[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mtg/ modern general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 43

File: FulminatorMage.jpg (61KB, 223x312px) Image search: [Google]
FulminatorMage.jpg
61KB, 223x312px
Hello all, in this general I think we should all decide on what should be in a general. Things like meta game, links to advice for people new to modern, general questions to start discussion, and maybe a general FAQ or something. I think it would be cool if we could agree on a format for the general. Personally I don't speak for everyone, nor have I been in the modern thread in like a year, so I think we should get a general popular decision. But for now

What decks are you playing, and what cards are you testing out in them?

Will Abzan Company see a resurgence now that GY hate is down?

Will Dredge fade into obscurity and only pop up if they get a hot no hate streak?

Do you hope that Modern will take a different direction rather than the huge midrange/aggro direction it is taking now?
>>
>>51480154
>will probably jump over to GB soon
Fucking why? Black has literally no sideboard options and Fatal Push is pretty unnecessary when your turn 3 play is Karn and turn 4 is Planar Cleansing. Brutality is cute but Pyroclasm has higher EV vs the whole field and Sudden Shock makes Infect winnable.
>>
File: IMG_5717.jpg (166KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5717.jpg
166KB, 640x640px
I'm liking the format so far. Probably something like:
MTG Modern General
8th/Mirrodin to Current Set
Tier 1- Common decks
>Affinity, Burn, Jund, Infect, Tron, Bant Eldrazi, Dredge
Tier 2- Uncommon Decks
>Junk, Grixis Control, RG Titanshift, Merfolk, Ad Nauseam, RW Prison,
Lantern Control, Grixis Delver, Breach, Eldrazi Tron, Jeskai Harbinger

Links:
Whatever whatever

Questionnaire of 3-4
>>
>>51482570
What links? And where do I pull the tier list off? mtg salvation?
>>
>>51482466
I'd say the absolute only reason to play black is because it actually has game against combo, not much, but it's there.
>>
Take the old competitive general, make it a little less obnoxious and add different questions to it each thread.
>>
File: IMG_5738.jpg (148KB, 980x1204px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5738.jpg
148KB, 980x1204px
>What decks are you playing, and what cards are you testing out in them?
Affinity, Monowhite Taxes, Burn, and Tron which needs updating.
Need to get RestoAngels for Taxes, but for now I'm just using Vryn Wingmare. Been pretty fun so far.

>Will Abzan Company see a resurgence now that GY hate is down?
Dunno. I packed grave-hate before Dredge, and I'll be packing for the foreseeable future.
>Will Dredge fade into obscurity and only pop up if they get a hot no hate streak?
I imagine it'll be like Affinity- good deck, but once make many top spots unless people go light on their hate for whatever reason.
>Do you hope that Modern will take a different direction rather than the huge midrange/aggro direction it is taking now?
I thought Lantern and Grixis were fairly new things. Aren't they control decks doing pretty well right now?

I'm hoping they just ban the storm wincons so we can get cantrips and rituals back.
>>
>>51482706
I can't even imagine the immense anal ravaging storm players would have if grapeshot got hit.
>>
>>51482631
Hell if I know. Hopefully some kind soul will come forward with some good links.

I just stole the decks from Salvation, yeah.
>>
>>51482727
I don't think the two guys still forcing storm will complain too much. The deck is on its last legs as it is. Expect it to be neutered completely if Cheeri0s becomes big/consistent.
>>
How about this?

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Previous Thread
/tg/thread/50483947#p50483947

Edition
Questions

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
How many sources of each color do you need?
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Common Modern - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
Jund
Bant Eldrazi
Infect
Affinity
Dredge
Burn
Gx Tron

Uncommon Modern - Decks You Should Know About
Junk
Merfolk
Jeskai Nahiri
Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dek)
Suicide Bloo (KilnFiend.dek)
GR Breach Titan
GR Scapeshift
Eldrazi & Taxes
Grixis Delver
Grixis Control
Ad Nauseam
Abzan Company

Rare Modern - Decks You May See On Occasion
Blue Moon
Lantern Control
Jeskai Control
Death & Taxes
Jeskai Midrange
RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
RW Prison (Sun&Moon)
RG Ponza
Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)
8-Rack (Also Bushwhacker Zoo)
Bant Spirits
Elves
WB Tokens
Mardu Nahiri
Esper Control
RUG Delver
Soul Sisters
Bogles (GW Enchantments/Hexproof)
Grishoalbrand
Living End
Knightfall
Goblins/8-Whack
Kiki Chord
Pryomancer's Ascension
Faeries
Duskmantle Mindcrank Mill / other UB Mill

Mythic Modern - Decks You'll See Once a Year
Esper Teachings
Grixis Cruel Control
Timewalks
Ux Tron
Martyr-Proc
Amulet Titan
Allies
5C Humans
Mono G Stompy
Bx Infect
Green's Sun's Zenith
Jeskai Ascendancy
Angel Moon
Ritual Gifts
Someone playing last year's standard deck

I like listing some of the decks but I feel it needs to be slightly different from the legacy general in some way, but I'm not sure how.
>>
File: 1480815620199.jpg (120KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1480815620199.jpg
120KB, 500x500px
Naya Burn. Not testing anything because it's already perfect

Nah, it's still too inconsistent.

>Will Dredge fade into obscurity and only pop up if they get a hot no hate streak?
Pretty much yeah

>Do you hope that Modern will take a different direction rather than the huge midrange/aggro direction it is taking now?
Hell no, it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>51482774
Drop the cash signs, and no need to drive home it's a competitive format. That should be implied since there's occasionally a Standard/Commander/Casual thread hanging about. Just lose that whole first paragraph really.

I wouldn't bother listing the rare and mythic decks- just clutters up the post.

Thread questionnaire and lack of trips should keep it different enough from the Legacy thread to not matter.
>>
File: 8a4.jpg (14KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
8a4.jpg
14KB, 600x384px
>>51482756
I really can't see cheerios getting too big desu. In essence it's just an infect deck except it runs less creatures but is slightly more explosive. Also
>mfw that fucking autistic retract buyout
Stop it you fucking filthy kikes, god damn it.
>>
>>51482774
good 1 m8
>>
File: IMG_5783.jpg (42KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5783.jpg
42KB, 223x310px
>>51482828
Creatures 9-12 right here.
>>
>>51482774
The generals were terrible when this was the OP. Like, just awful.

Drop the deck lists and the $ and we can start to have a decent OP.

I,wish we could include modernnexus in our links, but it's been shit for the past year. Little to no meta updates, too many shitbrew articles, etc.
>>
>>51482785
Still too inconsistent? It was a top deck like not even a year ago, competing with Eldrazi.
>>
>>51482902
>4 mana dies to bolt do nothing ETB or LTB creature
>Winning games
If it was 3 mana and had flash, then we could talk
>>
>>51482820
I meant to drop the first part actually, my bad. I think that some of the rare decks should be listed but a good portion need to be cut to avoid clutter.

Edition
Questions

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Common Modern - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
Jund
Bant Eldrazi
Abzan
Naya Burn
Gx Tron
Affinity

Uncommon Modern - Decks You Should Know About
Junk
Merfolk
Jeskai Nahiri
Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dek now suicide jund
GR Breach Titan
GR Scapeshift
Eldrazi & Taxes
Grixis Delver
Grixis Control
Ad Nauseam
Abzan Company

Rare Modern - Decks You May See On Occasion
Lantern Control
Jeskai Control
Death & Taxes
RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
RW Prison (Sun&Moon)
Skred
8-Rack (Therack.dec)
Elves
Esper Control
RUG Delver
Soul Sisters
Bogles (GW Enchantments/Hexproof)
Grishoalbrand
Living End
Knightfall
Goblins/8-Whack
Kiki Chord

Anybody have suggestions for more resources?
>>
>>51482997
>Readings
>How many sources of each color do you need
What?
>>
>>51482934
Inconsistent isn't the right word then. It's too stoppable.
>>
>>51482997
Condense the decks into a pastebin or something.
>>
>>51482774
This is so obnoxious.
You don't need this huge list of decks. All that comes from it are autists screaming for their meme swan control deck to be on the list
>>
>>51482997
The list of decks is too clunky. The metagame links should cover that information. If you really want a list of decks, then just list tier 1 and 2.
>>
>>51483061
which is why there are only established archetypes listed.

Could replace the mythic section with a meme category to mock shitbrews or something.
>>
>>51483042
I mean, yeah it's stoppable, but it is hugely redundant, and can easily just stumble into a win anytime they cast coco. It's strength isn't it's combos resilience, it's the fact that the combo is always a card draw away and it is the only combo deck with a very reliable beatdown plan. Also when teched right it has play against almost every deck.
>>
>>51483099
I think I'd have only the confirmed tier 1 decks, like those are the decks you will see at a tourney, those are the decks that are putting up the results right now. Those decks and nothing else.
>>
[insert edition]

4-5 relevant questions

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS

[insert other helpful articles for deckbuilding, metagaming, etc.]

Anybody have any ideas for a FAQ or is that just unnecessary? Any other suggestions?
I hope I'm not the only one sick of these last few OP's we've gotten.
>>
>>51483231
I don't like the readings desu, if you don't know how to make a mana base this thread isn't for you. Like yeah, I don't want to discourage new players or anything, but come the fuck on its building a mana base.
>>
>>51483231
I might cut down the questions to 2 or so. Questionnaires don't exactly facilitate discussion, but 2 or 3 questions should be fine.

But otherwise, it looks good. At least it's a start and can be changed.

>>51483288
To be fair, it's something a lot of magic players struggle with, and seeing as how most of us aren't exactly top level players (I haven't been to anything past fun in the last year) I think it deserves a slot.
>>
>>51483336
I really just can't find it necessary. There really isn't a mana base in modern that is going to cost less than 200 dollars.I think after making that investment, if you haven't learned how to make a functioning mana base, then you have no business playing modern. Or you can play Skred
>>
>>51483288
I just copied that article from the OP I got that from, but I think maybe including some beginners resources for people new to modern in a separate pastebin or something wouldn't be a bad idea.
>>
>>51483411
wow fuck off senpai desu ne
>>
>>51483566
Skred player or just unable to build a mana base?
>>
>>51482412
B/w Rats, testing out fatal push in place of dismember
4 color Suicide Zoo, still looking for git probe replacements
Yes, but decks that beat abzan coco will also rise too
Dredge will be like affinity now based on the sideboard, but instead of artifact hate it will be about graveyard hate.
I think U/x decks need some cards printed for modern play
>>
File: VoiceOfR.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
VoiceOfR.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
I heard some people outside of /tg/ hyping this guy inside Junk decks. Think it has merit?
>>
>>51483939
Wilt-leaf Abzan plays it. It's good against Jund and other midrange and blue-based control decks but in a metagame full of fast aggro and tron it kind of blows.
>>
>>51483939
What? No way, Voice is shit. Does nothing on it's own, does nothing when it hits the board and is just a bear in SOOOOO many matchups.
>>
>>51483939
The card is only ever really good when blue decks are a thing. When Twin died, Voice became meh, also it was much better with pod.
>>
>>51483978
I wouldn't consider it shit desu. It's a good card. But anyone who bought it for 40 dollars was dumb.
>>
>>51484004
Obviously I was being sarcastic, Voice is a great card, but it's just not the right meta for it. Unless for some reason reactive control decks take over, but that's not happening any time soon. (Unless it was up to me. I've been trying to make BUG control work, but for some reason it's just not happening)
>>
>>51484085
It's because control in Modern is bad, and to play a "control" deck in modern and intentionally leave out red or white in favor of green makes literally no sense at all.
>>
>>51483939
voice is a thing only in the kiki(or wathever you want) evolution decks
>>
File: ccXSLsj1.jpg (7KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
ccXSLsj1.jpg
7KB, 240x240px
>Go on Ebay for glimmervoids
>See some, 23 dollars a piece or best offer
>Send him an offer for 16 a piece for 4.
>Come back in about half an hour to see 2 notifications
>1 is he counter offered at 17.50
>The other is they all sold for full price
Do retards not understand how this shit works?
>>
File: Bestart.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Bestart.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>non stronghold ensnaring bridges
>theros thoughseize
>khans fetches
>new bolt
>new bob
>new goyf
>new blood moon
Why do these plebs even bother baka desu senpai
>>
What's your favorite Tier >3 deck?
>>
>>51484686
Infect :)
>>
>>51484634
Theros thoughtsieze is great. I don't like faerie ear.
New bolt is fine

Agree with the rest
>>
>>51484634
Hey man, I take what I can get at my lgs. As long as I can get a matching playset, I don't really care about art.

Although, I might go ahead and splurge for full art lightning bolts. That's a sexy card right there.
>>
>>51484634
I personally like new clique
>>
>>51484634
Masterpiece ensnaring bridges :^)
>>
File: image.png (115KB, 200x279px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
115KB, 200x279px
How many Hurkyls does Cheerios run? I'm assuming like 2, as 4 Retract and a couple of Noxious should be sufficient, just wondering if anyone runs a playset.

For anyone running Hurkyls, thoughts on DWave? Optimally I'd run 2 Hurkyls and no Wave, but Wave acts as a mainboardable answer to Chalice on 0, and other than UU manacost it functions identically to Hurkyls when comboing.
(the UU cost seems fairly irrelevant in Simian-less builds)

Thoughts from any Cheerios duders?
>>
File: 1483834972195.jpg (143KB, 619x350px) Image search: [Google]
1483834972195.jpg
143KB, 619x350px
>>51485150
>non stronghold
Still pleb desu unless the entire deck is foiled and you use masterpieces for other masterpiece cards, then it's acceptable
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 223x310px
>>51485159
For reference, here's a list I would run

15 Lands
1 Simian Spirit Guide (honourary 16th land and lotus petal ape extrodinaire)
4 Puresteel
4 Sram

4 Accorder's Shield
4 Cathar's Shield
4 Kite Shield
4 Paradise Mantle
1 Sigil of Distinction
4 Spidersilk Net
4 Mox Opal

1 Grapeshot
2 Noxious Revival
4 Retract
2 Hurkyl's Recall

spice:
1 Displacement Wave
1 Sigarda's Aid

Thoughts??
>>
My meta consists of tokens.dec and every single deck that can possibly run pyromancer and lingering souls with guest star, Martyr Life.

What deck can I run that doesnt get steamrolled by a bazillion tokens being buffed to hell and back?
>>
>>51486169
Ratchet bomb
Engineered Explosives
>>
>>51486169
any deck that runs ensnaring bridge main
>>
>>51486433
So 8rack or lantern control?

I'm trying to play magic, not bore my opponents to death
>>
How long has xmage been offline for? This is getting ridiculous
>>
Am being a nub, playing two trashy super budget decks I threw together to be on the same level as two of my friends' decks (Kangee, Kami of Crescent Moon) that need reworking to not suck quite so hard; rebuilding my long lost labor of love, Uril (1st General I ran), as a more aura-heavy deck.

My other main project atm is thinking of ways to improve Breed Lethality to be competitive with my Nekusar and Ezuri, Claw decks.
>>
>>51486680
Poor bait
>>
>>51482412
>do you hope that Modern will
i want combo to have a meta share so tempo delver can be good

>>51486169
literally any big mana / ramp deck beats tokens. just play pyroclasm main
i think any of the chord decks with an infinite combo would be fine too. chord for pontiff is pretty nice play against tokens and you should be able to assemble a combo that beats martyr's huge life total

>>51484867
ew

>>51484634
do you make a concession for new blood moon in decks also running magus?
>>
>>51486169
Like pretty much every deck from tiers 1-3.
>>
>>51487024
The fact you're running magus is kinda gross
>>
>>51485159
I'm running none, as are most lists I've seen. With retract you can go off turn 2 by drawing an opal and a retract off your equipment, or turn 3 with no opal. Hurkyl's is nearly always a dead card when going off turn 2, and not great turn 3 either. I'd run either swan song or serum visions s over it.
>>
>>51486169
Ad nauseam or tron

t. Token player
>>
File: uncle leo.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
uncle leo.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51482412
i play uw jerks exclusively and am currently running a non-zero amount of copters in my maindeck. they're good.

combo company was a decent beatdown deck without going full-on combo. there's just more powerful things going on right now.

modern does not work that way. dredge will go and stay go.

i don't care. i'll adapt if and when it happens.
>>
>>51483939
>>51483978
>>51483983
If Grixis (either control/delver) becomes a top dog in Modern, I would seriously start looking at this card if you play any GW fair deck.

Ps. Voice is my spirit animal.
>>
>>51486769

looks more like wrong thread

EDH is here >>51471057
>>
>>51487796
Sounds good. What should I play if kithkin tribal becomes T1? What about if BR enchantress is the deck to beat?
>>
>>51486169
literally any tiered deck
>>
File: 1404581537167.jpg (14KB, 405x447px) Image search: [Google]
1404581537167.jpg
14KB, 405x447px
>>51488319
Legacy. Obviously.
>>
>>51482706
dont forget to ban adnauseum.dec

autists who think combo.decs are fun to play against without free counterspells, especially when ad nauseum is basically allowed to play a free counterspell with no downside, need to find a bridge and just jump

>inb4 salt
well no shit fuck these decks
>>
>>51484271
I don't understand what the issue here is.
>>
>>51488921
>what is haggling
>>
>>51488951
it's written like you are upset at the seller not the other buyers.
>>
>>51483336
I think the sweet spot for questionaires is 3 based on threads others and I have made.
>>
>>51482570
>Tier- common, uncommon.
Hola back to your legacy shit homebrew thread
>>
>>51482997
Fucking legacyfags ruining the thread. If you want decklist just post mtgtop8 meta, not your opinion on what's the meta
>>
>>51489321
That's what MTGS has for tiers.

Oh Great Modern Sage, forgive us for not using your own personal favorite Tier rankings!
>>
>>51489375
Tier 2 doesn't mean fucking uncommon.
>>
File: descarga.jpg (7KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
7KB, 209x241px
>>51489375
>MTGS
Fucking plebians
>>
>>51489411
After the first success
>You have fun wrong
And the best seller
>Stop liking what I don't like
It's time for the last on-trend complaint
>Stop using websites I don't use
>>
>>51482997
>>51482774
Oh look the mythic tier head canon faggot is back. You ruined a week of generals. Just pure shitposting. There are actual tier lists online

>>51489471
MTGS is even worse then reddit though some of the deck primers a pretty damn good
>>
>>51489375
Giving a fuck about tiers is half of what's turned Modern into such an awful format. Adherance to tiers combined with a high price of cards creates a very incestuous metagame.
>>
>>51490023
Tiers have little to no effect on what someone will play. They just give people an idea of what is played.
>>
>>51490023
>Giving a fuck about tiers is half of what's turned Modern into such an awful format.
It's not like somebody just randomly decided which decks are tiered and which ones aren't. Tiers are backed up by a huge amount of data, not giving a fuck about tiers would be deluding yourself.
>>
>>51490299
>Tiers have little to no effect on what someone will play.
People that don't understand that Tiers are usage-based will generally try to play a higher tier deck
>>
>>51490023
I agree that people taking the tier system as gospel as to what decks are the best are fucking retards

I've played my janky UW Gifts Tron and have beaten and been beaten against most of the tier 1 and 2 decks

however the tiers are useful for judging the general metagame at competitive events

also most of the tier one decks can be picked up and played by anyone and they can get easy wins

I go as far to say the only reason I have done well with my deck is because I go so far as to fetishize the deck
>>
>>51490388
I don't think UW Gifts is that janky, removal into mana rock into wrath into gifts into cheating a game-winning Iona into play is just as degenerate as turn 3 Karn turn 4 Ulamog, you don't have to worry about LD that much either.
>>
>>51488319
>BR enchantress

What is this?
>>
Why don't you fags just do this for your list of decks in the OP:

Real Decks -----------
Jund
UR Tron
Mono white infect
BR Enchantress
12Rack
Cum and Poon
Fucking Whatever

Like that. Tier 1 and 2 as one list. You can even organize it so the more popular/effective list's are nearer to the top.
>>
>>51476707
>Mox opal is fucking disgusting and has no reason to exist, affinity can work without it.

This is ridiculously wrong. Affinity is tier 10, utter garbage, without opal, dude.

>And I want simian out for the same reason as probe. Fuck that card.
>Just kill the bridge,

Go back to Frontier
>>
>>51491325
>Affinity has never won a game when it doesn't draw opal
Makes me think desu
>>
>>51491085
sleeper tier 1 deck
>>
>>51491242
>UR Tron
Now that's an idea!
>>
>>51491606
Not that guy, but it really struggles without the mox.

t. affinity player
>>
>>51491606
Not what he said. Fuck off
>>
>>51491606
There's a difference between
>affinity is bad without opal
and
>affinity has never won a game without opal

Opal is fine kys desu
>>
>>51491897
I used to play a UR gifts tron deck back when twin was still around. A friend borrowed it and took 2nd in reasonaby sized gpt. It was fun. I wouldn't play it now. Blue tron had a good twin matchup, so you could afford to splash red to beat aggro. Now blue tron has lots of prevalent bad matchups and a red splash doesn't help enough.
>>
>>51491242
OR

Now listen

OR

Are you paying attention?

We could just NOT list any deck in the OP.
Because, now get this, we already know of/about most decks. Or you can click on the handy- dandy links to mtgtop8 or mtggoldfish and SEE decks.

Now isn't that nice?
>>
>>51492458
If you already know about things, why he a modern thread? Obviously you don't need it.
>>
>>51491325
STOP ASKING FOR SHIT TO BE BANNED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

FUCKING CANCER ELDRAZI KIDS.
There should be no banned cards in modern.
>>
>>51492594
>Welcome to Jace the Money Sculptor Modern
>>
>>51492594
Skullclamp/artifact lands are just a little bit busted anon.
>>
>>51492606
>oh no jace will be in the meta oh how will we ever cope.
>oh no it will be expensive

pff
>>
>>51492817
>Implying it's not already expensive
>>
>>51492804
artifact lands are fine. creatures are busted. stop the creature creep
>>
How does bant eldrazi handle token spam and creature aggro in general?

I still haven't found a way to combat something like goblins, mardu tokens or martyr life. There's just too many targets to control and by the time I have my smashers out, they have a full board to chump and kill anything I throw at them.
>>
I just got back into the game after a few months. WTF why is Git-Probe banned? What deck abused it to such a degree? What enabled dredge to flood the meta? I played against it after gitrog/ prized amalgam/ that one-drop vampire came out, it didn't seem too bad. Though it might have been early days for those cards and people didn't know how to use them.

Also, what's the hot new tech with affinity? Last time I played, people were playing lots of master of etherium and very little of etched champion. 1-2x of ensoul and/or hangarback walker. Sideboards were kind of wonky with affinity last time I played.
>>
>>51493000
Infect, Dredge, Delve and a deck called Zooicide (using Death's Shadow to slap people's shit).

>affinity tech
Nothing really new. Etherium still gets played, Champion still gets played. Ensoul ended up being a meme, and hangarback didn't really do much.
>>
>>51492879
Worship is a good option that sees play in a lot of bantdrazi sideboards. I personally also run 2 ghostly prisons for aggro matchups. Engineered Explosives is your biggest play here though, allowing you to wipe out the opponents board while leaving yours intact for just 2-4 mana, depending on what you need to hit.

Our game 1 is usually not great against token spam unless you're running mainboard EE (which a lot of people are doing), but we have all the tools you could possibly want to win after sideboarding.
>>
>>51493000
Some players, myself, included are running -2 Steel Overseer +2 Bomat Courier with the Galvanic Blasts/Mountain stock. The problem with Overseer is that you often keep hands that has only him as its payoff but 90% of the time you never untap with him and end up doing nothing, having 2 in your deck basically prevents you from drawing multiples since he does basically nothing in the late game after your board has been answered if your opponent isn't dead. Courier starts chipping at your opponent's life total immediately and if he isn't answered he turns into a Thoughtcast/Ancestral Recall later on. Having Haste with Plating on the field also makes it possible to win through active Liliana, after boardwipes etc. Otherwise the sideboard's basically the same old.

Spire of Industry is a new rainbow land that doesn't blow up like Glimmervoid (increasing the amount of keepable hands and makes you less likely to lose to a turn 1 bolt/nature's claim etc) and which taps for anus mana if you run Sea Gate Wreckage.
My current list, pretty close to the last GP top8s:
http://pastebin.com/a2LNsGbm
>>
>>51493306
Affinity player also, Courier is just a meme. Sure it might turn into Ancestral Recall overtime but most of the time it's just answered right away. Plus leaving Red mana open at all times to respond to removal slows us down.

On the other hand, untapping with Steel Overseer is better than untapping with Courier. Untapping two times with Overseer is way better than untapping two times with Courier. Untapping three times with Overseer directly wins you the game unlike Courier.
>>
>>51493298
Fun story with Worship, I played Affinity Vs Knightfall once at the LGS. They pulled Worship on me. I had a vault skirge with cranial plating and about 5 or so +1/+1 counters on it. We just kept whacking each other until he was forced to use all of his removal on my skirge, which is when i put plating on my Inkmoth and FINALLY ended that game. We got about half way into game two before we got time called on us.
>>
>>51493599
>but most of the time it's just answered right away
That's the thing, no one wants so spend removal on it when you have the rest of your payoff creatures + anyone carrying a Plating. Courier also makes hands with Signal Pest good, whereas Overseer is just clunky. If you untap with it twice sure you're 99% going to win but that's just what I call win more.
>>
Cheerios is probably the strongest deck in Modern right now. It consistently wins by storming the opponent out on turn 2-3. It's pretty much a certainty at this point: Mox Opal will get banned. I'd sell my Affinity valuables now if I owned any.
>>
>>51493764
If someone let's a potential Ancestral Recall go unanswered then you will win regardless of what you draw desu

Overseer is what makes you win the mirror match alongside other things.
>>
>>51493855
Drawing your sideboard is what makes the mirror.
>>
>>51493867
Out of curiosity, for how long have you been playing Affinity?
>>
>>51493886
Years
>>
>>51493846
This, desu.
>>
>>51493846
You have 5 seconds to name a single way that cheerios is better than infect
>>
>>51493846
>>51493937
Cheerios gets fucked over by t1 discard or removal on the paladin. Furthermore if they were to ban anything it would either be Retract or one of the paladins.

Stop samefagging and fuck off, you should've picked up on Affinity when it was cheap. No flavor of the month meme deck will get Opal banned
>>
>>51493974
Doesn't care about the board, Melira, Spellskite, Blood Moon or Chalice of the Void.
>>
File: 1398793326021.jpg (36KB, 285x357px) Image search: [Google]
1398793326021.jpg
36KB, 285x357px
>>51493846
>dies to bolt
>"best deck in modern"
>>
>>51494010
Infect doesn't care about Bolt, Push, Path, Decay, Eidolon of Rhetoric.
>>
>>51493987
>It consistently wins by storming the opponent out on turn 2-3.
>but it's vulnerable to discard

Irrelevant. It's still far too good. If you don't agree, you don't have a good understanding of the deck and how powerful it is. It's as simple as that. It's going to be the best deck in the format until it gets banned. Screencap this.
>>
>>51494010
>doesn't care about chalice

T1 I drop chalice on 0. Your move.
>>
>>51494043
Sure, but that's not what was asked.
>>
>>51494064
Chalice does nothing to prevent you from CASTING them. You take turn 3, cast your cheerios and cast Grapeshot off your lands/SSGs.
>>
>>51494060
>consistently

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

>>51494067
It's a rebuttal about your (erroneous) counter argument about Cheerios being better than Infect.
>>
Wait, is cheerios actually seeing play right now? What spiced it up? It's been a tier 15 shit deck for as long as I can remember.
>>
>>51494088
You would then need Sram to go off. Paladin doesn't care about casting triggers.
>>
>>51494108
Sram is Puresteel Paladin 5-8, made the deck a bit more consistent.
>>
>>51494108
It's flavor of the month meme deck because of Sram. These guys probably invested hard on some Retracts and need to unload them ASAP before people realize this and hype dies off

Fun fact: wanna know which deck also CONSISTENTLY won T2? Jeskai Ascendancy. Guess what, it hasn't been a thing since forever.
>>
>>51494119
You also can't repeal
>>
>>51494102
X can be better than Y IN SOME WAY without being better simpliciter. Learn to formulate your questions better.
>>51494119
The odds that you have a 1-of Chalice in your opener and the cheerios player has Puresteel Paladin and not Sram is what, some fractions of a percentage. And it's not like the Chalice can't be bounced with sb cards if that is the case.
>>
>>51494142
>1-of Chalice

You either literally don't play this format or just started playing recently. No deck that runs Chalice from the board runs just 1. Enjoy losing with your trash pile lmao
>>
>>51494010
Yeah, considering all that I don't think that's enough to make it an actual deck. Currently it's just a worse infect that is slightly better to some silver bullets but worse to others.
>>
BOLAS
>>
File: thatsthejoke.jpg (75KB, 452x339px) Image search: [Google]
thatsthejoke.jpg
75KB, 452x339px
>>51492845
>>
>>51494171
The only decks that runs a set of Chalice is Eldrazi Tron, which is just worse Bant, and R/W Prison piles, every other deck runs it in the board in few numbers. Affinity plays exactly 1 if at all.
>>
>>51494024
It plays silence, dude. Look up the card.
>>
>>51494256
Not main deck
>>
>>51494256
How does silence stop your opponent from bolting your shit in response?
>>
>>51492876
>artifact lands are fine
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>51488951
>boohoo I'm mad that someone else values their money less than I do and bought out the lot I wanted while I was trying to haggle

Try not being a bitch
>>
>>51494528
Not the guy, but I'd assume you'd play silence before trying to drop a puresteel.

Either way, I still don't think the deck will ever be more than a niche combo deck when all's said and done. Any deck that gets picked apart by discard and is so vulnerable to the most common card in the format is going to have a hard time in most tournaments. Not to mention how popular jund and junk are.
>>
>>51493846
Banning opal will not do much. They run lands and paradise mantle

Also
>best deck in modern
Fucking kek
>>
File: wanttoknowmore.jpg (39KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
wanttoknowmore.jpg
39KB, 640x512px
>>51491242
>12Rack
What is this exactly?
>>
>>51495034
Not an actual deck, like most of the decks in anon's list
But I'm gonna make UR Tron a Tier 4 deck
>>
File: Admonition Angel.jpg (344KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Admonition Angel.jpg
344KB, 1280x960px
Does anyone here have a Liliana the last hope? I got mine in the mail today and the typeline where it has her name is just slightly darker, with a bit of a purple tint, moreo than any other monoblack planeswalker I own. I'm a bit nervous, since I bought it online.

Could anyone just quick compare yours to another monoblack PW and see if it's the same? I'd ask the standard thread, but there doesn't appear to be one.

Sorry for the dumb question.
>>
>>51495151
Can't you post a pic of the card ? Or a close-up of the name ?
>>
>>51495151
They don't make fakes of that card
>>
>>51495151
Light test it.

Where'd you get it from?
>>
>>51493846
Banning opal does nothing to hurt cheerios and it only serves to hurt the 2 other decks that use opal. If they are going to ban anything it's either retract or paladin.

Stay retarded senpai
>>
>>51488981
Clearly I'm upset at the other buyer for paying more than what you could on tcg
>>
>>51495183
I'm not sure if the camera will pick up the difference well enough. That's why I asked for someone to compare it if they could. it's pretty slight, so it could easily just be a very minute misprint, or just the way the new planeswalker frame looks.

>>51495218
I got it off of TCGplayer, from a store that was "recently founded" so they had no feedback. It passed the light test, and I compared it to a couple other cards just to be sure.

>>51495203
They don't? Is it because of the new frame, or just no market for it, or some other third thing.
>>
File: Lilianacrop.png (2MB, 1527x686px) Image search: [Google]
Lilianacrop.png
2MB, 1527x686px
I tried my best. Maybe it only looks different to me because I've been looking for a difference, but to me it looks slightly darker than Ob Nixilis.
>>
>>51495390
I might be incorrect on this, but don't the counterfeit guys have a hard time doing that little foil thing at the bottom of the card?
>>
File: IMG_20170131_222017[1].jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170131_222017[1].jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>51495390
Nothing to worry about, it's just a "misprint"
Cards color are not always consistent between print runs

Pic related is two Highspire Infusions, from the same Bundle, with a slight color difference
>>
>>51495478
Thank you very much. I was sure I was worrying about nothing, but when it was a new online store with only a select few cards for sale, I got worried when it showed up just different enough for me to notice.
>>
>>51495390
i'm convinced chinese proxymen are actually saving MTG one proxy at a time

taking the game back from the (((collectors))) hell yea
>>
>>51495478
are you sure your card is not a fake?

china men are getting better at this every year
>>
>>51495577
>>are you sure your card is not a fake?
>Opened in a sealed Bundle in my FLGS
>Most recently released set
>Common
You could be right, I don't know
>>
>>51495604
i know you're probably pissed about your lgs selling you fake cards, but if you double sleeve it I'm sure nobody would notice
>>
>>51495577
All China cards fail basic touch and light tests.

The only people you're fooling are the mouth-breathing retards at your LGS
>>
>>51495767

MTGLion frequently shows off chinaman fakes that pass the light tests.
>>
>>51495764
>Double sleeving
>Not only using worthless card and homemade printing of cards worth more than 2 bucks while still having the actual card in a binder next to you, just in case someone want a proof of ownership
>>
>>51495802
You watch mtglion. Kill yourself
>>
>>51496225
t. Desolator fan
>>
>>51496238
They're all fucking garbage
>>
What are your guys thoughts on hulk footsteps? I was thinking of putting it together because I have most of the cards. It seems like a pretty powerful option since it can win on turn 2/3 and path to exile might get less popular with fatal push being so hyped. Plus this is really the only format where a protean hulk deck is somewhat viable. Is it actually consistent and can win through hate or is it just a shitty meme deck that loses to graveyard hate
>>
>>51496329
Nah man, it's a great deck. Nobody plays it because they hate winning
>>
>>51496329
>Is it actually consistent and can win through hate or is it just a shitty meme deck that loses to graveyard hate
Well what the fuck do you think?
It's like my grand architect pili pala deck. Shit but hilarious when it works. If you want good combo go eat some cheerios
>>
>>51496621
>Go with cheerios if you want good combo
I never thought I'd see the day
>>
>>51496621
>recommending a deck that's gonna get banned
Wew lad
>>
>>51496802
>>51496731
Jesus christ you retards. Cheerios is not going to get banned. Nor is it strong. I've played against it countless times. Even if you lose game 1 it's nearly impossible to lose again once you know what they're on
>>
>>51496621
wtf? cheerios is complete garbage, any removal spell or discard spell on your one of only 8 creatures in the deck makes it completely non-functional.
>>
>>51496855
>consistent turn 2/3 kills
>capable of t1 kill
>resilient to hate
Spot the cheerios pilot trying to keep people off of his precious pet deck.

Enjoy the bans kiddo
>>
>>51497016
Spot the moron who sucks at this game
>>
>>51497016
Cheerios is terrible and not that consistent.

Even Martyr shits on that deck, it's not good.
>>
>>51497016
This whole post just shows how inept you are at magic the gathering lmao
>>
>>51496329

The deck can play through Path to Exile easily by using Makeshift Mannequin to reanimate. Most game 1 situations you should win turn 3-4. Game 2 and Game 3 is where you need the plan to fight through the hate. I personally play a Venser+Greater Gargadon sideboard as well as also a Grave Titan sideboard plan. Couple of extra Swan Song's and i've got an alternate wincon
>>
Spire of Industry is definitely going to replace some Glimmervoid slots in Affinity, most likely a 2/2 split or 3/1 in favour of Spire if optimistic. You would be surprised at the increase of far more keepable hands with Spire over Glimmervoid just so your turn 1 Vault Skirge being killed doesn't end up doing one half of Smallpoxing you. Hope of Ghirapur is also the real deal in Affinity too from the side. Shuts down combo decks like Ad Nauseam, if you time it right you keep Lotus Bloom's in permanent suspend and keep them off the mana. I also play AN and know how backbreaking it is to have your LB remanded and this is far worse.
>>
>>51498224
How much life would you lose in a typical game from one land? No more than fetch+shock?
>>
>>51498638

Sweet fuck all, you don't have much coloured spells as is anyway so at the worst you'll lose 1 life per turn for a total of 3 life across 3 turns. However on average i'd say about 1-2 per game, it's a rather miniscule amount to pay considering the deck. I don't exactly have hard data evidence but in personal testing this is what i have found.
>>
Also another thing to add is that Pia's Revolution is a sweet 1 of mainboard in Affinity.

Yes we all know that giving your opponent a choice is bad in most cases but considering that you can sac shit to Ravager and play 2 Mox Opal's in succession, they're either going to bolt themselves to keep your Ravager and at the same time everything you would have sac'd prior should now be back in your hand to be replayed. I have Athreos in my sideboard in Abzan Elves and you should see the stinkeye that Jund players give when I slam it down.
>>
>>51499007
I wonder would it be possible to make a working eggs deck based around Pia's revolution.
>>
>>51499007
>Pia's Revolution
>Athreos
Those both sound exceptionally spicy and take very little commitment with just one slot. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>51499160
You could just play Burn and lose to exactly half the hate cards.
>>
>>51499160

I mean you could do that but what do you cut and where would you slot it in? Aetherflux Reservoir would be stronger as a singleton in Eggs because you can just cast one-two spells afterwards and then just burn them for 50. Or you generate a bajillion mana and Banefire or hit em with Walking Ballista if you have to.
>>
>>51499187

I think it goes without saying to not play Athreos in Affinity. It works in Elves because you can grab it with Chord of Calling and CoCo.
>>
File: Man_14a567_6162190.jpg (56KB, 581x455px) Image search: [Google]
Man_14a567_6162190.jpg
56KB, 581x455px
Why does anyone ever play grixis control with shitty meme blue spells when they could play Jund which is superior in every way with and actual fucking clock and good green spells?
>>
>>51499406
Because counters save you from dying to combo and snap is amazing.
Jund isn't the be all end all.

I don't even play grixis
>>
>>51499406
how do you bolt snap bolt in jund?
>>
>>51499406

Because Jund doesn't play Snapcaster getting you extra copies of certain spells. Jund is mostly a 1 for 1 deck, that's why the deck has problems with Lingering Souls.
>>
>>51499406
I can't run vapor snag in Jund :)
>>
>>51499559
By playing actual creatures and not glorified spells
>>
>>51499559
Why bolt snap bolt when you can just swing once with a tarmogoyf? Half the mana and half the cards seems pretty good desu
>>
>>51499702
Bolt snap bolt is why I play magic
>>
File: goyf repellent.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
goyf repellent.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>51499723
>Tarmagoyf
>>
>>51499759
thoughseized :)
>>
File: inquisition of kozilek.jpg (59KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
inquisition of kozilek.jpg
59KB, 480x680px
>>51499759
>Spell Snare
>>
File: fatalpush2.jpg (32KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
fatalpush2.jpg
32KB, 300x300px
>>51499783
>>
>>51499406
Because they can't afford Goyf and Liliana
>>
>>51499988
>goyf still sitting at a cool 100 dolla bill
Not my kind of green son.
>>
>>51500043
Poorfags need not apply
>>
File: 1482545577984.jpg (346KB, 1092x1348px) Image search: [Google]
1482545577984.jpg
346KB, 1092x1348px
>he doesn't play jund
Explain yourself
>>
>>51501874
I'm waiting for my waifu robots
>>
>>51501874
Fuck off with this Facebook meme garbage
>>
>>51501874
>tfw I play BW tokens but am not Chinese
Is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>51501874
Not everyone has 2 grand lying around.
I have it built and have exclusively played it for a year and half, but I get why people don't have it.
>>
>>51501874
Jundfags truly are the most obnoxious
>>
>>51501946
consulte your doctor to see if you're secretly chinese
>>
File: P1070486.jpg (120KB, 345x480px) Image search: [Google]
P1070486.jpg
120KB, 345x480px
>>51499406
I play RUG but honestly, playing blue is actually just fun.
You get to draw cards, set up your top decks and play almost entirely at instant speed.
I think this last part is what turns me off jund the most. Aside from your removal, you're playing at sorcery speed. There just isn't as much sequencing or options.
Which leads into the topdeck philosophy. I find it boring to be blunt. Kinda gets old slamming whatever you rip because it's more powerful than your opponents things. I like to have cards in hand.
For the literal autists out there, I get jund doesn't always end up operating like this but that's a situation the deck shines in.

Also you get shit on by tron, and boy do I get booty blasted when tron gets away from me.
>>
File: image-55936d6709b76.jpg (28KB, 586x384px) Image search: [Google]
image-55936d6709b76.jpg
28KB, 586x384px
>>51502062
>For the literal autists out there
>>
>>51494043
Infect cares about most of those cards
>>
>>51495284
Banning opal hurts cheeri0s pretty hard. The decks is incredibly fragile but opal lets it be super fast. Without opal there's really no reason to play it.
>>
Alright there lads, how are we doing this fine morning?

I need some help. I'm trying to make esper Geist a thing or at least make my deck more viable.

What would you guys think is a more effective threat package.
Geist+lingering souls
Geist+tasigur
Or all three.

I'm running the standard cantrip selection with a few counters and path and push as the removal. I think I need hand hate to make things run smoothly so I'm trying to find space.

Counters are 2 cryptic command 2 remand 3 spell snare.

Cheers lads
>>
>>51501874
>smug fedora lords
>try hards
Pretty accurate desu
>>
>>51501874
I play monoblue and I hate merfolk
>>
>>51499919
How do fatal push kiddos feel now that nobody's playing it?
>>
>>51505966
Every Grixis and Junk list is running it?
>>
>>51501874
Because Jund is a shit deck that requires literally zero (0) skill and that gets pushed out of favor whenever there's the slightest meta change.
>>
>>51499726
>Playing creatures to tap sideways and not just only by it's ETB effects or repeatable busted effects
pls kys
>>
>>51507531
Was for>>51499702
>>
>>51485159
I saw a guy playing Repeal and metallic rebukes, it seems really good. Repeal for 0 is pretty nice.
>>
>>51495390
not fake 100% the foil stamp can't be made by chinaman, so no worries.
>>
>>51495390
The better way to get a stamp for now is to take one from one of your card, and glue it
It'll look good double sleeved and across a table, but I don't think It would fool anyone who see it directly
You can try to touch the stamp and feel if there is something wrong with it
Imo they are the best proxy, playable, but not tradeable
>>
>>51509251
Wtf, you're retarded lol
>>
File: y9APB4D.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
y9APB4D.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>51509314
Here,have a liliana
>>
>>51509528
This ain't standard, kiddo
>>
File: 20170201_201512.png (399KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170201_201512.png
399KB, 1080x1920px
>>51509534
Fringe playable doesnt mean not playable at all
>>
>>51509678
I can put a one of Kiora in my deck too. Doesn't men it's a smart thing to do
>>
>>51509692
I chalenge you to top 8 a 200+ player event doing so
>>
>>51509709
I'm certain he didn't win because of last hope. Might have something to do with playing jund
>>
>>51509752
So why is HE the top 8 ed jund player, above all other who didn't packed a shit card instead of a good card, and had no potential dead draws ?
>>
>>51495034
8Rack with 4 deathrites preban.
>>
>>51484634
It's none of my business if my opponent wants to use ugly cards. Doesn't make my decks any less aesthetic. I bet you get triggered by mismatched playsets too.
>>
>>51509839
>who didn't packed a shit card instead of a good card, and had no potential dead draws
What are you even talking about. What shit card did all the jund players bring?
LotV? You do realize the legend rule applies all the same. Last hope is still a Lili
>>
File: 1485808123718.jpg (19KB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
1485808123718.jpg
19KB, 320x241px
>>51509962
>mismatched playsets
>>
>tfw don't get triggered by mismatched playsets

I only get triggered by mismatched basic lands, I always choose mine based on a theme or set
>>
>>51510322
>not running 1 Unglued and 1 Unhinged Forest in Tron
>>
>>51510322
>in my legacy deck
>8 guru islands
>3 7th edition white border islands just to trigger autists
>>
>>51509528
Nigga that looks waxy af

If I saw that across the table I'd ask why you dip your cards in Vaseline
>>
>>51510677
>white border
Mismatching cards is one thing, but white+black border is heresy senpai
>>
>>51510698
lol
>>
>>51510698
I play with a single white border land in every one of my decks.

The slight flash of "What the fuck?" that goes across some peoples' faces is too good to not fish for.
>>
>>51510839
I don't think anyone actually cares. It just looks shitty
>>
>>51510970
see >>51510698
>>
>>51510297
My tron playset is mismatched across multiple different editions, with different art, with some white and black border ones mixed in, and a single japanese mine for some reason. Are you telling me this actually bothers people? It's just fuckin cardboard.
>>
>>51511222
Mismatching Tron pieces makes you a special kind of faggot
>>
>>51510439
The only Unglued land I like is the Island. Unhinged lands are nice, but everybody uses them, people with bad taste ruined them.

>>51510677
Guru lands are amazing, but way too expensive for my taste.
>>
>>51511317
The island is goat
I've recently moved to mercadian masques arena basics now though
>>
>>51511332
That's pretty good, but I only use foils in my EDH decks.
>>
>>51511332
>>51511317
Mirage/og Ice age or lower ONLY.
>>
>people complaining about tron being too good
>it doesn't even get top 8 in the last tournament

Get gud, you scrubs
>>
>>51512227
Nobody thinks it's too good
It's polarizing and very lame
>>
File: wew.png (18KB, 341x602px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
18KB, 341x602px
rate my decklist
I'm bad
>>
File: heh.jpg (640KB, 1539x1856px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
640KB, 1539x1856px
i like playing shitty decks
>>
Could anyone please explain to me the land choices in this deck?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14317&d=285458&f=MO

Are you just eating your own flagstones with ghost to filter plains out of your deck without giving life for fetch lands?
>>
>>51514375
If you have crucible you can do that quite effectively, while controlling the opponent's land base.
>>
>>51515413
But crucible is a 1 of. That doesn't seem very reliable.
>>
>>51482902
play this guy instead
>>
File: riddlesmith.jpg (62KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
riddlesmith.jpg
62KB, 480x680px
>>51516673
pic related
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
31KB, 223x310px
Is dredge actually dead or are people too busy crying over the loss of grave troll to consider alternatives? I know dredge 4 on, say, golgari thug isn't anywhere near as good as dredge 6, but I think it can at least be tested.
>>
>>51505966
I replaced my disfigures and side boarded 2 dismembers for a playset in 8 rack. 2 main, 2 side. It seems to work way better.
>>
>>51516949
>dredge 6
The fact dredge loses a big ass beater to play over a grafdigger's cage or a late leyline of the void hurts a lot. Thug dredges for less and his only potential upside is recurring narcomebas which is niche compared to trolls other use.

All in all, dredge is still playable but it's not nearly as explosive or consistent as it was with troll and combined with the fact it gets btfo by hate sometimes points to the deck "dying"
>>
>>51517624
That's sad. I want new decks in Modern. They could have hit Cathartic and I think it would not die
>>
I'm going to be running tooth and nail at the vegas GP.

Besides losing, what should I expect there and what should my sideboard look like?
>>
>>51483411

>late reply

you have a point but it's less about what mana base to use and more about **why** that mana base is effective. your fetches cover a number of colors, and count as X sources. Shocks cover Y. You leave room for Z other lands.

That sort of stuff. It's not just about being able to find your lands, it's about understanding the efficiency of a mana base and how you can build and brew around any land. it's about how you can ensure you have your mana by turn X to cast card Y with Z color restrictions.

It helps non pro players understanding the logistics behind why pro players choose the mana bases they do on feel, without relying on feelings gleaned from hundreds of play tests.
>>
>>51514375
You don't need fetches, you're mono white. Flags allow you to turn ghost quarters into plains for emeria or for mistviel plains
>>
ded
>>
>>51521064
modern was dead when wotc banned twin and patron warrior
>>
>>51518637
Why would you do that to yourself? What's the point of playing a combo deck that loses to creature removal (And ghost quarter)?
>>
>>51516875

>other dudes
>play your hand
>hand full

>this dude
>play your hand
>hand still empty after

Not even comparable.
>>
I've been playing Troll Worship at my lgs and consistently going x-0 or x-1 in our weeklies. Is this deck good or are my opponents just bad? Is the deck basically boggles for people who don't wear helmets at all times?
>>
>>51522826
kind of depends on what your meta game looks like
>>
If your opponent can keep up with a removal spell every turn for enchantments, lands and creatures, he's not doing anything, either.

And I want to run it because I know I won't win more than 1 round regardless of what I play, anyway. I'm mostly going for side events.
>>
>>51523075
Meant for >>51522448
>>
Hot mess of dead, batman. Where is everyone?
>>
>>51525887
Going 4-0 with Affinity at their LGS.
>>
>>51525991
>implying I didn't do it with Esper draw-go
>>
File: IMG_5586.jpg (60KB, 364x414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5586.jpg
60KB, 364x414px
With Aethervial/Flickerwisp and RestoAngel could I make Mangara of Corondor do work? I think I'll give it a whirl.
>>
File: 1357241764566468.png (3KB, 335x261px) Image search: [Google]
1357241764566468.png
3KB, 335x261px
>>51526021
You kids and your memes.
>>
>>51526045
>esper control
>meme
Stay mad BGx fags
>>
File: Btl7K5PIEAAd-kk.jpg-large.jpg (115KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Btl7K5PIEAAd-kk.jpg-large.jpg
115KB, 768x1024px
>>51526045
The only meme here is my narset deck
>>
>>51525887
Ded format
>>
>>51526190
esper control is the biggest meme there is
>>
>>51526678
>beats BGx
>beats other control
>beats combo
The only bad matchups for it right now are Tron and Burn, although burn isn't terrible.

There was an esper control that got 9th at one of the recent scg tournaments and I could see it doing better in the future.

Esper is not a meme, mardu and sultai are.
>>
>>51526779
>beats BGx
If they draw like shit, sure.
>beats other control
Tron is control, UWR can close games and Nahiri is better than anything Esper has access to.
>beats combo
If we're talking about the only real combo deck left, Ad Nauseam, lol no.
>>
>>51526816
>if they draw like shit sure
BGx is unflavored versus Esper research the matchup retard
>tron is control
Wew
>jeskai can close games better
Bolt snap bolt only goes so far and Nahiri isn't resolving against Esper if they try to cast it and that's implying I didn't discard it or instant speed mind rot it.
>Ad naseum is the only combo deck
Wew
>>
>>51526985
*unfavored
>>
>>51518637
I play mono green tooth and nail. My sideboard has Biorhythm, Bramblecrush,Guttural Response, Choke, Obstinate Baloth, Thrun

Obviously you should be running Ancient Grudge, Scavenging Ooze and Crumble to Dust seem good right now.

If you're running Harmonize in the mainboard, I've found that Courser of Kruphix is usually better. I'm really liking the idea of Rishkar's Expertise, but I haven't tested it yet.
>>
>>51526901
>>51526985
i like how you wrote the same post twice, but with more memes the second time
>>
>>51527508
Only 2 memes though friend :)
>>
>>51527096
Why do you say courser is better than harmonize?

Harmonize is only 1 mana more but nets you a much better chance at drawing a tooth and nail you might need
>>
ey b0ss

am switching out of infect, honestly i'm terrible with it cus I punt whenever I mull to 5. Is switching to junk a good idea? I just really hate losing to myself.

Fought scapeshift last week and spent a good 5 miserable turns with a pendelhaven and literally nothing else. that was the last straw
>>
>>51530768
You want tron. It plays itself
>>
>>51530919
how so? I considered it but my community is rife with linear aggro....although there is still a significant number of coco and bgx as well
>>
>>51530978
You look for lands then once you have those lands you play whatever threats you come across. It doesn't have much play to it
>>
>>51531027

ah yeah, but I don't wanna play pseudo solitaire too.. would eldrazi tron be a good deck too or is that just another meme
>>
>>51531134
It's not a bad choice. Honestly, I think anything that can abuse thought knot seer has game. That being said, tron is stronger
>>
File: bug_robot.jpg (330KB, 682x952px) Image search: [Google]
bug_robot.jpg
330KB, 682x952px
>>51482902
i never knew this blue dude exsisted
>>
>>51531965
>cryptolith rite
hope you lads bought your playsets, it's only a matter of time before this breaks modern
>>
>>51516475
It doesn't matter, the opportunity cost of running 4 flagstones is zero. People run them in mono white decks with a low curve for free thinning.
>>
File: 1454905354906.png (318KB, 496x559px) Image search: [Google]
1454905354906.png
318KB, 496x559px
What will be banned from cheerios?

What decks will be killed in the process due to storms degeneracy?
>>
>>51533625
Nothing.
>>
>>51533625
why would you ban a trash deck?
>>
>>51531965
literally worse than cheerios
>>
>>51533625
>falls apart to any interaction whatsoever
literal meme deck
>>
>>51533625
it's time affinity got a ban too.

#BanOpal #Makemoderngreatagain
>>
File: cancer.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51533625
just unban mental misstep, ya know to keep cheerios in check :>
>>
File: 1454937900977790.png (77KB, 198x277px) Image search: [Google]
1454937900977790.png
77KB, 198x277px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-dredge-v2-1/
I need more help if anyone would
>>
>>51501874
>play RG tron
>poor
>>
>>51531027
Never played Tron: The Post
>>
What they could have done instead of banning G-tax:

print a card like this or something, i dunno:

1GG or 2G
Instant
Remove all counters on target player
That player cannot gain any counters until end of turn

That way, Infect could still read a players hand and a lot of decks would still have access to decent infect silver bullets
>>
>>51536284
AND it would also work with the current standard set because of their stupid energy counter bullshit
>>
>>51534884
Your deck is hilariously slow inefficient. If you want to play graveyard shenanigans, play dredge.
>>
>>51536284
Probe wasn't banned because of Infect.
>>
>tfw half of my last 5 cockatrice matches were against black midrange or control
>tfw beat all of them using black midrange

thank you wizards
>>
>>51536895
But anon you are objectively wrong

Gitaxian Probeincreased the number of third-turn kills in a few ways, but particularly by giving perfect information (and a card) to decks that often have to make strategic decisions about going "all-in." This hurt the ability of reactive decks to effectively bluff or for the aggressive deck to miss-sequence their turn. Ultimately, the card did too much for too little cost

Straight from the WotC ban update article
>>
>>51537530
And the decks in question were Suicide Zoo and Bloo. No draw with Infect that isn't only Elf+pump 4s is "all in", you either sculpt a deterministic kill through n removals with n+1 pumps/protection or chip away with multiple creatures. Probe is only busted when it's one free third of a deal 20 combo or permanently +2 counters on target Death's Shadow that cantrips and peeks.
>>
>>51537739
If you honestly think zooicide was the reason probe was banned, then you don't actually play modern
>>
>>51537785
Infect has about one thousand other ways to fill its yard and the information was just training wheels for pilots worth their salt. The only decks that can't really replace it and lost their tier 1 worth because of that were exactly Zoo and Bloo.
>>
>>51537161
list?
>>
>>51533769
Show the jury where the Arcbound Ravager touched you.
>>
>>51531965
tendrils isn't even modern legal dummy
>>
>>51508553
There are Fake Ugins around. They use cheap rares, remove the color, and print on it. Though they seem extremely rare, since they are more expensive to manufacture.
>>
>>51533789
to counter what? Silence?
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.