[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 452
Thread images: 28

File: 1469422951440.jpg (841KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1469422951440.jpg
841KB, 1000x1000px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51464974
>>
>no discord link

nice
>>
Fighters are shit.
>>
>LMoP
How do you kill the young green dragon? If it's at half flies away, is there a way to stop it from flying away? Or a mindset that will make the young green dragon fight on?
>>
What would an every-class multiclass be like?

Apart from shit.
>>
Moar ideas to necromancy puzzles.
>>
>>51474411
>Killing literally everything that comes your way

You do realize there's better things to do than that, right? Like having someone in your party that speaks draconic realizing that it just wants people off its goddamn lawn.
>>
>>51474403
yeah the highest DPR in the game without expending any resources, that can consistently blow up targets and has fantastic crowd control abilities sure sounds terrible
>>
>>51474411
Earthbind.
>>
>>51474411
- Drop a cage on it
- Clip its wings
- Control spells
- Make your party fly and fight it in the sky

etc

Tons of options.
>>
>>51474441
>reasoning with a green dragon
>>
>>51474445
Literally a worse Oathbreaker, anon.
>>
So after consulting with potentially biased people(my gaming group) the consensus is that this homebrew of mine is pretty much the final version. It'd require some playtesting to see if it holds up to being balanced or not however, but in the end I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. Posting this for the one anon and whoever else might've been interested in playing this.
>>
>>51474441
>lawful evil tricky dragon
My party ended their session right as the dragon greeted them. They want to kill it, but I'm going to try and have it deceived the party into being a guardian and the Druid is evil.
>>51474461
Can a player grapple/climb the dragon and it flies off?
>>
>>51474411
Drop a backpack full of alchemist's fire down its throat when it comes up to eat you.

RIP brave Halfling Rogue
>>
>>51474494
I don't see why not?

>>51474445
"Fighters are good" is my new favorite 5eg meme.
>>
>>51474435
Skeletons where they rearrange themselves into new creatures when they're killed in specific ways, and you have to kill them in a specific form order to open a door.

>ranged attacks make them respawn as wolf skeletons
>melee attacks make them respawn as human skeletons
>magic attacks make them respawn as bear skeletons
>door shows ancient war of humans taming wolves then using them to kill bears
>>
>>51474403
>Fighter
>Half-Orc
>Champion
>Fighting Style Two Handed Weapon
>Feat Greatweapon Master
>20 STR
>Greatsword 2d6 damage.

You're god, while the Paladin is exausted without any slots you're dealing 3d6+5 criticals all the day plus reroll 1 and 2 damage dices.
>>
>>51474431
I like the exercise, so are we counting the ranger and the revised ranger as different classes? Is the artificer in?
>>
Tell me your character idea, including race, class, and archetype. I'll come up with an item I'd give you as your DM.

If you use 3rd party stuff tell me what it does. Also if your stuff includes a patron or a deity, tell me about them too.
>>
>>51474548
Let's say Artificer as yes, revised ranger as no.
>>
>>51474551
Rock gnome artificer on the alchemist line, lawful neutral.
>>
>>51474535
>Greatsword
>not Pole-arm
>somehow optimized
>half-nig to boot

kek
>>
>>51474551
Firbolg open hand monk, raised in an isolated human monastery after his tribe was wiped out, strong sense of justice, but very shy.
>>
>>51474551
Horizon Walker/Oath of Treachery Paladin whose entire village was slaughtered by a giant wolf with dark yellow eyes and hair that was frosted with a dark red color. For some reason, he was spared by this beast and now vows to hunt and kill it for revenge.
>>
>>51474606
Why oath of treachery and not oath of vengeance?
>>
>>51474598
Pole-arm is for pussies.
>>
>>51474535
GWM will never compete with PAM+GWM.

Never.
>>
I've been out of the loop for DnD for years but my friend asked me to run a game with the Starter Set she got for Christmas.

I was expecting something akin to the awful 4th edition starter set i had years ago and said i'd run it that night.

Holy shit i am so impressed! Kids or casuals literally could play DnD probably for years just with whats in that set. Really really good and we had a blast.
>>
warforged samurai who woke up in the neverwinter woods. Wandered and developed his own honor code and fighting style by pushing his limits and seeking strong foes. Hopes to find out why he was created and what led him to be asleep for seems to be centuries.
>>
>>51474627
Because he's also a dick who often gets sidetracked.
>>
>>51474551
Drow Rogue Swashbuckler/GOO Warlock (starting as Rogue then forced into Warlock).

Daylight not a concern due to house rulings.

GOO is Vhaeraun - DM's input.

Neutral Evil, overarching desire to live forever without becoming a lich and instead by stealing a god's divinity.
>>
>>51474472
>only good at an extremely high level is way better than a build that come sonline at level 4!

lol ok, have fun being bad for the first 6 levels, and then still not doing as much damage
>>
>>51474592
Give me a personality or something to work with.

>>51474600
Prayer bead necklace given to him by an old, blind monk who trained the PC while the PC cared for the monk. You can use Hidden Step X times before needing a short rest, where X = proficiency bonus. You have to make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw to make eye contact with someone while wearing the prayer beads. If you are blinded, you gain 15 ft. of blindsense until the blinded condition ends.
>>
>>51474551
Goblin Chainlock, in the service of Titania. Is currently trapped in the Underdark, he seeks a way to return to that eternal summer forest, and to dance and drink the night away with the sprites and pixies
>>
>>51474664
For>>51474551
>>
>>51474682
Constantly experimenting, always testing out some new method of powering his inventions, of a more critical thinking mind than a combative one. Likes to study works from other alchemists.
>>
>>51474680
>11 is an extremely high level

lmao
>>
>>51474627
A broken dagger stained with a trickle of the wolf's blood, recovered from the body of a villager who tried in vain to protect his family. It deals 2d4 additional damage to beasts (or fiends or whatever the type of this special wolf is), and you may use Poison Strike one additional time per short rest against that type of creature.
>>
>>51474673
>Vhaeraun
>>51474551
>Also if your stuff includes a patron or a deity, tell me about them too.
>>
>>51474551
Goblin Wizard, who stole a dead Wizard's spellbook and fled before the rest of his tribe found out. Spent over twenty years hiding out in the middle of a haunted forest teaching himself how to read and then use the magic in the book. Now, after returning to find his tribe dead, plots someway to become immortal and take back the goblin race from Maglibiyet and make them worship him instead.
>>
My BBEG is a fallen angel, specifically an erinyes, who still loves the Good deities despite her demotion. Her plan is to purge an entire world of its various mortals and repopulate it with a race that is actually worthy of worshipping Good.

She holds conventional humanoids in utter loathing, hating them for not fully appreciating and submitting themselves to the forces of Good. She's not afraid to share this opinion, loudly, repeatedly, with anyone she encounters.

For the big climax, I'm giving her the ability to use a Rope of Entanglement as a lair action, and the ability to use Vicious Mockery as a cheap legendary action. The rope is because hay, she's an erinyes, and the Vicious Mockery is because of her constant, withering stream of insults.

What might be some other thematic lair/legendary actions be, to give to a devil who still has a perverse appreciation for Good and heaps of contempt for her opponents?
>>
>>51474741
I don't follow. Vhaeraun is standard Forgotten Realms - drow god, opposed to Lolth, also evil, supports drow living on the surface, wears a mask, likes gender equality?
>>
>>51474551
Cliché japanime delinquent styled half-orc monk. Runs around using his bat as a homebrewed monk weapon and arrogantly looks down on anyone he perceives as weak. Used to be a part of the not-yakuza! until he formed a tsundere friendship with the party and joined them. Obsessively combs his pompadour.
>>
>>51474759
Smite.

Also she should have some blindly zealous loyal Paladin manservant(s).
>>
>>51474664
A magical crystal shard embedded in your dominant hand. Once per short rest, you can use a bonus action to channel electricity through your hand into a weapon made of metal. Until the start of your next turn, the weapon deals xd4 additional lightning damage, where x = proficiency bonus. You take 5 lightning damage when you use this ability. The crystal whispers things to you occasionally and often tells you when you're near something or someone related to the creation of warforged.
>>
>>51474722
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/april-survey-results

Sorry, but the average game never hits above level 6, and most long campaigns end around level 10, making level 11 an extremely high level that only a TINY minority of players will ever see.

Im sorry you got BTFO that hard, but youre retarded and deserve it.
>>
>>51474705
A wreath of grape vines to wear around your head. Your familiar gains Magic Initiate (bard) while you're wearing the wreath. The wreath has 10 grapes on it, which regrow daily at dawn if picked off. You may use an action to pick a grape off the wreath to feed a grape to a creature, healing X damage, where X = proficiency bonus.
>>
>>51474551
Fallen aasimar paladin (vengeance), he was possessed by a demon who made him kill his adoptive family, now he wanders the land hunting demons and trying to find the one who killed his family
>>
>>51474759
Drastically increase the gravity in her lair, forcing all targets within range to succeed on a save or be forced to their knees in submission.
>>
What if you had to expend Hit Die every time you got healed to represent your body's metabolism being fast-forwarded?

So a healing spell would heal for the amount stated in its description only if the target spends Hit Die, regaining health equal to both the spell and the roll of the Hit Die. Casting healing spells at a higher level would allow more Hit Die to be spent (assuming the target has Hit Die left) at a rate of 1HD/extra spell level, in addition to any extra healing the spell gets from being cast at a higher level, of course.
>>
>>51474721
Your alchemist satchel gains a new ability. If you collect a quart of blood of a creature, you can make 1 alchemist fire/acid that deals a type of damage that creature could deal. (You might even make a potion that is liquified claw that deals slashing damage. Imagine being able to throw it at a tree to cut it down.)
>>
>>51474823
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/april-survey-results

>the average game never hits above level 6
>14 levels of content are never used

I'm glad I don't play with faggots like you, holy shit. And this only makes fighters even worse, you know. If that were true, Moon Druids would be the best.
>>
>>51474751
Find Familiar magically appears in your spellbook, and you feel compelled to use it and keep a familiar available to you at all times. You don't need to pay the cost to perform the ritual. No matter what form your familiar takes, it has Magic Initiate: Wizard, and it can use your spell slots to cast its feat-granted 1st level spell. It offers you helpful advice to achieve your goal.
>>
>>51474871
That's definitely something I'd be down for. More reagents/abilities to play around with is always fun.
>>
>>51474888
>survey of thousands and thousands of users
>claims its "just me" that plays that way, not literally everyone
>still this buttmad about class balance and refusing to accept classes fill different niches
>still doesnt realize fighters deal insane damage at level 4 without expending resources
>>
>>51474551
Human bard who's pretty ugly and can't play music for shit, but knows lots about magic, lore, history, and myths. He's really quiet, and his goal for the adventure is to grow more confident as a person.
>>
>>51474551
Teenage rogue with poorfag father and dead mother. Father earned money to take care of character by working as a thief, but got screwed over by his partner and is in jail now. Character wants to earn and/or steal enough money to bail him out.
She's also secretly a reverse trap, but the party doesn't know this.
>>
File: Bandit.png (565KB, 801x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bandit.png
565KB, 801x500px
>>51474551
Human paladin of vengeance. A former brigand and highwayman, he experienced an unexpected change of heart when his gang transformed into a dark cult of devil worshippers. Still armed with twin daggers and more at home hidden in a shadow than out in the open, he's now a masked agent of justice.
>>
>>51474779
I don't know FR deities, so I need info on them when you include them as something relevant to your character.

You have a mask granted to you by your patron. It hides you from divination spells and other magical or supernatural effects that would reveal your location, thoughts, alignment, etc. Vhaeraun whispers his agenda to you through the mask occasionally. You'll notice he often asks where you are, as if the mask's effects even work on him.

The mask has 3 charges which recover daily at dawn. You may spend 1 charge to cast Invisibility on yourself without using a spell slot as a bonus action, or you may spend 3 charges to cast Greater Invisibility on yourself without a spell slot as an action.
>>
>>51474551
LE Human Cleric of Death with the soldier background. Undecided on deity (he might simply pay homage to the *concept* of death). Soldier background.

He's a veteran with horrible memories of war. He's convinced he can make conventional warfare (including the kind that traumatized him) a thing of the past by "conscripting" the dead. He's constantly creating more undead than he can effectively control. He keeps trying/researching new ways to increase how firm a grip he can maintain on the undead, and refuses to accept the blame for when an out-of-control zombie wanders off and bites someone.
>>
>>51474957
Cool stuff. I dig it.

In the campaign so far the most useful thing would be blocking people from reading my character's thoughts and alignments, that's happened too often.
>>
>>51474782
The bat is magical, and it is golden and slightly bent. You may use the following spells 3 times per day each: Misty Step, Longstrider, and Pass Without Trace.
>>
>>51474431
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3jb6wo/multiclass_all_the_things_5e/
>>
>>51474830
He grows a single horn out of his forehead. When he uses the Attack action, he can use a bonus action to make an attack with the horn. The horn deals 1d8+Str piercing damage. When you deal necrotic damage with the horn, you may heal that many hit points. The horn is slowly corrupting you into a demon yourself the more you use it.
>>
>>51474934
Is this character not using Charisma? My first thought is to give him an instrument that changes his bard abilities to function based on Intelligence. The instrument is made of solid bronze and cannot play good-sounding music at all.
>>
>>51474987
Checks several boxes, including bling, *teleports behind u* and makes the enemies say "Woah, h-he's fast!"

chuckled
>>
>>51474551
Lawful evil drow noble. A young brat who sold his soul to a chaotic evil devil in exchange for power (tome warlock) to prove himself. Spoiled and complains often about the surface not being as good as the underdark ("No maggots? And this bread isn't even mouldy!"). Focuses on manipulation/control magic to get his way.
>>
>>51475051
> a chaotic evil devil
That's a new one.
>>
>>51475044
He does but I intentionally put his score low. INT and WIS are his highest.
>>
New UA when?

Are hyped?

Do you think it will be shit?

Will it be sorcs + locks ?
>>
>>51474943
The character finds her father's weapon of choice, quickly discarded before his arrest in the hopes he or you could recover it. The weapon has keys dangling from its pommel/grip that act as a set of thieves' tools. You have advantage on checks made with thieves' tools, and you become proficient in Initiative rolls. Occasionally you get thoughts of paranoia, concern, despair, fear, and rarely hope that you can tell do not originate from you. Father's emotions toward daughter are coming through a link with the weapon, offering some help and supernatural awareness
>>
>>51474956
Your daggers grant you the Dual Wielder feat and deal 1d8 damage. You can use a bonus action to gain advantage on Stealth checks, and you add Invisibility and Greater Invisibility to your oath spell list.
>>
>>51474978
I hope you appreciate the irony in the patron/god giving you an item that screws him over. The RP with him hints the item works against him too.
>>
>>51474920
>no numbers on the survey
>survey indicates games actually go to level 10 and 11
>implying that fighters can outdamage a Moon Druid at level 4
>muh resources

I don't know why I'd be mad that fighters are shitty. They've always been shitty. I feel bad that you use them. And that you don't even use PAM.
>>
>>51475058
Err, I fucked up the classification.
>>
File: 1480474514972.jpg (62KB, 754x565px) Image search: [Google]
1480474514972.jpg
62KB, 754x565px
>>51474486
OP as fuck garbage +1

Hey I heard you wanted to play a mastermind except better in every concievable way

I didn't even have to get past the level 2 features

Also

>anime image
>>
>>51475151
Im sorry youre so bad at 5e. Im not going to waste my time teaching you basic math and core game concepts so have fun with your shitty flawed view of the game balance
>>
>>51474962
A holy symbol matching your deity of choice if you choose one, or if you go with the concept of death, the symbol is a withered flower dangling opposite the head of an execution's axe incribed on a circular medallion.

Your undead minions make attacks with your spell attack modifier if it is better than their own attack modifiers, and they add your Wisdom to their damage.
>>
>>51475046
No appreciation for the Paranoia Agent reference?
>>
>>51475185
>magic item that makes out-of-control undead even more dangerous.
I laughed out loud. Thank you.
>>
>>51475180
>all damage charts show Paladins outclass fighters
>all damage charts show that PAM+GWM outclasses GWM
>you insist fighters and GWM are better
>other people are bad at math

lel
>>
>>51475207
>he still thinks im talking about GWM
>he doesnt know what the highest no-resources DPR build is

LMAO
>>
>>51475180
I can never take someone who doesn't use apostrophes seriously, regardless of the validity of any statement they might be trying to make.

But seriously, fighters are trash. They will always suffer from the same problem in every edition. The only way they compete in 5E is by breaking action economy, which is retarded and still doesn't make them T1.
>>
>>51474551
I'm new to dming
So I'll take any help I can get managing a player. I don't know how to deal with edgelords yet
He's a CN tiefling who never knew his family, only cares about power/wealth.
He's lvl 13 deal classing warlock/storm sorcerer, splits his character between Cg and CE based on a dice roll each day.
Spaghetti around women.
He's the only PC I have an issue w BC he complains all the time
His pact demon is lolth
>>
>>51474486
>Morgan
>Tip the scales
I am both lawling and wanting to play it as an FE fan myself.
>>
>>51475217
Archery fighter with sharpshooter and crossbow expert?
>>
>>51475217
>m-my build is the best because I'm taking into account the 6 "guaranteed" encounters per day
>your build is shit because it uses resources!

I've never seen anyone this mad about fighters since 3.5.
>>
>>51475230
>a handful of very specific min maxed builds do a tiny bit more average damage than fighter, so its TOTALLY TRASH
>>
>>51475051
A robe magically-lined with underdark soil that rubs off on the character's skin but never seems to diminish the integrity of the soil lining. When you cast an enchantment spell, you may choose one extra target for it. The robe is cursed, and you cannot gain from a rest above-ground unless you cover yourself in dirt for the duration.
>>
>>51475217
Oathbreaker Paladin with PAM+GWM.
>>
>>51475204
Yeah, that was my thought. I figured you wanted to be a walking disaster, so I amplified it.
>>
>>51475270
Were talking about the levels that regular people actually play in, which is 6ish
>>
>>51474551
A chaotic good human necromatic wizard who wishes to replace slave labor with undead labor and vows never to use undead for violent purposes.
>>
>>51475258
Considering that these builds have more options and versatility than a fighter while fulfilling the same role and purpose? Yes.

Why would I play "DPR without options" when I can play "DPR with options"? The rich roleplaying flavor available to me by a guy who is good at swinging a polearm?
>>
>>51474551
similar to >>51474956
Half-orc paladin of vengeance. Former highwayman, got brought off the path of evil by a kindly druid and cemented there when undead killed said druid. GWM and maul, a mace of Arawai
>>
ua where?
>>
>>51475296
>being this uncreative and bad at the game
>>
>>51475288
Regular people don't post on 4chan, or optimize their games.

Why do I care how they play their terrible dumpheaps that can't compete with the Moon Druid turning into an Ape?
>>
>>51475294
A magical foreman's hat. Each undead you create has as many skill proficiencies as you do.
>>
Is the MH conversion anon from yesterday here? I'd like to ask if he had any options for converting monsters into 5e rules or if I'm just blind as hell and missed it in his PDF of the rules conversion.
>>
>tfw you don't cast Fly on the fighter and he can't do anything because all the enemies are flying

D e v i l l i s h

>should have picked a class that contributes to the party
>>
I miss 4e barbarians

They weren't good, but all the different rages they had were fun as hell
>>
>>51475258
>>51475296
>>51475313

>not optimizing is good and optimizing is bad
>Paladins are less creative than Fighters

Are there more goalposts you'd like to move to shape your narrative that fighters aren't garbage today?
>>
>>51475328
why would someone play a melee fighter?
>>
T1
Bard, Wizard, Druid

T2
Paladin, Cleric

T3
Rogue, Warlock

T4
Everyone else
>>
>>51475347
>optimizing
I think the point is that a class that deals a pretty small percentage less damage isn't "garbage" by any metric. You're just being hyperbolic.
>>
>>51475313
4 maneuvers
2 rests = 12 d8 per day

At level 6 paladin has 4 1st level slot
=8d8
2 2nd level slot
=6d8

Fighters have action surge AND maneuvers have additional effects

Paladins are better than fighters beyond level 6 'cause of auras and better scale

At 11 fighters get competitive again

All this in combat
>>
File: HBTC.png (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
HBTC.png
144KB, 640x480px
>>51475364
Just like how Oathbreakers get stronger.
>>
>>51475373
yep, thats every single variable that could ever exist, thanks for completely giving a clear and concise explanation
>>
>>51475363
Druids have the worst spell list and WS is trash over level 6

Palas are T1 imo
>>
>>51475298
>a mace of Arawai
My nigga, love seeing Eberron stuff.

The maul is made from ironwood instead of steel, and it is magically-blessed by the druid's spirit. You can cast Thornwhip and Produce Flame at-will, using your Charisma as the casting ability score and adding 2d6 to the damage of those cantrips. When you use Find Steed, add brown bear and dire wolf to the list of available shapes the steed can take. Whatever shape you choose, the steed appears wearing ironwood plate barding, and it has maximum HP equal to your maximum HP if your HP is higher than its normal maximum.
>>
>>51475405
>he doesn't know about Elemental Wild Shape
>>
>>51475422
>Elemental Wild Shape
Shit
>>
Is there seriously not a warlock or sorcerer unearthed arcana yet? Fucking hell wizards, you release crap every week, what's taking so long to shit now?
>>
>>51474551
Yakuza half-orc fighter/warlock who has subjugated an oni demon to grant him power. Has a pompadour and a back tattoo.
>>
>>51475420
Pls respond
>>51475243
>>
>>51474551
Human Battlemaster. Once a soldier. and then a mercenary, he rose through the ranks until he was able to lead his own mercenary company. Unfortunately, tragedy struck in the form of a well planned enemy ambush, and he lost everything, spending months as a prisoner of war. Now free, he wanders the land in search of a greater purpose and even adventure, selling his services as a swordsman to the highest bidder.

True neutral, if it matters.
>>
>>51475328
>What are javelins?
>>
>>51475442
Why?

>>51475441
A magical comb that always glistens with a slick gel. Add your fighter level to your warlock level to determine the level and number of your pact magic slots. Add Cone of Cold to your patron spell list.
>>
>>51475478
Overpriced one-toss memes that don't take advantage of any of your feats or GWM.
>>
>>51475459
anon why would you play a fighter? They are low tier
>>
Is Divination Wizard only good if your DM allows Lucky and isn't a fag? It seems overly reliant on a good-natured DM letting you get away with bullshit.
>>
>>51474551
>>51474486
Androgynous-as-hell Half-Elf Wizard, using this school.

They're the closest thing that the party has to proper support, and is basically the soft-spoken brains of the group, and the second-most 'normal' of them after the Fighter. They'll be the one keeping the group organized and make sure they don't get fucked over too hard by apparently the hordes of avian or otherwise-flying creatures in the campaign so far.
Seemingly they're going to be the primary source of support in the group, aside from a tiny bit of healing from the Ranger.
>>
>>51475459
A magical (insert character's weapon of choice). If you do not already know Commander's Strike, you know Commander's Strike, and it no longer requires a bonus action to use. The recipients of your Commander's Strike critically hit on a 19 (18 if they already critically hit on a 19, 17 if they already critically hit on both, etc.)

When an ally within 60 ft. of you critically hits, you recover an expended superiority die and the use of your Second Wind.
>>
>>51475521
Divination is insanely good and a ton of fun. What part of it seems weak?
>>
>>51475522
>>51474551
Oh, and Neutral Good, if that's of any importance.
>>
i want to make a character that's a crossover between a bloodborne hunter, the tf2 medic and william hewson. basically a mad doctor dealing around blood and surgery but im not sure what class he should be. at first i was thinking a cleric, since i want him to be able to heal, but the whole god angle kinda ruins it (unless i fluff it 100% bloodborne, but that would be closer to warlock than anything) maybe rouge and just use the skill bonuses on medicine and tools? maybe the new alchemist UA?

any ideas?
>>
>>51475363
>2 spellslots + better firebolt
>not T4
>>
>>51475573
play a different system
>>
>>51474551
Hobgoblins in my DM's setting are LN, whose kingdom locked in a cold war with the High elves that threat to destroy the world with arcane nukes and such. They are very rational, pragmatic people. Their militaristic society is what keeps a lot of other magical threats at bay, and but also makes them socially distant from the perspective of other species.

I'm playing a Hobgoblin EK Fighter who is only an adventurer as he passes the time and writes his journal to eventually report to the leaders of his people of what goes on around the rest of the world.
>>
>>51475541
Seems to rely on your DM

- allowing Lucky
- denying creatures the right to use their autosave vs Portent
>>
>>51475521
I don't see how even a bad GM could fuck up divination, it's extremely RAW.
>>
File: Rex.jpg (79KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Rex.jpg
79KB, 640x640px
Dm here.
Had a random encounter where someone approached the party with a deck of 13
Female PC declares she will take 2 cards, as she is a very luck oriented character. Whims of fate etc.
Tiefling edgelords character CE steps in saying he wants to take cards 1st, because he deserves it more. Complains ooc until he gets to draw.
Pulls ruin card
Throws a shitfit and starts whining how it's not fair
I don't budge and refuse to give him any of his stuff back.
He seems generally disinterested and shits up everything else he can when he can, from flat out not attending sessions, to convincing other players to not attend.
And when he does attend sessions, he's always on his laptop, phone, looking at videos w his speakers on etc.
What do I do with him?
Also do large maces like this exist in DND?
What are they like?
>>
>>51475573
The healer feat works really well with the thief archetype if you go rogue.
>>
>>51475604
Lucky is dumb and OP, you dont need it

you can use portent on any roll the enemy makes, such as making their attack miss or make them fail a save, or if your portent is high,use it for an ally to make an attack hit (or auto crit) or pass an important save.

Their higher level feature are great too, divination magic is super useful and very fun.
>>
File: 1462361725949.jpg (241KB, 832x1367px) Image search: [Google]
1462361725949.jpg
241KB, 832x1367px
>>51475516
Because I enjoy playing a character armed only with his sword and wits in a world full of magic users.

Effectiveness be damned.

>>51475536
Neato
>>
File: Ruins of Berez concept art.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ruins of Berez concept art.png
1MB, 1280x800px
EN5IDERanon here with another update. We're up to 128 now.

Enjoy.

https://mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
>>
>>51475584
oh trust me, i want to, 5e got limited pretty fucking quickly, but im stuck in a group that refuses to play anything else (anything low fantasy is boring and limited, anything with more options is too complicated, anything that's more free is unbalanced... also, the group refuses to start new characters under level 6, because the low levels are boring)
but because i live in a fairly rural area with very limited access to any other possible groups so will i have to stick with these guys, and simply try to make fun characters that i enjoy playing
>>
>>51475624
grow a pair and kick him out
>>
>>51475624
You let him DM, because if you didn't have the balls to boot him when he started acting like a spoiled cunt, then clearly you don't deserve to be.
Get your fucking house in order, Anon.
>>
>>51475654
but anon fighter is LOW TIER! They do 5% less average damage per round! How can you live with yourself?!?
>>
>>51475522
Why do I feel like this is a DMPC to help a group of people who all wanted to be the damage-dealer?

An amulet that lets you cast Guidance and Resistance at-will. The range on both changes to 30 ft.
>>
>>51475656
I'm new around here. What are these? Supplements or something, from what I can google?
>>
>>51475678
>>51475624
My issue is he's someone that just was introduced to our friend group 6-7 months ago via my best friend, and he recently passed away at 21 due to heart failure.
So I'm not sure if I should give this guy another chance or not.
>>
>>51475604
Why would a DM ever allow portent to beat autosave?
>>
Had a player with 18 cha roll well with an intimidate check against a nothic.

He said he turned his eyes red and said to help us or die.

The nothic took his threat seriously - and since they had locked eyes, I had the warlock eat a rotting gaze.

My player thought this was unfair, intimidate means to scare them, bully them

They will be encountering a dragon soon. What is going to happen if a player rolls a nat20 and tries to intimidate the dragon?
>>
>>51475716
A source of decent quality professional homebrew by the guys who run enworld.
>>
>>51475679
Oh no!

That's practically unplayable!
>>
>>51475743
The dragon takes the character as a serious threat and deals with them accordingly, leaving the party to scrape up the remains.
>>
>>51475739
That's what he's saying.

The longer the game goes, the shittier portent becomes. It's strong at low levels when enemies don't have them, but after you start dealing with BBEGs, you're basically a meme.

Abjuration or Illusion are better imo.

Necromancy is also strong, but I know a lot of DMs that get pissy when you shit the game up with minions, whether that's from undead or summon creature etc.
>>
>>51475743
Intimidate (and persuasion) isn't mind controlled.
>>
>>51475719
You talk with him, either play hardball or try to befriend him. If nothing works, give him the boot. Try reaching some common ground, otherwise.
You don't owe it to your dead friend to keep this guy around just to make your players' experience worse.
>>
>>51475705
Nope, I'm part of the party! It sounds really helpful, though.
>>
>>51475719
you talk to him and ask what's the deal. Warn him that if he doesn't improve he is out. You can't force someone to play so that's what is best
>>
>>51475598
A magical (insert weapon of choice.) It is an heirloom handed down the generations to hobgoblin commanders that was lost in a battle 20+ years ago. Runes appear on the weapon that detail stories of the greatest battle of each holder of the weapon during his lifetime. The weapon seems to hold more stories in runes than would be physically impossible to inscribe on the blade all at once. You can cast Guidance at-will while holding the weapon. It grants 2 properties when you attune to it:

x = proficiency bonus for both of these.

Martial Advantage - 1/short rest - You can deal an extra xd6 damage to a creature you hit with a damaging weapon attack if the creature is within 5 ft. of an ally and that ally is not incapacitated.

Arcane Advantage - 1/short rest - You can deal an extra xd6 damage to a creature you hit with a damaging spell attack if the creature is within 5 ft. of an ally and that ally is not incapacitated.
>>
>>51475795
Ok! So I'm using intimidate correctly. If successful it creates a fight response in creature who are quite tough.
>>
>>51475787
> not creating simulucrums of yourself to out portent the BBEG's legendary resistance
>>
>>51475743
Nat 20s on skill checks are not "auto success", and they never have been.

Nat 20s have only been auto-hit for attacks. Skill checks have set DCs. Do you think 24 is enough to intimidate a dragon? What about 34?

Realistically, nothing short of a bigger dragon, a clearly established bigdick wizard, or a magical macguffin that fucks over dragons should be capable of intimidating a dragon. Bluff is generally a better option, ala "I have the macguffin", unless you actually DO have the macguffin, in which case, why are you intimidating? Just use it.
>>
UA only 02/02

Fuck
>>
>>51474411
>killing it
>not befriending it
>not having a teenage dragon as your bro
Return to 4e
>>
>>51475842
Anyone that gets the infinity Simulacrum up and running is probably the new BBEG at that point.
>>
File: IMG_0249.jpg (141KB, 640x446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0249.jpg
141KB, 640x446px
DM here looking for some advice on running a hard encounter

I'm running SKT, and I anticipate my players entering The Evermoors tonight. I wanted to have them encounter a Fire Giant Dreadnaught while looking for clues as to the recent troll attacks. My question is, how many trolls do I add to the encounter to challenge my players? I was thinking either 1 Dreadnaught and three trolls, or 1 Dreadnaught, 1 regular fire giant and one troll

The party composition is a beast mastery UA ranger, chainlock, land Druid, enchantment wizard, and banneret fighter with PAM and a giant slayer great sword, and Harshnag. Do I need to up the enemies? Add more? Fudge their health?

They haven't had a good, difficult combat encounter in a while and I want them to be scared of giants
>>
Firbolg barbarian wants to use his racial invisibility to disappear - walk out of combat with two guys then walk up to another guy farther away and attack without provoking attacks of opportunity

From what I understand - he must use the hide action, otherwisebthe bandits know where he is by sound, foot prints etc, with disadvantage?
>>
>>51475858
But he is evil!!1!11!!
>>
>>51475858
But green dragons are evil anon.
>>
>playing a monk
>90 maximum damage with flurry of blows
>average attack wave of like 35dmg
>highest health in party

is it broken?
>>
>>51475878
>5 man party with three casters

Two Dreadnaughts.

I'm not kidding. Remember, the party doesn't always have to win every fight they get into. It's okay to bloody their nose and make them realize they might actually have to RETREAT.
>>
>>51475885
>le evil maymay
"Evil" doesn't mean "kills babies and kicks kittens for fun". Most evil creatures have friends and you can be one of them.
>>
>>51475903
Monk is seriously shitty. He's supposed to be Stunning Striking things and running away. Also his healthy shouldn't be the highest unless you're in a weird caster party.

It's definitely not broken. Enjoy every god damn moment you have to shine. Monkbros don't normally get the spotlight. Shove your fist down everyone's throat and don't stop.
>>
>>51475912
If you say so anon

I'm trusting you on this one, I'll have two Dreadnaughts slapping around a troll, which scampers off when the fighting starts
>>
>>51475923
green dragons are cunts that don't make friends, and the "friends" they have are quickly stabbed in the back
>>
>>51475829
> Intimidation. When you attempt to influence someone through overt threats, hostile actions, and physical violence, the GM might ask you to make a Charisma (Intimidation) check. Examples include trying to pry information out of a prisoner, convincing street thugs to back down from a confrontation, or using the edge of a broken bottle to convince a sneering vizier to reconsider a decision.

Also you guys might be playing the game wrong.

The player state his intention. Like "I want to make the dragon back down from our party without fughting!".

Then you, as the DM ask the player to roll for the thing that you think is appropriate to make that situation happen.

If you player just called out "I want to roll for intimidation check", just tell him how the dragon is confused at his character suddenly rolling on the floor.
>>
>>51475939
If your players are retards/roll badly and lack the common sense to retreat and you're looking at a possibly TPK, you can always have the troll come back with a squad of trolls and start fighting the Dreadnaughts which will give your players either

A) The chance to escape
B) Somehow forge a retarded alliance with either the trolls, OR the dreadnaughts (it could happen but it really shouldn't)
C) Double down on their retardation and show you that they truly deserve death by pushing on their assault and attacking both parties

However, I actually expect your party to dogpile the first Dreadnaught and blow it the fuck out, and then get into a grittier prolonged battle with the second one that could go either way.
>>
>>51474369
Artist or sauce?
>>
>>51474759
A follow-up to the entanglement where she throws them across the room using it, or into another player.
>>
>>51475787
But you aren't going to be going up against creatures with legendary resistance every single encounter every single day. There's no rule that says you have to use your portents to fudge the enemies saving throw you know. Granted, it is probably the best use of them, but they are extremely versatile in offense and defensive use.
>>
>>51475945
You just have to be useful. If the green dragon knows you can get him results he'll avoid backstabbing you.
>>
>lmop green dragon

A dwarf barbarian in my party named geignun ended up climbing onto him and grappling his wing, forcing the dragon to lose control and smash the fuck out of several trees and rolled into a boulder, with the dwarf breaking several bones and losing an arm.

The dragon gets up, dazed, and notices the dwarf. Dwarf throws his hand axe and misses. Dragon pins him with claw and bites his head off. The party eventually finds the dead dwarf and follows the tracks and finishes the dragon
>>
>>51475825
This is pretty neat.
>>
>>51475947
He flavors it. He will go: I try to intimidate the dragon. He uses presdigitation to make his cloak move, his glow red (..devils sight..) and would say "leave this place, or we will be forced to exterminate you, like the vermin you are."
>>
>>51475878
>When players only have one long rest to get through a dungeon, so even if an encounter isn't necessarily difficult they'll get fucked over for every health point they lose and will eventually be reduced to the point where they'll even run away from dragons.
No need to put 5 giants against the players. No need to worry about this or that. As long as there is more dungeon, there is more the players have failed to access by not clearing each encounter without any blood spilled, and they can never complain about 'too hard/easy' unless an encounter is just dull.

But, yes, do as >>51475912
says.
>>
>>51474411
Literally grapple it. It only has +4 to escape against your martial characters having +5 comfortably, odds are in your favour that it can't escape and even if it does it can't dash.
Nets are also an extra layer option, since it will have to escape both the player, and the net.

It's best option at that point is to use multi-attack, Use claws to slash the net and then hope it can shove the player away.
>>
>>51476021
Eberron made me like hobgoblins, so I've had that legends of past commanders idea in my pocket for awhile.
>>
>>51475903
It'd be good to hear the stats and magical items and etc etc before we can know that.
We don't even know what level this is at. Could be 20 for all we know.

Sounds like a severe case of
>rolling for stats
In which case there is no 'broken', only 'the DM is an idiot'.
>>
>>51475982
>>51476053
Thanks for the advice. I'm sill getting used to DMing and it's hard to tell when an encounter would be hard or easy for them

I'm going to throw them through a short "tracking" encounter before they find the Giants in the swamps, then maybe on the way back to town they'll get ambushed by other swampy denizens too
>>
File: sai_2017-01-30_13-43-46.png (135KB, 646x693px) Image search: [Google]
sai_2017-01-30_13-43-46.png
135KB, 646x693px
>>51475934
that's what I thought, I"m playing a homebrewed brawler monk with +10 to hit and a max of five attacks per turn (using move action as attack action, extra attack action, attack action, and FOB for another two attacks as a bonus action) all of which are 2d6+7, for a base damage of 35 on bonuses alone, increased to 45 assuming all d6 roll 1s
works out over 52 rolls as an average of 69 damage

and the DM is fine with it

playing through mines of phandalin and to draw king grol out of his room and steal the map they were looking at, we had our party druid wildshape into a mouse and take the map:
>druid jumps on table, halting the negotiations at hand
>nibbles the map, and hops through a crack in the door and out into the hallway
>king grol immediately punches the door open, charging after it
>triggers my readied action, which is to fucking beat his shit it
>I do exactly that
>grab him by his head
>shove it into the wall and brace him with my foot
>drive my elbow into his chest, flattening him against the wall
>while pinning him, I rip his leg out of socket and grind him downwards against the wall and into the floor
>slam my upper body down flat on top of him as my rogue archer sidekick knocks three arrows and fires them at lightning fast speeds
>hurtling through the air enchanted with druidic flame magic, a lone agent of the black spider questions his allegiances and accepts his fate as three expertly placed arrows pierce his lungs and heart

/blog

>>51476090
5th level

no magic items
>>
>>51476125
What I said up here >>51476053
is something that doesn't tend to happen without a reason (There's an expansive area for them to explore and there's, say, a fee every time they try to come back after a rest or something), so it'd have to be something like a dungeon where there's a gatekeeper who demands money for going in. But it's a pretty good thing for if people aren't sufficiently challenged, because the challenge expands to meet their needs, essentially, and they're awarded the further they get.

Personally I dislike encounters where fighting has no chance of winning whatsoever, but as said by the other anon don't be afraid to throw something extra hard in and remind the players that they're not expected to 100% everything.
>>
>>51476050
>>51475795

Dragons are cocky, the thought of a mere human being stronger is a trivial thought, being called vermin would likely piss the dragon off.

Since it's green, I imagine that it would yield and fly away, only to stalk the party for a couple days and fly down while they are mid-combat or asleep camping and attack them at night, taking special mention to torture and mutilate the one that insulted him.

The Nat20 is resolved by the fact that the Dragon didn't think too much of the players pilfering from his hoard, after all it expected to reclaim it, and more once he ate them.
>>
>>51476161
>0
Wait, your character is completely incapacitated 24/7?
Does sound like slight luck on rolled stats, especially for health, but the real problem here is overpowered homebrew shit.

I mean, it'd be good if you could link what homebrew you're using and we can tell you if the homebrew is the broken shit.
>>
>>51474551
Goliath, Battle Master + Barbarian, He was once a soldier who had fought alongside his fellow infantry, he was exiled for fooling around with the leading officer's daughter, he wanders the world as a sellsword. Preferred weapon of choice Greataxe.
>>
>>51476161
There is no such thing as a move action silly.
>>
>>51475882
Bump
>>
>>51475719
>falling for the heart failure meme
just kick him out anon
>>
>>51476161
You've got all these attacks and abilities and you're playing Lost Mines?

Also I'm fairly sure you can't ready action "Beat someones shit in.", you can ready action to attack them once but that is it.

Combined your rogue is shooting three arrows does he have swift quiver or some fighter multiclass? Are you playing with a 16th level party or something?
>>
>>51476215
An incredibly heavy great axe made from adamantium. It always feels like a physical burden to character, even to a powerful goliath, though it has no effect on carrying capacity. It's sentient, and it constantly nags you about everything you do wrong. It has the same properties as a dancing sword, though it complains to you incessantly about doing your job for you when you call on it to fight independently.

It critically hits on a 19 or 20, and this extends to 18-20 when you use Reckless Attack. When you critically hit, you recover an expended superiority die. The weapon gloats about how it knew exactly what to do when this effect occurs.

It's called the Mother in Law
>>
I find myself having difficulty paying attention during our sessions and it's starting to make me feel like That Guy. It's all in Roll20 so having other tabs open I just do bullshit until it's Fighting time or Roleplaying time. I've outright zoned out or read random crap when others are doing their shit. And to top it all off I'm trying my best but keep falling off the wagon.

Am I just That Guy or is there something else going on? I have legit ADHD but that feels pretty hollow.
>>
>>51476161
Sounds like your not playing D&D but instead some freeform roleplay wank. You can do nothing of the sort in anything that you described as a 5th level party, also keep in mind you're in a 3rd level area at best. I assume the 0 Charisma and 2 Wisdom are typos because otherwise your character is comatose with the awareness of a dead cat. Additionally 20 Strength is impossible at 5th level so I can only imagine you're rolling for stats which invalidates any real considreation for taking your character and experiences seriously.
>>
>>51476337
Pay attention to the parts your character is involved in. Make sure to throw some character interaction from time to time even if it is a bit hollow.

Party are chatting to the Lady-Cleric knights about the new quest and you don't have anything to add because you're a fighter?

Go chat to the nearby guard a little bit, show off your scars and ask if he has any cool ones. Or even put something like "X does this for a bit while the party discuss matters." so if you do miss something in the walls of text you can say "I was off talking to the pretty knight lady, what did I miss?"
>>
I'm making magic items for my party, what would be a fun weapon (or general item) for a melee theif rogue that's not just something like a +1 shortsword?
>>
>>51476454
I gave ring of jumping to my fighter and pearl of power to my warlock to let him out of combat cast more
>>
>>51476454
Ask this guy, he's got good shit
>>51475294
>>
>>51476481
Meant to link
>>51474551
>>
My party is going to reach the end of the Death House next session, which poses a question: how do you run pursuits in 5e to make them not-terrible? By-the-book, you're supposed to roll Initiative and do it turn by turn. Which sounds tedious and terrible.
>>
>>51474551
A barely-sane human GoO Warlock who serves her patron "The Allseer", a powerful beholder in the underdark who fills her thoughts with whispers and visions to his own ends. Her Eldrich Blasts are represented by magical eyes appearing around her shooting beams of energy. She is motherly to her allies supporting them with magic and claiming that the Allseer knows best, and that she will see them through tough times.

Following a vision one night, she carved one of her own eyes out with a crooked knife and through it summoned an fragment of the Allseer himself, a Gazer in his likeness bound to her as a companion familiar, as was forseen.
>>
>>51476454
>thief rogue
You've answered it yourself, almost.
It's something that usually takes an action to use.

Which leads onto the question, what would be a good item that takes an action to use?'

I'd suggest something that feels very indiana-jonesy, too. Like a one-handed grapple gun that usually takes an action to aim and fire after it's loaded (load before combat or something) and can reel the user in.
>>
>>51476454
>>51474551
This guy here. Tell me about your thief player.
>>
I'll have a puzzle in a mini-dungeon. Essentially for the party to enter it, they have to drink from the fountain in the first chamber, or a magic invisible barrier won't let them pass. How can I hint that they have to drink it?, considering this dungeon is actually an entryway for Slaads into the material plane, so they have no reason to leave a message, and the liquid in the fountain is actually chaosstuff.
>>
>>51476454
Not thatguy, but the item I gave our rogue was a +1 Shortsword with an additional ability, once per long rest when hitting with this weapon, the wielder may expend the use of this item to deal extra 2d6 piercing damage to the target. The target must also pass a DC13 constitution saving throw or be stunned for one round.
>>
>>51474551
Aasimar, Arcane Order Magus, He lost his Warlock Mother and Paladin Father when he was very young in a barbaric Tiefling raid. All he has left to remember his parents by was sentient longsword they crafted who only wants to keep him safe. He travels the world in search for the tiefling's who hurt him and his family.
>Magus
It's pretty much a paladin with arcane spells instead of divine if you have played Pathfinder it has a similar feature to their Arcane Pool feature its called Mystic Mark it provides buffs to non-magic armor and weapons equipped by allies or yourself. They are half-casters with their main source of damage coming from cantrips and War Magic.
>>
Can y'all evaluate this idea I had regarding traps?

Basically I'm going to give all the traps I made a Stealth modifier based on how well hidden it is, then make an opposed roll vs. the party's passive Perception when they reach the trap in question. If they're keyed in on a feature of the trap (like if they mention specifically they're dialed in on the statues in a room, and the trap is in a statue), the trap gets Disadvantage on the stealth roll.

Basically I'm sick of the party describing how they're carefully inspecting every room for traps (they all insist on rolling Perception every goddamn time), so this feels like a good way to abstract all that and save some rolls without tying it entirely to PP (which basically determines whether they spot the trap when I'm creating the adventure since I know all their PPs by heart at this point).

The kicker is, I barely use traps, and when I do I usually telegraph it. I don't know why they think everything is the Tomb of Horrors.
>>
>>51476550
havea small creature, a lizard perhaps, take a drink from the fountain and scurry off in the distance towards the barrier?
>>
>>51476532
They like to be sneaky, character likes to steal things. Is the lock-picker of the party.
>>
>>51476550

Tell them the water in the fountain has the color and consistency of Mountain Dew.

One will absolutely drink it as a joke.
>>
>>51474551
Wood elf Moondruid, basically a manchild. Grew up in a restricted druid order, his father the archdruid, ran away into adventure when still 18 years old. Very lighthearted and naive, but still quite powerful.
>>
>>51474551
Kenku Cleric of the Forge that worships Moradin, Lawful Good.
>>
>>51476500
The Allseer makes you grow a new eye in place of the old one. The new eye is a featureless golden-yellow orb that makes others feel secure when they lock eyes with her, in spite of the unhealing wounds around the eye socket. You can cast Detect Thoughts (Charisma modifier) times per day without expending a spell slot or using any components by looking at someone in the eyes. (No one can look and tell you've casted the spell.)

The gazer has Magic Initiate: warlock, and it can use your spell attack modifier and spell save DC for those spells. (A familiar can't use the Attack action normally but there's no restriction on Cast A Spell.)
>>
Is dual wielding worth it? I wanna make a zerker
>>
>>51476573
>Magus
Nope, sorry.

>>51476603
A bracelet with many ornately-decorated keys hanging from it. The keys can all enlarge to become parts of a thieves' tools kit, and they grant advantage on thieves' tools checks. One of the keys is sharp and can enlarge to the size of a dagger as a free action. That key can be wielded as a magical dagger. When the thief sneak attacks with the dagger, all rolls of 1 become 2.
>>
File: barbarianoptionslevel5.png (56KB, 707x594px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianoptionslevel5.png
56KB, 707x594px
>>51476640
If you're trying to use dual wielding on a berzerker, kill yourself.
If you're trying to use dual wielding on a barbarian, it's brilliant up until level 5.
Beyond level 5, it's just barely worse and also bonus action consuming compared to just using a maul without a feat.

The best dual-wielding barbarian is a barbarian-rogue that focuses on strength and grappling using shortswords. Compared to a rapier+shield dexterity focused barbarogue, their AC is a load shitter but they do more damage and can easily drop a weapon to grapple and continue to do damage while grappling.
>>
>>51474551
>>51476628
Probably should have included actual backstory. He was taken as an apprentice by a dwarven smith due to his knack for forgery. He learned to smith pretty well but due to the Kenku curse he could only make replicas. He took up worshiping Moradin from his master and prayed for a way to break the curse. His devotion to the craft lead to him receiving some power from Moradin and he set out to find a cure.
>>
>>51476617
You have a magical tattoo on each hip. The tattoos also appear on your wildshape forms and cause them to have pastel-colored fur. The tattoo adds Friends as a bonus cantrip to your known cantrips.

Your wildshape forms gain the Pack Tactics feature, but they have disadvantage to Stealth checks.
>>
>>51474551
Kobold Lore Bard with hot pink scales. Freed from slavery and became a tenured professor of history.
>>
>>51476681
>PAM/GWM shitting on everything per usual

PAM was a mistake.
>>
>>51474551
This will be interesting.

Rick "The 5'o'Clocker" Gashgil, Half-Orc Barbarian, Berserker type.
>>
File: 1484595559716.jpg (26KB, 500x441px) Image search: [Google]
1484595559716.jpg
26KB, 500x441px
>Ever giving thief rogues anything that doesn't synergize with their 'use an object as a bonus action' ability unless they have far too many of that already.

Well I guess they could just chug potions all day as a bonus action and get potion poisoning instead.
>>
>>51476702
A holy symbol made of pyrite engraved with an anvil topped by a flame. The symbol magically attaches itself to a bludgeoning weapon, causing the weapon to take on the shape of a smith's hammer without changing it's functionality.

You gain Minor Illusion and Dancing Lights as bonus cantrips. When you use Blessing of the Forge, you may replicate the chosen effect one time within 1 minute on another target. When you cast Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon, you may choose another weapon within 30 ft. to be affected.
>>
>>51476751
RAW, Fast Hands doesn't work with magic items.
>>
>>51476726
How does a kobold slave know anything about history?
>>
>>51474551
Sweet. Human Warlock of the Fiend, Pact of the tome, has a book that tells him all sorts of forbidden knowledge, at the cost that when he dies his soul becomes part of the book, and adds to it's knowledge. His quest is to ascend to demonhood to become immortal and use the loophole of death to escape his fate.
>>
>>51476812
There was a long period between the freeing and the education.
>>
Give me some parameters for a dungeon and I'll write one up and post it here when I'm done. Be as specific or as general as you like.
>>
>>51476726
A magical suede blazer with elbow patches. It allows you to cast Mage Armor with your spells slots as if you knew the spell, and you can cast Guidance at-will while wearing the blazer. You make Intelligence and Deception checks with advantage.
>>
What's the deal with Mike Mearls? Is he gay and Jewish? He has a rainbow dnd twitter avatar and those /pol/ parenthesis around his name or is just he a cheeky ironic cunt?
>>
>>51476835
Everything is a mimic, and everyone is a doppelganger. The party are turned into changelings upon entry.
>>
>>51476835
A murderhobo meth lab.
>>
>>51476835
The key to enter is acquired by one party member wearing a ring. This ring cuts off the finger it's worn on, and replaces the finger with a fully functioning black crystalline structure.
>>
>>51476802
Doesn't mean you can't have a non-magical item.

Thieves are the best mad scientists. Well, no, alchemists are.
>>
>>51476743
>This will be interesting.
>no description

>>51476819
The magical tome allows the owner to summon a fiend as a bonus action once per day. The fiend obeys your commands for 1 minute, though it often obeys your commands to the letter and not to their spirit. After 1 minute passes, you make a contested Charisma check with the fiend. If you win the check, the fiend is banished to its home. If you fail, the fiend goes free. In either case, the fiend resents you for compelling its service.
>>
>>51476860
He's a virtue-signaler. He thinks if he tells everyone how double-plus-good he is, that it will increase D&D's market share or something.
>>
>>51476860
Just a virtue signalling fuck. Non gays and non jews decided to show solidarity through their rainbows and paranthesis use.
>>
>players want to play high fantasy campaigns (basically official material)
>I want to run gritty sword & sorcery campaigns where combat is a last resort

What the fuck do I do? I don't have time for more sessions and I can feel my players grit their teeth as I narrate anything that is outside their scope of "happy-go-lucky gleaming fantasy where no one ever gets maimed or turned into a horribly mutated beast".
>>
>>51476892
Forgot to add the fiend has a CR restriction equal to your level or lower.
>>
File: Dallas I'm dying.png (446KB, 893x1097px) Image search: [Google]
Dallas I'm dying.png
446KB, 893x1097px
>>51476835
Underground laboratory where mad cultists were brewing some dangerous shit.
PCs will have the option of brewing it themselves after clearing it out and make mad profits, but if they do so, authorities will take notice and come down on them hard.
PCs will have limited amount of time to brew as much of the shit as they can before the place blows up with bodies of knights, guards, and recruited mercenaries.
>>
>>51476860
>Is he gay?
No, but Crawford is
>>
>>51474486
No. Just No.
The base idea is fine and interesting, but the whole package is op. "Hey, you know that I can use spells as opportunity attacks? Two times! And then we fuck around for half an hour and I can do it again! And btw, you need advantage? Dont worry, I just fireblast someones ass and then as a bonus action give you advantage!"
No. Try again, but this time perhaps with less "I wanna be that guy in real life!!!"
>>
>>51476956
If that's true, it's funny that Crawford acts less like a faggot.
>>
>dnd Sat night
>guy wants to play again the next day
>let everyone vote
>sounds gud
>same guy at 6 am: I can't come
>everyone is fine for then next day
>can't come again sorry
>>
>>51476662
>Nope, sorry
Ah well, worth a shot... let's try another.

>>51474551
Water Genasi, Gunslinger, Fighter. She was a part of a fairly wealthy family of embasadors and hated the constant studieous lifestyle she was forced into, she desprately wanted a world of adventure, mystery, and gambling so she ran away with only her handmade pistol and bullets. She eventually ran into a group of Dwarfs who took her in and treated her like the adventurer she was hoping she would be. Until one day they were attacked by a dragon, the Dwarfs protected her with their lives and made her flee she has been a wanderer ever since.

>Gunslinger
A Dex + Wis based fighter class with a limited resource pool of Grit that can be spent to enhance accuracy, provide debuffs, and increase damage.
>>
Is Lucky a good feat?
>>
>>51474551
A desert tribe female ranger with a bear companion named "Pixie". Archer. Doesnt know many people beside her own tribe so she always tries to imitate the behaviour of the most charismatic person in the group.
>>
>>51477015
Stop making up shitty classes.
>>
>>51476860
He's mocking /pol/ for their retardation
>>
>>51477026
If you wanna annoy your DM play wizard, take lucky feat and divination school. He will hate you, but its worth it. Short: Yes, its a solid feat if you can get it, but depending in your class there are more important feats.
>>
>>51477049
Is lucky feat worthy staying with only 16 int (15 if halfling)?
>>
File: (judgemental stare).jpg (56KB, 517x572px) Image search: [Google]
(judgemental stare).jpg
56KB, 517x572px
>>51474486
Garbage.

Try again.
>>
>>51477027
Character hook: "I'm helping! I'm helping! I'm helping YOOOUUUU!"

Mithril plate barding for the bear. The barding increases the bear's speed by 10 ft. and allows it to use a bonus action to dash or disengage.

For the ranger herself, a ring engraved with a cactus flower made from obsidian. The ring allows the user to cast Guidance, Prestidigitation, and Shocking Grasp at-will using Wisdom for the casting ability score modifier. The damage of Shocking Grasp changes to fire during the day and cold during the night. The user gains an additional 1st level spell slot and gains Healing Word as a bonus spell known.
>>
>>51477086
Depends how often you have long rests.
>>
>>51477086
Depends. I guess you are just starting the character? What class and so on? Or will 16 int be final and cant be raised anymore? Personally, I dont really like cutting my attributes too short for feats, but some DM's are very generous and give you some chances to power up your stats later on.
>>
>>51475179
Mastermind is trash, though. Literally everything is better than it.

But yeah, reaction casting twice a short rest is on the level of almost being two action surges. Almost.
>>
Making a staff based around dark magic and the night. So far I've got
>Animate Dead
>Bestow Curse
>Chill Touch
>Create Undead
>Darkness
>Finger of Death
>Inflict Wounds
>Vampiric Touch
Any I missed?
>>
>>51477026
It's a great feat, and effective use of it could negate crit successes against you and crit failures with you. It's so strong, I'm sure it can carry a game. It's so strong, people including myself, think it's too strong.

With over ten games reaching beyond fourth level I have not seen anybody take the lucky feat. I don't know why but there has just been this unspoken agreement that people don't select that feat cause it's that good.

And if you go Lucky/Divination like >>51477049 mentions I will slap you and tell you to make another. It's more than annoying, you can't just throw harder monsters cause eventually they will hit and when they do they will just demolish the party no matter the misses.
>>
>>51477028
gunslinger is a pretty well established homebrew desu senpai.
>>
>>51477114
Thanks. Those are great items! I always struggle with creating interesting items...
>>
>>51477193
Blindness/Deafness
>>
UA when?
>>
>>51477195
When someone takes divination and lucky you just know that he will be 'that guy'
>>
>>51477193
Hunger of Hadar possibly
>>
>>51477221
Next week, shitbrains.
>>
>>51474551
Runt-of-the-litter catfolk bard that tries to be charismatic but just ends up coming off cold and angry. Flubs every stealth check, still hasn't found an instrument since she lost all her stuff to slavers, but she's handy with a shortsword.
>>
>>51477049
Like >>51477195 says, don't fucking make that character. It's super fucking annoying for the DM, and all the other players roll their eyes and drum their fingers while you decide on EVERY SINGLE ROLL where you miss or the enemy would hit whether to use a point. If one of my players shows up with that gimmicky trash I will legitimately tear the sheet in half and tell them to come back next week with a better character
>>
>>51477212
Right, forgot that one. Also was considering Darkvision.

>>51477244
Was thinking about it.

>>51477243
I actually have a player who dipped divination and took lucky. He's not That Guy, in fact he's a great player. He's just a hardcore optimizer.
>>
>>51475179
>>51476961
I'd like to take the time to respond to the critiques you've given, since as I said most of my review committee are my most likely biased gaming group. Obviously, responding with the intent to explain my reasoning and see if it is flawed or not in comparison with other traditions and the Mastermind rogue.

>Art of War
Using Bladesinger as a semi-base for how non-traditional schools work, I gave them proficiency in one one-handed weapon and in the Perception skill. To compare, Bladesingers get light armor as an extra in comparison and so I felt by lacking that option here I could place a bit more of a permanent power in the other 2nd level feature.

>Tactician
Help range being 30 comes earlier than Mastermind, but doesn't allow you to use it as a bonus action. The initiative bonus scaling with Intelligence puts more of a emphasis on not using Int as a dump stat, fairly self explanatory. The last part of the ability is somewhat strong, but requires a setup and is somewhat limited in scope unless you know for sure you're going into a battle. Compared to what Bladesingers get at this level, I felt this 2nd level feature was appropriate.

>Tactical Advantage
This is not much different than the Mastermind's 3rd level except that it comes 3 levels later, since you can achieve the same thing by picking up Magic Initiate and not have the restriction of having to cast a cantrip to use it(for Masterminds).

Continuing in the next post.
>>
UA where?
Mystic when?
>>
Anons? Would it be possible to convert the Blazing Bones spell (I think that's what it was called) to 5e, or would it be overpowered? It was basically an Animate Dead spell where the resultant zombie/skeleton was on fire, so it did bonus fire damage with its slam attacks and it lost about D3 hit points each round due to being on fire, ultimately burning away into nothingness.
>>
>>51477301
>>51475179
>>51476961
>Bookwork
Just a fun little roleplay ribbon I added on, nothing more or less.

>Tip The Scales
Requiring a enemy to hit your friends and then using a reaction to cast your spell I felt was a suitable 10th level feature. I was unsure if twice per short was too strong or not, so that is something I'm willing to admit may or may not be powerful. I'm open to suggestions on this.

>Strategem
Was previously the 10th level feature, requires you to either get in melee or to use a cantrip on a target, which in turn allows a single ally to use their reaction to make an opportunity attack. Strong, but not too terrible compared to giving yourself permanent spell resistance or being able to halve damage as a reaction.

These were my thoughts on the features and my reasoning/justification. Obviously I'm interested in trying to make this more balanced and usable, which is why I posted my homebrew here so I can get open and honest opinions.
>>
>>51477261
An enchanted Kazoo.

The enchantment is no matter what tune she plays no one finds it unusual or out of place, so it can be used to mask her approach since guards won't hear you coming over the sound of strange buzzing music in the middle of the night which is entirely unsuspicious.

The joke is that a Kazoo is technically not an instrument, but a voice modulator.
>>
>>51477255
Didn't it get delayed last week too?
>>
>>51477261
A magic wand that allows you to cast Dancing Lights at-will. It can also focus the light it increases into a small red dot that forces any feline or feline-like creature that can see it to make a Charisma saving throw equal to your spell DC or be charmed. Creatures charmed by this effect must move closer to the dot each turn if possible.
>>
>>51477183
Mastermind is fine in campaigns with any amount of social stuff
>>
>>51477315
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Skyo6fTPe
>>
>>51477323
First, and perhaps most important step, is to change tip the scales. Make it twice per long rest, and as long as you dont have a group who starts their 8 hour rest after every single encounter thats a step in the very right direction.
>>
>>51477379
Is twice per long rest too few? Not that I'm disagreeing but me and my group generally fight 4 to 5 tough battles before a long rest. Should it definitely be twice, or three times?
>>
>>51477429
Not that guy, but make it once per short rest if twice per long rest is too few for you.
>>
>>51477429
It SHOULD be too few. If you have enough uses for all your encounters then that makes the limitation meaningless. Its something that should be used in critical moments, cause a great spell-opportunity attack at range can, well, tip the scales.
>>
>>51477441
>>51477460
To use the other anons suggestion, would once per short rest be a suitable equivalent?
>>
>>51477350
The social benefits are extremely niche if I remember right, and it's only really just fluff.

While help as a bonus action isn't bad, there're many 'Lol familiars should be able to fly around and grant advantage to everyone' people who kind of make it feel you might as well go AT and get a familiar instead, then get the magic hand of self-granting advantage, booming blade and all those spells that could be used out of combat.
And those faggots who seem to think it's okay to let an AT use their bonus action to do all the things thief can do with their bonus action.
>>
Anyone have tips on playing a good pali without being too bland?
I want to give the character a quirk that will fuck with everyone just as much as looting teeth of kills and fallen allies with my barbarian
>>
>>51477474
I guess it depends on what you like. Yes, it is also a way to balance it, but, and thats my taste, I enjoy ressources like this power more if I have to use them with more thought. Like a real tactician, deciding the right moment, the right spell at the right time. If you limit it less, imho, it lessens the impact of this ability. But this suggestion wouldnt be imbalanced, so yeah, at this point its just all about personal taste.
>>
File: 2ke14dH.jpg (300KB, 900x1371px) Image search: [Google]
2ke14dH.jpg
300KB, 900x1371px
What spells, if any, give temporary bonuses to Charisma?
>>
>>51477500
>to add to this:
I need a general idea of how to play the character as well. The one we currently have is a tanky motherfucker who is very lax on his overall setup
>>
>>51477500
Let him try to capture evil guys alive, even unimportant ones like a few goblins, and give them a long winded speech why their way of life is wrong.
>>
>>51474486
Hey, look, it's like a mini version of my attempt at the Warlord I made two years ago when I had no idea how to balance 5e.
>>
>>51477538
THIS
H
I
S
I'm playing a pally right now whose core tenant is mercy.
>my party's face when we capture the undead psychopath alive and turn him into the authorities
>>
>>51477524
Enhance Ability gives advantage to Charisma checks. Glibness makes it impossible to roll under 15.
>>
>>51477524
Enhance ability gives advantage to charisma checks.
Friends gives advantage to charisma checks.
Sorcerer gets double proficiency with dragons.
Rogue gets double proficiency if they take expertise.
Bard gets double proficiency if they take expertise.
Glibness for lying.
>>
Why don't I ever see you guys talk about Monks in these threads?

Does their damage drop off so much later on? Obviously Quivering Palm is nasty but that's a level 17 pipedream.
>>
File: Orlais.jpg (38KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
Orlais.jpg
38KB, 564x564px
>>51474551
Neutral Good Tiefling Bard who uses bulky clothing and a facemask to hide that she's a tiefling. Obssesed with myth/legend/folklore, and recites epic poetry and old myths instead of playing an instrument.

Pic Related
>>
>>51477566
>>51477569
I was more thinking for Charisma modifier boosts vis a vis warlock spells. I'm new to 5e, I'm not sure what there is in the way of actual buffs for combat.
>>
>>51477514
While I agree, having to think out whether to use your ability or not does fit the tactician style of thinking, that in a lot of games Long Rests from experience are not common in the slightest. I've gone multiple sessions without ever having a long rest, only having a few short rests here and there. It probably boils down to the GM running the game, short rests would be better overall in the event your GM is a stickler, but long rests fit thematically.

>>51477555
You too.
>>
>>51477538
>>51477561
Alright. I've also given an idea of not to strike first, is this a good idea?
>>
>>51477580
A magical facemask that acts as a Hat of Disguise. You can shift the facemask between two designs as a bonus action. One is very pleasant to behold and grants you advantage to Persuasion checks. The other depicts a fearsome devil and gives advantage to Intimidation checks.

>>51477585
5e doesn't like to let you add numerical bonuses via spells very often. What you want doesn't exist.
>>
>>51477600
I agree with you. In my group, we have quite a few long rests, because we focus less on dungeons and more on interacting with NPC's and traveling, so long rests are very common. Multiple per session, because time moves a bit faster when you focus on town-rp stuff and not on combat. It sounds like in your group the short-rest-solution is the one that makes more sense.
>>
>>51477573
They're not good at anything but Stunning Strike.

>less DPS than Pally/Fighter/Barb
>one lockdown ability compared to casters
>no party buffing
>subpar HP pool
>awkward RP flavor for interacting with a high fantasy setting

Just a terribly thought out class.
>>
>>51477573
They're all right, they can stunlock better than anyone else, but they die really quickly. They need to get into melee (except maybe for laser monks,) they can't survive being in melee, and they can't get out of melee without spending ki. They beat the rogue in the category of "class most likely to die first."
>>
>>51477647
>but they die really quickly
at low levls
>>
>>51477605
Normally that works just fine, as long as you dont start at the top of the initiative order too often. And even then, you can do other useful things that isnt an attack action. Afaik there is even a Monk subclass found in an older Unearthed Arcana that focuses on pacifism and can still deal out huge amount of damage, so it works.
>>
>>51477631
For now, I'll go with the long rest solution to test it in gameplay. If I feel like it is too little, I may or may not revert to once per short rest.

Were there any other glaring problems with the homebrew?
>>
Anons? I'm an aspiring homebrewer who could really use some critique on their work. Anyone interested in commenting on my stuff? I keep having trouble both with making the results balanced and with making it fluffy, so input and ideas would be really appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>51477637
Yes.. I have disliked monks since 3.5e just because I always thought they stick out like a sore thumb. Always had the feeling they are walking-talking immersion breaker, cause I always see a shaolin guy, even if the player assures me that he isnt.
>>
>How should I name this?

Wondrous item, rare

This set of silver ewer and bowl are covered in runes, some arcane, some divine, some unrecognizable.
If you heat up the ewer for 1 minute and pour from it into the bowl, a fuming gas flows between both vessels. Afterwards, you can do one of the following

• Cast Augury as an action. The omens comes as shapes in the gas.
• Pour the gas on the mouth of a corpse and cast Speak With Dead on it. You can only make one question.
• Cast Contact Other Plane as an action. The bowl as a medium enhances the spell, so its duration is increased to 5 minutes and you can ask up to 7 questions. However, you must make an Intelligence saving throw before each question. The initial DC is 19 and it raises by 1 after each question.

If you do neither, the gas evaporates after 1 minute. After using this set to cast either speak with dead or contact other plane, you can't cast it again until at least 24 hours have passed.
>>
>>51477661
No, in general.
>>
>>51477637
I disagree. Monk was one of the original classes and is interesting to play in a fantasy setting. For RP purposes, it's always been one of my favorites.

Also, couldn't you just try to stack AC and rely on Evasion to survive against casters? Is it really that bad?

Isn't that a homebrew Archetype or something that would give them a bit of a damage buff? I wonder if I could work with my DM on something.
>>
>>51477704
>litearlly can't hit them
>lmao proficient in all saves
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51477698
It's bizarre because everyone's flavor is generic and then you have monks with 'ki', so fucking weeby and it sticks out.
>>
Is Abjuration Wizard fun?
>>
>>51477698
>>51477728
>I swear this line of discussion isn't tired
>also no one ever traveled from one cultural area to another
>>
>>51474411
On a side note
Did someone make this dragon comeback later in the campaign to beat the ass of the party?
DM experience?
>>
>>51477671
Thank you!
Also since this is 5e
are there any gods you would recommend for a first time pali?
>>
>>51477676
I don't see any huge problems with it. I think it's a bit weird that he gains proficiency in a weapon of his choice, because the rest of his abilities feel more like a guy who stays a bit behind the lines. Thats the kind of ability you put in a homebrew if the creator has some kind of specific weapon in mind, like you really want to let him use a longsword or something like this. But thats less a balancing problem I guess, because proficiency in a one-handed melee weapon isnt a huge deal I guess.
>>
>>51477728
>so fucking weeby and it sticks out
Considering the Monk class was inspired by the old Kung Fu television show, I'd say it predates animu weebness by a significant margin.

Also, Grandmaster Kane was cool as fuck 2bh.
>>
>>51477775
>uses ki and Japanese weapons
>no it's clearly Chinese
>>
>>51477628
Any suggestions you might have for this? >>51477700
>>
>>51477698
They do stick out. Now hand me that lazer gun we have a yeti to kill.
>>
So, since I apparently can't read and still find surprises in the PHB, is there a listing of all the things that get restored/done during specifically a short rest?

I know you get back the following:
-HP from hit dice
-Warlock spell slots
-Paladin & Cleric's Channel Divinity
-Some wizard spell slots
>>
>>51477711

>stack AC

This is difficult because magic items that raise AC are supposed to be very rare in 5e. The combat math expects that you won't have them until 5th level. And of course, Monks don't wear armor.
>>
>>51474551
If you want more specific criticism:
>Art of War
Why Perception and not, say, Insight or History? It just seems like you wanted to tack on Perception for the sake of having it.
>Tactician
You could stop with the very first point and it would be good, because it's a Help action not restricted to attacking like the Mastermind's is.
Giving INT to initiative makes it pretty damned strong.
Why in the blazes do you think giving a RAW unlimited number of companions your INT initiative boost and immunity to surprise is fair?
>Bookworm
Actually a good feature, though if I had someone pair this with Keen Mind I would revoke it.
>Tip the Scales
Are you kidding me? It's a mid-round interrupt.
You should get it maybe once a short rest at best.
>Strategem
I think this needs to be re-worded to be in line with Commander's Strike, which is pretty much what it is.
>>
>>51477801
Bowl of Prescience.
>>
>>51477728

Ki is extremely generic.

The monk in my game uses his "inner fire". Basically Hulks Up and drops elbows on people.
>>
>>51477711
Pallies can have 21 AC easily and monsters are expected to hit them.

Also magic missile gives no fuck.

Monks will get hit and explode into gloop.
>>
>>51477585
I thought you mean that but I couldn't be 100% sure

Now that I'm 100% sure, we can all agree (including you) that you have no fucking clue what you're asking, but then again you wouldn't ask if you did.

As the other person said, there is nothing by RAW that will increase your stats other than ASIs, magic items and magic items are the DM's domain anyway. Also lycanthropy maybe but that's DM's domain.

Don't expect to get to change your ability scores at all temporarily through magic or abilities or whatever.
>>
>>51477771
Assuming you are playing Forgotten Realms, which is the standard setting since 5e, Ilmater is a good choice. He is the god of martyrdom and endurance and suffers so others dont have to suffer. Then there is the god Torm, who is basically as much Paladin as you can get: Duty, Loyality and Justice in the name of Good!
I guess those two are both solid choices.
>>
Unearthed arcana when?
>>
>>51477801
I don't really name the items I post here often because I pull names from campaign elements and sometimes just ask my players to name their items.
>>
>>51477834
A random Japanese word is not generic.
>>
>>51477796
>uses ki and Japanese weapons
>not using a jo stick
Maybe Monk has gotten WEEB'd but it definitely used to have more eastern orthodox/chinese roots.
>>
>>51475945
Maybe Green Dragons just need to experience the power of friendship (tm)
>>
File: iron horde emblem.png (33KB, 244x279px) Image search: [Google]
iron horde emblem.png
33KB, 244x279px
How does this look for some backstory, I wrote this a bit back, improved since.

Gadriel, born into the most prosperous nation of a cluster of human nations (Think pre-germany prussia), grew up fiercely nationalist and idealistic, thinking all the problems in the world can be solved if all human nations were united under their banner. When his king called upon the army to war, he enrolled immediately and sought to fight for his kingdom.

Having been put through a gruelling bootcamp in a matter of weeks, he came out with more conviction, completely believed of the fact that now that he had training, he could help fight for his country, which put more fervour in his heart.

During the first battle of his career, his position was being overran by the enemies superior artillery, the only thing the tiny nation had to hold a candle to his much larger one. His brothers in arms lying dead and his commander dying, he made an Oath to himself, that he would not stop fighting until the enemy lay broken beneath his boots, so strong was his conviction to his country, it became truth, and he became a Knight Tyrant.

Shrugging off his fear, he marched towards the enemy lines, and began to kill, his strikes sewing fear among the enemy soldiers, who soon, abandoning their artillery positions, were routed by his kingdom's forces. The rest of the army, having seen this awe-inspiring display of pure reckless bravery, were inspired, and he was promoted.

Subjugating the rest of the human nations over a period unprecedented by ordinary military timeframes, it was only 5 years before all of the human nations were united under his kingdom, throwing off their old names, and marching under the new banner of the Kingdom of Iron.

Looking outwards, Gadriel noticed so many problems from enemy nations, races and continents. While his king sat idle, Gadriel stewed in his own hatred. Until eventually, he could take it no more, and cut down his own king, in favour of advancing his nation.

1/2
>>
>>51477876
>Solar Monks are literally Goku

Believe me, it got weebed hard.
>>
>>51477693
That's a lot of material.
>>
File: 1446258856864.jpg (50KB, 636x781px) Image search: [Google]
1446258856864.jpg
50KB, 636x781px
>>51477890
Goddamnit.
>>
WHERE IS MY UA REEE
>>
>>51475612
I had a div wiz that a DM had an issue with. She decided to fiat that my shit would never work RAW and that her precious characters -ahem- monsters should always get the jump on the party and nothin personal our shit. Honestly no one at that game really needed character sheets or dice since it didnt matter unless she decided it did.
>>
File: nolove.jpg (57KB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
nolove.jpg
57KB, 800x448px
I need help creating a magic glaive. Any tips for what kind of effects to give it for a martial class?
>>
>>51477922
Never week
>>
>>51477922
>>51477865
>>51477310
>>51477221
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/825115698502307845
>>
>>51476751
Drinking a potion yourself is already a bonus action. Administering it to someone else is a full action.
>>
>>51477941
>Any tips for what kind of effects to give it for a martial class?
Probably stuff that helps with killing things.
Or not. Do whatever, make it a gag item if you want.
>>
>>51477940
Sounds like the kind of DM who is way to attached to her NPC's and story and who hate the player for interfering in their grand story. Stupid PC's, always trying to do stuff I dont want...
>>
>>51477968
Wrong. Drinking a potion is an action.
>>
>>51477861
I will keep this written down for my creation of the character

I do have one off topic question concerning my current campaign:
>Be barbarian who is the shithead of trophies
>group getting pissed off by this
>mage of our group has struck me more times than the rest of our group on purpose as she is a cunt
>has threatened to kill him after collecting my last trophy

Should the next deal with her damaging him have a full on battle with her? She is pretty flimsy and we are just before fighting the final boss of the place.
>>
>>51477957
Watdafuq.
2 whole weeks for a damn sorcerous origin.
>>
>>51477941
Fighters and shit already are hilariously front loaded for pole arm master sentinel gwm/gwf cheese, so they don't need more of that in their weapon.

Give them what they're missing : temporary flight for x rounds or something to deal with pesky retreatmonkeys.
>>
Can you use an older edition of the Monster Manual if you're playing 5e?

How much adaptation is needed?
>>
>>51477774
The idea is that, fluff wise you are trained to not entirely rely on magic. So you would at least have a side arm just in case. At least that was my reasoning.

>>51477823
Thanks for the critique! On my ph9ne currently so I'll try to respond in the easiest way.

1. Actually I was gonna put Insight in there instead, when I dove back in I noticed I had forgotten to change it since it was a placeholder from previous revisions.

2. Comparing it to Bladesong and other 2nd level features, I felt like having your help action go up to 30 feet wasn't strong enough to fill it by itself, considering you have to wait till level 6 till it is comparable to Mastermind. Int I felt was a good choice, since a lot of wizards that I have seen in my experience treat it like a dump stat compared to con and dex. The last one I should reword better to be limited to a numer of allies instead.

3. Keen Mind with this is interesting, but I wouldn't personally punish it since they would give up other feats and ASIs.

4. Already fixed it to twice per long rest.

5. Wording isn't my best feature, so I'll work on it.

Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>51477968
this is technically wrong but pretty much everyone I know who DM's 5e has houseruled it this way
>>
>>51477976
That's just bad form. I mean, if you're not drinking the tears of your NPCs even harder than the tears of your players, what are you doing?
>Blast you, heroes! You've stopped my plans yet again!
>I'll get you one of these days... I-I mean it!
>>51477991
>How much adaptation is needed
Pretty much all of it.
>>
>>51477941
Glaive of massacre: When you kill an enemy with it it becomes a +1 Glaive, next kill a +2 glaive and so on as long as you keep killing enemies within 1 minute. Change the damage bonus if you think its too weak. Basically useless if your DM likes small encounters, awesome if he throws stuff at you like crazy.
>>
>>51477986
Grapple her and threaten to break her hands and jaw so she can't use verbal or somatic which will stop 90% of her spells from ever being cast if she fucks with you again.
>>
File: oath of conquest.jpg (11KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
oath of conquest.jpg
11KB, 272x185px
>>51477888
2/2

Soon after taking his throne and killing all dissenters, he established himself as a Warrior king, fighting alongside his forces, at the forefront of the action, and winning by crushing his enemies spirit and morale through sheer fearsome displays of power.

It was during his conquest of the Elven Islands that he met his end. A temple of pacifist monks were the last to be conquered while taking the islands, and had till now sat idle. However, upon Gadriel first breaching their gates, he noticed only one wizened old elf, huge beard, greying temples, calm look upon his face. When asked where the rest of his army was, the monk only laughed and said he was it.

Quickly sending off some scouts to find and kill the rest of the obviously fled monks, the old one moved to intercept them, with a speed that belied his age. When one of them attempted to strike him down, he suddenly found himself without a functioning arm.

Enraged by this blatant show of power, Gadriel sent his soldiers away, and engaged the monk by himself. For 8 days they battled, Gadriel attempting to break his spirit and his body, the monk only deflecting his attacks, never striking back.

Until on the 9th day, one of the monks from the temple returned, and attempted to aid his master, by striking at Gadriel. Being no match for the warrior king, he simply hefted his shield and punted the elf's head from his body.

The old monk cried out in anguish, and performed a fist of the north star, rupturing all of Gadriel's arteries immediately.

But Gadriel did not die. His spirit, stronger than his body, burst free from his mortal shell, tearing itself from his skin as if it were only an inconvenience, and ripped the Monk clean in half with his bare hands.

The soldiers of the Kingdom of Iron returned to find the old Monk dead, and their King's ghost standing over his own corpse.

2/3 oops
>>
>>51477970
>Glaive of the Deep Brew
Once per day, you can transform one container of liquid into your choice of Ale, Wine, or other alcoholic beverage. When consumed, the target has advantage on saving throws to resist disease, and disadvantage on CHA (Persuasion, Performance) checks.
The drinker becomes drunk for 1 hour, regardless of the drinker's tolerance.
>>
>>51477957
Glad to see that whole weekly release thing stuck. Fuck these incompetent idiots.
>>
>>51478023
>and performed a fist of the north star

Pls stop I can only cringe so hard
>>
oh and can I get some recs for adventures that are story focused and encourage the players to do investigative work?

>>51478014
Really?

Are stats really that significantly different between editions?
>>
>>51477867
>just ask my players to name their items
I might do that.

>>51477810
Uh, anything that says it's restored on a short rest? Most fighter abilities, Ki Points, Wild Shape, Bardic Inspiration (after level 5)... And for the record, wizards don't get some spell slots back on a short rest, they can use Arcane Restoration, which gives them some levels of slots back, during a short rest. But Arcane Restoration itself can only be used once per long rest.
>>
>>51478048
>Are stats really that significantly different between editions
You need to change the whole statblock to work within bounded accuracy.
>>
>>51478048
>I know nothin about the game hurr hurrrrrrr

They're different systems.

Ask me if you can jam your NES cartridge into your Gamecube.
>>
>>51477986
Complicated. As a DM, I truly dislike when the group tries to kill each other. Players should try to avoid this as good as possible and only fight each other if it's the very last resort, and even then it sucks. Try to avoid battle with with the mage as long as you can.
Then again, I think its weird that this kind of behaviour pisses your group off. Collecting trophies is pretty much normal.
>>
>>51478021
>I'd like to add she has already killed me mid battle to which our healer was quick to my aid.
I had not reacted to her other than disregarding her speach to him.
I feel holding his tongue back this long is very uncharacteristic but one last threat could be in order. Or killing her up front
>>
>>51478023
Dramatically weakened in death, Gadriel was forced to order a retreat. As the Islands of the Elves disappeared in the distance, he vowed to return and conquer them in time.

Back home, Gadriel declared himself unfit to rule, now that he was no longer capable of producing an heir, and reinstated the last royal lineage, after finding them again.

He then began to train again, attempting to overcome his weakness. But unbeknownst to him, the new royal family remembered his betrayal of their king, and plotted revenge.

On the eve of the old king's death, Gadriel was still training, as he had not stopped in days. He vowed not to die, he vowed not to rest, or stop fighting, until the entire world sat firmly under the Kingdom of Iron's grasp.

Three shadowy hooded figures entering his training room, he did not notice their arrival until it was too late. Unable to be truly killed until his purpose was fulfilled, but unable to break free of their grasp, he was deposited inside an iron sarcophagus along with his armour and weapon, sealed inside with runes and magic chains, and then left inside a new, unmarked crypt, just inside the central kingdom's borders, in the woods.

500 years later, the party will find him, and have their last member added.

>>51478046
It's called quivering palm you dick.
>>
>>51478083
I'm collecting molars from the party when they die before they are revived as part of my trophies
>>
>>51478006
>A lot of wizards treat Int as a dump stat
...Okay, I guess.
Besides that, Strategem also gives you an unlimited amount of these pseudo-Commander's Strikes, which I'm assuming is mitigated by the fact that wizards can only cast a limited amount of times and it doesn't deal extra damage. Like Commander's Strike, it should cost a bonus action (after all, you're not using it to Help) to limit its use-per-round to one.
>>
>>51477986

I would let her know that while you don't really mind her actions OOC (lie if you must), in-character your barbarian is visibly at the end of his rope with her and one more hostile action will likely set him off.

Then, follow through.
>>
>>51477912
Yeah, I know. Half the trouble I have with seeking critique is figuring out what to actually ask, seeing as a lot of these races are too big to fit just one post here on their own.
>>
>>51474551

Oh, hey, I didn't get mine in last time

>Human Charlatan Bard with Magic Initiate

Cursed to play only cantankerous caterwauling, Black Swan Jack shall play only a single masterpiece earth shattering in it its beauty, right before the moment of his death.

Wanting to see what the fuss is all about, gods have been trying to kill him as directly as they're allowed, which means BY THE POWER OF PLOT, but Jack as a bard is rather Genre Savy and has been evading them one way or another
>>
>>51478151
Alright
thank you for the advice on the matter!
>>
>>51477500
Have him used to be a criminal. Criminal background, thieves cant, contacts in the underground that "owe him a favor". And have him never reveal what he actually used to do.
>>
hey can you guys tell me if this too hard for my party (currently)?

it's a party of 3 6th-level characters, a death cleric, a wild magic sorcerer, and a revised ranger beast master.

they've been going through a gnoll hideout nestled in a dwarven ruin. I'm having them encounter an altar to Yeenoghu that is "blessed" by him and prayed to by some gnolls.

there's 3 standard, basic gnolls, as well a Fang of Yeenoghu and a human priest (the Priest npc stat block). KFC has it at a hard encounter.

the catch here is that there is some magical shennigans with the altar, and the priest and the fang have adv. on all attacks (the basic gnolls don't have that). does that sound like a bit much?
>>
>>51478137
Well, what would be a better attribute to scale with for initiative? I didn't want to pick Cha or Wis since those stats are commonly used for social or other important skills. Int I feel is an under appreciated skill and not used for a while lot.

A bonus action is a good way to limit it, I agree.
>>
So what do you guys think of the 5tg edition adventures?

I hear they're mostly meh with Curse of Strad being one of the better ones
>>
>>51478235
If the player's get the drop on them, and know the altar gives them power, then yeah it could be fair. It's gonna be hard, but you can do it. With spellcasting just forget about CR.

Your players can plan around the advantages they have and work with it. Draw out the small gnolls then the big one and priest
>>
>>51478270

yeah you know they've been pretty crafty so far so that's a possibility
>>
>>51478237
I'd say keep the +INT to initiative, allow for the planning to prevent surprise, limit the number of people that can benefit from it, and instead of giving EVERYONE +INT to initiative, have one of the people you choose that can't be surprised to transfer the initiative benefit you have to.
Like picking someone to take point and initiate the battle, such as a rogue making the first strike against an enemy leader.
>>
>>51478265
Currently running SKT and my players are loving it

I played LMoP and thought it was meh but others praise it

Can't speak on the others since haven't played them. I've heard that the two dragon ones are mediocre at best, boring and unfun at worst. POA is in the same category
>>
>>51478234
How would I play that off?
>>
>>51478304
Hmm, I like that. Makes for fun games like appointing a battlemaster to be a commander.
>>
>>51478346
>>51478234
I'm not trying to mock you, I really wouldn't know hoe to make that work
>>
>>51478304
And here is the "final draft". After taking in more criticism this is the more balanced version. Is this much better?
>>
>>51478579
Get rid of the anime image and you'll be good to go boyo
>>
>>51478579
>No galeforce
How can you expect to have a good build without that?
>>
>>51478336
What's so good about SKT? I couldn't read through the Triboar section without getting increasingly annoyed at the "male and female of various ethincities" shite being repeated every two sentences.
>>
>>51478587
My photoshop skills are limited, and finding a similar picture of a strategist looking person with an easy to shop background is tough. Anime is here to stay.

>>51478600
Eugenics was a mistake.
>>
>>51478265
I haven't heard a lot about them- Mostly about LMOP and of course COS.

Someone said the dragon ones had early game balance issues, can anyone elaborate?
>>
>>51478610
What's so upsetting about that anon?
>>
>>51478579
Looks like this would be more of a bard college than a magic school but otherwise fine.
>>
>>51478635
>what's so upsetting of getting multicultural revisionism shoehorned into a fucking fantasy setting
>>
>>51478662
>Implying Bard needs anything more as it is
>>
So in my game I'm planning on having a character be half-something, but the people who cared for that person growing up used magic to hide/supress it (think Loki and Odin).

Now that person is dead and those magics and the like are going to slowly start to return.

The question I'd like to put to you all is this- for what reasons would someone do this? I have vague ideas, but I'd like an array of reason, and you're all reasonable people. So how about it? To protect them? Punishment somehow? Or what?
>>
File: 1419958866049.jpg (33KB, 324x384px) Image search: [Google]
1419958866049.jpg
33KB, 324x384px
>>51474411
Climb on it. Then proceed to smite it to oblivion as you both fall from the sky.
>>
>>51478673
It's ok. Just close your eyes and imagine everyone is white.
>>
>>51478712
Constantly saying that everyone is of varying ethnicity and male and female adds NOTHING to the setting and just wastes ink and paper.
It's also a very unrealistic assumption to make when creating a medieval fantasy setting.
>>
>>51478579

yeah seems balanced with some fun mechanics
>>
>>51478704
Depends on what they're half of, really. If they're half-orc maybe it's because they were found in the ruins of a slaughtered orc camp after the local military swept through and they didn't want anyone to know that there was a survivor.
>>
>>51478782

Half-Fey, this one.
>>
>>51478673
But anon, how can you have multicultural revisionism of a fictional setting? It's demographics don't necessarily map to any real world place or time.
>>
>>51478746
And if one thing is important then it is realism when it comes to my high fantasy setting. And maybe it adds nothing, but it also doesnt take something away. It is only a problem if you believe places like Faerun are comparable to a medieval realm, which it really isnt.
>>
>>51478346
>>51478553
A hired muscle meant to rough guys upgoes too far, killing a man, overcome with grief as the man's wife and children are now fatherless, and recounting the tales of his own life, he vows to make the change and try to atone for his sins. He gives all his money to the wife anonymously, and ventures out, while trying to keep his criminal tendencies to a minimum, though it is hard at times to see a free gold piece on the bar, or saying no to a very high pay for a dirty deed.

I would go Oath of Devotion for a focus on the redeeming, but if you want to be "I want to kill the real bad guys", go vengeance and be like all other Paladins.
>>
>>51477878
Hi /mlp/. Memes aside, that's an interesting idea--exposing a creature that has known nothing but deceit and backstabbing to sincere friendship.
>>
>>51478821
That's exactly it, because we have no easy way to know what the demographics of the particular town is (if it's important have a fucking stat box at the chapter start) we don't NEED to have it shoved in our faces every time the word "human" is mentioned. It's been a staple since forever that men and females are "equal" in the fantasy milieu, and multiculturalism as we know it isn't necessarily an issue in the setting so there's no reason to constantly shoehorn your real world opinions into it.
>>
>>51477700
The Unveil Ossuary
>>
>>51478853
i will keep this too!
Thank you guys for the great advice!
>>
>>51478830
It adds a lot of annoyance and removes space that could be used for other content.
>>
>>51478941
Shouldn't it be Unveiling?
>>
>>51478961
Its not like they use 20 pages only to tell you that there are more ethnicities. just ignore it if you dont like it for any reason. I like it personally, but even if I wouldnt, it would jot change the base quality of the content.
>>
>>51478964
I really don't know
Both seem fine too me but I'm not a main english speaker
Unveiling seem more about the purpose of the item while unveil is more about the nature of the item, it seems more mysterious that way
Maybe I'm wrong though
>>
>>51478795
The fey creature that was the parent may be hunted by one of the Archfey. If you have it in your setting, have them escape the Feywild and settle in amongst the humans. Once it was clear that he or she was still being hunted, the character must make the hardest decision of their life as they must continue running, to keep the Queen of Air and Darkness (or whoever)'a minions from finding their child.

Now with the disguise revealed they must also battle the resurgence of the hunt as servants of the Archfey hunt this person.
>>
>>51479022
Not 20 pages, but more than enough for, say, another monster stat block.
The thing is that every time "human" is stated as a race for a group of individuals it is automatically followed by the copy-pasted "male and female of blah blah blah blah" phrase.

And no one has given me a reason for why SKT is a good module, just bitching about how wrong it is to want a writer to leaver their real world politics out of a fantasy setting.
>>
>>51479082
Now now, you can't accuse people of bitching when you whine about shit this petty.
>>
>>51479072

Sounds like a pretty neat idea. Could be well-used. Thanks!
>>
>>51479142
>still no argument for why the module is good

I'm waiting you fucknugget.
>>
>>51479082
I really dont get your problem with this, but you know what? To each their own.
>>
>>51479158
I never said anything about the module anon, I don't really care about whether or not it's good.
>>
>>51479192
It was the original query, though, which was ignored in favor of attacking the questioner themselves.
>>
Thinking about starting off with Shield Master and then getting GWM. Worth it or just silly?
>>
>>51479219
Is there some rule about which part of a post you're allowed to respond to?
>>
>>51479249
Silly, those feats have no synergy.
>>
>>51478961
>It adds a lot of annoyance and removes space that could be used for other content.

I actually half agree with this guy

I don't need the book to tell me that my fantasy world is multi ethnic, thank you very much, I already do that bit myself.

Give me that good dragon shit.
>>
>>51479249
If you can an enemy to prone with the bonus, then yeah GWM would be worth it as you can get advantage for the rolls.
>>
>>51479281
Its a good thing for newish groups though, helping the DM and the player to imagine the place. Dont need to repeat this every page, but its a good thing that it is said at least once.
>>
>>51479258
You can write incomprehensible gibberish for all I care. If your argument is to be seriously considered it should however be as fallacy-free as possible.

>>51479281
You don't want the writer to shove their politics down your throat, are you a shitlord or something?
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot.png (169KB, 1280x645px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot.png
169KB, 1280x645px
Whats the best non-magical solution to a theft alarm on a PC's belt pouch? I'm looking for a way to entice my party's rogue into stealing my coins, but I don't want him to get away with it.
>>
>>51479317
So have a fucking setting part at the start of the module that the DM can refer to.
>>
>>51479321
Is it a fallacy to ask someone why they are bothered by something they said bothers them? It's not even an argument. I wasn't arguing.
>>
File: Paladin uses Intimidate.jpg (340KB, 1941x1496px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin uses Intimidate.jpg
340KB, 1941x1496px
Incredibly stupid question, but when I'm using a paladin Smite spell (not the class feature, a spell like Wrathful Smite), does the spell end the first time the spell takes effect, or does it apply to EVERY melee attack I make until the spell ends?
>>
>>51479324
A hostile, jumpy, venomous snake in your coin pouch.
>>
>>51479393
It only works for the attack you use it on.
>>
>>51479445
It's listed as Concentration up to a minute, so I wasn't sure. Thanks.
>>
>>51479324
>Purchase bag of ball bearings and some string
>Carefully cut an opening in the bottom of the bag of ball bearings and then thread it closed with the string leaving one end un-knotted and the other end (long end) free
>Place the bag of ball bearings on the side opposite from your coin pouch
>Tie the string to your coin pouch and hide the string behind your belt

>Thief grabs coin purse
>Purse pulls string
>String un-threads from ball bearing bag
>Ball bearings go everywhere
>You and thief both fall down
>Use your reaction to grapple
>Beat thief senseless
>>
>>51479358
>It's ok. Just close your eyes and imagine everyone is white.
This is implying that the questioner is a white supremacist. Most would consider this a personal insult.

>I wasn't arguing.
You are trying to persuade the questioner that their original reason for dislike of the subject matter (SKT) is wrong. This is, by definition, arguing.
>>
NEW THREAD:

>>51479459
>>51479459
>>51479459
>>
>>51479393

It only affects one successful attack. Which is important, because if you cast it and then miss, you don't lose it. You can still hit with it so long as you maintain your concentration.
>>
>>51479469
That's so if you miss the spell isn't wasted.

Basically it lasts until you hit something, or lose concentration, or 1 minute passes without hitting something, but usually it's the first thing.
>>
>>51479471
Literal inability to copy the thread line properly. Disgusting, can't wait to see how shit your post is.
>>
>>51479490
That poster wasn't me. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of anything.
>>
>>51479528
I can't tell if this is intentional or not.
>>
So I'm looking to have some homebrew maneuvers that are alright. I have one in mind but I'm questioning on two of the aspects.

Gag:

When an enemy casts a spell with a verbal component within 5 feet of you, you may use your reaction to strike at the enemy to interrupt the spell. The target must make a concentration check to complete the spell.

The two things I need to decide are the DC for the check, which could be the maneuver save, or a typical concentration check roll, which is half the damage dealt.

The other thing, is if the spell slot is wasted. I'm thinking if I have the low D.C. they should lose the slot, if high DC they should keep it. What do you guys think
>>
>>51479540
So asking a counter-question was not meant to be used as a stand point to persuade the original questioner?

Regardless, it was used as such by the other poster. Apologies for the mix-up, but that can happen without poster IDs.
>>
File: gimlilegolas.jpg (26KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
gimlilegolas.jpg
26KB, 500x508px
So I haven't been keeping up with 5e pretty much at all. I'm fairly happy with the system, but what exactly is so terrible about the PHB Ranger? It certainly doesn't help that hearsay is that the UA Ranger is overpowered. How do they keep missing the mark?

<seinfeld>What's the deal with Rangers?</seinfeld>
>>
>>51479717
PHB Ranger isn't bad, just a touch weak. Hunter is worse than a fighter or paladin, and beastmaster was worse than everything in the game because their pet was garbage. The UA Ranger fixed the beastmaster and tried to tweak the Ranger to give it some more utility and more damage against favored targets. It worked, it just made the class incredibly front-loaded. The result is going UA Ranger is fine, going UA Ranger and multiclassing into other things is fine, but if you go PHB non-Ranger and then dip into UA Ranger your DM should punch you in the face.
>>
>>51478579
>>
>>51478346
>>51478234

Show, don't tell. When your party needs some help, you might know a guy, and you know where to find them. You might split off for an hour or two, or if the party follows, you communicate with your contacts in Thieves' Cant anyway, so to the unknowing observer, you're talking about the weather for all they know. When the party inevitably asks what that was all about, you shrug it off. Say someone owes you a favor, it's smart to make a few connections, or even just give a look. As pathologically nosy as adventurers are, the more sensitive a matter, the more likely they are to be suspicious, so playing it off casually and just giving non-answers is the most entertaining way to go.

For your actual backstory, crime pays, until it doesn't. At some point, you got burned, figuratively or literally badly. An arrangement went south, someone betrayed you, or by the time things had escalated past your own moral limitations, you were in too deep to get away clean. In the process, you lost something important. Maybe it was a loved one, a dear friend, be it their life or the relationship you had with them. Maybe it was a whole lot of money. Maybe it was some time behind bars. Hell, maybe all of the above. Whatever it was, it made you swear to never go back, and walk a righteous path. You're in service of something big now, and it's hardly easy. But whenever you're in doubt, there's a painful reminder of your old life that keeps you from turning. The specifics are up to you.
>>
Have a loot whore player.
I've spoken to him and he is no longer belligerent about it.
He's the first one to pipe up about loot.
He opens the chest, puts the ring on his finger.
The party doesn't argue with him since he lashed out.
I've had him fail several deception checks but the party doesn't know what to do.

Should I start telling some of my players to call him on his shit?

I'm thinking of cursing him the next time he steals a magic item
Thread posts: 452
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.