[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 37

File: 1410176624314.jpg (42KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1410176624314.jpg
42KB, 300x300px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>51662813

Thread Question: What's your favorite character to play? Class, background, race, etc. Do you have a favorite type to play?
>>
>>51671431
so I have a question, I'm going to be a DM for the first time, and asked each person to text me their class, I got 2 people going to be the same class, all 3 are spell casters, could this cause problems?
I'm thinking of just playing though the campaign and hoping one of them gets killed and roll a tankier person
>>
Not necessarily. People being similar classes can make dangling plot lines easier.

For example once had a one-shot where people made their characters on their own. 3 of 4 of them were Rogues, and the last one was a DEX Fighter.

It made the game into a stealth and infiltration game and it was pretty fun.
>>
>What's your favorite character to play? Class, background, race, etc. Do you have a favorite type to play?

I love playing hybrid characters.Paladins, Arcane Tricksters, Eldritch Knights, Warlocks. I've loved it ever since the Red Mage for Final Fantasy. So anything that lets me combine magical and martial power is awesome in my book.

Now for my problem:

So im writing up the Dark Elves/Drow of my campaign, and they worship three entities. Loth, Demon Queen of Spiders is the chief among the worshippers, but both Grazzt the Dark Prince, and Tharizdun the Black Sun, are worshipped. Grazzt is all about this primal desire with a thin mask of civility. Tharizdun is like this thing of darkness, entropy, and maddness.

Drow Nobles of the houses are uniquely gifted by the entity they chiefly worship. Drow Nobles of Loth are gifted a spider branded form of vampirism. They don't become mist, they become swarms of spiders. They transform into spiders, and command spiders. Those who fail becoming a vampire mutate into driders.

My question is, what kind of gifts could Grazzt and Tharizdun bestow to the noble houses that favour them?
>>
>>51671491
What are the classes? Spellcasters vary wildly in their function and durability.
>>
>>51671511
well I don't plan this to be a 1 shot, I have a whole campaign set out
>>51671533
2 wizards and a cleric
>>
>>51671544
If you DM wisely, you can make the game logically difficult for your players without just slaughtering all of them. You might have to go easy at low levels and encourage summoning from at least one of the wizards, but I'm betting they'll figure that out on their own.
>>
File: BuffedSorcerer.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
BuffedSorcerer.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51663134
I sorta beat you to it, except for the spell point system.

I haven't gotten to the UA origins yet, though those seem to be taking a step in the right direction already by having cooler features that don't require sorcery points.
>>
>>51671525
>Tharizdun
Just like last thread, Tharizdun is the chained god, the guy who fucking made the Abyss. He is nearly entirely mad so he wouldn't hand out boons the majority of the time, you'd just have to siphon from either his power or the power holding him. The time he'd hand out boons is when he's sane enough to plan an escape at which point he gives out exactly what is needed for the part that person is going to play, specially tailored. If he's handing out shit when he's mad, its just random mutations or psychic powers at the cost of your form or sanity.

Graa'zt would give out shit that makes people better at deception and hedonism. He also favors mariliths so multiple arms would be a definite.
>>
Feel like making a gimmicky Fighter Knight.

>Knight with Noble Retainers
>However instead of being the Noble, they are the Retainer for an arrogant Noble who got bored and wanted to "adventure"- the "Retainers" are a Noble (Using Squire stats) and a servant with Ritual Caster so they can cast Leomund's Hut to keep the NPCs safe while his "loyal knight" and friends clears the dungeons (and the Noble takes credit)
>While the Noble is a poncy fuck and no good in a fight they know their way around political matters like a pro and can make dealing with court matters a lot easier for the party

>Knight himself is your expected "straight man" to the Noble's stupid rich idiot bit, though they'll grumble and not be happy about it they'll listen to orders (that aren't blatantly retarded anyways)

I feel like it might be too much work for my DM to have to play 2 extra NPCs though, however on the other end it gives the dM a free traveling questgiver/exposition machine for the setting/area.
>>
>>51671587
I'd recommend that you take the Book of Lost Spells from Necromancer Games (in the mega file) for a few extra expanded spell list options. They're generally balanced from what I see.
>>
>>51671525
Grazzt is classy. He's the only archhdemon who might actually show up if your noble house holds a nice party. He'll even behave himself. Or he'll appear to, except that several members of the serving staff will disappear never to be seen again and half the women will end up pregnant with cambions. Maybe also some of the men. Wealth, culture, magic items and cambions for everyone.

Tharizdun is barely conscious, just a pure force of destruction and hate for whom favor is an alien concept. His "blessings" are disasters: droughts, plagues, seams of toxic gas opening up, and worst of all, cave-ins. Calling on him might be the equivalent of a magical WMD.
>>
>>51671611
Let them know about the idea beforehand and give them the chance to get in some input: if they'll be playing these guys it seems fair to let them toy with the idea a little too. Depending on your GM they might love the idea. However, they might also just throw it out immediately, which is why it's probably best for you to bring it up to them before you make your character (or just make sure you have another idea on deck if that one gets shot down)

as a DM though that sounds like a fun as hell character to play, although I might get caught up in giving them conversations with each other. I have a bad habit of that.
>>
>>51671544

Makes things about solving problems. Make sure there are still monsters, and don't make the monsters any easier than you would otherwise. You cannot baby them. But, try and make it so that they can find clever solutions that allow them to punch above their pay grade. Talk to them a bit and let it be known that since they're playing straight casters that means they need to put on their robes and hat and really adopt the mantle of "The wise", true magus. Rushing in and just throwing dice won't do for a mage, you aren't some brainless fighter, if you do that you die. You gotta be smart and find ways to manipulate the situation to your advantage.

Let them do it, tell them they are playing on hard mode, and that if they want to make it then they gotta bring their A game.
>>
>>51671544
The cleric should be able to hold the party together. Sometimes literally.
>>
>>51671563
I won't be going too easy on them at any point if its too easy then its boring, I planned a decent campaign for a nicely diverse group, but since they didn't do that they'll be in a bit of a more difficult situation, and I don't want to make them do anything I want to do a very hands off DMing, I'll skew some things so they don't get wrecked but overall they are up to their own accord
But good to know that there it won't be a problem having 2 characters be the same class
>>
Stone Sorcerer 1 / Lore Bard X
Is it any good?
>>
>>51671664
You don't need to go easy on them. You just need to go easy relative to what you planned initially; the dubious party composition will make many encounters inherently more difficult.
>>
>>51671633
Is that the thing where they took a whole bunch of spells from earlier editions and put them in 5e terms?

'Cause if it's what I'm thinking of, I was not impressed. And I'd prefer to stick to official sources as much as I can.
>>
>>51671587
>the spell point system
My problem with the spell/sorcery point system instead of slots is that it always breaks down at 6th-9th levels without putting in some ham-fisted restrictions that basically recreate the effect of spell slots anyway.

I've also dicked around with a reworked Sorc homebrew (seriously there are like 6 of us in /5eg/) and I can never find something that feels quite right. I'm starting to wonder if that's why WotC didn't touch the base class too.
>>
>>51671657
>magus
the plural is "magi"
>>
>>51671594
I really like the idea that the power from Tharizdun is being siphoned rather than bestowed.

What would some Tharizdun juice do to someone who takes it?

Makes them like a super-wraith?

The Noble Houses that follow him deal in shadows, making the dark material that drow weapons and armor are made from, and using shadows and phantasmal killers?

Maybe they can access spheres of annihilation?
>>
>>51671650
Yeah I've got no shortage of characters to pick from if it gets shot down.

I plan to have two characters of each class, one "Vanilla" that uses only PHB/officially published stuff and requires no extra DM effort and one SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE character who's using UAs and/or requires DM fiat to work. (This one being the speshul Fighter)
>>
>>51671663
ya, after looking into clerics more, he should be able to hold the line, assuming he doesn't get fucked by the rolls, and the party helps him
>>51671657
actually thanks for the note, I can remove some of the str/dex checks and put in more wis/int checks, such as traps for perception, but what could I pump up to counter the int? maybe some hist/arcana checks to find ways to get around the str/dex situations?
>>
File: 1376093634704.gif (2MB, 378x227px) Image search: [Google]
1376093634704.gif
2MB, 378x227px
>>51671704
Magusi? Sounds weird but if you say so
>>
>>51671742
The thing you may need to remind the cleric is that he doean't have to be healing all the time like an MMO, but he does need to get people back up when they hit 0HP.
>>
>>51671544
>>51671491
You could also just let them know what everybody else is picking, and ask if they WANT an all-full-caster game. Some people prefer to play a spellcaster only if the party doesn't already have one.
>>
>>51671690
Not entirely sure but it does sound like what Necro games does, like with the 5th edition foes
Heres the spell list for sorcerer gained from the book.
Sorcerer
Cantrips (Level 0):Alter Normal Fires, Burden

Level 1:Acid Wind, Bubble Net, Caustic Spittle, Debilitate, Dragon’s Gauntlet, Earthen Blast, Fire Burst, Flaming Bolts, Flash of Light, Frostfire, Gossamer Webbing, Ice Bolts, Push, With the Wind
Level 2:Bead of Blazing, Bead of Frost, Dragon Scales, Ethereal Strike, Flame of Chaos, Flameswell, Force Wave, Frost Snap, Ignite, Molten Strike, Net, Silver Spear, Smothering Cloud, Spirit Blast
Level 3
Air Breathing
Arcane Spear
Barbaric Yawp
Battle Double
Breath of the Dragon
Chaos Bolt
Electromagnetic Storm
Far Strike
Frost Shards
Hard Water Blast
Heat Flesh
Ooze Bolt
Sand Blast
Shadow Bolt
Steam Bolt
Level 4
Abiding Webs
Air Sphere
Bead of Blasting
Bubble Goop
Desail
Earthburst
Enduring Missiles
Fiery Blast
Flame Spiral
Flames of Purification
Rainbow Spear
Scalding Sea
Slimeball
Solar Spear
Steam Cloud
Level 5
Arcane Shield
Devouring Darkness
Earthen Snare
Ethereal Blast
Euphoric Ecstasy
Rainbow Staff
Shattering Cry
Violent Scream
Wail of Fate
Weaken Fiendish Will
Level 6
Acid Blast
Chilling Gaze
Cold Fog
Curse of Infirmity
Death’s Imposition
Fangstorm
Fiery Constrictor
Life Shot
Lightning Storm
Lightning Wheel
Words of Thunder
Level 7
Acid Storm
Crawling Chaos
Deep Freeze
Ebon Lightning
Electrical Storm
Forceful Crush
Liquid Fire
Magma Eruption
Scorching Air
Searing Flash
Book of Lost Spells
Level 8
Ebonflame
Ice Geyser
Level 9
Arcane Censure
Conflagration
Scintillating Doom
Storm of Vitriol
Tendrils of Night
>>
So playing with a twohanded weapon as a fighter, is plate the only way to get decent AC?
>>
>>51671759
>>51671760
idk I want it to be as like "genuine" as possible, i.e. I want everyone to find out each others race/class when they meet,
>>51671759
the cleric has been DM for a couple campaigns and players so I believe he'll be able to figure out how to play so i'm not too worried about that
>>51671760
well I texted them each asking for their class, making sure they don't know each others class so it's pretty obvious they all wanted to do spell casters, and that's what they get
>>
>>51671764
Sorcerer
Cantrips (Level 0) Alter Normal Fires, Burden
Level 1 Acid Wind, Bubble Net, Caustic Spittle, Debilitate, Dragon’s Gauntlet, Earthen Blast, Fire Burst, Flaming Bolts, Flash of Light, Frostfire, Gossamer Webbing, Ice, Bolts, Push, With the Wind
Level 2
Bead of Blazing, Bead of Frost, Dragon Scales, Ethereal Strike, Flame of Chaos, Flameswell, Force Wave, Frost Snap, Ignite, Molten Strike, Net, Silver Spear, Smothering Cloud, Spirit Blast
Level 3
Air Breathing, Arcane Spear, Barbaric Yawp, Battle Double, Breath of the Dragon, Chaos Bolt, Electromagnetic Storm, Far Strike, Frost Shards, Hard Water Blast, Heat Flesh, Ooze Bolt, Sand Blast, Shadow Bolt, Steam Bolt,
Level 4
Abiding Webs, Air Sphere, Bead of Blasting, Bubble Goop, Desail, Earthburst, Enduring Missiles, Fiery Blast, Flame Spiral, Flames of Purification, Rainbow Spear, Scalding Sea, Slimeball, Solar Spear, Steam Cloud,
Level 5
Arcane Shield, Devouring Darkness, Earthen Snare, Ethereal Blast, Euphoric Ecstasy, Rainbow Staff, Shattering Cry, Violent Scream, Wail of Fate, Weaken Fiendish Will
Level 6
Acid Blast, Chilling Gaze, Cold Fog, Curse of Infirmity, Death’s Imposition, Fangstorm, Fiery Constrictor, Life Shot, Lightning Storm, Lightning Wheel, Words of Thunder
Level 7
Acid Storm, Crawling Chaos, Deep Freeze, Ebon Lightning, Electrical Storm, Forceful Crush, Liquid Fire, Magma Eruption, Scorching Air, Searing Flash
Level 8 Ebonflame, Ice Geyser
Level 9 Arcane Censure, Conflagration, Scintillating Doom, Storm of Vitriol, Tendrils of Night
Better Formatting for easier reading.
>>
>>51671673
For what purpose? You get like 1 extra AC from the ability and then make it so you scale off CON instead of DEX, which means you make your sneak worse? There are better ways to get shields, armor and weapons, whether it be from cleric paladin or even just from the other bard subtype. I seriously wouldn't bother.
>>
How speshul snowflake would it be to play a really tall Dwarf? Like 5'11, and they get confused for a really stocky human occasionally.

It'd be mainly just for fitting in with humans (they moved out of Dwarven society because there was rumors he was half-human and he got sick of dealing with it) and probably wouldn't make much difference mechanically.

Is there even a such thing as a half-dwarf?
>>
what are your guy's thoughts about being Oath breaker Paladin/ arch-fey warlock?
spoiler alert I'm currently paladin 5, planning on going pally 5-lock2
>>
>>51671860
I'm still not won over. Also I tried to pull a lot of spells that weren't on the sorcerer's spell list for added variety. Since the sorcerer's list is smaller than the wizard's and I wanted to give them some spells the wizard didn't get.
>>
Is it just me or does the stone sorcerer UA favor str over dex?
>>
>>51671919
What you're describing is sometimes called a mul, and IDOTS. Some D&D settings have them, most do not.

My personal headcanon is that while cross-species breeding could be achieved with some sort of fantasy in-vitro fertilization, dwarf juices are toxic to most humanoids. Dwarf semen would really mess up a human woman's insides and if a human sticks his penis in a dwarf, he'll pull it out covered in acid burns.
>>
>>51671955
Well, I don't know how to argue the point with you if to at all. I'm just providing additonal options you may want to consider. I don't know how you view sorcerer or your design philosophy behind the extended spell lists so I can't really make specific suggestions.
>>
>>51671937
It's probably powergaming, but if you at least make it interesting roleplay powergaming, I'd allow it at my table.
>>
I wonder, how many of you use third party materials in your campaigns?
>>
File: 1381449437992.gif (652KB, 581x390px) Image search: [Google]
1381449437992.gif
652KB, 581x390px
How to make Constitution great again: if a character is dropped to 0 hit points, they remain unconscious for (Con mod) rounds and then die unless stabilized. Minimum of 1 round.
>>
>>51671990
>most settings dont have them
Well this guy isnt one either, just really tall (for a Dwarf), but I don't see why that would stop rumors about it.

>Acid burns
Nigga you what

Sure it probably wouldn't be compatible for similar reasons (Even a bit of PH difference can fuck with sperm) but it shouldn't burn your dick off. That's just dumb.
>>
>>51672044
Constitution is already fine as an ability score, anon. HP, saves against many spells and effects, and concentration saves make it a good tertiary for every character.
>>
>>51672044
>make the one stat that is already the only stat that is never a dump stat even more important

no
>>
>>51672007
we've been doing strahd (planned my character out before meeting a second time, first meeting was under the guise of a one shot), my character is a sailor, trying to get everyone who seems responsive to join my crew on Thor's Hammer
but in almost every fight I've been either knocked unconscious, or down to 5 hp either the DM hates me or he just rolls very well against me so the powergaming hasn't been much of a problem in the group, also the DM hasn't allowed me to multi-class yet, trying to do that before the OB aura of hate...(chr mod in this case +2 to all undead (all of strahd's army) to melee weapon damage)
>>
>>51671431
I like Gishes. Mixing melee and magic to be cool without crazy bullshit is my jam. To that end, I need a little help.

I've never played 5th ed until recently, and I know jack and shit about multiclassing. If I'm Bard 3, should I wait for ASI to go Rogue or can I jump in next level? I want swashbuckler 3 so bad.
>>
>>51672196
I'd say wait til ASI for most multiclassing. But in your specific case, I'd say stick around as a Valor Bard. Shit's cash money.
>>
I want to play a Pirate.
But most games are nowhere near the ocean.
So the next logical step is airship.
But most DMs won't let you captain an Airship.
So that means I need to make a ground ship.

How to make a ground ship? I'll be the scourge of the seven lands!

Something like a smaller version of that sand ship from Lost Planet 2 comes to mind.
>>
>>51672207
Too late, already went Lore. Halfling made it hard to go Valor, thinking of it for a Link build. Rogue lets me make the most of a single attack and the Initiative boost is bonkers. I'm looking for a suave treasure hunter kind of vibe. With Fireball, and Crusader's Mantle, and Blackjack and hookers.
>>
How would you handle this situation.

I'm a new player, and currently playing my first ever session with a group.

I casted Faerie Fire as a monk/cleric that was super useful for the team as we only have 2 other martials and a paladin and zero support.
While the DM was flipping through the DMG to double check something, later after the fight, I was reading more about the spell to understand it, (casting time, materials) and noticed it was a concentration spell. Then started reading about concentration spells at the table and how they end once you take damage.
Well, I took damage during the fight, so my spell should have ended, but it didn't. I had no idea, and neither did the DM nor anyone else at the table.

So my question is, in future battles, should I bring this up, even if it gimps the spell, or move forward with the established way we've done things?
>>
File: skiff.jpg (8KB, 375x222px) Image search: [Google]
skiff.jpg
8KB, 375x222px
>>51672229
i've always been a big fan of sand skiffs, the hovercraft things in deserts

theres some real good ones in starwars, borderlands 2, and avatar the last air bender. Treasure planet has something similar too i think, but i havn't seen that movie in ages. Might have just been a hoverboard.
>>
>>51672415
You don't just lose the spell. Concentration requires a check when you take a hit.

Just talk to the DM about it.
>>
>>51671431
Ranger and paladin cause magic and combat ability. Monk cause I'm a martial artist and Mystic cause I like Psionics. Also I really hope take 3 comes out after the wizard UA...
>>
>>51672433
From what I understand the concentration ends once you take damage or fall unconscious or cast a different spell that take concentration.
>>
>>51672446
From the book:

>Concentration
>Some spells require you to maintain concentration in order to keep their magic active. If you lose concentration, such a spell ends.
>If a spell must be maintained with concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. You can end concentration at any time (no action required).
>Normal activity, such as moving and attacking, doesn’t interfere with concentration. The following factors can break concentration:
>Casting another spell that requires concentration. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once.
>Taking damage. Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher. If you take damage from multiple sources, such as an arrow and a dragon’s breath, you make a separate saving throw for each source of damage.
>Being incapacitated or killed. You lose concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated or if you die.
>The GM might also decide that certain environmental phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while you’re on a storm-tossed ship, require you to succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell.
>>
Would anyone know of a good site resources for roll20?
>>
>>51672432
Something small like that would work, but is hardly worthy of a dreaded pirate captain.

I suppose no matter what I do I'll have to run it by the DM first since the party having any kind of vehicle can mess with their plans.
>>
>>51671979
Yes, and that's intentional. Stand your ground and face things head-on, twinkle toes!
>>
Is there a potion that gives you Blur?
>>
I need stats for Goku's Power Pole.

It's for science.
>>
>>51672659

>quarterstaff

Done.
>>
File: 1480493127176.png (247KB, 270x664px) Image search: [Google]
1480493127176.png
247KB, 270x664px
>>51672681
>>
>>51672691
>quarterstaff of power
ftfy
>>
>>51671769
Yep, you're trading defensive power for damage. If you want the 21 AC then go sword and board with Protection FS.
>>
> the use of magic is outlaw
> most player still play spell caster
Should I play Sorcerer with subtle spell?
>>
>>51672694
Alright, but how do I get it to extend?

inb4 "work the shaft"
>>
>>51672659
>>51672730

Since Goku is basically Monkey, let's see.

>Staff of Compensation
>Legendary weapon
>1d8 bludgeoning damage (versatile, 1d10)
>As a bonus action, you can use a command word to get the pole to either:
>>Grow up to 100 feet long at rapid speed, causing 1d8 bludgeoning damage per 10 feet to anything in the way. Yes, you can use this to attack people up to a hundred feet away.
>>Shrink to Tiny size
>>Become as wide as a tree trunk (3 ft.), adding 3d8 to its damage totals

That's about all I got for you, stranger.
>>
>>51671810
> idk I want it to be as like "genuine" as possible, i.e. I want everyone to find out

Bad idea which probably will lead to unfun campaign.

TRPG is a cooperative storytelling activity. Do you really think a good story author doesn't think about main actors interaction and party dynamic before writing the plot?
>>
Reposting from last thread, looking for ideas/feedback on it.

I've got a player who wants to make a Gnome Barbarian. I'm almost certain it's for roleplay and character concept reasons, but RAW they won't be able to use Heavy weapons without suffering a disadvantage on all their attacks (being a Small creature).

Would you guys allow a slight bending of that rule though, to amend it to where if the player is raging they can use Heavy weapons just fine, because they don't care about where they're hitting someone, just that they have to hit them and the barbarian rage is giving them that supernatural strength/speed needed to properly use a Heavy weapon?
>>
>>51672746
Honestly that's a load better than anything I had. Should there be a limit to the number of times a player can use those abilities?
>>
>>51672768
The reason the Heavy rule exists is because those weapons are literally bigger than the Small races.

Itd be like a Human wielding a 12 foot tall axe.

That said if you don't mind that go for it.
>>
I tried to post this in the last thread, but I don't think it worked. So anyway, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of cleric spells I have to sift through when preparing spells. How do I deal with this?
>>
File: 1397087898118.jpg (26KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
1397087898118.jpg
26KB, 640x443px
>>51673016
I mean, you can only prepare so many anyway, so just pick the top 5 or so main ones you will always use, and then fill out the rest based on daily needs.

tl;dr LEARN TO READ A BOOK
>>
My friend said they are going to update/change/balance spells soon. Is he right? I hadn't heard of anything like that
>>
>>51673016
spellcards
>>
After being forced into playing a Warlock I've given all my options a look and the Undying Light looks good.

I have to ask though, how do I get the most use of the +Cha to radiant and fire damage? I thought Warlocks just Hex and turret fire Eldritch Blasts, which means I don't really have the slots for much.

My other thought was a Fiendlock because my DM lets Warlocks use the Demon Summons from that UA. Which seems kinda cool.
>>
>>51673090
Substitute Flamebolt for EB. You lose out on other invocations that modify EB, but that might free up one or two to do other things.
>>
>>51673111
With EB I get +Cha per bolt though right? That's a pretty big drop in damage for an extra invocation.
>>
How have you changed monsters for your campaigns? I'm looking for ideas to spice up my world and encounters.
>>
Only just read the updated errata on crossbow expert/reloading/ammunition. Does this mean the feat only really works if you're wielding a single hand crossbow?
>>
>>51673151
You need an invocation to add +Cha to EB. Your archetype, as you said, adds +Cha to fire and radiant. Flamebolt exists. And it scales exactly the same in terms of damage and bolt number.
>>
>>51673169
Firebolt says nothing about splitting into multiple bolts though. It just increases 1d10 which means at the end it's only 4d10+5 compared to EB's 4d10+20.
>>
>>51673151
By RAW it's per bolt. But it used the exact same words as pre-errata draconic sorcerer, so it might not be RAI.
>>
>>51673169
No. Firebolt only shoot 1 bolt even at higher level.

Level 5 firebolt is 1 attack roll that do 2d10 damage as oppose to level 5 EB that is 2 attack rolls that do 1d10 each.
>>
>>51673151
>>51673169
Firebolt doesn't scale the same, it's a single bolt that deals 1d10 (+1d10 at 5, 11, and 17th levels).

Eldritch Blast explicitly creates extra bolts at 5, 11, and 17th levels.
>>
>>51673183
>>51673200
>>51673213
>firebolt doesn't split
Well fuck. I'm too drunk for thsi shit right now.
>>
>>51672773
Okay, let's go.

>Staff of Compensation
>Requires attunement
>1d8 bludgeoning damage, finesse, versatile (1d10)
>This item has 6 charges. Expend 1 charge to use any of these abilities as a bonus action:
>>Staff grows up to 100 feet long. Things in the way of its expansion take 1d8 damage per 10 feet it travels. Still functions as a normal weapon.
>>Staff shrinks to Tiny size, giving it advantage against detection
>>Staff grows wider, up to 3 feet. Add 1d8 per additional foot of girth.
>>Staff narrows down to normal size.
>The staff regains 1d6 charges at dawn. If he staff runs out of charges, roll 1d20. If 11 or above, nothing happens. On 10 or below, the staff disappears.

What think?
>>
>>51673283
So if you're 10 feet away, you get hit for 2d8 (or 1d8 + 1d10 if two-handed) damage?

Also, would the damage die increase to 1d10 for any of those features if you were wielding it two-handed?
>>
>>51673299
I would say so, yeah. Had to make a change as I realized that the damage would get a bit crazy, but then again it is a legendary weapon meant for a god so, crazy is a good thing.

The thing is, I should have said that
>When expanding the pole, you can make a ranged attack against anything in a straight line. The damage is 1d8 (or 1d10 if using 2-handed) + 1d8/10 per 10 feet.

So if you're making your pole grow to 50 feet, say, then anything in that range and in the way of the pole takes 1d8/10 + 5d8/10 + whatever ability score you're using magical bludgeoning damage.

If you really want to make it nightmarish, make it a +2 weapon on top of these stats. Hell, make it an artifact, the legendary weapon of a god.
>>
>>51673158
Only?

Were you expecting to dual wield weapons that require additional hands to reload?
>>
>>51673353
The description seemed to imply that you'd be attacking with a one handed melee weapon in close range and firing the hand crossbow from the off hand. That's why you no longer suffer a penalty for being within 5 feet of an enemy and why it doesn't require you to make a ranged attack to take the bonus shot.

Under the current errata, the hand crossbow functions as a two handed weapon. You can't couple it with anything in either your primary or offhand because then you wouldn't be able to reload it.

Before it was worth taking the feat because it brought hand crossbows up to par with other weapons. The effect doesn't seem to justify the cost anymore. Am I mistaken?
>>
>be dragonborn fighter
>spooky door opens
>zombie rushes out
>run up to open door
>a dozen more zombies on the other side
>hit about 8 of them with breath weapon
>close door
>party is now alone in a room with one zombie completely surrounded
>warlock uses eldritch blast
>fumbles
>shoots me in the back

what are some good IC ways of getting revenge on party members? Aside from just killing them?
>>
>>51673414
You can shoot it using one hand though. So dual-wielding pre-load hand crossbows work
>>
>>51673414
> Before it was worth taking the feat because it brought hand crossbows up to par with other weapons. The effect doesn't seem to justify the cost anymore. Am I mistaken?

what? mechanically, it still make hand crossbow the best range weapon.
>>
>>51673471
And then it's not loaded anymore and you can't.

If the damage was significantly higher, than a single shot sidearm might be worthwhile. An additional 1D6 per combat isn't.
>>
>>51673481
Not when any other archer is going to be taking the sharpshooter feat.
>>
what's supposed to happen to a throwing weapon after it's thrown in combat?
>>
>>51673342
When it grows bigger/longer, does it become heavier/harder to handle? Does making it grow to the thickness of a tree trunk make it more difficult to hold?
>>
>>51673499
> not taking sharpshooter and crossbow master

Assuming variant human
At level 4
Longbow (18 DEX) : 1d8+4+10 (average 18.5)
Crossbow (16 DEX): 2d6+6+20 (average 33.5)

At Level 8:
Longbow: (20 DEX) 2d8+10+20 (average 39)
Hand crossbow (18 DEX) 3d6+12+30 (average 52.5)
>>
>>51673531
Yeah. You get big benefits, but it becomes a Heavy weapon if you do so, and if you don't use 2 hands you take disadvantage on attack rolls.
>>
Im totally not following that Errata ehere you nees a free hand to reload. Its janky as shit
>>
Has anyone managed to rip the Roll 20 Monster Manual Tokens yet?
>>
>>51673565
It's the difference between two feats and one, I won't disagree with that. My argument is more that it breaks the rapier/hand crossbow option.

If I wanted to be a pure archer, then it makes sense to invest in both. But that limits you to a single character type when justifying the cost. It's especially strange, because the errata also makes the point that it applies equally to spells. So they apparently decided to expand it to cover casters, but exclude melee fighters.
>>
Does this seem like a reasonable fighting style?

Monkey Grip (small characters only)
You do not have disadvantage on attack rolls for using a heavy weapon
>>
>>51671692
>it breaks down at 6th-9th levels
No.
>>
>>51671633

Hey just wanted to say thank you for pointing this out. There are a few spells I'm going to be peppering into my game when my players get to explore troves of arcane lore from a collapsed wizard empire.
>>
>>51672646
In the DMG? idk
In your game, why not?
>>
>>51673429
Even assuming your post isn't bait, you're a dumbass if you want revenge on a party member who had no say in rolling a nat 1.
>>
>>51673429
Don't be a nigger. Just joke about it.

>>51673652
Yes

>>51673501
If it's like ammunition, you spend some time searching for it and get half of them back.

>>51673090
It's not a great feature, since for damage it's usually better to just EB and keep your slots for utility stuff. Fiendlock is cool.
>>
>>51673677
He meant 6th-9th level spells. It does not work anymore because without restriction you would use all your points to cast high level spells.
>>
Thoughts on this quick spell?

1 action
4th level
A 60-foot cone of penetrating darkness erupts from your hands, dealing 2d8 necrotic damage to all creatures within the area. Creatures hit have disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks and saving throws until the end of your next turn. On a successful saving throw, creatures do not have disadvantage.
At higher levels: The damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 4th used to cast this spell.
>>
>>51673905
Successful Constitution throw, that is
>>
>>51673429
Ejaculate into your hand and throw it at the offending player.

>IC ways

Oh shit, sorry.

Have your dragonborn ejaculate into his hand and throw it at the offending warlock.
>>
>>51673886
>>51671692
There is a restriction, you can only cast 1 spell from each level above 6 per long rest.
Read the book, god fucking damn. Every time is the same shit.
>>
Staff of Striking the beat Monk weapon?
>>
Have you ever posed as a slave to infiltrate a slave den? Works best for Monks, Barbs and Caster I guess.
>>
File: 0mfn01.jpg (123KB, 750x1138px) Image search: [Google]
0mfn01.jpg
123KB, 750x1138px
>>51672044
REMOVE
DEATH SAVES
>>
>>51674080
Take a level dip of fighter and use some bullshit like the +2 4d6 sword or something. Doesn't matter if it fucks up half your abilities.

The most powerful weapon is the most bullshit thing your DM's willing to give you.
>>
>>51674091
Might work.
But if I were to run a slave den, my slaves would be marked, so this kind of infiltration would probably fall flat.
>>
>>51673414
>>51673353
>>51673158
As far as I know, you don't NEED to use two crossbows. You can just fire the crossbow again anyway.

This makes the hand crossbow the best weapon for anyone who doesn't already use all of their bonus actions, since it gives an additional 1d6+DEXMOD damage plus any other effects (Such as sharpshooter).

The fact you could use a shield with the hand crossbow before the errata was just icing on the cake.
>>
>>51674091
>>51674116
Unless your resident mage were to use prestidigitation to fake it, I guess.
>>
>>51674131
>As far as I know, you don't NEED to use two crossbows
That's my point. You explicitly can't use two crossbows or anything else in your second hand because of how ammunition works per the errata.

If you don't have a free hand, you can't reload. This means no crossbow/melee weapon, crossbow/shield, or crossbow/crossbow.
>>
>>51674074
What's even the problem with sorcerers in the first place ?
>>
>>51674148
You don't really need crossbow/melee weapon unless your DM does all sorts of specific resistance monsters though.

I mean, once you get archery and crossbow expert and especially if you get sharpshooter you'll never need to use any other weapon ever again.

I'm still sad shield+sling is no longer a viable option, however.
>>
>>51674155
They're wizards, but much worse, but they get metamagic, but wizards get cool things like portent.

I mean, most classes are worse than wizards but most classes don't have the same spells (but less of them) and same hitdie and same this and same that

Sorcerer would be better as a wizard school.

If you have a sorcerer and a wizard in the same party, it's possible the wizard can shit all over the sorcerer, whereas they won't shit over the fighter as much because the fighter has a seperate role.
>>
>>51674156
>You don't really need crossbow/melee weapon
But that's what I want to play. Before this was possible. The errata inexplicably made this impossible even though it's clear that's what was in mind when the feat was first drafted.
>>
>>51674148
> hit with melee weapon
> shoot a load crossbow
> drop melee weapon (fluff as juggling it up or whatever)
> reload crossbow
> object interaction to pick up melee weapon
>>
>>51674170
I mean, I only read the player's book and the DM book and they seems rather different in their approach of magic, but I'm not really good at finding flaws in systems so what do I know
>>
>>51674177
Then ask if you can do it anyway, because it's honestly pointless to hold a melee weapon unless it has some magical bonus.
>>
>>51674189
It used to be that sorcerer was supposed to be a 'spontaneous caster' and the wizard had to prepare spells in advance.

But now, essentially, everybody is a spontaneous caster. It's just most casters can swap out their spells after a long rest.

Sorcerers have some crippling downsides compared to wizard and their only unique feature is, for the most part, twinned spell, with maybe some of the other metamagics being useful sometimes maybe if other spells don't already do the same thing.
>>
>>51674187
Reloading the crossbow is done as you attack. It isn't a distinct action (free or otherwise).
>>
So I'm making an Eldritch Knight Archer. Are there any spells that could enchant my arrows?
>>
>>51674201
Don't the sorcerers get a lot of innate abilities that the wizards don't have tho ?
>>
>>51674222
At best you might be able to get the 'magic weapon' spell.

Eldritch Knight is mostly about these things:
1. Melee cantrips (Booming blade / green flame blade)
2. Defense reaction spells (Shield, Absorb elements)
3. Concentration spells that can help with melee. (Haste/Hold person)
And then you have a bit of room for find familiar or something I suppose.

Don't get your hopes up, you don't get to be too fancy a magical knight. Arcane Archer would be brilliant for you if it wasn't shit.
>>
>>51674189
It's mostly just a lack of spells

Wizard has more flexibility, with a larger spell list, can swap out spells at long rests, and can, at any one point, know more spells than a sorcerer can

Which is godawful design. Fuck I hate 5e wizards.
>>
>>51674205
switch the order then.

>>51674233
only if they choose the right one (like twinned spell)
>>
File: wizard fighting undead.jpg (707KB, 800x1191px) Image search: [Google]
wizard fighting undead.jpg
707KB, 800x1191px
>>51671431
Anything wizard related
>>
>>51674240
But the wizards need to learn specific spells in their books and don't get more than what they have right ?
>>
>>51674233
In the same way wizards get powerful abilities like portent from their school choice.

>Fire sorcerers can add +fire damage to their spells!
Oh, wow, well evocation wizards can cast magic missiles that do over twice the regular damage. .. And add damage to fire spells.
That sort of thing.

Dragon sorcerer does give free mage armour, being able to spend points for fire resistance and an extra +1 HP along with having an awfully specific charisma expertise, but.. Giving more health doesn't help sorcerer fill their role, anyway.
>>
>>51674205
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but weirdly I thought the same as him - that reloading takes some sort of (bonus) action and thus prohibits dual wielding.

a) where are we getting this joint idea from?
b) does this mean you can wield a hand crossbow in your off-hand no matter what light weapon you have in your main?
>>
>>51674251
Wizards don't even need to prepare ritual spells to cast them if they spend 10 minutes to cast it.
They can switch to those other spells after a long rest.

And even IF the wizard didn't have a spellbook, their spontaneous casting is better than a sorcerer's because they still have a lot more spells known in their head at any one time.
>>
>>51674256
The loading propety suggests that you have to use a reaction, bonus action, action etc to load a crossbow before firing which prevents you from firing it several times a round. This is not true, what it's actually saying is you reload it as part of the action but can't reload it twice in the same action.
>>
>>51674254
So it's more a problem of pure damage "powerplay" than something else ? I don't mean it like a bad thing I just want to understand and need to simplify things because I guess I'm a retard
>>
>>51674251
Wizard with detect magic in their book can cast it as ritual without preparing it.

Sorcerer can't do that. Seriously, Sorcerer need stuff like Cleric's domain spell to keep up with Wizard.
>>
>>51674246
>switch the order then.
You can't. The bonus attack with the crossbow requires you first make an attack. If your melee weapon is on the ground you obviously can't do this.

>>51674256
Reloading takes no action. It's simply part of the attack. Crossbows have the "loading" property which means you can't make multiple attacks per turn with them. The Crossbow Expert feat ignores this loading property, allowing you to make those extra attacks if available.

And now, you can't wield a hand crossbow with anything else because per the latest errata, reloading a crossbow requires an open hand.
>>
>>51674270
It's not about damage, really.

It's about versatility.

Sorcerer has very little versatility compared to wizard.

I mean, partiicularly at level 1, the wizard has 6 spells in their spellbook and will probably be able
to ritual cast 2 and spontaneously cast 4. The sorcerer will be able to only spontaneously cast 2.

The sorcerer also has less to choose from.

That's honestly it, there isn't really any other real problems aside from it being far too similar to wizard. Any benefits sorcerer gives is counterbalanced by the benefits wizard schools get, normally, because some wizard schools have very strong features.
>>
>>51674292
Ok I understand how it is a problem, and there isn't any official "fix" for this I suppose, that's kinda shitty and leave the sorcerer only for roleplay purpose.
>>
>>51674278
> Make melee attack
> Drop weapon
> Reload and shoot with crossbow
> Pick up weapon
???
>>
>>51674298
They still have a couple of unique points, and they aren't entirely identical... But for the most part they're a worse wizard.

It seems that wizards or at least some people are having a hard time realizing that they really need to fucking fix it already though.

If you're in a party with a wizard player and the wizard player doesn't really have any experience, a sorcerer would do just as well as them, easily, if not slightly better.
>>
>>51674298
They have niche. Twinned spell is something a Wizard can't do.
>>
>>51674278
>>51674303
>melee attack
>shoot crossbow
>finish turn
>ally uses mage hand to reload your crossbow

I claim inefficient victory.
>>
>>51674298
>>51674313
Sorcerer doesn't have to prepare. It's not much of an advantage, but it means you're more ready for random situations.

Essentially, sorcerer is fine if the DM plays the campaign to the character strengths a little.
>>
>>51674317
Just use unseen servant or familiar then.
>>
>>51674322
Sorcerer know less spell than Wizard prepare spell (Wizard start at 4. Sorcerer only know 2)

In a given day a Wizard could have all the spell Sorcerer know and then some.
>>
Anyone ever try infinity style d20 doe D&D?

Roll under 20 for attributes
If hit, roll D20+Armor/Resist stat. If Armor roll exceeds weapon damage value, itndoesnt deal damage. If not, apply weapn damamge and effects.

Classes get abilities that give abilities to roll stats with bonus or give penalty to enemy attacks
>>
Where can I find a game online? Two of my RL group is on hiatus...
>>
>>51674322
No, the point being made above is that not having to prepare spells is NOT an advantage. Because a wizard can prepare more spells each day than a sorcerer can know in total.

So even if a wizard prepares exactly the same spells every single day, they still know more spells than a sorcerer does. So no matter what, wizards are ALWAYS more ready for random situations than sorcerers
>>
>>51674177
There was no errata about it, just a rules clarification for those daft enough to not understand.
>>
>>51674322
This is what sorcucks actually believe.
Sorcerers have up to 15 spells known, while wizards have up to 25 spells prepared. Who is more likely to have something ready for a random situation?
>>
File: ArcanistsMillFull.jpg (252KB, 1024x791px) Image search: [Google]
ArcanistsMillFull.jpg
252KB, 1024x791px
HALP I AM AN IDIOT AND ADDICTED TO NAUTICAL THEMES AND SEASIDE PLACES

I need quest ideas for a low to mid level party. they own property overlooking a coastal shanty (own in the feudal sense as in they really don't own it and are expected to pay big taxes)

they need cash to make more money. I need quest ideas.

highly forested area, low in easily extracted mineral resources, high in fish and about midway between a mineral export harbor/river delta, and an offloading station near a center for industry.

so far for stuff to do I have
THE LOCAL RITUAL(a seemingly sinister but not fertility and good harvest festival)
BANDITS(i don't want to use this too frequently, we're all somewhat new to TTRPGs)
and
PIRATE HIDEOUT(probably not occupied)
and possibly
RECURRENT VILLAIN(though I am not quite ready for this yet...I think)

I want to use this map for something but I have NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING
>>
>>51674421
The confusion was over whether you were allowed to fire the same hand crossbow twice or if you needed two. It was never over whether you could duel wield while taking advantage of the bonus attack which is the plain intention of the feat as written.

What's makes the errata so weird is that they seem to have changed the feat such that the intended effect is no longer possible.
>>
>>51674426
I think sorcerer fans are the ones most aware of the problem

Wizard fans would be the ones saying that not preparing spells is an advantage, because doing so keeps sorcerers below wizards
>>
>>51674239
I haven't played so haven't seen it at work, how handy are concentration spells when you're taking hits?
>>
>>51674526
Depends on your defences.

An EK should have pretty good defences with plate armour, possibly a shield, if they use haste they get +2 AC and if they use the 'shield' spell they'll have even more AC, which means they're unlikely to get hit in the first place.

Then it's down to con saves. Fighters are proficient in con saves, and even get to reroll saves later on if they really need to avoid losing concentration on haste.

It's probably fine unless you're hit by a really powerful save spell that deals a load of damage, in which case it could fuck you up.
>>
File: en3078e.jpg (36KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
en3078e.jpg
36KB, 312x445px
>>51674451
That is a truly terrible arrangement of rooms. Why would any sane person put the bedroom there?
>>
>>51674526
If you're playing EK you're going to want the War Caster feat.
>>
>>51674592
agreed, kitchen and bedroom should swap, leaving the observatory upstairs.
>>
>>51674592
I was about to say "for the view"

>>51674608
but this is a better option.
>>
File: 1275526286741.jpg (536KB, 1280x685px) Image search: [Google]
1275526286741.jpg
536KB, 1280x685px
>>51674451
The Arcanist is a hermit who lives on a cliff-side outside of town. People around say he's an okay neighbor, never caused any trouble as far as anyone can remember. He's short with his words, but isn't spiteful or mean, and he's friends with the local geologist. He tends to wander away in the middle of conversations as if he suddenly remembered something more important.

One day he shows up in town, beaten and bloody, and begs for help. He been researching how different types of materials affect golem and other constructs sate of mind. A group of mages and their hired muscle broke into his house and are stealing his research and prototypes. The Arcanist understands if the prototypes need to be destroyed but he needs his resarch notes intact and his house intact.

"It's quite literally the only thing I own." he says. He promises either a small amount of savings he has hidden in the house, or he can enchant a few minor to mid level trinkets for the party.
>>
Brand new GM. Just ran my second session this evening. I'm a bit confused about how I should hand out xp. Is it crazy to level them up to third level before the next session?
>>
>>51671431
I love playing Chaotic Good 'thief with a heart of gold' type characters, so I tend to be the Bard or the Rogue.
>>
Sea Sorcerer with spell sniper.
Fly and then Lightning Lure from 25 feet.
Will oppponent get pull up, take damage and then drop prone with 2d6 extra damage?
>>
>>51674233
They definitely should.

They should have made Sorcerers focus on magical powers, rather than spells. Though I'm not sure how to express that mechanically.

Perhaps make sorcerers more like monsters in the MM, where some of their powers use the Recharge x-y system where they can regain the use of a power with a good dice roll.
>>
Which of these two people are worse?

Player: I cast Conjure Animals, to get 8 Giant Poisonous Snakes, surrounding the enemy.
DM: You get 8 fish, that die immediately.
>>
>>51674779
Yeah that's the kind of things I was thinking about, like actual natural abilities, not necessarily big things and game changers but still
>>
Is lightning strike ever worth the spell slot?
>>
File: lighthouse_resize.jpg (1MB, 945x2903px) Image search: [Google]
lighthouse_resize.jpg
1MB, 945x2903px
>>51674639
>or he can enchant a few minor to mid level trinkets for the party.
or perhaps some bigger or more economically useful trinkets like an arcane fish preserving device...

is a good idea, plus golems and constructs give me a raging brainer. I have got to make sure he doesn't have more construct making supplies though.

next on my list of maps I'd like to use...a Lighthouse of some kind
>rambling begins here
out on a rocky island or a peninsula overlooking a reef?
monsters, mystery, or magical mayhem?
...probably required to be manned as part of the land ownership clauses...
they DID piss off a necromantic wizard a month and a few hundred miles of river-travel or so ago
>>
>>51674779
The dice rolling recharge mechanic certainly fits the chaotic Sorcerer flavor and Sorcerers are pretty much monsters.
>>
>>51674653
Rule of thumb is 2nd level first session 3rd level second session, after that it's about every 2-3 sessions depending on how fast you want to go
>>
Will I be questioned for playing as character opposite of my gender? First game on Thursday, I don't want criticizing eyes on me
>>
>>51674883
>questioned
Probably not.

>I don't want criticizing eyes on me.
Unavoidable.
>>
>>51674798
The DM.

The fish could easily last 3-5 rounds without water.
>>
>>51671769
If UA is allowed, the blademaster feat gives +1ac. Pair it with the fighting style that gives +1 AC for wearing armour. You will have 20 AC if wearing full plate at the expanse of not having reactions.
>>
>>51674779
>>51674831
So a sorcerer can cast a spell once, then at the start of each subsequent turn, they roll a d6.
On a 5 or 6, they regain one use of the spell. But they need not use it straight away.
>>
>>51674977
That could work if you enhance their cantrips so they're not doing fuck all waiting for their spell to recharge.
>>
Is there anyway for a Sea Sorcerer to push enemy and do damage with cantrip without dipping into 2 level of Warlock?
>>
Why blade ward doesn't have a duration if I can just keep re-casting it every turn until I enter combat?
>>
Is there a way to use cutting words on the target of a Maze spell ?
>>
>>51675100
"well don't you think this spell is a Mazing?
>>
>Little old, don't know if /tg/ saw

Is that a fucking D&D reference in there?
>>
>>51675136
I really doubt it references the full name of Mechanus.
>>
>>51674170
IMHO remove warlock, g8ve sorcerer warlocks casting style, warlock is a sorcerer archtype who gained their innate powers from a pact with a patron
>>
>>51675136
I think it's because recliners are full of gears
>>
So can you give me a quick rundown on the new Sorcerer origins?
>>
>Playing Paladin
>Use divine sense
>Dm responds
There arent any Demons, fey, or celestials in my world.

What Do...?
>>
>>51675489
Punch your DM in the scrote.
>>
>>51675489
Ask him to make it normal Detect Evil like the good ol' days.
>>
>>51675465
Favoured Soul again, sea sorcerer, fire sorcerer.
>>
>>51675570
Yeah, but like how good are they?
What's their schtick?
>>
>>51675489
"Why the fuck are we playing DnD then?"
>>
>>51675605
Favored soul is cleric sorcerer
Phoenix is fire sorcerer that rewards you for being in the middle of a fray and getting hit but not too well
Sea sorcerer is controlling movement and being highly mobile yourself
Stone sorcerer is melee, protecting your friends by teleporting to them the moment they're hit.
>>
Has anyone used this? How strong is it compared to the other traditions?
>>
>>51675489
Then how the fuck would warlock and cleric work?
>>
>>51675788
Eh, it's not impossible
>Cleric
>represent philosophies and certain traditions and esotheric teachings
>Warlock
>GOO, seeker, undying only and fuck undying light its a shit, A SHIT
Also he didn't say that fiends, fey and celestials outside of his world are impossible to communicate with.
>>
File: loliwhitemage.jpg (683KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
loliwhitemage.jpg
683KB, 768x1024px
>Favored Soul
>Blessed Countenance
>At 6th level, your divine essence causes you to undergo a minor physical transformation. Your appearance takes on an otherworldly version of one of the following qualities (your choice): beautiful, youthful, kind, or imposing.
>youthful
Hol on, so you saying what I think you are saying?
>>
>>51675835
Undying light is fine as long as you don't give a fuck about the fluff, which you shouldn't. Because fluff should never be as important as crunch in DnD

Personally I just refluff them as 4e-style star-pact warlocks. Considering that old one warlocks fail at representing the "dire radiance" side of the old star pact
>>
>>51675873
>Undying light is fine as long as you don't give a fuck about the fluff, which you shouldn't. Because fluff should never be as important as crunch in DnD
Yeah, that's what I was mad about.
Crunch-wise it's one of the better ones, because at the very least it presents an alternative to endless eldritch blasting with built-in agonizing invo for fire and radiant related spells. Yeah it's not as blasty, but it opens up a spare cantrip and invocation slot, which is nice.
>>
File: Mami_Madoka.png (456KB, 813x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mami_Madoka.png
456KB, 813x800px
>>51675872
>mami
>a loli
Learn your weebshit.
>>
>>51675934
So what's the fucking matter then?

It's so easy to refluff everything, and yet you claim that one of the more mechanically sound UA archetypes is shit solely because of lazy fluff?

What the fuck?
>>
>>51675965
Well, shit, I just chose the most fitting picture I found.
>>
>>51675872
>Not being a mary sue so beautiful that it's a curse healslut
>>
>>51675872
> tfw handsome orc
>>
>>51676020
>your only traits are that you are beautiful and can heal
>don't even know any useful skills and how to actually use spells or heal, or how to pray and do rituals, you are just born with these abilities
I like this kind of a healslut a lot.
>>
>>51671611
sounds like an awful idea DESU
>>
>>51675788
>>51675835

So in his setting ALL the gods are Giant Beasts. Like in Princess Mononoke.

He said Warlocks and Druids are connected to the Giant Beasts. There are Saints of these beasts, Paladins and Clerics are connected to the Saints.

We have a Fiend Lock in our group, so i don't really know how that works...his fiend patron is based off of something called a Qalupalik. I guess we just refluffed it. I don't think my DM knows that Warlocks make a Deal with their patron for power, cause there's never been anykind of demands from their patrons put on the player.

>>51675873
>>51675934
In my setting, there is a recurring NPC Undying Light Warlock. He's actually a Paladin/Warlock multiclass character idea i had, and makes a fun NPC. His "Undying Light" is the power source for !Atlantis in my setting. It also happened to be the thing that destroyed !Atlantis in my setting. Not that he knows that.

He's always trying to impose ancient laws and traditions on the party
>You have to eat cold food before hot food
>You can't use both a straight blade and a curved blade
>no no no, you can't have a marching order like that, shortest people in the front.

He's so disconnected with regular society he trades information about dungeons for gossip and current events in regular society.

They've encountered him a few times, he's not interested in their goals so he maybe sticks around for one battle, but most of the time he's just hanging out in Dungeons looking at ancient tablets or ruins. I try to make them seem like Dark Souls npcs, they have their own shit to do, the players are just crossing paths with them.
>>
so why the fuck is a spyglass 1000 gp?
>>
>>51676245
Same reason full plate is 1500.
>>
>>51671431
Favorite class is Sorcerer, specifically the Draconic Origin. I've always liked the idea of casting magic through force of will rather than intense study. I've never used official content backgrounds, we usually just pick one skill our characters would realistically be good at and go with that. As far as races go, Kobold. And not any of that faggy cutebold shit either. My best one was a NG Kobold Eldritch Knight that was raised as the servant of a silver dragon. We lost him to a demon. RIP.
>>
>>51676268
what is the benefit of seeing things twice their size?
>>
yeah so a sailor boy who has a crush on my character gave me his spyglass to remember him by. He use the thing to point out sights for me. Now I realize that it's fucking 1000 gold and he'll be working his ass to pay he quartermaster back....
>>
>>51671431
Favorite class is probably Paladin. I never play a Paladin who follows a god though, because I love the idea of a Paladin's power coming from within. Their conviction to their oath is so strong that divine power flows through them. Power of the Heart/Soul. Seems awesome to me.

For backgrounds, i like hermit because I like the idea of having some bit of knowledge that is specific to my character.

Dragonborn are probably my favorite race, but my current DM put the kibosh on "Monstrous Races". The farthest is can go if Tiefling, which is just "Human with Demon horns" in his setting. He did this because when I play characters of this kind of race I go overboard with physical descriptions and his response is "no way a regular person wouldn't be grabbing a torch and pitchfork the moment you walk into town"

Next character I make is probably gonna be something mundane, but he's gonna be an armor smith and I am just gonna have his quest to make some kind of awesome indestructible armour...that looks like a Beetle!
>>
>>51676490
>Tiefling, which is just "Human with Demon horns" in his setting
That's the worst kind of tiefling, honestly.
Chasme/dretch tieflings when?
>>
>>51676490
>"no way a regular person wouldn't be grabbing a torch and pitchfork the moment you walk into town"
Then don't walk into towns, could probably find a couple of activities outside as well. Or, if you have to, use a shitton of rags and a disguise kit for cover.
>>
>>51676131
>Focus on charisma skills and only charisma skills
>Crap stealth, dumb as a sack of rocks, but damn is she sexy and persuasive
Bonus points if you multiclass into rogue for expertise and just put it into persuasion and performance.
>>
>>51676298
Its compact, easily carried, and super useful for scouting shit out.
It costs that much because its not a normal good but a fairly high tech craft that requires multiple artisans. However, in a magical world you could easily drop the price some due to more efficient methods of creating it.
>>
>>51675022
>>51674977
>>51674831
I really like this idea. I'm just picturing high-tension moments where the Sorcerer begins their turn and everybody waits with bated breath to see if he rolls a 6 that'll let him re-cast the clutch Fireball, or something
it'd be sick
>>
>>51675489
Paladins can change spells, right?
It's still a dick move but at least you're not stuck with the thing. I think.
>>
File: shambling_mound.png (194KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
shambling_mound.png
194KB, 293x400px
I have a question about damage resolution.
If a monster has the Multiattack trait and performs two attacks worth 7 damage on a 3/11 HP hero, does the hero die from massive damage (14), or does the first hit knock them unconscious and the second gives them a death save penalty?

Also requesting the Way of the Knife Soul picture for my own amusement.
>>
>>51676826
>the first hit knock them unconscious and the second gives them a death save penalty?
This
>>
>>51676826
The latter, since they're technically separate attacks.
>>
>>51673779
>Even assuming your post isn't bait, you're a dumbass if you want revenge on a party member who had no say in rolling a nat 1.
>>51673810
>Don't be a nigger. Just joke about it.

>IC

What the fuck is "nat 1"?????
>>
>>51673810
>If it's like ammunition, you spend some time searching for it and get half of them back.

See this is what I don't get. If I shoot a bunch of arrows, it makes perfect sense for some to break, some and some to be lodged too deeply into enemies to be removed intact. But a goddamn handaxe breaks half the time when I throw it? Is there any point to this other than just making it so I never, ever want to throw a melee weapon in combat?
>>
>>51676826
monster multiattacks work just like player multiattacks. They make the first attack and resolve any damage, then they make the second attack. Unless the monster wants to use their attack on the (now) unconscious PC, it still has the option to go after anyone else in range.
>>
>>51673156
Refulfed a gorgon to be made of crystal
Goblin statblock for mooks
>>
>>51677233
>Why the fuck did you shoot me in the back?
>Sorry it was a mistake
There you go you autist. Also how the hell does a nat 1 result in you blowing up your own team mates?
>>
>>51677233
"Sorry Mr. Nigger, in the heat of battle I missed the zombie and ended up hitting you. Are you hurt? Do you need any assistance?"

>>51677247
Just houserule you get more of them back then.
>>
>>51677233
>What the fuck is "nat 1"?????
lurk moar
>>
Just curious, for those of you who've played in more gritty/grimdark settings, what kind of characters and backgrounds did you make? I'm used to standard fantasy but my group wants to play something more inspired by Golden Age Berserk and to a lesser extent the Souls series. On one end I don't want to go full cringe but on the other a setting like that is kinda asking for it
>>
>>51677346
Use Haunted One background
>>
You guys got any nice character sheets? About to play DnD for the first time in a long time and for whatever reason I remember preferring third-party character sheets (though this was back in 3.5).
>>
>>51677375
>>
>>51677346
Yeah, that makes sense and would be a solid choice, but I wasn't referring to the background mechanic when I asked about peoples character backgrounds. Sorry if unclear.
>>
Questions:

Ambush at night

Warlock she has pact of the blade
- a staff of defense

If he is sleeping, he has 10dex ac

Should I allow him to summon his staff and cast mage armor? I'm thinking no, just let him summon his staff like the fighter/ranger picks up their weapons.

Also warlock pacts kind of suck
>>
>>51676792
Divine Sense isn't a spell. Really it's just a ribbon, so it won't be that big a deal if the party never runs into any undead or fiends at all
>>
>>51677423
Meant for >>51677358
>>
>>51677432
Mage Armor is only an action to cast. Why the fuck would you not let him use it?
>>
>>51677432
Not really sure what you're asking. It doesn't take an action to pick up weapons so I don't know why the warlock wouldn't be able to summon his staff and cast mage armor
>>
>>51677447
He can use an action to use it. I'm talking about being ambushed at night - no one but the one on watch had armor, summoning a weapon is an action, casting mage armor is too. He wants to do this during the surprise round.
>>
>>51677463
So should everyone get a full action before the fighting actually starts? Should the fighter be able to pump four arrows into a target with action surge before any blows are done? Should the wizard be allowed to cast fireball before the enemy gets to respond? Sounds like a shitty ambush if the players get a whole turn before the people who ambushed them.

On topic I would say no, the enemy has surprise, if he wants mage armor he can cast it his first turn, otherwise he is forced to run around with his naked AC like a fighter would.
>>
>>51677506
Oh, I see. Then I agree with you there. I didn't realize you meant he wanted to use an action on the surprise round.
>>
File: b93[1].png (335KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
b93[1].png
335KB, 600x600px
>>51677343

>one lone zombie
>surrounded by 3 people
>somehow missing and shooting me instead

idk man

Forgot to mention, this is the second time he hit me with an eldritch blast.
>>
So this was kind of weird, my group REALLY liked it

>PCs murderhobo boss of a gang in their hideout
>they meat grinder everyone that runs in hearing the fighting
>the last bandit to run in sees 15 corpses
>turns around to run
>I allow the party to all attack of opportunity, even the caster
>3 of them crit
>basically robocop this guy getting ripped apart

Any of you do this?
>>
>>51677465
It's likely that he cast Mage Armor before he went to sleep, if je has that invocation that lets him use it at will. It lasts 8 hours, doesn't require concentration, and is made of immaterial magical force so you probably can't even feel it.
>>
>>51677858
He gains mage armor from his staff
>>
>>51677878
Then he could have cast it on himself before he went to sleep. If he didn't, he gets it again as soon as he casts it. Why is this situation confusing in any way?
>>
>>51677915
>could
But he didn't
>>
Are any of the Unearthed Arcanas unbalanced to the point I should discourage my players from rolling them?

I'm barring usage of Technomancer due to the setting but not sure about the performance of others.
>>
>>51675136

Ronnie plays D&D, but I don't think he's making a planar reference there.
>>
>>51677973
So he didn't. He gets it again as soon as he chooses to spend an action to cast it. What does he want?
>>
>>51678036
The Mystic is pretty messed up, and the Ambuscade ranger is something everyone would take a level in if they could.
>>
Any fun/cheesy multiclass ideas for Lore Bard?
>>
>>51678298
Warlock 2/Lore X. Eldritch blast is a much better damage dealer that anything bard has. Roleplay as guy who made deal with power, and is scouring lore for loopholes out.
>>
What's a good way to RP a 6 INT character?
>>
Ok

What do you guys do for minis?

An anon suggested buying booster boxes. Got two, not worth it.

Just want some minis for general use that aren't $5 a model
>>
>>51678334
I actually was considering that with a character based off these fuckers since it fits Repelling Blast really well.

Only issue is I already have 3 other chars with a 2 Warlock dip for the same purpose and I don't want my DM to think I'm some kind of uncreative fuck.
>>
>>51677345
There are no rules that say natural 1s are complete fuck-ups.

Why are halflings immune to fuck-ups?

How come an experienced, trained sorlock of level 20 has 1-(19/20)^8 chance of hitting a teammate literally every round?

However, I can understand that >>51677576
actually makes it plausible, as you're firing with 3 people around a lone target, and nat 1s, if you houserule they cause fuck-ups, should only cause fuck-ups where there's room for fuck-ups, such as if you're firing right past people.

I prefer the 'crit fail check' and 'crit check' homerulings to give potential (But not gauranteed, less likely if you have a good modifier) additional effects to nat 20s and nat 1s, though.
>>
>>51677423
I thought you might get some inspiration from reading it.
>>
>>51678334
>fun
>>
I've been hanging out on /pfg/ in preparation of a Pathfinder campaign and I just wanted to say that I'm glad /5eg/ is so much better. Holy fuck that place is bad, and I'm not sure sitting around in it has actually taught me anything at all for playing.
>>
>>51678422

yeah I'm going to discuss with my Dm ways to make "hitting your teammates" less likely as you go up in levels. So far we're still low enough that no one has extra attacks so we haven't reached the situation of "the level 12 fighter has a much higher chance of critical failure than he did at level 1, wtf"
>>
I'm looking for inspiration for Treachery/Conquest paladins, so post characters that fit pls.

Here's an easy one, but the question is Treachery or Conquest?
>>
>>51671919
For what purpose would you do this besides height insecurities.
>>
>>51678506
I'm here to shit on every cool character idea you have by saying 'Your character would be more powerful if you did X' and leave you not having fun but metagaming instead.
>>
>>51678526
Just as a reason for them to leave Dwarf lands and also so I can play a dwarf that gets uppity about being called tall instead of short.
>>
File: JudgeDredd_splas-bg-3.jpg (443KB, 2048x1501px) Image search: [Google]
JudgeDredd_splas-bg-3.jpg
443KB, 2048x1501px
>>51678524
Conquest
>>
File: Life.jpg (28KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Life.jpg
28KB, 720x720px
>>51678539
But that's not very nice
>>
>>51678522
Way I've got it is
A) Even if the fighter rolls one nat 1, it won't do anything unless their next roll also misses. But if they make 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 attacks and roll 2 nat 1s they're probably still getting it. Not sure about 11 attacks, but god forbid you play at level 20 and they have all this bullshit on them. Though a fighter sorlock can easily make 12 attacks without haste at level 17.
B) Whenever a nat 1 or 20 is rolled, a new roll with an indentical modifier but no advantage/disadvantage is rolled. Standard DC to beat is 10 but situations such as a tough monster for nat 20s or there being lots of ways to fuck up on a nat 1 will put the DC higher. If you beat the DC, only normal nat 1 rules apply and nat 20s get an additional possible effect (Say, dismemberment of target or knocking something prone or something fancy). Failing the DC might cause a blunder (nat 1) or just normal nat 20 rules (for nat 20).
>>
File: Overlord Rosa Velvet.jpg (290KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Overlord Rosa Velvet.jpg
290KB, 1280x800px
>>51678524
Conquest.
>>
>>51673429
You have shit dm. It's their fault for adjudicating poorly/having fumbles in the first place.
>>
File: latest[1].png (1MB, 1061x800px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1MB, 1061x800px
>>51678694
>not having crit fumbles
>>
Is there a better source of Forgotten Realms gods and their Domains and Alignments than the PHB?
>>
>>51678750
Does that really apply when it can presumably affect enemies as well?
>>
>>51678759
SCAG of course. Any older info bout the gods could also be relevant, but could also just be retconned shit.
>>
>>51678694
>>51678750
Crit fumbles are great. They make combat less static, it ensures that doing absolutely stupid things (Firing through an entire crowd) can potentially have consequences and often leads to interesting developments in a fight, hence the 'less static' part. It feels like more can happen in a fight, too.

However, you have to be careful with crit fumbles as ones that fuck over the players on EVERY nat 1 can get stale real quick. That's why you either have crit fumble checks to ensure that it isn't 1/20 of the time but actually less often, and people trying things that they're bad at are more likely to fumble than an expert.
>>
>>51678791
Of course! How silly of me. Thanks!
>>
File: Bakemono - The Face.png (90KB, 263x229px) Image search: [Google]
Bakemono - The Face.png
90KB, 263x229px
Any good SKT Let's Plays? Seeing some on Youtube but I'm not sure what exactly are good ones. I need some ideas and some inspiration before my SKT run next week since I'm DMing.
>>
>>51673905
5th level? Sure
>>
What's a good way to balance out a PC that wants to have a born-blind monk?
>>
>>51678916
Automatically fail any sight checks, gain advantage on checks made to feel or hear.
>>
Gonna give my players a chance to get a flying fortress as a base after they hit level 7 next session.
It's going to be full of traps and shit when they try to take over it though.
How fast would a floating island even move? Not too fast I suppose, since it can move 24/7 so it's travel speed at even 1 mile per hour would put it on the same tier as just walking.
Maybe just 2 or 3 miles per hour for starters and an option to increase it if they decide to dump their money on upgrading the fort.
>>
>>51678943
Sounds alright. Be careful about giving players free flight, though.

I'd put a limitation on how low it can go/how much control they have over it.
>>
Artifact idea

Intended to be used by a fiend warlock

Fategorge eye
Artifact
The third eye of an archdevil that used divination magic

The eye is larger than a standard humanoids and is solid purple with a red slitted iris.

Holding the eye gives the creature insight on how to attune with it - holding it to your forehead will cause it to burrow into your skull.

Any creature attuned to the eye can see through magical darkness and +3 to passive perception. Any creature not attuned that stares into it suffers 1d6 psychic damage.

The eye allows you to regain any spell slot in exchange for 1d8 health loss per level. The eye bleeds that health loss.

As a bonus action, you can undo or relive and try to change the outcome of any event in time that the eye has seen. Doing so curses a moment in your fate in an unforeseen way. The eye closes and you lose all bonuses until the cursed moment passes.
>>
File: dishonored-mainjpg-6e4e98_1280w.jpg (224KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dishonored-mainjpg-6e4e98_1280w.jpg
224KB, 1280x720px
Are there any other characters in media that really fit the bill of 5th Edition warlocks? Sometimes the concept is hard to process for players.
>>
>>51679099
I love Warlocks to an unhealthy degree. Which is odd since your pic is really more of a Rogue/Shadow Monk.
>>
>>51677293
That's cool.

I used the gorgon as like a living Sicilian bull, with the souls of victims trapped within it.
>>
>>51679099
> Madoka
> Ghost Rider
> Christian depictions of witches, who sell out their asses to Satan and get magic powers in return.
>>
File: micolash2.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
micolash2.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
>>51679099
>the concept is hard to process for players.
Are your players actual retards?
I mean yeah the flavour of faustian deals has been expanded upon a bit to include stuff like fey and whatnot, and certain exceptions like GOO may (and MAY is an important word here) include patrons that don't even acknowledge of the warlocks existance, but at the core it's still the same as it's written in PHB
>Sworn and Beholden
>A warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being, Sometimes the relationship between warlock and patron is like that of a cleric and a deity, though the beings that serve as patrons for warlocks are not gods, A warlock might lead a cult dedicated to a demon prince, an archdevil, or an utterly alien entity - beings not typically served by clerics, More often, though, the arrangement is similar to that between a master and an apprentice, The warlock learns and grows in power,at the cost of occasional services performed on the patron's behalf.
>Otherworldly Patron
>At 1st level, you have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being of your choice - etc. etc. etc.
Shit's crystal clear and the concept of devil deals is far from being new.
>>
>>51679124
In his actual skills, sure, but he's pretty explicitly got a deal with a patron that bothers him for giggles.

Outsider patron would basically let you do Rogue/Shadow Monk without having to multiclass.
>>
>>51679211
Mostly it's finding good examples to help clear out how vague the concept of the Patron deal is and give good inspiration.

Most people get the gist of the idea, but the Patron relationship is a lot more intimate in certian ways than, say, Paladins and Clerics.
>>
>>51678298
Lore Bard/Illusion Wizard

Use minor illusion to summon a variety of musical instruments to play/use as your bard focus, up to and including being a one man band, and eventually graduating to summon a grand piano with major illusion. Cosy up with your DM and maybe they'll even let you use Illusory Reality to drop it on someone, Wile E Coyote style.

>>51678360
Grog Strongjaw
>>
>>51671491
Do not have them make characters separate, have them make the characters together so there is some semblance of cohesion between them.
>>
>>51679290
>grand piano
>not a pipe organ
>>
>>51679305
Hey, as long as it fits in a 20ft cube, it's game.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg (190KB, 621x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg
190KB, 621x1000px
>>51678360
>>
File: daredevil-131112[1].jpg (526KB, 903x669px) Image search: [Google]
daredevil-131112[1].jpg
526KB, 903x669px
>>51678916
Brick-red spandex
>>
>>51678916
How do they want to combat blindness?

There's magical blindsight, echolocation and tremorsense, going from most powerful to least powerful.

Their 'deflect missiles' ability is replaced with 'Attackers do not have advantage to attack you from being outside of your vision', however they may still use deflect missiles if the attack originated from within their sight.
They'll probably have sight to about 20ft or 30ft, but beyond that they'll automatically fail a lot of sight related things, they won't be able to discern colour and may often fumble to even identify creatures or things if by themselves.

The key is to make sure the monk has times they're proven useful, but also times they have to rely on teammates to help them.

Since they can hear they already know the location of non-hidden enemies even beyond their sight range. If you don't understand, you should brush up on detection/hiding rules.

The monk also does not gain any advantage from being unseen, ever. (Darkness, natural darkness, etc).
>>
>>51678360
There is no good way. It has been played to fucking death.

Stop dumping int and thinking you can still have a fun character.

Otherwise, don't play them as dumb, play them as 'really, really bad fucking memory' or 'knowledgable, but their thought process is slow and it takes forever for them to pick up on things'

But try to avoid it turning your character into a true idiot that's just there to be 'lol randumb' or 'I'm dumb so I do dumb thing'
>>
>>51679359
>Stop dumping [insert stat] and thinking you can still have a fun character.
>If someone played this way before in the history of role-playing games then it's bad.
Yeah, if you say so.
>>
>>51679359
I'm actually asking for a friend, he rolled a 6 and put it in INT because he uses it as an excuse to make poor decisions.
Those are good suggestions though, thanks.
>>
>>51679222
Love to see someone do this one right. As is, never seen a good one.
>>
>>51679410
>an excuse to make poor decisions.
That's really more of a wisdom thing
>>
>>51679405
Every other barbarian and every third fighter dumps int to 8 or lower and uses it as an excuse to do as >>51679410
said

'I have a dumb character, so they'll do dumb shit all the time because lol'

Dumping pretty much ANY other stat leads to more interesting situations.

A high int low wisdom character is your typical mad scientist - comes up some crazy great ideas that baffles everyone, although half the reason everybody's baffled is the fact that realistically the plan isn't going to be done because of money, morals or the like.
A low charisma character might be shy or lack confidence, but may still speak up and actually be relevant, which is better than doing dumb shit 24/7.
A low strength character is just weedy and needs help from their stronger teammates.
A low con character has not much left for their world and may be trying to overcome some deathly illness.
A low dex character may be clumsy and/or haphazard, but that still doesn't make them dumb.

The problem is that while you CAN do low int well, low int usually leads to 'Lol I'm dumb look at me be dumb'
>>
>>51679359
>Stop dumping int and thinking you can still have a fun character.
Stop making systems that encourage players having an intscore of a giant eagle.
>>
>>51671740
You could just play something normal, ya wanker
>>
Could use a bit of help naming something.

Gonna give my players a bit of a downtime session with a big festival, and one event is basically Iron Chef but part of it is hunting & scavenging exotic ingredients provided by the competition holder. What would be a good not-Iron Chef name for this competition?

I was gonna go with Cobalt Cook Competition but it sounds flaccid honestly.
>>
>>51679457
Well, it all depends on the player then.
You might as well shitty roleplay all the other stats to the min, like acting like an autist with low wis or acting like a creep with low charisma.
I've seen players making fun dumb characters, you don't have to make retarded decisions on purpose just to annoy everyone if you are roleplaying as a dumb character though.
>>
>>51678360
Way I see it is like this

>low INT, High WIS
>I don't know what the fuck soap is, what the fuck the "left Hand Rule" is, or how to properly tell beige from tan
>but I do know going near a pack of direwolf nests covered in the blood of your enemies isn't the smartest thing to do

>High INT, Low WIS
>I made a magical artifact that can cause instantaneous sensations of diarrhea within the surrounding area, but it only affects blonde people
>why?
>...

>low INT, Low WIS
>I'm going to fuck that fire elemental

Just keep in mind the simple guidelines:
Knowledge != Wisdom
Wisdom != Knowledge
You can be the smartest bookworm and know how to build complex machines, but have no fucking idea how to properly navigate in a sandstorm.
Likewise, you can deal with almost any given situation with your quick wits, but have no fucking idea how to sail a boat.
Always keep in mind that WIS is more inline with common sense compared to INT, so you can still be dumb with low INT, but have common sense to know to not jump into fires.
>>
>>51679505
Ferrous Food Festival.
>>
>>51679505
Boy Meats World
>>
File: [honks internaly].png (50KB, 209x193px) Image search: [Google]
[honks internaly].png
50KB, 209x193px
>>51679505
Gourmet Race
>>
>>51678360
My favourite take on low int is a character who doesn't believe they have low int.

It can be tricky to play but you need to play it like your character is smart without actually being smart. Put forth plans that're internally logical, but founded on some huge mistake and would never actually work. Rank into knowledge when you can get away with it and when you fail checks, pull out inaccurate information. Make sure to say "I knew that" every once in awhile at completely inappropriate times.
>>
>>51679479
The system encourages a minimum of 8 but fuck Wizards really fucked up stat balance.

>>51679553
People don't tend to have fun making autist character or such, though. They're much elss common offenders.
>>
>>51679643
>The system encourages a minimum of 8
As I said, intscore of a giant eagle.
>>
>>51679664
I was doubting an eagle would get such an int score

But then I realized it's giant and unnatural

So that's actually different, because it's essentially a supernatural monster.
>>
>>51679643
I'm pretty sure there are people out there with their autistic low int wizards and shit.
Well, just saying that you can roleplay any character if you are not acting retarded about it.
>>
>>51679690
>because it's essentially a supernatural monster
Then it'd have a Monstrosity type.
>>
I'm playing a fighter in a group of casters, how useless am I going to be?
>>
>>51679818
Depends how good the casters are, and what casters exactly they are.

Chances are they'll handle out of combat stuff much better than you can, though.
>>
>>51679851
Yeah, I guess if I really start worrying I can just pick up a few caster levels and have fun being part of the group that way.
>>
Does anyone have that "READ NIGGA READ" image of the handbook?
>>
>>51674883
I just played for the first time with a guy who was playing a girl. It was jarring at first, but he's quite camp and he's actually a lot of fun as a person, it worked well.
>>
File: efb.jpg (63KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
efb.jpg
63KB, 600x686px
>>51679900
>5 seconds on google
>>
I'm having a surprisingly fun time playing a warlock multiclass without EB.

>DM let the party buy a two-headed death dog variant
>use the invocation to cast speak with animals 24/7
>cast darkness with drow magic, use devil's sight to be the only one with advantage/no disadvantage
>use hex and dual-wielding to do pretty solid damage, Rogue Swashbuckler so no opportunity attacks, sneak attacks almost always guaranteed

Shit's cash.
>>
>>51679982
I had no confidence in it. Thanks anyhow.
>>
>>51680023
>No disadvantage

You wouldn't normally have disadvantage anyway, though, unless you're in an area of darkness attacking someone with the 'alert' feat who isn't in an area of darkness.
>>
>>51679953
One guy in my group is playing a female half-elf. It's fine because he's not an autist.
Actually it's kind of funny at times too, because the character is a little flirty when she wants something from NPCs. One of our other players who's an IRL grill (and in game grill) is always playing the "sober friend" who grabs her by the arm and drags her away from doing stupid shit.
>>
>>51680051
Disadvantage on hitting someone you can't see, surely?
>>
>>51680281
And advantage because they can't see you.
>>
>>51680303
You have a good point. Still, I'm the only one who doesn't have either in my cloud of death.
>>
File: GuildWars2-04-1440x900.jpg (404KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
GuildWars2-04-1440x900.jpg
404KB, 1440x900px
On a scale of 1-retarded how bad is this? I made the character before making a statblock for it but now I feel like it's just not very good at all.

Dragonborn Revenant (For Necrotic Breath Weapon, refluffed into some kind of Half-Undead looking loosely like pic related, uses Disguise Self when in towns)

>Undying Warlock 3, Pact of Blade
>Spells (Ones that don't use CHA)-
>Booming Blade, GFB, Spare the Dying (Undying)
>Hex, Armor of Agathys
>Darkness, Misty Step
>Invocations- Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces

>Long Death Monk X (Though Kensei might be better mechanically)

Unfortunately due to the MAD nature of this I wouldn't be playing it without having good rolled stats.
>inb4 some sperg says rolling is badwrongfun
>>
>>51680023
>Hex and Dual-wielding
>Swashbuckler
Booming Blade is really fun to play around with, especially if you have war caster.
>>
>>51680483
New thread.
>>
>>51680480
I've got BB as well, but seem to find myself using the current combo more. You can't dual wield with BB because it's not an Attack, so I miss out on the double hex damage.
>>
>>51680544
I have a Warlcok Swashbuckler as well, I run with a shield and warcaster i prefer that over the dual-wielding cause Dashing is fun, and the explosion from BB scales really well.
>>
>>51680475
>Spells (Ones that don't use CHA)-
>GFB
try again
>>
>>51680977
Well yeah but it's only used for the secondary target.

Really the only reason I took that is there's not a whole lot of other options besides maybe Friends to be used with the Mask of Many Faces for shenanigans, which doesn't really fit the character, or True Strike/Blade Ward.
>>
>>51673905

Hmm. Considering the mass of enemies a 60ft. cone would hurt, I'd be inclined to say....no.

Make it into a line attack and then you'll be getting somewhere. Maybe up the level of the spell too.
>>
File: IMG_1983.jpg (32KB, 304x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1983.jpg
32KB, 304x488px
>>51676131
>>
>>51678386
Have tokens on my pc. Print, cut out, laminate. Cheap and lasting.
Otherwise no. D&D is not so popular that there would be some chinese mass producing them.
>>
>>51674156
How about you can use a one-handed ranged weapon with one hand, but you actually have to use a different weapon to use the bonus action attack. So you can use hand crossbow and shield, but don't get the bonus attack. Or you can use two weapons to get the bonus attack. Either melee and hand crossbow, or two hand crossbows.
>>
>>51676682
>multiclass into rogue

>>51677247
Since there's no rule that you get half, we've been running that you can find them all. You don't normally have trouble finding a javelin.
>>
>>51674800
Not a spell
>>
>>51675872
+17 Intimidate loli
>>
>>51681612
>>multiclass into rogue
Meant to quote
>>51681197
Because she so did.
>>
Shillelagh and Harvest’s Scythe dont mix right
>>
Is College of Whispers even worth considering when compared to other Bard schools?

I feel like playing an edgy Bard.
>>
I think a Bard who uses chanting for spellcasting could be cool, something like an extended version of Shouts from Skyrim for longer spells or full-on ripoff of Shouts for instant cast ones.

Trouble is I know nothing about that kind of music.

If you can think of anything that would fit for references could you post it? Ideally things that have harsh sounding chanting, otherwise Gregorian Chant would fit perfectly, however most of it I know is rather "smooth" sounding.
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.