[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 394
Thread images: 43

File: 1475147620316.jpg (94KB, 383x906px) Image search: [Google]
1475147620316.jpg
94KB, 383x906px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51176847

What's the rarest class and specialization in your experience? Never once seen a thief rogue, myself.
>>
First for 8 INT wizards are viable
>>
File: Decidueye.jpg (118KB, 850x448px) Image search: [Google]
Decidueye.jpg
118KB, 850x448px
>>51182480
>What's the rarest class and specialization in your experience?

Even when allowing the UA remade version, I almost never see people play rangers. The people who want to play nature'ish characters go for druids. The people who want to play stealth characters go for rogues. The people who want to play archers just go for Fighter. Ranger still sucks and/or has an identity crisis I guess.
>>
>>51182518
Are there really enough spells without save DCs or attack rolls to make that work?
>>
Any good magic items for 400gp? I'm an Open Hand Monk.
>>
>>51182588
No damaging cantrips but plenty of good fun there anyway.
Magic Missile
Shield
False Life
Jump
Sleep
---
Blur
Darkness
Darkvision
Invisibility
Misty Step
---
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Fly
Haste
Protection from energy

Just skimming spell lists here, I think maybe it might be a thing, you'd just have to be selective, good at some other kind of damage dealing and sacrifice that you are shit in combat sometimes.
>>
>>51182752
Why ask us? Generally what magic items you'll have access to are completely dependent on the DM. You should never plan a character build around the idea that you'll be able to simply buy a particular magic item.
>>
>>51182819
Is there any real point other than for fun? It seems like a great RP but practically speaking any good stats would be better off used in other wizard variations.

Might do it anyways
>>
1d6+Dex is worth more than 2d6, right? Trying to figure out if I should go deeper into fighter for the second attack, or stick with rogue for more sneak attack dice.
>>
>>51182752
If you can even find magic items for sale at all, the only ones that would be that cheap are potions of healing, maybe potions of climbing, and scrolls of level 0-1.
>>
>>51182872
The problem with fighter/rogues is that you can't Sneak Attack more than once a round. More attacks do increase the chance that you will hit at least once and get to apply those dice, though.
>>
>>51182888
Oh right, that too. If I miss my first attack I still get a second chance. Guess I'm going for the second attack then, it'll be slightly more damage per round if I hit reliably and it'll make my sneak attack more reliable to boot.
>>
>>51182518
You can't cast spells if your spellcasting ability modifier is less than 0
>>
>>51182925
>>51182518

>what is Rincewind
>>
>>51182925
Please post your source.
>>
Never played D&D and I wanna play a caster. My group has a Paladin, a Bard/Warlock and a Rogue. Should I go with Wizard, Warlock or Sorcerer? What are their actual, pratical differences?
>>
>>51182819
>>51182856
You forgot stuff like Animate Dead and Animate Objects. For cantrips there are stuff like Booming Blades and Greenflame Blades.
>>
>>51182999
Warlock spell list is more about curse, debuff and mind manipulation.
>>
>>51182925
Where does it say this? I've never seen anything to this effect in 5e.
>>
>>51182999
Wizard: Generally the best caster with the most options, but sorta complicated to learn and play. I don't really recommend for a first-time player.

Sorcerer: Essentially a simpler wizard. You have less spells to work with, but you can cast any spell you know at any time, you don't have to worry about preparation or selecting your "loadout" for the day.

Warlock: Warlock is a "lite" caster. Their spells are weaker than both a wizard and sorcerer's, but recharge on a short rest (which in game terms is about 15 minutes) rather than the long rest (8 hours) that wizards and sorcerers need to recharge their spells.
I REALLY don't recommend Warlock to new players, because essentially you'll be relegated to spamming Eldritch Blast like a automated turret unless you really know what you're doing with your class build.
>>
>>51182999
Wizard is mainly a "controlling" type caster. You'll put down effects that buff your allies or incapacitate your enemies. Your damage is mediocre.
Warlock is a blaster caster. If you build a bladelock you'll do great damage, but a basic warlock with Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast is still great. You don't really get any buff spells, but you have several good debuffs.
Sorcerer isn't as flexible as wizard, but can use sorcery points to raise or lower the levels of spell slots and use metamagic to make their spells more potent.
>>
>>51182999
Bard is also a caster in 5e.
For a new player, though, I'd recommend Draconic Sorcerer. It's reliable and the easiest caster to learn.
>>
>>51183046
>They can cast any spell you know at any time

And yet the wizard can have more spells prepared than the sorcerer can even know (and can cast unprepared spells as a ritual).
You're sugarcoating it a bit there.

>>51182999
Wizard is strong if you know what you're doing, but it's probably the hardest to learn.
Sorcerer and warlock are simpler, and as a new player you won't lose out by not going wizard.

Like the other anon suggested, I'd probably recommend warlock if you're new. Casters aren't the most newbie-friendly, but at least warlocks have a good cantrip attack.
>>
>>51182999
Wizards are masters of everything, but generally focus on one school of magic. They have the ability to learn every spell in the game if they can find copies of them, but have to prepare a limited number to cast from each day.
Warlocks only have about 2-3 spell slots for most of their career, but they refresh them on a short rest instead of a long rest. They can also learn other spells that they can cast at will through their invocations. They also have the most consistent and highest damaging attack cantrip in the game. They're very modular and allow for a lot of options in how to build.
Sorcerers have a smaller pool of spells and spells known than the wizard, but their access to metamagic means that they can enhance and modify these spells on the fly, and their magical bloodlines give them extra themed traits.

Warlocks are your nerdy, book smart casters that are masters of utility and combat prowess through study and patience.
Warlocks made a deal with the devil to obtain their power, and receive invocations and boons from their patrons that make them incredibly customizable and great for burst damage when needed.
Sorcerers have magic in their blood which makes them natural casters, and this inborn affinity for magic allows them to reshape spells on the fly.

Don't forget that all of these have a number of non-traditional build options that are viable (they can all be built for melee combat, for example) and also that Clerics, Druids, and bards are also full casters.
>>
>>51182972
A Rogue fluffed to look and be completely like a Wizard, with lots of ranks in Use Magic Device or the 5e equivalent thereof.
>>
File: 1461616282457.jpg (359KB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1461616282457.jpg
359KB, 933x1352px
>>51182999
Wizards are pretty much the kingpin of the 3: they get the most available spells, biggest spell list, more spell slots than any other class and can cast rituals without having to prepare them which makes for an insane amount of options. They also get the most choices for archetype and most of them are legitimately good (abjuration and divination are my personal favourites) and are pretty much the only class that can be good at INT skills. Sorcerer is a bit more niche, since they rely on metamagic to spice up their staggeringly small spell pool. They're certainly fun to play (especially with wild magic) and charisma is something every party needs but they're lose out on a lot of versatility for their metamagics and extra cantrip. Warlocks are the wildcard, since most of their power comes from invocations. Combining the huge eldritch blast damage with the at-will spells and tome cantrips/rituals means warlocks are more consistent. Their pact magic system means their spells are always beefy but you need to rest every now and again. With the right build and a bit of luck you might come close to the wizard's utility, but it's all about style.

TL;DR if you have no preference pick wizard.
>>
>>51183118
>if you have no preference pick wizard
I would advise against this for a first-time player. I picked wizard the first time I played, and the sheer amount of spells and options available overwhelmed me. I'd recommend warlock or sorcerer.
>>
>>51183098
It's not sugarcoating, it's simply that Sorcerers don't have to deal with preparing spells, which is a nice step to cut out for a new player who's learning the game.

I have to protest the suggestion to go Warlock though. Yes, they have a good cantrip... and thats about it. Getting anything more out of the class requires some pretty intimate knowledge of the game, otherwise you're just left with a spell list that more limited than both the Wizard and the Sorcerer's and so few spell slots that you won't really be able to stretch them out well over any encounter bigger than a skirmish.
>>
File: Drow Sorc.png (459KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Drow Sorc.png
459KB, 667x1000px
>>51183139
>>51183173
This, Sorcerer is infinitely less overwhelming and more straighforward.

Pick Draconic Sorcerer, pick spells that match your favored element, proceed to blast things, pick up meta-magic that makes you better at blasting things. Simple.
>>
>>51183173
Well, now I think about it, a dragon sorcerer gets 13+DEX armour and +1 HP a level, so they're just as good in terms of defence as a warlock.

Part of the deal is that having half-decent AC and health in comparison to the wizard is good, because a newbie might put themself in a dangerous position unwittingly.

The problem is if the sorcerer wastes all their spells, they won't get to do much combat-wise. If the warlock does, they still have a pretty good attack option (though at level 1 it's not really better much than a firebolt) and they get their spells back after a short rest, so they can feel free to splash out on spellcasting a bit.

I suppose sorcerer is probably easier since there's not the invocation faff and all that, but..
I suppose they're close enough that I'd recommend either sorcerer or warlock, depends on what kind of character the player wants.
>>
>>51182972
A product of a setting with actual Vancian casting instead of D&D-style spell slots.
>>
File: 9183.png (115KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
9183.png
115KB, 300x300px
Stat me, /5eg/
>>
>>51183189
Do not fall into the trap that all dragon sorcerers fall into - you know, the one where you pick nothing but fire spells every chance you get. You need relatively few damage spells, as many of them are redundant or worse than even your lower-level options, and a sorcerer's best asset it casting big high-impact utility spells and twinning them.
>>
>So one of my players has the whole, someone killed my family I gotta go find him back story. The problem is I want to run skt. Is there a good point to insert mystery murderer somewhat late in the module? or should I cuck him and never give him the guy.
>>
How do we fix sneaking in DnD?
it's fucking boring. theres not real way to make it feel tactical rather than something you should do at all times because why wouldn't you.

hiding in darkness and half cover sucks jumbo dick because you can either abuse the same spot over and over or you can't because the enemy has aoe. theres no inbetween.

I played as a rouge and was amused to while fooling stupid kolbods, but when I started fooling everyone just because I have advantage on stealth when half speed and +9 stealth it makes it really boring. just hide and attack each turn.

how do we make DnD feel like caution mode in MGS?
>>
>>51183255
Sure, when you're good at the game. If you're a beginner you're playing a caster because you wana blast stuff.
>>
>>51183309
You can't.
Also, sneak has varying degrees of success depending on GM.

I've had a GM who was favourable towards sneak, I've also had GM's who insists on the underdark being brightly lit so I couldn't sneak.

Go figure.
>>
You guys got me to watch Acq Inc. Goddamn Wil Wheaton, why the fuck is he so obnoxious? Can he not be the center of attention at all?
>>
What happens if you reintroduce the material from the playtest back into the game?
Or are the mechanics too different from each other now?

Fighter and sorcerer material most of all.
>>
I don't know what to play. I usually prefer rolling for stats because then I have fewer options to choose from, but this time my DM decided we're doing point buy.
I don't have much of a preference because I'm still new to D&D, I just want something fun. My group consists of a rogue, a bard and a paladin. What do I do?
>>
>>51183346
IIRC, his character gets dissolved in acid one session in and he never comes back.
>>
>>51183406
He keeps screaming about it and not letting it go. He keeps screaming his full name in people's faces when someone calls him Al. He has no inside voice and keeps driving unfunny jokes into the ground.
He should chill the fuck out.
>>
>>51183309
For stealth to work in a tabletop game, it needs to be a game focused on Stealth. The same is kinda true of almost any skill in DnD, they'll all simplified for the sake of quick and efficient play in a game with multiple skills at play.
>>
>>51183401
Your party sounds like it needs fireballs. Be a wizard or a Light domain cleric.
>>
>>51182556
Weird. We had two rangers in our last campaign and it looks like we'll have one in this next one.

I put a lot of energy into giving them Rangery things to do, maybe that's why.
>>
>>51183437
Why did you pick the episode with him in it? Aren't there like 20 without him at this point?
>>
>>51183406
He came back and he's fucking annoying. The dude is 40.
>>
>>51183465
I'm binging all the videos. Which is probably the worst idea.
>>
Are any of your players banned from certain races or classes or builds?

I have a player who is banned from Bards and Rogues because he's a great serious player as anything else and a joke character dickthief whenever he plays one of those two.

I can't entirely blame him, since Vicious Mockery exists, and the Rogue's flavor text in the PHB says "dickthief" over and over again instead of "stealthy dextrous guy".
>>
>>51183346
Damn, I actually liked the podcast that he first showed up in. I will concede however that he did milk that name shit for way too long after they finished Tower of Goldenhawk
>>
>>51183307
Anyone? Would putting as one of orcs that attack night stone be too early for something like that? or should I put the killer somewher in one of the cities that the giants attack in chapter 2? idk how early or late a backstory character should show up.
>>
>>51183536
He gets too shitty and too angry at people who shorten his name to Al. What the fuck is up with that. Goddamn dude, chill.
>>
File: magicmonkey.png (2MB, 1025x684px) Image search: [Google]
magicmonkey.png
2MB, 1025x684px
I'm going to work.
When I get back I better see some hot builds for a level 5 Awakened Mystic.
You will be graded on your performance.
>>
>>51183440
this is a fair point, but unlike acrobatics which is used to avoid damage or theives tools which is used to unlock shit, sneaking is primary for wining fights and if you're a rogue then it's you whole kit.

theres such an expansive system on magic, and duel wielding and even weapons mastery. stealth should be just as extensive. rogues, rangers and to a lesser extent bards and other less tanky classes all rely on this to varying degrees. a rogues power shouldn't be based on the DM's personal opinion while druid is pretty much objective.
>>
>>51182999

Heres some good advice

Wizard-The Wizard can do anything you need them do and all they need is to find the spells they need and plan ahead accordingly. This caster has the highest ceiling for spellcasters and the archetypes can be amazing especially with Diviner Illusionist or Necromancer.Thers a few DM-specific problems that might pop up on finding spells but otherwise your good

Socerors-Your a shitty Wizard with bad archetypes meant to do dumb shit like blast with elements there are like 3 spells for.The saving grace is becoming a one trick pony with your small spell lists by manipulating hem with Metamagic.A Stink cloud that your party automatically saves against will get you much better results than spamming Ice Storm. Its not bad if you can do that but you might get bored once you have done every trick

Warlock-This is a steaky DM dependent class.If you get a lot of short rests and your DM is willing to let you get a Rod of the Pact Keeper then you can be king debuffer with an above the curve save DC and autoscaling spells. If not you are an eldritch blast turret. You can also blow all your class features to be a mediocre melee combatant
>>
5e has some pretty aesthetic statblocks, not gonna lie.
>>
>>51183473
Wil isn't annoying because he's 40; he's annoying because he's Wil. He was annoying when he was 20, and the other players are 40ish and not annoying.
>>
>>51183663
His point was that he's too old to be acting like an autistic five year old.

I assume.
>>
File: 82946.jpg (26KB, 434x339px) Image search: [Google]
82946.jpg
26KB, 434x339px
Is she an Artificer?
>>
>>51183522
I should probably ban one of my players from playing casters because he can't imagine any course of action other than charging them and full attacking. Once when his barbarian was away sulking in his tent (his idea,) I had him take over the sorcerer of an absent player. He kept trying to grapple people. He spent 3 turns trying to climb a wall when his character sheet clearly had at least three spells that would help him get over it.
>>
>>51183663
Zing.
The other players are good and don't lose their cool all the time, won't loudly shit on everyone and everything, and would apologize for being disruptive.
>>
This Alchemist was pretty good, have anyone of you picked up 5e Reforged? It's from the same guy so I might buy it but I'm cautious about picking stuff up before I've already read them.
>>
>>51183672
Zing!
>>
>>51183701
Dawnforgedcast is a fuck, don't encourage his shit.
>>
>>51183307
>>51183537
Why not have the orcs or whatever that attacked his family be controlled by fire or frost giants? His family's murder doesn't have to be included in the story you're telling, you could have him be trying to track down the group. Track them to Triboar maybe?
>>
>>51182715
>>51182715
>>51182715

Any advice?
>>
>>51183672
You never grow out of autism.
>>
>>51183701
He copied Pathfinder shit. Don't buy it, save your money for someone who isn't a lying shit.
>>
>>51182999
Don't pick warlock, it has 2 spellslots until level fucking 11. Invocations and shitty at-wills are not worth it.
>>
>>51183749
That's what I was thinking, in his backstory he said the man he was tracking was about 6'3" and that's all he knows. So that fits orc pretty well
>>
File: 1456234350538.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456234350538.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>51183750
> Using PC rules for creating NPCs
>>
>>51183813
You could also make the bad guy a zhentarim agent, which I recommend especially if a fellow party member is a zhent too
>>
File: strat3_00a.jpg (155KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
strat3_00a.jpg
155KB, 1440x900px
My next session will be focused around the PCs searching for someone in a burning/collapsing building.

I assume it will be like a combat encounter with restricted movement and turns, but what other mechanics can I introduce to make it more exciting?
>>
>>51183606
Sneaking is just as good for rogue as anyone, really, unless it's an assassin. Assassins are mostly intended to get use out of the 'advantage on first turn' ability anyway... Probably.

See, a surprise round is really good stuff. If you surprise all the enemy's, it's an entire free turn with bonuses, which is wonderful. But you need your team's cooperation.

>>51183401
I'm afraid your party has pretty much everything it needs, so you can go do whatever.

Maybe try a wolf barbarian or UA ranger or warlock.
>>
>just want to run through the DM's world and watch my influence butterfly effect

>don't want to explore my character's backstory or deal with plot hooks in it
>don't want to deal with anyone else's backstory either
>don't want to acquire land or an army or a kingdom
>don't want to just murderhobo everything
>>
>>51183173
Oh come on, preparing spells isn't as bad as it was in 3e.
Just keep 1 spammable spell per level (low-level spells powered up are good too), 1 combat Concentration buff or battlefield control spell (not per level, just 1 is enough), and then go crazy with the others.
>>
>>51183750
Oathbreaker's main features are at 6 (+Saves everywhere), 7 (OP +damage feature), 8 (Charisma which fuels pretty much all the abilities),9 (Spell slots) and 11.
8 wouldn't be a bad time to multiclass, but 11 makes sure you're not missing out on anything when you multiclass. 7 is the absolute minimum, multiclassing before then is just silly because fucking seriously +CHA damage to 3, if not 4 attacks a PAM Paladin will make every round.

Also see >>51183828
>>
I take it that artificers can't stack swiftness elixirs in order to become Fry after 100 cups of coffee.

>After his fifteenth sipp of the day, Bink Tweekeyes, gnome artificer, dies of cardiac arrhythmia
>>
>>51183870
Yeah. I feel backstory is overvalued.

The real cool stuff is world development you're involved in. You get a job to help secure a temple used to teleport between previously unconnceted continents, and trade routes, even a whole city starts to spring up around it.
>>
>>51183309
Have the whole party stealthing around (easier than you'd think, those fucking cloaks of elvenkind!), or accept that as a rogue your combat routine is either hidden sniping, or collecting quest items while hidden.
If your DM is good, he'll make sure there are enough things to do during combat other than killing the other guy.
>>
What's wrong with using PC rules to create NPCs?
>>
>>51183852
that was the other option I was thinking. How much interaction with non giants will the PC's have? or is it all giant after the story gets going? I need to get to reading the rest of the book, I've only just started chapter 3 in reading. We are planning on starting next thursday x.x
>>
>>51183911
I don't see anything that says you can't, but you probably aren't intended to be able to.
Not that you can stack more than 2 together without multiple artificers.
>>
>>51183638
>Socerors-Your a shitty Wizard with bad archetypes
What is a Favored Soul?
>>
>>51183701
The UA artificer is a lot, lot better.
>>
>>51183931
Nothing really, if it's an enemy who is designed to provide a challenge for the PCs in combat. But as an actual companion NPC, he can easily overshadow the party.
>>
>>51183931
The main problems are that it takes a long time for little payoff, and also that it doesn't work well in practice. NPCs are built to have a lot more HP than their PC counterparts, just so they can survive more than one round. And because their expected lifespan is so short, they have no use for many of the abilities that PCs get.
>>
>>51183931
They tenu to be more glass cannon-ey, it makes the players to be less special (Look, there are people like you all over the place! And they hate your guys!) and they probably don't get played as intelligently as they should do. Also some of their gimmicks might be more annoying to the players and it tends to be more a fight of enemy power than enemy cunning-traps-and-environment. Also I guess attachment issues. Maybe. I feel there's something i'm forgetting.

Otherwise, they're probably fine.
>>
>>51183931
>>51183973
The same thing that is wrong with PvP.
It's become a rocket tag. Since all PC are high damage and low health when compare to monsters.
>>
>>51183939
I'm actually running the story right now, and that's a yes and a no.

After chapter 3 when the players meet Harshnag, most of the major plot points will be dealing with giants. However, as you'll come to find out while running the story there is a metric ton of traveling. You'll go from town to town and all those travel days in the wilderness will have encounters for your players. It would be boring for them to just roll into Giant after Giant after Giant, so I like to mix it up a little. Throw in some barbarian raids, maybe a young dragon, etc. so they don't get burnt out. Make sure about every other or maybe every 3 encounters is a Giant though to keep the mood right

I would absolutely advise you read the book cover to cover, but since you're a little pressed for time, chapter 3 isn't that important to cover. I'd read the parts you think you'll encounter and skip the rest. The other chapters are more important to have down pat
>>
>>51183955

Something I didnt bring up since its UA and I dont think it fixes the problem of the basic class as much as it gives a melee option that doesnt quite suck as much as Bladelock
>>
I hate the spell slot system so much
>>
>>51184080
Use spell point system instead?
or you could try mystic
>>
>>51184080
My main problems with it are that it makes me feel conservative and save stuff up and that if your DM doesn't pace the game properly casters either don't get enough rests or get too many rests. Also, at low levels, spellcasters don't really get a lot, yet at high levels they're left with so much. Also multiclassing losing spellcasting levels on half/third casters is just stupid. Also fuck level 9 spells.

I enjoy Artificer with the way the alchemist's abilities work.
>>
>>51184045
I can probably get it read before then desu. I dont do anything besides be here on my time off of work so yeah...
Less 4chins more reading and i'll manage
>>
>>51184080
But 5e doesn't use spell slots...
>>
>>51184176
u wot m8
>>
>>51183599
There is not a whole lot of builds for a lvl 5 mystic, not until the class is finished I think. Multiclassing obviously seems like a shit idea, mainly because 5th level milestone boosts your number of pps from 17 to 27 (which is a shitton, compared to a 3 point increase from level 3 to level 4) AND it increases your psi limit from 3 to 5.
It just boils down to what disciplines to pick. I just think Mind Vault is kind of too good to pass if you don't have a bard in your party. It's just heaps of utility.
In terms of races there are plenty of options that give you INT (some of which are pretty cheesy, like the feral winged tiefling), but if you're planning on staying at range I would honestly consider either variant Human with Magic Initiate for eldritch blast, High Elf (fuck it though, knife ears are disgusting) for firebolt or Fire Genasi for Produce Flame. Why? Because if I'm not terribly misunderstanding something, your offensive talents aka psi-cantrips suck really really hard. I mean, 1d8 damage, fully negated by a successful INT save? Only thing thought spear has going for it is range it seems.
On the other hand, you can ignore the fact that you've chosen the wrong subclass and go melee. Pick something like a fucking minotaur for +1 str/int and be a psychic cow, or be a boring ass bitch and go for a high elf with booming blade/gfb, which is probably more optiomal and doesn't make you into a MAD monster. Aside from Mind Vault (which is awesome), pick Psionic Restoration, Intellect Fortress (which is FREE disadvantages for just 1 pp, and you have whopping 27 of them at lvl 5) and Mind over Emotion for CC.
>>
>>51184176
Are you retarded?
>>
The Artificer seems really underwhelming.
>>
What do you do with a player who doesn't care about his character?

He just wants to roleplay as "himself, but a wizard", or whatever. Getting him to write a backstory is like pulling teeth.
>>
>>51184357
You don't do anything.
>>
>>51184344
>no explanations
OK.
>>
>>51184357
Make him roleplay himself.
If he dies in the game, he dies in real life.
>>
>>51184376
Just doesn't seem exciting or interesting to me.

Sell it to me. The robot bear and gun seem cool but the gun seems underwhelming for an entire class line
>>
>>51184392

>>No not Blackleaf
>>
>>51184400
>sell it to me
Nah
>>
Anyone got the ulfric the dense 8 int conjurer copypasta?
>>
>>51184418
It would be better if we could make any wonderous item as long as we put the time gold and xp into it
>>
>>51184400
Which class is your favorite? What kind of class feature do you find to be interesting?
>>
>>51184357
Is this his first game? If so, just let him do it and get a feel for it. He'll likely be more interested in experimenting afterwards.
>>
>>51184400
Why should we? You already have reached your own autistic conclusion based on subjective nonsense.
>>
>>51184437
No. They intentionally avoid that 3.pf mess.
>>
>>51184400
Fuck off.
>>
>>51184357
Make it the butt of a joke. Introduce NPC after NPC who care about this guy's character and only this guy's character. Effectively make up his backstory for him, and do it in a way that he never would have intended. Litter the world with his bastard children, spurned lovers, and rivals swearing vengeance.
>>
>>51184400

Your dub dubs compel me

Your a Skill Monkey Half-caster with a mid-level power spike in your pet a few free magic items that arent DM compliant and an amazing capstone. Gunsmith is a little meh but Alchemist can function as a solid supporter and BFCer as well as having uber-contrips for damage at shortish range.

Im going to be running an Alchemist this weekend like that. Im grabbing Mounted Combat and putting Barding on my Robot to keep it alive I got Healer Herbalism Kit and healing draughts and I think its gonna work out
>>
>>51184400
I agree that it's a bit underwhelming but it's a great foundation for expanding the idea and making it more mechanically interesting
>>
>>51183255
Quickened fireball then twinned haste.
You've just won a fight.
>>
How viable is Moon Druid/Monk?
Also how viable is Druid in general?
>>
>>51184492
> Put barding on robot
A friendly reminder that, unless you're using a variant warhorse as a base. Your robot won't have armor proficiency.
>>
>>51184547
Moon druid is great at low levels, dips down but then picks back up at the later ones.
>>
>>51184533
> cheating at play pretend game
You can only cast cantrip if you also cast a bonus action spell on that round.

>>51184547
Druid are very viable. Being a 9th caster with extra flexibility via Wild Shape. Druid/Monk is.... okay? They are weaker than pure druid though.
>>
>>51184591
>You can only cast cantrip if you also cast a bonus action spell on that round.
What page? Even still, just doing one of the two is enough to win a fight. Twinned haste especially.
>>
>>51184400
That's because the gun isn't a whole class, it's a subclass. I can't believe how often people get the two confused.

Different classes delegate different kinds and amounts of material to their respective subclasses. In the artificer's case, the subclasses dictate the equivalent of damage cantrips. And since the artificer is mostly a support and utility character rather than a single-target damage beast, the artificer's damage options will be on roughly the same power level as a cleric's damage options, which are less than those of a fighter or wizard.
>>
>>51184675
PHB 202
>>
>>51184675
PHB 202
>>
>>51184675
This >>51184695 >>51184698
Next time you saw a guy trying to cast Healing Word and Cure Wound in the same round to save his party member, call him a him a cheating faggot and smack him in the face with PHB page 202.
>>
>>51184693
The gun itself is disappointing. Why can't they make the gun magical but the bullets magical too so you can craft different effects into the bullets?

Both subclasses are disappointing. Compare it to a bard subclass or even a warlock subclass
>>
>>51184754
This. I want a caster gun, damnit.

I can already craft spell effects. Let me combine the two somehow.
>>
>>51184780
refluff dude
>>
>>51184567

Ah crapbaskets I completely overlooked that.I got nothing in mind except maybe Elven chain barding for a tiny AC boost
>>
>>51184754
>>51184780
While reading through alchemist and knowing gunslinger was next, I figured that gunsmith would get different magic bullets that they could choose from similar to alchemist recipes. Dissapointed in that aspect While I still liked the different shot types, you won't get at least half of them over the course of most campaigns. Would like to see different ammo types (maybe similar to arcane archer) or the shots we do have being accessible earlier in a weaker form
>>
>>51184754
>>51184780

Um, you can do exactly that. Thunder Monger, Blast Wave, Piercing Round, and Explosive Round are all different effects you can produce with your magic bullets.

You idiots who always ask "how do I gish" have some kind of hysterical blindness to the options right in front of you.
>>
>>51182556
Most people i met who play a ranger go with it as bounty hunters.

I personally like to multiclass the last UA ranger hunter with monk cause the bonus from favoured enemy against humanoids is just great on a class that has lots of attacks as well as dueling being a good fighting style on monks and the lvl 3 hunter feature granting another damage boost so they can measure up to other martials.
>>
>>51184693

What IS the support/utility of the artificer? That all seems to be in the Alchemist subclass (And even then, Alchemical Acid is basically on par with the cannon for damage) and the mechanical companion has no actual scaling to it (And since it's REQUIRED to be Large, there are entire swathes of adventure one couldn't go on).

The spell list is full of fun situational spell but that's part of the issue, situational. Very few of them are ones that would benefit from Infuse Magic...and even, then being limited to 4th level spell slots means they are rather meh on the spell front.

There doesn't seem much it can do other than "Wear magic items, hoping the GM gives you ones you want'. I wonder how many actual magic Thunder Cannons are lying about.

Not who you are arguing with but the artificer is a bit underwhelming imo. I'd have really have given it some ability actually trade out the magic items it's made or replace destroyed ones. As you won't want to keep a bag of holding once you have a handy haversack for instance and a single robbery means you've permanently lost a class feature.

Honestly, my biggest annoyance with it is that it still doesn't actually work for the idea of Ebberon. Ebberon was a setting about low level characters and plentiful minor magic items. But the Artificer is limited to only a single magic item for each level. The items they have available are all minor enough that I don't think it would have remotely broke the game to let them pick one of the items from that list they can reproduce more than once.
>>
>>51184903
What is it about the letters "berr" that so consistently confuse stupid people? Seems like nobody can correctly spell "Eberron" or "aberration." I'm surprised I don't see more people spell it "Goodbbery."
>>
What's the optimum Druid build using the point buy system? What if I'm going Stout Halfling?
>>
>>51184870

The issue is at no point do the effects from that class A) Give you a magic weapon B) Magic your weapon count as magic.

So your entire class feature and all it's special attacks are going to rely on burning your very, very few spells on Magic Weapon at lot of the time.

For a 'deadly firearm using a combination of arcane magic and your knowledge of engineering and metallurgy.' it really should have gotten 'Counts as a magic weapon' at some point.
>>
>>51184926

My apologies. 2am.

Still, my overall point stands.
>>
>>51184903
Aside from making items for the party, they can heal, infuse, raise the dead, and take some heat off of the party's front line with their robot friend. They probably should have been at least half-casters rather than third-casters, but the theme and role of the artificer has always been that of support.
>>
File: hh.jpg (2MB, 3137x4114px) Image search: [Google]
hh.jpg
2MB, 3137x4114px
>>51184933
the optimum build is the one that is the most fun for you, anon
>>
>>51184903
Free identify. Free magic item.
>>
>>51184961

The issue is that as 1/3 casters and with a non-scaling robot they really kinda blow at all of those. Cure Wounds relies heavily on higher level spell slots for it's healing and 4th level casters don't get those spell slots for ages.

I think part of my issue is that Infuse Magic would be a great class feature...if they had spellcasting worth a damn. But it's got very little synergy with a 4th level caster.
>>
>>51184941
Probably an oversight, but a very minor one considering how you can very easily make the gun do thunder damage instead of piercing damage and therefore bypass all damage resistance. There's probably some monster out there with thunder resistance, but I can't think of it.
>>
>>51184933
If you want to be halfling, at least go with ghostwise halfling.

My current moon druid is a half-elf with 8 12 14 14 16 14 stats array.
>>
Wonder how well Artificer 2(Gunsmith)/Rogue 18 would go. The 2d6 base damage on the cannon seems like it would remove any worries about losing sneak attack. You can also get expertise with both stealth and thieves tools that way.
>>
>>51185010
Mearl said that since the bullet has magical origin, it should count as magical damage.
>>
>>51185033

Well, lets hope they include that in the next version as most players can't really chase down dev comments with the forums gone.
>>
>>51184933
The optimum Druid maxes out his Wis.
Everything else is secondary.

Maybe dip into monk if you want extra survivability.
>>
>>51183046
>Sorcerer
>simpler
>you don't have to worry about preparation or selecting your "loadout"
No, you just have to worry about selecting your spells for your entire life. Wizards are definitely more new player friendly.
>>
>>51184941
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/818582295116292096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>
>>51185026
Now that sounds pretty cool actually.
>>
>>51185068
You can swap out a spell each time you gain a level. That helps a lot.

It's counter-intuitive, but more options can actually make a thing harder to use.Explain the mechanics of a wizard to a new player and listen for the faint whimpering sound that will ensue.
>>
How do you guys feel about random encounters killing a PC?
>>
File: 1353284412652.png (283KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
1353284412652.png
283KB, 334x393px
>>51185068
>Wizards are definitely more new player friendly.

Get a load of this guy

Have you ever even played a wizard?

Its the least new player friendly class in the game
>>
>>51185026
Why not gunsmith 3/Rogue 17? You wouldn't lose any Sneak Attack dice, and you'd get spells and an extra damage die from Thunder Monger.
>>
>>51185109
>using random encounters in current year
>>
>>51185133
Well, they're used. Can't really do much about it.
>>
>>51185086

It's a very out of the way ruling.
>>
>>51185145
Well, UA rulings don't get put into Sage Advice or the official errata until they're official publications. This is a playtest after all and they're usually slapped together and unrefined.
>>
>>51183953
Abilities with the same name don't stack. It's in errata.
>>
>>51185129

Maybe yeah. The exact levels is something I'm pondering.

Hmm...need to check over the rogue subclasses to see which one would work best for this sniper.
>>
>>51185026
You lost your bonus action economy to reload.
>>
>>51182556
Strange, I always have at least 1 person gaming to be an archer and when they see "ranger" they just jump on it.

Knowing PHB ranger was kinda crap I let my player switch to UA one and he fucking loves it.
>>
Never dm'd before

Played... 4 sessions with our old DM who was disinterested and did the thunder giant campaign and got to ch1

Now on Sunday I'll DM with 3 players

Do I want to do a one shot campaign.. or start a new one? If so.. which ones?
>>
>>51183681
Yes.
>>
>>51183050
>If you build a bladelock you'll do great damage, but a basic warlock with Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast is still great.
u fockin wot
>>
File: Sidharth Chaturvedi - Barbarian.png (444KB, 622x894px) Image search: [Google]
Sidharth Chaturvedi - Barbarian.png
444KB, 622x894px
What exactly is this style of robe called?

Leatherworker here trying to make....whatever this fur-lined robe thingy is for a client. What is it called exactly (if not a sleeveless robe). Trying to find a pattern or something similar.
>>
>>51185226

Yeah but a ranged rogue doesn't have a heap of use for Dashing compared to a melee one.
>>
>>51185205
Arcane Trickster, probably. The spell slots would combine so that you could cast more and higher-quality Cure Wounds in an emergency. Thief or Swashbuckler would be a waste since you need to use your bonus action to reload the gun
>>
>>51185240
Start with something like Lost Mines of Phandelver. If you've never DMed before, don't go all into a custom, homebrewed adventure.
>>
>>51183681

Fluffwise? Yes

Ruleswise, not at all. The artificer doesn't really have a minion-master build yet and the pet is a single large beast.

You'd be better off going Warlock for a flying small sized pet.
>>
>>51185262
A coat?
>>
>>51185282
>>51185240
Seconding this.

Use the premade characters if the players are also new, don't bother if they're not.
>>
>>51185240
Try looking in DMSguild. There should be a few campaign one shot game under "pay what you want".

>>51185255
Bladelock with polearm master and GWM and level 12++ can actually do good damage.... if they can hit...
>>
>>51185282
Trial by fire I say.
>>
>>51185319
>level 12++
nice meme
>>
>>51185272
Ranged rogue usually use hide brah.
>>
If an artificer loses his magic items from class features, does he have the ability to make them again? It mentions it for the gun/pet but I can't see anything about the magic items.
>>
>>51185338

Point taken. I guess I'd lose out on the ability to actually GET sneak attack at range.

That kinda really sucks.
>>
>>51185348
Nope. Not unless he takes the time to craft another normally.
>>
>>51185348
Mike Mearls says no on twitter. They should really change it to a temporary enchantment that can be refreshed at the end of a long rest on the same or a new item to prevent this issue.
>>
>>51185118
I'm not a new player, so I can't really judge but I've seen new players trying sorcerer and it's not fun for them. Sorcerers require a lot of system mastery. The friendliest full caster might be cleric though.
>>
>>51185371

Yeah. That's kinda shitty. I mean, that's a class feature. You shouldn't be able to permanently lose it.
>>
>>51185369

Can't do that. They only get to craft on level-up. There is not amount of time you can spend to get a new item.
>>
>>51185327
Level 1 to 10 str lock just does more damage then.
>>
File: 11.jpg (67KB, 600x753px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
67KB, 600x753px
What is your favorite spell in the game, /5eg/?

Mine is Vicious Mockery. It lets me call someone a faggot so hard their brain stem snaps.
>>
>>51185434

I really wish you could knock people out rather than kill them with spells. I'd like the ability to say something so insulting they faint away. Not keel over and die.
>>
>>51185434
nice b8

Prestidigitation tho, and it's counterpart thaumateurgy. Stupid ass cantrips but they've got me out of way too many bad situations.
>>
>>51185463
>b8

I can't claim this win, I don't know what I did.
>>
>>51185447
READ

You can opt to knock out rather than kill any target you reduce to 0hp.
>>
>>51185503
Only with melee attacks. Spells and ranged weapon attacks are always kills unless they specifically mention otherwise
>>
>>51185282
Kk

They want to make their own characters

What level should they start at? 4?
>>
>>51185503

See: >>51185511

It was the big change of that rule from 4e to 5e. I'm not honestly sure why.
>>
>>51185528
Lost Mine of Phandelver starts at level 1. Prob shouldn't start any game at 4 unless everyone is familiar with how the game works
>>
>>51185298
Ehhh, I was wondering if there was a specific name for this style of robe / coat thing. "Sleeveless robe" just isn't cutting it.
>>
>>51185542
>>51185542
Last question, since they are level 1... what kind of backgrounds are acceptable? Literally normal people basically right?
>>
>>51185530
I suspect it is to ensure that leaving a creature alive is a little more difficult. A nice compromise between 4e's "you can knock anyone out easy" and 3.pf's "Okay, take a penalty to do non-lethal damage and do a pittance until he's on the floor"
>>
>>51185530
Gotta give martials something, man. I may be a man with a sword, but at least I don't murder these grunts who were just looking for a day's pay.

Horribly maim and injure? Yes. But that's JUSTICE.
>>
>>51185563
Any background is acceptable. LMoP has a specific hook in the adventure that explains how all the party members ended up on the escort job.
>>
>>51185434
Finger of death, kill somebody and make them a zombie, fucking rad.
>>
>>51182480
Wizards, no one at my table ever played a wizard. My friends don't have a good grasp of the rules so they usually avoid casters, when they did play casters they were cleric, warlock and sorcerer. They don't care enough about RPGs outside of the session, and they don't visit forums and don't optimize. There is also a guy who ALWAYS play a ranger, he never changed his class in the last two years (will be three soon).
>>
>>51185240
If you want a series of free one shots I recommend Powderkeg. Really fun real-time mystery solving adventure. Powderkeg is the second out of three adventures but its the only one I played
>>
>>51185262
>>51185545
I think "sleeveless duster" is as close as you'll get.

"Sleeveless shearling duster" maybe.
>>
>>51182480
Of all the parties I've had, no one has played a Barbarian. Ever.
>>
>>51185530
Because verisimilitude, probably.
>>51185577
Shocking grasp can knockout too. Any melee attacks.
>>
File: WRONG.jpg (52KB, 952x500px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.jpg
52KB, 952x500px
>>51183104
>Warlocks are your nerdy, book smart casters

>Warlocks

>not Wizards
>the class with the literal spellbook

are you retarded?
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (46KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
46KB, 340x565px
>>51183309
>just hide and attack each turn.

Literally impossible in 5e. Your DM is shit and you don't know the system you're trying to "fix".
>>
>>51185563
>>51185586
I would actually suggest starting them at 3. At level one everyone is literally "some guy who found a sword" or "a chick who read a book once and learned how to throw a magic missile"

It's boring, it's not fun to get slapped around by 3 goblins as a buff mcgruff fighter or a wise old wizard and it neutered players' expectations. By level 3 they have at least one class defining trait which helps new players feel more in character, which increases their odds of sticking with it.

I know because I literally was a new player who did LMoP and starting at level 1 was ass
>>
File: helloexport1479308156541.jpg (57KB, 448x299px) Image search: [Google]
helloexport1479308156541.jpg
57KB, 448x299px
I really hate spells in this game.

I hate how complicated the rules for how many you can cast, how you cast them, and what you need to cast them are.

I hate keeping track of spell slots and constantly consulting the rulebook to check what the scaled up version of a certain spell does.

I hate that half the book is spent listing individual spell effects.

I hate having to flip back and forth or rely on a third party website to consult a classes specific list of spells from the entire alphabetical spell list.

I hate that there's no way to modify spells even marginally, such as to turn burning hands into lightning hands at some cost or penalty.

I hate that spells are something you suddenly learn upon levelling up, or something the DM hands you a book of if you're a wizard, with no inbetween.

I hate Wizards having to remember to prepare certain spells, and having such relience on certain spells but such limited opportunity to change which I know, that even if you knew every spell you'd still prepare the same few almost every day.

I hate Warlocks barely getting to cast spells at all, because they're so limited in spell slots and so good at cantrips that they're basically a martial.

I hate sorcerer having a meme effect table, this isn't 40k. I hate sorcerors metamagic being more about power gaming than doing cool, unique stuff.

I hate that the magic system and power curve relies upon cantrips so heavily that they become no different from an attack action.

I hate that casters can do basically anything, while martials can do barely anything, as if it's a hybrid of low magic for some classes and high magic for others.

I really hate the magic system, you guys.
>>
File: Foolish Pleb.jpg (78KB, 960x931px) Image search: [Google]
Foolish Pleb.jpg
78KB, 960x931px
>>51183859
>falling shit
>fire
>smoke makes you cough
>smoke stings the eyes
>armor gets hot, slows you down

use your fucking brain for once
>>
Quick, I need Crocodile totem abilities for a lizardman monk barbarian
>>
File: 1471625584520.png (60KB, 267x246px) Image search: [Google]
1471625584520.png
60KB, 267x246px
>>51184357
Kick him from the game.
>>
>>51185896
Why are you here?
>>
File: 1482027830791.png (1024KB, 1280x1276px) Image search: [Google]
1482027830791.png
1024KB, 1280x1276px
Could I make a bladelock who's pact weapon is their fists?
>>
>>51185262
It's called a cassock, my dude.

/tg/ is pretty stupid when it comes to fantasy clothing and armor.
>>
>>51183859
>use preset initiative numbers to determine events
>on each players turn, roll 1d6
>based on number rolled, they just deal with a hazard, or no hazard (I was thinking 5 and 6 no encounter, 1 is the floor beneath them collapses, roll DEX save, on a 2, fire burns them for 2d4, 3 is falling debris with a DEX save to dodge or take 1d10 bludgeoning and 1d4 fire, 4 is the smoke increases for all party members reducing their passive and active perception by 2, which stacks
>>
File: here is some attention.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
here is some attention.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>51185896
>>
I'm thinking about making a archetype based on the Runeseeker homebrew, but cutting out all the fat and obviously not making it too broken. Should I go with Artificer or Ranger? Former makes sense because Artificer, latter also makes sense since Ranger's lack a "spell caster" archetype and fits into the stereotypical Ranger being a wanderer. Suggestions?
>>
>>51185896
I don't really understand the magic, so I play a rogue :^)
>>
File: Bad pose.jpg (9KB, 208x242px) Image search: [Google]
Bad pose.jpg
9KB, 208x242px
If I hit a enemy with the Riposte maneuver would I be able to use my crossbow feat to get 2 attacks in?
>>
So how do I find a DnD group, /5eg/?

I'm not playing online, and only one of my IRL friends is interested.
>>
>>51186184
Riposte is a reaction that let's you make a single attack, not an Attack action, so no.
>>
>>51186184
No, you are not using the the attack action so Crossbow Expert can't trigger.
>>
>>51186226
>>51186232
Ok good to know thanks my guys. One more question Can Presion attack carry over to a Riposte?
>>
>>51186257
You can use only one maneuver per attack, so no.
>>
>>51186257
If by 'carry over' you mean use precision attack during the attack from riposte then yes. Not sure what you mean by carry over when precision attack is just for a single attack.
>>
>>51186257
It applies to a single attack roll. You can expend it in a riposte attack or a normal attack, but it will not "Carry over."
>>
>>51186295
>>51186294
>>51186291
Ok I am getting a Yes and No so I will talk to DM and see what he wants. Also by Carry over I meant if I can Presion attack during my Riposte attack.
>>
>>51186222
Make new friends
>>
>>51181165
>>51183117
I really like these suggestions. My only comment is that "+1d4" was chosen on purpose so it can synergize with Tavern Brawler or Monk, instead of becoming a dead repeated feature. I think it's fair to let someone do 2d4 damage if they put a feat and class features into the build.

And as for the name, Brawler is already used elsewhere so Pugalist is more distinct.

>A character may add 1d4 damage to unarmed attacks, choosing whether to use Strength or Dexterity. Unarmed opportunity attacks reduce the target's movement speed by half for the rest of their turn, and may be triggered when the player is targeted by a melee attack.

I still think Tavern Brawler should get the "-5 to check, +10 to damage." This type of ability is only found in feats, doesn't disrupt advantages (which comes into play with certain class features) and would make the Fighting Style less bloated. Besides TB needs a bit of a boost (and gives more reason for a Monk to pick it up, especially if it allows improvised weapons to be counted as Monk Weapons).
>>
thinking about a BBEG

they are an elder vampire who feasts on the blood of dragons, demons, fae, and other magical creatures, all this has turned them into an abomination

what are some cool features and abilities I can give them to reflect this?
>>
>>51186555
In Hellsing, Alucard can spawn and control things he's eaten as puppets, polymorph into them, and use them to absorb damage. That seems like a decent place to start.
>>
>>51186555
Depends, do you want them to be a mobile, humanoid threat, or just an amorphous, blob-like monstrosity?

If the second, maybe base it off a gelatinous cube with breath weapons, flight, maybe leaves behind a trail that functions like Evard's Black Tentacles, different sorts of Wisdom-based checks that attempt to compel players to Get In His Belly, stuff like that?

Killing him should probably require a proper, touched-by-the-gods holy hand grenade or maybe introducing something that he can't consume and destabilizes his entire being, like the skull of a demilich who is his archenemy and thinks he could take over the vampire from the inside.
>>
>>51185896
Use spell points instead and fuck off.
>>
>>51186027
I had an idea for something like this.
Pact of the revenant.

Basically a pact with a LG vengefull spirit sealed in a trinket.
The patron not only teaches you warlock magic but one other basica bility from another class that will now scale with your warlock class.
Thus you could use it to grab the Martial arts feature.
>>
>>51183118
All full casters have the same number of spell slots. Although Sorc arguably has the most since you can convert sorc points into spell slots. Not going to disagree that Wizard is the best arcane caster despite that.
>>
>>51185382
Not really. With both for a new guy you'll need help but you'll need a helluva lot less help for sorcerer. You give them a 'good' spell list and just tell them to pick from that while wizards will run through that list by the time they're level 9.
>>
>>51185785
He clearly just mistyped
>>
>>51185896
Half of these gripes are about how spells are too simple and the other half are how they're too complex. Pick one.
>>
>>51183307
Why can't you just improvise and put him somewhere in the general area? You don't have to (and shouldn't) run the adventure exactly as written in the book.
>>
>>51185816
>what are rogues
>>
>>51186555
Every BBEG needs legendary actions, legendary resistance, and preferably lair actions to function well as a threat that can singlehandedly challenge a whole party. Start with those. Maybe his lair actions involve the tormented spirits of his victims crawling through the walls and floors and harming the PCs somehow.
>>
>>51187020
To be fair, horrible compromises between doing things two fine but opposing ways is basically the underpinning of DnD.
>>
>>51183859
>>
What's the best background for druids, in terms of skill proficiencies?
>>
>>51187175
Sailor cause you get great tool proficiencies to boot.
>>
We're about to play Storm King's Thunder, but none of us (including the DM) knows anything about the setting.

Should we just keep our character backgrounds vague and generic, and shy away from things like nobles or other well connected / well read types?

You can't substitute character knowledge with history checks when the DM doesn't know either.
>>
>>51187201
It might be easier to use generic backgrounds then rather than being connected. Though the adventure itself is pretty good about laying out some details about the Sword Coast of Faerun as a setting.

You can get a bit more versed with a quick read of Sword Coast Adventurers Guide if you or your DM want to.
>>
>>51187201
SKT can be played lots of ways. It is probably the first 5e book that you can put personal histories into the campaign book and make it work. You don't have to learn about the setting but it does paint a much better picture.

2 of my players are from Longsaddle (Wizard community). and 2 from Luskan (Pirate City). They have made friends and enemies during our session 0 and I as the DM can put those connections in different cities and towns if they choose to visit them.

Unlike the other campaign books, they players are free to wander completely off rails to go explore those things. You can run everything as is without adding content but that is like going to an ice cream shop with the little topping buffet and the different flavors and syrup and just going to the counter and saying you want a hot fudge sundae.

TLDR: You can run it as is without learning any setting/location/culture stuff without a problem. A DM might be able to paint a better more complete picture if they read more. The more they can connect the players to the story, the more rich the experience should be.
>>
>>51183225
fuck off
>>
>>51184111
Where do I find the spell point system?
>>
>>51183701
>homebrew
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>51186030
>cassock
That's extremely helpful. Thank you!
>>
>>51187201
It's set in Icewind Dale, right? You can just read about that area on the Forgotten Realms wiki, maybe play the PC games of the same name, and you'll get the idea.

There's no saying that you can't make up a new noble family in Luskan or the Ten-towns, or make up whatever you want, really. The existing setting info is a place to start, not a place to finish.
>>
>>51187587
It's set in pretty much all of northwestern faerun.

From the Anaroch desert to like 1000 or so miles west of the sword coast. Everything north of Baldersgate and south of the spine of the world.
>>
File: spellpoint.png (342KB, 719x411px) Image search: [Google]
spellpoint.png
342KB, 719x411px
>>51187487
Page 288 of the DMG
>>
File: images (1).jpg (3KB, 175x131px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
3KB, 175x131px
>>51187710
Is this system good? I feel like this would allow a 5th Sorcerer for example to just cast Fireball like a madman
>>
>>51182872
A d6 roll averages out to be 3.5
If your dex is 4 or higher, then yes, the former is better.
>>
>>51187753
It can be fun and it is a good way to buff sorcerers and give them some sorely needed utility.
It is kind of broken in that it lets you spam 1st level and 2nd level spells to no end though. It is fun until the paladin just uses level 1 smites every single turn or the wizard has permanent shield.
>>
Is there some kind of exception or special rule for crafting magical ammunition as opposed to other magical items? It seems a bit steep for it to take the same amount of time to make a +1 arrow as it does to make a +1 bow or sword.
>>
>>51187753
It's a slight buff to sorcs (They can already turn points into slots or slots into points)

But from experience, number tracking is annoying.
>>
How do I barbarian properly, /tg/?

Do I just roleplay a really angry guy and use my attack action every round?
>>
>>51187569
>>51186030
It's not really a cassock, though. This is a cassock. Cassocks have sleeves, close in the front, and generally aren't trimmed or lined with fur. It's just some garment that the illustrator made up for the nonce.
>>
>>51187896
Yes and no. Don't forget you can participate in the other pillars of the game as well (exploration and social). That will help prevent boredom and the need to punch everything. You don't have to be stereotypical.
>>
>>51187666
>1000 or so miles west of the sword coast
Shit, son, they go to Toril's version of Vinland? Or whatever the fuck is north of Maztica
>>
If you were to assign an occupation to every class what would they be?
In that they could make a living off of their Class abilities during downtime between adventures

>Barbarian
Hired Muscle
>Bard
Bard
>Cleric
Mortician
>Druid
Wilderness Guide
>Fighter
Personal Trainer
>Monk
???
>Paladin
Deputy
>Ranger
Hunter
>Rogue
Thief
>Sorcerer
Street Magician
>Warlock
???
>Wizard
Fortune Teller

Couldn't figure out Warlock or Monk
>>
>>51188040
Pending the Pact, a Warlock is a very good Lawyer.

Monks would make great messengers.
>>
>>51188040
cult leader and guru
>>
>>51182518
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Brewers Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Magic Weapon, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor Elementals, Fire Shield, Arcane Eye, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>51188008
They don't cross the trackless Sea. (Which is like 3000 miles across.) But it does include a lot of the islands along the way. Purple Rocks is my favorite.

How do you do spoiler tags again?
>>
>>51188008
The Maztica you see on maps is just the southern tip of a much larger continent which is occasionally mislabeled as Anchorome.

There is another continent to the northwest of that called Aurune (or Braaklosia). West of Maztica is a dragon continent called Myrmidune.
>>
>>51187896
Barbs are very strong grapplers, my Barbarian uses a longsword in versatile grip, 1d10 is still decent but being able to grapple and prone folk and still stab them in the guts is good.
>>
File: torilmapcorrected.png (461KB, 1022x588px) Image search: [Google]
torilmapcorrected.png
461KB, 1022x588px
>>51188198
>>51188008
Forgot my map.

>>51188164
select the text and Ctrl+S, it'll make the [tags]
>>
Good alternatives as a "lair guardian" type creature to Spectators? Or cool ways to buff one, and subsequently fluff that buff?

It would be for a party of 6 10th level adventurers, and 2 8th levels.

(The encounter will have plenty of magical traps, as well as a slew of "terracotta army" type lesser golems)
>>
>>51187896
I think >>51187971 is correct.
If it is any consolation, being the highest in HP and having Danger Sense means you should probably be leading the group during exploration. So you can stretch your legs in that role and see where it takes you.

For Social, i mean that comes down to you as a player. There aren't really features for classes that are made for the Social Pillar of the game. There's some spells, but even Bard doesn't really have features to manipulate social situations and they are the "social" class.

What Barbarian Primal Path are you interested in taking? For Non-combat features I recommend Totem Warrior or Ancestral Guardian because those give cool non-combat features in the form of "Aspect of The Beast" and "Consult The Spirits".
And for Totem Warrior I would pick Eagle for Aspect of the Beast because you can clear;y see things 1 mile away, and see fine details 100 feet away.
>What do your elf eyes see?
Holds up a bottle of elf eyes
>Nothing, but I can see a naked lady 1 mile away. Her tits are huge!
>>
>>51188086
I know what you meant but I like the idea of warlocks being gurus and monks as cult leaders.
>JUST DO IT('It' being sell your soul): How I learned to stop complaining about my unpaid serfdom and trade my soul for power
>>
>>51186222
What city/state?
>>
>>51188077
Lawyer? I am not sure I see it...

Monks as messengers sounds cool. Monk becomes a mailman, everyone else gets cool jobs during downtime. How demeaning lol.

>>51188086
Cult Leader is great. Makes me think of Creed from The Office
>You make more money as a cult leader, but you have more fun as a follower

I guess being a Guru means they could teach people stuff and make money that way.
>>
>>51185785
you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>51188164
>>51188216

Ahh ok thanks. One of my favorite parts of SKT is purple rocks. Because:
It is based on Dagon and the villages are basically Innsmouth. I totally expanded on it in my campaign. The players even met a drunken cultist who took the first two oaths. Though he was racked with mental pain and anguish when he tried to recall his memory.
>>
>>51188523
Really? Look at the invocations. Take a moment. Though I suppose its mostly thematic to the idea of being pact makers.
>>
Just finished LMoP with 5x lvl5 PCs. Gonna tie into HotDQ but starting with the same characters.

Any suggestions other than "don't play HotDQ"? I'll flavour the kobolds using Tome of Beasts and Volo's Guide. Plenty of various choices there.
>>
>>51188375
Grand Spectator
Take Beholder, remove Antimagic Cone, Add Spell Reflection. Potentially wiggle some of the attacks using Volo's Eyebeams.

You've got 8 Characters, they should be able to handle a CR13, If the Grand-Spectator needs even more buff, throw in some Gazers because they are adorable as they are potent.

Second alternative, I find the Slaad Tadpoles statline makes perfect "Magic eating leech" Minions.
>>
How can I build a character that focuses on temp HP?

Outside of warlock mage armor spam with wizard abj ward
And also no bags of rats.

I'm talking a build that focuses it with the least amount of cheese.
>>
>>51188040
>Warlock
Journalist

>Monk
Physician
>>
>>51188841
Fiend warlock gets crazy amounts of temp hp with armor of agathys and its lv 1 feature.
>>
File: 1452236669321.jpg (29KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1452236669321.jpg
29KB, 650x650px
>>51182480
How can I make survival something that's kind of difficult? I want my players to have to live off the land, and to actually need to think about how many rations they bring with them, plan ahead, consider the consequences of their actions and where they decide to go, but my druid player always just either Goodberries everyone, or someone with the outlander background just says "I find everyone food" when I bring it up.

Anyone else have experience with this? Anyone have advice on it?
>>
Level 12 Thief Rogue. What are some good multiclass options? Bard 2 for "never fail any skill check ever again" seems useful.
>>
>>51188900
>outlander background just says "I find everyone food"

Outlander feat says "only if the land allows it" or something like that. If the land is not fertile there won't be any food.

Write a desert campaign where it is dry and food is scarce. Make them keep track of water and heat etc.
>>
File: inquisitive Gypsy Danger.jpg (40KB, 353x357px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive Gypsy Danger.jpg
40KB, 353x357px
Alright, the abomination of a Paladin Multiclass from yesterday here. After digging through the book, it looks like I've had access to more Paladin spells. I noticed Aid, which is not temporary HP, but a straight up raising your Maximum HP and was wondering if this could also be used in conjunction with another Party member's (A Devotion Paladin) Inspiring leader feat?
>>
>>51188927
2 into druid and become a literal cat burglar
>>
>>51189106
Had a player do this once.

Steal shit => turn into cat. No one ever suspects the cat.
>>
File: 1334979225656.png (89KB, 348x252px) Image search: [Google]
1334979225656.png
89KB, 348x252px
>>51188216
>Land of Flying Monkeys
>>
File: 1468633532966.png (317KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1468633532966.png
317KB, 600x600px
A question for DMs:
Do you usually have the map revealed to the players (with secret areas omitted) from the beginning of a dungeon, or do reveal it as they go?
>>
How can you have a pet or minion under your control indefinitely and reliably ?

>find familiar
>pact of the chain
>animate dead
>animal companion
>true polymorph
>create undead

How else ?
>>
>>51189290
Reveal as they go
>>
>>51189321
Artificer robot at level 6 (UA)
>>
>>51189321
Artificer.
>>
Can I get some opinions on my homebrew? It is not done yet, and this is more of an outline than anything else. Merely placeholder ideas before I dig back into them and refine/change them completely. Likewise I haven't made any runes for the Rune Arts just quite yet, but I intend on most of them being non-damaging without being Overloaded.
>>
>>51189290
I reveal it as they go along, which has caused some confusion if they're not paying attention when I reveal things.

The other person in our group that DMs uses the light/line of sight stuff in roll20. It's neat and works fairly well, but it can be a pain in the ass if people lose track of each other and if you don't have Darksight (there have been cases where my character literally can't see the square in front of him because he doesn't have Darksight, so I can't navigate my token).
>>
File: dean classic.jpg (19KB, 264x275px) Image search: [Google]
dean classic.jpg
19KB, 264x275px
>>51189290
>implying I even have made a map of the dungeon when my players get there

I'm just making this shit up as I go along.
>>
>>51188725
no one? :(
>>
>>51189321
Find Steed.
Mounts are surprisingly strong, especially if you get a cool DM who lets you pick other types of creatures
>>
>>51189290

Reveal as they go, normally.
>>
>>51185434
I am a sucker for Shield
>>
File: midlifecrustacean2.jpg (112KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
midlifecrustacean2.jpg
112KB, 640x360px
First time playing a caster here. I'm making a moon druid, starting at level 3 (2 cantrips, 6 spells).
Which cantrips and spells should I definitively pick? What are good additions? What should I avoid?
Help me out guys.
>>
Would Courtier be a fitting background for a long-retired Court Mage?
Seems like that or Faction Agent/Sage would fit the best.
>>
>>51188725
The beginning of HotDQ is the best part. It's hard as balls for a level 1 party, and it should be scaled up to be hard as balls for a level 5 party.

After that the adventure gets very thin. The PCs visit multiple towns and cities, but the book has nothing for the PCs to do while they're there. A lot of NPCs show up and seem to be important but then never get seen or heard from again. I used one of the suggested campaign-specific bonds, trying to rescue an old friend captured by kobolds, and I never saw any clue about that person in the whole campaign. I guess just read the whole book, find the holes, and find things to fill them with.

I had a DM who used the following adventure between Greenest and Baldur's Gate, and it worked pretty well:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/176177/The-Tournament-at-Scornubel
>>
>>51189526
Won't make a huge difference. Just decide whether you want to focus on research, courtly politics, or maybe even Guild Artisan if wizardry is a well-regulated business with trade guilds in your home region.
>>
>>51189526
Are you starting at level one?

Because if so, that's pretty fucking retired. Or you were a pretty shit court mage.
>>
>>51182999
What this anon >>51183046 said.

In general, casting classes require more knowledge, research, and thought to create than hitty/tanky/shooty muggles. And of them, wizard is the hardest. Not that you shouldn't go spellcaster or even wizard. Just know what you're in for.
>>
>>51188746
That works out perfectly! Thanks.
>>
>>51189547
I've used one of the Backgrounds as well for a character. They're looking for Talis or whatever he's called.

I agree, the first chapter seems very fun but people say start from chapter 4, that would suck.

I was thinking of adding more kobolds and mercenaries and shit while also using higher CR monsters. I already increase HPs quite a lot to make encounters challenging when necessary.

Thinking of making a full fledged dragon battle with 1-2 wyrmlings or some other flying monsters that I can find.
>>
>>51189458
Concentration spells are your friend, they can still be active while in beast form, and still be activated. Since you're moon you should spend most of your time in beast form so having these spells, both offensive and defensive active is just great enjoyment for you.
Barkskin sets your AC to 16, which is great for when many of your beast forms have a low AC but high hp. Lasts for an hour too so you get a lot of use out of it. This is your bread and your butter, and the plate you're eating off. Giant Octopus with Longstrider and Barkskin cast is an immense tank with AC16, 52HP, 15ft Reach and a Restraint-Rider attack.

Heat Metal is a massive middle finger to knights with no saving throw, wearing metal armour? Guess what, you can't take it off, I'll keep cooking you with this damage every turn and you'll have disadvantage, again no save allowed and their only hope to shrug it off is to force you to break concentration.

Pass without trace, +10 to stealth on your entire party, absolutely cucking the Rogue as even sir clunks the paladin is passing every stealth check,

Flaming Sphere, decent damage, decent hazard, and you can pilot it around while fighting in beast form.
>>
File: Player Map.jpg (1005KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Player Map.jpg
1005KB, 1024x768px
Comments?
>>
>>51189736
Talis! That was it. I must have asked everyone in Faerun if they'd seen Talis and nobody did.
>>
>>51189339
>>51189344
>>51189405
Thanks
>>
>>51189911
those rivers made no sense at all
rivers flow from mountains to the ocean, starting as streams, combining into creeks, the creeks combine into rivers
>>
>>51185896
You sound like you're just a tard. Not sure how to help you there.
>>
Why are tieflings always descended from humans? I mean, what's stopping an elven tiefling from existing, or a half-orc tiefling?
>>
>>51190301
The DM's imagination
>>
>>51190323
Fuck you. I don't have any control over the retarded ideas my players come up with for characters.
>>
>>51189911
looks like a piece of chicken about to be fried
>>
>>51189736
>>51189736
I just finished that quest line, my biggest issues were the amount of characters who are introduced and then forgotten. Plus the amount of villians who are introduced and then forgotten. None of them hugely memorable, all of them kind of samey.

The amount of fights and dungeons that all equate to "Fight these humans and some kobolds... Then the boss human...", literally all the way through it's like that.

All the name dropped characters and dragons yet you ultimately encounter... Three, you fight like four dragons in the entire two books, two of them are white.

During the second book you're bombarded double-time with new faces during the council meetings, none of which are particularly memorable, none of which are impactful. So much shit is thrown up that actually means nothing and it all ends up in "Go inside the building, fight some humans and some kobolds, then the boss human."

The most interesting, unique and unexpected encounter was the Roper in like chapter 2.
>>
>>51185896
Play fighter
Play rogue
Play barbarian

>I hate that there's no way to modify spells even marginally, such as to turn burning hands into lightning hands at some cost or penalty.
Ask your DM
only once when you learn the spell though, not on fly, because that's adding versatility and that's what chromatic orb is for

>I hate sorcerors metamagic being more about power gaming than doing cool, unique stuff.
pick subtle spell and careful spell

>I hate that the magic system and power curve relies upon cantrips so heavily that they become no different from an attack action.
This is fucking moronic, the alternative is forcing them to use crossbows instead. I think your IQ might be too low to play this game
>>
File: maldivesocto.jpg (204KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maldivesocto.jpg
204KB, 1280x720px
With the find familiar spell, since you summon a spirit that takes the form of an animal if I were to summon a quipper or octopus would it suffocate on land? The spell doesn't say anything about it but why would they be included as options when 99% of games they'd die shortly after being summoned.
>>
>>51190301
In the most current version of the lore, tieflings can breed with most humanoids, but the offspring are always full tieflings that don't look any different from other tieflings. In Planescape tieflings were already basically mongrelfolk with a variety of humanoid ancestors in addition to fiendish blood.
>>
Barbarians seem really boring. You get rage, and... a bunch of passives.
>>
>>51190301
>>51190338
wha? If you're the DM put some elven or dwarven tiefling npcs in your story. Really, you get to make the majority of characters, in your position.
>>
How do I optimise my Oathbreaker, aiming to be a necromancer.

Is it worth going pure Oathbreaker or should I dip into Warlock/Sorcerer - if so how much?

What about going into Wizard for the Necromancers boosts?
>>
>>51190594
Because an owl is shit underwater. Sometimes you have an underwater section of the adventure, and characters built around having a familiar can use Find Familiar to turn their owls into something more useful underwater.
>>
>>51190594
Because you can summon them while you're AT SEA? You're not bound to a single form for your entire life, you know.
>>
>>51190692
sometimes you just want to hit things really really hard. If that, along with generally acting like an uncouth savage entertains you, its fun as hell.
>>
>>51190692
I've played a barbarian. It can be kind of boring. Combats are basically "I rage." followed by "I whack him with my hammer.". Where the barbarian shines is in roleplay. You're an unwashed barbarian! You and your friends just rescued the daughter of the count, and are invited to sup with his lordship this evening! Oh, the bard might put on his finest silks and perfumes, the wizard goes to a barber to have his beard perfect, the paladin puts on a simple but elegant evening outfit. You? You spend the afternoon fooling around with the hounds in the garden, and then hunt some duck. Say, a fresh duck would be a great addition to that feast, wouldn't it? The count will be so impressed with you.
>>
File: merlin.jpg (16KB, 447x249px) Image search: [Google]
merlin.jpg
16KB, 447x249px
One in my party will be playing a blade warlock. Now, I know that it's suboptimal and tomelock is best lock and most of the time they'd be better off eldritch blasting most of the time - but I don't want to say that out loud because I don't want to make them feel bad about their character.

How can I help them have fun with their suboptimal build? Are there certain spells that I can support them with? I'm afraid I'll be overshadowing them as a paladin, known to be an awesome class.
>>
>>51190301
In the old editions because half-elves and half-orcs were always half human for some reason. Tiefling just carried that over.
Nowadays, they've officially said that tieflings can come from any race, but the result of a tiefling mating with someone is always another tiefling. Tiefling+Tiefling? Tiefling. Tiefling+Human? Tiefling. Tiefling+Elf? Tiefling. Tiefling+Dwarf? Short Tiefling.
>>
>>51190758
>>51190817
Are there any good multiclass options that aren't just for hitting things in different hard ways?
>>
>>51190712
>>51190732
But what if my PC is an ex-sailor and I would like a tiny octopus that chills on my shoulder or some shit like that even during land adventures.

Cephalopods are my favorite animals
>>
>>51190872
Get a tank for them then
>>
>>51190856
You could splash some rogue or bard into your build if you want to have some skill proficiencies and add a bit more scoundrel flavour. Or fighter, if you want martial weapons and medium armour proficiencies.
>>51190872
So tell your GM you want a sailor with an octopus familiar that can breathe on land. Octopuses suck anyway, it won't unbalance the game.
>>
>>51190872
Your familiar would die.
>>
File: mymap.png (562KB, 1256x1386px) Image search: [Google]
mymap.png
562KB, 1256x1386px
Do you guys think this would be a good map for a hexcrawl campaign from lv3 up, hexes are 12 miles across.
>>
File: 1468062719452.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468062719452.gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>51190818
>pitying a Bladelock - the best mid level class of all
>>
Where do i find the Standard and exotic language tables?
>>
At one point in time I managed to find a list of Lord of the Ring Orc and Uruk hai armies, like their names and banners and such. I've just tried to find it again, and all I can fucking find is "origin of LotRs orcs" and "how to pronounce orc names."

Anybody know what I"m talking about, and know where to find it?
>>
>>51185896
Martial classes exist for simpletons like you

Go play a Barbarian and just hit stuff. Should be easier for you to understand :)
>>
>>51191079
phb 123
>>
I got 400gp (plus everything from the Outlander Background) for my starting equipment. Should I blow it all on a breastplate? I'm a level 3 moon druid.
>>
File: 164152512465.jpg (26KB, 446x336px) Image search: [Google]
164152512465.jpg
26KB, 446x336px
>>51189378
Preparing things ahead of session is for losers with nothing better to do with their time. Pure improv master race
>>
>>51191105
So i roll a D8 for each table and that's what the character know? DM permitting of course?
>>
>>51191137
No, the number of languages you know depends on race and background and sometimes you get to choose them, sometimes they're defined (half-elves get common, elvish, and one of their choice).
>>
>>51190957
My brother playing Rainbow 6 glanced over at my screen and said that it's pretty neat, so take that for what it's worth.

Are you going to give the players the map or make them discover it themselves? I've always wanted to run a campaign where the players are Fantasy!Lewis and Clark, and the campaign is just to try to map out as much wilderness as they can without dying.
>>
>>51191180
Yea the premise is that this is an uncharted island that they are tasked with exploring. There is one town at the bottom, and otherwise it's wilderness. My plan for this campaign is to have like an open table with like 12 players, whcih should create a sense of players wanting to find loot before the others do.
>>
>>51191165
Class also. Sorcerers can get Draconic.
>>
Which of these names makes the most sense for a thunder cannon re-fluffed as a BFC(crossbow)?
>Bolt Thrower
or
>Vortex balista/crossbow
>>
>>51191336
I'd call it a Thunderbow.
>>
>>51191336
Voltaxic Rift :^)
>>
>>51191336
The Penetrator 5000
>>
>>51191113
Druids are prohibited from using metal armour, additionally as a Moon Druid you will be in beast form so your native-form AC is inconsequential.
>>
>>51191336
Rock-it Lawnchair!!
>>
>>51191442
I don't see anything about that in the PHB.
I mean, it makes sense considering how every druid has ever worked in D&D but I can't find a reference to it in 5E.
>>
>>51191364
I suppose that'd work and i'm just being spastic about clear labels.
>>51191416
PoE?
>>51191436
only in my head.
>>51191498
Not yet anon, that's for level 6.
>>
>>51191336
I'd call it a hand ballista. A ballista is basically a large crossbow. A gun (basically a small cannon) was called a hand cannon in medieval days, so why wouldn't a small ballista but very large crossbow be called a hand ballista?
>>
>>51191442
>>51191571
>>51191113
Druids can wear metal armour. Nothing bad happens if they do. However, they choose not to and generally your DM should call you out if you do. You might be allowed to wear metal if you're lucky, but the intention is that you don't.

Again, there is nothing that actually magically of physically stops druids from wearing it, it's simply something druids don't do. I think there was a sage advice or something.
>>
>>51191652
>Again, there is nothing that actually magically of physically stops druids from wearing it, it's simply something druids don't do. I think there was a sage advice or something.

There was. The thrust of it was that it was a cultural prohibition and that, while you won't "fall," other druids would look at you as if you've definitely lost either your way or your mind.
>>
>>51191571
>>51191652
It literally says "Druids will not wear armour made of metal." under proficiencies on page 45 and 65.

I mean I suppose you are right in that there is no punishment mentioned for breaking this, but as it is mentioned as a rule, one can only assume that Read as Written, regardless of player interest the characters says "No can do boss.".

Just like no matter how much you wish your Dwarf could fly at will at level 1, it just won't happen.
>>
Is there any reason you would ever want to wear leather armour? Studded leather just seems better in every way.
>>
>>51191746
Druids can't wear studded, so if you're a high-dex Land-druid for some reason, you might prefer leather over hide.

Alternatively, you're a character who has 10gp and not 45gp.
>>
>>51191746

This >>51191777, and to my knowledge no one starts with studded leather.

Leather is the discount economy choice some characters start with.
>>
>>51191746
If you're a lizardfolk I think it was, technically you could get more AC from leather armour instead of studded leather as studded leather leaves you with a higher AC that prevents you from using 13+DEX+magical bonus AC, whereas leather is less likely to exceed 13+DEX. By RAW anyway.
>>
>>51191442
>>51191113
If you can justify a chitinous or scale breastplate, you could just go with that.
>>
File: Smugumin.png (324KB, 414x459px) Image search: [Google]
Smugumin.png
324KB, 414x459px
>new guy wants to play a werewolf
>tell him sure but its his own class and he can't transform until level 2
>tell him that for the first session, he'll just be a magicky dude and level 2 you'll get the transformation
>the transformations will just be a brown bear for hybrid form and dire wolf for full wolf form
>MFW he told me druids were stupid before I started character creation with him.
>>
>>51191746
It's just so you don't start with studded for a sense of progression at low levels. Same with scale mail to half plate and chain to splint to plate
>>
>>51191807
That's stupid. It would either be;
>11+dex+magic bonus
or
>13+dex
>>
>>51191869
The way magical armour works is it gives you a bonus to AC for wearing it. You don't have to use its AC in order to get that bonus. By RAW, at least.
>>
>>51191816
>>51191113
This, might cost more than 400 though.

Do note, Dragonscale armour is non-metal, 14+(2Dex) armour, with a +1 bonus, and other bonuses like resistance, dragon-sense and breath-dodging.

Literally the best armour a Druid can get.
>>
File: 69.jpg (12KB, 200x255px) Image search: [Google]
69.jpg
12KB, 200x255px
So the newest group I'm DMing for is composed of the following:

Blood Hunter - Order of the Profane Soul
Rogue - Assassin
Rogue - Assassin (that's right, two of them)
Bard - College of Satire
Druid - Circle of Dreams

How fucking dead are they?
>>
>>51192042
No idea what's up with the blood hunter, never seen the class, though I'm doubtful.

The assassins could work if the rest of the party helps them with steatlh. Druids get 'pass without trace' for +10 stealth - they should really use that.

Isn't that bard college the one that makes even demigods fart and do stupid things 'because you succeeded the save'? Geez.
And the druid should really have been moon druid to give the party some potential tank potential.

Overall, the party is quite versatile, though. They can probably all take ranged weapons and fight from a distance if they can find some way to get sneak attack.

Still, it's not great.
>>
>>51192042
>Blood Hunter - Order of the Profane Soul
Fucking Dead
>Rogue - Assassin
>Rogue - Assassin (that's right, two of them)
Can back down super hard.
>Bard - College of Satire
Tumble is broken
>Druid - Circle of Dreams
idk
>>
Are 2nd level ranger spells really bad?
>>
>>51192094
Hey we're page 10. Id make a new one but mobile.
>>
>>51192094
Not really, but all the other casters(including paladins) have better lists.
>>
>>51192122
Accidentally quoted
>>
>>51192140
Even Arcane Trickster gets better spells, and they're limited to just enchantments and illusions.
>>
>>51192094
Pass without trace is bretty gud.
>>
>>51192203
Hence why I said all. It's still fucking stupid hunter's mark is a spell.
>>
>>51192085
>Fucking Dead
Why? It's a d10 class.
Well, more like d8, but as a Profane Soul he can still get stuff like Armor of Agathys and False Life.
>>
Can someone at least post the blood hunter class so we can laugh at it?
>>
I hate Eldritch Blast so much. I want to make a Warlock, but EB is such a God damn crutch that I can't find myself not taking it, or not using it. So damn awful.
>>
>>51192287
The class is made as a pure flavor town concept.
>Reduces their own health.
>Is intended to mostly be a front liner without any kind of resistance/sustain(ala bladelock)
>Massive number of ribbon features.

Pros
>Curses are great
>Damage scaling is well done.
>Flavor central
>Innate elemental damage

>>51192337
It's not bad just risky and made by Matt-nerf that-Mercer.
>file too large
http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Blood-Hunter-Class-1.2.pdf
>>
>>51192337
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJV_TmQvYHQY3RwbVJpeVRMMUU/view?usp=sharing
I've got you, senpai.
>>
>>51192122

NEW THREAD
>>51192401
>>51192401
>>51192401
>>
Going to DM tomorrow night And I need to come with an idea for a campaign this is what i have so far-
>fantasy version of moby-dick with krakens and sea serpents replacing whales
>players are the secret police for obligatory big empire
>players are group of criminal alchemists who make illegal potions(basically fantasy version of breaking bad)
Thread posts: 394
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.