[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 51

File: small_griffin_by_sandara-d81wg1n.jpg (564KB, 800x1068px) Image search: [Google]
small_griffin_by_sandara-d81wg1n.jpg
564KB, 800x1068px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51296094

Let's post pictures of familiars edition.
>>
I should really make variant rules for weird familiars one of these days. Outside of Chain Pact warlock, the familiars that exist are pretty vanilla.
>>
>>51306633
>>51306641

Not that anon, but Magic Missile does work funkily with Twilight Druid.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400
>>
File: jarrod-owen-the-familiar.jpg (142KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
jarrod-owen-the-familiar.jpg
142KB, 595x842px
How does someone know you're a wizard unless you roll into town with something REALLY weird on your shoulder?
>>
>>51307792
Usually you don't want to let everyone know that you are a wizard, because that just means that the DM will target you like a goddamn cruise missile in every encounter.
>>
How's this for a Harpoon Gun?

>Harpoon Gun 1d12 piercing 20 lb. Ammunition (range 50/200), heavy, reload (1 shot), two-handed, special

Special. A harpoon fired by this weapon embeds itself on the target. A creature can make a DC 20 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns to free itself from the harpoon. It can also use its action to make a DC 15 Strength check with the same purpose.

Ammunition. The ammunition of the harpoon gun is a harpoon with 50 feet of silk rope attached to its end. One single piece of ammunition costs 20 gp and is difficult to find.

Thanks to a response from one anon in the previous thread, I'm now considering to add the option to make one single more powerful attack as an action with a 10ft pushback and Str save against knocked prone, for Large or smaller creatures. Good? Bad?
>>
>>
>>51307824

Isn't a harpoon gun usually mounted on something? Or are you talking about the modern, underwater diving version?
>>
Is it possible to DM if you don't like roleplaying in-character (as in, speaking in first person and doing voices and talking to yourself when two NPCs converse)?
>>
>>51307866

It'd probably be a really dry game. Imagine a world in which no one acted like a person.

You might be able to do a hack-n'-slash dungeon crawl that way.
>>
>>51307866
Adding a different voice helps a lot with differentiating NPC's, so I'd suggest that you work on being able to do that. It's not super necessary, but it does help for the overall feel and such.

Taking to yourself/NPC's talking to eachother can be worked around by just doing something like "the two men step into a backroom, you hear some muffled conversation but nothing you can discern" or something similar.
>>
>>51307906
This. Also remember that body language is important, if you're at a physical table. You don't have to do voices, but think about how a tavernkeep would carry himself, as opposed to a spoiled princeling.

On conversations between two people: I always have something like "you can hear them arguing loudly over whose turn it is to pay the tab, and [Insight check] you think you might have heard one of them name-drop a local crime boss."
>>
>>
File: victor-adame-servo-token.jpg (540KB, 1781x1614px) Image search: [Google]
victor-adame-servo-token.jpg
540KB, 1781x1614px
>>
How would one roll a harvest-themed druid with an awakened watermelon familiar?
>>
>>51307866
>talking to yourself when two NPCs converse
I think that's generally something to avoid, as the other anons said. One of our players tried DMing for a bit and by far the worst part of the experience was listening to his NPCs fucking yak exposition at each other for minutes on end.
>>
>>51308187

I keep it to five lines of NPC-to-NPC dialogue, max, and that's only on the rare occasion something super important is happening, like a personal betrayal, or discussing who gets to eat the PCs.
>>
>try my hand at DMing
>players complain that I'm descriptive enough and they don't feel interested in the world
>never figure out what they need from me
>accept that I'm not cut out for DMing and go back to being a player
> http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34039054

Suddenly it all makes so much fucking sense
>>
>>51307859
I'm talking about a mechanical (possibly gnomish) contraption that is similar to a heavy crossbow, only a bit bigger. So I guess somewhere between those two?
>>
Anons? Long story short, I've been wanting to work out some new subraces for the tiefling inspired by Pathfinder's "purebred" tieflings - yes, yes, I know the system is shit, but the lore can be interesting.

Anyway, I could really use some help making the results balanced. Like, this is my current writeup of the Shackleborn, the Kyton Tiefling, and I'm pretty confident it's massively overpowered as it is.

For a reminder, the "core race" traits for Tiefling are +2 Charisma, Medium size, Speed 30 feet, and Darkvision.

Shackleborn Tiefling Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
Pain is Pleasure is Pain: When a shackleborn is at half or less of its maximum hit point total, it gains Advantage on attack rolls and skill checks. This bonus is lost if it is healed above half of its maximum hit point total.
Love The Lash: A shackleborn is Proficiency with the Whip and the Spiked Chain.
>>
>>51308309

So like this, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltxENq91Ma4
>>
>>51308316
>core tiefling
>+2 CHA
>basically a ribbon ability

>your tiefling
>+1 CON
>advantage on everything every turn forever when under half HP
>>
>>51308364
Not exactly how I picture its appearance, but the way it works looks about right!
>>
Running a TES game using 5e.
So I had to alter the races slightly.
Also it's a Mer campaign.

High elf gets disadvantage against poison and disseases but an extra lvl 1 spell slots for every 4 caster levels (a minimum of one).

Wood elf gets a +1 on all rolls with bows.
But get a reputation feature where everyone takes them for cannibals I.e. a -1 on all social rolls against all non-wood elves.

Dark elves are reworked for fire resistance and can summon a CR1 /2 spectral ancestral warrior to fight at their side once per long rest.

Orcs get blacksmithing and heavy armour proficiency.

Dwarves don't exis any longer.

Falmer get a -2 Cha.
Perma blind.
+3 Dex and blindsight (10ft), advantage on all checks relying on hearing.

Maromer get +2 Dex +1 Con.
Aquatic(waterbreathing at will and a swim speed of 30ft).
Proficiency with Spears, Tridents, Daggers, Shortswords.

Khajeet
+2 Dex, +1 Cha
Unarmed damage die 1d4 slashing usable with either Str or Dex.
30ft movement.
Fey ancestry.
Thieves tools proficiency.
>>
>>51308568
>>51308568
>+1 on all rolls with bows.
>-1 on all social rolls

This sort of roll modifiers goes against the 5e design ethos.
>>
Can somebody please explain to me how the Harpers are good guys? Their goals seem utterly chaotic stupid to me.
>>
File: WjSyhgF.jpg (26KB, 337x498px) Image search: [Google]
WjSyhgF.jpg
26KB, 337x498px
>>51306641
>>51306633
No. Magic missile only makes one roll for all the missiles. Check sage advice if you're still unsure, but /5eg/ has had this topic come up a lot as it's rather counterintuitive, though it does vaguely make sense.

>>51306483
You get 2 level 5 spell slots at level 10.
You have 10d10s at level 10, if I remember right.

Twice a day, you may cast two level 5 magic missiles with +5d10 damage.

That's an average of 3.5 (Normal damage) + 27.5 (bonus damage) over 3 (level 1 magic missile) + 4 (upcasted to 5) missiles.

7*(31) = 217 force damage, automatically hits.

You deal 217 fucking force damage, twice a day.

Your DM should not allow this.
>>
>a 20 on a death saving throw represents an anime power up and counts as a long rest
>>
>>51308813
That's assuming I'd blow half of my pool on a single spell.

You and the other guy seem to be under the impression that I'll attempt to go full "9th level magic missile dump my entire pool" type of play to invalidate the other players fun.
The entire premise of the build, as stated earlier, is to be a TPK denier and having a decent nuke helps that a lot since it's another tool to use.

I'd at most use 3d10 on a magic missile, and that's in emergency situations.
>>
>>51308813
Also, how in the fuck are you getting 217 average damage out of 5d10 + 5d4 + 5 assuming casting at a level that enables 5 missiles?

Am I just retarded?
>>
File: tom-bombadil-65702.jpg (108KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
tom-bombadil-65702.jpg
108KB, 500x492px
>>51308864
No matter how you look at it, it's a 'I have nuclear weapons, but I'm choosing not to be better than everybody else because I'm too cool for that.'

Maybe that's fine, but it just feels so morally wrong. It also brings about the question when you do use it, 'If you can do that why don't you just win every encounter for us? Why aren't you doing your best?'

There's no reason to not use 5d10 at a time other than 'I'd overkill everything' or 'I don't want to be TOO good.'

It's pretty much like having a 'cheat' button right in front of you. It's just better to play the game without the cheat button, even if you only half-use the cheat.

>>51308898
You only roll magic missile's damage once then apply it to all magic missiles.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400
>>
>>
>>51308859
>counts as a long rest
what?
>>
>>51309043
>>
>>
>>51309007
>There's no reason to not use 5d10 at a time other than 'I'd overkill everything' or 'I don't want to be TOO good.'
I'm guessing you've decided to not actually read anything about my actual use of said tool, otherwise you'd already know the answer to this.
To put it shortly however, the character is built as a TPK avoider. Also, you seem to be under the impression that we'd start at level 10, since that's what you're pulling the example from.
At level 4 for example, you'd get a whopping 3d4+3+1d10.

>You only roll magic missile's damage once then apply it to all magic missiles.
Yes. Which means at lvl 10, I'd have 9 D10's to allocate.

Let's say I drop a magic missile with 5 missiles.
This gives me 5d10 + 5d4 + 5. Which is an absolute maximum of 71.
The second cast of it, would give me 4d10 + 5d4 + 5, which has a maximum of 61.

Where, in this, do you get an average of 217 damage per day?
When the maximum of both casts combined, is 132?

It doesn't multiply the damage die.
>>
>>51308316
This is what ruins homebrew for everyone else.
>>
>>51307792
They can tell you dumped Strength, aren't wearing armor, and don't have a martial weapon on you.
>>
>>51308267
If it helps, you weren't descriptive enough to include the word "not" in ">players complain that I'm descriptive enough" so I had no idea what you were on about.
>>
>>51309089
To elaborate, you have a POOL LIMIT of putting let's say 5d10 into a magic missile.

That doesn't become 5d10x3+1d4x3+1x3, because you have a resource LIMIT of ONLY HAVING 5d10 at that point. It can't multiply since it has nothing to pull from.
>>
Is Prismatic Wall a good spell ?
>>
>>51308316
Why do people always make homebrews so broken? Just follow the format of the official stuff. Is there any race that gives advantage like that? Its so powerful.
>>
>>51309089
At level 4 you'd get 4*(3.5+11) = 58 damage unless you purposely held back. It's not as ridiculous, but it's still overpowered.

You can ask your DM for the ability to summon an angel and obliterate as many enemies of your choosing twice a day and then only use it to kill half the enemies in only one encounter every day, but isn't that kind of a bit stupid?

It does multiply the damage dice. This has been established many times before - evocation wizard's ability and other 'increase damage' abilities benefit magic missile in a multiplicative fashion. Again -
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072
You roll the damage once.

It's not 217 a day. It's 434 if you want to go for 'per day'.
If you have a grave cleric of level 2 assisting you with an action, you can up that damage to 868 a day if it's against a single target. At level 10. But we'll assume we're not going maximum bullshit.

Also, at level 10 you can use 7 magic missiles at a time if you want, 5 missiles would be a level 3 magic missile spell. And when you can just nuke entire encounters, you might as well use level 5 magic missiles. Also 10d10 to allocate with up to 5d10 per spell since you'd be level 10 at this point.

Just for fun, I'd like to point out that even if it doesn't ever happen, at level 20 you can do 1287 damage a day with it without a grave cleric supporting you. That aside, it's overpowered right from the first time you can do it at level 2.
>>
>>51308316
>I'm pretty confident it's massively overpowered as it is.
No fucking shit
>+2 Cha
>Darkvision
>+1 con
These are okay
>Advantage on DAMN NEAR EVERY CHECK while under half hp
Holy shit drop that. Get some damn Temp HP after dropping a certain amount or something jesus.
>>
File: Angel summoner and BMX bandit.png (278KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Angel summoner and BMX bandit.png
278KB, 800x450px
>>51309219
>>51309089
Whoops, sorry, my bad, it is 9d10 because 1 level multiclass.
Unless you get a wand of magic missile somehow.
>>
I'm about to watch a run through of lost mine of phandelver before I DM it. Who do you suggest I watch?
>>
>>51309219
>evocation wizard's ability and other 'increase damage' abilities benefit magic missile in a multiplicative fashion.
I think you're getting a bit too caught up on that seeing as the Evocation wizard doesn't have a LIMITED pool of int modifiers to pull from.

The Druid ability has a set pool, thus it can't magically pull more damage dice from a pool that has a SET number of dice.
A modifier can be multiplied by magic missile, that's fine, that is an infinite resource. A set pool of dice you can add doesn't magically become MORE dice.

That's just not how it works when it's about a limited resource.
>>
>>51309302
The official one is pretty good but they stop before getting all that far in.
>>
Daily fucking reminder that multiclassing and UAs don't mix
>>
>>51309344
My Ranger/Mystic/Gunsmith is breddy good though.

Got a sweet gun, HP out the wazoo, favored enemy, tons of utility...
>>
>>51309312
You roll the dice and add it to the damage.

Your evocation wizard modifier is whatever you just rolled on your dice.

"Roll the spent dice and add them to the damage as necrotic damage"
Compare to
"Beginning at 10th leveI, you can add your intelligence modifier to the damage roll of any wizard evocation spell you cast."

When you add to magic missile's damage, you don't add to the total damage after the magic missiles have hit, but rather you simply increase the damage.

The only way this wouldn't work is if 'add to the damage roll' and 'add to the damage' were different, but in fact 'damage roll' and 'damage' is interchangable for most uses.

>>51309344
This pretty much.
>>
>>51309386
Are you just pretending ?
>>
>>51309471
It's legitimately pretty sweet. The stat spread isn't that bad.
>>
>>51309391
>Your evocation wizard modifier is whatever you just rolled on your dice.
Wot? Evocation wizard modifier is a static X(whatever your int is).

It still doesn't function as it's pulling from a limited pool. When you have a theoretical maximum of 9d10 you can use per day, you can't magically turn that into 27d10.
>>
>>51309344
But how else am I going to recreate my Pathfinder multiclass prestige template "God Crusher Slaying Demon Sword Style Monster Golem" character?
>>
>>51309543
I'm sure the next Paladin or Wizard UA will allow for that pure-classed.
>>
>>51309518
Once you've rolled the druid dice, it's a static. X. The fact it's not static before rolling doesn't really change anything - you roll it and add it to the damage, much like how you don't roll and then add evocation wizard's ability to the damage.

You're not turning it into 27d10 because you're only rolling up to 9d10 unless you use it on a crit attack roll. Instead, you're just applying the dice multiple times like an area of effect.

Say, you cast fireball. You roll 8d6 damage and apply that damage (half on save) to everybody. What do you think happens if you add 5d10 to it? Normally, you should do 8d6+5d10 for the damage roll then apply it to everybody. Yes, you've just made 5d10 do more damage than just 5d10, but that's how it is.
>>
>>51309610
That doesn't multiply the 5d10 you're adding to the Fireball spell. That's just 5d10 that applies to multiple targets.

How you're saying it should work with a limited pool resource, is that you add 5d10 to a magic missile that does for example 5d4 + 5, and turn it into 5d10x3, magically making more d10's appear despite it being far and above your maximum per day.

That may be how Magic Missile itself functions in regards to modifiers if you roll it as one damage, but when a limited pool applies, you can't "stretch" that pool by saying "that's how the spell works".

That'd be like saying that Smite should apply to both the melee attack and the Thundering Smite for free for example since it's both "a single attack".
>>
>>51309675
Honestly, we could probably drop this discussion for the sake of our sanities, as we can't seem to agree on how to interpret the synergy in question.

I personally can't agree that damage pulled from a limited resource should be "stretched" due to how a spell works. Let's just leave it at that I suppose.

This also drastically cuts the effectiveness of said combo, thus meaning that the build I was thinking of is a lot more okay.
>>
>>51309675
To quote the rules master once more -
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557823175581769729
"Yep. It's one damage roll, just like fireball, but that roll can damage the same target more than once."

It is not 5d4+5.
It is not 5d10 to every missile.

It's 1d4+1 and 5d10 once. It's like an area damage spell - you roll the damage, and then apply. You don't roll damage for every single target/missile.
>>
Holy fuck how are we still going back and forth on Magic Fucking Missile.
>>
>>51309706
I think the easiest thing to say is just 'You cannot use twilight druid's dice on any non-druid spells'
This keeps any unintentional broken stuff from happening by using it on magic missiles or fireball or something. Even if you avoid using it on magic missile, there's still the case of fireball. And if you avoid the case of fireball, you're saying you then can't use it on Druid's AoEs, which I imagine it's intentional you might be able to use it on druid's AoEs. Though honestly if you go out of your way to get fireball from another class then it's probably deserved since that's 5 levels into wizard. Magic missile is the problem - it's a 1 level dip.

Maybe the entire feature needs rewording to 'you can apply Xd10 damage to an enemy damaged by one of your spells'.
>>
>>51309757
Because DnD is retarded and spells take up half the fucking PHB
>>
>>51309757
Because no matter how many times 5eg explains it there's still people who don't understand it
>>
>>51309344
Example of broken builds?
>>
>>51309916
Almost anything with a single level dip of UA Revised Ranger.

Almost anything with a single level dip of UA Shadow Sorcerer.

Oathbreaker.

Nuclear Ghandi / Nuclear Druid
>>
>>51309943
>>51309916
Oh, and don't forget tunnelfighter abuse or taking the +1 to attack rolls, no disadvantage at 5ft on a sorlockfighter.
>>
>>51309943
Is nuclear Ghandi the Twilight druid + Arcana cleric?
>>
File: 1466506718810.jpg (17KB, 296x394px) Image search: [Google]
1466506718810.jpg
17KB, 296x394px
>>51309916
Speaking of, can people post more stupid "broken" builds that you can do in 5e?
I'm talking
>double lance wielding, vulture riding, halfling rangers
>20 ft melee bugbear fighters
>goodberry life clerics
>>
>>51309978
Nuclear Ghandi is the magic missile abuse, but using tranquility monk instead. Usually with 2 fighter levels for action surge.

>get capstone feature
>use reaction when enemy drops something to 0
>get really fucking pissed
>holding a wand of magic missile
>+18 to all damage rolls
>cast magic missile
>action surge
>drop magic missile wand
>draw another wand
>cast magic missile again
>conquer the earth
>make people manufacture more wands of magic missile
>bonus points for grave cleric doubling damage
And then someone realized that you could also do this with tranquility druid.
>>
>>51309990
>goodberry life clerics

What makes this so good?

Each goodberry now heals for 4 instead of 1?
You get healed for 3 whenever someone eats one?

idungetit
>>
Aegis of Shielding

At 1st level, you excel at protecting your allies from harm and mitigating damage from enemy attacks. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, the target is marked by you until the end of your next turn.

The marked target has disadvantage on any attack roll against a creature other than you or someone else who marked it.

If a target is marked by you is within 5 feet of you on its turn and it makes an attack that suffers disadvantage from this feature and hits an ally, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage dealt to your ally by half.

As you progress in levels, you get sword of sigils and others on top of it, but these can only be used a limited amount per day and are then expended, refreshing with a short or long rest.

Thoughts please?
>>
>>51307824
>50ft rope
>200 ft range
>>
>>51310143
Nah
>>
>>51310139
It's one of those things that you do when you have a pisser DM and you just want to unbalance low-level sessions.
Think of it this way, you spend a level 1 slot to heal for 40HP in a day.
Cure wounds has an average of 4.5+WIS healing, at +3, that's 7.5 healing.
Goodberry heals 10 hp.
Life Clerics quadruple the amount of healing. That's pretty big, especially if you can convince your DM that popping a berry in your mouth should just take a bonus/free action.
>>
>>51310143
Sounds like something fighter would take a level dip in, so that a PAMGWM fighter can make a ton of attacks and mark everything.

Not that that's so bad unless you consider just how tanky a fighter can get by stacking AC. But I suppose it only grants diadvantage on attacks and monsters can still use non-attacks, so it balances out.

Probably fine enough.
>>
>>51308316
Change the advantage rule to like 10% or come up with something better. Otherwise you're just a straight glass cannon all the time.
>>
>>51310229
>free action

And anyway, at best your DM might let you consume a whole handful of them as an action.
>>
>>51309715
Except as the actual SageAdvice says about Magic Missile, you can either roll 1d4+1 and have that apply to all three, or roll three seperate dice.
Hence, it doesn't work.

>>51309765
I'd more say that Magic Missile needs a rewording since that is really the only problem child, as it is the only spell that CAN function as "roll 1d4+1 and mirror that two more times".
>>
>>51310261
Either way, surely you get what I mean.
A single spell slot is enough to heal a standard level 1 character 4 times over.
>>
>>51307792
Spellbook
Spell component pouch (probably have it visible if you want easy access)
Arcane focus (staff/wand/whatever)
Robes
Scrolls

If there's a guy rolling with an adventurer crew who doesn't have any martial weapons or armor, he's probably a caster. And if he's also a nerd, he's probably a wizard.
>>
>>51310220
Explain yourself.
>>
>>51310143
Automatic with no saving throw, can be used every turn?

Seems a bit broken
>>
>>51310464
OP OP OP OP OP
>>
>>51310329
By the 'you can roll 3d4+3' they mean 'nothing breaks if you roll 3d4+3 instead, so go ahead and do that if you'd like'. Just because he said it's fine to do it another way doesn't mean the normal rulings such as evocation wizard doesn't work.

They could have worded it better, honestly.
>>
>>51310237
Thanks heaps dude, nice, so it's not so broken; at that level it can only reduce damage.
I was also going to fold the other aegis of shielding effects into it, but then it could potentially get too powerful.

As is, what might your thoughts on its power source? ie, should it be made into a feat? Or something the fighter/bladesinger/EK can swap out an existing class feature?
>>
>>51310469
Typically, granting disadvantage has no save throw.
That's how 5e works. For example, bear barbarian's level 14 feature automatically causes all enemies within 5ft to have disadvantage against any target other than themself. No save throw.

Personally though I think the marking feature shouldn't be a level 1 feature.. Probably.
>>
>>51310506
In what way?
You can't use it to make attacks, only reduce damage on attacks to your allies. Are you a team player?
>>
>>51310526
>They could have worded it better, honestly.
Aye, but such is the life of DnD. RAW vs RAI and the people who try to abuse it.
>>
I wanna run an adventure featuring Gnolls for a 3rd party. I'm DMing for the first time. Give me plot ideas.
>>
Spectators are normally guardians of a lair of some kind, right?

Do they have a room they rest in? What kind of stuff would be in that room? How would it be decorated? What do they eat? Just curious what the lifestyle of a creature that stands guard in a dungeon like that is like.
>>
>>51310572
It's to good
>>
>>51310469
Please see >>51310554
I could make it 3rd level as per what marking seems to be in 5e. If we stick with the 1st level aegis, I could also include the caveat that you are replacing a class feature, but dunno how well that'll go down.
>>
>>51310598
>3rd level party
fix'd
>>
>>51310622
See >>51310626
>>
>>51310598
Gnoll warband is expanding territory, fucking things up for locals. Hilarity ensues.
>>
>>51309962

How does the sorlockfighter work with tunnel fighter?
>>
>>51310260
To be honest, I wasn't happy with the format it's got anyway. I think that there's a valid basis in the "if the Shackleborn is hurt sufficiently, it gets a boost" concept, but how to implement it is just... I don't know.

It literally only looks the way it does because I figured "hey, Advantage never stacks, so getting a boost to attack rolls at less than half health would be fair; it means you're good at hitting someone whilst beaten down, but only if you're willing to put yourself at risk of dying if somebody does land a subsequent hit".

All that's really coming to me as a hopefully better alternative is this:

Fueled By Agony: If you take damage in your turn, you can gain Advantage to one attack roll or ability saving throw of your choice made before the end of your next turn. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1), and then must take a long rest before you can use the ability again.

Alternatively, maybe go for some kind of boost at low HP comboed with the ability to get temp HP by dropping enemies in combat?
>>
>>51310551
Just realized you have to actually hit the creature, not just make an attack. That makes it a little less powerful than it was in my head, and sorta balances out.
I might say 'an enemy becomes unmarked if you move 30ft away from it' (But not if they move away from you) to avoid weird mobility things where they hit everything and then run away from where the enemies can hit you.

With that, it might be fine as a feat or as.. It might work for fighting style, just wondering if ti's too strong for that. After all, you lose out on a potential +1 AC if you take it instead as a fighting style. Hm.. If it were a fighting style, I might limit it to one enemy marked.

>>51310657
It doesn't. Tunnel fighter abuse and close combat sorlockfighter are two different things, especially when you consider both of them use different fighting styles.

Tunnel fighter abuse likely uses sneak attack or booming blade or PAM in order to do crazy damage reaction attacks or just tonnes of them.
>>
>>51310622
Too good in what way?
>>
Scourge Aasimar good enough for a barbarian? Or should I go orc for crit
>>
>>51310693
Yeah, you're only mitigating the damage but the attack against your ally still needs to be successful, so its inherent drawback is in that.
As you progress in levels, I was thinking of including ways to retaliate, but this'll also mean foregoing mitigating damage in place of making a retaliatory strike.

Good advice and good points, dude, thanks heaps. Definitely good food for thought. I'll need to read over the feats more and the fighting styles more.
>>
>>51310693
>>51310801
You also can't reduce damage to yourself.
>>
>>51310598
A white gnoll is born and is completely sane and kind. This is seen as a sign of the apocalypse for the rest of the tribe(s). Giant pre-end of the world murderfuck party starts and threatens an entire region.
If they don't get stopped Yeenoghu actually comes out for a bit to join in.
>>
So, I took the feedback from last thread and did some updates and grammar changes. For those unawares, this is meant to be a port of the Duskblade class from 3.5 to 5e. The idea behind the class is a more DPS gish, sacrificing some tankiness and survivability (compared to the Paladin) for more damage per round.

Current question/design issues posed from last thread that I'm open to ideas on:

> Developing a new/better capstone
> Looking for either more versatility or more unique mechanics to the archetypes
> Possible balance changes to spell scaling progression
>>
Is there a way to make the firearms in the DMG more lethal?
>>
>>51309211
New DM here. Do you know cases of hombebrewed 5e content that is fairly balanced enough to use?
>>
>>51310210
Yeah. The rope doesn't necessarily stay attached to the harpoon gun, so basically you can shoot a wyvern flying at 50 feet high (even if he's farther away than 50ft from you) and now the stronk fighter can climb the rope / have a strength constest to pull the wyvern down.
>>
>>51310892
>>
>>51310916
Nope. It's weak.
>>
>>51310699
See>>51310554
>>
>>51308898
>>51309089
Magic Missile rolls a SINGLE 1d4+1, no matter how many bolts you shoot. They all do the same damage. You shoot 5 bolts and roll a 1? They do 2 damage each, 5 of them for 10 damage total.

You apply +5d10 damage to that 1d4+1 and score a 35? You get 5 bolts, each doing 35 damage.
>>
This has got to have been addressed at some point, but is there a way to make blind characters that can still fight? The blind kung-fu master is a staple cliche.
One of my characters wants to play a blind character and I was thinking that he automatically fails any check that relies on sight, advantage on hearing checks, and maybe Darkvision, but only for detecting enemies?
>>
>>51310892
Here ya go bruv >>51309081
>>
>>51311034
Make it a feat, +1Wis and 10ft Blind Sense and handwave the character is blind.
>>
>>51309990
>goodberry life clerics
Imagine intentionally speccing into a berry-daddy
I just
>Krillin, could you toss me a senzu bean?
That's you now, and for the rest of time
>>
>>51311015
Incorrect. It's a single instance of damage. It only gets the 5d10 once. Just like Empowered Evocation:
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/26/bonus-spell-damage/
>>
>>51311005
See >>51310693 and >>51310801 and >>51310818
>>
File: Advanced Dungeon and Dragons.png (564KB, 835x740px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced Dungeon and Dragons.png
564KB, 835x740px
So, I was watching a video on the rules of character creation on older DnD editions and came across this page.

Doesn't that highlighted paragraph put an end to like half of the conversations you see on /tg/ about DnD balance? Gary Gygax himself says the combat doesn't have to be "realistic" or conform to what we think real biology is. Its a game that is meant to be balanced.
>>
>>51308101
For starters you have to be circle of twilight, no choice about it.

He'd probably be very familiar with meteorology stuff and lunar cycles. Try to find as much farmer slang as you possible can. Everyone who isnt you and isn't covered in a thick layer of dirt and sweat is a city slicker. Say "it's harvest time" at the beginning of every single combat.
>>
>>51311079
The character I've been bumping around in my brain is a beefy fightcleric who used better berries as a way to save spell slots for smacking niggers around more with spell slots I'd otherwise be using for healing.

It's just really damn efficient.
>>
>>51311087
Yes, it does get the 5d10 once.

On its single roll of 1d4+1, which determines the damage of the magic missile bolts.

Which are then applied a number of times based on the spell level.
>>
What are the "best" cantrips to take for an Arcana Cleric's Wizard cantrips?

I've taken Shillelagh already with Magic Initiate.

I'm thinking Sword Burst and either boomblade or GFB.

Booming Blade seems like the better choice, but I always see people say they like GFB more. Why is that? It being Fire and thus ignored by just about everything seems like it makes it kinda pointless, no?
>>
>>51311005
No, why do you personally think it's op?
>>
>>51311138
No. 1000 darts still are considered a single damage roll. (And a single instance if rolling concentration checks). It is augmented by bonuses. (2+spell level)x(1d4+1)+(INT mod if evocation)+(your 5d10). Just like STR mod augments your damage roll on a weapon, no matter how many dice you are required to roll. It just happens to be unique in that you can allocate portions of damage to other targets.
>>
>>51311177
GFB and sword burst. Once you get +wis to cantrips you are a DPS machine.
>>
>>51310229

Oh, I have a DM that has a good fix for that trick

Goodberries are watermelons
>>
>>51311317
Your group play as a bunch of murderhobos?
>>
>>51311211
I told you to see nigga so read
>>
>>51311418
And the other anon also replied with the other see's.
Did you actually read your see post, as that anon was highlighting it as potentially op not that it was and that it still uses established 5e language.

Why specifically do you think it's op? I need you to your own words and to actually understand what you're reading.
>>
>>51311376

we have a pretty regular group but once in a while thre'll come a week were the regular session goes up in the air and we just have to host one shots with the rest of the rando skeebs in the LGS
>>
>>51311418
>the attack needs to hit your ally
>doesn't work with every attack
Read nigga read.
>>
>>51310916
Guy-who-made-that here. As a rule, I wouldn't consider anything I made with a "v0.1" at the end to be play-ready. Rough drafts always have bugs.

I fixed a lot of the issues, and went with /tg/'s advice and called it the College of Dirges to be more in-line with how 5e names bard colleges. Newest release is right here, should be on the blog later today.
>>
>>51311508
lol
>>
File: entrance to grimmswood.jpg (90KB, 1023x678px) Image search: [Google]
entrance to grimmswood.jpg
90KB, 1023x678px
Hey guys, I come here asking for some ideas or thoughts on this plan of mine. Essentially the party is going to need to traverse this fairy tale inspired haunted woods, appropriately named the Grimmswood.
It’s mad spooky in there. Everything is dim light at best, and it only gets darker. To traverse the wood the Party will roll a d10 for one of 10 possible encounters. They will need to roll until they hit the numerical value of 20 to get out of the woods. when first entering the wood, and between every encounter, they will roll sanity (first 2 rolls are easy, then they jump in difficulty every two rolls. fail causes progressively worse debufs.)

Here's my encounter list so far, let me know if they sound cool, or if I should switch them out with something you'd suggest:
1. bridge troll (three goats gruff, with a internet troll spin on it maybe?)
2. "what big eyes you have" Big bad wolf
3. "Dead of winter" BB wolf with ice powers
4. "He's among us" BB wolf with possesion powers
5. Cursed swans (group of princes/soldiers cursed to be swans. group gets a boon for breaking the curse if they can)
6. Witch’s House (think hansel and Gretle)
7. the 7 bugbears (7 dwarves mixed with the 3 bears)
8. Sword Hill (puzzle with 3 cups, if solved party gets a magic sword)
9. Giants 3 (3 giants arguing over who should be chief. party can mediate, sponsor one over the other two, or get caught in a fight)
10. Beggar in the woods (nasty woods man. if they help him they get a boon, if they spurn him they get a curse)
>>
>>51311741
Not any of them, but are you actually a retard?
>>
>>51311741
See >>51311637
>>
>>51311740
Macabre Melodies is better.

Sorrowsong is too strong. Drop the "Add inspiration die to attack roll or against it's saves". I'd rather have do inspiration die amount of psychic damage when Sorrowsong ends. Also Bonus action to use is too strong. You can shut down casters easily (concentration spell fail when you are incapacitated). Plus if it was a bonus action you could still cast a spell as an action.

Grim Reqium: Rituals never consume spell slots. It isn't necessary to have that. Bard have ritual casting feature.

Death's Defiance: It would be better to have lvl+CHA+Inspiration roll and do it once per long rest. It is stronger but less easy to spam. Makes the effect more meaningful at those higher levels when fights are rollercoasters.
>>
Anons? Could use opinions on something. See, I'm trying to homebrew a world together and I've run into that problem point where there's so many potential things I *could* be pursuing I can't figure out which ones I *should* be doing.

Long story short, I could use opinions on narrowing down what I should be trying to focus on and just some help bouncing around ideas. Ground-up world-building - and what I'm trying to do is basically akin to those "world building sourcebooks" you got in 3.5, like the Ravenloft Gazetters or Secrets of Xen'Drik or Forgotten Realms: Unapproachable East.

Can I ask stuff like that here, or should I make a distinct thread for it? It is intended to be used for D&D 5e.
>>
>>51311779
That's really meme-y, what happens if they get lucky and roll 20 right off the bat?

How would you have an Internet troll spin on Three Goat's Gruff? Are they all retards?

You need to amp up the horror aspect.
>>
>>51311884
Good one my guy haha
>>
>>51311929
>what happens if they get lucky and roll 20 right off the bat?
They can only get 20 by at minimum 3 rolls, because they're rolling a d10 and can't repeat numbers. so at best they'd get: 10, 9, and 8 which puts them over 20.

>How would you have an Internet troll spin on Three Goat's Gruff? Are they all retards?
The troll's bridge is actually a crossing into the feywild, so going over it shifts them into it's home plane and puts them at a steep disadvantage. There it has access to some mean psychic attacks, fear effects, stuff like that. (also it's a huge shittalker.) If they can pull it out from the feywild tho, by getting it onto the PMP on either side of the bridge, it's a very scrawny, shitty troll who can be pretty easily dealt with.

>You need to amp up the horror aspect.
I agree. I'm trying to go with the sort of sublime horror old fairy tales had, where curses were just fucking awful, and happened at the drop of a hat. "Whoops you're a toad now. uh-oh now you're blind, too bad." stuff like that.
>>
>>51312011
I'm so sorry you're an actual retard.
>>
>>51311906
Homebrew guy here.

>Sorrowsong

So what we'd be looking at is BONUS ACTION => (enemy) CHA SAVE =(fail)=> INCAPACITATE + [Inspiration Die] spent.

That's enough to carry it, you think? Balancing it against a basic use of BI, it should at least be as good as +[Inspiration Die] to attack / skill check.

>Grim Reqium

True, but as Speak With Dead doesn't have the ritual tag and I'm essentially forcing it to be a ritual, it's important to specify and clarify.

>Death's Defiance

This makes sense. It feels more decisive and meaningful as a capstone, that way.

Feels odd to spend an Inspiration Die on something that's long-rest refresh, though.
>>
I've been inspired by Dungeon world, I ran a very successful pseudo-combat where no one rolled for initiative and there were lots of things going on bar just hitting each other, but there was a ton of acrobatics and cool fighting, and it seemed to go well, but I don't think it will work outside of a set piece.

I really like the idea of the different degrees of success, and having to make a hard choice to succeed. I'm not sure how I would best represent that in DnD 5e (especially combat). Anyone have similiar experience or something to share?
>>
>>51312030
At least I don't make shit homebrew lol haha lol
>>
>>51310874
Every ability is amazing and can be used in almost every combat scenario. Everything is completely combat based plus with spells, like a Eldritch knight but better.

I can't help the feeling that the kind of person who would enjoy playing this class are either extreme murderhobos or rules crunching powergamers.
>>
File: 1482333124945.png (14KB, 192x167px) Image search: [Google]
1482333124945.png
14KB, 192x167px
>>51311097
I dont really care about that shit.

As long as people are having fun at the table, those small numerical differences arent going to matter.

Now if you're some autist who goes shop to shop with their character sheet trying to "beat" campaigns people have made, then I could see.
>>
>>51307754
Weird familiars are all well and good, but aren't familiar options limited to just a handful of small animals outside of Chainlocks?
>>
>>51312089
So less focus on combat stuff? Let the archetypes have some out of combat stuff and not just have it be a murderhobo class?

What abilities stand out to you as being too strong or in need of tweaking? I want this class to be a balanced thing that I can let people use for their games.
>>
>>51312016
Sorry for the first, my eyes skimmed over the d10. The shit talking just makes me want to make snide comments at whoever is shit talking or just punch them. Dunno how your players would feel.

The others do sound really cool though.

Maybe have them chance across a gingerbread house with delicious smells coming from within, the house is unoccupied.
The smells become too enticing, and they start eating bits of the house or the scattered food within the house, which successful Wis saving throws reveals to be human corpses or rotting animal carcasses. They then hear an elderly crone cackling.

Maybe also have them hear sobbing, which turns out to be coming from a dilapidated cabin.
The windows and wood panelling seem oddly darkened, as if it was blackened by fire.
Peeking into the window, they see some one struggling mightily in bondadge.
They charge in to try to free that captive, but the doorknob feels oddly fleshy and the walls in the interior oddly seem to move as if breathing.
The walls start bleeding a greenish yellow sludge which burns like acid and the pcs then notice heaps and piles of bones, the captive has seemingly disappeared.
Tl;dr, it's a Venus fly trap cabin.
>>
>>51308568
>Wood elf gets a +1 on all rolls with bows.
Why is this a thing? I can't see any reason why the ability to handle a bow, or any object for that matter, would be hardwired to your DNA.
>>
File: jakeeyebrow.gif (555KB, 291x288px) Image search: [Google]
jakeeyebrow.gif
555KB, 291x288px
>>51312151
>refluffing doesn't exist
>>
>>51312074
sad lonely friday evening bump
>>
>>51311097
Thanks for this image, I going to spam this everytime retarded faggots from /k/ and /his/ invade our board with their garbage about guns and ugly female armor that no women want to wear.
>>
>>51312195

Racials also deal with cultural predilections and magical effects. DNA isn't the only thing at work in D&D.
>>
>>51312078
I'm not that guy, but others are also saying it's decent. Your idiotic blathering and everything you've written just reinforces the fact you're an actual retard. You can't even make shit homebrew let alone the decent homebrew he made because you're competely mentally deficient lol.
>>
>>51312078
You sound too mentally deficient to know what trolling is.
>>
>>51312078
Have you actually read what he made? Do you understand the words he used? Do you understand the words in the posts the other anons made?
>>
>>51312273
I never actually read it but got some sick (You)'s so thanks for that my guys!!
>>
>>51312203
Sure, I get that. But unless I'm the DM, I can't take refluffing for granted. If the rules themselves allow the use of more unusual creatures as familiars, that changes things.

At the moment anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what a "fey" owl looks like.
>>
File: thanks for all the (you)s.png (2KB, 244x226px) Image search: [Google]
thanks for all the (you)s.png
2KB, 244x226px
>>51312282
>>
>>51312333
>fey owl

Take a regular owl, and increase eyebrows.
>>
>>51312282
You didn't know you's aren't a thing anymore? Your mom didn't like your head and swung it at too many hard surfaces or what?
>>
>>51312070
Sorrowsong. Keep in mind. (RAW) you can spam it against enemies over and over. Say the first one will save, but then next turn you use it on another creature. You can keep spamming it out. As soon as a creature is incapacitated it is pretty much a goner. If you are in a fight with one or 2 big bruisers, you've essentially forced the enemy to lose a turn. It's quite strong. My suggestion about putting the die usage as psychic damage that hits when the effect ends is that it spreads some of the impact across the entire round. If the enemy is already killed before the damage triggers then so be it, it's already strong. But it also might be a deciding factor in helping end a guy. It gives it a bit more utility. Allowing it to augment attack rolls and spell saves is too strong because you could wait until an attack didn't land and bump it. It just doesn't feel as fun.
I 100% believe the mechanic is much stronger than cutting words and combat inspiration. I feel it would be well balanced as using an action, and still being able to bonus action pass out inspiration dice if needed.

Grim Reqium
Good point. You've convinced me.

Death's Defiance.
True. I think one of the biggest complaints people have about any capstones is when they aren't meaningful. This would be a fun one for sure. Could make for some epic battles. ("Oh shit, does the bard have his defiance up?!")
>>
>>51312282
>I-I-I'm not a retard, you guys, I promise!
>no, you guys I'm not a retard, I was only pretending to be a retard!!
>>
>>51312074
>I really like the idea of the different degrees of success, and having to make a hard choice to succeed. I'm not sure how I would best represent that in DnD 5e (especially combat). Anyone have similiar experience or something to share?

I feel like you'd do this if a check JUST fails. Making it if the check just passes means that you succeed less often which doesn't work.

I do worry that it messes with bounded accuracy. If you do something like "player A misses by 2" -> "player A can take an attack at disadvantage and enemy gets a reaction" then you're hitting much more often. I don't know... I feel like there's pros and cons to the Dungeon World style of game, and I'm not sure how it fits into miniatures + squares tactical combat. Maybe running like one combat a session as theatre of the mind with this kind of dungeon world feel, everything being a skill check or something, no initiative? I have no experience so just spitballing.
>>
>>51312334
>>51312372
>>51312389
Even more come on guys keep giving it to me.
>>
>>51312282
Never go full retard.

>>51312418
That's what your mom said.
>>
>>51311740
do you have any more of these? this is ironically more balanced than UA colleges, I like it.
>>
File: dndintroduction.png (101KB, 507x801px) Image search: [Google]
dndintroduction.png
101KB, 507x801px
>>51311097
Gygax also wrote the last paragraph of this and just check out literally everyone ignoring it for the past 30 years.
>>
>>51312364
+1 Eyebrows (Uncommon)
>>
>>51312418
We're not your mom or your sister.
>>
Well this thread has devolved into b8 and flame... I'm off.
>>
File: Marcela Medeiros Garcia.jpg (146KB, 1080x1527px) Image search: [Google]
Marcela Medeiros Garcia.jpg
146KB, 1080x1527px
>>51312375
>Sorrowsong

Cutting down on the spam-ability, the first time a creature makes its save against Sorrowsong, you can't affect it anymore.

How's this for an iteration of it:

>SORROWSONG. Also at 3rd level, you are able to evoke powerful negative emotions through music, expressing the sorrow that comes from living and the loss of life. You may use a bonus action and expend a use of your Bardic Inspiration to play or sing a song of mourning and loss. If you do, a creature you choose that is within 60 feet of you and that can hear you must roll a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. Roll your Bardic Inspiration die, and subtract the result from the creature's saving throw.

>If the creature fails, it becomes overwhelmed with grief that lasts until the beginning of your next turn, and is incapacitated for the duration. Creatures that are immune to charm effects are unaffected by this ability. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw may not be affected by this ability until you take a short or long rest.

>blah blah blah ritual bit is unchanged

The [inspiration die] on attack/saves is gone, BUT this subtracts the die from the save, BUT if the creature succeeds on the save, you've wasted your die and can't Sorrowsong the creature again.
>>
>>51312434

Also made this bard, earlier this month.

I've got a whole blog of this stuff if you're interested, link is in the credits section.
>>
>>51312490
Are you >>51312418
Don't be a sore loser, mate.
>>
Found this for you guys, http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk7mNdpd
>>
>>51312106
My point is that all the arguments people make about "Women get less strength cuz that makes sense" is directly refuted by that paragraph.

Same with people arguing that high powered warriors is "anime fightan." None of the combat is meant to be realistic or comform to human biology. Its a game to have fun with. Gygax says so himself.
>>
>>51312498
Yea when I meant spamability. I meant that lets say a group of 4 yetis approach your group. You cast faerie fire and grab 3. Then bonus action try sorrowsong but yeti saves. No big deal didn't lose any resources. next turn try sorrowsong on yeti #2. He fails and is incapacitated. Next turn you try on yeti #3 but he saves. next turn you try it on yeti #4 etc etc. There is no downside to spamming it in that fasion.

Now on to your greentext iteration. It's still a bonus action incapacitate that you can do 4 or 5 times per short rest. That is REALLY strong. I like the rest of it but you HAVE to make it an action. That is too much power. If you aren't always sorrowsonging every turn then you are not maximizing your your effectiveness. I like your change. It makes use of the die and makes it reliable. But make it an action.
>>
>>51310916
Honestly, kinda mild and low powered.
>>
>>51312510
Some of the stuff on that blog is pretty lit, yo
>>
>>51309111
What about a hobgoblin wizard?
>>
File: atey-ghailan-2.jpg (160KB, 1400x842px) Image search: [Google]
atey-ghailan-2.jpg
160KB, 1400x842px
>>51312599
Okay, I get you.

Honestly, looking back, I like your psychic damage idea a lot better than I like subtracting the Inspiration die from the saving throw. Maybe I could make it an action, and do something with that.

Last time I'm going to spam the general with greentext:

>SORROWSONG. Also at 3rd level, you are able to evoke powerful negative emotions through music, expressing the sorrow that comes from living and the loss of life. You may use an action and expend a use of your Bardic Inspiration to play or sing a song of mourning and loss. If you do, choose a creature that is within 60 feet of you and that can hear you. You may choose to deal 2d6 psychic damage to the creature, which increases when you reach certain levels in this class. This damage becomes 2d8 at 5th level, 2d10 at 10th level, and 2d12 at 15th level.

>The creature also must roll a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. If the creature fails this saving throw, it becomes overwhelmed with grief that lasts until the beginning of your next turn, and is incapacitated for the duration. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw automatically succeeds on all further saving throws imposed by this ability, until you take a short or long rest.

>Creatures that are immune to charm effects are unaffected by any part of this ability.

This is balanced against the UA Whispers bard (dangerous, I know), that can deal an additional 2 bardic inspiration die as damage as a part of one of their attacks.

This version of Sorrowsong gives up your ability to attack (because it eats your action), but does some scaling damage to compensate AND imposes a save vs. suck for the creature.
>>
So, uh... I might get some hate for this, but I want to give my players some cool abilities as rewards, and I've been told the best place to look for those kinds of things is in 4e, which I have never played. I've more or less chosen 2 of those, but need 3 more for the rest of the party. The 2 I got are:
>Marking, for the fighter/barbarian
This will be the easiest, since I can use the Knight archetype as a base.
>Warlord's Fearless Rescue, for the paladin
Once per day, as a reaction to watching an enemy within 30ft reduce an ally to 0 HP, you can move to that enemy and make one attack against it, The ally can immediately spend a hit die and regains an additional 1d8 for every opportunity attack you provoke while moving to the enemy.

Now I need some for the moon druid, divination wizard, and deep stalker ranger. Ideas?
>>
>>51312510
yeah, if it means anything to you I think you're better at at least designing colleges than the weekly UA bloat machine. I don't even know what they were thinking with some of the 3rd level shit they allow.
>>
Any decent 5e homebrew sites out there?
>>
Where do you guys get your dice? Need a 6 sets.
>>
>>51312829

I'm honestly not sure what they were thinking with the weekly UA. I'm happy to see things like the Artificer, but there's a definite decline in polish when they started releasing up to three class options weekly.

>>51312840
See >>51312510
>>
>>51312840
dndwiki
>>
Anyone know who is the deity of whom the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind belongs to?

I understand the Raven Queen is popular right now, but I can't find her entry on SCAG (nor do I find any hints on the identity of the amber temple god for that matter)
>>
Quick /tg/
What is your favorite kind of downtime event?

What kind of downtime event would you like to have during a winter festival?
>>
>>51312453
Japanese people definitely didn't forget it.
Nor did 4E DnD developers.

Only garbage did.
>>
>>51312884
Not sure shilling your own site counts.

>>51312886
>decent
Not trash that should be repeatedly burned.
>>
>>51312947
Town-wide snowball fight.

It's all fun and games until the wizard casts Snilloc's Snowball Swarm.
>>
Which ability would power a Green Lantern power ring?

I'm thinking CHA.
>>
>>51312920
Back when Ravenloft was created, it was a holy symbol of the Church of Andral, a sun god worshipped by the denizens of the world from which Strahd hailed.

That's pretty much all we know about them; they were a fairly standard Good-aligned Sun God, although presumably the Morninglord faith (which is basically slightly tweaked Lathander worship) from Ravenloft D20 is fairly close to Andral in spirit.
>>
>>51312877
Buy from your local FLGS or Amazon if you live in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>51312920
I believe the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind relates to the original gods of Ravenloft, before the Dark Powers were lured there by Strahd's desire. There are names for them, but I think there are only two deities worshiped in Ravenloft by the time Curse of Strahd occurs. I think the names are given but I don't remember where in the book.
>>
File: no you xanadidn't.gif (54KB, 363x285px) Image search: [Google]
no you xanadidn't.gif
54KB, 363x285px
>>51312978
>Not sure shilling your own site counts.

Fair point. I only played the shill card because I literally just posted that.
>>
>>51312999
Do I just type in "DnD dice set"? Just trying to buy a non shit sets.
>>
>>51312987
I was thinking something like this. Like some kids start it.
Then the town guard joins in.
And it literally snowballs.
>>
>>51312997
Charisma probably, cause they say it's a force of will, as it is your inner self gaining manifestation through creativity. And creativity lies in a charisma check most likely if I had to pick one.
>>
>>51313020
Actually yes.
That's pretty much it.
>>
>>51313023

The whole thing culminates with a portal to the Elemental Plane of Cold being ripped open, and the party having to team up with the town guard to fight invading snow golems in an avalanche.
>>
>>51313020
Cheesex is a fine brand that everyone gets. Has cool and or simple color schemes, simplest are cheapest.

If you want to get the turbo nerd set, gamescience boasts their dice are better at being random than chessex and has a research they did backing it up. But players don't care about true random enough for anyone to care. In my opinion mostly random is random enough.
>>
Hey guys.

Looking for advice/help with my a small area + dungeon for my party. Would people rather a link to the document I've been working on or just a summary?

I used a document to answer the following questions:
Who originally built the dungeon and what was its purpose?

What happened to the original inhabitants?

Who currently occupies the location?

What is the dungeons effects on the local environment?
>>
>>51313066
DM pls.
It's a goddamn downtime event.
Not a plot hook.
>>
>>51313076
Just summarize it nerd.
>>
>>51312998

Holy shit, this reminds me, what if my players decide to use the Corpse Star's gift to ressurect St Andraal?
>>
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

No UA next week.
>>
in the olde' times, would windows be thicker than todays windows? some people in my group are arguing about it. some say that it was harder to make thin windows and it was harder to transport and easier to destroy, meaning people had thick windows(the ones that could afford it). others argue that that would just make them more expensive and since even romans could make thin glass bowls and vases so should thin window panes not be an issue

this is all regarding being able to shoot an arrow through it and how much force is lost
>>
>>51312743
This looks really good to me. Fun and flavorful. Lots of utility
>>
>>51313168
Ask your DM.
If you are the DM, decide what you like best and simply say the glassblowers decide to make it thinner/thicker because they want to and that's it.
>>
>>51313149

A high level cleric with a walking Hallow spell on him.

Kind of a big nuke, but that's what Zhun is there for
>>
>>51313168
For realization, glass will put an arrow off course enough where it probably won't matter.

For game wise where magic and bullshit exists, increase the AC, cause it's a more difficult shot cause you would have to hit it perfectly with a ton of force. Give them half cover.
>>
>>51313260

Actually, according to Mearls or Crawford, a glass window still counts as full cover
>>
Anons? Long story short, I want to make new Genasi subraces inspired by the Dread Elementals of Ravenloft, and I could use some advice on racial features that might be flavorful for them.

For the unfamiliar, Dread Elementals are bog-standard elementals who have been corrupted by the raw EEEVIL saturating the Demiplane of Dread, giving them creepy new appearances and powers.

Pyre Elementals are corrupted fire elementals who have the unique powers of Burn (put somebody on fire with their fiery Slam attacks) and Dance of Death (animate dead with a touch; creates a burning zombie/skeleton that attacks everyone except the elemental at random, does bonus fire damage with its attacks, and burns away 1d3 of its own HP per turn until destroyed).

Blood Elementals are corrupted water elementals whose Blood Drain lets them inflict temporary Con damage with their slam attacks. They also have the Drench and Engulf special traits, but I think those were native to water elementals too in 3e?

Mist Elementals are corrupted air elementals who have the Infuse Evil (force an alignment change to Neutral Evil with a grapple) ability.

Grave Elementals are corrupted earth elementals whose "Sink" power lets them, once per hour, summon a bunch of skeletal arms that drag a victim under the ground.
>>
>>51313168
>>51313296
Your question has been answered.
>>
File: avatar gunship.jpg (190KB, 1500x832px) Image search: [Google]
190KB, 1500x832px
>>51313296
For Mearls being such a raging faggot, I'm surprised he took that stance.
>>
>>51308568

Don't forget wood elves basically get a free charm animal spell. Don't need a +1 with bows, just give them Elven Weapon Proficiency
>>
Updated, fixed version here.

Already ate up enough of the thread with my content, will be on my way (unless something else is hilariously broken).
>>
>>51313085
Gotcha, fampai.

Here is the quick and dirty break down-

Long ass time ago, a small village becomes friends with some Wood Elves. Even adopt their gods and shit. Make a real comfy cathedral to the Goddess of Fertility & Harvest, and things are cool for awhile. Cept not really, cause the land is pretty fucked up, and it doesn't take particularly long for the cathedral to go corrupt and cult like.

War between the human nation and wood elf nation breaks out. Human nation realizes this hodunk little human town is supporting the elves so they tell them to cut that shit out or get crushed. Farmer town says fuck you, we like our goddess. Get obliterated.

Time passes. All sorts of stuff tries to set up shop in the cathedral or ruins of the village but it never lasts long as they die or run away. Everything from bandits to mad wizards. They end up leaving quite a fortune behind over time. Eventually an order of paladins show up and take over the Cathedral and do a good job of cleaning it up. Except the local bad guy realizes some do gooders have set up camp after they start cleaning the area up. So he slaughters the shit out of them, reups the dark stuff inside, and curses everything.

Now a little fey lordling has taken up shop in the cathedral. His connection to death and winter has warped the area around the cathedral to start resembling the feywilds (unseelie specifically). Vampire guy doesn't care, and finds him kind of amusing.

What is some fun crap around the cathedral, and inside of it?
>>
>>51310143

Should definitely work more like a taunt, and have a wis saving throw.
>>
>>51313542
QUESTION:

Why does everyone in the whole universe care so much about this cathedral?
>>
>>51313582

I don't think it is that out of place that a heavily fortified building like a cathedral in the woods would make a great hide out for bandits, and weird wizards. The region is fairly isolated, so over the last two hundred years a variety of things have tried to claim it.

The fey is there cause the temple now has a connection to death, and an innate magical aura. The misery the building emits makes him giddy.

The paladins wanted to purge it cause it is a fucking cathedral, and regardless of what god the temple was dedicated, it shouldn't be infested with evil crap.
>>
Does fighter/bladelock synergize well? Making a level 6 tiefling and wanted to gish. I'm thinking of fighter2/fiend warlock 4. Also what fighter subclass should I go for?
>>
>>51313668
It doesn't synergize well - it's compulsy. If you do not do this, you are not a bladelock, you are a guy who likes to throw himself onto swords to keep the sword from stabbing his allies because the sword is already stuck in your gut.

You take a level of fighter and then rest of the levels in warlock.
That doesn't make it good, it just makes it actually vaguely playable.
>>
>>51313636
This has nothing to do with anything, but what if it was a cathedral dedicated to evil crap?
>>
>>51313668

Well, if you simply must combine it that way, I suppose that way is better than ought

Eldritch Knight is a likely good combination. Gives you more spells, familiar and a couple of L1 slots to blow on featherfall and shield
>>
>>51311740
where's the animate dead ability mentioned in the fluff text?
>>
>>51313691
That is what it morphed into over time. It wasn't intended to be at creation, but within a generation, that is basically what it became.
>>
>>51313715

Animate Dead is an option available as part of Grim Requiem, but it's never explicitly listed.
>>
also how do I get rid of bagpipes of invisibility without being an asshole? I gave them funny gag items...

but I have a drunk artificer who uses it at all times, and it's getting annoying that no matter what we are doing, he's playing bagpipes of invisibility. He's tried to use it in combat a few times to sneak attack, but I tell him it's the bag pipes are large and you have to pull out your weapon and aim.

secondly.. this character talks like rick in which he's always drunk and burps sometimes mid sentence. Should I impose some kind of penalty on his character for being drunk all the time? like - passive perception.

I had the party talk this powerful mage in a city and he kept fucking playing it, I was tempted to have the mage cast a spell that would kill him but I don't want to fuck him, I want him to stop being so irritating.
>>
>>51313742
>mage kill him

Are you uncreative? The wizard could just cast a spell to mute them or something. Some sort of curse where they can't talk or play pipes until they get the curse removed.

I'd say to be careful of giving everybody magic items, but I don't think that's the problem there because the magic items are more fun tools than anything and that's okay.

Does sound like the player is just obnoxious though.
>>
>>51307824
Should do more damage on hit.
Should do damage on removal.
Should have a minimum travel distance, like 10ft. if you get hit, you get knocked back that 10 feet. If a wall or other obstacle gets in the way you are pinned to it.
Ammunition should not be destroyed (it is essentially throwing a sword at someone)
Con save to not fall prone when hit.
Str check to remove from obstacle > Str check to remove from self
>>
>>51313785
I admit my frustration was getting a little to me. Every other sentence said in a party of 5 was bagpipes.
>>
File: whats.jpg (21KB, 660x503px) Image search: [Google]
whats.jpg
21KB, 660x503px
Apparently, in the PHB it lists a healing potion as costing 50GP. In the DMG however, it says that it costs 100GP to make a healing potion. Whats the deal with healing potions?
>>
>>51313808

make it in bulk?
>>
>dwarven fighter (STR 20) gets boots of striding and springing
>"I want to jump straight up 20 feet and bring my waraxe down on the monster's head."

Now I thought this was pretty cool so I was going to let him add 1d6 damage to the attack if he could pass a Dex 12 check. He failed.

Is this balanced?
>>
>>51313878

Should be fine. You're having him attempt a DEX check to get 3.5 median damage, because he did a cool thing.

If he spams it all the damn time, though, you might have to explain to him exactly what the rule of cool means.
>>
>>51313878
Anon, the question shouldn't be "is this balanced?" but rather "is this fun?"
>>
File: butitworks.png (161KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
butitworks.png
161KB, 500x488px
>>51313905
>Shadow Monk/Fighter in full plate
>l i t e r a l l y every round I teleport 60 feet above an enemy and crash into them with a warhammer
It's like when you're playing a musou or some kind of cuh-ray-zee game and find that one combo or attack that's just absurdly powerful or effective compared to the others and spam that over and over again.
>>
>>51313808
On what page? Making a healing potion should cost 25gp.
>>
>>51313878
That sort of things is best used as a situational thing. From now on for most situations it should probably just be a regular attack if they want to fluff it like that, but be prepared to give them bonuses depending on the situation.
For example, he might be able to attract the attention of a giant more than everyone else in the party for the fact he can jump in the giant's face and smack him around.
There might even be a good deal of damage if they jump from a ledge down at something.

For every single attack? No.
>>
>>51313997
If the party martial can find a way to disengage from the enemy, run up the stairs, swing from a chandelier, and drop on something's head every round, more power to him. I should probably have the enemies do something about his ability to do that, by either blocking his route, dropping that chandelier, or just moving the fight elsewhere.
>>
>>51307754
Goddam UA Rogue is good

Why are people saying UA ranger is good though? Whats different, I don't see it.
>>
>>51313987
I think the player who brought it to my attention misread and assumed it to be a magic item when im guessing it counts as a consumable.
>>
>>51313905
>>51313997
>>51313920
Thanks! This PC had always wanted to fight a manticore, so when one showed up and he happened to be behind the rest of the party, he wanted to leap over them and land right on the manticore. It was a lot of fun describing the ecstatic dwarf leaping over the heads of the party. Wish he could have stuck the landing.
>>
>>51313739
ack, thanks
this looks pretty good actually
>>
>>51314054
It counts as a common magic item, which has a cost of between 50 and 100 gp.

Even then, the prices table is not entirely accurate and only guidelines.
>>
File: dragonborn bard.jpg (60KB, 370x497px) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn bard.jpg
60KB, 370x497px
Sup /tg/

Playing a Dragonborn Valor Bard. So far everything is working out well, our group is now level 3.

How unreasonable would it be if I were to talk a smith into discounting/giving me a set of half plate and a broadsword? I'm pretty poor at this stage of the game, and my lack of armor is proving troublesome in melee.

Also, we just killed an incredibly tough Orc Sorcerer Warlord by blowing up a cave she teleported into and saved a lone survivor of a troupe being experimented on and tortured by the antagonists. I wrote a ballad (although kinda weak, first time writing lyrics) Would anyone care to help flush it out to make it easier to RP/sing to the group?

Our heroes a summer morning found a cave
Full of orcs, goblins; nasty knaves
We bashed their brains in
Blew their base up with a grin
For now its their eternal graves

The poor troup was spent
The living lass, a longbow lent
Fired as she may
Causing death and dismay
May the gods care for her all days

We blew their lair up sky high
The damp cave is now surely dry
An orc named One Tooth
Refused to tell the truth
So we bashed her face in where she lie.
>>
Anons! On a scale of "too powerful" to "OMFG the cheeze!", how overpowered is this homebrew race?

Tanarukk
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 20 Feet
Vision: Darkvision
Warrior Born and Bred: A tanarukk is automatically proficient with all Martial melee weapons.
Spawn of the Flames: A tanarukk is Resistant to Fire and can cast the Control Flames and Fire Bolt cantrips using Strength as its casting ability score.
>>
>>51307764
Just look at the existing ones for balance comparison and then make wacky stuff of equivalent power by slapping together templates and shit.
>>
>>51314230
tanarukk are also sensitive to light
>>
>>51314189
>persuading a working man to give up valuable materials that he's put days of work into
s m d h I hope your DM doesn't allow this, but he allows dragonborn PCs so obviously he doesn't care about realism. ask him for a pile of gold and his daughter while you're at it.
>>
>>51313668
Basically what you should be going for is getting the defenses that martials get and adding in the power of spell casting. Getting all your stuff back on a single short rest is good, but it really comes down to what you want to do more.

If you want to use your weapon more, more fighter points, to get extra attack, the maneuvers for defense and giving bonuses to teammates. Grab hex and you will be fine.

If you want to spell cast more, don't get more than 2 levels in fighter, cause the archetypes do not help with a cantrip machine. This only changes at level 7 for fighter, which lets you do your Two Eldritch blasts, them bonus action weapon attack, but we are now talking a level 8-10 character and planning for that is a wasted effort.
>>
File: Capture.png (349KB, 844x719px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
349KB, 844x719px
>Make a character
>Have their backstory and class levels all planned out
>Stuck deciding on a personality beyond typical Druid "muh plants" mentality

Ideas for a giant nature knight type guy?

Ripping off Reinhardt seems like it could be an interesting start since most of my characters are the overly serious kind, but I'd rather not just straight copy an existing character.
>>
>>51314365
Tall and silent like a great oak [druid name] stands resolute and imposing. Sticking true to his beliefs and unbudging for obstacles that dare fight against him, [druid name] speaks softly, and carries a very big shillelagh.
>>
>>51314365
He has realized civilization encroaches on the wilds because they are inefficient; their farming practices suck so they need more acreage to produce enough food, and they only need that much food to feed so many mouths because they breed out of control due to the low life expectancy of the peasantry.

He has set out to improve the lives of the smallfolk by teaching them crop rotations, advanced tilling and plant hybridization, and solving disease and malnutrition so that eventually people will stop having 10 fucking kids just so two of them can live to adulthood.
>okay so first you're gonna plant beans, then you're gonna plant corn, then you're gonna plant rye
>and lemme tell you about turnips and winter root crops
>also i'm gonna cast plant growth on all of your fields
>but if i catch you expanding your fields again i'm gonna cast lightning bolt on your fucking faces
>>
>>51314365
Start there. Make him a boisterous knight. In his youth, he went a questing into the wilderness, where he fell in love with a Fae and journeyed into her realm. Time rolls differently between planes and he returned to find the world has changed, a lot

A walking anachronism, he's big, jovial, he speaks out of fashion. He's on a quest for his Fairy Waifu, whose beauty and virtues he extolls at every opportunity like Don Quixotes Dulcinea.

or this >>51314417
>>
So, Occluded Mind basically gives you carte blanche to impose whatever status effect you want on an enemy.
>if they fail an Int save, they believe a 10-word statement for the next five minutes, but it must describe you, a creature, or an object they can see

What's some good shit you can do with this?
>your weapons are snakes and they're going to bite you
>i am [your boss]
>you're gay
>>
>>51312535
Gygax was an incompetent hack and everything anyone likes about D&D was made by someone else.
>>
File: Dante_4.png (333KB, 504x880px) Image search: [Google]
Dante_4.png
333KB, 504x880px
How would I make Dante in 5e?
>>
>Fog Cloud
>You know the enemy is inside it
>Sword Burst
Do they get disadvantage to avoid the blades or advantage because you don't know where they are?
>>
>>51314488
>NO WOMEN SHOULD HAVE LESS STRENGTH GYGAX WAS A HACK REEEE

Son, I think you should leave
>>
>>51314300

Not sure what your gripe is about realism - considering what D&D is.
>>
>>51314189
Things of that nature were usually made to order, but you could maybe, in light of your service to the area, work out a deal. Maybe you do a few favors for the Smith to make it worth his while - it gives the DM an opportunity to throw a sidequest or two at you, like escourting some materials to the town or removing a local monster issue, thereby freeing him up from some orders that were going directly to the local militia to deal with the problem

This is really something to ask your DM
>>
File: 3CBJkBA.jpg (69KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
3CBJkBA.jpg
69KB, 480x640px
How do I make Fire Emblem classes in 5e boys?

I get 90% of them are fighters, but still pls help
>>
>>51314587
Sounds like you answered your own question.
>>
File: dragonborn.jpg (60KB, 617x800px) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn.jpg
60KB, 617x800px
>>51314580

Sounds good, thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 1477616872549.jpg (386KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1477616872549.jpg
386KB, 2560x1440px
>>51314529
I wouldn't, as much as I love Devil May Cry. I wouldn't make any *insert fictional character here* in DnD, including characters you might think would fit like Conan.

Dungeons and Dragons is not conducive to playing anything but a specifically Dungeons and Dragons character that is noticeably subpar in some areas and decent in other areas working together with other characters, some of which are decent in the areas you're subpar in and subpar in the areas you're decent in. Whereas most fictional protagonists are at least decent in essentially every area.
>>
>>51314544
Disadvantage on save, cause the swords are obscured.
>>
>>51314607
But like, has anybody taken the time to make a pdf that converts them into 5e classes so I don't have to
>>
>>51314300
>but he allows dragonborn PCs so obviously he doesn't care about realism

You're like a hilarious caricature, so I can't tell if this post is serious or not.
>>
>>51314587
Specify classes/characters. You could do a lot.

>>51314529
Blade 'lock or Planar Defender Ranger
>>
>https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/5ozpwj/jeremy_crawford_on_targeting_spells/
>windowglass grants full cover
Bullshit.
>>
>>51314648
>he thinks you can shoot incorporeal flame, lightning, or a beam of cold air through a window
>>
>>51314296
Are you sure? I just checked my PDF of Races of Faerun, and it's kind of shit quality, but I don't see Sunlight Sensitivity on it anywhere.

So, what makes the Tanarukk so overpowered, folks?
>>
>>51314666
>my fireball can deal 12d6 damage but not smash through a pane of glass
>>
>>51314545
It's not exactly a controversial statement that Gygax made garbage that other people fixed. It's accepted truth, and saying LORD GYGAX SAID A THING SO YOU MUST Agree would be an appeal to authority fallacy even if it wasn't.
>>
>>51314682
fireball explicitly goes around corners
>>
>>51314669
the fact that they're part fiend uruk hai?

I'd remove the fire spells at least, idk why they would get spells. resistance makes sense.
>>
>>51314682
Yeah. The fireball is a rush of hot air. It's not a bomb going off. It deals 12d6 FIRE damage, not bludgeoning damage.

You're not one of those guys who argues with the DM that your fireball should totally turn the door into splinters, are you?
>>
>>51314693
True, Gygax isn't a god, but attempting to qualify your own fallacious inaccuracies with "w-well gygax said this and he's a hack so it must be true!" is a kind of bizzare appeal to authority reverse pyschology bluff
>>
>>51313537
You're a cool dude.
>>
>>51314644
I know that most are just fighters with like, drawbacks

Archers only get bows, mages are wizards but only get tome spells. It sounds kinda shit now that I type it out...
>>
So if you're doing a one level dip in Fighter for proficiencies there's pretty much no reason not to go Fighter 2 for Action Surge, yeah?
>>
>>51314702
Back in 3.5, ignoring the racial hit dice & free feats, Tanarukks had the following racial abilities:
* +4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -4 Cha
* Medium
* Base speed 20 feet
* Darkvision
* Fire Resistance 10
* Spell Resistance 14 + level
* +4 Natural Armor
* Proficiency with all martial weapons
* Bite attack
* Control Flames as a 5th level Sorcerer
* Orc Blood (Treat as Orc for race-restricted weapons & magic items)
* Native Outsider

So... yeah, you can see where I'm coming from, right?

This version I wrote is based on the 3.5e "orc-tiefling" Tanarukk, and not the monstrous demon-orc from Volo's Guide, which is a very different sort of take on the idea.
>>
>>51314799
If you really insist on going that route it'd be easy to make a Champion-esque Fighter Archetype that focuses on one weapon type.

For example, Longsword Fighter gets that one UA feat for swords free in addition to some other flavor things.
>>
>>51314813
You don't see how that shit might be OP?
>>
What are my options for seeing through Fog Cloud, preferably without spending a spell slot?

Faerie Fire seems like an option, but spends a (only level 1) slot to do so.

Going mostly Druid, I'd prefer to keep multiclassing to dips at most.
>>
>>51314851
+2 Str/+1 Dex, Fire Resist, Control Flames cantrip and Fire Bolt Cantrip, all in exchange for the slowest movement speed of any race in the game so far?

Gee, tell me why I might think that's overpowered!
>>
Anyone have a suggestion for a level 10 module? I'm about to finish my Red Hand of Doom campaign of two years and looking for something that feels like a good send off and final journey for the group.
>>
>>51314189
>How unreasonable would it be if I were to talk a smith into discounting/giving me a set of half plate and a broadsword?

You're a bard

That's the point.
>>
>>51314877
Wildshaping into something with blindsight, like a Giant Spider lets you use fog cloud then not have disadvantage.

Reckless attack from barbarian.

Hiding, as in using an action (or bonus action with rogue) to be in stealth from an enemy granting you advantage.
>>
>>51314884

Not him, but why would you think that's overpowered?

It's baseically a variant human with Fire Resist instead of a level 1 spell and less movement
>>
Rules question:

I'm casting a 1st level (or greater) spell as a bonus action
The enemy caster CounterSpells it.
I then proceed to cast a 1st level (or greater) spell with my action since the first one didn't actually go off

Is this right?
>>
>>51315169
Yup that's fine. They counter that spell and action use, but your standard action remains for a stronger spell.
>>
>>51312510
Yo, Walrock! I'm a huge fan!
I wanna ask if you'll ever add more to your fortress/merchant rules? Or if you consider them fully playable, as is.
>>
File: 1451221649296.jpg (232KB, 1920x1093px) Image search: [Google]
1451221649296.jpg
232KB, 1920x1093px
>>51313537
Your homebrew is phenomenal and I think most of us want to see more of your stuff around here or on your blog.
>>
>>51314877
Only blindsight or tremorsense should be able to see through the fog.

You will still know the whereabouts of anything inside the fog unless it attempts to hide.

>>51315108
Hiding won't help. It'll only conceal your position, and you're already unseen in the fog cloud and would already have advantage from being unseen (and also disadvantage for not being able to see)
>>
>>51314877
Have a familiar with blindsense.
>>
> PCs want to craft their own shit
> Refuses to hunt monsters or gather resources
> Constantly demands a high level wizard to help them without any reasonable compensation
> Sells monster loot/body parts that I said numerous times could be used for crafting material to give awesome buffs to armor
> Bitches that they don't have time to craft yet spend weeks on their ship doing nothing while sailing
> Whines that +1 armor costs more then what they had to pay in Pathfinder

What should I do /tg/? Should I just cave in and just let them basically go to fantasy wal mart to get their shit?
>>
>>51315364
No
Become a better teacher until they learn
>>
>>51315364
Give them cursed items.
Offer the ability to remove the curses via crafting.
>>
File: sleepsnugsmug.png (393KB, 789x685px) Image search: [Google]
sleepsnugsmug.png
393KB, 789x685px
>>51315364
Kill them.
Kill them all.
Go for the TPK.
This is how you win as a DM.
>>
Does the player handbook detail golem making? I can't seem to find the 5e rules.
>>
File: monhuns.png (63KB, 420x333px) Image search: [Google]
monhuns.png
63KB, 420x333px
>>51315364
Have another adventuring party completely festooned with arms and armor made out of monster bits, like they just teleported in from the fucking Monster Hunter dimension, bully them around.
>>
>>51315522
DMG has Manuals of Golem Creation as magical items.
>>
>>51307776

I wish I had known this when I was playing. Would have made great magic missile novas.
>>
File: theophilus-abdiel-final-2.jpg (221KB, 1920x889px) Image search: [Google]
theophilus-abdiel-final-2.jpg
221KB, 1920x889px
Walrock here.

>>51315236

Merchant/Stronghold rules are totally playable. I'll probably come out with a newer iteration of Stronghold rules to coincide with my next expansion, whenever that is, but it's a major project and requires a lot of time.

Last couple of times I tried to press through and get it done, I burned out, hard. Somewhere halfway through trying to make a farm economically viable in a high fantasy world, I just lost the will to do math.

>>51314781
>>51315296

Thanks, guys/gals. I'll try not to shill too hard, but I'd love to pitch you some future ideas as I'm working on them.
>>
>>51315571
Ah thanks man. Nothing about creating a golem as a spell? A weaker version of course.
>>
File: Robin_SSB4.png (1MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Robin_SSB4.png
1MB, 1500x1500px
How do I go about playing Robin from Fire Emblem? Is there even a class/multiclass mixture that plays similarly?
>>
>>51314620
I disagree. Class tiers aside, as long as someone makes congestion in ability it is quite fun to make a character out of fiction in dnd. They even used to station old school heroes as such.
>>
>>51315741
Bladesinger would be the closest I know
>>
>>51315417
That's the thing, so far I got 2 power gamers demanding and whining about it, 1 that just wants loot to murder shit better, and 2 that don't make a fuss about it and just hoarding their own crafting shit.

They also thought going to a poor as fuck asteroid town would have loads of +1 and +2 gear.

>>51315437
I think they'd quit if I do that.

>>51315465
I came close to several times but the ranger keeps saving their asses.

>>51315532
I might do this.

Thing is, the party is specked out to murder fuck nearly anything for a single battle and I know they'll just try to kill them and take their shit.

On an unrelated note, one of my PCs wants to be a warlock of Cthulhu and told me not to fuck him over since he knows only the stereotypes about Lovecraftian horror.

How hard should I fuck him?
>>
>>51315741

Champion Fighter 11/Abjurer Wizard 9
>>
>>51315772
Not him, but I think there's a limit on that. Statting Robin Hood? Sure. Statting Archer from Fate/Stay Night? Doesn't fit into a PC class, but you could stat him as an enemy.
>>
>>51315800
>How hard should I fuck him over
Anal reaming without lube.
>>
>>51315800
Do the stereotypes not include all of the insanity stuff? Fuck his shit.
>>
>>51315837
Ignoring power level, I'm pretty sure anybody can be made into a pc
>>
>>51315872
If you ignore Goku's powerlevel, he's not Goku anymore. The fucker was deflecting bullets with his skin before he was 10.
>>
>>51315800
Combine all 4

MH party doesn't have to be near their level, so TPK away. In the event that they do happen to kill one of them, everything is cursed by the souls of the monsters they had slain.

In any case, they'll learn soon enough about that MH crafting.
>>
>>51315891
That seems doable.

Which is hilarious, since I mentioned the MH crafting shit since the beginning of the campaign of 3/5 of the party was on board.

So far only the ranger is interested in doing it.
>>
>>51315829
>everyone is level 20
>>
>>51315800
They haven't stopped playing PF, they're still thinking like shit and acting like shit. You need to wipe their shit and get them acting in a different mindset, unless you want to go back to running PF and you probably don't want that.

What are you going to do with power gamers in 5e?
>>
>>51315906
Also, don't ignore the benefits of explicitly stating your intentions. Have a crafter tell them "I'll need some raw materials to make this. Gather them from the monsters and things outside"

And if that fails, which is entirely plausible, just tell them to quit being stupid.
>>
>>51315909

Man don't gimme that shit. That's the same fuckin' argument I always use. I just stated a guideline, not a fuckin' "oh I got 4 attacks all the time I'm the Fighter I'm so cool" argument. Cut me some fuckin' slack here.
>>
so my kobold fighter just got a ring of evasion, does the ring interact how I think it does with shield master feat? can i just say "nope, i make the save with my charge" and then take no damage because shield?
>>
>>51315929
I try and all they do is begin to whine and try looking up overpowered combos saying I'm a bad DM for not making it easier to get magical weapons and gear at LV6.

So far half of the party has magical gear, potions, scrolls of high level shit and yet they want more. I constantly make sure to give them random loot from the correct CR tables and even give them extra EXP based on what they do and think in combat.

>>51315947
I flat out told them last session and the power gamers and the fighter got pissed since they don't wanna craft and just wanna buy shit.
>>
File: 1484853716529.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1484853716529.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>51315837
>Archer
Bladelock with Eldritch B̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ Sword that deals 1d10 slashing damage and leaves longswords behind equal to the amount of beams fired, that linger for 1d4 hours
Or Arcane Archer with Create Magic Sword
Editor's note: the only thing I know about FSN is something something bones and swords
>>
>>51315990
They're actually lucky you're running a game for their whinging asses. They honestly don't deserve anything.
>>
>>51315837
Archer could be done decently well as a Bladelock or as a refluffed Bladesinger
>>
>>51315990
Oh man, power gamers are easy as fuck to bait. They want magical doodads? Go for it. Make some crazy ass rumors about a magical item(s) and then stick it in a dungeon. They'll be balls deep in that place before anyone cracks their second soda. When they find it, maybe it's a little different from the rumors, but they'll still be happy.
>>
File: 1416363735835.png (222KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1416363735835.png
222KB, 500x500px
>>51314799
I had planned on doing a supplement just for doing this in 5e but stopped since I figured ther wouldn't be interest. I could still do it it over the weekend if you wanted

Essentially, each FE class had options as to what base class you pick. We'll use the Myrmidon for an example. You could be a Fighter to focus on bulk and numerous attacks or a Rogue for that one critical blow. From there, archetypes were preference, but some were restricted based on overall class theme. The same Myrmidon wouldn't have access to EK or AT for example as the original class wasn't magical

Every class was restricted to similar weapons of the same type (Myrmidons get daggers, shortswords, scimitars, longsword for example) and light armor at most. To make up for losing so many proficiencies, every character got a "lesser" feat and a "greater" feat

Going back to the Myrmidon, a starting Myrmidon would receive Alert at level 1, then Blade Mastery at level 5. Players can then use their normal ASIs to customize it from there while still retaining the Myrmidon/Swordmaster's core skills

It might sound like shit but it was in the early phases. I wouldn't mind completing it if there's interest in it though
>>
File: dndsprites.png (151KB, 688x738px) Image search: [Google]
dndsprites.png
151KB, 688x738px
>>51316059
Are you going to make sweet FE sprites for your campaign
>>
>>51315772
>>51315872
Using his example of Conan, Conan would require either the GM to allow a ludicrously high array/point buy, or to roll ridiculously good stats.

I agree that the majority of protagonists would probably be too good in every area. Conan has incredible strength and stamina, is highly agile and frequently described as moving like a panther, is very cunning and intelligent and a skilled strategist, and is a born leader of men and at least decently charismatic in general.

Most protagonists have flaws more in personality and circumstance than not being good in every basic realm of ability.
>>
>>51316058
>"Yo, so there's totally this unique and amazing sword that killed like, 200 orcs."
>"You enter the room and find it littered with large bones and Orc skulls".
>"Underneath some rubble, you find a rusty, mundane shortsword next ot a pair of underpants with the name 'Billy' written on them in permanent marker."
>>
File: 1470892203006.png (69KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
1470892203006.png
69KB, 250x391px
>>51316085
My group's interest in FE is passing, although they do enjoy the Fire Emblem system I made, which is mostly a port of the original game mechanics altered for tabletop use.

That being said, I'd love to run a FE game in 5e proper with artwork for each character in the Tellius style. Narrowing a player's options into rigid roles like the source games is iffy though. That's why I was working on some sort of compromise like my past example
>>
>>51316059
I would love you so much if you did this
>>
>>51315890
I belive he continues to be so. Goku is more than his power level, anon.

Looking at his abilities and mannerisms then we can distill what is means to be goku, a carefree creature of great physical prowess, that can shoot ki. A low wisdom sun monk fits the bill in my eyes.
>>
File: 1416363822237.jpg (47KB, 421x419px) Image search: [Google]
1416363822237.jpg
47KB, 421x419px
>>51316169
I can work on it over the weekend, although I won't get shit done tomorrow because that's our game day. If you're really eager to get your hands on it without having to prowl /5eg/ for a few days I could add you on Skype.
>>
>>51316103
Conan was already stated. He might have to a higher level than 1 to be all of what Conan is, but a combination of fighter, rogue and barb would be fine as a stand in. Remember any statime above 10 is already exceotional.
>>
File: ConanStats.gif (20KB, 862x366px) Image search: [Google]
ConanStats.gif
20KB, 862x366px
>>51316103
Gygax stating conan
>>
Hey guys newish DM here how should I determine how much gold the party should get? Not really acquainted with the gear portion of the game yet really. Just a point to the right direction to find the info is fine.
>>
has anyone done a campaign in a bioshock infinite setting? was thinking about making a campaign based in that setting
>>
Anons? I want to convert a bunch of spells from 4e and some more obscure sourcebooks to 5e, but even with the DMG to refer to, I really don't know shit about the process. How incredibly overpowered does this look?

Dire Radiance
Evocation Cantrip
Warlock
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 120 feet
Components: S, V
Duration: Instantaneous

You create a baleful star above a foe, which bathes them in excruciating starlight that only grows more intense if they come closer. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1D10 Radiant Damage.
This spell's damage increases by 1D10 at levels 5 (2D10), 11 (3D10) and 17 (4D10).
If the target moves closer to the caster before the end of the caster’s next turn, the target automatically take another hit's worth of damage from this spell.
>>
>>51316674
Yeah at most that should be 1d6
>>
>>51316674
I'd probably lower the damage die by one size (to a d8).

Second half should probably be something like, "If the target moves closer to the caster before the beginning of the caster's next turn, as a reaction the caster may make another spell attack with the star."
>>
File: 128493-radiant-fist-path.jpg (43KB, 550x829px) Image search: [Google]
128493-radiant-fist-path.jpg
43KB, 550x829px
N E W B R E A D
>>51316762
>>51316762
>>51316762

>>51316762
>>
>>51316713
>>51316738
I honestly thought that D10 was a bit powerful myself, but the DMG recommended D10s for its cantrips. D8s and costing a reaction to make the bonus strike sounds fair to me.

Any other problems with it?
>>
>>51316779
To my knowledge, the only cantrips that do a d10 in 5e are Eldritch Blast (ie., Warlock blaster skill) and Fire Bolt, which is an elemental damage type that is the most likely for a monster to be resistant/immune to.
>>
I miss 5e homebrew general.

Now all homebrews leak in here.
>>
>>51312877
Aliexpress. They take forever to arrive, but they are okay and extremely cheap. Try to get translucent ones so you can actually see which ones got those plastic bubbles inside that fuck up balance.
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.