[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

W.O.I.N

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: woin.jpg (239KB, 1255x538px) Image search: [Google]
woin.jpg
239KB, 1255x538px
Does anyone here know about W.O.I.N?

Worth giving a shot? Friend of mine wants to start a far-future campaign, we come from the land of D&D 5e.

Suggestions?

http://www.woinrpg.com/
>>
Admittedly I haven't heard of W.O.I.N. before, but if your only prior experience has been D&D 5e, I'd probably recommend going with a tried-and-true system over a relatively recent one.

For dedicated space sci-fi games, Traveller is the classic, pretty much the D&D of space rpgs in terms of popularity and age. The two editions to look at are Classic Traveller and Mongoose Traveller.
The core rules for Stars Without Number are free (or were, last time I checked), and the GM segments are worth reading even if you're playing a totally different system.
Star Frontiers is an old school space sf rpg that is now available freely online. While it's clunky from being an old, unupdated rpg, everything published for it is free and the fact that it's still around means it must have some staying power.
Star Trek and Star Wars have both had official and unofficial games based on them, if you want to do something based on them. Their threads (>>51942741 and >>51899084) would probably be happy to help.

For universal systems that can handle futuristic sci-fi games and even do fantasy cross-overs like the WOIN advertising is suggesting, GURPS and Fate can both do virtually anything. GURPS would best benefit from some of the sourcebooks, but space sf is definitely one of its strong suits, and it handles dungeon fantasy quite well. Diaspora, Bulldogs, Starblazer Adventures, and Mindjammer are all variations of Fate that are built around doing space science fiction out of the box, but given how customisable Fate is the free core rules would function on their own. The OpenD6 system is totally free, has free space sourcebooks, and has been used as the basis for an official Star Wars game and an unofficial Mass Effect game. I'm sure Savage Worlds and most other universal systems have some ability to handle this.

What are you looking for that made WOIN stand out to you?
>>
>>51976935
Wow, thanks for the details!

I'm not sure to be honest, like I said I wasn't the one to "discover" it. I'll definitely take a look into those systems you suggested! Thanks a ton!
>>
>>51977013
A few notes:
The official Star Wars RPGs, as far as I'm aware (WEG/d6, Saga/d20, and FFG), have been good enough that the systems are worth looking into even if you don't want to run Star Wars specifically. I've heard people talking about using some of them to run mecha games, for example. The FFG system does use some sort of fucked up proprietary dice, though. The official Star Trek games never really caught on as much, so I'm less sure of their quality, but if Star Trek is something you like, it would probably be worth asking the thread.

GURPS is a great system but can be hard to get into at first because of how complex it appears (keep in mind it's a system that basically makes it possible to run *any* sort of game at the same level as most dedicated systems), if you are interested by GURPS but get intimidated, try asking the GURPS general for help. Fate is comparatively light; it's supposed to use some fucked up proprietary dice, but there's ways to use regular d6 dice as a substitute without much trouble. Diaspora is hard/realistic sci-fi (it comes with a neat way to develop a custom setting for the group), Bulldogs is soft action-y (kind of Star Wars flavored), Starblazer Adventures is generic, and Mindjammer is a middle-of-the-road in terms of hardness (it has a really fleshed-out setting with a lot of transhumanism).

One unfortunate thing I will note is that in pretty much all space sf games, ship-to-ship combat winds up being a little less satisfying than people hope it would be. There's kind of an inherent issue where, in a starship, the ship functions as a single unit that everyone takes a part in. In ground combat, be it sci-fi or fantasy, each player acts as one unit and makes all the decisions for their character. In a starship each player is only going to be making a small slice of the decisions. It's not usually a huge issue and you can have fun starship battles, but you usually need to balance them with person-scale stuff.
>>
>>51976737
I too would like to KNOW MORE.

All I know is that it's the pet project of the owner of ENWorld, the big D&D news/discussion site.

Has anyone played the beta? Is it any good or YAURPS*?

>*YAURPS Yet Another Universal RolePlaying System
>>
File: vital likes.jpg (45KB, 685x379px) Image search: [Google]
vital likes.jpg
45KB, 685x379px
Nobody here knows shit about this?
>>
File: 1455570381428.png (212KB, 338x353px) Image search: [Google]
1455570381428.png
212KB, 338x353px
final bump
>>
I own a copy of N.E.W. which is the scifi rule set and the only rulebook out for W.O.I.N.

It's an interesting system that uses d6 pools that are derived from stats and skills typically. Rather than using a class based system you create your characters by choosing a number of careers that sum them up at start. Each choice covers a number of years so you have a starting age as well. There's anything from space marines to "Star Knights" which are pretty much Jedi with a more psionic flavor, but still laser swords.

I haven't had a chance to run it yet but it seems very interesting, I like the character customization as it really allows you to make what you want without being too convoluted. It's good for most Sci-Fi settings but it does lean heavily towards Space Opera's or really any that have plenty of action.
>>
File: 1488220679411.gif (1MB, 412x384px) Image search: [Google]
1488220679411.gif
1MB, 412x384px
>>51976737
>digital only
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.