[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder General /pfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 51

File: vdma.jpg (406KB, 1713x2048px)
vdma.jpg
406KB, 1713x2048px
Pathfinder General /pfg/

What is your preferred permutation of default allowed sources? Paizo + all DSP + all SoP seems to have been the standard before.
Paizo + Forrest (in DSP or FFS) + N. Jolly seems to be gaining traction now, possibly because of disillusionment with PoW and SoP. Does this permutation have good merits?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: http://pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest 1:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing
Spheres of Might preview: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/

Old Thread: >>51136508
>>
I currently use Paizo + DSP (psionics and akashic) + SoP. Everything else on a case by case basis, but I don't think I've ever disallowed anything of Forrest or Jolly's.
>>
I personally hope that, once we get more content and an actual playtest build, that Spheres of Might gets some traction

Mostly for Parkour Kobolds
>>
File: chill out.png (2MB, 800x493px) Image search: [Google]
chill out.png
2MB, 800x493px
What would drive a non-Irriseni to become a Winter Witch, /pfg/?

Especially if he is prone to making nihilistic-sounding jokes on the best of days and outright states that he wishes he could freeze to death without chickening out on the worst?

Pic related only insofar as it's what he aims to inflict on his enemies. And his friends. And everyone. Including himself.
>>
Troll pic and troll discussion question for maximum havoc.
>>
>>51141888
I might be one of the only ones in /pfg/ that finds Forrest's stuff a little... samey? It's never bad, per se, but it seems like it's all just "dude blasts lmao". Living legend was neat though.
>>
File: ffxiv_pcw21001_1920x1080.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ffxiv_pcw21001_1920x1080.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>51141947
It's already shaping up to be what I actually wanted when I think "I want martials to be able to do cool things"
>>
>>51141970
Nah, I agree, it's pretty similar.
>>
>>51141992
I overall like a lot of it, but the design space has gotten incredibly crowded with psyarm, kineticist, kineticists loads of 3pp support, warlock vigilante+3pp, Spellburst, and Avowed. It's difficult to look at those all when the majority of them do some sort of "ranged magic attack allday.tm with allday.tm utility"
>>
>>51141888
>Paizo+ Jolly + Forrest + Limited DSP (no initiating, but some feats from PoW) + other 3pp on case-by-case basis
>25 pb Gestalt with feat tax reductions

That's what I'd like to play, though the likelihood of anyone bothering with that without a shitfest is next to nil.
>>
>>51141970
It definitely falls within a pretty specific framework, but it's also generally solid, well executed, and balanced so I don't worry about Forrest's work being disruptive or creating unwanted dynamics in my games.
>>
>>51141970
>>51141992
Probably because FFS started with her blaster concept, before patreon voting got us to work on our Warlock port. Our next project is rather different!
>>
>>51141947
Parkourbolds?
>>
>>51142085
I'd likely just say Paizo+Avowed+Jolly+PoW feats
Soulknife and Aegis are maybes. Never been a big fan of Psionics, or vancian for that matter. I like SoP if not for the odd interactions it has with vancian. SoP really feels like it needs a 2.0 release to iron out a lot of the weird things it can do.

Here's hoping that SoM is a fucking great release.
>>
>>51142126
>SoP really feels like it needs a 2.0 release to iron out a lot of the weird things it can do.
They have an errata, also many of the sphere Handbooks do have references and clarifications in them on occasion
>>
>>51142126
I think SoP gets a lot cleaner when you remove Vancian entirely, which I do. SoM seems really on point, I haven't heard anyone on that team say anything that I don't find interesting, and their teaser preview makes me want to see more of the system and classes.
>>
>>51142170
>>51142126
Weather was still a fucking mistake-and-a-half.
>>
File: magic missile.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
magic missile.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
Alright, I know Avowed is the current Flavor of the Month, but what about the Spellburst Savant? Was that ever finished, and was it any good?
>>
>>51142170
It would still be nice for them to upgrade the book with all the errata and clarifications. Maybe do a new printing with some upgraded art while they're at it.
>>
>>51142193
It was great, as much as any blasty class generally is. Makes a nice replacement for classic wizards if you want an E6 feel without having to actually limit yourself to low levels.
>>
>>51142126
SoP is far from perfect. Weather is still absolutely broken for example. Ignoring the Greater Talents though I think SoP casting is in a better position balance wise than Paizo casting.

Currently I feel it's one of the better casting systems around due to its simplicity and theme. Psionics is in a similar place balance wise, but it's not as elegant as Spheres to me.

SoM seems to be avoiding one of the pitfalls of a lot of books like that by avoiding the "These are a new set of replacement core classes" by basing the system out of feats and archetypes. The classes they are introducing are stuff that aren't really in Pathfinder like a non-magical buffer, healer, and a real "build your own martial" class.

I'm actually looking forward to the Conscript who manages to be the true blank slate the Fighter failed to be.
>>
First level Skald, strength heavy.

I have 13.6gp left, what should I spend it on? What low-level, low-cost items are overlooked when they provide great utility, especially in the beginning of a campaign?

Does anyone have stories they would like to share about clever ways they navigated 1st level?
>>
>>51141888
I'm pretty liberal with allowing 3pp, but I'm getting a feeling that when SoM is finished it'll be Core + SoP + SoM - Vancian casting, no Path of War, Jolly and Forrest always, Gonzo when applicable.
>>
>>51142246
>I'm actually looking forward to the Conscript who manages to be the true blank slate the Fighter failed to be
I saw them talking about that, a martial version of the Incanter. I'm intrigued to see that and the Scholar class. Seems kind of ballsy to put a 1/2 BAB class in a martial book, I'm interested in seeing if they pull that off.
>>
File: Archer Elf.jpg (123KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Archer Elf.jpg
123KB, 900x1200px
>>51142304
Conscript is still in balancing, as is scholar. We have our ideas for this though.
>>
>>51142274

Flasks of oil are always useful. An intelligent enemy will spend an action putting themselves out instead of attacking. It's good against swarms, too.
>>
>>51142192
Weather's weird. You have nigh godly powers to manipulate the weather and hold an entire kingdom's crops ransom, but your actual combat options are surprisingly slim.
>>
File: Nephenee[1].jpg (193KB, 528x376px) Image search: [Google]
Nephenee[1].jpg
193KB, 528x376px
>>51142304
From what I understand the Scholar is more like a back line commander/healer/support.

The conscript is a pile of talents and feats. I don't know if it has class features and if it does they'll probably be as fluff neural as possible like "Bonus to save of choice/weapon group of choice" Since the idea seems to be that the conscript focuses on whatever the player wants.

Personally thinking I may make Nephenee and style her combat style to be very Dragoon.
>>
>>51142193
The turbo version is pretty awesome. The regular version is okay, but loses a bit too much of its fundamentals flavor to regular spellcasting I find.

Regular version is in most ways a much better Cryptic, though magical instead of psionic.
>>
>>51142332
What do you mean good sir?

Get elemental resistance for your party to fire or cold then walk into the dugeon with a giant burning rain/blizzard filling any room you enter.

>>51142322
Just keep doing as you do. I'm happy with what you and Mike have been telling people.
>>
Anyone here played Dragon's Demand? Anyone GM'd it? How was it?
>>
>>51142332
Which is kinda good I guess. Sure, you can make it rain whenever you wish, but it takes a while to gin up, and any schmuck with either a knife or a well placed arrow can stop it all, and you have almost nothing to stop a Fighter from charging forth and cutting you in half
>>
>>51142304
Well they put multiple full-bab classes in their magic book.
>>
Level: 5th
Race: Dreige (Lords of the Mist update) or half-giant (Ultimate Psionics)
Classes: Warder (ordained defender, zweihander sentinel) 4/stalker (brutal slayer) 1
Domain/Inquisition: Conversion (use Wisdom in place of Charisma for Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate)
Martial Tradition: Stained Glass Champions

Ability Scores (25 point buy): Strength 17+2+1+2, Dexterity 12-2, Constitution 12, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 16+2+2, Charisma 7

Traits:
• Combat: Practiced Initiator (stalker), +2 initiator level for stalker
• Race: Fey-Touched (Lords of the Mist), +2 trait bonus against compulsions and diseases, feyblood subtype
• Third Trait: Some method of gaining a +2 trait bonus to initiative checks, possibly through a campaign trait or Adopted
• Drawback: One of choice

Feats:
• 1st-level: Altered Life (Bloodforge), use Wisdom modifier (+5) instead of Constitution modifier (+1) for hit points
• 3rd-level: Martial Charge, use a martial strike in place of a charge
• 5th-level: Victorious Recovery, once per encounter, recover initiator modifier (+5) upon reducing an opponent to zero or less hit points
• 5th-level (Stalker Art: Combat Art): Improved Initiative, +4 bonus to initiative checks

Custom Monk Weapon:
• +5 DP: Martial
• +3 DP: Two-Handed
• +3 DP: Additional Design Points
• +1 DP: Fragile (irrelevant once made masterwork)
• -3 DP: Improved Critical Threat Range
• -5 DP: Improved Damage
• -1 DP: Weapon Feature (Monk)
• -3 DP: Weapon Feature (Reach)
Final Result: Martial two-handed melee weapon, 50 gp, 2d6 damage as Medium, 19-20/×2, fragile (irrelevant once masterwork), monk, reach

Key Equipment:
• 4,000 gp: +2 Strength from belt or Combating Christmas Trees
• 4,000 gp: +2 Wisdom from headband or Combating Christmas Trees
• 2,000 gp: Masterwork full plate with masterwork armor spikes
• 400 gp: Masterwork Large-sized custom monk weapon
>>
>>51142385
Pretty standard adventure stuff. Not too many plot holes, decent challenges, fits into pretty much any campaign setting.
>>
>>51142322
I saw a claim on the Paizo forums that with SoM you'd be able to make almost every Soul Calibur character using two Spheres or less. Is this true? I'm almost tempted to make as many 1-20 builds of Soul Calibur characters as I can just to see if this claim holds water.
>>
Warder Stances:
• Primal Fury 1: Running Hunter's Stance
• Silver Crane 1: Eyes of the Crane

Warder Maneuvers Readied:
• Golden Lion 1: Boost: Encouraging Roar
• Silver Crane 1: Strike: Enduring Crane Strike
• Golden Lion 2: Counter: Warning Roar
• Scarlet Throne 2: Strike: Rising Zenith Strike

Stalker Maneuvers Readied:
• Broken Blade 3: Strike: Steel Flurry Strike
• Riven Hourglass 3: Boost: Time Skitter
• Shattered Mirror 3: Boost: Reflected Blade Style
• Veiled Moon 3: Boost: Ghostwalk

Stalker Stance:
• Primal Fury 3: Primal Warrior Stance

Combat:
• Initiative Bonus: +11 = 5 Wisdom modifier + 2 trait + 4 Improved Initiative
• Attack Bonus with Martial Charge (Steel Flurry Strike) and Time Skitter: 4 BAB + 6 Strength modifier + 1 masterwork enhancement + 1 Time Skitter + 2 charging - 2 Steel Flurry Strike = +12, possibly against flat-footed AC
• Non-Critical Damage with Primal Warrior Stance and Steel Flurry Strike: 6d6 base weapon damage + 9 Strength modifier + 3d6 Steel Flurry Strike + 2 Broken Blade = 9d6+11 (average 42.5)

This character walks around with Time Skitter active nearly all the time, thanks to being able to recharge it as a standard action: https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43652765/#43653434

In other words, the character is permanently Hasted and has 40-foot speed in heavy armor.
>>
>>51142406
>>51142434
What warranted this?
>>
The character opens up combat with a very high initiative check, then charges 80 feet with Martial Charge, activating Steel Flurry Strike and Reflected Blade Style, probably targeting flat-footed AC.

Assuming there are no critical hits (which trigger Brutal Strikes)...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hYrnghrSe7kMOko-aNiS0HTVlSJnUBkvHD2dmg0omGY/edit#gid=1753461638
• One hit: Enough damage to take down two CR 4s
• Two hits: Two CR 7s
• Three hits: Two CR 10s are most likely dead

Then Victorious Recovery recharges essentially all maneuvers.

This a 5th-level character. Their other highlights include:
• Wisdom for hit points in place of Constitution.
• Wisdom for all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.
• Detect Evil and twice-rolled Perception from Eyes of the Crane.
• Scent from Running Hunter's stance.
• At-will noncombat healing from Enduring Crane Strike.
• At-will incorporeality (i.e. passing through walls).
• Hasted most of the time, with Rising Zenith Strike as a backup enemy-exploder.
>>
File: mitsurugi.jpg (24KB, 270x406px) Image search: [Google]
mitsurugi.jpg
24KB, 270x406px
>>51142425
This is the design goal we have, although I'd like to say that it'll probably involve classes here too.
>>
File: monsoon2.jpg (200KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
monsoon2.jpg
200KB, 1920x1080px
>>51142462
Memes, Jack!
>>
>>51142425
I think that claim only referenced their combat abilities used in the vidya. I imagine that if you wanted to have some abilities used in lore, such as being a boss sailor or spy, that you probably need a few more spheres.
>>
>>51142246
>>51142126
SoP also really needs to drop the whole "fractional caster level" thing entirely. That on top of the slower talent drip and stuff is just silly.
>>
>>51142467
>>51142434
>>51142406

These are proxy posts because Touhou is having trouble posting. This is a follow-up to >>51140765 from the last thread.
>>
>>51142468
Any chance we'll see a Skyborne SoM book with spheres like "Airship Piloting" or "Anti-Fey combat techniques"

That woudn't really fit in the base book for SoM, but I imagine that the world of Skyborne has some pretty niche stuff like that.
>>
>>51142468
Greatbow class/archetype?
Y/N
>>
File: Dog dream.jpg (22KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
Dog dream.jpg
22KB, 250x236px
>>51142507
Down the road, that'd be something pretty awesome to do; I'll bring it up to the crew!
>>
>>51142477
Nah.
>>
>>51142519
CROSSBOWS.
giant bows already have entire classes to themselves, it's called "anything not specifically entirely dedicated to a weapon that isn't them"
>>
File: archer.jpg (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
archer.jpg
100KB, 1920x1080px
>>51142519
Maybe an archetype, but we're trying pretty hard to keep spheres weapon agnostic aside from melee/ranged, and even that we're doing our best to keep as open as possible.
>>
>>51142468
Awesome! If more playtests roll out, I'll be sure to post some builds here for critique.
>>
>>51142406
>>51142434
>>51142467
I will say, this feels like one of the highest points of initiator optimization. I don't know how much higher it could go, but I'm incredibly curious.
>>
File: 51e0b6325fd50b68c24daf8db6fa9b31.jpg (697KB, 1200x858px) Image search: [Google]
51e0b6325fd50b68c24daf8db6fa9b31.jpg
697KB, 1200x858px
>>51142406
>>51142434
>>51142467
So, to clarify, the AVERAGE damage is 42.5 points per two rounds, with a maximum non-critical of 85? Which is a far cry from the "lol150damage" people keep touting about, and more importantly it requires a specific race, multiclassing, AND an expensive customized weapon in order to function, correct? Not simply something that "anyone can do".

Ergo, not only are the memes inaccurate, they weren't even as much as people kept exasperating about. Thank you for this lesson, 2hufag, it was enlightening as well as very useful in BTFO'ing the shitposters. From the bottom of my heart, thank you very much.

Have a trio of Touhous in return!
>>
How the fuck are you supposed to pick Traits?
>>
>>51142553
What do you mean? You pick two that aren't of the same type (Social, Race, Religion, Regional, Magic, Combat), three if you've got a Drawback.
>>
>>51142541
Good. Keep'em agnostic when possible.
I still seethe at seeing "melee weapons only" on everything from targeting scopes to high pressure ammunition back in the steelforge playtests.
>>
>>51142529
Yah!
>>
File: A Best.jpg (306KB, 600x817px) Image search: [Google]
A Best.jpg
306KB, 600x817px
>>51142347
Best character in best game
>>
>>51142550
Yeah, it'll on average miss on 1-4 against CR-1 so the DPR is a bit lower than the average damage per hit.

Seems the meme was caused by yet another "BUT ITS HUGE" on-paper that is far lower in math and lower still in practice.
>>
>>51142541
That's the best I could ask for.
I'm feeling a Silver Knight character coming on, and you can bet I'll be pumping acro to get up on catwalks to shoot people off them.
>>
>>51142550
That 42.5 is without using a boost. Which could be RBS or bronze knuckle. We went over the math for the 150 thing in the end of the last thread. The number comes from the pre-attack calculation.

WGA+Large Greatsword+Powerful Build+Primal Warrior+Power Attack+Steel Flurry+Bronze Knuckle+20 STR (or 18 and a +1 weapon).
>>
>>51142568
The point of lowcasters and midcasters is that they're supposed to have class features to make up for the lesser caster level.

Mageknight for instance, super does.

Armorist on the other hand, not so much.
>>
>>51142561
I mean more "how do I filter through these hundreds of seemingly useless traits to find things that will actually be relevant"
>>
File: Archer elf 2.jpg (394KB, 2053x2053px) Image search: [Google]
Archer elf 2.jpg
394KB, 2053x2053px
>>51142544
We will be doing more previews, and we WILL be doing a public playtest for SoM once we're further along. Repeat, we WILL be doing a public playtest.

>>51142566
We're doing our best to make sure that if something COULD work for a weapon type, we'll allow it. You can't box with arrows, but that's about where we're trying to cap it.

>>51142577
That sounds like it'll work damn well with armiger. The preview should have been updated with the new text on that to help clarify where it might have been a bit muddy before, so check it out!
>>
>>51142590
There's a Trait Guide in the pastebin linked in the OP. It's actually really helpful
>>
>>51142590
Follow this link: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/tools/traits-filter

Then, in the Benefit bar, type in a single word that you want to focus on for that trait, such as "Armor" or "Device" or "Critical". Find the thing that fits the best, and go to town; SO much easier than sorting through everything at once.
>>
>>51142590
d20pfsrd.com has a page you can go to that has a searchable list you can plug keywords into to find what you need.
>>
>>51141888
What exactly makes Forrest/N. Jolly so special as to have them be their own category?
>>
>>51142601
>>51142602
>>51142603
many thanks
>>
>>51142434
>>51142467
Correction from Touhou: Ghostwalk has to be dropped because of maneuver prerequisites. Instead of readying Ghostwalk, ready Broken Blade 2's Bronze Knuckle instead.

>>51142550
42.5 damage is per non-critical hit. Steel Flurry Strike is three attacks. In the best case scenario of three non-critical hits, then, 127.5 damage is dealt to two enemies.
>>
>>51142621
They talk to people here, and their work doesn't suck.
>>
>>51142582
The problem is that SR and AC aren't comparable, but that system treats them like they are.
>>
>>51142597
Armiger already makes me moist.
Is there any chance of it getting an archetype that swaps out additional bound weapons to trade for more features on the single bound weapon?
>>
>>51142566
>high-pressure ammunition
>melee weapons only
GODDAMNIT SQUALL!
>>
File: 2014-11-13-arrow.jpg (32KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-13-arrow.jpg
32KB, 950x534px
>>51142597
>You can't box with arrows

AHEM.
>>
>>51141970
>>51141992
>>51142068

At this point in time, agreed. I think so too, though I'd like to think that my stuff is relatively unique within their own classes.

It's mostly a quirk of timing and what I ended up working on. The Living Legend was my Big Thing for a while, but it's a soulknife—stabbing things with magic is its gimmick. Then the kineticist stuff for PsiAug, and the Roil Dancer (I was the only DSP staffer really willing to touch it, and having fun with it).

The Spellburst Savant was basically "I'm gonna do homebrew based on an idea handed to me" and morphed into something bigger, and the Avowed is a port of my second-favorite 3.5 class, which coincidentally was ALLDAY magic + ALLDAY utility. Honestly, I personally quite like "allday combat magic/martial + some sort of utility" as a design paradigm, but ideally not /all/ my stuff will follow that mold. Most things /will/ have some sort of repeatable gimmick or sets of gimmicks in their subsystems, though, because running out the stuff you need to /function/ (as opposed to the stuff that makes you /amazing/) sucks ass.

The tech stuff I'm writing, along with the eventual unchained bard, unchained cleric, mounts, and other things (maybe a Binder port), are gonna be very different from this, I expect.
>>
>>51142621
"tried tested and true". you don't have to worry about it looking like the Adamant Entertainment Warlock by the time it's out of earliest alphas.
>>
File: Elf mage 3.jpg (386KB, 1280x1778px) Image search: [Google]
Elf mage 3.jpg
386KB, 1280x1778px
>>51142670
Probably, we plan on doing archetypes, but I'm really hoping we make it to at least 15k so we can get a really nice archetype section.

>>51142675
...well dammit, you win this round anon.

>>51142689
God that warlock was terrible...
>>
>>51142681
Hey, Forrest. I'm working on Spellburst Savant for Hero Lab. Do you use that at all?
>>
File: Absolutely Corrupting.png (2MB, 938x703px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely Corrupting.png
2MB, 938x703px
Reminder that if you use "custom weapons" without GM approval, and just make them into balls of stats not properly based on any practical weapon, you are scum
>>
File: Click to Cry.jpg (29KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
Click to Cry.jpg
29KB, 300x310px
>>51142701
So yeah, my trip disappeared...it was eaten by a wolf...
>>
>>51142704
I do not. Never been one for character builders.
>>
Is there a link to the Conscript somewhere? I know it isn't out yet, but I'm intrigued about what >>51142246 was talking about
>>
>>51142681
>and the Avowed is a port of my second-favorite 3.5 class
What's your first favorite? What other classes (base or prestige) do you like the most from the 3.5 era?
>>
>>51142659
... How?
>>
>>51142701
That's a v cute elb mage
>>
>>51142635
Assuming my DPR calc program isn't wrong, the thing linked does like 103.8 dpr after hits/crits are factored. And that's before boosting with RBS.

So it's a 207.6 dpr build, with really good movement, initiative, socials, and detection abilities. With a out of combat heal.
>>
>>51142719
Notepad worksheet type?
>>
>>51142746
Oh that was against CR 5, which has an AC of ~17, and a health of about 53. And it'd hit two of them.
>>
>>51142720
They've described what it is, but it hasn't been made available through preview or playtest yet.
>>
>>51142746
How do you go from doing those numbers every other round to doing twice that as DPR?

Are you Cryptic Entertainment? Is that build the Omega Torpedo Launcher that they only recently "fixed" not by bringing its damage back up but by REMOVING the DPS from the tooltip?

>It fires every half second so we'll be lowering its per-hit damage and giving it an ammo limit
>Even though in practice it actually fires every TWO seconds, and so was already in the crapper
>>
Anyone see the new 'meet the team' update for SoM?

>Adam Meyers is the creative mind behind Spheres of Power, Skybourne, Rogue Glory, and many other Drop Dead Studios products, Adam founded Drop Dead Studios when he was living as a stay-at-home Dad, and it quickly transformed into a full-time job with which he couldn't be happier.

>Michael Sayre has an extensive list of credits in Pathfinder design, including Akashic Mysteries, The Battlelord, The Luchador, The Genius Guide to Bravery Feats, Lords of the Night, Spheres of Power: Expanded Options, and Vigilantes of Skybourne, and he's excited to work on the next big iteration of the Spheres system.

>Andrew Stoeckle is the writer behind the acclaimed Destroyer's Handbook and Shapeshifter's Handbook from the Spheres of Power handbook project. He's also the original creator of the Spheres of Power Orrery and its associated guides for the system.

>N. Jolly is a hero, and someone you should admire. As the writer of the Kineticists of Porphrya series and the Legendary Vigilante line, he has a long history of being amazing and handsome. Not only that, he has also helped pen quite a few guides for character creation for several different classes, aiding the gaming community for quite some time.

Which one of these isn't like the others?
>>
>>51142780
Median CR5 AC is 18 not 17. The mean is 17.6.

Don't you spend a round recharging every time?
>>
Who's your favorite Dragon Applicant?

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4420260/character-applications

>LG Human Knight Disciple Paladin // Unchained Monk(Scaled Fist)
>LN Tiefling Sorcerer // Unchained Monk(Scaled Fist)
>LN Kitsune Steelfist Commando Warlord // Elemental Asceticist Kineticist
>NG Dragon Royal // Draconic Hero Cavalier
>N Dragon Onslaught Kineticist // Draconic Exemplar
>LN Silver True Dragon // Battle Butler
>NE Dragon Mesmer // Draconic Exemplar
>CN Dragon Alchemist(Draconic Hero + Internal Alchemist) // Atomic Adept [first Chaotic entry: CN]
>CN Dragon Royalty(???) Draconic Disciple // Unchained-Monk(Scaled Fist) / Aberrant Aegis
>LN Human Fiendbound Marauder Warder // Aegis
>CE Human Unchained Rogue // Slayer. VMC Magus
>CN True Red Dragon // Incanter(SoP)
>CN Human Sorcerer // Shadow Assassin?
>NE Human Dragonrider(Harrier) // Cleric of Tiamat
>LN Kobold Alchemist // Unchained Hidden Blade Rogue
>LN Human Rough-Rider Myrmidon Fighter // Druid
>NG AND N Kobold Vigilante // Betrothed Avowed
>NG Human Paladin // Synth-Summoner
>CG Undine Undine-Adept Druid // Savage-Warrior Fighter
>CG Tiefling Unchained-Rogue // Sorrowsoul Bard
>N Titan Architect // Spell Sage Wizard
>N "Half Dragon Human" Two-Handed Fogjter Titan Mauler UCB
>>
File: B000ZK695U.01.lg[1].jpg (154KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
B000ZK695U.01.lg[1].jpg
154KB, 800x450px
>>51142681

I don't know if it's you schict, but you know what would be awesome?

A White Knight Chronicles class. In that game the knights were strong combatants who could call upon magical armor for periods of time.
>>
>>51142823
Hey!
I autism'd that list!
>>
>>51142823
I'm not on it yet, so I'll go with the synth.
>>
>>51142807
I guess its time to slow down. We've complimented Jolly so much, he's now beginning to get a swollen head
JollyXForrest slashfics when?
>>
>>51142823
I want the one with the six older sisters.
... I don't really care about him I just want his sisters.
>>
>>51142823
my god, there are that many who submitted Evil aligned characters? (we all know that CN is on the evil side)

I'm gunna have some smiting to do...
>>
>>51142807
Was this written by N. Jolly?

Honestly this is a pretty fuckin top tier list of devs.
>>
>>51142723
>Favorite
Ranger (3.5 version only), actually.

>Classes I really like
• Warlock
• Binder
• Focused Specialist Wizard
• Bard (3.5 version only)
• Totemist
• Sha'ir
• Warblade
• Crusader

Artificer /used/ to be on this list, and then I wrote a handbook for it and ruined it for myself forever.

>PrCs I really like
• Swiftblade (top-tier gish, balanced by losing 4 levels)
• Spell Sovereign
• Abjurant Champion
• Silver Key (worthless but glorious capstone)
• Dragonmark Heir
• Jade Phoenix Mage
• Master Thrower

>>51142749
For years I used paper character sheets, when I mostly played offline. For a while I used Myth Weavers. Nowadays I just use google docs, carefully built to look as pretty as I can make it while still being functional.

>>51142825
Neat! Could be cool to tie into something. "You have the ability to call armor" seems more like a really cheap item than anything else, though.

>>51142846
pls no.
>>
File: its like money.png (103KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
its like money.png
103KB, 500x262px
>>51142857
We were all told to write our own, and I thought mind properly encapsulates who I am, a hero.
>>
>>51142855

Might have something to do with the fact that The Queen has the title "True Heir of Tiamat." There's even a Cleric of Tiamat there. In a setting where Dragons FEAR to worship Tiamat.
>>
>>51142846
>Are you sure it's okay?
>Don't worry baby, I know what I'm doing
>... well....
>Don't you love me?
>How can you even ask that? You know how I feel!
>I'll insert it, alright?
>.... okay...
*And that's the story of how the damage spreadsheet gained an additional column*
>>
>>51142864
>pls no.
You right, We all know that the OTP is QanonXForrest
>>
>>51142823
I still need to actually put together a sheet for my CN dragon eldritch guardian fighter//draconic exemplar with an Int and Wis of 7 and a familiar smarter than she is.
>>
>>51142746
>207.6 DPR
>When the damage on the first round is half that, and the damage on the second round is 0.00 because you're refreshing maneuvers.

That's not what "Damage Per Round" means, you know.
>>
>>51142825
>>51142864
>Call armor

You mean

AN ARMORIST?
>>
>>51142882
Doesn't Jolly not use spreadsheets or math stuff? Is Forrest domming by forcing spreadsheets on him
>>
>>51142846
To be fair, I've been a hero for a while.
Also do not write slash fic about me, it will not make my life better.
>>
>>51142857
>Ssalarn
>Stack
>top tier by any stretch of the imagination

You're just looking for non-Forrest, non-DSP names to cling to.
>>
File: Solewd.jpg (91KB, 455x456px) Image search: [Google]
Solewd.jpg
91KB, 455x456px
>>51142882
>>
>>51142864
Well I wouldn't say that it's armor. After all you become a 15ish foot tall death machine when you're armor is their.

Though yeah, maybe an item/armor that casts Righteous Might on you X times per day would be a suitable replacement.
>>
>>51142910
Guys, can we not do this again
>>
>>51142864
You should port those over then, or at least port Binder and the PrCs!
>>
>>51142798
Wait. First, fuck my life for recognizing those references.

Second; don't torpedoes only HAVE a .5s refire rate, which is why they only fire one at a time?
>>
>>51142910
>Implying Ssalarn isn't a top tier dev.
>>
>>51142873
ehhh, maybe. But I'm pretty sure Granny Culdranth isn't going to do bad things.

...right?
>>
>>51142941
Ssalarn's a top-tier dev if your name is Ssalarn.
>>
>>51142941
Ssalarn designs for Ssalarn. Akasha is a mess that only makes sense if you optimize it in juuuust the right way (which, of course, is the way Ssalarn optimizes), and the rest of his material functions in much the same way.
>>
File: Rule63Gilgamesh.jpg (121KB, 596x670px) Image search: [Google]
Rule63Gilgamesh.jpg
121KB, 596x670px
>>51142839
fem gil is a cute
>>
>tfw someone made a great back story but the link to their char sheet is dead

Len Gleamglaze pls
>>
>>51142969
Was this someone in the meme games?
>>
>>51142969
Making good progress Molthunebro?
>>
>>51142944
Well she's very naughty.

>>51142937
Firing takes 0.5s during which time other launchers are locked out.
Following this, however, is a 1.5s global cooldown of all torpedo launchers (even those in the rear if you fired a front torp) you have installed.

Haste affects energy weapons, so it won't shorten anything here, either.

The most powerful buff to torpedo-boats in STO is therefore the mirror-universe Terran Ferrofluid Hydraulic Assembly Console: By lowering the GCD to 1s it is by and large the most significant single damage upgrade you can grant a ship with more than one launcher in a single facing.

It also obsoletes the Omega Launcher as the Omega cannot trigger your duty PWOs, unlike, say, the three individual shots of the Romulan Hyper-Plasma.

I'm going to go sit in a corner and be ashamed, now. You guys ask Forrest why Swarm, Well and Barrage have no feats or combos like every other pulse.
>>
>>51142864
>not immediately porting the abjurant champion

How sad.
>>
>>51142964
I disagree heavily on what you say about Akasha, but this is an argument I'll have on another day since it's pretty late at night and my arguing skills are shit when I am half asleep.

Here's a scrubbed PDF of the Battle Lord. A class designed by Ssalarn that is everything a true tier 3 martial should be without resorting to bullshit. The only realistic complaint I've seen about it is that it can remove status conditions in one round while similar spells take 3+rounds.
>>
>>51142864
>Sha'ir
>Artificer

You can kinda get the feel of both of these with the Occultist, actually. The former with an archetype, the latter with the class itself and Item Mastery feats.
>>
>>51142964
What a bullshit statement. I followed the playtest for Akashic Mysteries and he was super responsive to everyone. His system also got 5 star + seal of approval and Essentials list with Endzeitgeist. There's also tons of positive reviews, and I use it, so clearly Ssalarn isn't the only who knows how to use it.
>>
>>51142347
Really late, but...
Kinda have something going in my game,
30 base AC, 36 when going turtle-ish mode, uses a halberd one-handed through shield brace from Armor master's handbook.
>Really hard to hit
>Pretty fast
>Uses polearms and spears
>>
File: 1474948298538.jpg (688KB, 720x1302px) Image search: [Google]
1474948298538.jpg
688KB, 720x1302px
>how to quick-fix Armorist

>give 4+Int skill points
>Make Armor Training function as Fighter version (meaning they can get AMT)
>replace most of the arsenal tricks that grant Armor and Weapon special qualities with te following:

>Expanded Binding:
>Upon taking this arsenal trick, you learn to apply new weapon and armor special qualities to your bound and summoned equipment. You may choose from both the weapon and armor special qualities, as long as the combined enhancement values of the special qualities does not exceed +5. This limit increases by +1 at 5th level, and every five levels therafter. You may select this arsenal trick multiple times, each time you do you musht choose to learn a new set of armor and/or weapon qualities for your bound and summon equipment.

its only minor, but its a start
>>
Magus or Antipaladin for a Vampire BBEG?
>>
>>51143065
Skill points yes, but the arsenal tricks were the real point of failure. Expanded binding solves nothing: the whole problem is that instead of getting actual abilities, you're being allowed to purchase enchantments.

It's being "3.5 soulknife with harsher enchant limits but gifted blade progression" that sinks them.
>>
>>51143073
Why not Antipaladin/Oracle?

A Gestalt BBEG in a non-Gestalt game makes for quite the fight.
>>
>>51143073
Dirge Bard if you wanna go suave bram stoker, necro-vamp

Magus if you wanna go Dio

AntiPali if you wanna be particularly hostile to your players, because antipali vampires compliment every class features and race bonuses to the point of absurdity.
>>
>>51143065
Actually, as-written, Armorists Armor Training does work. All they're missing is the Fighter levels to take the feat.

They need better arsenal tricks, basically. Like half of them are just 'get quality on your list', and half of those remaining are things like 'get Heavy Armor Proficiency'. The rest are kinda neat. the Extradimensional Storage at armorist level is nice.

Speaking of.

WHY THE UNLOVING BUGGERFUCKS DOES ARMORIST NOT HAVE HEAVY ARMOR PROFICIENCY.

Also, make summoning shit as a swift action a goddamn arsenal trick for fucksake, not a hardlock class feature at level like fucking 15 or something, god fucking damnit.
>>
File: Queen Lua Culdranth.png (525KB, 1754x1240px) Image search: [Google]
Queen Lua Culdranth.png
525KB, 1754x1240px
>>51143010

>Well she's very naughty.

Well she's got a bong the size of a windmill and swaps out lovers every 5 years. But that hardly quantifies as evil. Chaotic maybe. but not evil .
>>
>>51142991

Down to 7 and a half I guess. Though I should be asleep.

>>51142986

Yah. I feel bad cause I am a noob to roll20 and it apparently doesnt tell you when you receive a private message.
>>
>>51142864
Heya, I've got some comments/questions on the Betrothed that I've been noticing.
>Insubstantial customization
I think this is straightforward by RAW but has a lot of fluff weirdness from a vague definition. Why can they pass through objects but still be hurt by nonmagic weapons?
One benefit is "Incorporeal creatures cannot fall or take falling damage"; since they don't get that, do they just fall into the ground, or is this selective intangibility for every item they touch?

On the other hand, I really like the fact it exists as a customization.

>Companions and Pact Sense
I'm not sure why Companions don't get this, it seems like a small thing and the omission of it leads to a lot of weirdness.
-Shadow partner can't see in the dark
-Otyugh partner doesn't have scent
Etc.

I'm also running into awkwardness by planning to use a race that has Darkvision with the Nightfall clause and a non-shadow pact, when my companion has no way of getting darkvision unless I 'waste' a clause to get it for both of us.

>Chameleon Skin
Nice but companions don't get stealth in-class by default. In fact, on the whole it seems weird that Avowed don't get stealth as a class skill when many of their clauses focus on deception and hiding.

>One One spawn
Do the spawn need precise shot? Also noticed that their attack bonus as written has to key off your STR or DEX, which is inconvenient for CHA SAD builds.
>>
>>51143113
it does, scroll to the top of the page, there's an envelop next to your name that turns [color] when you have a pm

>>51143107
It may be player submitted, but I do like Marduk. I think he and her will be a bit of a riot
>>
>>51143107
I was saying naughty in the "THEY'RE THE ASSFUCK TWINS!" way, not in a "The Joker isn't on Santa's nice list" way.
>>
>>51143143

The pink envelope that has 344 from all the replies to threads I have ever looked at?

Is there a way to limit that to private messages?
>>
File: 1471344255387.jpg (233KB, 1024x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1471344255387.jpg
233KB, 1024x1498px
>>51143082
>: the whole problem is that instead of getting actual abilities, you're being allowed to purchase enchantments.
I see what you're saying. So in other words instead of forcing you to pay for them, they should just be straight up available out of the gate? Or am I misreading something?

>>51143105
Yeah, even though the handbooks help with that a tad, they do need better stuff and faster access to increased equipment summoning. Also it is stupid they have to pay for Heavy Armor

So, with that in mind, what are some arsenal tricks you guys would like to exist? I may just make this a full project in the morning.
>>
>>51143160
under settings I think

Mine doesn't give me those alerts and that sounds like something I would have gone to the effort of turning off.
>>
>>51142823
Kinda wanna see "running away is tactical genius" in action. That or the silver dragon as some kind of personal trainer.
>>
>>51143043
Yeah, he was the only DSP writer willing to rewrite a class (3 fuckin times) in response to feedback.
>>
>>51143191
That's the Joestar secret technique!
>>
>>51143185

I will have to look for it. I had been ignoring it because it never went away no matter how many I dismissed.
>>
>>51143166
They're flat-out NON-abilities. Empty levels. The list should never have been that restrictive, that narrow, and NEVER, EVER should every other level involve unlocking one of those.

The moment someone suggested
>Empathic
>Add menacing (+1), cunning (+1), cruel (+1), and courageous (+1) to the list of special qualities you may add to your bound and summoned weapons.

as a class ability, they should've been hit upside the head over and over and over until their thinking stops.
>>
>>51143208
Well apparently the kineticist/exemplar knows of it.
>>
Letting the player use point buy for their cohort

Y / N
>>
>>51143260
N
use the elite array like proper NPCs.
they'll optimize plenty from there anyways.
>>
>>51143246
Gotcha, so all special qualities available out of the gate, is what your saying
>>
>>51143260
Up to the Gm
I say sure, cohorts in my games are usually a players back up. But I do see where it can be abused, so that's up to you.
>>
>>51143246
>Add brilliant energy (+4) to the list of special qualities you may add to your summoned and bound weapons. Add ghost touch (+1, +3) to the list of special qualities you may add to your summoned and bound weapons, armor, and shields.
Aw yeah Brilliant Energy
>>
>>51143202
>who is Forrest
>>
>>51143296
Leonard McCoy's actor, dude.
>>
File: laughing ghosts.gif (981KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
laughing ghosts.gif
981KB, 500x375px
Assuming I only have access to 1pp and /maybe/ Avowed, how do I play as a ghost, or as much like one as possible?

Things I need obviously include sources of incorporeality and poltergeist shenanigans.
>>
>>51143296
>>51143306
>/pfg/ never recovered from the shock of these two lines
>>
>>51143369
Aspirant avowed, perhaps? Phasing through objects with feats and form modifications.
>>
>>51143369

Twilight Sage Arcanist.
>>
>>51143296
I jumped ship on DSP about when they started publishing monster classes. I'm not as familiar with Forrest's works.

If I understand correctly Forrest also quit DSP? As I understand anyone with real talent left since other publishers offered better contracts.
>>
>>51143369
Undead Aspirant will be coming up soon.

>>51143141
Insubstantial is mostly for balance concerns. I think we can include the fall damage immunity without any big deal, but I'll raise it to Forrest. Pact Sense is getting added to Companions now. Stealth is, at least, a bonus class skill for the Fey and Shadow ones, and gaining an extra class skill isn't too difficult. Still, we don't see a particularly strong thematic tie between the inherent concept and stealth, and they should (not necessarily DO, but our design goal is to) have clauses that support basically every concept. That doesn't mean we're going to give them every class skill. Old One's Spawn make their attacks as though YOU were making an Aether Pulse attack, so if you have Precise Shot, they do too. If you have Spirited Swordsmanship, so do they. Cha is fine.
>>
Which Avowed would be best suited as the leader of a coven of witches trying to summon their Occult Patron into the mortal plane with the power of a Ley Line?
>>
>>51143279
More along the lines of "if you get that ability then it should be auto-added to all things you summon, rather than just being added to the list of potential options".
>>
>>51143455
Otyugh Betrothed
>>
>>51143471
>if you get that ability then it should be auto-added to all things you summon
Okay, that's a bit of a problem since weapon cannot have an effective enhancement bonus higher than +10 Further , some enhancements just don't work, like Keen on blunt weapons.
>>
>>51143400
That's not accurate.
Ssalarn in my opinion doesn't have actual talent but more importantly was extremely slow on getting Akashic Mysteries out the door as what was effectively a solo project, and Arcforge simply didn't function along the same lines as the rest of DSP's worth ethic, with Ssalarn disappearing for weeks at a time, suddenly showing back up and buffing/nerfing things at-random, and then disappearing again.
Forrest had to take a leave of absence from DSP (but still does some assisting anyway) due to the fact that working on errata is soul-draining and doesn't pay the bills for college or rent; hence, she got a job in the real meatspace world as well as opened a Patreon in order to satisfy her urge to create new content that wasn't stuck under the DSP label (which would require the bosses at DSP to agree with her vision, which as any team will tell you isn't always practical to try).
PsyBomb has been away... visiting family in Taiwan or something like that? He's not around much, that's for sure.
ErrantX is still getting surgery and fixes on himself, so he can't exactly write.
Gareth, Keledrath, and Elric are all still working on smaller projects like Lords of the <Something> and various Divergent Paths things.
>>
>>51143503
Betrothed is in Avowed 2, right?

I'll have to look that over.
>>
>>51143503

pls no bully the trashpupper
>>
>>51143507
At the very least, it shouldn't cost you a whole class feature; Soulknives get their effects added-on with a trait, and Maguses/Warpriests/Occultists/Fighters get literally the whole list to choose from. The idea that an Armorist has to PAY THEIR CLASS FEATURES for what they specialize in when other classes (including the FIGHTER, for fuck's sake) get the freedom of choice is just ludicrous from a design standpoint.
>>
How would you do a race against time in an encounter?

Say your PCs know that the cult in the ruins they're exploring are trying to summon some horrible fiend into the world and the party needs to try and stop it, but you (as the DM) also need to make it so it's possible for them to fail to stop the summoning, either partially or entirely.

How would you set it up?
>>
>>51143584
Give them a set number of turns to get things done in. Keep close track of time.
>>
>>51143593
Should they know how long they have from the get-go, or should it be a hidden timer until they actually figure out what's going on?
>>
>>51143521
>Slow on getting AM out the door
>The book was literally ready to be published months before Path of War: E play test ended
>It got pushed so far back by DSP that he started playtesting monsters for an Akashic Bestiary and Akashic Races
>Path of War: E finally got published
>DSP finally started converting AM to a PDF
>This is somehow Ssalarn's fault.

As for Arcforge it actually spent that entire time as a pitch, DSP never bought it. Because it was without a publisher attached Ssalarn put it as his lowest priority. Also his house was literally hit by a hurricane and he spent a lot of time repairing it.

Ssalarn actually works very quickly as evidenced by his work in Liber Influxus, Luchador, and Vigilantes of Skyborne.
>>
What stats does an Avowed even care about? Aiming for a Fiend Pact if that changes things.
>>
>>51143455
Fiend, Old One, Shadow, Court Fey, Elemental, or Divine default pact makes the most sense.
>>
>>51143619
>The book was literally ready to be published months before Path of War: E play test ended
>And yet it's still shit, unbalanced, and not a good port

>As for Arcforge it actually spent that entire time as a pitch, DSP never bought it. Because it was without a publisher attached Ssalarn put it as his lowest priority.
So basically, Ssalarn only writes things if he's paid upfront for it? Man, seems shitty. Like, I understand wanting money, but in this industry if you're making something GOOD it basically has to be a hobby, you can't make a living off of it unless you work for a big company, which DSP ain't.
>>
>>51143639
Charisma if you're taking abilities that ask for a DC, Dexterity if you're using ranged, Strength if you're going melee, and Constitution because everything needs that. So a maximum of 3 stats (CHA/CON/Attack Stat), a minimum of 0 (All you're doing is taking the 24 hour no-DC clauses).
>>
>>51143639
>>51143661
Embodiment of Aether and Spirited Swordsmanship can make you SAD for offenses, Altered Life and Unnatural Resilience can let you dump Con.
>>
>>51143435
>If you have Spirited Swordsmanship, so do they. Cha is fine.

Spirited Swordsmanship doesn't apply to unshaped Aether Pulse or Aether Blow, so it doesn't really do anything for them.
The precise shot thing makes sense, but still odd that it becomes a recommended feat for Old Ones Betrothed now when neither of their shapes use it.

>I think we can include the fall damage immunity without any big deal, but I'll raise it to Forrest.
It's not immune to fall damage, it's the ability to not fall.
Because otherwise you just plunge 5 feet down into the earth when you make yourself intangible to it, or the same for any other object you're standing on that you just want to maybe sink /slightly/ into.

Generally it's part of a larger issue that how it works is oddly defined: the only benefit you get is being able to pass through objects, but some of the other benefits of incorporeality are direct common sense things included either as a result of that (Immune to nonmagic weapons), or to make it work in the first place (Able to not fall).

>gaining an extra class skill isn't too difficult
It's much easier for the Avowed than for the companion. But, a +3 isn't a big deal in the big picture so I'm just splitting hairs here.
>>
>>51143558
It really is a poorly designed class, I was so underwhelmed / disappointed by it I got sad when I saw it was getting a PsyArm styled archetype, because I have this feeling it won't fix the class as a whole and I Want more ways to do what PsyArm does.
>>
>>51143653
I'm thinking Fiend or Shadow.

Now I need to figure out what the Patron will manifest as.
>>
>>51143507
Well... technically an Armorist's bound weapon can cap out at +11.

That's an arsenal trick I don't think is bad. Because you're good enough at what you do to break the rules.
>>
>>51143654
People more qualified than some derp on 4chan disagree with you on Akashic Mystery's quality.

Would you prioritize a pitch to a company that treats you like shit over fixing your house, working your day job, or doing work for publishers that actually treat you with respect? If so then go work for DSP yourself, they'd love you.
>>
>>51143677
I'm honestly feeling more and more like redoing Armorist myself.
>>
>>51142659
You realize that in SoP, you use your class level for things like bypassing SR or concentration, right?
>>
>>51143676
>Spirited Swordsmanship doesn't apply to unshaped Aether Pulse or Aether Blow, so it doesn't really do anything for them.
Hgh, whoops. My bad there. We'll fix that.

>Because otherwise you just plunge 5 feet down into the earth when you make yourself intangible to it, or the same for any other object you're standing on that you just want to maybe sink /slightly/ into.
... Welp. Uh, yeah, we'll get on it.
>>
Here's one thing that's always bothered me. There's this really cheap magic quiver in 3e/PF with slightly expanded space. It holds 60 arrows, 18 javelins, and 6 bows, and I looked it up on the srd and pfsrd to be sure. Here's the part I don't get: the bow part is described as the largest. For reference as I recall it, arrows are about three feet long, bows are close to six, and javelins are eight. So why would the bow part be obviously the largest?
>>
>>51143843
My guess is because Javelins are straight?

Longbows aren't 8 ft, but they are pretty tall and they have the big curve.
>>
>>51143843
Yeah, because people often forget that you're not supposed to store a bow strung.

So it's wider.
>>
>>51143843
>arrows are about three feet long
Really? Maybe it's just because I'm used to them being shorter in vidya, but isn't that kind of lengthy for a projectile?

I mean three feet long is, what, the same size as a D&D longsword?
>>
>>51143935
Most arrows in vidya belong to short bows. Long bows have longer arrows.

Long bows are also fuckin huge.
>>
>>51143935
I just looked it up and it seems like the average runs between 24 and 30 inches, but I was taught three feet. I guess because longbows are six feet, and some of these sport bows are as small as four or five, but I don't know much about it because I'm not an enthusiast.
>>
>>51143973
This. Longbows were incredibly unwieldy. You aimed'em about 45 degrees up and you and your 50 friends hoped for the best far away.

These weapons are fragile, finicky, do NOT handle getting wet well at ALL, require extremely high strength used at very suboptimal angles for the human body, and take a long time to learn to use properly; NOT because their mastery is that much more rewarding, but because not only do they have the general requirements of their own stance and motions, but because by their very design they don't aim straight and slice their shots.

They replaced Slings because they were marginally easier to teach to large groups, and required WAY less spacing between soldiers compared to slinger squads.

For hunting, you use a self-bow (short), which is what the grand majority of composites were in other regions (soggy Europe like the UK is one of the worst places for animal-glues and tendon construction), and crossbows may seem peasantish, but they were the weapon of the seasoned professional in the most expensive mercenary armies.
>>
>>51144004
Some English Longbow arrows recovered were as long as 33 inches.
>>
>>51144034
Humankind's development of personal weaponry hasn't as often been about hurting more as it has been about making the hurting easier.

One expert guy is all well and good, but then you've got 20 scrublets who can each do the same job because their weapon is so much simpler to use.
>>
>>51143107

What's The Queen's Breath Weapon?
>>
>>51144094
All.
>>
Speaking of Breath Weapons.

To whomever it may concern, Dragon Royalty/Princess has had a minor change.

They can now spend a move action to reduce an existing cooldown on their breath weapon by a turn.

So if you wanna focus on your breath weapon, you've got a means to get it back faster if you've got the Moves free. Or the Standards if you're that antsy for it.
>>
>>51142895
Victorious Recovery recharges all necessary maneuvers for the person to do this twice, and that's either 4 or 6 enemies dead. It's 3rd round and after DPR drops.
>>
File: IMG_1104.png (1MB, 1103x1115px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1104.png
1MB, 1103x1115px
What are the most interesting regions where you could find a scholar or academic in Avistan, Garund, or Near Casmaron, and why?
>>
>>51143584
I would do a skill encounter. Something like a fixed number of success skill checks to succeed and if they get 3 failures something bad happens. It would incorporate skill checks, RP and give you that sense of urgency without saying something like, in 5 turns you all die!

You can make it harder by saying one success per skill per character. So like the thief could reliably make 6 tumble checks in a row. But he can only use one of the successes to count towards helping the party. He would have to use different skills or other party members would have to succeed at the checks.
>>
How do I build a CR21 Eldritch Knight/wizard/gunslinger final boss? Specifically are there guidelines when you get to add CR to a character with certain special abilities or should I just take other CR20+ creatures as guidelines?
>>
>>51145102
1) Don't build enemies with PC rules
2) CR is a guideline
3) Don't build enemies with PC rules - this is important so I'm saying it twice.
>>
>>51142823
The Undine....yeah...totally the Undine.
>>
>>51145507

The Undine is a man.
>>
>>51144852
>I would do a skill encounter. Something like a fixed number of success skill checks to succeed and if they get 3 failures something bad happens.

>I would do 4e bullshit

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51144701

Osirionologist in Osirion, daring Chelaxian aristocratic gentleman on safari in the Mwangi Expanse
>>
>>51145544
I know, I made her.
>>
>>51145548
The fundamental idea isn't bad. It's just that 4th fucked it up so badly that people keep getting triggered by it.
>>
>>51145676

Him, anon. It's a him.
>>
>>51145683
It doesn't matter, anon, they are sperging because you brought up 4e, not because the idea is good or bad.
I use skill challenges in my 4e game fairly often, usually because the players have set it up for me without any real problems, and I add/subtract rules from them as I see fit, like with the collapsing bridge
>>
>>51145726
It doesn't really matter I don't see her getting in, fun to make though.
>>
I've got high hopes for SoM, it seems pretty neat do far. Depending on how it turns out I may run a game that's focused around it and partial initiators.
>>
File: 1468295821351.png (199KB, 1200x1332px) Image search: [Google]
1468295821351.png
199KB, 1200x1332px
Well lads, I just finished a long-ass session of Dwarf Fortress edited to play Humans (an above-surface settlement with underground reserved for mining, basements/cellars, dungeons and sewers.)

With all that !!FUN!! still fresh in my mind, has anyone ever had a fierce desire to play a campaign or at least character focused on non-combat utility, such as logging or crafting? What's the most you've gone full-autism to describe something your character created?

Is anyone in Molthune Knights built around production? Surely an Artisan would be right at home in that campaign.
>>
>>51146306
I made an author.

And then I wrote a book.
>>
Why does Silver Crane have so many melee only maneuvers when bows are a discipline weapon?
>>
If we include 3e material, Fire and Cold damage have ways to bypass resistances and immunities via Searing Fire and its cold counterpart, does acid and electricity have no such luck when it comes to resistances and immunities?
>>
>>51145102
This >>51145275
Last game I was in, which was a bit sandboxy but still had a plot, the GM was so paranoid about the notorious minmaxer in the game(who actually just wanted to mess around this time) that all his 'mooks' were basically L2-L3 PCs backed up with around six golems with rust wind capabilities.

Suffice to say, we collectively decided to just go "Fuck that shit"

>>51146306
One of my past characters was a gestalted Wizard/Artificer who was extremely focused on crafting magical shit, not only was this extremely utility, it also meant being able to craft all the magical items to just tell an encounter to fuck off
>>
>>51146525
Yes.

A [caustic] spell is so [potent] that it ignores the resistance to [acid] of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with immunity to [acid] still take half damage. This feat can be applied only to spells with the [acid] descriptor. Creatures with the [air] subtype take double damage from a [caustic] spell. Creatures affected by a [caustic] spell are still entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A [caustic] spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.
>>
>>51146603
Nothing for electricity?
>>
Paizo is starting their Livestream in approximately 3 1/2 hours.

But what is really important is that at 2PM PST they will be doing stuff related to Starfinder. Please watch and critique, since I'll have to catch the YouTube rebroadcast.
>>
>>51146627
I literally just reskinned Searing Spell for acid damage.
>>
>>51146648
Hm, I suppose I will have to ask my GM about that

Then again, arcane spellcasters in general are known for researching shit so it may be possible
>>
File: True Lawful.jpg (212KB, 1000x1554px) Image search: [Google]
True Lawful.jpg
212KB, 1000x1554px
Does Weird Word, the Soundstriker Bard spell, deal 6d8 damage to a single target at level 6? Or does it deal 1d8 over the course of 6 turns while the performance is maintained?
>>
>>51146670
Since Piercing Cold is just Searing Spell reskinned for cold damage I don't see what the problem would be.

>>51146708
>Weird Words (Su): At 6th level the bard can start a performance that is always a standard action to speak up to one word per 4 bard levels laden with sonic energy. Each word deals 4d6 points of sonic damage as a ranged touch attack with a range of 30 feet. The bard adds his charisma modifier on damage rolls with weird words. Multiple words that strike the same target stack into a single powerful attack, applying energy resistance and bonuses on damage rolls only once. The bard can target all words at the same or different targets, but he unleashes all words simultaneously. Each word costs 1 round of bardic performance. This performance replaces suggestion.

At level 6 you can speak one word as a standard action, increasing to two words at level 8, three at level 12, . four at level 16, and five at level 20. Each word is a ranged touch attack with a range of 30 feet that deals 4d6 points of sonic damage. You can choose the target for each word, and multiple words on a single target count as a single attack.
>>
>>51146306

>tfw you find a volcano with coal and marble

CAVES OF STEEL
>>
>>51143260
Depends on the game and what Pb the players themselves are using, but short answer is No.

Honest long answer? I'd use the elite NPC array, BUT you have 5 PB extra to throw around on top. The NPC array is 15 PB, and I usually assume 25 PB for PCs, so 20 for cohorts seems fair.
>>
>>51146708
It's not a spell, it's a bardic performance.

It also depends if you're using the errata or not.

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9t4f

>Change the text of weird words to the following “At 6th level the bard can start a performance that is always a standard action to speak up to one word per 4 bard levels laden with sonic energy. Each word deals 4d6 points of sonic damage as a ranged touch attack with a range of 30 feet. The bard adds his charisma modifier on damage rolls with weird words. Multiple words that strike the same target stack into a single powerful attack, applying energy resistance and bonuses on damage rolls only once. The bard can target all words at the same or different targets, but he unleashes all words simultaneously. Each word costs 1 round of bardic performance.” This change will be reflected in future errata.

Otherwise, ask your GM if you can hit people with 6d8+cha.
>>
Any idea if I can make a striker with insane alpha damage if I went with Mystic going into Landsknecht?

It's gestalt so some flexibility is allowed, I preferably want it Str based for damage though
>>
File: 1469806520451.png (77KB, 198x315px) Image search: [Google]
1469806520451.png
77KB, 198x315px
How do I into natural attack barbarian?
GM is running a non-human campaign, I figure I would go Catfolk and take the obvious options but I was wondering if there's anything that I could miss while building it.
Books allowed are core, APG, Race Guide, Ultimate Combat/Magic.

Any alternative suggestions for character ideas would also be welcomed. The party is me, a kobold paladin, and a halfling wizard.
>>
>>51147076
>Catfolk
I thought Tengu were the go to for natural attack builds?
>>
Alright lads, show of hands: who thinks they made it into the top 7.5 for Molthune Knights?
>>
>>51147076
>>51147120
Ragebred, anons, ragebred.

With beast totem they'll have five natural attacks.
>>
So why aren't you playing a Lamia Commoner?

http://blackmarches.wikidot.com/lamia
>>
>>51147076
Look up ways to get pounce, also, do remember the Improved Natural Attack feat to increase the die size of all your attacks by one size category
>>
>>51147158

I know I would have, if I applied!
>>
How do you build a proper Gestalt character for a solo campaign? I know it should be Martial/Arcane or Martial/Divine, but does anyone know any fun builds that would also be useful?

I rolled three eighteens, a couple of fourteens and a twelve.
>>
>>51147217

Is Path of War and Avowed material allowed?

The greatest "solo" character I can think of that would be a lot of fun is a spear-using Warder (ZweiSent) || Avowed (Elemental).

Avowed provides all the out-of-combat utility you might want or need, while ZweiSent is a heckin' killer martial.
>>
>>51147158
Definitely not me.
>>
>>51147233
Oh, yeah, Path of War is okayed but Avowed isn't.

I'll check it out, though, and try to convince my DM.
>>
>>51147217
>three eighteens and two fourteens

Just take a concept and run with it, you can succeed in any kind of build with that kind of stats

Just remember these tips, respect action economy, dont be a moron who picks double spellcasters like Wizard + Archivist or Oracle + Sorcerer and end up not having the correct idea on what to do because of all the options but only being able to choose one

Ideally, one half should be mostly passive stuff and the other should be active stuff and these two should synergize
>>
File: CmwBCqGWEAAiIhR.jpg (65KB, 1199x831px) Image search: [Google]
CmwBCqGWEAAiIhR.jpg
65KB, 1199x831px
>>51147120
I was looking at the pounce feat catfolk get for having claws myself.
>>51147175
I might put the few bucks down to get that supplement, the GM is restricting us more by way of wanting physical books for reference. One of his other players is just fucking awful about using online material, takes forever.
>>51147205
Hence Catfolk, easy access to claws, Aspect of the Beast early on, then I move onto rage powers and Nat. Weapon feats until level 10 for the pounce. Also 50 foot charges. Going to try and see if I can roll Adopted/Tusked for traits by arguing catfolk fangs.
>>
File: 1443404209960.jpg (380KB, 667x667px) Image search: [Google]
1443404209960.jpg
380KB, 667x667px
>tfw you make edits to your character sheet because you remember things that make your character significantly less shit mechanically, but then you realize it probably won't matter because if optimization is being evaluated in the RotJR applications you're going to be rejected regardless
>>
>>51146980
Anyone?
>>
>>51147272

>Tusked
>Smilodon catfolk

Do it, anon.
>>
>>51147276
I know that feel anon.
>>
File: 1458836352931.png (425KB, 841x776px) Image search: [Google]
1458836352931.png
425KB, 841x776px
>>51147276

Six players are getting picked, anon.

Six.

You can be the most unoptimized character in the party and you'll still be able to pull your weight in roleplay or specific fields if you play your cards right.

What characters are built really well for RotJR? Which have "interesting" builds you want to see in action?
>>
File: C9Hn8Eccrb-6.png (16KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
C9Hn8Eccrb-6.png
16KB, 300x250px
>>51141888
Have any of you tried running a campaign in a third party setting?? What was your experience with it??
>>
>>51147391

They tend to be more fun and interesting than Golarion, especially if the DM builds it up around player character backstories.
>>
>>51147338
I asked, he shot it down because we don't have the books.
I'll find a way.
>>
>>51147076
Beast totem turns any barbarian into a natural attack barbarian. Skin-walker makes it crazy
>>
Has there been a leak of the Qadira book yet?
>>
>>51147525

NO
>>
>>51147530
Thank you.
>>
File: 1473248990622.png (119KB, 342x298px)
1473248990622.png
119KB, 342x298px
>>51147538
>>
Which should I buy on Ranger (Skirmisher|Battle Scout)?

Belt of Tumbling
Quick Runners Shirt (fits thematically)
Boots of the Cat (seems a good choice)
Hand of the Mage
Cloak of Resistance +1 (probably the best choice but I have instincts against being typical)

1479gp to spend
>>
Is stabbing spells a decent trait for a paladin/synth?
>>
>>51147518
True enough. Would you say it'd be better than to focus my regular feats on more mundane stuff and let my rage powers fill in for me? Because the catfolk feats net you essentially the same bonuses but without needing to rage. That and removing the ac penalty on charging/pouncing.
>>
>>51147382
Interesting builds? Probably too many to list just a few. I'm not really an expert on optimization though, so that doesn't really help things.
>>
>>51147637
If you want to be catfolk, the do the catfolk stuff for flavor. I'm just saying you don't have to be a catfolk if you don't want to.
>>
File: booze.gif (132KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
booze.gif
132KB, 500x281px
So I'm dipping two levels in Barbarian for a bit of rage. Want to try and mitigate the fact I'll only have a few rounds (possibly without taking Extra Rage) so I was thinking of going Drunken Rager or Drunken Brute. Which is more appropriate?

Rager nets me drink as a standard for rage rounds I can also burn as a speed boost while Brute lets me drink as a move action for a free round of rage at the cost of being nauseated for a number of rounds afterwards equal to how much I drank.

I feel like Brute's probably the better way to go, but if I take Potion Glutton I'd probably be better taking Rager since then I don't get nauseated.
>>
Hey /pfg/, I wanna make an alchemically enhanced superhuman warrior to battle my party when they attack my setting's Alchemical League, what class/race/monster would you guys recommend I use?

I want some horrible cross between a Culexis assassin and RULES OF NATURE, in that he should be extremely fast, deadly enough to be a mortal threat to a group of 10th level adventurers, as durable as a tank, and capable of absurd acrobatic feats. Likely fights primarily with a pair of blades, but 20's era tech, guns, and alchemical gadgets of any sort are all on the table. Drugs, mutagens and poisons should definitely fit in somewhere. I guess I could do a team of post-human creatures such as this, considering action economy, but I've been also been considering giving 'boss' monsters more actions as a way to let them compete.

Anyway, that's not important. My options are very broad, mechanically speaking. I can use any 3pp material I want (cuz I'm the fukin GM, kiddo). I'm open to using monster-exclusive abilities, because the Alchemical League in question uses grafts from powerful monsters to enhance soldiers for the ruling governmental body.

TL;DR DM needs drug fueled psychotic alchemical ninja monster, what do?
>>
>>51147616
Cloak of Resistance +1
Quick Runner's Shirt (Pre-Errata)
Hand of the Mage
Boots of the Cat
Belt of Tubling
Quick Runner's Shirt (Post-Errata)
>>
>>51147710
Definitely brute.
>>
>>51147692
It's less I don't want to and more the limits the GM is placing for what I can play. I'm also considering other ideas beyond barbarian, it's just the one that sits the best in my head at the moment. They errata'd Scarred Witch Doctor so my orc idea before this one went out the window.
>>
>>51147753
Really? Why? Rager seems more beneficial (well, provided I make that standard a swift with Potion Glutton).
>>
>>51147717
Chymist.

Literally tailor made for it.
>>
>>51147382
Well despite the claims earlier that the only women were spunky 20 year olds, I intend to play as a sort of team mom.

Much to everyone's disappointment I don't mean that in the "coddle and breastfeed" sort of way, but in the "if you mess around and sneak out at night I'm locking the doors and making you sleep on the porch" fashion that still obviously only wants the best for everyone.

As for builds, I haven't honestly looked into many, but I'm interested in seeing how Osanna is played due to her decidedly non-combatant role. I noticed a few others that piqued my curiosity but that's the one I want to see the most, regardless of optimization.
>>
>>51147805

>Much to everyone's disappointment

I'm willing to bet that's somebody's fetish anyway.
>>
>>51147805

Breastfeed and coddle is old hat anyway, stern party rock is the new hotness.

Which character is yours?
>>
>>51147826
You're my fetish, anon!
No-one's as disappointing as you!
>>
>>51146465
Because I touch myself at night.
>>
>>51147717
Dervish Defender Warder, with Alchemist VMC. Swap in Veiled Moon to get Stealth as CS.
>>
File: 081.gif (411KB, 699x710px) Image search: [Google]
081.gif
411KB, 699x710px
>>51147876
>>
>>51147805

I think the earlier claims weren't in character personality, but the women literally weren't older than their twenties.

Which is a valid observation, personally; being an older woman opens all sorts of archetypes or backstories that range from career women to mothers and everything in-between. Same with older men, but they tend not to have as much wild variation as women.
>>
>>51147866
The "so mysterious" Shoanti that is likely going to run off into the woods and smash her head against a tree for a few hours when she realizes she's forever going to be known as "that quiet woman who suddenly tore into those goblins at the festival" before she can even get over her accent.

Otherwise known as Shoarn.
>>
>>51143521
Ssalarn said multiple times that he'd been finished with AM for over a year before DSP finally published it. Would you keep working on projects for a company that can't get anything through layout?
>>
>>51147924
>The women weren't older than their twenties

Don't we have several who are past that, and at least one in their 50's? Or are we doing the "age relative to lifespan" bollocks?
>>
Gonna be playing a Two-Handed Fighter pretty soon. What feats should I be taking, besides the obvious Power Attack?
>>
>>51147886
Well that's just rude.

Seriously, it's just pissing me off. 11/16 SC Strikes are melee only and one can only be used on a charge.
>>
>>51147966
Unhindering shield

Probably one of the archetypes we drool over. I forgot their names.

Make sure you bring a bow, +1 adaptave is fine, so that you can still fight at range.
>>
>>51143654
>>And yet it's still shit, unbalanced, and not a good port
You're joking, right? AM is far more balanced than PoW or PoW:E, and a huge improvement over Incarnum.
>>
>>51146631
Have they announced a release date for Starfinder?
>>
>>51147076
Beast Totem normally for pounce, though the claws may overlap with cat folk depending on your GM.
>>
whatre the status on the pfg games boys

any of them seem worth applying to at this stage?
>>
>>51148025
Next year.
>>
File: 613611.jpg (190KB, 580x477px) Image search: [Google]
613611.jpg
190KB, 580x477px
>>51148025

August of this year, according to the website.
>>
>>51147391
Cerulean Seas was a cool 3pp setting for aquatic adventures. We haven't used many others.
>>
>>51147964

I don't think we do, anon.

And age relative to lifespan is absolutely important, otherwise you'd be calling a 110 year old Elf a "'mature old lady" when that's the age they're going out to mingle.
>>
>>51147999
>Probably one of the archetypes we drool over. I forgot their names.
Thunderstriker? Noticed that. Doesn't stack with Two-Handed Fighter though, and I'd rather have Overhand Chop anyhow. Though in that case it'd make even more sense to get Unhindering Shield and Shield Focus.

> Make sure you bring a bow, +1 adaptave is fine, so that you can still fight at range.
That's the plan.
>>
>>51148081

>Not wanting to bully single elves by calling them old ladies
>>
>>51148062

Molthune Knights is being reviewed by the DM, no point in applying.

Rise of the Jade Regent is closing for review this Sunday, if you've got a concept I recommend crunching it tonight.

Dragons is in the end-game, you've got time to think but not as much as you'd hope.
>>
>>51144142
That requires a bit more specification. Is she able to use any, or is it the five-combo like tiamat (matching her heads), or is it Untyped damage or "all" as in "Acid AND Bludgeoning AND Cold AND Electrical AND Fire AND Force AND Negative AND Piercing AND Positive AND Slashing AND Sonic" using as normal the most damaging one when measured against any given target's resistances, immunities and vulnerabilities?
>>
>>51147391
Rhine is a stormpunk campaign setting, which is apparently steampunk with Norse influences instead of Victorian. It has really cool ideas, but terrible editing and bland mechanics.
>>
>>51148097

If we weren't going by proportionate age than the short-lived races would be calling humans old hags by their 20s (which they would, medieval girls were expected to marry and have kids by 18) and nobody could touch a kobold without getting Chris Hansen on your ass.
>>
>>51147191
I don't know what sort of class I'd take.
>>
>>51147966
Furious Focus. The nice thing about THF is that there aren't many feats you have to have since it's a naturally superior fighting style.
>>
>>51147191
Because I want to be able to climb ladders
>>
>>51148109
Rhune, not Rhine.
>>
>>51147778

I've actually wanted to play this myself, so will consider.

>>51147890

Also will be considered, though I have yet to use VMC.
>>
>>51148081
Anon, even if that's the case, it's entirely possible for a 134 year old elf (the maximum for "intuitive" classes if you roll) to have gone and had a few half elf kids. Hell, a lot of races have "adulthood" at weird ages anyway, and it all feels up to interpretation. A 140 year old elf is also ABSOLUTELY "an old lady" to the spunky 19 year old human.
>>
>>51148132

Well, yeah, proportionate age makes sense, but I'm just saying that we have the opportunity to bully elves, and we should take it.
>>
>>51148150
They've got arms, right?
>>
>>51148091
na. It was elderich gaurdian, mutation warrior, or lore warden. Those are the good ones.

Also: for pure mechanical purposes: you want a 18-20/x2 weapon, and one handed if possible. You still get extra damage when two handing it, and you can still use it while grappled or carrying a dead friend or while handing from a rope.

It's just a good idea. You will lose like 2 damage per hit max.
>>
>>51148073
Id imagine at the 50th anniversary of gencon
>>
>>51148174
bitch, I've got 7 strength
>>
>>51148201

That's your problem, innit?
>>
>>51148181

Makes sense. Suitably auspicious circumstances for launching a new product.
>>
>>51148049
Yeah, the only real question as Catfolk barb. is "Do I want these from feats or from rage powers?"
If you guys have any suggestions for an orc character I'm all ears as well. We have a venerable halfing caster and a kobold paladin face so I was figuring on being the striker with maybe some wisdom focus.
>>
>>51148253
Half-orc does natural attack well. They've got a trait they can take for a free bite, plus Beast Totem for claws and pounce, Helm of the Mammoth Lords for a gore attack, and basically any other natural attack you can stack on there.
>>
From the PFSRD:
Five Things Almost Everyone Knows About Undead

The following are a few facts that are considered common knowledge among civilized peoples.

1. Most undead were once living. Knowing details about the phase of existence that preceded a creature's undeath is often invaluable in determining its motives.
2. Holy water damages undead as though it were acid. Distributed by goodly religious orders the world over, holy water is the only line of defense against undead for many commoners.
3. Undead are invariably evil, as are the means to create such beings.
4. Undead are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy.
5. Undead are immune to numerous magical effects, including mind-affecting effects and abilities that affect a creature's physical constitution.

What the fuck is this 3rd one?

We all know of good aligned ghosts, neutral undead, etc. Who wrote this stupid fucking rule?

Is this just because "muh pharasma"?
>>
>>51148620
in some cases it's less about being evil and more about being made of evil
>>
>>51148620
I think the idea is that it's "common knowledge", but not necessarily true. It's just the sort of things that any layman could easily assume without having to make a Knowledge check, though they might still not even recognize something as undead unless it's obvious.
>>
>>51148620
I don't believe Paizo has actually published any good undead.
>>
>>51148671
Carrion Crown, good aligned railroading ghost in book 1.
>>
>>51148671
The ghost lady from Carrion Crown 1 was CG, at least.
>>
>>51148693
>>51148679

Fookin Pazio.
>>
>>51148620
Why do commoners know about positive and negative energy?
>>
>>51148168
Not according to the aging stat mods.
That 150 year old elf is little better than the bright-eyed impressionable neophyte just coming out of his training.

Likewise, that 80 year old elf does NOT yet have the body of an adult. At best you're screwing a ten year old. Please have a seat right over there.
>>
>>51148767
They wouldn't, nor would they know about mind effecting abilities not working.

But Paizo gonna Paizo.
>>
>>51148767

Because the setting is high magic when it's convenient for them.
>>
>>51148767
They would probably think of it as "holy" and "unholy" or something, not "positive and negative energy".
>>
Be honest with me, lads.

Paizo has had a decade to flesh out their setting, to give it life and flavor and all the things that make a world memorable.

Have they succeeded? Can you claim that Golarion is a good setting? And if not, why? What caused them to succeed or fail, and what does that say about them?
>>
>>51148863
They tried at every turn to make it shit, but its alright.
>>
>>51148863
Paizo failed because they're commitment-phobes. They're afraid to truly set anything in stone, in case they want to come back to it later, which means things in Golarion work /this/ way, unless they don't.

What happened to Aroden? Where's Nex? Are the Pathfinder Society really Neutral, or is there something more sinister going on? Even for minor things they undercut it, sometimes almost immediately. The Iridian Fold is only something men can do, EXCEPT THAT'S WRONG, DON'T WORRY!

They're so afraid of making a choice that someone might not like that they've made no choices that someone can like.
>>
>>51148818
>implying that's how it is in every setting and every interpretation of elves
>implying I want to screw something that looks like a 10 year old
>implying I said I wanted to fuck the elf

Age is handled poorly by this shitty game in general, but having ages be ALWAYS 100% proportional with average lifespan is retarded, anon.
>>
File: pathfinder character creation.png (732KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder character creation.png
732KB, 1024x1024px
>>51148937
>>51148818
>>51148168
>>51148081
>>51147964
>>
File: kono the Dio da.gif (466KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
kono the Dio da.gif
466KB, 500x281px
>>51148863
>Can you claim that Golarion is a good setting?
No, it has good parts, but as a whole its not great

>And if not, why?
Too many cooks, lore and designers being constantly shifted and moved in and out of the setting, no thought into detail and logistics, and attempting to make it an amusement park setting without understanding the individual componants that make up each part of the park, while also failing to address and make any proper internal consistency.

Really, the setting is too scatterbrained, lazily put together, and unfocused in its identity, and the identities they tried to push for the places in the setting where either poorly thought out or wasted potential.

Further, compare the setting and worldbuilding done in the ISWG to the recent stuff, and you will notice that there is a distinct difference in narrative and style, and not exactly a good difference either.

And in the end you get a setting with no soul to it.
>>
>>51148767
It is probably more along the lines of "our priest's healing powers would harm undead and whatever heals those ghosts at the cementary would probably fuck us up".
>>
>>51148345
Is taking iterative attacks worth the hit to making my claws secondaries regardless of race? I can grab a cestus or dip a level in martial artist for unarmed strikes to keep both my claws available and multiattack to ease up penalties to BAB -2 but I'm concerned about the 1/2 Str.
>>
>>51148863
Not really, but then again, I don't really think any setting is more than decent. I think Paizo have succeeded at laying the groundwork for any given group to have a lot of fun with their setting, but at the same time I think they're overbuilding.

There's way too many world-ending juggernauts, way too much Lovecraftian shit for it to be a place for heroes, and way too much high fantasy shit for it to be a good cosmic horror setting. It's tedious, but then you could make a similar complaint about Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms--just that those settings tend to have powerful forces for good that sit on their asses rather than having no forces for good apparent.

The only really unique flaw in Paizo's setting design is their tonal inconsistency. They can't help but try and pander to their faux-liberal fanboys, and in so doing compromise large swaths of what gave Golarion flavor. Everything good shares their 21st-century Northwest US values, anything that disagrees with any facet is neutral at best. While at the same time they try to have places in their world that allow slavery but are nonevil. If they wanted to make Blue Rose, they should have made Blue Rose, and leave all the pulp heroic fantasy elements to a different campaign setting.
>>
>>51148922
>Paizo failed because they're commitment-phobes.
I think they've been saving developing Golarion too much so they'd still have things to write once they ran out of ideas. Their Adventurer's Guide hardcover that is coming out as part of their core product line is a Golarion book, so it seems like a fair guess. Since they won't do new subsystems, they need Golarion as their only original IP to flesh out their product line.
>>
>tfw waiting for DHB to be rejected from RotJR & Molthune Knights
It's gonna be good seeing depressed depressed homebrewer

There is no way he made it into the top 7 even. I give Molthune GM kudos for giving the fucker hope.
>>
>>51149039
The amount of effort and time you spend concerned with other people is...

...strange.
>>
fuck off witch hunter, no one likes you, you are cancer
>>
>>51149057
strange? i was going to go with pathetic
>>
>>51149065
I like him.
>>
>>51149077
no you dont
>>
>>51148982
The big advantage to natural attacks is that you get to make all of the primary natural attacks at full BAB, so you usually don't want to give that up unless the benefit is really worth it. Would the unarmed strikes or cestus attacks more than make up for the fact that you're trading two full BAB, full STR attacks for two 1/2 BAB, 1/2 STR ones?
>>
>>51149077
Thats because you are him
>>
>>51149039
Now, now, anon.
We all know that you just want to spoil and comfort him with your dick.
>>
>>51143808
What you do is give a fly speed with a "must stay within 1 square of a surface or fall" clause and a "can't go more than 5 foot deep into a solid object" clause.

I think both are included in some of the low-level quasi-incorporeal monsters in 3.5's Monster Manual V, if you want some inspiration.
>>
>>51149092
Precisely why I'm asking. If I had to choose, I'd much rather keep the primaries because two attacks hitting hard will always be more useful over whiffs and one attack out of them dinking a target.
>>
>>51148922

Don't forget Jessica Price bugging the other writers into removing the "Bearded/Unbearded" class system from Taldor.

Because it's "old and outdated and male-oriented."
>>
New thread:
>>51149150
>>51149150
>>51149150
>>
>>51148950
Long lived races are retarded in portrayal anyway, and "proportional age" only works if you're looking at it from the physical. Even if an 80 year old elf looks like a 10 year old in human years would probably be more like 12-13, that elf has been alive for eighty fucking years. Unless he wasted all his time on magitek elfchan masturbating, he's still got eight decades under his belt and has had more time to see and do things than the average human peasant probably has years in his life.
>>
>>51149198
>magitek elfchan masturbating
Elves are all NEETs until age 80, got it.
>>
>>51149226
>elves have developed their own computers and an elf version of Starcraft
>after learning the basics of how to live, they participate in tournaments that are broadcast all over the world to other elves
>they do so until they near adulthood, at which point they retire and have to learn "practical skills"

sounds good to me
>>
>>51149161
Does...does she not understand how conflict works? Isn't the point of Taldor that it's outdated, stagnating, and more thoroughly medieval than other areas of the world?

I've met that sort of person before, actually. They're so busy being RIGHT about everything that they don't even realize how to build a narrative. One stellar example was some dumb fucker who, when I asked what the conflict was in his idea, protested "oh no there's no violence". He didn't even understand what a story *was*, just assumed that it was something that happened when you got enough butt-buddies together to circlejerk over how RIGHT they were.
>>
>>51148767
They don't necessarily know it in technical terms, but effectively "everyone knows" that healing hurts them.
>>
>>51148937
Maybe, but that's how elves mechanically are in this system.

>But I can make them different in another setting
Solves NOTHING of the problem.
"You can always houserule it" does not retroactively remove the issue. It's cough syrup, not a vaccine
>>
>>51149426
Doesn't matter if it looks like a 10 year old child if it has 80 years of life. I don't mean that in the "I can fuck it" sense, but in the "it has lived for 80 years and has had that long to formulate thoughts and opinions". A spring-chicken of a "young adult" elf will most likely seem old to the average human, even if they look barely legal.

Not that anyone actually thinks about that, or seems to run in that way. Long lived races are just shittily handled and this is just autism at this point.
>>
First and foremost, thank you all for apping. I was not expecting so many nor was I expecting so much enthusiasm for such a game. A lot of you put a ton of effort and if I could run 5 games I would take anyone willing. I have chosen the following six players in no particular order. You will all receive an invite.

Krim - Sir Emeric Silva, Owl Knight
RidiculousFalcon - Sir Adalbern Sigurdsson, The Noble Bear
James C. - Elio Scutari
Siobhan - Lady Liviana Montanari of Molthune, Sphere Skald
Rosa D. - Lady Kaylen Rubedo, the Red Sting
akael - Lady Nveryll 'Attor'

Thank you all again for apping.
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.