[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Nonhuman Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 389
Thread images: 36

File: 1472855678775.jpg (215KB, 1280x880px) Image search: [Google]
1472855678775.jpg
215KB, 1280x880px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51390603

What's your favorite nonhuman race to play? What's your favorite part of it?
>>
>>51398008
>What's your favorite nonhuman race to play? What's your favorite part of it?
Elfyboots because while the rest of the party is sleeping I can play pranks on them
>>
>>51398040
This is why people hate elves, y'know. Damn sexy elves.
>>
Can a spell with a verbal component be successfully cast underwater?
>>
>>51398008
Dwarf. Hammers and Axes and Ale, oh my.
>>
>>51398070
By RAW and RAI: no.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/21/can-i-cast-underwater/

However as a note, you can't hold your breath if you perform verbal components.
>>
>>51398116
>>51398070
Sorry shit, the answer should be "yes, they can be cast underwater," but you can't hold your breath if you do.
>>
>>51398145
So, do you drown when you cast a spell?
>>
>>51398008
Dwarf. They're strong, stout, bearded and have incredible attention to detail. Craftsmanship and creativity matter to them.

Caveat: No Celtic or Scandinavian accents.I only play dwarves with a thick Russian accent because.

I also like to play with dwarven fastidiousness. My cleric's order believes that making the world more permanent is the ultimate virtue. Building things that last longer than mountains, stopping rampant wild growth. Ideally, time would just stop. This makes some things difficult, though. Healing can be considered heretical and no spells with material components are allowed. Additionally, he will put out ANY fire that he can see because they are always shortlived and consume fuel, changing things permanently.

He has very low charisma.
>>
>>51398206
Or start suffocating (Con mod rounds minimum 1) at least. It's one of the areas 5e's rules just kind of gloss over.
>>
>>51398008
Kind of a toss up between kobolds and gnomes. Just clever creatures who are good with their hands and can fuck up enemies six ways from Sunday when given prep time.
>>
We don't need two threads:
>>51398006
>>51398006
>>51398006
>>51398006
>>51398006
>>
Want to put players through a series of tests to win MacGuffin. 6 tests, one each on STR, CON, DEX, INT, WIS & CHA. Got the basic ideas for the first 3, and CHA. What are some good tests of INT and WIS? Preferably that can be confined to a room.
>>
>>51398315
This one has more posts.
>>
>>51398320
Int should be a test of memory, Wis should be a test of awareness.

Int could be one of those simple card-matching games, maybe with stone cards instead.

Wis could be to notice something out of place, either in a sentence or in a picture.
>>
>>51398008
Who's got more cute art of monster races and their pets? Just stuff that shows culture instead of 'squishy thing that sometimes gets violated via blade'
>>
Reposting here because this thread seems to be the more active one.

Beyond flavour text, how can I go about differentiating 53 deities with 5e's handful of domains? Is there still any reason for deities to have favoured weapons? Have there been any domains introduced in UA's that I may have missed?
>>
>>51398395
One of the only things I've seen for sure that a deity's favored weapon should come into play with is Spiritual Weapon for Clerics. It flavor texts the spiritual weapon to be the deity's weapon, even if it's the same damage dice. As far as differentiating... good luck? There's probably a lore book in the master books list but I haven't seen anything except the small section in the Core manual
>>
>>51398395
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Cleric,

UA has introduced Forge, Grave, and Protection. There's also Arcana in SCAG, and City in another UA but that doesn't fit.

Favored weapon would probably work fine to come back, but might be better as an RP thing. Say the cleric gets to a high enough level, their deity blesses them with a magical version of that weapon.

As for differentiating them... Honestly, fitting them into the existing domains is easier than trying to make different ones for all of them. That's a lot of deities, too many to reasonably homebrew stuff for.
>>
>>51398008
>kobold with bat ears and nose
That's cute
>>
Hoping this is the surviving general at the end of this /5eg/ division.

How would you deal with a Warlock actively fighting his patron? If it were flavour I'd say take away the powers, but given it's a full class...
>>
>>51398470
I definitely never planned a unique domain for each god, there's a lot of overlap, but I was worried that the 7 or so domains would mean there'd be a great deal of same-suggested domain deities, even if every god was given 2 or 3.

Thanks for the link and info, this should help out a lot.
>>
>>51398320
Riddle contests, obviously
>>
>>51398600
Warlocks gain magical secrets from their patron. It's not a cleric-deity or paladin-oath connection. Say they either have to find a new patron or that they can't take any levels in warlock anymore.
>>
>>51398648
"find a new patron"
You don't have a direct number to GOO/Fiends/Fey etc.
>>
What should a mutation of a long prehensile tongue give my player?
>>
>>51398674
Well they better find one, then.
>>
>>51398600
Depends on the patron and the nature of the pact. If it's a literal contract, then surely it describes some consequences of the warlock failing to hold up his end of the agreement, whatever that is. If it's just drawing power from a Great Old One or something else that the patron isn't even aware of, then he could get away with opposing his patron's interests.
>>
>>51398682
Weird looks in public
>>
>>51398682
A vore fetish.

But in all seriousness: ability to hold an item while still holding their shield/sword? Just look at the rules for prehensile tail from 3.5. I think it was ability to hold a 2 lb or less object and bring it to the hand as a bonus action.
>>
>>51398648
>>51398697
It's sort of a "I'll let you return to life this time, but when you die next, your soul belongs to me, and in the meantime, you serve me alone." sorta vibe.

Except the Warlock isn't too happy about this, so while he likes the power, he also wants to get rid of the patron by whatever means.
>>
File: spriteknight.jpg (536KB, 724x851px) Image search: [Google]
spriteknight.jpg
536KB, 724x851px
>>51398008
My default preference is for human characters and I don't play other races unless them being of a different race is necessary to the concept and personality of the character.
A tiefling dedicated to a good aligned god who wants to become famous so they can reduce prejudice against tieflings through word of their good deeds is very different from a human who is trying to reduce prejudice against tieflings because they're a faggot that just got out of university.
A character that is supposed to be deranged or crazy in some way would just be treated like a deranged crazy person if they were human, but Lizardfolk can act like that and be treated like they're expected to be like that and nobody is surprised.
>>
>>51398682
The ability to interact with or hold an object even with both hands full, but they can't talk or cast spells with somatic components when they do this.

And nip them trying to wield a shield in their tongue in the bud, of course. The taste bud.
>>
>>51398220
Material components aren't consumed unlesss spell descriptions say that they are.
>>
File: alligator man.jpg (74KB, 564x657px) Image search: [Google]
alligator man.jpg
74KB, 564x657px
>>51398008
foreverDM so I never get to play, if I ever get the chance I'd love to build an alligator man character. no weapons, heavy armor, mainly centered around throwing miscellaneous objects, grappling, biting->shaking->throwing things, maybe splash him with some batman casting geared towards enhancing close-quarters combat. total retard outside of combat that's super aggro, sometimes needs to be told that a fight is happening to engage in it while just chillin' with my mouth open and a glazed look. that's at least one idea for dozens of characters I'll never get to play.
>>
File: 14724784.png (168KB, 627x207px) Image search: [Google]
14724784.png
168KB, 627x207px
>>51398221
Yeah, kind of notice that when reading the description of pic related.
>Need to be underwater to activate
>But you have to also speak a command word to activate
>>
Is it a good idea to have your players chase something through a dungeon?
>>
>>51402031
Not by default, no. What kind of ideas do you have for it?
>>
>>51402535
The dungeon is essentially a Goblin Castle, filled with gimmicky fights, from Toad Cultists, Goblin Junkies, a fight in a Kitchen with strange ingredients, interrupting a Goblin teaparty etc.

One reason the party is there is to rescue an NPC who is in the prison in one of the towers. The prison his guarded by two Hobgoblin Guards and a weedy ass goblin named Keykey, because she has the ring of keys around her neck.

Keykey is like a regular goblin except she has no attacks, 1 HP, and maybe a bit higher AC?

When combat breaks out, Keykey hides until she can run, or Disengages and bolts out the door. She runs to the next room, warns whatever is there the PCs are coming, and hides in that room.

It essentially becomes a weird hide and go seek game with a weak ass skittery goblin.

The jail door can also be picked or broken with a good enough check so it becomes a silly optional thing instead of something necessary to do.
>>
>>51402669
Seems like fun. A crafty party could make an easy time of it but a strong-headed party will face some good challenges.
>>
>>51402818
I haven't decided if I should give her a higher AC so she's a bit more slippery than most goblins.
>>
>>51402922
Higher AC, but slightly more than 1 HP.
1 HP could wind up having anyone with a long range attack ending this idea you have before it even starts.
>>
>>51402922
I would just use the generic goblin stat block. They're pretty slippery as-is.

Or use the Goblin Boss one since then Keykey can shift other goblins to take shots she might otherwise take.
>>
>>51402936
5 HP, 15 AC?

>>51402961
I could do that, I'd have to drop the HP lower though just to make her really pathetic and rely on other goblins to survive.

I've already got two Goblin Bosses in the Castle. One for the King with a Nilbog fool, the other that's like a Captain of the Guard that rides a human in a riding harness.
>>
>>51403020
>5 HP, 15 AC?
Maybe 8-10 HP?
That way they'd have to corner Keykey, rather than hope their potshots hit.
Still 5 is probably more than enough.
It is up to you, after all.
>>
>>51403020
Give them flat disadvantage to hit her at pretty much all times, she is flighty and hard to hit, constantly weaving and dogding which is why they gave her the keys.

Disdavantage to hit with a normal goblin stat line may give her a decent chance to actually escape the first room alive.
>>
Are there any other spells or abilities like Spirit Guardians or Guardian of Faith?
>>
>>51403106
Yeah I guess that's the easiest way to do it. though making her a Goblin Boss would just be evil
>>
>>51403111
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound?
What effect are you looking for exactly?
>>
I want to set up a massive naval battle between two pirate companies (both with corporate backing), but I have no idea how that works. How do I do it?

The idea being my players will pick one side, or the other, or duck out entirely.
>>
>>51403293
Spells a priest could use to skirt around directly harming foes, preferably by summoning holy ghosts to do the dirty work.
Seems like the only other option would be the ancestral barbarian UA but that's a lot of levels for not a lot of payoff
>>
>>51403498
Banishment (4)
Insect Plague (5)
Blade Barrier (6)
Planar Ally (6)
Conjure Celestial (7)
Those can be fluffed fairly easily into being holy ghosts/ancestral spirits/etc
>>
PC casts feather fall, falls 40 ft and lands safely. Outside of a dash, does he have movement left?
>>
>>51404021
Technically falling isn't a type of movement, just something that happens. However, the fact that it's "60 feet per round" causes problems. If it happens over the course of the round, then you wouldn't hit the ground til the very end. If it happens at the very beginning, you have your entire turn and speed to work with. If it happens at the end, you basically lose your turn in the air.

I'd be inclined to make it happen at the beginning of their turn and let them take their full turn, to keep combat moving.
>>
A bit of a broad question but in my next campaign I've decided to play a cleric again.

I normally dislike elves because it feels weird playing a very magical creature that lives for a such a long time but I've decided to for once. I'd like to be Strength or Wisdom based because we already have two Dexterity characters. Can anyone give me an idea for a Wood Elf cleric that isn't too... Elfy?
>>
>>51403613
Thanks, my man. That helps a lot.
>>
Im running a campaign where, in the main quest, the bad guys are a former adventuring party that went into politics. All of them are over 60 years old and, before taking over the country, they were world famous adventurers and some of the best of the vest. (Party is a wizard, a necromancer, a sorcerer, a rogue, a fightin' bard and a barbarian)

What level would be good to set them? The only one that is solid is the necromancer being a juiced up lich, but where the other should fall is giving me trouble. I don't know if it's fair to the players make all of then level 20 with great magic items, even if that might be more realistic to the scenario.
>>
>>51404306
I'd check out VGM. Its appendix has a ton of high-CR NPC stat blocks. Those could be a good place to start.
>>
>>51404138
What domain/God would you be/worship?
>>
>>51404358
I haven't really looked at the Elven gods but I could always look at other pantheons and work it in.

I was thinking either Forge, Light or Tempest (That's the storm one right?). I'm not really set on any and just want an interesting character to mix up my usual Dwarf Clerics and Human Rangers.
>>
How would you rule a character attacking himself?

For context: A mystic using Broken Will on an enemy. Then the enemy use action to attack himself on his turn.

Would it be normal damage?
>>
>>51404452
How would he be attacking himself?
A hammer/mace would probably be difficult to do major damage with, so pretty low.
If they're using a sword, probably normal damage.
If they're using a dagger though? Better believe that's some high ass damage from jamming it right into an organ.
>>
File: soul_sacrifice_conceptart_IZsMS.jpg (129KB, 563x950px) Image search: [Google]
soul_sacrifice_conceptart_IZsMS.jpg
129KB, 563x950px
Would I be an edgelord if I played a warlock like a Sith? It seems like a natural way to play the character since it is a dark power taught through a sinister master to a power-hungry apprentice. If wizards are Jedi, then warlocks would be the Sith.
>>
Anyone here see traits/flaws homebrew stuff as of yet?
>>
>>51404500
Totally, if you can work it into the setting have it be a direct Jedi/Sith parallel if you want.
>>
>>51404500
>Would I be an edgelord if I played a warlock like a Sith?
If it's just "lol i kill u" then yes, if you actually play it like a proper Sith, then not at all.

I'd welcome something like this in my games.
Good idea.
>>
My character was kicked out of his thieves guild or otherwise couldn't return to that life.

It's likely he set something on fire that he shouldn't have.

Any suggestions on what that might have been?
>>
>>51404447
I'm pretty sure there's Elven gods of Knowledge, Light, and Tempest. Knowledge and Tempest are Wis/Dex (Medium only), Tempest is awesome for wading into combat since you clear so well, Forge is like Artificer.

If you're looking for Anti-Elf then heavy armor Tempest. Use your longsword proficiency.

>>51404734
>I want this evidence gone
>Got it boss
Mistakes were made.
>>
5eg, can you do me a solid?
I'm working late the next couple days and have a game on saturday. Can you stat up Teddy Roosevelt as a challenging encounter for a party of 6th level PCs? Just giving build advice is fine too.
I'm thinking a ranger and crossbows, since I don't think there are gun rules. I haven't looked into if they're actually non-shit in this edition.
>>
>>51404828
Do your own damn session prep, and while you're at it, have better ideas.
>>
>>51404785
>>I want this evidence gone
>>Got it boss
>Mistakes were made.

That's basically the route I was thinking. But trying to think of more concrete circumstances.
>>
>>51404828
> Using PC stat to build enemy
Found your problem
>>
>>51404855
Maybe the Guard was in the guild's pocket, maybe the evidence was in the home of a wealthy patron, ect. Did you fuck it up, or did someone throw you to the wolves?

What's your usual excuse when people ask what happened?
>>
>>51404880
I'm forever GM and was looking forward to the idea of getting to whip something up until I was told I'm doing installs tonight and tomorrow.

I mean, I'm not above just going "fuck it, he does 3d8+3 damage, 15 AC, 75 HP", but I assume there's more to it than that, and I've historically used lots of little gribblies rather than a single opponent, so I'm not sure how this will go if it goes hot.
>>
>>51404828
Use champion stat in volo. It's CR9. Fluff light crossbow and gun. Problem solve.
>>
>>51404913
That works pretty well, actually. Thank you, you're the best.
>>
>>51398008
https://discord.gg/vDFsRg2
This is your new discord for the night.
It's a level 20 Monk, just like me.
Now level yourselves up and get in faggots.
>>
>>51404974
Fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>51404910
Monster creation rule is on DMG pg.274-275.

Start from the suggesting line on the table and adjust its defensive and offensive value up and down appropriately.

If you want him to be CR8, he should be doing ~56 damage. So that could be 3d10+2 * 3 times or something. If you want him to hit harder then drop his defense down
>>
>>51399521
You realize that the air bubble comes from your lungs? This is a joke item
>>
File: wallpaper-2878259.jpg (341KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-2878259.jpg
341KB, 1600x900px
>>51404447
For tempest you could be a wood elf born into poverty stricken, elven slum in a coastal city. You never had much growing up, but your sense of community was strong. With no trees or forests in sight, your internal affinity towards nature and the wilds drew you to the sea, as it had for many of your elven brethren. You become a sailor, and more importantly, a cleric in the name of Deep Sashelas in order to rejoice in your love for the sea, and protect your crew and the sea from numerous dangers. Adept at climbing the rigging and having superb perception, you fill the role of lookout/navigator, in addition to your holy and protective duties.

Here is DS's dogma: Swim the great currents and the shallow seas. Exult in the everchanging beauty and life of the bounteous Undersea. Revel in the joy of creation and increase its myriad aspects. Seek not to hold that which is everchanging, but instead love the change itself. Seek out fellow swimmers who honor the ways of the Lord of the Undersea, and ally with them against those who see only the darkness of the deeps. Follow the way of the dolphin. Promote knowledge and use of the sea by reasonable folk, and fight those who would taint or deplete its beauty and bounty.

I think this is solid background for an elf cleric that isn't the stereotypical innawoods bitchboy. Tempest domain gets you heavy armor and martial weapon prof, so you don't need dex for AC and can use any weapon your little elven heart desires. Also lightning and thunder spells are kickass imo.

If you like what you read but aren't quite sold on tempest, I could think up backgrounds for forge or light domains too.
>>
>>51405033
>>51404910
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html#

This might help.
>>
>>51404994
You sound like you're genuinely jealous of the better discord. Who are you, Homu? The RedPilled I cucked in front of the whole chat?
>>
>>51404734
you pulled a con game that involved telling a bunch of people in a crowded tavern that there was a plague outbreak so you and your mates could loot the place.

Loot you did, but the guards came swiftly and quarantined the neighborhood, burning down several buildings including the tavern.

That wouldn't have been so bad, but the tavern owner was paying protection to the big bad mafia boss in town. Your boss has fealty to him. Nobody knows you were responsible besides you and your mates, and your mates turned up dead. Your boss told you to get the fuck out of town before he has to slit your throat.
>>
>>51405096
Bless you Meganon.
>>
>>51405129
No, I'm just someone who wants to talk about 5e in the general without you constantly shilling your discord.
If you want to talk about 5e, post in the thread.
If you want to ERP with dudes pretending to be chicks, go do that but stop posting your shit here.

Discord is a cancer we can do without and, by extension, you are a cancer we can do without.
To reiterate, fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>51405096
>https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html#

I will literally suck your dick.
>>
>>51405096
Why are you so good to us?
>>
>>51405086
I love this but I would like to see what else you've got. Forge mainly.
>>
>>51405096
This is fucking cool, thank you megaanon.
>>
>>51405221
Ok let me stew my brain for a bit, might go to sleep soon though and if so lll type out stuff in the morning
>>
What do Awakened Mystic do in combat? Spam 1d8 damage?
>>
>>51404500
>Would I be an edgelord if I played a warlock like a Sith?
That's basically how I've always thought of warlocks. You're probably good.

The real trick is playing it like a well written Sith.
>>
>>51398008
Honestly? I like goblins. But like, Lord of the Rings goblins. Like, complete and utter assholes that'll rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into their clothes and if you are very, very lucky they'll do it in that order goblins.

Anything except the goddamn fuck-stupid impish inventor shit I've had to endure since fucking Pathfinder shit those ones out.
>>
>>51405179
Hahahahahah oh man the denial there.
We got KA now! He's our newest refugee and he fits in with us like a puzzle piece. Bet old 5eg is really feeling the burn now! Sacks of shit!
>>
File: Kek2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kek2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Guis I need feedback to make this warlock patron suck less

Its all your fault that I made it in the first place anyways

pls acknowledge my existence
>>
>>51405809
This is white hot garbage and I love it.
>>
>>51405835
>>51405809
Seconded.
Or shall I say...
kek
>>
Hey /tg/!
I'm playing a Storm origin Sorcerer and I was wondering what spells and cantrips I should focus on at level 1 and 2--both in terms of thematics and optimization. Oh, and just generally fun spells to have early on.
>>
>>51405809
Oh shit my tits what is this?
>>
>>51405809
jesus christ how hilarious
>>
>>51405835
>>51405865
>>51405936
>>51405946
D'aw thanks guys. Someone posted the idea the other day as a joke... and then somehow this happened.

There was an anon last night who had some very useful feedback too, so I hope this is a little better for a second try if he sees it.

Any suggestions or mechanics that need cleaned up? I'm a hack at this tbqh but it's been fun
>>
>>51405935
Lightning Lure, Shocking Grasp, and Thunderclap are good options for damage cantrips, Thunderwave or Chromatic Orb for damaging 1st level spell. Chromatic Orb does *not* expend the diamond, so you only ever need the 1.
>>
>>51406000
I think Dubs isn't gonna get much use. Maybe a once per long rest damage bump if any damage die come up the same?

Shitpost is also odd. Maybe you should replace it with "Back to le Reddit XD". Similar to Hurl through Hell, ya know?

Also, Witnessed.
>>
>>51405809
In a similar vein to this, it would be fucking hilarious to do a homebrew Sorcerous Origin where your magical powers arose from remaining a virgin for 40 years
>>
I'm thinking maybe having an atlatl for increasing the damage of thrown spears. Does this sound balanced?

>1d10 piercing damage
>thrown, special
>Special: Requires bonus action to reload.

1d10 is pretty high for a thrown weapon, but it's really just a couple damage points more, and probably counterbalanced by the fact you have to load it with your bonus action.
>>
>>51406116
>I think Dubs isn't gonna get much use.
Yeah the odds on that one are quite long. I guess even if it worked on ability checks and saves it would still be rare.
Dubs on damage dice is interesting, although it wouldn't work well with Eldritch Blast because of the discreet attack rolls and that would be a shame.
Another option is to add something to The Frog God. It's still very ribbon-like so there's room to play. Or replace it. It was completely different last night, in fact.

>Shitpost is also odd
Yeah it is, I complicated it from the previous version by adding the whole concentration bit. It's a dumb move but I had this image in my head of a Warlock of Kek just chasing people around the battlefield yelling random shit, and the only way to stop it was break their concentration or physically get far enough away that you couldn't hear them anymore.
Another reason the mechanics are strange is that they're intentionally left open so you can target your allies and have them voluntarily fail their will save (sacrificing their reaction) to add damage dice, with the risk being that if no enemies fail their saves then the party has to eat the damage. Sadly, it's all very clumsy right now.

>>51406249
Now would that be a Sorc origin or a Wizard homeschool ?
>>
>>51406340
>shitpost
"You project an aura of shitposting out to 30ft. Any creature that enters this aura or begins their turn there takes 1d10 psychic damage, and their movement is halved on a failed charisma save."
>>
>>51406324
I'm trying to think of which class it would be good for. Most of the martial classes get 2 attacks so one attack would be wasted with an atlatl. It would also probably require two hands to load, so no shields by 5e rules.

If it's a martial weapon maybe you can give it longbow damage (1d8) with less than shortbow range (60/180-ish?) and then the upside becomes that it turns into a spear + club combo in melee without having to switch weapons?
>>
>>51406426
There's a shitposting channel in the new 5eg discord. You should have a look. Quality content. Straight from Reddit and /pol/
>>
>>51406426
Oh, an aura, good idea. I do like WIS save over CHA save on shitpost though, since the proper response to shitposting is usually identifying it (perception) and ignoring it
>>
Anyone familiar with these dice?

https://www.dnddice.com/mix-match/metal-dice/dwarven-metal-dice-set.html

Do they roll alright and are easy to see in person? Do they chip easy?
>>
>>51406612
I'm not familiar with them, but I imagine the bigger problem with metal dice would be the long term effects to a table if you don't roll them on top of something
>>
I am making a Zealot-Path Barbarian for an upcoming game in a killer-DM game. Because Zealot-Path Barbarians can be resurrected for free, I expect her to die quite a bit. I want to make her frequent death a defining feature in her backstory, and I can't think of a good title for a barbarian who dies a lot and and is revived a lot.

Any good titles, /5eg/?
>>
>>51406477
that sounds pretty good. It's a shame there's no middle ground with shields in 5e where you could have a shittier one in exchange for being able to do some tasks like load weapons.

it being a one-shot spear -> club thing works pretty well if i'm going to have some primitive types. Could see a barbarian lizardfolk who clubs motherfuckers with 20 str, you'd still get a nice +7ish bonus if you're raging or if you took a dip for dueling or something.
>>
>>51406612
>https://www.dnddice.com/mix-match/metal-dice/dwarven-metal-dice-set.html

Assuming they're the same I bought off amazon for half the price, yes. They're pretty easy to see and haven't chipped yet, nor damaged the table we play on (though it's just a cheap wooden table, not glass or anything)
the only downside is they make regular dice feel almost weightless in comparison. It feels weird to roll these along with regular plastic die.

They're probably the easiest to read dice I own, though.
>>
>>51406612
A friend of mine has those dice. He really likes them. They haven't chipped but they will mark tables on the first drop if it's big enough (we play on an old shitty wooden table so it's not a concern). They're reasonably easy to read as well considering the design. And yeah, they're heavy as fuck. Be careful you don't accidentally hurl regular dice at anyone's face after rolling those.

>>51406670
>It's a shame there's no middle ground with shields in 5e where you could have a shittier one
Yeah, I'm disappointed all shields are essentially the same too. They went really light on arms and armor to keep things streamlined I guess. But sometimes I stare longingly at the weapons list trying to think of weapons to fluff.
>>
>>51406650
I'd be using a folding dice tray so damage to the table would not be an issue.

>>51406696
Cool, thanks for the info.

>>51406752
Ahh, so the weight is really that much of an issue??

I was also considering these instead https://www.dnddice.com/sets-of-dice/dwarven-beige-dice-set-unusual.html

And just getting only the D20 in metal for fancy(Read: autism) rolls or whatever.
>>
>>51406666

Some kind of ex-paladin who got sick of dying for her home and realised if people could just resurrect her dying for them had no meaning.

She's now left her vows but still uses the gods powers and decided she might as well spend her many deaths doing more then protecting one place and travels around knight-errant style.
>>
>>51398008
MYSTIC TAKE 3 FUCKING WHEN?
>>
>>51406783
>Ahh, so the weight is really that much of an issue??
I wouldn't say it's an "issue" but they are significantly heavier than a plastic die. It will take some getting used to is all
>>
>>51406666
What about the title of "Revenant"?
>>
>>51406797
Splendid, this gives me thought into why she adventures in the first place, something I was lacking. Also works for explaining her willingness to fight for nearly any just cause. Great help anon.

>>51406837
And this gives me a decent title. I played with the idea of calling her "the Worthless" (since it costs nothing to revive her from death) or "the Risen" (since she always pops back up), but "the Revenant" sounds more intimidating. I think I may just use it. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1395107608051.jpg (186KB, 794x1191px) Image search: [Google]
1395107608051.jpg
186KB, 794x1191px
>>51406666

They still have to know someone who can cast the spell, right? Who is the person/people who kept reviving her?
>>
>>51406898
No problem. Its latin root means "the returning" anyways. Seemed fitting to me.
>>
>>51398070
In my games, I ruled no. Made me kek when the cleric dived underwater to fight the water weird
>>
>>51406909
I know the party will have a cleric capable of casting spells at or higher than 3rd level, and so long as the cleric is safe, my character can be revived.

>>51406912
Hmm, that does sound fitting. Good thinking!
>>
>>51406949

No, I meant for your backstory. I'd figure whoever was doing that is probably pretty important to your character.
>>
>>51406972
Oh, that is a fair point! I had originally thought that she would just be a for-hire knight, though thinking about it, she would without a second thought fight to the death for the safety of whoever revives her. Perhaps something happened to the one in the backstory (different beliefs, cleric was killed, etc.) or maybe I'll work it out with the cleric's PC. Good advice anon.
>>
>>51405096
>>
>>51405809
Oh wow, a gem
>>
>>51405096

Future DM here - what's the easiest way to stat unplanned enemy encounters?

Do I just skim through the MM and pull them in? The chart included in the calculator looks useful. But do you do a CR X monster for each party member of level X?
>>
>>51407230
Click the "Encounter Builder" link in 5etools. It goes to Kobold Fight Club, which makes it easy to make quick encounters using 5e's encounter systems. The CR tool is for calculating the CR of homebrew monsters.
>>
>>51407243
Awesome. Life is so good when people make tools for things.
>>
>>51407243
>>51407270

Why doesn't WotC make stuff like this?
>>
>>51407341
Because it doesn't make money
>>
>>51407341
Despite what they'd have you believe, they're a business first.
Doing things at no profit to themselves is very low on their agenda.
>>
>>51405809
>While you are concentrating on shitposting you may not cast spells or use magical items.

Including Magic weapons for attacks?
>>
>>51407383
The idea was no using wands or similar things to bypass the no-spells restriction, but using a wand (or weapon) would normally require your action anyway... so I guess it doesn't matter either way and can be scrapped. Haste breaks things of course, but haste breaks everything, so whatever.
>>
>>51405809
>Your skin might take on more of a green or yellow hue (hue hue)
For want of a better word, kek
>>
>>51407383
>>51407432
Wait, I just remembered the original reason it went in - the idea is that you're speaking the whole time (shitposting), so you can't cast spells with a verbal component or activate magical items that require a command word to activate.
>>
>>51407432
So haste would be the thing that would allow you to attack? Like with say a +1 Longsword or Pact of the Blade Weapon
>>
Anyone got any Archetype concepts they wish existed?

I vaguely want to try my hand at homebrewing but I haven't had a coffee yet and the idea well is dry.
>>
>>51407502
Warlock with a dragon patron, or a cleric/paladin of bahamut
>>
So I'm making a Paladin/Warlock and I'm trying to decide if I should just throw everything into dex and take a rapier or go with strength and a long sword. Any advice to solve this?
>>
>>51407502
Angel and/or succubus summoner.
BMX and/or Skateboard bandit
>>
>>51407502
demonologist wizard, probably using the UA Black Magic spells

demon hunter rogue or ranger archetype (new planar guardian from the UA is pretty close)

simple-weapons only barbarian that also hurls boulders or medium sized foes and shit
>>
>>51407533
Go full dex.
There, solved.
>>
>>51407502
Rogue shadowdancer.

I know there's a monk for it but it doesn't feel the same without the sneak attack.
>>
>>51407475
As it's written it would be fine.
The closest analogy the ability has is Witch Bolt:

>On a hit, the target takes 1d12 lightning damage, and on each of your turns for the duration, you can use your action to deal 1d12 lightning damage to the target automatically. The spell ends if you use your action to do anything else.

Although the way Witch Bolt is worded it implies that even if you had a second action you couldn't use it for anything other than activating Witch Bolt without losing the spell, and also that Witch Bolt can be used as many times in your turn as you have available actions.

Of course, Haste doesn't actually let you use Witch Bolt more than once a turn because you can only do limited things with a hasted action (attack, dash, hide, disengage, etc). Which really means that Witch Bolt + Haste is a wasted combination. I guess that means Shitposting should really work the same way.

This combo probably doesn't come up because by the time characters have access to Haste, Witch Bolt has been sitting in the garbage for 4 or 5 levels...
>>
>>51407533
>>51407547
Literally why would you do anything other than PAM with quarterstaff when you can get shillelagh (charisma)

Do you hate yourself?
>>
>>51407556
I don't know what PAM is, but I'm going blade lock for my shitty anime spirit sword.
>>
>>51407502
The Magik Archer from Dragon's Dogma. It might not translate to pen and paper very well, but that game really nailed the feel of channeling spells through your bow. Most Arcane Archer types are "I cast a magic spell ON my bow and now it does more things." This was "I'm drawing the threads of magic instead of a bowstring, and when I let go it's channeling magic THROUGH my bow to make all kinds of crazy shit, some of which is only vaguely related to archery, appear."
Now that I think about it, those bows were basically curved staves. I'm not sure how to make that generic enough for 5e.
>>
>>51407591
>PAM
Polearm Master (feat)
>>
>>51407591
Holy jesus fuck

That's like taking levels of sorcerer not because you want metamagic but because you want sorcerer's expansive spell list, spell slots and number of spells known.

PAM is the classic Paladin choice as it gives them up to one or two extra attacks, and it works with a quarterstaff

Taking your shitty anime sword pact means you can't take one of the best things for paladin - pact of the tome, which allows you to charisma for pretty much everything.

Pact of the blade doesn't even do anything if you have 5 levels of paladin, because you don't need extra attack.

Okay I'll stop being obnoxious but I'll tell you if you want an ability like that you're much better off asking your DM or something, because pact of the blade is 140% shit if you don't need an extra attack.
>>
I'm looking for a good small maze dungeon that I can convert into a forest/briar maze. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51407502
>>51407546

HULKING

H U R L E R
U
R
L
E
R
>>
Are there rules for the use of siege weapons anywhere? I want to use a cannon for an encounter set on a pirate ship but I'm not sure what ruling to use for their damage.
>>
>>51407617
I was going Undying Light Warlock so I add my CHA to any Radiant/Fire spells so I figured going Bladelock and using Smite would help me deal out a lot of damage.
>>
>>51407709
DMG pg. 255.
>>
>>51407716
Well, the problem is the bladelock doesn't give you anything until you get the talent that nets you CHA to your attacks, but that's pretty high level and you will be multiclassing. You are better off grabbing tomelock for Shillelagh and GFB (yet another source of fire damage) and go with that, and ignore extra attacks.
>>
>>51407230
if you use a CR X monster for each party member of level X you're going to kill them all
>>
So the difference between taking dual wielder and just getting 2 Dex is:

Dual Wielder:
+1 AC
+2 Damage (switching to Rapier)

VS:
+1 AC
+2 Damage (+1 each shortsword)
+1 to Dex saving throws
+1 to all dex skills

So why would you ever take Dual Wielder? Is it just for strength characters?
>>
>>51407806
Maybe after maxing DEX?
>>
>>51407806
you can draw both on the same turn

but yea, mostly for STR characters. A dex character has other options, especially a rogue
>>
Is level 5 too early for a group to find a Belt of Hill Giant Strength? It's the one that sets your strength to 21.
>>
>>51407829
Yes.
>>
File: Pacts in 5e.png (97KB, 1272x521px) Image search: [Google]
Pacts in 5e.png
97KB, 1272x521px
>>51407716
All the more reason to go tomelock, because you need that +cha even more.

So get shillelagh (charisma) and focus entirely on putting your charisma to 20, fuck strength/dex.

warlock 3/4/5/ + paladin the rest is a great multiclass.
>>
>>51407819
>you can draw both on the same turn

Such a weird thing. Your character needs to train and really think about it to realize "oh I can just put the swords on different sides, then I can draw them at the same time. "
>>
How would I run a Blair Witch adventure, but with the caveat that the PCs triumph.
>>
>>51407605
make a sorcerer, fluff it that the magic comes from your bow and not your bloodline
>>
>>51407829
No.
>>
>>51407806
Don't forget +1 to initiative for dex and if you're a monk +1 to deflect missiles and maybe some other things I forgot

And dual wielder's draw two weapons at once can help

But, otherwise, you only take dual wielder when you run out of +dex to give yourself and you want AC, or you're trying some really weird gimmick like if your DM allows you to dual-wield shields as improvized weapons for +3 AC after the feat (But wouldn't allow you to do rapier+shield with dual wielding for +3 AC, possibly).

And dual wielding sucks anyway, even on a rogue. Ranged combat (get crossbow mastery) or rapier+BB/GFB is better if you can do it.
>>
>>51407876
Make all the players blind
>>
>>51407905
You must be an excellent DM.
>>
>>51407905
>players

So like, blindfolds or something more permanent?
>>
>>51407903
>>51407806
Thinking about it, the only people dual wielder would ever probably be good on is strength barbarogues who grapple all the fucking time so take shortsword+shortsword instead of shortsword+shield because if they drop a weapon and grapple they can still attack. And they'd want shortsword's extra hit because rage damage applies and they use some of their extra attacks to grapple sometimes and in those cases don't always need their cunning action. Also allows them to dual-wield with nets and stuff.

.. So yes, dual wielder is a super niche ability for weird high level rogues and variant human barbarogues or some stupid shit. Oh, and bladesingers, don't forget the bladesinger faggots.
>>
>>51407605
>play wizard/sorcerer
>somehow have longbow proficiency
>obtain crystal for spellcasting focus
>embed crystal in grip section of bow
>at DMs behest, also take War Caster feat

Boom.
>>
>change damage on weapon from piercing to slashing.
>increase price 150% and weight 50%

I don't understand you Wizards.
>>
>>51407605
That's just fluff.
>>
>>51405809

K
E
K
>>
File: ffff.jpg (364KB, 1280x1301px) Image search: [Google]
ffff.jpg
364KB, 1280x1301px
Is there something in the DMG about creating undead or skeltal versions of enemies?

If I were to create an undead or skeltal T-Rex, should I just copy the T-Rex block, take some health away and add the stuff from the basic skeleton?

My players are about to fight a Dinosaur Necromancer.
>>
>>51407842
Tomelock 3 / Paladin the rest is great! Too bad PAM and GFB doesn't work together.
>>
>>51408029
Nope. Just guess you should just go with copy T-rex stat on it and add immunity and vulnerability.

and 5e animated dead only work on humanoid
>>
>>51407829
Whoever gets it will be fairly powerful but in a high magic campaign it won't matter to much.
>>
File: snek.jpg (6KB, 299x169px) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
6KB, 299x169px
>>51408045
not if i say it doesnt
>>
>>51407829
Yes.

Just tell them to hand over their character sheets, cross out everything they've written down and replace everything with magic item abilities of your choosing.

That's what it's like to DM a campaign where you shower everyone in bullshit magic items.
>>
>>51407876
This is a serious question actually.
>>
>>51405809
>jokingly ask around how to stat a certain character
>a madman actually makes an entire subclass for it
gotta love you guys
>>
>>51405809
>Bane
>>
File: 1485244349266.png (1MB, 788x872px) Image search: [Google]
1485244349266.png
1MB, 788x872px
>>51408104
Fuck, I only just realized why bane is there, it's not just for the effect.
>>
>>51405809
How do you make the pages look so legit?
>>
>>51407720
Thanks
>>
>>51398008
I need a hand to make a Warforged/ Golem Blacksmith.

How do I optimise the fuck outta that character concept?
>>
>>51398249
Kobold Swashbuckler ftw?
>>
>>51408284
Forge cleric, give +1 AC buffs all over yourself. Shield of faith too, warding bond too. Just about anything that increases AC.Only issue is I think they updated forge cleric so the level 6 doesn't give +1 AC anymore, so eh.
Take a level of fighter for +1 AC fighting style.

At least the warforged as it's given is basically an AC stacking gimmick guy.
>>
>>51408252
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>>
>>51408297
I can dig a kobold swashbuckler, sure. I'd be more interested in using an artificer with the alchemist path.
>>
Do wizards still need a good dex to hit with ranged pew pew type spells or am I mixing this up with older editions?
>>
>>51408343
They don't.

Still comes in handy for init and AC though.
>>
>>51408343
If it's a spell, it uses their casting stat to hit.
>>
>>51408347
>>51408354

Fuck yeah. Dumping Dex never felt so good.
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot(1).png (121KB, 1536x675px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot(1).png
121KB, 1536x675px
>>51408313
Is there a bucket on head, firearms and bushranger coat involved?

Red Kelly?

>>51408300

TYVM anon.
>>
>>51408365
As an Australian I think I've got my next character.
>>
Alright my guys, give me your best ideas for a really cool, legendary rarity, fire based magic item.
A real pyromaniac's wet dream
>>
>>51408358
Dumping dex still causes:
>shit stealth saves (can fuck over your party if you try to stealth, will likely mean you won't get to join ambushes where you can have an extra round at the start)
>shit initiative, you might effectively have less rounds than everyone
>shit dex saves, one of the most important saves
>shit AC, including shit AC for mirror images
>inability to multiclass into a few classes, many classes if your strength also isn't at least 13
>shit acrobatics meaning it's harder to avoid grapples unless your athletics is good

But you'll live, probably.
>>
>>51405809
This is great. I think he deserves to be fluffed as a minor Slaad Lord whose portfolio includes outcasts, coincidences, paranoia and spite.
>>
>>51408399
Happy 'Straya Day Bro!

I played a Kobold Bushwhacker in Pathfinder... Red Kelly was a badass who snuck up on enemies, before BTFO of the enemy 'mammalian fart-for-brains..."
>>
>>51408422
A grand scepter with oddly flowing and flickering runes over it, a dial-like brass-ish knob part way along it that has squares with similar runes on it, the metal always hot to the touch, and a bright torch flame at the end, twice as bright as a regular torch.
The wielder can open a portal to some plane that's really fucking fiery. Some elemental plane thing. This is a ritual that takes 10 minutes, and you can do it as often as you like. The portal stays open for an hour.
When you open this portal, fire and all sorts of nasty shit spews forth. Sometimes even fire elementals come out. An area of radius 50ft .around the portal is engulfed in constant flame, dealing 2d6 fire damage to anyone who stands in it at the start of their turn, if they're standing there, or 5d6 if they're within 10ft of the portal. Anything right under the portal melts, unless it's of an incredibly heat resistant material.
Rates of elemental spawning and stats of elementals is up to the DM.
Anything within the fire portal's proximity, a bit beyond the 50ft radius will also be prone to catching fire sooner or later due to the heat and various pyrokinetics going on.

Also, any fire spell originating from within the 50ft radius of flames produced by the portal deals double the damage dice in terms of damage, because fuck stuff.

If the wielder's class is suitable, they can cast twinned firebolts with the scepter at-will, as a cantrip, no points or resources. Also they always know GFB I guess.
>>
What would happen if I dumped my Wis and Int? Does my character just becomes to dum?
>>
>>51408510
Oh, bonus information, dousing all the flames around the portal simultaneously with extremely strong rain or some crazy ice spell or whatever will cause it to collapse and suck in anything within 5ft of it in the process because fuck this shit I'm out.
>>
File: Emiya_shiro.png (47KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
Emiya_shiro.png
47KB, 180x240px
>>51408525
If you are fine with this as your character, sure
>>
Anybody recruiting for a game with lewds?
>>
>>51408566
I don't watch korean scribbles, please elaborate
>>
>>51408575
dumped int and wis for max str, dex, con, and cha
>>
>>51408525

Wisdom = Good judgment
Int = Academic ability

Dumping them both would result in someone who is bad at reading/writing/learning *and* makes poor decisions when dealing with others.
>>
File: Hold up.jpg (106KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hold up.jpg
106KB, 500x500px
>>51408572
>>
>>51408599
What I want to constantly be conned and duped, what then
>>
>>51408611
low WIS
>>
What classes are the most powerful from levels 5 to 10? My DM always ends his games around that point. Everyone always talks about how OP wizards and shit are, but if the game ends at level 8, they're usually shitty and boring. I want to take advantage of the fact that I KNOW this fucker will end the campaign by the time we hit that level.
>>
>>51408635
moon druid
>>
>>51407922
Anything that prevents them from looking at the witch.
>>
>>51408635
Barbarians or Fighter Champions.
>>
>>51408635
Fighter 2/Wizard X
>>
>>51408635
>>51408657

Seconding moon druid. Being a bear or a rape ape whenever you want will put you lightyears ahead of the party.
>>
>>51408635
Casters are still powerful around then, especially if you get lots of rests.

Moon druid is a good choice, PAM paladin is still a good choice, you can still do multiclasses like barbarogue and sorlock, cleric can still run around and do their spirit guardians or whatever it is bullshit.

Honestly, everything we say is first tier is still first tier about then, it's just that they're truly OP beyond belief at the highest levels.
>>
>>51408610
What
>>
File: 128ab.jpg (168KB, 1280x879px) Image search: [Google]
128ab.jpg
168KB, 1280x879px
>>51408743
I would be up for it. I had preparations for a magical realm but I just don't have the initiative to do that, even in a community of deviants. That said, I still do not.
>>
Best druid spells other than the obvious polymorph and conjure spells?
>>
>>51408868
Pass without trace.
>>
>>51408825
Stuck in hospital bed for 6 - 8 more weeks, otherwise I run such games as Forever DM.
>>
One of my players has a ring of dimension door and had been using it to teleport 500ft above stunned opponents. I ruled at the time that it does max fall damage to both of them plus the player can make an attack. Unfortunately the player is a level 12 monk and doesnt take a whole lot of damage.

Thoughts of better ways of handling it?
>>
>>51409078
Each force has an equal and opposite reaciton.
If they slow their fall, they're reducing the damage they can do.

Not to mention, it takes a while to fall 500ft. It takes 6 seconds, which pretty much means they have to wait until next turn to do anything, though I guess the point is the target's stunned so they won't move anywhere before that, huh. But on that subject, the monk might not be able to make any more attacks that round as the 'drop punch' is essentially an entire action.
>>
>>51409078
Stop fighting out in open fields. If he's fighting under a mountain or something and teleports 500 feet up he's going to get stuck in solid rock. Or even a fucking building; teleporting 500 feet up will make him fall on the roof.
>>
>>51409078
You're doing about as good of a job as you can with that ruling unfortunately, though >>51409122
has a point about ceasing to give him the advantage on these by fighting on open ground. Make a forest, a cave, something with a reasonable ceiling to it and his ability is negated and thus he's not cheesing your game.
>>
>>51409121
>>51409122
>>51409145
Thanks, all good ideas. It's also a 1/day use so I'm hoping it just burns up on a one.. never give players nice things.
>>
File: wood wolf.jpg (61KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
wood wolf.jpg
61KB, 650x488px
Question, /5eg/, Scientist here again.

I've been reading up on spells and such, and was wondering about Soul magic in 5e. As a Warlock, I was going to try and make a sort of Fae wolf reaper spirit, which would steal through the night, and collect the emotions of lesser races, bringing them back to my patron, allowing me to gain their favour without having to do any real work myself. Because I wanted to spin some flair on the concept, I was going to use the soul of my greatest enemy to power the creation, which is essentially a giant werewolf skeleton made of wood instead of bone, and trap their soul in a gem which I would deposit inside the skull. Unfortunately, in 5e, the spell Trap the Soul was turned into Imprisonment. But imprisonment only mentions trapping their body, not their soul. Hence, my question, If I attempted to use the gem I imprison someone in to power this great work, would it utilise their body or their soul to do it?
Kind regards, a Scientist.
>>
>>51409259
Both. The soul is already inside the body, so if you trapped the body, you've also trapped the soul.

The only caveats I can see to this :

1) Your nemesis does not HAVE a soul. A wooden werewolf skeleton may be some kind of magi-empowered golem or technical wonder.

2) Your nemesis is capable of astral travel or soul-walking and can thus abandon his body. I need to read up on Imprisonment right now to specify if their faculties are shut down while imprisoned.
>>
>>51409283
Here, it's Minimus containment in 5e.
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Imprisonment
>>
>>51409305
>Minimus Containment
>The target shrinks to a height of 1 inch and is imprisoned inside a gemstone or similar object. Light can pass through the gemstone normally (allowing the target to see out and other creatures to see in), but nothing else can pass through, even by means of teleportation or planar travel. The gemstone can’t be cut or broken while the spell remains in effect.
The special component for this version of the spell is a large, transparent gemstone, such as a corundum, diamond, or ruby.

Seems legit to me. It specifies you cannot escape via teleportation or astral travel.

The only way to escape then is by having a 9th level dispel cast on it, OR if the creature you trapped was somehow able to transform itself into light, since it specifies that light CAN pass freely through the prison.

Not many creatures are capable of turning into sentient light last time I checked, so it should be reasonable.
>>
File: howl's moving castle.jpg (203KB, 1400x757px) Image search: [Google]
howl's moving castle.jpg
203KB, 1400x757px
>>51409320
Perfect. My nemesis is another Scientist, but he's this douchebag who works for the King and is industrialising as fuck, which obviously pisses off the fae, and in turn me, because the less nature there is the less experiments I can do. He also made a huge castle that walks on iron spider legs, and sucks up enormous swathes of land, some of which "Just happened to be" my laboratory. He's a fucking dick. But i'm sure I can put his suffering to good use inside the wolf thing. I have yet to give it a name though, any ideas?
>>
>>51407829
My current group is lvl 9 and they've got two magic weapons that doesn't even have a +1 to them.
Oh and a wand of secrets. That's it.
>>
>>51407521
Well, it's awful, and I couldn't get the HTML to do what I want, but it's my first try, so this is my practice one.

For some reason the spacing works on the editor but not when I try to save as PDF.
>>
File: edgelord_by_kaydragon-da49f4v.jpg (73KB, 800x658px) Image search: [Google]
edgelord_by_kaydragon-da49f4v.jpg
73KB, 800x658px
>>51409362
My group has one magic item, it's called the Forbidden Shadowbox. I've hyped it up through the entire campaign as the MacGuffin that can be used for great good or evil, the edgiest box on the planet, coated in runes that break your mind, body and spirit, and the secret inside can kill even gods.

My group got it last week and they can't read the runes because none of them speak Abyssal.

It wouldn't help though, the only thing inside the box is a shadow spirit that consumes its hosts body, turns them into another shadow, then climbs back into the box. I was right about it being able to kill gods, but the only thing it does it kill whoever opens it.
I can't wait to see how they use it
>>
>>51409356
Oh, my bad. I thought your nemesis was a wooden werewolf skeleton, not your creation.

So yeah, if you're using a wooden skeleton werewolf empowered by the soul of your rival to harvest emotions, I'd probably call it the Stiftendrescher because German sounds evil and it was an old threshing machine.
>>
>>51409386
I'd specify that the Golden Hoard room can only be used for Gold, or it is ejected into the void. Otherwise you're just giving them a free Demiplane spell.
>>
>>51409362
This is how it should be.

>>51409393
And this is also how it should be, though I hope at least gods have a save throw against it or can beat it up fisticuffs style.
>>
>>51409395
that does sound good, thanks man!
>>
>>51409386
Also the entire last paragraph is wrong, I think I saved an unedited version, great.

>>51409411
Yeah, I think I ctrl-Z'd a couple of times, it also specified long rests and the changing size of the room, I'll fiddle with it.
>>
>>51409422
I'm not a monster, the shadow can be beaten. But it does continually come after the target once released. So the only way to stop it is to trap it in the shadowbox again until some other poor sod opens the box. Though my group would deserve it, as I have told them several times through NPC's studying the box that it is NOT ADVISABLE to open it and that the mindbreaking runes are there for a reason. I suppose we'll see what comes of that. I want to know which is stronger, their common sense or their greed.
>>
>>51408687
Moon Druid fall off at level 5. Polar Bear isn't any better than other martial with extra attack.
>>
>>51409445
Yeah, but do martials revert into fullcasters on death with full HP and full spell slots that can take a bonus action to turn back into a polar bear all over again or start casting shit?
No, they go down.
>>
>>51408635
Lore Bard

Diviner Wizard (polymorph boss into a fish, give him 2 for saving throw then cast sleep)
>>
>>51398682
"Bedroom eyes" looks from a fair number of women NPCs, the more promiscuous of which should also "subtly" try to get with that PC or at least make some sort of lewd action described in passing like her hand slinking to her crotch for a moment before she pulls it away quickly and blushes sheepishly.
>>
File: 1404509692920.jpg (89KB, 705x565px) Image search: [Google]
1404509692920.jpg
89KB, 705x565px
Man I got a weakness for Human Paladins. I really need to play other classes. I played as them for 7 campaigns.
>>
File: tsuyu asui.png (45KB, 198x228px) Image search: [Google]
tsuyu asui.png
45KB, 198x228px
>>51398682
the ability to be the best waifu.
>>
>>51409458
Have you actually play a moon druid at that level?

Polar Bear suck. 42 HP and 12 AC at that level is less than your human form. Sure, you can shore it up with Barkskin but then you won't be able to cast battlefield control spell. Wasting your concentration economy just to be a subpar fighter.

Moon Druid work better as a control at that level. Have you ever try using Sleet storm combo with Giant Constrictor Snake?

Also if you really want to be a fighter. Just polymorph yourself into a Half-Red Dragon Giant Ape.
>>
>>51409529
I know this feeling, but with human Wizards.

Every time I play another class, all these cool magical problems happen in the campaign that make me furious that I'm not a wizard. I CAN'T QUIT YOU
>>
Can you pretend to shake someone's hand and Shocking Grasp them with advantage?

Or is casting Shocking Grasp something that automatically demands initiative be rolled and makes NPCs hostile against you?
>>
>>51409641
> vocal
> somatic
Are you going to pretend to be shaking hand while making a weird hand movement and shouting in eldritch language?

I don't think any sane person would shake hand with you.
>>
What Dual Wielder needs is to grant:
+1 Dex, +1 AC and an extra action.
>>
>>51409555
They merely said 'it wasn't any better than other martial'
So, by the assumption is was just as good a martial, I was saying why it'd then still be way better.

And, in the end, you can still use the form if you need a bit of extra meatshielding.
Still, it's probably better to go the battleifeld control way, as you said, and you still have access to spells like polymorph.

>>51409684
>extra action
Hahaha no
I hope you mean 'object interaction'. Then maybe yes.
>>
So I want to MultiClass a Fighter into a monk so I can gain Sun Soul Monk and its abilities yet keep fighter as my main class. Is this a viable or feasible thing to do?
>>
Post your best description of a monster without being obvious as to what it is, and without being overly cryptic.

> Dashing through the viny tendrils of the jungle, you catch a brief glimpse of the creature that's been tracking you and your friends ever since you stepped foot into the Overgrowth. Strong, panther-like body but much larger than any big cat you've seen before. At first what looks to be a trick of the eye or a symptom of it's blinding speed, you see what looks like six legs where it should have four. On it's shoulders two large tentacles protrude, flowing purposefully behind it. The most unnerving part: before it disappears back into the thick underbrush, it's image blurs as it locks eyes with you, becoming once again nearly invisible against the jungle.
>>
>>51409740
You could, but you'd need good Dex and Wis on top of your fighter stats. Why not just be a pure Sun Soul Monk?
>>
>>51409755
>without being obvious

Literally displacer beast. You were overly obvious.

Might has well said "blurry tentacle panther" and even then.
>>
>>51409684
>>51409729
Shit, misspoke, meant extra bonus action.
>>
Is it viable to play a pure wis shillelagh fighter?
>>
>>51409759
Mostly because I am going for a heavy character with shield and flail, I mostly want the Sun Soul Monk for the flavor and added versatility.

This is of course mostly a Dungeon crawl only game so its perfect for testing this kinda thing out.
>>
>>51409779
Only if your name is Paddy O'Shaugnessy.
>>
>>51409772
I'd rather err on that side than have players (newbies and veterans a like) have no idea what I'm talking about. I just like this as an exercise for DMs to avoid, "Well a Githyanki steps in front of you", or bring some flavor to otherwise classic monsters that everyone knows. Half my players (who never played before 5e) had no idea what a displacer beast was.
>>
File: Sabretooth_X-Men162.jpg (157KB, 360x468px) Image search: [Google]
Sabretooth_X-Men162.jpg
157KB, 360x468px
Is there a way to make a viable unarmed fighter that's not a monk?

Hell, is there a way to gain natural weapons?
>>
>>51409808
Get prof in unarmed.
>>
File: The Scaled One.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
The Scaled One.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51409411
I don't know why the PDF exporting is different from how it looks in the editor, but I've fixed the bits from before.

Shitty editing and dodgy wording aside, thoughts?
>>
Can you still voluntarily fail checks?

IE I'm falling off a cliff and the party druid wants to Thorn Whip to pull me 10 feet to him and save my life; can I just willingly get hit by it or does he still have to beat my AC?
>>
>>51409808
Battlemaster that's more about battlefield control than doing direct damage with punches and kicks.
>>
>>51409808
Tons.

Don't be a human.

Shifters, Lizardmen, Minotaurs, etc all get natural weapons.
>>
>>51409831
I'd allow it, as I think it becomes the DM's call, just like 92% of everything else.
>>
>>51409808
Barbarian, especially one going for shield + grappling can be viable. However, it's generally suboptimal and better if you get natural weapons somehow.
>>
>>51409831
Think it'll depend on your DM, but I would say that given AC is your ability to dodge, combined with your armour strength, it wouldn't make sense that you can't forgo your ability to avoid it.

That said, he does have to be able to hit you as you fall. I'd probably say in that situation he has to make a roll, but not against your AC. Maybe just against some basic difficulty factor.
>>
>>51409831
Depends on the situation, but in the case of thorn whip or, say, a strength save from alchemist's thunder stone you should be able to fail automatically if you wish to.

There should be very, very few cases you can't choose to fail it.
>>
I'm in a little bit of a mental bind on my character, I just don't feel like I'm contributing enough to my party plus I've almost bit the big one on more than one occasion. So I'll leave it to you guys to tell me where I've fucked up so I can learn for next time.

Dragonborn, Cleric 3, Str 15, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 9. 15 AC (from armor and shield) Life Domain, Solider background, Holy Emblem inlaid on shield with a Warhammer for weapon. Preferred tactics are to cast Bless on first turn to our three main attackers, followed up by Guiding Bolt or Spiritual Weapon to help in dealing damage with Cure Wounds or Save Life (HP equal to 5 times Cleric level spread between any number of targets, once per day, not a bad multi heal option I've found). The problem is that once those options are exhausted, I'm doing jack and/or shit as far as assisting the party besides the aftermath when I can start using my Healer's Kit that I keep regularly stocked.

What can I do different/better?
>>
>>51409949
>The problem is that once those options are exhausted, I'm doing jack and/or shit

Don't you have like... a breath weapon from being a dragonman?
>>
>>51409949
> Warhammer and Shield
> Cure wound
anon... you can't do that...
>>
>>51409983
Warhammer's a 1d8 versatile (so it's 1d10 while two handed). And Cure Wounds is simple as doffing a shield is one action and donning the shield is also an action.

So sure, healing removes the AC bonus for a turn, but it's right back to holding it the next turn
>>
>>51409949
You're doing fine. Just need to know when to use your resources, don't forget you can take the 'dodge' action sometimes if you're holding off enemies and you know enemies will attack you.

And, also, dragonborn don't really offer Cleric anything too useful.

Also
>rolling for stats
It doesn't help if you roll stats, get bad stats and then everybody else has +4s to their main stats when you have +2s.

Once you hit level 5 you can get the nice AoE damage spells and such.
>>
>>51409965
My character does but the roll for damage is 2d6 with a successful dex save being half damage. Not very much for where we're currently at, level-wise.
>>
>>51409829
I don't know about mechanically, but the idea of serving a dragon as a warlock is badass.
>>
>>51409949
Learn to save your resource. You should save your spell for a difficult fight not for mook.
Use sacred flame instead of guiding bolt. for regular attack routine.

If you're really out of everything, use Help action or something.
>>
>>51410001
>removing your shield just so you can cast cure wounds

What the fuck

>turn 1
>remove shield
>turn 2
>cast cure wounds
>turn 3
>put on shield

Maybe that's your problem

You should drop the warhammer, cast cure wounds then pick it up the next turn or something. If it's a spell that has a material component, you can cast it with the shield hand even if there's a shield there, though.
>>
>>51410001
Just pop the weapon in a belt loop as part of the cast action, and then pick it back up as part of your next attack action (just miss out on opportunity attacks in between those turns)
You'd need your shield as your focus any way
>>
Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Fire Bolt? Sure, it's Fire Damage but it's fucking amazing for a cantrip.

120 feet like EB, scales like EB, but sets unattended shit on fire? You could set an entire fucking city on fire in a few rounds.
>>
>>51410001
You are wasting your action to doff a shield.
And another action to put it on.
Most combat only last 4-5 rounds.

You are wasting almost half your action in combat to do that.
>>
>>51410030
I'd love to claim the idea, but that was >>51407521
as my brain was running slow. I liked it too, though, that's why I picked it out as one to practice on.

Had the most fun with the Golden Hoard ability.
>>
>>51410034
>>51410058
Once it's time to focus on healing, I just keep the shield off and out of the way strapped to my character's back instead of constantly putting it on/taking it off. So my actions aren't getting wasted and my DM's ruled that as long as my back is what's presented to the enemy then I still get the armor bonus from the shield.
>>
>>51410041
>lv1 wizard 8 INT with fire bolt sets city on fire, becomes lv20 from all the EXP, turns on the party and becomes BBEG of next campaign in one evening
>>
>>51410041
You could also set the city just as much on fire with a few torches in about the same time span.

Fire bolt is worse than EB. It does fire instead of force. It makes one attack - you cannot split the attack against different enemies. EB also benefits from invocations that give up to +5 damage to every blast from EB, 10ft pushback from every blast and a greater range.

Fire Bolt is crap at-will damage but it's all wizard has. It's also incredibly boring, having no additional effect on hit.
>>
>>51410090
> He's so bad that his DM has to homebrew a rule just for him

You should just drop your hammer brah.
>>
>>51410106
Anon, >Eight INT wizard with four torches will trip over and die, fire bolt lets him set fires far enough away to keep himself safe
>>
>>51410090
Do you want a real tip? Stop healing in combat unless your friend are down.

A fighter can fight just as well whether he is at 1 hp or full hp. You just need to use healing word or something to get him up and zombie rush the enemies.
>>
>>51410106
>no additional effect

Except for setting unattended stuff on fire.

"I want that thing 120 feet over there to be on fire" for free is a pretty amazing power.
>>
>>51407230
The way CR is supposed to work is that a CR X creature is a medium/hard encounter for a party of four at level X. Now action economy shits on that idea so you gotta adjust a bit.
>>
I have a concept for a character that's a power-hungry wizard, willing to do anything for more power.

Is there anything to gain from going Evocation Wizard / TomeGOO Warlock?
>>
TG, what do you think of me allowing an Eldritch Knight X/ Bladesinger 2 multiclass, in which the wizard levels count as EK levels in so far as the school of Abjuration and Evocation only are concerned?
>>
>>51410181
It's still a shitty unoptimized multiclass, so I don't see the harm.
>>
>>51410181
Read multiclass rule again.

The spell slot from the 2 classes combine together into multiclass spell slot.

However your prepared spell / spell known are seperate.
>>
How fucking strong would it be to add a feat that would allow for more than one Two weapon fighting attack per turn?
>>
>>51410177

You can roleplay a straight wizard
>>
>>51410177
Nothing that would mitigate having two caster classes that key off different stats. Is the wizard part important to the concept, or could it work with sorcerer or bard (or even paladin)?
>>
>>51410229
He could, but

>willing to do anything for more power

already implies that it's a bisexual wizard.
>>
>>51410210

That's what I'm asking

Does it do anything stupid if I rule Wizard levels as EK levels for the sake of Eldritch Knight schools, that I haven't seen coming? (Like, I don't know, Abjuration Wizard Arcane Ward and the Warlock Invocation of At Will Mage Armor)
>>
>>51410229
I wasn't planning on being gay. Just liked the idea of in my years of fanatical research for bigger and badder spells, a higher power comes in to take advantage of that. Fluff wise it makes sense (powers up some spells to higher level automatically, have different "darker" book of spells, etc. )
>>
>>51410258
>a higher power comes in to take advantage

Definitely gay wizard. Probably with daddy issues.
>>
>>51410251

So a Bard then.

Really makes me sad to know how Warlocks were supposed to be an INT class, but got shifted back to CHA for the sake of playtesting
>>
>>51410258
He meant "straight" as in "classic/by the book", and >>51410251 already wisecracked about it.

But definitely a gay wizard.
>>
>>51410144
>>51410132
Congratulations, you can start a campfire from 120ft away. You could've just walked up and set it on fire with the torch.

Congratulations, you can noisily start a small, slowly increasing fire from 120ft away. You could've just snuck up and dropped a bunch of torches up there and nobody would have even noticed because you're not flinging balls of fire at the building. Or you could throw a torch up there and not care if people hear you.

Congratulations, you can attempt to set fire to a forest from 120ft away, except ... You could have just walked up, set logs all around the tree, lit a bonfire around it and that would have been much, much more effective than trying to singe the wood a bit.
>>
>>51410268
If that's true then it's pretty dumb. CHA for warlocks make sense on its own, but for the sake of the game two INT casters and two CHA casters would have been so much better and made INT at least a little more relevant to someone who's not a wizard.
>>
>>51410272
Except that takes :

A) Torches
B) Putting yourself at physical risk by being there
C) The time required to run over there

Also Fire Bolt states that it sets it on fire. Not that it might, or may. You hit a tree? It's on fire. A house? It's on fire.

Torches aren't guaranteed.
>>
>>51410254
Why reinvent the wheel?
>>
>>51410181
Might be a bit too powerful as after level 7 (if going GFB/BB) or level 11 there isn't to much reward for sticking with the class, and wizard levels would be too favourable. But, I don't think it'd make you much better than a pure wizard, so eh. Might be better than a normal EK.
>>
File: penis wizard.png (18KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
penis wizard.png
18KB, 300x250px
>>51410271
Penis wizard.
>>
>>51410292
Trees aren't usually flammable. They're full of water. Wildfires happen in dry places.
>>
Could two wizards make each other Flying and Invisible?

Wizard #1 casts Fly with a level 4 slot, touching himself and Wizard #2. He's using his Concentration for Fly.

Wizard #2 casts Invisibility with a level 3 slot, touching himself and Wizard #1. He's using his Concentration for Invisibility.

Just seeing if that gets around the "no stacking concentration effects" shit.
>>
>>51410292
As a DM, I'd still apply a bit of reasonableness to it. Hitting a tarp or a dead tree will have wildly different effects than hitting the side of a house or even a front door with the same size, same "heat" fire bolt.
>>
>>51410254
>>51410181

I think you still con't get it. The spell slots already stack. The character's spell slots will be those of a primary caster of a level equal to his wizard levels plus one-third of his eldritch knight levels, rounded down. He has just one set of spell slots that can be used to cast spells prepared from his wizard spellbook or to cast spells he knows as an eldritch knight.

As for the question of whether wizard levels should count as fighter levels for the purpose of other class features, absolutely not.
>>
>>51410320
You can only have one target for a consecration spell. Meaning that they could only make one of them fly and be invisible at the same and the other would get nothing.
>>
>>51410292
If you cannot set fire to things with torches without killing yourself in the process, I'm sorry, you're an absolute fucking moron.

If you can't get torches... Torches are seriously cheap. Anything flammable that you can light with something is cheap. Making fire is cheap, without a cantrip.

A DM is likely to rule 'if a torch wouldn't set it on fire, a firebolt wouldn't set it on fire'. Because a torch would set a flammable objecton fire, right? So it can only set on fire the same things a torch can. You could justify that technically you can set fire to a 0.5 degree kelvin underwater tree because it's an apparently flammable material in its normal state regardless of the conditions, but I don't think a DM is going to buy bullshit and/or the fire will just immediately go out again anyway.

Your only real advantage is that you can easily do it in a 'hit and run' situation, but the only use that has is to throw at enemies to hurt them and for arson, and in the case of arson you're better off using torches for a stealthy approach because firebolts are likely louder and once people know it's magic they'll know it's a wizard's doing.
>>
>>51410341
concentration*
>>
>>51410320
The caster is the one maintaining the concentration for the effect, so yeah, it'd work.

>5E changes : Wizards now have to make Flying/Invisibility alliances to enjoy both effects once smugly in the domain of self-agency

They'll fight over who has to use the higher spell slot though.
>>
>>51410320
Yes

>>51410341
That's just plain not true. Actually read the effects of casting Fly or Invisibility at higher levels.
>>
>>51410341
He specified the higher spell slots for a reason, mate. Might wanna look at Fly and Invisibility again.

>At higher level

>When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd.
>>
>>51410353
120 feet is a lot of distance. Also, I don't know about you, but we literally invented flamethrowers because we wanted to set "that thing way over there" on fire from where we were standing.

>hurr hurr why didn't we engage in torch-warfare

>Fireball is a stupid spell, why don't we just drop an armful of torches on our opponents
>>
>>51410288

I think INT makes more sense in a Faustian type of way
>>
Friendly reminder that there's a new 5eg discord that's the official one and the other one sucks! So don't forget to grab the link and join the chat.
>>
>>51410373
>>51410369
Oh. Might be due to me never having used fly or Invisibility as a higher level spell ever. My fault.
>>
>>51410396
>News at 11 : really stingy wizards refusing to use spellslots to cast Fireball seen dropping nets full of torches on goblins along the Swordcoast
>>
>>51410401
>the official one
Both are just as official. Meaning not official at all.

>the other one sucks
Can you try not to sound like a edgy 14 year old?
>>
>>51410417
>never making your entire party Fly

This is why everyone thinks wizards are dicks.
>>
>>51410396
You can throw a torch 60 feet. You've just reached double the range of a thrown torch, well done.

At the very least use some shit like distant spell and spellsniper to get 480ft fireballs.

You can actually fight enemies with torches, you know. Obviously, you don't normally do it, but honestly if you can drop a whole payload of burning torches on your enemy as a trap it'd be more effective than casting firebolt on them.
>>
>>51410397
Really I'd think the patron is doing the work of being a forceful presence for you, to the point where it's on you to be smart enough to know how to use it (and to know how to have sought out the power in the first place), rather than you already being charismatic before your patron came along. So yeah, INT makes a lot of RP sense along with it getting to actually be a relevant stat for nonwizards.
>>
>>51410329
>The spell slots already stack.

I know the spell slots already stack.

What I'm asking if wether it's acceptable to let an Eldritch Knight 3/ Wizard 2 acess 2nd level abjuration spells
>>
>>51410452
>>51410396
Oh, also, even a halfling with a longbow can shoot a flaming arrow 600 feet away, even without shenanigans. They only have disadvantage on the attack roll, and normally that attack roll is to actually hit something creature-sized in armour 600ft away, so you can definitely hit a straw roof 600ft away with a longbow, even if you're a halfling without longbow proficiency.

Though in reality the DM is probably going to require you to not be a small creature and have proficiency otherwise they'll make you roll to hit and probably miss a few times until you get it.
>>
File: mId6SHp.jpg (89KB, 800x547px) Image search: [Google]
mId6SHp.jpg
89KB, 800x547px
>>51410422
>>51410396
>Stingy wizards willing to use spellslots for Fly in order to carry torch nets, rather than casting Fireball
>When asked why, no comment was given, and they departed gently into the stratosphere, armed with barrels of oil
>reporter was last seen running into a city while on fire
>>
>>51410479

Actually, last I checked, Invisible Fire Elemental was the hot new meme going around in town
>>
>>51410477
Or I could take a cantrip and have infinite fire beams that guaranteed set things on fire and cannot be stolen from me, take up pack space, cost gold, or "Sorry, it's too cold here for the torch" shenanigans.

No DM I've played with would let me get away with such flagrant torch abuse compared to Fire Bolt.
>>
>>51409755
Can anyone do more of these? I really like this idea.
>>
Is torchposting the new meme?

I'm going to ask my DM if my PAM Paladin's poleaxe will count as a torch if the wizard casts Continual Flame on the end of it.
>>
>>51410540
>>51410479
>>51410505
>>51410396
>>51410422
I demand that the next general is Torch-Bomb Wizard edition.
>>
>>51410513
I don't know. It's seriously not hard to take a load of torches with you unless they're playing strict encumberance rules and require everybody to have tents and everything that weights the party down and nobody has anything to expand inventory space like a cart.

It's like your DM saying 'Sorry, ranger, I can't allow you to have fire arrows. Go become a wizard, I mean wizards are underpowered and undervalued anyway.'

I can imagine it's only naturally easier to set things on fire by making a bonfire at the base of it rather than just setting off a single firebolt or two.
>>
>>51408480
Happy Australia day to you as well and good to see my countrymen have good taste in races.
>>
>>51410545
Wizards are garbage now, the class has been replaced by a single item. The torch.
>>
>>51408611
Int is being able to tell that the vacuum couldn't possibly pick that shit up.
Wis is knowing not to buy it from the con man to figure out how he does it.
>>
>>51410545

I let the ranger get a 7 charges chromatic bow for the exorbitant price of 500 golden pieces and a 50 gp diamond
>>
>>51410579
Fuck, now wizards are no longer special as the only creatures that can start fires outside of melee range, wizards are bust.

The wizard academies are closing down, the schools of evocation and firecalling are completely out of business but the school of self-immolation is said to be holding a protest and campaign about awareness of how wizards are still relevant.
>>
>>51410461
No, of course not. He can cast 1st level spells at 2nd level, though.
>>
>>51410627

I would imagine that would be a rather brief protest, all things considered
>>
>>51410619
Sounds pretty cheap. Not that the wizard couldn't buy magic items too, I imagine.
>>
>>51410644
No way. Fire Bolt is ineffective compared to torches at causing immolation. They keep trying to bolt each other but they don't catch fire because the clothing is attended by them wearing it and no torches are available because the market demand.
>>
So I'll run a One Shot tomorrow and in one of the sheets I want to test the Samurai from Unearthed Arcana, but I have a question:

Do Samurais use heavy armor? Also do they use greatswords?
>>
>>51410633
>No, of course not

How come? I know this restriction exists to prohibit Druid 19 / Wizard 1 to get Wish, but this one seems a rather niche and narrow rulling

I'm not trying to be difficult, I legitimately want to learn and better understand the reasoning behind the mechanic
>>
>>51410663

My thought behind it was "meh, for an L1 spel, it's a glorified Wand"
>>
>>51410668
It's just a smaller case of druid19/wizard1.

Level 3 spells are wizard's level 5 special feature, esesntially, much like how extra attack is many martial's level 5 feature.

You can't take a level of barbarian and 4 levels of fighter for an extra attack. You can't take a level of barbarian and 19 levels of fighter for an extra attack.

The idea is that you don't deserve a level 5 feature unless you reach level 5 in that class.
>>
>>51410696
Well, since it's a bow, I assume it adds on damage rather than just casts chromatic orb.

Of course, since nobody has the stats, it could've been a bow that casts prismatic spray for all we know.
>>
>>51410724

Hm. I don't like your explanation, for this case in specific, but I guess I do see how it makes sense
>>
>>51410772

Yeah, it adds on damage
Maybe it's a little out of gauge, but it's on okay consolation prize for there being literally only one magic bow in the entire dmg
>>
>>51410668
It's a middle ground they struck between multiclassing being useless and multiclassing creating an overpowered gestalt character. If the spells you could learn and prepare were not limited by your actual level in that class, there'd be no reason not to multiclass. All the primary casting classes would essentially be smushed together into a single mega-class because if you were any one of them you'd have no reason not to take a level in all of them.
>>
>>51410793
So, what, it adds on 1000d8 damage or something?

And it'd also depend on what other magic items there are, how much money there is, et cetera.

No matter what though a 'It's X but it does more damage' is the most boring type of magical item and the DMG needs to stop enabling it so much for 5e.
>>
Sorc/Paladin Abomination here with a question. So my DM has supplied our group with a few nets lined with Mithral, which got me thinking.
Would Shocking Grasp gain advantage on an enemy who is restrained by these nets?
>>
>>51410823
I'd rule yes.

Shit, even in a regular net. Nigga can't go anywhere.
>>
>>51410812

It's a "When you make a ranged attack with this bow, you can expend one charge to add 2d6 of a Damage Type of your choice"

It lets you cast Chromatic Orb
>>
File: 1483881745445.jpg (80KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1483881745445.jpg
80KB, 600x315px
>>51410823
I mean, you already have advantage since they're restrained, but yeah, sure, whatever, it gives you advantage again which does nothing.
>>
>>51410823

I don't get it. Where's the torches?
>>
>>51410823
It's not even a ruling. Attacks against restrained enemies always have advantage.
>>
>>51410867
So you have to use it before the attack?

Eh, if it was more like '+1d6 to every attack you make' it'd be pretty damn powerful.

Still, there's extra burst potential in there and I'd certainly value it higher.

>>51410884
GFB quickened.
He is the torch.
>>
File: [Eurobeat stops].gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
[Eurobeat stops].gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>51410889
>>51410872
Shit, I forgot that. We've never really used nets in our campaign until now. Well thanks, anyway mates.
>>
>>51410894
>So you have to use it before the attack?

Basically, yeah. You get two-for one, and the ranger feels like he's adding utility and resource management to the party.

Sure, it beats damage on a Great Sword, but it's a rather slow recharge (1d6+1 at dawn) and at level 10, the shortage on magic bows feels pretty lame
>>
>>51410956
I don't know, at least the way I do things something like that would be pretty damn good.

It's a damage increase akin to perhaps at least a +3 bow for up to 6 (7) shots a day, though it doesn't give any real benefit if you make a lot of attacks aside from having more burst potential (A fighter could use it six times in a turn for a potential 12d6 total, but then again a fighter, rogue or probably even ranger should be using a hand crossbow unless they're going for volley, in which case they probably want a longbow if they can't be fucked to get a feat for heavy crossbow only giving +1 damage).
>>
>Dming lmop
>2 sessions
>party has managed to kill everyone who surrenders
>killed sulfate by not talking with the goblin
>arrived in town, picked a fight with red brands
>still has no idea about the plot
>one player is being a cunt, "ninjaing" loot and hogging a frog statue and trying to get it be alive/magical by asking the shrine of luck
>give my players a bunch of shrooms since that's what they want
>true neutral warlock tells me he plans on betraying everyone and destroying the world for his master
>9 Int, 18 cha
>>
File: d-ass.jpg (32KB, 530x421px) Image search: [Google]
d-ass.jpg
32KB, 530x421px
>tfw you will never hit 17 and get to use Quivering Palm on everyone
>>
How do you get the most damage out of a 10th level melee Eldritch Knight?

Been doing Booming Blade + Bonus Action attack for casting cantrip (So total two melee attacks+cantrip damage).

Idea is Spartan (Spear + Shield) with spells.
>>
File: [honks internaly].png (50KB, 209x193px) Image search: [Google]
[honks internaly].png
50KB, 209x193px
Alright one more question, does Hunter's Mark damage apply to attacks made with Green Flame Blade?
>>
>>51411046
Pole Arm Mastery is the answer to any "most damage melee???" question.

>>51411050
Yes, but only the original target, not the one the flame jumps to. Hunter's Mark specifies that you must select a creature and mark it as your quarry.
>>
>>51411016
>level one Monk's martial arts do 1d4
>less than a torch
>>
NEW THREAD

>>51411086
>>51411086
>>51411086
>>
>>51411050
Green flame blade requires a "melee attack with a weapon" rather than a "weapon attack". Those both sound like the same thing but honestly I never take anything for granted in this stupid game.
>>
>>51411091
>If you make a melee attack with a burning torch and hit, it deals 1 fire damage.
>>
>>51407888
Trips confirms, but seriously you can start the game at +4 in strength at level 1. The belts often go to a caster or rogue so they can lug around more loot and stuff.
>>
>>51411105
I think "melee attack with a weapon" is them trying to avoid saying "melee weapon attack" and begging for the question of whether "melee" refers to the attack or the weapon.
>>
>>51405809
Maybe the dubs get ability should make it automatically crit instead of just hit. It's not too often you have dis/advantage, and rolling the same number is only 2.5% probable then.
Thread posts: 389
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.