[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 40

File: 1485083317896.jpg (38KB, 366x599px) Image search: [Google]
1485083317896.jpg
38KB, 366x599px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd. Source: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51333854

Have you ever used a sanity or stress mechanic in 5e? What do you think about those mechanics in general?
>>
>Sanity or stress mechanics

I think D&D doesn't really work with sanity. One of the underlying assumptions (that's been getting stronger, if anything) is autonomy over your character.

That said, I saw a suggestion for an exhaustion-like sanity mechanic (i.e. you gain levels of insanity upon being subject to particular effects/failing particular saves).

Insanity levels:
1. Disadvantage on knowledge checks; advantage on athletics checks
2. Disadvantage on mental ability checks; speed +5
3. Disadvantage on saving throws; advantage on strength and constitution checks
4. Disadvantage on attack rolls; speed +10
5. Mental ability checks fail automatically; gain True Sight
6. Complete mental breakdown (character is a crazy NPC)

I don't know if it'll work, but I wouldn't mind trying it out in a game.
>>
>>51341146
Yeah I can see stress being it's own thing maybe it has it's own downsides.
>>
Is Heavy Armor Mastery feat any good? does the -3 damage worth it? At least the stat bump is worth it
>>
>>51341261
It is very good early, but it gets progressively worse as the game goes on.
>>
>>51338675
>>51338652
>dipping into paladin as a bladelock

That's like

>I COULD have made myself completely not MAD as a paladin using shillelagh AND got two cool cantrips
>but I chose to instead be able to use an ENTIRE ACTION in order to summon a weapon that isn't any better than a weapon I could have just drawn

I mean, you take 2 levels into paladin, you might as well take at least 6 levels for aura of protection and extra attack (extra attack without needing blade pact) And then you might as well also go for level 11 for improved divine smite... And at that point you're never going to get level 6+ spells from warlock so sod it why be a bladelock?

>>51341080
For literally what purpose
>>
For Green Flame Blade does it have to be a different creature?
>>
>>51341364
Yes
>>
>>51341364
Well it says different creature on the spell, so yeah.
>>
How does 5eg feel about giving the different kinds of sorcerers extended spell lists?
>>
>>51341456
Depends on the spells.
Sorcerers aren't meant to be the versatility masters that Wizards are. Sorcerers are usually meant to be blasters.
>>
I need help working out what to do with the session for today.

The group is going to an orc camp (their faction is working with the orcs). The Orcs are trying to design a ritual that will let them enter the Feywild through a Ley Line crossing.

I want this session to involve some mystery and social roleplay. I was considering designing a mystery about some Unseelie Fey who had infiltrated the camp to mess with the ritual, but I'm not that good at designing mysteries. Can I get some help with this? Or if you have another idea to have the players help the Orcs with the ritual I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>51341456
Unlike PHB races, /5eg/ is not a monolith.
>>
>>51341288
But you only have to summon it once? Like, you do realize you don't have to summon the blade each time you have combat right?
>>
>>51341486
I've come up with a couple examples but I'm also leaning on the "Book of Lost Spells" from Necromancer Games for some filler.
I've set a different goal for each one but in general its giving spells that are pretty blasty that we know the sorc is going to take anyways so they can get some more freedom to choose like fire dragon sorc naturally getting fireball with a few for more flavor and utility.
Example
>Fire Dragon (still deciding on making it different between red and gold)
>1
Command, Dragon's Gauntlet
>2
Pyrotechnics, Aganazzar's Scorcher
>3
Fireball, Air of Nobility
>4
Fireshield, Firewall
>5
Flame Strike, Immolation
>>51341500
Its why I asked the question in general for any feedback at all.
>>
>>51341558
You only have to summon it once, and then it's a regular weapon.

Congratulations, you've saved yourself 10 gold not buying a maul or something.
>>
>>51341625
Right, and if you ever find yourself in a situation where everyone's weapons are gone, you have yours still? It's not the worst option in the game, and if you're not going for optimization, it's a cool character concept.
>>
Best Dragonborn type?
>>
>>51341659
You can then at best give the weapon to the fighter when they could likely use an improvized weapon or something similar to their weapon. And then you can switch back to eldritch blasting like you should.

It honestly might just be the worst option in the game. The only reason it's not as bad as four elements monk is because four elements is a bigger decision to make and pact of the blade has some really niche applications if you use it with rogue or if you really desperately need a full-caster and have a wolf barbarian or someone who constantly prones targets and you don't want a bladesinger or favoured soul sorcerer or paladin or anything instead.
>>
>>51341745
The one you like more.
>>
>>51341761
But I don't want to be stuck with just casting Eldritch Blasting. That's boring. I want to Play a semi decent gish with an interesting class concept.
>>
>>51341745
Probably lightning
Fire is resisted by a lot of shit and somewhat the same for cold
Poison is utterly useless as everything has immunity
Acid is the only other one I could see keeping up.
>>
>>51341496
Also, any ideas for fun side quests that involve Orcs?
>>
>>51341803
If you want to play as a semi-decent gish you can just go Polearm Mastery Eldritch Knight and utilize the SCAG cantrips.

>>51341840
Tons of shit immune to lightning aswell.
Acid is probably your best bet to avoid immunities and resistances.
>>
>>51341803
Then you can play a Paladin, Bladesinger, Favoured Soul Warlock, Sorcadin, tomelock, EK, ranger, artificer, AT or that revised four elements monk that isn't really official but it's better than bladelock anyway. .. Or Cleric, even. Or I suppose Druids can get into a bit of gish, if not much.
Or pallock. Or Valor Bard. Or Bardadin. Or whatever.

In a game where everybody's fucking about, sure, do whatever. I've seen people play fighters without even a +1 in strength and dex. Those sorts of games you can nerf yourself for no reason other than for 'fun'.
If you want to play a semi-serious game, you might as well pick semi-serious options, which is literally everything aside from PHB four elements monk, PHB beastmaster ranger and bladelock.
>>
>encounter a bunch of flameskulls
>kill them
>collect the dust in two piles
>put one pile in bag of holding, the other pile in a sack
We thought separating the dust would keep them from reforming. DM decided that they can reform anyway, so two reformed in the extradimensional space and the other one in the sack.
>charm the one in the sack
>claim its friends are in the bag of holding and it needs to go in there to convince them to leave, because they like it too much in there and refuse to leave
>roll a 6 on deception
>it crit fails
>goes into the bag of holding
I now have three Flameskulls in my bag of holding.
>>
>>51341146
The way indefinite madness works in the DMG actually does leave the player a lot of autonomy. You can choose not to ropleplay the madness, you just won't get inspiration for it.
>>
Alright I've got a general question, going to play SKT as a wizard, and I've narrowed it down between Drow and High Elf race wise.

Just can't seem to decide between them. Drow is nice due to 120feet darkvision and more spells.. though High Elf gets longbow proficiency and another cantrip.
>>
>>51342094
>What are you going to do with three flameskulls?
>When the time is right, I'll know.
>>
>>51342127
Drow gets disadvantage in direct sunlight, if they or their target are in the sunlight.
So, you know, pretty much all the time unless your group only fights in dungeons, the underdark, or at night.
>>51342133
Pretty much. My plan is that, when I need a massive distraction, I'll cast Invisibility on myself, and start tossing flameskulls .They're free-minded (since they've been removed from the area they were guarding), neutral evil, quite mad, and can cast Fireball. So, for instance, cast invisibility on the whole party, sneak into the drow city, release a bunch of flameskulls, and have everyone sneaking through while the drow are distracted.
>>
30th for Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party
>>
>>51342127
>Elf or an Elf
Either way, you can't win
>>
>>51341872
A scrawny orc wanders into town alone and is taken into custody. He says that if the PCs can help him kill the leader of his clan, he'll take over and direct the clan toward raiding hobgoblins and other orcs instead of humans.
>>
>>51342164
He can just use spells that force saves and have no problems with sunlight at all.
>>
>>51342127
Be a high elf and don't worry about sunlight. Assumibg SKT happens in Icewind Dale and other areas in the far north, your drow may find himself in a situation where the sun doesn't set for a month or more.
>>
Would changing Alchemical acid or fire to Alchemical Plague (Necrotic) be fine in terms of balance?
>>
>>51342164
Pretty much >>51342222. Most of the time I won't be using spells that you have to roll a to hit on.

>>51342190
I've mostly been playing either dwarf or half orc for 14 years now. Figured I'd try something new.
>>
>>51342251
Fire is most commonly resisted damage type, which is balanced out by it's high damage.
>>
>>51342249
Wouldn't really have to worry much about sunlight either way, which is why I have a tough time choosing.
Since >>51342222 and all that, wizards have a lot of choice.
>>
>>51342272
How about acid compared to necrotic?
>>
>>51342302
I think necrotic is more commonly resisted than acid. So I'd let you change it.
>>
How does magic work. Fluff wise, where does it come from, what is controlling it actually like, and how do spellcasters view game terms like Slots and Spells Per Day.
>>
File: C2nQ91BXAAAP2OM.jpg large.jpg (51KB, 720x885px) Image search: [Google]
C2nQ91BXAAAP2OM.jpg large.jpg
51KB, 720x885px
>playing game with DM I meet for the first time
>want to knock someone out with electric damage
>"You can't do that the PHB says only melee weapons can do non-lethal"
>Say "Uh, no it says in the PHB its up to the DM, so are you just going to play it that way?"
>"No it says it in the book, you're wrong."
>Say "Whatever you say."
>Banned
>go to pg197
>I'm right

Fucking know-it-all DMs
>>
>>51342448
he banned you for that pissy shit? jesus christ
>>
>>51342469
Yeah and the thing is I defended him when other players were walking all over him with his storycrafting, but when I corrected him on a rule he got butthurt AF.
>>
>>51342448
You're complaining about being banned after defying your DM? jesus christ
>>
>>51342448
Probably decided you were going to be the sort of person who would argue with him over every minor thing. It was silly of him to go straight to kicking you but at the end of the day the GM is the one in power so if he doesn't want you in his game then that's that.
>>
File: 300x300.jpg (30KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
300x300.jpg
30KB, 269x269px
end of a year long campaign
>level 16 party of 5
>they are chaotic neutral/evil, a band of mercenaries
>they were hired to kill an underking who was turning the ocean into sand
>a powerful archfiend is the king, they barely BARELY manage to kill it after months IRL
>the final battle takes place on a great tower risen from the sand and overlooks the destroyed neverwinter
>due to some selfish mistakes throughout the campaign the world is brought to ruination by the archfiends mechanizations - there is hardly any more water left and most life on the planet will die soon.
>the entire party but the bard and warlock (the leader) dies in the fight
>the bard is really fucked up, the warlock is looking through the archfiends chamber to find something to fix the world, somehow
>he finds a ring, identifies it as the ring of three wishes, with only one stone lit up.
>he tries to use the wish to change the world back, but it fails, it is beyond the power of the ring.
>he makes several wishes in any way to fix the world
>as one of those, he wished to be god
>as he is about to hand the ring to the bard - the rings last stone dulls
>a voice calls out to him, even more alien than his patron, but also familiar.
>the voice tells him that becoming the god is more than what he thinks, and bears an even greater great responsibility than what he can understand, and that although being all powerful does not mean that you can create and shape the world, you can only guide, not command the living, and that this god's time is soon to be up.
>the warlock reaffirms his commitment, anything to repair the world that he helped destroy
>everything begins to shift into different colors and blend in together and swirl - the world - all of the planes bend and contort into a single point
>his dead companions are silhouettes and gives him some final words
>the warlocks consciousness fades to black - then awakens to be god, an entire reality to shape in his image
>make him DM and start new campaign
>>
>>51342448

Skimming over page 197, I don't see anything that proves you right (though I may have missed it). Page 198, however, has the section for knocking a creature out, and it confirms what the DM was telling you. So if you could show me what you're referring to, that'd help with my confusion.
>>
>>51342579
>being banned after defying your DM
I wasn't defying the DM, I told him it was not in the rulebook (which he insisted it was) and asked him if thats just a house rule, and he told me I'm wrong and that its in the book. So I told him I'd do it if thats how he wanted to play it and he banned me.

If you can't handle people correcting you on rules when you're objectively wrong you shouldn't be DMing
>>
>>51342616
Same passage your reading says

>Most DMs have creatures die immediately when they hit 0 hit points
>Most DMs

That means its at DM discretion. It says nothing about only melee weapons being able to do it.
>>
>>51342616
Needs to be a melee attack, not a melee weapon attack. Could work with shocking grasp.
>>
>>51342440
Depends on the setting.
>Forgotten Realms
It's pulled from the Weave. Read the book to know more.
>>
File: 1411836060450.jpg (60KB, 638x483px) Image search: [Google]
1411836060450.jpg
60KB, 638x483px
how would you guys balance out true strike if i wanted to use it as a primary cantrip? im looking to create a wizard who stays in the support role and would like to use it as a buff for allies on my turn
>>
>>51342440
Depends on setting tbqh famalam

>>51342448
$69 says you're not portraying the situation objectively
>>
>>51342665
That's a different rule, that's for skipping death saving throws for monsters.
>>
>>51342665

That's kind of weak justification.

>>51342673

This makes sense though. Shocking Grasp was not specifically stated, but I agree that it should be capable of non-lethal damage.
>>
>>51342673
It was with shocking grasp actually lmao so even if he was "right" hes still wrong
>>
>>51342665
That is talking about whether monsters get a chance to stabilize or just die instantly, it has nothing to do with non-lethal damage.
>>
>>51342717
But the DM decides that rule, not you, so why would you bring it up? You only get to decide if you want to knock them out with a melee attack.
It's like complaining that you are flanking so you should get advantage when the DM has never once said you are using the flanking rule
>>
>>51342733
>lmao
Well, I know why I would ban you now at least.
>>
So a while back (maybe a week or so now) there was talk about how to make a Swordsage (a class from 3.5) ported over to 5th edition, and after some discussions it was determined that the best option would be to make it an archetype of the Monk.

After a bit of work on it I've gotten it to the point where I think it's worth getting feedback on. My current worries/issues are:

- Ki cost of techniques relative to the level you can get them.

- Too many techniques that might not be worth taking, or ones that overshadow the other Monk moves.

- Not entirely sure on the damage die sizes for some of the skills, either too high or too low.
>>
>>51342796
>But the DM decides that rule, not you, so why would you bring it up?
Because he told me to read the book and I told him it was not there?
>>
Im debt free now which means that i have tons of disposable income. Im looking at buying miniature booster packs but i dont know which line is the best for general use or if different lines have better minis. They have a line for each of the published adventure paths plus two "Monster Menagerie" lines. Which is best? Does anyone have any experience?
>>
>>51342890
Okay, we get it, you have lots of money. Will you stop spamming this?
>>
>>51342890
Honestly would recommend becoming an ascetic monk. It's much more fulfilling in the end.
>>
>>51342848
Well you were wrong.
>Sometimes an attacker wants to incapacitate a foe, rather than deal a killing blow. When an attacker reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a MELEE ATTACK, the attacker can knock the creature out. The attacker can make this choice the instant the damage is dealt. The creature falls unconscious and is stable.
Page 198 in the player's handbook under knocking a creature out.
>>
>>51342164
>So, you know, pretty much all the time unless your group only fights in dungeons, the underdark, or at night.
or in buildings, or caves, or forests...

in the past year, i think i have had maybe three encounters that took place outside during daylight hours.
>>
>>51342842
Why does sense magic make any sense, thematically?
Regaining ki that quickly is pretty broken, and makes Perfect Self completely worthless.
What does "reflect an attack" mean? Because that ain't D&D terminology.
Some of the techniques are laughably OP.

Overall, 7/10 because it's surprisingly not too bad if you get rid of Weapon and Body.

>>51342946
"Who is truly rich? He who desires little."
>>
>>51342848
The rule for knocking a creature out is on 198, and it has to be a melee attack, not determined by the DM. You're referencing the rule where DMs can choose to skip death saving throws for monsters and have them die instantly on hitting 0 HP. Shocking Grasp works, but you cited the wrong rule and don't actually understand what you're talking about.
>>
>>51342890
I'd recommend you to send me some money instead. I really need it.
>>
>>51342993
Probably varies by the DM. The past year for me has had about half our battles taking place in direct sunlight, and about half of those with no real shadow to hide in either.
>>
>>51342992
>MELEE ATTACK
Shocking Grasp is a melee attack, he said "melee weapon attack"
>>
>>51342992
Shocking grasp is a melee attack. It is you that is wrong.
>>
>>51342848
The DM wasn't wrong, just confused. They probably just assumed you meant this rule (like everyone replying to you does), because you trying to make the DM use optional rules you want at the time is just stupid
>>
Should l use Grungs or Bullywugs as a random encounter in my adventure?
>>
>>51342709
>how would you guys balance out true strike if i wanted to use it as a primary cantrip? im looking to create a wizard who stays in the support role and would like to use it as a buff for allies on my turn
Bonus action. But it may be too good, then.
>>
>>51343051
What the hell is he talking about if not that?
>>
Good GM - "Roll to see if you can do that"
Bad GM - "No, you can't do that"
Horrible GM - "It says right here you can't do that"
/5eggs/ - "PHB 393 SAYS UR A FAG"
>>
File: FoxitReader_2017-01-22_12-04-55.png (268KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
FoxitReader_2017-01-22_12-04-55.png
268KB, 400x293px
>>51343051
>because you trying to make the DM use optional rules you want at the time is just stupid
It wasn't optional rules, he said only melee weapon attacks can cause knockout, and he was wrong. Its not special rules, its the rules.
>>
>>51342733
>>51342448
I think you got banned because you didn't take proficiency in persuasion.

You could have asked to talk about it afterwards in a more friendly manner and just let it slide for now. It's better than starting a fight while all the other players groan.

And anyway, the 'incapacitating a foe' rules are very DM dependent as some DMs dislike the 'you just automatically knock them out instead of killing them' idea. You can do fucktonnes of damage going all out of them and still leave them only unconscious whereas a rock would've killed them.
>>
>>51343094
this
>>
where would you guys wtart when making an underwater dungeon?
>>
>>51343101
THERE'S NO PAGE 393 IN THE PHB YOU GOD DAMN QUINTUPLE NIGGRO!
>>
>>51343101
Horseshit

Good GM - "this shit makes no sense, rolling won't make a lick of difference"
Decent GM - "roll to see if you can do that, and also I'm setting the DC really high"
Bad GM - "you can't do that because of page 42"
Horrible GM - "you can't say that because I'm a fuckboy who needs to change his tampon"
/5eg/ GM - "depends on setting"
>>
>>51343113
Sure, but you're wrong too. Your argument hinged on the wrong rules entirely.
>>
>>51343101
The rules are restrictive in 5e at all, if you make them intentionally restrictive that isn't fun. Why have a PHB at all if you're just going to wing it on all the rules and you decide what does and doesn't happen.

If I said "the PHB says you can't move and attack on the same turn" you're just going to let me?
>>
>>51343132
Under da sea
>>
>>51343132
I would probably replay Ocarina of Time and then kill myself

>>51343125
Those DMs are idiots who think hit points are meat points.
>>
>>51343195
The justification was wrong yes, but my central point being "other things besides melee strikes can knock people out" was right.
>>
>>51343126
But he was asking about knocking a creature out, thus why everyone is talking about the rules for knocking a creature out. I still don't understand why the monsters and death section is relevant, that is a different matter to wanting to knock a creature out.
>>
File: Tamatoa.png (2MB, 1842x1608px) Image search: [Google]
Tamatoa.png
2MB, 1842x1608px
>>51343197
I was a drab little crab once
>>
>>51343132
Fishermen ore privateer expedition, you could even start an a privateers sanctuary island like Tortuga or something like that, theres a map of Islands on the sword coast map.
>>
>>51343132
The nature of the dungeon. An "underwater dungeon" can be a flooded mine, a kuo toa city, a lost palace at the bottom of a well, etc.
>>
>>51343008
It has Sense Magic because that's what the class gained as part of it's class back in 3.5 days, and it seemed like such a harmless thing to give it that I was fine with it.

I wasn't entirely sure what to give them for a 17th level feature because everything else I was thinking of seemed worthless or blatantly OP. Maybe just make it so that if you go down to 0 Ki during a fight, and succeed on hitting a foe with a melee weapon attack, you regain 1 Ki point, just so that they can continue to do stuff.

I grossly over-simplified the wording for Fool's Strike. The 5th edition wording would probably be, "As a reaction to a foe's melee attack hitting you, you may spend 3 Ki to deflect the blow back at the opponent. If the foe's melee attack would hit their AC, they roll damage on themselves. Otherwise the hit is negated on you and them."

What techniques strike you as being grossly OP? The ones I weren't sure on making them are: Vampiric Touch, Bonecrusher, Mind over Body, Overwhelming Mountain Strike, Iron Bones, Dragon's Flame, and Wolf Pack Tactics.
>>
>>51343232
So you're both dicks, and no, only melee strikes can knock a person out.
>>
>>51343195
Nah it's not meant to say the rules don't matter.

Obvious rules are easy to follow. In places where the rules are ambiguous, sometimes it's best decided by the dice.
>>
>>51342842
Shouldn't the saving throws be Wis based?
Specify whether or not you can use multiple powers on each attack.

Feigned Opening needs a saving throw, n automatically successful wasting of an opponent's reaction.

Sonic Boom sucks compared to attacking with a shortbow.

Radiant Heat needs a save for half. Even so it's quite powerful for a concentration free effect.

Fool's Strike needs a saving throw

Inferno Blast needs to specify action type
>>
>>51343205
In the monster manual, it even gives rules in the case of a troll for cutting off its limbs if you deal enough damage with a slashing weapon.

For monsters, hit points are much more in the way of meat points. You can often delimb or fuck up a monster in combat, and that's how it's intended to be as the gore of combat makes it more dynamic. A swarm of monsters may have weaker attacks at half health - you've literally killed half of the creatures.

The HP and meatpoints thing comes into question when you're dealing with players, howevevr.
>>
>>51343282
>and no, only melee strikes can knock a person out
Melee spells can as well
>>
>>51343173
>master magician who studied countless of hours to have full grasp of the arcane
>can't set his shocking grasp to "stun" instead of murder mode
>implying
>>
>>51343263
>>51343274
I was thinking of a place where it would make sense to find an aboleth, something like an underwater grotto. The island thing is interesting, might check it out
>>
>>51341618
So
Before I start posting any of the others I've made any critiques? I don't want to flood the thread with flawed shit and not be called out on it.
>>
>>51342890
Want to give me money I am still in debt
>>
>>51343237
I think the original guy wanted the creature to go down and start doing death saving throws, allowing him to stabilize it next turn. He used shitty wording, causing everyone including his DM to think he's referring to the knock-out rules instead.
>>
Alchemist Artificer, Variant Half-Elf.

Elven Weapon Proficiency, or Wizard Cantrip?
>>
Please
GM was wrong because the rule was up to him >>51343051
Anon was wrong because he didn't kept his mouth shut until the end of the session.
Can we please move on?
>>
>>51342213
Have it be a sign of favour with rockpeople. If they present it before some earth elementals, they might instantly favour the person with it on grounds they're clearly friends with some other earth elemental guy.
>>
>>51343387
>variant half-elf

What were the stats on these again? I don't seem to remember the UA it showed up in, but I remember hearing of half-drow and such.
>>
>>51343309
Melee spell strikes.
>>
>>51343307
The saves probably should be based off your WIS modifier, I can change that.

Should Feigned Opening's wording be something like, "as a reaction make yourself appear vulnerable. Opponent makes a WIS saving throw, and on a failure they spend their reaction to attack you. If they fail on the save, you get one melee weapon attack on them at the same time they attack you."

Sonic Boom is supposed to suck when compared to a shortbow, it's just meant to be there for flavor/cool factor.

Radiant Heat's save can be a DEX save, easy enough.

Fool's Strike will probably need some more tweaking on it, so I'm open to wording clarification ideas.

Swore I said that Inferno Blast required an Action, must have thought it and not typed it out.
>>
I've got a bit of a predicament. DM has given us free reign to make our own magic items that we'll quest for soon. We'll be level 15 when we start searching for these magic items. I'm not really sure what to make though, and that stems partly from the fact that I'm autistic and don't like homebrew stuff. So I want you guys to call me a sorry cunt so I can feel better about myself.
>>
tfw my DM had no issues with me using eldritch blast to disable people instead of killing them
>>
>>51343388
>GM was wrong because the rule was up to him
No, that rule is clear-cut and not up to the GM. The GM got the rule wrong, and the player ALSO got the rule wrong.
>>
>tfw a rules lawyer and have to suppress my autism every time someone does something wrong at the table and the DM lets them
>>
>>51343425

Half-Elf (Moon Elf or Sun Elf Descent)
Ability Scores: Cha +2
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft.
Ability Score Increase. Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
Darkvision. Thanks to your elf blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Variant Feature (Choose 1).
Keen Senses

You have proficiency in the Perception skill

Elf Weapon Training

You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.

Cantrip

You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and one extra language of your choice.
>>
What's the best way to create a character to fuck with the DM that isn't Old Man Henderson?
>>
>>51343551
Controller Wizard or Bard. You can shut down almost any encounter, and they can't even fault you for it because it's actually how the class is meant to be played.
>>
>>51343466
At the end of the day everything is up to the GM. If you don't like it then you don't play as this fellow found out.
>>
>>51343551
Divination wizard. You get to be the DM for 2(two) whole rolls
>>
File: variant half elf.png (411KB, 541x370px) Image search: [Google]
variant half elf.png
411KB, 541x370px
>>51343425
SCAG actually.

Do I have a misprint or does it actually say you can forgo Skill Versatility for Keen Senses OR one of the specified racial traits? Surely it supposed to be that you can trade in Skill Versatility for Keen Senses AND a one of the specified racial traits. Why would anyone ever sacrifice 2 proficiencies of choice for just perception proficiency?
>>
>>51343551
You could just take a shit on his porch, accomplishes about as much.
>>
>>51343584
>At the end of the day everything is up to the GM. If you don't like it then you don't play as this fellow found out.

Then why have a fucking PHB? Why not just make up the game from the ground up, we do attack roles on a d6 now don't like it ding dong bannu.
>>
Cleric's domain can either use a melee weapon or sacred flame.
If you have a melee domain, on level 20 you're dealing [W]+2d8+STR damage. You also need to stand in the harm's way.
If you have a spellcasting domain, you can deal 4d8+WIS damage. You also can stand away and safely deal damage from a range.

Am I missing something? Sacred flame domains seem obviously better than melee domains - especially those that don't get a martial weapon proficiency (life, forge, trickery, protection, nature).
>>
>>51343449
I wouldn't allow such a thing in my campaign, but that's partially because ranged combat is already enough of a boon in itself and secondarily because hostages are so much more valuable. If you knocked out a whole squad of goblins the rest of the goblins might be more than willing to surrender and give up loot if it means they all get out safe and sound.

>>51343521
Huh. So you lose half-elf's 'you gain two skills' and can either trade it for:
>you know a skill (What?)
>you get weapon proficiencies
>you know a cantrip

Well, honestly, you don't need a weapon as an artificer. It'll just waste hand space. You want a hand free for a shield (for when you choose to equip it) and a hand free to grab stuff out your bag, and maybe a hand free for a lantern or anything like that.

Two skills would be the best, but otherwise a cantrip would be good if you can find a fun way to use it. I'd recommend one of the elemental cantrips such as shape water, especially since alchemists.. Deal with liquids.
>>
>>51343008
The regaining ki thing isn't that bad, as you have to spend it to make an attack. That said, you need tighter terminology on what it means to hit with a Swordsage technique. Does dealing damage with Burning Blade count, given the hit trigger has already happened? Does hitting while Enlarged by Giant Size count? Do people inside Dragon't Flame count? Does each attack of Kuzuryūsen count, potentially netting you 9 ki for the cost of 4?
>>
>>51343602
Yeah that seems wierd.
>>
>>51343602
No misprint.

The way it works :

You give up Skill Versatility.

Now you can take either...

Keen Senses

OR (not AND, but OR)

Any of that shit listed below.

And the reason why people trade it is because skills are mostly useless fluff outside of combat where something like Weapon Training, a fucking 30 ft Swim Speed, Drow Magic or a Cantrip can be baller as fuck.
>>
>>51343551
Lucky halfling divination wizard.
You control the rolls, fuck what other people say.
>>
>>51343008
>>51343307

Took your feedback and tweaked things easily enough. Still open for feedback and ideas/suggestions for word fixes. Here's version 2 of the archetype.
>>
>>51343651
Because you don't have to go all in for every single thing you fucking autist. I like 5e for the most part but there is stuff I don't agree with. Just because I don't like the rule saying druids can't wear metal armour doesn't mean I am going to make a whole new fucking game up. No i just say druids can wear fucking metal armour if they want to and I don't care what the book says on this occasion.
>>
>>51343726
I don't think they mean because its better, just because keen senses is an odd choice, because it gives prof in perception, while versatility can give it in perception + one more skill. I think its just an oversight by wotc
>>
>>51343714
Look as version 2 (here: >>51343745 ), as I changed the language for how Weapon and Body works.
>>
>>51343763
Actually, druids CAN RAI wear metal armour and they won't lose any of their powers technically. There's nothing stopping them from doing it.

They just don't do it because they're hippies. And any player that going by the PHB tries to play a druid wearing metal armour should be promptly given a stern finger waving at.
>>
>>51343669
Well you don't get that +WIS if you don't get Potent Spellcasting for one. Also aren't dex saves generally one of the higher saves on a lot of monsters?
>>
>>51343763
>No i just say druids can wear fucking metal armour if they want to and I don't care what the book says on this occasion
But thats not what he said, he said it wasn't a house rule it was in the book hes right I'm wrong, and I told him I would play it that way if he wanted it as a house rule but he was wrong and he banned me. You can't just say a lie is correct, he can say he has a house rule but he can't say that is in the book.
>>
>>51343669
All domains can use sacred flame, all domains can cast spells, all domains can use melee weapons if they want, what are you talking about?
>>
>>51343726
But why would you ever pick Keen Senses then? Why not just keep Skill Versatility and choose perception as one of the skills?
>>
>>51343697
Well, I figured since Alchemists already get three skills.
>>
>>51343864
You wouldn't really. It's just WotC being retards as usual.

Everyone bombarded Crawford on twitter to see if he meant AND instead of OR but he said the last thing half-elves need is another boost. They're already one of the strongest choices. It's like Half-elf, yuanti-pureblood, everyone else can suck dicks.
>>
>>51343669
Opportunity attacks. Also nature is nice for melee because although they don't get martial weapons, they can get shillelagh, which mean no need for str as its 1d8+wis
>>
>>51343551
Way of the Sun Soul Monk is literally fucking Goku from DBZ. Just scream at people and pretend to power up all the time.

Also Stunning Strike is actually legit as fuck.
>>
>>51343786
So with this new method (for the benefit of those on mobile, it's Whenever you hit a target with a melee weapon attack and are at 0 Ki, you regain 1 Ki point), a 17th level Swordsage at 1 ki could:

-Move with Lightning Slash (0 ki)
-Hit with a weapon attack (1 ki)
-Add Burning Blade damage (0 ki)
-Hit with their 2nd attack (1 ki)
-Flurry of Blows (0 ki)
-Hit with a 3rd attack (1 ki)
-Gain temporary hit points with Vampiric Strike (0 ki)
-Hit with a 4th attack (1 ki)

And end up spending 4 ki for free.
>>
>>51342290
Avoiding attack rolls limits your spell selection, which isn't very fun. You also never know when you might have to roll Perception.
>>
File: 300px-Vecna4e.jpg (200KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Vecna4e.jpg
200KB, 300x453px
So, I will be playing a death cleric of Vecna and, by his dogmas, I should not go around telling people that I worship him.

The question is, what are some good deities that are usually accepted by the general population so I can pretend to worship, them?

I think it will be cool if, at some point, my party discover that I'm not a cleric of that deitie because I'm not exaclty following the dogmas of that deitie So it doen's need to be a evil or death deitie, but it can't be a "full good" one.
>>
>>51343852
Some domains receive Divine Strike and others receive Potent Spellcasting. This will determine whether they're better off using melee weapons or using Sacred Flame.
>>
>>51343965
Azuth, LN God of Knowledge and Wizardry
Kelemvor, LN God of the Dead
Oghma, N God of Knowledge
Waukeen N Goddess of Trade, Trickery and Knowledge

Best options
>>
>>51343308
You'll notice, however, that there are no rules for cutting off limbs from ogres, despite them having basically the same shape as trolls. The troll rules are there to make their fights fluffier/more flavorful, not because their hit points are meat points.

They're not, and that's the exact justification for knocking out a creature instead of killing it at 0 hit points. Reducing a creature to 0 doesn't mean stabbing it through the heart, it means defeating it completely, blowing open its defenses and having it at your mercy. So you're perfectly capable of stabbing it through the heart, but you're also capable of pommeling it in the temple.

>>51343316
I meant in general. I agree that shocking grasp should be usable for knocking people out.

>>51344008
Different anon, but I played Mask of the Betrayer and now I hate Kelemvor with a passion.
>>
>>51343965
Mystra or Azuth are probably close enough, or Kelemvor if you're going to want to look spooky.
>>
File: LettingTheDMHandleRoleplaying.png (992KB, 1290x621px) Image search: [Google]
LettingTheDMHandleRoleplaying.png
992KB, 1290x621px
>>51344051
Kelemvor's just middle management, anon. You need to set your hates higher.
>>
>>51344085
Kelemvor didn't build that wall though. And he actually tried to tear it down, but literally every other god in existance (including gods of justice and mercy) got pissy, because it meant their worshippers will go away, now that the threat of eternity of suffering in the wall is no longer forcing them to.
>>
>>51344120
That only happened in a video game, and it's so stupid that people generally ignore it. Anyway, it has no bearing on Anon's question.
>>
>>51343948
So that would be (using a Longsword for damage calculations and 20 DEX), 1d8 slashing + 1d8 lightning + 1d6 fire + 1d8 slashing + 1d10 bludgeoning + 1d10 damage + 20 damage, and you gained 1d10 + 5 temporary HP.

To make the math easy, let's say the enemy doesn't have any damage resistances and eats all the damage. That ends up being 2d10 + 3d8 + 1d6 + 20, with it averaging out to be around 52 damage.

Looking at a 17th level Rogue (the next closest melee target) with Sneak Attack die, a Rapier, and 20 DEX, that's 1d8 + 9d6 + 5 damage. That will average out to be around 55 damage a round.

... I think that's ok? Not entirely sure.
>>
Any word on when the new adventures will be added to the Trove?
>>
>>51343478
>someone at the table interprets something wrong
>it helps out the group
>.................

>DM interprets something wrong
>it harms the group
>AKSUALLY,
>>
Why is 5e so much less lewd than Pathfinder? Why are we losing the lewd war?
>>
>>51344244
Because many of us are in fact refugees of that war, and wish not to bring that nonsense here
>>
>>51344244
Get back to your containment thread, you filthy degenerate. You disgust me.
>>
>>51344116
Kelemvor may be middle management but he is a douchebag and a crony. I still hate him.

Also, Sand is hands-down the best companion, dialog-wise. How do you get pic related?

>>51344244
>Losing
Anon, this is what Winning looks like.
>>
>>51343999
>implying dodge isn't the best action a cleric can take
>>
>>51344173
No. The weapon counts as a Monk Weapon for Martial Arts purposes, so it's a d10. Also Weapon Focus adds another 4 damage. The average is 54 damage. The average for 1d8 + 9d6 + 5 is 41 (Your math is bad and you should feel bad). In addition, you can Riposte or Feigned opening for free, netting you another attack.
>>
>>51344313

Kelemvor tried and essentially had the devs' self-insert smack him down because the idea of an afterlife that isn't miserable or autistically devoted to a single concept apparently triggers the entire world. He's a broken mangod.
>>
>>51344381
Ok, that's why I typed the math out in case I messed up, which I did.

Re-word it so that you can only benefit from it if you start the turn with 0 Ki?
>>
File: 1485056688649[1].jpg (177KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1485056688649[1].jpg
177KB, 1920x1200px
Are blaster mages (Warlock 2/Sorcerer X) worth it? If so, what element should I go for with my Sorcerer?
>>
>>51344438
Not any more they aren't.

They were, briefly, because Twinned Spell Scorching Rays gave you that sweet sweet succ. But it was errata'd out.
>>
>>51344438
I you can get Radiant or Psychic, use that
>>
>>51343697
Alright, I'll go with the skills.

I got 15, 15, 13, 12, 12, 11 for my stats.

What do?
>>
I'm planning to play a cleric for an upcoming game and would like some help building him. Doesn't have to be perfectly optimized, but I've never played a cleric so I have some questions.

He's going to be a half-orc (so already unoptimized I think) and I'm thinking of choosing either tempest or war domain and leaning more towards tempest.

My initial thought was to have him be somewhat of a tank and melee fighter since I'm not sure the party will have one. Using 27 point buy he'd have:
STR 17, DEX 10, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 8
First ability score improvement would boost STR and WIS. Future improvements would go into WIS and STR and maybe pick up War Caster at some point.

But then I've read that Clerics should primarily be casting spells in combat so maybe he doesn’t need that much STR. Something like this:
STR 16, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8
Maxing WIS as soon as possible and then maybe CON or STR. Also War Caster.

I would like him to be able to run into combat and still be able to cast good spells but I’m unsure how to balance it. Am I asking for too much? Is a melee focussed cleric even viable?
How much STR is required to keep up accuracy and (melee)damage while mainly boosting WIS for spells?
Is War Caster required if I expect to be frontline and when should I pick it up?
Are there any other feats I should take?

Thanks.
>>
>>51344209
I point out neither. Better everyone is blissfully ignorant and not caring than making someone annoyed that you pointed something out
>>
>>51344313
>>51344290
>>51344266

Not having fun lewds is winning!?
>>
File: A word of advice.jpg (91KB, 863x1300px) Image search: [Google]
A word of advice.jpg
91KB, 863x1300px
>>51344516
You know what's the right thing to do.
>>
>>51342164
One of the few things my DM did that didn't fuck me over was to say that if my drow had been on the surface for over 10 years, I could forget about the disadvantage because he should have adapted by that point.
>>
>>51344516
Yes. D&D is not an ERP system, at least not since 3.5 Book of Erotic Adventures. Go away.
>>
>>51344458

Who would ever okay that?

>>51344456

So it's official, all mages are Batman faggots now?
>>
>>51344469
As a melee cleric, you should be using your concentration on Spirit Guardians - it's a aoe that continuously damages anyone standing near you. As a bonus action, meanwhile, you can be using healing word to raise your allies from dying or cast spiritual weapon to deal damage.
You probably want to wield a greataxe and get Great Weapon Master feat, so you'll actually do damage without an extra attack. Flank your enemies with a buddy for an advantage.
>>
>>51343132
I read this as "underwater dragon" and maybe that should be an idea for you.
>>
>>51344549
>now

Where've you been? Mages have always been the supreme meme utility Batman preptime faggots.

They're mostly used for the busted Simulacrum/Wish combo bullshit.
>>
>>51343173
>>51343101
Good GM - "I'll allow you a chance - roll to see if you succeed"
Bad GM - "No, you can't do that"
Horrible GM - "Don't do that, it'd ruin the story. Fine, if you insist on doing it, a dragon comes in and eats you. No, you can't fight it, I'm the DM - I'm God."
>>
>>51344051
In any case, reaching 0 HP means it is 'defeated'. That doesn't mean it isn't torn apart. That doesn't mean it is torn apart.

What 0 HP means is completely up to the DM, as it is not solidly defined for monsters, other than the baseline 'Usually, the monster just fucking dies.'
It also rules that 'well, if it's an important NPC or something, you could say they have a reserve extra will to fight so they don't just die.'

It's basically giving the DM the choice for monsters. Not so much choice for players considering all players have death saves as default and all kinds of bullshit and wouldn't like having their arms cut off, but it gives DMs the right to say 'no, you're going to have to try a little harder than just say all your attacks are non-lethal if you want to take them out.'

In a normal campaign where there's barely any reason to take anything hostage half the time it's fine to say 'yeah, you can just incapacitate them whenever, we don't need complicated rules for this' but in a campaign where there'd be serious benefit to knocking everything out instead of killing it, it's a bit much and kind of just says 'everybody go melee, get a wolf barbarian, also get a cart and about a hundred shackles.'
>>
File: Everybodys Getting Raped.png (141KB, 417x365px) Image search: [Google]
Everybodys Getting Raped.png
141KB, 417x365px
>>51344631
>Simulacrum/Wish combo
>>
>>51344631
Has anyone in this thread actually seen someone take advantage of simulacrum/wish in person?
>>
>>51344533

You can be sad by yourself.

>>51344545
>not playing pretend

Normies ruined /tg/.
>>
>>51344469
Higher wis is more important than str, but with point buy you aren't gonna get 16 at first lvl half ork. I'd go with your second stat array for extra beef as clerics are only d8 for health. Tempest is going to be better in the long run, (not to mention cooler imo) as you'll be able to wack someone good AND cast kick ass spells. Tempest has some sick domain spells too. You'll be able to front line with ac and melee attacks but also able to bless others/yourself or shield of faith at first level which is great for anyone. Third level you spirit weapon which basically means two attacks per turn. Focus wis and hope you get gloves of ork/giant str from your dm. My life cleric got str gloves and being able to wack someone good instead of blowing a spell slot every now and then is prime. If your dm is a stickler for casting rules then war caster would probably be a decent choice.
>>
>>51344698
anime is shit
>>
>>51344631

>mostly used for
>a combo that requires 9th level spells
>that the average non pussy GM would veto as being bullshit
>MOSTLY USED FOR

do you actually play games anon or do you just regurgitate what the internet tells you
>>
File: original (4).jpg (214KB, 1024x799px) Image search: [Google]
original (4).jpg
214KB, 1024x799px
How do you like your warlocks?
>>
>>51344649
Depends on the players though. What if you are playing with a bunch of submissives that like to be told they can't do stuff?
>>
>>51344698
Just watch some porn holy shit my guy
>>
>>51344631

Jesus Christ WotC. No, I don't just mean Wizards, I mean all casters. Like, they don't even come from a real mythological archetype, it's just a smug nerd's fantasy of being able to control the world without leaving his mom's basement. No blasting, just "lel I cast le sleep" and other such bullshit.

They also tend to be the same people who insist that their characters can use modern science ingame with one side of their mouth and that RAW is the literal physics of the gameworld with the other, all with the same identical, stupid smirk on their face and the same look of slack-jawed stupidity when you tell them that their railgun doesn't work, and neither does the peasant railgun.

I'm almost glad this hobby is dying, they're the same people who will welcome the attention whore feminists with open arms and eagerly add options for pansexual bigender demikin characters to their games.
>>
>>51344721
I've done the combo no less than three times with two different GMs.

What is there to veto as bullshit? It doesn't bend any rules at all.

Please, go on.
>>
>>51344768
>Just watch some porn holy shit my guy
>3dpd
Holy shit get out you unvirgin.
>>
>>51344406
IIRC, 4e removed the Wall and 5e put it back.
>>
>>51344773
So anyone who uses Sleep instead of magic missile is a smug nerd?
>>
>>51344589
Id say a shield is better, 10% less chance an enemy can break your concentration
>>
>>51344777
It doesn't bend any rules, but if you allow that shit you're obviously asking for trouble. Your GMs are pretty dense desu.
>>
>>51344782
Dude not my fault I don't get a boner to drawings. Go back to the other thread we want to shitpost about UA in peace.
>>
>>51344465
>rolling for stats
>5e
Fucking rolled stats DMs.

Not that those stats are really much better than point buy.

And, as I said, don't knock getting a wizard cantrip for 'shape water' or something. You can come up with lots of creative uses for that, and artificers don't get cantrips, though they do get to pour acid on everything.

If you want to be a metagaming munchkin, you'd make sure you have stealth, athletics, perception as skills and perhaps of lesser importance persuasion and perhaps nature as proficient skills. You'd take 15 int, 15 con, 13 dex, 12 wisdom, 12 charisma and 11 strength. Then apply racial bonuses, +1 on int and con. Can always get resilient (dex) later to boost it to 14 or something. You always take healing draught, and thunderstone is also recommendable. You always have a shield with you, but you don't wear it all the time. You also take cure wounds as a spell, consider you can use disguise self on everybody using infusions for great utility and consider shield of faith for support.
And that's really the basics. But you don't have to follow any of the above instructions at all, because that's just optimizing it.
>>
>>51344750
Afraid.
>>
>>51344773
Unlike a lot of shit that wildly abuses RAI/RAW like peasant railgun, Wish/Simulacrum will work without any kind of hang-ups, provided you shell out the dough to cast Simulacrum once properly before you start the chain.

It's WotC's fault for letting Wish have free run on lower level spells. Even True Polymorph utterly destroys the game, so, whatever.
>>
>>51344768
>being a prude trying to pretend he's too much of a normie for lewd games

Even more pathetic than the Pathfondlers tbqh.
>>
>>51344777

this may be hard for you to comprehend but many gm's will see an obvious exploit that breaks the game and tell the player to get fucked
>>
tomorrow I'm starting a campaign with some friends who have never played before

These guys dont even know what rpg means. Never played before. Complete fratty dudebros.

So what the fuck do I do? Even something like lmop would be too much i think. Anyone have a good, simple dungeon crawl adventure?
>>
>>51344793

I'd throw the word "fag" in there somewhere. Who else would, when studying magic, go "Oh this is a sweet arcane machine gun...but I think I'd rather have magic nyquil instead. Yeah, totally not because I want to fondle the goblins' penises while they're passed out, it's because it's mechanically optimal."
>>
>>51344589
Spirit Guardians looks pretty cool. Will I have good enough accuracy to use Great Weapon Master? And do you think the additional damage from Greataxe beat the AC I get from a shield?

>>51344714
Thanks. I kind of forgot about magic items that would help this build. Having 16 in CON would help with concentration checks too I guess.
DM will most likely be using rules as written for spells. When should I pick up War Caster?
>>
>>51342615
not wishing for portal to the elemental plane of water or 1000 decanter of endless water? Well he deserved it.
>>
File: 9prNBRS.png (209KB, 1275x866px) Image search: [Google]
9prNBRS.png
209KB, 1275x866px
>>51344841
>>
>>51344773
So let me get this straight: casting sleep instead of magic missile is destroying this hobby and you somehow know that people who do this are also fond of SJWs?
>>
>>51344438
If you have a ranged team, absofuckinglutely. The pushback is insane.

It's 2 sorcerery points for every quickened spell, but you can always sacrifice spells for more of them. Or you can even cast hex or a spell and then cast eldritch blast, knock yourself out.

What you lack in wizard's utility you make up for in an obnoxious one-trick-pony ability that knocks the fuck out of anything away from you while simultaneously damaging it. The people who're saying 'no' can go fuck themselves.

Also, darkness+EB spam. If you're allowed shadow sorcerer, become a shadow sorcerer and be OP as shit.
>>
>>51344889
Most low level Wizards aren't adventurers. Sleep, unlike Charm Person lets you molest the tavern wenches without them remembering they were magicked afterwards
>>
If there is a single target asleep, by spell or otherwise, should there be a mechanical difference for going up to slit said targets throat? Like a single hobgobbo affected by sleep in the waning rounds of combat should they still keep rolling to hit and for damage and shit?
>>
Anons? Inspired by Dragonlance back in 3.5, I want to try and make a viable Half-Goblin race for 5e. How overpowered does this look?

Half-Goblin
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Sneaky Git: A half-goblin is automatically proficient in Stealth.
Me Mind's Me Own: A half-goblin adds its Proficiency bonus to Wisdom saves vs. Fear and Charm effects. Additionally, it has Advantage on counter-checks against Intimidation and Persuasion attempts.
Nimble Escape: A half-goblin can Disengage or Hide as a bonus action on its turn.
>>
>>51344899
>god realizes he can't just fuck with the world however he pleases
>has to use clerics and such
>the only person who even knows he exists is bard
>almighty god tells bard:
>"You must make a pump across from the elemental plane of water using the last wish."
>you used the last wish you doofus don't you remember
>"Fuck."
>>
>>51344757
I'm not. That was a real example.
>>
File: 49f[1].jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
49f[1].jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>51344773

It's truly a wonderful thing to watch you lose your shit, Anon.
>>
>>51344967
Why in the hell does a half goblin have a Charisma bonus
>>
>>51344877
Let them do what they want.

Put them in a familiar situation they can relate to, like a tavern or something, before guiding them into a cool and epic adventure. Be descriptive so they don't get bored, honestly for a first time don't take it very seriously, they might get pushed away. If they want to roll for something idiotic and stupid let them, if they enjoy it, they'll slowly mellow out and start to get more involved in a more serious side of the hobby.

Alternatively, that might turn them into That Guys, but everyone was a That Guy when they first started playing, so don't worry too much. Let them do whatever, give them a cliche story that they'll eat up, nothing that will make them need to ponder the reality of the world or any bullshit like that, nothing too lethal, but enough of a challenge for newbies to the hobby.

Basically treat it like you're playing with kid, except they're liquored up testosterone-fueled kids.
>>
Character has...

Now that I've returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.

He wants to do shrooms. alot.

how do I do this?
>>
>>51344957
If your DM doesn't just say "okay there's only one blinded, paralyzed, poisoned, sleeping goblin left, so combat's over and anyone who wants to murder him can" he's just wasting your time. Shit my DM would do that even if it was a giant instead of a goblin.
>>
>>51344957
Mechanically, by RAW, your attack has advantage and automatically crits on hit.

I'm not sure what more you want.
>>
>>51344983
Honestly, I'm uncertain of that, but, since Charisma is the "willpower" stat in 5e, and they have 3.5 lore that looks like this...

[quote]
Half-goblins are typically confident, self-assured, and filled with a zealous drive to surpass themselves and their heritage. This may strike a curious contrast to their poor Charisma, but in truth, their expression of their own divided bloodline comes across to most others as overbearing, arrogant, or aggressive. This can score them points in societies that value or respect this kind of approach, but most of the civilized races of Ansalon see half-goblins as very obnoxious until they reveal more of themselves.

A half-goblin will see the bigger picture when confronted by a gulf between any two groups, so he pushes the issue whenever the question of taking sides comes up. He will suggest that
a compromise can be reached or that both sides must come together to oppose a larger problem.

Half-goblins are larger and less awkward-looking than their goblin cousins, but those who grow up among goblins learn to move as they do—swift, short bursts, followed by sniffing the air and investigating the environment. Half-goblins from human towns or settlements never learn this sort of behavior.

Both types of halfgoblin are confident, rarely showing any sign of cowardice or even caution. Thus, while they may have the right skills for stealth, most choose not to use it unless there is a need.
[/quote]
>>
>>51344777
I'm the GM and I veto obviously exploitative bullshit like what you're trying to pull.
>>
File: normiesleave.jpg (37KB, 480x438px) Image search: [Google]
normiesleave.jpg
37KB, 480x438px
>>51344813

Why don't you go back to plebbit, normie?

>>51344838

When you're almost level 20 it's kind of expected reality breaks a little around you. There are worse things to bitch about.

>so, whatever.

Christ, man, Trump is president now. Talk like you don't have a limp wrist and a lisp. You don't have to be ashamed of being a man anymore.
>>
>>51345045
>>51344957
And, I mean, by RAW you should be able to shackle them, prone them, grapple them, do all sorts of shit like that without them waking up if you don't shake them too hard or hurt them.

If there's no other creatures left everybody in the party can prepare an action to hit him and then you hit him, you crit him, then everybody else in the party makes an attack. At that point if you don't manage to kill them, it'd be surprising. And that's exactly why >>51345029 shows through that you don't need to fuck about because unless the players are dumb it won't pose a threat.
>>
>>51345115
whatever
>>
>>51345115
>You don't have to be ashamed of being a man anymore.
>Projection
Damn, /pol/ really is leaking out and into the sane boards.
>>
>>51344898
It's hard to say when you should get the feat. Getting wis to 16 then 18 is pretty important, but so is casting spells. See what some of your more common spells require. If they just need M and or V you can cast with a shield if your holy symbol is on it. If you need S then you'd need to stow your weapon. See how often that comes up. If not often, war caster can wait.
>>
The Alchemist Artificer can heal thousands of people in a day. How can Clerics even compete?
>>
>>51344902

Glad you realized the error of your ways, happy lewding!
>>
>>51345159
By healing for a significant amount of HP.
>>
>>51345115
>>>>>/pol/
>>51345169
Delete this post
>>
>>51345150
The /pol/icons will get what's coming to them when they're finally forced to accept that Trump and his cronies want to ban porn, prosecute obscenity, and shutter Net Neutrality. No more free, legal lolis. They'll have to awoo in Hell.
>>
>>51344777
>'yeah, nah, just because you have wish doesn't mean I'll let you cast everything for free'
>'yeah, nah, you can only have one simulacrum at a time'
>'yeah, nah, I'm not letting you have more than one clone at a time / store them in a demiplane and still get to them on death'

The DM has every right to fuck with these high level spells that can potentially break games if they see you're about to abuse it to hell and back, and if you complain then you're pretty much whining about how you're the wziard so you should be much better than everybody else.

If what you did wasn't ruining anyone (including the DM's) fun and the DM allowed it, that's fine.
>>
File: carlcuck[1].jpg (39KB, 600x615px) Image search: [Google]
carlcuck[1].jpg
39KB, 600x615px
>>51344910

People who don't want to go on actual adventures or do epic things, just feel like smug puppetmasters are, yes. They're also chronically spineless and, in my experience...which I actually have because unlike probably you I actually play these games...they tend to be the most beta bitchboi whiteknights in existence. I would hypothesize that this is because they are triggered by more masculine character concepts, doers and action-takers, usually as a result of being bullied.

>>51344929

That's not less creepy dude. This is why some places don't allow unregistered magi.
>>
>>51345154
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks.
>>
>>51345159
While mechanically they can do that, a good artificer player will take for granted that there aren't arbitrary 'you can only use a 100 of these every day' or 'you have to pay money to use these' limits because those limits would be no fun, and instead of those limits you're trusted to not be a douche about your infinite potions. Fluff-wise, your character still has to make all that shit, they've simply just handwaved the mechanical details of doing that because that's no fun.

Spend half an hour burning a hole through the roof of a dungeon with acid, sure, but spend eight hours doing it and you'll deserve shadey looks from your DM much like how you'll get shadey looks if you say you're going to spam a cantrip all day long.
>>
>>51345253
>>51345115
>>51345169
I'm tired of living.
>>
why is it that every time i see someone lose their fucking mind about SJWs ruining x, y, and z or shitting up a thread, everything was actually fine until the complainer showed up and started shitting everywhere
>>
>>51345253
Why are their other 1st level spells besides Burning Hands and Magic Missile then if only fags use them?
>>
>>51345340
Because we are being baited by a troll by both /pol/ rhetoric and lewd chinese cartoons.
>>
>>51345338
I feel you anon
>>
>>51345340
I can't imagine anyone actually holds these opinions, so I'm guessing it's bait.
>>
The night hags in CoS are a deadly encounter to a party of 4 level 11s. Why does it say this is a suitable encounter for level 4s?
>>
>>51341060
So I was checking out 5etools and only the Spells and Feats section worked, everything else is just blank for me
>>
>>51345272
Before you know it you'll be blasting fuckers full of lightning, thunder, and radiant damage non stop. 16 str and a nice weapon are cool and nice backups, but won't be your #1 game plan for long.
>>
>>51345350
I use Mage Armour and Shield all the time, so I can confirm that only cucks do that.
>>
>>51345454
I thought CoS only went to level 10?
>>
>>51344899
A couple threads ago it was demonstrated that a portal to the elemental plane of water doesn't work because of pressure differentials.
>>
Anons? In a homebrew setting I'm working on, Drow don't worship Lolth and instead come from a culture that places heavy emphasis on the use of necromancy and enchantment magic.

If I replace the Drow Magic racial trait with one that gives them access to one of two distinct spell-lists (Dancing Lights/Animal Friendship/Enthrall vs Chill Touch/Ray of Sickness/Ray of Enfeeblement), would that be overpowered?
>>
>>51345477
It does.
>>
>>51345340

I have a system now for sorting /pol/posting from actual discussion

if it reads like the poster is having a conniption, skip the post or [smug anime face.jpg]
>>
>>51341060
First draft for that one anon that wanted guidelines for creating Fire Emblem characters in 5e. Threw in some variant rules I thought of on the fly to help emulate Fire Emblem more.
>>
>>51345413
>I can't imagine anyone actually holds these opinions
Have you been to /pol/ lately? Go ahead, click on the link at the bottom of the thread, take a nice long look.
>>
>>51344916

Shadow Sorcerer sounds like the hypest shit, how do I become one?
>>
>>51345485

Personally I'd say make it a single set of three spells drawing from both necromancy and enchantment.
>>
>>51345567
Go back in time and get one of your ancestors to fuck a shadowcreature.
>>
>>51345567
Check out the light and dark! UA, take 1 level in sorc, you won
>>
>>51344957

I want to say it would be automatic, but I once had a DM that made me roll to hit nonliving, nonmobile objects. Never underestimate the sheer uncreative stupidity of some DMs, especially ones who run modules instead of coming up with their own shit.
>>
>>51345566
I mean the opinion that casting sleep instead of magic missile means you're a cuck/nu-male/beta. That seems like a bit much.
>>
>>51344967
>goblin
>resistant to fear and charm

Get the fuck out.

>How overpowered does this look?

You knew it was a bad idea before you even started you colossal tool.
>>
>>51345607
Well, structures and objects do have ACs. I don't quite understand why when you could just run damage threshold instead but they do.
>>
>>51345607
We'll some things like nets, ropes, doors, walls, etc have AC. Ropes and nets have piss poor ac while iron doors and walls have higher AC. Yea you'll be able to hit it every time, but you might not damage that iron door or chest or wall. AC isn't always just dodging out of the way, it represents deflecting/taking blows for no dmg too.
>>
>>51345529
Not that anon but this is pretty neat.
>Druids are based on 5e's wizard/warlock and not druids.
>>
>>51345529
>weapon triangle
I'm not running a 5ire Emblem campaign but I am gonna use this now.
>>
>>51341618
I've been meaning to use this if it is of any help.
>>
File: 1470867559376.png (249KB, 500x251px) Image search: [Google]
1470867559376.png
249KB, 500x251px
>>51345666
Druid in Fire Emblem are dark magic users though. The 5e Druid didn't fit FE Druid, although if I implement the Laguz they would make use of the Druid for shapeshifting

>>51345672
I'm glad you like it. Adding a static bonus to attack rolls was also considered but I tried to avoid static bonuses as much as possible and settled for rerolling weapoon damage.
>>
>>51345742
Yeah druid wouldn't actually fit. It's still funny I think.
>>
>>51345338

Yet another victory for necromancy.
>>
File: 1472373346761.jpg (103KB, 400x315px) Image search: [Google]
1472373346761.jpg
103KB, 400x315px
>>51345761
Hilariously, even if you used their name of Sorcerer in the newer games, it still wouldn't fit.
>>
>>51345692
Definitely gives some spells that I completely forgot about so thanks though the lack of that 3rd party book limits some of them greatly.
Book of Lost Spells (BoLS)
Wild Magic
Lots of force damage (raw magic) and color based things
>1
Magic Missile, Color Spray
>2
Luck of the Saints (BoLS), Force Wave (BoLS)
>3
Chaosbolt (BoLS), Blink (or spirit guardians)
>4
Rainbow Spear (BoLS), Confusion
>5
Rainbow Staff (BoLS), Wall of Force
>>
>>51345340

I guess you're a fan of futa Corellon then?
>>
>>51345635
Except, guess what! Krynn's Half-Goblins are characterized BY being extremely brave and resistant to both fear and mind control! As in, this is what they looked like in 3.5:

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Medium
Base speed 30 feet
Darkvision 60 feet
+2 racial bonus on Bluff and Move Silently
+4 racial bonus on Will saving throws to resist Charm, Compulsion and Fear effects.
Favored Class: Any

Look into racial lore before making stupid comments.

>>51345586
Hmm... good point, and honestly I'd prefer to do it that way. Just need to figure out what spells work best.
>>
>>51345567

This.

Imagine you're some bar wench, and because it's your job, you have to serve drinks to some adventurers and their fat slob of a Wizard is hitting on you. “I'm Morrrrty.” He wheezes, his moobs puffing with pride, “I'm a Divineeeer, that means I'm mechanically optimal. I can see that you and me are gonna get reeeeal close cutie...cause I see the future, get it?” He snorts with laughter at his own words, “I have Asssperger's so don't be mean to me okay?”

You're terrified that any second now he's going to cast Sleep and touch you, when all of a sudden he and his entire party are annihilated in a cacaphony of arcane might. The inn slowly reforms, caught in the arcane whirlpool of a true magus, and you look up with a gasp to see the most charismatic of motherfuckers, he who stands above other mages like a tiger among housecats. He catches your tray of meads before it falls. “Who...who are you?” You gasp, your heart thudding to a wild flamenco beat.

“I am the Shadow Sorcerer.” He replies, with double Fonzie fingerguns, and you feel your panties explode into fae dust. You are already pregnant with the next destined hero-king of the land you're in. As he leaves you feel the stirrings of utmost sorrow, for you will never tame his wild spirit.

That is the Shadow Sorcerer.
>>
Grungs or Bullywugs?
>>
>>51345878
I think you should change the proficiency into advantage if only to avoid it clashing with certain classes. I'd probably also change nimble escape into just a hide proficiency since it seems like it gets a bit much otherwise. There might be better fits than charisma for the ability point, but it doesn't really sound like there's anything that fits in general
>>
Anyone have that character sheet that paired the skills with their respective stat? Ie stealth sleight of hand etc were grouped and right next to dex

I need the simplest sheet we have, less that can confuse my players the best. Had a guy who has been using INT for anything not physical cause that's what he thought made sense
>>
>>51345878

That doesn't make them any less gay, nor you. Now why don't you take your shitty Gobbosues and fuck right off?

This is the same setting that had Kender and Gully Dwarves, dumb caricature races aren't any better because they happened to come from what had the misfortune to be an actual published setting.
>>
I have a hunch you're mostly DMs, but I might be wrong.
http://www.strawpoll.me/12174933
>>
>>51345529
This is pretty good but it seems like running an fe-scale battle with 5e's rules might be kind of cumbersome.
Also the role that mages play in 5e is wildly more versatile than in fe, if you think that's worth addressing.
I'd love to see some rules related to unpromoted classes/promotion tacked on to this.
>>
>>51346004
>not playing a CN xaosectis kender bard of the college of satire
>not making your DM's brain explode
Pathetic
>>
>>51345529
Hey, I'm that anon! Thankfully I managed to avtually find this
>>
File: smuganimegirl2.gif (2MB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
smuganimegirl2.gif
2MB, 533x300px
>>51345616

Hits a bit close to home for you, doesn't it?
>>
>>51345975
Hmm, Advantage on those saves might be better, yeah. Probably fits the 3.5 crunch better too.

Nimble Escape is actually taken directly from the Goblin race in Volo's Guide, plus, they already get a free Stealth Proficiency and there's no separate Hide Proficiency in 5e anymore.

Yeah, the +1 Cha both fits and doesn't fit, so I'm really not sure what else to give them. Maybe +1 Int, given they are characterized as "seeing the bigger picture"?
>>
>>51346108
>starting an argument only to immediately admit defeat
>>
>>51345992

https://www.docdroid.net/KX5FEkY/tgcharactersheet-v15-spellcaster-formfillable.pdf.html
>>
File: 1470954304386.jpg (74KB, 299x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470954304386.jpg
74KB, 299x375px
>>51345878
>-2 Charisma becomes +1 Charisma because I like how silly they are XD
>>
>>51346108
>gif
>of a bunch of talking
>with no subs
man you can't even meme right
>>
File: laughing elves.gif (875KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
laughing elves.gif
875KB, 500x281px
>>51345913
>You are already pregnant with the next destined hero-king of the land you're in

Mother of God.
>>
>>51344916
I keep seeing mention of Shadow sorcerer but what is never mentioned is what actually makes them OP.
>>
>>51346164
Real talk: why the fuck did Dwarves and Half-Orcs have -2 Charisma in past editions? The books beat you over the head with how Charisma isn't personal attractiveness or merely a reflection of how you are perceived in social situations (hence the hundreds of "circumstancial" bonuses for dealing with your own race or a certain gender depending on the situation), but sheer force of personality.

If you walk into a fucking bar and there's a member of every race in there, OBVIOUSLY the Dwarf and the Half-Orc are the ones who are going to be the center of attention. Those fuckers are full of personality. They should have had a bonus to Cha, if anything.
>>
I need a killable monster that could overturn a wagon with 4 level 1 characters in it.
>>
>>51346078

You didn't need to make that post, it was already painfully evident your tastes were shit.
>>
>>51345913
Why is there so much hate for diviners? They're super fun to play.
>>
File: bulette.jpg (814KB, 1500x1588px) Image search: [Google]
bulette.jpg
814KB, 1500x1588px
>>51346226
>>
>>51346226
bear
>>
>>51346226
A bull.
>>
>>51346220
Their problems are probably that they have too much personality.

While they're strong on the 'down to earth leader' sort of front, they're really goddamn bad at tact. 'So I hear your wife died last night, eh'

But then 5e came along and fixed everything by getting rid of the negative modifiers because fuck that.
>>
>>51345253
I mean this is 200% bait but why not eh.
I've been playing a wizard for the most part in the last 14 years.
I'm also 6'4" and weigh 255lbs and work as a welder and been picking up blacksmithing lessons.
At this point I am more beard than man.
>>
>>51346254
Can level 1s kill a Buletté?
>>
>>51346283
So why don't small races have strength penalties? Maybe they're like chimps or something. Those guys are small but they'll tear your arms off.
>>
>>51346220
I always figured that, for dwarves, it's because they're stubborn, surly, grumpy assholes so nobody is inclined to listen to them. Half-orcs... no idea; they're too blunt-spoken and brutish?

Really, that's the problem with Charisma; it wants to be the Willpower stat AND the Social Interaction stat, and those two aren't related.
>>
>>51346140
>making a nonsensical post to obfuscate one's butthurt because they're triggered.

Fun fact, most Batman mages are also NARPs who would have no idea which spells to prepare in an actual game. They're fans of gaming in theory, but what they really do is come to /tg/ and make up scenarios where they "just so happened" to have the perfect spell prepared for the occasion and showed the whole party they "you shouldn't underestimate nerds XD". I'm trying to help you, buddy. Get off the shit character archetype and start REALLY roleplaying. Don't be a sheep, drop the Sleep.
>>
>>51346213
>you cannot die: the ability (unless an enemy deals massive damage, crits or deals radiant damage, but how many enemies deal radiant damage?)
>darkess for EVEN CHEAPER than a level 1 spell slot
>personal devil's sight
>disadvantage hound: heightened spell, but better in several ways including giving you a hound to bite at your enemy's ankles the whole time
>shadow monk's main attraction, except with DOUBLE RANGE
>a bear barbarian's rage but better for 3 sorcerery points

Mostly the level 1 feature because, say, someone with +10 to con saves is now really hard to bring from 1 HP to 0 HP
And if you do reach 0 HP, have somebody heal you for 1 HP again.
>>
>>51346324
They have dex and disadvantage with heavy weapons which means that they're unlikely to have a high strength and thus the game doesn't need to give you a negative penalty, players will likely dump strength anyway.
>>
>>51346213

They're the Donald Trump or John Cena of Sorcerers, empowered by meme magic to stand above lesser mortals.
>>
>>51346345
>>
>>51346226
A horse.
>>
>>51346220
Because D&D assumes you have to deal primarily with humans session to session.

And Dwarves are cunts from a human perspective
>>
>>51346391
Ding-ding, we have a winner.
>>
>>51346220
>t. an ugly person with low Charisma who thinks his "personality" matters.

There's a reason why you're still a virgin.
>>
>>51346226
You don't need one.
>>
>>51346283
>But then 5e came along and fixed everything by getting rid of the negative modifiers because fuck that.
Did you miss Volo's guide to monsters? Sadly, penalties to stats are back.
>>
>>51346226

I would say human protesters but they can barely overturn a trash can.
>>
>>51346397
The problem is that there are mechanical benefits to having high Charisma outside of social situations. How other races react to you shouldn't enter into that.
>>
>>51346356
>personal devil's sight
This will never come up in any reasonable game, since you end up fucking your friends over by just smashing darkness over it.

>darkess for EVEN CHEAPER than a level 1 spell slot
See above.

>you cannot die: the ability (unless an enemy deals massive damage, crits or deals radiant damage, but how many enemies deal radiant damage?)
I mean shit, face a giant and you're looking at a DC of atleast 25 to use that ability so good luck with that.

>disadvantage hound
Hound is legit, gotta give it that.
>shadow monk's main attraction, except with DOUBLE RANGE
Also legit, true that.
>a bear barbarian's rage but better for 3 sorcerery points
Aye sure, but at lvl 18 though, so it wouldn't really come into play in 90% of the campaigns one might do.

Not saying it's bad, just saying that it seems overrated and not that OP at all.
It's not like Twilight druids who can just smash another 5d10 worth of damage into blaster spells.
>>
>>51346316
I would say no unless its a shit ton of level 1s.
It will be killing a party member every attack. Not just knocking them out, outright killing them. This is assuming a direct fight with a full health bulette though. Smart play vs stupid enemies means PCs can accomplish anything.
>>
File: Clemmy 10.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Clemmy 10.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>51346390

Weren't you just bitching about anime reaction images? It seems a little hypocritical, don't you think?
>>
>>51346452
Oh no, Kobolds have low strength. The world is ending!
>>
>>51346316
Level 1s can kill anything if you lower its stats enough.
>it's a baby bulette
>>
>>51343173
Good DM: "I am ruling this does not work in this campaign/setting so no"
Good DM: "I am ruling this does work in this campaign/setting so yes
Better DM: "I guess it could work but am doubtful so I will let you roll for it"
Fun DM: "I can see that working given your character and the scenario. I will allow it"
>>
>>51346452
Yeah, but that's Volo's, and they made stupid shit like Aasimar (You can fly! You can heal! You can deal extra damage! You can cast more things! You get damage resistance! You win!) and pureblood yuan-ti (Haha gnomes have advantage on wis saves against magic so wwhy not make a race that has advantage to all saves against magic?) whilst simultaneously also making stuff like hobgoblin (+1 int, light armour proficiency, martial weapon proficiency.. Hobgoblins totally aren't 95% mages, guys)
>>
>>51346226
a /d/orse.
>>
>>51346510
HMM I'm gonna do a baby t-rex
>>
>>51346492
Darkness over yourself/an enemy or two is handy more often than you give it credit
>>
>>51346531

That might be a bit much for level 1.
>>
>>51346331
It's not willpower like resisting social influences. It's willpower like saying "This is me." It's the "be yourself" stat. It helps you resist things that tamper with your self metaphysically instead of just physically. Dwarves don't have it because all dwarves are the same. Half-orcs don't have it because half-orcs wish they could be humans or orcs or someone else, or something.
>>
File: 1470869668590.jpg (233KB, 1143x950px) Image search: [Google]
1470869668590.jpg
233KB, 1143x950px
>>51346066
I had rules for unpromoted units but ran into trouble with some classes promoting into a promoted class that utilizes an archetype they didn't have access too, like a 5e Fighter promoting into the FE Berserk which uses the 5e Barb Berserker. Obviously a Fighter can't take a Barbarian's primal path so I just decided to drop it for now, with your unpromoted class just being what you are before you take an archetype.

I woudn't mind fleshing that system out if I could find a workaround for it, but the unpromoted stage of the game only really lasts for 1-3 levels, so I don't know if it'd even really be worth it

And yes, I agree on the large scale battle viewpoint, but some people like to manage large armies, so I implemented that as an optional variant rule for those who want to use it

>>51346085
Glad it made it to you.
>>
>>51346505
You silly-billy, you really don't understand anything do you?
>>
So is there any page reference for making/editing monsters to fit a certain CR. By the bulette I can see that a CR 5 has defenses about 100 hp and 17 AC with about 30 DPR.
>>
>>51346552
Not really seeing it, since in most parties you end up with atleast one, usually two really strong martials.
This just ends up fucking them in the ass completely in most scenarios.

Maybe if there were two archers or casters close to eachother on an alcove, then yeah I'd probably use darkness on them.
>>
>>51346356
>>a bear barbarian's rage but better for 3 sorcerery points
That's actually cribbed from monks. Empty Body.
>>
>>51346579
>Dwarves don't have it because all dwarves are the same. Half-orcs don't have it because half-orcs wish they could be humans or orcs or someone else, or something.
This is bullshit.

Dwarves and Half-orcs have a Charisma penalty because the developers decided they were the "ugly" races and Charisma is how physically pretty you are and the prettiness of your hair determines your ability to cast as a Sorcerer or gain bonuses to your saves as a Paladin and don't think too hard about this we're all fucking hacks
>>
>>51346600

By this point it just sounds like it hit really, really close to home what was said about Batman wizards. I'm open to whatever alternate explanation you might proffer, though.
>>
>>51346603
You give it the stats of a Brown Bear
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Brown%20Bear
but replace its attacks with bulette-themed ones and abilities like Deadly Leap
>>
>>51346492
You clearly don't understand how darkness works.

It doesn't affect your allies very much at all. They get both advantage and disadvantage, so it cancels out. If you have a devil's sight warlock, they'll love the shit out of you.
You, however, get all the advantages of it. And it's 1 sorcerery point, which is worth less than a spell slot.

Yeah, sure, sometimes someone might hit you with a particularly nasty attack and you'll fail to make the save.
Your cleric can heal you for a bit, and the next time someone tries to get you to 0 HP again they have to keep attacking you until you fail that save again.
It's a stupid ability to have as a 1 level dip, it clearly belongs as a high level feature, and even then it's concerning. If you have lucky, you can reroll any 20s against you, you can safely assume radiant damage rarely shows up.. Sorcerers get con save proficiency. You can quite easily achieve a con save of +10 or more at some point (not to mention paladin's AURA OF PROTECTION or BLESS or that other aura that gave advantage on saves.) With a con save of +10 and paladin's aura of protection, you have more than a 50% chance to make that DC 25 save. Most attacks that deal 10 or more damage cannot do shit to you. An attack that does 20 or less damage is maybe a half chance of doing something. As a one level dip ability, that's stupid. Even a paladin could take that as a one level dip because they have aura of protection on themselves all the time.
>>
>>51346600
He thinks everyone responding to him is the same person. He's hopeless.
>>
>>51346591
So with the weapon variants, silver is a +2 steps weapon. Assuming that means a shirtsword would go from 1d6-1d10, what do I do with the weapons that do 1d10 or 1d12?
>>
>>51346607
In a party vs. an enemy situation I agree with you. But when you look at multiple PCs vs. multiple enemies it's much more applicable. The martials can go fuck up the other guy/s while you darkness and wreck something else. At worst it's a little safety bubble for you as you sit back hitting shit likes it nbd and everything has disadvantage against you.
>>
>>51346637
You see newfriend, the person that said anime reaction images are dumb and the guy who used an anime reaction image are two different people. Glad I could clear that up for you.
>>
Can we just start a new and destroy this thread....
>>
>>51346671
He's from /pol/, he's used to having post IDs to hold his hand.
>>
Whats the best dm screen?
>>
>>51346640
While helpful i'm talking about general editing help like an average CR X monster will have Y DPR and Z HP/CR. Obviously its not an exact science as a 400 HP enemy that does 10 DPR is obviously not some CR 15 monster while a DPS racer is all about turn order but is there a DMG page I missed?
>>
>>51346614
Empty body is much weaker than resistance to all damage except force in terms of combat, though obviously it has better stealth implications.

There are many sources of advantage/disadvantage to take advantage of, and there are effects and spells that simply ignore those things (You can't invisible away from a fireball), and there are creatures that can see invisibility.
On the other hand, resistance to all damage when you have an ability that makes it so that low damage attacks can't knock you to 0 HP means that enemies are going to have to deal at least 30 damage to have a chance of making you unconscious.
>>
>>51346699
Not really. Just compare them to the stats of other creatures with the CR you're gunning for.
>>
>>51346693
A computer monitor and twelve hundred miles between you and the mewling fuckers you're DMing for.
>>
>>51346715
>Empty body is much weaker than resistance to all damage except force in terms of combat, though obviously it has better stealth implications.
Beginning at 18th leveI. you can use YOllraction to
spend 4 ki points to become invisible for 1 minute.
During that time, YOllalso have resistance to ali damage
but force damage.
>>
>>51346671
>>51346689

Are you really so butthurt that you have to resort to samefagging? How will Batmen Wizards ever recover?
>>
>>51346736
Oh, fuck. It seeps over a page.

You know, maybe monks aren't actually so bad at that level anyway if it wasn't for caster supremacy at high levels.
>>
>>51346643
>It doesn't affect your allies very much at all.
"A creature with darkvision can't see through this
darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it."
Ah yes, I forgot everyone has Devil's Sight because that is the only way for them to see or even function inside of darkness. Getting advantage only applies to beings who can actually see in that darkness, the group AT BEST ends up getting disadvantage if you've got a nice DM.

>cheat death mechanic or whatever you can call it
Sure, it's neat, but realistically it will be underwhelming when you need it and it will be useless in most other occasions.
The only time people have died in most of the campaigns I've been a part of, is after getting 45 - 50+ damage to the face, if not more.
Other than the extremely high damage shit, you have the entire party to make sure you won't get hit in the first place so it's a very niche ability.
>>
>>51341761
God forbid you want to make a character you enjoy playing.

Yesterday I saw a post about a Half-Orc Fighter/Warlock who fluffed it as some link to an Oni so his Pact Blade was a kanabo, and he was playing it like a delinquent yakuza dude.

Is it optimal? No. But does it sound like fun? Yeah. Will he probably enjoy it more than the min-maxing dude he will inevitably have at his table who will only use the BEST spells and weapons at all times? He, the DM and the other players will.
>>
>>51346765
>at best gets disadvantaged
What's the worst case scenario then? Double disadvantage? That doesn't exist.

Also we get that people can't see in darkness, so they get disadvantage on their attack rolls. The other person is also blinded though, meaning attack rolls against them have advatange. They cancel each other out.
>>
>>51346822
>Double disadvantage? That doesn't exist.
Sounds like a challenge mate.
>>
>>51346822
>What's the worst case scenario then? Double disadvantage? That doesn't exist.
Expelled.

Joke aside though,
>They cancel each other out.
Yeah, no they don't. What you are trying to tell me.. is that you're in complete darkness and totally blind, yet you are as precise as if it was broad daylight.

Do you realize just how retarded that sounds?
The only way that would work is if, as previously stated, you had a VERY kind DM.
>>
>>51346810
>Yesterday I saw a post about a Half-Orc Fighter/Warlock who fluffed it as some link to an Oni so his Pact Blade was a kanabo, and he was playing it like a delinquent yakuza dude.
Honestly, that's not too bad. Str Con and Cha are his prime stats and he'll get use out of all the half-orc racials.
>>
>>51346864
What you're telling me is that you're completely blind, yet you can dodge as well as if it was broad daylight.

The risk in using Darkness is that enemies can hide easily, a DM might rule that an enemy is hidden automatically, and that a bunch of spells still require you to see your target.
>>
>>51346864
Trust me, I know it's pants on head retarded, but that's how it works.

>a blinded creature can't see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight
>attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creatures attack rolls have disadvantage.

Attacking a blinded creature while being blinded yourself would give you both advantage AND disadvantage, which cancels out. I know it's dumb, but that's how it do.
>>
>>51346661
Weapon steps are usually like
1 damage >d2>d4>d6>d8>10>d12>2d6>2d8>2d10>2d12
or something

1d12 to 2d6 is the same max damage but gives a better average roll, but you could say fuck it and skip straight to 2d8 if you really wanted. It's your table so you adjust to what you group likes.
>>
>>51346765
You're a fighter. You shoot crossbow bolts.
You're in darkness. You can't see.
Enemies have only reguar darkvision, unless they're special, but let's assume these are normal enemies.

Fighter fires a bolt.
>fighter has disadvantage due to blindness
>fighter has disadvantage because he can't see target
>fighter has advantage because the target cannot see him
>fighter knows where the target is because the target would have to take the 'hide' action to conceal its position and succeed on a stealth check
Overall, the fighter gets no disadvantage or advantage.

Generally attacks don't do tonnes of damage unless they're spell effects or something.
Here's a CR 21 ancient black dragon's attack:
2d10+8 + 2d8 (28)
2d6+8 (15)
and
15d8 (67)

With resistance, these become
(14)
(7)
(34)

You can't really resist the breath, but you can easily tank out the regular attacks from its claws and wings. And this is at CR 21, let's not even start talking about its minions or at lower levels. It takes only a single level dip to get this ability, which on a class like barbarian who can easily afford to multiclass, has con save proficiency, likely has high con and has the ability to use other features to stay at 1 HP if they fail their save is kind of ridiculous.
>>
>>51346931
Ah, thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>51346810
It's not a matter of playing the most optimal thing. It's a matter of not playing the least optimal things in the game unless you're in a very light group or you're trying to nerf yourself on purpose and trying to make a suboptimal option good because you don't want to carry the team all by yourself.

And, honestly, pact of the blade is anything but fun.
>you can summon a weapon as an action
>invocation: you, err, attack more
>invocation: you, err, deal more damage
as opposed to
>you get three cantrips from any class
>invocation: you have access to all the rituals
Which has many, many more creative uses than 'summon a weapon!'
or, pact of the chain
>you get a better familiar
>invocation: some familiar stuff I guess
Familiars have many more interesting applications, too.
>>
>>51346918
If you're completely blind, you're not dodging, you're flailing wildly.

>>51346926
That's definitely not how I'd run it as a DM, because that is as you so eloquently put it, pants on head retarded.

>>51346935
>fighter knows where the target is because the target would have to take the 'hide' action to conceal its position and succeed on a stealth check
If he's completely blind, he has no idea where the target is. It's usually a side effect of not being able to see.

>Generally attacks don't do tonnes of damage unless they're spell effects or something.
Look into giants and/or other gargantuan creatures. I've personally seen a guy take 114 damage in a round at level 8 due to a gargantuan roc.
>>
>>51347018
It's never said you do not know the location of the target because you are blind. You can still hear. The effect of being blind is that attacks against you have advantage and that your attacks have disadvantage, because you can no longer rely on your sight.
You must take the hide action in order to conceal the noise you make and thus conceal your location. It's even stated 'if you are unseen and unheard and make an attack, you give away your position' - it doesn't say 'if you're unseen OR unheard'.

And it doesn't matter how much damage you take in a round, it matters how much damage you take per attack.
A gargantuan roc does 27 (halved to 13 with resistance if you have it, hint hint barbarians have resistance) or 23 (halved to 11) damage on average. Both are easily resisted.

And 5e isn't very suitable for 'single big really bad guy' combat due to action economy. You generally want several enemies, but not too many, so the attack power is often split between them. If your DM always sticks it together into one entity then your controllers must have a ball of a time incapacitating the only one target on the field.
>>
>>51344983
So that it suits his OP needs.

Every homebrew ever is shit.
>>
>>51347155
>A gargantuan roc does 27
Crits are a thing.

>It's never said you do not know the location of the target because you are blind.
????????????????????????

>If your DM always sticks it together into one entity
Where in my post did I state that we only face one huge threat at a time?

I mean there are a lot of assumptions on your part only to advocate that Darkness is the tightest shit ever apparently, even when having builds like "luldarkness+devilsightwarlockdip" is usually frowned upon a LOT by the vast majority of the playerbase simply due to the reasons I've stated.
>>
>>51347213
New thread.
>>
>>51346991
Yeah, I just forgot to put it in the pdf, but that dice progression is pretty common throughout alot of games so it's handy to have memorized

Glad you like the supplement. Have fun with it
>>
>>51347239
>>It's never said you do not know the location of the target because you are blind.
>????????????????????????
Well, it isn't. It's even explicitly stated that attacking reveals your position.
>>
>>51345253
All I have to say is that you are a stupid nigger.
>>
>>51342615
>the ending of Evangelion
>>
>>51344877
Tomb of Horrors
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
It's so hard to do an unarmed fighter without going monk. I basically hate everything monks do past Level 4. The only other option is barbarian and that's much more built towards grappling.

I just wanna punch things without having magical powers.
>>
>>51342637
>If you can't handle people correcting you on rules when you're objectively wrong you shouldn't be DMing

Whatever you say.
>>
>>51346316
How many level 1s does it take to kill Hogger?
>>
>>51346452
>sadly
>>
>>51350308
Look at the Pugilist in the trove
>>
>DM constantly just making rules up
>Other players defend it because they're friends
Fuck.
>>
>>51341288
Man, Oath of the Ancients seems really shit compared to the other oaths.
>>
anybody have that demotivator of the 8th dimensional tavern?
>>
>>51350998
It's not all shit. Aura of Warding (resistance to all spell damage for you and any friend within 10ft) is really fucking good.
OotA paladins are the tank subclass basically.
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.