[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Mass Combat edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 384
Thread images: 45

File: Jaime Lannister.jpg (142KB, 900x577px) Image search: [Google]
Jaime Lannister.jpg
142KB, 900x577px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Myst... Mass Combat? Huh.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d
>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /tg/...
>>51832587

You'll discuss new arcana anyway.
>>
File: Fuck no.jpg (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck no.jpg
46KB, 600x600px
>>
>>51836808
I just finished reading this.
What are the differences of the old mass combat rules? It seems like the exact same shit

In fact the original had overall more options than the new one:
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Battlesystem.pdf
>>
File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
At least we can finally say to WoTC what we really think about Loremaster Wizard. So, please do it, /5eg/.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d
>>
>and we’ll take the things you don’t like and either toss them out or rebuild them

Yes, give those Loremaster features to Sorcerers.
>>
>>51836808
Next week for the survey, we do nothing but REEEEEEE for the Mystic.
>>
Hey anon's I'm DMing a game where a player wants to do this for their character are there any risks involved with the Hexblade Bladelock multiclass?
>14 Eldritch Knight/3 Swashbuckler/3 Hexblade Bladelock Warlock
>>
>>51836808

I never asked for this
>>
>>51836808
THEY PROMISED US. THEY LIED AND GAVE US SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY.
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, FUCKING RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I made sure to spam GIVE MYSTIC in the survey
They can't just ignore us like that
>>
File: whens mystic.png (922KB, 1275x719px) Image search: [Google]
whens mystic.png
922KB, 1275x719px
>>51836808
why this
>>
File: angryelf.png (979KB, 808x892px) Image search: [Google]
angryelf.png
979KB, 808x892px
>>51836808
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MYSTIC?
>HA HA GUYS WE'RE JUST PUTTING THE FINISHING TOUCHES ON MYSTIC IT'S GONNA BE GREAT
>Christmas time
>SORRY HAD TO DELAY MYSTIC UNTIL NEXT YEAR
>January
>UHHH WE'RE ON VACATION, MYSTIC SOON
>February
>IT'S PRESIDENTS' DAY, UA ON TUESDAY, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS :D :D :D :D
>a s s
>c o m b a t
FUUUUUUUUUUCK
YOOOOOOOOOOU
>>
Mystic next week guys, don't worry hehehe.
Don't forget to fill out the survey, your feedback is very important for us.
>>
>>51836808
I could have sworn we already had "large scale battle" UA rules.
>>
File: the last hero.jpg (287KB, 913x601px) Image search: [Google]
the last hero.jpg
287KB, 913x601px
ONE HUNDRED PERCENT MAD
>>
My players are chasing after some fleeing frost giants in Icewind Dale after a failed attack on Bryn Shander. I'm trying to think of some occurrences that could happen to make it interesting.

I'm already thinking of having the two giants split up, one traveling to Bremen to bundle up all the plunder when they raided that town, while the other travels west to the awaiting longship to travel back to Svardborg.

I don't know how to treat it other than "you walk up to Bremen, which is a battered ghost town and find a frost giant hefting bulging sacks into a caravan cart" and "you spot the frost giant running across open field, in the distance a massive ship with sails as tall as towers is anchored off the coast."
>>
File: BUT ALAS 5EG, NOT SO FAST.png (32KB, 982x622px) Image search: [Google]
BUT ALAS 5EG, NOT SO FAST.png
32KB, 982x622px
I'M GONNA DO IT.
>>
>There's no box for comments on the Raven Queen
Mad as hell about this, since it's the one I want to complain about the most.
>>
>>51837133
Do you enjoy being drowned out?
>>
File: Hostage negotiator.jpg (53KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hostage negotiator.jpg
53KB, 750x500px
>>51837133
Let's not be hasty here! What are your demands?
>>
>>51837150
I also complained about it being way too setting-specific.
In the hexblade box.
>>
>>51837133
>A wizard is a wizard, even in 5E!
I'm still pissed that the most powerful spells of each school aren't exclusive to the specializations. The majority of other casters have at least some of their spells determined by class option, and it was the perfect opportunity to make school specialization actually mean something.
>>
>>51837023
Different scale: When Armies Clash uses a 20ft/20ft squares, the new Mass Combat uses 100ft/100ft, and is more straightforward.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're both in the as-of-yet-unnamed splatbook in the works, because in the end they both are meant to do different things.
>>
>>51837186
This desu
>>
>>51837133
I said the same thing in different words.
>>
>>51837174
I have to wonder if they think that people bought SCAG for the setting details, rather than solely for the new character options. That might explain why they thought that the Raven Queen was even vaguely acceptable.
>>
>>51836991
>Hhaha, we rewrote it from the scratch and the beloved Immortal doesn't exist anymore, now is just a subclass fo fighter with literally nothing because fighter frame is already stronk. Enjoy!
>>
>>51837211
What offends me the most is that Raven Queen is not even a goddess from Forgotten Realms - you know, the default setting of 5e. She's not a goddess from Eberron or Darksun either - both pretty popular settings among players. She's not a godess from Greyhawk, which is somewhat of a meme, but still used to be a default one.
She's from Points of Light. A 4e setting that nobody liked. Why?!
>>
>>51837150
I'm more mad that they realeased nothing new for Undying and Undying light
>>
>>51837230
A read her fluff and just decided I'd use her as an archfey with her own special pact.
>>
>>51836928
Nah. They still need a 13 in either STR or Dex for multiclassing fighter.
EK without INT can only rely on passive stuff.
Hexblade allows them to rely on Cha for weapon attacks but the best weapon they get is a quarterstaff.
I also don't see a point in going above lvl 7 in eldritch knigt since you'll mainly use Booming blade anywas.
>>
>>51837153
It doesn't matter.
A vote is a vote! :^)
>>
>>51837230
The Raven Queen was the most popular god from that generic 4e pantheon.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I started with 4e in the default setting and I think it's cool that they're referencing her.

Also can't it be adapted to any of the generic "god of death, but not specifically evil death" gods from other settings?
>>
>>51836991
It's the ''Half-life 3'' meme of /tg/.

Fuck psionics anyway.
>>
>>51837254
>EK without INT can only rely on passive stuff.
>implying you don't pick EK just for Shield and Absorb Elements anyway
>>
I'm getting a message that the wizards website is down for maintenance...was it one of you?
>>
>>51837230
>Nobody liked
The Planar Handbook from 4e is one of the better setting supplements we got in a long time. Better than anything setting related released as a splat in 5e yet.
>>
>>51837335
Hi
>>
>>51837230
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that the Raven Queen is cool as hell, and I appreciate her being referenced in 5E.

It's just not a good model for a warlock pact.
>>
>>51837230
Maybe it has to do with the rise in popularity of Critical Role.
>>
>>51837246
Well, it's not like they referenced anything outside of the PHB options, so it's not--
>The Seeker
Mad as hell again.
>>
>>51837335
Some of you guys are alright. Don't go to wizard's site today.
>>
File: 1485464980844.png (278KB, 640x715px) Image search: [Google]
1485464980844.png
278KB, 640x715px
>>51837335
It was me.
>>
Group of friends playing dnd.
Roommate of my best friend is a douchebag.
A friend who we haven't seen in awhile comes back and we decide to play dnd together.

The old friend sucks at dnd. He can't RP well, he struggles to remember rules, he makes very poor decisions. But overall everyone has fun.

Other player is very... aggressive. Often mocks him for everything and jumps ahead of me to answer his questions. We've had a sit down and thins were fine for 2 sessions.

The new player becomes possessed by a banshee - acts flamboyant etc

Other party members talk about his unusual behavior- the other player just says he's a acting normal, bitchy and stupid.

New player quit mid session after he was knocked out, texted me he is done, let his character die. Later tells me why he quit, the above.

I'm a new DM, I thought I had settled it but it kind of exploded. It doesn't feel right that one player was bullied out. I'm half tempted to kick the other player out and invite him back.
>>
>>51837354
Oh yeah, did Mercer ever talked about why he's using a Points of Light-inspired pantheon?
>>
>>51837246
>undying
Okay flavour, shit abilities.
>undying light
Trash fluff, cool crunch.
Meh.
>>
>>51837385
You have to be over 18 to post on 4chan.
>>
>>51837413
Don't know. The pantheon he uses it's a mix from many settings. I guess he just thought it was cool.
>>
How do I build a wizard that's basically a walking siege machine
>>
what are some extra-dimensional space items?

Bag of Holding
Bag of Devouring
Portable Hole
Handy Haversack

anything else?
>>
>>51837458
Major Creation for creating rams.
Shatter for smaller targets.
Use wish to conjure a trebuchet
>>
There was a 3-day festival at the town. The PCs played some of the games, got angry when they lost and started ruining other people's days. Came up with a plan to cheat. They started a "fake" fight, guards came and cornered them. They tried shooting the drow obviously, mage guards counterspell'ed etc etc. I stopped the game there.

Where do I go from here? 1 PC is already captured. 1 PC will take on 8 Guard NPCs, he'll fall obv. Some will chase the Drow but I'll fudge some spell to disable him. 1 PC is left but I don't think she'll fight.

I was thinking of throwing them into dungeon/jail at least until the festival is over and then they'll have their trial. Might be kept, executed, or exiled etc.

I just don't understand why they always have to do stupid fuck up bullshit. I've made it very clear that they were being watched, the festival was a once in a 4 year thing and people came from all around the region. They HAD to fuck up my stuff, obviously. Alas, I have to leave my frustration out of the game.

I don't want to kill them but the characters do this all the time and I think it's time consequences catched up to them. I was thinking they get thrown into dungeon and spend some time there, separated from each other.

The plan was that the town would be attacked during the final contest. I think a Pirates of the Caribbean style escape from the keep will be ok here. Thoughts?
>>
>>51837458
Mold Earth
Catapult
Earthquake
Illusionist 14th level feature to make an illusory gate through the walls real for one minute
>>
>>51837458
Lore wizard for 1 mile knock
>>
>>51837469
Major creation what's that?
>>
>>51837356
That's because the Seeker's going to be in the splat they're making, ya dingus.
>>
>>51837595
Fuck, I got it wrong, the spells name is Fabricate.
Use it to create a ballista, then fire it or something. I wonder if it counts as a martial weapon.
Catapult using alchemical fire.
Control Winds to fuck up the enemy archers. Same for things like fog cloud and darkness.
>>51837546
>Illusionist 14th level feature to make an illusory gate through the walls real for one minute
Disintegrate is easier, no? You get it at level 10.
>>
>>51837421
Stop being a nigger
>>
>>51836928
It's... bad?
The Warlock multiclass would make sense if there was a 'smite with rapier' invocation. Alas, it doesn't exist, so what's the point? What is he going for?
Darkness + Devil's Sight?
That's bad, and will piss off the party if they can't see into magical darkness. Maybe so much that they'll sell their souls to his patron just to gain that same power.
>>
>>51837479

Put them under a Greater Geas to do a quest in leiu of jail time
>>
>>51837479
If your PCs are desperately trying to derail your campaign by acting like they're invincible, show them that they aren't. Have the worst offender executed in front of them. Maim a couple of the others and actually give them consequences for it (a wizard that cast a witch bolt at a guard has his hand cut off).

It's okay to go off the rails, but they're playing like jerks.
>>
File: thugnificent.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
thugnificent.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Looking for character suggestions. We are running a lvl 6 campaign with low magic. No full casters allowed. So for we have a polearm vengeance paladin, a fighter/monk, and a hob goblin bomb dropping artificer flying around on a giant mechanized bat.

Im thinking of making some kind of sniper character maybe. What would you guys build at lvl 6 with no full casters?
>>
>>51837217
>because fighter frame is already stronk
GWM is strong, Fighter is nothing. No one gets third and fourth attacks, and the fourth attack is shit compared to plenty of other capstones. Doesn't do dick to stop the Fighter from being piss-boring and useless outside of combat, either.
>>
>>51837718
>hob goblin bomb dropping artificer flying around on a giant mechanized bat

How many times your DM hit him with the nerf bat?
>>
>>51837718
Are Warlocks ok? Maybe if you multiclass with non-casters?
You could snipe with a Moon Bow, and have a ranged smite.
Something like Fighter 1/Warlock 3 would give you the base of the build (combat style and invocation), for the other levels consider you'll eventually need extra attack and something to do with your bonus actions. Also, since RAW they stack, that other combat style that gives +1 to ranged attacks and removes disadvantage at close quarters.
>>
>>51837793
His arch nemesis is also a human artificer with a spider fetish who worships lloth referring to her as madame web.
>>
>>51837460
Yer mum's vag
>>
>>51837802
no, warlocks get access to lvl 9 spells so he's not allowing them.
>>
>have terrible day
>come home and see Mass Combat is out
>day gets worse
>go back to work
>even more terrible shit happens
i wish i were a halfling diviner with lucky irl
>>
>>51837230
>nobody liked
>it's what the most popular D&D stream uses
Okay.
>>
>>51837819
That's from LoL, right?
>>
>>51837858
I think he's going for Green Goblin and Spiderman
>>
>>51837848
Mercer, stop shilling your videos.
>>
>>51837885
Shit, didn't thought about it.
>>
>>51837718
>low magic
>but with a dota 2 character in a party
Your DM seems like a retard.
>>
>>51837836
Not even if you multiclass so you won't have higher spells than a paladin or ranger? Boring.
Then how about Fighter 1/Rogue 3? Usually I'd rather assassinate with a greataxe, but bows
>have a nice big damage dice too
>allow Sharpshooter
>can stack magical bonuses with ammunition, that your artificer will eventually be able to produce in abundance (he can already do +1 ammo)
>doesn't waste the Sneak Attack
>>
>>51837456
Personally I think it's because of godly bloat. There's a god for nearly every damn kind of creature in the default setting. It's not necessary
>>
>>51837836
>>51837924
Btw, wtf - isn't the Artificer a Wizard subclass?
and the DM is allowing THAT?
>>
>>51837944
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Artificer%20(UA),
Where the fuck have you been?
>>
>>51837837

> Halfling diviner with Lucky

my nigga
>>
>>51837922
i dont play dota 2. which character?
>>
>>51837955
That link leads to nothing, to the empty void where no class resides.
Is this a trick of some sort? Am I being bamboloozed?
>>
File: Psionics.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Psionics.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Welp
Back to
>every thread
now since WotC are dirty liars.
>>51837989
Batrider
>>
>>51837997
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
Nigga you dumb.
Link is fine
>>
>>51837784
EK is shit as fuck as a caster, it's basically a fighter with Shield, and that's it, nothing more, why? because wotc thinks "figther stronk!" therefore the subclass must have almost nothing interesting.
>>
File: UA Artificer.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA Artificer.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51837997
here anon. This is the artificer they're using
>>
File: batrider.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
batrider.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
>>51837989
There are even 2 robo bat mounts for him.
I mean, I guess there is nothing exceptionally wrong about it since Dota 2 characters don't, well, really have a defined character, but it's really fucking weird for a low magic setting. Low magic usually implies mundane stuff and low fantasy, so a goblin pyrotechnic on a robot bat seems a bit odd.
>>
>>51837924
yeah i specifically asked about multiclassing to avoid the higher lvl spells, but he wouldnt have it

no wizards warlocks sorcerers druids clerics or bards. I think everything else is ok.

>>51837944
No, they only get access to lvl 4 spells at lvl 20 if i remember correctly. actually lower magic than rangers or paladin who i think get up to lvl 5.
>>
>>51837230
>She's from Points of Light. A 4e setting that nobody liked
Hey, PoLand is awesome. It's a shame the Raven Queen lives in it, but you can just ignore her. Use some other death god.
>>
>>51837930
Yeah, if you think about it Mercer's setting only has 6 deities on the main continent (7 if you count Tiamat, 8 if Orcus has achieved godhood), while the PHB has 37 for Forgotten Realms and the SCAG has even more for the same setting. Jesus, why does it need so many gods?
>>
>>51837692
Just read Geas. So you suggest the Archmage of this town casts a modified/higher version of it so they can't clear the curse. "Enjoy the festivities, join some games, overall have a good time without causing trouble or inconvenience to this town or its visitors." Sounds cool. Need to capture them first.

>>51837696
They are trying to have fun without regard to anything else. Borderline chaotic evil murder-hobos. Steal anything they want, threaten and torture as they see fit. They are making enemies everywhere they go. It kills the campaign sadly, I keep asking if they want to play an evil campaign but they refuse. I don't want to just have them beheaded but I can't think of other punishments.

HUGE festival and they are causing trouble. Dungeon for sure. They will get a hefty fine and maybe lose some of their items. It's a dick move to do as a DM but I feel like I'm losing the reins.
>>
>>51838024
Your first link seriously didn't work.
>>51838033
Thank you!
>>
>>51838027
They have two methodologies for making gishes:
>take caster class
>give it more HP and AC
>give it extra attack or something similar
>more magical bullshit that increases its damage in melee and ranged for some reason
>zero reduction in spell capability, just Caster+++
and
>take martial class
>throw away all the archetype features that actually let it do interesting things
>replace with two spells from existing spell lists per long rest and new spell levels every six fucking levels or something
>HA HA BUT YOU'LL GET TO CONCENTRATE ON HASTE FOR YOURSELF!!
>at level fucking 13, where no one is playing
>>
File: AdditionalComments.png (7KB, 710x375px) Image search: [Google]
AdditionalComments.png
7KB, 710x375px
Don't forget to do the survey.
>>
>>51838042
>>51838007

Yeah, im pretty sure he's trying to play the Spiderman villain Green Goblin. His arch nemesis is a super strong human inventor who worships lloth. Plus the artificer despite being a magic inventor has lower magic output than the other half casters like paladins and rangers.

Also idk if the setting is low magic, I think he might just be banning us from playing casters
>>
>>51837479
Have them publicly punished as part of the festival's entertainment. They could be locked into stockades, or set up in a dunk booth.
>>
>>51838125
>Also idk if the setting is low magic, I think he might just be banning us from playing casters
What a pussy.
>>
Why is there no other race that gives +2 INT? I get that there is currently only Wizard and part of Artificer but what if I want to not play a gnome?
>>
>>51838084
Bladesinger doesn't have more HPs though
>>
>>51837254
>>51837659
Its not actually EK its this class. Which is like EK but with more war magic,less HP, and no extra attack.
>>
>>51838158
Play a variant human with that feat that gives you +1 to Int
>>
>>51837696
Buy them a copy of Skyrim since that's what they want to play.
>>
>>51838158
Play a high elf then. Or a Variant Human, you can technically get +2 int with them. Or just play whatever you want.
>>
>>51838084
>"gish" cantrips scale automatically with any level, completely invalidating need for more attacks
>spells that martials get scale at terrible rates and have nothing going for them that primary casters don't
The system is rigged in favor of casters going martial but not martials going melee. You either get Eldritch Blast or you can fuck off.
>>
>>51837848
But no one gives a shit about Critical Role except turbo autists. Literally everyone I've met that enjoys the show just wants to copy the show, DM or player.
>>
>>51838069

An archmage should have no problem locating any errant party members. And players still need to be punished for disrupting the festival - performing some sort of quest for the town is preferable to having these murderhobos hanging around. Bonus points if you give the players the bonus condition of 'no swearing during this quest' because that's how the geas placed on me was structured
>>
>>51838192
>high elf
Doesn't have +2 int
>Variant Human
I thought most tables banned variant human because
>lelfeats
>play whatever you want
I want to play something with +2 to int that isn't a stunty fuck with 25 movespeed and fuck D&D wiki. You would think hobgobbos would get +2 to int and +1 to con to set them up as wizards and warlords.
>>
>>51837924
fighter 1 for +2 archery sounds like a good move. rogue 5 would have 3d6 sneak attack damage. I'm wondering if its worth it to do fighter 2 for action surge then rogue 4? its 2d6 sneak attack damage instead of 3d6.

also considering just going straight fighter for two attacks. i don't know much about the fighter sharp shooter class either
>>
>Players are going to riot if the UA is not Mystic
>But they're gonna need these mass combat rules to run that.
It's still funny.
>>
>>51838305
Just ask your DM if you can play (whatever race you want) altering one of its racial traits to +2 Int, since you want to be a particularly intellectual member of the race.

He might say yes.
>>
>>51838305

Point buy means +1 and +2 are about the same thing.
I've heard of more tables allowing V human (and therefore mostly being V humans) than ones that ban it. Balance pseudochecker Adventure's League allows them too.

>>51838345
As a DM, I'd allow this.
>>
>>51838184
>+1 to hit and AC
>at level 2

It's hot trash.
>>
Hey /tg/, trying something out in my game, tell me how it's bad/broken

I'm removing racial asis all together and giving everyone an array of 16/16/14/12/10/8 in order to encourage snowflakes avoid punishing non "optimal" race/class pairings. Everything else is the same. How screwed am I?
>>
>>51837262
>Also can't it be adapted to any of the generic "god of death, but not specifically evil death" gods from other settings?

Considering half the features are literal ravens, that'd be hard.
>>
>>51838510
I don't see any real flaws with this, if it's just the racial ASIs you're ditching. I'm a little curious how it's gonna go.
>>
>>51836808
I know from listening to the official D&D poscast that Chris Perkins has already written the next adventure book. He said things in Storm Kings Thunder will directly tie into the new one, so based on what we know, any ideas what it might be?
>>
File: kraken.jpg (71KB, 806x453px) Image search: [Google]
kraken.jpg
71KB, 806x453px
>>51838594
Yeah, I have a few ideas.
>>
>>51838510

I'd say it's less broken than the current system, but also has less flavor.

I should do something like that for Volo's races.
>>
File: tears man.png (6KB, 293x315px) Image search: [Google]
tears man.png
6KB, 293x315px
>>51838085
>tfw I acidentally clicked back before I got to rate Loremaster wizard
>tfw I can't voice my displeasure at Wizards getting everything and Sorcerers getting nothing
>>
>>51838184
Stop shilling your hot garbage
>>
File: 60.jpg (131KB, 640x1103px) Image search: [Google]
60.jpg
131KB, 640x1103px
The Hexblade is overpowered garbage that thematically demands the player take one specific pact boon and makes all the core Otherworldly Patron options less viable for Blade Pact by comparison. I said as much in the survey.

Is this a popular opinion, or flat-out wrong?
>>
I feel as though voulges are underrepresented
>>
>>51838635
>BAWW Why didn't Sorcerer's get anything from this Wizard update?
>>
>>51838720
Isn't that basically just a glaive?
>>
I hope you all mentioned the fact that the Curse Bringer Invocation works directly against the Hex Warrior feature!

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE MYSTIC?!?!?!
>>
>>51838689
Wow, anon, you're pretty retarded. I bet you're one of those people who hated Tome of Battle, because it "made fighters irrelevant".
>>
>>51838689
1. Why is it a problem that a HexBLADE gets massive utility from the BLADE pact? Besides, it's not like you're banned from using other weapons if you want to go chain, and remember that optimal≠viable.
2. How is it overpowered garbage? It's still a melee gish. The Paladin may be nice, but the stuff a Wizard or even a Sorcerer gets make that look like small potatoes. Having multiple ways to solve a problem>one really good way to solve a problem.
3. Blade Pact was widely considered garbage compared to tome or chain, this new class changes nothing.
>>
>>51838184
It's shit

You're shit

Are you the one that made the pugilist?
Because it's also absolute fuucking garbage
>>
>>51838689
Nah, you're wrong. Shadow Hound seems great for hunting down enemies, and the curse works better with EB than it does with pact weapons.
>>
>>51838725
More like
>Why did they give all the cool things that thematically fit a Sorcerer (which needs some help) to the Wizard (which needs zero help)?
>>
>>51838800
Yeah, they're both by "Benjamin PaintHuffman"
>>
>>51837058
It sounds like it's pretty standard stuff for fighting frost giants.

It sounds like your players will have a choice between going after these two giants. You should make their decision matter. If they chase after the giant going to town, then by the time they reach the ship, the boat should be ready to leave. Or the frost giants have laid a trap for the party (escaping or avoiding giant traps is great fun). And if they go after the giant headed for the ship, they find him and confront him, but immediately after are confronted by the giant carrying the cart of plunder.
>>
>>51838510
Shit for normal Humans
Fine if you allow Variant.
>>
>>51838814
Because it's WIZARDS of the coast you retard.
>>
>>51838783
Wasn't around for the 3e days, although from my perspective it seemed like a total shitshow for design decisions like that.

>>51838799
1. Because every Otherworldly Patron to-date has been agnostic as to which pact boon they favor. This means that each Otherworldly Patron has (or should have) three viable playstyles. Hexblade has 1, unless you take Hexblade for cheese and just Eldritch Blast all day.

2. Compare its first level feature to literally any other warlock first level. Holy shit, just look at it. Archfey gets a 1 round charm/fear. GOO gets telepathy. Hexblade gets Medium Armor AND shields AND martial weapons AND +Cha to 1-h melee damage AND the Curse, which gives double proficiency on attacks, crit range, and a feature that, by itself, is a near complete version of what the Fiend warlock already gets (substituting HP for tHP).

3. Actually compare it to core options. I'm not saying that Blade Pact doesn't need love, but making one class option that'd be essentially mandatory for any Blade Pact lock and saying TAKE THIS INSTEAD is just poor design.

>>51838806

Shadow Hound is great, don't get me wrong. I like that one and Armor of Hexes. The curse is still massively OP regardless of how you use it, though.
>>
>>51838909
IMO they're clearly Druids.
>>
>>51838720
I feel a lack of folding spetums.
>>
>>51837895
Mercer has friends and a career. He's also a hippie cuck who can't do math and lives on the opposite end of the country. Pretty sure I'm not him.

>>51838231
That's fair, but is 5eg's opinion any better? You guys are sperging out because WotC isn't feeding you the "master of all trades, jack of nothing" class.
>>
>>51838911
IMO all the probelms Wizards has in fixing options is because of their reluctance to improve options that have already come out. Getting them to fix ranger was like pulling teeth, and they stumbled twice before getting it right (IE looking out of their building and looking at the signs held up by the angry mob outside). Wot4E isn't getting any fixes soon, and Blade Pact isn't underpowered so much as Eldritch Blast is too good.
>>
>>51838814
Sorcerers got 4 archetypes in their UA, does that not count as help? I swear, you prancing snowflakes...
>>
>>51838911
Your problem seemed to be that you were unhappy with being "forced" to take pact of the blade with hexblade patron, which you then later said that it was overpowered with any pact boon. If the curse only worked with melee attacks would that be worse, or better for you? Would you prefer that further aspects of the curse were unlocked (increased crit range, regaining hp) were unlocked at higher levels?
Honestly I think it's fine, it can only be on one enemy at a time and for a quite short time mind you, and only once per short rest. Parties tend to have a few encounters between short rests,at least we do.
>>
>>51838979

Thing of it is, EB isn't really that much better. I made a spreadsheet a while back charting its progression vs Blade Pact, and it's pretty much spot-on until 17th level where the damage of EB spikes, and Blade Pact's doesn't.

The real problem with EB versus Blade Pact is twofold:

1) EB benefits from Hex much, much more. Additional attacks equal additional damage, and Blade Pact can't keep up without dipping a level into fighter to pick up Two-Weapon Fighting. Even then, EB beats out Blade Pact in the Hex damage game eventually.

2) Investment. You have to invest much, much more into Blade Pact to make it an effective option. Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker, and Armor of Shadows are all absolutely vital invocations for Blade Pact to take, versus the only invocation EB really requires, Agonizing Blast. This of course isn't including things like that one-level fighter dip and the fact that Blade Pact is fundamentally more MAD than either other option.
>>
>>51839059
Even if EB damage was somewhat lower, it would still be the superior option, since you don't need to be in the baddies' face to hit'em.
>>
File: abbadon_by_bpsola600_933.jpg (65KB, 600x933px) Image search: [Google]
abbadon_by_bpsola600_933.jpg
65KB, 600x933px
>>51839047
>If the curse only worked with melee attacks would that be worse, or better for you?

The curse shouldn't be available as a 1st level feature, at ALL. It's strictly better by itself than anything else ANY warlock Otherworldly Patron gets at first level. And that's not including the proficiencies Hexblade gets, which by themselves would be more than competitive with the likes of GOO's telepathy and Archfey's fear/charm.

I'd take the curse and make it an Invocation available to any Blade Pact warlock, functioning off of only weapon damage. That way, an Archfey bladelock can be just as viable as a GOO bladelock can be just as viable as anything else, really.

And yeah, I'd want to gate things like crit range to higher levels, too, but that strikes me as a lesser change than just making that cluster of overpowered garbage not available at first level.

Because if that exists, why WOULDN'T literally any melee class take a 1-level warlock dip?
>>
>>51839106
With the new invocations, you don't need to be in the baddies face to hit em now either. If you're a feylock. Which let's be honest, is the coolest warlock anyways.
>>
>>51838997
>Sorcerer UA releases
>Playing West Marches style game
>Ask DM if I can play a Stone Sorcerer as a new character because my Wizard is researching how to destroy corrupted primal animal god
>DM looks at all the Sorcerer stuff
DM
>Well I want sorcerers in my setting to be heavily tied to elemental stuff
Me
>Jumping for joy

>DM says he needs to think about it

Later...

>DM tells me that you can only play the first rendition of Favored Soul and you pick an elemental domain like Druids. Thats how Sorcerers work in his setting.
>I tell him I am no longer interested in playing a Sorcerer

It could always be worse.
>>
>>51839226
Tell your DM, on my behalf, that both him and his setting are fucking retarded.
>>
>>51839226
Dodged a bullet there.

Both the recent Stone Sorcerer and the first Favored Soul are burning garbage.
>>
>>51839226
Your DM is a faglord.
>>
>>51839277
>Stone sorcerer
>Bad
Pick one.
>>
>>51839137
> It's strictly better by itself than anything else ANY warlock Otherworldly Patron gets at first level. And that's not including the proficiencies Hexblade gets, which by themselves would be more than competitive with the likes of GOO's telepathy and Archfey's fear/charm.

Completely disagree. it's situationally better, but the GOO Charm is so useful in any number of situations that it's hard to say one is "strictly better" than the other. Part of the problem I feel is that the curse steals the Fiend Pact's 1st level feature and rolls it in, and at a high enough level, or with the curse bringer invocation (which why the hell would you not take it), you can even benefit from the temp HP multiple times.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that the weapon you get from curse bringer doesn't benefit from the bonuses granted by the first feature. I don't think they were going for a balance thing here, it seems like a straight oversight.

>>51838997
I guess it does, but most of those archetypes were so poorly made that I either wouldn't allow them (new favored soul), or can't imagine my players picking them, they're so fucking boring (stone sorcerer, and whatever the other not water one was, it's so boring I forgot its name). Water Sorcerers are fucking cool as fuck though, and totally where the sorcerer should be.
>>
>>51839226
But why? How is that in any way good?
>>
>>51839322
> but the GOO Charm is so useful in any number of situations

The GOO doesn't get a charm. GOO gets telepathy.

The Archfey's charm WOULD be useful, except it is limited in duration to one round. In a social situation, that's a charm that lasts for 6 seconds, making it more or less only really viable as a combat thing, and even then much less good than:

>Proficiency in Medium Armor, shields, AND martial weapons
>+Cha to 1-h melee damage
>double proficiency on attacks (Curse)
>crit range (Curse)
>almost exactly the fiendlock's 1st level feature

Like you said, it's objectively better than what the fiend gets, alone. That alone should make Wizards reconsider that design decision.

>curse bringer doesn't benefit from the bonuses granted by the first feature

Yeah. Crawford clarified in a tweet that this was working as intended, but it still FEELS like poor design. A invocation specific to a particular patron shouldn't directly invalidate part of that patron's kit.
>>
>>51839419
>Crawford clarified in a tweet that this was working as intended

Wasn't he the one who flipflopped more than John Kerry on whether kensai weapons counted as monk weapons?
>>
>>51839059
There's also the reason that EB is ranged and Blade Pact is melee, which matters a lot on a D8 hit die class with little survivablity.
>>
>>51839452
Wasn't aware he flip-flopped there. I only saw him pretty clearly state they weren't, necessarily.
>>
>>51839491
>>51839106

This is also true. That's why Armor of Shadows is a lot more mandatory for bladelocks than EB locks.

Fiendish Vigor too, now that I think about it, which kind of sucks because Tome and Chain locks are free to ponce around getting fun fluff stuff like Book of Ancient Secrets and Voice of the Chain Master.
>>
>>51839555
I've long felt that the bladelock, while able to compete in damage, lacked utility, which would be solved by giving it an additional 2 invocations at level 5, or making the vanilla invocations a normal part of the bladelock pact.
>>
>>51839603
Just turn Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker into one invocation (with the +CHA damage gated off till 12th level) and Armor of Shadows and Fiendish Vigor into one invocation.

This alone fixes the bladelock's utility problem.
>>
>>51837885
Or more likely Hobgoblin.
Kudos if your player does a half-decent Mark Hamill impression.

I personally considered doing that for a minor villain in my game.
>>
>>51839644
>straight combat/damage upgrades
>fix the utility problems

Please reread what you just wrote.
>>
>>51839750
>I don't understand how lumping 4 combat invocations into only 2 combat invocations frees up invocations for other things

I'm really not sure why you need basic math explained to you, but okay.
>>
>>51839581
That's the problem.
1. Counterspell isn't everywhere. If the DM finds you a problem and wants to make encounters harder, they can't sensibly put counterspells everywhere unless they just throw in lots of custom casters.
2. Even if they did throw in lots of counterspells, it'd be really cheap and boring.

Bladesingers still work fine if you allow level dips into fighter. It's just maybe not the only way to get good AC on the block, but it provides other benefits.

Still, I don't support level dips for heavy armour. I wouldn't allow a wizard to take a single level dip for armour, maybe give them light armour for one fighter level, medium armour +shields for two levels and heavy armour for a third level.

But paladin-sorcerer isn't a single level dip. It's usually 2 or 6 or maybe even as much as 11 levels. And even then, compared to wizard, sorcerer isn't all that great in the first place, so it's kinda fine to let them get away with a bit.
But still, I'd look at it more like a paladin taking a dip into sorcerer than a sorcerer taking a dip for armour.

I'm not entirely saying bladesinger is OP. I just think it's stupid. I'd rather DM for a proper wizard or someone who'd dedicated to the armour gimmick through a way susch as a race+feat combo, sacrificing int and such for armour instead of an interesting wizard school.
Or, they take 2/3 levels of fighter and sacrifice casting progression for some other things.
>>
>>51839770
"Oh, look, now I can have two extra damage invocations!"
>>
Is there such a thing as a "Gauntlets of Ogre Power" or "Amulet of Health" for charisma instead of STR or CON?
>>
Making an enemy for my party to face against, they are almost all ranged so I decided to match it. Thinking about giving him this:

>Greatbow
> Heavy, Two Handed, Loading
>Range 200/800
>D10, requires Strength to use.

Is the loading property enough? I really don't think they'll use it cause only one person has more than 13 Str.

Right now they are level 2, probably won't get killed by it, cause disadvantage cause of the range, but want to show it off at least.
>>
>>51839777

>Counterspell is in mages and liches

Well technically, Guardian Portrait also has it
>>
I was leaning into glaivelock for my next character, who is a Spawn-pastiche.

But is there any way of not being useless with unarmed or whip options as a bladelock? Or just stick to great weapon cheese if you do not wish to be a useless member of the party?
>>
>>51839770
that doesn't really help, because your balance change applies equally to the chain/tomelock, who can suddenly get fiendish vigor and armor of agathys at half price.
>>
/5eg/, what's your dream gish loadout?

No need to be the most effective, just something fun.

For me:
GOO Warlock 4-5 / EK 15-16 (depending on factors such as how many feats / invocations I want)

Heavy-armor toting EK that can EB and smite people with the Claw of Acamar. It just kind of sucks you can't use a flail with two hands, especially one that probably has like a 5ft long chain.

Also, having 2 regenerating level 2-3 spell slots gives some nice sustain, and of course they can be used for spells, too. Warlock gives the ability to use Arcane Focuses, so bye bye component pouch.

Sadly,
>UA multiclassing
so can't really do this. Even though it's only one or two of the extra invocations, so lenient GM:s would probably let me do something like this.
>>
I sent the devs a flurry of questions about mass combat last week, and they released this UA the next week. This is amazing. Right in time for my mass combat campaign!
>>
>>51839836
Max Charisma and talk to DM about invocations for them. Invocation to allow unarmed strikes to use Cha (with hexblade) and spawn some brass knuckles. Turns weapons into d4s.

Whip invocation could be to give the 2d8 and the target is grappled.
>>
File: 1415380869074.jpg (22KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1415380869074.jpg
22KB, 500x376px
>>51838385
High power game.
>everyone gets a feat
Low power game
>ban variant human

Debate me.
>>
>>51839820
Whether or not it's balanced, Loading doesn't really make sense for a bow.
>>
>>51839839
And that's okay. Those were optional for them anyway
>>
>>51839277
I like the earth/rock/stone theming. Always my favorite Element. I don't care about functionality. i wanted to beable to turn to stone and teleport around the battlefield, which i imagine as burrowing. I guess I want to be an anime.

>>51839375
>>51839295
>>51839260

He's altering a fair amount of stuff for his setting

All the "gods" in the setting are large primal beasts. Druids and warlocks worship/follow these.
But these gods will have saints associated with them. I think saints need to be dead to be a saint. Clerics and paladins worship/follow these.

There are, currently, no fiends or celestials in his setting. He told me "I haven't decided yet if I even want them in there"

All the Paladin's of a certain Oath are Paladins of a specific Order of Knights.
I think he's going to homebrew his own "Paladin Orders"
So i think, all the Devotion Paladins would be refluffed to a specific Order of Knights, so you'd never have Devotion Paladins of different Orders in the setting. If you want to be a Devo Pally you have to be a Knight of X Saint.

He wants the classes to be a specific thing, but I don't think he understands the things that make each class separate.

Paladins are my favorite class, bar none, in 5e. But I do not want to be part of an order of knights who serve/follow/worship a certain god.

The hilarious thing is, he complains about other players just coming to the table with pre-conceived character ideas that don't fit the setting. I made my character fit with the setting like a glove, but he continues to destroy the classes I like, Sorcerer and Paladin.
I made a wizard to fit with the group, and I don't really enjoy it, so when/if my Wizard dies or retires I'll probably just play a martial class and ignore most what he's reworking in his setting.

If that ever happens, i think i will enjoy the look on his face when I make a character who is just adventuring for fun and is mundane as fuck. Essentially Bilbo Baggins.
>>
>>51839877
Ban half elf too.
>>
>>51839836
So you haven't fixed the problem of the bladelock having an invocation tax compared to every other pact option. You've just slightly lowered the invocation tax.

I don't think I can put that any more directly.
>>
>>51839877
You hate humans.
>>
>>51839905
Not an argument.
>>
>>51839805
Sure, if you want that. You can also take shit like Repelling Blast and Eldritch Spear if you're an EB lock. Point is, it makes the Bladelock less pinned into having to take all four invocations or be anus. Instead, the invocation tax is only 2, and beyond that they can be more combat or more utility, whatever they feel like.

>>51839839
Armor of Shadows gives Mage Armor, not Armor of Agathys.

Yeah, it's a small buff for warlocks in general, but most tomelocks won't be interested in taking FV/AoS anyway. They might end up with a free invocation, but 9/10 bladelocks need both FV and AoS, and so lumping them together makes it distinctly easier for bladelocks in particular.
>>
>>51839808

This would actually be a big deal for me cuz I have a player trying really hard to make the knight thing work without having to Paladin
>>
Anons? Simple query: back in 4e, there were two variant strains/subraces of tiefling. Broken Mirrors of Levistus had the ability to induce potentially lethal bad luck on people. Blightseers of Baalzebuul had an entropic gaze that could wither people where they stood, making them more vulnerable to damage.

Since there are technically rules for doing tieflings as a subrace species, do you think these tiefling variants could be converted to 5e?
>>
>>51836840
what? these two are totally different

Battlesystem: Squads of, ideally, at least 20+1 vs 20+1 fighting each other or more, use nearly all default 5e rules and adds more, good for a crunchier 5e
Ass Combat: 400+ vs 400+
>>
>>51839923
Sure, at level 3, once per long rest, before an enemy makes a d20 roll, you may give them disadvantage on the roll.

The other one, at level 5, you use an action to weaken the target, Con save vs Charisma, the target attacks with disadvantage until the end of its next turn.
>>
>>51839923
Yes.
>>
>>51836808

>A BR gap of 20 or more makes a 400-man unit literally invulnerable

400 Orcs can kill an infinite number of Goblins. Even if the Goblins all pull out bows and start raining arrows, the Orcs will never take a single casualty.
>>
>>51839878
It's a heavy bow, plus I'm trying to even out the extended range and heightened damage dice
>>
>>51839808
>>51839920

Seriously? Guys, just make an item that says Charisma is 19.

Here, i'll make it for you.

Codpiece of Nobility
Wondrous Item, Rare (Requires Attunement)
1 lb.

Your Charisma score is 19 while you wear this amulet. It has no effect on you if your Charisma score is already 19 or higher without it.
>>
Speaking or race homebrewing, do you think 5e could handle a non-standard body config race, like a playable centaur, lamia, naga or sphinx?

>>51840009
Interesting... would you have them give up Fire Resistance to gain either of those traits?
>>
>>51840042
>while you wear this amulet

The actual best part is how painfully obvious it is you copy/pasted from Amulet of Health.
>>
>>51837417
>shit abilities

how are they shit, compared to archfey fiend and goo?
>>
>>51840064
Yeah to even it out, but I was thinking removal of infernal legacy. Don't need spellcasting AND those.
>>
>>51840032
Personally, I'd say it makes sense. It's a bigass bow and it takes a lot of effort to pull the string back.

I'm not sure if I'd use it in my home game, but it seems like having only one shot fired per turn does a lot to cancel out the utility the bow gains from using STR.
>>
>>51840066
You're lucky I noticed that it said Constitution twice.
>>
>>51840064
>Speaking or race homebrewing, do you think 5e could handle a non-standard body config race, like a playable centaur, lamia, naga or sphinx?

Sure, but I wouldn't recommend them for play unless you had an all monstrous party.
>>
>>51840091
I see. You'd consider them more a variant racial trait (ala the SCAG's Winged, Hellfire and Devil's Tongue) traits than a full-fledged subrace, ala the Abyssal Tiefling (UA: That Old Black Magic)?
>>
Is there anything a bard with level 5 bard can do against magic resistant creatures that isn't just hoping they roll terribly? It seems like everything I can do requires a save, there are no spell attacks. All my buffs also seems like they require concentration. Help a retarded first time player out.
>>
>>51840064
Are you referring to lamias as half snakes and nagas as fish people with snake tails?
>>
>>51840183
Not as a bard, other classes can do that, but your power comes from your huge spell list, not making the spells you cast better.

You kind of have to hope for the best or they gain some kind of condition that impedes them.
>>
>>51840032
>It's a heavy bow
Nocking and drawing an arrow still doesn't take long enough to justify the Loading property. It's used for things that take literally several seconds to load.

>>51840190
>/tg/
Yes, and also half naked
>>
>>51840183
You should have taken level 5 wizard on your bard instead.

Heat metal
>>
>>51840066

Well, yes, obviously, but I'm trying to keep this as much within rails as possible.

The Knight and Purple Dragon Knight archetypes exist, and Rogue over there has Swashbuckler, so there must be a way to make a high charisma fighter somewhat viable.
>>
I want my campaigns big bad to secretly be a Rakshasa.

Is the thing about their palms being reversed true for all their disguises? I wanna know how well I should hide his hands and/or set relevant DC checks to notice his hands are weird if he slips up.
>>
>>51840183
Cloud of Daggers.
>>
>>51839897
What's the problem with half elf?
>>
>>51840260
I hate to break it to you but 5th edition has the name Lamias as a half lion people with enchantment spells in deserts.

Nagas are actual snakes with humanoid faces and are very powerful.

On the plus side, refluff Yuan-Ti Pureblood and you can make a Yuan-Ti Malison with a snake lower half and no shame.

And yes I know it doesn't make as much sense bow wise but I want to balance out the longer range and higher damage dice.
>>
>>51839375
He thinks the biggest issues Sorcerers suffer from is a lack of known spells. So just add X amount per level is a bit of a fix.
He also wants the sorcerers in his setting to be strictly themed to a specific element.
I told him
>You have Stone, Storm, Sea, and Phoenix. Which can represent Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire.

He said that reworking the first rendition of Favored Soul was more what he wanted. I think it is stupid. There's no variety there.
If 2 people played Sorcerers in the group, our group is 7 people so it is possible (We have 2 warlocks), they would almost be the same.
Where as a Stone Sorcerer and a Storm Sorcerer would almost seem like different classes.
>>
We fought a bunch of oozes last night and my DM said that because they had such low intelligence they were completely immune to my psychic damage (Awakened Mystic). Is there any sort of precedent for that? It basically made me completely useless the entire combat.
>>
>>51840327
Yes, 3e.
>>
>>51840311
By the numbers, half-elf and vuman are the most powerful core races.
>>
>>51840311
+4 total to stats, advantage on a common school of magic, can't be put to sleep and 2 skills. It's a lot.

There is also a case for mountain dwarf but not really.
>>
File: 1479527145928.jpg (41KB, 511x644px) Image search: [Google]
1479527145928.jpg
41KB, 511x644px
>>51838635
>Fill out most of survey in uni, class ends so I pack it up halfway through Loremaster comments
>Get home, open it up, submit button fails
>Bum roommate didn't pay the internet bill and after I get it back up the survey claims to have been submitted
Damnit, those cucks on Reddit or wherever the hell else people talk about this game better be protesting this shit too.
>>
>>51840353
if half elf's +4 to stats makes you cuckold for cuckoo puffs, non-v-human must make you go bananas

gnome is almost certainly better, they get the +2 to a class stat plus advantage on mental saves, which is way better than just magical charm garbage
>>
>>51840346
Is there any precedent in 5e?
>>
>>51839905
In my experience the Standard human is pretty great if you're rolling for stats.
>>51839913
This has got to be the first time I've ever seen this used where it would matter whether or not the response was an argument. Neat.
>>
>>51840389
nope
>>
>>51840389
No. The DM made an on the spot houserule solely to make you feel useless.
>>
>>51840388
No hate for human cause that +6 total and a language is literally all they get. No skills no saves no nothing else.

And the downside of gnome is you have to be a gnome.
>>
>>51840327
My DM does a similar thing.

If you cast Sanctuary, beasts and other things that do not attack out of hate or malice are immune to its effects.
>>
Here's hoping they read my comment about how Pact of the Blade needs the UA Beastmaster treatment, rather than a hotfix like Hexblade.

I said nothing about the Mystic because it really doesn't interest me that much, but I don't think y'all are unjustified in your saltiness over it.
>>
>>51840404
Great.

>>51840441
It wouldn't be the first time. I'm still not happy about the driftglobe incident...
>>
>>51840442
>is literally all they get. No skills no saves no nothing else.

True, but that's a damn good trade right there.
>>
>>51840463
Hexblade and Pact of the Blade are totally different things.
>>
>>51840327
There is nothing in the PHB or DMG that suggests psychic damage results SOLELY from "mental anguish" or the notion that only entities with brains or nervous systems (of sufficient complexity) can feel it.

The Mystic can knock people backwards with the force of its psionic results. That may well be interpreted as a "non-Force Force damage" the same way that Thunder is a "non-Bludgeoning Bludgeoning damage", or Force itself is a "non-Acid/Fire/Electric Acid/Fire/Electric damage".

Psions would be pretty fucking worthless if we say their damage can't do anything to "dumb" creatures (animals) or things without living brains (undead, constructs, elementals).
>>
>>51839820
It's easily weaker than a +1 longbow with a slight bit of extra range, and not even a good choice for a dex fighter or rogue when crossbow expert exists to give bonus action hand crossbow attacks.
Doesn't really need the loading property, therefore.
The problem isn't dex people using it as a better longbow - the problem is strength people using it as a better back-up weapon (instead of thrown weapons).
>>
>>51840513
What he's saying is that Pact of the Blade sucks, and their way of fixing it was to just make a whole Patron centered around it, rather than fixing the pact itself.
>>
>>51840456
It really sucks because Lethal Strike and Thought Spear were really my only two ways of dealing damage and, since they can't be charmed, making them immune literally took away any ability I had to do anything even remotely effective. I basically had to get eaten by an ooze and just repeatedly heal myself until the party killed it.
>>
>>51840513
True, but they're clearly designed to work together. Hexblade fixes a lot of the issues with Blade pact (low AC, low melee ability, MAD), but it dodges the underlying problem (Bladepact is still bad).
>>
File: 11.jpg (315KB, 958x1400px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
315KB, 958x1400px
First time DMing in 5e here, could use some advice.

My players have been escorting a prisoner to a particular city, with a few hiccups along the way, and it's been my intention to have the last leg of their journey turn into a high speed chase on horseback as dozens of rebels trying to free the prisoner show up trying to run them down on the plains. Is there a recommended way of doing this besides using minion rules?

Thus far I've actually been pretty tough on them in terms of encounter design, so I'd like this to be more of a cool victory lap moment in disguise as they fight off dozens of raiders while racing to make it to the city gates.
>>
>>51840536
Correction, their way of fixing it was to add invocations for it across different patrons.

Pact of the Blade is certainly no worse than Chainlock ("you get a CR 1 gremlin that the DM would probably let you have via find familiar anyway") and winds up with Oathbreaker tier damage, and is likely the only character who will ever be able to have a magical polearm using a printed adventure.
>>
>>51840456
>>51840540
Also that's such a weird ruling by your DM. I can sort of understand why my DM did what he did to some extent (wanting to make the encounter more difficult and/or conflating low INT with not being affected by psionics) but there's nothing about Sanctuary that needs a home rule like that.
>>
File: 1460494873141.jpg (221KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1460494873141.jpg
221KB, 1024x1365px
>Have had an idea for a character that is an ex-pirate captain, abandoned to die in the sea but scored a sweet gig with Umberlee to be her paladin/cleric and bring her wrath ashore, fights with the crusty old anchor (warpick) of his ship he dragged to the depths with him
>SCAG comes out and I get fucked because "lol only 5 gods have paladins in FR :)"
>Warlock UA gives me new hope for being a pact-y martial with some magic tricks
>Hexblade is pretty damn broken and right out
>Raven Queen would be great (but with a parrot instead) but she doesn't get a Blade pact invocation
>GOO is a fitting patron to be lifted from the depths from, and their reach-flail invocation would work well, but they get fuckall for combat utility in their pact features
>Fey could also work, even has the Sea Twins invocation, but their weapon invocation is a bow
>Fiend has a good weapon invocation and features and works well enough as a potential patron, but spells are all fire related
>Undying is left in the dust
Yo ho ho and a bottle of fuck me
>>
Would this be too powerful?

A green clarinet, you can use your action to play it, causing a targeted humanoid to spend their next action performing a dance and revealing an embarrassing secret about themselves. If they do not feel embarrassed about anything, this has no effect.
>>
>>51840686
No save? Seems broken as hell.
>>
What is the proper alignment for a crusader/inquisitor style paladin? Is firmly on the side of justice, hammurabi, eye-for-an-eye style, and hunts undead/criminals, but doesn't have any qualms about smiting heretics/non believers as well.
>>
>>51840624
>SCAG comes out and I get fucked because "lol only 5 gods have paladins in FR :)"

Can't you ignore this part of the fluff? Is your DM that stuck up with Forgotten Realms lore?
>>
>>51840735
Lawful Neutral
>>
>>51840735
Lawful.
>>
>>51840591
>Pact of the Blade is certainly no worse than Chainlock ("you get a CR 1 gremlin that the DM would probably let you have via find familiar anyway")
>gaining anything that's not a beast via find familiar
>saying a perma-invisible shapeshifting scout isn't useful

>and winds up with Oathbreaker tier damage
>strictly inferior to just using eldritch blast at all levels

>and is likely the only character who will ever be able to have a magical polearm using a printed adventure.
OK, you got me there.
>>
>>51840705
What would be an appropriate save? Wisdom or Charisma?

>>51840624
Why can't you just be a paladin of umberlee? it sort of seems like you're disregarding the fluff of the pacts, but treating the no paladins except for these 5 gods fluff as sacred.

Anyways, you don't need a weapon invocation to be good at combat as a bladelock. You just need to take polearm master. The weapon invocations that allow smiting are completely broken right now.
>>
>>51840388
>Advantage on mental saves
Not being a piece of shit Yuan-ti that may as well literally be 'Gnome: But Better'
>>
>>51840735

>but doesn't have any qualms about smiting heretics/non believers as well.

What does that even mean? If everyone outside your religion is a target, then Chaotic Evil seems most likely.
>>
>>51840786

>Not being a piece of shit Yuan-ti that may as well literally be 'Gnome: But Better'

Other than the fact that gnome has advantage on mental saves, while the yuan ti only has advantage on magical saves?
>>
>>51839644
>Buff combat
>This fixes utility
Wat?
>>
>>51840864
Gnome has advantage on mental saves against magic specifically. Not that there are many non-magical saves of that type, if any at all.

Not to mention if I recall right Yuan-ti get immunity to poison, to one-up stout halflings and dwarfs.
>>
>>51840624
Just because they're the only ones with paladins recognized as paladins doesn't mean they're the only ones with paladins.
I mean, fuck, SCAG also introduced Oath of the Crown. Obviously not all Paladins are "paladins" in setting or narrative terms.
>>
>>51840874
Combined combat invocations = you can take more utility invocations.
>>
Lore Help: Where do Necromancers draw their power from? i.e compacts, deities, energies, etc.
>>
>>51840914
Well shit, you're correct.

>if any at all

Most int saves are nonmagic for example, fear effects are generally nonmagic. But yeah, good catch.
>>
>>51840312
Acually, the snake-bodied lamia does traditionally exist in D&D; they call it the Lamia Noble, and it's been around since 1st edition. Problem is it had no artwork in AD&D 2e book, where it was a sidebar in the Lamia entry, and didn't show up in 3.5 until the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits adventure, so, yeah, it's obscure.
>>
>>51840958
Lamia nobles are dope
>bare tittays
>spells
>snek
>>
>>51840874
>fuck thinking or reading replies, that's for chumps

Well okay.
>>
>>51839820
>Bow
>Loading
Remove loading imo.

Also I would give it 2d6 rather than d10. It's a GREATbow not a versatile bow.
>>
>>51837186
You really think WoTC is going to bother making nine spells of each level just for wizzymen?
>>
>>51840948
Traditionally? Studying magic and how it interacts with the energies of life, death and undeath. 4e talked a lot about manipulating necrotic energy and how it interacts with the body, animus and soul to create undead, but I don't recall similar treatment in past editions, beyond AD&D's "Complete Book of Necromancers".

https://dnd.rem.uz/Advanced%20D%26D%20%28unsorted%29/The%20Complete%20Book%20of%20Necromancers.pdf
>>
>>51840952
I would say most fear effects are magical. This isn't quite dark heresy or something, and adventurers need more than something terrifying looking to set them on edge. I imagine draconic fear is magical, given how sorcerers can invoke it like a magical ability. I mean, draconic sorcerers aren't exactly full, real scary dragons, after all.

But, yes, I still hate yuan-ti.
>>
>>51841056
>I would say most fear effects are magical

They aren't.

>I imagine draconic fear is magical

It lists what things are and aren't magic.
>>
File: tsochar_puppet_by_josic-d51yzud.jpg (79KB, 400x902px) Image search: [Google]
tsochar_puppet_by_josic-d51yzud.jpg
79KB, 400x902px
Are tsochar menacing enough to make into the BBEG of the campaign or are they better of as a sidestory at best?

Wanna do some spooky fucky cosmic shit in my next campaign and I'm looking for villains.
>>
File: 1450643601770.jpg (178KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1450643601770.jpg
178KB, 680x510px
>>51840757
It's me more than anything, it was just a discouraging fact.
>>51840776
I wouldn't disregard the fluffs of the pacts. The Sea Twins could be a suitable fey savior, any number of GOOs down in the unfathomable depths as well, or making a fiendish pact as a last ditch effort. Undying, Davy Jones or something. The only fluff I'd demand change would be if I was going to do Raven Queen. It's too classic, it'd have to be a parrot.
>>51840921
This is accurate.

In any case, I'm forever DM, so it's just another lament of a half-finished concept I've got in an overflowing folder of them. Maybe a character I'll run if my friend and I ever get our co-DM homebrew setting together, or something my zombified husk will take to adventurer's league if my soul leaves my body and I become that desperate.
>>
>>51841014
>versatile bow
>bow that can be used either one- or two-handed
Anon, please.

>>51840948
Same as other wizards desu.
>>
>>51841151
>>51841056
Also, if you do in fact have the burning need to make yuan ti etc. more powerful than normal, that's fine. But I think its intentional that stuff like berserker rage based fear immunity have its uses.
>>
Does anyone have an uploaded version of Heroes of the Spiderwood, or know of a site I can use to upload it as a single image?
>>
Make sure you take the survey to inform crawford and mearls how incompetent they are. Last UA had some interesting ideas for warlocks, but lacked even basic sanity checking, and the wizard was probably the most imbalanced thing they've ever released. They just took a giant shit on sorcerer and bard players.
>>
>>51839820
So, a +1 Longbow except it doesn't get the +1 bonus to hit, has a strength requirement, and has a 33% extended range which will likely never see the light of day since encounters are typically close quarters at worst or involve cover within 200 yards at best?
>>
>>51840020
It's probably intended that nat 20s still are auto hits and crits as it is an attack role.
>>
>>51840274
I don't think they're gonna be using much metal, I believe they're mostly beasts. I did take it though.
>>
So I want to make a dwarf valor bard who bangs on his shield with his sword to mark a rhythm while he sings old dwarvish army songs, from his times as a soldier.

What do I take in terms of feats, spells and so on to minimize the complete lack of synergy between my race and class choices?
>>
>>51840776
>save
Wisdom. Charisma saves are used against teleportation and emprisonment.
>>
>>51841251
Force the metal on them. Give your fighter a metalic spear, and tell him to impale the creatures with it. Or wrap some in chains.
>>
>>51841151
>>51841181
It's easier to just not allow yuan ti or to tone them down.

That said, it seems absurd how a dragon can choose not to frighten targets.

It can choose to specifically only frighten one party member. That reeks of magic, to be honest.

A ghost's horrifying visage also ages targets, yet nowhere does it specifically specify that it's a magical effect.

Then, there are effects like a lich's frightening gaze. I imagine that simply looking at a target alone isn't enough to scare them - they have to actually take the legendary action to scare targets, and it only works against one target.

I think some player options like berzerker's rage are probably non-magical by the looks of it, but honestly a lot of MM frighten effects seem to hint at magic, even if it doesn't specifically say it's magical.
>>
>>51836868
>>51838635
>Hey should we give sorcerers something unique
>Nah let's just take away meta-magic from all the other casters

>Hey look a cool new wizard tradition
>Nah let's just whine for it to go to sorcerers

Why are sorcerers so committed to taking other classes toys?
>>
Has anyone had any experience using the 'Gritty Realism' rules for resting? For those that don't know, it turns short rests into 8 hours and long rests into a week. To me, it seems like it just gimps long-rest casters since they don't have a lot of staying power over such a broad period, especially if they don't have any spellslot refreshing on a short rest.
>>
>>51841170
Well, I would just ignore FR fluff and roll with a Paladin of Umberlee. Fluff restrictions like that don't bring anything good to the game.
>>
File: 1466451617966.jpg (408KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1466451617966.jpg
408KB, 850x1133px
>>51841252
The only feat you aught to consider is Warcaster, unless your DM will allow you to cast using your dwarven shield gong (canon thing) for material and somantic components.
You need to get your Cha up, really, since that dictates not only spell saves and some healing effectiveness but your number of Bardic Inspiration Dice. At level 4 get your Cha up to 16. If you start with a 15 in it, you can take Actor to bump it up to 16 and get a bonus to pretending to be someone else. I once used it for a bard that copied the playing styles of others.
>>
>>51841275
"Magic" in 3e is synonymous with "supernatural."
"Magic" and "supernatural" mean two different things in 5e.
In late 2e, antimagic didn't permeate a monster's body, so touch ranged effects that seem supernatural did still get conveyed. In 3e, it doesn't, and in 5e, plenty of blatantly supernatural effects aren't definable as magic.
>>
>>51840624
>GOO is a fitting patron to be lifted from the depths from, and their reach-flail invocation would work well, but they get fuckall for combat utility in their pact features
>fuckall combat utility
>Grasp of Hadar flavoured as dragging people with a motherfucking spectral harpoon
>not flavourful AND useful
>>
>>51841304
Well, it means stuff like animate dead and forbiddance are completely fucked, which may be desirable.
>>
>>51841302
Can you give me one reason to even play a sorcerer if lore wizard is allowed in its current form?
>>
>>51840776
>appropriate save?

This looks like a good place to start.

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Otto's_Irresistible_Dance

Adding a WIS save upfront might start to balance the extra features/utility if your item vs. a 6th spell slot. Still asking for abuse though.

My asshole dwarf bard would definitely abuse it anyway.
>>
File: 1483202006544.jpg (137KB, 784x700px) Image search: [Google]
1483202006544.jpg
137KB, 784x700px
>>51841302
Could it be that one of their former greatest strengths, spontaneous casting, is no longer so since all classes function that way? And perhaps that they fall behind both the other charisma fullcaster and their sister class wizard in spells known, and utility, spell list, and even behind the wizard in combat spells or even number of spells daily?
Metamagic has been shifted to being the core feature of sorcerers, and it's shit beyond two common uses that you get a very limited number of each day. Why shouldn't we complain when the wizard, who already does literally everything better except being able to doublecast, gets a playtest of Metamagic++?
>>
>>51841304
The intent is for it to be used with the exact same expected encounters/rests as with standard expectations (6-8 per long rest, 1-3 per short rest), if implemented well and in the right group it should improve balance from "we get one encounter per long rest max and lr casters are comparatively too strong" to "actual balance is being vaguely followed"
>>
>>51841256
oh, and emotion changing. calm emotions for instance.
https://open5e.com/Spellcasting/spells_a-z/c/calm-emotions.html
>>
>>51841340
Granted, that's good, and I hadn't thought of it.
On the other hand, that means I've got to contend with item interaction rules unless I dump into Warcaster (because I will in all likelihood still be taking a Fighter level for medium armor, a shield, and mariner for that full defense an imposing beefy pirate aught to have) and I can't hope to catch them with the weapon unless they try to retreat and I burn my reaction for an OA. I was hoping to not need to take EB thanks to these new toys, so he could fight down in the grit.
>>
>>51841252
Which dwarf ?

Tbh I don't think you can find synergy and I think you should max CHA and DEX, your CON bonus is pretty good for a melee caster.

Consider shield master or heavily armored but it will nit be on par with a half elf maxi g charisma bard.
>>
>>51841180
a versatile crossbow could exist, except there's no reason for it to do more damage with two hands.

But hand crossbows are onehanded, and normal are two, so something in-between that's versatile is a lot more sensible than a one-handed normal bow.
>>
>>51838007
>>51836991
All I feel is rage
>>
File: 1459281125416.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1459281125416.png
230KB, 640x360px
>>51841462
>Not using megaanon 5e tools
>>
>>51841503
and being a crossbow would make sense why it has the loading quality too.

Are we sure this isn't a Great CROSSbow?
>>
>>51841217
Wizard had potential outside of the elemental-swapping that every retarded homebrewer is now copying. Hexblade was a step in the right direction, and the invocations were mostly decent and long overdue.
Whatever's actually released won't have it, and College of Glamour will go back to being the sexiest UA archetype to date.

>>51841228
No, it's an opposed check. Besides, "hit" and "miss" are both meaningless terms in this context, because neither is a potential result.
>>
>>51841524
What?
>>
>>51841548
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html#calm%20emotions
>>
>>51841269
>knock a bear unconscious
>fighter and paladin both strip down
>they pile their armor on top of the bear
>everyone else tosses their weapons onto the pile
>then all the chains, mess kits, pitons, shovels, and crowbars get tossed in too
>Heat Metal on the giant pile
>Enjoy your succulent roasted bear dinner
>>
File: 1454910473279.jpg (51KB, 492x557px) Image search: [Google]
1454910473279.jpg
51KB, 492x557px
>>51841548
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

It's in the OP
>>
>>51841217
>bard players.

Man, Lore Bard is lightning in a bottle. I get why they didn't come up with too many options
>>
>>51841331
I suppose. But the wordings aren't entirely clear.

For example, 'ki' is mentioned somewhere to be magical, but is it really? If it was disrupted by an antimagic field, wouldn't it kill beings, or can beings live without ki?

In general, there doesn't seem to be an incredibly obvious way to define something as magic other than the word 'magic' showing up somewhere, which doesn't always seem to happen, or it having something to do with a spell.

Not to mention, I don't think it tends to mention a lot about 'supernatural' being much distinct from 'magic', but I suppose you can often say 'This is another world, so there might be some non-mundane effects that still aren't technically magic'

Does sound like it's up to the DM a lot of the time, really, since a lot of things have grey areas, even if some are obviously magic and some are maybe fairly clearly supernatural.
>>
>>51841367
>>51841410
I'm not saying sorcerer isn't under-powered compared to wizard, just that metamagic, the ONLY core feature of sorcerer besides spell casting isn't even original, just taken away from other classes.
And now when a rather good (except for spell secrets that's blatantly OP) arcane tradition is released people want sorcerer to drag down wizard because sorcerer is shitily designed.
Oh and they get sorcerous restoration at 20th level but that's bland as fuck too.
5e sorcerer is designed into a corner where all its identity has to come from its bloodline.
>>
>>51838558
It'd be easier than you would think. Ravens are commonly associated with death and the passing of souls in all sorts of cultures and mythologies.
>>
>>51841482
well, valor is a front lines-kind of stabby caster, so the dwarven con bonus /is/ nice.

The +2 to strength and medium armor proficiency would be nice for a gish, but that said, extra HP is nice too, It's essentially giving you +4 in con, minus the
save.

Kinda depends on whether you're going for finesse or strength, and whether bards get medium proficiency already.

>>51841524
can I link to entries that? no? then step off.
>>
tell me about tsochars you silly fucks

I want my players to actually be afraid of something
>>
>>51841643
>whether bards get medium proficiency

Valor Bard only gets medium armor prof
>>
>>51841643
>can I link to entries that?
Yes, actually.
>>
>>51841643
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html#calm%20emotions
Yes.
>>
>>51836808
didn't they already do a UA on mass combat? Like, as one of the first ones? Or is this like ranger and mystic where it's a revisit, now with updates and rebalances?
>>
>>51841643
Valor bard does already gets medium armor proficiency at lvl 3, so maybe the extra HP would be preferable.
>>
>>51841669
It's a revisit that is much simpler but has some pretty glaring flaws (like Battle Rating bonuses being stupidly high and numbers overpowering groups at all times unless the groups are very close).
>>
>>51841669
They did, and I used it a couple of times. This one isn't an update/rebalance, it's a completely new take on the same concept, and it's a LOT more simple and abstract (which may be a good or a bad thing).
>>
>>51841669
>>51837023
The new one is mass-ier.

ALSO COMPLETELY POINTLESS
>>
>>51841643
How can your first reply make sense and your second reply be so retarded ?

Also valor bard already get medium armor prof so the dwarf feature prof is useless. The dwarf weapon training is useless too because of rapiers.
>>
>>51840772
honestly the owl is all you need. Flyby combined with good movement means it can constantly help action and escape enemy attacks, meaning you can just give allies or yourself advantage on your first attack a round for the low low cost of copying down a ritual, an hour, and 10gp.
>>
What classes best suit a Drow (or Half-Drow) character?
>>
>>51841367
There isn't a damn reason. Sorcerer is in a bad place right now and shit like loremaster just makes them more obsolete. Wizard is my favorite class but I just feel so bad for sorcerer players.
>>
>>51836991
I'm actually getting angry about this just because they keep breaking promises.
>>
File: elfmad.png (310KB, 421x373px) Image search: [Google]
elfmad.png
310KB, 421x373px
>>51841836
>there won't be a Sohei at all
>Immortal will be a Fighter subclass
>>
>>51841781
Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard.
>>
>>51841781
Stat wise I am sure a big guy like you can figure it out.

Lore wise if it's a surface drow good guy hi ding from surfacers rogue is good. Druid if he lives in a wood. If it's a underdark drow they are fighter, clerics and mages (I'd say wizard for PC) usually.
>>
File: Ghaunadaur_symbol.png (35KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
Ghaunadaur_symbol.png
35KB, 233x233px
>>51841781
GOOlock of Ghaunadaur.
Smash the Matriarchy, Men Go The Aberrant Way.
>>
>>51841781
Anything that keys off charisma. So bard, paladin, sorcerer, warlock.
If you take the devil sight invocation as a lock you can see through the magical darkness that you can cast as your racial feature, but I'm thinking a trickery paladin of Lolth might be cooler.
>>
>>51837262
>warlock
>gods
That's a cleric, boy.
>>
>>51840938
You can take utility invocations to begin with. What stops a player from picking more combat invocations?
>>
>>51841781
>Half-Drow
How would that even look? Drow have coal black skin, so whoever the kid is would probably look strange.
>>
File: 1471073621261.gif (87KB, 192x197px) Image search: [Google]
1471073621261.gif
87KB, 192x197px
>tfw constantly make jokes about Mystic getting delayed as bait
>tfw Wizards keeps one-upping me by ACTUALLY delaying mystic
>>
>>51841852
It never made any sense for the psionic equivalent of a sorcerer and the psionic equivalent of a monk to be the same class in the first place. Calm down.

>>51841910
Lorewise, like other half-elves but grayish.
>>
>>51841852
>>51841935
Didn't mearls confirm that they won't do that?
>>
>>51836808
I like that pyromancer sorceror origin.

doubt it makes up for sorceror's general inferiority though, does it...?
>>
>>51840990
True. Seems somebody already called you out on your "let's make the invocation tax more mandatory" fix.

Especially when combining a utility and a combat invocation instead of 2 combat invocations makes 10x more sense...
>>
What the fuck is a Sohei and why does it sound like Kitsune tier bullshit?
>>
>>51841982
Its no more kitsune-tier bullshit than monk, really.
>>
>>51841956
Not at all. It's honestly pretty shit, and you'd be better off going dragon
>>
File: latest.jpg (8KB, 200x130px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
8KB, 200x130px
Help. I need some ideas for a Young Red Dragon's servants/minions. He lives in an old and forgotten temple on a rock mountain. I already have kobolds in the road to the temple but once inside I want at least one or two new enemy races. Any ideas? Maybe some old monks that are protecting the temple and dont see the dragon as a treat to the place?
>>
>>51841935
Honestly, I'd prefer a return to the days of 4e where Monks WERE the psychic monk.

Ki points, psionic points, whats the difference?
Reached through self-perfection, reached through self-perfection, what's the difference?

Monk is clearly the psionic warrior class.
>>
>>51841909
The point was that playing an efficient bladelock almost pretty much requires taking several invocations, meaning you can't take as many utility invocations.

Combining necessary combat invocations frees up space to take more utility ones.

Ironic, this is coming from a player who has taken only one bladelock invocation, due to having a ranged bladelock option (Made a crossbow-bladelock before the UA came out)
>>
>>51841946
I was replying to >>51841836 saying "they keep breaking promises".

>>51841935
What are you on about? Neither Sohei (Divine Monk, the proto-Sacred Fist) or Immortal are anything like Sorcerers. And there's not going to be any calming-down, because making "the fighting Psion" archetype into a "psionic Fighter archetype" is as much a shit idea as EK turned out to be. WotC can't do martials-as-caster gishes and rolling Immortal into Fighter as they previously planned would kill the whole thing.
>>
rate my houserule

Every 10~15 rounds spent fighting, every one has to make a constitution saving throw or gain a level of exhaustion
>>
>>51842007
Buxom young wenches who have been entranced by his enormous reptilian cock and trained as warrior-wives to help guard his treasure while he's out hunting.
>>
File: Aberration.jpg (22KB, 299x223px) Image search: [Google]
Aberration.jpg
22KB, 299x223px
>>51842007
>some old monks that are protecting the temple and dont see the dragon as a treat to the place?
Maybe make them mutated, kinda like mongrelfolk, but with draconic body parts?
>>
>>51842068
What kind of campaign are you running that combat encounters last 10 rounds?
>>
>>51841982
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%8Dhei

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sohei/

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sohei
>>
>>51842068
>ha ha let's make a houserule that will penalize wizards because they have lower Con scores but oh wait, failure actually sucks far worse for the martials and will only encourage out-of-combat solutions to fights (like dropping the roof on a bunch of enemies instead of fighting them all) which the casters are once again the best at doing
it's shit
abort, abort, abort
>>
>>51842068
>every 10 rounds
>a level 8 fighter
>runs out of breath out in a 1 minute of fighting
it's shit, kys
>>
>>51842041
I agree, really. Equating ki and psionics was a great idea. Except now they want to make psionics weird 5D dickery for some reason, and monk doesn't qualify anymore.

>>51842066
I was saying the Immortal was the psionic equivalent of a monk, dipshit.
>>
>>51842119
>Has never fought before
In my fencing club, we had a 1.5-minute dueling exercise called the "Meat Grinder." No one did it twice in one day.
>>
>>51842154
Not only is that wronger than saying they're a Sorcerer, but it makes the comparison between Sohei and Sorcerer even more absurd.

The only thing Monks and Immortals have in common is they train their bodies, but every martial-type does that.
>>
>>51842119

combat is exhausting man. It burns calories like nothing else in the world. 2 minutes is what most people can handle
>>
>>51842102
Not >>51841982, but personally, I'm not sure why that would be need to be a psionic subclass. It'd probably be a more accurate name for the Samurai from December's Fighter UA, even considering how it's been represented in other games.
>>
>>51841609

This is even more funny because Ki isn't magical either. Unless otherwise specified, dragons and monstrosities are all natural, nonmagical creatures.
>>
>>51842170
I bet you can't even kill three goblins solo IRL
Pathetic
continue, i expect this to be the new Good Genes
>>
>>51842200
No thank you, I have better things to do than argue with armchair blademasters.
>>
>>51842154
>Except now they want to make psionics weird 5D dickery for some reason
I'm actually of the opinion that 5E's flavor for psionics is the best we've had yet. There's actually a REASON that you can think the universe into a different shape.
>>
>>51842110
>will only encourage out-of-combat solutions to fights

sounds good to me actually. Martials and other experienced fighters in my parties are expected to command an lead their allies, especially the more academically / artistically minded ones in battle.

If a wizard drops a fireball on the roof, it's usually at a Battlemaster's bequest
>>
Anons? Quick query: given that 5e Paladins are closer to 4e's "Martial Champions of the Gods" interpretation than the "Must Always Be Lawful Good" chivalric romance pastiches of editions past, would you consider a Paladin of a desire & pleasure god that's basically a softcore (Chaotic Neutral instead of Chaotic Evil) Slaanesh to be valid?

Before you answer, keep in mind that in 4e, you could have Paladins of Sune, Faerune's Goddess of Beauty, Love and Pleasure.

If you reckon it's possible... what Oath would you give them? The only one that seems to fit to me is the Oath of Ancients.
>>
>>51842170
>>51842184
Yes, and chainmail should probably cost less than a magnifying glass.
This is D&D, jesus christ, there is no real place for bullshit like that. Also what about demons, aberrations, oozes, undead and so forth? Why'd they get tired? And if they don't then it's just an arbitrary disadvantage for players, which might encourage the kind of behavior >>51842110 described.
That houserule adds nothing interesting or fun to the game.
>>
>>51842068
Only if you force the roll whenever a caster uses a spell higher than a cantrip twice in a row, and consider that Concentrating on a spell means a single turn counts as double.
>>
>>51841609
I mean, I don't find magic vs nonmagic effects hard to differentiate -- they state it up front of its magic.

Ki points are not mentioned as magic in their ability description, nor are they mentioned as magic in most the ability writeups. Disciple of the Elements, on the other hand, mentions that they are magic.

>Not to mention, I don't think it tends to mention a lot about 'supernatural' being much distinct from 'magic',
> there doesn't seem to be an incredibly obvious way to define something as magic other than the word 'magic' showing up somewhere, which doesn't always seem to happen

That's fine. Magic is never equated to "all scientifically inexplicable shit ever," ever. The rules are very clear about what is magic and what isn't magic.

Sounds like you're hell bent on houseruling things so that Antimagic Field, and Magic Resistance, is far more powerful than they're supposed to be. And in your games, that's fine.

I don't see the problem at all. In your games, your philosophy of going "I really like yuan ti and want them to be a more powerful race" is a completely reasonable call to make.
>>
File: 1465389583006.jpg (17KB, 416x378px) Image search: [Google]
1465389583006.jpg
17KB, 416x378px
>>51842252
>If a wizard drops a fireball on the roof, it's usually at a Battlemaster's bequest
oi im laffin, nice wishful thinking.
>>
>>51841660
one of the less intimidating kinds of aberrations
>>
>>51842087
Oh. That sounds like a cool idea. Thanks!
>>51842081
Erh. Thanks I guess.
>>
>>51842043
But doesn't this just compound the problem? Split invocations to 2 lists (combat and utility). Have warlocks pick one from each. Allowing twice as many combat invocations to be chosen does only that, encourage players to take twice as many. You still have the problem of combat invocations > utility
>>
>>51842258
ancients or treachery

or obviously conquest
>>
New Thread
>>51842331
>>
>>51842170
Did you need days of recovery afterwards?
>>
>>51842299

It's just what happens man. We got this well sorted at the beggining

What does your team to do to respect each others roles and play?
>>
>>51842184
2 minutes of intense exercise does not warrant the Exhaustion penalty.
>>
>>51842393
It's not even intense.
>swing once every six seconds
>MAYBE jump to the side once or twice every six seconds
>>
>>51841367
Twinned Spell is the only significant reason there ever was. Not that it makes up for all the shit but double haste at level 5 is pretty good for example.
>>
>>51842437

I want you to know that right now, you're that "I have 3000 hours of black ops training" meme guy.
>>
>>51842379
>What does your team to do to respect each others roles and play?
Whoever comes up with something elaborate, proposes that and either does that or not, depending on the feedback. Making that a dedicated role for battlemaster and forcing players to oblige their commands is just silly. Not to mention that the fighter sure as fuck shouldn't be doing the wizards job of keeping the track of their spells known and prepared.
Which makes me think that your caster player is a dunce that actually should be playing fighter, and vice versa. You're a shit wizard if you need a fighter to tell you what you should be casting.
>>
>>51837133
Fucking kek
>>
>>51842512
>forcing players to oblige their commands

No, no, no, you're off the mark here.

Fighter doesn't keep track of Wizard resources.

Fighter goes "Guys, I need that roof down, now!" and the team obliges in whatever way they can, instead of fucking around on their own and spending 10 minutes looking at their spells like autists
>>
>>51842066
All full martial classes in 5e other than barbarian have a magic dabbling option. EK, AT, 4Elem (I count monk of 4, it does casts spells with ki, it's just designed badly)

All full casters but wizard have a gish option. Valor bard, moon druid, war cleric, dragon sorceror, etc.

ranger and paladin are half caster half martial, so their options mostly just change how their two halves synergise.

And then warlock is just weird period. its archetypes follow the paladin/ranger style of half-and-halfs, but it also has pet/stabby/utility options. It's signature cantrip functions approximately like a composite bow, 1d10 with multiple attacks appearing at the same time as martials get new attacks, but it's keyed to its casting stat instead of dex. Speaking of its casting, it gets spells half as often as battle master gets superiority dice, or about on par with how often a bard gets inspiration die. The slots are always highest level you can cast.

So, how should sohei and immortals function?

Are they martial options for casters, caster options for martials, two different kinds of synergy for the same half-and-half, or an unholy abomination of weirdness that's a hodgepodge of altered versions of other classes abilities reskinned to look like they fit together?
>>
>>51838184
Do not allow shit homebrew
Do not allow multiclassing UA or homebrew unless you are 100% familiar and sure it won't break anything.
>>
>>51842223
it's the same reason as 4e, like half of everything people laud 5e for having actually started with 4e and they just never bothered to look at the edition to see all the improvements because "not my edition!"
>>
>>51842610
>Fighter goes "Guys, I need that roof down, now!"
Why the hell should that be coming from a fighter, and even if he IS more into being all keikaku doori-tier tacticool than the other party members, why'd be pick such a shit class for that?
>>
>>51842258
softcore slaneesh is an oath of the ancients if I ever heard it.
>>
>>51842657

>Violence the Class somehow is not the one who best suited to navigate through violence
>>
File: Ki.png (88KB, 306x116px) Image search: [Google]
Ki.png
88KB, 306x116px
>>51842197
>Ki isn't magical
RTFM you knob
>>
>>51842728
>Violence the Class
That'd be barbarian.
>>
File: 1402945144928.png (200KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1402945144928.png
200KB, 356x256px
>>51842068
>10-15 rounds
>>
>>51840566
Just establish early in the chase that a good way to get rid of the enemies is just attack their horses. A riding horse only has AC10 and 13 health.
>>
>>51838007
And everyone will continue to ignore this and the magus spam.
>>
>>51842633
>All full casters but wizard have a gish option. Valor bard, moon druid, war cleric, dragon sorceror, etc.

What is Bladesinger?
>>
>>51843328
I think anon meant in PHB.
>>
What would be the most optmal build for a Warlock Half-Orc?
Bladelock?
Ignore it stat gains, bite the bullet and make a subpar blasterlock?
>>
>>51838007
Nice homebrew anon, though it's very similar to the 3.5 supplement.
Thread posts: 384
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.