[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Magic Item Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 438
Thread images: 49

File: DMG_MagicItems.jpg (2MB, 1500x1950px) Image search: [Google]
DMG_MagicItems.jpg
2MB, 1500x1950px
>New UA: Mass Combat! Don't forget the survey!
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mass-combat

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51842331

Post your homebrew magic items!
>>
Are there rules for playing a Gnoll?
>>
>>51847914
I'll repost some i came up with for an anon looking for items for a seafaring campaign

>Blade of the Scrimshawer
>Dagger (Attunement)
>This ever sharpened dagger deals an additional 2d4 damage on a hit to any creature with a swim speed.
>While attuned to this dagger, whenever the wielder kills a small or larger Beast with a swim speed, they may spend one hour carving Scrimshaw from its remains.
>The art piece is worth 2d8 gold, and an additional 2d8 gold per size category above small. This ability can't be used unless the creature died within the last hour.

>Lure Lantern
>This enchanted lantern is made from the head of a mysterious deep sea fish.
>When water is placed inside the Lantern, it casts bright light in a 30 foot radius, and dim light for an additional 30.
>If placed in the ocean, it attracts various fish from up to a mile away.
>You have advantage on survival checks to acquire food and the amount of food acquired is triple the normal amount if the lantern is used for this purpose.

>Hat of the Eternal Captain
>(Attunement)
>Wearing this hat grants you proficiency in Sea vehicles. If you already are proficient, you may double your proficiency bonus instead.
>As an action, you may give an order to a creature over which you have authority. That creature gets advantage on its next attack roll or ability check if it follows your orders,
>otherwise it gets disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks until your next turn.
>>
> 2/2017
> still putting discord link in the OP
>>
>>51847946
>Grasp of the Sea
>Gloves (Attunement)
>This pair of four fingered gloves is made from the remains of a large, tentacled sea beast.
>While wearing these gloves you can't be disarmed.
>You have advantage on Athletics checks involving climbing or grappling.
>If you make an unarmed attack, you deal an additional 1d4 bludgeoning damage on a hit, and may attempt to grapple as a bonus action.

>Guard of the Mariner
>+1 Studded Leather (Attunement)
>While wearing this armor, you have a 30 swim speed and 20 climb speed.
>In addition, you can not be forcibly moved off a boat unless you allow it, instead treat the edge as a wall of force.

>Barricade of the Reef (Barrier Reef)
>Shield (Attunement)
>This magical shield was formed from coral off the shores of a distant land, and gifted to a Merfolk King in hopes of peace. Originally a light pink color, it is now perpetually the crimson of shed blood.
>While wielding this shield you have advantage on Concentration checks.
>When you are dealt damage by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cause the enemy to make a DC:13 dexterity saving throw.
>On a failed save, they take 1d8 piercing damage and have disadvantage on attacks against you until the end of their turn.
>While submerged in water you can use a bonus action to cause the shield to animate. It floats around you, protecting you from attacks as if you were wielding it, leaving your hands free.
>The shield remains animated for 1 minute, until you use a bonus action to end this effect, or until you are incapacitated or die, at which point the shield slowly floats to the surface, or into your hands if you have one free.
>>
>>51847944
Gnolls in 5e are basically unstoppable murder machines fueled by demonic hunger that are compelled to feed on the flesh of sentients at all times.

Playing one would be incredibly difficult for all involved. To answer your question though: nope.
>>
>>51847944
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51847944
Check Volo's.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD_Victoria/comments/5vhi6v/5e_game_looking_for_players_also_shadowrun/

Running a game in Victoria BC
>>
Would sinking 3 levels into paladin as a fighter for roleplayish reasons (+ divine strike) be a mistake?
>>
>>51848001
you'd lose out on an ASI, an extra attack, and your fighter archetype capstone, but if you're not expecting to get to a high level it isn't THAT bad. a second fighting style can improve your versatility and lay on hands can be a bit nifty at times for an extra boost of HP. your smites are gonna kinda suck tho since you only have three 1st lvl spell slots (unless you go EK).

honestly it might just be better to go straight paladin
>>
>>51848001
the meme that multiclassing equals good roleplaying has got to die
>>
>>51848001

What this anon >>51848013 said is on the money.

It's a better idea to go full paladin or paladin with a fighter dip than it would be to go fighter with a paladin dip.
>>
>>51848070
The meme that "the meme that [x] has to die" has to die.
>>
>>51847946
>>51847960
I remember seeing these in an old thread, they seem super neat
>>
>>51848001

If you're getting three levels of Paladin you might as well get six for the best single-level ability in the game.
>>
Feedback anon, I passed along your feedback with the survey.
>>
>>51848071
I want that oath of devotion, but I also want to be a purple dragon knight. I basically just want to be the most positive little halfling that ever picked up a sword.
>>
Are there any particularly lenient/nice archfey? what would be the most easygoing, comfortable archfey to serve as a warlock?
>>
>playing a bladelock, 5th level
>respecced to hexblade when it came out
>have Curse Bringer, DM lets me use Cha for it despite me saying I would respec with Strength if need be
>fighting an archer 1-on-1
>crit him
>spend my second spell slot on that smite
>55 damage (knock him out, no need to kill this time)
>and that's with very shit damage rolls, average on that set of rolls was 75-ish
If you think rogue crits or paladin smite crits feel good, the new bladelock invocations critting will knock you the fuck out.
>>
>>51847914
Spear of Equal Exchange
>+2 spear
>As a command, extend the spear's range out to 20 feet
>While the spear is extended, half of all damage dealt by the spear is dealt to the wielder
>>
>>51848141
Which is why I don't like them.
>>
>>51848156
That's not equal at all.
>>
>>51848156
Is this where your mom becomes a horrific monster, your brother loses his physical body and you lose an arm and leg?
>>
Is tomelock any good? Having access to all ritual spell seem nice.
>>
>>51848191
> fey tomelock
> get find steed
> push enemy 20 feet away and reduce their speed by 10 while moving at 200 feet speed per round

Best turret ever
>>
>>51848175
It was never their mom anon.
>>
Should I use the points system to distribute my ability scores or should I just roll and hope I get lucky? I'm afraid of getting shit rolls....
>>
>>51847914

Gloves of the blade sage
Requires the Ki feature and attunement.
A set of satin like white gloves that exude a sharp aura.

>While wearing them once per turn your unarmed strike deals an additional 1d4 slashing damage.
>Anything you grasp that is not made out of metal takes 1 slashing damage every two turns.
>As a bonus action you may expend two ki to summon a spectral dagger that homes in on a target that you can see within its thrown range. The target takes MA die +Wis mod force damage without fail and the dagger then dissapates.

Blue Oyster Horn
Requires the Bard class
An azure horn carved from a giant oyster shell
You may use this horn as a bardic focus.

>This item has 1d4+1 magical charges that are restored at dawn. When you use the last charge make a DC15 save with a d20. On a failed save this item is destroyed.
>As an action you may begin playing a performance and expend a charge of this magic item to add your proficiency bonus to the attack and damage rolls of your allies within 60 ft of you untill the end of your next turn.
>You may expend a bardic inspiration die to double the bonus.

Moon-Tree saber
Requires the Druid class.
A white saber with a wood like-grain.

>Attack and damage rolls with this saber are made using your WIS modifier instead of STR or DEX.
>The saber glows shedding dim light within a 10 ft radus.
>You may expend your bonus action to deal an additonal Wis mod in radiant damage with it against a target you have hit with it during that turn.
>As an action you max expend one use of your shapechange feature to summon a wolf formed from pure light in a free space within 20ft from you. It will immediatley charge a target within 30 ft of you. The target will have to make a DC15 Dex save. On a failed save it takes Druid level + Wis mod radiant damage and its movement speed is reduced to 0 untill the end of your next turn. On a sucessfull save the target only takes half damage.
>>
>>51848168
>>51848175
Haha! Joke's on me, my DM came up with this shit.
>>
>>51848268
Do you ask online before wiping your ass anon ?
>>
>>51847966
>>51847966

>they are furry orcs now, all 3e and 4e lore throen out the window
>orcs are dindus who are playable thanks to warcraft

Jesus fucking christ.
>>
Do you use standard rules for crafting or some kind of homebrew and why?
>>
What's the best way to kill an extremely powerful npc that currently sees me as friendly but is still causing our party a great deal of grief?
>>
>>51848374
If I were as much of a cunt as >>51848287
I'd say "hurr don't ask questions here hurr im retarded"

But instead I'll ask for more details on the NPC? Off the top of my head if he's friendly to you, depending on your DM you should get advantage on your first attack against him, and you might have an easier time sabotaging him or making him walk into a trap. Tell me more about you and your party, classes ect.
>>
>>51848325
I use homebrew because the default is too slow and too vague.
>>
What was /tg/ opinion on the UA? I haven't seen it until this thread, it seems like it's useful but not very exciting.
>>
>>51848422
I'm never going to be able to land a hit on him, advantage or not, and if I did the damage will likely not be enough to kill him immediately
We're fairly sure the DM is just treating him as a high level monk, so he's probably immune to poison and disease as well
We're currently all level 5, an artificer (alchemist), a monk (Sun Soul), Bard (not actually sure what she is) and a Light Cleric/Wizard
I was thinking poison until I learnt he was a monk, now i'm thinking to just crush him with an elaborate trap
>>
>>51848469
It's not that useful, either. Large-scale combat in such a character-focused edition of D&D is basically useless, unlikely to come up in any campaigns. At least they shortened and simplified it, even if the opposed BR check math is completely broken unless the DM hand-adjusts each unit so that they can actually compete with each other.
>>
>>51848486
Do you have a way of making him fall asleep or unconscious via a spell, potion, ect? If so, again depending on your DM, you may be able to dispatch him without a fight, but a coup de grace is isn't really done in 5e anymore, so it really depends on how nice your DM is.

If you can't do the coup de grace, your entire party gets advantage on a sleeping target and if attacks hit, its an auto-crit.

Failing that, come up with some sort of elaborate trap and role play the shit out of it. Rig the ceiling to fall in on him, try to bind him up and toss him out a high window, something along those lines. Make it make sense, be clear, concise and elaborate and make it sound real good when roleplaying it. Maybe if your DM is in a good mood, they'll allow it.
>>
>>51848539
He's an important story character who has given us a few quests now but we only undertook them begrudgingly, I get the feeling that no matter which way I go the DM is going to kick and scream to keep him alive so whatever I do has to be pretty much written down in black and white in one of the handbooks
>>
>>51848469
Nobody asked for it, and it's shit.
>>
>>51848590
Is this a homebrew campaign or one of the books? If so, which and who?
>>
>>51848590
It doesn't matter if you succeed in killing him or not. It's about a sending a message. We don't like your DMPC. We don't like him enough to try and kill him.
>>
File: 280691432207941632.png (12KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
280691432207941632.png
12KB, 112x112px
>Post your homebrew magic items!

An eyeball and an eye patch. The eye is frantically darting around. If you put on the eye patch, you can control where the eye looks and can see through it as if it was your own.

This has been super fun to play with. Rolling it under doors. Having our Druid turn into a spider and carry it into a place we need to investigate. Same Druid turning into a bird and becoming our own personal drone.
>>
>Comments on the 5th edition warlock

From 2nd-11th levels, warlocks have 2 spells slots/SR. Assuming 6-8 encounters and 2-3 SRs/day, warlocks have, on average, just 1 available slot/encounter. From 5th level onward, full casting classes dramatically outpace warlocks with their daily allotment of spells, even before wizards and sorcerers use their own spell slot recovery features. While warlocks have one unique advantage, casting all spells at the same spell level, if an encounter proves long or difficult, they can fizzle out of spell slots faster than any other casting class or archetype. This compounds their already limited flexibility, and furthermore, discourages player creativity. Warlocks simply lack the resources to risk doing something interesting, compared to what reliably works (Hex+EB). By 11th level, they finally gain a 3rd slot and their first arcanum, which just begins to alleviate the problem, but that 3rd slot comes least a couple levels too late.

"Tax invocations" (invocations for EB and pact boon, which are necessary to validate warlock) take up least half of their invocations known until 12th level, and while many of the at-will options are neat, others are niche at best, and many invocations require a spell slot in addition to a 1/LR limitation, making them untenable.
>>
>>51848607
It's adventurers league, but I think we've stopped running adventures league content and started doing homebrew quests within the setting of Parnast and the surrounding areas. The man in question is the half elf, leosund I think his name is
>>
>>51848660
Sure, but the warlock has the thematic powers of a witch.
>>
Does anyone know if there is a rule against saving spell selections until a higher level? For example, picking my first level spells/cantrips and then for levels 2-4 not picking anything, then when I hit level 5 picking 8 spells?
>>
File: 1487557054273.png (375KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
1487557054273.png
375KB, 640x450px
Just ordered my first Player's Handbook. :3
>>
>>51846716
You missed the point. In 5e, my rulings are arbitrary due to the lack of flexibile but supporting rules. In 4e, my rulings are fast, fair, and usually fun, all because of the simple effectiveness of their tag system and descriptions. I'm actually free to be more flexible with 4e abilities.

Though I suspect you're one of those morons who believed the meme, unsupported by any game rule, that you could only use 4e abilities in combat. If so, shame on you.
>>
>>51848156
>>>51847914 (OP)
>Spear of Equal Exchange
>>+2 spear
>>As a command, extend the spear's range out to 20 feet
>>While the spear is extended, half of all damage dealt by the spear is dealt to the wielder
Quick. Extend the spear by twenty feat into your opponents hands. Note he is considered as wielding it. Stab yourself on the spear
????
Profit
>>
>>51848156
>>>51847914 (OP)
>Spear of Equal Exchange
>>+2 spear
>>As a command, extend the spear's range out to 20 feet
>>While the spear is extended, half of all damage dealt by the spear is dealt to the wielder
>Extend the spear by twenty feat into your opponents hands.
>Note he is considered as wielding it.
>Stab yourself on the spear
>????
>Profit
>>
>>51848711
You get the features at the specified levels. No delaying, no anticipating.
>>
>>51848804
The design intent is that there aren't supporting rules because it's intended that a relatively new DM, who might not know every single nook and cranny of the system, can fairly make rulings within their own judgement based on how they want their campaign.

I won't say that's entirely good, and once you really know the system well it kinda feels like it'd be nice to have tags so you can determine certain things for sure without getting into a shitlong debate about various parts of text in a book which suggests that maybe this one ability might not work in the incredibly off chance this one event happens, but...

Yes, 5e is simple and maybe doesn't fit people who want to know the system inside out and make solid, definite rulings on everything. There's ups and downs. Seriously, what the fuck is up with their terminology on things such as 'Melee weapon attack' being an attack that doesn't necessarily use a weapon?

>>51848808
>Not making him stab himself for 150% damage
>>
>>51848804
I think his point is that you lack creativity because you need rules to do your thinking for you, that makes you a shit DM.
One of the flaws in 4e is that everything was geared more toward combat rather than outside of combat, why else would the meme you speak of have come into being?
>>
>>51848857
>why else would the meme you speak of have come into being
Not him, but people just wanted to hate on 4E because "it was like WoW" and they were majorly assblasted by all their knowledge and experience from 3X now being worthless.

So many of the criticisms aren't just wrong, they're fucking backwards, like the idea that 4E discourages roleplay. The system encourages you to do whatever you want and gets away from characters being told "no, you can't do that / you're shit at that" because past editions have 20 skills and tables for everything and you have to roll to tie your shoes and I hope you've got a good Dex because the DC is fucking 10 for some arbitrary reason even when you're a level 12 Wizard. On top of that, the books go out of their ways to encourage roleplay more than past editions and explains to DMs and players that they should just go with shit, not get bogged down in statistical minutiae, and otherwise just treat shit like "theater of the mind" systems where everything is ad hoced and arbitrated by the DM/table. The only shit that was heavily quantified was the actual combat, since it was so "tactical" and grid-based.

But you still got "lol 4E is roll-play, not role-play" coming out of the same sick fucks who have three different forms of type-specific Cheesemaking (the processes are totally different for Mozzarella and Gruyere, you know) on their 3X character sheets.

All that aside,
>One of the flaws in 4e is that everything was geared more toward combat rather than outside of combat
There was nothing to say that your ability to turn into lightning and teleport next to a dude and shank him in the liver meant you could only do that with a creature target you intended to murder and not, say, teleport-as-lightning over any gap you fucking wanted out of combat.
>>
>>51848814
>>51848857
I don't lack creativity friend. I can pretty clearly think of any number of possible rulings, equally valid in 5e. The problem is that picking among these rulings feels arbitrary in most situations. Nice reading comprehension though!

>>51848819
See, I actually found it more frustrating as a new DM, because there were tons of rules questions that simply don't have answers, or even hints. As my mastery of the rules increased, the problem decreased, but never really went away.

Then we tried 4e for a bit, and it was so much easier to DM for. I was pretty annoyed, reading the 4e DMG and seeing all the helpful stuff it gave me compared to the 5e DMG. We ended up sticking with 5e for player reasons (smaller group at the time, and it's way easier to find more people for 5e than it is 4e), but I'd prefer to go back if we had the choice.
>>
File: Aberration Ideas.png (186KB, 670x502px) Image search: [Google]
Aberration Ideas.png
186KB, 670x502px
>>
File: Races of Stone.png (383KB, 1092x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Races of Stone.png
383KB, 1092x1040px
>>
File: Races of the Dragon.png (283KB, 754x979px) Image search: [Google]
Races of the Dragon.png
283KB, 754x979px
>>
File: Races of the Wild.png (872KB, 2132x1452px) Image search: [Google]
Races of the Wild.png
872KB, 2132x1452px
Yeah I know it's not 5th edition, sue me.
>>
>>51849005
the second part of my post was just repeating the meme, but you do lack creativity if you find shit arbitrary because you have no rules to base shit off of, 5e doesn't want a lot of rules like 4e and 3.pf had/have, it even says in the DMG if you aren't sure just roll with it and common sense dictates if you don't want it repeated say yes this once but never again.
>>
>>51849063
You'll find, as you grow into the adult world, that common sense isn't so common, and that using it as a basis for rulings in rpgs is a recipe for salt. Also, do you know what creativity means?
>>
Been playing Pathfinder for a few years now, never played D&D at all. I'm about to be in a 5e game; what should I expect?
>>
>>51849079
Yeah, creativity is the ability to imagine different ways of doing things particularly in artistic pursuits, and to think of things outside the box, in my view anyway.

BTW I do know that common sense isn't very common, and what we actually mean by common sense is basic logic that seems inherent to those of us somewhat more intelligent than the average and not real common sense which is just basically word of mouth from parents/family to children.
>>
>>51849141
>Yeah, creativity is the ability to imagine different ways of doing things particularly in artistic pursuits, and to think of things outside the box, in my view anyway.

And like I said shitposter-kun, I'm able to do that. But picking between the various options I can think of is ultimately arbitrary.

In the future, please try to understand the words you are using, and how the relate to the other words you are using, and even the words other people are using. It will help your posts be meaningful.
>>
>>51848208
>find steed
It isn't a ritual
>>
>>51849171
You have not displayed that ability to me, but perhaps I was being a bit harsh, I don't actually know you.

I don't consider ruling on things arbitrary, i try to be as fair as is possible, basing my answers and rulings on basic assumptions about how something works/would work if there's no rule for it specifically.
>>
>>51848687
After being bitten by a radioactive witch, Warlockman gained the proportional powers of a witch!

>>51848660
Warlocks deal more damage with their at will blast than a wizard with a cantrip, they couldn't also have much spell casting. Compare them to an ek with a bow instead, less slots bit higher level.
>>
My DM has been complaining recently about how slow D&D combat is. We do have 7 players, but even when he comes to my place and I DM for him and some friends, our group is only 3 people, he thinks combat still feels slow.

Any suggestions? Are there rules for alternative combat rules to make it all go faster?
Or should we just play in a different system?
>>
>>51849177
I think he meant phantom steed (which is superior spell btw)
>>
>>51849234
Give every player ten seconds to decide what they want to do on their turn. It makes it so that while the initiative is going around, they think about what they're going to do.
>>
>>51849234
5e combat is shit. I suggest challenging your players in other ways with the next campaign. For instance, we're running an all rogue party and they're focusing the campaign on heists instead of hits. It's great. We avoid the worst part of 5e, and focus on some of the better ones.

If you insist on doing combat though, some houserules help:

>you have 30 seconds from when I call your turn to take an action, move, and bonus action. If you have haste, or use some other feature that grants you additional actions, you can have an additional 30 seconds. If time is called, any unused actions, move actions, or bonus actions are lost.

>You are not allowed to talk outside of your turn, unless the DM calls timeout for discussion. Any talking done is in character unless timeout is called, or a rules question is being asked of the DM.
>>
>>51848660
I think the best way to help the warlock is to make more cantrips for warlocks that are as worth taking as Eldritch Blast.

Because right now, it seems kinda boring for my friends to play a warlock.
They sit there casting EB and thats it.
Though i don't know if our Bladelocks knows about GFB or BB.

I honestly think giving 2 more cantrips that are as good as EB would result in people taking different invocations.

Though i guess with the new UA invocations kind of make that difficult without adding a shitton of invocations to compensate for customization.
>>
File: 1484153903585.jpg (29KB, 480x411px) Image search: [Google]
1484153903585.jpg
29KB, 480x411px
>>51848626
The Assassin's Familiar

A single-use artifact in the shape of a matte black egg that turns a door in to door mimic upon slamming it against a door. It had the ability to become ascended if it was used to absorb the soul of a monster (had to be held by the PC dealing the killing blow and invoked with a bonus action before killing, may be invoked 1 time per week) and increasing the CR of the monster's stats it would copy.

Funny thing, I was running a campaign with this item and it all went to hell.
>group consists of a Paladin, Barbarian, Asshole Rogue and a Cleric
>they roll on through the hideout of a notorious assassin and their gang to do a quick run through
>Asshole Rogue goes superstealth and finds the assassin, ends the fight early
>they loot the lair, and I happened to roll them the Assassin's Familiar
>Asshole Rogue takes it and loads it with a kill every week for 5 weeks and I forget about it

>they get a task to kill Lord McAskingforit
>bring in NPC to start planning their assault on the Lord's keep
>designed the whole keep full of encounters and story tidbits, opportunities
>Asshole Rogue says she wants to go alone and does the whole "Trust me on this"-routine
>group supports this and gets hype
>have no idea what they are planning, but player fun is the most important thing so roll with it
>Asshole Rogue sneaks in to the keep as a maid
>rolls well enough to get to the Lord's quarters
>*SMASH*
>she says "That'd be a total CR of 57" with the biggest grin on their face all game
>fuckfuckfuck I didn't design this properly and didn't plan for the spam beforehand
>not gonna retcon this, fine, let's have a look
>flip a coin between the two 57 CR monsters
>HECATONCHEIRES
>A FUCKING HECATONCHEIRES
>everyone is ecstatic and loses their shit
>Genius Rogue skips away and joins the party to watch the carnage
>Hecatoncheires-Mimic proceeds to kill everything
>EVERYTHING, party is lvl 14
>campaign ends in an epilogue of a Door-dominated wasteland
>>
>>51849318
The best way to fix warlock is twofold:

>merge the bladelock invocations in the PHB with the bladelock feature.
>add more At Will type invocations.
>>
>>51848306
Orcs are still murder machines, but more shamany and tactical. They build armies and wage war. Gnolls are more like a pact of Batman Jokers. Burning for the sake of burning. A better comparison would be Tanaruks which are orcs with a fiendish taint.
>>
Is 4chan still broken or can I post finally
>>
>>51849470
Nope your message is coming in like this:
"** ***** ***** ****** ** *** * **** *******"
>>
>>51849470
I can see your post fine, i dont know about images though.
>>
>>51848726
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>51848726
Did you at least consider earlier editions before ordering for this shit one?
>>
Warlocks are Ranged Charisma Martials, and should be played as such.

That being said, agonizing blast should be inherent, as should the pseudo extra attack invocation. Also, the 'learn a spell' invocations are ass.
>>
I have to make a city map and a world map for the first time ever. Any suggestions?

I've put it off for as long as I could, but the party is going to be doing a lot of open-world shit from now on so it's just unavoidable. Shoot me.
>>
>>51849648
>instead of warlocks being a 2 level dip class, they should only be a 1 level dip class.

Making agonizing blast inherent is so retarded that you could only be Crawford or Mearls.
>>
>>51849323

LOL at designing an item like that and not having a maximum CR or some other limiting feature.
>>
>>51849693
Nigga, i didn't say at level one, but inherent to the class, just like every other class feature.
>>
>>51849693
cantrip scaling by character level was a mistake, hands down.
>>
>>51849666
You have plenty of options.

Grab an actual premade setting. There are many good ones. They have existing worldmaps and citymaps aplenty.

Pick real life places, and rotate them and copy the general geography then make them a large island that's no longer recognizable. Place cities and towns and points of interests on them.

Just use hexographer and make a neat oldschool hexmap.

Go even olderschool and use some colored pencils and just draw something. It doesn't have to be great. The simple fact you made it for your players is good enough.

Or if all else fails, just download random maps from the internets you like the look of. Deviantart for example has literally tens of thousands.
>>
>>51849727
It sort of boggles the mind that they allowed it, when they won't allow extra attacks from martial classes to scale.

So essentially, cantrips scale for the caster multiclasses, but attacks won't scale properly for the martial multiclasses.
>>
File: IMG_0296.jpg (44KB, 587x347px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0296.jpg
44KB, 587x347px
>>51849323
>campaign ends with an epilogue of a Door-dominated wasteland

Holy kek
>>
So uhhhhhh, I had a Nothic offer a low level Warlock more power if he betrays the party and I think he's going to do it.

Whoops.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 640x640px
Hey /tg/enlemen, gonna play a oneshot wirh level 10 pcs and would like some advices for fun fighting builds since I've bever played 5e beyond level 5.
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>51850079
Is UA content allow? Forge cleric is fun
>>
>>51849783
makes perfect sense to me

martials aren't supposed to get too much stronger at high levels, while magic users' power has unlimited potential
>>
>>51849648
I still think /tg/ doesn't like temp HP builds or the passive charisma damage you get just by standing there or the Hexblade being perfectly fine as a Melee alternative.
>>
Tell me about your setting's Tarrasque, /5eg/

Do your players know about it? Does anyone in your setting? Where is it currently? Will it make an appearance in your campaign?
>>
>>51849783
You can use a rapier and shield with high strength to combine three fighting styles, rage, reckless attacks, sneak attacks, action surge, hunter's fighting technique, flurry, BM maneuvers, and divine smite on crits. If you took 5 levels in every caster that learns fireball, you could cast fireball. Tell me which one is progressing.
>>
I'm looking to run a chase scene for my adventure, but I didn't like the chase scene rules in the DMG. Has anyone found any chase scene rules they like or found any success in running a chase?
>>
>>51849666
Just draw some random shape with a shaky hand to make it semi realistic.
Then divide it with some logic (X Nation borders with Y Nation here because there's a big river dividing them)
Don't make it too detailed with a hundred names on it, players won't care if you do.
Come up with some thematic shit (this is the Great Swamp dominated by Chaos creatures and such) and then add details on the go
>>
Diviner wizard with phantasmal force is so much fun!
>>
>>51847914
>Don't forget the survey!
I answered I was very satisfied with Lore Master

And why people didnt like hexblade? I saw a lot of hate for it
>>
File: readthemulticlassingrulesplease.png (585KB, 469x565px) Image search: [Google]
readthemulticlassingrulesplease.png
585KB, 469x565px
>>51850150
You should read the multiclass rules again (or maybe for the first time?). If you take 4 5 level dips in full caster classes for your build, you can cast fireball as a 3rd level spell 3 times, a 4th level spell 3 times, a 5th level spell 3 times, a 6th level spell 2 times, a 7th level spell 2 times, an 8th level spell 1 time, and a 9th level spell 1 time.

Even if we ignore all the other elements of your progression (leveled cantrips, features like magical secrets which still let you learn high level spells, etc, etc), you're progressing on par damage wise with the martial.
>>
>>51850158
4e skill challenge, set required number of successes based on the desired length of the chase, failures based partially on difficulty.
>>
>>51849119
Prepare for relatively normal characters. No turboslut kitsune shotas with three different prestige classes.

Prepare that martials aren't absolute shit. Monks are still a little weak but playable.

Prepare to have a much faster game, because advantage is such a quick mechanic.

Prepare to have fun
>>
>>51850146
There's a couple crazy old wizards that believe it exists, but most people don't take them seriously. Right now the Tarrasque is taking a nap inside a cavern underground
My players currently don't know of it's existence but it knows they exist, so you're damned right it's going to make an appearance
>>
>>51850261
I personally love Hexblade. /5eg/ just doesn't like gishes as a rule of thumb, especially if they're not 100% optimal. My main issue is that their Hexblade's curse is ironically better for a normal ranged Warlock than a melee one. Their extended spell list is also kinda ass and they're super front loaded, meaning just a couple level dip is very, very powerful (I know you're not supposed to MC UA content, but I'm comparing it to finished material), although the same could be same about the base Warlock in that regard so at least they're being consistent.
>>
>>51850098
Everything is permitted, DM just challenged me to make the most op bullshit PC I can.
>>
>>51850261
Lore master is the worst part of the homebrew. It takes a giant dump on sorcerer players, especially after their UA was one of the worst released.

Hexblade is fine, but currently needs balance tweaks, because it contributes to some very overpowered builds, and the level 1 gains are so fucking powerful compared to the level 1 gains of every other patrone except maybe GOO.
>>
Let me get this straight, I might be reading it wrong and if so I blame that I didn't sleep in 30 hours, but mass combat is only mass combat if players aren't involved? if players are involved they can do whatever they normally can do? or do they have to hit vs +100 defense (AKA impossible) due the other unit's BR?
>>
>>51850387
If players are placed into a unit the DM is basically supposed to zoom in on their scene while they fight.
>>
>>51850361
>Lore master is the worst part of the homebrew. It takes a giant dump on sorcerer players, especially after their UA was one of the worst released.

If wizards aren't better than sorcerers then how will we teach kids that Intelligence is more important in life than Charisma?
>>
Eldritch blast should have been a class feature and invocations that costs a spell slot (like the weapon & smite inv.) should only be used with warlock slots. This fixes the frontloadness
>>
>>51850417
>Intelligence is more important in life than Charisma?
It isn't though
>>
>>51849119
No more math homework : the game
>>
>>51850350
Play Lore Master Wizard or Nuclear Druid then.
>>
>>51850408
...I don't see that as an improvement of what I was normally doing (which was in fact that).
>>
>>51850417
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. Just look at your merikkan president. He is all CHA and no INT.
>>
>>51850350
Nuclear Druid
Flash Tabaxi
>>
>>51850465
I don't agree with trump on anything really, but if you think he wasn't playing 11th Dimensional Chess on Hillary's checker board, you're a moron. Trump is an Evil Genius: He's got +5 in Cha and Int.
>>
>>51850468

>>51850452

I'm interested in Nuclear Druid but I can't find anything on Google

Flash Tabaxi is golden, I may try to pull it off with "just" 10 levels
>>
>>51850520
Arcana cleric 1 (for magic missile)
Twilight Druid the rest.
2 level of fighter for action surge is optional.

Yoy can cast a 5th level magic missile (7 missiles) for 1d4+1+4d10 each.

That is 25.5 damage average per missile or 178.5 damage average.
>>
>>51850465
Just because he acts dump doesn't mean he's dump. Guy is probably smarter than all of us combined
>>
File: tacticalnucleardruid.png (53KB, 1875x631px) Image search: [Google]
tacticalnucleardruid.png
53KB, 1875x631px
>>51850520
>>
>>51850459
Its not. Nobody wanted mass combat rules because its too simple but still gets fucked up, i'd rather homebrew it up. I wanted mystic.
>>
File: 9kwV3.jpg (175KB, 720x706px) Image search: [Google]
9kwV3.jpg
175KB, 720x706px
I want to make an encounter based on pic related. Imagine they're a band of thieves holed up in a hide out with a pile of stolen gold. I'm thinking I could craft some custom npc stats, or reskin pre-existing stat blocks, but I'm curious as to how to fluff Radical Larry's powers, being that he's not a spellcaster, just fucking bad ass. What ideas might you have, 5eg?
>>
Speaking of nuclear druid... doesn't hexblade curse affect all damage roll?

It might be worth grabbing magic missile for warlock/sorcerer?
>>
>>51850350
Hmm, mini-nuclear druid is possible, 5th level magic missile, 1d4+5d10+1 x 7 is pretty neat

Another pretty sick one is is Stonesorc-Hexlock, 7-3 with some sickass greatsword smites, grab GWM with variant human for more sickness.

Third possibility would be either be a lore or bladesinger wizard, no multiclass required.

Actually, I just thought of a new one..? Str-Con bladelock multiclassed to Barbarian? Get a smiting weapon and make some truly brutal criticals. Just ignore Charisma entirely, because Rage disallows spellcasting. Just use the smites on crits, because it doesn't disallow expending spell slots(? Don't quote me on it)
>>
>>51850511
I doubt a person who's borderline illiterate would have an INT score of 20
>>
>>51850640
He speaks in simple ways because it helps on persuasion
>>
>>51850623
Grow up.
>>
>>51850655

this is unfortunately what Trump supporters actually believe
>>
>>51850606
>>51850639
thanks everyone, will look into these!
>>
>>51850680
I'm sorry, but it seems you've forgotten where you are. This is a thread for a game about playing pretend, on a korean cartoon image sharing website
>>
>>51850682
We live in different movies then
>>
>>51850305
I would have accepted "both". That was the point. But sure. I'll call you a moron too.

That's sorcerer, wizard, warlock (fiend) and cleric (light), so you'd have 1 8th, 1 7th, 1 6th, 2 5th, 3 4th, 3 3rd, and 2 3rd that recover on a short rest. As well as 5 sorcery points and 3 spell levels from arcane recovery. That would be 18 fireballs in an average day with an average damage per fireball of 9d6. Progress!

See the difference is that martial upgrades can stack together and are already usable multiple times per day. The caster upgrades are often exclusive and mainly let you do what you already could do more often when you multiclass. The comparison I'd make for the multiclassed spellcaster's table is that martials continue to gain HP.

>features like magical secrets which still let you learn high level spells
Doesn't work that way. Maybe you should go hit the books yourself.
>>
>>51850623
Initiating vibration is an action. When vibrating, he gains resistance to all damage types and move in any direction through any matter, although moving up and down 1 foot costs 2 feet. He can't take any action while he is vibrating except for a bonus action that ends vibration. Once vibration is over, it recharges on a or a 6.
>>
>>51850710
>it's le 4chan so i can shitpost XDDDDD
fuck off.
>>
>>51850710
I think you mean a Cambodian smoke-signal interpreting theater of the mind based hieroglyph wall
>>
I coulda sworn Keep on the Borderlands was remade for 5e. Why can't I find it in the mega unless I'm dumb and just can't find it?
>>
>>51850043
Have the Nothic betray the warlock and give him power in the form of a cursed item.
>>
>>51850751
Hey, this is pretty neat! Thanks!
>>
>>51850798
I'm not shit posting, though. I genuinely want to use this old joke as a basis for an encounter for my group. I want to see how long it takes them to figure out what's going on. DnD is as serious as the individual wants it to be. My group is pretty laid back, and this sort of humor is in line with our typical shenanigans.
>>
>>51850623
Troubles
STR 7
DEX 19
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 12

Saving throws: DEX +8, INT +5
Skills: Stealth +12, Sleight of Hand +12, Deception +9, Acrobatics +12
Sneak attack 5d6
Any attack that hits against a creature that hasn't taken actions this combat automatically crits.

Dirk
STR 15
DEX 16
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 9

Saving Throws: CON +8, STR +6
Skills: Sleight of Hand +7, Athletics +6
Whenever Dirk hits with an unarmed attack on his turn, he can take a bonus action to take one item from that person's body as long as it isn't being held or worn.

Hordor
STR 22
DEX 10
CON 15
INT 6
WIS 10
CHA 7

Saving Throws: DEX +4, STR +10
Skills: Athletics +10
Powerful Build

Tina
STR 8
DEX 13
CON 9
INT 18
WIS 15
CHA 8

Saving Throws: INT +8, WIS +6
Skills: Arcana +8, History +8
Tina is a 10th level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is INT (DC 16, spell atk +8). She knows the following spells:

Cantrips: Control Flames, Mage Hand, Gust, Minor Illusion, Prestigiditation
1st: Shield, Tenser's Floating Disk, Sleep, Silent Image
2nd: Darkness, Enlarge/Reduce, Detect Thoughts, Levitate
3rd: Blink, Fly, Major Image, Slow
4th: Hallucinatory Terrain, Phantasmal Killer, Wall of Fire, Polymorph
5th: Animated Objects, Hold Monster, Modify Memory, Telekinesis
>>
>>51847914

>https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

Why are the redbrand hideout maps so low resolution?
>>
>>51851022

the maps in the roll20 assets are larger
>>
>>51848306
Orcs have been playable since either 1e dragon magazine or 2e book of humanoids (which modified the dmag rules but transplants the gross features table wholesale), retard.

5e gnoll lore> prior edition gnoll lore, especially since they're not suitable as fursonas anymore.
>>
I'm going to be my party's punching bag, and need some help with my character.
PLan is to make a dex based barbarian to stack dex/ con for ac, but loose out on some damage.

Variant human with +1 con/ dex and wondering if I should go for sentinel, defensive duelist or shield master
Fighter 2 for dueling and action surge
Barbarian wolf (if sentinel) or bear, eagle, bear
Using a shield and rapier.

Anything I should change?
>>
would short rest abilities have been better just as per encounter?

no reason not to be able to action surge once per fight.
>>
>>51850872
There's a quick rundown on what beasties you'd use in 5e, yes
>>
>>51851240
Why would you not go with Hill or Mountain Dwarf for either more strength (i.e. more damage) or more hit points?
>>
As a DM, I often feel bad if I don't have a "twist" to whatever I have prepared for my players. For example, if my players are chasing after monsters and then they catch up to the monsters and they fight the monsters.

I mean I try to make it interesting, but I can't help but feel like if my players can reasonably guess what is going to happen, then they'll not have as fun of a time.

Is there anything wrong with presenting straight forward events in D&D?
>>
>>51851019
Holy fuck you just did all my homework for me. Thanks!
>>
>>51850872
Only the Caves Of Chaos got remade for the Next playtest.
Check that section of the mega.
>>
>>51848857
How can you say a lack of out of combat rules are a flaw and that people can't be creative without them?
>>
>>51851368
There ian absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would wager it's probably better that way too, in some cases. Imo it's better than having a "what a tweest!!l moment where your players will squint and go whut every single session. Twists are meant to be special. If you want to have one, have a couple of obscure clues which only diligent players will recognize, or have a seemingly small detail from before come back in a larger way. A good example of the latter would be the poker chip in SKT, if your players had previously visited the Grand Dame
>>
>>51851592
I was spouting the meme dipshit read the whole thread before posting, gives context.
>>
>>51851368

There is nothing wrong to just playing it straight. Unless you're doing a plot-driven adventure where the players' expectations become conditioned to expect twists, there's no harm in just letting players do a straight adventure of saving the poor citizen from the goblin cave.

I see it this way, with the nature of PnP RPGs having the "you can do anything!" emergent gameplay, players (at least in my experience when I DM) tend to not concern themselves that the dungeon they're crawling into will just have the goblin king at the end as expected. They'll be more engrossed in just the amount of options to get to the goblin king exists. Doesn't matter if there's no twist in the end, the fact my players were able to fool the goblin guards to let them in where they were able to get the good graces of the goblin king and slit his throat before the goblin realized it is something they'll feel good about. In fact, that in itself is a twist for them.

So instead of worrying about "how can I wow my players with a twist?" think more of "How can I give my players a space to have fun in within their party's capabilities?" cause as DnD and the dice goes, the story and adventure will unfold itself there.

THAT SAID, it can get tiring if players encounter dungeon crawl and beat the baddie at the end and win the loot. I say at times like those, doesn't hurt to throw a twist in there. Doesn't have to be a deep one too. Like maybe have the goblin king actually be a slave of the hiding gnome warlock who was the quest giver back in the inn. Something like that. In the end, don't complicate shit too much. And of course, if your adventure is plot-driven and set with mystery and perhaps political intrigue, then that's where you have your players conditioned to expect twists and turns every other session as they uncover the secrets of their adventure.
>>
Is 6 players (+ DM) way too many to run Lost Mines?
>>
>>51851596

I ran SKT for two groups last year and I had quite a predicament with the chip and saw two different results. On my first SKT run with the first group who ran it first, I never thought of revealing the chip at the beginning as some sort of foreshadowing and just let the adventure run its course. When it got to the point where the chip was revealed, my players were like "oh, a chip huh" but looking back I felt rather annoyed with myself that that could've been an awesome "Aha!" moment if I revealed the chip earlier. On the second group which I ran the same adventure, I decided to learn from my mistake and let them see the chip earlier. Months later, they ran into the chip and there was this "GOD DAMN! I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING UP IN THAT PLACE!" moment that felt really good to see.
>>
>>51851726

Combat will either be fast or slow unless you do certain measures to speed things up (like using the mob attack rules in the DMG for big fights with goblins and other creatures) like showing initiative order for players and telling them that it's a way for them to plan out their move so when it's their turn, they can act right away.

I've ran a 5-player Lost Mines and it was alright. In fact, it felt more involving and engrossing for everyone cause during tough decisions, it was good drama to see everyone interact. I actually walked in an impulse decision that went "The Black Spider is amongst the townsfolk of Phandalin" which got really claustrophobic for the players and it shit got intense esp with 5 minds on the table thinking stuff out.
>>
>>51851794
Did you feel like you had to beef up the encounters to make it so they weren't total push overs? I feel like 6 players would just completely overrun most of the encounters as written.
>>
>>51851975
I ran a 6 PC LMOP campaign and, yeah, that was a bit of an issue in a couple of the encounters (though mostly the party just had the bard deal with enemies through diplomacy, which avoided that issue neatly).

Adding a few extra goblins or whatever into the fight can rebalance the action economy somewhat.
>>
>>51851975

Believe it or not, a great chunk of the encounters as written felt pretty balanced against my 5 player group. I mean, if you apply the encounter difficulty rules from the DMG, a lot of Lost Mines are "deadly" for a 4 player group esp at the beginning. Though as it went on when the players started hitting their level 3, that's when I started tossing a few goblins and an extra bandit to beef it up.

Venomfang was tough as always. If you're running a 6 man I think adding the cultists would make a challenging encounter.
>>
>>51851794

One thing my DM did was say "anon1 your first up, hey Anon2 your on deck...Anon2 its your turn, Anon3 your on deck" and so on and so forth and that helped people focus and be ready for their turn
>>
>>51851975
This is a really good opportunity to make use of Volo's Guide to Monsters and make the encounters both more challenging and more interesting.

Throw a Nilbog into the Goblin chapter, have a couple of Nutured One bombs in that Orc sidequest, etc.
>>
What Volo's monsters fit well in Curse of Strahd?
>>
What areas does a warlock excel in?
>>
File: smug.jpg (14KB, 325x305px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
14KB, 325x305px
Why is Medicine tied to Wisdom and not Intelligence?
>>
>>51852406
Because you're stopping bleeding and setting bones, not doing brain surgery. Medicine is more or less for triage and common sense first care.
>>
>>51852314

I threw a Flail Snail in Cragmaw Castle.

Fun times.
>>
>>51852369
A day in which you have time for 8 short rests but not one long rest.
In other words, a situation that doesn't exist.
>>
>>51851596
>>51851687
I appreciate the advice guys. I'm actually running SKT right now and I'm basically about to run a session where the players are chasing after giants and are going to catch up to them and fight them.

I'm always thinking that I should be advancing some plot or introducing some idea. So that's a relief that I can just run a game where the players expectations are appropriately met.
>>
>>51852492
You sound bitter about something. I'd prefer a genuine answer.
>>
>>51852368
Vargouilles.
>>
>>51852369

The warlock niche is exploration + lots of low intensity conflicts, very similar to the rogue in role but with wildly different mechanics and flavor (other than they both have a "desperate/dirtbag" feel)
>>
>>51852369
Selling their soul to a devil so he can be a worst Wizard/Sorcerer.

He is great if you wish to roleplay someone who got duped into a shitty deal.
>>
>>51852406
because a skill isnt locked in to the default ability if you aren't playing with retards

hurr my fighter cant intimidate
my 8 int druid knows nothing about nature
>>
>>51852507

SKT is pretty plot driven so I suggest you might want to add some degree of twists on every adventure they run into especially in Chapter 3 where it's very sandbox heavy. I mean, "all about the journey" and all but would be cool if players did this out of the way quest then all of a sudden, the quest actually was connected to the major plot arc. Players love that shit. Don't do it too much though.

But in your case, I think a chase for giants and fighting them sounds exciting. The adventure and action-packed content of that is enough to satisfy. All in all, you just have to keep note of your players' goals and plan out how their encounters will be based on their expectations. Be subtle about it like have an NPC prod them on why they want to do this and that so you can plan accordingly. Reward the player if they think chasing these giants will make them go somewhere. Even if they aren't asking for it,the "wow" factor will eventually roll in naturally.

Like, we decided to chase down these giant and kill them cause hell, they're giants and they need to be kicked. As a party, that's all we're expected to do and it's gonna be fun and action-packed as hell. Little that we know, after killing the giants, we found a note in giant on their person that contains info that's incriminating to the big picture of the plot. We never expected it, we already had fun and got what we wanted with the fight but getting that is just those nice stingers that sets up the next stage.
>>
>>51852369
What >>51852561 said.

Warlocks get good at will effects and some pretty good flavor. they can pull somewhat consistent damage and be a debuffer. They mesh well with short rest dependent martials.
>>
>>51852546
Not him, but dude, the flaws warlocks have are many and well documented. You have to approach the class with open eyes, because it has many extreme design choices.

In particular being so short rest oriented is baffling when the moon druid for example gets almost as much benefit from short rests, but gets TWO doses of wild shape per short rest, meaning he only needs one short rest per two encounters to be at his best, while the warlock really needs one short rest per encounter to be his best.
>>
>>51852369
They are basically ranged martials with a
spellcaster flavour. They can spam Eldritch Blast and are otherwise very limited in terms of spells.
They can have decent RP flavor and hooks due to them signing pacts but most players seem to avoid incorporating that.
>>
>>51848139
Damh. (Pronounced as Dav). He's Master of Revels among the Seelie Court, a demigod of party, wine, and song. Son of Titania and Oberon, though rather than appearing like an elf or faerie, he's more like an oversized satyr.
>>
>>51852707
How fortuitous that I check the thread the moment I get a reply for my obscure question, thank you.
>>
What's the best adventure to lead into after LMoP?

Also, how do you deal with the fact that the party would be roughly level 5 for the adventures that are supposed to range from 1-10/15?
>>
>>51852762

Storm King's Thunder is perfect. They have a section that suggests how to lead LMOP to SKT where you start at chapter 2 (where the assumed party level is at Level 5)

That and it's an excellent adventure to run. If you're still running LMOP, I suggest throwing hints of SKT's conflict here and there during the adventure.
>>
>>51852762
I'm running SKT after LMoP

It was a pretty easy transition, and the party is liking it so far

Although I would suggest running your own adventure. Let your players run free from the railroads for a while. Most of the other published adventures are pretty railroady from what I've read and I guarantee they're probably a little itchy for something different
>>
>>51852754
Glad I could help, anon. Feywild lore has always held my interest (even back when it was just called the Plane of Faerie).
>>
>>51852431
Even if we accept that premise, what would be the most appropriate skill for someone who is performing complex surgery or otherwise creating and prescribing medicine? There isn't any other skill that is more relevant.

>>51852582
If this is the case, then why even have default abilities?

It seems to me like an oversight. The designers had the idea in their head of the cinematic druid with their vast KNOWLEDGE of poisons, herbs, and remedies that it had to be a wisdom thing because that's what druids use. Same thing with clerics, their years in the monastery LEARNING about medicine and being the healers of the group, naturally they should be good at medicine - but it's wisdom because that's what clerics use.
>>
>>51852707
Is hijacking your post for my own purposes to ask you a question

I'm writing my own adventure which would involve some mind flayers tadpoling a powerful fey lord (who then becomes the BBEG). What would be a good minor lord from the Feywild to be a candidate for this?
>>
>>51852795

I think SKT is a great platform. Has the structure to let the DM set up a sandbox for players and let the players do what they want and throw in SKT main plots from time to time and see if they want to pursue. It's a very modular module.
>>
>>51852802
An Intelligence (Medicine) check.
Adding proficiency bonus to checks that use a non-default ability score is RAW.
>>
>>51852831
I agree 100%

I'm actually planning on (Ian if you're reading this stop now) sending my players on a side adventure to find the Ring of Winter. It's because one of the characters came up to the North looking for clues about his apprentice's death. Just a standard backstory but I'm running with it, saying that his apparentice found the Ring's location deep under the Reghed Glacier. There's going to be an ice castle and all sorts of fun stuff. The end result is that his apprentice is still alive and wielding the Ring for himself, and lured his former master North for a fight
>>
>>51848001
I wouldn't sink the levels unless playing past lvl 5 and if it were me I'd go straight paladin with maybe two lvl fighter dip and again I wouldn't make the dip until past l 5
>>
>>51850582
He's a complete and total dumbass, his handlers are the intelligent ones, and you're forgetting that the elections aren't so much a careful weighing of issues where the best man always wins as they are a popularity contest decided by the average dumbass American.

He's not even charismatic. Americans just have negative Wis modifiers.
>>
>>51853007

I heard of a story where the players failed to stop the ring of winter from being used so the entire SKT ended up on a harsh winter. Changed the entire thing upside down in an interesting way. Post apocalyptic and shit. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle such a turn.
>>
>>51853007
Ian here, time for a rewrite, fucko.
>>
>>51853038
That sounds hella interesting but I'm not sure I could handle such a twist either
>>
>>51853054
nice try fuckboy I'm behind 990 plothooks
>>
A lot of people map temples on a plan of a cross, with transepts, naves etc. That's dumb, because it takes Christian symbology and applies it to a world without Christ (most of the time)

What shapes or patterns would D&D temples be built on?
>>
>>51853127
Depends on the religion for which the temple was built
>>
>>51853165
I was asking for examples from any (non-Christian) religion
>>
>>51853127
Depends on the deity I guess. Some of the symbols (like the star-shaped ones) could be easily used as the floor plan for a temple.
>>
>>51848996
Okay, points for knowing Gruyere off the cuff like that. Most people know cheddar, swiss, and at most gouda.
>>
>>51853127
Look in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There's a huge section on religions and it shows all of the symbols to each deity.
>>
Is there any creatures that use the "Damage Threshold" Boats use in the DMG?
>>
Asked this in its own thread the other day, which was probably a poor call:

The game I'm running has kind of settled into a generic, formulaic monster of the week sort of thing. My players are all monster races, and are essentially hunting after a lich and a barghest while traveling a road. One of my players is a skeleton, and is slowly uncovering his backstory as a former noble who was assassinated by a cult of Vecna, sponsored by a rival house. There's also a middling antagonist in the form of a newly-founded empire of humans they're travelling through, who are very Humans First for reasons not yet explored.

I need to shake it up, and I'm running low on ideas. What curveball would you guys throw into that mix?
>>
>>51852653
>I need two fireballs every encounter

Also, wild shape is only amazing for moon druids and at 10, elemental shape takes both uses at once. I don't believe you've actually thought this comparison through.
>>
Eberronfags: If you were going to put the Mark of Death back into the world, what race would you put it on and what powers would you give it?
>>
>>51853358
Anon, you know you're talking to people who will never see Elemental Wild Shape when they make that argument. It's going to end in "people are done with their characters before then."
>>
>>51853204
Flower of Life patterns are found in a lot of religious symbology, micro representations of of the world (assuming it's not a typical planetary sphere, basic geometric shapes within shapes, all the typical stuff.

Really just about anything that isn't a crucifix.
>>
So it's probably a dumb question, but I've never played DnD before and have been asked to GM by some friends. I know they like their roleplay, so they try to do everything in first person. But they also lose interest and it drags on a bit.

Is it acceptable to cut events? Instead of a Paladin's mentor saying
>"Blah blah blah, you guys didn't follow the rules, blah blah blah people like you are bringing this organization down, blah blah blah, conversation conversation conversation"

Is it fair to summarize it as
>"He angrily lectures you on the rules for a few minutes before having his guards unceremoniously throw you out of the temple."
>>
>>51853127
Crosses were used for religious significance well before Christianity, retard.
>>
>>51853337
>My players are all monster races
Ugh.
>One of my players is a skeleton,
couldn't read on from there.
>>
>>51853399
Try doing it for a few sessions to see if it works.
>>
>>51853381
>No one ever reaches level 10.
Someday we'll be talking about the storied days when games went to level 7.

E6 already exists.
>>
>>51853399
Of course. Brevity is important in games like DnD. Imagine if your players tried to role play ordering every single meal they've ever had at a tavern, or enforcing "dietary functions" for your PCs lest they get constipated

Ultimately it's up to you how you want to handle situations. I generally go by "how important is this conversation". If it's simple, do a quick n dirty. If it's something important, try to act it out in character
>>
>>51852653
>You have to approach the class with open eyes, because it has many extreme design choices.

While the class has its flaws, I think this is the appropriate way to look at it.

A lot of people play warlock because they want a wizard, but EDGIER. Which can be what the warlock is thematically, but not in practice.

In crunch, a warlock is very much a person scrapping together power by either bargaining or channeling directly from a much greater entity. That's why they only have the two spell slots till level 11, coming back every short rest, because it represents power they've borrowed and, while potent, they are only given so much of it.

Basically, warlock's a cool class, I like warlocks, but I think most of the "problems" people have with them are the people not knowing what they're getting into.
>>
>>51853337
Double down on the Humans First thing. A nation full of Zarus followers. Everywhere the party goes, they're challenged by humans to partake in various competitions to show which race is boss.
>>
>>51853399
>>"He angrily lectures you on the rules for a few minutes before having his guards unceremoniously throw you out of the temple."

Try "he angrily lectures you on the rules for a few minutes," then pause in case the players want to react. If they don't, "he summons the guards and commands them to throw you out," and give them a chance to comply, resist, or something else.
>>
>>51853358
yeah that average of 21 damage sure can wipe out whole enemy encounters all the time

IN AD&D
>>
City guard campaign ideas?
>>
>>51853445
It's really amazing how many assumptions people have based on low-level play that totally fall apart at high levels.

Warlocks get good, druids fall off, monks have to try to run out of ki, etc.
>>
File: 1379520578766.png (153KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
1379520578766.png
153KB, 405x405px
>>51853434
Not that guy, but the really ancient uses were usually a "+" or "x" style cross and not the Christian long vertical cut by a short horizontal nearer the top, or typical "crucifix" style cross.

Which is what he's referring to. That particular symbol was used heavily only by Christianity.

Also, read the Stickied mod thread, and try not to reflexively be a cunt around /tg/.
>>
>>51852829
I'd suggest, depending on what level you expect the campaign to end at, either the Knight of the Well, Prince Hyrsam, or Green Lord Oberon himself, in ascending levels of power.
>>
>>51853477
>GURPS general
GURPS has Discworld special rules
>>
>>51853467
>I have to kill every enemy by myself.
>Because I'm always alone.
>>
>>51853507
>those feels
>>
>>51853438
I'll give it a shot at the session tonight.

>>51853448
That would be horrible, but I hadn't thought of it that way for some reason.

>>51853451
Yeah, it's good to give choices. Thanks for the idea.
>>
>>51853467
28 damage on average if you're talking about fireball.
>>
>>51853485
As a long-time DM who's reached the teens in character levels a few times, looking forward to it in 5e. Missed all of 4e with a long sabbatical from the game, but my 5e group (we are all around 30 except for myself) has a very stable schedule that allows consistent play. Close to 7th level now, no end in sight.
>>
>>51853536
factoring in saving throws
>>
>>51853477
Busting Illegal smuggling rings, going undercover in groups of criminals, dealing with noise complaints from a wizard's neighbors, cracking down on illegal planar immigrants, confiscating dangerous magic scrolls, etc.

Take "Police Game" and add "Fantasy" to it and everything about it becomes more interesting.
>>
>>51853364
In theory, all dragonmarks might have started like any of the many Aberrant marks, and simply been passed down and bred into the massive trade empires that now strange any rising threats to their monopoly. If the Death mark were to reoccur, it would likely be a singular aberrant mark, and they'd have both the Houses and Vol herself committing to destroying them.
Of course, dust-to-dust, it'd have to be on another elf (or half-elf) I wager.
>>
File: askew_by_wildweasel339-d6skpzc.jpg (144KB, 1024x541px) Image search: [Google]
askew_by_wildweasel339-d6skpzc.jpg
144KB, 1024x541px
>>51853435
>people are having fun I don't like!

This must be hard for you.

>>51853450
I like the idea of roping Zarus into it, I've always wanted to use him eventually.

The players have had a handful of encounters will a paladin of Pelor who hails from the Humans First nation, and they've barely managed (through insanely lucky Charisma rolls and planning) to not have her murder them outright. She's become kind of a reoccurring oh-shit-hide-the-bodies sort of NPC, and the players have taken an odd kind of paranoid shine to her.

It'd be great to have the nation force her to take up the banner of Zarus, and to have the players watch their paladin not-friend forced to begrudgingly toe the line between the state religion and her own, especially as that pertains to her murdering them.
>>
>>51853488
On a conjecture note, assuming you're not doing your typical high fantasy "the good guys are nice all the time and don't do anything bad at all" the crucifix style cross could be repurposed as a symbol of state authority, a suggestion of what happens if you defy the state.

Also slaves need to be a more common thing in D&D settings. It's a virtually ubiquitous institution historically.
>>
>>51853539
They're fun levels. The only thing I don't like about higher levels is the gap that forms between proficient and non-proficient saves unless you're a monk or paladin. I encourage people to get Resilient for dex, con, or wis so they have 2 of the big 3 covered at least.
>>
Boys, how do we make Necromancy good?
>>
>>51853490
Tell me of Prince Hyrsam

Or tell me where to go so I can read about it
>>
File: pelorzarus.png (322KB, 1003x3232px) Image search: [Google]
pelorzarus.png
322KB, 1003x3232px
>>51853582
But anon, Pelor IS Zarus
>>
>>51853625

When you raise skeles, you can raise 1 super skele instead of 2 regular skeles.

Super skeles throw fireballs, or fight with armor and martial weapons, or other cool shit.
>>
>>51853625
Can't be done, it's inherently evil.
>>
>>51853582
Eh, I can like it or not, I just can't offer advice on your snowflake character campaign (and really it sounds a hell of a lot like the Wizard of Oz).

What caused all your ideas to dry up into Monster of the Week? Was everyone too busy being "unique and exciting" to consider having a linked group dynamic or compatible goals? So they have zero motivation except to "kill that one guy we aren't strong enough to kill yet"?
Does your world not offer a variety of challenges and aspirations for a wandering group of eclectic monster hobos?

Maybe you should just steal from the Wizard of Oz novels.
Sorry if I sound negative, but it seems like you and your players just came up with some superficially "clever" character concepts, threw in Vecna and that's about it.
>>
>>51853625
I don't know. I'm trying to think of a better way for a 5th level wizard to do 4d6+20 damage every turn in addition to being able to cast spells. Maybe if we make them masters of lore?
>>
I need some help coming up with 6 things a Red Dragon might do if his sleep is disturbed (but not woken up). So far I got three and I need three more

- The dragon tosses and turns but does nothing
- The dragon snorts out a toxic cloud of smoke towards the players as if casting the Stinking Cloud spell
- The dragon kicks around on his pile of gold, knocking some coins and trinkets away from his horde
>>
>>51853676
Not what I meant friend.
>>
>>51853578
I liked the idea that because the (living) line of Vol was completely wiped out and the marks are tied to the draconic prophecy, that there's a chance the mark could manifest on some other race than the elves. It would be neat to have some upstart race start manifesting marks.
>>
>>51853689
He farts.
It's like an upcast Burning Hands
>>
>>51853689
it's hoard, fyi.
horde is a large teeming mass of individuals, usually engaged in a single purpose.
>>
>>51853697
All evil player options have to be garbage. See circle of death and Abi Dalzim's horrid wilting.
>>
>>51853685
6th level, not 5th
>>
>>51853738
It dovetails well with the fact that players who want to play Evil are universally garbage.
>>
File: pre christian crosses.jpg (390KB, 754x945px) Image search: [Google]
pre christian crosses.jpg
390KB, 754x945px
>>51853488

>really ancient uses

Well sure, the crosses associated with religion in fantasy settings are generally whichever are most contemporary with the perceived time period (so ankhs for truly primitive ones, typical crucifix ones for more modern ones), which makes sense. Plus religion in D&D is more like Christianity, and Nega Christianity, than paganism (even in polytheistic settings, the game hammers you over the head with having a patron deity that you should supposedly emulate).

Just compromise and use something that looks uncomfortably like a swastika

>Also, read the Stickied mod thread

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>51853689

The dragon instinctively reaches into his pile of gold and drags a huge heap of it close to his body, sweeping up a party member as he does so and trapping the party member in his embrace
>>
>>51853754
>>51853685
Also a 6th level wizard would have 12 skeletons, dealing 12d6+30 damage every turn. He can still cast other spells and cantrips no problem.
>>
>>51850723
You... you do realize fireball deals damage in an AoE, correct? That against standard encounter design it's far more damaging than any feature a martial gets because of that? You also realize that you don't have to "learn" fireball multiple times, so you can take caster classes without access to it. You realize this right?

>magical secrets
Magical secrets only has one requirement: It has to be a spell you can cast. When you multiclass, you use the multiclass spellcasting table to figure that out. If you take lore bard as one of your four full caster multiclasses, then at your 6th lore bard level (which can be level 17 if you want), you can choose any two spells in the game, including 9th level spells, because the multiclass spellcasting table has given you 9th level slots.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>51853771
>Plus religion in D&D is more like Christianity, and Nega Christianity, than paganism
>>
>>51853738
Before anyone brings up oath of treachery: it's UA, and will have to be nerfed to complete shit before release. As for oathbreaker it's not a proper player option because RAW, only a DM can hand it out.
>>
File: anna-shulgina-.jpg (455KB, 1000x741px) Image search: [Google]
anna-shulgina-.jpg
455KB, 1000x741px
>>51853655
Now THAT would be a fun theological angle to explore.

I imagine the Zarus clerics in the empire would preach that like the gospel truth, that Zarus is a more original, pure form of Pelor. Y'know, standard Nazi bullshit.

And then have the character's minds blown when the Zarus clerics turn out to be right. Pelor perhaps was trying to move beyond what he saw as a regrettable past, but some of his followers just wouldn't have it that way.

>>51853678
Honestly it's a combination of me being both rusty and burned out. I've handled snowflake campaigns before, and this is far from the worst I've seen.

I haven't DMed for a while, and I've lost some of my steam. I wanted to get back into the swing of it, and starting simple seemed to be the way to do that. Now, I just need some ideas for how to transition beyond simple.

Really, the monster races are an excuse to try out Volo's, which we've found out has its ups and downs. Aside from the skeleton, of course, but that fit well with the rest of the characters so it made sense.
>>
File: Magic.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Magic.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>51853625

You let the Bard do it.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqfBEX6QtE
>>
>>51853817
>then at your 6th lore bard level (which can be level 17 if you want), you can choose any two spells in the game, including 9th level spells, because the multiclass spellcasting table has given you 9th level slots.

That's actually wrong, because the multiclassing rules only allow you to consider your 6 bard levels for the purpose of spells you can learn. Sure you have the slots, but you can't choose to learn spells higher level than what a 6th level bard could learn, which is 3rd.
>>
>>51853640
Prince Hyrsam is sort of another aspect of Damh, but of course this being Fey nature, he is manifest unto himself. Hyrsam is the Prince of Fools, and is Lord of Satyrs, but make no mistake, he's not a simpleton by any means. He is a beguiling and charming Hero of the Feywild, leader of rebels and revolutionaries against the Fomorian tyrants who encroach of Fey territory. Secretly though, Hyrsam seeks to return all the Feywild to its pristine, Primal state, before the rise of any kingdoms; though this goal comes second to any task assigned him by the Seelie court.
>>
>>51853817
Are you sure about that magical secrets reading? It says the spells you learn need to be "of a level you can cast". You might have 9th level slots, but you would only be able to cast 3rd level spells.
>>
>>51853823
He's not wrong. The fundamental morals of D&D are very much Judeo-Christian; good as it is understood in D&D is absolutely Judeo-Christian, so even polytheistic gods of D&D will still be stuck in the ideas of good and evil as reflected through a Christian lens.

Consider every D&D take on the various pagan gods and how they'll typically gloss over the shit that even the "good" gods of a pantheon do that distinctly does not fit D&D good.

This is also setting aside that the cleric is based on a Judeo-Christian battle-priest concept at its core, and borrows copious miracles from the Bible.
>>
>>51853858
Incorrect. The multiclassing rules apply to the spellcasting feature only, not additional features like magical secrets.

>>51853870
If you have 9th level spell slots, you can cast 9th level spells.
>>
>>51853898
Did you overlook the "as shown on the Bard table" section of Magical Secrets?
>>
File: Thundarr.jpg (21KB, 288x225px) Image search: [Google]
Thundarr.jpg
21KB, 288x225px
>>51853832
The main issue seems to be that you started out a campaign you wanted to run a good distance, with no initial inspiration other than "trying out monster races in Volo's".

Now me, If I had wanted a bunch of weird PC's running about, I would have ran something like the cartoon Thundarr the Barbarian, with a bunch of rival Wizard Lords, Mutant, Robo-Priests and the lot, all vying for domination and perhaps some rare and precious resource, with the characters getting initially thrown into violence instigated by their scheming but later actively recruited at by several factions who want said resource, when the party is more powerful and successful.

That's just off the top of my head.
You went with traipsing through the wilderness as random monster book characters. Some ideas just peter out.
>>
>>51853777
>>51853723

Just one more
>>
>>51853940
The dragon rolls over, potentially crushing people.
>>
>>51853587
>the gap that forms between proficient and non-proficient saves
It's really similar to what happens with AC against to-hit bonuses unless you have a powerful stack of magic items to boost it.
>>
>>51853919
No, I ignored it deliberately, because it doesn't apply to multiclassing. When you multiclass, you can cast higher level spells than that shown on the bard table, that phrase therefore makes no sense and is just a case of bad editing.
>>
File: improvised weapon.png (534KB, 644x380px) Image search: [Google]
improvised weapon.png
534KB, 644x380px
Question: Bearing in mind the related image, would you allow a warlock to use a rod implement as a club (or a mace, if I'm lucky)? I like the idea of bashing in skulls with my casting implement until blade pact kicks in.
>>
>>51853975
Not really. AC barely scales past about CR 4, and you often use lots of lower CR monsters against higher level groups.
>>
>>51853986
>Doesn't apply to multiclassing
Yes, it does. It's part of the wording of the feature, because the intent is explicitly to prevent the shit you're trying to do.
>>
>>51853842
Patrician taste, anon.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 07b.jpg (609KB, 1280x2008px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 07b.jpg
609KB, 1280x2008px
>>51853891
>This is also setting aside that the cleric is based on a Judeo-Christian battle-priest concept at its core, and borrows copious miracles from the Bible.
This is no longer true of 5e Clerics, one, and it's worth noting that the majority of the Christian miracles were lifted from early pagan religions in the first place.
Christianity as a whole is a massive work of plaigarism that only starts becoming semi-original because the Messiah figure is meek, non-violent and gets his ass kicked.

Yes, the earlier editions of D&D shoehorned Clerics into a priest-militant-crusader archetype, but this isn't a D&D general, it's a 5e general and that's irrelevant.
>>
>>51853337
Find a Marut that was recently BTFO by the Lich, who gives some piece of advice or an item that helps in the hunt, before going back to Mechanus for repairs
Have they bump into one of the skelly's descendants, maybe make him a recurring NPC - bonus points if they're unaware of it
Deal with a goblin tribe which was fucked up by the barghest

>>51853940
You're really gonna use the fart? Feels good man.
>>
>>51853986
>Literally admitting to deliberately ignoring rules to suit your powergaming.

I'm so tired of you idiots.
>>
>>51853986
>I ignored it deliberately
Lol show me where multiclass rules say you can arbitrarily ignore rule text.
>>
File: bleep wageslave.png (359KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
bleep wageslave.png
359KB, 900x900px
>>51853585
Players shit their brains out when slavery is mentioned so I HEAVILY encourage using almost any euphemism for the word "slave" to keep players from spazzing out.

Actually, I really really REALLY like this idea, of having paladins etc. use crosses, but its a symbol of Law (and specifically the ferocious kind of Law that the community uses to punish murderers etc).

Plus ancient Rome is the perfect model for an ideal D&D culture to use (using both the standing armies of lowborn we're used to, and knight analogs that get paid in truly absurd amounts of gold, D&D style)
>>
>>51854017
Look, you can remove your fedora. Nobody here is claiming that Judaism and Christianity weren't products of history, just that clerics were strongly based in Judeo-Christian ideas.

Also that doesn't change the fact that D&D morality is still fundamentally based in Judeo-Christian morality, and is very much unlike that of the European paganisms that are drawn from as inspiration for D&D pantheons.
>>
>>51854019

It's for a casual group I'm running and the central theme for this adventure is comedy so farts work just fine
>>
>>51854008
I don't think you get it. The multiclassing spell table effectively replaces the bard table for purposes of determining what you can cast.
>>
>>51854062
The multiclass rules don't say that.
>>
>>51854026
Indentured servitude is basically tamer slavery, so that's an option. In debt to someone? Citizen of a conquered land? Spend a few years in servitude to the person you owe/your conqueror/etc. and your debt is paid and you become a full citizen.
>>
>>51854026
>Players shit their brains out when slavery is mentioned so I HEAVILY encourage using almost any euphemism for the word "slave" to keep players from spazzing out.

I wish this weren't the case. I hate having to dial back my empires in settings.

Also I've long been of the opinion that D&D works better if you assume it's somewhere in the high classical period rather than medieval.
>>
>>51854062
But the magical secrets feature works off the bard table alone because that's what it explicitly says.
>>
>>51853891
>>51854017
I don't even mean just the "good" religions but also the "evil" religions. IMO, clerics of evil gods could quite presumably be perfectly nice people, they just believe its absolutely essential to appease them and not invoke their dread wrath, but the standard in D&D is almost universally that an evil or CN cleric is, seriously, a Bizarro Christian.

"Yea verily, let Jackfuckius, the Patron God of shanking people in alleyways and running out of resturants without paying into your heart, and emulate his example, and he will save you from the Wall of Torment."

WHY IS HAVING A SINGLE PATRON DEITY EVEN THE NORM QRATGYIGRLATGLN
>>
>>51854026
>not making the 'good guys' backwards bumpkins living in shacks with moral superiority, while the evil Drow build empires on the backs of slaves
>>
File: mystic_Forest_by_peterconcept.jpg (274KB, 560x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mystic_Forest_by_peterconcept.jpg
274KB, 560x1000px
>>51853920
Yeah, that's fair.

The players like their characters, though, and the campaign seems pretty salvageable. I've had to pull the plug on games before, and that's not what this feels like.

There's definitely something that can be done here to add some spice. If that doesn't work, no shame in letting a game die.

>>51854019
>Find a Marut that was recently BTFO by the Lich, who gives some piece of advice or an item that helps in the hunt, before going back to Mechanus for repairs

Planar shit is definitely something I'm considering. I'm thinking on leaning more in the demon-ward direction because of the barghest, as that'd make his role more central to the cosmology.

>Have they bump into one of the skelly's descendants, maybe make him a recurring NPC - bonus points if they're unaware of it

Definitely already doing this. That's why I'm keeping their paladin not-friend around.

>Deal with a goblin tribe which was fucked up by the barghest

Also not a bad call. One of the players is from such a goblin tribe, it'd be funny to have the barghest use another tribe of goblins against the party, in an attempt to capture the party's goblins and eventually consume them all.
>>
>>51853817
You mean there's better things to do with your class levels than go for extra attack 4 times? I never would have guessed from how much people complain about Extra Attack not stacking.

>then at your 6th lore bard level (which can be level 17 if you want), you can choose any two spells in the game, including 9th level spells, because the multiclass spellcasting table has given you 9th level slots.
That is not how learning spells as a multiclassed spellcaster works. Explicitly.
>>
>>51854082
The multiclassing table is the bard table. This isn't hard anon.
>>
>>51853861
Interdasting

My idea for the overall adventure is that the mind flayers tadpoled him either with his consent or otherwise. They're using the Feywild as a way to sort of gain time lost, and Hyrsam would be used to maintain the portal between their underdark lair and the Fey. Inside, the elder Brain would be working to create monstrous new weapons. Since time is dilated across the realms, one day on the material plane is like a year in the Feywild. The ilithids are using this to their advantage to research faster such. Hyrsam would betray the Elder Brain, destroying it for power right as the adventurers enter the elder brain's lair. Cue boss fight between adventurers and a severely mutated Hyrsam. I also have plans for alternate means of entering the Feywild, such as by Circle Druids discovering something amiss (but not knowing what) and an alliance with drow should they try to get there via the underdark
>>
>>51853826
Its a player option as much as multiclassing is. Its a player option first, and option for antagonists second, as even say blackguards and death knights never use oathbreaker shit.
>>
What is the mariner fighting style? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>51854005
I'm talking about player AC, anon.
>>
>>51854094
Yeah, the better things to do are multiclassing Casters. Always. If extra attack stacked, this wouldn't be as much of an issue, and this edition would be far less of a caster's edition. Try to keep up, that was the original fucking point.
>>
>>51854085
>WHY IS HAVING A SINGLE PATRON DEITY EVEN THE NORM QRATGYIGRLATGLN

This one might actually fall to Michael Moorcock, since Elric's patron is specifically Arioch. But that's also a bit different than how it is in D&D, since his arrangement is more like how Warlocks are now, rather than "accept Torm into your heart and be saved!" thing it is in D&D.
>>
>>51853738
>>51853625
>>51853826
In absolutely no way is the necromancer substandard.

It even gets a Create Thrall effect that works and can get you a nice, Legendary, Mummy FUCKIN PRIEST!
>>
>>51854153
>>51854085
Also Conan and his faith in Crom, though that is again different because Conan just respect's Crom as his creator (also uses his name as an expletive) and doesn't expect fuck-all out him.
>>
>>51854119
Well yeah that barely scales up, but it doesn't need to scale up that much unless you only ever do fights with things that are closer to CR 20 than 10.
>>
File: warlockclubs.png (2MB, 2336x692px) Image search: [Google]
warlockclubs.png
2MB, 2336x692px
>>51854000
Beating people with rods-as-clubs is pretty much what every Warlock gets up to in official art.
>>
>>51854044
I'm pretty sure the original point was that even though there's a pantheon of gods, you're encouraged to pick one god to be "besties" with and emulate while deriding all the lesser gods. Especially in FR.

I suppose you can make it about moral parallels, but I know there's a big thing about how they're worshiped.
>>
>>51854098
Please reference a page that says it works this way. Inside your head isn't official.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 08-09b.jpg (1MB, 2560x1967px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 08-09b.jpg
1MB, 2560x1967px
>>51854044
>Look, you can remove your fedora.
Look, stop being a faggot.
>just that clerics were strongly based in Judeo-Christian ideas.
WERE, yes. I don't argue that fact. Do you play 5e? they aren't shoehorned into that at all, in fact you have take a specific archetype of Cleric to effectively simulate that old Cleric trope.

>Also that doesn't change the fact that D&D morality is still fundamentally based in Judeo-Christian morality
D&D morality is based on a silly Alignment Wheel that a neckbeard came up with in the 60's (which I don't use). D&D doesn't explicitly try to get you to play Judeo Christian morality, though some setting might be seen that way.

Generally, non-specific settings try to crib from every possible source and mash them together in an incoherent mess where every slightly different race has to have a completely different pantheon til the whole thing is retarded.
Take the classic Elves and Dwarves. All they had to deal with were the Aesir and the Vanir, not a bunch of Dark Elf/High Elf/Dwarven/Druegar ect Gods.

Again, D&D is only wannabe Christian if you want to run it that way.
>>
>>51854098
The text mentions the bard table, not whatever table you currently have from multiclassing. This was likely done to avoid multiclassing shenanigans. Your dumb shit doesn't work by RAW or RAI.
>>
>>51854193
Good lord I forgot how edgy the 3.5 warlock iconic was.
>>
>>51854234
Wish I could find the third picture of him. He gets progressively swaggier and high-leveled, as indicated by the ornateness of his rods and maces, as the book progresses.
>>
>>51854074
>>51854077
I'm not saying don't have slavery, I'm just saying that if you call it literally anything but slavery (or perhaps things that sound eviller and spookier than slavery like THRALLDOM) players won't make the connection strongly enough to have the PCs drop what they're doing and try to free everybody.
>>
>>51854193
God 3.5 had shit art.
>>
>>51854243
You know who has relatively little art, the 3.5 Iconic Hexblade. I think he shows up in Complete Warrior and then maybe in Draconomicon.
>>
>>51854153
>This one might actually fall to Michael Moorcock, since Elric's patron is specifically Arioch.
Elric doesn't worship Arioch in the slightest. He's just a powerful multidimensional entity that is somewhat inclined to assist him based on ancient pacts with his race (and Arioch is a bit fond of him). The Elemental Lords and the Beast Lords do the same sort of thing for Elric, and he doesn't worship them either.
Arioch is closer to a Warlock pact with Elric than being Elric's "faith".
>>
>>51854234
If your Warlock doesn't have a van dyke mustache-goatee you're playing the class wrong, IMO
>>
>>51854178
Most people Howard describes in Conan believe that multiple gods exist, but beyond that fall into one of two categories:

A) Declining to worship any of them, either through not seeing the point or through outright nihilism.

B) Worshiping a specific god above all others, recognizing that anything good in their life is due to that god's dogma.

For Conan himself, that dogma is self-reliance. For others, adherence to ritual or a sort of furtive, thieves' superstition fills that role.

Basically, everyone in Hyboria including Conan is a polytheist, but either worships directly one or no gods.
>>
File: 1470293074841.jpg (53KB, 638x476px) Image search: [Google]
1470293074841.jpg
53KB, 638x476px
>>51854204
He can't, because it doesn't.
>>
File: 3.5 hexblade.png (831KB, 636x890px) Image search: [Google]
3.5 hexblade.png
831KB, 636x890px
>>51854266
He was also in PHB2.
>>
>>51854294
I know, but his justifications amuse me.
>>
>>51854098
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/21/pal6lorebard6-additional-magical-secrets/
You determine the spells you know and prepare on a class by class basis. You can not know 4th level spells at level 6. You can not prepare 4th level spells at level 6. You can ~cast~ a spell at level 4 by virtue of upcasting a lower level spell, since casting a spell isn't subject to the Spells Known and Prepared rule on PHB 164.
>>
>>51854295
Y'know, there might be a reason Kiss-fan-with-a-mullet got little official art.
>>
>>51854295
What, is he planning to join KISS? The fuck is with those eyes?
>>
>>51854153
>>51854178
Makes sense.

More I was bitching about how especially FR throws a veneer of "make a prayer to Umberlee even if you're LG and normally worship Bahamut" on top of a system in which you still only get saved from Da Wall by your one deity liking you enough and anyone who's important enough to their god to get spells, afaik, just worships one exclusively, or occasionally two or three worshiped as one.
>>
>>51854323
>>51854326
This is funny to me.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 10.jpg (774KB, 1280x1988px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 10.jpg
774KB, 1280x1988px
>>51854287
Mainly you have people who pray to whatever specific God they view as the patron of their regular pursuits (Conan worships a warrior god of Strength and not the Goddess of Agriculture because he's not from a farming tradition) and then you have the Cultist types who are worshiping a specific God/Demon hard because they want specific supernatural rewards on Earth. Which is where you get guys like movie Thulsa Doom, who is more a Warlock than a priest. He's just throwing virgins at snakes and selling "kill your parents" so he can continue to be an immortal with supernatural powers.
>>
>>51854287
That's also very similar to the faith scape described in the bible, and ancient history: People believe the gods of other cultures exist, but those gods might be inferior to your own (especially if you beat their civilizations in a fight), and your gods might be jealous.

>>51854315
Huh. Crawford gave a ruling that actually works against a caster for once. I guess it is technically multiclassing into something other than wizard, so that's probably why.
>>
>>51854122
The original point was stupid. Still is. You can multiclass martial types. You get features that stack together on your primary action on your turn.

Look, Fireball for 8d6 is great when the martial attacks twice for about 20-28 damage total at level 5. Fireball for 9d6 isn't so impressive when the martial attacks two-six times for about 40-60 damage total at level 20. When your super special finishing move isn't so special anymore, you have to be able to use it more often to keep balanced.
>>
>>51854017
source on comic?
>>
>>51854190
And your saving throws are the same way.
>>
>>51854267
He prays to him quite reflexively, there are more than a evil gods that are also warlock patrons, and Elric could be used as inspiration for quite a few different kinds of warlock pacts (his pacts are almost like prepared spells in some cases)
>>
>>51854085
Hello, I have a doctorate in Comparative Fantasy Religion.

Clerics of evil religions seldom attempt to lure more followers to joining the clergy or worshipping their God proper. As most Evil domains are relatively socially untenable, they must resort to subtler tactics and pursue the other path of empowering their God: that of promoting that God's ideals and domain.

A cleric of a Murder God doesn't go around saying, "Worship the Murder God." He engineers events and social situations which drive otherwise decent or scummy-but-not-murderous townsfolk to want to murder others or at least hire murderers. Once they've done that, and if they are not sufficiently repentent or abhored with themselves, the Cleric will further tinker with situations so as to reveal how wonderfully murder worked out. Perhaps murder can be your solution to other problems? You like that peasant girl, but she's smitten with the blacksmith's son... suppose he just gets murdered. Your taxes are too high... suppose someone murders the tax collector. Someone opened a coster across the street from yours... suppose everyone working there was simply murdered. Wouldn't your life be so much better if everyone who wronged your or stood in your way was murdered?

Then, much later, once you have won a convert to the Path of Murder, you can introduce them to the GOD of Murder and get a real religious convert. Murder can not only improve your life, but the God of Murder can reward you even further! Swell deal.

People in Forgotten Realms also aren't religious towards just a single deity. They will worship a variety of Gods, even showing respect and making offerings and prayers to Evil ones if they are Good, so as to avoid invoking their wrath. But they retain that one God they are dedicated to above others.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 11.jpg (656KB, 1280x1990px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 11.jpg
656KB, 1280x1990px
>>51854366
Yes.
If Dungeons and Dragons faith was anything resembling Christianity, all other faiths would be seen as an implicit threat/heresy.
It doesn't coexist peacefully with non-Abrahamic faiths, and it only coexists with other Abrahamic faiths when it lacks the strength or freedom to kick their heads in.
>>
>>51854420
Cool! I have one in Hypothetical Egyptian Skater Culture.
I'm 300k in debt
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 01.jpg (668KB, 1280x1970px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 01.jpg
668KB, 1280x1970px
>>51854379
A series written by the Wachowsky creatures (of Matrix Fame) and never completed.
>>
File: oseberg_buddha.jpg (11KB, 170x227px) Image search: [Google]
oseberg_buddha.jpg
11KB, 170x227px
>>51854017
>Christianity as a whole is a massive work of plaigarism that only starts becoming semi-original because the Messiah figure is meek, non-violent and gets his ass kicked.

The Buddha would like to have a word with you.

Buddhism got around a lot more than people initially suspected. Pic related, for example, is a Norse Buddha figure.
>>
>>51848506
It'll be fine. It actually looks very, Very similiar to my buddies work for 4th edition. He had published some mass combat rules which worked very nicely on troll in the corner, a ways back.

He was invited to publish in dragon but there was a management change and they forgot about him. He had sent in some stuff though.

Imma ask him about it.
>>
>>51854017
>>51854364
This comic, while slightly amusing, annoys me with it's portrayal of deities other than Yahweh as sophistocated, beneficient, and mature.
>>
Does anyone have or know of a good "viking" dungeon? Northen at any rate. Hell i would be happy with celtic?

Anyone have a good one? Preferably 5e but I will take anything at this point, I am running tomorrow.
>>
>>51854202
Yeah, my point is that most D&D setting's religions may feel "cringy" because of how similar many LG type religions are to some paint by numbers European Christianity clone, but it veers off from cringy and into the realm of the bizarre where divine casters base their morality off almost every single fuckin god and emulating them and in FR get saved from torture by doing so.

And while Christianity has a laundry list of issues, most people generally acknowledge that there's some vague notion that its about trying to teach acceptable morals to a community (even if you disagree), whereas its hard to think of many people purposefully encouraging others to emulate the moral teachings of "God Of Sneaking Around And Shanking People In The Back And Taking Their Shit #125."

Then again, I guess the thuggee of Kali are sort of similar, but what do I know.
>>
>>51854432
*tips*
>>
>>51854404
>He prays to him quite reflexively,
Yes because
A. Arioch is powerful
B. He's prone to helping when Mayhem is on the table. He'll help when there's blood to be had.
C. Black Magicians in his society have made pacts with him.

His relationship with Arioch is "Lend me some power and assistance and I'll feed you some souls".
>>
>>51854455
>creatures
Are you bothered anon?
>>
>>51854371
Again, fireball isn't just 9d6. It's 2-5x(9d6). If it would be just 9d6, you can use your excellent multiclassing spell slots to cast hold person a lot of times, and the martials can thank you for your massive contribution to their DPS.
>>
>>51854471
Holy fuck was i wrong.

He want some NOTHING to do with these mechanics and already tore it apart. jesus.
>>
>>51854487
Hey now. The Namless 13th, the Crooked Warden, the God of Stealing shit from rich people is all about teaching people responsible money security practices, and counteracting inflation.
>>
>>51854420

Oh hey look, it's the alt-right playbook.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 12.jpg (695KB, 1280x2014px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 12.jpg
695KB, 1280x2014px
>>51854462
Buddha isn't selling "Turn the other Cheek" or "Love thy Brother".
It's selling "The physical world is an illusionary torture ground/survival test, and when you've gone through the grinder enough, you get to ascend to perfect spiritual peace".
Buddha isn't a pacifist as much as a "none of this shit on Earth really matters, just your ability to cope with it" sorta guy.
>>
>>51854473
>sophistocated, beneficient, and mature.
It simply shows them willing to sit around a table with one another and enjoy wine, maidens and offerings without wantonly murdering one another. Being relatively chill =/= sophisticated and superior.
>>
>>51854590
And now you're offending me with your inaccurate portrayal of Buddhism.

>>51854623
They weren't relatively chill though.
>>
>>51854485

Why don't you grab one from Skyrim? I'd imagine there are detailed dungeon maps online somewhere
>>
>>51854658
He wants good dungeons anon, not skyrim walking loops.
>>
>>51854658
>>51854713
I guess if its my only option, I dont think they had verry good mapdesign and also shit puzzles. Shit I think I pull an all nighter instead and make one.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 13.jpg (791KB, 1280x1996px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 13.jpg
791KB, 1280x1996px
>>51854638
Coexistent then. Their faiths weren't generally proponents of "kill the infidel, erry time."

Are you a Buddhist? Feel free to correct me, rather than "No UR Wrong".

>>51854487
Has anyone EVER historically worshipped a God of Evil? Set wan't seen as Evil even by priests of Osiris. He was a God of Desert wastes who served in Ra's skyship. He had rivalries and jealousies and such, but he wasn't The God of Evil. The idea of organized Religions of Evil seems sophmoric.
>>
File: plif antichrist.gif (41KB, 466x670px) Image search: [Google]
plif antichrist.gif
41KB, 466x670px
>>51854420

Yes, evil priests being reduced to the Screwtape schtick is a pretty classic example of how D&D tends to be way too Christiany for my tastes. Note that I literally have zero problem with an intentionally Christiany setting, but evil priests being reduced to the level of pathetic widdle imps, having to grovel to peasants in the hope of a single convert, is really sad and just another example of what I'm talking about.

Evil gods... really, really should not give even the slightest of fucks about moral corruption, unless they're specifically a god OF moral corruption (which should not be every evil god). Good gods may care that their followers are good, but evil gods shouldn't be focused on being The Exact Same Thing As Fiends (TM).

Evil religions aren't, or shouldn't be, Nega-Christianity, where you should follow their (im)moral teachings. This shit is retarded. The vast majority of evil gods should care about being feared and/or respected, receiving sacrifices, etc., not making sure all their followers are evil and corrosive to society. Theoretically, there should be no problem with good PCs following most evil gods, running around strangling (for murdergods I-VIII), electrocuting, or dissolving in acid or whatever baddies and praising their dark gods should be about enough in most cases, as its still sacrifices. There is no incentive for most evil gods to make sure their followers are evil.
>>
>>51854432
>If Dungeons and Dragons faith was anything resembling Christianity, all other faiths would be seen as an implicit threat/heresy.

Jesus never remotely implied the Romans were wrong, crazy, or whatever.
>>
>>51854516
It ranges from difficult to impossible to disentangle a real follower of a deity, whatever that may be, from someone who "just" follows them because they're massively powerful and think they can help them.
>>
Question.
Why the hell doesn't bear's strength(or anything similar) give advantage on melee attacks as well as skill checks?
What sorta fucked up design flaw is that?
>>
>>51851358
Hill dwarf and more HP would be nice, but so is the feat and human goes better with my backstory. Strength is a bit moot as I want to pump dex/ con for AC and saving throws. Either I go all the way or strength/ damage barb.
>>
>>51854573
I like.
>>
File: Doc Frankenstien 06 14.jpg (792KB, 1280x2001px) Image search: [Google]
Doc Frankenstien 06 14.jpg
792KB, 1280x2001px
>>51854754
"Evil Priests" shouldn't even be a thing in a campaign.
People want to advance their personal fortunes and causes, and that might set them at odds with others, but no one is going to see the advancement of their personal fortunes as "Evil".

You'll occasionally have some Bathory-type monster who wants to remain immortal by bathing in virgin blood, but she's not going to form a church with services.

You'll have the odd insane coven of cultists wanting to bring about the End Times with Cthulhu, but they aren't going to have a church in the Street of Gods, and they sure as hell aren't going to go around wearing Cthulhu's holy symbol.

Evil Religions is a stupid, stupid trope.
>>
>>51854815
They thougt it would be too strong, also it shuld give dmg not +tohit
>>
>>51854590

Congratulations, all you managed was to make Buddhism and Christianity sound even more alike (in a good way).
>>
>>51854638
What denomination do you think this guy posting that comic used to be a member of when he was younger? My vote is either Roman Catholic or Southern Baptist, based on the unresolved shame and the hatred respectively.
>>
>>51854844
It's usually a catholic, but he could be a self hating jew too.
>>
>>51854754
>evil priests being reduced to the level of pathetic widdle imps, having to grovel to peasants in the hope of a single convert
I don't now how you got that out of that post. If anything, the clerics of Good deities are the ones more obviously grovelling and preaching service:reward. The Evil Clerics are out there being proactive and basically tricking everyone into thinking it was their own idea to love murder or rape or whatever else.

>Nega-Christianity
It's not.
>The vast majority of evil gods should care about being feared and/or respected, receiving sacrifices
They are.
>not making sure all their followers are evil and corrosive to society
Many of them don't want to destroy society, they want to change society to match their ideals. They want their followers to be Evil, though, because their goals are Evil. You are looking at cause and effect backwards here. Something isn't Evil in D&D because it's immoral; it's Evil because Evil is a tangible, quantifiable, intrinsic property of the universe. Society considers Evil things bad because the majority of society is Good and most truly Evil societies don't get very far or become as successful as the Good ones because everyone's busy stabbing themselves in the back instead of helping out.
>There is no incentive for most evil gods to make sure their followers are evil.
To have their followers doing things related to the God's domain and promoting more acts in line with that directly empowers the God. In the case of an Evil God whose domains are Evil things, the Cleric is necessarily doing Evil while he promotes that.
>>
>>51854824
The God's intentions can totally be evil, and some kinds of people will be drawn in by the promise of power, or freedom to indulge their base desires. Not every evil priest needs to be out to destroy the world.
>>
>>51854801
>disentangle a real follower of a deity
Elric didn't believe Arioch was going to insure some reward after death.
Elric didn't life his life according to any specific edicts of Arioch
Elric only thought about Arioch at all when his shit was getting pushed in, and he was a last resort Genie who might show up and help him kill his way out of trouble.

For anything else, Elric generally called upon Elementals or Beast Lords the Melnibonians had ancient pacts with.
He didn't worship Arioch or any of the other Chaos Powers, he simply acknowledged their existence and knew one of them could be bribed into helping him (unreliably).
None of the Eldren peoples across dimensions were unsophisticated "god worshipers". They knew the Lords of Law and Chaos were a thing, and that you could make alliegences with them.
>>
File: tg.png (53KB, 590x618px) Image search: [Google]
tg.png
53KB, 590x618px
>>51847914
>situational modifiers
I wonder, /tg/, are you a GM who praises and rewards creativity or do you not give a damn about a well roleplayed scene?

Here's what happened to me today:
>playing tiefling warlock
>entertainer background
>I sold myself into slavery to meet the rest of the party
>want to demonstrate to the pleb slave-owners how much I'm worth
>start playing on my violin and, with thaumaturgy, make the flames of the candles dance and change colors, as well as make my voice louder when I tell the tale of a tragic knight meeting his end at the hands of a dastardly villain
>ask the GM if I'm impressing the audience
>he asks me to roll normally
>no modifiers, no advantage, nothing
>nat 1
>story sucks, my playing sucks too
>even though I should be good at it, because of my background

I was pretty disappointed to say the least. I know the GM was technically correct in the ruling, but I want to know what you'd have done, as a GM.
>>
>>51854877
>The God's intentions can totally be evil
Nope. Historically untrue. You occasionally have destructive super-monsters like Fenris and the sort, but Hades is only Evil in Christian Disney Cartoons.

Kali just isn't Evil. Loki is really just an asshole who thinks he can get away with wicked fun because he's so smart.
>>
>>51854921
performance check with advantage because of the nice description
>>
>>51854824
Cosmic Good and Evil, like the existence of the Gods in D&D, is undebatable. It's there and everyone with the slightest education can know it. It is provable.

Someone who does Evil things to advance their lot in life may not see themselves as evil, but there should be no doubt that they are Evil. A distinction must be made between the Evil alignment/force and evil as a relative morality or set of social norms for a group, which may or may not align with the universal standard; having slaves in Thay is not seen as evil as it would be in Cormyr, but it's Evil regardless of where you are.

People who truly dedicate themselves to improving their life no matter the cost will usually fall in with demons and certain Gods and other Evil entities, and that's when you start getting to a point where they no longer even attempt to deny that they are evil unless it's an act in public or an attempt to guilt-trip the heroes or something. You can't compare Evil cultists of an Evil God with some bandit who merely has no respect for life; if the bandit were filthy stinking rich, he wouldn't be murdering anyone, but the Evil cultist is still going out of his way to do bad shit because it directly empowers whatever it is he believes in and increases the surety of his just reward.
>>
>>51854948
Hades kidnapped another god, forced her to be his wife, then tricked her into eating a fruit that would basically compel her to return to the underworld every year after she escaped.

Pretty evil.
>>
>>51854921
in 5e, i'd have probably given you advantage on the roll.
in 4e, a +2 or +5 depending on the sophistication and magical knowledge of the audience.

Or, if trolling /5eg/, I'd rule that because thaumaturgy has a verbal component, the magical words disrupted your performance, and you have disadvantage on the roll.
>>
>>51854855
Man, this guy has nothing to complain about when it comes to being fucked up due to religion. I have scars on my dick from when I hit puberty and wanted to fap all the time so I cut myself so I wouldn't. And yet I don't hold anything against either my former denomination or my family who are still faithful.
>>
>>51854970
You sound like the type who'd make a 6th level forest ranger roll to climb a tall tree and inflict falling damage on him when he rolled shit.
>>
>>51855008
He sounds like the opposite to me. >>51855001 is more like it.
>>
>>51854994
Every greek god raped people.
>>
>>51854994
Still a cooler guy than Zeus.
>>
>>51855048
Pretty evil. Not Hera, but she was an awful person anyway.
>>
>>51854824
The morality spectrum as it exists in D&D is a pretty stupid idea, but that's what we've got.

As far as evil gods go, though, it makes sense. The D&D god Bane and the real-world god Ares are roughly equivalent in many senses. Both are brutal war gods who crave victory over strategy, and are worshiped by those that wish to dominate their foes with brutal strength. In some moments in history, there's a very real need for a violent god of bloody death, that'll make sure it's the other asshole who dies horribly rather than you.

Depending on perspective, Hera and Zeus could also themselves be considered evil, as could Poseidon. The former two wreck the world and the lives of innocent mortals with their perpetual lovers' quarrels, while Poseidon is deeply responsible for every life lost at sea.

The common theme here is that gods that are evil have something people want. People want victory from Ares, wise rulership and a stable home from Zeus and Hera, and safe passage from Poseidon. People worship and have clerics of evil gods not because the god is a heartless schemer, but because, besides all that, what the god represents is important enough to merit worship.

Take Vecna also as an example. Plenty of neutral or even good scholars in D&D worship Vecna because he is the god of hidden secrets, and uncovering the secret knowledge of the multiverse is their entire purpose in life. A cleric of Vecna is a keeper of secrets, more than a mere cultist, and can serve a social function, even if that function is not entirely savory.
>>
>>51854994
The Greek Gods were all a bunch of close relatives doing crazy sexual shit to one another.
He won a queen through accepted Godly rules of Hoyle.

He was by no measure the God of Kidnapping the Girl Next Door and Locking Her in Your Basement til She Agrees to Be Yours.

The Greeks saw Hades as unflinchingly fair to a fault, a stern figure of iron-hard Law compared to most of the other Gods. He wasn't coming down as a Goose and fucking your sister.

The Gods have their own rules for each other. Dog eat Dog. Zeus didn't consider it an evil act at all.
>>
>>51855108
>Ares
>Evil
>Poseidon
>Evil
You are completely wrong about what they represented in their societies.
>>
>>51855008
And you sound like a stupid fucking faggot who makes shit comparisons based on your lack of good sense and/or reading comprehension.
I didn't tell you the DC, neither did I tell what would happen in case of failure. Stop assuming things.
>>
>>51855111
I'll admit that my knowledge of mythology (especially Greek mythology) is a bit spotty, but I swore that a lot of the Greek gods were afraid of Hades because he didn't go around and fuck with the mortals a lot and focused on the task he was assigned, and that the few interactions we hear from him are the Persephone story (which was meant to explain the seasons changing) and that he guards over the Underworld as none of the other gods wanted that job of messing with mortal souls after their bodies die.
>>
>>51855111
Zeus allowed it when Hades asked for permission IIRC.

Hades was about as brotier as you can get in greek mythology. He didn't go around raping your wife like Zeus would with his bullcock. He didn't accidentally make monsters like zeus. He just did his job. and legally acquired a wife (by the laws of the land). Today it's a pretty shitty thing to do in our culture, but being allowed to do something by the head god of your setting is a pretty good excuse, morally speaking.
>>
>>51855108
>The morality spectrum as it exists in D&D is a pretty stupid idea, but that's what we've got.

You are neither forced to use it at all, nor are you forced to have all the outer planes and their mish-mash of cross-religious characters.

Your D&D cosmology is not obligate to run like Larry Elmore's or Gary Gygax's. In any way.
>>
>>51854739

>Has anyone EVER historically worshipped a God of Evil?

I don't relate to the distinction, sorry.
>>
>>51855111
Zeus had to step in and tell Hades to give Persephone up because her mother Demeter couldn't make Hades do it. Also Demeter was so depressed at the time that the world was thrown into a perpetual winter and Hades didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>51854824
>"Evil Priests" shouldn't even be a thing in a campaign.

I don't see why not.

>but no one is going to see the advancement of their personal fortunes as "Evil".

I don't see how that is a requirement.
>>
>>51855156
Look at how Ares is represented in the Iliad. Look at how Poseidon is represented in the Odyssey.

Hell, even if you want to make the claim Poseidon only acted as he did to spite Odysseus' challenge against him, look at the literal legion of monsters Poseidon sires and then unleashes on the world, for no better reason than his junk produces only monsters and by Tartarus he's not going to jerk one off.

If you want to make a counterpoint, make one. Start by coming up with evidence.
>>
>>51855156
If you go by the original, classical knowledge of the Greek Gods and not how D&D classifies them, they'd all mostly fall in the Neutral or Chaotic side of things, with a couple outliers being Lawful-aligned.

They were presented as (mostly) jerks who love to toy around with mortals because they're bored, or feel insulted when a mortal doesn't pay them tribute for one reason or another.
>>
>>51855203

Nor am I saying we're obligated to. I'm saying two things:

A) The morality spectrum is a bad idea, and

B) Using it is the default assumption for D&D

Beyond that, I'm well aware anyone can run any game however they like.
>>
>>51855161
Making people do random number generation for non-dangerous tasks their background or class would imply they are very proficient in is stupid. A monk order that balances on one hand as part of their meditation shouldn't have to roll ACR to do this every morning. A skilled troubador shouldn't have to roll to impress some townies or tavern patrons.

If he's trying to impress the surly Duke who really doesn't like music so that he'll get invited to the feast and get access to the castle; fine roll it. DM's who throw around DC checks for just about everything are terrible, my easily triggered little boy.
>>
>>51854860
>The Evil Clerics are out there being proactive and basically tricking everyone into thinking it was their own idea to love murder or rape or whatever else.

It just kind of makes evil priests seem intrinsically pathetic, since they have to work an order of magnitude harder, for less reward, and do something evil types generally have less interest in (getting to know people on an individual basis).

>In the case of an Evil God whose domains are Evil things, the Cleric is necessarily doing Evil while he promotes that.

Well I mean, D&D isn't exclusively about murder, but its not a small part of it. Murder is admittedly a pretty hard sell for nonevil types compared to, say storms or the ocean (to cite two FR examples of evil gods of somewhat benign purviews), but sneaking around and shanking people with surprise seems to be not hard to square with most PCs.
>>
>>51855194
>Today it's a pretty shitty thing to do in our culture
It was unacceptable in Greek culture, they fought huge wars over absconded gals like Helen.

The Gods operated by a completely different set of rules and morality than humans, that's the point. Eating your godly children was simply a good idea because they were destined to supplant your immortal reign; it wasn't OMG EVIL, it was the way of things. If you fucked it up then you were dead.
>>
>>51855262
>The morality spectrum is a bad idea
It's infinitely more interesting with the morality non-spectrum that exists in reality and every other setting.

Objective morality being the law of a setting also does not preclude any character from thinking about morality subjectively. When you really get into the meat of the system, you'll find that the ethical dilemmas faced by an informed agent of an Objective Reality setting are far more harrowing than the guy in Subjective Reality Land. Again, not everyone in an OR setting has to be informed as to how that's how things work, and good luck explaining, as the man who knows for certain that it would be "Wrong" to murder this tyrannical king, that you are doing the right thing for everyone by letting him continue to oppress all the crying peasants surrounding you.
>>
>>51854921
If that sort of thing happened, I'd say your performance was TOO good, and have them either mistake your magic powers for a sign of more than usual demonry, and your tale a sign of your planned mutiny.
>>
>>51855332
The thing that was fought over in the Trojan war wasn't raping Helen. She was technically willing, due to Aphrodite's influence IIRC. The cause of the war was taking her from a valid promised marriage.

There was no valid marriage to destroy with Persephone.
>>
>>51855210
>Zeus had to step in and tell Hades to give Persephone
Because it was causing Demeter to fuck up his mortal playground.
>>51855227
>Look at how Ares is represented in the Iliad. Look at how Poseidon is represented in the Odyssey.
No more evil than God testing Abraham's willingness to kill his son or his shit inflicted on Job. Gods themselves don't answer to mortal laws or mores.
>>51855227
>look at the literal legion of monsters Poseidon sires
Like Leviathan or any of the other monsters/dangerous beasts spawned in the Old Testament by God?
In Greek mythology these beasts existed to challenge the destinies of Heroes.
>>
>>51855336
>you'll find that the ethical dilemmas faced by an informed agent of an Objective Reality setting are far more harrowing than the guy in Subjective Reality Land

The funny thing about living in Subjective Reality Land is that statements like this are highly subjective.
>>
>>51855371
way to blow a nat one out of proportions, you ass
>>
>>51855291
Ok, so you chose to ignore the "slave showing his value to his owners" part, that invalidates your point.
If he rolled low I wouldn't say "u suck lel", but rather something like "the slavers seem unimpressed", "although they seem to enjoy the tune, they don't feel like your price should go up" or something like that.
>>
>>51855241
>they'd all mostly fall in the Neutral or Chaotic side of things
No, they fall into the category of "We are the Gods, we keep the Sun and Moon and the Seasons and all this shit running, we do as we DO, it's not up for mortal judgement."
>>
>>51855406

If you're trying to make the argument that YHWH of the Old Testament isn't a god that would be defined as evil by D&D standards...

...well, I'm just plain not sure why you'd make that argument.
>>
>>51854992
Are you new to 5e, friend? You seem to be talking about 3e morality and transplanting it to 5e. Stop that.

Assuming slavery is openly acceptable in Thay and not just something normal people cringe and look away from while being unable to do anything about as they quiver in fear, slavery is indeed "objectively" Lawful Good in Thay. Lawful Good is just "right thing as defined by society," with all the unfortunate historical parallels that implies.

5e alignment is way, way different than 3e's Objective nonsense. Its more like 2e's "Good has no absolute values and is culturally determined" sort of thing.

You can, in fact, have a 5e society where slavery is both common and its not Lawful Good, either through DM fiat or it simply being viewed as a necessary evil, but its 100% legit to have Lawful Good slave owners in 5e, again if its viewed as the right thing.
>>
File: disgusting.png (394KB, 1220x1080px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
394KB, 1220x1080px
NEW T H R E A D
BREAD NEW
>>51855465

>>51855465

>>51855465

>>51855465

>>51855465
>>
>>51855406
I'm not saying Zeus was a good guy, just that he wasn't pleased with what Hades was doing. Maybe he didn't consider it "evil", but in that case you could probably argue that he didn't consider anything evil.
>>
>>51855422
For a fair, but comedic take, failure could be "You fail to distinguish yourself from the dozens of other performers currently doing the exact same thing you are. In fact, the cacophony from your combined noise slightly annoys the slave masters.
>>
>>51855403
I never claimed she was raped, i said she was absconded with.
The original point remains; mortals weren't given the agency to behave like the Gods. In fact, acting anything like the Gods or even comparing yourself favorably to them in the slightest way invited punitive, harsh and excessive punishment.

the Gods were neither Good nor Evil, they were the Boss. If they felt good about you, nice things happened. If they woke up and felt bad about you, or were just bored, you might be fucked.
Nothing to do with Good or Evil.
>>
>>51854921

I'd probably have a check for doing everything at once if it's a spur of the moment and you don't normally do all of that at once

If you've practiced some for hundreds of hours and it's a low stress environment I'd say your fine

And advantage or disadvantage depending on how they feel about your race and magic in general
>>
>>51855421
You had, at most, a +5 to performance. You got a total of 6, almost certainly placing you below the DC, despite having executed those magical means. Either I can tell you that despite all your effort you failed because they see better from the girl at the strip bar who knows cantrips that shows up on Saturdays, or I can try to use the development to cause SOMETHING to come about.
>>
>>51855497
Except when greek philosophers started questioning this exact line of thinking you're doing.

"Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?"
>>
>>51855312
>evil priests seem intrinsically pathetic, since they have to work an order of magnitude harder, for less reward
The great imbalance of D&D is that Evil is far easier than Good. The fastest, safest route to power and wealth in most cases is the Evil one.

This shopkeeper has an amulet that can help you on his quest, but it's far too expensive. The Good character must quest to get the coinage, or ask if he can do some favor for the shopkeep in exchange for a bargain, but the Evil character can just steal it or murder the guy and clear out his shop, which will surely be easier than fighting off the small army of bugbears or coming back with an owlbear gizzard or whatever the fuck.

These guys became Evil cultists specifically because they didn't want to work hard to get amazing power. Manipulating people to advance the faith is the same whether you're Good or Evil; the Good Cleric of Farming can farm himself and stay in God's good graces, and the Evil Cleric of Murdering can murder on his own and appease his God just the same, but both of them have to go out and win converts by talking to people and showing them (through one way or another) how Murder or Farming can improve their lives. The key difference is farming takes hours and weeks and months of back-breaking labor for a pittance, and murder is as easy as stabbing someone in the back and nets you all their cash at once.

Aside from winning converts to the practices or the "church" proper, Evil Clerics can also empower their God by extorting sacrifices out of the citizenry. The same way a Good Cleric could say, "Donate to Chauntea and your harvests will be blessed and bountiful," so can the Evil Cleric of Bhaal or whoever the fuck the Murder God is now could say, "Bhaal protects those who make offerings in his name and steers the hand of his murderous faithful to other targets."

Just about everyone pays "protection prayers" to Evil deities.
>>
>>51855075
>Not Hera, but she was an awful person anyway.

Greek myth would be a lot hotter in that case.

>>51855108
I always thought 4e PoL Bane was an unusually level headed, centered style of Lawful Evil and mostly just evil by modern standards, whereas Ares was supposed to be unusually destructive and chaotic even by the standards of a chaotic, destructive pantheon.
>>
>>51855505
You mean you would've given me a +5 to performance?
>>
>>51855008
>Oh my god why aren't people automatically impressed at my performance?
Might as well ask why people aren't automatically persuaded by your argument and that you actually have to roll persuasion.
>>
>>51855534
Nah, he meant you had +2 prof +3 CHA, assuming you were lv1
>>
>>51855534
I mean you've got a +5 from your stats. That's as high as skills can go starting out in 5e.
>>
>>51855624
+4 charisma, I rolled pretty well for once
>>
>>51855674
>rolling for stats
the game was doomed from the start
>>
>>51855688
I wouldn't go that far yet. I've been having fun, aside from not having creativity rewarded -yet. I will speak with the GM about it tho
>>
What if a sorcerer upcasting spells could give them sorcery points instead of the usual increased effects?
>>
>>51856054
>Burn slots for points
>Burn Points for High Level Slots
>Burn HLS on Upcasting
>Receive points rebate
>>
>>51856132
That's impossible unless you got more than 2 sp/spell level. Also the highest spell level for Flexible Casting is 5th.
>>
>>51856054
Upcasting is pretty much useless compared to just casting a higher level spell of similar effect though, so wasting high level slots on casting a low level spell just to get some points back without the increased effect is awful.

If you got the increased effect AND a small number of points back, then it might be worthwhile, like 1 point for every 2 levels of difference between the spell level and slot level, at best getting you 4 points back off a 1st level spell in a 9th level slot.
>>
>>51855291
>Making people do random number generation for non-dangerous tasks their background or class would imply they are very proficient in is stupid.
Because experts and professionals never fuck up, it is unheard of for a professional engineer, doctor, or singer, or gymnast to mess up.
>>
>>51856235
Upcasting for sp to spend on metamagic to empower the spell is hardly awful.
>>
>>51856190
If you give them 2 sp/spell level, it'll still be better than simply burning a spell slot for points.
>>
>>51849783
Do cantrips scale with character level as opposed to class-who-can-use-it level, and martials (fighters) only get extra attacks through class levels? Is that what you're referring to? Because I'm pretty sure that's why fighters get two extra ASIs, and even other martials get at least one more than casters. Fighter attacks become more frequent and marginally better the same time that cantrips get more dice to their damage. Just don't multiclass.
>>
>>51855527
Bane did crash his plane into Gruumsh's plane to try to usurp that portfolio though. Unfortunately, there were survivors.
>>
>>51856347
As long as you do not gain more sp by upcasting than you can spend for an equivalent spell slot with Flexible Casting the greentext in >>51856132 is impossible.

A more valid formula could perhaps be that you receive sp equivalent to the level of the spell slot used /2 (rounded up).

So:
>cast Scorching Ray with 3rd level slot
>get 2 sorcery points instead of the extra ray (3/2=2~)
>use 2 sp to quicken the Scorching Ray
>>
>>51856618
If you burn a level 3 slot by standard rules, you get 3 SP.
If you upcast a level 1 slot ot level 3 using 2sp/level, you get 4 SP.

That's the problem.

You can turn a level 5 spell slot into 4 level 1 spell slots and cast a level one spell in the process, when normally you could only make two and a half without also casting a level 1 spell.

I'm not saying that's gamebreaking or anything, just a note that you'd have to remove the standard spell burning rules.
>>
>>51856671
Sorcerers are universally agreed to be shit in this edition, I don't think more favorable rules that allow them to cast more spells per day is anything that will be gamebreakingly OP. The sorcery points could be temporary though, maybe last until the end of your turn.

That said I did forget the original spell burning rule, no surprise though since it's fucking horrible.
>>
File: DMG_288.png (52KB, 345x100px) Image search: [Google]
DMG_288.png
52KB, 345x100px
>>51856618
Just use the spell point table for determining how many sorcery points they get.
>>
>>51856453
Cantrips scale with character level, yes. And only fighters get additional ASIs from their class. What makes you think other martials get additonal ASIs? Did you read the book?
>>
>>51856883
Don't rogues get an additional ASI?
>>
>>51856996
At level 10.
>>
>>51855465
>>51855465
>>
File: dnd-sorcerer.jpg (43KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
dnd-sorcerer.jpg
43KB, 300x300px
In what areas does a sorcerer excel?
Thread posts: 438
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.