[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 452
Thread images: 48

File: absolutely kino.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely kino.png
1MB, 1280x720px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd. Source: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51341060
Do you think we'll get another DnD movie? Another DnD video game? Will they be shit?
>>
>>51347213
> Will they be shit?

Of course they will, unless you get Vin Diesel dumping a ton of his money into making one with a competent director.
>>
>>51343284
>Letting the dice decide the rules
No, the dice are there to adjudicate things with a chance of success and failure. What's possible is adjudicated by the DM.

>>51346514
Same here. If the DM isn't sure if something is/should be possible, he needs to be sure. Allowing a roll is the same as deciding it's possible.
>>
How to screw over wizards? Half Elf oath of ancients paladin with circe of power or holy avenger
>>
>>51347295
Forcecage.
>>
>>51347239
Crits already bypass the ability. That's why you have lucky, to reroll any crits that hit you.
If you find any way to give disadvantage (Hint: Darkness) then crits only have a 1/400 chance of happening anyway, so you don't even need lucky in that case. Kinda sucks if you're a barbarian and can't cast and use reckless attack so attacks against you have advantage, though.

The reasons you've stated are just false by RAW.
It's frowned upon because generally people don't understand how it works since it's easy to misunderstand.

I never said you only face huge threats, but the fact you don't always face huge threats only drives home the point even more that not all monsters will be as big as that and thus the ones that aren't as big as that can't do jack shit to you unless they crit.

If you still need it explained how darkness works, I can try a bit harder to find sage advice / quotes from the book, but I think "lf you are hidden-both unseen and unheard-when
you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses"
is more than enough.
>>
Anons? Inspired by a thread I saw elsewhere on playing Dragonlance in 5e, I took a shot at statting up new Elf subraces for the Krynnish Aquatic Elves. How overpowered are these results?

Elf Subrace: Deep Elf
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
Amphibious: A Deep Elf can breathe both air and water.
Aquatic: A Deep Elf has a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Shapeshifter: A Deep Elf has the ability to transform into the shape of an animal, a trait it can use once per long rest. This follows all of the rules of Druid Wild Shape, except that a Deep Elf can only assume one form through this trait: a dolphin (VGtM: 208).

Elf Subrace: Shoal Elf
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Amphibious: A Shoal Elf can breathe both air and water.
Aquatic: A Shoal Elf has a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Shapeshifter: A Shoal Elf has the ability to transform into the shape of an animal, a trait it can use once per long rest. This follows all of the rules of Druid Wild Shape, except that a Shoal Elf can only assume one form through this trait: an otter. Use the stats for a Weasel (MM:340), but give it a Swim Speed of 30 feet and the Hold Breath (15 mins) racial trait.
>>
>>51347303
Misty Step.
>>
>>51347325
Building on from that, I also wanted to see if it's possible to convert the Half-Goblin, as it replaced Half-Orcs in that setting. Back in 3.5, they looked like this:

[quote]
Half-goblins are typically confident, self-assured, and filled with a zealous drive to surpass themselves and their heritage. This may strike a curious contrast to their poor Charisma, but in truth, their expression of their own divided bloodline comes across to most others as overbearing, arrogant, or aggressive. This can score them points in societies that value or respect this kind of approach, but most of the civilized races of Ansalon see half-goblins as very obnoxious until they reveal more of themselves.

A half-goblin will see the bigger picture when confronted by a gulf between any two groups, so he pushes the issue whenever the question of taking sides comes up. He will suggest that a compromise can be reached or that both sides must come together to oppose a larger problem.

Half-goblins are larger and less awkward-looking than their goblin cousins, but those who grow up among goblins learn to move as they do—swift, short bursts, followed by sniffing the air and investigating the environment. Half-goblins from human towns or settlements never learn this sort of behavior.

Both types of halfgoblin are confident, rarely showing any sign of cowardice or even caution. Thus, while they may have the right skills for stealth, most choose not to use it unless there is a need.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Medium
Base speed 30 feet
Darkvision 60 feet
+2 racial bonus on Bluff and Move Silently
+4 racial bonus on Will saving throws to resist Charm, Compulsion and Fear effects.
Favored Class: Any
[/quote]
>>
My wizard keeps shit talking me saying he can one shot me and he tells me to shut the fuck up. How do I one shot a wizard as a fighter without him reacting?
>>
>>51347373
So, with that to fall back on, how does this look for a 5eification?

Half-Goblin
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Sneaky Git: A half-goblin is automatically proficient in Stealth.
Me Mind's Me Own: A half-goblin has Advantage on Wisdom saves vs. Fear and Charm effects. Additionally, it has Advantage on counter-checks against Intimidation and Persuasion attempts.
Nimble Escape: A half-goblin can Disengage or Hide as a bonus action on its turn.
>>
>>51347347
Counterspell.
>>
File: 1476310736160.jpg (256KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1476310736160.jpg
256KB, 1280x960px
Threadly reminder:

If you're DM doesn't attack your character whilst you're at 0hp, they're going easy on you.
>>
>>51347383
Tell him, out of character, that he's acting like a complete childish asshole. Inquire if the his parents beating him is the reason for his behaviour.
>>
>>51347398
Depends on the enemy the situation etc. but I agree mostly
>>
>>51347383
You could try being a fucking adult and tell him to do the same.
>>
>>51347319
>Crits already bypass the ability.
That still leaves the roc doing 50 damage a round at a level where the players have on average between 45 - 70hp unless you've got a +4 con mod and actively building for crazy health.

>The reasons you've stated are just false by RAW.
I'm usually not one to say that things are limited by actual physics in any RP system, but to basically ignore being completely BLIND is something entirely different. Hence what I said earlier, the only way this will work is if you have a very KIND DM.
This reminds me of AM BARBARIANS old PF barbarian build that could charge from 1800 feet away and deal 2k damage a round while being immune to everything. Yeah the rules stated it could be done, but it's entirely fucking retarded and any DM worth his salt will call you out on it.

> jack shit to you unless they crit.
Except pummel you into the dirt repeatedly because making the save only means you're put at 1 hp. Monkeys with typewriters, they're eventually going to crit you in the face.

>"lf you are hidden-both unseen and unheard-when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses" is more than enough.

Issue being is that you're completely blind so you can't gauge what the fuck you are attacking, and unless you have actual echolocation, you can't accurately gauge where to attack besides a general area.
>>
>>51347398
Does grabbing people at 0hp and using them as hostages to try to escape count?
>>
>>51347395
Can't Counterspell Misty Step, it doesn't have a somatic component.
>>
>>51347469
Then go ahead and kill his character in his sleep. Keep in mind that you'll be getting advantage and a crit on each attack, until he wakes up.
>>
>>51347325
Deep elf is fine. A bit weak out of its element, useful but not strong in its element. So basically exactly how it should be.

Shoal elf is significantly better (because the stat change synergizes better and the form is more useful), but mostly balanced.

>>51347373
Conversion should be easy, but why convert half-goblins instead of half-kender?

>>51347393
Couple of issues:
1. Going from -2 charisma to +1 charisma seems like an odd choice.
2. Player characters don't typically roll against intimidation and persuasion - says so in the book. They just decide whether to be intimidated or convinced.
Otherwise fine as far as I can tell. So how about:
>+2 dex, +1 con
>medium
>30 feet
>darkvision
>proficiency in stealth
>advantage on wisdom saves vs fear and charm
>can disengage or hide as a bonus action
That seems balanced and also flavorful.
>>
>>51347488
Can he cast a spell or can I OTK him in one hit? Also we are bffs in real life I just want to fuck him.
>>
>>51347478
Fine. In that case, Fly.
>>
>>51347478
Counterspell has no limits on verbal/non verbal.
>>
>>51347383
The wizard generally has the upper hand unless they've depleted all their spell slots for the day.

Kill them after they've used their slots.
Alternatively
Get a surprise round. During the surprise round, they can't use the 'shield' spell so you can go action surge on their butt after grappling and shoving them if you wish, provided you know that you can attack them if they misty step (misty step means they can't cast any other spells that turn) or try something like hold person (if you have indomitable you might be fine) or if your DM allows you to gag them, gag them for instant win.
A surprise round requires you to be hidden from the target and succeed a stealth roll against their passive perception. Do note that wearing clanky armour gives you disadvantage on stealth.

You could also just talk it out instead of trying to get into player versus player fights.
>>
>>51347510
that depends on levels and equipment
>>
>>51347510
He can't cast his spells if he's dead. After two/four crits (depending on whether or not you have extra attack yet), he will be.
You don't need to kill him in one hit, you need to kill him in one turn.
>>
>>51347510
>I just want to fuck him.
You can just ask him out to dinner instead of this awkward mating ritual.

To answer your question, using your round + action surge to attack even more, he'll be more than dead since you automatically crit while he's asleep.
>>
>>51347545
level 4 battle master dex based fighter no magic gear
>>
>>51347538
Misty Step doesn't stop them from casting an attack cantrip in the same turn, anon. But your last sentence is on-point.
>>
>>51347493
Many thanks for the feedback!

If it helps any, back in 3.5, Deep Elves also got Blur, Dancing Lights, Darkness and Obscuring Mist 1/day each if they had Int 10+. Maybe I should consider a (much downplayed, of course) SLA style trait for their 5e counterparts?

I never considered half-kender because, really, I'm not sure how it'd work, given Kender basically amount to "an entire race of chaotic stupid lightfoot halfling rogues". I might add that to the list next, though; half-goblins and these shapeshifting aquatic elves at least are usable in just about any setting.

I admit that it's an odd choice, and I'm not hugely happy about it myself; I mostly based it on the whole "5e says Charisma is the Force of Personality trait, and their fluff says they have very strong personalities".

I'm definitely open to reworking that... but not sure what to give it. +1 Con doesn't feel quite right. Maybe +1 Int, given the whole "see both sides of the argument, argue for compromise" thing from their fluff?

Thanks for clarifying about the PC vs. Intimidate/Persuasion checks. Definitely remove that.
>>
>>51347438
Again, damage per round doesn't matter. It's damage per attack that matters.

They'll eventually crit you, and then you just pop lucky again and negate the crit. Or you kill them before they crit. It's not like they're stopping you from doing anything every time they hit you and fail to deal any damage at all, so they might have to take several rounds before they can even burn one use of lucky. If you don't have lucky, because let's face it, you're probably burning ASIs on constitution for more ridiculous saves.. Then, eh, ask the paladin to heal you back to 1. Then the roc can start the whole shitshow all over again.

The way darkness works works as it does for the sake of not making it how you're expecting it to be, because that'd just be obnoxious.
A fighter and an enemy are both in darkness.
They're both at the same disadvantage and advantage so it cancels out. Fight carries on as normal.
What do you want, special rules that makes their fight take twice as long because they're not sure what they're hitting? 5e aims for simplicity, and they're not going to do something incredibly wacky.
Any DM that knows what's going on should run darkness like this. If nobody has devil's sight, it merely prevents things like line of sight spells, means you can't do things that rely entirely on sight such as noticing an enemy lighting a bomb, etc.

By your logic you automatically succeed stealth simply by being invisible and nobody can even attack you at all.
>>
File: 1436062471132.jpg (405KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
1436062471132.jpg
405KB, 1280x956px
>>51347441
>Does grabbing people at 0hp and using them as hostages to try to escape count?

They better get away, and he better get tortured.

>Tell the player he died, and to make a new character
>3-5 sessions later an NPC strides out of the darkness
>Clad head to toe in Dark Runed Plate Armour
>Glowing blue eyes shine from underneath his helm
>Oh shit everyone thinks, this is Dave the Dreadlord, trusted lieutenant of the BBEG
>He takes off his helm, his long blonde hair and handsome face is instantly familiar
>"Hi guys"
>>
>>51347581
A cantrip is laughable.

The worst that could happen is a 2d8 or 3d8 freezing ray that slows the fighter down if it does get past his armour.

The fighter should still be able to use ranged weapons or something as they catch up, I guess. A smart fighter would use cover and break line of sight to prevent the wizard being able to cast certain deadly spells.

The real worry is when the wizard doesn't cast misty step, because then they can cast things like hold person.
>>
>>51347620
I've had a somewhat similiar thing happen, when one of the PCs was apparently killed by vampire spawns, except they stabilized him and delivered him to Strahd.
They later killed their former comrade as a vampire spawn.
>>
How could I realistically add pike and shot to 5e
>>
>>51347571
just dual wield and menacing attack him.

if you don't kill him in one round, he's gonna have to deal with frightening afterwards.
>>
>>51347606
You can give Deep Elves a choice of cantrip from a short list, or a choice of 1st-level spell from a short list to be used once/day. But that might be stepping on high elves' toes a bit. Honestly, I think they're fine as they are, even if they're a tad overshadowed by shoal elves.

Half-kender are admittedly less useful outside of Krynn. But in-universe they're fairly legit - short and slim and nimble but with a much more human outlook on things, at least if they were raised by humans. Still make excellent thieves/rogues.

I like +con because it's flexible and can be justified because many successful halfbreeds/mules are pretty sturdy (half-elves get +con in 4e).
>>
>>51347607
>Again, damage per round doesn't matter. It's damage per attack that matters.
Fantastic, you're at 1hp, roc hits you for 27, you're facing a DC of 32.
>They'll eventually crit you, and then you just pop lucky again and negate the crit
You're assuming that the person in question has taken the Lucky feat.
>Then, eh, ask the paladin to heal you back to 1
Assuming there's a paladin around and he hasn't already gotten two rounded by the roc.

Basically anything but a barbarian will get two rounded more or less, unless they've got high con. That means when everyone else is rolling death saves, you can still be at 1 hp, get exploded, make the save, back at 1 hp, get exploded etc. Rinse repeat until you've gotten a crit to the face.

>because that'd just be obnoxious.
But that's usually what complete blindness is.
And any DM who "knows what's going on" generally don't let non-penalty blindness fly.

>By your logic you automatically succeed stealth simply by being invisible and nobody can even attack you at all.
You can't compare invisibility to complete blindness. If you have sensory organs that function in a satisfactory way, you have ways of noticing invisibility.
If you are completely blind, you're not going to be effective in a fight at all. Unless you've got blindsight, and you're not getting blindsight.
>>
>>51347213
I thought the last movie was pretty good (OP's pic related). And not just because it was 4E or had nudity. Those helped though.
>>
>>51347689
>>51347546
>>51347554
>>51347538
If he is sleeping can he just cast find familler to keep him safe I don't know much about spells I just hit things.
>>
>>51347788
Here's the real question - how many spellslots he will have after an adventuring day filled with battles?
>>
>>51347712
Come the fuck on. So you bring other senses into to the argument for invisibility but being able to hear movement in darkness is not possible to you?
>>
File: snakedance.gif (85KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
snakedance.gif
85KB, 600x700px
man you all sound like terribly unfun DMs
>>
>>51347836
how are you supposed to hear a gott dang thing with all that darkness in your ears
>>
>>51347856
http://www.strawpoll.me/12174933/r
Apparently half of us are terribly unfun PCs
>>
>>51347836
Scroll up a few posts.
"Issue being is that you're completely blind so you can't gauge what the fuck you are attacking, and unless you have actual echolocation, you can't accurately gauge where to attack besides a general area."

Sure you can hear movement, but unless you've actually got echolocation, you've only got a general area.
Or are you saying that if you went blind you could still point out exactly where they are?

I believe it's my turn to say "come the fuck on".
There's a reason why blindness tends to be regarded as a debilitating situation.
>>
>>51347704
Both are legitimate arguments; Deep Elves are supposed to be shapeshifting "Aquatic High Elves" in their fluff, but I don't want to make them too powerful.

That is a good argument for Half-Goblins being +1 Con. Plus, with the typical goblin lore of living in appalling conditions, you kind of expect them to be hardy... problem is, +2 Dex/+1 Con is what goblins get for their stat array anyway. Need to think on that.

True. Plus, really, who's it going to kill if I give Half-Kender a shot? Hmm... let's see... will post my first draft when I can.
>>
>>51347607
>Again, damage per round doesn't matter. It's damage per attack that matters.
Ok, but a Stone Giant does 19 with its club or 28 with a rock. It's challenge 7. That's DC 24 to resist dying, for a level 13 Sorcerer with a maybe +9 constitution save. Or say you do resist it, because you cast stone skin, the rock still forces a dc 19 save. That's tough, but not invincible.
>>
>>51347383
Buy a scroll of Silence. He'll be crippled without Verbal spells. Cast it while he's sleeping, clank up on him in your full plate, and start stabbing him. Advantage on your first turn, since he's prone.
>>
>>51347398
My dm has a houserule where you're basically out of the fight once you reach 0 health, because restoring health doesn't make you conscious again for a few minutes. So killing someone who is downed is basically a waste of an action.
>>
>>51347635
Shocking Grasp, then running away.
>>
Alright thank you every one on my Wizzard murdering advice I will be sure to green text the full story when the dead is done.
>>
File: 1328241487047.png (360KB, 538x477px) Image search: [Google]
1328241487047.png
360KB, 538x477px
>>51347922
Oh do the Wild Blood Thirsty Yetis of the Frozen North know about your DMs houserule?

>Better not maul and eat that ones intestines Barry
>It's not efficient action economy
>Oh you're right, better keep attacking that big guy wearing lots of armour like good monsters
>>
>>51348002
> Eating while you're being actively attacked
Are you suicidal?
>>
>>51347891
Well my take on the situation is the advantage/disadvantage cancel out represents that while you don't have the best idea of where they are they also can't tell when and where an attack is coming from. I fully accept that at this point you just have two people swinging wildly into the shadows but in doing so are giving an idea of their locations away.

I still want to know why you believe you can use your other senses to locate someone who is invisible more easily than you would someone in darkness. My 'come the fuck on' was aimed at how absurd it was to bring other senses into the mix yourself after you disregarded them so quickly earlier.
>>
>>51348002
>Yeah Bob the Yeti, let's munch on a dead guy for whole fucking six seconds while a massive armored thug hacks at us and spills our own guts
>>
>>51348002
I just love all those National Geographic videos where a bunch of animals are fighting and one of them just nopes the fuck out to eat some shit off the ground while the battle continues to rage around him.
>>
>>51348002
Do you think wild animals are content to start eating while being attacked? They aren't that dumb. And anyone with a brain would definitely know. Usually the only exception are things like gnolls which aren't exactly rational.
>>
>>51348039
I like those komodo dragon ones, where all the dragons sit around a buffalo, then one of them lashes out for a quick bite, then they all just go back to waiting. Then the buffalo drops dead, and they all launch into a feeding frenzy.
>>
>>51348037
>>51348023
>>51348052
>He thinks they don't have them in a corner
>Away from the battle
>As half the team has already been wiped

Literally had time to suck the marrow out of their bones whilst the other players ran away.
>>
>>51347517

Throwing axe.

>>51347525

Somatic, not verbal.

>>51347438

So only casters get to break the game, huh? Fuck off cuck.
>>
>>51348065
Yeah, that's several komodos around one buffalo that is already pretty much incapacitated, not one komodo that decides to snack on a buffalo corpse while his two pals fight four other buffalo who are actively stomping back.
>>
>>51348083
Well, yeah...
I was just making a reply about how I think komodo dragons are cool.
>>
>>51348025
Let's say you've got a camp out in the woods, and a sneaky roguefuck is trying to sneak up on it using invisibility.
What are the chances you think of him sneaking up without disturbing any of the local flora and fauna and not trampling grass or on dry leaves/twigs etc.

Sound will give you a general area, sight will pinpoint it for you. Most keen eyed adventurers will notice grass getting trampled and taller grass being parted.
Same thing applies to darkness, atleast in my opinion.
Hearing where they are gives you an area, if you could see them then all would be fine.

The thing about sight is that it's generally exceptionally good at picking up even the most minute movement, hearing less so in the scenario of you getting suddenly engulfed in darkness.
>>
>>51348096
They are pretty cool.
>>
>>51348078
>fly speed is 60 feet
>max handaxe range is 60 feet
>disadvantage on attacks beyond 20 feet
nah, nah
>>
>>51348078
>So only casters get to break the game, huh? Fuck off cuck.
If you've got a valid argument as to why Bumfuck McNobody, lvl 2 fighter has a way to see through a magically induced darkness that even creatures of the underdark cannot see through, pray tell.

But this is probably just bait. Atleast I hope so.
>>
>>51347383
What archtype and level? Champion, Battlemaster or Eldrich Knight?

If you're a BM and lowish level, Smashing him in his sleep with a greataxe for 2d12+2d8+STR and then action-surging to do the same again will pretty much kill him ease, of course he still won't shut up about how he can one shot you and you had to kill him in his sleep to win because you're a scrub.
>>
>>51347939
>what is attack of opportunity

A level 4 fighter will eat a level 4 wizard for breakfast
>>
>>51348178
not to mention the next character will just kill this guy and begin the cycle of backstabbing.

he said he was 13 though so none of this is really well thought out
>>
>>51347295
How far into the game are you? If you're at the Uber-rich stage and are willing to put some effort in you could try getting some shackles enchanted with antimagic field, if you can persuade your DM to enable you to do that. Fucks over those weak nerds if you can finally clamp them on them. Regarding your own self, no there really isn't that many ways to beat wizards. Dispel magic is your best bet but you can bet your ass they'll have contingencies for it, and in a straight cast/dispel battle they have more spell slots anyway. There's a reason so many of those "Lol I broke the game/fucked over that guy/did something awesome" stories star wizards.
>>
>>51348254
>what is misty step
disengages and can be used to get up high and rain simple nukes from above
>>
>>51348254
Not him, but what part of Shocking Grasp didn't you understand?
>>
>>51347517
Casting forcecage takes a turn. Misty step gives an extra 30 feet of movement. So long as that's enough to get paladin in melee range with wizard, just hit them twice with a greatsword and smite them twice as well. You're looking at 4d6 + 12d8 +10 damage at as low as level 13, and that's without a magical weapon.

Vengeance paladin is generally better though, since they've got a handy channel divinity to freeze the wizard's movement, as well as access to haste and hold person and dimension door while still getting misty step.
>>
>>51348105
The difference is with invisibility you are attacking someone who can perfectly see your attack attack coming. Him being invisible is purely a detriment to you so you have disadvantage on your roll where as in darkness you both have a problem and so are on even footing with each other.
>>
>>51348371
Both having problems doesn't equal to both all of the sudden being as effective inside complete darkness as they would be in pure daylight.

If that's the case, there is literally no reason to have the spell in the first place if it does literally fuckall to the situation except confuse the DM.

Also, the argument was that you can pinpoint the invisible guy. You can't do that if you are completely blind.
>>
>>51347398
Depends on the opponent. I make sure all my monsters have an agenda in a fight. This often results in them running away long before anyone runs out of HP; animals look elsewhere for easy prey, bandits retreat, scouts harass without engaging, that sort of thing. Enemies I'm running will only attack a downed opponent if they have a reason to do so, and reasonable creatures do not.

On the other hand, I believe that the Evil alignment refers to a creature that puts inflicting harm above its own self interest. Assassins and slavers aren't necessarily Evil as much as selfish and amoral (but seriously, there are other careers, chances are if you picked one of those you're the sort of person who enjoys hurting people). Your interpretation may differ, but when I'm running the game it's my interpretation that matters, and that means that Evil creatures get to be extra terrifying. Drop the leader of a bandit gang and the rest might flee, but drop the leader of an Evil orc mob and they'll keep attacking until they kill you or you kill them. And yes, they will happily take a swing at a downed PC if that gives them a better chance of hurting someone with their action, even if that makes it less likely for them to survive the fight.

Evil is scary. If it wasn't, Paladins wouldn't be fun.
>>
>>51348406
They are not as effective as in pure daylight though because they are attacking something that can't defend itself as well as it would if it was in daylight.

You use darkness to do things like stop people firing ranged weapons at you. If you throw darkness at them then they can't see you and it doesn't stop your melee dudes then running in and stabbing them.
>>
File: p961199516-3.jpg (186KB, 580x404px) Image search: [Google]
p961199516-3.jpg
186KB, 580x404px
Just DM'ed for my little brother and his friend, both 10 years old. Running LMoP.

It was a blast. Normally my brother is very impatient, but during D&D he was engaged in what was happening which frankly I was missing in my regular group.

They were also much more creative than my normal group.
For example:
>Managed to bait the bugbear in Cragmaw Hideout to leave the hideout by cutting off the face of a goblin and pretend to be a goblin who captured a human (using the chains of the wolves as handcuffs)
>Kill the bugbear outside by burning down the watch tower, which comes crushing down on it
>Charmed a goblin and told him to tell the other goblins that they're being attacked outside the cave.
>Flood the cave once the goblin come back after being tricked, killing most of them

I had to bend the rules from time to time, but it was very rewarding and fun for all of us.
>>
>>51348611
>They are not as effective as in pure daylight though because they are attacking something that can't defend itself as well as it would if it was in daylight.
Except "by RAW", advantage and disadvantage cancel eachother out, so there is NO mechanical benefit to casting Darkness in melee combat. None at all.

If you are completely blind in a melee fight with swords, you are perpetually fucked. If you are facing a blind opponent aswell, it turns into a wail fight and nothing will connect.
You can't just handwave "oh but he has as much issue as you thus any issue you have is negated".

As I said in one of my first posts on this retarded subject, I'd only ever use Darkness if you had two archers or casters on a high set alcove standing close to eachother. Anything other than that is just asking for trouble.
>>
>>51347213
>Do you think we'll get another DnD movie?
Eeyup looks like it is in developmental purgatory right now though... I actually loved the Book of Vile darkness movie. It showed great examples of characters dealing with moral issues like the paladin starting all goody-goody but having to hide it while traveling with an evil party, losing his faith and committing a fairly heinous murder (stuffing the guy in a bag of holding afterwards and tossing him in a lake), and finally coming back around to goodness without having forgotten what he learned when he was at his lowest. Great paladin arc. Other good stuff too but that is what stuck with me the most.

>Another DnD video game?
WoTC recently opened-up a digital studio so hopefully? CRPGs are coming back into style. Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, etc.

>Will they be shit?
Maybe. Hit and miss seems to be the order of the day with D&D licensed stuff.

>>51347276
It would be great to see famous D&D players be consulted on this. Weird Al, Vin Diesel, Andrew W.K., Steven Colbert, Steven King, etc. There are enough talented people who enjoy the game to help make a good movie right?
>>
>>51347347
Wall of Force. (Misty Step allows one to travel through the ethereal plane, but Wall of Force blocks ethereal travel.)
>>
>>51348306
Yes, but when the fighter is the one betraying the wizard and initiating combat, he chooses location. He obviously won't pick a spot where the wizard can just hang out out of reach. The fighter, as long as he can stay in melee range with the wizard, will outdamage his cantrips. If it were me, I'd set up the fight in the middle of a plain area at night after day of several fights. The wizard will hopefully have spent most of his spell slots, which makes him less likely to get off a save or suck spell (A single successful hypnotic pattern could ruin the fighter's day, since the wizard could then just mosey up and manacle him). Misty Step spends a bonus action to move 30ft, which he can then add 30ft movement and 30ft dash to, so even then the wizard could simply opt to flee. If he has two level 2 or above spell slots available, the fighter won't be able to catch up even if he burns his action surge.
Beating a wizard really does need some preparation. You can absolutely kill the wizard if he's trapped, even when he has most of his spell slots available, but the problem is that he's just too slippery. At mid-level and above he could simply cast Fly and just fly straight up out of range.
>>
>>51348700
>You can't just handwave "oh but he has as much issue as you thus any issue you have is negated".
Why the fuck not? I mean, really. Why not? Why would you put yourself through that?
>>
>>51347398
>If you are DM doesn't attack your character whilst you're at 0hp
>>
Same question as last thread since I really didn't get any feedback whether its good or not
Extended Spellists for sorcerers?
Some examples I got using some spells from the Book of Lost Spells from Necromancer Games
>Fire Drag
1:Command, Dragon's Gauntlet
2:Pyrotechnics, Aganazzar's Scorcher
3:Fireball, Air of Nobility
4:Fireshield, Firewall
5:Flame Strike, Immolation
>Wild Magic
1:Magic Missile, Color Spray
2:Luck of the Saints, Force Wave
3:Chaos Bolt, Blink
4:Rainbow Spear, Confusion
5:Rainbow Staff, Wall of Force
>Storm
1:Thunderwave, Sonic Boom
2:Warding Wind, Glide
3:Lightning Bolt, Call Lightning
4:Storm Sphere, Control Water
5:Destructive Wave, Innerstorm
>Cold Drag
1:Ice Knife, Frost Fire
2:Icy Hammer, Dragon Scales
3:Slow, Frost Shards
4:Ice Storm, Iceform
5:Cone of Cold, Zone of Ablation
Good or bad? In concept or in execution?
>>
>>51348839
Because he needs 'realism' in his magic goblin killing simulation.
>>
File: babababababababababababa.gif (774KB, 276x220px) Image search: [Google]
babababababababababababa.gif
774KB, 276x220px
Let's post your "I fucked up" moments from games, huh /5eg/? I'll start:
>be me, warlock, level 9
>party is wandering through a dense forest, our guide is telling us about how it's sacred, blah blah, elves, blah blah
>Character dislikes elves and dislikes elf lore even more, despite being an avid historian
>Irl I was just missing the info because I was answering the door for chinese food and told the DM to go on because all we were doing was walking
>get back, need to stop for the night, forest is very thick, tents would probably get fucked up if we tried to put em on the ground here, cutting down the shrubbery would take literal ages, and the fuckers are apparently immune to fire.
>Realise I have just the spell for this situation
>I cast blight on this huge tree, it'll die and wither and we can put our shit down and sleep
>DM gets a look on his face, the mischievous smile of a child who's been handed a firecracker
>As the tree withers and dies, you start to notice nearby trees are withering too. They turn grey and shrivel before crumbling into dust
>You suddenly notice, amid shrieks from your elven guide, that all the trees in the forest are in fact one organism
>Congratulations, you just killed an entire 900 acres of forest, terraforming the land and scarring it irreversibly
And that was how we got the 'Generic Elven city' on our asses in this game, needing to run for our lives from suddenly displaced elves whose city just withered and died. Good thing we had a headstart.
>>
>>51347319
>"lf you are hidden-both unseen and unheard-when
>you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses"
That only works if they can see you. (Or if they have blindsight or echolocation or something.)
>>
>>51348881
I know that's what people usually call it, but realistically, you can point at where you hear a sound even if you close your eyes. That's close enough when you're swinging a greatsword at someone who doesn't see you.
>>
>>51348842
Disagree. If a combatant drops an opponent they'd more likely be inclined to go after the other active combatants, not slit someone's throat or whatever while other people are trying to kill them. They're not thinking about resolving a PK
>>
>>51348700
>Except "by RAW", advantage and disadvantage cancel eachother out, so there is NO mechanical benefit to casting Darkness in melee combat. None at all.
Where did I say there was? My example was about keeping ranged dudes from shooting and you and adding there was no detriment to your melee dudes.
>>
>>51348915
>what is grammar?
>>
>>51348911
Yeah that's my stance as well but apparently that only matters when fighting invisible guys, not in darkness.
>>
>>51348732
>There are enough talented people who enjoy the game to help make a good movie right?

No. A movie about playing an RPG can't be good. You can find dozens of films where the characters enter into fictional worlds inbetween the real world stuff and it's shit every time because the fictional stuff doesn't matter because it's not real. It's all the shittiness of "it was all a dream" but multiple fucking times. Sucker Punch, if you want an example.

At best you could get a movie that merely has DnD players in it but is about something rlse, or a movie set in the real world but with DnD things occuring in it (ex: Jumanji). At worst you just end up with a terrible comedy version of Lord of the Rings but starring horribly casted but famous actors.
>>
>>51348888
It was their own damn faults, honestly. Single trees that vast are simply not sustainable, as you so single-handedly proved. If all it takes to destroy their entire ecosystem irrevocably is a mid-level warlock, they're doing shit wrong. A mid-level warlock could never destroy a dwarf mountain-stronghold on his own, or an entire human county with castles, towns and farms.
>>
>>51349061
To be fair, the premise of that particular part of the adventure was that we were discovering elven civilisation for the first time. And their society never discovered necromancy. Until then. I suppose it's aztec meets spaniards-esque in it's effects.
>>
>>51347901

Half-Kender
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Vision: Normal
Brave: Advantage on Saving Throws versus being Frightened.
Born Handler: A half-kender receives Proficiency in Thievery for free.
Ancestral Weaponry: A half-kender receives free proficiency with the Hoopak, Bollik, Sashik and Whippik.

Explaining myself...
Half-Kender in 3.5 got no ability score modifiers. I went with a Cha/Dex split because it makes sense to inherit both the Kender affability (only the half-breeds are better at it, because they're not hampered by the Kender personality) and manual dexterity.

The rest of their abilities amounted to free Kender Weapon Proficiency and watered down versions of the Kender traits - resistance to fear rather than immunity, weaker taunting skill, and decreased natural bonuses to thievery skills.

Not a huge amount of stuff to build from, unfortunately. I'll see if I can find the Kencyclopedia, it may have a more interesting version to work from.
>>
>>51348025
>swinging wildly into the shadows
You also have to keep in mind that magical darkness isn't just mundane darkness; it's nigh-impenetrable pitch blackness. You need a magical light source or special senses (devil's sight, blindsight, etc.) To see through it. Even creatures that are normally good at seeing in the dark are completely blinded by it's utter nothingness.
>>
>>51348888
If I knew any funny terms for "really really railroaded" they'd go here

>that "goblin" you just killed was actually a "psylin", mentally linked to all other goblins on the planet
>you have now genocided an entire race
>its dying effort was transmitting your psychic fingerprint (this goes through disguises and magical polymorphs) across the world
>all members of all goblinoid species are leaving their homes on a planet wide jihad against you
>you should have paid more attention to my world building before you killed things, anon
>>
File: Q0ol-Ylx.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Q0ol-Ylx.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>51348888
>a 900 acre elf forest that is actually a single organism and immune to fire is a nonmagical plant such as a tree or a shrub

So is your GM retarded or are you making this up

Either way only a shit GM wouldn't give you an "Are you sure?" or at least "Make a *insert knowledge skill here* check" if you could have reasonably missed something that important while getting food for the group.
>>
>>51349141
it's not that the plant was immune to fire, it was just so thick and wiry that fire took ages to burn through it. So I got bored and did that.
>>
>>51348888
An entire forest that is all connected is either in no way magical or only has 72HP, your GM is a dick. In that position I would probably have ruled the forest was akin enough to being a creature that the instant death clause wouldn't apply.
>>
>>51349166
>it's not that the plant was immune to fire, it was just so thick and wiry that fire took ages to burn through it.

>If I knew any funny terms for "really really railroaded" they'd go here

Apparently I should have used more "really"s
>>
>>51349189
Yeah, I thought so too, but desu our GM found the idea so funny he just ruled it out. He had like three sessions worth of stuff we were gonna do with the elves but then threw it out on the spur of the moment because he felt it was cooler this way. I respected him for it, and we all thought it was pretty funny.
>>
>>51349111
Fair enough.
I still say it's their own fault. What if something else had happened, like a locust swarm?
>>
>>51348979
I mostly agree with you especially in regards to Sucker Punch as much as I enjoyed that film.

Not looking for the whole transported to another world style film though just want to see sword and sorcery films come back into style. What I'm hoping for is a film that actually takes place in a D&D setting and tells a story about events that transpired there. As insane and unlikely to work as it may be I would love to see someone try to make Expedition to the Barrier Peaks into a movie.
>>
>>51349222
Fair enough, at the end of the day if the group is happy with something then it wasn't a bad decision, I retract calling him a dick.
>>
>>51348888
You did the right thing, anon.
>>
>>51348371
The other big difference with invisibility is that you're (probably) not blind while fighting an invisible enemy, so you have context clues in addition to hearing to try and discern where they are
>>
>>51349230
yeah, probably, I still don't know what their contingencies were because we literally destroyed their entire society in one day. Though it took like three weeks just for the spell to spread through the whole thing. My GM liked it so much he included it in our world's lore for elves, all of them now being disparate nomads with a burning hatred for necromancy.
>>
>>51349230
>10,000 years of Elven heritage and culture
>lost to a single emerald ash borer
>>
File: scary.jpg (90KB, 438x653px) Image search: [Google]
scary.jpg
90KB, 438x653px
How do you make Ravenloft spooky, uncomfortable, terrifying and horrifying?
>>
>>51348598
>Enemies I'm running will only attack a downed opponent if they have a reason to do so, and reasonable creatures do not.
>2 INTbeasts are reasonable
>>
Anons? Back in 4e, Dragon Magazine introduced variant strains of tiefling - the Broken Mirrors could curse everybody around them with bad luck once per encounter, and the Blightseers had a once-per-encounter gaze attack that rotted enemies' flesh and so made them vulnerable to harm.

I wanna convert these to 5e, if possible, but I'm not sure how to balance 'em. Thoughts on these attempts? I used the "Tiefling as Subracial" rules from That Old Black Magic.

Broken Mirror Tiefling:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Vision: Darkvison
Mantle of Misfortune: As a bonus action, you can erect an aura that covers an area of 20 feet. All creatures within this aura apart from you suffer Disadvantage on their attack rolls and, on a missed attack, can be moved 5 feet in a direction of your choice. The aura lasts until the end of your next turn. This power can be used once, and then cannot be used again until you have completed a short rest.

Blightseer Tiefling
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
Vision: Darkvison
Gaze of Ruin: As an action, you can unleash a Gaze of Ruin. When using this power, you can either target one creature you can see and impose Vulnerability to the next attack it takes before the end of your next turn, or unleash a 15ft cone of decay. All creatures in this cone must make a Constitution save. On a failed save, the creature takes Necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier + your Wisdom modifier and begins to rot. Whilst rotting, it must make a Constitution save at the start of each of its turns; on a successful save, the decay ends, whilst on a failed save, it takes Necrotic damage again. The rot continues until the creature passes its save or dies. Once you have used this power, you cannot use it again until you complete a short rest or a long rest.
>>
How does one add stuff to the 5megaanon tools?
I want to add the necromancer games stuff there.
>>
>>51347398
Most of the time I allow other players to protect the downed player as a reaction if they're within range.
>>
>>51349372
Horror and RPGs are incompatible, don't let the existence of Call of Cthulhu fool you.
>>
File: 1368671049018.jpg (748KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1368671049018.jpg
748KB, 1920x1200px
>Demigod of an Ancient Forest appears in front of a PC
>Gives them a prophecy and gifts them with a Magic Longbow carved with Forest Nymphs
>PC sells the weapon first chance he gets in the next town because it isn't a linear upgrade
>Other PC points out they could use it instead, still sells it

Suitable punishment from the forest? Something like beasts will always shun him til he atones?
>>
>>51347398
Mindless things and long term intelligent enemies and assassins and the like might do that, but I figure that if you are being waled on by 4 other dudes while you try to stab one that isn't a threat, it's a bit unnatural for the typical person to proceed.
>>
>>51349372

With time, patience, and interspaced with hope spots, only to be crushed by merciless disappointment

I'm playing it as a Glamour Bard, and it's pretty great. I'm basically manipulating the whole land against each other

The Wachter against the Vallakovich, the Vistani against the Wachter, the Abbot against the Vistani, and the Revenants against the Abbot.

I'm thinking I'll hit up the Lich next

Meanwhile, Strahd is too fucking busy running around picking up the hundred or so fabricated copies of the Tome of Strahd
>>
>>51349456
They are as long as your players buy in. That also happens to be all you really need and no system will help you as long as your players aren't up to be scared
>>
>>51349486
> Meanwhile, Strahd is too fucking busy running around picking up the hundred or so fabricated copies of the Tome of Strahd
Wow, your DM lets you get away with a lot of shit, but this is especially bad.
>>
>>51349471
It's the demigod of an ancient forest dude. Have him unable to enter forests, ever, forevermore. You don't like the forest? Fine, the forest doesn't like you. Invisible forcefield forever.
>>
>>51349419
>All creatures within this aura apart from you suffer Disadvantage on their attack rolls and, on a missed attack
Gonna need a duration on that, friendo
>>
>>51349509

Charlatan feature and Fabricate lets you do interesting things
>>
>>51349553
It lasts until the end of your next turn from what it says. It only works while they are in the Aura and the aura vanishes at the end of your next turn.
>>
>>51349553
>The aura lasts until the end of your next turn.
Read the next sentence next time dumbass.
>>
>>51349484
You're thinking of the typical real world person.

If all it takes is one hit point from any of the many sources of readily available healing for the wizard to start throwing spells again, ensuring he stays down is far more valuable than focusing on the enemies still standing. Better to get wailed on by four dudes than five.
>>
>>51349587
So down the guy than can heal first.
>>
>>51349587
Imagine you're playing a shooter with regenerating health, like Gears of War. You shoot a guy, then you shoot anyone who tries to help him up (because easy targets) then you shoot the guy on the ground, then you shoot other guys.
>>
File: 1445810723961.jpg (17KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445810723961.jpg
17KB, 600x600px
>>51347398
So is your ideal gameplay one where you die by the end of a session or two and just continually have to make new characters?
>>
>>51349563
Turning Barovia into your personal playground and the main villain into some chump is something I consider beyond "interesting".
>>
File: 1337746975465.jpg (108KB, 1284x949px) Image search: [Google]
1337746975465.jpg
108KB, 1284x949px
>>51349619
My ideal gameplay is a world with verisimilitude.

Death is a reality, and a consequence of poor decisions.
>>
>>51348072
Are you having a stroke?
>>
>>51349655
Why are you looking for reality in fantasy. You're looking for immersion, not reality. If we did a quarter of the shit we do in DnD IRL we'd all be dead or crippled.
>>
>>51349634

Barovia has always been a personal playground to someone Anon.

All I did was to go for the toys
>>
>>51349690
> All I did was find a DM willing to turn Ravenloft into a Monty Hall campaign
There, I've fixed it for you. Don't make this mistake again.
>>
>>51349655
Why don't also have each stab wound infect, heal for a couple of months if cleaned properly, and mace attacks break bones with no chance of proper recovery?
>>
File: 1477861049861.jpg (219KB, 837x768px) Image search: [Google]
1477861049861.jpg
219KB, 837x768px
>>51349655
If you want consequence from poor decision making, play a game that requires skill. Something where the parameters are set in stone and not adjusted by your socially awkward friends. Like chess.
>>
>>51349602
>So down the guy than can heal first.

That's EVERY GUY. Any monkey can tip a potion down someone's mouth, and any number of classes have access to one or more healing spells. There's no way to know at a glance - the guy in heavy armor could be just a trained soldier, or he could be a trained soldier of Jesus with magic healing hands. Or he could be a trained soldier who bothered to buy a potion in the last town.

>>51349616
That's dependent upon the assumption you can reliably down the enemies going to assist, which is a massive assumption. Ensuring the downed guy stays down is more important than *maybe* landing a good hit on his friend.

>>51349690
Your DM used fiat to you to bypass the entire point and tone of the adventure. It's not badwrongfun to turn CoS into a joke campaign if that's what your group likes, but it's not something to brag about like you've cheated the system.
>>
>>51349735
Yeah and while we're at it, keep track of every single lb on you and your non-special ammunition.
>>
File: (╹ᴗ╹ ).jpg (30KB, 405x358px) Image search: [Google]
(╹ᴗ╹ ).jpg
30KB, 405x358px
>>51349634
>>51349690
Considering the themes of Ravenloft, this would be the point where Strahd would reveal he's just having legions of Mindless undead (or heck, Vampire Spawn) sweep the country for it for him, punish a city or two while making sure you blamed for the assault. Just for fun he can then teleport over enemies to spawn camp you when you attempt to sleep, perhaps casting Silence on them ahead of time so that way the ones not assaulted will even know their friends are under attack. These show up both before and after your Long Rest, so you are hurt before you sleep and then once you wake up you're hurt even more before you even begin your day.
>>
>>51349634
Friendly reminded that in the original Ravenloft module you could pretty much instantly kill Strahd with Dispel Evil
>>
>>51349753
>That's dependent upon the assumption you can reliably down the enemies going to assist, which is a massive assumption. Ensuring the downed guy stays down is more important than *maybe* landing a good hit on his friend.
Good point. Better use a fireball.
>>
>>51349719

I suppose if you only ever play D&D to crit hard and win, I can see how you'd think that.
>>
>>51349753
> Your DM used fiat to you to bypass the entire point and tone of the adventure. It's not badwrongfun to turn CoS into a joke campaign if that's what your group likes, but it's not something to brag about like you've cheated the system.
This.
>>
File: 1457029987895.png (646KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1457029987895.png
646KB, 800x900px
>>51349735
I have used infection but its cured by lesser restoration, and I have broken a players back and made him a cripple for a sessions to help them fear Giants.

>>51349756
>He doesn't know his encumbrance limit
>He doesn't ask about the weight of every item

>>51349680
Why are you trying to escape consequence for your actions? Fuck up, get killed, roll smarter new characters.

I'd rather be playing WFRP, not Power Fantasy fifth edition.
>>
>>51349471
Merchant/next random adventurer who buys the bow becomes hero of legend
>>
>>51349787
> Oh, I've been called out on the fact that my tricks would never fly with a DM, who actually understands how to run this campaign.
> Quick, better call him a rollplayer, who is too brutish to understand by intricate plans and quick wit!
Nice try, anon, but as you see from the replies to you, no one's buying your bullshit.
>>
Does the feeblemind spell really have any purpose other than to sadistically fuck someone's life up for a while? Any strategy to it?
>>
>>51349828
Shut down casters.
>>
File: Where all the virgin wimmin at.jpg (16KB, 384x202px) Image search: [Google]
Where all the virgin wimmin at.jpg
16KB, 384x202px
>>51349791
>>51349757
Yes. Farces are fun but it isn't really Gothic Horror then, just a fun and silly romp.
The books for them do always say that the party needs to be in the right mindset though. If they don't want Gothic Horror, you can just play everyone as an idiot and just have CoS or other Ravenloft games be Blazing Saddles: DND edition.

Which, to be honest, sounds pretty fun too.
>>
>>51349809
I'm not looking for Dark souls man. I just want to play DnD and forge a legend for a while. Why do you want your characters to die so badly?
>>
>>51349757
>Considering the themes of Ravenloft, this would be the point where Strahd would reveal he's just having legions of Mindless undead (or heck, Vampire Spawn) sweep the country for it for him,

>Strahd getting so triggered he breaks all his toys in a fit of rage

God wouldn't that just be absolutely grand.

> punish a city or two while making sure you blamed for the assault

I don't care. It's Barovia. Almost none of them are real people anyway, and those who are will just reincarnate into a new meat suit five minutes hence, and I'll just pop into a new identity
>>
File: DeepSpooky.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DeepSpooky.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>51349372
Have something stalking them. Let them get curious and leave a hook or something that lets them find out what it is, and it is absolutely something that would destroy them alone, and maybe as a full party, but it's a cautious and sneaky thing and isn't going to attack unless it sees an opportunity. I had a group of 4 level 2s so paranoid of a bugbear last night that the warlock was literally blind firing EB into the treeline after a perception check revealed that something was in the bushes.

"A blast of dark energy streaks from your hand....*dice* and hits a tree. The tree shatters from the force and falls over."
"Did I hit anything?"
"You hit a tree"
"Did I hit the bugbear?"
"The movement has stopped, but you are unable to tell if there is anything else there without approaching closer."
*wakes up the rest of the party and deliberates for a few minutes before choosing to stay awake and investigate in the morning*

Hit them with random periodic perception checks, even if you don't have anything. If they score high, give them a little flavor like, "You hear a faint scraping sound, a distance behind you as if from a [monster appropriate feature]."

Once you've clearly established something nasty is around, ask them if they want to set up a watch rotation every night in the field. If they don't set up a fire or otherwise take precautions, each night hit a random person on watch with a perception check, or people on watch with a progressively more difficult CON check each night to resist falling asleep, if they start setting up multiple people on watch (to keep each other awake), implement a light fatigue penalty during the day, progressively getting worse every couple days. If someone falls asleep, have the creature try to move in and kidnap a party member.

If the party gets in trivial fights, have the thing come at them from behind, but withdraw quickly if/when the party focuses on it. Never let them forget that something nasty is out there, waiting.
>>
File: Dracula.jpg (106KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula.jpg
106KB, 500x400px
>>51349852
> Missing the opportunity to make a "Dracula: Dead and loving it" joke
Anon, I...
>>
>>51349847
But the 30 days of retardation part?
>>
>>51349809
Please go back to /osrg/. Some of us have figured out that tomb of horrors isn't as fun the third time and that there's more than one pillar of dnd.
>>
>>51349898
Shut down NPCs, since PCs are permamently retarded by default.
>>
>>51349866
Calm, measured and effective response sounds different from a fit of rage.

Silenced undead though, dick move. They could just rob the party every night while they're asleep. Every single time they sleep.
>>
>>51349509
I don't see anything wrong with letting the PC do something like that, but even if Strahd can't easily see through the ruse, he should have some minions on search duty. That's what minions are for.

As an extra punch, make sure the minions are unnecessarily violent and cruel, so all the weak common people they come across have to suffer interrogation and torture because some jackshit bard decided to play a prank on the vampire lord.
>>
GUYS!! WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE RULES FOR FAR REALM SHIT?!

I looked for ages and turned up nothing. Am I just being retarded?
>>
>>51349809
Then why don't you play WFRP instead of trying to twist a Heroic Fatnasy game into what it isn't?
>>
File: Bane.jpg (123KB, 494x411px) Image search: [Google]
Bane.jpg
123KB, 494x411px
>>51349809
>broken a players back and made him a cripple for a sessions to help them fear Giants
>>
File: blazing lels.png (599KB, 1028x675px) Image search: [Google]
blazing lels.png
599KB, 1028x675px
>>51349913
Kek
>>
>>51349877
This is some of the worst advice I've ever read.

>How do I instill a sense of dread into my players?

>Train them to roll perception checks every five feet or face punishment
>throw constant threats at them in order to make them "paranoid"*
>punish them if they don't act afraid of your vague threats
>punish them if they do act afraid of your vague threats

>*it's not paranoia to think you're being followed if your DM is constantly stopping to say "you hear something following you"
>>
File: 1465362112073.gif (80KB, 611x542px) Image search: [Google]
1465362112073.gif
80KB, 611x542px
>>51349931
Because I DM for two groups and they want to play 5e.
>>51349860
Be as powerful and glorious as you want but be prepared to face enemies that can, and will try to kill you.
>>51349907
>I'm only having fun if I'm a special snowflake race like Tiefling/Tabaxi/Goliath/Aarakocra/loli and everyone comments about how pretty and cool I am
>>
File: mindfuck campaign.jpg (549KB, 1905x1413px) Image search: [Google]
mindfuck campaign.jpg
549KB, 1905x1413px
>>51349983
Something to make your players paranoid is to pass them notes and tell them not to tell the other players what's on them. Then they'll kill each other for you. Like this story.
>>
>>51350004
>Because I DM for two groups and they want to play 5e.
Have you tried talking to your players?
>>
>>51349983
This is how you actually do horror in a ttrpg. I don't know what lies you've been telling yourself, but you Have to mess with the player, not the character.

Do the reverse, and you get CoC.
>>
>>51348937
not arguing the guy I quoted but the idea too lazy to scroll on mobile but holy fuck
curb your autism haha wew lad
>>
>>51350004
>>51350036

Or actually DMing the game they want to play? Or telling them to fuck off and find someone who will dm the game they want to play and then dming the game you want to play with people who do?
>>
>>51349881
I never watched that, but from my understanding it isn't nearly as good as Blazing Saddles.
>>
need opinion on balance for this not-goliath-firbolg

+2 Str, +1 Wis
Powerful Build
Resistence to Cold damage
Speech of Beast and Leaf (same as Firbolg)

and would you add stone's endurance (as goliath) or +1 Con?
>>
>>51350085
Seriously. The amount of DMs who hate being a DM is insane. Why they hell do people keep doing this shit if they don't like doing it?

If you don't enjoy it, that lack of passion is probably influencing your product and you're probably producing mediocre games anyways.
>>
File: 14586755672331.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
14586755672331.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>51350085
>>51350036
>Whiteknighting my players on an anonymous message board

They're fine anon, there's only been one TPK in the past year.
>>
>>51350004
I think that permadeath is a great way to heighten the tension and drama of your games. Imagine how many stories would be made completely uninteresting if death wasn't final and meant basically nothing.
>>
>>51350146
>Whiteknighting
inigomontoya.jpg
>>
>>51350152
Yes, but you should allow at least one chance, in case of a legitimate fuckup, or if the allies are legitimately trying to get him/her ressed immediately and utilising necessary power to do so. That said, after four or five ressurections it becomes a pretty boring story.
>>
File: 20160425_CriticalRole_feature.jpg (403KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
20160425_CriticalRole_feature.jpg
403KB, 970x545px
>>51350183
>after four or five ressurections it becomes a pretty boring story.
>>
>>51350224
I haven't really watched that show, episodes are too long, could you explain the reference?
>>
>>51350048
No, that's the exact opposite of what that post described. That entire post is fucking with characters but not players.

It's the kind of bullshit that's fun for the DM but isn't for the players. "It's paranoia, they hear all these random sounds and think it's always the monster! They're so unhinged! They can't directly fight the monster so it's scary, just like all the youtube analyses of Amnesia I watched said!" But no, they think every sound is the monster because it's a fucking RPG and they only hear what the DM tells them they hear. If they choose not to go on watch, you kidnap their characters, if they choose to go on watch you grant them levels of fatigue? That's supposed to put your players on edge? That's the sort of shit that would be absolutely terrifying for the characters in the situation, but for a player it's just annoying.

>I had a group of 4 level 2s so paranoid of a bugbear last night that the warlock was literally blind firing EB into the treeline after a perception check revealed that something was in the bushes.

Gee, you don't fucking say!

>warlock, roll a perception check
>you see something moving in the bushes
>by the way don't forget a monster has been following you and attacking you periodically for days
>"I try to shoot the monster. Did I hit it?"
>You hit a tree! But there's nothing there! Or is there...?! Hah I'm such a good DM you're so afraid right now!
>>
>>51350146
>It's so much better I run a game no one enjoys instead of a game I want with like-minded people
>>
File: 1345352284440.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1345352284440.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>51350279
>It's so much better I run a game no one enjoys instead of a game I want with like-minded people

You seem upset anon.
>>
>>51348693
>10 years old
>cut off and wear face of enemy

Children are scary
>>
>>51350320
"Incredulous" is the proper word
>>
>>51349131
Hobgoblins and bugbears wouldnt give two shits about all goblins dying tho
>>
File: 6.jpg (249KB, 904x573px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
249KB, 904x573px
>>51350336
It's ok anon, I'll keep running two games a week with 6 players who begged me to be their DM and literally bought the book for me.

I'm sure you get to play a lot right?
>>
>>51350403
you're milking it, dude.
>>
File: Kamen Rider Poker.jpg (189KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Kamen Rider Poker.jpg
189KB, 900x675px
Alright, I'm a level 5 monk and been enjoying the DM's campaign, but I feel like I've been underutilizing my kit as a monk in the roleplaying sense since this is my first Monk character. Any tips for roleplaying as a monk?
>>
>>51350419
Just report shitposters anon. You should know that by now. You should be able to recognize when people are being honest or whether they are playing pretend on 4chan.
>>
>>51350439
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

Here's a good example.
>>
>>51349913
Made me chortle
>>
>>51350439
What type of Monk? What Race? What god do you follow? What setting?
>>
>>51350463
No god, but Sun Soul monk who trained under a master in the wilderness for years. Setting is simple fantasy setting, just with the addition of magical trains, and an industrial infrastructure.

>>51350457
I would have done that if I wasn't already flavored as a hotblooded, yet serious, monk.
>>
>>51350506
Oh right, Variant Human.
I'm running the mobile feat.
>>
>>51350506
Sun Soul? I'm playing a Light Cleric now.

He's Lawful Good, but the flaw is that at heart he just likes to burn things. He always looks for an excuse to start fires, burn corpses and the like without the rest of the group know his pyromania.

Whenever it was his turn to cook for the group, he'd burn the food so they eventually took him out of rotation and gave him extra guard duties at night. Which is a shame since he's actually a little afraid of the dark.
>>
File: hai gurl, wanna get wet.png (200KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hai gurl, wanna get wet.png
200KB, 500x500px
>>51350558
>Light Cleric
>Afraid of the Dark

I kid, but that sounds great. I'm bad at really characterizing my characters for roleplaying and tend to stay quiet, but I really want to be more involved. I haven't quite gotten the hang of this Chaotic Good Sun Monk yet, but I did set up an alter ego thing that through our DM for a loop, and every so often I have to make a Deception check to keep my identity a secret. It's fun, but I feel like I could be doing so much more than that. Our own Wood Elf Light Cleric even uses an elvish dictionary and butchers it. It's very enjoyable.
>>
How gimp would I be if I decide to dip 1 level of Sorcerer on my Lore Bard?
>>
>>51350653
Depends, what's your plan?
>>
My DM notes in general are a goddamn mess and I need to re-make them. I remember seeing a version of OneNote with D&D rules that had tabs and links and stuff, but the version I got with my computer looks nothing like it. Is that a different program or just a bunch of plugins for it. Also, can anyone suggest alternatives for note-keeping?
>>
Help me out /tg/. How would you stat variant spells of Flesh to Stone? The party has been bluffing its way through some not too bright bandits by threatening to cast "Flesh to Bees" on them if they continue their wicked ways, and high intimidate/deception rolls have allowed this to succeed so far. But it's had me wonder what such a spell would actually do. What do you fellas think?
>>
>>51350666
Melee lore bard with shillelagh and GFB or BB. Dragon sorcerer would help a lot.
>>
Why is grappling so boring?
>>
>>51350852
Because they don't want grappling rule mess like 3.pf.
>>
>>51349860
>>51349931
What you are heavily implying by taking this stance is that you expect to be able to do incredibly amateur and dumb shit regularly and receive no punishment. You want to play with the Plot Armor that is the current system of EXTREME forgiveness that most scrubby DMs use.

I have seen this and many things like it.
>1st place initiative
>I'm a fighter hurr
>wow combat is starting and I'm 80 feet away
>the rest of party is even further away and only 1 other person will be able to interact with the enemies this round
>I can't get in range to swing
>I can't get in range to throw muh javelins without disadvantage
>guess I will take the Dash action and move to within 20 feet of the swarm of enemies that rolled initiative just below me
>group of enemies begins taking turns
>DM only puts one on the fightard
>has all others move past and do nothing
enemies were sentient, intelligent creatures

This faggot should have been killed. He should have taken multiple attacks and been put down, and then stabbed in the throat by the spear of something that hadn't gone yet. Good luck making your 3 successes without 1 failure, retard.
>>
>>51350937
>You want to play with the Plot Armor
If you don't you get rid of Hit Points
>>
>>51350937
There's more than one approach to gaming and whichever you should use depends entirely on your tastes and the tastes of the group.

It's not inceivable that the group likes Fantasy Fucking Vietnam and whenever you make a mistake you get killed. Then when you charge at a group of enemies without backup, you get javelined to death

Maybe youre group likes heroic fantasy. Then when your champion strides alone at a group of enemies, their own champion goes forth and they have a duel

Both are just different approaches, neither is more or less valid, only more or less appropiate for your DM and your group
>>
>>51350243

They've had 5 resurrections (to be fair 2 of them were the barbarian),but it's still interesting to watch. But most groups aren't a bunch of trained actors. Also Mercer doesn't run resurrections as "You expend the spell and components, they come back". It's more of having his players expend the spell and components, then three people do something to call the deceased back to life, from pouring ale down the barbarian's throat to making a deal with the god of death. The DC starts at 10, for each success reduce by 2, for each failure increase by 1. Then roll a D20. If you fail to call them back, that's it
>>
What are some good one liners for a smug thief to say after they steal/get caught stealing?
>>
>>51351127
>The DC starts at 10
And increases by 5 for each prior ressurection
>>
>>51348406
The detriments for actual AC vs Attacks should cancel out as has been discussed already.

The missing component is how a person knows what they are swinging on. A 1v1 would present the least confusing situation since both actors would be reasonably good at determining at least a direction of their enemy.

If there are multiple players/enemies in the darkness, then everything should only be able to attack squares but not actual targets. If the DM is using Theatre of the Mind then they may call for dice rolls to determine targets, for example:
1-5 nothing
6-8 enemy
9-10 friend

So it may cause things in the darkness to strike allies. The first round after the darkness appears they will have the best idea of the positions of things (and probably know exactly). But as each actor moves things will become more uncertain and chaotic. I don't think attacks of opportunity should be allowed, and most other reactions should be limited, such as casting Shield.
Rather than advantage + disadvantage there would be a better way to abstract this, yes, but it would require a new set of rules.

>Everything in the darkness loses any benefits to AC provided by Dexterity.
>Attacks receive a -5 to hit.
>If you can make multiple attacks and successfully strike a target, any subsequent attacks made upon the same space do not receive a -5.
Anyway, too complicated for 5e, so the advantage/disadvantage rules do a good enough job of abstracting the disadvantages of fighting in darkness. Advantage is used to abstract the concept of either making a very precise swing, or making a swing on a target which can't defend itself well. It's a roll always thrown by the attacker but in the case of "a target which can't defend itself well" it's really representing disadvantage to the target's AC. But since AC is static and not rolled for, it doesn't seem palatable in the situation of combat in darkness.
>>
So I know Sorcerer/Paladin is going pretty strong, but I'm planning on making a Warlock/Paladin for thematic reasons, what level spread would you advise? Going with Undying Light as the warlock patron.
>>
File: failsafe.jpg (151KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
failsafe.jpg
151KB, 760x596px
What's the best way of making a character sheet on a computer so that you can keep updating it and changing it as you progress? Fillable PDFs seem kind of clunky
>>
>>51351420
Excel?
>>
File: themanbirds.jpg (98KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
themanbirds.jpg
98KB, 400x225px
>when you find the city's Kenku ghetto
>>
>>51350983
Hit Points abstract your ability to stay in fighting shape. When they drop to 0 you're so fucked up you can't do anything, but you aren't dead. I think everything should get some kind of detriment for being on low Hit Points. CERTAINLY if they are at 1 they won't be able to stand up and continue as normal.
Presently, the singular disadvantage of fighting on 1 HP is increasing the odds that you are instantly killed, and it's not likely at all.

>>51350937
I want to add to this. Taking ideas to logical extremes is a good way to examine how retarded they are.
>player character insists on entering a goblin lair by himself
>does so
>fights dozens of goblins
>kills many of them
>reaches 0 HP and is "downed" / unconscious
>goblins stop attacking him, possibly transporting his body somewhere but don't actually confirm if he's alive or dead
>CERTAINLY don't stab him more than the exact amount necessary to render him unconscious
>player succeeds his saves and is stable
>regains 1 hit point after 1d4 hours
>wakes up and begins killing goblins again
>is downed again
>succeeds on his saves again
>time to wait another 1d4 hours to wake up
>he hasn't returned and his party is now on their way to rescue him so I guess the DM shouldn't kill him because it would be unmonsterly to assure a downed enemy isn't going to be able to get up and put a greataxe in your back

Even on a battlefield, a creature with a concept of mortality and vital forces and "killing" outside of hunting prey, i.e. an intelligent creature, WOULD take the time to confirm a kill unless it was terribly inconvenient. Just because other enemies are nearby doesn't mean it wouldn't. Certainly, anything that knows about healing magic would prefer to confirm something is actually down permanently.
>>
I made the backstory for my paladin but I don't know what God he should follow, should I post it and see what you guys think?
>>
>>51347213
Reposting this just once since it seemed popular last thread.
>>
>>51351726
Paladins don't necessarily need to follow Gods
>>
What's a cool magic item to be found in a Hag's cave?
>>
>>51351767
Yes but my character probably would
>>
What are some interesting ideas for traps to spring on low level players, and that something goblins could think up.
>>
>>51351726
Oath
Alignment
Overall themes of the character
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 355x355px
>>51351726
Fuck it I'll just post it

Father was a poor blacksmith, he had to make his own charcoal.
He would use the same hammer axe to cut down trees, split wood, and hammer metal
He couldn't afford better tools
We lived on the edge of town by the woods
Bandits where a regular problem
One day they came for us
I hid under the bed we shared
My father tried to defend us with his hammer
He failed, I saw him die
I looked the man that killed him in the eye
He saw me but just walked away
I hated him
I took up my fathers craft for a time
Every free moment I had I spent getting good with that hammer
A 2 years later the bandits came again
They weren't after me but as they walked past I charged the man that killed my father and crushed his head from behind
Then I ran, the other bandits after me
I hid in a cave for a few day.
The bandits burned down the entire town because of me.
I couldn't go back.
Ether the townspeople or bandits would try to kill me
So I wandered
I had no reason to live, I had my revenge and lost my home.
I just wandered
I remember the first time I stole food
I had never stolen anything before, theft was the deed of bandits
But I was so hungry
It was from the back of an inn
A crate of cheese was left for some reason
I took an entire wheel
1/2
>>
>>51351853
That wasn't the last time I stole, and each time the justification was easier, and the items shifted from needs to luxuries to money
I remember the first time I killed
It was an old man who found me in his house ripping his lock box from his wall
It was just one swing of my hammer, it was so easy.
I stopped caring
I continued like this for longer than I'm willing to admit
It change when I was robbing a blacksmith on the edge of town, I had given up on stealth at that point
I barged in, the man tried to fight me off but he wasn't a fighter.
He was on the ground bleeding and dead
My eyes wandered to see a little boy hiding under a bed
I looked at him and he looked at me
And everything clicked
I had become everything I hate
I walked away in a daze
I found myself on the edge of a cliff
As I fell I saw my fathers hammer falling with me
I thought of all the things I did with it, of how my father would think of the man I become.
I hit the ground and was dead on impact
Two days later I woke up in a church, a traveling paladin had found me, recognized me from my wanted posters and for some reason he dragged me to a church and payed for my resurrection
He told me that everything I was died with me and that God had given me a new life. I had been given a second chance.
I took it
And with this hammer, my fathers hammer I will forge a righteousness out of this land of sin
2/2

Lawful good
>>
>>51350937
Bravo, well said.

Its funny how upset players can get if you ignore their tanky high AC heroes and go for the squishy casters.

Objectively if a creature with multiattack hits a downed hero they are dead, two auto crits, 4 death fails.
>>
>>51351811
All I have is the backstory and alignment I don't know what oath fits it
>>
>>51351127
>it's still interesting to watch.
>Watching old episodes
>Realizing Mercer was going easy on them to secure that Nerd Money

Shit people are so obsessed with their characters it'd be financial suicide to actually kill any of them.
>>
>>51351898
That's vengeance.
>>
>>51351905
But I plan on doing a convert and redemption and less on smite because if he can be saved anyone can
>>
>>51351881
>But muh aggro
>"I don't give a fuck about your 'aggro', "geek the mage" has been a viable and powerful tactic for centuries. Just replace "Mage" with "Tactician" and you have the same thing in real life."
>>
>>51351769
The book of Vile Deeds
>>
I'm playing a chaotic nuetral sorcerer.
>>
>>51351237
Matt changed it after the cast lost their shit about it being 5, so it's like +2 or 3 now.
He should keep it at 5 though.

>>51351903
As long as they don't TPK people will keep watching. Some of the characters don't have much of an arc going anymore - killing them off might actually be exciting.
>>
>>51351769

The Book of Erotic Fantasies
>>
>>51347213
>Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd.
Warlocks and Sorcerers will get 1 subclass each because of their previous UA material and Wizards will get 4.

How hard will you rage?
>>
>>51352004
>the single most evil tome to ever be created
>so evil it will survive through fucking universes so long as an evil entity still exists
>just some random hag has it
Unless you're going for a Golum-esqe feel for it, it would be very silly to have it anywhere but the most heavily guarded dungeon to ever exist or in the dread lich's library just collecting dust because he likes having it.
>>
File: korn+45[1].jpg (57KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
korn+45[1].jpg
57KB, 1024x768px
>>51352011
>chaotic nu etral sorcerer

Boom na da noom na na nema
>>
>>51352015
Did Scanlan ever have his own arc?
>>
>>51352015
He did say that he was still tweaking the resurrection DC, and it's a reaction from both cast and fans, not just the cast. I think the DC increasing by 5 is fine, so long as it decreases by 1 after that person stays alive for a week, back to the baseline of DC 10.

This stops Revivify shenanigans from occurring and still encourages players to participate in the resurrection ritual to help lower the DC.
>>
>>51351769
Ring of three wishes refluffed as a monkey's paw
>>
>>51352063
Sorta.

He had a real short one with his long lost daughter but it was only partially resolved.

In the last few episodes he's gone complete fucking madman and is currently becoming a drug addict. It's the best part of the whole show right now. Sam is a monster and a genius.
>>
>>51352034
Just give me some fucking Primal Paths already Wizards. No the extra totems do not count.
>>
>>51352063
I think Scanlan had his own arc pre-stream, but he has had several episodes and moments involving him. Mainly the stuff with his daughter, but also some really clutch saves in combat with Counterspell.

The episode where he solo burns a mansion full of soldiers and a lieutenant of the big bads of that arc was probably his first real "big dick" moment in the show.
>>
>>51352110
I'm feeling more for Grog
Dude's getting shafted left and right. Travis looks like he's trying his damnedest to keep having fun.
>>
>>51351853
>>51351877
Stop trying to write a novel. You're everything DMs hate.
Your DM doesn't care about your character's personal drama unless it impacts the game. He wants hooks.
A character is born at the beginning and dies at the end of each session, and the only things from your backstory that will matter are the ones that impact the game, either directly or indirectly.
Write facts.
>>
>>51348700
Unless you have Devil's Sight.
>>
>>51352110
I feel like Sam himself doesn't really know where to take Scanlan, a guy who until very recently was the quintissential, "max Charisma face of the party, I fuck anything I want," and is now struggling with having real actual responsibilities and a sense of guilt over his actions leading up to him joining with the party.

Think about it: Scanlan hasn't gotten any tail since he found out about Kaylie. For a man who used to boink anything with a pulse for most of his adult life as often as he could, he's got some serious blue ball syndrome going on.
>>
>>51351945
"Geek the mage" is the reason I always try to disguise my spellcasters, even if it's just something as simple as carrying a shortsword or disguising the staff as a broom. Or, hell, decorate a wand with a dagger hilt and keep it stored in a sheath, like a holster.

Always bring a wand to a knife fight.
>>
>>51352041
It's a valid, albeit "hurr what lucK" kind of idea. It could be that the tome was destroyed centuries ago and has just this day manifested in the hag's cave. Since it returns to the multiverse in "some dark corner" as long as evil exists.
>>
>>51352149
he's a fuckin champ. Never complains, never metagames, just runs with it.

They're at the end game now and he's a martial character, so he's fucked. God forbid Vax give the guy with the least movement options the boots of haste. If they're going to make Grog a glorified potion jockey they may as well allow him to do it quickly. Bunch of shitters
>>
>>51352149
It's not even during the combat stuff too, what with the dragons flying to avoid the fuck hug giant gray guy with a fuck huge axe. A lot of the combat planning he can't participate in because of his low INT score, and you can just see it in Travis' face of, "you stupid idiots we need to plan out for A, B, C, and D, and we prepare for X, Y, Z scenarios" and he just can't.

When they had Will Friedel (I probably spelled his name wrong) on a few episodes ago he went full warleader tactician as they prepared to do a big siege/war fight, Travis' boner is damn near breaking through the table because Will's saying a lot of stuff Travis wants to say.
>>
>>51351853
MUH FAMBLY
>>
>>51352190
he's said in interviews that he hasn't thought about it very much and he kind of just rolls with whatever he feels like doing.

the drugs thing started as a joke and now he's using it as Scanlan looking for an escape from his newfound responsibilities and stress.

its so much more interesting than the other players blatantly romancing each other for the fan service. Laura and Taliesin even admitted that Vex+Percy would have likely never happened if it hadn't been for the shippers
>>
>>51352216
And you can tell Matt's trying to throw Travis some rewards for being such a good gamer; half of the items they've found recently are aimed almost solely at solving Grog's lack of mobility (specifically aerial mobility).

It's just that Vex has such a lady boner for flying stuff she won't give them over to anyone else. Doesn't help that his wife is playing Vex, so he's screwed either way no matter what he does.

Also, the last few episodes where Grog finds a Deck of Many Things and the resultant roleplay moments spawned from it are pure gold.
>>
>>51352149
Yeah, poor Grog. Travis is phenomenal at playing him but he does get bored quickly. Although I do love that when the party gets bogged down with stupid shit he's always there to leap without looking.

And Vex stiffing him on the deck of many things was funny but it was also pretty savage on Laura's part. Travis looked like he was ready to snap the table in half never mind a pencil. Homeboy probably got his shaft polished to a mirror finish for that one. Or maybe I'm just projecting cuz Laura is hot AF

>>51352190
I wonder myself how long he's been thinking of this stuff. The man is shit hot at the long game so it wouldn't surprise me if this was the plan for a while now. I think he set some of it aside for a while because a few of the other characters were hitting their own storypoints.
>>
Guys, I need help with a character concept:

A wandering "Spell-Slinger" whom is on the run from no less then 8 baby momma's who need dere Child Support....

How do I build with the stat array?
>>
>>51352311
Sounds to me like either a sorcerer or a warlock who's played with too many cult groupies.
>>
On Trickery Clerics, anyone here played on before, or just have any tips for me in general?
>>
>>51352311
Sorcerer, max charisma, dump wisdom and int, max dex
>>
>>51352311
Whatever you do, he needs even less Int than you have, because in the D&D world, child support (which doesn't exist) for eight women for a year would be the earnings you find in the loincloth of two or three dead goblins. You will literally spend more money being on the run than just tossing a few GP their way and saying "now never bother me again".
>>
>>51352285
The Deck of Many Things stuff is simply because Percy/Taliesin know just how fucking busted that item is. When there's a magic item that even Percy won't use, you know there's some bad juju involved.

I feel that in Vex's mind, she is protecting Grog from the item in question, it just sucks though. Keep in mind that Laura has said Travis loves taking risks, and this magic item is like giving him the ultimate game of Russian Roulette.
>>
>>51352284
matt should have let him throw that shit in the lava like he intended. Laura totally metagamed that shit and appeared at his side as soon as he happened to find something cool. The twins were a fun character concept at first but now they're the worst part of the group.

It's either Haggles McGreedypants or Mr. MUH SISTER and that's as deep as they get.
>>
Grog and Scanlan have always been my favorites. I wish Travis were at the helm of a more intelligent character though, just so I could see him really work. He plays Grog brilliantly but I want to see him play tactician, instead of just uselessly mumbling to himself or Laura when the party's planning.
>>
>>51352240
>Will Friedel
Kash is the best guest character tbqh. The spear is just so he has something to lean on - his real weapon is that bone-dry sarcasm.

>>51352345
Fair enough. When the item first appeared you could tell Travis had no idea what it really was. But telling him just seemed to make him more excited about it. I do wonder how far he'd push things though. Probably till a 4 int Grog that can no longer speak
>>
>>51352422
Watch the other shit he's in. He plays other characters and does them fucking amazingly.

Travis is the best gamer and RPer in the group.
>>
>>51352422
Watch the second one-shot that Liam runs (the rogue one). Travis is the smartest character in the group and it's amazing.
>>
>>51352422
I think if Travis plays another character, he will play a Wizard or Paladin (or Matt's Blood Hunter if that's allowed). The first lets him go full-on tactician and playing "the fun police," Paladin for the full-on, "holy warrior who's lived through 1,000 battles," and Blood Hunter for the edgy Bloodborne-esque monster hunter who protects the world from things mortals aught not know about.
>>
>>51352451
Didn't bad rolls shaft him there too? He was really good but bad shit kept happening.
>>
>>51352524
yup, he had a pretty solid plan to accomplish his goal and he couldn't roll higher than a 10 at the climax of the game.

didn't matter in the end of course

ffs that ending was so shitty
>>
>>51352553
I think they were on a time crunch or something that day?
>>
>>51352432
I think Travis will draw from the deck until he either gets something really, really bad (Donjon, Idiot, Ruin, Skull, Talons, Void) or really, really good (Moon, Key, Gem, the Fates).
>>
>>51352451
I used to think Travis was constantly bored based on how many snacks he ate during the game. Then I realized that 1) It's helping him get into character as Grog and 2) he literally has to take in a shit load of calories to stay that swole
>>
>>51352576
Probably. Either that or Liam wasn't comfortable having there be a winner and loser for the game.
>>
Admittedly, I'm still on Trial of the Take chronologically. Lot of content to go through and while I do honestly enjoy Critical Role, even keeping it on as background noise while I do other shit is difficult. I'd skip a few arcs but the minute-to-minute character RP moments are my favorite.

Percy killing all those orcs in his pajamas, butt flap down
>>
>>51352576
They were on a time crunch at the very end, and they dicked around too much with the PvP section, which gave the NPC enough time to return home magically and cast Ai-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting on whomever was left.
>>
After a month of Underdark world building we finally had our session zero.

GOO chainlock, Deep Stalker (revised) ranger, Grassland druid and a Gunsmith artificer

Three of them are completely new so this should be fun
>>
>>51351743
Whoa, thanks.
>>
>>51352384
>Mr. MUH SISTER
Jesus Christ, Anon, my sides
>>
File: 1416944873186.png (189KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1416944873186.png
189KB, 400x240px
>>51352646

Glad you're interested. Drop some feedback on it if you want to as well. I know FE is a common setting people want to play and with my experience with the games and tabletop in general the conversion was pretty quick to make
>>
File: 1454324869455.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1454324869455.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>>51350224
>tfw you start following them on Twitter
>turns out they're all a bunch of California Cucks (especially Liam) getting salty over Trump
>except Matt and Travis

D I S G U S T I N G
>>
>>51352766
Matt wasn't happy either, he just was wise enough to not get visibly angry
>>
File: pepeglas.jpg (52KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepeglas.jpg
52KB, 657x527px
Can you guys help me with a build? I'm thinking of a half-dragon barbarian
>>
>>51352766
I'm not sure what you expected.
>>
>>51352792
Brass Dragonborn Barbarian
Go
>>
>>51352697
I wonder if CriticalRoleStats has tracked how many times Vax has whined about his fuckin sister.

I'm trying to imagine what he was thinking when creating this character

1. I <3 vex
2. say fuck a lot
3. I HATE MY DAAADD
4. daggers r kewl

I guess this is his idea of a dark and serious character. Funny that's its almost a parody at this point. He even has a fucking X in his name for god's sake
>>
>>51352807
>(((Mike Mearls)))
>>
File: 195ni2mlgbdvdjpg.jpg (61KB, 636x368px) Image search: [Google]
195ni2mlgbdvdjpg.jpg
61KB, 636x368px
>>51352814
>Watching the vampire arc
>Liam gets knocked down
>Matt pulling the punches not even using Vamp Charm or attacking him
>Gives a literal 10 minute soliloquy about how sexy and funny his sister is
>"Remembering her laughing and smiling face as a child"
>remembering the time we played sexy elf slave and angry human master

>>51352807
Them to be smart enough to realize that their (((celebrity opinions))) just alienate people.
>>
>First session of the year for Sunday group
>New guy at table
>He's memeing in real life

Somebody fucking kill me.
>>
File: 1485015163162.png (338KB, 398x410px) Image search: [Google]
1485015163162.png
338KB, 398x410px
>>51352814
>"I walk away."
>>
>>51352766
>getting upset by people's twitter opinions

What are you tumblr?
>>
>>51348096
>>51348112
Two anons agree on something.
The prophecy is fulfilled!
The end is nigh!!
>>
I've been enjoying Heroes and Halfwits, even if it's all really amateur
>>
>>51349123
I'd say more dex than charisma, even if it does start looking like every other race out there. Not too important I suppose.
Thievery is no longer a thing, but you can give them proficiency in Thieves' Tools, which is very in-character.
Nice trolling with the weapons. Overall, 9/10 because you probably triggered someone.
>>
File: 1443795918316.png (190KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
1443795918316.png
190KB, 431x431px
>TFW the OoC racist is getting fed up with all the IC fantasy racism.
>>
>>51353061

This is half the reason I play with 4chan. Racism is not tolerated, it is encouraged.

>playing horse game
>literally the most racist group I have ever played with IC and OoC
>>
>>51353081
Fantasy racism is. Most people here aren't big on IRL racism.
>>
>>51353118

What's the difference?

Trigger Warning

Orcs = Blacks
Elves = Asians
Dorfs = Muslims
Gnomes = South Americans
Humans = Europeans/Americans

/Trigger Warning
>>
>>51353081
>>51353118

I had to stop playing Pathfinder Society because a guy said "Nigger" in front of the one black guy who routinely showed up. There are some moments simply too awkward to come back from.

Also it was some shit roleplaying.
>>
File: 1351307249931.jpg (134KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1351307249931.jpg
134KB, 460x460px
>>51353169
>Dorfs = Muslims
>>
Whats a cool or interesting class/race combination regardless of attributes? I rolled good stats for my next campaign and want to play something interesting. Things like tabaxi barbarians to play a fast Ajani like character or triton rangers with an aquatic companion
>>
>>51353187
That's just abysmally alarming levels of social retardation. Like, even I'm not THAT autistic.

>>51353169
>Dwarfs = Muslims
>Gnomes = South Americans
>Elves = Asians
>Orcs = Blacks
Whatever the fuck you're smoking, I'll have some.
>>
So, I am DMing and I have a Warlock player who has made his pact with Dendar the night serpent. I was wondering how often any DMs in the crowd use their warlock characters' patrons in their campaign, and if anyone has any good suggestions for incorporating Dendar in particular?
>>
>>51353187

the real question here is "was he being one"

Also it sounds like he didn't call him one, just said it. I get where you're coming from, but I still think it's a silly thing to chimp out over.
>>
Not sure if any of you guys are interested, but have a free system-neutral (ish) dungeon. Formatting's a bit wonky after trying to get the PDF export done, but it works.

>>51353039
>>
>>51353249
There was a 15 minute break in the game so the guy could apologize in front of all of us instead of going into another room or something. He apologized by saying that was his "xbox live talk" and that he wasn't actually racist. It went on for fucking ever.

But for real though it was mostly cause PS is pretty shit. At least where I was.
>>
>>51353282
>That's just abysmally alarming levels of social retardation
>>
>>51353282
He said (I believe) "let's kill this nigger" referring to some monster we were fighting.

Which is a genuinely distressing thing to hear in a southern accent.
>>
>>51353319

That is hilarious.
>>
>>51353118
Sure I'm not a racist. But white countries for white people.
>>
>>51353282
>Chimp out
Gu... guys... I'm not racist!

>>51353336
And then there's this asshole. Probably the same asshole desu.
>>
>>51353249
Asian guy here...

Shouldn't Asian be Gnomes instead of Elves? We're short and smart but weird?
>>
>>51353336
The white genocide has already begun.
You will not survive
>>
>>51351881
> geek the mage
> the mage is 16 STR 8 INT Wizard
>>
>>51353385
It's going to be horrific when the race war finally comes. Whities haven't got to use modern weapons in a real way.
>>
>>51353336
I'm not racist but Skyrim is for the Nords
>>
>>51353360
Jew here...
>>
>>51353360

Nah, elves are exotic with strict cultures that hold education and family above most things. Certain things are always expected, and they're harmlessly xenophobic. Sounds pretty asian to me.

Gnomes are dirty and lazy and good at lying and passable at manual labor. Their strengths involve taking advantage of other people and taking refuge in foreign nations because they refuse to evolve past war with kobolds in mudholes.
>>
>>51353443
>>51353360

Yes, these are just stereotypes, and an individual can vary widely from the what outsiders would consider the norm.
>>
File: IMG_20170120_151415.jpg (68KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170120_151415.jpg
68KB, 650x488px
>>51353345
>White people aren't allowed their own homelands
>every other race can control their own borders and have strong cultures
>asshole
>>
>>51353439
Jews = Goblins
Already canon by Warcraft.
>>
>>51353319
ahahahaha
>>
>>51353443
Yeah but gnomes are far too intelligent and productive to be South Americans.
>>
>>51353467
No, just retarded. Every single country has immigrants from other races. And when they treat them badly (see: Japan), people complain (see: Japan).

>>51353468
Ah yes, World of Racecraft.
>>
>>51353169
If elves are asian then what are the asian humans? What about asian elves (which are a thing now)? Are they double-asian?
>>
>>51353528

Cultural appropriation.
>>
>>51353527
All Asian countries are fairly anti immigration, it's nearly impossible even for married residents to become citizens.

People can complain about Japan, Japan don't give a fuck.

salty weaboo confirmed
>>
>>51353249
>>Elves = Asians
This one makes sense. They're animistic, xenophobic people with dainty curved weapons who make weaponcrafting and artisanry into an art form.
>>
>>51353590
>>>/pol/ and stay there
>>
>>51353418
This is actually pretty close to my actual character.
>>
>>51353590
Japanese Christmas cakes are delicious though
>>
File: IMG_20161218_091921.jpg (44KB, 540x348px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_091921.jpg
44KB, 540x348px
>>51353632
Lmao nah senpai. I'll continue to post in every 5eg.
>>
>>51353290
ty
>>
When does "surprised" end?

At the end of the creature's first turn?
>>
>>51353759
you got it
yaaaaaay
>>
>>51353806
So if I'm an Assassin and I sneak up and say I'm going to shoot an Orc with an arrow, we roll initiative.

If the Orc rolls higher, his turn ends before I can shoot him, thus Assassinate does not activate, yes?
>>
>>51353849
Yup
>>
>>51353849
The way I've played is that first attack would happen outside initiative, then nobody is surprised, then everyone rolls initiative.
Simply because that makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>51353937
You are doing it wrong, like 3.pf tard. You should feel bad and go grab some fox girl on your way back.
>>
>>51352034
If Sorcerers and Warlocks each get only 1, then Wizards don't deserve 4, they already have more than most classes as it as, and there aren't really any niches left for them
>>
Whats the objectively strongest Paladin Oath?
>>
>>51353979
I've only played 5E.
I've played with three different groups and they all inexplicably played that way.
To be honest, it fucked us (the players) over just as much as it helped us.
>>
>>51353937

I do video game mode. Either one side is surprised or not. The not suprised party gets to act before initiative is rolled in whatever order they want.
>>
>>51354025
Then your DM is a secret fox girl admirer, whi never actually read 5e rulebook. You should burn him alive.
>>
>>51354032
That's some sudden death shit.
>>
>>51354033
Three different DMs that don't know each other.
>>
>>51353979
>>51354033
He's doing it right. If you're surprised you don't act at all on the first time, which is exactly the same as getting a turn before initiative is rolled.
>>
>>51354059
There has to be some connection. I bet they are all secretly baby fur sex buddy.
>>
>>51354069
It's not the same brah. Enemy winning against your initiative mean it "surprised" end, then it could use its reaction (like shield spell or uncanny dodge).
>>
>>51354069
No, it is wrong.

This is just a weird, subconscious hivemind houserule that has come about from a rare mix of more fun and more logic.
>>
Monk or Paladin for my new campaign? Never played either.
>>
>>51354071
How's your job at the movie theater, by the way?
>>
>>51354015
Killing Shit -> Vengeance
Tanking Shit -> Ancients
Priesting Shit -> Devotion
>>
File: surprise.png (113KB, 472x103px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.png
113KB, 472x103px
>>51354090
>>51354088
Nope, it doesn't.

So, enemy is suprised. Two alternatives, they roll higher initiative than you.

You can act for a whole turn without them using any reactions or anything. New turn starts, they go first.

Second alternative, you get higher initiative. You act first, they get no reactions, assassinate attacks and everything. Then second turn starts and you can act again before they do, only they can use reactions now.
>>
>>51354103
Joke on you, I don't have a job.
Not living in the US and having $45k passive income feel pretty good though
>>
>>51354147
> until that turn ends
literally on your own quote.
>>
>>51354147
> Round Start
> Enemy is surprised
> Enemy turn start
> Enemy can't take action,move or reaction
> Enemy turn end
> Enemy can take reaction now
> Your turn start
> You attack the enemy
> The enemy can use reaction to cast shield
>>
>>51354178
>>51354166
First turn

Suprised monster can't do shit
PC acts, fucks up monsters presumably

Second turn:
Monster no longer suprised. Can take actions and reaction from this point.

Why would a surprised monster get to react to an enemy that has surprised it, before they have done anything or revealed themselves in any way?
>>
>>51354213
You are getting turn and round mixed up.
>>
>>51354213
turn=/=round
>>
>>51354230
>>51354226
Ok, I concede it can be interpreted the other way. But I have never run my games like that, or known anyone else to.
>>
>>51354240
I do too, but it's not the RAW way.
>>
>>51354213
Have you ever play sport or do martial arts? Sometime your body react instanctively to defense yourselves to a threat that your brain haven't even register yet.

A ball is coming at you. You don't know about it until the last second so you can't move out of the way, but you hand might try to catch or block it.
>>
>>51354240
Turn and round and still two seperate thing btw.

That is why a rogue with haste could do 2 sneak attack per round with a ready action.
>>
>There's a Dragonlance animated movie
Should I watch it?
>>
>>51354303
Oh man, it's awful!
You should ABSOLUTELY watch it.
>>
>>51354154
Whoosh.
>>
>>51354330
What kind of awful? Because I adored the Rankin-Bass Hobbit and could at least tolerate that live-action Dungeons and Dragons movie.
>>
>>51354261
So you're saying you can react to a ball that surprises you the same as a ball you can see coming?
>>
File: 1251272509677.jpg (1014KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1251272509677.jpg
1014KB, 1600x1200px
>>51354134

Crown from SCAG is better for tanking, it gives you an AOE Compelled Duel for one of the Channel effects.
>>
Has there been any 5E errata released that hugely impacted the game, or has it all been minor homerule-tier shit like "Pls don't Twin Scorching Ray"?
>>
>>51347213
Maybe they'll release Plane Shift Kaladesh instead!
>>
>>51348906
Read. It shows that being hidden means you are unseen and unheard. If you are unseen but heard, you are not hidden.

If you are hidden and make an attack, you give away your location, even if you're still unseen.

Invisibility does not mean your location cannot be seen by enemies. You must take an action to hide.

Otherwise the game would be horribly imbalanced towards invisible people.

>>51347939
>shocking grasp
Well, sure, he can use shocking grasp and then use misty step, but he can't use shocking grasp and then run away without misty step. Because he's grappled.

I just realized, if the wizard doesn't have misty step or something similar prepared, he's kind of fucked.

>>51347788
You can still stealth past familiars. Fucking free familiars for every wizard, though.

>>51347902
Yeah, but it's still pretty fucking horrifying for a single level dip. The first level of a class should not give you a universally useful ability that allows you to cheat being dropped to 0 HP constantly, especially when it could be abused by a half-orc barbarian or something.

>>51347922
I still prefer extra HP instead of death saves. Players don't become irrelevant when they hit 0, they instead have to protect themself. And players can die to reasons other than TPKs.
>>
>>51354602
They did just release arcanist rules that makes sense.

That said GIVE ME MY PRIMAL PATHS YOU FUCKERS.
>>
>>51354613
Artificer not arcanist
>>
>>51354015
Oathbreaker.

The level 7 ability is just fucking broken.

>>51354517
>>51354134
Like said, crown has some neat tanking abilities, devotion and ancients are for support that isn't always direct tanking.

Vengeance is like oathbreaker/treachery but worse. But a pretty decent pick if you want to be a high strength paladin otherwise that's less focused on support.
>>
>>51354568
Just minor home-rule shit that should be obvious to anyone not retarded.
>>
>>51354568
That's not even homerule tier, that's just repeating RAW that you can't twin scorching ray.

They nerfed water whip.
They nerfed unarmed strikes.
They nerfed slings/hand crossbows.

Basically they nerfed all the weakest shit to make it weaker.
>>
>>51354568
Speaking of, what IS the best spell to Twin now that Scorching Ray is off the table?
>>
>>51354655
I was so mad because Water Whip was one of the only cool things monks could do at that bracket. It had a lot of interesting applications.
>>
>>51354439
Kinda. For the ball that you see coming, you could move action out of the way or dodge action to try to not get hit. You get more option available to you and not limiting to your body reaction.

For ball that surprised you, you can sometime able to react to it in time (but not everytime as represent by initiative roll).
>>
>>51354381
Cheesy-campy awful. But with surprisingly famous voice talent, which makes it wonderful.

Oh, and the special effects absolutely don't work with the rest of the animation. Great stuff.
>>
>>51354659
Magic missile with a dip in twilight druid.
>>
>>51354659
Disintegrate, finger of death, power word: kill, polymorph, haste

Not magic missile because magic missile can target multiple things.
>>
>>51354711
Those are all kind of high powered slots for generic blasting.
>>
>>51348839
>>51348881
I don't really give a shit about realism in usually any aspect of my games, but I'm also in the camp of "blindness should actually be blindness".
I mean hey, Devil's Sight and Blindsight exists for a reason, if complete blindness is apparently to no detriment at all, why would those exist?
>>
>>51354771
>polymorph, haste
>2/5 of them
>generic blasting

I think the real answer is 'everything you can twin is the best spell to twin'

>>51354814
everybody having advantage on attacks against you and you having disadvantage on attacks against everyone is hardly 'no detriment at all'
It's just that if you and your target are both blind it cancels out, because neither of you have an advantage over the other.

It'd be too stupid trying to hide specific enemies from specific players down to their sight alone. It's easier to say 'okay, you know the location of what's not hidden, but you'll have penalties attacking them if you can't see them'.
>>
>>51354967
I think he means more of "What's the best shit I can twin as soon as possible to melt piles of dudes"
>>
I want to purge heretics with holy fire. What oath and alignment would my paladin be?
>>
Actually, let's look a bit further into what the people in the 'darkness screws everybody over' camp are basically implying -

>Enemies are always hidden if you can't see them.
>Invisible enemies cannot be attacked unless you can see them, though you can try to guess the space.
>You may not throw flour at an invisible enemy because you don't know where it is. Again, you can guess.
>Only the characters that can see the hidden characters can act upon it.
>You must not metagame things like knowing which way to walk to get out of the darkness. While in darkness, your character has no fucking clue what's going on so you'd better roleplay that properly.
>If you are invisible, you automatically succeed all stealth checks if people can't see invsisibility.
>Once an enemy leaves visible light / your darkvision / etc you have no clue where they are as they automatically hide, even if they attack since they can then simply move from their position.
>If an enemy enters a zone of darkness or fog at the end of their every turn, you will not be able to see them. Too bad. If they then leave that area at the start of their turn, there is no reason they can't take their turn normally.
>Rogues automatically hide without using a bonus action when they fully obscure themselves. This allows them to run to cover and have advantage each time they snipe.
>>
>>51355039
Heresy is more of a "didn't follow the rules" thing rather than a Good or Evil thing, so LN is probably the most absurd person to deal with.

Broken rules = purged.

Vengeance is best oath.
>>
File: Magic Missile!!.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Missile!!.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>51354690
I-I don't believe it.... casting a 9th level Magic Missile on a single creature with all of your Harvest’s Scythe at 19th level deals.

>(1d4+1+9d10) x 11 Force Damage
>>
As a figher, would it be better to have a higher WIS ability score or a higher DEX score, wear medium armor and be able to stealth?
>>
>>51355039
Vengeance Paladin, PAM as always, any non-good non-evil alignment. Probably LN because lawfuls are the best and crusaders work in holy coordination.
>>
>>51355129
Don't say that, or you'll get grognards coming in and saying 'b-b-but magic missile doesn't work like that!'

>>51355143
I don't get what you're saying. Do you have an ASI and you have the choice between using it on dex and wis?
Do you want to go shillelagh fighter? Dex fighter?
Are you already a strength fighter?
>>
>>51355172
B-Bu-But it's right here you can't say it does not work that way!

>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/

>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/15/magic-missile-clarification/

Check page 196 of the PHB for more mind blowing.
>>
>>51355213
and then there's this:
>https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400
>>
>>51355213

This actually makes me mad. Why the fuck would any spell use one roll for multiple damage?

It's like saying a Fireball is (1d8)x8 instead of 8d8.
>>
>>51355236
I honestly have no idea, maybe its because they act simultaneously or something like that.
>>
>>51355236
If magic missile was 2d4, it would be 2d4 and apply to every creature. Not 8d4 if you make four missiles hit the same creature.

It's like - oh wow - you roll 8d6 for fireball and damage everyone with it instead of rolling 8d6 for each individual target thus rolling a total of 80d6 if you hit 10 creatures! Who would've thought.
>>
>>51355256
Except a Fireball is literally a ball of fire that hits everyone at the same time and Magic Missile literally creates different, individual missiles. Why do the missiles all do the same amount of damage to different targets?
>>
>>51355305
It creates several identical missiles.
>>
>>51354814
No one was claiming there is no detriment, you both have the same detriment so you are on an even playing field.
>>
What's the farthest range you can get to cast or attack from?

I'm thinking warlock with the eldritch spear invocation (300ft), dip in sorcerer for distant spell metamagic (2x range), take the spell sniper feat (2x range). That would be eldritch blasting from 1200 ft away if I'm not mistaken with how that would work.

Just an annoying encounter I was tossing around, a warlock sitting atop a big mountain, using a familiar to fly up and scout while the warlock blasts lasers down from a quarter mile away, with pushback from repelling blast, even. I'd like to see how my players would handle it.
>>
>>51355367
Meteor Swarm has a range of 1 mile.
>>
>>51355367
With portals/scrying/mind control, there's really no limit.
>>
>>51355305
It's much easier to roll damage once rather than go over every enemy and point out to the DM you're rolling for that enemy and then roll 1d4 and then move along.

Magic missile is a very precise spell that never misses, so it makes enough sense that you don't create different magic missiles and they're all the same.

Finally, they all strike in the same way. It's not 'Oh, this magic missile got a headshot, so it does 4+1 damage, then this magic missile hit your foot, so it's only 1+1 damage' but instead each magic missile is precise, so they all do the same strength whereas with scorching ray you can miss, get a glancing hit, get a crit...
>>
>>51355367
Sensible players would use cover and stay prone.

With complete cover, they can't be hit.

If they stay prone behind a large shield, that's at least +5 AC and disadvantage to being hit.

If they have a spellcaster, they can simply use something such as darkness and walk single-file. The warlock cannot hear at that range, so they should effectively be hidden so not only will they have disadvantage to hit, but they also have a maybe 1d3 chance of not even aiming at the right target.

Once they run out of metamagic points, they'll be limited to 600ft, which is less intimidating. Players start to get into the range where longbows can fire back.

The problem is if the players don't understand mechanics like cover then they might just get confused, frustrated and then die.
>>
So I've got a mutha fucking story for y'all niggers.

>playing a lvl 12 warlock(great old one with the teleport ability from the fey)
>current dm is out if town friend dms
>sets us out on some half baked adventure for some peasants
>cave blah blah
>wtf mind flayers
>slaughter them and the elder brain
>find their ship, alahoon running off
>beat his ass, barbarian grapples him
>we simply knock him out and capture him
>dm says level to 14
>Jew plotting
>mind thrall the unconscious flayer and make him my bitch
>force him to teach me how to fly the nautalisk
>currently 18 and outfitting the ship with trap doors to drop griffon mounts, ballistas to fire and an undead army aboard to serve my whims

I am a happy lord.
>>
>>51355421
So when I fire a swarm of magic missiles at a crowd and it hits one guy in the dick and does 3 damage and then hit hits a woman, it has to hit her in the exact same spot, but she doesn't have a dick, so the spell grants her a phantom penis to get hit in by the missile so she takes the exact same amount of damage?
>>
>>51355500
Why would it hit them in the dick?

It's force damage. It's probably hitting some sort of metaphysical thing in their soul or something stupid like that.

Either way, it's likely to target something that every creature has, like a head, and if you say 'well, there're some creatures that don't have a head' then that's kind of overanalyzing it when rogues can crit sneak attack even a slime that has no internal organs or weakpoints or stance whatsoever. There's no reason to have a 'magic missile damage table' for different creatures.
>>
>>51355533
I'm just autistic and I like to know the reason behind mechanics, ESPECIALLY when the mechanics differ from other established mechanics.

I would accept the force damage hitting some metaphysical tether that all living creatures have as the excuse. It makes me curious about magic missile vs something like, say a swarm though.

Also, if I were a wizard and I had a spell that could unerringly strike its target, I would definitely hit them in the dick.
>>
>>51355649
Think of it instead as different size magic missiles. When you conjure max damage ones (4+1) the missiles are large, but smaller ones deal less damage (1+1). Also due to mechanics of the spell all bolts made by any casting are the same size/strength.
>>
>>51355649
Well, it doesn't really differ mechanically much.

As said, it works exactly like an area of effect spell, not an attack spell.

An attack spell is scorching ray:
>okay, roll to hit
then either
>okay, you crit, 4d6 damage
>okay, you hit, 2d6 damage
>okay, you missed, nothing
then
>okay, choose a target for your next attack that comes after your last. Might wannt chose a new one if that target died.

Magic missile on the other hand is
>select your target(s)
>roll damage
>apply effects
Which is exactly like fireball. The only difference to a typical area of effect spell is that there isn't a save and that you can potentially affect the same target twice.

You don't launch a magic missile, it hits, launch another missile, that hits, etc. You basically summon a swarm of them all at the same time and they all move in tune like some sort of reverse firework explosion onto your target.
>>
>>51355172
Rolled stats, got STR 18 and CON 16 at 4th level.

Playing Monster Hunter, so I have some extra skills. Now I can either choose medium armor, put a 14 in DEX and get stealth as a background skill or choose heavy armor, dump DEX and favor WIS, Insight.

Getting Perception as a class skill anyway, of course.
>>
>>51355783
Dexterity is probably what you should favour anyway simply because it gives better initiative and stealth.
Aside from that, it does allow you to take -2 AC over heavy armour in order to claim no stealth disadvantage for a bit.
Also unarmoured defence, dex saves, some other stuff, ranged attacks, yadda yadda.

You can always take resilient(wis) later for +1 wis and good wisdom saves.

Also obligatory
>rolling for stats
>>
>>51355783
Unless your entire party can all easily stealth themselves you don't really need that skill. Keep in mind that Plate has a higher AC than you can get with any DEX armor

Also if your DM allows feats you can always grab one of those.
>>
Pure crunch considerations: My Eldritch Knigth will become 8th levevl soon. Dex based with perks warmage and skilled rider.

My group consists of a protection mage, damage thief/ranger and a heal cleric.

I'm pretty satisfied with my damage and sustain so far but with 8th level I can choose a nice new second level spell. I was thinking:

1. Blur for greater sustain or
2. Haste for even more damage fun

Which of those would you propose? Or is there more I just overlooked?
>>
>>51356355
Haste is third level.
>>
>>51356396
God damnit, you are rigth! So Blur is the only viable option than?
>>
>>51356412
Maybe consider Shatter or Invisibility instead. If you insist on something that will make you harder to kill, Enhance Ability can give you temporary HP.
>>
>>51356355
Mirror image?
>>
What's the /TG/ approved stat system? Point buy, roll3 in order?
>>
So... what is the best dip for nuclear druid?

arcane cleric? although relying on magic missile and not having counterspell kinda suck
>>
>>51356600
Point buy.
Rolling is shit and only used in flimsy justifications of someone's meme build
>oh it's totally viable, you have 20 in a stat after your first ASI lol what do you mean you don't roll
>>
>>51356600
27 point buy.
>>
>>51356600
Point-buy or 6+2d6 in order.
>>
>>51356355

This:
>>51356595
Mirror Image is better for lower AC. Blur is better for higher, but uses Concentration.

Mirror Image is better if you intend to cast Haste along with it later on.
>>
>>51356600
Point-buy, since all we do here is theorycrafting.
>>
>>51356355
Mirror image is pretty good because you've got good dex and mirror image's AC runs on dex.

Blur isn't bad but it's concentration. Compared to mirror image, it's good if you can trust your con saves enough, and you should have good con saves.

Hold person is a great control spell if you have good intellect. You can cast it with your action surge and then make two crit attacks.
>>
>>51356600
Point buy is the most approved system.

Rolling for stats only has inherent problems with it and is only suited for lighthearted games or heavily, heavily modified games or hardcore games where you roll for stats in order.
>>
>>51356587

Invisibility is interesting but I'm not sure about this part:
"Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target's person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell."

carrying: does that mean, if i cast invisibilty on my horse, I become invisible and will not become visible, since I attack and not my horse?
>>
>>51356652
Usually people assume 20 in a stat because it's easier to do math with

All having a high stat usually does is bloat the numbers you roll, so it's not required for anything.

If stats didn't exist, 5e would function just fine if you assumed everybody had +3 in any stat they need to use. It'd be worse, but it'd work.
>>
>>51356587
Enhance Ability can't be learned by eldritch knights.
>>
>>51356730
They assume 20 in a stat because they're memeing fucks who think builds cap out at 20, everyone's going to get there, and it doesn't matter how shit the journey is.
>all those kensai / monk arguments where everyone is assuming 20 Dex / 20 Wis Monks at level 4 because teehee i got two 18s and i'm a variant human
>>
I have vows of chastity but I just started a relationship with our party's Rogue. I find it harder and harder to resist him when ever we kiss. I always have to rebuff him whenever things get heavy between us. He was able to slip his hamd inside my robes and feel my breast before I pushed him away. What is a virginal Clreic who is in love to do?
>>
>>51356746
Monk is probably the most extreme case because their AC heavily relies on their stats, more than anyone else.

But most builds simply get a damage increase or slight AC boost or slightly better stealth or whatever. You often see people go
>having 20 in the stat
or whatever, but often it's not really a valid counterargument beyond 'your attacks will do less damage', as will everybody else's attacks if everybody else doesn't have 20 in a stat.

But, once you shitpost on /5eg/ enough you get like me and you calculate the probable stats at certain levels anyway to avoid people >implying you.

Great thing about point buy is it's easier to transfer stats between games.
>>
>>51356793
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ZF_R_j0OY

There is a loophole.
>>
why can't the sorcerer UA come out today
why
for what purpose
to what end
>>
>>51356872
Thats still fornication..
>>
>>51356968
Worse, its sodomy.
You know, like Sodom
The city that got fucked so damn hard just to look upon said fucking turned a woman to a pillar of basalt (It was basalt right?)
>>
>>51357025
It was salt.
>>
>>51357040
damnit
Anyways you could always just ask your god if there is any way to work off the vow of chastity. I'm sure any reasonable god would let you do it if you think you've found true love.
>>
>>51355305

Probably for the same reason you don't have to do an attack roll for Missle
>>
>>51353319

That's actually pretty funny, out of context
>>
>>51357050
He'll ask you to marry him first
>>
Anybody else have a group where every adventure turns into monty python and the holy grail? Running curse of Strahd currently and whenever a witch is spotted the game descends into an endless flurry of monty python and Macbeth quotes.
>>
>>51357025
Logistically speaking if it were a pyroxene/feldspar sort of basic igneous rock it would be a basalt with no phenocrysts, or perhaps even a mess of obsidian and basalt, given that the woman wouldn't have had time to cool off properly.
No, in fact, maybe it'd look more like tuff.

Yes, these storytellers clearly don't have their facts straight if it was just basalt.

>>51357040
>salt
What is this, a fucking evaporite deposit? Did their fucking evaporate the entirety of the mediterranean?
>>
>>51357250
Have them start making these comments in character and have the room react appropriately. Warn them first though.
Thread posts: 452
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.