[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 35

File: dystopian bgg.png (983KB, 937x924px) Image search: [Google]
dystopian bgg.png
983KB, 937x924px
Last thread:
>>51045320

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Too tired to come up with questions; just talk about your favorites, wishlists, what's been played lately, news, whatever.
>>
File: God.png (232KB, 455x707px) Image search: [Google]
God.png
232KB, 455x707px
>>51101993
First post claimed by /kdm/, undisputed KS king.
All hail the cock monsters!
>>
File: power-grid-3.jpg (341KB, 1598x864px) Image search: [Google]
power-grid-3.jpg
341KB, 1598x864px
Played Power Grid for the first time
Stayed in first the whole game then just barely lost in the end because I don't know how to play
>>
File: 1462815890838.jpg (31KB, 365x352px) Image search: [Google]
1462815890838.jpg
31KB, 365x352px
>>51102814
>Drinks that close to the board
>>
>>51102913
Not my picture
>>
>>51102814
That map looks oddly like Ticket to Ride... I know it isn't but at first glance.
>>
>>51103082
They're more different than alike
>>
asking again because of bump limit last thread, what are /bgg/'s opinion on suitable replacements for Monopoly? I have seen someone mention Power Grid a few threads ago but I feel that may be a bit too heavy for my non-gamer friends

>>51101722
I prefer Shadows of Malice over Mage Knight but thanks for the laugh
>>
Are there "hardcore" board games that don't require a college course to learn or take 100 hours to finish?
It seems all the most popular (and fun) ones get labeled as casual or entry-level.
Chess is a relatively short game with simple rules but I wouldn't call it entry-level.
>>
>>51103882
>Are there "hardcore" board games that don't require a college course to learn or take 100 hours to finish?
>is there an instance of "a" which does not meet any of the defining qualities of "a"
>>
>>51103882
Chess is an abstract board game, which gives it a huge advantage as far as being easy to teach/learn.

The closest thing I know of that seems to fit what you're talking about is Battlecon. It's fairly easy to learn, as far as "hardcore" board games go. It simulates a 2d fighting game, so it's usually played 1v1, but there are other possible configurations. Like in chess, almost all information is available to both players and there is almost no RNG. The main challenge comes from mastering your character and adapting to your opponent's character, and then reading their moves. In this sense it is easy to learn, difficult to master. There are many different characters with totally different abilities and play styles, meaning it's got huge replayability. Each game can take as little as 20-30 minutes once you know what you're doing (1 minute rounds, 15 round limit, short maintenance between rounds). Plan for at least an hour when you're starting out though.

I haven't really seen much about it on /tg/, but it doesn't seem like you could call it entry level or casual. There are communities online that have Battlecon tournaments. There are several expansions that allow you to customize your experience quite extensively. And, of course, it's a blast to play.
>>
Sup fellow fa/tg/uys!

Im here with a request; im in hopes of receiving some recommendations.

Here's the deal, im late on some christmas gifts for my cousins. We're really close and recently I've been able to get them hype for good ol board games! I want to get them at least 2 games.

Heres what to keep in mind: they're big fans of biblios, above and below, shadow hunters, dixit, dungeon fighters, code names, and carcassonne but the one game that rises above all in their eyes has got to be deception: murder in hong kong.

So any suggestions which may be similar to those games would be perfect!

They currently own epigo, talisman and risk. I have over 50 games by now so they've been exposed to quite a bit, but i really wanna get them something special that i don't already have. Ill try to post my collection via a list through bgg or maybe a pic later.

Im super appreciative of you guys even just spending the time to read this! Thank you!! If you do post a reply to help me out then id be ever more grateful! Cheers!
>>
Anyone know a decent place to find scans of the Space Hulk:Death Angel expansions? I love the game, but I'm not paying the going rate nowadays for the expansions.

I tried to get the scans from TTS, but I have no idea what I am doing.
>>
>>51104313
Deception is probably the best game in it's genre(s), but other similar games include Mysterium (probably the closest even though there's no traitor), and the entirety of the "social deduction" genre of which there are now many many games.
>>
>>51101993
>played
Adrenaline. The weapons and arena-style map both scream Quake, but the gameplay is slow and deliberating. That doesn't necessarily mean it's boring, or that it can't be played fast and loose, but you won't win that way. I actually got into it despite going in skeptical.
Epic. Fuck all the haters this game is good. Did a quick 2p draft and play between games
Cairo Corridor. 2p Nestorgame abstract that I love
Fuji Flush. This game can be taught to anyone under any circumstances, even in a screaming bar of drunken football fans. 5-player might be the sweet spot for a short game
>>
Any team games that aren't just red&blue army vs green&yellow army, but more like Captain Sonar where each team member is doing a different thing? Preferably no party games.
>>
>>51107304
Space Cadets: Dice Duel, Quartermaster General are the only ones I know.

Games that have asymmetric teams: StarCraft (an FFA but can be played team vs team), 1775: rebelion and 1812: The Invasion of Canada have asymmetric team members (but same roles).

Ladies & Gentlemen for a party game.
>>
>>51103788
Settlers of Catan is good
>>
>>51107304
Not a board game, but I never feel bad recommending Artemis on /tg/.
>>
>>51107304
The resistance? Either with expansions or Avalon. It's not exactly army versus army but it is a team game.
>>
File: CompA.jpg (30KB, 514x337px) Image search: [Google]
CompA.jpg
30KB, 514x337px
DIY
>>
File: Z95.jpg (54KB, 514x337px) Image search: [Google]
Z95.jpg
54KB, 514x337px
>>51111016
DIY part 2
>>
>>51111016
>>51111034
i dig it
>>
What are some classic must-own 3-4 player board games?

Games that are not well known to the general public (not stratego, risk) but are extremely rewarding

I know this question probably gets asked a lot so I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask
>>
>>51111100
This is exactly the right place to ask.

You say classic, are you mostly interested in old stuff, or modern classics too?
>>
>>51111065
thank god i was scared you won't dig it
>>
>>51111016
Papercraft?
>>
>>51111100
in the same vain i was wondering what are really good oop games i should look out for (not ffg)

preferably the games that have not exploded in price yet. but i dont mind those being included.
>>
>>51112018
>out of print
>good
>unexploded price
Pick two.
>>
File: pic3230845.jpg (209KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pic3230845.jpg
209KB, 640x480px
>>51103788
When people ask this, it's because they know Monopoly is bad but they don't want to ask a dumb question like, "What games are good?" "Monopoly but better" exists, but you'd be better off playing a good game that's not trying to be like Monopoly at all.

You brought up Power Grid, and whether there's something like it for non-gamers. Power Grid The Card Game just came out, which does away with the map. I haven't played yet, but this probably does away with half of the complexity. More importantly, most of the mathyness is eliminated, because totalling up how many cities and connections you can afford for the next two-three turns is no longer a factor.

If you like mathy, maybe the long-awaited Ponzi Scheme is for you. It reviewed really well, some saying one of the best Economic games ever, with one possible downside being that the game is about drowning in interest payments which people may not like. Lots of wheeling and dealing

Maybe you want something classic though. Acquire was just reprinted and I think the plastic pieces are really cool (you may have to touch-up the board for visibility though, pic related). It's just got that classic wealth-building feel that warms you up.

Feel free to clarify with the type of mechanics/feel you're looking for if you want more suggestions
>>
>>51111100
>11111
>00
Witnessed
>>
>>51111173
Both would be great, older ones are nice as long as they aren't too obscure/expensive
>>
>>51112639
Kemet, mythic egyptian risk but better in every conceivable way, very aggressive,very good, almost beyond reproach even around here.

Mare Nostrum, period agnostic ancient Mediterranean empire building game, awesome hybrid of trade, military, and culture as victory paths, VERY strong player agency.

Probably the two I'd most consider modern classics that are huge trade-up's from Risk and it's ilk.
>>
>>51107596
lol, no it's not

>>51112263
like I said at the end of the previous thread, it's more that I have a particular hole that I need to fill in my collection. over time I've also seen suggestions like Alhambra, Las Vegas, Fools Gold, For Sale! and Stockpile as "Monopoly replacements" from other posters here but I'm not sold on Alhambra fulfilling that at all when I watched a friend play it and the descriptions I've read on Las Vegas, Fools Gold and Stockpile on BGG didn't really convince me, I might have to look up gameplay videos on those. For Sale plays a bit too short for my liking

auction/bidding is preferred mechanic, I'm not interested in card games for this particular request so Power Grid The Card Game is out
>>
>>51114218
sorry I meant Black Gold, not Fools Gold
>>
I have looked extensively at the board game market and mechanics for the past few weeks and I've narrowed it down to several choices:

1. Pandemic (which I will most likely take)
2. Santorini (which looks great but not now)
3. Dead of Winter (mentioning it because it's one of rare games that's really pretty through and through) - too expensive and text based for purchase for someone on a budget
4. Carcasonne (seems a bit too random but fun, really nice design)
5. Neuroshima Hex (would be my 2nd choice but it seems that 3.0 edition comes with less features than previous ones and they throw in armies as exp packs), still, looks really good, good theme etc.
6. Legacy (Risk and Pandemic) - do not have a consistent group for these. Would 3-4 players be enough?
>>
>>51114821
Maybe first play pandemic before taking legacy, and even then having a group that plays consistently keeps the tempo up. So if you have 3-4 people who also switch in and out its maybe not a good idea
>>
>>51114870
Yeah, original game + expansions seems to offer far more
>>
>>51114218
>auction/bidding is preferred mechanic, I'm not interested in card games for this particular request so Power Grid The Card Game is out

You might look at Puerto Rico and see if it might scratch your itch.
>>
>>51114218
Colosseum is probably the game for you. You build your own Colosseum, you get money for putting on shows, you bid over performers to add to your acts, and you even roll dice and move the Emperor and a few other special pieces, hoping they land in your Colosseum and give you extra points.

I accidentally just realized Colosseum is the perfect Monopoly replacement. The new edition is either out now or later this year.
>>
>>51114821
all versions of Neuroshima Hex have extra armies as expacs, the only difference between the 3.0 Z-Man and 3.0 Portal edition is that the Z-Man edition includes a fifth army which isn't sold separately. there was copies for a reasonable price on Amazon but that no longer appears to be the case
>>
>>51115513
Well it's not too expensive, and seems fair enough. Hopefully we will get a STALKER themed game in the future, and I wonder what Pathologic board game is like.
>>
>>51102814
Wow, really pretty design.
>>
What are your favourite innovations regarding board games?
>>
Do you guys just print your pnp games on regular letter paper?

I want to try the one deck dungeon pnp, but I've never done one before.
>>
>>51104313
kemet, risk legacy
>>
Not exactly a boardgame, but thoughts on Fluxx mechanics?
>>
Is elder sign fun or is it just yahtzee
>>
>>51116706
it's mostly just yahtzee

>>51116257
What mechanics? Random things happening until someone randomly wins? Kill me.
>>
File: 1415639295541084233.jpg (1MB, 1280x916px) Image search: [Google]
1415639295541084233.jpg
1MB, 1280x916px
As far as Monopoly replacements go, this one works far better than it should - it condenses the basic components of Monopoly into something that won't take 5 hours to play.

Yes, I'm serious.
>>
>>51113287
Thanks!
>>
>>51116706

Just get the mobile version
>>
Isle of Skye or Takenoko?
I'm looking for something that is simple enough to teach but also holds some complexity once learned the basics.
>>
>>51115208
if I want a tableau builder, I'd get something with a more appealing theme like The Bloody Inn which is already on my wishlist

>>51115470
this looks good, shame that the secondary market price is ridiculous. I decided to go with Lords of Vegas (not sure why I said Las Vegas previously) after re-researching it so we'll see how that goes
>>
Gonna pick up Captain Sonar and Mare Nostrum in my next order. Any $10-15 game recommendations for free S&H?
>>
>>51118226
If you're ordering off amazon space hulk death angel is a good choice
>>
>>51117822
Isle of Skye
Takenoko is pretty shallow.
>>
>>51116034
I use 110lb paper for when I'm doing a pnp first run (basically index cards). If it's a game I really like I'll put it on matte sticker paper (preferably whole sheets, even better if you can get it done at a print shop) and then affix/cut on chipboard I pick up at Hobby Lobby. If it's something I want really thick/heavy duty, I'll affix to craft foam and then hose it down with varnish spray (you can get 8.5x11 sheets in 2-5mm depending how heavy you want it. Haven't done the foam often but debating doing it when I finally print out the stuff for a HotAC campaign. Rulebooks, I'd say 80lb would be pretty solid and wouldn't need to worry about it.

>>51116706
It's definitely fun, but the mobile version really does the game a lot more justice, it's theme is all in reading flavor text on the card, but the app adds sound effects and music that up the immersion. It's not very challenging after a while though so getting the expansion bosses helps. If you go for the physical version it really needs either of the last two expansions to feel immersive.

>>51118416
This, but I wouldn't call Takenoko shallow, just more firmly family weight than strategy game.
>>
>>51118283
How hard would it be to get light gamers to play that?
Read the description on bgg but I feel like only 2 people in my group would really go for it.
>>
>>51118226
Kenjin
>>
>>51118521
Doesn't matter, if you don't like it scalp it in a year, it's somewhat popular going OOP forever soon.
>>
Gonna buy zombicide black plague in a couple of weeks, looks pretty fun and the kind of game my group could enjoy, even if we play rarely.
>>
>>51119206
Zombicide is kinda lame mechanically to be honest, mostly just chucking dice for an hour without a lot of interesting choices to make.
But black plague is definetly the way to go if you're still into it though, much better than the original.
>>
>>51119187
True, also apparently it's a good solitaire game so that should be nice
>>
>>51118521
It really isn't a difficult game fundamentally. It's brutal in difficulty, punishes you a lot, and is a little more complex under the hood than you would think. Luck plays fair amount into the game and sometimes things just don't go your way but when you do win it feels like you've really earned it. If your group gets discouraged easily or doesn't like to be tested every step of the way then this game may not be for them. But if not then they may like it
>>
>>51119275
I know it is kinda a dice chucking game, but it looks that a game could take like one hour which is a plus right now, as my other games for the group are too heavy (mage knight, caverna, war of the ring, Imperial assault) or too light (carcassone, ascension, boss monster, munchkin).

For whatever reason, my group doesn't like Pathfinder card game even though I love it. Wish more games were like it.
>>
>>51119379
>Boss Monster
>Pathfinder adventure card game
How are both of these games? I've been thinking about getting both of them
>>
I found an eBay seller that is selling shadows of malice for only $27? Do you guys think it's legit or a counterfit?
>>
>>51118514
Damn, you go all out. I'm going to throw some 110lb paper in my printer and try that out. Thanks.
>>
>>51119466
Pathfinder does some really cool things, but undermines them a lot by using dice resolution for everything, so strategy tends to Boil down to padding your rolls with resources appropriate to how critical the roll is and then praying to the dice gods, but there's some nonzero quantity of fun still to be had. Recommend the app over the physical version.

Boss monster is. . . I don't know, I probably need to play it more, but my instinct is that it's just a little too random, and might have some balance problems with spells giving you a little too much ability to screw over other players. But that's just after a couple plays and I wasn't super invested to begin with.
>>
>>51119466
I have the first pathfinder card game, I really love it, its the best game Ive played solo so far and when you find people that are into it its pretty great. The more people like pnp rpgs the more they like the game for whatever reason, I would have thought it would be the other way.

Boss monster is the total opposite of that, I don't really like it but it is the most asked light game to play in my table other than munchkin. The only advice I can give with it is to not buy any expansion, as other players have told me part of the fun is that it is quick, adding the expansion makes it an hour+ game which takes away the charm.
>>
>>51116034
Sorry but what are pnp games?
>>
>>51119609
Print and play, making up the game components yourself.
>>
>>51119609
pen and paper, so D&D and the like, thats what I ment in that post, not the one you would use here that is print and play.
>>
File: pic1694681.jpg (133KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
pic1694681.jpg
133KB, 800x533px
>>51119527
I don't print and play often, but when I do, I want it to last; besides it's another project to do when people cancel on game night, like making a map for my brother for a game I've never played, or updating those wife/kids rec charts. I'm currently looking at crafting storage, based on pic related, which seems like it'll take a while. Find the catches I want to use, how I want to craft the panels (looks like he used screws from the inside), what size I want to build, stencils for paint. Then the insert building, which I'm sure could take weeks.

Alternatively if you've got skills in paint/gimp/whatever The Game Crafter has done alright by me when I wanted a board printed for Elder Sign.
>>
>>51119655
>>51119609
wait, sorry, wrong post, disregard my answer.
>>
>>51119665
I'm going to do pnp of kingdom death, 300$ for a game is way to much.

When I do proxies like that I just use old magic cards and print them on normal paper, then put the copy infront of the car in the sleeve.

Sometimes you can reduce the cost by a lot if you know how to treat cheap materials.
>>
Whats the difference between pandemic legacy amd regular pandemic?
>>
>>51119775
I don't have the game but legacy games change each time you play them and after you finish the campaign then you are done with that copy of the game.
>>
>>51119704
Yeah that'd work easy too, and I am a big proponent of saving money whenever you can. Any game I buy is obsessed over reviews, playtested, and then I won't pay anywhere near retail, and any pnp/storage/game bling project is the same. I've got a huge binder of half drawn plans, that just don't seem important enough to waste the cash on. Really it's more just another outlet for me to go overboard on, and a lot healthier than when I was drinking in my 20s, or gambling in my teens.
>>
>>51119775
You make permanent changes to the board and cards as you play.
>>
What is an euro type board game and what in contrast is the american one?
>>
>>51119831
Euros are typically more strategic, while ameritrash has a lot of rng and player elimination. That doesn't mean that ameritrash games aren't enjoyable.
>>
>>51119816
>>51119828
Oh wow. That doesn't sound like something I would like.
>>
>>51119831
euro are games that you make decisions that don't directly affect your opponents. For example you take option A then no other player can take that option for the turn.

Other competitive games are just normal competitive games where option A is more likely "fuck over one player"
>>
>>51119831
from what i gather a lot of eurogames are mostly about non direct player interactions thru taking board control; stuff like trading, economies, and resource management
>>
>>51119825
True, good thing you got out of it. Another thing I like about pnp is that hombrewing is so much easier. In fact I will create a lot of stuff for that project I'm doing because I think the game is way too pussyfied for what it really tries to be.
>>
so what are the best 40k based board games?
>>
Anyone played Android: Mainframe? How is it depth wise?
>>
File: Blood Rage.jpg (527KB, 1300x629px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Rage.jpg
527KB, 1300x629px
Hey bros, I read up some reviews and ended up buying Blood Rage for like 50 bucks. Anyone got some highlights to share about their experiences? Given that me and a bunch of friends will be trying it for the first time, are we in for a bad time? We get into a few errors last time we played Super Dungeon Explore but I've taught a number of them how to draft MtG. Plus I played 7 Wonders.
>>
>>51119880
You should read some reviews about the game and make a decision after that. It's always been the norm to keep your board games in good conditions and legacy games took that rule and flipped it on its head. This game has been #1 on boardgamegeek for a while now and has been dominating 2015 and 2016.
>>
>>51119997
>Anyone got some highlights to share about their experiences?
They guy who played the unfun uninteractive Loki strat won two of the three games I was in, the third being won by someone gumming up the Loki strat through the use of a KS exclusive mini.
You got had, son.
>>
>>51119942
>game is way too pussyfied for what it really tries to be
I looked at the original kickstarter and thought "cool a totally ai rpg....... shit I need to start a new 3.5 campaign"

>>51119831
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame
Huh, wikipedia finally got around to changing the page from German style board games; anyhow link related.
>>
Also wanted to ask about experiences with Vampire Prince of the City

please share
>>
>>51119997
All I've heard about are good things, doesn't even looks that rule heavy. I would watch a tutorial on how to play for good measure before playing it tho.
>>
>>51119997
How is super dungeon explore?
>>
>>51120005
Ill check it out. Whats the difference between red and blue?
>>
>>51120037
I am running currently 2 D&D campaigns and 1 horror on my own system, so what I want from a tabletop game is to give me what I cannot have on a rpg game. Sexual themes, torture, powerlessness, regret, sadness, real events that would make you feel uncomfortable but that WOULD happen in a world of total despair. I mean, I would never rape a character in my games, not even in horror even though I have had players do it to npcs so I want a game that goes balls to the wall hardcore on it if it really is about horror.
>>
>>51120151
Nothing. Pick your favorite color.
>>
>>51120132
I found it complicated but fun. I was playing the dungeon master and was instructing them wrong so they had quite a few edges over me and also I messed up how monsters spawn. It does become a little repetitive on the dice rolls though. It all comes down to how atmospheric your dm is and how much you love the aesthetic I think.

If you want to ever finish it some time in the foreseeable century, three players + dungeon master seems optimal.
>>
>>51120132
>>51120228
I was playing Forgotten King mind you, kinda wish I was playing 2nd E with the dragon and everything.
>>
>>51120174
Gotcha, I was thinking of pussified in terms of mechanics/immersion more than thematics/horror; respect on running 2 campaigns at once, I can barely keep 1 together at a time.

>>51120151
Fun, cute, not quite there yet on tuning (been a long time since I've played FK but I have the original box and it hits the table every 2 months or so) it can landslide depending what gear drops. One of the dungeon crawls that's not a much a racing game as say Descent, and the console (DM) can really go all out on players and still lose. Minis are really nicely done, and not too terribly hard to paint if that's your thing.

>>51120228
Also what this anon said about somewhat repetitive at times and you don't wanna do this with more than 3 heroes.
>>
>>51119969
Forbidden Stars
>>
>>51118416
>>51118514
So is Isle of Skye. anything else under the category I'm looking for? I mean something entry level for "casuls" but deep enough to satisfy me.
>>
>>51120005
Anyone know why Pademic Legacy has been #1 on bgg for so long? Is it that good?
>>
is zee gay?
would he be my qt bf
>>
>>51120544
BGG is good as a resource, but - like IMDb or Letterboxd - its ratings and charts are mostly useless once you hit a certain level of depth in the medium. Sounds pretentious, but it's unfortunately true
>>
>>51120552
He has a wife. He is the best member of Dice Tower though.
>>
Just watched Shut up and Sit down's Kemet review, looks like a bunch of good ideas. Shame I don't care about the theme.
>>
>>51120725
>He has a wife
damn
>He is the best member of Dice Tower though.
word tho
>>
>>51120544
BGG rankings don't fall off over time, so once you get past the weighting a game stays rated that high until people start shitting on it. I find it more useful to take Whitley's suggestion and use the # of ratings chart more than geekrating.

>>51120699
I wouldn't call them useless, though geekbuddy ratings tend to have more value to individual uses, and "balance ratings" and kickstarter ratings are a cancer on the site.
>>
>>51120726
>Likes SU&SD
>Desn't like methic egypt/stargate deathmatch
How does someone have such terrible taste? Did your parents abuse you?
>>
>>51121083
calm down sperg
>>
>>51120453
yes. but you will probably have double the amount of points if your understanding is much better.
>>
File: 61JeFo5pWVL._SL1159_.jpg (101KB, 850x1159px) Image search: [Google]
61JeFo5pWVL._SL1159_.jpg
101KB, 850x1159px
Have someone played Coup? I kinda want a social game for my group and Sheriff of nothingam looks amazing, but the fact that is only for 4 people is a dealbreaker.
>>
>>51121250
. . . Sheriff plays five.
Coup's great though, as is mafia de cuba.
>>
>>51121250
Coup is a cool game, not a huge fan of Sheriff of Nottingham.
>>51121265
Mafia de Cuba is great, but out of the two groups I normally play with, the one with females usually ruins it by not paying attention
>>
>>51119866
>while ameritrash has a lot of rng and player elimination
>rng - completely taking player agency out of the game such that the only reason you're there is because the dice won't move themselves.
>player elimination - "We figured you'd enjoy the game so much that at some point we'd reward you by forcing you to stop playing it"
>That doesn't mean that ameritrash games aren't enjoyable

Your own statement would disagree with you.
>>
>>51121596
No game is safe from idiots.
If you don't want to play, don't play.
This sounds obvious because it is.
>>
File: Friendly Local Game Store.webm (3MB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
Friendly Local Game Store.webm
3MB, 533x300px
>>
>>51120005
>make decisions based on reviews that are designed to drive the industry rather than your own tastes
you're either a shill or just a cunt, either way i really hope no one takes this shit advice
>>
>>51121949
damn
>>
>>51121949
did they bankrupt or did they have insurance?
>>
>>51122024
They had insurance and are talking to them now. Ding and dent sale soon if you're in Alabama I think it is?
>>
>>51121949
Well at least the servo survived. It was probably named Eustace. #servofacts
>>
>>51120552
>>51120725
wait I'm pretty sure it's just a gf
>>
>>51122034
how much for the cr-v?
>>
>>>/his/2201541
>>
Hey guys, I don't frequent here too often so sorry if you guys have gotten this question a million times.

I'm looking for some 1v1 type of board/card games and I've researched some options online, but there's so many choices that I wanted your guys' opinions to help out.

I already bought and tried out Star Realms and I'm liking it so far and might buy the expansions.
>>
>>51123232
Stronghold 2nd ed is awesome if you're looking for only 1v1. very euro, very tactical, gets really fun if you keep playing with the same person and develop a micro-meta
>>
>>51123232
see
>>51104277
>>
File: pic1762410.jpg (5MB, 2076x3593px) Image search: [Google]
pic1762410.jpg
5MB, 2076x3593px
What does /tg/ think of Mascarade?

I'm totally in love with the theme, but only had a chance to play once, and with 4 people.

It was alright, hoping it's better with more numbers.
>>
File: PaxBalticaCoalition.jpg (775KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
PaxBalticaCoalition.jpg
775KB, 1024x768px
>>51123232
There are a bunch of really great 1v1 wargames out there. I would recommend Pax Baltica, one of my favourites, a block wargame with a whole lot of nations, which uses blocks to simulate Fog-of-War, but it is near unplayable if you do not have a sheet of plexiglass to even out the board. Sadly this goes for a lot of wargames
>>
>>51124245
>unplayable if you do not have something not included with the game
really bro?
>>
>>51124301
Mid-range map boards, as you would find in a block wargame, tend to peak and valley and not lie flat very well. You can break them in by putting them between to large flat surfaces, but it's honestly easier just to keep a sheet of plexiglass around.
>>
>>51124321
oh so you don't mean they're necessary for gameplay, just for aesthetic purposes?
>>
>>51124331
All he is saying is that sometimes the boards to some games don't lie flat, so having a big clear sheet of plastic will help keep it smooth and flat so pieces of the game don't move around.
>>
>>51124331
i misinterpreted and thought you meant the plexiglass somehow contributed to the simulated fog of war, my bad
>>
File: IMG_0459.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0459.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>51124331
>>
>>51124364
ya, my bad, i get what you're saying now
>>
>>51121949
Why are American buildings so flimsy? A car ran into my local pizza place and turned into a mush while the wall needed little more than a new paint job and new windows.
>>
>>51124364
Get on my level
>>
File: level 7 doom.jpg (60KB, 492x246px) Image search: [Google]
level 7 doom.jpg
60KB, 492x246px
Which one should I get friendos? Or is there another game you'd rather recommend?
>>
>>51124408
We value convenience and savings over durability, mostly.
>>
>>51124417
Level 7.
>>
>>51124408
Cheap to build, cheap to repair, easy to add or remove from. Especially if you live in tornado land, your building regardless of material will get fucked up so might as well make it something you can replace.
>>
>>51119831
Eurogames are for numales. Muritrash - for normal peoples.
>>
>>51120544
Simple - BGG is full of sjw-morons with no taste.
>>
I need an honest opinion on Warhammer: Diskwars and Tyrants of the underdark.
>>
>>51119997
It's an expensive drafting game with big figs that ends up being useless because refusing to fight is overall just as good a strategy (if not better) than actually fighting.
It's drafting but in each of the three phases, there is a couple of cards that are vastly more powerful than the other, so the person who got them at turn one has an obvious advantage.
>>
>>51124486
How is it cheap if you have to repair or modify it "all the time"?
>>
>>51125324
Half the US is either tornado country or earthquake country, where these things aren't so prevalent you see far more solid buildings
>>
>>51125614
And the other part is cuck country?
>>
Are there any board games you would consider 'gateway drugs' for RPGs? I particularly like RPGs, but my current group gets together fairly infrequently and a bit of a drive from where I live.

I'd like to get my wife and our boardgaming friends to try an RPG, but they're turned off by the whole 'playing pretend' aspect.

I'm trying to find a sequence of games that slowly shift the focus away from competing for victory with barely any narrative background.

Our go-to board games are currently Catan and Agricola.
>>
>>51124408
You said it yourself. The car ran into a wall, not into a storefront that's 90% glass pane.
>>
>>51126039
Rahdo, go fuck yourself, you cuck!
>>
>>51126102
What the fuck are you on?
>>
Looking for a good game to play while on 150ug with a group of 3 or 4 people.
Need something that's just really chill and easy to understand, preferably with a really beautiful sense of design.
I have my eye on Inis. I know it's supposed to be a very good game, but I don't know how it would play out.
>>
>>51126117
Go play ur coop and euro trash. you cuck!
>>
>>51126135
150ug ?
>>
>>51126197
LSD
>>
>>51126135
Dixit for something light?
>>
>>51124185
It is better with more.
Also dat art.
>>
Is there some good critique resorses `bout board games, like blogs or youtobe channels? I`m sick of sjw-whining, shills and overrated kickstarter shit of a games. Every fucking "review" is full of fake joy, shilling, or reviwer just too afraid to take a shit on overrated trash like Mech vs Minions, and starts to lick ass of its moronic audience. Help me, /tg/, you`re my only hope.
>>
>>51126265
This looks fantastic
>>
>>51126039
Mansions of Madness might be up your alley.

Other games that might apply:
Mice and Mystics (kiddy)
Last Night on Earth (needs expansions)
Middle Earth Quest
Tales of Arabian Nights (multiplayer choose your own adventure)
>>51126381
Search for all the games you like are bad on youtube. His presentation is bad but his analysis is good.

He still likes Mech vs Minions
>>
>>51126448
>He still likes Mech vs Minions
Into the trash it goes. Anything else, anon?
>>
>>51119994
I curious about this too.
>>
>>51126510
Check him out first and give him a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE&

the stated reasons why he likes Mechs vs Minions are reasonable IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsbOJ62itY

Can't really say that I'm aware of any other in-depth analysis. I usually ask here, watch several reviewers, read the instruction manual and make up my own mind.
>>
>>51119994
>>51126558
It's okay, if you're interested go for it, but it didn't jump up and blow away my expectations, wysiwyg. I'd drop it in an instant for Santorini right now, despite the latter's higher price point.
>>
>>51126398
no worries anon, I would also suggest Mysterium if you think you can handle something a bit more mechanically complex, it also works with Dixit cards which is pretty neat
>>
>>51126448
>>51126510
Why is Mechs vs Minions so bad?
>>
>>51124364
Wait... Doesn't Japan naturally have mountains?

< runs away before the Grognards force me into an extended ASL campaign... >
>>
>>51124409
That's giving me flashbacks to damn near every micro-game from the 80's, not to mention more than a few of the boxed games too. (These days I need a sheet of plex - and a box to put it on top of - mainly to keep the damn cats out of my games if I have to stop in the middle of one.)
>>
>>51113287
>>51118226
Do the starting positions in Mare Nostrum dictate what strategy you go for or are they inconsequential?
>>
>>51126381
>Is there some good critique resorses `bout board games, like blogs or youtobe channels?

You do realize there's an entire list of game reviewers in the pastebin link (along with a butt-load of other resources), right? Find the ones you like.
>>
>>51127327
It isn't.
People just like to shit on Riot.
It's a LoL themed (gasp!) light (gasp!) coop (gasp!) kind of random (GASP!) action programming (doublegasp!!) plastic pusher (REEEEEE!!!).

It's not something everyone will enjoy, but then again, neither is any other game out there.
>>
>>51127445
The factions are absolutely not pigeonholed into specific strategies. Greek forces are stronger on the defense - but this can be exploited very aggressively if you can get initiative and move into an opponent's territory before they move forces in to defend it, for instance. Carthage and Egypt have economic advantages, but those give them a lot more freedom to produce troops and ships in quantity.
>>
File: 1481256869018.gif (2MB, 298x301px) Image search: [Google]
1481256869018.gif
2MB, 298x301px
>>51127474
>>
>>51127327
I don't know if it's bad, I haven't played it. I just said that that particular reviewer liked it.

If not for the difficulty level I'd even consider buying it.
>>
>>51123119
almost baited me into replying him. ALMOST
>>
>>51124185
I really like it but don't own it because the game desperately needs sleeves and I never found any for that size of card

8 is the sweet spot for this one
>>
>>51126039
Arkham horror, mansions of madness, decent, imperial assault and maybe all become better when you're immersed and roleplaying

Shoutouts to Betrayal at the House on the Hill too
>>
Any decent 6 player suggestions other than playing 2 3-player games?

Already have:
Betrayal at House on the Hill
King of Tokyo
Dixit
(Shame me if you must)
>>
File: jucy.jpg (180KB, 600x517px) Image search: [Google]
jucy.jpg
180KB, 600x517px
>>51102805
Saved 4700 dollars in MSRP from the last Kick Starter

I couldn't be more thrilled with Poots' lack of self control. He sure is a lewd business man.
>>
man this mage kickstarter is triggering me. i keep going back and forth between pledging and not pledging.
>>
>>51128142
Rex is 10/10 at 6, but has issues at lower counts.
>>
>>51128142
C O U P
O
U
P
>>
>>51127949
>8 is the sweet spot for this one
Noted.

I am really paranoid about people bending and scuffing the cards when they're doing their fake-or-not swaps, because the art really is stunning.
>>
>>51127949
Mayday 80x120mm sleeves work great, and yeah, the game desperately needs them.
>>
>>51128436
are they dixit sized cards? mage is making sleeves for those.
>>
>>51128484
Yeah, same size.
>>
>>51127474
You forgot 'over produced' (i.e. it has some of the nicest game components of any game out right now) which apparently somehow offends the easily offended.
>>
Couple threads back an anon asked about War of the Ring. Coolstuff just got it back in stock, so the reprints should be out there now if you're still looking.
>>
>>51128236
Looks pretty solid, it's going on the watch list.

>>51128291
Is coup solid in its own, or does it need, or even have, expansions that make it better?
>>
>>51128142
Steampunk Rally
Keyflower
Power grid
Mysterium
Jamaica
Codenames
>>
File: pic71199.jpg (56KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
pic71199.jpg
56KB, 500x499px
What do you guys think of the new Doom board game, is it better then the old one ?
>>
>>51129086
Coup is fine on its own. The expansion does add a replacement role card and a new layer of strategy using 'teams' that can't attack each other but you can change your team/other's teams.
>>
>>51116877
>hurr monopoly takes 5 hours
this meme again
>>
>>51129086
The reformation expansion adds a lot of longevity to Coup, introuducing fluid "teams" that help and control who can target whom and when - but the base game isn't bad without it.

>>51129174
Haven't played the new one, and haven't played the old one in a very long time, but from the rulebook alone I think the new one will have more staying power. Doesn't have the old one's exploration mechanics or traps though.
>>
>>51129175
>>51129200
My thanks.
>>
>>51129185
When I was a kid, me and my cousins would play Monopoly on xmas. Start in the morning, go for breakfast, keep playing til lunch, return to the game at night, went to sleep and repeated the cycle for 2 or 3 days. Those were not multiple games either. We had to write "checks" because there was no more paper money in the bank.
Good times. Also, we were young, stupid and didn't know any better.
>>
>>51129297
If you get the brazilian art edition, that has the reformation expansion included I believe. Amazon should have it still in stock.
>>
>>51124653
they are dead, but can be fun if you are into them.
>>
>>51103788
Play Machi Koro if you like. It's not bad.
>>
>>51129983
I don't love Machi Koro, but I'll play it if people ask.
And I'll definitely play it instead of Monopoly.
>>
What are your thoughts on Dead of Winter: The Long Night? My group has played and enjoyed Dead of Winter, but the person who owns it isn't able to come around as much anymore. I was thinking The Long Night might be a wise option so we can still play when we don't have the original copy, and combine when we do.

Thoughts on both stand-alone and expansion aspects would be appreciated.
>>
>>51125324
Cars don't run through your walls "All the time". A car has never run through my wall.
>>
>>51130302
I read some reviews, most agreed that if you own neither, then The Long Night is the better deal, and that if you already own Crossroads, the expansion is still worth it. Then, if you get The Long Night first, the first game is kind of optional, get it, don't get it, not important.
>>
>>51129743
Tyrants - dead? Wow, that was a quick one. More info about those games?
>>
>>51130302
Just as shitty as original one. Go buy it, shiteater, have your "fun".
>>
>>51130479
Tyrants isn't dead, it's GF9 and visibly modular, so we can probably expect a fair amount of support in the future, I think he just meant discwars.
>>
>>51127482
Santorini is a mediocre game that just blinds people with high production values.
>>
>>51130675
Well, Scythe and Mech and Minions are shitty "games" that just blinds people with high production values.
>>
>>51130675
Why? Is it solved? Does it only have a couple of possible move choices each turn?
>>
>>51129174
I just bought the new one but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. The pieces, board, and cards all look fantastic and I've heard good things about it from others online
>>
>>51130302
There seems to be a hard divide in reviews concerning the biggest module of The Long Night. It's between people who hate it because they feel it takes away from the Walking Dead/Romero-esque feel of the zombies and people who love it because it adds a Resident Evil/Left4Dead element with crazy tech and specialist zombies.
>>
>>51124185
does this game use text on the cards?

as in if i buy it in dutch will i find cringy text on the gameplay elements?
>>
>>51131020
Nope, just some textless iconography. Go for it, the art alone is worth the game's price.
>>
>>51101993
Alright stupid question time, I got my first ever COIN game at Christmas, A Distant Plain it looks sexy, and I'll be jumping in headfirst with a four-player game tomorrow.

Can the COIN forces sweep onto an adjacent LoC and then back to the Provence they were in?

The normal ops can target any number of provences unless they're limited right? And how does that work for moving? Is that only one destination or only one place can have pieces move elsewhere?
>>
>>51130741
I agree.
>>51130797
Pretty much. Your plays of the base game will stagnate to basically longer tic tac toe after 2 plays. The only way left to play is with the god powers which might as well just be flipping a coin for who is going to win because one is always overpowering the other.
>>
>>51131058
Damnit STEEV! Lead me NOT into temptation. (I can find it myself...)
>>
>>51130741
I wouldn't say they're shitty games, rather they're just OK or mediocre games. However I would readily agree if someone claimed that they are 'Over-hyped' games. They do things (for the most part) that are mechanically sound. They're just not really pushing the envelope or bringing anything revolutionary to the table. Nor are they really polishing the stand mechanics to a high degree. The biggest problem is people buy into the hype and then become invested in defending it. I caught a lot of flack here during the Scythe KS when I questioned the designer's claims that it was a "4x" game. Now that the game is out, people have been forced to admit that it is NOT in fact a 4x game, and is in fact far less combat oriented than even a 3x game like Quantum. But back when the KS was in full swing, you'd have thought I was suggesting sodomizing small childern based on the vehement responses my questioning brought.

So, I don't own Scythe or MvM. I might pick up Scythe because it seems to be a fun Engine-builder with strong thematic elements. But M vs. M just hasn't grabbed me at all.
>>
>>51133376
I'll defend MvM. Coop programming is pretty new and a fun way to do a coop, It also has a good deal of well done mechanics. It's main flaw is that it is a $75 game with a massive budget into presentation but it's not really a hardcore game. People with the money are expecting something more than casual fun and people who want casual fun don't go to a specific store and order online with a huge queue for delivery just to get a game.
>>
>>51133184
>game will stagnate into tic-tac-toe after two plays
Nigger I've played literally hundreds of games in the last few years on a homemade set and draws are rare as shit. More common than stalemates in chess, sure, but still rare. Get better bait.
>>
>>51133467
Ok, it doesn't draw, the tic tac toe comparison was unfair in that regard. It's just first player always wins if he catches on to what he's doing.
>>
>>51133376
so what are excellent games?
>>
>>51133554
the ones you enjoy the most, hon.
>>
>>51133581
You patronizing mofo
>>
Is there such a thing as a good dexterity game that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
>>
>>51133589
>patronizing
not at all, If you love a game then that is perfect for you, I should know, I love a lot of games people hate.

Chill friend.
>>
>>51133681
Rhino Hero
>>
>>51133581
>the ones you enjoy the most, hon.

Which categories are you interested in? There's a big difference between 'Euro-games' vs 'Ameri-trash' vs 'Deck Builders' vs 'Classic War Games', etc, in terms of mechanics and play style, game time length, complexity and other factors.
>>
>>51133774
Doh, was trying to reply to >>51133554
>>
File: usurper.jpg (508KB, 659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
usurper.jpg
508KB, 659x1000px
>>51133187
Just try saying no to this smug bastard.
>>
>>51133865
Ha! It's out of stock at MM and CSI. <Phew! Dodged a $$$ bullet.> ;)
>>
>>51133681
Check out HABA and Mayday both make dexterity games mislabeled as kid's games. Dr Eureka also is really fun and can drop as low as $10 on amazon at times.
>>
I'm nearly dead set on buying Kemet, just have small doubts regarding skill variety, that is those cards you buy and monsters and stuff - does it imbalance the game much and give you outright superior buffs eventually making it imbalanced?
>>
>>51135063
arguably, though there are enough power tiles available that it effectively balances itself, there's just as much strategy required for which power tiles you want to buy as there is with where your dudes go on the map
>>
>>51135063
Listen to anon. They're a central part of the game and quite well balanced.
>>
>>51134434
>>51133716
Thanks lads I'll look into these
>>
>>51135691
Wrong thread.
>>
I got Lords of Waterdeep and we're really enjoying it. What should I get next? I'm thinking of Castles of Burgundy. I see it in many collections.
>>
>>51136850
It's a great design, it's a very fun mediumweight with great mechanics and good depth, however, it's not very engaging thematically and not very interactive. If you can play a textbook-definition eurogame regardless of how boring it looks, then by all means, CoB is a good choice,
>>
>>51125926
Blizzard country or hurricane country.
Seriously, SyFy's boner with disaster movies is just a reflection of reality.
>>
>>51133865
Wait, is he from an expansion?

My copy of the game doesn't have a Usurper.
>>
>>51138220
He was originally a promo card, but also comes in the expansion.

His action has you pick another player and declare what you believe their card to be. They reveal the card, and if you're correct, you perform their card's action.

A personal favorite, both in art and function.
>>
>>51138277
Ah nice. I don't think my local store had the expansion. I'll have to get it online, card sounds awesome.
>>
>>51138306
I have two, so I'd offer to just send you my extra, but then you'd have less incentive to get the expansion, and we can't have that.>>51138306
>>
>>51138374
And I'm in Australia, so postage would be a nightmare. Anything else good in the expansion?
>>
there's so many fun looking board games but i really need to eat and pay rent, fucking hell
>>
File: pic2287682_lg.jpg (170KB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
pic2287682_lg.jpg
170KB, 1024x759px
>>51138838
The Damned is some fun spice if you can stomach player elimination, but none of them are bad. Also not on this list is a Bear Tamer that they left blank for houseruled abilities.
>>
>>51138850
Once you get enough games, you can build a game box shelter under your favorite bridge.
>>
>>51138979
Looks interesting, I'll get it for sure.

With the Puppet Master, when the two players switch places, do they take their cards with them, or is it also forcing a swap?
>>
File: 71wNyhbulML._SL1500_.jpg (204KB, 1000x1006px) Image search: [Google]
71wNyhbulML._SL1500_.jpg
204KB, 1000x1006px
Man I can't wait for this to arrived
caved in and ordered it last week
>>
>>51139086
They leave their cards on the table, so yeah, complete swap of cards, money, position, everything.
>>
Hey /bbg/ recently got into boardgames, I'm wondering if there's a few cooperative games aside from Sentinels of the Multiverse that don't eliminate a player from being able to play if they're KO'ed
>>
>>51139125
Sounds fantastic.

Oh, and with the Necromancer, is the 'Cemetery' all the cards that aren't in play?
>>
>>51139213
Iirc you shuffle something like three random unused cards into a cemetery, but maybe it's more. Stick the Damned in the cemetery for extra bag-of-dicks fun. (or just in the pool of cards that are being used, so no one knows if it's in the cemetery or someone's hand)
>>
>tfw like dominion from what i've played on the online version
>know no one who would want to play it with me irl
suffering
>>
File: IMG_3744.png (206KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3744.png
206KB, 300x300px
>>51126135

Dungeon Quest!
>>
>>51139318
I'm sold. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>51139190
Pandemic is a nice one to start off with. I also have and enjoy Castle Panic and Forbidden Island. Forbidden Desert is another option
>>
>>51139516
>play online
Where? I need to know
>>
File: My other girlfriend.jpg (160KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
My other girlfriend.jpg
160KB, 500x435px
>>51139026
Boxes... Is there anything they can't do?
>>
>>51140365
yeah, about that...
I believe dominion online just lost their license. Try the Android app.
>>
>>51140365
https://dominion.games/
>>
>>51139092

It's ok. But can get quite repetitive after about 4 or 5 games with either faction due to lack of gameplay/samey strategy.
>>
>>51142188
>Lack of gameplay
What does this even mean? /bgg/ is so horrible at explaining their gripes sometimes. You make a lot of strategic decisions without much downtime, so I'm confused what you're really implying here. The only game I've played that I could say has a lack of gameplay is Mysterium, because for all your discussion with eachother over the pictures, you really only have like 7 actions a game.
>>
>>51133774
the only thing i disliked so far is pandemic. but not because of the coop. but because its a single player game where the multiplayer doesnt add anything.

i really like ffg civ
-caverna
-carcassonne
-king of tokyo
-galaxy trucker
-star realms
-ascension
-battlestar galactica
-no thanks
-codenames

actually my boardgame taste is the same as my music taste

i dont care what band or genre your song is from. if its good its good.

though in case of music i usually only have 1-2 songs of a band in my playlist and my genres are all over the place.
>>
>>51140551
or cut them up and make them smaller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLyHseV4YY
>>
>>51104640
>>51116088
Thanks for the suggestions, i derped hard on not considering mysterium. And risk legacy is a no brainer cant beleive i forgot that one too haha not personally a fan of risk but the kid is obsessed.

In any case

I was also thinking of getting something akin to mafia de cuba but maybe more meaty?

I forget the name but i also was thinking of that game where each round you divvy up money if youre the boss or whatever and then people can vote you off the position... or something like that... i know there are several games similar but if anybody could id any one of them thatd be superb!

Also, i recall millions of dollars looking pretty good but being unavailable. Havent checked back on it anytime recently but anyways im wondering if i could hear from someone whos played it. Is it good, why, drawbacks, etc.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>51143725
That sounds like I'm the Boss, haven't played it myself, but it sounds fun
>>
>>51142959
Small boxes won't help with >>51138850 anon's homelessness.
>>
>>51144183
Small boxes to store the games, offcuts to build your shelter. Couple of copies of splendor and you've got half a shantytown.
>>
>>51142851
Try Archipelago, you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
>>51103882
Dominion 1v1.
Easy to learn, hard as fuck to master. Forces you to card count, calculate probabilities ahead an pre plan a lot.
>>
File: 1478466278516.jpg (28KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1478466278516.jpg
28KB, 450x300px
anyone looked at the dark souls ruleset?
They fucked it up even more, removed invader content.
>>
>>51145125
They moved the core game invader to the invader expansion, and moved all the invader rules there, because one invader is out of place in the context of the main game.
Everyone who backed for core is getting the invader expansion anyway. I honestly don't see what the big deal is.
>>
What are some fun travel games desu, I already have love letter
>>
>>51142851
what you need is some more direct player interaction in general, here's a few suggestions:

Wiz-War
Kemet
Cosmic Encounter
Neuroshima Hex!
Quartermaster General
>>
>>51145179
>"Day one DLC is fine" they said.
>"Can't get enough of this dick in my ass" they said, "and paying for it too, what a bargain".
>>
>>51146026
> They're giving me free shiz *AND* organizing it more logically...

REEEEE 'the post'.
>>
>>51145260
I've heard that Hive is a good abstract game
>>
File: Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg (2MB, 2416x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg
2MB, 2416x1920px
>>51145260
I did a print-n-play version of the Duke with magnets in the board and sheet metal in the chits and it works beautifully as a travel version of the game.
>>
File: Stronghold 2nd Ed.jpg (127KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Stronghold 2nd Ed.jpg
127KB, 700x700px
>>51142851
Thanks for the reply - it's helpful. The other question (that I should have asked before) would be how many players do you typically have? And/or are you looking for some 1v1 style games?

Stronghold 2nd Edition for example is a nice 1v1 strategy game, same with Tosh Kalar.
>>
File: DS-Core-Rules.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
DS-Core-Rules.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Actually reading through the DS rulebook, seems pretty good. A few things are a little oddly themed for Dark Souls, but it looks like a relatively good dungeon crawl so far. Definitely on the lighter end and looks like it'll fit into a better time slot than some slogging grindfests like SDE and GoW.

My biggest caution so far is that the difficulty curve for player count seems very strange. More player will definitely make combat easier with normal encounters, but the only thing that become more difficult is fewer respawns. Enemy spawns are the same, damage out and in is the same, etc. So it seems equally deadly (if not slightly less due to priority target spread around more), but way easier to game over due to shit rolls since you lack the cushion of respawns/full heals (4 for 2p vs 2 for 4p). I'm not sure what you would replace the that part of the system with to make it more leveled out.

Only other issue is my fucking bane with so many dungeon crawlers: Dice with blank sides. I hate blank side and never see why they should exists. I don't care if the whole system is skewed up by one by adding one to each side and it's just a cosmetic change. Rolling some ones suck, yes, but nothing is worse than throwing four dice and they all come up fucking zeros (looking at you Gears of War). At least with ones you feel like you have a chance to do something.
>>
>>51146863
Well, if they actually removed core content and made it unavailable for retail base game buyers, then yeah, it IS day one DLC.
>>
File: MvD.png (411KB, 737x363px) Image search: [Google]
MvD.png
411KB, 737x363px
What do you guys think about Descent vs Myth?
While the biggest difference is the 1 vs all vs many style of Descent while Myth is fully co-op. But Descent seems to be taking off in the fully co-op aspect with the RtL app.

Can anyone elaborate about both games? how does the combat feel and the gameplay itself?
>>
>>51148052
I can't give you detailed descriptions, but I can give you a couple comments that players of both games point out:

Descent can devolve into a 'race game' where the players don't really explore the dungeon, they 'race' to complete all the mission objectives and little or nothing else while the GM 'races' to block the players. It doesn't automatically have to play out that way, but the players and GM have to make a conscious effort at times not to let it devolve into direct conflict / race outcomes.

As for Myth / Mythic series - the biggest complaint there was that the rules were a complete and total train-wreck. I haven't heard if they've really fixed the issue or if the fan base has come to accept that the rules are always going to be wonky.
>>
>>51147004
Awww, how cute. He's trying to justify his complete waste of Kickstarter money.
>>
Playing Fury of Dracula tonight. I've played it once before but we ran out of time sometimes into the second week. Any tips for Dracula/Hunter players alike?
>>
>>51147004
Fucking hell man, even the DS Boardgame acts like DS2 never happened. Fuck that.
>Undead Burg, Sens Fortress, Anor Londo
>????????????????????
>2 Lothric Walls and Undead Settlement

Not even Drangleic Castle, Tower of Iron or Eleum Loyce.
>>
>>51148945
Actually I've of the complaints people had during the Kickstarter was too much dark souls 2 content. It must mostly be in the stretch goal content because I know the iron keep us something everyone gets, like half the mega bosses are dark souls 2, and a buncha summons and invaders.

In any case the rules seemed like they could be fun. I'm looking forward to mine. I just wish they delayed the game itself when they delayed the stretch goals. This seems so barren, like a demo. No invaders, no summons, only 5 kinds of enemies, even the equipment is going to be missing the big names everyone loves because that was stretch goal stuff.
>>
File: dark_souls_board_game.jpg (177KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dark_souls_board_game.jpg
177KB, 1500x1000px
>>51148945
I don't blame them for their choices. I can understand that one two boss fights could really fit into a standard board game size and price range. I mean these bosses are not small miniatures. And they'd want to pick mini bosses/minions from the same games/stages that the bosses appeared in.

Dark Souls 3 is the most recent game and is still being actively developed with DLC so it would be retarded to not include content from it, and one of the most recognizable bosses is the Dancer.

Oreos and Smores was one of the most iconic Dark Souls fights of all times as well as one of the first major skill walls the players had to surmount.

Dark Souls 2 suffers from middle child syndrome where the elder is respected and the younger is being fawned over. That in addition to it doing little to really make itself stand out.

But let's list off the expansions that will be made for the base game:
>Core: Pursuer + Alonne
>Iron Keep: Smelter
>Darkroot Basin: Sif+Artorias
>Gaping Dragon
>Kalameet
>Guardian Dragon
>Four Kings
>Asylum Demon
>Old Iron King
>Vordt
>Last Giant
>Manus
>Executioner's Chariot

So with expansions considered, the game that's actually underrepresented in content is Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>51146890
this is brilliant, hats off to you anon
>>
File: IMG_20170111_153348.jpg (878KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170111_153348.jpg
878KB, 1613x1210px
Mail's here!
>>
>>51152558
OOOHHHHH! You lucky bastid! I will find you! And I will game you! (So Jelly!)
>>
File: 1482027797246.jpg (40KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
1482027797246.jpg
40KB, 403x392px
>>51152558
>>
>>51152558
That thing is so damn pretty it's the only time I've ever wanted to kickstart a game. Upside the only thing you lose out on with the retail edition will be the storybook and maybe a few gods that'll be in an expansion later.
>>
>>51156087
The storybook is already one of my daughter's favorites, along with an ancient one about Hannibal Barca I had as a kid.
>>
>>51156335
Yeah can't decide if I want to try and get it secondhand or do the pre-order they've still got up via the kickstarter page......
>>
>>51149107
To be fair, DS2 had the best invaders
>>
Any anons pick up the Celestia reprint after it dropped at Gencon, haven't been able to see it first hand and debating between it and Odin's Ravens for my next purchase based solely on art value.
>>
>>51158186
>picking a game based on art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VvPnThFqM

this is me, pumped as fuck
>>
>>51158370
Granted neither is Terraforming Mars, but they're both still very good games, I just wouldn't buy either one right now except for the production values, got plenty of good casual games already. Also

>giving EGG money ever
Hope it turns out better for you than the Tumblin' Dice crowd or the TtA bullshit they just went through.
>>
>>51156087
All gods from Kickstarter are available. Some are in the Golden Fleece pack, but the only promos are promos not even Kickstarter people get. Those 2 promos are said to be in expansions later.
>>
>>51158497
The Gallerist KS went without a hitch, I hope this will be no different
>>
File: image[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Got Wave 2 of FT:Z and holy shit I'm so happy!
>>
>>51119997
Fun as shit yo. I've only played through once, and admittedly I won by dropping night elves on yggdrasil, one player's fire giant, and having the special rule that lets you raid with extra figures.

Fun as fuck though I thought.
>>
>>51152558
What is this?
>>
>>51161634
Santorini, a game about climbing atop the largest erection.
>>
>>51161212
>fun
KYS, sheeple.
>>
>>51161704
Fun is bad?
>>
File: 3e3[1].jpg (84KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
3e3[1].jpg
84KB, 488x516px
>>51161747
>>
>>51120026
I've never seen someone win with just Loki strats. Some strategically placed uses of Loki are really good, but just trying to lose constantly is never enough.
>>
>>51161908
I remember better now, the all-Loki player consistently placed second and the first place in all three games was the player directly before him who always managed to capitalize on his predictability.
>>
>>51157759
I liked a lot of the designs in Dark Souls 2. The problem is less it's designs and more just the glitchy game and world that felt more like a weakly connected series of set pieces than holding a cohesive theme.
>>
okay just a fyi for everyone

that shady italian ebay that had ascension year 2 for 50% is legit.
they have an actual store where i ordered it + return of the fallen+ rat queen and rat king promo. for 100 euro total
because 100 euro's gives me free shipping.

https://www.uplay.it/en/boardgame-Ascension--Year-Two-Collector-s-Edition-.html

they probably have like 2 left though.
>>
>>51161747
Fun is just buzzword shit, it doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>51162336
Well less that it means nothing and more that it means a complex combination of too many things. It's not a very in depth review but it's a valid thing to say.
>>
>>51158186
I have it. It's pretty but too simple to pull out most of the time, and the random chance to get a better card makes pushing your luck pretty unimportant feeling. I wish I had the expansion to help give you more to do, but that's not in America I believe.
>>
>>51121250
Great quick game
>>
I'm new to tabletop games, but I think this is something I could really get into so I'm thinking of buying a few board games.

What I've played so far and enjoyed (at a friend of a friend's house):
Go
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Santorini
Pandemic Contagion
Citadels

Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>51163711
LORDS OF WATERDEEP
>>
>>51163711
Kys.
>>
>>51163956
New thread's up, someone post something while I drive into work so the day's not a total loss.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.