[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Cleric Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 366
Thread images: 29

File: 1446773664464.jpg (476KB, 1600x2268px) Image search: [Google]
1446773664464.jpg
476KB, 1600x2268px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread: >>51307754
Post cool cleric character concepts, and general cleric spell discussion/build discussion
>>
Putting my question back up cause it was at the very end of the last thread.

Newish DM here how should I determine how much gold the party should get? Not really acquainted with the gear portion of the game yet really. Just a point to the right direction to find the info is fine.
>>
Can someone give me a good idea for a monk? It's my favorite class but I lack creativity to come up with anything more then wise old man.
>>
Anons? I don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but, I've got a bunch of races I've been trying to homebrew for 5e, and I could use some help on balancing out what I have written and picking which ones to write next. Any opinions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

I could really use help with the Forgeborn Dwarf, for starters.
>>
>>51316762

I fluff Spirit Guardians as me going super saiya-jin. It's fairly effective when I cast it as a level 5 spell, dealing 5d8 radiant damage every turn.
>>
>>51316806
Then try young student seeking his destiny
>>
File: tumblr_o3suu9x39l1u0c8uxo1_1280.png (182KB, 999x799px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3suu9x39l1u0c8uxo1_1280.png
182KB, 999x799px
Is pic related true?
>>
>>51316824
Done that. I was thinking of some kind of Longdeath monk who was a Vampire's Thrall but that seems a little edgy.
>>
How would you represent Kas in 5e? Vampire with his Sword artifact?

For a level 9/10 encounter.
>>
>>51316806
A surly english friar who loves to spend every bit of coin on temporary pleasures.
>>
Alright so I'm trying to design my character and while I've mostly got the details down, there's one weird aesthetic decision I can't decide on. (and I acknowledge this is going to end up being ridiculous but with the party I'm rolling with this is probably going to be the more conservative character)

She's a Dragonborn Cleric of Kelemvor. I had a weird idea that her holy symbol should try and mimic Kelemvor's symbol, and the idea I had was to make the actual holy symbol just be a set of scales, and then have her armor painted to look like a skeleton arm. (I think part of the joke here is that it's going to look ridiculous and probably terrifying but she doesn't see the problem with it, it's just her god's holy symbol and he's a pretty cool dude)

But then I was thinking about it and I can't decide if it's more ridiculous for the armor to be painted, or for her entire arm to just be tattooed to look like a skeleton arm. Somehow.

There's also the problem that I can't fucking draw at all, so all I can do is try and describe it instead of being able to actually draw it. (I certainly don't expect anyone to try and draw it either, although I'd appreciate it if for no other reason than for me to have a reference when I butcher my own drawing of it)

Which one of those sounds cooler/more feasible? Any other ideas?
>>
>>51316798
As I said, in the DMG, the table of spell-damage on page 284 reckons "default" damage for cantrips should be D10 for single-target spells and D6 for multi-target spells. But, yeah, I reckon the bonus damage should be enough to bump it down to D8s.
>>
So last thread I asked the best way to be a bit like Robin from Fire Emblem, and while I got some suggestions I realized there really wasn't a Tactician class. So, I decided to make a arcane tradition similar to Bladesinging for the Wizards. Tell me what you think, is it too strong? Not enough magic focused features?
>>
>>51316806
Drunken master martial artist who travels the world because he can't hold down a job or stay out of trouble.
>>
>>51316805
Gold doesn't really matter after level three or four. There's nothing to buy with it, really.
>>
>>51316806
Mafia roughneck who uses a walking staff to take care of business.
>>
>>51316806
A retired fistfighter who's recently discovered ki to make up for his aging body.
>>
>>51316806
A master craftsman who can't handle criticism of his cane collection.
>>
>>51316762
>general cleric spell discussion/build discussion
Death Domain Cleric, Soldier background. Won't shut the fuck up about his amazing plan to "conscript" the dead and render conventional war obsolete.
Keeps accidentally losing control of the undead he creates, swears it's not his fault.
>>
>>51316806
A British cop unnaturally proficient with their (reflavored monk)police weapons.
>>
I'm working on a character that is pretty much an Iron Golem, but scaled down to player-based levels. The stats are using a Drow Elf, mostly for the extended darkvision and meditate to try to hide the fact it sleeps. The Golem stuff is hidden behind lore.
My idea is that it's a prototype Golem meant to look like a masked Guard to blend into a city and help take it over from the inside. To make it more human-like, it's made out of a special metal that doesn't have the same benefits and Iron Golem metal, and has a human soul in it to give it intelligence and sentience. This backfires and it betrays its master and runs off into the world on it's own, it's main goal is to find out who the human soul that powers it was and if they had any family.
The only thing I can't think of is how to explain away eating. I don't want to make him not eat, as that would make him OP, but to hide that fact in lore. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
File: drizzt.jpg (39KB, 355x462px) Image search: [Google]
drizzt.jpg
39KB, 355x462px
Would Avandra be a good God for a ex-Lolth Drow Cleric who is a revolutionary wanting to overthrow Drow society for the betterment of all Drow?
>>
>>51316967
That's not going to make him OP at all. If you're insistent you could just say he can still eat and really likes the taste, it's not like anyone's ever starved to death in any reasonable circumstance.
>>
>>51316806
A priest who is very enthusiastic about spreading the word of his god, tending to the sick, all the things normally associated with clerics, but he just has far less magic (still has qi, so it's not being utterly magicless)
>>
>>51316967
Does your game really have food come up so often?
>>
Who here Adventurers League?
>>
Anons? I want to work on my homebrewing projects, but I can't make up my mind what to tackle - Races, Spells or Sub-Classes. Anyone got any recommendations which I should pick?

>>51316970
If you don't want to use Elistaree (or however her name's spelled), then I figure she would. Sehanine is also good if you're okay with using her Dawn War pantheon fluff.
>>
>>51316806
The typical traveling Monk seen in so many Chinese and Japanese myths, only he was the main character of all those tales. He's seen nearly everything.
>>
>>51316970
We have Oathbreaker paladins, when will we get Apostate/Heretic clerics?
>>
>>51316762

I've been running a Trickery Domain Cleric/Arcane Trickster Rogue multiclass for about a year, with the majority of it being Cleric. It has single-handedly turned Cleric into my favorite class. There's really nothing a Cleric can't do.
>>
>>51317012
I wouldn't mind seeing a more supporty barbarian subclass.
>>
>>51316988
I was kind of hoping I could make him without a mouth.
>>51317010
No, not at all really, but if asked I want to be able to explain it away.
>>
>>51317022
Clerics aren't so focused on falling, so they don't need oathbreakers.
>>
File: 1414537923592.jpg (103KB, 720x685px) Image search: [Google]
1414537923592.jpg
103KB, 720x685px
>>51316762

>>51316059
>>51316169
>>51316213

Well I'm heading to bed, so if you want it directly over Skype send an invite to obelion13. Otherwise it'll probably float through here Sunday or Monday sometime but I can't be certain when

Hope these links back to the other thread don't fuck up
>>
>>51316805
>>51316888
Now I wouldn't say that. Only players who aren't creative won't find a use for gold. Shit, the first thing I'd want to buy is a flying mount of some kind cause that shit's dank. There are plenty of other cool item and just random shit a PC might want that could be bought with gold. Hell even things like potions abd scrolls are easy money sinks.

As for how much, it depends on how much leniency you want to afford the party. If you're ok with them buying whatever they want in terms of equipment and potions and stuff then be generous. If the PCs have monetary desires that might lead to them buying gamebreaking stuff then i'd throttle it a bit. As for me I'm giving my party a somewhat generous amount just to see what they do with it.
>>
>>51317033
Something to do with fuel? Might be a bit weird how he's going to find it everywhere but it could work.
>>
>>51316854
Go with the tattoo.
>>
File: DnD_Introduction.png (101KB, 507x801px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_Introduction.png
101KB, 507x801px
>>51316762
Threadly reminder to have fun with your fantasy and gaming sessions.
Don't allow retards to enjoy your fun.
>>
Been at the task of converting an old 3.5 Warlock character to 5e for a new campaign, and I'm running into trouble. In spite of superficial similarities, 5e Warlock looks like a rather different beast to its predecessor in Complete Arcane.

Can 5e Warlock make for a good analogue to a 3.5 Warlock? Can anything, really? Is that something I shouldn't even try to recreate in this system?
>>
>>51317108
>enjoy*
ruin
>>
>>51316854
Well if her arm is covered by armor then no one will see it so that's the problem there. If the armor is painted then it'll chip and fkake needing constant repainting.

I say tattoo because if I were a cleric I would bear the holy symbol not as a display to others but as a constant reminder of my faith and servitude. It would be more for me than for the outside world. It's more about me and my connection to my god than about letting other people see that connection
>>
>>51316836

>Is pic related true?

its okay
>>
What domain would Tiamat fall under?
>>
>>51317120
I prefer it the other way
>>
>>51317163
I think the Player's Hanbook says Trickery.
>>
>>51317025
care to elaborate? i play an arcane trickster and have been thinking about multiclassing into trickster cleric
>>
>>51316836
Its okay.
>>
>>51317044
Is there a table somewhere where I can figure out hard numbers to afford or should I just know the prices of most important stuff?
>>
File: there he is get him.png (140KB, 276x216px) Image search: [Google]
there he is get him.png
140KB, 276x216px
>>51317197
>>
Sorcerer needs more love.
>>
>>51316888
You can buy poisons like Serpent Venom or Malice. Serpent Venom adds 3d6 to a weapon attack and Malice is slightly better than a scroll of Blindness.
>>
>>51317208
What's wrong with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation anon? Rules are here to make our lives easier and more predictable.
>>
>>51317281
>proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
>uses the possessive "its" instead of the contraction "it's"
>>
File: berserker_by_cristi_b-d9osegp.jpg (163KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
berserker_by_cristi_b-d9osegp.jpg
163KB, 751x1063px
>>51316806
Brutish Northman, who's lived the last few decades in isolation. Hair pulled back in a long, tight tail that looks more like a Lion's tale than anything.

You'll find refluffing even just the names of the abilities helps you expand your horizons in terms of creativity.
>>
>>51316806
Angry tough magician who cast fist spells with dramatic flair.
>>
>>51317241
Sorcerer is okay. Metamagic and Font of Magic are cool. Not sure why it doesn't just get the entire wizard spell list though.
>>
>>51317355
Because if people don't hate wizards it isn't D&D
>>
>>51317355
Certain spell combos would be op as fuck with the quicken metamagic. I like sorcerer, he's there to do damage and take long rests, and he's all out of long rests.
>>
>>51316836
fuck, i'm chaotic neutral
>>
>>51317122

Those are several good points, actually.

I was considering multiclassing monk and taking Unarmored Defense since my Wisdom and Dex are both decently high, and in that case I'd mostly just be wearing a robe (which I assume counts as no armor)

This may very well be a terrible choice, though, so I might not do it. I do think the tattoo is a great idea, though, especially for the reasons you've mentioned.
>>
>>51317355
>>
>>51317163
Trickery. PHB, 169.
>its_in_the_fucking_book.jpg
>>
>>51316836
>No "aight"

You lose. Good day, sir.
>>
>>51317384
>Fel animate
>Can be refreshed via animate dead
>Sorcerers do not get animate dead
>>
File: bonus action spells.png (114KB, 384x125px) Image search: [Google]
bonus action spells.png
114KB, 384x125px
>>51317378
>Certain spell combos would be op as fuck with the quicken metamagic

Like what? Don't forget to keep pic related in mind.
>>
>>51317417
It's for Sorc/Wiz teams
>>
>>51317401
LN.
>>
>>51317469
Can you imagine anywone lawful saying "aight?"
>>
>>51317425
Shape water and ice spells.
Grease and fire spells.
Booming blade and acid cloud.

Haven't really looked at them but it seems like there would be a lot by virtue of elemental interactions alone.
>>
File: 1454719141273.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1454719141273.gif
1MB, 268x274px
>>51316762
Can you use a two handed weapon while on a mount? Doesn't say you can but doesn't say you can't
>>
>>51317417
Honestly I'm just happy you looked at it
>>
>>51317497
The Lance, which is explicitly for mounts, is two handed.
>>
>>51317481
A lot of that is both up to GM interpretation and player creativity.

I'd appreciate seeing that sort of creativity rather than just spamming summon monster and other top-tier spells more often. It's more fun for everyone and really pushes that wizards have to fight smarter to get their really cool shit.

Most of the time, they're not really pushing anything hard mechanically, as well. Most cantrips don't do enough damage to really push the envelope, even if a grease+burning ray combo would theoretically spread the damage into a set of danger tiles, or whatnot.
>>
>>51317514
You'd definitely need to tweak some for balance but I like the variety you're giving to different builds Anon.
>>
>>51317527
But could a player use a normal two handed weapon like a maul while riding his horse or something?
>>
>>51316806
I made my monk an elf and follower of illumater (sp) to also help explanation why I had 1 level in Cleric.

Studies and trained his body to reach higher self awareness and to protect those that can't protect themselves
>>
ANons? I'm trying to homebrew up some new caster subclasses and I could really use some help.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-MEFIyT9jA8dlnomdEUNLIzV3ELhH3FWbcdxb0FSRTY/edit#

Two things in particular that are bugging me:
1: I want to do some Elemental Origins for Sorcerers, and I could use name suggestions for Air, Water and maybe Metal subclasses.

2: I desperately need feedback on how to balance out the "Rotheart" origin, which is a sort of Decay/Fungus Elementalist Origin for Sorcerers.

On a different homebrewing topic, I'm trying to convert a bunch of 4e spells to 5e - would Eldritch Rain (basically, Eldritch Blast multiple targets) be worth converting as a spell, or is it better suite to being an Invocation?
>>
>>51317527
The Lance is explicitly one handed on a mount and two handed on foot though, which is why a small sized mounted combatant can dual wield lances on his dog through the underdark
>>
>>51317207
Honestly i just kind of wing it. I looked up prices for healing potions for a bit of a reference but i'd just take a look in the phb and look at the equipment section. It gives you gold valies and should give you a rough idea of how much certain thigs cost and should let you adjusted the party wages according to what on that table you want them able to have. Most magic items are just up to you though. Just have hhe price of them be proportional to their value with respect to how much money you've been giving the party.
>>
>>51317475
I'd imagine someone CG saying it, tbqh.

>>51317281
>>51317197
>It's okay.
Don't let that fall from your high horse scare you.
>>
What do you guys usually envision for the elemental planes? It's hard to wrap my mind around a world like that. Like is the elemental plane of air just floating islands and shit? That's what i imagine.
>>
>>51317574
I'm pretty sure it's just while charging on a mount, isn't it?
>>
>>51317188

I started off going 1-to-1 Cleric/Rogue levels. This lasted until about level 6, with an even 3/3 split, at which point I started to prioritize Cleric levels. At first, I did it simply because I wanted more spell slots, but the sheer versatility of Cleric spellcasting kept me coming back. Walking through the Underdark the party finds a group of starving orcs? Boom, create food and water. They feast, we leave. Need some kind of information? Boom, Sending, instant cell phone.
>>
>>51316836
Okay.
>>
File: CNh70xQUsAAtsek.jpg (65KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CNh70xQUsAAtsek.jpg
65KB, 600x338px
What's your favorite time you used polymorph?
>>
>>51317481
1. Shape Water is only so powerful and needs water around in the first place, so there's a built in limit to the shenanigans you can do with that combo.

2. Grease doesn't mention any interaction with fire, unlike, for example, Web.

3. The hell is "acid cloud"?

I doubt there's anything really game breaking. Powerful maybe, but that's fair given the resource cost the sorcerer is putting in.
>>
I need a name for a fucked up goblin tribe that live in a castle in a swamp and they worship a toad god and have a fatass king.
>>
>>51317681
In Common or in Goblin?
>>
>>51317669
After playing both sorc and wizard I'd say that you need to have the sorcerer's spell list be shit because they're so much more fun than wizards. Flexible casting and metamagic are just lovely.
>>
>>51317681
Cult of Keeken.
>>
>>51317681

Gwablsqartz.
>>
>>51317692
Common.

Gobblish is just a Dadaist language.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egne2ZCMM_0

build me martials for this
>>
>>51317644

>Out of the Abyss
>Playing a Trickery Cleric, high level
>Have one NPC from the prison with us, also a fairly high level
>FIghting a Beholder in its lair
>Dimension Door with NPC to a bridge high above Beholder
>NPC jumps off bridge, flying towards Beholder
>Turn it into a T-Rex mid flight
>Ruin Beholder's day

That was so much fun. DM cut that shit off next session though.
>>
Now that I think about it, is there any downside to Unarmored Defenses as a Cleric instead of some kind of armor proficiency? I guess you can't have a shield, but otherwise it seems reasonable? Plus I think a mace might qualify as a monk weapon, although I don't know for sure.
>>
>>51317764
That's perfectly fine. In fact I'd suggest leaving shields on there, similar to how barbarians have.
>>
File: UA Eberron.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA Eberron.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51316967
Unearthed arcana eberron, literally fucking warforged
>>
>>51317355
Honestly, Sorcerer could probably use a few more spells learned via their Sorcerer Origins. Not a ton, like 3-4 at most.
>>
Hello /5eg/, you might remember me from such posts as "How do I make an Iaido Samurai" and "Fuck yes you guys are good cunts".

I now have a character build concept I want to run by you all, to see if you think it'd be fun.

Fighter 5 - Samurai / Warlock 5 - Bladelock

The concept is thus: a delinquent Half-Orc, complete with pompadour who works for the yakuza (thank you D&D for just straight being lazy about this one) is found by an old man who tells him he has a greater destiny than petty crime and beating up other rival gang members.

He instructs our delinquent in the ways of magic and tells him he is looking for a successor to take over his "Evil spirit vanquishing business".

After delving into the magic, Delinquent Horc subjugates an Oni and forces it to give him portions of its power, gaining the ability to summon a kanabou (basically a giant fucking baseball bat, look it up, it's great) and cast magic that confuses enemies and binds them.

From there he leaves his yakuza life behind, telling them he will be back once he's the boss of all spirits on the planet, and sets out to be an adventurer.

Int 7 - for a start. Rest of the stats are good. Basically a low-brow "insert Japanime delinquent here" who is an orc. And wanders around righting wrongs, fighting bad spirits and arguing with his Oni "patron".

My DM is in love with it already, which is great cause he's not a weeaboo at all (I am tho), and our party also needs a tank. Spells were going to be anything that enhances survivability - False Life, Armor of Agathys etc, with some ranged offence.

What do you reckon? Can I Bancho-rc my way around an adventure?
>>
>>51316806
A scholarly noble who discovered martial arts records and was too engrossed in studying them.
>>
>>51316806
The man who intends to slay a dragon with his fists - and will use any means necessary to get this goal, including but not limited to: poison, paying an army to help, political maneuvering, trickery, alcohol, cross dressing, magic and falsifying accounts of his deeds to gain fame except for anything about defeating a dragon with a punch.
>>
>>51318385
How does crossdressing help?
>>
>>51318410
>He's never employed the old Digger Timon strategy
>>
>>51318318
Make sure to go "eEEEEEEH!?" and lean in a lot whenever someone talks shit
>>
>>51318318
Respond to everything mildly surprising with "Nani?!"
>>
how does /tg/ feel about people using classes from dndwiki or used to play 3.5e
>>
>>51316762
>Post cool cleric character concepts, and general cleric spell discussion/build discussion
I often mix monks with clerics as there's natural synergy there with wis. And the cleric's channel divinity is always a fun thing to mess around with as a monk.

The extra magic helps. Plus, since it's a cleric you have a lot to choose from, even if it's a small dip.
>>
>>51318599
>dndwiki

no
>>
>>51317481
Sunbeam and anything.

Action to sunbeam again and bonus action another spell for some real pain
>>
>>51316836
Alright.

With proper punctuation and capitalization.
>>
File: trireme flotsam.jpg (130KB, 800x541px) Image search: [Google]
trireme flotsam.jpg
130KB, 800x541px
tried out the opening with the party floating at sea on flotsam from rowing slave-powered ships during war. it went really well, everyone involved seemed to really enjoy the session and I was surprised by the decisions the players made constantly. they didn't act like murderhobos, until suddenly all at once when failing a stealth check, and then all the sudden they are using the shackles they started the game with to take prisoners. thanks to the people who helped me figure out the quirks with the start, it was a go.
>>
>>51316806
A Wild Elf who doesn't really see the point in weapons or armor. Thinks of himself as more of a Druid that's always partially shifted, even if the transformation has no outward signs.
>>
Still trying to build a two-handed-longsword viable fighter. Is it too broken to consider a longsword a heavy weapon while held with two hands?
>>
>>51318934
there is feat for that
>>
>>51318934
Why not just roll a barbarian and reflavor a 2 hander?
>>
Are there any notable feats for an Artificer? I'm trying to decide if I should play a Human or a High Elf.
>>
>>51318410
When does crossdressing NOT help?
>>
Is the concept of a warlock who tricks a demon to tying its life to the warlock's life a dumb idea?
>>
>>51319428
Nah, that sounds legit. A good DM could turn that into a great plot point down the line too. Just be sure to talk with them before doing that sort of thing.
>>
>>51319428
If the demon is a familiar, then no.
>>
Is the College of Whispers any good for Bards? All the Abilities seem good and all but Venomous Blades doesn't seem that great considering they don't get Martial Weapons and Medium Armor. They feel like more of a caster bard.
>>
>>51317607
I know it's cliche, but it depends on the setting and kind of adventure I want to tell in my case. In more adventure/exploration style games they planes become extreme wildernesses, like a system of unending hostile caverns and shifting Earth for example. Otherwise they can be a sort of dimension of just that element, or more often have an elemental society which means dungeons to raid.

Anyone who plays multiple campaigns and sees more than one can have it hand waved as because the elemental planes are effectively infinite, different regions do look different.
>>
How do you teach new players that there are more to fighting than hitting the enemy with your weapon really hard? They never tried using the environment, talk down the enemy or use traps. I'm thinking of making the party meet a wandering Death Knight that they must reason with or beat through other means than "hit him hard" but I also don't want to TPK them or make them feel too worthless. The party consists of a lvl 2 fighter, level 2 monk and level 2 ranger.
>>
>>51319626
Make fun of them using low level kobolds that use traps and the environment to screw with them badly.
>>
>>51319626
I would have thought its obvious.

Use those things against them.

Have enemies that lead them into traps, but things like pit falls and things like poor terrain.

Have enemies shove them off ledges to demonstrate both the effectiveness of fall damage, as well as how useful it is to isolate stronger enemies.

Have them encounter town guards in patrol sizes they can't concievably beat in a straight up fight - leading them to wanting to talk their way out.

Or have them encounter charismatic rogues who talk the party into letting them live (if they can)
>>
>>51317607
The Plane of Air has cloud things. Cloud lands and cloud castles with cloud beasts. It all forms out of the cloudstuff.
>>
>>51318318
God I hope your group understands the references here. Or that you intended them, because this sounds amazing as hell.
>>
>>51319626
>party beats up a bunch of things
>other creatures looting all the sweet loot while they're fighting
>party finishes up, is a bit beat up, goes to where the loot is
>is blocked
>though the monsters are a bit afraid too, they want that loot and they know the party's going to have a hard - even deadly - run if they fight.
>party tries to negotiate, then retreats

If the party finds they keep wearing themselves down from fights, they might learn that they should avoid fights.

Monsters = XP enforces terrible 'let's beat everything up' habits, especially when you reward them with loot for killing literally anything.

Milestones is the generally accepted best way of handling a party that doesn't just want to exterminate more monsters. Of course, you can have other XP systems if there are other goals like money or conquest.

Also >>51319714
>>
>>51319626
>>51319686
aka Tucker's kobolds. Read on it, study it, master it and thus make your players beg for mercy.
>>
>>51319834
I actually use milestones, I reward smart thinking with magic items or prisoners (they sold a spared goblin to a researcher for some scrolls once) but I also reward fights with monster parts or the fact said monster won't bother them again if they're dead.

>>51319714
>>51319686
And I tried using traps but the monk and ranger has some great DEX saves. But I would have them face mind control/seduction checks since they're all dumb as rocks. Plus some magic traps since none of them can detect it.

>>51319865
Will do.
>>
>>51319875
If monsters run, those monsters will still bother them later. This also urges players against resting because monsters will rest too.

Some monsters have a sense of self-preservation, after all.
Players have to think of what to do to prevent a monster escaping.
>>
Does 5etools also work eithout an internet connection? For times when I don´t or shouldn´t have access to the internet?
>>
>>51319875
>high dex save

Consider
>group comes across a handful of weak goblins.
>they attack the gobbos
>gobbos flee
>party chases
>??? no sight of gobbos
>passage behind has rocks fall into it.
>suddenly gobbos and pet wolves
Not all traps are "pass this check or take damage"

Alternatively,

in a room fighting X enemy.

Stepping onto certain squares is Dex or fall into pit.
Those with high dex might avoid them but others wont. Now their lumbering friends are trapped in pits during an encounter.

Or just have more and more of the room fall away as they fight. X enemy obviously knows which squares are false and avoids them.

Will also introduce the idea of shoving enemies as the enemy will do that to move people from safe squares into dangerous ones.

Smart adventurers will do the same, or at least use it as a method to test where is safe.

By the end of the encounter there should only be a rag-tag crossing from one side of the chamber to the other.
>>
What classes can benefit from Magic Initiate: Shillelagh?
>>
>>51319950
Pact of the Tome: Shillelagh
and
Magical Secrets: Shillelagh
Are better because PAM Paladin.

Rogue can't use it, sneak attack.
Barbarian shouldn't use it, rage damage.
Monk could use it, but they still make punches as bonus and they'd rather have mobile or an ASI and they need high dexterity anyway for other reasons too. A monk that wears armour, however..
Druid, obviously.
Fighter could benefit if they want wisdom instead of strength for a PAM thing, but then they can't use GWM.
Artificer, Wizard, Sorcerer, Paladin, Bard and Warlock are nopes due to being int/cha focused.
Ranger could benefit, but not a lot. Might as well go ranged.

Charisma shillelagh however is fucking brilliant.
>>
>>51319950
Pretty much the only ones that work are monk and clerics, but clerics can already get it with nature domain and monks are generally better taking dex anyway. Basically only do it if you want to play gandhi.
>>
>>51319970
>>51319950
Somehow I forgot to point out Cleric. But that's obvious. Honestly, wisdom shillelagh probably works best on a cleric.
>>
I'm dming Storm King's Thunder and I can't figure out how this rune trap puzzle works. Anyone know?
>>
I don't suppose any of you guys have the Dark Souls Mechanics edits to 5e? I used to have several PDF's but I recently got a new computer and lost them
>>
Anyone have any tips / suggestions for a light domain cleric? Trying to take a kinda support role and also act as the party face
>>
>>51320057
Harshnag says "yo i got this" and opens the door for them
Or you can completely ignore it because it's a stupid trap and let the players fuck around with it until they figure out touching weapons to runes works (assuming they can somehow move the weapons)
>>
Is Volo's Guide to Monsters worth picking up? To anyone who's played the monster races, are they well-balanced or just lazily ripped from the Monster Manual? Am I right that there are no stats for playable gnolls or orogs yet?
>>
>>51321191
Monster Race aren't balance at all. For example, orc is a worst half-orc.
>>
>>51321191
The book is pretty great, would recommend.
>>
>>51321226
True, although they did throw a mea culpa into that section.

RACIAL TRAITS
The game traits of the monstrous races are given here.
Refer to chapter 1 for their cultural and roleplaying
notes. Some of these races are unusual in that they have
a reduction to an ability score, and some are more or
less powerful than the typical D&D races-additional
reasons for the monstrous races to be used in a cam-
paign with care.

They know these races are off. They're OK with it.

Personally, I wish they'd gone further and included some more unusual options. This book has Giants, but doesn't have a playable size-Large race. The Goliath's a pretty good "next best thing" option, though, and like the full Orc I'm not sure how they'd effectively differentiate two races based on the same concept of "Mr Big McLargehuge".

>>51321191
Bear in mind that not everything in the book is balanced and it's a barrel of fun. I recommend it if you want to make a campaign without using the cliche Tolkein races. Enough options here that you can strip out Elves, Orcs and Dwarves entirely, which fantasy doesn't do often enough.
>>
>>51321310
I can make poorly-balanced monster races without a book. If they're not adapted for gameplay, then what's the point in having official monster PC stats at all? That's disappointing.

If the rest of the book is decent then I might grab a copy anyway.

Playable ogres would be nice. I'd like to see a Large race be playable since they've apparently decided to throw game balance out of the window. They'd probably need an entirely new weapon table, though.
>>
>>51317557
Mechanically, you can wield anything you normally can. Realistically/historically there is some precedent, mostly of long anti calvary cutting blades.

I recall reading once about some ridiculously long asian blade that had to be drawn by riding away on your horse while another guy holds the sheathe. I don't think it was terribly effective, but it seemed to have been actually used.
>>
So apparently an "epic level starter set" of miniatures has been announced. What's epic level in 5e? Is it just a cool name or can we expect some new post lvl 20 content?
>>
How do you like your Gish? Do you go EK/Bladelock or do you prefer to get them through multiclassing?
>>
File: IMG_4293.png (328KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4293.png
328KB, 451x451px
>>51321191
It's great if you want to DM a game in Forgotten Realms with all your lore down pat.

In my game I had to learn about Beholders and they provide a ton of information on it. The only way you can get more information on them is going to earlier edition lore books, and there is a distinct change in tone that is less enjoyable to hear.

>Reading Lords of Madness
>When a brood comes to term, a beholder’s jaw unhinges, and it regurgitates its womb out through the mouth. The creature bites the womb off, and it floats gently in the air.
>mfw
>>
How's the college of swords bard?
>>
Am I missing something, or is the versatile property worthless, save for a staff wielding monk? You're always better off with a shield, so unless something deprived you of your shield but not your weapon it'd never come up. If you need a free hand to cast or do whatever you can just let hold a heavy weapon in one hand for a round.

Seriously, what's the point?
>>
>>51321483
It's a bard. Not as good as a lore bard but, you know, a bard.
>>
>>51321485
It's cause through roleplay there are times when you don't have your shield on you, and everyone would be moaning and groaning about a d8 not doing more damage when wielded with two hands.

It's there so they don't have to put it in later, it's not statistically better but it's always an option.
>>
>>51321496
I'm not too familiar with 5e, what does that mean?
>>
>>51321537
I think he means that bards are top tier, but I'm not sure.
Haven't gotten a chance to play 5E, but SOON
>>
>>51316888
Well DnD world is usually set up with some form of big city, which has a government, which trades in currency. As such yes, there literally are some things you can only buy with money, and can't just steal or murder your way to obtaining.
>>
>>51317588
>>51317321
NOOOOO
I
AM
UNDONE
>>
Is it reasonable to allow a player to attack with a net using Mage Hand?
I know Mage Hand says "no attacks" but a net only vaguely qualifies as an attack. Also, whoever designed nets to have a range of 5/15 and so always be at disadvantage must have been fucking high (they really should be 10/15).

Otherwise, a net only requires one hand and weighs less than 10 pounds so a MH could presumably carry it up to 30 feet away and drop it on something. Which also begs the question - if a Mage Hand could do it, could a familiar?
>>
>>51321694
idk how he would expect to attack with a net, since nets only capture prey by being greatly larger, weighted down, or sealed.

In any sense, the creature that could be captured with a net that a mage hand could carry would need to be Small or Tiny, and the Mage Hand wouldnt be able to put any force into the motion, so the Dex saving throw DC would be low.
>>
>>51321694
mage hand can't do it
>>
>>51317644
In the one campaign which managed to make it to level 17, I just used True Polymorph to turn various things into dragons.

>The BBEG's wizard is holed up in a fortress of doom.
>The fortress is reinforced, its defenders are well armed and well stocked, such that a siege might go either way, and we need to be careful of the way forward.
>True Polymorph the gates of the fortress into a silver dragon and start strafing the defenders while we just waltz in.
>>
>>51318934
Don't see how, you still take a penalty when using great weapon master the only difference vs actual heavy weapons is that you do less damage or don't have reach.
>>
>>51318934
Just get sentinel and you will be matching damage of other enemies. You aren't really at a disadvantage, it's 1 point of damage average wise, and glaive/halberd/pike users do the same thing.
>>
>>51318318
I read this in the voice of Troy McClure, and now I can only imagine this character with the same voice
>>
>>51321631

OkI everyone point and laugh
>>
>>51321631
I had a party steal and murder there way into owning and running a legitimate silk trade business and getting one of them a noble title. Theft and murder can get you anything if rob/kill the right person/people.
>>
>>51318095
I don't think that's the right level of op he's looking for.
>>
Could somebody link me to/compile for me a full list of official accessories? DM screens, merch dice, maps, sheets, minis etc. My autism is itching at the thought of missing some.
>>
Is dualwielding a hand crossbow and a rapier anywhere near being effective (on a thief)?
>>
>>51322159
its really good if you get crossbow expert
>>
>>51322159
Not if you hope to use both in a single turn, at least not early on.

Best to roll a stealthy fighter, where you get extra attack at level 5. Where Rogues get Sneak attack dice and disengage instead.
>>
>>51321694
No
There is a reason that mage hand and familiars do NOT have attack actions. The action economy is almost always in the player's favor as it is, and using using a magical copy of your hand to swing a sword is dumb instead of attacking is dumb

Think of throwing a net for fishing, you grab the corners, spread it out, and then throw it.

Think of dropping a net. it doesn't spread out, and it literally falls in a pile on the ground. Your pet owl doesn't have the ability to stretch a net out fully and THROW it at an enemy
>>
Half-Dragon and Dragonborn. Which is which?

A dragon polymorphs into humanoid and mates with another humanoid. The offspring is which?

A creature of dragon blood but magically infused and somehow created. They can mate etc. Still a rare race, but common-er than it was intended at creation.
>>
>>51322189
Because they're both so small and weak there is little point. They would also then get access to the Help action for attacks so that the 10lb hand floating around someone's face gives advantage in a fight.
>>
Creating a high elf rogue swashbuckler. What cantrip should I pick? Am I obligated to just take message?
>>
>>51322189
>Think of throwing a net for fishing, you grab the corners, spread it out, and then throw it.
Wouldn't that make a net a two handed weapon?

>>51322234
>They would also then get access to the Help action for attacks so that the 10lb hand floating around someone's face gives advantage in a fight.
Pretty sure that's an Arcane Trickster feature actually
>>
>>51322077
Alright. Tell me how you'd get the hand of the princess without jack shit to your name.
>>
>>51321537

Bards are great. Lore is best Bard but your still a Bard so you win at D&D

>>51321367

Its less that anything but the Yuan Ti is OP than there are a lot of similarities between established races and added ones. Tabaxi get a bons to Dex and a movement boost very similar to Wood Elves. Lizardmen get the same stat boost as Hill Dwarves and a HP restoring bite 1/day that will give them similar effective HP to said Dwarf. Goliaths can be used about the same as halforcs etc
>>
How do I run more open, outdoor or urban, primarily non-combat encounters?
>>
>>51322277

Mind control the King
Conquer the land and take her
Seduce her then do any of the above
Seriously if you can't plan this out how do you expect to run villains as DM?
>>
>>51322313
First one: How will you expect to get an audience with the king as a filthy peasant.
Second: How do you raise an army as a filthy peasant with no money
Third: How do you seduce her if you're a filthy peasant, and even if you somehow succeed at that, need money to impress her father.
>>
Where do you guys get the background/frames for the classes and races homebrews I see occasionaly on here from?

Kinda interested on working on a few myself.
>>
File: Samurai.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Samurai.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I made the following changes to the samurai UA for a player of mine that wanted to go samurai.

I nerfed Fighting Spirit a tad. You have you choose between offense or defense now.

I also rework Rapid Strike. I think for the better.

What you guys think?
>>
>>51317527
>Not playing a Lancer From Tera

The opportunities are endless.
>>
>>51322375
Get some nice outfits and go around meeting nobles regarding mercenary work, mind control them, make a document signing over all of their wealth to you.

Rinse repeat.

Welcome to being the richest noble on the planet.
>>
>>51322448
But the original point is there are some things you need money in order to do in DnD. Thank you for proving my point.
>>
>>51322466
No, not really.
If you've got access to mind control, you can get anything you need. Literally anything.

You don't have to have a copper to your name aslong as you've got those powers.
>>
>>51322466
>Can't steal nice clothes
>Can't kill a traveling merchant with an arrow through the head and then wash off the blood from his robes
>>
>>51322291
Your main issues are

>managing how often the party rests
>making sure people actually have an idea of where they're going rather than it being a choice of 'you can go west or east, but both directions we have no fucking clue which way we're going so it doesn't matter which way we go'
>players who want combat being starved for combat/people who don't want to converse with everything

Make sure your players know and are up for it, consider making the rests take the right amount of time so that people get at least roughly the right amount of resources (wizards aren't almighty because they can spam their highest level spells at every encounter because there's only one every day).. And otherwise, I'm not sure. Just make sure most characters have something interesting going on with them and it all ties into something. Give many clues to something, not just one. Three clue rule is pretty good.

Honestly I find people don't really change much even if their games have more of a social focus.
>>
>>51322448
>mind controlling nobles to hand over all their wealth

This'd only work out well in a game where magic fuckery is rare and people aren't prepared for it, and/or the base populance are all rather weak.

But then again I'm jumping in on the wrong part of the conversation if you think you can just mind control a king.
>>
>>51322541
I never said anything about a king, mind controlling nobles who think they're untouchable simply because of their wealth and stature wouldn't be too hard of a task.
>>
>>51322582
>thinking that high ranking noble who have been playing the deceit game far longer and more effectively then you have won't have safeguard in place for such common place magic
>>
>>51322582
Even if you could make them not think they're mind controlled, everybody else will clearly be incredibly suspicious that a magic caster they've never known is suddenly on good terms with their liege and has received anything at all.
Nobles are less likely to have wizards with them, but at the very least it shouldn't be hard for anyone to know something's fucked up, especially when they ask the noble first hand to verify things.

But it seems the entire idea of using these nobles is to get at the king in the first place. And even if you do get into court, any attempt at mindfuckery with the king will have you promptly BTFO'd by a court wizard or something unless you're prepared for a stealth-style castle takeout mission where you essentially capture the king by force, which is starting to push the boundaries of 'okay, we didn't really need mind control to get the king on our side' and the fact even if you do mind control them everybody will know something's up.

The only real way to safely mind control someone of great importance would likely to become one of their trusted wizards and slowly manipulate them from that standpoint. That's what many baddies do, in fact.

Same applies to nobles - you kind of have to get trusted by them in the first place to pull things off in a clean manner, and at that point you didn't even need mind control to get them to do what you want.
>>
>>51322499
Back to my original point then, how do you Mind control your way to having the king's daughter in marriage while still being a filthy peasant.
>>
>>51322625
Most nobles are born into nobility, few have clawed their way to fame.

>>51322660
I'm not that anon, I'm merely advocating that you can get to nobles quite handily and get a foot into the door of a kingdom.
>>
>>51321537
Bards have every spell +1 available in the game.
Lore bards get two more choices out of every spell in the game.

Unfortunately college of swords uses bonus action too much, considering Bard is a *very* Bonus Action heavy class as it is, so it isn't that great.
>>
>>51322660
First you mind control your way out of being a filthy peasant as has been described above

Alternatively, take the Puss in Boots route and fake it till you make it

Having money definitely helps and makes things easier, but there are plenty of other resources that can achieve the same end result
>>
>>51322791
It just so happens that nobility is schooled better than the not-nobility, however.

So even if you say 'they didn't earn it!' they're still generally better.

Not to mention, being a noble isn't quite that simple. You get born into it and maybe you can live without working the fields, but it's hardly a 'okay, you can just be a NEET and nothing bad will ever happen to you' thing. Chances are the father or father's father or somebody who would have had an influence on the children either clawed the nobility title out or had to do something to keep their nobility.

Of course, peasantry scum will always claim 'They just get born into their role, they don't even need qualifications!'
>>
>>51316762
I'm playing the only evil aligned character in my group. My GM loves it because it causes a little friction. I'm doing LE and most of the shit I'm doing is extremely underhanded. I'm also bankrolling the entire party with ill gotten gains (they don't ask questions) and am planning on using the party to eventually do a coup against one of the benevolent leaders (after I trick them into it of course).

Thoughts?
I'm not doing any "that guy" stuff like murdering NPCs because "lel randumb! XD" and most of the evil stuff I do actually seems altruistic from what they actually see.

So far I'm in the slave trade as well as utilizing slaves for forced labor giving me a sizeable income. I would appreciate some help with pretty much any of this but mostly just shady ways to make more money would be great.
>>
>>51316762
Friend recently let me make a character for a game he's DM-ing, so I made a cleric that serves the goddess Waukeen. He's most likely going to be a seeker of old knowledge, all while doing day-trading to get by.

Dunno what else I want to do with this goofy economics cleric.
>>
>>51322828
>First you mind control your way onto the witch's stake
FTFY
>>
>>51322448
>make a document signing over all of their wealth to you.
>Noble's family voids the document because he is clearly insane
>Decide to have you killed
>>
>>51322860
What is his motivation? What is the point, if it exists, where he decides "i'm done, i've accomplished what i wanted to, i'm retiring".
>>
>>51322840
I was also the only evil(NE) guy in my group once. It got to the point where the GM had asked me multiple times if I'm entirely sure my character was evil. Granted, it was because my character was biding his time for the perfect moment, but in comparison with the rest of the party I was actually the one who advocated we keep some enemies alive instead of out right murdering them where they knelt.
>>
>>51322828
Nah, you don't get to mind control your way out of being a filthy peasant, the most you can do is clean yourself, the moment you need money to do this then you've proved my point.
>>
>>51322839
Clearly you're missing the point.
The point isn't "muh aristocracy and nobility", the point is that when you're born into wealth and stature, you become lax since simply through your renown and money you can get out of most situations.

Hence them being an easier target than most.
>>
>>51322868
>nobles family
Ah yes, because ye olde nobility had any say in the matter when the male head of the family decided to do something.
>>
>>51322868
>Okay, Noble, we've just got word that you've signed this away to this guy. Never heard of him before. Looks like a filthy peasant. Who is he, why're you doing this?
>"I don't know. He just showed up one day, waved his wand and I just suddenly felt like giving it to him. Nice guy."
>Okay, kill the fucking wizard.
You can probably get away with asking him to hand over some money in his chest or something he's holding onto or something like that if he's alone, but much more than that and people're going to get suspicious. Either way, you'll be seen as a thief at best.

>>51322911
Nobles are more aware of magic and such tactics than peasantry are. They have the education, they can pay to get taught magic. They can be tutored on how to avoid influence and all that sort of thing. Just because they don't work hard on the fields every day doesn't mean they can't put up a mental fight.

A peasant would be 'Okay, why would a wizard even attack me? I'm just a peasant. Wait, what even the fuck is a wizard? They turn people into frogs, right? That sounds awful.'
>>
>>51322924
>Ye olde nobility's brother/rivals sees he's clearly gone insane and uses noble connections to swindle you out of the dough and improve their own standing. you can't complain because you still have no money.
>>
>>51322885
The guy's setting has an armageddon event that resulted in a scarred planet surface and continents flying up in the sky. No one knows why, so I figure finding out why would be his motivation.
>>
>>51322947

I think you misunderstood

Money is incidental to higher level PCs. Its something they stop caring about by double digit levels. A sufficiently high level PC can write his own rules and theres few things in the mundane world that could stop him
>>
>>51322898
It's a really funny contrast. All of the other players just murderhobo and snatch loot while I advocate for leniency and fair distribution of loot. They'll see though. But only when it's too late.
>>
friend of mine and I are bored, and we were thinking of playing out this scene. I get the balrog could be a balor, but now we've been wondering, what's Gandalf's class/stats/race?

How would you stat this fight?
>>
File: 1451528705240.jpg (76KB, 1181x897px) Image search: [Google]
1451528705240.jpg
76KB, 1181x897px
>>51322924
>Head out household comes out saying some bullshit
>Lol nobles are fucking useless they'd just sit on their asses and let their father sell a kingdom for a donkey, I mean, he's the head of the household, right? Or, in a less extreme case, they'll be suspicious anyhow that he suddenly became friends with a peasant wizard/definitelynotdisguisedguy nobody knows.

While, yes, the head of the household does have power, nobody's stopping everybody else from calling bullshit and fixing things.
>>
>>51322375
It's like you've never heard of the 'Loveable Rogue' trope. You charm your way through shit. It isn't even hard.
>>
>>51322993
Taking money for granted is a sure way to attract the impish wonderings of the cosmic joker known as the DM. You start flaunting shit by casually throwing out millions for a castle and a kingdom and an airship I can guarantee any DM that doesn't literally suck your metaphorical cock will be brewing up some shit to drive you into the dirt.
>>
>>51323058
See, this makes a lot more sense than just mind control. In a world with wizards you're less likely to get fucked over.

You still have to dedicate some time to it though, you can't just walk in and charm a noble in a day, they'll be naturally rather defensive about strangers getting friendly with them.
>>
>>51323058
I prefer this to the "Lol I mind control the problem and win" at least then you've gotta make up some lies and put on a winning smile.
>>
>>51323071
This
>Look at this, we have like 1,000,000,000 gold
>Try to buy a kingdom
>King stares you in the eyes
>'Nope'
>You get thrown out
>Every other kingdom is alerted that some crazy baffoon is wandering around with so much money that it'll break the entire economy, D&D becomes 'assassin survival - the tabletop.

Like, what would a king do with all that money? Make a palace out of gold? He could safely retire, but a kingdom and/or relations isn't something you just get with money. You could buy your way into being a noble, but everybody would be suspicious as heck of you.
>>
File: 1431227449122.jpg (155KB, 464x530px) Image search: [Google]
1431227449122.jpg
155KB, 464x530px
>>51317039
>the Fighter won't stop grappling the Sorcerer
>>
>>51316854
>be me
>have aphantasia
>have never put this much thought into a character's entire appearance, let alone just one specific aspect of it

Is this really rewarding to you? I can't even fathom.
>>
>>51323162
Not that guy but man it really must suck to have aphantasia. I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have hyperphantasia. To give you an idea, after getting into tabletop games a few years ago. Games, movies, and shows have become so boring and empty it is a wonder why I didn't start playing sooner.
>>
>>51323104

>>I have more money than anyone on the continent
>>I have conquered Dragons Giants the hordes of the Abyss the plots of dark elves and their goddess and saved the world on two occasions
>>How about one of those noble titles you have given away for far less than the mountain of gold and potential military power my presence gives you?

>>duur hurr no fility peasant
>>
>>51323220
If that's how the world sees you, sure. You probably should already have a noble title by this point, so why are you even trying to get one?

In fact, there's probably a REASON why you don't have a noble title when you've done all that shit, and they shouldn't be saying
>hurr filthy peasant
But either
>liar
or
>you're the fucking devil
And immediately call in all of the clergy to get you the fuck out of this castle and never return so your magick doesn't cause ruination to the area.

If you're a true and just hero of that caliber, everybody should already respect you and you should already be able to get the princess's hand.
>>
So, I tried to make a deal with a magic mirror against its powerful owner and the DM essentially auto killed me without the party being able to do anything.

She could tell we weren't exactly impressed so she let me bargain for my soul and forced a multiclass into warlock, so now I'm Rogue 2, Warlock 1.

My charisma is 14 - should I steer into the skid and try and make warlock (elder one) work or just be rogue (Dex 17) with a level in Warlock?
>>
>>51323247

Yeah

You mean fucking exactly what everyone has been saying?

This isn't even touching the murderhobo PC who could just melt people until they agree a new dynasty just started
>>
>>51317044
>Only players who aren't creative won't find a use for gold. Shit, the first thing I'd want to buy is a flying mount of some kind cause that shit's dank. There are plenty of other cool item and just random shit a PC might want that could be bought with gold. Hell even things like potions abd scrolls are easy money sinks.

If you were DMing, and a player said he wanted a flying mount, and you were okay with this, what would you say?

>sure, just let me know when you've accumulated 10,000 gold, until then go back to hunting down the source of the giant rat plague
or
>sure, let me think of a quest that can spring off of, try asking around town next session

Gold comes easily and accidentally, and there's no mechanical structure in place for it to be used as an actual currency between the players and DM, beyond the lowest level of expenses that either only come up during levels 1-5 (gear) or that most DMs handwave (living expenses).

If you try to homebrew a system for players to use gold throughout their adventuring careers, you either have to overhaul multiple systems (equipment, magic items, etc), force the players into an implausible perma-poverty (you can manifest gateways to other dimensions but basic food and shelter are budget breaking), or use gold as a meaningless tax on RP activities.

If you've built a campaign around airships, maybe an airship - gold system can make sense in your game, and you can homebrew that. But it's probably both easier and better to just RP those things and ignore gold entirely like everyone else. It's only in 5e to satisfy nostalgia and expectations but it plays no part in the actual function of the system.
>>
>>51323275
Getting into a war with the entire world is a surefire way to kill yourself. Almost as effective as just fucking yourself off a cliff.
>>
>>51323208
>but man it really must suck to have aphantasia

I can't say it really does.

One, because I don't know what it is I'm missing, and two, it's not like being blind or anything - it doesn't impact me or restrict my ability to do or enjoy things. It's not as if I can't be creative or whatever.

Sure, it affects my preferences - books do nothing for me, but I love movies - but can that really be considered a negative? Liking different things?

I'd think the opposite. It must suck to not have aphantasia. You can't talk about gross things without actually seeing them? You can't leave behind unpleasant memories because you retain the sensory experiences? You can't enjoy the movie adaptation of a book because a character doesn't look or sound like you imagined?

So, I dunno. It's different, can't say better worse without knowing both.
>>
>>51322400
Personally I think it destroys all reason to play the archetype, other than flavor.

Nothing about Fighting Spirit is overpowerred enough to warrant nerfing it and rapid strike is at a high enough level that most players never have to worry about it.

Fighting Spirit is supposed to be the feature that distinguishes the archetype from the others. Nerfing it makes the archetype strictly worse than the others. It's a powerful but limited and well balanced mechanic as is.
>>
If a level 20 adventurer comes to your kingdom, you should fear them as a king.

Adventurers are often power hungry (they risk their lives constantly in exchange for power and simply to exercise their ability to change the world),they're unpredictable, often independent (really bad if you want vassals) and if you're not careful they'll go make their own kingdom that'll compete with yours.
As a king, you either want them on your side, or you want them dead. If you want them on your side, you want them to go do an impossible task for you that is of great benefit either way - either you don't have to worry about the level 20 guy coming back to go justice on your ass because you like slavery, or they save you from a dangerous threat and then you send them on their way to the other side of the world to go bother somebody else.

Playing with high level adventurers as a king is like playing with fire.

>>51323275
Until the paladins come to town to whoop your ass.

I honestly don't know why everyone's talking about a high level adventurer who's seen as a peasant, though. Or was it a peasant who isn't a high level adventurer that has a powerful mind control item?
>>
>>51323365
You do realize level 20 adventurer in this edition can be defeated by a group of 50 peasants using crossbows?

No kingdom fear them.
>>
>>51318410
"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you"
>>
File: 1476579965339.jpg (62KB, 324x484px) Image search: [Google]
1476579965339.jpg
62KB, 324x484px
>>51323399
>You do realize level 20 adventurer in this edition can be defeated by a group of 50 peasants using crossbows?

That's wrong but okay.
>>
>>51323417
Sorry that nobody, even strangers in the Internet, give a damn about your headcanon.
>>
>>51323399
Yes, they can be, but if the adventurer isn't an idiot (like most players play them as) then they're much better than that.

They can hire people below them. You'll never sneak 50 peasants up on them like that, and then the level 20 adventurer can cast a level 3 fireball at the peasants and the rest will flee.

That's why you kill them while you still have the chance and they're in your court, before they run off and found their own kingdom.

If anyone questions it? 'They're a wizard practicing dark, dark magic. Fuck off.'
>>
Goblin Fury of the Small + Magic Missile.

Is brilliant, yes?
>>
>>51323417
>my lvl 20 fighter could take on a kobold cave by himself
Déjà-vu
>>
>>51323350
It's really weird how different people can think huh?

When you look at something, and then try to remember it, can you remember it as if you saw it, or do you just know the moment in words? "I saw a movie about an action hero" instead of actually recalling things?
>>
>>51319626
Well you could try using a different system that's more lethal and sets the expectation that they need to think things through instead of setting the expectation that they're there to go through packets of level appropriate encounters.
>>
>>51316872

i actually like a lot of what's going on here.
>>
>>51323454
Am I a newfag or are you referencing Smart Kobold?
>>
>>51323417
>wizard strolling down the road
>sunglasses.jpg
>suddenly 50 crossbow bolts out of nowhere
>damn, can't even cast shield
>fucking dead
>looks like somebody cast 'pass without trace' on a bunch of peasants and hid them really well down the wizard's morning walk routine.

Of course, the problem is if your DM allows bullshit the wizard is effectively immortal by way of infinite clones in infinite demiplanes given wish lets them do everything for free.
>>
>>51318934
Verstile grip Longsword works wonders if you plan on using Grappling often, Swing for 1d10+X often, decide to grapple a bitch, Shank for 1d8+X.
>>
>>51323268
Anyone? Any ideas? I'm not great on magic rules, hence rogue, but I'm down for swapping to it for RP reasons if it's viable.
>>
Guys, I'm behind on these new memes.

Can anyone expand the context of "Kobold Dragon Hunting Party" and the Diamond whatever thing.
>>
File: 1481490946475.jpg (18KB, 583x328px) Image search: [Google]
1481490946475.jpg
18KB, 583x328px
>>51323482
>level 20 Wizard ever leaving his tower without casting divinations out the ass

You don't get to be that powerful of a wizard without having powerful enemies.
>>
>>51323482
Now I think about it though, if the wizard uses 'foresight' they won't be able to be surprised. You'd either have to hope they don't use it or wait until the end of the day when it wears off.

Just make sure to ambush them late at night.
>>
>>51323473
I actually updated it a little bit, not sure about balance though since I wasn't given critique.
>>
>>51323479
This thing http://www.zincland.com/7drl/kobold/ if anyone's wondering
>>
>>51323399
I mean.. that's assuming it isn't a lvl 20 wizard, or that he has a lvl 20 wizard friend.

>true polymorph into a high CR monster that's immune to mundane damage
Even a king will be hard pressed to supply 50+ MAGICAL crossbows.
>>
>>51323530
Honestly the main issue is level 20 wizards. The main way to beat them is with.. More wizards. Just have a few level 5 wizards who counterspell every little fucking thing the wizard tries to do and you're golden.

Anyone who isn't a full caster you can fuck over any which sideways.
>>
>>51323516

Double Up is a cool capstone idea. I like help as a bonus action when you cantrip better than the level 6 feature you have now.

I think eventually help as a bonus action when you cast a spell would be a good final shove too. Maybe make it a spell of a certain level or lower.
>>
>>51323563
Hmm, adding a scale on the 6th level isn't too bad at something like 10th or 14th level. My main concern is the 6th level feature strong enough on its own?
>>
>>51323399
That assumes that you run into them on perfect terrain and that all 50 people have LOS to said adventurer.
>>
>>51323559
Murdering martials and whatnot also depends on what magical items they might have at lvl 20 and/or scrolls/potions.

Though yes, it is a lot easier than murdering a wizard.
And the counterspell idea isn't too bad, unless the lvl 20 wizard just has a Contingency set up to Gaseous Form him when hit by something.

Which means you'd be back on square 1 with a wizard who now knows that you employ counterspell methods and will probably just Cloud Kill the arcane district or whatever.
>>
>>51323622

I think Help as a bonus action fits, is probably pretty strong, and is kind of a neat niche. I'd roll w/ it.
>>
>>51322159
Battle master fighter with Cross bow expert Become a Bloodborne Hunter.
>>
File: hello there.jpg (42KB, 550x693px) Image search: [Google]
hello there.jpg
42KB, 550x693px
>>51323559
>Be Wizard
>All powerful, make the laws of the natural universe my bitch every day
>Come across a small kingdom
>It has a small wizard's college with roughly 25 low-high wizards
>Sweet, I always wanted my own minions to be in awe of me
>Tell the king his kingdom is mine now
>"No"
>Whatdidyoujustsaytome.nigga
>Immediately Cast Power Word:Kill on this uppity sonofabitch
>Counterspell
>Wut
>9 wizards step from the shadows pissed that I tried to kill their king
>So it's a wizard battle you crave?
>I cast true polymorph, turning into a Golem so I can wreck their magical asses
>Counterspelled
>Fine then I'll just Prismatic Spray all of them to end it right now
>Counterspelled
>Thirty minutes of tense thinking, casting and being counterspelled later
>I'm out of spell slots
>50 guards file in and kick the shit out of me
Thus ends the tale of wizard larry, the douchiest wizard in the land.
>>
>>51323688
Contingency; Gaseous Form and set the trigger to being Counterspelled.
laughingwizard.jpg
>>
>>51323643
Couldn't you still counterspell the Gaseous Form or does Contingency get around that somehow?

Cloud Killing the arcane district is just asking for problems, because if you get ALL of the wizards after you...
This was just a few of the level 5 ones. Maybe they're powerful, but it's unlikely to be all of the wizards and anyonew ho would ally with them against a potentially common enemy.

I imagine they might be able to do something about gaseous form, though. I'm not even sure if it prevents them from being hurt by magic.

Really the best way to fight as a level 20 wizard is to never be on the frontlines. Always stay disguised, strike unpredictably and concisely then get the fucking hell out of there because diviniation wizards.

>>51323688
At first we thought high level wizards were world-breaking.
But then counterspell came along to save our asses.

God bless counterspell.
>>
>>51323688
>Implying even court-wizards can actually muster the magical power to counterspell a 9th level spell succesfully.
>Implying that you didn't bring a dozen or so of your cohorts in strong-arming the king, having two counterspells for each of their one.
>Implying that you didn't scry the kings court extensively before stepping foot in that palace.
>Implying that is your real foot and not an kage-ice-clone-no-jutsu.
>>
>>51323722
>One Wizard casts Dispel Magic
>Continue to get the shit kicked out of you
>>
>>51323737
>Implying a level 20 wizard has any friends
>>
Bladelock advice? How necessary is a 1 level Fighter dip?
>>
>>51323688
You can only Counterspell if you see the spell being cast. Power Word kill has no somatic component, so can't be Counterspelled.
>>
>>51323656
Alright, how about this? Better? Also anyone else who wants to throw some opinions on this, it would be appreciated.
>>
>>51323688
This reminds me of a section from one of the Locke Lamora books, where they talk about how the mage's guild came to include every mage in the world and be such a major power. I'm paraphrasing, but the irreverent tone was in the original.

Basically, one big dick mage jumps another and says "you're in my club, or I kill you". Maybe the smaller one agrees, maybe he doesn't and gets killed so the major dickhead has to try again. But ultimately, he recruits a follower and keeps going. Now two mages jump a mage, or five jump two, and so on until they're all in the same club dicking over everyone else.
>>
>>51323755
I didn't say friends, I said cohorts.
He is the leader of a small wizard cadre, I'm sure he could wrangle at least half of them on a "Sup nerds, we're usurping the king, thaumocracy ho!"
>>
File: 1462635200588.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462635200588.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>51323755
>implying he doesn't have Genie/Demon/Devil slaves
>>
I'm making sure to include somewhere in the world a college dedicated to training bards in countermagic.

>the counterspell squad, keeping megalomaniac level 20 wizards from conquering the world since nineteen oh three.

>>51323737
If they're not an abjuration schooled wizard or a bard or anything with counterspell bonuses the DC is 19. With a few wizards, one of the wizards will likely make that DC. With bards, they're practically gauranteed to make it with all their skill check bonuses.

Wizards are unlikely to cohort with you if you have such intentions. They'll turn on you the moment you attack the kill and take you out when you think you've won.
Of course, you might be able to go full BBEG and get a whole load of cultists and train them yourself and basically become some sort of lich fucker.
>>
>>51323729
Contingency spells happens instantly when the trigger is met.
Cloud Killing the arcane district takes care of the low levels, select few high level wizards left. True Polymorph into a high CR golem and proceed to pummel them into paste.

Also, they can dispel magic on gaseous form, but that's fine, switch out gaseous form to Dimension Door and you're gold yet again.

>>51323745
See above.
I mean shit, wizards are the batman of DnD, they pretty much have an answer to everything.

>>51323737
>cohorts
At level 20, you can just have two golems tag along that'd destroy any casters in there anyhow.
>>
>>51323767
It's got a verbal component though, which you can hear, and know that the spell is being cast.
>>
>>51323767
I don't see where it says you have to see it being cast.
>>
>>51323801
>>51323805

>Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you SEE a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
>>
>>51323820
are you trying to argue that you can't see someone talk?
>>
>>51323805
it's: Casting Time: 1 reaction, which is taken when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
So basically if you were a rules lawyer you could argue that only hearing it isn't enough, but really it's RAW vs RAI.
>>
>>51323767
>>51323820
Impressive rules mastery, but you can still see them casting a spell even if they aren't waving their hands. As you point out, a somatic component is not an inherent part of spellcasting, which can be observed with or without hand motions.
>>
>>51323830

You mean this hypothetical wizard went to conquer a kingdom WITHOUT an imposing face mask?
>>
>>51323792
Cloudkill will take out maybe a couple of wizards and put them unconscious for a bit while another wizard disspells it and calls the entire wizard academy to find and whoop your ass. They'll likely have divination magic to find you somehow.

Even if contingency spells happen instantly, you can still counterspell something that's instant such as power word: kill (It's literally just a word.)
If contingency merely suppressed an effect, it would work because the spell isn't being cast but stops being suppressed. However, ti sounds like the contingency then casts it on you, and there's a window of opportunity against the contingency object to counterspell its spell.
>>
So I'm a couple days late to the party but... Artificer is a steaming pile right? It neither fulfills the class fantasy laid out in it's fluff or serves any useful or unique roles.

Alchemist sacrifices half it's class features to allow you to craft a few hundred hold worth of circumstantial items.

Engineer/ Gunslinger lets you make a single lackluster firearm that you will be shackled to for the rest of the game.

I mean i guess riding in a janky mecha suit is cool if not a little out of place.

Why the fuck can't we just get an artificer class that actually makes things people care about? That supports the party by improving and making equipment from the rare materials the party collects.
>>
>>51323881
being a pompous ass usually overrides caution.
>>
>>51323840
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/12/sorcerer-subtle-spell-vs-counterspell/
>>
>not using Friends prestigation for quick deals in towns you won't come back too
>>
>>51323460
>When you look at something, and then try to remember it, can you remember it as if you saw it, or do you just know the moment in words? "I saw a movie about an action hero" instead of actually recalling things?

Uh, neither.

So first, it's not like I think in words, or anything.

Say I'm thinking about a lantern I saw. I remember seeing it, I remember the situation in which I saw it, I remember what it looked like. I just can't *see* it. The visual information went into my brain, it just doesn't get formatted back into visual information in storage.

If it's a movie, I can remember the visuals, I can remember the emotions and sensations I experienced, I just can't *experience*. I remember how Fury Road made me feel, I remember how excited I was during certain scenes, etc, but it's all stored as information, not as sensations.

I can't explain how I'm able to recall the appearance of something without being able to see it, I just can. I can think about a beach, with that black Hawaiian sand, and it's raining hard, and a couple in bathing suits are laughing and huddling under an umbrella. But I'm just thinking about that scene, I'm not seeing it.

I can occasionally visualize things under certain conditions, but it's exceptional. And I can actually recall sound, especially music, and be able to "hear" (audiolize?) it. I can play the soundtrack to Fury Road in my head just fine. If I really concentrate, for a brief flash I can force myself to see Immortan Joe's face, but it's like a dream - it's vague and freely flowing and my brain is leaving bits out and ignoring that it's doing so. So, I know there's a difference, I've just never lived a life where I could visualize freely, continuously, without concerted effort and concentration.

Incidentally, I never understood why people liked novels until I learned about aphantasia - to me, there's no difference between reading a novel and reading Wikipedia.
>>
How would you rate the Warlock Patrons?
>>
>>51323893
People generally like it. If you stop comparing it to a wizard and compare it to a rogue, it's a perfectly fine and fun and flavourful class.

There're a few issues though, but generally it works out. The biggest issue is probably the level 6 feature being a bit odd and feeling cheesy/overpowered at lower levels and things like healing draught being a non-option pick, with thunderstone a close second.
>>
There is way too much wizard talk for this cleric edition. Bearing that in Mind, does anyone have any good ideas for a Necromancer/Death priest sort of cleric. Neutral, not good or evil, sort of like a druid, in that they understand the balance, but aren't afraid to disrupt it for the greater good.
>>
>>51323881
Who here has actually played a caster who they depicted as having a hidden face? I've had one, and they were mostly a rogue.
>>
>>51323889
>every wizard out to find me, right before they enter my arena I'll just True Polymorph into a high CR golem.
>just as planned

>and there's a window of opportunity against the contingency object to counterspell its spell.
Contingency is a stored spell. When it triggers, it happens without any warning at all. If you manage to counterspell a contingency it's out of pure luck and I am not entirely sure it's even able to be counterspelled. Pretty sure it can't be counterspelled.

You could probably dispel the contingency, but that requires that you actively know that there's a contingency up.
>>
>>51323930
Fiend: Nuke your enemies
Fae: Dance around your enemies, fool them into thinking their allies are you
Great old one: Spout gibberish for five minutes before an indecipherable rune appears in the air. All you think it does is make it a little harder to breathe. Every day it grows a little darker. You are beginning to grow afraid.
>>
>>51323928
Interesting, for me it's the exact opposite. I can relive memories, like sitting in a movie theater and "seeing" my memory. Alternatively, I can shift the POV to first person and just relive it as if I was experiencing it for the first time. Taste, touch, sight, sound, and smell, I can imagine it all. Apparently not all people with hyperphantasia can do that, they generally can only do some of them, but not all at once. I didn't even realize it wasn't normal until about a year ago when I read how rare it was.
>>
>>51323958
I played a wizard back in Pathfinder who was building up a crime syndicate. As such, I used a mask since it's a lot easier to build a reputation with that.
>>
>>51323963
>You could probably dispel the contingency, but that requires that you actively know that there's a contingency up.

I'm planning to assassinate a level 20 wizard with myself, a handful of midlevel wizards, and 50 peasants, and you think I haven't considered that he may have a contingency spell up?

I'm an NPC, not an idiot.
>>
>>51323765
As someone who detests multiclassing and especially "Dipping", the blade lock build I did worked pretty fantastic.

Undying Light, using Green-flame blade as it scales better than extra attack. The fact that you suck in melee since you're not a real martial and your defenses are a touch shit is remedied by the fact that if you go down, you pheonix flare for awesome effect. Play the zealous, for the light until death, and the light is undying style guy, getting downed is great thanks to that ability so you can play like a barbarian until you burn that then sit back and cast like the still-potent caster you are until next long rest.

Worked well, was very fun, not particularly overpowering but very enjoyable. I went human for 16 Dex, and Cha, Moderately Armoured and spent feat at 4th on Medium Armour Master for the slick Half-Plate, Shield 20AC No stealth penalty, Then pumped Charisma. Should have got 20cha first but meh.

If I wanted to try again, I'd love to do a very Mayan Lizardfolk. Undying Light and Greenflame people with your great-axe, A obscene MAD but rapiers are for dweebs, maybe a scimitar seems fun if you must use dex to not be shit.

Again, would be better with starting Fighter1-2 but you're not a bitch, are you?
>>
>>51323925
It's not worth potentially fucking yourself over in the future if you come back to the town or if you don't escape the town fast enough just for advantage on a social check or two.

>>51323963
Most spells take effect instantly, though, mechanically. That doesn't mean there isn't a bit of time used to cast it, and contingency could be the same. Though I guess you can also just disspell magic whatever it casts after it happens since it's not going to be a fireball or anything.

You can also still disspell true polymorph, which will leave the wizard without a level 9 spell slot. Or the wizards could just leave again since being a golem limits you greatly in versatility.

If you've got an arena for them, you should just have a load of magical traps or a bunch of bugbears waiting or almost any smart wizard plan to wipe out all the people hunting for you, not just turning into a golem.
>>
>>51323991
>the lvl 20 wizard pulls out a wand and casts an 8th level fireball on the peasants.

>Next the wizard keeps using lvl 1 and lvl 2 spells for them to get counterspelled
>midlevel wizards run out of counterspells and spellslots
>True Polymorph high CR golem

Wizards.
>>
>>51323788
Again, we're talking Level 20 grandmaster wizard, one of the strongest in the world with his 25 own personal students, odds are a decent amount will follow him to claim the throne. These are wizards we are talking about.
>>
>>51323993

I'm kind of dumb and only really like playing 2h STR builds. Rapiers and stuff just aren't my style at all. Do you think this would work even as a 2h STR build?

I'm bouncing between Human or Dragonborn currently for race.
Stats rolled are
15 STR 11 DEX 13 CON 11 INT 12 WIS 15 CHA
>>
>>51324070
>load of magical traps or a bunch of bugbears waiting or almost any smart wizard plan to wipe out all the people hunting for you, not just turning into a golem.

That's true, just fill the arena with Glyph of Wardings loaded with Explosive Runes and set to the word "dildosaurus".
>wizards walk into arena
>have a conversation
>scream "dildosaurus"
>the entire thing explodes for 20k+ damage.
>>
>>51323737

This is one of the big screwy problems with the whole scenario. It depends on an equally accomplished Wizard hanging around who is altruistic enough to serve some mundane guy in every kingdom. Of course if theres a lucrative court wizard position in every kingdom to prevent just such a thing then PC could just apply for that instead
>>
>>51323765
It's absolutely necessary.

Otherwise, you have to do what >>51323993 did and make EVEN MORE sacrifices to be viable, as if you didn't sacrifice enough shit already such as Warlock's main combat advantage, a level 3 option along with most of your combat versatility. Though at least you get to take advantage of melee-only things like attacking prone targets.

Taking a level of fighter boosts your AC much higher (From 14 AC to 21 AC potentially), means you don't have to do dexterity bullshit (So you can get PAM and be a proper bladelock except you didn't take pact of the tome for shillelagh because you're a MAD fucker). Since you're willingly trading away the great versatility of fighting from a distance while blasting enemies 10ft away each time you hit for having to run up to enemy faces and get yourself whacked, you will be taking attacks and you will need that AC.

If you don't do something to cure that AC deficit you will suck.
>>
>>51323774
>You gain a bonus your initiative
Nix that. It's far too powerful
>>
>>51322924
>Be adult son of nobleman
>Dad signs over all his wealth to a random peasant
>Hahaha no way, get him declared insane and take over for him
Same could work for any male of the family. A brother of the noble could decide to intervene and either be a good uncle to his nephews or skim some lands or wealth for himself.

Its really adorable how you think a nobleman could give all his wealth to a single random peasant and nobody would intervene. If nothing else you would be assassinated simply for being in places you shouldn't.
>>
>>51324090
Similarly, there'll be plenty of people who DON'T want them to take the throne. A level 20 wizard who goes around being a douchebag is probably the worst thing to happen to the world since BBEG showed up.
If the wizard is a chill guy though who'd make a cool ruler there was never a need for whatever started this thing hours ago about mind controllig kings or whatever.

>>51324121
And this is how you win 5e. None of this 'I walk in and kill everything because I'm a boss'. It's all preparation and action economy abuse by stacking the same spell over and over.
>>
>>51323930
Fiend want you to gank n00bs
Fey want you to infiltrate and subvert a guild
GOO want you to exploit glitches that crash the server
>>
>>51323071
>Be swimming in money by level 10
>Ask DM if we can use the hirling rules to hire mercenaries
>Hire like 400 mercenaries
>End up pretty much playing a campaign based around berserk
>Starts with simple battles and turns into court politics as we gain influence
But yeah just planning to use magic or wealth to gain power in a feudal monarchy is stupid. Influence in a feudal monarchy comes through warfare and land as the backbone of society was based around military service and land as opposed to people just throwing money at each other.
>>
>>51324138
Implying you wouldn't have already taken care of his son/brother/whoever can claim to be an heir.
Secondly, aslong as the head of the family is alive and seem to be fine, they can't go "lolno you're not allowed to do this".
>>
>>51324158
Speaking of, that'd make wizard towers/mansions pretty much impossible to get into without dying.
>every inch filled with Glyph of Wardings
>>
If you cast a 20ft diameter Gate connecting to the Plane of Water, how much water comes out in the course of a minute?
>>
>>51324134

I don't think it's too strong. I like it.

>>51323774

Like the new level 6. I'd make it 14th level though. EKs get the ability to cast a spell and then bonus action attack only at 16 or so.
>>
>>51324271
20ft * 60 seconds = 1200ft of water
>>
>>51324291

I think your math here is dubious at best. You gotta consider how fast the water's coming through (which there is a hard limit on IIRC)
>>
>>51324296
20 * 60 - 1200

Assuming gravity is the same as our Earth

1200 * 9.807 = 11768.4ft

This is all with the assumption that you open the gate in the air facing the ground. If it's opened sideways then it depends on the speed of the current.

If you open the gate so that water comes through from something like the bottom of the ocean, then again, gravity is the force that pulls the water down through the gate.
>>
>>51324271
None.

Bear with me a moment, this isn't a "fantasy setting no real physics BLEARGH" answer.

The Plane of Water is an infinite plane of water. It has gravity, but the fact that it's infinite means that the water above isn't pressing down on the water below; there's no layer of broiling super-condensed steam, for instance. That means that there's no pressure differential between any two locations within the Plane of Water (...somehow. that part pretty much has to be just "it's magic"), which means that there's no force to cause water to rush in any particular direction, including out of an open portal.

So, in conclusion, if you opened a magical portal to a magical plane of deducibly magical water, the most logical thing to happen is for the water to stand at the gateway without being pushed in or out.
>>
>>51324291
How exactly are you measuring water in feet?

Also, how did you structure an equation as Distance * Time = Distance?
>>
>>51324373
huh?

>>51324363
That is true unless gravity on our side of the gate affects the water in the plane
>>
So im playing a rogue and I finally reached my first ability score improvement. Thanks to the DM making me roll for stats, I have a reasonably high stat line already with 14/18/13/13/15/16.

Would this be better used to bump my dex to 20, get con and wis up to 14 and 16, or is there a feat I should be looking into.
>>
>>51324427
This is meta gaming
>>
>>51324363
Wouldn't there be a pressure differential between the open side of the portal and the closed side, given the portal is one-sided? Now I'm imagining the portal on the other side would shoot off like a water rocket.
>>
>>51324427
Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter is great if you're a rogue and using a hand crossbow.

Though since you probably aren't a variant human, you'll have to wait until lvl 8 for full benefit.
Crossbow Expert in itself is really good though, two chances to land your sneak attack and you won't get murdered due to being in melee.
>>
>>51324134
Is it really? I figured compared to the host of benefits that Bladesinger gave, it was actually quite self-controlled and manageable. I also felt like Intelligence needed something a little extra, as it serves no real purpose aside from save DC and attack modifiers for Wizards. Compare it to Int to AC for Bladesingers, while it is twice per rest(IIRC), you have to ask yourself exactly how many battles you're gonna have per short/long rest.

>>51324290
I could do level 14.
>>
>>51324406
>That is true unless gravity on our side of the gate affects the water in the plane
The issue there is that there's gravity on both side, and for some reason the gravity on the Plane of Water is not affecting the water on that plane. It's possible that terrestrial gravity is different to the planar gravity in some way, which could draw the elemental water through, but it's always described as being basically the same as terrestrial gravity in the interest of allowing stories about adventures on the plane. If both versions of gravity are the same, then the elemental water is being supported in some way or else is immune to gravity, so it wouldn't pass through the portal unless pushed through.

>>51324435
The plane can't really be pressurized when there's no pressure coming from above, and since there isn't an infinite pressure on the infinite plane, it's reasonable to assume there isn't any.

In fact, it's more likely that the pressure of air on our side (air that IS effected by gravity and is being pressurized by the air above it pressing down) would cause some terrestrial air to start to push the water away from the portal, rushing into the Plane of Water.
>>
>>51324432
It's not cheating if no-one finds out. And he is playing a rogue.
>>
>>51324765
Yeah, but what is the lore reason for him taking the ability score improvement?

Who is going to teach him the feature?

Choosing your abilities is out of character meta gaming
>>
>>51324817
you make up a reason and integrate it into your character's story, obviously.
>>
>>51324817
>lore reason for him taking the ability score improvement?

What?
Fight mucho, fight hard, body become better.

You don't have to have a "lore reason" as to why a body improves due to strenuous use.
>>
>>51324829
My point being min maxing can't be purely justified from an in character mindset.

The character wouldn't "know" what all the best stuff is etc.
>>
>>51324596
In that case, would the terrestrial portal move toward its open face, as the partial vacuum in front of it created a pressure differential relative to its closed face?
>>
>>51324897
well if he's already gone for the option of asking /tg/ about minmaxing he clearly is both stupid and doesn't care about cheating.
>>
>>51324929
I'm trying to ABSOLVE HIM OF SIN
>>
>>51324427
What race are you, what weapons and methods of fighting do you use? Essentially what >>51324449 said, there are good feats but it would help to know if you have any secondary abilities. If you have proficiency with longbows for example than marksman would be great. If you prefer to fight with two swords in CC than dual weapon fighting or whatever it is called so you can use two rapiers as opposed to two short swords.
>>
>>51324897
They could chance on it or research it.

>Huh, says here in this book that counterspell is a really useful spell.

A character naturally wants to do the best they can and if they just so happen to do the things that make them the best they can instead of going and learning a language or something instead, then it only flows naturally.

You could also say following the plotline is metagaming, too, instead of abandoning the party constantly to do other things. How does a character know that they have to stay the course and put up with their teammates constantly even through bad shit because they'll become a level 20 rogue like that? They don't, it's just the player not being a douche.

I think it's good to have a balance between metagaming and 'roleplay', though it depends on the group and you should shift more towards how the group plays.
>>
>>51324897
What the hell do you do just list all possible choices on a dart board, blindfold yourself, spin around ten times and throw a dart?

If he wanted to minmax he probably wouldn't play a rogue and the vast majority of good options for any build can be justified for a character.
>Wizard uses a lot of fire spells
>Naturally picks up elemental adept for fire

>Rogue tends to use two short swords
>Eventually learns how to use bigger and heavier swords like rapiers

>Ranger picks off targets at long range
>Eventually becomes better at it being able to effectively ignore cover and hit targets accurately at very long ranges

The only real powergaming choices are multiclassing into largely or completely unrelated or diametrically opposed class.
>>
File: paladin of tyranny.jpg (82KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
paladin of tyranny.jpg
82KB, 600x600px
>>51324954
THERE IS A LIMIT TO WHAT WE CAN DO BROTHER.
>>
Do you guys ever... "Are you sure you want to do that?" as a DM?

Secondly, I'm about to control my first caster against the party, do I tell them the names of the spell or do I just RP the somatic/verbal parts and describe the effect, such as fireball being a torrent of flame that explodes outward. how do I explain charm person though?
>>
>>51325023
With the group I DM for, I have two players that really enjoy roleplaying and make choices that are "fun" and can be backed up through their characters personality etc.

I then have one player who will stop at nothing to be THE BEST. He will even go so far as to try and lie about his rolls and his modifers. He did this a lot when I started DM'ing until I picked up on it and shut him down.

I really prefer the way the other two guys play. It makes for a more enjoyable and interesting session instead of someone needing to win because they fail outside of the game.

>>51325042
Those make sense.
>>
>>51325091
Do it for every decision they make. Even the innocuous ones. Even the ones where it'll go to plan. It'll both give them an opportunity to reconsider and make them think about their decisions.
>>
As a new DM. How do you handle private messages that are between DM and player or player to player?
>>
>>51325091
Don't give them spell names, ever. Always describe it.

Charm person could be described as feeling foreign thoughts or an alien force in your head. Make a saving throw to try and push them out.
If they fail the force etc. grows stronger and takes over.
>>
>>51323506
Kobold Dragon Hunting Party is an unfunny meme I pushed when Volo's came out. Apparently some other people post it every now and then.
8INT Wizards, lv3 Fighter vs kobold warren and Diamond weapons is just too much for me to explain.
>>
>>51325091
Well, when you consider what charm person does, you can think of an easy explanation.

Charm person simply prevents a creature from attacking the caster and makes them regard the caster as a friendly acquaintance.

You could get the player to roll a dice and try to find a way to make it not obvious that you just made them roll a save throw, take them aside and say 'your character thinks they remembers this guy from somewhere, an old friend' sort of thing. That's all they need to know, really. If the player is any good they'll start acting as if under the charm person spell and honestly they might not even know they're under it, they'll just think 'well, this is part of my character's backstory, right?'

Don't tell them what's happening. Don't even give them the 'charmed' condition, let them attack the wizard if they then do something that'd break the spell like attack their friends.
>>
Eldritch blast/general magic question:

>"The spell creates more than one beam when you reach higher levels: two beams at 5th level..."

Is that 5th level warlock or 5th level generally? Could a Fighter 3, Warlock 2 get two beams?
>>
>>51325248
Warlock levels. Otherwise that would be some ridiculous bullshit for a fighter level 19 to suddenly get the best cantrip and fire four beams with it.
>>
>>51325248
5th level generally.
That's part of the strength of a 2lv warlock dip
>>
>>51325275
learn to read
>>
>>51325114
To be fair wanting character focused choices doesn't inherently run counter to wanting powerful choices. Using the rogue's example plenty of options can be justified.

>Dexterity
Self training through experience. If you do a lot of stuff that requires dexterity you will naturally improve at it
>Constitution and Wisdom
After adventuring a while the rogue learns the price of not being aware at all times and becomes more tolerant to pain. He is always more alert for dangers and can shrug off wounds that would originally cripple him due to pain
>Marksman
The rogue picks off enemies at long ranges with a hand crossbow and begins to become more skilled at picking off enemies at longer ranges regardless of cover
>Dual weapons fighting or whatever
Rogue uses two swords, eventually starts using two bigger swords as he becomes more accustomed to heavier weapons through training

Unless the rogue wanted to take levels in say cleric or sorcerer I wouldn't care, and even then I would halt his level up and give him a side quest or something to justify it (eg. religious epiphany and going to a church to begin becoming a cleric or becoming the pupil of the party cleric or he discovers that he has some draconic ancestry and begins training his powers). If a party is unbalanced my suggestion would just be to tailor encounters or the campaign to make everyone feel valuable.
>Player has spotlight stealing wizard with low charisma
>Throw in some intrigue and negotiations

>Paladin smites everything that gets close before party can contribute
>Have longer days where the paladin will slowly run out of spells and must rely more on the rest of the party
>>
>>51325275
That's how all cantrips work.
Caster supremacy is still a thing, friendo.
>>
>>51324129
>>51323993

So Fiend or Undying Light for a patron?
>>
>>51325248
All cantrips scale by total level, not class levels.
>>
>>51325338
This news saddens me. I pray my companions never find out about this.
>>
>>51325342
Undying light is the most powerful, and especially for a bladelock it allows you to use green flame blade better which is essential if you're pact of the tome bladelock. Otherwise, it's just pretty damn handy to have anyway if you don't have PAM. If you have PAM for up to four attacks every turn, eh.

Then the other abiltiies they get are overpowered, but they're not overpowered when you consider warlocks and especially bladelocks aren't very powerful anyway without multiclassing. Though undying light 1 for GFB sorcerer abuse....

Anyway, if you plan on using GFB, definitely undying light. Otherwise, probably undying light with maybe fiend.
>>
>>51317681
The Wartblood Tribe
>>
>>51325326
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. Just my experience comes from a guy who fought a banshee and realised it had resistance to his physical attacks (He tallies his damage against enemies). After complaining and moping about it he uses his OOC knowledge to know that having his weapon silvered will counter the resistance.

He wouldn't shut up about getting it silvered and then when I asked him why his character wants it silvered he says "Oh, he wants to be a monster hunter now". It beggars belief.
>>
>>51325393

I'm definitely leaning PAM, with GFB.
>>
>>51323495
You could take another lvl in Warlock for the Eldritch Invocations feature and go just Rogue after. Invocations like Mask of Many Faces, Devil's Sight, and Beguiling Influence lend themselves to be useful to Rogues.
>>
>>51325453
PAM's bonus attack won't work if you use GFB. The reaction attack will, however.

If you're going GFB, you don't need pact of the blade except for lifedrinker at level 12 which you'll probably never get. After all, you can't use extra attack with GFB.
In that case, you should get pact of the tome instead for shillelagh (charisma).
>>
I wish I had a DM that didn't set up the party for failure.
>>
>>51325519

Well I suppose I should say I plan to use GFB at early levels since it's clearly just better until I get an extra attack since it functions like a mini cleave. With PAM the decision to use GFB or not would depend on the situation.
>>
>>51325581
New thread
>>
>>51324427
Sentinel is fantastic on rogues if you plan on being anywhere near melee depending on if your GM handles the monster-metagame, aka do they know that the rogue will sneak attack them in the eyes if they attack his friend and thus attack the rogue whenever possible.
>>
>>51324346

20 isn't the area of the circle, it's the diameter. you need to do pi r*2 in order to figure out the area of the circle. If the circle appears underneath the water, I think you need to factor in the weight of the water above the hole too, because IIRC pressure can impact fluid motion (like how wind speeds up when it moves through canyons or between buildings).
>>
>>51325338
>>51325350

not that big of a deal you babies
>>
>>51325137
Notes passed under the table
>>
>>51327165
My group uses Skype messages, with the implicit understanding that phone use at the table is D&D only except for emergencies. Passing notes between each other that way might as well be interpreted as looking up your spell list on an app.
Thread posts: 366
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.