[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 391
Thread images: 43

File: 1334195964383.jpg (316KB, 2198x3170px) Image search: [Google]
1334195964383.jpg
316KB, 2198x3170px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread >>51150026
>>
>>51157716
>It's a caster that plays like a martial
So by that you mean that it's a caster that uses the "left mouse button" option most of the time? Because that's how martials mostly work, and that's how warlock works, I guess.
>>
>shield
>javelins
>shortsword
>chainmail
Wait a minute
Are paladins romaboos?
>>
Katana when?
>>
File: unnamed (1).png (153KB, 249x591px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).png
153KB, 249x591px
What's his class?
>>
>>51157735
No theme? Sad.

So, I thought having Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 / Diviner X with Lucky feat would be fun. What do you think of it?
>>
File: 5e 121712 next katana.png (3KB, 794x28px) Image search: [Google]
5e 121712 next katana.png
3KB, 794x28px
>>51157785
>>
Divination Wizard: Potent on Polymorph then cast sleep.

Should my DM be buttmad and accusing this tactic for being OP?
>>
File: 1476324535960 (1).jpg (6KB, 250x246px) Image search: [Google]
1476324535960 (1).jpg
6KB, 250x246px
Multi-class question

Playing a Mastermind Rogue right now. My character tends to do a lot of talking and reasoning, without expertise in CHA skills (he has expertise in DEX skills), level 3. We have an arcane archer and open fist monk in our party too. No healing, besides potions.

I was thinking about taking some levels of Bard now for the healing, utility, and expertise.

Should I stick straight Rogue or Multi-class into Bard?
>>
>>51150869
Also, rogues should not face this problem.

Rogues are less stat-reliant to get high AC, though they do get outdone by monks on AC later.
Rogues have uncanny dodge, which is, y''know, a thing.
Rogues also work well enough at range.
.. And they have cunning action or maybe swashbuckler abilities to run from melee combat easily.
Then, they have much more compatibility with a tough class like barbarian to dramatically increase their survivability, and they can even fuck around with stealth with stealth expertise and bonus action to hide in order to keep out of sight. With a slight multiclass, they can even wear shields, and with extra attack they can prone an enemy, attack them and then run without much fear of an attack of opportunity. Not that monks can't do that.

Seriously though, rogues should use ranged more often.

>>51157678
It's very, very hard to get a flat modifier to your save DC, but there are some effects like socerer's heightened spell that give a person disadvantage.
>>
>>51157794
No, unless he's a little buttbaby.
>>
>>51157801
You are a mastermind, have a cleric NPC accompany you and heal you.
>>
>>51157792
LET"S GO
>>
>>51157801
Go bard, why not?

Heck, even consider paladin if you don't like the bard flavor. You can be a born-again rogue.
>>
>>51157801
Valor bard isn't bad since it gives you extra attack.
Still, it'd probably work better if you were an AT or thief. A thief could use the 'healer' feat well.

Or you could ask your DM to run a different version of death saves that's a little more hardcore but doesn't promote heal spamming everybody up one HP each time they go down.
>>
>>51157827
But Alonne used an odachi.
>>
>>51157790
Thief Rogue
>>
>>51157791
Good themathically but no mechanic synergy. Going 2 Divination first will probably be more fun.
>>
>>51157863
shutthefuckupyoufuckingWEEB
>>
Is Swift Quiver worth it on valor bard?
>>
>>51157870
Excuse me, I do not understand the mechanic synergy problem:
I thought I could use wizard spell slots to cast sorcerer spells and provoke wild effects, and use the wild magic feature to even more fuck the dices.
>>
>>51157790
Monk.
>>
>>51157827
>>51157863
>>51157877
Alonne uses something that would be most accurately considered a Nagamaki.
>>
>>51157916
Yes, if you're an archer. You get it twice as early as a ranger, and that's supposed to be their thing.
>>
>>51157984
Nagamaki seems kinda short.
>>
>>51157920
Wizard and Sorcerer use the same spell slot in 5e dude. You dont get more spell slot for multiclassing. You get the same slot as Sorcerer 2 or Wizard 2.

And lucky doesn't work on wild magic surge (neither does portent).
>>
>>51157984
I just want Finesse weapon that is not a god damn pointy stick OK?
>>
File: u7eOpOe.jpg (545KB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
u7eOpOe.jpg
545KB, 1736x2456px
THOUGHTS???
>>
>>51157864
Wrong

>>51157935
This
>>
>>51158073
Your fist isn't a finesse weapon. Why should anything else be.
>>
>>51157997
Yeah but you're not gonna casting them a lot.
>>
Best feat for an open hand monk?
>>
>>51158076
>undead
>amphibious
Redundant.
>>
As a level 7 Arcane Trickster, I get four 1st level spells and two 2nd level spells. If I multiclass into a full caster, I add a third of my rogue levels rounded down to the full caster and look at the spell slot list on phb 165. However, seven rogue levels only gives me three 1st level spells on that list.

Surely this is some kind of error and it's supposed to be rounded up? As-is I'd lose spells per level by going into a half or third caster, and not gain any by going into a full caster.
>>
>>51150598
>With all this talk about guns, let's talk about the implications of DMG modern weapons.
>Let's say you start a modern game with exactly the base rules of 5e and with full access to modern firearms. What would the implications be on character creation?
>Would everyone go fighter to take advantage of multiple attacks? Does the shield spell become more necessary? In general, what sort of characters and parties should we expect?
>>
>>51158140
You have (7/3 rounded down) + 1 level in spellcasting, which gives you 4 1st level spells and 2 2nd level spells. That's the exact same as if you went into a level 8 Arcane trickster, except you know 7 spells and 6 cantrips instead of the 6 spells and 3 cantrips you'd have if you just went 8 Arcane trickster.

I don't see what's the issue.
>>
>>51158140
Nope.

I guess they were just scared of potentially 'broken' caster multiclasses, even though it only punishes half and third casters.

You essentially lose 2 rogue levels worth of spellcasing.

However, you can still prepare level 2 wizard spells, even though your AT class only gives you level 1 spells before other things.
>>
>>51158140
>1 full caster level
>1/3 of 7 rogue levels rounded down = 2
>Total Spellcaster level = 3
>4 lvl 1 spellslots, 2 lvl 2's
Your math is shit, son.
>>
If your alchemist was a gardener, what would be the ideal form of your mechanical servant?

I'm thinking either something with thumbs or something big enough that can fly and scout out rare plants/ingredients. Or bring them to you.
>>
Thanks to a kind anon's contribution, a bunch of Kobold Press' material has been added to the trove (Deep Magic 5-10 + Blood Vaults of Sister Alkava).
>>
>>51157813
i started BECAUSE my brother wanted to play, his last DM made the game unfun and flaked constantly and kept bringing in friends to play and them having them leave for him to play them and clutter the game.
so i went to do it but apparently his friends had moved on to other games and were mostly in it for my brother.
he really would like to play and id like to DM.
>>51157784
thank and there is a game shop around here, my brother got me dice from there to thank me, but looking it up it seems to be a mostly Magic place, they have meet ups and tourney almost constantly.
why you live anywhere near cape coral?
>>
>>51158088
>Using Logic
>>
>>51158076
Lolsorandom garbage.
>>
>>51157586
ill be honest, a lot of it is for me. my own entertainment and piece of mind.
i fully expect my players to not interact with a fraction of the lore and world, im struggling to think why this campaign should even leave the borders of the "main" European-esqe continent. but if they do its there, if they have questions i have answers. and if i do another campaign i have a whole world to work with.
>>
>>51158264
If I pick a giant octopus as my creature can it still only breathe underwater?

Surely a construct doesn't require food, air, or water.
>>
>>51158073
Get a whip.
>>51158262
I think you missed the point. A level 7 AT has four 1st level spells and two second level spells, per the spell slots per day list in the rogue. In the multiclassing one, he only gets three 1st level spells. The rogue (and fighter) list rounds to the nearest whole number, but the multiclassing one rounds down.
>>
So how does the new Artificer stack up against the other classes?
>>
>>51158140
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3743kl/multiclass_spellcaster_spell_slot_progression/
>>
>>51158388
It compares decently to a more magical rogue.
>>
>>51158388
It has good utility and buffing in the base class. Alchemist has decent-ish damage but unmatched AoE control. Gunsmith has good single-target and AoE damage.

It won't be breaking any damage records but isn't bad either. It's perfectly mid-tier, which is great to be at for a first version.
>>
>>51158388
Would be sub par but Servant really bumps it up to being pretty good.
>>
>>51158481
No, just third level, which means that taking a level of full caster counterintuitively gives you no more spells per day.
>>
>>51158388
1/3rd caster, d8 HD, Medium armor, damage is comparable to a rogue getting sneak attack consistently. Decent utility as well, getting 3 or 4 tool proficiencies + expertise, and general utility and healing magic, if not a terribly versatile spell list.

It's not bad. It's not amazing, but overall it's a nice addition to the class lineup. It's a well rounded class that doesn't overshadow anything.

>>51158481
You use your Rogue level divided by 3 and rounded down, plus your wizard level (7/3 round down = 2) + 1 = 3, not 4.
>>
>>51158514
lol, if you multi into a half caster you get less spells per day!
>>
>>51158373
It is not a mistake. It is intentional. You don't actually lost anything but you don't get more spell just by dabbling in Wizard. The rounding down is just getting rid of people trying to cheese a dip in multiclass to get access to higher slot.

On the other hand AT6/Wizard3 (spell casting 5) will have 3rd spell slot, while AT 9 still only have 2nd.
>>
>>51158580
You can never actually lose spell slots through multiclassing.

However, you can delay spell slot progression through multiclassing.

It's possible to have two classes which give you 2 levels of spellcasting each but only in total have 2 levels of spell casting after multiclassing.
>>
>>51158373
>In the multiclassing one, he only gets three 1st level spells.
Yes, because the table is only relevant if you're multiclassing with another casting class, which will always add at least one point (since you need to have 3 levels to get EK Fighter and 2 to get Ranger caster).

Once you combine with another casting class, you will never have fewer spell slots than if you went with a full arcane trickster.
>>
>>51158614
No, he's right. AT7 gets 4/2. AT7/Ranger1 gets 3/0.
>>
>>51158627
You round down. Ranger 1 actually does lose you one level of casting.
>>
>>51158639
No, ranger1 does not have the spellcasting feature.
>>
>>51158639
>>51158654
No, he doesn't, because Ranger doesn't have the spellcasting feature yet and doesn't count on the multiclass spell slot table. You would only have the Arcane Trickster slots until you at least got to Ranger 2, at which you would get 4/2 vs. AT8's 4/2.
>>
>>51158654
I don't lose levels of spellcasting when I multiclass fighter on the off-chance I spec to Eldritch Knight. You only multiclass casting with Ranger if you hit 2nd level, same as paladin.
>>
>>51158654
You only use the multiclass spell slot table when you've actually got the Spellcasting feature from multiple classes, and Ranger 1 doesn't have Spellcasting.
>>
>>51158590
>but you don't get more spell just by dabbling in Wizard
Why shouldn't I? Spells are pretty much what the wizard does, I'm spending a level on improving my magic.
>>
Mechanical Servant should really be moved into its own archetype, where they could afford to make it good.
>>
>>51158111
The bear is undead, the sharks are amphibious
>>
File: ss+(2017-01-11+at+11.23.52).jpg (63KB, 353x265px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-01-11+at+11.23.52).jpg
63KB, 353x265px
>>51158773
He's wrong, you do get all the wizard spells a wizard gets plus the spells an AT gets.
>>
>>51158057
Yes, I agree with you, but it seems to me that it does not change my idea:
As a sorc 1/ diviner 6, I can use a level 3 slot to cast either a sorc spell, either a wiz spell. So I have the abilities (and spells known) of a diviner plus the ability to generate wild surges and recover my ability to gain advantage on one roll.
I just have to choose useful, mid-game revelant spells as a sorc, for I will have a few.
Indeed, Lucky nor Portent do not work on wild surges: I see them as 3 separate ways for my characters to bend reality at my advantage.
>>
Mechanical servant is fine.

It's not like campaign go above level 10 anyway ;-;
>>
File: Jerry.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry.gif
3MB, 320x240px
Ran my first session as a DM Duo today. 2 DMs for 3 players.

Lemme tell you, it was fuggin amazing.

Especially since most of the session was improv, if one of us was struggling or stuck the other could just pick it up.

Combat was improved too, everything went so quickly and smoothly.

10/10 would recommend
>>
File: 1385780117975.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1385780117975.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>51158933
>2 DMs
>For 3 players

For what purpose?
>>
>>51158875
Wild Surge trigger is really depend on DM you dont trigger the surge dice roll after every cast. Some DM will forgot it exist unless you are being an interruptive faggot and constantly nag him while he is describing what happen.

And level 1 spell that is useful and relevant at level 7? That will be hard to find, especially since it's a direct competition with your Wizard spell, action economy wise.

And Divination Wizard don't actually change reality. They just have precognition dream, that why you have to use portent before your DM roll.
>>
>>51158773
Let's say you're a major league baseball player, and to work on your stamina, you start doing kiddie league soccer at your local elementary school. Do you think that your stamina is going to improve significantly beyond what it would normally just because you're playing with some elementary schoolers? You might have learned how to use your stamina differently in a different sport, but that's about it. If you want to improve your stamina you'd better at least be playing soccer as a semi-pro.

Same thing with taking a single level in wizard. Just because you took a few beginner apprentice mage classes doesn't double your magical ability. You might know a few new spells/ways to use your magical abilities, but you're not suddenly hot shit because you took a 101 course in wizardry. If you want to seriously improve your magic ability beyond standard arcane trickster progression you're going to need to go a few more levels.
>>
>>51158965
Some DM like world build but hate story telling and mechanic. They are usually turn into that DM with their own magical realm.
>>
>>51158875
Like I said, it's a good themathic character but pretty bad mechanic wise. Just like a bladelock. Still doesn't stop people from playing and having fun with it though. 5e isn't a dick measuring contest like 3.pf, so you should be fine.
>>
>>51158965
It was originally going to be two groups of 3 that would occasionally cross paths but 2 of my players flaked, so we are having the 4th join in next session.

But seriously, it is so much better than solo DMing. As of now I would still prefer it to 1 DM and 4 players
>>
>>51158264
Giant eagle.

It's also an areal mount and can drop bombs for you.
>spend slots on fireball potions
>put them in a pouch and have the eagle drop it over a target
>watchtheworldburn.jpg
>>
>>51158965
I've played in games with 2 DMs before. In my experience, it's played where one person is the "main" or "real" DM while the other one helps with initiative calls, marching order, looking up spells for the first DM, etc. According to them it's a good way to prepare for DMing on one's own.

It wasn't really a big deal, the deutero-GM had a "DMPC" that was basically just a PC, so it wasn't really very different at all from an ordinary one-GM group.
>>
>>51159056
> 2 parties that cross path
You avoid a disaster there. Unless all your players are cool adult.
>>
>>51158982
>level 1 spells that stay relevant
shield
detect magic
alarm
identify
comprehend languages
maybe feather fall?
>>
>>51158965
Not him, but I also run a small group with a co-DM. I do the worldbuilding and general campaign outlines, he does the encounter prep, and then when running the game He's the main DM actually running the story, giving narrative descriptions and roleplaying the NPCs the party interact with, while I run the mechanical side of things during play.
>>
>>51159098
> ritual
> ritual
> ritual
> ritual
I will give you shield. Feather fall when you have fly?
>>
>>51159143
>wasting level 3 slots
>>
>>51158982
I already play a wild magic sorc 1, the GM gave me the initiative for anouncing the wild surge trigger. I try to provoke it when I am surrounded by foes to limit the damages on my team.

Yeah, I have to find those spells.

Yes, Portent does precognition, while Lucky happens right at the moment, as the advantage from Wild Surge. It does noy do the same thing, but end up bending the chances.

>>51159043
True, its not the most optimized. Nevertheless, it seems fun, and that is why I am not rejecting yet the Chain GOOlock. I could even multiclass it with rogue after level 3, it could be really funky a rogue who speaks in other people's head, never has the same face and has an invisible buddy.

As
>>51159098
Said, Shield can be a good trigger if I get in trouble. Feather fall too.
>>
>>51159143
Featherfall is for when you want to concentrate on something else, or don't want to waste a 3rd-level slot for whatever reason.

Though that guy should probably go sor2/wiz5 if he's doing that, might as well get metamagic
>>
>>51159161
> waste a sorcerer spell known for a very situation niche spell

You are already a shit sorcerer.
>>
Can Bard with fabricate create everything? I mean... Jack of all trade at level 10, kinda mean I am proficienct with all tool right?
>>
For a Open Hand Monk, should I go with Alert, Mobile or Lucky?
>>
>>51159268
ASI.
>>
>>51159295
Human variant
>>
>>51159313
Mobile, then. It's great on monks.
>>
>>51159313
>>51159268
Get something that increases wisdom or dex by 1.

Or, I guess, mobile because you can run away from enemies after punching them which is kind of important.
>>
File: 8483_ca25_500.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
8483_ca25_500.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>51159104
>>51159078
>>51159003
>Half DMs
>Incapable of running a full table by themselves
>Probably due to some self diagnosed anxiety disorder
>These are the people that post here
>>
>>51157791
I think your DM will hate your guts (don't forget to go halfling).
>>
>>51159264
Does Jack of all trades give you proficiency in all tools?

No?

Then it doesn't kinda mean that you are proficient. It just plain old doesn't mean you are proficient.
>>
>>51159395
>Implying
I've run tables by myself before just fine. I co-DM now with a good buddy of mine because it's fun.
>>
File: conclusions.gif (9KB, 354x300px) Image search: [Google]
conclusions.gif
9KB, 354x300px
>>51159395
I don't know why you quoted me, I was only recounting that I've played in groups where two other people were both sharing DM duties, as was at least one of the other people you quoted. Nobody that you quoted even breathed a word related to "anxiety," self-diagnosed or otherwise. Pic heavily related.
>>
>>51159426
So being able to use it as good as an expert doesn't mean I am proficient with it huh? Good thing 1 level Mystic dip exist then.
>>
>>51159395
A DM is a DM, you can't say it's just a half.
>>
>>51159395
Joke on you. I am in a bizarre land where everyone want to DM and I am a forever player.
>>
>>51159264
Even if you added your full proficiency bonus, you still wouldn't be proficient in it.
>>
>>51159528
Yeah. Guess I will go Transmuter Wizard / Mystic 1 instead.
>>
>>51159460
>get half a proficiency bonus
>expertise gives 2x proficiency bonus
>1/4 of a bonus makes you just as good.

No.

Also good luck convincing any dm to allow the mystic UA.
>>
>>51159601
Only people in /5eg/ pretend to be trigger by mystic. Most table accept it.
>>
>>51159468
shut up "henry"
>>
How do we fix the bladelock?
>>
>>51159621
I don't mind psionics, but the current version of the mystic is 20 levels of features crammed into 10. It isn't acceptable for regular play.
>>
when in February is mystic/sohei coming out?
>>
>>51159645
Move up +CHA to damage to level 3. Maybe more armor and more hp like draconic sorcerer.
>>
>>51159645
The bladelock is completely viable as is, and has higher potential damage than just eldritch blasting.

Remove the tax invocations and roll them into the base class. Add new invocations that aren't mandatory, but are tempting.

Make weapon feats unique and varied, and maybe give the bladelock an additional ASI equivalent.
>>
>>51159647
Source?
>>
Howdy /5eg/, I'm playing a Warlock and soon approaching 12th level. I have to say, I'm not especially impressed by my upcoming Mystic Arcanum options. Should I be?

I'm considering taking 12th level for the ability score increase and my 6th invocation and then multiclassing. At this point, what makes a good multiclass option for an Archfey Tome Warlock?
>>
>>51159689
Sorcerer. Quicken Eldritch blast. Then get fighter 2 for Action surge eldritch blast too.
>>
>>51159684
Google mystic UA.
>>
Can you stack Expertise with the Mystic's Awakened Expertise?
>>
>>51159675
>more armour and HP
We've talked about this, it shouldn't be a 'choose this option for more tankiness!' option. The level 3 option is a choice between utility features, pact of the blade never even belonged there in the first place.

>>51159645
Make an alternate warlock class. Yes, you have to redesign the entire goddamn class, though only making a few adjustments.
>>
>>51159706
I mean why do you think they cram stuff into 10 level. That sound like personal opinion.

>>51159715
Read multiclass rule again.
>>
>>51159705
It's a bit late to go sorcerer, since the main benefit there is if you take a lot of sorcerer levels.

>>51159689
You levelled warlock like it wasn't a multiclass class, so that's your problem.
Still, at least you have three spell slots finally.

I wouldn't multiclass at all because the only thing you have left going is the fact you might get high level spells.
>>
>>51159621
>Most table accept it.

>>51159733
>That sound like personal opinion.
sorry to bully mate but c'mon, every language has SOME kind of conjugation
>>
File: 15969.jpg (97KB, 629x548px) Image search: [Google]
15969.jpg
97KB, 629x548px
>>51159468
>A DM is a DM, you can't say it's just a half.

Nah you don't get to call yourself a DM if you're just your buddies sidekick.

Do the other players even respect you, or do you need to get the real DM to tell them to stop bullying you?
>>
>>51159733
Mystic is obviously 20 levels of features crammed into 10 because it has a similar number of features as every other full 20 class. It also fits wotcs playtest material methodology.
>>
>>51159771
hey everyone, look at this moron who didnt get the joke
>>
>>51159739
Full disclosure, we converted these characters from 3.5. But if I need to reconfigure levels, I should be able to without any issue.
>>
>>51159901
Why the fuck were you playing a Warlock in 3.5?
>>
>>51159901
If you're multiclassing on warlock, you probably want at most 5 levels in warlock and at least 2 levels in warlock.

Warlock2/Fighter2/Sorcerer8 makes full use of Eldritch Blast.
Warlock5/Paladin7 wouldn't be bad, either.
Warlock2/EK7/Rogue3 is a bit of a weird one, but a possibility.
Warlock2/AbjurationWizard10
>>
>>51159766
Fix those grammar for me please, sensei.
>>
>>51159922
Babby's first character. And it was fun. The party overall wasn't well optimized, so I fit in just fine. At-will abilities were neat and let me do spellcasting shit without the bookkeeping.
>>
>>51159962
That makes some sense then. Carry on.
>>
How easy is it to find portals to a specific plane from the Astral? I can't find any information on this subject really but the art I've seen makes it seem like they're relatively common and easy to access.
>>
>>51159771
Well, TJ "Henry" Dragon, that's where you're wrong.

Actually, a DM has three parts.
>>
>>51160001
There's planar info in the DMG.
>>
>>51160024

Thank you!
>>
>>51159934
Incorrect. If you're multiclassing with a martial and a warlock, you take the warlock. Getting access to 5th and higher level casting is too good to pass up.
>>
>>51159669
anyone know?
>>
>>51159669
2018, third quarter.
>>
>>51160124
You could say the same thing about spellcasters. If you multiclass into a spellcaster, you don't get high level spellcasting.
>>
>>51160127
The 20th at the earliest.
>>
File: 1473621786360.png (3MB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473621786360.png
3MB, 960x960px
What class is the most fun to play at level one and two /tg/? I'm playing Adventurers League so unfortunately I can't just start at level 3 like most people here recommend.

It doesn't really matter for later levels because you're allowed to rebuild your character between sessions up to level four.
>>
>>51160162

Warlock and rogue I have found to be the most entertaining at level 1, because the paucity of spells/abilities don't hurt them nearly as much as anyone else. Good luck in the AL, I find it to be a good time.
>>
>>51160143
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1466423292139.png (42KB, 247x293px) Image search: [Google]
1466423292139.png
42KB, 247x293px
>>51157735
What reason could an agent of a goddess of war have to travel around with their chucklefuck party that's more interesting than "to prove myself in combat an die a warrior's death"?
>>
>>51160172
>be warlock
>level 5 spells
>multiclass into martial
>don't get better than level 5 spells
>be warlock
>level 5 spells
>multiclass into caster
>don't get better than level 5 spells

Basically.

If it's a case of 'why multiclass into martial when you can multiclass into wizard for casting?' then you're pretty much saying

'Playing anything but a caster is incorrect at high levels.'
>>
>>51160232
>'Playing anything but a caster is incorrect at high levels.'

True from a min maxing perspective.

You've missed the point though: if you've already committed to a warlock/martial multiclassing experience, you can drastically improve your utility with high level spells, while only sacrificing a little damage. Or you can gain a little damage and sacrifice massive utility. The choice is clear.
>>
I'm looking to flesh out my campaign setting (based largely on Spirit Science's Human History movie). I have most of the broad strokes but need some more specifics to fill the gaps.

How does this insanity strike you?
http://www.aloha.net/~johnboy/Reticulum.htg/Reticulum.htm
>>
>>51160201
Maybe you sensed something about the party that lead you to believe they would see much combat, and it is your duty as an agent of said goddess not only to fight gloriously, but to bring true glory to the battlefield in her name? After all, gods need worshipers, and nothing convinces potential converts like seeing a display of divine glory in person.
>>
>>51160296
>Attack of the 90s web design
My eyes!
>>
File: light into matter.png (345KB, 1145x642px) Image search: [Google]
light into matter.png
345KB, 1145x642px
>>51160326
That's how you know you've found the gooood shit.
>>
>>51160291
Still, warlock only gets so and so many spell slots to use their spells with. I suppose the invocations are a thing, though.

There are other benefits aside from simply having a eldritchblast->war magic->sneak attack combo, with expertise and other rogue abilities, shield and armour proficiencies, action surge...

There's not really any argument that isn't 'Why play fighter when you can play wizard, because the wizard has a lot more utility?'
From a min-max perspective, you'd never play warlock in the first place unless you wanted to abuse eldritch blasts with sorlock. If you're multiclassing with warlock, you might as well do something gimmicky rather than just delay spell progression for something silly. I guess you could take two levels of fighter for action surge and AC, but that's a bit boring. Otherwise it's just as I originally said that if you don't want to try one of the gimmicks out then you should stay pure warlock for high level spells.Multiclassing into a caster isn't going to give you that.
>>
>>51158174
Different classes already get different proficiencies depending on their class according to the Modern Fantasy UA.
>>
Can you use Sharpshooter with the artificer's gun? Also do you add your dex bonus to it? If so, it sounds a bit too powerful. It's basically the Rogue with a more reliable sneak attack.
>>
File: cr_lid.gif (15KB, 523x764px) Image search: [Google]
cr_lid.gif
15KB, 523x764px
>>51160350
wat
>>
>>51160392
It's a special action and you get a whopping one attempt at landing that hit. Rogues can make several swings to land their Sneak Attack, and even get an out-of-turn SA through other features (using reactions).
>>
>>51160412
A ranged Rogue is limited to one shot a turn as well.
>>
>>51160392
Compared to a ranged rogue, it is somewhat like that. However, a rogue can multiclass to get extra attack to make their sneak attack more reliable, and has other features which balance it all out.

So, compared to a ranged pure rogue, it's pretty much the same but with a 2d6 weapon unless the rogue can't get sneak attack for some reason, which shouldn't happen often.
Rogue isn't awfully strong damage-wise, so that's not a big deal.

A rogue that switches to melee (They can at any time really) can make two chances to get sneak attack for reliability.

Of course you can use sharpshooter, but why would you?
>>
>>51160392
>Can you use Sharpshooter with the artificer's gun?
Yes.

>Also do you add your dex bonus to it?
Yes.

>If so, it sounds a bit too powerful. It's basically the Rogue with a more reliable sneak attack.
Sneak attack is already very reliable. The difference is that the rogue also has more valuable skills (expertise), defensive options (uncanny dodge, evasion), and maneuverability (cunning action) without expending resources.
>>
>>51160393
kaballah?
>>
>>51160444
Crossbow Mastery nets them two, along with Sharpshooter for even more damage since you rarely take one without the other.
>>
File: sharkjaw.png (394KB, 605x782px) Image search: [Google]
sharkjaw.png
394KB, 605x782px
>>51158076
Classic third-party design.
>>
>>51159689

If you stuck with it this long your not really getting a whole lot of it by multi-classing,You either dip breifly into it or you ride i until the last couple levels then find something dippable like Fighter or Lore Bard

The consolation is that MA is about on par with the number of spells of that level other PCs get for a while and nobody gets a lot of 7-9th level spells anyways.Theres still some gems in there like Eyebite Finger of Death and True Polymorph/Foresight
>>
>>51160466
So it would seem.
>>
>>51159821
What? Is this about discipline? Do you also complain that cleric and druid have more class feature than fighters?
>>
>>51160392
They get dex to damage. Crawford confirm. Ranged rogue still do more damage.

2d6 + 20 > 2d6 + 10
>>
is sohei inherently japanese? would it be weird to flavor as sohei as something different?
>>
>>51161200
The word "sohei" is inherently nippish, yeah, but if that's what they're calling the Psionic archetype for fighters they're already essentially going way off from real world "fluff," which would honestly be better represented as a multiclassed Monk/War Cleric.

So yeah, go ahead and refluff, they're doing it anyway.
>>
>>51161326
what is the canon flavor for mystics and sohei? chinese? greek? actually japanese?
>>
>>51161342

i don't think psionic warriors ever existed in history anon

i'm so sorry
>>
>>51161342
We haven't actually seen anything of the Sohei yet, but "psychic fighter" is pretty far from "divine Buddhist warrior monk."

Mystics aren't really tied to any real world culture in their fluff, just sort of a nebulous new-age style "expanded consciousness and connection to alternate reality" going on.
>>
Am I That Guy if I end up working to provoke a war and take over one of the cities involved, when the implied direction the DM intends is that we should work to end hostilities?
>>
File: 1445910394286.png (10KB, 317x336px) Image search: [Google]
1445910394286.png
10KB, 317x336px
>>51161389
i mean in DnD you dip
>>
>>51161425
Is it what the party wants? Is it within your character?

Are you shitting on what you think the DM's "intended" story for a reason or just to be a bastard? Your answer lies within these questions.
>>
>>51160392
Its average is only a point or two over a rogue, assuming the rogue isn't doing twf/crossbowexpert/multiclass. Consider that the articifer gun has one big factor that prevents it from being cheesy: a bonus action required to reload.
>>
File: 1335861799876.png (292KB, 646x720px) Image search: [Google]
1335861799876.png
292KB, 646x720px
>>51161429

well in d&d the canon for soheis is obviously whatever kind of psionic warrior they make them into this edition, you donut
>>
>>51161443
>Is it what the party wants?
There's seven of us. Of them, I think two are good, most are neutral, and I'm the only evil one.
But so far they've largely left leaving up to me and a (I think neutral) moderate, probably because we're the most outspoken (and the most confident roleplayers).

> Is it within your character?
It's in the name of my character's core goals.

>Are you shitting on what you think the DM's "intended" story for a reason or just to be a bastard?
For a reason. Though I do worry a little about it - it would involve killing off or removing a character the DM brought over as a character she played in another game, and she's shown she'll occasionally just have a dragon swoop in and kill people if they do something she really doesn't like.
>>
>>51160372
>>51160291
>>51160232
It's pretty much the opportunity cost of not always picking the strongest option. Which in my opinion is not the most important thing.

For me, I'm just looking at the upcoming Mystic Arcanum and feeling underwhelmed. So, I don't feel like I have much to look forward to from this point as Warlock. I figure if I multiclass, late as it may be, many classes are front-loaded enough that I'd get a lot of new things at once. It's just a matter of whether those new things are more interesting than picking three high-level spells to cast once per day and a few new invocations. Really, that's the question I'm considering. And since I'm far from having mastery of this system, I figure there's plenty of people with a better sense of what combines really well, and what doesn't.

Also, look at this dude. This weirdo was the mascot for Warlocks in Complete Arcane.
>>
File: 1430548684484.png (33KB, 401x333px) Image search: [Google]
1430548684484.png
33KB, 401x333px
>>51161468
i was asking what they were because i didnt know, you could have said "we don't know yet"
>>
>>51157735
THE CHEECH WIZARD WOULD NOT APPROVE OF THE STUPIDITY THAT IS 5E.
>>
>>51161506
So you're just going to ignore >>51161395 and respond to the guy being a sarcastic smugposter?
>>
>>51161532

i'm a new sincerity smugposter thank you very much
>>
>>51161532
i was too busy responding to someone with /v/ memes to thank him

this is the second time this thread someone has wiffed on /v/ memes
>>
File: c1dbf2028b316d79e10a07055e168ff8.jpg (152KB, 998x1600px) Image search: [Google]
c1dbf2028b316d79e10a07055e168ff8.jpg
152KB, 998x1600px
Reminder that alchemist artificers can magically infuse vials of water which can then act as potions in almost all aspects.
>>
>>51161594
>Infuse vial with Cure Wounds
>>
>>51161429
Should've called him a DnDip
>>
>>51161503
>Might not be what the party wants, but they aren't confident enough to voice it.
I'd honestly avoid it for this reason alone. Its meta, but IRL shit comes before character goals personally. I'd say bring it up with them, but if they are anything like the quiet people I used to play with - they'll just go along with it without saying anything and then feel resentful later.

>DM will handwave away to save own character and storyline
Well in that case probably no point in even trying honestly. More trouble than its worth.

my 2c
>>
>>51161503
Do it. Then show her some evident that she is being a shit DM for using "dragon swoop in" method and try to rail road the party.
>>
>>51161643
Infuse a vial with Alter Self, you have a Harry Potter-style polyjuice potion.
>>
File: 1407204175156.jpg (181KB, 392x450px) Image search: [Google]
1407204175156.jpg
181KB, 392x450px
>>51161661
>>
Only just found the revised ranger, whats the general consensus on it?

Im thinking of going Hunter conclave but not sure on what to expect in terms of greater favoured enemies.
>>
>>51161697
It's a bit front-heavy but overall is a good fix for the problems PHB ranger has.
>>
>>51161674
I wouldn't say they specifically don't want it. It's a group of new players and largely they seem to be happy to go with the flow. They've been more amused by my evil shenanigans than upset by it, it's just a case of wanting to ramp up the evil and go against what the DM has in mind - I'm more worried about her than the party.

>>51161679
It wasn't her finest hour. She did it in response to a definite "That Guy" move by one of the others, but she could have handled it better. Didn't even give him any rolls, just declared he'd been eaten for being a dick.
>>
>>51161697
Kicks off at first level with a lot of goodies from Natural Explorer. Class is solid, options are solid. Overall, is an actually viable choice.
>>
>>51161697
Literally my favorite class in the game with a level or two in Rogue
>>
>>51161745
>I'm more worried about her than the party.
The thoughtful thing to do would be to ask your DM what she thinks about the plan and move from there.

I honestly don't know what you're doing playing a game with mixed alignments and no apparent immediate party goals. That's just a recipe for trouble.
>>
>>51161745
I guess maybe you could tell the group (out of characters) before hand about your character intention?
>>
>>51161768
>>51161746
What do you find most useful as choices for favoured and greater favoured enemies.

I know its obviously campaign dependant but is there anything that stands out above the rest typically.
>>
>>51161785
As a Ranger in a monster race campaign, I've gotten tremendous use form Favored Enemy )Humanoids). Even outside of this setting I can see that being super useful just because of the sheer amount of humanoids it'd detect
>>
>>51161785
Humanoid is pretty good, since it covers a lot of stuff including all the playable races.
>>
>>51161775
This reminds me of the time I played an Evil character whose goal it was to corrupt good adventurers as part of his deal with the devil.

I played a "good" character and pretty much just offered suggestions to the others of "lesser" evil paths. Until the group was talking about just full blown erradication of races and kingdoms and trying to seek out pacts with devils to gain more power/influence/wealth.

Was fun.
>>
>>51161803
>>51161805
Yeah humanoids was going to be the default unless I was given a reason to think something else would be better.

But choosing between celestial, aberrations, fiends, giants, elementals or constructs is hard.

I think aberrations are the most common, maybe constructs. But then giants and celestial seem like the biggest and strongest but also least likely to be encountered.
>>
>>51161785
Traditionally, I believe undead covers the most variety of possible enemies. Should be a reliable choice. But it truly is campaign dependent, and your DM should let you know what kinds of enemies your Ranger would benefit the most from specializing against.
>>
Comments / criticism?

I feel like 5e is missing out on some quality gross warlock options.
>>
>>51161858
>>51161805
>>51161812
>>51161848
Is volley as good as it seems?
Your ranged attack becomes radius 10ft which can target 12sq worth of enemies. I mean I guess that damage is spread out but shit that seems like a lot.
>>
>>51161862
I dig it. What's it out of? I'm not good at recognising non-basic handbooks.

I also find the visual changes to the character hilarious. Most of them are creepy or ominous, and then one's just "you have to wear a mushroom as a hat".
>>
I can't decide if I want to go gonzo fantasy in one world, or go gonzo fantasy but rip off Spelljammer,

I'm trying to find a compromise for my players. One likes scifi more than fantasy, and the other despises scifi and only likes fantasy.

I as DM like the weird and gonzo stuff, I don't expect making a total cohesive world, but instead populate it with cool shit and then smash it together to see what happens.
>>
>>51161890
It's homebrew, man. There are only 3 non PHB "official" sources for character options, and only 1 of them is a non-scanned pdf.
>>
>>51161890
It's not out of anything - it's homebrew I made myself.

Good rule of thumb: in 5e, class options are only ever out of either the PHB or Sword Coast, while races are only ever out of either the PHB or Volo's.

5e doesn't have all that many sourcebooks, even now. Most of the truly bananas stuff is Unearthed Arcana, which you can either pick up or safely ignore.
>>
>>51161919
>while races are only ever out of either the PHB or Volo's

Or Elemental Evil.

The DMG has two class options, too.
>>
>>51161862
id use it for my bladelock.

Im not into the fungus stuff personally, but everything is easily refluffable into more demonic stuff.

>replace spores with ash clouds that choke.
>absorb dead bodies/souls for health
>entangle is heavy chains rather that vines
etc
>>
How can I make a fighter that doesn't auto lose to spellcasters? I've tried twice now and not being able to pass the wisdom saves either disables me for the entire fight or turns me against my friends. Am I seriously going to have to roll a yuan ti fighter?
>>
>>51161940
>half decent WIS score
>resilience (WIS)
I play 90% martials
and 10% Gish and I don't leave home without resilience (WIS) and at least wisdom 12.
>>
If I want to run a Paladin/Sorcerer multiclass, when should I stop taking Paladin levels?

Going Favored Soul for plot reasons.
>>
>>51161959
well good thing fighters get extra ASI I guess...
What about flying enemies? I plan on making a STR fighter and I'm concerned about things flying around and ignoring me
>>
>>51161940
>Resilience (wis)
>Lucky
>Friends with counterspell
>>
How would you stat Samara/Sadako in 5e?
>>
>>51161978
Paladin 2, or 3 if you REALLY want an archetype
>>
>>51161940

Roll a Longbow Samurai. Pump Dex and Wis. Get Lucky feat if needed, otherwise Sharpshooter. You get a decent Dex save, good Wis save. Fill Wizards full of arrows.
>>
>>51161978
2. You can later go to 6 if you want for saves, and even though paladin 5 overlaps with the extra attack you get from sorc, 2nd level paladin spells are good. Paladin 7 is considerable as well. There's no real wrong way to do it, as long as you get paladin 2+/sorcerer X.
>>
>>51161986
Lower CRs don't have many ranged flier enemies, mid-high CR flying ranged enemies you can try:
>throwing weapons (though their range is shit)
>using cover to force them to come lower
>having the wizard cast Fly on you
>>
>>51161978
Depends on how much paladin and how much sorcerer you want.
2 or 3 in paladin is good if you want a plate sorcerer and still want level 9 spells.
If you want to hit things get to at least 6 paladin for the extra attack and aura.
If you aren't going vengeance then going 7 paladin is good for the oath feature and still get 7th level spells.
>>
>>51162012

Is Sentinel + Polearm mastery as legit as it sounds?
>>
>>51162018
Lets say I'm level 11, could I throw 3 javelins in 1 action? How would I carry all those javelins?
>>
>>51162036
I don't know, some kind of javelin quiver. By RAW, you could throw three javelins, though there's argument over how item interaction rules apply to that situation.
>>
>>51162026

Favored Soul still gets the extra attacks as if it were a paladin, albeit delayed by however many paladin levels one takes.
>>
>>51161940
2 level dip into rogue and taking mage slayer for cunning action to move 60 feet per turn and keeping on the wizards ass even if he's misty stepping around every single turn. And have some javelins to throw at him in case he does clear the gap.
>>
>>51162033
Unless you rolled godly stats, its going to be harder to do with a MAD character like paladin.
If you can pull it off its really freaking good since you can use your sorcerer spell slots to smite 2 times on action, 1 time bonus action, and 1 time reaction. Really good if you want to kill something ASAP
>>
>Wizard (Theurge: Forge Domain) 2/Gunsmith Artificer X
>Channel Arcana: Artisan's Blessing
>Make a new Thunder Cannon every short rest
>>
>>51162033
It's really good, but in my opinion, D&D being a team game, you'll rarely need that extra damage you get, and likely won't need to or want to burn 3 (or 4 with haste) slots on smite against any particular encounter.
It's good. Real good. But you're going to want strength, constitution, and charisma on a sorcadin, and I don't think the benefits (amazing damage) are something that the sorcadin wont already have available to them via quick casting spells and being able to smite with high level slots earlier than a regular paladin.
I'm of the opinion you should just do it if that's what you want, your damage will be via smites so you can abandon a bit of charisma and get by with 18 strength if you ever get there. Likely your game will only go so far, so just go for it.
>>
File: the ride never ends.gif (205KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
the ride never ends.gif
205KB, 500x500px
>>51162107

Time to arm the proletariat.
>>
Assuming I want to hit Rogue 4 for Assassin + Alert, what would be the best direction after that? Rogue 5 for 3d6 sneak attack? Or some sort of multiclass?
>>
>>51161978
If it were me, now having a few years experience under my belt, I would honestly aim for sorcerer 3, vengeance 7 at this point in life. Quick cast hold person, chase people who try to run from you, plenty of slots, quickened attack cantrips, and if you go nature you can even have like three classes of spells available to you.
>>
>>51162147
Absolutely continuing in rogue would be your best bet. Barring that barbarian and sorcerer both make excellent rogue companions.
>>
>>51161594
>almost all aspects.
Which aspects? Because they're not gonna benefit from anything a potion would.
RAW, you wouldn't even have to drink such a thing to apply it's effects.
>>
>>51161940
Be a fucking paladin.
>>
>>51162147
>not going 5 not just for 3d6 sneak attack, but uncanny dodge
Uncanny dodge is good.

If you want an 'optimal' multiclass, you could probably not get alert, focus on maxing dexterity and then focus on maxing constitution, take levels in barbarian and become a dexterity-based barbarogue with eventually up to 22 AC, though optimally you would start with a level of barbarian if you wanted more health rather than an extra skill.
>>
File: 『gorilla violet 』.jpg (126KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
『gorilla violet 』.jpg
126KB, 640x480px
As a monk/druid could I transform into a gorilla and still perform things like flurry of blows?
>>
File: 1277773624562.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1277773624562.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>51162270
>I'm gonna pass all my saves, and so is everyone within 10 feet of me!
>>
File: img2.thejournal.ie.gif (893KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
img2.thejournal.ie.gif
893KB, 700x525px
>>51162307
God bless.
>>
>>51162296
You retain class features while wildshaped, so yes, you could absolutely unleash the Secret Apeshit technique.
>>
>>51162296

Yup.

You can't use an animal form's multiattack, though, or FoB with the form's special attacks. FoB is unarmed strike only, regardless of your form.
>>
>>51162296
no
>>
File: FORTUNATE SON.jpg (91KB, 680x726px) Image search: [Google]
FORTUNATE SON.jpg
91KB, 680x726px
>>51162348
>Secret Apeshit technique

Bless you, sweet summer child
>>
What if warforged gets a fighting style as a racial feature
>>
>>51157916
I prefer swift quiver on a lore bard. Action to spellcast then two freebie arrows.
>>
>>51162397
I feel like Lore Bard have better thing to do with their bonus action
>>
>>51162384
If it replaces +1 AC, it'd be a nerf.

However, it's a good nerf that should be paired with a simultaneous buff.
>>
>>51162356
Oh, so even if unlisted, no matter the creature, you can make unarmed strikes?

What if I turn into a Giant Spider? Can I beat people up with my dumb spider legs?
>>
>>51162384

What if you get a girlfriend as a life feature?
>>
Artificers imbued spells. Do they still require concentration?

Making literal potions of speed for your martials with haste seems powerful as all hell.
>>
>>51162442
Mearls has clarified that the person who activates the spell maintains concentration on it.
>>
>>51162107
You can only create a new one if you "lost" your "Thunder Cannon".

Which your DM should interpret as your dick
>>
>>51162446
Still great but not as broken.
>>
>>51162442
>>51162446
It's still powerful though. Now all of your martials can concentrate their own haste.
>>
>>51162432
But you could take +1 AC as a fighting style.
>>
>>51161919
Dwarf (PHB)
Elf (PHB) Eladrin (DMG)
Halfling (PHB)
Human (PHB)
Dragonborn (PHB)
Gnome (PHB) Deep Gnome (EE)
Half-Elf (PHB)
Half-Orc (PHB)
Tiefling (PHB) Abyssal (Black Magic UA)
Aasimar (Volo) (DMG) 3 Subraces total
Aarakocra (EE)
Genasi (EE) 4 Subraces
Goliath (EE) (Volo)
Changling (Eberron UA)
Shifter (Eberron UA) 6 Subraces
Warforged (Eberron UA)
Minotaur (Waterborne UA)
Firbolg (Volo)
Kenku (Volo)
Lizardfolk (Volo)
Tabaxi (Volo)
Triton (Volo)
Revenant (Gothic UA)
Bugbear (Volo)
Goblin (Volo)
Hobgoblin (Volo)
Kobold (Volo
Orc (Volo)
>Yuan-Ti Pureblood (Volo)

I don't think they've got a shortage of race options, even though a hefty amount of them came from only two sources. I'd personally be more comfortable playing a race thats been written, even in a UA, before homebrewing a 50th option because "the mould didn't fit my superior imagination"
>>
Is it correct that people are saying 5e is too simplistic?
>>
I'm not hugely knowledgeable on 5e, so how would you guys make a character based on the Monkey King?
>>
>>51162482
Monk
>>
>>51162454
Artisan's Blessing allows you to create an exact duplicate.

>>51162471
For diehard pathfinder faggots who care more that extra options exist than their viability, sure. Otherwise no, it's not overly simplistic, though it is streamlined for ease of play.

>>51162482
Sun Wukong is literally the archetypal epic-level Monk.
>>
>>51162482
Build him similarly to Tiamat, he's a divine prankster who goes around fucking shit up and doesn't afraid of anything.

>>51162501
He's more than an epic-level monk, he's divine.
>>
File: fsX97.gif (316KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
fsX97.gif
316KB, 500x360px
>>51162435
This, but with heads.
>>
>>51162461
Yes, but that +1 AC wouldn't stack with the fighting style the classes get, and that's warforged's main gimmick.
>>
>>51162511
>cool guy doesn't afraid of anything meme
Easy there, sonny boy.
>>
>>51162550
You know it's true.
>>
What beast would be best to use as a mount for an artificer's Mechanical servant feature?
>>
>>51162569
Half-Dragon Allosaurus.
>>
>>51162569
>>51162582
If you just want a mount though... Giant Eagle or Giant Bat would be the best. I don't think there is a CR2 Large Beast with flying speed. So you have to make do with CR1.
>>
Holy shit, wil Wheaton is a sore loser bitch.
>>
Why the fuck doesn't polearm mastery work with spears?

It works with a fucking quarter staff but not a spear...

I just want to be a hoplite.
>>
>>51162501
They keep harping about how 5e lacks variety and options and that PF is great for variety and options in the same breath.
Apparently they say even a retard can homebrew for 5e because PF requires intelligence to create material for.
>>
>>51162728
Same reason spears have shit damage and no reach, fantasy is written by trope fuelled neckbeards with no concept of how weaponry works/worked and spears are therefore the realm of irrelevant mooks.
>>
Goblin or Gnome Alchemist Artificer?
>>
What should I take as my level 6 Magical Secret for Lore Bard?

Counterspell and Haste seem like a given but it's also the most boring choice. Is there anything better than a fireball in the blasting department store?
>>
File: ht.png (421KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
ht.png
421KB, 500x598px
I'm fluffing / changing up some magic items for my session tomorrow. Want to spice things up for the players as they are finally going to get their first big treasure horde.

The magic item I am thinking for the Sorcerer is a staff similar to the Staff of Python, but I want to give something that fits a little more thematically with a Dragonborn. Thoughts?
>>
>>51162582
>>51162590
Alright thanks. 2nd question, is Magic Initiate worth it to grab a spell for Infuse Magic?
>>
>>51162780
Staff of asian dragon?
Staff of pseudo dragon?
Staff of dragon dildo?
>>
>>51162780
>tailoring magic items
>big hoards of magic items in 5e
>dragonborn sorcerer
>the people being fought probably won't even use the magic items against the players

Oh, I get it, you're one of those fun-loving faggots, aren't you?
Fuck fun.
OSR style, you'll have to wrestle the item from the cold, dying hands of the enemy, you knew it was there all along because there aren't magic items everywhere and the magic item has a purpose for being other than just being convenient combat items. And if none of the players use longswords then too bad, maybe they need to be more creative with how they use it or they should've persued a different method or treasure. Then, anyone who tries to have fun by doing the perfectly fine thing of picking a suboptimal class but then putting a completely suboptimal race to it because dragon sorcerer dragons instead of having a not-dragonborn-half-dragon or something fluff will likely die to things because of double suboptimalness and

I've lost track of where I was going, I think it was probably going to end in 'fuck fun' for the 'I'm just kidding you don't have to be a hardcore faggot, I just disagree with you' feel to it.

Make it a staff that summons constricting flames, like an elemental python.
>>
>>51157735
foreverDMs

why do we do it?
>>
>>51162841
Nah, its not a big horde of magic items, there is a few there and some more common treasure.

That's a neat idea, though. Ill take it.
>>
>>51162770
You're a bard, blasting won't be your forte anyway. Haste, while a great buff, also requires concentration, which you'd rather spend on locking down your enemies. I'd grab Counterspell and Find Steed. With Find Steed, you can be a makeshift paladin. The movement speed really is amazing and you are still a great caster from horseback.
>>
>>51162856
Because it's fun, great to catch up with good friends and tell a collective story?
>>
>Only played 5E before, for a whopping two sessions before the DM decided they can't get used to Roll20
>Reading the rules for Mekton Zeta because that might be happening
Hold me /5eg/ this shit is too complex I just want to play 5E for now dammit.
>>
>>51157735
>artificer
>Dex/Int class
Are the only Dex/Int races really only Humans, Elves (High and Eladrin) and Gnomes (Forest and Deep)?
>>
>>51162875
Feral Tiefling.
>>
>>51162868
Wouldn't it be better to grab Phantom Steed then? Faster movement in and out of combat, and it still linger for 1 minute, long enough to finish combat, after it ran out of health.
>>
>>51162875
>Dex/Int
You really only need 14 dex if you're going Alchemist.

Definitely need good Dex for Gunsmith though.
>>
>>51162875
Half-Elf
>>
>>51162892
Find Steed is an intelligent mount, which means it gets to both move and attack under your orders. Other mounts will either attack but be uncontrollable, or controllable but unable to attack.
>>
>>51162770
An attack cantrip can be worth considering, since it'll give you consistent damage without having to dump an ASI on magic initiate. You can also consider spells lower than level three that may be worth grabbing such as bless or find familiar. You don't just have to grab the good level 3's you know.
>>
>>51162770
I personally went for Counterspell and Animate Dead. Having a wall of zombies to absorb damage and control enemy movement is great, and don't forget that you can order them to aid your melee party members in combat with the Help action and grappling. Paladins love help from zombies.
>>
>>51162924
First, why would you want to attack with war horse stat at level 6? Disengage or Dash is a better choice.

Second, you can't even do that. Crawford cockblock you again.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/18/does-a-paladins-mount-count-as-intelligent-creature-for-mounted-combat/
>>
>>51162956
My table has been doing paladins completely wrong, it seems. My paladin horse always fights with the rest of us. I'm a melee bard, so my horse is usually attacking, but yeah, I would use Disengage and Dash as well. But apparently that's against the rules.
>>
>>51162471
I love/hate proficiency and the proficiency bonus. With "bounded accuracy", it seems like any class that isn't Bard/Rogue is going to have a coin flip on a lot of skill checks, even with their specialties, even by 20th level, just because the d20 is so swingy and modifiers are so small. And in skills you're not proficient in, the d20 is all you have. For most characters, you pick the skills you're proficient in at character creation, and that's that.

For many classes, archetypes are just a single ABC multiple choice question at 3rd level that dictates one path for the rest of your life. This isn't necessarily bad, but it can be boring. Thankfully, most classes also offer additional options for finer tuning.

I could go on, but yes, I would say it errs on the side of too simple. All that being said, I would say that the underlying architecture is more sound in this edition than previous ones. And I think it's much easier to houserule things in than it is to houserule things out. It encourages homebrew, refluffing, and is overall a more nimble and modular system.
>>
>>51162973
>>51162973
Controlled Mount can Disengaged,Dash and Dodge.

Phantom Steed is still a superior choice with 100 movement speed (200 when dash), unless your DM allow you to use Griffon or some sort of flying mount with Find Steed.

Also Find Steed's horse can act separately if you are not riding from it.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/16/find-steed-steed-can-attack-on-your-turn/
>>
I've got a character idea but I'm not sure whcih class I want to make him.

His parents were poor as shit peasants and one year, after a bad harvest his dad went left to find a better source of income because there is no way they are going to be able to pay their lord AND have enough to eat.

Some months pass and letters/money that his dad sends become more and more sporadic until they cease completely. His mother is old and malnourished and during an epidemic falls ill and dies.

They day that he has to pay his taxes comes closer and closer and he doesn't have the resources to pay. The taxman is not sympathetic and basically tells him "tough shit, I'm going to reposses your home". So pc flies into a rage because he blames the local lord for losing his parents. And he kills the taxman. And then flees, obviously.

I'm thinking of making him a fighter or sorcerer but I'm not sure.
>>
>>51162464
I wonder what worthwhile homebrews are out there.

Anyone made anything that wasn't awful?
>>
>>51163004
That's just a background, my good man. It doesn't have any tie to your class at all.

Now.. you can add the flare to that... how did you imagine him kill the taxman? A spontenous flame? Sorcerer. A knife in the guts? Rogue. An axe to the head? Barbarian. A punch in the face? Monk.
>>
>>51163004
Could go warlock
>Prayed for help
>otherworldly being came to him
>made a deal with them to solve the problem
>the solution they gave was giving him powers to kill the taxman
>>
>>51163004

Was about to say sam as >>51163032

Warlock. Trade your soul to solve your problem, live the rest of your life moping about your past.
>>
>>51163004
Sorcerer is probably the only 'no prior training' class.
Warlock could function similar to it with a 'I made a deal with the devil to get back at these people, promising that only those guys would fall victim so it's totally an okay pact the devil isn't abusing me to destroy the entire kingdom maybe probably okay maybe they are but I'm only killing the taxman.. But I'm still not entirely sure how to use this power'
Everything else pretty much demands some level of training unless you want to be one of those 'lol he gained adventurer powers' people.
>>
>>51163041
Yeah, that was kind of my problem. I could fit in a longer bit where he then joins, idk, the thieves guild or something. But warlock seems fitting
>>
>>51163041
>Sorcerer is probably the only 'no prior training' class.
>Barbarian is sternly disappointed
>>
>>51163080
There's no way an improverished farmer could just become a barbarian. They need to eat well, do hunting, train themself to ignore pain, learn to use martial weapons, all that.

Sorcerers are literally 'One day, I found an artefact. Now I cast magic. Cool.'

You don't just get really, really angry and then suddenly turn into beefy mcbeefson.
>>
>>51163095
> implying Sorcerer and don't have to spend years fine tuning their power

Do you want to optic blast every thing in the vicinity or something?

Warlock is pretty much the same thing, they spend years trying to make contact or bargaining with the other world entity.
>>
File: 1479792313342.jpg (90KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1479792313342.jpg
90KB, 600x450px
Is mystic overpowered, and if so why?
>>
One of my players played a rogue and wanted to multiclass into wizard all of a sudden. If he'd asked someone to tutor him in town before, I would have let him, but wizardry isn't something you suddenly learn out in the wilderness. Warlock or Sorcerer works for something you learn quickly and suddenly, as does Favored Soul.
>>
>>51163023
Walrock hombrew posted his fungus warlock earlier in the thread, he got loads of more.
>>
>>51163125
mystic isnt even a complete class yet
>>
>>51163138
Is mystic as it is overpowered?
>>
File: mico mico lash.png (92KB, 413x421px) Image search: [Google]
mico mico lash.png
92KB, 413x421px
>>51163004
>>51163041
The new psion (or mystic, as it should be called now, I guess) fluff states that some minds get awakened by ripples/waves created by tears in reality leading to Far Realm. Radiation from the lovecraft dimension, pretty much.
But I guess progressing in that class would still require a massive amount of training your brain, like doin quizzes, solving crosswords/sudoku and playing checkers.
>>
>>51163137
It's a cool class, but I'm wondering about races. I suppose you could make a myconid fungal warlock.
>>
>>51162808
Infuse Magic specifically only works for artificer spells, so no.
>>
>>51163095
There's no reason a barbarian couldn't start as an impoverished farmer, though. He uses his Rage ability to kill the taxman with an unarmed attack, and then flees. He takes refuge in a small cottage in the forest and spends a few years hunting and gathering, occasionally helping the nearby villagers with odd jobs. He becomes strong and gains some weapon proficiencies doing this.
>>
>>51163125
No. It's pretty strong but that's to be expect from a pseudo 9th caster class.
>>
>>51163130
He could have study wizardry during his downtime or back before the adventure begin.
>>
>>51163218
And if he had I'd let him. But no. His downtime was spent in a whorehouse or picking pockets, and his backstory was a typical thief.
>>
Can someone clarify for a 5e newbie how the magic storage system works?

So cantrips are ones you can cast as many times as you like, yes?

Then 1st level Warlock can store one 1st level Warlock spell, use it, recover after a long rest.

A 5th level Warlock can store two spells - but the slot level is 3rd.

So spell levels are separate from character levels, yes? So a Warlock can have a 3rd level spell or a 1st level ranked up to a 3rd by dint of being in a 3rd level slot?

So you could have one 1st level spell bonused up to 3rd level, and one 3rd level Warlock spell?

(Does this work differently for other classes?)

Confusion arises due to relative familiarity with AD&D from Baldur's Gate, where you just got several spell slots appropriate for each level of spell.
>>
File: 1481149818205.jpg (389KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1481149818205.jpg
389KB, 900x1273px
So what happened to Eberron's planar cosmology in 5e?
>>
>>51163229
Isn't it your job to help him build a believeable story though? Maybe the girls he been sleeping with was actually some old wizard with magnificent beard under the guise of true polymorph.
>>
>>51163176
Have you checked out Tome of Beasts, it's third party and inclued a lot of monsters, a few playable.
>>
>>51163235
Think of it as a gun.

Warlock's gun can only carry 2 ammo before you need to reload (short rest)

You have tons of ammos (spell known) on you. And you can grab a more powerful ammo as you level up, but you still can only shoot 2.
>>
>>51163272
Oh wait. You can only shoot it once at 1st level and twice from 2nd level onward.

You only have 2 ammo type at 1st level but you can pick up one more (and you can choose to swap the old one for something else too) at each level
>>
>>51162770
I always take Lightning bolt for fun.
>>
>>51163235
Cantrips have unlimited number of uses, that is their design purpose.

Spell slot level is different from but related to class levels: your level in any given class will tell you what number of spell slots you have of a particular level.

Also, all spell casting is now essentially "spontaneous" in that you don't assign a spell to a slot until you cast it. Certain classes like Sorcerer and Warlock have a number of spells known, and can cast any of those spells as long as they have a slot of the right level available. Wizards, Clerics, and other classes that "prepare" spells select a number of spells either from their spellbook, or from the full list of spells for their class, but can cast any of those chosen "prepared" spells just like a sorcerer would, assigning the spell to an appropriate level slot as they cast it.

Warlock spell slots work differently than other classes, in that they only get x number of slots, and all of their slots are of a specific level, and refresh after a short rest.

And yes, if a spell is cast in a slot that is higher level than the spell itself, its effects may scale: this will be stated in the spell description. So all Warlock spells are cast at whatever level their spell slots are.
>>
>>51163248
>true polymorph

>rogue sneaks ahead of party into dungeon to scout
>wizard has cast invisibility on him, and he has elven boots so he walks silently
>gets almost to the end of the dungeon, passing three groups of enemies
>triggers the hostile wizard's alarm room, is knocked out of invisibility, gets True Polymorphed
>allow the wizard to know that something is wrong when the invisibility breaks
>party to the rescue
>paladin and bard are downed from the second fight, fighter pulls them out of sight and wizard makes a rope trick
>"We take a short rest"
>read True Polymorph to them
>rogue swears for two minutes straight and goes to mope in the couch
>>
>>51162808
>>51163179
Artificer Tradition Wizard's Spell Scrolls from the Eberron UA do the same thing, but you can scribe any spell you know.
Although I guess you can't use them for cheeky stuff like Giant Eagle Robot using your infusions.
>>
Is sun soul monk as fun as it looks?

I have a brutal DM and need to re-roll after another wipe.

Ill be at level 4 to start (we re-roll at the lowest living party members current level).

Im thinking the ability to switch between range and melee at will, and be a cool martial artist would be both fun and allow me a measure of survivability.

Current party make up is:
Devotion Paladin (4), Battle Master Crossbow Fighter (5), and Valor Bard (4), and we sometimes have a Life Cleric (4) but his attendance is variable.
>>
>>51163298
> not telling them that it can be dispel
>>
>>51163324
> brutal DM
Have everyone roll a Halfing Diviner Wizard with Lucky feat. Take control of your group destiny.
>>
>>51163335
Lucky is not allowed unfortunately.
Also, no wizard / sorcerer is yet to survive past level 3. Stray spells seem to practically insta-gib them.
>>
>>51163295
>>51163288

So wait, Sorcerer and Warlock can essentially cast any spell they know, but only twice, then Wizards and Clerics can cast any spell from their entire list, but need to prepare it in advance?

Then Warlock just has spell slots that increase in number and potency, while Sorcerer is more like Baldur's Gate with spell slots for each level of spell?

Is that all correct so far?

Then - can sorcerers cast low level spells in higher level slots (as Warlocks are forced to)?
>>
>>51163364
Sorcerer have the same spell slot system as Wizard and Cleric. They just have a limited spell known.

Warlock casting is a special case. They only have their highest spell slot, but those slot can be refresh every short rest.
>>
>>51163204
That's pretty much a period of training. Though, really, that probably is nowhere near enough to become a barbarian, because that's a pretty regular villager. I'm not even sure that qualifies for fighter, but then you can easily get away with playing that as a fighter or barbarian. It's not as much training as is intended, however.

Barbarians are typically made through a lifetime in the wilds trying to feed themselves, so something like a ranger except strongman.
>>
>>51163364
Druid,Clerics,Paladins: Prepare X number of spells from their entire list
Wizard: Prepare X number of spells from SPELLS KNOWN
Warlocks, Arcane Tricksters, Eldritch Knights, Sorcerers and Rangers: Can not prepare spells and can cast only the spells they know.
You can use any spell slot to cast the spell if its level is equal or higher to the spell. Warlocks have only 2 spells slots that increase in levels and recharge on short rest while everybody else recharge on long rest.
>>
Has anyone had a player quit before due to another player having great rolls on character creation.

This literally just happened.

>Let each player choose buy/template/roll
>player 1 chooses buy - cool no problem
>player 2 choose roll - rolls the following
16, 16, 16, 14, 13, 18
>player 1 demands this is unfair, wants player 2 to re-roll.
>I tell player 1 that if they really want, they can choose to roll as well and take that instead.
>player 1 refuses, saying he will get even worse stats
>fine - roll and take whichever you want
>he rolls, pretty standard, not really different to his buy.
>returns to argument saying player 2 needs to reroll
>I dont budge
>he moves onto the idea that all players need to use buy system
>I say if everyone needs to do the same, he can move onto roll system
>he gets really mad and leaves

This is my second time DM'ing and first time with the group.

How frequently does this kind of crap happen to a DM? No wonder no-one wants to do it.
>>
>>51163364
Also Cleric know spell kn their entire list from the start. But, Wizard need to learn and copy the spell into their spellbook first (usually costing them gold and downtime).
>>
>>51163430
Don't let players roll if everyone isn't doing it.
>>
>>51163430
You are a crap DM for allow a specific rolling and promote irredeemable unfair play from session 1.

Either everyone in the team agree to roll for stats and keep it, or no one roll.
>>
>>51163429
>>51163441
So is the advantage of Wizards that they know more powerful spells? As having to prepare seems a disadvantage.
>>
>>51163159
i dont think so but im no where near an authority on it so what do i know
>>
>>51163460
>>51163445
yeah I guess thats the take away. I did it for the first campaign and everyone seemed happy but maybe I just lucked out with the first group.

Its interesting to me that it seemed at the start as the most fair way - noone was forced to generate stats in a way that they didn't choose. But clearly it didn't turn out like that.
>>
>>51163475
Not really disadvantage. You can choose the right spell for the right situation.

Need to go into infiltration mission? Prepare Disguise Self, Charm Person

On a man hunt? Prepare Locate Creature, Locate Object and Hold Person

Wizard can adept their spell to suit the situation.

Sorcerer and Warlock are stuck with what they have, and if you only choose combat spell? You are pretty much screw in social or exploration scenario.
>>
>>51163475
No, it's that they get to know such an extreme amount of spells. Wizards can go buy new spells, no other arcane caster does that. If a wizard knows what he's up against, he's almost guaranteed to have a spell ready that targets the weakest resistance, he's got buffs to protect himself, he's got rituals for every occasion, and he's always got a spell with an appropriate damage type.
>>
>>51163489
The real take away is... "Communication" is key. Don't assume stuff, talk to your players as a group beforehand. Maybe they'll even be okay with your secret magical realm.
>>
>>51163364

All non-warlock casters get slots for each level of spell they can cast. I just used sorcerer as an example.

And yes, any spell can be cast in a higher level slot, as warlocks are forced to.

Here are the specifics:

Bards, Rangers, Sorcerers, all have a set number of spells they just know, and can cast at any time as long as they have a slot of at least the right level to spend.

Clerics, Druids, and Paladins prepare a number of spells from their entire list, and can cast any spell they have prepared at any time as long as they have a slot of at least the right level.

Warlocks have a set number of spells they know, and can cast any spell they know by spending a slot. That spell is automatically set to the level of the slot. Warlocks get all their slots back on a short rest.

Wizards have a spellbook, which contains a list of spells they know. They can copy new spells into their spell book for a cost of time and money. They prepare a number of spells from their spellbook, can cast any spell prepared as long as they have a slot of at least the right level.

>>51163475
The advantage of Wizards is versatility. Yes, they don't prepare from a full spell list, but they start with 6 spells in their book instead of only knowing 2 like a sorcerer, and can prepare a pretty large number. Plus they are the only class that can gain new spells outside of leveling up, by spending time and money to copy new spells into their book. Eventually, they can have more spells in their book than are on the entire Cleric spell list.
>>
>>51163489
> 4d6 drop lowest
> average array from that is 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9
> fair to standard array or 27-point buy
>>
>>51163533
That all makes sense. Much appreciated!

I play straight Rogue for the most part in order to skim around all this, but I might play a Warlock at some time in the future, I like the flavour.
>>
>>51163298
>wasting level 9 spell slots on random lone intruders
Eh.

Still, they probably had the right to have a chance of working out (Say, an arcana check) that it might become permanent.
>>
>>51163549
Glad I could help. I hope you enjoy playing your rogue, anon.
>>
File: ainzu-sama.png (638KB, 576x627px) Image search: [Google]
ainzu-sama.png
638KB, 576x627px
I don't like pointbuy because it either forces you to put points into a stat that does virtually nothing or play a character with the intelligence score of a Giant Eagle. Unless you're rolling Wizard, EK or the UA Artificer and Mystic.
Sure, rolling can do even worse, but in most cases it doesn't.
>>
>>51163561
They never knew he was polymorphed. Their only hint that something was wrong was that the wizard's concentration on invisibility broke.
>>
>>51159669
after the wizard
>>
>>51159669
>>51163619
Wait, were we promised Sohei as well?
>>
>>51163592
Then do 30-PB no stat lower than 10?

But you do know that 10 is consider to be average regarding that stat right? That mean more than half the population will have less than 10 INT.
>>
>>51161200
just refer it as anything that sounds warrior monkish and you'll be fine.
>>
>>51163561
>>51163298
Wait a second, more importantly, how did they get rid of the invisibility to see the guy to cast the spell?

If it's just an ordinary alarm, they could simply retreat back and avoid any area effect despellings. If it's a field of anti-magic, I think they could just walk out of the field.

I suppose if they have things akin to lanterns of revealing around, that might work, but it does sound like the Rogue should have avoided that fate in the first place unless the whole place is set to drop portcullises and traps once the alarm goes.

Had a player try to steal from an expensive shop once. They did all the stealth stuff right, but they didn't figure there was something akin to the 'alarm' spell.

>>51163613
Oh, right, the two sides never even met. I thought they all met up.
Still, seems odd that a wizard would waste level 9 spells when they don't need to. Otherwise they'd just be running around power word: kill ing the fuck out of everything they see because 'oh, I can do it every long rest'.
>>
>>51163613
> not use detect magic (is there any murderhobo who doesn't cknstantly use this is a wizard lair to find loots???)
> not use identify
> not use dispel on polymorphed rogue
>>
>>51163530
Oh that happened. I put the idea past them as thats how I ran my last campaign, everyone gave the thumbs up, as some of the guys preferred rolling and others wanted to guarantee decent stats. There wasn't an issue until the 2nd last guy rolled. And rolled awesomely. Everyone was chuffed with the rolls actually. well not everyone.

>>51163546
Yep those were the options.
>>
>>51163592
Rolling isn't any better unless you get good stats all around, in which case you've got a character without any interesting flaws.

Rolling in order, however, is a different case. There's no penalty for having a good int stat over a con stat when you don't need int - you were stuck with it anyway.
>>
>>51163636
The wizard had truesight and the Alarm spell was mental, so the rogue had no idea. Wizard hid behind his own door and got a surprise round when the rogue entered.
>>
>>51163350
>>51163324
your DM sounds like a Shitheel who wants to fuck you guys up for fun
>>
Should I punish a PC for leaving combat when the other PC's still want to fight it out? For this hypothetical imagine its a fair fight if the whole party was there.
>>
>>51163697
Eh, would've been cooler if they did something like used a spell to cover the entire room with flour so they could see them, but I guess all-powerful wizards kind of have everything so they don't have to be fun.
Still seems weird to waste the highest level spell slot on that instead of, say, regular polymorphing them, picking them up and throwing them in a dungeon cell.
>>
>>51163712
haha yeah sometimes it feels that way. I donno, its kind of like playing a moba in that we get crushed sometimes but when we triumph it feels fucking fantastic.

Its also scary as shit playing, and because the amount of encounters we have in a session varies wildly those that don't rely on long rests (and sorta short rests as well) can feel pretty strong.
>>
>>51163725
If the player has good reason to, sure.
Especially if they're low on health, though 5e's base mechanics promotes fighting until you drop and waiting for the fight to finish / heals.

The only punishment should be the rest of the party hating them and considering ditching them.
>>
So, in Curse of Strahd where do Victor Vallakovich's teleport circle destinations lead up to?
>>
Guys, I'm about to give a player an NPC to run as his new character as it fits into the campaign really well.

The only problem is, said character is a Half-Dragon. And Half-Dragons blow Dragonborn (Who are also in this fictional setting) into the water.

I do want to keep the differences between the races, and I guess I don't actually *mind* HD's being more powerful, but what do you think would be adequate recompense to the other players for HD bonuses?

I mean, they get a recharging, powerful breath weapon (I'm taking away the recharge), 10ft. blindsight, damage resistance to 1 thing, 60ft. darkvision, and whatever other racial bonuses they'd normally get for their chosen race.

So, what, free feats for the others or the like?
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (177KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
177KB, 2048x1152px
>>51162296
Yeah you can also go sun soul and still kamehameha shit as a gorilla
>>
>>51163748

We just adjudicated them to the Amber Temple, the Abbey and Van Ritchen's Tower, the latter of which non functional
>>
>>51163762
> Guys, I'm about to give a player an NPC to run as his new character as it fits into the campaign really well.

Simple answer: Don't. NPCs and PCs are designed around entirely different usages, and are balanced under those assumptions; basically, the game assumes that an NPC will be dead inside one encounter, so rechargable encounter abilities make things interesting in one encounter, but would make things screwy in a campaign.
>>
>>51163762
Just because one race is superior doesn't mean it can't be balanced. After all, adventurers work in weird ways that mean even a human can somehow be more powerful than an ancient dragon, potentially.
>>
>>51163725
I leave the combat once or twice to pursue the objective (The DM really want that guy to get away though).
>>
>>51163733
i just dont think that TPK should be so common that theres a rule for maximum level reroll
i mean most would let you re roll at what ever the player was last on top of that.
that said if everyone is having fun the im probably off base but like if your all playing competently there's no reason you should be killed like that. unless the DM just like killing you and that not really the DMs purpose
>>
>>51158107

mobile.
>>
>>51163762
my idea was to give a HD the stats of the non dragon race and the bonuses (breath weapon, draconic ansestry, damage resistance) of the Dragonborn
>>
>>51164071
Its probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

If they aren't resting often, then they would be going into combats with less resources than normal - whether or not that is 'competent' depends on the scenarios they find themselves in. And thats up to the DM.
>>
File: ezgif.com-b51f6ea6bb.gif (777KB, 397x400px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-b51f6ea6bb.gif
777KB, 397x400px
What is the absolute goofiest multiclass you guys know of?

Doesn't have to be effective or even really work often.
>>
>>51164098
Use the same rule and revenant to switch stuff out. No subrace feature, no trait and feat for V.Human, only 2 stat bonus for human
>>
>>51162582
Can someone explain the half-dragon part I keep seeing on mechanical servants
>>
>>51164195
https://open5e.com/monsters/monsters_a-z/H/half-dragon-template.html

It's in the monster manual.
>>
>>51164159
A Barbearian. Barb 1 > Moon Druid 2 > Barb 3

By level 5 I had 3 life bars and had resistance to pretty much everything. Also fun to cast jump before combat to jump on people as a raging bear.
>>
>>51164195
A Large or smaller mechanical servant, with CR 2 can be given a wyrmlings breath weapon as well as blindsight, darkvision, and resistances while still being CR2. So now you have an allosaurus that has a recharge 5-6 flame thrower or tazer or whatever damage type you want/need
>>
>LMoP
>three individal non-lethal downings
>two dead PCs
>two nonlethal full party wipes

We're not even at wave echo cave yet.
>>
>>51164305
>race restricted archetype
>buffs racial abilities
>doesn't make the barbarian do anything new or interesting just makes it dragony

>>> 3.pf
>>
>>51164369
New thread.
>>
>>51164159
Ranger Warlock with favoured enemies: Fiends/Fey and Pact: Fiend/Archfey
>>
>>51164371
>race restricted archetype
You mean, kinda like that one wizard archetype exclusively for dirty knife-ears from that one officially released book, friend? :^)
>>
>>51164362
Is it so deadly?
>>
Rate my homebrew ranger:

Mage Hunter
3- whenever a hostile creature within 30 feet of you casts a spell you can use your reaction to make a weapon attack against that creature if it is within reach of your weapon. You can cast Detect Magic and Identify as rituals with no material components. Also, the advantages granted by your Favored Enemy feature extend to include any creature capable of casting spells.

7- When you damage a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature has disadvantage on the saving throw it makes to maintain its concentration. You also have advantage on saving throws against spells cast by creatures within 30 feet of you

11- you add Counterspell to your list of known spells

15- whenever you cause a creature to lose concentration on a spell or successfully cast Counterspell the affected creature takes psychic damage equal to 1d10 plus your wisdom modifier
>>
>>51164493

Just... play Mathew Mercer's Blood Hunter: Witchbreaker class.
>>
Also, play a bard if you want to go Magebreaker

You get Detect Magic, Identify, Enhance Ability, Silence, Hold Person, add half your proficiency to Counterspell or Dispel Magic, Circle of Power at level 10, and you inspire yourself in your Counterspell checks, which you can pour out with a full caster progression by the time you can pop Forcecages around liches
>>
What are some cleric touch based spells that would keep a familiar through magic initiate relevant at higher levels?

I'm having a hard time thinking of any past Contagion
>>
File: bb crow.png (509KB, 601x617px) Image search: [Google]
bb crow.png
509KB, 601x617px
>>51164576
I can't tell if it's a Witcher copypaste or a Bloodborne one but I kinda like it.
Thread posts: 391
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.