[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dread RPG, Why all the hate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Jenga.jpg (24KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Jenga.jpg
24KB, 450x450px
Hello tg, This is abit of a rant about one of my personal favorite tabletop RPGs of all time. Dread.

If you don't know what I'm talking about here's a link to the quickstart rules (four pages)

http://archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1377/43/1377432921870.pdf

So it is abit of a oddball for sure, instead of rolling you have to play a game of Jenga. However, this seemingly gets unbridled hate for this mechanic alone. Seemingly the only way a 'real' Rpg should be played is with dice, and while I'll agree that Dread isn't perfect, It works wonders for a slightly impromptu horror story.

So what are your thoughts? Am I a blind fanboy or is this worth merit?
>>
Dread's good fun. A bit dated, but it's a great party trick for teaching to normies.

Have you tried Ten candles yet, anon?
>>
>>51844177
No I have not, thank you so much for mentioning that!

Personally I am lazy and I find it's almost impossible to have a bad game with even the most humble of prep with games like dread or as it appears, ten candles. If you are into Dread my favorite premade is the " corporate retreat " from the rpgknight review
>>
>>51843649
I agree, Meme the RPG is not bad, but not that great
>>
More games need mechanics like this that reinforce the atmosphere.
>>
>>51844681
I agree, no offense but if I am playing a Lovecraft horror, I shouldn't be throwing dice around like a Warhammer ork player
>>
File: powergaming at dread.gif (3MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
powergaming at dread.gif
3MB, 300x225px
>>
>>51844863
>>>/k/
>>
>>51843649
>Why all the hate?
What? I thought /tg/'s consensus on Dread was that it's a good game?
>>
>>51844844
>>51844863

>play cthulu campaign
>"Well, since my guy fought in WW1, he has access to a tank and..."
>game over
>>
>>51843649
I don't have a problem with Dread but the inclusion of the Jenga tower is a gimmick.
Jenga is already a successful and popular game. Dread rides the coat tails of Jenga's value. So ultimately it's just kinda bullshit.
It is just guided free-form. Which is nothing new.

You can achieve the same tension by drawing from a deck of cards with failures occurring with an ace of spades or any ace or any spade or whatever. In fact that would be a more robust rule set because you could attach plot development to certain cards. Jack of spades indicates betrayal, king of hearts means physically overpowering obstacle, etc.

I don't care for hype and I'm not a big fan of Jenga the game so Dread is pretty flat by my standards.
>>
>>51847703
Getting Replies 101: Take a position counter to the board consensus and act as if it were true with no supporting evidence or argument. People will flood in to tell you how wrong you are when they would mostly stay silent if they agreed with you. Eventually, one anon will agree with your position and everyone starts screaming at each other.
>>
>>51847703
Getting Replies 101: Take a position counter to the board consensus and act as if it were true with no supporting evidence or argument. People will flood in to tell you how wrong you are when they would mostly stay silent if they agreed with you. Eventually, one anon will agree with your position and everyone starts screaming at each other.
>>
>>51848947
I was refencencing reddit with my post, there is always someone in the comments who is bitching, and I wanted to see if that sentiment carried over here.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.