[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 302
Thread images: 44

File: board game kaiser.jpg (900KB, 900x1034px) Image search: [Google]
board game kaiser.jpg
900KB, 900x1034px
Board Game General /bgg/

Previous thread:
>>51550424

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

What are your current top 5 favorite games?

Which 2017 releases are you most excited for?
>>
File: campy creatures.jpg (367KB, 688x1199px) Image search: [Google]
campy creatures.jpg
367KB, 688x1199px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures

Thoughts?

Looks nice for a filler game but even for a filler game this looks a bit bare mechanically.
>>
>>51616712
>kickstarter
>>
Recommend me please some card sleeves that shuffle well, are clear on both sides and ideally available in Europe.

My printer doesn't handle heavy cardstock. Plan B is to print on thin cardstock and sleeve the result.
>>
>>51616712
>$20
>no exclusives
>previous game is well-received
If you like the rules go for it.
>>
>>51616657
Alright OP! A new 'General' image. I usually have to photochop (@ over 9000 hrs) all of the 'General' general images.

>What have you played recently?
1/2 my usual gaming group was unavailable so the remaining group had some fun with Carcasonne.

>What are your current top 5 favorite games?

Stone Age
Archipelago
Citadels
Space 4x in general (Eclipse / Exodus / TI3)
War Games in general (OGRE, HoN, Quartermaster General.)

>Which 2017 releases are you most excited for?

Looking forward to the OGRE Minis KS stuff.
>>
>>51616712
i like that the kickstarter isn't maximum jew
haven't really looked at the gameplay or anything but from the tagline it seems like its a bluffing/social game and i already have a bunch of those
>>
File: 1393648324080.jpg (262KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1393648324080.jpg
262KB, 800x800px
>>51617095
> "Stop liking what I don't like! Waaaah!"
>>
>>51616712
This made me think... what are some really good fillers? And what would you say are the requirements for a game to fall in the filler category?
>>
what games would you recommed for a dice fetishist? can be custom or regular but big quantities are required. the more the better.
>>
>>51617905
Roll for the Galaxy
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Quantum
>>
>>51617859
>And what would you say are the requirements for a game to fall in the filler category?

Rules explanation + set-up takes no more than 5 minutes
Playing time is no longer than 30 minutes
>>
>>51617859
How fillery are we talking? Mega-eurofucks like to proclaim a 45 minute game is filler. Partygamers will say that it's only filler if you can play a hand of it in 5 minutes. Then there's everything in between.

Personally the longest game in my collection is 90 minutes, and mine would be

Lost Legacy
Skull
Pairs
Dingo's Dreams
Star Realms (only with junkies who have all the cards in the deck memorized like me, though, otherwise I would say it's too long for filler)

And if somehow an entire 6 people are waiting around needing filler:
Mafia de Cuba
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Spyfall
>>
>>51617949
>Quantum
oh, this one is new for me. Thanks.

Is Dragon dice still being produced, or that gme is dead on the water?
>>
>>51617905
Roll for the Galaxy is really the king here. Dem plastic cups. Yes.

Artifacts Inc is a good medium-game-in-a-small-box that offers dice placement instead of worker placement, with plenty of clever bits and bobs.

Perudo is a gorgeous bluffing game older than dirt that still exists today for a reason.

Blueprints is filler and involves building the most prestigious skyscraper by actually stacking dice on top of each other, potentially as high as 6 directly up. It has an interesting mechanic where, just like in real life(???), sticking perfectly to the blueprints you get given will give you way more prestige than blatantly building something your client never paid for, BUT, if it's a mindblowing enough creation, like it's made entirely of recycled materials and every single one of them is a 6 or something, the prestige you get from that will actually make up for it and then some. So you have to decide whether to take the risk.
>>
>>51618180
3/4 new stuff.
I like when people show me new stuff. thanks
>>
>>51617905
You've got Alien Frontiers where dice are rolled and placed as workers (much like Quantum and Roll for the Galaxy). You've also got a game called Castle Dice that might scratch the dice fetish itch as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129320/castle-dice
>>
File: sub terra.png (1MB, 680x1088px) Image search: [Google]
sub terra.png
1MB, 680x1088px
>>51616712
Since we're talking about active KS campaigns, what do you guys about this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itbboardgames/sub-terra-a-cooperative-survival-horror-game-for-1

I've always been intrigued by Betrayal at House on the Hill, mostly for the exploration phase where you flip tiles and wander around. The rest of the game is why I never bought it...

Sub Terra looks like it focuses on exactly that. Could this scratch a similar itch?
>>
Been trying to redpill normie friends on the hobby so I can actually have someone to play my heavy games with. Carcassonne has been the best gateway game for me so Ive been playing a lot of it. Wondering if I should get the inns and cathedrals expansion, but its so little content for $21, I can get space hulk death angel for $17 right now.

Top 5 games (I own)
1.7 wonders duel
2.scythe
3.patchwork
4.roll for the galaxy
5.cosmic encounter (I enjoy FUN occasionally)

Im not looking forward to a single 2017 release desu. Nothing Ive looked at so far has impressed me
>>
>>51616657
ARe there even any notable 2017 releases?
>>
>>51616657
Thinking about getting a board game night started, but I want to have more than just Monopoly and Sorry! I'm relatively new to the /tg/ world. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51618338
Taking notes.

>>51618180
>>51617949

also for the 3 of you, maybe I'm wrong but not many games have a BGG score pass 7.0.

I know the score means not much but think about this. well developed games in regard rules, play style or I-don't-know-whatelse have a decent score in their page.
I've gotta guess that games under that barrier still good but maybe with some clear flaws that could distract from the game experience.
>>
>>51618539
Start with social games like Secret Hitler that engage people.

Also, how big is your group?
>>
>>51618530
That's how I feel. 2015-2016 will be hard to top. I wouldnt be surprised if people look back on the hobby in the future and will see 2014-2016 as a Renaissance.

But it seems like I find out about a lot of the stuff I want to buy a month before its released, so that might be the case too
>>
>>51618540
PD: Im talking about dice games. and only dice focused games. sorry
>>
>>51618594
It'll probably be 3-4 people.
>>
>>51618604
Carcassone
Coup
Splendor
Codenames
Catan (even though i fucking hate it)

Are all good entry level games that normies like
>>
>>51618540
You also have to remember that the score reflect the tastes of the members who vote - not necessarily which games have great mechanics or not. Anyone can vote, it isn't as if one has to be knowledgeable about what is or isn't a good game. Dice games tend to be looked down upon (good or otherwise) by Euro players who dislike highly random elements.
>>
>>51618604
Oh, in that case I highly recommend The Voyages of Marco Polo. Every single person I've played this with, be it seasoned veteran or complete beginner, loved it.
>>
>>51618641
>>51618604

*for a 3-4 player group size

Also maybe pandemic but I fucking hate co op games except maybe hanabi
>>
>>51618644
hey I dislike randomness but mostly how often it fucks with me. but even now and then I like dice games because its more "casual" nature.
>>
>>51618777
Well, some people don't seem to differentiate between 'acceptable' randomness / good dice mechanics, and lul-randumb dice mechanics. I'm not a fan of Catan for example where you essentially make a plan and then *hope* the dice rolls don't screw you over. Roll for the Galaxy is the opposite - I randomly generate dice rolls, but then have control over how they're used in order to dictate at least one desired outcome per turn.
>>
>>51618867
kind like Tiny Epic Galaxies right? (I haven't played Roll for the galaxy but I can take a guess based on TEG)
>>
Has anyone else played Chicago Express? How did you like it?
I had a blast last night with it but my wife almost cried when a friend bought a share from her majority company and started expanding backwards. Fun times.
>>
>>51618867
How does the hidden rolling affect the gameplay? (In roll for the galaxy) Is bluffing your roll a part of the game?
>>
File: talisman.jpg (21KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
talisman.jpg
21KB, 246x246px
I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I just wanted to say that Talisman fucking sucks. What a huge pile of warm shit. What a nongame. You do nothing. You roll a die and then decide whether to go left or right. That's all you do. For 2 hours.

FUCK THIS GAME FUCK TALISMAN
>>
>>51616657
>recent plays
only incomplete plays of Argent: The Consortium and Quartermaster General for me in the past week, will be hosting on Saturday for the first time this year so who knows what will be played!

>top 5
Duel of Ages II
Cave Evil: Warcults
Argent: The Consortium
Zimby Mojo
BattleCON

>it is the current year
I decided to back Dungeon Degenerates purely for the A E S T H E T I C S which is a dumb idea in hindsight but I'm hoping that I don't get fucked over too badly with that one, I really love the art style though

I'm also curious about the new Jim Felli game and upcoming Level 99 Games products

>>51618913
I've played one 3P game so far, I love how it distills what I look for most in 18xx games into an experience that isn't high-octane autism
>>
Willing to suck dicks for a copy of Concordia.
>>
>>51619030
its 50 years old, wtf do you expect.
>>
>>51618474
>redpill
I don't think that word means what you think it means...unless you are trying to expose your friends to the painful truths of the hobby.
>>
You guys get your free faction sheep faction for Smash Up yet?
>>
>>51618474
Space Hulk Death Angel is a fantastic game that I love playing. Even if your normie friends don't like it I would highly recommend snagging it while you can
>>
>>51618539
Carcassonne
>>
>>51619722
not sure if the expansions are worth it for the money people are asking. or even worth it in general.
>>
>>51618474
i really like death angel but idk if i'd play it co-op since it works perfectly solo
>>
mfw going with a friend to a stranger's neighboring house, I met through bgg, to start a game night this week.
Has anyone else ever done this?
>>
>>51620444
no but as long as they dont try to rape you or make you play cards against humanity whats the worst that could happen
>>
>>51620497
>play CaH
There isn't anything worse
>>
>>51618971
Its less bluffing, more predicting
What your opponent is going to do. If you think one of your opponents wants to develop tech, you might want to put some of your leftover dice on the tech development in space because then you will get to develop your tech too
>>
File: Good_Grief.jpg (524KB, 1102x868px) Image search: [Google]
Good_Grief.jpg
524KB, 1102x868px
>>51619416
Oh god its this autist again.
Its fucking 4chan slang you sperg. Redpill has become akin to "inform me on the truth of" as well as a means to introduce someone to something theyre not aware of (like in the fucking matrix god damn it)
>>
>>51617859
For Sale
Sushi Go
Incan Gold
Love Letter

Stupid quick to teach/play, brings laughs to the table, involves some sort of chicanery
>>
>>51619032
>upcoming Level 99 Games products
Man, back in 2014-2015, I fell off the lvl99 bandwagon hard, and maintained a loyalty to Plaid Hat Games I nurtured since 2011.

Result? Missed out on Argent, Millennium Blades, and got deeper into Summoner Wars, got my gang into Dead of Winter, and shilled Ashes: Rise of the Phoenix born for months on the bgg right as it came out.

I certainly feel foolish. Never even got the last wave of Summoner Wars faction packs, waiting for them to just announce the death of Ashes already, and got sick of dead of winter after 5 or so plays while my group keeps asking to play it. Now, I have too many other games that deserve attention, and cannot justify splurging on lvl99's wares.

Mistakes were made
>>
>>51619195
Don't mind the other Anon, he's just butt-hurt because Talisman has more seniority on this group than him.
>>
After trying unsuccessfully for a few years to convert friends into some heavier stuff, I have no choice but to go back to party games. I've got Sushi Go Party, Shadow Hunters, Rhino Hero, and Resistance, but not sure to go from here.
>>
>>51621172
I hear you man, I've been shilling Ashes IRL but I haven't had anyone take the bite and buy a core set for themselves so I can do some sweet constructed fun. A damn shame really with how they've almost effectively killed Ashes, I'm really hoping that they can bring back momentum so that I have a reason to further dismantle my MTG collection. My friend who runs a LGS mentioned there was going to be a restock of the expansion decks in 'straya so this could be a good opportunity to try shilling again.

I know enough people who own Dead of Winter so I have an excuse to never own a zombie game, but it does feel like it would wear out after a few games. Still undecided if I want to get more than the Master Set for Summoner Wars, it's pretty low priority for me at the moment.

I missed out on Millennium Blades as well so I'm hoping to pick up everything for MB with a decent shipping rate when it's in stock again.
>>
>>51621725
Summoner Wars is one of the few games I own where I bought pretty much everything until the final wave of expansions. The decks play so differently are so much fun, and deck building is a blast, despite being limited.

The second master set was a beaut too, with multi-faction decks fucking up all sorts of things.

SW has had an amazing run, and is still one of my favorite two player games, despite having played so many top notch two player titles in recent years.
>>
Okay so I was going to be visiting my girlfriend and two of her friends this weekend to continue our Pandemic Legacy game. However, I recently found out that for this particular game night, rather than the 4 of us, there's going to be somewhere between 7 and 10 people.

I've got Codenames and Cash n' Guns that I can bring. Anything to keep CaH off the table. I was thinking of picking up Captain Sonar, as my girlfriend was really interested in playing it, and there'd actually be enough people. The problem is table space. She's got no kitchen table and only a coffee table that's barely 36 inches by 18 inches. There's no way we can fit anything larger than a standard board on there.

So my question is, do I stick with what I have and people will just stand, or do I pick up Captain Sonor and force people to play on the floor? It's hardwood with a rug over it, btw.
>>
File: 1483498629773.png (118KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1483498629773.png
118KB, 540x304px
>>51621903
Hate to break it to you, but these people will demand CAH, and you will be peer pressured into letting it hitting the table. Whether you participate or not is irrelevant, as the game will go on for three hours.

Captain sonar will look on from the perimeter in sadness and horror.
>>
>>51618540
Rather than relying on BGG.com for deciding on whether or not you want a game, looking for a rules or gameplay video would serve you better, since you can actually see the game in action and decide if you like it yourself.
>>
>>51621903
Honestly it's best to not force heavy games onto casual players that just wanna "laugh out loud" at two midgets shitting in a bucket or w/e
Best you can do is find a compromise between easy to play and actual gameplay for those groups
I found that my group loves traitor and social deception games, so saboteur was a giant hit, and it's still a fun game to play. Now only if I could get them to play BSG...
>>
All the good games are always waiting for reprints.
>>
>>51621903
Kill them.

Kill them all.
>>
>>51622081
Depends on what great games flew under your radar. Watcha waiting for?
>>
>>51621851
Yeah, I definitely appreciate it as a light-medium dice chucker 2P game, I'll most likely pick up more stuff for it in a few months. Good to hear that you still love it, says a lot to the longevity of the game

>>51621708
What have you been trying to get them to play previously?

>>51622081
I know this feel all too well, I only found one copy of Pax Pamir for sale from stores and I paid more than I wanted to. At least Pax Renaissance is still available for now
>>
>>51619442
I figured it'd be like most giveaways, where you don't get the prize til about six months later/whenever you forget about it, whichever comes last.

Are some people really already getting theirs? That'd be pretty sweet.
>>
>>51621903
Don't go anywhere near Captain Sonar. Codenames is really pushing it since it's medium to low energy. If you want to bring anything actually gamery, Cash and Guns is the most you're gonna get out of them. This sort of situation really calls for dudebro-adjacent games, that have some connection to the three adult games they've heard of but are better. Ex. Secret Hitler, Funemployed, ONUW.
>>
>>51621965
>>51622024
>>51622426
I never should've mentioned CAH seeing as all I know is one of them owns it. I also know that they're co-workers of my girlfriend and regularly play Coup with her during breaks.
>>
>Got Xia: Legends of a Drift System for my birthday
>Pandemic: Legacy group finally got together for another round after a 3 month hiatus

Was a pretty good couple of days in board game land for me.
>>
>>51622146
Concordia and Sherlock
>>
>>51622331
Not yet, just making sure people hear about it, and don't lose out
>>
File: InTenebrisLux.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
InTenebrisLux.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>51618340

One of my former teachers from college actually made a game that's also a co-op dungeon crawler, but Victorian Horror themed. It's on kickstarter right now too!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2129541221/in-tenebris-lux
>>
>>51618340
damn this looks pretty cool and I'm a suck for survival horror
>>
>>51623054
Nice art
>>
>>51618340
Looks really good, but what the fuck is up with the three day-one expansions?
>>
>>51623209
also
>have to pay 95 for to get the minis
>not even painted
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn
>>
>>51623054
I hope they fix the typo on the Gunslinger card before it goes into production...
>>
>>51623236
haha, I'll send him a message and I know he will! Thanks!
>>
File: blackhood.png (721KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
blackhood.png
721KB, 685x960px
>>51623146

Thanks, my former teacher is the one who did the painting. It's very painterly! I really dig it and I think it fits the mood of the game well.
>>
>>51620354
I don't think the expansions are worth it either. I only have the base game and I love playing it
>>
>>51623441
Cool. I hope the KS goes well. :)
>>
File: fuck this shit.jpg (53KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this shit.jpg
53KB, 425x425px
>>51620497
>>51620539
I bet to differ
>>
>>51623639
Monopoly is more fun than CAH.
>>
>>51623674
If you have aspegers, yes.
>>
>>51622693
>Sherlock
My African American friend
>>
File: Typos1.jpg (63KB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
Typos1.jpg
63KB, 384x512px
>>51623639
>I bet to differ
>>
>>51623681
Eh, even if it's shallow and shitty I prefer rolling dice to having old ladies ask what bukkake's are.
>>
>>51623747
Why are you playing with old ladies in the first place? They only play bingo or fucking loteria.
>>
>>51623827
>Not bridge
>>
>>51622245
Mysterium, Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, Chaos in the Old World, Fury of Dracula, Cosmic Encounter, Tragedy Looper, Aboretum, Machi Koro, and some others I forgot. I don't think they have the patience or willingness to play any game longer than 30 minutes.
>>
How does Star Wars: Rebellion plays with only 2 players?
>>
>>51624142
>they weren't down for Carcassonne and you decided you should try Chaos in the motherfucking Old World
>>
>>51624159
As intended, brilliantly; the 2-4 player count on the box is basically them saying "your kid can watch over your shoulder and pretend he's playing too"
>>
>>51624175
maybe they like the theme better?
>>
>>51616712
>High quality P'n'P for free
Sweet, thanks.
>>
I'll keep posting it until you like me ;_;
>>
>>51624530
Fugg, that's not all.
>>
>>51619442
I entered my address in the middle east, I doubt I'll be getting it.
I wonder if I should send it to my family in the US and have them bring it over, if its even worth the trouble.
>>
>>51624581
They won't be able to come back.
>>
>>51624142
damn anon, ditch these losers and invest in solo games
>>
>>51624159
It's MEANT for 2 players.
>>
>>51624601
Even if I'm from ______Israel?
>>
>>51624702
Especially then.
>>
>>51618340
Thanks for the link. Backed it.
>>
>>51618340
>mostly for the exploration phase where you flip tiles and wander around

You mean the worst part of a garbage game?
>>
>>51625826
You mean you mean the garbage part of the worst game?
>>
>>51618530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQ7v6ABIbc

It's mostly pleb shit, but like >>51618599
says, they raise the point that there's not a lot of foreknowledge about what games are coming out.
>>
>>51625826
The exploring part is the worst part? Not the part where the players have to split up and read for 10 minutes so a wildly unbalanced scenario can happen that feels like a huge letdown every time?
Be less retarded pls.
>>
>>51621708
maybe try to gently segway into medium games? Using something like Valley of the Kings or Mysterium?
>>
Shit, sorry guys couldn't manage to respond yesterday.

>>51611632
Thanks! Bookmarked that.Yeah I heard that paints are expensive but someone mentioned earlier that GW pains aren't that much expensive than other paints.
>>51617056
That looks quite good, I wouldn't risk StarCraft for my first paint job but maybe I'll try Last Night on Earth
>>51613153
Like I mentioned earlier I was afraid fucking up something in the process would ruin a mini irrevocably see:
>>51611172
I know next to nothing about the process (well I know about priming, washing, dry brushing and the whole shebang and I read a some but I never went through the process and never held a paintbrush)
>>
>>51626217

Plastic minis can be easily stripped of paint with brake fluid. I had a potato painted heroquest (well, even more potato painted than what I can manage anyway) and I used that process.

Like I said, I got jittery hands, bad eyesight and no patience, and yet I have managed to paint all that shit. If you know a few tips and tricks, you can achieve a lot with minimal effort.
>>
>>51616657
> What have you played recently?
Through the Ages (2ed).

Was fun. Due to blunders I thought I was going to lose. Didn't manage to finish Pyramids in era 1 because there was always something on the board that took my attention, didn't manage to grab neither Irigation nor Iron. Then I got Napoleon, got a yellow token from another player with an attack, had a lot of card draw so managed to get some tactics.

In the end of the 2nd era I managed to have coal and selective breeding and Scientific Method. I had enough science to discover military cards as they came in (with addition to yellow cards)

In the last two turns there was a 20+ difference in strength between me and the next player and I just played wars for culture. Had a plan to switch to computers/Bill Gates for the final round but that turned out to be unnecessary as the other player conceded defeat (the other quit during the second era)

> What are your current top 5 favorite games?
1. StarCraft
2. Through the Ages
3. Imperial Settlers
4. Kemet
5. Last Night on Earth
> Which 2017 releases are you most excited for?
None
>>
>>51625966
>The exploring part is the worst part? Not the part where the players have to split up and read for 10 minutes

Strictly speaking, not really. At least you feel like you have a purpose there. The only reason the game needs you for the first half is because the tiles can't physically put themselves out.
>>
>>51626415
I understand that. I know that the exploration phase is simply the set-up to the big showdown, it's just that the showdown is usually shit so the set-up phase ends being the more enjoyable one. In Sub Terra the entire game is exploration and haunt at the same time but without some extremely swingy unbalanced scenarios, which is why it sounds much more appealing to me than Betrayal.
>>
>>51623236
dieroll?
>>
>>51627172
Yes. It's odd looking when you have dieroll and die roll both on the same card. (And dieroll is incorrect.)
>>
File: 1479798845923.jpg (83KB, 662x879px) Image search: [Google]
1479798845923.jpg
83KB, 662x879px
Whats /tg/s general impressions on Betrayel at House on the Hill, Cthulhu Pandemic, and other other Cthulhu type board games? (preferably team based)
>>
File: pic471342.jpg (3MB, 2560x1873px) Image search: [Google]
pic471342.jpg
3MB, 2560x1873px
>>51616657
I recently played Pax Romana and Virgin Queen. Excellent games, if you're into that stuff

>What are your current top 5 favorite games?
In no particular order:

Virgin Queen
Falling Sky
Pax Baltica
Pax Romana
Labyrinth

>Which 2017 releases are you most excited for?
Ariovistus
Pericles
Frederick's Gamble.

Yeah, it looks like I have some very specific tastes, but I really do like all kinds of games; But historical games are simply the ones I like the most.

Also, I'm going to play Pax Britannica soon, looks like it might be a total clusterfuck (simultaneous turns, congresses and treaty writing (as in, you actually have to write treaties), and a fucking 'Chinese Resentment Index'), but I can't wait to be a filthy imperialist
>>
>>51627693
>Betrayel at House on the Hill
Gets old long before playing even half the haunt scenarios.
>>
>>51617124
Dragon Shields Matte Clear, though I had some difficulties finding them I was able to purchase a 1000 pieces box from France. They are rough on one side and smooth on the other, nearly indestructible and a true pleasure to shuffle.
They are a bit on the pricey side though, if you want to save money go Ultra Pro clear, I'd go premium if you have to sleeve thin cardstock otherwise you'll have floppy cards.
>>
>>51617429
>>51617095 (I'm not this anon)

It's not about not liking a game but not liking a business model that is easy to find deplorable for various reasons (uncertainty of fulfillment, "big names" using it as a preorder tool instead of a kickstartign tool like it was intended for, offering zero-production value rewards at sometimes literally thousands of $ to live off gullible wasteful idiots, features that hsould be baseline offered as rewards or stretch goals)
>>
I'm looking out for this

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194594/dice-forge

From the pics it seems CUTE and FUN, I only hope the dice faces won't break or stop sticking after 3 playthroughs
>>
>>51628049
>Asmodee
b-b-but they are evil and are against all form of fun...
>>
File: deep sea adventure.png (14KB, 170x300px) Image search: [Google]
deep sea adventure.png
14KB, 170x300px
Is this good?
>>
>>51628299
Yes. It's a perfect little microgame.
Your first game is always a crapshoot though because you haven't figured out exactly how deep is "normal" to go.
>>
What are some exciting games that play best at 3 players?
>>
>>51628793
Gonna need more info anon
Like, weight, are we talking Coup, Libertalia, or A Feast For Odin?
>>
>>51628829
Preferably medium weight or so.
>>
Any games out there that are worth a Print and Play?

Games with good material be it from the developers themselves (Campy Creatures) or some very gifted individuals (like Captain Sonar).
>>
Just picked up pic related. Looks great tier for family game night for my family who love pirates of the caribbean, not me so much but if the theme gets it to the table... plus those metal coins.

Anyone play it? How is it?
>>
Bought Roll for the Galaxy, hoping my mom will like it since the only other boardgame she'll play now is ticket to ride
>>
>>51629427

I've played it, the production values are awesome (like you said, DEM COINS) it's great fun and while pretty straightforward and lightweight in rules, it still can definitely be engaging for adults (My group of late 20s early 30s friends all really like it) and you can benefit from tactical/strategic play.

Due to the random nature of the upgrade cards, sometimes someone can get combinations of abilities that can be kinda broken, but with the fact that destroyed ships are brought back into the game in the player's next turn, if they run the board for a turn or if everyone else groups up on them to stop that, no one should get too salty.

Swiggity swooty, go get that booty.
>>
>>51629685
Jaipur and Patchwork should be pretty good parent games.
>>
>>51629685
Splendor is fantastic, it's the only game that got my non-gamer dad engaged. He's even asked to play it on different occasions.
>>
>>51618539
I got many people into trying board games with hanabi.
Also the obvious ticket to ride, pandemic and carcassone
>>
File: board-game-sleeves-range-16.jpg (27KB, 537x248px) Image search: [Google]
board-game-sleeves-range-16.jpg
27KB, 537x248px
>>51617124
Arcane Tinmen's boardgame sleeves.
>>
>>51628049
>>51628164
I've been looking at that game for some time too to become my diceroller game at my place, what's wrong with Asmodee?
>>
>>51617859
My fillers of choice:

Coloretto
6 Nimmt
Coup
Love Letter

Quick to setup, quick to teach, playtime in under half an hour and preferably closer to 15. Fillers are the kind of games you can start a session with, maybe while waiting for someone late to join you, or throw one between two heavier games as a palate cleanser.
>>
>groups first time playing Kingsburg
>didn't realize yet that the only battles in winter that have really bad consequences are the absurdly easy ones
>spend my last two seasons building my army while everyone else farms resources for their last buildings/VP
>king's aid is minimal, start to feel good about my decision
>flip the enemy card, I'm the only one who won but everyone else just tied of lost nothing of value
>ended up in dead last
>tfw
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB7mHxdHlRY
>>
>>51619080
To double the pleasure?
>>
>>51630306
>>51630932
Spendlor seems like a lot of fun and I'm probably getting that next for my lighter game collection
I'm.kinda banking on her love of Yahtzee and dice rolling for her enjoyment of rftg but I know my group will like it
>>
>>51631253
Asmodee is the company who's finally fulfilling the inevitable role all industries have once they're big enough - a giant evil corporation who buys every other company and desires to control the entire overarching state of the medium. It happened to music, vidya, book publishing, etc. Now it's finally here.

I mean, we're lucky enough to live in an era where being an indie dev is easier than it's ever been, so great Kickstarter games will still be a thing, etc, but they really do want to be the Hasbro of actually good games, they've outright stated this, and they have a good chance.
>>
>>51631253
>>51631709
Asmodee is also the reason a bunch of games randomly went up $5-$20+ overnight and they fucked over a lot of suppliers by demanding specific distribution models.

Basically they are piss.
>>
Holy shit I got a new free board for TTR
based asmodee customer service I thought they were just gonna outright decline it
>>
>>51624159
I keep hearing things like Imperial Assault is tactical while Rebellion is strategic.

What does that even mean?
>>
>>51631967
DoW and FFG historically have really nice customer service, the real hate for them is just the pricing and disdain bargain/online shoppers.
>>
>>51631986
Yeah I'm just surprised I got it for free cuz it wasn't damaged out of the box, but I guess it falls under the whole damaged because of a production fault thing
Any tips on how to prevent board warping?
I'm buying a 30 pack of silica gel packets as a first line of defense and probably moving my game collection somewhere that's not my closet
>>
>>51632054
Keep your collection in a location that is not adjacent to the elements. This means:

Not on the ground floor unless you live in a building with a raised foundation.

Not against any wall that has the outdoors on the other side of it.

Not near any windows or doors.

Not in a room that experiences temperature fluctuations, like the laundry room, or any room adjacent to that.
>>
>>51624159

its a 2 player game so it plays perfectly?
>>
>>51616657

Anyone got any Gloomhaven stories yet?
>>
Anyone else getting High Frontier this month?
>>
>>51633065
>getting high
my body is ready
>>
>>51633065
I'm still angry and sad that I missed the campaign. I'll try to get a copy once the game is out. Crossing my fingers...
>>
>>51633421
If you're willing to shell out for it, ossgames.com has some 200 copies on pre-order
>>
>>51620444
Trips says you're going to be ok, anon.

I haven't had much luck finding people on BGG to game with. I have a ton of games, my own place and I'm not a total sperg. Should I host a meetup? There's literally none less than an hour away.
>>
>>51622693
there's some cheap copies of old Sherlock floating around, but I know I'll regret not waiting for the new edition.
>>
>>51633501
Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>51623639
Monopoly is a game

CaH is a retarded, lolsorandumb shitfest.

I'll play Monopoly erry time.
>>
>>51624530
Are you me??
>>
>>51624560
Also, your BGG username is in the pics file name.
>>
>>51624581
>Middle East
>sheep

I thought you guys were into goats?
>>
File: IMG_1724.png (488KB, 1089x1247px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1724.png
488KB, 1089x1247px
>>51626237
Rob from Dice Tower is a garbage painter.

Go watch Lord Duncan on Warhammer TV's YouTube channel. His videos are great for beginners and break everything down step by step. Watching him has made me 1000x better. Praise be upon Lord Duncan.
>>
Flick em up x Warhammer 40k when
>>
>>51633822
Watched both before I started, they're both good, Rob just had some good tips that you're not gonna get from a guy making videos who wants you to buy more of his company's stuff regardless of success. Also GW brushes are absolute shit for the price, but that's why we have Hobby Lobby.
>>
R8 Summoner Wars
>>
Just played Boss Monster with strangers. Shit's fun and slightly strategic but the random aspect is quite big. Still gonna buy it cause I love the theme.
>>
>>51635794
Own it, the only game I could really call a turkey, but I bought it for charity so no waste there. I do feel it avoids Munchkin problems by being over so fast that the luck, while it can be shitty, doesn't really affect you for too long. Helps the guys who make it have been really cool at cons when meeting them, and free promos all the time. Also free app version, that's showing love for your customer.
>>
>>51623827
Dude, best /tg/ session i ever had was playing Mahjong with some old Asian Ladies. They get intense.
>>
>>51635612
>R8 Summoner Wars
9/10 because i am a basic board bitch.

But for real, it is a relatively cheap, light skirmish game. I first got into it buying 4 random expansion decks, and made the map out of solid colour card sleeves. Fell in love with it after only a few plays, and with several decks that are, in the current state of the game, considered the weakest.

Dice rolls determine many a game, but if you enjoy war/miniature games where luck like that is constant, people are in for a treat.

Did not stop some crazies from trying to fix it though.

The big box sets are amazing. 10/10 bang for your buck right there.
>>
>>51633822
Rob paints for the table.

Duncan paints for the display case.

Both do their jobs pretty well, just follow which direction you want to go.
>>
>>51636117
Well, the luck aspect is a big downside even on the short run. If you get lucky, you can use mechanisms and thrive (destroy rooms with heroes, have the recycler allow you to draw more cards, use unneeded monster rooms to draw spell cards, giving you an edge over your opponents) and you can pull off a series of room that allow you to destroy heroes easily. Meanwhile, players who have reached the limit and cannot upgrade can't do shit unless they possess spells but the game doesn't allow you to draw spells on a regular basis. The game definitely felt completely unbalanced due to all of that.

The best part of the game is about managing the cards symbol according to heroes that are out, heroes that MIGHT come out AND your opponents' symbols to try to cockblock them or avoid heroes when you are unprepared. Definitely the most interesting part.
>>
>>51636379
Yeah it's got some flaws, and if played too often the referential humor would definitely lose it's appeal, but as long as I space out plays it's enjoyable. Still even if I hadn't bought it for charity I'd prolly keep it in my collection just because it's the first game I bought after coming back to the hobby 5-6 years ago. It's a good reminder to me that I should thoroughly vet any game before putting down money, there's not so much in my bank accts that I can just get everything and hope for the best.
>>
>>51633879
>a possibly fun warhammer themed game in the year of our lord 40k - 37,983

Not as long as GW has any say in it.
>>
>>51636495
True, true
I just feel like the CCG or better yet LCG model would fit perfectly into a game like FeU
Kinda like x wing minis but dexterity based movement and combat
>>
>>51635612
>>51636151
Shit this looks fun
>>
>>51636611
I agree, it's a great idea. Warhammer Diskwars was bretty gud and I bet someone could do something awesome with a dexterity 40k game. Shame GW would never allow it.
>>
Am I the only one that doesn't buy 10 new games every month?
>>
>>51638711
When I was first getting into games, I got a cool stuff or Amazon package with a new game or 2 in the mail every other week. Now I've kinda hit a point where I own a variety of games and just want to get them all to the table a good number of times.
>>
>>51638711
I bought 10 games last year, so I'm in the same boat as you anon

my big problem is I'm lucky if I get to play games with other people in the average month, so I can't justify buying a bunch of games. if I got to play every week or two, things might be different.

although it's probably a good thing. I heavily vet every game I'm interested in, so I tend to avoid making spur of the moment purchases that I regret later.
>>
>>51638711
I buy 5-8 games a year, get another 3-4 as birthday/xmas gifts; and since like to save a good bit of my "gaming" budget for convention season, that means Jan-Aug is almost always purchase free. I'm also really really tough on deciding to purchase anything, my buy list has an exceptional level of autism before a game can move up and be worthy of my cash; and that's assuming I've played the game, which usually means waiting 3-4 months til I can get to a local con where there's a better chance of demoing.
>>
>>51638711
I'd say you're in the majority, only those people who are really new to the hobby or idiots with too much money would buy games that often.
>>
>>51638711
This is the norm. I fucked up since I kickstarted KD:M last month so I don't have a lot of board game money for a couple of months.
>>
>>51616657
Bought and played Tzolkin. I like it, pretty fun and I've had an itch for a workerplacement game.
What are your current top 5 favorite games?
Arkham Horror
Android: Netrunner
Twilight Struggle
Robinson Crusoe
Tzolkin
>>
>>51638711
I've been buying board games for the past 18 months, I was initially picking up stuff at a fast pace due to selling about three grand worth of MTG cards but I've slowed down significantly since then and have been taking time to appreciate my earlier purchases more
>>
>>51640441
>only those people who are really new to the hobby or idiots with too much money would buy games that often.
Not him, but I'm both. I've decreased it considerably though, the only game I'm keeping an eye on right now is T&T and I've got like five incoming KS's.
>>
>>51616712
>>51618340
>never backed anything on KS before
>now backed two games at once

Great /tg/... Not sure whether to thank you or or tell you to go fuck yourself.
>>
>>51641514
It's your fault for being weak-minded.
>>
Just sent Campy Creatures to my local printer place. I've got a fair bit of experience putting together print 'n' plays with my crappy home printer and laminator, so I'm eager to see what the result will be.

The rules has an inconsistency with the Beast card, is it 2 or 3 points per round?
>>
>>51641616
As far as I know it's 3 points. Where did you get 2?
>>
>>51635612
5/10
I only have the basic box and one expansion. I guess I'll try selling it soon.
>>
>>51638711
First year I averaged a little bit less than 2 games per month.

For the last half a year I bought
> FoD
Because I fear it's going out of print
> Lord of Xidit
Because I had no programming game
> Terra Mystica
Had fun playing it.

And a couple of expansions (Imperial Settlers and Kemet)

For this year I'm only getting War of the Ring, Growing Hunger expansion for Last Night on Earth and maybe Arkham Horror: LCG and the Timber Peaks expansion to LNoE.

I don't foresee buying a new game, maybe another expansion to the game I own but I think I've got enough games as it is.
>>
>>51633822
Seen one video, holy shit that guy is good.

On the other hand - I don't think it will translate well to paining board game minis, there's much less detail there.
>>
>>51618340
That looks neat. I'm really thinking about backing this.
>>
>>51641750
The rules PDF. The cards looks like they've been worked on more recently, so I'd go with 3.
>>
>>51629427
I own it, but only played it once. It's fairly easy and family-friendly. I didn't like the lack of choice: during your turn you simply pick one of the 2 movement cards in your hand and move the ships accordingly. The other actions (except for event cards) are automatic. Guess it was too light for my tastes. Great components, though.
>>
>>51641773
How is Lords of Xidit? That's been on my wishlist for a while because I lack a programming game, does it still hold value after playing it several times?
>>
>>51642425
I played it only 3 times as of now so you might want someone else's opinion on how it holds up after multiple plays.

As far as my opinion after 3 games goes:
1) Fun
2) Very replayable - not only is the game setup different each time there's 6 different "goals" of how to win the game
3) People usually need a couple of rounds to get the hang of it (tactics) but they understand the rules pretty much instantly.

I'd say it's a game that doesn't get old very fast. The premise is very simple but the simultaneous action and predicting your opponents gives good value.
>>
Robinson Crusoe, how is 1st ed different from the 2nd?
>>
>>51633822

I like rob, I find that sometimes his advices arent all that great, but I think everybody's got his own sweet spot/comfort zone when it comes to painting.

He's also a very likeable guy, even if I think he sometimes shares too much about himself and his opinions, he seems like he could get in some pretty epic shitstorms if someone was really trying to get to him.
>>
File: pic64782.jpg (236KB, 1024x465px) Image search: [Google]
pic64782.jpg
236KB, 1024x465px
>>51643048
>>51633822
>>51626237

Stupid question. I'm watching this video for Ork skin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpqxHFMZXs

Say I decided to do the same for War of the Ring ork (the guy on the right here) but decided to use Folk Art or Vallejo with a similar color paints...

As I understand in addition to the color there's also a type of paint? I mean on the video you can see that they have different characteristics and googlin gives this categorisation
> Base paint
Waaagh! Flesh
Zandri Dust

> Shade
Biel-Tan Green
Agrax Earthshade

> Layer paint
Warboss Green
Skarskin Green
Ushabti Bone
Screaming Skull
Evil Sunz Scarlet

What's the difference between base paint, shade and layer paint? Do the other manufacturers provide paints with similar categories?
>>
>>51643403

Lazy as fuck shadows of brimstone painter here.
Not sure what this guy means by base paint...

I use these three categories :

Primer (I usually use army painter spraypaint cans, and buy appropriate colors for my minis, Got a spray of goblin green for exemple, saves a lot of time. But not money)
Layers (just standard paint, nothing fancy, I like Vallejo the most, but everyone got their own favorite)
Shade (shades are like a very thin ink that you use to cover entire areas with. It clings to crevices and gives an instand "shading effect" it's often refered as "liquid talent" by people because it instantly makes your minis look like they've got a lot of work put into them when you didnt do shit actually)

Occasionally I use "special effect" paints like Games Workshop's "nurgle rot" or "blood for the blood god". They're just fancy shit you dont really need. But being the lazy cunt I am, I'm constantly looking for stuff that makes my minis look better without me doing anything.
>>
>>51643403

Shit I barely answered your question.

Layer paints are like the standard paints you can find anywhere. Shades have different names depending the companies, Quickshade is the army painter name, they're also called washes I believe by other companies, dont remember which.
>>
>>51643468
>>51643452
Thank's for the answer I'll fish more about paint types before trying to buy them.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Base-Zandri-Dust?_requestid=1553690

Base paint seems to be just a "strong" paint type (that will cover anything) but I need to research more.

If I understand correctly why you're trying to tell me is that I can at least replace the layer paints from citadel with generic ones.
>>
>>51643495

Yeah, and seriously, consider using cans of primer, it's such a timesaver, even if you buy just a can of white or black as a generic base
>>
>>51643468
Oh and another stupid question? Does primer come in a form you can paint on? I don't have any well ventilated area accessible (and yeah that counts outside too).
>>
>>51643524

Yes it does, arent those "base" paints basically primers ? If they're not, that does sound like some kind of horseshit you dont need GW is trying to make you buy.
>>
>>51643557
> Yes it does
Cool!
> arent those "base" paints basically primers?
I don't know
> If they're not, that does sound like some kind of horseshit you dont need GW is trying to make you buy.
Ok, like I said I'll try to research.
>>
>>51643635

Nevermind, I read the GW page and it turns out bases = primers apparently
>>
>>51643662
Thanks that explains some stuff.
>>
File: 1332291653924.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1332291653924.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
Does anyone play Raptor?

I played for the first time yesterday but have a rules query the rulebook doesn't cover. Does anyone know if a scientist can use his action points to fire multiple gas canisters at the mother raptor on his turn.

Last night I drew a 9, my opponent drew a 2. My 7 AP gave me enough to take down the mother raptor and win the game in that one turn.

This seems far too overpowered to me. Even if that was a fairly rare and ideal circumstance.

We played 4-5 games and the scientists won every time. He was too committed to win with the raptors to swap sides so we could see if it was just my being alot more proficient with the game than he is but it seems the scientists is the easy mode option and such an OP attack seems over the top.
>>
Could anyone help me? I'm trying to remember a hex and chit strategy game. It's setting is weird war / post apocalypse. I'd say it was published maybe in the last 10 years.

Sorry if that's a bit vague.
>>
>>51643860
Neuroshima Hex?
>>
>>51641794
Not true. I only paint boardgaming minis, and using his techniques, my minis are way better.

good technique is good technique whether it's on a space marine or a zombie or an Imperial storm trooper.
>>
>>51643882
More on scale with Advanced Squad Leader, but similar setting to Neuroshima Hex.
>>
>>51643886
Well... ok. Now I'm looking for him doing zombies ;P
>>
File: Nuklear Winter68.jpg (61KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
Nuklear Winter68.jpg
61KB, 386x500px
>>51643860
Nuclear Winter 68 / Heart of Darkness?
>>
File: Nuklear Winter 68.png (4MB, 1744x1185px) Image search: [Google]
Nuklear Winter 68.png
4MB, 1744x1185px
>>51643899
Nuklear Winter 68...
>>
>>51643899
THAT'S IT! Thanks a ton!
>>
>>51643921
NW68 fit your initial description perfectly. Glad to help.
>>
>>51643403
Base Paint: These are the paints that will usually form the 'base' of the colors youll build to. They're higher in pigment and so go on easier and cover better.

Layer Paints: these have less pigment than base paints so they go on more translucent than base paints. This is why Duncan says 'two thin coats'.

Shade: These are washes. They are designed to flow into the recesses of the model to give it depth. Be careful when applying because they can pool up and leave stains in places you don't want.

This is all Citadel brand paints. Not sure about other lines.
>>
>>51643799
Each scientist can only do one aggressive action per turn.
>>
>>51643989
So base paints aren't primers?
>>
>>51643557
Base paints are NOT primer! If you try to paint without primer, your paint isn't going to stick to the model.

I've never used it, but people I know use gesso as a brush on primer to good effect. You can buy it cheap in white or black from any art or craft store.
>>
>>51644020
They aren't. Chaos Black is a primer. Abaddon Black is a base paint. Primer is designed to stick to the plastic/resin/metal, paint is designed to stick to the primer/paint.
>>
>>51627980
>>51631201
Thanks, found the Dragon Shields. There's even a Mini line which may come closer to what I need. I don't need tons, just printing an unofficial Ticket to Ride map.
>>
>>51644073
>>51644035
Oh thanks! Will look into gesso and try to find replacements for the citadel line
>>
I need games with Alchemy as their central topic of includes some form of chemestry/alchemy on it. thanks.
>>
File: IMG_8450.jpg (45KB, 342x355px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8450.jpg
45KB, 342x355px
>>51644547
I haven't played it but maybe this could work?
>>
>>51644547
Alchemists
Compounded
>>
>>51643799
As said, each scientist can only do one agressive action per turn, that means either one shot or one capture.
You can't shoot multiple times with the same scientist or shoot then capture with the same scientist.

Overall it's true that scientists are slightly stronger, especially if they can get early reinforcements that they manage to protect, but the mother raptor still runs like a truck and can kill everyone on the board quickly. Killing everyone is much easier for the raptors, capturing young raptors for the scientists (because if you can shoot at her, chances are she can kill the shooter following turn - 3 actions).
>>
File: s-l225[1].jpg (13KB, 225x223px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225[1].jpg
13KB, 225x223px
does the very first edition of neuroshima hex hold up ?

i bought it a few years ago because it was 50% off in my lgs. i have not played it yet.
i was wondering if i should just get third edition and gift this to someone else.
>>
what the best solution to play portable play surfaces?
i really have no room for a dedicated game table but playing on wood or table cloth just sucks
>>
>>51645360
I'm not sure about the first edition but the only difference between the second and the third is artwork.
>>
>>51645382
http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-wargaming-mat-48-x-48-square
>>
>>51645461
i've been looking at these, would you recommend them?
probably gonna cheap out and buy a pre designed one if i do end up buying from them
>>
>>51645391
mmm. i hope thats the same for 1st and second, but i cant really imagine that.
>>
>>51644602
>>51644638
I'll be looking for that. specially compounded, I haven't heard of that game and look at it, heacy chemestry based.
>>
>>51645502
I really like them, using a pair on my 8'x4' table right now, though they're about half a centimeter undersized.
>>
File: 1447116188033.jpg (764KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1447116188033.jpg
764KB, 2048x1536px
>>51644736
Yea thanks.

I houseruled that last night anyway but glad to clear it up officially.
>>
Guys I have a tough one. I love fleet control games and card games. So far I've only found two. Starfighter ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171226/starfighter) and Exosphere (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1623042129/exosphere-the-sci-fi-strategy-card-game) I haven't backed the later yet as I am waiting to see some gameplay but I own the former and love it.

For the life of me I cannot find any others. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51645391
Rules wise there isn't really a difference between 2nd and 3rd edition (Z-Man games vs Portal Publishing IIRC) - but there is a difference in the armies included in the box. (Dooms-day Machine is in the Z-Man, but not Portal version of the core box.)
>>
>>51646546

Star Realms & Core Worlds might scratch your itch. There's also Eminent Domain, but that's less about 'Fleet Control'.
>>
Just got this mini expansion! Score!
>>
>>51642688
mainly better rules with a few fixes and clarifications on components
http://portalgames.pl/en/article-robinson-crusoe-changes-and-rules/
>>
File: exploding kittens.png (227KB, 700x374px) Image search: [Google]
exploding kittens.png
227KB, 700x374px
>hang out with friends at friend's place
>relaxed, mellow evening with talking, laughing and drinking
>friend suggests playing a party game he recently got
>people agree and he brings out pic related
>we play for a while
>after 2 or 3 rounds we stop playing and he asks us how we like the game
>everybody except me says they love it
>I tell him I didn't really like it but it's okay (I actually fucking hated it, really boring with terrible mechnics and childish humor)
>he tells me I'm wrong
>"about what? my opinion?"
>proceeds to tell me how this broke records on Kickstarter and millions of people love the game and I just didn't get it

So when I got home I looked it up. How the hell did they raise $8.782.571 for this? That's well over eight and a half MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS!

What the fuck? How did this game manage to captivate so many people? Is there something about it I'm missing?
>>
>>51647216
most of the people who backed it probably weren't actually interested in the game. they were just fans of the webcomic with the same dumb art and lame humor

it's like when penny arcade made those video games, although not even fans of the comic could delude themselves into thinking they were good
>>
>>51647216
Brother and his wife got it last year at Target, had me over and we played because they want to get more into board gaming. I realized after 1 round it wasn't a game, but at least I could pick who won each time since they didn't see how some of the rules were broken.
>did you like it anon?
Ummm sure it was fine I guess, though the art doesn't grab me and I have had a few beers, next time I'll bring Survive. If you guys have fun saying "take that" you're gonna love it.
>>
>>51647216
Chill anon, it's a fine game. It's basically like Fluxx only less random and with a larger take that element. Good filler, good to introduce people who for some reason like Uno to the hobby.

It got so much money because The Oatmeal did the art and jokes, and he used to be really big on the internet so there's nostalgia there. That's it.

It's fine.
>>
>>51647216
Congratulations, you have discovered that people are fucking stupid.
>>
>>51647216
I like it as an UNO replacement, and just doing silly shit like pretending to shuffle really hard after getting an exploded when all I'm doing is putting it somewhere weird. Certainly not good, but it's fine.
>>
File: pic3164826.jpg (150KB, 1004x707px) Image search: [Google]
pic3164826.jpg
150KB, 1004x707px
speaking of uno replacements, I've heard that red7 is a great one, but I've not gotten a chance to play it. anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>>51646879
Thanks star realms looks like a great combination of legendary and scifi. May be a bit light on actual fleet management but could be cool. Plus it's cheep so ain't go much to lose. Thanks for the idea
>>
File: IMG_1335.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1335.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_1339.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1339.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51648293
had to cut up the board in lords of creation to make that one work.

i got it from this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjOc76T2tk
makings travelling with games much easier
>>
>>51647950
Glad to help! Hope you like it.
>>
>>51616712
>been looking for a good filler for inbetween big games
>all the recommend fillers didn't really appeal to me
>check this out
>really really like it
>backed

Wow

Love the theme, love the pacing, love the decision making, love the art, love the abilities, love the easy playability. Seriously I've been looking for a good filler for a while now and this is the first one I actually want.
>>
>>51648293
Woah, how did you make these? I want to make smaller boxes for splendor And carcassonne
>>
File: IMG_5104.jpg (710KB, 887x687px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5104.jpg
710KB, 887x687px
>>51619030

You ether got the priest in the first draft, or you just got maimed by your friends. Or was it all down to one bad dice roll perhaps? You just got the toad curse didn't you?

To me, Talisman is a classic first and foremost. And its more than just a game, its an experience you can share with friends. In truth, its one of the first board game I ever played that included more advanced rules than LUDO or Monopoly, because in those games you rolled the dice and could only go one way! Theres more than that part, I just found it funny to include.
In truth, it was the first entry-way to the idea of a "more advanced gameplay", keep in mind this was a good 20 years back. Hell, it even had spells and shop items that could alter the course of the game to your advantage, or disadvantage! You could chose to attack one another, or to draw from the deck, another "new" feature in my, at the time, narrow world of board games. This way, one could build alliances or become foes alike, all depending on your choice.

Now, I got the 4th edition, with all expansions, and really, what a game. Its fun, got tons of contents, you can walk different paths or struggle to achieve the same. And in the end its not even the regular goal anymore if you don't want it to be. In truth, I think I could play this game at a regular basis for a good 10+ years onwards and never end up with the same experience! Thus in contrasts of your opinion, I rate this game to be one of the better games ever. Keep in mind though, I do have a lot of nostalgia in my feels when claiming this (and this could counts just as high as being turned in to a toad and bluntly proclaiming the game one of the worst out there!).
>>
File: 1486671313187.jpg (614KB, 1570x1958px) Image search: [Google]
1486671313187.jpg
614KB, 1570x1958px
How would a 4 player Hogwarts game work? Bonus points for incorporating Sorting Hat and Dementors into the mix.
>>
>>51650298
Dunno but that sounds like it would be instafunded on Kickstarter
>>
>>51647668
Because of this post I just downloaded the Red7 app and played it for an hour.

Verdict: It's really, really good! Holy crap, I was totally avoiding the idea of even trying this game because of the Uno comparisons, but this is really impressive and totally different. It's a chess match, a battle of wits. If you play your cards for the right purposes, even a totally shitty hand can win.

For example, say you have nothing above 3 at all - out of a max value of 7, mind you. Well, some of the victory conditions you can change to are having the most cards valued <4. Or all one color. Or most different colors, or all one number. If you hold back the right cards to use as scoring conditions, you can win with a palette of just five 1s.

Yet it's also quite simple. As long as you explain it the right way. The box explains it as being "7 different games", but really it's more just 7 shifting victory conditions, which is much simpler to describe.

All in all, not at all mad that I just spent $3 in the Google play store for you, Anon. I'll be playing this on my phone all the time now, and I just called in to reserve a copy at my FLGS.

Damn it's good.
>>
>>51650648
oh shit, I didn't even know there was a phone app. if I had I probably would have tried it out myself rather than post about it here

well thanks for the heads up
>>
is there any other LCG out there? I mean outside of FFG. also no news about upcomming games that use a similar format?
>>
>>51647216
Anon - you have to keep a couple of things in mind:

1. Many folks have only every played Monopoly (or similarly bad / vastly outdated games) which means even a mediocre game will seem exciting by comparison.

2. For many the motto " 'Good' is good enough." applies to their view on leisure activities. They aren't looking to invest effort in order to maximize the 'fun returns'.

That said, if someone told me that "It must be good, millions of people backed it." My reply would have been "And the world must be flat - after all, millions of people would have told Christopher Columbus that in ages past..."
>>
>>51648293
>>51648325
Man I've been planning on doing this same thing with all my oversized box games.

>King of Tokyo
>Spit it Out
>The Hobbit
>Machi Koro
>Settlers of Catan
>Ticket to Ride
>Neuroshima Hex

What games do you guys have that are filled with criminally negligent amounts of air?
>>
>>51650913
Splendor... (Though I'm going to use plastic gems in place of the chips so that'll take up some of the excess air.)
>>
>>51650298
Each player is a house, wins by winning the house cup at the end of the year.
Sorting hat doles out drawn students to the houses at the beginning of the game in some semi-random fashion. Players may not get equal numbers of students, having more will give you both more opportunities to earn house points, but also more opportunities to get dicked with penalties.
Deck of event cards to mess with random shit can certainly include dementors.
>>
>>51650913
7 wonders without any expansions is pretty egregious
>>
>>51650298
> Sorting Hat
People draft character traits associated with the four houses, but the character traits are also goals for finishing the game.

The highest bid in courage gets to Gryffindor.
The highest bid in passion for wisdom gets to Ravenclaw
The highest bid in cunning gets into Slytherin
The last player gets into Hufflepuff
> Game play
The players win by no being expelled from the school while also fulfilling the goals they drafted.

I guess there could be some generic bad guy that the all players have to defeat as an alternative (while fulfilling their goals)
>>
>>51650298
Specter Ops but with HP characters, each with their own special abilities and/or spells. The guy on the run is Voldemort, who has infiltrated Hogwarts, and he can cast spells and perhaps summon minions. Then there are also neutral threats like dementors and trolls and spiders that can attack the heroes if influenced by Voldi. Whenever the heroes beat one of his monsters or inflict damage on Voldi they gain XP. They can then go to some important location on the map to exchange those XP for better spells.

Something like that.
>>
>>51650753
Right. As soon as a game feels too much like work, it stops being fun.

Unless you don't have a job, in which case...
>>
page 10, begone!
>>
>>51648293
>>51648325
Damn, I really should start doing this as well
>>
>>51650298

Argent: the Consortium
>>
>>51654176
pretty much this, the main difference is that you play as staff (apart from a couple students as a neutral magic school player) trying to become the next chancellor. it's easily one of my top 3 games
>>
>>51649610
Getting pretty shilly in here.
>>
I used to draft MtG packs with my non-MtG playing friends. We always had a blast but I've since then quit the TCG hobby and sold off most of the cards.

Lately my players have been asking if we could play MtG again and I feel bad not ebing able to provide it to them. I'm also not willing to buy packs or even singles again. They also don't have any experience building decks.

What's the closest deck building game that mimics MtG? They really liked the 1 on 1 scene. Are there any deck builders out there NOT about grabbing VPs? I think they'd rather take the fight to opponents face and actually fight each other instead of a line of cards.
>>
>>51655556
Epic, Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
>>
>>51655556
Definitely Epic if you want to draft again.
>>
>>51654540

It sounds like every Level 99 Games game is really, really good. I'd love to pick more up but only recently got into the hobby and missed most of the best Kickstarters. I did snag Millennium Blades at least.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-10-00-40-49.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-10-00-40-49.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Wtf is wrong with zee's arm
>>
>>51651240
>Unless you don't have a job, in which case...
Is this why I'm easily amused by most games?
>>
File: IMG_20170210_150924.jpg (841KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170210_150924.jpg
841KB, 3264x2448px
Print 'n' play is coming along nicely.

I always underestimate how much labour is involved though.

Going on a week long coast trip with friends and a trunk full of boardgames, so it should get plenty of plays in between bigger games.
>>
>>51656867
Lookin good. Been playing with my pnp copy for a couple days now and it's so much fun. Really cool game.
>>
File: IMG_1307.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1307.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51650913
not sure about that king of tokyo. maybe its the old edition but the new edition seems to make pretty good use of space.

also for some games that are also to thick i make a completely new box.
>>
>>51656381
Builtfat and he's pressing his biceps against the table so it looks larger.
>>
>>51658122
dont think he is built. pretty sure hes just pressing fatceps against the table.
>>
>>51656238
Disc Duelers is just an extremely watered down TT wargame attached to dexterity mechanics.
I still snagged it when they had it on sale for $15 just to support them.
>>
>>51656381
He's been hitting the synthol.
>>
File: IMG-20170129-WA0000.jpg (14KB, 480x216px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170129-WA0000.jpg
14KB, 480x216px
>>51656238
>he hasn't played 7 Card Slugfest
>mfw a lfgs has 6 copies, they've sat there for a year
>clearance does nothing
>my own copy that came with devastation of indines is trying to stay unnoticed on the shelf, as it should be
>>
>>51655556
Games already mentioned ate very good. If you like to deck build during the game, try Nightfall. No vps, just brutal murder. Very cool mechanic as well that guides deck building and cats play as well.
>>
>>51658557
>>51658949

Well at least I have some to avoid - never even heard of these two
>>
>>51650691
Well, legend of the five rings is getting rebooted as an lcg, but that is once again ffg. Doomtown is kill as AEG cannot into anything other than Smash Up these days, and Ashes has gotten zero real updates since early December regarding product.
>>
>>51658976
Eh, disc duelers is like worms 2: silly power ups and weapons, players getting hoisted by their own petard, very fun at high player counts, and lends itself to being modified however you see fit.

7CSF is just trash with nothing redeeming whatsoever
>>
Is kingdom builder any fun? It looks like a light game to play while waiting for more players to arrive(which happens in our group a lot). It's also relatively cheap and I'm such a sucker for hexes for some reason.
>>
File: IMG_3752.jpg (520KB, 637x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3752.jpg
520KB, 637x800px
>>51619030

Talisman is about the adventure. The randomness is supposed to be the fun part. You don't like random, you won't like Talisman.
>>
>>51659016
>Doomtown
it still hurts.
>>
New thread pls
>>
>>51659114
The scoring conditions and board layout change each time, and it plays fast. Pretty good game.
>>
>>51655556
You could just proxying up an MTG cube. Cube drafting is easily one of the better ways to play magic, if you can't find other game that scratches the same itch.
>>
What's your favorite non-race car themed racing game? I'm looking to get one and could use recommendations

Ave Caesar interests me the most, but I just can't justify its price.

I think Expedition Northwest Passage might be next on my list thanks to the tile laying and the fantastic art, but I've seen some negative things about it. They've not been super articulate in what they don't like, but it still gives me pause

Jamaica is fairly well liked, but it seems like it might be a tad too light I guess. I go back and forth on this one a lot

as much as I like the look and mechanics of Lewis and Clark, it might just have a bit too much going on for my group

Snow Tails seems like another option that I just need to look into more

I see that Snowblind is available now, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on that. I watched rahdo's video about it last year and it did seem interesting, so I might just have to look into it more as well
>>
MIGRATE

>>51660748

MIGRATE
>>
>>51660753
10 posts early again.........
Thread posts: 302
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.