[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 25

File: 1365_Chimera-Pup.jpg (595KB, 900x1165px) Image search: [Google]
1365_Chimera-Pup.jpg
595KB, 900x1165px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>52005389

What's your favorite monstrosity?
>>
Here's a helpful tip for making combat interesting.

Try 4e.
>>
>>52012550
4e is a bad meme.
>>
>>52012466
The Hydra, because it strikes a nice balance between the puzzle fight of myth and a sack of HP.
>>
>>52012466

The Roc, obvs
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12458334

I suppose I should've expected Warlord to be a runaway hit.
>>
>>52012466
Bullette. Gotta love them land sharks.
>>
>turn 1 : haste yourself
>turn 2 : timestop, mass healing word
The whole team can enjoy Timestop for the full duration.

Can you do this without hasting yourself ? Readying timestop right before your next turn then casting mass healing word as a b.a. ?
>>
>>52012626
Can I get a quick rundown of them all? I've only played 5e.
>>
>>52012683
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_classes#Other_sourcebooks
Those are the 3.5 ones.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_classes#4th_edition
These are the 4e ones.

Note that some of them have already been introduced to 5e as archetypes.
>>
>>52012641
>whole team can enjoy Timestop for the full duration.

Uh... how?
>>
>>52012683
I will, later, when I am on a computer and not a phone
>>
>>52012738

Someone please remind me how the hell Timestop is a level 9 spell?
>>
>>52012789
Because it's always been a 9th level spell, and WotC never changes tradition.

Even when it's a completely shit spell.
>>
>>52012723
Yeah, I figured as much. I know about warlord and warden and I like them a lot but they don't quite fit into fighter without some kinda large changes.
>>52012757
Gracias
>>
>>52012626
I dunno what's sadder. That most of these will never get made, or that the homebrew for shit like Binder, Shaman, and Runepriest are all better than what WizKids would eventually shit out.
>>
File: WarlordPDF.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
WarlordPDF.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>52012626
Maybe this will help scratch the itch somewhat
>>
>>52012738
When you affect a creature I thought the spell ended only for that creature.

>>52012789
Right it's uter trash, Acion surge 10x better. It's becaus it used to be a god spell (auto hit affecte creatures)
>>
>>52012641
You can't cast a spell with the extra action provided by haste. You also cannot cast a bonus action spell in the same turn as another spell, unless that spell is an attack cantrip.

TL;DR: no 2 spells in one turn.

HOWEVER, it IS possible to ready an action to cast timestop shortly before your turn.
>>
>>52012626
Why do people give a shit about Crusader while not giving a fuck about Warblade or Swordsage?

Is it just the DEUS VULT meme and people not realizing that it's pretty much just a cleric or a paladin in a game that doesn't have the Tome of Weeaboo Fightan Magic?
>>
>>52013135
I think it's less the DEUS VULT meme and more the weaaboo fightan magic meme, and the obsession with every class related to it.
>>
>>52013196
Swordsage and Warblade have five votes against Crsuader's ten, so there's at least five people who aren't interested in Crusader because of Weeaboo Fightan Magic.
>>
How difficult is Hoard of the Dragon Queen to someone DMing for the first time?
>>
>>52012626
Wow, there's not a single class in that list that I would want as even an archetype, much less a standalone class.

The real answer is Favored Soul, which never should have been an archetype, especially not for fucking Sorcerer.
>>
>>52013135
>Warblade

I have no idea what a warblade is, but that name is fucking stupid
>>
I miss classes having two viable stat builds, instead of just one.
>>
>>52012859
Thanks for this anon. It needs a little bit of polish in the interest of consistency, but it's really good.
>>
What is your favorite build 5eg? I am partial to the Nuclear Wizard.
>>
How would /tg/ do a Strength ranger?

I've been poking at a concept and Half-Orc ranger looks like the best execution but I've never played a ranger before, much less a variation.
>>
>>52013230
There's a joke here about blades not being used for war and how the ones who are need a full class to differentiate themselves.
>>
>>52013269
>How would /tg/ do a Strength ranger?

By playing an Oath of the Ancients paladin
>>
>>52013236
Thanks! I'm still polishing and always taking suggestions.
>>
What's your favorite trap, of all time? Any edition.
For me, I'd say White Plume Mountain has one, which would be the bubble room or strangely enough, The Tyranny of Dragons Module has a spin on the classic Indiana Jones Boulder trap
>>
>>52013230
Warblades are the martial class of Weeaboo Fightan Magic, while Swordsages are sort of arcane and Crusaders are divine.

And for the uninitiated, the Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic is actually called the Tome of Battle and it was 3.5's precursor to 4e's action economy. It allowed martial classes to use abilities that were essentially spells, just called Maneuvers and Stances instead. This was disliked because people compared it to combat in anime and declared it weeaboo. This was during 4chan's unironic anti-weeaboo period.
>>
File: 1449609170844.png (180KB, 709x398px) Image search: [Google]
1449609170844.png
180KB, 709x398px
Hey guys, why is Neutral Evil disliked? It seems to me it's the easiest alignment to roleplay as evil without being a massive dick to your party.
>>
>>52013258
Pal-locks are fun for me, but the new Hexblade Patron is looking rather nice.

Also Fighter2/BarbarianX for fighting style and Action Surge crit shenanigans.
>>
>>52013298
>It allowed martial classes to use abilities that were essentially spells, just called Maneuvers and Stances instead.

But this is literally how I describe the Battlemaster to normies.
>>
>>52013302
Evil PCs are meme tier
>>
>>52013302
Incorrect. That's LE. NE is Rita Repulsa.
>>
>haste
Oh right thanks

>no 2 spells
You can with action surge
>>
>>52013292
No, thank you. Paladin, even if they've been redefined as cause-driven rather than explicitly religious in 5e, still doesn't have the correct archetype connotations for my purposes.
>>
>>52013297
Probably Berserker Barbarian, or Champion Fighter.
>>
>>52013297
Bailey Jay

>>52013302
Almost everyone thinks evil PCs can't function in normal parties. Almost everyone is wrong.
Of course, most players should never be allowed within 100 feet of an evil character, but it's not impossible to get right.

>>52013333
>Unironically saying "normies"
>>
>>52013295
First thing I'd say is that there need to be more Tricks available to them. Maybe have some new ones available at later levels (similar to level limits on Warlock invocations) to simulate a progression in tactical knowledge. I'm also assuming that the Tricks and Commands learned through the schools don't count towards the limit of those known.
>>
>>52013355

Don't forget PHB Beastmaster Ranger.
>>
File: 1457136307464.gif (2MB, 550x300px) Image search: [Google]
1457136307464.gif
2MB, 550x300px
>>52013355
>>52013358
I walked right into this.
>>
>>52013361
>Tricks and Commands learned through the schools don't count towards the limit of those known
Naturally.
>there need to be more Tricks available to them
I've been getting this fairly often. I'll see what I can cook up.
>new ones available at later levels (similar to level limits on Warlock invocations)
The issue is that tricks are essentially cantrips. They're designed to impact your combat patterns without being very strong.
>>
File: tome-of-battle-stances.png (481KB, 341x1108px) Image search: [Google]
tome-of-battle-stances.png
481KB, 341x1108px
>>52013333
These were a little more supernatural than the Battlemaster's maneuvers.

Have a read:
>http://tcdftp.drshnaps.com/Kojiro/Tome%20of%20Battle-OEF.pdf

Or look at the image just as an example of how supernatural some of these maneuvers were.
>>
Does anyone have the Binder homebrew?
>>
>>52012683
>>52012826

>Archivist
3.5 Heroes of Horror Cleric that has hit points and learns spells like a wizard, grants allies bonuses against and helps them bypass the special defenses of specific creature types.

>Beguiler
3.5, PHB II Sneaky caster, illusion and enchantment, saves are harder if they get the drop on someone. Full caster, light skill monkey.

>Binder
3.5, Tome of Magic, Pact Magic. The idea that it binds forgotten entities who have been removed from existence to gain their unique offered powers and drawbacks while resisting being influenced by them. Extremely versatile for both combat and utility as they select and balance different bindings. Folded into Warlock for 4th Edition.

>Crusader
3.5 Tome of Battle, Basically the heavy armored divine inspired knight of the book of weeaboo fi-tan magic. Uses a random draw of maneuvers and super toughness to lay waste to enemies while being a battlefield leader, eventually gets smite and Mettle (Con and Wis version of Evasion). Arguably doable in 5E applying the thought process behind Spell Less Ranger to the Paladin.

>Seeker
4E Controller with the Primal Power Source, basically did the duties of the Wizard as far as crowd control and affecting multiple enemies go while sharing thematic overlap with Druids.

>Rune Pries
4E a Leader Class with the Divine Power Source. This is the second instance of there being overlap of power source and role. Unsure of how it differs from the Cleric outside of its power structure utilizing runic symbols.

>Dread Necromancer
3.5 Heroes of Horror. More focused and specialized necromancer wizard that slowly itself is turning undead and can control a greater number of undead than a traditional necromancer and summon more undead and rebuke at the cost of spell diversity.

>Duskblade
A fighter mage whose special claim to fame is being able to deliver their touch spells as part of a melee attack (really mucking with the action economy) & capturing some flavor of the OG Elf Class
>>
>>52013424
>Binder homebrew
Where can I find this?
>>
Does anyone have a dungeon builder software of some kind? Not a random dungeon generator, but something that allows me to specify a room size, a tunnel size, etc.? I just need the physical outline - I can add details and whatever in Roll20.
>>
>>52013222
What would you like your Favored Soul to be like? As person relatively new, I kinda like the one from UA..?
>>
>>52013400
But having certain Tricks have a higher power level would then be acceptable because the level 2 Warlord isn't busting it out at-will, he's gotta wait until level 9 (or some shit). Also, you've got a few dead levels which you could use as thresholds for those more advanced Tricks.

The Haste Command is, to me, a little too risky to use since it can gimp your party heavily if you're facing smart opponents or just really unlucky. Does the Warlord also benefit from the effects?
>>
>>52012856
Homebrew classes are always complete trash.
Yes that means yours too.
>>
>>52013451
>Factotum
3.5 Dungeonscape, Minor healing abilities, sneak attack in a pinch, mimicking limited Wiz/Sorc spellcasting, being a skill monkey with access to ALL skills in 3.5. Int based martial skills powered by a system called Inspiration. Be a jack of all trades and master of none.

>Warden
4E, Primal Power Source Defender Role. People say it can be accomplished with the Ranger or Oath of Ancients Paladin in 5E, but your miles may vary.

>Healer
3.5 Miniatures Handbook. Basically a divine full caster with a preset spell list and sudden metamagic it can apply to those spells mostly to be a more effective heal monkey. Opposite number of the Warmage.

>Incarnate
3.5 Magic of Incarnum. A class that uses a strongly alignment based unique magic system that revolves around creating temporary magic constructs and binding them to yourself out of the great well of lives lived and yet to live called incarnum. Very diverse selection of supernatural abilities or static boosts to skills and attacks.

>Warlord
4E Martial Power Source Leader. Perfection of the wishy washy 3.5 Marshall concept. You're a fight guy who inspires allies and is all about keeping everyone's energy up to fight through injury and granting allies mobility, opportunity to attack, and the ability to overcome certain affects in a pinch.

>Shaman
4E Primal Leader. Sharing flavor space with the Druid and about healing & buffing allies and commanding summoned spirits. Consolidation of some of the ideas of the 3.5 Spirit Shaman.

>Shadowcaster
3.5 Tome of Magic, Shadow Magic. One of the sub magic systems introduced in ToM. Incomplete and broken, based around the idea that as you gain levels your earlier abilities become supernatural abilities instead of spell like and some powers have prerequisites in other powers. Spooky caster.

>Soulborn
3.5 Magic of Incarnum...basically I can only easily describe this as an Incarnum Paladin with less incarnum options than the Incarnate.
>>
My Dragonborn Paladin died last night. The whole party is sad to see him go because he was the loveable, naive heart of the group. His goofiness made him the center of many great RP moments and the party wants me to roll a similar mascot character to keep that same dynamic. I'm not sure what to play so I am looking for any suggestions. I wanted to play a thief and the party has suggested either Goblin, Kobold, Kenku, or Tabaxi for the race.

Any suggestions for builds that encourage hijinks? Not really worried about combat optimization since we rarely do fights.
>>
>>52013451
4E folded Binders' Vestiges into Warlock as potential Patrons and the names for attacks, but nothing about the 4E Warlock replicated the class at all.

The closest we've gotten to Binder post 3.5 is Mystic, if you could swap your Disciplines after every long rest. It still doesn't cover most of what the Binder does, but it's the nearest thing mechanically to "every day I become bros with 1-3 weirdgods and get an assortment of powers related to them". A Binder could be a sword-and-board heavy armor tank that breathes fire one day and a flying skillmonkey with a bow the next.
>>
>>52013506
"Unless noted otherwise, all targets of your commands must be able to see or hear you, and you can target yourself with a command."
RAI, yes, commands affect the warlord.
I still don't want tricks to be too strong, but perhaps it's true that learning Distracting Flourish at level 11 isn't particularly exciting. I'll try to work on tricks that provide interesting opportunities that mesh well with high-level abilities but aren't strong by themselves.
The only truly empty level, in my opinion, is 13. Level 9 gives you access to 5-point commands, which are very powerful, and level 17 lets you spend 9 points on a command, which is the pinnacle of your "spellcasting" power. So I think I'll move the level 11 trick to level 13 once I cook up some interesting high-level ones.
>>
>>52012626
I wanna know how that totemist or shaman would work out
>>
>>52013307
>I roll to hit
Nice shenenigans
>>
>>52013451
>Archivist
Useful but not sure where it should fit as an archetype.
>Beguiler
Can be multiclassed though thats not too fun
>Binder
Should definitely have something, that's rad as shit. A warlock who specifically seeks out the temples and shrines of dead deities or sleeping spirits to steal their shit.
>Crusader
Can be done but martials in general need more options imo. I get tired of just swinging only. Even if just some more fun equipment.
>Seeker
Meh
>Rune Priest
A cleric mixed with sorta an artificer who can put spells into objects. Could be unique depending on how it interacts with metamagic.
>Dread necro
There needs to something for necros who want to do more than skeles and zombies. Maybe another archetype specifically for making big shit.
>Duskblade
Meh, feels like pact of the blade. If only touch spells were an actual fucking thing in 5e since there are none of them.
>Factotum
Doesn't seem that great between bards and rogues
>Warden
So he heals and tanks? What offensive shit does he have?
>Healer
That seems like a boring as shit thing to be a full class or even full archetype as.
>Incarnate
Seems interesting though I'm sure many would love to forget alignment
>Warlord
Battlemaster is too much about themselves and not others to take this. Also an Int martial would be cool.
>Shaman
Seems alright though can be an archetype
>Shadowcaster
Spooky caster always fun though if it was busted before i don't quite trust em to fix it
>Soulborn
That seems much better than incarnate but is kinda rolled into oaths.
>>
>>52013608
>Invoker
4E Divine Controller. Basically you are like Angel Summoner from Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit. You call down divine wrath to control the battlefield and affect multiple enemies.

>Swordmage
4E Arcane Defender. You easily pop around the battlefield with minor teleportation and fight with blade and magic in tandem to lock enemies down and keep their attention on you. Consolidation of the longstanding concept of the Fighter Mage.

>Swordsage
3.5 Tome of Battle. Lightly armored mobile. Kind of a Sword Monk who uses maneuvers that are both normal and supernatural in nature. Quick to act and pending on what martial school it focuses on gets different bonuses.

>Totemist
3.5 Magic of Incarnum. Last of the Incarnum classes. Eschews the alignment focus to make Incarnum constructs that mimic the power of MAGICAL BEASTS and NEUTRALITY OF NATURE! Allowing access to a versatile assortment of combat powers.

>Truenamer
3.5 Tome of Magic, Truename Magic. The idea that by reciting truenames you can do different things. The math surrounding this magic is kind of broken and every time you use it in a day it becomes harder to affect the same target. Bonuses for learning target creature's personal true name and with scaling lexicons of powers that are spoken to warp reality.

>Warblade
3.5 Tome of Battle. Medium Armored master of war. Can get fighter only feats at a delay and uses maneuvers and stances with the fastest refresh rate to cleave through battle and be an unconquerable barbarian, or a graceful fencer, or a tactical leader.

>Warmage
3.5 Miniatures Handbook/Complete Arcane Like the Healer, but with mostly blasty evocations and conjurations. Spontaneous caster with a preset list and sudden metamagic abilities built into the class to help it deal damage quickly and help control battlefields. Walking magical siege weapons.

>Ardent
3.5 Basically Psionic Cleric. Enveloped in psionic mantles that work kind of like cleric domains. Full manifester.
>>
>no Shaper / Constructor
I just wanna customize my sweet ectoplasmic pal.
>>
>>52012626
As much as I love Crusaders I feel there are enough options in 5e to play one, between paladin, war/tempest cleric, or zealot barb. Now that I think about it though, I really wouldn't be upset if another Righteous class was introduced.

Deus vult.
>>
I hope they bring back the truenamer and don't fix anything. No UA stage, just release it cold to everyone's disgust.
>>
Does casting Shillelaigh on a club which has had Continual Flame cast on it dismiss the flame?
>>
>>52013807
I don't see why it would.
>>
>>52013451
Tell about the OG elf class old man
>>
>>52013783
Just because Paladins are Divine martials who hit things somewhat well doesn't mean they're Crusaders. The one (maybe) trick they can do with their sword based on their archetype does not replicate the variety or fun of what the ToB classes were meant to represent.

The closest you could get to them now is if you took Battlemaster on a Paladin instead of an Oath of Whatever's features.
>>
>>52013817
So would the Shillelaigh be flaming too?
>>
>>52013829
Casting Shillelagh on a club does not turn it into a literal shillelagh, it's just the name of a spell that empowers most blunt, wooden weapons. It wouldn't get rid of Continual Flame's illusionary fire.

So, I mean, if you really want to blow 50gp on making your stick give your party away at all times, go nuts.
>>
>>52013770
>Divine Mind
3.5 Psionic...basically a half manifester that is to Ardent what Paladin is to Cleric.

>Euridite
3.5 Psionic, Closer to Wizard than a pure Psion, learns powers from other class lists and with some AFCs could turn spells into psionic powers.

>Lurk
3.5 Psionic. the second attempt to create a Psionic Skillmokey. The first was the Psychc Rogue on the WoTC website Mind's Eye Articles. Basically a sneaky rogue with psychic powers and a restrictive sneak attack. Could be a nice rogue archetype.

>Soul Knife
3.5 Psionic. This didn't know what it wanted to be. It occupied a monk kind of territory as a combat class without full BAB and revolved around enhancing a manifested energy blade of the character's will and enhancing it's accuracy and damaging abilities over time. No actual psionic power maifesting. Cool flavor wise.

>Wilder
3.5 Psionic Emotional Outburst Psion. Kind of like the psionic equivalent of the wild mage who could empower their power at the risk of backlash. Less robust power list compared to psion.

>Avenger
4E Divine Power Source Striker. Basically a divine assassin whose main rider ability made them more accurate against a single target. Flavor wise they are the zealots. Outgrown from a April Fools joke from the 3.5 WoTC website where they just took the assassin and called it Avenger and justified how it wasn't evil despite still using poison and having evil descriptor spells and being all about just murder.
>>
>>52013819
In the early days of D&D, some races were classes. This is true of the Dwarf and the Elf in the Basic box of yore.

Here the Elf advanced with the combat prowess of the Warrior and the Casting of the Magic User, for a bit more Experience per level and less hit points than the warrior if memory serves me right.

Why, back in those days our D20's weren't so fancy. We had to walk 15 miles uphill both ways in the snow to get our dice. And the d20 only went from 1-10 so we rolled a d6 with it and set odds to 1-10 and evens from 11-20.
>>
>>52013820
I suppose I should also say I looked at the options in more of a thematic lens. I'm not familiar with the old Crusader class and how it worked, I just think it's not too much a stretch to play any of the classes I mentioned and just say youre a crusader fluffwise.
>>
>>52013770
>Invoker
getting more summons would be neat
>Swordmage
If eldritch knight were better this would already be covered though a mix of him and horizon walker ranger may do the trick
>Swordsage
Monk could cover if he had some more options
>Truenamer
Sounds like a real neat druid archetype. Get regen from a hydra or stonebreath from a gorgon.
>Warblade
Once again, martials need more options in general
>Warmage
If sorcerer had an actual design philosophy he'd already be in
>Ardent
>divine mind
>euridite
>Lurk
>Soul Knife
>Wilder
MYSTIC WHEN
I can't judge these too well without something to compare em to.
>Avenger
Covered in various oaths to varying degrees.
>>
>>52013820
>>52013904
Again, I say to replicate the Crusader in 5E you really just need to apply the design philosphy of the Spell Less ranger to the Paladin. Not all of it of course, because you also have to figure out how to replace Smite, and some of the ranger additions are ranger themed.

Really, just give the Paladin battlemaster maneuvers and some other features to make up for the lack of spells based on the old class and you're probably golden.
>>
>>52013925
I assume you meant Totemist when you wrote Truenamer, because you hit the Totemist on the head with at least one of their actual Incarnum Soulmelds of the Gorgon's Mask.
>>
>>52013936
The issue is that every ToB remake involves "just give them maneuvers", which makes the Battlemaster fucking ass by comparison since the Fighter chassis is boring for the most part, and isn't fun for the other classes either because they're just "the Battlemaster variant of ______".

5E really screwed the pooch when they ditched the martial die from Next.
>>
>>52013966
I did.
I would assume that truenamer would be the same but with outsiders rather than animals.
>>
>>52013766
>>52013925
A Binder archetype for warlocks should be possible, yes.
There could be a Summoner archetype for wizards based around acquisition of minions, either through conjuration or necromancy.
I'm still of the opinion that Warlord deserves to be its own class, rather than just a Valor Bard or a suboptimal Battlemaster/Banneret Fighter.

Outside of those, there's not really much from the old editions that deserves to be imported into 5e. Most of those either exist as archetypes in 5e already or they don't deserve a class, let alone an archetype and can be represented through fluff. Then you've got a minority, like the Incarnum stuff, which is just plain weird.
>>
>>52013972
Well, crusader is to my mind the most straightforward and boring of the ToB classes, even if it has access to the martial school that heals allies...it just feels like it would be a paladin with superiority dice.

That said, I always thought the battlemaster could do with more maneuvers that include level prerequisites that serve as enhanced versions of existing maneuvers either by din of multipliers or stacked affects.
>>
>>52012466
>Three headed baby
That's got to be a rough birth.
>>
>>52014012
>the battlemaster could do with more maneuvers that include level prerequisites that serve as enhanced versions of existing maneuvers either by din of multipliers or stacked affects
The whole thing should become a staple of martials, like spell lists are for casters, with requirements on class, level, or stats (you need X Str to do this). People say this is too much data, but it would invariably be both smaller and more simplistic than the spell lists of casters, which will continue to expand with time.

It would also help with the gish imbalance of casters-as-martials being great, but martials-as-casters being trash, mostly because casters-as-martials wouldn't be filling up with maneuvers.
>>
>>52013506
If you ever end up running anything with the homebrew, let me know.
My Reddit username is SeeShark.
>>
>>52013898
The difference in experience needed to get levels as an elf could be pretty astronomical depending on what class you compare them to.
They needed more than twice as much as a thief to reach level 10, their final level.
>>
>>52013764
> tfw I don't have to be a rules autist to have fun
>>
>>52014127
Yeah, I saw your post to the UA sub a few months ago. I thought it was better than the Tactician shit people keep posting.
>>
>>52012626
How much point would there be in making a new class that is very similar to fighter, but would maybe get less attacks/ASIs and instead get archetype features that do other stuff?
>>
I never know what to play. I really like firbolg as a race but they only seem to make sense being a Druid or ranger or something.

When you make a character, how do you decide what to play? I hate just playing a basic class. Like I would never do champion fighter. That is fuckibg dog shit and crit caters. Boring.

I wanted to try warlock but a friend said that warlocks are basically just ekdritch blast bots. That's it. Who the FUCK wants to spam one cabtrip?!
>>
>>52014334
They can do other things. Believe me. While EB is the signature tool, you can do so much more, though not as often in long combats as your main spell slots are few in number, but refresh with a short rest.
>>
>>52013465
>>52013424
It's MFoV, but it's some of their not-shit homebrew. Went ahead and used it as the racial magic of Halflings in my setting, and while I've only had one PC play with it, they found it to be a pretty good time. And again, it's not as shitty as a lot of MFoV, especially their more recent stuff.
>http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/06/book-of-binding.html

>>52013222
Favored Souls are literally "Cleric: the Sorcerer Version."

>>52013507
And official ones aren't? If the classes or archetypes are at least interesting, I'll take them any day over Champions, Beast Masters, and Four Elements.
>>
>>52014334
In battle, they are EB bots. Out of battle, they are a magical rogue substitute that can solve a wide array of problems with their invocations, class features, and noncombat spells.
>>
>>52014334 I just think of a race, lets say lizardfolk. Now what class would be cool and not completely crap for that class but not generic. Now we got a lizardfolk druid. So what is a feature of lizardfolk? Making crafted weapons. So now we got a boneclub wielding lizardfolk druid that bashes people's heads in.
>>
Berzerker wouldn't be worse/much worse than other barbarians if there was no PAM or GWM
But they would be even worse than all the other classes if there was no PAM or GWM unless they go dex barbarian, in which case you don't need berzerking.
>>
How would you rank the Rogue archetypes? Also I don't really see the benefit of the Thief archetype, what am I missing?
>>
>>52014334
I don't get to play often enough for all my character ideas to see the light of day, or even enough that I can just look at a class and decide that it would be boring to play.
>>
>>52014624
For experienced players:
AT > Thief > Assassin > Swashbuckler > Inquisitive Mastermind
For inexperiened players:
Swashbuckler > AT > Assassin > Mastermind > Inquisitive > Thief
>>
>>52014624
>>52014651
Also, to explain thief, while the climbing is nice it's not really the proper attraction.

If you know what you're doing and know a suitable number of items and have the clearance from the DM, you could potentially do a lot with your bonus action. It kinda depends on your DM allowing things and introducing more items, and it also kinda depends on ignoring the stupid RAI that AT can also do things as a bonus action because 'lol, mage hand'.

Advantage on stealth is absolutely not bad at all, use magic item is again very, very DM dependent and the level 17 ability is fucking great if you ever reach it.
>>
>>52014651
>AT
>anywhere but sitting on the Mastermind and Inquisitive's heads
>>
>>52014688
>AT
>Literally 'I do every rogue archetype's features, but better': The archetype
>Even being anywhere near the same mortal plane as all the other rogue archetypes
>>
>>52014709
You know what else is a walking Mage Hand?
A person.
>>
File: Necroman.png (7KB, 214x369px) Image search: [Google]
Necroman.png
7KB, 214x369px
I'm playing a neutral necromancer hermit that's spent most of his life taking care of an ancient necropolis. He favors necromancy and illusion spells and is essentially a mix between poe-hunter and a hexmaniac. What would be a good feat for a character like this? I was thinking about picking up magic initiate(cleric) for some priestly flavor or dungeon delver since he's spent a good amount of time in cairns and tombs. What do you think?
>>
>>52013344
>archetype connotation
Explain
>>
File: bgsp.gif (977KB, 384x163px) Image search: [Google]
bgsp.gif
977KB, 384x163px
>>52014736
>>
>>52014687
What are some interesting/cool uses for the Thief's abilities? I'm still pretty new and I want to play a rogue, so I'm trying to get a better understanding of the archetypes before I choose.

>>52014709
>>52014651
Same question as above, but for the Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>52014742
Grave Cleric.
>>
>>52014736
>>52014802
An AT using a mage hand can do things that would normally take an action as a bonus action because stupid fucking RAI.
It's not just mage hand.

>Thief
>You can climb!
And AT can spider climb.
>You can use things as a bonus action!
So can a mage hand.

>Assassin
>You can ambush people and get advantage on the first turn!
AT gets magical ambush for enemies having disadvantage on, say, a hold person save, and has the mage hand giving themselves advantage ability.
>You can disguise yourself!
But not as well as an AT using 'disguise self'.

>Swashbuckler
>You get higher initiative!
AT can cast 'enhance ability: cat's grace' on themself for better effect.
>You get sneak attack more often!
AT can mage hand advantage to sneak attack.
>You can auto-disengage after hitting!
Just get the 'mobile' feat.

>Mastermind
>You can grant someone else advantage as a bonus action!
AT can grant themselves advantage as a bonus action.

>Inquisitive
>Always roll an 8 or higher for insight!
ALL rogues can roll 10 or higher for insight once they get the relevant ability.
>You can get sneak attack as a bonus action with some prattle!
Yeah, again, mage hand bonus action give self advantage.

And if that wasn't enough, you get shit like GFB/BB (Direct damage upgrades if you don't use two-weapon fighting and you use melee), haste (Make an attack and sneak attack on your turn, use your action to ready an attack and sneak attack OUTSIDE your turn, too) and find familiar.
>>
>>52013302
Because a lot of people, especially GMs, are fucking stupid.

A lot of people, like you, are of the absolutely retarded idea that evil = Dick.

A lot of people are evil. D&D included. Evil means you are largely selfish, and depending on the type (chaotic, neutral or lawful), you use different means to further your own goals, and you don't particularly care if it hurts people you don't care about.

But here's the thing: unless you are playing a retarded preschool bully, you are not a Dick to everyone around you.

Literally most games has an evil BBEG with legions of followers, because while evil, and full of selfish intents, he is able to gather respect and inspire his followers. He has powerful friends, who would die for him, because they are lifelong friends. They have been through so much to get here, and they trust each other with their lives, and try to fulfill a common goal.

Evil is not "backstabbing bag of Dicks." It never was. The game has just become full of faggots who thinks so, probably because they heard that one story from /tg/ where an evil character was stupid, or met 1 That Guy who did it.

It is meme tier, and it should stop. I've seen experienced GMs ban evil characters, and even fucking chaotic neutral, because they are afraid of how you might play them.

Protip: if they intend to be insufferable assholes, they will be insufferable assholes. Just let them pick whatever damn alignment they want. If they act like retards, and don't stop when you warn them, you kick them out of the group. Or just straight up kick them, if they utter the sentence "it is what my character would do".

It is that simple.
>>
>>52013616
Arcane trickster sounds good.
>>
>>52014822
How exactly is Mage Hand giving you advantage before level 13, that part of the game you're never playing?
>>
>>52014802
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure myself. Throw a bag of ball bearings if your DM allows that special action to be considered a thief bonus action? Use the 'healer' feat? Use a potion? Use holy water or alchemist's fire or something? Open a stuck door? Pull a lever? Set up some sort of barricade? Dynamite everything?

I think the best way to approach it is to discuss things you can do with your bonus action with your DM, as they might allow or might not allow certain things.
If you want to go melee rogue, I'd choose between swashbuckler or AT. AT is great if you want to do other things with your bonus actions while using your action to use GFB/BB and has great utility in the form of spells, swashbuckler... Swashbuckler is an easy hit and run sort.

For ranged rogues, I'd pick between thief (If you have an idea of what you're doing), assassin or AT.
>>
>>52014802
>Same question as above, but for the Arcane Trickster?
You are allowed to take one non Enchantment or Illusion spell from the Wizard list, so you can easily just take Find Familiar. Between the invisible Mage Hand and a familiar, you have a lot of options outside of battle that don't involve face checking traps. Also, the familiar can help grant you advantage in battle with the Help action or can deliver touch spells like Shocking Grasp or Chill Touch. All this utility comes before the fact that you get three other spells to help you do your Roguish things and do damage in battle without just shooting fireballs and arrows.
>>
>>52014880
Level 13 isn't entirely an impossibility, but even if you ignore the level 13 feature AT still have a lot of benefits over other archetypes.
>>
>>52014819
That doesn't help at all
>>
>>52014917
>>52014880
>>52014822
Oh, right, I forgot

I knew I was missing something

>Instead of waiting for level 13 to grant yourself advantage, get find familiar and have a familiar grant youself advantage for at least the first turn of every combat before you revive it after it takes a hit for you if enemies have ranged weapons
>>
One of my players is GOOlock trying to start a cult of cthulhu
Are there any good rules for building/growing an organization out there that I can steal?
>>
>>52014991
Magic initiate gets you find familiar, BB/GFB, and mage hand.
>>
>>52015017
When you could just take a better feat or more Dex? That and you miss out on the extra spells per level.
>>
>>52015017
That's certainly true, but you only get two cantrips (So not BB+GFB+Mage Hand) and if you do pick up mage hand it doesn't use bonus actions. And you're missing out on all the other spellcasting utilities.

If you want to be a melee rogue, it's easier to go AT then pick up mobile than to go swashbuckler and then pick up magic initiate, and it's definitely much harder to not go swashbuckler OR AT and then pick up both magic initiate and mobile (Pick up crossbow expert instead)
>>
File: 1486234211190.png (1MB, 1317x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1486234211190.png
1MB, 1317x1014px
What kind of noises would a dog-sized spider make? One of my players wants to pick up a giant wolf spider as a companion and I figured I'd let them have it, I'm just having trouble thinking about what noises it'd make, which is triggering my autism.
>>
>>52015066
>+2 dex is better than advantage AND an extra d8 damage to your attacks
>>
>>52015098
chittering and skittering.

Spiders don't make a lot of noise, generally.
>>
>>52015104
You get those for being an Arcane Trickster.
>>
So, in my DM's setting there's an, ancient noble bloodline of draconic sorcerers.

The warlock i'm going to play is a charlatan, who poses as one of those nobles for all the benefits it could reap. What spells and invocations should I take to better pass as a sorcerer, then? I figure pact of the chain for a pseudodragon familiar, fiend pact for fire spells, and maybe disguise-self at will to appear to have scales. Anything else?
>>
>>52015098
Chittering.

Making sounds with its limbs and mouth, not with some kind of throat like amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
>>
>>52014822
Well looks like I'm playing an Arcane Trickster.

>>52014901
Yeah the mage hand utility really seems useful. I think that could be fun.

>>52014991
I thought the familiar had to be within 5 feet of an enemy to use the help action
>>
>>52012466
I'm bored, /5eg/

Taking homebrew requests, will do anything save for entire classes probably (Unless someone gives a really good idea).

PDF related is a dump of all of my shit homebrews until now, to give you a feel for what kind of shit I make. That is, mostly going flavor first.
>>
>>52014742
Talk to your GM about the kind of game he wants to run. The feats that increase Intelligence have a bunch of features that are situational at best, but depending on what he has in mind they may just be worth taking.
>>
>>52015137
>You get those for being an Arcane Trickster.
yeah no shit, but that doesn't invalidate the point of taking magic initiate for NON AT's.

If all you like about Arcane Tricksters is attack cantrips and mage hand, you can grab that with magic initiate and get the bonuses from other archetypes.

Dont get me wrong, Trickster is fun as fuck, and i loved playing one, but if that's the ONLY thing you want out of it, just grab the feat.

>>52015178
>Yeah the mage hand utility really seems useful. I think that could be fun.
it's not as useful as you think, in my experience. Gotta be close (30ft), has a verbal component and a 1 minute duration, so enemies are gonna know you are up to something, and you cant be invisible and cast spells at the same time.

>I thought the familiar had to be within 5 feet of an enemy to use the help action
it does, but any attacks against the familiar are attacks NOT against you or the party, and you can always resummon the little bastard after battle.
>>
>>52015098
Rustling, chittering, clicking, clacking, croaking, etcetera.

Experiment a little by making sounds entirely with your mouth, without trying to intentionally use your throat. Click various parts of your tongue against different parts of your mouth for different guttural, wet sounds.
>>
>>52015240
Rework the Orc and Kobold?
>>
>>52015284
>it's not as useful as you think, in my experience. Gotta be close (30ft), has a verbal component and a 1 minute duration, so enemies are gonna know you are up to something, and you cant be invisible and cast spells at the same time.

Arcane Tricksters aren't running around shouting "MAGE HAND" like some sort of anime protagonist bub. The magic words can be whispered or muttered, the hands hidden behind your back. Generally most people won't notice you casting it unless either you want them to or they're looking for you to cast something.
>>
>>52015343
Any specific things you would want to be added, other than fluff and pretty pictures?
>>
>>52015240
Wu Jen.
>>
>>52015343
Hey, I have an Orc rework, it's just not in pretty pdf format.

+2 Strength, +1 Constitution, -1 Intelligence
Speaks Common and Orc
Intimidation Proficiency
Aggressive
Darkvision 60
Powerful Build
Savage Attacks

Still slightly less powerful than Half-Orcs, but now considerably less of a trap option.
>>
>>52015371
Make them less handicapped and one dimensional than they are in Volo's.
>>
>>52015388
That is pretty vague.

Would you want it as an entire class (I'd rather not go there) or as a Wizard Tradition? Making it reminiscent of the older class is pretty much impossible as a tradition, because I would need to expand the spell list considerably, even make their own spell list for it.

>>52015462
Aight. Although, Kobolds are gonna be Small, meaning they are almost a trap option ANYWAY.

I'll see what I can do.

By the way, why don't Halflings have Powerful Build? They are fluffed as being as strong as humans, what the fuck?
>>
>>52015368
>Arcane Tricksters aren't running around shouting "MAGE HAND" like some sort of anime protagonist bub
no but the point is, if you have to speak to cast the spell AND be within 30ft, there aren't too many situations were you aren't at risk of being found out.

in my experience, the only times mage hand was better than me doing something myself was when i had to disarm traps. All other encounters I had, it was easier and more stealthy for me to just get up and do "the thing"
>>
>>52015155
Pseudodragon familiar and fire spells sound good but you should check with the GM to make sure that they don't in fact abhor Pseudodragons or descend from blues. Anything that can alter your appearance/improve your bluff or any spell that dragon bloodline Sorcerers also learn should do the trick.
>>
>>52015520
Then you're kind of stupid. I've got an arcane trickster right now, and mage hand has helped him/saved him many times in just a few sessions.
>>
>>52015520
If someone whispered 30 feet away from me, I probably wouldn't hear them unless I was actively listening for it.
>>
>>52015178
Owls and flying snakes have 'flyby' and won't provoke opportunity attacks.
>>
>>52015556
or maybe I'm smart, by not getting myself into those kinds of situations in the first place. Huh? How about that, smart guy?

Like i said though, I personally, have not been in many situations where Mage Hand was easier and quieter than my character just getting up and performing the action himself, with the exception of long range trap disabling.
>>
>>52015586
It should be noticable, because otherwise you can counter counterspell by just saying 'I do the spell really quietly!'
If you want to do it subtley, get sorcerer's subtle spell.
>>
>>52015676
In battle, it can be assumed that everyone is hyper focused on the enemy combatants.

But if you're just fucking around in a city, or sneaking through a building, with no one alert? Then no.
>>
>>52015522
They descend from golds, so fire spells seem about right. You bring up a good point about the pesudodragons though, I'll ask the DM about it.
>>
>>52015343
I figured out how to fix kobolds just now.

Give them a +1 to Charisma (Draconic heritage and all that, they're probably lousy with minor sorcerers)

Strength only gets a -1, instead of a -2

Those two changes bring them from the single weakest race to being on par with kenku and dragonborn.
>>
>>52015688
>>52015676
Also, even if an enemy combatant hears your mage hand magic words:

1. They might not have the arcanic knowledge to recognize that it's a mage hand
2. The mage hand is still invisible.
>>
>>52015722
I was thinking putting something to that effect, except maybe put the +1 to Intelligence, actually (even though Charisma is a valid option, maybe subrace-specific), because the Volo fluff bits do tell about how they're clever little buggers.

Also, maybe a little nod to Tucker's Kobolds.
>>
>>52014822

>You can use things as a bonus action!
>So can a mage hand.

No, no you can't. Mage Hand can't use objects in the same way Thief does.
>>
>>52015688
>But if you're just fucking around in a city, or sneaking through a building, with no one alert?
in those situations, mage hand is only useful provided there's something stopping you from just doing it yourself.. Which of course, there may be times that is true, but more often, you are probably just doing it because you can. And there's nothing wrong with that, mind you.

>>52015753
>2. The mage hand is still invisible.
yeah but the thing it is manipulating is not, so it is good for throwing a switch or hitting a button, but not any more useful for transporting objects than regular mage hand.
>>
>>52015795
>yeah but the thing it is manipulating is not, so it is good for throwing a switch or hitting a button, but not any more useful for transporting objects than regular mage hand.

And? In combat you can just float the object 30 feet above the reach of the creature you stole it from. And if they haven't noticed you taking it, they aren't looking behind/above them anyways.

It sounds like you had a DM who went out of his way to make it suck, which is bad DMing generally. Either that, or my earlier "you are stupid" theory.
>>
>>52014074
The main issue is that martials and casters got a massive power reduction for 5e, and its not clear how casters would have to be souped up to compensate.

>martials-as-casters being trash

Hunter-rangers are pretty good and paladins are AMAZING, probably the best class to have in your party, period. This problem is only with the Arcane Trickster and the Eldritch Knight, who have to contend with the fact that they are only as good as the other archetypes while requiring the most useless stat in the game if they want offensive spells.
>>
>>52015830
>>52015830
>And? In combat you can just float the object 30 feet above the reach of the creature you stole it from. And if they haven't noticed you taking it, they aren't looking behind/above them anyways.

In combat, I shank the motherfucker in the face and take his loot from his cold rotting corpse. or if he dropped his weapon or some such nonsense, i either took it and ran, or used the often underestimated spell "Catapult"

Seriously, that spell is way better than people give it credit for.

>It sounds like you had a DM who went out of his way to make it suck, which is bad DMing generally. Either that, or my earlier "you are stupid" theory.

No, i had a rogue that could slip cuffs like nobody's business, could stealth like a motherfucker, outrun anything we faced, and boots of spider climb plus invisibility led to very little i couldn't accomplish.
>>
>>52014600
Berserkers aren't bad at all. Its only that people are desperately obsessed with their bonus action shit and comparing it to PAM.
>>
>>52015240
Rules for building an organization.
>>
>>52014600
I just find the exhaustion to be ridiculous.
>>
>>52015926
Will see what I can do once I work out these Kobolds and Orcs first. Pretty easy fixes, to be honest, but they need to be balanced nonetheless.
>>
>>52013451
You didn't QUITE get Seeker right.
Basically, 4e's PHB ranger had zero spells, and were basically just fighters but DPS focused while fighter was tanky.

Seeker however, was basically them jamming Druidic magic back onto ranger, and giving them some battlefield control.

There isn't really a reason to put it back into 5e because it's already *in* 5e.
>>
>>52015940
Could you elaborate? Ridiculous price to pay, or ridiculous in general?
>>
>>52015517
>They are fluffed as being as strong as humans
Where does it say that?
>>
>>52015767
>Mage hand can do thing!
>No, mage hand can't do thing.
No, mage hand CAN do thing!
What evidence do you have to say otherwise?

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/11/can-mage-hand-use-a-healers-kit-to-stabilize-at-range/

See, mage hand allows you to 'manipulate an object'. It's not quite the same wording as 'Use an object', but it generally applies to the same stuff if I'm getting this right, allowing them to do things such as use a healer's kit as a bonus action much like thief can.
>>
>>52013608
Warden was kinda weird in 4e as well. Compared to most tanks, Warden had the MOST MOST health of every class, and wasn't so much focused with drawing aggro through debuffing foes as becoming a walking debuff to everything in its horrible rape zone.
Primeval Guardian Ranger does just this, thankfully.
>>
>>52013820
>Just because Paladins are Divine martials who hit things somewhat well doesn't mean they're Crusaders.

It'd be easier to list things essential to Crusaders that couldn't just be made into Paladin/Cleric spells.

Almost everything they do is smiting shit, healing shit, and making half assed attacks that give them trifling amounts of DR.

>inb4 white raven tactics
>>
I want to play a character that never once uses a weapon in his entire adventuring career and instead just punches everything. Should I go full monk or multiclass?
>>
>>52016079
Full monk is fine.
>>
>>52015517
Halflings don't have a carry weight reduction. They (and the other small races) can already carry as much as a human.
>>
>>52016127
Naturally. Square-cube law. A halfling that is half the size of a human weighs one-fourth as much, which means he has all that extra capacity to carry more shit around despite his tiny size (and his own shit is also 1/4th as heavy).

This is counterbalanced by the fact that halflings are closer to the center of the earth, where gravity is stronger, so things weigh a little bit more.
>>
>>52015098
Depends, do you have a veteran with PTSD in the group? If so, don't be too realistic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZszAaJyVTc
>>
>>52015795
>yeah but the thing it is manipulating is not, so it is good for throwing a switch or hitting a button, but not any more useful for transporting objects than regular mage hand.
You don't seem to understand Mage hand Legerdemain. I suggest you reread the ability.
>>
>>52014833
Yeah, to be honest I've never once understood why an evil character has to be a dick.

In my mind the best evil character doesn't want people to know they're evil and would go through great lengths to manipulate others to further their goals. Once you're outed as "that guy who plans to murder everyone that stands in your plans to take over the world" you will have a much harder time.
>>
>>52016079
If you're gonna be dex go full monk.
If you want to be str go barb with tavern brawler, grapple and hit people with chairs.
>>
>>52015957
I would like to specify that I'm in need of rules for me as a DM to allow my players to build their organization.
>>
>>52016217
Evil characters are self-interested. They survive and prosper because they can bully, cow, or manipulate lesser figures into doing things for the their own benefit, hide behind or from the law, at a distance from others, and work towards acquiring greater power (or whatever it is they want) at a pace slow enough to avoid serious notice.

Being in an adventuring party changes these dynamics. The situations that a party finds themselves in will often leave "power" just laying around for the taking, and all that prevents the party from doing so is being nice guys and valuing things that Evil characters don't necessarily. You are also stuck in a group of other people for a long period of time, so all your little quirks and misdeeds are noticed, remembered, and add up. And why ARE they in the adventuring party? What is it about traveling around the world and almost always slaying shit that makes them think they're going to accomplish their goals faster or more easily? They want the world-ending plot doodad, don't they? They want to take the BBEG's macguffin and use it for themselves. They're an asshole.
>>
>>52015912
Their gimmick is literally 'I get bonus action attacks' which feats already grant. I mean, that'd be cool if everybody else wasn't already doing it WITHOUT exhausting themself.

>>52015940
Honestly it'd be fine without the exhaustion, not unbalanced at all compared to feat users, but kinda boring.
>>
>>52016194
if you are referring to "You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Perception) check."

I can do that anyways with my hands. but if you are trying to do something like float some keys across a hallway, those keys will be visible for any idiot guard to see.
>>
>>52016228
>not going Grappler Thief Rogue and setting hunting traps on your enemies every round with your bonus action
>>
Alright everyone, I ask a favor.

Just finishing up prepping Nbod's Room (Dungeon #51)

At the end of the adventure is a +3 Cutlass that was once a pirate captains.

Well that sounds borings and my brain is blanking. Any ideas of an alternative item? Should be pirate themed if possible. Doesn't need to be a weapon.

Thanks!
>>
>>52016320
A peg leg that is a gun.
>>
How does the melee weapon attack clause work for a barbarians rage? Does it break down to (melee weapon) attack or melee (weapon attack)?

When I throw my handaxe, a simple melee weapon, do I add my rage damage to it?
>>
This week on terrible adventures:

>we arrive in Menzoberranzan
>"I look around for the magic shop with the most intriguing sign"
>"One has a sign that says "no loitering""
>barbarian purposefully loiters
>"a cannonball falls on you from the sky"
>WileECoyote.jpg

>we talk to a priestess of Lolth
>"what's your Dex?"
>17
>"you lose 50 gold pieces"
>character doesn't notice
>spend a while talking to her
>priestess is apparently continuing to steal gold from me while we're talking
>nobody in the party notices, only I can notice and apparently she keeps rolling higher

>"Do a perception check"
>pass
>"You see a figure running along the rooftops with a katana"
>"I keep an eye on them and talk to my fellow party member"
>"The katana wielder attacks! and she gets advantage because you were busy talking"

>complain about how I keep losing gold for reasons I can't control
>"yeah because you want to use it to buy explosives and blow up people in the last city"
>mfw

Starting to lose it with this DM. Wonder if I can persuade the monk player who died last week to roll a nuclear druid.
>>
File: 9467-10093-13188.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
9467-10093-13188.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>52016320
Easy, Trident of Fish Command.

Give me a hard one.
>>
>>52016320
+2 Cutlass.
A creature attuned to the sword can cast the 4th level spell “Control Water”. It must complete a long rest before it can do so again.
>>
File: WjSyhgF.jpg (26KB, 337x498px) Image search: [Google]
WjSyhgF.jpg
26KB, 337x498px
>>52016378
Your only options left are to hardcore metagame everything and try to beat the DM.

It won't be easy, considering a DM can make dragons appear out of nowhere and has absolutely no shame in doing that sort of bullshit.
>>
>>52016364
You should, because it would be retarded otherwise. Tell RAW, RAI, and anyone arguing those two to go fuck themselves, because the entire point of Rage is "you swing things better", and throwing is a function of swinging, ergo throwing an object harder because you are Raging should inflict additional Rage damage.
>>
>>52016439
Yeah, it's getting that way. I've been playing like that for a while, but I think our reasonable Rogue player snapped today after she poured a load of unstoppable damage on him for no reason. I think I saw the moment his soul fled his body.
>>
>>52016378
If I had your DM, I wouldn't let myself get anywhere near Drow City.
>>
>>52016307
Honestly I think the major benefit of Berserkers is immunity to fear and charms while raging, since those are some of the biggest weaknesses of big-hitters martial classes.

>>52016309
I think the intention is for it to work like any Invisibility spell, anything the hand is carrying goes invisible with it.

>>52016378
Wow. Is that the same DM charging 800gp for oil or something like that?
>>
>>52016528
That's not a bad point. It's a good feature, though still a bit situational much like the totem ones are.

However, simply having a paladin (especially devotion) can mostly negate (entirely negate that) and it isn't strong enough to justify the level 3. Also, being at level 6, it's kinda a level after the best point to multiclass out of barbarian if you choose to go that path (Though really even if the level 3 feature was made better it'd probably be more of a normal barbarian thing than a barbarogue thing)

Also it was 8000gp for oil per barrel
>>
>>52016528
That's the one. 8000gp, to be exact. I've actually abandoned the plan, I know she'll never let it work, but it's convenient to let her keep thinking it because it stops her thinking too deeply about other things I might do with the money.

>>52016512
Well, my character is actually from Menzo to begin with, and we needed to pass through to get to a place called Bedlam to advance the plot. I was expecting backstabbing, being unable to trust anyone, and the family my character had there being an issue. I wasn't expecting random cannonballs, no one providing any help, and money and health just disappearing randomly.

Plus, we have two surface elves in our party, and although I've pointed out we should probably disguise them or something, they haven't had any real problems. Of all the issues we /could/ face, the logical one wasn't one.
>>
File: 6e33a680267964e837563969a7aecd0d.png (799KB, 758x1290px) Image search: [Google]
6e33a680267964e837563969a7aecd0d.png
799KB, 758x1290px
i want to play a white mage like pic related
which class is the best for it ? (i don't want to wear armor)
>>
>>52016658
Life Cleric.
>wear armor
>say it's a robe
>>
>>52016658
Theurgist wizard.

If you don't get a whack around the head for overpowered.
>>
>>52012466
what are my options as a DM if my player died today, not really his fault... i dont want to rip his char sheet, but i dont want to "an angel comes down and saves you"
>>
>>52016658
>>52016664
Ask your GM if you can substitute your Cleric armour proficiency for the Monk's Unarmoured Defense feat.
>>
>>52016710
Uh, have the party carry his body back to town for a rezz spell. They've got a few hundred gold on hand, right?
>>
>>52016658
The Theurgist Wizard from one of the Unearted Arcanas is probably your best bet. They get domain spells and abilities, as well as access to the Cleric Spell list.
>>
>>52016574
I really wish they had given Berserkers the ability to clear one level of exhaustion on a short rest, it's honestly all the archetype needs.

>>52016580
>8000gp
Jesus christ. Do you think you could have a reasonable conversation with her at all? I mean, by this point most of the players should be getting fed up with her shit. Talk to each of them privately and see if they're also frustrated with this, then you can all approach the DM together and tell her how the way she's running the game isn't fun.
>>
>>52016728
the problem is, the map is a desert in a huge conflict, the only city is off limits, so they dont really have many options. its kind of a survival game
>>
>>52016658
Tranquility monk.

Just don't even bother fighting, ever.
>>
>>52016710
>>52016749
Make it a new plothook to bring said character back. Like maybe have the player take a role of a secondary character for the time, maybe?
>>
>>52016749
Guess your party's hunting for the mythical firebird, whose single blazing tailfeather can restore the dead to life.
>>
>>52012466
What's your favorite dnd setting? And why?
>>
>>52016749
>its kind of a survival game
Well then I guess they failed at that, didn't they?

Alternatively, if there is war, they could find an army which has high level cleric to bring back any dead officials and commanders. Your party can try to convince whoever is in charge to let the cleric use one of his limited 5th level slots to raise the PC, in exchange for the party serving in this army in upcoming battles or some other mission, like infiltrating past enemy lines and sabotaging their resources.
>>
>>52016528
>I think the intention is for it to work like any Invisibility spell, anything the hand is carrying goes invisible with it.
If it did, it would be amazing, but there is absolutely no indication that it is supposed to work like that, and as a player I am a rules purist, as a DM i am far more flexible for the players
>>
>>52016759
i thought about raising him as a deathknight, same level, but i cant find a good deathknight homebrew..

>>52016772
by the time they find said firebird, which they already are after btw, the body would decompose... also our wizard is taking the most weird shit spells... catapult ? tiny hut ?

>>52016812
they already met this company, but they became hostile to each other..
>>
>>52016710
Bring them back as a (nerfed) revenant to complete one last thing the character really wished they could've done.
>>
>>52016828
The first answer in this link kind of sums up my point: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/77119/does-an-arcane-tricksters-invisible-mage-hand-conceal-objects-it-carries

Doesn't make any sense that you can pickpocket something with an invisible mage hand and the thing just floats visibly mid-air.
>>
>>52016741
>Do you think you could have a reasonable conversation with her at all?

>two of us making jokes about casting a couple of spells that work well in tandem
>"stop trying to break the game over there"
>"It's a legit strategy"
>"I don't care, it's breaking the game. Rules lawyered!"

>"I want to buy a ring of mind shield"
>"how much money do you have?"
>"uh, 700gp"
>"it's an uncommon item - that's going to be about 10,000gp"
>"but-"
>"DM ruling"

>"I'm looking for a way to prevent the god that resurrected me from being able to kill me by snapping his fingers"
>"only way is by negotiating it with him"
>can still kill me in the temple of his enemies
>no way of hiding
>can always see what I'm doing

I'd say, probably not.

As for other players, this is pretty much everyone's first game, it's a newbie group, save for her. Everyone else is generally going along with it, but I think the last couple of sessions, where she killed off the monk (to a degree his own fault, but still harsh) and this one where she permanently scarred the Rogue without him being able to do anything might have shifted things.

It's not as easy as if it were a private group. It's a big weekly meetup and she just runs one of the tables, so if we have a go at her, it poisons the entire gaming well.
>>
>>52016851
You think the tail of the fucking firebird cares about how decomposed your party member's corpse is? He's the FUCKING FIREBIRD
>>
>>52016851
>they already met this company, but they became hostile to each other
Then if they want their party member back, they'll have to swallow their pride and go back to beg for his life. Or, I mean, what about the opposing company? Don't they have a cleric too?

Eh, catapult is situational but Leomund's tiny hut is a great spell to avoid ambushes and random encounters during a long rest.
>>
>>52016893
>5e
>Wanting to buy a magic item
I mean, she sounds very anti-fun, but she's sort of in the right in that particular case.
>>
>>52016905
so what about the druid player ? i want him to be part of the story... firebird search is fine, but he would just be AFK for a few sessions

>>52016872
i actually like this idea

>>52016938
beg ? ... they would never
>>
>>52016851
Anyone know Animate Dead?

My shitty homebrew at >>52015240 has rules for playing intelligent skellingtons and their ilk.
>>
>>52014981
Grave cleric is literally made to play exactly what you're describing. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>52016893
How many players are there? If there's enough, take them and run a game yourself. Is this meetup like Adventurer's League or something else entirely? There's gotta be something you can do, anon. I mean what's the point of gaming if you have a DM who completely kills the fun?
>>
>>52016959
the wizard has the necromancy archetype, and yes he loves raising stuf.. but raising a player as a skelly ? wth.. + he would be bound to the wizards will
>>
>>52016944
Well, she was the one who suggested we should get something to protect ourselves against a mind flayer. She gave two of us weird anti-psychic head cages.

>>52016997
There's about 5-6 of us in the core group at this point and we cycle in randomers. It's a semi-open table, so if there's a chair not taken, someone gets shoved in.

I would run a game myself, but there's only about 4-5 tables at any given time. Knowing what she's like, she'd get super bitter about people leaving her table for another, and hate me especially, and that would sour the whole place.

For now, I'm planning to ride it out until the end of the campaign, and then run one myself. I've got massive amounts of resources already planned out, it's my happy place where I go to write after sessions like today.
>>
>>52016959
>>52017004
By RAW it's not even just 'bound to the wizard'. The corpse is not animated by the soul that departed it - the body is a mere puppet filled with some shadowey dark magic shit from the shadowfel when you use animate dead. Actually bringing back the deceased's soul is beyond animate dead's intended capacity.

But, uhh, yeah, I guess if you want to do a 'you can also use animate dead as a reincarnate except reincarnates into a skeleton' then sure.
>>
>>52016946
If you go for the firebird idea, the player of the dead druid could play a temporary character, an NPC or even some intelligent monster. Might be a cool experience for a player to control some weird creature with different powers, but make sure the monster CR is not higher than the party's level, preferably lower.

If you go for revenant, since you have a necromancer in the party, you could give them a chance to do something cool, like a ritual to bind the druid's soul back into his body as a revenant. As long as he can't do it more than once or to more than one soul it should be fine.
>>
>>52017004
I actually had rules for it in the Homebrew. Soulbound Undead have conscious and thus cannot be Commanded after they awaken. Also, if anyone knows the spell, they can do the Ritual of Undead Rebirth, which I also in the homebrew.

I should have clarified that it's not JUST a skellington, it's a byproduct of the Animate Dead spell "failing" because the body still had fragments of the old soul left.
>>
>>52017069
To me it sounds like she's already souring the place for you guys. And it doesn't matter if you try to use overpowered characters or prepare contingencies for any shit she throws at you, because it's clear she has no restraint to pull bullshit out of her ass. Any attempt to one-up her will result in being one-upped yourself, because in-game she has the power to do that.

As a DM, the thing I'm concerned about the most is my players having fun. I don't know if that concerns her at all, but if the whole table went and told her respectably that they're not having a good time and asked her to play WITH you guys rather than AGAINST you, it might have an effect on her.
>>
>>52016451
Sounds reasonable to me. And a barbarian is nothing if not reasonable.
>>
>>52016658
Depends on which final fantasy you're talking about. I've put a lot of thought into this, and I think that tempest cleric is the most thematically appropriate. They provide healing as well as the wind & water nature magic that white mages are known for. The only issue is that you need to make a build for it that ignore's tempest clerk's heavy armor proficiency, but that's about it. I'm basing this mostly on FFXIV, which I play a lot of, but I've also played I and III.
>>
>>52016881
yes, but kinda maybe sort of possibly implying that it might do something isnt a great basis for a player arguing for a rule.
>>
>>52016307

>Their gimmick is literally

You keep obsessing and harping over *one* element of the berserker subclass.
1. It does more damage than PAM.
2. It allows them to go GWM first.
3. Allowing you to use a greater range of magic weaponry found in a campaign is a seriously underestimated benefit. For example, in HotDQ by far the best item found is a +2 to hit, +2d6+2 to damage greatsword. PotA also has a bunch of oddball, but very effective, weapons as well. The magic weapon tables are also gonna turn up a ton of non usable items as well.

More importantly, there are a significant amount of creatures in the MM that have YOU LOSE as an ability that is thwarted by Mindless Rage.

Monsters with fear and charm include, but are not limited to: Aboleth, Androsphinx, Banshee, Beholder, Cambion, Demiliches, Dryad, Ghost, Hag Coveys & Sea Hags in general, Harpy, Lamias, Liches, Mummy, Nagas (Bone & Spirit), Mummy Lord, Oni, Rakshasa, Succubus, Ultroloth, Vampire.

Of these, most monstrous charm effects go beyond the usual "you can't hit them" ability to be "you get flipped over to team bad guy for an hour or a day." Fear is devastating under the best of circumstances, but again, many monsters have an even stronger form of fear, or one that is a setup for instant death abilities.

So its weird to see people screeching and wailing over berserker because "JUST TAKE PAM" when they're missing the fact that not only is PAM is not good for all campaigns and that the berserker is protected against the #1 kind of "you fuckin lose" effect category. Totemists may have a more broadly useful level 3 ability, but berserkers have an undeniably superior level 6 ability.
>>
>>52016364
Melee weapon attack, yes
>>
>>52016664
You know nothing about white mages. Aero and Water nigga. Tempest cleric is way closer.
>>
>>52017270
You're probably right. I am thinking about at least talking to the rogue. He and I tend to end up leading the party the majority of the time, and I'm pretty sure I saw his happiness die today.
>>
>>52016733
Theurgist wizard is much more like Final Fantasy's Scholar job than White Mage.
>>
>>52016574
"Hoping someone plays a paladin" really isn't a valid argument against berserkers.
>>
>>52017102
iirc his homebrew features soulbound undead, which can spontaneously arise
>>
>>52017366
And FF's white mage is derived from the D&D cleric, complete with hitting people with blunt weapons.
>>
I haven't read too much into it or thought much about theorycrafting it.

What's the consensus on what makes the Theurg overpowered?
>>
>>52017457
Well I might've just answered that for myself.

>you get your clerics 17th level ability at level 14
Uh.
>>
>>52017457
Wizard, arguably the most powerful full caster class, that already sports the best spell list by a mile, now also gets Cleric spells. Also >>52017480.
>>
>>52017377
The fact there are better ways to solve a problem (Simply having a paladin on your team means it's no longer a problem at all) is a good argument, even if it's not perfect.

Not all teams will have paladins, but some will.

>>52017302
>Go GWM first
Yes, for your first 1-3 levels you'll have some advantage, though there is the fact you can avoid variant human and not have to wait until level 8 as a non-variant human to get all the feats.
>Deals more damage than PAM
Hardly enough to be worth it when you don't get it when you're not raging (unlike PAM), when you've just raged (already used your bonus action) and you get exhaustion levels.

>Magical items
GWM still holds you to a limited range of weapons - Mauls, greatswords and bigger polearms.
And, a lot of the time, there are even DMs who tailor magical items a bit, or allow players to modify a magical item (Quite often you could sensibly modify them a bit, especially when you already have the key cutting part of it)

And, I still won't deny that the level 6 feature is good, but I still won't accept that even with all of those examples it justifies it as an entire archetype. Don't forget, you only remove one level of exhaustion every long rest, and if you don't frenzy all the time then your damage will drop behind someone feat-heavy.

If exhaustion was removed, I'd definitely say it's a valid barbarian choice.
>>
>>52017288
I agree, it should be specified, hopefully in some Errata. Mage Hand Legerdemain being able to obscure from sight any small item is not a stretch at all.

>>52017351
Good luck, anon. Those things are stressing, which is sad because that's the opposite of what a game should be about.
>>
>>52017558
>Simply having a paladin withing 10ft of you at all times means it's no longer a problem at all
FTFY
>>
Would a character whose mother was human and father a half orc be a half orc or human? I imagine half orc stats would make more sense but I'm not sure if this is covered by the lore.
>>
>>52017664
I mean, play what you want?
>>
>>52017664
Maybe human with Orcish traits. You can ask your GM, and if you're GM, just make up something for a demiorc.
>>
Does anyone know where to get a decent variety of stat blocks for human/humanoid NPCs? The pitiful selection in the MM and Volo's is killing me and fuck making character sheets for them all.
>>
>>52017664
1 drop rule
>>
>>52017725
See what you think of this
>>
I've been seeing a lot of Gnoll content which I think comes from 5e

Does it have a lot of unique Gnolls? I'm looking for something other than just grunts. I have the death knight, at least.
>>
>>52017621
Both you and the paladin are melee characters and should be expected to be fairly close together (ESPECIALLY if you're a wolf barbarian). If something does hit and it's fear/charm, then a paladin with the appropriate aura can wander over to suppress it.

The real problem here is that the auras are level 6/7/10(or was it 12?) which means it might not always apply for the lower level campaigns.
>>
What are all the spells that cause knockback (not including EB with the invocation)?

I can only think of a few off the top of my head like thunderwave.
>>
>>52017747
Just got that off DMs guild actually, will have a peruse
>>
>>52017766
Aura of Devotion (charm) is 7th level, Aura of Courage (fear) is 10th.

Most importantly, those Auras only apply the moment you're trying to resist the effect, they can't suppress what already settled in. They prevent the effect, they don't suppress or remove it.
>>
File: Kobold 2.0 beta.jpg (167KB, 773x935px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold 2.0 beta.jpg
167KB, 773x935px
>>52015343
Here's a beta for kobolds. Gonna start working on Orcs now.
>>
>>52017577
>I agree, it should be specified, hopefully in some Errata. Mage Hand Legerdemain being able to obscure from sight any small item is not a stretch at all.
yes and no, a small coin? sure. but mage hand can carry 10 lbs, turning a bucket of water invisible? maybe not so much.
>>
>>52017897
I need to learn to make pages that nice.
>>
>>52017876
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/31/does-aura-of-devotion-suspend-an-already-charmed-ally/

I'm reading otherwise.
>>
>>52017916
It's all just the Homebrewery.
>>
>>52017916
It's just Homebrewery.

Though, to be entirely honest, I could make them about as-good-looking without it, I'm just lazy and don't want to bring out Indesign every time.
>>
shit I accidentally typed "despite the heavy armor proficiency" twice
>>
>>52017962
Yeah, despite the heavy armor proficiency, I think that would be a good choice, despite the heavy armor proficiency.
I say you go for it.
>>
>>52017452
In FFI and FFII white mage was practically the vanilla D&D cleric in videogame form, but it started to take on its own unique identity as a healer who draws elemental magic from nature in FFIII and onward, with spells like Aero and Stone. Due to the the almost druidic nature of their magic, I was thinking nature cleric might be a good fit for them for a while, but nature cleric focuses almost entirely on spells that have to do with plants and animals, like Animal Friendship and Plant Growth, which are nothing like a White Mage. Because of this, I think the Tempest domain is much more appropriate, despite the heavy armor proficiency. It's not like it's impossible to make a light or medium armor build for it, after all; just take variant human for medium armor master and have dex as your primary physical ability.
>>
>when your map needs another 170 location names
HOLY SHIT I'VE RUN OUT OF THINGS TO ALTER BEYOND RECOGNITION
>>
File: forty keks.jpg (15KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
forty keks.jpg
15KB, 292x257px
>>52017991
>>
>>52017558
>Not all teams will have paladins, but some will.

lets say about 3 in 4 teams have paladins
of those about 1 in 3 are devotion paladins
that's not great odds that you will have your charm problem taken care of by someone else, and they don't take care of the fear problem til level 10 in any case

As a general rule, ANYTHING that has the counter argument of "take one of the most broken race in the game plus the most broken feat in the game" does not even come close to proving that its a "trap option."
>>
>>52017766
7/10 and hoping your party doesn't play the hippy or edgy paladin variants doesn't strike me as a winning plan.

At a minimum, I'm inclined to think that charm/fear immunity during a rage is way better than bear rage's resistance to most forms of nonphysical damage. The wolf's advantage generation depends on party composition, but its likely to turn up much sooner than level 7.
>>
>>52018006
Or land druid.
>>
What feats do you never see used?
>>
>>52018059
Level 6 paladins still provide a save throw boost to further make it harder for the barbarian to be affected.

A 25% chance of one of the main redeeming features being invalidated is a pretty big deal. Granted, much like a wolf barbarian, you can just choose not to play it if you don't see any synergy, but berzerker sells itself as a 'hit things really hard!' barbarian which it's... Only doing pretty suboptimally. Not a bad choice if it's a new player who doesn't get all this feat fuckery, though.
>>
>>52018141
Savage attacker, for good fucking reason.
>>
>>52017897
OR here. This looks really good so far. Thanks a lot!
>>
>>52018141
Keen Mind.
>>
Found out today one of my players renames all his Abilities to better fit his character on his sheet. Feels like it's a nice touch.
>>
>>52018117
Wolf barbarian's advantage is great if you have a lot of synergy. If you say that 1/3 of teams are melee heavy, that's only 2/3 of the time you should even dare pick anything else and choose between bear and berzerker.

At that point..

The main argument against bear is 'You're already so tanky, you don't need to be even more tanky'. Charm/fear can prevent you from dealing damage, which might matter more. But, I find non-physical damage to be much, much more common than charm/fear things, from experience. Not so sure how it is with other people. I can see some people having more issues with effects than damage.

It seems kind of a sham in any case that the level 3 feature barely works, not even giving you an attack the turn you enter rage and only really being servicable about once at the end of every day, unless you really want to push the limit. Don't even get started on if you get downed mid-fight and have to rage again. And berzerkers are still open to a number of non-charm and non-frighten effects, especially if your enemy is a particularly smart spellcaster that notices those sorts of spells won't work yet has other spells to use.
>>
>>52018145

>A 25% chance of one of the main redeeming features being invalidated is a pretty big deal.

A 25% chance, 9 levels into the game... not counting the fact that unless the paladin and barbarian always A) have good luck with initiative and B) always go for the same targets he's not gonna in the aura to begin with.

>but berzerker sells itself as a 'hit things really hard!' barbarian which it's... Only doing pretty suboptimally.

Its competition is A) guy who tanks slightly better and B) guy whose feature is just as likely to be "invalidated" if you have a proning guy (battlemaster, open hand, etc), only for a broader part of the game.
>>
With all this talk of Barbarians I'm wondering what people think the best to worst is. I'd say the UA Zealot one is pretty great and the Berserker and Ancestral Guardian are the worst.
>>
>>52018268
Berserker and the Spikey Shield guy are the worst.
>>
>>52018314
Forgot about Battlerager. They really should've just focused the whole archtype on grappling and unarmed combat for Barbarians.
>>
>>52017927
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/787158307815337984

Weird.

Honestly I think it's better to go with Mearls answer this time, because consider the effect high level paladins would have on the world and evil plots? The paladin just strolls by the mind-washed cultists and suddenly they all realize they don't want to be there. Or aboleth slaves, vampire subjects, etc.
>>
>>52018242
At least the paladin's aura is always on, not just while raging. Except while unconscious.

Really, the real problem here is that if berzerker's covering a 'resists charm/fear' niche... Why not just play devotion paladin? 1 level later, you're completely immune to charm (And 4 levels later immune to fear), have +CHAMOD to all saves against shit in the first place, convey these immunities and save boost to everybody else AND you do burst damage better by smiting shit rather than exhausting yourself to do just slightly better damage.

Bear capitalizes on something paladin isn't as great at - being tanky. Sure, paladins can do that, but they don't have physical resistance and all that, even if they might have better AC sometimes.
Wolf has something the paladin simply doesn't have - Giving everyone advantage.
Berzerker supposedly lies somewhere between a bear and devotion because it kinda has a resist to charm and fear and kinda has some damage resistance but isn't either, and honestly doesn't seem to be helping the team with that.

>>52018380
Yeah, when I googled it I saw both answers. Mearls has disagreed with Crawford in sage advice before with things like magic missile.
Officially, crawford's word is above Mearls'.

The paladin merely suppresses the effect I believe, it doesn't completely remove the effect. Once he walks away again, they'll be brainwashed again.
>>
I'm running Tomb Of Horrors tonight in 5e, what advice you do guys have for doing a good job translating the module into 5e?
>>
>>52018215
>But, I find non-physical damage to be much, much more common than charm/fear things, from experience

I personally don't find the creatures I listed to be particularly rare.

To be fair, poison is pretty common, and probably the biggest source of concentrated damage (the sort of thing likely to actually matter to a barbarian, despite con prof), but poison resistance is pretty easy, if we're counting ally abilities.

After that is probably necrotic, and after that is fire.

I would still expect, 99% of the time, what is going to take out a barbarian is a single attack vs his wis save, especially because no matter how optimized you are, there isn't much hope for taking out a vampire or aboleth before his first turn.
>>
>>52018139
Land druid is much more like Final Fantasy's geomancer. It also still has the plants & animals stuff that comes with being a druid, and isn't nearly healy enough to be White Mage.
>>
>>52018009
I feel it
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 500x556px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 500x556px
>>52016658
FUCKING DREAMS DRUID.
WHY IS EVERYONE SO STUPID
>>
>>52018426
Are you really asking why people would want to play a bad ass barbarian and not a holy dude? Don't give me "fluff your devoted champion as a crazy savage who hits things," that's a bit of a bridge too far.

Just because a support character is the better choice doesn't mean anyone wants to play it. Witness 4e, in which probably the best party is a bunch of leaders buffing one striker and giving him an insane blender of attacks, but few want to play that party.
>>
What are the main difference between the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk ?
>>
>>52018009
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
>>
>>52018585
One is called the Forgotten Realms. The other is called Greyhawk.
>>
>>52018585
Greyhawk isn't tainted by eight zillion books detailing every stone and twig of the setting.
>>
>>52018168
If you stapled Keen Mind and Linguist together, would it make the feat worth taking?
>>
>>52018557
The deal is I'm saying that if berzerker's level 3 is shit but its level 6 is its selling point, it's basically a worse devotion paladin. Each class isn't just 'Oh, it's a oath guy' or 'Oh, it's an angry guy'. Each class is 'Oh, it's an angry guy, and the angry guy is good at not taking damage or making themselves an easier target in exchange for more damage' and 'Oh, it's an oath guy who's good at supporting'

But the deal is that the berzerker honestly isn't much better than a devotion paladin in terms of damage in general. They can reckless attack all the time and maybe pull a bit further ahead, but then that means they're also losing out on tankiness, most likely. The bear barbarian succeeds at being just generally tough, and that's the only niche it really needs. The wolf barbarian succeeds at its own flavour of support. The berzerker shouldn't just be a half-assed version of someone else's support, but it should really be feeling that extra damage, or whatever it's supposed to do. And it's not.
>>
>>52018168
>>52018618
Keen Mind is a good wizard feat. You don't really need a spellbook with the perfect memory it grants.
>>
>>52018643
Hmm. On second thought, I wouldn't put barbarian as being so bad on damage.

At level 11, paladin catches up quite a bit with IDS and has a lot of spell slots. However, at level 5 I'd expect a more notable damage gap, especially once you factor barbarian giving up survivability for reckless attack.

However, my point really was just 'It doesn't do much more damage over normal barbarian', I suppose.
>>
>>52015343
>>52015436
>>52015462
Hey anons, I'm trying to think nice things for a new subrace-kind of thing for Orcs.

It's about being Chosen by Gruumsh, which happens to most important orcs, so it's like a subrace you gain at 5th level.

So, after reading the fluff for that, one of the things that can happen is that an orc can gain powers of divination, and I think Portent from Divination Wizards is PERFECT for it. But it also often drives them at least partially insane, so I'm thinking of a good way to handle ability score improvements for that.

Even though Wisdom is usually the one regarded with sanity, I feel like this Oracle-stuff would be pretty much a nail in the head with Orc Druids or something. So I'm thinking of -2 Int drop (I changed the core drop to -1), for the exchange of +2 in Wisdom and Portent.

What do you think of this idea?
>>
What's the best way to build and play a druid? Is circle of moon worth it or is full caster focus the best? Can you nuke things with druid casting?
>>
>>52018643

All this shit about them being not so great applies same to totem guys, so I don't see the point at all. "Tanking" isn't often a thing in a melee party, it just means some monsters incidentally attack you.

The guy it deserves to be compared to is clearly the bear totem. Enemies rarely have any particular reason to focus attacks on the barbarian, and he is already good at dealing with it. Instead, a barbarian's main concern is being taken out without recourse to hit point damage, and that's been the case since 3e. While enemies rarely have any reason to focus fire on the barbarian, they do gain a cheap, reliable, and instantaneous benefit by flipping the barbarian into an enemy or hitting him with a fear effect.

This sort of white room conversation strikes me as honestly quite bizarre, as however you slice it, what's going to take out a barbarian 99% of the time is something like charm or fear, and saying "don't want to be taken out without recourse to hit point damage? just play a paladin ... and wait four fuckin levels!" is nearly as inane as saying "want to tank, deal damage and not be taken out with or without hit point damage? just play a skelemancer!"

And I'm also going to note charm/fear is way more powerful for monsters than PC. The typical charm effect PCs can use is either "if the target fails a wis save, they just kill the rest of your party instead" or "if the target fails a wis save and doesn't have legendary resistance, you can control the monster for your concentration slot instead of locking down the encounter." Fear effects for PCs are relatively good, but there are are a number of foes that turn fear into something worse, like for example the humble sea hag, that turns fear into a death sentence, or of course mummies, who make it into paralysis. Pretty early threats too.
>>
>>52018759
>However, my point really was just 'It doesn't do much more damage over normal barbarian', I suppose.

Bearbarian = barbarian good vs hit point damage.
Berserker = barbarian good vs shit that eliminates barbarians.
>>
>>52018798

>So I'm thinking of -2 Int drop (I changed the core drop to -1), for the exchange of +2 in Wisdom and Portent.

Am I being trolled? Move over variant human and winged tiefling.
>>
>>52018798
Like, I'm almost offended that they didn't use ANY of the stuff they write in the Volo's Guide to monsters when they designed the monstrous races, it seems. Fucking ridiculous.

Hell, The Eye of Gruumsh are a thing, have been a thing for years, but no way to play one? Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>52018814
You can concentrate on spells you have up while in wildform but you can't cast them in wildform.
>>
>>52018814
>Can you nuke things with druid casting?

You can barely nuke things with an evoker, and most DMs prefer fewer, bigger, tougher monsters than Attack of the Things.

A level 9 meteor swarm takes out about CR 6 foes, and a level 3 fireball takes out about CR 1/2 foes.

So you're probably gonna want either lockdown or moon druid for off tanking.
>>
>>52018863
It is a 5th level feature, and it requires you to give your sanity away, and it is explicitly stated in the lore that this is a thing that happens with Orcs.

I can nerf it, of course, but this is just an idea. I'm building this purely from the Volo fluff, the things they didn't even consider.
>>
>>52018868
>they didn't use ANY of the stuff they write in the Volo's Guide to monsters when they designed the monstrous races, it seems. Fucking ridiculous.

They are mostly bog standard orc clerics, dude. Very minor tweaks, but the orc casters are closer to clerics than, say, blackguards are to oathbreakers.
>>
>>52018929
Well not fluff-wise. Fluff-wise they gotta pluck their eyes out, and basically a Fighter or Barbarian becomes something of a cleric-gestalt at that point.
>>
>>52019020
All the orc casters have initiations and indeed normal PC clerics were also something else before they were given powers.
>>
So would there be anything wrong with using halfling for an Arya Stark/Goonie type character that is more of a pint sized version of a medium size race?
>>
>>52018059
>of those about 1 in 3 are devotion paladins

In my experience it's more like 3 out of 4. No one plays crown paladin, and if they want an ancients paladin they play a ranger. So it leaves out those who want to play ghost rider, which half the time will either go homebrew, or multiclass into bladelock

So 3 out of 4 in 3 out of four mean you only really get a one out of eight chance of not having *someone* playing a Devo paladin

However, that probability has to overlap with the fact that you also have to play next to bards and clerics, (and druids) good fucking luck getting a Charm to stick then
>>
>>52019113

Well yeah, emphasis on "in your experience."
>>
>>52019113
I have played crown and play with others who have also played crown. Crown is probably my favorite paladin archetype, aside from the two oathbreakers.
>>
>>52019100

I do that exact same thing for a Kobold Draconic Sorcerer

>he wants his own hoard when he grows up

It's frankly adorable because he's still at level 1 getting his ass kicked by hummies.
>>
>>52019140

We live in a post- Curse of Strahd world man...
>>
>>52016301
>being evil means wanting to bring on the end of the world
You are a special kind of stupid, are there you.
>>
>>52013451
Seeker and Rune Priest were part of the aborted Ki power source group.

Rune Priest's fluff is pretty generic, but it uses the rune idea as a stand in for magical stances. I know the class released with protection and destruction runes, which determine rider effects on their powers depending on your current state. There really isn't much to do, or that needs to be done, with this class.

The seeker bound or directed primal spirits along with their ranged attacks, giving their attacks limited homing or retargeting flavor, and applying a lot of soft "victim's choice" control effects as restrictions with punishments instead of status effects. If you move, you'll fall prone at the end of your turn. If you don't move, you'll take damage. If you attack, you get pushed or pulled around. That kind of thing. Each one was a different power. It was weak on release, barely supported since it came out just before Essentials, its flavor is magical ranger, and the restriction mechanics sucked. I actually saw some of them in the UA arcane archer. The only thing that wasn't awful was the ability to re-roll a missed ranged attack but targeting another enemy in range. Nowadays, spells like Ensnaring Strike just stick around if you miss, so there's no need.
>>
Arcana clerics seem so good.
>>
>>52014833
Wait, I don't think that evil = dick. I just think that NE is the easiest way to RP an evil character without falling into the dick trap.

Lawful Evil characters are going to be kept from doing something by their moral code eventually, and Chaotic Evil isn't going to be good at hiding it. Neutral Evil seems to be the best to me, because you can be evil without being overt about it, or being held down by a "I can do this, but not this."
>>
>>52019234

It's .. Okay. Taking Wizard cantrips and treating them as cleric is great to add on that Wis damage of your level 8 feature, but the Channel Divinity is cancer.

Aditionally, you may want to use those cantrips to grab BB or GFB, but you only get Medium armor proficency, so there goes that idea.

The Domain spells are pretty good, to use a couple of times, but shit, no wizard prepares Leomund's Secret Chest every single day

And the final feature gives ya Wish, fine, but having to wait until level 17 to unlock a 6th level spell is a little bit retarded
>>
File: 1375481425754.jpg (10KB, 152x150px) Image search: [Google]
1375481425754.jpg
10KB, 152x150px
>>52012626
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12458334
>vote for warlord and shaman
>low and behold they're top 2

i'm not even slightly surprised, they were among the best classes of 4e, even flavor wise. also voted warden and have been on and off homebrewing one
>>
>>52019296
>Leomund's Secret Chest
>Planar Binding
>Nystul's Magic Aura
>Magic Circle

These domain spells might as well be replaced by the occasional use of a magic item or a scroll

I'd use divine intervention to let me swap'em out with something marginally more useful
>>
>>52019296
I dunno a variant human Arcana cleric can be a pretty good melee character.

Magic initiate druid for Shillelagh, get Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade, add WIS modifier to those two.

Only need a stats like 8, 14, 14, 10, 16, 12 and at level one you can have an AC of 18 and every ASI goes into Wisdom and Polearm Master. It's not bad at all.
>>
>>52017480

>Arcana: you get a 6th/7th level spell and two more you can't use, all of which you can already get as a wizard
>Knowledge: Vision of the Past, fluff trash
>Light: Corona of Light, mostly useful but makes you an even bigger target

Oh yeah, super OP senpai
>>
File: 1462202821128.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1462202821128.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
>>52017897
>minus to an ability score
>ever ever ever since 4th edition
hell no, just fucking hell no, you'll never convince me
>>
>>52019405
You know you can take any domain right? Those are just suggestions.

Why don't you try a Tempest Theurge, I'm pretty sure their channel divinity's one of the most bullshit things a Theurge can do.
>>
>>52019358

I just took War Caster, and instead of Shillelagh, I drop Inflict Wounds
>>
>>52019414
Removing it would be next to nothing in difficulty.

It was in Volo, after all, and in that, they got -2 STR.
>>
>>52019444
With Shillelagh you can drop the exact same amount of inflict wounds, and then do 2d8+10 to on guy and then do 1d8+10 to another guy with greenflame blade. At will at level 8. Or do 2d8+10 to a guy, then if he moves another 2d8+10. All this damage increases by 1d8 at level 11 as well.

I'm not saying you need it, or it's overpowered or anything. I'm saying an Arcana Cleric can be a good melee cleric.
>>
>>52015240
Port the fey corgi.
>>
>>52019523
>With Shillelagh you can drop the exact same amount of inflict wounds

>Shillelagh 1d8+5
>Inflict Wounds 3d10 and scales

Run me through this again?
>>
>>52013766
>>Warden
>So he heals and tanks? What offensive shit does he have?
The warden doesn't heal. He's a tank who turns the terrain around him into an inescapable morass and uses grasping vines to pull back enemies that try to get away. The barbarian UA had other takes on this class.
>>
>>52019568
No I said you can drop all those inflict wound as well. Eventually you're gonna run out though.

You use Shillelagh with Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade at low levels when you run out of slots easy and at higher levels the easily out do a level 1 or 2 inflict wounds.
>>
Ontop of that, I want Magic Initiate (Wizard) for max single class Wizard/Cleric blend, so getting Shillelagh at level 16 seems to at a point where it might not be entirely useful. At this point I'm pretty sure I can have found a +2 dagger to make up the difference
>>
>>52019600

Ah, Yeah I get your point then.

And I suppose that Absorb Elements oneshot doesn't hurt either when it comes to melee
>>
>>52017457
As I read it you still use WIS for your cleric spells and INT for your wizard spells so it's a little MAD.
Still good though.
>>
>>52019193
No, but the *power* to end the world is good for something.
>>
>>52019640
Yeah. It's mostly just something to fall back on when you're needed in melee.

Though at level 20 it does 8d8+20 damage divided between two enemies at will. To match that average damage inflict wounds has to be cast with a slot level of 7.
>>
>>52016301
>>52019193

Evil characters are able to have friends and love.

Evil doesn´t mean to automatically be a dangerous psycho, but dangerous psychopaths are evil though.
>>
>>52019688

Yeah, but I'm still more comfortable doing it with War Caster, because the way we read it, it lets me provide Cure Wounds of Opportunity
>>
>>52019296
Since when Medium armor is consider to bad to go into melee? 1 less for for no disadvantage in stealth is a pretty even trade
>>
>>52019250
>Chaotic Evil isn't going to be good at hiding it.
You don't get it.

Lawful evil can be a douche bag manipulating the actual laws to help his fiends. It can be an evil sadistic assholes, who loves killing, but only when it is technically expected (aka. Adventure where you meet people others have asked you to kill.)

Chaotic evil can be the psychopath who wants to be able to kill anybody. Not because he has any reason to, but he wants to be strong enough to do it, and have magical artifacts to assist him. He travels around with the party to get strong enough, and get powerful equipment. He doesn't give 2 shits about helping that order of super good clerics and priests, but he knows that destroying that powerful lich will net him some valuable experience, knowledge and likely gear.

Or it could be an assassin, who takes on the credit for all the kills the party has. The rest of the good party doesn't like killing, so they let the assassin take the blame, guilt (which he doesn't feel) and recognition. He helps them keep their conscience slightly more clean, and they help him get a very terrifying reputation.

Even in a party where someone can literally detect good and evil, the evil character doesn't have to be the odd one out. There can be a lot of valid reasons to have the person around. I once had a character who started out as a Chaotic evil, and ended up as neutral good, going through a long change of character. He started out being a prisoner by the paladin, who sought to help him repent, and make him change his way. It took a good 60 sessions, but he gotold there eventually.
>>
>>52019715
Uh it calls out that it has to be a hostile creature provoking an opportunity attack from you. Also the wording on opportunity attacks calls out they have to be hostile.
>>
File: 1379001129437.jpg (44KB, 800x436px) Image search: [Google]
1379001129437.jpg
44KB, 800x436px
>>52019486
yeah, and that was more just a direct actual translation of their stats from the MM.

I been throwing around a kobold homebrew of my own since I been making a homebrew world recently where they are a playable race... here is what I got so far

WIP
Kobold
+2 Dex, +1 Cha or +1 Int
Size: Small
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Dark (Mine won't have darkvision, but this is homebrew setting reasons)
Draconic Resilience: OK, I been throwing this one around in my head, either...
A) When making a saving throw, you may add your proficiency bonus to the roll, even with saves you are already proficient in, after the roll was made, but before knowing the result of success or fail. You may use this once after every short or long rest.
or
B) You can roll a saving throw at advantage. You may use this once after every short or long rest

Add onto this, I honestly hate they get sunlight sensitivity, if they get it they need something strong to make for it cause that is a giant hinderance in some situations.

In my own homebrew, kobolds lost their darkvision through a calamity, so with that I took away the sunlight sensitivity. Also, because one of the complaints I heard most often from /tg/ about this edition is that dark vision is far too rampant. Make the dark scary again.
>>
>>52019688
>8d8+20

I wonder, considering Arcana cleric lets you add WIS damage, is it better to take BB or GFB with your class feature?

I guess I should only get one because I just so very much enjoy Minor Illusioin
>>
>>52019296
exhibit A: spellbreaker, heal while you remove negative spells

>the Channel Divinity is cancer

An encounter based power that takes an enemy out of the fight for a minute is not bad by any means, its basically Maze on short rest recharge.

it causes one enemy to remove themselves for approximately 20 rounds
>>
>>52019596
the barbarian UA took some flavor of the warden class, somewhat, and the ranger guardian archetype from it's UA took a bite out of the warden too. Meanwhile I think the warden can be it's own class with it's primary feature being it's guardian forms with different kinds, which gives it spell-like abilities
>>
>>52019759
I'd go with BFB personally. It's not like you want to lock an enemy near your little 1d8 Hitpoints and if you're fighting one big enemy you've most likely got better spells to cast.
>>
>>52019715
> When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting
time of 1 action and must target only thal creature.

Your friend is "hostile creture" now? Enjoy getting kill by your own party member then.
>>
>>52019754

Well, it seems to be the implication, but not the reasoning.

I mean, what is even "hostile" but something that is going on in your mind. You can "betray someone" and hit them with an attack of opportunity at any point, so why not a cure wounds?

At the very least, you're allowed to make a melee attack roll with advantage
>>
>>52019795
>BFB

Is that "Brown Flamed Blade" or "Booming Fucking Blade"?
>>
>>52019250
None of the evils should really run into much trouble cooperating if played carefully.

Paizo's set of evil iconics are all more or less designed that they might feasibly fit into an otherwise good campaign. Their CE Anti-Paladin in particular is one of the least disruptive of the set, being themed around elaborate destruction instead of random violence.
>>
>>52019803
I'm positive this discussion's come up before and to be quite frank. It's retarded.

In my mind every combat's divided into sides of creatures, if someone's on your side. Then they're not hostile. In theory you could but it's very stupid, minmaxed and a DM with any balls will tell you to fuck off. It's clearly not RAI and you have to stretch RAW to the limit to make it possible.

>>52019833
Fuck this new keyboard. Meant GFB.
>>
>>52014822
I like all these mutually exclusive spell selections, wastes of action in combat, and limited daily uses abilities that require concentration that are supposed to replace every one of every other rogue archetype's abilities. Familiars are great though.

So take RItual Caster (Wizard) on your rogue and get a damn familiar that you can replace without spending spell slots, or Magic Initiate Wizard and get Blade spells and Find Familiar once a day without needing Int or Wis 13.

>Action: Cast Mage Hand.
>Interaction: Pull out a Healer's Kit.
>Free:Drop healer's kit next to dying ally.
>Move: 30 feet away from dying ally.
>Bonus Action: Use healer's kit on dying ally.
>Exclaim that you can use a healer's kit as a bonus action from 30' away.

>Enhance Ability and Spider Climb are both level 2 spells outside of illusion/enchantment.
>Enhance Ability isn't even a wizard spell.

Haste is great though. Probably better off comboing it with sniping though so you're less likely to lose concentration.
>>
>>52019803
Learn to separate game mechanic from fluff. The reason why force movement doesn't provoke OA is all about game balance.
>>
>>52019855

It's not like there's no precedence with for example Glyph of Warding. It says "harmful spells" but it really means "any spell you want"
>>
>>52019950
No. It means harmful spells. What a harmful spell is up to the DM's discretion and the definition of harmful is:

"causing or likely to cause harm."

A bless for example isn't causing or likely to cause harm, therefor it's not a harmful spell.
>>
>>52019989

No man, it literally means "any spell you want"

I'm pretty sure it's even errata confirmed
>>
File: the_inspector.png (865KB, 1886x798px) Image search: [Google]
the_inspector.png
865KB, 1886x798px
What would this guy's name be, /5eg/?

He's going to be a lawful neutral inspector who has journeyed across an entire continent in pursuit of a wanted man. High fantasy setting, tech era ~1700s (though yes, he admittedly looks a great deal more modern)
>>
>>52015368
>>52015586
>The magic words can be whispered or muttered
>Klaatu, barada, ni-cough cough-.
>Okay. I said the words. We're good, right?
It depends on the setting. In a bar? Nah. In a dungeon? Probably. Also, you can't fucking whispers verbal components. You have to "Chant mystic words" with a "particular combination of sounds, with
specific pitch and resonance," to set the threads of magic in motion. You don't have to go all Yu-Gi-Oh for it, but you do have to say it.
>>
File: Orc 2.0 Beta.jpg (145KB, 764x954px) Image search: [Google]
Orc 2.0 Beta.jpg
145KB, 764x954px
>>52015343
Orc beta. Might need to nerf some things, because hot damn that's strong as it stands.

But, being chosen by their MAIN GOD is literally a thing that happens with Orcs, so I fucking guess.
>>
>>52020012
I can't be bothered to check and it's never come up in our games, so I won't argue something I can't confirm I'm right about.
>>
>>52019803
What's funny to me about this is that "hostile" isn't synonymous with "attacking." Hostile is an actual attitude -- friendly, indifferent, or hostile. Many PCs are going to be, at best, indifferent to party members, or outright hostile (an example is a condescending noble who views the PC as a rival and wants him to fail).

You can indisputably be hostile to someone yet on the same side -- many Planar Binding pokemon a caster may assemble will be hostile to him, but they have to follow his command nonetheless. Likewise, the DMG emphasizes heavily that hostility doesn't mean the creature will attack.

None of this should be taken to mean I support RAW abuse of hostility mechanics -- I assume that a Planar Binding that hates his wizard master's and wants you dead, and a lawful good dwarf paladin/chaotic evil drow assassin duo with intense mutual hatred should be counted as mechanically "friendly," that various magical minions of the enemy that have zero opinion on the PCs at best (indifferent) or at worst sincerely want the PCs to kill their master so they can be free and view the PCs as the good guys (friendly) would still count as "hostile."

But nothing in RAW forbids it, to be sure, and I don't think healers doing out of turn healing with warcaster is going to harm the game. To the contrary, it would probably help it.
>>
Speed factor optional rule, yea or nay?
>>
>>52020013
I look at this man and I see a Johnson Pen-something.
>>
>>52015688
>But if you're just fucking around in a city, or sneaking through a building, with no one alert? Then no.
I treat it as Baldur's Gate incantations. You bet people are fucking hearing you saying weird shit.

You might get a pass in a crowded market because of all the criers.
>>
>>52020043
If your party's good with numbers and quick in combat, a huge yea.
>>
>>52020063
>>52020063
>>52020063
new thread
>>52020063
>>52020063
>>52020063
>>
>>52020034

Sure, I got you senpai

>Glyph of Warding (p. 245). The first
sentence clarifies that the magical effect
needn’t be harmful. The final two sentences
of the first paragraph now read as
follows: “The glyph can cover an area no
larger than 10 feet in diameter. If the surface
or object is moved more than 10 feet
from where you cast this spell, the glyph is
broken, and the spell ends without being
triggered” (6th printing)

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata.pdf
>>
>>52019989
>>52020012
Chris Perkins, the guy who is ok with chain simulacra, okayed it.

I interpret the harmful spell thing as a reference to how in 1e, Glyph of Warding let you create various negative effects, and they eventually just decided to let you link a spell to duplicate a variety of harmful effects.

I don't have a problem with people seeding a stronghold with healing floor tiles here and there, but what PCs are obviously gonna do is create fields of high level buffs somewhere secure, then re-prepare spells, so they can get the benefit of far more spell buffs.
>>
>>52020095

Yeah, and then they're going to get fucked by a Bard with a single dispel magic
>>
>>52020095
Honestly I don't have a problem with it. Need 200gp diamond powder so I think that's a fair trade.
>>
>>52012626
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12458334
Many of those would be fine as subclass thingers (whatever they're called in 5e), some should well be ignored (Healer) or already exist pretty well (Avenger, Crusader).

I agree with Warlord and Shaman being the two best on that list, though Warlord could do well as a Fighter subclass and Shaman *maybe* a Cleric or Druid, but I'd say Shaman may be highest on the list there of needing it's own whole class.
>>
>>52016851
>the body would decompose
Gentle Repose is a ritual for a reason.
>>
>>52020125
>Yeah, and then they're going to get fucked by a Bard with a single dispel magic

That would fuck players who don't abuse glyph-buffs either.
>>
>>52017577
The normal mage hand's "spectral" description doesn't sound like it would obscure a coin held in the hand, so making an invisible hand do so is a stretch. It just isn't broken.
>>
>>52017577

It already is.

You can "Make the hand invisible"

Invisibility covers the target and everything it is carrying.
>>
>>52019865
That's odd. I'm probably confused because I might have had it back when I had a sorcerer, and sorcerers get it, but it doesn't seem wizards do. Then bards, clerics and druids do. If it were, there'd be a case to make about cat's grace also invalidating advantage on stealth from thief, but... Alas, it's not so much a thing. Still, there are many things you can do with magic that others aren't going to get.

With haste and the mobile feat, you can easily move 80ft without even dashing, or 160ft or so with dashing, and avoid provoking attacks (Or don't even get mobile, just have 60ft speed and use your bonus action to disengage). So you can still sensibly run into melee, stab them, but the problem is attacking afterwards with the reaction attack since you can't both move and attack with your reaction. I guess you could store reaction 'throw a dagger'? Though the range is only 20ft..

In any case there's not much reason to be in melee there as haste's extra attack doesn't give GFB/BB and you can't use your reaction to cast GFB/BB since A) that would require concentration I believe and B) you'd have to stay in melee range.

AT's not bad for crossbow rogues either, just doesn't have the GFB/BB advantage.
>>
>>52018215
>Wolf barbarian's advantage is great if you have a lot of synergy.
Unfortunately it doesn't have synergy with being a PAM since you have to be within 5' of the enemy for the team to get advantage. You can't use it if you stay back and let the enemy come at you to provoke OAs. I think Sentinel would be really good.
>>
>>52018426
>>52018380
The paladin's auras only work on friendly creatures.
>>
>>52020421

I suppose one could argue that once charmed, one is no longer a Friendly creature
>>
>>52018478
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
>>
>>52020799
>Release Date: 04 April, 2017

What did you hope to achieve there?
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.