[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to I make a spooky as shit dream sequence? Let me explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

How to I make a spooky as shit dream sequence?

Let me explain what's going on. A few month ago, the party defeated their first major boss, a mayor who was also a wizard and secretly the leader of a cult. Rather than killing him, the decided to cut out his eyes (because he tried to cut out the face's eyes), cut off his hands (because he successfully cut off one of the necromancer's hands), and cut his tongue (so he couldn't cast spells). At which point, the face said something along the lines of, "he's useless now. He's not a threat." Then he looked across the table and idly challenged me to have him make a return, and promptly forgot about it.

But I haven't.

So while the party's been off hunting werewolves and such, the mayor has been brewing a spell. My plan is to use (read: fiat) Pathfinder's occult rules to suck them into a veiled mindscape, so that they don't even know they're in a mindscape. My plan is start have it start very mundane (such as, it's a foggy day), and slowly get more and more bizarre and surreal (you open the door and find yourself on the ceiling).

So how do I spook the shit out of them?
>>
>So how do I spook the shit out of them?
You can't spook them unless they're in the mood to be spooked.
That's a general rule of spooking, but your medium leaves very little to work with. So it's extra apparent.

What I'd do, is routinely ask them for Will saves.
Maybe ask for a whole bunch of Will saves in a row, once they start asking about it.
Passing the Will saves is meaningless. When they do, tell them something feels off.

And just... keep asking for saves. For the whole session.
It won't spook them, but it'll get under their skin.
>>
File: ekkimu.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ekkimu.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Tom Moldvay brings us a piece of True AD&D™ that TSR 2158 tried to hide with its Monstrous Manual-style cut-down monster entries.

Moldvay/Cook fans, enjoy this monster.
>>
File: laugh3.jpg (262KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
laugh3.jpg
262KB, 517x768px
>>51534354
>True Anon™ actually came here from /osrg/
It took me about 3 minutes to resume normal breathing.
t. >>51533486

On an unrelated note,
>Such a category is essentially meaningless when ap-
>plied to the undead, who contribute nothing to living ecologies.
You can practically taste his spite. That's not part of the write-up, it was clearly a note to the editor.
>>
Some good suggestions here courtesy of Halloween thread like 2 -3years ago. Atmosphere is important, so narration needs to be on point. They also have to come to realizations on their own for it to be really unsettling. You telling them that they're on the ceiling isn't scary, but describing a normal room with a chandler upon first entering the room, then having them return a little while later and say "You bump into the chandler." Ideally they would then ask, "oh, it fell down?" To which you respond, "No." When they draw their own conclusions, it's far spookier.
>>
>>51534486
>>51534532
This is the new /osrg/ thread. The old one was stale and dying, this was the new one linked.

So this is the new OSRG thread. Deal with it.
>>
>>51533178
look up lucid dreaming tricks for a better idea.

>every time you turn around or turn corners your location changes slightly
>places are familiar but misplaced (your childhood home is down the block from your favorite bar)
>your physical capability is greatly limited by your willpower (I've had dreams where I punch like a sledgehammer and dreams where I can't land a slap on an old man's jaw)
>your movement is irregular and is greatly slowed by your sense of urgency (walking is faster than running)
>whatever is following you is either so enormous it cannot be judged how close it is to catching you or so indistinct you cannot tell what it is
>>
>>51534580
>>51534512
>>51533786
>>51533178
Off-topic. This is the /osrg/ thread. Fuck off with your Victorian Halloween bullshit.
>>
>>51534555 ed
>The old one was stale and dying,
>So this is the new OSRG thread.
Hey, speaking of which...

>>51504819
>>
>>51534555
Is "Negro" racist? Or is "Free Man" silencing experiences of oppression?
>>
>>51534486
>>51534532
Fucking niggers, it was published on Halloween as a specifically spooky monster by one of the masters of D&D. How about I take it and shove it up my OWN ass then if it's not good enough for spooking your faggot nigger players.
>>
>>51533178
>My plan is to use (read: fiat) Pathfinder's occult rules to suck them into a veiled mindscape
> Pathfinder's occult rules
WOW you might as welll just play 3.PF at that point
>>
>>51534589

>he laughs, while snorting and pushing up his glasses
>>
>>51534619
I appreciate it, I was just surprised to see you here.

>>51533178
Tell your players before hand that you're trying to be spooky, so they can go along with it.
And many set the tone with some music?
>>
>>51534619
I think Nigger is too much, man. Your table would be cool playing that?
>>
>>51534631
I... I am playing Pathfinder.
>>
>>51534876
Here's some on-point vidya videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyRxlvM9VM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKtTBjSBg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTznlEkzfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyiAR2BXtKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-EY9gTsgU
>>
>>51534876
Play ACKS
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.