[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 51

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, free RPGs, a vast Trove of treasure!
http://pastebin.com/0pQPRLfM

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
https://discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread:
>>51372372
>>
>>51444882
>new thread made before the old one was archived
Based OP
>>
>>51444882
>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
>http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

Mesmerized by Sirens is good if you're actually interested in things besides endless B/X homebrews.
>>
File: 1484671577368.png (120KB, 425x361px) Image search: [Google]
1484671577368.png
120KB, 425x361px
Eldritch Sorcery or Master Set for your wuxia fix?
>>
>>51445464
Why not Dragon Fist?
>>
What are the best resources in the Trove for Hex Crawling?

Has anybody here done one?

What are some things I should consider or pitfalls I should watch for if attempting to run one?
>>
>>51445635
Wilderness Survival Guide.
>>
>>51445635
What's hex crawlibg exactly? Like a dungeon crawl?
>>
>>51445934
I think he means something like The Isle of Dread
>>
/tg/, help me out. How should I handle my players always trying to lessen the costs of everything? They go to an inn, book a week for 5 silver, and they try to turn it into 3 silver and start rolling their dice.
>>
>>51446011
>and start rolling their dice.
Thats not how it works, you as DM decides what and how they roll
>>
>>51445934
Sort of? It's overland travel. The name comes from hex grids.
Which you use to better approximates outdoor terrain (better than square grids, at least).

You move some number of hexes/day (one, in most systems), roll for wandering monsters/encoubters, and can simple upon set-pieces.
Its got the same resource management as a dungeon crawl, but running out of food is slightly less dangerous (if you don't mind foraging/slower travel).

On a very related sidenote:
The 3rd LBB was Underworld & Wilderness Adventure.
>>
>>51446011
You tell them, in character as the innkeeper, to pay up of piss off? They don't get to roll for shit if you don't let them.
>>
>>51446071
>>51446178
Yeah, I didn't just let it slide. I said that unless they have proper leverage, that negotiations aren't really a thing.
But I'm currently wondering how others would have handled it.
>>
>>51446259
Raise the price to 6 silver and they get the inn's worst room, the innkeeper is offended.
>>
>>51446259
You could have done a reaction roll. If the innkeeper is friendly, he lowers the cost. If he's not friendly, he kicks them out.
>>
Anyone played in or DMed A Red and Pleasant Land? I'm running it right now and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's exactly the kind of setting I like, and the book makes it very easy to create fun and varied dungeons.
>>
>>51446644
Any player using the Alice class? How is it?
>>
>>51444882
What is the best OSR game (retroclone or otherwise) for a role-playing newbie?
>>
>>51447031
Lamentations of the Flame Princess for ease and simplicity. It's just D&D Basic with a simple skills system tacked on.
>>
>>51447113 Seems a bit too gonzo.
>>
What does having different XP track or race-as-class accomplish in these games, anyway?
>>
>>51447031
>>51447031
Most systems will play about the same as far as the players are concerned.

To make life easy for the new DM--
I'll second LotFP. The clarity of presentation is a big asset, as is ascending AC.

Ditto Basic Fantasy RPG.

Swords and Wizardry White Box is even simpler, and is a popular one. It has only one saving throw, which can simplify things if you haven't been eating and breathing TSR games since grade school.
>>
>>51447154
In what way?
>>
>>51447154
Gonzo comes from a setting, not a rulebook.
>>
>>51447195
Of those, is SWWB going to be the closest to actually playing an old-school DnD game?

I tried getting through the actual PDFs of 0e, but I just couldn't keep track. I am simply not who that game was written for.
>>
>>51447017
Yeah, one of them is. It works pretty well although they have to be careful and hide behind the stronger classes. They start becoming pretty useful around three or four levels in, but they're probably less so in places that don't have similar eccentricities as the Voivodja setting.
>>
>>51447171
>race-as-class
In a generic rule system that's meant to be used with multiple settings, nothing. In a system that's only meant to be used with its own setting, it lets you mechanically reinforce flavour.

>different XP tracks
It lets you balance classes by making the more powerful ones take longer to level up. The tracks are usually so close as to render the exercise mostly pointless, though.
>>
>>51447171
>different XP track
Characters get cool new shit at different rates. The thief is understood to be a rather weak class, mechanically, but he levels up faster than anyone.

The MU can get stupid powerful, but he levels slowly. It's a dubious way of balancing the game because not many characters make it to high level, but that's the rationale.

>race-as-class
Simplifies character creation, keeps clear archetypes, and makes non human player characters feel a bit more alien, rather than just a human with pointy ears and some bonuses suited for a particular class.

Whether these are virtues or not is a matter of opinion. I strongly prefer race-as-class because I hate it when new players spend twenty minutes flipping between options trying to figure out what they should take, or experienced players going "lol why would you play a half orc wizard".

>>51447239
0e is a pamphlet for wargaming hobbyists... it's rather poorly organized and lacks a lot of necessary context that would have been assumed by a 70's wargamer in that particular scene. Swords and Wizardry is an attempt to clarify that while keeping the spirit of the game intact.
>>
>>51447236
I'll be playing AD&D, thank you, not your Muppet "OSR" game or whatever.
>>
So, the OSR is just d20 fantasy heartbreakers for crusty neckbeards right?
>>
File: mfw.gif (5MB, 532x354px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
5MB, 532x354px
>>51447431
>>
>>51447431
Gr8 b8 m8.
>>
>>51447470
Kind of. It's people working out that they can monetise their houserules.
>>
>>51447239
>I am simply not who that game was written for.
It was originally a mod for a wargame, and was even used alongside it.
Within the war campaign, they'd go dungeon delving to help raise funds for their armies.

>I tried getting through the actual PDFs of 0e, but I just couldn't keep track.
Men & Magic -> Player's Handbook
Monsters & Treasure -> Monster Manual
Underworld & Wilderness Adventure -> Dungeon Master's Guide
That's not the most accurate of comparisons, but it's pretty close.

Here's a rundown on the rules: >>51444529
>>
>>51447470
Right now OSR is "not shit d20 system"
>>
File: gonzo.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gonzo.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>51447431
>>51447473
>>51447474
What setting does Gonzo come from then?
>>
>>51447523
Well, to be fair, Basic Fantasy is completely free at least. That and most OSR games I've seen charge a fairly reasonable price.
>>
>>51446259
>>51446011
If the PCs are consistently welching and being cheapskates then they should start to notice people refusing to do business with them.

>>51447470
Nah, it's "B/X clones with houserules" with a dash of "DUDE WHAT IF OD&D WAS ABOUT A DIFFERENT GENRE LMAO"
>>
>>51447031
I guess I'll go with S&W White Box. Sounds simple enough, with a little bit of reading.

I plan on getting a game going. Skype is kbalanera if anyone wants in.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-01-28-15-57-44.png (46KB, 695x614px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-01-28-15-57-44.png
46KB, 695x614px
>>51447735
>>
File: Allegory of the osrg cave.jpg (524KB, 1024x646px) Image search: [Google]
Allegory of the osrg cave.jpg
524KB, 1024x646px
A friendly reminder to not take bait.
>>
Is Adventurer Conqueror King a good OSR system to run for a newbie? I'm kind of miffed Druids and Paladins and the like aren't in it.
>>
>>51448076
I really like it, it's pretty simple and I ran it with 12 to 16-year-olds. So definitely good for newbs.
>>
>>51447154
What's wrong with gonzo?
>>
>>51448143
Gonzo too often veers into randumb.
>>
>>51448059
That totally isn't pretentious at all.
>>
Gonzo isn't taking something serious and making it silly.

It's taking something silly and making it serious.
>>
>>51448278
It's a joke
>>
>>51447924
Perhaps, eh? Perhaps you're retarded. Like Gonzo.
>>
>>51448359
With what I've seen of the Pundit, forgive me for thinking it was serious and reflective of the OSR.
>>
>>51448076
I'd say it works pretty well, especially for people who's main experience is with the WOTC editions, also Druids and Paladins are in the Player's Companion supplement
>>
>>51448413
I just made it because someone in the previous thread joked that "True AD&D" is a platonic form. I guess people are understandably pretty sick of those jokes though.
>>
>>51448469
Well I see so much posturing from (in)famous people associated with the OSR who like to proclaim that old school roleplaying is 'true' tabletop roleplaying unlike those awful 'storygames' who are 'ruining the hobby'.
>>
>>51448408
>Gonzo
>Retarded
>The original OD&D setting literally had Tharks from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars series.
>>
>>51448493
Generic Fantasy Roleplaying Games are ruining the industry by diluting the worship that True AD&D requires in order to grant spells to its followers.
>>
>>51448469
>Plato
>Chesterton's fence
>Gutei's finger
/osrg/ loves philosophy
>>
>>51448555
We like sounding old and pretentious.
>>
>>51448573
That explains the OD&D fanboyism :^)
>>
>>51448555
>Gutei's finger
What's this?
>>
>>51448670
Gutei raised his finger whenever he was asked a question about Zen. A boy attendant began to imitate him in this way. When anyone asked the boy what his master had preached about, the boy would raise his finger.

Gutei heard about the boy's mischief. He seized him and cut off his finger. The boy cried and ran away. Gutei called and stopped him. When the boy turned his head to Gutei, Gutei raised up his own finger. In that instant the boy was enlightened.

When Gutei was about to pass from this world he gathered his monks around him. `I attained my finger-Zen,' he said, `from my teacher Tenryu, and in my whole life I could not exhaust it.' Then he passed away.
>>
>>51448702
So enlightenment is Stockholm Syndrome?
>>
>>51448719

Read the earlier threads for discussion on what it means. Searching the archives for Gutei should do it.
>>
>>51448535
Yes, and? Gygax siad that gonzo, scifi, and psionics were all mistakes on the cusp of 2e and that pure medieval fantasy is the True AD&D setting.
>>
>>51448834
Gygax doesn't work for TSR, he was fired due to incompetence such as hating psionics. All that matters is that before he went, he published via TSR, as the author of the game, the assertion that only TSR has the ability to make rules for the game. After this his assertions are meaningless. Moreso after his firing.
>>
>>51448834
Gygax said a lot of things and
>pure medieval
D&D is only medieval in it's loose trapping. If it was actually, accurately medieval, much more emphasis would be placed on social class.
>>
>>51446644
I used it for a single session in my campaign, as a fun break.
It went well, but the players were glad that it was a brief interlude and not a whole campaign: nonsensical zanny sureslism gets annoying quickly.
>>
>>51447031
Whitebox
>>
File: Hex Crawl.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Hex Crawl.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Mind if I get some feedback advice or input on my post-apocalyptic hexcrawl I'm working on?
>>
>>51446644
How does ARPL compare to Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror?
>>
>>51448881
>incompetence
They got rid of him because he was in charge before a hostile takeover.
Then they drove TSR into the ground made questionable business choices.
>>51448834
>Gygax
>cusp of 2e
You know TSR only made 2e to screw Gygax out of royalties, right?
>>
>>51448834
If you meet Gygax on the road, tell him he's a wanker and not invited to your table.
>>
File: russian chicken.jpg (84KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
russian chicken.jpg
84KB, 400x300px
>>51449133
>You know TSR only made 2e to screw Gygax out of royalties, right?
>>
>>51449133
>he doesn't know that Gygax had been planning his own AD&D 2e
>he doesn't know that Jim Ward himself has confirmed that Gygax still got royalties from 2e
>>
>>51449254
>he doesn't know that the pyrologist is an OD&D class
>he doesn't know that hobbits can multiclass as thief/druids in OD&D
>he didn't get the Len Lakofka Diplomacy fan magazine containing these rules, writ by Gygax himself for the OD&D game
>>
>>51448702
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Buddhism often just feels like a "faith" for selfish sociopaths
>>
>>51448966
I like it. I'm currently running a Ruinations game. I'm sure I could squeeze this in.
>>
>>51449358
Hell yeah. Hows that going for you by the way? I always like getting feedback on playtesting.
>>
File: 1461382442921.jpg (799KB, 1120x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1461382442921.jpg
799KB, 1120x1352px
Is this thread really going to end up with every anon taking the bait again?
>>
>>51449357
Not really, but one can see where it overlap with nihilism and postmodernism for the western world assholes who claim it as their own as some sort of excuse to look deep while being uncaring or even malicious. Buddhism has much deeper, more complex root but the western buddhist are heavily tied to 'self help' books and hipsters.
>>
File: ld74.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ld74.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51449335
Let me unsee that shit.
>>
>>51449434
Buddhism is some really deep fucking lore and it's definitely more than just sitting cross-legged and saying pithy lines. In fact, there's lengthy Buddhist writing warning against that kind of do-nothing religion fascinated with the trappings of wisdom, and encouraging selflessness and helping others in this world- definitely not something for sociopath hipsters.
>>
Still working on this baby.
>>
>>51449357
Why?
>>
>>51448702
> Gutei raises finger while giving explanations
> attendant raises finger as if it needs no explanation
> Gutei cuts off attendant's finger
>"Aghh! Why did you cut off my finger!"
> Gutei raises finger as if it needs no explanation
Cheeky.
>>
>>51449533
>Gutei raises finger while giving explanations
It doesn't say that.
>>
>>51449512
Of course it is, I'm just pointing out that it's been used as some misguided shorthand for "I'm being a fucking asshole but I'm deep and shit, man" by jerks. That said, buddhism has a lot of wisdom to offer even to a non convert, which is why I like it...but I'm fully aware that buddhism 101 doesn't make me a buddhist and it would be foolish to claim to be one.

In many countries, buddhist monks are very implicated with their communities and helping them, which is very different from this image of uncaring hermits. There is a difference between detachment and tranquility and doing fucking nothing while feeling deep about it.

Also buddhism has a lot of rules and nuggets about the treatment of others and none involve acting like an asshole. Quite the opposite, really. It's a lot more complex than it look and certainly NOT nihilistic.
>>
>>51449583
>When anyone asked the boy what his master had preached about
>>
>>51449621
And the boy raises his finger. Since the story doesn't say that Gutei actually said anything when asked about things Zen, that may be a completely accurate depiction of what his master had preached about.
>>
>>51449462
>all that drama gossip on the first few pages

lol(?)
>>
>>51449587
>That said, buddhism has a lot of wisdom to offer even to a non convert, which is why I like it...but I'm fully aware that buddhism 101 doesn't make me a buddhist and it would be foolish to claim to be one.
That's how I feel about it too. I definitely couldn't say I'm a Buddhist but damn if I don't find Hakuin's life story inspiring.
>>
File: ClmrSzk.jpg.png (343KB, 650x360px) Image search: [Google]
ClmrSzk.jpg.png
343KB, 650x360px
>>51449666
You know that's bullshit.
>>
>>51449838
Not at all. It's a tale of one man's vigilant protection of his IP. Very predictive of the modern corporate landscape.
>>
>>51449838
The idea is that Gutei starts using the "finger-zen" after his (much more enlightened) master shows his finger. But Gutei has trouble reaching enlightenment because he is stuck with the finger-zen. He didn't want the same thing to happen to the kid so he cut his finger off.
>>
Where do I find cool Cleric rules? Like benefits and restriction to worshipping a specific deity? Supplement IV is just a fucking bestiary
>>
>>51450312
>benefits and restriction to worshipping a specific deity
Faiths and Avatars, though FR-specific, can give you some ideas.
>>
>>51450312
>>51450328
Monster Mythology is also nice.
>>
>>51449521
What qualifies as a "sneak attack" in your game?
>>
>>51433315
Free + pay what you want (with suggested donation) or fuck off. If it's any good, someone is just going to buy it and share it here anyway. Setting a price on a freely available digital good is just restricting possible donation to a specific price point. Though maybe you can get away selling it to cucks on reddit or something, nothing wrong with fleecing retards out of a buck.
>>
>>51451109
Piracy is predominantly a service issue.
Most pirates wouldn't buy the things if copyright infringement weren't an option.
Setting the price to $0+donations is going to most of the people who *would* buy it pay nothing.
>>
File: ase23.jpg (111KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
ase23.jpg
111KB, 386x500px
Oh good, my ban's over. Here's ASE 2-3 which I promised earlier for the trove:
https://0x0.st/VAD.pdf

>>51451227
Obviously not. The only thing for sale is a license to not get sued for copyright infringement. Beyond donation, there's only extortion money, which no one ever made by withholding threats.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (97KB, 1274x830px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
97KB, 1274x830px
>>51451417
>he never torrent a movie he owns, just to avoid walking upstairs
How industrious.
>>
>>51448966
This is dank. I like the mansquito a lot, horrific to think about. The weather is a good mix of radiation and the pacific northwest. The encounter with the guitar is fucked up but I kind of like it. The chainsaw is a neat puzzle/treasure. I'm excited stuff from the d8 things in the wastelands I made got in, that's cool to see developed.

An encounter with a semisentient redwood that has ptsd about the big bomb could be neat. It feels memory in its rings, the burnt and blackened years.
>>
>>51448966
What are you doing trying to post original content? Can't you see we're trying to shitpost and chow down on bait in here?

The trapped guitar is a great little piece. Really sets a tone.

There's enough small errors in grammar or spelling that you should get it proofread. Hate to be that guy, but the rest of the presentation is polished enough that I feel it's detracting from the work.

If you want to dress it up a bit more, you could add calendar events (such as a village that's raided every 2 months by the same war band, or a visitation by a spacecraft that zips over every settlement on the map 20 days after the campaign begins).

You could also add more organized factions to make the world feel more alive and dynamic, rather than just a patchwork of encounters. Warbands, religions hungry for converts, etc.

I'm a bit tired of the weird post apoc/gamma world/fallout thing, but you do good things with it (and It's not nearly as worn as "ye olde generic medieval" setting).
>>
I want to read some Jack Vance, need a physical copy for reasons.

What book should I get off amazon?
>>
>>51452055
A kindle
>>
>>51452055

If you're only getting one, get Complete Dying Earth. Failing that, Eyes of the Overworld.
>>
>>51447470
Eh, I like that a lot of them are easier to play than newer d20's. It's much easier to play a funnel written for DCC than anything I've run from 3.x or later. Simplicity makes them easier for me to pitch to people not already in the hobby too.
>>
>>51449335
>pyrologists have a list of available psionic powers
Gygax actually liked psionics? I thought the people attacking "some guy asked him to put in such-and-such" apologists were just memesters.
>>
>>51452047
Thanks for the feedback! Factions and grammatical fixing is to come. Right now it's a real rough draft.
>>
>>51449376
Pretty fun. Players have decided to run a trading caravan. Working on a franchise of sorts.
>>
>>51452722
Gygax statted Conan for OD&D in the Official Rules Books themselves using psionic powers.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (83KB, 902x276px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
83KB, 902x276px
>>51449462
Weird that thieves "disarm simple traps" ability doesn't work on magic traps.
Especially since their "open locks" explicitly worked on magic lock effects.
>>
>>51452722

>I thought the people attacking "some guy asked him to put in such-and-such" apologists were just memesters.

Yeah, they're just trolling. Like Gygax didn't just put a thief in because fans made him do it or something, he heard about the thief class in a phone call from a guy on the west coast who'd seen it in the Warlock game briefly, and Gygax was so enthused by the idea he went home and immediately built a whole new thief class himself.
>>
>>51447849
>I guess I'll go with S&W White Box.
If you ever start feeling confined by the class choices, you can selectively drop in additional classes from White Box Heroes.

http://swcompanion.wdfiles.com/local--files/odds-ends/wbh
>>
The new DCC books are sexy! I own the pdf but never played.

When my new hardcopy comes in I'm gonna have to try running it.

Alot of cool stuff like the Mighty Deeds of Arms, the ability to craft sentient swords.

Has anybody used the extra classes from the Crawl magazine? Are they balanced enough to actually use. I wanna pick up those issues just for those if they compliment the rest.
>>
File: otuswizardj.jpg (58KB, 1140x922px) Image search: [Google]
otuswizardj.jpg
58KB, 1140x922px
So let's say you're about to start a game of B/X with a new group of people. You get to make 3 changes to the rules, big or small, but otherwise must go by the book. What are these changes?
>>
Anyone got any good guides on dungeon building? Working on an OSR dungeon right now but the only concept so far is that it has to be a "justified dungeon"-one that makes sense and follows an internal logic.
>>
>>51453400
I know I'm going to get hung for mentioning it but a Dungeon World Supplement, Perilous Wilds has a fantastic Dungeon building system that can either randomly generate or be used as the basis for some cool ass dungeons. Even if you don't like DW you can use most of the material in any OSR game.
>>
>>51453399
• The CHAINMAIL AC/to-hit mechanic
• All hit-dice and damage-dice are d6
• No Thieves or Clerics

>You get to make 3 changes to the rules
YOUR SEMIOTICS HAVE NO POWER OVER ME!!
I can and I will change as many things as I want.
• Prime Requisites have no bonuses/penalties beyond xp
• No Wisdom attribute

>>51453400
>justified dungeon
Fool's errand.
>>
>>51453400
If you don't want to buy it without knowing if you'll use it here is a copy

https://mega.nz/#!wscREDRS!u-xp2hcR99vw6iRdMV6F3plEdTnbMmhNLnnm-Is1dVw
>>
>>51453499
>>51453436
Thanks anons!
>>
>>51453520
No problem, happy to help.

The main focus of the book is world building and it has a pretty cool little thing for designing open world Hex Crawl like stuff but as I said the Dungeon stuff is pretty good.
>>
>>51453230
Sanctum Secorum has free episode companions with good material on rpgnow.
>>
>>51451417
You are a godsend.
>>
>>51453497
>All hit-dice and damage-dice are d6
Do you need to adjust anything else if you do this? monster damage is also d6?
>>
>>51453738
>monster damage is also d6?
Yup.
>Do you need to adjust anything else if you do this?
Zweihänders (etc.) get weird, but we're fixing that with CHAINMAIL to-hit.
>>
>>51453568
Never heard of these folks before. Thanks!
>>
>>51453754
I've been thinking about doing it just because I like d6. Why do you do it?
>>
>>51453842
CHAINMAIL had good combat. THAC0 was originally intended as a kludge for people who (somehow) hadn't bought CHAINMAIL (yet).
Weapon damage going down to 1d6 is to brings things in line with CHAINMAIL (which already weights the quality of weapons).
HD to d6s is an aesthetic choice. Since CHAINMAIL does 2d6 for to-hit rolls, you aren't really using the other dice for anything but HD.
>>
>>51449521
I didn't really "get" the fighting styles when you first discussed them in the thread, but they actually seem super nice.
But why's it +2/even-level instead of the more organic +1/level? Stop them from getting one at level 1?
I'd say, do +1/level. Is that was the concern, give them 0 at level 1, 2 at level 2, then +1/level then on out.
Or maybe even just +1/level, except level 1. And they just... always have 1 less than they do now.
But it'd feel "cleaner" at +1/level, you know?
>>
>>51453893

I actually agree with you, I prefer to make as much of my level ups gradient and every-level as with my other classes.

However; I also thought a lot about how to actually introduce mechanics. I gave it every other level so too much power wasn't front loaded on the characters at early levels; getting both a single +1 to any combat stat (especially damage) and a move on first level is a bit much, so I split them up.

Giving them +2 every other evens out to being the same as once per level but obviously it leaves odd numbered levels open for feats.
>>
>>51454333
What about +1/level including level 1, and move feats to the even levels?
>>
People who stand by "always roll in the open": do you roll monsters hit die in the open? What about checking for random encounters, or checking to see what is encountered? Seems like there are still a few things you shouldn't roll in the open, and I find it super hard to believe that the people who say you should roll everything in the open are actually rolling EVERYTHING in the open.
>>
>>51454367
I *don't* roll everything in the open, but
Monster HD are usually fine to roll in the open, just like how it's usually fine to state monster AC.
Wandering Monster rolls are always fine to roll in the open, since they're meaningless without your notes.
>Seems like there are still a few things you shouldn't roll in the open
Detect trap rolls, reaction rolls, etc.
>>
>>51448901
>>pure medieval
>D&D is only medieval in it's loose trapping. If it was actually, accurately medieval, much more emphasis would be placed on social class.
D&D is basically medieval WILD WEST renaissance fantasy, and the americanisms get extremely hard not to notice once you realise they're there.
>>
>>51452055
>>51452101
This, but really, you should read some non-Dying Earth stuff too. One of his short story collections with The Moon Moth in, some of his other SF stuff, The Miracle Workers and The Dragon Masters are excellent.
>>
Hey, /osrg/. I have three questions for you:

1. What's the closest I can get to BECMI in one big book with a retroclone that's currently being printed?

2. If I want to run a campaign set in Mystara, would it be worthwhile to print all the gazetteers and put them in a big binder?

3. Do you do hireling ascention if a PC dies once all the characters have leveled a few times, or have some other procedure?
>>
>>51455733
1. Dark Dungeons does BECM well.
2. No
3. If they want.
>>
>>51452886
>Gygax statted Conan for OD&D in the Official Rules Books themselves using psionic powers.
When did Conan ever have psychic powers?
>>
File: fantasydragon.jpg (763KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fantasydragon.jpg
763KB, 1920x1200px
Posted this in GameFinder, but maybe I'll have more luck here.

>GM/Player
GM
>System
S&W White Box
>Times Available (with timezone!)
CST afternoons, we'll figure something out. I'm free every day after 5.
>Method of Play (Skype, IRC, roll20, etc)
We'll discuss this when we get a group together. I don't have a cam, though so it'll be either voice only, text only, or a combo of both.
>Contact Info
kbalanera on Skype
>Additional Notes
First time DM
>>
>>51453400
This has a lot of useful ideas and tables in it to help out. Google the Five Room Dungeon, its a pretty good concept. I tend to actually use the procedural generation in the hardcover DMG, mix in more random tables that are thematic, and piece together enough of a storyline that makes it coherent enough. Internal consistency is probably a more workable goal than internal logic, which could be 'all red objects in dungeon are chairs, therefore all red goblins are chairs' or some shit.

If you want to get your players hype, ask them before gameday what are some rumours they've heard about the dungeon, take their ideas and do something odd with them.
>>
>>51455733
>2. If I want to run a campaign set in Mystara, would it be worthwhile to print all the gazetteers and put them in a big binder?

It's better to pick one Gazetteer, and just run that.
>>
>>51456253
he did a magic talk to animals thing once iirc but mostly it was a hack because d&d couldn't handle someone so hardcore
>>
>>51457512
Strength: 18
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 13
Constitution: 15
Dexterity: 12
Charisma: 17
10th Level Thief
>>
>>51458246
a) fuck you remove thief it is the worst class conan is a fighting man who also steals stuff
b) yeah, it was really gygax being groggy and trying to make conan capable of doing every little thing he'd done in every story, in a game that doesn't let fighters or thieves do half the shit the protagonist of an adventure story pulls off. stupidly high levels and stats were just the start.
>>
>>51458301
>remove thief it is the worst class
>not the bard
>not the druid
>not the cleric

>conan is a fighting man who also steals stuff

Lemme just pour some gasoline on this fire: http://bxblackrazor.blogspot.co.nz/2009/09/conan-barbarian-bx-thief.html
>>
>>51458350
>dude Conan is a B/X thief lmao
>dude Gandalf is a 5th-level magic-user lmao
>dude Dredd is lawful neutral lmao

No, retard, they aren't D&D characters so they don't belong to any race/class/alignment in the games. Fuck off with your pointless nerdwank.
>>
>>51458350
bards are fighting men who sing, or clerics who sing, or magic-users who haha no sorry magic-users are not hardcore enough to be bards

druids are also probably clerics or fighting men

clerics specialise in fucking up undead, and there are a lot of undead in d&d if you use older editions and don't deliberately tone them down

yes, if you have thief as a class then conan should probably be one, but do not have thief as a class. it is a mistake. it is one of the worst additions to early D&D, and it came early enough that it became embedded as a core part of the game. this was a mistake.

I can think of a dozen classes I'd add to the core three before thief, and one of them is literally "acrobat."
>>
File: No Fun Allowed.png (208KB, 336x355px) Image search: [Google]
No Fun Allowed.png
208KB, 336x355px
>>51458460

>Nooo how dare you stat things!

Conan works beautifully as a B/X Thief, though.
>>
>>51458491
Statting non-D&D characters for D&D is like converting TSR modules for use with 3.PF; a terrible waste by those with shit taste.
>>
>>51458490
fighting man
cleric
magic-user

bard
panzerbjorn
illusionist (who is not a magic-user specialist, that was also a mistake when they changed it from a significant alt-class with unique options to one of many specialists)

druid
robot
psychic

ghostbinder
apothecary/alchemist
genius locus who has lost their locus, also dryads and shit would be covered here I guess

dog
blue mage
warlord

ninja
warlock
just some person but they can go all intangible

bee

look some of these are not the best thought out

but fuck thief
>>
>>51458491
Um, no? Because B/X thieves have shitty hit points and can't wear heavy armour, and Conan is super tough and wears heavy armour.
>>
Writing a homebrew game with AD&D being the main inspiration but hopefully with some more interesting combat. I'm toying with an attack/defense dice pool mechanic rather than the standard THAC0 vs AC.

Has anybody played OSR games that use dice pool mechanics? Thoughts?
>>
>>51458684
>heavy armor
>>
>>51458719
Any Conan novel or story that takes place when he is King of Aquilonia has him in heavy armour. Read a book, nerd!
>>
>>51458619
>genius locus who has lost their locus, also dryads and shit would be covered here I guess
Redundant with druid.
>warlord
Redundant with Fighting-Man.
>apothecary/alchemist
>warlock
Redundant with Magic-User, if you've good taste.

>blue mage
Good taste, but it doesn't mesh with the mechanics.

>dog
>bee
You hot robot, but no Ayy Lmao?
(Or would Ayys. be redundant with psychic?)

>ninja
Redundant with Fighting-Man.
>>
>>51458711
Just use the CHAINMAIL man-to-man table.

Cross reference armor and weapon types for a target number.
2d6 roll under.
>>
>>51458801
The way I have it right now, level and class determines attack dice (d6s). All classes start with just 1 attack dice per turn with the fighter-type gaining more quicker than other classes (I think fighter gets their second at level 3 or 4). Attack dice can be split to make multiple attacks or combined to make one attack with a higher chance to hit.

Defense dice come from armor, cover (ranged combat is a focus), or some protective spells. Like attack dice, defense dice can also be split between multiple attacks.

Basically on your turn you use your pool of attack dice to try and hit people, and when your turn is over you use your pool of defense dice until it's your turn again. If you run out you're just hit automatically.
>>
>>51458684
>>51458752

Conan never wears heavy armor while doing anything remotely thiefy. As the link says, if you negate all thief abilities while in heavy armor (a common houserule) then there's no problem at all.
>>
>>51451417
Godspeed, generous anon.
>>
>>51458246
Str: 18, Int: 12, Wis: 9
Con: 18, Dex: 16, Cha: 14
>>
>>51455733
>2. If I want to run a campaign set in Mystara, would it be worthwhile to print all the gazetteers and put them in a big binder?
only if you include the Creature Crucible, and Hollow World books(as well as the Dawn of The Emperors box set and all the BECMI Dragon Magazine articles)
>>
>>51458490
>>51458619
honestly I'm the sort who actually really likes their games to have a ton of different classes(and races), it's often way more interesting than just the standard 3/4/7 classes that most OSR games have
>>
>>51453399
For my part, I think I'd...

1) Retool the hit dice / hit points. Hit Dice would all be d6s (gained at different rates, like in OD&D) that are rolled from scratch (taking the higher score) when you level. You would get the better of two hit dice rolls at 1st level, and would die when your negative hit points surpassed your level.

2) Rejigger the demihuman XP progressions (particularly elves) so that they're more balanced with the human classes, and remove the level caps.

3) I would give magic-users cantrips that work like any other level of spells, requiring you to memorize and expend them. They'd start with 4 or 5 of them, and would never gain any more.
>>
>>51456568
If you can do Saturdays after 6 CST I'm SO in. I need to get my OSR on so bad. At work, will Skype you when I'm home.
>>
How much does a lvl0 henchman need to reach 0 level?
>>
>>51461797
How much experience, that is.
>>
>>51461797
In what system? Do you have negative levels?
>>
>>51461797
gp:xp is a gameist abstraction.
NPCs advance by fiat, not xp.
>>
>>51461797
Depends on the system.
>>
>>51461797
When their boss decides to promote them to having a class. In game terms that means you don't start having to split xp/loot with them until you feel that doing so is worth it.
>>
>>51461797
Correction. How much experience is required to reach level 1?
Any system's approach would help, really.
>>
>>51462200
If you have level 0 PCs, then 1-3 adventures/delves should be good.
For level 0 NPCs, see >>51461833
>>
I'm working on a goblin castle dungeon that's full of gimmicky and funny encounters. I have an idea for one that's in the castle's old library where the goblins there have gotten a modicum of power, being able to cast 1 kind of random 1st level spell. Should I just have a bunch of them or should there also be a "boss" goblin mage that's a more formidable magic-user?
>>
File: LLE9KTj.jpg (746KB, 1399x2501px) Image search: [Google]
LLE9KTj.jpg
746KB, 1399x2501px
Ukraine: The RPG
>>
>>51462200
>>51461797
Some ideas...

--NPCs need 10x as many XP to gain levels as PCs do (with fighters serving as the default XP template). This will put them about 3 1/2 levels behind the PCs. If you do this, you could require half of what they need to reach 2nd level (which is to say, 5x what a PC needs to reach second level) to reach 1st level.

--NPCs require XP for twice the level they're gaining. So in order to reach 2nd level, they need the XP a PC would need to reach 4th. And to reach 3rd, they'd need the XP for 6th. If you do this, then it's logical to use XP requirements for 2nd level in order to reach 1st, though I'd actually lean towards requiring the XP for 3rd level, to keep NPCs at 0 level for a bit longer.

Needless to say, the 2nd method has NPCs advancing levels considerably sooner (though they'll actually fall behind at higher levels--once the PCs are reaching 8th).
>>
>>51462459
Just have a bunch if them.
Each immediately retreats if they take a hit (and survive).
For X escaping goblins, then next X encounters each have one Magic-Using goblin.
>>
>>51462765
Players advance by gaining treasure, because gaining treasure is the goal of the game.
Non-player characters often have different goals, why tack that system on to them?
Save yourself some awkward bookkeeping and advance NPCs when it "feels right."
>>
>>51453656
>>51459485
Yeah no worries. Please report back any good bits or especially if you run a session, I won't get around to going through it for awhile
>>
>>51462459
1 boss goblin who can cast three random level 1 spells who lords over the others in the room like a tyrant. Other than that, lots of other who can also cast random level 1s are hilarious!
>>
This reminds me: Did anyone ever convert the DCC Funner mechanic to normal treasure-based progression?
How much XP would you need to become a classed character? I know Treasure Hunt invented the funnel concept, but I'm unsure how it works there
>>
>>51463699

Treasure Hunt's in the Trove. There's also this PDF.
>>
>>51461797
I'd leave it to GM fiat myself.

If the 0 level linkboy ends up fighting alongside the PCs, or is ordered to do something dangerous (like scout ahead and report back) a few times, he's become a character in his own right.

If the henchman are left behind to watch the baggage, they remain 0 level weenies.
>>
>>51463790
I'd love to check it out, but I'm unable to access the trove due to only having access to my phone for a while. And this old piece of garbage can't even connect to it properly.
>>
>>51463971
Those are hirelings you talk of. He asked about henchmen. They sounds similar, but do function differently.
>>
>>51464035
The distinction between hirelings, henchmen, and followers is murky and largely unnecessary.
So do ADVANCED PLAYERS get to bring as many hirelings as they'd like Into The Dungeon?
>>
File: ConanStats.gif (20KB, 862x366px) Image search: [Google]
ConanStats.gif
20KB, 862x366px
>>51458246
>>51457512
>>51458301
>>51458719
>>51458752
>>51459645
>>
>>51464242
PSIONICS

Animal telepathy, detection of magic, precognition, mind bar

REEEEE Gygax they told me you hated psionics and never used them
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (194KB, 1098x707px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
194KB, 1098x707px
>>51464242
>>51464301
Don't forget the two page write-up of special abilities!
>>
Are there any OSR retroclones that have multiclassing? If so, which ones have the best multiclassing systems?
>>
>>51464301
>>51464422
His group forced him to use them. Gygax did nothing wrong.
>>
>>51464496
>best multiclassing system
Archetype: subhuman (Elf)
>>
>>51464508
Yes he did! He bowed to peer pressure!
>>
>>51454814
>>51448901
What would a european medieval fantasy setting look like then?
>>
>>51464730
Lots of Welsh and Slavic shit, no open frontiers, etc.
>>
>>51448493
It's perfectly fair for anyone who's watched their hobby stolen from their hands and turned into something diluted, commercial & hollow at best, a grotesque abomination at worst, by a horde of obnoxious misunderstanding newfaggots and even more obnoxious politicized entryists to act just a little begrudged. too bad you had to come and shit up 4chan too.
>>
So, I'm told there is compatibility between some retroclones, is this true?
>>
File: ac-conversion-table-osr.png (681KB, 1400x977px) Image search: [Google]
ac-conversion-table-osr.png
681KB, 1400x977px
>>51464945
Between most, one of the most consistent marks defining something as "OSR" is cross-compatibility.
>>
>>51464945
Rather than compatibility, it's "ease of adaptability."
OSR systems (retroclone or vintage) are all extremely rules-lite.
So even if you need to tweak EVERYTHING (and you usually don't) there's not much to change.
Beyond that, most stemmed off from each-other as heavily houseruled variants.
So they all tend to resemble each-other, both in mechanics and scaling.

The cherry on top is OSR's central resolution mechanics (for non-combat, etc.):
>Describe your intended actions in as much detail as relevant, the referee makes a judgement call.
>>
>>51464921
So basically nobody born after 1980 or something should be playing RPG, then, old man? So we're all faggoty hipsters who want to smash the patriarchy and in no way we're ever allowed to genuinely want to look back at our forefathers and judge this old way by ourselves after being told for years that it was bad and we should all 'buy the new edition it's better'.

Some of us who have grown up in the 3e D&D era have become burned out just as you as to what's ha penning to RPG, even if our generation is mildly to blame. But you can't throw all of us in the same bucket as the genderqueer attack helicopters who learned about D&D from the Big Bang Theory. I mean, fuck, I grew up reading those old-ass D&D novels while the cool kids were playing Halo.
>>
>>51464730
The Lands of Legend from Dragon Warriors. Agrarian societies, feudalism and a social order that isn't too welcoming of freewheeling adventurers.
>>
>>51464155
It's not murky at all though. They're clearly differentiated. Granted, the terminology is a bit murky, but there is some merit in distinguishing them
>>
>>51465212
Do you think SAO was a good anime?
>>
>>51465262
Jesus fuck no it's terrible. I can see why newbies might like it, but just because it has mass appeal doesn't make it good. I mean, fuck, there's a market for Call of Duty but that doesn't make them good videogames.
>>
>>51465258
But why does the distinction need to be made?
They only added Henchmen because someone said "it's unrealistic that I can't pay 200 sods to dungeon delve with me!" Chesterton's fence Chesterton's fence Chesterton's fence and someone else insisted on keeping the hirelings-per-charisma table.
>>
>>51465212
>So basically nobody born after 1980 or something should be playing RPG, then, old man?
The issue isn't gamers made after the 80's, its games made after the 80's. As for why:
>Jesus fuck no it's terrible. I can see why newbies might like it, but just because it has mass appeal doesn't make it good. I mean, fuck, there's a market for Call of Duty but that doesn't make them good videogames.
>>
>>51465277
They are good games though, just doesn't evolve much
>>
File: elf, white box.jpg (97KB, 691x572px) Image search: [Google]
elf, white box.jpg
97KB, 691x572px
>>51464539
Elves are usually significantly overpowered. Here's the elf from Swords & Wizardry White Box, which uncharacteristically errs in the other direction. It has a slowed spell progression. reduced hit points (identical to a magic-user once you take into account its slower level gain), increased XP costs, and possible restrictions on weapons and armor. I like the weapons and armor restrictions, and the slowed spell progression, but I would give them hit dice equal to a fighter (which they gain more slowly due to their higher XP requirements), rather than a magic-user of 1 level higher. Either that, or leave everything the same except reduce their XP requirements to equal those of magic-users.
>>
>>51465310
Alright, whatever fits you
>>
>>51465358
The thing is, this is all we've known and even if those games were fucking terrible (and we sometimes were aware of it) it was all we had. I was fortunate enough to have somehow torrent Shadowrun 3rd Edition and play a bit of it but for most of my highschool years all I had was D&D 3e. Sure I know other games existed but it's not like I had any hobby store around where I lived and even if I was to get those scan (not even real PDF back then, just poor resolution scans) good fucking luck trying to get people to play those.

AD&D was, to us, this near-mythical thing which we knew existed and we knew older people who had played it but for us it was like some distant past we'd never experience so we settled on our 3rd edition because, again, it was all we had. Sure there was the big d20 boom but that was, on many levels, even bigger crap.
>>
>>51465443
You check the library?
>>
>>51465474
Where I lived, finding those AD&D books were pretty much impossible and I kinda lived in the middle of fucknowhere, really. D&D 3e was just more accessible which is why I'm "defending" it on the basis that now I can be the grumpy old man who shake his stick and say 'it was all we had and damn it we liked it'.

Well, that and trying to find download for this stuff in the early 2000 wasn't as easy as it is today.
>>
I actually like 3.X's Cohort/Follower/Hireling pyramid.
>Cohorts are loyal sidekicks who like you
>Followers are mooks who like you but might run if the going gets rough
>Hirelings are only in it for the loot
>>
>>51465530
You check the intra-library loan system?
>>
>>51465559
Yes but like I said, we didn't have AD&D books in libraries where I lived.
>>
>>51465591
Which is why you tell the library to fetch it from libraries that aren't where you live.
>>
Who has actually played a Tekumel game here? How did it go?
>>
>>51465618
I don't really think you can run an extended campaign with library books you only have for a limited time. But even if could, your advice would be coming 15 years to late to be useful to him.
>>
>>51465741
Exactly, by this point I can get PDF of AD&D if I wanted to. That situation was in the early 2000, man, things have changed a ton since. I could basically print myself a whole AD&D or OD&D or even a retroclone PDF of my choice, put it in a binder and play off it. Something which was much, much harder back in the days due to shitty scan quality. Granted, photocopy of books I borrowed were nice and I still got the binder along with, presumably, campaign notes for shit I haven't touched since I was 15 years old.
>>
File: GirlsLaughing.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
GirlsLaughing.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>51465741
There is a photocopier in most libraries.
>>
>>51465815
Yeah it's what I used back in the day to copy shit off the book of other people. I miss those days, it was fun.
>>
File: turtle of displeasure.jpg (143KB, 908x756px) Image search: [Google]
turtle of displeasure.jpg
143KB, 908x756px
>>51465815
You'd have to be really fucking dedicated to photocopy hundreds of pages of shit and then contend with having shitty photocopied books.
>>
>>51465972
Well, I did it back in the day.Maybe not a full book, but whole chapters. Especially monsters.
>>
I used my school's computer room to print out a couple of manuals.
>>
So what is the 'best' retroclone, then to start with? Basic Fantasy? Labyrinth Lord? LotfP?
>>
>>51466345
LL or BFRPG

LOFTP is just a bad meme pushed by hipsters.
>>
>>51466345
I'd say Basic Fantasy if you come from a heavy d20 background. Labyrinth Lord and Swords and Wizardry are good too.
>>
>>51466345
It's 100% a matter of taste. I wouldn't recommend AD&D for one's very first OSR experience (unless it's as a player with an experienced DM) but otherwise go nuts.
>>51466369
LOTFP has good encumbrance rules.
>>
>>51466081
I used my work printers to get 6 classic modules (B2, X1, B3, B4, X9 and I6) before they noted we were running low on toner and paper. Never got caught but from then on you needed a manager's permission to use the printer.
>>
>>51466395
Okay so how do I 'sell' people on OSR games because going 'hey let's play shit inspired by games which are older than you' seems a bit difficult in an era of obsession with novelty. I could have sold my high school group on it but we have since all gone our separate way.
>>
>>51466498
"New to you" is still new.
>>
>>51465538
Basically the same as AD&D henchmen/followers/hirelings.

The distinction is:

>in AD&D, you are limited to "more henchmen than you could possibly need," in 3e, you may have unlimited cohorts
>in AD&D, there are some vague rules for getting henchmen, in 3e its the DM's discretion
>in AD&D, they seem to get a share of XP, probably half, in 3e, they get less XP (iirc) but they don't reduce the amount of XP they get
>most AD&D players know about henchmen, few 3e players understand the rules for cohorts
>>
>>51466498
Make a mid 70s playlist. Make the novelty be the 'older than you' bit.
>>
>>51465972
You don't need the full book. You need the core rules with some notes in the margins. Plus however many tables you can get, I guess.
>>
>>51464422
>>51464242
This has a lot of fascinating things about it, including the idea of a character who waxes and wanes in power, and all the special abilities. I'd love to see this sort of thing done as a class.
>>
So I've seen color coded analysisesseses of KotB and CoC, has anyone done them for Temple of Elemental Evil?
>>
>>51466498
Insist on doing a oneshot.
If they like it, do short campaigns now and then.
At some point, you just... transition over.
>>
>>51466498
"Hey guys let's play [insert TSR module] I've heard it's pretty good. We'll use rules close to the originals too for the full experience."
>>
>>51466647
Well honestly I don't think I'll end up only playing OSR stuff I'm just willing to give it a shot, to see how things were back in the day which is why I've read those pdf about the oldschool mentality, such as player skill as opposed to character skill. Or the 'zen moments' of oldschool DMing.
>>
>>51466618
>and all the special abilities
>I'd love to see this sort of thing done as a class
Literally the barbarian class.
Gygax made it shortly after that article.
It reuses like half the abilities.
>>
>>51466732
>Literally the barbarian class.

You mean figuratively the barbarian class.

In general, although its not pertinent to D&D, not all archetypes fit as following the same power curve.
>>
>>51466613
You're also advising this for somebody who was unfamiliar with game, having never even had the option to crack open the book, from what I can tell. Saying you shouldn't have played 3e, but instead gone to extraordinary lengths to play a game you really know nothing about and don't even know if you'd like doesn't seem reasonable to me.
>>
>>51465591
Then use the inter-library loan system instead (why would a library loan things to itself?)

>>51465618
How could a library fetch something from another library under an INTRAlibrary loan system?
>>
>>51466799
>Then use the inter-library loan system instead (why would a library loan things to itself?)
This isn't fucking relevant in 2017, dude. We got the internet, PDF and home printers aplenty why are you so adamant on trying to get my 15 years old self to get AD&D books to print them and HOW? Unless you have a time machine, which I'd like to loan to fix a few things.
>>
>>51466369

LotFP is excellent, you're full of it.
>>
>>51466852
Since we have those resources, perhaps you could look up the meaning of the prefix "intra" and compare it to "inter". You drooling retard.
>>
>>51466976
I'm not the guy who posted >>51466799, you know.
>>
>>51466863

Other than the summon spell, which I'm convinced was a practical joke by the creator, I would have to agree. Easy to learn, everyone has their place, and there is a lot of emphasis on smart play because of how deadly the game is/ how long it takes to heal up your mistakes.
>>
>>51466345
Your own
>>
>>51467126
>Other than the summon spell

It's not meant to be used often, much less regularly. You're not supposed to cast that one unless you're all about to die. (There's a higher level one that's safer to use.)
That summon spell is there to tempty you right from first level, but if you ever use it, there's a solid chance it'll turn into pic related. Personally, I think that's awesome, and it beats just sitting back and eating a TPK.
>>
>>51466345
Beyond the Wall forever, baby!
>>
>>51467304
At high levels, you can spam that shit for permanent 1-2 HD servants.
At low levels, dropping a 10-HD-whatever is a great way to cover your retreat in an otherwise sure-kill situation.
>>
File: corkie.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
corkie.pdf
1B, 486x500px
True AD&D™
>>
File: corkie.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
corkie.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51467463
Fixed
>>
>>51466369
All are good. I run LotFP now for tabletop newbies and its a blast. BFRPG, however, has a lot of thing I enjoy more. Race/Class deviation. AAC. Tons of supplements.
>>
New post. 1d100 Cults - 50 weird, 50 sinister. I'll post a jpg of the chart here in a few minutes for those who don't want to click.

http://www.occultesque.com/2017/01/1d100-cults-50-weird-and-50-sinister.html
>>
File: tumblr_nuqincu6ku1rsxqqio1_500.jpg (73KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuqincu6ku1rsxqqio1_500.jpg
73KB, 480x720px
Why was Gamma World so...unappreciated?
>>
File: 1d100 cults.png (406KB, 1848x1330px) Image search: [Google]
1d100 cults.png
406KB, 1848x1330px
>>51468192
>>
>>51468192
Danke.
>>
Rolled 76 (1d100)

>>51468241
>>
File: linkola.jpg (178KB, 1140x1119px) Image search: [Google]
linkola.jpg
178KB, 1140x1119px
>>51465212
The reason OSR is a thing today is the internet made the old RPGs widely accessible. There's not really an excuse for being a tasteless casual faggot today in much anything besides lack of interest, motivation or plain old low IQ. And to assume the appreciation for something is due only to its appraisers psychological and intellectual faults (and not, perhaps, your own) is such ignorant, normalfag pridefulness, it's telling of how far the hobby has fallen that it's perpetuated as dogma both on /tg/, of all places, and in the "core" TTRPG community. It's the same cancerous attitude that has plebs saying they refuse to watch B&W movies, or movies with subs, or read books older than the last decade, or play games that aren't on whatever new console - and assume anyone who does is a pseudointellectual or hipster doing it purely for its social image. Why are you even on this site?

>faggoty hipsters who want to smash the patriarchy
Well, the attitude that taste is purely subjective & all art is relative, meaning that stating any work or style is genuinely better than another in any way without prefacing it all with In My Opinion makes you a pretentious asshole - or nostalgic, misguided grognard - is certainly marxist in origin.
>>
>>51468270
For a guy making a case against narrow-mindedness, you sure do like to strawman.
>>
Wait, why did politics suddenly come up with OSR being some /pol/ thing or something? I love OSR and I'm left-wing as hell.
>>
>>51464921

You're a gay.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play OSR because of its ease of fluff, moddability and simple ruleset.
>>
>>51468270
Look I know that /osrg/ likes philosophy but when you start channeling Zizek you gotta stop and go outside.
>>
>>51468334
its just people saying that other people should stop having fun in ways that they don't agree with
>>
>>51468380
Ah. THE most traditional game.
>>
>>51468226
A better question would be why was Boot Hill so unappreciated.

A still better question would be why the fuck did Gygax mention Tractics, a tank-focused miniatures wargame, as a great potential crossover for AD&D.
>>
>>51468494
Because back then wasn't he in Hollywood trying to get a script for a D&D movie done? Probably was high on cocaine when he wrote that.
>>
>>51468378
>wtf are you a marxist critical theorist?
>>51468334
>wtf are you a neo-nazi nationalist?
lel. it's just rhetorics tailored to basic bitches

>>51468316
It will be adjusted into copypasta. I don't intend to (or expect to) bait any of the good folks in this thread. I've a project to defang the nostalgia-grognard meme on /tg/ and convert new anons to the cause. It's for their own good. I see these lost souls, frustrated and hurt by an industry that's forsaken them and the holy word of Gary
>>
>>51468571
Like when he told Gentle Readers of Dragon Magazine to physically assault and threaten local booksellers for enacting a far-reaching conspiracy to keep TSR materials off the shelves? To grab them and demand they knock it off and stock the products once more?
>>
File: Dark is the Sun.jpg (56KB, 311x513px) Image search: [Google]
Dark is the Sun.jpg
56KB, 311x513px
>>51468494
>A better question would be why was Boot Hill so unappreciated.
It's a very limited setting. You don't have dragons and magic, or lasers and mutants.

>>51468226
>Why was Gamma World so...unappreciated?
My guess is that it's because it doesn't tap into a big trend. People into Tolkien and Howard and so forth are already enthusiastic about something that has enough commonalities to D&D that it's familiar terrain for them. There's not much of a movement for Gamma World to pull from. There are far fewer stories that really relate (though there are some that are pretty fucking cool, pic related).
>>
>>51468572
Please don't do this. Just earnestly engage with people who want to learn, ignore the trolls, and don't contrive ploys to defend the homeland or proselytize or change /tg/s mind as if it were some collective meme factory.

If you really have to make osr great again, do it by making content and having engaging discussion.
>>
Have you ever seen a gang of oldschool murderhobos turn heroic?
>>
>>51468380
>its just people saying that other people should stop having fun in ways that they don't agree with
That's stupid. People should stop having fun in ways *I* don't agree with.
>>
>>51468670
>It's a very limited setting. You don't have dragons and magic, or lasers and mutants.

That's all window dressing, though. The best stories are about people, and you can have them without any of that stuff.
>>
>>51454367
>>51454367
>>51454367
I roll saves, damage, and attacks in the open. I don't roll wandering monster tables in the open, so the players don't know if I rolled monster, treasure, trap, or some combination
>>
>>51458246
Str 18
iq 18
wis 18
con 18
dex 18
cha 18
hp 18
ac 18
thac0 18
damage 18
attacks per round 18
>>
>>51468750
Plenty of people look into windows for the dressing. Especially people who didn't arrive interested.
>>
>>51461902
That boss better pay them something out of the loot, or they'll desert
>>
>>51466618
I use the lloss of levels with age as my aging mechanic, instead of 3.5's method.
>>
>>51469124
If they have class levels sure, otherwise their gold piece a day, with the possibility of a bonus, should suffice.
>>
File: my0arm4wwl1sfhzhso1_500-1.jpg (99KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
my0arm4wwl1sfhzhso1_500-1.jpg
99KB, 500x687px
>>51468696
You're wrong, board discussion is ruled by memes. They're the most rigid constants in anonymous transiency. I don't want to intervene at all on /osrg/, I intend to make /tg/ great again. They're lost sheep.

And the time is ready. The fundamental contradictions of the new school have been accelerated to the point of explosive instability. They're butting into all the old faults once again, and each new homebrew patch to the cracked facade has come closer and closer to an accidental, though grotesque, return to the old school. A match to the fire, a holy light through the debris.
>>
>>51469169
Loss of attributes barely stings in LBB.
>>
>>51458770
yeah, lots of redundancy, but that's only if you're expanding from the core classes at all. that's how much redundancy you have to have to introduce the thief to a party of stealing assholes, and even then you'd better design the class so it doesn't nerf everyone else's stealing abilities because that's the core of the game.

ayys lmao should be in there as should mr skeltal, im sorry

skeleton is a legit class even though it may play poorly with clerics - presumably drinking estus wards off the holy turning
>>
>>51462200
You don't become a classed being by experience, it takes a special event that kicks you from 0-level npc to 0-exp npc. maybe your family dies in a raid or you face down an especially nasty rat in the basement, or you stand up to lead a small bunch of other 0-levels against a threat, or you just get really, really wankered down the pub one night
>>
>>51465530
actually you could buy legal scans of TSR stuff for $5/$10 each for quite a while back in the early 2000s. was one of the rpgnow competitors. not the best scans, but servicable.

then they transitioned some of it over to rpgnow/dtrpg and the original site lost the license, then they took it all down and slowly started putting it back up again recently.
>>
File: cannon+in+5e.jpg (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cannon+in+5e.jpg
267KB, 1920x1080px
>>51469246
>drinking estus wards off holy turning
>>
>>51469465
it's an undead favourite!
>>
>>51469504
How did you think the undead maintain all that nice, plump flesh?
>>
>>51469515
From baby eating, duh!
>>
File: amitok.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
amitok.pdf
1B, 486x500px
AD&D, True
>>
File: star.leviathan.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
star.leviathan.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51470000
Additional corrections for this one
>>
What are some unobtrusive mechanics similar to DCC'# Deeds?
>>
>>51471702
Not counting "Gambits"
>>
File: 15-2 - Feats.png (928KB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
15-2 - Feats.png
928KB, 1167x1654px
>>51471702
>>
does anyone have any experience with dccrpg?
>>
>>51474125
Yes
>>
>>51474125
Yes, I use it for my current campaign. Do you need help with something?
>>
>>51474617
i'm not super familiar with any osr-style games, but i got a copy of dccrpg from a friend and i am intimidated by the book. i was looking for any general advice on getting started with dcc.
>>
>>51474689
>i got a copy of dccrpg from a friend and i am intimidated by the book

Yeah, it's kind of an outlier in the OSR, in that it's kind of a big and crunchy system. If I was feeling ornery I would say it's NOT a REAL OSR game, maaaan! There's an app that helps with the die rolls and all the tables, so if you don't mind having a tablet or phone on the table, you might use that.
>>
>>51474762
But a rejection of crunchiness would make True AD&D not OSR.

I think True AD&D Guy would agree.
>>
>>51474689
DCC is definitely in the crunchier section of the OSR spectrum, and it's a bit of an oddball too because it isn't very compatible with other retroclones (which usually isn't a problem). It somewhat assumes that the user is already familiar with OSR games, and much of it is prose rather than tightly written out rules. Certain rules that existed in classic D&D (like travel mechanics for example) just isn't there, probably because the authors assume that the DM either doesn't care about it or is familiar enough to not need it in the new system. It can definitely get frustrating, and personally I had to get a 3rd party reference book and a phone app just to feel comfortable with using it in a fast and efficient manner. And then there's also the matter of getting all those wacky dice.
I'd say that if you're new to OSR or just RPGs, check out some other retroclones or just read the classic B/X D&D books. You can use the the DCC rulebook for inspiration and just for the joy of reading instead of immediately using it as a rule system.
>>
File: Amano_Dragon.jpg (204KB, 1000x874px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_Dragon.jpg
204KB, 1000x874px
>>51466345
LL if you want something that hews as close as possible to B/X, barring some minor things.
BFRPG if you want something that feels properly simple and oldschool, but makes some (good) concessions to more modern game design.

BFRPG has better dragons.
>>
>>51474689
>osr-style games,
DCC isn't osr-style though, it's a heavily altered and arguably more fun version of 3.x

To put it another way, saying DCC is osr is like saying Dungeon World is osr.
>>
>>51475039
>some (good) concessions

>races-&-classes instead of races-as-classes
>good
>>
>>51474838
what 3rd party reference book would that be?
>>
File: Amano_Monsters_FFII.jpg (2MB, 1367x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_Monsters_FFII.jpg
2MB, 1367x1018px
>>51475129
>opinions

>having non-human races at all
>>
>>51475157
https://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/dcc-rpg-reference-sheets-updated.html
>>
>>51475273
awesome. i'm going to try and penetrate the dccrpg book, but i might take a step back and run some 'purer' osr games first.
>>
>>51475410
B/X
LL
BFRPG
LotFP
>>
>>51475410
ACKS
>>
>>51475465
>>51475559

POTUS!
NIMBY!
SNAFU!

Hike!
>>
>>51475655
I didnt get the joke
>>
How feasible is reskinning SWN into a homebrew Spelljammer game?
>>
>>51475675

Oh I thought we were just yelling acronyms at each other, apropos of nothing. Y'know, since the guy they were responding to didn't say "hey everybody, say the initials of your favorite systems" or anything remotely like that.
>>
>>51475706
I'm disappointed in you anon, Adventurer Conquerer King System™ is the best retroclone out there, everyone should play ACKS™
>>
File: 290.jpg (38KB, 1750x315px) Image search: [Google]
290.jpg
38KB, 1750x315px
>>51475767
>>
>>51475129
>>51475158
I'm surprised no one aped the WoW d20 rules and includes both race-as-class and race-and-class.

Basically, if you want to be an Night Elf, you start as PHB Elf. To get all the cool powers like turning invisible there's a 2 (or 3?) level Night Elf racial class. Best of both worlds.
>>
> Adventurer Conqueror King System
> ACKS Player's Companion
> Domains at War: Campaigns
> The Sinister Stone of Sakkara
> Auran Empire Primer
> Dwimmermount (ACKS version)
> Domains at War: Battles
> Domains at War: Troops and Terrain
> Lairs & Encounters
> Guns of War
> Axioms issues 1-3

Worth it for $21.39? What there is actually good and what's shit?
>>
>>51475975
Good
>> Adventurer Conqueror King System
>> ACKS Player's Companion
>> Domains at War: Campaigns
>> Dwimmermount (ACKS version)
>> Domains at War: Battles
>> Domains at War: Troops and Terrain
>> Lairs & Encounters
>> Guns of War
>>
>>51447031
Lamentations of the Flame Princess is really good mechanically, but there is no denying that the art in it is tasteless. I'm pretty sure there is a no-art version out there somewhere...Unless you're as interested in seeing a pic of a woman getting disemboweled and fisted by skeletons. If so, then get THAT one.

Labyrinth Lord is good if you want something closer to the fidelity of the Moldvay/Cook basic game. It's a very vanilla sword-and-sorcery game, and I'm only recommending it because it is how I got started.

Basic Fantasy RPG does what Lab. Lord does, and the nice thing is that if you want to pay for a hardcopy they are dirt cheap. Hardcopies of LotFP run around $20. Same with Labyrinth Lord. BFRPG can be found new on Amazon for around $5.

All of them are good representations of OSR, and all of them have large selection of new material to support them.

Also, look into Sine Nomine Publishing if you want to do a OSR(ish) sci-fi game.
>>
>>51476028

They're just pulling out her intestines, dude.
>>
>>51475655

>B/X
c >>51443573

>LL
Labyrinth Lords
Its B/X in all but the name.
It was made so module writers could dodge the D&D IP while putting out B/X content.

>BFRPG
Basic Fantasy Role Playing Game
Also B/X, but with (a few) actual changes.

>LotFP
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
B/X with a skill system. Also a weird aesthetic.
There's an apocalypse around every corner!
>>
>>51475690
Not very feasible, they have radically different aesthetics.

Stars Without Numbers is hard sci-fi.
Spelljammer is fantasy Age of Sail.
>>
Am I the only one who likes lotfp core rulebook's art?
>>
>51476925
ye
>>
>>51476925

Nope, as an old metalhead it warms my heart to see those artists doing their thing.
>>
File: I fucking hate lotfp.jpg (209KB, 482x640px) Image search: [Google]
I fucking hate lotfp.jpg
209KB, 482x640px
>>51476495
They are, but one of them is most definitely going the extra mile.

Thanks, Raggi.
>>
>>51469335
>actually you could buy legal scans of TSR stuff for $5/$10 each for quite a while back in the early 2000s.
...well fuck. Guess I didn't know that back then.
>>
File: tumblr_mq4nboAILu1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg (146KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq4nboAILu1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg
146KB, 564x800px
>>51476925
I like it. A lot of people like to point at the Cannibal Corpse piece and I agree that it's not so good, but the majority is neat as hell. Definitely much better than most retroclones.
>>
>>51477117
>>51477117
>>51477117
>>
>>51477041

If you see that as being sexual, you are a weird dude. Or maybe you're Beavis. "Heh heh hm he's touching her butt!"

To which I say "Uhhhh. Beavis?"
>>
>>51477137
Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude. Its a disturbing image, made all the more disturbing because metalheads have shit taste
>>
File: Oderus Urungus.jpg (22KB, 225x288px) Image search: [Google]
Oderus Urungus.jpg
22KB, 225x288px
>>51477371

Of course it's a disturbing image, it's supposed to be.
Also fuck you and your tastes. My opinions can beat up your opinions.
>>
>>51477457
I can't believe your supervisor lets you dick around on this site for so long. The fries must be getting cold
>>
>>51477588

ebin post i give it +1 upboat
>>
>>51475975
just for the core book and the Player's Companion alone it's a good value

also Axioms #1 is good, #2 is kinda crap though(it falls into the trap that most OSR supplements for playable Beastmen do, makes them suboptimal compared to a human or demihuman option), haven't read #3 yet
>>
>>51477457
There are many things in this world, but there is no cure for shit taste.
>>
>>51479039

Well, sucks to be you, then.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.