[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Armies Clash Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 455
Thread images: 45

File: DnD.png (817KB, 800x486px) Image search: [Google]
DnD.png
817KB, 800x486px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.
>>51904454

What class do you play the least, and how come?
>>
How would you feel about a Theme option for 5th edition, for higher powered campaigns? For reference, Themes were an option introduced midway through 4e that anyone could take, that added features at 1st, 5th, and 10th level.
>>
>>51913748
Monk, I absolutely hate the flavour and context of a kung fu zen-monk romping around a fantasy context.

As a GM, my distaste for them is so great that I only allow them in games if they are coupled with the Far-traveller background, to represent that these skills HAD to have come from an exotic, far away land.

I know it's kind of No-Fun of me, but it is one of my pet peeves. A player in one of the games i'm playing in is a Gnome Monk, whos character has no thought put into it to link him to that kind of class.

He is just a Gnome merchant who is decent at a fist fight, and apparently this eventually allows him to control his natural magic to leap 15 feet vertically, channel his inner chakra to heal himself, and become so zen-peaceful that enemies do not target him in combat due to the serene aura of ki he harnesses.

And also this gnome merchant medidates every rest, he doesn't know why.

The GM knows it pisses me off, so allows the shitty character concept.
>>
>>51913748
>What class do you play the least, and how come?
Druid. I hate their flavour, I hate hippies, I hate enviromentalists, I hate the fact majority of them have no reason to adventure outside of their forests.
>>
We'll get another arcana tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be a complete fucking disappointment.
>>
>>51913748
Never played a wizard or sorcerer. That 1d6 hit die is a huge turn away for me
>>
Is there any place where I can find a bunch of ambient music (no lyrics, except for maybe a chorus)? I am lacking cave music, boss fights music and so on.
Also anyone knows a good theme for a Demon Invocator Wizard boss fight?
>>
So the GM has dumped us in a bullshit situation involving an unbeatable, specifically bred killing machine. Session ended with us trapped with serious injuries and this walking bullshit machine about to make mincemeat of us.

It's currently looking like our only chance of stopping a party wipe is the cleric's divine intervention. Due to their god being completely opposed to the killing machine's origin, if he's requested to smite it and the intervention succeeds, it will definitely happen.

Is there any way of increasing the chances of divine intervention succeeding? I think it's only an 11% chance of success, so is there any way of increasing that?
>>
>>51913748
Rogue. I just can't get into the concepts. The closest I can get is thug murderer dude, but I'd rather run that as fighter.
>>
>>51914201
I samurai jack that shit up
>>
>>51915577
Undercover DM detected, You just want to prevent it from working, you bastard!
>>
>>51914159
IIRC themes replaced existing features/utilities and did not actually make you stronger. But it's possible I recall incorrectly.

>>51914201
Do you allow the Middle-Eastern-inspired wizards? Do you use the Arabian genies/rakshasas/elementals? How about the Oriental ogre mages? Can your characters use scimitars/spiked chains/splint armor?

At some point you must accept that D&D is a ridiculous kitchen sink and the monk only feels out-of-place because it was a more recent addition than the others.

And it's not like the "European" elements are internally consistent, either. Plate armor was invented centuries after firearms. Shields became smaller and disappeared along with the rise of better armor, and were in fact mostly still used by swashbucklers (hint: read the name slowly). Leather armor that isn't scale or lamellar didn't actually exist. Studded leather is someone's fevered dream. And even the weapons that did exist use entirely wrong terminology (don't get me started on swords).

You can disallow elements you personally don't like when you DM, but you simply can't use any consistency- or themed-related arguments to justify them. The setting makes absolutely no sense from any perspective.
>>
>>51915303
>Not realizing druids were fertility priests
>Not playing a class out of hatred for the real-world environment
>Thinking druids don't have a reason to leave the forest but rogues have a reason to leave big cities and barbarians have a reason to leave their tribes
Wew lad
>>
Anyone got the roll 20 Monster Manual tokens and images? It does not seem to be in the trove.
>>
>>51916413
this
>>
>>51916413
It's an older version so I don't know if anything is different but here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh3htdvixzytyip/Tokens.rar?dl=0
>>
Has anyone played a Stone sorcerer yet from one of the latest UAs?

I've never played a gish before and they look kind of fun, wanted to get some opinions.
>>
>>51916413
Someone on the Discord bought it and said he was ripping it, but it's a slow process (since there are like 400-something tokens to rip).
>>
>>51913748
>Already existing thread
>>51912984
>>
Other thread is at bump limit and going down, time to wipe of the dust from this one.
>>
In a bit of an argument with a player.

During downtime, they want to make their own poison.
I've ruled that according to the rules of crafting, it takes a day of downtime and 1 gp to produce a single dose of poison.
When an enemy is struck by a weapon laced with this poison, they take a save of DC 8 + maker's proficiency + maker's Int modifier.
If this save is failed, they are Poisoned for 1 minute.
Applying poison to a weapon takes the Use an Object action.

They say that this is unfair. They want at least two of the following as changes, or they're demanding that I let them change their archetype:
>No cost. Ingredients for poison are common place, apparently.
>More than one dose produced in a day. He said ten to start with but I outright said fuck that, so he suggested five instead.
>Bonus action to apply the poison to a weapon instead of an action, since he is playing an Assassin Rogue.
>No save. The target is immediately Poisoned for 1 minute.

Are any of these acceptable demands, or am I in the right and is the player just trying to push their luck?
>>
>>51918027
>>No cost. Ingredients for poison are common place, apparently.
1 gp is cheap compared to the 150 gp poison in the PHB.
>>More than one dose produced in a day. He said ten to start with but I outright said fuck that, so he suggested five instead.
I think it's possible to make more than one in parallel. I'd max at three though.
>>Bonus action to apply the poison to a weapon instead of an action, since he is playing an Assassin Rogue.
Isn't that weaker than using your interact with object?
>>No save. The target is immediately Poisoned for 1 minute.
Stupid as fuck, do not allow. I'd also allow a save at the end of each round for the poisoned target.
>>
>>51913748
I like all of the classes, but I think barbarian.
When I want to play a tough character I'll play a fighter or a paladin, and I honestly think it's kind of difficult to make a barbarian that isn't your typical dumb tough viking-type.
>>
>>51918027
He's bloody pushing his luck. No save? That's a fuck you to all wizards, ever.

If he could create 10 doses of poison he'll give it to his friends. Imagine what an entire party could do with poison for 1 minute, no save. Think about it. It will be impossible to balance encounters if you don't spam enemies with immunity or resistance against poison.

Firstly, if he wants to get the ingredients for free he has to pick them himself. In the forest. That is going to take time. 1 GP is rather low, though. 5 for one dose and a maximum of 2 doses per day sounds like a decent price.

Bonus action to apply poison sounds like bullshit. Imagine trying to pick up a bottle, uncork it, then dipping a rag into the bottle and finally oiling it all over your daggers. That takes time. At least one turn. It should, however, last a while, excepting rain or the like.
>>
>>51918125
Object interaction =/= Use an Object action
OI is stuff like draw a sword. UaO is stuff like toss down caltrops.
>>
File: 1421873358531s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1421873358531s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>51918152
>That's a fuck you to all wizards, ever.

That's pretty much what the 5th Edition rules are as a whole, though.
>>
>>51918181
Whoops, misread. I'd use the same rules as the basic poison from the PHB.
>>
>>51918190
>5e wizards are bad
>>
>>51918125
The 150 gp poison is outright garbage, which is why I decided to give the guy a better deal than that.

75 gp and 30 days to craft one or three instances of DC-10-or-1d4-poison-damage is awful. But I get the feeling that the player's trying to take advantage of my rule's fudging and generosity.
>>
>>51918247
I'm saying that 1 gp is a reasonable price.
>>
>>51918244
> slay living deals a shitton of damage
> disintegrate deals a shitton of damage
> wizard spells are nerfed to hell
> arcane traditions force you to specialize because 5e has shitty charop besides "pick this subclass"
> no interesting builds

Yeah I would say 5e fucked them over pretty badly.
>>
>>51918290
>I miss 3.5 caster supremacy
>>
File: PathfinderRPGLogo_500.jpg (40KB, 500x128px) Image search: [Google]
PathfinderRPGLogo_500.jpg
40KB, 500x128px
>>51918290
>>
File: i love pathfinder.png (349KB, 1600x491px) Image search: [Google]
i love pathfinder.png
349KB, 1600x491px
>>51918290
>>
>>51918290
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>51913748
so you guys think we'll get cucked on the mystic again and not get it this week?
>>
>>51918290
>Missing optimization
>>
File: DnD Oppon.png (439KB, 474x795px) Image search: [Google]
DnD Oppon.png
439KB, 474x795px
Planning on putting my players through a really punishing gauntlet tonight. They're gonna have a powerful enemy chasing them to top it off. I want to really ratchet up the intensity. What are some good gauntlet puzzles/traps/encounters besides just fights?
>>
>>51918427
It's only safe to assume so at this point.

>>51918027
He's a dick who feels entitled to extra class features that aren't in the PHB.

>>51918190
>>51918290
>Wizards are only slightly overpowered in 5e! Q.Q
>>
>>51918482
>He's a dick who feels entitled to extra class features that aren't in the PHB.

Perfectly fair given how shitty the """"options""" are in 5e.

Fighter options are pretty much, pick which of the three archetypes you want, and maybe pick some of the feats. Ability score picks are basically non options and there is nothing in the way of interseting combat maneuvers if you are not a battlemaster. Combat is bland as fuck and based entierly around 4e-style resource management which defeats half the purpose of playing a martial. The game is full of stupid-ass metacurrency where you spend abstract "superiority dice" because the developers are too stupid to create balanced abilities.
>>
>>51918586
Limited usage is a form of balance.
Or are spell slots also "abstract, stupid-ass metacurrrency"?
>>
>>51918586
>>
>>51918313
Except you can have balanced wizards without reducing everything to different flavors of damage that don't even matter.
>>
>>51913748
I haven't played a barbarian, bard, paladin, ranger, monk, sorcerer, or wizard yet.
Bard is the only one of those that I've never even come up with a character concept for to potentially join a game with. I'm just not very interested in them.
>>
File: ____skeptical_girl.png (493KB, 481x541px) Image search: [Google]
____skeptical_girl.png
493KB, 481x541px
>>51918612
Spell slots represent the expenditure of magical energy, something that wizards and druids are aware of.

Spending superiority dice represents nothing but metacurrency bull shit.

That's the difference.

Deal with it.
>>
File: smug anime girl.png (253KB, 568x638px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.png
253KB, 568x638px
>>51918659
Ah, so there's no difference other than "earlier editions had spell slots so I don't mind them".
Good to know.
>>
>>51918428
Hey now, character optimization isn't a bad thing provided it's not taken too far.

Playing a kobold and choosing your class/abilities/playstile to get the most out of what a kobold can do is a great idea.

Creating pun pun and destroying your GM's world isn't.
>>
>>51916347
>monk only feels out-of-place because it was a more recent addition than the others.
The Monk class is older than the Cleric you soggy head of broccoli.
>>
I'm making a pure WIS cleric with Magic Initiate Druid but I'm having trouble deciding my Cantrips.

So far I've got Shillelagh and Guidance but I'm not sure what my other two Cleric and last Druid one should be.
>>
>>51918659
Superiority dice represent the extra effort of doing that action you pleb.
>>
>>51918686
>pun pun

is this some story or just a retarded name for a retarded gamebreaker
>>
>>51918734
Nope. Monks were first introduced in Blackmoor as a subclass of cleric.

>[Monks]: Originally introduced in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor supplement. Appropriately enough, it was a sub-class of cleric. A lot of the familiar tropes for the class were already present in 1975: High Wis required, largely lawful, no armor but AC that improves with level, multiple unarmed attacks and scaling fist damage (that tops out at 4d10 at level 16), slow fall, dodging ranged attacks, charm resistance, Quivering Palm... yet curiously had thief skills, a d4 hit die, and proficiency with ALL weapons. ALL of them. Clearly the class had not yet settled.
>>
>>51918811
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pun-Pun

Educate thyself.
>>
>>51914159
Themes were in part transitioned to a core mechanic/flavor of 5th edition called the background.

While they don't quite scale with level or offer a tactical or utility mechanic with measurable effect they do contain story related abilities and provide you with about half of your starting skill, language, or tool proficiency.
>>
>>51918811
Pun Pun's the name given to a busted 3.5 build that let you turn a... I think level 3 Kobold into literal God by combining various splatbooks and very literal RAW into breaking the rules.
>>
>>51913748
I never play Wizard, Sorceror, or Druid.
Mages just aren't my thing.
>>
>>51918856
Fuck me, sorry about that, left a trip on from another thread a board over.
>>
File: 1487613850139.gif (580KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1487613850139.gif
580KB, 300x169px
>>51918824
Shit, I guess I'm the soggy vegetable. I'm sure it was one of the "common" or "classic" sounding classes it predated, and I just couldn't remember the right one for my quip.
In any case, it's old as shit.
>>
Hey bo/tg/uys.
I'm going to play in an upcoming campaign and I've decided to try out the new Hexblade warlock.

Going to play as a halforc. DM has also allowed multiclassing.
Is Sorcerer the best bet for a multiclass?
Or should I just go pure?

I was thinking either GOO with the Flail invocation or Fiend Pact with Mace of Dispater.
Just unsure which'll turn out better/has more interesting options.
>>
>>51918683
Except spell slots are fucking gay shit. So are spell points, and similar shit.

What it should be is, you are 8th level? You can cast 8 spells per day. That's it. None of this keeping track of a whole string of numbers for how many spells you can cast per day. It's overly complicated and only sticks around because every edition of D&D has done it.

Oh wait. 4e didn't do it.

So the sacred cow has already been slaughtered. Time to gut it and cut it up for meat and use it for something better.

That doesn't mean that resource management si good for fighters.

>>51918788
So why aren't they based on Constitution?

The answer is, because your argument is fucking bullshit
>>
>>51913748
The class I play the least is Paladin in 5e.
I used to LOVE playing paladin, but mainly because bow paladin was a thing back in Pathfinder.

Also, Paladin feels way too nova in this edition. I've always viewed Paladin as the old, dependable that will never falter. Not "blow my entire load in a round but also turn whatever I'm hitting into a smoldering fucking crater"
>>
>>51918937
>bo/tg/uys
wat

>>51918962
>4e didn't do it
4e wasn't exactly a success story
>>
>>51918986
>wat

I don't know, I'm slightly drunk and I panicked.
Got any input on my minor dilemma?
>>
Can anyone do me a solid? I'm looking for the homebrew Oath of Love for paladins. If you post or link to it, I'll love you forever.
>>
>>51919020
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlZVplZTVZYjdLTHc/view

I just googled it
>>
>>51915577
Your DM obviously has some anti-bullshit planned.
>>
>>51919004
We are fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls here.

Sorcerer makes little sense for a melee character. I'd take fighter 3 or 4 or go pure. If you can justify it in-game, paladin would be strong.
>>
>>51919081
It'd be hard to justify either Fiend pact or GOO going paladin all of the sudden.
Fighter 3 or 4? Would leave me with a lot less spell slots to pseudo-smite with compared to sorcerer for example.
>>
>>51918986
>4e wasn't exactly a success story

But it had the best spellcasting rules of any D&D edition.
>>
>>51919148
Why do you think so?
>>
>>51919148
>Opinion
>>
>>51919059
This is pretty cool, but im kind of upset there's no Sailor Moon reference.
>>
File: implying.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>51919081
>ca/tg/irls
>>
>>51918924
Looks like Monk and Thief are both 1975 classes. Thief in Greyhawk and Monk from Blackmoor.
>>
>>51919184
1. I don't make up the stupid board demonyms
2. There are, in fact, female humans on this board
>>
>>51919113
I thought you said you were going to play Hexblade.

>>51918937
>I'm going to play in an upcoming campaign and I've decided to try out the new Hexblade warlock.

I think you're more than slightly drunk and you should probably consider these questions when you're sober, or at least literate.
>>
>>51919161
>>51919165

I'm also curious why you think this?
>>
>>51919273
>I think you're more than slightly drunk and you should probably consider these questions when you're sober, or at least literate.
Not that guy but that statement is 100% coherent. Maybe youre the drunk one?
>>
For a Long Death Monk, what's a good way to get reaction attacks in assuming you're using your SPOOK AURA as an action on most turns?

Sentinel seems like a good choice for a "tanky" Monk.
>>
>>51919288
You can't be a hexblade/GOO or hexblade/fiend pact. They're all patrons. You pick one.
>Not that guy
You know what? I totally believe that. There's plenty of stupid to go around.
>>
>>51919273
>I thought you said you were going to play Hexblade.
Aye I fucked up, I was trying to say that I'll be playing a warlock using invocations from the UA. I may or may not be pretty drunk.

I'm still on the fence on whether to go GOO or Fiend with the new invocations however.
Mostly because it's less MAD than going Hexblade with that invocation and I dislike 2handed weps.

Though I'd have to waste a invocation slot to get Mage Armor when not going Hexblade.
>>
>>51918027
What you're offering them is overpowered.

1gp for a single fucking dose? Really? That's like beggar's money.
One save and then poisoned for a minute on hit? ON HIT? That's like.. I can barely compare it to anything. Imagine getting 'vicious mockery' for free every round, except better without any d4 damages.

It should take an action to apply and last perhaps 10 minutes or so, so you can use it before a battle but it's harder to use in a battle. A thief can use it as a bonus action.

It should cost more, or even better, they have to find certain herbs and can't buy it. They have to pick the herbs within 24 hours, and nobody will sell it due to illegal considerations, though rogue's guild members might teach them how to cultivate it.
The effect would be that if they fail they take 1d6 (2d6 or 3d6 if they do really well and at later levels) poison damage at the start of each turn and are poisoned, but they can save again at the end of each of their turns.

Also, if you get extra attack, you can only possibly have someone make a save due to a weapon once in a round. If you use two-weapon-fighting, it's possible to make two seperate people make saves, but not the same person.

Well, okay, maybe I'm being overly harsh, but the above prevents it from becoming a straight-up buff and more of a 'you have to be prepared'

What they're asking for is spoiled rotten.
>>
>>51919377
>it's less MAD than going Hexblade
All three of the options have to use Strength for their special weapon. You could multiclass one level in monk to use the Mace of Dispater as a monk weapon though.
>>
what would be the best way to multiclass a grave domain cleric
>>
>>51919413
Oh right I fucking forgot that only Hexblade get the "use charisma on your wep" thing that doesn't work with their special invocation.
That shit is a bit fucked.

Multiclassing into monk feels wonky as fuck, though I'll keep that in mind.
The stats I have to work with is 15, 16, 16, 14, 14, 11. DM specified us to roll stats since he's been telling us that it's going to be a bit more lethal than usual.

Of course, this probably means that going a bladelock is a dumb fucking idea but I felt like trying it.
Since I was aiming to go halforc, that gives me an 18 strength to mess around with so that is covered fairly well.
>>
>>51919474
>those stats
you can't die
>>
>>51918427
>mystic coming out ever
I think they are enjoying pissing off the psionic players off to ever release it.
>>
>>51919489
It's going on a melee warlock with a d8 hitdie and at best +2 dex.
Pretty sure I can die fairly well if I get poor RNG.

It feels like /tg/ overestimates stats.
>>
>>51919474
You can start with 18 str, 16 con, 16 cha, 14 dex, 14 wis, and 11 int. I think Hexblade for starting with medium armor is pretty good and you could totally use the greatsword.

If not that, you could start with 14+2 str, 15+1 con, 16 cha, 16 dex, 14 wis or int, 11 the other. Use that for fiend and you're also getting some temp HP or use it for GOO and you have a stronger, reach weapon to let you skirmish better, but you'll have to provide your own Temp HP like with armor of agathys.
>>
File: 1475470673591.jpg (456KB, 2200x1670px) Image search: [Google]
1475470673591.jpg
456KB, 2200x1670px
scrub gm here, starting up a local game of storm king's thunder with friends. what are some must-know pointers or things to avoid when playing SKT?
>>
>>51919285
>Why do you think that?
>Why do YOU think that?
>>
>>51919517
For reference, my standard bladelock recommendation is variant human (moderately armored) for 15+2 str, 13+1 cha, 14 con, 12 dex, 10 wis, 8 int. Or mountain dwarf for 15+2 str, 14 cha, 12+2 con, 13 dex, 10 wis, 8 int. Either one taking heavily armored at 4 for 18 strength and plate.

You'll do fine, compared to that.
>>
>>51919545
Irks me the fuck out that I HAVE to use one of my invocations for Mage Armor on the GOO/Fiend lock.
Or I can use the lvl 4 feat for Medium armor proficiency and use the invocation slot for something a bit more interesting.

I'm really not a fan of 2handed weapons but it seems like Hexblade literally is the only option for a bladelock.
>>
>>51919575
No?

I'm also curious like the other two anons as to why that one anon thinks that 4e has the best spellcasting rules.
>>
>>51919577

My standard bladelock recomendation is to play a paladin
>>
>>51918125
>> no cost
i would have it so that more expensive reagents make better poisons. free - 1 to save, 1 gp per gives +0, 10 gp per dose gives an extra +1, and 100 gives +2 or 3 etc

>> more than one a day
id allow three max unless he has access to a lab or guild or something and give it a month shelf life

>>bonus action to apply
I would be fine with that. have it in a special sheath or something he just dips his drawn weapon into.

>>no save
Thats dumb. poison give dis advantage on attack rolls and saves. If he wants no save on poison, it should be that no one has saves on poison. Run one session with bassalisks and giant spiders and shit and see how he feels about no save for poison after that.
>>
File: one-man-band12.jpg (188KB, 730x841px) Image search: [Google]
one-man-band12.jpg
188KB, 730x841px
How integral are tool proficiencies?

They almost never come up in my game, and it seems a lot of them are much less useful than others.

Is there even any point really in the Bard having 3 instrument ones instead of 1 and maybe 2 useful ones instead? I can't see any circumstance in any game where i'm going to play 3 different instruments and need bonuses to it in any way.
>>
>>51919606
>Irks me the fuck out that I HAVE to use one of my invocations for Mage Armor on the GOO/Fiend lock.
It's +1 AC. False life is better early on, I'd say.
>>
What's a reasonable title for a level 1 character to have? I really wanted my Cleric to be a St. but that's obviously a bit far so I need something.
>>
>>51919646
That still leaves cool shit like Cloak of Baalzebul for Fiends in the dust.

Basically I'm irked that as a warlock, out of all the awesome invocations, you have certain mandatory ones depending on what you're playing.
>>
>>51919695
Bishop?
>>
>>51919695
If they're a member of proper clergy, perhaps Brother/Sister, Father/Mother, Priest, Reverend, Minister, etc
>>
>>51919695
Pastor/Reverend/Minister/Prior
>>
>>51919705
Just the blade invocations ultimately costs you 4 of the maximum 8. Mage Armor is just +1 AC until you get +1 studded leather. False life doesn't stack with AoA or Dark One's Blessing if you use those. You will never have all the invocations you could want.
>>
>>51919743
>>51919767
Reverend or Brother's good. He's not a member of the church of Deneir anymore, after openly attacking another member but he kinda lies about that and his name. I figure if you're impersonating a religious member you're gonna add a title on it.
>>
>>51919574
This guy has a lot of good, pretty useful information. Take a look. http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2016/08/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-storm-kings.html

>>51919608
I misinterpreted that. My apologies, carry on.
>>
>>51919770
Aye that's true.

So hypothetically, if I wanted to make a Fiend patron with Mace of Dispater and Cloak of Baalzebul for flavor/theme mainly, I'm guessing going 14+2st, 15+1con, 16cha, 16dex will be the optimal one?

Will leave me with 15 AC.
Should I even go for a feat at 4 or is the ASI worth too much?
>>
>>51918860
The main problem is that it depends on the idea that a Sarkrith (or something like that, a snake creature in Serpent Kingdoms) can grant any power, including godhood, to a kobold, but they haven't done so for each other because, I guess, they're retarded.
>>
File: here's a guy with free time.png (356KB, 856x475px) Image search: [Google]
here's a guy with free time.png
356KB, 856x475px
https://github.com/5egmegaanon/5etoolsR20

Made a few changes to 5etoolsR20.
- No longer asks a popup for a data URL, instead uses a text box in settings (defaults to 5etools data and JSON).
- Allows imported statblocks to be organized by either type (default) or source book.
- Fixed that thing where the character alignment included the source book name.
>>
>>51919634

You can add your proficency bonus on those instruments for performance checks

With a right instrument of the bards, that means a lot

Added ontop of that, well, high performance checks are also nice for the bard, because it is the only one that can disguise its spell casting as a public performance. So you can mass suggest, assassinate or whatever, all from the comfort of your stage, desguising the spellcasting as just standard melodies

Other than that, no, music instrument proficiency is entirely uselss. There's a reason why the knowledge cleric is given proficency at everything as a level 2 feature
>>
File: 1426203758392.jpg (19KB, 350x291px) Image search: [Google]
1426203758392.jpg
19KB, 350x291px
>>51913748
I don't think I've ever played a Paladin.

They just rarely ever gel with a party well. Everyone has to be in a similar alignment, or else the pally will go ballistic most of the time.

Anyone have any stories of a good Pally player? Ever?
>>
>>51919818
What feat would you want to get? Moderately armored lets you use a shield and better armor, bringing you from up to 15 to up to 18 (breastplate) or 19 (half plate) with a shield. Warcaster, Resilient Con and the like are popular. But you still need four ASI to max str and cha, so that's plenty useful.
>>
>>51919839
Does Shaped not work with this now? The only options are OGL and Community Contributed.
>>
>>51919839

I'm going to name my next character after you
>>
>>51919915
Shaped works. Just import it, then be sure to open the sheet of that NPC up before you use it for anything. Shaped sheet will convert it automatically.

That dropdown is for some legacy stuff that the d20plus creator had, to support the long-outdated community sheet. Don't pay it any mind for the time being.
>>
>>51919606
>magic sword spirit is best for magic sword user
news at 11
>>
>>51919908
Moderately armored was the one I was thinking of.
Though as you said, ASI's are pretty useful. Atleast getting a +4 will be strong.
>>
>>51919906
>or else the pally will go ballistic
Sorry your group is such shit, anon.
>>
>>51919606
Bladelock was considered a shit and trap option, hexblade was made specifically so people complaining about bladelock would shut up.
>>
>>51919906

>Anyone have any stories of a good Pally player? Ever?

Been DMing and playing 20+ years, never had a problem. When we were young, sometimes the player would derp, but they'd do so with any char.
>>
>>51919915
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for all of this, it's pretty great.
>>
So I've been confused about this forever. If my Holy Symbol's on my shield do I need a hand free for somatic components?
>>
>>51919906
Sounds like you've only ever had bad Paladin players.
The one in my group has never caused any problems, usually they only interfere with other PCs if they're going to get in over their head, like when somebody got sick of a noble's attitude and went for a follow-up killing blow after a duel to first blood.
>>
>>51920012
You can perform the somatic components of spells that have material components, but not ones that don't. I know. It's retarded.
>>
Minor GM question about SKT.
Bryn Shander, Goldenfields, or Triboar? There's a lot of "It depends" factors but which location do you feel is a better place for the encounter?
>>
>>51919931
Is the community sheet still supported, though? I've got a long-running game that still uses it.
>>
>>51920012
You do, but I'm yet to see a DM who cared about this shit.
>>
>>51920068
Alright good to know. Can't I just put away my weapon and draw it again next round as part of an attack though? So the only problem with that's no opportunity attack.
>>
>>51920068
I will never, ever understand this.
I just let players in my games ignore all the "free hand" shit, especially if it means avoiding people doing that retarded "drop weapon for free, do thing as an action, pick weapon up with interaction" thing that's RAW.
>>
>>51920072
I've heard Bryn Shander is bad, but I forget why.
I ran Triboar and enjoyed it, but I think some of the Goldenfields characters and quests are more interesting.
I only really did Triboar because I transitioned from the starter set.
>>
>>51920093
Doesn't necessarily need to be part of an attack, but it doesn't take any actions to use so basically yeah.
>>
>>51920074
Doesn't look like it, unfortunately. It was never even updated to include support for the SRD.
>>
>>51919945
>>51919960
>>51920014
Yeah, seems like it. The guy only plays LE Paladins who work through a lens of moral absolutism and unwillingness to compromise. Even has his own world where Paladins are the government and church, and they capture mages and lock them up in a Dragon Age like tower.

It's trash. And that's all he plays. Then when he tries to branch out he only plays CE crazies and says we "punish his branching out" when we're just trying to get him to not murderhobo.

He has two settings. Murderhobo and Steryotypical Paladin.
>>
>>51920127
LE? doesn't sound much like a stereotypical paladin...
>>
File: 1456234350538.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456234350538.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>51920127
> The guy only plays LE Paladins who work through a lens of moral absolutism and unwillingness to compromise
>>
>>51920097
Is dropping shit even free anymore? I know that was a thing in 3.pf I always hated but I don't know if that's still the case.
>>
>>51920127
My group has a Lawful Good Devotion Paladin and a Chaotic Evil Vengeance Paladin.
The LG one is >>51920014.
The CE one is a player so shitty that I genuinely think they're worse than some of my group when I played as a 13-year-old, and they're in their late 20s.
I think the key is definitely having some goal that allows you to have a little bit of flexibility for the greater good. For the LG Paladin, that's ensuring neither giants or chromatic dragons can take over (we're running SKT).
>>
File: WesternMapB4-r.png (1MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapB4-r.png
1MB, 3000x3000px
Show me your world maps, /5eg/.

I am currently working on this here Totally-Not-North-America for a wild west game.
>>
I'm having trouble.... Can a rouge with a high dexterity but low agility still wield double weapons?
>>
>>51920181
I don't think it's actually listed anywhere
>>
>>51920213
>high dexterity but low agility

w-what?
>>
>>51920213
First
>rouge

Second
>high dex, low agi
Nigger, you just transported me back to the 90s, when RPGs actually differentiated between "that dodge + speed stat" and "that hit + skill stat".
>>
>>51920213
What the fuck is agility?
In 5e, anyway?
>>
>>51920181
No one knows. But you still drop shit when you get knocked out, and you can sheathe a sword as your object interaction. Seems like dropping one would be even easier. Like how dropping prone is free.
>>
>>51920151
>>51920165
>>51920197
Well I say LE, but he's apparently LG.

Pretty sure LG characters don't spam "I pick up the rogue until they listen to me, I'm large sized so they can't roll against it" or "Act stupid again and I'll kill you where you stand, wizard."
>>
>>51920257
>"I pick up the rogue until they listen to me, I'm large sized so they can't roll against it"
Wait, didn't you complain about it yesterday somewhere? It sounds really familiar.
>>
>>51920265
Yes. Game starts up again Monday, and I plan on talking to him, but it's very frustrating right now.
>>
File: mymap2.jpg (3MB, 6520x5650px) Image search: [Google]
mymap2.jpg
3MB, 6520x5650px
>>51920209
>>
>>51916203
I don't know if Jack is pure monk. I'd say he's at least part barbarian, he has a tendency to fly into fits of rage in combat. And he's good with all kinds of weapons.

He also lacks the WIS to be a monk.
>>
>>51920248
>dropping prone is free
>standing up is also free
>our Battlemaster/Rogue is a cheeky fucker who will flop onto his back, stand up, circle around the enemy, flop on his back, bonus action Dash, stand up, circle around again, then stab a guy
>>
File: cassini_climate.png (79KB, 504x253px) Image search: [Google]
cassini_climate.png
79KB, 504x253px
>>51920209
More or less this, with some changes. Most of Not!Africa is going to be broken up into island nations.
>>
>>51920317
>standing up is also free
...no, it isn't? It costs half your movement.
>>
>>51920333
Free in that it doesn't require any kind of action.
>>
File: DnD Map.png (68KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DnD Map.png
68KB, 800x600px
>>51920209
>>
>Watching new D&D youtube show
>Stumble across "Heroes and Halfwits"
>Set looks nice and the productions looks like its got a budget into it
>But suddenly

>Female has a nosering
>Every one starts acting like they got smuggled out of a Big Bang Theory set
>The DM is a major mumblecore waif

Dis gus ting.
>>
>>51920324
I'm sorry but seeing Australia sideways off to the side kinda ruins this for me.
>>
>>51920337
looks like a radioactive beholder getting skullfucked, desu
>>
>>51920337
my eyes
>>
>>51920343
>>The DM is a major mumblecore waif

> he says paladins have to be lawful good or loose their powers.

So that's a foregone conclusion

Anyone's got *good* games I can watch for material?
>>
File: 1472291156743.jpg (33KB, 400x392px) Image search: [Google]
1472291156743.jpg
33KB, 400x392px
>>51920361
>>
>>51920343
It's Achievement Hunter, what are you expecting?
>>
>>51920371
>paladins have to be lawful good or lose* their powers
The true patrician's choice.
>>
>>51919898
So basically
>You don't need performance proficiency because you'll have instrument proficiency
>>
>>51920361

Oh my god I can see that too
>>
>>51920371
It's Pathfinder, but there's a podcast called the Glass Cannon that's fun. Or a story/comedy heavy one called the Adventure Zone.
>>
>>51919906
Devotion paladin is LG territory, but hardly meshes poorly with even evil characters as they're a 'show mercy to your enemies' type. Their main problem is that they're compelled to tell the truth, however.
Ancients is more neutral-good-ish, and they're all about love and fun and all that, and there's nothing specifically that pits them against evil players.
Vengeance paladins just really, really, really fucking hate something. Probably chaotic neutral or good. No reason to mesh poorly with the party unless you're the target of their hate.

Oathbreakers are broken, go home.

Screw the UA paladins.

Crown paladins are fine as long as you aren't in a party of fucking criminals who can't even hide their criminal tendencies.
>>
>>51920394

For performance checks with that specific instrument.

Mind you, charisma checks are the ones where you want absurdly high rolls the most (which is why a spell that gives you cha rolls of 15 is all the way at the 8th level of spells)
>>
>>51920351
They ain't going to notice.
I'm ripping the shit outta planescape but putting it onto a material plane. Not!Australia is right next to the gate to Carceri country of criminals and the place where a tear in reality has let a bit of the Far Realms in where lesser Great Old Ones are at war with each other for a foothold but still leak in enough that all sorts of terrifying shit originates from there. Its taking all the effort of Ysgard to hold that shit in. It also lets me make the joke that despite all the fantasy monsters, Australia still has the most dangerous wild life and population that gives the least shit about it
>>
File: Bwaaaaah.png (88KB, 286x340px) Image search: [Google]
Bwaaaaah.png
88KB, 286x340px
>>51920296
> Old North
> Spiderwoods
Oh shit, nigga
>>
>>51920422
>Pathfinder

Then why does the guy on the left have a 5e player's handbook on hand?
>>
>>51920439
You can't stack proficiency twice, and technically if you have performance proficiency if you make a performance with that instrument you should still get proficiency as if you were a proficient instrument player.
But honestly what SHOULD happen (and is sort of intended) is if you try to use tools you're not proficient in then you usually should just automatically fail unless it's something basic like laying down bricks.
>>
>>51920472
What do you mean?
>>
>>51920450
Yeah I'm Australian and when I was running a game in Germany I had Not!Australia be a criminal country the Not!English Dragonborn sent people to. They eventually evolved into frighteningly tough Lizardmen with natural armour and posion immunity to survive there.

Was pretty cool stuff and they seemed to love it..
>>
>>51920485
I still let you roll for it but I simply have different scales. I don't care what the 10 str wizard rolls, he can't move the boulder while the 20 str fighter/barb can move that shit on a 15.
>>
>>51920485

The rules for instruments say "Add your proficiency bonus for performance checks related to this instrument"
The entertainer background comes with proficiency in performance and an instrument
Knowledge of Ages gives you proficiency to tools and instruments (presumably to use in skill checks which you may or may not have proficiency in)

So... How the fuck do you *not* add that proficiency?
>>
File: Earth.png (504KB, 1266x472px) Image search: [Google]
Earth.png
504KB, 1266x472px
>>51920324
Looks like an alternate present day earth.
>>
>>51920610
That would be because it is
Rotated 90 degrees.
>>
>>51920111
Bryn Shander has a lot of combat, from what I've heard. Although I don't know if that was the reason.

I was leaning towards Bryn, but I'm thinking more about the other two.
>>
>>51920519

I thought you meant Heroes and Halfwits was pathfinder
>>
>>51920557
Page 12.

You can only add your proficiency modifier once. You can half or double it, but you can only half or double it once.

If you're playing chess while playing a piano while playing a flute while making a performance while bluffing while trying to persuade the king while doing somersaults while pushing a boulder, if you have piano proficiency and literally no other proficiencies you'd technically probably add your proficiency for d20 + charisma (Or perhaps intellect) + prof mod.

However, your DM is unlikely to let you do that and will likely have to improvise if you try to do something that stupid, or just say 'no'.

>>51920547
Yeah. There are actually specific push limits I believe, and at most you might allow a strength check to make you go a little beyond that.
>>
>>51920337
This is all kinds of bad.

What the fuck is that ance? Why is there a bowling pin? it's just shades of green.

Kys.
>>
>>51920719
Rude.
>>
>>51920719
>leddit spacing
An Hero.
>>
>>51920659
Oh, that was it.
Bryn Shander is insanely hard with an absurdly large group of giants to fight - 12 compared to 2 in Triboar.
And the thing they're looking for isn't even there, and it connects to a plot point that won't be resolved until a future adventure.
Bad times all around.
>>
>>51920750
>leddit spacing
The fuck are you even saying?
>>
File: 1485244349266.png (1MB, 788x872px) Image search: [Google]
1485244349266.png
1MB, 788x872px
>>51920644
>>
>>51920750
Not that guy, but there's jack shit wrong with making your post legible.

It isn't "reddit spacing", it's how anyone who knows how to write a readable email or document types.
>>
>>51920750
Agreed

>>51920803
It means that you should go back.
>>
I'm playing a Cleric and I really want to try and get some better INT skills. Would taking a level in rogue for an extra 1d6 damage sometimes, a skill and Expertise be worth it?
>>
>>51920750
>>51920819
Also,
>still saying "an hero"
>2017

>>51920820
Plus you just reddit spaced.
>>
>>51920833
The answer is no.
>>
>>51915577
>So the GM has dumped us in a bullshit situation involving an unbeatable, specifically bred killing machine.

Have you considered the GM might want you to run away from it?
>>
>>51920833
Just take Knowledge Domain.
>>
>>51920862
I'm playing a Melee Cleric or I would.
>>
>>51917775 Tried to fix...
Way of the Elemental Warrior

Elemental Attunement
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to attune to the elements. During a short rest, you can attune to one element. At 6th, 11th and 17th levels, you gain 1 additional attunement. Each element has a damage type tied into it.

Fire. Damage type: Fire.
Water. Damage type: Cold.
Air. Damage type: Force.
Earth. Damage type: Non-magical Bludgeoning.

As a bonus action, you can spend 1 ki to activate an element you have attuned to. This activation lasts for one minute. While activated, you gain resistance to the damage type. You can make any martial arts attack as a ranged martial arts attack (20/60) that deals damage of that type equal to your martial arts die + 1.
You also gain the following benefits:

Fire. Your martial arts attacks do additional 1d4 fire damage
Water. Your martial arts attacks have reach
Air. Your movement speed increases by 10ft and your jumping distance is doubled.
Earth. Your AC is increased by 2, and you have advantage against spell effects that would force movement.

Elemental Resistance
At 6th level, when attuned to an element, you become are resitant to that damage type.

Secret Element
At 11th level, you choose one of the following secret elements, and gain the benefit from it.

Blue Flame. Fire damage from your elemental attunement becomes 1d8.
Lightning. You can use 7 Ki to cast chain lightning as a 6th level spell once per long rest.
Blood. If a character fails the saving throw against your Stunning Strike, they are Paralyzed until the end of your next turn.
Wind. You gain flying speed equal to half of your movement speed. You cannot take falling damage while conscious.
Metal. Your martial arts attacks can cause bludgeoning, slashing or piercing damage and your martial arts die becomes one step higher (1d8 is 1d10, 1d10 is 1d12).

Master of Four Elements
You can activate several elements with one bonus action, spending 1 ki for each element activated.
>>
>>51920951
Elemental Resistance appears to be tied in to Elemental Attunement automatically. Overall this is ridiculously OP also it's the only thing with force resistance in the game.
>>
>>51915577
Have you tried running?
>>
2 extra known spells on sorcerers at level 1, and it scales up 1 per level as it does currently (puts them on par with bards), and a slightly expanded spell selection.

Would it fix the poor spot sorcerers are in?
>>
>>51921368
>>
>>51915577
Have you considered not fighting it?
>>
>>51921415
>>51921317
>>51920860
Didn't he say they were trapped?
>>
>>51921441
>So the GM has dumped us in a bullshit situation involving an unbeatable, specifically bred killing machine. Session ended with us trapped with serious injuries and this walking bullshit machine about to make mincemeat of us.
>Session ENDED with us trapped
>>
>>51921441
Hard to say without more details, but i'd try and find a way out of said trap instead of fighting an unwinnable battle.
>>
>>51921379
I like it. Similar to what I've got for my Draconic Sorcerer which is:

Each draconic bloodline recieves a free cantrip of its damage type

(Black, Copper) Extra Cantrip: Acid Splash
(Blue, Bronze) Extra Cantrip: Shocking Grasp
(Brass, Gold, Red) Extra Cantrip: Fire Bolt
(Green) Extra Cantrip: Poison Spray
(Silver, White) Extra Cantrip: Ray of Frost

All dragon types get the following Extra Spells at the sorcerer level listed below:

Cantrips: Gust
1st: Chromatic Orb
3rd: See Invisibility
5th: Fly, Fear
7th: Polymorph
9th: Control Winds

I'd probably trade a few of those above, I like them more than that. Maybe something like this?

1st: Disguise Self, Charm Person
3rd: Darkvision, Alter Self
5th: Having trouble with this. I like both of them. Protection from Energy, Elemental Weapon, Fly, Fear all work pretty well.
7th: Polymorph, Leomund's Secret Chest, or Elemental Bane
9th: Dominate Person or Legend Lore

Does that look good? Too much, doesn't fit, anything?
>>
>>51921368
I'd love to see some unique spells for the Sorcerer that are specifically designed to work with sorcery points and Metamagic.
>>
>>51921774
I'm swapping a few to add some from the Book of Lost Spells from Necromancer games so that poison and acid sorcerers have shit they can cast. It also kinda ruins that point when I add a metamagic that is lore wizard spell secrets but whatever.
>>
>>51913748
I feel like I could only ever play a Cleric, Druid or Bard as a joke character. I probably wouldn't enjoy it for very long.
>>
>>51921488
Nice pol digits
>>
>>51921774
Add something about how the extra spells can't be swapped out for others at later levels.
>>
>>51920296
What did you use to make this
>>
>>51921942
thanks i got them myself
>>
>>51921488
>>51921317
>>51921415
Retreating generally doesn't work in... basically anything where most PCs and monsters have a speed measured as something like 30', 120', 12", etc.
>>
>>51921990
Oh yeah, I was basing it off the .pdf so I figured it was a given. But yeah, no trading them.
>>
>>51922074
>Rules>fun & thinking outside the box
>>
>>51913748
I only play casters. Martial characters feel so one dimensional to me desu.
>>
>>51922103
>spending your last moments alive clawing at a wall in the hopes there is some exit as you are being eaten
>fun

Nah

>trying to hope the DM takes pity on your worthless existence
>"thinking outside the box"

Okay, I guess.
>>
File: 1325683896642.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1325683896642.png
12KB, 560x407px
About to roll a melee forge cleric
I've never been good at casters so what general-purpose spells should I be taking up, what should I be using more than others? A lot of the good stuff appears to be concentration so what I have on is going to be hotly contested real-estate and I'm not sure what's more useful than what
>>
>>51922146
Sounds like you're just used to shit DMs desu.
>>
File: bloodypathrogueability.png (68KB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
bloodypathrogueability.png
68KB, 300x189px
Why aren't you being a good DM and putting 4E powers into your 5E games, /5EG/?
>>
>>51920610
>>51920324
Why isn't Antarctica much, much larger? It's fucking enormous in our world.
>>
>>51922167
Nah, when I think "shit DM," "monster which you have no choice but to run from" takes the cake.

Especially since its usually not a melee only monster slower than the PCs, so they have no reason to think they can flee from it.
>>
>>51922192
http://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTYzMzQ0MjA.MjMxOTk*MzYwMDAwMDA(MA~!CONTIGUOUS_US*MTAwMjQwNzU.MjUwMjM1MTc(MTc1)MQ~!IN*NTI2NDA1MQ.Nzg2MzQyMQ)Mg~!CN*OTkyMTY5Nw.NzMxNDcwNQ(MjI1)MA~!AQ*MTA4MzUxOTg.MjAzMTc5NDg)Mw
Maps stretch shit near the edges holmes
Between that and ice not being there.
>>
>>51922157
Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians will be big. The first will give you a good "companion", essentially a bonus action spare attack that keys off Wis. The second will slow the advance of enemies towards allies you protect, or keep them in your range when they try to run.
>>
>>51922074
There are plenty of ways to retreat that can work out.

Hiding, closing doors, using traps you didn't disarm, spells, simply shoving monsters before you start dashing and then using abilities such as double dash, wizard covering you with illusionary or real walls, going somewhere too small for big creatures, making distractions (Again, illusions can work here), spells such as darkness or silence, rope trick, a sacrifice, outwitting the enemy...
>>
>>51922179
>Durr Clang meme
Good Taste famalam.
>>
>>51922203
>Monster too strong to handle = shit GM
So the only good game is one where you are literally a god of war where you can kill anything? If you go out seeking dragons, is the GM obligated to make them weak enough for you to handle?
>>
>>51922237
>spiritual weapon
Woah shit it's not concentration
Neat, free damage
>>
>>51922157
Bless is fantastic at every level, and is your go-to Concentration spell for general situations.

Pure fighting mode is Spiritual Weapon+Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapon provides consistent damage over time without concentration.

Guiding Bolt is your low to mid level nuke.

Command is fantastic, particularly once you have Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon active.

Lesser Restoration and Prayer of Healing are always good to memorize, and work for most days.

What level are you? I can keep trying to go over things i find useful, but it's better if i know what you have access to, what your party composition is, and what your expectations for the day/campaign are.
>>
File: smug eva.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
smug eva.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>>51922192
>Why isn't Antarctica much, much larger? It's fucking enormous in our world.
Anon, I....
>>
>>51922273
I love it when I make discoveries like this.

>damnit, my bladelock has to choose between hex for damage and blink for survivability
>ayo hol up
>>
>>51922179
But I am. It's the only way to make GOOlocks feel like they're actually using STAR POWER.
>>
>>51922238
Most forms of retreat have one big fucking flaw: they presuppose you can get away from the enemy, virtually all of your suggestions are actually "once you have already retreated, you can get retreat from the enemy slightly harder."

A sacrifice, though, is a workable idea and a pretty decent summary of retreating in systems where movement is generally in fixed amounts (as opposed to dice or whatever); if most creatures in a game have 30' movement, and being a short race or wearing heavy armor reduces that any, retreat tends to intrinsically mean "surprise heroic sacrifice."
>>
>>51922273
Yeah. It's your "extra attack".
>>
File: basically africa is huge.jpg (723KB, 2058x1314px) Image search: [Google]
basically africa is huge.jpg
723KB, 2058x1314px
>>51922192
Oh shit, son, you're about to get E D U C A T E D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX-PrBRtTY
>>
>>51922306
oh go have drunk sex with middle schoolers elsewhere, it's an easy enough mistake to make when the thing is a continent wreathed in bigass ice sheets
>>
>>51922268
I have the opposite problem, my party tries to follow the DMs hints and he WAY overblows all his encounters. To the point where we flee or move into a better position in situations where, if we just ran at the enemy, it would have been a pushover.
>>
>>51922268
>So the only good game is one where you are literally a god of war where you can kill anything?

Ah yes, the "So, (hilarious strawman)" retort.

In 1e, there is an example of the strongest non unique core dragon taken out by a level fucking FIVE party, and not a very strong or capable party at that.

Springing monsters guaranteed to obliterate the party is a pretty shitty thing to do, especially since the players rarely have a way of knowing they should retreat or that the DM intends to allow them to retreat. Its punishing the players for not memorizing the MM by heart, sad.
>>
Just kill a Beholder with level 6 party yesterday. Shit was fun.
>>
File: Map (7).jpg (718KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map (7).jpg
718KB, 1024x768px
>>51920209
I tried to atleast make mine not look like australia, although thats what it originally was
>>
>>51922357
He wasn't saying "the continent is smaller than the ice sheets," he was saying "the map you've been looking at your entire life distorts the size of everything."

Antarctica looks absolutely massive on every map but it's really half the size of Africa. And if you look at Africa on your normal ass map, that seems pretty small, but remember >>51922349 is what the world actually looks like.
>>
>>51915577
Load some dice.
>>
>>51922349
>Gall-Peters
>Not using superior equirectangular so X and Y map to lattitude and longitude
Shit taste famalam
>>
>>51922425
Yew dale resident here, what are your stats for a bunyip? Or a yowie?
>>
File: bonne.jpg (212KB, 946x899px) Image search: [Google]
bonne.jpg
212KB, 946x899px
>>51922498
Stand back
>>
>>51922274
9th
Lots of fighting. DM likes players planning ahead and scouting but he makes it difficult. Mostly spellcasters + myself + 1 barbarian, but the spellcasters aren't very good at it either so me and the barb always end up carrying encounters (which I don't mind, because the druid picked up a lot of out-of-combat effects which saved us a bunch)
>>
>>51920371
Maybe I'm a pleb but I like Critical Role
>>
File: kaneda, what do you see.jpg (5KB, 350x144px) Image search: [Google]
kaneda, what do you see.jpg
5KB, 350x144px
>>51922568
>>
>>51922520
Ay I'm in the Yew Dale area as well. My village keeps being attacked by tribal's and their druids.
>>
>>51922425
The Cold Lands and The Dead City look way too similar and smooth as land masses.

Also, land masses tend to look like they "fit" together, which makes for a nice guide on how to shape the splits. It shouldn't be a perfect fit due to erosion, but it should be the same vague shape.
>>
File: map edtion 2.png (72KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
map edtion 2.png
72KB, 800x600px
Why are flail snails so great? There's just something about them as monsters that I really like

>>51920209
This is for my campaign where there's been so many monsters for so long society is co-inhabiting with them
>>
I really have no idea how much scrolls should cost in shops.

DMG doesn't have any mentions of it.

Anyone have that merchant homebrew thing?
>>
File: campaign continent.png (5MB, 5436x3900px) Image search: [Google]
campaign continent.png
5MB, 5436x3900px
>>51920209
Red lines are meant to show off political borders, but outside of that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
>>
>>51922274
>>51922591
Oh yeah right now we're fighting a vampire cult, which is the main reason I chose Cleric.
>>
>>51922773
Magic item cost/value is determined by rarity, and scrolls have different rarity based on the level of spell.
>>
File: ourandormap.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ourandormap.png
2MB, 1024x768px
>>51920209
I never got around to finishing this one. It was for a campaign about competing quasi-Greek city states. They were originally one city, but had to blast off with supermagic to avoid a catastrophe, got stuck up in the air for way too long waiting for shit to calm down, couldn't settle on a place to land, ran out of magic juice, and the city cracked into two large halves which drifted off and landed on opposite ends of an island.
>>
>>51922773
>DMG doesn't have any mentions of it.

It does. p 200 lists rarity
p 135 lists price

Scrolls and potions are probably the least controversial item to sell.
>>
File: Capture.png (604KB, 938x786px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
604KB, 938x786px
>>51920209
Still in very rough draft and liable to be completely redone now that I've settled on the world shape and cosmology.

Is a continent roughly the size of South America with a mountain range much bigger than what's currently on earth effectively splitting it in two.
>>
>>51916347

While themes did give the option to replace powers, they also gave unique features.
I don't think you could do the replacement thing in 5e as classes get powers at different levels.

>>51918856

4e had backgrounds, they usually added a language or skill.
>>
Does anyone know how to fix spell lists getting cut off by NatrualCrit when you try to export to pdf?
>>
>>51922425
It both hurts and is accurate that I live in a state capital that isn't even worth adding to the map.
>>
>>51922773
http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2017/02/stronghold-expansion-traders-merchants.html
In case you're too lazy to pick up the DMG and figure out general costs. Its really easy, 500 gp for uncommon, 5,000 for rare, 50,000 for very rare, 500,000 for legendary. I'd appraise up to lvl 2 is uncommon, to level 4 is rare, 6 very rare, 8 legendary, lvl 9 is artifact level.
>>
>>51922780
Looks like a moldy piece of bread to me.

Wouldplay/10 if there was an unusually high amount of mushroom creatures on it.
>>
I haven't played since 3.5. This shit any good?
>>
>>51923175
5e is the best edition of D&D.
>>
>>51923175
It'll be familiar, but streamlined. Most people who genuinely enjoy D&D for more than just the brand seem to rate it consistently as their Favorite or Second Choice of edition.
>>
>>51923181
Are wizards 1,000 times better than everyone else, as it should be?
>>
>>51923227
Ye verily, inhume thyself.
>>
>>51923175
3.5 is garbage compared to this edition
>>
>>51923227
>as it should be
Nice meme, Clerics were king in 3.5.
>>
>Play a fighter
>Don't have a problem with wrecking enemies, tanking damage, or dealing lots of it back out

>End up playing a rogue in out latest game
>Try to mix it up by fighting smart, not hard
>The GM treats it just like the hack-and-slash we were involved in before and I'm slightly gimped because of it
>>
>>51922993
I didnt try and base the towns off actual places, infact other then oaktown the only one I placed with purpose was aspenvale
>>
>>51922976
Never mind, I fixed it.
>>
>>51923275
Fool! You're supposed to play a Fighter LIKE a Rogue and fight smart, not hard.
>>
>>51923282
Most of them are basically each in a real state. Oak town, Fir Mont and Elm Hamlet aren't though.

NSW is best state.
>>
>>51922907
>>51922848
You know, maybe that's something I'll have in my setting. A massive continent-splitting mountain range that is littered with dangers to traverse over, and the passages through or under them are the home of the dwarves and the underdark equivalent.
>>
How do I into fighter? I've got a reasonable build I feel, I can tank a lot of damage but I really struggle dealing it back out.

Sheet is as follows:
Fighter 5 (battlemaster)

16 STR
12 DEX
14 CO N
10 INT
9 WIS
10 CHA

Also went variant human and took the Sentinel feat.

I just don't get what i'm doing wrong.
>>
>>51922074

I ignore the pursuit rules in the book and just tell players they're in a skill challenge. How hard the challenge is depends on how fast the creature is/how far they have to run/whether it has ways to slow them down. If they fuck up, they're cornered and have to slip past the creature to escape (this time for good).

It's worked alright so far.
>>
>>51923436
What weapon are you using?
>>
>>51923436

It's not you. Fighters kinda suck, their best use is for multiclassing. Go get some Paladin levels and you can really nuke shit.
>>
>>51919394
>A day of preparation, expenditure of funds and an extra action for the chance to apply the same effect as a caster's cantrip over ten turns just one time is OP.

This stinks of "silly martial classes don't deserve anything that might allow them to match a caster's cantrip, let alone an actual spell."
>>
>>51923462
Oddly enough, I have constant access to any of the base martial weapons at all times due to a homebrewed magic item the DM gave me.

it's his first campaign and he seems to be going for the whole high fantasy 'chosen party of the gods' kind of thing, so when we hit level 5 he gave the party their own individual magic items. Shit like a cloak that lets the rogue sneak better, a magic gun for the gunslinger (think it's that Matt Mercer homebrew), a fancy light sword for the Paladin, etc.

Unfortunately they aren't really balanced well and some are a lot better than others.
>>
>>51923274
Not really. Clerics and druids are good solid choices in 3.5, but encounter ending spells are mainly a wizard thing. They are all tier 1, of course.
>>
>>51923275
>rogue
>gimped in combat
>>
>>51923324
I'd have said Elm Hamlet is closer to Perth than Pine Chester, but yeah.
>>
>>51923517
Well shit man greatsword/maul 4d6+6 (+d8 for maneouviers) per turn isn't too shabby for the tankiest class in the game
Tunnel Fighter + Sentinel is OP as fuck, if you picked it
>>
>>51923436

Having just gotten multi-attack you should be doing pretty well.
Sentinel is a pretty defensive feat, so I get that not helping. What fighting style did you pick? Great Weapon Master and using a 2h should put out some hurt.

That said, I find fighters are far more consistent than a lot of the other classes but with less burst, so you wont get the damage in short fights or if you have to move around and get stuck out of range a lot.
>>
>>51918027
Crazy go nuts strong. Check out the rules for "Basic Poison."

>>51923474
"Martial" has nothing to do with it, an INSANELY overpowered item for nothing is crazy go nuts tier.

And 1 minute of poisoned condition being added for free along with a normal hit is well beyond any cantrip.
>>
>>51923470
>>51923470
I'm pretty sure at this point people have said that all the classes suck.

Fucking hell, what class is actually good?
>>
Gestalt.
>>
>>51923590
>Fucking hell, what class is actually good?
All of them (even ranger if you use the revised version).
>>
>>51923436
>Also went variant human and took the Sentinel feat.

Found your mistake. You should have GWM and Polearm Mastery by now.
>>
>>51923612
>>51923436
Also, you have an unspent level 4 feat (unless you boosted stats), so the good news is, you can get polearm AND GWM as of level 6.
>>
File: IMG_3352.jpg (223KB, 1484x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3352.jpg
223KB, 1484x1920px
My new group consists of 2 drow brothers, a tiefling warlock, and a human barbarian.

How do I as a DM create the feeling of being unwelcomed or mistrusted for the players when they enter a settlement? Also how do I ramp it up or bring it down depending on where the party goes?
>>
>>51923601
I dunno, old Hunter Ranger seems fine to me. Been DMing one for about 8 months now and the only issue has been stupid player choices of favored enemy (aberrations at level 1) but I can see how bad beastmasters have it.
>>
>>51923589
>Silly martial, be happy with your 150 g poison that requires an action to apply and does only 1d4 damage if your opponent fails a DC 10 save.
>Or if you want to craft it, enjoy 75 g and 30 days of preparation. Boy, that poisoner's kit proficiency is really useful, isn't it?
>>
>>51923474
>This stinks of "silly martial classes don't deserve anything that might allow them to match a caster's cantrip, let alone an actual spell."
Show me the cantrip that poisons for a full minute.
>>51923436
What's your fighting style? If you want to do big damage, GWF with a greatsword or maul is good (though it's good in general). A glaive or pike with PAM would also work well.
>>
>>51923590
Wizard.
>>
Fifth edition good for if I wanted to DM for my 10 year old niece?
>>
>>51923636

Have them visit a town where tieflings and drow are unknown. Have everyone freak out when they see the tiefling. "HOLY SHIT, ITS A SATAN!" Have the town cleric and mayor negotiate for the town's survival. Have nobody fear or react to the drow, and have a sage say "oh, the dark elves, or drow, are merely legend."
>>
>>51923636
>2 drows
>tiefling warlock
>barbarian
It isnt really difficult. Make the NPC stare at them, making they pay double the things or even not selling shit to them at all. Make the villagers dwarfs if you want.
>>
>>51923680
I'd say so.
It's pretty straight forward.
>>
>>51923680
On a scale of remedial to honors, how smart is she?
>>
So we've had standard Infernal Tieflings, further varianced in the SCAG, and then Abyssal Tieflings in UA....
Think we'll ever get stats for Tieflings descended from Daemons/Yugoloths in this edition?
>>
>>51923576
Wouldn't Barbarians be tankier?

>>51923588
I went with dueling (was planning on sword+board)

>>51923612
>>51923635
I boosted stats. Will grab one of those next level, which is better? GWM?
>>51923651
Dueling. Was probably a mistake.
>>
>>51923436
While >>51923470 is mostly right pure fighters can be useful. I would suggest upping strength next level and using a reach weapon or great weapon of some form. Also don't be afraid to use action surge since it can allow you to do a lot of damage. For example you could trip an opponent with your attack adding a d8 to your damage and if they fall you have advantage on the next 3 attacks, as do all your allies around them until they get up.
So the end result would be
>Trip enemy and do 1d8+1d10+3 damage
>Attack 3 more times and so 3d8+9 damage if everything hits
Could also take advantage of them being prone to use GWM if you want to pick it up at level 6 instead of +1 strength increasing your damage by 30 if everything hits.

Overall battlemasters are good tanks due to feats (like shield master) and being able to help allies escape dangerous enemies (disarming attack, distracting attack, trip attack, maneuvering attack, push attack) but your actual damage output is fairly lackluster.
>>
>>51923701
Honors. Straight As in everything but math which she gets a B
>>
>>51921133
Removed elemental resistance as a 6th level feature, it's supposed to kind of be a ribbon anyway, so:

Elemental Absorption
At 6th level, when dealt either Fire, Cold, Force or non-magical Bludgeoning damage, you can use 2 ki as a reaction to activate en element tied of that damage before the damage calculation is finished.

That's not as good as it sounds, because 2 ki is pretty steep.
>>
>>51923707
>Will grab one of those next level, which is better? GWM?

Polearm gives you, in many cases, TWO extra attacks a round. So that.

>Dueling. Was probably a mistake.

Jesus, the horror.
>>
>>51922418
How?
>>
>>51923720
5e will do just fine for her then.
>>
>>51923720
>everything but math which she gets a B
Don't waste your time confusing her with big numbers then.
>>
>>51923731
DM probably didn't understand legendary actions.
>>
>>51923725
>Jesus, the horror.
That bad, huh?
>>
Is a UA out tomorrow or more delays? If it does come out, do you think they'll make another waste of time no one asked for?
>>
>>51923763
Yep. Only people who normally would be caught dead fighting like that are, well, bladesingers.

Even rogues are better off 99% of the time with a crossbow.
>>
>>51923636
When the party shows up in an inn they get weird looks, maybe people straight up leave cause they don't want to be around a buncha freaks and stuff like that could give a sense that the party are outsiders. Something goes wrong in town? Must be those drow behind it.

You can ramp it up by making townspeople more actively hostile. Shop owners ramp prices up, innkeepers don't offer rooms and drunkards might even start fights. Towns that've been recently raided by drow or berserkers would likely have that sort of attitude.
On the other hand, some places might have a higher than average number of tieflings and so they're more open and sympathetic. And as the party gets to a higher tier of play, they're going to solve bigger problems and that could get them at least a "you're alright... for a tiefling".
>>
>>51923731
A well place fog / darkness spell. If it open its eye to suppress the effect, it can't shoot into that area. Its bite does shit damage
>>
>>51922773
These are the prices I use:
1st 100 gp
2nd 250 gp
3rd 500 gp
4th 2500 gp
5th 5000 gp

Anything above 5th level is generally not something you're going to find for sale.
>>
>>51923786
Shit. No way to respec?
>>
>>51923813
By RAW no, but ask your DM.

Basically your char has been dealing roughly 1/3rd of his true potential for damage.

Using one handed melee weapons are basically things casters do nowadays.
>>
>>51923707
>Wouldn't Barbarians be tankier?
If you want to be a big tank, yeah barbarian 1 (or bearbarian) is better than anything.
>Dueling. Was probably a mistake.
It's not as good as GWF for pure damage output but there's nothing wrong with it if you're sword-and-boarding. And you can still use it with PAM, by using a quarterstaff.
>>
>>51923794
>Beholder
>actually trying to bite shit instead of just fucking off to another unreachable section of its lair and sending in minions that can melee
Yeeeah, your DM played a dumb beholder.
>>
>>51923707
>I boosted stats. Will grab one of those next level, which is better? GWM?
I would say polearm master simply because it allows for more fuckery with enemy movement.
>Enemy attacks you?
You get to attack (if you have riposte)
>Enemy disengages or just runs?
You get to attack
>Enemy enters your attack range?
You get to attack

My favourite fighter build
>Variant human (sentinel)
>Level 3 Battlemaster
>Level 4 Polearm Master
>Level 6 Martial Adept
>>
>>51923786
I mean its useful for sword and board fighters as it puts their damage output about on par with a battle axe user (6.5 average damage for each before modifiers).
>>
>>51923832
>Basically your char has been dealing roughly 1/3rd of his true potential for damage.

Ah fuck. I'll flick him a message, don't know how that will go down though.

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the character to begin with, personality-wise, but I don't want to suicide him in battle and it's been too early in the campaign to consider retiring him.

>>51923864
>My favourite fighter build
>>Variant human (sentinel)
>>Level 3 Battlemaster
>>Level 4 Polearm Master
>>Level 6 Martial Adept

Thanks, I'll try going this route minus the martial adept for now. Makes the magic item pretty worthless, but so far it's been near-useless anyway, so..
>>
What's the best way to be a dex based fighter?
>>
>>51923915
Variant Human Battlemaster with Sharpshooter, Crossbow Master, using Heavy Crossbow.
>>
>>51923915
Bow. You will notice that Sharpshooter gives the same power attack feature as Great Weapon Master, but the archer fighter style puts all the other fighting styles to shame in terms of bonuses. And 600' attack range holy shit!
>>
>>51923922
>Crossbow Expert
ftfy
>>
>>51923794
A) it can move out of the area with ease.
B) If put in this situation, a Beholder would be smart enough to float away and call for its thralls.

It might work on a Beholder zombie.
>>
>>51923922
I am glad that crossbows are finally not only okay for dedicated fighters but actually are top tier in all respects for both fighters and rogues.
>>
>>51923935
>falling for the super long range maymay
>>
>>51923922
You mean hand crossbow right.
>>
>>51923922
>>51923968
I'm new to this, what makes heavy crossbow better than longbow?
>>
What's the best, most reliable way to kill a beholder?
>>
>>51923861
He was trying to do that but there was a giant constrictor snake holding him in the fog.
>>
>>51923990
Hit it until it dies
don't get hit
>>
>>51923984
>>51923971

If, if, IF you have the extra feat, by all means, get both feats.

Hand crossbow deals effectively -2 damage, or -1 damage under a longbow, at the benefit of +1 attack (from bonus action) with the crossbow feat. Stupidly short range, yet that won't matter in 99% of campaigns. If you take the power attack thing, though, it will probably make up for the slight damage penalty.
>>
>>51923984
Because you can use the hand or heavy crossbow in melee no problem.
>>
>>51924016
ITT: anon solves D&D combat
>>
>>51923517
>Oddly enough, I have constant access to any of the base martial weapons at all times due to a homebrewed magic item the DM gave me.

Actually now I think about this, what's a good way to use it besides having concealed weapons constantly? So far I've been using it to circumvent the lance's downsides by switching to a different weapon when they get within 5 feet, but from what people have been saying here a maul/greatsword would do pretty much the same damage.

Did I get fucked?
>>
>>51924022
>>51923976
No, I genuinely meant Heavy Crossbow. Hand Crossbows are a meme.

>>51923984
1d10 vs 1d8 damage dice, 2 qualifying feats, the range difference is negligible in the vast majority of campaigns.
>>
>>51923990
Lots of skeletons minions.
>>
>>51924013
Hm. You mean a druid wild-shaped into a giant snake? Because Wild Shape is magic and thus the Beholder's eye should've disabled that.
>>
>>51922435
Isn't the Gall-Peters projection an even worse offender when it comes to distorting the poles and equator?
>>
>>51924128
Not distorting the equator at all is the entire point. The poles are distorted, but less so (in the opposite direction) than the Mercator.

Plus, no one lives at the poles, so fuck 'em. Gall-Peters is strictly superior.
>>
>>51923990
A nets enchanted with darkness. You're already at disadvantage to hit with a net so darkness doesn't effect you, Battlemasters work great for this.

It can't use eye beams since it can't see you.

It can't fly or move away from you.

All it can do is bite with disadvantage and try to wiggle out which is DC10 with a +0 modifier.

In this time, ideally move a grappler in who even a humble fighter with athletics will hold it in place easily, and then just wail on it until it dies. The only real issue is if it calls for help from its thralls, or if the GM rules that "It doesn't need to see you to eyebeam you if you're literally touching and grappling it."
>>
>>51924152
How do you enchant a net with darkness?
>>
>>51924173
Cast Darkness, Target Net.
>>
>>51924173
Alternatively, casting darkness on the grapple-fighters armour works too.
>>
>>51924119
Only suppress though. So he could walk around it and suddenly turn back into a snake. And I guess the DM could rule that the Beholder doesn't get to change its antimagic field cone while being restricted.
>>
>>51924177
Oh, sorry, thought the 'enchant' part meant something else.
>>
>>51924206
Yeah, bad wording on my part to be honest.
>>
File: beholder mindflayer mounts.jpg (187KB, 960x705px) Image search: [Google]
beholder mindflayer mounts.jpg
187KB, 960x705px
>>51924152
Good to know.
>>
>>51923935
>And 600' attack range holy shit!
When was the last time you had a combat encounter at 600' range?
>>
>>51924191
>giant snake restraining beholder
>beholder looks at any part of the snake, reverts back to humanoid
>beholder flies out of the darkness
I usually rule that reverting back breaks a grapple, so the druid would fall, too. Or I'd give him a chance to try and hold on using Athletics vs. the beholder's acrobatics. Funny thing though is that beholders hover, so even if their speed becomes 0 they don't fall. Which also brings the question of why did this beholder allowed himself to be caught up by the snake in the first place.

>>51924152
>beholder being within range of a net
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 1, 5 = 14 (4d6)

>>
If I'm playing a paladin with Medium Armor Master as a variant human feat, what might be the best fighting style if I want to keep my shield (as I plan on using Shield Master down the line).
Dwarf fighter in the party already uses dueling. Rest of the party is half-elf bard who'll multiclass into warlock, human rogue, human war cleric and the aforementionned dwarf fighter.

Ideas?
>>
>>51924297
Majority of most recent campaign
>>
>>51924047
Does it take an action or anything to change?
If you need to button up it could be nice suddenly having a 1h sword as well as your shield, as by RAW I'm pretty sure you can only get one or the other.

Pretty situational, though.
>>
File: WesternMapB5-r2j.jpg (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
WesternMapB5-r2j.jpg
2MB, 3000x3000px
>>51920209
>tfw three hours later
>>
>>51924336
Well, you're not gonna be doing damage, so get the protection style.
>>
>>51923935
>>51923922
Is there a way to do it without being ranged? I really wanted to dual wield but it seems just weaker/worse than GWM or Sharpshooter.
>>
>>51924378
Nice.
>>
>>51924306
> Which also brings the question of why did this beholder allowed himself to be caught up by the snake in the first place.

Tons of ways anon. Maybe he got a Wizard with him so the Druid walk out of the cone and turn into a flying giant constrictor snake.

Heck, maybe they do that with Darkness net.
>>
>>51924047
>Did I get fucked?
You got combat versatility, which is good, but the problem with that is martials will often specialise, by taking feats and fighting styles that benefit a single style of combat. Incredible versatility loses its benefit when you're always doing the same thing. (As an example, I ran a CoS campaign where the ranger got her hands on the Blood Spear, but it went unused for half the campaign because she was built as a long-range sniper, until she got blinded).

So with that all said, yeah you kinda got fucked. You'd probably have been better off with a magic longsword or battleaxe or whatever.
>>51924340
>Majority of most recent campaign
Well... Fair enough then.
>>
>>51924384
You asked what was "best," and we told you. So I don't get what you are still asking. Yes, you can make an... okay... two weapon fighter.
>>
>>51918586

You're using way too many quotation marks, it makes you seem like a fag.

I just thought you should know.
>>
>>51924384
It's weaker, but it's unlikely to be cripplingly so.
If you wanna go around dick swinging you probably shouldn't bother with fighter anyway.
>>
>>51924384
Human Variant Battlemaster, Two-Weapon Fighting style, with Dual Wielder, using a pair of rapiers. It's dead simple, and effective, but less so than a ranged fighter.
>>
>>51924381
I'm not going to outclass in damage anyway, I don't think. Rogue is also variant human and has Sharpshooter already.
I'm cool with being the "protector" of the party, it fits the character I built.

We're playing Tyranny of Dragons so is there any useful magic items in there that could influence me into switching up my choice of keeping a shield?
(I basically went with Medium Armor Master since we have two other dudes in heavy armor, and medium armor master allows me to keep AC comparable to heavy armor, and also carry more stuff, be able to stick closer to the bardlock and rogue if they scout ahead since I won't have disadvantage on stealth, and if there's magical medium armor I basically get to have first dibs on it)
>>
>>51924476

>I'm not going to outclass in damage anyway, I don't think.

Just needed to point out that you *could* have.

>any useful magic items in there

Other than there being a truly amazing +2, +2d6 necrotic greatsword? Not really.
>>
>>51924409
Here's the thing. Unless the party has two arcane casters (I believe Fly and Darkness are both mostly wizard, sorcerer and warlock spells) this whole strategy doesn't work. A Beholder is going to always try and have the higher altitude, and if anyone else takes to the air, it's going to focus either the flyer or the caster who enabled that. Sure, the party might have walked in to this encounter better prepares by casting those spells in advance, but if they do, again, it's on the DM to make sure the Beholder would have a countermeasure so that this CR 13 creature is not trivialized.

It's not even out-of-character to do that, Beholders are the epitome of paranoia. Knowing that having their vision denied is their biggest weakness, they surely would prepare for enemies that could try that.
>>
>>51924526
There will inevitably be plenty of people who can cast darkness, dude. Guaranteed. Tieflings and drow can both use it, and you just know basically any party will have one of those, brooding silently in the corner at the tavern.
>>
Is 12, 16, 14, 12, 12 10 a little bit too spread out for my Archery Fighter at level 1? I didn't particularly want to dump STR because it feels weird to on archers, INT because everyone does or WIS for perception.
>>
>>51924578
Well, the main advantage of an archery fighter is they can use one stat for practically everything. Don't worry about vanity stats, at most go str 10 and int 10. You definitely want at least dex 18.
>>
>>51924594
I'm unfortunately a variant human with 28 point buy (For some weird fucking reason) so 16's the most DEX can be at level 1.
>>
>>51924149
Gall-Peters is an ugly piece of shit, which distorts actual shapes of landmasses horribly. There are plenty of better map projections even if you want to avoid >Muh cultural imperialism.
>>
>>51924605
Sorry, brain fart. I'd go with Dex 16, Con 16, Wis 12, Str 12, and Cha or Int at 8 or 10. I think that'd work.
>>
>>51924661
Actually that's a good idea. He's specifically not meant to be very Charismatic so I will drop it to 8. Thanks to Human feat Sharpshooter I can cap DEX at level 8 and all future ASI's and feats are gravy.
>>
>>51921774
What's polymorph for? It doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>51924571
Then again, it's on the DM to make sure a level 2 spell won't trivialize a CR 13 monster. What I'd do is add some thralls with blindsight. There are plenty of Underdark monsters that would fit, like Grells, Grimlocks or Hook Horrors. Hell, even a bunch of Violet Fungus would do, to force those Concentration checks.
>>
So what's the next 5e book on the horizon?
>>
File: beholder violet fungus.png (2MB, 725x1326px) Image search: [Google]
beholder violet fungus.png
2MB, 725x1326px
>>51924727
>beholder with violet fungus

Is this a reference to Sekarvu, the beholder that loves the consistency of people who're rotting from violet fungus wounds?
>>
>>51924774
Tales from the Yawning Portal. It's sort of a "Greatest Hits" compilation of single-dungeon adventures from editions past updated for 5e, with in-character commentary in the same style found in Volo's guide.
>>
>>51924774
A collection of some classic dungeons from previous editions.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
>>
>>51923900
>Makes the magic item pretty worthless, but so far it's been near-useless anyway, so..
What is it exactly a transforming weapon? If so you could still use it to provide some degree of versatility.
>Halberd to take advantage of reach/lunge and polearm master
>Great Axe or Maul to maximize damage
>Battle Axe if you are facing a dangerous enemy and would benefit from a shield
>>
>>51924823
I had no idea who that was before you mentioned it, anon. But it's good to know I wasn't the first to make this association of creatures.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (64KB, 730x974px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
64KB, 730x974px
>>51924851
>>
Wild Magic Sorcerer is fun!
>>
>>51924503
>Other than there being a truly amazing +2, +2d6 necrotic greatsword? Not really.
Huh. Seems a bit... dark for a LG Paladin to use.

Is it evil? I might go GWF if it's not, as I'd be the only one likely to use it (fighter has Dueling and Cleric probably won't drop his warhammer for it).
>>
>>51924930
Hazirawn? Yeah, it's a sentient neutral evil greatsword. Doesn't have anything that says it tries to take over besides the fact that it talks though, so no worries about that.
>>
Is the light from the fire on a nightmare considered magical?
>>
>>51920435
What's wrong with the UA paladins?
>>
>>51923636
Alternative: don't and have an actually fun game
but seriously you should ask your players if they even want this as a thing. Take it too far and you're just making an unwelcome play experience.
>>
>>51925013
>thinking the DM won't capitalize on having a powerful sentient evil weapon to fuck with the party

>>51924930
>not wanting to be such a righteous paladin that you can bend an evil blade to your will and use it to do good
>>
>>51925013
I might be able to work off that.
"Evil sword, I shall teach you the values of defending the weak and the downtrodden!"

Then again I might not even find that, because I think the DM has been tweaking the adventure... Our second encounter, he kept switching between calling our human adversaries "cultists" and "bandits", eventually settling on calling them evil sellswords...
>>
>>51925108
Well I didn't see your post when I typed out >>51925124 but yeah, as long as it carries no curse or can't dominate its wielder, I can totally work off being a goody-two-shoes who'll teach the evil blade the value of goodness.
>>
In the expectation no one will answer this before the new thread-

My character was killed a while back and had his heart removed, and resurrected by Vhaeraun in exchange for the god getting his soul when he dies next. That's fine, but when he was resurrected, his heart grew back, and whenever he pisses Vhaeraun off, it starts to burn and stops beating.

The problem I have is that most of my character's lifelong enemies (he being built around seeking revenge against all who have wronged him in some way) are supporters of Vhaeraun. So every time he tries to set up ways to kill them, his heart stops and he can't continue.

Any ideas how I can fix this, without Vhaeraun noticing?
>>
>>51924893
I mean that is certainly useful since since it allows you to prepare for any situation.
>Fighting a dangerous enemy with a large bonus to attack rolls
Summon a longsword or axe and use a shield so you won't get hit as easily.
>Fighting an enemy that isn't dangerous to you but is dangerous to your allies
Summon a halberd and stand next to your allies to dissuade the enemy from approaching them (and more importantly from their perspective you) and helping keep enemies back (push them back each turn, when they move into your range you can attack them as a reaction).
>Fighting a horde of weak mooks who you might be able to kill in one or two hits
If you have GWM get a greatsword and hack and slash, when you kill someone you can attack another as a bonus action.
>Enemy is too fast for you to catch up with
Summon a bow and let loose. Not ideal seeing how you aren't a dex fighter but better than spending the entire fight running in circles.

Its main advantage is probably the AC bonus and that it lets you carry around a ton of weapons without using all of your carrying capacity. I mean it isn't secretly OP and exploitable as far as I can tell but it is far from useless.
>>
>>51925145
Hire someone else
Reroll and play that person
>>
>>51925146
maybe useless was the wrong word, but it's definitely underpowered compared to the rest of the items the party got.

My issue with it is it's main attribute is versatility, but we don't fight very different opponents. We seem to spend a lot of time fighting 1-3 very strong opponents from the MM, and not a lot of time doing anything else. I think he's still working out how to balance fights properly, and they've swung from stupidly easy to incredibly hard very quickly, partly due to the items he's given everyone.

For example last session the party (6 players+DMPC) were set upon by 3 Bulettes. Yes, 3.
>>
>>51925124
>>51925143
Hoard of the Dragon Queen was written as the rules of 5e were being developed. As such, it unfortunately has some things that don't mesh well with the final print of the rules. For example, the book mentions at a point enemies having "high alertness", referring to a rule that doesn't exist anymore, and a few encounters are kinda crazy due to the change in power of some creatures along the playtest.

Because of this, the DM is pretty much required to tweak the adventure in several sections. One being the fact that Hazirawn as a sentient weapon is not "finished", lacking some of the features those weapons should have. I have added in those, since any sentient weapon can and will try to dominate its wielder if they work against its goals and ideals. This requires a Charisma save, which actually makes paladins the most likely to resist.
>>
File: 1444491716403.gif (108KB, 344x376px) Image search: [Google]
1444491716403.gif
108KB, 344x376px
>>51925165
Super helpful.
>>
>>51925145
Promise soul to another god
Kill self
Laugh into oblivion while gods fight over your soul.
>>
File: i completely understand.jpg (62KB, 660x441px) Image search: [Google]
i completely understand.jpg
62KB, 660x441px
https://github.com/5egmegaanon/5etoolsR20

5etoolsR20 now supports loading all spells in the game into level-organized handouts, with the source file defaulting to the 5etools spell compendium JSON file.
>>
>>51925108
Never said it couldn't try to convince, harass, or in general fuck with the wielder and/or group, just that it doesn't have anything on it saying it can take over the wielder. I should know, my DM likes to pull that kinda shit. Which is great, makes things interesting and fun.
>>
>>51924726
Dragons being able to change shape, though one can say Disguise and Alter Self fits that better.
>>
So it's generally been a minor issue that due to size shit, short races don't get a d8 bow option unless they have a crossbow, which while flavorful enough for dwarves at least, means burning a feat on crossbow expert.

I've been thinking of instead just adding back ammo-dependent damage, as it was in 2e, which sheaf arrows doing d8, flight arrows doing d6, and bows only determining range.

>>51913748
>tfw forever DM
All of them
(realistically, I've never played a Paladin, a Monk, or a Warlock of the core stuff)
>>
How do I get consecutive ranged sneak attacks off as a rogue? Both me and my DM have different understandings of how hide works and I don't think either of us are right

As soon as a fight starts am I allowed to go into full cover and hide-shot-hide? Or is that piece of cover only applicable for fights where I start off already hidden?
>>
>>51925459
Wouldn't faerie fire make every single attack you make a sneak attack while it's active.

Also no you don't have to be hidden, your DM is thinking of AD&D Backstabs.
>>
>>51924924

fuck off Dorian, quit trying to get us killed
>>
>>51925482
Who? My Sorcerer's name is Lendron.
>>
>>51925501

well you can fuck off too. death to wild mages
>>
>>51925481
Okay, but is there any other way to force ranged advantage other than having my teammates use spells?
>>
>>51925206
Fair enough. If you really feel that it is underpowered you should talk to your DM especially if your lack of damage output makes you dislike the game (either due to feeling useless or due to disliking being a straight tank).

I mean I'm not your DM but if you came to me about disliking the route your character has taken and is taking I wouldn't mind either letting you respec your character to some extent or have you find a more useful magical weapon, maybe some sort of magic glaive that stacks with your battlemaster maneuvers (eg. opponents have disadvantage on strength saving throws to resist maneuvers) or your potential reaction attacks (eg. extra d4 damage when you attack as a reaction).
>>
>>51925376
As I said above, HotDQ didn't have the finalized rules to work with. A DM should give mental stats to the sword and establish a Charisma save DC for when the sword tries to dominate its wielder, which it will if they acts against the sword's will or whenever the sword has a chance to do what it wants.

In my game, it wants to bring destruction and pain to whatever stands in its way. So far, the only time I made its wielder roll a Charisma save against it was when he drew it to intimidate some NPCs. Had he failed, the sword would force him to attack immediately.
>>
>>51925508
Who is this Dorian? Why are you so angry at them?
>>
>>51925556

ok now I'm thinking you really are Dorian. go to bed. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>51925573
Why are you such an aggressive person? I'm just asking a question.
>>
>>51925579

wild mages are scum
>>
>>51925582
>Much weaker origin for Sorcerer by a mile
>Mostly just for fun
>Most of the surges are harmless or only harm the Sorcerer

Where did the Sorcerer touch you?
>>
>>51925582
Why?
>>
>>51923436
Your stats kinda suck. If you rolled, you're probably the group's loser. That can be a big factor against you.
>>
Have to ask, In lore sorcerers have to have magical like in them to be sorcerers, theortically could a wizard alter themselves with magic to become a sorcerer?
>>
>>51925605
>>51925608

>fighting against Black Dragon
>immediately goes out of his way to position himself so that 3 of us are lined up for a breath attack
>next fight
>constantly tries to stay close to at least 2 other party members
>"lololol I hope I don't roll fireball this time"

DELET WILD MAGE
>>
>>51923645
PHB ranger's favored enemy choice is basically meaningless anyway. It doesn't do anything.
>>
>>51925648
Sounds like you're a salty bitch who can't handle someone having fun with a very weak Origin.

You need to calm down.
>>
>>51925666

>satan thinks getting party members killed is fun
>>
>>51923645
I mostly like new ranger but I admit I'm a bit sad that they lose the closest they had to expertise with the revised terrain ability.
>>
>>51925671
From the sounds of it, you're in a setting where characters are disposable.
>>
I'm going to build a character around the Tavern Brawler feat, but I haven't decided on anything except that I'm going to take it and take it as far as I can.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>51925625
We rolled two sets, I just checked my notes and I had the choice of
>11, 12, 10, 11, 13, 9
>14, 11, 10, 10, 13, 9

I took set B , put the 14 to STR, racial bonus +1 to the 13 and set that to CON.

At 4th I bumped STR up to 16.

Is that bad? I try to build decently, but i'm still pretty new to DnD - this was my first martial (previously having played a 3.5e Wizard and a 5e Druid)
>>
>>51925684
Barbarian/Monk multiclass.
>>
>>51925671
>Implying it isn't
I've had more fun with D&D trying to get my party's cleric killed than actually fighting enemies.
>>
>>51923098
Well, considering that the landmass was formed by a combination of divine intervention and a supervolcano erupting at the same time it has a pretty unusual shape in that it's mostly elliptical.
>>
>>51925685
your stats are a little under the par but your build is completely workable. there are some more "optimal" choices but you're doing perfectly fine with your current build. your build doesn't dish out a ton of damage but it should have good AC and fairly consistent DPR. sentinel also helps keep enemies away from your allies.
>>
>>51923900
>Ah fuck. I'll flick him a message, don't know how that will go down though.
That guy must be pulling your leg. Dueling still does 85% of the damage as GWF, up to 95% if you're doing Polearm Mastery.
>>
Dueling with Shield Master - do you include the bonus damage when the player uses the shield offensively?
>>
>>51925753
No, the bonus action shove does not deal damage
>>
>>51925753
If you can count the shield as a weapon and are not wielding anything else in the other hand, then I believe so. You have to be only holding the shield though.
>>
>>51924726

This >>51925407 plus turning yourself into a dragon I guess. Honestly isn't that something all dragon sorcerer's do even if it isn't the best idea?
>>
>>51925651
Yeah, but they still get advantages to tracking, which can be useful, especially when an enemy gets away. That was why when I played a Ranger, before the revision came out, he'd picked humans and another humanoid at 1st level.

>>51925679
I agree there. The loss of favored terrain is the part I'm really bummed about with the Revised Ranger.
>>
I found a Wild Surge table from 2e and I honestly think this looks much better in general then the default 5e one. Somethings would require tweaking and that but seems less randumb.

http://www.thievesguild.cc/spells/wild-surge
>>
>>51925824
I've been looking for a good alternative to the current Wild Magic table, and this one looks promising. Thanks for the link!
>>
>>51925848
I'm using it in for the wild sorcerer in the game I'm running soon. We also agreed to add half his level to the roll because most of the better effects are high numbers.

I'm doing the rolling so if something a bit too stupid comes up (Something that would TPK) I can veto it without anyone knowing.
>>
new thread
>>51925895
>>
>>51925859
Never forget to let the fireball hit the party occasionally for shits and giggles!

I remember my very first game, which was an OotA run. The DM had our Wild Sorcerer roll on the WMT every time she cast a spell. Although many things happened, she only caused a fireball once (which led to my character's second death and reincarnation into a cyborg halfling). Good times man. Good times.
>>
>>51925374
I'm gonna find you anon.
I'm gonna find you and suck that dick you hero
>>
So, moon druids.

Looking around, there seems to be a lot of confusion about the workings of how wild shape interacts with abilities and feats.

Do we have actual sage advice on this?

I am asking as a GM. Right now, we interpret it as follows:
Feats and abilities, except for senses (dark vision etc.) Transfer over to the wild shape form.

I am rather generous, so feats, including ASI's, transfer over - i want there to be a mechanical point of taking strength and dexterity. Of course, 20 is still the natural cap, so unless the monster somehow exceeds 20 (not to my knowledge) it cannot go past it.

Furthermore, I find it odd to allow feats to work, but not ordinary ASI. Why would you gain dex/strength/con from a feat, but not an ordinary ASI?

How do you play this out, and do we have an official ruling on this?
>>
>>51924254
>mind flayers can't mind blast because of antimagic cones
>beholders can't use eyes because of antimagic cones

just keep hacking until you're done
>>
Finish this joke:

"A beholder, a mind flayer, and a dragon walk into a bar..."
>>
>>51926204
... and stay there forever, as it is an Immovable Rod covered in Sovereign Glue.
>>
>>51924378
rivers don't split up like that.
>>
>>51922179
A lot of 4e's abilities would be extremely hard to justify the use of.

How the hell does everyone attack themself by you going past them? You deflect their swords into their faces? I can understand just one 'You counterattack after an enemy misses you' or possibly a gish going 'Your enemy must make a wis save or recklessly attack you with their reaction, making an attack with disadvantage before you make an attack against them'.. Or something.

But this is just 'You walk along and everybody suddenly feels compelled to maul their own face off, no save'.
Thread posts: 455
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.