[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Latest News > New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 453
Thread images: 69

File: 1459992969666.jpg (185KB, 1024x638px) Image search: [Google]
1459992969666.jpg
185KB, 1024x638px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51454792

Burn! Burn! Burn! edition.

Also bladelocks.
>>
File: apex kek.jpg (43KB, 556x561px) Image search: [Google]
apex kek.jpg
43KB, 556x561px
>on a mission to disrupt an NE mage's ritual to supercharge themself with magic
>when we get there we find out the mage is a bikini-clad sorceress
>party wizard decides to see if he can overload the ritual "like the Toa Nuva did to the Bohrak-Kal"
>DM decides to let him try
>rolls 17 on arcana, +8
>DM says he knows exactly how to do it
>sorceress screams out in pain
>she knows what's coming too
>"Please, have mercy!"
>a moment later, now in a sultry tone
>"I'll let you have anything you want!"
>she's winking and posing seductively, really laying it on thick
>wizard has a chance to bang a 10/10 and maybe redeem her with the LN dick
>instead he requests that she transfer all her stocks and holdings to him
>end up capturing her alive, turn her into the authorities
>mfw he just wanted the money so he can buy rare books for his personal library

Fucking wizards
>>
How much longer until /5eg/ is as degenerate as /pfg/
>>
I would appreciate it if that discord would stop rearing its ugly head in the OP.
>>
>>51465009
>stop liking what I dont like!!!!
>>
>>51464974
Fresh off the presses is my new Monster Hunter supplement. Granted there was an existing MH supplement but It didn’t quite meet standards of 5e game design in numerous areas, so I hope this interests someone

This mainly covers the weapons and races of Monster Hunter, although currently there is nothing there for carving monsters. Upgrading/crafting weapons and armor has been covered though
All of the weapons have been based off of 5e equivalents and given new weapon properties to help emulate the feel of each weapon, such as the Gunlance’s shelling or the transforming properties of the Switch Axe.

Due to this structure, customized weapons are also possible. Stick shelling on an Insect glaive for a buggy buggy boomstick or put bowgun ammunition into a pair of dual swords for dual bladed revolvers or some shit. Make a great sword that transforms into a lance or a bowgun with the insect glaive’s pole vault maneuver. Come up with the steeliest donuts you can and let me know if something needs balancing.

On a side note, who runs the homebrew mega? I have a few things I want to try to add to it, including Bloodborne Trick Weapons, a Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles supplement, and a Fire Emblem supplement, but I’ve no idea on who to contact about it.
>>
File: middle finger.jpg (145KB, 504x698px) Image search: [Google]
middle finger.jpg
145KB, 504x698px
>>51464974
>No title
>Ugly picture
>Discord server
>>
>>51464996
As someone playing a Divination Wizard, i would love to have this happen, but my DM is into "cinematic" gameplay and we havent encountered a city in 3 levels. We were in a dungeon, fought a boss, got teleported to a strange land, went back in time, did some weird time-loop event and now we're on the coast in a big tower with a giant bird god monster flying towards us.

Admittedly i just want a Sandbox where I can gather resources, build a stronghold, collect stuff and just dungeon crawl for fun.
>>
File: 1417553958018.png (10KB, 139x188px) Image search: [Google]
1417553958018.png
10KB, 139x188px
>>51465093
Then make the thread yourself next time, you lazy piece of shit.
>>
Does Green-flame blade work with extra attack?
>>
>>51465033
Would you say the same thing if all of our OP images turned into /pfg/ OP images? Trash is trash.
>>
>>51465148
Nope.
>>
>>51465169
Well shit, here I thought using it and the bladelocks' extra attack would be a good idea.
>>
>>51464996
hey, he didn't become a powerful wizard by wasting his time with women.
>>
File: familiar.jpg (118KB, 810x753px) Image search: [Google]
familiar.jpg
118KB, 810x753px
If a Warlocks/Wizards familiar dies do they have to spend another full hour and the components to resummon it?

If so, unless they are actively dismissing it as an action or hiding it literally every aoe spell like fireball will probably one shot them.
>>
>>51465080
>Monster Hunter Supplement
That's cool crap, anon.
Can you post any of those other things you talked about, or are they too large?
>>
File: Njucto v1.1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Njucto v1.1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
On v1.1 for this. Even added a fancy sheet for all the loving feedback you and other gifted to me in the last section.
>>
>>51465215
>If a Warlocks/Wizards familiar dies do they have to spend another full hour and the components to resummon it?
Yes. Familiars can be a big boost in combat (with the Help action) and great utility, but in combat they are the squishiest type of creature and it can become expensive and time-consuming to resummon them.
>>
>>51465227
Which one you want senpai?
>>
>>51465165
>falcee equivalencing this hard
>>
>>51465273
false*
>>
>>51464974
Fuck, I just returned. Was supposed to sleep but nausea from hunger kept me awake. Gotta eat before trying again. No changes to Savant yet.

>>51465000
I dunno, 5k-kun. Maybe when we collaboratively make homebrew races for all the usual degenerate suspects? You know it will happen eventually. I contributed by unwittingly making an archetype that can make artificial monster girls.
>>
>Elves: French
>Orcs: Native Americans
>Dwarves: Mexicans / Spaniards
>Halflings: Irish
>Gnomes: ???????
Germans, maybe?
>>
>>51465267
Fire Emblem, or FF would be nice.
>>
>>51465327
I'll do both
>>
File: 1454324869455.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1454324869455.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>>51465254
>with the Help action

Everytime a Wizard wants their familiar to help them I ask "and how exactly do you imagine your pet cat is helping you study that book/kill that giant/climb that mountain?"
>>
>>51465348
The Help action isn't the same as helping with ability checks. Help is just providing a distraction in combat to give an ally an opening.
>>
>>51465326
>>Dwarves: Mexicans / Spaniards

Dude

Dwarves are Jews

How many times do we need to go over this?
>>
>>51465348

>>Oh sssooo whats the cat actually DOING hmmm?
>>The best he can
>>
File: 139.jpg (152KB, 813x1075px) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
152KB, 813x1075px
Any suggestions for stating a Kalidah?
>>
>>51465348
>playing a Mystic with CRYSTAL MAGIC VOODOO homebrew shit
>I can collect and attune to various crystals and gain weird effects
>attuning to a hunk of diamond helps the party find more loot and grants advantage on social checks relating to the negotiation of rewards
>amethyst makes me immune to non-magical poisons and I can nullify one knockdown on myself or ally per long rest
>quartz lets me use the Help action on allies from a distance, as long as I have proficiency in the skill being used
>mfw I have 11 proficiencies
>>
>>51465343
There ya go anon
>>
>>51465386
Because it's a Wild West setting and there aren't enough fucking Jews around to justify my need to have Dwarves literally everywhere
>>
>>51465409
>>51465343
Thanks!
>>
>>51465348
>"and how exactly do you imagine your pet cat is helping you study that book

He's keeping my feet warm, and fetching me a glass of water, and reading it for me as well and dumping the knowledge on my brain telepathically

>/kill that giant/

The same way Bards do, cheerleading

>climb that mountain?"

Climbs up a mountain, ties a rope to a sturdy spot, lets the rope down?
idk, just trying to be cheeky
>>
Oath of The Ancients is less a battle against evil, more defending the kindness and joy in the hearts and minds of the people, right?

What are some fitting means of roleplaying such an oath, in general terms?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (37KB, 395x276px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
37KB, 395x276px
>>51465376
>Ability check

I can see combat working, sometimes, if the enemy is not just strong enough to ignore a cat.
>>
>>51465415
That's fine.
Use mexican names for them and change -ez to -az
>>
>>51465446
Already on it senor
>>
When a wizard casts a spell like Magic Missile or something like that does the wizard roll to hit or does the spell just auto-hit?
>>
>>51465471
Magic Missile autohits, which is the big reason to use it.
>>
>>51465343
That just brings to mind that I would want an Onion Knight (No, not Davos Seaworth) class / fighter archetype.

It would probably suck (in more ways than one, being broken in both axes of OP) so hard that it would probably be just dumb.

Opinionions?
>>
>>51465471
Most ranged spells; yes. It will say "Make a ranged spell attack"

Magic missile just hits though
>>
>>51465471
What does the spell description say?

Some spells require an attack roll made by the caster.

Some spells require a saving throw made by those targeted or within the area of effect.

Magic Missile specifically...Why let's take a quick gander at the SRD.

>You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.

I replied to your question in the previous thread.
>>
>>51465446

>>I am Don Barba De Bonce Rodrigaz
>>Go with Moradain Amigo
>>
>>51465420
Enjoy nigga. I love sharing my homebrew

>>51465506
It might be covered by an existing archetype or class and feat combination. Would be good to look into it. So many people make new archetypes and entire classes for things existing content can cover.
>>
>>51465553
Precisely
>>
>>51465582
Hmm, I will try to look into it. Maybe I'll discover something. Maybe.
>>
File: WOT M8.jpg (70KB, 376x340px) Image search: [Google]
WOT M8.jpg
70KB, 376x340px
Is there a way to give a Wizard expertise in Arcana without resorting to multiclassing? I find it silly that a Rogue thief/assassin/burglar would be an expert at, say, Arcana, while the Wizard, who has spent their entire life studying magic, would only ever be proficient in Arcana.
>>
>>51465215
>>51465254
What are /tg/'s thoughts on tweaking the Find Familiar spell to allow casters to summon creatures with more hit points, if they cast it at a higher level than 1st? Naturally, they wouldn't be able to gain that advantage while casting the spell as a ritual.
>>
>>51465231
i can't click the links in the PDF.
>>
Should we do something to make Crossbows somewhat more viable versus the regular bows?

My idea would be to use the "Loading" keyword and actually give it a benefit: A reaction attack before rolling initiative.

But that's one reaction shot, not much. And honestly it sounds like some ranger feature rather than one tied to a weapon.
>>
When Green-Flame Blade says it deals damage at higher levels, does that refer to total character level or caster level?
>>
>>51465988
Character level, as with all cantrips.
>>
>>51465927
Huh; so it appears you cannot. Have the homebrewery link.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJOJKxsDg
>>
>>51465988
total character level. Other cantrips scale this way as well.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/04/eldritch-blast-scale/
>>
>>51465920
Ask your DM very nicely. I sometimes let my players exchange two or three proficiencies for one expertise.
>Guild Artisan background doesn't even give you expertise in your chosen guild's tools.
Fuck that, too. A master who's spent his whole life learning how to make pottery should have more skill with potter's supplies than a noble who took it up as a hobby.
>>
>>51465971
Crossbows do more damage than bows though
They're good for classes that use them as backup weapons and don't mind only getting 1 attack with them.
If you want to become Varric and be a crossbow badass, you have to take the Crossbow Expert feat
>>
>>51465920
Sometimes DMs will let you train during downtime for stuff like that
>>
>>51465925
Nah familiar doesn't need to be stronger than it already is.
>>
Years of Pathfinder has taught me to hate the system and I really want to get into 5e, but I'm not sure where to start. Does Wizard's have something similar to Pathfinder Society I can look into with any group listings, or should I just go online?
>>
>>51466153
5e has Adventurers League. Ask at your local game store, also the best place to get an IRL game together if you have no friends.

Otherwise you can try online, either Roll20 LFG, /tg/'s gamefinder threads, or some other community's LFG areas.
>>
Newest version of the Brawler, here.

Probably the last version, too, as I'm pretty sure it's just minor tweaks (if anything) here on out.
>>
Anons? I could use some help with homebrewing:

I'm working on a new Warlock patron inspired by "dark woodlands goddess" type creatures; Shub-Niggurath, Lamashtu, Coatlicue, etc. For their sixth level feature, I was thinking to basically give them a companion beast, ripped from the revised Ranger, but which can be Aberration, Beast, Plant or Vermin in type.

Given that this companion is coming at 3 levels later than the Ranger equivalent, should I beef up the "design a companion" rules (Medium or smaller, 15 or fewer HP, max damage per attack 8 or less) as a result?
>>
>>51465424
Your Paladin gets proficiency in Brewer's Tools. Makes a lot of beer and other spirits. Likes to make people happy with good booze and some music on the side.
>>
>>51466248
How would that feature companion synergize with Chain? I know no one plays Chain Warlocks, but it's still important to take into account. Is a familiar and a companion beast a little much for one character?
>>
Quick question. What are a few cleric spells that don't rely too much on that cleric's Wisdom modifier?

Whenever you join a new campaign, always either make characters at home or at least know the party's level in advance. In the past two days I have had to roll up an 11th and 8th level character on the spot, and I thought I was making something five levels lower. It was so worth it.
>>
What happen when every PC ready action off the same trigger?

hypothetical scenario: Enchanter Wizard use Hypnotic Gaze on the enemy. Paladin,Fighter and Monk all ready attack to attack the incapacitated enemy at the same moment. Will all of them get the critical hit? Would you call out for DEX or follow the order of initiative to see who get to attack first (and thus only allow 1 critical hit)?
>>
>>51466220
I'll look into Adventurer's League then /tg/ if that fails. All my friends still Pathfinder.

Could you explain the Artificer and the Revised Ranger to me? I'm digging through the OP now and I'm confused about where they stand since they're not part of the core rulebook.
>>
>>51466353
Revised ranger the artificer are both Unearthed Arcana material, which is considered playtest material. It can be used in home-games but not in Adventurers League, as only officially-published material can be used in AL.

As for the meta, revised ranger is a front-heavy but overall good fix to the PHB ranger, and the artificer is actually a bit weak overall.
>>
>>51465312
Fuck, posted wrong version. Gahhh.

For those who it works on the browser http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rymjKpUjvx
>>
>>51465424
Be a Good Man. Interpret that as you will. Is this paladin the type of Good Man who gives money to the homeless? The type who runs an honest establishment filled to the brim with ale, whores and did I mention ale? Or is he perhaps the type of Good Man who represents the average man: a father with a wife and kids, just trying to make them proud?

It's all up to you Anon. Take what you define as a Good Man and breathe life into it. With any luck, it'll look like Optimus Prime in half-elven form.
>>
>>51466341
>What happen when every PC ready action off the same trigger?

I have the readied actions go off in initiative order.

In your case, the first person (of those with readied actions) in the initiative count would be the one who would get the crit.
>>
>>51466341
Depends on your DM. I personally would go off of initiative order, since going off of DEX wastes a bit of time. As for the rest of your questions, read the damn spell again, then read about readied actions and actions and general.
>>
>>51466466
> Hypnotic Gaze
> spell
>>
>>51465425

Something like an owl could easily be distracting. If some kind of bird were to start fluttering around your face for a quick second you'd probably notice it whether you wanted to or not. In that sense it'd distract them.
>>
So I revised my homebrew a bit, removed the previous ribbon and put something else in. Is this too strong for a wizard school?
>>
>>51466328
Bunch of spells like Bane, Bless, Detect Good/Evil, etc.

Try
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html
or
https://googleben.github.io/Spellbook/

It shouldn't take too long to quickly browse through and pick out spells that don't say "save" or "attack"
>>
>>51465080
As far as carving, how about everyone's favorite D&D invention: The table. Say that you're carving a Lagiacrus. On a 1d100, 1-25 is a scale, 26-48 is a claw, etc. Just transferring over the standard percentage rates for carves onto the table itself. It works because a monster's never going to have 101 different things to carve. Admittedly making the tables for EVERYTHING would take a bajillion years but most of this you can just find on kiranico or the mh wikis.
>>
What are some good spells for a low-level necromancer to pick up? I've got mage armor, find familiar, ray of sickness, and false life so far.
>>
File: fighting the undead.jpg (383KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fighting the undead.jpg
383KB, 1600x1200px
So I've been looking through the pastebin and I couldn't find anything related to premade campaigns. I'm going to be running a small side campaign from a premade for a second group, levels 1 to 5. We're all veterans, but they want to try a premade.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a 1 to 5 (or something similarly low level) premade campaign for 5e? I've found a number of lists of recommendations, but they are mostly for purchase on the DMs Guild and I don't want to buy anything unless I'm absolutely sure it's worthwhile content.
>>
>>51467058
sleep
>>
Are there any good radiant damage spells that can be found in paladin or warlock lists? I'm doing an Undying Light Warlock and I thought it might be neat to focus on radiance.
>>
File: Untitled.png (626KB, 1024x442px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
626KB, 1024x442px
>>51465348
Watching Aladdin made a lot more sense realizing that Iago was Jafar's familiar rather than just some random talking pet.
>>
>>51466328
> make character at home
> not making character together with everyone at session 0

Enjoy doing it wrong
>>
>>51467081
Lost mines of Phandelver is a WotC one for 1-5 and it's pretty good. Actually the best short premade I've ever had the pleasure of running.
>>
>>51465080
> A hunter knife is 1000gp
You might need a different zenny to gp conversion...
>>
File: parrot.png (835KB, 796x991px) Image search: [Google]
parrot.png
835KB, 796x991px
>>51467297

Really, a parrot should be a core familiar option.
>>
>>51465080
Take versatile off the lance. As a main MH Lancer, I do not approve of this until you take it off.
>>
>>51467349
>CHA 8 (-1)
Sounds about right.
>>
>>51465971
>Should we do something to make Crossbows somewhat more viable versus the regular bows

Hand Crossbows are already the best ranged weapon and perhaps the best non-DMG treasure weapon in general.
>>
>>51467436
How the hell is this the case?
>>
>>51467447
Crossbow expert
>>
>>51467470
>>51467447
At Fighter level 11
Longbow 3d8+15(DEX)+30(sharpshooter)
= 58.5 average damage

Handcrossbow 4d6+16(DEX)+40(sharpshooter)
= 70 average damage
>>
>>51467506
Is this duel wielding hand crossbows?
>>
>>51467548
No. Dual wielding crossbow doesn't even work.
>>
>>51467587
How, then are you getting the extra attack?
>>
>>51467615
Not him, but it's from the last bullet point in Crossbow Expert about being able to attack with a hand crossbow as a bonus action.

It's... a point of contention for a lot of people.
>>
>>51467447
>>51467548
>>51467615
The Hand Crossbow with Crossbow Expert simply lets you get an extra attack off as a bonus action, which does not require dual wielding or anything of the sort, you simply can make a bonus action attack when attacking with a one handed weapon, of which the Hand Crossbow you just fired already is. This is very significant if you're adding dexterity and the sharpshooter bonus to it, putting it ahead of other ranged weapons.

Ranged weapons have the Archery fighting style that offers a flat +2 bonus to hit, helping offset the -5 penalty that Sharpshooter imposes, whereas melee weapons don't have an equivalent to offset Great Weapon Master, and of course ranged weapons can be fired from, you know, range. Therefor arguably making the Hand Crossbow the best weapon, at the cost of needing to use ammunition.
>>
>>51467615
RAW:
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.
Hand Crossbow is considered a one-handed weapon, but it doesn't make a distinction of 'separate weapons'.
>>
>>51467647
Now I want to play a fighter or paladin with a hand crossbow, crossbow expert, and the City Watch background.
>>
>>51467619
>>51467647
>>51467652
That doesn't sound like RAI. I always interpreted that to mean attacking with a separate weapon.
>>
>>51466301
As familiars, off the top of my head, have no combat-related utility and a beast companion does? I don't think there'd be any issues, personally.

Really, that's kind of why I'm here. Figuring out what features to give this Patron is a pain in the ass. Especially since probably the most iconic one involves summoning/magically birthing loyal monsters to do the warlock's bidding.

>>51467233
Not off the top of my head. We lost pretty much all of the Star Pact warlock spells when we switched editions, so Warlocks went from one of the best Radiance-spammers to one of the worst.
>>
>>51467698
Pretty much.

Mearls has said that at his table it would have to be a separate weapon, but Crawford has said (on both twitter and Sage Advice) that yes, technically the feat works that way.

Overall it's a bit rules lawyery and doesn't pass the smell test. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of DMs shut it down.
>>
>>51467743
>>51467738
>>51467698
>imagines a swashbuckler wielding a hand crossbow and a scimitar
That's how I figure it'd work
>>
>>51467652
>>51467698
Is it so hard to google stuff for 5 second before trying to defense your wrong opinion about some fact?

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/
>>
File: CLANG.gif (3MB, 560x360px) Image search: [Google]
CLANG.gif
3MB, 560x360px
>>51467686
Unfortunately Paladins can't Divine Smite with ranged weapons and Oathbreakers can't add their charisma to its damage, though on the other hand Oath of Treachery can add its poison to a general weapon or piece of ammunition I guess.

Crossbow Expert+Sharpshooter+Hand Crossbow Fighter is extremely viable though, especially Battlemaster. You can blow your Action Surge and Superiority Dice load and do huge damage in an emergency.
>>
>>51467347
Was just a placeholder price that never got changed. If I need to update the supplement I'd be sure to change it to something reasonable. I'm not too worried about prices anyways since every DM handles finances and reward money differently.

>>51467388
I lanced in MH1, MHF1, and MH4U. Having versatile on the lance harms it in no way
>>
>>51467846
HERESY! LANCE AND SHIELD IS THE ONLY WAY!
>>
>>51467833
All i'm saying is I wouldn't allow it at my table and neither would Mearls.
>>
>>51467743
>>51467698
So the problem here isn't that crossbow is bad mechanically and need fixing.

Bad DM who interpret the rule wrong (and thus they shouldn't be trust to go anywhere near game mechanic) is the actual problem here.
>>
>>51467911
What, you mean interpreting it how the rules say it works and makes the weapon actually have viable use, or?
>>
Are warlocks underpowered?
>>
File: 1424106414410.jpg (81KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1424106414410.jpg
81KB, 300x360px
>>51467883
The Lance's Superior Defense property lends itself to benefit more alongside a shield. If you want a 2 handed weapon, a versatile lance is probably the less flashy options in that sense. That being said, a lot of weapons in 5e are versatile, either for a main function or a damage bump for dramatic throw-the-shield moments.

tl;dr a dude with a 2h lance wont outdamage someone with a proper 2 handed weapon. It'll be fine
>>
>>51467940
Some anon thought crossbow is too weak and trying to "fix" it.
>>
>>51464974
Draconic patron for the warlock when?
>>
>>51467950
It's not mechanic problem brah. I refuse to acknowledge that you can use MH lance without shield.
>>
Two choices:
Purple Dragon Knight Fighter (Archer) 20
Purple Dragon Knight Fighter (Archer) 17 + Pact of the Chain Warlock 3

I am Half-Elf Variant (Drow) so I have Faerie Fire and Darkness. I'm now ready to advance to level 7, which is where PDK offers proficiency in Persuasion, or an alternate choice if I'm already proficient. My original plan was to go Warlock for 3 levels and pick up Devil's Sight and Beguiling Influence (I have 16 Cha), then take a different proficiency as offered by PDK's Royal Envoy feature.

The ultimate differences between the two are:
Fighter:
>Bulwark (can extend Indomitable to one ally within 60 feet when I use it)
>Ability Score Improvement
>Extra Attack (3)

Warlock:
>2 Cantrips: Friends, +1
>4 Spells Known: Hex, Expeditious Retreat, Invisibility, Darkness
>2 Spell Slots (2nd level) - recover on a short rest, just like Action Surge and Second Wind
>Proficiency in Deception and Persuasion (and one of Animal Handling, Insight, Intimidation, or Performance)
>Imp Familiar (Can shapeshift and turn invisible, can use one of my extra attacks to attack. Has Devil's Sight for when I Darkness. >Sting does 3d6 poison on a failed save, otherwise half, but poison is the worst elemental damage type.)
>Dark One's Blessing: 6 temporary hit points when I down a target.
>Delays all of my mid-range Fighter goodies by 3 levels.

I'm leaning towards full Fighter. But, I like the thematics of being a noble knight who ends up giving in to darkness and must struggle to keep it secret. I even have a Ring of Mind Shielding already.

What do you think? I've felt the pain of multiclassing before so I'm skeptical.
>>
>>51467947
No. Underpower class would be PHB ranger and Wot4E Monk.
>>
>>51467964
Homebrew always exists.

That aside, wait for the Warlock UA.
>>
File: runestaffs.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
runestaffs.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I decided to homebrew up a magic item based on runestaffs from 3.5 (pic related). How's this sound?

Runestaff of Midnight Death
Staff, rare (requires attunement by a sorcerer, warlock, or wizard)
While attuned to this item, you have the following spells prepared, and they don't count against your limit of spells to prepare:
• Animate dead
• Bestow curse
• Darkness
• Create undead
• Vampiric touch
Curse. This staff is cursed, and becoming attuned to it extends the curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you are unwilling to part with the staff, keeping it within reach at all times. Your appearance changes to that of an undead of the DM's choice. If you die while attuned to this staff, you rise 24 hours later as an undead of the DM's choice (deathlock or necropolitan works well).
>>
>>51465424
Be movie Aragorn and sing and wangst over a courtly love interest while enjoying the finer things in life and protecting the mystical natural beauty of the land.

Or be a Kingdom Hearts protagonist who tries to enable happy endings all the time while fighting dark interlopers.
>>
File: 1470098929474.png (5KB, 444x474px) Image search: [Google]
1470098929474.png
5KB, 444x474px
>>51467976
>every mechanic doesn't translate properly to tabletop
>i refuse to compromise!

I don't know what to say to you, Doodle, although I agree that using a lance without a shield is pretty lame when you could use the Insect Glaive instead and have a cool buggo friend on your arm.
>>
>>51467950
Does 2Handing a Lance provide any advantage? It's not even a Heavy weapon, and I really wish it were.
>>
File: King Hekaton.png (86KB, 171x189px) Image search: [Google]
King Hekaton.png
86KB, 171x189px
Stop shilling your homebrew.
>>
>>51467991
Walrock does some really quality stuff from what I've seen
>>
>>51468020
Not really. Like the other anon said. it's meant to be used alongside a shield. It's like versatile being on longswords and warhammers and the such.

If there were too many heavy weapons, the Lynian race wouldn't have any weapons they could use, so I made a compromise on what they could utilize.
>>
>>51468046

But anon, how else is everyone going to tell us how good we are at making fun classes and shit?

For everyone who wanted a bladelock, here you go; it's a goddamned motherfucking swarm-of-daggers'n'shit *teleports behind you* "nothin' personell kid" edgelord
>>
>>51468046
no u
>>
File: Polearm Guy Picture.jpg (58KB, 564x662px) Image search: [Google]
Polearm Guy Picture.jpg
58KB, 564x662px
Should attacking an enemy 10ft away through a friendly 5ft away be without disadvantage, disadvantaged, or add cover to the enemy?
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
5e2.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>51467698
>>51467800
Who in the fuck would play this character? Whoopee 1d6+dexterity modifier(because who the fuck would waste a feat on Sharpshooter in this circumstance) that you can probably only do once a combat because it requires a free hand to load a crossbow, unless you want to look like a retard bumbling over yourself and dropping your melee weapon to reload it, at the cost of needing to use a one handed weapon instead of a heavy weapon, dual wielding two one handed weapons, or even any of the benefits of one handing a weapon. It's not even style over viability because of said bumbling over yourself.

You could just use a heavy weapon, especially a polearm with polearm master to get that tasty bonus action attack, and keep a bunch of javelins around to throw if you find something you can't melee at that point.
>>
>>51468237
It's pretty clearly cover for the enemy. Not 100% sure what page that's on though.
>>
>throw "medium" difficulty encounter at party
>they plow through it
>throw "hard" difficulty encounter at party
>they plow through it
>throw "deadly" encounter at party
>they plow through it
Holy christ, I mix up enemy numbers, I mix up enemy types, no matter what I do my party never seems to get remotely close to danger. I'm afraid that if I go any harder, it'll tip and I'll accidentally TPK them.

>>51468237
I think it's cover.
>>
Can you dash on a Broom of Flying or a Flying Carpet?

I'm leaning on no, since you the broom itself doesn't have the action with which to use dash (right?), and the character isn't given the flying speed to dash themselves.

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>51464996
>"like the Toa Nuva did to the Bohrak-Kal"
I thought that was an odd thing to see referenced. But then I realized everyone who saw that as a kid are now adults old enough to run these campaigns and post on 4chan.
>>
>>51468275
Remember that action economy is a big factor in deciding how easy a fight is. How big is your party, and how many enemies are you generally throwing at them?

Rule of thumb is that with an even number of PCs and enemies, the PCs still have the advantage.
>>
>>51468286
I think you should be able to, I imagine that dashing on a broom equates to throwing caution to the wind and really throwing the throttle open.

>>51468300
I guess I'll try to stack things more agains their favour numerically.
>>
What's a fun, minor magical item or trinket that a level 1 party could find in a church?
First session is going to be them trying to save one of the party members from the clergy and I thought it'd be nice to give them a little memento for it.
>>
>>51468275
Throw a shit ton of enemies at them all at once, even if the enemies are weak.

Annoying as that may be, it's the best way to whittle down the HP of the party.
Letting them get long rests is another thing; unless it's a boss-level fight every fight, then rest, they're never going to be stressed in the least.
>>
>>51467081
Look through the Adventures folder for Lost Mine of Phandelver or Horde of the Dragon Queen, but there are some big early game balance issues for HotDQ so it might not be useful for you.
>>
>>51468333
http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/
>>
>>51467081
Like the other anons suggested, Lost Mines is great. I've run it for two groups and they both loved it.
It's quite a simple adventure, so it's easy to add or remove things to your preference, but the dungeons and encounters are really quite good for a low level campaign.
>>
>>51464974
How would you improve the Undying warlock archetype?
The 14th feature is really too weak, lifting the rest restriction seem too much though
>>
> people who hopping between campaign and bring in all the magic items with them

Doesn't help that some DM is shit at distributing reward.
>>
>>51468386
>http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/
Thanks.
And wow, first result seems like a good fit:

>Neutralizing Ring
>Wonderous item, uncommon (requires attunement), uncommon (requires attunement)
>Contains 1d4 unreplenishable charges of the Protection from Good and Evil spell (1st level).
>>
>>51468275
Need more infomation. What is your party class? Their strategy? How many combat per rest?
>>
File: 1371176633020.jpg (76KB, 476x399px) Image search: [Google]
1371176633020.jpg
76KB, 476x399px
>That one player who loots all the bodies, treasure, chests and then decides who to give it out to
>Will actively sell upgrades for other players if they have no worth to him
>Will sleight of hand items he doesn't want other players to know about
>The group is too passive to stop him

I mean I know I'm the DM but I'm not going to interfere in your groups beta dynamics.
>>
File: shrug.png (151KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
151KB, 500x309px
>>51468497
Normally I'd say you're a shit but if they're not even raising an issue...
>>
>>51468275
Other people have said it, but which ever party outnumbers the other gains a massive advantage.

Even if its just 1 person they gain something like 25% chance to win.

Think less one big enemy especially without legendary actions, and one medium enemy and lots of shit enemies that just get off free damage.
>>
Would it unbalance anything if I let a player change all the arrow crap in the Arcane Archer archetype to daggers? He wants to play a Soul Knife and it seems like a good way to do it.
>>
>>51468386

>Imaginary Steel
>Weapon (Longsword), uncommon (requires attunement)
>Once attuned, this weapon exists only in the bearer's imagination until held with intent to do harm. It becomes imaginary again after a short rest.

This is good
I will custom this and give it to one of my player, it fit perfectly for his deluding paladin
>>
>>51468521
Eh, I don't believe in interfering with their party.

I've even allowed pvp in the past, decided it isn't worth it anymore.
>>
File: awesome gaiden.gif (704KB, 150x113px) Image search: [Google]
awesome gaiden.gif
704KB, 150x113px
>>51468497
>low-ish level party
>defeat encounter
>party goes into loot mode
>cleric/rogue gets to some odd corner of the room
>discovers Bag of Holding
>Sleight of Hand check
>no one sees shit
>every player thereon out plays IC how cleric/rogue is so trusty worthy and would never hold out on the group

It was in good fun on both ends. [/spoiler\
>>
What is incapacitated condition even good for? Enemy can't use action or reaction, but it can still move and defense itself...
>>
>>51468677
> be an only mage in the party
> constantly detect magic onto party member
> start saying that the rogue has been charm/possesses/a devil in disguise if I saw an unfamiliar magical aura and convince the party to waterboard him.
> use the spell on loots to determine which one is worth having
No one ever trey to ninja'ed loot again
>>
File: average day in Quebec.png (211KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
average day in Quebec.png
211KB, 560x560px
What are you greatest PC accomplishments?

>Paladin/Sorc Multiclass
>ability scores are shit, don't really bring anything to the table except be a jack of all trades
>encounter a group of people stealing clean water from a town
>encounter them at night, two bandits being led by a succubus
>claims she needs the water for some ritual
>is killing the town slowly because of this
>attempts to charm me and our other Paladin
>bithc, who do you think we are.webm
>Land a crit with my warhammer with +0 STR mod becaue lmao 10 STR Score
>crit smite her ass for maximum damage
>Goes poof, immediately sent to the next world
>bandits run off terrified, we now have a decanter of endless water
>did so well for the first time in the campaign that the DM gives me insperation
>>
File: mxpmlncpIy1s2c9is.gif (8KB, 500x180px) Image search: [Google]
mxpmlncpIy1s2c9is.gif
8KB, 500x180px
What resources do you guys use for making maps?
More specifically world maps, not dungeon maps.
>>
>>51468678
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/03/manacles-vs-target/

This mean you can use manacle on incapacitate target without contest.
>>
>>51468805
http://inkarnate.com/
>>
Should I play a Fighter or Ranger for a trick knife thrower?

My DM said I can ignore the "Draw one weapon per turn thing" and I honestly just love knife throwers in games.
>>
>>51468882

College of Swords bard.
>>
>>51468882
Next problem:
Knife is still a melee weapon when you throw it.

So no archery fighting style and sharpshooter for you.
>>
>>51468925
Duelist fighting style or Two-Weapon Fighting would still apply, though.
>>
>>51469036
Both are SHIT! SHIT!! +10 damage or bust.
>>
File: 1481577518007.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1481577518007.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>51468882
I post this every chance I can get
>>
>>51468925
Once again. My DM is a cool guy and I'm specifically taking a weaker option, he said he'll let me do it.
>>
>>51468921
That bonus is pretty cool and I don't mind only making an awesome throw every now and then. Can the bard handle himself in combat with weapons most of the time though? With spells being used for buffing and whatever?
>>
Which class roll the most damage dice? Assassin seem boring after level 3.
>>
>>51469194
I'd imagine it involves Bugbear and Multiclassing Assassin and Fighter, or Assassin and Monk.
>>
Would-be new player here. There's a shitload of options for this game...I want to have at least the basics of a character together before I go looking for a game, because of how many options there are for it. I'm interested in doing a support class - I don't mind not doing anything flashy, so long as what I do makes the party overall be better. I was a bard in other games, but I'm a sperg and I know it, and making high charisma characters is awkward for both me and the DM. I'm not interested in being just a healer, because I know you can get wands and potions to just make my existence irrelevant - and even if they don't, the fact that they could would sit in the back of my head as I played. So, what would you recommend?
>>
File: 1399481598529.jpg (42KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
1399481598529.jpg
42KB, 500x308px
Worth having a PAM and Shield Master Paladin? Or that be silly?
>>
File: 1407299137885.jpg (53KB, 519x700px) Image search: [Google]
1407299137885.jpg
53KB, 519x700px
>>51468765
>Paladin/Rogue in a setting where Divine magic itself was going extinct
>Grim veteran of a war of extermination
>looking for redemption
>have a severe fear of loss due to unit dying off
>team up with knight-errant type kids wanting to be real Heroes
>decide to help out a real shitty town
>investigating obvious cultist murders
>figure out they're hold up in a warehouse
>we go in SWAT style
>doors everywhere, even the floor and ceiling
>it's all booby trapped
>Bone Naga monstrosity ambushes us, and I get stuck fighting it
>party tank gets attacked by a cultist doing Jedi flips and shit
>he goes down in one hit
>I go full Charlie's-in-the-trees mode
>run up
>jump check off a table
>"I smite!"
>one of the very first real nat 20's I've ever had
>max damage rolled
>DM basically gave me a speech out of the Silmarillion about how sick it looks as I basically cut the shadows themselves with my radiant sword
>knights are in awe, they thought I was a fighter
>tank is dying, so we gather up the kindling and alchemist supplies we had, and light that fucker up
>got arrested naturally, for the arson
>get dragged before Not!Masked Council of Waterdeep
>lawyer wants me dead for burning the Bank's property, mentions they didn't find the cultists (cuz they were ashes), etc
>"Your Honors, I am a Paladin. My honor is Law to me. I swear I did only what was right."
>Only one judge has Religion and Arcana
>He asks me to prove my Paladinhood
>I cast a spell to heal a sick farmer
>Court finds me Not Guilty on grounds of being a Paladin, and therefore justified in all my actions
>DEUS VULT INTENSIFIES

And that was the tale about how I Don Quixote'd an entire city and converted a wannabe merc band into the first Paladin Order founded in a century.
>>
>>51469249
I'd say Rogue, Bard, or Cleric. Each is good in their own area but can also brings a lot of things to the party, like skills and support magic.

Plus they're all fun
>>
>>51469297
Just make sure your stats are good enough before going for the combo.
>>
>>51469249
Go Cleric. Fun, powerful, and can fill any role in a pinch. Also, if you completely spaghetti you can chalk it up to living in a cloister until adulthood.
>>
>>51469249
You can do what the other anon said, or you could look at what I recently created homebrew wise. It is essentially a final draft.
>>
>>51469249
wizards can be pretty support focused. They can buff and debuff, control the field with aoe, turn the healer invisible or make the fighter fly. They've got a spell for anything, but usually have low CHA in favor of high INT.

Just try to have fun and don't sweat it. Play what looks interesting or fun to you.

If you're feeling adventurous, play a bard. They're the ideal support class AND you can use it as a way to be less spergy. Get outside your comfort zone a bit ya nerd
>>
>>51469312
>>51469324
> Rogue, Bard, or Cleric
Aren't those two charisma-based classes and a healer, at heart? That's exactly what I don't want...
>>51469331
> Homebrew
Do most GMs allow homebrew? I don't want to show up to my first 5e game with something that'll get me tossed back to the drawing board.
>>
>>51469137
Bards can handle themselves pretty well.

If you want to maximize your combat damage/utility, though, go 6 levels of bard (for Font of Inspiration and Extra Attack) and then go Rogue all the way after that.
>>
>>51469342
Ah, didn't realize you probably didn't know the GM. In that case no, don't bother showing up with homebrew first time. Cleric and Rogue are pretty good, in fact you could actually do a Mastermind Rogue from the Sword Coast book and pretty much become dick-ass thief support.
>>
>>51469249
> because I know you can get wands and potions to just make my existence irrelevant

This isn't pathflounder. Are you sure you are in the right general for your game system? You can't buy wand in 5e.
>>
File: how-could-this-happen-to-me.jpg (136KB, 645x687px) Image search: [Google]
how-could-this-happen-to-me.jpg
136KB, 645x687px
Running a Tunnel Fighter, Polearm Master Paladin. Should I take Sentinel or GWM at 8? I'm probably going to take Resilience at 12, but I'm not sure what has more value for this kind of build honestly.

Have a Doomguide with fucked up proportions as payment for your advice.
>>
Assassin 3 / Paladin X

How would it work? Is it like 4e Avenger?
>>
>>51469342
Clerics have the option of specializing in healing but aren't necessarily forced to. They're wisdom based and there are plenty of other spells you can swap out with for supportive magics. You'll still have access to those heals if you chose to prepare them but there are plenty of other domains like War, Tempest, and Arcane that really let you mix things up

Bards are indeed Charisma based but do everything you described to a tee. Might be time to leave the comfort zone anon
>>
>>51469341
I've played Bards before. It...Didn't quite work out for me. I'll consider Wizard - is there any specific archetype or whatever that I should look for?
>>51469362
I haven't played since mid-4e. Life got busy - I find it's best to learn by doing, but I also don't want to throw myself in without at least some chance to be useful.
>>51469355
> Mastermind Rogue
I'll definitely look into that, thanks!
>>
File: Americans be like.jpg (45KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
Americans be like.jpg
45KB, 550x412px
>>51469374
>4e
>>
>>51469374
Vengeance Paladin is supposed to literally be the Avenger.

>>51469382
>I'll definitely look into that
It allows you to bonus action grant people advantage and do other dick ass thief-y stuff while be a support. It's pretty cool.
>>
>>51469374
>>51469394
It doesn't quite hit the same mechanics as the Avenger but it's an alright substitute. It's missing the phasing through walls and unarmored/light armored aspects of its original incarnation.

Maybe Shadow Monk's teleport could help bridge the gap slightly but that's a 6 level dip.
>>
>>51466341
No one gets a crit because hypnotic gaze does not do that, otherwise initiative is a good quick resolver like >>51466408 said.
>>
File: change.jpg (91KB, 680x814px) Image search: [Google]
change.jpg
91KB, 680x814px
>>51469374
I'm playing that right now. I just hit Assassin 3/Paladin 5, you're more looking for instant novas but once you gain misty step at 8 it definitely begins to feel like a 4E Avenger.
>>
File: 1447082374291.jpg (80KB, 500x737px) Image search: [Google]
1447082374291.jpg
80KB, 500x737px
>>51468677
That shit never happened and you know it.

>rogue got to divy out loot one time
>decided to take more than she was meant to for herself
>entire fucking party throws a fit outside of the game about how she just stole from them
>tfw nobody will ever pretend they didn't notice something if it isn't beneficial
>>
>>51469534
I had a scenario like that. I was a Paladin and my buddy was a Fighter. We schemed to get the greedy cunt to die. Worked out as we split into two groups of three and the rogue was with us. Effectively we left him to die. I guess at the end we lost control of our greed against his greed.
>>
>>51469249
Also, stick to one of the approved races.

Human/Dwarf/Elf/Halfling/Gnome

No one wants to deal with you trying to RP a special snowflake whilst not knowing how to play your class.
>>
>>51469534
>>51469566
Honestly, anyone who betray their adventuring party's trust deserve to die.
You all stick together for a reason.
>>
>>51469566
As long as your characters had reason to hate the bastard. Mine had no clue she took a larger portion of the loot than she was meant to. This problem happens from time to time, like another game where the bard's player made a mean-spirited joke at my expense and the paladin's player decided in defense to not heal him for the rest of the day. I mean it was nice of him but what a dick. I didn't even get the chance to tell him it's fine before the bard's player jumped in, shouted META and triggered a campaign-ending shit-flinging contest.

Maybe pen & paper RPGs are really better to do over IRC. That or you should never play with your real friends.
>>
File: 1484662390506.png (1MB, 793x752px) Image search: [Google]
1484662390506.png
1MB, 793x752px
>Someone on my table says Half-Dwarves do not exist in the D&D universe and I can't use part-Dwarf (like 1/8th not even trying to get feats, traits etc.) as part of my flavour text for my character.
>His only proof is MUHTOLKEIN (we weren't playing a game set in the Middle Earth universe, if so I wouldn't have even proposed it as part of the character) and the Book of Erotic Fantasy
>Point out that the Book of Erotic Fantasy isn't official licensed material by WOTC and that half-dwarves exist in WOTC official material like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance and Dark Sun.
>DM who is my friend ruled in my favour whilst the person is just fuming since MUHHEADCANON
>Mfw

I wasn't even asking for any skills, feats, racial traits etc. it was just part of the flavour text that I wanted for the character to hate greenskins even more than usual.
>>
File: 1455242974568.gif (2MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1455242974568.gif
2MB, 512x384px
>>51469595
>tfw 6 months in half the party still don't trust each other and each have their own edgy loner backstories
>>
>>51469595
Yeah to get a certain job done and if one falls, get another replacement. What? You expect all PC's to all love each other without difference? That gets boring at times.
>>
>>51469613
>never play with your real friends

I ONLY play with my real friends for this reason. I know ahead of time they won't be complete cunts to each other, or if they are they understand that they have some shit coming their way in retaliation.
>>
>>51469619
Loyalty != love
You can hate someone but still loyal to them. Like your wife.
>>
File: 1411052065122.gif (982KB, 320x190px) Image search: [Google]
1411052065122.gif
982KB, 320x190px
>>51469595
>mfw my group are in small inner group factions with distrust for other players due to bonding experiences in the current campaign
>>
>>51465133
Then stop making threads.
>>
>>51469616
I bet you didn't do session 0
>>
>>51469655
Yeah, but I choose to marry my wife. I didn't exactly choose the guys with me for the job.
>>
>>51469614
fuck off fag, half-elves should be the only half-breeds that exist
>>
>>51468497
How do you even break that shit up as a player?
>>
File: 1484257570641.jpg (26KB, 500x441px) Image search: [Google]
1484257570641.jpg
26KB, 500x441px
>>51469670
How do good 0?
plaese
>>
>>51469692
Yeah they are worth having at brothels. About it.
>>
Is the accusation of 5e combat being stale and boring legitimate or is it more retards shooting their mouth off?
>>
>>51469670
We did not.

The session 0s I have done, the DM has told us we have to be friends/relatives already as part of our backstory.
>>
>>51469719
It feels as boring as standard D&D combat
>>
>>51469732
4e's is really fun though.
>>
>>51469614
Half-Dwarves don't exist in 5e.

all half breeds are the product of rape
>>
>>51469703
Its ez
>dm summaries setting, maybe lets players know a bit of the starting quest plot so they can do fitting backstories
>people spitball characters
>ideally this means you have a party of people actually from the setting that's balanced mechanically and roleplay-wise
>>
>>51469752
>>51469703
And people will less likely to make a loner when they realize it's not a special snowflake and everyone want to make one.
>>
>>51469752
Danke
>>
>>51469702
Simple get a player in who isn't afraid for confrontations RP wise and get him to personally to say fuck off and be ready to kill the one player. The ones who don't conform to group thinking are the best ones. They allow the more passive players to have an option to go with.
>>
>>51469719
I've played 3.5 and 4e and I like 5th the best. I think it really comes down to the DM though.

If you're always fighting in a big empty arena then yeah, the system with the most options is probably the one that wins.

As a DM I've found that 5e being less cumbersome and clunky allows me to focus more on making my encounters more dynamic and unique. My players have plenty of options but aren't overwhelmed with choice, so combat moves quickly for the most part.
>>
>>51469743
They are in the lore so I feel that you can use it as part of flavour text for a character since it was established in previous splatbooks that they atleast exist. I just don't expect to gain any benefits for having the flavour text.

>Implying four bearded muscular shortstacks wouldn't have their way with a human barmaid
>>
So I just made a LE level 1 artificer. Campaign starts and I have literally nothing, DM says that I have to earn the class benefits like everyone else. Problem is, the rogue found a dagger and the paladin found a sword so they just "earned" all their class benefits since all they need to effective is that.
How do I get enough gold to get my shit back? As an artificer I am proficient in like 6-7 different tools.
>>
>>51469807
Work or make contracts with other guys to sponsor you for things in return. You're a artificer, you can manage it.
>>
>>51469775
I guess I'll just spam command next time.
>>
>>51469703
This is how I go about it.
>>Recruitment period
>give the players a brief summary of the setting, game goals, and feel
>tell them that they can have a vague idea of class/race/personality, but not to develop anything further than that

>>Session 0
>get everyone to share their concepts
>pick an NPC: mentor, benefactor, whatever.
>Player 1 has to describe their relation to this NPC
>Player 2 has to describe how they met Player 1
>Player 3 has to describe how they met Player 2
>Player 1 has to describe how they met Player 3
>this is done through short roleplay vignettes
>then, a short vignette of the scene in which all of the characters come together for the first time
>as you go, pick skills/features that complement the scene/the other characters

This works best with good players, but then what doesn't?
>>
I'm currently playing a level 6 Eldritch Knight in Adventurers League and I can't help but feel that I'm falling behind in almost every department. Other classes seem to deal more damage while having more utility uses as well. Am I just playing this class wrong? The only things I have going for me are a high AC (that never matters due to enemy spellcasters) and the mobile feat booming blade combo (that only small, dumb threats seem to fall for). Is there any way to "fix" this character?
>>
>always like being a speshul snowflake and doing "cool" stuff in combat
>group went from 3 to 6
>now feel like I'm wasting time for other players when I try to combat rp and just play Gladius with a "move to good square, use attack action, turn over in 5 seconds" combat

Side note- Gladius is a great game, you should emulate it. It'd be a perfect 1:1 5e campaign.
>>
>>51469978
well level 7 EKnight ability is pretty dope

EKnight is all about versatility/tanking stuff. If you want to be a blaster shooting fireballs you're up the wrong tree. Get Shield, Absorb Elements, utility spells like Find Familiar etc

BB is a pretty sizeable loss in damage if you're using it over extra attack, but come level 7 you can use BB/GFB as a huge increase of damage for free basically, doubt you're really using that bonus action

Consider multi-classing Paladin maybe? Smites will greatly increase your damage. Need 13+ CHA tho
>>
>>51469970
I usually don't bother showing up for session 0 as a player as I rather do that stuff at home. I know what I want and it is what I shall pick regardless. Honestly your whole thing seems restrictive on the players individualism more in a favor for Party cover all fields type.
>>
>>51469978
Yeah EK isn't the greatest.
>>
>>51470071
I bet you "roll" you 3*18 stats at home too.
>>
>>51470071
Found the sperg.
>>
>>51469780
What would you recommend and what advice would you give to run interesting combat?
>>
>>51469978
> enemy spell casters
Why don't you kill them first?
>>
>>51470071
D&D is a group game.

If you can't commit to being a part of a group, you don't belong in my game. Want to fly solo and be your own individual character who don;t need no man? Play Skyrim or some shit where cooperation isn't at the literal core of the game design.
>>
>>51470150
Yeah I think videogames' balance where you are uniquely good at everything and the centre of the world is part of what drives this attitude towards tabletop Roleplaying. So much aversion to character weaknesses and working as a team.
>>
>>51469331
Tfw I used an image of Morgan for my HElf War Wizard
>>
>>51465194
>Not using GFB+Shillelagh Tomelock
>>
>>51470201
Sounds like someone who plays PF honestly.
>>
>>51470241
Morgan is a pretty cool dude/gal.
>>
>>51470257
I even deliberately left them as androgynous as possible

So guys, I got out of my first session in this campaign and my third session total. How crazy is it that our party for four 1st-level people were attacked by a copper dragon wyrmling?
>>
>>51470287
>CR 1
Not very. Why? Did you fuck up?
>>
>>51470032
I can do that at level 7? That might help in the damage department. I can probably choose a new non-evocation spell soon too.

>>51470129
We tried but except for one group of zombies we took down swiftly we only faced loads of spellcasters and a fighter.
>>
>>51470366
Because it rolled first in initiative, and instantly downed both our Fighter and Rogue, even though the Rogue was full health and made the save.

In fact, if it wasn't for the DM ignoring the massive damage rules, they both would've been killed.
>>
>>51470430
Eh massive damage is a variant thing anyway. The first few levels of the game aren't called rocket tag for nothing though.
>>
>>51467326
>>51468355
>>51468413

Thanks guys, looking into it, this'll probably be the one I'll end up running. /5eg/ always comes through.
>>
>>51469365
If you have PAM and Tunnel Fighter take Sentinel 100%. Want more value out of the unlimited AoOs tactically, you aren't hurting for damage, and being a paladin means you have tools to take advantage of the situations your feats allow you to be in.
>>
>>51470449
The worst part is that it got away partly because I had Fire Bolt and forgot about it's range, but at least it left a 'hoard' of 500 gold.
>>
>>51470115
Luck is too shit for that sadly, plus be boring.

>>51470150
Yes I understand it is a group game and having a dynamic without going lone wolf. Just find it odd being forced to pick a skill to balance it out. Hell if some got something that doesn't fit the situation to over come efficiently. There is the challenge in itself. Also why Skyrim when one can go to the amusement that is Daggerfall.
>>
>>51470578
You're not forced to pick anything, you pick skills that make sense in the context of your character, and in the context of your Session 0 interactions with the party in a way that makes you happy. It's not about having a perfectly balanced party, it's about having a party that fits together nicely: that might mean that some party members have overlapping skillsets.

Eg; two characters might both have a Performance skill as a way of connecting them, or one has Persuasion and the other Intimidation developing out of a good-cop bad-cop sort of thing.

Look at Han, Chewie, and Luke: they all have VERY similar skills, but balance with eachother well.
>>
>>51468590
Go ahead, won't change anything for the better I think. 1d6 or 1d8 dmg die to 1d4, longbows awesome range down to 20 or 30ft, that's it really. Seems like a fun idea, but he isn't gaining anything munchkin-wise.

Also have you changed the archetype at all? I think giving more arrows at later levels, like superiority dice, is a good idea.
>>
File: paladincharts2.png (42KB, 776x597px) Image search: [Google]
paladincharts2.png
42KB, 776x597px
>>51469365
Generally it's not worth bothering with GWM on a paladin, especially if you reach level 11.

Upping your stats is good, but I won't say sentinel is a bad idea if you don't feel like increasing stats.
>>
>>51464974
Is this a good Archer build?
Variant human (sharpshooter feat)
Assassin rogue with two-level dip into Revised Ranger (fighting style archer of course)
ASI's dedicated to raising dex to max
>>
>>51468677
>Trying to stop your party seeing a bag of holding

This either implies you'll never see the party again or you're afraid of helping the party out by letting everybody carry extra weight around.
>>
>>51470600
Hmm fair enough.
>>
>>51470743
>dip into UA ranger
As per usual, your DM should not let you take level dips into UA content, especially things like revised ranger that has an incredibly bloated level 1.
If your DM allows bullshit though, you might get away with it.

Other than that, I would suggest you go for 5 levels of fighter or 11 levels of fighter instead, pick up the archery style there where you can get two attacks and thus two chances of sneak attack.

Sharpshooter works much better if you have more attacks, and rogue only gets one that they really need to hit - sharpshooter is almost trash unless you engage in really long ranged combats.

The best way to use sharpshooter would be on a dex fighter with crossbow mastery as by level 11 they'll make 4 attacks.

Only problem with crossbow mastery is it conflicts with cunning action, but then you only need to cunning action when something gets close to you anyway, so eh.

I'd drop sharpshooter, take crossbow mastery instead so you have two attacks and then max out dex and go full rogue with either a level dip in fighter if your DM doesn't allow bullshit or a 2 level dip in UA ranger, but don't be afraid to take either ranger or fighter to 5 because they both give extra attacks.

Actually, oddly, PHB ranger can get 3 attacks with horde breaker + extra attack. Maybe UA revised ranger still does that.
>>
>>51470789
The DM is allowing UA content, so don't you worry about that part.

Campaign involves mostly long, open areas with fairly big and easily spotted enemies, where engaging (read: sniping) at 600 feet is ACTUALLY possible
Level range is from 1 to ~10-12, so i really only wanted to make a build that would be fairly nice for that range, yknow?
>>
>>51469342
Monk, open hand or shadow. Both give good options. Either that or warlock, since you can keep it simple and eldritch blast away and drop debuffs and illusions
>>
>>51470873
DM allowing UA content and DM allow dipping into UA content is two different thing.

I don't think UA ranger even has a rule for multiclassing (like stat requirement), so you can't actually do it by RAW.

RAI, we already know that UA wasn't written with multiclass balance in mind.
>>
>>51470873
I wouldn't get sharpshooter unless you take 5 levels of ranger and get crossbow mastery, which should then theoretically give you 2 attacks, 3 with bonus and 4 if you attack an enemy next to another enemy.

Archery is good to get, and crossbow mastery is good to get on rogue because it gives you an extra attack without multiclassing.

Then +dex otherwise helps.

So just take that how you will. And as for the UA comment, other anon has it right >>51470918
>>
Can someone ask Mearl in twitter about mystic UA again? We need an update!
>>
>>51467349
>Playing a monk/ arcana cleric

Gets down your knees bitches and greet my familiar Lord Fifth.
>>
>>51468590
It will lower the range and damage of the class without really compensating for anything, but if he's fine with that then it's all cool. Also, unless he starts throwing the knives a lot consider a different level 7 ability.
>>
What's the best Rogue Archetype and why is it Swashbuckler?
>>
>>51466248
The level 6 feature for other patrons is hardly so powerful. The level 6 feature should basically be situational or a ribbon
>>
>>51468677
Why do players care so much about a bag of holding?
Especially if the groups don't really go by encumbrance rules anyway. It's mostly a way to store your inventory like you're already doing, except now if the bag gets stabbed you lose everything.
>>
>>51469719
Everything is retards shooting their mouth off. It's up to you to decide which typewriter monkey script is shakespear and which is just shitfling.
>>
>>51469781
Four of them? Wouldn't that make some kind of double-dwarf?
>>
>>51470122
1. Monsters aren't just meatbags. They run, can be reasoned with, move around and pull off tactics of their own.
2. Environment matters.
3. Encourage players to actually use other things they're allowed to do like 'action to dodge' and avoid shutting down any player's attempt at something cool in combat, providing it's somewhat reasonable or you can strike a compromise. If someone wants to cut the ropes to a bridge and try to smash it mid-combat, you should be prepared to welcome that.
4. As per above, improvisation.
5. Crit success, crit fails. I know people will hate for this one, but if you do these sensibly (not 'your weapon flies off and falls into a chasm) they can develop a combat rather than feel like you're fucking over a player by introducing something like 'you've just knocked the priceless ming vase off balance! It's going to fall by next round!'
6. It's also down to the players to not be boring as fuck, I guess.
>>
Playing a Tomelock, with Spell Sniper I have 8 cantrips. I took EB, Friends, Mage Hand, Mending, Minor Illusion, Shadow Whip, Shocking Grasp, and Vicious Mockery. Does this look like a solid list of cantrips?

>What is Shadow Whip?
It's a spell from a 3rd-party Rogue archetype, it's Thorn Whip, but deals cold damage and the creature gains the grappled condition for 1 round.
>>
Can a Warlock's Pact Weapon be Shillelaghed?
>>
>>51470982
>>51470711

I was thinking of changing it to he can draw as many knives as he wants in a turn at 7th level and increase the die to 1d6. Also changing the amount of Arcane Arrows he gets equal to INT or WIS modifier
>>
File: 1fztog[1].jpg (77KB, 330x497px) Image search: [Google]
1fztog[1].jpg
77KB, 330x497px
Hey 5e General,

I'm new to the system and just going to get started with my first character. For the most part things are pretty clean and straightforward, but I've just got a few questions.

First is Dwarf subraces: I'm looking at making a Cleric and I want to go with Mountain Dwarf for flavour more than anything, but the Hill Dwarf +1 Wis is hard to turn down for a cleric. One thing that has me on the fence about going Hill Dwarf is how Dwarven Armour Training works. Obviously proficiency bonus doesn't add/stack, and Cleric would give light/medium proficiency. So is this racial bonus of no actual benefit for me? I know that if a background has you double down on skill or tool proficiency, you just take a different one, but how does this work for weapons/armour? If it's lost, that's a huge bummer!

Second, are any domains considered particularly great/awful? I was looking at Knowledge as an ancestor-worship kind of thing, but I see that the Unearthed Arcana also has a Forge domain which sounds particularly dwarfy. How do these stack up?

Any and all replies appreciated!
>>
>>51465326
Elves are brits, Drow are Australians
>>
>>51468925
Just use darts and say they're knives.

Problem solved.
>>
>>51471335
I don't know much about Dwarves or Clerics, but I know that where Drow Weapons Training and Rogue proficiencies overlap, you don't gain anything by it, you just don't get extra proficiencies.

I presume Dwarven Armour Training and Cleric proficiencies work the same.
>>
>>51471264
For what purpose?
>>
>>51471264
I can't see any way you would get anything except WIS on it but sure.
>>
>>51471335
Unfortunately you gain no benefit from getting weapon/armour proficiency a second time, so it is a 'waste'

Most of the domains are alright, some are better than other, but the one thing you want to look at is the 8th level feature. Domains with 'Potent Spellcasting' will be more focused on your spells while Domains with 'Divine Strike' Will be more focused on you getting in the fray

As for the Forge Domain, it is a really solid option. Very flavorful and mechanically strong.
>>
File: 126880261846.jpg (354KB, 660x550px) Image search: [Google]
126880261846.jpg
354KB, 660x550px
>>51471335
Adding on that for ancestor-worship ideas I'm also curious for any thoughts on the Grave domain.

>>51471408
I assume it's the same then. A bit of a bummer, but oh well. Thanks!
>>
>>51471426
>>51471416
Mostly curiosity.
>>
>>51471335
Forge happens to work excellently with dwarf, since it doesn't get martial weapon proficiency by default (and apparently this was on purpose...)

Clerics are pretty versatile, their domains grant a lot of early power compared to most archetype options, so the one you pick will be decently important. Most of them are pretty good options so it's really up to how you want to play, but forge is a really flavorful dwarf option.
>>
>>51471426
>People STILL haven't read the book
Pact of the tome has an errata that states that the cantrips you choose count as warlock spells for you. That means shillelagh that works off CHA.
>>
>>51471492
Use that with your pact weapon nigga. Oh wait you fucking can't because you only get one.
>>
>>51471492
You're the one who didn't read senpai, he can't take pact of the tome if he's already going bladelock.
>>
File: dwarvenwork.jpg (100KB, 1278x437px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvenwork.jpg
100KB, 1278x437px
>>51471443
Ah, cool! It's nice that things are organized this way, it really helps readability across options when you're just looking at them on paper. As a dwarf, I suppose I'm not looking to go for Potent Spellcasting options, so I'll probably be going with Forge domain after all. And to hell with it - Mountain Dwarf anyway! Thanks for the input!
>>
>>51471492
Perhaps it is you that hasn't read the book.
>>
>>51466388
>>51470987
Shit, that's news for me. My 6th level features, or at least Shapeshifter's, is too strong in that case.

Well, there is a reason for it, but it's not a good one. I had a fifth feature at 10th level originally. Hmm, now that I think about it, should I cut down on the features and actually retrofit the features to be at 3, 6, 10 and 14 (Like the Warlock has), or should I keep it at 3, 6, 14, 18 (The original Sorcerer)?
The Warlock way would make the last five levels' only worth be 8th and 9th level spells, where as the current has an utility dip in from 6-14...

How should I rebalance this? Just come up with something new for Shapeshifter's 6th and push the current 6th to 14th?

In a lesser way, the Conduit's 6th level, while giving survivability (reaction to get damage reduction on spells) is kind of still in the realm of ribbon. I was suggested to make it a choice to take disadvantage on the saving throw to absorb the spell, but even though savants are less squishy than wizards, they still can't take too many spells until going down.

Suggestions?
>>
Would a fighting style that lets small characters use heavy weapons without disadvantage be sufficient on it's own? Or would it need to do something more than that?
>>
What's the best weapon to use a barbarian?
>>
>>51471609
Greatsword or Maul without PAM, Glaive, Pike or Halberd with PAM
>>
>>51471609
SHORT
SWORDS
>>
>>51471508
Not him but nice statement with empty evident that support your argument dude. You totally show him.
>>
Watched a bit of Encounter Roleplay, lads. He has actually pretty good content and he runs an ace game.
>>
>>51471726
Not anyone in this argument apart from the original question asker, but his evidence is that if you take Pact of the Tome (and thus get CHA for other class cantrips) then you can't also have a Pact Weapon as they're mutually exclusive, rendering any Tome errata pointless.
>>
>>51471786
6 level in lore bard. Warlock is only good for dipping anyway.
>>
>>51471811
That's a workaround, but not what the "People still haven't read the book" guy was suggesting.

It's also entirely pointless, given Pact Weapon doesn't have any advantages unless you dip Warlock for at least five levels, but it was a pretty pointless question in the first place.
>>
>>51471861
Bladelock is pretty pointless.
>>
>>51471609
If you go TWF then Shortswords, otherwise Greatswords.
>>
>>51471878

In my case, it synergises well with Swashbuckler Rogue for Sneak Attack + Lifedrinker damage + Pact Weapon + Pact Weapon + off-hand weapon.

It's not optimised by any means, but it's a good class combo for utility and I'm having fun.
>>
File: fuck 2.gif (401KB, 245x244px) Image search: [Google]
fuck 2.gif
401KB, 245x244px
>try to do Artificer survey
>every section is limited to 200 words
>I wrote a thousand words of suggestions in each section.
>>
Question; if a descrition says that something must roll a save or take [x] damage, with no mention of what happens on a successful save, does that mean they take no damage at all if they succeed? An example of this would be the Sacred Flame cantrip.
>>
>>51472033
It depends on what it is, doesn't it?
Generally it's half, because Evasion is a key class ability, but a DM has discretion.
What specific example are you asking about?
>>
>>51472033
It's no damage on save unless stated otherwise.
>>
>>51471134
>3rd party rogue archetype
>stealing cantrips from an archetype-unique cantrip that is clearly better than its counterpart

How about no

But considering warlock isn't exactly super optimal anyway and it's instead of eldritch blast I'd probably let you get away with it anyway.
>>
>>51471609
Greataxe, because of bonus critical dice.
>>
>>51471284
I'd make it so that at 7th lvl his knives are considered magical as well for immunities, and yea INT mod seems good. Then at least someone in the party won't dump INT.
>>
>>51472033
Generally it's no damage unless stated otherwise since it'd mention if it was take half damage e.g. Arms of Hadar
>>
>>51472202
Alright sweet. He really wanted to play his old soulknife but we were sick of waiting for mystic take 3. Doubted it would have it as well.
>>
Here's a little puzzle I'll be facing.

I'm a 8th level wizard who specializes in illusions. Great fun tying the bad guys up in knots while my allies chop them up. Now we seem to be facing nothing but demons and the stronger ones have Truesight which allows them to see through all my illusions.

Am I totally screwed? I'm thinking perhaps while they can see through illusions, it could be possible to trick them with non-visual illusions? Any examples? They seem resistant to all my magic too. Can I please get some advice?

Thanks
>>
>>51472267
Well we're getting order of Knives in the full release
>>
>>51472301
Truesight shouldn't work against auditory illusions,yes. But possible solutions to that are circumstance-based, such as if you can fool one into thinking there's a minotaur around the corner or the party's coming around from the wrong way.

And you're a wizard, you're not screwed at all because you have things you can do aside from illusions.

If your DM insists on screwing you over by saying 'all enemies from now on are illusion immune' then that's just your DM being a faggot, then.

Also, truesight usually has a limited range. If it doesn't, your DM's a faggot. You can fool them with illusions at longer ranges.

>resistant to all magic
Okay, actually, yeah, I suppose if not just your illusions are shut down but most spells as well you're in a tricky spot, but you can focus on magic that either aids your allies (enlarge person, haste), helps outside of combat or can't be saved against. For example, fog cloud or magic missile has no save. Also since they're not devils they won't have devil's sight, so darkness could work too. Of course, it affects you too, but eh, if you have a warlock who can see through it or you're trying to sneak past the demon, it'd work.
>>
>>51472301
>>51472505
Never forget to be creative.
Being immune to magic doesn't stop you from using Telekinesis to repeatedly bash them with a giant fuckoff hammer, for example.
>>
>>51464974
>no title

i thought we were past this
>>
File: barbarianoptionslevel5.png (49KB, 707x594px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianoptionslevel5.png
49KB, 707x594px
>>51472179
This is wrong, because not only is your damage less reliable and swingier but you need at least 3 bonus crit dice for it to become worth it over a greatsword, considering a greatsword just flat out deals more damage.

However, greataxe is the most fun.

>>51471609
See this chart and decide for yourself.

Don't forget halberds have reach, quarterstaves can be used with shields and shortswords can be used with dexterity and sneak attack.
>>
>>51472585
Now I think about it, would a magic resistant monster have advantage against Catapault or Grease?
>>
>>51472621
Personally I prefer axes, because they are more iconic for barbarians.
And my lvl 12 Bear/Tiger Totem Barbarian deals pretty good damage with his +2 Vicious Greataxe
1d12+5+2+3+10 = 1d12+20 on regular hits,
or
3d12+5+2+3+10+7 = 3d12+27 on critical hits.
Though his weapon is custom, not from regular list of magic items.
>>
>>51472630
I think so. But Conjure X is a safe spell to use against them.
>>
File: tortoise on leash.jpg (43KB, 564x407px) Image search: [Google]
tortoise on leash.jpg
43KB, 564x407px
Tortoise slave, wat do?
>>
File: 1485547333603.png (605KB, 697x699px) Image search: [Google]
1485547333603.png
605KB, 697x699px
>>51472689
>magic items that are pretty much
>you get +2 to hit
>you get +2 to damage
>you get +7 to crit damage

Feels like not playing 5e. Feels like playing 4e.
>>
>>51472630
Depends on the GM.
In my game? Neither would get any resistance, because one is using magic to make something go fast and then physics does the rest, and the other creates a slippery thing... and then physics does the rest.
But, as always, your mileage may vary. Talk to your GM about it.
>>
>>51472707
This is why I tend to focus on giving them cool toys with unique embellishments over strictly superior equipment, my dude.
>>
>>51472689
> Be a Moon Druid
> No magic item that work during wild shape
G..guess I'll just spam my 18d6 dragon breath every 3 round
>>
>>51472707
More like 3e, because we played it for years.
never tried 4e, because we were too disgusted by it.
>>
File: 1385421943271.jpg (204KB, 780x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1385421943271.jpg
204KB, 780x1024px
What's the tier list for classes in 5e?
>>
>>51472887
All are assuming you can't multiclass, since Assassin is a pretty bad class to take to 20 but is a godlike dip

God tier:
Bards, wizards, druids

Good tier:
everything else

Bad tier:
PHB ranger
>>
>>51472887
Elder god tier:
Divination Wizard, Lore Bard

SS tier:
Bard,Paladin,Wizard,Druid,Cleric

Great and fun tier:
All the rest not mentioned

What is this shit tier:
PHB Ranger, Wot4E Monk
>>
Would you rather have a maximum potential of 48 damage across three hits (with at least 10 damage guaranteed if you hit with one of 2/3 attacks or 1 damage if you hit with the 1/3),

OR

A maximum potential of 53 damage across two hits (with a minimum of 10 damage if you hit with the first attack or 1 damage on the second)?
>>
>>51472938
Average damage at 60-65% to hit is where it's at. You don't theory craft with max damage.
>>
Would the damage boost from undying light warlock or fire dragon sorcerer apply to the paladin's searing smite?
>>
LMoP
Gave my players two magic mushroom potions that act like a weaker deck of many things.

>clear out the cave, killing everything
>doesn't negotiate for sildars life, captures a goblin as a guide, break its fingers and legs.
>goes into the town, immediately picks a fight with redbrands.
>meets a creepy man at a tavern that gives them magical mushrooms
>they sleep at the tavern, the captive goblin is shot by an arrow
>player feeds the goblin a magic mushroom potion
>the goblin becomes a giant, pushes all the rooms off the 2nd floor including al other players
>they fight the giant goblin, barbarian nat20s a dex dodge as the goblin sweeps his arm and climbs up to his head
>punctures the giant goblins artery, killing it
>they leave town, circle around to a secret entrance to the red brand hideout
>kill glassstaff
>barbarian, Jo, drinks his magic potion
>nega Jo, Oj has been realized into existence and wants to kill jo, somewhere in the world.
>>
File: [HONKING SPIRAL ENERGY].gif (128KB, 209x193px) Image search: [Google]
[HONKING SPIRAL ENERGY].gif
128KB, 209x193px
>>51469308
Incredible. Why are Paladin so fun?
>>
File: IMG_0383.png (438KB, 1132x1020px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0383.png
438KB, 1132x1020px
>>51473027
>Nega Jo
>OJ
>>
File: doppelganger apparition.jpg (254KB, 925x768px) Image search: [Google]
doppelganger apparition.jpg
254KB, 925x768px
>>51473027
When they fight, make them explode every time their blades meet or when they touch in any way. It does no damage to them, but everyone around them takes a reasonable amount of lightning damage.
>>
>>51472921
Forgot wot4e in bad tier.
>>
>>51472621
>least 3 bonus crit dice for it to become worth it over a greatsword, considering a greatsword just flat out deals more damage.
It's about 2 extra dice if you have advantage. It floats around depending on your chance to hit.
>>
>>51472887
Tier 1: Druid, Wizard, Bard, Paladin, Cleric, some multiclasses
Tier 2: Rogue, Warlock, Barbarian, Artificer, a few other multiclasses
Tier 2.5: Monk, Fighter, Sorcerer, Ranger, most multiclasses
Tier 3: Idiocy cases (Poorly built bladelocks, monks, PHB beastmaster rangers, Jesus Fuck What Are You Doing - The Multiclass, etc)
Tier 4 - Idiots who think rolling for stats is a good idea in 5e.

As such anybody not being an idiot will make a perfectly viable character.
>>
>>51473379
If I remember right the difference with advantage with 2 extra dice is negligible and definitely not worth having extremely swingey damage that's much more likely to overkill.
And I guess if you don't have advantage that's different, and if you have almost no chance to hit at all then greatsword's extra damage matters a bit less.
>>
So I'm making a character who is going to be Warlock/Paladin. He's a former delinquent who was given a second change by the undying light to be a, only problem is he's still a jackass. He's going Tomelock and going to use a Shillelagh with a club shaped as a baseball bat. He's a variant human and his feat is going to be War Caster, any advice on how to boost my melee damage aside from SCAG cantrips?
>>
>>51473430
Is Fighter 2/Wizard 6 in Tier 1?
>>
>>51473430
What multiclasses are good?
>>
>>51465103
This. Same thing happens with my DM.
We went from level 1 to 6 trap in a pocket dimension outside time. And with exact knowledge how to get out. We are working with "Save the gnome, save the world" kind of thing
>>
>>51473465
probably an obvious answer and i'm just not getting the abbreviation, but what are SCAG cantrips
>>
>>51473465
What DM allows warlock paladin flavor wise?
>>
>>51473513
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
>>
File: 1377231713853.png (253KB, 679x632px) Image search: [Google]
1377231713853.png
253KB, 679x632px
I'm a necromancer and I want to trick out my skeletons with the best armor possible. Is there RAW that says I can't stick them in chain shirts and shields?
>>
>>51473531
paladins don't gotta be good, they just gotta take an oath in something. unless they're an oathbreaker. Oath of Conquest paladins are in fact favoured by Bel. He's got his own cohort of Hell Knights.
>>
>>51468286
Maybe allow dash if they're flying downward like a dive bomber
>>
>>51473534
ah right, makes sense. Tomelock can take cantrips from other spell lists right? You got true strike? Guidance from the Druid spell list is also pretty useful just generally.
>>
WHERE ARE THE UAs EGGMAN
YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE UA
>>
File: Smokin' Sick Spook.jpg (431KB, 900x847px) Image search: [Google]
Smokin' Sick Spook.jpg
431KB, 900x847px
>>51473544
I made my first necromancer recently and my DM allowed me to trick them out in regular armor, since he ruled that Skeletons are still described as being humanoid.
Just slap some Half-Plate on them and go to town.
>>
>>51473581
There will
be no
UA today
>>
>>51473595
Half-Plate costs dough, though
>>
File: undying light.png (18KB, 826x133px) Image search: [Google]
undying light.png
18KB, 826x133px
>>51473531

Undying Light seems like a good match paladin.
>>
>>51473581
been moved again, didn't you hear? it's coming out on the 6th now.
>>
>>51473595
Go the extra mile and coat their bones in adamantium or something.
Bling those fuckers out.
>>
>>51473610
send your skellymen out to fetch gold then. start a mining venture. or get them to mug people. you don't even have to be directly in harm's way, or really even lift a finger to help.
>>
>>51473581
>>51473601
>>51473616
BUT THERE WASNT ONE LAST WEEEEEEK
>>
>>51473629
well maybe help them out too. You wouldn't be so cruel as to send them out without some ample protection from the elements would you? They are still humble skeleton minions at the end of the day.
>>
>>51473621
>Coat your skellymen in adamantium
>Suddenly they all develop claws
>>
>>51473629
>Necromancer who uses his power to acquire currency instead of killing peasants

I like it
>>
>>51473643
Well sure, lemme just wrap my unfeeling, mindless skeletal minions in coats and scarves, and mittens. and when they get back from their hard day's labour i'll give them a hot chocolate that they can pour down their ribcage. then i'll tuck them in to sleep and kiss their cold, musty cheeks goodnight, ,and leave them to lie there for 8 hours because they don't actually sleep.

Necromancers who do that shit are basically crazy cat people but with corpses instead of cats.
>>
File: 1344664864495.jpg (17KB, 524x299px) Image search: [Google]
1344664864495.jpg
17KB, 524x299px
>>51473647
>>
File: [Reporting Intensifies].gif (601KB, 718x608px) Image search: [Google]
[Reporting Intensifies].gif
601KB, 718x608px
>>51473661
You leave my chef Bon-Appetite out of this. He very much enjoys his cot and chef hat.
>>
>>51473616
>>51473601

Source, please?
>>
>>51473531
Undying Light is a positive entity that wants to beat back the darkness, it's aligns perfectly with Oath of the Ancients.
>>
>>51473695
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/825115698502307845
>>
>>51473493
Yeah, sure. It has enough wizard and figher levels take away their main weakness of low AC if your DM bullies you a lot.

>>51473497
Barbarogue, sorlock, paladin-warlock, fighter-wizard, many UA abuse multiclass dips that hould never be allowed, paladin-sorcerer, paladin-bard.
>>
>>51473661
>>51473685
I'm imagining a necromancer's council that is severely divided on the opinion of whether or not to treat their minions with the respect that living creatures deserve. It'd probably be a big issue, what with some necromancers just considering them bags of meat because of the lack personality or sapience, but others think they need to be treated with the respect any living person deserves
>>
>>51473725
How would you rank multiclasses by fun?

Currently doing Swashbuckler Rogue 3(maybe 4)/GOO Warlock X and the damage is low but the utility is pretty solid and it's hella fun.
>>
>>51473715
Thank you.

Gosh darnit.
>>
hey do the Sun monk radiant sun bolt create light? If one was fired of a dark corridor will it light the place?
>>
Everyone should houserule that undead heal from necrotic damage so that Evocation Lichs are unstoppable at level 14
>>
>>51473791
what reason would you have to make an unstoppable lich?
>>
Should artificers be able to spend gold to craft "charges" into the items they make? Lokenrobe of useful things.
>>
>>51473834
Because fuck the PCs?

That's reason enough.
>>
>>51473858
that's not how you play the game though. I mean, unless your players are literally completely composed of that guy, why would you want to fuck them over like that?
>>
Need some help with darkness combat.

Basically I had my PCs attack randomly unless they heard / felt something.

I was really unprepared for magical darkness combat.

A player was also being passive aggressive trying to quietly explain the rules to another player instead of telling me, as I had bugbears run into the room, two of them hit a wall and took minor bludgeoning damage.
>>
What would you categorize a Cloak of Mage Armor, an uncommon or rare magic item?
Additionally, if you're making a magic item what do you usually try to do with them? I'm thinking about making some so I don't have to spend spell slots on casting them, like Wand of Magic Missile.
>>
>>51473893
Not being able to understand sarcasm is a surefire sign of autism.

My condolences.
>>
>>51473772
The warlock utilities are fun but I'm not seeing any unique fun gimmicks you're getting from that. Just some high initiative and suchlike.

>>51473791
>you are healed by wither, decay and loss of life
That doesn't even make sense
>>
>>51473904
It's a +1 studded leather armor that gets around proficiency issues. That's worth a rare with attunement required IMO. It would be like a +1 armor that granted a (crappy) feat.
>>
>>51473909
You see, the thing is, understanding sarcasm through text is hard, especially when you don't realise SOME DM'S ARE ACTUALLY LIKE THAT.
>>
File: SLAAAAAAAAAVES.png (137KB, 345x314px) Image search: [Google]
SLAAAAAAAAAVES.png
137KB, 345x314px
>>51473615
I'm mad. This has to be the most retarded subclass option presented so far, and not even because it's "good" (because it is not, Positive energy is not really inherently good), but because it just doesn't match the overall flavour of the class
>At 1st level, you have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being of your choice
>Your patron is not a specific entity, but the energy that radiates from the Positive Plane.
>you struck a deal with a being
>except this one is not a being
It's self-contradictory. How can it even qualify as a patron if it doesn't have consciousness or intelligence of its own? You wouldn't be able to even commune with this kind of patron, and I can't imagine what kind of mutually beneficial deal you can make with a Plane of Energy aside from "be nice protect lyfe", which isn't a real bargain. Judging from the flavour text, you just connect to it like a battery. How is this Warlock-y, even? Fundamental forces can't and shouldn't be patrons, it's like making a pact with Gravity. Look at Shadow Origin, it's almost the same shit (because its from the same UA, duh!) flavour-wise, but sort of in reverse. It'd have been fine if it was worded as "an entity from the Positive Plane" or even "an angel", but as is, its more fitting for it to be a wizard tradition or a sorc origin.
And what pains me the most is that it's actually the only fucking warlock patron that offers a different playstyle while simultaneously opening you an invocation slot you don't have to waste on Agonizing Eldurr Blast.
/autism
>>
>>51473914
>unique fun gimmicks you're getting from that

Mostly just pushing people around with Repelling Blast, then Sneak Attacking them, and a flurry of attacks with Thirsting Blade and an off-hand weapon.

It's not great, but flavour-wise, it's interesting.
>>
>>51473894
It honestly sounds like you dont know the rules, and your player probably did and it was annoying to him how you were running that encounter.

Darkness doesnt mean you are completely helpless. In fact, it just gives the blinded condition, which gives disadvantage. Not only that, but cretures that are also within the darkness are NOT hidden, meaning you know exactly where they are. You can justify this by saying you can hear them moving around and such. The way you should have ruled it was how the rules work: your players have the blinded condition, giving them disadvantage, and can still target and attack things as normal.

Giving them bludgeoning damage for walking into a wall is idiotic as hell and you should feel dumb for doing that.

You mentioned bugbears, you didnt give the bugbears their surprised bonus damage just because of the darkness, did you? Thats not how surprise works.
>>
>>51474002
You don't have strike a fucking bargain to be a Warlock, it's enough to draw power from something, somewhere; most GOO patrons are like this since they are unaware that the Warlock even exists in the first place.
>>
Even though everyone is pushing hard for hurr hurr classes are balanced now, what are your opinions on top three classes? Or if you feel like you still couldn't pick those, WORST three classes?

Monk is useless (aside from Stunning Strike), Ranger is useless, and Barbarian is a trap (it's not SHIT, but Paladin or Fighter do everything but better)
>>
>>51473904
>making magical items
Considering magical items are often direct upgrades to your character that hardly ever get lost, it's very much DM dependent, so it's barely a topic.

As a DM designing magic items though, I aim for magic items to be things that make people think, that rewards creativity instead of 'I use this sword instead of my old one from now on' and provides utilities nobody could do until now, or that have a wide breadth of possibilities. Either that or they're consumable, to turn the tide of a battle.
>>
>>51474036
>Monk is useless (aside from Stunning Strike), Ranger is useless, and Barbarian is a trap (it's not SHIT, but Paladin or Fighter do everything but better)

Literally none of that is true. You should really read the book, or do some math or something, because youre just straight wrong.
>>
>>51474022
With levels of EK you could eldritch blast and then make a weapon attack you could sneak attack with.

It's a bit silly, probably worse than just being a sorlock, but fun.
>>
>>51474002
It can be a being, if you want. Just gotta be good. Angels, etc. Stuff from the celestial planes. Warlock patrons have a lot of variety as long as they match your pact's theme.
>>
Should an amulet of protection which gives +1 to dex/con/wis saving throws require attunement
>>
>>51474051
He's not straight wrong. He's not even gay-wrong.

Paladins shit all over other martial classes. Their buffs are out of this world.

Wizard/Bard/Druid/Cleric > Paladin > the rest
>>
>>51473929
Okay, thanks. I'm not so good at thinking about the equivalents of equipment.
>>51474041
I'm playing an artificer so it's going to be my thing, and going on what's suggested in the downtime section in the DMG.
>>
>>51474085
Not if youre playing the game as written, with 6 to 8 encounters per day. Then pally just becomes a shitty fighter with an aura. Their aura sounds great on paper but its very small and honestly not that impactful. When youre talking pure class balance paladin really isnt that much better than any other pure class.
>>
>>51474036
Monk isn't bad, it's just limited and not very versatile. That's why it's often low tier.
Ranger has their niches too, even if it's PHB ranger and it's not the best. Mostly AoE damage and that horde breaker thing with a tiny bit of utility compared to fighter. .. So mostly pretty useless unless it's UA, in which case it's actually good at its job.
Barbarian excels at the job it fills as a 'tanky fighter', and is great for multiclassing. However, it's kinda meh beyond level 5 and still inflexible, so unless you multiclass for the front-loaded rage stuff it does fall off a bit.

Sorcerer is the truly, truly bad one. It has the smallest niche of all - metamagicing spells. You can twin haste or something. Great! And that is great, but it's not as big a deal as barbarian's tanky niche or wolf barbarian advantage to fucking everything melee. It's overshadowed by everything else by wizard - Not because sorcerer doesn't keep up with damage and such normally, but the things it's good at wizard almost always does better, and it's inflexible.
>>
>>51474113
>pally just becomes a shitty fighter with an aura

Hahahahahaha

hahahaha

hahah
>>
>>51474123
>I dont have an argument so ill just type lol repeatedly

Good discussion friend.
>>
>>51474028
The bugbears were running in through a doorway when suddenly blinded. The players were outnumbered and I opted to use that as a way to lower the actions. I didn't give any surprise damage, I gave the characters nothing since they were blinded against blind creatures. The player didn't message me or tell me the rules, which I asked him to do if he saw me doing something wrong, I was really unprepared for darkness combat.

So basically they can still determine where they are in darkness through sound smell and memory?
>>
>>51474121
What kills me is that they errata'd stuff that made these classes not trash.

Twinned Scorching Ray-rapist was a one trick pony for sorcerer but still very fun.

And Four Element Monk getting robbed of Water Whip is PURE fucking bullshit. It's LITERALLY all they had.
>>
>>51474036
>>51474051
>>51474085
He's just shitposting for the (You)s
>>
>>51474055
Probably true, but I was going full Rogue until my DM forced me into Warlock for story reasons.

I'm making the best of a bad situation, but at least it's fun.
>>
>>51474092
There's a reason they made artificer get items as part of their class levels. It's because magic items are very much like class features, except you attain them often when the DM says 'Okay, here, have this to boost your power level'.
At least the DMG ones anyway.

I mean, sure, the DM can decide to give their players free reign over giving themselves power boosts with the exception the DM can try to limit their money and time, but...

Ech. Magical item crafting is best left as part of a plotline. 'We've recovered the remains of this ancient sword, now we can work on it to restore it' rather than 'I'm going to make a fucking sword because I feel like it, screw you DM.'
>>
>>51474129
He's laughing because you're fucking retarded. Paladin isn't good because of the aura, or Lay on Hands.

It's good because of Multi-attack + Smite.
>>
>>51474136

yep, use this for help with stealth/darkness rules:
http://pastebin.com/ZJYeFu0w

One important thing to remember is that being HIDDEN is not the same as not being seen. Just because someone cant see you doesnt mean you are hidden. For example, if you use invisibility on yourself, everyone still knows where you are, unless you ALSO hide, which takes an action (or a bonus action if youre a rogue with cunning action)
>>
File: warlocks.png (140KB, 289x183px) Image search: [Google]
warlocks.png
140KB, 289x183px
>>51474030
>You don't have strike a fucking bargain to be a Warlock
>Creating a warlock
>As you make your warlock character, spend some time thinking about your patron and the obligations that your pact imposes upon you.
>Otherwordly patron
>At 1st level, you have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being of your choice
Nice not-sorcerer headcanon
>since they are unaware that the Warlock even exists in the first place.
MAY be unaware. And even that, it's made exclusively for the muhcthulhumythos flavour, and shouldn't be applied as a rule of the thumb to other patrons.
>>
>>51474160
Which as I said isnt that great when following the encounter guidelines as written with 6 to 8 encounters per day. Which of the 8 encounters are you going to use your 3 smites on? Or are you basing class balance around single turn nova potential?
>>
>>51474136
The rules for blindness, obfuscation, darkness and fighting in such conditions are really unintuitive in this edition. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>51474174
To be fair, if you're making a pact with the non-sentient concept of light, it's probably not gonna notice you.
>>
If I ever want to be reminded of how much /tg/ sucks at using class features, I just have to read about Paladins and Monks here.

>not using Find Steed with Mounted Combatant
>using Divine Smites all the time instead of situationally
>ignoring every Monk feature past level 6
>saying Monk damage doesn't scale past level 5 and ignoring Martial Arts
>>
>>51474160
>things that make a class more versatile and can always be used (lay on hands can be used out of combat if you don't want the action, auras are always on) doesn't make the class good

If Paladin was only good for multiattack+smite it'd basically be just a slightly better fighter.
>>
>>51474160
Do you mean Extra Attack? Theres no such thing as multi-attack
>>
>>51474183
Considering the Paladin excels in sustained damage with spike/burst when needed, it's always preferable. The 8 daily encounters aren't all going to be Boss tier threat. I've never seen a fighter build beyond the two snorefest PAM/GWM surge trash that has no flex or adaptability like Paladins do.
>>
Need ideas for puzzles related to necromancy.
>>
>>51474241
Not him but

>no such thing as Multiattack

??

???

There is. Paladins don't have it, but Multiattack is still a thing.
>>
>>51474174
I don't give a fuck about the "other patrons" in this discussion since it's specifically for the patrons where a bargain does not need to be made (or at least the patron isn't or cannot be aware of it).
All that's required is for the Warlock to somehow stumble upon a way to tap into the power the patron "offers".

This differs from a Sorcerer who draws from their own power, instead of that of another (often extra-planar) being.

Bottom line is that the patron does not need to be sentient or aware of a Warlock in any way for a "pact" to be made.
>>
>>51474267
Have the necromancer create a shitload of skeletons and use them as binary on-off switches to create a bone-computer.
>>
>>51474286
For player characters? Can you list a single class that has multiattack, that doesnt turn into a creature that has it? Because as far as im aware only monsters and NPC stat blocks have multiattack
>>
ITT : Fighter fags mad that their class still isn't T1 or even T2, AGAIN.

>WotC can't keep getting away with it!
>>
File: Paladincharts3.png (40KB, 727x597px) Image search: [Google]
Paladincharts3.png
40KB, 727x597px
>A paladin without spell slots is just a shitty fighter

Yeah, just like a fighter is just a shitty oathbreaker except the oathbreaker also gets smites and all sorts of other goodies.

Fucking oathbreakers
>>
>>51474267
"assemble the abomination" have a shit ton of spare parts, have the pc's assemble the abomination however they like, bring it to life, use the parts they gave him to solve a problem further on, that they would already know about.
>>
>>51474267
>Skulls for different sorts of person, place the correct skull with the correct grave.
e.g.
>grave reads: "Died how he lived - by the sword"
>skull is split in half

>grave reads: "Buried with his beloved dog."
>skull has bite marks

Except maybe some better ones.
>>
>>51474305
>that doesn't turn into a creature that has it

Why does that need to be a requirement when Druids are all about turning into creatures that have it?
>>
>>51474326
Champion ftw, have the same efficiency 6 AM and 11 PM.
>>
>>51474221
You can't make an agreement with something non-sentient. Even GOOs possess - if alien - an intelligence.
>>
New thread fellas >>51474369
>>
>>51474305
Ranger has a Hunter technique called "Multiattack" :^)
>>
>>51474326
>b-but they're better after level 17!
>>
>>51474325
>Still

Fighters were T1 in 4e, so it's not that they STILL aren't T1, it's that they're BACK to being mid-tier at best
>>
>>51474350
Oh, right, I should try plotting a champion.

I don't think it'll make too much difference, but who knows.

And maybe change the GWM and PAM arbitrary variables a bit, but I still have no idea what an accurate estimate for average number of PAM reaction uses is and average number of GWM-bonusattack-due-to-killing-creature-that-actually-has-another-thing-for-you-to-hit-in-range is.

>>51474383
Yeah, maybe fighters will be better at level 20 when they get their fourth attack. Though at that level there's a new brand of bullshit - thought +5 damage from oathbreaker was too much? Introducing treachery - +20 to every single attack!
And this is why you don't allow oathbreakers and are cautious of UA content.
>>
>>51474406
>4E

I thought we were talking about D&D here.

4E never existed. It was like a bad splatbook that kind of blipped on the radar between 3.5 and 5E.
>>
>>51474426
4e wasn't that bad.
It just strayed so far from original D&D you can barely call it D&D.

Yet, when you look at 5e, 4e and 3e don't look too dissimilar.
>>
Currently Dming a Homebrew Out of the Abyss campaign while throwing in some divine intervention. The party has to rescue kids from an evil necromancer. The Halfling Barbarion who smells of Cinammon whiskey sets fire to a barn and unknowingly kills the farmer. They go to the old temple in the forest because that is where they think they will find the kids. They fight zombies and skeletons and try to take on the BBEG but start to get swarmed by skeletons. Everyone gets out except the Barbarian who dies but nobody else in game knows he does. He shows up the next morning chalk-white, black hair and can't speak now. He proceeds to be a handful the entire campaign so far and runs through the town nude, stabs a cleric, and almost gets his head chopped off in a military encampment because the cleric he stabbed was a nobles cousin. I tell him "You know have magical hand and leg manacles that don't let you do any harm to anyone while they are on you". Proceeds to attempt harmful things against the entire party with no success and he has to be within 5ft of the Paladin at all times. Constantly tries to put words in my mouth or puts things I say out of context. I keep telling him "Everything you do has a consequence and everything that has happened to you is because of your own actions." He told me after the first session he wants to just kill off his character because he doesn't like the fact he is a Halfling instead of a Half-Orc, which he always plays a Half-Orc Barbarian.

Am I in the wrong for doing these things to his character?
>>
>>51474628
No. you should be going further. He's clearly that guy, or if he's new, a that guy in development. Nip it in the bud, future campaigns will thank you for it.
>>
>>51474002
Your anger and headcanon is months late.
>>
>>51474628
>Wants to play a half-orc all the time
>And a barbarian
>Drunk
>Arson
>so forth

So he wants to play Mr. Dumdum CN (actually CE) all day just so he can fuck about?

Sounds like an immature player.
>>
>>51473465
The obvious answer is getting PAM instead of warcaster and not using SCAG cantrips. The next answer is increasing charisma. The next answer is getting GWM OR getting level 11 in paladin. I wouldn't recommend both, and I'd recommend level 11 paladin.
>>
>>51474235
Monk martial arts scaling is fucking pathetic
>>
>>51474654
>headcanon
Nice rebuttal, go re-read the PHB.
>>
>>51474142
Eh, water whip was pretty clearly bullshit. It was obvious to me that they fucked up writing that when I first read the book.
>>
>>51474235
>find steed
As great as it is, you can't fit a mount in everywhere, your DM will inevitably try to make it so you can't fight mounted absolutely everywhere and even then the advantage you get doesn't stack with other advantage and doesn't work on larger creatures.
PAM, however, correlates to what may as well be a raw increase in overall damage output, without relying on conditional matters and fucking around with an extra creature in the encounter.
Also paladin is feat-starved, so it'd be mounted combatant instead of +str or +cha - yes, it is worth it, but it's much less of a compromise to switch your greatsword to a halberd than to make your character ride mounted everywhere.
>divine smites all the time
Nobody ever says it like that, what the hell? Everybody sane knows you get double smite damage on a crit, so you either conserve crits for a boss fight and nova or you wait until you crit. Either way, this flexibility is great for palaidin.
>every monk feature after 5
Features from 6 to 16 aren't awfully significant, much like barbarian. Sure, there are some nice things in there, but it's nothing like casters getting even higher level spells for example and they get no proper good level 11 feature on par with other level 11 features.
They do, however, have many abilities that scale with level, which is the main reason not to multiclass.
>monk damage doesn't scale
>dealing +1 damage with your bonus action is scaling damage
>shiggy diggy
>>
>>51475026
I don't know, it's pretty much on par with an open hand monk using flurry of blows.
>>
Is getting Spear Mastery Feat for monk any good to get a 1d10 damage early?
>>
>>51475303
>+1 damage +1 to hit and some bonus actions you probably won't use much because you already have a bonus action
No, just up your dex/wis. It's far more important.

Unless you're okay with being a suboptimal little shit, your first priority is to get as high a dex/wis as possible, though something like mobile can help monk a lot.
>>
>>51473789
I rule it as lighting a 10ft space where it hits for one turn.
>>
>>51475402
nah this is a bonus Feat
>>
>>51475454
Then mobile is great, as said. It helps fix monk's squishiness by allowing them to hyperspeed it away from enemies after attacking so he doesn't get hit, and also allows them to really excel at the thing that's also their niche - going fast.
>>
>>51465231

huh, I kind of like this. I feel like the extra hands is an interesting trait!
>>
>>51475487
what if I already have mobile?
>>
>>51474235
Smites offer a damage spike for Paladins but multiclassing allows them to abuse them (Sorcerer or Warlock).

Monks features past lvl 6 are all about getting tankier and better saves (which they need to survive because of being triple stat dependent).
Martial arts scales pathetically.
The class was meant to get a d10 Hp die as well as "extra attack2" after playtests but one of the devs has a hateboner for muscle mages not fitting his "medieval European fantasy".
>>
How good i s the lucky feat?
>>
>>51475303
Well it nets you:
Bonus action traded for reach.
+1 to attack/damage rolls with spears.
And upps the damage die to 1d8/10.

If you are a variant human then it works out.
Otherwise not worth it.

If the damage die for spears via this feat was changed to 1d10/1d12 then it would be worth it.
>>
>>51475537
Just how many feats are you being given?

If you're a shadow monk, alert is great because enemies will have disadvantage to hit you while in darkness and no surprise and +5 to initiative is good too.

Dual wielder allows you to get +1 AC by way of simply holding two things. But honestly that's not much better than 'you deal +1 damage and have +1 to hit for two of your attacks every round'.
Healer can help. Lucky can definitely help. Heck, I'd even say tough might be a bit better than a piddly damage increase.
Observant is brilliant if it also increases your wis.
Ritual caster has some fun utility.
Savage attacker... You know, this is odd, but savage attacker is very close to being better than even spear master. But I don't think it necessarily is.
Sentinel is still fine if you stay in melee sometimes.
Polearm master is honestly probably actually better than spear master unless you run out of reach literally every turn.
Skilled is.. A thing.

And heck, in some campaigns a superfast monk with dungeon delver could facecheck the heck out of everything, especially once they get all save proficiency.
>>
>>51475699
just one free feat. I got mobile as a variant human
Thread posts: 453
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.