[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 405
Thread images: 34

File: Dark Sun.jpg (288KB, 640x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Sun.jpg
288KB, 640x1440px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>52012466

What's your favorite D&D setting? Which are you hoping they bring back first? pic related
>>
File: the_inspector.png (865KB, 1886x798px) Image search: [Google]
the_inspector.png
865KB, 1886x798px
Reposting in new thread:

What would this guy's name be, /5eg/?

He's going to be a lawful neutral inspector who has journeyed across an entire continent in pursuit of a wanted man. High fantasy setting, tech era ~1700s (though yes, he admittedly looks a great deal more modern)
>>
Speed factor optional rule, yea or nay?
>>
>>52020150
Makes initiative tracking a bitch with having to roll each round. Probably not worthwhile.
>>
>>52020150
If you want to do things that way and have the means to do it, go for it.

Kinda hefty on the DM-side though, so proceed with caution. Try out one combat with it, and if you / the DM can handle it okay, you can continue it, but if it's difficult, you're better off using the normal ruleset.
>>
>>52020063

First for dragon hunting kobold party
>>
>>52020126
Something starting with J, definitely; probably a full name rather than a shortened nickname.

Johnathan Blackthorn? Something along those lines.
>>
How much will I regret joining a random Roll20 5E group?

I've been having the worst itch to play.
>>
>>52020353
>playing online
Instant regret, amigo.
>>
File: Orc 2.0 Beta.jpg (145KB, 764x954px) Image search: [Google]
Orc 2.0 Beta.jpg
145KB, 764x954px
>>52015343
Reposting the beta orc 2.0 here too, so that anon might see it.

Needs some nerfing, for example War Chief could be reduced to only +1 instead of +2. Getting Str to 20 at level 5 with little effort is a little too much. At least they would need to sacrifice their entire 4th level ASI to get it.
>>
>>52020353
A year from now, you may have a new friend gained from playing a random roll20 group. Maybe it'll be fun.

And hey, if it's shit then leave, and you'll be no worse off for it.
>>
>>52020365
Only option I got right now unfortunately
>>
>>52020150
If you use some online platform like roll20 to calculate initiative, it should work.
>>
File: manticore.jpg (137KB, 1000x765px) Image search: [Google]
manticore.jpg
137KB, 1000x765px
Why is the Manticore considered the most powerful CR 3 monster?
>>
>>52020475
Still slow unless you get API access for the group-initiative script.
>>
>>52020353
It takes patience and luck, anon. You might have to apply to a few dozen games before finding a good group. But it's not impossible, I've been running an online roll20 game for over a year now and it's going great.
>>
>>52020063
>favourite setting
Dark Sun/Planescape

The Local Cannibal Halflings
The Sea of Silt
Hurrums

Vs

Conversations with Dabus
Welcome to Carceri
The Plane of Salt

So conflicted
>>
The artificer class any good?
>>
>>52020552
Decent enough but on the weak side overall. Not much in the way of multiclass cheese outside of some good utility through items and stuff like Thunderstone, either, which is nice.
>>
>>52020552
It's like a more support-oriented variation on a rogue, desu.
>>
>>52020552
Currently playing an artificer here, just around the bend of fourth level.
Alchemist feels a little weak compared to the rest of the party and doesn't really shine out in the group.
>>
>>52020564

Thundercannon Kensei seems incredibly atractive for the Gun-Kata

>martial wea-

fire arms are ranged martial weapons, check the DMG
>>
I have an idea for an encounter. The party is traveling down the road when they meet a knight standing in front of a bridge. He tells them that they can pass if one of them beats him in single combat. The twist is that if they decide to gang up on the knight, he goes up a size for every attacker, stopping at Huge. His AC, HP, STR, CON, and Melee Weapon Attack double every time he grows a size. My question to you guys is:

1. Is this just a bad idea conceptually?

2. Is this bad implementation of a decent concept? For instance, instead of tripling the knight's stats, I could just give him slightly modified Fire Giant stats.
>>
>>52020595
Thundercannon isn't a martial weapon, it's uncategorized.
>>
>>52020492
Because birdpeople invented it and they're OP.
>>
>>52020598
I would try to make it so the encounter would be considered medium 1v1 but deadly en masse, and perhaps give him legendary stuff. So that its still beatable either way, but if a PC takes a chance and does the chivalrous thing its pretty easy, whereas the challenge is more moderate if they have action economy behind them.
>>
>>52020598
1. It's an awesome idea and going in my random encounter notepad.

2. I would just make him tougher for each charatcer, doubling it until he's huge and a monster at combat will have a good chance of killing everyone. Mostly because most PCs are retarded and will bumrush him.
>>
>>52020578
>not breaking concentration economy, healing everyone, bouncing enemies into fucking pits, and dissolving your way through every situation
>>
>>52020537
And these were all strangers before you met them?
>>
>>52020614

>UA: Artificer
>A master of engineering, you forge a firearm

>DMG
>Firearms, Ranged Martial Weapon

Sorry m8
>>
>>52020595
Thundercannon needs a bonus action to reload, so only one shot per turn, and monk's are already pretty bonus-action dependent.
>>
>>52020664

Pair it off with Crossbow expert
>>
>>52020647
I'm not at fourth yet anon.
And I picked Tanglefoot Bag rather than Thunderstone due to how Melee heavy my party is.
>>
>>52020598
It's a good idea, but don't literally double it, just draw up three appropriately challenging stat blocks.
>>
>>52020692
The thundercannon isn't a crossbow. Also, crossbow expect negates the loading property, not anything to do with bonus actions.
>>
>>52020692
It doesn't have the loading trait. It has its own special 'use bonus action to reload' feature unique to it. Crossbow Expert wouldn't do anything for the Thundercannon except for removing disadvantage in melee range.
>>
>>52020720
>>52020709

Valid points
>>
>>52020492
21 DPR from 100' up in the air and 68 hp. For reference, a guy with unlimited fireballs has 24 DPR. Sure its single target, but in a given party one of the ranged guys might be a warlock and another a hand crossbow guy, and a wizard may not have enough spells to kill it, etc. It can focus fire on whoever's able to hit it too.

Good if you can pair it with some absurdly weak ground monsters so the people on the ground think they're making progress while it snipes them. Maybe it dumps out a burlap sack full of crawling claws, or waits for them to hit a patch of violet fungus, etc.
>>
File: Binder.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Binder.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Can you run an all-Binder group without any real trouble using this homebrew? It's pretty much a port of the 3.5 class.
>>
File: 000.jpg (34KB, 493x585px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
34KB, 493x585px
>>52020803
>One class
>55 pages
>>
File: Size Chart.jpg (730KB, 1502x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Size Chart.jpg
730KB, 1502x1039px
>>52020635
>>52020640
>>52020706
Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys! I'll get to work on a couple of Stat Blocks for our knight.
>>
>>52020825
The way Binder works, you need it.

Only around 14 pages or so deal with the rules themselves, but since they revolve around summoning Vestiges, the other 40 pages are a list of the Vestiges you can summon.
>>
>>52020598
Doubling his AC and physical stats is definitely way too much, especially with how bounded accuracy works, you wouldn't be able to hit him outside of crits if he goes up to huge. The increasing size thing is a nice visual queue to show the party they fucked up though, keep that or include something similar for sure. I'd instead suggest a few less noticeable changes to his stats.
>+1 weapon attack for each extra challenger
>Give him Legendary actions starting at 3 players and increasing by 1 for each additional player.
>Have his proficiency bonus increase by 1 for each extra opponent.
>Increase HP by a moderate amount for each extra opponent.
>>
Interesting Premise for a campaign?
>>
>>52020598

Hi, have you met Polymorph?
>>
>>52020126
Abraham McConahugh the 14th, at your service
>>
>>52020969
Sandboxy minimalism in terms of adventure sites.
>>
>>52020882
>Only around 14 pages or so deal with the rules themselves
>Only around 14 pages or so
>Only around 14 pages
>Only
>>
>>52020969
Zebechial, Archfey and Lord of Lightning, blows into the material plane on a thunderstorm during a feywild worldfall. The party are a ragtag bunch of stormchasers and thrillseekers. Are they bad enough dudes to trek across the countryside and come face-to-face with the Fey?
>>
File: Constanza.jpg (220KB, 679x690px) Image search: [Google]
Constanza.jpg
220KB, 679x690px
>>52020126
>hero forge
>>
>>52020969
Read a Paizo Adventure Guide.
>>
>>52020598
Okay so here's my idea. Make a big tough knight man. Then for every additional member that attacks him, another one of him joins the initiative order. His AC and attack bonus increases by 2 for each attacker. An example encounter would look like this:

Bob, the Human Fighter and the Bridge Knight are in combat. The Bridge Knight has 70 hitpoints.

Bob attacks the Bridge Knight, dealing a critical blow! The Bridge Knight takes 30 damage, bringing his hitpoints to 40.

Just then, Simnarillon Nelriven, Drow Wizard, decides that he should end this fight here and now.
He rolls initiative, but to his surprise, so does the Bridge Knight! While the Bridge Knight has not become multiple monsters, he now has two pools of health, two spots in the initiative, and a higher AC and attack bonus to boot! The Bridge Knight now goes twice in the initiative order, and any damage dealt to him is dealt to the HP pool with the least amount of hitpoints remaining. So if he got two attacks per round, then they had better prepare for trouble, because he's making it double.

Go to kobold fight club and find a monster that, in equal numbers to your party, would be the difficulty you're looking for the encounter to be. Then either use a monster of that CR or make one yourself.
>>
>>52021071
>multiple initiatives
>HP bars
We JRPG now.
>>
>>52020882
>one class with a longer list of rules and spells than all the other casters put together.
What about no.
>>
>>52021110
Well, obviously the players aren't able to see the HP of enemies. But the idea of multiple initiatives already exists in-game in the form of legendary actions. This is just a simplified method of legendary actions.
>>
>>52020882
>The way the binder works, you need it
Sounds like I don't need the binder, then.

Come back when you can pare the full class down to 5 pages.
>>
>>52020659
Yep, all strangers. We're from different countries, even. I had a lot of luck, since in my first application I found a great group of players. the DM only wanted to run an one-shot and left, but us players stuck together and found a new DM. Now I run another game for most of them, as well.
>>
>>52021138
I didn't say it was a bad idea.
>>
>>52021163
Oh. Thank you anon <3
>>
>>52021143
If you exclude the Vestige List and Archetypes, then it's 5 pages.
>>
I've got a similar but inversed idea of >>52021071 big guy anon.
A party member, upon failing a passive perception check in the street, kicks a pixie paladin as they walk. Highly offended, the paladin challenges them to a duel- without mentioning that, to make it fair, he'll shrink the party member to the same size. Unfortunately, he didn't realize this was the last charge of this magic and it won't recharge until the next full moon weeks away. The party's hand, in the mean time, will be forced by a local magical hallucinogen cartel that needs to be taken care of, either thanks to information given by the paladin, or chasing him down to their base where he's trying to fight them if he escapes. The tiny player will have to do what they can as-is, including some special rules for attacking normal sized humanoids, which I'm going to use to introduce them to the concept of small-on-giant combat and refine my methods for it, which will be VERY relevant to the campaign's climax.
Is this a shit idea?
No, nobody in the party has Remove Curse or similar to try and cure the condition or any contacts that might, so they're in for some encounters either way.
>>
>>52020803
Holy shit, what is this bloat? 50 pages for one class? How could WoTC possibly think this was a good idea?
>>
>>52021227
Homebrew buddy.
>>
>>52020647
>breaking concentration economy
>third caster, so scant spell slots and slow as shit progression
>spell list doesn't even have concentration spells that work with Infuse Magic until you get 2nd level spells

Artificers should really be half casters. Wouldn't even make them OP probably.
>>
>>52021250
Oh thank G-d. I briefly had a heart attack.
>>
>>52021292
>G-d
Stop posting any time.
>>
>>52012626
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12458334
Interesting poll.

Many of those would be fine as subclass thingers (whatever they're called in 5e), some should well be ignored (Healer) or already exist pretty well (Avenger, Crusader).

I agree with Warlord and Shaman being the two best on that list, though Warlord could do well as a Fighter subclass and Shaman *maybe* a Cleric or Druid, but I'd say Shaman may be highest on the list there of needing it's own whole class.
>>
Why did they make otyughs low intelligent and unable to speak? in the good old days it was like this:

>Otyughs are intelligent
>Otyughs can speak common
>they spend 24/7 eating poop

What I thought: Star Wars garbage compactor monster
What I got: A porta potty monster that yells "FEED ME SEYMOUR" up at you
>>
About to start my first megadungeon. What should I expect from my DM as a half-elf wizard?
>>
>>52021325
Eh, the avenger is no more the oath of vengeance than the warlord is the battlemaster.
>>
>>52021263

>Craft Golem
>Craft Teleportation Circles
>Animate Objects
>Legend Lore

Of course they need to be at least half casters
>>
File: Otto of the Silver Hand.gif (54KB, 698x926px) Image search: [Google]
Otto of the Silver Hand.gif
54KB, 698x926px
>>52020920
>>52021071
Bridge Knight anon here, thanks for the advice! I'm really happy my idea is so well received. You guys have given me a lot to consider. I'll post a rough draft once I figure out the best way to make this concept work.
>>
>>52021340
You should expect a large dungeon
>>
Posting this one last time.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12458334

The runaway favorites are:
>Warlord, no surprise.
>Shaman, which is a bit odd, considering how it can already be represented by clerics and druids.
The runners-up, each with at least 5%, are:
>Swordmage
>Runepriest
>Warden
>Binder
>>
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/838225721965174784

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/838227534428807168

>"original" Eberron stuff at ECCC was not "original content" but "original" as in "first"
>just design documents of Eberron from its initial submission to WotC

I am dead inside.
>>
>>52021363
>Shaman, which is a bit odd, considering how it can already be represented by clerics and druids.

Yes... to the exact same degree battlemaster = warlord, shaman = cleric or druid.

The shaman schtick:

1. They grant lots of attacks etc. Same reason people are insano for warlords.
2. They have various spirit/nature themie powers.
3. They have a virtual pet great for tanking that's immune to status effects that they use as a spell conductor, to give extra attacks, etc.
>>
>>52021363

Do clerics and druids work with spirit companions?
>>
>>52021341
Other than wearing a dress instead of armor and having a ranged spell or two, how much difference is there between them? They're both fanatics that like hitting things with big swords for lots of damage.

Battlemaster is 75% warrior and 25% leader, at best. Needs to be much closer to the other way. The "Lazy" being impossible to reproduce.
>>
>>52021331
>Why did they make otyughs low intelligent and unable to speak?
The can't speak common. They can speak otyugh. They're more intelligent than they were in 3.5, just more alien.
>>
>>52021342
Creation
Legend Lore
Greater Restoration
Passwall
Teleportation Circle

Would probably be a good 5th level spell list for artificers. Animate Objects makes some flavor sense, but doesn't fit in with how non-offensive the rest of the list is.
>>
>>52020803
This is convoluted as fuck and I hate it.
>>
Crossbow Expert/Sharpshooter hand crossbow Lore Bard or Longsword Magic Initiate WLK GFB/EB/Hex Lore Bard?
>>
Would you allow a GOOlock to trade the level 1 ability for Inquisitive Rogue's level 1 ability? It's a much better fit thematically for the character than GOO telepathy.
>>
>>52020063
My character died today and I'm scoping out new classes.

Did they ever clarify if a kensei weapon is a monk weapon or not? I can't remember
>>
>>52021564
It is not.
>>
>>52021564
They're not monk weapons, but Mearls says that the intent was that you still get the benefits of Martial Arts.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/808904018265341952
>>
>>52021491
As a bard (a lore bard at that) you'd probably be better off focusing on casting spells instead of wasting resources on pretending to be a martial.
>>
>>52021550
But anon, rogue archetypes don't have level 1 abilities.
>>
>>52021564
Well, the current best build is Ancients Paladin with an especially high focus on Charisma.

Ride a Flail Snail for maximum antimagic
>>
>>52021601
Well you know what I implied, the first tier of Inquisitive.
>>
>>52021416
>>52021447

Shaman are similar to druids but wildshape is kind of not a thing. A shaman should theoreticly be to a totem barbarian what a druid is to ranger and cleric to paladin.

Should probably have primary or maybe even secondary casting, a mostly heal/buff list, ability to summon stuff (either temp or full time) and maybe "imbue" other people with "animal spirits", similar in concept to the totem barbarian's totems.

I think the question for any of these is "what is more important?" (after iti being fun) filling an accurate representation of the "lore" or being faithful to the old version.

Didn't they tell us we'd have every old class in 5e during testing?
>>
>>52021593
So they're not but they should have been to an extent is what he's saying?
>>
>>52021635
Yes.
>>
>>52021413
Are we potentially getting a 5e Eberron CS?
>>
>>52021595
Yeah that's still the plan, either Sharpshooter hand crossbow so I can somewhat deal damage if needed or Hex magic initiate for a damaging cantrip and Hex as a support spell, with Boom Blade for close range emergencies.

Magic Initiate seems to be the better choice since it's only one feat needed.
>>
>>52021646
Cool then
>>
>>52021469

I think the issue is that the Avenger was a HIGHLY mobile class that excelled in chasing down fleeing foes and often filled the 'Rogue' role out of combat (Since dex was a secondary stat for them).

5e can't really do 'Low armour + 2 handed sword' very easily outside of barbarian.
>>
>>52021687
I feel like giving them something similar to the Barbarian feature that increases your speed while not wearing armor, or maybe the Rogue thing where you can take the Dash action as a bonus action would be useful.
>>
>>52021687
>>52021720
>Paladin oath that gives unarmored defense (Dex + Cha) and abilities to single out and lock down enemies and speed about
Would that do it?
>>
They lowered the power level of 5e too much :/.
>>
>>52021763

Well, the concern there is that it would really promote 'Go rapier + shield' rather than 'Go 2 handed sword'.

Part of why this is hard is that 5e went backwards on 4e's 'Any stat can be an attack stat' back to 'Just str or dex'.
>>
File: 1400800427706.jpg (60KB, 637x960px) Image search: [Google]
1400800427706.jpg
60KB, 637x960px
>Players make a deal with an evil Wizard to cure an incurable curse
>In exchange the Wizard demands they each deliver one rare and powerful magic artifact to him
>These can be either things they find that he takes a liking too
>Or specific items he asks them to find

It seemed like a good idea at the time. But I realized I've given myself a lot more work having to write sidequests for each item. Which will also distract from the main quest.

Not to mention objectively if they find anything good the evil Wizard will want it.
>>
>>52021651
Why though? You're just wasting a feat to do something a Bard can much better with his spells. If you want damage, use your Spell Secrets to pick up Fireball or something similar. Or you know, cast Thunderwave or Shatter like most bards do.
>>
Can someone cast magic while grappled, restrained, or suffocating, or a mixture of any? My Warlock got stuck in a Gelatinous Cube which gave him Restrained and Suffocating. The DM called that he couldn't use Misty Step, was this call correct RaW? In the end he's the DM I respect his call to hurry the game along but I want to know if I could have escaped.
>>
>>52021786
Then toss in some benefits to using strength like Barbarian has. Barbarian can be made into an insane AC and hit soak tank by building Dex (18 AC with no armor and a shield and resistance to all damage but psychic while raging, at level 3) but the rage damage bonus and reckless attacks only work with strength.
What are some Avenger abilities we could force to be strength-based?
>>
>>52021836
Restrained doesn't hamper casting in any way that I know of, but I can see the argument that suffocating means you have no air, thus you can't speak and cast spells with a Verbal component. I'd say your DM's ruling makes sense.
>>
For someone wanting to play a melee character who can protect the party from harm, is paladin or barbarian better? Half damage and sentinel seem useful, bear spirit helps but so does aura of protection
>>
Something shat out without much effort, balance ideas?

>Race- Oni
>+2 STR, +1 CHA
>Medium
>30 ft speed
Languages: Giant, Common
>Large Build
>Regeneration- heal 1 hp per turn while conscious unless damaged by Fire or Acid that round, auto-passes Death Saving Throws and revives with 1 hp after stabilizing
>Alter Self at will- however can only change shapes to a set Human, loses Large Build while disguised. (Needs clarification text for worn or carried items, probably make it work like Druids wild shape)
>>
>>52021786
Well, there's the Sun Blade that is a longsword with finesse, so it being a longsword it would inherit versatile thus being the only(?) 2 handed finesse sword in the game.
>>
>>52021772
I'd be fine if they lowered it a bit harder. Shillelagh being a magical club that uses normal club stats rather than +wis, PAM being toned down, direct attack cantrips being cut out or given less scaling (that they're at-will grinds my gears enormously).

I can live with some of the stuff people insist is OP (Simulacrum cascade, Wish and Gate as interpreted by people who are functionally illiterate, that sort of thing) because they require DM rulings.
>>
>>52021803
Because I'm one of those stingy autists who doesn't like "wasting" spell slots like that guy who beats JRPGs with 99 potions "in case I need them later".
>>
>>52021867
>infinite out of combat healing
I dunno that seems like a bit much. A class that isn't resource intensive like a champion could keep going forever.
>>
>>52021908
Yeah it might be better to cap it to half HP like Revenant and most other forms of PC regeneration.
>>
>>52021867
Infinite healing is broken. Go for something like half-orc's stamina ability, goliath's hit shrug, or maybe spend a hit die to regain a much smaller amount of HP mid-battle so they can keep at it for a while but not infinitely. It's a resource and opportunity cost of more healing later.
4e surges were not a mistake
>>
>>52021803
>not using your Bard spells almost entirely for out of combat utility
shiggy
>>
File: 1429393903687.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1429393903687.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>52021861
If you are wanting to tank more damage and use your body as a buffer to prevent the big threats from getting to your allies, Bearbarian is your best bet. If you are specifically wanting to draw enemy aggro / damage away from your allies, and especially if you are more worried of mobs of weaker enemies over several larger enemies, Oath of the Crown Paladin is the route to go.
>>
>>52021899
The genre is still high fantasy though.
5e being what it is allows Pathfinder to also persist.
>>
Does anyone have maps from Storm King's Thunder sized for use by minis? The dungeon maps are beautiful and would be perfect but i cant find full-size maps anywhere.
>>
>>52021958
They're in the Mega.
>>
>>52021952
AD&D was also mostly high fantasy and people still managed fine with the wizard having to sometimes pull out a sling. If they wanted to have powerful at-will combat abilities as a wizard, they rolled a bard or a fighter/mage and tanked their spell progression in return for it.
>>
File: WesternMapC1upF-r4.jpg (4MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapC1upF-r4.jpg
4MB, 5000x5000px
>tfw almost done
Just need to do stage lines, railroads, and name features and I'm fuckin' outta here.
Pro Tip: never name 200+ objects on a map
>>
>>52021968

They are not really 'Powerful'. They are 'Vaguely ok'.
>>
>>52021968
The point is that the classes are only a little beyond what the average irl person can do, barring extremely high end magic.
>>
>>52021605
Devotion doesn't reduce damage but in many cases giving disadvantage to aberrations, fiends, celestials, undead and fey, protecting against charm, and having freedom of movement on your class list will all be good for an antimagic theme as well.
>>
New to dnd, new to dm'ing. I've been reading the DM guide and I'm quite overwhelmed with the level of detail. I obviously know that much of the information is not necessary but I'm curious as to how much of it you veterans use, and how much is made up on the spot.
Like if your PCs come across some yellow mold would you look up the constitution save? Or what's the AC of razorvine? (I'm at the dungeon building section, hence these examples). To me a lot of it seems like overkill. I mean, it'd be pretty cool if I had all this memorized but I don't see that happening, and I don't see myself taking the time to look it up.
I know this is completely subjective and different dms have different styles, just curious as to how you guys feel about it.

so yeah tl;dr How do you treat the DMG and the content within it?
>>
>>52022026
>high level raging barbarian
>crit by a frost giant's greataxe
>loses roughly 1/10 of his health
nah
>>
>>52022048
Read it once, maybe skim other times if I feel compelled.
Find myself thinking "Hmm, what are some good environmental hazards or traps?" and I open it up and bookmark a page for a table or jot down the maybe 2 lines of info you need for a trap. Seriously, description save damage done.
It's not an exercise in memorization, it's a reference tool (and guidebook for much of it).
>>
>>52021988
I would suggest smaller land borders, consider that a lot of that desert wouldn't really have borders in the first place in a pre-modern society.

Also straight line borders are what happens when a distant authority tries to establish a frontier. They're not natural in the slightest and aren't going to occur without either a central authority in charge of the continent (like the huge republics in the americas and their colonial predecessors), or a diplomatic situation similar to the congress system.
>>
>>52021968
Old school D&D wizards are so ludicrously powerful compared to 5e types that they don't mind, at all, lacking at will spells.

1e wizard: Once per day, he can wipe out 4d6 1HD enemies, no save, speed factor 1, before needing to rest for a night.

1e fighter: Once per day, he can take one hit and not die before needing to rest for a few days.
>>
>>52021961
The maps in the Mega still seem a bit too small for the official minis.
>>
>>52022082
>Also straight line borders are what happens when a distant authority tries to establish a frontier.
That's exactly what happened. It's analogous to the Wild West.
Everything east of that eastern river with the old-timey font is "the Old World". Those are countries that unified into one nation and are now states of it, while everything to the west are just territories. The stuff to the south are Dwarven provinces; they're largely straight because Dwarves are efficient.
>>
>>52022092
>implying that fighter even got hit at level 1
Out of the gate the typical fighter had an AC of at most 2 unless it was a multi-classed elf.

Meanwhile the wizard was likely to take every hit unless he blew his one spell slot on shield or armor.
>>
>>52022105
Those are as hi-res as you're going to find, anon.
>>
>>52022048
Personally I only consult the DMG to look up magic items. While it's a nice read for gaining inspiration, as far as actual play goes it's kind of a worthless book. Sure you can roll for treasure, but you can also just use one of the random treasure generators on the internet and save some time.

I spend far more time in the monster manual than the DMG when I'm DMing. Most of the time you will just on the fly reference things from it from memory like >>52022076 said.

There really aren't enough random roll tables to justify using it during play. If you want some good random roll tables to put in your games, pick up an AD&D1e DMG.
>>
>>52022107
Oh. Then disregard. I guess it works, Rome and China also fucked with borders all the time.
>>
>>52022092
>The wizard is going to last an entire turn casting without getting geeked without a fighter in the way
>>
>>52022069
Frost giants also suffer from bounded stats.
Irl a woman, Vesana Vulovic, fell 33000 feet from a plane and survived.
>>
how does eberron fit in with the rest of hte dnd multiverse? like we know how the rest mostly fit, like go to krynn via spelljammer but what but eberron? is it like ravenloft in that the rules are diffent?
>>
>>52022167
FIVE
POINT
LANDING
Learn it and live with shattered ankles and knees
>>
>>52022177
As far as I know they've never said where Eberron is on the astral river shit that lets you go from Oerthspace to Krynnspace to Realmspace and in what wacky order, but it's probably just because no one really bothered talking about that stuff anymore when Eberron came out. You should be able to get to any setting you want.
>>
>>52022167
Fall damage maxes out at 20d6 in 5e.
You can survive that shit easy.
>>
>>52022177
I could imagine Eberron's material plane being a "bubble" in the Astral Plane, around which its 12 unique planes orbit.
>>
>>52022177
If I recall, Eberron's crystal sphere is "locked" from entry or exit because mysterious plot and some greater powers that know of and hid it because the techno-magical revelations it had would turn the multiverse and spelljamming civilizations on their heads.
>>
>>52022131

There's no way in hell you're starting with plate, dude. AC 4 to 3 is the most probable assumption. Which is decent, but each round you have about a coin flip's chance to kill one target, and you're dead in two coin flips.

Make no mistake, the party needs the first level magic user far more than vice versa.
>>
>>52022177
World-dragon bullshit makes traditional planar travel hard with Eberron. But you can potentially Jam your way in through the astral if you know the tricks to it. It's difficult to get in, but less so than Athas (aka the world of Dark Sun).
>>
>>52022196
>Variant Human, Lucky feat, high constitution
>Blew all the luck points on that single roll
>>
>>52022177
Eberron is bound in its own planar configuration, it's kinda like but different to Ravenloft and Dark Sun in the sense that even though it's a unique planar structure, you're not exactly trapped on Eberron as you are in the other settings.

SKR and others decided this was such a good idea they adopted it for FR and got rid of its place in the Great Wheel. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>52022221
You can't luck point falling damage, or any damage for that matter.
>>
>>52022159
He doesn't need to last an entire turn, he needs to last for 1 speed factor. Melee enemies, in all likelihood, cannot get to him at all during that time.
>>
>>52022216
Unless they weren't lucky enough to start with sleep and just had some shit like magic missile.
>>
>>52022180
>>52022196
She didn't seem to suffer much damage actually.

>>52022196
Also that shit is retarded. The damage you ultimately take should be proportional to the height you fell.
>>
>>52022253
Terminal velocity buddy. Eventually the damage taken by falling caps out in real life too, so to speak.
>>
>>52022216
Splint and Shield is still perfectly doable at 1 and it's AC3, assuming no dex bonus. That's a lot better than just "a coin flip" when at this point the typical monster still has a THAC0 of 18-20.
>>
>>52022249
Of course, if the DM doesn't allow him to start with something workable, then yeah, the magic user needs to limp through to level 2, at which point you can indeed pick a second spell.
>>
>>52022253
There's a point where you reach terminal velocity, and you can always slow your descent somewhat by increasing your surface area (thanks, air resistance) and steering yourself to move a bit parallel with the ground instead of straight at it. If you manage to swoop somehow, you decelerate over a distance as you roll and tumble, instead of SMACK, dead. There's always means of mitigating the force of the landing by using your bones as "crumple zones" like a car so that your useful bits don't take all the impact.

Also, landing through trees. The top branches are very weak and soft, you can slow yourself quite a bit before you hit the shit that isn't going to give, and if you're lucky, you won't hit many of those at all.
>>
I've been toying with an thought for some time. How much of a terrible idea would it be to basically run Baldur's Gate for someone as a tabletop campaign?

Basically, my wife's been interested in tabletop stuff for some time now, but she's likely never going to touch the BG series (she's pretty intimidated by them), but I'd still like to show her the series that was really, really important to me in my youth, in some form. And I though, why not?

It'd take some rejiggering and restructuring, and you'd probably have to dump a lot of fetch quests and such, but looking at the games, I don't really see why it couldn't work. The story's not great, but it's not terrible either. I honestly feel there's potential for something like this to work. Hell, the games were more or less already trying to recreate a D&D campaign. Much of what's in there is sure as hell not worse than many campaigns I've been in. Done right, many of the adentures would be very memorable and entertaining.

Has anyone actually tried something like this? Just straight up taking the whole campaign from somewhere and running it for a player/players who haven't experienced that before?

(As an aside, any idea how much rejiggering would it take to basically eyeball that stuff from AD&D 2e to 5e? Has someone looked into how differently they're balanced?)
>>
>>52022267
You would still get smashed into pieces from a great height, ie instant kill, that's how gravity works. It's not fucking capped because of terminal velocity because that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>52022133
All right. I guess I can blow those up a little bit and deal with the resolution loss.
>>
>>52022316
Buddy people have fallen out of planes and lived, no parachute. I don't know what else to tell you. Cats are pretty good at it actually.
>>
>>52022227
>>52022205

were can I find a source for this
>>
>>52022289
It was still from 33,000 feet. All of those factors would needed to have occurred simultaneously and advantageously to mitigate the most possible damage.

People have died falling from bridges, where terminal velocity should be a thing, and 1m stairs.
>>
>>52022334
Yeah, that guy's retarded. Terminal velocity and body orientation are so important to landing that cats are more likely to be injured from a two story fall than a 16 story one. The shorter fall doesn't give them enough time to twist around and land the way they want to. Even though they land at a lower speed, it fucks them up more.
>>
>>52022048
I mean personally, if I'm gonna put environmental hazards like yellow mold in the player's path, I would personally just record the information somewhere easily accessible in my notes. Or I would use the book's hazards as inspiration and make up my own, which I would record. There's no reason to let yourself get overwhelmed by all the stuff in the DMG because generally the players don't have access to it, so the only stuff in there you need is what you choose to take out of it.
>>
>>52022227
>SKR and others decided this was such a good idea they adopted it for FR and got rid of its place in the Great Wheel. Fuck that noise.
It was the only way the Great Wall being Faerun-only made sense when a lot of its gods are cross world and outside of Ao's effective control (mainly, the elf, dwarf and orc gods and to a lesser extent crossover gods like Oghma, Mielikki, and the entirety of the Untherite and Mulhorandi pantheons)
>>
>>52022346
There was a pilot who fell 15,000 feet onto water (which, I'm sure you'll point out, is basically like concrete if you smack it going fast enough). There were some other guys who fell 22,000 feet form a plane while KNOCKED OUT and lived.

Human body's a crazy thing, man. Sometimes the little thing gets you, sometimes the big thing doesn't. Fall = dead just ain't true.
>>
>>52022334
Yes, my example specifically addresses this. Taking at most 120 damage is fucking retarded.

Also cats have used balancing and air resistance to survive falling from shorter heights. There was this clip of a cat not surviving falling from a ledge at least 2 storeys tall.
>>
>>52022275
Hence AC 4 to 3.

>That's a lot better than just "a coin flip"

A first level fighter is offensively between goblin and orc, although if you factor in that he probably has AC 4 and the average first level enemy probably has about AC 7, and in terms of better HP and AC, he's basically an orc and a goblin stapled together.

Fortunately we don't have to pick just one class or the other, but hey.
>>
>>52022391
>Taking at most 120 damage is fucking retarded.
An average roll (about 70) is going to completely mangle a Wizard up to level 10-15 ish. For beefier class they'll manage to tank it at mid-level.
>>
>>52022348
>sure, I'll definitely surely able to survive because I understand physics and can definitely manipulate it to my advantage.
Try falling from that height and see where you end up, mate.

>>52022370
Is it 20d6 fall damage they took?
>>
>>52022391
I don't understand what you're getting at. Why is 120 at most retarded when there are clearly real life instances that suggest 20d6 would actually be too high of a number?
>>
>>52022348
>>52022391
Just think -- Gygax's perfectly good falling rules being edited into their current abomination has fueled decades of rage.
>>
>>52022416
>tfw my full plate, hammer, and shield dwarf would shadow step repeatedly and then slowfall the last several feet of the drop and be fine
>>
So I'm curious if the fix me DM's decided for the Frenzy Barbarians level 3 feature's any good. It's that you get the extra attack, gain the level of exhaustion but you don't need to use your bonus action for the attack.
>>
>>52020063
Is the Extra Attack invocation worth it for Hexblades or can they function just fine spamming GFB? That invocation freed up at the cost of a cantrip tax seems valuable
>>
>>52022424
>20d6 would actually be too high of a number?

iirc since to be killed instantly you'd need to have your full HP's worth left over afterwards, a first level, 11 hp PC could OCCASIONALLY survive that sort of fall, no?

Granted, I hate rules-as-physics.
>>
>>52022426
There are a lot of things we never should have moved away from Gygax on.
>tfw my Fighter would have a castle right now
>>
>>52022426
It's always been 20d6 and the PHB actually referenced Vesna Vulovic in AD&D already.
>>
>>52022450

nothing is stopping you
>>
>>52022416
Nah, they're wizards. If they didn't take feather fall or cast a spell or some shit they are literally retarded.

>>52022424
Because falling damage should be proportional to the height fallen. Do try to keep up.

>>52022426
What blathering idiocy did he mash out?
>>
>>52022426
Gygax really seemed like an autist to me.
>>
>>52022460
>Because falling damage should be proportional to the height fallen. Do try to keep up.

But it is. It's 1d6 damage per 10ft until 200ft when it's 20d6 and it stops due to terminal velocity.
>>
>>52022455
>It's always been 20d6

Gygax put down (1d6 per 10 feet) per 10 feet. Editor changed it to 1d6 per 10 feet. In Unearthed Arcana, Gary put it as (1d6 per 10 feet) per 10 feet again.

I don't care much since I despise rules-as-physics, and if the DM wants to put a lethal fall somewhere, he can do so easy peasy (spike pit traps inexplicably smeared with super lethal poison ought to kill almost any PC or monster).
>>
>>52022460
So let's go over this again. Because terminal velocity exists, the "damage" of the fall wouldn't increase after a certain point. Do you know what terminal velocity is?
>>
>>52022460
>Because falling damage should be proportional to the height fallen. Do try to keep up.

>This methos is simple and reasonably realistic. The distance fallen is not the only determining factor in how badly a person is hurt. Other factors may include elasticity of the falling body and the ground, angle of impact, shockwave through the falling body, dumb luck and more.
>People have actually fallen from great heights and survived, albeit very rarely. The current record-holder, Vesna Vulovic, survived a fall from a height of 33,330 feet in 1972, although she was severely injured. Flight-Sergeant Nicholas S. Alkemade actually fell 18,000 feet - almost 3.5 miles - without a parachute and landed uninjured!
>>
>>52022448
Rolling a 1 on 20 consecutive d6s.
That's 2.73x10^-16
Statistically impossible.
>>
>>52022470
The polearm obsession didn't tip you off already?
>>
>>52022476
Not that guy, but the problem I have with that is that 200ft isn't really terminal velocity. It's closer to 1,880 feet. That's high enough that in most cases, you shouldn't have to worry about a cap.
>>
>>52022505
0.0000000000000273% chance, if I'm doing this right.
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 1, 3, 4, 3, 5, 1, 1, 6, 2, 6, 6, 3, 5, 1, 5, 4, 3, 3 = 68 (20d6)

>>52022505
Just as statistically possible as any other roll you do with 20 consecutive D6s.
>>
>>52022476
20d6 is because of terminal velocity, at 200 feet. The point where you wouldn't reach terminal velocity and would actually deal more lerhal damage to yourself.

>>52022484
>>52022494
People shouldn't wear parachutes ever again, because clearly there'll eventually be enough resistance to prevent further acceleration. They're be able to survive no worries.
>>
>>52022549
>terminal velocity, at 200 feet
Stop saying this, because it's wrong.
>>
>>52022549
>People shouldn't wear parachutes ever again, because clearly there'll eventually be enough resistance to prevent further acceleration. They're be able to survive no worries.
You're less smart than you probably think you are.
>>
>>52022514
Yeah, I was trying to say that here >>52022549
>>
Any particularly interesting large prey for green dragons that isn't A) humanoid or B) dinosaurs?

I have plenty of things for my big fuckers in subterranean, swamp and aquatic biomes to eat, not sure what would be particularly good for green dragons to eat. Perhaps most of a troll's body.
>>
>>52022560
No shit Sherlock, I was saying that was the point where terminal velocity wouldn't come into effect. Keep reading.

>>52022567
Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. But clearly parachutes are extraneous. Why waste so much money on expensive parachutes when you're clearly be able to each terminal velocity on your own.
>>
>>52022574
Foresty stuff, then? How about treants? I mean, they're trees, but they're magical and all. What if something like magical sentient trees is a particular delicacy to a green dragon?

Not probably main prey, but something they'd never turn down, at least.
>>
In my next game I was going to use the gritty rules that change short rests to 8 hours and long rests to 7 days. Problem is there's not going to be much chance for anyone to ever spend 7 days without doing anything in this game. I've come up with some alternate rules for it.

Long rest spell casters can spend a Hit Die on a short rest to regain half their level in spell slots. They can't use any Hit Die to regain health if they do this though.

On top of this you don't need a Long Rest of 7 days to regain everything, it happens every seven in game days or if you spend an entire day in a proper inn or house.

Also healing and revival magic doesn't exist in the setting so it makes the trade off a bit more dangerous.
>>
You guys should decide if a capped 20d6 is terminal velocity or not, because you've been arguing and claiming different things.
>>
>>52022587
You do realize that actually reaching terminal velocity means you're going so fast you're almost certainly going to die, right? People wear parachutes to keep themselves from reaching these speeds. That's a terrible point.

I mean, jesus christ, if you just want really high falls to probably kill anyone falling down, just roll a d100 (or d20, whatever), and if it doesn't land on whatever percentage you deem appropriate, then boom, you're dead.

That's simple, no endless mucking like this required.
>>
>>52022594

That sounds good.
>>
>>52022531
Point is that in that example the only roll that person would survive would be the lowest possible.
>>
>>52022617
Tell that to the others who don't think so.
>>
>>52022587
I still don't see what you're getting at. Everything you say is completely incomprehensible. Reminds me of talking to a schizophrenic person.
>>
>>52022617
That's not what Terminal means in this case. It means the end point for the change in velocity (so, the Terminal Point). People wear Parachutes to decrease the Terminal Velocity to a speed that doesn't kill them. Literally everything has a Terminal Velocity. Some things die or break at said speed, others do not.
>>
You know what is worse than a player with an MC syndrome?

When he gets to DM. I didn't know this kind of suffering existed.
>>
>>52022617
You and the others have different definitions of terminal velocity. Which one is correct?
>>
>>52022642
Do you know what a joke is, you autist?
>>
>>52022642
Whoosh.
You needed a parachute.
>>
>>52022658
No one believes that you're pretending to be retarded. It's too late.
>>
>>52022667
Hah! Whatever helps you sleep at night and wear the big boy pants. Keep being autistic.
>>
File: worried.jpg (5KB, 153x199px) Image search: [Google]
worried.jpg
5KB, 153x199px
jesus this thread got autistic, even by /5eg/ standards
>>
>>52022678
It's how they prove they're better than you. We never asked for this.
>>
>>52022686
This is an English-speaking thread anon.
>>
>>52022704
Then what are you doing here if your English is that bad?
>>
>>52022638
At 20d6, normal people are almost certainly going to die. The people who are going to tank that fall are people who are in the level bracket where you're superheroes.
>>
>>52022677
>accuses people of being autistic
>still thinks a level 10 PC is a normal person
>is unable to write a coherent, short sentence
>>
>>52022725
Was Vesna and the first sergeant, amongst others, superheroes in disguise?
>>
>>52022736
>D&D does not actually model every extreme fringe case well outside of normal expectations
>A wargame-derivative originally created for bashing goblins and taking their shit is not actually a simulation

Oh no. How can this be?
>>
>>52022736
No. They were incredibly lucky.

This the formulation "almost certainly going to die". You might notice the presence of the word almost, which is a qualifier which means "not quite entirely", or "not totally". It's the difference between something being empty and something being almost empty. When I say my glass is almost empty, it probably means I still have a sip left to drink. Or it might mean someone slipped enough poison in it for a sip, thus something being in the glass. Whereas if the glass is empty, there's just nothing in it.
>>
>>52022736
Do you know the difference between "almost certainly" and "certainly"?
>>
>>52022735
You need to take some remedial English lessons if you think that was incoherent, you autist. It proves how severely autistic you are.

And you seem to think that Vesna, the first sergeant and whoever else also survived were also level 10 PCs.
Think whatever you want, mate.
>>
>>52022754
>>52022761
>>52022765
That guy wasn't lying when he said 5eg was incredibly autistic.
>>
>>52022781
>And you seem to think...
You're functionally illiterate. And legitimately on the spectrum.
>>
>>52022797
Autists don't understand nuance so it has to be explained to them.
>>
>everyone calling each other autistic

Love you guys, don't ever change.
>>
>>52022798
Good comeback, yeah, keep that fighting spirit alive.
>>
>>52022781
At first I thought you just really liked the word autistic, but now I see your repeated use of that word is just a symptom of your limited vocabulary.
At least you know "remedial", even if it's only because you're in remedial English lessons yourself.
>>
>>52022617
Terminal velocity refers to the point where the force of resistance from the air / water / whatever is equal to the force of gravity. If a human is falling through water, the terminal velocity is pretty damn safe, while if a diamond is falling through a vacuum, its terminal velocity is the speed of light.
>>
>>52022831
Damn, you must be fantastic at debates. Good golly, you made some fantastic points.
And I just know you must have a lot of friends.
>>
>>52022858
If you want to talk about being good at debates, you might want to check that ad hominem you just pulled cutie.
>>
So, looks like Eberron might be the next CS?

I think Chris Perkins was saying secret playtesting of something was happening? Might this have been Eberron material?
>>
>>52022886
Shut the fuck up. We /terminalvelocity/ now
>>
I know that you're having a fight, but it's petty boring, so I'll interject with a question.
Do you think they'll finally give us Mystic this monday? And if not, what will be the disappointment this time?
>>
>>52022886
He also said not to read into him having Eberron's original design docs at ECCC at all.
>>
>>52022894
I'm pretty sure they'll release a new ruleset on falling damage.

Terminal Velocity, Revisited.
>>
>>52022894
It's not even a fight. It's like watching toddlers smearing everything in shit. It's fucking annoying.
>>
>>52022897
That's not fucking suspicious at all.

>>52022877
I guess you must feel intimidated because the fucker talks like a jock.
>>
>>52022894
I'd like some half decent crafting rules.
The ones we have now are basically non existent and at the same time ensure you never have time to craft anything of worth.
>>
>>52022931
The stereotype that jocks are retards really is false, anon. I knew plenty of jocks that had great grades and never bullied a fly.
>>
>>52022960
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Don't cry anymore.

>>52022894
It'd probably be something random and way out there again. What next from the DMG might they give us?
>>
>>52022960
Don't cry anymore little autist, your days of being bullied are over. Now what do you see from Wizards?
>>
>>52021627
We also had martial die for all martials in testing. Grognards killed off some stuff, but the noobs probably killed off stuff like that too.
Also, Shaman would work fine as a 'Companion' Archetype for Druid or Cleric.
>>
>>52021687
Oath of Vengeance does get some mobility stuff.
>>
>>52022478
>(1d6 per 10 feet) per 10 feet
Wait, I don't get it.
>>
>>52021952
>Pathfinder being actually well-written low-mid fantasy instead of a theme park with Halloween decorations and weeb staff.
>>
>>52022931
>talks like a jock.
kek, no he doesn't. The only "jocks" who talk like that are the ones destined to end up fat and with dashed dreams.
>>
>>52021320
Different anon, but, I BANISH YE BACK TO YOUR BOARD OF ORIGIN!

Should you fail this save and I maintain concentration for a minute, then that is where you must remain, back upon /pol/
>>
I dunno, I feel as though druids fit the role of shaman pretty well. And if you don't like wildshape either go stronk shaman and be a totem barb or nature cleric.

I don't know about your preferred setting but in many shamanistic cultures the shaman believed they could transform into certain animal shapes. The jaguar shaman in the one that comes to mind most immediately.
>>
>>52021363
Huh, you know I'd use a 5E swordsage as a vehicle to bring back Duskblades and Arcane Archers. A half caster arcane class on par with Paladin or Ranger.
>>
>>52023146
So everyone keeps talking about duskblades. I would have thought that the hexblade patron was meant to be their stand-in.
>>
>>52021627
They said everything, race and class wise, that had been in a first players handbook for any edition would have a place in the initial release of 5E.
>>
>>52023083
1d6 for the first 10 feet, 2d6 for the next 10 (total 3d6)

So on and so forth...
>>
>>52023156
The hexblade patron is meant to fill in for the Hexblade class.
>>
>>52023179
Oh shit. That sounds neat. Sorry about not getting the math. I was a Lib-Arts major. No practical skills.
>>
>>52023146
UA Blade Pact already does it fine though.
>>
>>52023160
Where's my elf class and dwarf class?
>>
>>52023197
I was a Fine Arts major. You have no excuse.
>>
>>52022205
A friend of mine used something like that for their SJ campaign back in college, but it was that the Imperial Elven Navy and the Gith (both kinds) were conducting an uneasy truce blockade of the crystal sphere because of all its weirdness besides the magical industrial revolution.

Then the elves dropped a boat filled with gold bullion on House Canith in secret to rent a Creche and a Dragon Marked operator to bolster their forges with the Thrabelel (Loyal Servants) all Mithral bodied Warforged under 50 year contracts with the IEN for the cost of their creation.

House Cannith lost the gold in the Mourning.

It was a fun campaign.
>>
>>52023131
>I dunno, I feel as though druids fit the role of shaman pretty well.

Again, no more than battlemasters are warlords.

How many status effect immune spirit animal conjurations do druids get at all times? How many druid cantrips let them grant at will attacks?

Seriously, every element that points out the battlemaster is not the warlord points out that the druid is not the shaman.
>>
>>52023191
I didn't realize those were two different things.
Awful names.
>>
>>52023146
We have a class that is a combination of the Fighty Man and the Holy Man, the Paladin.
We have another that is the Sneaky Gal and the Hippie Gal, Ranger.
The Angry Man, the Punchy Man, the four different Magic Guy and the Mind Guy haven't been combined with each other in 5e as their own class. Let's get the Mind Guy and then get something Mind Guy+Punchy Guy ass separate class and Magic Man+Angry Man as their own class first.
>>
>>52023197
I actually just looked it up because I couldn't parse what was being said.
>>
>>52023210
Fair enough.
>>52023236
I'm not alone anymore. ;_;
>>
>>52023218
See I think we're having two different arguments here.
I think you're talking about shamans as in the mechanics of a class, I'm speaking purely from an archetypal flavor standpoint.
>>
>>52023219
Hexblade was originally about cursing and debuffing foes as you were some kind of warrior who was also a magical luck sink with limited spellcasting.

Duskblade was about blending sword and less limited but differently focused spellcasting. Late in the 3.5 cycle and also trying to shake up the spellcaster basics and play with the action economy.
>>
>>52023273

>I'm speaking purely from an archetypal flavor standpoint.

Same thing but warlord.
>>
>>52023275
>Make bladelock
>Take hex
>Take bane
You're a 'exblade, 'arry.
>>
A player of mine went to a WotC ECCC panel and said that they said that they are working more full classes (plural) for UA. So... stay tuned for that.
>>
>>52023329
Yeah, especially with the Pact...which is weird in that its flavored to intelligent weapons instead of a pact with an unnamed entity to balance the scales of misfortune that are drawn to you.

Maybe instead of a warlock pact it should have been a sorcerous origin, given that being a hexblade is less a choice and more about being a magical freak.
>>
>>52023310
I admit I don't know anything about warlords.
I'm just saying that shamans and shapeshifting make sense and in my mind if you were going for a different type of shaman you could do so by reflavoring a different class or multiclassing to fit that need.

What do you want out of warlord that can't be provided? Again I feel like there's a mechanical basis for what you assume a warlord should be able to do as well as what a shaman should be able to do. And that's fine. It's just not where I'm coming from, personally.

That being the case. What would you like to see in a warlord class or a shaman class that would provide something worthwhile? Doesn't have to be a class either I suppose, could be archetype.
>>
>>52023369
It's a warlock thing as a leftover from Hexblades being an Essentials subclass of Warlock in 4e.
>>
>>52023384
Yeah, which I thought at the time was a weird place to put them while also making them an arcane soul knife. Such is life.
>>
>>52023383
I don't personally care much, as the warlord and shaman, despite being what I try to play almost 99% of the time, are pretty meta.

I'd just file shaman stuff under cantrips + powers + an archetype (like how the Swordmage cantrips are in Sword Coast) and warlord stuff as new, higher level only, battlemaster maneuvers, perhaps.
>>
Why don't they ever have the psionics ready from the get-go? We all know they're gonna come eventually.
>>
>>52023417
AHAH! The idea of level prerequisite maneuvers to scratch more Battlemaster as Warlord and more effective other types of fighter itch are catching on.
>>
>>52023444

Eh, I don't think it would really work.

The issue with the battlemaster is that it is, at it's core, a fighter. It's supposed to be the primary combatant. Hence all the extra attacks it gets, which are not really something going to go away.

The warlord fills a very different role where it's not the primary combatant, it's a secondary combatant who makes the primary ones better.
>>
>>52023457
So like some sort of tactician?
What about a mastermind/battlemaster?
>>
>>52023457
So it needs to be a primary class that at most gets Extra attack from one of its archetypes.

Like the difference between a Lazy Warlord at the back ranks directing with a baton and a warrior that leads by example.
>>
>>52023457

The really hard core warlord fans aren't going to be satisfied with *anything* unless than a total action economy buster, which isn't even a warlord thing so much as a 4e in general thing to various degrees.

Even though the majority of warlord powers are, indeed, you making a strength attack against someone and buff/debuff them (hit people and knock them down to grant disadvantage would get the jist of many warlord powers), and a shield master + commander strike fighter is more warlordy than 4e fightery already, the really hardcore 4e warlords aren't gonna be satisfied without an uber action economy busting class.

So the WotC staff should keep in mind that the warlord people are primarily guys who will not be satisfiable and temper their plans accordingly. Releasing a warlord will probably piss off more people than it satisfies, afterall.
>>
I've been doing Tyranny so question. Does anyone have stat blocks for Leosin and Ontharr Frume? I looked online but couldn't find anything.
>>
So what can Lizardfolk do well? I was thinking Sun Soul monk for an early damage boost and being awesome, but DEX Fighter or a ranger were also ideas I had.
>>
>>52022435
I prefer the other fixes: does not cause exhaustion but have to rest before using it again; or frenzy costs two rages to activate.
>>
>>52023365
Fucking sweet as, more info please?
>>
>>52023490
If I were to play a tactician I'd probably do valor bard/mastermind rogue and reflavor it away from the music/bardy stuff. Or keep the music shit. Who knows.

Maybe you see the battlefield as an orchestra or a play that's yours to command.
>>
>>52023520

So 'Shouldn't do because people won't be happy with it'.

They released the Artificer, despite that concept also applying pretty heavily to it.
>>
>>52023520

Not all leaders broke action economy much. I mean, the cleric barely touched it.

However, the Warlord was THE enabler among the leaders with the Animist Shaman only a step behind.
>>
>>52023567
Old grizzled Valor bard with a great axe. He was a knight, poet and story teller. Got magical training from a Wizard who served the same noble after he was injured for a long time. Now he's going out to practise his magic and try to retrain his physical skills he lost.
>>
>>52023591
>So 'Shouldn't do because people won't be happy with it'.

Yup. The hype of the warlord has nothing to do with its fluff and everything to do with an extremely 4e mechanic. It would be like warden or battlemind fans A) existing and B) raging because they can't mark people (and punish people) the same way.

>They released the Artificer, despite that concept also applying pretty heavily to it.

The artificer is flavor first, mechanics a different second -- some of the 4e mechanics (magic weapon) are just shoutouts to things from 3e. There's just no way to make a crafting oriented class without the artificer, whereas warlord fandom is solely about the nitty gritty mechanical elements.
>>
>>52022894
There will be no UA this Monday. Read last week's page again.
>>
>>52023616
I'm a Spell Commander Artificer|Shaman fan, myself. I had a whole progression that is either entirely or almost entirely devoid of wisdom I've never really used to the point of actually GETTING Spell Commander, but yeah.

The warlord *introduced* attack granting but it doesn't particularly own it, and its not gonna keep the same mechanics if it shows up in 4e, any more than the fighter and paladin did.
>>
>>52023628

Not being able to mark for crap IS an issue with 5e. You need optional feats enable to actually keep people locked down with your fighter.
>>
>>52023628

And? There is room for both top-down and bottom up design for classes.
>>
>>52023668
There's a marking variant rule in the DMG. Not sure how it compares to 4e though.
>>
>>52023686

It's not really the same. In part because baseline marks were a very secondary thing to however a given defender punished them.
>>
>>52023693
Hm, it works pretty similarly for fighters.

5e isn't very "attack with any attribute you like"-ish, so the other guys generally gotta make do with the same mechanic.
>>
>>52023218
Currently they don't, but there's no reason you couldn't have a Circle of Spirits archetype that focuses on summoning spiritual beasts. I think that'd be my preferred way to do it, actually.

But then I also think that summoner should be a wizard archetype, binder should be a warlock archetype, and soulknife should be a monk archetype. The only 'missing' class that I think needs it's own class rules is Warlord, because the idea and mechanics behind it are pretty far from anything we have right now. Before anyone says battlemaster, they must tell me how a battlemaster heals his allies in combat.
>>
>>52023369
I for one would like to see a full on fatespinner sorc origin, but hexblade is different. If they ever make an arcane paladin, hexblade would be one archetype.
>>
File: 1447984383442.gif (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1447984383442.gif
9KB, 200x200px
>>52020063
What's the best Hexblade weapon set up if you don't take Curse Bringer? Is that even a good idea or is Curse Bringer just too good?
>>
>>52023520
Honestly, the best way to make an enabler/force-multiplier warlord would be to copy the chainlock's ability to let their familiar attack as the core mechanic:

Whenever the warlord takes the attack action, he may forgo one or more of his attacks. For every attack he forgoes, an ally within 30' who can see and hear him may make one attack.

The total number of attacks made is the same, they're just spread out more (which anyone with a bow can do anyways).
>>
>>52023426
To be fair, they didn't have rangers, monks, or sorcerers ready when they had to print the phb, and look how they've turned out.
>>
>>52023641
What excuse are they giving this time?
>>
File: 1437769259613.png (192KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1437769259613.png
192KB, 500x500px
>>52023912
Alternate question.

Would you as a DM allow Curse Bringer to be a longsword instead of a greatsword if you're planning to pump Str anyways?
>>
File: 1485204486804.jpg (990KB, 1800x2032px) Image search: [Google]
1485204486804.jpg
990KB, 1800x2032px
Currently thinking up a rewrite of the Sorcerer. I decided to remove Metamagic, seeing as it's the least interesting/useful ability, and it seems like everyone else is getting something as good or better fucking Lore Wizard.

In its place, I have changed the exchange rate of Sorcery Points and Spell Slots to 1:1, and I have introduced Spell Surging:

>Spell Surge
>You are able to draw from a deep well of magical might in order to empower your spells. At 3rd level, once during your turn, whenever you cast a spell that damages or heals HP, you may spend a number of sorcery points up to 5. Add 1d6 to the damage (Force damage) or healing effect for each point spent this way. If the spell targets more than one creature, you only roll the additional dice once, assigning the extra damage or healing as you choose among targets. Damage from Spell Surge does not multiply with critical hits.
>At 10th-level, when you use this feature, you gain resistance to all damage until the end of your next turn.
>At 17th-level, you regain 1 sorcery point if two or more spell surge dice roll 1’s.

I feel like the 10th and 17th level improvements are too weak to make up for the loss of metamagic. What do you guys think?
>>
>>52023520
Battle master has a gimped, useless healing word and limited commander's strike. It's like a Fighter that took a warlord multiclass feat.

Casters are allowed to break the action economy with buffs and summons all over the place.

There's no warlord because the "hp are meat" "martial cheerleaders" h4ters always flip their shit about it. Not because warlord players have unreasonable goals.
>>
>>52023878
>because the idea and mechanics behind it are pretty far from anything we have right now.

Mechanically speaking. Flavor wise, its down pat.

The battlemaster is way closer to the warlord than the binder is to the warlock, so long as we're talking about mechanics.
>>
>>52024053
Yeah, the binder might be closer to an alternate class than an archetype. I'm thinking of a patron that's basically several piecemeal abilities you can choose from on a long rest, but that's pretty far from the scope of the current Warlock.

I still stand by my Circle of Spirits idea, though. I might actually put pen to paper and work on it, too.
>>
>>52023933
That'd be much too crazy and 5e really isn't about heavy action economy breaking shit like that.

What gets me is that the warlord fans seem super-insanely obsessive about one thing above all else, lazylords, and want lazylord mechanics to completely dominate the 5e warlord. Just isn't going to happen.
>>
So I'm making a Lizardfolk monk and stat array is this:

10, 15, 16, 8, 16, 8.

Now when I reach level 4 should I take a +1 to two Ability scores or a feat like Athlete with +1 Dexterity.
>>
>>52020390
Jesus fuck Orc Kensei becomes OP with Eye of Grummsh.
>>
>>52024046

>all over the place

Bullshit. They can use their concentration slot to:
1. Haste one person
2. Conjure a pretty weak pet
3. Seriously debuff a bunch of enemies

>Not because warlord players have unreasonable goals.

Yeah, what's unreasonable about wanting buffs as strong or stronger than magic, not use limited like magic, not requiring concentration like magic, and not being things you can disable like magic, while still offering 100% or more increase in attack power?

>but wizards can plane shift!
>>
>>52024053
You could make a warlord by either ripping and replacing the bard's entire spellcasting feature, and boosting their armor, or by ripping out or giving away every fighter feature and reducing their armor. You'd also have to change, add, and improve some maneuvers.

The fighter is the brash young hero while the warlord is the wise old mentor.
>>
>>52024119
It doesn't break the action economy - the total number of actions and effects remain the same.

Something like 'as a bonus action, an ally who can see or hear you within 30' may move up to their speed' breaks the economy, because you're doing something that normally can't be done as a bonus action (moving, or letting an ally move). Rogues do this almost every single turn and no one complains about them being broken.
>>
>>52024168
You're clearly the one being reasonable here and not just sperging at the mention of martial cheerleaders.
>>
>>52024190

It'd be fine if it uses up the target's bonus or reaction image. Some sort of awkward ability that allows them to do the Haste thing (as a daily ability, you can, in a very inefficient fashion, give the target a single extra attack while not being able to do anything more), but like Haste it would have to be BRUTALLY inefficient, something you'd really only want to do in extreme situations.

A party of warlords all essentially wielding one fighter etc. (and his magic weapon) with perfect efficiency would be painfully retarded, though.
>>
>>52021867
Alright, new player here, the hell does "Large Build" mean?
>>
>>52024237
You count as one size-category larger for calculating weight you can lift and carry.
>>
>>52024218
Considering enablers are what I virtually always play in 4e, nah.
>>
>>52024236
Actually, I'm gonna concede here; the mechanic I'm basing it on was errata'd (when a chainlock's familiar attacks, it does so with it's reaction). I didn't realize this.

So the basic mechanic for the class would be you give up an attack, and for every attack you give up an ally in 30' who can see and hear you can make an attack as a reaction. At higher levels (maybe something like a level 15 capstone) I'd remove that limitation, but before then it's perfectly in-line with the chainlock.
>>
>>52024280
>when a chainlock's familiar attacks, it does so with it's reaction

So wait, does a chainlock familiar get a normal attack as well? I assume not. As far as I know, familiars just plain can't attack, and the warlock does his action to lift that restriction. Weird.
>>
>>52024312
That's about the size of it, yeah. The chain familiar is granted by the find familiar ritual, which specifies that the familiar can't attack. So you have to give up your attack and your familiar's reaction to do it.
>>
>>52024280
Something else regarding the warlord: Rather than letting them actually heal 'meat' HP (for lack of a better term), have them grant temporary HP. In combat, the difference between regular HP and temp HP is largely academic, and inspiration being used to grant temporary HP is already a RAW mechanic (inspiring leader feat). Hopefully that keeps the 'reeeeeee nonmagics can't heal' crowd satisfied.
>>
>>52024260
Then shouldn't it be called Powerful Build, like the Goliath?
>>
>>52024426
Ostensibly that is what anon meant.
>>
File: 1431838449226.gif (496KB, 226x200px) Image search: [Google]
1431838449226.gif
496KB, 226x200px
>>52020063
What's a cool backstory for a Kenku Bard oppressed by humans?
>>
>>52024380
A character that can't heal is not a warlord. The only point of healing in combat is to recover a PC dropped to 0 hp. I don't care if you gears of war it, a warlord has to have the option to heal. It can be optional though.
>>
>>52024324
hmm, interesting
>>
>>52024629
Probably either let them use Healing Word in some faculty, or give death saving throw bonuses.
>>
>>52024629
>>52024649
Maybe have the core mechanic be similar to healing word, with one of the archetypes granting temp HP when you use that ability.
>>
When is Wizards releasing 6e?
>>
>>52024717
You have plenty of time to start developing your 5.5e rulebook anon, don't worry.
>>
>>52024721
I'm not Paizo, and no one is buttblasted enough with this edition.
>>
>>52024717
>>52024721
I keep expecting Wizards to announce 5.5e or 5e Essential. We're about 5 years in now and revised Ranger still needs its official release.
>>
File: bait-kun.png (91KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait-kun.png
91KB, 800x600px
>>52024738
>We're about 5 years in now
Not even 3.
>>
>>52024738
If they announce Essentials, that'll definitely pave the way for a new edition.

A 0.5 iteration of a system seems to be par for the course for Wizards.
>>
>>52024768
I am sorry, I am stupid and keep counting from Next. Always forget how long the playtests went.

I think 3 years was about the time it took for 3.5 and 4e Essentials though, so I'm still keeping my eyes out.
>>
>>52024781
I don't think 5e really needs a 5.5. It does need a second edition of the core books, with the errata and class fixes officially printed.
>>
>>52024793
Yeah, I really wonder what the fuck is up with Wizard's hesitation to push books out. With some unfortunate exceptions, UA stuff has been solid enough to go into a book with little more editing. I could seriously use some more content books, but at the lack of bloat, a core rulebook I don't have to check against errata would be nice.
>>
>>52024793
Apparently Chris was talking about potential new classes at ECCC. He also alluded to secret playtesting that was being done on his Twitter, hopefully for a new CS or new PHB.
There's also the UAs that've been released, hopefully that also amounts to something.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll release rules to play as superhumans or deities.
>>
>>52024380
Oh, you mean Rally, the cha scaling temp hp boost from the BATTLEMASTER.

Seriously, people keep saying it isn't but battlemaster has literally every feature people claim to want from a warlord, and just claim it isn't strong enough and hits too well.

Hell, if battlemaster lost extra attacks 3+4 and scaled commanders strike and rally, whats the damned difference?
>>
File: 11.png (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
11.png
7KB, 250x250px
>>52020063
What Bardic college do I use if I want to focus on singing in particular? Glamour?

Homebrew can be used if needed.
>>
File: TomboyMonk.jpg (154KB, 1748x2480px) Image search: [Google]
TomboyMonk.jpg
154KB, 1748x2480px
would you take her as a bride even if she is super boyish?
>>
>>52024884
Literally any class, and any archetype.

Assassins and Thieves are probably the hardest, but can still work.
>>
>>52024889
>/pfg/
I've been waiting for this day. A little and the takeover will be complete.
>>
>>52024905
>Bardic College
>Assassins and Thieves

I don't understand anon
>>
>>52024913
Autists already visited this thread. It's more than underway.
>>
>>52024927
I literally answered that any archetype, or even any class, can be fluffed with the power of song.

You are asking a non-question, so the only answer is, yes, X archetype works to sing.

Literally all you need is Perform and charisma. A rogue will be technically better overall at singing if he wants to be.
>>
>>52024889
You say that like it's a downside.
>>
>>52024889
Give her a dick, make her a he and I'll marry him
>>
>>52024539
I dunno, but if you don't scream "polly want a cracker?" while you kill people I will be disappoint.
>>
File: birds.png (47KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
birds.png
47KB, 530x298px
Alright here we go /5eg/ i present to you the raven lord build.

>Kenku
>Warlock 3, Raven Queen, Chain
>Wizard 3 Whatever you want
>Druid 5 Whatever you want

You take your pact of the chain and summon a raven. Three birds already with the free one from the raven queen.

Then you take your druid levels and cast Conjure Animals. Boom, Eight more ravens. You take your ten total birds and perch them on your bird shoulders for a total of eleven whole birds.

Then you take your wizard powers. Cast mirror image. This creates three copies of you and whatever your wearing. Fuck you you're wearing the birds. If your DM doesn't let the birds count as being worn you should get a new one because they're as retarded as I am. This leads to a total of forty-four god damn ravens going kaw kaw and shitting over benches or whatever.

But who knows, game goes on a while and you find yourself with a ton more levels. Take those and slap them all into wizard, up until you get thirteen levels in wizard for simulacrum. You make a copy of yourself and have them do everything you've been doing for this entire game for a grand total of eighty-eight birds.
>>
>>52025002
I'd be cool with any combination thereof.
>>
>>52025038
13 + 5 + 3 = 21 levels.
>>
Please read and review!
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/462kev/the_psionic_handbook_a_homebrew_continuation_of/
>>
>>52025117
shit
>>
>>52024841
What's the difference between paladin and cleric? Clearly cleric can just be a paladin subclass.
>>
>>52025170
Every feature of both? They even have different versions Spellcasting. I guess they share Channel Divinity.

Thematically, one is the casty holy man, the other is the punchy holy man, although even that isn't true in 5e really, since Oaths aren't gods.
Druid/Cleric is closer, but druids are grandfathered in, while 4e is typically ignored by fans and wotc.

A charismatic Battlemaster is thematically a warlord, and mechanically similar by 5e standards and design intent. The PDK also fits, but no one likes it, and its ass.
>>
>>52024166
Motherfucker you're right.

Hmm. What in the dick should I use rather than that..? Proficiency?
>>
Why don't you guys complaining about being a warlord just multiclass fighter and bard?
>>
People generally consider crossbows a hell of a lot stronger than bows. Is there a specific reason for this?

I can't see how a longbow is worse than a crossbow. Is it solely because of crossbow expert?
>>
>>52025463
Also longer range, and more choice in what you can do. You can go Arcane Archer or Moon Bow lock if you want alternative builds, can't do anything interesting RAW with Crossbows save for rapidfire Hand Crossbow.
>>
>>52023522
If you want stats for them, you gotta make them yourself. They're not really going to fight with or against the party at any points, and if you have to roll some checks (Insight, deception, athletics for arm-wrestling, constitution for drinking contests, etc), you could easily estimate a number.

I assume Leosin is either a shadow or open hand monk somewhere between 5th-8th level, and Ontharr Frume a devotion paladin probably above 11th level, considering he's one of the top guys from the Order of the Gauntlet.
>>
>>52025315
Point being that paladin and cleric are as similar as battle master and warlord.
>>
File: 1463611123572.jpg (20KB, 287x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463611123572.jpg
20KB, 287x480px
>>52020063
Shadow Monk 8 / Rogue 1 acting as the party scout.

Alert and Mobile or Alert and Observant?
>>
>>52025597
Nah, more like druid = fighter shaman = warlord.

>>52025511
Shooting in melee
>>
>>52025741
Observant
>>
File: Capture.jpg (10KB, 162x48px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
10KB, 162x48px
>>52025754
The power is intoxicating

Base 10 +3 Wisdom +4 Prof Bonus, Expertise, Observant
>>
>>52023383
I'm fine with the Warlord being a Fighter subclass, just not the Battlemaster.

The Battlemaster and Banneret both have a handful of nice buffs but they need to be combined essentially. Most of the Battlemaster choices are still self buffs/tricks and the ones usable on others are pretty limited. The whole subclass (assuming Fighter base) should be about improving the group ability to fight.
>>
File: 1486436399017.jpg (15KB, 192x286px) Image search: [Google]
1486436399017.jpg
15KB, 192x286px
>>52025772
See everything as it truly is, my song
>>
File: 1367794570668.jpg (55KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1367794570668.jpg
55KB, 346x346px
>>52025778
I can see it anon
I can see the truth
>>
>>52025778
>my song
just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>52025774
Inflicting knockdown resembles a lot of warlord powers into itself (provides roughly +4 to +5 to hit) and there are a few similar to riposte as well.

The fact that we're dealing with bounded accuracy, only one level of advantage, and the reaction/bonus action cap means that even if there was a warlord, there'd be a limit on how far he could push things.

Martial, and nonmagical in general, concentration powers are one of the few remaining niches untouched. Stances, for example, could be this.
>>
Just cast feeblemind on the inventor of firearms in our setting.

I know for a fact the DM's next character was going to be a gunslinger homebrew which was massively over powered.

5eg just became 5D Chess
>>
Ok, so I'm a halfling swashbuckler rogue with these stats in order: 11 20 12 15 13 16
Expertise in Stealth, Acrobatics, Perception, Investigation
Proficiency in Persuasion, Sleight of Hand

Should I get Skilled at some point for Athletics, Insight and maybe History? Or just increase Wisdom and Intelligence?
>>
>>52025821
I think there is an issue where there are players who like empowering other players. It's nice for them to have options.

I'm happy with my 1 basic attack/round really if I can be boosting allies as well.

4e spoiled us in having lots of options for healers/leaders, 5e seems to have really taken back a fair amount, really we're mostly back to just Bards and Clerics, which is kind of disappointing.

Make Leaders Great Again!
>>
>>52025862
>Should I get Skilled at some point for Athletics, Insight and maybe History? Or just increase Wisdom and Intelligence?

What? Why?
>>
File: 16916.jpg (317KB, 567x763px) Image search: [Google]
16916.jpg
317KB, 567x763px
>>52025860
>Just cast feeblemind on the inventor of firearms in our setting.
Realize that guns were invented independently in multiple places, as were multiple firing mechanisms. Gunpowder existed already 1500 years ago and was the work of alchemists completely accidentally figuring it out.

And if your complaint is that it's not D&D, eat shit
>>
>>52024024
>1 point per d6
>No crit

Level 10 is too strong, level 17 is too weak.

The Sorcerer's problem isn't that it needs more damage, it's just crap compared to every other full caster. Taking away their niche of twinned concentration spells and shit like quickened sunbeam x2 would ruin them even further. What the class needs is an boost to its flexibility, which is why Spell Point Sorcs are used so often. That along with some minor boosts to individual archetypes (like letting Draconics to change a spell's element to theirs. Fuck Lore Master) bring them up to par with other classes.
>>
>>52025911
Because I like having more skills and when I get Reliable Talent it means I won't always fuck up athletics checks.
>>
>>52025907
And druids.
>>
>>52025917
Either way I've ended the OP gunslinger that was barrelling our way. In the campaign our mission was to stop the development of the firearm which was deeply guarded project and only had one this guy working on it under protection. So unless you're suggesting that the DM's going to shoehorn another manhattan project which just so happenes to be running a few miles off you can eat shit.
>>
>>52025745
It's like you've never even heard of roles.
>>
>>52025907
>It's nice for them to have options.

Right, but they shouldn't be no brainers at all, not necessarily locked into their role. Clerics and valor bards are about the right of it; the Martial Telekineticist who just dumps two attacks (or god forbid, more) into giving the GWM guy with the magic sword (or whatever) +2 attacks a round forever is just not the way to do it.

The first step is to start with something akin to Cleric or Bard.

1. If their resources are less limited, then their buffs should be made inferior to compensate.
2. If their resources are nonmagical and thus not susceptible to AMF, dispel, etc., then their buffs should be made inferior by comparison as well.
3. Thus, a warlord who goes all day and is not magical in nature, should be unambiguously the weak cousin to the bard and cleric.

A lot of warlord fans want to have their cake and eat it too, with a warlord who offers superior buffs to the buff guys AND is less limited per day AND who cannot be counterspelled, dispelled, or AMF'd.
>>
>>52025946
Playing the role card is most unwise since the 5e fighter is most definitely not a "defender."
>>
>>52025937
Ehhh, I admit to not having a lot of hands on experience so can admit I may be wrong, but Druid spell list seems more heal/utility than heal/buff.

>>52025955
Nah, I don't think people are asking the unreasonable. The *mechanics* for Bard song and Battlemaster tricks are sound, they need to be squished together with the Banneret, blended and turned into a Warlord.
>>
>>52025981
What exactly is buffish about other casters but not the druid?
Concentration buffs are... concentration buffs. They're good, every caster type gets them to some degree afaik, and you only get one.

The main two non-concentration buffs in the first four levels are Resist Poison and Freedom of Movement for the druid, and offhand I can't think of any nonconcentration buffs that stick out for other classes beyond those, either.

The druid is UNUSUALLY likely to be using a concentration buff, however, because of the fact that he's gonna want to turn into a beast and stay there for awhile rather than popping the generally stronger, aoe concentration debuffs.
>>
Quick question from someone new to this stuff
can you use spells with touch range on yourself?
>>
>>52025125
>Psionic resilience
Damn, that's pretty OP. Especially for a level 3 skill

I'm assuming it's capped at your int modifier?
>>
>>52025946
>roles
>5e
There is a defender fighting style, Paladin and Bard have some tank style magic, I guess, but on the whole you're still going to have to be careful about the enemy making a beeline for the dude in a bathrobe in the back.
>>
File: CreepyGod.jpg (98KB, 847x700px) Image search: [Google]
CreepyGod.jpg
98KB, 847x700px
Does hiding a small undead army in a portable hole sound feasible to you, /5eg/?
>>
File: pdxK6nA.jpg (43KB, 500x532px) Image search: [Google]
pdxK6nA.jpg
43KB, 500x532px
>>52026073
Yep.
But people will frown on touching yourself in the middle of a fight.
>>
>>52026089
thanks buddy
>>
>>52026086
if this army can fit in a 6 diameter, 10 foot deep hole, sure.
>>
>>52026120
A company of pixie skeletons?
>>
>>52026137
Can't animate dead fey.
>>
>>52026086
Another question, do you still retain control of undead creatures beyond dimensions?
>>
>>52026161
Well, nothing states otherwise. RAW, not even Concentration spells break as a result of inter-dimensional travel.
>>
>>52025972
The fighter is a striker with defender options. Maybe even a defender, as much as such a thing even exists. But he definitely works as the point guy you stack buffs on to great effect. That's a striker.
>>
>>52026035
I suppose you're right, I guess I just see Druids buff themselves and go beast-melee more than buff the group. The option is available though.
>>
Max fall damage is 188d6.
>>
Question:

A fiend lock can use the "hurl through hell" ability to send someone away for a turn, returning to the spot they came from, unless it is occupied, at the end of the warlocks next turn.

Could I use the HTH feature, then make a wall of fire on my next turn, and have the target start their turn on that spot?
>>
>>52025463
Literally just crossbow expert for an extra hand crossbow attack.

1d6+DEXMOD+Any other bonuses (Such as sharpshooter)

And, obviously, you don't have to ever switch away and you have a hand free if you can somehow find a way to load the crossbow with no hands. And even rogues have hand crossbow proficiency.

>>52026422
If it's possible to reasonably stand in the same spot (There isn't another creature, a box, etc) there and it's just a hazard, I don't see why not.
>>
>>52026422
Yes. They only get shunted into another space if there's a tile-filling corporeal object (another creature, even though they're tiny; a giant rock). Setting a bonfire where they were, dropping a moonbeam on the space, or throwing caltrops there is fine.
>>
>>52023207
Fighter for both of them, with Eldritch Knight for the elf.
>>
>>52026120
If you employed ossuary style packing, you could probably fit about 90 skeletons in that much space, with room left over for ~some~ weapons.
>>
I hope I'm not too late.
>>52026767
New thread. Page 11 edition.
>>52026767
Thread posts: 405
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.