[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 40

File: board games2.jpg (563KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
board games2.jpg
563KB, 850x850px
Previous thread:
>>51985992

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you been playing recently?

What games are at the top of your wishlist?

Have you ever had an idea for a board game? If so, what stopped you from realizing it?
>>
Hoping to get Millennium Blades to the table this weekend
>>
Just got back from a huge business trip and I think I have hull breach for the group and terror in needle city for the family waiting for me. Thoughts?
>>
Scythe is rank 5 on BGG now
Is this so good?
>>
>>52012667
Yes it's pretty good, probably not that good so I expect it to slip a bit. The real shitshow is Garbage Legacy being number 1. Fuck that noise.
>>
Looks like I bought Captain Sonar at 3am this morning.

Neat.
>>
File: it looks pretty i guess.png (242KB, 510x340px) Image search: [Google]
it looks pretty i guess.png
242KB, 510x340px
>>52012696
You can easily find it at a discounted price, and for the time you get out of it, I see nothing wrong with it.

>>52012046
Tell me why I shouldn't back the Grid Game
>>
>>52012862
It's a fantastic game, although I highly recommend you play real-time with 6 or 8 people
>>
>>52012862

Were you drunk or something ?

Sounds like you dont remember buying it.
>>
Any good thematic (this part is important!) games I can buy a PC version of as well as a physical version, so that I can learn the rules thoroughly before I try to teach others to play?

I'm so bad at just looking at a rulebook and learning a game.
>>
File: twilight struggle.jpg (261KB, 935x1271px) Image search: [Google]
twilight struggle.jpg
261KB, 935x1271px
>>52014439
Actually, Twilight Struggle has a steam version that's pretty good. The interface is a bit clunky, but the A.I. plays extremely well, and the software follows the board game rules explicitly thus allowing you to learn the board game version of the rules correctly. Very thematic as well.
>>
Lewis & Clark for 25 bucks
yay or nay?
>>
>>52014517
Oh, has it improved? Last I checked it was getting some rules incorrect (e.g. USSR playing The Iron Lady) and the AI was trash (as in, literally playing suicide cards).
>>
Just bought mage knight. Is the game engaging?
>>
>>52016563
Very, but lots of downtime between turns if you're playing with more than 2.
>>
Are the expansions worth it for The Resistance or should i just get Avalon?
>>
>>52012046
Some people from work are interested in getting a Diplomacy game going, anyone have experience with those? Never played it before but it sounds fun.
>>
>>52018193
They're ok, though I'm of the opinion they exist for the people who play Resistance a lot, and start to have too much meta gaming and everything playing out too similar. When people ask me I tend to say pick the art/theme that appeals to you more, because even if you get Avalon, you're likely going to have to teach the base game several times to any new players before adding in the roles to tune the difficulty to your particular group.
>>
considering grabbing seasons. I've only really heard good things about this game and want to hear some of the negatives. What did you hate about seasons?
>>
Friend is a teen librarian at a suburban public library and she has $500 in grant money to buy board games for a game night program.

/r/ recommendations for games to purchase for 13-18 year olds. Maybe 20 to 30 will show up.
>>
>>52019458
Party games first and foremost. Codenames, Resistance, Dead Last, Cash n Guns, etc. Intro games after that, probably something no more complicated than Splendor.
>>
>>52019458
Kingdom Death.

I would probably get forbidden desert/jamaica.
>>
>>52019458
Look up the Board of Education segments on the BoardGameBlender series, middle school teacher (think it's 7th grade) who does an after school game group. That'll get you the low end of the age range, look at as many gateway top 10s, from every reviewer out there to fill in the upper end.
>>
Opinions on Rex: Final Days of the Empire?
>>
>>52018252
Are these work associates friends? If so, they won't be for much longer.
>>
>>52020710
Favorite 6 player game, period.
Fantastic asymmetry, loads of hidden information, love it to death. If I thought killing Brian Herbert would get it reprinted with the original dune lisence, police would have given up looking for the body years ago.
>>
Anything good on clearence at Mini Market?
>>
>>52020902
>>52018252
It's fun because of the intrigue and the social interaction/manipulation element. There's no dice, which I like since it removes luck.

Everyone acts like this ruins friendships or something. If your group of friends have reached emotional maturity past high school they'll understand to differentiate acts from a game and from real life.
>>
>>52020947
>If I thought killing Brian Herbert would get it reprinted with the original dune lisence, police would have given up looking for the body years ago.
Also if we could remove those new novels....
>>
For those that play Mage Knight regularly, what are your favorite scenarios to play? I recently started playing dungeon lords and it's so much more fun to me than the standard conquest scenario because of how much your power ramps up. I ended with a deck of 38 cards which seems ridiculous to me (I did get 2 training type advanced actions though so that helped a lot).

Also any custom variants floating around people like?
>>
Just played Saboteur 2, 3p, and wow that was satisfying. Like, satisfying enough to play in the place of other hidden traitor games that are taken more seriously, even. It works and is totally balanced at such a low player count, that's what surprised me the most, with it being in the social deduction genre and really quite fast. Like in Dead of Winter, every move can be explained as "Oh, I'm not really the traitor, I just have a weird specific role that needs me to x." and that's what makes this sort of thing great. The last round was the weirdest - I was a Geologist, who has a goal entirely unaffected by other people's win conditions, but because it was the end, the others sabotaged themselves just to block off my crystals, knowing they'd win me the whole game. They tried to scramble for a win after that, but it actually did kill them, and the one Saboteur who really was one proceeded to reap the rewards and win the game. Crazy, compelling stuff.

Do avoid Saboteur 1 though. It's just bollocks and not even fun. This has to be the biggest leap in game to expansion quality I've ever seen.
>>
>>52012667
BGG rank is absolutely worthless, the algorithms behind its calculation are broken.
>>
>>52012667
Highly overrated in my opinion. It looks fantastic, but the gameplay is that of a low-medium complexity eurogame with zero player interaction.

On top of this, it's got balance issues.
>>
I see that mage knight has heroclix addon characters, do I have to choose between using the clix dial characters and the generic ones included in the base game or can they be used at the same time during a campaign?
>>
>>52023004
>zero player interaction.

So you've never played it or seen it, got it.
>>
>>52023478
'Zero player interaction' just means "I haven't figured out the common strategies in this game".
>>
>>52023169
Are there really? I never knew that.

I will always be sad that the original Mage Knight game died out. I picked up a lot of mini's years ago when I was little because it seemed like such a fun game and I did manage to get one or two friends to play with me (using my mini's). But by the time I was old enough to actually be going out and playing tabletop games, heroclix took over and I wasn't anywhere near as interested. Mage Knight actually had cool lore to it and I really liked the style. Plus I was smart enough to not start dumping money into another mini's game...

Any idea if there are people who still play Mage Knight, as in the miniature game? I dunno if it's one of those random games that still has obscure cult followings or something.
>>
>>52023819
Yea I saw that mage knight had the basic game setup with miniatures and the 3-ish expansions then a new expansion that has the new characters with heroclix dials and there are also mage knight add-on character grab bags with heroclix dials also. I want them but idk if they're usable in the main game
>>
>>52023957
What expansion is this? To my knowledge the only figures that have click dials are the castles and volkare, which just denote their levels. If there's a new expansion/content, I would love to get my hands on it. It's probably my favorite game. I'm still hoping for some kind of super special edition with all the expansions included; if it was nice enough I honestly would not mind shelling out the money even though I own it all already. It's the kind of game I'll be playing for years and years, so I'd love to have a nice version of it.
>>
>>52024051
I believe it's the lost legion expansion
>>
>>52024150
Unless there's some new version of it, lost legion has 1 mini with a click dial which is volkare. He's the big baddie of the expansion, which most if not all the new campaigns revolve around. He has a dial for a similar reason that the cities do; to show you what level he is/his strengths. He's not a character that can be used by a player, and as far as I remember his dial never clicks up or down during the scenario, as it's just set to show you his stats for the scenario.

I'm pretty sure mage knight mini's exist of all the characters in the board game, but they're basically the same mini's just on a click dial instead of a flat base. I don't actually think they add anything to the board game. If I'm wrong and there's more content I could have, I'd love that, but as far as I know and can see, there's nothing that uses click dials outside of setting a level and no reason to have minis WITH dials.
>>
>>52019458
besides all the cheapo stuff like
-hanabi
-no thanks
-set
-kwatro

i would put at least some stuff like
-stoneage
-isle of skye
-carcassonne
-catan

maybe get 1 game like
-caverna
just because its something they would never buy themselves. its a special game and this is a public library, not some party. there will be tons of different people. so having 1 really special expensive game would probably be cool.
>>
Played Millennium blades for this first time this weekend, good thing we played it last because jesus does it take alot of energy out of you. What and amazing but exhausting game.
>>
>>52018193
Avalon is same price as the resistance so it's sort of a no brainer really unless you really can't handle the theme. (I feel like it fits better personally and gives the special roles alot more flavour)
>>
Played Virgin Queen yesterday. We actually almost got to turn 7; it took 11-12 hours. I feel like I've been beaten to a pulp, but man what a game, really intense
>>
>>52014517
>but the A.I. plays extremely well
No more t1 ar1, Coup in the Philippines with the China Card...?
No more "let's play Olympic Games" while DEFCON is at 2...?

It's probably ok to learn to play the game, though since it's largely mindgames, I don't think you'll know how to play it well.
>>
>>52019203
I know one my friend got really frustrated by a combination of cards that were constantly stealing crystals and a card that added a crystal cost to cards. By the time he recovered and got to play stuff, he was way behind. Expansions waste a lot of their effort adding optional modules that just aren't fun and make you kinda wish it was only the new cards and made cheaper. Hmmmm, what else can I add to this. I wish transmuting was a bit more valid of a strategy. The stock market of elements could be fun to play if the cards to help that strategy were a little better.
>>
Anyone here have thoughts on 'Giant Killer Robots'?
>>
>>52025214
We all have

None of them are worth anything
>>
Any tabletop/board games with mecha?
>>
>>52025171
>11-12 hours

I would have slit my own throat after 7 hours.

Was it worth it anon? Would you do it again?
>>
>>52025214
This gets asked every fucking thread STOP
>>
>>52019458
Raptor!

I dunno I just want to talk about Raptor finally getting wins in with the raptors after 14 games.
>>
>>52012667
Just played today
Truly disappointed...
Maybe I shouldn't expected a 4X experience
It's an OK euro tho
>>
>>52014517
How hard is the game to learn?
>>
>>52025268
The only mech board games I've found are Battletech and Robotech. Battletech is sold out everywhere and being scalped at incredibly high prices so you'll have to wait for another printing run. You can buy robotech but I've seen a lot of complaints about it online.

I just want a board game where I can blow up a shit ton of mechs. Is that so much to ask?
>>
So, what are the best RPG-inna-box board games? I'd like to avoid Descent2E or these gigantic kickstarter games, but I'll do what I must.
>>
>>52026861
Why avoid Descent?
>>
>>52026878

I've played it, the experience (in out experience) can easily tilt in favor of the overlord or players for the whole campaign, and it has more expansions than a japanese CCG.
It's still quality, but I'm sure there's other stuff out there I should be playing.
>>
Has anyone used the Renegade Official App that gives you a really beautiful animated AI to play against in Clank! ?

I don't own the game myself, but a friend has a copy and I've fiddled with the app, it looks really cool and fun. I don't know if it's worth buying the game for solo play, though.
>>
>>52026653
I've been using my battletech minis and boards to play Arsenal: Arena Combat, which is an unrepentant dice-chucker driven by cardplay mechanics, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than core battletech.
>>
>>52026962
That's good to know, I'll look into it. Thanks anon
>>
I was going to buy Santorini from CSI but it ran out of stock today, anyone knows when they restock stuff like this?
Is there even a restock available for Santorini?
>>
>>52028966
it's successful enough that it's certain to get restocked eventually, but kickstarter games can sometimes be a while between prints
>>
>>52029209
Just as I was typing 1 came in stock, lucky!
Lets hope it wasn't a mix up.
>>
File: mythic battles2345.jpg (187KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles2345.jpg
187KB, 1280x720px
You have 2 more days to late pledge. After that it's done.
>>
>>52029300
>plastics pusher

Don't worry, another will be along in a week.
>>
>>52029300
>you have 2 more days to preorder this. After that it's done.
No thanks.
>>
>>52029300

I really wanted to back this, but being a completionist they really added too much shit.

No way I can spend 700+ $ on this game (I already have Shadows of Brimstone to keep up to)
>>
>>52026861
>>52026878
>>52026907
I have thought about starting to collect Descent 2nd ed. but I too have been slightly put off by all the smaller extra stuff you can buy.
'
Is it worth it overall?
Some expansions/extras that I definately should get/avoid?
Is it actually fun for players not accustomed to roleplaying games?
>>
Been playing since 2014 and ive managed to keep my collection very strict and luckily have had chance to play other boardgames via friends or boardgamecafe

>Lords of Waterdeep + Skullport
>Eclipse + Rise of Ancients
>The Resistance + Hidden Agenda
>Coup + Reformation
>Hanabi
>Android Netrunner

Ive been wondering if Scythe would be my next purchase, but havent had a chance to try it out, is it only good with 4 players?
>>
>>52026495
First game will most likely be a drag of course, but the rules are pretty short (like 6 pages), there isn't much to do (4 actions) per round, mostly the timing is key (which isn't hard to understand, but difficult to do it well naturally).

The main thing will probably be remembering the cards, but even my gf who is usually pretty bad at this got it in 2-3 games for the critical cards. It's not such a hard part, it comes faster than you would think, it helps that every card is very thematic and it's not such a big deal anyway.

It's not that hard to learn (rules-wise) for a game this size, not really hard to see what's to be done, but there's still a lot of strategy and timing of how to do it, how to do it not to obviously, how to counter bad luck or bad cards, it's not easy to master but after just one-two games (regardless of chosen sides) you should be good to go seriously.
>>
>>52025171

Best game ever
>>
contemplating whether i should order caverna in english or buy the cheesy dutch version.

my lgs bough like the last 100 dutch caverna's and the 2 mini expansions. they give those 2 mini expansions away with every caverna. not sure how much value i should put on that.
>>
>>52012046
>Have you ever had an idea for a board game? If so, what stopped you from realizing it?
I'm currently trying to think up a game that can be played on your lap to give you something to do while you were riding in a car/bus/plane, or when you're out and wanting to pass time (obviously it'd be a solo game)
>>
>>52031092

Space hulk death angel lap version?
>>
>>52012046
I wrote up some stuff about my perfect dice placement game but I'm gonna have to do something to the rules cuz the way I wanted it to play had too many addendums and such
>>
>>52025433
Oh yeah, absolutely, but I'm a sucker for that stuff. I'm just glad I have a small, dedicated group of people that are as masochistic as I am
>>
>>52031264
Possibly. I had thought about making it kind of Indiana Jones-like where you sneak into some cave, steal some stuff, and then try to escape while everything tries to kill you. I literally had this thought yesterday.
>>
>>52029697
$500 plus shipping.
>>
>>52031799
No game is ever worth that much
>>
File: 1462266980795.jpg (7KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
1462266980795.jpg
7KB, 211x239px
>>52031799
>500 dollar for a single game
>>
File: Objectification.png (40KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Objectification.png
40KB, 800x800px
>>52031997
>>
a local store had krosmaster arena's Frigost expansion but not the base game.

i've been considering getting it for a while and was surprised that the base game goes for about $60 as opposed to $100 nowadays. Would anyone give me a good reason to NOT get it? Anything glaringly shitty about Krosmaster as a whole that i wouldn't find out until i opened the box up and played a few games?
>>
>>52031997
I guess plenty of people disagree. I am fortunate enough to be in a fincnial situation that allows me to make such borderline insane purchases once in a while without thinking back.
>>
File: village attacks.jpg (138KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
village attacks.jpg
138KB, 680x680px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimlordgames/village-attacks/

Have you guys seen this? What do you think?
>>
>>52032224

i also noticed there's a Krosmaster Arena 2.0 edition and something called Krosmaster Quest. is all this shit distinctly different or am i only supposed to buy 1 version and stick with it?
>>
>>52032251
color me uninterested
the minis look nice at least
also >ks exclusives
>>
>>52032251
>Dungeon tiles
>Minis for the sake of minis
>80 pounds for what looks like a shallow co-op with quarterbacking (because minis)
Would have been cooler if it was dungeon keeper esque and no fucking minis driving up the price.

Which reminds me, I'd love to see a boardgame adaption of the psp game where you play as an evil dungeon lore
>>
>>52032251
>$100 plus ca. $15 for shipping for this

You know what pisses me off the most? The game sounds really fun and looks cool, but the price point so fucking high and you know why? Becuase they decided that it's necessary to include a couple dozen peasant minis. Fucking why? Nice minis for the players/monsters, okay I would totally get that. But why the fuck not just use tokens or chits or cards for all the other shit? Without all those unnecessary minis the game could be 50 dollars, maybe even less.
I'm not one of those people who hate on everything mini. Minis can add a lot of flair to a game, but in this case it's just idiotic. Also, even with that amount of minis that price still seems really high.
>>
>>52032579
Minis make money. In the future even Uno will come with minis.
>>
>>52032579
The designers know that the only way to get funding on KS is to include minis and preorder bonuses.
>>
>>52019458
Formula D seats 10 and is about RACECARS and therefor rad.
>>
>>52023746
>>52023478

Really. Explain how there is player interaction in Scythe. You don't block off other people's actions as you do in most worker placement eurogames, your workers are generally not in much threat and if you DO need to retreat them you can bring resources with you.

I own the art connoiseur edition. I've played the game multiple times. It's decent fun, but it IS highly overrated and in no way deserves #5 on BGG.

Again, tell me how there is player interaction in this game. I'm waiting.
>>
>What have you been playing recently?
Codenames, Star Wars Risk (the good one) and Nefarious. Star Wars Risk was kinda awkward, as an old man who'd come along to the meetup hoping somebody would play his new copy of Risk with him...

Well, he saw us setting up he was obviously keen to play ANY kind of Risk. What ended up happening was me having to explain the rules for the second time, to somebody who clearly wasn't listening - I even gave him the rulebook to read, but he didn't read it. I ended up just telling what cards to play and how many dice he should roll, and even letting him kill off more ships so he wouldn't feel left out.

Didn't help that he was taking up a lot of space in the booth (this meetup was at a trendy bar/restaurant) and I occasionally got a whiff of Old Man Smell every now and then. I felt sorry for the old guy, as he was clearly in the wrong place... but not sorry enough to play his version of Risk.

On a more positive note, a middle-aged woman came in with her son and grandson, and she was delighted to see everyone play all these different games that she'd never seen before. I told her about how meetups worked, and pointed her in the direction of HABA for her grandson
>What games are at the top of your wishlist?
I've got everything, but I guess Star Trek Catan might be neat to have, or maybe the latest edition of Fury of Dracula
>Have you ever had an idea for a board game? If so, what stopped you from realizing it?
Card-based game about students tidying up their rooms before their parents stop by for a visit. Currently on permanent hiatus due to my laziness.
>>52019458
Guillotine - it's (sort of) educational AND sick as fuck!
>>52022516
It's the opposite for me - I love base Saboteur's simplicity, and think Saboteur 2 is juggling too many eggs to be fun
>>
>>52026861
Gloomhaven if you can find it.

Star Wars Imperial Assault is also good, pretty much perfects the Descent formula.
>>
>>52031799

Still too much.

It's pretty cool that Kickstarter allows players to get the game and a bunch of expansions right away (especially for that kind of game) but shit... when you go over a certain line... Maybe you should spread it out a bit ?
>>
>>52033167
Then it won't get funded. There's nothing fun about having something that non-pledgers have access to.
>>
Looking for a 4 player game for bar nights and found out about Skull, is it any good? Any recommendations?
>>
>>52033235

I mean spread it out over time.

Instead of making one 500 $ KS, make two 250 $ KS separated by a few years. Nobody ever delivers on time anyway. (but I also understand that you have to sell your shit fast before the hype dies down... this shit is bananas.)
>>
>>52033358
But the 500$ is easily earned back when selling the limited quantities on ebay.
>>
File: gkr heavy hitters.jpg (2MB, 680x4809px) Image search: [Google]
gkr heavy hitters.jpg
2MB, 680x4809px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wetaworkshop/gkr-heavy-hitters/
>>
>>52033642
Subtle.
>>
File: dgcontent.png (352KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dgcontent.png
352KB, 500x500px
I ordered Dicey Goblins for half price. Did I do good /bgg/?
>>
>>52033642
Thanks for reminding us...

Note to self: Wait for KS backers of this game to start dumping it on Ebay when they realize the rules are terrible, then buy dirt-cheap copy for some minis.

Thanks Anon! We're done here.
>>
>>52032932
Not them but

>stealing resources and disrupting other people's engines
>blocking movement by placing workers on mines
>generally intruding on other people's territory, forcing them to change their plans or suffer popularity loss

It's definitely subtle, plus you can win without doing it since building your engine is a better idea, but it's there, kinda. I imagine it isn't enough for you if you complain about it though.
>>
thoughts on Puerto Rico /bgg/?
>>
>>52034085
While I can see some of those plus Combat, I still feel it's not really a game with any significant amount of player interaction.

>Stealing resources
Seldom happens in practice as it's a heavily telegraphed move and worker meeples can carry resources when they move. Giving your workers a mech escort is also common and the popularity loss even further decentivises bullying meeples.

>Blocking Movement
That one I'll grant, didn't think about that.

There's also the actual combat, but in practice most people seem to avoid combat as much as possible unless playing Totally-Not-Ze-Germans due to the popularity loss.
>>
File: 1468016805743.jpg (139KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
1468016805743.jpg
139KB, 800x700px
>>52033004
I'm getting really scared about getting older.
>>
>>52034692
Yeah, I'll admit that most of the time I play I don't really care about what other people do too. The huge board and busy player and faction mats probably contribute to this I reckon, there's so much stuff to keep track of that keeping track of other people's moves too isn't worth the time. Plus some of the player and faction mat combinations are so good you can win without moving from your home hexes (Patriotic Crimea comes to mind; two workers on farm, however many workers on mountain, monument built, fully upgraded deploy and enlist actions, and the deploy and enlist recruits enlisted, and you can spam Produce and Bolster until the end of the game for net 5 coins every two turns, more if you take into account end game resources since you'll be using combat cards to pay bottom actions).

That said, the Nords and Saxons probably have the most player interaction, since the Nord's workers can start blocking mines (which are often Riverwalk hexes) very early, and the Saxons MUST capitalize on the other player's low power to win some combat stars. Trailing behind is Polania who can just intrude on hexes with workers without care.

Personally I like how subtle the interaction is, feels just right with the theme of the game. But I can understand why some don't like it or think it isn't enough.
>>
I played a nomic version of crazy 8s recently. It was pretty fun.
>>
Today I played Space Alert and Cosmic Encounter. Yesterday I played Arkham Horror LCG. I have a group that's working through the scenarios for T.I.M.E Stories, and the T.I.M.E Stories owner got Shadows of Brimstone too, which we tried out last week.

Top of my wishlist is New Angeles.

I have occasionally had incredibly stupid ideas for board games.

Hey /tg/, I have Cosmic Encounter with Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Dominion. I still don't have Cosmic Alliance, Cosmic Storm, or Cosmic Eons.

Which Cosmic Encounter expansions should I get, and which one of the three I don't have would be the best choice to get next?
>>
Any party games that are really fun, laughable and creative? Snake oil has probably been my favorite thus far
>>
>>52036245
If improvisation is what tickles your funny bones, try Funemployed.
>>
>>52026962
I've been looking up Arsenal: Arena Combat, do you recommend it?
>>
>>52036361
Oh Hell Yes! Funemployed is a blast. I've had people who literally told me they had no skill at games like this turn out to be hilarious players.
>>
i don't really care for settlers of catan much but rivals for catan was surprisingly fun. i feel like it had much more depth to it. anyone have any opinions on it? are the expansions worth it?
>>
>>52033004
I get that it's more simple, but I don't get where the intrigue is. If you play a bad card, you are the Saboteur. It's that simple. You can't say "Sorry guys, I'm just on Green team and really want our team to win instead of theirs!" or "I'm milling for crystals because I'm a Geologist, okay? I promise I won't do it that much." You just... eventually betray and hope the others can't take you down at that time. There's never a way you can actually get the identity of the Saboteur flat-out wrong, you just have no evidence and then suddenly have all the evidence. I don't get what you're meant to feel about that, the game kinda plays itself, it's like it's a push your luck game for the Saboteur to come out exactly late enough, and otherwise just a plain cave building game for everyone else.
>>
has anyone played inis with two players? how was it?
>>
How does the Lords of Waterdeep expansion add to the game? Does it change much up or just add new quests, buildings and intrigue cards?
>>
>>52038257
More of the same, but 'bigger' and more player interaction through intrigue cards. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you. Corruption is a new mechanic which is a double-edged sword with nice rewards as you get it but possible long-term damage with VP penalties.
>>
>>52032838
>Minis make money. In the future even Uno will come with minis.
Not really, you're in a bubble that doesn't correspond to reality. Look at any list of best-selling games -- it's mostly party games (obviously) and the driest, most mathematical euros. Minis are for neckbeards, this is a very niche market.
>>
>>52038257

Depends on the modules you use.

Undermountain mostly just makes everything bigger, adding quests, intrigue cards, and buildings that have bigger rewards and bigger costs. It DOES add more ways to get intrigue cards without going to Waterdeep Castle, so in that regard it encourages more player interaction.

Skullport is the really interesting one. Skullport adds spaces and quests with bigger payouts, but they make you take corruption. Corruption tokens are taken from the corruption track. The first space on the track only gets one corruption token and is -1, while all the other spaces (-2 through -9) each have three tokens. Every corruption token in a player's tavern is worth the value of the empty space furthest along the track, so once four corruption are in circulation, each corruption is -2, seven makes it -3, ten makes it -4, etc. If all the spaces are empty, every time you would take a corruption you just lose 10 points straight up.

The "long game" module just gives everybody an extra agent at the start of the game. You can't play a long game if you aren't using either Skullport or Undermountain (otherwise you wouldn't be able to place all the agents). You HAVE to play a long game if you are using both Skullport and Undermountain (otherwise there will be too many spaces).

You also get a set of grey pieces you can use to add a sixth player to the game. If you play with six, you HAVE to play a long game -- so you need to use either Undermountain, Skullport, or both.
>>
Does anyone know of a good gaming piece set? Dice or poker chips don't need to be included. Preferably metal or plastic pieces. Something generic that can be useful for most games.

Also is there some sort of generic deck of cards that's not the standard 52 set that are useful to have around?
>>
File: HIS500.jpg (367KB, 666x882px) Image search: [Google]
HIS500.jpg
367KB, 666x882px
>>52025171
Nice. As it's the 500th anniversary of the christian reformation I'm gonna try to get my group to give Here I Stand a proper try. There was a not-so-serious try some years ago which turned most of us off it, but we're all older and wiser now, I hope...

Also THANKS GMT MORE P500 STUFF TO ORDER
>>
>>52039609
I keep a set of Icehouse pyramids around because many of the games for them are so wildly different. (Homeworlds for a space 4X, Alien City for a city-building euro, Pikemen (or many others) for an abstract on a chessboard, Zendo for N-player deduction, etc.)

For a non-standard deck of cards, look up the Decktet. There are six suits, and most of the cards have two of those suits. The deck has a bit more 'structure' than the 52-card French deck due to the fact that not every suit combination occurs with the same frequency. However, I tend to get more use out of my 8-suited deck (Ace through King in each of eight suits), removing some cards if I want to play a game with fewer suits.
>>
>>52033872
Obviously everyone has their own opinions, but I'm actually really interested in yours here. I played this at Gencon and really liked it, so I'd like to hear what criticisms people have of it. I keep hearing that it's dice-based and therefore too luck-centric, but it's... that's exactly what I'm seeing from WM and 40K and every other tabletop minis game.
>>
>>52040554
Why would you compare GKR to WH and WM? They're in completely different leagues, no? GKR is more of a stand alone board game whereas WM and WH are meant to be collectible games. The reason people complain about it being so luck centric is that we have games like Kemet and Scythe that handle combat with a minimal amount of luck. Even Malifaux is less luck based than GKR and that's a collectible type game like WH/WM.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're only comparing it to WH/WM then ya it looks similar but if you move beyond those two examples it's on the heavier end of luck based combat at least as far as games that have come out in the last few years.
>>
Im curious what tg thinks about Robinson crusoe
>>
>>52041371
Personally, I enjoy it. It can be a very challenging co-op, and with the various scenarios it doesn't get stale quickly either.
>>
>>52039609
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZAZm1Zlq8&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>52037095
Not that guy, but I've played a few games of it. It presents you with a lot of interesting choices and a few kinda obvious ones each turn, but in the end you really are just throwing a crapload of dice to resolve most things. If that doesn't bother you I think I think there's a lot of fun to be had with it.
>>
>>52035504
Not many people here really love Cosmic Encounter, but I know there are some good threads on BoardGameGeek on the topic of expansions. I only have one expansion, and I only got it for the extra player, so can't really help there.

If you like them, SU&SD also did a written review on all of the expansions some time ago. It's on their site if you want to give it a read, I remember their verdict being very different to the general opinion on BGG.
>>
>>52043441
I try to watch SU&SD videos now but half of the video is them making dumb jokes, going off on tangents because they're oh so funny and spur of the moment thoughts. And when they do talk about the game, it's usually generic points they make
>>
>>52035504
I'd probably vote for the most recent one, Aeons or whatever. Actually steps up the alien design a bit and the alliance dials generally improve the game.
>>
>>52043648
That's possibly the last one I would recommend, which is sad because of all the additional rules, alliance dials are the second best right below rewards deck. The aliens there are so complicated and convoluted, it's only meant for like the people really in deep on the game.
>>
>>52043740
Totally a valid opinion, I can see the more convoluted aliens being the same kind of game -undermining change that King of New York was for King of Tokyo to a lot of people. I like them, though.
>>
Going to buy a new game today. What do you think:

Battlelore
Assault of the Giants

Also considering Smallworld or Caverna (just started collecting so I don't have a lot of the basic "must haves" yet)
>>
>>52043558
That's why I'm a bit hesitant to point anyone their way. I think for the right people they are good, and I still watch and enjoy a lot of their videos, I just don't expect to know much more about the game after watching them.
>>
>>52034639
Pretty elegant worker placement, but I'll always love Viticulture more.
>>52034730
Do you want to talk about it? I'm serious.
>>52037586
Going "Sorry, but I don't have any good cards in my hand right now!" is a valid strategy in base Saboteur. Or just playing the long game and getting the mine juuuuuust close enough to the gold, then dicking everyone over with a cave-in. It's even more fun when one saboteur does that, then the other saboteurs take the heat off by going "HOOP DE DOOP, IMMA SABOTEUR!!!", but I suspect the people I play Saboteur with take it a bit less seriously than your group. Nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks...
>>
Is the Sons of Anarchy board game any good? It seems really cheap and actually maybe fun so thought I'd ask and see if anyones played it
>>
What're everyone's opinions on New Bedford? Whenever I see a game that dares to sell itself in as small a box as possible, instead of a gigantic padded shelf-devourer, I want to give the designer a medal and buy it out of principle. But also as a realistic reason to buy it, I enjoy worker placement, like when games have solo modes, and do try to stick to games that play in less than 90 minutes - I consider longer to be gratuitous. And all my friends have been raving about it. But I have yet to manage to play it myself.

Is it good? And how is its weight? Complex enough to keep an average medium-gaming Uwe Rosenberg fanboy entertained? Simple enough to teach newbies? Both of these things, neither? Does the rulebook suck? Etc. Thanks.
>>
>>52045110
I've seen literally nothing but good things about it, but then, I don't think anyone who bought it ever had high expectations, so who knows how legit that all is.
>>
File: IMG_5664.jpg (30KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5664.jpg
30KB, 200x200px
Solved my first case correctly in Sherlock Holmes CD: Jack the Ripper

I can't recommend this enough. Can't wait for the newest revision of the original and the potential brand new expansion
>>
>>52031092
I would think you would want the components to be magnetic to some degree like some travel chess sets (or find another way to secure them) since traveling can be a bumpy experience.
>>
File: pamir_s2.jpg (215KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
pamir_s2.jpg
215KB, 640x425px
>>52045124
>Whenever I see a game that dares to sell itself in as small a box as possible, instead of a gigantic padded shelf-devourer, I want to give the designer a medal and buy it out of principle

Fucking Pax Pamir; there's a shitload of game in that tiny ass box.
>>
>>52045735
I can't wait to get paid so I can buy it
>>
>>52045742
That's exactly the conclusion I came to. I think the better solution would be to have the board be metal or have metal underneath and put magnets in the pieces instead of doing it the other way around
>>
File: the arrival board game.jpg (44KB, 740x434px) Image search: [Google]
the arrival board game.jpg
44KB, 740x434px
I'm excited - I just ordered a copy of pic related. Anyone else tried this one yet? It seems like it hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but looks pretty solid game mechanics wise. I couldn't find it any of my use online places (CSI, MM, or Cardhaus) - Funagain had it, but they wanted $87 + $7 shipping. I emailed the folks at the small publisher in Germany directly, and they're sending it to me for $64 including shipping.
>>
Hey guys, what's Forbidden Island like? I've been told it's great co-op fun.
>>
>>52047980

Or forbidden desert
>>
>>52047980
Forbidden desert is the vastly better game, they are very similar and Desert is basically a straight up better game. If you want to play with younger people, I'd agree that Island might fit more but otherwise, no reason as the game is still quite easy.

It's a fairly solid low-level coop game, game ain't extremely difficult but it's quick, easy to understand and accessible. I wouldn't say it's exactly "fun" (it can be if you like seeing a bad situation getting visibly worse) though, it can be quite procedural.
It's a good entry coop game for very casual people and it's always nice to come back to it as it's quick and the various roles keeps it moderately fresh. This for both games, Desert holds up much better.
>>
File: 1480996435486.png (171KB, 190x229px) Image search: [Google]
1480996435486.png
171KB, 190x229px
>>52048360

Might pick it up because it's only 20 dollars in my target right now. Would you be so kind as to recommend other co-op games? What's the best co-op you can think of?
>>
>>52047980
I've explained it this way to people: pretend that you're Indiana Jones and the entire island is the cave trying to kill you.

I think it's a simple, quick, and enjoyable game. If you've played Pandemic then you'll be ahead of the learning curve because they play using the same mechanics.

You have four treasures to collect and then you all have to flee from the helicopter tile to escape. Each treasure has two tiles representing them and so the game revolves around all of you keeping the treasure tiles and the helicopter tile from "sinking into the ocean" while slowly trading cards among each other so that one person can collect enough cards (4) to trade in for a treasure. After you have all of the treasures, everyone has to head back to the helicopter tile to leave.

From my experience, the game starts off fairly tame but then tension rises as more tiles get flipped over and it culminates to a point where either you lose the game or you're able to survive and make it through. After that climax, the tension lessons dramatically because every part of the island that is being threatened, you should have finished with so you can just ignore the half you don't need and watch it sink while you focus on the parts that you need.

Once you recognize that you can ignore half of the island and focus on the half you need, then you're options are reduced and it simplifies the game play so much.

Overall, I like it. It does get tense up to the climax but after that it usually becomes fairly predictable if you're going to win or lose. From there, it becomes a routine process to finish up the game. It's not very heavy and much more forgiving than Pandemic, it's probably a good intro to co-op games
>>
>>52048398
Affordable co-op
Hanabi
The Grizzled

Affordable - semi co-op

The Resistance
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Code Names

Mid Range Co-op:

Pandemic
Murder: Deception in Hong Kong

Expensive Co-op & Semi co-op

Robinson Crusoe
Level 7 Omega Protocol
Gears of War
Capt. Sonar
>>
>>52048645
>team vs team and 1vall are now semi co-op
>>
>>52048398

Forbidden Island is good if your play group is young or just generally inexperienced with board games. It'll probably be a staple of your collection until you get Desert, at which point Island will likely never see play again.

If you want entry-level co-ops that don't take too long to play, Pandemic is an enduring classic from the same designer who made Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. Of course, since you'll have Island, Pandemic will likely feel too familiar.

If customizable card games are your bag, Fantasy Flight has not one but TWO co-op LCGs, both of them very well-received. The old workhorse is Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, which does a great job with its theme and is quite fun to play, and the new hotness is Arkham Horror: The Card Game, which is just flat-out one of the best games I have ever played, co-op or otherwise.

If you want something a bit meatier with possible traitors, Shadows Over Camelot, Dark Moon, and Dead of Winter present solid options, each with their own pros and cons. Robinson Crusoe is a fun one, but is definitely not cheap.

On the extreme end, you have co-op games that are huge elaborate affairs and take hours to play. For pure co-op, Arkham Horror was part of this pantheon until it was unseated by Eldritch Horror. For traitor co-op, the gold standard at this level was and is Battlestar Galactica. Dark Moon and Dead of Winter are both very clearly inspired by Battlestar Galactic, and both attempt to make the game much shorter and much less heavy, but if you want to make game night a real 3-4 hour event and you want traitor co-op, BSG is still the reigning champion.
>>
File: secret hitler.png (701KB, 906x638px) Image search: [Google]
secret hitler.png
701KB, 906x638px
Wanna play Secret Hitler? Join.

https://sechit.herokuapp.com/join/yehwi
>>
Figured I'd mention the Arkham Ritual Kickstarter while it's still up. This game seems to have flown under most online gaming groups' radars, probably because it just advertises its theme (not a well liked one by a lot of people) and that it's a bluffing game (of which there are many).

But if I had to describe it, it's Cockroach Poker meets Hanabi, in rounds and with event cards. It's very clever and packs a lot into a simple design. It's also $9 + free shipping. So that's nice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninjastargames/arkham-ritual
>>
So, I've been playing RimWorld (somewhat streamlined sci-fi Dwarf Fortress-esque game with graphics), and now I'm wondering...

Are there any board games where you micromanage a colony trying to survive in a hostile environment?
>>
File: DSC_0082.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0082.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
Get home and what do I find?
This box is huge and stuffed to the gills with bits.
http://imgur.com/a/WY87h
>>
>>52052395
Received mine today also, but I've cooled on the game between the kickstarter ending and now. Will probably just ebay the damn thing.

My collection already has plenty of games I never play and I have enough worker placement games.

Pity, really.
>>
>>52052411
Yeah, that's understandable.
I'm not even as hype as I was back in the summer or whenever it ran. I'm still excited for it just to round out my collection but my days of jumping on kickstarters are definitly running out.
>>
>>52052481
Honestly, main reason I backed it was because I found Trickerion to be an underrated gem.

On the bright side, it ebays for way more than I paid for it.
>>
File: 1339205638812.jpg (148KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1339205638812.jpg
148KB, 640x800px
>>52048398

Eldritch Horror is fantastic if you enjoy Burgerspielen and want something decently heavy for 3-4 hours of play.
>>
>>52048538
> It's not very heavy and much more forgiving than Pandemic
I don't quite agree. Forbidden Island is more random and has crueler snowball effects compared to Pandemic. (Pandemic is a very deterministic game once you figure out the mechanics, Forbidden Island not so much.)

Forbidden Island is an easier game in the sense that it can be (and usually is) solved without using your role special abilities, while in Pandemic this is impossible. This forces you to use more involved strategies in Pandemic.

Forbidden Island is a more nervous game in general.
>>
>>52052395
>Salvation
>Not Dominance

absolutelydisgusting.jpg
>>
File: campy creatures1.png (493KB, 680x503px) Image search: [Google]
campy creatures1.png
493KB, 680x503px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures

In just a few hours this game will be funded!
>>
>>52055553
Finally, then you can stop shilling it.
>>
>>52055628
Hahaha oh no boy. Then the real fun begins.
>>
>>52055728
just out of curiosity why are you so excited about this game? it's been done dozens of times. is the theme really that appealing to you?
>>
>>52055553
>In just a few hours this game will be funded!
Out of all the shilled games here this was the slowest I think. Which is a silver lining I suppose.
>>
File: rising sun.jpg (230KB, 1678x1320px) Image search: [Google]
rising sun.jpg
230KB, 1678x1320px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858cYONO4fQ

The Kickstarter campaign starts today. What do you think, guys? Are you considering backing it? Will this kick ass or is it just another plastic pusher?
>>
>>52055977
it looks like a way better version of blood rage, but i fucking hated blood rage so I'm certainly not paying 100 dollars for it
>>
>>52055901
It's just a really fun game. Not sure why it's so appealing to me. It plays quick, I love the theme and artwork. Just a nice little game.

>>52055961
They reached their goal in a day. I meant in a couple hours the campaign is over and they will be officially funded.
>>
>>52056001
ya but it's a carbon copy of a bunch of fun games. have you never played one of them? I'm trying to understand how someone could get so excited about a game that contains zero original ideas, event the monsters are copied from other sources. are you just young enough that you haven't really experienced enough to recognize originality and blatant, lazy copying? I'm legitimately interested in your answer as i am absolutely baffled that someone would go out of their way to be excited about this.
>>
>>52056029
No for me that's the first game of this kind. Whether the ideas are original or not, I love the gameplay and theme. I can't say if it does certain things better or worse than other game because as I said that's a first for me.
I was missing a filler game in my collection. This one appeals to me, it's quick and fun, all my friends like it, and it's fairly cheap.
>>
>>52056049
>for me thats the first of its kind
so you clearly don't play many board games which means you probably don't hang out on many board game forums which means you really have just been coming here to shill for the duration of the ks. interesting that once you start talking about this game another shill for rising sun shows up.

sure activates the almonds
>>
>>52056067
I fail to see how you can deduce any of that from what I said. Just because I usually don't play filler gamer doesn't mean I don't play many board game in general. My groups usually play longer/heavier games.
And what do some forums have anything to do with anything? I don't need to be a member of some forum or club to enjoy tons of board games. If that's how you choose to distinguish yourself, be my guest, but don't expect others who enjoy the hobby to enjoy it in the exact same way you do.
>>
>>52055977
>Kickstarter
Just stop, we already have enough games.
>>
File: empires of the void 2.png (1MB, 716x1220px) Image search: [Google]
empires of the void 2.png
1MB, 716x1220px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii/

Since everyone seems to love discussing Kickstarter games let's talk about this one. Really awesome, improves the old version in every way!
>>
File: r28345702897452.png (2MB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
r28345702897452.png
2MB, 680x510px
>>52056118
>>52056049
>>52056001
>>52055977
>>52055553

aloud i consider: of which faith is he who makes such declarations?
>>
What are some interesting and unusual rules you have come across in board games you have played?
I saw one I haven't seen before in a dominion-like game where people have private cards that nobody else could buy.
>>
>>52056190
there are deck builders like dominion that also include a board for area control
>>
>>52056190
theres a game called kama sutra that requires players to dry hump each other. never seen that before
>>
File: 1488334223103.png (274KB, 331x278px) Image search: [Google]
1488334223103.png
274KB, 331x278px
Why the fuck did they take the art direction for Dinosaur Island the way they did? So dumb looking
>>
>>52056414
>unoriginal idea
>uninspired mechanics
>just like the rest of the games by those fuckers
what did you actually expect?
>>
>>52056433
I dunno. With how much people seem to be shilling it for them I expected something a little original that wasnt original because they forgot to match the art and theme
>>
>>52056152
Really tempted by this, haven't actually looked into gameplay but I like the theme and general idea behind it. Unfortunately I'm put off by the fact that most of Lauket/Locket's previous work is shallow dice rollers.
>>
>>52056330

Oh joy, the degeneracy creep into board games continues.
>>
File: bonedweare.png (176KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bonedweare.png
176KB, 550x512px
>>52056545
>>
File: 1488714254204.png (395KB, 719x771px) Image search: [Google]
1488714254204.png
395KB, 719x771px
>>52056545
>A funny party game is what anon considers board game degenercy

How about all the Jewish kickstarter tactics and clear fanboyism and shilling.
>>
>>52056472
>>52056414
It's another kickstarter round of "Le show I watched as a kid in the 80's, the boardgame!"

The art is a perfect match.
>>
File: 61136236_p0_master1200.jpg (149KB, 462x526px) Image search: [Google]
61136236_p0_master1200.jpg
149KB, 462x526px
>>52056595
But it's based off of jurassic park

Which looks nothing like that

(But dont tell BGG or reddit or they'll call you an evil dry and drab eurogaymer)
>>
>>52056580
>buzzword

And yes, the other stuff is pretty bad too.
>>
>>52056669
>But it's based off of jurassic park
No it's not, they're too cheap to buy licensed Jurassic Park IP. It's a mish-mash of 80's cartoon stuff with a dinosaur theme, but just enough similarities with Jurassic Park to get some of that audience too.
>>
>>52056768
of course they don't have the license but the whole project is quite obviously Jurassic Park: The Board Game. have you even looked at the kickstarter? you find dino dna to put dinosaurs in a theme park and hope they don't break out and kill guests. the logo straight rips off the logo from the park in the movie. do you really not see this or are you just trolling super hardcore?
>>
>>52056768
>80's cartoon stuff
So it's trash mean to appeal to manchildren?
>>
>>52056796
> So it's trash mean to appeal to manchildren?
Yes, this was never a secret.

>>52056768
> do you really not see this or are you just trolling super hardcore?
They can't make it too obvious or they'll infringe on Jurassic Park IP, so they based it off an imagined fake cartoon instead. Nobody remembers the concrete specifics of cartoons they watched as a kid anyways, there might really have been a dinosaur island cartoon for all I know.
>>
>>52056580
>>A funny party game (funny that is if you never graduated high-school and/or ever got laid)
>> is what anon considers board game degenercy

So Anon, we can't wait to hear about all your 'high-brow' play-through's of Exploding Kittens.
>>
File: IMG_1754.jpg (125KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1754.jpg
125KB, 480x480px
>>52053761
>Burgerspielen
>>
>>52057781
It's a dexterity game not a boardgame anon :^)

Shouldn't even be considered on the sane level as exploding kittens as a result. You wouldn't compare flick em up to fucking scythe
>>
>>52057811
I'm going to use it in place of Ameritrash from now on.
>>
>>52056190
Nightfall has this, they call it private archives. That said its chaining mechanic is pretty unique too.

Haven't played it but I like the combat mechanic of Cry Havoc.

The card combat system of StarCraft is pretty unique (and strategic too).
>>
Has any of you already DIY'ed games?
Onitama dude here, I'm thinking about making the board pieces. One in each type of wood and the color should be different. Do you know woods that are easier to carve using adequate carving equipment?
>>
>>52029769
I absolutely love descent 2nd ed, I've got most of the expansions for it and here is what I recommend.
There is an app called like Road to Legend made by ffg that makes an absolutely amazing coop experience for the game. If you are using that there is almost no reason to get any of the small lieutenant packs at all. While it's nice to have some of the minis for the bad guys, you will be basically buying minis for 10-15 bucks and the cards will be useless if you play coop.
If you play the game the regular style, get whatever lieutenants your regular Overlord likes.
Other than that, just get the expansions starting with Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall.
I've found the game gets stale fast if you don't have 1-2+ expansions to add more monsters, heroes, and classes. So take that into account if you buy.
>>
>>52012046
>What have you been playing recently?
IA, Arkham Horror Card Game, Eldritch Horror, Doomtown, and Netrunner.
>What games are at the top of your wishlist?
Idk, I just spent like 800 dollars on a bunch of games so I'm a bit burnt out rn.
A card game, but it started with me and 3 other dudes working on it, and then they all bailed and I kept going for a bit, then gave up bc it was just too much for one person.
>>
Does anybody know where I could order the new version of Element? Most of the usual places don't seem to have it available at all.
>>
What are some good games that play in under 15 minutes? Love Letter, Coup, Spyfall and Uno are the first things that come to mind.
>>
>>52060407
You might email the publisher directly and ask who the supplier is for your area. You might even get lucky and find out that the publisher will ship directly to you.
>>
>>52060478
Hanabi plays fairly quickly.
>>
>>52060478
Tsuro and Blokus
>>
>>52060478
Rhino Hero, Pingo Pingo, Fuse/Escape/Space Alert, The Duke, Red7, Star Realms, Sushi Go, Can't Stop, Looney Quest........
>>
>>52059571
>Nightfall
That's the game I was playing. The chaining seemed pretty similar to uno.
>>
I think rising sun has broken kickstarter
>>
>>52062369
I got to the page and saw it already had like 60+ backers in less then a few minutes, but there were no details or anything. Then the link broke.
>>
>>52060315
I have just taken a look at the RtL app. Is is supposed to only offer 3-4 campaigns? Do you get access to more as you play/add expansions?
>>
>>52062369
>>52062429
Jesus it got funded in about half an hour. This is just hype isn't it?
>>
>>52062369
Minis look really sweet but preview vid makes it look like a $20 game with $80 minis
>>
>>52060478
Mint Works
Red7
Tsuro
Lost Legacy
Mafia de Cuba
Tides of Time
>>
>>52063024
Man between this and Blood Rage I feel as though I might as well start playing War Games proper.
>>
File: pic3310486.jpg (59KB, 610x250px) Image search: [Google]
pic3310486.jpg
59KB, 610x250px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mIRTxhjqw

New hidden movement game.

I hope they'll get it right this time.
>>
>>52063283
What's a hidden-movement game?
>>
>>52063024

This so much. The game looked nothing special in the preview video but people are eating it up.

I bet it will be another one of those good but not great Eric Lang games.
>>
>>52024501

>stoneage

fuck off please.
>>
With my gf, we thought Pandemic Cthulhu was too easy so we wanted to see what the difficult setting did and removed 1 card of each color.
Well shit man, a couple of early throws ruined our characters' sanity and the game raped us. Barely sealed off one portal before we lost everything, things went a little too fast for us.

And to think there's the Heroic setting. *shudders*
>>
>>52063383
That's the first time I've seen stone age strongly rejected, can I ask why?
>>
>>52055977
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858cYONO4fQ [Remove]

oh shittttue

i thhink i want this but i also think im spending too much on games. is this game gonna be amazing or nah?
>>
>>52063662
probably average unless you have a boner for miniatures.
>>
>>52056067

Late to the party, but:

>one of the most hotly anticipated Kickstarter right now
>by acclaimed designer Eric Lang
>by Cool Mini or Not, whose projects consistently garner thousands of backers
>must be a shill
>>
>>52055977
do you guys think that this will be less than 100 when it officially is released? i mean the ks exclusive stuff is not that important to me so im thinking of just waiting for it to come out and then cop if its gonna save me some mulah
>>
>>52051713 here.
Anybody?
>>
>>52062900
>Jesus it got funded in about half an hour. This is just hype isn't it?

Unless there have been half a dozen or more highly positive critical reviews, then yeah... It's all CMoN hype for more plastic minis. I like some of their stuff, but I get why people hate the exclusives. And I sure would buy into something until I knew it was a 'good game with minis added' as opposed to 'we have some minis, let's throw together a game concept in order to sell the minis.'
>>
ALRIGHT WHO ELSE INSTABACKED RISING SUN!?

Waiting until fucking April 2018 is gonna suck though. Why didn't they already start production of like 5000 units a couple months ago? Even that would be playing it safe because they knew hype was huge and people would jump on it like crazy. Now we gotta wait for over a year ffs.
>>
>>52063841
you forgot
>conveniently arrives within an hour of three other mentions of ks games

don't be a fool anon, learn to read between the lines
>>
Where do you even find out what games are on Kickstarter right now? Is there a list somewhere so I can go through and see what's worth funding?
>>
>>52064101
go to kickstarter and under categories go to games then go to tabletop games then list by date or whatever
>>
File: 1488455435963.png (200KB, 575x526px) Image search: [Google]
1488455435963.png
200KB, 575x526px
>rising sun kickstarter finally out so finally look at the game
>Literally nothing original about it
>Bloated with a bunch of shit to make it cost more money
>Has nothing to do with actual fuedal japan politics outside of some of the art

Fuck you fuckers for even mentioning this game and getting me slightly excited. Guess I'll just buy shogun and live with that as muh japan romp around game.

Also what kind of fucking shogun would want to become the emperor? The emperor was basicly a useless cunt as far as I'm aware that got stepped on by shoguns because they were much stronger
>>
>>52064244
>quality, immersive game
>same guy who did blood rage
sounds like you're the fucker for not thinking deeply before getting your hopes up
>>
>>52063879
I'd go that route if it was me in that position
>>
>>52064418
I think you're right anon. I don't really know what I expected from meme designer lang.

I haven't played blood rage though, doesn't appeal too me in any way for stepping too far in the other direction. The worst part is. The game could have been easily fixed and made much more themeatic but it's clear they didn't because it would take a bit more time to learn and they wouldn't want the braindead kickstarter crowd to own a game they actually have to put thought into playing
>>
>>52064518
the whole formula is
>meme-tastic setting
>overproduced models
>a bunch of awesome mechanics stripped down to boring bear bones so casuals feel like they're playing something complex
>hype
and they make so much money it would actually be stupid of them to stop
>>
>>52064701
also forgot
>ks exclusives, you literally cannot wait to give us your shekels
>>
>>52064081

I agree that the other Kickstarter posts were shills, I just find it doubtful that a company with a license to print money like CMoN needs to shill their game on /tg/.
>>
>>52064734
if they have that much money why wouldn't they shill everywhere? your logic is basically nonexistent, but thanks for bumping the thread anyway
>>
>>52064101

There's a useful weekly roundup on reddit every Sunday that details notable projects created within the last 7 days, or ending in the next 7 days. Here's the most recent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5xmaop/kickstarter_roundup_mar_5_2017_28_ending_soon/
>>
>>52064734
Why not, plant the seeds of shill and then /tg/ continue to do it for you. Same as bgg and reddit
>>
>>52060478
>>52063099
>>52060524
>>52060854
>>52060767

Thanks for the replies. I'm the one who posed that question, but I need to refine my criteria further. 15 minutes is a must, but I'm also looking for
-minimal setup
-minimal components
-Small box or easy to condense in a portable container
-At least 4 players

It's for non-gamers just looking to kill some time during our lunch break. Thanks again for the suggestions.
>>
>>52064968
I'd narrow what I gave you down to Red7, Fuse, Rhino Hero, or Sushi Go. I'd add Hanabi/Diamonds if you had 20+ minutes, since those can be played shorter, but with non-gamers it'd be hard to fit them in that time frame.
>>
>>52064968
In that case, you might look at some of the simple 'push your luck' dice games like 'Zombie Dice' that can play fairly quickly too.
>>
>>52064968
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a smol game

Could always buy a hanafuda deck too if you wanted to learn old japanese games
>>
>>52064968
Tsuro fits all of your criteria except for small box. Also check out Mars Attacks
>>
>>52064968
Race for the Galaxy fits all those requirements.

Although this is a game that requires thought, if your non-gamers are used to things like chess they'll do fine, if not then get something braindead instead.
>>
File: peasantthoughts.jpg (18KB, 260x524px) Image search: [Google]
peasantthoughts.jpg
18KB, 260x524px
Hey /bgg/, question: if you were going to plunk down $50 to possibly $100 for a fine dungeon-crawling board game that you would both play as it is and use the plastic porn, tokens, markers, and maybe tiles for D&D games, which one would it be?

One's I'm looking at right now are:
>Descent
>Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest
>One of the D&D Board games

I'm leaning towards Dwarf King's Quest because you get quiet a bit of furniture/scenery like some nice doors, chests, bookshelves, etc. but I've read in reviews that the minis are kind of poor quality (which is bogus coming from Mantic Games.)

What say you?
>>
>>52060854
In my experience Sushi Go is more like 25-30.
>>
>>52063328
A game where one player moves around the board and the other players try to find that one player. There are different ways to do it, including multiple boards.
>>
>>52065831
Whenever we pull it out we treat it more say Spyfall, where we don't play to a set point total or number of rounds, but just play a few times til bored.
>>
>>52065508
Did you miss the part about '15 minutes is a must'? When has anyone really played a full game of Race for the Galaxy in 15 minutes?!?
>>
File: museumcaper91.jpg (795KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
museumcaper91.jpg
795KB, 3072x2304px
>>52065852
Used to have one of those games when I was a kid based off Clue called Museum Caper. Was the coolest fucking game ever and I loved it.

Anyone ever played it?
>>
>>52063328
This anon's explaination is good >>52065852, but if you'd like an example of a game of this type, then check out 'Specter Ops' - Rodney Smith has a nice play through video of it on Youtube.
>>
>>52065826
bumparino
come on fuckers this is right up your alley
>>
File: 5246566.jpg (765KB, 1024x1152px) Image search: [Google]
5246566.jpg
765KB, 1024x1152px
>WHICH GAME WILL END UP MAKING MORE KICKSTARTER MONEY?

>Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5
>Rising Sun

http://www.strawpoll.me/12485105
>>
>>52063662

If it is anything like Blood Rage, it will be an alright game that is overproduced.
>>
File: wierded out.gif (377KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
wierded out.gif
377KB, 200x183px
>>52065991
I'm just gonna assume you're joking and move on.
>>
>>52064968

Check Skull and For Sale. Non-gamers will love you for it.
>>
>>52065989
I've really wanted to get the castle Ravenloft game if that sways you at all
>>
>>52065826

I would rather get a better game in Level 7 Omega Protocol. Instead of D&D, you could use it to play a Sci Fi campaign with the components.

If you are dead set on D&D, then I would recommend waiting for Sword and Sorcery to hit the retail.
>>
>>52065826
I'd go back in time and preorder gloomhaven
>>
>>52066102

Correct me if I am wrong but Gloomhaven does not have plastic minis that could be used for D&D
>>
>>52066142

You're wrong, it does (though only for playable characters, not mobs)
>>
>>52066174
Yes I know there are better games, but my group mainly plays D&D with the occasional board game on the side, and they aren't the most patient with learning more complicated shit like Descent or spending 5 hours in a board game.

The minis in the D&D sets are pretty nice and the games usually have a shitload of tokens. They're also $50 which is about $15-$20 cheaper than the other two, but the tiles are kind of weak and wouldn't look too good on a battlemat.

Descent and Dungeon Saga have lots of good pieces all around but cost a bit more.
>>
File: Money-PNG.png (3MB, 1617x1625px) Image search: [Google]
Money-PNG.png
3MB, 1617x1625px
Guys what's your monthly/annual board game budget?

I try to never go above 100/month. If I do I have to save money later on during other months.
>>
File: pic2308707.jpg (252KB, 728x804px) Image search: [Google]
pic2308707.jpg
252KB, 728x804px
>>52065826
Don't listen to me, I'm only gonna shill for Super Dungeon Explore. You'll get a buttload of minis but it sucks you in to buy even more minis after with expansion packs. Second Edition is coming out soon and it'll give you most of the basic tropes for your DnD hero needs, plus some Kobolds and a dragon. You got a human knight, an elf ranger, a dwarven berserker and even a booby lady magician. They're all chibi anime-style so use that information as an advantage or a disadvantage based on your preferences, but pretty solid quality and art (for that style of art anyway). Tiles are just 12x12 grids with some terrain stuff on them. You get a lot of tokens though.

I'm told Wrath of Ashardalon amongst the DnD board games best translates to what you're looking for.

Just get Descent.
>>
>>52066454
I've heard good things about this game and really want to check it out.

Descent does have some great minis, similar to Ashardalon but I think the heroes are much cooler in Descent.
>>
>>52066363
Well, I have both the blessing and the curse of living in a small town with only a few buddies who would even bother to play board games with me, so I do a lot more browsing and reading about them than I do actually buying.

With how crazy they're getting these days, though, I'm kind of happy about that. It's a lot more fun to watch everyone get all hyped up about the latest kickstarter fad and drop hundreds of dollars on a generic turd than to do it yourself!
>>
File: SDE Map.jpg (275KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
SDE Map.jpg
275KB, 620x412px
>>52066745
Well, there's as much strategy for the DM as there is for the players since each creature has their own set of abilities and special effects, one time I was controlling these mushrooms and the 2x2 one had a windmill attack while the other had a knockback attack so I pushed one of the heroes into the correct position with the small unit, then moved the big unit in to smack three all three heroes. That was fun. Dice chucking gets a little tedious but yes, there is some tactics, enough for me to experience this elusive thing known as "fun".

The main problem I see as a consumer is that they're really trying their best to suck you into their product and keep you there. They ambitiously created a world map in pic related which involves like ten sets of "level boxes" of map tiles, heroes and monsters. Each set so far runs about 60~90 dollars. Second Edition of the basic set covers region 2, and goes for 60 bucks. Forgotten King covers region 7 and is about 65 bucks depending on where and when you get it. Von Drakk manor (region 5) is up and between the level tiles and the level box between the two they eat up 70~80 bucks. Region 3 so far seems to be kickstarter exclusive, so I hope you get the drift. You're only getting a selected themed experience unless you're willing to pay more than you did for Kingdom Death: Monster.

Also, I really have to suggest building a campaign/story/narrative to keep you and your players invested or else it's like the grindiest dungeon grind. Doesn't even have to be freeform like DnD, just give them a reason why this midboss popped up and why he wants to kill you and why you should attempt to kill him.
>>
>>52066363
Mine is probably a 100 every 3 months, probably less since I'm not buying as many games besides Netrunner packs recently. Reeeally tempted to get a 2nd hand copy of Devastation of Indines somebody is selling though, but I already spent a decent amount the Worlds of Android and Investigators of Arkham Horror books, plus there's the incoming Netrunner and AHTCG expansions as well. Hopefully he still has it in May/June.
>>
>>52067023
Jesus, sounds like this is the first horrible iteration of board games catching up with video-game-level DLC shit.

I'm sure plenty of you on here are familiar with the video game scene, but if you're not, trust me that you don't want your board games to pursue the market goal of being an infinite revenue stream.

I guess companies like GW already do that, though, and Wizards to a lesser extent. Those are kind of "collectible" games, with others blurring the line like the Wizkids clix shit and D&D's booster packs but...

no sir I don't like it. A board game should be sold as a complete experience and expansions should add to it, not fix it. This is exactly what happens with vidya - the games are kickstarted and sold in Early Access, then when a flawed product comes out, DLC is shoved that improves the game and adds the missing content that should've been there in the first place. It's evil.
>>
>>52067792
I certainly agree with you there, but SDE feels enough like those "collectible" games enough to make me want to get into the series (which is why I have). Each set IS a complete experience, you CAN play a level box you bought for 60-70 dollars without the need for additional levels, I'm sorry if my previous description gave you the wrong idea.

The only thing I am both impressed/disgusted by is that they've created a lore and a world that gives them a format and excuse to keep churning out new levels. And you don't need to buy the second edition if you own the first one, you just need to update the character cards and rules sheets, all of which can be found online. Once again, each of these levels is a stand alone, you can play them on their own, but if you want to tell a world-spanning story, you'd of course be rewarded by being a loyal customer and shelling out for more expansions.

So I'd liken them more to how Magic can keep churning out products since they'll always visit a new plane as long as they can design new and interesting mechanics. If you like their game and flavour you can keep throwing money at them even if you do so begrudgingly.
>>
>>52024802
>Milennium Blades
I love this game so much. The expansion came in for me and I've only gotten one chance to play it since. Some of the guest artist cards are great.
>>
>>52068049
>And you don't need to buy the second edition if you own the first one, you just need to update the character cards and rules sheets, all of which can be found online.
I've got 1st ed, you kinda do need Forgotten King, at least if you want to play it with the fully co-op mode, since the upgrade pack doesn't include the AI cards. Used to semi-shill the game when people'd ask about dungeon crawls in /bgg/ a couple years back, though that might just be due to spending the better part of a year getting it painted with my shaky hands and 0 skill.

First time I got to play was the Von Drakk monsters in 1.0 rules against the lead designer. Took about 2.5hrs for a 3 player game since we were all new to it, and gave me lots of time to chat him up. Guy was maybe the nicest person I've met in a couple decades of gaming, and when I asked him about the SodaPop/CMoN split and whether it really was over kickstarter stuff he went on a pretty good rant. Yeah they're gonna bilk you outta loads of money, if you buy the entire series, and it is somewhat designed to suck you in, but that's because it's what he wanted to build for his friends. Guy was a minis gamer (hence the 1e set needing assembly/glue) and dm for his 3.5 group, and they said let's build a board game version of this, with hookers and drugs, and gambling, and booze.

That last part might be from Bachelor Party, but point still stands. Hell they let you buy the kickstarter edition of their games way after the fact in their store, nothing is "exclusive" ever, and when they decided to do a revision, it was because they wanted better minis (without assembly for the board game crowd) and because he felt like he could do the rules less sloppy.

tldr: SDE is a money pit, but the guys who make it are total bros, and so while I won't be buying it all, I don't mind buying an expensive box of it every other year.
>>
File: st dicegame.jpg (270KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
st dicegame.jpg
270KB, 1024x768px
>golden geek awards out
>Star Trek: The Dice Game wins pnp of the year
>solo dice placement
Any anons played this yet?
>>
>>52068997
I haven't, but I like Star Trek, and it looks like it could be a fun thing to leave set up and play a little bit of at a time throughout the day.
>>
>>52069050
Some of the pnp winners have been pretty solid. Enjoyed the hell outta Dune:The Dice Must Flow, but never got a copy before the Herbert estate ripped it off the crafter's store. Gonna see if I can't cobble together a quick version of this on Friday and report back if it's worth the time.
>>
>>52066363
I try to budget myself to ~$60 per paycheck. I'm torn because there's a lot of games I'd like to get but none of my friends play board games so there's no point but I can't help myself. I've started buying x-wing ships because I think they look cool and I'd love to find people to play with one day
>>
>>52069293
>I'd love to find people to play with one day
HotAC and Mario Kart anon, best ways I've found to get my non-gamer friends interested. Either that or go find a local tourney and make friends there, scene is huge and 99% of the players are pretty cool.
>>
>>52065934
If it takes more than 15 minutes to play Race then you need to read the rules again.

Race for the Galaxy has a strict time limit. There's never more than 15 turns in a game, and each player does their turn simultaneously. 1 minute per turn is more than enough even if you're slow as a turtle.
>>
>>52067792
> A board game should be sold as a complete experience and expansions should add to it, not fix it.
Jus stop playing Amerishit. It's unfixable and the rest of the world has already moved on to better games.
>>
>>52069321
I've been trying to get things ready so I can try the Mario Kart variant with my friends. The nearest LGS is an hour away so I'm gonna try to go up one weekend and give things a shot
>>
>>52064518
>I don't really know what I expected from meme designer lang.
How was CitOW so good I just don't get it.
>>
>>52071246
the reminder of what games workshop will do to you if they feel you have failed them is great motivation?
>>
>>52071246
To be honest I feel alot of the stuff in CitOW was by luck and not by purposeful design
>>
>>52068997
I've been trying out Deep Space D-6 pnp from an anon here. It looks like it's really similar to this game
>>
File: pic2324525.jpg (168KB, 472x800px) Image search: [Google]
pic2324525.jpg
168KB, 472x800px
Question. I recently am finding myself on a GotG kick, which is strange bc I don't really care for superheroes. I love the legendary games and have alien and firefly. I think o read they are interchangeable. So the question is can pic related be integrated with the sets of legendary I have? Thematically I think it would work as well, I'm just not sure mechanically.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>52069591
Pretty sure no game in works expects you to take 60 seconds on your turn, mate. That's just unreasonable. Not to mention all the resolving actions once people have decided what to do, which takes ages.
What I'm gathering from this is that you've never played RftG in real life, just on BGA.
>>
>>52068997
Well, it openly admits to just being a Deep Space D-6 reskin, so yeah. I've played the original. It's okay.
>>
>>52073200
>okay
On a scale of Exploding Kittens to Shut up and take my money! where does okay fall?
>>
>>52073248
Worth the money to have the nice Kickstarter version, great aesthetic, but rather repetitive gameplay and it's way too easy. It's not something I would have bothered PnP'ing, either - adding the tedium of translating numbers on the dice instead of just having the symbols there would have been an instant drop.
It is fun enough.
I haven't played it since One Deck Dungeon came out, though, because that's also a game where you assign dice to yourself to beat cards, but way, way better.
>>
>>52073192
>Not to mention all the resolving actions once people have decided what to do, which takes ages.
Resolving actions doesn't take "ages", it's an automatic and very quick process. (Place a card or take a few VP chips usually.)

>What I'm gathering from this is that you've never played RftG in real life, just on BGA.
I play a lot of RftG in real life, mate. Caveat -- I play two-player with a smart person and not random dumbasses. The mechanical parts of playing RftG (drawing cards, discarding, playing something to your tableau) are really quick. It's not like Dominion where you're incessantly shuffling or some worker placement games where you're pushing fiddly cubes or waiting for the next player to wake up.

RftG might be slow if you take a long time to think, but that's your own problem, not a problem with game mechanics.
>>
rftg elitists are the worst
>>
>>52073562
Tell me about it.
>>
>>52073562
> elitists
Do you even know what this word means?
>>
>>52073635
Just shut it man, nobody agrees with you.
>>
>>52073562
I can see where the guy is coming from to be honest. You can play the unofficial RftG computer game pretty quickly, <15 minutes is about right. Everything's automated there though, and the attitude definitely isn't changing anyone's opinion.
>>
File: godzilla.jpg (709KB, 1024x2128px) Image search: [Google]
godzilla.jpg
709KB, 1024x2128px
Just backed Rising Sun for this alone.
>>
>>52073732
The average game of RftG on boardgamearena is 6 minutes. You can double that if you're pushing real-life cardboard for a realistic estimate.

RftG occupies a sweet spot: it's got the minimal components and simple rules of a filler game with the tactical/strategic depth and replayability of a 'serious' euro. There's nothing quite like it on the market right now.

(Maybe Bohnanza, but Bohanaza requires at least 3 people and takes much longer to play, a bit under an hour.)
>>
>>52073859
A pretty picture?
>>
I would back rising sun if blood rage wasn't so boring
>>
>>52073417
>I play a lot of RftG in real life, mate. Caveat -- I play two-player with a smart person and not random dumbasses. The mechanical parts of playing RftG (drawing cards, discarding, playing something to your tableau) are really quick. It's not like Dominion where you're incessantly shuffling or some worker placement games where you're pushing fiddly cubes or waiting for the next player to wake up.

For an Anon claiming to be smart enough to play 1 minute turns in RftG - you sure weren't smart enough to read the original Anon's question very carefully. The original Anon pointed out that they WERE playing with random co-workers and NOT veteran RftG players who know the rules and every tile option like the back of their hand. Said Anon also never stated that they were gaming with only one other person. Both of those conditions blow your bullshit 'special snowflake' scenario answer right out of the water. Trying to pawn off your bullshit answer on 'analysis paralysis' is still nothing more than you getting called out and then trying to back-peddle.
>>
>>52074213
I think he just wanted to show bgg how cool and smart he is
>>
>>52074213
>For an Anon claiming to be smart enough to play 1 minute turns in RftG
Smarts has nothing to do with anything. RftG is a game with extremely simple rules and minimal components, after 5 plays everything is automatic. It's basically nothing but a deck of cards.

If his coworkers are used to games that require thinking (like chess) then RftG will hit the exact sweet spot. It's the perfect mix of simple rules, easy setup and infinite replayability.

If his coworkers never played anything deeper than monopoly and poker then they should play some sort of party filler game instead.

Why are you so salty? Jelly of eurogamers who don't need to buy 15 pounds of plastic for $500 to have fun?
>>
>GKR:HR posts a new add-on
>It's all just a ton more plastic chrome with virtually no additional rules content
>For $45
I swear if these guys had just written the rules inhouse they probably could have done better than recruiting crypto.
>>
>>52075689
>roll 2 d6 to see if you do damage

Who could have guessed that this game would be shit?
>>
>>52075855
2d6 is at least better than rolling one d6 right...
>>
>>52075855
>roll 2d6 to see if you hit
>then roll a d6 for each point of damage to see how much is negated
All they have to do is come up with better combat resolution than this tripe and the game is instantly half as cancerous as it is now.

>>52076060
There's an actual curve to results, so it's marginally better.
>>
>>52076202
We're not entirely retarded in here, right?
Can we fix it?
>>
>>52076323
>>52076202
Mythic Battles does it fairly well, but I know talking positively about it here gets one into hot water.
>>
>>52076323
I've been using a semi-dice-replacement variant for HoN that's gone pretty well so far, but I don't think I can copy-paste it in here. I'll think about it. And that one doesn't entirely eliminate RNG anyways.

>>52076657
MB has a vaguely interesting system, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't actually add any interesting decisions. You roll and discard the hopeless dice to boost the close dice. There's no actual risk/reward to boosting a 4 that won't hit with a 2 that won't hit in order to get an exploding die that might hit because you're not losing any potential hits by giving those up. It just looks like a simple flowchart to follow.
>>
>>52077119
>HoN variant
Clue me in, tripfriend
>>
>>52077585
Nothing too special, really.
Each player gets hand of 1-6 of a suite of playing cards, and whenever you would make an attack roll (1d6+bonus vs target defense) you must pick one of your cards to play facedown as a die surrogate, so long as you still have cards in your hand. Hand refills at start of round.
After you pick a card, the opponent has the option of accepting the card, revealing it and resolving the attack as though the die had rolled that number. Three times per round he can ignore the card and force you to roll normally. Any attacks made in a round after the first six have no card and are just resolved via die.

It's simple, doesn't mess with any other game systems, retains unpredictability while passing a significant amount of outcome responsibility to player choices. It's worked well so far.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.