[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 383
Thread images: 25

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Ravenloft Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>52031717
>>
>>52039197
>Ravenloft Edition
>No question
Shit thread famalam.
>>
>homebrew warlord
please help, I need feedback. Only complete through level 10.
http://pastebin.com/s9ZBAzRK
>>
What's a good reason to have the PC's trapped in a small country for the first few levels? Knowing my players, if I give them the slightest chance they'll run off to other places I haven't made maps for yet.
>>
>>52039257
stuff to do in that country?
>>
>>52039230
>"shitting on OP" meme
>not contributing to the thread
Shit post, famalam.
>>
>>52039262
There is. My players will ask about other areas and if I mention a single thing outside of the area they'll run halfway across the world though, they have an obsession with leaving places within hours and it makes it near impossible to get a story line with recurring NPC's or a reason behind all this stuff.
>>
>>52039252
Tactical Advance should recharge on a long rest only.
>>
>>52039281
Have something enticing in town that will require them to be there for some time, during which time something from the past might come up to harass them, at which point they'll now have to be forced to stay and deal with that thing while waiting for the first thing, which they'll have been manipulated into not going without.
>>
File: foolishfools.jpg (38KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
foolishfools.jpg
38KB, 704x396px
>>52039257
>running a campaign without having fleshed out the entire continent first
>>
>>52039257
the only bridge out of the country is closed until they hit the right plot flag
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg

Some recent 5e news:
- No UA on Monday.
- Perkins and Crawford showed Eberron's original design docs at ECCC, it was originally called "Meridia." Perkins said not to look too deep into them presenting this at the con.
- At a panel at ECCC some WotC people said that there were multiple full classes (plural) being worked on for future UAs. At the same panel, they said they've been actively scouting talent on DMs Guild.
- September is the release month for the adventure that Pendleton Ward (of Adventure Time) worked on, codename "Dust."
- There is an adventure this year coming out revolving around FR's Ring of Winter artifact and its current owner. Whether or not that is the September adventure is yet to be seen.
- There are four listings for unnamed RPG accessory books by WotC on Amazon, one for June ($10), July ($15), September ($20), and October ($25). These all have ISBN numbers and their prices have preorder guarantees on them, so they are books of some sort for sure. Outside of the September book (which is weirdly priced for an adventure book), no idea what most of them are.
>>
>>52039197
Speaking of Raveloft, here's a question:

If you were DM, would you allow someone to run Simon Bugbear?
>>
>>52039311
I like to kinda build it as I go. I have about half the continent done so far, but I don't have a powerlevel like the guy who needed map names.

>>52039317
Basically a more believable version of this is what I'm gonna try. Maybe it's a mountainy area and there's a plague in the one neighbouring country?
>>
>>52039281
maybe just like, have that be the only country or place on the planet. like the whole planet is just a hawaii sized island in a sea of nothingness.
>>
File: Iliira 01.png (536KB, 686x963px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira 01.png
536KB, 686x963px
…God damnit, /tg/, you’re gonna think I’m making shit up, but I’m not. I basically just solo’d another dragon. An Ancient White in this case.

1/3

Yeah, it’s me again. The guy with the CG drow elf thief named Iliira, who at the time of this story is level 14.

Okay, long story short: Rise of Tiamat, final dungeon (I think), found the big ol’ horde that the Cult of the Dragon was gathering. Two of the party members had wandered off elsewhere while myself, the party’s Undying warlock/Way of shadow monk, and an NPC paladin named Sir Isterval remained behind in the treasure chamber, looting for supplies and, well, loot.

Now, my character has been bragging up and down the Sword Coast that she killed Arauthator, an Adult white dragon, earlier in the campaign. Turns out Arauthator had a mate…who was an Ancient white dragon (CR 20), and was lying in wait inside the treasure pile for me to get close. I eventually did so, she rose up and proclaimed how she’s going to kill me a lot.

The warlock/monk fucked off, first of all, leaving me and Sir Isterval to die. The ancient white dragon breath weapon’d me and Sir Isterval, dealing immense damage to both of us. Also got a tail swipe in against Sir Isterval, and basically he was reduced to less than half hit points, as was I. Between the two of us, we’d done *maybe* 40 damage. Maybe.

I did not anticipate surviving at all (for that matter, I wasn’t certain that even if all 5 of us were around to fight the dragon, it’d be enough). But, when I wrote Chaotic GOOD on my character sheet, I meant it. I wasn’t going to let this dragon kill Sir Isterval or any of my friends and party members if I could help it. Nor that warlock/monk bitch. Certainly not while Tiamat still needed to be stopped.
>>
>>52039327
I'd mandate it along with the rest of his monstrous PC pals, Gob Danasty the Goblin Rogue, Ssssypha Belnadesss the Yuan-ti Wizard, and Alucaw the Kenku Warlock.
>>
File: dragonWhite.jpg (77KB, 1000x511px) Image search: [Google]
dragonWhite.jpg
77KB, 1000x511px
>>52039348
2/3

I’ll direct you to the DMG, which says that putting a bag of holding inside of some other extradimensional container results in a one-way portal to the Astral that pulls in everything with 10 feet of it. Which the dragon was. And it does not allow a save. And it does not have a size limit. It just happens.

Now I’ve been here awhile, and none of you believed me last time I said I killed a dragon essentially by myself, and the more I go into the battle the less you’re going to believe me. Suffice to say four things:

1) Because of the rogue’s ability to Dash as a bonus action, and because in the Astral I gain a movement speed of 45 feet/round (thanks to a 15 Intelligence). The dragon has a fly speed of 80 feet. This means that my full movement (135 ft with a Move and two Dashes) or even just a move and a Dash (90 ft.) is far enough that the dragon has to double-move to catch up to me, meaning all she could do was a Legendary action attack.

2) I had a silver horn of Valhalla, and used it once in the Astral to summon 8 Berserkers, who swiftly climbed onto the dragon, granting them Advantage on attack rolls (as per the DMG, pg. 271, climbing on a bigger creature). This had the happy side effect of making any attack I make against the dragon a Sneak Attack.

3) I have the Mobile feat, which means that as long as I make a melee attack against something (doesn’t even have to hit), it doesn’t get an opportunity attack against me if I move out of its threatened squares

4) The dragon was just incapable of recharging its breath weapon due to dumb luck. The DM rolled the d6 openly each time and kept getting between 1 and 4, and it doesn’t recharge except on 5 or 6.

So, yeah. You won’t believe me. You’ll call it bullshit. But it happened.
>>
So far has anyone here seen or made any good homebrew tiny races, or monk archetype variants?

Does anyone here have any ideas for expanding the 'generic' ki repertoire beyond Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, and Step of the Wind? Attacks, buffs, spell-like abilities, that sort of thing?
Like spending 1 ki to temporarily gain the ability to walk up water or walls, for example.
>>
>>52039356

You just won at D&D. How do you feel?
>>
>>52039337
Underground tunnels lead everywhere in the planet and are heavily populated by other races. Entire planet's a mega dungeon with the one surface land being a myth that everyone's trying to find.

This could be a cool game trying to get up from a mega dungeon rather then down.
>>
What does low-light even do?
>>
>>52039362
3/3

Take heart, at least, in the fact that this has functionally removed Iliira from the campaign. The Astral Portal is explicitly one-way and cannot be re-opened anyway. Iliira isn’t dead, but she can’t contribute anymore, and for the remaining few sessions I’ll be taking over Sir Isterval for combat purposes, though the DM retains control over him for any roleplay purposes.

It was still as badass an ending as I could have possibly hoped for the character.

Also very glad that she's not dead, as I have a plan for when I DM Storm King's Thunder - namely, the entire campaign is going to be a story that the PCs are telling in a tavern, decades after the fact. I had planned for the tavern to be Iliira's, as her backstory has her having been raised by a human tavern owner.

Now she has something pretty boss to mount over the fireplace...
>>
>>52039380
Disadvantage on sight-based Perception checks to notice things in it.
>>
>>52039363
>Like spending 1 ki to temporarily gain the ability to walk up water or walls, for example.
You mean that thing monks already get for free at level 9?
>>
>>52039363

I personally would like to see something like feats that give other classes access to Ki if ti's going to be the only way to allow you to punch things things.

THen again, feats that partially emulate other classes would go a long way to customizeing your character without multi-classing.
>>
>>52039362
Oh, sorry, just realized I was unclear on something: My character has had two bags of holding for some time now, and I checked with my DM before doing this as to whether or not the space inside of a Bag of Holding counts as etradimensional space. According to him, it does. Thus, Astral Portal, no save.
>>
>>52039399
Didn't 4e have something like that? A feat that gave you something from another class so people didn't need to Multi-class.
>>
What ever happen to Megaanon's DMs Guild Trove?
>>
>>52039394
Ah fuck, I forgot that was under Unarmored movement, my bad.

But still, I'd like some more monk options that are kind of vanilla, but still add to the whole repertoire.
>>
>>52039373
Like the cover art is already done.
>>
>>52039425
Original Mega account got DMCA'd one too many times, took down the main trove and the DMs Guild one along with it. DMs Guild wasn't worth the trouble of reuploading.
>>
Wait, so no UA tomorrow? Is it delayed till next week?
>>
>>52039469
Correct. Probably because both Mearls and Crawford went to ECCC this weekend.
>>
>>52039327
I still can't believe my DM's letting me play a Bugbear Ranger who can use Whirlwind Attack up to my weapon's reach.
>>
>>52039469
Does the Traps Revisited one not count? Genuine question.
>>
>>52039478
Shit, I was looking forward to more options before I'm supposed to play in another game.

>>52039485
Wasn't that last week?
>>
Looking for some creative torture methods. I've got the magical water boarding down but it's getting a bit stale. Any creative ways to go about getting info out to my captives?
>>
File: 1488577944165.jpg (32KB, 750x561px) Image search: [Google]
1488577944165.jpg
32KB, 750x561px
Is there a particular spell that prevents creatures from teleporting into its area? Especially one that would affect a large area.
>>
>>52039522
Suspending them from the ceiling in a spherical room with several Gelatinous Cubes bouncing about at just below foot-level.
>>
>>52039257
Getting out of there would take multiple days easily.
>>
>>52039547
Oh shit, I hadn't explored what I could do with captive monsters. That's a pretty cool idea!
>>
>>52039526
None that I can find in 5e, but you can probably homebrew one based on this from 3.5: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalAnchor.htm
>>
So are Primeval Rangers as fun as they look? I like the idea of being a highly mobile Dexterity Ranger who can turn into a fuck huge tough tree when in combat.
>>
>>52039526
Forbiddance.
>>
>>52039394
what feature are you talking about?
>>
>>52039559
Nothing gets fuckers talking like having their feet slowly eaten away over the course of a few days by acidic, nearly invisible slime cubes just barely grazing them.
>>
>>52039522
Have someone recite /5eg/ posts about theorycrafting builds and arguing power balance while using level 20 as a baseline.
>>
>>52039356
Fucking brilliant.
>>
>>52039197
>this pic
So how would you stat someone like Richter Belmont? Pure paladin or something else? Considering he - and all other Belmonts - dealt with Dracula (and his army of monsters, Death, AND Castlevania castle which is semi-sentient creature) all by himself, I think he would easile have level 20 even in the beginning.
>>
>>52039526
Forbiddance, hallow depending on how you choose to interpret "cannot enter", although it doesn't work on everything anyway.
>>
>>52039445
Excellent.
>>
File: Nuclear Druid.png (51KB, 1751x394px) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear Druid.png
51KB, 1751x394px
What's the current accepted Nuclear Druid build?

Last I saw it was Fighter 2/ Cleric 1/ Druid 17, but the Fighter part was for Action Surge and I'm pretty sure PHB says you can't cast two one-action spells in the same turn even with Action Surge. Plus I feel like I saw someone had found a way to amp up the damage further.
>>
>>52039743
Level 20 Factotum.
>>
>>52039754
>I'm pretty sure PHB says you can't cast two one-action spells in the same turn even with Action Surge.
That only applies if you cast a bonus action spell.
>>
>>52039363
My portfolio of shitty homebrew has two monastic traditions, though they are pretty strictly of the combatty kind.

Not saying that they're good, though.

No tiny races yet, but if you got something in mind, I can try making one. I'm bored out of my ass anyway.

I kind of would want to make Pixie or Sprite as a race, but if you got other ideas, do voice them. Would also appreciate ideas for how to even stat up tiny PCs, because hell if I know. Especially weaponwise.
>>
Are there any ways other then Wizard, Sorcerer or Duergar to gain the ability to cast Enlarge/Reduce?
>>
>>52039802
Eldritch Knight
>>
>>52039771
I mean, it's under the bonus action heading, but the exact wording is:

>You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

It makes it seem like you can't.
>>
>>52039809
Didn't even occur to me and it'll work perfectly. Thanks.
>>
>>52039812
It's almost like taking a single sentence entirely out of context makes things confusing!
>>
Are there any resources on what the Eladrin are like?

Just found them in the DMG and I want to play one. Only thing is I haven't even heard of them until now and I really don't want to make a character that I know nothing about culture-wise.
>>
>>52039858

The only thing I really know about Eladrin, was that they were basically the High Elves of 4e, and everyone picked them because they could teleport 30ft, once per encounter... which was game breaking in so many ways.
>>
Is Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight better for BB/GFB spam?
>>
>>52039882
Both are fine, but Arcane Trickster is a Rogue build and Rogues benefit more from either going dual wield or ranged, both of which preclude either BB or GFB.
>>
>>52039858
>>52039875
Unless someone tells you otherwise, use the 4e fluff. Elves are to humans as eladrin are to elves. They live in the feywils and are more graceful, more magical, and generally 'elfier' than other elves. This creates a sort of superiority complex and detatchment with the material plane.
>>
>>52039882
Eldrin Assassin Wizard for BB/GFB teleporting criticals.
>>
>>52039891
Eldritch Knights are great with BB/GFB until 4th level, then from 7th to 10th. Rogues only attack once per round anyway, so BB/GFB is essentially trading your second offhand chance for more damage on your single attack.
>>
>>52039197
Wish they gave us a Ravenloft CS, there's only so many times you can run through the same adventure.
>>
>>52039384
Your DM resolved the astral portal wrong, each creature goes to a random location, so everyone shouldn't have been near each other on the other side. At least I think that's how it works.
>>
Just an opinion, is this homebrew class too powerful?
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hellblazer_(5e_Class)#Ultimate_Con-Artist
>>
>>52040253
>dandwiki
idk probably but based off of where its hosted im not even going to bother looking
>>
>>52039882
AT is better because they get sneak attack on it as well...

But they are both outclassed by Swashbuckler rogues who grabbed the spells from either a Sorcerrer dip or magic initiate sorcerrer.
>>
>>52040253
>dandwiki
Overpowered or not, that website is shit and you shouldn't be using it.
>>
I hate most of the DnD races. The reason's not important.

How likely do you think I could get away with building a whole new race list and putting a posting up for a game with it?
>>
>>52040262
>>52040292
Got it
>>
>>52040298
You're probably not alone in your sentiment, so as long as you preface it very clearly as such, you should be fine.

The question is, are you gonna fluff and stat the races yourself, or are you just gonna refluff / reuse the existing races with a different coat of paint?
>>
is it possible to play as an Amazon in 5E? Would that count as a human derivative? If so, where in the DnD world would an Amazon hail from?
>>
>>52040356
Either human or a refluffed Goliath, if you want to play up the snu-snu/HUGE aspect of pop-culture amazons.

As to where they're from, that depends on the campaign setting, but an isolated tropical island would be pretty appropriate.
>>
>>52040356
ask your dm
in my campaign, sure, just roll a human, and we'll work something out. rando islands aren't hard to add to the ocean.
>>
I want to make a character that uses a long bow because Elf, but isn't a class that would normally use a bow.

Scratch off anything requiring UA. What would be the best option? Bard would seem like the obvious choice, because of the cheese access to Wild Quiver, but what about something like a Dragon Sorcerer? Ac13+Dex would make me 18 naked, which is fairly good from a defensive standpoint, and I would be surprised if I couldn't find a lot of solid spells to complement an archer style build.

Or am I completely stupid for doing this?
>>
>>52040328
Definitely fluff and stat. Figure anything that comes out to "not as good as a variant human" can get away with a lot. I don't really like the mechanical spread of the usual races or the flavour.
>>
>>52040467
>and I would be surprised if I couldn't find a lot of solid spells to complement an archer style build.

Prepare to be surprised then. The sorcerer doesn't do anything well, totally ordinary elemental spells are banned from their spell list for no reason.

Buffs are rare and hard to find.
>>
>>52040356
Variant human is definitely the best race in the game for 99% of PCs, and the best race for, you know... humans.
>>
>>52040505
This is why Variant humans should be skipped and replaced with everyone getting a free feat during character creation.
>>
>>52040509
I still think that everyone getting a free feat would do a lot to weaken Variant Humans, even if this means they start with 2.
>>
File: tumblr_o538pj00o61rmolp3o1_1280.jpg (389KB, 870x1223px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o538pj00o61rmolp3o1_1280.jpg
389KB, 870x1223px
>>52040467
>>52040495
well the good part about it is you can cast far spells and bonus action spells. so you can say bonus action thunderwave to get enemies off of you, then back up and shoot them or whatever. or bonus action shocking grasp an enemy to get away from you, then shoot them.
your damage output with a bow, however, won't be very good. you get flame arrows, but that kind of sucks, greater invisibility and haste are good, but would probably be better cast on someone else.
but i mean, if you want to do it, just go for it. i bet your dm will help you out. if you can, multi into the warlock that gets to smite with a bow from the UA. or if you're not sold on sorc, just do that warlock.
>>
File: new variant human.png (621KB, 711x613px) Image search: [Google]
new variant human.png
621KB, 711x613px
>>52040519
Honestly, I'd scrap everything about the phb human, including the variant, and use this for any given game - feats or no.
>>
>>52040544
hate it to be honest. why would humans just get to use proficiency on random things once per rest, and then just forget how to do them?
>>
>>52039197
I've been considering using Ravenloft as the framework for a more Castlevania-inspired adventure, but two things kinda stand in my way.

1) Raveloft lacks the design complexity of Dracula's castle with its underground cemetaries and gladiatorial arenas and clock towers and portions built out of bones... And I'm terrible at mapping.

2) If I'm doing Castlevania, I gotta throw in Legion/Granfalloon but there's nothing I can really "reskin" to work as that unique abomination...

Any tips, ideas or suggestions oneither of those fronts?
>>
>>52040519
>I still think that everyone getting a free feat would do a lot to weaken Variant Humans

An unambiguous good thing. It would reduce them to be "merely" the top tier choice for... virtually every build in the entire game. The poor babies, having to suffer through the horror of being generalists that are as good as every specialist.

Anyway, you know that free feat are just a normal thing DMs can award players for story or quest things, just like magic items, right? I'm planning on awarding a total of 3 bonus feats the first 10 levels (1 at level 1 by the end of the first session, 1 at level 2, and probably one at 10), both to bring them up to speed with flawed 3e and 4e chars, and to hopefully kick them to the desirability of a normal race.
>>
>>52040558
How about "they try real hard." Same bonus, roughly, as the hobgoblin, with the same flavor, except for hobgoblins, they try real hard because "I can't look bad in front of the first year students!"
>>
>>52040544
The ABI makes humans the best race for almost everything. The +2 ABI for a race should imo always be a fixed ability.
>>
File: 5eg anon reads the phb.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
5eg anon reads the phb.png
557KB, 700x483px
>>52040574
>I'm planning on awarding a total of 3 bonus feats the first 10 levels
>>
>>52040491
Sure, go ahead if you think you're up for it. Making races isn't especially hard, the template is pretty clear.

A thing to remember, though, when making original races (and discarding most PHB races save for human, probably) is that if you make one race too interesting, you might end up with a party full of them. And you gotta make the fluff and stats reflect and enforce some class choices, because people often make characters class first. That's why Human Fighters are so common, because Vhumans make the best Fighters with their feats.

>>52040568
Rip a megadungeon, like parts of Undermountain or something, fluff it as a castle. Voilà.
>>
>>52040596
Not at all, it just puts them on the same frikkin level of half elf bards, paladins, and ... those other guys I'd rather not mention but get multiclassed together a lot.

V-humans are already the best race for martial guys, and there is no great plague of half elf paladins & bards.
>>
>>52040611
Half elves are just good at CHA classes, maybe overly so. These Humans would be the default choice for every class. The added skills and once per rest proficiency really make it OP as fuck.
>>
>>52040574
Are these specific and not optimal feats, or are you just letting them do whatever?
>>
We're soon running the Ravenloft module/campaign. Anything I should prep on a new or existing character?
>>
>>52040634
>These Humans would be the default choice for every class.

They already are, and this would make them less so -- just making them a half elf for all seasons, and half elves are not even remotely the default choice for paladins etc.

>The added skills

Like half elves, but people aren't cuckold for half elf puffs, so...

>and once per rest proficiency really make it OP as fuck.

Its ability checks, not to hit or saves. Mildly questionable (is advantage on charm saves that great compared to humans getting the hobgoblin thing) but its weird to see people going crazy over a sub-vhuman race.
>>
>>52040648

The first two are do whatever, so they can do at level 2 what, featwise, they would normally only get at level 8. Always wanted to give more feets, but this is the first edition to have that be just a normal kind of reward in addition to stuff like magic gear, so I feel clean about so doing.
>>
>>52040667
So why would you ever run a Half-Elf? The overlap between the two is now too high. Since thematically they are not that far apart in the first place.
>>
>>52040699
Well, as long as you're playing something that Half-Elf stats line up with, it's arguably a better choice. You lose Adaptability, but gain darkvision, advantage v. charm, immunity to sleep, and one extra language.
>>
>>52040699
I probably wouldn't. Not the guy who posted it, just putting forth for the sake of the argument. Though to be sure, the difference between half elf and this human is far less than the difference between vhuman and everybody else.

So... is the hubub really about 3 16s, 2 8s, and 1 10 vs 3 16s and 3 9s of the default human, or is it specifically the former plus the two skills and free floating proficiency, or is it more that half elfs would be the vhuman replacement (for cha dudes) with vhumans?
>>
File: chasme1.jpg (82KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
chasme1.jpg
82KB, 500x633px
>>52040709
>immunity to sleep

Well, magical sleep, which isn't that common. You are still brutally raped to sleep by chasmes, and then woken up with 22d6+4 jewjitsu attacks. But yeah, darkvision + charm advantage + immunity to a now mehish spell is nice.
>>
>>52040709
Then a new human design should offer a more unique experience. Current Variant Human is at least unique. I'd argue that new feats that are good for non-martials would be a better solution.

Half-Elf is a bit OP at the moment, but I'd also say that too many casters use CHA. I honestly think the current variant human is pretty fine. It's a very excellent choice for non-mad classes. Current feat selection is a bit sparse for non-martials but that is imo not a bad thing.
>>
>>52040747
>I honestly think the current variant human is pretty fine.

Well yeah, in the sense that winged tieflings and revenants are.

I have legitimately no concept of how someone could view half elves as OP but be okay with vhumans.
>>
>>52040747
I'd like to see a list of non-martial feats that are offered for free to all classes by default at first level, then scrap V. Human or say they can have two of those.

It would add a nice level of extra characterisation from the start if one player was good at impersonating voices while another had a knack for darting up and over small hills without effort, or something like that. Non-martial feats get such a minimal look-in because ASI is so much better in most cases.
>>
>>52040747
>>52040756
The problem isn't that v.humans are overpowered - they're fairly balanced when compared to other races in a vacuum.

The problem is that, since feats are assumed to be a part of many builds (remember, feats are a variant rule in 5e), getting one for free makes them a no-brainer for almost any build. You lose out on some QoL stuff and potentially higher stats, but getting your build off the ground at level 1 rather than 4 is really valuable. As an example, I convinced my group to move from Pathfinder to 5e for a bit. They ended up enjoying themselves, but when I explained how feats worked now, 5 out of the 6 players were wanting to play variant humans. I like parties of freaks and wierdos, so I said no, and they diversified a lot - one of them even played a dwarf for the first time in years.
>>
>>52040756
V humans are not that great for almost all casters, and mad classes imo.

Too versatile races make them the default choice. Every class that uses CHA is good with being a half-elf. Four classes might as well just go with Half Elf since a 'better' choice is not really apparant. Furthermore, Half-Elves are also incredibly versatile from a roleplaying standpoint, and don't have any disadvantages like Drow or Tieflings (if you have a good DM tieflings should be at a disadvantage imo)
>>
>>52040785

The anecdote demonstrating that even Pathfinder players can almost immediately figure out vhumans aren't "fairly balanced" kinda shows otherwise...
>>
So my Circle of the Land(Coast) druid is a spirited sprightly girl. What nautical support and Utility spells should I give her?
>>
How's this for a magical weapon?

>While touching the weapon, a creature can use a bonus action and expend a 3rd level slot to charge it for 1 minute.
>While charged, it is a +1 spear that deals an additional 1d4 lightning damage, and it's unstable.
>You take 1 lightning damage at the start of each of your turns while holding it, and if you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll with it, it delivers a violent discharge and ceases to be magical, dealing 3d10 damage to you and every creature within 10ft, DC 13 Dexterity save for half.
>You can use your action to cast lightning bolt (Save DC 13), at which point the spear ceases to be magical.
>>
>>52040784
Isn't that what the backgrounds are for at the moment?
>>52040804
>anecdote
Got your problem right there
>>52040785
But at least feats are only good for certain classes, while universal ABI is always amazing for any class. A +2 ABI should always be fixed for a race. That at least makes it a more limited bonus.
>>
>>52040822
surfer girl*
>>
>>52040803
>V humans are not that great for almost all casters

War caster is mandatory for shield using casters, spell sniper is likewise utterly amazing if you use minis/tokens/whatever, or at least someone wants to poke people with Booming Blade.

>if you have a good DM tieflings should be at a disadvantage imo

Well there's more good demihuman varieties than neutral ones, and some would argue that being hostile and racist to people isn't compatible with a good alignment, plus it depends on how mean civilized people are in your setting. Some people have already ran all the X-Men campaigns they want, and even X-Men writers get tired of the persecution angle sometimes.
>>
>>52039334
Shipwrecked on an island. The island is mostly surrounded by rocky hills, making it near impossible to leave but by an official port, which all charge heavily for usage.
All trade and therefore travel is put on hold pending an investigation into the recent shipwreck.
>>
File: Human Variant V2.jpg (61KB, 375x458px) Image search: [Google]
Human Variant V2.jpg
61KB, 375x458px
>>52040747
Whazzam!

I tried. Still can't make Wizards in heavy armor at 1st level, but your weapon options are much better now that any class can basically take any single martial weapon of their choice, if they so please.
>>
>>52040872
I am morbidly curious to see whether martials would take this or vhuman... probably still vhuman.
>>
>>52040900
Bonus armor and weapon proficiencies are 'better' than skills in most games, but they're most valuable to classes that don't already get them - and martials are given most of the proficiency they need. It'd make a good bladelock though.
>>
>>52040872
I like the extra proficiencies, not too sure how good it would be however since a subclass (should) always give you the right tools you'd need to play that gamestyle. But I think it's a better way to reflect the diversity of humans and opens up doors for more interesting characters from a RP perspective.

Isn't two +2 ABI against the guidelines Wizard outlined in their race creation overview? I think it's too powerful
>>
>>52040922
>Isn't two +2 ABI against the guidelines Wizard outlined in their race creation overview?
Tell that to mountain dwarves.
>>
>>52040922
>Isn't two +2 ABI against the guidelines Wizard outlined in their race creation overview? I think it's too powerful

Normally I would say its not terribly amazing, except this is "Mountain Dwarf With Abilities That People Who Can Use The Armor Actually Want."

Hm, is there any class that unironically likes to use the str and con increases of a mountain dwarf and the armor? The only thing I can think of that isn't super bizarre would be a str rogue, which probably sucks.
>>
>www.strawpoll.me/12466636

Funny that the Path of the Zealot is so popular, considering its gimmick of I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN.
>>
>>52040930
>Tell that to mountain dwarves.
Oh

But at least they are both fixed. And all their stuff is basically forcing them into a martial playstyle.
>>
>>52040842
>Isn't that what the backgrounds are for at the moment?
Nothing to stop there being an extra level of customisation.
>>
>>52040900
Well, getting a good feat like GWM or PAM at 1st level is still better than getting two additional skill or tool proficiencies, for Fighters especially.

But it works if you want to make more niche builds, such as a longbow or heavy crossbow -wielding Rogue (Sniper basically), Bladelocks as said by >>52040920, Heavy Armor Barbs etc.

>>52040922
The counterbalance is that they don't get that much else, so it balances out IMO, also, mountain dwarves. The V2 human is still noticeably weaker than Mountain dwarves, due to them getting
>resilience
>darkvision
>combat training
>light and medium armor prof for free
>>
So I might want to start DMing for the first time soon but I don't really know how to deal with downed players. Should enemies know that players aren't actually dead yet when they're making death saves? Should make them roll perception on it or something?
>>
I don't why you guys are making such a fuss of this. This (>>52040544) human is fine. If you really want to balance it for the power of choosing where to put a +2, make their extra proficiency tools instead of skills. Or one tool and one skill.
>>
>>52040993
Thanks Mike
>>
>>52040988
Generally speaking, unless the eneny is specifically trying to kill a target (like a PC got some assassins sent after them), they're going to focus on the characters that are still up. Once everyone is down (for a minimum of 3 rounds, barring outside intervention), then they can finish them off. At least that's how I'd do it.
>>
>>52040988
Well, downed characters are incapacitated, meaning they are not really priority targets compared to that guy who's still swinging that axe dangerously close to your face.
>>
>>52040967
>The V2 human is still noticeably weaker than Mountain dwarve

Noticeably stronger, you mean. V2 human is essentially just mountain dwarf but with stats that benefit casters.

>light and medium armor prof for free

You got a lot of chutzpah claiming this when the light armor part is almost always wasted on anything that can use the stats, and v2 human is tailor made to give favorable stats to casters.
>>
>>52040988
A round is 6 seconds, enemies aren't gonna have time to notice the PCs aren't dead yet. D&D combat is a flash of movement.
>>
>>52040988
Most enemies will try to deal with living threats first (even if this is against their actual interests, it makes for a better game). There are a few exceptions to this, however: a more bestial or hungry creature, like a wolf or a ghoul, might drag an unconscious PC away from battle to eat it, rather than try and attack others.

On the other end of the spectrum an intelligent enemy (like most BBEGs and their lieutenants should be) will know of the whole up-and-down game and may try to put a character down for good if they have the chance. Don't use this lightly and all the time, though, because it's a great tool to up the stakes in a fight, but it can be stressful if overdone.
>>
>>52041013
I didn't really make it with that in mind, but anything in particular I could do to make that less of a case? I really just blurted that out so I'm not trying to claim it to be perfect.

Bladelock is one of my favorite archetypes so it might have been subconscious.
>>
>>52041004
Mike?
>>
>>52041036
>I didn't really make it with that in mind, but anything in particular I could do to make that less of a case?

I thought this shit was pure satire and I was feeling like a chump for seriously replying, a parody of the other human's similarity to being half elf but better by making a race that is mountain dwarf but better.

>Making it so it can't be used for armor would be a good compromise, because its bananas.

Specifically, it takes the most interesting and head scratching element of the mountain dwarf (abilities and proficiencies that are at odds with each other) and just... lets you get perfect stats to capitalize on it.
>>
>>52041051
Merals, the guy whose dick is in the mouth of everyone who is okay with fighters getting suspension of disbelief breaking shit like "I can only move super fast once per day!"
>>
>>52041076
Fuck off, Virt.
>>
File: V2 Human edition 2.22.2.jpg (66KB, 396x478px) Image search: [Google]
V2 Human edition 2.22.2.jpg
66KB, 396x478px
>>52041066
Well, here is a nerfed version. It was indeed not a joke, I'm trying to contribute here.

ABI is 2 + 1
Only one "super" proficiency, and another for a skill or tool.
>>
File: (((merals))).jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
(((merals))).jpg
12KB, 240x240px
>>52041081
I wonder who could be behind this post?
>>
>>52041076
How is that in any way related to what I said?
>>
>>52041085

The armor proficiency idea is entirely terrible, there is already a mountain dwarf and I don't get the appeal of trying to steal their schtick and make it better.
>>
>>52041106
Mike Merals. You know, the guy half of the people in here fellates, who added cuntboys to 5e, etc.?
>>
>>52041110
The idea is to just give one super-proficiency so people have more choices to play what they want. And they get only one super-proficiency, so, at worst, you have medium armor bladelocks, light armor wizards, heavy armor barbs... You know, relatively non-broken stuff. And if they wanted, hell, they could do this build exactly with the old Vhuman, by taking the feat for it. But removing the feat makes them noticeably less OP, because realistically, what wizard would take light armor prof when they can just use Mage Armor and take Spell Sniper etc. instead.
>>
>>52041115
is this your idea of a meme

its not good
>>
>>52041115
>added cunboys to 5e
Corellon has always been a hermaphrodite, he's the fucking God of Elves.
>>
>>52041076
>>52041097
>>52041115

Why are you mispelling his surname?
>>
>>52041115
I still fail to understand how Mike Mearls and your dislike for him are related to my opinion on the homebrewed human.
>>
>>52041132
>The idea is to just give one super-proficiency so people have more choices to play what they want.

Making a race that has a pretty basic flavor into something that fighters, rogues in general (narrow band in which breastplate would be useful tho), wizards, and life clerics shun but that is crazy good for medium armor clerics and barbarians, very off.
>>
>>52041167
Of those, fighters are actually the only one who don't gain anything from the super-proficiency.

Rogues can become snipers (as I said in a previous post).
Wizards can get a rapier or hand crossbow as a backup weapon.
Life clerics can get martial weapons, e.g greatswords, battleaxes, fricking flails, if they want.

Weapon proficiencies are a thing famalam. And tool proficiencies can be used for various things for character flavor. Hell, a fighter can use poisoned weapons if he so pleases.
>>
>>52041009
>>52041010
>>52041019
>>52041034
Thanks! So I'll just leave them be most of the time. I doubt we'll go anywhere near a BBEG anytime soon.

Should a BBEG use Magic Missile to finish downed players in one turn or is that too much of a dick move?
>>
>>52041219
Yes, interpreting magic missile as 3 distinct damage sources and not just one, while a stone giant hitting them with a boulder would only be one, is a bit of a dick move.
>>
>>52041219
Magic missile is pretty much a dick move, although I would count that only as a one attack, because jesus christ that is a party pooper.

>GM: Aight Jim, you take 22 damage
>J: Aww shit, I'm down
>GM: One of the wizards uses magic missile, giving the three hits automatically, no save, you're dead
>J: What the fuck man?
>>
>>52040841
just have the paladin cast elemental weapon/10
>>
When will Wizards remake 4e?
>>
File: 1471054857378.jpg (37KB, 564x779px) Image search: [Google]
1471054857378.jpg
37KB, 564x779px
What should I make with pic related?
>>
So does Evocation Wizard have anything going for it? I never see it played but I kinda want to play a classic blaster with only some support spells for once.
>>
>>52041270
Forge Cleric.
>>
File: blacksmith.jpg (234KB, 1273x2000px) Image search: [Google]
blacksmith.jpg
234KB, 1273x2000px
>>52041270
Forge cleric?
>>
>>52041270
Forge Cleric
>>
File: gif-7.gif (746KB, 450x217px) Image search: [Google]
gif-7.gif
746KB, 450x217px
Is pic related a modern day phoenix sorc?
>>
>>52041277
You're better off with Sorcerer for blasting.
>>
>>52041279
>>52041281
>>52041292
Not artificer or hammer wizard?
>>
>>52040568
Ravenloft is a lot more than just Barovia. Make up your own Dread Domain that fits your needs. Not everything in Ravenloft is connected to the The Core. I'm not sure there is an already lored out region that fits Castlevania.

As far as Legion/Granfalloon goes... I've never played more than the first Castlevania, so I looked it up. In one game it looks like some kind of Beholder that surrounds itself in Zombies/Ghouls. If I were doing it I'd try and modify the Beholder to fit Legion.
>>
>>52041277
That's the thing, spell damage is very, very weak in 5e, with the added insult of lower leveled monsters having much higher HP, so direct damage casters are primarily about softening up large groups of weaker foes.

Whether they are useful is up to the DM, but I'll warn you, many DMs lust primarily after the super tough monsters, not droves of weaklings.
>>
>>52041307
He's referring to the Ravenloft module.
>>
>>52041306
Artificers are bad and about making tiny magical trinkets. Nothing about her seems wizardly either.

She looks like she could be any sort of martial class but if you really want to go with the blacksmith theme, Forge Cleric it is.
>>
>>52041308
So there's not many single target fuck-you spells anymore? Shame. Their level 10 and Magic Missile works pretty well though right?
>>
>>52041345
I know of no point in the game where zapping one person was great for 9/9 casters.

Searing Ray is also decent (6d6 as a 2nd level spell slot)
>>
File: V2 Human edition 2.22.3.jpg (99KB, 789x642px) Image search: [Google]
V2 Human edition 2.22.3.jpg
99KB, 789x642px
>>52041085
Now with 100% more pictures.

There was a typo in the last version.
>>
>>52039323
So this week?
>>
No UA this week?
>>
>>52040841
I have my doubts that it is ever worth using.
>Uses a third level spell slot
>Does 1d4 lighting damage and is a +1 weapon
>1 Lighting damage on each turn
>On a crit miss you take 3d10 lightning damage.
Assuming that it takes you 20 attacks to have a crit fail on average, you attack every turn, and hit on a 10+. Over the course of 20 turns you will
>Take an average of 35.5 damage over those turns
>Deal an average of 35 damage over a non-magical weapon
>Lose a spell slot for your trouble

What I would do to balance it out is to give it a sort of pseudo smite ability on crits. Eg.
>When a critical hit is rolled the weapon does 1d8 lightning damage instead and the player can expend a spell slot adding 1d8 lightning damage for each level of the spell slot used
So if you crit with it you could spend a 3rd level spell slot to do 4d8 lightning damage. I figure that since it is dependent on luck it wouldn't take anything away from a paladin in the party but would still balance out the 3d10 lightning damage on a crit fail.
>>
>>52041380
>>52041397
Next UA is on the 13th.
>>
which race is most analogous to the Klingon

ie race of prideful brute warriors who value personal honor above all else
>>
>>52041417
Hobgoblins.
>>
>>52040988
I generally have animals and non-sentient enemies ignored downed PCs unless they have a reason but sentient enemies will attempt to coup de gras downed PCs.
>>
Well my party of 5, level 4's just completely buttfucked a young green dragon while running them through LMoP.

They tried talking to him at night and while talking the Duergar Primeval Ranger sneaked up behind him, surprised him and he used his tree form and then casted Enlarge on himself. He grappled it, shoved it prone the next round and then his poison resist, a shield of faith and temp HP kept him safe long enough for the rest of the party to murder the fuck out of it.

Feels a little low level to kill it completely.
>>
>>52041345
>>52041277
Ironically, the best use of the evoker is probably in killing other casters. Large groups of underleveled casters are very tough to borderline impossible to deal with, without serious AoE.
>>
>>52041453
Alright does the School choice actually matter much I can I go normal Wizard until the few rare times I need to Fireball/Disintegrate/Lightning bolt shit?
>>
>>52041469
Some schools are miles better than others.

For example, Divination with Portent, Abjuration with Arcane Ward and, if UA is allowed, Lore Mastery with... Everything ever.
>>
>>52041469
Not at all, enjoy.

What you should keep an eye out is for the Concentration keyword. These spells are the big game changers, generally the best bang for your buck, and the most efficient use of your spell slots will be to, typically, use a Concentration based AoE debuffing spell on the enemy.

Evocation isn't bad, just trying to disable every fight through damage primarily is a bad move. I would debuff, play conservatively, and then spooge out a ton of damage when you absolutely need to.
>>
>>52041448
This is exactly what happened with our party as well, although the grappler was a bear-barian.
>>
>>52041497
Kinda felt like the Dragon needed a little more to stop someone grappling it, though it was nice to see grappling used for once.
>>
>>52041490
Portent is a bit gimmicky, especially considering most things you want that desperately to disable can capriciously pass saves whenever they feel like it and will probably be dead before they run out of saves.
>>
>>52041490
Maybe I should have specified that the features vary in usefulness a lot, rather than the archetypes itself.

Wizards are still pretty much the reigning emperors of spell utility, no matter what school you pick.
>>
>>52041513
Doesn't change the fact that you can make big spells and attacks go awry, give the occasional crit to an ally... Saving throw immunity is a bitch, so using Portent for it (even though it is the /5eg/ meme way of using it) is actually not the best way to use it.
>>
>>52041544
Yeah, its definitely decent, and helps them work as buffers/debuffers.

Like evokers being great at obliterating fragile caster foes, invisible/undetectable enemies are really quite good at doing horrible things to PCs, and so the scouting/advance warning element of the diviner is really quite good. But most DMs won't use dark templar rushes on the PCs, so some elements are not as important.
>>
>>52041599
>>52041513
Portent is mostly a good way to avoid getting screwed by a bad roll. I know it's a meme build, but a Halfling Diviner with Lucky will essentially never roll badly, unless they never sleep.

It means they can temporarily tank, guarantee hits, stuff like that. It's less a boss killer and more like WD40 for the party.
>>
>>52041378
Allright, I'm this faggot and I'm relatively bored.

That one anon asked whether anyone has done tiny races, so I'm thinking of making either Sprite or Pixie. Pixies can't use weapons (by MM rules, and I tend not to stray too far away from the MM), which kind of sucks, but Pixies are cuter and get innate spellcasting. Hmm...
>>
>>52041629
Although, now that I'm at it, why not both? What would be a good umbrella term for both of them?

Fey is a little too broad. Fairy doesn't exist as a D&D word, but maybe?
>>
What is the best way to keep a big monster docile for milking venom?
>>
>>52041673
Hold Monster?
Maybe Speak With Animal, you can sometimes get a favour out of them.
>>
>>52041664
It kinda does, but is spelt faerie instead.
>>
>>52041683
I am unsure whether that is actually an adjective for fae-like rather than a synonym for fairy, so I'm a little hesitant to use it.
>>
>>52041717
>>52041664
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fey

They all come under Fey and Faerie, there's no distinguishing from larger ones.
>>
>>52041800
Allright, good to know.

Now working on those rules for tiny creatures. Oh boy.
>>
>>52040544
Never seen this, but I already do this, aside from Adaptability which I think is dumb anyway.
>>
Anyone have any cool ideas for a character? Mechanics or fluff wise I don't care

just thought there would be some of you out there who never get to play with ideas
>>
What's a good way to convey power like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHzquKS3PCU but without killing the PCs themselves and without them just immediately attacking and getting stomped?

>>52041932
I would love to play an actual assassin, where most of the campaign is just fantasy Hitman and I get to actually spend time researching the target, working out where the best place to hit them is, and then springing a trap.
>>
>>52041378
Basically any race suited to whatever class you're playing but worse except has maybe better armour proficiency because there's literally not reason to play it other than for armour proficiency.

Which kind of defeats the point of having humans as generally good for all classes when now they're only really good for light armour classes that want medium armour or to get shield proficiency.
>>
>>52041948
Getting more tool and weapon proficiencies might be a bigger factor than you think. People often have elaborate ideas of how characters operate, but wait, shit, they can't get that one proficiency they really need to bring their idea together.

Like a wizard wielding a longsword, a rogue that prefers sniping their opponents, a fighter who specializes in poisoning their weapons.

And yes, if we're looking at builds, it's a lot weaker than other specialized options. But normal people don't give a rat's ass about builds. They want the rogue who is proficient with shields for whatever reason. Maybe it's a Swashbuckler who uses a... Buckler?

That's pretty hilarious. Swashbucklers can't use bucklers RAW, because they're not proficient with shields.

So I admit. It's not as good for builds, but it's excellent for making the character you imagined.
>>
So someone was sperging out over Arcane Tricksters being able to outdo both the thief and assassin.

Can anyone explain how? What exactly makes them so much better? I am not really seeing it.
>>
>>52039378
Exile/Avernum?
>>
>>52042106
it's simple

Caster>Half Caster> No spells
>>
>>52042106
Arcane Trickster can use bonus action mage hand to use object like Healer's kit, JC confirmed. That pretty much stealing Thief's highlight class feature.

Assassin only get x2 damage on the first round of combat (and only when star align for them) while Arcane Trickster with Haste can get it every round.
>>
>>52041404
Who is ready for them to not release the mystic again?
>>
>>52042053
You seriously overvalue proficiency for reasons other than, maybe, getting a shield or light->medium armour.

Those are the only two things worth it.

Need a tool? Get it from backgrounds. Need a specific proficiency? Get it from backgrounds. Need more proficiencies? Literally every other race already gives you at least one proficiency in something, as well as all sorts of other features you're not giving human.

You've turned humans into 'Medium armour or shield proficiency when you don't want to be a mountain dwarf: the race'. And, typically, you don't need proficiency in a weapon you don't have proficiency in. Rogue wanting to use a longbow? Hand crossbow is easily better. Rogue wanting to use a whip? Shortswords would be better.
>>
>>52040599
I'm doing 4 bonus feats by level 20 at 1, 6, 11, and 16. Still deciding whether their capstones at 20 are enough and whether I should allow for epic levels past 20 should we ever get that far.
>>
>>52042154
Being able to supply your own haste isn't that amazing, especially considering the level which it becomes available at.

But yeah, it's still much better than assassin/thief.
>>
>>52039323
>- At a panel at ECCC some WotC people said that there were multiple full classes (plural) being worked on for future UAs.
Did they give hints?
>>
>>52039384
Ancient dragons have a wing attack legendary action that does an area attack and moves them half their speed. Even without that, it has more melee reach than you do so it doesn't have to move 90' to keep up with your dash attack. Though I don't know if normal flying works on the astral or just the brain based movement. And good-ish news is that the astral has portals to other planes, so your drow isn't trapped there, just lost. It takes 1d4x10 hours of searching to find a portal to a specific plane, normally. Plenty of time to die in a random encounter, then you're just lost in the material plane.
>>
>>52042108
my favorite setting to use as a GM, because it's not quite popular enough for my players to have encountered so I have assloads of content I can just lift from playing all the games.
>>
>>52042106
GFB+BB makes them the best melee choice, and if you want swashbuckler's melee abilities, just get fucking mobile.

Mage hand is just really useful, especially considering it's invisible.

The spells have a bunch of great utilities in themself. They even get features that do shit like 'Bonus action: Give yourself advantage' which has great synergy with GFB/BB.

Thief requires alot of fucking around with items to use properly, or level 17.
Assassin mostly just grants advantage on the first round of a combat, I honestly never see the crits coming into play. If you know what you're doing you can get the crits to work by murderhoboing about, though.
Swashbuckler is mostly invalidated by taking 'mobile' and having your teammates actually help get you sneak attack.
The other rogue archetypes aren't even worth mentioning.

Also find familiar and suchlike to grant yourself advantage without even using an action.

Yes, you can also get GFB+BB + find familiar with a feat, but that's only a part of all of it.

AT actually scales well with level, rather than getting half-assed middle level abilities.

>>52042189
Don't forget that if you haste yourself you can use haste's action to make an attack to sneak attack and then ready an action with your normal action to reaction attack outside of your turn for a second sneak attack. If I recall right that should work for ranged attacks, meaning you can just sit off to the side in saftey and sneak attack repeatedly.
>>
>>52039858
You take a high elf, give it ridiculous WoW elf ears, and make it's eyes one solid color.
>>
>>52040951
Rogue. Warlock, mainly. Nothing says delving too deep like a pact of the blade with your balrog patron.
>>
>>52041218
Dude, human fighters have to be a staple. It's the fighting man because it's human, after all.
>>
>>52041270
I was expecting at least one joke answer like sex, love, or babies.
>>52041279
>>52041281
>>52041292
You've impressed me this day, /5eg/.
>>52041306
>hammer wizard
And you've disappointed me.
>>
Fighter makeover guy from the last thread. I'm at work and can't edit anything right now, but what are some maneuvers that would be appropriate for the eldritch knight?
>>
>>52041673
KO them to 0 hp.
>>
So since most martials in my parten has gotten +1 Armors DM decided to invent +1 clothing my Monk can wherr to keep up. Is this allowable? Most Armors change your AC calculation. This +1 clothing just flat out bumps my AC up by one w/o attunement like ordinary +1 armors/weapons
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>52042217
>. It takes 1d4x10 hours of searching to find a portal to a specific plane,

Yeah, but but my character doesn't know that, and doesn't know what the portals mean in any event. My character is probably just going to hop into the first portal she sees.

Let's see what that theoretically could be...
>>
>>52042468
Oh joy.

Limbo.

Actually apparently that one is jet black. She's probably a wee bit smarter than that. Maybe.
>>
>>52042454
Check out "Bracers of Defense" in the DMG.
>>
>>52042246
IKR. Like, the mage's guild has opened a portal to Carceri. Again. You'd better go fix that before demons start spilling out of the tower.
>>
>>52042454
>Is this allowable?

If the DM says so, yes. Functionally it's just padded armor without the proficiency requirement.

Your monk shouldn't need to wear armor to keep up, though, not while he's adding Wisdom and Dexterity both to AC.
>>
>>52042482
That requires attunement though. Cloth +1 doesnt because +1 armors dont need attunement
>>
>>52042454
Its basically just slightly worse Bracers of Defense, so yeah.
>>
>>52042454

Seems legit to me. It helps keep you in-scale with other classes that are getting bonuses.

I mean, 4e literally just made 'Cloth' a class of armour and gave it to the non-armour classes like monks. It was a good decision IMO as it let those classes get something interesting defensively.
>>
>>52042477
You'd probably get ganked by githyanki pirates first anyway.
>>
>>52042496
Im at 18 AC 20 Dex 16 Wis. Othet Martials are at 21-23
>>
>>52042486
I thought portals to carceri were one-way. And wouldn't it be various theological/outsider prisoners as opposed to demons? I'd be more scared of the outsider Arkham Asylum than of any regular demon.
>>
So, off-hand comment because of last thread's lizardfolk. You can't dispel plant growth. It's instantaneous.
>>
>new campaign starting
>high magic setting
>no ideas for characters
give me some ideas guys
>>
>>52042526
>I thought portals to carceri were one-way.
Yes, and this one only goes from Carceri to the prime by way of the body and soul of the mage that made it. You'd really think that they'd know netter after the third time it's happened. They could at least keep a blessed athame around like a fire extinguisher.
>>
>>52042554
>Break glass in case of dumbass archmage
>>
Okay /5eg/, last night the party came across 100 gold No bully, we're only level 3
And I was thinking of getting a fancy way to travel.
What's the best I can afford for land vehicle?
>>
>>52042517
Well, first I'm going to spend an hour Short Resting on a dragon corpse, while my 6 remaining Berserkers keep me company and we talk about what is best in life. They'll stick around for the greater majority of that hour, so if I'm ambushed they can cover my escape.

(The two who fell are named Sven and Sven. The survivors are known as Sven, Sven, Sven (he's the leader), Sven, Sven, and Olaf (he's shorter, and also a chick, because I ran out of the male Mandalorian miniatures that I was using to represent the Svens)).

I'm out of healing potions, but I just now realized I forgot to use any Luck dice during my fight with the dragon, so that's good. Used up my darkness and the daily charge on my Dagger of Venom, but I still have faerie fire, three +1 daggers, the Dagger of Venom, and a Dragon-Tooth Dagger (+1) that deals a bonus 1d6 acid damage. I've also got some wealth still left in the form of jewelry my character wears, plus some coins and art objects (and potentially a magic item) floating around that were dragged into the Astral with me (sadly, the greater majority of my character's wealth and tchochkies are simply gone now thanks to both bags of holding being destroyed).

Monster Manual says that Githyanki are CR...3 for the warriors, or 8 for the knights.

I can take 'em. Maybe. At the least I might be able to fight well enough to drive them into retreat. Or maybe I'll get lucky and be able to barter for passage!

Or maybe I'll die. We'll see.

It's probably not something I'll find out during this campaign; like I sad, Iliira is for all intents and purposes out of the campaign and presumed dead.

MAYBE IF A CERTAIN WARLOCK/MONK HAD STUCK AROUND TO HELP...

The good side of that is that the warlock/monk fucking off, explicitly to a) save her own skin and b) because she doesn't like my character, caused the DM to say that she'd just completed her alignment shift from True Neutral to Neutral Evil. She's been hovering near Evil for the entire campaign.
>>
>>52042593
readnigga.jpg
Mounts and vehicles are in the PHB, on page 146. With 100g you can buy a carriage but no animals, or a wagon and draft horse, or a cart and a few mules.
>>
>>52042593
Depends on setting.

I quite like Eberron elemental carts.
>>
>>52042551
Martial(Mage Slayer feat) that hates magic
>>
>>52042551
A sorcerer runs a store for spell components is running into a snag, he keeps trying to use his spells to better his haggling so he can compete with the other stores, but when he does he has a bad habit of the excessive magic to turn into fireballs.

After the third time this has happened the insurance company for his store is telling him that's the last straw or they won't be covering him.

The Wild magic sorcerer is on a quest to better control his powers and get some sick deals.
>>
>>52042375
How about something like "Adaptive nature"?

It would give advantage if you're in a situation you've been in before or fighting an opponent you've faced before. Three uses per long rest.

Change the name of adaptibility to Versatility, of course.
>>
>>52042561
Other primo events include
>You find a dark tomb filled with loot, ghouls, and worse. The door only opens for a night, once a month. Enjoy your stay and try not to eat each other.
>Lizardfolk holy war/schism/coup.
>Dragon historian who loves cats.
>Awesomely powerful archmage with spies everywhere and a mundane name. No title.
>>
>>52042551
Halfling Diviner with Lucky feat. Always.
>>
Are dolphins the cutest wildshape my teen coastal druid can turn into?
>>
So I'm in a kind of high magic setting, Conjuration Wizard 10/Knowledge Cleric 1, and just got my level 6 spell slot.

Nothing seems great to take in the level 6 department, Sunbeam looks good, but I'm looking for a second opinion. DM Bonuses include conjuration spells do not require concentration, and I can use action movement and bonus action to quick cast Conjure Elemental in 1 action, so I'm deciding on a spell I should be doing damage with as my elemental wails on them.

Also deciding if just using the level 6 for Invisible Stalkers and Galeb Duhrs is better.

Party is small, me and a buffed out the ass Rogue. I have Ray of Frost as my go to with Acid Spalsh for when they group up. Both now 3d8 and 3d6 respectively.
>>
Okay, so in the game i'm running a TN halfling bard wanted to dump devil bodies into a nearby river. I made it clear that such an action, given that the bodies would sublimate into base parts which would be swept up by the wind and spirited back to Baator/Rib Cage where it belongs so they could reform, would taint the river and if not kill, corrupt every one and thing who drinks from it as they dissolved. Now, she didn't go through with it and even doing so wouldn't be an immediate alignment change but if she did would it be CE or NE?
>>
>>52041402
The spear also has to the property to make a cheap chain lightning. As a reaction to an ally dealing lightning damage to a creature within 10ft, the wielder can redirect the energy to another creature within 10ft, who takes half of the original damage after a new attak roll or saving throw is made. Does that help at all?
>>
>>52042699
No. Dewgong, or any variety of seal, is much cuter.
>>
>>52042822
Depends on why she would do it. If she wanted to just toss them in to clear up the bloody mess, it's more of an accident what would happen. If she wants to kill everyone who drinks from the river it's CE, if she is getting revenge on a town who has more than a few who committed heinous crimes, CN.

Alignment goes on in the head of the person doing something, killing a puppy to save a 1000 puppies, does not make someone CE for example, they want to save more.
>>
>>52042759
First you'll only get to learn your first 6th level spells next level. Second, there are definitely some good upcasting options for that slot. Third, let me look at the list.
>Chain Lightning, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Simple blast upgrades.
>Disintegrate
Highly versatile.
>Mass Suggestion
Gets better later on.
>Guards and Wards, Move Earth, Programmed Illusion, Contingency
Great downtime spells
>True Seeing
An important utility.
>Globe of Invulnerability
Laugh at lesser casters
>>
>>52042861
Her character was explicitly told in game by a quasi-deity/demigod that doing so would fuck the river over and all who use it. She had no knowledge about where the river led or who uses it. From what I can gather she wanted to do it mostly because she didn't want to put up with having to move the corpses further away from the campfire for the last hour of long rest. I'm pretty sure the only reason she didn't do it because my boy Horatius, demigod of heroism and mettle, was there to give a stern look.
>>
>>52042928
Yeah no alignment change, no evil intentions just trying to take care of something, does the character know that fiendish bodies have a chance to corrupt wherever they lay? If she didn't know, then it was just an accident, no alignment change.

Nobody unwillingly becomes evil, evil is only caring about yourself and not others, you have to willingly do it to become evil.
>>
>>52042906
I looked it up and as long as I have the spell slot for it I can add a spell of that level to my spellbook. Is there something else?
>>
>>52042928
>>52042991
>Her character was explicitly told in game by a quasi-deity/demigod that doing so would fuck the river over and all who use it.
I wouldn't change anybodies alignment over one act anyways (unless it was literal instant genocide) but she did know even if just told.
>>
>>52042928
Sounds like Chaotic Short-Sighted.
>>
>>52043022
Then if she did do it, knowing it would screw people over then yes it would require a look at the alignment, seewhay she cares about and doesn't, maybe it would go to CN depending.
>>
>>52043025
More than likely so i'm just wondering how much chaotic stupid it takes before dropping into evil.
>>
>>52043048
Stupidity isn't the same as evil. Evil is a choice, stupidity is more like failure to recognise the consequences of a decision.
>>
>>52042426
I can't really think of anything cool, maybe let them attack as a bonus action after casting a spell?

[Spoiler]:^)
>>
>>52042518
You shouldn't be as armoured as the heavy armour guys anyway.
>>
>>52043164
Monk doesn't have frontline AC or health, but is expected to frontline.
>>
>>52043131
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor.
>>
>>52043203
No, monks are highly mobile fighters with a ton of attacks and status effects, and ways to slip around dangerous targets.

They are as much a front line as a melee rogue is. And 18 AC is already at the limit of what a regular rogue can expect to end up at.
>>
>>52043203
They have stunning strike. AC is not really relevant anymore.
>>
>>52043203
If you max out Dexterity and Wisdom (and why would you not?), you have a 20 AC, which is more than good enough to frontline in my experience.

Health might be a bit of an issue, but that's why you grab the Mobile feat and take advantage of the sheer number of attacks you're making and your absurd speed, and the fact that in 5e, everyone has Spring Attack for free.

Move up to a target, make your attacks, move away without the target being allowed to Opportunity Attack. Rinse and repeat.

You're only "frontline" in that you're melee, you shouldn't actually be beginning or ending your turns next to an enemy if it's at all avoidable.
>>
>>52043232
A monk at level 8 who still doesn't have Mobile, is a retard. Or playing with a bad DM who bans Feats.
>>
>>52043013
You learn and prepare wizard spells as if you only had wizard levels. It's really explicit in the multiclassing section.
>>
>>52043222
>No, monks are highly mobile fighters with a ton of attacks and status effects, and ways to slip around dangerous targets.

That's their fluff, or intent, not what they are.

They have 1 status effect.

They can pay for a single extra attack compared to anyone with TWF.

>They are as much a front line as a melee rogue is. And 18 AC is already at the limit of what a regular rogue can expect to end up at.

Melee rogue does more damage and has similar mobility, without expending resources,
>>
>>52043287
>Or playing with a bad DM who bans Feats.

In fairness, any DM who bans feats will probably say as much at the start of the game (so as to make sure people don't know that Variant Human is in play), so as far as I'm concerned the onus is still on the player for nevertheless choosing Monk under those conditions.
>>
>>52043336
>the onus is still on the player for nevertheless choosing Monk under those conditions.

Or possibly on the devs for making Monk kinda shit without feats.
>>
>>52043304
Ah i see that now thank you. I'll keep your suggestions in mind thanks.
>>
>>52043131
Well, ogryns are stupid but would still be good because they're at least trying. At some point you can become so stupid that its actually evil. Its certainly not easy, you'd basically have to be Manfred von Carstein levels of selfishly incompetent but it should be possible.
>>
>>52043304

It's not, but the errata does make it more clear.
>>
Just play sun monk, then you dont need to go melee
>>
>>52043313
>Melee rogue does more damage and has similar mobility

Not even close. I've actually run into this exact situation; I'm running a drow elf rogue (thief) (mentioned above) and another player, who was originally running a cleric, retired the character and started playing a wood elf Undying warlock/Way of Shadow monk instead.

At 10th level with the Mobile feat, my character's max speed was 120 feet (40 ft. movement, action to Dash, bonus action to Dash). The monk/warlock at 10th level (warlock 3/monk 7) with Mobile had a speed of 60 feet, or a max speed of 180 feet (60 ft. movement, action to Dash, ki point to Dash).

Trust me, that extra 60 feet of movement made all the difference. Previously my character was centered on being the mobile striker; the monk/warlock completely displaced and outclassed me in that regard, and for a good few levels I was basically redundant except in the sheer damage I could do in a single strike, and even that was situational. And broadly outclassed by the Colossus Slayer/Sharpshooter Ranger (slightly less damage on average, but far more reliable)

(It didn't help that the warlock/monk took the invocation that lets her see through Darkness and gave her 120 ft. darkvision, meaning that she displaced the other area where my rogue shined, namely, nightvision)

From that point on I was basically relegated to playing second wheel in the niche I had formally dominated, and was left with just disarming traps, picking locks, and cutting purses; at least until I got my hands on some magic items that let me pull off some neat stuff, as well as a blessing from Tymora granting me +2 Constitution, giving me just enough hit points to be the party's frontline fighter. Which I milked the Hell out of since that was the only way for me to shine individually anymore.
>>
HA HA IT'S MONDAY, TIME FOR MYSTIC
SURELY THEY CAN'T DISAPPOINT US NINE TIMES IN A ROW
>the next UA is March 13th
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU
>>
>>52043461
>Second wheel

...I think I meant either "second fiddle" or "was a third wheel". Mixed metaphors. Shut up, I didn't go to sleep until 4 AM last night.
>>
>>52043313
A level 8 monk does ~24.2 average damage on a flurry. Stunning strike is even better than flurrying.

A level 8 rogue does ~21.38 average damage TWF with shortswords, ~22.425 average damage with advantage on a crossbow, or 26.8125 average damage with advantage on booming blade with a rapier if he's an AT who took Find Familiar and their owl hasn't been ganked yet, or ~19.35 for booming blade without advantage.

It's much later that rogues can deal better damage than monks. And that 1 status effect (well, one core, all the monk archetypes can get more) is the second best status effect in the game.
>>
>>52043443
I mean it even uses wizard in the example.
>>
Monk's damage falls after level 11, where they dont get anything relevant
>>
>>52043461
Yeah, but as a rogue you also aren't actually forced into melee. You can shoot arrows while you close distance. And you don't sacrifice damage when you dash/disengage.

I mean, warlock also solves that because lol eldritch blast, but the best monk could do would be sun soul (which admittedly is pretty cool).

>It's much later that rogues can deal better damage than monks.

The moment they get hasted, or the battlemaster fighter uses commanding strike on them. Also, don't forget that high elf can pick up BB too.

>And that 1 status effect (well, one core, all the monk archetypes can get more) is the second best status effect in the game.

I don't disagree with that, it's just that saying "monks are mobile status effect masters" when they are basically glorified stunguns feels kinda off.
>>
>>52043540
This, pretty much. I think it's because they're supposed to use stunning strike a whole lot, but it doesn't feel very good.
>>
>>52043552
>The moment they get hasted, or the battlemaster fighter uses commanding strike on them. Also, don't forget that high elf can pick up BB too.
The rogue benefits from party synergy. The monk gives party synergy. And BB isn't that good on its own. You also need advantage.
>>
>>52042822
As soon as you "kill" a devil, it goes completely and pretty much immediately back to Hell. So under most circumstances there are no "devil bodies."

Even if you did go to Hell, kill a devil there, and bring the body back to the Prime Material, I'm pretty sure the plan wouldn't work. But for even attempting such indiscriminate mass poisoning the character should take a step toward evil.
>>
>>52043721
Homebrewed it, outerplanar being corpses stay for a day or so just so that I can get some decent moments of Blood War battlefields absolutely swamped with gore before returning home.
>>
>>52039526
>>52039587
>Forbiddance.
This was the best answer, but Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum also works, and is available a little earlier as a 4th level spell (Forbiddance is 6th). It can only affect a cube up to 100 ft per side though.
>>
What class could I dip into that has the best synergy with a battle master?
>>
>>52039749

You can slide it in on "Additional effect"
>>
>>52043804
Barbarian rage ain't bad. Rogue if you are dex. War Cleric if you have 14+ Wisdom for massive action surge burst damage. Warlock for Hex could be alright, short rest machine.
>>
Done with this. Anyone searching for a Tiny PC race can come check, started with the classics, Pixie and Sprite.

Really, I struggle to figure how to limit tiny creatures sensibly. I probably should add a point that they can only use light weapons 1-handedly.
>>
So in my next session my players are going to be flying aboard a Nautiloid when four adult dragons attack. (if my full party of 7 shows up, shouldn't be a problem) I was thinking of having the dragons drop a few Death Slaads on the deck for good measure. Anybody here done an airship encounter before? Any cool shit I should add?
>>
>>52044328

Pixies are basically unplayable with pacifist and the Faeries are pretty much useless outside of spellcasters, where they'll just go and hover above the fight and rain down spells without melee being able to hit them.

I'd scrap the AC bonus/all those penalties to stuff + set a height limit on the flight. 4e Pixies had a trait that meant they counted as being Small Size if it would help them called Wee Warrior and that seems like a good idea here.
>>
>>52044347
A good reason for the dragons to not just rake the Nautiloid with breath weapons with repeated flybys?
>>
I'm planning on having an avalanche encounter for my players to deal with as they follow a mountain pass. This is what I have so far:

>After trekking through the mountains for two days, a strong blizzard sets in. The party intrepidly trudges through the blinding snow and howling winds through the third day. Harshnag the Grim yells over the wind "The Eye of the All-Father is near!" At that moment, the mountain shudders. The party may roll a group Intelligence (Nature) DC 10 check to determine a massive avalanche has begun. I begin a 4 minute timer
>First the party must cross a narrow ledge which is sheer rock on their left and a gaping chasm to their right. They may move at half their normal movement speed to cross without a check. If they do this, they lose one minute from the timer. The party can also attempt to run the ledge, in which case each member who runs must make a DC 10 Dexterity Saving Throw or slip off the ledge. If they fail the saving throw, they may make another DC 18 Strength saving Throw to attempt to catch and hold onto the ledge. If they fail, they fall and take 6d10 falling damage upon impact. Another player may help a fallen character with a simple DC 10 Strength check to pull them back onto the ledge.
>Once the players successfully cross the ledge, the second half of the encounter begins. The party enters a sloped region of the mountain. To their right, they can see far above them the massive wall of snow bearing down on them. Across a 300 foot long field of snow and rocks, the group can see a large cave which appears to cut through to the other side. At this point, the players' actions are determined in order via initiative. The players have two actions, which is the Dash action and the Double Time action. If they choose to Double Time, they can move their movement speed on top of dashing. This does require a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw; if they fail, they only make about half their distance (based on by how much they failed) (new post)
>>
>>52044383
Pixies are pacifist just so. It is part of their fluff, explicitly stated that they will not raise arms, instead using spells in a smart way to buff friends and debuff enemies. Hold Monster is not a spell attack, and it doesn't apply to your spell save DC. You just lose the weakest link that spellcasters have, the Evocation spells.

I gotta check out Wee Warrior, maybe add it to the whole, maybe add it to Sprites. We'll see.
>>
>>52044413
(Cont)
>if a player is knocked prone, another player can help that player up using the Help action, but can only move their base movement speed.
>After the 4 minute timer ends, the avalanche engulfs any players not inside the cave. They take 2d10 cold and 4d10 bludgeoning damage and are trapped within the snow.

Does anyone have any ideas for other things to throw at them?

Oh I also forgot, using Double Time adds a level of Exhaustion to the player
>>
>>52044396

Um, they want to capture the ship intact? Would that work?
>>
i got a question surrounding 2 weapon fighting and ranged weapons.

if i use two ranged weapons (two guns or crossbows or whatever), do i get a damage bonus to both? how would one round of just attacking look, assuming i have 16 dex and +2 proficiency?
>>
>>52040544
Two free skills is too much. A skill and a tool would be fine. Everything else about it is godly.
>>
>>52044501
Do you have the fighting style?

If yes, yes. If no, no.
>>
>>52044458

>Pixies are pacifist just so. It is part of their fluff, explicitly stated that they will not raise arms, instead using spells in a smart way to buff friends and debuff enemies.

The issue there is that you are forcing a personality trait on all PCs as that's like giving all elves an Arrogant trait that means they can't use actions to assist non-elves and it doesn't even stop them dropping most evocations on people. It's also going 'This subrace is utterly worthless for anyone who's not a sorcerer/bard'.

Still, the most important problem it has is no-limit flight. Setting a height limit is kinda important or they'll all be sorcerers going to sit above people and drop save-requiring spells on people without ever being able to be attacked.
>>
>>52043804
I wouldn't say five levels is a dip, but Monk can replace a lot of Fighter levels (you get Extra Attack) and Stunning Blow has fantastic synergy with maneuvers since stunned creatures would auto-fail their checks.
>>
>>52043767
So the river is only poisoned for a day or two?
>>
>>52044541
okay so if i have 2h fighting i get +3 damage from dex to both attacks if i say, use two hand-crossbows?
>>
>>52044542
Well, it's part of the D&D:s official lore, but I guess it applies only in general terms. Adventurers are exceptions anyway.

How much height is a good amount? 20-30ft?
>>
>>52044413
>>52044488
Pls respond I have to run this in 6 hours
>>
>>52044501
You don't use twf with ranged weapons.
>>
>>52044641
oh, so twf is not appliable to ranged weaponry? that's very good to know.
>>
>>52044599

5-10ft. Otherwise they'll be out of melee range all the time.
>>
Last thread I had was suggested revenant subrace for an idea I had. Now I thought about it and had some questions:

If the cause of the original death had scared the body (burns, amputated, giant hole in chest), will these be healed when the character becomes a revenant?

Are revenant characters considered undead?

How aware are characters of their condition? Do they know the limits of the rules?
>>
>>52044630
Run it as a chase. An extended challenge. Or a complex trap. Determine what's worth progress and how much progress they have to make to be safe when the avalanche hits. Like they have to clear a path through a snow field, so whoever is in front is moving extra slow.
>>
>>52044720
Yes they're undead. They might not be aware that they died, just that they have an overwhelmingly important thing to do.

I assume a cruel DM could assume some wounds wouldn't heal. Or have these wounds heal on a spiritual level but still be visible to everyone else.
>>
Dunno if I'm misreading the rule book, is there a way to get a feat from the standard feat list other than asking your DM to take one instead of an ability score boost?
>>
>>52044792
No. But a majority of DMs will just allow feats.
>>
>>52044750
Well what do you think of the setup I had?

I feel like it's sort of a mixture of all those things. I was going for more of a Chase feel, but that there would be actions other than just Dash
>>
>>52044784
Is the character considered magical alongside being undead? Are many of the details up to the DM and the player to figure out?
>>
>>52044909
It's up to your setting. I would say no, in general, for any undead.
>>
>>52044546
I've already got Extra Attack so I feel like going into Monk now would be a lot of investment for little reward at this point.
>>
>>52044488
Sounds pretty solid to me. If you play on roll20 I bet there is Avalanche sound or something similar to play. I think you should tell them that you have a timer cause a lot of players imagine out of character planning doesn't take time.
>>
>>52044559
Yes if you have TwF you can add your ability modifier to the damage of both attacks.
>>
>>52044792
Human Variant lets you take a feat, other than that that's it.
>>
>>52045048
I play in real life but I usually play mood setting music. I've got a whole playlist of wintery music I've been wanting to play

And of course about the timer. Half the fun is spent watching their panic!
>>
>>52042846
It helps, but barely. I would either drop the 1 damage every turn or drop the 3d10 in favour of something more minor (eg. 3d6). After all an unstable weapon doesn't need to inherently hurt you all the time, it could just fail horribly every now and then, like a plasma gun in WH40k. Most of the time you are safe but when it fails it fails horribly.
>>
>>52044559
Yes - once. The problem is that you can't load either crossbow bwcause your hands are full. It's much better to take Crossbow Expert and fight with a single hand crossbow. Then you can make your full attack with it, then make one extra attack as a bonus action. You add your Dex modifier to the damage of all these attacks, plus you have a hand free to reload it.
>>
So question. What good is the sorcerer actually? It seems like it looses out to blasting against the warlock and looses out on breath of spells to the wizard/cleric/druid
>>
>>52043552
How does haste give them big damage? You only get one sneak attack.
>>
>>52045342
Haste action to sneak attack, normal action to ready an attack and immediately sneak attack after your turn.

This gives you two sneak attacks per round at the cost of your reaction.
>>
Anyone got that pdf thats like three pages long and lists all the race/class options in 5e by name?
>>
>>52045367
I suppose that works RAW. I feel like a lot of DMs would not allow that, though.
>>
>>52045242
Using metamagic to land spells in clutch situations.
>>
>>52045242
During low levels, sorcery points can be used to acquire very valuable spell slots if your DM doesn't allow you to do long rests whenever you want to.

That's the main advantage. A couple of extra spell slots every long rest until you reach about 9th level, where it starts becoming pretty irrelevant and the best you can do to catch up is try to make efficient use of Metamagic.
>>
>>52045388
I sure wouldn't.

You are attempting to abuse the "once per turn mechanic, and since you used a sneak attack, and the delayed action is part of the same (hasted ) action, it would still be the same action. 1 sneak attack, not two.

Also don't forget that a Monk would also get a lot of benefits from an additional action. It is not like Haste is exclusively good on rogues.
>>
>>52044542
Tried to fix the problems.

>10 ft hover over ground
>No more pacifist pixies, murder away
>Added darkvision
>Trying to rebalance Tinyness

Wee Warrior has the problem that 5e doesn't have equipment size in the same vein as it was in previous editions. It isn't really applicable.

All in all, Faeries are actually fairly okay currently, for example, Sprite Monks get 2 + 2 to both the main abilities, as do Pixie DexPaladins or Sorcerers. A small step to balance out the fact that they have a more limited weapon repertoire.
>>
>>52044542
>what is a bow
>>
File: 1479131797099.jpg (390KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
1479131797099.jpg
390KB, 1280x1656px
>>52045521
Would you allow a rogue to sneak attack when someone provokes an opportunity attack from them?
If so, you've got no good reason to disallow haste extra action being used for a sneak attack, and the rogue's normal action being readied to attack in response to a legitimate trigger. Granted, "when my turn ends" is not a legitimate trigger because it relies on the game abstraction, but if it's something like [enemy next to me] attacks, or moves, those are fair.
>>
>Moon
>Land
>Dreams
>Shepherd
>Twilight

When will Druids get good options?
>>
>>52045661
What would a good option be, in your eyes?
>>
Hey guys. My friends invited me to join them in D&D. I've never played before, I'm figuring out my character right now but I don't really know that much about the setting (they don't use their own setting, it's just the normal D&D universe).

I am thinking of making a ranger who is a kind of ex-military scout, is that a reasonable thing in this setting? Are there a bunch of nations and militaries at war with one another constantly? Would it make sense to have humans as my favored enemy because of that or would I be fighting orcs or something instead? Or would it make more sense to be a scout from a small town militia or something like that? I like that idea of being a scout and a pseudo-fighter with some tracking/survival/investigative skills but am not sure how that would work in the setting.
>>
>>52045727
Sure that works
Are they using the actual D&D FR setting though
>>
>>52045727
That sounds a question for your dm
But scout is usually a role rangers play in a party and all militaries need scouts so go for it and pound out specifices with the dm
>>
>>52045727
All of your ideas work, so just pick what you like.

There are indeed regions of the Realms that fight each other a lot. South of the Sword Coast is a nation called Tethyr that has to deal with crap from Amn (Spain) and Calimshan (Ottoman Empire) a lot. Both are human-dominated.

Out east is a nation called Cormyr that's spent most of the past hundred years at war with the now-collapsed Netheril Empire and their vassal nation of Sembia. The Netherese were not human, but Sembites are. Likewist, a little further east is the Dalelands, which also had to fight against Netheril and Sembia, and as a bonus point has a longstanding tradition of marksmanship and scouts/rangering.

Up in the Sword Coast, human nations don't fight each other too much, mostly because of the vast distances between them (the Sword Coast is roughly the size of the western third of the United States) and the threat of orcs and goblinoids.
>>
>>52045661
Moon is good, but to answer your question: never, the problem with druids is the base class and their shit spell list.
>>
>>52045603
There's very good reason; an opportunity attack is meaningful game mechanic, waiting 2 seconds before you attack because so you get more damage because of arbitrary mechanical reasons is not. An opportunity attack is a meaningful in-world action and a slight delayed attack is not.

Giving it some more thought I'd probably just disallow using Ready in the same turn you use a Haste action.
>>
>>52045667
Something flexible that isn't just an inefficient version of another class in combat.
>>
>>52045922
I played a druid a little while ago and felt like, with the benefit of my Land circle expanded spell list, I didn't lack for spell selection.
>>
>>52046085
How about enlightened, urbane druids that are intelligent enough to take advantage of superior civilized arms and armor rather than lowering themselves to being mentally inferior peace-loving hippy savages?
>>
>>52046114 >>52045922
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person on Earth who thinks that what druids need to do is ditch spellcasting nearly entirely (except for a specialized kit) and instead focus on shapeshifting and animal summoning.
>>
File: 1467961146521.jpg (38KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467961146521.jpg
38KB, 500x800px
>>52046080
So the rogue, who makes powerful strikes to distracted foes' weak points can be enabled to make several such strikes when an enemy opens itself to an attack of opportunity, or when they are commanded by a battlemaster, but not when they magically are boosted to twice the speed of a normal human and they prepare themselves to strike a new open weakness?
>>
>>52046085
I think Moon Druid is special on its own, Wild shaping is a Druid only feature that combines game knowledge with tactical knowledge and being able to decide the perfect balance between defense and offense is paramount in each combat.
>>
>>52046171
Summons bog the game down and are un-fun, and shapeshifting can only replace martials or be subpar by comparison. If the entire point of your class is turning into a bear and mauling shit but does it worse than a Barb, why be Druid? If it's better, why be Barb? There's not enough design space here.
>>
>>52046171
Probably not, but that's seems kinda dubious to me. Summoning and transformation have always been really troublesome mechanics IMO. Making a class that only uses those seems like it's asking for trouble.
>>
hey 5eg, i need some help.
I've been bestowed the honor of DMing in 5th edition for my friends, and i don't know what to run for them. it's not that i don't want to DM, i do, i just... don't know what to do.

i have one idea, which is basically a dungeon system so huge people haven't seen the bottom, and there's entire towns n' shit down there.
but i don't know what to populate the place with, both when it comes to enemies and friendlies.
what do you think about this idea, and would it be difficult or easy to dm? do you have any ideas for me?
>>
>>52046200
Agreed that mob summons are awful to actually bring to a table, though a single companion or two is normally fine if the player has the wits to move them quickly.
Regarding the martial thing, moon druids are full spellcasters. Bards can spend their time when not casting to fulfill skill challenges, or fight reasonably with a rapier, or inspire people. Moon druids can instead enter a bear-shaped shell to get an extra HP pool to soak and make a few attacks that will be generally weaker than martials, especially if the martials bring in their resource based abilities or magic gear, while at the same time losing AC, the ability to speak, and thumbs.
Animal form being weaker than martials is the ideal; they shouldn't match them perfectly with a single class feature because they've got a full selection of spell tricks.
>>
They should remove spellcasting from base druid, so moon = martial, and land = spellcaster. Other subclasses could be half casters with other features

Or maybe they should make 5e druid similar to the 13th Age one
>>
>>52045603
>when my turn ends
Yes, this is the trigger, and it happens when your turn ends. If you delay ending your action with a readied action, your turn isn't done yet.

A reaction is fine, but it still has the once per turn limit.
>>
>>52046369
>If you delay ending your action with a readied action, your turn isn't done yet.
That's not how 5e's combat works. Your turn is your turn. Readying an action does not extend your turn, it just opens up your ability to use your reaction to do something on someone else's turn.
>>
>>52046270
Starter set. Run Lost Mine of Phandelver, or if you're adventurous do Storm King's Thunder which starts at 1 or 5
>>
>>52046270
>This dungeon, called, The Hole, is the dungeon that dwarfs all others. Unable to be traced back to its creators, those who view it view it as a mystery, tales include an undead work force building the perfect sanctuary of a lich, a deuregar work where they constantly continue to build deeper and deeper endlessly, and would never stop to the point of obsession, and some even say it's older than the stone around it.

>What is for sure though, is when you go in The Hole, there's a good chance you never leave it. Winding caves and grand halls and tight ways make this dungeon nearly unmappable even the most wizened cartographers have never returned going into The Hole.

>That's where you come in, delve into the hole, try not to get lost, cause if you do, your home is The Hole.

Throw a small town of adventurers and map makers who have found an open cavern, all desperately trying to survive and map where they can do a way can be found out. Throw in Grimlocks, an easy to DM enemy, Rogue Duregar who got lost in the maze, or find what this dungeon holds, and try to keep it there.

Goes best with a low magic setting so no teleport gate find the path, or explain why they don't work.
>>
>>52046189
Going faster to wait better is not particularly intuitive. If you're arguing that haste makes you so fast that it should give you a reaction action (a la legendary actions) why does the spell not do that in the first place instead of giving you an extra action on your turn? Readying (and turn order more generally) is an abstraction; like most abstractions, it is subject to varying degrees of interpretation. This interaction feels unintuitive, unintended, and doesn't seem to add much to the state of the game. Meanwhile, getting sneak attack damage on opportunity attacks is intuitive enough that most people I play with understand it. And being intuitive, I find it less likely to be unintended.

Regardless, if I had a player who was too autistic to accept this (not sure why I'd be playing with him, but shit happens), I'd just say fine and tell him sneak attacks are now once per round.
>>
File: 1461988128611.jpg (44KB, 429x724px) Image search: [Google]
1461988128611.jpg
44KB, 429x724px
>>52046476
Normal Rogue
>I'll make a precise attack on my turn thanks to my nearby ally's occupying/distracting the enemy
Opportunity attack
>The enemy has moved away from us but still been left open, so I have a second chance for a vital strike
Haste
>I'm thinking and moving incredibly fast, so I can both strike the enemy's open weakness, and then prepare for him to do something- perhaps move, or attack- and I can use my enhanced reaction time to strike vitally again

What's bad about this? All this would accomplish for me as a rogue would be to try and move to a class you don't want to cockblock, or as the caster to stop preparing buff spells for the martials whose wings you're going to clip.
>>
>>52046200
I generally agree, but I can see some counterpoints. Shape shifting can have utility effects that raging does not. Summons can be okay, but ONLY if they are streamlined and treated like spell effects not summons. For example, summon swarms to act as an AoE spell, summon some magic wolf shit for tracking, or summon some eagles to fly you to mordor. The key point is that they should not be real characters, but only spell effects that can maybe also double as a cantrip attack (the point of the wolf is track but maybe it can also bite). I know this probably isn't what the original anon meant by "summons" but I think you could make a passably interesting class this way.

Now that I think about this I kinda want to build it. Balancing it would be difficult for sure, though.
>>
>>52046316
The 13th age Druid is way too complicated for 5e, character building wise.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>52046409
i like it. thanks guy.
>>
Any worldbuilders ITT?

Fairly new DM here. I really like the idea of making my own setting, but the DMG starts you off with making a pantheon, planes, and other high-level concepts that players probably won't even be thinking about until level 10+.

Do I really need to have shit like deep mythology, gods and their names, and a list of every plane in mind from the first level 1 goblin dungeon? Or can I afford to wing it and stick to worldly matters until extraplanar/godly stuff starts coming up?
>>
>>52046861
You don't need too, but I've often found your cosmology can really help shape the world from the get go. The types of gods, planes, and how people worship and relate to them can really shape a world.
>>
>>52046550
>All this would accomplish for me as a rogue would be to try and move to a class you don't want to cockblock, or as the caster to stop preparing buff spells for the martials whose wings you're going to clip.
If you think removing one vaguely exploity use of haste is clipping the rogue's wings I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree. Judging by past games the caster will be happy to continue casting haste on the GWM guy.

If you're referring to the whole "fine no extra sneak attack" one, you're right; I should not ban that because it's immature. I should just say that if you can't compromise and abide by the DM's decision you should find another game (or if the entire group is for whatever reason unhappy with the decision, I suppose I should find another game, but that seems less likely).
>>
>>52046861
I can't say I've built a world, but you don't necessarily have to start with pantheons and such. Figure out the hook that nakes your setting not just another FR or Tolkien ripoff. It could be 'all magic requires blood sacrifice' or 'the world is highly volcanic' or I dunno.
>>
>>52046861
You're mostly right, you don't need to have that all figured out right away. I'd figure out some of the stuff that might be relevant early, like gods, so you're not caught unprepared if one of your players gets curious.
>>
>>52046550
>being this butt hurt for not having Haste+
It is a single fucking spell, and I'd "clip the wings" of anyone else doing this kind of rules bending, to gain this kind of benefits.

It is pretty fucking clear that this isn't RAI, or you would have been able to just gain the Sa bonus on both haste actions. But you can't, and your "waiting for a new opportunity" would not be accepted, because it makes no fucking sense in the way your phrased it so far.

There is no reason between taking the action right away, or waiting 0,2 seconds, and taking your action as soon as your "turn ended" - which is still a very lose interpretation of the rules.

If you at least made a specific timing to make it sensible - like readying an action until another party member has attacked the target - then I might accept, otherwise you are just being a gamist piece of shit, and I'd tell you to fuck off back to WoW.
>>
>>52046861
If you're just planning to run a few games off the cuff I'd just sketch a region and see how it goes. Gods can be important because religion can be important to society. However, it may do to just sketch out a couple locally favored deities and worship customs for now. Be ready to set up players who want to play a cleric, though (or maybe just generally be religious).

>planes
Does it really start you off making planes? That's silly, most of my settings don't even have defined planes.
>>
>>52047021
>>52047021
>>52047021
>>
>>52046998
Not that other anon,
But I'd allow it as a dm. It's just damage, let the players have their fun.
>>
>>52047095
You could say the same of nuclear druid; would you allow that?
>>
>>52046861
Planes, probably not. Gods, almost certainly. Towns will have churches and such, and players with religious features (acolyte background, clerics etc) will probably ask about that stuff.

Personally, I came up with the city where the campaign will start off, then the surrounding regions and how everything connects, and then I started working on the extraplanar stuff.
>>
>>52044784
>>52044720

>Yes they're undead.

There is no indication that they're undead.
>>
>>52046316
Nah. Why are you butthurt about druids?
>>
>>52042847
Are there seals in mm or vgm?
>>
>>52047364
Is it something decided by the DM? Is there any way to detect it from an outsider's point of view?
Thread posts: 383
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.