[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 37

File: 1923413.png (2MB, 2121x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1923413.png
2MB, 2121x1500px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51570111

We all know about standard race-class combos. Half-orc barbarian, dwarf cleric, tiefling bard. But what's your experience with non-standard combinations? Have you ever seen, say, a half-orc wizard? What about dwarven rogue? A tiefling cleric?
>>
First for ffffffffuck magic items for the sake of magic items. Creative and/or non-arbitrary magic items that actually fit into and have relevance to the story only.
>>
>>51577525
I'd really hate to be a fighter in your games.
>>
players are getting deck of illusions and bag of tricks

Bag of tricks says a player can pull a fuzzy object of the bag and throw it, 3 times a day. Does it gain back the charges at dawn?

I know deck of illusions has a finite number of cards. For deck of many things - aside from two cards, they reappear in the deck. So it has infinite uses? Can a player just say, I want to draw 50 cards? Can a player say, I want to draw 1 card at a time?
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1097x948px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1097x948px
>Reposting question for ease

Running a japanese-themed campaign.

Lots of japanese mythology, the players are all Hengeyokai(Animals that take the form of people) and there's a lot of spookiness going on.

A plague is infecting the land like Armello's rot (Power in exchange for sanity, and soul devouring, monster making necrotic effect) and this is an enemy that plays into one of my PC's backgrounds that's a major henchman for the Big bad shogun. Does this fit CR? What level should they encounter this if it included like 4-8 wolf warriors(gnoll-sheet.)

I am giving them a decent number of magic items. First time running a campaign so feedback would help.
>>
How to make the Sleep spell less underwhelming? Currently only able to malice a few weak goblins, it hardly feels worth the slot at first level, nevermind any increase.
>>
>>51577593
It's meant to be used against weak goblins.
>>
Reposting because I need help.

So can anyone who has used this class in their campaign or playtested it or is a GM for it can tell me if this is too strong or not.

>Crystal Longsword, Legendary Item

Requires Attunement by an Arcane Order Magus

>Sonic Wave.
This ability channels the spellcaster's arcane history and allows the weapon to fire an arcane thunderous wave at a target 60ft. away. The booming wave requires a melee attack. The wave deals 3d6 points of thunder damage you can expend spell slots to increase the damage upwards to 6d6 points of thunder damage. This can only be used once per short rest.

>Thunderus Enspell.
When you use the enspell feature on this weapon instead of force you may choose to instead deal thunder damage and your Arcane Enspell ability increases the push on a failed saving throw to 20 ft. and deals an additional 1d8 thunder or force damage based on the enspell feature granted.

>Thunderus Aegis.
When you use the arcane aegis feature you may teleport up to 60 ft. and make one weapon attack against the creature.
>>
>>51577525
I gave the party a Deck of Many Things.

It only had one card left.

They kept it in a sleeve, hoping to draw it in their most desperate hour.

Then the guy holding it got trampled to death and left to rot in the woods, so THAT's never gonna show up again.
>>
>>51577525
I worded it poorly. It's fine to have a jug of alchemy or something even if it isn't relevant, but if you're throwing +2 items around that are just there as 'I guess it's bonus treasure or something' then fuck that.

>>51577581
>Needing a +Whatever weapon that doesn't actually have any relevance to what you're doing aside from the fact is does more damage to have fun
I don't know, if you find going on a quest to kill a mighty dragon and having the legendary dragonslaying sword more boring than going on a quest to kill a mighty dragon and having a random legendary item that you just kinda found in a lich tomb somewhere that's effective on everything, then I'd say you're a boring person.
>>
>>51577611
> Gish class
It's shit.
>>
>>51577633
>calls gish class shit
>paladin exists
No, You're shit.
>>
>>51577630
> Oh, anon, you want a magic sword? Cool, you need to go on this epic adventure and kill all those demons, and...
> But I want the magic weapon BECAUSE I'm struggling to kill any demons at all! They all have resistances to physical damage, if not immunities!
> Well, tough shit.
I've had DMs like you, and they were fucking terrible.
>>
>>51577660
I gave one of my players in a high magic campaign the ability to forge demonic weapons from the essences of creatures he's slain.

Has to be something notable, and the quality of the essence needs to be high(Acquired through a nature check to identify and survival to harvest.) Or in the case of buying power, there's a merchant that always shows up that sells things like that as well. Not cheap, and she often overcharges, and she's actually a princess of hell, but I'm still waiting out how he deals with it.
>>
>>51577593
>underwhelming
Sleep is fucking AMAZING at lower levels, and whenever you fight a bunch of weak enemies. No save, no attack roll, they just fall asleep and are out of the fight. Of course after level 5 it becomes very situational, but prior to that it's a must have.
>>
>>51577463
I introduce a lot of NPCs that the party meets repeatedly/hangs out with, one of them is a half-orc diviner who became a wizard largely because everyone told him he couldn't. His life's goal is to find the ingredients to brew the perfect ale. The PCs enjoy what he provides, mostly his scrying and drinks.
>>
>>51577630
I've got a DM like you.
Being forced to fight endless amounts of vampires and werewolves without magic weapons or even silvered ones is great fun.

Fuck you for fucking people over.
>>
Hey does anyone have a pdf of the tome of beasts from kobold press?
>>
File: nothing personal.png (320KB, 733x597px) Image search: [Google]
nothing personal.png
320KB, 733x597px
>>51577611
>Adamant, Sword of
>Longsword, Requires Attunement
>+2 magical sword
>You learn Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade if you didn't already
>Once per Long Rest you may cast Misty Step. You have Advantage on your next attack with this weapon
>All fiends have Vulnerability to this weapon's damage

Stop making this so complicated. Just say you want a weeaboo sword.
>>
>>51577772
What a sad time we live in, when people are too lazy to even read the OP.
>>
>>51577779
>fiends
Aaand just realized I mixed up two posts. Sorry to drag you into this >>51577660
>>
>>51577623
Thank god.
Get that thing out of here, it's probably one of the worst things unless you modify it to balance it out.

>>51577660
That's not how I roll. Magic items are usually a bonus rather than something you quest for. Then, things that are resistant to martials might as well be resistant to a number of spells - Gaseous creature? It'll likely resist physical damage AND a lot of spells, but area effect spells (fireball) or specially designed weapons might affect it, though the wizard might not consider casting fireballs on it at first since it's a single lonely creature. Just because some holy wizard made your weapon doesn't make it automatically hit everything incorporeal.
Similarly, devils probably won't have non-magical weapon resistance unless they actually have something that confers it, they don't get it 'for being an otherworldly being' because fuck that, I can give them more health if I want to do that.

Some people get butthurt if you don't follow the MM exactly, though.
>>
>>51577790
Yes. Sad times.

Anyone got a pdf of the PHB? Or maybe the MM?
>>
File: halfing_rogue_by_staino.jpg (86KB, 600x757px) Image search: [Google]
halfing_rogue_by_staino.jpg
86KB, 600x757px
>>51577802
>Thank god.
>Get that thing out of here, it's probably one of the worst things unless you modify it to balance it out.
I had them draw the card when we started, but not look at it. I actually still have it, and I'm the only one who knows what they drew.

2 of Spades.
>>
>>51577790
My bad, am retarded, didn't see the third party folder
>>
Anyone know of any good official or non-official campaigns that are set around the events of baldurs gate 1 & 2?

I have a party that pretty much is obsessed with the game, and that's the only reason they want to do D&D at all
>>
>>51577724

How many hitpoints do a lot of enemies have at low levels for the games you're in? The weakest foes I'm facing tend to have double digits, and with an average roll of the 5d8, that doesn't result in a whole lot of effectiveness.
>>
>>51577887
> I want to shut down entire encounters with a single 1 level spell that's not even a concentration
Dat caster entitlement.
>>
>>51577611
Its literally nothing but ways to remove employees
>>
>>51577779
>>51577799
Ah no problem, desu I did consider giving the sword the GFB and Booming Blade Cantrips as the class has War Magic, and the player who's using it wants it to be the most weeb sword ever so i could give it misty step... maybe in its completed form... idk seems like a bit much tho.
>>
>>51577582
bump
>>
>>51577593
>>51577887
It's effectively a 5d8 damage that rolls over to other targets if there's too much of it, or 7d8 if cast at level 2. It has NO save and NO attack roll. Also good range.

Compared to chromatic orb which is 3d8 (up to 4d8 as a level 2 spell) that can miss.

The only issue is if enemies are sleep immune or wake each other up like they know what's going on.
>>
>>51577463
>tiefling bard
Anon...
>>
>>51577802
So what you are saying is that you are so incredibly adamant to never do magic weapons that you instead modify monsters to avoid them having resistances?

Who hurt you, anon?
>>
>>51577979
It took me two seconds on google, don't waste space in a general with a pointless bump.
>>
>>51577593
Use out of combat. Most townfolks have low hp.
>>
>>51578095
No, it's 'There is no catch-all magical weapon category'.

'Resistance to non-magical weapons' is not a thing, not because magical weapons don't exist, but because every magical weapon does not beat every problem.

Thus, the current system of 'Fighters need a magical weapon at some point and then they're golden for life' isn't a thing. Rather, the idea is the party prepares for dangers they have ahead by choosing whether they'll take these repellents that keep insects away or this bomb or that one holy sword that doesn't really like being used on anything that isn't clearly absolutely evil or the caster preparing suitable spells.
>>
>>51578167
Why do you hate martials so much?
>>
>>51578079

Unlike damage, however, it has no effect if it doesn't knock the person out.
>>
>>51578167
>but because every magical weapon does not beat every problem.
Shit mentality that should've died in previous editions.
>>
>>51577926
Wut?
>>
>>51578167
So basically, you're modifying the entirety of the monster manual on the fly because you dislike magical weapons.

Got it. I too yearn to fight werewolves with 600hp.

May I inquire as to why you're trying to make an already simple system even more simple?
Because if nothing has resistance, a party can literally just blow it the fuck up, so the idea of having to "prepare for dangers" goes out the window.

I'd've understood it more if you kept resistances but removed magical items completely, since I'm in a campaign much like that because my DM also fucking hates magical items for some reason.
Every combat turns into a super lethal slog despite stocking up on every type of utility you can, simply because nothing ever dies.
>>
I have a question. I'm playing a Bard, and so far all of my spells that allow a Saving Throw have been saved by basically every single monster we go up against, despite me having my charisma maxed out.

What ways are there to increase Spell Save DC in 5th edition? I know there were the Spell Focus feats in 3.5e, but 5e doesn't have any caster-centric feats aside from War Caster so that's right out. (Oh, and before you say it: I will be dipping Warlock for the extra blasting power and the ability to wield Robes of the Archmagi)
>>
>>51578267
I know that feel, anon, and I have bad news - I don't know of any way to increase your spell DC. You can increase your spell attack, however.
>>
>>51578193
What even is the point of having magical weapon resistance other than to say 'you can't have hirelings/guards help you because they have mundane weapons' if you, at some point, go from not ignoring the resistance to ignoring the resistance forevermore?

It's the way it is in 5e because they wanted simplicity that could apply to every game, but some people like having a few different tools to try out.

>>51578180
Oh, wow, I'm giving martials more options because I think it'd be fun. I must hate them.
Not saying that wizards couldn't find some level of specialized gear to use, too. I mean, for example, they have spellbooks and could add in custom spells found in ancient books somewhere.

>>51578186
And that's part of the reason why you use it at levels 1-4.

>>51578260
You're still not understanding.
The system currently is 'Wizards have to choose which type of damage to inflict whereas typically martials only get the one damage and are screwed if it doesn't work. At a certain level, martials are expected to have magical weapons and thus are no longer resisted as often.'

The way I'm suggesting is
'Wizards still have to choose damage type a bit. Martials can also choose somewhat (as, let's face it, bludgeoning/piercing/slashing right now very rarely matters unless it's skeletons or something) with specialized equipment.' which isn't exactly a previously unknown concept for 5e.
So if anything you should be criticising that I'm overcomplicating things.
>>
>>51578319
Well, fuck. Time to beg my DM for custom feats, I guess.
>>
>>51578341
Have you noticed that the entire thread believes that you're an autistic retard? Why do you think that is the case?
>>
>>51578267
What level are you at? Does your DM allow crafting your own magic item? If so, to steal from another campaign, how about a handcone that increases the DC of your spells by 2?
>>
>>51578341
>What even is the point of having magical weapon resistance other than to say 'you can't have hirelings/guards help you because they have mundane weapons' if you, at some point, go from not ignoring the resistance to ignoring the resistance forevermore?
Why is that not a good enough reason?
>>
>>51578267
Portent wizards to make enemies autofail, hoping for a bullshit magical item (the only one in the DMG is warlocks only, though you might find a +2 charisma item), levelling up, becoming something that grants disadvantage on saves sometimes (sorcerer) or just fucking giving up because you're not going to increase spell DC, this is 5e.

>>51578363
Because the only points people have made are completely the opposite of what's going on, I assume it's because nobody understands what I'm saying.
>>
>>51578341
>'Wizards still have to choose damage type a bit. Martials can also choose somewhat (as, let's face it, bludgeoning/piercing/slashing right now very rarely matters unless it's skeletons or something) with specialized equipment.'
So you've removed resistances and gone with even more complicated resistances?
Please enlighten me on how this doesn't fuck martials even more, since wizards can just cast save spells and be completely effective yet martials now have to carry around 3 different damage types?

Why do you hate martials?
Just try to think about this through the eyes of a player. You have to have the right mindset to even be up for having to deal with all that micromanaging and meticulous inventory management just to be moderately effective against damage sponges with increased health because you've "removed resistances" but basically added more resistances if you want to emphasize the availability and usage of slashing/piercing/blunt etc.

All I am seeing, as a current player atleast even though I normally DM, is that we're getting dicked on really fucking hard in the current iteration of that.
>>
>>51578376
It's a good enough reason for base 5e, but I don't like it. 5e already made a movement in the direction of 'you don't need magical items', yet they left this in. I can't help but feel a magical item that's just a +1 weapon that ignores magical weapon resistance is horribly, horribly boring, and exists only really as a stat on somebody's character sheet, and that something much more meaningful would be better. Even if it has a cool effect AND ignores magical resistance, that just feels boring when you're completely ignoring aspects of the game that should be there - You suddenly no longer have to think about things like 'Oh, we're fighting werewolves, maybe we'd be better off if we had the right tools for the job' but 'Oh, we have magical weapons, who cares.'
>>
>>51578375
I don't think he'd let me craft my own magic item, but he is willing to give out custom items. I started out, for instance, with a rapier that lets me use Bardic Inspiration as a free action whenever I attack or cast a cantrip (because the rapier is also a violin bow. That having been said, I really think that's kinda a shitty benefit to give me, considering Bardic Inspiration is already a Bonus Action. But hey, free fluffy magic item)

>>51578392
I am dipping two levels of Warlock, like I said, but if the item you're referring to is Rod of the Pact Keeper then not only is it Warlock-only, it's Warlock-SPELLS-only, thereby shafting multiclassers.

>>51578435
The solution isn't to remove magic weapons, it's to add more interesting magic weapons. A +1 Longsword is boring, sure. But a +1 Longsword of Werewolf Slaying that lets out a catlike hiss in the presence of anything furry? Same functionality, but a lot more fun.
>>
>>51578435
>I can't help but feel a magical item that's just a +1 weapon that ignores magical weapon resistance is horribly, horribly boring, and exists only really as a stat on somebody's character sheet
Well that's just like, your opinion man
>>
>>51578435
>I can't help but feel a magical item that's just a +1 weapon that ignores magical weapon resistance is horribly, horribly boring, and exists only really as a stat on somebody's character sheet, and that something much more meaningful would be better. Even if it has a cool effect AND ignores magical resistance, that just feels boring
There are multiple charts in the DMG that fix that problem.
>>
>>51578424
Players do not HAVE to take the right tools and carry them around all the time. If neither the martials nor the wizards prepare themselves, they'll both have a harder time. There can easily be creatures that have advantage on certain types of saves, so the wizard can't just resort to using save attacks. I can understand an arguement that's 'Well, wizards have so many different spells so their versatility would put them even further about fighters' but I couldn't understand 'Why should a player have more than one way of damaging things?'

Where exactly resistances are changed I haven't clearly defined, so it's completely plausible that creatures are exactly as tough on average before if I balance it correctly, the only difference is that I'm saying martials should have a chance of adapting to the situation just as much as casters.
>>
>>51578435
Again, as a player, finding a magical weapon is a lot more "fuck yeah" than you would seem to think.
Also, you'd just excacerbate the problem with removing all magical items.

Going an entire campaign without finding a single magical item as a martial is probably the worst fucking feeling in the world, because you're watching your wizard friends being insanely fucking good in every combat, yet you're slogging around trying to make yourself useful since combat is the only thing you CAN do as a martial, and you're essentially taking that away.
>>
Newest version of the Zen Archer, for those interested.

Arch all day, be Zen as fuck.
>>
File: calypso.jpg (112KB, 1700x1657px) Image search: [Google]
calypso.jpg
112KB, 1700x1657px
>Phlan got destroyed, captured, and recently finally reclaimed in Adventurers League
>One of the bigger conventions holds a democratic election for Phlan out of the blue
>This snowflake gets elected as Chancellor
just
>>
Alright, new question. What would you say would be a balanced custom feat to increase my Save DCs?
>>
>>51578570

The Resilient feat on page 168.
>>
>>51578486
>>51578472
>>51578465
Yes, making a +1 weapon with an additional effect is more fun, but it could be better if it was more looking at sidegrades - you could have a weapon out that deals more damage to things that're normally vulnerable to silver and makes a noise in the presence of fey creatures, or you could take out your weapon that works a lot better against small, gaseous, swarm or anything like that and has some other utility, or you could take out this other weapon.
Not just 'I have one sword that's the best, so I'll use that all the time.'
And if the player wants to just use the same sword anyway all the time, then sure. They might not be doing as well as if they thought more creatively, but they're not going to die because of it.

>>51578523
Well, the idea isn't to remove all magical items. It's to avoid magical items that have catch-all abilities that mean you have no thought with what you do.

It doesn't close the martial-wizard gap when you have a sword that does one cool thing, but there's no reason to use anything else whereas the wizard has an assortment of spells to choose from because they're all viable.
>>
File: middleearthlargelargerstill.jpg (1MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
middleearthlargelargerstill.jpg
1MB, 3200x2400px
Planning on running an Adventures in Middle Earth campaign. Any advice?
>>
>>51578601
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have my spellcasting stat maxed out.
>>
>>51578603
>Yes, making a +1 weapon with an additional effect is more fun, but it could be better if it was more looking at sidegrades - you could have a weapon out that deals more damage to things that're normally vulnerable to silver and makes a noise in the presence of fey creatures, or you could take out your weapon that works a lot better against small, gaseous, swarm or anything like that and has some other utility, or you could take out this other weapon.
If people cared/wanted that, it would be in the DMG already.
>>
>>51578570
Kill Yourself
When you select this feat, you realize that increasing save DCs is overpowered and you should neck yourself. Thus, your character kills themself. You die, and your soul is no longer willing to return to its body, and thus cannot be raised by any means. If forced to be raised, you will immediately try to kill yourself again unless stopped.

Tell your DM to stop being a dick if they have too many creatures with advantage to all saves or whatever.
>>
>>51577582
I actually got a deck of illusions on my warlock.

Question: It says until the card is moved, or dispelled.

The illusion can be 30 ft from the card.

So can I place the card somewhere, say in front of my hideout and keep the bandit illusions sitting in front of it forever?
>>
>>51578607
My main piece of advice for you would be to meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
>>
>>51578504
>There can easily be creatures that have advantage on certain types of saves
Not unless you actively change monsters yet again.
And that doesn't stop the wizard from just using another spell with a different save.

Again, you're plowing martials without lube and expecting them to like it?
What you are proposing is that the players have to carry around probably around 400lbs of random odds and ends, just to not get brutalized in a random encounter because it can be anything and you've removed the only failsafe card for being semi-useful.

>if I balance it correctly
Yeah, that's not happening. As much as you think it is, it's not.

>the only difference is that I'm saying martials should have a chance of adapting to the situation just as much as casters.
But why. Martials haven't got any real impact outside of combat, and you're making them have a CONSIDERABLY harder and more miserable time TRYING to make an impact in combat, and for what?
Because you think normal magical items are boring?

Meanwhile the wizard is zooming around with his 13 different spells with different saves, being the only useful character in each fight because he has tools for everything, while you are limiting the usefulness of martials.

Martials don't need to be nerfed like that, stop trying to go back to the 3e "Fuck Martials" mindset.

Or well, you can if you want to, but don't expect people to enjoy playing martials in your game.
I currently have a rogue I am playing that hasn't got a magical weapon, and I am completely and utterly useless in every single fight even with the massive toolbag of tricks I have with me.
You meet an undead with resistance?
Tough shit, you can get a flask of holy water for 100gp so you can do a whopping 2d6 damage while the Cleric annihilates them from existance.
>>
>>51578622
Ask the DM if you can apply the +1 elsewhere. There's no balance reason for them to say no.

Then, take the Resilient feat.
>>
>>51578603
>And if the player wants to just use the same sword anyway all the time, then sure. They might not be doing as well as if they thought more creatively, but they're not going to die because of it.

>Elderly paladin, last of his kin is going out for one last adventure in his twilight years
>longsword passed down for 9 generations in his hand.
>he knows this weapon like his own palm, he knows it will never fail him, he knows it is something he can rely upon
LOL JK M8 BETTER THINK CREATIVELY.
HEIRLOOM SWORD? MORE LIKE BADLOOM SWORD KEK BETTER TOSS THAT SHIT CUZ IT'S GARBO
>>
Is it a good idea to have a player's dead character return as an undead minion to a villain?
>>
>>51578603
>It doesn't close the martial-wizard gap when you have a sword that does one cool thing
But it doesn't make the gap worse either, like how you are proposing it should be handled.
>>
>>51578465
Free action Bardic Inspiration eh, are you a Valor bard or Lore Bard? You could take advantage of that if you pick up Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade. Hmm... besides the Hand Cone I can't think of any other way besides just getting lucky, or asking your DM if they are using a lot of monsters with advantage on all magic saves.

Oh, and how does this sound for a bard magic item?

An instrument that when used, makes your proficiency bonus becomes the minimum number you can roll on a bardic inspiration die.
>>
volunteered to DM at LGS

they only have 3 pm to 5-530 on sunday

2 hours isn't gonna work is it?
>>
>>51578715
Sounds pretty good.
>>
>>51578703
You could check with the player in question.
OR you could just go for it.

The former option will just make it an okay thing to do, nothing mindblowing since they know about it.
The latter will make them most likely hate the BBEG with the fury of a dying sun.

I've used the latter one and I prefer it vastly.
>>
>>51578715
I'm a Lore Bard, not Valor. The Hand Cone could work, now that I look at it, yeah. The Bard Instrument sounds like crap, though, unless you mistyped it.

Because the minimum number you can roll on a bardic inspiration die is always 1.
>>
Is a Paladin unoptimized if you aren't using PAM and GWF?
>>
>>51578646
If the wizard has the other spell with the other save prepared, that is. And it might not necessarily be a case of 'you need to use a different save', it might be 'Well, the creature has some sort of magical resistance that gives it advantage on saves, but there are things that can take away that resistance for a while if you use them.'
And the case is that you don't allow everyone to take 400 pounds of whatever. Players won't be brutalized completely if they don't have what they need for the occasional encounter that isn't something with more mundane stats, because they neither must fight everything nor will everything just have straight-up immunity to anything that isn't its weakness.

If you run a game that isn't focused on slaughtering literally every monster you see and you know what an overpowered monster looks like, then it doesn't matter if the monsters are a bit unbalanced. Players can run or try to avoid an encounter that seems hard (providing they can identify such a thing, realizing they don't have what they need to effectively take on a monster without wearing themselves out too much for the day and having to rest afterwards).

Stop with the 'martials will have less impact' deal. The fighter is in about the same position as before, with more options if they choose to use it. The wizard is in the same position as before, though they might get more options as well if they're lucky.
>>
>>51578749
I don't think you understand him anon, he's saying that any roll of less than your proficiency bonus would instead count as having rolled your proficiency bonus.
>>
>White room logic suggests paladins and bards are the strongest class
>Experience says fighters are fucking ridiculous
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>51578772
>The fighter is in about the same position as before, with more options if they choose to use it.
>if they choose to use it.
Oh fuck off, you're giving them more options and then forcing them to use them.
>>
>>51578646
>>51578772
And, for holy water, it's not a case of stupidity using the standard rules. It's more of a 'Okay, so this one creature will rise again later unless you spray holy water on it after killing it' case.

If you didn't have holy water, that's fine, just don't take too long or be prepared to fight it again.
If you do have holy water, congratulations, you've made life easier for yourself.

There's even a monster in the book that's like that with holy water, and that's the point. It's not against the intention of the monster manual, it's just developing the 'lol a load of things have resistance to weapons until everyone gets magical damage in which case it no longer matters' into something more interesting that doesn't fuck over characters because they didn't get a catch-all anti-resistance magical weapon.
>>
Repost from yesterday. Need help balancing a homebrew class for one of my players.

He made a pact with a spirit from the Fire Plane, basically the player himself is made of glass but the spirit does the fighting. The player can sacrifice his ability scores to level up the spirit.
>>
>>51578786
Oh! Yeah, okay, I see that now. That's a lot better than what I misread it to say. I like it, it helps reduce the chance of rolling a 1 on that Bardic Inspiration roll.
>>
>>51578792
Nothing. You just haven't seen the glory yet.
>>
>>51578792
Polearm Mastery GWF Oathbreaker Paladins > any other martial
>>
>>51578690
You can go play in a campaign where you play a champion that does nothing other than use the attack action every turn and just hit everything and complain if the DM ever has an enemy that has resistance to all physical damage. I mean, it might be relaxing not having to think.

>>51578709
How does giving martials more options make them worse?

>>51578802
I keep saying, they are not forced to use them, I'm not throwing in werewolves with immunity to everything but silver or some bullshit like that in.
It just might make life harder if you don't have the things, and in that case you can think of a different solution, because I don't believe in there being a single solution for anything.
>>
>>51578852
Paladins aren't "Martials"
>>
>>51578792
A fighter with PAM or GWM can be very strong at the lowest levels that get a lot of playtime.

A paladin without PAM or a bard might not be quite as strong at those levels.

Now, a properly built paladin who knows what he's doing is terrifying.
>>
>>51578880
Don't play stupid. You're penalizing martials for using the one magic weapon they have when it's not common for them to have more than 1 magic weapon at a time. Or are you going to change the rarity of magical weapons to compensate for your bullshit too?
>>
>>51578882
Nice meme
>>
>>51578772
>If the wizard has the other spell with the other save prepared, that is
Have you ever had a wizard player in any of your games?
Genuinely curious if you seem to think that a wizard won't load up on every sort of spell that forces a save that they can.

>If you run a game that isn't focused on slaughtering literally every monster you see and you know what an overpowered monster looks like, then it doesn't matter if the monsters are a bit unbalanced
What?
The monsters are already unbalanced, especially if you lack the equipment that tends to be the only thing saving your hide in those fights, i.e magical items which you seem to be so adamantly against.

>The fighter is in about the same position as before, with more options if they choose to use it
No, they don't have more options. They have to CHOOSE THE RIGHT OPTION instead of having a magical item which makes them useful in every fight. If they choose the wrong option in a fight, congratulations you've just made a player completely useless in the fight.

Why the fuck are you so insanely adamant on making life so much harder for martials when they already have a hard as fuck time unless they're an optimized paladin?

>>51578804
>If you do have holy water, congratulations, you've made life easier for yourself.
No. No I haven't. Everyone else in the party will be carrying around holy water aswell, the difference is that the holy water is the only way for my rogue to do any damage.

>the 'lol a load of things have resistance to weapons until everyone gets magical damage in which case it no longer matters' into something more interesting that doesn't fuck over characters because they didn't get a catch-all anti-resistance magical weapon.
But it does fuck over people, martials the most, which coincidentally also is the weakest class type. The entire thread thus far has been trying to tell you that, and the fact that if you run with this system any martial player will be fucking suicidal.
>>
>>51578928
Thanks, I made it myself.

For real tho, it's

>Full casters
>Half casters
>Martials
>KILL EVERYTHING-ers (Paladins)
>>
>>51578634
I have a magic item that increases my save DCs right now
does that make you upset?
>>
How good is a combat bard?
Also, are monks shit again? Cause I loved them in 4e, and I'll be sad if they're shit again
>>
>>51578936
To be fair, playing a martial in any D&D is asking to get fucked.

>b but 4E

Literally so many powers stapled to them that they might as well been gishes.
>>
Is it just me, or are there a lot less spell slots in 5e than in previous editions? Do people really feel that cantrips make up for the relative lack of spell slots?
>>
>>51578972
Monks don't deal damage but they're very mobile and they can stun enemies they hit.
>>
>>51578972
Lore Bard is godlike. Valor, aka Combat Bard, is ehhh. No point in not being Casterbard in this edition.

Also yes, Monks are shit again.
>>
>>51578991
There are less, and that was a deliberate means of reining in caster power.
>>
>>51578880
>You can go play in a campaign where you play a champion that does nothing other than use the attack action every turn and just hit everything and complain if the DM ever has an enemy that has resistance to all physical damage. I mean, it might be relaxing not having to think.
Not that guy, but that is usually fixed by having actual magical items. You know, like all campaigns have?
Martials are the only ones that care about magical melee weapons, hence they get them first, hence they never run into the problem of having to bitch about resistances.

Also I have to agree with the saltlord that posted that, having a character revolve around his pact weapon for example or an ancient heirloom from his family being made invalid would make me incredibly bitter.

>How does giving martials more options make them worse?
Because you're making them choose between different options and penalizing them for choosing wrong on top of it being a very weak type of character in the first place compared to casters in general.

There is a reason why pure martials are never above tier 2 and casters are consistantly "god tier", because they've got incredible amounts of utility that they can just churn out each round and BE EFFECTIVE REGARDLESS OF THE CHOICE OF SPELL.
>>
>>51578991
Yes.

It makes wizards able to do magical things all the time without being gods.

It also means the spellcaster doesn't have to tote a crossbow everywhere for some inane reason.
>>
>>51578991
I've never played the previous editions but it sure does feel like rest based resources are a cancer that needs to be expunged.
>>
>>51579002
What makes Lore Bard better than any of the others?
>>
>>51578975
Agreed, but it doesn't mean that you should actively fuck them in the ass even more by doing what that guy is proposing.

>>51579005
I mean, didn't really change much though at higher levels.
>>
>>51578991
Less slots, save or dies are gone, meta magic is gone (sorcerers are a meme fuck off), durations are shorter and Concentration got fucked.

STILL T1 BABY
>>
>>51578995
>>51579002
Lame
So would rogue be better if I wanted to be a swashbuckling asshole?
>>
>>51578924
What penalty are they getting?
If enemies with resistance to everything they have are just as common as before, then there isn't any overall change.
If enemies with resistance to standard things are just as common as enemies with resistance that previously would have covered everything they have, then by using another option the fighter might actually do better than they did before

Then, at later levels where fighters might not expect to have anything much resist them, it may be a case that as often as the fighters get impeded by resistances the wizards might also get impeded by resistances.

>>51578936
You keep saying over and over 'You've made the player useless because they didn't choose the right option!'
They don't become useless.
They can
A) Try to think of another solution (Fights are not fucking static). They could avoid the monster and close the door behind them, try to lure it out and trap it before running past, whatever,
B) Suck it up and continue anyway maybe doing half damage and they're still relevant.
C) Find a way to fix the fact they chose the wrong solution and try the right solution.

Save spells aren't that super-reliable, you know.
Most of my experiences with wizard players I'm probably better off not speaking about. Played in a lot of rather casual campaigns. Had more divine casters in my games, and they had uses for spells out of combat anyway, too, so they do need to keep some spells for non-combat things.
>>
>>51578607
>>51578645
Any other advice? I'm very much a Tolkien fan and I like the way the Adventures in Middle-earth system looks, but I'm totally stumped on how to run a campaign in it.
>>
>>51579031
He gets to cherrypick spells from everyone else's lists at HIS level, meaning you can steal Paladin and Ranger spells earlier than Paladins and Rangers would even get them.

And he has armor and weapon proficiencies.

And lots of good skills.

Bard is finally a Final Fantasy Red Mage and it's fucking great.
>>
>>51579039
Fighter, honestly. You can be a beastly dex fighter now. Rogues are more backstabby than swashbuckley.
>>
>>51579064
>then by using another option the fighter might actually do better than they did before
Unless they pick the wrong option or, heaven forbid, not even have the right option available in the first place because MAGIC ITEMS AREN'T COMMON ANYMORE YOU MOUTHBREATHING TWAT

>Then, at later levels where fighters might not expect to have anything much resist them, it may be a case that as often as the fighters get impeded by resistances the wizards might also get impeded by resistances.
Oh, so you're going to fuck them even more because you think they need to be nerfed?
>>
>>51579039
There's literally an archetype called Swashbuckler rogue.
>>
>>51579064
>A) Try to think of another solution (Fights are not fucking static). They could avoid the monster and close the door behind them, try to lure it out and trap it before running past, whatever,
>B) Suck it up and continue anyway maybe doing half damage and they're still relevant.
>C) Find a way to fix the fact they chose the wrong solution and try the right solution.

Which is still making them useless in the fight and actively penalizing them for playing a martial in the first place.
>Save spells aren't that super-reliable, you know
Lel. I mean clearly you haven't, really, played with a decent wizard.

What you seem to absolutely fail to understand is that you're shitting on martials. "More options" doesn't equal "more useful" and I am putting some heavy quotation marks into "more options" because it really isn't. It's "choose one option or be fucked".

Meanwhile you've done absolutely nothing to the casters whom require no magical items to actively fuck any mob and make them their bitch, and instead dicked on martials.

I legitimately cannot fathom how you are thinking that this is a good idea, and I am genuinely glad that I am not a player in one of your campaigns because it honestly is a terrible fucking idea.
If you want more interesting magical items, make more interesting magical items. End of story, because you're trying to "make martials fun and interesting" but you're just shitting on the delicate balance that is the class system. Some classes are DEPENDANT on magical items, most of those being martials.
>>
>>51579018
Well, the idea isn't that the weapon would be made invalid all the time. They can use it most of the time if they'd like, and even in the other occasions it wouldn't be entirely useless. It'd just be encouragement for them to try something else sometimes.

A lot of magical items in campaigns really don't seem to be incredibly thought-provoking. The most interesting ones seem to be the sentient ones, and that's more because they can say 'Hey, fuck you, stop killing elves. I hate you, I'm not helping you anymore.'
So they have the option once a day to deal extra damage? Sure, that's all fine and dandy and I'm sure the player will be happy, but I think a player would be happier if they think 'You know, I think my standard way of doing things isn't working out, it seems to resist it a bit, so I'll try using this consumable' and it turns out to be super effective.

Even now spells have different damage types, area of effects or different saves, and each of these works completely differently for each monster. Sure, chances are it won't be completely ineffective, but the fighter won't be made completely ineffective for refusing to change weapons or use some utility item they found either.

I'm not penalizing them for choosing wrong, only rewarding them for choosing right, relative to how they are normally.
>>
>>51578356
I feel you Anon. My wizard couldn't hit shit despite max INT, but then we found those stat-boosting tomes from killing a super buff wizard so now we can all hit stuff really well
>>
File: hard mode.jpg (684KB, 2134x2705px) Image search: [Google]
hard mode.jpg
684KB, 2134x2705px
>>51579018
>Martials are the only ones that care about magical melee weapons, hence they get them first, hence they never run into the problem of having to bitch about resistances.
>mfw I keep playing martials and my GMs all keep giving me a magic dagger+0 or something equivalent and then hanging me out to dry
i just want a sword holy shit
I haven't been following this debate chain at all but if that guy is suggesting a way for martials to bypass resistance other than praying that the GM will have mercy and deign to grace you with a magic sword I would be completely down for that.
>>
>>51579161
>I'm not penalizing them for choosing wrong, only rewarding them for choosing right, relative to how they are normally.
Except that baseline they'd get that reward for using any magical weapon so you're just penalizing them for choosing wrong.
>>
>>51579136
I didn't see that in the PH, whats it in?
>>
Hey guys, planning out a campaign with a Knoll Packlord as an antagonist

I was thinking of making him a mix of a typically packlord and a Fang of Yeenoghu

I was just hoping for some flavor and how he should act and stuff like that
>>
>>51579181
Be a Paladin. Acquire Elemental Weapon.
>>
>>51579039
Do not listen to >>51579104
He lies. Go swashbuckler rogue. Fighters are just autoattack machines with no mobility and garbage skill checks.
>>
>>51579208
It's in the Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide. The pdf is in the mega in the OP.
>>
>>51578267
To mitigate this you need spells targeting different saves, and target the monsters weak save. Easier said than done.
>>
>>51579208
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Rogue,Swashbuckler
>>
>>51579105
I'm not saying magical items aren't entirely common, it's just magical items that do things like 'will beat 80% of all resistances and also does more damage and more hit and more damage' are less common.

And for the last time, if they pick the wrong option, then either they would've been fucked normally because another campaign might have a devil that's resistant to non-magical weapons or if it's at the point where you'd expect them to have magical weapons then perhaps it might actually be a case that the monster is just a little tougher than usual but they'd get bonus damage if they chose a different route.

I can't promise to get the balance exactly right, but then can anyone on any campaign promise the same when they're planning encounters? Say, I've seen yetis, but then it turns out that they have vulnerability to fire damage, and the wizards are rolling in glee. But what if it's a werewolf like monster that takes more damage from silver weapons?
>>
>>51579161
>A lot of magical items in campaigns really don't seem to be incredibly thought-provoking.
THEN MAKE THEM INTERESTING INSTEAD OF FUCKING OVER AN ENTIRE CLASS OF PLAYERS.
FUCK.
Look, I am sorry for going off the hinge but holy shit just take the easier route to save the sanity of your martial players.

>Even now spells have different damage types, area of effects or different saves, and each of these works completely differently for each monster
You can literally remove the first two parts there and just say "different saves". Which matters fuckall because the wizard will have a shitton of different spells with different saves.

>You know, I think my standard way of doing things isn't working out, it seems to resist it a bit, so I'll try using this consumable' and it turns out to be super effective.
This will never, ever work out in practice, so don't come crying to /tg/ over how "dumb" your players are when you're basically fucking the system.
> but the fighter won't be made completely ineffective for refusing to change weapons or use some utility item they found either.
But you are making him ineffective for choosing to use a weapon that is very personal and important to him. Just what in the fuck, dude.

>I haven't been following this debate chain at all but if that guy is suggesting a way for martials to bypass resistance other than praying that the GM will have mercy and deign to grace you with a magic sword I would be completely down for that.
What he's saying is basically that you take a crapshoot as to which damage type he is resistant to because as a martial you have shit knowledge skills, and you have a 33% chance to be maybe effective while the wizards blow you out of the water even more now.
>>
>>51579221
>>51579255
>>51579225
Thanks
>>
>>51579303
Consider Booming Blade. Its synergizes well with Swashbuckler.
>>
>>51579265
>And for the last time, if they pick the wrong option, then either they would've been fucked normally because another campaign might have a devil that's resistant to non-magical weapons
Well, no, because by the time you run into monsters with resistances, you've usually found one or two magical items.
Which will go to the martials.

You've literally just, by your own accord, actively dicked on martials.
>>
>>51579159
I just don't think there's any understanding here, and that if I continue I'm not going to make any understanding.

If I said,
'Okay, it's the same as before, but generally monsters are a slight bit tougher. However, I've added more vulnerabilites which many martials can exploit. However, martials might have to face the fact that sometimes monsters might be resistant on occasions to what they're trying to do, much like how wizards might sometimes be, but even a dumb player will probably make up for that with the vulnerabilities from time to time'.
And not exactly 'you deal 2x damage' vulnerabilities.

Now does that make sense?
>>
>>51579265
>And for the last time, if they pick the wrong option, then either they would've been fucked normally because another campaign might have a devil that's resistant to non-magical weapons or if it's at the point where you'd expect them to have magical weapons then perhaps it might actually be a case that the monster is just a little tougher than usual but they'd get bonus damage if they chose a different route.
What the fuck are you even saying.
>a devil that's resistant to non-magical weapons
Use a magic weapon, problem solved.
>the monster is just a little tougher than usual but they'd get bonus damage if they chose a different route.
Already solved by elemental resistances and magical weapons that do bonus elemental damage.

Did you even read the DMG you fucking troglodyte? There are plenty of magic weapons that are better for slaying some things than others.
>>
>>51579332
Actually, on second thought, I don't even need that 'monsters are slight bit tougher' clause.

And that'd be campaign dependent anyway.
>>
>>51579332
>'Okay, it's the same as before, but generally monsters are a slight bit tougher. However, I've added more vulnerabilites which many martials can exploit. However, martials might have to face the fact that sometimes monsters might be resistant on occasions to what they're trying to do, much like how wizards might sometimes be, but even a dumb player will probably make up for that with the vulnerabilities from time to time'.
That is overly complex and adds nothing to the game.
>>
>>51578570
>I want an easy mode.
Control spell master : all hostile creatures fail any saving throw made against your spell save DC.
Go get them kid.
>>
>>51579365
>overly complex and adds nothing to the game

Why don't we just remove vulnerabilities and resistances entirely, then? Because that's basically what it is.
>>
>>51579332
You've been making sense since the start, it's just that it's a literally fucking retarded idea that the entire thread has been trying to point out to you but you're apparently thicker than a redwood.
The ONLY THING you are achieving with this, is dicking over all martials. That is the ONLY THING. Oh and maybe satisfy your backwards fucking logic by being bored with normal magical items so you remove them completely and dick over and entire type of playerbase on a whim.

The job of a DM is to make a game fun. That is your job.
What you are doing now, is making the game into a chore and reinforcing the feeling of playing a martial being a giant fucking mistake.
>>
>>51579403
Go right ahead, that would be less retarded than what you're proposing.
>>
>>51578962
Yes. But if it's a warlock item, then that's not so bad, because warlocks can't abuse it quite asjavascript:; much.
>>
>>51578962
Kek I hadn't read this
>I am in easy mode
>I want baby mode
>>
>>51579403
No, your way is literally just shitting on martials despite them working fine before your "change". That's the only thing that it is.
The fact that you seemingly cannot understand this is monumentally fucking perplexing.
>>
>>51579403
If that removes your insane witch hunt for martials then by all fucking means, do that.
Atleast it doesn't actively punish a player for wanting to have fun with a fucking martial character, since I don't think he was signing up for "spreadsheet and RNG to be useful: the fucking game".
>>
>>51578760
Just do want you want. A paladin will always be strong/useful.
>>
>>51579414
But that's exactly what I've been proposing.
I can admit I might have been wording it poorly the entire time because I wasn't 100% sure how to balance it out, but it was basically just a question of 'Just balance things so casters are just as good and martials are normally just as good, but a thoughtful martial is better'

>>51579414
>>51579433
>Martials sometimes deal more damage because even the sword that dumb player uses all the time will be useful sometimes
>Martials sometimes deal less damage because previously they could ignore a lot of resistances
>These two cancel out
>Martials might have more options than just use +3 magical weapon all the time, and using these options will make them deal more damage
>You're just shitting on martials.
What?
>>
>>51579428
I'm not the guy who asked about a feat I just noticed your post was pretty autistic.
>>
>>51579452
It's a case of any good adventure that players are rewarded for doing things right. A spreadsheet won't tell them what to do. A bit of logic, perhaps an int check and a little trial and error will tell them what works.

The only thing to question is whether one does this correctly or doesn't do it correctly, but then it's possible to do things incorrectly before anyway by not giving martials magic items they needed or giving them too powerful items.
>>
>>51579474
You fucking idiot, people don't play martials because they want to think. People play martials because they want to hit things and unleash bantz upon friend and foe alike.
>>
>>51579474
>But that's exactly what I've been proposing.
That isn't what you've been proposing, what the actual fuck?
Do you even READ what you are typing?
What you are basically proposing is that you give martials the illusion of a choice, because only one of the choices is the right one. If they fuck up then they're completely fucked and useless.
In what fucked up state of mind do you think that this is a good idea, to a class type that is already considered a fucking joke by the community?

>What?
Please let me know if you've been diagnosed with autism or aspergers, because at this point I am genuinely at my wits end. This isn't even meant to be offensive, I am genuinely curious.
>>
>>51578530
Dats a lotta d4s for spiritual lance. What was wrong with d10s?

>>51578811
So it's a full caster with a martial pet? Sounds quite strong, but it's your game.

Also if you make it look pretty with homebrewery ( homebrewery.naturalcrit.com ) it's more likely to be at least glanced over. People are shallow and petty.
>>
How can I get the most out of a trickery cleric?
Seems like most people say you need to multiclass.
>>
>>51579524
>A spreadsheet won't tell them what to do
If they've encountered the monster even once, it will be added to a spreadsheet and after that it's completely needless complexity since they already know exactly what to do.
>A bit of logic, perhaps an int check
Logic in a game where wizards can make demi-planes filled with genitals and cloud kill a kingdom.
Also, int checks on classes that dumps int.

>It's a case of any good adventure that players are rewarded for doing things right
No, it's a system that rewards players for playing how you want them to play, and punishes those that doesn't feel like carrying around 3 different weapons and 8 different flasks of substances just to ATTEMPT to be moderately useful in a fight, whereas the wizard can just fucking laugh his way into godhood.

>but then it's possible to do things incorrectly before anyway by not giving martials magic items they needed or giving them too powerful items.
Which can be immediately fixed by just giving them a magical weapon when you start finding monsters with resistances. Problem solved, everything is fine without trying to dick on martials or make the game into spreadsheet simulator, more than it already is.
You can literally make the sword not even be a +1, but to do moderately more damage against sapient plants or some shit, and you've STILL solved the problem because it is magical and it doesn't inflate their power.

Are you actually retarded or are you just trolling at this point? Can't actually tell.
>>
>>51579525
And I can respect this statement. This is actually a good point.

So, to deal with that, the idea is that they don't have to think to be as useful as before. They can pick up the first most powerful weapon they see and the situational benefits of using that weapon will still be enough to negate the fact that sometimes their attacks are resisted. It's just not as great as if they swapped items sometimes.

>>51579540
>Because only one of the choices is the right one.
It's not always like that. Sometimes the right choice is not to even fight, yet another right choice is to use that weapon, or another right choice is to use that consumable item, or another right choice is to try to ambush the enemy by sneaking.
>if they fuck up then they're completely fucked
Not doing the utmost best damage for the exact situation is being completely fucked? I don't think so.

The is just as frustrating for me because I've been saying things like 'no, an enemy isn't going to have outright immunity to everything aside from, say, cats' over and over, and yet I still see
>but if they don't choose the right choice they're useless
and
>but then there's only one correct choice
Over and over.
>>
>>51579474
>'Just balance things so casters are just as good and martials are normally just as good, but a thoughtful martial is better'
Then
Here's what to do
No, really
Hear me out
For real
I'm serious
This is what you should do
Ready?
I'm ready
Here we go
Right now
This is it

Magic weapons?
Change nothing
Add an additional SMALL vulnerability for different physical damage types
Its still not even that good, but its miles ahead of anything you've vomited
It sure as hell ain't what you've been proposing this entire fucking time
>>
>>51578760
Paladins outclass every other martial in overall effectiveness. A barbarian is tankier, a monk is more mobile, a fighter might have slightly higher burst when he's placed in a white box at 20th level with GWM where he's not able to miss any of his 9 attacks, but a Paladin has the overall best package on top of healing spells. The only thing they can't do effectively is fight at range since Smite is melee only.
>>
>>51579562
The d10's scaled poorly, turned out. When compared to the Sun Soul monk's Searing Sunburst, it either did too little or too much damage, depending on how much ki was spent.

It may be a handful of d4's, but the damage ends up being more consistent and scales much better.

Personally, I actually enjoy hurling handfuls of painful spike-dice at the table. It fits the feeling of magical archery quite nicely.
>>
>>51577463
I like how the dragons in Dark Souls have legendary weapons hidden within their tails

What's a good mechanic for trying to cut a dragon's tail? I was considering giving it cover bonuses to AC and a certain amount of the dragon's HP you'd have to hit to cut the tail off.
>>
>>51579614
>They can pick up the first most powerful weapon they see and the situational benefits of using that weapon will still be enough to negate the fact that sometimes their attacks are resisted. It's just not as great as if they swapped items sometimes.
>resisted
No you fucking idiot. There doesn't need to be anymore resistance bullshit. All you needs is to have some weapons do bonus damage to some things, which, surprise sur-fucking-prise, we already have.
>>
File: fire_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg (137KB, 827x1169px) Image search: [Google]
fire_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg
137KB, 827x1169px
>>51579562
Thanks for the link, I thought everyone made their pdf's using photoshop, now I can be pretty too.

My intention wasn't to make the class a full caster, I used less spell slots but honestly I have zero experience playing casters (only played martials myself. Currently I'm the DM and my group has only ever made it to level 8 in the past).
General idea of the class is he has a little spellcasting (ability to draw from the spirit realms), but I don't want him to be on the same level as a Sorcerer. The pet is basically a full martial though.
This is my first homebrew so I need help balancing so the player himself is weak but his pet is strong.
>>
>>51579635
Fighters are better at range with fantasy pistol
>>
>>51579523
So you decided to make an even more autistic one?
>>
>>51579614
>Not doing the utmost best damage for the exact situation is being completely fucked? I don't think so.
In a system where monsters are balanced around a party doing full damage, yes they are being useless.
Which is what people have been trying to tell you this entire fucking thread. You are making martials worse, because you are only focusing on them and not on spellcasters at all, or rebalancing mobs outside of "lolpseudoresistances".

You really are genuinely making martials play the "I have a 33% chance to be useful this fight" because if you have even one or two full spellcasters in the party, the fight will be over before the martial can try something else, which also means that they will never learn by "trial and error" which you seem to be shipping like a shill aswell.

The entire thread is trying to tell you that the idea is retarded and you are fucking retarded, I think this might be a sign of something.
>>
>>51579635

One thing to note about paladins is their resources deplete rapidly. Divine Smite eats at your spell slots, and if you're playing maximum-burst, you're going to want to use spell-based smites along with your Divine Smite, consuming two of your half-caster spell slots per turn.

Now, while that's great for absolutely wrecking fools, those spell slots only come back with a long rest. Most core fighter options (not including the Eldritch Knight) regen their resources every short rest. The Champion, boring as it is, doesn't even HAVE resources beyond its Action Surges.

Paladins have more tools in the box and access to healing spells, sure, but fighters are more consistent damage across the board, especially if your DM is the type that really likes to space out your rests.
>>
>>51579611
>It will be added to a spreadsheet
Or, uhh, they could just remember what worked well last time and do it again? And if they expect to face a lot of that enemy, then they can stock up on those supplies. They don't need to record it on a spreadsheet.

>Int checks on classes that dumps int
It's called teamwork. The wizard recommends the fighter to try something silver, maybe. You don't necessarily need a good int check, sometimes there'll be clues otherwise. Say, the beast is sealed away by silver bars because it's vulnerable to silver.

>A system that rewards players for playing hwo you want them to play
This is exactly what resistance and vulnerability is.
You reward people for casting fire spells on the yeti already. Are you saying we should remove that?

>Punished for those who don't carry around 3 different weapons
Well, what else were they going to carry, bombs? If they took bombs, then maybe they'll be rewarded for that when they need to blow something open.

>can immediately be fixed by just giving them a magical weapon
Sure, but at least I've seen and experienced myself that it's a lot more fun to try something interesting like 'Okay, since the enemy is a water elemental, why don't we try to drain its pool?' than 'Okay, we walk up and whack the water elemental with the magical sword. Nothing resists it, so this is a good tactic.' I'm pretty sure others agree with me on that, even if you don't.
>>
>Sent to investigate lack of comunication from a fortress in the mountains
>A wall of force keeping in a small horde of zombies when we get there, but there's a small tunnel under it
>Fighter and Ranger refuse to go in despite the sparseness
>Fucking wood dude rogue books it through the tunnel, all I can do is burninate a single zombie with Fire Bolt before the Fighter grabs me and tosses my Wizard ass over his shoulder and starts heading back to town

This is my fourth fucking session. We're level 2.
>>
>>51579715
>'Okay, since the enemy is a water elemental, why don't we try to drain its pool?'
That's fucking retarded.
>Okay, since the enemy is made of meat, why don't we try to empty his larder?
>>
>>51579714
I only ever see parties short resting once in an adventuring day, if they stop to rest at all. Short rest dependent classes tend to run out and then just stay out while spell slot represent a bigger pool.
I don't think I've seen a party rest two times in a day in all the time I've been playing 5e.
>>51579697
Yeah fighters are probably the best class to use ranged weapons with right now.
>>
>>51579736
>This is my fourth fucking session. We're level 2.
That sucks.

Always seemed to me first couple sessions should get you to level 3, as levels 1-3 are basically RP and feeling out the party/setting the stage for the adventure.

Some people like running lots of low level games though. I don't really see the appeal as a DM or a player. As a DM I like my players to have more options so I can throw more cool shit at them without worrying whether or not they're just gonna die.
>>
>>51579657
>legendary
more like scrubs weapons

You can make a medium/small target (5'x5') fixed behind the dragon, with it's own AC (can be hard to hit the tail for some DS bosses) and hp maximum, but dalage taken by the tail is also taken by the dragon hp. When the tail 'dies' you have a weapon.
>>
>>51579692
>I used less spell slots
My bad, I just read the bottom row. 4-3-3-3-3-2-2-1-1 is full caster so I assumed the rest was the same too.

If you don't want it to be a full caster you could copy half caster spell slots (eg: ranger, paladin) but then give them a way to regenerate spell slots on a short rest so they can use their spells more often.

And/or you could have a mechanic that encourages them to use their spell slots on something other than spells (paladin style) like buffing their pet. idk
>>
>>51579715
>Or, uhh, they could just remember what worked well last time and do it again?
Or just write it up on a spreadsheet and never have to try to remember or think about it ever again. This is what you are advocating.

>It's called teamwork.
It's called shitting on classes that uses int as a dump stat. Which is every class besides wizard.
What happens if you don't have a wizard or a full spellcaster at all?
Yeah, thought so.

>This is exactly what resistance and vulnerability is.
No, resistance and vulnurability is bypassed by magical weapons. It works completely fine if you're not a fucking retarded DM. Oh wait, you're removing magical weapons, lel okay.

>You reward people for casting fire spells on the yeti already. Are you saying we should remove that?
Well, looking at your previous post saying that all you're trying to do with your retarded fucking idea is to remove resistances and vulnurabilites then yes, then that is what YOU are saying.

>Well, what else were they going to carry, bombs?
How about just one weapon and focusing on actually improving with that weapon and forming a reliance, a bond with that weapon?
You know, having ACTUAL character depth regarding weapons and giving weapons any form of worth outside of being a tool, you fucking tool?
>Sure, but at least I've seen and experienced myself that it's a lot more fun to try something interesting like 'Okay, since the enemy is a water elemental, why don't we try to drain its pool?'
THEN IF THEY WANT TO TRY THAT, LET THEM TRY THAT.
YOU DON'T NEED TO LITERALLY FUCK THE ENTIRE SYSTEM TO ENFORCE RULES THAT ARE ALREADY USUALLY DONE BY JUST RP.

Just what in the actual fuck.
>I'm pretty sure others agree with me on that
The entire thread has been calling you fucking retarded, and not once have you ever used this example either, because you know what?
This is something you can do regardless of having magical weapons or not.
You know why?
Because this is a roleplaying system.
>>
>>51579703
I think there's only misunderstandings.

Misunderstandings like

>I have a 33% chance to be useful this fight

What the hell?
Do you think players are going to constantly fight completely abnormal beings 100% of the time?

This entire time I've just been talking about essentially trying to emphasise monster resistances and vulnerabilities so there's less of a 'walk up and hit everything and then move on' mentality, but I think people keep grossly overstating what's going on.

>>51579758
Are you calling the monster manual retarded?
Because that's a legitimate way to defeat a water weird.
>>
>>51579860
>Do you think players are going to constantly fight completely abnormal beings 100% of the time?
Yes, or at least most of the time. What kind of campaigns do you run where they don't? Political intrigue bullshit?
>>
>>51579782
>I don't think I've seen a party rest two times in a day in all the time I've been playing 5e.

The assumption made is about 3 short rests per adventuring day, one after every 2-3 combat encounters.

Sounds like you're seeing a different DMing style than the game is balanced for. Which is fine, just know that a lack of rests is affecting how useful certain classes are in your particular game.
>>
>>51579860
>Do you think players are going to constantly fight completely abnormal beings 100% of the time
80% of the MM above level 6 are creatures with resistances.
Unless you actively remake monsters on the fly to remove their resistances, it will be ye olde 33% chance diceroll to be effective or not.

Again, why the fuck are you still clinging to this retarded idea when the entire thread has been saying that it's a retarded idea?
Why not just make magic items interesting since you seem to dislike them?

Also what that other anon above me posted;
">I'm pretty sure others agree with me on that
The entire thread has been calling you fucking retarded, and not once have you ever used this example either, because you know what?
This is something you can do regardless of having magical weapons or not.
You know why?
Because this is a roleplaying system."
>>
>>51579800
The Rogue is now about to be physically restrained by about 40 people. Instead of just booking it to leave the place, he instead tried to hide in one of the huts in the castle.
>>
>>51579814
Would you mind checking out the stats for the Fire Spirit included in my pdf? Does that seem overpowered as well?
>>
File: 1465003239095.jpg (6KB, 177x140px) Image search: [Google]
1465003239095.jpg
6KB, 177x140px
>do errands and favors for the villagers and town guard, etc
>eventually be asked to take on a discreet quest for a local duke
>scouts say the king's private hunting lodge up in the mountains has been taken over by a dark cult worshipping a great old one
>he wants them cleared out before the king shows up and tears him a new one for letting a bunch of dirty peasants live in his tower
>the duke provides the party with a case full of potions that will help them resist the old ones' mind fuckery, with instructions to drink them before they approach the tower

but here's the "twist": there's no cult, it's the king himself staying in the tower, along with his family and a small detachment of guards

the duke is really a disciple of a lich the king slew a long time ago, seeking revenge, etc

the potion makes the party see the royal guards as skeletons/ghouls/whatever, the king's family as hooded rotting cultists, etc.

provided I give the party plenty of attempts to break the potion's illusion, does this sound alright? how would you, as a player, feel about something like this
>>
>>51579809
>scrub weapons

I know you aint shittin' on the MLGS nigga

And that seems like a good idea. Can use more medium targets for tails that are longer. Could even use the mechanic for tentacles or other long limbs
>>
I got some help with these a little while back from you guys, maybe someone else may find some use with them in their campaign as well!
>>
>>51579818
>This is what you are advocating
So, you're about to fight a bunch of creatures that skulk a lot and are really irritating due to their stealthy and ambush tendencies, the party has been hinted there'll be some but nobody's thinking, because they have it all on a spreadsheet. No need to think about it, right?
They get there, and then they check the spreadsheet. And then they realize they have nothing to flush or lure the creatures out, or they don't have enough of it.
Putting things down on a spreadsheet just helps memory which you could write stuff on a notepad anyway, but actually thinking is part of D&D sometimes.

>What happens if you don't have a wizard?
Then you try the int check anyway, and you might succeed. If you don't succeed? Guess. Maybe try something. If you face the problem shown above, you could try finding an alternative way to get around the skulking monsters, maybe the monk can try running as fast as they can and see if they all tail him or they can try to mimic the monsters' cry, or something.

Not all resistance is bypassed by magical weapons, and I've said before that I'm not removing magical weapons, just having them be less general.

I also don't understand how you think I could be advocating to remove resistances and vulnerabilities AND add them in, because honestly this is becoming a clusterfuck. I don't care if I seem retarded, because I'm seeing people making at least as many contradictions as I'm being called out for.
>>
>>51579800
Different anon, but...
For whatever reason I absolutely adore low levels in a lot of games, tabletop or vidya. There's something about playing a survivalist style in a non-survival game that really gets my juices flowing. I do like mechanical improvement too, so maybe I'm also drawn to the time where I have the most potential.
>>
>>51579888
No, there are still times when we go into deep dungeons and bulldoze our way past 10 separate encounters. What I'm seeing is that nobody wants to take a short rest ever in the middle of a dungeon because it takes an entire hour and who the fuck is going to sit down for an entire hour while they're killing things? They'll barely sit down for 10 minutes even.
Rather than short rest when the party is out of short rest resources, the party will only short rest when everyone is bloody, exhausted, and on the verge of death with NO healing available because the divine casters used most of their spell slots healing our HP up after the previous encounters so we could skip taking short rests.
>>
>>51579927
>>51579800
>>51579736
Updato.

The Rogue just got murdered by 40+ crazy half-starved people.
>>
>>51579944
Standard-fare DM dickery, don't worry about it.

Just be sure to let them use Insight on the noble to figure out something's up, Arcana/Alchemist's tools to identify something wrong with the potions, and Insight again to detect the non-zombie-like behavior of the royal guards and king.

You can even make those rolls in secret, as long as you can tell the party with honesty they were made.
>>
>>51579996
>And then they realize they have nothing to flush or lure the creatures out
If they've encountered it before, it's on the spreadsheet. If it's on the spreadsheet, they already have a way of getting it out.

This is what you're advocating.

>Then you try the int check anyway, and you might succeed. If you don't succeed? Guess.
So not only are you enforcing the "33% chance to get good", you are also giving them a fucking RNG guess based on nothing to combat monsters?
If they get it right, fantastic it ends up on the spreadsheet.
If they get it wrong, fantastic you've fucked your entire group because of your autism.

Are you ACTUALLY fucking retarded?
Literally, what the actual fuck are you even trying to convey here because it is getting more retarded by the fucking second.
>I don't care if I seem retarded, because I'm seeing people making at least as many contradictions as I'm being called out for.
THE ENTIRE THREAD IS TRYING TO MAKE YOU REALIZE THAT IT'S RETARDED YOU FUCKING WEAPONIZED BAGEL.
>>
>>51580017
>Rather than short rest when the party is out of short rest resources, the party will only short rest when everyone is bloody, exhausted, and on the verge of death

That sounds like when you should be taking a long rest.

I've had parties pull into a side room in a dungeon for a short rest, watching the door closely and giving the party time to rest and recuperate. Not running yourself ragged is an important part of any physically strenuous job, and adventuring is no exception.

Alternatively, if your DM really hates the idea of players taking an hour breather mid-dungeon, consider using the Epic Heroism alternative rest rules on page 267 of the DMG.
>>
>>51580060
>WEAPONIZED BAGEL
fukin dyin
New legendary artifact
>>
>>51579884
If you run it so that players don't level up from monsters and they have a goal that isn't just 'exterminate all the monsters' then the players have every reason to avoid certain fights, and that adds depth to gameplay, in my opinion. I know that some people would rather just beat everything up, though.

>>51579920
And not every one of those 80% of monsters is resistant to physical damage.

I mean, I'm saying to make magical items interesting, but people don't seem to like the idea. They'd rather have an item that, while having interesting effects, is essentially just a 'okay, use this all the time' item. It's like telling a wizard to use the same two spells all the time.

And, yes, it doesn't have to be instrinsically linked to magical items. It's just that magical items are one of the ways to facilitate thought, where a player might choose to use an alchemy jug instead of their main weapon because, say, an enemy is vulnerable to mayonnaise somehow. It's just trying to increase the frequency of times where players think it might be a good idea to try to use that alchemy jug instead of their main weapon.
>>
>>51579944
Could be bullshit or could be great.

Here's how I see it going down.
Party goes to drink the potions. They either drink them as instructed or someone gets suspicious and tries to check them out. If someone checks them out they should have a good chance to discern there's some illusion magic mingling inside these potions. That should set off some warning bells.

If they drink them out right, when they approach the lodge, be sure all the skeleton guards are just going about normal guard duty. Have them react as normal guards would. But perhaps as a result of the illusion the players can't understand them when they inquire as to who they are. Have things slowly escalate until they draw weapons. This would be a good indication that these skeletons are different. They weren't immediately aggressive.

Now there's always a chance the party will just snipe the guards or attack without approaching in plain sight. So the family members should react accordingly. Perhaps hiding with simple weapons. Would be odd to come across skeletons/monsters/whatever that are kind of hiding from you. They might get the hint or misinterpret it as the monsters laying an ambush.

Also give the potion some conditions. Perhaps after you drink the potion only those who where next to you (within say a 30 ft radius) remain the same. All other creatures appear monstrous or skeletal. That means upon approaching the tower they might see some sort of skeletal birds flying overhead. Whereas before taking the potion there was no such strange wildlife.
>>
So I know this isn't a 3.5 thread, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed more fitting. If I wanted to make a character that captures Vergil's fighting style from DMC (teleporting in, hitting people at a distance with your sword ala dimension cut, sheathing and unsheathing for attacks almost instantly, etc) how would I best go about it? I'm not planning to use a katana 'cause I don't want to be a total edgelord, but Vergil's flashy-ass combat style is something I'd love to emulate if there's a way to do it. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51580144
>Pathfinder general literally exists

Shoo, shoo
>>
>>51580060
>They already have a way of getting it out
What, how?
They have a magical spreadsheet of item storing that magically stores all the things they need to deal with all their problems and can be pulled out at any moment?
If the players somehow obtain that, then all the more power to them, I suppose, but I'd never give them such a thing.

It's about time I called you out on your retardation with
>Having everything on a spreadsheet means you're prepared for it
>If you fail a guess, you fuck the entire team over
>33% chance to get good
Because those are all overexaggerations at best.
>>
>>51580007
>>51580144
Get the fuck out you off-topic piece of thread hijacking shit
>>
>>51580144
I only know pathfinder so you might want to check PFG, If Magus is a thing then dimension door + Spellcombat works well with the teleporting thing, add to that spell striking and what not and you can manage a halfway decent Vergil like battle style.
>>
For a complete beginner, how is Roll20?
>>
>>51580234
If you mean the software itself? Fine. Easy enough to figure out.

Game quality may vary wildly.
>>
>>51580254
I meant like in terms of learning the game and whatnot, want to get into D&D but not sure about going to a physical place yet, so I thought something online like Roll20 could be an alright substitute.
>>
If I'm playing a kobold, is my equipment going to be changed accordingly? Is there anywhere particularly that says how much my stuff weighs so I can determine if I'm over encumbered?
For instance, hide is 12 lbs average weight, but would it be reduced from being fit to a guy who is 1/3 the size of your average explorer?
>>
>>51580047
>>51580133

good words my dudes, I appreciate it. really like the bits about the guards' behavior and the skeletal wildlife.
>>
It bothers me that the acane archer doesn't have any elemental arcane shots
>>
>>51580279
Ask your GM.
>>
>>51579937
Overall they seem fairly tanky, which is good. In the later levels they seem pretty poweful, but balance is going to depend on what the player character is doing. One thing to watch out for here with multiple characters under one player's control is the action economy, which just means "how many things can a player do in one round?" By giving them a pet with 2 attacks that's like giving them 3 attacks total, which is on par with the fighter. 2 attacks + (non cantrip) spell is something I don't think any other class can do, so I'd be cautious there. I'd take a good look at the UA revised beastmaster, as it would be a really good template for how to scale a pet without having to write out a new stat block every 4 levels.

One thing that stands out are ways you break from 5e convention in terms of language.
For example, variable resistances aren't a thing (resistance always means 50% damage). Don't be afraid to give them fire immunity, resistance to non-magical physical damage, and then vulnerability to cold. Moon Druids can become Fire elementals themselves, so it's not going to break the game. Worst case scenario is you end up with a Fire Spirit and a Fire Elemental that can't hurt each other - maybe they have fun trying to grapple one another instead.
Also, per encounter uses aren't a thing (that's 4e language), they're usually per short rest abilities.
These aren't massive issues but they do help with making it look polished. Steal mercilessly from the language Wizards uses in the PHB and other sources, there's no shame. Also, meet your other new best friend: https://imgur.com/a/CVWj0
>>
File: 1480900714749.jpg (232KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480900714749.jpg
232KB, 1024x768px
Is Schwarzwald a good basis for a Conquest or Treachery paladin?
>>
What's my best bet for playing a class where I can get right up in a motherfucker's face with a sword in one hand and a spell in the other? 10 levels available total.
>>
>>51580294
War Magic + GFB like Ranged Cantrip is possible through this >>51577611 class. There are three cantrips. One using lightning, another using Force, and another using cold. Take a look if your willing to use homebrew.
>>
Does Battlemaster Fighter synch up with any arcane casters or am is it better to stay fighter instead of trying to multiclass?
>>
>>51579954
>(Awoken)
How u wanna do dis?
>>
>>51580386
Eldritch Knight, Bard, Paladin, Bladesong, Bladelock Warlock, and if homebrew is on the table >>51577611 is a solid class choice IMO.
>>
>>51580386
Paladin2/Sorcerer8
or
Paladin6/Sorcerer4
>>
>>51580403
>Eldritch Knight literally exists if you want to be an arcane caster fighter
>trying to multiclass instead
>>
>>51580277
As long as everyone knows you're a beginner it should be fine.

Playing online is always a gamble in finding a good group with a minimum of autistic sperglords. Don't be discouraged if it takes a few tries before you find a gang that you fit in with.
>>
>>51580101
>I mean, I'm saying to make magical items interesting
Oh that's definitely not what you are saying, couldn't be further from the goddamn truth.

>>51580171
>They have a magical spreadsheet of item storing that magically stores all the things they need to deal with all their problems
This is how I know you are autistic.
Let me put this down for you.

They encounter an enemy, they find a strategy for it, they write it down in the spreadsheet, they are now prepared for it indefinately because they can just procure what they need for it and tug that around.
Repeat that for every enemy they face. If it's something solved by a spell then even better, it's now a fixture on the wizards spell list, since you'll eventually move out of that monsters CR range, you'll soon not have to deal with it so the wizard doesn't have to permanently affix a spell slot for it.

tl;dr, you turn it into spreadsheet: the game.
What works, what doesn't work, and they're now permanently prepared for it.
Since you are by all meaning of the word autistic, I'll break down the term "permanently prepared for it" for you aswell.

They find something that works, that is now something they will always bring along with them.
It might be a bottle of vegetable oil, whatever it is, they will now ALWAYS have it with them.

>Because those are all overexaggerations at best.
No, that is literally how it will go because you are only focusing on martials in your infinite ignorance, and not paying any attention to monsters or the fact that int is a universal dump stat for every class except wizard.
Fantastic, your entire group has a int modifier of -2, good luck making those int checks to find out how to even fucking be moderately effective before your party is fucked.
>>
Can someone please post that github thing of all monsters that can be sorted by type, CR and third party/no third party? I had it before but I forgot to save it and I can't find the old thread in the archive. Thanks!
>>
>>51580485
EK has horseshit spell school restrictions though.
Honestly, what would be wrong with "Abjuration or Evocation + 1 school of your choice" ?
>>
So a level 12 paladin in my group has just taken the dual wielding feat. Am I right in thinking that improved divine smite adds 1d8 to each of the melee attacks he makes, effectively allowing him to deal 3d8 slashing damage +3d8 radiant damage +modifiers per turn?
>>
>>51580548
Bingo
>>
>>51580542
That's called a Bladesinger Wizard.
>>
>>51580535
>magical items more interesting
I find 'solves everything' more boring than 'solves some things'.
Disagree if you want, but I'd like to see why that's the case.

>they can just procure what they need for it and tug that around
You can't tug a whole cart around a dungeon with ease. Even left outside of a dungeon, you have to have someone protect that cart. If it's on their body, you can limit how much players can carry. I'm not 100% on such a system, but one good looking one was a simple one where players essentially have free slots for their standard equipment (Armour and what goes in their hands) and then they have item slots, with extra if they have more strength.
They then can't solve every problem by procuring it out of nowhere, they either have to run and fetch it or they have to think of a different solution or decide to plan ahead next time, or simply just fight without an advantage.

>moving out of a monster's CR range means you won't see it anymore
What if you encounter several of them or a beefed up one?
>Wizard fixing it on their spell list
Well, they have a lot of spells they can prepare, but they'll still have to sacrifice something to keep that spell all the time.

And, sometimes, the item is only in limited supply or they have to use it instead of something else, or it might be an environmental thing or require preparation. Even if they have the item, that doesn't make the item an instant win. You might need to pour the vegetable oil everywhere first
>>
File: Magic Tits.jpg (491KB, 1098x947px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Tits.jpg
491KB, 1098x947px
5eggs! Whats your favorite kind of homebrew?

https://www.strawpoll.me/12278163
>>
>>51580683
>Subclasses restricted by race

Gross. What millennia is this?
>>
>>51580688
None, homebrew is shit.
>>
>>51580743
There's an option for that too
>>
>>51580535
>>51580684
.. So in any case, players won't always be 100% prepared, and they can't just take everything with them unless they have a cart or something with them.

And let's look at it this way
>say, 20% of monsters originally have resistance to non-magical weapons
>this is reduced to 10% of the monsters
>there is a 33% chance the player will maybe accidentally find a way to bypass it
>6.6% of monsters resist
>a smart player might be able to find a solution 66% of the time, so 3.3% of monsters resist
>Even if the monsters resist, the player still deals damage and maybe even casters might also be resisted
>maybe 10% of the time a martial might get to do more damage due to a new vulnerability that requires, say, a weapon or item a martial is much more suited to using to fix
>10% of monsters are now easier than normal for the martial

Also
>int is a dump stat, so it's fine if everybody puts a -2 modifier in it
It's not unreasonable to have a rogue have an okay int score. Their main scores are just dex and con, they can probably spare a bit to get a +0 or +1 in int.

Even if they fail the int checks, again, they can still succeed.
>>
>>51580761
I picked it.
>>
>>51580684
>I find 'solves everything' more boring than 'solves some things'.
THEN JUST MAKE THEM MORE INTERESTING.
>Disagree if you want, but I'd like to see why that's the case.
Because it's needlessly fucking martials up the goddamn ass.

>You can't tug a whole cart around a dungeon with ease.
You seem to VASTLY overestimate what you'll need.
And if you're insisting on making each and every enemy, even of the same race, have different "weaknesses" then sincerely, from the bottom of every players heart, fuck you completely. Actually fuck you completely.

Do you want Dwarf Fortress tier micromanagement with the party not daring to go outside?
Because that's how you get that shit you idiot.

>What if you encounter several of them or a beefed up one?
Then GG your party. Legitimately.
Once you get to lvl 8 or so, being less effective than the system is calculating you to be is a literal fucking death sentence. Have you ever played D&D before?

>but they'll still have to sacrifice something to keep that spell all the time.
Ah yes, a random save spell he'll have to sacrifice for another save spell. Much difficult, very wow, much decision.

>And, sometimes, the item is only in limited supply
TO REITERATE WHAT THE ENTIRE THREAD HAS BEEN SAYING, THIS IS A SHIT FUCKING IDEA.
>Even if they have the item, that doesn't make the item an instant win
Jesus fuck you're just going to go through parties like fucking Gygax. Well, have fun with that, seeing as you're too autistic to realize that this is a dumb idea.

How many fucking rounds do you think a party has to figure out a mobs weakness, when they're facing 6 of them at lvl 10 and are losing 30hp+ per round?
>>
>>51580772
>say, 20% of monsters originally have resistance to non-magical weapons
Have you even read through the Monster Manual?
>a smart player might be able to find a solution 66% of the time
Except when they can't make the int check because they have to dump int to do any form of damage, in that case they might have around a 2% chance to accurately GUESS the weakness, and you did say guess.

>10% of monsters are now easier than normal for the martial
That's not how any of this fucking works.
When you add multiple wrong answers to a question which before only required one statement that always was effective, you're DECREASING THE OVERALL EFFECTIVENESS OF ALL MARTIALS while in return skyrocketing the value of full casters back to the 3e chasm between classes.

>It's not unreasonable to have a rogue have an okay int score.
If they want to do damage then yes, it is unreasonable.
>Even if they fail the int checks, again, they can still succeed.
BY APPARENTLY GUESSING.

>Ah yes, we do not seem to be able to do anything to be effective towards this monster.
>WELL, TIME TO GUESS WHATEVER WEAKNESS OUR SPERG DM HAS COME UP WITH
You're making your players play the fucking psychology game to figure how your autistic mind is functioning.

Also,
>trial and error
You do realize that this will bring down every fight to a fucking GRIND and take four to five times as long just guessing every round while they're being pummeled, because you've put some arbitrary fucking retarded weakness on a bugbear.
>>
File: Qjjl_ch036_008-009-0.jpg (88KB, 572x574px) Image search: [Google]
Qjjl_ch036_008-009-0.jpg
88KB, 572x574px
New faggot to 5e, is this how Crit work?

It says:
>When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack’s damage against the target. Roll all of the attack’s damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal. To speed up play, you can roll all the damage dice at once.

>For example, if you score a critical hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than 1d4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue’s Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well.

So, if you attack as a Rogue with a dagger, sneak attack is 3d6, it becomes 2d4 + 6d6 on a crit?

What about a Paladin? If he is using a 1d6 weapon with 2d8 Divine Smite, does the hit become 2d6 + 4d8?

I'm not sure if it means roll extra dice for all damage dice or just the attack.
>>
>>51580903
The Crits do affect the dice of any riders on weapons/spells.
>>
>>51579944
Reminds me of that one Fighter's Guild quest from Oblivion.
The one where the rival guild has giving their men bad shrooms and having them kill townsfolk hallucinated to be gobbos.
>>
>>51580806
But making them more interesting can also mean 'not making it something you mindlessly use all the time because it's the best'.

>Vastly overestimate what you'll need
The party also needs to bring other supplies with them. Maybe torches, a ten foot pole, some other things...

I'm not making every single enemy have some sort of weakness, or some such as goblins might have a more psychological weakness (They may be stupid and be easily tricked), but after a while of adventuring players won't have enough room to prepare for every single monster they've ever encountered before.

And there's hardly a lot of micromanagement. No more than 'Here's your inventory slots. Put an item in each.'

>Adding multiple of the same monster or beefing one up will cause party death
I mean, what? There are beefed up versions of monsters in the monster manuals and there's no reason you might sometimes face one of a monster but then face multiple of a monster. Just because those monsters would be easier if you knew they would be there and had a way to deal with them doesn't mean your party's screwed.

>All wizard solutions to problems are save spells.
I don't know about you and what you keep insisting but save spells aren't everything. Rope trick, darkness, silence, misty step, invisibility, shield, silent image, if you need a fast alarm or detect magic...

And, you don't always sacrifice your entire go as an attempt of making use of a weakness. Or you don't try at all and learn after.
>>
>>51580903
Yes, ALL damage is doubled.
This makes smiting pretty devastating, but at least paladins don't get anything to improve their crit chance.
>>
>Wizard
>Divination Wizard
>Human Variant Divination Wizard
>"Lucky" Human Variant Divination Wizard
>>
>>51580903
Yes to both examples. Rule of thumb is that any dice that are rolled get rolled again (or doubled) for the crit.
Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Savage Attacks (half-orc feature) which is rolling a single die a third time and adding it after the crit damage has been rolled.
>>
>>51580341
I should have noted that some things such as the percentage resistances are house rules for my players, we just like them.

As far as the action economy, the PC must use their action to command the Spirit to attack, that way the player isn't essentially getting 3 attacks/round. Only the PC or the Spirit can attack each round.
I considered the idea of the PC to gain a feature at level 11 to change the "Command" Action to a Bonus Action, but that would indeed change the action of economy. Too powerful?
>>
>>51581005

Why not halfling?

Feat Lucky stacks with racial Lucky.
>>
>>51580880
Okay, so let's say FIFTY percent of the monster manual has resistance. Because it really doesn't fucking matter what the percent is.
Because I'm the DM, I'm choosing what monsters appear and their stats.
Let's say I now only have 10% monsters that resist-
Oh, wait, we're back on track.
Of course, I could decide it's 20% or 30% or whatever, but I'd choose something reasonable.

>Except when the smart player isn't being smart
Well if they failed to hear the priest's ramblings about how the tomb is filled with undead of a variety that'll come back if you don't skewer the hearts and sprinkle holy water on them, or lock them away, or bury them properly, or anything like that, then whoop-de-doo.
The player doesn't need to make an int check to realize that.
And, again, they don't have to guess. They could just fight it, take a breather and try to work something out about it. Maybe a quick autopsy, trying a couple of cantrips on it or ask someone back in town once they're out of the dungeon. Maybe they could take the time to investigate the room to see if there's any evidence that people in the past have tried using a certain thing against it.

>only one required way is effective
Uhh, no?
If for example 10% of monsters are resistant, and 10% of monsters have a vulnerability the fighter uses, then that's 9% of monsters that the fighter just did better against, 9% of monsters that the fighter did worse against and 1% of monsters they did both better and worse, say.
>>
Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

Two players in our group make no attempt to role play or do anything beyond murderhobo. They metagame constantly and contribute almost nothing to the group as a whole, going so far as to regularly abandon the party during combat, trying to rob my character, and doing blatantly contrarian things that jam the entire party up. The other PC in the group is pretty solidly aligned with me and the DM is my best friend. The three of us are baffled by their behavior and have tried talking to them about how it ruins the session. They don't care. As such, the DM has given me the greenlight to essentially crash the campaign with no survivors. This meshes well with my character as I have a vast network of agents and a ton of resources at my disposal. They haven't don't anything with downtime activities and have basically nothing so I doubt they'll figure out my plans (I've told the DM that I'm not comfortable with this unless they have a ton of opportunities to figure out my plans even though I know they won't take them).

Anyways, I was wondering, If given a blank check to go full retard and completely explode a campaign, what would you do?
>>
>>51581001
>And there's hardly a lot of micromanagement.
Fucking what?
Are you retarded?
Have you even PLAYTESTED this retarded fucking idea?

>there's no reason you might sometimes face one of a monster but then face multiple of a monster.
You mean besides encounter tables, which is very much a thing?
>doesn't mean your party's screwed.
Clearly you haven't played D&D over 7th level at all. Face a party of 5 people against 6 vampires and don't give them a magical weapon, see how long they last.

To reiterate, how long do you want your party to flaunder around, taking shitloads of damage just because you've added some arbitrary fucking weakness they need to guess?
Take a lvl 9 fighter and he'll have about 3 or 4 rounds facing off against 2 vampires before he's completely dead from full health, and this is counting a +4 con mod.

>I don't know about you and what you keep insisting but save spells aren't everything.
I'll take "why wizard have been godtier since forever" for 500, spergo.

>And, you don't always sacrifice your entire go as an attempt of making use of a weakness.
Really, so you are modifying action economy aswell?
Let's say you're checking if he's weak to holy water. You toss the holy water.
Congratulations, there's your entire round as a martial unless you feel like moving somewhere.

Again, if you think magical items are boring, make them more interesting.
This is a completely retarded fucking idea and I am almost becoming religious in order to pray for whatever fucking poor sods you pick up to play it.
>>
>Warlock in the party
>boasts how much damage he does and how powerful he is
>burn both his spell slots every single combat
>asks for short rest every second
>meanwhile I can go all day swinging my axe
I swear this guy
>>
File: kawaji.png (799KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
kawaji.png
799KB, 780x780px
>>51581115
flail snail kills him
>>
>>51581096
Not enough information to help you there.
But why not just kill their characters?
Or like... kick them out of the group?

They clearly aren't willing to listen to you AND the DM. You've explained that they're ruining the fun for the majority of the table. And if the DM is included in that majority that takes even more priority since they are the ones that have to put in the most time.
>>
>>51581092
>Because I'm the DM, I'm choosing what monsters appear and their stats.
Clearly, because you seem to not only be modifying the Monster Manual, but also random weaknessess, action economy, apparently how spells also work since you seem to insist that wizards don't have much value when it comes to save spells.
To reiterate what you, as a DM, is supposed to do.
Make it fun. Stop working AGAINST the players and work WITH the players. You're so fucking autistic and snowed in on the fact that you dislike magical items that you are actively just fucking your players over and making it un-fun. Just because you find it interesting doesn't mean the party will, not everyone wants a fucking spreadsheet psychology class whenever they try to fight something.

>Well if they failed to hear the priest's
Fantastic, you have a party without a priest now.
Int check?
-2 modifier because your entire party are martials. Have fun DMing that, have fun trying to find players that enjoy feeling completely useless because you made them useless.

>They could just fight it, take a breather and try to work something out about it.
Previous example. Fighter with +4 con mod will be up for MAYBE 4 rounds against 2 vampires.
A rogue may be up for 3 - 4 rounds against a single vampire.
How long do you want to desperately cling to your retarded idea?
Until they're all dead?
Because that's what's going to happen at higher levels.

>Uhh, no? If for example
That's not how any of this works, as I said fucking before.
When you're giving them AT BEST a 33% chance to guess which damage type to use, you are nerfing all martials because you are adding needless action economy delay to classes that are already underwhelming, on top of it might not even have a damage type weakness and is instead weak against McDonalds garlic sauce, and since they can't make the int save they're guessing for 4 rounds until someone goes down.
>>
>>51581115
Yeah, most warlock players need to realize that their spell slots are supposed to be their trump cards when it comes to combat. Their at wills are for out of combat utility. And furthermore they should rely on EB for sustained damage.

Unfortunately relying on EB for sustained damage makes them play like ass in combat and is no fun at all. They should really give warlock more damage options outside of EB. Even allowing each patron to give them an option to change the flavor of their EB would make it way more interesting. Being a laser turret is so boring. Because at least as a martial you can describe all the ways in which you swing your axe. There's only so many variations of lasers.
>>
>>51581100
>Have you even PLAYTESTED this retarded fucking idea?
If you could read, you'd know, because I stated something to the tune of 'I'm not 100% on how it's work' which clearly means it's still just an idea.
Not that you've said any reasons why it wouldn't work.

>party of 5 against 6 vampires
The party runs, because this is obviously a biased fight. Not that I'm a fan of having such fights, I'd at the very least give the party a warning there's SIX FUCKING VAMPIRES in here and hopefully they wouldn't walk into them in the first place, and that would give them a chance to prepare for it if they weren't already prepared. They don't need an einstein in the party either to know things like vampires hate sunlight either.

Save spells in 5e aren't all save or die. They're strong, yes, but they aren't going to work in every situation. Hold person isn't going to work on animals and if you use hold person right before their turn they'll lose a turn but effectively have two saves without people taking advantage of the crit. If the enemy has a good wisdom save or magic resistance it's harder and if you can't even see the enemy then you can't even cast it. Even if every single spell they prepare is a save spell and that covers most creatures, then whatever. They have less out of combat utility.

>Modifying action economy
Say, you want to guess if it's weak to your other weapon. You drop your current weapon, pull the other out and attack. It's not super effective, but damages.
>>
Does anyone have the Tome of Beasts PDF?
>>
What bonuses/penalties should casting electric-based magic have in heavy rain, if any?
I was thinking it would do more damage but also do some damage to the caster.
>>
File: ssaq.jpg (365KB, 707x707px) Image search: [Google]
ssaq.jpg
365KB, 707x707px
Where is the information for creating Half-Dragons?

I'm working on creating mutated/corrupted dragons and I need that information. Is it in Volo's? I can't quite recall.
>>
What do you think of this meme build? (I don't want to do PAM shenanigans since Oathbreaker is OP enough as it is without adding Revenant on top)

>Dwarf Revenant Oathbreaker
>Rusted metal chain from arm shackle as a weapon (Flail stats, Improvised Weapon)
>Dueling
>Keep off hand free
>Take Tavern Brawler at 4
>Smack enemies with a chain and grapple them, beat niggas with their own allies on subsequent turns

Really I just want to make a one-handed weapon without a shield worthwhile.
>>
>>51581267
it's in the monster manual
>>
>>51581264
Isn't it in the mega trove?
>>
>>51581275
If you actually want to beat a guy with their friend, you might want to play a race with the large build (or whatever it's called) trait, such as goliath.
Otherwise, you're limited to swinging halflings.
>>
What's the best way I can build an illusion duelist?

Trickery cleric seems interesting with its clone ability. But there's so few rules about it I feel like I'd get fucked over by the DM meta-gaming (purposefully or not).
Bard has tons of illusion spells and shit, plus they can pick anything else they'd wand with their secrets.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51581334
Dwarves are still Medium.

And yeah I was considering that, but IIRC none of the Large Build races have a subrace I can replace for Revenant.

I could just talk to the DM about it though, take away some other ability.

>Bugbear Revenant noodle arming you from 15 feet away
jesus christ how horrifying.
>>
File: 1486266148912.png (29KB, 219x264px) Image search: [Google]
1486266148912.png
29KB, 219x264px
>>51581262
>Not that you've said any reasons why it wouldn't work.
WHAT?
PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE FUCKING REPLIES, BECAUSE HALF OF THEM ARE PEOPLE TELLING YOU WHY THIS IS A SHIT FUCKING IDEA, BOYO.

>The party runs, because this is obviously a biased fight. Not that I'm a fan of having such fights, I'd at the very least give the party a warning there's SIX FUCKING VAMPIRES
And why would you give them a warning?
It's their job to be prepared, is it not?
Because that's what you're preaching like a fucking brainwashed husk.
And why would they run?
Because you've been instilling them that everything has a weakpoint that they can find, so they'll keep trying until they go down.
>They don't need an einstein in the party either to know things like vampires hate sunlight either.
And why would they know that? Vampires aren't common enemies in Forgotten Realms, most people outside of actual vampire hunters haven't got any information about how vampires work.
Now you're actively fudging to save your party from a proposed situation where YOUR SYSTEM MODIFICATIONS actively hamper them to an insane degree.

Also, the reason why I took that example?
Because I've been in it, which luckily went somewhat fine because WE HAD MAGIC WEAPONS.

>Save spells in 5e aren't all save or die
Where the fuck have I said that?
They're save or suck, or sometimes save or be out of the fight. They ARE going to work in every situation if the wizard isn't half retarded.
>If the enemy has a good wisdom save or magic resistance it's harder
Then switch spells to something proccing con saves or dex. Also, barely any monsters have magic resistance so you can scratch that off in 90% of the scenarios.
>Even if every single spell they prepare is a save spell and that covers most creatures, then whatever. They have less out of combat utility.
Kek?
Again, have you ever had a wizard player in your party?
>>
>>51581100
>if you think magical items are boring, make them more interesting
But you're doing everything in your power to convince me not to, or at the very least eliminate the option of magic items playing into any sort of monster weaknesses, when the monster manual is full of things like 'Oh, vampires getting staked in the heart fucks them over', so there's already room for magical stakes here, or some stupid stake-firing gun if these magic stakes work even if the vampires aren't incapacitated and resting in their rest place.

>>51581199
>modifying the monster manual
The manual is mostly guidelines. It is not a hardcore 'THIS is what your monster should look like'.
>random weaknesses
They are not arbitrary. The weaknesses would make sense where they appear, such as with an undead that can be suppressed by a holy power.
>action economy
Again, your misinterpretations because you think someone can't just pull out holy water as an object interaction and drop it and see if the monster shies away from it or something.
>insist wizards don't have much value
I'm saying they do have value, and they are versatile, but they aren't going to have the solution to every problem prepared at any time.

>against the players
Rewarding them for not approaching every problem by whacking it, yet still allowing them to whack everything if they please, even if it means they have to patch themselves up a bit more afterwards.

>dislike magical items
Only certain ones.
>>
>>51581262
>Say, you want to guess if it's weak to your other weapon. You drop your current weapon, pull the other out and attack. It's not super effective, but damages.
Fantastic, that's still your entire fucking round.
That is one round out of the 4 rounds you have to find their weakness before you're dead.

Again, THIS IS A DUMB FUCKING IDEA.
>>
>>51580493
True enough.

If I was to print out the PHB in the OP, would that be frowned upon by other players? Don't know how much it would cost in comparison to the actual PHB, but I'm assuming it would be cheaper.
>>
>>51581159
The only setting relevant detail that could be incorporated is that the allied armies of the world are battling a demon invasion that has taken half the landmass already. I didn't mention it because "ally with demons and fuck over the party" is so cliche and he's basically given me a blank check to do anything. Figured something creative might be more fun. If I can't get any other ideas though, I'm going full Isstvan V on them.

As for your other point:

One of the guys isn't so bad. He just is being influenced by the group grognard. We don't want to kick him and I think the DM is ready to start a new campaign anyways so this might just be a convenient excuse. Our DM is a really laid back, nice guy and I don't think he wants to kick the grognard, maybe just piss him off so bad that he leaves.
>>
Quick question can paladins aura of protection stack with items that provide bonuses to saves like ring of protection or does it fall into "use only the highest provided bonus" rule?
>>
>>51581382
>But you're doing everything in your power to convince me not to
ARE YOU ACTUALLY AUTISTIC?
THE ENTIRE THREAD HAS BEEN TELLING YOU TO DO THAT INSTEAD OF YOUR FUCKING DUMBASS IDEA.
YOU HAVE TO BE TROLLING AT THIS POINT BUT CONGRATU-FUCKIN'-LATIONS, YOU'VE SUCCESSFULLY MADE ME LOSE FAITH IN MANKIND YOU UTTER FUCKING TROMBONE.

>The manual is mostly guidelines.
You're fucking retarded. Not even going to tell you why this is retarded, take a wild fucking guess instead, buddy. I'll give you a 2% chance to get it.
>They are not arbitrary. The weaknesses would make sense where they appear
Ah yes, because that is clearly going to work out in practice.
Again, no, you're fucking retarded. Don't make the players play reverse psychology with your handicapped mind.
>drop it and see if the monster shies away from it or something.
Why the fuck would a monster shy away from it when IT LOOKS LIKE NORMAL FUCKING WATER?
ARE YOU ACTUALLY RETARDED? Actually yes you are, why am I even fucking second guessing that at this point.

Also the only class that can do an object interaction as a bonus action is to be a Thief rogue, otherwise it takes your entire action you fucking idiot.

>Rewarding them for not approaching every problem by whacking it
You're literally punishing them for not trying to read your fucking mind, you sperg.
>Only certain ones.
THEN MAKE THEM FUCKING MORE INTERESTING.
REALLY
REALLY
REALLY
WE'VE BEEN SAYING THIS THE ENTIRE FUCKING GODDAMN THREAD THUS FAR. JUST FUCKING MAKE THEM MORE INTERESTING AND STOP BEING AUTISTIC.
>>
>>51579039
Could go Jester Bard.

They can literally cartwheel up walls.
>>
>>51581003
Including ability score bonuses?
>>
>>51581199
>Spreadsheet
If you need a spreadsheet, you must have a terrible memory, but it's also endearing to think a player would come with a notepad and be that guy who helps keep everyone in line and prepared.

>A party without a priest
The party was given the task by the priest. Why WOULDN'T the players have the priest tell them stuff?
If the players just wander around without purpose beating stuff up, it's of course going to leave them worse prepared than if they're told what they're being sent off to fight first.
>-2 modifier
Nice meme.

>Okay, so they're fighting the vampires again
.. Okay?
If you really want to insist the players fight things they cannot beat. The players should probably just run and ask someone at the library or something, or stop trying to fight the impossible. I wouldn't put impossible 'only this item can beat them!' fights in, it'd just help them if they did have that item or that other item or this or that ability or that.
Also, it might have been fairly weak, but the idea is there would be more of them ahead so they'd be fighting lots of fairly weak things so they need to be more efficient.

>they have at best a 33% chance to guess
If they have to guess and haven't solved it already. Or they might choose not to guess and, as above, solve the problem after beating it, or decide on tactical retreat and a different approach.
Not to mention switching weapons isn't that hard.
>>
>>51581367
But I mean will you have the carry capacity to lift and bludgeon somebody with their (possibly armored and thus heavy) buddy?
>>
What kind of creatures would you expect to be causing trouble in a rock quarry on a frigid arctic isle?
>>
>>51581415
Depends on the players I guess. Although if you're playing online you can just download the PDF (since you can search it) from the mega and no one will know (unless you're playing with video chat?)

If you do want to print out some of the rules though, you're free to print any/all of the SRD (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf) to get a feel for the game. It has most of the rules but none of the fluff (pictures, descriptive text, etc). People will understand not wanting to shell out $50 for a book for a game you haven't tried yet.
>>
>>51581542
ice mephits
>>
>>51581376
>PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE FUCKING REPLIES, BECAUSE HALF OF THEM ARE PEOPLE TELLING YOU WHY THIS IS A SHIT FUCKING IDEA, BOYO.
God damnit john literally none of the last two hundred and forty five replies were about specifically the carry capacity system, so this is completely irrelevant.

>Why would you give them a warning
Because it's a dick move to just say 'Dragon appears! It eats all your level 1 players. Ha-ha.'
The dragon might have servants such as kobolds. There might be singe marks around its layer, skeletons, an old man outside yelling 'DON'T GO IN! DRAGON!'. There might be roaring inside, or they might see the sleeping dragon and choose to not wake it up.
In any of these cases, they can then prepare themself.
>Why would they run?
So they don't get beaten up and can't progress into the dungeon as much, duh.

>everything has a weakpoint
If that's how you want to do it, sure, but I'm not doing 'everything has a weakpoint' if you've read any of the posts. Just that some things do. Well, maybe everything does depending if things like goblins being stupid counts as a weakpoint, or them being weak counts as a weakpoint.

>My party was fine because our DM prepared us for it for us!
Go you.

>>51581396
>Fantastic, you just did damage, and that's your entire round, even though the damage wasn't double super effective damage that you didn't really necessarily need to do
>It's fucking terrible martials these days don't get TWO rounds
>>
>>51581415
Everyone I've ever played with just uses PDFs as reference.
A couple of people I've played with eventually bought the PHB, but more of a keepsake than anything.

I don't think anyone will care.
>>
File: hmmmm.jpg (82KB, 852x478px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.jpg
82KB, 852x478px
I'm in an adventure as a Rogue/Assassin for quite some time now. I'm almost lvl 7 but I feel like I'm falling behind a bit specially since I haven't yet found any magical item that particularly suits me during this quest. I mostly use crossbow and rapier (cb is usually the most used).

Is there any kind of magic crossbow that requires no ammo or is kinda automatic? This is out of curiosity.
I'm open to suggestions about weapons and armor as well, I have enough money to buy something or create something new within the limit. Do you have anything in mind?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51581415
btw the SRD is probably more than you need, I should have linked you the basic player rules

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PlayerBasicRulesV03.pdf
>>
>>51581493
>you must have a terrible memory
Or just put it on a spreadsheet for easy viewing you fucking imbecile.

>Why WOULDN'T the players have the priest tell them stuff?
Why the fuck would they trust a priest who's telling them cliché vampire fantasy when your retarded ass is instilling them to "think outside the box" and get magical fucking custard to fight the vampiers.
>Nice meme.
If you want a martial that does damage and survives, you are going to dump int. No exceptions. Clearly you've never actually played the fucking game.

>If you really want to insist the players fight things they cannot beat
THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SETTING THEM UP TO DO.
IF THEY CAN'T GUESS WHAT YOUR AUTISTIC MIND IS THINKING, THAT IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.
> I wouldn't put impossible 'only this item can beat them!' fights in, it'd just help
We're literally in this entire fucking discussion because you dislike magical items you fucking idiot. Atleast be consistant.
And also, you're prepared to fucking FUDGE just to save your party from what you've wrought?

>If they have to guess and haven't solved it already
No, if they have to guess then they have a sub 3% chance of success.
>Not to mention switching weapons isn't that hard.
AGAIN, YOU SEEM TO THINK THAT ACTION ECONOMY ISN'T A FUCKING THING.
THIS IS HOW YOU KILL FUCKING PLAYERS, IT'S A SHIT FUCKING IDEA.

Say you're a fighter and you have 3 weapons to go through to find the right one.
Congratulations, you found it on your third round. You now have 1 round, MAYBE 2 to actually get them down before you go down. This is why action economy is carefully balanced, and since you are shitting on that without modifying monsters accordingly, I repeat, THIS IS HOW YOU FUCKING KILL PLAYERS.

STOP TRYING TO REENACT 1938 BERLIN AGAINST YOUR PLAYERS, HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU THIS INTENT ON MAKING PEOPLE NOT HAVE FUN?
>>
>>51581598
My GM homebrews magic items specifically tailored for each player. Would your GM be open to that sort of thing? If so, just work with him on it.
>>
>>51581598
This is why I don't play classes without at least half caster status.

DMs do not like to give out magical loot but expect martials to keep up by virtue of their class abilities alone.
>>
What do you think of running Curse of Strahd at high level? Besides adjusting combat encounters

>Defeat the lich
>Cooperate with Mordenkeinen in the building of such things as simulacrums
>Fix the Vallakovich teleportation circle
>Turn the winery into a Fortress
>Barter with the Abbot for Golem Manuals
>Refound the order of the Silver Dragon
>Pit Wintersplinter vs Baba Lysagaa's hut
>>
>>51581557
>>51581586
>>51581610
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I don't really mind eventually buying the PHB if I end up playing a lot, but yeah right now spending $50 on something that I'm just interested in is a bit steep, as well if I can give my friends the .pdf's they'd be more likely to check it out. Just don't want to cause any problems if I do end up wanting to play in person.
>>
>>51581573
>It's fucking terrible martials these days don't get TWO rounds
Ah yes, I'll just take my rogue here and do two rounds, you fucking idiot. The only martial that gets two rounds is a fighter.

>specifically the carry capacity system, so this is completely irrelevant.
WHAT?
YOU CLEARLY ARE FUCKING RETARDED.

>Because it's a dick move to just say 'Dragon appears!
Comparing dragons to vampires in 2k17.
What you are basically saying is that you are going to actively fudge the game to save your players from what you've caused.

>So they don't get beaten up and can't progress into the dungeon as much, duh.
And how would they know that they'd get beaten up you fucking sperglord, if they do not have the relevant information to realize that they're dangerous, as you've tailored them into thinking they just need to find the right weakness?

>Go you.
Walking into a room with 6 vampires randomly, is surely preparing for it.
Do me a favour, read through CoS and stop being a fucking idiot. Please.
For the sanity of the other people in this thread, just fucking get some help and stop being autistic.
>>
>>51581628
>>51581635
He's open to suggestions and let's us mix things a bit, some have been luckier with drops and he was kind enough with regular equip + but this time I need to whip something up.
I would like to stay within regulations and not create something absurd but I would love to have a nifty crossbow and maybe a cloak with some hiding/defensive capabilities. Is there anything already within the book that I may mix up to get similar results? I don't want to be completely broken.
>>
>>51580539
Read the OP carefully
>>
>>51581598
Crafting in 5e is such ass it hardly even exists.
Perhaps start inquiring in game about magical weapons, showing that you'd be willing to go on a quest/sidequest to find one for yourself. If they don't get the hint... then talk to your DM after a session. Just explain to him how you're feeling compared to the rest of the party.

As a DM myself I'm more than open to having players beg me for plot hooks.
>I really want to find some kind of magic weapon/armor
>A shady looking fellow overhears your conversation and says he knows where you can find such powerful items
>Begin quest
>>
>>51581376
>They are going to work in every situation
If you have enough save spells to cover everything.

I mean, literally, hold person does not work against things that aren't humanoids. Fireball isn't effective against the many fire resistant enemies.
Et cetera.

Also, many monsters have resistances to conditions, and saves often inflict conditions.

>>51581464
>How DARE you have a gnoll that has an axe instead of a spear! How DARE your shadow demon have a bit of extra HP! How DARE this slime that isn't in the monster manual even exists! It doesn't even follow normal slime stats! How am I supposed to metagame everything as a player with a monster manual now?

>Holy water splashes on ground in front of monster
>Gets on the monster's feet
>See if there's any reaction
Wow, that was some really tricky logic to follow, I'm almost tired out after that one.

>>51581620
>priest
The party could think outside the box with 'Oh, how about a sprinkler mace that I can put holy water inside?' or something.

>You are going to dump int, no exceptions
You've clearly never played the game with anyone but metagamers who go 15 str, 15 con, 15 dex and then 8 wis, 8 int, 8 cha. And if the players suffer because they did that, then who's to blame?

>dislike magical items
Time and time again, I just said I hate certain ones, such as the concept that the magical weapons being required doesn't add anything much to the game.

>prepared to fudge
Where did I say that?
>>
>>51581666
>Just don't want to cause any problems if I do end up wanting to play in person.
Honestly, most people don't care what new players borrow or steal to get started. It's like buying drugs; first hit is free, cuz once you're hooked you'd sell your worldly possessions for a wet fart in a bag, as long as it has the official D&D logo.
>>
>>51581717
That's quite a nice suggestion. The DM and our group have been around for quite some time and some of us even know each other from before the sessions. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Thank you very much.
>>
>>51580014
>For whatever reason I absolutely adore low levels in a lot of games, tabletop or vidya. There's something about playing a survivalist style in a non-survival game that really gets my juices flowing

I had a massive amount of fun doing that by going north from Goodsprings one time in New Vegas. I was going to be an unarmed build but wanted Punchy early, so I headed north right away. I didn't want to mess with the fiend quests at that point so I hugged the mountains.

Which I discovered were incredibly full of Cazadores. They came in waves. I used my pistol ammo, then all my shotgun ammo (which meant I had to let them get really close) and finally even the Tri-Lazer I took off a dead fiend that wandered too close. With some 4 points in Energy Weapons. I was horribly outclassed and hurting but I managed to push onward.

Eventually I came to the beerrunner's shack, headed inside to scout it out. Grabbed some loot and in the basement, a locked cabinet. After fiddling to unlock it, I found it full of grenades and a missile launcher with one missile.
Leaving, I went over a lip of a hill to see some 7 Cazadores rushing me. I switched to the launcher, VATS'd the leader as he approached. Through the smoke and slowmo, I saw the pieces of the Cazadores raining down all around, with 4 of my limbs crippled. With this I managed to limp to West Side, having now started an Explosives character.

Bit off topic, but it was fun times making do as I went along in extremely hostile environment with that I could scrounge up.
>>
What happens if a half elf and a human have a kid? Is it human or half elf? quarter elf with cheese?
>>
>>51581876
I would assume a Half-Elf. It seems like it would take a few generations to take the elven magic out of their bloodline.
>>
>>51581876
Half elves are sterile, like mules.
>>
>>51581680
http://www.aidedd.org/dnd/om.php?vo=cloak-of-elvenkind

Something like this, and then a weapon like the three shot crossbow on dark souls wouldn't be absurd I don't think. Especially at level 7.
>>
>>51581786
>Fireball isn't effective against the many fire resistant enemies.
>wizard taking fireball is twenty fucking seventeen

>How DARE you have a gnoll that has an axe instead of a spear!
That's not what you said and you know it you fucking retarded cunt. But sure, treat the MM like "guidelines". I mean there's not like there's a delicate balance to how strong monsters are, right?

>Wow, that was some really tricky logic to follow, I'm almost tired out after that one.
It's almost like it wasn't even close to what you were saying. Funny how that works huh?
Again, you were saying to pull it out and see if the creature recoils. To what appears to be water.
Great fucking logic lapse there.

>The party could think outside the box with
Ah yes, I'll just take a bit of this meta-game knowledge because unless they're vampire hunters, they're not going to have that knowledge.
>You've clearly never played the game with anyone but metagamers
SAYS THE MAN WHO APPARENTLY HASN'T PLAYED HIS RETARDED FUCKING IDEA AT ALL, NOR ENCOUNTERED ANY WIZARD WITH HALF A BRAIN.
The game is literally balanced around characters having a certain amount of damage, you fucking buffoon.

>Time and time again, I just said I hate certain ones
"Oooooh I just dislike certain ones, that is why I am fucking the entire system because I am too autistic to just CHANGE THEM.
INSTEAD I'LL CHANGE ACTION ECONOMY, NERF MARTIALS, CONVOLUTE THE WEAKNESSESS OF MONSTERS AND FUCK AROUND WITH THE BALANCE OF THE ENTIRE GAME"

>Where did I say that?
"Because it's a dick move to just say 'Dragon appears! It eats all your level 1 players. Ha-ha.'
The dragon might have servants such as kobolds. There might be singe marks around its layer, skeletons, an old man outside yelling 'DON'T GO IN! DRAGON!'. There might be roaring inside, or they might see the sleeping dragon and choose to not wake it up.
In any of these cases, they can then prepare themself."
This entire section, but I am glad you asked.
>>
>>51581355
There is a UA treachery paladin based on the trickery domain. That's if UAs are allowed and even then I think this one is considered broken.
>>
>>51581949
>not taking Fly and Fireball at level 5

Give me your wizard license right now faggot
>>
I just played my first game of DnD ever yesterday! It was so much fun and the resources in the OP are the only reason it happened.

You guys are great.
>>
>>51581490
No, only dice
>>
>>51581978
>taking fireball at all
This isn't AD&D still, bucko.
>>
>>51581620
>That is what you're setting them up to do
Why are you still telling me how I'm DMing? I never said I'd throw 5 vampires in that can't be beaten without magical weapons.
I'd throw maybe a single vampire in that will prove a challenge if they don't have something anti-vampireish or a plant to land them in running water or something, but certainly won't kill them and hopefully if things do get out of hand people know when to run.

>you now have one round, maybe two to actually get them down
But.. You still did reasonable damage before you found the right one, so I don't know what the problem is?
And you're probably a goof for not using the right weapon in the first place, it won't take acrobatic logic to realize 'Oh, it's a skeleton, maybe I should stop stabbing it with a rapier'.

>rogues don't get two rounds
Uhh, thief rogue. It's a thing. It literally gets two turns, whereas fighter only gets another action.
But that's not the point.

>>51581669
>you clearly are retarded
So you're admitting you took something I said out of context just to get angry at it?

>Comparing vampires to dragons
Okay, 'five vampires appear!'
Are you happy now?
Are you?
Because five vampires suddenly appearing is even more stupid than a dragon appearing unless setting-appropriate and you'd likely hear a band of vampires is going around fucking people over.

>walking into a normal room, 6 vampires randomly being there with absolutely no idea there might be vampires around
Gee
>>
>>51581948
This is good, a three shot crossbow would be great as well!
>>
>>51582022
Fireball is amazing at level 5 and only drops off later on.

Still GOAT.
>>
>>51581989
Fuck you too ano-

Oh, I mean, that's great. Glad you had fun.
>>
A party of 6 level 6's, would they be ready to encounter an adult dragon?

The encounter calculators say so, but I know they can't always be trusted and experience can be a better guide.
>>
>>51581669
>Read through CoS
Oh, yeah, tell me about that 4d6 +2 to hit and damage greatsword. I mean, you might as well just make an item that says 'Give this to the fighter, they now deal double damage.'
I hope I'm wrong though, that the magic item only has limited usage or something.

>>51581949
There are situations where the AoE damage from fireball would be far superior to an AoE other effect at that level. You just have to know when.

>>51581949

>not being a delicate balance to how strong monsters are
I would hardly say it's delicate, as long as you don't do obviously stupid things like putting in a load of yetis that show up and paralyze the fuck out of everything.

I mean, people talk of throwing a CR17 at a party of level 6s and it melting like butter, yet some low CR monsters fuck the party up.

The MM is guidelines, the CR is guidelines for creating an encounter, and you can vary the difficulty a bit. Just don't over or under do it.

>To what appears to be water
You pull it out (Object interaction), drop it (nothing required), it breaks on the floor, a harmless but felt amount splashes onto them and it sizzles on their flesh. How doesn't that work?

>Unless they're vampire hunters
They've just been fucking told that holy water works on X, though. By the priest. Duh.

>to just change them
But.. That's exactly what I'm doing, none of the bullshit you're spouting.

>Fudge
How is it fudging to follow logic, 'dragon has servants'?
>>
>>51582032
>Why are you still telling me how I'm DMing?
Because I actually care about people enough that I don't want anyone to be subjected to your fucking insane idea.
Rework the idea.
>I never said I'd throw 5 vampires in that can't be beaten
Curse of Strahd did. And it was 6, not 5.

>But.. You still did reasonable damage before you found the right one
Half damage isn't reasonable damage when the entire system is built upon you having a certain average damage. You can't just go around meddling with this as you please, just rethink your entire idea and try to think about it out of the players perspectives.

>Uhh, thief rogue. It's a thing. It literally gets two turns, whereas fighter only gets another action.
At level 17.
95% of all the campaigns are from 1 - 8. You are statistically speaking never going to see lvl 17.

>So you're admitting you bla bla
What I am saying is that the entire thread has been pointing out flaws with this idea, most specifically the fact that it very much just trips up martials when they're severely underpowered to begin with. They don't need to be fucked with which you are inadvertantly doing.
Try to consider the implications of what you are trying to pass off.

>Because five vampires suddenly appearing is even more stupid than a dragon appearing unless setting-appropriate
As I said before, read Curse of Strahd if you're going to try to pull shit out of your arse.
I pulled an example that very much exists in a module, because it is something that'll happen at higher levels unless you actively fudge the encounter by saying something like "okay there are (insert shit here) in the next room, they are dangerous, here is how you can beat them" which is not only dumb, but also invalidating what you've been trying to advocate this entire thread.

>Gee
Seeing as we were facing at most Flaming Skulls and a few witches as it was in an old arcane temple, vampires were not on the agenda.
>>
>>51582169
I just want to chime in and add another voice to the choir singing "you're a dumbass"
>>
>>51579714
Just to give you an example of this, at level 5 with a greatsword, a BM has 4d8 and 4d6+(Str*2) per short rest, so 40.

A paladin has 14d8 per long rest, 63, and whatever channel divinity gives them (highly variable, comparable to maneuver effects at best).

The fighter can use all their resources in one round though, while the paladin can only use about half.

And feats fuck everything up as usual.
>>
>>51582086
If the dragon can cause a TPK with a single breath, my guess would be no
>>
>>51582169
>Oh, yeah, tell me about that
And you are assuming that the party won't just miss that seeing as CoS itself is huge?
Tell me, what reason do they have to run to, for example, Argynvostholt when they've only heard that it's a ruin?
>There are situations where the bla bla
Ah yes, just let me look up how many times we're going to face 15+ mobs with low health and bad dex saves. Fun fact, dex saves are usually the highest saves monsters have.

>I would hardly say it's delicate
It is a rocket tag. It is delicate as fuck.
>I mean, people talk of throwing a CR17 at a party of level 6s and it melting like butter
That CR17 was played horrendously wrong.

>You pull it out bla bla
Probably because if you are already in close combat with a dangerous opponent, having to stow away either your weapon or shield to pull out a flask that may or may not work and takes your entire round is complete insanity. Again, you don't seem to understand the importance of action economy.

>They've just been fucking told that holy water works on X, though. By the priest. Duh.
Again, since you've been telling them non-stop to think outside the box, why would they believe something that is just normal vampire fantasy?

>But.. That's exactly what I'm doing, none of the bullshit you're spouting.
What?
You're essentially rebalancing the entire system instead of changing a select few items.

>How is it fudging to follow logic
I see you're taking things out of context to try to avoid coming off as retarded. Hint: it was all the other shit like having a random old dude in the middle of the wilderness warning about a dragon.

You just can't seem to accept that it's a dumb idea. When the entire thread has been saying it, it's most likely true. Rework the entire idea.
>>
>>51582173
>Curse of Strahd gave you the tools to beat a bunch of monsters and then you face them.
Well, okay. I'm not saying I'm here to completely change Curse of Strahd and take out the tools but leave the vampires in, am I?

>Half damage every once in a number of fights for a couple of rounds until you work out how to beat something isn't reasonable damage
Oh, how terrible, the players were slightly slower to kill an encounter and thus had to use more of their hitdice afterwards. Good thing they don't fight these fights all day long like you imply.

>but it's level 17
Yes, but it exists.

>Try to consider the implications
I have, it's you here who seems to be thinking in the wrong mindset. The martials are getting a benefit they don't normally have considered (Bonus effectiveness from abusing an enemy's weakness), but they also have to 'SOMETIMES' face (note: I didn't say ALL THE TIME) things that they can't beat at 100% efficiency with their 'walk up and stab it until it dies' mentality.

>Okay there are this in the next room
If you're a shitty DM. Even if somehow the players don't know they're there to kill vampires, they'll at least get a hint as to the presence of undead by the smells, the atmosphere and the location. They'll see they're leading to a big final room and approach it with caution. If 5 things they can't face pop out, they slam the door and run or try to bottleneck them or something.
>>
>>51581637
It could be fun although it would vastly change the tone. It wouldn't really be Gothic Horror in the same way I'd think.
>>
>>51582355
>>51582294
How long are you guys going to keep this up?
>>
>>51582438
Hopefully it carries over and ruins the next thread too.
>>
>>51582294
>what reason do they have
I don't know, but it's something they can and would get and if they have it and it trivializes the rest of the campaign or skews party balance then that's not doing things properly. Sure, reward the character for finding something, but there's a limit to how much.

>Rocket tag
Kinda depends on how the DM builds things, but the DM should have a sense for when too much health would be too much, and monsters might not fight to the death anyway depending on what they are.

>Played horrendously wrong
But then how is the system delicate if even that creature can be beaten? If both a CR 6 and CR 12 can be a threat depending on how the DM plays it then it's starting to show instability.

>Takes your entire round
But you achieve other things in the process of doing it, such as dealing damage, even if it's not 100% optimal damage.

>Why would they believe something that is just normal vampire fantasy?
They're about to send their lives to their potential deaths. Why wouldn't they prepare for it just in case? They won't need the slime repellent or whatever other stupid thing would take up the space of the holy water or whatever it is.

>Rebalancing the entire system
Simply adding a few vulnerabilities, taking away some resistances or adding them. Depends what monsters are in. This isn't a 'take CoS and then change the monsters in it' exercise, it's not supposed to apply to already planned encounters.

The old man was one of many possibilities.
>>
File: Do you CATAN.png (148KB, 675x4241px) Image search: [Google]
Do you CATAN.png
148KB, 675x4241px
Howdy, /5eg/. I'm about to start a new campaign, and although I usually play a barbarian or rogue, or occasionally a bard or warlock, my group wants me to play an artificer. I'm happy to enjoy the fun gameplay of the artificer class, but I'm a bit unsure on how to play it. I was thinking of doing a tiefling artificer from a foreign land who had sort of a small time reputation as a pirate, but after his father/mentor dies, he has a crisis of identity, and decides to sail off to a new land and establish himself as a man of honor (more or less). Thoughts? Is this a good/bad backstory? Any details you think would improve it, or pitfalls to avoid? He'll obviously be a gunsmith, being a pirate and all. Is infernal better, or abyssal?
>>
>>51582491
Artificer is shit.
>>
>>51582355
>I'm not saying I'm here to completely change
So if you are running a module and the players fail to find a certain weapon, you'll take out an entire encounter?
What if they haven't found any of the magical weapons, do you take out Strahd completely aswell?
This is an example of a fudge.

>Oh, how terrible, the players were slightly slower to kill an encounter
What you do not understand is that I am not saying it will take longer, what I am saying is that 5e is built upon rocket tag.
Which means that if it takes longer than calculated to kill a mob, people are going to start to drop off like flies.
This is why the wizard is godtier. This is also why action economy is the most important thing in the entire game.

>Yes, but it exists.
You're never going to get to use it outside of DM fiat so it's completely moot, moving on.

>I have, it's you here who seems to be thinking in the wrong mindset.
You clearly haven't, since you are actively fighting against the entire thread telling you it's a really bad idea.
You also seem to severely underestimate the power of action economy. Action economy that you are making the players waste just to play your little game, while you're doing nothing to change the monsters damage output and even increasing their health in some regards it seems.

>they'll at least get a hint as to the presence of undead by the smells
You seem to believe that vampires are zombies.
Hint, they are not.
You seem to also think that vampires are BBEG and deserves an arena-sized room.
Hint, they are not.

Vampires are literally random mobs you can encounter in the right settings. That level of lethality is what you can expect as average at lvl 7 and above.
If you're for some reason going to give them leeway, let them know if there are dangerous things around, even REMOVING some encounters or not giving them a certain amount of mobs to fight, that is by all means of the word hand-holding them and fudging.
>>
>>51582471
Please tell me you're not enjoying this.

>>51582491
Gunsmith is a bit limited. Alchemist is more fun.
Artificer isn't so bad, I'd say.

The backstory doesn't sound too bad though, I guess pirates are sort of treasure hunters, the sort to get with a lot of magical items.
>>
>>51582520
Its starting to get a little stale, but it reminds me so much of people I have to interact with in real life circumstances.
>>
>>51582491
>>51582503

>Once you have expended a spell
slot to create a potion, you cannot regain that slot until the potion is consumed

Literally the stupidest drawback to a class ability. The potions aren't even that strong.
>>
>>51582485
>I don't know
Fantastic, we've established that then.
>it trivializes the rest of the campaign
Have you actually PLAYED CoS?

>Kinda depends on how the DM builds things
No, that's how the entire system is balanced. You'd have to rework the balancing on all of the mobs in order to fix that.
>But then how is the system delicate if even that creature can be beaten
If a party of lvl 6's defeats a CR17 monster, that was fudged to an insane degree by the DM. Realistically, a CR11 encounter against a lvl 9 party will give them a run for their money aswell as cut it close to death.

>But you achieve other things in the process of doing it, such as dealing damage
Again, the system is balanced around action economy and average damage. You seem intent on making your players waste action economy and do less damage, which will SEVERELY punish your party unless you pull DM fiats and give them less dangerous stuff to face.

>They're about to send their lives to their potential deaths. Why wouldn't they prepare for it just in case?
Because again, if nothing else have had the normal weaknesses, why would vampires?

>Simply adding a few vulnerabilities, taking away some resistances or adding them.
This is how players are killed.
You CANNOT, and I repeat, CANNOT fuck around with the balance like this.

>>51582438
Until he realizes that his idea is dumb. Which is never it seems, so hang on tight anon.
>>
>>51582587
That's the Eberron Artificer afaik, not the UA one.
>>
>>51582587
Wrong Artificer bub
>>
>>51582515
No, the encounter stays. The players might just have to accept that either they'll have to think of a different solution or avoid the encounter, or at worst resort to bruteforcing it and put themselves at a bit of risk.

>rocket tag
Players versus monsters doesn't feel too much like it. Sure, it lasts a few rounds, but it's not anywhere near as bad as say player versus player. The players still have plenty of time to get accustomed with their foe before, during and after fight.
>action economy
Yes, it's important. No, it's not very relevant because it only applies about as often as it'd apply normally to a character interacting with the environment, say wandering off to pull a lever to deactivate a trap mid-fight. It's situational and they might still achieve something even if it doesn't produce the desired result.

>The entire thread telling you it's a bad idea
The others gave up long ago after they probably got bored of it or I couldn't keep up with all the responses.
That said, I feel that was mostly built on misunderstandings of what was actually happening and at least one or two seemed content with the simplified version.

>vampires are zombies
It's possible their lairs may have SOMETHING that sets it apart from a normal human's.
>6 vampires in a setting where 6 vampires could easily kill 5 skilled adventurers is random encounter tier
It doesn't have to be an obvious hint, but it's bullshit to make something appear out of nowhere with no hints.
>>
File: wizardwithagun.jpg (119KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
wizardwithagun.jpg
119KB, 900x668px
>>51579703
>>51579860
>>51579884
>>51580101
>>51580535
>>51580684
>>51580806
>>51581001
>>51581100
>>51581262
>>51581376
someone give me the origin of this argument and summarize it for me please
failure to do so will delay UA another week
>>
>>51582673

Faggot A wanted to create a system where players must use the correct items from their vidya game-esque inventory to harm/kill monsters.

Faggot B flew into a rage explaining that this hurts martials further because wizards can just cast spells at things to mitigate the need for the item wanking.

It went further off the rails as both faggots began citing in-game examples as to why each other was retarded.
>>
The UA's still coming out on the 6th right?
>>
>>51582673
This guy gives a good summary:>>51582702

The argument started from here:>>51577525
>>
>>51582673
Here ya go:
>>51577525
Technically >>51577496
Its really self-explanatory
>>
>>51582702
i see
as a martialfag i guess i'll agree with faggot B by default
eat dicks, casterfags
>>
>>51582663
>Players versus monsters doesn't feel too much like it.
There is a reason why 90% of played campaigns are between 1 - 8. Rocket tag is the answer.

>Yes, it's important. No, it's not very relevant because it only applies about as often as it'd apply normally to a character interacting with the environment
But as you stated earlier, you're trying to make the party think outside of the box and work with trial and error.
This means a lot of wasted rounds. A LOT of wasted rounds, simply to find an answer to a problem that shouldn't even be there in the first place.

>That said, I feel that was mostly built on misunderstandings
I mean, I am fairly certain that we all understood what you mean by it, it's just that it won't work in practice without almost killing your group at nearly every encounter at higher levels. It just isn't feasible, it's TOO much.

>It's possible their lairs may have SOMETHING that sets it apart from a normal human's.
Why would a vampire, who's usually been alive for thousands of years, being of old aristocratic and wealthy origins, have decaying corpses where he lives?
>It doesn't have to be an obvious hint, but it's bullshit to make something appear out of nowhere with no hints.
But that's how it is, that's how a majority of campaigns are built and also how a majority of encounters are handled. Usually the only ones having a build up are incredibly hard or very RP intricate fights against a high ranking political enemy, or a BBEG or such.
Against mooks, such as vampires, that isn't the case. Well unless it's Strahd or someone of a similar stature that is.
>>
>>51582086
A single breath weapon use from the dragon would kill every one of them unless they all have resistance to the damage.
>>
Would letting the Dragonborn using his breath weapon as a bonus action make the race less trash?
>>
>>51582587
>a wizard that can heal, get around concentration limits on utility spells, and blow his short rest regen in the form of premade scrolls is shit
Artificer Wizard is the closest 5e wizards get to old-school godwizards, anon.
>>
>>51582702
Being faggot B, it's more the fact that the system in question is impinging on how action economy is handled, how monsters are balanced, how int checks are handled since 90% of the classes dump int, how the fact that if they don't make the save, they have to guess the weakness etc.

The idea is interesting, the implementation thus far is incredibly problematic and will only serve to sour the life of anyone playing a martial character.
>>
>>51582776

ay fuck you pal dragonborn are great
>>
>>51582826
>here, let me waste my action for the turn using my breath weapon to do fuck all
>oh btw the breath weapon is my special feature and is the reason I don't get any sweet bonuses or traits like a Half Elf does
>>
>>51582776
Is Dragonborn even that bad?
If you don't compare it to variant human, it's fine on a sorc or paladin.
But you can't compare anything the variant human
>>
File: 1255725059376.jpg (31KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1255725059376.jpg
31KB, 600x400px
>>51582836

i get to be this, but in a suit of armor

there's your special feature you fucking egg
>>
>>51582826
>racial ability score improvements limits them to be paladins to be the most optimized
>resistance to one damage and a shitty damage breath weapon
yeah that sure is great buddy, why be a human to get a free feat+skills+customizable ability scores
>>
>>51582836
imo I've seen martial dragonborn use the breath weapon to great effect when fighting swarms of enemies, and the damage inflicted was worth an action. Just requires tactical thinking like any other attack.
>>
File: 1481048858956.jpg (834KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1481048858956.jpg
834KB, 1214x1239px
>>51577496
Kill yourself dick stick. Bounded accuracy leaves everyone feeling like a chump and linear progression of equipment is a natural and fun aspect of hack and slash combat RPGs.
>>
>>51582842
>>51582861

They're trash.

+3 ASI, standard.

The save for their breath attack is a joke (The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus). The resistance is the best part about them, really.

But compare that to a half elf.

+4 ASI.
Dark vision.
Sleep immunity.
Charm resistant.
Two free skill proficiencies.

Or even a Bugbear, that gets +5 foot reach and a free fucking sneak attack.
>>
I'm running a campaign for 3 girls, who have never played DnD but all are very gun-ho about playing.
Should I just do a simple almost cliche campaign or go with the one ive been making? I don't know which would catch them more.
>>
>>51582897
Lost Mines of Philadelphia.
>>
>>51582897
Depends if they're Stacies or like, kinda dumpy Dr. Who fans.

If Stacies, hit them up with those cliches famalam. Nerdgirls, give them the actual campaign and watch in horror as they act twice as worse as male players in regards to asshattery.
>>
>>51582897
Just put an introductory short campaign (town + dungeon) in your world. That way they can get their feet wet and then move on to whatever you've worked on
>>
>>51582813
Well, look at this way.

Normally an encounter would be built at a level where everyone has magical items:

5% chance of resistance to martial attacks.
5% chance of having a vulnerability a martial could abuse, or an item, magical item or something in the scenery they could use.

These are pretty arbitary percentages, but it's really up to the DM.

Now, what I want to do is say, for example,
15% chance a monster resists martial attacks
maybe 30% chance a monster might have some vulnerability to be played into

If I get the numbers wrong, I can always up the vulnerability or up or down the resistance rate, but, there's also the problem I'm thinking from an 'encounter building' perspective rather than something like a 'predefined module' perspective, and that the sort of style is less designed for you to kill literally everything anyway.

It's not nerfing martials. It's nerfing OR buffing them, depending on how the balance goes.

>>51582761
It's even less rocket tag-ey once the healers start healing the downed players and you have enemies with resistances to things such as elements or attacks or spells or whatever.

>A lot
Only for some encounters, and you can still get somewhere in the process.

>fairly certain we all understood
Even I didn't have a 100% idea of what I was talking about. It's mostly theory, 'what if I built encounters more like this and said fuck magic items'.

>Been alive thousands of years
Well, there'll be evidence of this, somehow, in the house.
>>
>>51582897
Lost Mines of Philemon, my dog.
>>
File: 1410369983707.jpg (47KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1410369983707.jpg
47KB, 500x378px
>>51582836
>>51582867
>>51582894
>numbers and winning is all that matters
>i just want to see big numbers not play a story and have fun

If that really is all you want, then fine, whatever, keep that shit quarantined in your gaggle of powergamers. You're not wrong, you're just an asshole.
>>
>>51582960
Oh, and the idea is that generally a martial will have a better time exploting that weakness. If it's a weapon, the martial has better grounds to use that. If they have to swing about the scenery for whatever reason, a rogue or monk might be good at it though I guess a wizard might be able to spend a spell for it.

>>51582761
Well, maybe the DM of a campaign wants the vampire to not be a mook, and if it keeps resistance to physical damage (it might not) then it might not be if it's harder to bypass that.
>>
File: 1485635299976.png (58KB, 239x402px) Image search: [Google]
1485635299976.png
58KB, 239x402px
>>51582875
>>
File: slk.gif (994KB, 400x367px) Image search: [Google]
slk.gif
994KB, 400x367px
>dming a dungeon
>paladin/rogue rolling nuts on being sneaky breeky like
>paladin/rogue divine smite sneak attacking
>they crit
>>
>>51582971
You're a complete cockpop.

There's nothing that says they have to be mutually exclusive. Why the fuck can't I have a dragonman that ISN'T stinking shit?

If he had his breath attack as a bonus action and got like +1 AC for having dragonscales instead of skin, he'd be more interesting.

Or even better, have the color of dragonman you are affects more than just breath and instead have it affect your +1 ASI.

But no, no, I just want to be a dragonman, who fucking cares that it's terrible.
>>
>>51582971
you said dragonborn were good, they're not, they need to be rebalanced to actually be fucking good
people like you are why we can't have balanced things
>>
>>51583040
This reminds me, would an Assassin/Treachery multiclass be good for FUCKING OBLITERATING shit with sneak attacks?
>>
What are some good uses of a Rogue Thief's Fast Hand ability? I have no idea of what practical application "Use an Object" has in battle.
>>
>>51582960
>It's not nerfing martials. It's nerfing OR buffing them, depending on how the balance goes.
The issue is not the vulnurability or resistance system, it's that your system is adding a lot of tax to the action economy system which impacts efficiency and survivability a lot more than facing things with resistances due to how rocket tag it is.

>It's even less rocket tag-ey once the healers start healing the downed players
Most parties don't have a dedicated healer. We've come a far way from the typical fighter, wizard, cleric, rogue party.

>Only for some encounters, and you can still get somewhere in the process
The issue is how much it ends up being in an encounter. If they effectively waste 2 - 3 rounds trying to find the weakness, that is a lot of damage and survivability being poured down the drain while the enemy is free to keep wailing on them.

>It's mostly theory, 'what if I built encounters more like this and said fuck magic items'.
Aye I understand, you just need to realize that magic items are integral to how they've calculated CR and monster power. If you're starving them of magical items, they will struggle a lot, even with your system.

My DM tried something similar back when we were still playing Pathfinder. This was something like 6 years ago or so. The end result was a TPK at level 7 or so. Hell, we practically lived in the church between level 5 and 7 due to how much we were getting beaten up due to using action economy for anything other than damage or control.

>Well, there'll be evidence of this, somehow, in the house.
Well sure, old pictures and a lot of dust in the less used areas of course, but most vampires will keep it neat and tidy.
I mean, wouldn't you? You're afterall living in there.
>>
>>51583010
>Well, maybe the DM of a campaign wants the vampire to not be a mook
Well, again, I did put the notion that in certain situations it'll be a build up in case it's someone like Strahd.
But the situation in question were vampire mooks, which generally won't have a huge build-up leading to them because they're just mooks. Sure they're deadly, but deadly encounters are something you should be running into a lot if you're DMing.
>>
there's a guy in my new group who DIDN'T roll a half elf, variant human, or mountain dwarf

I'm thinking of having words with the DM because I can see this unoptimized moron just dragging us down in combat
>>
>>51583129
Nice meme, but there's actually still a lot of valid races depending on your class.

Halfling for maximum Luck dick swinging wizard.

Tiefling (particularly Feral)

Goblins make excellent rogues, etc.
>>
>>51583071
Sure, if you manage to set up a surprise attack.

>>51583073
Throwing caltrops, ball bearings, pick a lock as a bonus action or disarm/set off a trap, sleight of hand someones weapon as a bonus action and hit them with it.
That's about it really. Potions are counted as magical items so you can't use those. You can't really throw flasks or bombs because that'd count as an improvised weapon attack according to the rules, and can't use magic devices either.
>>
>>51583129
Nice meme loser, there's plenty of other good races that aren't fucking dragonborn
>>
>>51583149
>sleight of hand someones weapon as a bonus action and hit them with it.

wat

Is this feasible?
>>
>>51583149
This reminds me of another related question-
Do you get "Surprise" on a charmed target?

ie:
>Charm some poor schmuck
>They think you're their friend and aren't expecting an attack
>Get murdered when they turn around to look at something else/an "enemy"
>>
>>51583082
Firstly, if you prepare out of combat, there is no action economy. Not every monster is dealt with in-combat.
You can set up a lure, something to repel monsters away, throw a bomb into their hive, set up a trap, pour oil all over the room and set fire to it.
If you do it in combat, then having to use some of your time is sort of the penalty, but if it's a case of simply using your object interactions then it's hardly much of a penalty to action economy, and if on that 15% of the time you're losing out on 50% of your damage until you find a way past it, then it's too bad you didn't prepare beforehand... OR, maybe there wasn't much you could do in the first place, much like with monsters that have resistance to ALL physical damage. .. Not that those are common once you have magical weapons, but if martials could deal with it before they had magical weapons they can deal with it sometimes after they get magical weapons if they're suitably compensated, so the only question is how well they're compensated unless you believe they'll really have no fun on the rare occasions they do reduced damage.
If there is a weakness and they fail to find it, there'll be more chances to compensate themselves and it'll work out, hopefully.

>Dedicated healer
You don't need a dedicated healer, just a single point of HP, though it's easier as a bonus action. There are a fair few sources of healing.
>>
File: 1479365986861.jpg (62KB, 546x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479365986861.jpg
62KB, 546x800px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html

5etools' items page now supports multiple item types and appropriate filtering. Of note: simple and martial weapon typing has been added.
>>
File: 1485838539543.gif (356KB, 466x350px) Image search: [Google]
1485838539543.gif
356KB, 466x350px
>>51583212
Righteous
>>
Is there a feat/background that lets me scoop up a cantrip?
>>
>>51583231
Feat: magic initiate.

Backgrounds: none.
>>
>>51583231
Spell Sniper if you can already cast a spell
>>
>>51583082
>>51583208
I'm also not sure magical weapons are calculated much into the CR for higher monsters. I imagine somewhat, but nothing like the really powerful magical items. Even then, there will be magical items, and they will help the martials in general, it just won't be of the flavour 'you no longer have to worry about resistances anywhere near as much'
The deal with something like pathfinder is I think it's a lot more magic item reliant. In 5e, magic items are for the most part a sort of 'extra' in the realms of the DM - there are no solid crafting rules or proper slots for items or magic item shops. 5e still expects a few, and definitely right now assumes martials will have at least something to get past resistances and eventually adamantine, but I'd be merely accomodating them with something else, I suppose.

>old house
I'm sure people (if people will even talk to you) will talk about how there's a number of mysterious people who seem to have lived there forever, though it really depends. They might not have.
The players might find dead bodies drained of blood freshly buried outside (if you tell them there's what seems to be a freshly covered mound of dirt and then tell them there's a shovel by the gate once they get there), or.. Something. Anything, really, that'll clue them in to what they're about to face.

If they don't get it then tough, they'll have to think of a plan on the fly.
>>
If I'm a Changeling and I shift myself to look like, say the Mayor, and cast Friends on people and then run away and shift back to myself, do all of these people wanna kill the mayor now, or do they somehow know it was me?
>>
>>51583180
Technically yes. It might be inferior to just throwing the weapon away though, but I am fairly sure it'd work.

>>51583193
Not sure if there's a rule to backup that, but as a DM I'd allow it.

>>51583208
>Firstly, if you prepare out of combat, there is no action economy.
That is assuming that they already know what they're dealing with and have figured out a reliable strategy beforehand. My example is assuming when you first run into them. You will always have a first encounter of a certain monster, and it gets considerably more lethal the higher in levels you go.
>hopefully.
There is a lot riding on that word. As stated before, the issue isn't really the resistance mechanic, it's the action economy. Sure if they know what it is beforehand and have a strategy then GG, but if they run into a brand new monster at lvl8+, there is a very real possibility that they'll go down before they find a weakness. Despite how much you compensate someone, a dead adventurer won't be doing any damage or anything at all really.

>There are a fair few sources of healing.
Well, if you haven't got a cleric, bard, paladin or artificer, it gets considerably more scarce. Can't really rely on health potions since they're expensive as hell to keep buying and they cost just as much to create.

>>51583212
Doing Gods work anon, thank you.
>>
>>51583193
You still technically have to roll stealth so the friend doesn't see you creeping up on them and still have to roll initiative and not have them beat you on
initiative, and RAI you can't restart combat

But what I do is
'If all opponents are surprised by a group, the group may act in any order they please in a unique 'surprise round'. Initiative is rolled after the 'surprise round' instead.'
This prevents people from just trying to restart combat or trying to attack, then not attacking because they didn't go first on intiative. If one enemy is not surprised, that enemy could potentially wail on everyone trying to do the ambush and gets to take an action even if the surprised people don't, so you wouldn't have had a chance to restart initiative anyway.
>>
File: 1479286355254.jpg (36KB, 311x445px) Image search: [Google]
1479286355254.jpg
36KB, 311x445px
I've sort of confused myself again /5eg/.

How many spell slots would a 5 Paladin / 1 Warlock have?
>>
>>51583278
>In 5e, magic items are for the most part a sort of 'extra' in the realms of the DM
Even though 5e is for sure less reliant on magical items, there's still a reliance on them. I mean there's a reason why CoS for example has mandatory Sun Sword and really powerful relics.
Also keep in mind that your system is effectively changing what people have been getting out of D&D since the 70's, which is getting awesome magical items. Note that the items doesn't even have to do much, my party still gets hella excited about even a random magical item even if it doesn't even have a +1. It's even better if you have to attune to it.

5e has a lot more options of making magical items cool. Especially since sentience and having to attune to them are things in 5e.

>If they don't get it then tough, they'll have to think of a plan on the fly.
Aye, therein lies the issue regarding action economy in your system.
Let's say they don't have a reliable source of information about vampires, and they didn't expect to run into one or three of them. Having to go through rounds just trying to find the right tool to fight them becomes super dangerous simply due to how the creatures are balanced, since they are balanced around a party having a specific average damage and specific average CR, and most higher level encounters are balanced with spellcasters in mind.

When you might not have either, it suddenly becomes a lot more lethal.
Granted this up to the DM to modify, but those are modifications you mostly only have to do if you implement your system since by the time you're facing vampires, you usually have atleast one or two magical weapons.
>>
>>51583299
>they already know what they're dealing with
Knowing what they're dealing with is their reward for studying and paying attention.
They ask an NPC, look around the environment, send a scout ahead, smell the air, try to work out what monsters might come alongside the monsters they've already seen..
I'll admit not every monster you'll have a chance to learn about before you meet it, but in that case you'll either get a chance to retreat or still beat it anyway and learn about it before you face more of them, hopefully.
I'd be more worried about it at lower levels though with less HP and less failsafes when it comes to spellcasting.

>They'll go down before they find a weakness
That's mostly about balancing encounters, then, with ones that might not have their weaknesses exploited bieng slightly harder.
That said, if I were to run something, I'd rather do a dungeon where they're not forced to fight everything, multiple routes to get to the final point and at most they might not get the loot it's guarding. They can run if it seems too hard, or even fight it because the real penalty to a hard fight is not their death, but the fact they're now worn out and have low HP and can't delve deeper into the dungeon without risking their lives of facing more of what they just fought that they have no idea how to beat. In which case, tactical retreat back, rest up and work up a plan.

>If you haven't got healing..
Honestly I also don't like the death save -> healing system, but..
>>
>>51583350
You would have the slots of a 1st-level warlock and a 5th-level paladin.

Warlock levels don't count for multiclass spellcasting.
>>
File: orctraits.png (339KB, 367x510px) Image search: [Google]
orctraits.png
339KB, 367x510px
>>51582894
OK, I guess you're right in that there are few situations in which one would say "I wish I was a dragonborn," but I don't think I'd call them trash.

Trash would be if they were statted like the Orc PC from Volo's, which I'm aware is not intended for normal play.
>>
>>51583403
Orc Barbarian is doable. S'about it though. I'd probably actually sooner build an Orc PC than a Dragonborn PC because Aggressive and Powerful Build are baller as fuck.
>>
How badly do Land Druids suck?
>>
>>51583466
not terribly, they are still druids, after all.
>>
why dont you just talk to your DM instead of complaining that not every race in existence can be fully optimized
>>
>>51583400
>I'd be more worried about it at lower levels though with less HP and less failsafes when it comes to spellcasting.
Lower levels really are Rusty Shank Town area, but it becomes equally true at higher levels simply due to how much damage some monsters can pump out. At lvl 8, my rogue took 92 damage in a round while having 57 hp, and that was with Uncanny Dodge halving one of the attacks.

>I'd rather do a dungeon where they're not forced to fight everything
If I were to run with your system, I'd most likely do the same. I'd probably give a hint that scouting and sneaking will have a bigger emphasis in (insert this campaign name) than usually and to have the players take that into consideration. Gives them a bit more leeway to gather information and not dunk them into a situation where they might get killed trying to find the weakness.

I apologize for flying off the handle earlier, but since I have been in a campaign doing something similar, I just have to say that you really have to find the right group.
Most of my group ended up just frustrated and not enjoying it because it meant a lot of time being spent doing stuff other than progressing.
>>
>>51583369
I think back in those years magical items were probably more macguffin-ish, but I could be wrong. With negative ACs that are incredibly hard to hit, can understand needing a magical weapon to hit that, but..
The deal is to still hand out items. Say, there's a cavern filled with a few air elementals somewhere, and an old adventurer who's a friend of the players who is helping them out tells them that he lost his sword in there which is great for fighting them. He warns them of what he knows of what's in there so players can avoid falling into stupid traps or wasting turns doing weak attacks. So, the players might run from the air elementals until they find that sword, if they find it, but they might not necessarily end up fighting them at all. They might try to keep them distracted, take their stuff and then run out.
And if they have that sword and get to keep it, the next time I want to throw in something similar that can't be beaten easily with physical weapons I don't then have to say 'okay, it's also resistant to magical weapons' every time.

>vampires
If I think it's going to outright kill the players ift hey aren't completely prepared, it probably won't be in there unless it's some super bossfight. The main idea is to deter the players from engaging in fights they know they'll lose, but encourage them that they could beat it if they know what they're doing and make a tactical retreat or something, or that their reward isn't death but being weaker for later.
>>
>>51583478
Because there's a handful of races that patently shit on the other choices, which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.

Each race SHOULD be a perfect fit for at least one class. Especially if they're not getting a feat out of the deal like V.Humans.

>oh cool we're using stat array and this class's 3 ASI aren't distributed to ANYTHING useful and I don't get a feat
>Yes I'll pick this class even though it might make me dead weight in the party
>>
>>51583437
I agree that it's doable, but I guess I just don't favor Aggressive as much as I probably should.
Like Dragonborn, Orc is just outdone by other races, except I'd argue it has more overlap and thus less reason to use it.
Unlike Dragonborn, it also has negative racial ASIs.

To be clear, I still think they can both be fun.
>>
>>51583505
There's probably some cheese possible with a Thief Orc using his bonus actions to beeline around the battlefield towards enemies.
>>
>>51583488
>Say, there's a cavern filled with a few air elementals somewhere, and an old adventurer who's a friend of the players who is helping them out
You can do it that way, though that runs the risk of making them feel like less of adventurers if they get a heads up about what's in (insert area here).

>The main idea is to deter the players from engaging in fights they know they'll lose, but encourage them that they could beat it if they know what they're doing and make a tactical retreat or something
That is a hard, HARD concept to beat into them.
Mostly because most things will be doing so much damage at higher levels that even if you reinforce the idea that they can find the weakness if they search, they might end up having to withdraw several times, and at that point it just becomes tedious trying to bypass this one thing.

Would also be strange if the creatures in question would stay in the same place after the party runs into them after the second time due to them not finding the weakness before almost getting killed.
>>
>>51583540
Aggressive uses your bonus action, and Cunning Action already lets you dash, among other things.
>>
>>51583484
>92 damage at level 8
That sounds pretty harsh, had a rogue get unlucky the last session I was a player in and they got a couple of hard hits to the face and went down in a single round, but that was more around ~22-ish HP (they were already low from a previous event) down to ~-15ish if negative HP is even a thing.

I think throwing out those high damage monsters is kind of a bad idea in the first place. The DM should be focusing on wittling down the player HP resources over time, so that they don't go from 100% to 0% in a matter of a moment, but have the chance to realize they're goona get fucked up if they're swarmed.

And, I mean, I apologize too, my original intent was mostly just shittalking and being angry at generic magical items and such. I still have the tales and calculations from the first time I heard of that goddamn +2 sword of double damage, because it just seems like.. An incredibly un-fun way to play, given that half of the player's damage feels like it's just a gift from the DM rather than the player's own doing. Also DMs who throw in a bunch of +1 weapons for everyone like power bloat.
I mean, I wouldn't mind so much in an actual game, I guess, but I'm here to get angry and yell at people all day.
>>
>>51577587
I wish someone would help me out be evaluating this.
>>
>>51583620
>That sounds pretty harsh
Aye, it's what happens when you run into larger enemies at higher levels. Enemy in question was a gargantuan roc.
The way going down works in 5e is that, let's say you have 55 hp. If you take 70 hp, you go down but your health is set to 0 and each attack you take after that will trigger a failed death save.
If you however take 110 damage, which is double your health, you outright die with no saves. So it's a lot more lenient with death than 3.5/Pathfinder etc.
>I think throwing out those high damage monsters is kind of a bad idea in the first place.
I agree that rocket-tag is a dumb thing, but it's unfortunately how it starts being built at higher levels because player characters become so strong. This is where magical items also comes in, since most of the rocket-tag bloat at higher levels are due to counting spellcasters and powerful magic items in to the mix.

>And, I mean, I apologize too
Aye that's fine, but hey you can just rework the greatsword if it feels too powerful.
Another thing you can do is to give them less magical weapons, but to emphasize the importance of them.
Seeing as you have to attune to certain items in 5e, you can have that tie into a plotline. Or have the sword take a liking to a certain character due to semi-sentience, or have items that gets progressively stronger/more things it can do the stronger the character gets.
You can do a lot with magic items in 5e if you're a DM, the only thing limiting you is your imagination.
>>
>>51583583
Well, the idea is to give them enough of the hints, but leave half of the puzzle unsolved.
'It's weak to X, but I don't have any anymore.'
'But we don't have any X, do we?'
'Well, I think we have something like it. Let's look to see if we see any in the dungeon.'
Obviously, you don't want to hand it to them on a plate, and the players should be aware they're in for a harder fight without.

>Hard concept
I feel it's a lot easier to make players not engage in a fight than to get them to run from a fight.
In a game I DMed, the players were too worn out after one fight to face some goblins. They also weren't 100% sure what was around the corner, so they decided to back off, but the goblins were too scared too to initiate combat, so it was sort of a 'both sides know this won't end badly' thing.
But the real hard part is retreat when combat has already started. They might leave a slow person behind, they might not outrun the enemies, the other party members might try to stay and fight.. The worst thing is if you waste all your actions getting away for nothing. For that.. I suppose make sure there are always escape options. Doors to close, for example.

>might become tedious
Well, the idea is there may be multiple solutions to bypass something. Just bolting past an enemy and praying they don't trigger any traps, for example.

>Creature would stay in the same place
Hopefully they can vaguely track its movements, lock a door or something and find a safe spot.
>>
>>51583716
>Well, the idea is to give them enough of the hints, but leave half of the puzzle unsolved.
"Fire works well, arisen!"
Aye, that would work, but you'd have to walk the line of not giving them too much but making sure it's enough for them to get an idea of what to do.

>I feel it's a lot easier to make players not engage in a fight than to get them to run from a fight.
That is true. It does depend on the party though, if one player is more Rambo than the others like in my group, you can end up in really bad situations.

>Well, the idea is there may be multiple solutions to bypass something.
Just watch out for burn-out. Having to figure out multiple ways to overcome a certain monster can get taxing on you quite fast.

>Hopefully they can vaguely track its movements, lock a door or something and find a safe spot.
Hm, that might work, though if it's a larger open cave area, it might spell out a fair bit of trouble if they can't find the weakness within 3 tries so to speak.
>>
>>51583713
>unfortunately that's how it is
But I believe you could avoid it if you paced things properly. Your main enemy is the player's resources, and draining them slowly. It's not about getting the players down to 0 in one encounter, but over perhaps a few encoutners. It'll prevent them from dying to an unusually hard enemy, but the fight will still punish them by forcing the players to be more cautious and not take risks for extra loot on the same day.

At least, that ideology works great in a dungeon because clearing the dungeon with hardly any damage taken means you don't have to fear clearing out all the siderooms, but only barely clearing the dungeon gives you success but the bittersweetness of leaving the loot behind, providing you can't just waltz right back in after a rest.

And pretty much all those mentions of things to do with magical items are being done all at once with another DM I have. It's good that the items play a key part and aren't just another flat bonus hiding under the player's shirt somewhere that never gets seen, but the problem I tend to have is often there isn't a reason not to use the items.
>>
>>51583690
imo you need to calm the fuck down
Too many skills and abilities, when is this dude gonna have time to run through all those? Most combats are under 5 rounds.
What is the the skill bloat? Arcana+0? That doesn't need to even be there yo
Saving throws are in addition to modifiers
Damage Resistances should be to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing ect
Take your CR questions here:
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

But looks like with your dude that can attack 6 times per round, it is gonna be a game of rocket tag.
>>
>>51577587
I think you and your furry friends should go back to /pfg/
>>
>>51583840
I mean you could probably "pace it out" by throwing a lot of lower level mobs at them to make them use their resources and wittle them down.
Most of the higher level monsters run into the issue of doing tons of damage. There are some that can be used like spellcasters and some gimmicky monsters that uses invisibility or such because those generally aren't made for damage races.

One thing you can do is to get random mooks like goblins and hobgoblins.. but make them possessed and/or mindcontrolled.
By that I mean slap a better version of the zombie mechanic on them, where they have to roll a save in order to actually die or not. Does wonders in setting atmosphere and mood aswell as draining resources since it can just not die for a lot of rounds while still not be that dangerous.
Of course this is a bit niche, but it's a nice idea I've been dying to try out on my party.

>problem I tend to have is often there isn't a reason not to use the items.
Well, of course, it is afterall a magical item. I mean most magical items in fiction tends to never go unused. You can still however weave in that other options or tactics might be more effective in certain circumstances.
>>
>>51583825
If the players are a bit too weak to stop their teammate from doing stupid things...
I suppose they might have to learn through death, or they might get captured and taken as a hostage. If they were up against some very smart monsters, it could actually happen that monsters in the dungeon demand the players give all the gold back that was stolen from the dungeon in exchange for their teammate they took hostage.
But yes, more importantly, the main issue is one player can completely ruin everything. I guess the best idea is if you're going for something more hardcore to do a 'Your character's saftey first and playing properly, then the roleplaying is secondary. You must justify your actions in-character but you don't have to be stupid because your character is stupid' and then.. Train the players to... Not do something stupid?
.. That's definitely the biggest problem. If you run a soft game, that's fine, though I've seen some soft games where someone will get angry that this one guy keeps getting ressurected by bullshit. But with a hardcore game, if you have soft players, that's kinda hard to fix. I suppose you have to be careful with players.

>burn-out
As long as there's a lot of props and the weakness isn't too specific/rare, players might always surprise you, I guess. Also some universal 'sneak by/find another way past' sort of things.

>Large cave area
At the very least they can come back the way they came, but that might not always work.
>>
>>51584007
>>51584007
>>51584007
>>
File: a game with death.jpg (433KB, 1024x499px) Image search: [Google]
a game with death.jpg
433KB, 1024x499px
>>51582491
New idea on the backstory: The character is the offspring of a tiefling mother who is part of a small community of tieflings who make a living as pirates during the off season of crops and a human artificer father. Although they never had a true romantic relationship, they didn't dislike each other and kept in touch via the character. The character would tend to alternate between one or the other, as each thought the other's environment was too dangerous (ie; his pirating life gets him kidnapped and his apprenticeship costs him a hand his dad has to replace with a mechanical one), leading to experience as an artificer and a pirate. Having been about 2 years since he saw his father, he receives word that he died in an experiment gone awry. The beginning of the campaign would be the beginning of his journey to see his human family and receive whatever inheritance or closure awaits him, but presumably it takes a lot longer than he anticipates and leads to something of a crisis of identity. Also as a result of this dual parenthood, he would have an infernal and human name, only giving his infernal name to those he considered essentially family. Thoughts?
>>
>>51583073

Goes great with the Healer feat.
>>
>>51578549
Zemo?
>>
>>51579314
It doesn't.

Rogue yes. Swash no.
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.