[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 465
Thread images: 43

File: T9zfTE3PSP0.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
T9zfTE3PSP0.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread >>51157735

Sounds like we'll get two new classes in the next content book - an artificer and the mystic. Do you think there'll be someone else? Who?
>>
what pact do you feel is most thematic for a goblin warlock?
>>
>>51164379
Old Ones, of course. You know, those things that live in the darkness beneath your caves? The reason why you don't dig too deep?
>>
File: Path of the Roaring Soul v.2.png (3MB, 1200x1603px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Roaring Soul v.2.png
3MB, 1200x1603px
Reposting from other thread, what do people think of this new version of a Dragonperson-specific archetype?
>>
File: lady knight.jpg (209KB, 666x995px) Image search: [Google]
lady knight.jpg
209KB, 666x995px
I want to make a warlord, Mastermind rogue 3/Battlemaster fighter 17. How horrible of an idea is that?
>>
File: Path of the Roaring Soul.png (3MB, 1200x1603px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Roaring Soul.png
3MB, 1200x1603px
>>51164402

The older one I made for comparison.
>>
>>51164419

Sounds good, good luck playing 'til 20!
>>
Is there a list of what you can have as a mechanical servant yet? I know a half-dragon allosaurus is probably the best, just wondering what the other options are
>>
File: 1484211105243.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1484211105243.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51164379
It's homebrew but I think cave fungus and goblins go together pretty well.
>>
>>51164469
Isn't it just any Large Beast for stats and then fluff to taste?
>>
How do people on the DM's guild get their monster stat blocks to look right?
>>
>>51164469
Allosaurus
Axe Beak
Brown Bear
Camel
Constrictor Snake
Crocodile
Dire Wolf
Draft Horse
Elk
Giant Bat
Giant Boar
Giant Eagle
Giant Goat
Giant Hyena
Giant Octopus
Giant Owl
Giant Sea Horse
Giant Spider
Giant Toad
Giant Vulture
Hunter Shark
Lion
Plesiosaurus
Polar Bear
Rhinoceros
Riding Horse
Saber-Toothed Tiger
Tiger
Warhorse

And some stuff in Volo. Look that up yourself, you lazy bum.
>>
>>51164419
You could do mastermind rogue stuff without actually using your bonus action via a familiar.... Fluff it as... I don't know... manifestion of your power or something..
>>
Rate my homebrew ranger:

Mage Hunter
3- whenever a hostile creature within 30 feet of you casts a spell you can use your reaction to make a weapon attack against that creature if it is within reach of your weapon. You can cast Detect Magic and Identify as rituals with no material components. Also, the advantages granted by your Favored Enemy feature extend to include any creature capable of casting spells.

7- When you damage a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature has disadvantage on the saving throw it makes to maintain its concentration. You also have advantage on saving throws against spells cast by creatures within 30 feet of you

11- you add Counterspell to your list of known spells. You may cast it without expending a spell slot once per short rest (wording will change)

15- whenever you cause a creature to lose concentration on a spell or successfully cast Counterspell the affected creature takes psychic damage equal to 1d10 plus your wisdom modifier
>>
>>51164402
>>51164435
Here's a thought, how about
"You may use your breath weapon an additional number of times per day equal to your constitution modifier, you may only use this feature while raging"
>>
>>51164402
Dragon's Roar: Too strong. Berzerker Path requires gaining a stack of exhaustion after a frenzy rage just to make a bonus action attack. A bonus action breath weapon with +1d6, extra DC on a core barb stat, and recharge more often than 1/rest. You can easily get of 4-5 of them in an average day.

Surging Soul: So unless two-weapon fighting, the only thing this archetype has to consume it's bonus action is breath weapon. So you basically breathe flame and slash, round2 rage and slash, round3 breathe and slash, round 4 check for extra breath. So you can probably get like 6-7 breath attacks (which scale with level and are only limited by the action economy, which is no longer an issue).

Draconic Senses: This shouldn't cause too many issues. If it turns out blindsight is good for more than overcoming blinds/killing invisible enemies, perhaps limit just the blindsight portion to 1/rest. IMO it's fine.

Legendary Might: I like the that this is thematic with legendary resistance, but I feel it overlaps with fighter a bit. I'm also done commenting on breath weapon power.

Frightful Aura: So it's a better Intimidating Presence?

Will provide proposed balance changes shortly
>>
>>51164640
100% agree with this assessment
>>
Should I go Lore bard or Divination wizard for a detective? Both seem to fit...
>>
>>51164635
Or how about a free use of breath weapon when entering a rage? That way it stays level-appropriate
>>
>>51164657
Inquisitive or mastermind rogue
>>
>>51164640
>Berzerker Path requires gaining a stack of exhaustion after a frenzy rage just to make a bonus action attack

Berzerker path is universally panned as hot garbage, it's a really bad metric by which to judge anything
>>
>>51164680
> no magic
eww
>>
I was going to run a heavily modified Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat and was thinking of tweaking the Black and Green Dragon Masks so that they have something in addition to or instead of their Water Breathing features to put them a little more in-line with Red, Blue, and White's.

Any suggestions on how to adjust them? Or should I just leave them as-is?
>>
>>51164657
Lore Bard would be good at interrogating suspects and rubbing shoulders with lowlifes in smokey taverns
>>
>>51164699
seriously, some people like actually having real abilities
>>
>>51164524
Or homebrew stuff in general. What are these guys using? >>51164435 >>51164496
>>
>>51164724
is 14 DEX and 12 CON too low for Lore bard? Trying to get 14 INT for investigate and knowledge skill.
>>
>>51164736
Lore bard have more skills than Rogue and they got magic on top.
>>
>>51164692

There is this to consider. Who even likes Frenzy-ing?
>>
>>51164753

It's in the Mega.
>>
>>51164760
>is 14 DEX and 12 CON too low for Lore bard? Trying to get 14 INT for investigate and knowledge skill.

Depends on how reliably you can stay out of fights. If your party has a solid front line, sure.
>>
>Half-dragon allosaurus stays at challenge 2
>The example in the MM (veteran) goes from challenge 3 to 5
I don't understand
>>
>>51164585
recommend changing it from
>Favored Enemy feature extend to include any creature capable of casting spells
to
>Greater Favoured Enemy:
- If you are a Mage Hunter you have access to an additional type of greater favoured enemy: Spellcasters.

You gain all the benefits against this chosen enemy that you normally gain against your favored enemy, including an additional language. Your bonus to damage rolls against all your favored enemies increases to +4.

Additionally, you have advantage on saving throws against the spells and abilities used by a greater favored enemy.
>>
>>51164666

Not bad, but then if the core of the interest of the archetype is in having cool breath stuff, then limiting it to 1, maybe 2 a battle doesn't make the rest of it very interesting.

Frenzy might be swarbage after the exhaustion, but at least it keeps up for a whole 10 rounds.
>>
>>51164640
Wow it's better than the worst archetype in 5e ever, big fucken deal
The fucking subclass has to stand up to the likes of animal totems, which is where shit gets fucken crazy with ultra tank/flight
>>
>>51164402
>>51164640

Balance changes proposed (grain of salt here):

Dragon's Roar: When you enter a rage, you may use a Breath Weapon as part of entering a rage if you have not used it yet. For clarification, you don't gain an extra use of breath attack, but you don't need to eat up two bonus actions on two turns raging and then breathing. The extra 1d6 is fine so long as the barb doesn't get 3 guaranteed breath uses per rest.

Surging Soul: I like the ability to recharge based on a DC con save rather than an auto-recharge since it curbs the strength of the class early on, but means that as you gain ASIs and proficiency bonus, your breath weapon becomes stronger, more difficult to resist, and more consistent. I'd say that, while raging, You can use your bonus action to make a DC 15 Con Save. On success, you regain a use of your breath weapon and must unleash it as part of the same bonus action used to make the save. You may only use Surging Soul once per rage. Our goal here is to frontload the damage of breath weapon but limit the uses per rest to the number of rages. This makes the class feel more impactful during the stages of a fight where AoE attacks are most effective (which is the beginning when there are typically the most enemies). It also means that at level 3 a Roaring Soul will be able to succeed on the save ~50% of the time.

I justify this extreme reduction in the usages of breath weapons due to scaling damage, multiple target value, and the fact that as you gain a higher con mod and proficiency bonus, surging soul's breath weapon will recharge extremely reliably (90% with he barbarian's captsone feature in full swing).

More coming
>>
>>51164635
>>51164666

I kinda like the former, as you might only have 1 battle in a day or something.

>>51164640

Thanks for the thoughts, am looking forward to the proposed changes before I comment.
>>
>>51164845
I wasn't going for the UA ranger with it, but spellcasters as a greater favored enemy could work were that the case
>>
There is this Japanese artist called Nano whose image is androgyny. Publicly nobody knows if Nano is a man or a woman and discussion and articles about Nano don't use gendered pronouns. Would it be possible to play a character like that? Even the player themselves do not know the gender of their PC?
>>
>>51164982
maybe? but why?
>>
>>51164369
I think it's likely we'll get a shaman of some sort. I remember after the survey for the Ebberon UA, they mentioned looking at making Artificer a subclass as part of a new "Enchanter" type class, with Alchemist and Shaman as other subclasses.
Obviously that isn't the case anymore, but I'm still interested in the concept of the shaman.

>>51164469
Go to kobold.club and plug in the criteria (CR 2 or lower, Large, Beast) and pick from the list.
>>
>>51164919

Your proposed archetype would be worthless trash that only an idiot would ever take.
>>
>>51164982
Elves are already referred to in the PHB as being generally androgynous, and Corellon is referred to as being depicted as being a man, woman, both, or neither in the same section. That'd be your best bet
>>
>>51164982
>articles about Nano don't use gendered pronouns

pretty easy to do in Japanese, what with the general lack of pronouns, gendered or otherwise

(you have to go out of our way to call someone a man or woman or whatever, instead of using "person")
>>
Has anyone ran an adventure or campaign which heavily features travel? As in, lots of encounters on roads, in the wilderness, etc. while traveling long distance? Keeping up with rations and foraging and travel time as well as marching order and downtime activities for middle-rank people such as mapmaking like the PHB suggests? Was it fun?

If you haven't run something like that, what would you do to make it good? I'm also looking for reasons a party might need to travel long distances for extended periods of time. My players are used to being railroaded and 'fast-traveling' to 'quest areas' video game style. I want to make this feel more like an adventure than a series of tasks the party warps to instantly.
>>
>>51165052
>Has anyone ran an adventure or campaign which heavily features travel? As in, lots of encounters on roads, in the wilderness, etc. while traveling long distance? Keeping up with rations and foraging and travel time as well as marching order and downtime activities for middle-rank people such as mapmaking like the PHB suggests? Was it fun?

I played a months-long game of Ryuutama that was an absolute blast. My wandering merchant had the PRETTIEST umbrella.

Of course D&D would be shit at that kind of game, because D&D is shit at anything that isn't Murderhobos: the Fightening.
>>
>>51165052
My DM tried to do that one. But we have 2 Druids. So all of his book keeping is pointless with goodberries and create water.

One of the druid even take ritual caster feat and get phantom steed to mess up with traveling pace too.
>>
>>51165052
I've run a campaign back in 4e that was almost entirely travel. They had to trek across a continent, sail across an ocean, and then fly to their final destination and defeat the evils that dwelled there. However, it was mostly travelling from place to place to get there and the in between was just skill checks, roleplaying, and the occasional plot significant encounter.

Encounters along the road can feel tedious and boring if there is no plot progression, especially if it is commonplace. Tracking rations and who does what while on the road wastes time if everyone isn't into it. If you wanted to do a completely travel focused campaign, I'd look at ripping off the Oregon Trail.
>>
>>51165052
Rip off Steelball run and have it a large cross country cart race.
>>
>>51164982
>>
>>51165052
4e's concept of the Points of Light is great for this kind of thing. Civilization is just so spread out that travel becomes a huge factor. Also, just keep any directions or locations vague. Then they have to actually look for that dungeon or something. They may end up spending a lot of time bumbling around in the woods until they can find whatever ancient tomb they're looking for. It's to the north. Well, the north is a big place.
>>
>>51165052
>>51165112
Any daily challenge that can be bypass via a level 1 spell isn't worth the trouble.
>>
>>51164402
>>51164919

Legendary Might: I really like the idea of a save bonus because of inherent draconic nature. I've never balanced saves but I feel like this should be closer to true legendary resistance. So that means it must activate AFTER you fail a save (which is already included in your version). We can do with as auto-succeed (identical to legendary resistance) 1/day. While mechanically effective vs save or sucks that you cannot afford to fail, it's not very exciting. If 1/day legendary resistance seems too strong in the crunch or too boring, a one save reroll per rage (after failure) works well and scales with # of rages. Alternatively we imitate monks and gain proficiency in all saves while raging.

The changes made to the breath weapon in Legendary might are honestly on the weak side but I wouldn't buff it more it since this class is already a barbarian with 2 attacks per turn plus bonus action breath weapons (again, DC and recharge scales with a mandatory barb stat, this is basically Quickened Burning Hands at level 3 on a barb, better than Quick BH at level 6).

Frightful Aura: I think this should apply the proper "frightened" condition and make it an active effect, rather than triggering when attacked. Perhaps upon entering a rage and using the free breathe weapon attack (referring to the one proposed in my other post under Dragon's Roar), all hostile creatures within 30/60 feet must make a Wisdom Save vs 8+Prof+Cha or become frightened until the end of their next turn, when they may repeat the save. Frightful Aura may only be activated once per minute. I don't quite like my suggestion on this one. It follows the frontload paradigm that we've followed so far by tacking it onto a rage activation, but it has overlaps with Intimidating Presence and Draconic Presence (DracoSorc Lv18). Also, the 1/min rule is awkward and solely to restrict lv20 barbs from toggling rage for a shitload of uses.
>>
>>51165052
Out of the Abyss does this. Moving around in the underdark from place to place trying to escape or find someone to help you escape, while being hunted by the drow
>>
How do y'all feel about magical items that are fuelled by the player sacrificing hitpoints? I think it's a cool idea, but I'm not really sure how to balance it.

For example, one of the ideas for a magic item I wanted to introduce to my campaign was a broach that let the wearer use their Bonus Action/Reaction to teleport 15 ft, but every time they chose to teleport they would have to roll one of their hit die and lose that much HP.

Another was a tea set where everyone participating would give up a hit die for 24 hours, and in exchange they would bank a '20', allowing them to switch out a single roll for that 20 over the next day.
>>
>>51165491
You could check out that featured "Blood Magic" Dungeon Masters Guild homebrew for inspiration. Basically involves sacrificing hit dice for a burst of features
>>
File: Hallways of Thime.jpg (362KB, 1158x818px) Image search: [Google]
Hallways of Thime.jpg
362KB, 1158x818px
one of my player doesnt enjoy combat.

she's a pretty decent person and she doesn't really complain in session, but when asked she clearly states she doesnt like it.

do you think there's a way to always design combat encounters so that she gets something else to do to help the party besides fighting?

i feel giving her a puzzle or something to complete while the other are trying to gain time is only going to pressure her, or worse, to make everyone feel like she's not playing the same game

last time i asked the advice was to ask her specifically what she didn't like about combat.

i will try to ascertain this, but in the meanwhile, do you guys have "general" advice? maybe sharing actual experience?
>>
>>51165491
I think it's ok, even if personally I'd be overly cautious about using it.
What I'm strictly against is items fueled by hit dice, because you're paying for combat benefits with a non-combat resource.

>keep any directions or locations vague. Then they have to actually look for that dungeon or something.
Morrowind was unironically the best Elder Scrolls game.
>>
>>51165491
In general, HP for effects is a neat idea.
Difficult to balance as overall as a party levels up. Hypothetical mid-level paladin would give up a HD in a heartbeat for an auto-crit.

The bonus action/reaction teleport seems neat and makes sense as a reaction retreat to avoid damage bigger than the cost.
>>
>>51165134
That pissed me off. There's literally no reason to think V is female for the first 1000 strips at least, and then a couple of obtuse readers get confused and Belkar makes a racist joke and suddenly nobody knows V's gender.
It wasn't even pandering (I don't make /pol/ arguments), it was just stupid.

>>51165034
I don't recall them being referred to as androgynous, except for the part that says intersex and genderfluid elves are a thing. Which is fine by me, but there's nothing that contradicts elfin manly men.
>>
>>51165520
Normally i'm against it but...
Have you tried not playing D&D?
The system is designed primarily for combat, and while you can certainly get good RP out of it, it isn't particularly well built for entirely social or puzzle play.
>>
>>51165553
Most mechanics I've seen solve this with something like "take 1 damage per level," to make it relevant at all levels.

>>51165530
Should quote >>51165153
>>
>>51165491
Why not sacrifice AC rather than HP? You can still get the flavour and it's probably more of a trade-off at higher levels.
>>
>>51165520
D&D in inherently combat-heavy. I've seen great success with players being low-combat effectiveness that are still a great boon to the party.

Skillmonkey bards/thieves are always fun, and so are control/support casters like sorcerer/cleric/bard(again).

If the problem is that she simply doesn't like it when combat occurs because she finds combat tedious or doesn't like the idea of fighting, D&D doesn't offer a lot of alternatives. D&D is almost solely designed around combat-centric settings.
>>
>>51165530
>Morrowind was unironically the best Elder Scrolls game.
What I would give for that game, but with updated graphics.
>>
>>51165601
Sacrificing AC seems neat but idk if that the same as the sacrificing >>51165491 was talking about. Seemed more like bloodmagic/vitality expenditure when I read it.
>>
>>51165520
Depends how much you like her and how much you're willing to homebrew something solely for her.

Speaking for myself, and purely because I love coming up with new mechanics and tinkering with them, I'd build her a new feat/class/spell that hinges on solving a puzzle in order to earn combat rewards, flavoured to be some sort of Warlock-esque pact with a Sphinx.

e.g.
Hanoi Tower -> advantage for rest of party for a round

Probably not that, I'd need a few days to come up with something workable, but it would be fun to try.
>>
>>51165601
Because AC is a calculated value, not a resource.
If you need a more convincing argument, consider that people have a REALLY bad concept of how important AC is (because humans can't into probability), and will likely make terrible decisions through no fault of their own.

>>51165645
If you don't mind the different mechanics, Morroblivion did come out a couple years ago.
>>
>>51165520
What class is she playing?
>>
>>51165520
I've been playing a lot of "pacifist" characters lately, and I find it a lot more engaging to try and figure out how to end a combat without being able to just go whole hog on somebody. With the release of the new Tranquility Monk, she might find some enjoyment in a fully support role.

Alternatively, you could help her design a sort of trap disabling rogue or something and offer interesting puzzles or similar that are involved in defusing a trap that is threatening the rest of the party while they're fighting monsters.
>>
>>51165520
Let's be honest, all of your players don't really enjoy combat. Combat is by far the weakest part of 5e.
>>
>>51165645
I'd rather have Lego Morrowind, but sadly Lego games don't do existing game franchises.
To everyone who never realized how much they need TES:Lego in their lives until now, I am sorry. It will never happen.

>>51165698
The problem with that is usually the other players, who want to use their shiny combat abilities.
>>
>>51165645
There are mods for that. Also open Morrowind someday.
>>
>>51165721
Just because you're a pacifist doesn't mean the rest of the party needs to be. The point is that the game can be made more interesting by focusing on combat interactions outside of "hit dude with pointy stick"
>>
>>51164982
The moment you, as a player, starts using any pronouns or the rest of the party has to, the gig is up, unless you're all willing to accept "he/his" as sort of a default.
>>
>>51165808
also the jig
fuck you i just woke up
idioms are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world
>>
>>51165651
Considering base AC is 10 + Dex, you can assume that some degree of AC is a) part of life, and b) how much you can dodge.

That in mind, reducing it still factors into flavour as exhaustion or weakness.

>>51165671
>likely make terrible decisions through no fault of their own
Isn't that what questionable, blood and vitality-draining magic is for?
>>
>>51165808
Always refer to that character by their name? Or maybe switch between him and her every so often?
>>
File: 1442435424066.jpg (831KB, 1287x800px) Image search: [Google]
1442435424066.jpg
831KB, 1287x800px
>>51164369
Does anyone have a spreadsheet / csv file with all the 5e SRD monsters?
>>
>>51165846
You're gonna look like an even bigger goob saying, "Jort takes Jort's sword and swings it at the enemy to Jort's left."
The most important thing to remember with this, and all other goofy character ideas, is that no one else at the table is really going to care even a fraction as much as you do, be it about the mystery or anything else. It's your character, not theirs.
>>
>>51165844
>Isn't that what questionable, blood and vitality-draining magic is for?
Perhaps, but it still doesn't make for good game mechanics.

>>51165846
>Always refer to that character by their name?
"Did anyone see Pat? I need to give Pat Pat's sword so Pat can fight Pat's nemesis."
>Switch between him and her every so often
That's a lot to keep track of for players who don't really care about your gimmick.
>>
>>51165520
Have a clear objective for combat other than killing stuff? Grab and deactivate the magical trap. Rescue a hostage to safety. Those kind of stuff? Maybe some kind of puzzle where you need cooperate with party member (and someone also has to hold the monster)?
>>
>>51165808
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
>>
>>51164982
Japanese barely uses pronouns anyways. It's not a gendered language like English slightly is and European languages are.
>>
>>51165897
>Perhaps, but it still doesn't make for good game mechanics.

I don't see why not. It wouldn't have to be called "give up AC", just a "penalty to AC".

Could even make it a penalty to Dex, reduce the modifier, and factor that into AC as a result.

Wouldn't be unreasonable to have Dex take a penalty due to vitality/blood-loss anyway.
>>
>>51165944
>It typically occurs with an antecedent of indeterminate gender
Outside of the modern LGBT movement, singular "they" refers to situations where the person referred to is an unknown. If you refer to someone as "they," you're saying "I don't know if it's a he or a she. It's definitely one of those but I'm not sure which one."
Using it as a gender-neutral pronoun for gender-neutral objects is a relatively recent phenomenon that is still much debated.
Not that there's anything wrong with it if your entire group is on board; it's just that it's not a given that they will be.

>>51165995
With HP, you know what you're giving up. If the cost is 10 hp and you have 80, you can gauge the effect of using the ability.
With AC, most people have no fucking idea. Reducing your AC by 1 can impact your effective health by anything from ~5% to ~50%, depending on your initial AC and the accuracy of your enemies. And from my observations of players and theorycrafters, most people really, really don't get that.
>>
File: Mountaintop Observatory.jpg (761KB, 1900x2640px) Image search: [Google]
Mountaintop Observatory.jpg
761KB, 1900x2640px
Wew. Lots of answers, thanks guys.

>>51165566
I've tried. I put a lot of work into social&puzzle encounters so as to circumvent a bit the D&D shortcomings you are speaking of. I also honestly dislike systems or scenarios that push for a danger (or an enemy) so huge that simply fighting it isn't an option. Once in a while, why not, but if the entire system is built like thus... it seems unfair. I guess that's stupid of me.

>>51165626
>>51165688
She's might play Artificer (Alchemist). We're not sure yet. I haven't been able to reach her since yesterday (that's kinda why i can't expend on what it is, exactly, that she dislikes). Honestly the last time we had a combat with this character she WAS useful, and she mad smart use of her abilities. But she did seem a bit disengaged.
>>51165698
I think I'll ask her if she's interested in a different character. Maybe the kind to be reading glyphs on the walls and trying to guess the murals' signification while the rest of the party is busy taking out monsters. I hope session zero will help with this, and I hope I can manage making encounters that fit this weird state of the party. But:
>>51165919
What I'm a bit afraid if I go for this is that the entire party ends up not putting any importance on the encounters themselves. Or she might feel a lot of pressure from the group in solving these puzzles before they get killed (that's probably a good thing but I'm not sure it's going to be healthy). I guess that it's fine, and that I'll have to take that risk.

>>51165667
That's kinda what I meant by the whole: " to make everyone feel like she's not playing the same game". It seems to me that it's going to be more distracting/disengaging for everyone, including her, and it'll feel weirdly artificial. If you do come up with better examples maybe that'd change my mind on this though?

me having something to say about all of your answers doesnt mean i dont appreciate them
>>
Would a setting created by reversing DnD assumptions be good, or just gimmicky? Disclaimer: I've never played any DnD beyond 5e set in the Realms.

Example: humans, halflings, dwarves, and elves are the common races per the PHB, and the rest are varying degrees of uncommon. Flip that around.
>>
>>51164721
HotDiQ is a shitty campaign, to be honest family.
>>
>>51166041
Subverting DnD just for the sake of subversion is gimmicky and pointless.
>>
File: GAZ10_TSR9241_The_Orcs_Of_Thar.jpg (92KB, 451x577px) Image search: [Google]
GAZ10_TSR9241_The_Orcs_Of_Thar.jpg
92KB, 451x577px
>>51166041
I mean, just set a campaign in a different part of the same world. They've been doing this for decades. Don't go out of your way to produce the bizarro versions of everything in D&D, because THAT's gimmicky.
>>
>>51166029
If it's for indeterminate gender, then it seems like it's ideal for what OP wanted. They weren't wanting a true blue gender neutral character, just one where what side of the binary they were was an unknown.

It is kind of a lame idea for a character if that's all there is to it. Better if it's an interesting quirk than their main character trait for roleplaying
>>
>>51166032
> DM that run more than one session a week
Who are you and where to find you.
>>
>>51166065
>>51166041
Depends if you give it context.

>random world where it's just all subverted
Gimmicky.
>world that was normal setting, but some dumb wizard tinkering with reality inverted it and the party are the only ones who know what it used to be like
Playable, hook-filled, interesting.

>>51166032
Alternative home-brew: make her a spirit traveller, so every time combat kicks up, she goes into a trance and interacts with the souls of the enemies. Her actions in the spirit plane affect the physical plane:

>party fighting goblins
>pacifist player goes into trance and talks to goblin
>diplomacy/persuasion/deception/interrogation where the first three can convey disadvantages to enemies while being interesting roleplaying element for player
>interrogation provides further plot hooks for party following combat
>>
>>51166041
DMG page 9 mentions exactly this.

As is, if it's just bizarro fantasy, that lacks a lot of substance.
>>
>>51166142
Not a good idea. The combat guy will feel bored and less engage while waiting for the persuasion.
>>
Has drunken vocaroo-anon been around in awhile?
>>
>>51166121
>one session per week

My group has yet to get two sessions in the same month, and some of the people ITT haven't played in months or years or ever.

Check your session privilege.
>>
>>51166032
>>51166142
Other ideas

>party fighting in dungeon
>floor starts to lower, threatening to crush them all
>control panel for trap hidden under a wall tile
>player attempts to disarm trap while the rest of the party fights off the hordes
>both groups are contributing to the combat in positive and engaging ways
>>
>>51166041
Question is too vague. It can mean anything from "making elves more common than humans" to "making demons lawful good."

>>51166102
Using it for a known, present character is really strange, though. It's like saying, "he or she" every time. Unless the character is completely obtuse, it makes no sense for them not to correct the speaker with their actual gender.
>>
>>51166175
I think you're making some generalizations of how mindless combat players are.
>>
>>51164982
>>51165846
I had a player that did this, the character was originally normal but wizard experiments changed that so they were both or neither or something. Changed pronouns during the backstory and in play at random and all that, it was a two-session short game though so if it's a longer game you may have to figure out some more stuff.

I don't like just leaving things unknown when knowing the truth would help make things interesting, but for a short game it was fine.
>>
>>51166121
Don't make me blush, I'm a dirty frenchie.
>>
>>51166222
Their post specified specifically the character themselves not knowing their own sex (perhaps some race without obvious sex characteristics) and thus there would be no ability to correct.

Also I think using the singular they is one of the least weird parts of that whole setup.
>>
> DM gives an okay to use mystic take two and the future take three

I did it /5eg/! time to enjoy Mind Vault!
>>
>>51166309
>specified specifically
I'm an idiot
>>
>>51166309
>there would be no ability to correct
This implies they aren't simply male or female either though, which is implied by using singular they. If they are male or female and nothing less or more, then they would know that unless there's something preventing that, which wasn't specified.
>>
How goofy would a monk 5/cleric 2 be?

Our party doesn't have any support class and the only other caster is a bladesinger.

I took the open hand monk up to 5, but as I'm out damaged by the paladin and fighter already, I think it'd be better to do supporting (stunning, healing, granting disadvantage/advantage) Also the light domain lets me dodge essentially for free.
>>
>>51165250

Hmmm well, I like some of your ideas. But I'm just not sure on limiting the breath weapons so much. Yeah they get a quickened flaming hands at 3rd level or the like, but...I'm not too sure how that's game breaking.

I really liked some of your Soul suggestions and the Breath-on-rage; as I hadn't considered stuff like doubling up on rage-breaths as you'd said.

I'm sure my players will find your input very helpful and I'll report back on how any playtesting goes.
>>
>>51166431
Ask the DM if he's okay with you rerolling into Tranquility monk from one of the latest Arcanas.
>>
>>51165052
Our SKT campaign has turned into this. Each session has been traveling to the next town, stop, next session get a new quest progression thing, encounter, stop, repeat.
>>
>>51166431
Way of Tranquility dude.
>>
>>51166431
I should say we had a cleric at the start but he hasn't shown up in about 2 months
>>
Do you folks think Zealot X/ Favored Soul X or Zealot / Cleric is better as a divine warrior? It'll be MAD as hell but it seems like it'd be pretty fun.

Perhaps Zealot with Magic initiate for Cleric spells?
>>
>>51166473
That might work. I only browsed the UA but they seemed to have more utility than the ones in the PHB.
>>
>>51166574
Umm.. Paladin...?
>>
>>51166574
I've been playing a Favored Soul Sorcerer with 3 levels of Vengeance Pally to recreate the 4e avenger. Full caster spell slots for smites + metamagic + bladesinger melee cantrips is really sweet
>>
>>51166574
I thought you can't concentrate or cast spell while raging?
>>
>>51165052
>>51166503
This has also been my experience in SKT.
The only time we've actually bothered kicking giant teeth in was when we passed by some crossroad town and found a giant in a tower. Rather than immediately murder it, someone started talking and this lead to us running halfway across the map to Grudd Haug and solving that.

Now we've just finished the Eye of the All-Father and are going back to Silverymoon via Mirabar's teleportation circle to participate as character witnesses in a trial. Fuck the giant apocalypse.
>>
File: dragonborn seduction.gif (484KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn seduction.gif
484KB, 300x222px
Would it be better to start as a Fighter and then Bard instead of going for Valor bard? I feel like the Valor Bard is a little choked for options at the level I will playing it (level 3) but I'm not sure I can just only take the single level in fighter, since their stuff is so good.
what do /tg/?

for reference i want to have a goliath bard skald who serves as the lorekeeper and legend collector for his tribe. He also wants to make legends himself, hence his adventurin'.
>>
>>51166896
Have you considered College of Swords? Not quite skald but still melee combat focused.
>>
Do you ban any classes/races/archetypes, DMs?
>>
>>51166636
That's pretty tasty, how do you feel about your combat contributions?

>>51166633
But I going to a divinely fueled rage seems pretty sick. Unless you mean A Paladin/Zealot.

>>51166649
IIRC you can cast a spell but can't concentrate while raging.
>>
guys I want to ask if glamour Bard is OP ??
>>
File: IMG_20170110_153254975.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_153254975.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Party of 8 level 10-12 managed to beat a vampire lord in their lair
Mind you they brought all radiant weapons and prepared, and 1 player wiped.
I'm the dm, do I throw harder stuff at them?
They also managed to trap the vampire Lords black shadow/cloud/thing in a legendary flask
How do I proceed?
>>
>>51166990
Variant human is the only thing I can see being banned
>>
>>51166990
I've banned gnomes.
>>
>>51166990
Elves
>>
>>51167116
> If you are able to cast Spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging
>>
>>51166990
Gnomes, variant humans, and bards.

Gnomes and bard players always seem to disrupt the game. Also I don't like them thematically.

Variant humans end being all anyone pics.
>>
>>51166990
Depends on the setting. In my homebrew world, I ban halflings, dragonborn, and gnomes because they don't exist.
For any unrelated one-shots or games in other settings, I don't really care too much.

As far as classes/archetypes, I keep an open mind. But I tend to disallow, for example, high elf shamans without a pretty compelling reason, because high elves don't practice shamanism (ancestor worship and animism aren't huge in a society that includes individuals that personally knew your great-great-great-grandfather and where speaking to nature spirits is a matter of course).
>>
File: stupidstaringman.png (404KB, 897x667px) Image search: [Google]
stupidstaringman.png
404KB, 897x667px
>>51167195
>play a straight Barb
>NOT able to cast spells
>CAN therefore concentrate on them whileRaging
>Artificer gives me Infused items
checkmate, crawford
>>
>>51167142
perhaps the flask begins attracting dark magic around the party. like a beacon or something. people who recently die in its presence are brought back to life as mindless, frenzied undead horrors. necromancers and other masters of dark magic converge on it and will stop at nothing to take it. the player wielding the flask must make repeated wisdom saves or they will soon lose their sanity or fall under the charm effect of the vampire.
>>
>>51167255
As a DM, I'd allow it but make the artificer have to concentrate.

>>51167183
>Edgy one-word answer guaranteed to ruffle feathers
(you)
>>
>>51167262
I like this
Thank you
I'm new to dming as well
They want to walk across all of faerun as well from southwest corner to the spine of the world. Any good ideas how I can spice up the journey without railroading?
>>
File: angryaboutelves.png (27KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
angryaboutelves.png
27KB, 300x100px
>>51167291
>edgy
>guaranteed to ruffle feathers
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>51167291
>Edgy
This buzzword has lost any meaning whatsoever and just made people into cloistered pussies.
>>
File: 1450155941960.jpg (119KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
1450155941960.jpg
119KB, 900x668px
I'm sure I'll just go back and read the last few threads I missed, but what thoughts were exchanged on the Artificer? How do you feel about "at will" spell like things and generally negligible component costs/free items as part of class strength?
>>
If my endgame bbeg is a cross dimensional warlord/king with an army hell bent on razing entire dimensions to norhing. Would it bee freezable that he would have access to technologies not available to the current DND setting? What kinds of tech? His army is a fuckton of warforged (nearly unlimited)
I can post back story but I meant this as a general question.
>>
>>51167262
I like this, except the second part. But that sounds old school and I'm not experienced with that style of DMing.

But I very much think it's a cool idea for the nearby deceased to rise. Maybe nearby undead are buffed.

Maybe it's kinda like Sauron's ring, it has some motivation and manipulates those around it to seek it out, and has particularly enhanced abilities to affect the undead.

Instead of periodic wisdom checks, maybe give the party some way to use it, that grants an advantage at the cost of aforementioned wisdom check? Perhaps of increasing difficult with increasing use.

Over time, maybe it attracts progressively larger hordes of undead, and it gets less and less safe for the party to stay still for a period of time.

At that point, I'd give them the option to dump it (it'll ravage the region and create an undead hellscape there), or destroy it (plot chain). I'd probably spend some time thinking of one or two alternative options so that doesn't become super railroady. Maybe an NPC offers to take it from them, with motives and consequences unknown, and you could leave it at that or weave it back in according to how much interest your players show in that plotline.

Overall 10/10 idea you've inspired me just by casually reading it
>>
>>51164402
This got me thinking; would it be to powerful if you allowed a dragonborn dragon sorc to add their Cha to the damage of their breath weapon once they have Elemental Affinity and the matching ancestry?
>>
>>51167480
It wouldn't be powerful if you allowed all Dragonborn period to add Cha (or even Con) to the damage of their breath weapon even without a feat or a matching type.
It's a shit feature to begin with.
>>
>>51166990

I used to, but now I've opened everything up.

I won't deny a player a thing, so long as they work with me on it.
>>
>>51164585

For the level 3 ability, you need to basically make it that for Favored Enemy purposes you get advantage on determining if a foe you're fighting is a caster (before they throw a spell out).

Level 7's advantage on spell saves is probably too strong for that level, I would probably say that you get it X times a long rest, evolving at level 15 to just be straight up advantage on spell saves.

Level 11 basically should just say, "add Counterspell to your list of Spells Known. In addition, you may cast it once per long rest without consuming a spell slot."

Level 15 could have it be that the target takes a d10 psychic damage per spell level cast (ie., higher spell level it is, more psychic damage die get rolled). But if you do the suggestion I added previously (full-on advantage on spell saves at 15) that will be too strong.
>>
>>51167435
Ed Greenwood would swear up and down that D&D characters can access modern Earth through planar travel magic. Even if you say that Earth is inaccessible to these characters and limit yourself only to published D&D settings, he may have gone to the Barrier Peaks in Oerth and found a bunch of sci-fi technology, he may easily have Spelljammer-level spaceships and guns, and if he stole warforged technology from Eberron then by extension he has Eberron's widespread mass-produced magitek like elemental-powered airships and trains. Still, the real question isn't what you think is feasible but what your players will tolerate, and that's a question I can't answer for you.

>freezable
Was that a joke? I can't tell
>>
Distracting strike or Trip attack?
>>
So what's the point of the artificier?
I've read the class but all his features sound pretty weak
>>
>>51167659
Thanks anon. Sadly freezable was just a typo
But now I got a fuckton of ideas for a new arc thanks to you reminding me about airships
>>
File: manikin mask.jpg (157KB, 1237x1444px) Image search: [Google]
manikin mask.jpg
157KB, 1237x1444px
>>51167414
Most seem to have liked it, I think it's overpraised. Who knows, it may be just the initial hype.
The alchemist is a package of glorified cantrips and is kinda worse at alchemy than the wizard archetype from the old Eberron UA, even more so if your DM would allow the potion mixing rule from the DMG. WotC should've kept the spend slots - make potions mechanic, really.
The gunsmith is nice, but your DM might throw a hissy fit if guns are not a desirable thematic addition to his campaign/setting.
The mechanical servant should've been it's own subclass, with maybe options in terms of what materials to use for your golem, or some other way of customization.
I also think the wonderous invention feature maybe should've been limited by rarity of possible items to craft, and not be a rigid list, just so you could have some more variety when other expansion books will be released.
Overall it's okay I guess.
>>
>>51167688
Utility class

Its features /are/ weak
>>
>>51167546
Yeah, I always thought it was a neat little feature, but only 1/short rest seems a little underwhelming. What about this scenario then: a character that is mechanically a Yuan-ti Pureblood, but has the poison breath weapon. I know a lot of people agree it's a very powerful race, but would adding one more only semi-useful feature break it?
>>
Why is the Artificer's infusions limited to such a short time period?

I feel like it makes the ability really pointless.
>>
>>51167302
you can add various "towns of interest". bearing in mind that travelling so far in such small groups is no easy feat. They'll need to resupply often and beware the terrain/weather as much as any monster. That being said a good starting point is to create "towns of interest" places they'll need to visit for supplies that puts them on various quests.

>party out of supplies, only town is behind large wooden wall. very wary of outsiders, a mysterious being keeps sneaking in and killing villagers
>players encounter large impassable river. local willing to ferry them across if players do something for him first
>town at edge of forest attacked by werewolves. players need to go through forrest but werewolves will ambush them
>terrain is a blinding wasteland of snow. players need a guide. must ask around and be able to offer something in return.
>>
>>51167450
you might want to play it subtle at first though. if you go straight to the "oh no undead everywhere" route players will just dump it right away.

other than that. sounds aces. glad I could help.
>>
>>51167765
I don't know, an eight hour period is pretty straight forward especially if the party knows they are going into a fight.

Place some healing spells on someone's gear they can trigger in a pinch and what not.

It just takes a bit of planning is all.

Would be better if they were a half caster instead.
>>
>>51167830
I'm not the original poster, I just liked the idea.

But yeah, I'd have a mini adventure go by before the effects started off (and at first those effects would be mundane), unless the party was deadset on dealing with the thing immediately.
>>
>>51165520
The new Tranquility monk is just that, they hate fighting and can cast Sanctuary whenever they feel like it
>>
>>51167688
It's a Warlock that leans more on utility than damage.
It's a utility bot with high damage cantrips.
>>
>>51167835
But how is that any better than just casting a healing spell yourself? The class' most emblematic feature basically amounts to spellcasting but with a planning tax.
>>
>>51167651
3- makes sense

7- the level 3 and 7 abilities are basically the mage slayer feat split up into 2 and added 25 feet of range. I don't think it would make sense to make it less powerful, especially since it's specifically only against spells

11- agree, but short rest would be better I think

15- 1d10 per spell level makes sense
>>
>>51167738
Wouldn't it be even better all around if they added a method to produce magic items and spell potions that aren't bound to class features? That way any class with the material and time investments could make things, but Artificer could have access to guaranteed "minor" potion "cantrips" and a few "free" items. Hell, they get expertise in 2 tools, so maybe in PHB2 they'll include more high tier crafting rules that actually require use of tool skills, since the Artificer class itself doesn't.
>>
One of my players wants to play an awakened orangutan bent on revenge against the evil scientist who awakened and exploited him. What are some good racial features for an awakened orangutan
>>
>>51167952
>planning tax
Are you under the impression that Artificers cannot cast these spells without channeling it into an Infusion first? Because that would be wrong.

Infusion is purely a bonus. You skirt both the action economy and the concentration economy (M-Webster's 2017 Word of the Year, get ready) by letting other people key shit when they desire it.
>>
>>51167952
Its shifting the action economy aspect, if you've ideas to make it better we can discuss them here and prepare thoughts and comments for the survey they'll drop on monday. I get that the intention is instead of the artificer flitting around the battlefield to cast some of those buffs, allies can choose when to drop them at the time. Really its just moving around the action economy.
>>
could use some advice.

last session was a dungeon ending with a fight in a dragons lair. Me and party all have work so we couldn't see game through to end and had to stop mid-fight

now we are scheduled to continue this saturday but one of my players had something come up and can't come anymore. I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I NPC them? Give them to the other players to control? Have them suddenly fall into a coma? there is a good possibility they'll die but I'd feel like a dick if I killed of a character and their player wasn't even there.
>>
>>51168033
High acrobatics/climbing speed sounds like something an orangutan would have.
>>
>>51168002
You're supposed to work with your DM to do that. We have all these tool proficiencies from the PHB and no documentation on how it's supposed to be used. Alchemy / herbalism kits are supposed to make healing potions, but there's fuck-all provided for materials, costs, time needed, magic involved, whatever. The most in-depth crafting rules the books provide is "5gp a day for mundane bullshit" that only happens between AL games when your party has half a year of downtime.

5E wants to get away from all the screwy minutiae of 3E, and that includes retarded crafting rules that only work for half the classes and require specific spells known. Let's not go down this shitty road.
>>
>>51168068
Yeah that sounds right for anow orangutan. I've also thought about giving him extra reach like the bug bear since they're long gangly armed fuckers
>>
File: fe2z.jpg (75KB, 700x550px) Image search: [Google]
fe2z.jpg
75KB, 700x550px
>>51168047
Obviously you put the whole fight on hold until such a time that the party is all there.
In the meanwhile, it's time for [CAMPAIGN NAME] GAIDEN
>>
>>51167765
There's an argument that infused spells don't have to be concentrated upon, allowing buff stacking, provided you plan ahead.
>>
File: 1480517555475.png (509KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1480517555475.png
509KB, 596x628px
>>51168137
thats...a really good idea actually.

thanks.
>>
File: Yawning Portal.jpg (832KB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Yawning Portal.jpg
832KB, 1920x1160px
Here's the full cover art for the upcoming book, Tales from the Yawning Portal.
>>
>>51168206
They are concentrated on by the person using the item.
That means you can have as many concentration spells running as you have party members, even if you only have one caster (the artificer).
>>
>>51168086
I know the DMG has rules for the cost of Magic Item Folumlas and instructions as treasure. I feel like making magic items should be a bit of an adventure in and of itself. A bit like in 2E where successfully making one was an accomplishment worthy of gaining XP.

I think when we get an Eberron Supplement, that will bring the concept of Schema back in a big way. Instead of being once per day low level wands they'll be easy to copy magic item formula for low or near to mundane magical items.
>>
>>51168101
This might sound like too much, but maybe give him something like an oogabooga roar as a bonus action (or as a full one, if that's too strong) that stuns an enemy for 1 round on a failed DC11 or 13 Const, regain use on long rest. He's an experiment, after all, and judging by volo's its not uncommon to give races active abilities that regain their use(s) on a short/long rest.
>>
>>51167142
Obviously the vampire lord is going to have connections. Allies, servants, perhaps even a master or otherworldly patron. Even its enemies could be interested in obtaining the bottled essence, once it is discovered.
>>
>>51168246
Did Crawford give a ruling on that? The text says the creature can activate the spell, and the only reason I can think of to use a word other than cast is that it's distinct from casting. It then says the spell is cast, but not who is casting it. I suspect any concentration needed is done by the item, bypassing conventional limitations.
>>
>>51168272
I don't know anything about 2E but theres nothing to say that a player doesn't need to go on a particular mission to finalise the enchantment/item needed for it. Such a quest could easily be a lot of fun and worth a lot of XP.
>>
>>51168366
Agreed! Or perhaps even the collection of unique components and objects that might be useful for making the enchanted object.

Fallen leaves or sap from a magical tree in an unusual place.

Iron Ore or some other metal component pulled from the shores of a burning lake in hell or the elemental plane.

Etc
>>
>>51168332
>an Artificer can run up to 5 concentration spells on a single target without ANYONE concentrating on anything
Does this sound sane to you? Because it's not. Getting around the caster being the one who concentrates on a spell is already a tremendous boon.
>>
>>51168047
if the character happens to get downed have them stabilize, guaranteed. they might be taken out of combat but if the group wins, the player will still have their character when or if they come back.
>>
>>51168332
Sort of a willful read of it. You could just as easily interpret it as the artificer having to do all the concentration.

Personally, I find that having the activator do the concentration is the most reasonable way to go about it.
>>
New to tabletop DnD but am an avid player of the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games.
I noticed that there is no weapons mastery/grandmastery as there is in 2E rules. Is there something that replaces this? I know that 5E has general weapons proficiency with "simple" or "martial" weapons instead of specific.
>>
>>51168457
This begs a question, does the Artificer need to concentrate on his infusions that require concentration when they are activated or is it the activator who needs to maintain concentration?
>>
>>51168628
No. You can only improve damage via feats, better weapons, class features, or ability score improvements. I do think the game would benefit from a gradient of proficiency with weapons but 5e is very focused on simplicity
>>
>golem removed, make that its own archetype
>expand the spell list
>infusions last 24 hours
>can craft additional magical items eventually, at some time/gold cost, and either list or rarity restrictions (instead of a set cap forever)

>gunsmith renamed to weaponsmith or something
>weaponsmith gun is changed to be an upgrade to an existing weapon (Magical or mundane), retaining the original weapon's profile but gaining thunder cannon abilities, with same rules for making a new one
>always proficient with this new weapon
>weaponsmith can transfer magical properties (including +1, etc) from a magical weapon to a mundane weapon (eg, turning a +1 axe to a +1 bow) with DM fiat
>weaponsmith can temporarily upgrade party members weapons to count as magical (maybe for 8 hours, starting after a long rest)
>can fabricate mundane weapons, including "exotic" (non PHB) weapons if he has access to an existing one
>can retool weapon to different damage types on a short rest

>I have no idea what to do with the alchemist or even what it looks like in my brain

My other idea is to basically copy warlock's Pact > Archetype > Invocations structure
>>
>>51168637
Literally everyone has already been saying it's the activator that concentrates since the day this was published.
>>
>>51168628
Those are proficiency groupings.

Like, base proficiency in a large group of weapons instead of the option to spend proficiency slots on individual weapons and then double down on those slots to be better at them.

Third Edition and Fourth gave feat trees for greater degrees of specialization with a specific weapon or weapon types by special qualities and damage type.

Fourth doesn't have a stacked proficiency for that, but in the option feat rules there are options for being better than just proficient with swords, bows, and the like. Additionally for most martial characters there are class features and "Fighting Styles" that affect a wider scope of the weapons and equipment you are proficient with.

Though, in general terminology for 5E, Proficieny with Weapons, Skills, Tools, and Saving throws means that checks involving them involve your scaling over time/levels Proficiency Bonus.

Proficiency with Armor allows you to use that armor without noticeable penalty, though for some of the heavier armors there may be other requirements to use on top of just being proficient.

Let me link you the D&D Basic 5E pdfs and the srd.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

http://5e.d20srd.org/
>>
>>
>>51168763
>>
File: tumblr_ln9516g7Mu1qbm1xvo1_1280.jpg (98KB, 612x799px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ln9516g7Mu1qbm1xvo1_1280.jpg
98KB, 612x799px
If I'm reading this right, Oath of Treachery's poison strike attack lasts for only the one attack, right?
>>
>>51168101

Okay, but lower ground speed.
>>
>>51169152
Think so, yeah.
>>
File: FortranCardPROJ039.agr.jpg (376KB, 1687x809px) Image search: [Google]
FortranCardPROJ039.agr.jpg
376KB, 1687x809px
What do you think of this?

>Spell Tablet
>Similar to a spell scroll, a Spell Tablet allows creatures with spellcasting ability to cast the spell engraved on it, however unlike a scroll the tablet is not destroyed after use.
>A normal Spell Tablet is engraved with a level 1 spell and cast it once a day, however can be used afterwords again to cast the spell if the user expends a spell slot. The spell is always cast at level 1 even if you use a higher level slot.
>You can make a Spell Tablet by casting a Spell into a blank tablet, to store higher level spells you need a separate tablet for each extra level above 1 and must have each tablet on hand for the entire casting.

Basically I'm making a NPC Artificer/Wizard who's got the equivalent to an Artificer robot buddy except that they've been upgrading for over 20 years, so now their construct has super advanced things like the ability to "read" (think like an old punch card system) tablets for spells (similar to Infused Spells), and might let players get a few blank Tablets.

I'm thinking they'd be something in theory easily replicated but needs expensive reagents to make, like Platinum for the surface of the tablet.
>>
File: moonhat.jpg (193KB, 500x524px) Image search: [Google]
moonhat.jpg
193KB, 500x524px
When using a sling to fire an Otiluke's Freezing Sphere in globe form, would there be any penalties for using the sling's longest range? I know there'd normally be disadvantage to hit an enemy from that far, but how does that rule apply when you're just aiming for a general area?

Also it seems pretty dumb that you can choose to throw the spell only 40 feet when it has a casting range of 300 and explosion radius of 60. The only possible time l could think of where it would be better to throw it instead of just casting it is if you could drop it off a cliff or something high with a drop longer than 300. Are there any other possible uses for throwing it?
>>
So to add a bit in here about wild mage sorcerers wild surging and critical hits allow the player to pick the result of one table for that swing, a roll of 2 20's on either advantage or disadvantage allows the player to the results of all the tables for that swing.
And bit about destroying it requires striking a sphere of annihilation 1,001 times upon which both items are destroyed.
However adding any text will increase the page count by one. Should I do it anyways or just deal with the empty half a page?
>>
Artificers infuse magic, the user has to concentrate on the spell yes?
>>
>>51168628
They intentionally got rid of the ability to specialize in specific weapons because it's not fun to find magic weapons you can't use. You can take feats and fighting styles based on particular groups of weapons (two-handed weapons, polearms, etc.) but

The benefits that weapon specialization used to provide in 2e, increased bonuses to hit and damage and the increased number of attacks per round, is now covered by proficiency bonus, ability to increase ability scores, and the Extra Attack class feature, respectively.
>>
>10, 15, 14, 8, 15, 8

or

>10, 15, 12, 10, 15, 8

Which one? I'm an Open Hand Monk
>>
>>51169867

As an Open Hand Monk, you do have some tools to keep you out of harm's way, so strictly speaking, you don't need a high Con.

That being said, I make it a personal rule never to go below 14 Con.
>>
>>51169867
The first one. You are a monk, and the monk always dies first. You need all the help you can get to not die, and that's worth being 5% worse at Int checks that the whole table will be rolling anyway.
>>
>>51169768
Correct.
>>
>>51168047
Give them to the best player to have control of.
It's more fair that way.

Also, like another person said, you can ensure that player his character will be okay with the only exception being a complete TPK.
But if there is a TPK, you can always cutscene a conclusion and have them all not actually die. But still suffer some heavy consequence depending on the current narrative.

I'd say it would be a mistake to let them know they're completely safe no matter what. Because then it's possible or even likely, depending on the player, the one controlling the unkillable party member would be used for the risky plays.

Still, you're mid combat with a dragon. What size is the dragon? How many rounds do you have left? There's got to be some idea you have as a DM of whether or not they're doing well.

Also, you can always fudge things if the party gets too close to something like a TPK and let them win. This isn't ideal, but it is a solution.
>>
Thoughts on the different third party content producers like....well the only one I know of is Kobold Press.
>>
>>51170019
Kobold Press is hit-or-miss. Their display quality is pretty good but be sure to look at stuff on a case-by-case basis before allowing it... just like homebrew, UA, and non-core content.
>>
>>51169903
>>51169908
Also, should I go with Alert, Mobile or Lucky? I'm a human variant.
>>
>>51169867
>Open Hand Monk
8 15 15 8 15 8
Variant human
Take a feat that gives dex wis or con and get them all to 16 otherwise your monk will be useless
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (23KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1365812965578.jpg
23KB, 411x292px
I'm a Wizard (level 7) and I'm not sure what I should be doing in combat,

What I generally do is I start combat with a concentration spell, such as Hypnotic Pattern if there's a lot of baddies, or a Suggestion if there's only a few, or now I just got Polymorph and Banishment which could be cool in our campaign with a lot of extraplanar people.

But then what? After I've used my Concentration slot I can only really do things like Scorching Ray and Fireball, yet almost all enemies we face are resistant to Fire damage.
I'm ending up doing nothing but Ray of Frost (which thankfully I picked up instead of Fire Bolt in anticipation of fire resistance), but even Scorching Ray doesn't do that much, and Fireball is usually too risky to use.

Is there something more useful to do with non-concentration spells than 10-20 damage?
>>
Curious what you guys think are some good feats for the artificer.
>>
>>51170095

Monks love Mobile. Being able to hit and run away with their large move speed is golden. I don't personally like Alert. I am using Lucky on one of my characters now. It's not as good as it seems. It's good, but I think it's overhyped.
>>
>>51170162
What wizard school are you?
>>
>>51170239
Divination
>>
I'm working on a hexcrawl, and am currently making encounters for a lv 3-4 grasslands/hills area. Do you guys think 1 Orog + 2d4 orcs, 3d6 velociraptors and 1d4 ogres are appropriate encounters for this?
>>
>>51170246
You can make great use of your portent feature by making sure the strongest enemy fails their save.

Or if you get lucky and land a 20 for your portent you can give that to your biggest single target damage dealing party member.

Outside of that try to see what your crowd control options are. Though, that usually takes up a concentration spell and isn't always necessary. Or try to think of ways to end combat without necessarily murdering everyone in your path.

As a wizard you don't need to be worrying about dealing massive amounts of damage with your spells. If you were an evocation wizard, then maybe.

Later on when you get access to spells like disintegrate, your portent will make you a damage dealing god to whoever is unlucky enough to get hit with it if you're able to make them fail their save.
>>
>>51170333
And to say again to really emphasize.
If you're locking down enemies that makes it much easier for your party members to fuck them up, then you're more than carrying your weight in combat.

Hypnotic pattern as you mentioned is already an amazing spell when there's lots of bad dudes.
>>
>>51170214
Sharpshooter is okay-ish for Gunsmith. Other than that, boosting Int for alchemist and Dex for Gunsmith is more important than any gains feats would provide.
>>
>>51170162
Grease and Blindness/Deafness do not require concentration, if you like that kind of thing.
>>
>>51170162
there isn't much control outside of concentration. At that level all I can think off is blindness, grease and sleep, but there might be a few more. Magic Missile and Chromatic orb are good choices for damage when you don't want to fling a cantrip or use fire
>>
>>51170378
Sure, seems to me like alchemist doesn't really require much of anything outside of int.

I mean, having higher dex can be nice for a boost to their AC I suppose, though. And any checks to remain seated on their mechanical servant if the ride turns rough.

Say you went variant human, though. What would you pick?
>>
20 levels straight shadow monk or dip 3 levels in Rogue to "pshh, nothing personnel" people more effectively with poisons and assassinate? Eventually missing out on empty body bums me out massively.
>>
File: mid-life-crustacean-2.jpg (109KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mid-life-crustacean-2.jpg
109KB, 640x360px
What is your opinion on Adventurers League?
>People that go to AL?
>The structure of adventures/mods?
>General set up of expectations?
>>
>>51167132

Does it have the hability to inspire himself like the lore bard?

Then no
>>
>>51170476
As an alchemist?
Alert
Healer
Med armour feat for 2 AC from a shield
Lucky
Resilient
Skilled for more tool expertise that you will never use
Tough
Maybe mobile if you want the extra movement. Attacks are 30ft and it isn't hard for an enemy to move that far in one turn
>>
>>51170476
Healer if I want to go full support.

Ritual Caster (Wizard) if I want to go full utility (pick Find Familiar as a first take and flavor it as a homunculus-type creation).

Tough is always an option, especially for a d8 class.

Medium Armor Master might not go amiss.
>>
>>51168033

Firbolg reskinned
>>
Would it be unfair to use a spiked shield or the like as a dual wielding weapon? Even just like a d4 or d6 with no modifier.
>>
>>51170577
Useful for new people.
The people are a massive hit or miss. Our current home group started as AL in store. While still at FLGS, a few randoms came in. One particular neckbeard stuck around for 2 or 3 months. We told him he needs to buy a book or learn the game or something if he wants to continue. He also stank pretty bad.

Stucture is whatever your group wants. Campaign books are adventures. Modules are more like 2 to 4 hour stand alone missions. Either way AL rewards min/maxxing. Not imbalanced play. Lots of AL DMs at Cons are anal as hell.

Expectations? Expect gamers to fall into stereotypical roles. Keep expectations low and they could surprise you.

Like I started with though. My current group all started as AL guys and girls who were interested in playing and didnt have somewhere to play or meet.
>>
Why is Healer worded as "Maximum number of hit dice" instead of level?
>>
>>51170577
>What is your opinion on Adventurers League?
Bland yet entertaining

>People that go to AL?
The usual neckbeards, the odd girl, mostly okay people

>The structure of adventures/mods?
Usually dungeon crawls, or hardcore rails

>General set up of expectations?
RAW is king, don't expect to get creative with things that aren't clearly stated in the rulebook because it is standardized to a T
>>
>>51170829
Non player characters do not have levels, they have hit dice.
>>
>>51170821
I've been going since about August, and I've run into this one fucking guy whose been immersed in tg culture for at least most of his life and he can't even bother to learn his AC. Where do these people come from?
>>
Has anyone ever DM'd Kobold Press content (adventures, using their monsters, etc. etc.)?

Asking because they have a Gen Con promotion coming up where they'll comp your badge if you run some of their adventures. Trying to see what I'm getting into.
>>
>>51170963
Kobold press did Book of Lairs right?

I did some of them, weren't so bad. They were slightly tweaked to fit a custom setting though.
>>
>>51170963
The Tome of Beasts is pretty decent, though after awhile you realize a lot of stat blocks are just tweaked verisons of MM stuff. I lost track of how many times I realized something was using a modified lich statblock.

There's a couple of dumb things like creatures that inflict exhaustion levels on hit, and have multiattack, as well as creatures with stat drain attacks that should have been left behind in 3.5.

Still more hits than misses though.
>>
>>51170907
I have no idea. This particular neckbeard argued (without a book) that land druid domain spell lists are daily abilities.
>>
I AM BUILDING A CAMPAIGN. HOW DOES THIS ENCOUNTER SOUND? THOUGHTS? OPINIONS? VERY DUMB IDEAS? HOOKS AND IDEAS FOR LATER?

as the party makes camp for the night something feels off (easy will check). (if fail, take 1 hp damage per half-hour, if pass feel fatiged but no mechanical effect)

detection spells spark with results that imply high background levels of magic and give a vague direction.

magic is death magic, if the spells get lucky they specifically detect "freed souls"(what you get around a body thats died less than a half-day ago).

if the party follows the spellwork they find a crowd of figures in red and white robes standing around a great stone altar, crooning a death-prayer-chant-song-thing.

https://youtu.be/QOazzYxrXrw

a couple of dozen bound captives are held in a cage and being led in a line to the altar where a trio of figures are systematically killing them, tearing out their hearts, butchering them, and neatly sorting the bits.(current count 30, kill one every round.)

looking over the process is a person on a great stone throne set upon the altar, a skull mask shines in the darkness.

this ritual is a Dark-Hallow a means by which a person is converted from mere humanity to the status of demonhood. this typically allows the brand new demon to grant boons and good fortune to those that helped them rise.

if the ritual is completed(1 round after the last captive is killed) the figure on the throne becomes a demon [need to figure what kind]

>the party can
1.) leave(and probably deal with him and his cult later)
2.) interupt the ritual(potentially saving the captives)
3.) other (cause a party will find a way for there to be an 'other' option)

cultists are armed with man-catcher poles and daggers and low level spells.
the leader has levels in Wizzard or Cleric
>>
File: unnamed.gif (871KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
871KB, 256x192px
First time player here.
I'm making a monk. How do I not fuck this up?
>>
>>51171432
If the party leaves and doesn't engage, then you need to make it clear the new demon is the same as the skull mask guy they saw performing the ritual earlier.

If you're killing only 1 captive per round, and there are a couple dozen still left in cages, you likely won't ever get to the last one before the party stops the ritual.

They should either speed up once they see the party interfering, have some damn good body guards (stronk dudes to distract the party with while they continue), or some better combination of both of these things.

You could even have the evil guy on the throne be the one to bark out these orders. Perhaps it's in desperation because he wants to become a demon, yo. And in rushing the end of the ritual he kinda fucks up and doesn't get all the power he desires.

Perhaps running away to try again, or dying there like a bitch.

If he runs to reattempt on another day he can be sort of half-demon, and deformed. Still plainly recognizable to the party.
>>
>>51171508
Hope you get really good rolls or point buy to be 8 15 15 8 15 8 before racial modifiers. Monk's arguably the one class that is MAD out of the box, wanting to get 20's in two different stats before touching CON.
>>
>>51171508
>508â–¶
>File: unnamed.gif (871 KB, 256x192)
You're already playing 5e, so you've already fuked up.
>>
>>51171508
Dex as your highest stat, followed by Wis, followed by Con. Don't pick Four Elements. Don't be afraid to spend ki for your defensive Step of the Wind abilities. Pick up the Mobile feat but only if you've got at least 18s in Dex and Wis (or if you are variant human).
>>
>>51171508

Ignore this faggot >>51171600. 5e is pretty good.

Just make sure you go shadow or open hand.
Shadow is for ninja. Open hand is for your gif.
>>
>>51171549
>you likely won't ever get to the last one before the party stops the ritual.
I'm counting on that.

suppose I kill 2 or 3 per round...the captives(if saved) will already fit nicely into a thing I might have happen later...

>They should either speed up once they see the party interfering, have some damn good body guards (stronk dudes to distract the party with while they continue), or some better combination of both of these things.
there are like, 40 cultists in the clearing while the sacrifices are going down.
high numbers of commoners, maybe a warrior or two.
the speed up might be pretty good too, it's going into the notes for the encounter.

>And in rushing the end of the ritual he kinda fucks up and doesn't get all the power he desires.
this is getting added to the list because I like this idea

>Perhaps running away to try again, or dying there like a bitch.
I have so many big enemies running away in the first act of this campaign...by the second or third act the party is going to have it's own little League of Evil Assholes gunning for them.
>>
>want to join some game on roll20
>gets fucking tired when trying to write applications
what now 5eg?
>>
This new artificer class has got me craving being able to play a "power armour" character.

Is there any decent homebrews allowing for that?
>>
>>51171682
>League of Evil Assholes

A team of super villains conspiring against the heroes is always a fun trope. Especially when the super villains are all still selfish assholes at the end of the day and will fuck each other over if they see an opportunity to get something they want.
>>
>>51171771
Oh, and if you do end up with a League of Evil assholes, make sure you get the party a way to scry on one of their enemies at some point so you can cutscene an evil meeting for them.
>>
File: Monk paths.png (1MB, 2381x842px) Image search: [Google]
Monk paths.png
1MB, 2381x842px
>>51171508
>>
>>51171738
Just refluff enlarge person, stoneskin and similar stuff
>>
>>51171798
>>51171771
so far I have a "bone artificer" (necromancer type thing)
a really good Bandit leader
potentially that wannabeaDemon
a Pirate and her crew
a crooked politician or two
a deposed noble family.

am I over-doing it yet?
>>
>>51171805
How is Long Death? Any better than Open Hand?
>>
>>51171805
shit now I want to make a long death/death domain cleric that just bros out with spirits
>>
>>51171967
Looks like a decent sinister six.
After you drop the demon guy plotline on them you should start working on wrapping up some of these arcs.

I can easily see them teaming up, a lot of them seem to fit in natural pairs quite well. And also easy to see how they might betray one another.

noble family and politicians
pirate and bandit leader
necromancer and demonguy
>>
>>51172277
Shit you could even mix it up by just having one of the pairs fight outright. And let the party pick a side.
>>
File: balrog.png (153KB, 249x591px) Image search: [Google]
balrog.png
153KB, 249x591px
How do I make Balrog?
>>
>>51172377
Monster Manual page 55
Change the letters a little bit
>>
>>51172303
>>51172277
oh, only the first three, maybe 4 will happen before the end of the first major section.

the politician is just because I assume there will be one they hate by some point or other.

I worry I've given myself too many tools to kill the players with, but then, I like villains(I blame WORM). sure, some need killing, but they're so much more fun to have.
>>
>>51167414
Is that mage wielding a gun with his own soul trapped inside it? Fucking metal.
>>
File: 1460147954427.png (587KB, 933x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460147954427.png
587KB, 933x720px
I'm a 3.5e babby and on top of that a total fucking moron who's a waste of space. How do I make a character in 5e? What do I need to know, other than my rolls? Please explain it like I'm 5 and have a learning disability.
>>
>>51172526
yeah, it's a good idea to resolve them before too much time passes, in my opinion.

Players often build up "bosses" in their head more than 5e combat can really deliver. Role play them good and have their schemes be dastardly. Then let them die like the weak bitches they are. That's where most of the fun lies.
>>
>>51172720
1. Figure out your stats
2. Figure out your proficiencies
That's like 90% of the game, because every roll is 1d20+stat+maybe proficiency.
>>
>>51172720
It's the easiest shit in the world, senpai.
Download players' handbook.

Look at a class you think is interesting. Pick a class you like. Then pick a race. Then pick a background.

Apply what it tells you to.
If you can't do that, and you have a smart phone, download one of the character creators. I think there's a good one for android but I don't recall the name. Probably just 5e character creator.
>>
>>51172738
>Players often build up "bosses" in their head more than 5e combat can really deliver.
this is a 3.5e game, I came here for a concept check on the Dark-Hallow encounter. but I also intend to not let these guys stay static, all the different BBEGs get character levels and level alongside the party.
>>
File: 1483938907576.png (501KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483938907576.png
501KB, 1280x720px
>>51172720
>rolling for stats
>5e
Don't try to important a weird mechanical concept from 3.5e. Unusual character designs require fluffing and may not fit into the world.

>>51171508
Unless you're aiming for something like 'mobile' from variant human to keep away from enemies (monks engage in melee combat but are rather squishy sometimes) then aim for +2 dex and +1 wisdom from racial modifers, then use all your ASIs to increase dex or wis.
Don't play it if you use standard array instead of point buy if you want a feat from variant human. Don't play it if you roll for stats and your stats don't include at least two 15s or so.
Remember, you are not a tank. At later levels, your main ability is to stun enemies and such.
>>
>>51172793
oh okay, I'm not super experienced with 3.5e
And of course, you're the judge of what's best for your game.

I also level up BBEGs accordingly. Would be kinda shit to leave certain NPCs low level.

When I said let them die like the weak bitches they are, what I meant was having it be a quick and decisive fight can be better than a long drawn out slug fest. At least in 5e.

Also, I always find it interesting when I use a politician as a bad guy and the party arrives to kill him only to realize he only had about 20 hp as he wasn't any sort of trained fighter. Just an asshole with influence and no backbone.
>>
>>51172793
what are the BBEGs even doing to earn XP?

on a large scale, what does a healthy experience economy look like among developed Adventuring States?
>>
Playing a bladelock and just got darkness.

Kinda confused as to how this affects enemies, in particularly ranged and casters.

Say im standing next to an enemy caster and have darkness cast on myself.

The darkness covers the enemy which to my mind blinds him until he can get out of it (giving me an opportunity attack) - which prevents him from casting on me or anyone else with magical attacks.

Likewise, no-one can see in and thus can't target me nor him with ranged attacks or spells.

Is this right? What confuses me is that being "blind" doesn't actually impede spellcasting and not many spells explicitly require sight of a target.
>>
>>51172904
>what are the BBEGs even doing to earn XP?
It's a game anon.
But if you must ask, they're out farming mobs while adventurers are in dungeons.
>>
>>51172918
You're right. In most cases being blinded doesn't stop them from casting spells.

However, what it will do is give you advantage on your attack against them. In addition, if they have to make an attack roll against you, but they can't see you (can only hear), then they will make that roll with disadvantage.

It's a pretty fun strategy. However it can often fall apart if an enemy wizard just fireballs your dark cloud.

Or when you realize your allies also can't see through or into it.
>>
>>51172918

Pretty much all spells have the stipulation "point you can see." Can't see shit if you're blind. I'm sure there's exceptions, but I don't know them off the top of my head.
>>
>>51172884
>what I meant was having it be a quick and decisive fight can be better than a long drawn out slug fest.
ah I see, yes.
this is good, because I like slug-fests

>Also, I always find it interesting when I use a politician as a bad guy and the party arrives to kill him only to realize he only had about 20 hp as he wasn't any sort of trained fighter. Just an asshole with influence and no backbone.
and literally like, one good stab, away from being an issue...unless the politician pulls a "the will of dunkelzahn"(a shadowrun thing) and has a price set on the heads of his killers. or if the City Watch is far more competent than they should be.

>>51172904
in order>>51171967
>building newer and more complicated skeleton-monsters
>being an effective highwaywoman and small-camp bandit leader
>by being a demon/failure/abomination thing, sacrificing people, and stealing-selling souls
>pirates gonna pirate
>doesn't actually need to level to be a threat
>sewing distension
>>
>>51171771
I'm amassing a nice rogue's gallery in one of the campaigns I DM too. So far it's:

-Dragonborn sorcerer amassing an army of kobolds and other dragon-related critters to serve his red dragon master. Will attempt to besiege Baldur's Gate when he has an army.

-A death cult leader who they haven't actually met yet. Will attempt to release a zombie plague in Baldur's Gate.

-A retired adventurer who is going to betray them after he figures out how to make himself an extremely powerful vampire using the aforementioned death cult's rituals. Will flee into the wilds if he is not immediately stopped, returning to murder the Lord of Baldur's Gate and install himself as Lord by force.

-A local Zhentarim boss who they very much upset during a Taken-esque side quest. Will attempt to get the Lord of Baldur's Gate in their pocket or potentially overthrow him and install a puppet.

Not sure which (if any) of them will team up. At minimum, whenever one plan comes to fruition there's a good chance one of the others will take the opportunity to act on their plan.
>>
>>51173011
Take firebolt for example. It only says

>You hurl a mote of fire at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target.

So reading this they don't need a point or target they can see.

Fireball is much the same:
>A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you CHOOSE within range

In saying that you are right, many spells do specify a target you can see such as chain lightning, disintergrate, and frostbite.
>>
>If a devil were to stop being lawful evil, they would no longer be a devil

so what happens in your setting? Do they just poof out of existence? Do they become a mortal race closest resembling their original form? or do they just stay the same appearance wise?
>>
>>51173191
They become an outsider of the type they shifted alignment to. For example, if the devil suddenly became lawful good, he would become an angel.
>>
>>51172918
Many important spells do actually require sight of a target. Counterspell for example, or power word: kill, or hold person, or polymorph.
The few spells that don't mostly aren't directly targeting spells.

Of course, the enemy can still target you with attacks just fine, at disadvantage.
>>
File: Archangel Diablo.jpg (545KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Archangel Diablo.jpg
545KB, 1920x1080px
>>51173191
This happens.
>>
>>51173187
Whilst thats true, they do need to make ranged spell attacks which will have disadvantage to hit. Or in the case of something like Fireball if they can't see the point then I'd either say they can't choose it OR grant advantage on the targets Dex save.
>>
>>51173191
Rather than what other anon said it might work somewhere inbetween.

An angel becomes a fallen angel over time.

A devil becomes more human over time rather than monstrous.
>>
I wish there were good races that gave int other than human
>>
>>51173226
so does the spiny devil turn into a cherubim, or does it just become an angelic looking spiny devil?
>>
>>51173290
>gnomes
>not good
>high elf
>not good
>half-elf
>not good
Though fuck elves.
And even some of the not-good races could be done as good.
>>
>>51173191
I took it to mean that devils ARE lawful evil
It is intrinsic to their being.
>>
I'm new to d&d and I've been playing the party's only cleric (level 4 right now, almost level 5, life domain). I've been pretty much always been saving two-thirds to three-fourths of my spell slots for healing during combat, but maybe I shouldn't be doing that? Should I be using more attack spells or buffs?
>>
>>51173367
you force a circlet of chaotic neutral onto their head.

what happens? If you destroy something that is intrinsic to their being, then is it the same as destroying the being itself?
>>
>>51173396
> Healing during combat
Don't fall for the meme. What you should be casting is bless/spirit guardians and spiritual weapon.

By the way, am I the only one annoyed at how samey cleric spells sound? Spiritual weapon. Spirit guardians. Guardian of faith.
>>
>>51173421
another option, it has no effect.
>>
>>51173466
how about a Wish spell then?
>>
>>51173525
roll for it, on success it becomes a different being

it automatically fails, you take the consequences
>>
>can only have one buff spell at a time in 5e
wtf i hate dnd now
>>
>>51173572
or get your party wizard to apply another buff
>>
>>51173572
Are you kidding me, it's one of the best things about 5e. No more god spellcasters flying invisible far above the battlefields, turning people to stone and locking them up in forcecages.
>>
>>51173606
Reminder to ignore angry casterbabbies at all times
>>
>>51173426
Oh, really? Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm used to how clerics tend to be heal slaves/walking potions in video games. There are only two other people in the party and I've usually just been hiding in the back casting sacred flame cantrips for attacks and heals when necessary. Next session I'll try out bless/spirit guardians/spiritual weapon though.
>>
>>51173720
You use healing AFTER combat, not during it. I especially recomend Prayer of Healing for that purpose. If you absolutely must heal DURING combat, you usually should use Word of Healing on an emergency heal. It's ranged and done as a bonus action - perfect for saving dying people.
>>
>>51173853
Thanks anon, that sounds good. Should I be saving spell slots for that purpose or no?
>>
When standing inside the effects of the spell fog cloud, how far can you see before you're considered blinded? Adjacent squares, just your own?
>>
>>51173925
It is heavily obscured so you are functionally blinded, period.
>>
>>51173902
Can't say that, I was never good at judging how many spell slots I should be using and how many saving. I guess you should have one emergency spell slot for a healing word.

I also remind you that you have Channel Divinity that heals really, really well, which means less spellslots you need to waste on healing spells. It recovers after a short rest too!
>>
>>51173396
If your DM is running by the standard 'an ally is conscious if you heal them for one point of health' rule then the only time you should heal in combat is to get somebody conscious again, or if you can't really attack.

You can use prayer of healing after combat.

>>51173572
There's plenty of other buffs. Also, it helps limit caster superiority somewhat, and the fact you can interrupt spells by breaking their concentration is great.
>>
Looking for some feedback from folks here. Currently have two ideas in mind to run for my group for our first session this weekend:

> Option 1
PCs are chilling in town when the royal family show up for political touring of the countryside. That night events transpire where the royal family is killed, town goes on lockdown to track down the assassins. PCs can help with the tracking or figure out a way to leave the lockdown to GTFO and go elsewhere, because the nylon is probably about to enter a war of succession and that sounds terrible to be involved in. If PCs want to go to the party where the royal family is at, they can attempt to save some/all of them.

> Option 2

PCs are part of a research team looking into why a particular section of land near an old wizard's tower is acting all weird (wild magic effects, anti-magic zones, etc.), find an ongoing experiment being run by a warforged servant of the missing wizard to test a new form of magical corruption on the land, only the testing has spread out from its confined spaces in the tower to the surrounding countryside, and fears of it spreading to all corners of the continent.
>>
>>51173946
Cool, thanks

Is the spell useful in combat, despite how it affects everyone, not just enemies? Or is it better used outside of combat, or potentially a good way to enter/escape combat?
>>
>>51174015
Former sounds more fun.
>>
>>51174015
Option 1 is cool
>>
>>51173971
>>51173972
Got it, thanks anons! That helps a lot.
>>
How do you pronounce Artificer?

I've pinned down Artifice as
Art-if-iss but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Side note, I still fucking hate you FLGS employee that insisted Tiefling is "Tie-fling"
>>
>>51174079
Art-teh-fy-sir
>>
>>51174079
Art-if-iss-ear is how I've done it
The word sounds fancy when I think of it.
>>
>>51174079
Tart-if-spicer

I don't know pronunciation notation, but each of those words rhymes with the same syllables in artificer.
>>
File: 772.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
772.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
Been playing as a Ranger, but aside from my actions being like
Arrow a guy, Heal someone, i'm finding it a bit less useful in both combat and non-combat situations (Skills wise i'm also not as useful)
Any tips for what I should be doing in terms of usefulness to the party?
I could just be retarded, and rolls have a bit to play with it, but a low charisma in what's so far been quite a talky campaign has left me with little to do.
Advice?
>>
This technically works, right?

>Cleric with War Caster
>Ally leaves line of engagement
>Cure Wounds of Opportunity
>>
Stat me
>>
>>51174214

Pretty clearly a Purple Dragon Knight who thought he was a Paladin of the Crown
>>
>>51174214
Low Charisma.
High Str (Cleaved a dude's shoulder)
Low wisdom (was duped by God-shit)
Mid-tier Int (Good tactician)
High Con (Can take a beating)
Mid-tier Agi (he's a soldier so I guess so)
>>
>>51174260
>Low Charisma.

Someone didn't read the books...
>>
>>51174180
Only if they're hostile.
>>
>>51174259

more like Devotion, but yeah
>>
>>51174329

What if the Cleric was a giant dick to them all the time

>(while secretly knowing he had to be so he could better keep them alive..)
>>
Thinking about going a crossbow battlemaster

Am I correct in thinking that the extra hand crossbow attack (granted from Crossbow Expert) actually makes it superior to a heavy crossbow up until extra attack (3) at which point they are practically equal?

>my (admittedly dodgy) math.
Assuming say dex 4 at this stage.

2d6+8 = L: 10 H: 20 Av: 15
1d10+4 = L: 5 H: 14 Av: 9.5

moves onto extra attack (1) and Dex +5

3d6+15 = L: 18 H: 33 Av: 25.5
2d10+10 = L:12 H: 30 Av: 21

extra attack (2)

4d6+20 = L: 24 H: 44 Av: 34
3d10+15 = L:18 H: 45 Av: 31

extra attack (3)

5d6+25 = L: 30 H: 55 Av: 42
4d10+20 = L: 24 H: 60 Av: 42

I haven't taken into account critical hits because I lack the ability to figure out the difference between increased likelihood and the bonus damage from larger die.
>>
>>51174260
>good tactician
Actually, best battlefield tactician at the time of the series. He would have won the war of five kings if Tywin had arrived as little as an hour later
>low wis
Melisandre has real power. Her prophecies also always come true, she's just not reliable at interpreting them.
>>51174214
Str 15
We never actually see him perform intense martial feats, but he does wear plate armour.
Dex 8
He's got an iron rod up his butt.
Con 12
No mention of him ever being ill.
Int 16
Excellent commander/general, and he understands politics.
Wis 14
He commands in the field, but doesn't actually take part in the fighting. This lets him command better.
Cha 10
He's too lawful to do politics properly, has a sour look, and is generally unpleasant to be around. He does however crack jokes from time to time, and when men become loyal to him, they become loyal (Davos).
>>
File: Melisandre.jpg (133KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Melisandre.jpg
133KB, 500x500px
>>51174214
Paladin of the Crown, lawful neutral. Charisma 20.
>>
>>51174299
He still never really managed to "win", anyone on his side, Davos did a lot of it.
I read them though
>>
>>51174358
Technically, the allies would have to show signs that they might potentially attack. Something like that. It should be possible somehow.

But, even if it is allowed, it's hardly that powerful. Kinda nice, sure, but it's requiring a feat and healing somebody who isn't downed doesn't seem like the best use of resources, but if it costs only a reaction and anyone can walk by you any time to get it.. It's probably useful.

I don't see why a Cleric that can cast spells as reatcions to people moving close to them couldn't use that ability to heal, though.
>>
File: 489_large.jpg (112KB, 592x900px) Image search: [Google]
489_large.jpg
112KB, 592x900px
How would one go about playing a Atypical Champion fighter? Every time I feel like rolling one, I end up sticking with Battlemaster instead. Is there something I'm just not seeing in Champion or is it really that underwhelming?
>>
>>51174172
Whats your campaign like and what stats are you working with?
>>
>>51174427
He won Davos to his side. His knights follow him all the way up to the Wall! He inspires people, he's just too stiff to abandon some principles to get more. He could have thrown in with Robb, he'd probably tolerate being a vassal if the subject had been broached. Alas, Catlyn never bothered to ask him, she just went to pretty boy Renly.
>>
>>51174452
You don't, they're boring as fuck.
>>
>>51174452
They're not bad, they're just boring. They're made for people who don't particularily like complex characters or thinking too much in general.
>>
>>51174485
The issue with Charisma for him is that he follows everything strictly to code and letter. Hell even killing Renly was, technically "at sun-up" or however he mentions it.
The Wall thing was, again, his luck in finding
A: His people who will follow him to the end of the earth, and thats mostly cause of their feverish belief in Melisandre.
You could argue she gives him a bonus to Cha cause she's on his side but idk.
>>
>>51174456
+1 to everything but Charisma,
+3 Agi (We were doing Pathfinder and ported the character a bit.)
Using a longbow and hit level three, so i'm assuming I should move into Hunter rather than BM? (Doesn't seem worth it to jump over to using a beast when Sharpshooter is letting me 1-hit some people)
Campaign at the moment has jumped from town to town, but we've ended up thrown into a dungeon for, well, being cunts. So pretty urban based so far.
A lot of humanoid enemies, not a lot of mysticism, mostly human politics and intrigue so far.
>>
What are some good legendary actions for a Paladin of Vengeance boss fight?
What about minions?
>>
>>51174540
Did you miss the part about Queen's Men and King's Men? There's a roughly 50-50 split between men who follow Stannis, and men who follow Stannis because of Melisandre. Her religion plays a big part, but Stannis has loyal men. He just takes a very stiffly lawful stance. You can be charismatic and still too stiff and stubborn to want to treat with traitors to win a war.
>>
>>51174601
Fair point.
>>
Working on a campaign, need a name for demons/devils/humans that have been mutated into a new race.
Was going with daegor initially but I just pulled that from nowhere and it doesn't really have a precedent.
>>
>>51174733
I always see a lot of "something-Born/Borne" cause it implies they've come FROM something as a mutation/progression.
It's a bit "muh dragon age" though.
>>
>>51174733
Badongs
>>
>>51174733
Tieflings
>>
>>51174452
They're great for multiclassing.

Half-orc champion3/barbarian for funtimes.
Honestly, it's still a bit boring as most of what you do would be simply just trying to roll high numbers.

You could also use it for a fighter5/rogue multiclass.
>>
>>51174733
>>51174751
Never mind, more of a world building general question.
>>51174767
Might be a class of them, I get the reference but it's still alright.
>>51174769
Nah, it's different.
>>
>>51174427

Charisma isn't just persuasiveness. Charisma is also sheer passion, intensity and fervor, it's intimidation and shit, and the guy had that coming out of his ass
>>
>>51174804
True, true.
>>
I've always wanted to play as a halfling assassin with another halfling bard, and use our disguise to do the little rascals, stand on each others shoulders and pretend to be a full-sized human trick.
>>
>>51174439

I find it useful for being in the frontlines in a 4 people party with only one fighter.
>>
>>51174648

not him, but it's not just a *fair* point, it's basically Paladinism 101
>>
>>51174856
More that for me I always viewed charisma more in the light of persuasiveness.
I'm a bit new though so.
>>
>>51174829

Something about the idea of the fighter being able to "Tag" a partner into battle, or High Five their wounds away after taking an epic beating for the team, that just rubs me the right way
>>
>>51174917

makes sense, lots of people make that leap too, and it gets really annoying to play when a DM forgets that and is just playing everyone for giggling bar wench with the twisty curls at the Tiefling Warlock of C'Thulu, but you really do have a lot more options in 5e than at first sight.
>>
>NEW PLAYERS
>------
>When a new player joins the group, allow the new
>player to create a character of a level equal to the
>lowest-level member of the party. The only exception
>to this guideline is when the new player is completely
>unfamiliar with the D&D game. In that case, have that
>player start with a 1st-level character. If the rest of the
>party is significantly higher in level, consider taking a
>short break from the campaign and having everyone
>play a 1st-level character for a few sessions while the
>new player learns the ropes.

Does this seem a bit silly to anyone else? "Okay, this is Bob, who is new to the game. Bob, make a level 1 character while the rest of the party finish their battle against the dragon and earn level 18."
>>
>>51175035
Ugh, don't get me started.
>tiefling warlock
>player starts flirting in character
>point out that she's actually kind of ugly, being basically a human twisted with devil corruption, and clearly not interested besides.
>"okay ill drop it"
>hit town
>book a room in an inn
>seven npcs hit on my warlock
>"dude, her cha is 20, of course she gets a lot of attention"
>>
>>51175104
Didn't you know? Charisma means boob size in female characters. Female sorcerers, paladins, bards and warlocks cast with their boobs.
>>
>>51175104
>arcane focus (tit)
>>
>>51175049
People that put exp penalties on rerolled characters or new players are retarded, that's some old ed mentality.
>>
File: 1351719069326.png (5KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
1351719069326.png
5KB, 299x276px
>>51175137
>Charisma means boob size in female characters. Female sorcerers, paladins, bards and warlocks cast with their boobs.
sounds good to me
>>
>>51175210
>>51175137
DM here, I'd allow female bards to flash their tits to give inspiration dice.
>>
>>51175049
>If the rest of the party is significantly higher in level, consider taking a short break from the campaign

Are you daft? You would never have a level 1 and level 18s fighting together.
>>
>>51175049
>If the rest of the
>party is significantly higher in level, consider taking a
>short break from the campaign and having everyone
>play a 1st-level character for a few sessions while the
>new player learns the ropes.

Anon...
>>
>>51175241
one of my female players who plays a girl hired a mercenary and gives him blowjobs at a lowered cost

sounds fair to me
>>
>>51175201
I like there to be a level penalty but only for a few levels.
Like, say party is level 10 but someone died and they roll a new character.

That new character will come in at level 6 (we'll say). Now, every time the players level up as a group (we use milestone), the new character gains two levels until they're equal with the party.
>>
>>51174829
Sounds like it'd be better off if the fighter used ranged weapons and you kept back.
>>
>>51175201
Yeah. I would start new or rerolled characters off at the same level as the lowest existing character in the party, but that's just to avoid them having to catch up too badly, and to make suicide a less appealing notion to the guy with the lowest leveled character.

Though so far the biggest gap my group has had was two levels, and that's because I reward xp for good roleplay. One guy was being quiet for like four sessions and fell behind, and he was already a bit behind from missing out on an ogre dungeon. Told him what was up over Skype since he seemed a bit upset about it, he moped a bit about how he felt the quest they were on wasn't interesting to him. Next session he came back with a happier attitude and I threw some puzzles at them since that's what he wanted, and he caught up pretty quickly.
>>51175241
I'd only let this happen if it's an attractive female player and she does it at the table too.
So basically it'll never happen.
>>
File: 1341365095085.gif (2MB, 330x186px) Image search: [Google]
1341365095085.gif
2MB, 330x186px
>>51175049
>>51175201
>>51175284

what the hell is wrong with you guys? if someone dies just have them make a new character at the same level
>>
>>51164369
How do I make an iaido Samurai?
>>
>>51175361
samurai themed fighter with 20 dex, take the alert feat
>>
>>51175340
If someone die, just cast revivify or gentle repose then revivify. No penalty at all.
>>
>>51175201
Had one GM where, when you died, your new character was two levels behind.
Level six. I died.
Level four, everyone else level 7. I died.
Level two, everyone else level 7. I tell him this is bullshit. I die in my very first battle despite being cautious.
We swapped GMs two sessions after that. He's a decent player, but fuck if he isn't a grognard.
>>
>>51175383
>20 dex
You mean a sword-and-board, kensei multiclass, barbarian multiclass or ranged fighter?
>>
>>51175435
just a fighter that's flavored as a samurai, 20 dex to get a higher initiative
>>
File: hokuto.jpg (107KB, 650x462px) Image search: [Google]
hokuto.jpg
107KB, 650x462px
I'm new to D&D and I know jack shit about magic items.
My group is starting at level 3 and my DM is allowing us an uncommon magic item. I'm an Open Hand Monk. What do I pick?
>>
>>51175383
>>51175447

What about getting into a Rogue level or two, to use Sneak Attack as the Draw Slash?
>>
How many of each die do you need to comfortably play this game? I'm under the impression there can be some rather ridiculous rolls required, like 20d6 or something.
>>
>alright, let's start working on the plot for this game
>proceed to work out a cosmology for the setting after scratching out a general plot starter
Does this happen to anyone else?
>>
>>51175423
What kind of a person would do that unless they're aiming for a roguelike campaign with second chances where a TPK happens when all of the players degenerate to level 0?

>>51175447
There's no good taking all of that stuff if you don't take advantage on the dexterity. You'd have to take a level of barbarian in order to get unarmoured defence to make it worthwhile, so that you get higher AC from dexterity and constitution.
>>
>>51175462
sounds good
>>
>>51175448
If you want something very good but not very fun, Cloak of Protection. +1 AC and saves is very good. That includes death saves, by the way.
Otherwise, just pick something that seems interesting to you. 5e classes aren't nearly as dependent on magical items as in previous editions. You'll want a magical weapon eventually, for those enemies immune to non-magical damage, but at level 3 those don't really happen. If I were you I'd grab a Cloak of Protection, and chat a bit with your fellow players about what they picked and why to get a feel for it. Reading through the DMG list of items is a good idea too, maybe something will strike your fancy.
>>
>>51175448
magic jar of mayo.
>>
>>51175464
I'd say at least each weapon damage die roll, doubled.

>4d6
>2d12
>2d10
>2d8
>2d6
>2d4
Also, 2d20.

If you want to improve from there, get a total of 8d6, 8d8 and 8d10, and get 3d20 for stuff like lucky.
>>
>>51175473
just wear leather armor
>>
>>51175423
It really should've been 2 levels behind the party, not your dead character.
>>
>>51175473
I expect that's what his DM did back when he started playing in AD&D. He was always reminiscing about how great AD&D and 3.5 was. "Roll 3d6 in order" kind of guy, you know?
>>51175529
Yeah, that wouldn't have been as terrible. My death at level four was basically me being reckless, if I'd been more careful I'd have easily survived a few battles and caught up to the others.
>>
>>51175448
>>51175508
As said. Monks are squishy and often put themselves in danger, the extra protection goes a long way.

Boots of flying give great utility and survivability by way of getting out of combat range after punching. But I hate the fuck out of them. I hate the fuck out of a lot of DMG magical items, though.
>>
>>51175574
You can do those things well in 5e, and I still support rolling in order over regular rolling for stats for 5e, but there are some things that are just stupid.

It doesn't help that level 4 is a lot weaker than level 5.
>>
>>51175514
Don't do this.

Alchemist Jug is infinite money printing machine.
and I love it
>>
The other day, someone said Clerics are not priests, they are crusaders, and that people don't get that.

It got me thinking, my thought of a crusader, probably cause I played WoW, is associated with Paladins, and I don't really know, in respect of story, what the difference between a Cleric and a Paladin.

I assume I have misconceptions with alot of classes in this regard.

Can anyone explain each class with regards to roleplaying in 1 sentence?
>>
>>51175321

fighter is a charger and only tank. Then we got a bard and some sort of gunslinger.

Figure I'd take the Arcana Cleric, for Stronghold building utility, magic shit (glyphs, Nystul, Teleportation Circles, and DM is letting me unlock spells as I go rather than t L17) , sharing the healing burden with the bard because the she wants t play it, she wants to be the 5th man in a quartet, and less than terrible frontlining, thanks to Potent Spellcasting and that Booming Blade cleric cantrip
>>
has anyone come up with homebrew specialist choices for the new artificer?
>>
>>51175340
So that there's reason not to die. It's already incredibly easy to not die in this edition.
>>
>>51175574
The weak getting weaker while the strong getting stronger isn't a fun design. Only autism retard like it. That's why blue shell exist in Mario Kart.
>>
>>51175682
dude, losing a character already sucks. whatever motivation that character had, whatever goal and development the player had for that character is now gone

there's no need to be ULTRA HARDCORE DND about it, just roll up a new character at the same level and carry on with the story
>>
>>51175660
Sounds like a bit of a 'We neex an X and an X in our party' case.

I just think people undervalue a no-melee party. No frontline is better than a half-assed frontline. But, I suppose if it's a tanky fighter aiming for AC and maybe with a bit of sentinel then it's fine.

What does 'unlocking spells are you go' mean? A wizard's spellbook?
>>
>>51175516
I say a few more, namely, the d10s, d8s, d6s, and d4s I'd say you need 4 of each. But 2d12, 2d20 is good.
But I'm also the DM.
>>
>>51175657
>Can anyone explain each class with regards to roleplaying in 1 sentence?

A cleric casts spells because the gods have "awakened his mind" to power.

A paladin is like a demigod, whom when chips get down, he goes down on one knee and goes like "Zeus, give me strength!" and whoop it goes

They are intimately related, but a Cleric discovers the world through his empowerment, so that understands how to make that view flourish, while the Paladin carves the world into its vision, because it is righteous.
>>
>>51175770
Maybe 4d12 or 6d6 if you planned to go with half-orc barbarian shenanigans, I guess.

Otherwise, the only time you'll need more is for spells (So actually maybe 3d6 and 3d8 minimum) and then you can roll more of them in the off chance one of those crits or is upcast. You'll see weapons critting more often.

For maximum comfort you probably want more but usually you don't need that many.
>>
>>51175798
there's too many charisma based characters in 5e

i like your description of wisdom and feel the sorcerer should follow that guideline
>>
>>51175745

Arcana Cleric gets a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level Wizard domain spell at level 17

The DM has allowed me to instead go the Bard route, where I unlock them at 11,13,15 and 17 instead, because it makes terrible sense to wait until a level we are likely to never, ever reach, to gain mere mid-game benefits

>(won't just *give* it to me, there's gonna be a quest for it)
>>
>>51175798
See, i did not know that. My understanding was

>Cleric gets divine power from a God due to worship

>Paladin gets divine power form a God due to being virtuous

I thought the Cleric is rewarded for their worship where as the Paladin is chosen by a god regardless of worship.
>>
>>51175839
Paladin don't even worship god in 5e.
>>
>>51175833

Fun Fact: Warlocks were meant to be Intelligence spellcasters for 5e, and you can tell that by how everything in their description screams INT, but they changed it down to CHA on account of playtesting
>>
>>51175742
Well, that's like, your opinion man.
But it's also what everyone agreed to.

And if you'd like to know, there's also a sort of agreement that if you really like your character, there are ways to bring them back almost always.

There are right ways and wrong ways to go about this. The absolute wrong way is to impose exp or char level penalties and no one at the table likes the idea.

Also, to further defend this way of doing things. My players really like it because they enjoy the feeling of leveling up, even if it's at an increased rate. They eventually are back at party level again, and they got their abilities incrementally.

I actually messed up my example earlier though. It should be 2 levels below party level, not 4. So you'll be back up to speed in 3 level ups, as you gain 6 levels in the time it took the party to grab 3.

Once again though, if it's not right for your group, don't do it. It'd be retarded to do something everyone hates.
>>
I want to change Ape to CR2, how do I do this? CR2 says 82-100 HP but that seems crazy strong?
>>
Is the 1.3 the Bloodhunter the final version.

The link I found leads to mercers twitter which claims its the last, but I remember seeing a 1.7 floating around.

If 1.7 is the more balanced version - does anybody have it?
>>
>>51175839
>Paladin gets divine power form a God due to being virtuous

I meant from a God. I think the error was obvious, but the sentence structure still works and i had to correct myself.

>>51175863
Yea, which is why I said "regardless of worship" cause, i am sure a Paladin could worship a god, but that has nothing to do with their power.
>>
>>51175657
The Paladin strives through willpower, high morale and unfaltering belief in what they've sworn. They don't need a god's strength, but rather something more akin to the strength lying within all creatures and that will to continue on for what they and their companions believe is right. Non-oath paladins are a bit different but roughly similar somehow I guess. A Paladin could call on a god, though, even if that's not mechanically represented.

The Cleric channels the power of gods, housing a part of it in themself. Their view beyond the normal world gives them insight into divinity. Beyond that, they might even use the power of the heavens itself rather than a god's specifically, Usually, clerics are a way a god keeps contact with the world.
>>
>>51175838
Oh, well, that's fair enough. It's not like they're teaching you wish at level 13.

>>51175892
What, you want roboapes?
>>
>>51175839

Clerics are not Priests, though that is a rather common vocation for it, all things considered (theology is rather easy, when you have a phone line to divine intervention)

The same route, Paladins are not forcefully religious, though it is common (Devotion Paladins are probably an exception)
Ancient Paladins are like, Druid Palas, while Crown Paladins are like, Zeitgeist Paladins, like Captain America, who gets his powers from FREEDOM JUSTICE AND THE SECOND AMENDMENT, and would probably fall and loose all their powers if Russia sometime invaded and defeated Washington like in that movie with Charlie Sheen
>>
>>51175873
I fucking knew it. Damn it wizards of the coast.
There's way to much CHA domination and it only serves to further pigeon hole them as the "dip 2" class.

Still, the biggest problem with warlock is eldritch blast. That shit needs to go and there needs to be a suitable replacement that encourages more varied play and and fix so that bladelock would be the "damage dealing" archetype of warlock.
>>
What would be a good symbol for a God whose domain is Death Sacrifice and Selflessness?
Note that this god is not evil.
>>
>>51175892
Strange, most beasts are like 50ish at the most for CR 2 (and of the large size).

>>51175928
>not wanting roboapes
>not playing an alchemist named J.D. with his roboape Turk
>>
>>51175943
not only do those two not go together but how is this god not evil?
>>
>>51175928

No, but choosing between Simulacrum and something absurdly fun like Mordekeinen's Magnificent Mansion is bloody murder
>>
File: IMG_0296.jpg (32KB, 256x387px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0296.jpg
32KB, 256x387px
Tfw most of the games at game store are adventurers league and can't create an artificer.
>>
>>51175873
What was the playtest input that made them do that? I can't see anything wrong with having Int-based warlocks... Is it just the fact that a wizard could dip two levels of warlock for full spell progression as well as Eldritch Blast?
>>
>>51175975
>Death, Sacrifice, and Selflessness
>how is this not evil?

You realize this could easily describe the Christian Jesus?
I think you misinterpreted what he meant by sacrifice. Think altruism.
>>
>>51175942
I think if Way of the Four Elements Monk was better, and Monk in general relied more on Wisdom than Dex, it wouldnt feel so bad

Cleric - Sorcerer : Full Caster 1
Druid - Bard : Full Caster 2
Ranger - Paladin : Half Caster
Monk - Warlock : Special weird mechanic focused (Ki Points/Pact Magic)
>>
>>51175943

You mean Martyrdom?
>>
>>51175975
Death is necessary
Sacrifice as in self sacrifice or sacrificing something for the greater good
Selflessness speaks for itself
>>
>>51176006
without commas i read it as death sacrifice (one thing) and therefore saw the other as selfishness
>>
>>51175942
>

Eldritch Blast is the only thing keeping the warlock dropping from mediocre to unsalvageable
>>
>>51175939
But Clerics are forcefully religious, right? I was a little confused by "The same route, Paladins are not forcefully religious" made it seem the comment was inclusive to Clerics and Paladins.
>>
File: Untitled.png (173KB, 675x557px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
173KB, 675x557px
>>51175928
>>51175964
Yeah, thats exactly why, I was going to actually just use polar bears stats but I actually wanted to refluff the rock throw attack to a mounted handcrossbow. These stats seem way too high for CR2? It even says the average of defensive/offensive
>>
>>51176004

can't rightly say actually. I just remember having one of the developers say it on some Q&A
>>
>>51176027
Yes and no. They can be mutually exclusive.
>>
File: 1459982804074.png (82KB, 220x281px) Image search: [Google]
1459982804074.png
82KB, 220x281px
Is there a good lore-friendly way to dip/multiclass into warlock, considering they have to form a pact with a patron deity at level 1? Is there a way to justify offering your immortal soul for a minor spellcasting benefit?

Asking seriously, since I feel like I misunderstood the description in the PHB.
>>
>>51176087
you cant go to hell if you dont die, and you wont die if you're powerful enough
>>
>>51176047

Yes, but its complicated. For example, My Arcana Cleric is a runaway from the Amber Temple, in Curse of Stradh.

He has no idea who his god is. It's a god of Secrets, and so his identity was pretty hush hush.
It works pretty fine, and trying to find to find out the answer to that particular secret is a decent enough plot hook thus far
>>
>>51175964
>>51175892
Because most beast has more than +3 to their attack
>>
>>51176037
Fair enough. You're right, the dude should have put commas.

Death Sacrifice does sound evil. But then again, altruism can be a good kind of death sacrifice, like I said.

To answer anon's question about the symbol.
How about a cross?
No, but seriously. Need more details about the god in question.

Going on just those three things, what about an empty bowl?
It's empty because you gave away what you had in an act of selflessness, and sacrifice, to someone who needed it more. Fuck man, I dunno. I'm just spitballing.
>>
>>51164369
Which is better, variant human or human 'classic'?
>>
Could my bard use magic mouth to record music?
I want to sell mixtapes
>>
I've only played 4e and recently got a hold of 5e PHB, anyone running a campaign for noobs?
>>
>>51175943
>>51176137
or something reminiscent of a Gravekeeper. Death was listed first so I'm focused on that.
>>
>>51176135
But he worships this god? Or does the god just grant him powers because the god likes him? or does the god give him power because he acts in the name of the god?

I always thought a Paladin's powers came from a god due to having the ability to Channel Divinity.
>>
>>51176046
No, it's what ruins the experience of the class.
You are literally a laser turret.

Sure, if you took away that ability and left it as is, then yes, it would fucking suck. But the idea is to give you better options.
How about some cantrips for warlock tailored to each type of patron? And give them a relevant invocation you can take for it that would provide a combat utility beyond "pew pew" lasers.

They just need to do something.
>>
>>51176137
Ok so my idea for this god is that he took on the burden of giving mortals a finite life span and escorting them to the afterlife because it needed to be done. He doesn't want to but it must be done.
>>
>>51176136
Its more the HP side that confuses me, though average damage assumes you always hit correct?
>>
>>51176167
I got it!
A candle. Or a torch?

They both eventually die out (death), they provide you with light (possibly warmth) at their own expense (literally), and they are literally tools used by others (completely selfless).
>>
>>51176059
Let's look at Polar Bear.
42 HP is CR 1/4. AC 12 is within CR 1/4 range (no change here).

It's damage per round is 21. But attack bonus is +7 so that's CR 4 offensive.

The average of that end up being CR 2.
>>
Any good website that you can custom your spell cards AND is possible to download the image to print? I found one but is possible to download only he CSV file.
>>
>>51176185
He carries a dimly lit candle. >>51176230
Boom.
You're fucking welcome.

I might actually use this. Got a name?
>>
>>51176087
Great old one pact can be the result of study or having weird dreams
>>
>>51176230
Yeah. I was thinking of a lantern myself. Any one of those light-giving things should work.
>>
>>51176230
>>51176241
>>51176247
I like it. Well done anon.
>>
>>51176247
The reason I like candle or torch better is because they eventually burn away. You can relight a lantern (although you need to refill it).
>>
>>51176137
Really though, christianity would have the domains Vengeance, Sacrifice and Law, and be LN. There's a bit too much smiting and rape of innocents in the old testament to consider it a wholly Good religion. The God in the old testament doesn't even claim to be good, when asked he just says "I am that which I am".
>>
>>51176236
If i leave the apes damage as is: 2d6 + 6 = 12 average, with +5 to hit. the damage is CR 1, the to hit is CR 4 i believe, so thats 2.5 is that 2 or 3? Sorry, i'm very new to CR calculations.
>>
>>51176287
Fair enough, that's why I said Jesus specifically, because he championed those things and is also quite representative of literal sacrifice.
It was just for a real world example for a kind of deity that could be considered good and possibly represent those domains.

It's not really the intention of having a debate about the matter though. Dude just misread anyway.
>>
>>51176287
Christianity is more than just the Old Testament. Also:
>Rape
>Ever being condoned
>>
>>51176237
Anyone?
>>
we need new thread
>>
>>51176309
>>
>>51176161
There is literally no reason to take +1 to all stats if variant human is available.
>>
>>51176169

>But he worships this god?

Nope. Not intentionally at least.

>Or does the god just grant him powers because the god likes him?

Not that he knows it

>or does the god give him power because he acts in the name of the god?

That would be a neat trick, what with him not knowing the God's name.

CoS doesn't give details about this god other than "a god of secrets", and that "wizards dedicated the temple to him/her in hopes of keeping the temple a secret"

So everything else is just a plot hook for the DM to seek his teeth into

>I always thought a Paladin's powers came from a god due to having the ability to Channel Divinity.

It's a bit of just a name. Like "Gold Piece", not being an actual piece of gold.. Or in this case, not being necessarily a god to have divinity.
>>
>resting in an inn
>goblins sneak in through the window, steal my spellbook, and leave
I get it DM, you want us to hunt them down to get to the next station on your railroad after we killed that hobgoblin without interrogating him, but still fuck you. Now I don't even get mage armour.
>>
>>51176087
>Is there a way to justify offering your immortal soul for a minor spellcasting benefit
You aren't offering your immortal soul. You make a deal with the Patron. The Patron isn't always evil, and the deal doesn't always involve your Soul.

The pact could literally be "Act in my name and I shall grant you power"
or "destroy my enemies and I shall grant you power"

I offered Warlock stuff to a player in my campaign, and basically all that was required was that the Patron was impressed by the player's actions and thought "i could use this capable individual as a pawn" and it offered the player power.
The Patron has plans of their own. You aren't in control when it comes to this whole pact thing. You don't ask to make a pact. The Patron offers you a pact, and you accept.

Additionally, i don't think any character thinks of it as a "minor spellcasting benefit"
Maybe as a player you plan on only taking 2 levels for Agonizing Blast. But your character doesn't think that way. Your character doesn't think in terms of levels, nor do they know what powers they are getting at future levels.
Not that I think it is wrong to plan your characters in such a way. If it is more fun for you that way, then by all means. But consider that your character has reasons, outside of your machinations for min-maxing, for doing these things.

>Why did your character only take 2 levels in warlock?
Because it was a power to great to handle, and the price seemed to steep. So after fullfilling his debt to [Patron] he washed his hands of it.

Heck you could even then have the DM have the Patron send other Warlocks and servants of this patron after your character.
>>
>>51175994
Simalcrum sounds like it's best for out of combat purposes unless your DM gave you fucktonnes of money.

If I were DMing a game with a simulacrum I'd at least make it so it shares a spell slot and resource pools with the copied person, and requires that person's reaction to use those resources.

But then I've never seen it in action.
>>
>>51176424
>Now I don't even get mage armour.
You still keep the spells you had prepared. You just can't change your selection.
>>
>>51176416
This says 2 though >>51176310
I think i'll just go with the generated one, thanks though. I'll definitely use that to save myself the headache next time, I'm not that smart.
>>
>>51176424
>not taking keen mind and having your spellbook memorized
>>
>>51176474
Turns out I don't know my own class.
>>
>>51176309
Every 2 point above the standard increase its CR by 1.

Start at 12 damage = CR1
+5 is 2 higher than +3 = +1 CR

So its offensive stat is on CR2 level.
>>
>>51176544
>>51176544
>>51176544
NEW THREAD
>>51176544
>>51176544
>>51176544
>>
>>51176547
Turns out I'm not surprised. This is why you're not the DM.
>>
>>51176433
That was a very thorough explanation, thanks. I didn't even consider the discrepancy between what I think of as "minor" in terms of power gain.

Also, having people sent after you for breaking the pact seems like a great idea.
>>
Actual new thread I guess

>>51176847
>>51176847
>>51176847

remember to respect OP's pronouns
>>
>>51174214
STR 16 wears plate, cleaves people
Dex 12 his fights do display some maneuverability
Con 14 to 10 depending on the leaching status.
Wis 10 arguably higher and lower. Imo, getting taken in by Melisandre was no sin, since she had a pretty accurate prophecy thing going on. But continuing to believe her after things started falling apart means he's just normal here.
Int 18 he is one of the best tacticians in the series.
Cha 16 and inspires undying loyalty. He was able to hold an army together and keep it functional in the middle of winter while everyone was starving. Yes, he doesn't get along with people, but once you agree to work with him, you're bonded for life.
>>
>>51167208
Are humans not the majority in your setting? They seem to fit in everywhere and have huge civilizations in most settings.
I understand players always wanting to stick out but I feel like after playing for a lot of years everyone is trying to outdo eachother in being an outsider
Thread posts: 465
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.