[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 35

File: latest[1].png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.
>>51912965

>how have you venerated the Raven Queen lately?
>>
File: 5e concept art.jpg (213KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
5e concept art.jpg
213KB, 1536x864px
Repostan

So I've never played Druid before, doing a Firbolg Moon Druid now and feeling a bit lost. My party is rogue (swashbuckler twf), ranger (ranged hunter but with defense fighting style for some reason) and two monks (OH and shadow, both only at 18 dex because stormwind fallacy), all of us level 8. I figured moon druid for tanking would be good, I've got 1 feat left over (rolled a 16 so I have 20 wis using the first ASI) and I think Tome of Beasts is fine but not sure about other third party books. Any recommendations for feats/spells/animals? The ranger has Pass Without Trace but idk which other spells. We'll be fighting aberrations and vampires in a megadungeon first, then some other stuff I think and then a lot of undead.
>>
>>51912924
>Patron is a level 1 feature though, so there can be a patron that changes your spellcasting attribute.
I'm just curious as to whether or not changing them entirely to INT as a houserule would make the class unplayable. It just doesn't seem like that strong of a class if you take away the use of CHA as a primary attribute. I mean, imagine going Bladelock with INT as your primary attribute. That seems like it would be downright awful. So I'm a bit stuck.
>>
>>51908019
>Aasimar unfortunately make only half decent Paladins and Clerics, when the should be better for it.

what more could you possibly want beyond resist necrotic, +2 cha, +1 wis con or str and an extra +level to 1.5 level DPR every now and again?
>>
> people who doesn't know that true polymorph take away your spell casting class feature
> people who doesn't who that polymorph can be dispel
>>
>>51913029
>that tall qt next to the human
that's a female firbolg, right? Because she's adorable
I want her to princess carry me
>>
>>51913057
And I meant that for paladins. For clerics, the only +2 wis race is fuckin Tumblrnose with no real racial abilities, or perhaps a variant human (second most overpowered race strikes again) with a +1 to wis feat.
>>
File: Capture.png (196KB, 524x492px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
196KB, 524x492px
>>51913029
I didn't know there was a high res version of that pic, that's good as a reference because I feel like the Firbolg PC I made looks too much like just a hueg elf with an amish beard.
>>
>>51913067
>fetishizing male weakness

I'll never understand giantfags.
>>
>>51913045
The class's dark spellcaster theme lends itself to deception and intimidation, but that's not so different from enchanter and illusionist.
>>
>>51913061
>every encounter must have a spellcaster to compensate for overpowered polymorph spells.
>>
>>51913108
If the nose was bigger, broader and chunkier and the ears were a bit more swoopy (?) it would look quite like one, but yeah it mostly just looks like an elf. Bushier and messier eyebrows and not as fine blond-looking hair might help as well, though a blond Firbolg sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>51913029
Sentinel is amazing, getting to attack on reaction regularly is bueno. Secondly as long as you keep your reaction for opportunity attacks, things don't get to leave your bubble without say.

Warcaster could be good if you plan on spellcasting for buffs then wildshape. Barkskin + Wild Shape will give you a nice AC. Faerie Fire and Call Lightning aren't bad either.

Mobile is good too for keeping you moving around the battlefield. If you happen to be fighting a lot of spread out battles it may be important for you to change position through enemy lines often.

Skilled helps character building and instantly makes you much more effective out of combat but the word "megadungeon" and out of combat encounters usually don't meld well.

Observant is the last one, having a crazy high passive perception is good and having one person in the party with it is great. It would have to go into intelligence but the bonuses aren't bad especially where traps are found.
>>
>>51913125
Nah, I'm not like that, I just think she's cute. I don't really fetishize the whole princess carry thing but the only other thing I could think of was "hug" and princess carrying is basically the same as hugging just more interesting
>>
>>51913142
nah its more like
>true polymorph lets you turn monks and warlocks into relevant members of the party
>>
>>51913157
Hey, warlocks can get their own TP.
>>
>>51913155
Thanks, I think sentinel will be my choice since it's going to be dungeon-heavy to start at least, and my gm doesn't use passive perception so observant isn't very good in general. Alert might be good though, he's quite loose with the surprise rules and my initiative is like +2.
>>
>>51913183
The warlock: a problem that fixes itself, one way or another

Although becoming a full on pit fiend at level 20 is an honestly rather cool epilogue for a warlock.
>>
>>51913157
Warlocks are always relevant if built right though.

>eldritch blast damage
>silent image at will
>disguise self at will
>levitate at will
>familiars that can turn invisible at will, and easily help action the main damage dealer of the party, giving them advantage every attack, all while flying in and out of range of melee attacks for free
>better smites than the paladin with bladelock
>knows more cantrips than the bard with tome

Warlocks are great. I wish I could actually play the game so I could play them.
>>
File: 1475701017519.jpg (27KB, 460x368px) Image search: [Google]
1475701017519.jpg
27KB, 460x368px
>Parties that polymorph their allies into some big brutish beast and still play them as being the same creature, despite only retaining "alignment and personality" and dropping to 3 int
>>
>>51913228

>and dropping to 3 int

Well yes, eventually the polymorph effect is gonna end and the monk's int is going to go back to what it was before, you don't have to rub it in
>>
File: show me.gif (3MB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
show me.gif
3MB, 400x200px
>>51913220
>>better smites than the paladin with bladelock
Now this I've gotta see.
>>
File: Ghastly.png (489KB, 870x338px) Image search: [Google]
Ghastly.png
489KB, 870x338px
>>51912676 continuing my GOOlock.

I think Pact of the Chain is most fitting for "MUH EYESIGHT" as a theme.

I think a little floating Ghastly-type shadow eyeball would be neat.

Question is, should I go Imp for Invisibility or Gazer because it's more fitting to refluff into one?
>>
>>51913275
Check the new UA. PHB and Hexblade Bladelocks (Undying gets fucked yet again) get invocations that summon a special weapon that can burn a spell slot for 2d8 * slot level damage with additional effects varying by pact, such as no-save knocked prone or speed reduced to zero.

Do you guys think they're going to lift the "PHB +1" rule for AL when PHB2 comes out, or are Genasi going to be banned from using all of the elemental magic sorcerers, again?
>>
>>51913275
>without unearthed arcana:
Using the vanilla, suggested adventuring day rules, a 2 Pal/XWarlock can pump out more total spell levels into smites than the paladin can, if both players use spell slots only for smiting. This basically means the warlock will pump out more smite damage than the paladin. At all levels IIRC, and even taking into account how some of the warlock smite levels are wasted due to the smite damage cap. It's been a while since I did the math.

>New Warlock UA
Pure warlocks smite twice as efficiently as paladins, with their smite damage capping at 10d8 as opposed to 5d8. The same math as above applies too, so they get to smite more often than paladins.
>>
>>51913220
>Disguise Self at will
A wizard can pretty much replicate this, if you work out how frequently you rest versus how frequently you disguise (even if you're being liberal with your disguises) thn unless you disguise all day long from your party you don't really need it at-will when you have wizard spell slots and arcane recovery.
>Silent image at will
Kind of like the above. If you REALLY need to spend your action in combat to do that (It can be pretty nice) you can usually afford to spend a level 1 spell slot on it. Usually. That said, you could get some great flavourful out of combat usage iwth this, like disguise self at will.
>Levitate at will
Eh, or a wizard can just fly, I guess, but it's not so bad.
>Familiars
Invisibility isn't all it's souped up to be and wizards get free familiars too. But it is still a bit better, though you have to use your pact option on it.
>Better smites
With the UA, yes. With the UA, I'd say warlock can be pretty decent, but certain changes need to be made. Seriously, some of those things such as at-will seeing through walls.
>Knows more cantrips than a class that starts with two cantrips
Actually, the bard CAN get more cantrips by using their magical secrets on cantrips. But that's stupid unless you're multiclassing paladin and want charisma shillelagh. Similarly, warlock gets charisma shillelagh, but at level 3 instead of 6.

Warlocks are really flavourful but they kinda need the latest UA to reach tier 1 material.
>>
>>51913342
>>51913331
I guess the tradeoff there is that the Paladin has armor, huh?
>>
>>51913368
If you take hexblade, you get medium armor proficiency. Or you can just take 2 levels of paladin at the start, so you can Paladin Smite and Warlock Smite in the same turn (for 30d8 Smite damage in the first turn, with 2 attacks). You get Heavy Proficiency then.
>>
>>51913368
The pal/warlock does too in this case, obviously.

That being said, the paladin's main niche is great party wide buffs and allowing his party to succeed in saves, and so being more offensively powerful than a primarily defensive class in the hopes you will get lots of short rests seems a reasonable tradeoff.
>>
File: 1425531884302.png (3MB, 3163x2869px) Image search: [Google]
1425531884302.png
3MB, 3163x2869px
>>51913368
Yeah, and the fact that Warlocks only get 2 spell slots per short rest for most of the game that actually gets played.
Hexblade actually gets Medium armor and some lenience from MAD by having one handed pact weapons use Cha, but then their special weapon is a Greatsword, enabling GWM but causing more MAD. GOO gets a flail with reach, Fiend gets a mace (so you could multiclass monk I guess), and Fey gets a bow, but while bow-smites are cool their special ability is just werewolf-deterrent.

Really, the point in all this is that they're a potential draw for Bladelocks, they're REALLY good bait for dipping Warlock 3 and combining it with Paladin so you get more smites over the average day as well as armor, fighting style, etc (you can even triple-smite by using a smite bonus action spell, then burning a slot for Divine Smite and warlock!smite) or multiclassing Bladesinger (MAD as shit, but you could hang at 13 Wis and Cha and max Int/Dex, take Warlock 3/Monk 1, and have spell slots forever for Mace of Dispater smashing.)
>>
>>51913368
>armor of hexes
no tradeoff here senpai
>>
>>51913458
That's a good point. the moon druid gets two uses of wild shape per short rest, or one of elemental shape. The smite warlock gets two hits.
>>
Dexterity determines modifiers on attack rolls with half of the available weapons in the game, modifiers on initiative rolls and a modifier on your AC, provided you don't wear armor that is too heavy.

Is it safe to say that dexterity's got too much that's reliant on it?
>>
File: 1452310174216.jpg (149KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1452310174216.jpg
149KB, 600x900px
Hex Warrior
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons. In addition, when attacking with a melee weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two handed property, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.
>Lance; Reach, Special
TONIGHT, WE RIDE
>>
>>51913540
It's the godstat, I don't know how you define what is "too" much though. It's not like strength isn't viable, but the barbarian has to require strength to be used with some features and heavy armor needed to be +1 ac than the best of the others to make up for it for example. A perfect system would probably not need those kinds of fixes and have a more balanced core, but that's not 5e at all. 4e does stats well I think.
>>
File: 1450316927173.jpg (45KB, 750x826px) Image search: [Google]
1450316927173.jpg
45KB, 750x826px
>>51913549
Actually, you can use any Versatile weapon, too.
>>
>>51913540
Yes.

I think allowing players to add Int to initiative (using the justification laid out in the Loremaster UA), at the very least, would help lessen the issue.
>>
>>51913663
Why would they put points into Int for initiative when they can put points into Dex for initiative, AC and attack roll modifiers?

Unless they're a wizard that is, the only class that cares about Int.
>>
>>51913692
He's probably playing in a game with a viable psionics class. (Expect it to be added to 5e in 2018, 4th quarter!)
>>
>>51913692
INT skills, I guess.
The highest INT bonus in my party is +1, which only ever comes up when we need stuff like a knowledge skill.
>>
On a scale of 1-"why" how stupid is Sharpshooter Warlock?
>>
>>51913727
Completely viable as UA Fey
>>
>>51913540

Not really, dex is about where it should be. All the best fighting techniques generally depend on str. The fact that you ***CAN*** use dex to fight doesn't mean its a great idea.
>>
>>51913727
If you are Archfey Moon Bow -lock, 600ft radiant smites are pretty awesome.
>>
>>51913823
I don't think that's the issue so much as 90% of characters are going to take high DEX because there's no reason not to.
>>
>>51913655
That's +1 damage though, not a big deal really. Reach is very nice and seems like just the best option if you don't want a shield.
>>
>>51913823
>dex is where it should be
>trade -1 on AC for +5 on dex saves
>used on initiative and more skills
>lots of dm just let athletics check be acrobatics instead
How can STRcucks even compete?
>>
>>51913858
Same as constitution, and intelligence in 3e.

>>51913883

>How can STRcucks even compete?

with polearms and great weapon fighting I guess
>>
>>51912984
Looking for some awesome Bladesinger setups if anyone has some.

Or opinions on them as well
>>
So I got bored today and made a beholder from a ping pong ball, milliput and beads....look ok?
>>
>>51913972
Thin your paints.
>>
>>51913972
Pretty nice senpai
>>
Is there any meme-tier Monk multiclasses or is it pretty much best without multiclassing?
>>
>>51913910
I don't think "3e had the same problem" is a valid reason to not fix something
>>
>>51913972
I like it. Been meaning to do one like this, but I honestly think I could probably buy a Reaper Bones figure for cheaper than I could buy the craft supplies I need.
>>
>>51914009
Assassin Rogue 6/Shadow Monk 14 for ultimate Ninja
>>
>>51914036
My mistake, meant to say
Is there any meme-tier Monk multiclasses *for levels that I'll actually get to play
>>
>>51914019
Its not something that requires a fix. Dex is more of an economic way for a not very combat focused character to cover a lot of bases at once, or for a strictly ranged character. In, say, 4e, nothing stops you from having a top notch melee character that uses intelligence, wisdom, or charisma, so the stats have to be more balanced in a vacuum there.
>>
>>51913692
It would benefit EKs just as much as wizards, since they cast with it and can wear heavy armour and use non-finesse weapons.
>>
>>51914034
I hear you, however I just didnt like the bones one
>>
>>51914019
No, to the average grognard who posts on forums and chinese wowfarming boards, that is a valid reason. Remember, 5e was hailed as a return to the roots of DnD, which to these retards basically means their 3.pf comfort zone.
>>
>>51914019
It's a core issue with D&D, as long as universally good things (like hp, ac, strong saves) are determined by stats, some stats will be better than others. I think 4e did it well (haven't played it) with being able to choose which stat out of two the saves rely on and most classes/paths having several stats to rely on.
>>
>>51914085
Amazing projection
>>
>>51914101
Meant to also say that you can balance it out by having universally good things determine by stats equal out, say you make initiative int and make charisma and strength matter somehow, suddenly there is no universal set of dump stats but rather will depend on what the character wants to do and be good at. But because it's a streamlined version of previous editions and this has been a thing in D&D, it's not something they sought to solve.
>>
>>51914101

Right, but since you can use any stat to beat people up with nearly any weapon in 4e, of course the stats are going to be more evened out.
>>
>>51914116
Yes, I am projecting my own intense desire for 3.pf mechanics, despite obviously hating that element of the community.

Amazing armchair psychology!
>>
Is Long Death Monk any good?

I never hear anyone here talk about it.
>>
>>51912984
What would you guys think of an elemental warrior monk sound like? Instead of being a poor-man's sorcerer like Wot4e, they could attune to elements for permanent effects.

Things like 1d4 fire damage to martial arts attacks, getting reach, gaining AC etc.

It would emphasize more on a monk doing monk things than trying to spellcast with monk fluff.
>>
>>51914172
There's nothing to discuss really. It's okay, but its not anything special. The only major thing to come out of it was the "bag of rats" meme.
>>
>>51914127
>but rather will depend on what the character wants to do and be good at

Largely, that's strength for melee.
>>
>>51913942
opinions at least?
>>
>>51914223
what is even the question? what sort of stupid bits of multiclass fuckery can you set up to result in a gigantic AC dude?
>>
>>51914206
>The only major thing to come out of it was the "bag of rats" meme.
I never actually looked at it when that was happening but it doesn't say "a hostile creature" so I guess it could fit, and it could even fit in character as something fucked up this crazy-ass death monk does.

Still doubt any DM would allow it.

Wonder if I could get an Undying Warlock/Long Death Monk working together, that seems like it could make a good backstory.
>>
>>51914251
Didn't you see the Mace of Dispater Monk Bladesinger a few threads back?

Fiend Bladelock 3 (For Mace of Dispater)
Monk 1 (To be able to use Mace with Dex)
Bladesinger ----> (For all the reasons you know)

You miss on 9th level spells but are able to make insane 16d8 smites and 30AC and can knock down Huge creatures.
>>
>>51914276
Yeah, I'm glad that sort of cancer was shut down though.
>>
>>51914312
>30AC
explain how
>>
>>51914350
int, wis, dex 20, so +15, shield +5, base 10, ez
>>
Is there any lore book that goes into detail about the various types of magic schools?
>>
>>51914371
Well, even without Wis 20, you can just Mage armor + haste instead of using Unarmored defense.
>>
>>51914371
>int, wis, dex 20

Even at my most absurd level 20 builds, I keep it to 2 stats maxed out.
>>
>>51914404
>concentration keyword

Just because you could doesn't mean you should
>>
File: 1485196307579.jpg (70KB, 464x868px) Image search: [Google]
1485196307579.jpg
70KB, 464x868px
Why are halflings always depicted so fucked up? Why cant' they just be half the size of humans without fucked up heads?
>>
>>51913061
>not polymorphing into a spellcasting creature with counterspell
>>
>>51914426
Then you wouldn't be furiously masturbating to CharOp
>>
>>51914398
Yes, 2e's Complete Book of Necromancers. Or is the question "Does 5e, an edition with nearly fucking nothing printed for it, have a fluff book solely about wizards?"
>>
>>51914491
Nah, just anything printed over the years.

Is there some mega with old school pdfs that would have that?
>>
>>51914458
that image looks fine to me
>>
would Restrained remove one's capacity to use somatic components?

Armor rules seem to suggest "yes"
>>
>>51913409
>>51913368
Also you can't PAM effectively with warlock weapons and attempting to switch to a PAM weapon fucks up invocations such as lifedrinker because it needs to be your pact weapon and it takes an action to resummon a new pact weapon.
>>
>>51914530
Yeah in the OSR thread I think. Complete Guide to Wizards or Book of Wizards or whatever has less, but covers all the schools a little.
>>
What are some good spells for a mêlée focussed Stone Sorcerer that ideally doesn't use his ASIs for boosting his charisma past the current 14?
>>
>>51914547
Step 1: Read the book

Gee, that was real fucking hard.
>>
>>51914350
You can't use a shield during bladesong.
>>
File: necromancer_by_jasontn-d83zo8b.jpg (193KB, 774x1033px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer_by_jasontn-d83zo8b.jpg
193KB, 774x1033px
Do you guys think we'll be getting a Liber Mortis for 5e anytime soon? I'm building a necromancer for our new game and I'm hopeful that we'll get new kinds of undead and undead related lore.
>>
>>51914535
That's not the ones I'm talking about. You've seen the PHB I assume? Yeah, those.
>>
>>51914371
You can't use a shield or it cancels bladesong.
>>
>>51914620
Since when has Shield Spell cancelled bladesong?
>>
>>51914312
>>51914371

Hm.
You'd need CHA, DEX WIS and INT at 13 for starting stats. Reckon something with INT and DEX to keep your toes light on the ASI, maybe a Gnome or a Triton or something
>>
>>51914631
Starting at 2nd level, you can invoke a secret elven magic called the Bladesong, provided you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield.

Since always, read the fucking book.
>>
>>51914312
>Multiclassing with UA
>Allowing shit like bladesinger 'Give me more AC'
>Having 20 wisdom, 20 dexterity, 20 intellect and 13 charisma
>>
>>51914608
You said "always," not "in the 5e PHB"
>>
>>51914631

not the shield spell, I think he means an actual shield
>>
File: 1488035736148.jpg (282KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488035736148.jpg
282KB, 1920x1080px
>>51914660
>A shield
>Shield spell
>>
>>51914573

Book doesn't say either way
>>
>>51914665
I don't think this is possible without rolling for stats, but you can start off as a warlock then multiclass.
>>
>>51914660
>read the fucking book.

you mean, the splat book. Since it's not a PHB subclass
>>
>>51914700
Multiclassing out of a class doesn't get around the 13 charisma restriction.

Also forgot
>Your hit chance is based on either strength or charisma
>>
>>51914665
>>Having 20 wisdom, 20 dexterity, 20 intellect and 13 charisma

I'm running the sim, and those stats could actually work.

You just have to entirely give up on feats. (not like with Bladesong you'd need that much warcaster anyway
>>
>>51914251
>what is even the question?

What the general opinion on a bladesinger is.

Possibly without the attempts to be broken and OP fuckery
>>
>>51914726
Ah your right!
>>
File: DSC_1773_med_i.jpg (273KB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1773_med_i.jpg
273KB, 1280x936px
How do you guys handle the rules for Counterspell? Specifically, does the caster of Counterspell know what spell is about to be cast before he decides to Counterspell it? Hell, does he even know afterwards?

I had this come up for the first time last night. I just used an Arcana check but he got a 4 so I didn't have to think too hard about how hard I wanted to set the DC (I was thinking 20 or 22), but I'm curious to know if anybody had any better solutions.
>>
>>51914742
Explain how does this work. Point-buy would not allow this.
>>
>>51914700
Nope, you need the stat as that to multiclass. Gotta dump Wis and Str entirely, maybe using alternative starting stats to get like 15, 15, 13, 10, 8, 8
>>
>>51914742

I've corrected my data and you actually can't do this.

Most you can go is Dex 18, Int 20 and Wis 14
>>
>>51914780

Sorry, didn't mean to self quote

See below
>>51914842

Though you can casually achieve armor class 28 as pure Spellsinger (30 by attuning something simple like a ring of greater protection)

Mage Armor + Shield + Int Dex 20
>>
File: 1400528884102.png (88KB, 181x235px) Image search: [Google]
1400528884102.png
88KB, 181x235px
I'm so hype for the new game that I will be making Link for a coming one-shot. the question is should I go Eldritch Knight, Ranger hunter, or valor bard?
>>
>>51914742
You would have to roll for stats. At a minimum, you would need to roll 17,17,15,13,?,?
>>
>>51914211
Which makes sense, the complaint isn't "I want to use intelligence to beat people up", but rather "I don't want every character to need a stat". Every character should to some extent need every stat, but as it is most classes have a dump stat that has basically zero use for them and there's no point in boosting it.
>>
How would you feel about a Theme option for 5th edition, for higher powered campaigns? For reference, Themes were an option introduced midway through 4e that anyone could take, that added features at 1st, 5th, and 10th level.
>>
File: Picture.jpg (125KB, 301x536px) Image search: [Google]
Picture.jpg
125KB, 301x536px
>>51913029
Any spell/wild shape help? Have a colored fembolg.
>>
>>51914660
perhaps you should be the one practicing reading, anon. he's clearly talking about the shield spell, which is obvious because shields don't give +5 AC
>>
File: Monk Gun.jpg (61KB, 766x511px) Image search: [Google]
Monk Gun.jpg
61KB, 766x511px
>>51914052
There is, actually.

>Artificer 1/Monk 3
>Choose Gunsmith for Artificer
>Get the 2d6 Thunder Gun
>Choose Human
>Use the feat on Crossbow Expert
>No penalty for firing ranged within 5 feet
>Monk
>Way of the Kensei
>Choose the gun as one of your Kensei weapons
>Instantly stronk
>>
>>51914907
Link is obviously a GOO Bladelock, which is why he can communicate despite being a mute and pull weapons out of his ass.
>>
In a low to mid magic world, how would magic affect naval battles?
>>
>>51915033
His Great Old One patron being Farore, the creator of all life, but in a different universe.
>>
>>51914940
I'd do level 1, 6, 12 and 19(or 20?) options for choices from a new feat list that focuses on enabling new playstyles (rather than buffing current ones), giving you cool non-combat tricks or helping develop a character mechancially.

Stuff like keen mind or actor, not GWM or CBE.
>>
File: GuildWars2-04-1440x900.jpg (404KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
GuildWars2-04-1440x900.jpg
404KB, 1440x900px
Aetherborn (For stats only, not fluff) Revenant

Your spooky undead character has certain traits deriving
from your unusual nature.
Ability Score Increase. Your Con increases by 2, and two other ability scores of your choice
increase by 1. (This is taking the +2 CHA from Aetherborn and effectively replacing it with a +1 CON, the second CON is from Revenant)

Size: Medium

Speed: 25 feet

Darkvision. Accustomed to the night, you have superior
vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in
dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light,
and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern
color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Condition immunities: Exhaustion, Poisoned (Not poison damage mind you)
Resistances: necrotic
damage.
Menacing. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation
skill.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common
and two other languages of your choice.

Relentless Nature
If you are below half your hit point maximum at the start of your turn and conscious, you regain 1 hit point.

If you die, you return to life 24 hours after death. If your body is destroyed, you reform at the place of your creation and may be removed from the game for an indefinite amount of time by the DM depending on how far away this is, unless you have a means to return to the party's location quickly such as the Gate spell.

You have the Drain Life ability: an unarmed
attack that deals 1d6 necrotic damage and restores the same
number of hit points to the user. However, if the user
goes for 7 days without dealing this damage, their hit point
maximum is reduced by 1d6 per week. This reduction can’t be
removed until the user has used their Drain Life ability and
completed a long rest. Using this attack on a willing target
is an automatic critical hit.
This attack cannot target Constructs

You cannot regain HP from resting, however gain Spell Slots and other benefits as normal. You do not need to sleep.

On a scale of 1-just stop how unbalanced is this?
>>
>>51915053
Pretty significantly. A fireball could probably do serious damage, but if you have magic then someone might just as easily be able to put it out.
>>
>>51915033
>>51915081
nah, hes proficient with crapton of things that warlocks lack.
>>
>>51915053
>Low magic
Not much, but people might actually be more willing to believe tales of ghost ships and the like, or legendary pirates with magical loot.

>Mid magic
You might start seeing magical weapons in warfare and to affect the weather. Fire magic, maybe some boats being made fireproof and/or water-based mages helping out at sea.
However, not every crew would be expected to have one.

An admiral might possibly have something powerful that can help change the tide of a fight by affecting the weather.

>High magic
Expect every ship to have some sort of magician, unless it's small.
>>
>>51915053
Firebolt and similar spells seems like the biggest one, depends on conditions of course but being able to set fire to something from range is very good (there's a reason movies fucking love fire arrows). You also have water-shaping spells and such that could have huge impact but that depends on the gm's ruling of how they work there.
>>
>>51915053
>Get close in
>Cleric uses Create/Destroy Water on the cannons
>Cannons can't fire, waterlogged
>>
My players are going to be spending a lot of time in a big-ass city. How crazy should I go in mapping it? I was thinking of just having a large abstract district-level map showing the layout of the city, and if I have to zoom in I'll just wing it.

Does anyone have the Pro version of Cityographer? I'm looking for reviews. I like the idea of being able to click on a building if the players jump inside and have it generate residents and interior maps--that's awesome--but I'm wondering how well it works in practice.
>>
>>51914907

What, is majora's MASK and OCCARINA of time, CHA BONUS race, and flashy colors a bit of a subtle hint for ya?
>>
>>51914971
CUTE!
>>
>>51915141
Or a tempest cleric would just blow a hole in the hull with Shatter
>>
File: wizard2.jpg (55KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
wizard2.jpg
55KB, 500x335px
got a player lookin to play a kobold and a brief search has shown me a few homebrew versions people have whipped up, and that volo's guide has a player kobold race rules in it but... i'm looking through the book and am not seeing it..
any ideas?
>>
>>51915053

>Low

Basically, pirates of the Caribbeans.

>Mid

Basically Pirates of the Caribbeans sequels
>>
>>51915197

Got a Kobold who was chosen by a dying dragon to take on his legacy as a (draconic) sorcerer so one day he'd take his place as a guardian of an ancient forgotten temple
>>
File: kobolds.png (293KB, 324x466px) Image search: [Google]
kobolds.png
293KB, 324x466px
>>51915197
here you go
>>
>>51915155
>What, is majora's MASK and OCCARINA of time
powerful magic items
>CHA BONUS race
based on what?
>flashy colors a bit of a subtle hint for ya?
so EK or VB?
>>
File: gun that throws more guns.jpg (153KB, 1280x730px) Image search: [Google]
gun that throws more guns.jpg
153KB, 1280x730px
>>51915245
rockin. source?

also. he's using orcpubs character generator and stumbled on the class "gunsmith artificer"
anyone happen to know what fucking UA that's in? i'd like to learn it and i'd like for my players to play what they want to, but i am entirely unfamiliar with gun classes/mechanics (outside of the modern variant rules i've played with once)
>>
>>51915247
>powerful magic items

Yes, but what skill checks would one require to make use of these items?

>based on what?
Come on anon, Pointy years, not fully an elf..

>so EK or VB?

come on man don't make me spoon feed it to you fine, it's valor bard
>>
>>51915281
>rockin. source?
That's from Volo's.
>anyone happen to know what fucking UA that's in? i'd like to learn it and i'd like for my players to play what they want to, but i am entirely unfamiliar with gun classes/mechanics (outside of the modern variant rules i've played with once)
The Artificer UA from the start of the year.
>>
>>51915281

it's the artificer.

It's in the megaanon tools page, in the OP
>>
File: excellent.jpg (28KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
excellent.jpg
28KB, 300x400px
>>51915301
>>51915312
i love you, /tg/
>>
File: ticktockbeepboop.png (8MB, 1952x2403px) Image search: [Google]
ticktockbeepboop.png
8MB, 1952x2403px
>>51912984
I have a question /5eg/.

I would like to understand what kind of NPC would be this concept, either a pet or a follower or neither.

I would compare it as a slave NPC where you can buy it on a market and then you own that person (NPC). Instead of a human (non-monster) it would be sort of a machine/creation, something like a clockwork or a clay (golem) humanoid creature that would be like a slave to the owner.
>>
>>51914620
Are you a retard?
>>
>>51915344
a majorly toned down/nerfed yet smarter golem? or maybe a reflavored warforged?
>>
>>51915326
Here's every UA ever made, not counting Plane Shifts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jAv0Wgv9taQ29RZUJiekRXMWc/view
>>
>>51915300
but you dont make skill checks to use magic items, do you?
but hylians are human
and yeah valor bard seems like good choice but the EK is also a tempting choice
>>
>>51914665
Bladesinger is fine, and blaming it for retarded multiclass options is dumb.
>>
>>51915344

It would work similar to the Clockwork Companion the Artificer gets.
>>
>>51914698
RESTRAINED
A restrained creature's speed becomes 0, and it can't
benefit from any bonus to its speed.
Attack rolls against the creature have advantage,
and the creature's attack rolls have disadvantage.
The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity
saving throws.

nothing about spells
>>
>>51915007
Pretty sure the artificer gun doesn't work with crossbow expert.
>>
>>51915369
Smarter I could say yes, depending on how much effort the magical programmer had on it.

>>51915388
Going to look for that right now.

The idea is to have this companion for the party where everyone "owns" the NPC.

Also I am asking this on a Player perspective and not on a DM one.
>>
>>51915415
It's also not a Martial weapon.

No reason you couldn't take Light, Heavy, and Hand crossbows as your Monk weapons.
>>
>>51914929
If you don't want to use dex you can use armor. Its a very useful stat, but its not mandatory by any means like con is.
>>
>>51915326

we got you too senpai
>>
>>51915400

but you know that you can block somatic components by dropping manacles on mages (ence reason why teleportation spells only have verbal components)

And the manacles apply restrained
>>
>>51915378
>but you dont make skill checks to use magic items, do you?

I think he meant the way you may deception and performance checks with masks and other disguise kits, and ocarinas
>>
>>51915429

>DMG, page whatever

>Firearms are Ranged Martial Weapons
>>
>>51915344
End your life.
>>
>>51915477

Does the restrained condition say they can't cast spells? No? Read the book.

>can block somatic

Because they have to have one hand free.

>And the manacles apply restrained

They do not, unless you chain them to something else etc. (DM's discretion).

if you have questions read the book, its easy
>>
>>51915380
Fine how?

It's literally just wizard with +5/7 AC, +resistance to losing concentration, +10ft speed and extra attack to use instead of a cantrip.
That's... Literally it, pretty much. And fuck that.

The reason valor bard isn't like this despite being pretty much +5 AC, extra attack and actually maybe having a good feature once you get war magic is...
1. You can easily get that +5 AC by getting 'moderately armoured'. A wizard would either have to do multiclass bullshit (fuck that), be a dwarf or use two feats.
2. As with multiclass bullshit, it's not multiclass abusable like bladesinger two level dip. And there are DMs who allow this sort of stuff, because bladesinger is overly accepted already.
3. Extra attack actually means more to them. They can use expertise to make great grapples and such. Also, a bard's normal cantrip only deals 1d4 damage (though the debuff can be nice) and it opens up a good means to deal non-cantrip damage. Wizard gets 1d10 longer ranged cantrips.
Then some qualms with bladesinger that aren't related to valor bard:
4. The same thing that introduces bladesinger introduces something that doesn't synergize well with extra attack. What the heck. If you can land the secondary effect, you don't even need to use extra attack, and especially levels 17-20 and 11-13 you should just use GFB/BB.
5. If you want a tough wizard, you should do abjuration. Wizards are squishy, but abjuration exists to counteract that. Bladesinger exists for power creep.
>>
>>51915477

NATURAL LANGUAGE!

They should have made it fucking clear that the difference between Restrained and Grappled is that if you're Restrained, you've fucking lost. You're not extra-grappled, you're in a position that you can't easily fight back from.

It should apply Disadvantage on attempts to free yourself, Dexterity and Strength saving throws, and limit casters to Verbal spells only.

If you are Restrained in a fight, you have fucked up bigly.
>>
>>51915571
Kensei is probably on a similar hateboat for different reasons.

Kensei is 'Like monk, but with more damage' pretty much, and that's about it unless you sacrifice a bit of that damage for a bit more AC.
Much like how bladesinger feels like 'Like wizard, but with more AC.'

When, say, open hand is 'A monk that can enhance their extra attacks with crowd control, has a powerful burst way later and before then has some self-preservation effects' if I recall right
And shadow monk is
'Tactical stealth benefits with some combat mobility utility' sort of a thing.

And if being a normal wizard is too hard for you, play something that isn't a wizard.
>>
>>51915571
>Fine how?

Fine in the sense that there are far more people bitching about bladesingers than MCing, despite the fact that MCing is a much easier option than giving up your arcane tradition.

>moderately armored

Oh wow, burn a feat instead of a single level. What a steal!

>power creep

What other school can be obviated by a 1 level dip into, for example, cleric?
>>
>>51915555

Technically, whether manacles restrict Somatic spellcasting is at the discretion of the GM too. Just because you're in handcuffs doesn't mean you can't move your hands around. Unless they're cuffed to your belt or something.
>>
>>51915588

>made it fucking clear

But you're talking about houserules. Restrained should do no such thing.
>>
>>51915664
I simply wouldn't allow a single level dip into a fighter or cleric or something in the first place.
I'd say it as something more like,
'You get light armour for one level, medium + shield for second level, heavy armour for third level' (or if you already had light armour from say warlock, it goes up to medium armour, etc). Same applies to fighters because chances are they'll start at level 3 anyway and thus will start with heavy armour.

Otherwise, yes, bladesinger is maybe somewhere sort of on-par when you can easily get your wizard from 10+DEX (or 13+DEX with spell slot) AC to 21 AC with a single level dip in fighter, with plenty of spell slots to use stuff like 'shield' in. Just so you can laugh at the Eldritch Knight.

>Oh, wow, burn a feat instead of an entire archetype choice, what a steal
I feel bad for valor bards, kinda, but they do have their place.
>>
>>51914907
He's a Battlemaster Fighter.
The only magic he ever has is shit that's just forced into him by random faeries and gods. He's not magic in and of himself.
>>
I don't really get why they didn't give basic Maneuvers/Superiority Dice to all of the Martial classes. It's a neat mechanic that gives the fighty types more interesting choices than "I attack".

Then give the Battlemaster special Maneuvers/extra Superiority Dice to keep them as the best pure stab-specialists.
>>
>>51915344
Modified Shield Guardian, mm 271.
>>
>>51915789
Why don't you do it if it's so easy, retard?
>>
>>51915555
>bajillions of ways to stop martials that don't require you to have total control over the guy
>can't even stop a caster unless you antimagic field his ass
This game desparately needs features that prevent teleportation for a turn or two and a condition that stops the ability to vocalize.
>>
>>51915789
It used to be like that in the playtest
But sperglords didn't like it and ruined it
>>
>>51915571
>You can easily get that +5 AC by getting 'moderately armoured'
Nope. Between light and medium armor, your max AC is exactly the same - 17. Moderately armored DOES allow you to use a shield for a net +2, granted, but it's no +5.

Source: t. bladelock theorycrafter who's been trying to optimize one since he bought the phb (Armor of Shadows is better than moderately armored almost all the time since it maxes out at AC 18, and medium armor with shield maxes at 19 but negates spellcasting because your hands are full).
>>
>>51915820

>t. Mike Mearls
>>
File: Johanna Character Sheet.jpg (569KB, 1582x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Johanna Character Sheet.jpg
569KB, 1582x2048px
Rate this character, /5e/. Did I do it right?
>>
>>51915860
A bard will not have 20 dexterity except at very, very high levels or with
>rolling for stats

I'm assuming here the bard has a dexterity of 14, which is pretty reasonable, but you could have a 16 dexterity with point buy so I suppose you could say +4 AC. Stealth disadvantage, weight and a monetary cost, however.
>>
>>51915901
>Rolling for stats
>Non-variant human
Well, I mean, sure.

At least you didn't roll for stats, get bad stats and still try to play a monk anyway.
>>
>>51915913
Technically that depends on his race; half-elves can easily start with 16 dex and 16 cha using the standard array part of the reason they make so damn good warlocks. But I'll concede: medium armor is probably a better choice for the early game (also known as the levels people actually get to play).
>>
>>51915789
At that point you may as well retire the Battlemaster path entirely and make anything special the Fighter gets core class features.
>>
>>51915964
Well, not only that, but if they spend two levels upping cha then that's level 12 where they can start upping something else. So I guess the difference here is +1 AC if you go dex (And other benefits), or +(4/5) AC if you go moderately armoured, so maybe you could call it +3 AC and not getting the other benefits of +1 to a dex save.

But yes, I forgot you could do it with standard array half-elf and get both 16 charisma and dex. I was thinking '17 cha, 16 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 8 str, 8 wis... Hm.'
>>
>>51915995
It also depends on what you want the character to focus on. Like I mentioned, I've been working with bladelocks - which means I typically max my dexterity first and use my spell slots for buffing and utility - things that don't require a high spellcasting stat. Around level 12, when Lifedrinker comes into play, then I start worrying about charisma.

You could do something similar with a valor bard, I imagine. Let your charisma sit at 16, focus on spells that don't use it by handing out buffs and inspiration, and fight up-front rather than using ranged cantrips.
>>
>>51913029
Sentinel is great, either giving extra attacks to your attack-lite forms, and possibly administrating grapple or trip riders before the triggering attack is made, or forcing foes to attack the meatwad druid.

I'm a big fan of Octopus but it requires longstrider, Giant-Spider is also pretty good, at level 8 I think your best bet will be Giant Constrictor Snake.
>>
>>51915822
>casters are targeted by something they don't like
>nope, I cast a spell and it's not a problem anymore
>martials are targeted by something they don't like
>golly gee whizz i hope they roll poorly / i roll well or else my ass is toast
>>
>>51914660
I just want to join in on the mocking of you for being a moron, because it makes me feel better about my life.

haha! Stupid.
>>
>>51916045
Devil's advocate here: the only caster 'get out of damage free' cards that know of are:
Fey Warlock: Misty step + invisibility as a reaction to taking damage (activates after damage is dealt). Recharges on short rest.
Enchanter Wizard: Charm as a reaction, attacker must change target (has a save, only functions on attack rolls [no AoE dodging for you]). Recharges on short rest.
Illusion Wizard: Illusory self as a reaction causes attack to miss, no save (again, only if an attack roll is involved). Recharges on short rest.
Diviner Wizard: hahaha do i really need to mention this

A specific archetype's limited ability to dodge attacks isn't game breaking - and if it is, go take a look at the monk's Deflect Arrows.
>>
I'm trying to make demons, devils and yugoloths more distinct from one another. They don't have unifying motifs. Demons and devils are too similar and yugoloths are fairly boring.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>51916129
Devils: as-is.
Yugoloths: devils who abandoned the rule of law and went mercenary. Since good, evil, law, and chaos are quantifiable things in DnD Metaplanar Shenanigans, this physically changed them. Devils fucking hate these guys.
Demons: Basically elementals, but instead of being based on an element they're based on negative emotions (such as hate or fear). Not intelligent, or low intelligence at least, they instinctively seek to corrupt mortals with their associated emotion and draw sustenance (somehow) from the resulting chaos.
>>
>>51916123
Absorb Elements, Shield, and Counterspell are all good ways to get out of Dodge and not archetype-specific. Teleportation on your own turn is also a largely foolproof way to get out of some situation like "the room is collapsing, can you reach the door in time" or "you can leap out of the way of [some other hazard] with a check".

Martials aren't empowered to do better at any of those beyond possibly having 2-3 points more in a relevant skill check, and it's not like casters can't find ways to give themselves advantage on whatever they want.
>>
>>51916034
At least if you're a lore bard picking up moderately armoured you won't do that, but..

I guess that means valor bard is less likely to benefit from medium armour than lore bard, huh.
>>
>>51913883
Why would someone let you use acrobatics on athletics checks? How does gymnast shit help you live a boulder, swim gud, climb a cliff, or wrestle a nigga? I always see folks mention replacing they way here, but so don't get it at all. They're really different skills.
>>
Players, during overworld travel, do you prefer a quick travel where you go from one place to the other, wait for DM to roll for random encounter and then after encountering it (or not), you reach your destination and calculate how many days has passed?

Or do you prefer a more slow crawl travel and let your DM adjudicate the travel in great detail where you still have to count the miles travel per day, the possibilities of wilderness survival and whatnot?

Hoping to hear both sides who prefer one and the other. As a DM, I want to get into the perspective of the two styles cause my campaign is shifting from usual urban adventures to more traveling across the land. Been thinking whether I should skip beating around the bush and let my players reach their next destination but at the same time, I proposed the feel of having the journey feel just as much of an adventure as anything else. My players haven't decided yet and we're still discussing it but I'd like to know what you guys think.
>>
>>51916189
I suppose. I'd say that casting while a room collapses around you would be grounds for some kind of penalty, but it appears that they removed such stuff from 5e. I guess it's time to remind everyone that DnD is a cooperative game, and the wizard is a bad player if he saves himself at the expense of his allies. Haha they'll never realize I moved the goalposts rather than admitting defeat :^)

>>51916214
It's more complicated than that even - this assumes you're using a finesse weapon (which is pretty much the optimal choice because dexterity is the god stat). If you're using something that needs strength, medium armor becomes a lot more appealing.

>>51916242
>climb a cliff
Greater range of motion allowing you to reach better handholds, basically DM fiat.
>wrestle a nigga
Redirecting your opponent's force and using it against him - basically Akido, if my limited knowledge of martial arts is to be trusted. Shoving shit and swimming shouldn't be affected.
>>
>>51916214

What do you mean?
Valor is already proficient in Medium armor
>>
>>51915081
Farore a shit, Nayru a Best
>>
>>51916246
Ask your players if they liked Lord of the Rings - the book, not the movie.

If they did, go into detail with travel; make them track rations or hunt, roll random encounters, etc.

If not, roll once or twice for random encounters based on the length of the trip and gloss over all the rest.

>>51916278
But a valor bard using finesse weapons benefits more from having a high dexterity and using studded leather.
>>
>>51916246
For long travel times I like to make it episodic.

Say you're going on a ship somewhere far away.
Okay, so you tell them they're on the ship and you ask them how they'd generally like to be spending their time.
Zoom in to one of those days and let them role play what they're up to during travel if they like.
Then perhaps there's a random encounter of pirates on that very same day.

Zoom back out. More days pass. Roleplay the arrival at the destination.

This is my preferred way to run it.
>>
>>51914971
This is cute
>>
What are you favorite dungeon traps or puzzles for a "hive" or mind flayer kind of dungeon,
>>
>>51915789

They're perfectly fine as is.

>inb4 3aboo goes "but they can't plane shift or raise the dead, and clearly the solution to that imbalance is battlemaster gestalt for all"
>>
>>51916268
>D&D is a cooperative game
Unfortunately, in some places it's designed terribly.

Imagine if you were playing soccer / football and there was no rule stopping the goalie from running around anywhere he wants and playing like everyone else--EXCEPT that he can still touch the ball with his hands without stopping play. This is the caster. He gets to do all the shit that everyone else does, but he has special rules that let him just grab the ball, run up to the opposing goal, muscle past the opposing goalie, and throw the ball in. No one can stop him because the only way to get the ball out of his hands is to kick it, and he's just hunched over cradling the thing like a baby, and any attempt at this point is going to get your dumb ass carded.
>>
>>51916365
>invokes the 3aboo bugbear
>reveals that he himself is a 3aboo because his sense of balance is based entirely on mechanical power
>WELL FIGHTERS CAN DO GREAT DAMAGE IN COMBAT NOW, SOMETIMES EVEN MORE THAN CASTERS, SO WE'VE ACHIEVED PARITY
It ain't about combat.
>>
>>51915822
The whole point of personal teleports in a team focused game is to let you get out of people trying to immobilize you, its what its there for.
>>
>>51916159
I like a more instinctual/feral/primordial demon. That could work really well. How would you apply it to Glabrezu? Does it just show up and chatter at gullible people in need based upon some super sense for dumb people who would make wishes?
>>
Would that UA Spear Mastery feat be any good for a Monk or are they too ASI starved to go "wasting" them on Feats?
>>
>>51916129

I don't see any motif about yugoloths I like other than the dangerously furfaggish arcanaloths. That being said, are you sure they're not more similar to devils? The bug dudes -> ice devils, the gargoyle dudes look like devils as is.
>>
>>51916246
I have this same issue coming up. I'm opting for a combination of encounters with combat and encounters with noteworthy scenes or scenery. The scenery will convey something g of value about the area, the plot, or both. The encounters will do the same. Other than the periodic stops and encampment bits, they'll be traveling by map.
>>
>>51915982

Make Battlemaster the Miyamato Musashi-knockoff it clearly wants to be. You can choose Secret Maneuvers at 3rd, 7th, 10th and 15th levels, your Superiority Dice are better than other Martials (even other Fighters), you have more of them, and you can choose extra Manuevers relative to other martials.

>>51915820

The only "hard" part is balancing how many dice each class gets, how many maneuvers they can choose from and what they should be. That's a playtesting thing.

>>51915847

That's a tragedy.
>>
>>51916189
Nah, if shield were a big deal in the least as anti wizard people made it out to be, people would furiously masturbate about the EK rather than screech about how much they hate it.
>>
>>51916268
I can see the wrestling bonus. I'm not buying this climbing story though. People who want to have consummate physical prowess should take both proficiencies or suffer appropriately.
>>
What's the best way to play a Fey warlock?
And how would you rate the new patrons to the old ones?
>>
>>51916389

>It ain't about combat

But expertise dice are about combat... which was the whole point.
>>
>>51916420
imo no, spear master isn't a great feat anyway and monks need their ASIs badly.
>>
>>51916456
Superiority die did shit other than combat originally.
>>
>>51916129
D&D's pidgeonholing into three arbitrary forces some major creativity. I've seen proposals for all three that personify seven deadly sins and each makes sense.

Demons want to destroy mortals in ways based on the demon's own sin. Devils want mortals to destroy themselves by feeding their sin. Daemons have always fallen into one of the two and I'm hard pressed to devise a distinction other than devils being motivated by control and daemons by achievement.

>>51916427
If you squint you'll notice that typically the lower classes are arthropods and the upper classes are mammals. But fiends were never made with a consistent motif in mind.
>>
>>51916455

fey are like cats. They are jerks, aloof and predatory, and if they looked like toads every one would stomp them at the street on sight
>>
I really don't like the caster vs martial argument.
The DM should tailor the game to make it a fun experience for everyone.

If you play a group of all casters in a "standard" adventure you're very likely to all get cleaved in half without a front line.
People that play martial classes generally like combat, so this makes sense that this is where they should shine.
Those that play casters often like to think of clever solutions using their spells or whatever other resources they may possess.

In reality it all varies so much from table to table and how your DM structures the game. I know caster superiority fags will never accept this as a reasonable argument, but the fact is that the bridge between the two sides is much shorter than in the past.
Personally, I have no problem with class imbalance so long as it isn't completely absurd. And in 5e, it isn't. Not in the levels where most games take place anyway. And once you get into high levels the DM should be creative enough to handle players by understanding individual play styles, character abilities, etc.

Everything is overpowered in a vacuum. But in practice, it's rarely an issue.
>>
File: IMG_1718.jpg (592KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1718.jpg
592KB, 900x900px
>>51916303
This is a good style. Punctuate it with some conversations, contests, or challenges. I gave my players a chance to fraternize with some rival mercenary goons when they were all in transit together, then a ways on they had a fun little episode where archers took pot shots at them at extreme range from the shoreline. After that, there was an important quest-related NPC chat, and then they disembarked. Floating separated all of these.
>>
>>51916369

Victory in a pure mechanical sense, like in 4e, is overwhelmingly (99% of the time or more) going to be on the basis of reducing the opposing team's hit points to 0, and the casters must lean on the martials, far, far moreso than in any prior edition.

And combat isn't anything, but with its structured, turn based timekeeping and rather dire consequences for failure, it is just about going to be the most consistent element from game to game.
>>
>>51916420
I'd say the best feat for a monk is 'mobile', and it's best to pick that as variant human unless you really want darkvision.
>>
>>51916297

That is a good way to prod the mood. Though a couple of them haven't seen the books and only the film. Might have to ask if they liked the journey parts of Fellowship.

>>51916303

This is good advice. I'll try to think up of something for grassland travel. My aim is to make it engrossing and at the same time, make travel "episodes" (as you call it) be a platform for them to roleplay and get into their character. I think it's a way of how the PC gets to know his/her party members in video game WRPGs like KOTOR or Dragon Age: Origins. I think they'll quite like that.

>>51916432

YeaI've been thinking of putting small setpiece encounters where they see certain things that links to the overall plot I'm cooking up for them. Combat as well so it won't get too boring but at the same time, I don't want to rely too much on combat so we won't use up the session time in battle. I might give the option to encounter the fights or forgo them (e.g. they see a bandit group in the distance, they decide whether they engage or not)
>>
>>51916481
It's a good thing they're so cute!
>>
>>51916476
I don't see why we can't do the simple route and un-pigeonhole them.
>>
File: Capture.png (347KB, 824x763px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
347KB, 824x763px
I'm making a turbo-edgy (appearance-wise anyway) Long Death Monk (Elf Revenant statblock).

Fat spear or skinny spear?
The fat blade version is like that because it's designed so it can be swung by the handle on the bottom in wide sweeps.

Also need a color scheme for the robes.

>>51916520
Well I figure Elf Revenant is a good fit for flavor (Meditation) and mechanically.

Assuming the DM doesn't veto it immediately.
>>
>>51916439
People hate EK because it's not a magic-melee gish, it's a tank martial whose tanking features just happen to take the form of spells. There is no debate about Shield being great.
>>
>>51916491
Casters can be plenty tanky, but expending daily resources to inflict meaningful amounts of damage is pretty much milking a limp dick. I would be interested to see how well a pure caster party could do, except that I seriously, seriously do not want to suffer through the muck of all them no-proficiency, +1 and +0 stat saves without a paladin. Christ.
>>
>>51916491

>People that play martial classes generally like combat, so this makes sense that this is where they should shine.

The problem for me isn't that martials and casters are unbalanced mechanics wise, but rather that combat just isn't very fun for martials. It's just rolling attacks. Maybe you have a grapple-based character who is rolling grapple checks all day instead. Barbarians pop rage and then roll attacks, Monks use Stunning Strike all day erreday and then roll attacks.
>>
File: many things erase.png (397KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
many things erase.png
397KB, 600x508px
>>51916543
>Revenant by normal rules

Is there anything that ISN'T good with renevant mechanically?
>>
>>51916582
>but rather that combat just isn't very fun for martials.

Plenty seem to enjoy themselves actually and keep going back to them. Some people are just going to prefer casters every time.
>>
>>51916529
>I think it's a way of how the PC gets to know his/her party members in video game WRPGs like KOTOR or Dragon Age: Origins. I think they'll quite like that.

Yeah, it can makes for some great moments.
For grassland travel it can be enough to throw small things along the path for them to investigate or ignore.
Perhaps roleplay some nights by the fire.

You need to know your players as well. If you think they'd take initiative and start roleplaying that's great! Some times groups might benefit from an NPC starting the conversation.

This could be someone they're traveling with, or perhaps another person who wanders into their camp. It can be fun to see how players treat an outsider wandering up at night. The amount of suspicion can be pretty high even if you just throw an honest traveler at them.
>>
>>51916572
>not getting physical stats on your caster since everything can be solved with DC-less spells that alter the environment and your casting modifier is useless beyond bumping up DCs and spells per day
>ever needing to roll a save when you've crushed every encounter and puzzle through ingenious reality-warping
>>
>>51916491

my table balances this out a little by role play. They have the casters and the jacks (bards, artificers, w/e) look to the martials for leadership / general cues for battle
>>
>>51916550
Nothing is a gish, though.
>>
>>51916627
Wow, what a hilariously, suicidally terrible idea that still isn't going to help them with saves for shit.
>>
File: treeman-illness-pic.gif (387KB, 700x944px) Image search: [Google]
treeman-illness-pic.gif
387KB, 700x944px
>>51916543
Forgot to add- the left version is clearly unable to fit under the robes/mask, their constant Necrotic regeneration causes tough growths of the body that need to be trimmed, kinda like the poor bastards with Tree Man Syndrome.

>>51916591
Well considering it's "you're fucking invincible- the subrace" not really.
I'd be willing to replace it with something else, I just like the idea of a super-tank abomination PC.
>>
>>51916616
"Going back to martials" = "being the sucker of the group who doesn't throw a fit when he can't play the class that he wants and is thus forced into being the tank again because the other four guys need their precious Light Cleric / Diviner Wizard / Lore Bard / GOOlock cheese and insist that the party needs a tank and come on Derek just play another Fighter or a Barb, you did a good job last time, we know you like it, no the Cleric can't tank don't be silly, c'mon, stop being so difficult, you can play something else next game we promise"
>>
>>51916476
>>51916159
>>51916397
The consensus seems to be that demons are bestial while devils are civilized. Yugoloths have always gotten the short end of the stick as mercenaries, to the point where one sourcebook made them out as the secret masters of the blood war to justify their existence.

Scarred Lands had a much simpler distinction: demons serve the god of destruction and pestilence, devils the god of conquest and domination, and daemons the goddess of death and darkness. I think this is what served as the inspiration for Paizo's take on daemons, which are still too similar to demons for my taste.

>>51916538
Are you suggesting we NOT have a separate race of fiends for each evil alignment? Even pidgeonholed they're still very similar to one another.
>>
>>51916582

For instance, the party Monk wants to try poking the villain in the eyes. There's no real reason why he can't roll an attack, maybe with a minus to the roll, and if it hits it temporarily blinds the enemy...except that if he can, why wouldn't he do that to every enemy?

Tying creative in-battle manuevers to a resource (Superiority dice, Adrenaline points--whatever) that regenerate every short rest, or even after every combat, keeps them in line with other classes while giving them interesting and effective choices.

This is basically what Ki is, if Ki was actually good.
>>
>>51916664
Shit that never happened: The musical
>>
>>51916543
>>51916662
Also, flavourwise, a revenant long death monk would be living torture, considering the fluff for long death says 'They care not for what comes after death, and see death as a gift' or something like that.

Which basically means you're in a constant state of being denied your sweet eternal rest and would want to kill yourself, but presumably would be left unable to kill yourself.
>>
>>51916572
Perhaps a tanky cleric, sure. But as you said, a few failed spells or a few failed saves will really fuck you over as casters.

>>51916582
I can't speak for everyone. But in my groups, the players that seem to gravitate towards martials fall to the extremes.
They either hate having to think too much in combat (or just in general), or they recognize the challenge of playing a martial creatively and they see that as a fun opportunity.

I think you sell martials a little too short though. Sure many people will just go for as much DPR as they can. But rogues can do so much given their bonus action and maintain damage. Fighters can do lots of interesting things. Even a champion can substitute their attacks for shoves and grapples as you said. Action surging opens up tons of opportunities.

Again, your mileage will vary depending on your DM. But I like to make encounters happen in unique locations and not just empty rooms or big flat empty grids. My barbarian smiled so large when he rage dragged two people to the side of a bridge and dropped them into lava.
>>
I want to try something new.

I usually play a halfy assassin rogue with lots of skill expertise.

Useful in Combat, Useful out of combat for dungeons, and useful with searching, perception, and even talking to people.

I usually like it regardless but I'm wanting to try something new. Was thinking of going Arcane Trickster instead this time.
>>
>>51916681
Open hand flurry effects are pretty great.
>>
>>51916664
Derek I think you need to find better friends.
I've never had a group tell someone what to play unless the person specifically asked for suggestions.
>>
>>51915678
>am I kawaii? uguu

I'd say you could move your wrists around and fingers too, might work with a save
>>
>>51916664
>Not playing moon druid
>>
>>51915514
Why?
>>
I post this in a dead thread: Is there any place where I can find a bunch of ambient music (no lyrics, except for maybe a chorus)? I am lacking cave music, boss fights music and so on.
Also anyone knows a good theme for a Demon Invocator Wizard boss fight?
>>
>>51916737
No fucker.

If you want to do something new, go whole hog. Don't just be the same but a with a little difference.

Want to be good at combat? Go Fighter, they're pretty strong with Maneuvers and shit. Or Barb if you want to tank hard.

Want to be good at skill checks? How about a Bard human with the Skilled feat? At that point you can do any check.

Don't just be a halfy rogue. Be something new. Tiefling, human, elf, dwarf, ect. There's a whole world out there to explore, and you're pigeonholing yourself into the Rogue class.
>>
>>51916803
Just look into vidya game music.
Especially those modeled after trpgs.
>>
>>51916529
I've got a few I'm using in a similar kind of scrubby grassland

>irregular rocks with sneaky gargoyles hiding amongst them
>old barrow mound that's been busted open, possibly with an Undead of your choice inside
>a strange obelisk with the symbols of a forgotten god on it
>motherfucking ankhegs
>wounded nomad with no horse in sight
>a crippled zombie, battered and weathered, dragging itself along the ground with one good arm
>Orc Bandits hiding in a ruined tower, led by an Ettin
>Helpful, winsome native woman by day, vicious wereboar by night

And so forth.
>>
Is there any class that's just best to be?

I know in 3.5 there was a problem with Wizards being God-tier, but there were some serious balancing acts this time around. Anything that stands out?

Barring Lore Wizard.
>>
>>51916664
I'm playing a full caster for the first time in a game right now. I honestly don't love it all that much. Keeping track of prepared spells/spell slots/known spells is not really my cup of tea.
My next character will almost certainly be a monk or a rogue. Maybe a ranger or paladin, but definitely no more magic than that.

>>51916853
Lore bard.
Now play what you like and stop trying to break the game.
>>
>>51916830
Fighter only fights well
Bard only supports and skill checks well.

Rogue just does both nicely.

None of the fighters are really appealing desu. Whenever they try to do something in addition to fighting it just sucks.

They always take til level 12+ or something to get as cool or fun or useful. I've never had a campaign last that long.
>>
>>51916728
I'm still undecided on backstory.
This was from when it was a Undying Warlock 3/Long Death Monk
In this case it's more of a reverse-Revenant- they're an Undead Construct who's studying death to become "alive". Things like True Resurrection won't do anything because, well, they were never alive in the first place.

>Is part of a Monastery run by an "enlightened" Lich (Like one of those Buddhist mummies)
>Decided he wished to truly live
>Is considered a heretic by the monastery- however the Lich was curious to see if they could actually succeed and released them into the world (After Modify Memory-ing out knowledge of where this Monastery is)

I'll probably be dropping this one because of a few plot holes, namely
>Where did the Lich get his Undead pupils? Did he make them? Did he "Steal" them from other Necromancers? Unbound Undead aren't exactly known for their free will nor initiative to go learn at a Monastery
>Why would an Undead Monk decide they wanted to become alive?
>Why would a Lich-Monk even take pupils in the first place?
>>
>>51916664
I want Derek to join my group. He can whatever class he wants since he's such a handsome team player. We'll show him a good time~
>>
>>51916621

A technique I did for my newbie group in Lost Mines of Phandelver was that after saving Sildar from the goblins, they were escorting him back to Phandelver on the cart they were pulling. I roleplayed Sildar and made him prod on the party's goals and motivations. As a newbie group to DnD and PnP RPGs, it was one of those "eye opening" moments for them cause until that point, they were pretty much men and women carrying weapons and magic. In the end, it was nice that each sat down and started saying why they went on this trek.

By the end of the module, their characters felt more fleshed out and had proper motivations. Probably one of my proudest moments for my players and my own personal achievement moment as a DM since I was able to slowly get these guys to be characters.
>>
>>51914770
I asked my DM this and he said that I could roll an Arcana check to know. But if I rolled low then it would waste my reaction. I like it, it's a risk or reward thing.
>>
>>51916876
>Bard only supports and skill checks well.
Absolutely false. Bards are also powerful buffers in combat and can eventually learn powerful attack spells. Combine it with 2 levels of warlock and you shred everything, too.
If you're intent on excelling at everything, you can't do better than bard. If you really don't like the idea, go for a charismatic, resourceful paladin.

>>51916885
I'd love to have Derek! My current party consists of a favored soul, 2 wizards, a lore bard, and a AT rogue. But I'm sure we could find something for him to do.
>>
>>51916868
>I'm playing a full caster for the first time in a game right now. I honestly don't love it all that much. Keeping track of prepared spells/spell slots/known spells is not really my cup of tea.
Fucking amen. It's tedious and a pain in the ass. the PHB makes looking up and tracking spells a fucking pain. It's absolutely insufficient. Even with all the external 3rd party lists I have it's annoying. I have to make my own spell cards and sheets basically.
>>
>>51916665
I don't see the benefit in the flanderization schtick. Its fine to have tendencies, but devils and demons are already plenty radically different and always have been.

Demon lords tend to have a strong schtick and be associated with a very powerful opponent to civilization. There has never been any need to make demons more distinctive; they have always been the most distinctive type. They don't have to be stupid, arbitrarily destructive, filled with unusual amounts of rage or whatever; the "chaotic" side of their evil fits in their intrinsic role as being opposed to civilization. Zuggtmoy for example had very cunning, calculated plans. Now of course, many demon lords ARE reckless and short sighted (Yeenoghu's never really had much of a master plan, to say nothing of fucking Juiblex) but there's nothing wrong at all with demon lords having intricate plans; its just those plans are likely to involve their material plane counterparts. Their material planar counterparts are even sometimes ignorant, stupid, mindless, nonevil creatures. That's pretty distinct.

Devils are all part of the same hierarchy. Just as there are Graz'zt types, there are going to be violent, furious, and destructive devils. Their flavor, as distinct from devils, is not just that they're all a part of the same hierarchy, but that they usually use catspaws from within civilization, often warlocks. That's pretty flavorful.

NE was always intended (according to Gygax) to be a minor faction compared to LE and CE, and that's perfectly fine. Even so, there's a lot of NE fiends that aren't fully yugoloths; night hags, succubi, and barghests, for example, plus the very cool guardian daemons (who I hope show up again; not sure if they ever got full yugoloth abilities). They are more independent and vague. Being minor, independent, and more focused on the interstitial planes between LE and CE, plus having petitioners that can be used for LE and CE petitioners in a pinch, is good enough.
>>
>>51916944
>not having autistically memorized the entire PHB including spells

what a fucking pleb
>>
>>51916728
The other ideas bumping around-

>They're seeking Lichdom through Monk Enlightenment
>They're a Revenant- that didn't die for some reason after completing their task. Is seeking a final death.
>They're an Undead Construct sent on a mission for their master- assuming you stick with the "Lich Monk School" theme, they send them to fuck with the BBEG because they're interfering with the Lich's plans
>Is a Long Death Heretic who's been using the Monastery's teachings to prolong their own life instead of dying like they're meant to
>>
>>51916942
>Combine it with 2 levels of warlock and you shred everything, too.
Multiclassing :|

The other things I was looking at were a casting fighter. EK or Bladesinger. I haven't read about the sword pact warlock yet though.
>>
>>51916664
I'm playing a bard right now and I enjoyed Barbarian much more.

Next class I'm gonna play is a Fighter flavored for fencing and rapier use.
>>
>>51916942
Forgot to ask, at what level would you multiclass that at?
>>
>>51916945
FWIW, succubi used to be demons, then became devils, then became NE independent fiends.

>>51917021
If you don't want to multiclass, just take Magic Initiate for Eldritch Blast. Still decent pew-pew without Agonizing Blast. Or go sorcerer and pick up Fire Bolt.

>>51917040
Fencers are an underappreciated archetype. Probably because Swashbucklers (and dex fighting in general) were crap in 3.PF.
>>
>>51917067
Pretty early. If you start at level 1, maybe wait until 3 or 4, or just start with warlock if your DM is unlikely to allow it halfway through the campaign for RP reasons.
My games mostly start at level 3, though. In such a case, I'd just start as bard 1/warlock 2 and then go straight bard.
>>
>>51915344
A modron with hair? Slavery is lawful, right?
>>
So I've got a friend who wants me to run a 5th ed game for him and two of his friends, I've got no idea currently on what I should do so I'm scrounging for ideas.

Got any suggestions /tg/? Would prefer to do non royalty shit because I've done it to death for other groups.
>>
>>51917143
Start out on a ship, everyone is traveling somewhere.
Suddenly pirates.

Have fun.
>>
>>51917075
Demon succubus is best succubus
>>
>>51916876
>level 12+

>level 12 is literally just an ASI. No new spells or spell slots or class features

Anon are you sure you know what you're talking about
>>
>>51917165
Pirates huh? I could do something with that. Welp hidden pirate treasure and aztec temples everywhere it is.
>>
>>51917143
Make them live in an important neutral city smack dab in between two warring kingdoms, have them try and help support the town, keep both sides out and stay neutral in the face of more and more embargoes and attempts to force them to help.
>>
>>51917209
fuck yeah, motherfucker

There's lots of legends of the hidden temple material out there.
Yuan-ti are a good campaign villain as well.
>>
>>51915789
>I don't really get why they didn't give basic Maneuvers/Superiority Dice to all of the Martial classes
Class identity, I bet.
>>
>>51915860
Mage Armor + Shield with rapier gives you AC 20, though you'll have to drop+pickup your rapier to cast some spells. You mostly won't have to cast spells in combat though.
>>
>>51916881
>>Where did the Lich get his Undead pupils?
They're natural to the monastery where the lich took up residence.
They're like residum, a byproduct of a great fel power
>>Why would an Undead Monk decide they wanted to become alive?
You could come up with a reason, but you could tell your DM that your character doesn't know what got that drive into him, and he could pick up a reason for him to find out
>>Why would a Lich-Monk even take pupils in the first place?
Fun fact: Warlocks were an INT caster until test audience asked for CHA
Take a page from CoS and Exenthar

The lich is basically just an evil Ancient One from Doctor Strange. He wants his dark knowledge to be spread around the world far and wide, trusting darkness will spread on its own, if you leave people to their own devices.

Like a bad guy who wants to give babies handguns
>>
>>51917237
I'm thinking pirates attack and cause the ship to wreck on a seemingly abandoned island, unknown to the players there'll be cannibals, temples and treasures to be found. I'll have to look into races and see what I could do for tribal like people on the island. What would you say is a decent size for an island adventure of this kind?

Also thinking something along the lines of quetzacotl dargon to inhabit the place somewhere.
>>
>>51916123
>Enchanter Wizard: Charm as a reaction, attacker must change target (has a save, only functions on attack rolls [no AoE dodging for you]). Recharges on short rest.
That's not how that one works. You can use it as often as you like, but it doesn't work on a creature after they've passed the save that day.
>>
>>5191534
A small, rune-marked piece of metal or clay that casts Unseen Servant at ritual speed with no material components. When the spell is complete, the rune-marked piece of metal or clay transforms into the Unseen Servant.

The Unseen Servant has a visible, physical form of a clay or clockwork humanoid and lasts until it is destroyed. When it is destroyed, it reverts to its previous state as a rune-marked piece of metal of clay that can be used again to recreate the servant at any time.

This counts as an uncommon wondrous item in terms of creation difficulty and cost.
>>
>>51917368
No reason you need to size up the island exactly. It can be as big or small as the plot needs.

Maybe the pirates attacked during the evening so when the players shipwrecked they weren't able to see the island in full as they approached.

Maybe consider Grungs if it's got a jungle.
>>
Dart Sharpshooter Monk, retarded or no?

Seems like getting some "reliable" extra damage would be really useful.
>>
>>51917418
I'm thinking the pirates attacked at night while a thick fog was around. HOLY SHIT THIS GIVES ME AN IDEA. GHOST PIRATES. This is now happening.

I'll have to look into Grungs because I have no idea what that is. And of course it'll have a jungle, what pirate type adventure is complete without one?
>>
>>51917447
Don't multiclass with UA.
>>
>>51917240
Because 4e wasn't well-received and they wanted to play it safe.

>>51917368
Perhaps an overarching plot of trying to repair the ship and get off the island?
I ran a one-shot once where the PCs were pirates and they got in a fight with enemy pirates off the coast of an island. By the end of the battle, both ships were damaged and both crews were reduced significantly, and they had to salvage one of the ships to repair the other and combine the crews to actually sail it. But cooperation was far from guaranteed due to animosity and arrogance.
>>
>>51917464
Sharpshooter as in the feat you... you... DOUBLE NIGGER.
>>
File: 1434682404486-0.png (78KB, 265x294px) Image search: [Google]
1434682404486-0.png
78KB, 265x294px
I need your help.

I'm playing a Neutral Evil Spell-less Ranger Changeling, level 2. What feats should I be getting for later down the line, and is Hunter better than Beastmaster?
>>
>>51917464
Sharpshooter the feat, not the fighter archetype.
>>
>>51917460
Grungs can be found in volo's guide.
I figured you'd have a jungle. But just wanted to be sure.

Ghost pirates is classic. Maybe they're ghosts of the pirates who came to this island before them looking for a treasure but instead found undeath.
>>
>>51917447
Why not?
>>
reminder that if you dont chose rock gnome with the gunsmith, you're a half hearted hipster
>>
>>51917368
>I'll have to look into races and see what I could do for tribal like people on the island.

Kuo-Toa!
>>
>>51917519
Because everyone's always going on about how ASI starved Monk is so it might be "wasteful" to use a Feat for some darts?
>>
>>51917447

Just take the sun soul monk refluffed for DAGGERS and replace it with DARTS
>>
File: 1396991667578.gif (1MB, 288x208px) Image search: [Google]
1396991667578.gif
1MB, 288x208px
>>51912984
What's a good spell list for a reoccuring "one man army/stalker" type of character?

Something versatility and power obviously. This is what I have so far, probably stopping at 3rd or 4th level spells

Level 1 spells
>Chromatic Orb
>Shield
>Absorb Elements
>Hunter's Mark
>Magic Missile

Level 2
>Darkness
>Hold Person
>Misty Step
>Spiritual Weapon
>Pass Without Trace

Level 3
>Counterspell
>Dispel Magic
>Big AoE spell like Fireball or Lightning Bolt
>Nondetection
>>
>>51917549
Kuo-Toa inhabit the lagoons which lead to underground caves beneath the waves.

Grungs in the jungle.

Yuan-ti in the temples.

Ghost pirates on the beaches.
>>
File: 2837422-1322414946[1].jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2837422-1322414946[1].jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>51917121
Well I think its the Mechanical Servant I was looking for.
>>
>>51917564
Nigga u dont understand.

+10 damage per dart.
>>
>>51917566

Check Unearthed Arcane: Ranger Revised, Deep Stalker archetype
>>
I asked earlier but didn't get any replies.

Any types of traps or particular puzzles you find interesting in your dungeons?
>>
>>51917588

You can still grab feats as a sun soul monk
>>
>>51917447
Firstly you can't draw more than one dart a turn and secondly holding a dart makes you lose a bunch of monk features as it's a ranged weapon.
>>
>>51917539
Svirfneblin will always be cooler.
>>
>>51917566
High DEX, prof. in Stealth, Magic Missile (guaranteed damage), Hunter's Mark if it's a melee focus, Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon (No evidence), and Lightning Bolt. Only use Counterspell or Dispel Magic if you plan on stalking wizards.
>>
>>51917615
Sun beam is a ranged spell attack and thus not applicable for Sharpshooter.
>>
>>51917630

God damn it, you're right
>>
>>51917622
wielding != holding

But I do agree there's no reason to use a monk for this.
Make a fighter that throws darts at people.
Shit, pushing attack with darts is fucking dumb but hilarious.
>>
>>51917609
I find that multi-stage traps are good fun. Offer the players a chance to escape or sabotage the trap before it does serious damage.
>>
>>51917578
>Grung through the jungle!
>and don't look back!
>>
>>51917658
In the game after next I'm going to play a Gunslinger one, love the 120ft darkvision without sunlight sensitivity. Plus the racial feat's pretty damn handy.
>>
>>51917609
Pits are a classic.
>>
>>51917662
>there's no reason to use a monk for this.
Considering the entire basis for the question is as a way to boost a Monk's damage up I'd say there is.

If you're going Fighter literally any other ranged weapon is better.
>>
Would an arcana cleric with SCAG cantrips and spirit guardians or a hexblade be cooler?
>>
>>51917656

then take spell sniper instead, it's a pretend game jesus christ, STOP PUTTING ALL THIS PRESSURE ON ME, MOM
>>
>>51917699

But the idea of playing a tinkerer without the rock gnome's Natural Tinkerer features just seems obscene
>>
>>51917714
Same applies to monks, though. Why not just use a shortbow? Or, if you're an elf, longbow.
>>
>>51917578
I'm writing up a storm here, so I've got one temple idea so far, an ancient Yuan-ti temple which guardians are asleep protecting whatever treasures lie within. Filled to the brim with traps, said treasure, puzzles and loadsa guardians just waiting to leap out and violently murder the hobos trying to pilfer the temple.

Kuo-Toa and Grung inhabiting the jungle doing ooky dooky tribal things and large bodies of water hidden within the thick trees.

And of course ghost pirates who seek to claim the players lives so they themselves can come back to life and get back to doing pirate things.
>>
>>51917662
>wielding != holding
The designers have made abundantly clear that this is wrong when they answered questions about the Kensei. If you're holding a nonmonk weapon, you lose martial arts benefits.

>>51917750
Also this.
>>
Rate how bad this idea is? Still need to formulate it better, but opinions about the general idea?

Way of the Elemental Warrior

>Elemental Attunement
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to attune to the elements. During a short rest, you can attune to one element. At 6th level you can attune to 2, and at 17th level you are attuned to all elements. Each element has a damage type tied into it.

>Fire. Damage type: Fire.
>Water. Damage type: Cold.
>Wind. Damage type: Force.
>Earth. Damage type: Bludgeoning.

As a bonus action, you can activate an element you have attuned to during a short rest. This activation lasts for one minute. While activated, you gain resistance to the damage type and can use 1 ki to make a ranged martial arts attack (20/60) using the damage type. You also gain the following benefits:

>Fire. Your martial arts attacks do additional 1d4 fire damage
>Water. Your martial arts attacks have reach
>Wind. Your movement speed increases by 10ft and your jumping distance is doubled.
>Earth. Your AC is increased by 2, and you have advantage against spell effects that would force movement.

>Elemental Shift.
At 6th level, you can change an attuned element as an action. You spend 1 Ki and change one of your attuned elements. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or a long rest.

>Secret Element.
At 11th level, you choose one of the following secret elements, and gain the benefit from it.

>Blue Flame. Fire damage from your elemental attunement becomes 1d8.
>Lightning. You can use 7 Ki to cast chain lightning as a 6th level spell once per long rest.
>Metal. Your martial arts attacks can cause either bludgeoning, slashing or piercing damage and your martial arts die becomes one step higher (1d8 is 1d10, 1d10 is 1d12).

>Master of Four Elements.
At 17th level, you can activate all of your attuned elements with one bonus action.

Obviously ATLA as fuck, but I tried to make it cool.
>>
>>51917640
>>51917604
>>51917566

Sorry I hadn't notice some of my post got cut off. The spell list is for a reoccuring NPC employed by the BBEG.

Also, is the Rakshasa's limited magic immunity a real slap in the face as a player or should I settle for magic resistance?
>>
>>51917746
Let's be honest though, that's barely even a ribbon. The only one that has any real use is the lighter and even then that's just for being cool.
>>
File: 1482865055660.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1482865055660.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>51917728
SPELL SNIPER DOESN'T GIVE EXTRA DAMAGE

YOUR FATHER IS VERY DISAPPOINTED

>>51917750
I suppose that is always an option, but this is mainly going to be used up close anyways. I guess it'd get around that stupid fucking "HURR DURR U CAN ONLY DRAW ONE DART PER TURN (BUT UP TO 8 ARROWS)

Actually, does that rule even apply to Darts because they're Ranged Weapons?
>>
File: tumblr_o66wt8inif1rv1nxto2_500.png (145KB, 500x591px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o66wt8inif1rv1nxto2_500.png
145KB, 500x591px
>>51917075
Battlemaster Fighter even has moves like feint, parry, riposte, that kinda thing.

It should be a lot of fun.
>>
>>51917297
True, but getting shields as a bladelock means either following the hexblade patron (not a terrible option) or taking the moderately armored feat (debatable, since you can also improve several features by getting +2 dex, or taking something like war caster).

Currently I'm figuring on ignoring shields and going with AC 18, on the assumption that other forms of defense (temp HP from false life/armor of Agathys, Blink, Mirror Image) will protect me. I'll report back.
>>
>>51914770
Additionally, how do you rule counterspelling a subtle spell if the counter-er is anticipating that the spellcaster is going to cast a spell?
>>
>>51917793
Ranged weapons =/= ammunition, RAW.

However, ask your DM if you can draw weapons with the thrown property as if they were ammunition (as in, as many as you like). It's not like being able to draw 3+ daggers per turn is going to break the game any more than being a 3rd-level wizard will.
>>
>>51917775
Can you activate your attuned element at will? Seems a bit much.
+2 AC is very dangerous on monks, who can reach 20 AC already without sacrificing anything.
I don't like the Secret Element feature much. I get the Avatar TLA connection but I think if anything you should allow one type of improvement per element (e.g. choose between lightning/metal/blood/...something).
Otherwise seems fun.
>>
>>51917775
Oh, a point that was unclear: The ranged attack is supposed to be comboable with everything martial arts attack can be with; it can be part of Flurry of Blows.

And martial arts attacks probably should be specified, I meant any unarmed attacks. I will fix that promptly.
>>
I am making a race that is really good at math. Aside for Int, which other profidencie should I give it?
>>
>>51917955
Choose from Investigation (Like that show NUM3ERS), Perception (Spent all their life noticing how numbers work), Persuasion (Just ranting about how math proves them right), and Insight (Because fuck it math isn't a fighting asset, give them something to help the RP along).
>>
>>51917622
>Firstly you can't draw more than one dart a turn
You're right. The Shortbow, or Longbow for elves, is a better choice for this.
>>
>>51917894
Activation is at will, yes, but Monks are very bonus-action dependent, so I thought it's fine. Making that use Ki could drain them out faster, but the effects are pretty good for that cost. I will make the 17th level feature drain some Ki, at least.

Oh, that is right, I forgot that goddarn Blood as a Secret Element. What would I have for wind, then... Levitation / Flight? Lightning and Blue Flame are kind of separate things, although they both are derived from fire, so I'll probably keep them both.
>>
>>51917566
Especially for an NPC, you should try to keep the spell list more compact.
>>
>>51914770
>does the caster of Counterspell know what spell is about to be cast before he decides to Counterspell it?

Arcana Check, 10+ Level of spell, automatic recognition if the spell is on the caster's spell list.

>>51917831

Can't counterspell subtle spell unless it's a glyph of warding counterspell or some other meta sense, like having detect magic turned on
>>
>>51918082
That list up there is just the spells I've chosen to pull from. I'm keeping it condensed at first but he'll gain new spells as time goes on.

I've memorized almost every 1-4th level spell anyways so even if that's the final list I won't be stumbling around the PHB looking for spell effects
>>
>>51918096
>Can't counterspell subtle spell

However, a Bard can use Cutting Words on the Subtle Counterspell skill check, if one is required.
>>
>>51917771
>The designers have made abundantly clear that this is wrong when they answered questions about the Kensei. If you're holding a nonmonk weapon, you lose martial arts benefits.
Literally the opposite of the designer's answers on this, but thanks anyway.

To be clear, I mean "the words mean what the words mean" is the opposite of abundantly clear, and the words mean you do not lose martial arts for holding a weapon.
>>
>>51917825
>I'll report back.
Reports from actual play? Heretic.

I look forward to it.
>>
>>51917771
>>51918201
[Citation needed]
Otherwise y'all are just arguing pointlessly
>>
>>51918282
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/808904018265341952
>>
>>51917775
Some mechanical problems: Fire gives a damage bonus. Earth would give bludgeoning resistance. The ranged martial arts attack is probably not worth 1 ki for all the attacks, I certainly hope you didn't mean 1 ki for each attack.

Each element should give comparable, and at level 3 minor, effects.
>>
>>51918315
Also specifies kensei weapons are monk weapons. I'm not convinced this means monks can hold a heavy crossbow and use martial arts. This also does not mention holding/wielding.
>>
>>51918393
Hard to balance out, I'd say. Earth gives 2 AC for a reason, because bludgeoning is a piss-poor damage resistance. Fire gives a damage bonus, but I think Water and Earth are comparable in use.

Wind gives you the ability to cause Force damage with a ranged attack, that's why the effect is so lackluster. On the other hand, Earth, does nonmagical bludgeoning damage with its ranged attack.

I tried to balance it in a way that the overall level of the 3rd level abilities is equal, even if the singular benefits can be weaker.

I'm not sure what to do with the ranged attacks. They are a staple of the genre, but 1 ki is too much. Maybe make them free but have them do less damage than physical attacks?
>>
>>51917207
Around 12 or higher, as in 9-14.

The point was still the same, the strengths all start late. I'm not so autistic as to recall the exact fucking levels every class gets their cool shit, let along autistic enough to state each of them for your satisfaction.

Anon are you sure you aren't fucking thick?
>>
New thread.

>>51913748
>>51913748
>>
>>51918523
>bludgeoning is a piss-poor damage resistance
Are you fucking kidding me?

I think the important thing to balancing these is to spread out the benefits beyond level 3, as well.
>>
>>51917793
>>51917865
What allows someone to fire 8 hours?

Jesus christ how awesome__
>>
>>51918588
I was thinking of having the damage resistance replace the level 6 feature, because the feature becomes obsolete at level 17, and that's just bad design. And maybe have the damage resistance be by attunement, not activation.

>bludgeoning is a piss-poor damage resistance
Most physical attacks I've come across have been either slashing or piercing, and I didn't think it would apply to magical bludgeoning damage. But I guess having one of the three primary nonmagical damage types is good. I gotta rethink this, to be honest.
>>
>>51918647
Plenty of damage is nonmagical, and you'd have to specify if you want magical damage to bypass it, otherwise it's like the barbarian.
>>
>>51918689
Yeah, I added that. The damage type is now nonmagical bludgeoning, so both the damage and the resistance are defined as nonmagical.
>>
>>51917075
>FWIW, succubi used to be demons, then became devils, then became NE independent fiends.

We're aware.
>>
>>51916975
things get tricky when you have to make sure there are no discrepancies between B/X, BECMI, OD&D, 1e, 2e, 3.5 and 5e

its surprisingly hard to keep shit straight between the editions that are very similar, in particular.
>>
>>51916944
>>51916868

Seriously. The supreme envy complex act gets old.
>>
>>51918867
Not sure what you're talking about.

Man, it's almost like people prefer and work with DIFFERENT things!

haha! how neat is that?
That's pretty neat.
>>
>>51918929

This guy >>51916664 and whoever it is that also, in every thread, wails and writhes in angst about the terrible suffering that is playing a martial.
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.