[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skill Toys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: diabolopic.jpg (49KB, 325x322px) Image search: [Google]
diabolopic.jpg
49KB, 325x322px
I'd love to have a thread about skill toys. Yoyos, diabolos, begleri, hoops, cardistry, etc. I know the name seems more like it'd fit better on >>>/toy/ but hear me out.

First, both cards and dice can be used as skill toys, and cards and dice are about as "traditional games" as it gets.

Second, a good number of skill toys are just dexterity games which, once an individual masters the game itself, he or she can then expand upon and do cool tricks (Kendama, for example).

Third, things like baton twirling, contact juggling, and so on, are not only incredibly traditional forms of entertainment (to the performer and the audience) but many of them are medieval and so it makes sense to discuss them on here in the same way /tg/ sometimes has threads about medieval weapons.

Fourth (and finally), /toy/ is honestly more about collectable figures than about toys meant to be played with.

Personally, I have a couple of looping yoyos I'm terrible with and intend to sell, and I'm looking into getting some hand sacks and possibly making or buying a begleri or two.

For clarity:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_skill_toys
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sack
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begleri
>>
Man, I remember when we used to have Stick and Hoop threads on /tg/.

Good times.
>>
>>51557943
We can rebuilt it. We have the technology.

Nah, but if this catches on we can make it a general (even though as a rule I hate general threads) that would INCLUDE stick and hoop.
>>
>>51557943
>stick and hoop
>not hoopstick
get out GET OUT
>>
Hacky sack master race checking in
>>
Got a couple half decent throws, but I'm not crazy good with them. Fun to play with though.

That said, /tg/ still isn't really the place for this. First, Saying tools of gaming can be used as skill toys doesn't mean anything that can be used as a skill toy is related to tg content. Second, you're changing the definition of game because some skill toys have a goal. You could say the same thing to argue instruments are skill toys, and thus tg related. Third, just because something's entertainment doesn't make it tg. RPGs and the like involve storytelling, but that doesn't mean we should have threads about every book and movie that comes out. And fourth, just because it doesn't really fit toy's average attitude, it's still where it belongs. It's like when Homestuck General got kicked off of /co/ and tried to start a general on /vg/ because there was a game coming out at some point. Didn't work because it's jank.
[/autism]
>>
Would spinning smaller things (pens, butterfly knives) count?

It's something I do a lot.
>>
File: rock-balancing-michael-grab-02.jpg (65KB, 948x1442px) Image search: [Google]
rock-balancing-michael-grab-02.jpg
65KB, 948x1442px
Putting rocks on other rocks is my favorite traditional game.

Any other stackey-stoney-all-aloney gamers out there?
>>
>>51559837
>Not calling it Rock Lock Just You And Your Cock
Eat glass.
>>
>>51559870
You yanks and your dumb names for things.

I do hope you enjoy your big handegg contest tomorrow.
>>
>>51559899
>>51559870
>>51559837
You're both niggers. It's Pebble Solitaire.
>>
>>51559899
Sports! Sports are about as traditional as games can get! We should have sports threads, because /sp/ is full of shitwhistles and other convoluted reasons.
>>
>>51557901
>contact juggling
>traditional
I don't know enough to dispute it, but whatever. I used to do that shit, I still have a few acrylic spheres lying around. I stopped because I was sick of being called "The Ball Guy" with constant "playing with your balls" jokes.

They're not funny the first time, they get less funny each time you hear them. Fuck, I used to legitimately enjoy contact juggling too...
>>
>>51562547
I agree with everything except "they're not funny the first time." They could be funny the first time if phrased carefully.

But shit, just tell them you don't find it funny and do your thing, man.
>>
>>51562547
According to Wikipedia, some moves of contact juggling are centuries old but the practice as it exists today is much newer.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.