[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 412
Thread images: 57

File: White Plume Mountain preview.jpg (514KB, 1536x1153px) Image search: [Google]
White Plume Mountain preview.jpg
514KB, 1536x1153px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - White Plume Mountain Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>51964009

Which adventure from Tales from the Yawning Portal are most excited for?
>>
>>51969730
I want to see if 5e's Tomb Of Horrors is still a character devouring hellhole. It better be.
>>
>>51969730
Whiteplume, Dead in Thay, and Meme of Horrors.
>>
>>51969765
Well it wouldn't be the Tomb if it weren't, would it?
>>
Dead in Thay and Sunless Citadel.
>>
>>51969788
Tell that to the 3.5 conversion.
>>
>>51969730
White Plume.

There's already a Next conversion for Tomb that looks pretty workable with the final 5e rules, but WPM has no official conversion yet.
>>
So why does Dragon+ have two sets of maps for Lyn Armaal in the last two issues but none for Svardborg?
>>
File: eliwood.png (13KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
eliwood.png
13KB, 250x391px
>>51969730
>tfw a player asked for me to run a "more lethal" game after this campaign concludes
>Tales is out soon
>>
File: free memes.jpg (106KB, 599x586px) Image search: [Google]
free memes.jpg
106KB, 599x586px
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
File: AHguF5Z.jpg (190KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
AHguF5Z.jpg
190KB, 760x596px
What's the best way to build this mighty warrior ?

Painting related
>>
>>51969765
>not just sending in goats/zombies/etc

Easily the most over hyped module of all time. Virtually impossible to clear it in any other way, yet doing so trivializes the entire thing. Pretty pathetic.
>>
>>51969905
Stout halfling fighter with rolled stats for 16 Str. "Quarterstaff" two handed.

Or monk.
>>
>>51969905
Unarmored druid with a single monk level for unarmored effectiveness, shillelagh. RP it as innate magic like favored soul.
>>
So I made a scourge Aasimar light cleric for AL, my goal is to be a beacon of radiant and fire hate

Fluff is he is a LN cultist of the Rising Sun Heresy looking to usher the rise of Amaunator from Lathander by scouring the earth of the unworthy and kindling the faith of the true believers

How can I max out my damage potential? I know I should take elemental adept (fire) after I max out my WIS, but should I look into anything else?

He's level 5 at the moment

Also looking for some character art like pic related
>>
>>51970033
Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians.
>>
>>51969919
Confirmed for never having read ToH.
>>
>>51970066
>point out obvious way to trivialize dungeon

"you never read it!"

ok

I have an ebin dungeon I've been working on, its called the Tunnel of Landmines, its should appeal to the same sort of deep exploration gameplay that can be found in the Tomb of Horrors.
>>
>>51970033
You are at the peak of your damage really, it takes a few levels to get to somewhere where you can do damage like that with a multiclass such as Dragon Sorcerer 6.

Just flare it up and get the elemental adept.
>>
>>51970105
No but seriously, "lol send in an army of chumps" is not going to trivialize ToH. They likely wouldn't find the proper way into the dungeon in the first place.
>>
>>51970105
I say you've never read it because your method of "trivializing" the dungeon doesn't actually work.
>>
>>51970105
sending animals in will locate the pits and do nothing else at all
sure as hell won't beat any monsters or solve any puzzles
>>
>>51970148
>and do nothing else at all

to this day I have never heard of anyone complaining about "well we went to the tomb of horrors, seemed pretty short and pointless," its always player character death or "now my paladin is chaotic evil"
>>
Whats the best way to make a bladesinger who can, and often does, wade into melee?
What are some must have spells?
>>
>>51969827
The 3.5 version sounds hellishly retarded (I'm guessing its actually 3.0).
>>
>>51970410
Haste Blur Blink Greater Invisibility
>>
>>51970410
Magic Jar
>>
File: ZbnV06m.jpg (27KB, 600x294px) Image search: [Google]
ZbnV06m.jpg
27KB, 600x294px
What's a good personality for a Long Death Monk?

At the moment I'm considering an extremely jovial guy who's always looking to get involved in local festivals and such, but in combat goes full Khornate spamming the 30 foot spook radius but I feel like that's a bit overdone and too "anime".
>>
>>51970451
mall goth
>>
>>51970410
Mirror Image is goat
>>
>>51970451
I played a monk that was banished from his monastery because his fascination with death lead him to killing another monk.

He was sarcastic and self centered but had a soft spot for people who entertained him.
>>
>>51970451
I'd have him be fixated not on the violent elements of death, that's just a memes to the end, but the philosophical elements. Skulls and death imagery in Christian imagery are about the idea that you should not be too proud, for one day you too must die.
>>
Need some advice for a new dm. Running a campaign with some of my friends but they're all new as well, the only experience they have with rpgs is playing skyrim. From that, they're treating the world like a video game: they steal from everyone, they try to kill, torture, or fight anyone who doesn't do what they want, they expect a reward from everyone and get mad if they don't get one, they try and push around every NPC because they think no one can stop them, and other things like that. What are some ways to prevent them from abusing the world or my newness as a dm?
>>
>>51970451
~le valar morghulis~
>>
>>51970635
The monk player should make it less obvious where he got it from and instead say The Valar, Morgoth.
>>
>>51970604
curb stomp them over and over again (have a couple of the people they are harassing turn out to be veterans)
>>
>>51970604
let them try that shit and then have consequences for it
if they're low level then guards and even a mob of commoners can genuinely threaten them
shopkeepers won't serve them, they won't get rooms, bounty hunters come for them eventually
>>
>>51970604
Let the dice kill them, and let the guards punish them.
If you're fucking around in a town, expect the 30+ able bodied men and women in the street to grab clubs, help each other grapple you (one roll each), push you to the floor, and beat you down with advantage.
For best results, non leathally knock them out, then strip them of all their gear and money, throw them in jail, and get them to roll a new character.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12438586

Last thread in which I'll post this but so far, consensus on the worst archetypes in the game seems to be:
>Lore Mastery, most hated by a country mile.
>Beast Master
>Four Elements
>Champion Fighter
>Wild Magic Sorcerer

No real surprises there, although I feel like the Loremaster hate is a bandwagon. It's poorly designed, but it's not Wild Magic levels of poor design.
>>
>>51970635
>>51970658
I actually had to google that since I'm avoiding Game of Thrones until the books are finished (so forever) since I don't like starting a series before it's done.

But it's a succinct summary of the philosophy, with the extra silver lining that an afterlife is a confirmed very real thing in d&d so people really do have no excuse to fear death.
>>
>>51969730
Why is Dead in Thay even in that collection? It's not iconic and it was released with Next.
>>
>>51970696
Lore Master is just plain overpowered. It's interesting, but it shouldn't be a wizard archetype it screams sorcerer. Split it up among Metamagic and the Wild Mage and it'd be great
>>
>>51970697
Which brings me the question, is suicide a sin in D&D?
If not, just worship a nice god of peace&love then sudoku for eternal afterlife in a cozy plane.
>>
>>51970707
Because this is an in-between release largely done by what amounts to the B-team of WotC (Perkins wasn't even involved the writing). Dead in Thay is a massive dungeon with pre-existing maps and much of the heavy lifting finished for them already.
>>
>>51970747
Trying to get one over on the gods isn't going to go down well. If you haven't paid the fee of worship, they probably won't let you in. (in FR, you'll get Wall of the Faithless'd)
>>
>>51970764
Yeah man, that's what I'm saying. Worship them, then after a while just kys. How much time of worshipping is enough?
>>
>>51970604
Well, in Skyrim, Hold Guards don't put up with that kinda shit, so I would instill some sort of martial force created in the wake of your characters acting like assholes. Make them a much higher level so your PCs are easily stomped, and promise that they'll be a looming threat. If you can't think of a creative force on your own, look up the Flaming Fist mercenaries.

Also, there's nothing wrong with running an evil PC campaign, however, the DM and players definitely need to agree and be on the same page about it.

Good luck. I'm about to finish up my first campaign as a DM, and it's definitely a learning experience. You'll figure it out.
>>
File: hidan.jpg (55KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
hidan.jpg
55KB, 600x315px
>>51970451
>>
>>51970747
The Wall is for false believers and the faithless.

Try to escape the Wall by paying lip-service to a good guy god and you'll just get Wall'd. It's like a Christian who prays for forgiveness on their deathbed after maybe going to church a couple of Sundays every decade. According to their faith, they're probably still going to Hell. In a similar fashion, some small measure of devotion is required if you want to escape being Wall'd.

The only way of avoiding the Wall other than having genuine faith is to sell your soul to the various fiends that visit the Fugue Plane. Then you get to spend the next millennium being twisted and tortured by devils until you're a lemure.
>>
>>51970696
Thing is, Wild Magic can still be fun, and for the whole party. Loremaster is fun for munchkins who want to be god-wizards and it straight up shits all over sorcerer, whose players are left to wonder why can't they do all that cool stuff with metamagic being their whole shtick, while wizards get all the best toys to play with.
>>
File: hanging_out_with_friends.jpg (104KB, 587x356px) Image search: [Google]
hanging_out_with_friends.jpg
104KB, 587x356px
>>51970604
They get v& by the local /pal/adin police, who show them the ropes, if you know what I mean.
>>
I just want one thread where no one talks about GWM or PAM.
>>
>>51970837
>Naruto
But even still my example stands- "Nice guy who's friendly and stuff but will murder the shit out of you" is common enough it probably has a fucking tvtropes page.

At least I assume that's what that guys personality is like, I don't know anything about them other than that they're from Naruto and have a retarded scythe.
>>
>>51970895
Then why'd you bring it up?
>>
>>51970914
He's a psychopath in a death cult that only wants to do ritual murder to his god and just says whatever pops into his mind, which is usually swear words. no sad flashbacks hell he didn't even get a flashback, which was why he was such a fucking breath of fresh air in that shit manga/animu.
>>
Playing a Berserker Human today.

Is 16, 14, 14, 8, 12, 10 a decent stat line? I've also got GWM and I can use STR for my fear ability thanks to my DM.
>>
>>51970975
>Naruto character that doesn't get a melodramatic tragic flashback
Color me surprised.
>>
>>51970886
An archetype that allows you to possibly cripple yourself and your party is 'fun for the whole party' only in a very specific sort of campaign.
>>
File: Hidan sums up Naruto.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hidan sums up Naruto.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>51971007
his buddy didn't either. just some money grubbing frankenstein ninja monster
>>
>>51970977
not bad
>>
File: darkedgebloodsword.jpg (268KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
darkedgebloodsword.jpg
268KB, 894x894px
>>51971010
Can you imagine if martials worked like Wild Sorcerers?

So, Grizwold the Mighty, what do you bring to our adventuring band?
>I know ancient and mystic sword techniques that will dazzle and confound our enemies.
How's that?
>Sometimes when I swing at the foe, I hit TWO of them at once.
Incredible, to be able to cleave through our foes li--
>That's not all. Sometimes when I swing, I float!
Truly, the eldritch secrets at work in your swordplay must b--
>Other times, I stab myself.
An astounding power li-- wait, you stab yourself? That's bad.
>There is also a slight chance I summon a demon.
U-under your control?
>No. It will savagely maul the faces of anyone nearby, usually starting with me.
That doesn't sound helpful.
>Occasionally I will swing at an enemy and stab two allies instead.
Uhh, okay, well, we'll give you a call.
>>
anyone here played kenku, or got any experience with kenku players?

kind of interested in how it plays out
>>
What player archetypes are best to play with in your team, and what are the most insufferable?

Though generic, I like being with the sword and board "lets go adventuring!" NG fighter. Helps keep the crew on track with what's important.

And I hate Chaotic stupid Warlocks and Rogues that try to pickpocket everyone
>>
>>51971099
Kenku Rogue in my party.
He has assassinated two quest-givers before we managed to talk to them but we also managed to patch them up so it was OK.
>>
>>51971125
that sounds... strange

is he that antagonistic constantly? and how does the speech work?
>>
>>51969955
Ghostwise Halfling Monk.
>>
>>51970697
>that an afterlife is a confirmed very real thing in d&d so people really do have no excuse to fear death.

Depends on the setting, but in the default jumbo setting with the Great Wheel etc., with a few exceptions, you suffer the loss of everything that made you a person, and in exchange, a ball of floating light of a screaming blob of molten flesh appears somewhere at some point. Not much comforting about that.

"You" (something without your memories, personality, or appearance) may appear on a plane some point, but it doesn't matter much.

There are only a few planes where you retain elements of your former existence (Hades & Elysium, iirc).

>>51970747
Nah. No stigma has ever been presented as being attached to suicide.
>>
>>51971121
I'm currently playing a former deputy with really bad survivor's guilt and a quest for justice/vengeance

It's quite a fun mindset to get into where the idea of losing another person horrifies you, and you're hesitant to take lives unnecessarily. To me it's great for having disagreements that give your party a bit of flavour without being stupid or over-the-top.
>>
>>51971192
Is Warrior's Rest the ultimate redplane?
>>
>>51970880
I have a better idea. Don't play in the shitty setting.
>>
>>51971152
It sounds bad but it's more like
>okay I am sneaking around this place I really shouldn't be full of badguys
>oh shit someone's coming
>lemme just hide behind this door
>oh shit someone's coming in
>run STAB.bat

He talks in complete sentences like a normal human being but sounds vaguely Squidward-ish and inserts short pauses between words, as far as the table voice goes. In-character it's a mishmash of random men and women saying each word (picked up from taverns, since he's Entertainer background) but it would be obnoxious to represent that all the time.

It's actually handy because the character is a fucking Walkman. We'll overhear some villain's nefarious plan and go back to confront some NPC about it in public, and when the guy claims he doesn't know what the fuck is going on, he basically presses PLAY on our recording of these guys planning their grimdarkmurderfest or whatever.
>>
>>51971248
There are a lot of things that make the Realms a shitty setting, but the Wall isn't one of them.
>>
>>51971248
I have a better idea, don't be a fucking fedora in a world where actual gods exist and interact with the world on a regular basis without expecting retribution.
>>
>>51971096
You know, images like that remind me of how I used to do play-by-post RPs on forums.

Thinking back, there's a vague comfort in that while I know I made some Mary-Sues, none were as bad as they could've been.

Though also thinking back, I think a lot of my characters were just playing up fetishes I now have today.

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>51971096
It's not so much stabbing yourself and summoning demons though. It's summoning flumphs and unicorns and sometimes fire explodes all around you.
>Doesn't that hurt?
You betcha!

Then there's the potted plant incident. You'll never live that down.
>>
>>51971248
Here's a better idea: don't listen to Wall-Anon constantly misrepresenting how the Wall works. >>51970880 is total bullshit. You have to lose faith in just about everything and denounce all the Gods to get Wall'd. Just being a non-believer isn't enough, nor is lying about your faith. Gods want souls, they're not just going to leave them lying around if they can help it. Someone will take your shit, and if they don't, the Planes themselves might.
>>
>>51971267
I guess that makes sense, and that's a pretty clever usage. I've just been considering making one as my backup, but then again I'm the only real tank on the team so I don't exactly have a lot of options when it comes to team role should my character die.
>>
>>51971229
Seems pretty dope.

I assume its inspired by Ysgard, and seems very close; or to D&D's portrayal thereof, which is itself pretty interesting -- as D&D-Ysgard combines some pretty unrelated elements of the Nordic mythology.

Specifically, it combines viking battle land, fire giant land, CN/CG drow land, elf land, gnome land, dorf land, and probably a few others all under one plane, and I assume they all benefit from the no-cost resurrection thing.

Its also where chainmail bikinis, and their much superior kin, chainmail anti-bikinis come from. Seems one of the better planes.
>>
>>51971297
Faith & Avatars:
>Those who firmly deny any faith or have only given lip service most of their lives and never truly believed are known as the Faithless after death. They are formed into a living wall around the City of Strife — Kelemvor, the new lord of the dead, may soon rename it — in the realm of the dead in the Gray Waste and left there until they dissolve. The unearthly greenish mold that holds the wall together eventually destroys them. The False, those who intentionally betrayed a faith they believed in and to which they made a personal commitment, are relegated to eternal punishment in the City of Strife after their case is ruled upon by Kelemvor in the Crystal Spire (Kelemvor's abode in the City of Strife).

Even in 5e:
>Souls that are unclaimed by the servants of the gods are judged by Kelemvor, who decides the fate of each one. Some are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust. The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself.

So if you're only moderately faithless, congratulations, you're wrangled into being one of Kelemvor's bitches for all eternity. That's totally better than being shoved in the Wall, right?
>>
>>51971274
Some interpretations say that a merchant who makes offerings to appease Umberlee, because they sail a boat, and worships Waukeen, because they're a merchant, is going to get walled because they're trying to serve two masters. That is some fucking bullshit, as >>51971297 said.
>>
>>51971035
wait didn't jewninja go money grubber because he was betrayed by his village despite a life time of loyal service? Like he was so loyal he tried to fight the first Hokage at his prime.
>>
>>51971292
>the potted plant incident
This led to a party wipe
He has yet to live it down.
>>
>>51971384
>That's totally better than being shoved in the Wall, right?

Well yeah, would much rather get talk to ghosts for eternity than be a brick in a wall for eternity.
>>
>>51971384
>never truly believed
This doesn't apply just to deities. Planes themselves claim and reincarnate souls. It's how you wind up with new angelic creatures, elementals, slaad, etc., without their being strictly under the dominion of a deity there (though they are generally subject to that).

Like >>51971274 said, the Gods are all over the place and actively doing shit. You can think that a couple of them are tossers, but that's your problem. They are bound by laws beyond your shitty mortal comprehension.
>>
>>51970754
Then why didn't they include more of an iconic dungeon for us? Surely many more fit the bill rather than DiT, even if DiT means they don't even need to do work at all.

Is the main site down for anyone else?
>>
>>51971388
Yeah, one of the dumber elements of FR is all the idiotic laypeople committing spiritual suicide by making offerings to whichever deity is convenient... despite the fact that 99% of people who actually get divine miracles are strict adherents to just one deity.
>>
Why would you ever use a dart or sling over a Shortbow?
>>
>>51971484
>Planes themselves claim and reincarnate souls. It's how you wind up with new angelic creatures, elementals, slaad, etc., without their being strictly under the dominion of a deity there

FR cosmology is a little different. There's no implication of this happening in FR. There's also no implication of slaad and elementals, or modrons, having once been people.
>>
>>51971560
>Dart
Actually one handed.
>Sling
Does blunt damage.

Who cares about these differences? Fuck if I know.
>>
>>51970033
Muh fellow Amaunabro.

Brotherhood of the Glorious Sun AL character reporting.
>>
>>51970451
This is the best reply you got >>51970542
>>
>>51971562
Not all of them were, especially in those cases of planar entities that existed before mortals in the prime material (or planar entities that were created later, like slaad). It's a difficult case to make in situations like elementals, since how do you serve, say, the Plane of Fire without being devoted to a fire deity or having enough crossover that one of them will claim you? But there are people who exemplify "lawful good" enough without any great piety that go poof and come back as a something-archon.

The idea that demons/devils barter for souls from the Fugue plane comes from a book and was derived from this happening.
>>
>>51971384
>one of kelemvor's bittches for all eternity
He's honestly the best god in the setting anyway, there are far worse fates than that.
>>
>>51971560
Before the errata, you could use a sling with a shield if you could argue it.

You can use a dart with a shield, I think?
>>
>>51971725
That's not how you spell Lathander.
>>
>>51971692
Yeah that's what I was going to do anyways but a character's philosophy isn't necessarily related to their personality.
>>
>>51971709
>The idea that demons/devils barter for souls from the Fugue plane

Yeah, that's its own thing. I don't know of any instances of the Inner Planes being Outer Planes. Slaadi, likewise, seem to be their own thing completely, I don't know of any instances of them having been perfected souls of chaos people, though presumably a more normal Limbo petitioner, whatever that may be, could be turned into a slaad in the normal sense.
>>
>>51971736
Lathander never got in trouble for being so cool that all the other gods started losing worshippers and threatened to yell dad on him.
>>
>>51971766
>a more normal Limbo petitioner, whatever that may be, could be turned into a slaad in the normal sense
That's exactly how it happens.

Any time a creature is born, be it a mortal in the Prime or a Slaad popping out of the chaosexual orgy surrounding their weird-ass Spawning Stones, a soul needs to get shoved into that. The Planes needs souls to facilitate the creation of those entities. In the case of Modrons, Primus presumably has some means of snagging souls from elsewhere (or is just really good at recycling the ones he has, because their population tends to be steady).
>>
>>51971774
Nah, Kelemvor is a retard compared to the others, and he got rewarded with deityhood because the others felt bad for his stupidity.
>>
>>51971725
Meh, Diet Evil teehee-randumb gods are way overdone.
>>
>>51970347
It was written to be a convention game where people would run characters through a meatgrinder like it was a carnival funhouse. It's a shits-and-giggles one-shot that you plug characters into after getting them real stronk by the end of a normal campaign. It's the closest thing to a 'new game plus' Boss Rush you'll probably find in an RPG.
Getting preoccupied on using cheese strats to 'beat' it is like saying the solution to a hedge maze is bringing a chainsaw and cutting through the shrubbery. Sure, it gets you there, but it's against the spirit of the exercise and everyone will think you're kind of an asshole.
>>
Is there any worthwhile Monk multiclasses besides the Rogue/Shadow meme build I see posted here?

What about Fightman 2/Monk for fighting style and Action Surge?

Or is it pretty much a waste because everything half decent for Monk isn't until level 10+?
>>
Guys I have armor that compels me to kill all ally's.

But it specifies that ally's are those who trusts me.

Only one player in my group is an ally so I must kill him but I decide when and where.

I'm an arcane trickster level 6, but he's a dragonborn ranger with a snake companion who's level 7.

How do I go about killing him?
>>
>>51971867
Monk/Arcana Cleric with Magic Initiate for Shillelagh. Wisdom incarnate.
>>
>>51971800

>a soul needs to get shoved into that.

Yeah, but they mostly come from the Positive Energy Plane. Red slaadi larvae don't even consume your soul, you can be resurrected an indefinite number of times.
>>
>>51971879
stab him until he dies, you fucking idiot
how do you kill anyone else?
>>
>>51971879
>But it specifies that ally's are those who trusts me.
Cryptically the party about it and none of them will trust you.
>>
>>51971867
No fighting styles apply to unarmed combat (none), so IDK if that's the best option. Just take 2-3 levels of warlock like all the other munchkins.
>>
File: fireswordguy3.png (1MB, 766x938px) Image search: [Google]
fireswordguy3.png
1MB, 766x938px
>>51970033
>>51971736
>>51971647
Now hold the fuck up, gents. Someone has to disabuse you of some foolish notions about the Sun and the Gods before you die on some pointless crusade and wind up in the afterlife with nothing to show for it.

First, Lathander is a fucking twat. He's not a Sun God, he's a Fuck-Up God. Never forget that time he ran off on his own crusade of "setting everything right" and trying to be hyper-active in combating evil because he thought everyone else was slacking off. You remember what happened? Yeah, he killed Murdane, pissed the fuck out of Helm, and got a whole bunch of good shit blown up. The rest of the Gods had to put him in the naughty corner after that.

Amaunator, though, is a cool dude. But he's not the Sun God, either. There is no Sun God, and it doesn't matter how much anyone wants to worship one because he ain't gonna spontaneously coalesce out of the force of collective belief.

That's because there is no Sun. It does not exist as its own distinct entity, nor is there a godly personification to go along with it. Remember that time Dendar ate it? Yeah, we made another one, and no Sun God was dying or being (re)born to make that happen. We can do that shit because...

The Sun is a portal to the fucking Plane of Fire. That's it.
Praise Kossuth, Tyrant, Firelord, the Light and the Life of All Things. Give yourselves over to Him completely and let Him enkindle in you the serenity of knowing your true purpose. Follow His plan and be reborn into the ideal being you were always fated to be. Through Kossuth's fiery embrace, all your faults, failings, and impurities shall be burned away, and the raw stuff of your Self shall be reforged into the pure quintessence that is You, and the cosmos will be moved one step closer to sublime perfection.
>>
>>51971851
>It was written to be a convention game

it was written to challenge one of Gary's players who gimmicked his way through dungeons and he gimmicked his way through the ToH as well

>Getting preoccupied on using cheese strats to 'beat' it is like saying the solution to a hedge maze is bringing a chainsaw and cutting through the shrubbery.

No, that's 100% in the spirit of which ToH was made.

>and everyone will think you're kind of an asshole.

Well, their characters will be dead, so what do I care?
>>
File: amaunator.jpg (96KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
amaunator.jpg
96KB, 600x610px
>>51971938
Shut up and prostrate yourself before the God of All Time, you flaming homo.
>>
>>51971939
This is why WPM is the superior module. You don't need a party of me's and a backpack of ten foot poles to beat it.
>>
>>51971916
Close Quarters Shooter for shortbow point blank sharpshooter memes comes to mind, Mariner as well for general use.

Other than that I don't have any ideas.
>>
>>51971975
part of the appeal imo desu senpai
WPM is just a dungeon full of un-themed nonsense, ToH at least has a souls-esque "prepare to die" hook
>>
File: fireswordguy2.png (2MB, 891x1087px) Image search: [Google]
fireswordguy2.png
2MB, 891x1087px
>>51971972
You just let me know where I can find his dumb dead ass, you semantic clownshoe.
>>
File: josefuumi.jpg (29KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
josefuumi.jpg
29KB, 240x240px
>>51970451
i'm playing one that's just your average monk that also feasts on souls

when i use hour of reaping, my dm has whatever we're fighting, if it's sapient, lead it up with an insult about his hair
>>
>>51971975
jokes on you, if you use a 10' pole instead of sheep you will probably die in the first room in the real tomb

serves you right for trying
>>
>>51971010
>>51971096
There is some strategy to playing a wild sorcerer. You want fire resistance (in the 2% chance fireball happens), so tiefling is a good race option. You want to stay about 25ft away from most party members to avoid doing bad stuff to them, and if possible, have one or two foes a little close to you. Not a lot of the Wild Surges are outright bad. Sure, some of them are really bad, but that's only 6 or so out of 50.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 847x1059px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 847x1059px
Not particularly 5e related other than I happen to be running it, but also not worth its own thread:

>DMing a group that's gotten stuck in a dungeon packed with fairy bullshit
>Most inhabitants are fairly unhelpful children who have been lured in
>Party finally approaches what is basically the only person who works directly with the master of this place
>Planned fight doesn't quite break out, but they do pretty much state they're going to fuck things up
>Group decides to short rest before comitting to anything further
>Main antagonist now has prep time, and backup
>End session on cliffhanger to prepare

Do I just possibly wipe them by tossing two of the larger encounters together at once?
>>
>>51972118
Sounds like your main antagonist has an hour to diddle the little children he lured in like the homo fey twit that he is.
>>
>>51972011
>>51971972
Get a room you too. Mystra is the best anyway.
>>
>>51971912
But he can hardly speak common and I don't speak draconic so it will probably be much harder than just killing him?
>>
>>51972163
>Mystra
Is this the second one after the other bitch died, the third one who used to be mortal, or are we up to four now?
>>
So is the Dragonborn Breath Weapon actually useful for anything or is it just more of a slapped-on "oh yeah they're dragons I guess" thing?

Does it need "fixed"?
>>
LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DEITIES:
>Kossuth
>Chauntea
>Selune
>any water-based deity (Umberlee, Istishia, Eldatch, etc.) so Kossuthbros have someone to kill
>>
>>51972205
Oh, and Helm. He's okay.
>>
>>51972163
At least Kossuth has style, you weavefags are the fucking worst.

>>51972205
Reak takj, you add Amaunator to that list and it's a pretty solid list you've got there. Chauntea's underrated as fuck.
>>
>>51972000
Eh, I wouldn't say Tomb of Horrors isn't exactly thematic of anything other than zaniness.
>>
>>51972217
Amaunator can join because that dude is down with the Law something fierce. Very respectable, dedicated, knows how to keep the trains running.
>>
>>51971938
You seem upset, you flaming twat.
>>
File: firestaffbitch.png (942KB, 564x689px) Image search: [Google]
firestaffbitch.png
942KB, 564x689px
>>51972234
I'm impassioned, and THIS is a flaming twat.
>>
>>51972186
The cones seem alright to me but I don't feel like the line ones will get as many chances to hit multiple creatures.
>>
I dunno what the hell all this god talks about but nobody's said Deneir's the best so I'm rather upset.
>>
>>51972217
Mystra is simply the best deity. She does die all the fucking time, and get replaced by a completely different person, and her creepy ass followers seem to ignore this and just call this completely new, random person, "Mystra" and pretend it never happened, and Elminister goes back to fucking her.
>>
>>51972186
RAW? Not really. Personally I'd like for them to be able to have cantrip-like effects with their breath. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to have a black-scaled dragonborn to drip acid from his mouth and burn away ropes or something.
>>
>>51972217
>Reek takj
Real talk, jesus.
>>
File: 1363659556886.gif (2MB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
1363659556886.gif
2MB, 320x179px
Group just finished "babby's first campaign" I was our only healer as a cleric optimized for it. Felt like most of what I did was stay out of the way, drop huge heals, miss things, and get targeted down by smarter enemies (spent a whole big fight rolling death saves and getting potions poured down my face). I felt mostly useless while the ranger (new rules that make them better?) and everyone else was just doing work.
Now thinking about switching out to a druid made to shape shift as much as I can.
>Can a group work without any real set healer (i know druids have a few and the ranger has like one) or am I letting them down?
>If I do go druid, I'm wondering how I can sort of write in / justify say going in to a bandit den to save some random townsfolk? I sort of got the feeling from what I read that druids don't really care about people or human laws.
>>
>>51972246
That's actually pretty sexy.
>>
>>51972246
She was visited by Lathander. He's still smoking.
>>
File: Capture.png (336KB, 408x278px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
336KB, 408x278px
>>51972246
>>
>>51972186
5e has a big emphasis on casters finding it very tiresome to deal with things with big durability, and martials finding it very tiresome to deal with hordes of the things, so despite how disgustingly weak it is, it does serve a decent purpose.

But its mostly about that nice resistance.
>>
>>51972186
It's got loads of use during low levels and if you're a martial that lacks any sort of area-based attacks, it could be handy if you're facing swarms of weaker creatures at a higher level.
>>
>>51972252
Deneir's legit. Oghma's okay, too. Azuth is a faggot though.
Gond would be all right if not for all the gnomes and wacky shit that comes with that. That's not really a problem with him, though, just his followers.
Ilmater would be okay if he weren't an uppity bitch trying to jack Kossuth's Good-aligned schtick so fuck him.
Waukeen, maybe, if she sticks to just finding lots of cash and gems for Papa Firelord.

Everything else can pretty much get fucked. I mean, okay, bring along some evil guys like Besheba just so we have something more to kill, but we don't really need Song God or Laughter God or Sexy God or any of that crap unless we're just gona be laughing and singing and fucking about how rad Kossuth is.
>>
>>51972267
At the end of the day a GM should be tailoring the encounters to a level of difficulty that everyone enjoys so party composition shouldn't matter too much beyond making sure players aren't going to be stepping on each other's toes too much.

For the second part there is nothing that says a druid can't care about peoples lives. Roleplay a character, not a class.
>>
>>51972205
Eilistraee is alright if you need to travel the Underdark silently.
>>
Kossuth is objectively the worst god.
Lathander literally shits on him and everyone else.
>>
>>51972358
Racial deities are a whole 'nother bag.
When the Flame Most Incandescent gets to Faerun in earnest, though, it's gonna be called the fucking Underbright, so Elly's gonna be out of a job.
>>
>>51972264
Too late, Reak Takj is now a new deity.
>>
>>51972393
>tfw I needed a vaguely Indian (dot, not feather) name for an island for my map
So do I make the Gnomes the Indians and the Halflings the Mongolian Steppe-people, or vice versa?
>>
>>51972393
desu its a pretty good name for something like a lizardman or someone from a desert region.

Maybe I'll use it for a PC name.
>>
>>51972393
A deity of what
>>
>>51972346
>so party composition shouldn't matter too much

Bullshit. The DM is not even 1% required to tone down, say, the Spider Factory because the party doesn't have clerics. The PCs assemble a toolkit, and one of the pleasures of D&D is getting to see how well that toolkit handles things.
>>
>>51972427
Reak Takj, the Forthright, Dispeller of Lies, Bringer of Truth, Dropper of Bombs
>>
What's a good background song for the inside of an insane person's mind?
>>
>>51972444
Oh that's good.
>>51972427
I was going to say god of lists and acceptability/acceptance.
>>
>>51972468
Assuming you're not looking for LEL SO WACKY-insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM
>>
>>51972468
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_b5BrtRMD4
>>
Allright, some calculations for Ragecasters:

1d6 = 83% Thunderwave, 50% Burning Hands
2d6 = 100% Thunderwave, 83% Burning Hands, 58% Moonbeam, 16% Scorching Ray, 8% Shatter
3d6 = 100% Thunderwave, 98% Burning Hands, 90% Moonbeam, 62% Scorching Ray, 50% Shatter, 25% Lightning Bolt, 9% Fireball, 4% Ice Storm, 1% Wall of Fire, 0,5% Blight
4d6 = 66% Lightning Bolt, 44% Fireball, 33% Ice Storm, 23% Wall of Fire, 16% Blight, 5% Cone of Cold

That's for the most part, after that it becomes kind of irrelevant, because the chances doesn't matter when you just kind of burst everything out.

Compared to the Storm Barb...
Sea Herald can make 2d6 damage against save every turn against a single creature, not even as a bonus action, just automatically.
Others just dish 2-7 damage per turn to everyone in 10ft area. Stormbarian is very much about sustained damage, while Ragecaster is obviously a burst caster who can dish out damage when it's most needed.

Probably a little weaker than the Stormbarian, to be honest, but by no means bad IMO. Even only having 20 spells, a smart player can do things and take risks for pretty nifty damage, and even, utility.

Ragecasters CAN cast Jump, Haste and Fly, along with Entangle and even Grasping Vine. Also, their Spell saves close in on ridiculous because it's tied to Con and they get +7 to Con at 20, so a dedicated Ragecaster can be REALLY formidable.
>>
>>51972346
I was sort of hoping to try out something shy of good. The whole party has some variation of "I protect the weak" on their character sheet.

Could anyone give an example of something they've done to gain inspiration? Our dm has been doing it a bit differently for us, so I'd like to see what others have been rewarded for.
>>
>>51972468
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-mEIhvKOI
>>
>>51972468
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfKrjZWG09c
>>
>>51972493
And if you are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dY6aCUe9Y
>>
File: psychojump.gif (404KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
psychojump.gif
404KB, 500x305px
>>51972468
>>51972564
Naw,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZjZWnbuus
>>
>>51971938
Oh, hey kossuthfag. Haven't seen you in a few months. Still upset at the fact that Kossuth isn't even a real god, just a greater primordial elemental?
>>
>>51972570
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE
>>
File: tempus.jpg (51KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
tempus.jpg
51KB, 400x362px
Best God passing through this thread, mortals.
If you disagree, feel free to 1v1 me, scrub. We'll see right quick who's the mightiest.
Protip: can't win battles against the lord of battles
>>
>>51972468
There was a whole game for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MhlrKheSC0
>>
>>51972589
>predating Gods
>all the power of a God and more
>none of the having to deal with most of Ao's shit
>assuredly post-dating them, too
Nothing to be upset about, friend.
>>
File: firenoswordguy.png (2MB, 705x878px) Image search: [Google]
firenoswordguy.png
2MB, 705x878px
>>51972598
This ain't a battle, it's a slaughter.
>>
>>51972205
LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DEITIES:
>the ones you make for your own campaign
>>
>>51972610
>>51972638
You're so autistic. Kossuth is nothing compared to the others.
>>
>>51972598
>Best God
>Anything other than Zarus
>>
>>51972468
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcGpqxNsrkw&index=2&list=PLObEmX66uXg8Cat2jZlpeK1GDN5BPNylp
>>
File: tempus_symbol.jpg (60KB, 400x620px) Image search: [Google]
tempus_symbol.jpg
60KB, 400x620px
>>51972638
Are you sure you're up for this, hottie?
You look like you burn out quickly.
>>
>>51972659
>Realms conversation
>Greyhawk god
>>
>>51972672
>has fire in the symbol
What is a warrior without a fire in his heart? No passion, no flames of battle, no heat of the conflict, no nothing.

You need Kossuth. He's already won.
>>
>>51972688
HIS DIVINITY TRANSCENDS THE SPHERES
>>
>>51972692
It's not literal fire, you autist.
>>
>>51972598
Holy FUCK FR has a lot of war gods.
>>
>>51972468
https://youtu.be/GCtQmwJ1WAY?t=13
>>
>>51971938
Aaaaaaand this is why I hate playing in Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>51972727
Because you get literal autists trying desperately to shill their "deity"?
>>
>>51972722
Really just the two. Tempus killed all the other ones but he leaves Garagos alive because if he killed him, Tempus would be obligated to absorb his pantheon (one-on-one savage combat shit) and Tempus ain't down with that. He just likes big, grand conflicts with honor and rules and shit, not anything-goes skirmishing fuckfests and "murder, but you know it's coming".
>>
File: Flan_de_huevo_1.jpg (150KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Flan_de_huevo_1.jpg
150KB, 1600x900px
All this deity talk made me look up the PHB and look what I just found
>Pelor is the Flan god of the sun
>>
File: what a great question.jpg (196KB, 620x791px) Image search: [Google]
what a great question.jpg
196KB, 620x791px
>>51971938
>That's because there is no Sun. It does not exist as its own distinct entity, nor is there a godly personification to go along with it. Remember that time Dendar ate it? Yeah, we made another one

WHAT THE HELL

that's also very Spelljammery
>>
>>51972519
As a GM I honestly had forgotten that inspiration is a thing and have not given it out in about the last 6 or so sessions. The other guy in a our group who GMs sometimes is much the same only I would occasionally say "come on, that had to worth inspiration right?" and he would usually say yes.
>>
>>51972774
>>51972519
>if you take your turn in under 30 seconds, you get 1/5th of an inspiration
>>
>>51972767
different setting
>>
>>51972433
Yeah so that is the level of difficulty your group enjoys, like I said.
>>
>>51972773
A lot of Forgotten Realms is very Spelljammery when you go back far enough.

Almost every race was summoned on to Toril from another plane by another race.
>>
>>51972773
One of the backstories for FR is literally
>shit was nothing
>then there was something
>then the something was two bitches
>also a planet
>the planet was sad because all the stuff on it was frozen to death
>one of the bitches reached tore a hole into the plane of fire so the planet would be warm
>the other bitch got super mad and decided to be a megabitch for all eternity
>bitch and megabitch fought and made magic, the ultimabitch
>a snake ate the portal to the fire plane because it didn't understand what "cold-blooded" meant
>so the bitch popped open another hole to the fire plane
>the snake may or may not have eaten it again because Turok, Dinosaur Hunter was sleeping on the job
Honestly, we may be on Sun #4 at this point.
>>
>>51972433
>Spider Factory

Tell me more.
>>
>>51972757
Partly. But also because the gods are so fucking over-active and the lore so cluttered it's hard to make a character that logically can't work with anyone familiar with the setting.
I once wanted to do a viking-ish war cleric and picked Tyr because he's lifted from the norse pantheon.... Only to be told I could not because Tyr is dead in canon.
>>
>>51972692
You limit yourself, firepants.
A warrior needs a fiery heart but a cool head. He needs to stand like a rock, but move like the wind when necessary. Transcend your limits, embrace battle.

>>51972722
Nah m8 it's always "god of something and war"
The pure War God is Tempus. Join your local War Church's training, we're very novice-friendly.

>>51972762
Yeah, Garagos is KEKED beyond belief.
Poor cuckie is literally autistic screeching level.
>>
>>51971494
"Iconic" doesn't always mean "good," would you seriously want them to adapt The Forest Oracle?
>>
>>51972762
ignoring the very expansive definition of "war" that 5e uses, at a minimum there's The Red Knight
>>
>>51972762
There's also Valkur, the Red Knight, Uthgar, Hoar, Anhur, among others.
>>
>>51972814
Naw, most races were magical-genetically engineered by another race, or were selectively bred and uplifted.

The only race that's really still around in its current form from the dawn of the world is humans, but they didn't create other races until the other four big races (Bird People, Frog People, Fairy People, and Snake People) had all pretty much fucked off.

Elves? Descendents of Fairy People who got too mortal after being out of their Fey planes too long.

Current bird-races? Genetic offshoots of the originals who lost all of their super smarts and magic because they bit off more than they could chew. BUT, they made dragons and wyverns and wyrms before they got dumb, so there's that.

Orcs? Summoned from another planet by humans.

Egyptians? Summoned from another planet by humans.

Dwarves? Either summoned from another planet by who knows, or travelled from one by themselves.
>>
File: 1361696762979.jpg (265KB, 845x1363px) Image search: [Google]
1361696762979.jpg
265KB, 845x1363px
So lizardfolk are a playable race now, they any gud?
>>
File: meme captcha.png (60KB, 332x322px) Image search: [Google]
meme captcha.png
60KB, 332x322px
>>51972608
That's p gud, and all the other anon's suggestions are also fitting, but I've decided on one leaning much more on the "ominous" side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGmZN06lBI

>Captcha- Normie School

NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEE
>>
>>51972867
But The Red Knight is subservient to Tempus, her domain is strategy stuff. It's basically his general.
>>
>>51972831
GMs shouldn't find themselves constricted by canon.

>>51972850
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>51972829
The Spider Factory is a place where people and livestock are herded in to be pumped full of arachno-aberration venom that is infused with eggs and then wrapped up in webs so they can't hurt themselves while they incubate. Some unusually nice drider nurses go around reading to people and care for them and keep them company as they wait to be eaten from the inside out by spiders, bringing them get well soon cards, congratulate them on the fact that they will soon be mommies, etc.

When its time for the miracle of childbirth, they very carefully separate the spiderlings so they won't eat each other, and sent off with some bug snacks in carefully padded crates with manuals for spider kits, to stock dungeons, catch fliers, etc.
>>
>>51972875
I know about the snek fuckers, but what were the fairy, frog and bird people?
>>
>>51972886
Well as with most things in 5e the answer is not notably bad but not notably good.
>>
If you guys want to discuss FR so much, someone should start a FR General.
>>
>>51971879
You find a new DM that doesn't give out bullshit cursed items.

>>51972868
The Red Knight is a top-tier goddess for true gentlemen strategists.
>>
>>51972868
>Valkur
Just Tempus' admiral
>Red Knight
Just Tempus' general
>Uthgar
Another subservient to Tempus
>Hoar
Bane's cuckie. His sphere is retribution and vengeance, not war proper
>Anhur
Shit nigga, it's another pantheon already. And he's a lesser god anyway, so he would get the worst against mighty Tempus
>>
>>51973018
Fairy People were literally just the Fey. They bust in from the Feywild and made pixies and sprites and other Fey-shit, and eventually some of 'em went Elfy.

Frog people were the batrachti. They were Big Bads and palled around with demons all the time. They made bullywugs, kuo-tua, kaparl / locathah, slaad, and other waterborne races, as well as dopplegangers and a number of demonically-infused pieces of shit.

Bird People were the aearee and made aarakocra and kenku, who also went on to made a bunch of dragon-things (using existing, not-smart, not-magic dragons as breeding stock) as weapons of war against each other, gnolls, giants, and basically everything else. They got buttfucked by curses for being such shitheads like the batrachti / Frog People.
>>
I kinda want to make a Champion for a "kill things" character.

Is there a "best" way to make one or is it pretty much like any other martial (PAM GWM)?
>>
>>51973089
Oh, and tengu are just kenku who got out in-between curses.
>>
File: 1312405229.pbjam_kutku.jpg (184KB, 711x717px) Image search: [Google]
1312405229.pbjam_kutku.jpg
184KB, 711x717px
>>51973037
nice
>>
>>51973100
Don't forget to be a half-orc.
>>
>>51972875
Also, I guess giants were OGs but the earliest they get mentioned is "fought a buncha bird people and dragons".
>>
>>51973089
Pretty neat.
>>
>>51973089
Stop talking about it, y'all
It's supposed to be the Forgotten Realms.
>>
Does water whip count as a spell? Can I at level 5 burn all 5 of my Ki on it?
>>
>>51973247
Reak takj, an FR campaign where you discover all the tens-of-thousands-of-years-old secrets that no one knows about would be pretty cool.
>roll in a Dwarfhold
>give them literal fucking proof they're all from another planet
>blow minds
>tell 'em to ask Moradin why he's been keeping the lid on that shit
>>
File: オイゲン.png (92KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
オイゲン.png
92KB, 960x800px
What do you guys think of the UA Artificer?

I might make one but the tiny spell list and seemingly lack of versatility turns me off a bit.
>>
So are there any particularly effective Rube Goldberg ways of making a bunch of slaad and getting them to touch the Spawning Stone, and getting their control gems?

They seem crazy useful minions. I guess you could just Arcane Gate & Dominate them into touching the Spawning Stone quickly before a bunch of other Slaadi pour out.

Also are there any places where it discusses what becomes of people turned into slaad (Rather than just killed by a frog xenomorph baby)?
>>
>>51973303
Well, its a 4/9 caster class whose main schtick is cantrip tier damage.

Don't know what they're for
>>
>>51970747
Depends on setting but since most churches in d&d are pseudo catholic I'd say probably
>>
What happens if you introduce action points into 5e?
>>
>>51973336
Fighter becomes less special.
>>
>>51971939
>it was written to challenge one of Gary's players
That's part of why it was conceived. That's not why they actually produced a thing you can buy and then premiered it as a con game scenario that is by design divorced from any degree long-form plot. Nor is it why anybody enjoyed it.

>No, that's 100% in the spirit of which ToH was made.
It was meant to challenge strong player characters, not cheese that has nothing to do with player characters.

>Well, their characters will be dead, so what do I care?
I'm beginning to get the impression you don't have a lot of friends.
>>
Is Curse of Strahd as railroady as it seems?
>>
>>51969765
> Not playing Revenant Zealot Barbarian and go full Demon's Soul / Dark Soul mode.
>>
>>51973354
>It was meant to challenge strong player characters,

Not at all, the point is to kill off people's player characters they've probably worked quite a bit on until someone figures out "Oh. Ohhh. this is punishment for not sending zombie orcs." And sends in the zombie orcs.

>not cheese that has nothing to do with player characters.

Wrong. How could you miss the point this badly?

Very little in the dungeon interacts with level based PC capabilities at all, other than sometimes allowing a save.

>I'm beginning to get the impression you don't have a lot of friends.

Lel you're socially awkward for... knowing that you're supposed to use brute force methods to solve the meme tomb? What?

its not a module conductive to making or heightening friendships in any case, but any sort of cunt that is mad that I don't... what? Purposefully kill my character out of stupidity? isn't likely to be anyone's friend.
>>
>>51973404
It has enough branching paths and no real time limit on things so it's not too railroady, actually.
>>
>>51973404
What makes you think it's railroady?
>>
So, how bad a DM am I for houseruling cantrips into being only usable Casting Mod times per rest (each cantrip, individually)? I don't really like the idea of always on free magic; I would honestly be tempted to readjust cantrips to remove most attack cantrips anyway.
>>
File: Lancho01.jpg (41KB, 300x446px) Image search: [Google]
Lancho01.jpg
41KB, 300x446px
So I'm about to play 5E for the first time. I haven't played dnd in years.

I want to run a paladin, and my wife brought up an interesting idea when looking at classes in 5E. Paladins rely on Charisma, and so do Vampires.

Is hybridizing a paladin and vampire possible? I would love to run a human vampaladin, who began as a vampire hunter and in an unlucky turn became one himself. Loathe to his fate, he continued to walk the path of rightiousness, vowing vengeance against all of his kind. He would be chaotic good, and do his best to keep his condition under wraps.

Is this too stupid or would such a thing work?
>>
>>51972943
>What the fuck is that?
Prolific pottery.
>>
>>51973325
U T I L I T Y
Free magic items, a bunch of utility spells, cheesing the concentration limit, and either decent damage or battlefield control and healing.

In a party with Artificer and he's SMVP.
>>
>>51973564
very bad both thematically and mechanically. Just go back to 3.pf if you want a crossbow mage.
>>
>>51973511
Mostly the whole cut off into another plane that you can't leave no matter what thing.

And the whole "you probably will die to Strahd if you don't collect all the maguffins." left me a let eh
>>
>>51973404
It's only railroady in the sense that it expects the players to do X, Y, and/or Z to advance the plot here, and if your party deviates from that the whole thing blows up into a spectacular mess or you need to bullshit something to steer them back on course. If you're not ready to do some imagination shit on your own, it's easy to run into a ditch.
>>
>>51973564
Pretty bad. 5e has more limited spell slots compared to 3.PF, which makes casters rely on cantrips to have something to do at low-mid levels.
If you're okay with casters lagging behind until later levels, just play 2e. I'm not even kidding.

>>51973574
As a character it's interesting, but it's not super workable within the existing character rules. Plus, you'd still have to feed somehow.
>>
>>51973574
There is no way a PC can become vampire in 5e. Unless you want to be zendikar vampire which isn't really a vampire.
>>
>>51973574
You can find a vampire, hope it turns you and hope it releases you from service.

>Is this too stupid

Ask your DM. The bad news is that vampires are Lawful Evil, which is the opposite of Chaotic Good. The good news is that Lawful Evil and Chaotic Good aren't contradictory in terms of behavior, as both are described as "do whatever you feel like so long as your code or conscience is okay with it."
>>
>>51973574
This is retarded. Also PCs can't be vampires. Your character is retired.
>>
>>51973634

>There is no way a PC can become vampire in 5e.

Its in the MM under "vampire"
>>
> Another campaign end at level 7 because the DM doesn't feel like it

That's like the third time now. What is wrong with level 7??
>>
>>51973634
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Vampire_(5e_Class)

>>51973629
Darn. Is it just because a paladin turned vamp auto-loses paladin status?
>>
File: what demons think of vampires.jpg (43KB, 789x110px) Image search: [Google]
what demons think of vampires.jpg
43KB, 789x110px
>>51973666
>Also PCs can't be vampires.

Bzzt! Wrong.

>Your character is retired.

The DM can *choose* to retire him.
>>
>>51973701
>dandwiki

I wouldn't throw that link around here if I were you.
>>
>>51973650
Not this shit again

>>51973574
CG and LE are literally opposites. But nothing says vampires 100% have to be of any alignment.

>>51973701
No, it's just that there's literally no rules for turning a character into a vampire. At least yet.
>>
>>51973574
I did it once in 4e
Sun-worshipping masochistic vampaladin, good times
>>
>>51973701
>awful homebrew shit
This is worse than the 4e vampire
>>
>>51973725
>But nothing says vampires 100% have to be of any alignment.
Well except the Monster Manual that says any PC becoming a vampire changes its alignment to Lawful Evil.
>>
>>51973701
>Is it just because a paladin turned vamp auto-loses paladin status?

They don't, but vampires are very powerful, the DM can choose to make him an NPC, and so forth. If the DM allows one PC to become a vampire, he should balance it out for the other players by allowing other massive power spikes, such as multiclassing dipping
>>
>>51973701
Your campaign allow stuff from that site and you're not immediately play this class?

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Meme_Master_(5e_Class)

What kind of newfag are you?
>>
>>51973574
Why the fuck would you delay your access to some of the best features in the game?
>>
>>51973725

>But nothing says vampires 100% have to be of any alignment.
>No, it's just that there's literally no rules for turning a character into a vampire.

Both of these are wrong.
>>
File: ヨハン[星律の探求者].png (159KB, 720x600px) Image search: [Google]
ヨハン[星律の探求者].png
159KB, 720x600px
What's a good class that can stand in the front line with the melee guy but focuses on control, while not being a healbot?
>>
>>51973755
Isn't that pretty much Bard?
>>
>>51973474
Not even that guy, but you DID literally say, "what do I care if people think I'm an asshole, their characters are dead", as if that's anything to do with it.
>>
>>51973755
>>51973738
Literally just looked up list of 5e classes in google. I'm new to this, didn't know that was a homebrew site.
>>
>>51973725
>CG and LE are literally opposites.

They are opposites in some sort of metaphysical sense that no longer exists, but they aren't opposites in terms of intrinsically having much behavior difference.

Not a big surprise that an Empyrean is either Chaotic Good or Neutral Evil, with no middle ground.
>>
>>51973800
Use only real books, genius.
>>
>>51973800
It's an awful homebrew site with no quality control or peer review on top of that.
>>
>>51973800
Consider these sites.
>https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/
>http://www.dmsguild.com/
>>
>>51973821
Dm has the books. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
>>
>>51973795
Why would I care about the opinions of grief oriented, us vs them style players? Fuck em.
>>
>>51973701
This class is very poorly designed.
>d10 HP with more class features than monks
>Free healing
>More free healing
>Minions more powerful than you
>As many attacks as a fighter
>Even more healing (at least it uses a resource this time)
>+10 to damage (with 4 attacks!!)
>MORE FREE HEALING
>+5 to AC, then +10
>+10
>to AC
>in 5e
But I guess it's balanced because it has 2 weak saves.
>>
>>51973812
Empyreans become evil due to corruption or curses, not skipping over some thin line between alignments.
>>
>>51973800
dandwiki is a garbage site of shitty homebrews. Actual wotc material will likely only be found linked to them
>>
>>51973752
>>51973776
I stand corrected.

>>51973812
No, really, we're not having this fucking discussion again. Nobody agreed with you the first time, and nobody could convince you either. It's a waste of everybody's time.
>>
How would you handle gestalt in 5e if you had to?
>>
Still one of the best.
>>
Could anyone give me a background idea for a Human Barbarian? Preferably not "I'm from a tribe and have low INT". Game's in 3 hours and I fucking can't come up with anything.
>>
>>51973849
"Becoming corrupted" doesn't have any particular implication that its Mentzen's magic gunk that flips ya lid, could very well be weaselly fiend arguments.
>>
File: 1406339752877.png (444KB, 1024x673px) Image search: [Google]
1406339752877.png
444KB, 1024x673px
What are some neat rituals for a Tomelock to pick up?
>>
>>51973843
Use 5etools on the OP post. It has all the official stuff (including UA which is the playtest stuff) with listed source.
>>
>>51973755
I thought the vampire class is the cringiest homebrew I was going to see today.
I was mistaken.

>>51973840
/r/unearthedarcana get pretty fuckin bad, and also has a shit ton of vote manipulation that makes shitty homebrew rise to the top. It's useful for getting people to look at your stuff but most of it should never see the light of day.

>>51973789
Battlemaster fighter or Open Hand monk.
>>
File: 040727.png (114KB, 720x936px) Image search: [Google]
040727.png
114KB, 720x936px
>>51973922
>>
>>51973931
Phantom Steed. Running 200ft each round while shooting Eldritch blast at and pushing people like a true turret.
>>
>>51973922
A Mexican bandito who drinks to go into his rage. He seeks gold and has a disdain for badges of any sort.
>>
>>51973613
>Mostly the whole cut off into another plane that you can't leave no matter what thing.
This is what Barovia and Ravenloft is, a prison demiplane. Not even the Darklords like Strahd can escape, it's their Silent Hill.

And sure, if you want skip finding all the artifacts you can, they're optional, but you can do that if your party is feeling suicidal.
>>
>>51973922
Insubordinate soldier.
>>
>>51973922
Noble spoiled brat with severe rage issues. Recently kicked out of his mansion.
>>
>>51973922
Angry strong man with a heart of gold perpetually experiences symptoms of a hangover. Everyone is being too loud.
>>
>>51973922
A man in search of tendies, in a world where none exist. He's fresh out of GBP, and without the promise of tendies in his future, why should he work to gain more?
>>
File: 1468298673386.jpg (47KB, 382x415px) Image search: [Google]
1468298673386.jpg
47KB, 382x415px
>>51973574
M8, just play a normal human and dump your attribute points into CHA, flavor it as you being curse by a vampire.

Roleplay everything being afflicted by the sun, disgusted by garlic, etc.
But obviously because your not a full vampire this stuff has "no mechanical" effect on your character.

You can have your cake and eat it too if you just ask your DM to go along your roleplaying and maybe a later levels if you really wanna be a full vampire he might throw you a bone.

Remember the whole point fo the game is to roleplay and have fun, and is 5e's motto to not get stuck thinking too hard about the "mechanics".
>>
I'm from 3.5 here.
Is the 5e cleric good/fun?
>>
>>51974136
Nah, that really just sounds pretty deviantart to me. I liked the idea of an undead paladin with a complex and the weaknesses would be fun to play around, but I'm perfectly happy to just play a paladin. Last thing I want to do is randomly throw in cringe inducing "GUYS LOOK AT ME I'M A VAMPIRE" shit.
>>
File: 1488336496963.jpg (84KB, 780x714px) Image search: [Google]
1488336496963.jpg
84KB, 780x714px
>>51973574
I like this one myslef...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wotyux03z4p6scv/Vampire.docx?dl=0
>>
>>51973600
>go back to 3.pf for a mage without at-will spells
I gather you never played AD&D did you?
>>
>>51974207
3rd best class in the game. Domain decides far more than just bonus spells though, so not all of them are that great.
>>
>>51973898
I would tell the person nagging me about gestalt to take the appropriate kit and shut up about multiclassing.
>>
>>51974218
That sounded exactly like what you were going for from your first post...
>>
>>51974238
Which domains particularly stand out as good or bad?
>>
>>51974231
Spells are *way* more devastating in AD&D and magic users are *way* more powerful, restricting cantrips is really, really gay.
>>
>>51973845
>the opinions of grief oriented, us vs them style players
I know you probably meant how they were writing their arguments, but god damn everything about the OG Tomb of Horrors is passive aggressive Us. vs. Them nonsense, including the "filled it with dead orcs" shit that beat it the first time. I think treating it like a sideshow of a one-off is the way to go.

>>51973955
>vote manipulation
I would guess that it's less vote manipulation, more people voting for goofy shit because they're not actually reading it or they're the type of player to pull stuff from dndwiki.
A better reddit board is r/boh5e which is meant to be a curated 'best of' sort of thing and has people getting into good discussions of homebrew in the comments.
>>
>>51974261
Arcana is my favorite, one because its not just used for clerics of gods of magic, but also for religious orders that want to field some kind of dedicated mage hunting specialist, they're a good do everything kinda char, they can even fight well with Booming Blade or Greenfire Blade, and they can end harmful spell effects using ordinary healing spells.
>>
>>51974257
I think that's a little unfair, anon.
>>
>>51974136
>be chuuni teen that pretends to be a brooding vampire
>get sent to Paladin school
>he's still in his edgelord phase but he's also genuinely a moral upstanding Paladin
wud u play?
>>
>>51974283
>but god damn everything about the OG Tomb of Horrors is passive aggressive Us. vs. Them nonsense

Right. The guy I was talking to implied that *I* was the bad guy for... wanting to use something like the "shovel in orcs/zombies/goats/etc" tactic rather than moronically getting my PC killed like everyone else. So fuck em.
>>
>>51974303
>began as a vampire hunter and in an unlucky turn became one himself. Loathe to his fate, he continued to walk the path of rightiousness, vowing vengeance against all of his kind.

Sounds straight off a DA profile.
>>
>>51974301
Arcana?
Where's that from?
One of the UA expansions?
>>
>>51974336
Sword Coast.
>>
>>51974261
Trickery and Nature are pretty sub par. Arcana and Light stand out for being extra good at casting, Tempest and obviously War let you battlepriest it up in melee. Life is good at healing, but not much else. Knowledge domain is cool if you like skills and Divination spells. Death domain is for edgelords, but very thematic and not half bad at being a necromancer.

Then there's the UA domains: Forge domain is decent for warpriesting it up, but fire damage is ass. Grave domain is less edgy than Death, but mechanically it's kind of grab-bag. Protection domain is a similar grab bag, but is also just ass.

>>51974336
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. and Death is in the DMG.
>>
>>51974329
Seriously. I would think if a vampire was nice enough to promote me from vampire spawn, I would try to be at least a LITTLE grateful.
>>
What sort of level would you reckon 4 players fresh off a long rest could take on a Planetar? I wanted to use one as the basis for my end boss of a campaign and would like it to be somewhat challenging but know it would suck if it just curbstomped them all for the last session. Think they should be on course to be level 8 at the rate I have been going.
>>
>>51974399
>>
>>51974399
11 = deadly, 12 = hard.

Note that level 10 PCs may be able to take one on, depending on composition.
>>
>>51974421
>>51974422
Guess I should have said, I ask because I have been finding the CR calculation to be bollocks and the group keeps steamrolling 'deadly' encounters.
>>
What invocations are must-haves for a one-handed finesse bladelock?

1. Thirsting Blade
2. Lifedrinker
3. Improved/Superior/Ultimate Pact Weapon
4. Armor of Shadows
5. Fiendish Vigor
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
>>
With the artificer's Infuse Magic, who concentrates on the spell? The artificer, or the creature that activated the item?
>>
>>51974455
What's their party composition?
>>
>>51974269
>Magic users are way more powerful
Casting times are a bitch.

More importantly when did this videogamey shit of "pure casters don't get sullied with weapons" start?
>>
>>51974465
Armour of shadows is only relevant until you can get +1 studded leather, and even then it's 1 AC for an invocation.
Other than that, depends on what your patron is, the new UA has a few choice options.
>>
>>51974465
Sneak in the one that gives prof in deception and persuasion.

>But muh combat
Seriously do it and stop whining that you can't just make a combat autist.
>>
>>51974455
>moronic

well they're guidelines so you don't accidentally TPK, and more rigorously required depending on how brutal and fiendish you design encounters
>>
>>51974479
Creature that activates it. Main reason to use it the ability.
>>
>>51974512
>More importantly when did this videogamey shit of "pure casters don't get sullied with weapons" start?
not japan for sure.
Most JRPG casters are really fucking handy with a weapon, barring the really traditional black mage stuff from long ago, but then even then red mages exist sooooo
>>
>>51974512
Around the same time casters are made to wear armor.
>>
>>51974547
Black Mages get daggers, they'll shank the shit out of you!
>>
>>51974547
Really traditional black mages also nuke entire parties on thier own though, their magic is the most potent weapon available. Black Mages usually have utterly stupid MP, it's not uncommon for them to have like twice the number of casts available as anyone else and do so much damage to the entire enemy side with one shot that sometimes you wonder who the protagonist actually is.
>>
>>51974512
>Casting times are a bitch.

Not at all. CT 1-3 spells are all you need to dominate.

>More importantly when did this videogamey shit of "pure casters don't get sullied with weapons" start?

When magic users got massively, unbelievably nerfed. 5e casters are unbelievably weaker than their 3e, or even TSR incarnations, so they really don't have enough spell slots to handle encounters most of the time, whereas in OSR/TSR stuff you can just wave your hand and solve the encounter consistently.
>>
>>51974498
Revised Ranger, Life Cleric, Battlemaster Fighter, Lore Bard.

Its not like they are doing anything particularly cheesy.
>>
What's an NPC that your players didn't like at first which grew on them later?
What did they do to earn their respect?
>>
>>51974576
>casters got massively, unbelievable nerfed
I'd say that the simple fact you usually have around a third the spell slots of a 3.5e caster, with somewhat less potent spells to boot, is a pretty good showcase of that.
>>
>>51970604
Talk to them about it. They don't know any better. If that is what they want, skip cities and humans, stick them in a dungeon and go through the monster manual.
If they are willing to rescue a princess instead of turning her into a lampshade, have a plot.
Talk to them.
>>
Beyond Bladesinger (which I really don't like for reasons unknown to me), Clerics, and Bladelocks (both under consideration),
Are there any other noteworthy front-line "battle-casters"? Preferably leaning towards control rather than outright damage.
>>
>>51974575
Joining the Kat Klaw Klub makes them plenty good fighters. Since FF1 is heavily based off D&D down to obscure shit like piscoloths and neo otyughs, I wonder if cat claws were based off anything?

I wanna try 2 red mage + 1 white mage + 1 black mage sometime. I think there is only one Cat Claw in the game, so I wouldn't want 2 black mages.
>>
>>51974602
Vengeance Paladins get a few control type spells abilities.
>>
>>51972519
Inspiration is supposed to be a reward for roleplay in your character's flaws in ways that actually work against you. It's to balance out that negative effect by letting you have an at-will positive effect for later use. People use it as a generic reward for cool or funny things, and I feel like there's got to be something better for that.
>>
>>51970604
>playing Skyrim
Make Hold Guards level 5-6 or so, and make there be hundreds in a single city moving in groups of four. This is reasonable enough.
Shopkeepers give them the finger and call the guards. Put a bounty on their head. If they insult the level 18 Archmage girl in the library, have her unequivocally push their shit in and hand them over to the guards.
You don't need to kill them but you need to show them that they will get their shit kicked in if they pull shit when they're nowhere near ready for the consequences.
>>
>>51974630
spells and abilities*
>>
File: Aeryn.jpg (154KB, 1748x2480px) Image search: [Google]
Aeryn.jpg
154KB, 1748x2480px
Praise the gods! /tg/ has given me art of my tomboy, reverse trap sun soul monk who only knows fighting and doesn't know how babies are made
>>
>>51974576
>Not at all. CT 1-3 spells are all you need to dominate.
Fine, I'll concede, conjuration especially had a lot of incredibly bullshit spells at 1-2.
>>
What stats would you give these guys from the latest Dragon mag?
>>
>>51974674
Don't forget 2e Phantasmal Force. Mass disbelief or die, level 1 spell, saving throw only if you disbelieve (nebulous).
>>
>>51974602
Valor Bard; the Bard spell list is all about control, with their PHB damage spells limited to a tiny handful of thunder and psychic level 0-2 spells

Paladin is also controlly.
>>
>>51974693
I really really want to kick this thing. :3
>>
>>51974693
Cat-Thing
Stats: As halfling or gnome or whatever, but without grossly deformed heads or noses that creep you out and make you sick to your stomach

>TWO LEGS
>>
>>51972259
Fun fact: Mystra has been described as like a computer. Every time there's a new one, all the memories of the previous ones just get uploaded into her, so while there are superficial differences, in the long run the same stuff tends to come to the fore.
>>
>>51973922
"I'm from a clan and I have medium INT."
>>
>>51974711
>>51974630
Actually I think we already have a bard in the party (I wanted to bard but every group I join already has a bard, what the fuck?), so I'll not go there.

Paladin is tempting but I feel like they revolve around smacking things more than control, that and another dude is playing crown oath paladin, but I'll research into it.

Any other interesting ones?
>>
>>51974754
>every group has a Bard and a Paladin
They're that good (kinda ironically as the thing that made Bards in AD&D and 3.5 good got nerfed to hell but almost nobody understood how amazing they could be as party buffers).

Any tier list that doesn't have Paladin at tier 1 was written by a moron.
>>
>>51972828
How do you eat a hole. A hole is the absence of something.
>>
File: erection in progress.jpg (35KB, 450x317px) Image search: [Google]
erection in progress.jpg
35KB, 450x317px
>>51974670
>>
>>51974814
Dendar the Night Serpant does what she pleases.
>>
>>51974637
Perfect explanation. No wonder my party never got any, I assumed it was just for good RP.
>>
>>51974693
Small-sized tabaxi from Volo's guide.
>>
When did Dragon fall so far?
>>
File: catadventures.jpg (394KB, 1536x1041px) Image search: [Google]
catadventures.jpg
394KB, 1536x1041px
>>51974884
>he doesn't like cats
>>
>>51973901
I always liked this one, but found the level 10 feature a bit hard to manage in practice. The big final feature I also found to be sub par compared to the other options, so I changed it to allow verbal casting on cantrips only.
>>
>>51974903
I fucking love cats, but Dragon in general.
>>
>>51974693
>>51974903
I'm going to build a campaign setting around these guys.
>>
So for a creature made of crystal, to what kinds of physical damage should it have resistant? What is more or less efficient at breaking crystal, piercing, bludgeoning or slashing?
>>
File: Tharizdun's Holy Symbol.jpg (215KB, 768x774px) Image search: [Google]
Tharizdun's Holy Symbol.jpg
215KB, 768x774px
So, uh, I noticed all of your god worship...

W̩̞͙̭̣͜ẖy̞̻̞̤͎͘ͅ ̶̞̮̺̮͎n̝͚͉͘o̫̭͖ ̸̩̳͇ḷ̸o͝v͇e͉͔̯̘̯ ̟̜f͙̝͖̰̱ọ͝r̺ ̨͔̺͓̪m̗̱e̝̘,̙̘̻̻̜̫͎ ̱̕b̮͕̯r̤̞͙u͇̳̥̟̟͟ͅh̪͖̯͈͉?͕̀
>>
DM here. My party of 5 has 2 bards who share a backstory which is just a rip-off of Blues Brothers (nothing wrong with this, it's pretty funny in game). They both took 2 levels in diviner and one took bless as a magical secret while the other one usually casts bane as his con spell.

I'm kinda tired with having my dice fucked with all the time.
>>
>>51974990
The latest Dragon+ already did.

The CAT LORD (an actual thing from D&D past) made a pocketplane and filled it with cats. They fight rats.
>>
>>51973901
>bane's on the spell list
Very nice, but
>Charisma
>Kek followers
>>
>>51975002
Piercing is going to have the least affect while bludgeoning is going to fuck that rock up.
>>
>>51974699
But you still only had one cast of those a day, and no DM would have been retarded enough to let you do the "blast then rest" thing BG was built around.

Sling and dart mages were a thing in 2e for quite a few levels, and you basically needed to multiclass to even have weapons that weren't complete garbage. I don't really see how losing at-will unlimited blasting ability really hurts that.
>>
>>51975011
The Cat Lord was pretty weird shit. I never understood why he wasn't just a cat folk of some kind.
>>
>>51975011
Rats are bros though. It's mice who are the adorable shiters.
>>
a pc of mine wants to make food that elicits emotions (magically) from those who eat it

how do I do this in 5e?
>>
File: カタリナ.png (136KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
カタリナ.png
136KB, 960x800px
So my party is essentially as such (level 1 as of now):
>Paladin (Oath of the Crown)
>Bard (College unknown, most likely Valor)
>Rogue (Archetype unknown, but is ranged based)
>Gunslinger (Homebrew fighter archetype)

I'm currently thinking of making a controller-ish character, but I really like being in the thick of things, so being a wizard will probably fuck me up.

I might have also locked my character into the personality of what can be summed up as a 40k Techpriest, so I'm also looking for a class that fits it.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>51975073
The Cat Lord is a lady.
>>
File: catlord.jpg (274KB, 1536x952px) Image search: [Google]
catlord.jpg
274KB, 1536x952px
>>51975073
Don't question him.
>>
>>51975096
Didn't the Cat Lord change all the time? Like got passed down to a new person or something?
>>
File: diterlizzi-cat-lord.jpg (19KB, 365x450px) Image search: [Google]
diterlizzi-cat-lord.jpg
19KB, 365x450px
>>51975073
>>51975096
>>51975113
Pic related is the rightful Cat Lord.
>>
>>51975096
The beast lords in Beastlands changed a lot. They were basically minor gods except they embodied the spirit of the beast for a time rather than being the spirit itself.

Coincidentally it was also the plane where Ehlona and a lot of the seldarine roosted in 2E.
>>
>>51975139
>Planescape Catlord
>Sharess knockoff
2E/3.5 Cat Lord or nothing.
>>
>>51975165
You fucking what. Bast/Sharess is worst cat deity.
Also, that is the 2e Cat Lord.
>>
>>51971938
I prefer to make the sun a giant eldritch abomination of constantly regenerating tentacles that is constantly under flame by a fire god and legend tells that when the flames on it's many appendages die out, it will lash out and destroy the universe.
>>
>>51975087
Open Palm Monk is a pretty good melee controller, might not work too well with your character concept, though.
>>
What would Cat Heaven look like?

>Butterflies in the air
>Boxes everywhere
>Fields of wild catnip
>There are rivers of milk that never spoils and they're full of delicious fish that are easy to catch.
>Celestial maidens wander around and give scratches and rubs. They're former human worshipers of the Cat Lord and after a time they turn into cats.
>Watch out planewalker, Cat Heaven is right next to Tiger, Leopard, Smilodon and Jaguar Heavens.
>>
>>51975087
Fey Tomelock. Repelling blast, Frost Lance and a Phantom Steed will give control and let you run around in the thick of things.
>>
>>51974912
Any tips on making the 10th level feature less time consuming?
>>
>>51975087
A melee controller? As others have said, open palm monks and bladelocks could fit, and possibly even cleric, though they don't have a lot of controlling spells.

I'm gonna say something weird here and suggest a Battlemaster fighter. They have some pretty control-ish maneuvers, and enough feats to grant you Shield Master, Sentinel, or both, depending on your weapon of choice.
>>
Just read scag for the first time. How exactly are Sun Soul Monk used? Its can't exactky use stunning strike. And the burning hands ability is kinga costly
>>
>>51975269
>The love of cats everywhere is reinforced by the Wall of the Catless
>Those who did not let cats into their hearts during their lives are slowly turned into catnip over centuries
>The Cat Lord wanted to tear down the wall, but other Lords wouldn't let him, since tearing it down would mean the potential end of cat love
>>
>>51975007
Did you let them take 2 levels in Diviner without any real justification other than "it's powerful"? If so, you have nobody but yourself to blame
>>
So does anyone ever play gnomes because they geniunely like the race... or are they all like my players and pick gnomes for +2 int to boost their otherwise completely flat wizard character?
>>
>>51975450
No one likes gnomes. There is no reason to take them other than being a minmaxer.
>>
>>51975087
Try the (First) Favored Soul sorcerer and pick life domain. Half plate and shield, Fireball and Revivify at 5th lvl.
>>
>>51975006
One of the better gods, but currently no domains that are particularly apropos.
>>
Is there lore of halfling romance with other races? What is produced by human-halfling couplings?
>>
>>51975007
You are not in the right mentality to be DM. That's just 4 dice per long rest anyway. Throw more encounter at them.
>>
New thread >>51975563
>>
>>51975556
A trip to the healer most likely
>>
>>51975556
A three-quartersling.
>>
>>51975416
Their whole shtick is that their characters are just absurdly lucky and don't knowingly contribute to the party.

When they cutting words someone, they RP an obnoxious coughing fit or feigning screaming in horror to interrupt an action. The same goes for counterspell. The one who "blesses" has the other sneeze and he says "bless you" and "accidentally" casts bless on the party.

The party loves it. It just gets tedious sometimes because it involves a ton of extra dice.
>>
File: Grippli3.png (607KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
Grippli3.png
607KB, 600x849px
>>51975450
There's a reason my setting's +2 int race is way more interesting than gnomes.
>>
>>51975165
The cat lord in b&w is from the 1e MM2.

Also the beast lords change. They're not actually immortal, which was pretty cool imo.
>>
>>51975557
It's not just diviner. It's the combination of that, plus bless/bane, and cutting words/bardic inspiration. Of course they both took lucky feat as well.
>>
File: Alfie.jpg (53KB, 350x374px) Image search: [Google]
Alfie.jpg
53KB, 350x374px
>>51975556
>What is produced by human-halfling couplings?
Lewds
>>
>>51975556
By most lore? Nothing. In most lore, the only real mix is human and elves
>>
>>51975641
Human + orc = half-orc
Human + elf = half-elf
Human + dwarf = dwarf
That's basically all there is.
>>
>>51975060
>But you still only had one cast of those a day

Who the fuck cares? At the same level, the fighter could take maybe one orc without dying, reliably, per day. That's about it. The old school magic user was still vastly stronger than the 5e one -- counting at level 1.

>and no DM would have been retarded enough to let you do the "blast then rest" thing BG was built around.

Nah. But it doesn't matter either way: being able to survive one encounter at all is very, very, very, very, VERY generous by old school standards. The level 1 magic user is not at a disadvantage in an endurance marathon campaign any more than the fighter is; that 1 1st level spell slot goes a lot further than the fighter's 5.5 hp.

> I don't really see how losing at-will unlimited blasting ability really hurts that.

First they are nerfed until they are a pale shadow of their might in Old School D&D, and then they're further fucked over by the fact that they can't do at will scaling damage. So they can't wipe out whole encounters with every spell, or do much to wipe out encounters without HP damage at all, but they also have to sit out encounters, even at higher levels.
>>
>>51975578
That's fine, but keep in mind, allowing multiclassing, especially cherry picked ability multiclassing, is a pretty big freebie.

Now that you have given them this massive freebie, though, you should probably let them keep it.
>>
>>51975556
>>51975641

Stouts and tallfellows? Hello?

Or do you think its a coincidence that short stuny halflings hang out with derfs and willowy tall halflings hang out with elfs? etc
>>
File: 4fe7c9eb373cb2e5ed991f841346636e.jpg (41KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4fe7c9eb373cb2e5ed991f841346636e.jpg
41KB, 2048x1024px
Hey guys, Amaunator cultist here

So I just realized if I do the "immolate myself for 1 minute" thing I have to make a con save every turn to maintain concentration on, say, spirit guardians

This is kinda ass, who woulda thought that setting my mortal shell aflame for the glory of the One True Sun would make it slightly inconvenient to scour the universe in His name

What to do?
>>
>>51975747
You don't have to expend all your daily resources on the same fight.
>>
File: 1484075575801.jpg (56KB, 517x572px) Image search: [Google]
1484075575801.jpg
56KB, 517x572px
>>51974670
>>
>>51974524
Yeah, I plan on swapping AoS out if magic armor shows up, but I probably won't claim any until the other light armored guys in the party get outfitted. My patron is probably gonna be the Archfey, and I'm probably going to skip the bow in favor of just using eldritch blast for my ranged option.

>>51974534
>implying I don't already have proficiency in those from my class and background.
Not a terrible suggestion though.

Currently I'm thinking of Devil's Sight for darkness shenanigans, Misty Visions for general illusion abuse, or Otherworldly Leap for some extra mobility (Ascendant Step is technically better, but since I'm going to be in melee pretty often it's less appealing. If it was true flight, it would be no contest.)
>>
>>51975767
But if I don't burn half as long how can I shine twice as bright?
>>
>>51975030
>War Pick.
>Shitty at busting up rock monsters because of rapiers.
>>
>>51976393
By having twice as much fuel.
>>
File: MrBungleCaliforniaCDGermanyCD.jpg (89KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
MrBungleCaliforniaCDGermanyCD.jpg
89KB, 400x396px
>>51972468
I'm not sure about "background", but...

Goodbye Sober Day -- https://youtu.be/AY1sBXjl0s8
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (25KB, 634x356px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
25KB, 634x356px
>>51976393
>twice as bright
>twice
You know how spheres work, right?
>>
File: MulStoneHammerFighter.jpg (14KB, 200x253px) Image search: [Google]
MulStoneHammerFighter.jpg
14KB, 200x253px
>>51975663
>Human + dwarf = dwarf
That's insulting to muls everywhere
>>
>>51977722
>bringing science to a poetic sophistry fight
If you want to get technical, brightness is a measure of intensity, not volumetric coverage.
>>
>>51971125

Players who fuck with party goals are just assholes.
>>
File: SC6rsKO[1].jpg (174KB, 738x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SC6rsKO[1].jpg
174KB, 738x1000px
What's a decent way to build/play a long death monk? Max wisdom ASAP, spam fear every round unless your targets are immune?
Thread posts: 412
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.