[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Rogue Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 35

File: 1473908804747.jpg (137KB, 805x993px) Image search: [Google]
1473908804747.jpg
137KB, 805x993px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread:
>>51444729

Let's talk about the most fun class in the game, /5eg/.
>>
More from this homebrew. Not probably enough to "fix" sorcerers, I just wanted them to be different from Wizards. I dunno.

Changelog:
>Sorcerous motes changed to Spell motes
>Ent mon. transformation nerfed
>Eldritch monstrosity nerfed
>Irrevokable Effect retooled to still be useful but not insane
>Beholder transformation level requirements raised.
>>
What's the best level for a one-off?
>>
>>51454916
5th level. Plenty of power and resources where they won't run bone-dry immediately, but not enough that it should slow down things much.
>>
If Mystra blessed or made a magical item for one of her Chosen, what would that item be like and what would it do?
>>
>>51454916
Depends.

If the players are relatively new, try something around level 3 and 4.
If players are a bit beyond that, 5 to 10 where they're stronger and have more options.
Then beyond that, 11-13 ish might be good for experienced players who don't get to play complex characters a lot, but I wouldn't suggest it for new players with all the paperwork and ability confusion.

From level 14 onwards, especially 17-20, it'll start to feel rather silly with high powers, but you can do that if you want. It's more of a novelty than anything, I feel.
>>
>>51454935
Staff of Power? Staff of the Magi? Robes of the Archmagi?
>>
>>51454935
A lengthy roster of every cute wizard in the setting, with the uncanny ability to allow the wielder to telepathically communicate with any wizard on the list at will
>>
>>51454875
I don't think this class is very coherent.
>>
>>51454935
Depends on the campaign in terms of power, if the DM is 'Lots of +3 weapons everywhere!' or if they're 'Okay, if it's a powerful weapon you might be lucky to see a +1, but the focus is on other effects'.

Probably some magic-enhancing helm or something.
>>
File: 1440.jpg (22KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1440.jpg
22KB, 512x384px
I need help on making a Barbarian with an Entertainer/Actor background work
>>
>>51454875
Responded here (to old version, but most of it still applies I think)
>>51454837
>>51454856
>>
File: 4059216-bolin.png (400KB, 818x767px) Image search: [Google]
4059216-bolin.png
400KB, 818x767px
>>51454988
>>
>>51454988
I did this once before.

Half-orc Strongman who dressed up in magician robes and insisted they could do magic.
I cast fist.
>>
>>51454989
Most of it applies, yes. I will answer in that thread -->
>>
File: edgy.png (329KB, 795x614px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
329KB, 795x614px
>>51454988
Screenwriter/actor whose script got rejected one time too many
>>
>>51454988
Isn't there a board for pro wrestling, m8?
>>
>>51454875
Am I right in saying you can choose a longbow as your conduit weapon, and hit people with Burning Hands or other close range spells at a distance?
>>
>>51454944
I had considered those, but I'd like to make something unique, related to Mystra and the party's wizard. If that helps, she's a diviner with 1 level of Knowledge cleric.
>>51454984
I'm a very... generous DM, to be sure. As long as the items are interesting.
>>51454967
kek. Actually would be cool, if somewhat impractical for me.
>>
File: nfsaxc.jpg (109KB, 809x1117px) Image search: [Google]
nfsaxc.jpg
109KB, 809x1117px
Practical uses for speak with plants?

A trees sense of time is fundamentally different, a bush doesn't know what an orc is, that grass probably fears deer more than dragons.
>>
>>51455044
Yes, that was one of the things I deliberately didn't disallow. I love arcane archers.
>>
>>51455115
Also, the charged spell doesn't appear to have to be damaging, or a savant spell, or have a casting time of one action, so you could potentially shoot healing arrows? Simulacrum-ing arrows? Time-stopping arrows?
>>
>>51455266
Well, I haven't patched out all the silly things out yet, and I am not an expert of 5e specifically, although I am a game designer.

Forgot those keywords. Probably going to restrict it either to damaging spells, spells that have a numeric component (such as dice-rolling) or those that have casting time of one action.

But awesome ideas nonetheless, I must admit.
>>
>>51455288
>although I am a game designer.

fuckin KEK
>>
>>51455288
>Well, I haven't patched out all the silly things out yet, and I am not an expert of 5e specifically, although I am a game designer.

Share with the class...which games have you designed?
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>51455288
>I am a game designer

Yup, and I'm a videogame company because I made a pokemon hack and know how to use RPG maker.
>>
Is the person who made this here? I thought that you allowed this one to gain proficiency in light armor, as well?
>>
>>51455288
Another thing, the action economy isn't clear. Do you intend:

As an action, make a weapon attack and cast a spell if it hits.

Or:

Cast a spell (usually an action), then make a weapon attack (presumably on a subsequent turn), add the spell effect then the spell ends,

Or:

Cast a spell (usually an action), then make a weapon attack (presumably on a subsequent turn), add the spell effect, and keep adding it on subsequent attacks as long as you have spell motes to burn.
>>
How do you guys do the economy in your world? Do you jut follow the book or go full spread sheet that fluctuates in prices depending on events brought by outside forces or your own PC's?
>>
>>51455295
>>51455305
>>51455330
Allright. Excuse me that my first TRPG's release is currently only lacking final touches and art, which I will get in a month or two's time, depending on my budget.

Classic mistake, forgot that you can't claim anything about yourself on 4chan.

>>51455353
Gotta clarify that, yeah.

The idea is that you cast a spell targeting the conduit (using an action, unless you use metamagic to make it a bonus action), and then, every time an attack with that weapon hits, you add the spell's effect to the attack. Then, on each subsequent turn, you burn motes as upkeep to keep the weapon charged.
>>
>>51454792
>> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:

pretty good class. Needs half caster progression for Teleportation Circle, Scrying, Animate Objects, Raise Dead and the ability to craft Golem
>>
>>51455374
Follow the book unless something extreme happens, like war or the PCs dumping a ridiculous amount of money (>500,000 gp) into the economy. Then multiply all prices by 10.
>>
>>51455374
I do spreadsheet if it is at one hub city that matters. It helps me out to practice the mathematics for University.
>>
>>51455378
>you can't claim anything about yourself on 4chan.
You're posting as Anonymous on an anonymous image board. Making any sort of self-aggrandising claim is pointless vanity.

t. man with 12 inch cock.
>>
>>51455378
If the spell effect requires an attack roll, do they have to make that as well, or does the weapon attack count?
>>
>>51455437
Well yeah, I didn't even think about that remark. Though, being a game designer is nothing to really bark about, because Digital Homicide would be counted as a game designer, and those who made FATAL are considered game designers.

>>51455439
The spell's effect is put on top of the attack roll, meaning they don't need to make a separate roll for that. Probably need to add something that the spell attack roll (if any) automatically succeeds.
>>
So, for making a skill monkey, should I go Thief Rogue or Lore Bard?

Got a team of savage brutes, and I need a Charisma skill monkey, with actual social abilities. Highest of the 3 has 9, lowest has 7, so we kinda need someone who doesn't smell like death and decay, and considers personal hygiene "sorcery".
>>
>Buddy's running a campaign at level 3 to start
>Make a 2 Barbarian/1 Rogue Lizardfolk
>Trying to think of paths to go down

So far considering I have 41 fucking health at level 3 I'll probably end up going down Totem Warrior: Bear for tank potential, but after that at Barbarian 3, would it be better to focus on getting Rogue to 3 for Assassinate or just keep it at two for Cunning Actions?
>>
>>51455510
They're both great, just depends if you want spells or not. Rogue is really good reliable damage with allies in the front line. Bard gets more customisation through learning spells as you level.
>>
>>51455288
I'm an expert of 5e.

Feels like trash, posting on /5eg/ nonstop shitposting and learning literally every single thing you can do and how all the rules work.

All good things come with a price, much like how a wizard comes out of wizard school with d6 HP.

I have crippling depression.webm
>>
>>51455641
Well, I am changing it constantly, but now I'm trying to shift the conversation to /gdg/, where it actually belongs.
>>
>>51455594
ASIs, motherfucker. Do you seek them?
>>
>>51455594
Assassinate is hardly a big deal at all, especially when its main feature is granting advantage and you can self-grant advantage.

Normally you should aim for barbarian5/rogue15, aiming for a level in one of the classes and five levels in the other class first. Barbarian gets extra attack at 5 which is a notable powerspike, rogue gets uncanny dodge at 5 which is a defence abilitything. And 3d6 sneak attack, of course.

Cunning action isn't bad though, so if you feel you really need it you could put a level there, but you do delaly damage options by doing that. Just don't expect assassin to give you a lot of crits - RAW, it hardly ever does.
>>
>>51454988
There's two principal routes to take, either a barbarian that left his tribe and wound work as an actor/entertainer in a city, or had such a role within a barbarian tribe. The former can be an actor as a strongman and a brute who perhaps had enough intuition and charisma to find himself in popular speaking roles.

For the latter, invent a barbarian form of entertainment. Dancing, drums and fire breathing are all straightforward enough. Different forms of ritual performance and plays are possible as well, likely with heavy use of masks. Maybe take a stylistic cue from kabuki theater.

Also with the latter, it might find it's way into the city by word of mouth from visitors to the tribe and pick up popularity that way, leading to your barbarian heading to the city to provide the authentic experience. You can invent all sorts of complications here.
>>
File: 1461959220315.png (49KB, 196x196px) Image search: [Google]
1461959220315.png
49KB, 196x196px
What are the penalties for being small size class?
>>
>>51455876
Can't use Heavy weapons I would assume
>>
>>51455876
Can't use most heavy weapons for one
>>
>>51455876
Disadvantage on using heavy weapons

Often you have -5ft speed but not always, depends on race

You struggle to grapple really large things
>>
>>51455876
Sucking at being a barbarian, since no heavy weapons.
>>
I'm looking at playing a sort of quick and dirty melee fighter for my next character. Thinking about Swashbuckler, Battlemaster, or multiclassing the two.

I like the multiclass, because there are things I want from the first 3 Rogue levels (expertise, cunning action and Swashbuckler features). I'm looking at taking first level Rogue, then 5 in Fighter before back to Rogue.
Is it worth multiclassing like this or should I just stick to a single class?
>>
>>51455900
>>51455876
Oh, and large creatures can move through your space like it was difficult terrain.

>>51455903
>sucking at being a barbarian
You do realize the best barbarian weapons until level 4 are shortswords?
From then on, you reach level 5 and the optimal route is to multicalss into rogue which doesn't use heavy weapons.
>>
>>51455909
>From then on, you reach level 5 and the optimal route is to multicalss into rogue

How

Why
>>
>>51455909
> You do realize the best barbarian weapons until level 4 are shortswords?
> From then on, you reach level 5 and the optimal route is to multicalss into rogue which doesn't use heavy weapons.
Nigger, you what.
>>
>>51455907
Mechanically, it's not bad. It owes well to a shieldmaster rapier+shield style of build, and 5 or 11 levels of fighter gives extra attacks which work well with rogue. Or, alternatively, using a hand crossbow and crossbow mastery, or just a longbow I suppose. It's pretty good for ranged fighting given you get that extra attack for extra sneak attack chance and a fighting style for +2 to hit on ranged attacks.
>>
>>51455909
I don't doubt you but elaborate on the shortsword claim
>>
Paladin advice?

We're continuing a campaign at level 8 and I shelved my monk, having him NPC as the head of the Adventurer's Guild we established.

Definitely wanna run Oath of Vengeance, not sure about multiclassing/feats over stat allocation/weaponry, etc. Human Variant, by the way.
>>
>>51455918
>>51455922
He's not wrong.
>>
>>51455918
>>51455922
Well, okay I wouldn't call it an 'optimal route' but rather a sidegrade route. A regular barbarian can go PAM and all of that and aim for locking enemies down away from the casters.
However, barbarogue is definitely viable, without a doubt.

>>51455927
You get rage damage to your bonus attack, you can split your attack into two attacks for getting two targets and you can use dexterity if you're a dex barbarian.
You'd normally do 2d6+MOD damage, which is identical to a maul. The only issue is on the turn you rage you might only do 1d6+MOD damage, but eh, who cares.
>>
>>51455926
>shieldmaster rapier+shield
This is what I was thinking of.
Go variant human and take Shield Mastery to knock people around with expertise in athletics, plus maneuvers and swashbuckler mobility to just be a pest in combat.
>>
>>51455960
Well, that's good then. Go for it, it's a good build, though not gamebreaking.
>>
>>51455952
> No GWM
> Wasting bonus action
Really makes you think
>>
Just watched the acquisitions incorporated game, wtf happened to Scott Kurtz?
>>
>>51455978
That assumes you go variant human, as that's the only way to have GWM at levels 1 to 3. At level 4 you could take it instead of +2 dex/str, though.

If you're thinking about going a small race, you definitely won't have GWM and thus shortswords are clearly better, especially considering you'll be likely focused on dex fighting instead of strength.

Even if you're a half-orc, shortswords is better.

The only exception is maybe variant human.

And then, at level 5, you get the split of 'do you want to rely on feats like sentinel and PAM and GWM or do you want to be a barbarogue' because honestly unless you reach level 20 I don't think barbarian is worth it beyond level 5 if you're not picking up feats.
>>
>>51455999
I really hate 5e exhaustion rules, that's why I'm going to roll a Paladin instead.

By the way, nobody ever helps me with my fucking Vengeance Paladin builds in these threads. Does no one here play Paladin or something?
>>
>>51456016
>Vengeance Paladin builds
Go variant human. Start with PAM, max strength and pick up Sentinel at some point. Enjoy your 3 attacks per round for extra opportunities to smite.
>>
How is Harshnag's attack bonus calculated?

He has a +1 axe, a +6 Strength bonus and (as far as I can tell from his other scores) a +3 proficiency bonus, but his attack bonus is listed as +11.
>>
>>51455978
With the rage dmg on the 2nd attack and assuming dual wielding feat it works out.

>waste b.a.
What's the alternative use of it ?

It's shit after 5 though.

I thought it was bullshut too at first
>>
>>51456062
I wasn't sure if it was worth it, considering my DM doesn't using the Marking rules. Is it really worth it to skimp on CHA for just the one extra opportunity attack?

I figure that GWF/GWM would be pretty good on its own (DM will allow me to reroll smites for GWM).

Is it really just a choice of PAM for more horde utility or GWM for more spiking on big guys (for you)?
>>
>>51456016
>vegeance paladin

Variant human PAM. Up strength to 20. From there on, decide between sentinel (if not using quarterstaff) or.. I don't know, charisma.
alternatively
Variant human PAM. Up charisma to 20. Quarterstaff+shield, duelling fighting style probably. Somewhere along the line, take 6 levels of lore bard or 3 levels of tomewarlock, preferrably after extra attack and/or improved divine smite.
>>
>>51456109
>DM will allow me to reroll smites for GWM
Then grab a Maul and go to town, you're a real justice man now.
The logic behind PAM is the bonus action attack giving you an extra chance to blow your smite on a crit. I'm sure anon has run the numbers on how it comes ahead.
>>
>>51455926
Don't forget the Tavern Brawler-Longbow clubber.
>>
>>51456151
Yeah, I realize that PAM is definitely good. We've got a good amount of horde clear in our party though and considering the DM doesn't use Marking rules but does allow me to reroll Smites with GWM, I figured I'd just go to town with a maul and try to get some crazy spiking on boss types.
>>
File: oath of conquest.jpg (11KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
oath of conquest.jpg
11KB, 272x185px
Anyone have a reason for a Revenant Oath of Conquest Paladin to die? Because so far the story I've got is that he was a Paladin so completely devoted to his king's ideals of subjugating and imposing civilisation on other cultures, that when he eventually fell on the battlefield, he didn't die, he faltered for a single moment, then his spirit tore itself out of his body, and kept charging towards the enemy. I'm so far thinking that he'll stop fighting when the entire world is under his kingdom's control, but I want to consider other, more realistic options as well, any ideas?
>>
>>51456109
GWF is pretty damn strong if you can reroll smites.

RAI GWF does not apply. RAW it does.

Your DM would be good to not allow it, but.. Eh, whatever they want.

Paladin should not take GWM. PAM is more important for them.
GWM is okay if they've already got PAM, but once you hit level 11 GWM becomes trash.
>>
>>51456185
When the King gives him his rest.
>>
>>51456168
Yeah, go for it then. Paladin is just a strong class all around, so it's hard to fuck it up.
Not sure if GWM is worth it though, while the -5 +10 damage is appealing, you'll want to make sure your attacks hit so you can smite.
>>
>>51456205
>>51456218
>GWM is okay if they've already got PAM, but once you hit level 11 GWM becomes trash.
I'm starting with a +10 chance to hit (+2 maul, +5 str, +3 prof), and we also have a cleric and a bard. Basically, I'll have Bless going quite a bit, Inspiration die from the Bard, and other ways to garner a lot of advantage on chance to hit. I wouldn't be considering GWM if not for that, but I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to use it quite a bit.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
100KB, 1920x1080px
>>51456207
>>
>>51456239
Oh, and I forgot to mention, Vow of Enmity for boss types which will be very nice for a lot of spike damage using GWM (with a smite on both attacks).
>>
>>51456207
I like that, though his Oath extends further than just his king, he is the king's tool for as long as the king is acting in the best interests of the kingdom, currently the king is the last one's 6 year old son, who is wielding the Paladin as a weapon and waging a campaign of hatred against the Elves after seeing his father be brutally murdered by elven magic in the middle of his own throne room, then swearing a blood pact with the paladin on top of his father's corpse. It's really fucked up and I like it.
>>
>>51456207
Only it's 500 years later, the royal line has been deliberately destroyed, the Parliamentarians sealed the undying knight in a leaden casket, and he's just been let out. By the PCs, of course, because if you have the right/wrong sort of PCs there is literally nothing a GM can do to discourage them from opening a fancy looking box.
>>
>>51456239
>starting with a +2 maul
.. What
If you have bless up a lot, GWM might actually be somewhat viable if your DM doesn't balance by adding AC to fucking everything.

That said, GWM+PAM would still be better if it were a +2 polearm, but that'd sacrifice a +2 strength or something which would be too much of a shame, so probably not.

Oh, though, if it were a +2 polearm, that means it's dealing +2 damage to every attack which favours PAM again instead of GWM.

... So I still think PAM is better, but GWM isn't exactly so bad in comparison now.
>>
>>51456267
I really quite like that, actually. Though he does have a contract from hell with a 6 year old that forces him to try to the best of his abilities to kill all elves.
>>
>>51456289
The DM throws out a lot of magical items but he always scales up the difficulty as a consequence. We've had a lot of fun so far using this archetype for the campaign. It makes us feel powerful but it's still been challenging.

Also, if I went GWM+PAM I'd be taking a Charisma hit and I kind of like having that where it is considering it's so beneficial, not just to me but the other melee Fighter. Oh, and I'm planning on picking up Resilience at 12 for Constitution, because having so many important Concentration spells, I feel like having what would basically be an auto-save CON throw would be super good for me. And if I want to make that possible, I can't really sacrifice my Charisma stat for another feat.

I recognize I might not be as great at pure damage as a PAM by taking GWM but I think it'll still prove very beneficial and will still allow me to be more proficient in saving throws/offer more utility both in and out of combat to my party.
>>
>>51456342
If you've odd-numbered constitution, it wouldn't be so bad to get those con saves. Otherwise, I'd go for charisma since that's +1 to con saves and everybody else and everything else.

But, yeah, like said - GWM is better the higher your hit chance, but worse the higher your damage. Once you hit level 11, it's kinda bad considering you get an additional +1d8 damage, so if you expect to reach level 11 I wouldn't recommend GWM at all. The more damage your attacks do, the worse it is to use GWM as the -5 to hit effectively reduces the effective value of your bonus damage.

Before level 11 it'll have times it might be better or otherwise might be a bit worse than PAM depending on bless/advantage/etc but it's not bad if you'd prefer it to PAM.

Definitely don't need both unless you're a PAM fighter - I'd suggest PAM fighters get GWM as well, or at least sentinel.
>>
>>51456302
You could use the time skip to make him into more of a noble figure. Maybe the previous king didn't do anything especially evil beyond the necessities of being a monarch (i.e. catering to his noble power-base and ignoring everyone else) and the last of the royal line is a Joffrey who hired the PCs to wake him up.

Again, that's not necessarily the command he gave, but most PCs will open a mysterious box. In fact, the command could have been "use this key I'm giving you and get this book from this ruin, everything else you find is yours". He can claim to be a descendent of an old family that used to rule those lands (true) and that his retainers have spent years researching the location of the ruin (true, but omits the part where they stole the key from Parliament's vaults. mention the heist when setting the scene, but no one remembers what was stolen).

In any case, possibly the knight didn't originally give a shit about elves one way or the other, but Vows are Vows, time to get to genociding.
>>
is proficiency bonus class level based or character level based?
>>
>>51456467
Character.
>>
>>51456467
Character level.
>>
>>51455330
Well no youre not because you don't have a business license, nor the rights to the IP. Anon did however design part of a game, so they are e a game designer. Same goes with being an artist.
>>
>>51456421
My constitution is 15 so I'd really see a benefit from Resilience (CON). I also rolled 17 STR and 17 CHA additionally, which I pushed up to 18 with my Human Variant stats. At level 8, I can rock 20 CHA and 20 STR as is if I only take the level 1 feat, so I think I've probably got it decently optimized right now. +3 CON and Proficiency in saves seems like the best way to go at 12.

If I wanted to just settle for 18 Charisma I could, and pick up PAM instead to complement the GWM. I'm just not sure if it's worth it instead of just running a Maul and sitting at 20 Charisma for more group utility.
>>
Is Enchantment Wizard a good replacement for awakened mystic?

I want to be a mind controller type of character, but I'm not sure whether my DM will allow mystic UA.
>>
Running a 5e game. The monk is very fond of the drink. Thinking of giving him a drunken fist combat mode. Should I make it straight benefits with detrimental effects after it wears off or make it a temporary archtype switch
>>
>>51456065
While most frost giants are CR 8, Harshnag is CR 9, so his proficiency bonus is +4. Which means all of his saves, skills and attacks that have his prof bonus are 1 point above what it says in the Monter Manual.
>>
>>51456624
Give him haste effect for 2-3 round or something.
>>
>>51456624
The fact that the monk cannot get poisoned at all means that they can't get drunk.
Drunken Master as a monk archetype is impossible because of this.
>>
>>51456504
If you're already locked into GWM then it's probably not worth making a fuss over, but I'm going to go make a graph of GWM versus PAM damage at levels 5 and 11 because .. There are things that need doing.

I can tell you though that if you were an oathbreaker their overpowered level 7 ability means they should always go PAM and not bother with GWM.

.. I should add that. So, a line for GWM paladin, a line for GWM+PAM paladin, a line for all of those at either 16, 18 or 20 strength values.. A line for PAM paladin, a line for oathbreaker paladin..

This is going to be a lot, but I was going to make this sooner or later anyway.
>>
>>51456440
Sounds good. I think i'll work something like that into it, if the DM is alright with me doing some major historical worldbuilding.
>>
>>51456637
Could do some kind of very very strong alcohol that only Drunken Fist monk orders make, which they carry around and all have the knowledge of how to make.
>>
>>51456637
Drinking=/=drunk, anon.
>>
>>51456342

Lets break this shit down. Theres basically 5 number of martial builds

GWM guy-He takes GWM with either a Maul Greatsword/Axe and hits the things until they fall down. This is stereotypically a Barbarian but any class that wants huge damage can do do it. If you have a way to offset the hit penalty your even better off.The biggest benefit is you only need one feat and then can invest in ASIs and utility feats like Alert Lucky Resilient etc. which actually makes it pretty well rounded in the long run. Dont fall into the GW fighting style trap either

Full PAM-You play V.Human and hope you rolled well on stats because your grabbing feats until level 8,PAM/GWM/Sentinel turn you into a walking status effect that scores only slightly less damage than the GWM guy. You get an easy bonus attack and the GWM still gets used since its slightly more damage. Nobody moves again if your DM is dumb enough to let you get Tunnel Fighter on an UA Knight Bugbear optional

Sword&Board-This is your default in a no feat game.In a feat game you get to be the GWM guys best friend by knocking shit prone all the time while doing moderate damage and having great defenses.Despite GWM stereotype the Barbarian is actually phenomenal for this one as well but again any Str based martial can pull it off. This works better in a larger party which can actually do something with it when you floor opponents

Duel-wield-If you dont have a plan to make this work dont go blowing feats and fighting styles on this while expecting to perform well. There are things that can be done to help it out like a magic item with riders to hop onto every hit but even then you need a pair of magical weapons to pull that off.

Archery-or how to do GWM damage from far away in a large party that covers you from getting melee'd.Its not even that complex you Sharpshoot with a built in penalty compensater for about 30-40 damage a round and the only other supporting feat XBowMaster is optional
>>
So I'm trying to do devise an encounter in a goblin castle for a party of level 2 adventurers. The idea is that it's a library that the goblins have fucked up and now they have minor magical powers like booyahg casters from Volo's. Should I have a boss mage goblin for this encounter or is the goblins with random level 1 wizard spells enough?
>>
So I wanna get some people into the game and I was wondering about the pre-written adventures. What are your experiences with the Lost Mine?
What's your favorite module?
>>
>>51456917
>Dont fall into the GW fighting style trap either

What's the ideal fighting style for GWM guy?
>>
Arcanist UA rework by 5eg's best and brightest

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryUW-Qovl
>>
>>51456969
Armored or mariner if your dm allows that.
>>
>>51457173
Whoops, meant to type artificer. I just woke up
>>
>>51455337
I am here, and no I did not. Only Bladesingers get that, which is why I decided to not give them Light armor proficiency. Didn't want to copy the level 2 too much.
>>
>>51456917
Isn't Shield master worth it?
>>
>>51457336
Shield master is a good feat when you're already swordn n boarding, but sword n boarding is rarely the best option.
>>
>>51456969
>>51457177

He speaks the truth. The +1 to AC willl get you some more mileage in the long run. Mariner is a bit touch and go on legality at most tables but it would also go well with being a Viking wit the Sailor background for best skillset

>>51457336

Shield Master is totally worth it. The defensive benefits are only towards Dex based things sure but its such a low ASI investment style that it acts as a psuedo-Dex save proficiency and frees you up to take shit like Resilient [Wis] to go along with Con proficiency and covers the most common bases. It helps Naked Barbarians just as much as Paladins or Fighters and works well with either Protection or Duelist depending on your preference/needs

Anyway I got a game in 2 hours where im gonna run an Alchemist and see how it performs.Later folks
>>
>>51457488
Enjoy
>>
>>51457240
Oh, good to know, thanks for telling!
>>
>>51457590
I'm actually working on a finished version of it, later I'll be posting it here. Decided to change the capstone a bit.
>>
File: Untitled.png (484KB, 644x364px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
484KB, 644x364px
What's a good reason for a hag to be in a weakened state? I'd like this for an encounter, but against a small starting party she has way too much attack/defense/health, so I need an excuse for her to be temporarily gimped.
>>
>>51457611
Don't they have that nightmare soul stealing ability? Say she's gone too long without souls and is desperate and hungry. Or even if she doesn't eat souls, just say she's not been able to get out for whatever reason and is physically starving.
>>
anyone know where i can watch the acquisitions inc game?
>>
File: paladincharts.png (30KB, 743x597px) Image search: [Google]
paladincharts.png
30KB, 743x597px
Finished charts.

This is the damage of some paladins per round. All consistent things are considered, the probability of using 1d10 instead of 1d4 on GWM+PAM, the chance of crit and crit damage and GWM getting an extra attack, there's an arbitrary 0.15 chance of GWM getting an extra attack due to killing something. The chance of PAM getting a reaction attack is an arbitrary 0.5. Also assumes bonus actions all the time.

Next chart is level 11 and a bit less of a clusterfuck.
>>
File: paladincharts2.png (33KB, 776x597px) Image search: [Google]
paladincharts2.png
33KB, 776x597px
>>51457796
And this is why you don't go GWM on a paladin. Normally. Probably.

Oh, also assumes you have GWF (which is actually better for greatsword users, probably, but also closes the gap between GWM and non-GWM non-PAM).
>>
>>51457631
I think that's just Night Hags
>>
>>51456564
Diviner is the best enchanter
>>
>>51457601
It's a good thing that we're starting at level 1 then in like half an hour
Would you say that this is a good way to back up the rest of my party? They're a Ranger, Bard, and Fighter respectively.
>>
>>51457894
Absolutely, wizards are probably one of the best support classes right behind bards.
>>
>>51457753

Hey, I wanna know too. Especially the Christmas Special

>>51455980

Binwin? I heard he left.
>>
>>51457796
>>51457812
Pure autism. How do you feel knowing you spent any amount of time making these?
>>
File: Paladincharts3.png (40KB, 727x597px) Image search: [Google]
Paladincharts3.png
40KB, 727x597px
>>51457978
Pretty satisfied. It didn't take too long though considering I've done this far too many times before and done far worse things like Savage Attacker.
>>
>>51457978
he probably feels very at ease.
>>
>>51457796
>>51457812
>>51458027

I am oddly impressed.
>>
>>51457937
Great! It looks like I'm the tactician keeping the smashy melee dudes together, so hopefully this'll end well for me.

>Decided "naive" as a character flaw
The campaign starts roughly in 15 minutes, my head hurts, and I'm a bit tired because I couldn't sleep last night, wish me luck.
>>
>>51458122
Good luck friend! I'll post the new update in a few hours.
>>
>>51458122
>wish me luck.
Just play a halfling.
>>
>>51455999
Hand Axes. You can throw them too. You don't get rage bonus damage if you're using Dex (or throwing weapons, but you can't throw short swords well anyway), or reckless attack's advantage.

> honestly unless you reach level 20 I don't think barbarian is worth it beyond level 5 if you're not picking up feats.
You can get a good feature at level 14, as well as enough rages to keep raging every fight, as well as the ability to keep raging better, and more HP every level.
>>
>>51456205
>RAI GWF does not apply. RAW it does.
RAW it's unclear. That's why there's a RAI answer. It could have been clear, like Savage Attacker, that it doesn't apply, or clear, like critical hits, that it does apply. Instead, it's unclear.
>>
Played for the first time with an Arcana cleric that had a rather interesting concept

He used Animate Dead every day to have a Shadow minion, Dr Facilier style.

It wasn't horribly useful, but it looked fun
>>
>>51458175
If you're a dex-based barbarian you're not going to get rage damage no matter what you do.
If you're a strength-based barbarian shortswords can still do rage damage because you can use strength with them.

Yeah, barbarian does get one or two good features later like the level 14 one, +2 HP/level (Basically the tough feat but better hitdice for short rests) and more rage longetivity along with small damage buffs from rage damage / brutal critical, but the rogue path gives you much more damage if you plan to go sword and board or dexterity instead of taking feats.
And dexterity-based barbarians get crazy AC.
>>
>>51457611
She drank too much brew
>>
>>51458198
It's 'on a damage die for an attack you make' unless smite's damage dice aren't technically damage dice.

Smite damage is part of the attacks' damage, I'm fairly sure.

I believe they simply misworded it and it should have been 'weapon damage die'.
>>
>>51458240
It's actually really long and convoluted, but it's still unclear. Like I said, it could have been clear, but it isn't. Compare it to critical hits and savage attacker.

>GWFFS
"When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you
make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with
two hands,"

>Savage Attacker
"when you roll damage for a melee weapon
attaek, you ean reroll the weapon's damage dice "

>and crits
"RolI ali of the
attack's damage dice twice and add them together."
And "If the attack involves other
damage dice, such as from the rogue's Sneak Attack
feature, you roll those dice twice as well."

I have a feeling that if critical hits didn't have the line about sneak attack damage, a lot of players would assume you wouldn't double sneak attack damage (just like 3.x), then someone would ask on twitter (because assassins) and we'd find out it's intended to include sneak attack damage. Just hypothetically.
>>
>>51458143
Half-Elf. G-good one
>>51458141
Turns out it was actually 1 and not 12, yay. But still, thanks!
>>
>>51458398
Well, I can agree it's not entirely unclear, but I'd still say that if you studied the RAW hard enough the RAW holds true to GWF letting you reroll smite.

You reroll all damage dice in the case of a crit, and if you say 'well, it's unclear whether 'all' means only the weapon or not' it says in the rules that it also applies to sneak attack, so you can assume any other case that refers to an attack's damage dice will do the same.

And I think it's clear for GWF that it's an attack's damage dice, which isn't the same as the weapon damage dice shown in savage attacker.
>>
>>51458588
Oh well. You can present an ironclad argument online, but you can't change anyone's mind.
>>
Playing a Warlock multiclassing into Paladin for that sweet, sweet short rest smite. I'm having trouble trying to decide which to focus on, Dex or Str. Can anyone advise me on which to go for? I don't normally get to play tabletops so I'm a bit confused.
>>
Which supplement has info on lycanthropy? My character just got wererat-ed.
>>
>>51458655
On that note, if you could reroll IDS but not considering normal smite rolls, GWF would be better for a level 11 paladin with PAM than a fighter using a greatsword with or without GWM.
With only being able to reroll the weapon's dice, it's a lot worse than the fighter's case.

So following the RAI it's probably better not to take it on a paladin. It's nice to be able to take the +1 AC fighting style then switch between quarterstaff+shield and 1d10+reach as you please instead, though I guess you could take duelling and quarterstaff if you're going shillelagh.
>>
>>51458733
How are you thinking you want to build your character?
>>
>>51458800
Monster Manual page 207
>>
>>51458733
Neither. You've got fucking shillelagh, so you don't need that shit.
>>
>>51458842
Since when did Warlocks get Shille? Tome is statistically the best path but not everyone is gonna tome.
>>
>>51458842
I don't want Shillelagh, I want to use a sword not a quarter staff. also I should have been more specific, I was talking about armor, should I go heavy or light?
>>
>>51458882
Tome is overwhelmingly good for when you can get paladin features that rely on charisma like aura of protection and max out to 20 charisma and still get PAM. Especially if you take oathbroken class archetype considering they get even more damage based on charisma. Though devotion gets +hit chance based on charisma.

>>51458895
Get a wooden sword. Call it a quarterstaff or if you're a dirty sod who can't afford PAM call it a club.

Not taking shillelagh is like saying 'I don't want to be good.'
>>
>>51458926
i did want to go Bladelock for the extra attack though.
>>
>>51458926
Not everyone wants to be a retarded powergamer anon. Sometimes you want your idea of your character to make sense without refluffing it when the option to do it correctly was already available.
>>
>>51458940
But bladelock extra attack doesn't stack? Or are you going to something like Warlock 18 / Pally 2?
>>
>>51454988
Pro wrestler
>>
File: yuan_ti_2_by_lichgodlike (1).jpg (127KB, 600x707px) Image search: [Google]
yuan_ti_2_by_lichgodlike (1).jpg
127KB, 600x707px
Do your snake people have boobs?
>>
>>51458940
Paladins get an extra attack at 5th level, and it doesn't stack with the bladelock extra attack. I would recommend trying to go for 6 levels of paladin because charisma to all saves is fantastic.
>>
>>51458945
If you're going to play something suboptimal bladelock you might as well powergame it. If you're going to play, say, a wizard, then sure, do stupid shit.

>>51458940
But you see, the moment you take 2 levels of paladin you should realize that you should then take 3 more levels of paladin for paladin's extra attack and then a another level for aura of protection and another 5 levels for improved divine smite and then you realize you're much better than a half-assed warlock who probably actually does worse smiting than the paladin.
>>
>>51458961
Look at their snouts. if they're flat like human faces, yes, if they're extended like a monkey, dog, cow etc, no.
>>
>>51458964
Hold on, do you add your charisma to your own charisma saving throws too?
>>
>>51458895
Go for Str besause if you go Dex your viable weapons are just shitty short swords and scimitars, or a poncy rapier

>>51458926
>uhh ackchyually you should hit people with a stick cuz its more efficient
What the fuck
>>
>>51458989
Yeah, it's one of the best class abilities in the game.
>>
>>51459009
Huh. Sweet.
>>
>>51458994
I mean I guess you could just not hit people with a stick and have half-assed charisma and be a worse face with worse support abilities to support people with while trying to pretend to be a fighter.
>>
I'd actually suggest going dex, reaching level 5 in warlock and then taking levels of rogue.

Or going paladin-sorcerer if you really insist on being a good smiter.
>>
>>51458955
That's what I was thinking yeah. Long enough to get the Smite's as well as two Paladin spells. I was probably going to go Paladin first to get the Heavy Armor and Shield prof.
>>
Need help. I'm making a Soulknife archetype for Monk and I need an 17th level feature. The rest of the archetype either increases utility or offense, albut I'm drawing a blank now. Anyone that can think of something?
>>
>>51459193
Create animated weapon?
You see a lot of flying weapon users in wuxia
>>
>>51459193
Does it already have literal soul rending? If it doesn't, there's your idea.
>>
File: Firbolg-5e.jpg (285KB, 834x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Firbolg-5e.jpg
285KB, 834x1280px
what do you think about these guys?

i really like the gentle giant thing they have going on
>>
File: IMG_1262.jpg (597KB, 1207x1572px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.jpg
597KB, 1207x1572px
What's a fun fight for some level 8 PCs between adventures? Something that would make a fun monster of the week?
>>
>>51458961
Tail seems too short relative to body
>>
>>51456955
Strahd > Princes > Into the Abyss > the rest >>>>>>>>>>>> rise of tiamat
>>
File: HIPPIES.jpg (128KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HIPPIES.jpg
128KB, 1920x1080px
>>51459296
>>
>>51459311
Iron Golem or Mummy Lord
>>
>>51459311
Kobolds.
>>
I'm making a Barb for oneshots one of my player wants to run (he wants to get into DMing). I'll start at lvl 4 or maybe 5. That said, I'm wondering if I go Duergar 16 str, 14 dex, 16 con, should I just go +2 attack at 4 or PAM or something else? Kinda want PAM for the bonus action utility, but capping str is a prio too.

Not related, but probably Elk Totem or Sea archetype. We already have one barb who is wolf and bear is boring.
>>
File: IMG_0865.jpg (146KB, 400x850px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0865.jpg
146KB, 400x850px
>>51459296
They're pretty fun
>>
>>51459296
There's a couple old 1st ed novels about the Firbolg and their homeland. I'm currently playing a half-firbolg from there, it's a pretty rich area of lore.
>>
>>51459225
6th and 11th level features both cover that.

>>51459292
That sounds neat. How do you mean?
>>
>>51459355
PAM is probably best.

It's basically the same as >>51457796 except you get potential rage damage to every attack which means GWM is less favourable and PAM is more favourable (more attacks which adds +damage to each hit.)
>>
>>51459368
iirc they were pretty different in 1st edition right?

they definitely weren't blue
>>
>>51459355
>>51459444
Actually, if it's level 4, it might not be too bad an idea to get +2 to strength and use two-weapon-fighting. Depends if you find shield+quarterstaff or reach polearms more fun than going around with two axes or something, because they do pretty similar levels of damage.
>>
File: Smile and puffiness. Gone..png (145KB, 648x642px) Image search: [Google]
Smile and puffiness. Gone..png
145KB, 648x642px
Google has failed me yet again, so I come to you once more.
Does Undead Thrall's Arcane Tradition Feature of preparing Animate Dead count against the Wizard's learned spells or is it like the Oath Spells in the Paladin list where it doesn't count against your prepared spells?
>>
>>51459619
Does drinking tequila give Kirby the Mexican power? I thought he had to consume the flesh of the still living.
>>
File: Damagechartbarbarian.png (32KB, 707x597px) Image search: [Google]
Damagechartbarbarian.png
32KB, 707x597px
That said, what's a reasonable estimate for how often somebody with GWM kills something with one of their first two attacks and gets a bonus attack awarded from it, and then still has a target in reach to use that bonus attack on?
>>
>>51455109
Discuss water quality, specifically nitrogen content in order to find hidden settlements.

Trees, and grasses, talk to each other when being cut/eaten. Use it to find logging operations quickly.

If there is a nearby, but hidden, dungeon that houses aberrations, you bet your ass a plant would know about it.

Find portals to the Feywild.

Directions to nearest Druid Circle, Treant Chin-Wag, Werewolf Face-to-Face, Warlock Jam Session, Wizard Tower, Witch's Coven, Satanist Team Building Retreat, etc. Anything at least semi-permanent, with at least a minor magic effect.

Find out how long the dragon has been here, and work on its age.

When all else fails, go aberration hunting.
>>
>>51459706
what does nitrogen levels in the soil have to do with hidden settlements?
>>
>>51459644
No. But it gives him the power to party. Till he pukes.
>>
>>51459672
Fuck, forgot to remove a damage modifier.

Damage for non-TWF should cap off at about 26.7 and TWF should cap off at about 24.5 ish.
>>
>>51459394
Well, if there is maybe some ritualistic fighting style or condition, that allows to literally rend the soul from creatures, maybe even trap them. Some Power Word Kill -type of thing, maybe, but with some strict conditions on how its done, such having it be a free action after an opponent has been stunned on this turn.
>>
Ritual Caster for a Rogue Thief, y/n?

Character is a Priest who does sneaky business for the church.
>>
>>51459811
http://www.ecochem.com/t_manure_fert.html
>>
>>51459444
>>51459480

Hmm. True I guess. Gonna get the other option at lvl 8 anyhow. I'll probably go PAM and go mad with a halberd. ty!
>>
>>51460132
If you're just optimizing damage-wise, refer to >>51459672
Except consider the TWF line should be just below the 18 str line.
>>
Does anyone have a pdf of the original birthright campaign setting? I found an adaptation for 5e but I'm looking for the source material.
>>
As promised to the anon using this homebrew of mine, I have "finished" it. Changed some more things around, and made a new capstone. I'm not sure if it is broken or not though, so critique on it would be good.
>>
>>51460244
But will this homebrew make me as powerful as eugenics Morgan?
>>
>>51460244
The level 14 feature is horrendously overpowered, to be honest, especially considering you've already granted everybody on your team a load of initiative anyway and you're likely to go before all the enemies. Completely fucking over action economy and granting the rogue possibly two sneak attacks if you can find a way to trigger their reaction.

Also, I preferred the 'you know where your allies are' level 6 feature to the one there now, given it's kind of a 'no fun allowed' thing that immediately shuts down any players who want to lie about things or prevent the DM trying to create any NPC that joins the party that's supposed to betray them.
>>
>>51460319
>>51460244
>sneak attacks
crit sneak attacks*

If you're alone with a rogue and you surprise an enemy, as long as you roll a higher initiative than the enemy (should be easy, right?) you can potentially get the rogue to have 3 to 4 crit sneak attacks and an extra 2 sneak attacks before the enemy even gets to have a go.
>>
>>51460304
You can try. Won't be as strong as eugenics Owain though.

>>51460319
>>51460339
I struggled with the capstone a bit, would it be better to do it without disadvantage and make it so they can't take reactions?
>>
>>51460182
Not really optimizing damage, but I just want something to do with my bonus action. I guess the 18str at lvl 4 is best, then I can DW or grab a shield if needed.
>>
>>51460244
>once per battle
sounds pretty stronk
Also what constitutes as a separate battle can be ambiguous
I vote once per long rest at level 14 and once per short rest at 17
>>
>>51460368
It'd be better to just not fuck with initiative any more than you already are and definitely not automatically take away all actions. That's like an automatic, no-save AoE stun that only affects enemies once per battle.

Be kinda fun if you had a feature that let you set up impromptu cover and siege weapons and all that, but that sounds far too hard to integrate into a feature, even if it's a capstone feature.

>>51460382
18 strength is best if you want to keep your bonus action free for raging or berzerking or such.
>>
>>51460425
>>51460368
Oh, actually
Rereading it, it says that the enemy has to have already acted that round.

Which sounds really weird. You actually want to have a lower initiative to use it.

Maybe it's not that bad?

Disregard what I said, it's not actually too incredibly powerful, but I think the assassin synergy should be avoided and there really shouldn't be even more features to mess with the initiative, I'm sure the DM will groan at having to reroll initiatives every battle.
>>
>>51457173
pdf plz
>>
>>51460339
How are you getting all these sneak attacks in two rounds? Assuming one is a surprise round and the other is normal combat.
>>
>>51460410
It is a possibility, I was weighing in that sort of long rest resource since I was unsure if it was too strong or not.

>>51460425
The problem comes down to that I wanted a way to have a tactician wizard be able to, flavor wise and mechanically, pull a "you fell for my trap card" sort of thing. Other capstones seemed fairly resourceless and not too strong.

>>51460453
To explain my intent. It was to have all enemies reroll, whether it was the first turn or the fifth, and to have them be shuffled around to give the feeling of "your plan worked and they're dancing around like idiots, surprised".
>>
>>51460474
The way I'd read it was 'enemies that have not acted yet cannot take their turn', essentially.

I have reading comprehension issues plsnobully
>>
>>51459193
What do people think about a once per Long Rest Antimagic Field?
>>
File: 1481577518007.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1481577518007.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>51459193
Done
>>
>>51459619
Wizards don't have a maximum learned spells limit.

And yes, preparing Animate Dead would count against your prepared spells for the day.
>>
I want to make biggs n wedge as bounty hunters, hunting a member of the party due to his background of killing a corrupt noble.

The party of 5 is level 4. Whats a good way to create a stat block for them? I don't want them to be deadly, but I want them to be tough.

I'm thinking of making Wedge a champion/fighter using a giant 2h shield disc, that he can throw and is magic and comes back.

Biggs I'm I have no idea about.
>>
>>51460496
The wording is really out there, I'm struggling to understand it.
>>
>>51460530
I kek'd.
>>
>>51460561
Gladiator and Berzerker NPCs.

Admittedly, I never read the Biggs and Wedge books, so I probably don't know anything.
>>
>>51460488
If you really want more ways to fuck with initiative, I'd limit it to one monster so the DM isn't having to completely overhaul the table.

Say, bonus action, choose a creature and make it reroll initiative, and it can't act if it has already acted in the round.

But then that's a bit boring.

I think maybe a feature about actually laying traps out wouldn't hurt, one that rewards the players for setting the stage rather than just automatically 'we're the best tacticians, we planned for this' whenever anything attacks them for the first time.

Say, 'You can spend a minute of preparation on an area, setting up any combination of the three magical traps below in the immediate area within about 100ft that you can access, up to three traps' and then some trap details or something, though that might get a bit wordy.

I think even besides the 'DM has to reroll a load of dice and change the intiative table which they already kinda wrote down' and incompatibility with other methods of initiative, it does feel like it's abusing the same initiative gimmick too much and it should try something else, and I like the idea of actually rewarding players for trying to set the stage for a fight. Not that I'm saying to use my above idea specifically, it's just an example.
>>
File: dodgerlafftears.gif (3MB, 377x372px) Image search: [Google]
dodgerlafftears.gif
3MB, 377x372px
>>51460530
well done anon
>>
>>51460594
>>51460488
Oh, by 'abusing the initiative gimmick too much' I meant
'There's already a feature about getting your group good initiative, you don't need features that screw with the initiative even more'.
>>
Is there any rhyme or reason to how attack bonuses are calculated in the Monster Manual? I'm trying to figure out how the hobgoblin warlord has a +9 to hit and I just don't see it. It seems like he should have a +6 (+3 strength, +3 proficiency).
>>
How many new features would a reworked Sorc need to make it suck less?

One? Two? None?
>>
>>51460632
Proficiency is for players.
>>
>>51460632
Expertise.
Prof + Prof + STR
3 + 3 + 3 = 9

He's really good at stabbing, apparently.
>>
>>51460635
Well if a feature wasn't actively disadvantageous, it would always only take one to make a class suck less.
>>
>>51460635
Give them bonus spells for each Origin, and let them know all Metamagic, but they can only prepare a certain amount of them.

Done.
>>
>>51460644
But monsters use a proficiency for some things, like certain saving throws. For that purpose they treat their CR as their character level. It doesn't actually say anywhere that it's used to calculate their attack rolls though.
>>
>>51460635
I still think the best way to rework sorc is make them more of the 'spontaneous caster' feel.

'But Anon!' they cry. 'Every caster is a spontaneous caster!'
.. And yes, but that's not it - the idea is the sorcerer has a great time improvising with their element.
As I've suggested before, a fire dragon sorcerer can basically spew a cantrips level of flames from their hands or a burning hands level of flame from their hands or maybe even a fireball level of flame from their hands. Without spells known taken up.

There just needs to be a simple formula and effects for an 'innate spellcasting' like element-spewing ability that allows a player to shape their basic spells as they please and try fun things out of combat and it leaves them with their spell list mostly being for utility rather than combat, even if it's smaller than a wizard's.
>>
>>51460594
>>51460620
Hmm. The trap idea I feel like is semi-out of place, not flavor wise but mechanically, since it is something that the players themselves should do(via actually buying traps). Me and my friends have tried to come up with multiple ideas, but most were pretty much "fuck with initiative".

Other ideas were giving your turn to someone else, swapping places with someone initiative wise, and as you mentioned too, having a creature reroll initiative. The latter wasn't really good though for obvious reasons.

Would granting mass disadvantage to attacks for one round on enemies be too strong?
>>
>>51460647
I mean like, to make the Sorc competitive with Wizards and other spellcasters.

I've been dicking around with a homebrew Sorc rework (because who hasn't) and wrote up a couple of ideas, but if I implement all of them it's going to be overboard (because it's homebrew)

>>51460660
>Give them bonus spells for each Origin
Haven't done that, although someone else did

>let them know all Metamagic, but they can only prepare a certain amount of them
Done. Capstone is having them all prepared.
>>
>>51460668
I'd rather scrap the Sorcerer and make something else. I quite like the idea of a spellcaster who has a tremendous amount of innate magic, but their archetypes are more about how they channel that magic into something to make them productive.

Kinda like how the Iron Kingdoms Gunmage was. A Sorcerer who attuned to firearms in order to really manifest their might. Or something like a Golem-mancer, whose power is shaped by building constructs to serve them. Or a Battlemage type guy who takes all that epic spellcasting power and condenses within himself until he basically becomes a shonen protagonist.

Just, something different.
>>
>>51460668
>the idea is the sorcerer has a great time improvising with their element
This seems like it would work for Draconic and Tempest origins but I'm not sure how Wild Magic fits in, they don't really have an element... ?
>>
>>51460669
There's a notable difference between the feature and using glyphs (glyphs cost a load of money, people) and traps (traps are mundane, not magical, and likely have more limited effects and such). You could actually grant a number of free glyph of warding uses, though.
But I'll admit it's somewhat out of place.

It might be a bit strong, or might not be, since at around those levels there's a lot of advantage/disadvantage being thrown around. It still seems a bit boring, though.
>>
>>51460714
Redesign it into being literally a fucking psyker in D&D.

>>51460708
I don't think that other guy's idea to merge it into warlock was so bad. I mean, a dragon sorcerer is pretty much a warlock with a dragon patron. A wild mage is.. They have a weird patron of sorts.
>>
>Use Repelling Blast so stuff doesn't rape my face all the time
>DM is trying to house rule so I can't use it unless he says so
Fuck this shit.
>>
>>51460782
Yeah, that's one of the problems I kept coming up with and why I wanted to change the capstone. Boring, and not fluffy enough. Also, is this a better ribbon ability?

"Cautious Commander
At 6th level, your paranoia enabled you to secretly plan a contingency without anyone else knowing, your companions don't have the slightest clue. You magically sense and know the location of your companions as long as they are on the same plane as you.

Additionally, if they are controlled by another force, entity, or someone is impersonating them, you immediately know something is wrong and they aren't acting normal."
>>
>>51460805
>I don't think that other guy's idea to merge it into warlock was so bad
It wasn't bad, no. I was just saying, I'd prefer to see a really fresh take on the Sorcerer.
>>
>>51460820
I don't think you have to go as far as automatically knowing if something's wrong with them. If the DM wants that to be part of the game, they'd rather it not be automatically foiled. Probably. Instead you could probably work out based on their location that something's amiss, maybe.

Other than that I like it, aside from the flavour text. Feels like it should be more general so it can either be 'I'm really paranoid so I stuck trackers to all of you' or 'I just know everyone well enough to guess where they are or have an uncanny feeling when something's wrong' or 'I've been with everyone for so long I can essentially track them by magical residue I've been giving off' or something. I wouldn't stretch it plane-wide, but it's fine if it's something like 'as long as they don't leave over a mile away from you' or something. So you can still, without metagaming track them down in a dungeon if you get worried.

>>51460807
Is there any specific restrictions?
It's not unreasonable to say 'large creatures only push back 5ft, huge creatures not at all'.
>>
>>51460891
Currently he wants to do I can only push Large or smaller.

This is because I pushed a huge creature away in order to save an ally.
>>
>>51460917
That's completely fair.

If they make arbitrary rulings like 'well, it's a medium creature, but I don't feel like it this time' then that's not fair.

It's already a powerful ability, but it makes little sense to push back massive creatures with it unless you can land a load of consecutive hits or something, and it's frustrating as hell for the DM.
>>
Participated in my first real dungeons and dragons game last Tuesday. Playing a warlock, great old one patron and planning on going pact of the tome. Any tips on play style? Also in terms of role playing how can I make my character "fun" to play in terms of interactions with PCs and NPCs? Being a dour cultist 100% of the time doesn't sound enjoyable
>>
>>51460972
you could always go the "Hello sir, have you heard the word of the good lord Cthulu?" route, that can be fun
>>
>>51460951
Yea I think we can all agree warlocks need all the nerfs they can get.
>>
>>51460972
GOOlock with a Tome is a great spooky spellcaster. You don't have to be gloomy about it though, you can have fun. My DM ran Old Ones with personalities. Weird ones, but personalities nonetheless. Mine was obsessed with the emotion of Greed, and so he naturally empowered greedy bastards like my upcoming thief. Said thief was a conartist, and so always acted suave and personable with everyone around him. Which was odd, since he was claiming to be a Wizard.

Make a charcter you want to role play as. Then make them a Warlock. Simple.
>>
>>51460891
What about this? For both the ribbon and the capstone.

"Camaraderie
At 6th level, you've taken a lot of time to get to know your companions inside and out, giving you insight into who they are and what really motivates them. You magically know the general direction of your companions as long as they are within 1 mile of you.

Additionally when you can see them, if they are controlled by another force, entity, or someone is impersonating them, you immediately know something is wrong and they aren't acting normal."

And

"Tip the Scales
Starting at 14th level, your natural talent and battlefield experience combined have given you not only the ability to help your allies, but also hinder your foes. When you use your action to cast a spell at a hostile creature, after you cast it you can use the help action to hinder the creature as a bonus action, giving them disadvantage on their first attack, saving throw, or ability check."
>>
>>51460972
If you ever get the urge to hit something in melee, don't forget that you can get shillelagh as a cantrip through pact of the tome and you can get Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade as cantrips that can vaguely keep up with damage with eldritch blast. I'd keep it solely as a back-up option, though.

You don't have to fit the stereotype if there's a reason for your ties to the old ones.
Say, you could be a half-insane researcher who has seen things they're not supposed to see but continues to research.
>>
>>51460972
>Play style
Take Eldritch Blast and spam it at everything

>Roleplay
Make them whatever you want. My group's warlock is basically a college dropout / former sorority girl who misses her partying days and has a long history of poor decision-making.
>>
>>51461043
Disadvantage on save throws all the time can be pretty damn strong, but considering it conflicts with using the help action on an ally instead, I suppose it might work out. Or they might make an attack before the save. .. So, I suppose it might work, actually.

I'd say it's a safe enough capstone for now, but you might want to think it over.

As for the level 6 ability the only thing I'm at odds with is whether it'll annoy the DM by limiting them, but honestly it happens so rarely I don't think it matters enough. The only thing I'd do is say that you have to use some sort of action to ask the DM 'is this person acting suspicious?' rather than assuming your DM will remember you have the ability for when it happens. But then, that's like autosucceeding insight..
Perhaps you could say 'You have advantage on all insight checks against your close companions or anyone impersonating them.'
>>
>>51461018
>Warlocks
>Needing nerfs
What?
>>
Who needs spell slots anyway?

Next edition of this shitmonger, sorry to shit up the thread again.
Most notable difference (that changes how the whole class plays) is the change entirely to use only one resource, the Spell Motes. They are used to fuel both Spells and Metamagic. Now that I think about it, I'm getting some really heavy Exalted chills / vibes.

For those wondering what this Class is even about (there's no fluff yet, so I don't blame you), it's about the multi-faceted ways to use magic, other than spells alone. That's why it might seem incoherent.

I might also change the spell motes from a long rest to a short rest, but reduce the total amount of them or something.

Live updates: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rymjKpUjvx

Also, the question of the day: If I get this shit coherent and most importantly, not-broken, could it make a sensible replacement for the Sorcerer? I know shit is still quite dickeningly powerful, but everything can be toned down. I think I've done a decent job with some of them at least, while trying to keep them unique. I did realize though that both Conduit and Wild Magic focuses are basically just insane glass cannons as of now, especially Wild Magic, with their zero-expenditure spells and misfires.
>>
>>51461130
The guy I was replying to was in favor of putting restrictions on the repelling blast feature.

I was being incredibly sarcastic.
>>
File: 1388381333920.png (670KB, 700x563px) Image search: [Google]
1388381333920.png
670KB, 700x563px
>>51461131
>it's about the multi-faceted ways to use magic
So basically what I was saying here: >>51460708

Huh. I guess I'll be watching with interest. Hang on a few minutes while I check this out.
>>
>>51460951
>>51461018
>arbitrarily deciding to nerf a class ability with a simple mechanic after the player has picked it because abloobloobloo
>okay at all

This is something that you decide to do before letting the player pick the ability, or even the class at all.
>>
>>51461164
Oh.

Sarcasm does not translate well to text.
>>
>>51461018
No, it's the DM's fault for not actually reading the PHB and seeing what Warlock can do.

I've had to explain every class feature of Warlock to him at least three times each.
>>
>>51461202
Warlocks are the most special of the snowflakes among magic users.
>>
>>51461018
It's hardly a major nerf. How often do you fight huge creatures?
Being able to pushback a huge creature in a fight is ridiculous. A warlock, especially a sorlock or a fighter sorlock can potentailly completely lock a huge creature out of being able to move anywhere by pinning it to a wall with constant pushbacks.

Warlock is actually pretty neat with agonizing blast and pushback, and works effectively in a mostly-ranged party where their at-will pushback can keep monsters from attacking entirely.

It's pretty fucking entitled to say 'No, this ability does not say it has anything it doesn't work on, therefore everything shall move for me. You see this mushroom? It's 1km wide underground, but I say it shall move for me.'

There really aren't that many huge creatures, you know.

>>51461189
I'll agree you should warn the player beforehand, but to be honest I didn't think of it until today where some hours back the subject came up.
>>
>>51461276
>>51461018
Oh, speaking of which, does your DM disallow multiclassing as well?
If yes, that's pretty stupid, and that's honestly the biggest warlock nerf considering warlcoks/sorcerers are pretty good with multiclasses.
>>
>>51459312
This better?
>>
>>51461297
Yes, he does.
>>
File: e38.png.jpg (40KB, 640x527px) Image search: [Google]
e38.png.jpg
40KB, 640x527px
>>51461276
>It's pretty fucking entitled to want your class abilities to work as the rules said it works when you selected it
>>
5e related >>51461320

Not gonna copypasta the whole thing here
>>
>>51461189
>>51461202
>>51461276
>>51461297

What I said here >>51461018 was a joke. I understand that hampering warlocks in any way is almost always a terrible idea.
>>
>>51461336
Do they also ban devil's sight?
Do they also ban fun?

>>51461367
The DM's role is to rule bullshit out of the game.
Of course, they have to maintain balance at the same time, and as long as it's only restricted to huge or larger creatures I'd say it's still balanced.

It's pretty entitled to assume all abilities always work no matter what just because the book said so. It's not so entitled to expect the abilities to still do their function. Repelling blasts function is still true, it just has a slight tweak that prevents it from being abused where I doubt even the guys who made the rulebook would allow it in their own campaign unless there was a situation that made it make sense.
>>
>>51460632
I think it's what this anon (>>51460646) said. Hobgoblin Warlord is the only creature I saw that seemingly has Expertise with their attacks.
>>
>>51461131
>>51461166
Not what I was expecting, but not bad. Some notes:

Recheck Dragon heads. Once per turn use? I thought you needed a rest between breaths as a Dragonborn.

Bat Sonar. The +3 to passive perception is odd. Just make it a +5 like the book/errata suggest.

Mantis Scythes. Too fucking good. A +1 magic weapon (oh shit two of them!) at 3rd-level? Fuck YES.

Ent's Bark. The 18 AC thing is dumb since you can't increase your AC with Barkskin on.

Golem's Skin. This applies to all of these, but making them large might not be for the best. You could give them the Goliath feature called Powerful Build. Basically gives them all the same benefits.

Beholder ones. Ah, no. Way too good on all cylinders.

Wild Magic is highly abusable for a buffing caster. Just target enemies with buffs and watch as they auto-target you instead.

Spell Absorption. Feels like it would be better if it allowed you to take Disadvantage on a spell save in order to conduit it.

And that's it from a brief reading. Seems interesting, and I'd love to see it after some more work.
>>
>>51461434
I haven't taken Devil's Sight yet because I expect it to be banned.
>>
>>51461434
If "the guys who made the rulebook" didn't want you to repelling blast creatures of any size they should have written it as such.
>>
my warlock wants to light a building on fire with prestidigitation. I told him no.

But can it?
>>
I come with two problems today.

How do I stat a Dire Bear. I can't find an official one and I've never given a monster stats before.

and

I'm trying a puzzle out on my party today and I've given them the classic "There's a timer counting down. The button resets the timer. The doors unlock when the timer reaches 0."

How do I deal with the timer. I was thinking about doing combat rounds with free turn order. The timer ends after they collectively take 3 rounds.
>>
>>51461464
I'll keep working on it, good suggestions. I'll save them and check up on them after I finish arguing in another thread with the smuggest anon I've ever met on 4chan.
>>
>>51461519
He'd have to build up the kindling first like a good little arsonist, but yes.

>>51461544
>smuggest anon I've ever met on 4chan.
Post link.
>>
>>51461519
The only feasible way is if a candle is on its side and he uses the spell to light it. That would take a good while to become a rolling inferno.
>>
>>51460951
>That's completely fair.
I disagree. The fair thing to do is to allow battle master maneuvers to work on creatures bigger than Large as well. Maybe allow pushing larger creatures too, but with additional penalties to lower the chance of success.
>>
>>51461519
what >>51461559 and >>51461569 said, Prestidigitation has a set list of effects and isn't going to magically make a house light on fire.
>>
>>51461569

Just follow the thread from there. >>51461324
I know I'm falling hard for that guy's bait but goddarnit does it annoy me. Especially when last time I met an anon this stubborn I actually got good tips out of them.
>>
>>51461622
Wait, nope, wrong link. Shit. >>51455847
>>
>>51461127
Alright, is this better? Is this too good?
>>
>being this mad about someones homebrew changes to a class

who cares? Are you in their game? Why does what someone else do in their game bother you so much?
>>
>>51461678
Who are you quoting?
>>
The people crying about someone "nerfing warlock"
>>
>>51461539
>I'm trying a puzzle out on my party today and I've given them the classic
Does the room have the decon shower look to it, but the chemical vats are empty so the shower heads just hiss as they pump regular air into the room? And if you're gaming at a table, a real timer would be a neat touch.
>>
>>51461734
Seriously, quote people you're talking to.

That said, the Warlock thing is stupid. One anon made a sarcastic remark and it started a shitshow.
>>
>>51461737
Online game.

I like that idea though. Make it seem like something is happening. I was already trying to figure out random shit to fill the room with.
>>
>>51461500
They might not have thought that far ahead, or wanted it to be up to the DM's decision.

Just because the DM doesn't allow you to deal full damage to a target using your fire shield when you're underwater and the target is out of water doesn't mean the DM's a bad DM 'because what they did isn't in the rules'. They're a good DM as long as they don't completely make the ability useless or shut down your options, because they've ruled on what most normal people would agree makes sense and avoids the game becoming a joke where the new propulsion method is to sit in a castle while a warlock propels you along.

>>51461571
Extra penalties are good if there's anything to apply penalties to in the first place (it isn't an autosuccess), otherwise simply reducing the effect (5ft pushback instead of 10ft) is reasonable.
But at the end of the day, it's fair as long as the ability still functions as intended - the warlock can push back MOST enemies with it, except for a few exceptions that don't make sense anyway.
>>
>>51461734
Who are you quoting?
>>
Grappling rules are pretty easy in 5e. Athletics vs Ath/Acr. Dope.

What happens when medium size PC tries to grab Large creature? Or Huge. Or Small. Or Tiny. Is there any bonus or minus to that?
>>
>>51461872
You can still try if the creature is one size category larger. The large creature might get advantage though.

Anything two or more size categories larger might not be allowed to be grappled at all unless the DM rules something for it. Your DM should come up with something reasonable if you provide them with what you want to do, such as 'I want to hold its wing down to prevent it from flying'.
>>
>>51461453
The Monster stat blocks exist in this weird purgatory of
>Monster stat blocks have no rules!
>But also monster stat blocks tend to respect the mechanics of the game

Occasionally it implies interesting things. Sometimes you'll see claims like "Wolves are Finesse fighters" and "Constrictor Snakes (both kinds) have proficiency in grappling." Now, no one can say weather or not those things are actually true, but knowing that the MM uses game mechanics as a guideline, they certainly seem like plausible explanations. There are plenty of other examples that don't seem to obey game mechanics though, like Warhorses (proficiency for damage but not to hit) and Riding Horses (Finesse to hit, Strength for damage), or how a Goat's knockdown is weaker than a Wolf's even though their Strength is the same, and how a Lich is 1 point short of having expertise in Arcana. As a side category there are even things that use poorly chosen mechanics, like both Hyenas and Mastiffs appear to use Strength for attacks even though their Dex is higher.

At the end of the day it's usually not a big deal how these things were derived (exception: UA Ranger Beastmaster), so it mostly all gets handwaved.
>>
>>51461231
That reflects badly on 5e, not warlocks. Casters should feel different.
>>
>>51461464
>Beholder ones. Ah, no. Way too good on all cylinders.

Sight, too? It's basically Devil's Sight Invocation at 14th level, and using 6 motes ( like casting a 6th level spell) to get a weaker True Seeing without the Material cost for a shorter period of time? Hell, I think it needs a little buff, to be honest. 25 gp is nothing for material cost at those levels.

I can get that the Eye Ray one is pretty sick (although the first 6 rays are not that amazing, to be honest, especially on 18th level).

That's the only one I'll comment now, but I will attend the others tomorrow and post the progress on the next thread or the one after it.
>>
>>51456628
I'm extremely late replying but thank you very much
>>
>>51461853
>They might not have thought that far ahead, or wanted it to be up to the DM's decision.
They haven't said anything in the errata, so it should stand.
>>
>>51462055
Sight probably gets a pass.
>>
>>51461989
I'm pretty sure some of the things you mentioned were errata'd, specifically the warhorse and riding horse, and lich should have +19 to Arcana.

Almost always the monsters WILL follow the math somehow, even if they use weird ability scores to determine attack bonus or saving throws. So when the math is off, you should probably correct it on your cheat sheet or roll20 sheet or whatever.
>>
>>51462176
Well, say the DM put godzilla in.

You eldritch blast them.

Is godzilla going to now get pushed by the eldritch blasts, or are you going to expect the DM to call that out as bullshit?

Semantics of how and why godzilla is there aside, this is what differentiates a 'meme game' from a 'serious game'.
>>
>>51462229
Godzilla is fucking huge, you do realize that a slight push back of 10 feet (or 20 with two blasts) is nothing to a creature that already probably takes up more than a 4x4 area?
>>
>>51462229
Yes, it should. The Eldritch Blast is basically all the Warlock has going for it, you really shouldn't be neutering the only real thing the Warlock offers to a group.

Either that, or you let the Warlock take a new Invocation.
>>
>>51462252
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that something the warlock is outputting 3 gigawatts of energy over 6 seconds, assuming godzilla weighs as much as what a google says a skyscraper weighs.

The warlock has just produced enough power to power two million fucking homes for six seconds.

I don't care if you say 'But physics doesn't apply!' because this isn't even advanced physics, this is a simple measurement of force, time and distance. If you say that the basic dimensions and forces of the world no longer apply, you're basically just begging for the world to collapse.

Now, you don't necessarily have to make a fairy get pushed 20ft or not allow a large creature to get pushed at all, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

>>51462320
You do realize we're not dramatically nerfing repelling blast or anything, right? We're just saying 'those few creatures that are huge or larger won't be affected'
Otherwise you might as well say 'Okay, creatures that are immune to magical weapons are no longer allowed in the game because it kills the only thing martials have going for them unless you give them magical weapons'.
You don't face magic immune enemies all day long,
>>
>>51461131
>you can play a monster girl
10/10
>>
>>51461539
>How do I stat a Dire Bear.
Any way you want.

But here's your handout:

Dire Brown Bear
Huge Beast, unaligned
AC: 13
HP: 8d12+40 (96)
Speed: 30, climb 20

STR: 21 (+6), DEX 10 (0), CON 20 (+5), INT 2 (-4), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 7 (-2)
Perception +3, passive 13, Keen Smell

Multiattack (Bite, Claw)
Bite: +8 to hit, 11 (1d8+6) piercing
Claw: +8 to hit, 14 (2d6+6) slashing
Trampling Charge: 20ft move and single claw attack, DC15 knockdown, bite attack as bonus action if knockdown succeeds
CR 2 (close to being CR 3)

Sanity check it for your party, I pulled that out of my ass after looking at Wolf, Dire Wolf, and the MM/DMG sections on creating monsters.
>>
>>51462320
>>51462344
Sorry, screwed up on that part.

I meant non-magical-weapon-immune enemies that are immune to physical damage.

It's not the end of the world if your main gimmick doesn't work on every single enemy in the game.
>>
>>51462344
Then you have two options here: Tell the Warlock you don't like how Repelling Blast interacts with your encounters and give him the chance to take a new Invocation, or you ask him if he'd be fine with it only working on creatures that are Large or smaller.
>>
>>51462439
>>51462445
Or, third option: If the enemy has some kind of magic immunity / resistance, tell the Warlock the blast can damage but not pushback. They're (hopefully) a reasonable player.
>>
>>51460530
Well this is my next character.
>>
>>51456925
No thoughts on this?
>>
>>51462445
And that's fair enough. It's even okay to suggest you might homebrew up some slight boon if they're feeling underpowered.

But there's no need to turn the game into a joke about pushing legendary dragons around a maze 'because the book lets me do it' or stunlocking the king of the titans into a corner using eldritch blasts when it can barely be justified.
>>
>>51462376
Typo: Knockdown should be DC14

Or not, whatever.
>>
>>51462362
I... That didn't even cross my mind. I just though of this hunch-backed, gross mishmash of multiple monsters all the way through. Especially on first levels, fucking christ.

Like, the most I thought of that was making Gazer-chan with that level 18 Beholder transformation, but even then you would still be a mishmash of multiple types.

That just gave me an idea to replace the Beholder Eyestalks with some weaker beholder, like Gazer or Gauth, and turn the 1d6 to 1d4 and 1d10 to 1d6. Thoughts?
>>
>>51462481
At level 2 they're going to be pretty squishy still, I might err on the side of caution. Unless you're running for a group of grizzled vets who are expecting casualties, in that case go nuts.
>>
>>51462376
Also, isn't 21 strength +5? Maybe it wasn't.

Seems sensible enough though.
>>
>>51461853
>a joke where the new propulsion method is to sit in a castle while a warlock propels you along.
That's funny because Eldritch Blast doesn't work on objects.
>>
>>51462578
Ah fuck, yeah that's right, I had pegged it at 22 initially (+6) and then when I double checked the damage charts (apparently bears punch above their weight btw) I dropped it to 21 but forgot to change the mod. Good catch.
>>
>>51462592
It's now a living castle, or a turtle the size of a castle.

No, you know what? Let's get the disk world out. You cast eldritch blast on one of the elephants until it slips off and the entire world falls apart.
>>
>>51462229
>Well, say the DM put godzilla in.
What, like the Tarrasque? Which is so immune to Eldritch Blasts that you'll fly back from casting at it?
>>
>>51462592
Actually, that aside, your DM is shit if they say 'you can't eldritch blast this pot because it's not a creature and you have to target a creature'

'PHB is the exact law you must follow'-fags get out.

>>51462636
That's immune for a reason other than its size.
>>
>>51462665
>That's immune for a reason other than its size.
Just a funny picture.

>>51462665
>'PHB is the exact law
It is the exact law.
>law you must follow'-fags get out.
But it's not one you have to follow. I just don't want to hear complaints about it when you don't.

Maybe Eldritch Blast lets you hit them in their soul. Punch them right in the animus. You have been granted the power to kill your enemies and you want to use it to break pots? You can't kill pots. Read the contract before you sign it.
>>
>>51462628
>No, you know what? Let's get the disk world out. You cast eldritch blast on one of the elephants until it slips off and the entire world falls apart.
You know they say there used to be a fifth elephant...
>>
I like to think Eldritch Blast is just that; Eldritch. It's spooky because it works. It SHOULDN'T push around very large creatures like it does, but it still happens!

3spoopy5me
>>
Does Comprehend Languages allow me to know Druidic?
>>
>>51462775
You'd think it'd be psychic damage or something if it was like that. Not very many things are immune or resistant to force, so you'd expect it to work on pots too.

I'm just on the lookout now because there've been too many cases where people on /5eg/ seem to be in outrage about things like how not following the PHB and allowing someone to, say, sneak attack with a worse weapon will break the game.
>>
>UA cancelled last week
>UA cancelled this week
>UA cancelled next week after they forget to finish it thanks to the handegg game
>no Mystic until March
>>
>>51463011
>no Mystic
God I hope so. Fuck that thing.
>>
>>51462901
Yes IMO
>>
>>51463063
Cool. Seems to ruin their whole "secret language no gurlz allowed" stuff though.
>>
>>51463061
wizard get ye gone
>>
>>51463011
>after they forget to finish it thanks to the handegg game
Fuck I almost want to screencap this for when it happens
>>
I'll have a puzzle in a mini-dungeon. Essentially for the party to enter it, they have to drink from the fountain in the first chamber, or a magic invisible barrier won't let them pass. How can I hint that they have to drink it?, considering this dungeon is actually an entryway for Slaads into the material plane, so they have no reason to leave a message, and the liquid in the fountain is actually chaosstuff.
>>
>>51463089
I really want a good "Psionic" class, I really fucking do. But so far the Mystic has been either underwhelming, or downright awful every time they bring it up. It needs a complete overhaul.
>>
>>51463087
You're still a slow reader with Comprehend Languages so it's not like you could devour all their lore in a week. Assuming Druids had books and shit anyway
>>
>>51463136
>books
>shit
I assume they have the latter at least. Bears in the woods and all that.
>>
>>51463130
>Take 2 Mystic
>Immortal is good
>Mystic is good if you're a cheeselord
>he doesn't realize the whole thing has been reworked to include 50 disciplines and S I X archetypes
>>
>>51463087
I'd say yes, though I've been torn on exactly how to present it. The fact that creatures who don't know the language have to pass a check to even NOTICE it seems to imply it can be hidden in plain sight, like a particular shape of branch or color of leaf might be a secret druidic message.
>>
>>51463153
>Bears in the woods and all that.
I wish for your DM to do harm to your most treasured character.
>>
>>51463174
Ha! Joke's on you! I don't even *have* any friends!

;_;
>>
>>51463158
Link? Last I checked it was 10 levels of utter shit.
>>
File: checking his pockets for change.jpg (16KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
checking his pockets for change.jpg
16KB, 500x461px
>>51463195
>>
>>51461464
Continuing with the other ones.

Changes can be seen from: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rymjKpUjvx

>Recheck Dragon heads. Once per turn use? I thought you needed a rest between breaths as a Dragonborn.

Well, having only one use in monstrous form would make the form quite redundant, wouldn't it? I added a harsh mote cost for uses after the first one.

>Bat Sonar. The +3 to passive perception is odd. Just make it a +5 like the book/errata suggest.
Done

>Mantis Scythes. Too fucking good. A +1 magic weapon (oh shit two of them!) at 3rd-level? Fuck YES.
Basically gives the same benefit as Alter Self -spell's weapon arms (except always slashing), so I count it as passable.

>Ent's Bark. The 18 AC thing is dumb since you can't increase your AC with Barkskin on.
True, deleted

>Golem's Skin. This applies to all of these, but making them large might not be for the best. You could give them the Goliath feature called Powerful Build. Basically gives them all the same benefits.
Nice catch, done.

>Beholder ones. Ah, no. Way too good on all cylinders.
Sight is actually quite fine as it is (I think), reminiscent of Devil's Sight Invocation Warlocks get.
Eyestalks? Nerfed them to be the eyestalks of a Gauth rather than a full Beholder.

>Wild Magic is highly abusable for a buffing caster. Just target enemies with buffs and watch as they auto-target you instead.
Misfire causes now automatic psychic damage equal to 1d6 per Spell level.

>Spell Absorption. Feels like it would be better if it allowed you to take Disadvantage on a spell save in order to conduit it.
This one is tricky, I wanted to do it somewhat like Monk's Deflect Missiles, except for spells, ya know? Didn't change yet

Shit, answering this to a dying thread. Whatever, I tried.
>>
>>51462376
Thank you. Probably gonna alter the stats some but I appreciate the framework.
>>
>>51463266
Man, why the fuck doesn't this stuff render in Edge the same as in Chrome?
I don't want to have to install another fucking browser ;_;
>>
>>51463266
>Shit, answering this to a dying thread. Whatever, I tried.
It's fine. When we switch over to the next general I'll link a post there to this one to talk about it. Or you could repost. Whatever.
>>
>>51463318
For you.

>>51463326
I gotta go, but I will check the next thread when I get back.
>>
>>51463368
>For you.
Thanks anon ur da best
>>
>>51463206
Mearls tweeted before New Years that he finished the first draft of the next Mystic playtest, full levels 1-20, 50 disciplines, and six subclasses/archetypes. Along with a Fighter Martial Archetype that uses Psionics called the Sohei.

Later earlier in January he tweeted about all the editing the draft is going through before it hits Unearthed Arcana for the next playtest.
>>
Thinking of rolling a Forge Cleric, What are the ins and outs, and how do I get the most out of the shitty lack of channel divinity.
>>
So thinking of going Tomelock with Shillelagh with a wooden sword for gay badass warrior trope, should I take fighter up enough to get second attack or go Paladin for it?
>>
>>51463686
Paladin would be better. You'd then get aura of protection at level 6 paladin, and also more spell slots.
>>
>>51461327
Mmmm, yes
>>
Highlights of the adventures of Dr.Kein Richtigef Artz Plague Doctor Alchemist and all around nice guy

>>Desert trip with cadre of slaves we rescued from Neogi through the desert
>>Thank goodness for Decatur of endless water and medicine skill
>>Brutal trek interrupted by Manscorpions
>>Aww crap we gotta fight the Rock?
>>Flying in Robo-Vulture I tip the party off to half thier number being hidden behind the dunes
>>Only logical plan is full frontal assault all across initiative order
>>We use flanking rules so half the party gets brutalized
>>Paladin to save dddaayyyDpyble miss
>>Bard to save the ddaayy Nat 19 on saves
>>That sure is a lot of ones on my fire bombs
>>Poison and chain grapples everywhere
>>Turn things around by throwing myself into fray and letting the Assassin get Flanking/SA
>>YaY after battle I can patch up everyone really well
>>Say is that a giant sandstorm incoming?
>>Ok leomunds hut to cover the slaves then try and form a tent structure off it to protect the horses and the other guys pull a Empire strikes back with Scorpion bodies
>>75% worked
>>Only two bouts of heat induced delirium and one vulture dive rescue on sinking PC which barely worked
>>Finally find desert city to rest recover drop off NPCs and prep for next part of series of quests

Overall the damage I did felt a little low and I don't know how much potionbombs will help vs bigger monsters and/or things with good Dex saves. Out of combat utility was great the healing draught is like a high level cure wounds slot per party member. I think Ritual caster is a must to give more utility as well. Overall loads of fun but definitely with limitations
>>
>>51463797
If he's doing that, he might as well start off as a paladin, to get the proficiency with heavy armor and martial weapons.

If he's going full Green Knight nature warrior, he could play it off as pledging himself to a particular fey via the Oath of Ancients.
>>
>>51463949

Oh and considering that my damage felt barely passable I can't imagine how bad it would be for the gunsmith with lower damage awkward AOEs and no utility. Really glad I thought of a fun concept for an Alchemist
>>
>>51463949
Wait, Artificer doesn't get Ritual Caster?

What the fug?

If anything they should be the fuckers who INVENTED ritual casting!
>>
>>51464077
Agreed, they should have Ritual Casting. And probably 5th level spells.
>>
>>51463561
Whelp. I guess we'll find out when it gets here.
>>
>>51464038
Gunsmith does more damage. It's just they're less limited in utility.. And boring often.

At least, from what I'm seeing.

At least they have good range.

>>51463949
When you start including a robot companion in damage output, the damage output is pretty damn high, especially if you make good use of AoEs.

Other than that, your AC is pretty damn good considering you can easily get half plate for 17 AC, shield for 19 AC and you can self-cast shield of faith for 21 AC. Nothing stunningly spectacular, but careful positioning and walking away makes you pretty tough.
Also I guess you could've thrown thunderstones around if you took those to give people advantage against prone targets, but -

Who the fuck needs advantage when you have bullshit flanking rules? Why doesn't the DM just give everybody advantage all the time?
Screw flanking rules.

>>51464077
Do they even have anything that can be cast as a ritual?
>>
>>51464148
>>51464077
Oh, right, they have detect magic and identify as ritual-only spells at level 1.
>>
I'm thinking of rolling a Gnome Banneret bard that charge into to battle on a giant war house that he need help getting on top of. I'm starting the campaign at level 5.

Who wanna bet how long he will survive?
>>
>>51464093
Youre in luck, me and a friend just made a artificer rework today that does exactly that, check it out here:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryUW-Qovl
>>
>>51464148
I know they gave it spells from the existing pool of spells, but I also think that Artificers should have some class specific spells to do unique things.

Like, digging back into some of the spells introduced for Eberron or even some of the powers made for the 4E powers.

Actually, maybe make the unique spells tied to the subclasses?

Keep Alchemist, Gunsmith probably sparingly, a Mechanical Servant focused subclass, or maybe a dragon shards focused Artificer for setting specific stuff.
>>
>>51464232
I hate dumb shitty meme characters like this that are garbage on purpose. I hope he dies in char gen
>>
>>51464232
>war house
>>
>>51464077

Yeah I took the feat for rituals because you really really need those options especially with a lot of your spells already being available as rituals

>>51464148

Its close Thundermonger and Acid Bombs are pretty comparable but Firebombs beat all their AOEs and have more practical areas. By the time you hit lv17 getting that 4D8 blast isnt that big vs 6-7D6 Fire bombs
>>
guys, one of my players wants to do this.

http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/06/unspeakable-circle.html

I mean, holy shit, no, I can't support this, but I'm having trouble pinning down exactly how I'm going to explain to him why not, and no one articulates displeasure for homebrew as well as you autists

So please, do a brother a solid and help me out?
>>
Making a rogue who uses only 1 weapon, solely for the reason that i like how this(Pic related) character looks from the Shovel Knight DLC trailer.
Does "Defensive Duelist" become useless as a Rogue when you get Uncanny Dodge?
>>
>>51459706
>>51455109
One of my players wanted to use it to sense all ambushes and find out where the important NPCs had gone.

He got pretty salty when I told him the tree didn't give a fuck about him.
>>
Does anyone have like...a chart to roll on for things related to Oregon Trail such as rations going back or getting dysentery for when players are traveling for long periods of time?
>>
>>51464397
Seems fine to me. Whats the issue? Is it imbalanced? cause the game isn't exactly about balance.
>>
>>51464397
Honestly it feels too powerful in general, and a lot of it doesn't fit mechanically with the other Druid Circles. It doesn't follow the usual patterns.
>>
>>51464392
The gun does 1d6+DEXMOD more damage at any level and can crit or take advantage of things like 'you can crit within 5ft', has a longer range and may benefit from things like fighter's archery fighting style.

The piercing round deals 6d6 damage whereas alchemist's fire deals 7d6, and the explosive round does 4d8, but...

The explosive round has a massive AoE, 30ft radius. That's ridiculous. The piercing round is 30ft long, 5ft wide. The blast wave combines both damage and knockback, whereas you can only choose between knockback (And prone) or damage on the alchemist.

Now, by all means, the benefits gunsmith is getting nowhere near makes up for what they're missing out on unless you fight at long distances in tactical combat and you really need that extra single-target damage or have some strange synergy going on, but.. Yeah, no, gunsmith really could have been much better.
>>
>Abjuration Wizard
>Lore Bard
>Gunsmith Artificer
>Vengeance Paladin
>Arcane Trickster Rogue
>Totem Barbarian

As a DM, should a party of this makeup have any particular weaknesses and/or powerful combos I should keep an eye out for?
>>
>>51464648
>Abjuration Wizard
Unkillable God.
>Lore Bard
Also God.
>Gunsmith Artificer
AOE for days.
>Vengeance Paladin
Wrath of God
>Arcane Trickster Rogue
Never-Catch-Me-Dirty
>Totem Barbarian
If Bear, Unkillable Monster

I mean, it's pretty straightforward to me. You're fucked.
>>
>>51464421
Both require your reaction, which you only have one of.
>>
>>51464596

Yeah I know the numbers its just that with no utility whatsoever they really need a lot more damage and a D6+second stat isnt goid enough. The big AOE is why I mentioned before lv17 because a line and glorified burning hands dont compete with 5 ft radius anywhere within 30'

I think we are pretty much on the same page though bro so big deal
>>
>>51464709
Nah, he just needs to invoke the power of Tucker's Kobolds.
>>
>>51464715
Yes, i am aware. I thought it might be good to have options. Depending on the attack roll the DM makes I could negate all the damage or half of it.
>>
>>51464735

>>No big deal

I fucking hate posting on a phone
>>
>>51464421
One prevents attacks from hitting, the other reduces damage when you are hit. Depending on if you know how well the target rolled, both can be situationally useful.
i'd take mobile instead though
>>
>>51464709
So essentially throw one or two big beefy monsters with AoE passive and/or lair effects to health tax them for playing defensively.
>>
>>51464760
A feat is a pretty big investment, but if their attack roll is too high for defensive duelist to cut it then uncanny dodge is certainly better than nothing.
>>
>>51464505
There should be something like that in the DMG, no?
>>
>>51464776
Yea? Is mobile really that good? In my experience, i have almost never encountered difficult terrain. But i guess hit and run is really good.

>>51464808
I was thinking of taking Variant Human anyways, cause i like the traditional human thief prince of persia type character.
>>
>>51464505
Protip they will just abuse layonhands, lesser restoration etc to cure every conceivable disease you give them.

Outlanders will tell you they can forage endless amounts of food, and you have a druid prepare for goodberry.

It's very boring.
>>
>>51464648
What kind of totem barbarian?

Wolf is very powerful what with all the melee that may or may not be going on.
Bear is just 'annoying brick wall'.

Paladin is strong if they've got PAM. Otherwise, eh. Not bad.

Bard and Wizard are good if they know what they'redoing. Otherwise, eh.

Rogue can be powerful if they abuse advantage + booming blade or green flame blade. Otherwise, eh.

Artificer... gunsmith. The only concern is if their level 6 thing does a lot. The level 6 construct can completely make or break them, offering potentially crazy speed, extra damage and .. Stuff. But they're not an alchemist, so probably nothing to worry about.

Totem barbarian is, as said, just a brick wall. That's about it. A bit nastier if they've picked up some geats like GWM/PAM/Sentinel.
>>
>>51464974
>>51464974
>>51464974
New Thread
>>
When a wizard casts a spell like Magic Missile or something like that does the wizard roll to hit or does the spell just auto-hit?
>>
>>51465364
What does the spell description say?

Some spells require an attack roll made by the caster.

Some spells require a saving throw made by those targeted or within the area of effect.

Magic Missile specifically...Why let's take a quick gander at the SRD.

>You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.
>>
>>51457753

It's on the twitch channel.
Anyone know why Scott Kurtz left? Did he insult someone again?
Thread posts: 385
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.