[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 440
Thread images: 25

File: Goblin Battle I.jpg (844KB, 1200x1504px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Battle I.jpg
844KB, 1200x1504px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>51969730
>>
File: ah yes I see.jpg (51KB, 359x305px) Image search: [Google]
ah yes I see.jpg
51KB, 359x305px
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>51975563
Yo, that elf is fucking dead. He's still got his bow out as TWO goblins charge him, one of them with a spear, and he's not even aiming at either of them.
>>
>>51975597
He's aiming his bow at the goblin mothership. Destroying it will make all the other goblins fall motionless onto the ground.
>>
File: 1450121128846.jpg (133KB, 600x504px) Image search: [Google]
1450121128846.jpg
133KB, 600x504px
Did WotC ever get around to adding a brawler archetype for Fighter? Making characters with my group of pseudo-newbs and I haven't kept up with UA.
>>
Hey /5eg/, got a DM question for you.

I've got an idea for a fight for my party, but I'm having trouble balancing it.

The big enemy is a dude who's turned him into some kind of arcane/alchemical monster. Doesn't do a lot magic - can turn invisible, cast darkness - but I'm thinking having it be a CR 6 monster. Now, I'm also thinking of having his wife be another monster, probably just a reskinned banshee. Now, a banshee is a CR 3 monster.

Is a group of a CR 6 and 3 too much for 4 level 5 party members? We started at level 5, they all have 1 magic item, but they're mostly for show. I'm just worried I'm throwing too much at them too quickly.
>>
Are there any prebuilds from other systems worth porting over to 5e? A Pathfinder story, or a 3.5e one, or a Mutants and Monsters if there's any that fit.
>>
>>51975711
CR 4. And no, it would just be a "hard" encounter.

Unless they roll bad, in which case they're dead, of course.
>>
>>51975711
In a straight up battle they will likely stomp 2 monsters that aren't even above their CR
>>
What is the most waifu build, guys? The party is an ultramacho sausagefest and I need to compensate.
>>
>>51975788
College of Glamour presumably.
But I also like Oath of Devotion Paladin, presumably protector.
>>
>>51975563
>>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
How would you stat a Planeswalker, if you wanted to use the MtG multiverse for a 5E game and let the players go to more than one plane?

I'm thinking for the non-Oldwalker type PWs (so the new crew), just something to the effect of innate magic "plane shift" once per short rest and comprehend languages at will, but no other stuff, since all the new PWs could be done up as various magic using classes. It wouldn't need to be any more complex than that, would it?
>>
>>51975802
that feel when playing a middle aged male glamour bard that has a hard and cold exterior
>>
>>51975749
You're right on the banshee, guess I was thinking of the basilisk's CR.

I guess I just don't get encounter building. According to the DMG, a CR 6 monster (2300xp) and a CR 3 monster (700) should be a deadly fight (2300+700 = 3000, 3k x 1.5 = 4500, 4.5k/4 = 1125, deadly fight for 4 level 5s is 1100 each). Should I ignore the DMG's encounter builder or is there some other information I've either skipped or don't know about?
>>
How would you stat pic related in 5e?
>>
>>51975861
>It wouldn't need to be any more complex than that, would it?
I've thought about this a buncha and, yeah, I don't think I needs to be more than just saying "you can do these two things".
>>
>>51975903
I use Kobold Fight Club. It applies a penalty to adjusted XP based off the PCs outnumbering the enemy, I think (its a 2 to 1 fight). Might be from the UA article on encounters, not sure.
>>
>>51975905
Divination Wizard with the Luck feat with a homebrew race that's "halflings but taller than humans,"and at a game table where a d20 critical counts as "what you say is law."
>>
What should I do to study up on DnD settings?
>>
>>51975905
Way too OTT for 5e.
>>
Just finished a session where the party wizard died attempting to attune to the Wand of Orcus. Good stuff.
>>
>>51975802
What makes those particularly waifu?
>>
>>51976054
That can kill you?
>>
Level 4 Arcane Trickster. After I hit 5 I sort of want to multiclass into a full caster. Would a Bard or Wizard have better synergy with the class?
>>
>>51976111
div2
>>
>>51976111

I multiclassed into Trickery Cleric. Most fun character I've played thus far, would recommend.
>>
>>51976109
Yeah. If you attempt to attune to it, you have to make a DC 17 Con save. If you fail, you die and turn into a zombie. If you succeed, you still take 10d6 necrotic damage, but you attune to it.
>>
>>51975993
There's a lot of settings, Anon.

>Greyhawk
Boring shit no one cares about anymore.
>Dragonlance
Boring shit even fewer people care about.
>Mystara
80s as fuck cool shit with a twist on the Gods and a Hollow Earth mini-setting. Has a spaceship and a swashbuckling coast where everyone gets super powers. Setting for the old D&D beat-em-up arcade games.
>Forgotten Realms
Closest thing to a standard D&D setting for 3.5 onwards. Every generic fantasy thing you could possibly want is in here. It's considered boring but mostly everyone just plays in the same region or acts like the whole world operates like medieval Europe (particularly the English parts). Setting for most of the later PC games.
>Maztica
Part of Forgotten Realms, but Aztecs, lizardmens, and birdpeople everywhere.
>Kara-Tur
Part of Forgotten Realms, but it's every Asian country slammed together.
>Al-Qadim
Part of Forgotten Realms, but it's Arabia.
>Dark Sun
Conan in the post-apocalyptic desert. Everything green is dead; bug people, psionics, and oiled+ripped people fight endless gladiatorial battles for the pleasure of cruel Sorcerer-Kings in the few bastions of civilization left. All the weapons are made out of bone and rock because metal's gone.
>Eberron
Shit's all weird, the races are different, there's magic and pseudo-technology everywhere like magical railroads. Has a very altered cosmology and not-robot people. Setting for the one of the D&D MMOs.
>Birthright
Everyone had a big war and the Gods sacrificed themselves and their blood got all over everyone so now some people have Godblood in them that gives them super powers and they run around playing Game of Thrones to absorb each others' Highlander bullshit.
>Planescape
Ostensibly related to FR, but not necessarily. Super weird shit happens here as you travel from one wacky plane to another. Like a Discworld novel on crack. Setting of Planescape: Torment, that PC game everyone liked.
>Spelljammer
Boats in SPAAAAAAAACE.
>>
>>51975788
Archfey warlock. Make contract to become magical girl. Fluff eldritch blast as rainbow and star. Take Moonbow for finisher and use disguise self to turn yourself into magical girl before combat.
>>
So whats better goin full EB or Moonbow build?
>>
Why is shortsword a piercing weapon?
>>
>>51976171

Been out of the loop for a while. What's a moonbow?
>>
>>51976193
Because Roman and Italian fencing manuals, faggot. Thrust is the superior attack in 99.9% of all engagements.
>>
>>51976109
>Any creature besides Orcus that tries to attune to the wand must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw. On a successful save, the creature takes 10d6 necrotic damage. On a failed save, the creature dies and rises as a zombie.

If you attune it though:

- magic mace, +3 weapon, +2d12 necrotic on every hit
- 2 minor beneficial and 1 major beneficial, 2 minor detrimental and 1 major detrimental
- +3 AC
- bunch of spell charges, recharges at dawn
- can summon 500hp among as many skeletons and zombies (average HP) as you want, so basically instant undead army on command once a day
- it's sentient: INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 16, described as "cold, cruel, nihilistic, and bereft of humour, feigns devotion to the current user to further Orcus' goals to kill everything in the multiverse"

It's pretty fucking good, unless you land one of the really shitty detrimental properties.
>>
>>51976135
My wisdom sucks unfortunately. Right now I have +3 int and +2 cha, but my DM said I can switch them around before next game.
>>
>>51976193
They're known for devastating stabs.
>>
>>51976199
Warlock invocation
>>
>>51976199
It's a bow made out of moonlight summoned from a Warlock's wacky fey patron in the new Wizard/Warlock UA.
>>
I know that you guys dislike homebrew but how would one go about making a homebrew of a big robot character? I suppose he'd have buffs to int, str, and con but negatives to char and dex. Minuses to stealth, speed, and social stuff. Can't be charmed or poisoned by magic yadda yadda, but cannot use magic. I would imagine it to be it's own race class thing, with each level up "unlocking" various functions like built in weapons and features.
>>
>>51976193
No matter what other people tell you, I can guarantee you the real answer is: because in D&D, it's always been a piercing weapon.
>>
>>51976199
unique weapon for Archfey pact of the blade from the Warlock UA.

It let you do pseudo-smite (2d8 per spell slot) at range.

>>51976171
Depend on your pact. Tomelock can lock down enemy with speed reduction + push + phantom steed.
>>
>>51976204

Sounds amazing, especially as running into Orcus isn't that uncommon (in terms of his popularity as an antagonist).
>>
>>51976199
Warlock UA invocation, lets blade pact archey warlock summon a bow with their pact blade feature, gives advantage against lycanthropes and can smite.
>>
>>51976227
Well in an ass combat campaign, you could simulate how powerful it would be via treating him as his own stand rather than as a solo, so that he is as powerful as ten combatants. The way a regiment can reconfigure itself for aid, defense, or mobility also seems appropriate for a robot.
>>
>>51976204
>>51976256

Unfortunately, he rolled an 8 on his Con save. After the epic fight in which they were somehow able to disarm and banish Orcus, he died attempting to take that power for his own.

And thus ended the tale of Scrobnuss the wizard.
>>
Is light cleric fun? I heard that fire damage suck.
>>
>>51976156
This is good shit.
>>
>>51976156
>Eberron
I thought I heard earlier people don't like Eberron but that sounds pretty cool, so what's the catch?
>>
>>51976283
I'd let him continue the char with zombie as his new race, under the assumption he is controlled by the wand and would probably try to get someone else to use the wand.
>>
>>51976171
It's not even close to competitive with EB, unfortunately. The only real benefit is that the moon bow can nova SUPER hard on a crit compared to EB.

>>51976306
People with good taste love Eberron.
>>
>>51976306
"It's different" is why they dislike it, basically.

There's all the same races there, but many of the monstrous ones act differently. I believe orcs and minotaurs are really changed. There's Drow everywhere (which is gay), and some people don't like the House stuff (I think Houses are dumb in every setting they're in, but that's my pet peeve). Some people also dislike the high-tech element to it, the fact that lightly magical items are everywhere. My greatest exposure to it is from DDO, but I'll be honest in saying that my eyes basically glazed over at all the lore details because AGAIN, FUCK HOUSES.

But hey it's got jungles and giant land and magical tattoos and robot people and a realm of pure madness so that's cool.
>>
>>51976344
>There's Drow everywhere (which is gay

what?

they're mostly segregated to the giant person continent
>>
>>51976278
Stand? What do you mean by that?
>>
>>51976284
"X is a bad/good damage type" is a shitty meme.
There are remarkably few creatures with resistances, immunities, and vulnerabilities in 5E to begin with. Fire is one of the most commonly immuned types, but there are several other types with more creatures resistant to it.

Only an unrepetent faggot of a DM would constantly throw the handful of resistant or immune creatures (many of which you'd never see anyway) at your party knowing there's "the Fire Guy" there, especially without some means of downgrading resistance/immunity.

Mechanically, Light is a cool domain. If you must give in to the fearmongering of resistancefaggots, just ask your DM if you can change your element. Say you still cast Fireball and Burning Hands and all that other shit, but it's Cold-themed or Lightning-themed now. That's not Burning Hands, it's Snowspray. Warding Flare isn't you flashing a laser in the enemy's eyes, it's a puff of stinging air and glittering snowflakes. This is the refluff edition. This shit literally doesn't matter and any faggot who goes "wah it'd be overpowered to make a Light Cleric run on thunder damage" can go eat a dick. No, they can eat TWELVE dicks.
>>
>>51976344
>There's Drow everywhere
In Eberron? They're scorpion-worshiping jungle dwellers on the Unga Bunga continent. You'd be lucky to find like five on the entirety of Eberron's main campaign location (Khorvaire).
>>
>>51976399
>>51976361
You can't just put Drow somewhere and expect them to stay there.
>>
>>51976378
In the When Armies Clash thing for UA, stands represent units of 10, and solos represent single powerful figures. For the most part, a stand and a solo both function as the same thing, but with a few changes. For example, a solo spellcaster can't use targeted spells on a stand, unless it could affect 5+ guys.

You have to be near another stand to avoid being isolated (a sort of combined disadvantage and vulnerability), so one giant robot could protect another stand or a solo from becoming isolated, and you'd only need one other stand to keep him from being isolated.

Easiest way in mass combat to defeat most enemies is to use some heavy duty knockback effects (total of 20-40 feet) to isolate an enemy stand or solo, and then everyone gets advantage and deals double damage to him.
>>
>>51976397
>Only an unrepetent faggot of a DM would constantly throw the handful of resistant or immune creatures (many of which you'd never see anyway) at your party knowing there's "the Fire Guy" there

Fiends in general tend to have resistance or immunity, and its not even remotely the DM's fault if they run to a fiend heavy segment of the game and somebody wanted fire damage man.
>>
>>51976425
>an army of javelin-throwing Battlemasters with Pushing Attack
>Warlocks with Repelling Blast
>and Open Palm Monks
>>
>>51976450
Guess what, demonfucker, it's now Radiant fire because GAWD SAID SO
>>
Are times standard array is better than point buy?
>>
>>51976156
Thinking about how 5e's low/no magic items jibes with Eberron, how would inexpensive devices that could cast cantrips as 1st level characters do change a world?
>>
>>51976467
why bother having different damage types in the first place then?
>>
>>51976473
I've been running an Eberron campaign and as long as you follow the treasure and pricing guidelines in the DMG, having magic items readily-purchased or crafted isn't really a problem. It gives characters a ton of stuff to spend money on, at least, and upping the difficulty a bit to match them isn't hard.
>>
Why is there no female halfling art whete their feet hair is groomed or styled with clips or ribbo s?
>>
>>51976473
Even in Eberron, super broken shit like that probably is a mistake. Eberron is more about "what would a world be like if magic items really were bought and sold?"
>>
>>51976502
Because you're an good DM and not one of the hacks who made the MM and threw resistances/invulns all over the place all willy-nilly because "that sounds okay" or "well it was kind of like this in past editions" then left out basically every vulnerability.

I'm not saying you never throw in something with resistance to something the party can do, but you don't chuck fire giants and elementals and demons at the pyromancer and the guy with the flaming longsword. Have a little fucking ingenuity.

Spells weren't balanced around "this element is common so it must be weak" or "this element is resisted a lot so its spells will do more damage than this other element which is never resisted". They were barely balanced at all. There's no reason to treat Fire or Cold like pariahs or Radiant like it's god's gift to munchkins.
>>
>>51976306
My only real problem with eberron is it having elves+dwarves+halfings+goblinoids at all.
>>
>>51976111
Bard.
>>
>>51976473
Eberron is more about buying tables that float up to 30 pounds of food, glasses with self-shading transition lenses, and brooms that sweep of their own accord, not wands of fireball everywhere.
>>
>>51976453
That'd be pretty effective.

Area effect damage can be pretty good, if it covers a 20x20 area at least -- they do half damage if they can't cover the whole stand. One stand casting an area effect against another deals double damage, as its assumed they're all targeting the same area.
>>
>>51976599
>he's okay with humans
Trash.
>>
>>51976599
Well considering a big design goal of Eberron was making a playground where all or almost all the stuff in 3e had a home, not having those races would be a pretty grievous failing.
>>
>>51976599
The real problem is there's only one Dragonmark for Dwarves and it SUCKS SHIT
>>
>>51976598

>Spells weren't balanced around "this element is common so it must be weak" or "this element is resisted a lot so its spells will do more damage than this other element which is never resisted"

Burning Hands and Stinking Cloud definitely seem to be balanced around such things, really.
>>
>>51976631
I'd actually be fine with the removal of humans too, but I imagine it would be a far less popular decision.
>>
>>51976473
Well, let's see.
Create Bonfire, scaled down, would be lighters and firestarters, and would allow for the steam engine to exist without the use of fuel
Dancing Lights and Light would allow for something akin to the industrial revolution, as people can now work through the night
Druidcraft would make the creation of exquisite gardens easy and would allow for perfect weather forecasting everywhere, without the need for mass communication
Friends would probably cause a panic when young men use it surreptitiously to pick up women
Guidance would increase the overall skill level of the average human being by about 20%
Mage Hand is just a useful spell in general for the lazy in society
Mending takes jobs away from hardworking Americans
Message is like texting but within sight
Minor Illusion is weird, because it's one of the most useful spells, but I can't think of a non-adventuring use for it
Prestidigitation is pretty useful as an all-around magic spell. Its use is kind of fuzzy, as people will argue about for hours
Shape Water allows for the instant creation of ice, allowing food to be preserved
Spare the Dying allows for a much heightened lifespan among the average person

Of course damaging cantrips are useful, but would probably be illegal for the average citizen to use (alternatively, everyone would be required to own one for the purposes of defending their nation).
>>
I want to like Eberron, but the stuff like halflings being dinosaur-riding nomads and drow being jungle savages strikes me as trying too hard to be different.
>>
>>51976598
Demons and daemons definitely seem to be balanced around being a horrendous problem for arcane casters to deal with, and have basically always been so, with varying degrees of success.
>>
>>51976704
There's nothing different about this if you're familiar with Dark Sun.
>>
>>51976704

Actually, dinosaurs are pretty useful for the edition it was made (3e), since they give a mid to high power option to put their animal-based spells to use.
>>
>>51976765
>demons and devils are a problem for arcane casters
No? Less so than most other classes, assuredly. 5E doesn't even have SR anymore.
>>
>>51976618
But there are wands of fireball everywhere. Eternal wands, even.
>>
>>51976397
Fire has 37 resistance and 40 immunity in MM.

Only Cold (46 resistance) and Poison (90 immunity) is worst than it on both ground.
>>
>>51976156
3.5's standard setting was Greyhawk-Lite, not Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>51976704
There are plenty of halflings in the cities. They just have uncivilized brothers out in the sticks.

Kind of like how I live in one of the most populated cities in the US but there's literal cavemen 300 miles in any direction who subsist off of grouse and have a home that moves.
>>
How do I deal with hoards of low level enemies as an alone 3rd level Vengeance Paladin with no special AoE items? I got curbstomped today and it feels like there's nothing I could've done.
>>
>>51976816
They SAID the default was Greyhawk, but everything they did was in furtherance of FR.
>>
>>51976802
SR still exist in the form of advantage on saving throw.
>>
>>51976811
If there is a useless damage type, it's poison. Several PC classes even get immunity to it.
>>
>>51976775
I like Dark Sun, but that was dumb then too.

>>51976821
Well that's just sloppy.
>>
>>51976802
> Less so than most other classes, assuredly

Other way around. Now, clerics and paladins certainly have an easier time against them, by and large, but that's a good thing.

>5E doesn't even have SR anymore.

It does have magic resistance, which you can't get around effortlessly like SR, though.
>>
>>51976823
>How do I deal with lots of enemies as a martial?
You don't. GWM is the only thing that gets you close but it becomes increasingly worthless as a mook-slayer as mooks grow stronger but your per-hit damage doesn't scale.

You run for the protection of Big Papa AoE Caster and hope he blesses you with a Burning Hands or some shit. Your job is to fight and die to keep him safe.
>>
>>51976156
Ravenloft?
>>
>>51976866
>two classes are most other classes
????????
>>
>>51976852

At least its readily available and super damaging.
>>
>>51976823
Actual paladins have among the best crowd control effects around: turning fiends and either fey or undead. Doesn't cover everything, oh well.
>>
>>51976885
This is shit design.
>>
>>51976823
Buy a mount. Take polearm. Attack stuff and Dash or Disengage back every turn.
>>
File: 1480549980352.jpg (44KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
1480549980352.jpg
44KB, 406x406px
>>51976156
>All the weapons are made out of bone and rock because metal's gone.

I dare say Dark Sun's got an over abundance of metal.
>>
>>51976884

I just pointed those two because of how fiends seem mainly about bullying arcane casters in particular.

Chasmes are probably the perfect fiend antagonist -- can catch fliers, have truesight, have an aoe con save effect, magic resistance, proficiency on dex and wis saves alone, and deal a cool 11d6 damage. Plus Faces of Evil claims they breed rapidly.

Other classes are gonna have issues with them too of course but in particular there's just plain not much wizards are ever going to be able to do about those guys.
>>
>>51975903
A deadly fight is beatable. It should be fine.
>>
Do there exist any basic dungeons I can run as a one-off?

I've collected some people to play 5e with and most of them have never played before. It's also my first time as DM. Are there any basic dungeons I can find to run as a sort of tutorial to just teach them the basics of the game first?
>>
>>51976904
Not really? Poison's great, crazy useful, a way for martials to deal devastating added damage or apply various debuff effects, and potentially free, though the stuff that will cripple low con save fuckers is surprisingly cheap (check the contact poison stuff, 200-400 gp). Its good.
>>
>>51976901
>actual paladins

You trying to say something punk?
>>
>>51976986
Things that are strong because they are commonly rendered useless is shit design. A car that either does 0 or 60 is not useful.
>>
>>51976283
Should have cast Death Ward first.
>>
You'll never hear an adventurer boasting abour bedding a halfling girl.
>>
>>51976992
Maybe he's not, but I will.
5E Paladins aren't Paladins. They're Clerics who got daddy to buy them a Full BAB PrC. No alignment restrictions? What the fuck is that about? All this power, and you don't even have to play the thing smart, either mechancially or story-wise. Zero dedication to the concept. You're all shit. You wouldn't last two minutes in 2E.
>>
File: Giggle.gif (511KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Giggle.gif
511KB, 500x281px
>>51976986
>not running around with a backpack full of purple worm poison
>>
>>51976327
>It's not even close to competitive with EB, unfortunately
On average targets, it's competitive with EB on average. Takes half your invocations though. There's plenty of circumstances where EB is better anyway too.
>>
>>51976986
>you can buy a full plate for the price of six doses
>>
>>51977038
Just because halflings are short doesn't mean they have childish features. They look like grown-ass women. There's nothing wrong with fucking a halfling.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (153KB, 629x596px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
153KB, 629x596px
>>51977040
>>
Are there any other passwords for the Short Expeditions in the starter guide? I'm trying to set up an intro game for my friends and I but both passwords are old and can't be accessed.
>>
>>51977040
Get outta here you oldfag piece of shit. Early edition paladins were way too easy for the DM to fuck over.
>>
>>51976344
>FUCK HOUSES.
It's basically a dozen continent-spanning trade guilds. They're multinational corporations. Except the dragonmarks that are the cornerstone of their operations are inherited, so they're also nepotistic clans.
>>
>>51977022
Yeah, fuck turn undead and bonus smite damage, am I rite?
>>
Is mixing in althistory with my game "kosher", so to say? I was planning on the next campaign involving a dimension-shifted mongol-zombie khanate invasion, and I am hoping no one will get all pissy about it, "This can't happen in DnD" kind of thing.
>>
>>51977076
If your DM was trying to fuck you over, he was a shit DM.
If your DM successfully fucked you over, you were a bad Paladin.
If you resisted being fucked over but he fucked you anyway, he was a shit DM on top of not understanding how Paladins and alignment in general works.

If the world handled everything like this board's imaginary DMs back in 2E which they never played, we would have died out years ago because no one would have bothered having sex after the first disappointing time.
>>
>51977038
>51977054

Shortstacks are my fetish desu.
>>
>>51976618
>tables that float up to 30 pounds of food

Mage Hand/s.

>glasses with self-shading transition lenses

Minor Illusion.

>brooms that sweep of their own accord

Mage Hand/Prestidigitation.

>not wands of fireball

No one's dealing 8d6 AoE damage with a cantrip.
>>
>>51977086
Right.
>>
>>51976327
If you multiclass into Sorcerer though. Nova all day...
>>
>>51976618
>not wands of fireball everywhere.
Eberron invented the eternal wands that are the standard format for 5E's wands and staves.
>>
I've been running narrative combat recently but it doesn't feel like I'm doing it right. Any tips so it isn't just "I hit the guy"?

Or is it my players being uncreative?
>>
>>51977054
>>51977116

Gnomes and halflings are shortstack and loli, but i forget which is which.
>>
>>51976657
I don't see how those two examples demonstrate your theory, to be honest.
>>
>>51977093
Do it like Fate series. Don't forget to gender swap a few important historical figures.
>>
I'd play a campaign where every person in the setting had an infinite wand of fireball honestly.
>>
>>51975711
>We started at level 5, they all have 1 magic item, but they're mostly for show. I'm just worried I'm throwing too much at them too quickly.

I'm curious, why start at level 5 if you have players you are concerned with "throwing too much at them too quickly"?
>>
>Head out alone to do rogue shit because my party is full of no-stealth nerds.
>Suddenly realize that I've been cornered by the BBEG, a monk, who appeared out of fucking nowhere.
>Getting my ass seriously beat, use cunning action to escape.
>See the party in the distance, hoping the druid will heal me.
>Suddenly realize the monk has been following me the whole time I thought I'd escaped.
>"I've already afflicted you with my quivering palm. I can kill you any time with a thought."
>Party notices me as I start to fall over and cough up blood, runs over to see what's up.
>My body fucking explodes just before they reach me.
I'm conflicted. On the one hand the way that whole ordeal played out was pretty great, but on the other I felt like there was basically no way for me to live after I walked away from the group.
>>
>>51977164
>America: The Campaign Setting
>>
>>51976821
>They just have uncivilized brothers out in the sticks.
They're not that uncivilized. They're just basically cowboys.
>>
>>51977151
>genderswap
>mongol-zombies
>>
>>51977093
>"This can't happen in DnD" kind of thing.
In "D&D" you can do whatever you want. If you're in like Forgotten Realms or a specific setting, people may not be into such a setting wide catastrophe without a heads up.
>>
>>51976852
>Several PC classes even get immunity to it.
It doesn't really matter what PC classes get for the purposes of attacks the PC classes use, but it seems fair to also point out Heroes' Feast.
>>
>>51977170
Quivering palm only reduce you to 0 hp, not making you explode.
>>
>>51977197
>he doesn't pvp
>>
>>51977178
Fate Grand Order has gender swap Francis drake fighting zombie pirates. And gender swap Emperor Nero fighting her resurrect ancestor and undead army.

Because why not?
>>
>>51977170
Well yeah. Wandering off alone is a bad idea. It's like you've never watched a horror film.
>>
What's the best class to play a pacifist character but guardian who is connected to her body attack against her will
>>
>>51977170
Should've realized the kind of game your DM was running.
>>
>>51977199
Huh, so it does. Well that's kind of annoying.
>>51977225
We were in town. I seemed pretty safe at the time.
>>
>>51977040
Most paladins were basically somewhere between LE and CE pretending to be LG because their god gave them a license to kill.

Non-fallen Paladins actually made better villains than fallen ones. Fuck you and your alignment fetish.
>>
>>51977250
So your DM want to kill you via BS ability. You know what to do.
>>
>>51977245
Is that statement in English?
>>
File: Unless you're the mongols.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Unless you're the mongols.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>51977178
Khulutun challenges the party to a wrestling match. If he wins, he gets to eat your brains.
>>
>>51977218
Well, having monks, Yuan-Ti purebloods, your necromancer's skeletons, and Druids that are immune to poison is helpful for stomping enemies inside your stinking cloud/cloudkill.
>>
>>51977245
Wizard. Fluff spell as your guardian spirit doing.
>>
>>51977250
Do you have a good relationship with your DM?

Cause it sounds like you got fucked.
>>
So my variant Human wizard only has 10 con. He is the investigative and talky type. Will hp be a problem?
>>
>>51977144
Try and use descriptive language when you attack them, it could spark them into doing the same.

Also try some minor bonuses/setbacks based on the type of damage. Got a speedy player running around? Shoot him in the leg and lower his speed. Players should be able to catch on that being more specific gets better results when they can also wound enemies beyond "he loses hp"

But your players could also just be uncrearive i dunno
>>
>>51977298
Yeah, but I think sometimes he thinks up these set pieces and doesn't really let game mechanics get in the way. In the past he's talked about how much he hates how dying works by the rules.
>>
>>51977245
You can only do it in a 3 person campaign where each person plays one role.
>>
>>51976978
Check out the stuff they make for Adventurers League. They are designed as 2 or 4 hour adventures most of the time and it should be easy to adapt them to most plots/settings.

Also the upcoming book is supposed to made for short adventures, although I don't know if they'll only last one session.
>>
>>51977395
I'd think a Warlock will do
>>
>>51977245
Id say warlock, your patron is a guardian who does all the spellcasting maybe.
>>
File: 1434294185402.jpg (489KB, 1000x595px) Image search: [Google]
1434294185402.jpg
489KB, 1000x595px
>>51977415
>Paladin/Warlock multiclass where your god, and patron fight over you
>>
>>51977441
Or maybe you work for the Underpope, and your patron and god are the same guy.
>>
>>51977338
As long as you don't get hit you'll be fine.
>>
>>51977459
>you cheat on your god with your patron
>find out they're the same person
Just like one of my Korean dramas.
>>
>>51977144
try introducing a line of dialogue from time to time when the enemies attack. this opens the floor for engaging roleplayers more during combat.

have lots of environmental hazards or improvisational opportunities. let the enemies use them to remind your players of the possibilities.
(kicking over brazier of hot coals/ rolling ale barrels to knock PCs down/ throwing sand or dirt to temporarily blind them) most of these work well if there are multiple baddies.

If you players are gonna be boring, then your npcs can be at least entertain you with their shenanigans.
>>
>>51977396
>upcoming book

What's this?
>>
>>51977492
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
>>
>>51977479
>have lots of environmental hazards or improvisational opportunities
Thats the good shit. Fuck wacky "the guy explodes because nat20" winning a fight. When you defeat the necromancer by making him and all his skeletons trip and fall like idiots, thats the real victory
>>
>>51977505
This isn't in the trove yet, eh?
>>
>>51977519
It's not even out yet idiot
>>
>>51977477
>If you like piña colada.
>>
>>51977519
Do you think the troves is a time machine or something?
>>
>>51977505
I know you're afraid of product bloat Wizards, but please release more actual supplements. Goddamn.
>>
>>51977144
Make it more deadly. They can't care about losing 5% of their health.
>>
>>51977595
/pfg/ is that way.
>>
>>51977517
>The necromancer reveals, firstly, that all his magical power is tied up in maintaining control of his armies
>And then, secondly, he reveals that he doesn't need his spells anyways
>He pulls a gun and shoots my monk
>Deflect missiles, catch the bullet in my palm, much to his surprise
>Spout a shitty one-liner and throw it back at him
>>
I want to teach myself programming for android, and I was looking at making a D&D app while I learn.

What's something that I can make that would be useful and also legal.
>>
File: LoveYaMan.jpg (35KB, 520x371px) Image search: [Google]
LoveYaMan.jpg
35KB, 520x371px
>>51977505
>tomb of horrors
>>
What do you guys use to make maps for Roll20? I've only ever DMed locally and scribbles on grids has worked for me, but it doesn't feel right on Roll20.
>>
>>51977732
A lot of things don't feel right on roll20. I find maps, and if that doesn't work then I draw them using r20.

The drawn ones usually suck.
>>
File: tomboy monk.jpg (154KB, 1748x2480px) Image search: [Google]
tomboy monk.jpg
154KB, 1748x2480px
Would you teach her where babies come from.
>>
>>51977149
Stinking Cloud rapes everything.

Burning Hands is great for when it shows up
>>
Is there a compilation of those maps mapanon posted a couple of weeks back?
>>
File: 1481217225274.jpg (271KB, 793x793px) Image search: [Google]
1481217225274.jpg
271KB, 793x793px
>>51977812
>monk

talk to me when you have a warlock
>>
>>51977040
>You wouldn't last two minutes in 2E.

Why would I play a paladin in 2e when I could fighter-mage-cleric it up a notch?

Or according to the errata, when I could gnome illusionist/cleric? Remember, Phantasmal Force = level 1 mass disbelieve or die (for reals) in 2e.
>>
>>51977812
>her

Don't kid yourself anon.
That's a trap.
>>
>>51977338
Con saves and hit points are a wizard's greatest weaknesses even if you start with Con 16, so..
>>
Opinion on Glamour Bard? Is it any good?
>>
>>51976306
Eberron is designed whole-sale for pure pulp.
Such as:
Indiana Jones-style dungeon delving in a humongoid 'lost continent'
noir detective stories in one of the ludicrous cities
arcane maglev train robberies
secretive proxy tradewars between the guilds waged by superspies
a secret alien invasion
clan wars amongst dinosaur-taming halflings

It's a lot of fun, but like any pulp tabletop stuff it's hard to do well and some people dislike it as an element of D&D.
Going by the Eberron game's I've played in over the years, an easy trap to fall into is for it to just be awkward "normal D&D" that has occasional trappings of something unique.
>>
>>51977338
6 health at level 1. A goblin has a 50% chance to one-shot you on a hit.
>>
>>51977958
We don't do alot of fighting and when we do I don't frontline and instead get hirelings and the redt of the party is my muscle.
>>
>>51977955
Almost forgot: there's also a renegade cyborg army that wants to steal the secrets to build more cyborgs, and a giant strip of wasteland tainted by arcane nuclear fallout.

Basically, mash all persisting 1950s adventure plots into a D&D setting and you get Eberron, with more generic stuff filling in the blanks along the edges of it all.
>>
File: emDE2oO.gif (2MB, 406x274px) Image search: [Google]
emDE2oO.gif
2MB, 406x274px
>>51977477
Goddamn K-dramas.

Don't bother mining greek mythology for ways your gods should behave. Go mine Cunning Single Lady or something. Make your gods petty, stupid, physically abusive, and hilariously catty.
>>
>>51977843
Were you not even in last thread? That's a double-reverse quadruple trap.
>>
>>51975905
Making Bayonetta would be very difficult. Her powers are vast and disparate. You're going to need some form of caster, but you'll still not be able to do nearly everything she does and you will have a bunch of unrelated junk you didn't need/want.

I'm thinking a sorcerer/monk multi is the best you can really do without going full homebrew.
>>
So will we ever get another setting book? I have a feeling Eberron will get one because they can cash in on how normies love "Steampunk" but I honestly couldn't see them making anything but Forgotten Realms crap anytime soon.
>>
>>51978330
The truth is: we just don't know. Tales from the Yawning Portal is a departure from the release setup they initially planned, and the current leaks show a $10 book out in June and a $25 one out in October.

https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-RPG-Accessory-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966181

https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-RPG-Accessory-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966211
>>
>>51978366
I'll bet my bottom dollar one's a Dungeon Master screen or something.

The prices seem a little cheap for new D&D stuff but they could be making a really small extended character options or something.
>>
Has silver fire ever been statted?
>>
>>51978396
Kill everything it touches, period.
>>
>>51978330
>MFW Wizards releases a Dragonlance setting book AND a Greyhawk setting book.
>>
>>51978382
>>51978366
Actually there's more.

June 20th, $10: https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-RPG-Accessory-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966181

July 18th, $15: https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-RPG-Accessory-Wizards-Team/dp/078696619X

September 19th, $20: https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-RPG-Accessory-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966203/

October 17th, $25: https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-RPG-Accessory-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966211
>>
>>51978419
To me Greyhawk's rather forgettable honestly. Better then Forgotten Realms by a fucking mile though. Dragonlance would be awesome, I love the lore there with all my heart.

>>51978424
That's a lot of cheap goods they're releasing. Kinda worried they're all miniature line ups.
>>
>>51978447
>That's a lot of cheap goods they're releasing. Kinda worried they're all miniature line ups.
They're all listed under books on Amazon... and have proper ISBN numbers that you can look up. They're books of some sort, released monthly at an increasing price, with guaranteed pre-order pricing on Amazon.

What the fuck are you planning, Wizards?
>>
>>51978496
Could they start releasing more small scale adventures? Like LMoP sized things and maybe there's going to be one for every 5 levels.

Though at that point you gotta wonder why not just do a 1-20 in a big book.
>>
>>51978521
Seems easier to get people to commit to 5 levels of adventure than 20.
>>
Question for players: do you dislike or find it cheesy if your DM blatantly rips off a known piece of media? Or do you enjoy feeling as if you were "in that movie/game"? What if he doesn't try to hide it and explicitly calls out the reference?
>>
>>51978538
There's a scale. Its acceptability is inversely related to how pastiche it is.

Give some examples.
>>
>>51978538
Bad DMs rip-off just about anything.
Good DMs borrow from everything.
Great DMs give no fucks and outright steal what they like.
>>
>>51978531
True. Though adventures are great and all but I'd rather be getting some good fluff. We're getting plenty of Crunch with UA (We used to at least) and I only like buying small adventures I can work into a campaign.

Tales from the Yawning Portal's something I like, but a setting book's what I'll love.

>>51978538
If he lets you know beforehand he's using a setting from somewhere and it's not some stupid dickgirl anime then it's fine.
>>
>>51978570
In this case my players are going to fight a mummy lord (If you're here, don't look at the spoiler, you know who you are) and I want to use those nasty scarab swarms from The Mummy movie that crawl under your skin.

>>51978586
Sounds good.

>>51978593
Not really setting stuff or fetish, just neat ideas, really.
>>
>>51978521
>>51978531
They've had a contract with Baldman Games, who've been selling quasi-official/AL legal adventures on the DM's Guild for a bit less than a year now. Plus they've got all the season tie in adventures for sale digitally, too.
Wouldn't be shocked if one or two of those books pulled together a string of the more well received adventures like that, but I doubt every single one of those would be that sort of thing.

Hmm. What if the splatbook in the works is actually a handful of smaller paperback releases, like the Complete Book of [Blank] splats for 2e?
>>
File: IMG_0045.jpg (209KB, 625x1356px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0045.jpg
209KB, 625x1356px
So I'm running a campaign right now where everyone is third level PLUS they have an extra ability from pretty much any class or archetype that's third level or below. Ie you could be a barbarian with fury of blows, or a ranger with rage, or a monk with an animal companion. It's all with the caveat the party asks me, and I'm just trying to keep everything loose and a bit more free form. The party right now is a fighter who asked for a custom whip fighting feat, a cleric who took gourmand instead of an ability, and a paladin warlock multi class that asked if he could just have level 3 warlock casting instead of level 1, so I said sure, and then there's a cleric that I can't for the life of me remember what she even took.
It's getting to be time for them to level up, and I think instead of new levels they're just going to get yet another ability (or feat) that's level appropriate, but I wanted to give them some other options. Some are going to be story thematic abilities that I'm writing, but I wanted to try making an alternate to extra attack (because casters aren't going to go higher than second level spells, maybe some limited third level, and I just don't want to go too far in power for this game) for guys that just want to fight good.
I'll admit that if they can pick any ability they don't "need" this because they can just pick improved critical, a fighting style, martial dice, or whatever, but I just wanted to float an idea by you guys that I just had. Also I can't sleep right now.

Martial accomplishment
Get 1d8 martial maneuver die that resets every combat, or can be reset with an action. Can use any maneuver.
Also gain one martial technique, such as
Quick draw, cleave, throw 2 daggers with one attack at -1 to hit or 3 at -2, etc. Haven't hammered out exactly what these will be but I have some ideas. Probably going to re read the early less magical tome of battle abilities or something. Might just let the players have input.
>>
>>51978701
>Not really setting stuff or fetish, just neat ideas, really.

That's 75% of DM'ing right there. Steal everything that isn't bolted down, then fiddle with it till it fits in your campaign.
>>
>>51976397
what? no, get the fuck outta here with that bullshit. If Joe dickhead made a pyromancer then he does so knowing full well his specialization can also be a weakness. Giving him easy outs and softballing enemy types just sends the message that specialization is always the right way to go.
>>
>>51978701
this is fine. everybody does this to some extent.

If you stole the plot wholesale and railroaded your players along it, that would be a different story. if you take a character, a monster, or some other feature and fit it in with your narrative, you're just being a DM. I wouldn't even think twice about it
>>
>>51978538
I'm fine with it. The main event our campaign revolves around is basically Mordheim, but it's still fun.
>>
>>51977170
>splitting the party
>>
>>51977338
If you got alert with your variant human free feat you might not die.
If not prepare to have your wizard die as soon as he gets surprised.
>>
>>51976598
>Spells weren't balanced around "this element is common so it must be weak" or "this element is resisted a lot so its spells will do more damage than this other element which is never resisted"
Yes. Yes they were, you silly anon. Just compare how the most damaging spells often do commonly resisted damage, like fireball. Hell, Fire Bolt and Poison Spray are the cantrips with the biggest damage dice. Check this link and educate yourself: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Etc96j5GkjH28I7eb4porqFS2XzTJtK0P6DHla7_bzU/edit

How curious it is that there are 31 fire spells, but only 8 force and 7 psychic. Out of the 11 radiant spells in the game, only 2 are available to sorcerers and wizards: 6th level Sunbeam and 8th level Sunburst. You think that's all a coincidence?
>>
Is 5e actually any good?
I've been hearing it gets boring.
>>
>>51978993
It's pretty good.
>>
>>51978993
Compared to...?
>>
>>51976306

Who told you that, what viper is whispering such foul lies in your ear?

Only total fags hate Eberron
>>
>>51978868
Exactly. It's like saying you're a shithead if you don't constantly throw hordes of goblins at your party's PAM TF Sentinel Fighter. Sometimes, your specialised build will be super effective, others it won't.
>>
>>51978993
You've been listening to screeching pathfinder autists, haven't you?
>>
>>51979014
Compared to say, 4e.
>>
>>51978993
Best edition (as long as your DM doesn't suck).
>>
>>51979041
Oh. Yeah, maybe 5e isn't for you if you personally prefer a high focus on resource-management intensive tactical combat.
>>
>>51979056
>as long as your DM doesn't suck
I'd say that as a rule, DM fiat can fix literally anything, and also ruin literally anything. I'm willing to bet a godlike DM could run FATAL enjoyably.
>>
>>51977079

Looked at from a certain perspective, it's like a more cohesive, lower tech level Shadowrun.
>>
>>51979066
Flawed premise, any GM worth their dice would never actually run FATAL.
>>
>>51976700
>Blade Ward is something any guard or person concerned with personal safety has up at all times.
>Doesn't help because Shillelagh brand cudgels are ubiqitous.
>>
>>51979086
still helpful against monsters, skellingtonz, etc
>>
File: 1471327964885.jpg (160KB, 937x836px) Image search: [Google]
1471327964885.jpg
160KB, 937x836px
>>51979078
>not running it for kekkles
>>
>>51979108
beyond the learning curve, FATAL is insanely demanding and slow to play as well as to make chars for

I seriously doubt even a godlike DM would make it good.
>>
>>51978993
It's more like, say, 2e's scope of things, where your class is much more definitive for the breadth of your abilities.
As a sort of counterweight to that, it has what has to be the best character background mechanics I've seen in an RPG: it ensures you aren't *just* your class, and your background informs a great deal about how and why you use your class features and who you know in the setting.

I can see how 5e might get boring if you demand a specific blend of when you make choices and why, but it's not really any more or less boring than any other RPG.
>>
File: 1468239244090.png (259KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1468239244090.png
259KB, 256x256px
>>51979113
I'll be honest, I gave the system a once-over when I first heard of it and kind of tossed it aside so I wouldn't go insane so I can't even imagine how a game in FATAL would work.
>>
>>51979127
>it has what has to be the best character background mechanics I've seen in an RPG
>5e
Are you serious?
>>
>>51979065
4e is fantastic, but we also want to try something more freeform and ruled-on-the-fly. Even 4e can get autistic and the fucking arguments around rules gets fucking annoying.

>>51979035
I used to really like Pathfinder, played and DMed it a few times. Never again. Holy shit, does it unbelievably suck. But all the more power to the screeching autists who won't play anything else.
>>
>>51979146
I like you, anon. You seem like a reasonable guy.
>>
>>51978993
It's like a smoothed 2nd edition with some tidbits from 3rd and 4th. Probably the best D&D experience overall, but it's intentionally somewhat dependent on a good DM to realize its potential (moreso than some other systems)
>>
>>51979159
You seem like an excellent bro as well.
>>
>>51979140
With a response like that I can just tell this conversation is going to be like pulling teeth.
Let's just cut to the chase, guy. Are you even disagreeing, or just being bitter on 4chan for no discernible reason? How many responses will I have to give you before you actually have substance to go along with the noncommittal derision?
>>
>>51979146
>Even 4e can get autistic and the fucking arguments around rules gets fucking annoying
This will always happen. 5e's natural language only exacerbates it
>>
>>51979196
Natural language bitching is not as bad as precision language bitching. As someone who has sat through the past 4 whole-numbered editions worth of bitching, believe me when I say that 5e doesn't get it nearly as bad as 4e did from raging autists like touhoufag.
>>
>>51979193
5e barely has background mechanics. It's little more than a formalized way to write a backstory with almost no mechanical impact. Tenra Bansho Zero does it better. 13th Age does it better. You could even say 4e did it better with their introduction of themes later on. To say 5e has the best of all rpgs is bizarre even to me with my limited knowledge of other systems
>>
>>51979196
Natural language?
>>51979209
Goddamn 2hu, he shouldn't use theorycrafting in his arguments because games invariably don't play out like that.
>>
>>51979140
Not that anon, but i agree, it isn't stupidly complex, doesn't make or break characters, encourages backstory, adds flavor, and has good variety with explicit rules for 'homebrew' backgrounds.
>>
>>51978496
Do the spellbook card packs have an ISBN? It could be that.
>>
>>51979219
I almost wish there was a way of importing Savage Worlds' Edges/Hindrances system over.

One of the only things I liked from those rules, but man it was fun to use.
>>
>>51979209
Personally I prefer precision language bitching, simply because it can be conclusively solved, and then one can determine whether to houserule or not. Just a couple sessions ago my group detoured into an argument over whether a certain effect triggered on all attack rolls or just attack actions because all it said was "attack". I miss 4e's precision language in the face of that.
I also have little issue with touhoufag. He's nice to have around even if you don't need to actually listen to him all the time.
>>
>>51979247
To each his own, I suppose.
>>
>>51979230
It's seriously just how to write a backstory. It's what people have been doing since they took basic writing. You can't call that "mechanics"; it doesn't actually interact with the game system. Flaws, ideals, etc do nothing besides make you feel warm and fuzzy for not being completely incompetent at character creation
>>
I've decided to play a Ranger in my next game who trained with a fey in the forest near his village.

I planned to just go straight Deepstalker but was also thinking about multiclassing Feylock for the Moonbow, smites, hex (better hunter's mark) and flavor.

Is it a workable idea though?
>>
>>51979301
>You can't call that "mechanics"; it doesn't actually interact with the game system
Except since backgrounds grant proficiencies, languages and items, it does in fact interact with the mechanical aspects of the game.
>>
>>51979375
See if your DM will let you use the UA Ranger.

If you're thinking of multiclassing for flavour, why not Druid?
>>
>>51979301
>Flaws, ideals, etc do nothing besides make you feel warm and fuzzy for not being completely incompetent at character creation

Technically, they are supposed to tie into inspiration.
>>
>>51979397
Huh I just realised a Ranger Druid can be SAD with Shillelagh, Magic Stone and Spells letting you do everything off Wisdom.

I could even just Magic Initiate for those two and not worry about Multiclassing at all.
>>
>>51979397
I imagine because druid doesn't represent "trained with fey" all that well
>>
>>51979418
Magic stones is not a sufficient replacement for an actual attack action
>>
>>51979435
Well shit I always thought it was a Ranged Weapon Attack but you're right. A melee ranger keying of Wisdom could still work though.
>>
>>51979219
>5e barely has background mechanics
It has at least as much as any of them.

4e's themes weren't backgrounds--4e had two different takes on Backgrounds. The first was a short questionnaire that had no mechanical interactions and so was ignored by 2/3 of players, and even if it was used it's less helpful than 5e's approach to defining character traits as it's a bit too open-ended; 5e's cuts more to the quick of how your character operates. The second approach were literally just vague tags, like "Wetlands" or "City" that might have a single minor bonus at the DM's discretion. If you combined both of 4e's background systems you'd have a sort of prototypical version of 5e's background system, though lacking its central Background Feature and the mechanical hook of Inspiration.
13th Age's backgrounds are literally just a less narrow and more flavorful approach to skill categories.

4e and 13th Age's ways about it are both vague slurries that fail to guide any real definition of the character outside of a loose mechanical association and those systems leave less motivated roleplayers (the people who actually need guidance) knowing more about the place they're from than they know about their character.

TBZ's fates are literally just less categorical traits/ideals/bonds/flaws, even with the same sort of functional reward for treating them as a meaningful and character-defining thing. I'd say that if you like TBZ (never had a chance to play it, myself) it's a very equitable system.
>>
>>51979209
>>51979247
There are legitimately a lot of unanswered questions about how different mechanics work in 4e.

There are fewer interaction between mechanics in 5e so there's gonna be fewer disputes.
>>
>>51977602
>tfw there are people in here who don't want a proper PS supplement
>or Ravenloft
>or who'd rather play Meme of Horrors than revisit the great cities of the Tablelands
>>
>>51979508

A MotP type book would be better than a Planescape type book. The crunchy bits (tieflings and aasimar) are already accounted for.
>>
>>51979532
Honestly you could easily split it into 2-3 splats (Inner Planes, Outer Planes, Sigil) if you were going overboard, still not as bad as 2E's orgy of boxed sets.
>>
>>51979508
>there are people here who don't want to lead the mighty armies of Cerilia once again
>there are people here who don't want to return to the wilds of Karameikos and Glantri, or the red-steel-cursed shores of the Savage Coast
>there are people who'd rather run around Neverwinter for the millionth time than engage the Elven Armada in the vastness of Herdspace
>>
So far, 5e hasn't really had a good track record with their adventures. Only OotA is the only good 3pp adventure, while even CoS and SKT has disappointing bits.
>>
>>51979582
>OotA is the only good 3pp adventure
But it's 1pp.
>>
>>51979587
It was designed with Green Ronin. The lead adventure designer was from GR.
>>
>>51979570
For the most part, SJ isn't too hard to do. I personally feel ship to ship combat isn't going to apply much when the minimum bar for entry is a spellcaster + 100k helm, as most ships in classic Spelljammer are crewed by level 0 nuisances, meaning beaming over and chopping up everybody's going to be your best bet every time. On the other hand, beholders and mind flayers are gonna outstrip most other crew completely, so they're going to be pretty easy prey and likewise they'd probably prefer to directly engage. I think, but am not sure, mind flayers had teleport at the time. If not, psionic mind flayers probably could.

There are decent SJ battlemaps, but what I would want most out of 5e SJ would be professional SJ battlemaps, and modernized art, plus ANY art for the extremely awesome Witchlight Marauders.
>>
>>51979604
WotC (and TSR before them) have always brought in third-party contractors for bigger works. That doesn't make it third-party, not when WotC still did most of the conceptualization, organizing, editing, publishing, marketing, etc. It's first-party by all measures, anon.
>>
>>51979556
I half expect that sort of thing to be happening with that big bunch of smaller book releases they were talking about upthread. Two of them were $22 and $25, both of which I could see being about right for a modest supplement about the planes, especially with the strong foothold of what's covered in the DMG.
>>
>>51979634
3pp in the sense that's it's not entirely inhouse, which leads to a shittier adventure, see the Dragon adventures and that Elemental themed adventure.
CoS and SKT are a lot better overall because they're entirely inhouse productions, with tighter design posts.
>>
>>51976700
>Minor Illusion is weird, because it's one of the most useful spells, but I can't think of a non-adventuring use for it

You will never be an advertiser with that attitude, and I mean that as a compliment.
>>
Anon-san! Anon-san! How do I play Cleric outside of combat? I don't see many useful utility spell!
>>
>>51979717
guidance all the time
>>
>>51979717
By spreading your faith.
>>
>>51979717
in a large dark environment, cast light on individual arrows of your party members and put it in a sealed quiver, so their arrows will illuminate their foes while hopefully not illuminating you (when longbows are potentially up to 600' range and darkvision is almost 60', light is a serious concern in night fighting)

cast Guidance (+1d4) on your party members for every skill check

fuck around with Thaumaturgy to your heart's content
>>
holy shit Guiding Bolt is a great first level spell. 4d6 single target radiant AND give an ally advantage?
>>
>>51979744
On a related note, cast continual flame on a coin and stick it at the end of a wooden tube. Put a removable cap on one end and seal up the other.

You can also use daylight, but that'd only last an hour.
>>
>>51979744
> arrows
Light only work on one object
>>
>>51979887
You can cast it multiple times though.
>>
>>51979887
Cantrip with an hour duration, dude.
>>
>>51979893
No you can't read the spell.
>>
>>51979911
It's a cantrip my dude
>>
>>51979915
Uh, not him but it ends if you cast it again. Says so right in the spell.
>>
>>51979893
i'm pretty sure it cancels itself if you cast it again, unfortunately
>>
>>51979915
You still haven't actually read the spell have you?
>>
>>51979921
>>51979924
Good point. Just cast it on one arrow then, still pretty useful.
>>
>>51979717
You wot mate? What do you tell me of Augury, Calm Emotions, Enhance Ability, Silence and Zone of Truth? And that's all just 2nd level stuff.
With 3rd level spells you get the amazing Speak with Dead, plus Clairvoyance, Meld into Stone, Sending, Tongues and Water Walk.
4th level? Freedom of Movement, Divination, Stone Shape.
5th? Bitch, you have Commune, Geas, Scrying and fucking HALLOW.

I could go on and on. But you know what's the craziest thing? A good bunch of these are exclusive to Clerics only, maybe being available to some paladin oaths or certain kinds of land druid. Other than those, only clerics can cast them, plus your domain spells can give you room for more utility.
>>
So what's the fun stuff I can do with Planar Binding? I'm an Arcana Cleric and the idea of making an Elemental, Fey or Fiend my bitch sounds fun. I'm not going to try this on Celestials because I don't want to piss off my god.
>>
>>51979964

Even though it's a 5th level spell, it's better left off for higher levels when you can upcast it, and refresh the casting without destroying your spell slot economy, or your personal purse's economy
>>
>>51979964
Encourage party members to spare enemies as they are reduced to 0 hp in melee.
Use Magic Circle to immobilize them if needed (don't remember how long they remain unconscious), and then Planar Binding to gain long term minions.

You will need to use a higher spell slot to have a significant duration, but nothing stops you from treating the game like pokemon. Of course, let the DM know, and have a brief discussion about it so he's not shocked and pissed off by you being a pokemon collector. Otherwise, he may dispel your shit.
>>
>>51980002
>>51980003
Alright let's say I've got a Druid, I can cast Planar Ally and I know an NPC with most of those fancy demon summons. What's the best idea for something I can bind ever 10 days with a low chance of escaping, and how do I get 1,000gp every ten days?
>>
>>51980019
Planar Ally, last time I checked, has no CR guidelines. The being you beseech (like your god) simply sends ... whatever, and it may join your party, taking a share of XP.

No point using Planar Binding on a Planar Ally, they're already there to help.
>>
>>51980019
>how do I get 1,000gp every ten days?

Well, by default you can't buy or create magic items, so you may as well spend it on Planar Bindings.
>>
>>51980033
I don't want to pay it and I don't want to give it my XP. I want to trick it into a Magic Circle and own it.

Wait I just realised I'm a Lawful Neutral Cleric of Asmodeus. I don't really know what his whole deal is with this kind of stuff, would he be pissed if I'm forcing Devils and what not to serve me or would he be happy because tyranny's one of his things?
>>
>>51980019
The default thing to summon are some elementals (Galeb Duhrs are off the hook), for an outdoor campaign it is to summon a fey mammoth, annis hags are acceptable as well with Conjure Fey.
>>
What monsters resist/immune force damage? I'm playing a Warlock and I Eldritch Blast evvyday
>>
>>51980059

Well first, ask your DM.

Asmodeus does not give a shit about his minions being abused by his other minions. If I were the DM, however, Planar Ally would be redundant with Planar Binding except for gods with very mercenary followers. Asmodeus could presumably be one example.

If you want to cage and coerce something, you will need to figure out something that cannot ranged attack you the moment it appears.
>>
>>51980078
In 5e, either none or close to none.
>>
>>51979924

In my table multiple light casting is allowed in the case of Aasimar Light Cleric. You can cast it two times.
>>
>>51980078
Helmed horrors.

That's it.
>>
>>51980084
Good point. I was worried about being Fireballed or something as soon as it shows up.

Most of this is pure theoretical because I can do it but I don't want to unless necessary. This kinda shit ruins fun but next time we're going against something big I'd like a trick to pull out.
>>
>>51980078
Force and Thunder are by a wide margin the best damage types because almost nothing resists them or ever resisted them.
>>
>>51980091
>>51980110
>>51980124
Nice!
>>
Wait. With my Planar Binding I just remembered Flail Snails. They have ADV on the Save but the -3 CHA modifier still gives me a good chance. Plus it's a god damn Flail Snail.
>>
File: lizardfolk paladin.jpg (217KB, 900x1150px) Image search: [Google]
lizardfolk paladin.jpg
217KB, 900x1150px
Hey /5eg/
I'm DMing tonight and I didn't had much time to make a proper encounter, so I'm looking for some low level modules to use or get idea from.
They are a group of 4, all level 2 and they have just finished my prologue to the grand campaign. I want to hit them with something they can deal with only, if they work together or by some clever mechanications. I was thinking on a good old dungeon for them to clear and loot, because I haven't gave them one ever, but I'm open to all suggestions.

TL;DR: Looking for low level dungeon modules, thanks.
>>
>>51980229
>Lizardfolk
>Not Dragonborn

Especially considering paladin is one of the things that dragonborn don't suck at, even if human is still better for it.
>>
>>51980229
The N- and B-series are designed for that sort of level. They're the AD&D Novice and Basic... Basic series, respectively.
>>
>>51976156
Ravenloft? Gothic Earth? Points of Light?
>>
>>51980242
I've saved it like that from a character art thread.

>>51980260
Thanks, I'll check them out.
>>
People don't argue that a twinned sorlock's Eldritch Bolt can be used to hit the same person twice, right?
>>
File: C4_K9xdXUAAmfCT.jpg (46KB, 1099x720px) Image search: [Google]
C4_K9xdXUAAmfCT.jpg
46KB, 1099x720px
>>51980242
>the only thing non-humans are good at is lowlight/darkvision
>my human warlock has even better darkvision than normal
>>
>>51980229
There's a low level dungeon in the adventure module Hoard of the Dragon Queen, called the Dragon Hatchery. It's decent, but IIRC it's designed for a level 3 party, so you might have to scale down most of the encounters.
>>
>>51980284
No. The whole point of sorclock has always been quickened spell, not twinned.
>>
Is Warlock/Cleric good for a one level dip? My Wisdom is pretty decent and I'd like some more armor. (14)
>>
>>51980355
Oh and I have shit Str so Paladin is a no go
>>
>>51980285
Devil's Sight is pretty damn good. Fighting a repelling blast devil's eye warlock in a totally dark area, as is often the case in the Dungeons & part, is likely borderline impossible. Of course, Darkness etc.
>>
>>51980355
Yes, dipping for armor into cleric is stupidly broken, part of why multiclassing is only at the DM's option.
>>
>>51980380
>Fighter Sorlock with mobile, repelling blast and the new 'if hit by eldritch blast, slowed by10ft' invocations
>Or a roguelock with cunning action, or monklock with a couple of ki dashes and innate speed boost
Maximum kiting.

>>51980355
Single level dips solely for armour really shouldn't be allowed, but that mostly applies to wizards. Warlocks could just take a feat and get moderately armoured. Still, I don't think I'd allow it unless you took maybe two levels to get all the goodies.
>>
Do you allow spears to be used with PAM?
>>
>>51976156
>Ostensibly related to FR
More like 'Ostensibly related to everywhere'.
>>
>>51980433
No.
>>
>>51980433
Just what you see pal
>>
>>51980433
No reason why not, aside from them dealing an extra +1 damage when thrown without getting into an arguement of if you should add proficiency bonus to hit or not.

Quarterstaff is still shillelaghable.
>>
What flavor of Fighter is best for ripping, tearing and overall dealing maximum damage?
>>
>>51980542
I have no idea what you are you are talking about, none of that sounds like it has anything to do with PAM other than the quarterstaff and I don't know why that is relevant.
>>
>>51980573
I'd put my money on the Champion focused on 2H, but maybe someone will prove me wrong.
>>
>>51980580
Spear is almost identical to quarterstaff except
>Deals piercing damage
>Not shillelagh compatible
>Not PAM compatible
>1d6 instead of 1d4 damage when thrown, doesn't count as an improvised thrown weapon (Whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean).
>1 lb lighter
>8sp more expensive
>It's a spear, not a quarterstaff
>>
>>51980580
>>51980596
Oh, and, if you need me to explain further, all anon is asking is to remove the
>Not PAM compatible
Part of those differences.
>>
>>51980596
Why does being able to throw it matter at all? Are you under impression you can do a PAM bonus attack when throwing a quarterstaff?
>>
Is there a more healslut spell than warding bond ?
>>
>>51980616
The point is it doesn't fucking matter, which is why you should let anon use PAM with a spear.
>>
>>51980623
Why bring it up if it doesn't matter then?
>>
Friendly reminder that all Polearm Master users must be raped with a shovel shaft.
>>
>>51980420
> mobile or roguelock
> when you can just have phantom steed as tome sorlock and then dash around at 200ft while usibg your bonus action to quicken more eldritch blast
>>
>>51980573
Depends on how much fighting there is. If you have few fights and plenty of time to short rest, Battlemaster does more damage thanks to adding their superiority die to damage rolls. If you have a lot of fighting and can only short rest every once in a while, Champion with GWM beats anything.
>>
>>51980588
>trusting crits
just go bm and menacing attack everything bruh
>>
>>51980638
Good luck getting close enough to do that. After all it has been well established now that the polearm master is invincible as he could fight an infinite amount of suicidal kobolds without ever missing an attack and if you make an encounter other than infinite suicidal kobolds then you are bad a GM for doing an encounter other than what your players are perfectly built to kill.
>>
>>51980650
>>51980651
4 times per rest doesn't really look like damage to me.
>>
>>51980671
+5% chance to do something everyone can do looks like less to me
>>
>>51980660
I'll use Large size crossbows to launch the shaft, and have a nearby diviner wizard (with lucky feat, of course) replace the roll with a 20.
>>
>>51980689
Bzzzt, bad gm alert! Sorry you have made an encounter which is not 1hd creatures charging into melee.
>>
>>51980588
19-20 crit rate on greatsword only increase your damage output by around 0.35 per hit. So around 1.4 damage for all 4 hits..
>>
>>51980596
>doesn't count as an improvised thrown weapon (Whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean).
It means it has the thrown property, which means it doesn't count as an improvised weapon when you throw it. Though judging by
>>51980542
>them dealing an extra +1 damage when thrown without getting into an arguement of if you should add proficiency bonus to hit or not.
you haven't read the PHB rules on improvised weapons, so you're either lazy, illiterate or just plain retarded.
>>
>>51980700
Too late, prepare your anus. You'll probably like it anyway, the shaft counts as a polearm.
>>
>>51980689
Lucky doesn't work that way. Your meme build is weak.
>>
>>51978977
It's at least as much to support iconography. I.E. Wizards throwing fireballs and magic missiles.

Once you're rolling to hit, there's barely any difference between the average magic missile (14) and scorching ray (14.7 at 65% to hit) from the same spell slot.

Fire bolt is the same base numbers as eldritch blast. Poison spray is an extreme close range and con save targeting.
>>
>>51980724
Portent does. Lucky ensures I will have that 20. My meme build is stronger than yours.
>>
>>51980703
>only increase your damage output by around 0.35 per hit
Even when you consider that with GWM it also gives you a bonus attack?
>>
>>51980760
Lucky only lets you replace specific roles, your portent rolls in the morning are not one of them.
>>
>>51979086
Funny, but blade ward doesn't give a shit about that. Read it sometime.
>>
>>51980630
Because I'm proving that it doesn't matter.

I could just say 'It doesn't matter' but there wouldn't be any reason to believe me over, say, someone saying 'No, it matters.'
>>
>>51980760
start-of-the-day portent roll is not attack,ability check or saving throw. It's a blank roll. You can't use Lucky on that.
>>
>>51979247
>whether a certain effect triggered on all attack rolls or just attack actions because all it said was "attack".
Curious which effect this is.
>>
What's a fun mount for a hobgoblin warlord to ride?
>>
>>51980812
What about a boar?
>>
>>51980711
You're the one who sounds like you haven't read it if you haven't realized how fucked up the improvised weapon rules are.

They allow shit like netfighting, GWM crossbowing and throwing boulders for 1d4 damage.

It doesn't even specifically say you aren't going to get proficiency on the roll. You're proficient in quarterstaves, so you throw the quarterstaff, but it's now improvized, but it's EXACTLY like a quarterstaff, so you can get proficiency in it because, uhh.. It's a quarterstaff.

The improvized weapon rules are stupid shit. The DM should make any and all rulings on improvized weapons instead of using the improvized weapon rules, using it as a rough guideline and not following it to the exact, not allowing proficiency in unusual thrown attacks, assigning correct damage (usually just 1d4) to items and not allowing things such as netfighting.

So basically it's 'DM fiat' which means I can't really say anything objectively other than 'Well, it's 1d4 instead of 1d6 if you throw it by RAW.'
>>
>>51980760
You can't use Lucky to change your Portent. And Portent overrides Lucky.

>>51980755
Fire bolt and Eldritch blast do not compare and you should know that, EB is in another league entirely. Are you really going to dispute that fireball is the most damaging 3rd level spell? Seriously anon, just check the link I posted before and you'll see how damage type does affect spell balance. The more resisted the damage is, the more spells that deal it there are, and the less resisted, the less spells of that type there are, especially if we're talking about arcane casters. Clerics and paladins get loads of radiant damage, but that's their shtick.
>>
>every class has effectively a single one use per combat gimmick ability and the rest is attack/cantrip spam
>every class either effectively can't use it more than once or will suck if they do so

At least in PF, how shit it may be, I had more than one fucking option every turn. Why combat in a goddamn combat-focused RPG so boring?
>>
>>51980844
Have you considered instead playing a rogue, whose abilities are almost universally on a per-round basis?
>>
>>51980772
Let's see 18-20 is 15% chance...

So critical hits damage is 7*0.15 = 1.05 per hit (0.7 damage over normal critical) = 2.8 damage over BM or EK

Chance to get critical hit at least once in 1 attack = 1-(0.85^4) = 0.477

So average bonus attack damage is 0.477 * 2d6+5 = 5.724 average damage

So around 8.542 damage? It's weak sauce, since EK can get like 18.5 damage with haste.
>>
>>51980844
Because people hate 4e combat and at-will power.
>>
>>51980812
Gorgons are pretty awesome, and they work well thenatically (industrial hobgoblins with a steel beast).
>>
>>51980844
> PF
> Have more than one option every turn
Someone not playing martials. Their only option is "full attack the enemy", unless you want to suck.
>>
Speaking of at-will spells and only one viable action in combat, my Warlock's Eldritch Blast is pretty much the best spell at any moment. I tried dicking around with Arms of Hadar and Dissonant Whispers but they were underwhelming. Would it be a better idea to load up on non-combat spells like expeditious retreat or charm person?
>>
>>51980790
Well my initial confusion was that in your first reply to someone asking about using spears with PAM you didn't actually imply you were comparing them to staves at all. You just started going on about throwing them including the unhelpful comment of them doing +1 damage. This looked like you were talking about a straight damage increase as you didn't give any hint to the very specific context that you were comparing it to throwing a stave as an improvised weapon, something else that has nothing to do with PAM. Then added that you can use shille with staves at the end and that just looked like a non-sequitur by that point.

Also as far as the spear PAM question goes I would point out that the pike, the only piercing weapon that is effected by PAM can only use the AoO feature, not the bonus attack feature so I would argue the same would be true of a spear.
>>
>>51980839
>You're the one who sounds like you haven't read it if you haven't realized how fucked up the improvised weapon rules are.
They're not perfect, sure, but they're pretty fucking clear.
>They allow shit like netfighting
The fuck is this
>GWM crossbowing
You mean hitting someone in the face with a giant piece of wood really hard because you specialised in hitting people hard with heavy stuff? What's the issue?
>throwing boulders for 1d4 damage.
This is the only problem with the rules, the way I see it
>It doesn't even specifically say you aren't going to get proficiency on the roll. You're proficient in quarterstaves, so you throw the quarterstaff, but it's now improvized, but it's EXACTLY like a quarterstaff, so you can get proficiency in it because, uhh.. It's a quarterstaff.
But you're not using it as a quarterstaff, because quarterstaves aren't designed to be thrown. It's an improvised weapon, and unless you have tavern brawler you don't have proficiency in improvised weapons.
>not allowing proficiency in unusual thrown attacks
Again, you don't have proficiency unless you get Tavern Brawler
>assigning correct damage (usually just 1d4) to items
>usually just 1d4
Which is what the base rules do.

So yeah. I'm leaning towards retarded.
>>
>>51980911
Yes. Everything you will ever do as a caster warlock is Eldritch Blast.
Maybe Fireball once in a blue moon, but you'll just spam Eldritch Blast for 99% of every situation forever.
>>
>>51980638
I'm still all for saying
>Remove bonus action attack
>All polearms get the reaction attack part of PAM for free
>Spears get spear master for free (Might have some slight alterations)
>Greatswords get a cleave sort of feat for free
>Mauls get GWM for free, but no bonus attacks
>Bows get SS for free
>Crossbows get CBE for free, except hand crossbow's bonus attack doesn't add dex
etc

It will nerf people who capitalize fully on feats, buff people who don't take feats and thus were kinda shit and allow people to switch weapons more often if they want rather than locking themselves into one weapon type.
>>
>>51980925
Ew gross, why would I bother with Fireball? I'd rather use Dispel Magic to fuck over opposing mages.
>>
>>51980939
Actually scratch that, I'm picking up Counterspell instead. My Warlock has Alert so he can just no-sell any surprise mage attacks.
>>
>>51980939
If you're facing 20+ mobs then it's pretty damn useful.
But other than that, just stick to Eldritch Blast. Also, you'll pretty much never run into a situation where Dispel Magic would be better than just full out Eldritch Blasting someone.
>>
>>51980924
>You mean hitting someone in the face with a giant piece of wood really hard because you specialised in hitting people hard with heavy stuff? What's the issue?

I believe he is referring to the retarded claim that if you have the ranged fighting style you should get the bonus to hit, which helps you get away with using GWMs extra damage, even when you hit someone with the crossbow itself as you are technically using a ranged weapon to attack. So you know, the sort of thing a sane GM shuts down immediately and only exists in theorycrafting idiots minds.
>>
>>51980841
>Clerics and paladins get loads of radiant damage, but that's their shtick.
That's my entire point. The spells are balanced so that classes are well served by using their schtick. Damage type is a lesser concern.
>>
>>51980958
> Warlock
> counterspell
With only 2-3 spell slot? The enemy mage will just counterspell your counterspell.
>>
>>51980854
Oh, the class where all the abilities are either strictly utilitarian, boost movement in a game where the best course of action in stand and whack the enemy, or are borderline useless?

>>51980902
I did play martials and actually had fun. Even without investing, there were built-in combat maneuvers with actual impact, defensive fighting, meaningful difference between one-handing and two-handing a weapon, and reasons to grab a specific weapon.

I'm not praising PF, it's shit and I hate it, but combat in 5e is even worse because it's fucking boring.
>>
>>51981006
>>51980844
>>
>>51980841
Actually Lucky override portent. Because lucky let you choose the result dice you want.
>>
>>51981003
A spell wasted on counterspelling my counterspell is a spell not used on blasting the party :^)
>>
>>51980841
>Fire bolt and Eldritch blast do not compare and you should know that, EB is in another league entirely.
You're right. The ability to damage and ignite objects must be why fire bolt doesn't deal more damage, since it has a more resisted damage type.

Same components, same school, same range, same type of attack, same damage dice.
>>
>>51981006
> Combat Manuevers in PF
> actual impact

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Someone never get pass the rusty dagger shank town.
>>
>>51980913
I wouldn't say that at all. The pike is a completely different weapon to the spear, the fact it's piercing is barely worth anything.

Though, it's worth mentioning the pike to mean 'PAM wasn't intended to work with pokey sticks even though it wouldn't break anything'

Comparing the spear to an almost indentical weapon that gets PAM is probably the best point to make, because it shows that you're pretty much just refluffing a quarterstaff. Remove the 'thrown' property and all you have is PAM except with piercing instead of bludgeoning and no shillelagh compatibility, which is worse, but it works.

>>51980924
You can use sharpshooter AND GWM at the same time with the crossbow as long as the crossbow doesn't lose its identity by being used as a improvized weapon.

You can deal damage and avoid disadvantage with a net by making a melee attack with it. This one doesn't even state the net becomes an improvized weapon, it just deals damage.

And I wouldn't say it's pretty clear that you lose proficiency the moment it has the word 'improvized' involved. It never says you don't have proficiency, it's just assumed you don't have proficiency with things that aren't weapons, and the quarterstaff is a melee weapon you may have proficiency in regardless of if you hit with it or throw it. It should clearly state you don't get your proficiency as a bonus if it were to be clear.
>>
>>51981049
Numbers are tweakable. Lack of possibilities and incentives to do something other than damage is another deal.
>>
>>51980844
Use the environment. Use the traps. Prepare an action. Dodge. Grapple an enemy. Be a fucking caster. Dash. Tell your DM to stop making shit encounters where there's no reason to do anything but stand and whack repeatedly.
>>
>>51980839
>throwing boulders for 1d4 damage
Ok this has been bugging me since I saw it in another thread. I saw someone complaining about how when he was throwing 3 ton boulders it was only doing d4 damage. How the fuck are people throwing 3 ton boulders around? When I do the lifting calculations an enlarged Goliath can lift 1.2 tonnes but surely that is using the entire extent of his strength just lift the damn thing. How is he going to throw it in any effective way? He can only just about lift it, let alone throw it.
>>
>Quarterstaff with Shillelagh and Polearm Master
Does the bonus action attack do 1d4, because it is enabled by PAM and thus follows it, or 1d8 because Shillelagh causes the attacks of the weapon to be that?
>>
>>51980859
I don't doubt the power of Haste, I do doubt the usefulness of something you'll only get at 13th level. Before that, all fighters depend on a caster to haste them.

And you see, I look at those numbers and I understand them, but they just don't line up with what I experience in actual play. I DM for a champion fighter, and the dude just wrecks anything he gets close enough to. With 10% crit chance, 20 Str, Extra Attack and GWM, he can easily do above 40 damage with a simple Attack action, provided he hits twice. About 19% of the time he'll also crit, doing even more damage and enabling the bonus attack. Even if he doesn't crit, most combat encounters are composed of several monsters, most of which by themselves don't have enough HP to survive this onslaught, and killing also enables the bonus attack. If he Action Surges on top of that, it can shred a powerful monster or NPC to pieces in seconds! Trust me, I've had this happen enough times that now I've learned to increase boss and major villain HP so that they don't die anticlimactically.

It can go even further: with only 2 levels of barbarian, you get extra damage and advantage whenever you want.
>>
>>51981087
>muh 20 damage barrel
>muh recource tax
>muh DPR
>muh caster supremacy
>>
>>51981117
Any fighter can do above 40 damage with extra attack. Crit only increase damage dice is really a downer in play.
>>
>>51981108
1d4, Polearm master simply states the die you use, it isn't effected by the die the weapon uses.
>>
>>51981044
Any idea why EB is not on the wizard spell list ?
>>
>>51981095
Honestly I just throw regular sized rocks, apples and shit like that

It's pretty awesome murdering gobbos Lucky Number Slevin style

I once threw a goblin corpse at another goblin and it was pretty cash, poor fucker was scared out of his mind
>>
>>51981117
I mean, clearly you haven't run into a decent paladin or a sorcadin for that matter.
Or just an UA ranger against their favoured opponent.
Or a lockbard with Moonbow invocation.
>>
>>51981145
Because it is meant to be unique to warlocks, after all it used to just be a spell like ability they had rather than a spell.
>>
>>51981145
Eldritch blast is the warlock power. It was the 3.5 warlock's sneak attack. It was a built in always get this ability in both previous edition warlocks. It's downright odd that it's optional and not a class feature for 5e.

Basically, you're asking why fighters don't get sneak attack.
>>
>>51981095
Don't forget bear barbarian and bull's strength, or possibly some sort of magical item and maybe another source of enlargement such as treeform.UA ranger

Typically though you should only expect maybe a half ton boulder being thrown or something.

>>51981126
>'Using your environment' means dropping your weapons to pick up barrels instead
>Needing resources to use prepared actions/dodge/grapples/environment/traps
>DPR is something that matters if your DM still thinks you're all playing 4e, otherwise it might actually make sense to try scaring a thinning enemy squad off with intimidation to remind them that they're all going to fucking die even if they do wound your party immensely
>Caster supremacy is a thing, but mostly in the sense they have a higher skillcap. Basically saying 'Stop playing low-skill characters if you want to use skill'.
>>
>>51980573
Champion: Best no-resource damage, for long slogs and generally being braindead. They're better for dips, and until they get 'survivor' or improved critical they lack the scaling that battlemaster and eldritch knight get.
Battlemaster: Utility, better burst damage.
Eldritch Knight: A bit of utility, mostly tanking.
UA fighters: Nah.

>>51980573
>>51980772
Any good fighter looking for good DPR output should have PAM+GWM, at which point they honestly don't care much about the bonus attack since it's only +3 damage (+6 on a crit, or +9 if half-orc)

The best fighter?
PAM Oathbreaker.
>>
>>51980981
Yes? So arcane casters have a broad variety of damage types to play with, but most of the spells they can choose will deal a more resisted type, since spells that deal force, thunder and psychic are much less numerous. Spell damage is balanced both by classes and by resistances, even if the former has priority.

>>51981044
But different classes. Come on anon, this isn't difficult to understand.

>>51981030
Portent:
>You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these foretelling rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll.
Lucky:
>Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

If my understanding is correct, it should go like this:
>lucky rogue decides to stab diviner
>diviner chooses to replace rogue's attack with a 3, so he misses
>outcome is determined, rogue can't use Lucky
Or
>unknowing rogue rolls to attack, rolls poorly
>decides to use a luck point to get another result, which is better
>doesn't matter become Portent foresaw he rolled a 3 anyway
>>
>>51981117
Then let's go with level 8.

Champion with GWM will do
(2d6+15)+(2d6*0.1) = 22.7
Hitting 2 times is 45.4
Chance to crit at least once is 19%
0.19 * 22.7 = 4.313

So total is = 49.713 damage

Battlemaster with similar build will do..
(2d6+15)+(2d6*0.05) = 22.35
Hitting 2 times is = 44.7
Chance to critical hit at least once is 9.75%
0.097*22.35 = 2.167

So total = 46.86 damage

Only 2.853 different in damage, before BM use any maneuver. If you are smart and use stuff like Rally attack on rogue, you can easily get like +23.5 damage per 1 of your manuever.
>>
>PAM/GWM theorycrafting
the worst part of any thread
>>
>>51981191
Read the conversation before posting
>>
>>51981318
I believe RAI is that although you use portent, the roll still happens and then the roll is replaced.

>Lucky rogue decides to stab diviner
>Diviner: 'Lol no it's 3 now'
>Lucky rogue rolls 1d20, gets a 15, 15 is replaced by 3
>Lucky rogue decides to use a point of luck
>Lucky rogue rolls 1d20, gets 13, decides to use 13 between the 3 (previously 15) and 13
>>
File: 123124.jpg (102KB, 763x280px) Image search: [Google]
123124.jpg
102KB, 763x280px
I have a huge boner for luck builds, is there a class dedicated to rerolls and shit?
>>
>>51981318
>outcome is determined, rogue can't use Lucky

This is the part where you get it wrong. The rogue can still use Lucky. You replace attack with a 3, the outcome still hasn't been determine yet (determine the result of dice outcome comes after rolling the dice).
>>
>>51981318
>But different classes. Come on anon, this isn't difficult to understand.
That doesn't really matter. You think Bard's care what class's spell list the spell came from? A level 1 spell is a level 1 spell. A cantrip is a cantrip. Guiding bolt is the same (band of, more or less) power as chromatic orb.

>Lucky
You have to use portent before the roll is made. You can use lucky whenever you want, so you can still choose to use your lucky d20 or the portent roll.
>>
>>51981379
halfling diviner with lucky
you already knew this
>>
>>51981379
lucky feat halfling diviner
>>
>>51981006
>staying in the front line as a rogue
lol right, enjoy dying.

>>51981143
I was being somewhat conservative, most of the time he does between 50 and 80 damage in a single round of combat, depending on getting the bonus attack, and without action surging. Action Surge takes it closer to 100 and such.
>>
>>51981351
Fuck you. I'm the one you asked. It's my goddamn conversation.
>>
>>51981348
Good thing we are past 400
>>
>>51981379
Diviner Wizard lets you do the opposite and declare preordained values for would-be rolls.
Wild Magic Sorcerer gets a bit of luck/probability manipulation stuff, and is the closest in lore, but effectively it's not a ton.
Lucky feat for anyone.
Cleric to Bane or Bless for bonuses or maluses.
Bard for similar bonuses or maluses.
>>
>>51981400
See >>51981340
Any fighter would do close to 100 with action surge.
>>
>>51981400
>his tank can't keep aggro
Get better party members, faggot.
>>
>>51981379
Champion with crosssbow with GWM + Sharpshooter.

-10 to hit, +20 to damage. You'll only ever hit on crits half the time if you have low strength (for extra low hit chance chucklefuckery)
>>
>>51981340
For best champion-ship value, you take GWM, half-orc, and find a way to get advantage. Use a greatsword. PAM still has value, but it's considerably closer to sentinel or a straight ASI like this. Then you actually consider accuracy. Holy shit is your damage calc worthless.
>>
>>51981403
You pretty dense then. I'll help you :

Would wizard be stronger if EB was added to its spell list ? Or would it have no effect on the strength of the class ?
>>
>>51981318
>>51981384
Keep in mind that not even Critical and Fumble is immune to Lucky. The outcome "phase" always come after replacing roll.
>>
>>51981444
It must suck playing in a magical fantasy setting where taking -5 to hit never means you miss.

My DM doesn't even have me roll for attacks anymore. I just point out which enemy I want to kill and roll a handful of random die for damage.
>>
>>51981436
You need Tavern Brawler, too. Making a melee attack with a crossbow turns it into an Improvised Weapon.
>>
>>51981044
Eldritch blast deals force damage, can trigger on-hit effects several times (Such as fuck up someone's concentration) and can attack multiple enemies if you need to finish off an almost-dead person or have a swarm of smaller enemies.

'Being able to set things on fire' doesn't compare when you could just shoot a fire arrow instead.
>>
>>51981489
Even if it's being used as an improvized weapon, it's still a heavy ranged weapon by identity and thus before you make the attack with the improvized weapon you can apply the boosts. The weapon's identity doesn't change because of how you're using it, much like how throwing a weapon doesn't turn it into a ranged weapon, even if it's making a ranged attack.

You might lose proficiency by RAI but eh, you weren't going to hit anyway.
>>
That isn't what was asked, don't call other people dense when you ask the wrong fucking question. His answer was correct to the question "why is EB not on the wizard list".
>>
>>51981522
It's more about getting an extra d3 damage.
>>
>>51981450
The fuck has that got to do with the price of bread in Egypt? EB is better than Fire Bolt because it has the same fucking numbers but a better damage type, proving that the numbers aren't primarily based on the damage type.

Lastly, most of the time EB is worse for a wizard because the damage type doesn't matter and they're better off using a single attack roll because of Familiar Help-spam. Sometimes they'd be better off because off fire resistance or immunity. Depending on how you deal with resistance/immunity, they could be better off with only one attack cantrip and more utility, but that's a nebulous thing.

Long rant short, the reason EB is not a wizard spell has nothing to do with game balance of the sort you're asking about.
>>51981501
Fire bolt can burn mummies. And that was sarcasm. And you can't just "shoot a fire arrow."
>>
I should just add 'improvised' to my filter list. So sick of these retarded ideas no one would actually run. Can't you guys just try and actually get in groups and play real characters instead of talking about the same stupid theory builds all day?
>>
>>51981540
That's only going to work for unarmed strikes, really.

>>51981562
Unless mummies have a specific vulnerability, fire bolts can't burn things that're worn or carried.

It's hard to tell if it's sarcasm after some number of threads ago two people were arguing back and forth over why 'firebolt is totally overpowered because you can burn shit with it at a distance'
>>
>>51981590
>Guy asks to play a stupid build that can only be done through an all-or-nothing improvisation cheese that isn't even good but more of a joke build that isn't entirely useless, or a halfling lucky diviner
What if they didn't want to be a halfling lucky diviner because they'd read the threads before and already knew about it?
>>
>>51981590
We're so far past the bump limit I just don't give a shit anymore.

>>51981599
>Unless mummies have a specific vulnerability,
Wouldn't want to spoil this for everybody, but mummies are vulnerable to fire.
>>
>>51981633
REEEEEEE FIRE IS A SHIT ELEMENT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51981633
In that case, best course of action is to fireball the fuck out of everything. No time for cantrips.
>>
Reading the Warlock UA, I feel like I want to make a Tank lock.

Go Warlock, pick fey, and take Green Lords gift.

Now go full life cleric and find access to heavy armour. Go with a shield, and whatever pact you want (maybe tome for defensive cantrips I dunno.) And be fucking unkillable to anything that can't 1-shot you.

That invocation seems retarded. I actually hope I am reading it wrong. But I am genuinely considering it, because I am in a Party with a Cleric, a support Bard, a Paladin, and a Druid. Literally everybody has healing, and this invocation would be fucking bullshit the later into the game we get.
>>
>>51981678
>>51981678
>>51981678
New thread
>>51981678
>>51981678
>>51981678
>>
File: 1440034014175.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1440034014175.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
What wacky shit can I do with Familiars? I was hoping to use one as a "scout" because none of my party is particularly stealthy.
>>
>>51981693
If it's just mummies, they aren't dangerous until they get close, and they're pretty damn slow. Plenty of time for cantrips.
>>
>>51981705
Less powerful than you might think.
The best way to be a tank is to mitigate/avoid damage, not soak and heal back up.
>>
>>51981802
>>
>>51981810
>>51981802
Pay attention, dammit.
>>51981736
>>51981678
>>
>>51976204
>feigns devotion to the current user to further Orcus' goals to kill everything in the multiverse

Huh. One of our party actually has that as a goal already. I wonder what can be done with this...
Thread posts: 440
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.