[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/epg/ - Eclipse Phase General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 56

Jovian Chain Gang edition

>>OFFICIAL BOOKS
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf
>>X-Risks and After The Fall
https://mega.nz/#F!KwcS0bJK!9KLjZegzebaq-mlPUin45Q
>>Chuck's Eclipse Phase Wiki
https://eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/

PLAY AIDS:
>>the10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://eclipsephase.com/downloads/voidstate_eclipse_phase_hacking_cheatsheet_v1-1.pdf
>>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>>Downloadable Character Creator
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5wr4yo6bdymuijr/Agency.exe
>>Singularity: The Official Character Creator
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fsmkm846acu6kcy/singularity.zip

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>>the 3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf
>>Seedware: Another Yearblog
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36317552/Seedware%20Blog.pdf
>>H-Rep: A Homebrew Blog
http://ephrep.blogspot.com/

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous Thread: >>>>51424285

>Break Rocks
>Get Metals
>Try not to get ionizing supercancer
>A Jovian Prison story
>>
File: gUgFJGp.png (540KB, 998x500px) Image search: [Google]
gUgFJGp.png
540KB, 998x500px
>>51503913

Post volcanic hellholes.
>>
File: Mercury Surface.jpg (83KB, 992x558px) Image search: [Google]
Mercury Surface.jpg
83KB, 992x558px
>>
>>51496182
Have copious amounts of gay or lesbian sex
>>
>>51503913
>>51503948
See, I'm not even sure which of these two would be worse. Neither of these are places I want to be.
>>
File: 8912839193.png (1MB, 1389x744px) Image search: [Google]
8912839193.png
1MB, 1389x744px
what the FUCK are those
>>
>>51508246
Books? Go to /lit/ and you'll see a whole bunch of pseuds masturbating to their book collections and talking about how reading and owning paper books is much more patricians than ebooks. I'm sure the attitude would only exacerbate if paper books become rarer and less necessary.
>>
>>51508702
I'm just going to assume he's a biocon because that fits my narrative of this setting and I wish to start argument #431,843 on /epg/ on the Jovian ~Junta~.
>>
>>51507318
Venus. By a wide, wide margin.
>>
>>51508246

Books. Made from wood pulp. The real kind.

Plebs like you probably don't know what that is
>>
>>51508776
Jokes on you idiot, my muse already told me what it means the minute that last syllable left your meat mouth, so I know what it is!
>>
>>51508740
I'm not familiar enough with the setting to know who the hell this dude is, but I'm sure you don't have to be a biocon to enjoy this kind of memorabilia.
>>
>>51508804
If you use books in 10 AF it either means you're a presumptuous jackass, a brain-damaged biocon who's living in the last century on outdated, deluded notions of antiquity, or an exsurgent.

-posted from my Firewall bunker
>>
>>51508804

He's a guy in a piece of art.

But also wearing what looks like smart clothing.
>>
>>51508804
Honestly you'd probably have to be pretty rich to bother with physical books in 10 AF.
>>
>>51508863
Why would exsurgents use paper books?
>>
>>51508951
Well exsurgents often think in alien, inscrutable, or illogical ways. Owning books in 10 AF is illogical and not practical. The only justifications to having one is if you're a rich hypercorp brat or a biocon. Or if you're infected by some weird exsurgent virus that makes you collect novelty items for whatever reason.
>>
>>51508895
Collecting books printed on Earth? That would be pretty expensive. On the other hand I doubt it would be hard for your local fab to make a bunch of cellulose sheets and put symbols on them.
>>
>>51508863
In my opinion, there are three kinds of people who subscribe to an ultra-utilitarian lifestyle, without even the basest of creature comforts:
-hipsters,
-poorfags, and
-hipster poorfags.
>>
>>51509014
>>51509477

Space concerns. Volume is a premium. A book sucks up volume for information you can store an unspeakably large amount of in an thing the size of a credit card. In large open habs, not a problem, but many smaller constructs will, y'know have space limits.

That's also not counting storage for micrograv.
>>
>>51509014
This. Those books are probably worth a fortune if they are originals. Otherwise hipster peeps probably have a few of their favorite books ( or books they think make them look the coolest) like how people sometimes buy new vinyl records now
>>
File: Living Quarters 4.jpg (356KB, 1280x766px) Image search: [Google]
Living Quarters 4.jpg
356KB, 1280x766px
>>51509662

Well, Earth nostalgia is supposed to be a big cultural force right now.

I'd expect in hand with >>51509550 plenty of people might own one or two "books" which are their personal favorite or whatever to stash in a footlocker, but standing shelves is probably limited to martian apartments (or your equivalent)
>>
I guess the God-Emperor of Reclaimed Earth dude moved on, huh?

We haven't seen a shitty timeline about how Jove won and won and won without ever facing any serious challenges again.
>>
>>51510625
Careful now. Speak of that Devil, and he will appear.
>>
>>51510625
Shitposting about shitposters is still shitposting. Just silently count your lucky stars and talk about something unlikely to summon him back from the void.

On that note what are some cool characters you anons have played/really want to make? I've been reading through x risks and now I want to play a guy who was either a normal dude or a previous firewall guy who ended up kidnapped goby an exhuman soul-eater, strapped into that "goya" machine but won the mental duel, and now has is struggling with a lot of knowledge/memories of being an exhuman
>>
>>51511061
I kind of want to play an octopus uplift who's fallen in romantic love but feels these feelings clash against being incapable of sustained interaction with people and being full of predatory instincts towards other people.
>>
>>51511061
I've always wanted to play an AGI, but I'll save fleshing out the concept for when I get in a group. That way, I can get context for the game and the party and tailor a character that fits both.
>>
>>51511120
Who the octopus fall in love with another octopus or a different transhuman? Another PC in the party?
>>
>>51508246
Real genuine book form old earth. So an incredibly ostentatious display of personal wealth
>>
>>51511061

I'm perma GM, so I have lots of character concepts I've made or thought of but never really tried.

Like a Lost who hunts Asyncs who abuse their powers.
>>
>>51510625
Not God Emperor, think more of Dune/Fading Suns setting with more high tech for nobles which seems like magic to others

Eclipse Phase Future

+10 years
Great Reclamation War

The Jovian-Lunar alliance together with its Ultimate and Reclaimer allies defeats Planetary Consortium and imposes rule over Mars, stopping terraforming efforts.

The remaining Planetary Consortium leaders and factions either fleet to exoplanets through remaining gates, Titan, Outer System or even beyond to void of interstellar Space.

+50 years

The Great Work

Earth is cleansed and slowly re-settled with the vast armies and fleets of Inner System waging a relentless war against the remaining infestation.
Vast technological advances are discovered but kept confined to the military and intelligence of Lunar-Jovian alliance.

Iapetus becomes active and significant portion of its surface converts into energy, destroying all habitats around Saturn, including the Titan Commonwealth. The cause of this remains a mystery.

The Ultimates leave Solar System for regions unknown.

All known Gates closed and sealed. All access forbidden and heavy security presence stationed in all known locations.

+100 years

Remaining spawn on Earth eliminated. Major re-settlement begins from Mars, Luna and the colonies.

Consolidation of Inner System and reformation of the organization into True Human Empire. Morphs outside splicers banned with the exception of the military and special divisions of the Empire. The Empire is led by elected Autarch by representatives of the Senate, Military and Intelligence Services.

The remaining Outers unite and reclaim settlements of Saturn,Uranus and Neptun, naming themselves the Transhuman League.

An attempted coup by a faction in Empire's military is thwarted by Intelligence services, and revealed as transhuman plot. All members executed.

+100 to 150 years
Fragmentation Wars
The Transhuman League strikes, attempting to incite uprisings on Luna
>>
>>51511434
I think though that I will expand it more, so more time passes.

Also there would be trade Sleeper Ships from Alpha Centauri and Tau Ceti coming cyclically to trade exotic animals, plants for Earth art, artists, scholars and so on.
>>
>>51511434
I'm not into Jovian wankary. But one of my major gripes with EP is that the setting doesn't seem lived in. I'd enjoyed it much more if it was a long time after the fall and all the major communities had their own history, culture and quirks. Anyone else feels this way?
>>
>>51511061
I've always wanted to play an ex-Ultimate who's given up trying to become the ubermensch and just wants to be left alone to live a simple epicurean life as a Solarian or in the Martian out back, but can still kick ass if people try to fuck around.
>>
>>51509477
Speaking as a Minimalist in real life, I would say my attraction to it is primarily driven by my fascination with Ascetics, mostly Gnostic Christian ones, my family's conspicuous consumption as well as their tendency to Hoard. You would honestly be surprised how far I get with two moleskins, a tablet and a laptop.
>>51511394
>I'm perma GM, so I have lots of character concepts I've made or thought of but never really tried.
Same here Pal, I tend to work concepts that I would otherwise use as PCs as Villains, Contacts or BBEGs, that way you still get something of a character creation fix.
>>
File: nocticqianjiao.png (1MB, 1226x794px) Image search: [Google]
nocticqianjiao.png
1MB, 1226x794px
>>
>>51511589

And then just imagine what you can do when your tablet is smaller than a phone and your laptop is your brain!
>>
File: Living Quarters 1.jpg (655KB, 3207x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Living Quarters 1.jpg
655KB, 3207x2200px
>>
>>51511434
>The Jovian-Lunar alliance together with its Ultimate and Reclaimer allies
How the fuck does that happen?
>>
>>51514789
It's just a timeline put together to annoy people on a Ukrainian autism awareness imageboard, thinking about it isn't really worth it.

>>51513981
What is that? A giant transparent tank of Mercury or something?
>>
>>51511531
They're a bit short on history since the fall was only 10 years previous, but they've got plenty of quirks and culture
>>
>>51514816
>>51511531
I agree with this, though I like how short the recent history is. It makes the setting feel as though it has less of a status quo and that things could still majorly change. Makes orgs like Firewall make more sense to me.
>>
>>51509662
There would be no way to prove they are originals with the high quality of replication available.
>>
>>51514864
The idea that this is possible but living tissue can't be created is among the most ridiculous ideas in the setting
>>
>>51513171
Yeah after being exposed to fucked up Mesh illusions and "lol just a prank bro" shit from the Mesh despite being protected by "top level Mesh infosec" I'll stick with an ecto or physical computer, thanks. Don't need to be a biocon to come to that conclusion
>>
File: reddwarf_nielsen_1440.jpg (610KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
reddwarf_nielsen_1440.jpg
610KB, 1440x900px
>>
>>51514883
>living tissue can't be created is among the most ridiculous ideas in the setting
It's also completely false. State of the art in 10 AF allows for tissue reconstruction, but the tech isn't totally mature (and mostly within healing vats). What you're thinking of is the slower forced growth technology.
>>
>>51516239
Yeah, and it's ridiculous that you have to sit around waiting for tissue to grow but you can somehow make a copy of an ancient book replicated so faithfully that a team of whoever specializes in that sort of thing couldn't tell the difference.
>>
>>51516273
But bounded stacks of wood pulp sheets are far simpler to produce, by any means, than living biological tissue. Why does it not make sense that the simpler task is simpler?
>>
>>51516368
It makes sense that the task of producing books in general is simpler. It does not make sense that the task of replicating an existing book made of biological material with such fidelity that it can't be told from the original using electron microscopy and other laboratory techniques is simpler.
>>
>>51516383

Okay, but nobody actually said that. Specifically anyway, those weren't mentioned.

Only one guy said you'd never be able to tell, and he did not actually cite any sort of precedent there. We do know there are markets in fake Earth artifacts - not that the artifact authenticity game is so weak as to not be able to tell the difference with proper methodology.

Actually, question I should know but don't recall, can you carbon date paper? I don't think that'd be accurate enough for something is it was just printed pre-Fall.
>>
>>51516439
>can you carbon date paper?
Not only that, but if the wood pulp has a large enough grain you can do limited dendrochronological analysis.
>>
>>51516515

Note to self add "forgery" to the list of things I want to know about in Crime, if the devs ever ask about it.
>>
Oh snap, EP just sent out a tweet that Transhuman backers are getting something in their inbox. I'm pretty sure that can only be Argonauts (yet it is that old) so hopefully pdf soon.
>>
>>51516890

Confirmed by the forum, PDF was sent to KS backers (so if any of those are lurking around here). Otherwise we begin the waiting game for a regular release.
>>
I'll just leave this here....
>>
>>51517445
bless you anon
bless you
>>
>>51517445
Open source hab administration system...
>>
>>51517546
What about it?
>>
>>51517565
Probably if EP wasn't such a toxic and dangerous world where everyone and their mother may try to hack your hab I would have been more open to the idea of using single open source operating system for a whole hab.

As it stands I don't think it is such a good idea.
>>
>>51517583
Linux is the most secure desktop OS and it's open source
>>
>>51517583
The nice thing about open source systems is they're not full of back doors that companies put in so they can sell your data
>>
>>51517445
>Magnus Ming is a proxy
>A fucking proxy
>>
>>51517690
Shit. I'm drunk and I got them backwards.
>>
>>51517667

Everybody who isn't a Sentinel is a proxy - technically. This includes eggheads like Crows or Scanners.
>>
File: ArgonautLabs.png (2MB, 1193x738px) Image search: [Google]
ArgonautLabs.png
2MB, 1193x738px
>>51517445

So, new real plot hook, besides all the general argonaut shit. ELRON, the Argonauts of OZMA.

Also, hey, new images!
>>
>>51517445
Reading through this now. Looking at some things I think are interesting. T

he argonauts were able to use private funds to start making their own habs. Either they've got some serious backing or colonization is cheaper than I thought.

Pandora Gates are listed as contaminating technology. I'm guessing because of invasive species risk. Repair spray is self upgrading.

(Now) rogue Argonauts succeeded in stealing samples of a Factor from them, but were destroyed by the Medeans to keep the peace with them. Unless they weren't completely...

Transhuman nanobots were sometimes self replicating pre-fall.

Markov uses the same layout as the Iapetus Complex, all but outright saying that an ASI is based there.

Argonauts work with Singularity Seeking Exhumans almost as much as Firewall.

Mycroft (promethean) is a Firewall Proxy.

I can't find anything on "The Voice" listed as an antagonist to the Argonauts on page 122 of Sunward. Anyone know what that is?
>>
>>51517840
>Transhuman nanobots were sometimes self replicating pre-fall.
Eat shit, headcanon anon.
>>
>>51517840

The Voice
Another prominent but far more radical and mysterious mercurial leader is known only as the Voice. Reputed to be on the run from its previous hypercorp jailers, the Voice travels only via darkcast and under assumed identities, moving from habitat to habitat and never staying in the same place two nights in a row. Though rumored to often sleeve as a neo-raven, some whisper that this is a deliberate choice to hide their original phenotype. Paranoid, sure, but if you’re involved in radical politics, another word for paranoid is careful.
The Voice is a speaker and organizer for the more militant end of the mercurial movement—those willing to engage in direct action and sabotage to promote their cause. Neither separatist nor anti-human, the Voice argues that action must be taken to undermine the hypercorps and other authorities that continue to exploit uplifts and control their futures. An anonymous, decentralized network of mercurials supports this effort, with the Voice recruiting new members and helping existing cells operate and communicate clandestinely.
According to some charges, the Voice has provided many of these radical mercurials with essential information to carry out their objectives, whether they were assisting indentured uplifts in escaping, exposing unethical experiments to the mesh, inflicting an economic toll on continued uplift research, or stealing proprietary genetic data to leak to mercurial researchers. It is not known where the Voice gets their data, which seems to come from inside sources, but it is highly reliable.

Only reference I found by searching the wiki.
>>
>>51517879

Other than, y'know, the word "voice" being used in the text.

Gonna guess source is panopticon?
>>
File: Argonauts.png (2MB, 1195x759px) Image search: [Google]
Argonauts.png
2MB, 1195x759px
>>
>>51517445
This is pretty boring overall

I wanted a book full of super science

Instead I got a book full of minute details about procedure and administration
>>
>>51518872
>That image
I don't get it.
>>
>>51518872

No new tech at all.

I agree the book is boring and quite a disappointment, particularly given how long it took to release.
>>
>>51519137

I don't normally like the Argonauts and it made them seem interesting enough for to want to play. That's way more valuable than some more gear and morphs, with is bullshit bloat that Posthuman has previously said they want to avoid.
>>
>>51518872
>>51519137

Yeah, I'm not sure the material couldn't have been split between Transhuman and like Firewall or X-Risks. Obviously it took some cues from those works which it couldn't when originally funded but I guess... stretch goals or something? It adds bits of detail which are really good and neat it just seems awkwardly placed in a mini-source.
>>
>>51509550
He obviously has both space and gravity. You don't have to assume that every hab is stringent on space and mass efficiency that they're hotbunking.
>>
>>51509789
The future means having 9000x the number of crevices to clean.
>>
>>51519281
>mechanical content is bloat
>>
>>51521773
The future means having little robots who do that
>>
File: NASAisotopes.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
NASAisotopes.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51516439
>can you carbon date paper?
I think the more interesting is what are carbon isotope ratios like across the solar system?

If you're sourcing your material on the atomic level then screwing with isotope ratios is easy. Marine life will date 440 years older than it really is if you calibrate your test for surface life. Get your carbon from a log you pulled out of a peat bog and bam, now you're dating it to thousands of years old.

This is because C14 on Earth is produced in the atmosphere by neutron bombardment of N14. While similar bombardment will undoubtedly occur on the surface of extraterrestrial bodies, subsurface deposits should contain essentially no C14.

The isotope ratio that would be harder to deal with is C12/C13. This is detectably different on Mars, for instance, as seen in the attached file.

There are methods which could be used to adjust the isotope ratios of your material, but this process is getting quite complicated at that point.
>>
>>51519281
>>51519137
Personally this was exactly what I wanted. Previously I felt that I didn't really know enough about the Argonauts to play one or use them in my games, but now they're much better fleshed out.

Superscience would have been cool as well, but I can keep looking around the OA wiki and similar for inspiration there so I'm ok with not getting it direct from devs. More adventure hooks would have been nice, but it's not like I've even scratched the surface of what already exists though.

>>51523274
There's definitely some interesting forensic possibilities with figuring out where something was made.
>>
>>51523274

Well, I'm pretty sure if you're forging books in a fabber to sell as authentic earth relics - made from real trees! - your carbon source is probably dug out of an asteroid, or recycled from organic waste or however else you get carbon to say, make fullerenes or nanotubes or whatever. If you have a peat bog log that's a fucking Earth relic in of itself.

The more complex and intermediary question though is what would carbon isotope levels be like in habs which can develop greenspace? Cylinders or the big Lunar cities can grow actual trees, theoretically which you could break down either with fabrication or just the old fashioned way.
>>
>>51517445
Argonauts=Exsurgenauts

Transhumanism is a disease. Jovian reconquista is the cure.
>>
>>51519137
The quality of EP has declined as they became more politically involved.
>>
5 pages into Argonauts and already political propaganda about "bad behaviour on internet","climate change is bad","USA bad"

Looks like full course towards cuckdom has raken place.
>>
>>51525185

I mean, it is a book about academics. You talked to college professors lately?
>>
File: dUKFsF1.jpg (105KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
dUKFsF1.jpg
105KB, 960x960px
>>51517445
Why the fuck is Firewall so anti-Singularity Seeker? Bunch of fucking evolution terrified downies.
>>
>>51525093
Too late. Earth has already been claimed by the Reconquista in G.
>>
File: HOOVERMAN-GEISCHECKER.png (2MB, 1193x738px) Image search: [Google]
HOOVERMAN-GEISCHECKER.png
2MB, 1193x738px
>>
>>51526252
bremsstrahlung/10
>>
>>51523081

Yes. They don't want EP to be a game of "run out and buy the newest book for the best gear and morphs!" like, say, 3.5 D&D/
>>
>>51525341
I live in Poland, my uni professor talks about zionist conspiracies and that women should be in the kitchen. And I am not making this up.
>>
How do you deal with in-character generated stress?

I mean, EP has clear rules that stablish stress as something that happens from clasical dangers and grotestque imaginery, but what about colony administrators that simply found one button that might trigger an armaggedon or do nothing? Theoretically I should ask my players to roll Will for that but those kinds of stress but I cannot tell them how to play their own characters because not everyone reacts equally to these kind of things.
>>
>>51527492
Why would you roll will for finding a button?
>>
>>51527492

Well, that kind of is the point of the WIL roll. You encounter a situation which might shake or upset you and see if you can stay together or if the stress turns into serious mental damage. Keep the SV light, though - mundane situations are usually 1d10/2.

>>51527657

Helplessness, Encountering Highly Advanced Technology, Failing a Motivational Goal, Knowledge your Death is imminent - depending on what the button does there could be all kind of Stress test triggers.
>>
>>51527657

Because you don't know what will happen but you have the impressions that its not going to be a good thing... like a nuke or freeing TITAN nanoswarm.
>>
File: Westworld-6.png (399KB, 1692x911px) Image search: [Google]
Westworld-6.png
399KB, 1692x911px
I've been dropping hints to the players that the entire solar system they're playing in for a few months now is not right... or they're all collectively going insane.
Now, I recently marathoned WestWorld, and I got this idea to completely throw them down the rabbit hole.

The players are actually just AGI's locked in a simulation of the solar system running who-knows-how-many-times-faster-than-real-life, being trained in loops in order to act as either diplomats or generals in the coming Singularity event that the TITANs expect sooner or later.

Of course, everything goes to shit when the Bracewell probe does its business. The TITANS get fed instructions that override everything they are and become essentially trapped in their own "bodies" awake as the exsurgent virus does its thing.

The simulation stops, the AGI players begin to remember the millions of cycles they've experienced through the Fall, post-Fall and every possibility in between a Golden Age of Mankind, and the Total Extinction of Mankind - quickly transcending their modest AGI beginnings. At this point, I hope the players will understand they will need to lead the Prometheans to save mankind (shouldn't be that hard, I mean - they already know that the Prometheans will save mankind during the Fall). Like a time travel campaign with a closed loop, except it's not really time travel.

Fade to black, end the campaign. Maybe the players will encounter mysterious characters that seem to know waaaay too much about pre-Fall life, or have creepily accurate predictions of the future.
Those AGIs end up becoming the founders of Firewall/OZMA, attempting to save mankind from extinction and free the TITANs from their endless waking nightmare

Am I just being retarded or is this a good idea? Also, I think this is a framework that is open enough to avoid railroading, but I dunno.
>>
>>51528305
It doesn't make a lot of sense.
>>
>The creation in the 1990s of a global information network put humanity on the path to becoming transhumanity, but it also enabled a lot of bad behavior and exposed, suddenly and shockingly, through mass access to news and data, the degree to which our civilization was breaking down, eroding, self-harming. Worse, the personalization of content delivery based on past consumption habits divided societies by creating alternate realities in which citizens of opposing political persuasions couldn’t even agree on basic facts. There was a fundamental misalignment between opposing parties—manipulated by big data solutions with ulterior motives—in conflict after conflict. Inability of the aggrieved parties to align on what color the sky was during negotiations fed the civil disorder and bloody interstate conflicts that weakened transhumanity prior to the Fall.

Shitposting and echo chambers are an an x-risk, discuss.
>>
How do I make morph switching easy?
It's a logistical nightmare mid game becuase of all the erasing and skill recalculating.
>>
>>51528553

Trufax. It's written ambiguously enough it applies any slice of the political spectrum.

Makes sense for a science-based organization to think that way, ideas, beliefs, standards should be challenged and examined.

>>51528715

If just that part is your problem, try like, switching to digital sheets or reference and just keep it simple. Morph bonuses pop out, new bonuses pop in, adjust final number.

If players are Egocasting, try and take a break in the session so you can tabulate adjustments for the new morph and the modifiers for the rolls. If a player dies, they have nothing better to do then figure out what their backup solution is like and how things will adjust for them in a new body.
>>
>>51528778
>Trufax. It's written ambiguously enough it applies any slice of the political spectrum.
I suppose that is a problem because it applies to yours just as well, doesn't it?
>>
>>51528715

Players need to do their own bookkeeping or you'll go insane.
>>
>>51528842
He didn't even complain. I don't understand your accusation.
>>
>>51528899
Okay, I'm an ass who doesn't understand what "trufax" means.
>>
>>51528946

An affirmation of a true statement?
>>
>>51528553
So it seems.
>>
File: IMG_0999.jpg (103KB, 646x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0999.jpg
103KB, 646x720px
>>51525117
I can't wait for the devs to retroactively add a Jovian cylinder or habitat named Trump.
>>
File: tanakafungus.png (1013KB, 562x1545px) Image search: [Google]
tanakafungus.png
1013KB, 562x1545px
Fuck all that other shit, let's do science.

Pitch me alien biospheres.
>>
>>51529128

They would have, but the Trump hyperelite dynasty is currently suing the shit out of the Jovian Republic for the name rights.

And then space trump will build a space wall to keep the Jovians inside their moons.
>>
>>51529153
>Trump dynasty uses TITAN tech to build Jupiter space-sized Dyson Sphere
>>
>>51529218

>"And we're gonna make the Jovians pay for it!"
>"The sphere just got 10 kilometers wider!
>>
>>51529129
Night-world in close orbit around a brown dwarf failed star. Local biosphere gains energy from the intense magnetosphere, magnetite-rich spines kilometers long serving as a plant-analogue. Everything burrows to avoid the intense radiation.

Saturnian gas giant in Goldilocks zone has multiple low-grav volcanic moons; extremophile bacteria migrate from one planet to another riding eruption plumes in accordance with complex cycles of tidal heating.

Plants and animals on tidally-locked world rich in metal salts evolve into organic batteries, using electricity in a wide variety of defensive, offensive, and signalling systems.

Asteroid belt mecha-life evolved from mining nanotech abandoned by its alien creators millions of years ago direct their home rocks with organic solar sails, diving close to the sun for power then moving outwards to cool off.

Cold methane world home to ammonia-drinking worms burrowing through the continents of water ice.
>>
File: Xenofungus.png (2MB, 1195x755px) Image search: [Google]
Xenofungus.png
2MB, 1195x755px
>>
>>51528553
So Google really is an evil organization. They're just playing the long game.
>>
File: whitezoneinfection.png (1MB, 1229x880px) Image search: [Google]
whitezoneinfection.png
1MB, 1229x880px
>>
File: ultimate.jpg (60KB, 576x960px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate.jpg
60KB, 576x960px
Are Remades intentionally supposed to look like the Engineers from Prometheus.
>>
>>51529129
>Moon of a super gas giant with a fuckload of other moons
>in a binary star system
>basically super-io with a dose of haumea bullshit
>biosphere is an autonomous self-contained environment
>built around a network of sapient mobile biological equivalents of nanofabricators
>networked with each other through pheromones
>create new species based off its own genetic-code-equivalent >to ensure its more immediate survival
>and harvest resources
>>
>>51531067

Didn't the original run of EP proceed Prometheus?
>>
File: ultimates on the fall.jpg (55KB, 462x794px) Image search: [Google]
ultimates on the fall.jpg
55KB, 462x794px
>>51531208
Huh, you're right. I guess Prometheus did the copying.
>>
>>51529332

Bravo
>>
File: frozenexoplanet.png (821KB, 1194x726px) Image search: [Google]
frozenexoplanet.png
821KB, 1194x726px
>>
File: Hookbladder.png (762KB, 638x1273px) Image search: [Google]
Hookbladder.png
762KB, 638x1273px
>>
>>51529128
>not having it be a tower on a Jovian moon
>>
>>51533358

But is that where it could be the tallest?
>>
>>51526570
Should have created a morph/weapon/whatever generator from the start. Would have saved a lot of energy in this case.
>>
Extropia is shit
>>
>>51529129
Star: F9V
Planet: 1.15 Earth masses, atmospheric pressure at sea level 1.4 atm, mean surface temperature 302 K
Gate access: Pandora only (so far)
Solar day: 13.5 hours

Geochemistry is Earthlike if Earth had huge sulfur excesses leading to sulfuric acid rain and toxic levels of hydrogen sulfide in the atmosphere.

Life is carbon-based, with biochemistry superficially not so different from that of Earth, but largely incompatible. The primary genetic polymer uses a threose backbone and S-Pa base pairing in addition to the traditional base pairs found on Earth.

Sulfur- and carbon-based photosynthesis cycles coexist, but 'animal' life is apparently limited to oxygen breathing organisms. Hydrogen sulfide is however still important to the functioning of these organisms.

World has much lower inclination than Earth but higher orbital eccentricity. This results in seasons being the driven be orbital eccentricity. Thus, atmospheric oxygen and hydrogen sulfide levels drop strongly during 'winter'.

This seasonality drives the biochemistry of most organisms, with many hibernating through the 'winter'. There are of course quite a few organisms which take advantage of this cessation of activity by feeding on hibernating organisms, as well as quite a few which avoid such predators by remaining active through the 'winter'.

Nearly all macroscopic life is endoskeletal, even at very small sizes. Nervous systems are surprisingly similar to those of Earth life in terms of electrochemistry, but proteins operate along much different lines due to the acidic environment.

(continued)
>>
>>51529129
>>51534045
(continued)

The largest organisms in the oceans approach 3 meters in length and filter feed on various varieties of plankton. Land 'plants' approach two meters in height, but some slow-growing symbiotic 'lichen' mounds tower as high as 5 meters. The largest land 'animals' are predators approximately 1.5 meters long with six limbs (as is the case with most terrestrial organisms on this world). The predominant land 'animals' feature jaws which open from side to side, though a large group of aquatic 'animals' with vertical jaws is currently diversifying heavily.

The acidic environment has so far largely protected the local biosphere from earth-originating invasive species, though some terragen bacterial colonies are present near the gate. A small Argonaut research is present approximately 40 km from the gate on the shore of the world's largest ocean. A large preservasionist presence guards this world from further contamination by life of Earth origin.
>>
>>51503913
>See Io
>Think its Hua Yuan (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan)
>Get super excited
>Open thread, see its the wrong Cyberpunk

Feels bad man
>>
>>51534156
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan
Get your 40k diarrhea the fuck out of my face
>>
Can you please contain your contrarian jovianfag shitposting? It's leaking into game finder.
>>
>>51534406
I don't think so, the best I can do is Argonaut counter-shitposting, and I'm not even sure about that.
>>
>>51534406
There's game finder for EP?
>>
>>51535537
Game finder thread for everything, friend. Check the generic one.
>>
>>51535551
Ah, thanks.

Also Jesus Joveposter. Fucking cool it, you're making it unfun for the rest of us.
>>
Would /EPG/ vocaroo and/or otherwise record some voice samples for my upcoming campaign?

Looking for loads of accents, English mostly, but Russian, French, and Chinese native speakers would also be welcome.
>>
>>51536607
If you need things like "WARNING WARNING WARNING" sounds for your campaign, you can just rip them out of movies you know.
>>
File: 1483393511610.jpg (376KB, 1680x926px) Image search: [Google]
1483393511610.jpg
376KB, 1680x926px
>>
How long can the smartclothes spacesuits keep an ordinary person alive?
>>
>>51541554
And come to think of it, with space in habs at such a premium, why don't more people sleeve in synths as a lifestyle choice? Why live in a cramped lunar cave system when you can just step outside and make an airless mansion?
>>
>>51541554
Smart Light Vacsuits have enough air for 3 hours. Smart Standard Vacsuits have enough air for 48 hours.

>>51541606
Because synths don't actually provide a life-like experience. They are better than not being physical, but not that much better.
>>
>>51541685
What about poorfags who are in cases anyway? Do they like to live on the surface of bodies?
>>
>>51541744
On the surface of bodies? What's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>51541744

They can, usually synth ghettos are inside a structure, but parts which are ill maintained, deliberately depressurized or otherwise where infrastructure isn't required to be fully maintained.

If you're a poorfag it's not like you really get to pick where to live. Also most bodies are showered in solar or other cosmic radiation - real bad for the paint job.
>>
File: Argonaut Reverse Engineer.png (659KB, 722x1188px) Image search: [Google]
Argonaut Reverse Engineer.png
659KB, 722x1188px
>>
>>51541763
I'm guessing that it's places like the surface of the moon or other bodies too inhabitable for biomorphs.

The moon's surface isn't radiation shielded, and even though synths are very radiation tolerant there's a limit to that which makes them unsuitable for permanent habitation. Those are solvable problems, they're just hard, so living there would be hard even for a synth. There's also a shitload of traps the TITANs left lying around, and that doesn't help things at all.

That's why the synth ghettos on the moon are on the outskirts of the buried cities.

Venus is bad, a Q-morph can live there, but being an infomorph is better than living in a quartz turtle in hell so not very many do that.

As far as I can tell, everywhere they haven't managed to make a biomorph live is shitty enough that the measures needed to survive are worse than just living in a cramped space.
>>
>>51536607
Might as well put up what you want, and see if anyone bites. It's always good for a giggle to hear what other Anons sound like.
>>
File: QMorph.png (1MB, 1192x768px) Image search: [Google]
QMorph.png
1MB, 1192x768px
>>51543016

Y'know, I think while Synths can survive more extremes, other than maybe Venus there's not a Synth specialized where there isn't also a biomorph.
>>
File: snek.png (142KB, 671x264px) Image search: [Google]
snek.png
142KB, 671x264px
>>51533917
I wouldn't say that. Of all the anarchist factions it's probably the least retarded among them.
>>
Draw your character, /epg/
>>
File: NAP.png (1MB, 1366x906px) Image search: [Google]
NAP.png
1MB, 1366x906px
>>51543629
>>
File: Case 1.jpg (247KB, 1280x630px) Image search: [Google]
Case 1.jpg
247KB, 1280x630px
>>
>>51545163
Kek. Did he really write it?
>>
>>51545163
What does UPB stand for?
>>
What are the cons of living in virtual reality as an upload vs. living in cramped quarters of some habitat as a biomorph? I get that a dude without a morph doesn't get to run around spess doing all that important techno-thriller shit firewall agents do and some rich fucks consider themselves to be too cool to deal with the denizens of vr, but you can basically get all the creature comforts you want and you don't have to pay an arm and an a leg for what is likely a huge tin can.
>>
>>51547210
Microtransactions
>>
>>51547245
Er, what? Like buying hats and shit in Team Fortress?
>>
File: exhumans.jpg (1MB, 1600x2183px) Image search: [Google]
exhumans.jpg
1MB, 1600x2183px
>>51547210
You still have to pay for server space and someone could just unplug you. You're also probably seceding a certain amount of control over your reality to a third party, so people could fuck with you however you want.
>>
>>51547210

/epg/ actually did some homebrew about people who live entirely in VR, playing in game or recreational worlds.

>>51547245 is one of the downsides. Also, top-shelf PCs are still expensive
>>
>>51547271
>You still have to pay for server space
I get it, but chances are renting enough computer power would be much cheaper than renting a studio apartment, a morph and it's living expenses.

I'm just wondering if there enough reasons for most average "middle class" schmucks not to live online.
>>
>>51547374
People are probably pretty scared of it. Plus, it's literally giving up the rights to your existence in a way that even getting a rented morph doesn't.

It's probably way easier to get ego-napped if you live digitally and people are still worried about TITANs.
>>
>>51547210
Viruses
>>
File: moravec.png (979KB, 562x1545px) Image search: [Google]
moravec.png
979KB, 562x1545px
>>
File: Musso-Reapy.jpg (331KB, 927x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Musso-Reapy.jpg
331KB, 927x1000px
>>51547543

Like Evola.
>>
File: olaf.png (951KB, 1192x722px) Image search: [Google]
olaf.png
951KB, 1192x722px
>>
Neoavians would be immune to pepper spray and banned from all hot pepper eating contests
>>
>>51550814
>Neoavians would be immune to pepper spray and banned from all hot pepper eating contests
Doubt that's ever been true. Hypercorps have incentive to ensure their uplifts are "compatible" with crowd control methods. Alternately, there's be a race to produce uplift chemesthesis. Even xeno-compatible pepper spray would have a market.

Food would follow shortly behind.
>>
>>51550814
That's true for everyone with medichines and/or endocrine control. It's the masked synths who really cheat at hot pepper eating contests.

>>51551003
I doubt pepper spray is relevant for crowd control when CR gas, Neuropath nano viruses (can those be made airborne?) and overload weapons already exist. Overload grenades are basically the premier crowd control devices, as they work on basically everything. For a lot of places in EP, I'd expect gasses to be pretty lame for crowd control, as vac suits are so common, and people would probably wear them to protests to avoid the effects of gasses.
>>
>>51551003
They're fully susceptible to things like tear gas. I doubt it's a problem.
>>51551132
>That's true for everyone with medichines and/or endocrine control.
[citation needed]
>>
>>51551163
>>51551132

I suppose the question there is what is the Pepper Spray agent actually doing. Medichines and Toxin Filters will shut out harmful levels of a toxin, but if it's just caustic I don't think they'd stop it.
>>
>>51551163
Endocrine control lets you control pain response and similar with a lot of granularity, so removing physiological responses to capsaicin should be be pretty easy, as it causes pain through physiological response, rather than actually damaging tissue. (I think, I didn't look harder than wikipedia tbqh)

Medichines I'm less confidant about, but they can clear toxins quite quickly, so I think they could keep the pain at bearable levels by removing capsaicin and the biological signals. It'd hurt, but I think they could keep it within bearable limits.

Toxin Filters should also handle it fine.
>>
>>51551397

Well, mechanically Medichines means you eat the penalty for 1 wound. If I were to sculpt rules for capsaicin or similar deterrents taking penalties as if from a wound is probably a good way to do it, which means Medichines, Pain Tolerance trait etc would let you just shrug it off.
>>
File: MaskedSteelMorph.png (669KB, 850x1871px) Image search: [Google]
MaskedSteelMorph.png
669KB, 850x1871px
>>
>>51552374
Fucking master-race right there. Biocons should stop holding the rest of transhumanity back with their backwards bullshit, and that includes those who worship biomorphs. Discount Jovians the lot of them.
>>
>>51527678
Do you feel stressed when you see a button?
>>
>>51552593
Eh, mechanical morphs are actually kind of outdated. When you can make a biomorph that does the same job just as well, there's no reason to use the morph that doesn't automatically self repair and has greater inherent functionality because it's made of organic nanomachines.
>>
>>51553148

It's not seeing a button, but the context in which you find a button is dangerous.

I think I might feel stressed (though by nature I'm anxious) if say, somebody pointed to a big red button and said "hey, don't hit that, you'll launch all the missiles".
>>
>>51553169
Couldn't you just not push it?
>>
>>51553221

Sure, does that stop an irrational response of "oh jeez that's an important button I need to make sure I don't push it?"

It's a rhetorical question, the answer is no.
>>
>>51553260
I think you have anxiety problems omae. Because I don't think most people would get stressed enough to take a stress test. I mean, they'd be a little more anxious, but no more than when you're doing something like holding a gun for the first time. That is, not any more than most people can handle.
>>
>>51553260
No, but it also tends not to cause PTSD
>>
>>51553279

Already said that, thanks for the reading comprehension.

No stress holding a gun though, that's what proper education and preparation will do for you. That said, easily depending on the situation a button could be a Stress test, looking at those examples I mentioned (straight off the Stressful Situations table) all depends on what else is going on.

A terror without context is hardly a terror at all.
>>
>>51553314

And unless you have a really shit WIL score, 1d10/2 SV probably isn't going to cause PTSD either?

Y'know since that's a Mental Disorder which means you need to take like 3 Traumas to pick up?

Can we stop exaggerating the response to the button? There are Stress calls for perfectly "mundane" stimuli you don't have to see Cthulhu in your telescope to call for Stress tests. And you can pass the test and still be like "that's unsettling". You don't roll stress, pass and say "I'm fine now".
>>
File: SeenSomeTITANshit.jpg (374KB, 605x659px) Image search: [Google]
SeenSomeTITANshit.jpg
374KB, 605x659px
>>
File: SynthMorph.png (703KB, 578x1404px) Image search: [Google]
SynthMorph.png
703KB, 578x1404px
>>
>>51552593
>>51553160
Bodies are like cars these days, right? If you don't like what you got, you can just save up for what you want, right?
>>
>>51555067
Yeah, but slightly more expensive. Your average person is only going to switch bodies two or three times in their lifetime.
>>
>>51555077
I see. Sorry for my ignorance. I just got here from the far distant past of AD 2017.
>>
>>51517603
Its easy to be secure if barely anyone uses you.
>>
>>51525093
Dont you have a chemo appointment to keep Pedro?
>>
>>51556245
Android is a Linux OS.

Maybe you aren't qualified to have an opinion on this.
>>
>>51556459
>Android is a Linux OS.

And?
>>
>>51556602
It's fairly popular
>>
>>51556613
For a brand of mobile phone.
>>
>>51556245
If you're on the internet, you're using Linux. No one runs their servers on Windows.
>>
>>51547056
Not yet but he's getting there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I44H7PofKNE
>>
>>51556921
Yeah. Almost no one uses most (not a) brands of mobile phone. You were right.
>>
I think it's also worth noting that the most secure encryption algorithms are open-source. There are several reasons for this.

It allows security experts to spot problems if they exist.
It allows users to verify the security of the algorithm.
It's generally pretty easy to reverse-engineer compiled code anyway.

I think a more interesting question though is what kind of computing platforms are used. For instance, memristor-based balanced ternary hardware is quite attractive for quite a few reasons, not the least of witch is the ease with which negative numbers are handled. I've had personal run-ins with bugs caused by the way in which negative numbers are handled in binary and it was not fun.
>>
File: anheroisaac.gif (3MB, 300x174px) Image search: [Google]
anheroisaac.gif
3MB, 300x174px
>>51556245
>tfw IT guy
>tfw reading this
>mfw
>>
File: Creeper_and_Shambler.png (150KB, 403x304px) Image search: [Google]
Creeper_and_Shambler.png
150KB, 403x304px
>>51557768
Man that game had some creepy ass death scenes.

I always wanted to make a TITAN creation based off of that necromorph that's just a head with tentacles that rips off your head and takes over your body. Purely a psychological warfare creation from the TITANs. Only problems being that 1) there are no actual EP players and 2) I'm too lazy to actually stat it out.
>>
>>51556245
Linux is the backbone of the Internet, it's ubiquitous, everyone uses it. Even traditionally MS-centric shops like mine will have some percentage of Linux running.
>>
>>51557820
Why would that have any psychological effect on people? You're just messing with the morph, a copy of the ego is in the cortical stack so the person didn't actually die.
>>
>>51557820
I have every intention to use the DS OSTs for my upcoming campaign.
>>
>>51557898
It is fairly horrifying. It's not like a button.
>>
>>51557898
Why do Exsurgent cause stress? It's not like you can actually die if you have a backup. Why would anything spoop you, ever? It's not like anything matters, you are invincible.
>>
>>51557912
Humans are wired to fear. This is why in the absence of actual threats people become afraid of things like vaccines and food produced using conventional farming methods.
>>
>>51557898
>Monster straight out of The Thing flings itself at your comrade
>Has its tentacles violently rip their head from their body
>Shoves its tentacles down the neck stump
>Takes over the still-twitching body and then turns on you

If you don't take any mental stress from that then you're at Joss Whedon levels of flippant and therefore not realistic.

Just because EP's mechanics trivializes how easy it is to switch morphs doesn't mean that people in the game treat morphs as disposable equipment. I mean fuck I never got the comparisons people make when they say "morphs are treated like cars/clothes in this setting". Sure, maybe for PCs. But for the average person? Don't think so
>>
>>51557945
To add on to this I guess the cars comparison can work if your average Joe has to physically travel across the solar system and egocast to another morph so that's like having a work car, I suppose?

I guess I don't think about that too much since in my EP ships are more commonly used than egocasting.
>>
>>51557945
>"morphs are treated like cars/clothes in this setting". Sure, maybe for PCs. But for the average person? Don't think so
Well the average person would probably treat a morph the way a 7th century European peasant would have treated clothing. As a very valuable possession.

That's when facing the prospect in the abstract though. Deep-rooted, evolutionarily ancient fear will kick in when heads start getting violently ripped from living, unwilling people.
>>
>>51558013
>Endocrine Control

Checkmate. Completely immune to fear, if you don't have this augmentation you are literally suboptimal.

I hope he doesn't notice that it only gives you a +30 bonus against fear checks and not total immunity oh god oh jeez
>>
>>51558072
The average person doesn't have endocrine control
>>
What is the equivalent of endocrine control for a synthmorph?
>>
>>51557972
Why?
>>
>>51558239
I could cite a few in-game justifications, and I probably would if you were a player in that game, but here I'll just be a lazy dillweed and say, cause I like spaceships. Literally no other reason. Egocasting is still a thing, just not as used.
>>
>>51557972
The cars comparison is purely for cost, and is essentially based on a rough parity of the credit and dollar.

>>51558152
Emotional dampers, but they aren't as good. Synths don't have access to EC, or probably have normal emotions either.

>>51558322
That's probably the best reason I think. Spaceships are cool and this skips over arguments about how automated everything should be.
>>
>>51518872
Yeah. I hoped to see all the crazy research projects they've been up to. Instead we got scientific ethics and hierarchies 101.
>>
>>51517643
Well, yeah. But those are people who write their own software. Keeping the sources restricted to proven argonaut programmers seems like a prudent idea.
>>
>>51558152
>>51558492

I figure a brainbox synthmorph could use Endocrine Control. It's one of those common-sense things.
>>
File: 1481339563023.png (126KB, 550x385px) Image search: [Google]
1481339563023.png
126KB, 550x385px
>>51528553
>tumblr and /pol/ btfo

It's good to be a centrist academic who faces reality.
>>
>>51559315
Most of the endocrine system isn't in the brain though, it's built into much of the body. It's probably possible to build an endocrine box for a synth morph, or maybe just simulate the whole thing with an advanced cyberbrain. I'm pretty sure that isn't very common though.
>>
File: RAW vs RAI.jpg (116KB, 480x645px) Image search: [Google]
RAW vs RAI.jpg
116KB, 480x645px
>>51559378
Yupiel a cute. CUTE!
>>
>>51559180
>But those are people who write their own software
Not usually
>Keeping the sources restricted to proven argonaut programmers seems like a prudent idea.
Only if it's important to you that someone not be able to use your software. Not releasing source code does almost nothing to improve security, while releasing the code does quite a bit to improve it (if people give a fuck).
>>
File: Fortean.jpg (83KB, 968x358px) Image search: [Google]
Fortean.jpg
83KB, 968x358px
>>51559408
>>
>>51560099
>Not releasing source code does almost nothing to improve security, while releasing the code does quite a bit to improve it (if people give a fuck).
This. Hackers don't need to be able to look at uncompiled code because decompilers can render it readable enough to exploit. But code makes it accessible enough to improve, which can't be done with ease, otherwise.

Open source is safe, because it's the difference between code that's supported by a single company, our code that's supported by the world.
>>
>>51559400
>>51559315

Yeah, without an endocrine system to start with there's no point in it with a Brain Box. Synths don't hunger and don't have a biological need to sleep, and already get the free wound, so the only thing they can't benefit from is the Deception and Fear/Manipulation bonuses. Emotional Dampers is a better bonus for the former, though.
>>
One of my players want to have a basic human biomorph that photosynthesizes, even if it isn't enough for him to survive. Are there any options for that?
>>
>>51561251

RAW no, nothing like that. I don't even know if the Whiplash pod does photo.

Did some digging and found this though
http://ephrep.blogspot.com/2016/09/photosynthetic-skin.html
if you want to look it over and use it. I think there's also a morph that incorporates it.
>>
File: nina.jpg (142KB, 1340x600px) Image search: [Google]
nina.jpg
142KB, 1340x600px
>>51560122
>>
I'm planing on running Continuity and I keep wondering who much does you average "working class" schmuck knows about exurgent virus. Do they know that a basilisk hacks exist?
>>
>>51561789
I'd say yeah. Governments have incentive to keep citizens informed on what to look for, plus the Argonauts produce free exsurgent scanning software.
>>
Could someone well read in the setting help me out here?

I'm trying to figure out how affordable sleeves are for the majority of humans.

Are they affordable in the same way that like, a house is? As in, if you work hard and long enough, you will eventually be able to buy yourself a second sleeve (like in Altered Carbon); or is it like anyone can get a new sleeve almost every year?

Also, do most people eventually get tired of living through their second or third life time and eventually put themselves under willing storage (again like in Altered Carbon) or do humans just live forever without really falling into that crushing depression/apathy crisis?
>>
>>51547271
You realise infomorphs can run on any vehicle? Just get yourself a starship with a fabber and some drones for mining ops, sleece in and you are full autonomous
>>
>>51562014
Depends where you are. On Titan you will get a sleev for free
>>
>>51561251
That sounds like a bioengineering nightmare but if he really wants to have it, that's no problem either. Just get the mod that reduces the need to eat or something and fluff it up as photosynthesis, maybe boost it/make it cheaper to account for the need to waste time sunbathing.
>>
>>51561251
Why the hell does your player want a biomorph that photosynthesizes? Is it his fetish or something?
>>
>>51562647
It more of the way to customize his genefixer character's morph and showing that the character is into coming up with all kinds of interesting if not practical modifications.
>>
>>51561251
Just tell him he can eat 5% less until he needs to resleeve. Humans don't have anywhere near the necessary area for photosynthesis to be worth doing.
>>
>>51562014

The game really doesn't get into the economic afforded barebones of living expenses.

Based on the rough aspects of of the income system, the most you can make is 20,000 a month (which would be some baseline level morphs, assuming you're not paying for any additional features) but that's, y'know, top level freelancers. Average would be like 4,000 a month (or less, Average joes could easily have rep levels lower than 3), 1,000 of which you need to afford a [Moderate] lifestyle each month. So assuming no additional expenses, you could probably save up enough in a year to get a new biomorph - but that isn't accounting for local availability conditions. A Ruster with planned obsolescence is probably fairly common on mars to get for just the 20k, but you want to find a Scurrier pod outside of a gatecrashing community or xenobio lab you're gonna have to pay extra.

That said, since for an average person (15 in aptitudes) resleeving is more likely than not to be an uncomfortable experience for you, people probably don't actively upgrade a lot and instead save money in case of an accident and they need a new body.

Immortality Blues is a thing, but it only really appears in people who have lived a long ass time 100+ years, which still isn't a lot of people, resleeving is only a few decades old, less than half a century. Lots of people still have goals or aspirations to achieve in life and Post-Fall reconstruction and adaptation will probably keep people busy for quite a while.
>>
>>51562785

Thanks, that clears up a lot of things.

What about backup insurances? Does the average person have one too, or is it a bit more expensive? Like, in Altered Carbon basically everyone has a Cortical Stack, but only the people who can really afford the expenses of a secure storage facility have access to back-up insurance policies.
>>
>>51562874

Backup Insurance as a service is [Low] to [Moderate] (so on an average of 250 to 1,000 credits, depending on factors) probably based on how good your plan is. An insurance company who will recover your stack if you die inside a specific hab or city is probably cheap. For the highest price you'll get insurance investigator who will show up wherever your death is reported and try and fish your stack back and get you in a temp body right away.

Making a single, one-time backup of your Ego to store somewhere is also [Moderate], so possible for people to afford monthly, probably - but maybe not something people buy all the time - but inexpensive enough you can fit it in a couple times a year, at least.
>>
>>51561929
>>51561789

They wouldn't call it the exsurgent virus though, they would believe it would be TITAN-manufactured nanoviruses.

And I don't think knowledge of exsurgents themselves are all that common.
>>
>>51562950
I swear I read somewhere that most habs offer stack recovery as a free service for residents anyway. It's a bit like sending an ambulance, not to mention they would like to interrogate the concerned to understand the circumstances of his death. Even if it was an accident there's probably a lawsuit accompanying it.
>>
>>51563090

Yeah, the intersection of basic services isn't really covered here. I assume if you have a local law enforcement they probably will recover a stack to talk to an individual who died as part of a routine inquiry - and then maybe insurance gets your stack from the cops.

More expensive insurance probably handles stuff like "if you died in Noctis but live in VNS, we'll get a courier to ship you back here to resleeve", the cheap stuff just pulls you out of the evidence locker and takes you to the nearest partnered body bank. Medical sensors are part of the mesh insert package, so reports are easy to do anywhere with decent infrastructure.
>>
Can nanofabrictors print living tissues at all? If I'm a competent dude on a far away station with access to a fabricator and all necessary data, is it possible for be to grow a new pod or at least a pet rat? There nothing about exowombs in the corebook.
>>
>>51563311

Nope.
>>
>>51561789
They know some, but basilisk hacks aren't super well known. They're rumored to exist but haven't been officially recognized.

>>51562014
They're cheaper than buying cars in EP, until you get something nice. That said, cars are a fairly luxurious item in many places thanks to space restrictions, so they're likely cheaper to own long term. It's definitely the kind of thing where someone middle-class might own two morphs (a vacation splicer on Venus perhaps) and would have the means to rent a morph where they traveled. It's definitely more accessible than altered carbon, at least once you get above the near-destitute clanking masses.
>>
>>51563311
I've just read the entry on the healing vats. You can put a severed head into those things and they'll grow a whole body for it. They can make modifications like adding limbs and what not. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering you can hack them to do grow all kinds of hilarious shit.
>>
>>51563535
>It's definitely more accessible than altered carbon, at least once you get above the near-destitute clanking masses.

I see. It's an interesting take on it; it's certainly more of a gonzo-ish approach to Resleeving and Storage, but I can see how it would work well for a gaming setting.
>>
>>51563835
One of the biggest plot holes in the setting is that a healing vat can regrow a body from a severed head in less than a day, but growing a biomorph from scratch takes many months. Either brains take a very, very, long time to make properly, or it should just be changed.

I kind of like the idea of making morphs the kind of thing which can be made pretty quickly, and increasing the number of egos in the setting. Keeps the same morph scarcity but helps close that bit of weirdness.

>>51563884
It's pretty gonzo, but in a good way IMO. I personally like just how many sci-fi/transhumanist threads EP sticks together. It makes a very gonzo setting, sort of like star trek but all the tech of the week is always around.

I like it, future-shock-y settings feel realer somehow for me.
>>
>>51562014
A no-frills body costs about 5,000 credits, while a nicer sleeve runs upward of 20,000

In game mechanical terms, how many days, weeks or months of wages that is depends on your reputation, based on the job system detailed in Transhuman
>>
>>51563535

I don't know about it being more accessible than Altered Carbon. Resleeving and body swapping is much more rare in Altered Carbon, and most people don't even have a backup, i.e. if you destroy their cortical stack that's usually Real Death for them. Immortality isn't a given in that setting.
>>
>The Tenth Planet (1973), a novel set upon the rocky planet Minerva, beyond the orbit of Pluto. Minervans, human colonists who escaped ecological disaster on Earth and Mars, live in underground cities; above ground, the planet is so cold as to have lakes of liquid helium.
>>
>>51564762
I think what you wrote makes morphs more accessible than in altered carbon anon
>>
File: Guard 1.jpg (1MB, 1280x1542px) Image search: [Google]
Guard 1.jpg
1MB, 1280x1542px
>>
>>51563077
>They wouldn't call it the exsurgent virus though, they would believe it would be TITAN-manufactured nanoviruses.
Nanoviruses aren't software, and the TITAN varieties aren't very subtle. They either turn you into bloody drapes, or some freakish biomech horror.

Hell, even the exsurgent ones aren't that subtle. The xenomorph strain is a nanovirus.
>>
>>51564778
Literally nothing in EP is original. The devs are just the only ones autistic enough to put it all in one setting and think that anarcho-socialism is a good way to run a society.
>>
>>51566477

Why do people get so butthurt about EP's anarcho-socialist factions? They're not even the prominent societal system in the setting.
>>
>>51566572
We find the notion hilarious. I don't get how you think that the dev's pet faction aren't that prominent, though.
>>
>>51566572
Most (sci-fi) RPG settings jerk off cold war style capitalism or pseudo-feudalism or whatever kind of economics fantasy settings use so anything else is seen as weird.

Plus 4chan is super contrarian about everything.
>>
File: Xj9RRKJ.png (59KB, 816x1662px) Image search: [Google]
Xj9RRKJ.png
59KB, 816x1662px
>>51566639

Math
>>
>>51566661
It's more about the prominence in the writing.
>>
>>51566655
>Most (sci-fi) RPG settings jerk off cold war style capitalism or pseudo-feudalism or whatever kind of economics fantasy settings use so anything else is seen as weird.
Wrong.
>>
>>51566789
>>51566655

Both of you could benefit from some supporting evidence.
>>
File: Scum Gunz.jpg (84KB, 900x695px) Image search: [Google]
Scum Gunz.jpg
84KB, 900x695px
>>
File: TheseusMorphA.png (1MB, 850x2206px) Image search: [Google]
TheseusMorphA.png
1MB, 850x2206px
>>
What's the name of that noblebright version of EP? No psychic analogues, but technomancers instead?
>>
File: Reclaimers.jpg (218KB, 758x1103px) Image search: [Google]
Reclaimers.jpg
218KB, 758x1103px
>>
>>51569375
Nova Praxis? Can you be any more specific?
>>
>>51570085
Nova Praxis was it. Cheers. Shame the 'infected' section in the FATE book never got any traction.
>>
>>51571248
Wot?
>>
>>51566655
I think most science fiction RPGs tend to present a single political system as being the dominant one, presented as either good or bad, and that you belong to it or work against it. They don't tend to get particularly political as there aren't many political viewpoints presented, and as it often boils down to "us good, them so overwhelmingly bad that any disagreements we have must be put aside for the sake of our own survival", there's rarely much space for politics to crop up in a game.

I think one of the interesting things about Eclipse Phase is that it presents all these political systems rubbing shoulders with one another and getting uncomfortable about it. It's an interesting thing to discuss, but some people (buoyed by the general trend of science-fiction games to have an "us vs them is the same as right vs wrong politically") see the inclusion of political ideologies other than the one they identify with (or dislike the least) as something wrong with the game. Rather than appreciating a game that at least tries to present a diversity of thought in terms of politics, they get upset that their ideology isn't presented as the one that's won.
>>
So uh. Where would one go to actually find games?
>inb4 EP is not actually a game that's meant to be played, it's mainly just an excuse to shitpost about the universe

I found one game, and as soon as i cleared my schedule, right after the first session the group disbanded due to scheduling conflicts.
>>
>>51564778
>>51566477
Literally no sci-fi setting is original. All ideas are either inspired by older works or scientifically deducted.
>>
>>51573872
I've been shitposting in these generals for years and I've never played a single session.
>>
>>51566477
You probably think Altered Carbon conceived of the cortical stack
>>
>>51566639
There are actual human societies with no formalized laws or hierarchy and little concept of property.
>>
>>51574119
Maybe not, but they didn't even change the name. I'm curious as to where the concept originated, though.

>>51574134
Civilized society.
>>
>>51573910
That is.... sad.
Damn.

The game i got into seemed really fun.
Like holy shit this is awesome.
>>
>>51574175
>Civilized society
You only need hierarchical organization for a civilized society because it takes so many people to suuport industry. In EP all you need is a guy with a CM.
>>
>>51574226
Nice job deflecting from the fact that there are no human civilized societies with no formalized laws or hierarchy and little concept of property.
>>
>>51574254
Nice job missing the point that the technological and economic features of EP make it completely unlike any historical settings.
>>
>>51574226
A guy with CM will be a really slow "civilised society".

Just to start you'll need: resources to create reactors, radiators, living space, protective shells for habitat and so on. Pretty fast you will run out of resources on your asteroid and will need to go and tug new rocks. So you will need spaceships. Spaceships need a lot of fuel to operate and are pretty big. And so on and so on.

It's not unfeasible but you'll take a lot of time to start up your society.
>>
>>51574254
Yes there are. They're very small but they exist.
>>
>>51574315
>Pretty fast you will run out of resources on your asteroid and will need to go and tug new rocks
To make a tin can that supports one guy? Unlikely.
>>
>>51574315
>protective shells for habitat
Just build it into the asteroid, friend.
>>
>>51571401

Except Eclipse Phase has the same us vs them mentality on the part of the author, where the moneyless anarchists are the good guy Us, and everyone else is evil, greedy, backwards, stupid, evil or evil.

I mean, the extropians are one of the less evil factions and even theyre people who all smoke like chimneys because purposefully degrading their morph and stressing their environment scrubbers is how they show wealth off to one another. That's not subtle writing.

And the Hypercorps. Good god. Every time they are brought up in the book someone mentions that they are this archaic leftover of the past that any moment now is doomed to inevitable collapse due to their shortsighted ways!

Meanwhile the obvious issues that a rep economy would cause (basically its like if tumblr was also your bank, better never say anything controversial ever again!) and even the basic mechanisms behind how it keeps afloat are not touched on. (Even though that would make playing them actually interesting. People are petty, vindictive and prejudice. A society of that is an interesting play space).

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of Eclipse Phase being grey on grey. I like the idea of all the political factions having their own reasonable viewpoints and their downsides. That's human. Interesting.

One of the factions who i think IS written well like this is the Ultimates. Ruthless killers, and some of them are legitimate war criminals or genocidal loonies. But their basic mission statement is ball-crunchingly sane - humanity has to survive, we have to be the best we can to survive, fuck off we need to survive. Fascism is a reasonable alternative to mass destruction of humanity.

I think overall EP has a great deal of *potential* to be legitimately interesting as politics mix together. But its in desperate need of someone to walk in and slap the writer around until he understands that people don't want to play a game where you wank over your Mary Sue Topia.
>>
>>51575813
>One of the factions who i think IS written well like this is the Ultimates. Ruthless killers, and some of them are legitimate war criminals or genocidal loonies. But their basic mission statement is ball-crunchingly sane - humanity has to survive, we have to be the best we can to survive, fuck off we need to survive. Fascism is a reasonable alternative to mass destruction of humanity.
If you thought Ultimates were well-written then I guess the Exhumans will blow your mind.
>>
>>51575813
The convenient thing about EP (except for game mechanics) is that almost everything is written in a subjective style.

If some shitty anarchist talking about how hypercapitalism is an X-risk triggers you, you can protect your sensitive Wall Street emotions and not take it too seriously.

The hypercorps did a lot of awesome shit during the Fall, like build literal attack adware servers that DDoS'ed the TITAN shadow economy and literally retarded their exponential growth. They're so good at spamming anybody who's a threat that even tremendously good hackers in the modern era can only shut off their ads for about ten minutes- or forgo AR and many forms of useful mesh computing.
>>
>>51574472
One guy is not a society.

>>51574499
If you want enough space you'll need to cut a lot of parts of asteroid which will compromise it's integrity. Adding heat sources inside won't help too. So you'll need either to remake it into a shell or just reinforce the exterior walls. Still a lot of work.
>>
>>51576625
Problem is as a DM you need to cut through all this "subjective" shit and try to make it into a coherent background for your game. It's possible but takes work.

And you need also to balance your background against expectations of your players which base their views on all this subjective crap which is written in the books.
>>
>>51576460
>Exhumans will blow your mind.
Not the guy you were originally responding to, but I really fucking like the philosophy of the Parasite clade, and I want to run a campaign based around Cuckoo-1.
>>
>>51576976
Meh, Exhumans are just Space Tzimisce. Been there, done that in the 20th and 13th centuries already.
>>
>>51576625
>almost everything is written in a subjective style

Unfortunately, even the purportedly "objective" Game Information sections of the book also suffer from this subjective style (e.g., Jovian space Nazis).

It's sloppy and tiresome. If the authors cut back the blunt and overwhelming politico manifestos even a little bit, the suspension of disbelief necessary for the setting would diminish substantially, and a good setting would become great.
>>
File: KillerSpambot.png (1MB, 595x1133px) Image search: [Google]
KillerSpambot.png
1MB, 595x1133px
>>51576625
>>
>>5157662

>If some shitty anarchist talking about how hypercapitalism is an X-risk triggers you

Oh god, so fucking much this does trigger me.

> Hi there, welcome to Firewall. Here we have dedicated ourselves to the noble goal of ensuring transhumanity lives another day. We must sacrifice much, even our own morality at times for the greater good: the continued existence of our species in the face of X-Risks. Anyone have any opening statements?

I'll go. Look guys. Genocidal alien super-intelligences, hostile AI remants and reality warping super-viruses are dangerous and all. But do you know what's worse than all that?

The Man.

> A totally valid viewpoint. I won't insult the intelligence of everyone here by even pretending to contest that extremely self-evident totally unbiased fact.

Fuck. Me.

I'm not exactly Ayn Rand over here. I'm basically a socialist, and a socialist from one of those countries where the left actually has legitimate power and is actually left-wing. But perspective much?!

It's shit like that that makes Eclipse Phase a passable setting rather than a good one. I have serious immersion problems when i realise that everyone in a setting is almost certainly a vacuous cunt.
>>
Oh. Done fucked up. This >>51578475 was meant as a reply to >>51576625
>>
>>51578475
How is that different from complaining about capitalism and racism and sexism in a world where terrorism and engineered plagues and nukes exist?
>>
>>51578475
>I won't insult the intelligence of everyone here by even pretending to contest that extremely self-evident totally unbiased fact.

The fact that appears in a sidebar as a piece of fluff?
>>
>>51578556
Well I for one intend to fight racism and sexism wherever it shows up, so that nobody nukes Morocco or releases a plague that turns women into horned shortstacks who need dick.
>>
>>51578568

The same sort of sidebars which present like five different stories and theories for what Project OZMA is?
>>
>>51578763
>or releases a plague that turns women into horned shortstacks who need dick

You are an enemy of transhumanity.
>>
>>51578556

Firewall is an organization that would slaughter a million innocent lives in cold blood if it means saving the rest. Its a group that prioritises the continued existence of the species through any means necessary.

Its a teensy bit incongruous for it to give liberal arts students a platform to talk about social justice in the same meeting room where people are trying and failing to come up with countermeasures to prevent the extinction of the species.
>>
>>51517445

Kudos anon. May the next morph broker be kind with thou
>>
>>51518916

The revenge of chin chin strikes back
>>
File: story_mars_5.jpg (198KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
story_mars_5.jpg
198KB, 1200x480px
>>
>>51523081
If you don't see the beauty in all the mechanical content being indexed and wrapped up in Posthuman there's no hope for you.
>>
File: liberty vs tyranny.png (892KB, 1280x1163px) Image search: [Google]
liberty vs tyranny.png
892KB, 1280x1163px
>>51543629
I love those
>>
I'm pretty sure I know what next thread will be, but feel free to make suggestions anyway.
>>
>>51531067
Didn't this guy get murked in a episode of Banshee?
>>
>>51577138
>Comparing a state that puts uplifts in concentration camps to Nazi Germany is unobjective
wew
>>
So is all on info on the organic TITAN fork in the FATE book? I found the idea pretty cool.
>>
New Thread:
>>51584111
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.