[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 41

File: Yawning Portal.jpg (832KB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Yawning Portal.jpg
832KB, 1920x1160px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread >>51164369 (Cross-thread)

Since D&D will likely be releasing a rules expansion later this year, what other rules would you want them to add? Obviously more class features and options are a given, but what other things do you wish there were rules (or better rules) for?

Are you excited for Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
OP, why you so mad tho?
>>
what happened
>>
More combat option.
More price list for building and land.
More price list for food and livestock.
A rule for gambling game like gwent.
>>
>>51176863
Half the thread thus far was bitching about preferred pronouns rather than actual D&D stuff. Good riddance I say.
>>
>>51176863
We didn't respect OPs preferred pronouns. We're literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>51176863
Thread got deleted or pruned, who cares
>>
>>51176898
>tfw my question was eaten by /pol/
thanks guys
>>
>>51176915
What was your question?
>>
>>51176915
What was your question anon?
>>
>>51176898
The original post was actually fine.
Someone else kept it going.

To the anon with the hospital story, I teared up.
>>
>>51176915
You the storm paladin?
>>
>>51176915
If you were the storm pally you fucked up with your metamagic.

See if your DM will let you trade distant for quicken? Buy him a beer or something.
It's your first time playing right? How often did you actually ever use that meta magic?
>>
>>51176930
>>51176926
I'm just wondering what a good utility class or build would be for LMoP. I usually play boring-ass Fighters and McGyver my way through every situation, so I'd like to try another tack for a change. I'd prefer to stay away from pure casters.

Is LMoP heavy on social interaction, traps and environmental shit, or combat?
>>
>>51176942
Nope, that's me. I was thinking about Thunderous Smite, but I don't like the fact that it's eats up a whole spell slot for a single bit of burst damage.
>>
File: I can't laugh at this.jpg (18KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
I can't laugh at this.jpg
18KB, 276x276px
>>51176959
Only once, and that was in the first month of playing. We've been playing for over a year now (long time I know) and he already let me switch it out for twinned a few months ago, which I original had as subtle spell. I fucked up.
>>
>>51176964
Consider Rogue? Alternatively, if your DM allows UA, try out an Alchemist Artificer from the newest one.
>>
>>51176965
None of the _____ Smite spells are worth casting. It's better to save your spell to convert into a Divine Smite whenever you're autoattacking and land a crit or something.
>>
>>51176965
Don't forget you get to SHOCK ENEMIES within 10 feet when you deal thunder or lightning damage, man. Make use of that shit.
>>
>>51176965
Burst damage is paladin job though.
>>
I have a question 5e general, I want to empower an Aboleth as a campaign boss, I was considering turning it into a spell caster, but I'm unsure what kind of table of spells to give it. I'm thinking around 15 cr
>>
>>51176985
For a whopping 3 damage. Granted, it is AoE and somewhat decent range, so it's better than Earth Tremor.
Which I also took and have regretted immensely.
>>
>>51176977
Weew fucking lad.
You sure did. Just be the party tank and use shield when you get hit.

You do have shield right? I fucking swear anon.
>>
>>51176977
Subtle spell was great dude...
Subtle counterspell everything..

Why are you posting a CHAR though?
>>
What is the best Feat for Dex based fighters?
>>
>>51176977
Just pretend like you don't have Distance Spell. 90% of the time the DM won't notice.

Otherwise, start cheesing the shit out of it. Pick up Spell Sniper and start firing Searing Rays from the other side of a football field.
>>
>>51176994
you could treat them like a Hag Coven and make them gain spellcasting through grouping
>>
Someone give me a quick rundown of the adventures being brought back in TftYP. Some anon said in a previous thread that all of the adventures are shit, but maybe he was wrong?
>>
What are your thoughts on the various Unearthed Arcana that have been released?

The only one I've taken the time to look at is the Paladin UA and while the Conqueror seems underwhelming, the Blackguard seems fantastically fun.

Are they all like that or what?
>>
>>51177005
I took mage armor instead.
I started with 12 DEX.
>>
>>51176995
Exactly, it's AoE. It would be better... if you were quickening your spells.
>>
>>51177005
But does he has warcaster feat?

>>51177009
ASI
>>
>>51177009
+2 Dex
>>
File: chargenderirrel.jpg (119KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
chargenderirrel.jpg
119KB, 960x720px
>>51177007
Not him, but
>implying there's ever a wrong time to post a CHAR
>>
>>51177020
Honestly. Fuck you.
>>
>>51177014
> initially read that as groping
What is wrong with me
>>
>>51177043
I'm sorry, anon. I was new to the game. I was still learning.
>>
>>51177024
>But does he has warcaster feat?

I doubt it. I'm guessing he took medium armor master or some shit.
>>
>>51177017
All of them are famous for LOL TPK.
The thing is... it isn't hard to make a dungeon that work against player....
>>
>>51177014
>them
>a singular aboleth

I just want one, I was kinda thinking maybe a slightly weaker spell table of a lich
>>
>>51177058
Actually, I did, at the behest of my DM, since I wanted to be a slightly more aggressive sorcerer.
>>
>>51177057
It's okay. I'm just trying to cope with this shit.

What made you say "let's become a paladin!"?
When you level up and learn a new sorc spell you can change mage armor to shield. You know that right?
>>
Are the crafting rules from "5e Reforged" any good? I'm loving the basic rules of 5e in play but the absolute nothing that covers creating mundane items is disappointing and the Artificer dropping without a hint of such rules beyond creating their own magical items has pushed me to search out a functional supplemental system for it.
>>
>>51177020
All the more reason to wear actual armor and shield.
>>
>>51177080
alright, now I think you're just trolling.
>>
>>51177084
>Dawnforged cast
kill yourself.
>>
>>51177082
I know about swapping spells, but I swapped out many months ago, before I learned more about the game, and by the time I realized how good shield was I was already dipped into Paladin.
I switched to Paladin for the survivability. I had no DEX, and mostly close range spells. I needed some survivability, so I went fighter for a while for the proficiencies. They helped out immensely.

>>51177095
I'm not a clever man, anon. I wanted to make a "muscle Wizard" type character in the beginning. That did not go as planned at all after the first couple of sessions.
>>
>>51177108
>>51177114

well dawnforged's way is clearly the best way
>>
Can you just... kill or retire your multiclass abomination character and put him out of his misery?
>>
File: dareyouentermymagicalelf.png (73KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
dareyouentermymagicalelf.png
73KB, 208x250px
>>51177044
I hear it's been in the news lately.
>>
>>51177119
I meant Paladin, not Fighter. Damn.
>>
>>51177132
I'd just tell your DM that you feel like you're not having fun with the character you've made.

Agree to have him retire and take all his stuff with him. So that your new character comes in with no benefit of the old character's life.
>>
>>51177119
>>51177132
Just ask your DM to reroll your class into favored soul sorcerer. Give him a blowjob if you have to.
>>
>>51176995
You're a Sorcerer, you can swap that stuff out.
>>
>>51177176
Only when he level up as sorcerer and not paladin.
>>
>>51177176
I will be swapping it out as soon as we hit 12, when I reach Sorc 7. Switching it out for some Haste and learning Storm Sphere as well.
>>
>>51177119
>I'm not a clever man, anon. I wanted to make a "muscle Wizard" type character in the beginning. That did not go as planned at all after the first couple of sessions.

>try to make a muscle wizard meme man
>surprised when it doesn't go well
>>
So I've never played 5e. How do I find a group online?
>>
>>51177205
But anon.. 8 INT Mountain Dwarf muscle Wizard is a thing in 5e.
>>
>>51177218
Yeah, but he's a sorcerer.
So he even fucked that up.
>>
>>51177198
Shows what I know, I've been playing for less time and only for two sessions.
And our last one was in November and the DM stopped. Hold me.
>>
>>51177214
Here in groupfinder, /r/lfg, roll20, but they're all shit.
>>
>>51177084
Magic items from the DMG are direct upgrades, like class abiilties.

That's why it's a part of class progression rather than there being rules for artificers making magic items.

Letting people make magic items is like letting people train for additional class features.
>>
>>51177246
I will hold your hand if all the other anons aren't watching.

But since they are.. I will just call you a faggot instead.
>>
>>51177119
your waifu is leaving you and senpai will never notice
>>
File: HEYYY.jpg (58KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
HEYYY.jpg
58KB, 960x540px
>>51176994
>>51177068
Anything that targets Wisdom and/or Int saves. Like, throw a Mass Suggestion at them and order them to take communion by walking into the pool of that aboleth slime that turns you into a deep one. Maybe stuff like Hallucinatory Terrain, make shit as Far Realm-y as possible. Charms, stuff like that, anything mind-fucky works, really.
Arms of Hadar, Hunger of Hadar
Tidal Wave, Watery Sphere.
But that's a handful of concentrations, so you might only pick a few.
>>
>>51177264
You literally can train for extra stuff though. The DMG explicitly names skill proficiencies and feats.
>>
>>51177108
The guy being a selfimportant twat doesn't mean that I can't make use of his material.
>>
>>51176847
More
>Feats
>Fighting styles

I'd like some options for unarmed fighters. Three things:
>tool up Tavern Brawler to be a little stronger
>Fighting Style that caters to not using weapons
>Barbarian specialization for being the punchiest dude that ever punched

Suggestion for Fighter Style that would make unarmed fighting viable (especially if paired with Tavern Brawler)
>unarmed attacks count as simple weapons
>unarmed attacks add 1d4 damage, choose bludgeoning/piercing/slashing as damage type
>you may, as a reaction after being attacked, make one unarmed attack

The third point (and choosing damage) might be a bit much, but the first two points allow a punch to be like a club and also trigger "when you attack with a weapon" conditions (so it works really well with Battlemaster).

I would say in general, picking different battlemaster options allows you to basically "make" a martial arts style via the effects you can trigger (so boxing vs jujitsu vs krav).

Feedback welcome.
>>
>>51177383
I don't have DMG on hand atm. But isn't training rule can only give you tool proficiency?
>>
>>51177383
>do training
>get +1 AC and +1 to all saves permanently
I seriously doubt your DM will let you do that. You're more likely to just get skill proficiencies or such.
>>
What are some good legendary actions for a paladin of vengeance encounter?
>>
>>51177453
It honestly is up to the GM what it can give you. One of my GMs let me have Eldritch Blast with Agonising Blast on my bard in exchange for a "demon pact bond", my other GM wouldn't let me have proficiency in history even if I sold my soul to the high devil of libraries and spent a decade of downtime studying at a university.
>>
File: shame cube acsii.gif (1MB, 320x227px) Image search: [Google]
shame cube acsii.gif
1MB, 320x227px
>>51177494
>Legendary action: Sob that your party abandoned you for being such a lone faggot and not taking one of the oaths that provides cool auras or being an oathbreaker which would make you better at being a loner
In other news, fuck oathbreaker.
>>
>>51177483
1. You need a trainer. A good DM will have it as a quest reward. (For example, in the dragon hoard you rescue a master crossbowman who offers training in Crossbow Expert, or a renowned paladin who will teach you medium armour proficiency)
2. There's a price. Learning a spell might involve making a pact with a hag, or selling part of your soul. That powerful wizard isn't going to let you copy his level 7 spell for free.
>>
Does a Paladin's power come from a God or from Within? The PHB seems to indicate it is a little bit of both. I am confused.
>>
>>51177515
>>51177453
"It's in other reward". It like a favor or a land dred. You can't normally just go find them, but you get the training as a super duper special reward from helping a powerful wizard or ex-advrnturet and stuff like that, instead of a plain old and boring magic item.
>>
>>51177494
>Legendary Action: Move up to [half speed] towards creature under Oath of Enmity, make an attack.
>>
>>51177515
> demon pact bound
That is literally taking a level in Warlock. Your character level should reflect as such.
>>
>>51177592
Even then, the DM might not allow you the 'tough' feat or the benefits of certain magic items (such as a +2 magical weapon'. Compared to having flexible rules to make whatever items you want, the DM has the say there and prevents you from just getting combat buffs and being a munchkin.
>>
>>51177607
Ultimately paladins are self empowered. Devotion paladins may devote themselves to a god, but their power is still their own, not granted by that god.
>>
>>51177630
Yeah, pretty much. All I asked for was Eldritch Blast, suggesting giving up some spell slots. He himself suggested I get it all for pretty much free but with a RP drawback.
>>
>>51177632
>>51177592
>>51177483
No. Training is DM reward to player. What kind of training you will get is up to DM.

He could have given you a cloak of protection or giving you training that do the same thing mechanically. It serve the same purpose.
>>
>>51177662
And that's exactly why there aren't rules for making magic items.

If you could just make them without DM input, it's like getting training without DM input.
>>
I want to make a witch hunter eldritch knight who collects the spellbook covers of the wizards he kills. I'm debating between having him use a greatsword so he can use great weapon master or a sword and shield so he can cast shield and get absurd AC. Any thoughts?
>>
>>51177687
Go two levels into wizard for bladesinger. Int to AC is sweet, and mage armour plus bladesong beats plate and a shield by far. That's before you burn emergency Shield casts for extra AC. 28 AC is possible, and then you throw in Mirror Image for good measure. Keep Absorb Elements prepared too, to get resistance to whatever the dragon is breathing at you.
>>
>>51177566
Uh...okay. Dude's an antagonist NPC. Fifty-something crazy guy on a personal crusade against scum and villainy
>>
>>51177650
>Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin's power comes from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god.

Just seems there is an indication of it being related to a god. Though if it is purely self empowered, that clears up alot of questions.
>>
>>51177625
I like it. Though the target will probably feel pretty fucking bummed out when he's getting nova'ed by this paladinboss.
>>
>>51177720
This is a character that I'm planning on playing to level 20 so missing out on the 4th attack for AC doesn't feel worth it to me. If anything I would go 12 Fighter 8 wizard
>>
>i posted a story about my college
>watch critical role
>come back and thread is deleted
>mu post apparently caused a tornado

wha... what did i do?

is there any way to view threads that have 404'd?
>>
File: le hitler knight maymeh.png (265KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
le hitler knight maymeh.png
265KB, 600x453px
>>51177687
>EK Fighter
>not Monster Hunter Fighter branching into Warpriest
>not casting silence and grappling the dirty spellcaster while your friends maul the faggot
>failing Wisdom checks, ever
>>51177720
>Go two levels into wizard for bladesinger.
>being dirty knife-eared scum
>acceptable for a true witch hunter
AWAY, AWAY
>>
Why does an oathbreaker paladin still have lay on hands? Why is the holy smite of an oathbreaker still radiant damage? On that note, does anyone else miss the positive/negative energy dynamic? If negative energy could still heal undead then it might make circle of death worth a damn at least.
>>
>>51177720
I doubt he will be ab elf or half-elf
>>
>>51177687
On a metagaming level, you've got two routes which split into different weapons.

Strength, and dexterity.

Strength -
GWM greatsword.
GWM+PAM quarterstaff+shield / halberd
SM rapier+shield.

Dexterity -
SS + CBM hand crossbow
No feats, Rapier+Shield, GFB+BB

So, you probably want to head up GWM greatsword (EK is mostly for casting 'shield' and maybe a couple of other things later) or rapier+shield (EK gives you booming blade, green flame blade and otherwise lets you cast things such as shield) unless you're looking for a multiclass such as into rogue or bladesinger.

>>51177780
Even if you play to level 20 (very unlikely unless you start at level 15 or something or big level skips) then it'll only be a fraction of your character's life time, and it's only one extra attack. If you go rapier+shield, you have GFB/BB to keep you comfort anyway, even if it's maybe not quite as good as 4 attacks, it's better than 3.
>>
>>51176994
Depending on what you actually want the aboleth to do, I'd recommend poking around in Lords of Madness. You probably won't want to directly use it, but there's an aboleth PrC that's split between improving the enslave ability and enhancing aboleth glyphs.
You could probably come up with some other themed applications for glyphs, since 'spell trap you trigger by seeing it' gets tedious REAL fast; Lords of Madness has a few examples.
Also Regdar dies a lot, and that's always funny.
>>
>>51177786
Some people got offended because you implied you didn't respect people's preferred pronouns.

Myself, I only indulge people's fantasy when I'm at the table.
>>
>>51177847
hilarious
>>
>>51177687
I played something very similar to this, a mage hunting eldritch knight.

I found great weapon more useful as well as it significantly raises the concentration DCs and is very brutal when combined with booming blade.
>>
>>51177720
>Witch hunter
>Dirty elf
choose one you heretic.
>>
>>51177792
That remind me... how do you shut down mystic? Silence wouldn't affect them.
>>
>>51177865
Great weapons doesn't have a lot of synergy with booming blade. Having a greatsword means every attack you lose to Booming Blade matters more, and if you want GWM's +10 damage then the -5 to hit will really hurt if you use it on booming blade's attack. War magic's attack is fine to use GWM's bonus on, though.

When your target's AC is high or you're at certain levels (Say, 7 to 10) it's better, however.
>>
>>51177908
Incapacitate them.
Something like blindness could work as well, although an awakened mind with psionic restoration would be able to remove that for 3 pp.
Obstruct their vision.
Create a shitload of illusions, maybe?
>>
>>51177908
An axe in their head usually works pretty well.
>>
>>51177847
got any screencap of the chaos?

also, are there THAT many tumblrinas on fucking /tg/ of all places?
>>
>>51177909
I found when using booming blade as an opportunity attack with great sword was absolutely brutal. But maybe im seeing through rose tinted glasses rather than mathematical averages.
>>
>>51177452
>but the first two points allow a punch to be like a club and also trigger "when you attack with a weapon" conditions (so it works really well with Battlemaster).
There is literally not one battlemaster maneuver that cannot be done with unarmed strikes right now. It would make US better for paladins, later on.
>>
>>51177792
Wow I hadn't seen the monster hunter UA, I think I'm going to go with this idea. It even has most of the mage slayer feat built into it.
In this posts honor I'm even going to name my character Garithos and speak pretentiously.
>>
>>51178108
>chaos
>in a 30 post thread
It was probably two guys saying "you're a faggot for being dicks to people at your table even if it was over stupid shit"
No one cares about the SJW-anti-SJW war
>>
>>51178117
That's not bad, but it's not much better than doing the same with a rapier. And you need warcaster, of course.

The deal is greatswords work best with great weapon master, but you can't utilitize great weapon master very well when you already have a bonus action and any attack you use booming blade on isn't worth giving +10 damage to, usually.

It's +2.5 damage per hit (when you only make either two or three hits a round without action surge) when you could focus on dexterity and have a shield instead.

So, at least speaking with numbers, I'd either say to stick greatsword, GWM And not use BB/GFB or to go rapier+shield and to use BB/GFB.
>>
What is the "standard" group makeup of classes.

What is the makeup you have personally encountered most frequently.
>>
>>51178108
Honestly it was less tumblrinas and more butthurt back and forth between /pol/ and lefty/pol/.
>>
>>51178174
it only lasted thirty posts? jesus, we got some sensitive mods watching us

and it wasnt even a dnd story, it was me in college wanting to tell people i play dnd
>>
>>51178108
There were people joking about saying their preferred pronoun would be "your grace" or something similar and at least one guy said anyone who didn't like transgenders should get with the times. Then the thread was taken over by an annoying off-topic argument.
>>
>>51178206
1 Bard + 1 Rogue + 1 Fighter + 1 Barbarian + 1 Warlock
>>
>>51178206
typically
1 fighter or monk
1 cleric or rogue
1 other caster (bard/wizard/sorcerer)
1 druid or barbarian

Almost always encounter this.

Although to be fair my current group is
Warlock, Bard, Fighter, Barbarian, Monk
>>
What counts in carry weight? Do equipped things like clothes and armor count?
>>
>>51178206
Usually on most of my groups there's always a Fighter, a Wizard and a Rogue. The last two slots are usually a combination of Druid, Paladin, Ranger or Bard.
>>
My group is headed to Sigil next session. What should I expect?
>>
>>51178008
Int saving throw and true sight doesn't bode well for illusion.

>>51178039
You now believing that your head is the mystic head.
>>
>>51178108

Yes, there really are. /tg/ is easily the worst board I go to.
>>
>>51178304
Doors.
>>
File: Mozgus.jpg (64KB, 400x330px) Image search: [Google]
Mozgus.jpg
64KB, 400x330px
>>51178133
I really like the way the subclass utilizes superiority dice for out-of-combat situations. There should be more stuff like that. Nothing like spending dem d8s to yell "UR LYING" at someone.
Alternatively, you could ask your DM to check out the Blood Hunter class from that critical role guy, it's very witch hunter-y as well, but a bit on the darker side. It's pretty much The Witcher meets Bloodborne.
Oh, also, if your DM allows you to roll for gold and buy starting equipment, ask if you could get the Monster Hunter Pack from Curse of Strahd. It has most things a witch hunter needs: crosses, stakes, holy water, mirrors etc. Later on you also might consider buying a mastiff for tracking disgusting abominations. Can't have a good hunt without dogs barking.
Gonna play a witch hunter character myself as well (and hopefully soon), pretty hyped desu.
>>
>>51178206
>Fighty class (Barb/Fighter/Paladin/Monk)
>Nature Class (Druid/Ranger/Sometimes Barb)
>Damage Caster class (Sorcerer/Wizard/Tempest or War Cleric)
>Support Class (Bard/Rogue/Other Cleric)

And occasionally you get a Warlock trying to fit one of the above and probably failing.
>>
>>51178206
Really depend on your area. Martials are really popular in my area and all my party compose of 70% martials (with me being the only fullcaster in 2 out of 3 campaign)
>>
>>51178275
Armor counts, technically clothing does as well but in practice people tend to ignore it unless you've got multiple sets of clothes, like if your character is hygienic or something.
>>
>>51178275
Armor and clothes do count. But usually you don't track those shits in 5e. It's a unnessessary book keeping

Just be reasonable and get a mule or bag of holding or hireling.
>>
>>51178350
> Wizard is damage class
> not support class
> no CC class
>>
If a thief uses it's Use Magic Device trait on a moonblade that doesnt want to serve him, does the thief still get the roll disadvantage rejection debuff? If he controls it with UMD, is a rune still added? Could two level 13 thieves just pass the sword to one another over and over again for infinite runes?
>>
what are some good magic items to give for low level
barb
cleric
ranger
and wizard?
>>
>>51178275
If your DM doesn't specify, likely doesn't matter unless you're being stupid.
If your DM specifies 15x strength capacity, doesn't matter unless you carry tonnes of shit or have 8 strength and heavy armour, in which case make sure to note down the weight of all the armour you're wearing and all that.
IF your DM specifies 5x strength capacity, get to the fucking bookwork and do as the others have said - if it's on you, it counts. Get a mule or something for out-of-combat supplies that you don't mind losing.
>>
>>51178370
My PC have 3 set of common clothes and a fine clothe. And he did have prestidigitation for cleaning.

Gotta dress up for the right oppotunity, you know?
>>
>>51178411
bag of devouring
armor of vulnerability
axe of the dwarvish lords
>>
>>51178399
Those are just how they tend to end up at my table. I have 3 players that like playing wizards, and they've all done difference traditions, but they end up playing them as half-cocked Evokers.
>>
File: 8483_ca25_500.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
8483_ca25_500.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>Relatively new to DM'ing
>Rely on players to fully read their abilities
>Understand what is a reaction, what is concentration, what their ranges are
>After the session do my own research
>They're completely wrong 90% of the time

One of them literally has little cards printed off, but told me the other week he just reads enough to get the gist of how his spells work.
>>
File: straid.png (25KB, 250x265px) Image search: [Google]
straid.png
25KB, 250x265px
>>51178399
>he supports
>as a wizard
FEEBLE CURSED ONE
>>
File: 6.jpg (249KB, 904x573px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
249KB, 904x573px
>>51177847
>Myself, I only indulge people's fantasy when I'm at the table.

Nice.
>>
How would you play a non party-toxic Oathbreaker, Conqueror, or Blackguard?
>>
>>51178403
Technically no, because you don't ignore personality restrictions or anything, not to mention alignment resitrctions.
However, I would say it should be allowed.
If the character isn't at odds with elvenkind and is not corrupt then technically it should work, I think.

You can't unattune it from the thief to pass it back and forth.
>>
File: Blade-Nep.jpg (329KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Blade-Nep.jpg
329KB, 1024x1024px
So how good is Life Cleric as support? I love playing as Medic/Healer/Support classes and have yet to play such a character in 5e. I am enjoying the Life Domain, but I want to know if there's any other classes that fit the Support style of playing.
>>
>>51177256
Is roll 20 the best option for online play? I've only ever played IRL, but may be playing a game for some old friends who have moved out of the state.
>>
>>51178432
anon, two of those are horrible
>>
>>51178461
Blackguard literally say that you are an paladin without oath. So you can play paladin who make up his own oath (maybe switch between the 3 in PHB) as he go?

No need to be edgey evil dude.
>>
>>51178445
You'd better get to reading harder.

5e isn't as simple as it seems, and the DM is almost always required to either have a rules monkey on hand or to be a rules monkey themself.
>>
>>51178403
I think that depends a lot on the DM's discretion. I'd rule that the rogue doesn't get disadvantage, because his feature prevents the blade from rejecting him, and that swapping blades can only produce a rune if it's a different character each time. Two thieves equals two masters, no matter how many times they trade.
>>
Would you consider all monk weapons finesse weapons for the purposes of defensive duelist feat?
>>
>>51178470
The Alchemist Artificer from the new UA, kind of. But you're gonna be significantly weaker than the life cleric, IMO.
Artificer Tradition Wizard from the older Eberron UA with Alchemy feat gets potions that restore 40hp guaranteed at lvl 5, but that may provoke your DM.
>>
>>51178472
Yeah its the best free option, you get a few extra things for being premium like mobile access and dynamic lighting on maps. I was just referring to trying to find games on there is cancer, but since you already have a group that's null.
>>
>>51178470
Lore Bard. Actually lore bard fit every role...
>>
>>51178461
Oathbreaker: Paladin that has fallen, but realizes his mistakes and wishes to atone

Conqueror: Extreme version of vengance pally. Not only wants to smite the great evil that plagues the land, but wants to completely erase it and any marks it may have left.
>>
>>51178117
How are you using booming blade as an opportunity attack?
>>
File: kamen rider riding or something.png (152KB, 794x847px) Image search: [Google]
kamen rider riding or something.png
152KB, 794x847px
>>51178470
Great.
However, there are other sorts of support

>Wolf barbarian in a melee party
>Paladin in general, auras, 'bless'
>Wizards/casters using battlefield control spells
>Bardic inspiration, cutting words
>Martials using grapples and such
>Monks stunning and proning and flinging enemies about, open hand monks in particular

Healing is just the tip of the iceberg and is generally used either out of combat or when a player goes down.
>>
>>51178486
That was my thought. Seek out fortune and glory, maybe boast about being a master duelist and then cheat like crazy once someone takes you on, etc
>>
>>51178131
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/63381
Due to errata and errata clarification it was a little confusing but you are 100% right. I thought the opposite was true. Thank you for pointing that out.

That means two fists can be counted as holding two weapons for a bonus attack?

So the feats would now read
Fighting Style: Pugalist
>unarmed attacks add 1d4 damage, choose bludgeoning/piercing/slashing as damage type
>you may, as a reaction after being attacked, make one unarmed attack

Is there a way to make US not as weak, like adding your proficiency bonus to the damage?

Also, should Tavern Brawler have the "-5 to roll, +10 to damage" option added to it? It would be like Great Weapons or Sharpshooter.
>>
>>51178515
war caster
>>
>>51178461
A mercenary. He's not a good man and he doesn't follow a nice oath but by god he'll do what he can to get rich and keep the economy running.
>>
Someone explain to me in-character what would be the difference between a Paladin who's an Oathbreaker and one who's taken the Oath of Treachery. Would any of these two be able to played as Good or Neutral characters? I kinda like the idea of playing a Dark Knight type of character.
>>
File: Blade-Nep dos.jpg (389KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Blade-Nep dos.jpg
389KB, 1024x1024px
>>51178516
Thanks mate, I'll take another look into Paladin, since they looked more like Punching things kind of class.
>>
>>51178499
No.Don't try to cheese.
>>
>>51178445
>didn't do the reading
>surprised that other people didn't do the reading either
I bet you didn't even finish reading this p
>>
>>51178499
That's not how that works. Pretty sure this was explicitly covered in a sage advice.
>>
As a DM, would you accept an artificer to have Mechanical Servant with the half-dragon template?
>>
>>51178411
>Barb
Greatsword of Vengeance
>Cleric
Adamantine Chain Shirt
>Ranger
Eyes of the Eagle
>Wizard
Spell Scrolls of low level Wizard spells they don't already know, so they can scribe them into their spellbook.
>>
>>51178461
Show loyalty to the party. Even joking tell them that you will keep them as henceman once you conquer the world or something. Actually make him likeable as a person and not an evil dick to the party.
>>
>>51178499
Yes, but only because ASIs are valuable to monks and monks could use a bit of extra jucie.
>>
>>51178487
Funny thing is I do have a rules monkey, who is also wrong, mostly because he channels 3.5.

>>51178560
Its been a crash course anon. I just got forced into being DM with no dnd experience. Ergo I don't have the player experience to fall back onto.
>>
>>51178587
Nope. That's some 3rd edition shit and I would really prefer to never relive those days.
>>
>>51178461
Kill your enemies, and not your party members.
>>
>>51178527
right, that's a pretty obvious combo that I just never thought of. thanks! that sounds like it'd work really well.
>>
>>51178411
You don't.

You come up with sensible, creative magical items that have a purpose for being where they are and invoke thought rather than just 'lol you get +1 to hit looking forward to giving all enemies +1 AC to completely negate that from now on' like most DMG magical items are.
>>
>>51178587
Nope. Don't allow it for Druids wildshape either.
>>
>>51178607
They're a rules jester then.

You need one who's actually good, the sort of one that spends all day ranting on /5eg/ and thus knows every tiny bit of errata and thing that does and doesn't work.
>>
>>51178596
thnx, now i have some options to consider
>>
>>51178445
>>51178487

My current group has nearly all new players and the DM hasn't run a game prior to ours for years, so he's a bit fuzzy on the rules as the different editions blend together in his head. I have to play rules layer all the time, and while I don't like constantly correcting people or seeming like a know-it-all, I just cant stand when people are straight up wrong about stuff. Fixing errors during a session is generally better than afterwards though, imo.

If you have a notorious powergamer check extra carefully on them. Used to know a guy that Im 99% sure he would occasionally feign ignorance about the rulings of abilities or spells to bend them to his favor.
>>
>>51178627
well

i was asking to avoid doing such a thing
>>
>>51178638
> Druid cast polymorph into Half-dragon giant ape anyway
>>
>>51178699
It's a template so they're variants of regular beasts.

If they ever came across one in game, I'd allow it. But otherwise, no dice.
>>
>>51178548

smiting does deal a lot of damage, but it uses up spell slots. you can use those to buff and heal between attacks
>>
>>51178687
I'd suggest maybe giving the party one party-wide item they can try to figure out together. Say, some sort of eldritch puzzlebox that takes in pieces of foes, reacting depending on the thing fed and makes the players think 'well, what does it want and what happens if we feed it what it wants?'

Or, something like an alchemy jug. No one particular character has to use it, but someone can say at any point 'oh, I want to grab the jug and pour mayonnaise everywhere'.
>>
>>51178685
I have a player who occasionally just pretends to write down damage taken, not actually putting it in. It's fucked I can't really watch him all the time.
>>
>>51178722
Polymorph doesn't require you to see the target beast first, dude.
>>
>>51178685
Eeh, I'd find that a bit too obnoxious.

I'd clear the rules up either afterwards or.. If you were a new player, it'd honestly be fine. Maybe becoming the DM if you're the only one who understands the rules though is a thing.

Either that, or you need a 'rules buddy' to back you up / make their own cases about rules, so that you don't become 'that guy' constantly butting in mid-combat.

>>51178749
I always noted down damage myself for various purposes, but make sure the players keep track of it themselves. There're a good number of reasons for doing that, at least, and it's not too hard to do.
>>
>>51178749
take max hp or magic items away from him every time you catch him
>>
>>51178685
>Fixing errors during a session is generally better than afterwards though, imo.

If there's a mistake, I tell them we were wrong before the next session and tell them we're going to be doing it this way from now on.
>>
>>51178767
Right, but because it's a template, and it's not a beast that necessarily even exists, it effectively doesn't exist. Dude.
>>
>>51178749
He sounds like a cock

If you're the dm have everyone's basic stats written down somewhere behind your screen/near your notes. Stuff like AC and max HP. Not only is that helpful in general, you could keep track of his HP so he dont cheat.
>>
File: 110.jpg (84KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
110.jpg
84KB, 368x368px
>>51178544
Bump for visibility.
>>
What's the most interesting backstory/motivation for a NPC rogue that stole a robe of the archmagi and a staff of power/magi? He's got use magic device so that he can actually use them of course. I want this guy to clash with the party to some extent but I'm not sure if he should really be a villain.
>>
>>51178818
He was tired of getting out shined by casters.
So he stole their shit and learned how to use it himself.
>>
>>51178785
Polymorph can turn you into a beast that doesn't exist in the current world. You don't even have to know thr beast exist. You just go "I wanna be a giant monkey that can breath fire like a badass!" And *BOOM* MAGIC
>>
>>51178781
>>51178783
What if its stuff like while going through a trap infested manor, the barbarian thinks he have advantage on perception checks to find traps because of his Danger Sense feature. That happened last session so I said to him "btw danger sense doesnt do that, heres what it does", and quick showed him what the book said. It didn't stop the session or halt progress, but it fixed an issue.
>>
>>51178843
No.

Feel free to try it though.
>>
>>51178855
Fine. Enjoy no fun Lucky halfling diviner polymorph you into a rat and cast sleep.
>>
>>51178843
If you want to try shit like that I'll start imposing the mental changes on you if you polymorph.

Oh you want to be a giant monkey that can breathe fire? That's fine. But you literally are that now. And because you retain your personality, you remain an idiot and go fuck off while the rest of your party dies in combat.
>>
>>51178896
>fine, don't let me make a broken spell more broken
>geez
>WHY DO YOU HATE FUN

You should try to step back and read what you type sometimes.
>>
>>51178544
Treachery is a more cowardly, self-preservation sort. They're not necessarily aligned to fiends, but they can be. They're more 'black, dishonourable knight'-ish.

Oathbreaker is more of a fiend/undead aligned paladin, an unholy paladin.

Both are OP and not properly constructed class archetypes in their own ways. Oathbreaker's level 7 ability is overpowered, treachery is basically just 'you get advantage: the class archetype' with a broken level 20 feature.
>>
>>51178811
Oathbreakers have to be evil, treachery paladins can technically be any alignment, although the fluff is hard to interpret as anything but evil. All of the treachery paladin abilities are based around being a lying cheating douche, while oathbreakers are more into fear effects and undead. I imagine that oathbreakers still have some knightly honor while treachery paladins are basically just scum.
>>
>>51178853
You could say 'I don't think it works that way' but if you have to interrupt them after the DM allows it and they've been doing it for a bit or you have to start arguing over it, it should be left for afterwards. The key rule is never to get into a rules argument mid-game unless it's really important.
>>
>>51178929
Giant ape has 7 INT. That is still higher than some human. And it understand draconic.
>>
File: 165.jpg (42KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
165.jpg
42KB, 499x499px
>>51178956
>>51178978
So if I wanted to play someone resembling a Dark Knight (as in, a knight using dark powers to fight - fighting fire with fire, so to speak) and not afraid to be cruel if it's for the greater good, what would be my best option?
>>
>>51178544
From what I can gather blackguards seem to be the melee equivalent of a warlock, a warrior that has bargained with some sort of dark force in order to gain their powers for whatever goal. Oathbreakers on the other hand are typically your ex-paladins that have been tempted to betray their previous oaths and take up new ones. Based on the fact that they're offering blackguard as a replacement for oathbreaker in the UA I'd imagine it would be fine for a blackguard to be an ex-paladin in a similar fashion but it would likely be out of a selfish reason whereas oathbreaker seems to still have them serving some higher entity. Blackguards would definitely be your independent dark knight if that's what you're looking for.
>>
>>51178544
Oathbreaker is a paladin who's broken whatever his original vow was. As it's described, the Oath of Treachery is the default for paladins who refused to take an oath in the first place. In terms of character, a Treachery paladin can be counted on to look after number 1 in any situation, while an Oathbreaker paladin might fit a wide variety of circumstances, from pure evil, to repentant but not quite there yet.

By the way, the Oath of Vengeance is the typical path for Dark Knights.
>>
>>51178991
It wasn't an argument though, he just said oh my bad I thought it did x. Then we all went forward with that knowledge and just shrugged off the previous mistakes. It took five seconds
>>
>>51179017
Multiclass Fighter/Fiend Patron Warlock
>>
>>51179014
So it can type better than you can, eh?
>>
>>51179017
Even if you took a different archetype, paladins are still at core a supportive class that heals, supports their allies and can get some damage off.

However, pretty much any oath can be played evil if you skew things right. Crown or devotion can be authoritarian bastards. Vengeance can simply be 'I REALLY FUCKING HATE ELVES'

But a class not tied to an oath might be more suitable.

If need be, you can always refluff an actually balanced paladin oath, probably. Same mechanical features, different labels.

A warlock might be suitable, but that's not very melee orientated without multiclassing. You could do a warlock/paladin multiclass of some sort, picking up charisma shillelagh.

>>51179034
Then it's fine.
If it went on for longer then it'd be best to say 'well, okay, we'll talk about it after the session'
>>
>>51178304
Doors and planar sex.
>>
>>51179014
>Giant ape has 7 INT. That is still higher than some human. And it understand draconic.

Well seeing as your evidence of that very claim, I have no counter argument.
>>
>>51179017
Being an oathbreaker would mean that your new tactics would be against your previous oath, so if you don't want your character to have "fallen", treachery could work. He'd just be a guy who was willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

The description for the treachery oath says you should basically always be looking out only for yourself, but it also goes out of the way to say the oath has no tenets so you could do whatever.
>>
>>51179029
I wouldn't say oathbreaker is merely someone who has broken their vow. Their abilities seem rather undead/fiend focused, so there's clearly more to them than simply 'breaking an oath', but rather there being some unholy power taking part in it.
>>
I DONT HAVE ALL THE MONSTER MANUAL MEMORIZED, AND I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.

ASSUMING A BBEG IS TRYING TO ASCEND TO DEMONHOOD USING A MASS HUMAN SACRIFICE RITUAL.

1.) WHAT AWESOME DEMON DOES HE BECOME IF THE RITUAL IS COMPLETED CORRECTLY?

2.) WHAT EMBARRASSING DEMON OR TEMPLATE HAPPENS IF THE RITUAL FAILS OR WAS INTERRUPTED?
>>
>>51179169
He goes to hell and becomes a lemure on success.
He fails to kill himself if he fails.
>>
>>51179169
WHATEVER YOU WANT BRO
>>
>>51179169
1.) SEMEN
2.)ALSO SEMEN
>>
File: paladind_6742.jpg (21KB, 322x356px) Image search: [Google]
paladind_6742.jpg
21KB, 322x356px
How do I lawful good paladin?

I've never been 100% good before, only 70 to 80% good on a few occasions. I mostly play asshole characters.
>>
File: Pit Lord.jpg (81KB, 671x745px) Image search: [Google]
Pit Lord.jpg
81KB, 671x745px
>>51179169
Pit Lord's a safe bet for instant bad-ass. Command legions of demons, get a fair chunk power and hellish power, and a definite shit-your-pants moment for the characters.

As for what happens if he fails, imps. A strong-ish imp, but a peon compared to the tiers of hells.
>>
>>51179169
1. balor
2. manes
Balor is CR 19, maybe a bit much for your party. Manes are directly stated to be the lowest of demonkind.
>>
>>51179235
that's a devil not a demon YOU FUCK
>>
>>51179169
What level are the players gonna be if they might have to fight the successful version?
>>
>>51179029
After looking at Oath of Vengeance, it does seem appropriate for what I had in mind. Also does Vow of Enmity seem a little overpowered or is it just me? A whole minute of advantage against a big villain sounds a tad broken, specially since it doesn't require concentration.
>>
>>51179235
If only there was some way to make him a demon.
>>
>>51179169
1. Balor
2. Shadow demon, because his physical form failed to manifest
>>
>>51179169
1. Nalfeshnee
2. Dretch

both are piglike, dretch's are basically doomed to a life of discontent
>>
Is ac 14 too low for level 11? I rolled stats and unless I play a dex or str character I'm gonna have trouble getting good AC.
>I rolled 16, 12, 12, 12, 11, 10
>>
>>51179337
Pretty low senpai.
What class?
Don't forget your ASIs.
>>
Do gridless versions of the SKT maps from the trove exist? I bought the physical copy but scheduling issues means my group cant play irl and we decided to settle for roll20. The grids on the trove maps and the roll 20 grids don't match up and it is triggering my autism, I'd rather just use the roll 20 grids.
>>
>>51179260
Vow of Emnity is fine as is. It is better than most of the other oath's Channel Divinity abilities, but it makes up for the lack of a 7th level aura. Also, any paladin can potentially get advantage once every round via his steed taking the Help action.
>>
>>51179192
>He fails to kill himself if he fails.
no, as in he's sacrificing a lot of other people to get the demonhood

>lemure
>looks it up
thats real funny broseph

>>51179253
variable, depending on factors, but at or around level 4 or 5 at the time of the ritual, and 7-9 a week or two later

>>51179238
>balor
>a balrog with a funny name
maybe not THAT powerful, whats the next step down?

>Mane
pretty frackin good...
I just need to figure out how to apply that as a template

>>51179297
>shadow demon
>that reasoning
>looks it up; CR-4; can fly;
YES

all right, so I have a "party severely fucks his ritual" option in the Mane
and a "they just regularly fuck his ritual" option in the Shadow Demon
and a "you have failed the very concept of heroics" option in the form of Balor..
>>
>>51179073
It's probably a better DM than you too.
>>
>>51179365
You mean you don't kill yourself to become a demon?

I'm afraid I, along with pit lord guy, both failed to notice it was demons instead of devils because honestly demons are shit, fuck them. Devils are way cooler.
>>
>>51179100
Glass houses, stones, etc .
>>
>>51179337
>playing a monk with bad stats for 14 AC
>rolling for stats

Druid is perfect for mono-statness.
You can also just be a wizard or something as they should avoid being attacked in the first place and thus only want that int.

Please tell me those aren't your stats after ASIs though.
>>
>>51179346
I start at level 11 and I want to play either a:
Fallen Aasimar Conquest paladin (cant do this because dominating others with 15 str feels weird to me and paladins are so great with 20 cha)
Glamour bard focused on pretending to be other people
>>
>>51179416
I need something thats reasonably killable

but devils are close enough to what I want to count too.

what badass shit can I get there?
>>
>>51179425
:^)
I already conceded.
If you'd like I can correct the *you're my swype fucked up.
>>
>>51179365
How about a glabrezu (CR 9) for a success? Still big and threatening, but high mental stats and some innate spellcasting.
>>
>>51179450
Well, demons fit much more to what you want. Devils are lawful up the ass and hierarchical. I'd focus on demons, the other suggestions you've been given seem good enough.

>>51179448
Well, Paladin certainly loses out if your stats are shit.
Bard works just fine, however, since you're mostly relying on charisma.
>>
>>51179464
He's the anon that was describing his quest idea earlier. The party needs to seriously fuck this up if he succeeds.

Also, there's plenty of reason why a Balor might fuck off immediately and go fuck up some city instead of wasting his time killing plebs that couldn't even keep him from doing his entire blood ritual.
>>
>>51179450
If you want to use devils, lemure would be absolutely perfect for a "complete failure" option.
>>
>>51179365
a step below Balor would be a Goristro (CR17)
>>
File: Ilmater.png (800KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ilmater.png
800KB, 1024x1024px
>>51179229
Going over the top goodie-two-shoes can be just as obnoxious as any other lolsorandum bullshit.

For 100% goodness, putting others before yourself is a good start. Care about people and their well being, there'll be a good chance innocent villagers or some equivalent will be in danger at some point, do your absolute best to save them. Have decency in your actions, be polite, and have some goddamn common sense. When the CN rogue wants to burn down one of the buildings in a village because there might be enemies or whatever inside, tell him he's dumb.

For lawful, first and foremost follow the tenants of your god as best you can. Those are your personal laws. When fighting against dirty cheating scum, do not cheat, you are better than them. Aim to achieve your goals and the party's goals within the laws of the land and your god as best you can. There are always other ways than thieving and torture to obtains success in your quests. Do not kill the undeserving.

LG can be tricky, because often times your party members want to/will do actions that go directly against your characters philosophies, and too many people fall into the no-fun-allowed hard-ass trap. It's a lot of fun to be LG though, personally, and the more you play it the better idea of how you want to play it you'll get.
>>
>>51179441
>My playgroup always rolls stats, we just started that way
I would play a druid but a friend of mine always plays druid and it always seems to be so boring wildshaping into something with millions of health and no damage or casting spells with no utility.
I would play a wizard but I always play wizard.
>>
>>51178461
Fledgling paladin who was "forced" into falling because of a plot contrivance and fell in with the wrong crowd but still tries to help people
Like an edgier regular paladin who believes in a world of STR, but their heart and actions are that of 「Justice」 and they don't want innocents to suffer
A bandit who rolls around with the evil artifact they picked up, thinking its the source of their power
Humanitarian who tries to uphold law and order to maintain the cycle of on-and-off wars between feudal states, in service to their darkbad god of war
An elf who spent hundreds of years playing Crusader Kings with a human dynasty until they were wiped out by a plague and, frustrated, he set out in a quest for a noble title so he can start over

Anything goes as long as you aren't a dick to the party.
>>
File: Ilmater.jpg (54KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ilmater.jpg
54KB, 400x480px
>>51179502
I can't look at anything Ilmater related without getting a weird feeling...
Curse of Strahd spoilers:

>Playing as a barbarian that worships Ilmater
>Get to amber temple and see all the sarcophagi
>Two friends killed themselves going mad from the gifts
>Decide to take some gifts enduring their drawbacks so we can defeat Strahd
>End up becoming a black furry skeleton winged immortal monster
>Madness makes me think I am the person/thing I admire most
>Another madness makes me think I have an imaginary friend... who is the person/thing I admire most
>Last madness makes me think I am the greatest thing ever
>Remain in control of my character by some miracle
>Defeat Stradh with a party of me, my imaginary brother, a warlock, a sorcerer, and some allies
>The dark powers seduce my insane character into becoming the new dreadlord of Barovia
>Barovia is now ruled by the demonic barbarian Ilmater and his imaginary brother Ilmater
>Ilmater
>>
>>51179504
Barbarian could work, since they honestly don't care much about their AC and they already get good hitdice. It won't be the best barbarian, but you'll get by.

Fighter gets a lot of ASIs, but it'll be a shame because you'll be losing out on feats while even the casters could be taking feats and still have better ability scores than you. But, eh, that's what you get when your group plays the 'let's roll to see who gets more free ASIs' game, you make it so one of fighter's unique features can be given to anyone just by being lucky at the start. Yes I am an endless saltmine when it comes to discussion on rolling or not rolling stats.

Monk and paladin are absolutely out of the equation.
Rogue is very mono-stat-ish. Could do that, they even get an extra ASI.
Both warlocks and sorcerers get by fair enough on just charisma.
Cleric might be alright on just wis, and ranger can work on just dex. Artificer can work on just int.

Just be glad you have a 16.

>>51179542
I'm not sure if there's anything specifically about it, but I thought it was generally agreed you can't 'force' a paladin to break their oath. It's only once they lose faith themselves and let themselves fall that it happens properly, even if they technically broke the oath. Though, for example, oathbreaker won't work well unless your paladin has ties with the devil or something given how they buff undead and fiends.

>>51178461
Have redeeming features, don't play OP archetypes.
>>
>>51179646
I don't mind having bad stats, I enjoy dnd the most when I'm doing noncombat things and don't mind sucking in combat.
Although lately I've been getting the feeling I'm letting my party down by not being strong which is why I'm trying my best with these stats.
>>
File: Paarl Extra 1.jpg (183KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Paarl Extra 1.jpg
183KB, 1024x576px
>>51179630
>black furry skeleton winged immortal monster
Jesus Christ how majestic.
>>
Can I get the more recently updated version of this?

Also, whoever makes these, can you please put the date in the text? Thank you.
>>
>>51179748
I don't mind playing, say, a wizard with really bad stats all around. You still get to do things, and with low con it'll likely result in an inevitable death with me rerolling a character. Or if I don't reroll, it's practically an achievement I've survived that long.

But it's rather annoying if you've got somebody who likes to boast with good stats, when really half of their boasting practically comes from good luck from one set of rolls at the start of character creation.

If you're playing characters all the way until level 20 or something crazy like that, it's even worse because it's not a 'taking turns' thing, everybody's locked in for life after that one roll session ages ago.

My real problem is that there just isn't enough point to rolling to justify it. Your stats vary, yes, but most people will just shove a high number in con, a high number in their main stat and then throw the other stuff where it's convenient. Point buy would give just as varied characters. If people want to roll like that, roll in order for proper variation, and make it so the game isn't super survivable.
>>
>>51179630
I love it.
Was he a bad guy then, or did he keep up with the whole take others' sufferings and burdens thing?
>>
I've got a question, /5eg/.

If I made a Half-Orc Fighter who took the Samurai spec from the UA, and then at 4th level went into Rogue to get Sneak Attack, could I use the 3rd Level Samurai ability to grant myself Advantage, then Sneak Attack off my own attacks?
>>
>>51179841
Further, I know Sneak attack requires a finesse weapon, but can I use my Strength score as the ability for hit and damage with Sneak Attack?
>>
>>51179464
sounds breddy gud

>>51179482
noted

>>51179493
>Also, there's plenty of reason why a Balor might fuck off immediately and go fuck up some city instead of wasting his time killing plebs that couldn't even keep him from doing his entire blood ritual.
also true, and it allows me be input some political strife later on the order of "your kingdom allowed this to happen and that beast came and razed my cities to the ground!!"

might even give me leeway to pull some funky shit with taxes and levies

>>51179496
perhaps if the party manages to stop the ritual without ANY sacrifices...

>>51179498
still too powerful, but I like the idea of using one later...
>>
>>51179856
Yes. However, there's very little reason to unless you're a barbarian-rogue or fighter shieldmaster rogue, and even then you might still want to be dexterity-based for crazy AC.or might not want to boost your athletics to insane levels when you already have expertise.
>>
>>51179856
Yes, and yes. Sneak attack only requires that the weapon has the finesse property, not that you use Dex to make the attack.
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Aarakocra

I changed the sorting button layout to look nicer and added a filtering reset button to all pages.
>>
>>51179646
>it was generally agreed you can't 'force' a paladin to break their oath
That's true, but I'd think it would be easy enough for some fuckboy squire fresh out of Paladin school to lose inner faith if they got pressed hard enough on their flaws and failures.
Or they never completed their paladin initiation in the first place, and broke because of an evil cult's ruses
>>
>>51179758
An assortment of dark gifts from horrible gods

The ones I took were:
Mind blank at the cost of melting my eyes away into seeing holes
flying speed of 50 at the cost of having skeletal wings and needing to eat bones every day or dying
reincarnating when dead 3 times at the cost of losing all my teeth
casting cone of cold 7 times at the cost of being mortally afraid of fire
30 max HP at the cost of having sprouted oily thick black hair all over my body
Evasion and 3 auto pass dex checks at the cost of being compelled to lie

>>51179814
Well I don't know if the dark gods made him crazier than when we ended the campaign but his ideals didn't change.
So he would probably try to rule as a lawful evil madman who likes to suffer for others.
We like to joke that if we ever run the campaign again for new people we would call it Curse of Ilmater.
>>
Kind of a dumb question, but for the Gunsmith branch of the Artificer does the Thunder Cannon use a stat modifier alongside proficiency? My DM is saying no since there's none listed, but I feel like Dex would be used since its a ranged weapon.
>>
>>51179919
You're a god. Thanks.
>>
>>51179921
Yeah, though you'd be kind of a bitch in the first place if you're the sort of paladin who doesn't try to redeem themself the first time their oath is broken and just lose faith straight away. Maybe if it was broken over and over again without them being able to do anything about it and they eventually decided 'I'm powerless like this, I guess I'll have to turn to unholy powers in order to make things right' and then they do good stuff with unholy power.
>>
>>51179887
Note that becoming a demon/devil is already entirely an option, you just typically enter in at the lowest tier, manes and lemures. Orcus worked himself up from mane, and devils have an extremely rigid power structure.
>>
>>51179898
>>51179900
Lovely, thank you both.
>>
>>51179919
You are the best thing that's happened to these threads in a while.

>>51179953
It's a ranged Weapon that you're proficient with. Yes, you get your Dex mod to damage. Crawford and Mearls have confirmed this.
>>
>>51179953
Ranged weapons use dex for attack/damage, they explicitly mention the gun is a ranged weapon.
>>
>>51179988
and then there is that shit-fucker jumping the bureaucratic line with a great big sacrifice...

I can use that for a justification of "a conclave of mid level demons" hiring the party and granting boons to kill the ritual guy for jumping the line...
>>
>>51179953
>The firearm is a two-handed ranged weapon that deals 2d6 piercing damage.
>two-handed ranged weapon

A longbow is also a two-handed ranged weapon, and thus both the longbow and the thunder cannon get to add DEX mod to attack and damage. Show your DM that along with the entry for longbow in the PHB and you'll probably get your way unless he starts houseruling.
>>
>>51180045
I"m pretty sure my DM would understand since he only had a glance at it inbetween his work hours. I just wanted to make doubly sure.
>>
>>51179953
Check page 194 of the PHB specifically if you need to prove anything to your dm.
>>
>>51179953
PHB pg. 177, "Attack Rolls and Damage."
>>
>>51180043
Yes, if he's lucky, he might jump up to the rank of Imp or one higher than Imp instantly for killing 20 people if he also sells his soul. Which is pretty good.

I mean, 20 random dead people means very little to devils. Unless it was a powerful item sacrifice or important, powerful figures, however..
>>
>>51180119
>Unless it was a powerful item sacrifice
hows a "mostly buried, ancient altar-temple" on the night of a lunar eclipse(because FUCK IT)???
>>
>>51180167
It sounds like they're summoning an eldritch being when the stars are right rather than making payment to hell in return for power.

Unless they can open a portal from hell or something that the devils there need, and they get paid in return for opening that portal.
>>
Can all ranged weapons be used with Strength? Like the Longbow? I can't see anywhere that it has to be Dexterity.
>>
>>51180188
whatevs.
I can GM around that...

what might you answer>>51179169 if it was "eldritch outsider" instead of demon or devil?

at this point I'm working up a listing of what the douche becomes based on level of ritual completion
>>
>>51180234
PHB pg. 194.
>>
File: OglafMightWant.jpg (16KB, 124x282px) Image search: [Google]
OglafMightWant.jpg
16KB, 124x282px
Is there somewhere I can access downloadable .txt files for a character sheet app so I don't have to manually add new content?

Yes, I'm aware this makes me a pirate, but I just bought Volo's, and I don't wanna type all that shit in manually on my phone.
>>
>>51180264
Just use https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Aarakocra

It works in phone browsers.
>>
>>51180234
only weapons with the thrown property can make ranged attacks with strength
>>
>>51180234
Technically you can make a melee attack with a ranged weapon to add strength AND dexterity or something like that, but nobody would ever consider that because it's stupid and it'll never happen.

However, no, you can't. There's something about using dexterity for ranged weapons and strength for melee weapon attacks, or something to that mechanic. You can throw weapons and use strength like that, however.

>>51180242
I'm not sure. Some sort of mindflayer-esque thing?

I'd honestly say that if you want devils, you could make it so they're opening a portal to hell, and they're rewarded based on how good a portal they make. The bigger the portal, the bigger badder stuff can come out of it. Regardless of how well he does, the fight would end up being whatever they've become + what comes through the portal, which would probably just be imps and such at first. It's much better to have goons alongside a boss fight, after all.

If it's demons.. Maybe, but demons could easily not honour a contract.

If it's eldritch beasts, they're just gonna wreck everyshit. They could maybe possess him, though.

It makes more sense to me that they're opening a portal than 'Well, they're doing a lot of spooky magic things, so I guess the demons will like that and give him candy?'
>>
>>51180273
There's no way to export/import that though. Leaving me with the same issue of entering it manually.
>>
>>51177018
Some of it, like the ranger fix, should be mandatory. A lot of it though is really neat, and gives a lot of pretty balanced potential to character building. If your DM is cool, they should let most of it through.

Some of it can be a bit odd (see the necrotic druid meme) but otherwise fun.

I still miss my 3.5 blackguard and wish there was a decent brew of it; nothing quite catches it exactly.
>>
File: 103.jpg (90KB, 297x297px) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
90KB, 297x297px
I keep hearing Mystic being mentioned in this thread but last I checked, the UA for it was terribly incomplete and only went up to level 10. Has something changed in the meantime?
>>
>>51180519
No, but people still love it.
Immortal is an actually fun gish and awakened mind is a pseudobard. I like both.
>>
>>51180519
New UA for it comes out in February.
>>
>>51180519
Some anon made a psionics handbook that extends the mystic to 20 levels.

its also pretty neat. Highly recommend checking it out.
>>
>>51180580
is immortal more of a caster gish and sohei is more of a martial gish?

because i'm hoping sohei plays like eldritch knight, but if immortal is martial then it seems redundant
>>
>>51180675
I guess it's more of a martial, but it's pretty flexible.
>>
>>51180675
Order of the Immortal is being removed in favor of the Sohei archetype for fighters.
>>
How many templates are there in the MonMan? I'm thinking of a bad guy that crossbreeds various creatures in order to get the kind of thing a teenager would make for their freeform RP forum.
>>
>>51180762
No, Sohei is a different archetype altogether. Immortals are still in the Mystic.
>>
File: 184.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
184.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
So with Artificer getting a whole UA dedicated to it, would you still allow the Artificer archetype for Wizard to be playable as an alternative to the actual class?
>>
>>51180762
Are you talking about the "make mystic a d6, give immortal to the fighter" thing? Because I'm 100% sure that's not a thing anymore.
>>
>>51180764
Like three (shadow dragon, dracolich, half-dragon) and they're all dragon-related.

>>51180774
Yeah, totally. To keep the Eberron bent, just rename it Magewright.
>>
>>51180769
Mearls walked back on that decision then?

>>51180774
Fuck no.
>>
>>51180781
Half-shadow dracolich, then, I'll see what I can do with it.
>>
If I wanted to multiclass paladin and sorcerer, what would be the optimal way to do it?
>>
>>51180242
Things on the level of a GOO just don't care enough to reward people. They don't think like we do, and they only work as plot points as mysteries we can't understand.

Trying to upjump himself in the ranks of Devils can be really interesting though. Their potential peers wouldn't like the out of nowhere competition. Bonus points for it being a much higher Devil sponsoring them, what they are doing isn't really worth the reward, but it looks good for a Bone Devil to have the whole thing on his next performance review.
>>
>>51180774
Why not? As of now, the game has fey paladins and arcane clerics and divine wizards and holy barbarians and all kinds of stuff.
More variety & flexibility = better. D&D is a self-regulating system where everything the DM doesn't like can be outright banned, and everything he's at the very least okay with can be allowed, without him having to really homebrew shit in just to cater to his players.
Also friendly reminder that Artificer Tradition Wizards gets even more hilarious once you allow the DMG mixing potions variant rule.
>>51180787
>Mearls walked back on that decision then?
He did.
>Fuck no.
Artificer Wizard is more fun than the Alchemist Artificer.
>>
>>51180866
>More fun
That's just, like, your opinion man.
>>
>>51180814
Play Dragonborn for Draconic synergy. Start as Paladin, then take most of your levels in Sorcerer, especially if you want those sick dragon wings at 14, plus the extra HP per level can be handy. Probably do Pal5Sorc15 overall. Make sure you have Green Flame Blade if you want to be active in combat. Maybe invest in Heavy Armor Master, since you've got low Hit Dice and damage reduction will be pretty handy. You'll have good STR and CHA since you're dragonborn, so try to get 14 CON at chargen.

That's all I can think of for now.
>>
>>51180814
Paladin 2, Sorcerer 4, Paladin X, Sorcerer X
>>
File: The Eidolon.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
The Eidolon.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Alright, I got myself a Prestige Class written up. Needs a lot of work and editing, mind you.

This class is a 5-level prestige class called the Eidolon. It is loosely based on the Eidolon class from 3.0's Ghostwalk supplement, and it basically grants you Ghost powers. Again, a very rough draft.

Any input is helpful if you got a minute to take a look.
>>
>>51177009
Maxing out Dex first.
>>
>>51180866
>holy barbarians
Wait what? What did I miss?
>>
>>51180902
Have fun throwing around your pseudo-cantrips while big guys brew actual potions, I guess?
>>51180959
Zealot Barbarian in one of the UAs.
>>
>>51180814
Paladin 1, 2
Fire Dragon Sorcerer 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Undying Light Warlock 1

From there, choose between paladin 3-6 or 3-12 for either aura of protection or aura of protection and improved divine smite or go all levels into sorcerer for more metamagic and spell slots to fuck with.
>>
>>51177009
If you're not a sword and board GFB+BBer, crossbow mastery and sharpshooter.
>>
File: NO elf.png (601KB, 807x778px) Image search: [Google]
NO elf.png
601KB, 807x778px
>>51180942
>Prestige Class
>>
>>51180916
What if I made a fighter/rogue/caster who had Green Flame Blade and Sneak attack. Can it be made to pair up as long as I use a finesse weapon?
>>
>>51180985
I'm a DM, brahj. I disallow the Artificer Wizard tradition because I disallow the Eberron UA as a whole. It's pretty garbage. Yes, the whole quick brew potions thing is powerful *IF* you can use the UA Alchemist feat *and* your DM allows you to abuse the potion miscibility table from the DMG. Otherwise it's a really bad arcane tradition as a whole.

Also? Artificers get 2 tools of their choice and expertise with those tools by 2nd level. You know what Alchemist's Supplies are good for during down time, right?
>>
>>51181034
Yeah. But that way I can laugh at the fact you gotta die to qualify.
>>
>>51177018
Most are good but sometimes they just make shit that nobody will play or is just plain broken.

For example UA Undying Light patron for Warlocks.
They are thematically great but...
They get +Cha mod to all Fire/Radiant spells at lvl 1 which is just silly and encourages munchkins to multiclass.
This feature should be delayed to lvl 6 at least (when dragon sorcerrer also gets it).

On the other hand there's UA ranger which is well made.
They took the un-usable features from the vanilla class like Favoured enemy (which was far too specific to do shit) and made them more consistent.
The only problem being that Beast conclave isn't balanced towards multiclassing.
The UA version of the class as a whole is acceptable for multiclassing due to its nature of being MAD like the monk.

The new Barbarian paths and Druid subclasses are the best example of an UA done perfectly right.
No broken or exploitable features while being well balanced and enjoyable for play.

The monk UA is an exampe is one of the worse ones.
The jumbeled mess of wording that is Kensai because they simply couldn't make up their minds to add a line to the Martial arts feature that lets go of the silly limits (not being able to use twohanded weapons) as long as attacks are made on a target within 5 ft range.

The Tranquility monk starts of great with a good healing feature and one support feature for combat but then goes of the deep end with a feature that is basically mind controll and a capstone that gives them a +17 bonus if they see something die.
>>
>>51181044
That's a good question. I think that would work out but I'm not so good at rogues so you'd best wait for someone else's reply.
>>
File: 1256270556986.jpg (458KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
1256270556986.jpg
458KB, 800x559px
If you're planning to sword and board, is there a reason to not go Dex as a Paladin? I can't think of one offhand except that you can't get Heavy Armor Mastery (if you were thinking of it).

Also, how is Paladin/Bard multiclassing?
>>
>>51180814
long story short it depends on what role you want to fill.

>Tank
6 paly / sorc 14 is a pretty good basis. Can be moved to paly 9 for extra tankiness.

>Healer
pretty much requires paly 9 / sorc 14 to get aura of vitality and become beastly.

>Buffer / Debuffer
you want to go simple paly 2 / sorc 18 to get as much sorcery points as possible and have the most meta magic. (careful web is my personal favourite)

>Frontline fighter
paly 11 / sorc 9 the best candidates for this are ancients and oathbreakers. You're pretty much just an upscaled Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>51181044
As long as you meet the requirements for Sneak Attack, and have not already used Sneak Attack that turn, any melee weapon attack with a Finesse Weapon may trigger Sneak Attack. Yes, this include ones made as part of a spell.

GFB+Sneak Attack works.
>>
File: 116.jpg (21KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
116.jpg
21KB, 456x628px
Question. I've a friend who's been wanting to play a Holy Archer. This would mean something like homebrewing a Paladin into being able to take the Archery fighting style. I am however extremely wary of homebrewing Divine Strike into being usable on ranged attacks being overpowered.
Any changes you guys may suggest so it doesn't become too strong? Or would keeping Divine Strike as is with the ranged change be okay?
>>
>>51181124

Rogues can sneak attack with ranged weapons can't they? I don't think Paladin stuff should be too much of a problem.
>>
>oathbreaker11/firesorc6/undyinglightwarlock1/revisedranger1/rogue1

>rapier and shield against a humanoid, have hex already cast
>use green flame blade
>1d8+DEXMOD (Rapier damage)
>+3d8 fire damage (green flame blade)
>+3d8+CHAMOD damage to target within 5ft of first target
>+CHAMOD (Oathbreaker level 7)
>+1d8 (improved divine smite)
>+CHAMOD (Fire dragon sorcerer)
>+CHAMOD (Undying light sorcerer)
>+2 (duelling)
>+2 (favoured enemy)
>+1d6 (sneak attack)
>+1d6 (hex)

It's a shame we don't have the wizard kevek 10 evocation feature to take onto that or greater favoured enemy.

You can then choose to smite on top of it or even use metamagic to make another green flame blade attack as a bonus action.

Honestly, it's not overpowered oathbreaker is though and you'd be better off using haste or going pure oathbreaker or doing many other things and you'll never reach the level to do this but it's fun seeing all of that stack up to

5d8+[4xCHAMOD]+DEXMOD+4+1d6
per green flameblade

from this abomination of a multiclass.
>>
>>51181110
What's the mechanical intention of the character? If you're just going for damage I suppose it'd work out alright.

I don't really go for Paladin/Bard multiclassing since Paladin's already a class that's got a fair spread, so if you go for something else, especially bard, it's a bit of a waste.
>>
>>51181047
>Yes, the whole quick brew potions thing is powerful *IF* you can use the UA Alchemist feat
No, it gets absolutely bonkers retarded powerful and completely overshadows the Life Cleric if you use the feat. It's legitimately 40 hp at lvl 5. Most characters wouldn't even have that much HP.
>*and* your DM allows you to abuse the potion miscibility table from the DMG
I don't see why your DM would not, unlike the feat it's actually balanced and synergizes well with the subclass.
>Otherwise it's a really bad arcane tradition as a whole.
Better than most of those presented in the PHB.
Resistance potions are great.
Superior Healing Potions are also better than the Healing Draught until late game.
Yes, artificer can infuse stuff with invisibility, but the wizard tradition artificer wouldn't require concentration, because it's an actual potion from DMG. Same applies for a number of other useful effects as well.
It's far from being really bad. Wanna know what's really bad? Transmutation/Conjuration traditions.
>>
>>51181142
Whoops, should be 3xCHAMOD not 4x, also include 3d8+CHAMOD to a second target.

>>51181124
Make it so that the paladin can't take the archery fighting style but can smite on ranged attacks, and then you're all good on balance, probably.
>>
File: C_Jew.jpg (27KB, 250x374px) Image search: [Google]
C_Jew.jpg
27KB, 250x374px
How much of a bad person am I for paying like 2 cents for pay what you want products in the dm's guild?
>>
>>51177452
Fighting style:

Brawler

Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 bludgeon damage (unless you have a higher damage die through the Monks martial arts feature) and you can use either Str or Dex for the attack/damage rolls.

When an enemy within 5 ft of you makes an attack against you or tries to leaves the 5ft range arround you without taking the disengage action you may use your reaction to make an unarmed strike against them and halve their movement speed until their next turn.

You may forego your advantage or make an attack roll with disadvantage to add a +10 damage bonus to your unarmed strike.

There you go.
>>
>>51181164
Terrible.
>>
>>51181164
It's homebrew. Most homebrew sucks.

That said, I think it's not that bad. If nobody pays for it, they'll realize there's no paid demand for funky homebrew that isn't in some sort of actual physical book. I'd feel worse about downloading, say, Volo's, but then again, I wouldn't get to see that content otherwise and I need to criticize it..
>>
>>51181164
I think that qualifies as Lawful Evil in the 'following a code but in a selfish manner' definition.

But really though, think of it as paying for what you think it's worth instead of the bare minimum. You can pay more for a soda, and that's not D&D material.
>>
>>51181044
>>51181105
>>51181118
Next question - if I made the same thing and took fighter into a level high enough to get multi-attack, can I GFB on each attack?
>>
>>51181147

Tanky support kind of dude.
>>
>>51181187
>>51181190
>>51181197

I would prefer if I could read something first and then pay what I think it deserves afterwards. being forced to pay before I can open the document makes me worried if its worth getting at all
>>
>>51181165
Y'know, that's not so bad.

You'd still use weapons for higher AC targets, but against lower AC targets you get to break out your fists and +10 damage punch them up.
I'd call it practically compulsory on shield master feat users.
>>
>>51181206
No, GFB is a spell, and uses the "Cast a Spell" action, not the Attack action. It never benefits from having Extra Attack.
>>
>>51181229
That's true. It's very, very possible that it's shit, all things considered. You have to make a pretty damn good homebrew to make it applicable across any campaign except the one it's homebrewed for.
>>
>>51181216
Well, since the intention of a tank is to draw damage I think it'd be better to go with a STR weapon and shield, along with heavy armor, Heavy Armor Mastery, and Defense. I did something similar, though I chose Dueling instead of Defense since I had +2 mods across the board and didn't want my damage output to be lacking.
>>
>>51181231
Thank you.

Final question - is this math right?

Fighter 3 Samurai/Rogue 3 Arcane Trickster = Give self Advantage, Cast Green Flame Blade + Sneak attack = 1d8 finesse weapon + 2d6 sneak attack + 1d8 fire damage + one creature within 5 feet takes 1d8 fire damage plus spellcasting mod

I am not good with casters. Yet.
>>
>>51181110
Go strength.
You get polearm mastery, use a quarterstaff and shield.

If you don't want to use feats, you go rapier+shield and focus charisma instead of dexterity.

That's how it works from a metagame perspective anyway.

Paladin/bard multiclassing can work if you're aiming to get shillelagh at bard's level 6, but from there on I'd probably focus on getting paladin to level 11 for improved divine smite.
>>
>>51181256

Thing is, I don't think I'd pick up HAM anyway. I think then I'm just missing 1 AC because half-plate gets me to 19 with shield while full plate gets me to 20 with shield. Which isn't so bad I'm hoping? I want to pick up Shield Mastery and I don't think I'll get more than the one feat in the course of the campaign. Even if I did, I might spend it on getting Dex save proficiency instead.

>>51181270

Charisma eh? Like, get a +2 dex mod and then forget about it?
>>
>>51180775
it isn't I fucking asked Mearls about it.
>>
>>51181304
Yeah I would refer to that post where anon (possibly you) asked (((memerls))) about the whole mystic thing being reworked but I wouldn't like to end up being without any kind of source.
>>
>>51181304
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/813999711132581888
>>
>>51181124
Just have them play a War Cleric. Medium Armor and Martial weapon Proficiency, so Good AC and can use a Longbow, and they get Divine Favor as a domain spell, so it's always prepared.
>>
>>51181299
You could up dex, but I'd probably favour charisma for better saves for everybody, better channel divinity, better spells and maybe any other features that run off of charisma. Smites don't need you to have good to-hit or damage at all, since crit chance for crit smites is independent of hit chance and you only need to hit as often as you want to smite.
Ideally you'd want to start with 16 dex and 16 charisma and 15 strength and 14 con and maybe 12 wisdom and then fuck intellect, but that's so MAD you'd have to ask your DM to roll stats and get lucky.

Well, quarterstaff+shield is probably the best route. Choose between duelling for +2 damage on each attack if you think you're already tanky enough or +1 AC from defense. Start variant human for PAM, then grab heavy armour mastery at some point. Max strength to 20, then do charisma after that. Alternatively, if you wanted to do a warlock3 or bard6 multiclass, just focus entirely on charisma for shillelagh + quarterstaff+shield, maybe get 14 strength to start with and pick up heavy armour mastery at some point.

Of course, Paladins are a great class, so you don't have to do all the metagame stuff to be viable. You can do whatever the heck and it'll be fine.
>>
>>51180774
Of course. It's a terrible archetype, so I don't have any balance concerns, so if one of my players wanted to go for it in spite of that, I say go for it.
>>
>>51180814
I'm running a Vengeance Pally 3/Favored Soul Sorcerer X. They're a strength build, but Dex would probably be more popular. Run with the bladesinger cantrips too.
>>
>>51181333
>War Cleric holy archer
Anon hush, that would make too much sense. Just let them go along with their ebin ranged paladin maymay.
>>
>>51181047
Why would you disallow something you consider "underpowered"? Are you demanding a table full of minmaxers?
>>
File: 1268644009896.jpg (116KB, 468x406px) Image search: [Google]
1268644009896.jpg
116KB, 468x406px
>>51181410
>Someone sees "Linguist" on your character sheet
>Never hear the end of it
>>
>>51181383
>It's a terrible archetype
I will never understand this.
How is it any worse than the other traditions? Only schools I can think of that are better are Divination (because Portent is nigh broken), Abjuration (arguably) and Necromancy (which doesn't really fit any campaign). All the others are either extremely limited (like evocation) or gimmicky as fuck.
I mean, yeah, if you look at it alone it's not that impressive but thing is other stuff is even worse, for the most part. Theurge is an exception, but it's tacky and I would expect a lot of DMs to ban it because it gets the cleric domain thing earlier than the cleric himself.
>>
>>51181410
I run games for a group of longtime IRL friends who are still tenderfeet when it comes to tabletop RPGs. Some of them can get a little whiny in games when they get saddled with something they consider underwhelming, bless their vidya-playing hearts. So to spare the table from that, and admittedly my personal distaste for how poorly the races and dragonmarks were handled, I just don't allow that UA.
>>
Does animate undead work like this

Oathbreaker Paladin
>cast 3rd level animate dead for 1 skeleton
>cast 3rd level animate dead for +1 skeleton (2)
>long rest
>cast 3rd level animate dead to maintain 2 skeletons.

Or do you need to wait until you have higher levels to have multiple skeletons that you can maintain?
>>
>>51181456
3rd level Animate Dead can maintain up to 4 undead at a time.
>>
>>51181455
>I don't think you'll like this, so instead of offering advice if you seem interested in it, I'll just ban it instead
Yeah you sure seem like a swell DM

>>51181435
People on this site still go crazy when it comes to 4e for being too mechanically focused, but then shit themselves if you even insinuate doing something against the meta for, dare I say it, *roleplay* reasons. It's fucking bonkers.
>>
>>51181475
>This use of the spell reasserts your control over up to four creatures you have animated with this spell, rather than animating a new one.

One casting can maintain up to 4 existing undead.

>>51181493
There's a reason I don't DM for online groups, man. I know it's a shitty thing to do in the overall scheme of things, but it saves me the headache by not having to worry about making sure my players all keep track of another pdf, or whine about it being underpowered at the table, or question me on why I allow that subclass but not anything else from that UA.
>>
>>51181493
I wouldn't complain unless they're taking linguist on, say, a monk or paladin (Something incredibly ASI-starved) or something that's clearly just a direct downgrade of something else (Sword and boarding with strength without having shield master or rage damage or heavy armour when they could do it with dex)
>>
All right, I need help building a fantasy world for a 5e D&D Campaign the only thing I have so far is that one of my prospective players, wants the world to be named after a star, like Sirius or Polaris, and as an added bonus, pretty much everybody who wants to play is completely new to ttrpgs myself included, can anyone help me? if so, will you please help me?
>>
>>51181538
Linguist is a great feat to take for a paladin since they also generally tend to be the party mouth. It's only a terrible feat if you consider D&D to be nothing but combat.
>>
>>51181561
Is there anything restricting you from just using an existing setting and just changing the names? That'd be the easiest and most painless method since your players probably won't be familiar with any existing TTRPG settings.
>>
>>51181561
Campaign world is named Algol, after the Demon Star. Open up a google doc, let's get started.
>>
>>51181405
Problem with Cleric is that they're still inherently a spellcaster. No Extra Attack would surely make it shitty to use as a bow class, no?
>>
>>51181561

Actually, random worldbuilding on /tg/ is really best done as its own thread. Try starting one (during primetime) that starts with "This setting is D&D 5e and is called [star name]."
>>
>>51181566
Yet you could simply have the wizard take 'comprehend languages' or something,

I find languages don't really come up a lot, nowhere near as often as +2 charisma would, especially considering that +2 charisma also helps with out of combat things.

If you run a campaign that doesn't have any compulsory combat or combat isn't constantly scaled to expecting the players to fight something challenging, then sure.
>>
>>51181579
Not exactly, Except the player who's hosting didn't want to Use FR and specifically asked me to build a world.
>>51181584
I will but, Why a google doc? and, I'm Partial to Eridanus.
>>51181662
I've also asked in the world building General, but this is more populated at 5 am on the east coast of america.
>>
For a far-traveler shadow monk in an Underdark adventure:
Hobgoblin or Aasimar?
>>
File: glyphalgol.jpg (5KB, 340x160px) Image search: [Google]
glyphalgol.jpg
5KB, 340x160px
>>51181649
>No extra attack
Mitigated by War Cleric specifically getting to make weapon attacks as a Bonus Action a number of times equal to their Wisdom Modifier per long rest, plus getting Divine Strike at 8th level.

>>51181679
>Eridanus
That's a constellation, not a single star. Also has a connection to Homestuck, so I'd be wary of that.

I suggested Algol specifically because it presents a good opportunity for world building regarding cosmological threats, and a decent symbol to use in universe.
>>
>>51181694
Aasimar.
Hobbgoblins are just meh.

Why no sun soul monk tho?
>>
>>51181694
>monk that doesn't have +dex or +wis from racials, or at best +1 wis from aasimar
We've been over this, anon.
Aasimar is actually okay because it's overpowered normally so if you go protector and sun soul you can fly around enemies and attack from the skies, which gets rid of monk's squishiness problems.

I mean, sure, if you want to be a half-orc wizard, go ahead, but for the love of god don't do this to the poor monk.
>>
>>51181712
I was specifically talking About Omicron 1 Eridanus but thank you, none of them are likely to know what Homestuck is and thankfully neither do I.
>>
>>51181735
>Omicron 1 Eridani
You mean Al Baid?
>>
>>51181727

Rolled for stats. Got 18/15/14 for my highest, so I guess I'll be fine. The race decision is more of an aestheric one. All I need is a race with Darkvision/not small (so I can multiclass into rogue for expertise so I can bamf-grapple everything) and I'm tired of playing elves.
>>
>>51181769
Yeah Eridanus as the name for the Planet, Which the characters won't know, as it's the creating gods which named it, and didn't tell their creations, Al Baid the name of a country or continent, on that planet.
>>
>>51181679
He ain't never gonna know you ripped off an existing setting as long as you're good at changing the names around, but hey, depending on how specific your players want it to be, world building isn't too hard.

Dude recommended a google doc because it's easier to collaborate on that 4chan.
>>
>>51181803
It's a she and all the players so far are family members, and are at least partially familiar with Forgotten realms and I know little about any of the other D&D settings.
Here it is
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1831shFgQGOzyLAamSKCtti8cr6-iw6alyjhLc_50b4I/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>51181789
Don't listen to these fuckers. Have fun and play what you want
>>
>>51181835
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1831shFgQGOzyLAamSKCtti8cr6-iw6alyjhLc_50b4I/edit?usp=sharing updated link I might have screwed it up the first time.
>>
>>51181789
> grapple everything
how? you still couldn't grapple a huge creature, right?
>>
>>51181667
With comprehend languages, you could understand them but you couldn't talk back.
>>
File: vomitgoose.jpg (50KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
vomitgoose.jpg
50KB, 480x270px
>>51181789
Well, if you're
>rolling for stats
And you get good stats, then it's fine. If you had a standard array level of stats or even point buy or lower, you'd be fucked.

Also
>rolling for stats

>>51181960
Even so, it's such a waste. Int is the only ability a paladin is likely to almost never use, they don't need +1 int.
Then, you can already get the key languages you need through backgrounds.
Then, there's hardly any chance of getting to use those languages more than once, and even then somebody else in the party probably already had the language.

It's so horrifically bad unless you're in a campaign where you have the option of simply avoiding combat completely, and you have to justify why in character instead of getting better at doing his duty the paladin's learning the languages of weird, otherworldly creatures.

If you want that sort of flavour, even +2 charisma would be better if you didn't get any other bonuses aside from +1 to all charisma-based skills.
>>
>>51181443
People didn't realize that scroll doesn't cost material component to cast.

Free scroll of Simulacrum every short rest? YES, PLEASE.
>>
>>51181443
If you get to high level, Illusion is extremely good, being able to turn illusions real.
>>
>>51181989
>you're roleplaying wrong
good shit
>>
>>51182035
If you play any class that isn't starved for ASIs or actually uses intellect and get linguist, then fine.

If you go monk or something stupid and then pick linguist, you're probably going to just disappoint everyone that you're not taking the game seriously. One of the sorts of people who levels wizard to 4 then takes a level of monk to represent being in a monastry last week or something.
>>
So hypothetical scenario thats led me to a few questions.

Scenario:
Through some twist of fate and Oathbreaker has managed to use Control Undead on an Mummy Lord.

He does two things, the first: compels it to hand over its Heart. Second: before Compel runs out he uses it again.

Questions are.

>1
As he is in control of the lich at this point, can he force it not to use its advantage against Turning as a psuedo-disadvantage (ie: choose the worse result instead)

>2
Assuming it breaks free at some point, but he is in control of its heart how would you expect it to act / what would you do if you were the Mummy Lord?
>>
>>51181981
The important difference is that it's actually "any spell you know" unlike the Artificer's any spell from the artificer list.
>>
>>51182067
>roleplaying in a roleplaying game
>not taking the game seriously
kek
>>
>>51182114
What? Am I missing something, but it's pretty clear that Artificer (the class) can only use Infuse magic on the spell they already know?

> When you cast an artificer spell with a casting time of 1 action, you can increase its
casting time to 1 minute.

If you don't know the spell, you can't cast it in the fast place, right?
>>
>>51182093
This has made me think about the Control Undead ability.

Can a subject willing fail its Wis save?
>>
>>51182122
Why don't you play a game that doesn't have in-depth combat rules, then?
I'm not sure 5e is for you, even if it does have a decent level of roleplaying to it.
>>
>>51182209
>game provides roleplaying character options
>/tg/ gets mad that anyone who chooses it isn't focusing on combat
>same board that complained about 4e not focusing enough on roleplaying and too much on combat
Please, keep going
>>
>>51176982
>None of the smite spells are worth casting
>Wrathful smite exists.

wew
>>
>>51176982
>>51182369
Wrathful smite is the shit. Not to mention you can Divine Smite and Wrathful Smite on the same attack. I combo both with a Booming Blade on my Sorc/Pally for stupid damage.
>>
>>51182300
The game provides roleplaying options alongside combat options. There are no purely roleplaying classes.

If you said 'I'm not going to fight in any combat or help you in any combat' you'd probably not get a good reception from your group, unless it's a weird sort of group.
>>
File: ZeroRider.png (1MB, 1000x1231px) Image search: [Google]
ZeroRider.png
1MB, 1000x1231px
>>51178461
>Conquest
>>
File: 1481412133461s.jpg (3KB, 117x125px) Image search: [Google]
1481412133461s.jpg
3KB, 117x125px
>>51180916
Not going paladin 6 for aura of protection?

If you are going into to paladin beyond 2 you better go to 6.
>>
>>51182413
Taking the Linguist feat is not equivalent to not participating in combat. You're not advocating for "contributing to the party more," you're mandating that minmaxing, munchkin behavior is the only way to properly play the game.
>>
>>51182474
That's crazy talk. You're talking about devoting like 30% of a full 20 level career to a dip
>>
>>51182491
But it works...if your willing to go 5 levels into paladin then why not take one of their best features for 1 more level.

Assuming you have 20 charisma eventually thats +5 TO ALL SAVING THROWS....and it affects all allied people within 10 feet.

That is totally worth one extra level....what do you gain by going sorcerer 15?...1 sorcery point?.

And yeah the delay sucks but if your gonna multiclass in the first place beyond 2 levels its going to sting....better to bite the bullet and get one of the best defensive buffs in the game.

Also going paladin six counts as 3 levels of a spellcaster for multiclassing so you don't even lose a slot for it.

And at this point its not a dip...its a full blown multiclass that you should invest into for best results
>>
>>51182533
Shit yeah I didn't realize the OP was already talking about 5 levels of pally.
>>
>>51178461
Conqueror: Help establish order.
>>
>>51182483
I'm not saying you have to minmax.
I'm saying you should at least look like you're trying to play the game sensibly.

Even from a roleplaying perspective, you're having the paladin say 'Okay, screw helping my teammates through power and aptitude, I'm going to try getting better at somebody else's job by suddenly learning how to perfectly speak the language of some various creatures.'
It'd be more fun on a roleplay perspective if you asked the DM if you could study a creature's language in your downtime, and maybe half-speak it, and then you can have fun confused conversations.

Almost always, there's no need to sacrifice your combat ability and relevancy in order for 'better roleplaying!'. It's more fun if you take an option that actually makes combat or out of combat more interesting, and honestly I'd say there's a lot more fun to be had taking something that would actually help paladin rather than only help once a blue moon to hear an orc tell you to fuck off. Say, if you had a paladin that's fine with deception, the Actor feat would not only progress charisma but give them much better chances of keeping the party undercover if the entire party suits up in disguises, or to annoy that bard he really hates by talking in the Bard's voice whenever he says something stupid, or even to grunt like an Orc and try to win respect, even if you can't speak their language.

If anything linguist might spoil some fun for the people who already have the languages you're taking.
>>
File: 1482464386891.jpg (22KB, 329x274px) Image search: [Google]
1482464386891.jpg
22KB, 329x274px
>>51181989
>not rolling 3d6 straight down for stats
>>
>>51182631
Anyone who rolls stats but doesn't do it in order is a faggot.

This is my firm belief.
>>
>>51182631
>not 3d6, roll d6 to determine which stat is assigned
>>
>>51182669
>roll 3d6, roll d6 to determine where the stat goes. If the stat would be assigned where there is already a stat, it replaces the original stat, no matter if it was lower or higher. This continues until all 6 stats are filled, and then the player has the choice of rolling one more 3d6 and assigning it by 1d6 if they wish.
>>
Anyway, I'm trying to create an anagonist party for my players to eventually overcome. An oathbreaker/tomelock, an assassin rogue, a deathbloom druid, a bladesinger/EK and a war cleric, all level 9-ish.
So, when's the best time to multiclass oathbreaker into warlock? lvl6? lvl4? Should I add sorcerer in the mix?
>>
What happens if you reintroduce the material from the playtest back into the game?
Or are the mechanics too different from each other now?
>>
>>51182679
I'm going to do this, and as long as I end up with 12 or higher Charisma, it'll be a goblin Wild Magic Sorcerer.

Booyagh Booyagh Booyagh, motherfuckers.
>>
>>51182719
Are you talking about the D&D Next playtest? What sort of material?
>>
>>51182730
Yeah, fighter and sorcerer material most of all.
>>
>>51177452
Unarmed fighting Style, monks also get this for free.

Add proficiency to damage with unarmed attack.
>>
You guys got me to watch Acq Inc. Goddamn Wil Wheaton, why the fuck is he so obnoxious? Can he not be the center of attention at all?
>>
So one of my players has the whole, someone killed my family I gotta go find him back story. The problem is I want to run skt. Is there a good point to insert mystery murderer somewhat late in the module? or should I cuck him and never give him the guy.
>>
New thread
>>51182480
>>51182480
>>51182480
>>51182480
>>
>>51179337

I'd go Rogue or moon druid if I were you.
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.