[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Bard Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 43

File: 1478907574050.jpg (131KB, 700x845px) Image search: [Google]
1478907574050.jpg
131KB, 700x845px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51555274

Tell me about your bard shenanigans!
>>
>>51570111
Never played on in 5e. Only Bard I ever played was in 3.5 and he had every skill and his Perform was whistling, so did different tunes whilst dual-wielding knives
>>
>Rogue gets Longsword prof
>can't even sneak attack with it
Y tho?
>>
>>51570249
Without sounding too much like an antique meme, because longswords are long. Shits hard to maneuver
>>
File: 1462533282729.gif (1MB, 392x400px) Image search: [Google]
1462533282729.gif
1MB, 392x400px
>>51570111
Finished a high level campaign as Bard 19/Dragon Sorc 1

Showed up as an eager but lazy student at a mage's college, ended up as an ancient silver dragon with a silver dragon simulacrum. I was ascended to god status, with my simulacrum becoming my avatar.

The legendary twin silver dragons wandered through the planes, sharing stories of the group's heroic efforts and visited the other party mates in their personal demiplanes when they had free time. with no realm to rule over, we kind of just wandered around doing whatever we felt like

Also, as a dragon, my horde consisted of horny college girls.
>>
>>51570276
And rapiers aren't?

Weightwise they're not too far apart, at least in reality.
>>
>>51570302
Maybe. But in game rapiers are basically toothpicks of death
>>
So the question was asked in the last thread, but how do people feel about the published adventures?
>Curse of Strahd
>Lost Mine of Phandelver This one is a freebie
>Storm King's Thunder
>Princes of the Apocalypse
>Out of the Abyss
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat

I've always heard negatively about the Dragons. What exactly is wrong with it?
>>
>>51570358

>I've always heard negatively about the Dragons.

Very railroady, one of the first encounters is a laser guided scenario of inescapable death for anyone remotely paladinly, and it focuses on a plot that yanks you all across the map rather than just being a good site based adventure.
>>
>>51570302
The longsword isn't an estoc, it's a hand and a half sword, which is definitely heavier than a rapier.

Also ultimately because swashbuckler needed a rapier.
>>
>>51570358
Curse of Strahd is pretty cool, but I wish it came with a Ravenloft setting primer for 5e, even if it was just the core.
>>
>>51570358
Speaking personally, I don't like that HotDQ has the party immediately encounter a dragon, so that they have no practical option but to try and tiptoe their way around to get where they're going. I'm not saying fighting a dragon at level one should be practical, but having no true choice of action in an RPG blows as it is without the only real course being 'be afraid of this or die'. It's also a pretty shitty situation to put new players in.
>>
What beginner map maker do you guys recommend.

is it hiding in the OP? I'm fucking searching.
>>
>Warlock gains a third spell slot at seventh level, a fourth spell slot at thirteenth level, and a fifth spell slot at nineteenth level
>Gains Eldritch Blast as a class feature; is no longer a spell, does not count against cantrips known
>Pact boon invocations are simply features of the pact, invocations without a level prerequisite are gained at 5th level
>Invocations no longer use a spell slot

Just off the top of my head. Thoughts?
>>
>>51570469
> doesn'tfixbladelock.gif
Maybe make them auto gain EB or a pact weapon and scrap Bladelock as a book choice?
>>
>>51570469
All of that at once sounds like overkill to me

Are Warlocks really that bad?
>>
>>51570377
Not THAT heavier. rapiers and longswords are mostly the same weight, not going pass the 4 pounds/1.8 kilos mark most of the times.

Would it be game breaking to make an estoc with the same stats as a longsword but with finesse? The rogue wouldn't be able to use TWF without the feat, and even then he would still have something similar to the rapier (d8).
>>
>>51570358
Are you asking out of curiosity, or are you considering which one to run? Because I would run LMoP for new players every time. SKT is my favorite 5e adventure, but it can be led into from LMoP with ease.
>>
>>51570523
I'm running LMoP already, so just out of curiosity.
>>
>>51570516
>Same stats as a longsword but with finesse
Rapier is already a d8, does it really need to have versatile, too?
>>
File: Wizard Girl.jpg (140KB, 1375x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard Girl.jpg
140KB, 1375x2048px
Is a 1st level dip in Cleric overpowered if I'm going Wizard the rest of the way?
>>
>>51570516
A one pound difference on a sword is a huge, noticeable deal.
>>
>>51570579
As long as you don't pick Forge Domain it's fine
>>
>>51570590
I was thinking Arcana or Knowledge.

Honestly it's mostly because the Theurge subclass is all wonky, and I can't get my re-write to... work.
>>
File: 1243546567.jpg (7KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
1243546567.jpg
7KB, 194x259px
>>51570423
cover your dick and roll it across the paper seems to be the agreed upon way to do it.
The veins are the rivers, just fyi
>>
File: 1469144793129.jpg (13KB, 247x243px) Image search: [Google]
1469144793129.jpg
13KB, 247x243px
>>51570111
>post here about 2 weeks ago about dieing to a shambling mound while playing Horde of the Dragon Queen
>make a new character, an artificer
>tonight's session, inspect some muck pile, a Otyugh grabs my new characters ankle
>kills him in two turns

Am I a complete retard, is the DM a dickhead, or is this campaign hard?
>>
>>51570582
Yes, but rapiers and longsword aren't that different in weight, one is just a specialized version of the other, and a lot of the weight goes to the hilt to slide the center of mass closer to the handle and make it better for thrusting.

If we're talking about a smallsword then yes, they're lighter than a longsword, but they're also lighter and smaller than rapiers.

>>51570569
You wouldn't be able to use with GWM, since it's not heavy. The only problem I see would be with GWF, and it would buff dex fighters and paladins, but versatile weapons aren't that great mechanically to begin with.
>>
File: Lafftears.jpg (49KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
Lafftears.jpg
49KB, 390x310px
>>51570608
>>
>>51570608
aight. Meant for hand dungeon crafting. I'm sick of random generating.
>>
>>51570622
get paranoid motherfucker

world is out to kill you
>>
>>51570622
sounds like the campaign is hard
challenge rating 4 is pretty high for low lvl chars
Were you lvl 2? If so that's obscenely high for you
>>
>>51570654
One pound lighter than a longsword isn't a smallsword, smallswords are barely one pound to begin with. A one and half sword, which is 5e's longsword (not the old oakeshot) is absolutely going to be heavier than a rapier by easily a pound.
>>
>>51570695
What are the chances Wiztards releases a revised Sorc on monday?

What are the chances Wizards releases a UA on monday?
>>
>>51570423
If you're talking about world maps - or at least mapping out sections of your world map at a time - the one I've used is called hexographer. It's free with an option to pay for some more features, but it lets you make maps on a hex grid and be just descriptive enough that it gets you a solid idea for how your world looks.

As for dungeon maps, basically grid paper, pencils, and erasers.
>>
>>51570695
I was a level 5 against the thing, once I was grappled it was over, basically because of the room it was in was so small
we've gone through 3 iterations of the party trying to slog through this, and I've died the most. Including npcs the DM has started putting into the party to help us.
>>
>>51570709
aight. already got a DM book full of notes, guess it's time to get a dungeon book.
>>
File: IMG_1537.jpg (122KB, 600x1037px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1537.jpg
122KB, 600x1037px
>>51570510
He basically just wants to play a wizard
>>
>>51570709
>It's free with an option to pay for some more features
An anon posted cracks for it, Dungeonographer, and Cityographer a while ago. Lemme dig them up.
>>
>>51570510
They might be.

Until 11th level, Warlocks have just 2 spells slots to work with. Unless you're taking a short rest after every encounter, the other casters can easily beat you in a game of endurance on just their daily allotment of spells. Heck, both Wizards and Sorcerers have their own spell slot recovery mechanics as well. While Warlocks do have an advantage in casting spells at an elevated spell slot, if combat lags on, you'll fizzle out fast.

Tax invocations for Eldritch Blast and your pact boon will eat away most of your invocations until 12th level, and while the at-will options are neat, half of your invocations require a spell slot to cast in addition to a 1/day limitation, making them almost always a terrible choice. If you want to balance for Tomelock's supreme utility, Warlocks could gain one less invocation total and still come out at a net positive as a chain or blade pact Warlock, which they could use more than Tomelock.
>>
>>51570743
>tfw you force the annoying always-a-wizard-since 3e player to actually pay his scribing costs
>>
>>51570358
>Curse of Strahd
It's good. 7/10
>Lost Mine of Phandelver
Personal favorite, 10/10
>Storm King's Thunder
Fun, can be a tad confusing sometimes 7/10
>Princes of the Apocalypse
Fun but awkward, can't really explain why though. 6/10
>Out of the Abyss
Had loads of fun 9/10
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat
Avoided it, don't even own it so I won't give it a score
>>
File: imthatguy_large.gif (7KB, 385x256px) Image search: [Google]
imthatguy_large.gif
7KB, 385x256px
>>51570708
What are the odds I know the answers to any of your questions? I'm just a guy
>>
Every time I look into rolling a character or playing an adventure, I feel like the magic system still bugs me the most. I probably tried a dozen alternatives (including spell points, blood magic, replacing all magic with psionics), but I always feel a bit sad that the system used in dragonlance 5th age never made it as an alternative in d&d (the system itself was barebones and the setting, being post apocalyptic dragonlance, was basically trying to improve on total shit), I think it's the closest D&D ever came to a workable (although pale) imitation of ars magica's magic.
>>
How2 get whip proficiency as a Rogue without multiclass?

Im vhuman so thats a no go.

How much am I fucking myself over by using one without proficiency anyways?
>>
File: 1410577599368.jpg (50KB, 701x960px) Image search: [Google]
1410577599368.jpg
50KB, 701x960px
I really want to play a Viking-ish Cleric. Like, that crazed warrior that carves runes into his gear and throws himself headlong towards either an early grave, or Valhalla.

I was thinking Dex-based, medium armor Cleric, but was torn on whether War or Tempest would be a better fit. Forge seems pretty cool, and my DM doesn't have an issue with it, but I keep hearing people talk shit on it. Is it really broken? Also, can't decide between Warcaster or Medium Armor Master.

Advice?
>>
>>51570726
1 stick together. Your DM is throwing things at you that you have no chance to solo kill
2 Keep your hp up at all times. If you are out of healing spells/potions, you need to stop and go back to rest
3 Buy lots of healing pots. They are expensive and worth every penny
4 Maybe make a class with higher AC/ survivability?
5 Expect bullshit to happen at every turn
6 Use a lot of items. Sometimes a bag of 1,000 ball bearings or a hunter's trap can make all the difference
7 Even if you're not a stealth class, at least try to sneak everywhere you go. You might not succeed but it might give you a tactical advantage some of the time, or let you prepare/make use of your surroundings, and for that it's worth it
8 Try to make use of bottlenecks and if necessary, use a distraction to make your enemies come to you. There's lots of room for tactics that many players overlook
>>
>>51570833
Weapon Master feat. Talk to your DM about trading a proficiency for one or finding someone to train you with it.
>>
>>51570833
Feat (a huge waste)
Ask your dm to make a common sense house rule (imo as a dm, rogue and bard should have all finesse martials and lose longsword)
>>
>>51570833
Im vhuman so a race with weapon profs is a no go*

Remember to proofread kids.
>>
>>51570841
War, imo, fits more as a cleric skald than tempest, but both fit the viking theme.
>>
>>51570841
>Like, that crazed warrior that carves runes into his gear and throws himself headlong towards either an early grave, or Valhalla.
Sounds like one of the UA Barbarian options, forget what it was called tho
>>
File: 1399517634391.jpg (307KB, 1498x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1399517634391.jpg
307KB, 1498x1600px
>>51570891
Alright, cool. Any advice on feat selection or other ways I can build on the roleplay aspect? I was planning on Sailor (Pirate) for the Viking experience.
>>
>>51570505
Yeah, I think people might miss the forest for the trees. Bladelock is an archetype with problems, in a class with serious problems of its own. If Warlock were made better, Bladelock would also be better by extension, which helps when discussing just what to do about Bladelock.

Of course, at the end of the day, a d8 full-casting class just has no business in melee combat, unless they have ways to seriously augment their durability, and actually have interesting options in melee.

>>51570743
I mean, if Sorcerers get shit on for being bad Wizards, I think Warlocks probably deserve more shit for being bad Sorcerers.

>>51570775
>Wizards go adventuring to pay their crushing tuition loans.
>>
>>51570904
How well do Barbarian levels sit on a Cleric?
>>
>>51570904
The Zealot one gives you a revolving door in the afterlife as a class feature
>>
>>51570914
>in a class with serious problems of its own
Such as? The Tomelock in my current party does just fine. Genuinely curious about this.
>>
>>51570922
Not well, Barbarian relies a lot on Rage which means no spellcasting4u

Also, I don't know why everyone thinks runes always imply magic instead of just a kind of fluff
>>
File: tumblr_oaze5uEcWx1r2g7mto1_540.jpg (33KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oaze5uEcWx1r2g7mto1_540.jpg
33KB, 512x384px
>>51570747
I'm still lurking if you end up finding it. If not I appreciate the effort either way.

I've always considered myself a rather mediocre GM and with this campaign I really want to challenge myself. Especially since I'm new to 5E and have a guy new to D&D.

Any longtime players who've never tried DMing I really recommend it. It's a great experience especially when you put in all the effort and watch your players fucking ruin everything.

Nothing makes my smile bigger.
>>
File: 1475379186392.jpg (361KB, 830x744px) Image search: [Google]
1475379186392.jpg
361KB, 830x744px
>>51570963
>I don't know why everyone thinks runes always imply magic
Since historically runes were used for religious reasons and were associated with Odin "Basis-For-All-Modern-Wizards" All-Father, it seems like an easy sell.

I mean, I'm not saying you HAVE to make them magic, but that's just how some people like it.

Anyone got some viking character art or character art using runes?
>>
>>51571004
I found it a while ago, I was just waiting to see if anybody cared.
Weirdly, Hexographer's key is the simplest to generate.
>>
>>51570949
Ultimately boring and inflexible. Most of the time you're just sitting their firing Eldritch Blast at things, with one spell slot permanently dedicated to Hex which only leaves you with one left to do with as you please. Many of the invocations are awkward or usless, including most that rely on using your spell slots which are already stretched thin for reasons above. Bladelock is more or less useless, because while you could be taking a pact boon that grants utility like a familiar or a book of rituals, you chose a new source of damage that's actually worse than the options you currently had (that being Eldritch Blast) and requires more invocations than EB does just to barely keep up. Tomelock is definitely the best of the three, but Warlock could definitely benefit from a few upgrades, namely gaining more spell slots earlier to better handle the flexibility issue, finding a fix to the blade pact (which may involve removing it from the boon list entirely and putting it somewhere else as an alternative to EB), and introducing changes to the way many of the invocations work, particularly the ones that require spell slots.

Although, considering the plan would be to increase the number of spell slots a Warlock has access to, many of the invocations that require the use of a spell slot may in fact be more viable once that change would be implemented.
>>
>>51571060
thanks, Anon.
>>
>>51571143
I've played several Warlocks so far, and I can say that I very strongly disagree with everything here. Warlock is probably one of the best classes, both mechanically and in flavor. You're welcome to your opinion, but I thought it needed to be said.
>>
>>51571143
You sound like the kind of power wanker who ends up having the DM declare that your spellbook has burned down.
>>
>>51571143
Anon you responded to here, thanks for sharing your opinion. I might have a chat with our tomelock and see what he thinks too
>>
>>51571186
Oh, I agree with flavour that it's fantastic, and I probably have more character ideas for a Warlock than any other class because of how interesting patrons can be and how fun that dynamic can be to play. I'm talking exclusively in combat, where almost every Warlock falls into the routine of "I Hex and Eldritch Blast", because they don't have the spell slots or abilities to mess around with many control-style spells and EB is a steady, reliable source of damage in the same way a Fighter with a Greatsword is. I've played one Warlock (Blade), and had one in my games (Chain), and while we both enjoyed playing it neither of us could say combat as a Warlock was particularly exciting. There's no accounting for taste, and personal experience is bound to play a big part in both of our cases to skew our views, but I couldn't help but come away feeling like I wish Warlock had been handled a little better.

>>51571192
Eh, not really. I'm happy to play Warlock as is, but I'm aware it has problems. I don't implement any of these changes in games I run, nor do I pester DMs I play with to let me have access to these changes, but they're just some things I feel like would improve the experience as a whole. Besides, any DM that solves problems with players with in-game punishment kind of deserves it.
>>
>tfw you would kill for a ranger with song of rest
>or maybe be willing to blow a feat like exists for level 1 casting and martial die
>>
>>51571288
>There's no accounting for taste, and personal experience is bound to play a big part in both of our cases to skew our views, but I couldn't help but come away feeling like I wish Warlock had been handled a little better.
I'm sorry you had a bad time of it, and I agree that ALL the classes could use tweaking for personal taste.

What in particular do you think the Warlock needs changing?
>>
Is artificer a good class, what are it's flaws? How is it in game compared to others? Most importantly, is it fun?

Looking to make one.
>>
>>51571321
Mentioned it right here >>51571143 I don't really think I'm skilled enough to properly make a Warlock rewrite that's balanced, but they're just some issues I noticed while playing and while watching others play.

No need to feel sorry for me, though. As I said, just because I felt the Warlock needed changes doesn't mean I didn't enjoy playing one, and in fact I loved the idea of being a heavily armoured dwarven fiendlock wading into battle spewing fire on everything I saw. I just know an EK or even an Evocation Wizard with the flavour of a Warlock would have probably done what I wanted but better.
>>
>>51571321
Different anon here, but I think the biggest thing the Warlock needs is that bladelock needs to be a viable option. Personally I'd like to see an Invocation along the lines of:

> Eldritch Enchantment
Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature, know the Eldritch Blast cantrip

Benefit: You magically carve mystic symbols into your pact weapon, granting it a boon while in battle. Your weapon now ignores resistances for the purposes of nonmagical damage. In addition, when you hit a foe with your pact weapon, deal an extra 1d6 force damage. This bonus increases to 2d6 at 11th level.

And give them another Invocation that keys off the above one to increase the damage die by one size (so d8 force damage) with a 11th level requirement.
>>
>>51571433
But Pact Weapon already counts as magical for overcoming resistance.
>>
>>51571460
My bad, thought it didn't for some reason. Cut that part out then and just have it be the whole, "get a d6 force damage on weapon hit" as a trade-off for going into melee with a freaking Warlock.
>>
>>51571433
Ultimately I think the biggest problem with Bladelock isn't damage; the biggest problem is that Warlock already has a reliable, stronger source of damage, and while Tome and Chain both give interesting and useful utility options, Blade is just another source of damage. It's why above I suggested maybe giving the option of EB or a pact blade, both as roughly equal but specialised sources of damage, and then give you the choice of a tome or a familiar later on.

Although the pact weapon is already considered a magical weapon just by being a pact weapon so it already bypasses those resistances, making half of that invocation redundant.
>>
>>51570949
I went into it, for the most part, in this post >>51570764. But to add to that, because of spell slot limitations, in general, Warlocks will have to be more conservative in expending their spell slots than any other full caster, though their patron abilities and invocation at-wills can certainly support that. That's why Pact of the Tome is such a strong option; not only does it provide tremendous out-of-combat utility, but it gives the warlock a sizeable suite of spells that they can cast without worrying about their spell slots, both from the rituals from the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, and the bonus cantrips from the Book of Shadows.
>>
File: 103yc8o.jpg (66KB, 750x1200px) Image search: [Google]
103yc8o.jpg
66KB, 750x1200px
>Making typical sneaky nigger Rogue
>Don't want to have the usual "cloak and hood" because all my damn characters do
How do you feel about the "coat-as-cloak" look?

Added bonus of having pockets!
>>
>>51570833
One level in fighter and the dueling fighting style.
Then find a way to grab booming blade and spell sniper.
>>
File: 3467837635.jpg (8KB, 261x303px) Image search: [Google]
3467837635.jpg
8KB, 261x303px
>>51570938
>While raging, having 0 hit points doesn’t knock
you unconscious. You still must make death saving throws, and you suffer the normal effects of taking damage while at 0 hit points. However, if you would die due to failing death saving throws, you don’t die until your rage ends.
>>
>>51571520
Conveniently enough you can grab booming blade WITH spell sniper.

Still leaves getting Whip proficiency somehow.

Training is always an option, however most campaigns don't have enough downtime for it.
>>
>>51571477
See >>51571471

The potential damage from this new Invocation (along with grabbing the other one I suggested at 11th level to increase the damage die one size) means a Bladelock can, in theory, shoot stuff with EB while moving into melee (probably firing off a Hex along the way), and then once they do deal potentially up to 4d8 force + 2* weapon die + 2d6 necrotic + 2*Stat damage at 11th level.

To assign actual numbers to the stat, let's assume it's a plain old Greatsword with a 20 STR Warlock. That's 4d8 force + 4d6 slashing + 2d6 necrotic + 10, averaging out to be roughly 54 damage. That's a pretty beefy, but then the Warlock's in melee and just dealt a nice chunk of damage, so they're probably going to get squished by whatever they hit if it's still alive.
>>
>>51571186
Can I ask HOW you figure that the warlock is powerful? For high level spell slots, they're just a gimpier wizard.

Also, how many rests did you average per day?
>>
I don't have my books with me. Is there a separate feature for "advantage on spell saving throws" vs "resistance to spell damage?"
>>
File: IMG_0275.jpg (49KB, 736x763px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0275.jpg
49KB, 736x763px
>>51571433
>what is booming blade
>>
>>51571645
On one hand booming blade really does feel like an attempt to give something to blade pact (and I feel it's a missed chance to not put it on the bard list). On the other hand, it's a lot more valuable for other lock pacts because it fucks you out of your second attack.
>>
File: Inspiring Leader.jpg (43KB, 367x197px) Image search: [Google]
Inspiring Leader.jpg
43KB, 367x197px
>>51571308
You can always take pic related and refluff it slightly.

Slightly related, I've been wanting to do something similar to pic related (but expanded) as either a feat or bard subclass focused on buffing song of rest, but im not sure which.

If feat, it would be changed to taking the duration of a short rest playing a song, and at the end your party has temp hp OR bonus damage on their next weapon attack OR bonus to perception and/or stealth checks OR the next save they make... etc.

I guess to make it that powerful and versatile it'd have to be a subclass.
>>
How do you guys rate the various aasimar?
>>
What are the best companions for the new Beastmaster?
>>
>>51571625
Some monsters have the Magic Resistance feature which gives advantage on spell saves. I can't recall anything that gives resistance to all spell damage specifically though, as resistances are usually by damage type.
>>
>>51571706
Not a patch on 2e's Warriors of Heaven table-generated ones/10
>>
Best way to Lore Bard?

Kinda want to make a Bard but there's so many options for it that I can't decide on a set one.

Some kind of Archer might be neat since you can steal Swift Quiver.
>>
>>51571477
I fucked around the other day with a build for an anon, and realized that a 5 level dip into bladelock mixed with some arcane trickster actually sounded pretty fucking neato. You got 2 attacks plus sneak attack damage, a lot of proficiencies (start as a rogue obviously), access to a ton of spells plus more spell slots. Definitely not minmaxed but it looked viable and had great flavor. Thing is, the more I looked the more I realized that multiclassing into rogue was probably better than continuing into warlock if you really were trying to go more the martial route.
>>
>>51571752
Steal Counterspell and another offensive spell at 6th level. After that so long as you steal spells from as high a spell level that you can get for your other Magical Secrets is fine.
>>
>>51571752
Misty step is godly to keep your distance (and one of the few druid spells I wish was on the ranger list but isn't; faerie fire is the other one). Stealing Hunter's Mark and Swift Quiver isn't really bad but I feel like it might not be quite amazing on a Lore Bard compared to Valor.

Alternately grab a paladin aura or elemental weapons (paladin attack spell, in some contexts it's more powerful than Swift Quiver). Blur, maybe.

In general the bard's own list is already brimming with utility so it's less of an issue.
>>
File: IMG_1654.jpg (82KB, 700x872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1654.jpg
82KB, 700x872px
>>51571565
I am playing a fiend bladelock atm, and I'm finding I have no problems with hanging with martials in melee. You just need to realize that a good chunk of your damage can come in your off turn, with spells like armour of agathys and fire shield cast before/at the start of the fight and reactions like hellish rebuke. Otherwise, the darkness/devils sight combo is awesome for surviveability and reliable advantage, booming blade and green flame blade are better than my paltry extra attack, and I can fly. You have to depend more on temporary hit points (from fiend pact and agathys), but with mage armour and a good dex you won't be too squishy even.
>>
>>51571504

I think you're overestimating the tomelock. whether or not you get any useful rituals depends entirely on loot, and even then you're probably not the only guy in your party who can cast them. the bonus cantrips amount to fuck all. you will hardly ever want to spend your single action per round of combat to do anything other than blasting, if you're out of spell-slots, which you probably are.

>>51571143
>>51571567

this right here.

Warlocks do need a rework. They have great flavor and tons of potential, but right now you have to be asking yourself what exactly that guy in your party traded his soul for. Anything he can do, some other guy in your party can do better.
>>
>>51570963
Rage during fights, heal when not fighting. Could be some issues if you're the only healer maybe but probably works well with another partial healer in the group.
>>
>tfw lawful good wizard.
>Divination Specialist
>>
>>51571736
>table-generated

What is this? I've read WoH but don't remember what you reference
>>
>>51570949
Problems only exist on the theorycrafting level.
None of these posts take actual play into consideration.
This is a tradition that goes back to the days when not everyone was banned from rpg.net.
>>
>>51571927
Like with Tieflings in the Planewalker's Handbook. Table's on page 88, rules for using it on page 83. Doesn't seem to tell you how many times to roll on the appearance table, though, and since you only get one roll in exchange for losing half-damage from both heat and cold, and each of those appears separately in the table, it's possible to just fuck yourself out of a special power by rolling on the tables.

I can't remember if the tiefling tables by default give you fewer powers than you lose for rolling on them if you don't hit the roll twice/thrice entries.
>>
My wizard is pregnant. Is it still relatively safe for the baby?
>>
>>51571143
>boring and inflexible
That's the point. The warlock is the simple caster. It hits things with eldritch blast over and over just like a champion fighter hits things with his sword over and over.
Not all classes are supposed to be as complex and versatile as the wizard. This does not actually make those classes bad, just different. Classes are supposed to be different from one another. That's what a class is.
A class being simpler to play than a wizard is only a problem if you're the kind of person who only eve plays wizards. It's a matter of subjective taste.
>>
>My totally normal human artificer dies
>druid of the team reincarnates him to a tiefling

I'm not even gonna fathom how primal magic gives him demon ancestry, though I am curious if I would get the +1Int/+2Cha as a result of this.
>>
>>51572167
Some random archfey has a fiend on retainer for debts due.
>>
>>51572224
>Rolled "Does not have a shadow" as a trait for my character's new body

Well I know what he took at least.
>>
>>51571883
Fair enough, I do assume that the hypothetical DM is handing you plenty of rituals to make use of, as well they should. While you may not be the only guy who can use rituals, you are the only one who can cast any ritual. If they don't, your pact boon will be much weaker. Also, even when you have Eldritch Blast, there are reasons to have and use cantrips other than Eldritch Blast. Obviously, YMMV, but it seems to me that Tomelock's utility is actually one of the distinctly cool things going for Warlock.

But we're in agreement that Warlock needs a rework. I proposed a few adjustments off the top of my head here >>51570469. What do you think?

>>51572074
Something can be different and also worse, and something can be good and simple at the same time. Heck, something can be relatively simple and flexible at the same time. When you have two spell slots until 11th level, you're not playing simply by choice, you're playing simply because your limited resources demand you to. I'm of the opinion that Warlock would be in a much better place with relatively minor adjustments that wouldn't make them more complicated. Some things might even be a simplification.
>>
>>51572311
The game is full of partial casters, stop thinking of Warlock as a full arcane caster and you'll be happier.

It's a ranged martial class that has utility spells.
>>
any of you DM'd Forgotten Realms as an Isekai? Where PCs are people from modern world sucked in the world of Faerun for example
>>
>>51572433
What's the benefit? Just flavor?

I can't see why it would be any better or worse, but keep in mind that just because something works on earth, it doesn't mean it works on Toril.
>>
File: Black knight.jpg (49KB, 299x443px) Image search: [Google]
Black knight.jpg
49KB, 299x443px
>>51572433
Why do you ask?
>>
>>51572433
There are already 2 or 3 ethnic groups that are from Earth in FR.
>>
>>51572397
Interesting perspective. I never considered this. Does it work well in play, it fills this role well in a group?
>>
>>51570249
>Half-Elf Rogue with Moonblade
For this exact reason,and this hyperspecific reason alone.
>>
>>51571752
Are you set on lore ? To do an archer valor seems to fit better.
>>
>>51571775
I'm doing more or less this for the fun of it.

Currently Rogue 2/Warlock 1, going to go one more in Rogue for Swashbuckler then power into Warlock.

Hex gives me the equivalent of a more reliable Sneak attack for a while (until it's outclassed) with some added utility, and between Booming Blade locking enemies into position if they don't want to be toasted, and Repelling Blast keeping enemies away until I want to attack, it's got some good battlefield control.

Like you say, it's not minmaxed, but I feel like people on /tg/ forget that the game's supposed to be about fun rather than doing max damage every time.
>>
>>51572778
It has comparable damage to other ranged options, excluding sharpshooter/crossbow expert builds, and the ability to upcast Fly means you DO have combat trump cards too.
>>
Is it wrong that I don't allow multiclassing? I allow feats though
>>
>>51570782
One of our dudes said he would run Out of the Abyss, but he hasn't yet. Should I badger him into compliance? I want go play instead of DMing, damn it
>>
>>51571826
What are your stats? I'm just starting out as a Bladelock (somewhat unintentional, DM forced me down a Warlock multiclass) and my Charisma is only 14, but I'm wondering if I should actually ditch Charisma and focus on bumping my Dex from 17 to 20 and just use the non-CHR spells/cantrips like Hex, Darkness, AoA, Booming Blade, etc. and ignore Eldritch Blast.
>>
any images of demure and feminine Teiflings?
>>
>>51572896
Try a Character Art thread?
>>
>>51572801
Don't moonblades count as short swords for most mechanical purposes?
>>
>>51572909
Moonblade, not sunblade.
>>
>>51572397
Agreed, the only flaw in warlock is that it makes you think you're picking a caster. Anyone who plays warlock with that goal in mind is going to be disappointed.
>>
What is the best two weapons to double wield as a fighter?
>>
>>51572868
Not wrong in the slightest. It's your world, my dude.
>>
>tfw 5e gives you houseruleitis as bad as 2e did
>>
>>51572929
Two hands on a halberd or a glaive.

Dual wielding is trash, my man.
>>
>>51572929
>as a fighter
Not double wielding in the first place.

Otherwise, it's either shortswords or daggers. Daggers are pretty niche but they're only there for throwing.
>>
>>51572941
Reason why I don't allow multiclassing is because I don't want to give my characters a bigger chance to fuck up their character
>>
>>51572929
One of each damage type just in case.
>>
>>51572047
Depends on how edgy your DM is.
>>
>>51570622
Pick something with mage hand
His personality trait is that he avoids touching everything
>>
What class fits Dragonborns the most lore wise and stats wise?
>>
>>51573049
Dragon Disciple Sorc.
>>
>>51572047
who's the father
>>
>>51573049
Paladin.
>>
>>51573049
Paladin
>>
>>51573049
>Str and Cha bonuses
>Culture that values pride, personal honor, and strong ideals
Paladin, especially Oath of Devotion for those who follow Bahamut, or Oath of Conquest for those who follow Tiamat.
>>
File: 1467215953575-fit.jpg (42KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1467215953575-fit.jpg
42KB, 400x462px
>>51572929
>>51572953
>double wield
>>
Reposting for opinions.

Is it bad form to play a Rorschach style character? I wanted to play a Rogue detective character and he seemed like a good inspiration for one, but I don't want to be the edgelord of my group.

Any red flags I should watch myself for if I do decide to play it? What would be some other good detectives I could draw some inspiration from?
>>
>>51573049
Nothing. Dragornborn is shit, other races are better at it for every race.

A variant human, non-variant human, aasimar, heck probably even a half-orc or bugbear, tiefling, half-elf and maybe even a drow would all make better paladins.
Half-elf, aasimar and especially variant humans are definitely better.
>>
>>51573184
Delet this
>>
>>51573184
Actually just read they get +1 charisma

thought it was +2 str +1con or +1 str +2 con similar to a half-orc or something

I'd say that makes them just about better than a half-orc... Probably. Probably better than a tiefling. Probably better than non-variant human.
Still shit, and shit for anything that isn't paladin.
>>
>>51573136
> inb4 that "OATH OF CONQUEST IS NOT INHERENTLY EVIL" fag
> "Opression and war crimes are only evil from a certain point of view!"
>>
>>51573236
Now do you dislike Dragonborn because of the furfag connection, because they're "a neat race for new players," or because of 4e?
>>
>>51573153
>What would be some other good detectives I could draw some inspiration from?
Seems cliché, but Sherlock Holmes.

>addicted to solving problems
>when there are no more problems, resorts to opium/heroin for thrills

Then tie that in with Rorschach:
>absolute moral code with no leeway for any rule bending whatsoever
>nuts, but with the intent of proving the world

You'll end up with a pseudo-paladin character who needs to improve the world at any cost and damage to himself, or he burns out fast.
>>
>>51573241

Paladins were inspired by Charlemagne's Peers, and Oath of Conquest is DEFINITELY pertinent to him.

Plus the actual oath is not very "oppression and war crimes." Works as well for a sadistic tyrant as it does for a mean sheriff at a frontier town.
>>
When do you usually start passing out magic swords and shit?
>>
>>51573316
>Charlemagne
>stalemated by the caliphate
>takes it out on his basque allies by sacking Pamplona
>not evil
>>
File: Dwarf3.jpg (172KB, 955x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf3.jpg
172KB, 955x1052px
> Dwarf fighter is one of the most common stereotypes in DnD
> Dwarf is actually a terrible race for Fighter
What did WoTC mean by this?
>>
File: IMG_0059.jpg (80KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0059.jpg
80KB, 599x600px
>>51572891
Point buy, tiefling, level seven my dex is now 18 and my chat is 16, the dex is really the much more important stat
>>
Soooooo, I just finished this idea I had for a homebrew mechanic to 5e - although it could easily be adapted to any tabletop system. Essentially it's a set of outlines for how to conduct combat in giant simultaneous turns - rather than by iterative initiative order. You declare what you're going to do in advance of the turn, then everyone moves tokens, throws dice, all on one cue. Then you resolve the mess it creates and perform any additional actions or movement remaining before starting the next turn.

I tried to format it like a regular 5e rulebook in this pdf, so hope that helps. Its also only about 3 pages with some extra fluff I thought up.

I wanted to make something that doesn't leave any player with nothing to do when it's not their turn - because it's always their turn. Its everyone's turn- ALL THE TIME.

I'm still tweaking it - have yet to run a game with it - but I think I've covered most of the big issues like movement and combat. Can I get anyone to take a look in here?
>>
how would you stat a composite bow?
>>
File: karl.png (221KB, 591x386px) Image search: [Google]
karl.png
221KB, 591x386px
>>51573353
>puts down g*rm*n*cs
>evil

pick uno
>>
File: IMG_2350.jpg (346KB, 1350x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2350.jpg
346KB, 1350x1560px
>>51573383
A short longbow
>>
>>51573383
Longbow stats, 75gp, not heavy, usable on horseback
>>
>>51573279
This is what dragonborn get
>Resistance to a damage type
>An action to use a shitty breath weapon
>+2 str
>+1 cha

That's prettymuch it.

That's.. Trash, on a metagame level.
Variant Human is effectively a +3 str +1 cha (doesn't need to spend a feat at level 4) and +1 skill,
Half-Elf is +2 cha, +1 str, +1 con, +2 skills and an extra language, fey ancestry and darkvision,

Aasimar is
>+2 cha
>+1 str
>once long/rest, AoE fear as an action and from then on having +level damage every round
>necrotic resistance
>radiant resistance
>20% more lay on hands
>light cantrip
>darkvision
Or sacrifice the +1str for +1wis/con and one of the other effects like AoE damage or flying.

Bugbear
>+2 str
>+1 dex
>stealth proficiency
>+2d6 on surprise attacks
>darkvision
>double carry capacity
>+5ft reach on attacks, can effectively walk to 10ft with a quarterstaff, attack and then stay there or move back and then the enemy approaches they'll take a reaction attack from PAM. Also 15ft long polearms.

I mean, sure, maybe fire resistance wouldn't be so bad, but I don't think it's worth going dragonborn for it on a metagame level.

Fluff reasons? Eh, sure, it's not fucking itself over because a) paladins are great and b) it does actually have relevant stats.
>>
>>51573353
The first sentence is not a defense of Charlemagne, but a defense of Oath of Conquest. On the other hand, Charlemagne and friends could effortlessly qualify as Lawful Good or Chaotic Good by 5e standards.

Conquest is a lot meaner and a lot less noblesse oblige than the vanilla paladin but he could be a totally normal good guy in many cases.
>>
File: white ppl bees.jpg (47KB, 700x568px) Image search: [Google]
white ppl bees.jpg
47KB, 700x568px
>>51573358
Dwarves being good fighters really isn't something all that plausible or logical.

>be short
>favor weapons with short reach

???????????????????
>>
>>51573358
>+2 STR +2 CON
>Terrible
>>
How would you justify paladins as an entity in a campaign world that is very definitely the iron age and not fantasy medieval?

I figure the oaths could be a lot more personal (or in the case of conquest or crown, more tied to a specific kingdom's guards).

It's the one class I'm seriously not super sure about.
>>
>>51573482
> Every other feature than stat increases is something that fighter already has.
>>
>>51573503
Paladins generally become 1000x as cool when the oath is an intimate thing with their liege, god (or goddess) and themselves. The general concept of oaths before the gods, and the stigma of oathbreaking and treachery, are universal, however.

But generally? I wouldn't even worry about having NPC paladins be a thing. 5e genuinely seems to despise the concept of total non player characters with class levels, or at least forces you to handle each one on a completely case by case basis as if they are a homebrew monster entity unto themselves.
>>
>>51573526
I meant more on the player side honestly, although I'm not even sure yet what the players are going to ask besides the one who has all but confirmed it would be a battlemaster.
>>
>>51573419
>>51573422
>Hobbit Archery is go

Now I'm turned on
>>
>>51573505
>Fighters get poison resistance and out-of-combat utility
>>
>>51573576
Battlemasters totally get out-of-combat utility, m8.
>>
>>51573571
On the player side, a lord or lady of a city state warmly takes the PC in and talks to them for awhile about their courage and how impressive they are and whether he or she wants to be their selected champion, and to sanctify it before yonder temple.

Well over 99% of D&D campaigns sure, from my perspective, are already polytheistic clusterfucks where placid medieval European conventions barely make any sense at all so I don't much see a problem.
>>
>>51573584
>lady of a city state warmly takes the PC in and talks to them for awhile about their courage and how impressive they are and whether he or she wants to be their selected champion, and to sanctify it before yonder temple.

This is my fetish
>>
File: 1304878463252.jpg (14KB, 285x302px) Image search: [Google]
1304878463252.jpg
14KB, 285x302px
what do you think about trickery domain clerics? one of my players would want to play one but to me honestly they look so weak compared to other domains that I fear that he will eventually just abandon his character
>>
>>51573598
Underrated magical rogue archetype imo. One level of rogue for sneak attack might round things out.
>>
>>51573598
Give him a really interesting side quest or subplot involving his cleric shit. Maybe a wisecracking Outsider of some type associated with his character's deity?
Just make sure there's fun shit involved, but I mean, he is still a cleric. Still has spells and shit, even if he's one of the worst domains out there.
>>
>>51573598
They're trash compared to other clerics, but they're still fullcasters.
> inb4 c0re with his homebrew shows up
>>
>>51573591
A fully fleshed out paladin relationship with all the fixins (liege + deity) probably is going to be erotic or at least filled with sexual tension on some level...
>>
>>51573505
>>51573358
>+2 str
>+2 con
>poison resistance
>advantage on saving throws versus poison
>tool proficiency
>darkvision
>expertise in history related to dorf things

The main issue is losing 5 ft of speed, but it makes a perfectly okay fighter. Compared to a variant human who gets +1 skill and effectively +3 str +1 con by having a feat and taking an ASI when other fighters would take a feat.

The point of mountain dwarf is that the armour proficiency, +2 strength and no slowed movement from heavy armour all clash so that you can't optimize it.
The extra weapon proficiencies is practically fluff.
>>
>>51573638
Oh, without a doubt. It's part of the reason I've never played one, even though it's my greatest dream. I just know it would get too hot and heavy.
>>
>>51573598
>>51573615
Basically this.
Bad archetype, great class, so it'll still be great.
>>
>>51573651
>Hyppolites was really trying to get Hera's paladin for herself
>>
File: nyxthonk.png (98KB, 235x272px) Image search: [Google]
nyxthonk.png
98KB, 235x272px
DM here, run into a bit of a roadblock creative writing hell, basically.

Players are level 8 and have sort of a home town set up. After rescuing this town in the previous campaign from the clutches of a Death Knight, they have settled there as heroes and have gone under a time skip.

What do you guys usually do after time skips to get all the players back on the same page and work together as a unit again without it feeling too forced?

I was thinking something like a celebration for the heroes where something goes wrong, rogue up-and-coming adventurers think assassinating the heroes will put them on a whole new level, etc.
>>
>>51573704
Some asshole steals all the credit for their accomplishments and is formally recognized and rewarded by the king. While dealing with the asshole, the party accidentally stumbles into the actual plot.
>>
>>51573704
An invasion!

The army of the Usurper King Minaxes has launched an assault on their realm! Rumor has it that Minaxes himself has been seen on the battlefront, wielding his legendary greataxe to fearful effect!
>>
>>51573704
It's a timeskip, it's not forced to drop them off at a time when things actually start happening.

Have some guy who can't seem to get hold of the mainland heroes who has heard of these new heroes come along begging for help with a problem somewhere.
>>
>>51570111

>First character, tiefling bard
>Try to save a virgin from a Warlock's tower
>Our ass has been kicked from all the fighting, shit is going down
>Decide I got this
>Thaumaturgy is UP
>"BEHOLD THEE, OH VILE ONE, IT IS IS, THE DEMON THOUST WERE TRYING TO CONJURE"
>Roll deception and Performance. 17 and 24
>"YOUR FOOLISH ABLUTIONS ALMOST LAY MY PLANS TO WASTE. NOW I MUST DRAG THIS VIRGIN TO HELL MYSELF, WHERE I MAY DEFILE AT MY OWN PLEASE, AT AN ALIGNMENT OF STARS OF MY OWN DIMENSIONAL CHOOSING"
>thanks you bye

Good times
>>
>>51573730
>min maxes
>legendary battleaxe
Fucking magic item fuckers.
>>
>>51573764
Did they fugg??
>>
>>51573730
>Minaxes

I love it.
>>
So can anyone who has used this class in their campaign or playtested it or is a GM for it can tell me if this is too strong or not.

Crystal Longsword, Legendary Item
Requires Attunement by an Arcane Order Magus

Sonic Wave. This ability channels the spellcaster's arcane history and allows the weapon to fire an arcane thunderous wave at a target 60ft. away. The booming wave requires a melee attack. The wave deals 3d6 points of thunder damage you can expend spell slots to increase the damage upwards to 6d6 points of thunder damage. This can only be used once per short rest.

Thunderus Enspell. When you use the enspell feature on this weapon instead of force you may choose to instead deal thunder damage and your Arcane Enspell ability increases the push on a failed saving throw to 20 ft. and deals an additional 1d8 thunder or force damage based on the enspell feature granted.

Thunderus Aegis. When you use the arcane aegis feature you may teleport up to 60 ft. and make one weapon attack against the creature.
>>
>>51573427
They should just have the breath weapon be a bonus action, like it was in 4e
>>
>>51573427
5e aasimar are fuckin cool, and I say this as someone who has always hated aasimar. A fallen aasimar paladin would be an amazing character, especially if he is more of a dirtbag degenerate failure like Obi Wan Kenobi rather than Sir Coldsteel.
>>
>>51574024
>Obi Wan Kenobi
>dirtbag degenerate

ill rek u m8, sware on me Force
>>
Can someone clarify something for me?

>Tasha's Hideous Laughter:
>A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Does this mean that, if you have the first turn:
>Cast THL
>target fails saving throw, is incapacitated
>target's turn
>no action
>gets another saving throw
>can be fine again before your turn

That's how it looks like it works, which is just irritating. Even with Diviner Portent, you can only guarantee success on one of the throws due to the "per turn" rule.

If I get a surprise round and get THL in first, then roll high initiative on the combat, does that mean I only have to Portent 1 save in order for the opponent to be guaranteed incapacitated on my round?
>>
>>51574047
I think the idea is that you have friends who can take advantage of your spell, rather than just having to wait until you have a chance to follow-up on it.
>>
>>51574047
If they fail the save, they're prone and they lose a turn, and they stay prone until a turn after they succeed one of the saves.

If you do get a surprise round (I find they're pretty rare) then you can use it on the surprise round and then if your initiative is higher definitely get to take advantage of their prone state at least twice.

Either way, think of using it more to aid your melee martial friends who can potentially grapple the target, too.
>>
>>51573786

I assume bards always fugg off screen
>>
>>51574081
>who can potentially grapple the target, too.

stop
>>
>>51574081
>>51574047
Well, let me clarify, the best way to use it is probably as following:

>Once they fail the save, don't attack them. Nobody on the team attacks.
>If it comes to their turn and they fail the save, continue to let them lie.
>If it comes around to their turn and the succeed the save, start beating the shit out of their prone body, and have a martial or somebody grapple them.
>>
>>51574081
>>51574064
>>51574109

Thing is, I'm looking for a way to take advantage of 14th level Warlock GOO feature - being able to make an incapacitated foe a thrall.

Right at the start of the campaign, my party nominally allied ourselves with an evil queen because she treated us alright (though not anyone else) and the DM was pushing for it (evil queen is essentially DMPC, I know it's one of the DM's old characters). This is fine, my character's evil too, except my evil and her evil are at war, so it came to blows.

She captured, tortured (including cutting off a testicle), and then sacrificed my character to her god (her character vastly outmatched mine, no one really got to make any attempt to save me, went from "then I guess we're enemies" to "well, you're dead" without anything anyone could really do).

No one was really happy so DM allowed my character to be resurrected by the queen's god in exchange for becoming a Warlock to the god and effectively swapping sides. Everything is "cool" now, but my character has quietly held a grudge and made plans, and accordingly, I've been building him around the idea that he wants to take revenge.

To that end - wants to thrall the evil queen. Planning on taking a 2 level dip into Diviner Wizard for the Portent roll-control (since trusting Wisdom saves is far too risky) but just trying to plan how I can cover every angle on soloing the queen.
>>
>>51573606
>>51573615
>>51573659
yeah, maybe I will just suggest that he plays a refluffed bard instead
>>
I'm tempted to go the Birthright approach with magic; everything besides illusions and divination above level 1-2 is essentially jealously guarded secrets by a number of schools who may not even know the full extent of their full school. I might lower the freebies/level to only one spell (and only allow two for school spells or something), anything outside of school and basic magic requires audiences and favors.

Basically it's meant to be a flavorful way to somewhat dick wizards I guess
>>
>>51574165
Technically all 'create thrall' does is make the target unable to attack you.
It can still fuck up all your teammates. If the target can remove curses somehow they can simply go do that, there's nothing stopping them from going and asking a church to rid them of curses if they're capable.

Still, in theory, you should be able to do that as long as the DM doesn't pull out shit like legendary resistance.

You might need to plan something like explosive collars and such to keep them under control.
>>
>>51574209
>>51574165
Also, I'll just say this now to reinforce the point -
The DM will almost definitely pull out some sort of bullshit to try and stop you from doing anything to their precious character. It might be divine intervention, suddenly having the ability needed to escape, just so happening to have resistance or simply the DM ragequitting.

If you can somehow keep the DM from pulling this shit on you, you'll be fine.

Also if the character only uses a level 20's stats or something then a level 20 character can honestly be beaten by a bunch of level 5s.
>>
>>51570914
>Of course, at the end of the day, a d8 full-casting class just has no business in melee combat, unless they have ways to seriously augment their durability, and actually have interesting options in melee.
They literally have a spell that increases their durability and deals damage back to enemies that hit them, but only for melee.
>>
>>51574229
>>51574209
>The DM will almost definitely pull out some sort of bullshit to try and stop you from doing anything to their precious character
I know, that's why I'm pulling out all the stops, multiclassing just for Portent, all that jazz.

I'm open to other ways of getting revenge; ideally it involves taking control of her city and enslaving her rather than just killing her, but plans are open as yet.
>>
>>51574269
There's nothing you can do to stop the DM saying 'Well, uhh, I just decided that your ability doesn't work like that' or 'actually the character has this now'.

The only way you can stop that happening is with the support of your fellow players all calling the DM out if they do that.
>>
>>51574209

>Technically all 'create thrall' does is make the target unable to attack you.

...huh, I thought they were controlled.
>>
>>51574288
I know. At that point, I won't mind so much, though. I'm a ways off from pulling anything - I'm not going to go for it until the actual plot of the campaign is through, whatever the case, and I'm several levels away from both Thrall and Portent.

It's more something I have in mind for once we've defeated the encroaching evil empire - I go back, I spring this on this woman we haven't seen in 10 levels or so that everything seemed to be resolved with, and suddenly my character is revealed as being hardcore at holding a grudge.

Supplementary to that, whether the DM fiats her way out or not, I'd like her to realise how much my character was built in the name of the event.

It's not really an OOC gripe at all, I just want the others to realise that I was serious when I made my character out to be someone who makes jokes to cover long-term schemes.

>>51574309
Yeah, me too. And it's technically charmed - I suddenly realise it may not work against an elven queen, given the immunity. Unless Thrall bypasses that by being a feature.
>>
>>51570914
>>Wizards go adventuring to pay their crushing tuition loans.
playing my first wizard right now and this is his backstory. His spellbook is just a cluttered collection of notes in a spiral notebook, and any new spells come from a stack of schoolbooks he's renting and needs to return + pay for.

he's the poorest character i've ever played
>>
>>51574358
>And it's technically charmed - I suddenly realise it may not work against an elven queen, given the immunity. Unless Thrall bypasses that by being a feature.
Wait, scratch that, I'm getting sleep immunity and charm advantage mixed up. Still fine on that front, at least.
>>
>>51573427
Where are Aasimar and Bugbear listed?
>>
>>51574358
Elves are not immune to 'charmed' and thralling has no save, but I suppose the DM could bullshit up some sort of elven immunity thing. Your best bet is to essentially 'research it' in game before the time, things like 'Would a powerful elf be completely immune to charms or would they still only have resistance?'
Keep building up on questions like these so it would really seem like bullshit if the DM fiats it in all of a sudden to change what you've said.

You'd also be able to do all of this if you simply had a divination wizard on hand, I suppose, but eh. It's a bit of a shame to take yourself two levels away from warlock's level 9 spells, but warlock doesn't even get wish.

>>51574400
Volo's
>>
>>51574400
Volo's guide to monsters

It's got a bunch of fun races in there, I kind of want to try making a yuan-ti pureblood paladin to make a character stupidly resistant to magic
>>
>>51574403
>>51574408
Neat. Thanks.
>>
>>51574375
Secondary to that, this actually solves my problem with Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Can just use Hypnotic Pattern instead, only one save for Portent to hit. And from some basic research, it looks like Portent skips any Advantage as it just replaces the whole roll, not the dice.

>>51574403
>You'd also be able to do all of this if you simply had a divination wizard on hand, I suppose, but eh. It's a bit of a shame to take yourself two levels away from warlock's level 9 spells, but warlock doesn't even get wish.

True, but I can't really rely on the party for this. It's a very loose group in-world, kept together largely by similar goals rather than mutual love or trust. It's fun, but they probably won't support my character over the queen, because she's only been a dick to my character (and only because of the religious conflict).

I don't mind unbalancing my character in the name of pursuing character goals. It's fun in it's own way.

As for maxing out Warlock, I wouldn't anyway. Before being forced into a multiclass, I was dedicated Rogue, so my Charisma's low (hence Portent fixing everything). Slowly ending up with a weird sorta Bladelock and then gonna slam in Diviner Wizard for the hell of it. Need to look up multiclass spell slots, I've not tried this before.
>>
>>51574465
I suppose warlocks still get their cantrip upgrade at level 17 anyway, and portent is great to have on almost any character.

I think I remember you posting the thing about being forced into a warlock multiclass before, though.
>>
>>51574507
Yeah I've mentioned it a few times, I hang around the 5eg asking questions and making plans. It usually comes up because otherwise having low charisma as a Warlock seems super dumb.

I don't know how many of these plans I'll actually implement, I just need some sort of D&D fix in between sessions.
>>
I'm thinking of going Battlemaster Fighter, I'd like to give him access to a few spells, is it best to just go Magic Initiate? Or is there a good class dip to to look into?
>>
>>51572929
Lances. If your dm lets you have a mount and take the dual wielder feat. Lances can be held in one hand while mounted.
>>
>>51574452
I'm revoking this "thanks" to a "fuck you" as reading these just makes me want to play now.

Filthy bastards.
>>
>>51574544
Don't forget ritual caster.

Unfortunately battlemaster doesn't have a lot of synergies with spellcasters aside from maybe arcane tricksters. There are some funky things you could try with multiclassing warlock (picking up shillelagh and becoming a charisma-based fighter) or sorcerer (for bonus action GFB/BB attacks) but you'd be kinda suboptimal as there's better ways to do that.

I'd probably suggest the magic initiate feat.
>>
>>51574408
It seems Vow of Ancients + Snek could give you half damage from spells + advantage on saves vs spells + great saves making for ultimate antimage dude.
>>
>>51574599
You could always

roll20
>>
>>51574558
> no heavy property
> using the weakest fighting style
> feat(s) tax
>>
>>51574507
>>51574542

To be accurate, with my current stats (assuming no random useful magical items or encounters) I'll have to go Rogue 4/Warlock 14/Wizard 2 in order to get enough ASIs to get Int up for the multiclass AND hit all the options I'm aiming for.

It would leave me with:
Strength: 8
Dex: 18
Con: 12
Intelligence: 13
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 18

Or I go Rogue 3/Warlock 14/Wizard 2 (getting it all by level 19 instead of 20) but have:

S: 8
D: 18
Con: 12
I: 13
W: 14
Char: 16

I figure if I can make it to level 19, I'll make it to 20.
>>
>>51574626
I just may. They don't still all use Skype do they?
>>
>>51574704
I'd aim for the level 19 one. If you still need an ASI after that, you can take it at level 20.
>>
>>51574728
Quite a few do, although I was in one that used text only and one that used Discord voice.

Google Hangouts are sometimes used too.
>>
Well, having learned the thrall thing does almost nothing, that really saved me from the horror of playing a warlock for thirteen levels.
>>
>>51574749
It's kinda like forced vassaslship, but it is ceratinly somewhat dependent on the DM and thus you probably don't want to use it against the DM's precious.
>>
>>51574749
Go Paladin instead. Paladin is Top Tier Most Fun Best Choice for all PCs in all situations. Now there are even multiple flavors of rude dude paladins, so you can't even make the excuse that it requires being kind-hearted.
>>
>>51574700
He said the best way and thats likely the best of the bad, 1d12 offhand is pretty nice take armour fighting style instead, be a paladin for find steed.
>>
>>51574765

I don't have preciousses and I don't game with anyone who does so I'm safe, but if I wanted the same effect I would... hm... well, I was going to say throw them in a vampire pit, be a necromancer, and take command of them, but even a Warlord has int 12.

Fuggin Volo taunting me with how elusive a warlord is in 5e.
>>
>>51574850
You mean Bard
>>
Hello everyone, I'm looking for tips on roleplaying for a particular case. I'll be playing a warlock of the great old ones(cthulhu in this case) who's a Warforged coming back from Atlantis after it sank. How should I go about spreading the words of the great old one as effectively as possible?
>>
File: ImperiusandSolarian.png (432KB, 728x424px) Image search: [Google]
ImperiusandSolarian.png
432KB, 728x424px
Is Imperius a good example of an Oath of Vengeance Paladin?
>>
>>51574920
Dissonant Whispers everyone. Get your DM to homerule Create Thrall into a way of becoming a cult leader.
>>
>>51574850
>>51574909
Definitely though a paladin and bard are both already confirmed chars.

I'm thinking probably bladesinger
>>
>>51574922
Sure, light on Restitution though.
>>
File: 1456788994615.png (737KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
1456788994615.png
737KB, 760x596px
>>51574920
Screw your old god, embrace your machine nature and convert to CLANG
>>
What are the top "must visit" places on a road trip across the entirety of Khorvaire?
>>
>>51575021
> Posting a shitty edit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNb0Jd4_ws

anyway to get spear mastery feat for Pally without compromising ASIs?
>>
>>51573762
This may work, actually. Considering the one Paladin player helped restore a Paladin's Guild there, he has good reason to help promote justice and good.
>>
Kind of weird question, but relevant to current goings-on in my campaign.

By the default assumption about the multiverse in D&D, is there any planar activity related to the act of dreaming?

When a human or a halfling dreams, are they entirely within their own head, or is there some "plane of dreams" they're astrally (or otherwise) connected to? I've done a bit of research and I've found that Eberron has a Dream Plane, but I'm not sure if that reflects a standard of the D&D multiverse or is one of Eberron's many unique planar quirks.
>>
File: 1433612280756.jpg (274KB, 900x390px) Image search: [Google]
1433612280756.jpg
274KB, 900x390px
>>51575152
>Implying it isn't better than the original
>Implying CLANG isn't best GOO
>>
>>51575240
Its an Eberron thing, very loosely based off earlier variant cosmology ideas of a dream plane. Heroes of Horror includes more ideas for oneiromancy.
>>
>>51573926
That would be amazing. I think it's supposed to be used when you get lucky with a lot of targets in the area, right now.
>>
what's the proper way to play a Tranquility Monk during combat?
>>
>>51575357
Attempt to hug the enemy into peace each round. Maybe compliment them on their skills and such to make them feel better.
>>
Are there any canon chromatic dragons that went from an evil alignment to good? Or vice versa for metallics
>>
>>51575354
Yeah. 5e is very prickly and conservative about AoE damage and chars being good at both AoE and single target.
>>
>>51575357
Fight honorably. That means letting the enemy show aggression first, and only attack whichever enemy attacked you last.
>>
I like my Necromancers be death heavy metal rockstars in tight leather pants
>>
>>51575401
4e Draconomicon 2: Chromatic Dragons has a few.
>>
>>51575401
Not quite what you asked but in Mystara, all dragons were usually neutral on the Good-Evil axis.

Frankly most dragons besides silvers are going to come off as aloof assholes no matter what.
>>
>>51575454
What a coincidence, I like my bards be scholarly types studying the secrets of musical composition in the hopes of unearthing eternal life.
>>
I want my undead minions to be clean and regal. What's the best way to make skeleton pearly white?
>>
>>51575493
Loom
>>
>>51574857
If you can get rituals in your party, phantom steed is amazing
>>
Who does better damage between a Paladin and a Fighter, and what are your favorite Multiclasses for both?
>>
>>51575496
Use some of that Dia de los Muertos makeup. Pearly white AND festive!
>>
What's the difference between Necromancer Wizard and Death Cleric?
>>
Checking out the recent UA class additions, are any clearly broken or to be concerned with?
>>
>>51575583
Necro wizard is giving death gods the finger thinking they can use magic to cheat them out of the dearly departed.
Death clerics worship said gods and do their bidding.
>>
>>51575274
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
There is any magic item that improves healing spells?
>>
>>51575454
>death heavy metal
Really bruh
>not posting Abbath
You fucking plebeian.
>>
>>51575646
Only items that give more healing spells. If you want increased healing per spell, maybe you can give them an item that makes it so they heal maximum on a healing spell X times per day
>>
any kind of magic that will allow me to cosmetically personalize my skellingtons?
>>
>>51575600
Recent as in the rogue and ranger ones?
Nah, not really.

However, keep an eye on if anyone wants to play twilight druid and treachery paladin.
Or the revenant race.
>>
>>51575646
> Improves
Scroll of beacon of hope.
> Heals, so you don't have to waste your spellslots
Staff of healing
>>
>>51570376
You should probably read the fight with cyanwrath again. It's very clear he will never inflict more than 1 death saving throw failure and then back off. He is honor bound and will not kill the individual on purpose. There is a team of npc healers with healing kits who will appropriately tend to him.
>>
>>51575724
Honestly, I'd let that work with prestidigitation. It's a pretty minor and mostly illusory thing anyways.
>>
Good uses for contingency? I can't think of anything better than Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, although the issue with that is breaking concentration and I use banishment a lot. Maybe Fire Shield or Mirror image if an enemy comes within 5ft of me?
>>
>>51571671
All of the SCAG are just a wet dream for rogues/fighters and that craptacular wizard bladesinger.
>>
>>51570358

CoS- Have read a lot of, haven't finished. Really like it though.

PotA - Running it now with one of my groups. Having a lot of fun with it.

OotA - Just bought this, will read more later. From summaries it sounds cool.

HoDQ/RoT - Haven't looked at much. And matte paper? Ewww...

LMoP - Fantastic. I had Gundren accompany my players to the Dessarin Valley.

SKT - I loaned this to a friend of mine who wants to DM, so that I could play eventually.
>>
is searing Arc strike and Searing Sunburst decent moves for the Monk?
>>
>>51573886
FYI, that's ridiculous broken. It's 'wanted to know what would happen if Paladin's could go even MORE nova?'
>>
>Make a divination wizard because it fits my character
>Anytime I use portent, someone will chime in about how broken it is
Is it really that broken?
>>
>>51575644
Get a load of this chucklefuck.
>>
>>51576039
You become the DM for two rolls each day.
It's hella powerful if you use it correctly.

But I'm also in that camp, the character I've made for an upcoming SKT game is also a Divination wizard.
>>
>>51576039
It's one of the best wizard features on one of the best classes.

Its main use I imagine is to gaurantee enemies fail important saves, when it would have been hit or miss otherwise.
>>
>>51576039
Occasionally, yes.
>>
>>51575986
The weapon or the class? The class exchanged extra attack for war magic, and their divine smite only deals 2d6 instead of 2d8. If it's the weapon what would you recommend I change it to?
>>
>>51575532
Read on Kutná Hora
>>
I'm a Tranquil Monk with Medicine proficiency and use Sensual Tantric Massage to heal. How much should I charge for these massage services?
>>
>>51575357
Knock enemies out to tranquilize them. Duh?
That, or tell them they're interrupting the peace and that you'll have to take steps. I mean, a horde of rampaging orcs is less tranquil than a horde of unconscious orcs.
>>
does stunning strike need to be an attack? Can't I decide to apply it as a simple palm touch that deals no damage?
>>
Diablo Necros are more like Death Clerics than Necro Wizards
>>
File: tcg-series4-061-large.jpg (183KB, 704x566px) Image search: [Google]
tcg-series4-061-large.jpg
183KB, 704x566px
What's going on in your game, /5eg/?

What are you/your players going through at the moment? What plot threads are they following?
>>
>>51576320
My players are currently in a desert going to a recently attacked fishing village in hope to find clues on where the BBEG and its company have gone.
>>
>>51576320
Currently our party is getting its Resident Evil on in a mansion out in the woods. Puzzles have been had, undead and other spirits have been manifesting, and we think, if our instincts are correct, that this whole thing was a massive trap set to catch adventurers who can't resist a good mystery.
Or, at least, the allure of potential loot.

My Warlock of Zuggtmoy has been having a lot more fun with it than, say, the cleric or the fighter. Mostly because of the fact that, being stranded in the middle of a swamp, she's surrounded by all sorts of rot and decay.
>>
>>51576320
We're on a drow boat heading north to find the manipulative Nekrov Empire with its undead hordes.
>>
File: ost.jpg (20KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
ost.jpg
20KB, 400x325px
>>51576320
after bringing in a cultist who persuaded the guards to let him go again we got ourselves stick in limbo as we have not played in almost a year.
>>
Does anyone have the MH pdf with carving? I have the other.
>>
>>51576665
I think this is what you are looking for?
>>
>>51576320
The players are just finishing up a quest for some wizards. They just need to find someone to cure their cleric's petrification first because no one thought to suspect anything when they ran into some very lifelike statues.
After that, it'll be pretty much just preparing for a big fight with their first major antagonist. Need to build up that shit for a session or two first though and give them enough time to make a plan and gather allies.
I'm sure this CR 17 bad guy will be no trouble at all to the party of six level 6 characters. At least they should be able to beat him IF they prepare well enough.
>>
File: kk.jpg (37KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
37KB, 800x600px
>>51576694
>CR 17 bad guy
>6 level 6's

Be careful, I just ran into this exact scenario. They fucking creamed the boss in almost 4 rounds. He didn't even last long enough for his lair actions to really get started.
>>
>>51576690
>Late-game you can make +3 plate armour and +3 shield using monster parts and probably money

AC bloat ahoy.
>>
File: 1460730952849.png (81KB, 326x220px) Image search: [Google]
1460730952849.png
81KB, 326x220px
Help me out 5eg. I'm in a game with some other guys and it's been going pretty good so far, but due to a few problems with the other characters and the misguided attempts to give plot hooks to my PC from my well-meaning DM, the character's concept has been pretty ruined and I don't really feel like playing him anymore.

Normally I'd just ask the DM to kill my character off or write him out of the game so that I can play another one, but the DM is really having fun with the character concept, so much so that he's allowed me a bunch of home-brew material just so he's as combat optimal as everyone else in the party. I don't want to ruin his fun with the character, but at the same time I don't think he's really noticed that the character's concept has been ruined, and that his entire life's goal has inadvertently been fulfilled by level 2.
>>
playing a Glamour Bard what is an instrument that is perfect for a demure girl?
>>
Anyone run a calender for their campaigns? Do you just write them up on a paper? Digital tool, and in that case which?
>>
>>51576827
Tell the DM to NPC him, keep him as a reoccuring character.
>>
>>51575844
Fireball centered on yourself
>>
>>51576827
Talk to the DM. Tell him exactly this.
>>
>>51576835
Vuvuzela.
>>
>>51576835
Kazoo.
>>
>>51576835
Erhu
>>
>>51576835
Theremin.
>>
>>51576865
Wait, couldn't you use bardic horsecasting to use contingency to cast fireball on yourself AND your horse?
>>
>>51577098
Whoops, forgot about that last line on contingency.
Actually it wouldn't do anything other than kill you and your horse.
>>
>>51576694
>>51576728
How the fuck would a CR 17 bad guy be killed so quickly by a level 6 party?
>>
>>51570111

>Why did the Bard take Prestidigitation?
>For flavor
>>
>>51577135
Either magic item bloat, well-optimized players or simply the fact that action economy is a thing.

If you don't give the CR17 any minions and make him a loner faggot, he deserves to die and never deserves to get to the power of CR 17 in the first place.
>>
>>51577167
My point is, if a CR 17 let itself be killed by a level 6 party, that's on the DM. the DM didn't prepare well enough and made his villain a chump. I mean, we're talking Adult Red Dragon level, here.
>>
is it bad that our level 7 party killed a pit fiend by being stealthy and using survival to check what in our surrounding could be used to harm it? We did a series of traps and ambushes that looked like accidents. We even dropped a gate on it. Combat proper started when it was already bloodied and its wings torn off. It was still a tough fight but we made it. The BBEG kill stealed us though so DM only gave us half the xp
>>
Running a japanese-themed campaign.

Lots of japanese mythology, the players are all Hengeyokai(Animals that take the form of people) and there's a lot of spookiness going on.

A plague is infecting the land like Armello's rot (Power in exchange for sanity, and soul devouring, monster making necrotic effect) and this is an enemy that plays into one of my PC's backgrounds that's a major henchman for the Big bad shogun. Does this fit CR? What level should they encounter this if it included like 4-8 wolf warriors(gnoll-sheet.)

I am giving them a decent number of magic items. First time running a campaign so feedback would help.
>>
>>51577251
Yeah kinda... you guys must have done some crazy stuff to beat a CR 20 at level 7..
>>
File: Garo.png (990KB, 1152x948px) Image search: [Google]
Garo.png
990KB, 1152x948px
>>51577257
Forgot the actual sheet.
>>
>>51577463
New thread.
>>
Reminder that if you throw +1 items around nilly-willy then go fffffffffuck yourself.
>>
>>51577251
Sounds like your DM either wanted you to win, or is just straight up bad. First off, Pit Fiends have Detect Magic at will, see through any magical shenanigans you try to pull once it gets suspicious, which it should after suffering a series of "accidents". They also have resistance to nonmagical attacks, so guess what: That dropped gate? Should've done half damage. To top it off, they have 120ft of Truesight AND 22 Intelligence, while your DM apparently played him like an idiot.
>>
>>51576320
Other players beat up and memory wiped my drow rogue because he refused to let the wood elf cast greater restoration to remove his madnesses. Teleported the drow back to Graklstugh. Now he seeks revenge, and they have no clue of the reckoning that will be upon them.

Pretty fun game.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.