[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 30

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Armor Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>52026767
>>
>>52031717
Where can I find the Icewind Dale Trilogy in pdf format? I am from Argentina so it is virtually impossible for me to buy the physical copy.
>>
I'm almost through with the rough draft for my fighter makeover, but i'm always looking for ideas. How would you like to improve the fighter class?
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
DM is a bit of a sploosh, and if I were to point out just one flaw of his style, is how he likes to screw some players over the munchkins

How childish would it be to just start forgoing role playing, and start abusing his campaign with the use of bully spells like Legend Lore and Mass Suggestion?
>>
>>52031917
Get rid of resource management and focus on at-will consistent power, as opposed to casters' limited bursts.

Champion should get passive boosts. BM can take a few pages from the playtest fighter.
>>
>>52031917
Does Fighter need a makeover?

I'd like to see Champion buffed without compromising it as the retard martial though.
>>
>start a new campaign
>make a paladin
>roll stats and buff them, variant human
>19 str 17 con 18 cha, fuck yeah
>pick GWM
>pick vengeance
>hellyeahletsrock.jpg
>proceed to get dropped in literally every combat
>always go last because zero dex
>didn't really count, but the amount of hits taken feels like 17 ac is nothing
>hp burns crazy fast, have to spend lay on hands on myself to last more than two rounds and then still fucking drop
>channel is fucking useless because 1/day, and boss-types are either immune or succeed on their save
>three smites per fucking day, and two are spent on a buff so I don't get dropped first round
>the most damage on a smite was 7, fucking nothing on a 200 hp boss

Have I been tricked, /5eg/? Are paladins a meme? When will shit become good? I mean holy hell, but I was above zero hp longer even when I played obvious casters and was deliberately focused by savvy enemies.
>>
>>52031869
or Forgotten Realms books in general. I want to get familiar with the world before I run a campaing there.
>>
>>52031895
That's what a strawman is.
>Take a quote out of context
'Okay, you're retarded'

It's a case of not liking thing and explaining why I don't like thing.

Firstly, what the fuck is '2 times a short rest for a minute'? When you can use it that frequently, just make it always-on. Don't even try to pretend it's some sort of resource. Sure, you can easily have more than two combats before a short rest, it just means you might not be using it that one time you have a solo encounter against an imp.

>You gain more AC
This is the bad way to approach 'I want this caster to be good in melee!'. As in, 'I'll just make them generally more tanky.'
You might as well go bladesinger solely for the AC and not because of the other stuff. Any wizard can already use GFB/BB anyway.
>More speed, advantage on concentration checks
Yeah, sure, this is more reasonable, though it stacks on top of the AC problem in a way. Also, do you need to give them that AC crutch when they could just take mobile, walk up to an enemy, attack them and then run 50ft or however much speed is left (Or even more if they have haste)?

>Extra attack
Great, so instead of 2d8+DEX+Extra effect (or 3d8+DEX level 11-13) you can do 3d6+2xDEX with a bonus action and action.

>Song of defense
Actually not a bad feature idea, I suppose, for when you don't have shield or as an emergency. But it's kinda trampling on abjuration wizard.

>Song of victory
'Do more damage, make extra attack more viable': the ability. Lame.
>>
>>52031945
>Get rid of resource management and focus on at-will consistent power, as opposed to casters' limited bursts.
CHAMPION ALREADY EXISTS, THREABOO SHIT
>>
>>52031945
Do the opposite of this. The basic fighter chassis is already a good at-will basis. What fighters need is the ability to do more unique tricks that affect how the game is played round to round.
>>
anyone here play with the Incarnate: Last of the Lacers sourcebook? My group is interested in Avatar, but looking at the book the stuff seems sorta weak. Does it work well during play at least?
>>
>>52031983
>>52031895
So, I'm also kind of obligated to say what I'd do to fix it.

So, firstly, I'd fix the resource. It's twice a short rest, which is most of the time. And I guess that's okay, but it just feels like unnecessary paperwork.

Let them activate bladesong as part of casting a spell or something, so they aren't always using bladesong but they are when they need to.
Ditch the whole AC fiasco. Bring song of defense down to level 3, and also give some sort of buff to BB/GFB damage or something like that.

Level 6 should then have an actually interesting feature because you don't really need it now. Maybe give them access to a unique couple of melee cantrips.

Level 10 can be some other thing, too.
Then level 14 can be some other thing.

And maybe it'll be a bit riskier because you have to spend spell slots to survive in melee, but hopefully the melee damage makes up for it and the other features are interesting.
>>
Trying to figure out an order of the immortal mystic melee build.
Need str to hit things, need con to not die, need int for powers and wis would be nice to have above 10 for saves as would be dex. Cha is luckily not needed.
I'm getting real MAD over here.
Heavy armor is better than light/medium right? Plate offers better AC than leather shit and no need to invest in dex.
>>
>>52031971
>19 str 17 con 18 cha
>200 hp boss
Man, I'm glad I'm not at your shitty table.
>>
>>52032059
16/12/14/14/10/8
>>
>>52031901
>GWM on vengeance
GWM should be used on devotion if at all, because you have sacred weapon.
Otherwise, pick up PAM you goddamn scrub. Especially at level 11+.

Then, if you encounter enemies that basically fuck the heck out of everything in melee, you can walk up and dodge or something.

Heck, you could even go quarterstaff+shield+defense fighting style for up to 21 AC with PAM.

Smite on crits. If you have PAM, you'll make 2-3 attacks before level 5 and 3-4 attacks afterwards, giving you plenty of chances for crits.

Also I'm playing someone with a -1 dex mod and I hardly go last all the time.

Once you get aura of protection, things get better.

Overall it just sounds like you're unlucky and don't have teammates making full use of you, or you have antisynergy with a team (The rest of the team are 'shoot then run away types' and you're a 'run up and hit things' type and all that means is you walk up and die while nobody else can ever be hit anyway)

also
>rolling for stats
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>Want to make an homage to Argynvost
>Decide to go with a draconic sorcerer
>90% of all spells are fire damage

Welp, then, I guess not
>>
>>52032106
shoulda been a lore wizard
>>
File: Iaidoka.jpg (91KB, 374x759px) Image search: [Google]
Iaidoka.jpg
91KB, 374x759px
>>52031717
Welcome to the weeb life. It's time to cringe the fuck out of yourselves.

I mean, maximum of 16 attacks in one turn? What kind of fucking bullshit is this?
>>
>>52032067
>>52032090
I didn't want to roll stats either. But the GM insisted, and my dice didn't let me down.

And that situation was up to level 4. When we hit level 5, I left.
>>
>>52032106
>Meanwhile, lore wizard is laughing their ass off as they cast with whatever element your draconic sorcerer needed
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12466636

People actually like that gimmicky Totem Warrior garbage?
>>
>>52032067
>200 hp boss
Is that bad?
Two weeks ago I threw a ~500 hp boss at my party as a climax of a long quest. They were level 6. The fight took three or four hours.
>>
>>52032106

Talk to your DM to do basically a Fire sorc only you replace all Fire damage with Cold

I'm sure there's something to be said about game balance and number of creatures with cold vs fire resistance, but fuck it, it's a game.

>rolld 8d6 for Coldball

Also, silver dragons have paralyzing breath and regional effects that fuck with the weather, don't be afraid to be taking those
>>
>>52032169
>Is that bad?
>The fight took three or four hours.
>>
>>52032169
Kill yourself.
>>
>>52032166
Its the better of the two PHB subclasses, seems reasonable it would do well in such a poll.
>>
File: Welcome to D&D.jpg (26KB, 340x230px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome to D&D.jpg
26KB, 340x230px
>>52032169
>Bosses that are basically just meatbags, but immune to everything but hitting them hard

This is an incredibly lame way to play.

In 5e, bosses should be supported by minions who help keep the boss safe even if, say, a 'hold person' spell manages to get through to the boss and the boss is paralyzed. The minions then have a way of keeping the heroes away from the boss to get their autocrits, and the heroes can try to find a way to overcome that. Or the minions simply attack the caster to break their concentration, and the heroes try to defend the caster.

5e becomes incredibly lame when it turns into 'Okay, I walk up and attack, because everything else won't work' for the next few hours, because it's designed around more dynamic combat where even bosses are somewhat more vulnerable.

Making a boss have high HP is just a really lame way of saying you lack creativity in 5e.
>>
>>52032166
Bear gives maximum tankyness, Eagle gives fun utility and Wolf gives you pack tactics.

What's there not to like?
>>
>>52032119
That last feature is really poorly worded. Should just say you get disadvantage on the attack. Also the max number of attacks would be 8 unless I'm missing something.
>>
>>52032199
>>52032194
>>52032235
Being tough to kill was pretty much the only thing the boss had going for him. He didn't even hit particularly hard, just steady stream of damage on the whole party for the entire fight.
Attrition was the word of the day.
Also, the boss had around 250 max health, the party just fucked up trying to prevent his automatic resurrection back to half hp TWICE.
>>
>>52032258
Action surge, that's what.

The reason I say 2d20 instead of disadvantage is because advantage and disadvantage cancel each other out. It is supposed to disregard advantage altogether, because otherwise the second attack would pretty much be a freebie.
>>
>>52032166
Berzerker is a nice idea poorly executed.
Zealot is some meta fuckery with your barbarian killing themself a lot and everybody else dragging them back to be revived again, which can be easily limited by the DM saying 'lol, no clerics in this town.'
Battlerager is 'Okay, you have bonus action attacks but you're not berzerker.'
Storm herald.. I mean, I think it might have had something going for it? I just don't remember it being too interesting, but maybe it isn't so bad.
Ancestral guardian I don't remember being too bad but there's probably something wrong. Eh, whatever. It's probably just not strong enough.
Wolf barbarian is strong enough to make barbarian on par with paladin played in the right party.
Bear barbarian is just a nice comforting 'you don't die much' which works well for barbarogues. Honestly a bit boring, but hey, some people like an easy character.
Eagle leaves much to be desired.

Wolf is best.
>>
hey 5eiggers you ready for UA: "Designing an Encounter" tomorrow or some other stupidly inane bullshit that's not Mystic??? I SURE AM.
>>
>>52032263
>He has a feature to heal him back to half HP again
>On a meatbag of a boss

I mean, that's fine if it's not on a horrendous meatbag attritionboss.

It'd be cooler on a boss that has, say, limited spells, so they come back and each time it's not like you're starting from square 1 again, and both sides are slowly losing their resources, and the boss's tricks they tried last time don't really work (They had traps and such prepared, but the party knows how to avoid them)

So even if the party fights the boss a second time, the party can feel good because it'll be a 'Okay, we lost hard in that first round, but even though the boss is back again we know what we're doing and we're going to ace this' as they dance around traps, stop the minions from getting in before the boss even calls them and breaks their concentration on that one spell they knew fucked them up the last time, and so forth.
>>
File: fightermakeover.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
fightermakeover.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Okay, here's the rough draft.

I tried to shift away from short/long rest features, because those annoy me as much as they annoy the autist from the last thread. Instead, a lot of features recover after a ten minute rest out of combat, and superiority dice recover every turn.

I tried to give the champion fighter options, while still keeping it mostly the retard class. You can just use your improved crit every turn and attack. It's not much more mentally taxing than the normal champion is, but there are additional options available.

I tried to remove what I think are arbitrary limits on creativity. Things like the eldritch knight only getting abjuration or evocation, or only being able to bond 2 weapons. I cut a few maneuvers, and modified others. In general, maneuvers shouldn't increase damage directly, like they do in the PHB. The champion is an exception to this, it gets one maneuver that does increase damage.

Finally, there are no eldritch knight maneuvers. If you think of any, please tell me.
>>
>>52032194

unfourtunately taking three or four hours is standard more often than not at our games

And there's a battle like that every other week too.
>>
>>52032339
I don't even care about Mystic, but I just want something to scrutinize, really.
>>
>>52032340
Some thoughts I just had:

Should eldritch knight maneuvers key off intelligence? That could be added to the bonded weapons feature.
>>
>>52032106

If you simply must play sorcerer...

Sorc caps at 15 spells known

>>Cantrips
>Gust (wings)
>Minor Ilusion
>Ray of Frost
>Shape Water
>Thunderclap
>Mending (Or Frostbite)

>>1st Level
>Chromatic Orb
>Detect Magic
>Disguise Self
>Ice Knife

>>2nd Level
>Hold Person
>Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

>>3rd Level
>Sleet Storm

>>4th Level
>Ice Storm

>>5th Level
>Hold Monster
>Cone of Cold

>>6th Level
>Investiture of Ice

Here's where things get weird, but then again, they may stop mattering, because
>implying adventures go up to level 13

>>7th Level
>Plane Shift

>>8th Level
>Earthquake

>>9th Level
>Wish

Sadly, draconic sorcerers don't get true polymorph, enabling them to transform into a real dragon
>>
>>52032461
>dead level spells
r u a necromancer?
>>
File: UAD.jpg (17KB, 353x98px) Image search: [Google]
UAD.jpg
17KB, 353x98px
>>52032258
I reworded it to make it spell disadvantage. Better?
>>
File: jtjrte.png (18KB, 72x80px) Image search: [Google]
jtjrte.png
18KB, 72x80px
My d&d group is so bad we made a list of bad things we do and put them on a bingo sheet.
>>
>>52032389
Really, so do I. I want to scrutinize something that was produced in an official capacity and feel like I'm contributing to the future of a product I may want to buy and a brand I wish to support.
>>
>>52032559
Yeah I think so.
I might change it to say "you may hit twice with an attack if you forgo any advantage you have and make the attack with disadvantage" though.
Opening with "you may forgo advantage" is a little strange, usually "forgo" is used when you ignore something you don't want.
>>
>>52031971
Without knowing what sort of foes you faced at what level I can't comment.
>>
>>52031983
>Firstly, what the fuck is '2 times a short rest for a minute'?

Wild shape?
>>
>>52032614
Hmm, I'll see what I can do. No other comments on the whole archetype?

I tried to make it as obnoxiously weeb as I could without making it absolutely broken.
>>
>>52032033

So pretty much, dip into life cleric if you want to stand even the slightest chance of survival? Okay.
>>
>>52032581
What happens when someone gets a Bingo?
>>
>>52032123
>>52031971
ooh I get it, you played a fucking vengeance paladin
>>
>>52032581
Care to share?
>>
>>52032340

Critical Strikes seems awkwardly worded. What about
"After declaring an attack but before making an attack roll, you may expend your superiority die by rolling it. If the attack is successful you may add the result of your superiority die to the damage for that attack. If the attack is successful and the result of the superiority die roll is an 8, the attack is considered a critical hit."

This gets rid of the awkward "Roll the die." sentence, which is implied anyway. There's no need to state that the superiority die gets added to the critical hit twice, because it's explicitly a damage roll and thus follows the rules for critical hits in the PHB. It also clarifies a confusing use-case where an attack might have missed but the superiority die was an 8 (if the attack is considered a critical hit, does that imply it hits automatically, even if the to-hit roll was a 1?).
>>
>>52032653
Fuck wildshape, too, while we're at it.

>>52032675
So pretty much, ban that.
>>
>>52032461

You're one short. May I suggest Featherfall, as to simulate the silver dragon regional effect of slowing down the fall of anyone in a mile of its lair?

Also, I could swear there was a Wall of Ice
>>
>>52032674
Maybe a bit one note. I think it's pretty good. Dealing damage when you sheathe kinda makes me want to puke so I guess mission accomplished.
>>
>>52032694
>a confusing use-case where an attack might have missed but the superiority die was an 8 (if the attack is considered a critical hit, does that imply it hits automatically, even if the to-hit roll was a 1?)

That's good advice, and I'll implement your wording as best I can. However, this use-case was intentional. I like the idea of the critical strikes maneuver sometimes saving a failed attack. Do you feel that that is imbalanced?
>>
>>52032686
Yes I did. I said so. It didn't look half bad.
>>
>>52032713
Yeah, it's pretty single-minded as it has zero utility outside of combat, and really hinges on the one character archetype. But not much less one-note than Champion, to be honest. And it's all about "Mastering the inner bureido" so having out-of-combat utility would be weird, I suppose.

>Dealing damage when you sheathe kinda makes me want to puke so I guess mission accomplished.
All according to keikaku*.

Keikaku means plan
>>
>>52032742
Ah ok. Next time, check out devotion or oathbreaker, if allowed.
>>
>>52032581
Want to share the sheet?
>>
>>52032461

Oh shit. It works.

Thanks
>>
>>52032349

Let me guess. Druids?
>>
Why is it that if you use action surge you can cast two spells in a turn but that doesn't work otherwise?
>>
>>52032898
Because specific rules trump general rules.
>>
>>52032787
>>52032119
Looks good. So basically, an archetype all about using a one handed sword, probably a rapier primarily, but a long sword if you happen to find a magical one. Delayed Strike might compensate a little for the lesser feat based damage potential... hmmm.
>>
>>52032898
IIRC, it's because the only limitation on spells cast per turn is in the bonus action section, which says if you cast a spell with a casting time of a bonus action, you can't cast another spell except for a cantrip with a casting time of one action.

If you have an action surge, you can cast two action long spells, because they have no such rule.

it's weird and counter intuitive.
>>
Just had my first player death.

>Party journeying out to swamp to collect valuable ingredients for potion
>Attacked by cultists as they walk down road
>Realise how most of the fights the party have had so far have been quite easy, the wizards in particular sucked
>Two wizards, each have 1 cast of fireball and level 3 magic missile
>They each murder a PC, almost killing a third

Gotta say, fireball is pretty misleading for a level 3 spell. They're all level 8 so I thought they'd be able to take it,
>>
>>52032123
>200 HP boss
>getting dropped constantly at level 4
>has almost max str, con, and cha with GWM
>using the wrong channel divinity with vengeance paladin

Sounds like a ripe mess at both ends of the situation. The DM most of been throwing overpowered encounters at you, and you most of not been rolling well. Or you were just not playing paladin right. Possibly both.
>>
>>52032340
>>52032694

More stuff:
- At level 7 I can push a Huge creature 15' with a hand crossbow? I know there's a fine line between suspension of disbelief and cool shit, but this is one of those things that treads close to the line. On the other hand, I am now literally David.
- Maybe I'm doing the math wrong, but at level 15 my critical hit chance goes from 17.5% to 30%? Up from the 5% chance that a non-fighter has. Why not just leave the die roll as a d8 and make the Critical Strikes feature trigger on a 7-8 instead? The extra 1 point of damage on average is massively underwhelming compared to a 6x greater chance of getting a crit than anyone else.
- I just realized that you never explicitly state that a superiority die is a d8 by default. Might want to do that - also, what about just making it a d10, making Critical Strikes work on the roll of a 10, and Superior Critical Strikes on a 9-10? More average damage, slightly lower chance of a critical.
- The EK is missing 2nd level spell slots from levels 7-10, which I'm assuming is an accident. If it's not, why mess with the EK's spell progression so badly? There's a unified advancement for 1/3rd casters

Critical strikes still seems weird. The crit chance gets huge, and having it trigger when you get an extra MAX_DAMAGE roll means that the crits will do more damage on average than they would otherwise. I know single-target big damage is the champion's whole schtick, but this potentially becomes absurd.
>>
>>52032954
That doesn't really sound RAI.
>>
>>52032966
Direct damage spells are super effective vs PCs and not so great for PCs.

How did the fireball fucking kill a level 8 PC? Max damage is 48, so it would only kill someone if they had 24 or so max hp.
>>
>>52033026
They all have around 55 hp, first one did about 15 damage and the second did 32. I forgot to mention that they were being shot by archers at the same time but they did a minimal amount of damage. They mostly just cast silence on the warlock and bard to stop them casting.
>>
>>52032986
>shoving attacks
This is one that concerns me as well. The most obvious fix is to make shoving/tripping maneuvers only work with melee weapons, which definitely helps with verisimilitude. But it also seems to punish ranged fighters. Thoughts/another solution?

>crit chance
The vanilla feature gives you double crit chance on all attacks, and this feature gives you 6x crit chance on one attack. I'm not sure if you were accounting for that in your math. If you weren't, does that change your opinion on the balance of it?

>what the superiority dice should be
Good catch, I'll fix it. D10s could work too. But going back to the above: does it only being on one attack change things?

>EK spell progression
oops, that's a major oversight. Thanks for catching it.
>>
>>52032166
>he isn't one with the spirits
>he cannot see with the eyes of Eagle
>or run with the speed of Jaguar
>he cannot commune with the ancestors
>he cannot use the herbs to journey in to the spirit world
Its a fun archetype dude, no longer do I need to multiclass barbarian/sorcerer to do shaman stuff.
>>
>>52033064
Sounds like "tales from encounters above Deadly"
>>
>>52033085
Indeed. I feel bad and I probably should've balanced it slightly more. It wasn't even supposed to be a deadly fight. Poor gming on my part I think
>>
>>52031979
Id check the pdf share thread and see if maybe its in the archive, if not im sure posting the request there would net more replies
>>
>>52033100
So what all did this encounter have? Two level 8 wizards, two archers who could cast Silence?
>>
Savage Attacker seems preeeeetty shit. Would it be too much to give it a +1 Strength bonus and make it apply on every attack?
>>
>>52033124
The wizards weren't level 8, the only remarkable thing about them was that they could cast fireball. They had like 20 hp and 13 ac each.

Anyway, the encounter was 2 wizards, 2 archers each with 25 hp and 4 bog standard fighters each with 30hp who could only swing shortswords, two of them were also hypnotic patterned by the bard for a while until he was silenced.
>>
>>52033100
Yes, I'd focus on playing out the enounters in your head before you throw them in.

If you have two wizards with fireball, it's a very much no fun allowed 'Okay, wizards appear, and unless you have counterspell they both fireball your entire party. Have fun losing all your HP.'

Then, imagine having casting that instead perhaps have mini-fireballs every turn. 'Okay, wizards appear, and unless you have counterspell they both fireball your whole party, but the damage isn't too severe.'
and then the party knows to split up next time to avoid area effect damage, and they mitigate the further threat or they fail to split up and suffer because of it. And perhaps they feel the casters are the biggest threat and off them first.

>>52033125
Making it apply to every attack means too much rolling, but +1 strength bonus isn't bad at all.

With about 3 attacks against a reasonable AC target, it gives you about +3 damage per round. Assuming you don't have reaction attacks, including crits, including-
Holy fuck I am not going through every modifier you have to consider to calculate savage attacker's exact value.
>>
>having encounters without risk of death
>ever

Might as well go fight on foam swords and nerf guns IRL, it's more exciting.
>>
>>52033165
Mini fireball sounds like a good idea. I might use that next time.
>>
>>52033184
Nice strawman
>>
>>52033155
Until the bard went down, I mean to say.
>>
>>52033184
What if your party decided to attack some normal person that was bound and gagged for whatever reason?
>>
>>52033254
That's not an encounter. The consequences - the investigation and possible arrest followed by a possible trial followed by a posdible execution - are.
>>
>>52032676
if we get bingo we get deprived of yummy snacks
>>52032687
>>52032836
my friend has the list, but most of them are along the lines of "we started playing hours after we were supposed to", "I roll persuasion to persuade them" and "I roll [blank] to know literally everything"
>>
>>52033155
You'll wanna keep in mind action economy compounded by monsters with unbalanced levels of offense.

I've avoided many caster foes for most of my DMing because of how hard it is to not kill people, though a strongly anti caster party could be cool (oath of the ancients is a must, obviously).
>>
>>52032986

You're right, I guess I was forgetting that a Champion only ever gets one superiority die. That makes the impact of Critical Strikes much lower than I thought it was.

At the same time though, tying the critical hit effect to the superiority die roll makes the math weird, especially if it saves the attack. If the superiority-die-crit is also a de facto hit, then it also triples the chance of getting a guaranteed hit (instead of auto-hitting/criting on a 20, it's auto-hitting and criting on a 20 or an 8).

I would keep the die as a d8, but break Critical Strikes into two maneuvers. Something like "Precise Attack" that grants +2 or +4 to hit and the die roll to the damage; and "Critical Strikes" that adds the roll to damage, but also explicitly changes the crit range for the attack to 18-20, with Superior Critical Strikes increasing the range to 15-20. Precise Attack then loses the crit chance, but then synergizes well with GWM/SS for guaranteed damage. This way you could also increase the superiority die type as the champion levels, without having to adjust the math.

>Remarkable Athlete/pushing/shoving/grappling
You're also grappling an adult dragon. What about, "When attempting to push, shove or grapple a creature, you impose disadvantage on any ability check to resist your attempt" instead? That keeps the target range within the realm of the believable, but also illustrates that you're damn good at it by 7th level.
>>
>>52031996
>The basic fighter chassis is already a good at-will basis
What at will abilities can basic fighters use?
>>
Is PHB Hunter Ranger actually worthwhile at all? All the shit I hear about Ranger is mostly limited to Beast Master.
>>
File: 1329543651698.jpg (16KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1329543651698.jpg
16KB, 480x300px
>>52033074
>>52033416

Sorry, replied to myself.
>>
>>52033416
Good stuff. I'm gonna go run my weekly game and afterwards I'll get back to adjustments.
>>
What's the earliest you would expect a party to be able to take on, say, 4 hobgoblin devastators and a hobgoblin warlord on a werewolf, assuming the PCs know what to expect in a general sense?

For those unfamiliar, devastators are level 9 evoker types whose understanding of magic is limited to purely destructive attack spells.
>>
>>52033420
Attack. Shove.
>>
>>52033438
Yes, its pretty good as an alternative to the more straightforward battlemaster archer.
>>
>>52033484
And grapple!
>>
>>52033165
Replying to myself...

Okay, actually, if you use a greatsword (2d6)...
If you have a hit chance of 0.55 and a crit chance of 0.05

If you make one attack, you get +0.8512 damage per round
If you make two attacks, you get +1.3306 damage per round
If you make three attacks, you get +1.6752 damage per round
If you make a reaction attack, you get an extra +0.8512 damage.
Note that there is only a 60% chance of hitting in the first place, though.
You can increase the damage by using a 1d10 or 1d12 weapon, critting more often (champion) or making more attacks or by making reaction attacks (savage attacker is once per turn) or by having more damage/crit dice, or... Basically there are a load of ways.
But no, not even a champion3/barbarian17 makes awfully great use of it. They'd only take it because they already have maximum strength, GWM+PAM and thus want more damage.
>>
What's the 5e equivalent of the tomb of horrors?
>>
Got a question for you guys. A friend and I recent got back into d&d and few of our normie friends wanted to play a small campaign with us for some shits and giggles and we as a group play a bunch of tabletop board games

The major problem was the four non-autistic friends built characters that don't synergize skills and stats well. I called it the tumblr snowflake crew where there is a fucking Dwarf Druid, two 'Dragon-kins' that are a Wizard and Fighter and a Half-Elf Paladin. Plus me, an Elf Rogue.

Since most of the stats and skills didn't work that well together, and we were all Lv 1, they were all pretty squishy compared to me. I OHK all the normal shit we were going through until a 'boss' encounter. Even then, a hilarious critical roll did 21 (4d6 +4) damage to an Ogre.

If the group of us play again, should I tweak their characters so they work a bit better
>>
>>52033539
Tomb of horrors is being converted to 5e in april I think
>>
>>52033539
I'd say either at At The Mountains of Manticoria or The Chamber of The Chasmes
>>
>>52033551
Where'd you hear that?
>>52033563
I'll check em out.
>>
Is there any shenanigans you can do with Land Druid or is it pretty much mediocre as shit?

It's been probably 10 threads since I've even seen anyone mention it exists, which to me means it's probably utterly mediocre but not so bad as to be openly ridiculed (PHB Beast Master)
>>
>>52033590
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
>>
>>52033484
So stuff literally everyone can do. Good to know.
>>
>>52033657
to be fair, while everyone CAN do them, most classes aren't going to have their athletics skill high enough to actually succeed.
>>
>>52033590
Oh those aren't real, they're just two Meme Monsters for filling your PCs' hearts with despair.

>>52033599
its a 9/9 caster with spell recovery and some neat stuff.

Their weird thing is that a lot of their archetype abilities, mostly higher level ones, are vs fey, beasts, and plants, and things like entangle. Many DMs flat out don't use these things, especially not at mid to high levels against a druid. They are perfectly sound, however.
>>
>>52033540
You fucked up. Should've given them pregens or walked them through chargen.
>>
>>52033697
Don't forget that having three attacks means they can shove three times, or possibly four times with a feat.

Barbarogue is better at it, though.
>>
>>52033438
a new player just rolled one in the group i dm for, so far it seems really good. just one session in at level 3 though right now. but just having good initiative and surprise rounds has been very helpful so far.
>>
>>52033540
>a fucking Dwarf Druid

What could possibly be wrong with a dwarf druid?

>mechanics

Hill derfs are as mechanically suited as a fucking wood elf.

>fluff

Derfs are 100% flavorwise suited to mountain or underdark land druids, for example.
>>
So, what is next UA going to be?
>>
>>52033790
Looks to be an article about some pretty intriguing new wizard archetypes. I'm hyped as fuck.
>>
>>52033790
It'll be on the mechanics of fucking your mom.
>>
>>52032706

Wall of Ice is wizard only.
>>
>>52033711

They WANTED to be those races with those classes. They two of us explained why they should choose races and classes that work well together but it didn't phase them must.

The other autist was DMing and just sort of dumbed down the enemies a bit but that just made it some I was curb stomping shit. If I hit was a minimum of 5 damage and the fodder enemy were Kobolds with an AC of 11 and it's pretty hard to miss with a +6 to hit.
>>
>>52033599
I think they are fine, but that's as a DM who never actually sees people play them. There are lots of cool things druids can do with their spells that you don't see often because rawrr i'm a bear. Thorn whip is one of my favourite things in 5e, and creative use of druid stuff can be great, but you do have to not only work a bit harder to do your thing than a moon druid, you also have to accept that sometimes a few of your spells are going to not suit your environment this session.

As a side note, I'm yet to see anyone try to use shillelagh on throwing clubs as ranged weapons. Where the boomerang druids at? Its a shame I'm foreverDM.
>>
>>52033824
Really hope they have alchemist as a wizard archetype this time.

A couple modifications would make alchemist go a long way in terms of feeling unique and flavorful etc. etc.
>>
>>52033846
>they WANTED to be those races with those classes

Then play everything normally and laugh as they get slaughtered. Teach them a lesson.

Fucking normies
>>
>>52033824
Is that a fact? No mystic v3?
>>
File: sc4-cervantes.jpg (159KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
sc4-cervantes.jpg
159KB, 1000x1250px
>Treachery Paladin (for Poison Divinity)/Assassin Rogue

or

>Treachery Paladin/Swashbuckler

Kinda feel like making a non-Revenant Cervantes.
>>
>>52033884
Race really doesn't matter that much in 5e. If they're not doing a good job min-maxing their characters because they don't understand the rules that's another deal entirely.
>>
>>52031917
>i'm always looking for ideas
>>52031945
>Get rid of resource management and focus on at-will consistent power
>>52031996
>Do the opposite of this.

I can see this is off to a great start. My suggestion is to abandon hope and just accept that whatever you make will be called shit by >50% of the people who read it.
>>
>>52033907
>Treachery Paladin (for Poison Divinity)/Assassin Rogue

You know you can just make poison from slaughtered/incapacitated monsters by default, right?

That is, assuming it really is just for CD poison.
>>
>>52031952
Champion retard buff I'd give is "You have 1d6. You can roll this 1d6 when you roll a die and add it to the result. At the start of your turn, you regain this 1d6 if you have used it." Add fancy language. Done.
>>
>>52033907
6 levels of paladin + rest of the levels in rogue sounds good.

Swashbuckler's a good bet for mobility. Assassin's a good bet for murderhoboing.
>>
An article on the Wizards Media page says that some UA material may make it into future books if it proves popular enough. I wonder if they'll do that with the Ranger Errata and the Mass Combat rules, those seem pretty popular.
>>
>>52033786

I suppose there's a just a tiny bit of suboptimization with the fact that you get heavy armor proficency, but can't use metal because Druid

But it only makes sense that Mountain and Underdark druids would be Dorfs
>>
>>52032309
There isn't going to be a UA tomorrow. Read last week's article again.
>>
>>52033846
First, they are fine. Dorfs get a plus to WIS and CON, great for a druid. Even a moon one. Half elf is THE best race after vhumans. Especially for charisma classes. Dragonborn fighter is fine. Dragonborn wizard is odd, but nothing wrong with that either.

Second, you are the problem. You use the words "normie" and "tumblr special snowflake". You didn't help your friends build what they want and not suck with it. You think "builds" and "synergy" matter in a cooperative game of make-believe. You focus on numbers and mechanics and efficiency instead of just having fun with your friends and participating in lighthearted adventures with wacky characters. You must have a quite sad life. You are everything wrong with RPGs these days. Kill yourself.
>>
>>52033933
Well also because Cervantes is certainly not a straight Rogue, he uses "magic" attacks in his movesets and is most definitely a front-line fighter unlike a Rogue.
>>
>>52033994
I'm hoping for the When Armies Clash rules for 20x20 and minute length rounds, rather than the 100x100 abstract stuff that results in ogres being unable to hurt berserkers and dragons being unable to hurt veterans.
>>
>>52034004
Mountain druids have meld into stone as a circle spell. What's dwarfier than sleeping in stone?
>>
>>52034053
I enjoy the game we are playing in, we rolled for everything, dm put a d100 list for race, then rolled straight down the stat list, you get one stat swap and thats it. Sometimes you win sometimes you get something shitty, I have a earth gensai druid, not the best but fuck it I still shit lightning bolts like a champ
>>
>>52033599
I was wondering if I should play a Swamp Land druid or a Twilight Druid in my next game. The basic plan was to use the Revenant stats for a guy who died in a Swamp ages ago but was recently raised from the dead by natural forces for a reason he doesn't know. Mechanically I'm wondering if Extra Spells and Short Rest recharges are better then being able to drop the extra damage.
>>
>>52033933
Not "poison" so much as the flat 20+ extra damage.
>>
>>52033828

>Otiluke's Freezing Sphere and Wall of Ice are wizard only

Fuck sorcererdom
>>
>>52034004
That's mountain derfs. Hill derfs get +2 con, +1 hp/level, +1 wis, advantage vs poison, resistance vs poison. Top notch druid race.

Tumblrnose gets +2 wis, sure... but +1 to str and a single gimmicky racial ability worth mentioning (can blink away and turn invisible when hit). Decent in a MOBA, but I would rather be a hill dwarf druid every time.

Hm... hill dwarves might be THE race for druids actually.
>>
>>52034112
>Not "poison" so much as the flat 20+ extra damage.

That's not unusual for poison, though some DMs may (justifiably) be annoyed.
>>
A beginning 5e DM here. I asked this in the last thread, but got no answer. Better luck this time?

How do you build NPCs? Should I just build them like PCs, with levels and all, or should I build them according to the guidelines in the DMG?

For example, the party's (they're 1st level) going to be attacked by a wizard in the first session. I'm not sure how exactly I should build the wizard, since I'm pretty new to this.
>>
>>52034004
Druids can use metal, but they won't.

There's a difference.

They don't actually lose their powers or anything if they put metal on.
>>
>>52034163
Check out Monster Manual's Appendix B. There ain't probably what you're looking for exactly, but you can improvise the rules of acolytes, for example, and change their spells to wizard spells etc.
>>
>>52034163
There are like 10 or so separate premade wizard npcs between the Monster Manual and Volos, best to pick one from there. Don't build them like PCs, try and find a monster or npc in the MM and modify it slightly to suit your needs.
>>
>>52034004
>you get heavy armor proficency, but can't use metal because Druid
That's why you kill an aurumvorax and make plate armor out of its hide, silly.
>>
>>52034163
for Very Important NPCs I build them like PCs, the only modification being I give their powerful spells and special attacks cooldowns for balance purposes.

Otherwise just rip stats out the of MM for lesser NPCs
>>
>>52034228
>Making metal armour is torturing the minerals or some shit but its fine to go murder an animal to make some armour from its hide.

Fucking druid logic.
>>
>>52034204
Yeah, I figured I should do something like that until I've got a better handle on it. I tried looking at the NPC stats there to figure out how WotC does it, but they seem to have departed pretty drastically from the old "just roll up characters" method (the hit dice don't make any sense in that regard, for example).

Generally speaking, how much over or under the party's level can a monster's challenge be and still remain relevant/realistically defeatable? I've heard 5e is much more flexible about that than some editions, so I was wondering.
>>
>>52034258
>killing a monstrosity for food, materials, etc. is murder

Fucking vegan logic.
>>
>>52034258
I mean, druids aren't vegan hippies but yeah I see your point.

I suppose metal represents industry and civilization so they reject it on that principle.
>>
>>52034265
You can make NPCs with class levels, but generally there is no point. Any notion that a level X character correlates to a given CR is dangerously wrong headed and people need to get past that. It will depend on spell selection particularly, an enemy caster who buffs himself to try to gish is going to be way weaker than a guy who just rains nukes down on the party for example, and PCs don't care that an enemy warlock will be able to short rest to get most his abilities back.
>>
>>52034258
" The idea is that druids prefer to be protected
by animal skins, wood, and other natural materials that
aren’t the worked metal that is associated with civilization. "

Basically 'I'm going to put my life on the line on a frequent basis and make myself much easier to hit, probably die and thus be unable to help the forests anymore'.
>>
>>52034281
The rejection of civilization has always felt out of place and modern, to me. I mean, the whole notion of nature suffering at the hands of humans is something we came up with after we came up to the point in our history where we could realistically do that. Back in the old times, that really wasn't something people considered. To people back then, nature was scary and vast and *wild*, not something you could easily just manage and something you needed to specifically care for so you didn't just accidentally kill it.

Even though we can very much see now that human activity can have tremendous impact on nature, it's always felt pretty forced when some scenario centers around OH NO MUH NATURE and some asshole druid starts punching fishermen or some shit.

If anything, you'd think that the fact that the nature is full of scary fucking monsters would make it a lot less vulnerable to some peasants fucking around with axes.

I've always felt that druids work way better when they're against the otherworldly unnatural. The weird shit from Far Plane that's invading into this world or something like that. I mean, I guess they are in official material as well, but much less.

But still, the whole CIVILIZATION IS KILLING MY NATURE thing just feels silly. Especially when you usually don't have anything near modern level of devastation happening, and it seriously ends up being about some druid shooting people because they're threatening a random tree.
>>
>>52034379
Yeah, I agree.

The reasoning should really be 'I would rather work with natural materials because firstly it's more comfortable to me and I can make all this shit myself, secondly because my spells work better with natural materials rather my shapeshifting have to absorb fucking metal plates and lastly because it helps me feel more in-tune with nature, and it feels nature is less likely to run away from me then.'

I'd still let a mountain dwarf druid wear metal armour, though.
>>
>>52034281
>making metal shit
>find metal in the fucking ground or falling out of the sky
>bang on it with a rock
>done

>making leather armor
>kill some animal with sticks and rocks
>skin it with a sharp rock?
>gather a bunch of acorns, make tannin
>tan the hide
>stitch it together
>done
Druids are hypocrites. Tanning and leatherworking are way more "industry" than cold-forging native metals.
>>
>>52034258
Wearing the furs of an animal you've killed is okay. They probably killed it with the wood of a fallen tree or loose stone plucked from the earth, then skinned it using the same.

Refining ore that you've stolen the earth using tools made from pillaged stone and the mass-harvested wood from trees, using either more wood raped from the forests or coal raped from the earth as fuel, in a furnace made out of stone cut out of a quarry, a wound made in the earth, in order to create weapons and armor to better to defend yourself with, isn't okay.

Most metal-working civilizations engage in a level of infrastructure and land-rape that druids disagree with. It's not metal they have a problem with, it's all of the resources used to process metal ore into usable tools and armor.
>>
>>52034430

the mining and smelting industry is a bit more dirty than that mate.
>>
>>52034425
The magical aspect feels a lot less forced, yeah. Since they're basically defending nature against unnatural, otherworldly threats (Undead, abominations, stuff like that), I could totally see them drawing strength from "rawer" materials and all that. Kind of like their whole equipment being ritualistic.

I mean, I could actually see it being pretty cool that druids could craft equipment from all kinds of ritualistic components that shouldn't normally function as well as regular materials. Huge animal skulls, wood, raw hides and whatnot. But since it's all part of their magic, it does function. Maybe especially against those unnatural threats.
>>
>>52034275
played with a druid once who refused to attack anything that wasn't either undead or a construct.
>>
>>52034258
I always treated it as they felt more at home without metal. Now that there's not really anything that says they can't wear it, they can. Most will not and I'll allow druid players to make Half-Plate armour made out of wood, shells and stuff like that for half the cost normal crafting.
>>
>>52034443
It's pretty much on the same level as sandniggers refusing to wear hard hats because they can't fit it over their turbans, or whatever it was.

Otherworldly creatures are invading and threatening to fuck all the forests over. Do you:

A) Equip yourself properly and kill them and save the day, slightly funding industrialism in the process
B) Equip yourself poorly and beat it back with sticks and rabbits

It.. Kind of suggests you can't have a chaotic good druid that decides to be effective to save the day instead of sticking to rules even when it could get themself killed. But actually, that's how the game is - you CAN wear metal armour (though you probably want to get proficiency in it first). It's just all the other druids and their sons and their goats will look down on you. You're that one guy who decided that he wasn't a good enough druid that he could fight back with nature alone and decided to go get the entirety of a full fucking half-plate even though he can turn into a bear. And the DM might get up on your tail about not really being a druid if you keep doing this shit.

So, in the end, all is right with the world, I guess.
>>
>>52034379
>The rejection of civilization has always felt out of place and modern,

Its alignment, dude. The game originates from a conflict between Law, Neutrality, and Chaos, and druids were introduced as NPC foils and antagonists that were simply cleric-magic users (normally an impossibility) that were Neutral, found off in the wilderness and potentially dangerous and potentially helpful.

Its perfectly fine for civilization, the wilderness, and the underworld to have its various champions with weird foibles.

>But still, the whole CIVILIZATION IS KILLING MY NATURE

Think of druids (by default, PCs may be different) identifying with and being empowered by the interstitial space between the forces of civilization and destruction. They tend to want to maintain a balance between the two.
>>
>>52034450
That's civilization's problem. You're just a Druid. You just walk around the woods and go through some caves and snag native metals. Shit, Druids can Stone Shape, so they could just melt certain ores apart and leave you with a twisted hunk of metal (provided it's something like telluric iron and not magnetite).

Why wouldn't Nature tell its best Druid Bro where to find some nice, natural metal just layin' around? What if you're a fucking Chinese Druid and Metal is literally an element for you?
>>
>>52034510

Better than the druid I played with. Horrid power gamer, there only for level 20 infinite wild shapes

Constantly did evil shit, and then lectured others about their gaming because he was the grognard of the group.
>>
>>52034545
Just play a nature cleric mate
>>
If Druids really wanted to protect the land, they'd teach those stupid civilized fuckers how to extract materials in non-damaging fashions, how to replenish woods, how to rotate their crops to improve yields, the miracles of sanitation, and so on.

Civilization doesn't have to expand as much if they can get what they need within their current borders. Extracting metal from the earth, period, is not harmful, but there are certain means and processing methods which produce dangerous byproducts; Druids could help civilization circumvent those with their magic and knowledge. Improving the quality of life of the nearby civilization would also lower their fucking birthrate so now they're not chopping down all your forests for more farmland (because you've doubled their farms' yields) or chifferobes.

Really, Druids are going about this shit all wrong.
>>
What's the best CR 2 Beast?
>>
>>52034616
Most modern politicians don't have this level of technological and political acumen
>>
>>52034625
Allosaurus.
>>
>>52034651
Because they're in it for the money, not improving anyone's lives, or they're being held back by the other fuckers who are in it for the money.

Druids don't give a shit about money.
>>
>>52034545
I choose:
C) Equip yourself with sticks that you enchant with the magical power of the wilds, making them far more formidable than mundane swords and transform your little wilderness friends into fucking bears and shit using those same powers.

To use your turban analogy, it would be as if by refusing to take off their turbans and adhering to their faith, they suddenly made their turbans much more effective than hard hats.

After devoting their lives to nature and protecting it from the threats of the unnatural - which includes industry - druids have gained the ability to surpass forged iron with wood, bone and stone.
>>
>>52034678
>have to wait until level fuckteen to cast Stone Shape and make yourself stone full plate
nah
>>
>>52034678
This is more talking about armour than anything.

If a druid uses barkskin, they can spend a spell slot to concentrate on having 16 AC. 14 dex and half-plate would still give 17 AC, without having to concentrate and having to use a spell slot.

And shillelagh doesn't make them better than someone trained in using swords using a sword, it just helps close the gap.
>>
>>52034379
Even Great Fantasy Granddaddy Tolkien did the whole nature vs. industry thing.

As the other Anon pointed out, chaos vs. order is a pretty consistent theme in DnD and fantasy in general. We can reach all the way back to ancient Greece and see this same idea in the Apollonian vs. Dionysian conflict. So I definitely agree with you that most druids are played from a modern perspective but wild vs. civilization is not a new idea.
>>
It looks like my upcoming players are firmly board game players and haven't played RPGs before. With that in mind:
1) how does 5e lend itself to tactical combat and grid usage?
2) do martials have cool options in battle / is caster supremacy a thing?
>>
>>52032340
Alright, let me go down the list in order.
>Removed Second Wind.
1st level nerfed.
>Superiority die.
Never defined. Also, only ever learn two maneuvers unless battle master. Seems kinda shitty.
>Action Surge
10 minute refresh is going to see it used a lot more often. Never get a second action surge. Nerfed level 17.
>Indomintable [sic]
10 minute refresh is going to see it used maybe more often. Never gets extra uses. This was a long rest recharge, now it's up as often as action surge. Nerfed level 13 and 17 maybe.

Champion
>Crit
Crit chance increases by 12.5% for one attack per turn. Average damage from a d8 (assuming) with a greatsword and defensive style is 6.375, about 6.5 with the fighting style. It's a little less, about 6, if you actually reroll the superiority die instead of just doubling it.

In any case, this is flatly better than the ranger's hunter styles. Maybe that's ok.

>Remarkable Athlete
Not concerned.

>Superior Critical Strikes
Raises crit chance by 43.75% for one attack. Average damage for the die, the way you've worded it, is about 11.

Average crit chance over 4 attacks is ~15.9375%

Battle Master
>Two then three dice per round.
Normal expected dice per day is 12-15-18/21/23 depending on build and encounter frequency and use. Point being all fighters are getting more dice per day, and this one is getting a ton more.

>Master Ambusher
Surprise Rounds don't work that way. Also seems ridiculously OP.

I'll do all the maneuvers together.

Eldritch Knight
>Bonded Weapon uses Int
What are you trying to do here?

>War Magic
Not cantrip only. I.... don't really care.

>Eldritch Recovery and Greater Magic Weapon.
You don't have a level 15 feature listed, and I miss Arcane Charge. Also, spell table is missing the level two spell slots from level 7-9, as mentioned.

>Maneuvers
In general, the thing with superiority dice is that they're dice. You roll them. The number you roll matters.
Next post.
>>
>>52034686
Or if you've got a DM, approach the resident archdruid or whatever and ask for him to grant you a boon in exchange for a favor.
>>
>>52034728
man i'd just wear some normal-ass full plate and say 10 hail silvanus's
>>
>>52034719
I'll be honest, if you want solely tactical combat with minimal DM fiat, play 4e instead.

Caster supremacy is still a thing, but only at the later levels and at the earlier levels it fluctuates a bit and sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. Generally, however, magic gives a wider range of non-combat utility (And combat utility), though there're still ways magic casters can get fucked over.

5e's combat works best if the DM creates an interesting environment, and the players are willing to interact with said environment. Say,
'A bunch of goblins appear and attack!'
'Oh, okay, I want to smash this barrel next to me with my axe and hope it delays them.'
'There was oil in it. It spews oil everywhere. They'll probably just jump over but I guess they might slip.'
'Oh, do you think it's flammable? I'll throw my torch there and get to running.'

That sort of a thing.
Obviously you still want to make it not appear like DM fiat, such as
'When you enter the room, you see two large barrels off to the side with taps, but no mugs to be filled and a slimey black puddle below the taps. You hear something up ahead, the gibbering of less civilized creatures and the clattering of weapons.' because this has just hinted towards everything that might happen and it isn't just 'The DM randomly springs goblins!' or 'randomly decides it was oil!' but instead you can see how it all pieces together.
But that's just good storytelling.

Anyway, yes, 4e is what you're looking for.
>>
>>52034563

Well, part of it is how Cold Iron is antithesis to the Fey, like, Holy Water is to vampires, and Druids are basically the priests of the Archfey and shit

Where my Dresden Files / Kevin Hearne fans at?
>>
>>52034830
>Druids are basically the priests of the Archfey
Hang 'em all.
>>
>>52032340
>>52034721
>Maneuvers
>Disarming Attack, Menacing Attack, Pushing Attack, Trip Attack, Maneuvering Attack
All nerfed.
>Commander's Strike
Not sure if nerfed.
>Evasive Footwork, Parry, Precision Attack, Rally, Riposte
Completely unchanged. Also, infinite Rally.
>Sweeping Attack
Just gone.
>Distracting Strike
I don't like that disappearing act ability, at all. The advantage is about right.
>Goading Attack
Taunt. No. No taunts in D&D.

Were you even thinking with these maneuver changes and non? Some of the situational maneuvers are nerfed. Some of the best maneuvers are unchanged. Take Rally, everyone gets 1d8+cha temp HP for every fight. Take Riposte/Parry and be tank man. Take Precision Attack and abuse it. Take this shit and set it on fire.
>>
>>52034710
Half-plate requires 375 gp investment to make, a sword requires training. Only the most elite soldiers would have anything more expensive than chain mail. Your average soldier, at their most well-equipped, would probably just have a spear, a shield and either chain mail or scale mail.

At low levels, a druid makes up for that by using Shillelagh, Barkskin or transforming into a wolf.
At high levels, a druid makes up for that by weaponizing sunlight and transforming into a fucking dinosaur.

Druids don't need to use weapons and armor made from land-rape because the natural world that they serve offers them an alternative.
>>
>>52034967
A land druid doesn't have as much transformation capability, and might be caught outside of animal form often enough.

Even if they can't afford half-plate, they could easily afford scalemail which would take them up to 16 AC without having to cast spells and use a spell slot. Then you put on a shield for 18 AC.

I just remembered that barkskin doesn't consider shield AC, so even pretty affordable scale mail (50gp, still not exactly super cheap, but it's easily within the budget of what level 1 adventurers start with) gives more AC than barkskin. Without concentration on a level 2 spell.

The only real reasons to stop you from armouring up your precious druidling squad that you want to make sure doesn't die are
A) It costs 50gp to armour each one of them
and
B) Because taboo
Not all druids are gauranteed to be able to turn into animals (just player ones, or at least turn into animals that'll help them stay alive without just flying away) or have spells to armour themselves appropriately, and by following tradition here you're putting their lives in danger.

This is really a 'lawful versus chaotic' argument, though.
>>
>>52033438
Hunter scales like shit. It has no high level. BM just has the pet die, but scales okay. Since the most common difference between the two archetypes, offensively, is colossus slayer, BM doesn't even suffer much for having a dead pet.
>>
>>52033540
The only one with a problem is the dragonborn wizard. And that's a wizard, so I don't give a shit.
>>
>>52034228
I've just ruled it as the spirits of nature either refusing or being unable to communicate with them while they're covered in metal.
>>
>>52033907
Dual Wielding EK. Misty Step, Action Surge(arcane charge), cast dimension door, then taunt.
>>
>>52035072
But if they abandon their taboo and freely wear metal armor and use metal weapons, then they're not druids any longer. They're some other class instead. As a part of their code, they do not draw power from outside of the natural world.

It's not a case of "I don't use items made of smelted metal because I don't want to," it's a case of "I don't use items made of smelted metal because by willingly wielding that which is unnatural for my own advantage, I am betraying all the beliefs that my class stands for and I shouldn't be a druid in the first place." There's nothing wrong with a druid allying themselves with people who use industry or even protecting industry form a greater threat - in certain situations. But the natural world is only willing to grant them their powers because they're so disconnected from civilization.

If you want to play something close to a druid that uses metal weapons and armor, play a Nature Cleric, an Ancients Paladin or any sort of Ranger. But understand that a druid cannot draw strength from civilization or anything else beyond the natural world. It's not just taboo, they wouldn't become a druid in the first place if they believed in using smelted metal.

And if that's retarded in your eyes, then fine, druids are retarded and you should probably not play one. But druids are powered by their devotion to the natural world over civilization and there's no compromise, no ifs or buts or maybes. Someone that believes in using the unnatural to protect nature cannot be a druid.
>>
>>52033790

Going to be a week late.
>>
>>52035256
Please no
Mystic was supposed to be in time for christmas. Tiny Tim has starved by now.
>>
>>52035320
Mystic never. Enjoy Knight Options: Archetypes and Feats for chivalrous characters.
>>
>>52033824
>Looks to be an article about some pretty intriguing new wizard archetypes.
What is it with /5eg/ and people claiming what the next thing will be without any proof?
>>
>>52035351
I mean, if they're not all for fighter and paladin i'm fine with this.
>>
>>52034616

"Druids are concerned with the... need for civilized folk to live in harmony with nature, not in opposition to it."

Their main concerns are with aberrations, undead, and especially Elemental Evil, not raging against civilization.
>>
>>52034678
>, they suddenly made their turbans much more effective than hard hats.
Rumor has it, the turbans were more effective than the helmets during World War (probably 1).
>>
>>52035378
Yeah, and if peoples' lives weren't so shit they wouldn't be joining Elemental Cults, raising undead armies, or performing wacky magic experience that make aberrant abominations.
>>
>>52035374
They're not! There's one for Wizard too!
>>
>>52035237
Just because a paladin breaks part of their oath doesn't stop them from being a paladin. Heck, there's even an archetype for literally 'can't follow oaths and broke them'

It's a conflict of morals. You either put the lives of druids at risk, or you betray your code of honour. It's like giving a vengeance paladin the choice between hunting down the leader of all the things they have vengeance against or saving a bunch of people those people have left to die.
They won't stop being a paladin because of that.

Putting a bunch of potential druids in danger is as much of a crime as wearing metal armour, at least.

In any case, it's not every day you're overrun by otherworldly beings and have to take such desperate measures that you put everyone in armour. The reason you shouldn't have to worry about sleeping in plate armour, marching all day long and still having a good meal at the end is because often campaigns happen in very trying times that could potentially drive a druid to have to take such extremes.

What I will say though is it's unlikely there'll come a situation you already have that armour on hand when you have a small team of mini-druids who need to defend with you. So the situation I'm talking about is pretty rare. And arming them with that armour would only be until the threats are completely gone.

The same could be said for your own life, since it's not every day your life is in danger and you need to wear that magical half-plate or whatever.
>>
>>52035382
This sounds like that shit where, after introducing helmets, the brass thought they were somehow killing their men because of a massive influx of soldiers hospitalized with head injuries compared to before the helmets.

The reason being that soldiers without helmets FUCKING DIED and were buried, not hospitalized.
>>
File: Torogs friends.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Torogs friends.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>52035369
Sadism.
>>
>>52035256
>No UA until March 13th
THEY
CAN'T
KEEP
GETTING
AWAY
WITH
IT
>>
File: duergar.jpg (123KB, 1600x932px) Image search: [Google]
duergar.jpg
123KB, 1600x932px
what are the best suited classes for Duergar? also tips/lore for how to best portray one as a character
>>
>>52035455
Wizard
>>
>>52035392
>implying that civilization being shit is the fault of the wizard guys who just want to live in the middle of nowhere
>not the wizard guys who are wizards
>not the wizard guys who get powers from Jesus wizards in the sky
>>
File: Reallyfuckingpowerful.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Reallyfuckingpowerful.gif
1MB, 480x270px
Hey d&d /tg/!!

Looking for a PDF of the Nord Games Critical Hit/fail decks, 5e compatible.

Didn't see them on the mega.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
>>
>>52035467
>wizards living in the middle of nowhere
>relied on civilization all their lives
>were trained by wizards dwelling in civilization
>two generations of wizards doing nothing but take, take, take
>fuck off to the woods without making any positive contribution
>their miscreations will wreak havoc on civilization later
Fuck Wizards.
>>
Mystic v3 will never come. I already made peace with myself on that and I'll spam v2 on every game.
>>
>>52031971
You're doing a Minimum of 7 damage on every attack, and that's assuming that you're rolling 1's on every dice, every attack, and choosing not to use power attack.

I'm pretty sure you're just bullshitting, but if you're not.

Use Oath of Emnity not the stupid fear one, get advantage on your attacks, then you can more contently use your power attack to deal 2d6+14 damage on every attack when wailing into a boss. When you hit 4th level grab a Halberd and Polearm master for the +1.5 extra attacks.

All these extra attacks and advantage you're bound to get a couple nice critical hits, which is when you smite for massive damage.
>>
Divine casters are lazy fuckwits. Arcane magic is GOAT.

Prove me wrong.
>>
Are we getting a UA this week?
>>
>>52035802
Nope.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/836279692944629760
>>
>>52035775
> Druid and Paladin
> Lazy
Do you even lift?
>>
>>52035775
>8 Int peasant
>kill some goblins defending my farm
>oh boy, my first legit class level
>WIZARD
>know the entry-level secrets of the multiverse and I can't even write
>spellbook filled with fucking scribbles
>shit still works
>>
>>52035810
>we need a whole 14 days to vomit out another steaming pile of useless disappointment rehashed from the optional rules of the DMG
great
>>
>>52035828
8 INT isn't that stupid. Half of the population have 8 INT.
>>
>>52035859
>8 is below average
>half the population is below average
>there are presumably dumber people, too
>>
>>52035859

Incidentally, wizards don't come from that half.
>>
>>52035859
Wouldn't it be a third has 8 to 9, a third has 10 to 11, and a third has 12 to 13?
>>
I've talked about this for a while now, let's see what it looks like. As a preface, you have to meet special qualifications to use a weapon's special ability. For example: Be a fighter, have a fighting style, be proficient with martial weapons, be proficient with certain martial weapons, or take a feat, likely Weapon Master it could use it, that unlocks special weapon techniques.

>Club
Melee attack hits on a prone enemy are critical hits.
>Dagger
>Greatclub
>Handaxe
>Javelin
>Light Hammer
>Mace
>Quarterstaff
When wielding it with two hands, you can make a bonus action attack like PM.
>Sickle
>Spear

>Crossbow, light
Remove loading property.
>Dart
Not a clue.
>Shortbow
When you use your Action to attack with a shortbow, you can use your bonus action to make another attack with that shortbow. Crossbow Expert's bonus attack.
>Sling
Actually one handed.

>Battleaxe
You can TWF with these weapons even though they aren't light.
>Flail
When used with a shield, you can use shield master's bonus action shove.
>Glaive
Cleave
>Greataxe
Power Attack
>Greatsword
Cleave
>Halberd
Power Attack
>Lance
Already kind of special.
>Longsword
Cleave
>Maul
Savage Attacker
>Morningstar
Savage Attacker
>Pike
You can OA an enemy on entering your reach.
>Rapier
You can use TWF with these weapon even though it is not light.
>Scimitar
Using two gives you +1 AC.
>Shortsword
Using two gives you Defensive Duelist.
>Trident
If you attack with a trident in one hand, you can throw a net as a bonus action.
>War Pick
Melee hits on prone enemies are critical hits.
>Warhammer
You can use TWF with these even though they aren't light.
>Whip
You can use TWF with these even though they aren't light.

>Blowgun
Fuck if I know.
>Crossbow, hand
No disadvantage for enemy being within 5'.
>Crossbow, heavy
No disadvantage for long range shots.
>Longbow
Ignore 1/2 and 3/4 cover.
>Net
Already pretty special. See Trident.

Blanks I don't have any idea for right now. I'd also rather power attack be universal.
>>
>>52035971
>>Pike
>You can OA an enemy on entering your reach.

Nice, especially because pikes don't work fully with Polearm Master.
>>
>>52035971
>blowgun
making an attack with this weapon doesnt reveal your position when attacking from a hidden position
>>
>>52035971
This is actually a pretty good idea. I think it should require being a "Warrior" class like in 2e where only Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins and Rangers get access to them no matter what. Solidify that they should be the people best at using weapons.
>>
>>52036200
Make it a Champion thing.
>>
>>52036200
>considering Paladins to be more martial than Rogues
One of these guys casts spells and does magical shit all day by default.
>>
>>52036162
Enemies make saves against poisoned darts at disadvantage.
>>
\>>52036254
Fair point. Maybe Fighter, Barbarian, Swashbuckler? It does feel like the feats are mostly needed on Fighters and Barbarians.
>>
>>52036162
I thought about that. I also thought darts always whished by like they were really obvious, but it does sound good.

Another thing that comes to mind is "You can poison blowdarts with a bonus action."

I also ran into the character limit anyway.
>>52036200
Yeah. Some of these come from the idea that having martial weapon proficiency should be a benefit, instead of handaxes being the best Str TWF weapon by default for example. So I think some of these are definitely safe.

that then lets me go back and add stronger effects to some simple weapons as I please too.

I'm particularly pleased with "Clubs are super effective on prone enemies," right now.
>>
>>52035892
>>52035900
>>52035899
>>52035859
>9-11 average
>8 and 12 14%
>7 and 13 2%
>everything below and above are either adventurers or diseased/possessed
>>
File: Proposed weapon bonuses.png (439KB, 702x540px) Image search: [Google]
Proposed weapon bonuses.png
439KB, 702x540px
>>52035971
I already posted something about this last thread, though in the end I decided it's probably better I just ask players 'Okay, just take an ability from one of the feats and have this as your fighting style for the weapon. Whatever ability you choose can be considered your unique 'fighting style' for that weapon.'

Then a feat can grant you two unique 'fighting styles' at once. So if you want PAM's bonus attacks AND reaction attacks you can have that. But normal people will be able to have at least one of those abilities if they want.
>>
>>52035855
My favorite was when they said they had a hole pile of them and one day later said there was no new one this week. I would not mind if they where not dicks about it and they produced stuff that was not so bad :S
>>
Real time consideration:
Advantage with power attack, on average,
Greataxe (6.5+10+5)*.64+.0975*6.5=14.39375
Advantage with auto crit, on average,
Greataxe (13+5)*.8775=15.795

I might do crits on prone enemies instead of power attack.

>>52036351
Yeah, I saw that. I'm trying to do a solid suggestion list to get people started. It's just supposed to be suggestions though. It's homebrew after all.

I also like the idea of unlocking all the basic abilities at once some way, because I hate specialization. Just picking up a weapon and using it should be viable and interesting.
>>
>>52036424
Well, yes. Another reason I was doing this is because I don't like the idea that you specialize into something and stick with that the entire game, without being able to choose anything else.

Crits on prone enemies as a general thing except on weak weapons feels pretty fuckey considering certain abilities key off of crits and it isn't awfully hard to prone enemies, especially if you have extra attack.

What I'd kinda like do to is make a list of 'mini-feats' you can apply to weapons, with each 'mini-feat' having a list of weapons you can apply it to. And then, as I said before, let players apply them as they wish to whatever weapon.
>>
>>52036242
This is too complicated for anything I'd throw just at champion specifically.
>>
>>52036254
>>52036200

Paladins definitely are more martially inclined than rogues, they even get fighting styles.
>>
While talking about this am I the only person who feels like Barbarian deserves a Fighting style?
>>
>>52036483
Barbarians don't get fighting styles, and they're pretty martial.
>>
>>52036254
Rogues have the most utility of the martials, and paladins are still pretty much just combat whack things a lot even if they do have a few spells. It's stupid of me to say this, but if we define 'martial' as 'lacks out of combat utility', sorcerer would probably be a martial somewhat and rogue would probably be more of a casterish guy.

>>52036454
>>52036424
Oh, and, I'm not really thinking it's deserved to limit it to any one class.

As long as wizards can't pick up spears and get reaction attacks while casting spells, I think it's perfectly fine to allow it for all classes as only ones that attack with weapons will make good use of it.
>>
>>52036516
Sure, but paladins deserve the title at least as much as rogues do.
>>
>>52036509
>Barbarian
>Style
You might not be, but you should be.

>>52036520
Yeah, my first inclination is that it's available to anyone proficient with the weapon, except simple weapon changes which require proficiency with martial weapons. That way there's no one that uses weapons who gets completely left out.

>Monks.
I'll get to them later.
>>
>>52036509
It would be way too good, GWF can easily get you 2-5 more damage per swing, great swords make that a 1-6 chance.

Protection requires shields, defense requires armor, it's just a flat bonus.
>>
>>52036454
>certain abilities key off of crits
Yeah. Barbarians and half orcs would go overboard with it on a greataxe, for instance. Though barbarians already use Power Attack really well thanks to Reckless Attacks. Actually proning enemies takes more effort.

Obvious solution is it's not a critical hit, just roll one more of the weapon's damage die for the attack's damage, or a flat bonus to damage like Proficiency on prone enemies.
>>
>>52036548
They are martial in that they fight well with weapons.
They are not martial in the "these classes don't have magical powers, these classes do".

Casters: Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, Cleric, Warlock, Bard, Paladin, Mystic, Artificer
Martials: Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Monk, Ranger (only because their magic blows fucking chunks)
>>
>>52036617
Extra weapon die works. The only other problem is it kinda forces them into a playstyle that heavily encourages them to knock everything prone all the time, and the abilities should probably accomodate different approaches. If it were you get an extra weapon damage die when you have advantage', that'd be much more genearl, but obviously overpowered considering how many ways of getting advantage there are.

I guess there could also be things for, say, maul, 'when you roll a nat 10, you automatically hit' so as to represent it somewhat ignoring defences by way of being a big crushing thing. But then again you could probably achieve a similar effect with +1 to hit. And that's kinda boring.

So I'm not really sure.

>>52036558
Monks are a bit odd because unlike barbarians, paladins, fighters, rangers and rogues they don't really have any compulsory feats - ... Oh, except mobile.
But still, they probably deserve something on quarterstaves or spears and maybe one for 'completely unarmed'. But I'd also like to go somewhere completley different and remove stunning strike and compensate the monk with goodies for losing stunning strike.
>>
>>52036642
>They are not martial in the "these classes don't have magical powers, these classes do".

A totally retarded definition since the idea of a "martial" character comes from Book of Nine Swords, in which the classes were not!fighter, not!paladin, and not!monk (especially shadow/elemental).
>>
>Firbolgs are the only race with +2 Wis
Gross.
>>
>>52036713
And the amazing magical powers of the not!paladin aren't, power-wise, anything significantly different or greater than those of the otherwise mundane martial guys.

Paladins have strong, useful magical spells that recharge on a long rest. They're casters.
>>
>>52036710
Well you'd take the bonus on prone weapon/style if you want to knock enemies prone all the time. You'd pick the one that suits the approach you want to use.

>Monks
Quick thoughts are stunning/disabling with quarterstaff, piercing strikes/bonus damage on spear, and extra mobility and enemy position controlling as unarmed. Basically, quarterstaff would be monk classic, spear would be damage monk, and punching would raise the whole team's mobility, subtly with effects on the enemy, and overtly with ally boosts is reasonable. I mean the monk literally gives an ally a hand or two for a big leap or extra speed.
>>
>>52036772
>And the amazing magical powers of the not!paladin aren't, power-wise, anything significantly different or greater than those of the otherwise mundane martial guys.

We are talking about martial who used supernatural powers to heal the blind, wipe away diseases, smite people with holy power, incinerate hordes of foes with flame, teleport through solid objects, etc. There's nothing a paladin does that is out of line for a crusader. Paladins are solidly martials.
>>
>>52036850
They did that in 3.5 in a book where the other martials did the same shit.

The other martials don't do that in 5E. This is a completely different ballgame.
>>
>>52036871
For my part, if they mostly fight with weapons, I have to consider them if I'm making changes to how people can use weapons.
>>
>get boost to 22 CHA
>character flaw : you never take no for an answer

i love this campaign so much
>>
>>52036871
>They did that in 3.5 in a book where the other martials did the same shit.

Only some.

>The other martials don't do that in 5E.

Some do.
>>
File: 1374151394673.jpg (476KB, 500x900px) Image search: [Google]
1374151394673.jpg
476KB, 500x900px
>>52031717
ok guys, I haven't wizarded in roughly 15-16 years and it was back in 3rd edition, so tell me how to wizard now

note: it's adventure league, so no lore tradition
>>
>>52036909
Ayyy I got that too.

CoS has been pretty fun so far.
>>
File: gnome illusionist.jpg (225KB, 450x704px) Image search: [Google]
gnome illusionist.jpg
225KB, 450x704px
>>52036952
question #1: can you stand the idea of playing a gnome? because they're the best wizard race
>>
What exactly is the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide? The D&D Product Guide on the Wizards site is almost blank for that. It just talks about how it won an ENnie.
>>
>>52036994
The best race for any class is variant human.
>>
>>52036994
no, i never liked the idea of gnomes, ever, they're just halflings with overly sized heads, and I been more of a kobold fan, they're hated enemy
>>
>>52037015
it has duergar, full retard power level variant halflings, terrible banneret fighters, low to average undying warlocks, low to average crown paladins, average bladesingers, great swordmage cantrips from 1e for all arcanists, and great arcana clerics, perfect for making a mage hunter type or a do everything caster
>>
The only time I've ever DM'd was for a friend's play group that he DM'd for, for lack of a better term I guest dm'd for them.

I whipped up this quick 1 shot scenario about Lizardfolk in a swamp raiding villages and towns a fair bit out of their territory and the local lord hiring the party. The twist was supposed to be that the same lord tried to raid their shit, breaking years of armistice after hearing rumors that the Lizardfolk held some great treasure deep inside their territory. And that the Lizardfolk were just repaying them in kind.

They just finished my buddy's campaign and were insanely arrogant. This was just something to do as he wrote up some more material for the last leg of his campaign. What I hadn't known was the party make up. It was a party of 5 consisting of 2 Fighters, 1 devotion paladin, 1 life cleric and a edgy assassination rogue, all 10th level. I figured the rogue would've carried a bow and the fighters some javelins or throwing axes, but I was wrong. 1/2
>>
>>52037099
2/2
By the second encounter was 6 Lizardfolk Shaman. They failed perception checks to notice they were being stalked for quite a while and had a surprise round against them. 3 of the casting Conjure Animals and bringing out Flying Snakes, 1 of them used spike growth right on top of the party, 1 layered it with plant growth and the last used heat metal on the cleric's armor. By the end of the first round of combat the shaman completely surrounded them. They were being corralled back in via thorn whips should they stray too far from the center.They got tpk'd by the 8th round or so.

After that I had learned that the cleric literally only had healing and support spells prepared, that they'd been playing through a rather easy campaign with rather simple encounters and they still had a difficult time with it and that 3 of them were borderline that guys.Is there a better way that I should've handled that encounter upon learning their shortcomings?
>>
>>52037147

Sounds like they never stood a fucking chance.

Large quantities of casters with layered control or aoe effects against large quantities of martials will not go for the latter, especially if they have no real burst type effects.
>>
File: IMG_3577.jpg (130KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3577.jpg
130KB, 600x750px
Is there any way I can make a character based on pic with the rules? Like he was given a second chance to complete a important task and will die when complete.
>>
File: tumblr_n3pnwmmTr91sn8kzpo1_1280.jpg (116KB, 800x719px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3pnwmmTr91sn8kzpo1_1280.jpg
116KB, 800x719px
>>52032687
>>52032836
really late at posting this but this is the bingo sheet list. Used fake names because raisins.
===============================
1. Spergfag puts in headphones
2. Footboy wants to play a different game
3. Spergfag pulls up a 3.5 rule
4. DM confuses himself
5. Gookboy disappears
6. Jewboy dies
7. Someone asks "What character am I playing?"
8. Someone plays Binding of Isaac
9. Someone plays some form of cancer or music aloud
10. I want milk
11. Jewboy and I pay for everyone's snacks
12. There is almost no chips but a fuck-ton of drinks, or vice versa
13. Someone cheeses their dice
14. "Can I roll to know everything?"
15. Unnecessary combat
16. Completely amoral behavior
17. Rolling against other players
18. Destruction of an inn
19. Magical realming
20. Fatty goes with everyone else
21. Describing what you say instead of saying it
22. Starting after 3
23. Jewboy is triggered
24. Split group conversation
25. Hyper-focusing on one player
26. Someone is needlessly late
27. Something is broken/spilled
28. Spergfag says something stupid
29. Rules lawyering
30. Threatening players/characters
31. Footboy hurts his foot
32. Spergfag accuses someone of ruining the quest
33. Meta gaming
34. Complaints over taking under 10 damage
35. Being fully ready to kill self
36. Person in character talking to person out of character
37. Dm drops dice and shouts
38. Bitches about the Bingo board
=============================
pic unrelated
>>
>>52037147
>a surprise round against them

No wonder they died. Besides being a crazy unfair fight, you houseruled in a whole extra turn for them?
>>
>>52037271
revenant
>>
>>52037271
the revenant race is exactly what youre looking for
>>
>>52037147
Surprise rounds aren't a thing.
>>
>>52036952
Did that artist have a fucking stroke while drawing her right thigh?
>>
>>52037315
>>52037317
Ooooo Thanks.
>>
>>52037301
>>52037331
>If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until that turn ends.
None of them had proficiency in perception, their highest pp was like 14 and no one had alert.
>>
>>52036952
Wizards are pretty rad. all of the sub-classes wizard gets access to really help them be more than a pool of magic energy, and the cantrips help you not feel useless when you run out of spell slots. They are definitely still one of the best classes in the game. The only major downsides are concentration checks are harder to make, since it is just a con save now rather than a concentration skill check, and you can only have one spell with concentration up at a time.
>>
>>52037288
>21. Describing what you say instead of saying it
This is acceptable if the conversation is mundane and would be verbose, like explaining events, making small talk, that sorta thing.
>>
>>52037399
I mean more like rolling to convince someone of something without even talking to them, shit like that. Perfect example was when DM told Fatty to make up a convincing story about something and he literally just said "ok".
also we care a shit ton about roleplay :'^(
>>
So would playing an Arcana Cleric as an Ur-priest be a dick move? I'm a fan of the Ur-priests that are just worshiping and absorbing energy from a dead god over the ones who are dickholes that steal power, so I'm also wondering if there's any notable recently dead gods in Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>52037452
Oh yeah, that's bullshit. We enjoy roleplaying as well, acing in character and stuff. I just meant that sometimes it can save time to describe the gist of a conversation rather than act it all out.

>"I ask one of the farmers where the village elder lives."
or
>"I explain to [other players who were present, but whose characters weren't] what happened during our last encounter."
etc
>>
>>52037485
You're an edition too late for that, I fear. Most of the gods that died since the FR began are back, with the notable exception of Moander.
>>
>>52037508
Jesus what did I miss? I haven't played any D&D for a while so are pretty much all gods back to life or something?
>>
>>52037240
I didn't think it'd be that bad when I made the encounter. I figured that the rogue and the fighters would have ranged weapons and that the cleric would have sacred flame, guiding bolt or spiritual weapon. It honestly should've been an incredibly easy encounter given that they were 10th level
>>
>>52037495
I see what you mean, also makes sense when players ask the DM cancerous questions like "what street address is the inn" and other really specific shit
>>
>>52037529
In-universe, Ao Overgod rewrote the Tablets of fate with no warning, bringing back all but one of the Dark Seldarine deities, resurrecting all but one of the deities which died during the Avatar Crisis, bringing back Cyric (sort of, he's a lot weaker now), and increasing the number of Chosen (though they're weaker now, a little).

Out-of-universe, Ed Greenwood got control of the setting back, and promptly retconned all the shit the previous two editions did to his setting without his permission.
>>
File: 1473387920650.png (814KB, 818x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1473387920650.png
814KB, 818x1440px
>>52037398
Thinking about making a conjurer, since it's a kobold wizard of the cloistered scholar background, he's a biologist/ecologist for the Emerald Enclave (since kobolds are required to be in EE in adventure league for no good reason) and writes down notes meticulously about the odd creatures in his travels. He left as he felt his studies couldn't teach him anymore and wanted a more hands-on approach, so he has something of a hard-on for ancient tombs/dungeons/etc, and traversing such places is dangerous so always having the right tool (minor conjuration feature) can be incredibly useful.
>>
>>52037562
Well I guess it gives more opportunities for interesting stuff to happen again.

Alright I don't remember all the gods but are there any Human ones with an anti-magic thing in their dogma? I don't think there is but I might be wrong.
>>
>>52037593

Nnnnnnot specifically human ones, so much, though some dislike their clerics dabbling in it.
>>
File: Fighter Lv 1.png (299KB, 1018x1319px) Image search: [Google]
Fighter Lv 1.png
299KB, 1018x1319px
New group at my college and I under rolled. Stick with it or find an convenient opportunity to die?
>>
>>52037613
Darn. I my second character idea was an Arcana Cleric with a focus on anti magic and hunting mages. Maybe I'll just be a Fighter or something for the game.
>>
Homebrewing some shit; is this a broken fighting style?

Disrupting Style: Once per turn, when you attack, you may choose to attack with disadvantage. If you do, the next time that target is attacked by another ally, that ally has advantage. You may not use this style if you already have disadvantage for any reason.
>>
>>52037565
sounds pretty solid to me, it should definitely work out well. I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>52037647
go with it, the chaos gods command it
>>
Could someone give me the nuclear druid build and the sonic tabaxi build?
>>
>>52037647
>Modifiers in the top box, stats on the small box

Nigger you what
>>
File: 868777-canetoad.jpg (46KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
868777-canetoad.jpg
46KB, 650x366px
>>52037761
glad I wasn't the only one
>>
>>52037761
WEEP FOR THE DEATH OF GAMING
no but seriously while I agree it's a matter of personal preference
>>
>>52037747

A few quests and I can get rid of the -1 and 0 on Dex and Wis at least.
>>
>>52037761

It inflames my OCD too but what do you use more often, stat or modifier?
>>
What's a good way to figure out a class or character archetype to pursue in this game? SInce 5e came out I seem to only be making caster characters and accidentally got roped into the Arcane Trickster trap twice.
>>
File: cromniomancy.png (82KB, 700x282px) Image search: [Google]
cromniomancy.png
82KB, 700x282px
What class would a Cromniomancer be in 5e
>>
>>52037761
That's how roll20 does it
>>
>>52032340
Here again, checking into criticism. I'll get a 2nd draft up tomorrow.
>>
>>52037838
A Divination Wizard with a crystal onion as his arcane focus.
>>
>>52037761
That's how the 5e sheets are supposed to be used. Source: the premade characters from the Starter Set.
>>
>>52037900
>not using the /tg/-made sheets from the Mega
>>
>>52037240
>>52037301
I mean, life clerics get Spiritual Weapon as a domain spell. Both devotion paladins and all clerics have access to sanctuary and could've just ran down the shaman and not worry about the flying snakes or thorn whips. The cleric also could've dispelled the plant growth or cast freedom of movement on their heaviest hitter. The fighters and rogue could've dodged and advanced on them, lizardfolk shaman only have a +4 to hit with spells and flying snakes +6. There's no reason for a rogue to not have either a light crossbow or a short bow and the fighters should've had hand axes. It sounds like they just played like shit and deserved the tpk.
>>
>>52036713
'> "these classes don't have magical powers, these classes do"
>listed fighter, rogue, and ranger

what
>>
For a melee character with only Medium Armour is a 14 DEX necessary or can a 12 and a shield give them enough AC?
>>
File: Zarus_zpsd4dd9da1.jpg (15KB, 231x264px) Image search: [Google]
Zarus_zpsd4dd9da1.jpg
15KB, 231x264px
what would make a fun main story for my new campaign?

i asked the players what they'd like to see this game and they told me the following.
Drow rogue wants consequences and impacts for the groups actions.
Goblin druid wants to encounter increasingly big/dangerous animals that he can wildshape into.
Tiefling warlock wants to make money and do fun side jobs for patron.
Human barbarian just wants cool fights and.

starting the game using a opening i saw on youtube but with some twists. Players are imprisoned in a dungeon with no gear, they fight their way out and acquire more gear, boss fight with cultist of Zarus"a old obscure god in this case" then they escape. Dont know whats next after that.
>>
>>52037540
>I figured that the rogue and the fighters would have ranged weapons and that the cleric would have sacred flame, guiding bolt or spiritual weapon.

A handful of dudes plinking at casters, with disadvantage, while having 24 +6 to hit things attacking them at 7 damage each? Pretty unwinnable fight.
>>
>>52035775
Arcane casters are condescending fuckwits. Divine magic is God tier.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>52037922
>and could've just ran down the shaman

Plant growth, spike growth, thorn whip

>. The cleric also could've dispelled the plant growth

Only plausible element, but lets see you remain calm while encased in glowing red hot armor and covered in poison snakes while being grappled by vines and in spikes.

>The fighters and rogue could've dodged and advanced on them,

Plant growth, spike growth, thorn whip

>There's no reason for a rogue to not have either a light crossbow or a short bow and the fighters should've had hand axes.

Disadvantage, largely useless.

>It sounds like they just played like shit and deserved the tpk.

Its fully likely that this is the first time in their entire RPGIng careers that they were attacked by a full party of what are essentially druids, or control/summon casters of any kind.
>>
File: 1488013776150.jpg (64KB, 674x525px) Image search: [Google]
1488013776150.jpg
64KB, 674x525px
>Character dies right before end of session, next session begins with their new character (a kappa druid from the woods the party is hunting a monster in) throwing them a rope and helping the party
>He also is hunting the monster for corrupting his forest and slaying his clan, stays with the party afterwards because he has nothing to go back to
>They get back to town and are waiting at the stables owned by their ally for their patrons to arrive and reward them for slaying the monster
>The changeling rogue is messing around with the animals to pass the time
>"There's two horses at the sta-"
>Druid: "Three horses, now."
>"Alright then. Three horses at the stable."
Long story short, the rogue horsenapped one of them (rolled a d3, it was the druid) and went to the blacksmith's in town in disguise to get it some horseshoes out of boredom. He jokingly whispered to the horse that if it didn't want to be shoed, it aught to kick the blacksmith in the head. So, it did. I asked if it was nonlethal, he flipped a coin and said it wasn't. The rogue freaked out and the druid jumped over the guards that came and ran away, shifting back and hiding in the woods and sneaking his way back to the stable. The rogue was asked if that was his horse, and he said he stole it, then pointed to the other tavern in town. The guards brought him there to confront the stableman and pay the debt for the horse before resolving if he was responsible for the murder, and took his coin bag to see what he had. Of course they were shocked the peasant had hundreds of gold, and when pressed for a reason he told them he was in disguise tracking a fugitive and his horse was stolen. Very confused, the guards took their eyes off him for just a moment, which he used to ditch them and dump the disguise.
They both, on separate accounts, pretended they didn't know what happened.
The fuck am I supposed to do now?
>>
>>52037690
Nice, warlord lite, not martial telekinetics, I like it.
>>
>>52038017
The flying snakes weren't in their face, they were attacking and flying back up via flyby so ranged attacks wouldn't have been made at disadvantage.

Guiding Bolt 4d6 and a rogue with a short bow with sneak attack is 6d6 + 5 should've been more than enough to 1 shot the shamans concentrating on conjure animals
>>
File: shapeshifter.jpg (205KB, 760x610px) Image search: [Google]
shapeshifter.jpg
205KB, 760x610px
>>52038070
That sounds amazing.
>>
>>52038010
The group was imprisoned by some Extreeeeeeeme Zarusian Cultist group who wanted to execute them for being... Well, them?

It's a huge conspiracy to do evil for vague reasons, with the cultists attempting to crash the dwarven economy by stealing their recipe and undercutting their prices/sabotaging their forges, kill tons of trees to make elves angry, and the likes.
I don't know
>>
>>52038010
The cult of Zarus is attempting use black market dealings to fund an armed insurrection in the Human King's palace, hoping to place someone on the throne who will persue human interests whenever possible, to the detriment of other races, instead of the current King's policy of peace and fair trade.

To stop it, they'll have to spend the next six months ingame cutting off the Zarus cult's resources and black market trades, so that the eventual conflict will end with a weakened cult on a suicide mission. The current army is too occupied with an Orc war in the West to be brought down on the Zarus cult's heads, and a direct assault on their base would be suicide. Furthermore, one of the King's high ranking members is a Zarus cult practitioner, who would turn the King's ear against you if brought to his attention early. At the very least, enough to stop any game enders.

One of these black markets would be an animal fighting ring, one would be arms dealership, ect.
>>
>>52038027
Why not both?

>Theurge Tradition bois.
>>
>>52038083
Then yeah, that sounds plausible, although the PCs don't necessarily know which shaman is maintaining what, that killing/disrupting him would end the summons, etc. Its a lot to dump on strangers, in any case.
>>
>>52037997
Rule of thumb is to aim for something around 15+Level.
>>
At what level does a heavy crossbow become more damaging than a hand crossbow for a fighter, assuming the crossbow mastery feat is being used?
>>
>>52038063
>Plant growth, spike growth, thorn whip
Thorn whip is +4 to hit, 2 of the party members had access to sanctuary and everyone could close in via dodging, they were 10th level ffs and by the sounds of it finished a pretty large part of the story and could very well be decked out in at least platemail except the rogue.

The cleric should've used spiritual weapon to try to disrupt concentration if they weren't going to sanctuary, could've cast freedom of movement on the paladin or fighter to fuck shit up, dispelled the plant growth, flame striked all the snakes.

They had tons outs, they were just bad.
>>
>>52038147
I feel somewhat bad for what happened. I did run down what they could've done after the tpk and that the cleric should pick up some offensive or control spells, the fighters and rogues could've gotten some ranged weapons, the paladin could prepare command. I just retconned it to being a terrible dream in the end to not fuck my buddy's campaign and I've been told that flying snakes being terrifying has become a running joke for them
>>
>>52031869
Pretty sure they're available in the Faulklands
>>
>>52038160
You start getting outdamaged at the third attack, but only by 0.5. It gets slightly worse later.
>>
>>52038082
I'm actually homebrewing it for a warlord class.
>>
Druids don't use metal armor because of symbolism and sumptuary laws. The hippie druid is some of the worst garbage to come out of the 3e era.

The cleric is, if anything, the anomaly in having full armor access originally.
>>
>>52038190
I've ran perfectly normal encounters with, say, archers that start firing at 30', no difficult terrain, no lockdown abilities/etc., each individually moving around to avoid being hit, the usual melee oriented clusterfuck party really is unlikely to be able to handle it. Add control/summoners to the mix and it becomes even more difficult. Granted, the PCs are dead which means he won the game, but you have to keep in mind that the majority of players have probably never encountered an enemy party full of casters.
>>
Oh, also quick reminder, the original druid could use scimitars and sickles, it's not about "metal mining raping the earth", that's as retarded as people who think Tolkien dwarfs were good at technology when all the best shit was smithed by elves, whose smiths were so good they produced fucking magic.
>>
>>52038335

>The cleric is, if anything, the anomaly in having full armor access originally.

Remind me again the ass kicking, brain smashing Knights of God shouldn't rock it out in full armor?
>>
>>52038389
I
>>
>>52038389
Because of the addition of Paladin to the game. Cleric being purposely OP has mostly to do with how the class came about in OD&D
>>
>>52038421
>Because of the addition of Paladin to the game

Only added in Greyhawk (and the inclusion of Greyhawk takes it from being OD&D to "weird AD&D")... but here's the best part, the original paladin steals absolutely nothing from the cleric, and they're very different classes. The two are plenty distinct in 4e and 5e as well, I see no problem.
>>
>>52038375
>all the best shit was smithed by elves, whose smiths were so good they produced fucking magic
... YET IN THE TEMPERING OF STEEL ALONE OF ALL CRAFTS THE DWARVES WERE NEVER OUTMATCHED EVEN BY THE NOLDOR high elves, AND IN THE MAKING OF MAIL OF LINKED RINGS, WHICH WAS FIRST CONTRIVED BY THE SMITHS OF BELEGOST dwarf city, THEIR WORK HAD NO RIVAL -- fucking Tolkien

Do not confuse "the Elves were good and poured a shitload of magic into their crap" with "Elves were superior metalworkers", bro.
>>
hi guys noob dm here, just asking if i let my party's warlock take animate dead as a 3rd level spell because his character is supposed to be a necromancer will it break the game?
>>
>>52038368
I don't think the dude did much wrong desu. Maybe he shouldn't have assumed that the players weren't awful, but a lot of the blame rests on the players. They had outs they couldn't see, and by the sound of it, their regular dm has never given them an actual challenge before
>>
>>52038503
Yes unless you make it so casting it again destroys all currently controlled minions, because a warlock could potentially cast Animate Dead 16 times a day.
>>
>>52038520
>desu
goddammit I forgot that some shit gets filtered to desu
>>
So I've seen it somewhere before but I can't remember the conclusion. Can Thorn Whip pull creatures 10 feet into the air then drop them for 1d6 fall damage if I'm higher up?

Also can Thorn Whip be used to pull someone off a 30 foot ledge for damage? What if I target a creature that's flying?
>>
>>52038389
Remember when individual Gods limited their Clerics to armor of certain types or lower?
>>
Hey /5eg/ I don't normally play D&D but a friend of mine is going to be running one soon

Is there any kind of magi-tech kind of classes? I want to make myself a little golem/construct army as the game goes on.
>>
>>52038503
No, if you do what >>52038526 said.
>>
>>52038520
>their regular dm has never given them an actual challenge before

Don't mistake "never challenged before" with "never ran into an encounter full of control casters," which most people will literally never encounter. Its better to ease PCs into fighting enemy control casters gradually, not all at once plus surprise.
>>
>>52038550
Artificer is what you want. It's a playtest class but is a full release, a bit on the weaker side but still solid. There's an alchemist subclass that chucks vials of acid and exploding thunderstones and such all day, and a gunsmith class that wields a big cannon.
>>
>>52038550
Not really and "Armies" kind of fuck up the game no matter how you make them. An Artificer gains 1 Construct companion that they can command around and Rangers can gain a Beast but that's about it.

Oh, Druids can summon lots of small elementals though.
>>
>>52038550
No Magitek, but there is Necromancy
>>
>>52038546

No, unless you're talking splats, but I do remember the cleric and druid being ostensibly examples of priests and that you're free to customize them for different religions, resulting in specialty priests ranging from "wow its fucking nothing" to specialty priests of fucking Horus, which as I'm sure you know were chaotic good de facto paladins with full cleric casting or something to that effect.
>>
>>52038550
Simply see if the DM will let you buy/find golem manuals
>>
Is "A dickkish Wizard is behind this" an okay plot? If it's foreshadowed/outright said beforehand?
>>
>>52038542
>Can Thorn Whip pull creatures 10 feet into the air then drop them for 1d6 fall damage if I'm higher up?
There's nothing that says no. Your DM should adjudicate whether or not you have the bracing and leverage to lift a creature of a given weight, though.
>Also can Thorn Whip be used to pull someone off a 30 foot ledge for damage?
If you're in a position to use it on them and yank them into the void, yes.
>What if I target a creature that's flying?
They are pulled towards you. This does nothing to them other than move them around. Forced movement only harms mounts (flying or not, it's a Dex check for the rider to stay on; prone also causes this). If you want to inflict falling damage on a flying creature, you need to make it fall, which requires you reduce its movement speed to zero (inflict prone, grappled, incapacitated, paralyzed, petrified, KO, stunned, or restrained).
>>
>>52038546
>>52038606

Pretty sure that's a 1E UA thing that made it to core rules in 2E and only really came fully into its own when settings started using Specialty Priests wholesale.

Also specialty priests were cool for offering a way to play a proper bishop Turpin with a sword.
>>
>>52038645
Specialty priests were legit. Always sucked when your God had a custom spell list of like, one thing, but fucking Eldath had like 10 goddamn spells that actually did shit.
>>
>>52038628
>If it's foreshadowed/outright said beforehand?

Yes, inasmuch as plots are acceptable.
>>
File: WesternMapFINALE.jpg (4MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapFINALE.jpg
4MB, 5000x5000px
I finally did it.
It's fucking done.
God DAMN that's a lot of fucking names.
>>
I made a setting and put all my fetish races into it, but none of them have a WIS score.

Gimme some vague ideas on some people that'd have a +2 WIS modifier.
>>
>>52038690
Rock dudes.
>>
>>52038676
What is it though?
>>
>>52038701
it's a map for you, anon
please use it in your game
>>
>>52038690
Something about a cultural obsession with owls. Like, a completely humanoid race, no physical animal traits.
>>
File: Machinist.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Machinist.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>52038550
No idea how balanced this is, but it seems awesome.
>>
>>52038559
I can't stress the fact they were 10th level enough. It's clear they've never been challenged. They got away with having a cleric use no offensive spells, no ranged attacks and the paladin not using compel duel or command. At the end of the day it's their fault they got tpk'd by a pretty easy encounter
>>
For overland travel do you guys use hexes or just make it up? I kinda like the idea of figuring out random encounter tables for certain areas they travel through and them stumbling on side quests. The whole campaign's also pretty heavy on the travel side of things.
>>
>>52038695
They have such big, strong hands, too. +1 Strength.
>>
>>52038733
But they can unhinge their jaws and swallow mice whole.
https://youtu.be/VObQfWMgmIM?t=11
>>
File: 1335579461237.png (129KB, 1521x643px) Image search: [Google]
1335579461237.png
129KB, 1521x643px
>>52038127
i relay like this idea, thanks for input.

this leaves the game open depending on if they try to deal with the problem themselves overtime or try to alert authority's or the wrong people find out about their situation and then become a threat to the players.

one question if your still here. why would the human player be taken? I think im gonna have the cult try bribing him to their side.
>>
>>52038658
>tfw all thes priestly garb pics in FR's Specialty Priest book
TSR going completely fucknut insane with production values may have dragged them to bankruptcy, but that shit was cash.
>>
>>52038645
There is probably reference to it in the nonhuman deities section, although most of these don't have PC clerics according to the PHB, so its not quite clear if this is a factor to punish PC clerics of races that formerly had demihumans, a provision to only apply to NPCs, or whatever.

Dragonlance emphasized it more.
>>
>>52038765
Meanwhile
>wotc making cash hand over fist
>can't even be bothered to mention every god, let alone describe them
>>
>>52038745

I can't stress the fact that most players have never ran into anything like that enough. Most DMs are not crazy about casters besides as the occasional essential villain.
>>
>>52038775
Much better. The shit in prior editions where "you need to follow x god to get y thing" was retarded and terrible, its better to stick to archetypes like 5e does it.
>>
>>52038757
I would assume the human was seen helping non-humans. While being clearly pro-human, to zealots, a fellow human betraying their own kind is worse to them than a non-human fighting for their own. If they were to bribe the player, they should probably prey on the idea of being brought down to a lower status. The fear of their kin being treated as second class citizens in their own lands, while "lesser races" reap their benefits.
>>
>>52038793
It doesn't matter that they haven't run into mass casters before when those casters are pretty fucking weak. Those could've been fucking magma mephits and they still would've been tpk'd
>>
>>52038741
This is dope! I'll run it by my gm.
>>
>>52038827
>when those casters are pretty fucking weak.

Control casters don't strongly adhere to normal concepts of strength and weakness. They can fuck up much stronger foes and be fucked up in turn by much weaker foes. Unless you've played one or at least browsed /tg/ and talked to people about how they work, chances are you will have no fucking clue.
>>
>>52038813
But domains are th lite version of this.
>>
>>52038815
thanks man im for sure using this, ill have them go through places where most humans are peasants and struggling to get by, and then have the elves & dwarves they see be in positions of power/well off financially.

the others are recording it and putting it up on youtube. should be here by tomorrow if you wanna see.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1qZ2QZjB2NkclkgyQk1-w
>>
>>52038939
I'm holding you to this, do a good job at that fucking table
>>
Trying my hand at homebrewing a Warlord class, and having trouble coming up with a healing ability for them that's not jsut a carbon copy of Lay on Hands. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Currently my idea is granting them a scaling number of d6 that they can hand out one or more at a time. The number of dice cap out at 5, but they recharge on a short rest.
inb4 stop homebrewing and just play a battlemaster
>>
>>52038986
So like bard?
>>
>>52038893
And that party had a natural counter to vastly weaker control casters in the form of that cleric. They had 3 potential ranged attackers even though they're subpar at it, they had a paladin who could've compel duel or commanded them to get closer to fuck them up. Not a single member of that party was helpless by anything other than choice
>>
>>52038969
ill try, just keep in mind i just became confident in my knowledge of the rules and the guys can get real rowdy and vulgar
>>
>>52039000
Sort of, except this is intended to be used in combat rather than outside of combat.
>>
>>52038813
How the fuck is it better that they put out an edition that still expects you to follow a God but doesn't tell you anything substantive about who those Gods are? Clerics aren't running off Paladin Oaths, they're still worshipping discrete deities whose Domains line up with the Cleric archetypes.

Yeah, okay, I want to be a Light Cleric. Who can I worship for that? These guys, okay.. Lathander sounds cool. What's he the God of? "The sun, renewal, and athletics." Yeah, that's totally enough to go on given that this guy has fucking reams of lore associated with him in past novels and sourcebooks. Glad they managed to boil his shit down to not even a sentence for me.
>>
>>52038986
Check out the Balm of the Summer Court feature from the Druid UA circle of dreams. Consider cribbing from that.
>>
I'm playing a Battle Master with the dual wielder feat, just hit level 4 and I have 16 dex. I'm torn between taking Mobile, Martial Adept, Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, or just the ASI.
>>
>>52039107
Get one of the weapon feats from the UA for whatever you're dual wielding.
>>
>>52038676
make egallia great again!
>>
If I have two daggers, and I throw one, can I throw the other as a two-weapon fighting bonus action?
>>
>>52039158
yes
>>
>>52039149
Blade mastery doesn't really add anything that useful unfortunately.
>>
>>52039197
>>52039197
>>52039197
>>
>>52039189
Darn. I guess an ASI, Mobile or the one that gives you an extra Superiority Die.
>>
>>52036509
>advantage on strength checks during rage
They can already wrestle and hogtie anything in the large size category with their eyes close. In fact if you can persuade someone to cast enlarge on you you can wrassle dragons and giants with ease, which is pretty funny. They get reckless attack, and if you can pick up the fell handed feat from UA you can make pretty good use of that in a way other classes can't. Reckless attack might not be named a "fighting style", but its got a little more depth than most of the fighting styles anyway.
>>
>>52038906
Right. I assume domain and tradition are both archetypes.
>>
>>52039030
>doesn't tell you anything substantive about who those Gods are

how would WotC know anything about what deities are at your game table?

>that's totally enough to go on

That sort of garbage exalts one setting over another and belongs in campaign specific books.
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.