[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General:Old Heroes Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 359
Thread images: 49

File: 1478129676531.jpg (804KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1478129676531.jpg
804KB, 1680x1050px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51398008

Tell us about your retired PCs. Do they still maintain influence? What do they fill their time with? What do the people think of them?
>>
>>51411073
Polearm Mastery for the increased chances of Opportunity attacks? Or for the bonus action to do d4?

I feel like EK already has better options for his bonus action.

>>51411086
I have two PC's that retired as war hero's / legendary figures, and the others are all stuck in limbo of games that never finished.
>>
>>51411149
>I feel like EK already has better options for his bonus action.
Second. Misty step, cantrip+weapon attack, and the 18th level spell-as-bonus action are all pretty rad.
>>
File: IMG_0414.png (555KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0414.png
555KB, 540x539px
I have a bitchy player

>ask for details on timeline for backgrounds
>do you want me to copy and paste my bio for you?
>ignore him
>his antagonist trained for many years and hunted him down
>"no my character left that place 6 months ago"
>OOC bitching, derailing
>have his antagonist arrested by the guards for trying to kill him
>months later irl
>totem barbarian unites his villages
>he asks mid session when is it his turn for his backstory
>tell him it's done
>more bitching
>>
>>51411205
So I don't understand.
Did you not read his bio, then get mad at him when he said you got his backstory wrong? And then you just tied it up in the most uninteresting way possible?
>>
What's the best background for mechanical advantage? I give no fucks for the fluff.
>>
>>51411268
Sounds to me like he tried to bring up the backstory, he just couldn't because the player decided to shut it down as fast as possible instead of playing into it.
>>
File: [Borrame esto imidiatamente].jpg (105KB, 588x393px) Image search: [Google]
[Borrame esto imidiatamente].jpg
105KB, 588x393px
>>51411293
>playing for the mechanical aspects and not the roleplay
You must be fun at parties. I've had 2 players do this and then drop when we started getting heavy into the actual roleplaying part after several sessions.
>>
>>51411149
PAM+GWM polearm outdamages GFB+BB usually, though at levels 7-10 GFB+BB has a bit of an advantage.

If you go GFB/BB you usually want to go rapier+shield anyway and try defence.
>>
File: Tears in the rain.jpg (100KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
Tears in the rain.jpg
100KB, 1024x819px
>>51411086
My PC IS FUCKING DEAD.
She died to a catfish.
Rip, Fists of the Sun. You will be missed.

Meanwhile, my oldest PC is still around in game despite her numerous death experiences. That game has been going very slowly.
>>
>>51411086
How would you stat Gae Bulg? I was thinking a pike that can be thrown like a javelin which acts like an arrow of slaying on every hit. Artifact obviously. Maybe the ability to once per day make an attack that doesn't need to roll and is an auto crit.
>>
>>51411293
Sailor.

Perception and athletics are the best skills, I suppose. Try and grab stealth and persuasion and maybe nature if you can, too

However, metagaming on something trivial like background is often a bad sign where the DM gives no fucks about your characters or you give no fucks about the game. In which case, replace backgrounds with 'choose two skills that aren't X' and 'choose two languages/tools that aren't X.'
>>
>>51411405
Sailor, gotcha.
>>
>>51411293
That depends on what kind of character you're playing, friendo.
>>
>>51411463
>Everybody is sailors: The Campaign

Also being gay makes your character resistant to succubi which are more common than incubi, so make your character gay.
>>
>>51411485
>not being asexual to resist both

You are 100 years too early to metagame.
>>
>>51411086
>not Torch-Bomb Wizards Edition

You done fucked up
>>
>Only me and the DM know the rules
>We create PCs just before the game starts
>Because of this DM makes the campaign without the group in mind
>Group starts together, but no one knows the others
>Just together for the sake of the game
>DM gives 0 reason to why we should adventure, we just to do it for the the action and to make the game keep going
>We always start at level 1, and the game falls apart before we reach level 4

How do I "fix" this?
>>
>>51411532
The idea is to fool them into making gay sailors.

That said, if you're metagaming in a normal campaign, 'gay' is much, much more likely to fly than asexual.
>>
>>51411554
Either make them play a less roleplay focused game such as have the party do dungeoncrawling (They can still put their non-combat skills to use) or DM your own campaign.
>>
>>51411559
>fucking dudes is more likely to fly than not wanting to fuck anyone

Maybe in your queer fantasyland, gaymo,.
>>
>>51411554
Have a session 0 and get the other players to learn the rules. Have them create their own backstories before session 1 so the DM can tie them together.

This assumes the other players are actually interested and want to put in the effort. Otherwise what >>51411574 said
>>
>>51411578
Assexuallism is akin to 'I'm not attracted to anything, therefore I have no flaws relationship-wise, you can't tempt me with anything' whereas gay actually has something.

Calling the character gay is metagaming while providing no evidence that you are metagaming. It's called subtlety.
>>
>>51411631
>gay
>subtle

Pick only one.
>>
Does anyone have that sanity system that worked like exhaustion? Was trying to look through the archive for the thread that it was posted in and I'm having trouble finding it.
>>
>>51411574
>DM your own campaign.
I never DMed before, but I might do this

>>51411606
>This assumes the other players are actually interested
Half the players are, do you think its possible to run with only 3 players?
>>
>>51411657
Better than
>hurr I hate everyone and I have no flaws
>>
File: image.png (377KB, 887x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
377KB, 887x656px
>large, 50ft flat steel wall
>player tries to roll to climb with no equipment
>gets a nat 20
>point out some hinges in the wall where they may be able to weaken it
>gets mad i dont let him climb a flat 50ft vertical surface
>"dude, its a nat 20, come on"

why do people think nat 20 = auto success in every way?
>>
>>51411046
Hol up
If you cast booming blade and cantrip doesnt that make it one attack plus another cantrip?
Or you mean it as use action to cast booming blade and bonus action for another boomig blade?
>>
>>51411660
The way I see it it's either your DM or your players being too lazy to put in the work. You can definitely run with only 3 people in a party, but I'd say try running a session 0 first so everyone can decide what they actually want to do. Hopefully the usually less interested players become more invested when they make their own choices.
>>
>>51411696
Because nat 20 memes and normies posting inaccuracies.
>>
>>51411696
Because they've read those hilarious nat 20 stories that always get posted.
>>
Is there a playable vampire race in 5e? Or at least a template you can use at start? I am possibly gonna play in an evil campaign and I kinda wanna play a vampire
>>
>>51411810
No, but do you know which game has vampires as playable class? Dungeons and Dragon 4th Edition™. Play 4e, it's a lot better than 5e!!!
>>
>>51411887
Well that doesn't fucking help when we're gonna be play 5e!!!!!!!
>>
>>51411810
Play an undying warlock that is slowly making his transformation into becoming a true vampire. It's the closest thing. Maybe see if you can play as the vampire race from the zandikar pdf too.
>>
>>51411905
>zandikar pdf

Is this the name of it or something else? So I know what to google.
>>
>>51411810
Yes, it's in the MtG licensed stuff and free.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27
>>
>>51411954
>>51411940
>>51411905
Cool beans, thanks man
>>
>>51411337
I have a player like this. He insisted on playing a lone murderhobo barbarian, and when I forced him to have some kind of connection to someone, he decided that he was avenging his dead family. Whenever I have an NPC talk to him he tries to shit it down as quickly as possible. His emotional range goes from "mildly annoyed" to "churlish." And it's not like he's in it for the combat, because he's just as bored and thoughtless when it comes to combat. He doesn't seem interested in any part of the campaign and I honestly don't know what the fuck he expects me to do.
>>
>>51411268
No, he left out chunks of his bio, I asked him for it, he was sarcastic. So I filled in the gaps (time between adventure, race of antagonist) he had this in his head, then got mad that I did what I wanted.
>>
>>51412040
Kill him, see if that's what he wanted all along.
>>
File: ArcanistsMillFull.jpg (151KB, 768x593px) Image search: [Google]
ArcanistsMillFull.jpg
151KB, 768x593px
Ran my players through map related (story doesn't matter, filler doesn't matter, it's not from a specific book or adventure, don't ask; just pulled the map from google images). Anyways, they're done and about to head back up. They came in from the ocean, and have a ship out that way (cliffside / below). Water is about 200ft below the cliff.

If you were to spring an ambush via some assassins as they came out of the cave and back into the cottage, how would you do it? My first thought is to try and seal them in and knock the cottage into the ocean. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51411696
The old 'don't say no' improvisation rule. It's more fun for everyone if you point out some hinges and let them climb a bit, but make sure they know they're going to need a lot more to climb any highre than the piddley attempt they just made. Who knows, with the first 15ft of wall climbable they might think of a way up such as rocketjumping with thunderstones.
>>
File: 2017-01-26 10.06.14.png (308KB, 1038x1553px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-26 10.06.14.png
308KB, 1038x1553px
The plot sickens lol.
More riveting information regarding the treacherous tale of the 5e Discord!
>>
>>51412185
Explosives beside the staircase for when they're going up the staircase back into the mill.

Destroying the entire place just to make it harder from them to get out of the cave and onto the surface seems unnecessary, and both that and collapsing the cave entrance loses the element of surprise.
>>
File: Gnome book.jpg (140KB, 592x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Gnome book.jpg
140KB, 592x1000px
Why it says right here in this tome that no one cares about the Discord, either version or variant of it. New, old, everyone's indifferent about the damn thing. Get back to building classes and let's all move on.
>>
>>51412143
I've killed him already, twice. Turns out death bores him as much as life does.
>>
File: 0m0.jpg (123KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0m0.jpg
123KB, 1024x1024px
Storm Paladin abomination again. One last question.
I recently acquired Storm Sphere and was wondering if using the bonus action Lightning Bolt granted to me by Storm Sphere counts a the Cast a Spell action or not?
>>
>>51412289

I'm assuming you mean blowing the staircase up to seal them in the cavern system with the only egress being waterfall?

Interesting....where / how do you see the battle escalating from there?
>>
>>51412362
Pfft, no.
Blow up the staircase as they go up it, so they actually fall off. Otherwise they could easily find a way up to the mill if they're really creative, but the assassins can siege them in the cave and shut down any attempts to get out while they dine on whatever food they can get up there.

The only battle will likely be a war of attrition and ranged attacks or the players trying to find an alternate route out.
>>
>>51412347
It's not casting a new spell, and it's not technically the Lightning Bolt spell. I don't know what you're trying to get away with, but so far the answer is no.
>>
So I got a war forged. What do normal people call them? They are unheard of in this setting. I've had them name him golem, construct, or just peculiar person

I got a story for him, he goes into a cavern that is a collapsed lab/remnants of war forged, when he goes inside the final chamber - proto weapon(a fucked up ultima weapon from ffx) bursts out of the wall, and tries to destroy him. Porto weapon sends out a beacon, which he can hear but doesn't know what it means. activiating ultimate weapon to hunt him, and activating a war forged base that contains omega weapon and his series design - omega goes on to explain that he an inferior mutated abberation of war forged. Base is destroyed and the PC can move forward, with closure about his past.
>>
Best CR 1/4 medium beast for revised ranger companion ?
>>
>>51412510
Panther. Sneak around and surprise the shit outta people.
>>
File: 1475988033349.png (979KB, 808x892px) Image search: [Google]
1475988033349.png
979KB, 808x892px
>>51411537
>8 int OP burns our hopes and dreams
>>
>>51412462
Who made them? I call them 'ansenton' since they're created by 'the Sentinel' deity in my setting. You could have them take name from whatever originally created them.

If they're unheard of, maybe the warforged doesn't even know what to call himself, letting the player have more creativity to define how their character fits in your setting.
>>
I'm looking at taking the Sentinel feat, but it says when I hit him his speed is reduced to 0, does that mean he stops moving when I hit him? And do I always have to use that part of the feat? The character has War Caster, and if so that'll interfere with using Booming Blade right?
>>
>>51412319
Well maybe ask him why the fuck he keeps playing, then.
>>
Good DC for the following?

> Player wants to recognize a spell being cast (1st through 5th)
> Player wants to see if they can recognize or ascertain the nature of a trap (both arcane or mechanical)
> Rogue wants to Dex save to mitigate damage diving into water from 100+ ft up

Also ruling help?

Player has a shield that acts like an immovable rod. Diving into water from high up, but wants to activate shield before hitting water. What do?
>>
>>51412798
>Player wants to recognize a spell being cast (1st through 5th)

Arcana (or religion) 14+spell level

>Player wants to see if they can recognize or ascertain the nature of a trap (both arcane or mechanical)

Investigation 12 for mechanical, 16 for magical.

>Rogue wants to Dex save to mitigate damage diving into water from 100+ ft up

DC 15. Remove 1d6 of damage for every point they beat the DC by (to a reasonable number).

>Player has a shield that acts like an immovable rod. Diving into water from high up, but wants to activate shield before hitting water

Player hits shield at terminal velocity. Takes appropriate falling damage.
>>
What situations that require a dexterity saving throw would Evasion not mitigate damage for?
>>
>>51412733
If you hit them at 10ft, they'll stop at 10ft.
If you hit them at 5ft, they'll stop at 5ft.

As such, tends to work better with reach as it stops them from hitting you after being reduced to 0 speed.

>>51412798
>Int, Arcana DC 8 + (2*spelllevel)

>Int, Investigation DC varying on complexity of trap (5 - very simple, 10 - simpleish, 15 - complex/old designs 20 - very complex, otherworldly or ancient designs)

>Acrobatics DC 10+(1 for every 10ft dropped). Fall damage is reduced to a quarter round up (3d6) even on failure, but is halved again to 1.25d6 (might as well round to 1d6) or none at all if they do particularly well. Of course, it all depends how deep the water is - if the water isn't very deep, it'll likely only half instead of quarter the damage initially.

The shield, if like an immovable rod, will likely deal more damage than if they hit solid ground considering impulse, but is best modelled as dealing damage to them depending on how far they fell before they activated the shield - count the shield as solid ground.
>>
>>51412957
Falling.
>>
>>51412869
>Player hits shield at terminal velocity. Takes appropriate falling damage.

One of my players tried to do something similar, jumped off a cliff and then used move earth to make a platform to land on

I asked "are you sure?"

He said "of course!"

I said "well you splatter against the ledge full speed, take 15d6 bludgeoning"
>>
>>51411696
>not taking this as an opportunity to hint that the PC is a Replicant with electromagnetic fingers
>>
>>51412957
Petrified, paralyzed, stunned and unconscious all might be ruled to not allow evasion to mitigate damage.

>>51412966
Falling sounds more like a skill check than a save.
>>
File: a475df5dd502fb482e2a87d04ecf5a25.jpg (106KB, 736x1252px) Image search: [Google]
a475df5dd502fb482e2a87d04ecf5a25.jpg
106KB, 736x1252px
How do I build an anti-mage warlock? I was thinking about going bladelock, picking up mageslayer, and the silence spell. Thoughts?
>>
>>51413131
Anything that would let you A) Negate spells B) Make the most number of attacks per round (More concentration checks = more dropped spells) C) Close the distance / move around.
>>
>>51413131
Bladelock. Make your Pact Weapon a large ball with two U-shaped indentations. Take Athletics proficiency.

Run up to an enemy, grapple them.
Put your hand over their mouth.
Summon your weapon.
Magical full-mouth gag stuck in their jaw.
>>
>>51413131
That sounds quite cool, make sure to carry gags around just incase you can't silence them, or try to cut out their tongue etc. that is also amazing character art for it, 10/10
>>
Having trouble scaling encounters for a large group, and relying on a lot of environmental effects / tripling HP of monsters to even stand a chance against this group:

7 10th level characters, each with magic items / +1 weapons

>Berzerker
>War Cleric
>Arcane Trickster
>Wild Mage
>Moon Druid
>Undying Light 'Lock
>Eldritch Knight

What monsters would be appropriate for this?
>>
>>51412957
Anything where you're not specifically saving for half damage. So spells and traps where you can save for no damage, like Sacred Flame and Acid Splash, are completely unaffected by evasion. Same thing for Dex saves made to avoid something ither than damage.
>>
>In ages past, Alanterie the Butcher sold her soul for power to her and all of her name, but died childless.
>In present day Alan Terry develops strange magical powers on the day he opens his butcher shop.

What class/es should Alan be?
>>
>>51411086
>Dungeons and Dragons general
>OP posts the cover of Neoclassical Geek Revival
Well.
>>
>>51411086
>Tell us about your retired PCs.
He's a That Wizard I swear I used blood magic no more than 4 times! with mannerisms of Tim Curry and smouldering hot looks of Fabio which he achieved by devouring a Death Slaad. Currently stuck inside a ring of mind shielding.
>Do they still maintain influence?
The players from the campaign that came after that - which I did not attend - found a magic ring, one party member got spooked and left it where it was.
It was not even the right ring.
>What do they fill their time with?
Being the loneliest person in the setting, I guess.
>What do the people think of them?
He's virtually unknown of. One of his party members had written a rather unrealistic biography of the terrific whizzurd, which did not recieve a whole lot of praise from the readers. The book did, however, get out in the outer planes, and apparently somehow influenced the events of the Blood War. I don't even.
Speaking of demons, one of the other players - who played a misguided priest of a demigod red dragon and is probably reading the thread right now - by the end of the campaign actually caused global genocide of east-coast civlization by breaking the barrier and restoring the connection of the setting to your usual Planescape multiverse, flooding the continent with tanarri in the process. Ironically, nowdays he's remembered as a great hero and saint, you can even get domain powers by worshipping him.
It was a fun - if a little questionable - campaign.
>>
>>51413304
A goddamn warlock.
>>
>>51413131
Bladelock is never a good idea. Not only are warlocks not built for melee, but a tomelock with Shillelagh makes for a better bladelock than the bladelock.

Also consider that you're unlikely to face that many spellcasters in the campaign anyway.
>>
>>51411554
Start at lvl 3, PCs are working on a contract with the local royal office (think of if as a mercenary office under the controll of the crown that holds a monopoly - i.e. a standard ''adventurers guild'').
>>
>>51413315
Huh. I guess I learned something today.
>>
>>51411696
Unless he's a monk he should have seen that one coming.
>>
>>51413131
If you're willing to multiclass, fighter 1 for high AC and rogue 1 for athletics expertise will give you some great results

If you grapple a wizard and shove him prone he'll have issues hitting anything, add mage slayer and you can smack him around whenever he casts a spell

Take rogue to 3 and pick thief for a bonus action gag/manacles/hogtie

I also homebrewed a mage slayer ranger if you're interested
>>
>>51413238
Your problem is probably not that you're using the wrong monsters, but that you're using too few monsters and too few fights per day. A party from mid to high level can beat almost anything, but they can't do it six times in a row. Wear them down, even if it means using much weaker monsters than they could handle in ideal conditions. Trick them into spending their resources early (a line of skeleton archers is a lovely waste of a Fireball) and deny them rest until the job is done.
>>
>>51413333
>>51413304
There's also an argument for Sorcerer, as he didn't make the pact, but it affected him inherently.
>>
>>51413238
Think tactical. Give the monsters cover, reinforcements, siege weapons, etc. Employ weapons and spells to immobilize melee players while hidden artillery blasts the shit out of everyone. Flying enemies using hit and run attacks. Mages riding flying enemies.

If you want specifics:

Young red dragon. Lair in volcano (passive fire damage), magma elementals (reskinned stone elementals with extra fire damage) who push them into the lava.

Stone golem. Chained to it are half a dozens large undead. A chimera follows all of them, waiting for an easy meal.

Mindflayers riding manticores.
>>
>>51411086
>play a serious character who jokes around sometimes but for the most part remains focused on the quest and doesn't act like a goofball

>other party members ostracize me for this, telling me im unlikable

>gain new party members when old ones leave

>they act literally the same way despite not being there before and having no reason to dislike me

Why can't I just play a character the way I want to without being treated like shit over it.

Also

>do one "evil" thing in a 'the ends justify the means, the world is literally about to end' situation

>party members literally never let me forget it, even new ones who weren't there when it happened remind me of it like im even more of a monster than the bad guys we're fighting
>>
>>51412798
Learn fucking DC math

Average on a D20 is 10.5, we'll pretend it's 10. So, a DC10 check with +0 has a 50/50 chance of success. A DC10 check with +5 has a 75/25 chance of success. (Side note, 5e is designed so you usually have roughly a 75% chance to hit).

Generally speaking, a good baseline DC is 10 plus the party's current proficiency bonus. A proficient character (10 + skill mod + prof bonus) will therefore have a greater than 50% chance, while a non-proficient character (10 + skill mod) will almost always have less than 50%. Add or subtract 5 to make it tougher or easier, or +/-10 to make it dramatically tougher or easier. Calibrate the difficult to the desired odds of success.
>>
What's your favorite feat?

Least favorite?
>>
What do you do with a player at the table who dislikes active roleplaying?
>>
Can someone post that tactician wizard school thing that was posted some days ago?

I wanted to see if it's bullshit because I heard someone was making one.
>>
>>51413568
Inspiring Leader.
>>
>>51413568
My favorite combination of feats is Observant + Keen Mind. I had both on a Human Mastermind Rogue, and essentially played a stabbier, kill-ier Sherlock Holmes.

I was also able to convince my DM to let me do some cheese like remember any conversation happening in a tavern from a few days ago, and do Investigation checks on my own memory.
>>
>>51413568
>favorite feat
Tavern Brawler
>throw anything (including the corpses of your enemies)
>shield bash and grapple
>use rope-whips, piton-daggers, chair-greatclubs, bedsheet-nets
>get elemental damage on demand with a torch or other similar knicknacks
>make the pimp hand strong

>Least Favorite
Lucky
Auto-take feats should not be a thing
>>
>>51413586
Let him roleplay descriptively. I enjoy affecting voices and acting like different people, but I don't really consider it central to playing the game.
>>
Rough idea for Bladelock change
>You learn Eldritch Strike cantrip
>Is the same as an Agonizing Blast/Repelling Blast, however only has S (a weapon attack) and M (your pact weapon) components
>The range is the range of your weapon
>If your weapon uses ammo Eldritch Strike provides it
>Also gives you a form of Unarmored Defense equal to CHA+DEX?

Assuming the unarmored defense isn't going in since that version is probably OP, would you say that would work to beef up Bladelock?

It'd let you get the full damage of an invocation EB without spending valuable invocation slots, however you don't get any of the utility of the other Pacts
>>
File: 103.jpg (90KB, 297x297px) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
90KB, 297x297px
I keep hearing people shit on Bladelocks here, but have never actually played one or had one of my players make one. Is it that bad? Why is it bad? What would you do to address its problems?
>>
>>51413586
Either let him play the way he likes or have some fun with him by constantly having NPCs have business with him and him alone.
>>
>>51413713
It's not bad at all, but it's not "optimal" enough

Honestly the only issue I see with it is that the +cha to damage invocation should be made part of the blade's regular bonuses at level 3

That's literally all there is to it
>>
>>51413568
>favourite feat
Athlete, followed by Mobile, followed by Sentinel
Athlete - Promotes creative combat where you climb things, go prone to avoid ranged attacks, use abilities that make people go prone, et cetera. Would be better if there was more syenrgy like with thunder stones.
Mobile - Again, promotes more dynamic combat, really supplements monk allowing them to offset their squishiness with kiting and running.
Sentinel - Allows melee martials to do their job - stop enemies from fucking over the rest of the party.

>least favourite feat
Lucky.
Fuck lucky.
'Nothing bad should ever happen to my character!'
>>
>>51413713
It's a melee option for a class that doesn't really have the durability for melee, plus it just gives you MAD. And with the addition of the Blade cantrips from the Sword Coast Guide, tomelock can do the same thing with less fuss.
>>
>>51411887
Uh... Vampire is not a class. Halfwit.
>>
>>51413713
Bladelock is fine
>>
>>51413568
>favorite feat
This is a little boring, but I like Resilient a lot. Nice and simple, great for boosting an odd stat.

>least favorite
Weapon Master. It doesn't even stay true to it's name when it only gives you a handful of weapons to play with.
>>
File: Vampire class.jpg (230KB, 793x782px) Image search: [Google]
Vampire class.jpg
230KB, 793x782px
>>51413783
>Vampire is not a class
>>
>>51413713
I've seen three players try to play bladelocks and fail. Its shortcomings are as follows:

First, it's MAD. The ability score you hit shit with is not the same as the ability score you cast spells with. One or both is likely to be too low for your tastes (not to mention all the Con you'll need to survive more than a round playing like a fighter, and also Dex if you're not using a finesse weapon.)

Second, the warlock does not have strong enough features to survive life as a front-line melee combatant. He's too fragile for melee to be his first resort. He can cast False Life on himself for all the good it'll do, but it's a poor substitute for the rogue's Cunning Action/Uncanny Dodge, the monk's Step of the Wind, or other melee classes' high HP and proficiency in good armor.

Third, and this is the hardest issue to fix, warlock pacts are pretty "small" as far as subclasses go, and there just isn't enough room in there to completely repurpose a primary caster into a melee weapon fighter. A bladelock is generally better off casting Eldritch Blast and other spells rather than wading into melee, not just because it's safer but because every core Warlock ability is built for casting spells from range.
>>
File: 1484246228600.jpg (67KB, 540x509px) Image search: [Google]
1484246228600.jpg
67KB, 540x509px
>>51413863
>4e
>>
File: checking the receipt.jpg (57KB, 564x838px) Image search: [Google]
checking the receipt.jpg
57KB, 564x838px
>>51413885
I mean, he'd even said in the reply chain that vampire was a class in 4e. Reading comprehension dude decided to ignore that somehow in calling him a halfwit.
>>
>>51413705
I still don't get why people think 'bladelock should be a pact option' is fine. Just because they wrote it into the PHB doesn't mean it's a good idea - we all already know bladelock is stupid as fuck.

Bladelock should not be a pact option, full stop.

It'd make more sense to say something like, at level 1,
'Choose either eldritch blast or eldritch strike. If you choose eldritch strike, you automatically get the +CHA invocation.'

Also eldritch strike hits count as spell attacks, not melee weapon attacks.

Pact of the blade should then be a pact centred not around direct combat buffs or the like, but utility. Utilities such as being able to easily switch out weapons or armour as they see fit, and that sort of thing.
Pact options should be utility options.
>>
>>51413885
>4e
Yeah, we were talking about 4e. And there is literally nothing wrong with a vampire class. If I made the game, there would be no races, just classes
>>
>>51412798
Are they using the shield as something to land on rather than hitting the water as some seem to believe is the case without asking... Or are they holding the shield above them with plans to activate it so as to not hit the water by hanging from said shield. Then deactivating it to land safely in the water. I would call for a straight Str save or perhaps athletics to see if they manage to hold on and/or not hurt themselves from the jarring event. Much like catching a ledge while falling.
>>
File: tavernbrawling.jpg (103KB, 844x728px) Image search: [Google]
tavernbrawling.jpg
103KB, 844x728px
>>51413568
Tavern Brawler is the best.

Lucky is the shittiest. It's not the worst mechanically, but it does the most to be the gayest feat.
>>
>>51413943
Was looking for reasoning on both occurrences. Good looking out.
>>
File: Pacts in 5e.png (97KB, 1272x521px) Image search: [Google]
Pacts in 5e.png
97KB, 1272x521px
>>51413713
As said elsewhere

1. It's MAD.
2. It's actually worse than EB when you consider EB's push ability is strong, especially for long range combatants, even if EB does slightly less damage and all that.
3. It requires you to be up in close combat
4. A good bladelock wants something like PAM and a level of fighter at least - it's restrictive unless you want to incur point 5.
5. You're fucking squishy and shouldn't be in melee, but this is kind of part of 3. Though it does have some stuf flike armor of agathys
6. It is a pact option. Bladelock as a pact is SERIOUSLY out of place.

Firstly, without invocations, blade pact does jack shit.
Secondly, with invocations, all it does is give you combat buffs rather than every other option which gives you almost entirely non-combat utility, except stuff like shillelagh and familiars using the 'help' action.
Thirdly, a level 3 minor choice should not make the dramatic decision to turning you from a semi-squish ranged caster to a hard iron wrought melee fighter or a massive damage but squishy melee fighter. The level 3 pact choice isn't supposed to be that strong.
>>
>>51413923
>all vampires are the same
racist
>>
>>51413917
>>51413923
Don't mind me, wasn't even following the discussion, just dislike 4e
Not a fan of "races as classes" either, how could I become a gnome barbarian?
>>
>>51414012
>Not a fan of "races as classes" either, how could I become a gnome barbarian?
I like races as multiple classes: each race has at least 3 different classes. A dwarf runepriest is different than a human cleric for exemple
>>
>>51411405
>>51411463
imo you could do more with the nobility background, depending on the DM. depends on the level of powergaming you have in mind, character vs your characters armies.
>>
>>51414012
Halfling barbarogue is completely viable. Dex barbarians are a thing and two-weapon-fighting with shortswords is actually the best weapon for barbarian up until level 5, at which point it's not quite as good as a maul but eh it's still dex based.

>>51414053
If the DM does it properly, the extra characters shouldn't be useful for combat and such and it'll be generally a pain to drag all that through when clearly this is a case of 'our DM just wants us to take backgrounds for proficiencies, that's all that matters' or something. At least, I hope that's it.
>>
>>51411086
I've got a PC that's retired after getting gifted immortality by the gods (he can die from mortal wounds, but not old age or illness) after saving them from a literal Godslayer.

He's turned both his family name and family lands into the most respected and desired vineyard on his home continent. Many people think that he died after an excursion into the outer planes, a story he's purposefully embellished and spread around to benefit his desire of remaining anonymous.

His reason for doing so is so he can personally find desperate people to enter into eldritch pacts with him, loaning away a bit of his power in exchange for small favors down the road.

His wine's name is The Devil's Bargain.

It was a 3.5 game where I played a LE Human Warlock that got into epic levels (we started at level 3), and over the course of the adventure I killed my patron and assumed his pact powers for my own.
>>
>>51413568
>most favorite
Magic initiate, it can be used in many ways, even if most are not very efficient.

>least favorite
Mage Slayer, I find it disappointing.

>special mention
Savage attacker, surely the hardest feature to use optimally in the game, still shit though.
>>
>>51413586

You mean he refers to his character as a series of actions instead of talking in-person?

Kick him out if he doesn't fit in.

Ooorrrr work with him. Let other people actively roleplay around him, but occasionally get them to pause and get the player's input on the situation, or ask what actions he's idly performing. Let him describe himself in the third person if he wants. Assume that whatever comes out of his mouth is expressed in-character, but over time ask for more details like his character's mood and tone in expressing those ideas.

>P1: "I don't understand why you're being so obtuse about this, Algol-"
>P2: "I'm not being obtuse Drake, a direct attack would risk too many of the villager's lives!"
>DM: "John, what does Heran think about the debate at hand?"
P3: "Uh, he agrees with Algol, he wants to attack"
DM: "Do you argue that point on behalf of Drake?"
P3: "Uhm... no, I don't want to upset Algol.
DM: "Alright, Heran interjects to quietly state that he agrees with Drake, but doesn't push the point."
P2: "Well fine, I can appreciate that I'm outnumbered, but can we at least find some way to mitigate losses?"
>>
File: Savageattacker2.png (52KB, 1194x494px) Image search: [Google]
Savageattacker2.png
52KB, 1194x494px
>>51414103
>TFW to use savage attack optimally you need vast tables that vary depending on how many attacks you make, your hit chance, when you make the attacks in the round and what weapon you're using
>>
>>51414147
Oh, forgot to mention

>also you jump to an entirely new table on the chance that you crit because you roll a different number of dice
>you have to account for the chance to crit as well therefore, and you also have to account for things that might let you reroll such as halfling's lucky

Savage attacker looks like such a simple feat
But even if you maximize its potential it's still shit.
>>
>>51413863
Vampire is not a class. It doesn't matter if some dumbass decided to make a class and call it vampire (in this case the dumbass got paid and it's official, still stupid). It is a race, or to be a bit more proper in D&D terminology, a template added on to a race.

That's like saying skeleton, lich, half-fiend or half-dragon is a class. They aren't, it isn't.
>>
Is it a good idea to pick skill check spells rather than saving throws spells (web/watery sphere/evard's) with your Magical Secrets as a bard ?

The idea is to use Cutting Words to have creatures fail the spell.
>>
>>51414223
No one's arguing that vampire should be a class, they're just giving evidence that at one point in time it was a class for all the good it actually did. They didn't do a good job of it either.
>>
>>51414223
It's not up to you decide what is and what is not a class.
>>
File: fail.png (64KB, 766x716px) Image search: [Google]
fail.png
64KB, 766x716px
>>51414147
>tfw I didn't even got this far
>>
>>51413917
It has nothing to do with my reading comprehension. It flat out says that you were a vampire /before/ taking levels in said class, i.e. it is not a class that lets you be a vampire. It is a class that enhances your abilities /as/ a vampire.
>>
>>51414194
Oh and also fuck you if you use brutal criticals or half-orc's extra, because that adds even more damage dice and then you need even more tables.
Also GWF changes things again.
>>51414285
Honsetly it's better to appromiaxte it than do all of this
You can see the scale of it because the table in the utmost top-left is still there
This only includes 2d6, 4d6, 1d12, 2d12, 3d12 or 4d12, 1d4, 2d4 and a composite table of both 2d6 and 4d6. And 1d10. And 2d10. And 1d10 with GWF and 2d6 with GWF-
Oh, yeah, GWF changes the tables again. Fuck, adding that.

>>51414223
I remember back when 'dwarf' was a class.

>>51414233
Counterspell is practically compulsory, sort of, and your jack of all trades boosts it.

As for what your second spell is.. Eh, I don't know. Are there even really a lot of spells with skill checks? Because at least web doesn't from what I just saw. You should see if they're really worth it over other things like aura of vitality.
>>
File: savage attacker3.png (28KB, 1344x484px) Image search: [Google]
savage attacker3.png
28KB, 1344x484px
>>51414338
>>51414285
>forgot image
>>
>>51413713
Eldritch Blast can do everything that the Pact of the Blade does, but better and with less investment.
>>
>>51414384
Yeah, but can you hide your laser beams in an extradimensional space and only pull them out when you need them, skirting through security checkpoints or confounding bandits who disarm you??????????
>>
>>51414338
>You can see the scale of it because the table in the utmost top-left is still there
I don't understand what you mean

>web doesn't from
Web is a DEX save the first time then STR check if the creature got caught. Evard's is the same, only Watery Sphere is a straight STR check.
>>
>>51414363
haha. How much is it worth in the end for a 1d8 or a 1d12 with 2 attacks ?

0.05 crit chance, no GWM no GWF no Lucky.
>>
>>51414411
I admit I exaggerated. At the same level of investment, Eldritch Blast will do more damage and keep you alive longer both at range and in melee. Only when you have all the related invocations, high ability scores, and a magic weapon, can the Pact of the Blade outperform Eldritch Blast in damage.
>>
>>51414516
anon
the joke is that yes, you can hide your laser beams in an extradimensional space
it's not like you are carrying eldritch blasts in a quiver on your back all the time
>>
File: pepperidge farms.png (369KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
pepperidge farms.png
369KB, 720x540px
>>51414338
>Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling were classes once upon a time

D&D 1.0 had some issues, that's for sure.
>>
>>51414538
To be honest, I forgot what I was prove or why.
>>
How much of a douche would I be if I dropped a couple of Guards and Wards spells in when we go to Ravenloft?
>>
>>51414223
Rather than taking up a specific method of fighting like a Fighter or Wizard, the Vampire class instead focuses upon enhancing the abilities and skills already inherent in a vampiric body.

I'll admit, I'm pulling that statement out my ass because I know fuckall about 4E, but that's what it'd seem like to me, and how you'd justify it.
>>
>>51414569
My brain is starting to fail again. I'm going to sleep. Night gents and lads.
>>
>>51411046

that's it right there. look into warcaster so you can reaction out booming blades after level 11. use a heavy weapon and GWM.
>>
>>51411696
>why do people think nat 20 = auto success in every way?
You're partially at fault here, in that you let him roll to try, giving him the impression it was possible.

If you knew ahead of time that climbing the wall without equipment wasn't within the realm of possibility (ie. no number rolled would allow for a success), you shouldn't have given him the opportunity to roll. Not for Athletics, at least.

You were willing to let him use the roll retroactively for Investigation or Perception, but you should tell your players ahead of time what they're rolling for and break the habit of just having them roll without consulting first.
>>
>>51414461
I'd also need to-hit chance if it's more than one attack and to work out what the fuck's going on with these tables since it's a bit of a mess, but I can tell you a single greatsword hit without factoring AC on a single attack is +1.37 damage or +1.93 on a crit and on a greataxe it's +1.97 damage or +2.79 on a crit.
You then get diminishing returns depending on AC but I can tell you it'd be exactly +1.33 total for greatsword with a 0.55 hit chance and 0.05 crit chance and for a greataxe it's probably, again, going to look around +1.9 or something, but the greataxe one is an estimate. The reason those damages are less than the ones I gave before are because they're reduced by AC, because if you made a single attack for example you'd only have a 0.6 chance of even getting to use savage attacker in the first place.
>>
>>51414657
>>51414461
That said if you want to maximize your use of savage attacker, you want:
>lots of damage dice
>a reaction attack (You can use savage attacker on the turns of others)
>lots of attacks
>higher hit chance
>higher crit chance
>not having GWF
>a 1d12 weapon instead of a 2d6 weapon

But even then generally GWM is better, even for a half-orc champion3/barbarianX or something. If somehow after PAM and maybe GWM and getting 20 strength you still have room for feats and want to push the damage limit or you're a fighter and desperately want more damage for some reason, you could maybe get savage attacker, I guess.

Shame it doesn't work on sneak attacks or such.
>>
>>51414541
>Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling were classes once upon a time
>issues
that was awesome
>>
>>51414657
>>51414461
Fuck
>it takes me 3 posts to get this right
The second 'paragraph' starting at 'You then get diminishing returns...' is for two attacks.

The answer to your question for 1d12 is that it's roughly +1.9 damage for your entire turn when you take the attack action for a hit chance of 0.55, crit chance of 0.05.
>>
>>51412869
>Arcana (or religion) 14+spell level
Is this your personal rule or is it in the DMG or from somewhere else?
>>
Which of these would be better for improving the Sorcerer's access to spells?

>Simple increase
Just giving the class more spells at the core. Both increasing the amount listed on the class table and possibly also giving +Cha. So instead of their spell selection being inferior to the wizard, they'd have a smaller selection total (since they don't have a spellbook) but more spells available at a time (compared to a wizard's prepared spell list).

>Origin Spells
Alternatively, giving each Sorcerous Origin a list of spells akin to Domain Spells or Oath Spells. This, I think would be the more interesting change, though not exactly the more powerful of the two. As with Domain, Oath, and Circle of the Land spells, this could include spells not on the sorcerer's spell list.

This would be tricky when it comes to Draconic Bloodline, since there'd be a few different spells for each kind of dragon, but, y'know, manageable.
>>
>>51414749
OK Thanks.
>>
>>51414956
I give sorcerer access to all Metamagic options at lvl 3.
>>
>>51414786
>Is this your personal rule or is it in the DMG or from somewhere else?

I reckon the rule generically is the same as for Counterspelling, Arcana Check: 10+Spell level with Religion being sometimes an option to identify Divine Magic.

However, if a spell being cast is on your spell list, you simply recognize it, no check required
>>
>>51414956
The sorcerer's spell count is fine as is, the fact that they know less spells is balanced by the number of cantrips they get, metamagic and strong origin features, as well as using an actually useful stat to cast instead of the universal dump stat. There could be an origin that adds new spells but they would be as a feature
>>
File: 1476955169218.jpg (369KB, 1200x1566px) Image search: [Google]
1476955169218.jpg
369KB, 1200x1566px
>>51414956
I like the second one much more. The Draconic Origin spell list would be tricky though. I actually went through the trouble of making ten different spell lists for a Draconic Patron Warlock I was homebrewing a while ago. I'd post them, but they're on my old laptop.

If you gave sorcerers special spell lists, should those be in addition to their existing abilities or should they replace a Sorcerous Origin feature?
>>
>>51414956
THe latter. People who say sorcs "are fine cause cantrips" are dumb and bad at the game. Pure class sorcerers are fuckin garbage so I always give my sorc players a list of spells like cleric domains based on their character concept. I always make sure the list has several great spells from other spell lists, because the sorcerer spell list is terrible.
>>
I'm going to let a player play Artificer, but I think the spell list is ridiculously nerfed, and I'm going to assign it the Ranger table / half Caster progression

I think it only makes sense to unlock spells like Fabricate and Leomund's Tiny Chest at a point where maybe you still can't afford to buy forty bags of holding, and also the obvious, offensive gap of an artificer lacking L5 spell slots, at the height of its power, being unable to craft a Golem

But raises the question of "What are appropriate level 5 spells for an artificer"

I'm thinking spells with permanency like teleporting circle, and costly components, like Scrying.

What else would you people pitch me? The rest of the list seems to favor mobility, and survival
>>
>>51415077
I was imagining they'd be in addition to their normal abilities.

>>51415040
>balanced by the number of cantrips they get, metamagic and strong origin features
I thought that once, too, until someone pointed out how limited metamagic and origin features are by Sorcery Points. Their origin features are stronger than average, but hardly by enough (compared to wizard tradition features) to justify their weaknesses elsewhere.

I don't think sorcerers are terrible. I just think they could use a little bump to be competitive with wizards. Either by giving them access to more spells or by doubling down on the "powerful origin features" thing. This is less work.
>>
>>51415128
If you compare it to, say, an Arcane Tricskter, everything's pretty much fine. It doesn't have to be overly complicated with more spells to make it all work.

But, eh, I guess it doesn't break anything to give them half casting.

It's just what you really should be concerned about is how the level 6 feature fits in.
>>
>>51415214

Way I see it, if it starts getting silly, there'll be a few Dispel Magics going around until the player gets the idea

And I get the comparison to the arcane trickster, but I just think the way the class synergizes with its roll that anything short of a half caster is astonishing
>>
>>51415245
The comparison to an AT is less about the spell slots and more about how they're kitted out, being that they're focused more on skills, tools, the magic is extra utility and then they have some abilities they can apply to problems. And maybe extra things with messing with items. Then in combat they focus on at-will abilities.

Solving a problem with just pure dispel magic doesn't sound like a good idea, but I doubt halfcasting would cause problems. I mean, by level 7, third casters have 4 level 1 spell slots, 2 level 2 spell slots and half casters have 4 level 1 spell slots, 3 level 2 spell slots. The difference is hardly impressive until later on where one caps out at level 5 spells and the other caps off at a level 4 spell.

And, also, you can look at artificers more like scientists - they only need to know the basics of magic to get their contraptions running, they don't need fancy, overcomplicated spells like a delayed fireball when just a simple fireball would do it if they can manipulate it into something that uses fireballs. Not that they get fireball.

I'm thinking it might be a good alternate to the level 6 ability, 'you get more spells'. So a pact-like choice between a construct assistant (that's hopefully not a key combatant), utility magics or maybe extra gunsmith/alchemist options.
>>
Does anyone think the Shadow Sorcerer's Hound could use scaling of some sort? I was thinking giving it 37 -> 60hp and 2d6+3 -> 3d6+4 at lvl 11ish and then perk it up later to something like 90hp and give it multiattack at 19?

Opinions?
>>
>>51413568
>Favorite Feat
Magic Initiate
I like the free cantrips and spell. Great for martial characters.

>Least Favorite
Dual Wielder
It's not that good a feat as it is commonly outclassed by DEX increases, I house rule that you get a +1 to Dex/STR when you pick this up cause otherwise it would be a complete waste for most characters.
>>
>>51415129
There was talk a few threads back about having the Sorcerer capstone get bumped down to level 5 or so, and having it scale with levels until you got to 4 or 5 Sorcery Points regained with a short rest at level 20.

I know one anon theorized that if they did move the Sorcerer capstone down and did the scaling thing, that the new capstone would be to (basially) let them cast Shapeshift on themselves, but restrict it to them only turning into their Sorcerous Origin species for a minute (a CR 20 dragon for Dragon Sorcerers, an Avatar of the Wave for Wild Magic, a Storm Giant for Storm Sorcerers, etc.)
>>
>>51415386
yeah sure
>at level 11 it gets SUPER DISADVANTAGE
>at level 19 it gets ULTRA DISADVANTAGE
What's this about combat stats? Why the fuck do you care about combat stats? It's DISADVANTAGE HOUND, stop trying to make shadow sorcerer even more powerful.
>>
Last night some anon posted about making an elf cleric that he didn't want to be too elfy, and couldn't think of a good reason why a woodelf would be a forge cleric. I said I would come up with a possible story. I mightve gone overboard in length but oh well, I really like clerics so I figured what the hell. It's a little long, so it'll be in multiple posts. Anyway, hopefully elf anon sees this.

>You were born into a typical woodelf village, deep in the temperate forests that rest at the base of a mighty mountain. However, at a very young age, just at the cusp of when your first memories form, the usually quiet village was in an uproar. You ran home found your parents as they were donning armor and preparing their weapons, unsure of what was happening. Your parents grabbed you, told you to run as fast as you possibly could towards the mountain to hide in one of the caves there until they came back, and that they loved you very, very much. Too young to recognize the signs of an approaching orc hoard from over the horizon, you sprinted through the forest until you reached one of the caves you and your friends occasionally ‘play adventure’ in. You cowered at the sounds of utter chaos that emanated from outside your cave, from your home. Eventually however, the sounds subsided, and you began to wait for you parents to come and retrieve you, too scared to venture outside the cave by yourself. That was the last day you saw your parents.
>>
>>51415436
>Too scared to venture deeper into the cave, and too young to handle the dangers of the forest, you waited there for days, nearly wasting away to oblivion. Before doing so, however, through your fading vision you saw a stout figure approaching through the light. Utterly exhausted, you pass out. When you came to, you were in a hard bed in a stone chamber with no windows and a small fire on the opposite end. You hear a door open, and painfully crane your neck to see a dwarf entering the room with a small tray of bread and water. He introduced himself as Harbrek the priest, and one of many dwarves that live within the mountain. He explains how he found you near one of the entrances to this stronghold on the brink of death, and carried you into to his home temple, saving your life. He also explained how the forests surrounding the mountain have been completely ravaged by the orcs, and how only the mountain stronghold is still standing. In shock, you spent the next few weeks regaining your strength under the care of the kind dwarf, slowly digesting the fact that home was gone. After you recovered, Harbrek offered to escort you to another region’s forest to reunite you with others of your kind, if you so desired. During your time in the temple, however, you had grown rather attached to the dwarf, and rather surprisingly asked if you could stay and grow up under him in the mountain. A wood elf being raised by dwarves was unheard of in this stronghold, so Harbrek went to converse with the high priest of the temple. After a brief moment, he returned and said you may stay to live within the temple.
>>
>>51415451
>In your early years, life was simple. Much of your time was spent within the grand temple of the stronghold, where homage and prayer were offered to several gods alongside worship to Moradin, the patron deity of the dwarves. The priests that lived there with you were kind, and the common people who came for worship often paid you little mind, other than the occasional second glance. Eventually, though, it was common for young dwarves to attend school to learn of their heritage, of the world outside the stronghold, and a craft to use through life. It was there that the unusualness of your upbringing first began to truly show. At best, other students generally avoided you, unkind yet without malcontent. Others weren’t as passive, and berated you with insults and slurs, such as knife-ear or beardless-bitch. The teachers were indifferent and often did nothing for you. Blaming your problems on your elven heritage, you renounced your ancestry and attempted to become as much of a dwarf as you could possibly be. You developed a fiery devotion to Moradin, hoping that unerringly following his dogma would somehow more in the image of your fellow stone-brothers. In addition, you threw yourself deep into your studies at school, as, quite frankly, you didn’t have much of a social life anyway. You wanted to be the greatest dwarf to ever walk these stone halls.
>>
>>51415464
>It was clear that some of the most respected members of society were the master smiths, so you chose to learn smithing in school over masonry or brewing. It wasn’t long before your constant practice and unending determination made you incredibly proficient at the craft. Your unmatched skill over the other students earned you quite a bit of attention, but not the kind you had hoped. Upset that they were being bested by some elf, some other students decided the proper thing to do was make your life hell. They sabotaged your smithing projects, the insults grew in number and frequency, and occasional threats to beat the everloving shit out of you were found stuffed into your bag. Fed up with all of the bullshit in your life, you attempted to shortcut your way out of school and directly into one of the craftsmen’s guilds. Due to your unprecedented skill at such a young age and a kind letter of recommendation from the high priest of Moradin, you miraculously were accepted into the guild.
>>
File: Moradin_symbol.jpg (15KB, 200x227px) Image search: [Google]
Moradin_symbol.jpg
15KB, 200x227px
>>51415480
>It was no bed of roses, but life much simpler and straightforward in the guild. For years you honed your craft and maintained your devotion to the gods. Over time, you earned the respect of some previously wary guild-brothers. As it turns out, the combination of dwarven practice and technique, and the natural elegance and dexterity of an elf led to some utterly beautiful craft. After decades of work in the guild, however, you felt something was missing in life. There was only so much to learn, practice, and craft within your mountain home, and you wanted more. After much internal discussion, and a conversation with your father figure, Harbrek, you decided to venture out of the stronghold in search of adventure, and a few goals in mind. First, you wished to help others as Harbrek had once helped you, offering your services wherever needed. If that meant killing some orcs, too, all the better. Second, you wished to live a life Moradin would be proud of, expanding the dwarvish culture and protecting the world from evils. And third, you wished to become the greatest smith to ever walk this world. You wished to craft such an exquisite masterpiece that your name would pass into legend. You wanted to have your name carved into the Hall of Legends, alongside some of the most important dwarven ancestors of your stronghold. But you knew it would be foolish to attempt such things alone, in this new world on the surface, so you set out in search of other fortune seekers to adventure with...

Hope you see this pal
>>
How do I warm my group to the idea of using roll20?

Had a couple players move away but want to keep playing with them, and I prefer DMing on roll20 anyway. I have two very combat-oriented players who aren't too sure about it. I want to set up a good combat that makes use of having a detailed map and grid, since I know they'd enjoy that, but I'm drawing a blank on how to do that. My current plan is to send them to a wizard tower that they have to get to the top of, but that's about it.
>>
>>51415986
There's a ton of good maps or you can just import your own, plus there's a few things you can do like dynamic lighting for each character's token (just requires you as DM setting what counts as a 'wall' for your purposes). It's a very good system for doing online with.
>>
>>51415436
>>51415451
>>51415464
>>51415480
>>51415504
Woke up to find this. Thank you so much my man it's a amazing.
>>
>>51411086
MYSTIC TAKE 3 FUCKING WHEN?
>>
>>51416090
Thanks, glad you like it!

Would you possibly be able to share your character's name? I'm curious because Harbrek, a cleric of Illmater, is my current character, and I never quite fleshed out his backstory. I think making your story canon for mine as well would be a lovely addition to his character.
>>
>>51414956
Here's what I got. I'm not entirely happy with it, but my options were limited in many cases. You can probably tell I was sorta reaching with several of them.

I kinda had this idea for Wild Magic that you would randomly roll for spells from a predetermined list. Like, maybe there are three different sets of two for each spell level, and you roll a d6 to determine what you get. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea.
>>
>>51416183
Never, Mearls hates psionics
>>
>>51416227
Andin Galerion.

I actually used the old "Races of Stone" book which has a guide to making dwarf first names. It's meaning is roughly Giant Smith. I figured if he was raised by dwarves he would have chosen a Dwarven name on adulthood. The surname is an Elven one I stole from somewhere.
>>
File: Ilmater.png (800KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ilmater.png
800KB, 1024x1024px
>>51416480
Thank you, my son. Best of luck on your travels, and may the gods guide your path.
>>
>>51416616
Thanks for all that. I've never had a real background on a character before so this is pretty exciting and awesome.
>>
>>51414541
Basic D&D is way better than anything that came after it.
>>
Is there a good way to make a barbarian X/Druid X for Raging Wildshapes?
>>
>>51416873
agreed, but there are retroclones better than basic.

Play ACKS™
>>
>>51413464
7 level 10's will tear through a Young Red. It needs to be an adult
>>
Just finished this one /tg/.

It's a rough draft, so something has to suck. Lay it on me.
>>
File: 1473928781349.gif (414KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1473928781349.gif
414KB, 480x238px
>>51417274
>>
File: Forge Cleric.webm (1MB, 350x224px) Image search: [Google]
Forge Cleric.webm
1MB, 350x224px
Is Forge Cleric good as a frontline fightman?
>>
>>51417274
Get out faggot,
>>
>>51417445
Alright I really like this but I've got 2 issues.

Fistfighter's momentum feels like the Temp HP should just last until it's used. It's not much so entering combat with 10 extra Hp won't unbalance it.

Impressive Techniques double STR mod instead of CHA is just wrong. You effectively become a much better at the Checks then anybody else. I would change it to Double Proficiency on Performance and your choice of Persuasion or Intimidate. The bard should always be better then you at it.
>>
>>51417565
>cast spirit guardians
>walk into melee
>dodge, impossible to hit with ridiculous AC
>get a paladin buddy to give you good saves

Pretty much, but I wouldn't call it 'melee fightain'.
>>
>>51417445
>Dodge as a bonus action
no fuck off

>can grapple as an attack
You can already do that?

Other then that not bad
>>
File: Bladesinger.jpg (401KB, 700x882px) Image search: [Google]
Bladesinger.jpg
401KB, 700x882px
Fighter with two levels in Bladesinger or Rogue with two levels in Bladesinger? Same race, same stat buy, which one do you think would be more fun if you wanted to Green-Flame Blade your way through a campaign?

Personally, I can't decide. Both seem cool, although I've got no experience of Rogues in play and I'm wondering how often a melee Rogue gets to roll all those sneak attack dice. A Fighter might be better for damage output, or worse by a wide margin.
>>
>>51417565
>>51417639
Don't forget spirit weapon and using the domain feature to get +AC and more damage per round
>>
>>51417740
Magic Initiate V. Human, Rogue the whole way
>>
>>51417778
Interesting idea, but what about the Bladesinger class feature and INT to AC and concentration?
>>
File: Svetlin Velinov.jpg (159KB, 1680x1129px) Image search: [Google]
Svetlin Velinov.jpg
159KB, 1680x1129px
>>51417636
>Fistfighter's momentum feels like the Temp HP should just last until it's used. It's not much so entering combat with 10 extra Hp won't unbalance it.

True, but it feels less like something you've got because of the heat of the moment if you can just carry it around with you for the rest of the day, y'know?

>Impressive Techniques double STR mod instead of CHA is just wrong. You effectively become a much better at the Checks then anybody else. I would change it to Double Proficiency on Performance and your choice of Persuasion or Intimidate. The bard should always be better then you at it.

Good point. It'd be a little weird to have a Brawler pick up a lute, strum a cord and flex real hard, and have that somehow be a better Performance check than a bard.
>>
>>51417445
>Fisticuffs
The wording there is a bit awkward. Maybe either
>Your unarmed strike gains the Light property
or
>When you take the Attack action on your turn using your unarmed strike, you can make one additional unarmed attack as a bonus action.

>Dodge and Weave
I don't get the "can't Dodge/Disengage while grappling" restriction, mechanically. It seems like an unnecessary limitation and you could easily cut it for the sake of concision and simplicity. I get how it would be strange to picture it, but the fighter is a superhuman warrior, so one with special training in unarmed combat could probably move nimbly while grappling another creature.

The bigger problem I see is that--see, the monk gets Martial Arts and Unarmored Defense at 1st level, so they're already there when you're making your character's build. For a fighter, you start out with weapon proficiencies, then you're supposed to switch over to fighting unarmed at 3rd level? A most of the Fighting Styles can't work with one or more of the archetype's starting features (Great Weapon Fighting, Archery, and Protection don't work with Fisticuffs; Defense doesn't work with Dodge and Weave, and whether or not Dueling works with Fisticuffs is unclear). Maybe you should go more for the 4e-style Brawler--weapon in one hand, the other hand free to grab and hit and toss enemies around.

Heck, that'd even sorta give Versatile weapons a raison d'etre. If you took GWF, you can use the weapon two-handed to attack, then switch back to one-handed when it's brawlering time. Just as a little bonus.

>Fracas
What >>51417703 said.

>Fists of Fury
So you can make two extra 1d10 + Strength modifier attacks as a bonus action. That's what the Monk can do but the Monk has to spend a ki point to do it. The Brawler does not. Change it.
>>
File: Roberto Marchesi.jpg (220KB, 640x1268px) Image search: [Google]
Roberto Marchesi.jpg
220KB, 640x1268px
>>51417703
>>Dodge as a bonus action
>no fuck off

Heh. What makes it so bad? Best I can tell, Dodge just gives attacks disadvantage against you, and gives you advantage on DEX saves.

This option also has an INSANE bonus action economy, so that bonus-dodge has serious competition.

>>can grapple as an attack
>You can already do that?

You're talking about Fracas, right?

You can replace one attack that's a component of the Attack action with a grapple, but using a reaction to make an opportunity attack does NOT grant you an Attack action. It only grants you an attack, and grapple specifically requires an Attack action. If an OA granted you an Attack action, you'd be able to have your OA benefit from Extra Attack features, as well.

It's bullshit, I know, but it's specifically there to prevent grapple being used in that way, far as I can tell. Read the grapple rules on page 195 of the PHB, and you'll see what I mean.
>>
File: Volos_Header_0.jpg (520KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
Volos_Header_0.jpg
520KB, 1920x600px
How is Volo's Guide? As ForeverDM for a group of friends I don't think will ever agree on playing anything besides D&D (and with some nice disposable income) I was considering investing in some of the extra books that aren't a module.

I already have Shackled City and I don't need any other adventures that will never get run.
>>
>>51413713

I think it's fine if you can find a way to get more attacks. Or if you get a magic crossbow and you've rolled really high for stats so you can pick up 2 feats relatively early.
>>
How terrifying is the idea of a mixture between an octopus and a spider?
I need a mad wizard experiment gone terribly right, and I need it to be Tiny and very maneuverable to inspire paranoia.
>>
>>51417928
Volo's guide is pretty good as lore for some of the races so you can always just have it for that.
>>
>>51418042
So... Basically a facehugger?
>>
File: ivan-vujovic-combined.jpg (1MB, 1920x2160px) Image search: [Google]
ivan-vujovic-combined.jpg
1MB, 1920x2160px
>>51417828
>Fisticuffs

I'd do this, but I want it specifically to synergize with the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style. If I wrote my way around that (like the monk does), the Fighting Style fighter feature would be significantly more useless.

Unarmed strikes are in a really weird spot in 5e rules, I unfortunately need to add some complication if they're going to work right. =/

>Dodge and Weave

Yeah, I get what you're saying there. The limitation really is there to keep it from feeling ridiculous at 3rd level, and you can always Dodge or Disengage as a regular, run-of-the-mill action.

I want having an arm around a dude to feel slightly limiting somehow, y'know?

>Fighting Styles

The intent is for Defense, Dueling, and Two-Weapon Fighting to work with this option. You can wear light armor and benefit from Defense, you can have a one-handed weapon and benefit from Dueling, and Fisticuffs makes the two-weapon fighting rules work for it, so that Two-Weapon Fighting becomes viable.

>Fracas

Attack rules on OA with grapple are weird. I explain here: >>51417908

>Fists of Fury

Sure, but monks get that early on, and don't have to wait for a capstone. The main trade this entire option makes is FoB vs. quality of life benefits like grapples and shoves.

Besides, as a high level monk you have up to 20 short-rest refreshing Ki points, and you gain 4 if you have 0 at the start of combat. You'll be FoBing literally every round you have an available bonus action, anyway.
>>
>>51417928
Some people hate that it doesn't balance its monster race options.

But I really like the new PC race options. I'd happily use them instead of the non-humans from the PHB. I'm a bit sick of Elves, Dwarves and Orcs.

The fluff is interesting too, although I'm too much of a powergamer to have read as much of that as I have of the character rules.
>>
>>51417928
It's a fantastic source of new player races and around 100 new stat blocks. The lore inside is also really nice, even for homebrew worlds if you're not playing in Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>51418067
Yeah, except less of the chestbursting and more hijacking the body Thing-style.
>>
File: Starro_005.jpg (67KB, 402x610px) Image search: [Google]
Starro_005.jpg
67KB, 402x610px
>>51418093
There's the thing from DC that's basically a mind control starfish thing, where it latches onto the person's face and body controls them.

Pic related.
>>
>>51417928
Volo's is fantastic, for everyone. It has the right amount of lore and mechanics to satisfy everyone's needs.

Note what's on the cover of the book.
>>
>>51418139
Yeah, well, that was one of my ideas, but it would have been too obvious. This thing burrows under the skin and turns the host into a shapeshifter under its control.
It's deliberately designed to be hard as fuck to kill and completely despicable. It's also the only of its kind and can't reproduce.
>>
>>51418184
Well, describe the creature as a very small version of a facehugger, only instead of chest bursting it embeds itself into the person's scalp right at the base of the neck (where the spine's located) and body controls them from there.
>>
>>51418184
>>51418219
that's some Stargate shit right there lemme tell ya
>>
I love to play with my older brother, he brings fantastic characters to the board. Honestly one of the best roleplayers I've ever known.

He also just fucking refuses to learn anything beyond simple mechanics. I'd love to see him play a caster, but the one time we did a one-shot he just.... didn't cast any spells because he hadn't even looked at them.

What's an easy way to deal with somebody who, far as I can tell, is plain uninterested in learning more complex mechanics?
>>
>>51417445
SnuSnu/10
>>
>>51418228
You're wrong on the virgin part and neither am I a newfriend. I'm telling you to quit shitting up the thread by saying "Get out faggot". You don't know who I am, or whether I'm a part of either, neither or both discords. Quit shitting up the /5eg/ thread, asshole.
>>
>>51418268
make him play a warlock
>>
>>51417812
Rogue has more synergy with GFB.

You can't use GFB with Fighter extra attack.
>>
>>51417740
>>51417812
> how often a melee rogue get to roll all sneak attack dice.

All the time. The class was balance around that idea.

Get an owl familiar if you're really worry about it.
>>
File: sosadsoverysad.gif (2MB, 295x211px) Image search: [Google]
sosadsoverysad.gif
2MB, 295x211px
>>51418079
>But I really like the new PC race options. I'd happily use them instead of the non-humans from the PHB. I'm a bit sick of Elves, Dwarves and Orcs.

>Ask my DM if I can use a race from Volo's
>He says no

I know it's because he doesn't want us fucking up the theme of CoS with too many weird races, but it still made me a sad. I kinda wanted to be a Lizardman Nature Cleric.
>>
>>51418079
> not fluffing elf as fox girl
> not fluffing dwarf as fat kobold
> not fluffing orc as minotaur
Do you even /pfg/
>>
OPs, delete all discords, get that filth out of here.
>>
>>51418219
It's, uh, not that, given that it moves around in the body. It's a naturally magical creature made by a CE person with 20 INT, extensive knowledge of dark magic, and way too many resources for the good of anyone else.
I'll take your advice as to what it turns out looking like, but it's basically what you get if you take the following creatures and fuse them into an unholy abomination:
>Intellect Devourer
>Spider
>Octopus
>Doppelganger/Oni (a shapeshifter's blood is the only thing that can hold this damn thing's genetic code together)
>>
>>51418396
Fuck ambiguous grammar, the person that made it is the one with the 20 INT, dark magic, and resources.
>>
>>51418387
might as well if it's just going to dissolve into these autistic shitflinging contests.

The fags that actually use them can then enjoy their sekret klub.
>>
>>51418373
Not him, but you need to be high-fived in the face with a chair, repeatedly and with horrific force.
>>
>>51418353
At least he allow other race anon. My DM only allow human for CoS.
>>
>>51418075
If you have AC = 10 + Dex + Con, there is effectively no reason to wear light armor. Constitution is the fighter's secondary ability. It's more or less always going to be +2 or more, and will usually be higher. Light armor is strictly worse than no armor with that feature. You are forced to choose between wearing light armor so you get your +1 from Defense, or wearing no armor, and getting better AC anyway. Best-case scenario, you wear light armor to start, then switch to wearing no armor once you have 16+ Constitution; at that point, your Fighting Style ceases to be of any use to you, except taking up the slot you could have filled with a different Fighting Style.

So I reiterate: Dodge and Weave does not work with the Defense fighting style.

The "almost but not actually unlimited FoB" IS the monk's capstone. If you're using ki for FoB, you can't use it for other stuff, and ki fuels all of the monk's class and tradition features, like, say, using Dodge or Disengage as a bonus action, which the Brawler can also do essentially for free.

Further, FoB compensates somewhat for the fact that the monk gets fewer attacks per turn than the fighter (and the paladin in ranger, in their cockeyed 11th-level ways). The fighter already gets four attacks per action. At 18th level, the monk can make two d10 attacks, then spend 6% of the resource which defines their class to make two more. The brawler can make three d10 attacks, then spend no resources whatsoever to make two more.

These are very, very clearly not balanced.
>>
>>51414956
>>51415077
I dug up my Draconic spell lists. They're partially based on the lair actions and regional effects tables.
>>
>>51418581
>They're partially based on the lair actions and regional effects tables
Ooh, that's a much more elegant solution. Yours are way better than mine.
>>
What do you all think of the Monster Hunter fighter archetype? What changes would you make to it?
>>
>>51418373
Shitting up the 4chan thread, Idiot, keep it out of 4chan is all I'm saying, you can keep your discord or not, I don't care just leave it off of 4chan.
>>
What are some practical uses for Keen Mind?

I'm making a VHuman Wizard and taking a Feat with +1INT since I don't like playing manlets (the only other +2 INT race), and Keen Mind happens to fit "muh backstory" pretty well.

Though Rock Gnome's abilities fit backstory a lot better. Would you let a player use a Rock Gnome except Medium, 30 speed, and no Darkvision?
>>
>>51418445
>So I reiterate: Dodge and Weave does not work with the Defense fighting style.

Hm, point taken.

I'd assume you'd at least get to 15, minimum, with Dodge and Weave. The reliance on STR will probably keep it there for lower levels.

I figure allowing Medium armor would keep the Defense fighting style more viable, but regardless of anything it'll probably be the weaker option, unless you're somehow getting a second fighting style from somewhere.

>At 18th level, the monk can make two d10 attacks, then spend 6% of the resource which defines their class to make two more. The brawler can make three d10 attacks, then spend no resources whatsoever to make two more.

>These are very, very clearly not balanced.

Point additionally taken. It'd be a great idea to not have five attacks for free vs. four attacks for resource, no matter how significant or not that resource is.

A better replacement could be a bigger, all-in style knockout punch. Something like:

>Knockout Punch. Starting at 17th level, you can replace one attack you make as part of the Attack action with a powerful finishing blow. Roll an unarmed strike attack against your target. On a hit, this attack deals 3d10 plus your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage. If this attack reduces your enemy to a number of hit points no greater than your fighter level, it automatically knocks them unconscious.
>Once you hit with this attack, you may not use it again until you take a short or long rest.

I'm flexible with the damage, there, but I'd be careful making it too much higher because of the unconscious effect thing.
>>
>>51418381
>Not fluffing elf as genetically degenerating virus monsters
>Not fluffing dwarves as psionic weirdos who worship a giant stone containing ancestral memories
>Not fluffing orc/goblins as evolutionary relatives of humans
am i pfg
>>
>>51418740
Because of the
>reduces your enemy to a number of hit points no greater than your fighter level
restriction, you could actually be a bit more flexible with it. If you took away the extra damage and make it spent on a use rather than just a hit, you could make it 1/turn instead of 1/rest.

Allowing Medium armor would be much better. Frankly there's no reason for there to be an armor type restriction. If they wanna go without armor, they can go without armor; if they don't, they can just stick with plate.
>>
>>51411293
The background where you can't stop stuffing cocks into your mouth and it makes the game less enjoyable for other players
>>
Fellow 5fags, I have a question and I evidently can't read well enough to find an answer for it myself. A cleric is joining our group and is trying to decide on which WIS-boosting feat to get, Resilient or Observant. Another member of the group says that taking Resilient under WIS would let him take a different save proficiency due to some "redundant proficiency" rule, and I'm pretty sure he's talking bullshit.

So I ask you, am I correct in assuming that doubling on the same save proficiency doesn't amount to anything, or am I not enough of a rules lawyer to find this magic "get a thing even if the text says you should be getting something else" rule?
>>
>>51417740
>Rogue with two levels in Bladesinger?

Arcane Trickster with two levels of bladesinger

Cash in on that Inteligence Armor Class, Ritual Spell Casting, Extra Movement, Extra Slots, Shield, and Advantage on Concentration Checks, with OoA Booming Blade for those times of clutch
>>
>>51419021
IIRC there's a rule along the lines of
>If your background gives you a skill you already know you can pick another one
but I don't think it mentions saving throws.
>>
>>51419030

Added onto that, you can put your AT spells down on your wizard spell book, replace one of them on your next level up, and then put that spell on the book again, and repeat on a level up
>>
File: travellingpugalist.jpg (413KB, 600x862px) Image search: [Google]
travellingpugalist.jpg
413KB, 600x862px
>>51418891
>If you took away the extra damage and make it spent on a use rather than just a hit, you could make it 1/turn instead of 1/rest.

Now there's an idea.

How about:

>Knockout Punch. Starting at 17th level, your strikes are so powerful, they can knock an enemy senseless. Once on each of your turns, if you reduce an enemy's hit points to an amount no greater than your fighter level with an unarmed strike, you may immediately render that creature unconscious.

Easy peasy, unless I'm forgetting something.

>If they wanna go without armor, they can go without armor; if they don't, they can just stick with plate.

There's not a whole lot of balance reason for it, strictly speaking, aside from keeping all the options about the same level of MAD and not seeing a knight in full-plate try and roll-dodge as a bonus action.

This isn't Skyrim, y'know.
>>
File: igualpascual.png (262KB, 512x381px) Image search: [Google]
igualpascual.png
262KB, 512x381px
I've got a decision to make, /tg/:
A player from my campaign es playing a Halfling Charlatan Cleric. We have played like 5 sessions and until now he hasn't been roleplaying anything that has to do with a Charlatan.

The player approached me by his own and told me about this problem. He asked me if I could let him change his background, some proficiencies (by extent of the background change, of course) and some small bits from his backstory. At first I said no problem; the plot thread that I have prepared for him would not change in anyway, and there is the precedent of a player in my group creating an entire new PC after the first one didn't quite clicked for him. I appreciate the fact that he is the one who talked to me about his RP not being as it should be.

But then he also asked me if he could change his CHA ability score for his INT one, because he wants to take the Sage background. Dunno, I think that it might be changing things too much, but I really like the role his character plays in the party (mechanicallywise and Roleplaying wise).
What would you do, guys?

TL;DR player wants to change his background to fit a roleplaying that suits him more confortable, but he wants to change the placement of some ability scores so he is not crippled.
>>
>>51418427
Harsh, but I can see it happening.
Our current party is a mishmash of non-humans (I went wood elf) because THAT GUY decided to make a half-orc who explicitly hates humans and wants to raise an army to wipe them out one day. Thanks, jackass. Fortunately he misses like half of our sessions so much of the time we just leave him out of the RP and only bring him in for combat.
>>
>>51418739
If there were little gnomish presence in the world, I'd let those changes no probs.
>>
>>51419059

Up till level 4 he's supposed to be allowed to change whatever the fuck he wants, in theory

If you really want to help him, but have him remain his stats, why not offer him an item that gives him advantage on some INT rolls?

It's a bum skill anyway
>>
>>51419059
No, tell him to live with his decisions. Stop coddling him like the Millennial you both are.
>>
>>51419059
What's the deal anyway? Changing from one dump to another, let the guy be happy.

>>51419150
>no fun allowed
>>
>>51419150
>grognard, the post
>>
>>51418427
>>51418353

My party got in an Elf, an Aasimar a half orc and me the human to run through CoS

The DM pretends like it's nothing whatsoever.

Unless we're face to face with an exotic race, like Dusk Elves, or "Caliban tribes" from Adventurer's league, then being an exotic race is worth a 30 charisma

Not easy when you're the bard.
>>
>>51419021
>>51419048
Yeah this is probably what they're thinking of. PHB 125, under proficiencies:

>If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skilI or tool) instead.

However it's not clear if that only applies to proficiencies from backgrounds, or all proficiencies.
>>
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/195699/Ravenloft-Bestiary--Monsters-of-the-Dread-Domain?sorttest=true&filters=0_45507_0_0_0_0_0_0

Does anyone have this PDF?
>>
>>51419172
Yeah, I guess you're right. If he was changing something like WIS, DEX or CON it would be an absolute NO. Thank you!

>>51419150
>God hates fun
>>
>>51419206
Two sources
Limited by nothing but the difference between skill and tool. Not other options granted by either of te sources, but by type.
>>
>>51419206
It says right here "skill or tool". Not saving throw.
>>
I'm trying to make a Feat for a super-brawler character, though really it could fit for any martial class.

Based it off the UA Dragonmarks.

>ULTIMATE GIGANIGGA (Name pending)
>Prerequisite- 18 STR

You're really fucking strong and that means you get mythic hero powers, because why the fuck not.

You gain the ability to innately cast spells and cantrips, using STR as your spellcasting ability. Once you cast a given spell this way, you must finish a long or short rest before you can cast it innately again. Required components are replaced with Somatic; you strike the ground for Earth Tremor or in the direction you cast Gust. Your swoleness confers the following benefits:

When you first take this feat, you learn the following spells: Gust, (You cannot use the "harmless sensory affect" with this ability), Earth Tremor cast at level 1.

At 5th level and higher, your muscles become more potent. Your Earth Tremor is cast as a level 3 spell.

At 9th level and higher, your massively hueg biceps power increases again. Your Earth Tremor is cast at level 5.

In restrospect this is actually pretty shitty because the only other appropriate spell for themes would be Earthquake, which is level fucking 8. I had planned to instead add more spells but there's not really anything that fits.
>>
>>51418643
bump
>>
>>51419259
>>51419281
Yeah that seems like the right way of reading it.

It's a straight up rules lawyer attempt, I'd probably deny it.
>>
>>51418643
I see no problem with it. Maybe a bit bland, but I think it's pretty nice if you take Martial Adept.
>>
>>51419335
I don't think it fits well with the rest of the game by itself.
Make some more stuff in this line of STR casting and put them together in an "extra options" sort of thing.
>>
/5eg/, I come to you with a rules question that's...hotly debated in my group.

>Guy wants to make a cleric
>Alright cool
>Wants to be a Variant Human and take the Resilient Feat for a +1 to WIS and proficiency in WIS saving throws
>Clerics already get proficiency in WIS saving throws
>Book says proficiencies that are doubled up can be substituted with a different proficiency of the same type
>Another player insists it's just for skill and tool proficiencies

It just seems dumb to me that a feat that would always be used for one of your class' main stats (which also inform your saving throws) would work like this.
>>
>>51419051
Rolling in Full Plate is a not any more difficult than any other armor.
>>
>>51419441
But it will exhaust you really fuckin fast.
>>
>>51419431
If he already has proficiency in a saving throw, you shouldn't be able to take resilient for it or that ability score.
>>
>>51419431
It's only a skill or tool/language from your background. Why does he want to have resilient (wis) if he's already got proficiency in wisdom saves? That makes no goddamn sense.
>>
>>51419485
Pretty sure getting proficiency in another state for saving throws was the whole purpos
>>
>>51419485
He is asking if he can take +1 WIS and proficiency in a different saving throw.

I don't see much of an issue with it personally.
>>
>>51419465
as will other armors. Cloth, "leather", and the rest are bulkier and heavier than people imagine. The only difference is going to be between armor vs no armor
>>
>>51419051
https://youtu.be/5hlIUrd7d1Q?t=94

>>51419465
Not an argument. Fights end up really quickly.
>>
>>51419506
>Take +1 WIS, +1 DEX* through Variant human
>At level 4 take Resilient DEX*
>*Replace DEX with whatever fucking stat you really want

Problem solved
>>
>>51419516
You sneaky, rules lawyering motherfucker
Be honest, are you doing this just for kicks/to 'win' over me?
>>
>>51419431
>>51419497
I only see that rule on background page, which specifically call out for "tool or skill".

> If a character would gain the same proticiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proticiency of the same kind (skilI or tool) instead.

Is there a different source for this?
>>
>>51419554
Wait, are you the other guy's fucking player who want to double down resilient onto a saving throw you already have or are you the guy asking the question for help ruling on his fucking player?
>>
>>51419431
> feat that always be used for one of your class main stats

No. It isn't a free +1 stat and one saving throw of your choice. Otherwise it would have been written that way from the start.
>>
Fuck this shit
It's not in the rules, gigantic faggot. You can ask "hey can I get this +1 in x instead of in y" but not have rules support in this.
>>
File: armorandasixpack.jpg (148KB, 594x1200px) Image search: [Google]
armorandasixpack.jpg
148KB, 594x1200px
>>51419525

Whelp, never thought I'd see that. Still can't see Disengaging or Dodging as a bonus action in full plate, though. Looks like what would be a full action, to me.
>>
>>51419554
No, I was looking for an answer to a damn question. I don't want hard feelings OOC just because one of us was wrong or there's a question we still didn't have an answer to.
>>
What are your favorite multiclasses?
>>
>>51419682
Fighter/Rogue.

It's not the best one in the world but it was my first 2e character and still love it.
>>
>>51419648
I don't want dodge as a bonus action as well, but because it's too strong. Way too strong.
And that in the video is an average guy, not a high-STR adventurer, so we could expect our characters to make a more fluid movement. Just thought I would do plate guys some credit in the agility field.
>>
>>51419648
>Monk or Rogue
>wear full plate
>can Disengage and Dodge no problem
>>
File: we co-op now.jpg (63KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
we co-op now.jpg
63KB, 500x338px
If I'm going to be one half of a two-person party, what should I roll to cover for our lack of manpower?
>>
>>51419682
Warlock/Paladin. I love having constant smites after a short rest.
>>
>>51419682
Sorc/Lockadin
Sorlock
EK/AT+Wiz
Roguelock

Whatever allows you better access to your class abilities I guess. The meme ones are fun too, like Nuclear Ghandi/Druid.
>>
>>51419755
I personally would suggest either Ranger, Cleric, or maybe even Bard, healers that can also lay a bit of beats and handle a bit out of combat too.
>>
>>51419755
Whatever gish you want. Versatility is king.
>>
How do you build your Lockadins?
>>
>>51419718
Rogues aren't dodging as a bonus action, and Monks are expending a resource to do it.
>>
>>51419652
The answer is pretty clear. You can't do it.
If your DM foolishly allow it then, you should find a way to be passive aggressive and exploit it.

Like getting Lightly armored feat when you already have light armor proficiency and move it to "Heavy armor proficiency"
>>
File: Phroilan-Gardner.jpg (72KB, 699x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Phroilan-Gardner.jpg
72KB, 699x1122px
>>51419716
Seems like most people have a problem with the Dodge, so I'll just pair it down to Disengage only next draft unless I get a surprising outcry in the opposite direction.

Probably won't, though.
>>
Dunno if this would be of any use to anyone but have a random character generator. Green is if you're somehow stuck with only the Basic rules, Orange if using the PHB, Red/Yellow if you're allowed uncommon races, Elemental Evil, and Volo's Guide.
>>
>>51419788
Vengeance Pally 2, Undying Light Lock 5 (Tome for Shillelagh), Pally most the rest of the way. At 20 I'd want to look like 12 Pally/8 Lock, but that's just me.
>>
Since I've never actually played a Multiclass character I've decided to try it out. I'm stuck between to options.

Ranger and Barbarian. I'd love if there was any way to actually get this to work but I really doubt it's possible.

Ranger and Monk. I figure putting most levels into monk and just dipping ranger for Hunters Mark could boost my damage, only issue is Bonus Actions Economy.

Are either of these any good?
>>
File: 1464694739712.png (9KB, 444x450px) Image search: [Google]
1464694739712.png
9KB, 444x450px
>>51415007
This sounds fun but busted. How does it work out for you?
>>
>>51416311
You want to keep it to only first party shit or would you be fine with adding third party stuff?
Cause the Book of Lost Spells from Necromancer games has some pretty decent shit, especially for the dragons.
>>
Where's bard&nobles guy? Kind miss his shilling already
>>
>>51420268
Considering every Sorcerer takes the same 2-3 and the rest are pretty useless I can't see how this would be a problem.
>oh no the shittiest arcane caster can use his gimmick
>>
>>51420503
Guess you're right. Was considering combining your rule with the "Sorcerers get access to the spell point variant rule in the DMG" for future games
>>
>>51414642
I know I'm super late to respond to this, but fuck DMs that grant all knowledge to players. Sure, the character probably knows its gonna be next to impossible, just by looking, but there's an off chance things aren't what they seem.
Letting a player roll lets you not tell players when things aren't obvious, the wall could be illusory. If the entire wall isn't there, any attempt to climb will let you realize that, but there's also the chance that its actually much rougher than it appears, which, while difficult to climb, might be doable.
Depending on the action, it can also give more or less information regarding the attempt. An extremely low climb check might result in the character thinking there is no possible way anyone could climb it, while a higher check might let them realize that, if they had a grappling hook they might get somewhere.
>>
>>51420571
Oh, I'm not him, I'm just saying. As for SP, I don't know why it isn't the default for Sorcerers. I've been playing a Mystic myself and it's a much nicer system.
>>
File: 1426563156652.png (2MB, 755x977px) Image search: [Google]
1426563156652.png
2MB, 755x977px
My DM let me take a pixie as my chainlock familiar at level 3

what are the best uses and shenanigans?
what are the best things to polymorph my partymembers into? thats any CR3 or below beast right now, will soon be level 4, so CR 4 beasts will unlock then too.
>>
>>51420612
This makes me think.

What are the better variant rules found in the DMG? Which ones do you guys use at your tables?
>>
>>51420625
So besides using a Pixie, the DM also lets you use your level, not it's CR, in order to calculate the polymorph. How hard are you sucking him off?
>>
>>51420681
Polymorph uses the target's CR or level to determine the available forms, not the caster's.
>>
Has anyone tried the Angry GM's alternative Inspiration rules? They sound better than the standard rules (literally not a single player has ever used their Inspiration), so I'm going to give it a shot next session.

Everyone starts the session with Inspiration. You can use Inspiration to gain Advantage on any roll, anyone else' roll (if you're in a position to help), or impose Disadvantage on an enemy roll-- as long as you can tie it back to one of your Traits or Bonds. You can regain Inspiration by Taking a Setback (taking Disadvantage on a roll related to one of your Traits or Bonds), OR roleplaying your Flaw.
>>
>>51420747
>theangrygm
>>
>>51420216
Why do people love cha-shillelagh so much? If you don't have strength then wearing heavy armor sucks, and if you don't have dex then wearing light armor isn't even viable. If you went for 15 strength to wear full plate anyway it doesn't seem like there's much reason to stop.
>>
>>51420747
Eventually i'm just going to teach my players M&M hero points and make inspiration that instead.
>>51420763
Oh get over it. Prose is annoying but ideas are fine.
>>
>>51420657
I like the climb on large monsters rules, but maybe that's just because I played Dragon's Dogma. Also marking is pretty cool.
>>
>>51420007
Where is the gnome
>>
>>51420681
I mean isnt that just how polymorph works?

>can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s (or the target’s level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating).

its based on the target, not the caster, and PCs have levels, not CRs.
>>
>>51420763

Just once I'd like to ask a question about D&D without kicking some dumb fucking nest. I don't know what his rep is and don't

fucking

care

pretend I called it the Billy Dickfuck inspiration system and tell me what you think
>>
>>51420817
>Billy Dickfuck
>>
File: D20_Modern_Book_Cover.jpg (44KB, 340x475px) Image search: [Google]
D20_Modern_Book_Cover.jpg
44KB, 340x475px
Random question, but do you think Wizards would ever do something like this again? Especially since Paizo announced Starfinder.

I think I'd be cool to make a 5e Modern, or something similar.

(Until then, I'd just have to work with homebrew)
>>
>>51420767
-10 movement speed doesn't matter when you can conjure a mount.

Also only need 2 ASI to max both attack and casting stat, mean you are free to pick up fun feats.
>>
>>51420861
Not anytime soon. Wizard seems apt on keeping the team small and focused. There are some third party products like Ultramodern5 for stuff like that already, the one is in the Mega even.

Though who knows? They might surprise us in the next year or two.
>>
>>51420883
I never thought horses were all too reliable, but I guess you might have an extra feat for mounted combatant or something?
>>
>>51420817
It is entirely against the design intent of inspiration, although whether that's good or bad is up to you.
I also dislike that it heavily promotes metagaming and rewards players in important situations when they choose to do worse in an unimportant one. No player ever would try and get their point back during a critical moment, which is when it would get used positively.
>>
>>51420878
Except there's no discussion of 5E going on in there so shut the fuck up.
>>
>>51420907
Or even just putting a feat into Mobile to get around the speed penalty and gain some nifty bonuses for moving around in combat.
>>
>>51421004
So magical realm discussion. real nice.
>>
>>51417407
>Young red dragon confronted by PCs.
>I need [to be] an adult.
>>
>>51420809
Shit, I knew I forgot something.
>>
>>51420925
>>51421004
Are you cunts just going to keep doing this forever?
>>
>>51420907
Depend on your horse.

Even the normal horse work like rogue's cunning action for you (disengage at 60ft speed).

Find Steed can get you a higher tier beast if your DM allow it. Warlock Paladin (or Bard) can also buff it up with Armor of Agathys.

Then there is phantom steed which is a horse on drug. 100ft speed and even if it run out of hp, you can still ride it for 1 more minute.
>>
>>51421037
At this rate it's not clear if it's someone from the ultracancer offshoot Discord or someone falseflagging them. The former is sad, the latter is funny.
>>
>>51421077
Intent isn't relevant to how humor is perceived, so its either funny or not. Mocking the pathecticness of either can be funny in and of itself though.
>>
>>51421077
There is no "ultracancer offshoot." The very idea of a fa/tg/uy populated discord is cancerous. The fact that we now have 2 of them just for this thread is just that cancer metastisizing.
>>
>>51420793
I once had a rogue in my group that had expertise in athletics and would take every opportunity to climb on shit for free sneak attacks. He was a thief too, so he could climb at full speed.
>>
>>51421143
Wasn't the discord removed from the OP at one point? Did they put it back?
>>
So one of my party members just was turned by a vampire. I'm helping the DM decide how things play out, the player has said he wants to keep playing the character, even if his alignment shifts, as long as he can keep most of his personality, albeit skewed.

What pros and cons would be recommended to slap onto the PC, and what would you recommend for his Wild Shape powers, as he is a moon druid. Level 12 if you find that relevant.

My first thought was to switch him to circle of twilight, and refluff it as harnessing the negative energy of undeath, rather than hunting it down, but the player wanted to keep viable combat wild shapes.

I'm thinking we limit the specific forms to be "creatures of the night" but buff up the options to make them viable across various CRs and movement options, although swimming may be out.
>>
>>51421170
We keep removing it, shitwits keep adding it back in, especially with this "my dick is less cancerous than yours" contest going on right now.
>>
>>51421222
>>51421222
>>51421222
>>
Now with more Gnome. To compromise I split Human and Variant Human into separate entries, but you can just read them both as Variant Human if you prefer it that way.
>>
>>51421182
He becomes an NPC under the DM's control and can only be reverted via wish or if he is killed and brought back to life
>>
>>51421229
And you left the fucking discord in.
>>
>>51421265
Who cares?
>>
>>51421254
What an unhelpful, and bad for the game suggestion.
>>
>>51421276
Most of us that want nothing to do with the discord.
>>
>>51421280
It simply sidesteps all the trouble of having a vampire PC. Have fun with the vampire druid roflstomping everything and nobody having any fun
VS
Either a quest to restore your friend to life or fighting against a powerful new adversary
>>
>>51421276
It's promoting shitposters anon, it lowers the quality of the threads.
>>
>>51421229
We're on page 6 you shit and remove the fucking discord.
>>
>>51421313
Ah, I only joined for the Gurps discord server, as there are lots of very helpful people in there.
>>51421319
It didn't start until recently though, i wonder what started it?
>>
>>51420612
Tradition mostly, and the fact that it would probably be a source of confusion regarding multiclassing. The sorcerer is virtually already on a mucky version of the spell point system, but actually telling that to newbies ends up being another layer of perceived complexity for them.
>>
>>51420767
>>51420883
>>51420940
Feats basically. Its the spread I like for maximum bullshit (Tunnel Fighter, PAM, Cha-Shillelagh, Improved Divine Smite, Lock spellslots/invocations, w/e).

I know a bunch of other people who like 18 Pal/ 2 Lock and some other spreads, and depending on how many levels I expect to get I might choose the same. It really just depends on what is valuable.
>>
>>51421356
I would explain it, but I don't want to start another retarded argument.
>>
>>51421280
Switch him to zendikar vampire race or revenant race. Dont give him special snowflake vampire power to add onto his character.
>>
>>51421356
Who fucking cares who started it, it's become cancerous and you're promoting that cancer, and you're being a fucking shit starting a new thread when we're on page 6.
>>
>>51421386
That's fine, i don't really care why.
>>51421408
I didn't start the fucking thread number one, I hate the discord shilling and shitposting as much as you do see
>>51418291 and >>51417608
>>
>>51421463
There needs to be a way to punch them through the monitor.
>>
>>51418632
Thank you, I was having a lot of trouble with the lists too until that idea struck me.
>>
>>51421490
yes there does.
>>
>>51421535
The only thing would be swapping out some of the spells to make the lists sorcerer-appropriate instead of warlock-appropriate.
>>
Just leveled up. Should I go totem barbarian 6 or Fighter 1?
>>
>>51423645
Barbarian 6.
>>
>>51423660
I'm gonna get Fighter 3 or 4 at some point. Any suggestions on when?
>>
>>51423743
If you're gonna go that far in, now might actually be the time.
>>
>>51423788
Gotta get that action surge. Might as well get the subclass for an offensive upgrade and an ASI just cause it's right around the corner.
>>
>>51423645
Depends upon what your Barbarian archetype is. Either way I would probably go Barbarian 6, then go Fighter 3-4, then back to Barbarian.
Thread posts: 359
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.