[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 445
Thread images: 29

File: 1484262964115.jpg (806KB, 1275x1820px) Image search: [Google]
1484262964115.jpg
806KB, 1275x1820px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51671431

You have twenty seconds to come up with the most retarded race-class combination and then justify it in story.
>>
>>51680408
It's actually good, because casting darkness won't disrupt your teammates, except for 'you must see your target' attacks/saves.
>>
Drow paladin
>PELOR, THE BURNING HATE
>>
File: Orrian_Undead2.jpg (93KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Orrian_Undead2.jpg
93KB, 1000x600px
>>51680483
>You have twenty seconds to come up with the most retarded race-class combination and then justify it in story.

What a coincidence, I just posted this in the last thread. >>51680475

On a scale of 1-retarded how bad is this? I made the character before making a statblock for it but now I feel like it's just not very good at all.

Dragonborn Revenant (For Necrotic Breath Weapon, refluffed into some kind of Half-Undead looking loosely like pic related, uses Disguise Self when in towns)

>Undying Warlock 3, Pact of Blade
>Spells (Ones that don't use CHA)-
>Booming Blade, GFB, Spare the Dying (Undying)
>Hex, Armor of Agathys
>Darkness, Misty Step
>Invocations- Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces

>Long Death Monk X (Though Kensei might be better mechanically)

Unfortunately due to the MAD nature of this I wouldn't be playing it without having good rolled stats.
>inb4 some sperg says rolling is badwrongfun
>>
>>51680518
Doesn't hurt that you can focus the darkness on an object and the cloud just moves with you. Wherever I go, free advantage.
>>
>>51680544
But using two weapons uses a bonus action, and hex uses a bonus action, so you have to get lucky that the target you hexed doesn't die before your next turn or something.
>>
Tiefling Monk who is terrified of natural elements but was blessed/cursed to be an expert in using those exact things.

Also has anyone used this version of the way of the four elements monk? Does anyone know if the Fist of Unbroken Air ability can be used with Sharpshooter or Stunning Strike?
>>
>>51680589
True, but hex persists, whereas Bb is a one off. And it relies on them moving. Hex works out better for most occasions. But I do like BB.
>>
>>51680631
What level are you at?
>>
>>51680655
Currently Rogue 3/Warlock 2. Low charisma for reasons, but 17 Dex.
>>
Thinking about giving my Fighter the Magic Initiate feat and snagging Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade, but I'm a bit conflicted on the lvl1 spell. I could either get Shield or Hex. I'm not sure which one to take because both could be really big boons.
>>
>>51680690
>Warlock 2
What Pact are you thinking about picking?

>Assuming you are dual-wielding Shortswords

2d6(weapon damage)+3d6(SA)+2d6(Hex)

>Assuming Booming Blade with a Rapier

2d8(Weapon+BB)+3d6(SA)+1d6(Hex)+2d8(if they move) And you keep your bonus action on subsequent turns.

How often do creatures move after they got
booming bladed in your game?
>>
What's the "best" way to make a monk if you're a powergaming nigger? It seems like a real pain in the ass to make a Monk that can keep up with other classes.

>inb4 "dont play monk"
>>
>>51680794
Kansai with great weapon master if your DM allows UA, Open Hand if they don't. Shadow if you're playing an Underdark campaign.
>>
>>51680631
Hex only persists until the creature dies, then takes a new bonus action to transfer.

Unless you fight lots of big monsters, it's a bit awkward with overloading your bonus actions with
>attack
or
>hex
or
>cunning action
>>
>>51680794
Shadow Monk 6, Swashbuckler Rogue 2.

Hit and run like a motherfucker.
>>
>>51680794
Does monk really have trouble keeping up with just standard optimization? It's never felt like they needed any special tricks to me.
>>
>>51680830
>cunning action
Swashbuckler generally means I don't need to. No opportunity attacks from the one I'm fighting.

>takes a new bonus action to transfer
This is where I usually get BB involved.

>>51680782
Blade, as much for story as for actual use. Seem to spend a lot of time assassinating people, sneaking weapons around is useful.

I don't disagree about the raw damage, but our DM doesn't seem to move the enemies as much - and bear in mind dual wielding gives two chances to hit, rather than one, which works out well with the damage stacking.
>>
>>51680900
Well it depends. Do you want to be able to win on your own? A bit. Do you expect to be relegated to stun-bitch? It's fine as is.
>>
>>51680904
>Dual-Wielding gives two chances to hit,rather than one

Good Point! Gotta hit something to make the damage happen so no complaints there.
>>
>>51680483
Male human fighter.
>>
>>51680904
Well, that does sound like a good tactic.

Shortsword is only -1 damage compared to rapier, so using booming blade whenever you can't use the bonus action works out.

Once you reach 5 levels of warlock you can pick up extra attack, probably.

Don't underestimate cunning action on swashbuckler, though - being able to dash away from enemies so they can't move and then attack you is great, because most enemies are strongest in melee.
>>
How do you powergame as a Bard?
As in, when do you stop uselessly casting Vicious Mockery on Awakened Shrubs that succeed the Wis saving throw?
>>
>>51680955
>>51680995
It's good fun, and so far I haven't done any better or worse than the rest of the party damage wise. Lot more fun than >turretlock anyway.
>>
Is Long Death any good or should I just go Open Hand and refluff to be edgy?
>>
>>51681078
>faerie fire
>crossbow and bow
>inspirations

Seriously, attack cantrips are not how you powergame unless you're a lock.
>>
>>51681169
>faerie fire
>crossbow and bow

If you have to maintain concentration and you're a bard (IE your spellcasting focus is an instrument), this doesn't seem feasible unless you have a shawm or harmonica fixed to your mouth.
>>
>>51680483

Footfaggotry?
>>
>>51681242
Don't need to keep your hand on your wand to concentrate on the spell
>>
>>51681242
You only need the focus when you cast the spell, more importantly, you don't need to play from it somehow.
>>
Sorcerer spell slots recharge on a 5 or 6 result from a d6 rolled at the start of each of their turns.

Thoughts?
>>
Since my character died sacrificing himself in order to save rest of the party allowed me to have a bonus for a new character.

I want to create cavalier with exotic mount like pic related. Does anyone have stats for a creature similar to this?

Also I once saw an image on /tg/, in the main plane it has two or more armored full plate knights/soldiers riding some kind of armored birds, like in pic related. They ride on green grassfield and on the edge of the field there are soldiers/civilians watching them or doing other stuff.I think it presents training or parade i cant remember exactly.
The top of the image had blue sky and in the distance i think you could see some kind of fortifications or city. Does anyone have this image?
>>
Can some one explain to me how I think it's green flame blade can get charisma to hit and double Christmas to damage as a bonus? Idea it require a paladin or warlock multiclass?
>>
>>51681290
Look up axebeaks.

>>51681286
Nice job making warlocks even more irrelevant.
>>
>>51681315
>Christmas
lel
No idea if it's the one you're thinking of but IIRC
>Undying light+CHA to Fire damage
>Oathbreaker CHA to attack damage
>Thirsting Blade CHA to Necrotic damage
>>
Quick /5eg/, you've been shanghaied into a Somalian pirate crew, and the only way you can make it back home is to play a game of D&D from 1st to 20th level. The catch? You have to play a gestalt character. Which two classes do you gestalt?
>>
>>51681286
That implies that once combat ends they get all their spell slots back
>>
>>51681317
That 'WARLOCKS ARE MARTIALS' dude bout to jump down your throat, nigga.
>>
>>51680794
Look into this if your DM minds homebrew stuff >>51680627. It's a solid buff for the archetype.
>>
>>51681356
>in an actual face-to-face D&D game
>one guaranteed to go to level 20
>with gestalt
Why the fuck would I ever want to leave?
>>
>>51681370
Nah.
It's the heat of battle that fuels the sorcerer, as opposed to the calm study of wizards.
>>
>>51681356
What >>51681398 said.

But if I had to choose...Fighter/Warlock. Or Cleric/Barbarian.
>>
Are warlocks any good at utility and the in between combat stuff?
>>
So what would you guys do to give a succubus pact gish (not actually the warlock class) more flavor? I'm thinking more pros/cons (tho I'd perfer the cons to be more roleplay than rollplay).
>>
>>51681356
Paladin/Warlock, easily.
>>
>>51681356
war cleric/devotion paladin

fuck undead
>>
>>51681356
Fighter (champion) and barb, taking magic innate to get hex, using two weapon fighting, and eventually taking that perk.
>>
Can anyone offer me some suggestions or ideas how to roleplay through a PC making a Warlock pact and effectively multiclassing?

I want to give the PC a magical ring or trinket so that when he falls unconscious or sleeps he sees visions of his patron who will, given time, trick him to into forming a pact or just submit to him due to it being a nagging annoyance.

Can I simply grant him a level in the Warlock class at the point the PC makes the pact, or how should that work?
>>
>>51681356
Paladin/Swashbuckler Rogue. I theme myself as a chivalrous pirate and pray that by the end of the game, I can inspire the crew to greatness.

In Somalia.
>>
>>51681594
Just have him make the pact, then next level up he takes the level in Warlock.

Warlock pact is just "learning from the patron" anyway - RP it as him going through the process of understanding the basics of magic before he reaches a basic form of maturity (the levelling).

You can pump it out a little if you like by having him attempt basic rituals, reading up on his arcana, having further dreams from his patron. Maybe even give him hints of good fortune here and there with symbols of his patron attached.
>>
>>51681356
Easily has to be a bardadin.

>Full spellcasting
>1d10 hitdice, heavy armour, shield and quarterstaff and defense fighting style
>Best melee damage in the game
>Charisma shillelagh
>Still going to get stuff such as 'wish' at high levels
>All the fucking skill checks
>Don't need to use magical secrets on paladin aura of vitality/find steed and all that
>Fuckin' +5 to all saves
>Etc

I have to say though, rogue-bladesinger is a great contender combining both +INT to damage, extra attack and full sneak attack progression with full spellcasting, ridiculous AC, skill monkeying and all that.

Hmm.. I never really thought of bladesinger6/rogue14 much for a build, but it isn't actually bad. Still think bladesinger is a shit wizard archetype design though.
>>
>>51681808
>next level up he takes the level in Warlock.

Forcing someone to take a level in that class with those mechanics should be illegal.
>>
>>51681845
I didn't get the impression the poster was forcing it, more than it was an attempt to trick the character into it, with the player willing.

Weird that you should say that though, I'm the one guy who pops up once every /5eg/ who actually WAS forced to take a level in Warlock.
>>
>>51681872
Nah, I want to give him like some mini feats or what not, in exchange for his services.
>>
>>51681845
>muh long rest casters
>>
>>51681845
>>51681872
He definitely wants Warlock class features but doesn't know the game well enough to realize what's going on or the classes well enough to decide what he wants. He's kind of just along for the ride.
>>
>>51681908
>2 spell slots.
>>
>>51681928
>non-refreshing slots
>garbage cantrips
>It's a nice book you got there
>>
>apply for a game on roll20
>guy post his char backstory in same game
>mentions how Bahamut spoke to him
>procedes to write Bahamut in every other sentence
What?
>>
Anyone played artificer yet? Gonna try one tomorrow trying to think of interesting ways to play it.
>>
In my next game I'm playing a Human Tempest Theurge. I was trying to come up with a backstory and I stumbled upon a group called the Lords of the Tempest in Forgotten Realms. I was going to make him a chaotic neutral servant of Talos anyway so I'm wondering if there's any lore about the group?

Other suggestions for backstories would be good as well.
>>
How would a divine character refer to their god if they were to meet them on the physical plane?

Like, a paladin of Bahamut is approached by Bahamut taking a mortal form: what does the paladin refer to him as? Lord? Master?
>>
>>51681979
>>51681987
Connected?
>>
>>51681993

Second guy here: no connection.
>>
>>51681993
Nope.
>>
>>51681987
I'd fuck Bahamut up so hard.

Fuck bahamut. Fuck 'Hey, I'm an ancient being of incredible power but I can just freely be a human if I want'. Fuck his smug lawful-good ass bitchiness.

Moradin is easily a better lawful good.
>>
>>51681982
Decent utility and support, but a little on the weak side overall. They end up playing like standard fighters in combat, spamming the same move over and over.
>>
>>51681979
Dude likes Bahamut, what's the problem
>>
>>51681979
>Be old wizard
>Bored
>Hear some faggot guy keeps going on about bahamut all the time
>Well, whatever, could be funny
>Disguise self
>'Hi, I'm bahamut'
>Guy freaks out
>Guy is forevermore telling of how he met Bahamut
>Not sure if worth it, but funny

Expect this wizard to show up later in the campaign.
>>
>>51682012
Urist this is why the other races start so many fucking wars with us
>>
>>51681315
A tomelock can get Shillelagh. Get a quarterstaff rf a club, use Shillelagh and you can use your CHA to hit with both GFB and Booming Blade. I don't know about double CHA to damage, though, and I don't know which one of these combos >>51681348 can stack.
>>
>>51682209
Achh, well they can shove it up their knob gobbling arses! Point these dragon kowtowers at me and I'll hammer searing molten bronze against their scaled hides. We'll drink over their hoard gargling corpses and harvest the useful parts fet fine craft works.

Ye hear that you gold guzzling saber drakes! I'm gonna make a breastplate out of yet polished chub run thigh scales and then fuck me wife on what's left of yet hoard!

For these purposes I'm think Dwarven Clan Crafter Ranger.
>>
>>51681872
Well shit, I guess that makes two of us.
>>
>>51681256
That sounds like a euphemism.

>>51681286
>Thoughts?
That has to be part of a completely different class makeup than standard sorcerer with spellcasting. Don't be a dumbass.

>>51681828
>shield and quarterstaff
It's a drum, right? Kettle drum, I guess.
>>
I think a Bard who uses chanting for spellcasting could be cool, something like an extended version of Shouts from Skyrim for longer spells or full-on ripoff of Shouts for instant cast ones.

Trouble is I know nothing about that kind of music.

If you can think of anything that would fit for references could you post it? Ideally things that have harsh sounding chanting, otherwise Gregorian Chant would fit perfectly, however most of it I know is rather "smooth" sounding
>>
For an Undead, would you say slapping Revenant over the UA Warforged would work?

What changes would you make to it? Get rid of the +1 AC?

It's too bad they didn't make general rules for Revenant for races that don't have subraces.
>>
File: 1411356169236.png (377KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1411356169236.png
377KB, 640x480px
What damage type is the vacuum of space? Or, any vacuum?
>bludgeoning
Because it's similar to crushing; physical force without a sharp point.
>thunder
Because it relates to air pressure, or the lack thereof.
>slashing
Because it pulls the body apart? I don't know.
>force, maybe
Is non-magical force damage even a thing?
>no type
Because resistances etc. should be decided by the DM on a case-by-case basis.
>no damage, just suffocate
Because the science of outer space doesn't belong in a fantasy campaign.

The issue very nearly came up in a campaign, but we never found out in the end. It's still been bothering me since.
>>
>>51680483
Yuan-Ti Paladin

>raised by Nagas to be an upstanding guardian of peace and defender of the lowly
>>
>>51682672
No damage, you just suffocate.
>>
File: Macho Man.jpg (24KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
Macho Man.jpg
24KB, 599x337px
>DM'ing again today, grab 2nd adventure in a trilogy heavily featuring modron
>3 people have to make characters, one I got to help, as he was the owner of the place I was hosting at and was half busy with customers, this takes a full hour
>they go into the plane of Mechanus, fight immediately ensues
>monsters have AC 13, yet less than half the attacks actually connect, all five people rolling like hot garbage
>during fight, 2 people wander into the store and want to join in, w/e, but they have to make characters while fight continues, which should have ended rounds ago but again, nobody is hitting shit apparently
>meet malfunctioning modron that thinks the party is it's superiors and takes commands and follows
>a modron came to prime material plane, killed some people, lost it's arm but went back to Mechanus, go to investigate to look for him and why this is happening
>find out have to sorta-sneak into giant modron compound with 9000+ modron inside (no really, 9000+)
>find assassin, fight malfunctioning modron, assassin modron sudokus and gives a gem from it's head
>find invasion plans, run into mage and his cohorts, talk their way out of HQ (but not the complex), mage find plans are missing, sounds alarm
>have to run some gauntlet-type shit to escape, everyone makes it but some take damage
>get back to portal they came in from, it's blocked off by modron. Party injured, so I imply fight can be sorta-skipped and can just mad dash to portal.
>fighter goes down, said player died last adventure and rolled up a new character and nearly died again right there, other guy goes down in this mad dash as well but both get carried through the portal
>give out a simple magic item cause apparently there is none given out in this trilogy so wtf, it's AL material but not running AL league so I can do w/e I want and give out a +1 shortsword with some reason I just wing.
>it was still a blast for everyone, even with 7 friggin players
Probably best DM'ing session I ever done.
>>
>>51682774
This. And cold or heat depending on where you are, but primarily this. Contrary to popular belief you won't explode if exposed to a vacuum you will just have the air sucked out of your lungs and suffocate.
>>
>>51682672
I'd stat it as a suffocating creature that's out of breath the moment it's subject to the vacuum of space.

>it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

It allows a small window to save any creature caught in the vacuum but it's lethal after less than a minute of exposure. Seems about fair.
>>
>>51682774
>>51682672
Cold damage, plus suffocation, space is near absolute zero.
>>
>>51682774
What about suffocation damage?
>>
>>51682667
How would that even work? If you have an idea what that would be maybe we could understand how to modify the rules.
>>
>>51682475
Yeah, I meant it as my starting point for an overhaul of the class.
>>
>>51682825
Space is a vacuum so the only significant heat loss you'd experience is from your own thermal radiation.
You'd suffocate long before you froze.

>>51682829
Doesn't exist, IIRC suffocation just drops you to 0hp and kills you a few seconds later
>>
What's a good side quest for a 19 year old Tiefling fighter that dreams of being the greatest monster huntress alive and likes to play that she's real tough even though she's a whippersnapper?
>>
Can someone explain the visual aspects of the fey realm? My understanding of it is that of a Neverending forest realm
>>
>>51682591
It doesn't have to be music.

You can just shout at people and magic happens.

That's how I would play a bard.
>>
>>51682875
I know, but you would still freeze quickly, even if by the time you were completely frozen you'd have long been dead of suffocation.
>>
>>51682850
As far as mechanically goes it's just slapping the Revenant subrace on the Warforged race.

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Warforged
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Revenant

However the Revenant subrace is designed for races that have subraces to be replaced in the first place.

An Undead that doesn't need to eat or breathe seems like it'd make sense, just fluff the Warforged to be made of meat instead of metal.
>>
>>51682881
It's magical Ireland and Britannia cranked up to 11.
>>
>>51682907
>>51682875
>>51682825
The exact cause of death doesn't matter, I'd argue. All that matters is that exposure to the vacuum of space is thoroughly unpleasant and likely to result in your death in a matter of rounds, no matter how many hit points you've got.
>>
>>51682818
Yes, that makes sense. It's just like drowning, except you can't hold your breath because it's sucked out of your lungs. Whether it's realistic or not, it's harsh but fair to the player.

>>51682825
This is going off-topic, but how can a vacuum have a temperature? There's no matter to conduct heat. It also seems likely that without an atmosphere, the radiation of any nearby stars would be much stronger, and hotter, than on Earth. I'm not a scientist, though.

>>51682829
see
>>51682818 's greentext.
>>
>>51682672
How did it almost come up?

High Elves have a magic space elevator in my campaign, but the PC have yet to reach it. They can see it wherever they go though, it's like a Majora's Mask moon thing.
>>
>>51682866
I wouldn't base a major part of the class on that because if you have more than one recharge ability the die rolling is a big waste of time. Basically limit it to one roll, even if it gives the option to recharge different abilities.
>>
>>51682919
>just fluff the Warforged to be made of meat instead of metal
Okay, this was what I meant. I had no idea if you wanted a fleshy warforged or some sort of zombie warforged.

As for what to do I would say drop composite plating and living construct. So you end up with
+1 Str, +2 Con, and relentless nature. The end result is more wounds but slightly lower AC and you still technically need food and sleep which makes sense for a fleshy construct (eat meat, it reconstitutes meat lost in battle via lost blood and severed chunks of flesh).

Also you might want to drop the whole relentless nature and just keep +1 hp per turn when at half HP. Still useful but makes more sense with just being a fleshy construct as opposed to a vengeance zombie.
>>
>>51682907
>you would still freeze quickly
I understand it entirely depends on where you are in relation to stellar objects. If you're shadowed by the earth, you'll freeze (eventually anyway) but if you're on the bright side you'll get one hell of a sunburn.
>>
>>51682954
It's in relation to TTRPG's so, no it's not off-topic, are you a mod? board police? No? then let it be.

The radiation of stars is mostly non-thermal and doesn't heat the vacuum of space, because there is no matter or atmosphere to trap the heat, so it mostly just disappears into the void, unless you're on a planet like earth or venus.

So in summation, as a DM, I'd rule suffocation after 30 seconds to a minute and a half, maybe more depending on race, with gradual cold damage if you're saved before suffocation kills you.
>>
>>51682879
slaying rats in a cellar

hunting down a particularly large bear the townsfolk rumor about

the dracolich up in the mountains
>>
How's the UA Ranger beast conclave? I want to be a halfling riding a wolf, but I'm not sure whether the animal companion has enough durability to survive battle.
>>
>>51680483
Halfing barbarian. I have a guy who keeps trying to make this work. He also wants to bite ankles. Please make him stop.
>>
>>51683041
You'd also be Irradiated very quickly with Every kind of radiation the sun puts out thermal is the least concerning of the options.
>>
>>51683052
I forgot to mention, she's level 4. There were lots of skelegates in their city, and the party did some housecleaning.
>>
>>51683018
Yeah, you roll one dice to see if you get a slot back.
>>
>>51683061
Halfling is a great racial choice for barbarian though, in terms of metagame reasons anyway.
>>
>>51683083
How about some Monsters' Rights Activists give her some trouble?
>>
>>51681398
It's PF, half the party is kitsunes, and everyone else at the table is using homebrew from dndwiki.
>>
>>51682954
>Yes, that makes sense. It's just like drowning, except you can't hold your breath because it's sucked out of your lungs. Whether it's realistic or not, it's harsh but fair to the player.
It's actually worse than that - in such an extreme pressure drop the gasses dissolved in your blood would be released (as bubbles). So even if you could hold your breath without your lungs rupturing, it still wouldn't do you any good.

>This is going off-topic, but how can a vacuum have a temperature? There's no matter to conduct heat.
There's *some* matter, just not very much. And it's average energy (read: temperature) is very very low. You'd primarily lose heat through to other processes though: thermal radiation, and evaporative cooling as the moisture in your skin (eyes/nose/mouth/etc) boiled off.

>It also seems likely that without an atmosphere, the radiation of any nearby stars would be much stronger, and hotter, than on Earth. I'm not a scientist, though.
Actually, earth's atmosphere is largely transparent to infrared (exception: clouds) so the heat energy you receive from the sun isn't drastically different down here than it would be if you were in orbit. Of course, you'd have terminal cancer within a week from being bombarded by high energy particles up there... but hey.
>>
>>51683061
>what is Darksun
>>
>>51683128
I could see it. It's a pretty diverse area, so there's lots of room to play with that kind of discrimination and the inevitable backlash to the prejudice.
>>
File: darksun.gif (376KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
darksun.gif
376KB, 640x456px
>>51683061
this desu >>51683168
>>
>>51683158
You laugh, but that type of game was the first D&D game I ever played in, replace PF with 3.5. I have so many stories.
>>
>>51682881
It's described in the DMG, page 49.
>like the mortal plane but with exaggerated terrain
>giant trees and dark forests
>eternal sunrise/sunset
>full of life; fireflies and pixies everywhere, exotic wildlife is commonplace
>magical fruit and animated plants grow in abundance
It's basically a fairytale setting or a Wonderland/Labyrinth sort of deal.

As a DM, I like to imply that the Feywild's terrain itself has an alignment, with different places being good or evil. Some places might be visibly dark and foreboding, with claw-like branches, hungering tar pits and jagged crevasses that almost consciously endanger the lives of unsuspecting trespassers. Other areas might offer bounties of magical fruit trees, musical birdsong and playful streams of clear, fresh water teeming with life.

I personally disregard the eternal twilight idea and give the Feywild an unpredictable day/night cycle that still ensures a near-constant state of dim light. The nights feature a very large, bright moon and lots of shooting stars and overhead fireflies. Dawn and dusk are spectacular events, and each last for a large portion of the day. The Sun is barely brighter than the Moon, and days tend to be shorter and cloudier than nights.
>>
File: I have a question.jpg (11KB, 296x320px) Image search: [Google]
I have a question.jpg
11KB, 296x320px
Does anyone happen to have a roughly 7th-12th level Sorcerer character kicking around? If so, can I have your spell list? Not to judge, I just want to try something for homebrew but using a real character's spells. Oh and ignore cantrips, I don't need those.
>>
>>51683083
theres like a whole nest of bears in my cellar man

ill pay you if you take care of them
>>
>>51683240
At least it isn't snakes. If you had a nest of snakes down there I'd just tell you burn it down and move somewhere else.
>>
DMing an impromptu one shot have-fun game. any ideas? 4 players, winter scene.
Thinking a Santa character has begun giving mimics as gifts.
>>
>>51683415
Is Santa a lich in love with an awakened doll golem?
>>
>>51683050
>It's in relation to TTRPG's so, no it's not off-topic, are you a mod? board police? No? then let it be.
Cool it. I was politely apologizing for dragging the thread into a tangential discussion of science with a single silly question about the rules.
>The radiation of stars is mostly non-thermal doesn't heat the vacuum of space, because there is no matter or atmosphere to trap the heat
Yeah, natch. It doesn't heat the vacuum of space, but it would heat a piece of matter that found itself in that vacuum, eg. an adventurer. I have no idea if that would outweigh the temperature loss through the radiation of body heat into the void, and I have no way of measuring that right now.

Hot or cold, I don't think that the temperature of space would be significant in relation to the more imminent threat of suffocation (that is, assuming you're not teleported very close to the Sun).
>>
Thoughts? I wasn't so keen in making prestige classes in 5e so I thought I could try to make it work as an archetype instead.
>>
>>51683609
Great. Here's the pic.
>>
>>51683543
I wasn't angry, man.

But evaporation of bodily fluids would very quickly freeze a person, so no it wouldn't outweigh it, in fact it'd probably speed it up, but yeah suffocation would be the more imminent threat, never said it wasn't, just that I'd rule cold damage as well.
>>
>>51683633
>no whirling dervishes allowed
this is mildly haram
>>
>>51682672
Radiant from all the unshielded solar radiation.
>>
>>51683633
>must be wearing light armour
No silk robes, only LEATHER, eh?
>>
Shillelagh and Harvest’s Scythe dont mix righ
>>
>>51683828
Well fuck me sideways, I just wanted to restrict medium and heavy armor! How do I word that properly in an official-esque manner?
>>
>>51683948
I'd change it to a statement of two negatives instead of a negative and a positive:

>This feature can only be used while you aren't wearing a shield, medium armor, or heavy armor and while you are not encumbered.
>>
>>51683633
>Female dancers that beguile their victims into a state of ecstasy while they kill them is totally acceptable.
>Male dancers that do the same is 'really odd and borderline magical realm.'

Nice official-esque wording, mate.
>>
>>51684112
That was the part I did last and quite frankly, I didn't care much about it since it wouldn't matter anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apologies if I let you down, friend.
>>
>>51684202
It just comes off as incredibly insecure. It also just ends up reinforcing that the whole thing was designed as someone's magical realm fantasy poledancer more than as an actual dancer spec.
>>
>>51684234
I didn't think that it would come off that way, nor was it my intention at all! If it's any consolation, I was planning on removing the restriction anyway, especially after seeing >>51683706. I'm just waiting for more opinions about the class before I rewrite the thing.
>>
would anyone consider a deity dealing 24d8 to a PC to be a good mechanic?
>>
>>51683633
> Although it would be odd and borderline magical realm
D R O P P ED
>>
>>51683869
No? Shillelagh only augments your melee weapon attack. It's still just a melee weapon attack. Harvest's Scythe only works if you roll damage for a spell.
>>
>>51683869
I would allow it if the druid had a shadowy scythe blade come out of the quarterstaff when they used shillelagh on it.
>>
>>51684328
fwiw the dervish comment was also me. Partly I like the idea of a dancer that covers broadly, and dance that beguiles doesn't necessarily have to be erotic although it obviously can be to an extent.

There's a really good dervish scene in Jodhaa Akbar (a really gorgeous indian movie about Akbar the Great, the third mughal emperor) for an idea, it's a bit less wardance-esque than the old whirling dervish implies.
>>
>>51684408
Refluff Shillelagh and turn it into an instantaneous melee spell attack instead of a concentration melee weapon attack buff. That might work with your description.
>>
>>51682954
>>51682875
Oh....I was just making a funny....thanks for the answers though ;-;
>>
>>51683633
>only female dancers
I can't jerk off if its a dude guys come on that would be gay
>>
>>51684467
>refluff
>concrete mechanical changes
>>
>>51684408
>>51684467
You could homebrew it and make it like how Vampiric Touch works. Concentration, and make a melee spell attack. Until the spell ends, you can make the attack again on each of your turns as an action. Not sure about the balance though, if that's a concern.
>>
>>51682774
>>give out a simple magic item cause apparently there is none given out in this trilogy so wtf, it's AL material but not running AL league so I can do w/e I want and give out a +1 shortsword with some reason I just wing.
Meanwhile my DM won't give out any +1 weapons at level 8.
>>
>>51683633
So, at 3rd level, you can continuously perform an action that keeps all creatures (no distinction between friend and foe) within 30 feet incapacitated until you cease performing that action, for a rather high number of rounds? And you can do this multiple times per long rest?

That's a little obscene.
>>
>>51684616
Mine's given us a pair of +1 weapons and we're level fucking three.
Meanwhile, we're being shafted on gold AND on the ability to spend it. Most of us have barely 50 GP more than we started with and shopping has been mother-may-I.
>>
>>51684616
Mine gave me a +2 longbow at level 8 and he regretted it. Used it and my maxed Dex with archery fighting style to get a +13 to hit targets.
>>
>>51684616
I feel like magic items really depend on the tone meant to be set, but unless they add ribbons, numerical pluses are rarely particularly impressive.

As a DM I basically solved the resistance issue by just counting silver as +0 with some exceptions. As a player I wouldn't necessarily look a gift horse in the mouth but I'd still rather get something that did more than big numbers, I have mmos for that.
>>
>>51684112
This. I would say cut out the female only requirement completely and leave it up to the DM entirely according to their setting.
>>
>>51684631
>So, at 3rd level, you can continuously perform an action that keeps all creatures (no distinction between friend and foe) within 30 feet incapacitated until you cease performing that action
Unless they don't succeed a save, yes. Until someone gets harmed, yes.

>for a rather high number of rounds?
Okay, it goes up to 11 rounds at level 17. That IS stupid. But an average spell that uses concentration has a 1 minute duration which equals to 10 rounds. And the victim could repeat the saving throw at the end of their next turn so it wouldn't reach that long.

>And you can do this multiple times per long rest?
You could do it once at 3rd level. To a maximum of 10 times at 20th level.

>That's a little obscene.
Personally, I think so too. So how would you suggest it to be changed?
>>
Tech support question:

Does anyone know how I can use 5e Tools offline on Android?
>>
>>51684858
Resistance issue?
>>
File: andrew-wk-on-conan-o.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
andrew-wk-on-conan-o.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>51683633
>Only females can be cloaked dancers or else it's magical realm.
Think again!

FRIGHTFUL DANCE!
>>
>>51684631
>1 use
>max of 7 rounds
>Requires a high con to keep it up
>Archetype heavily incentivizes high charisma
>Also want a high dex or strength so you can actually do damage
While I agree that it needs reworking I feel like the archetype has so many ability scores needed to work well that at its core it isn't too difficult.

What I would do
>Dance's time is just con bonus rounds, ignoring proficiency bonus (by level 20 you can keep it up for 11 rounds and do it 10 times for 110 rounds of dancing available)
>If a creature passes the save once they are immune for the next 24 hours

Also I would personally like to see some kind of more fluid dance that doesn't charm or anything but simply allows you to dodge projectiles more easily. Something like
>If wearing light or no armour your AC increases by half your proficiency bonus rounded down
>Have advantage on dexterity saving throws
>Opponents have disadvantage on attacks of opportunity against you
>>
>>51684946
I'm assuming he means monsters with resistance to non-magical weapons.
>>51684858
Were you just trying to get your players to stop whining for +1's?
>>
>>51683633
>>51684338
>>51684508
>>51684874
>>51684967
G-Guys, come on! He regrets it already! >>51684328
>>
>>51684616
I personally would like to see a campaign with much less magical equipment and maybe more focus on adamantine or mythril armour and silvered weapons. I feel like weapons and armour made from different materials is completely overshadowed by magic gear and I find the idea of smiths simply being good smiths and using exotic materials much more interesting than just magical weapons.
>>
Given no Bardic Horsecasting, and no attacks while mounted, what is Find Steed for?
>>
>>51685069
Finding a horse? War isn't the only thing they're good at, friend. You could use them as transportation, and they help carry around your stuff, maybe even pull a wagon or something.
>>
>>51684967
sp00ky
>>
As a general Pathfinderfag trying to escape from that hell, I've been wondering about the balance here.

I hear 5e is much better balanced than PF, but I'd like to know about a few specific cases. Particularly, whether monks and two-weapon fighting are any decent.
>>
>>51685064
>adamantine or mythril armour
Can an armor be made of adamantine and also enchanted?
Can you stack different effects until you end up with shit like Dwarven adamantine demon armor +3 of resistanse and etherealness?
>>
>>51684727
I have more money than I know what to do with and the DM won't sell me anything actually worth its carry weight.
>>
>>51685139
>monks
Good but not the best at damage. They are decent at stunlocking things tho.

>two-weapon fighting
Is fine for the right classes (rogue, ranger, etc). 2-handed heavy weapons are still king though.
>>
File: 1485134766470.jpg (139KB, 1089x1936px) Image search: [Google]
1485134766470.jpg
139KB, 1089x1936px
So im gonna run a arcane trickster/rune scribe, would this work? Im thinking half-elf for race
My current stats would be 8 Str, 15 dex, 10 con, 15 Int, 13 wis, 14 Cha

Anyone wanna suggest how i make this better? Or any fun roleplay ideas?
>>
>>51685193
Kleptomania
>>
>>51685139
>Particularly, whether monks and two-weapon fighting are any decent.
You'll be using one hand to use your weapon, and your fist on the other.
The thing is, the monk already has this feature that allows you to use your bonus action to make an unarmed attack. This is highly identical to two-weapon fighting since you could perform two attacks (three at fifth level) that applies your damage modifier using your main action and your bonus action. The difference is, you don't need two weapons, and that the damage for the unarmed strike scales with your level, eventually going higher than the typical weapon's.

And either way, you'll be using martial arts damage dice since simple weapon damage dice are shit.
>>
>>51685197
I had an idea where the guy came from a family of knights but kept stealing shit so they disowned him but manipulated him into doing any dirty work they needed.
>>
Speaking of two-weapon fighting, what would be the strongest class for it. Fighter, ranger?
No multiclass shenanigans.
>>
>>51685069
Instant cover for halfling
>>
>>51685069
Mount horse, cast Haste, dismount, extra attacks for both.
>>
>>51685240
Ranger. The fighter gets four attacks later on, so they benefit more from using two-handed weapons.
>>
Would Twinned spell Phantasmal Force be better than Twinned spell Hold Person?

What kind of illusion could impose paralyzed on the enemy?
>>
>>51685255
kek
>>
>>51685288
Right, forgot that the extra attacks don't actually give you an attack with your off hand too.
>>
>>51685302
Giant iron shackles bolted to the ground
>>
>>51685302
A sorcerer successfully casting hold person on them :^)

Or an elephant sitting on them. They think they can't move because of the sheer weight of the thing, and they also take bludgeoning damage for it! AAAAACK ACK ACK ACK ACK!
>>
>>51685302
Tentacles.
>>
>>51685147
There's nothing saying you can't but it would take a horrendous amount of time and money, as well as DM approval. You'd also need access to every spell you need to imbue it with as well as use the material components for any of those spells every single day you craft.

Just crafting a very rare item takes 2,000 days and 50,000 gp + (cost of spell materials*2,000). Its just not feasible with the crafting rules as they are written.
>>
>>51685411
Evard pls
>>
>>51685240
Don't concentrate too much on which combinations are the strongest. Building a broken character isn't the focus of 5e, and there isn't really an underpowered class (with the exception of the pre-revision Beast Master).

With that in mind, you should look for a class with the Two-Weapon Fighting style as an available option. That will effectively make your character ambidextrous, and it's available to Fighter and Ranger. If you're not interested in spellcasting, the Champion archetype for Fighter is your best option for no-nonsense damage-dealing. Look into the Hunter option for Ranger and the Battle Master for Fighter if you're interested in adding more flavour to combat. There's a feat called Dual Wielder which compliments the Two-Weapon Fighting style really well, in case your DM allows feats. That will allow you to effectively dual-wield anything that isn't an exclusively two-handed weapon. Also depending on your DM, consider that a variant rule allows you to give that feat to a Human character at first level. This is all basic stuff, so excuse me if I'm preaching to the choir here. I assume that you're new to 5e so I apologize if I sound condescending.
>>
Do you guys allow Polymorph at your table?

I just used it to turn our barbarian into a dire bearbearian, upon this change he ripped the throat out of the giant cockatrice we were fighting.
>>
>>51680483
This is a question that is applicable to any edition. How do you get the PCs together without railroading it?
>>
>>51685566
Dire bear doesn't exist?
>>
>>51684858
What the fuck, aren't silvered weapons supposed to count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistances?
>>
>>51685579
>>51685579
only for some monster like werewolf
>>
File: a98073_2318145048_2f2193cac2_z.jpg (75KB, 450x410px) Image search: [Google]
a98073_2318145048_2f2193cac2_z.jpg
75KB, 450x410px
>>51685566
Speaking about polymorph, I am gming and will be using the spell for the first time tomorrow, have planned for this npc to turn into a young copper dragon
What details about polymorph should i keep in mind? And other than dragons what are some nasty cr 7 and under monsters?
>>
>>51680794

Max Dex. Max Wisdom. Put rest into Con. Get Mobile if possible. don't pick 4 elements.

Monk gets very very little from 'optimization'.
>>
>>51685669
The fact that polymorph only transform you into beast and dragon isn't a beast?

True polymorph and DM ritual can turn you into anything though.
>>
>>51685669
The thing about polymorph - the 4th level variation - is that it's a concentration spell. If the NPC is casting it on itself, then it will have to pass concentration checks every time it gets hit. Plus, the spell only lasts for one hour even with full concentration, unless it's willed off.

True Polymorph - 9th level - allows for it to be permanent unless dispelled, if concentration is kept for 1 full hour.
>>
>>51685669
>polymorph
>into a dragon
>The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating).
>>
>>51683061
Its not about the size of the barbarian outside, its the size of the barbarian inside that counts.
>>
>>51685575
plz respond
>>
Tonight was my first shot at being a DM, and it was a mixed bag for sure
My players all had fun, but it was made complicated by the fact that I have 5 local players and 1 remote player, so I run the campaign through roll20
>5 local players started the game, remote player to join later
>unfamiliar with roll20, still trying to import maps and set up tokens as players are arriving
>end up just saying fuck it, I'll improvise
>have players explain their back stories and motives to each other, try to contrive a reason for them to party up
>barbarian is part of an exploratory mission from his empire, he recruits the druid to his cause.
>Warlock got kicked out the bar for trying to bluff the bartender and critically failing
>he sits outside the window and mocks the people inside the bar, causing the other 2 to notice him and investigate
>everyone has a laugh
>integrate other group members organically
>they encounter the plot hook, an npc being beat up by villagers
>I was hoping they'd talk it out, intimidate the villagers, or at least be nonlethal
>nope, barbarian gets his ax out and scores and critical on the local bartender, cleaving him in two lengthwise, starting from the crotch
>other two npcs panic and surrender
>my players tie them up and put them in the store room of the dead bartenders bar
>now they have time navigate a checkpoint out of town because everyone is looking for the brutal murderers
>random encounter combat is a mess, I have trouble getting the maps and tokens to cooperate in roll20
>I'm sweating bullets trying to keep things moving
>ect
>ect
I'm shit at improvising, especially using the roll20 site, it's rigid and unintuitive for a first timer. My players had a great time though, except at the end when combat was dragging because I was trying to position all the tokens and figure out the rules.
We ended an hour ago and now I'm obsessing over how to do it better next time.
>>
>>51685741
>>51685575
In character creation, require that each character has a preexisting connection with at least one other character.

From that alone, entire campaigns can write themselves.
>>
>>51685575
They should figure it out in session 0. Whatever they don't get figured out, just railroad it to get things rolling. If they didn't want to be stuck together playing the game then why bother showing up?
>>
>>51685485
Could be kind of neat to have say a single obsessive savant in the setting who makes shit like that though
>Be elf
>Decide to make the best armor ever
>Spend 50 years becoming a master smith
>Spend 50 years becoming a powerful wizard
>Practice my smithing and magic on minor magical items
>Finally time to make my life's work
>Spend 120 years making the best suit of armour ever, making less invested weapons and armour to sell so I can keep working
>Finish my adamantine +3 full plate demon armor of invulnerability
>Realize I still have several hundred years to live
>Make a magic great sword, a set of magical daggers, a magical cloak, a magic headband all of them equally awe inspiring
>Level 20 party can track him down to each get a special magical item of obscene power

Would be pretty neat for a level 20 party about to kill gods or something.
>>
>>51685741
Okay, big boy. It requires planning and thinking on your part.Think about adventures that would compel your PCs to achieve a certain goal. Think about incentives, what they want. It could be by rewarding them with treasure or by rewarding them with substantial character development, things that you know the character wants. It could have something to do with the character's ideals, bonds, and past. The key is making them want to do something over the other without forcing them to do so.
As they do these together, your PC would eventually form a bond with each other. If they down't throw random encounters or scenarios that would make them. Eventually, they'll be a band of inseparable brothers.
>>
>>51685813
You're forgetting the fact that elves are lazy layabouts. It would take a few years for him just to learn the bare basics of blacksmithing.
>>
>>51685830
So before writing should I have my players make their characters?
>>
>>51685741
Its easy, before character creation you go "hey guys, unless you like being told what to do create a party with a reason to work together or I'm going to have to do some divine 'you are my chosen ones' shit". Just tell them to come up with an idea of what the "party" actually in is universe before they start to fill it out with characters. Its fine to have an outsider or two, but some sort of cohesion makes things work not just in terms of making the party feel natural and organic but in giving the DM ways to challenge and motivate them. Even "we all met at an orgy and decided we would rather be killing rakshasas than watching a midget get fucked by one" is acceptable, as long as the party has some kind of origin that people can work with and write a PC for.
>>
If Elemental Adept was changed to let you reroll dice that are 1's would it be OP?
>>
>>51685923
>we would rather be killing rakshasas than watching a midget get fucked by one
But...why?
>>
>>51685903
You could write your own thing and just use my previous example as small, team building episodes. Or, yes, wait for them to make their characters and write away, working around them.
>>
How many of you write up your own domains for your gods? Im talking more about specific spells and abilities relevant to that god, and not just a general domain.

Any tips for writing something like that?
>>
>>51685709
Dang I forgot that beast meant the subtype and not "monster"
>>
>>51684875
It's hard to say.

Maybe something like:
>Maximum duration of dance is proficiency bonus, maximum number of dances per short or long rest is constitution modifier.
>Whenever a creature successfully saves against a dance, it is immune for the next 24 hours.
>Whenever you start or maintain a dance, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack against an enemy that is charmed by you.
>Your dances cause any enemies that failed their saves to be charmed by you.
>At 3rd level, any enemy that is charmed by you has disadvantage on attack rolls.
>At 9th level, attack rolls made against any enemy that is charmed by you have advantage.
>At 13th level, any enemy charmed by you can't move.
>At 17th level, any enemy charmed by you can't take actions or reactions.

It's far simpler (maybe to the point of being detrimental) and maybe a little too good at the end-game and a little too feeble at the start. But I think the idea of wearying dances and frightful dances are a little silly, although that might just be a flavor thing on my end.
>>
>>51686115
Think about what spells fit thematically (for the domain spell list). An example is, if your god is Zeus, add all kinds of lightning bolt spells into the spell list. As for the abilities, try to use existing abilities from other classes and mash them up together to fit the image of that domain.
>>
>>51683083
local ranger that happpened to be out of town for the skelegate incident returns: he'd been hunting an owlbear, but now it was hunting him. The owlbear must be killed out of sight of the public or the ranger's reputation will be tarnished. Adjust how wounded the owlbear is and throw in betrayal at your discretion.
>>
So I have a GMing problem. I get somewhat anxious before games and then everything goes downhill from there. I have one player in particular who irks me, but I don't think he's the cause- It's like I lose my cool and become unable to do everything I need to. Any advice?
>>
>>51686195
>But I think the idea of wearying dances and frightful dances are a little silly, although that might just be a flavor thing on my end.
I tend to agree. I feel like the dances should be limited to charming or enthralling targets in some way.
>>
>>51686262
>So I have a GMing problem. I get somewhat anxious before games and then everything goes downhill from there.
Write notes; a sheet of paper with a rundown of what's going to happen for the session. Kind of like a flow chart, with if/else scenarios. As for everything else, feel free to wing it along with your PCs.
Don't be intimidated if something didn't go according to plan things get derailed, it just means you get more stuff that you could work with.
If you have problems with dealing with a certain player, don't be afraid to talk to them about it. Remember, D&D may be a nerdy game for basement dwellers, but it's still a social activity. If you don't want to do that or feel that it's unnecessary, try to think of the PCs character instead and think about how to handle him on the table.
>>
> level 3 new favored soul
> only know 4 spells
This is hard...
>>
>>51686195
>>51686364
I was trying to be as faithful to the 3.5e version as possible, but I agree. It does sound silly. Perhaps you'd think otherwise if there were a convincing explanation to it?
>>
>>51686480
>>51686463
?
All sorcs have the same number of spells known and it isn't that hard? The old favored soul was silly for just adding domain spells for free.
>>
>>51686480
Didn't mean to quote >>51686516.
>>
>>51681872
At least Multiclassing into Warlock isn't bad, I was forced to multiclass into Sorcerer.
>>
>>51686516
Same number spell known.
Like 30 more choice.

This is literally harder than choosing ice cream flavor.
>>
I'm going to be DMing a new campaign with people I've never played with. All of them have played varying amounts D&D. I really want to bring the party together by making them fight in a gladiatorial arena together does anyone have experience doing this or simular things?
>>
>>51686480
I mean sure if you could give me a nice reasoning for the dance but it just seems weird. Sort of like sexy dancers but eventually they learn how to make scary dances.
>>
>>51685069
Extra mobility for open combats. Barbarians get fast movement.
>>
>>51686211
I figured that much, I was hoping I could find or read some examples that anons have done to get a jist of what would be appropriate.
>>
I've got Warcaster and an ASI I don't really need for anything coming up. If I got Polearm master would it let me cast a spell when a creature gets near me? Such as an Eldritch Blast with Repelling Blast?
>>
Is it too bullshit to give my group's rogue a dagger that has the spell storing ability?
>>
>>51686661
War Caster lets you cast with your hands full anyways, right?
>>
>>51686697
Yeah. Can use somatic components with your hands full. I'm wielding 2 magic staffs right now and milking it for all it's worth but I just want to be able to reaction cast when something gets to close.
>>
>>51686692
for the rogue? not really. He still have to suck spell caster dick to put spell in it.
>>
>>51686730
Arcane Trickster :^)
>>
File: hogan+dressed+up+as+yeezy.jpg (913KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
hogan+dressed+up+as+yeezy.jpg
913KB, 1200x1500px
i need to make a new character, im thinking start out life cleric 5 and transition into cleric 8 UA ranger 12 with the feat that lets you soak 3 damage with heavy armor
>really tanky
>pretty good heals
>bonus attack
>add 2d8 extra damage every turn

can someone tell my why this is a bad idea
>>
>>51686842
>level 20
>>
Is there any way for a Tempest Cleric to get Shocking Grasp on Wisdom? I really want to be able to at will blast people back 10 feet with a punch but I don't think it's possible.
>>
>>51683061
I made a halfling barbarian for the underdark campaign. He was a farmer who used his extreme anger issues to pull up turnips and chop down trees. He ended up in the underdark by getting VERY lost on the way to the market and just wanted to go home to his farm. It can work if you're creative.
>>
>>51686842
You have better thing to do with your action as a Cleric.
>>
>>51685669
>>51686122
So I take mammoth is my best combat choice? What about flying beasts to transport others?
>>
What do you guys think of Incarnate: The Last of the Lacers? I've only seen positive feedback for it online but I'm curious how playing a lacer actually feels as opposed to using the wot4e monk
>>
>>51687007
T-rex is the best beast.
Then you put Half-dragon template on top of that shit (preferably Red dragon).
>>
File: the baby.png (207KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
the baby.png
207KB, 500x313px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/conditions.html#Blinded

Conditions have been added to 5etools.
>>
Am I the only person who loves Call Lightning? Being able to throw bolts ages away for 10 minutes is pretty damn fun and saved our ass fighting a dragon.
>>
>>51687398
Call Lightning is a ton of fun. I loved having it when I played a UA storm sorcerer ages ago.
>>
Still in rough draft, thoughts?
>Yuan-Ti Pureblood
>Warlock 3 (Bladelock)
>Lore Bard X
>Hides reptilian features under glasses and long chink sleeves
>Uses Eldrich Blasts from a giant harp they summon as a pact weapon, is usually immobile in combat

Any good? I feel like putting off Lore Bard progression is a poor idea but it seems the best way to go about calling a giant harp for combat use.
>>
>>51684885
None of the obvious solutions work on my end.
>>
>>51683227
>Level 12 - Wild Magic
>Shield
>Mirror Image, Invisibility
>Fireball, Counterspell, Haste
>Dimension Door, Polymorph
>Animate Objects, Teleportation Circle
>Globe of Invulnerability, Sunbeam

I use Quickened/Subtle/Twinned Spell. Quickened for Sunbeam shenanigans, Subtle because animating cutlery at a dinner party to kill the host is fun, and Twinned because hey, Double-Concentration is the only particularly unique thing about Sorcerers. Tele. Circle is campaign dependent, of course, and Counterspell + Globe are probably a personal preference because we fight mages a lot.
>>
>>51687607
ty m8
>>
Is there a way to fix Sorcerer poor armor?

Tried creating a favored soul but I am not sure he will survive with 12 AC. Mage armor and shield could work but it's a spell known tax I don't really want to spend unless I have to.
>>
What's the most broken character I can make damage wise? The DM never does anything other than combat
>>
File: 5e nuclear druid.png (53KB, 580x220px) Image search: [Google]
5e nuclear druid.png
53KB, 580x220px
>>51687684
>>
>>51687446
I don't see why you want/need Bladelock, given they could just have the harp. (and that your pact weapon has to be...a weapon)
>>
Been working on some psionic items. Here's a couple:

>Crystal Mask of Detection
Wondrous Item, Uncommon
While wearing this mask, you gain proficiency in Perception. If you are already Proficient, you gain Expertise instead. This mask seems carved out of a powdery blue crystal, and hugs your face securely. You can make the mask become visible or invisible while worn as an Action.

>Crystal Mask of Discernment
Wondrous Item, Uncommon
While wearing this mask, you gain proficiency in Insight. If you are already Proficient, you gain Expertise instead. This mask seems carved out of a glossy orange crystal, and hugs your face securely. You can make the mask become visible or invisible while worn as an Action.

>Crystal Mask of Dread
Wondrous Item, Uncommon
While wearing this mask, you gain proficiency in Intimidation. If you are already Proficient, you gain Expertise instead. This mask seems carved out of a deep red crystal, and hugs your face securely. You can make the mask become visible or invisible while worn as an Action.
>>
>>51687762
Well to put it simply because the harp is fucking huge.

And if you can use a quarterstaff focus as a summoned weapon I see no reason you can't use a harp. If it really needs to be a "weapon" just slap a handle on it for smacking niggas with it using Maul stats.
>>
>>51687792
And three more:

>Crystal Mask of Knowledge
Wondrous Item, Rare (Requires Attunement)
While you are attuned to this mask you are Proficient with all Intelligence skills, and you may reroll 1’s on these checks, keeping the new roll. You also have Advantage on Intelligence saving throws. This violet crystal mask has no eye-holes, only a deep purple spiral in its center that the wearer can see through.

>Crystal Mask of Language
Wondrous Item, Rare (Requires Attunement)
While you are attuned to this mask you understand all spoken languages and you have Proficiency with the Persuasion, Deception, and Intimidate skills. You also have Advantage on Charisma saving throws. This gold-colored crystal has been shaped into a rather handsome face with an enigmatic smile.

>Crystal Mask of Mindarmor
Wondrous Item, Very Rare (Requires Attunement)
While you are attuned to this mask you have Advantage against all Charm and Fear effects, and your mind cannot be read. Any creature who uses such effects against you take half your character level in Psychic damage. This maroon helm is carved from a single piece of psionically-resistant material.
>>
File: SeraDrinksTears.png (311KB, 1050x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SeraDrinksTears.png
311KB, 1050x1200px
>>51687698
>he doesn't know about the Shield spell
>>
>>51687831
>he doesn't have a Counterspell slave
>>
>>51687882
>he doesn't have counterspell counterspelling slave
>>
>>51687908
> his counterspell slave isn't a subtle spell sorcerer
>>
>>51687814
Fuckit. More:

>Ectoplasmic Armor
Armor (any metal Medium or Heavy), Very Rare (Requires Attunement)
Ectoplasmic Armor is made of hardened Ghoststeel, a rare substance found only in haunted mines and on the Elemental Plane of Earth.

This armor appears to be a regular set of armor, albeit with a pale blue or green hue to the metal. You gain Darkvision out to 60ft, or increase your own Darkvision by another 60ft if you already have it. As an Action you can cause the armor to ooze ectoplasm, covering itself in the eerie material. This ectoplasmic ooze remains for 1 minute. While covered in ectoplasm, you treat solid objects and creatures as Difficult Terrain, and you gain resistance to Necrotic, Cold, and Poison damage. If you end your movement inside a solid object, you are ejected into the nearest open space, and suffer 1d10 Force Damage per 10ft this moves you. You cannot use this ability again until the next sunset.

>Gloves of Object Reading
Wondrous Item, Uncommon
If you touch an inanimate object while wearing these gloves, you learn the identity of the object’s most recent owner, including their race, gender, and age. If you spend one minute concentrating, you learn how the last owner came to have the object, as well as how he or she lost it.

>Eye of Thievery
Wondrous Item, Rare
This piece of Malachite is envious of others, and wants to take what it can from those who have. You make an opposed Charisma check against a single creature you can see as an action. If you fail, you cannot use this ability on them for 24 hours, and they become aware you tried to enter their mind and may become hostile. On a success, you know what skills, tools, languages, and weapons they have proficiency in. You become proficient in one skill, tool, language, or weapon type (martial or simple) they possess, and they lose their proficiency. This lasts for one hour. You may not use this ability again until completing a Long Rest.
>>
>>51687698
>multiclassing UA
>>
>>51687698
Wait, does this even work? Why would the Harvest's Scythe apply to every missile?
>>
>>51687994
JC rule that magic missile is one damage roll, apply modifier then multiply the damage by number of missile.

Evocation Wizard would roll (1d4+6)*11 too.
>>
>>51687994
It's a memetastic build, which relies on applying RAI in a different circumstance while adhering to RAW elsewhere.view locust.
>>
>>51687994
Magic Missile is classified as an aoe spell that can hit the same target multiple times. You only roll damage once, and apply that single number to each missile.
>>
>>51687994
Magic missile is a single damage roll.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/
>>
>>51688025
You're talking about the Peasant Railgun friendo
>>
>>51687831
Magic missile isn't worth using against any enemy that could cast Shield. This is for special cases like bringing down a demon lord or Tiamat in one turn.

The tarrasque is still immune to it though.
>>
>>51688039
No? It relies on an answer regarding an interaction between a specific ability and magic missile, multi-classing with a UA, and assuming that, despite UAs not being built to multiclass at all, that "spell" doesn't mean "druid spell" even though the UA ranger went through the same memetastic comments about the pet scaling.
>>
>>51687446
Works as pure bard just fine, sans a decent attacking spell.
>>
MYSTIC

WHEN
>>
>>51687698
Has anyone got any info on how this scales downwards? As in, max damage you can do at ArcC 1/Twi D 12 or something like that?

I wanna know how viable it is before reaching level 20.
>>
>>51687698
Surely this doesn't work because you can only expend 8 harvest dice on each casting in total, not for each missile?
>>
>>51688579
Since magic missile only requires one damage roll, then each missile does that much damage, adding the harvest dice to one missile effectively adds to all the missiles
>>
>>51688516
Until you hit level 18 and start taking the two fighter levels for your ultra nova, you're a druid with only a single cleric dip. That alone makes it very viable. You'll be support overall (because druid), with magic missile as something in your back pocket you can throw out for ensured damage.

Your Harvest's Scythe comes online at druid 2, so at level 3 you've got 2 HS dice, 4 1st-level slots, and 2 2nd-level slots. Your nova then is (1d4+1+1d10) x4 with a 2nd-level slot, dealing 32.5 damage on average, and you can do that twice.

At 5th level (cleric 1/druid 4) you've got 4 HS dice and have 3rd-level slots, so your nova is (1d4+1+2d10) x5, or 72.5 average damage, which you can do twice. Or you could use all your 1st-level slots for (1d4+1+1d1) x3, or 27 damage, four times per day.

And by 11th level (cleric 1/druid 10) you can nova for (1d4+1+5d10) x9, or 279 average damage, once per long rest (with an extra x8 in your back pocket). That will effectively kill any single creature you need to take out even at that level, or severely weaken a group of enemies.

Basically: it scales very, very well and is viable from start to finish.
>>
>>51688597
>>51688622

Crazy. I can't imagine the sort of DM that wouldn't torpedo the idea into oblivion, though.
>>
>>51688622
I did the math on the 6th-level one wrong. It's only x8 with a x7 in the back, which is 248 and 217 damage respectively. Still good enough to clear most of a room.
>>
>>51686654
Nobody has examples of custom cleric domains for their gods.?
>>
>>51687935
>He is not casting under greater invisibility while under the effect of mind blank
>>
>>51688381
Hopefully, never, psionics suck and I wish they were never added to DnD.
>>
>>51688691
>i dont like it so no one can have it
>>
>>51688381
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/psionics-and-mystic-%E2%80%93-take-two
>>
>>51680483
Sup /5eg/

I want to print out all the basic rules to have them long-term.

What's the probability of a new version of the rules coming out soon or in the future?
>>
>>51688783
Negligible.
>>
>>51680483
What do you guys think a LG paladin of Tyr should prioritize: saving a friend/ally in need from almost certain doom or pursuing a murderous necromancer?

Which is more in keeping with Tyr's teachings? I know it depends on the setting, so let's just say forgotten realms.
>>
What if I want to use just a sword.
Like, nothing in the other hand.
Just one sword.
>>
>>51688849
Sucks for you, mariner fighting style is the closest to the thing you want. And it's not even the thing you want.
>>
>>51680483
Fire Genasi Sea Sorcerer.

Born on a tropical island during a planar incursion.
>>
I literally just noticed that Misty Step is a bonus action and not a reaction.

The fuck are you supposed to use it for then?
>>
>>51687283
Thanks mega anon
>>
>>51688931
Getting out of melee without disengaging then dashing the hell away or doing a normal action.
>>
>>51687283
Praise Meganon!

Also, Planeshift material to 5etools next thursday when Kaladesh releases?
>>
>>51688949
I'm never in melee in the first place. I thought it was an "ohfuck" button but it's just "I'm bad at placing my wizard and wasted a spell slot".
>>
>>51688843
If both are immediate issues they're both the right and wrong choice. Unless the friend would be a formidable ally against hunting down and defeating the necromancer, I'd probably err on the side of hunting the necromancer. If the necromancer isn't an immediate threat and your friend is already in a noose... probably save the friend.

Sometimes life doesn't give you a "good" option.
>>
>>51688961
Personally I use it to get around locked doors since it is a 30 foot teleport spell. It is useful for getting across 30 foot gaps as well. I never grab it but I have had it for a long time when I had an Eladrin Elf.
>>
>>51688636
Mine wouldnt, the campaign is sure going to get spicey
>>
>>51688843
>The highly organized church of Tyr was strong in the more civilized lands of the Realms. They were known for never refusing service or aid to the faithful when they were in distress.

Friend in need.
>>
>>51688976
It definitely has its uses but I'll wait until I can pick it up from a spell shop or trade with another wizard -- I was originally going to use it as a pick from leveling and am not anymore.
>>
>>51689012
If you are allowed to do crafting, ask if your dm will allow you to craft some items with misty step infused in them that break upon use. Like a few scrolls or something. Keep it around for circumventing some items. That is what I'd recommend if you stay far away from people, keeping it around if multiple people get into melee or a bunch of archers are on you then you can misty step away a ways and then run for cover.
>>
My DM is allowing us to grapple enemies and objects with whips and if my current character dies I wanna see how I can have fun with this.

>go bugbear barbarian 6/rogue 14
>high dex and str
>use advantage with rage and expertise in athletics to grapple enemies
>get dual wielder feat
>grapple enemy from 15 ft with whip
>pull him to ground
>spend the rest of my turn sneak attacking him

Thoughts?
>>
>>51688962
The necromancer was fleeing the scene of a murder he had just committed within earshot of the Paladin. Paladin's friend was in death save state and still under threat.

>>51689003
That's what I thought, I'm not going to punish the player for it but he was under the impression that chasing the necromancer was the act Tyr would want him to prioritize.
>>
>>51688931
If you're grappled by 10 creatures or something, you use it to get out of it.

Don't forget you can't cast an action spell after misty step.
>>
>>51689050
>Barbarian 6
Eh, I probably wouldn't say 6 is worth it, but +carry capacity and an extra rage might not be good if your DM's strict on carry capacities.

That said, it's not a bad idea. One of the big problems with grappling is it uses a hand or two which makes it kind of awkward to grapple with, but once you get whips it's kind of worth it again.

But considering you get 2 or 3 attacks, that's -2 on each attack, and a bit of damage you're losing out on, and taking the dual wielder feat kind of discourages you from leaving the 'shield+rapier' choice open for when you don't want to grapple but be a bit tougher instead.

Does the DM let you attack with the whip even after grappling someone with it? I'd probably go shield+whip or something instead in that case.
Otherwise, I'm thinking dual wielding whips isn't a bad idea. I'd probably go whip+rapier though.
>>
>>51689060
To be fair, Tyr is a bitch that chimped out and killed my main nigga Helm because he though Tymora cucked him for that polished armor dick.

Fuck Tyr. He's a hypocrite.
>>
>>51689118
Helm had it coming, he killed Mystra.
>>
>>51688981
Keep me posted anon, I wanna see you curbstomp ridiculous CR.
>>
File: murray.png (99KB, 189x224px) Image search: [Google]
murray.png
99KB, 189x224px
>warlocks don't have access to UA Conjure Demon spells
>>
>>51689132
>Ao kicks all the gods out for being turbofaggots
>warns Mystra not to try and climb back up into heaven
>she does anyways
>gets blown the fuck out by Helm

Not sure how Helm was in the wrong here.
>>
>>51689117
I imagine he wouldn't let me attack at the same time as grappling. Instead of barb 6 what would you recommend? I was considering maybe fighter but just more levels of rogue would be better
>>
>>51689152
I'm pretty sure it's because they're quite powerful and in the hands of a warlock they become a "Once per fight thing". That was the offical bullshit anyway.
>>
>>51689163
Barbarian 5. It's just an extra level up the rogue tree for sneak attack progression and all that. I don't really think the extra rage is worth it. I'd probably opt for it if if the extra rage came bundledd with advantage on initiative, but...

If it wasn't for not being able to sneak attack while grappling shieldmaster fighter would be an option. That said, I remember Jeremy Crawford saying something about justitying grappling a prone character by simply standing on them.
>>
I might be blind/stupid
Is there oxygen in a Demiplane
>>
>>51689180
>2 spell slots until level 11
>powerful
Yeah no. At level 10 a wizard can cast Conjure Lesser Demons 8 times if he needs to, Conjure Barlgura/Shadow Demon 5 times and Conjure Vrock 2 times. And a Warlock can't even summon a Hezrou unless he spends his Mystic Arcanum on that.
>"Once per fight thing"
Who the fuck takes hour long naps after 2 encounters in the middle of a dungeon?
>>
>>51689315
I'm not saying I agree with it. I let them use it and even considered making my own Pact Boon or some invocations based around it.

They really dropped the ball by not giving it to them.
>>
>>51689275
If it is harmless, as in the Maze spell, I imagine yes.
If it is your own demiplane from a Demiplane spell, nothing prevent you from making a fire to consume all the oxygen.
>>
File: 1486342275647.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1486342275647.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>>51688896
>mfw wanted to try Fighter/Warlock with Sailor background anyway
Jokes on you, the garbage is where I want to be.
>>
>>51689275
Up the to GM. It's pretty stupid that the spell does not provide guidelines for the caster to create a demiplane but merely access one (or someone else's if he knows about it).

By old Planescape rules, demiplanes exist in the ethereal and do not have oxygen in them but operate under their own laws of physics. Creatures that need to breath are able to do so because they need to. It's kind of bonkers.
>>
Are sorcerer and warlock actually underpowered, or is wizard just disproportionately overpowered?
>>
File: 1456174447574.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1456174447574.gif
2MB, 448x252px
>>51680483
>You have twenty seconds to come up with the most retarded race-class combination and then justify it in story.
Warforged sorcerers(any dragon option)
and I have no idea how to justify it, they are made not born so they can't be blood-related to dragons it doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>51689382
I wouldn't say underpowered but in a fight there's pretty much no way either can handle what a Wizard can do.

Doesn't mean they're worthless in a party... but a Wizard would be better 90% of the time.
>>
>>51689275
>>51689358
>>51689374

Fun fact : You can actually trap yourself in your own Demiplane. Note that the demiplane only opens a door to... demiplanes. If you sit in your demiplane long enough that the door goes away, simply casting Demiplane again will only open a door to a new Demiplane or another one you're familiar with -- it won't create a door back to the primary plane.

>You create a shadowy door on a flat solid surface that you can see within range.
The door is large enough to allow Medium creatures to pass through unhindered. When opened, the door leads to a demiplane that appears to be an empty room 30 feet in each dimension, made of wood or stone. When the spell ends, the door disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the demiplane remain trapped there, as the door also disappears from the other side.

>Each time you cast this spell, you can create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell. Additionally, if you know the nature and contents of a demiplane created by a casting of this spell by another creature, you can have the shadowy door connect to its demiplane instead.
>>
File: 1485838539543.gif (356KB, 466x350px) Image search: [Google]
1485838539543.gif
356KB, 466x350px
>>51689385
A dragon made them and used it's own blood as machine lubricant.
Bam, fuck you.
>>
>>51689382
Warlock is actually underpowered save for EB spam. Sorcerer is actually fine, but Wizards are just overall better than sorcerers.
>>
>>51680483

Gnome Barbarians
>>
>>51689402
>blood
>lubricant
Wew lad
>>
>>51689385
Dragon-blood hydraulics, duh.
>>
>>51689385
Actually this makes plenty of sense considering that Warforged were made by House Cannith, which bears a Dragonmark. They literally have the mark of making, so they could easily create a Warforged with draconic blood/powers in their own image.
>>
>>51689402
Adopted children who absorbed some of the magic over time.
>>
>>51689401
Just do shadowboxing and abs crunch until you reach level 17 and can cast wish

planeshift requires a material component
>>
>>51689448
>a forked, metal rod worth at least 250 gp, attuned to a particular plane of existenc

I guess you could use some of your other spells to extract iron from your blood over the years, or turn some of that wood in the room into iron if you were a transmuter. The tricky part is attuning it to the home plane and then setting the value of 250 gp. Although I would argue that in this demiplane, the only ticket out is priceless and thus worth WAY more than 250 gp, but whatever.
>>
>>51689406
Really not that retarded when dual wielding is very strong early for barb and gnome have adv against spells that could end your rage.
>>
How would you work with a player whose character doesn't want to give up their weapon for something better?

Like, the Fighter uses his Father's Sword and only his Father's Sword, despite it not being as effective at higher levels than a plus one or two longsword.
>>
File: ThesePartiesAreSoFake.png (148KB, 264x322px) Image search: [Google]
ThesePartiesAreSoFake.png
148KB, 264x322px
>>51689401
>tfw you're high enough level to have a clone in a demiplane but not high enough to leave it.
>>
>>51681356
Simple, Oathbreaker/Necromancer.
>>
>>51689401
>>51689577
this is a great fuckin idea
>>
>>51681356
Never bothered learning what Gestalt was because I skipped that edition but it looks really fun.

Are there any good rules for it in 5e? I wouldn't mind giving it a go with a 2 or 3 person party.
>>
>>51689637
I'd probably only do it for a one-shot because it sounds kind of broken both back then and now.
>>
>>51689574
Have it be upgraded by being soaked in magical blood.
>>
run a regular game on fridays. Currently taking a bunch of newbs through mines of phandelver. There is one guy though who is THAT guy. Constantly makes weird stories up about himself, rabbits on about weird shit, makes the female player uncomfortable and looks over my gm screen
>>
>>51685579
Only a few monsters that have resistance to magic weapons are specifically stated to be affected by silver.

>>51684993
Not really, we'd agreed on a low magic campaign, and it bugged me that there was still no mundane way to handle resistances for most monsters (at least it's not 3.5 DR or AD&D's "must be this tall to ride" shit).

>>51685064
For adamantine and mithril my main problem is that it's hard to make work, and I feel like it ends up overshadowing the armor master feats (that said, personal opinion, it doesn't take a lot to overshadow them in the first place and I partly feel they should be baked in the system from the get go).

For materials, to be fair with just one set of weapon material (silver, except for the one golem that takes adamantine), I feel like it's hard not to feel like it takes over anyway. I don't think it's an issue in itself, that said I use brass as the weakness for some monsters (because orichalcum)

>>51685069
Faster overland movement. Fancier pack mule.
>>
>>51689712
Tell him to knock it the fuck off, then. If he's being a cunt you're in your rights to either have him stop being a cunt or leave.
>>
>>51689574
Options

- Father's ghost comes back and empowers the sword because he's proud of his boy
- Wizard enchants the sword as a reward for a quest/services rendered
- Dorf blacksmith is touched by his attachment to family and the maintenance put into his sword, tempers it in makeweaponbetterium forge
- Sword becomes magical from killing so many monsters/magical things
- Sword was actually an ancient relic that his dad got but never knew how to unlock, fighter accidentally triggers the release for super power mode
>>
So I've been thinking of running a mass combat oriented campaign; now that I've understood. Each PC gets a main character, plus a squad representing 10 guys.

After deciphering how mass combat works I rather like it. I loved Battlesystem, but I particularly like how this actually uses the default rules with a few tweaks. Shame how it screws Barbarians over though, but oh well.

>The squad will have a few more limits than the main character; perhaps no multiclassing, has to be a more common race/class combo and no Animate Dead etc. unless they're skeletons/zombies themselves, not really thrilled at some smartass picking winged tiefling necrosquad etc.
>>
Anyone else got a That Guy who isn't actually a dick, just really annoying?

>Is a back seat DM because he runs one shots for other groups
>Plays a yuan ti bard, spends his whole time looking for his Zhentarim contacts and trying to buy snakes
>Makes constant jokes that just aren't funny, everyone just sort of smiles awkwardly
>Keeps cramming in really obscure rules and powers that force the DM to search through the rulebook every time
>Uses more unseen servants than the DM can keep track of
>>
>>51689577
I guess your only chance in this situation is to have allies that can cast Demiplane and you can Sending to.
>>
>>51689574
>>51689678
>>51689741

Honestly this should always be done rather than handing out a bland +1 replacement. Weapons should have some lore.
>>
Anyone have either of Richie Root's racial archetype pdfs off DMsG?

Yes I know DMsG material tends to be shitty and not worth the money.
>>
>>51689574
No problem! Using the default alotment of treasure + random generation, not every char will EVER get a magic weapon. If you don't wanna use yours... that's perfectly fine, it will go to some other party member.

I think Lost Mine of Phandelver has something that provides temporary enchantments though.
>>
>>51689787
The solution is Yam Gruel.

It's an old story in Rashomon that basically shows you how to destroy a man by giving him what he wants. And then giving him more. And more. And you keep giving him it until he loses his taste for it and becomes a bitter shell of a man.

I'd tell all the other players ahead of time what I was going to do, and then I'd do it. I'd make a fucking Zhentarim bazaar filled with thousands of snakes, and give him a circlet that gives him 50 more Unseen Servants. NPCs would cower in front of him. Single rolls of his dice would behead scores of men. I'd keep agreeing to any smarmy little request he has until the game was a smoking crater. And then I'd do it again.

He doesn't have the appetite for disruption he thinks he has.
>>
>>51689799
"Send allies! Or enough enemies that I can level!"
>>
>>51689854
Top kek

Sadly I'm not the DM, just a player who has to suffer through

>"I throw ball bearings"
>"Why don't you just hit him or something?"
>"I want my unseen servants to distract the hags"
>"They're blind and the servants are unseen, and the hags are fighting you guys. How are you going to distract them?"
>"Fine, I cast poison spray."
>rolls a 1
>>
>>51683055
Our rangers Beast is rather survivable, but then again we give the wolf one death saving throw when at 0, but he's only been dropped twice, killed once and honestly resurrecting it on a long rest means as long as you don't lose him on the first combat you'll be fine.
>>
>>51689854
>>51689890

>He learns that what comforts him is not the satiation of his desire, but rather the desire itself.

Shieeeet
>>
File: 7f23_009.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
7f23_009.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
>>51689787
Aside from the "awkward jokes" part he just sounds like a more savvy, knowledgeable player than your casual atmosphere game can handle.
>>51689890
Yeah, god forbid the player actually goes for something other than "i press my left mouse button on them until they die" option.
>>
>>51689461
Arguably, if it doesn't count its then worthless, making it a paradox. There is no way of knowing if it would work, and in the trying determine the value which determines the success.
>>
>>51689716
I made a point about removing 'resistance to non-magical weapons' and for some of the things that had that removed putting normal resistance in, but putting in vulnerabilities or ways to overcome that resistance in for martials, but it kind of devolved into a long several hours long argument but I don't even remember the conclusion.
>>
>>51689946
If you're the sole occupant of the demiplane though, you determine the supply and the demand. You effectively control the economy and thus the value. Worst case scenario, you use Find Familiar and set up a secondary economy and force inflation until the value hits high enough for the spell to be cast.
>>
>>51689890
Why did he roll? Did they fail the con save?
>>
>>51689943
He literally makes every situation more difficult than it has to be. We're a starter group, everyone's new to 5e except him and the DM, and it's the DM's first time running. It's one thing to be inventive with actions and another to go full on autist with the most obscure rules you can find.
>>
>>51689969
If you don't have 250 gold, it would never be evaluated at such though.
>>
>>51689929
It is the true nature of the powergamer

The pursuit of power is far more enjoyable than possessing the power ever is.
>>
>>51689943
Trying to do improv garbage during the middle of a fight is attention whoring faggotry.

I will let players improv their way through encounters as much as they like prior to fights but once the fight is begun I'd rather people play the fuckin game.

>I throw away my sword and punch him!
"o... kay...."
>WHAT I didn't know I'd do less damage
>>
>>51689970
Ok I made the roll up for dramatic effect, but the rest is word for word. His poison spray was useless, though.
>>
Am I really seeing a discussion about the economy in a one person demiplane and how a familiar could create a second economy? /tg/ will never cease to amaze me.
>>
>>51689979
It doesn't say 250 gp. It says WORTH 250 gp.
>>
>>51689988
This.

It's okay if you want to do it to kill an enemy in a humiliating way,
'Oh, he's low. Maybe I'll try vicious mockery on him and make his brain explode.'

But if you don't acknowledge stupid shit will lead to stupid results, you're a stupid shit yourself.
>>
>>51689998
Playing D&D with economics majors is a fucking nightmare. It always sounds funny and charming until the game breaks apart because the players start talking about having flooded the local market and devaluing the currency and asking if they can diversify their funds through holdings, etc.

Another one lost his fucking SHIT for like an hour wanting to know how much gold physically existed on the plane and what percentage of the population were casters or at least had the potential to become casters, explaining that the ability to create food and water on a rest/reset would create a post-scarcity society.
>>
>>51690029
I feel deeply sorry for you anon. I play with dumb people so I just handwave inflation and shit but that sounds dreadful.
>>
>>51690029
>explaining that the ability to create food and water on a rest/reset would create a post-scarcity society.

Most of the other stuff strikes me as annoying but I wouldn't mind arguing with them about post-scarcity economics, since in my opinion people put too much emphasis on "post-scarcity" when imo the emphasis should be on post-scarcity economics.

It doesn't mean everything is available FO FREE, it means that starving to death (in this example) is no longer your incentive for working, if a benevolent spellcaster makes you all your food. But you'd probably still want something better than the lifeless grey garbage Create Food makes, so life would continue relatively normal, just without anyone starving.
>>
>>51690029
>>51689998
This is why you lock the adventurers underground in dungeons the entire campaign, don't tell them the exact figures because 'They don't know, they're adventurers' and tell them to find out, if they can ever find a wizard and try to understand how it all works. And if they do, you start making up concepts or bullshit that suggests 'While you could have people just creating food and water all the time, it might cause all sorts of other problems if you do that' such as fucking up the non-player wizard's bodies from overuse of magic, global disruption in the weave causing more problems or the powers that grant such magic refusing to give any more, that the food/water isn't good for sustaining oneself on (See: Trying to live off of goodberry problems)
>>
>>51690029
I think spell components would at least become the new scarcity and driving force of the economy if magic was used to solve the "why do peasants still exist" dilemma. Even if you could use arcane foci instead, then >>51689946
>>51689979 becomes the problem. Why the fuck do spells in D&D have a fixed "gold value" component? Does the magic somehow KNOW the current market value of gold? Is magic sentient?

>Yeah sorry buddy that ruby you used is probably only 245 gold, no way I'd give you 250 for that, it's not going to work for this spell

Do appraisers somehow have control over the underlying forces of magic, and their approval of value will unlock the material's use as a reagent?

THIS SHIT MAKES NO SENSE
>>
>>51690062
You can use Prestidigitation to make food taste like anything you want, anon. Even shit.

Not that my wizard uses it to make other people's food taste like shit. (I do, constantly)
>>
File: 1486724577036.gif (4MB, 274x199px) Image search: [Google]
1486724577036.gif
4MB, 274x199px
>>51689979
>trying to cast a spell with a Jeweler in the room
How horrifying
>>
>>51690097
Well wizards are useful guys and could probably earn a lot of money.
>>
>>51690073
I think I might take a Jeweller's kit proficiency... I'm now worried this might actually come up.
>>
I want to roll as a sorcerer that was an artisan up until her draconic powers awoke. She has no idea how to fight but is basically faking it. Any suggestions on how to proceed with this idea? I'm thinking prioritizing Cha, Wis and Dex above all else.
>>
>DeBeers stops murdering people
>suddenly diamondz can't resurrect people anymore
>>
>>51690123
>She has no idea how to fight but is basically faking it

Basically what a sorcerer is. Do anything and it'll be fine.
>>
>>51690073
>Shifty pawnshop owner selling undercut gems to unwitting adventurers
New NPC found
>>
>>51690132
They can, you just need way more diamonds. It'd be like when Russians were bringing wheelbarrels of rubles to buy a fucking loaf of bread.

>So in order to cast Resurrection, we're going to need about fifty wagons full of diamonds
>Look, I don't make the rules, it specifically says they have to be diamonds, and they have to be worth this much
>>
>>51689978
Then it's a DMs fault for picking someone outside your league. Try to talk with your DM about that and convince them to tell the player to tone down with the complicated stuff because it's hard for players to process.
>go full on autist with the most obscure rules you can find.
LIke goddamn what? There is only PHB/DMG, and it either features variant rules (which the DM should be aware of and either accept them or not) or something that's already a rule and should be followed. The UAs simply feature some player options and that's it.
>>51689988
>Trying to do improv garbage during the middle of a fight is attention whoring faggotry.
No, screw you, D&D is all about improvisation, that's the staple of roleplaying right here. Stop playing D&D like a videogame, not to mention that "playing the fucking game" includes more mechanical actions than the attack one, like Disengage, Dodge etc. Besides using stuff like ball bearings does not count, by any means, as improvisation, it's an actual item you can use in combat situation. Unseen Servants can't attack but RAW I see nothing that doesn't allow them to use the Help action which falls directly into the "distract the enemy" category.
>I throw away my sword and punch him!
>"o... kay...."
>WHAT I didn't know I'd do less damage
That example couldn't be more irrelevant granted we're talking about someone actually knowledgeable in a party of beginners, not the other way round.
>>
>>51690170
>D&D is all about improvisation, that's the staple of roleplaying right here

Suck my dick; if I want to play it as a mechanical murderfest like 1E, I will. Rollplaying is also viable.
>>
>>51690186
>t. Champion Fighter player
Everything the anon has has described the yuan-ti player doing can be explained in terms from PHB, making it fully legal.
>>
>>51689385
One more time for good measure, sorcerer powers are something in your body, but it's not always a bloodline you were born with. They are Origins, not Bloodlines.
>>
So what's this about sending Purple Worms (CR 15) to fight level 6 parties?

Kobold Fight Club says a CR 15 vs a level 6 x 5 party is only a "Hard" encounter and halves the effective XP or whatever, just like it increases the effective XP for a bunch of foes at once.

>I understand that that doesn't affect the actual XP rewards so this post isn't about that

But my question is, where does it get this idea? Is it KFC's idea? Is it somewhere obscure? I know there is a rule about treating an encounter as harder if there's a bunch of enemies but what about a reduced XP award?
>>
Dragon Presence for sorcerers feels really weak. I guess it's basically a free spell slot dedicated for mass charm and fear, but it still requires 5 points to cast. Compare that to the newer origins, which seem to have moved away from the idea of using points on origin powers.
>>
>>51690170
Additional things the player has done:
>Starts rolling for things before even asking the DM if they can, then announces their roll
>Asks inane questions on rules just to argue about them and force a DM ruling
>Constantly tries to solve other character's stories for them

But sure, go on defending them.

>Inb4 but you didn't mention THOSE problems before
I said I had a problem with a player being endlessly irritating. Arguing with the examples I gave doesn't mean I was wrong.
>>
>>51690170
>No, screw you, D&D is all about improvisation,

In combat? It isn't. It is about smart tactical decisions. If you throw ball bearings at a monster, he's probably going to shoot you in the head with a crossbow, or whatever else he was gonna do. The DM is not obliged to provide welfare for players that purposefully do moronic garbage like throwing ball bearings and sending unseen servants to distract already alert and engaged foes. You are not entitled to success regardless of your course of action.

>Stop playing D&D like a videogame

The fact that many video games are based off D&D doesn't mean D&D should be tweaked to satisfy entitled newcomers to the game who want their every action catered to and guaranteed success.

>like Disengage, Dodge

and? did you just segue into an unrelated topic? Just randomly mashing alternatives to disabling foes is not something the DM is obliged to reward either.

> which falls directly into the "distract the enemy" category.

Right. Doing "interesting" things randomly without any regard for tactics is still going to result in you dying, and you will deserve that death. Every PC is obliged to have a chance at survival if he makes a modicum of effort. Any player who puts forth less than the minimal effort (wasting time being adorable) is probably gonna see their PC die.

The dice fall where they may, the universe does not decide to be nicer to you just because you obstinately wanted to waste actions being cute.

>That example couldn't be more irrelevant granted we're talking about someone actually knowledgeable in a party of beginners, not the other way round.

Knowledgeable characters can waste all the turns they like doing utterly stupid shit like throwing ball bearings and distracting people mid fight, they still will get to see their player characters die all the same.

>lel! dodge! ball bearings! disengage!

oops you're dead for being a cunt
>>
>>51690290
>Starts rolling for things before even asking the DM if they can, then announces their roll
>Asks inane questions on rules just to argue about them and force a DM ruling
>Constantly tries to solve other character's stories for them
But you didn't mention those problems before! "being irritating" means close to nothing, you had to elaborate.
>Arguing with the examples I gave doesn't mean I was wrong.
Yes it does, because you provided the wrong ones. Examples do matter.
Anyway I'm done playing devils advocate, there is not saving that guy.
>>
>>51690338
He did provide two examples of That Guy maliciously wasting actions mid combat.
>>
File: 1484741260792.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1484741260792.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>Start developing main antagonist for current campaign
>Think I've come up with something neat and original
>Describe her to a friend
>"So basically female Dio?"
>mfw I realise he's right
>>
Is Magic Initiate (Druid) or (Cleric) worth it for Guidance?
>>
>>51690451
>Female Dio

Yes.
>>
>>51690456
No, but it is worth it for Spare the Dying, Guidance and Healing Word.
>>
File: 1479552314471.jpg (52KB, 680x686px) Image search: [Google]
1479552314471.jpg
52KB, 680x686px
>>51690500
>She's a cocky special operations agent who's gone rogue for the sake of power, but has managed to conceal this from her higher ups
>Short, blonde hair
>Star-shaped birthmark on her left cheek
>Shitloads of stolen ancient magitek lets her pull off Dio-tier bullshit
>MFW the party is literally going to take her to court to try to get her special agent legal immunity revoked
God, the Not!Phoenix Wright arc is going to be ridiculous.
>>
>>51690451

No idea is ever truly original. Don't be too beat up about it (if you are at all).
>>
>>51690335
>The DM is not obliged to provide welfare for players that purposefully do moronic garbage like throwing ball bearings
If you think that using ball bearings (or even grappling) against a hag, which might have easily been a green one that would probably try and go invisible the moment you drop her too low, is less preferrable than just keep attacking, I just don't know what to say. Crowd control against spellcasters generally seems like a good idea since they do have a tendency of running away when engaged in melee.
>and sending unseen servants to distract already alert and engaged foes.
It costs a bonus action to do so, and is essentially a more unstable version of Masterminds feature, since Unseen Servant dies in 1 hit. Yes, it's kinda cheesy but it's RAW and makes sense IC as well, although I could see some DMs banning it.
> You are not entitled to success regardless of your course of action.
Of course I'm not entiteld to success, and it's outside of the realm of DMs power as well because the results of those two actions are decided by rolls.
>every action catered to and guaranteed success.
Who said a word about that?
>lel! dodge! ball bearings! disengage!
>oops you're dead for being a cunt
>praises "smart tactical decisions"
>then scorns all and everything that is not the most basic "i roll to attack"
You're not making a whole lot of sense, are you? Disengage is a fucking lifesaver for casters that found themselves cornered in melee. You should probably go ahead and re-read the Actions in Combat section in the book.
>>
>>51690456
Depends.

If you're a monk or paladin? No, fuck off.
If you're a fighter and you really don't have anything much else left to do and you don't want to maximize your role in dealing damage? Eeeh, maybe.
If you already have a druid or cleric? Eh, you can still fuck off.
If you're a druid or cleric? ... Why?
If you're a-

Anyway, as I said, it depends quite a lot, but usually I'd say no.
>>
>>51690582
Eh, it's my first campaign. The players are having fun, at least.
Also,
>>51690575
>Her end goal is to make a god, and then use that god to unlock a stone that contains the power to remake the universe
> The party will probably still try to fight her
>>
>>51680794
Take 3 levels in UA Hunter Ranger.
Favoured enemy Humanoids.
Dueling fighting style (use a dagger, shortsword or club).
Colossus slayer.

At Monk 5/Hunter 4 it net's you:

2*(1d6+5+2+1) + 1d6+5+2 against humanoids.
Or simply said 36 damage per turn on average without spending resources, when you FOB it raises to 46 and with each further upgrade of the MA die that rises further to end up with 58 damage avaerage.
It's not a staggering ammount but it can at least compeete with rogues who aren't using GFB/BB.
>>
>>51681356
Swashbuckler Rogue/Dragon sorcerrer
>>
>>51690335
You're genuinely autistic and pretty much everything wrong with the hardcore 3.5 fanbase. Ball bearings are fine, they were used as traps already in AD&D adventures.
>>
>>51690631
I've always enjoyed horde breaker for the fact it's an entire extra attack with all the extra modifiers you get that stacks with extra attack, and it still works even if you use volley if I'm right.

Why do people normally take colossus slayer over it? Reaction attacks? Sure, you're much more likely to get it and even if you start with an uninjured creature you can injure it and then apply after, but...
It's probably half the damage and harder to distribute between enemies.

Otherwise
>DMs allowing multiclassing into UAs
>>
>>51682875
So are you saying that monks who don't need to eat, drink or breathe are just fine in space?
>>
File: 1486513424817.jpg (93KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1486513424817.jpg
93KB, 620x670px
>>51690692
>SPACE MONKS
I want to see this turned into a campaign.
>>
Anyone knows a few good homebrewed invocations for warlocks? They seem to be hella rare and I haven't really found any that wasn't directly dependent of whatever homebrew pact they came from.
>>
>>51690451
Have an idea for a bounty hunter character who uses a net to snare people then lay into them with a hand crossbow for the kill .

Friend said "kinda like mcree from overwatch? " character concept ruined.
>>
>>51690692
Pressure is less of a problem than people believe it is, IIRC
However, the sun will give you cancer (monks are immune to disease), you'll lose heat if you don't eat lots and have protective clothing (Not eating must mean that you're not also cold blooded) unless you can get enough heat from the sun.

.. So yes, a monk could survive in space, because they won't get cancer.
>>
>>51690591
>Crowd control against spellcasters generally seems like a good idea since they do have a tendency of running away when engaged in melee.

making them laugh at you for being retarded isn't "crowd control"

>Disengage is a fucking lifesaver for casters that found themselves cornered in melee.

it was a discussion in which we were mocking a moron for wasting people's times with 2 clever 4 u actions
>>
>>51690655
>everything wrong with the hardcore 3.5 fandom

wtf does 3.5 have to do with it? how much DM welfare would be required to even think of fixing 3e? how much handwaving of throwing of marbles and pocket sand would be required to unfuck that abortion of a game?
>>
>>51690842
>making them laugh at you for being retarded isn't "crowd control"
A green/sea hag has alright chances to fail the save DC, she only got +1 dexmod. It's niche, but far from useless. Dont forget that proned targets have advantage on attacks made against them.
Grappling could also be useful, depends on the type of the enemy spellcaster, really.
>it was a discussion in which we were mocking a moron for wasting people's times with 2 clever 4 u actions
Yeah, except you went out of the way and ridiculed legit stuff like help/disengage/whatever for some reason.
>>
>>51690702
>an order of monks using an asteroid as their HQ in a spelljammer campaign, the asteroid has no life support
>>
>>51690911
Not them, but
How is throwing ball bearings at a hag going to do jack shit?

Ball bearings are okay enough if you use them in preparation before a fight or if you're a thief, but otherwise are extremely situational to use a full action on.
>DC 10
>Fall prone, when you can then just stand up again afterwards
>10ft square, level area only
>If you don't move, nothing happens
>You can move at half speed (similar to difficult terrain) to ignore the effect
>Some people could just jump over it

I don't really see how that'll stop a hag. Maybe grappling them could do something if you're worried they'll go invisible.
If you're worried about them dashing away from the party, again, grappling would be better.
>>
File: 1485850056447.jpg (47KB, 564x745px) Image search: [Google]
1485850056447.jpg
47KB, 564x745px
>>51690926
But what happens when the SPACE MONKS meet the TIME WIZARDS
>>
>>51690929
>You can move at half speed (similar to difficult terrain) to ignore the effect
Fair enough, I forgot about that particular part.
>Maybe grappling them could do something if you're worried they'll go invisible.
They have surprisingly good STR.
>>
I'm new to DMing and was wondering,

in 5e, have Advantage/Disadvantage on rolls taken the place of issuing Bonuses/Penalties (+1 or -1 to whatever action) for overcoming difficulties?

For instance the rules on Prone characters have changed, where the prone individual now takes disadvantage on attack rolls, when before (4e) they took a -2 penalty.

Should I as DM stick to Advantage and Disadvantage to keep things easier for my players or can I issue (sometimes hidden) bonuses and such?
>>
>>51690885
>acknowledging that stairs are a thing is dm welfare
You would accuse Gygax of being a welfare dm
>>
>>51690962
If they have a +4 to strength, so what? It's +3, and it has a MUCH better effect.

Even if you couldn't move at half speed, all you're doing by making them fall prone is making them spend half their movement to stand up again, in which case grappling could've done the same thing but also lasted until they used an action to un-grapple themselves. Or they could fall prone on purpose, crawl through it and stand up again if they require a dex save every single time they stand up and try to move through it.
And if they use misty step or something to get away, they then can't cast a non-cantrip spell as an action that turn by PHB rules. Might be different for monsters, though.

If their strength is good, that means they can jump further, which means they can easily jump out of an area of ball bearings even from a standing jump (since they won't have room for a running jump), probably.

>>51690987
Generally you should issue advantage or disadvantage instead of flat penalties, though there are exceptions like cover.
It's sort of alright to add hidden bonuses, but in that case you might as well just change the target DC.
>>
My friend is playing a Tiefling Fiend Pact-lock. I think he's frustrated with his character atm.
If the enemies focus him he gets rekt.
He seems frustrated that all he does is use eldritch blast

He has that Silent Image Invocation so he uses that alot, which i think is great.

I think, for spells he's got things like Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, Misty Step. I think he has the Friends cantrip.

We're currently Level 5.

I just got the impression last night that he was frustrated. We fought a Drider, the Drider was his mom who had become a villain but he didn't know the villain was him mom.
Classic Darth Vader move by the DM, i thought it was effective.
Though she focused on my friend's warlock, her son, and he went down like a bitch.

The big issue during the session yesterday was we were fighting a Gargantuan Creature and the warlock has the invocation to push peeps with his E.Blast. But the DM ruled because of how big this thing was it wouldn't be pushed back 10 feet. I think we were fighting a Roc. It was a huge ass bird, probably bigger than Gargantuan, but thats the word the DM was using, and we didn't have a mini for it, so we put a bag of chips on the battle mat.
But the warlock was SUPER salty about it. Straight up arguing about it. I know RAW it probably says he can push anything. But i saw the DMs side of it.
The player went so far as to say "well i'll probably switch out this invocation next level"

I think he clearly wants to feel more powerful in combat. He gets real salty when he gets taken down and when he tries to do cool things and the DM puts the kibosh on him there's legit arguing from him.

Do you folks have any recommendations to help him out?
I know Warlocks have very limited spell slots, so is there anything he can do to have more combat options than Eldritch Blast, which i know is a really good cantrip.

I was thinking of recommending him to take the Invocation to have Disguise Self at-will so he can use Friends without hesitation.
>>
Tryna do some ASI planning, could use some input.

Currently Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler)/Warlock 1.

Dex is 17, CHA is 14 (DM forced the multiclass but I'm quite enjoying it).

Planning to go R3/W2 for invocations, then R4/W2 for the ASI, then Warlock onwards.

For the first ASI I'm going to bump Dex and CHA both up by one to get the Dex modifier up, but I'm not sure where I should go from there.

I could go Dex to 20 at level 8, and then CHA to 17 at 12, but I feel like having a stat on odd numbers is unoptimised. Likewise applies to putting Dex to 19 and CHA to 16 at level 8.

Should I go with one of these routes, or should I leave them when they hit evens and put a point in something else?

If the dual wielder feat also added 1 Dex my life would be a lot better.
>>
>>51691256
It sounds like he needs a hug, bro.
>>
>>51691294
Should probably add I'm going Bladelock, full martial but with Booming Blade, Hex, Darkness etc.
>>
>>51691256
Warlock is a pretty mediocre, front-loaded class mostly used for memey multiclasses. It's pretty boring to play on its own unless you have a very specific thing in mind or the DM is pandering to you with patron questlines.
He has my pity.
>>
>>51691256
Well, since repelling blast does NOT have a size limitation, the DM was 100% wrong in ruling that the push effect wouldn't work. Since other similar effects in 5e that are limited by size have the size limitation explicitly mentioned in the rules.
>>
How to make Apple Bobbing into a mini game/ Skill Challenge?

Thinking of doing a "how many can you get in 25 seconds?" type of thing and do 4 rounds of die rolling.

Or should I come up with another sort of thing like maybe a piñata?
>>
>>51689050
>Not being a battlemaster for lunge
>Planning builds for level 20
Personally I don't see sneak attack adding too much. I would say barbarian 4, and all other levels in fighter. By level 20 you will get 6 ability score improvements, I would suggest leveling off dex and con at even numbers (so if dex is 13 and con is 15 get +1/+1) and maxing out strength. After that take dual weapon usage, sentinel, and polearm master (possible taking polearm master instead of dual weapons).

Against ranged enemies you can drag them in from 20 feet away for their execution. For more aggressive enemies you can shove them away, and get chances to stab them when they get close to you or when they attack someone that isn't you. Makes your character versatile in hunting down mages and archers or shielding your own squishies against enemies.
>>
>>51691358
Make players pick a number between 1-100. Get them to roll percentile. They can adjust the roll by their sleight of hand or performance skill, whichever is higher. To get an apple, they have to get the roll within +/-5 of the number they picked.

They get X attempts to get the most apples.
>>
>>51691256
1. Stop being so close to enemies. If the DM never gives you the chance to stay at range, that's the DM's fault
2. Warlock is a ranged fighter, generally. Deal with it. They're good at it.
3. Stuff like burning hands is.. Not necessary. Hopefully they've swapped it out for fireball now. Same with scorching ray, they should focus on better spells. Hold person, armor of agathys, suggestion... Misty step is alright as an emergency spell, for now.
4. If he swaps out the pushback invocation, that'll just make him suck more. As long as the DM doesn't keep shitting out superpowerful superlarge creatures everywhere, it's very useful.
5. If they REALLY want to be tankier, they can take a level of fighter or start multiclassing into paladin if they have shillelagh.

Also, I've heard at least two people talking about this and rocs and pushbacks and a DM banning it from affecting really large creatures. I'm almost convinced both the player and the DM have posted here about it.
>>
>>51691337
The DM knows it wasn't RAW. Everybody knows that.

But generally there are quite a lot of people who agree that repelling blast shouldn't work on superfuckhuge creatures.

Otherwise, a standard repelling blast used on a creature the size of a skyscraper is basically using the power of the world's largest nuclear power stations to push the creature.
>>
>>51691457
Magic, nigga
>>
>>51691305
I texted him this morning, asking if everything was okay, that he seemed frustrated and if he wanted to discuss anything about his character him and i could figure out how to make it more fun for him. i think he's still asleep.

>>51691329
Yea, that seems to be the case. I know his dex is decent atm, not super high, but maybe he and I can look into him multiclassing into rogue for more flavor. It would be kinda cool for him to stealth alongside his familiar. His background is urchin, so he's already got some dex based profs.

>>51691337
Oh yea, i am aware lol. The DM just wont accept it if it doesn't make sense in his head. I think basically >>51691457 summed up my DM's stance on it. lol

>>51691433
1. He's been pretty good at staying out of range. The Drider last night has a Longbow and the DM rolled really well, he doesn't use a screen.
2. Same as 1 i guess
3. I'll talk to him about better spells
4. I'll tell him not to swap it out
5. Might bring this up, not sure if he wants to actually be in the front lines. I might recommend multiclassing into the rogue so he's more evasive. We have a Fighter, a Melee Ranger, and Blade Lock, and a Moon druid in the group too, so our front line has alot of people. Our DM is starting to employ things with reach, that can fly, or that can climb on walls to circumnavigate our wall of flesh.

>Also, I've heard at least two people talking about this and rocs and pushbacks and a DM banning it from affecting really large creatures. I'm almost convinced both the player and the DM have posted here about it.
Nah, they are plebs and don't go on 4chan.
>>
>>51691480
>It's magic!
How did I know that would be said?

Why does it matter if it's magic or not? It's not 'teleport the creature 10ft'.

Whether the source is magical or not, you require AT LEAST (Not considering friction, resistance and such) the power output of, say, the world's largest nuclear powerstation to push it. You can generate it with assfarts for all I like, but the point is you're defying the very, very basics of physics which the world stops us from just floating off into space and nothing making sense anymore, beyond what 'it's magic' can explain without fucking everyone in the heads like a GOO.

Of course, don't even get started on if you tried to use repelling blast on one of the elephants that holds up the diskworld. I'm not even sure all the power generated over a year in the world can push that as much as the warlock theoretically can over 6 seconds.
>>
>>51691505
1. Then teach him to use cover and to drop prone. These both give +2 to AC, +5 to AC, makes you completely unhittable and gives your enemies disadvantage depending on halfcover/threethirdscover/fullcover/prone respectively.
3. Hopefully he has been changing his spells out as he levels. He gets one new spell and swap an old outdated spell each level.
5. Multiclass at level 5 as a bladelock into a rogue is fine. Multiclass at level 5 as a tomelock into paladin is fine. Multiclass into sorcerer at any level with any pact is fine. One level dip of fighter is good for any warlock that wants armour (At least +2 AC from shield and a variable +AC from medium or heavy armour)
>>
>>51691538
1. Could he use something like Minor Illusion to make his own cover?
3. I don't think he has been swapping them
5. He's a pact-lock, i don't know how that fits in.
>>
>>51691511
It doesn't have to be an immediate application of force. It's magic, you're thinking too literally. It could be shifting the whole plane ten feet and keeping the target still for all you know.
>>
>>51691505
>I texted him this morning, asking if everything was okay, that he seemed frustrated and if he wanted to discuss anything about his character him and i could figure out how to make it more fun for him. i think he's still asleep.

Cute. You should hang out some time this week and do something unrelated to the game where he's struggling. Have some fun. I bet he'd like that.
>>
>>51691563
>Pact-lock

I think you might mean chainlock, unless you're also playing with an oath-adin and a School Wizard
>>
>>51691596
Yea sorry, lol. I don't know why i typed that. Still early here i guess. Yea. Chain-lock.

Not sure what would be a good multiclass for that would be.
>>
>>51691563
They sort of can. Minor illusion will stop enemies from seeing them, and thus give them disadvantage (Honestly, dropping prone might be better for that) but it may also prevent enemies from using 'if you have line of sight' abilities.
Darkness+devil's sight probably works best for the above, however, some very few enemies might have senses that see past illusions and the DM might start saying 'well, it gets a save to see if it can see through it straight away / after it attacks instead of an action'. .. Not to mention minor illusion is an entire action, you should use it before a fight.

If there is no cover to start with, definitely try setting up a minor illusion as cover if no enemies are around. But there should be cover more often than not. I'd definitely recommend dropping prone if he's sure nobody will get into melee range, he won't have to move very far on his next turn and he thinks he'll be targeted by a lot of ranged attacks. Also, the 'dodge' action exists otherwise.

5. There's three main pacts to choose from, so they're either blade, tome or chain. If they have a familiar it's 'probably' chain. If they have a book, probably tome. If they're fucking useless it's probably blade.

>>51691567
And that's far too high magic for level 2 applications.
Logical rules still apply to a certain extent for magic. You need high level spells to have 'Move an entire castle mounted on a turtle 10ft at-will'.

The PHB isn't made to be followed 100% accurately.
>>
>>51691617
>>51691628
Oh,well, if he can swap for bladelock rogue would be viable. If he could swap for tome, paladin would be viable.
He could still become an EK and aim for the level 7 'war magic' ability or go sorcerer or something. EB will continue to level regardless of his multiclass. Probably the most powerful choice he has without changing his past decisions is taking levels in sorcerer and possibly at some point taking 2 levels of fighter - you get to spam eldritch blasts as a bonus action and maybe even an action surge.
>>
>>51690591
>since Unseen Servant dies in 1 hit. Yes, it's kinda cheesy but it's RAW and makes sense IC as well, although I could see some DMs banning it.
It is not RAW. Unseen Servant can only be ordered to move and to interact with objects.
>>51691511
You know how people fly back when they get shot? It's not magic, it's cinema.
>>
>>51690950

The new thread's here
>>
>>51690911
>Yeah, except you went out of the way and ridiculed legit stuff like help/disengage/whatever for some reason.

because you brought it up for no reason, like the guy that encouraged the no str warlock to use tackle, overrun, etc. as a counter to being grappled somehow.
>>
>>51690993
nobody was talking about stairs and no one was implying le ball bearing jack fucker was dropping them on stairs

>You would accuse Gygax of being a welfare dm

regale us with tales of Gygax allowing players to just do random stupid shit to win *as combat actions* (battle of Acerak notwithstanding)

that being said his advice to DMs in 1e is surprisingly kind and gentle (advocating that you shouldn't kill PCs)
>>
>>51691256
Warlocks are utter shit unless you average 4 or more rests a day -- when the DMG guideline is 2 a day, nevermind that few groups are as conservative as that.
>>
>>51691457
christ, ever notice how people always seem to pick on the already fucked up classes? 3e has the same problem
>>
>>51691403
I just felt like the build would be a solid mix between battlefield control and damage. You could still play like a basic rogue or you can get in the fray and grapple two enemies from 15 ft away then drag them behind you. Or grapple one person and sneak attack them from 15 ft away while they're failing their athletic/acrobatics check to get out of my grapple.

I feel like you build idea might work just as good though. It might be just as useful if not more useful for those extra attacks from fighter. Maybe still keep two whips for the times when I wanna double grapple, but instead I whip people toward me and away from the rest of the enemies (or even better, in the middle of my party so we gang up on them) and then attack them over and over while raging with a halberd or something.

If I did go that route, what would you recommend? I was thinking I would go rogue 1/barbarian 5 for the previous build, but if you only recommend 4 barbarian, I'm guessing rogue 1/barbarian 4/fighter x? I kinda want go barbarian 5 on this build anyways so I don't have to go through another 5 levels just to get my multiattack when I can just grab an extra level of barbarian.
>>
>>51692291
Also, forgot to ask, what archetypes should I get? I'm almost certain on bearbarian and if I go barb 5/rogue x, scout or mastermind don't seem like a bad fit either. Champion fighter might be nice for that crit on 19 but battlemaster seems like it'd fit more thematically.
>>
>>51681356
Definitely Paladin/Warlock
>charisma to attack with shillelagh
>charisma to damage twice
>retarded saves
>hex and smite
>smiting with warlock spell slots
Thread posts: 445
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.