanted to turn another thread into a shitfest? why?
>>
>>52086068
>shilling
>>
File: 2016-11-30-10-49-31.jpg (106KB, 703x516px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-30-10-49-31.jpg
106KB, 703x516px
>>52086682
If its at the expense of chasing that dumb autist away from this general forever I'll do anything
>>
>>52086710
if you think you can chase an autist away by being obnoxious you have a bad thing coming
>>
>>52086650
it doesn't. that's just the claim everyone who shills for a co op game makes
>>
>>52074795

Kickstarter game with loads of minis? Cool, it'll be on clearance within six months of its release.
>>
>>52086780
for what game has that been true?
>>
>>52086791

Almost all of them. You need to get better at sniffing out the deals anon.
>>
>>52086807
so what you're really saying is you can't name a single one. got it, duly ignored
>>
Opinions on Great Western Trail? I find it quite interesting, but i'm afraid it is too similar to Marco Polo. Does anyone of you own it?
>>
>>52086838

No, I actually meant most of them. You'll see loads of trash KS games and expansions on clearance at online retailers if you have the patiance to wait.

But hey, you want to get it sooner and with more 'exclusive' plastic shit than you'll even know what to do with, that's your business.
>>
>>52083418
He wasn't saying Gloomhaven is better, he;s saying that it achieved a better raw average score on BGG.
>>
>>52086630
>prevents alpha-players
Nothing wrong with alpha-players, that's like the whole point of co-op gaming in the first place.
>>
>>52084855
>>rolling dice
>>first player token
What's wrong with these.
>>
>>52087044
he claimed they were modern and unique. did you comprehend a fucking word you read?
>>
>>52086864
I've never bought a ks game before or after the fact. I'm legitimately asking and you for some reason insist on not giving me a specific answer
>>
>>52087061
>you'll understand why this is not a well-designed game
> Playing poorly designed games is part of the learning experience
I inferred from the post that you don't like these qualities in a game, if you meant not to imply that then it is you who doesn't comprehend.
>>
>>52086650

Gloomhaven starts by giving each player a personal quest with a goal to acheive, that could be exploring certain types of scenarios, killing certin enemies or gathering a small fortune. Then on top of that it give you "battle goals" for each scenario that could be dealing a certain amount of finishing blows, or not using your items or using your items a lot, or making sure nobody gets exhausted, or getting the first kill, or making sure there are always monsters on the board.

When you play you start with all your cards and choose 2 cards, you use one of those two cards to select your initiative, so if your timing matters it will limit which cards you can choose. After everyone chooses their cards "Secretly" you also flip the AI cards for the baddies that have initiative and movement/attack modifiers or special moves. Then at your initiative you use one of the two cards for its top action and one of the two cards for a bottom action. You can always use any top for an Attack2 and any bottomg for a Move2 so you have the ability to adjust to things that have happened or will happen.

Becuase you NEVER know what the monsters will do this round before you play your cards - you will never be 100% sure you are acting before or after them. You will never know for sure if they will range attack or melee attack or sit and defend/heal. So its a total waste of fucking time for an alpha gamer to try to optimize his own hand and the hands of all the other players.

Especially since he might have a battle goal of "getting most of the treasure" or possibly "getting x kills" so his motives might not be for party success towards the scenario completion goal.
>>
File: r348225097.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
r348225097.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>52087104
>you infer some shit
>must be someone else's fault
>>
File: 1480244713050.jpg (32KB, 428x467px) Image search: [Google]
1480244713050.jpg
32KB, 428x467px
>>52086908
>>
>>52086662

please dont ever respond again. suicide seems like a better option.
>>
>>52087220
>modern and unique
>playing cards
>multiple decks
>initiative order
>adjusting to things

Don't worry, after you get a little more exposure into the hobby you'll understand why this is not a well-designed game. Until then have fun! Playing poorly designed games is part of the learning experience as you will have a point of reference for quality games in the future. Great to see new people getting in to board gaming, can't wait to see you offer some quality insight once you get more experience, newfriend!
>>
File: 4257646.jpg (236KB, 680x1043px) Image search: [Google]
4257646.jpg
236KB, 680x1043px
Which one to back fellas? Village Attacks or Rising Sun? Can't afford both, especially if they offer addons later on since I'm a completionist.
>>
>>52087920
If you really have to back either for some reason then Rising Sun
But the real answer would just to be buy a fucking game that you wont have to wait over a year for and might be shit
>>
>>52087920
A better game without action figures.
>>
>>52087920
flip a coin, those are basically the odds of either of them being playable anyway
>>
>>52087920
Jaipur
>>
File: 36578.jpg (88KB, 625x434px) Image search: [Google]
36578.jpg
88KB, 625x434px
>>52087937
>muh mini hate train

Gettin old
>>
>>52087984
this is /bgg/, /awg/ is elsewhere
>>
>>52088002
This. Action figures are fine, I like them too.

What makes me salty is the way people label unrelated shit (action figures, choose-your-own-adventure books, RPG campaigns, party games) as "boardgames" just because boardgaming is a popular and upscale hobby at this historical moment.
>>
>>52087920
Flip a coin, then spend it on a better game.
>>
>>52088053
>star wars destiny is a board game
>mtg is a board game
>age of sigmar is a board game
what a time to be alive
>>
>>52087920
i know nothing about the game but village attacks looks boring as fuck from that picture
>>
>>52088002
>>52088053
So games using plastic minis aren't board games? But the moment you switch those minis for wooden meeples they are, right? So it's not about the gameplay and mechanics, just presentation?
>>
>>52088103
the second guy you replied to is right though. the things he listed aren't board games
>>
>>52088103
When you're paying $100 for a mediocre ""boardgame"" just to get nice paintable minis then you're not buying boardgames anymore.

In a better world Kickstarter would just sell the minis and not label it as a ""boardgame"" to generate hype and lend it an air of respectability.
>>
>>52088143
>mediocre
By which standard?
>>
File: glorantha the gods war.jpg (447KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
glorantha the gods war.jpg
447KB, 1024x576px
When will pic related hit retail?
>>
>>52084485
Yes, it's the best gaming experience currently published.
>>
>>52087222
>>52087937
>>52086335
Fucking leave if you aren't enjoying yourself here you turdbucket. You're a unique special snowflake, we get it, go make your own general about being autistic.
>>
Chess is extremely gay btw
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 266x190px
I just got pic related for a fraction of the price, what am I in for?

I know its best as a single player, but how does it work with 2~4 players?
>>
>>52088970
I'm pretty sure this is the 'boardgame general', not the 'actionfigures for manchildren general'. You're the one shitting up the wrong general.
>>
>>52076228
The more times you have to roll for the same combat (hit+dodge+damage+defense), the more annoying it is
>>
>>52089283
>my games are for mature adults such as myself, your games are for manchildren

Alright man whatever floats your boat. And don't tip it too hard, it's bad for the rim.
>>
>>52084873
Just wait until the game fails and buy someone's collection for pennies on the dollar
>>
>>52089352
Nothing wrong with actionfigures, the only wrong thing is when an innocent general is overrun with offtopic discussion.
>>
>>
File: rising sun fox clan.jpg (176KB, 697x567px) Image search: [Google]
rising sun fox clan.jpg
176KB, 697x567px
>Yes, once the Fox Clan is completely unlocked, backers will be able to play Rising Sun with up to 6 players at the same time.

NEW CLAN! NEW MINIS! NEW ABILITIES! SIX PLAYERS!

>>
File: 536785.jpg (184KB, 1024x903px) Image search: [Google]
536785.jpg
184KB, 1024x903px
>>52089542
Some painted minis.
>>
>>52089268

Honestly not played 2-4 player so I can't help there anon. But what you're in for is an incredibly divisive game that people will either love or hate but is very well designed regardless. Definitely a brain-burner but it's actually not too fiddly. I'd suggest looking up RickyRoyal on YouTube and watching his playthroughs, probably the easiest way to learn before tearing through the rules yourself.
>>
>>52089542
This game is gonna be awkward to play at odd numbers of players.

>2/4 guys form an alliance with each other
>the one guy gets left out and left behind

Unless there's some kind of mechanic that lets you gain more resources/gives you benefit for being a lone wolf...?
>>
Anyone know where I can get a nice go board in the uk desu
>>
>>52088423
Don't kid yourself, you wouldn't be creaming your pants rushing to spend $150 if this game came with green wooden cubes instead of minis. The game itself is only a pretext to spend money on toys.
>>
>>52084855

Congratulations. You're the biggest asshole on the thread.
>>
>>52090586
'Asshole' is what idiots call smart people when idiots run out of arguments.

P.S. I'm not the autist you're replying to.
>>
>>52087984
That's the problem with Chess. To many 'exclusive' minis.

<dives behind couch to avoid incoming fire>
>>
>>52090586
>congratulations
>(You)
>multiple keks
>biggest asshole

Don't worry, after you get a little more exposure into the hobby you'll understand why this is not a well-designed shitpost. Until then have fun! Posting poorly designed memes is part of the learning experience as you will have a point of reference for quality memes in the future. Great to see new people getting in to shitposting, can't wait to see you offer some quality insight once you get more experience, newfriend!
>>
>>52090805
You're kind of right, lots of people have an annoying habit of buying expensive chess sets and never playing them.
>>
>>52090543
Presentation and component quality is obviously part of the board gaming experience, otherwise no one would, as you say, pay so much for wooden cubes. But if the alternatives are good game for $75 with cubes or $150 for a good game with great toys obviously a lot of people will prefer the latter. It's still a board game but now it costs a bit more and has nicer components.

I think Kickstarter scamming is an entirely different thing. Like preordering in video games it has just become a way for publishers to transfer risk to the consumers.
>>
>>52090543
Anachrony is going to be a interesting test case for this. I'm curious how well the exosuit sales will track with the base game.
>>
>>52082570

Well, you're right! a lot of the stuff was easy to find. This didn't even occur to me, I was being paranoid about it. Thanks!

I will go ahead and ask though, like you suggested, for a few of the items I haven't found so far:

the concordia card and the praefectus magnus card.
the player aids.
the backs of the bonus markers.
the storehouses in all the different colors would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance if anyone has them!
>>
>>52091172
(sorry, I'm talking about Concordia. trying to make a PnP.)
>>
>>52089524
I lol'd. Obviously Anon meant to write "Talisman" / Munchkin / Santorini / Your least favorite KS / Cosmic Encounter. But that would be hard to fit into that one text bubble.
>>
>>52090822
Those are called 'decorations' in that case Anon, just like all the expensive high-brow coffee table books they bought but have never read. (It's better to imply that I'm intelligent than work at actually being intelligent.)
>>
>>52084485
It's as shit as Pandemic
And you have to play it 12 times
So it's 12 times shit
>>
>>52092436
Pandemic isn't shit.
>>
File: pic726700.jpg (436KB, 447x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic726700.jpg
436KB, 447x600px
>>52086400
I have this with Ares Project. It just keeps happening. I shouldn't love it. The dice make combat kinda sucky and the art is atrocious. But jesus fuck it's just so deep and strategic. Picking your starting units makes it so great and solves basically every problem with deck-based systems ever. And since every faction plays completely differently, to the point of breaking the rules, it's always fun to just change up how you play. Once you get past the components, I really can't see how this game undersold.
>>
>>52086710
If you're a douche, you'll ATTRACT dumb autists and make reasonable folks not want to post or come here. I usually peek in once a week to see if the faggotry in /bgg/ has finally calmed down and every time, the answer is nope. I just want to discuss fucking board games.
>>
>>52092557

You're not alone man. I think I mostly come here now to watch the absurd condescension and elitism from said autisits about moving tokens and chits on a play board. It is fascinating in its own sad way, but it makes any attempt at actual board game discussion less and less appealing.
>>
>>52089524
I laughed much more than it was normal, thanks.
>>
>>52092636
I wish we could just share experiences, positive negative or whatever, in this thread without some turboshitter chiming in on every reply to bait and deride someone for ...having an experience. I guess that's the most ridiculous part. Opinions in this thread are based on real experiences that actual thinking human beings had and being shit about that just reeks of bad personality.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just sit and wait for someone to reply to >>52092512
whether good or bad.
>>
>>52090850
>good game for $75 with cubes or $150 for a good game with great toys

No. There is no "good" game there. Amerigarbage plastic pushers are shit, through and through.
>>
Anyone who has played Terraforming Mars, how is it? I've seen reviews and a lot of raving about it. Is it just the hot new meme or an enjoyable experience worthy of a collection?
>>
>>52092857
You're just being inflammatory. A game can be good and also be overproduced.
>>
>>52093409
His point is that ameritrash games aren't good regardless of production values.
>>
>>52093192
Hot new meme
Mediocre engine builder that'll be forgotten soon enough.
>>
Back in the day before kickstarter designers had to go to publishers with a great game idea that's able to compete on the market, while reducing costs.

Now, designers can just make a kickstarter with pretty pictures and make millions.
>>
>>52074795
has anyone here bothered to look at the gameplay? and if so what did you think of it ?
>>
>>52086102
except kingdom death did it years ago
>>
>>52093598

It doesn't bother me that much. It's not like I'm backing any of them, and you can't stop people from wasting their own money.
>>
>>52093632
Shame nobody noticed, since everyone who shelled the money out for it just hot glued their minis and called it a day.
>>
>>52093598
There are some interesting games that would probably have only been produced through kickstarter that I'm glad I managed to get. It's a useful tool but unfortunately like all tools, it's liable to be (ab)used by the general populace (a.k.a. retards).
>>
>>52093484
That anon's point has consistantly been that anything with over produced plastic bits is shitty ameritrash.
>>
>>52093651
You just couldn't afford it cause you're a poorfag so you never got into the community.
>>
>>52093669
What comes first: a good idea or plastic bits? If a game is good at a fundamental level, then the game doesn't need miniatures
>>
>>52093669
I think you're confusing me with someone else. You need to lurk more and discern individual posters through their writing.
>>
>>52093705
Just because the game doesn't need the plastic to sell, doesn't mean that the plastic can't enhance the experience.
>>
>>52093192

Aree with other poster. You're basically playing solo against the board. Zero interaction with the other players.
>>
>>52093541
>>52093192
I'd put it somewhere in between. Its a lot better than a "mediocre" engine builder, but I wouldn't call it a must have. If you are looking for a engine builder, like the hard sci-fi theme, and can get it for MSRP or below, go for it. Otherwise pass.
>>
>>52093993
Have you played with the drafing rules or just the base? Hate drafting is strong in the games I've played.
>>
I think I'm gonna finally pick up a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill at PAX East this weekend if I see it for a good price. Maybe a friend that sometimes works for his local game store can get me a deal.
>>
File: cootie_fullxfull.320017051.jpg (83KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
cootie_fullxfull.320017051.jpg
83KB, 400x600px
tfw your apartment building had to be fumigated for bedbugs and you moved out over the metal mess it made you and you're too OCD paranoid to open the plastic tub of games you have in storage
>>
>>52094092
Your mileage will vary. It's a fun game, but very very random. Even by the standards of Burgerspielen, it's pretty god damn random. As a result, some of your games will be real awesome, but others will be rather dull.

I've had a game where a group of explorers had to race to the basement with an ancient book to dispell a mummy curse, it was great and everyone had fun. I've had another where a player turned out to be the apprentice of a witch, and the rest of the party had to go to three different rooms and dispel her wards on the house... And none of those rooms had been flipped yet, so the ending kind of sucked, because they had little to no hope of winning. They just wandered around desperately trying to reveal any valid room, only to get completely curb stomped by the witch and helper.

Also, hold off on buying the expansion unless you have confirmed you like the base game. It's not up to the same standard, but it's nice enough for the extra tiles. Some of the expansion haunts are literally broken.
>>
>>52093967
>Not wanting to feel like a shogun playing wargames in his castle instead of a sweaty fat nerd cumming over minis
>>
>>52094092

Do not get this shitfest under any circumstances. It is a complete waste of money.
>>
>>52093616
>has anyone here bothered to look at the gameplay? and if so what did you think of it ?
Obviously not: their Kickstarter description is 15 pages of highly detailed descriptions and photos of miniatures and one tiny footnote to the effect of "we might release a rulebook sometime before funding ends, maybe".

Which shows you where their priorities lie and what kind of "game" this is.
>>
So we played Time Stories. Had fun, though the story itself was not too terribly exciting. Definitely ran differently than we thought it would but still entertaining. Looking at grabbing some of the expansions secondhand.

It brought up a thought that parts of the group had disagreements on.

Is taking notes within the spirit of the game? Like literally having a piece of paper and writing down notes on things you see. Some said it was just fine since we're agents and it would make sense that we could keep physical note of some kind, some said since it wasn't in the rules that we shouldn't.
>>
>>52082092
play it online for free
>>
>>52093541
>>52093993
>>52094046

My personal biases don't require heavy player interaction in a...pseudo-coop game. I enjoy Sci-Fi, especially hard sci-fi and space. I enjoy economics and progression games. That's why I ask.

I'll take a wait-and-see approach. No reason I have to jump on this immediately.
>>
My sister loves lost cities. Looking to buy her a bg gift. Any ideas?
>>
>>52094548

I would say it seems fair to me to take notes on stuff you see on the back of location cards, but taking notes on item cards seems like cheating. Asylum becomes a LOT easier if you snap photos of the pentagrams and don't have to have them all with you at the final door.
>>
>>52094499
This is exactly why I get so sick of plastic-pusher apologists in this thread. Every time, it's the same story. Every time, we're supposed to shut our mouths about how clearly vapid the game is because they were focusing on selling an overpriced toy rather than a designer board game. And every time, some kind of indicator existed like this which proved it was vapid. Happened with Cry Havoc and Giant Killer Robots.
>>
>>52094548
I don't really see the appeal of Time Stories. Legacy games, I get. Story games are cool. But the types of stories in it just seem really bland and the components induce yawns on sight. Anyone have an experience that contradicts this?
>>
>>52093598
But that's fucking wrong anon, tons of stupid, useless shit and rethemed garbage has been published for years. See Hasbros catalog for dozens of examples.
>>
>>52095012

My D&D group plays TIME Stories on alternative Sundays, since some players can't do every Sunday.

Asylum was an incredible experience. The art is gorgeous and the story has interesting twists with very clever puzzles.

The problem is that the expansion scenarios don't even come close to the same standard, and the value-for-money is absolutely terrible. Our group is lucky because our GM sold out of
Magic recently and has unbelievable amounts of game store credit available -- we would probably have much harsher opinions if we weren't buying everything with FLGS Fun Bux.

Even the game's cheerleaders on BGG and reddit have come to admit that the expansions suck and the game is probably going to doom itself through flawed execution, despite the interesting concept.
>>
>>52094089

Only base. But drafting wouldn't help with the player isolation issue.
>>
>>52095191
It's almost as if DLC isn't a shitty shit shitfuck godamn I fucking hate jews concept that has never ever been tried before. Nobody ever learns a damn thing anymore.
>>
>>52095191
Your group must be dramatically different from mine because we found Asylum to be the weakest of all the stories in terms of how the puzzles integrated into the story and gameplay.
>>
>>52094548
Separate Time Stories question:
When a location card says to move to another location, does that cost any TU or make you roll the time die? Or do you just change your location? Seems very odd that you can just hop from one location to the next in an enormous chain without spending any time.
>>
>>52095359

If you're moving on the map in the upper left of the board, yes, you roll the time die every time you move.
>>
>>52076762
This guy here.

Would really like some feedback from you guys. Do you think using dice like that would work well for combat?
>>
>>52092512
Never heard of this game but just watched Vasel's review because of your post. Look like a game I would really enjoy, but none of my friends would.
>>
>>52094921

It's not that there isnt heavy players interaction. It's that there is zero player interaction. Might as well be Might be no solitaire. There is no co-op element. It's just players racing to build the engine
>>
>>52095646
My best advice is to tell your friends to use the starter card suggestions in each clan book (yes there is an entire book for all 4 armies on how they work), then just take them through a game, slowly introducing rules. I don't use the basic game ever though even if it's a bit much to learn. The basic is pretty boring.
>>
File: FinishedMoM1edEvildoers.jpg (451KB, 1500x566px) Image search: [Google]
FinishedMoM1edEvildoers.jpg
451KB, 1500x566px
Finished painting the badguys from MoM 1ed.

Only the investigators and 2ed figures to go.
>>
>>52096791
pretty slick, guy. i like em
>>
>>52096791
i really like the sheen on the worms, makes them look really fleshy
>>
Can anyone help me understand the difference between tactics and strategy? What are some games that use each?
>>
>>52098036
strategy is formulating a plan that you will attempt to implement throughout the course of the game. tactics is responding short term to board states or hands and forming short term plans based on temporary conditions.

most games use both to some degree, but generally euros are more based on strategy and american games are more based on tactics
>>
>>52096791
Nice job Anon. Bonus points for the extra 'creepy factor' it will add to the game.
>>
>>52098036
Strategies are generally broad plans about how to achieve an objective. Ex: "We'll use the element of surprise when we assault the enemy position."

Tactics tend to be more of the 'nuts and bolts' level of planning. Ex: We will surprise the enemy by: tunneling under their position, parachuting in during the dead of night, sneaking in disguised as their own troops, show up disguised as displaced civilians, etc.
>>
>>52095257
DLC is good, it keeps stuff coming out instead of having studios use hire-fire cycles.
What's bad is abusive DLC, like the Hitman model or the EA model.
>>
I'm interested in picking up Tragedy Looper, how flexible is scenario creating in the game? My biggest concern is that I don't want to end up being a forever-Mastermind
>>
>>52099881
you can buy a book full of a ton of new scenarios if you don't like the creation system
>>
>>52100048
There's a book of scenarios? I only know about that one website that compiles all custom scenarios people made.

>>52099881
Whether or not you stay as Mastermind depends on how good you are at being one. You win as mastermind more = they'll want to beat you more than try the role for themselves.
>>
>>52100079
its called tragedy looper script collection. found it on bgg a while back, no idea how easy it is to find but adds new scenarios and new characters
>>
>>52100048
Yeah I'm aware of the expansions, I love the idea of creating scenarios, I guess I should have worded the question better - is it flexible enough to prevent multiple custom scenarios from feeling too samey?

>>52100079
Yeah that's a good point. Are you able to provide a link to that website?
>>
I've got Forbidden Stars coming in the mail in a few days. Anyone have any tips on teaching it to other people? Tips as far as individual races and balance issues would also be appreciated.
>>
Anybody played this? Haven't seen any discussion about it.

I haven't gotten a pure Euro for awhile, and I absolutely love the theme, which seems like a rare enough combo. Don't know how many friends I'd get to play, but the ones that love Euros should be convinced.
>>
>>52100145
http://www.tragedylooperscripts.com

I wonder how easy it is to PnP this game, the cards are probably the hard part of it.
>>
File: Terraforming Mars.jpg (198KB, 863x362px) Image search: [Google]
Terraforming Mars.jpg
198KB, 863x362px
>>52100575
Forgot pic
>>
>>52100592
This game is dissed every single thread, i have no idea how you haven't seen discussion about it considering there are posts in this very thread talking about it.

But I'll humor you I guess. Everyone says it's a pure Euro with essentially no player interaction. If you want an engine builder that's basically solitaire against other people on Mars then you'll probably love it. If you're looking to add a pure Euro to your collection and like the theme this is probably a great bet.
>>
>>52100695
meant to say discussed every thread not dissed
>>
>>52100578
I think it'd be super easy, especially if you're not super concerned with it being high quality components. It's a game you could easily make by just scribbling on some paper and sleeving some paper in a sleeve with a playing card
>>
>>52100695
I could hardly have seen any discussion if I haven't looked.

I don't think I mind the "multiplayer solitaire" thing, that's what a pure Euro is, really. Allows you to talk with the other players, in Mare Nostrum for example even if we're talking something totally unrelated the the game chances are good you're still politicking for in-game alliances, etc.

MP-Solitaire euros can be p cozy.

I think I just love the theme too much to say no. The Mars Trilogy was amazing.
>>
>>52094939
Anybody?
>>
>>52100763
Ya, I wasn't trashing the mp solitaire aspect, just letting you know that that's what's up with it. If you like the theme and want a Euro I would highly recommend.

The only thing I didn't really like is I think the board and other art looked super boring but at the same time it kind of adds to the theme because Mars should be super barren and etc.
>>
>>52087430
Holy shit, you're literally an autistic manchild.

Your envy at other people playing games and having fun is palpable.
>>
>>52100727
Theme is pretty important so I don't know about using scribbles. There's a Persona 4 retheme of the board and player cards, and token versions of the cards used to play stuff, so it's pretty doable. Been interested in it but never really took the plunge, maybe I'll try and PnP a copy first to try it out.
>>
>>52100880
Literally a post almost 20 hours ago, fuck off.
>>
>>52100880
responding to an obvious troll is also something an autistic man child does
>>
>>52100880
>respond to pasta
>uses meme words
>likes *fun*
Don't worry, once you get a little more exposure into 4chan you'll understand why your post was a waste of time. Until then have fun! Shitposting is an important part of the learning process as you will have a reference for quality posts in the future. Great to see new people coming to 4chan, can't wait to see you post some quality content once you get more experience, newfriend!
>>
>>52100964
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: r34895720842.png (1022KB, 1024x689px) Image search: [Google]
r34895720842.png
1022KB, 1024x689px
>>52100993
>thinking a patrician such as myself concerns himself with your kind
Oh poor, misguided anon. Why do you toil at your keyboard so? Don't you understand that as you spend your time worried about people criticizing your (((fun))) model-filled board games I've been far too busy mastering Terra Mystica to even follow KS trends? While you REEEEEEEE at people who decry Santorini as solved I have allowed myself to sample a game quite heavy on theme, Stronghold 2nd Edition (I know normies are scared off by the awful rulebook, but connoisseurs such as myself know how to find the answers we need when we need them). And, as you are reading this, I awaiting my next turn in a rousing game of 1846. Please, my simple friend, do not waste your limited time and energy worrying about me; I operate on a very different plane of board gamery.

Peace, and may Kek be with you on your grueling journey of mechanically unfulfilling gaming.
>>
>>52086988
>Nothing wrong with alpha-players, that's like the whole point of co-op gaming in the first place.

holy fuck. troll mentality is the worst.
>>
>>52100695
>essentially no player interaction
Haven't played the game in question, but when people say "no player interaction", 99% of the time it really means "I didn't figure out the obvious strategies in this game yet".
>>
>>52101243
>haven't played the game, give opinion anyway
>epic you're just not smart enough maymay
yep, back to /r/boardgames
>>
>>52101160
What's a "troll mentality"?
>>
>>52101294
something normies say when they don't understand what they're reading online
>>
>>52101272
a) I wasn't discussing 'Terraforming Mars', I was discussing the other dude's butthurt idiotic turn of phrase.
b) Boardgaming is essentially about being smart the same way basketball is essentially about jumping and throwing a ball. Deal with it or find another hobby.
>>
>>52094939
Makes sense to get her whichever version of Lost Cities she doesn't have, with there being a card and board version.
>>
File: r240982724905.jpg (19KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
r240982724905.jpg
19KB, 499x499px
>>52101396
>defending blatant reddittier bullshit
>mental gymnastics to make himself seem smart
>actually caring enough about your reputation to defend yourself on an anonymous swedish hair curling website
i can't even explain how many laughs people like you give me every single day. please don't ever stop posting as i doubt many can match your level of idiocy and therefore entertainment value
>>
>>52101451
I get you're buttblasted already, no need to repeat yourself.

P.S. Must suck to live with that crippling feeling of inadequacy.
>>
File: r2348905205982.png (81KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
r2348905205982.png
81KB, 400x397px
>>52101485
>just can't resist pleasing other men with my retarded comments
>gladly looking stupid for the enjoyment of others
please continue
>>
Welp, this thread's officially gone to shit. Was good while it lasted.
>>
>>52101676
>Welp, this thread's officially gone to shit. Was good while it lasted.
Like every other /bgg/ thread.

Honestly, 'boardgaming' is at least two disparate things:

* Nerds roleplaying as therapy to work through crippling 'issues'.
* People drawn to boardgames because it is a difficult and highly competitive hobby.

It's no wonder that threads devolve into taunting matches.
>>
>>52101784
>>52101676
Thank god you guys are here to help. Do either of you actually want to talk about board games or do you just wanna bitch like annoying faggots?

Guess I have to get the ball rolling. What are the last games you played? What did you think of them?

I just played Merchants and Marauders for the first time. I liked how thematic it was and thought the combat was actually really well done. Definitely my favorite pirate game.
>>
>>52101859
Last played: Gloomhaven and Millennium Blades w. Set Rotation.

They're pretty good. Gloomhaven shows great promise, but levelling and retiring seems incredibly slow so hoping I won't grow bored of the character before leaving level one.
Blades is good, but I can't shake the feeling that I just like it because I have a history with MtG.
>>
>>52101859
It's pretty easy to ignore the Eurofag, yet people keep acknowledging its existence for some reason

Merchant and Marauders is a pretty damn sweet game, I really like how you can choose to do combat/raiding or play peacefully. Christian Marcussen's other game Clash of Cultures is the same with that regard, they're both great examples of hybrid games.

I played a 2P game of Quartermaster General with both expansions on Monday, didn't get time to finish that game and only played to round 10. Played as Axis, was behind most of the game but I was slowly catching up. Love that game, I really want to see how it plays at 6P because it apparently plays quicker than 2P

I played Dominion (Intrigue set) for the first time on Wednesday night at a public board game meetup, and I have owned Nightfall and Thunderstone for ages. I can respect that it started the deckbuilder genre, but it's so bland and doesn't feel immersive at all. I crushed pretty easily after figuring out the obvious combo of Mining Village and Nobles that was on the market way before anyone else did
>>
>>52102322
>I played Dominion (Intrigue set) for the first time on Wednesday night at a public board game meetup, and I have owned Nightfall and Thunderstone for ages. I can respect that it started the deckbuilder genre, but it's so bland and doesn't feel immersive at all.

Yeah, I just cannot into Dominion either. I wish that Thunderstone would come back into print. Sigh.
>>
>>52095257
Tons of people eat that vidya DLC shit up anon, otherwise no one would do it. If it's profitable in one industry, why the fuck wouldn't you try it in a similar one?
>>
>>52102219
Millennium Blades sounds super meta so i wouldn't be surprised if only people who are/were into tcgs get into it.

>>52102322
I'll have to check out Clash of Cultures sometime then. 6p quicker than 2p? Does the game just have insane amounts of conflict then? Another one I haven't played. And ya Dominion is really fun if it's the only deck builder you ever play.

>>52102378
I thought I heard somewhere it is getting reprinted or kickstarted or something?
>>
This general has fully turned into /tg/s own /v/. I mean it makes sense that it did, but it's still a little sad.
>>
>>52102524
thank god you're here to bitch like a bruised whore, what would we do without you?

do you actually have anything to say about board games? what's your favorite game? why do you like it so much?

My favorite game is Kemet because I like how it handles combat, that it gets violent quick, and slowly becomes more and more asymmetrical.
>>
>>52102498
Yeah, it makes sense in context because there's three countries per side in Quartermaster General and they all must be played, it's much easier to think about what to play with one deck of cards rather than three. Being a card-driven wargame/Euro hybrid you're susceptible to shitty card draws where you can't build armies or do combat, but with the expansions you can mitigate it by discarding three cards to grab a basic card from your deck (basic cards being building an army/navy, doing a land/sea battle or building an air force)

It's a new game with the Thunderstone IP that's being kickstarted, nobody really knows what it's going to be like. I'm personally not interested because Thunderstone Advance is more than enough for me plus I paid a shitload more than I wanted to because it was already OOP when I picked up the sets
>>
>>52102571
I know ot sounds 'reddit' or whatever, but no thanks. You can only come here to ask for recommendations on specific games, because recs for a genre are mostly memes and everything else is /v/tier shitposting: genre wars, hating on games without actually having played them, hating/sucking off youtube/industry 'celebrities' and /bgg/s own special trait: reading stuff into posts with an autistical force that exceeds GW generals.
To say it in your words:
Kys asap for even trying to defend this cancerous cesspool of washed up boardgame nerds, you stupid cuck.
>>
>>52102701
I obviously forgot KS autism.
>>
>>52102701
i have no fucking clue what this mess means dude

why are you here if you don't actually want to talk about board games? i don't get it

just to keep on topic-the next game I'm going to buy will either be inis or cry havoc. I'm going to be playing both in the next couple weeks (thank god i live by a toggle gaming meet up) but in the mean time does anyone have any opinions on those two? either compare/contrast them or just random opinions to throw in would be appreciated. i love the multi use card idea of CH and inis is fucking beautiful and i like area control even without a focus on combat- for reference
>>
>>52102785
CH is kinda meh, desu. Portal games suck now.
>>
>>52103167
would you be willing to go into more detail? ive heard the card system is kinda limiting but using limited resources wisely sounds like its a mechanic they intended and not a result of poor design. i also think it's kinda cool that the 4th player essentially takes over the npc race but maybe that sucks in practice?

any experience with inis? i will be playing quite a bit with 2 players if that matters for either game (although i will at least a couple times a month have larger groups so shitty 2 player experience is not preferable but not a deal breaker)
>>
>>52102785
>next game I'm going to buy
Play the games you already have, you fag.
>>
>>52103239
i have played them all many times. i only own a few games because i have lots of friends with lots of games but i want to and have the money to buy another one so I'm going to buy one none of us have.

if you were to buy a game soon, which would it be anon?
>>
>>52103323
>if you were to buy a game soon, which would it be anon?
Splendor. I liked the online bot version: https://spendee.mattle.online/
>>
>>52073818
As someone into heavier games, Terra Mystica generally gives me more fun per game than Concordia, but which game actually makes it to the table more often? Concordia, of course. Shit's goooooooooooood~~~
>>
>>52103349
splendor is one of the first games i bought, it still gets played all the time. engine building stripped down to the bare essentials and i love it
>>
File: Zeus-1.jpg (90KB, 942x960px) Image search: [Google]
Zeus-1.jpg
90KB, 942x960px
So I'm really in the mood for a nice, epic dudes on a map fighting game that uses cool miniatures. I know I know eye candy plastic pushers and action figures and all that but I don't own such a game and I want to expand my collection in that direction so I own at least one such game.

What are in your eyes some good candidates? Right now Mythic Battles: Pantheon, Blood Rage, and Kemet are on the short list. MB appeals the most to me because I love Greek mythology, but waiting for so long for it to arrive sucks. Blood Rage also looks pretty cool, don't know too much about Kemet but people seem to like it, though it doesn't really look like the kind of miniatures game I'm really looking for. Then there's also Rising Sun and Heavy Hitters but they have the same problem as MB with waiting and I also don't know too much about their mechanics or how they play.
Cthulhu Wars also looks cool but I'm not that big of a Lovecraft fan and I don't know anything about the combat system. I also heard it's very expensive, but that's no problem if they game itself is actually good.

Anyway, what dudes on a map fighting game that uses great minis would you recommend?
>>
Hows Mansions of Madness 1st edition?
>>
>>52103607
Never played any of these, but Blood Rage is the only more-or-less mainstream game out of all these.
>>
>>52103607
mb pantheon looks cool but has all the problems you know about
Kemet is super fast paced and more about resolving combat than area control but the models are underwhelming in number and quality compared to your other choices
blood rage is more about card drafting and area control than real combat. there is combat but it doesn't feel super confrontational. has cool models.
Kemet is my favorite game but the look of models has never factored into my choices so take that as you will
>>
>>52103607
I wouldn't call Rising Sun a fighting game. It's a glorified Risk knockoff with more and better looking pieces and a bit more politics. If it weren't for all the minis and the artwork the game wouldn't be talked about at all.
>>
>>52078599
For me? I'm afraid so.
>>
>>52103772
i also wouldn't call blood rage a fighting game desu
>>
>>52095464
I think it sounds pretty good. I like that you not only use several dice when rolling, but also different dice for different effects/weapons. The balancing process will probably turn out to be a bitch though.
>>
>>52103607
Cthulhu Wars is honestly pretty great if you can afford it. The models are great eyecandy. When a game is in progress you WILL draw spectators if playing in a public space.

The actual gameplay is also very, very good. It's asymmetric, has no real hidden information to speak of, but manages to be very balanced and tactical.
The closest game to it gameplay-wise is Chaos in the Old World, but they are still pretty different beasts.
>>
>mfw All the eurofag games discussed here
Who plays TwI3?
>>
File: 1478174101047.jpg (182KB, 1152x1153px) Image search: [Google]
1478174101047.jpg
182KB, 1152x1153px
>>52103680
>>
>>52104137
>played keeper for three games of MoM 1e
Not the deepest response, but apt.
>>
>>52104089
i do hi
>>
>>52102467
>ad populum argument

DLC is cancer. Anyone who defends it should be shot for being just too stupid and anyone attempting it should be shot for being a godamn jew.
>>
>>52104417
he wasn't defending it as a practice, just saying that it makes sense for a business to do from a fiscal standpoint
>>
>>52104089
All the time.
>>
>>52103680
Needs a lot of houseruling imho, but its very easy to implement which is cool.
>>
>>52104417
As >>52104593 pointed out, I wasn't defending it, just playing devils advocate and explaining why the subscription model is taking over everything. I hate that shit as much as anyone but I understand why you can't put the genie back into the bottle.
>>
>>52103680
Good, but clunky as hell for the GM. It was FFG's first (?) attempt at a dungeon crawler and the rules are a little outdated. We played through most of it and have just started 2nd edition and I don't think we'd ever go back.
>>
>>52100777
I haven't played lost cities (disclaimer: I literally just read how the game plays so take this for what you will) but she might like hanabi, Jaipur, or Red7. Of those three I've only played hanabi but I really like playing it. I've seen lots of praise for Jaipur and Red7 from other anons here but I can't personally comment on them
>>
>>52089268
Mage Knight guy here, can someone answer this?

How does the game play at 2~4 players?
>>
Millenium Blades is now in stock on Amazon. I really want to get it but I doubt any of my friends would play it with me ;_;
>>
>>52094939
I never got why people like that game
>>
>>52105102
It's fantastic with 2, haven't played with more. If the people you play with are even mildly AP prone the game is gonna take forever and downtime will be a killer but if everyone is okay with that I don't see why 3-4 player wouldn't work.
>>
>>52105425
How would you recommend me going about learning how to play? I know some guy recommended a youtube channel but he has about 2 hours of "tutorials", is it mandatory or is there somewhere they do it better?
>>
>>52105463
There's a walkthrough scenario included with the game that teaches you the basic strategy. Then for your first real game you will sit with the rulebook and look stuff up all the time and after that it's smooth sailing! Kind of.
>>
>>52105181
isn't there a solo variant?
>>
>>52101859
Last played BattleCon Fate of Indines its really good but each character takes a bit to get the hang of
>>
>>52105735

The first expansion just came out, Set Rotation. It includes a co-op mode that can indeed be played solo. I've heard it's still fun if you need some MB action and no friends are avilable, but still not as good as the usual multiplayer mode.
>>
File: 1464975231230.jpg (12KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
1464975231230.jpg
12KB, 480x358px
>>52105181
>tfw got impatient and bought it from L99 directly and over paid by 30 bucks
>>
>>52097018
>>52097038
>>52098425
Cheers lads

>Bonus points for the extra 'creepy factor' it will add to the game.
These zombie sculpts are some of the least creepy I've ever seen.
>>
>>52107119
they look really friendly desu
>>
>>52106676
ya I've heard that game is best when you have a consistent group to play with as there is a huge learning curve as far as each character goes. did you get into battle con due to an initial interest in fighting vidya? seems like thats a common reason to seek out battle con
>>
>>52106886
well if i were you (and i ended up buying it) I'd learn it really well by playing the solo variant and by playing against myself then try to teach it to a friend. They'll be much more likely to enjoy it if you know the rules well. if you're friends are the kind of people who don't like getting crushed the first time they play a game just play it co op with them the first time so they get the hang of it. will probably be worth it if you like the look of the game.

or are your friends unlikely to play because they're filithy casuals who don't have the attention span to learn anything harder than catan/pandemic?
>>
>>52105735
>>52106886
I knew about the solo mode but $60+ is a lot of money to drop for a really nice game to play alone
>>
>>52107252
I think it's just the theme of the game that would turn them off
>>
>>52109518
Idk if by theme you mean the idea of it simulating a tcg experience or just the art but i will say i think the art is horrible and if it were better there would be a lot more interest in the game
>>
>>52104417
>DLC is cancer.
Not in itself. DLC is good when it keeps the dev team busy while the creative types are still hammering out the basics of the next game, preventing layoffs and keeping the franchise in the public eye. Compare Morrwind's Bloodmoon/Tribunal and Skyrim's Dawnguard/Hearthfire/Dragonborn to Oblivion's pic related.
>>
>>52110059
No, Expansions are good, that long-ago practice before the industry turned into a turd-pile. DLC is shit because it gives rise to lazy cash-grabbing garbage.
>>
>>52110184
yep, like the difference between expansions for board games and ks exclusives for board games
>>
>>52110184
>>52110213
Oh, so DLC is shorthand for exploitative mini-expansions, got it.
Thought it was everything after the main release.
>>
>>52109732
I like to think of the art as the garbage pail kids of anime
>>
>>52105102
2 excellent, 3 still great, 4 can have the downtimes between turns too long depending on the players. Also you really don't want to play on too cramped a map layout with 4. Shades of Tesla expansion (which is a must-buy really) allows five players but I wouldn't go there.

A lot of the downtime between the player turns is mitigated once players know to plan out their turns properly during opponent turns. There is not that much happening usually that will directly and immediately affect how you play, especially if the opponent is acting on the other side of the map, and you generally know most of your tools at the start of your turn.
>>
>>52110347
how could it be everything when full expansions are often released physically not just digitally, which means they could not be defined as dlc. stop trying so hard to make a point, you're really bad at it
>>
>>52100421

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQX4i9DlvuA

This is the best "how to play" video, if you can stand the old timey feel they use for no discernible reason.

The factions are all fairly balanced, if you're familiar with 40k you'll have an idea of their strengths and weaknesses. This might be worth a read for you:

>https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1412462/things-i-wish-i-had-known-first-time-i-played-forb

Happy gaming friendo.
>>
>>52111490
sweet, cheers bra
>>
>>52074795
Whatever it is, might be of interest...

dunno about the price, though, and all the stuff that is relegated to kickstarter backer-only.
>>
Going to play Twilight Imperium for the first time tomorrow, any tips?
>>
>>52111977
Play Yssaril.
>>
>>52111977
Grab a map from here instead of building one yourselves. Personal favorite is The Breach, and also coincides with my favorite playercount for the game. If the host is running the game for 7-8 of you, punch him in the genitalia for me, and tell him that he's a dickass moron who likes wasting people's time.
http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/maps.html
>>
>>52111977
do not go into this game thinking you are in control of the outcome. the dice and random shit that can happen will determine the game. play the game to enjoy the experience or not at all.

but it's super fun if you're cool with that
>>
Any board games similar to Mage Knight that plays with tiles and has a RPG feel?
>>
Any /fun/ games that can be printed like Secret Hitler?
>>
>>52112955
Almost any game can be printed if you try hard enough.
>>
i just clicked around on bgg's forums for the first time a bit...jesus fucking christ that is by far the most cancerous forum i have ever been on in my fucking life. never again
>>
>>52112984
I know anon but secret hitler is designed to be played pnp easily. I know a guy who printed a whole catan set and expansions but that's not the thing I've asked
>>
File: Marmelee.jpg (5MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Marmelee.jpg
5MB, 2550x3300px
>>52113069
You asked for games that can be printed, not necessarily easily.

Jokes aside, Battlecon takes a bit of time to get the basics down (board, base cards, etc), but each character you add is usually only another 9 cards. There's a PnP somewhere on L99's website.

Resistance, Mafia de Cuba (you need to get a bit creative though), Slap .50 if you cut down on the fancy extras, Love Letter. Hope you like light games.
>>
>>52113908
>>52113908
>>52113908
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.