[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 34

File: bgg wars.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1MB, 800x800px
Last thread:
>>51101993

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Almost the weekend anons, what do your game day/night plans look like? Trying something new? Converting a non-gamer to the light? Lots of guys who don't have groups posting, those of you who do, tell us about yours and how it got started.
>>
>>51163956
>dat pic
What can you tell me about Summoner Wars, tg? Is it good?
>>
>>51163956
reposting this.
https://www.uplay.it/en/boardgame-Ascension--Year-Two-Collector-s-Edition-.html

its legit. 100 euro is free shipping.
>>
>>51163956
Hopefully playing some games tonight with 4-6. Want to get Kemet out, but some players don't play table tops at all. Will probably play the beginner variant and see how it goes
>>
>>51163983
It's okay, but not great. Interesting tactical choices but the dice driven combat resolution does too much to undermine it. Fun and with loads of content if you don't mind that sort of thing though.
>>
File: pic2390081.jpg (2MB, 1440x1422px) Image search: [Google]
pic2390081.jpg
2MB, 1440x1422px
What's the best viking game to date? I'm on a tight budget and like the look of pic related, reviews are also good, but I wanna make sure before I pull the trigger.

If you could only own one viking game what would it be?

Also not blood rage b/c I'm looking for something with realism and not just combat
>>
>>51164875
A Feast for Odin is getting a ton of buzz recently.
>>
I have a choice between codenames and one night ultimate werewolf, what should I get?
>>
>>51165106
Personally, I liked Code Names more, but that's just me.
>>
>>51165106
>>51165178
Can anyone tell me what makes one night ultimate werewolf so good?
>>
>>51165238
People enjoy the pure deduction game in regular Werewolf/Mafia, but the downside is you need a moderator, a larger-ish group, and it runs a while. ONUW is the game condensed and app moderated so it scratches 90% the itch for those who like the full game.
>>
>>51165106
I've never been a fan of the one night games, but I'll play if that's what everyone else wants. A single, not calculated, slip usually ends with an instant win for the other team, whereas other games make single mistakes more forgiving This is the essence of the game though, that tension is great when it works, but sucks for less experienced players. Codenames is cool, but suffers for not being a real party game. If you don't chose to be engaged, you won't be. This is fine if everyone is in it, but nobody seems to talk about how it's a bad gateway game, which I think isn't good for any party game.
>>
>>51165238
It's a microcosm of bluffing games, with all the best bits thrown in.

- No generic characters, unless you really want to add them in. The default state of gameplay is for everyone to have some special ability. This means you're never "just a lame generic good guy" who has nothing to contribute other than balancing the game.

- You can't run into a situation where you fucked all the shit up forever with a bad play, because the gameplay lasts five minutes, so the most you can do is sillily botch that one round. Compare to games like Avalon where evil can accidentally turn the next half hour into an exercise in futility if they fumble.

- It mostly explains itself via the individual role rules, so no need to explain anything more to newbies other than how to vote and which team is which.

- With Daybreak added in, it's probably the most modular bluffing game there is. You can mix it up however you want, adding fun things like the Curator and P.I. for maximum "who's who" nonsense, or keeping it rather vanilla to make the puzzle more solvable. This also means it's probably exactly the sort of game you, personally, want... in some version of role setups

- Again, it's short, which leads to a million great things, like being able to rope people into at least a couple games of it.

I'm not saying it's the best bluffing game, I'd actually personally put it in third place on that metric. But it's small, clever, variable and resilient to basically infinite replay. That's pretty neat.
>>
Played the old Space Crusade for the first time recently. The translation was weird.
>>
Hey guys, are there any games about politics itself? Like building a government, holding votes and backstabbing your opponents?
>>
>>51164875
Odin's Ravens
yeah I know it's a pasted theme card game, it's still better than a lot of the flavor of the month bullshit that's been coming out
>>
>>51165864
Tammany Hall is reasonably popular for that.
Wheeling and dealing in the immigration boom of the early 1900's.
>>
>>51165864
Secret Hitler is based entirely around this concept - elections are held, sometimes bad policies get enacted just because the rest of the invisible government pushed for them, even if the President and Chancellor are both innocent, which leads to them wrongly being ostracized from future elections, etc.

It is, however, a primarily bluffing based game with an "evil team" (the fascists) and everything, which I don't know if you're necessarily looking for.
>>
>>51165946
Yeah, I don't think you can call secret hitler truly political outside of theme.
>>
>>51165887
What's the appeal of this game to you? Legitimately curious, I'm not a hater of it, but I did find the race was basically entirely chance based and always led to being neck and neck the entire time til the moment one person gets a slightly better draw, and just wins. Where's the deeper levels of it?
>>
>>51165946

I actually have that game. Its a hit at parties, even with people who would normally be ashamed of playing a board game. Its great fun but I was thinking of something a bit less deductive based or at least maybe not as important.

>>51165910
Much obliged!
>>
File: image_7.jpg (20KB, 420x418px) Image search: [Google]
image_7.jpg
20KB, 420x418px
>tfw starting a game night in a couple of weeks time
>>
>>51166138
What games are you playing?
>>
I'm going to buy a board game for the first time ever should I buy Catan or Carcasonne?
>>
>>51167045
No. Both are enormously outdated.
>>
>>51167112
Well I know I like catan but what would you suggest for an entry level strategy game? something that's not to complicated and has a medieval theme?
>>
>>51167127
How many players do you want?
Medieval europe specific or just historical?
What do you like about catan?
>>
>>51167154
2-4 players is fine
medieval europe or fantasy
I like catan because of its simplicity, trading, and strategy.
>>
>how many games is too many /tg/?

I've got like 40 or so, but I'm big on big complicated ones, so those 40 take up a bunch of space. Got a few that I need to get rid of, but man selling/trading board games is a pain in the arse. Shipping costs generally being the issue.
>>
>>51167204
Mare Nostrum, but you'll need the expansion for two players.
>>
Would Eldritch Horror be a good step up from Betrayal?
I love playing betrayal but I wanna get something meatier than it and preferably without such a random element like haunts
>>
>>51167112
Catan is, but I think Carcassonne is worth a purchase. Then again, I dont know anything about tile placement games, so if somebody could recommend games that do it better, I'd appreciate it
>>
>>51167045
Carcasonne is really good. Introduced my gfs family to it and now they won't stop playing.
>>
>>51167492
>finally tired of betrayal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU

And yeah, eldritch horror would probably be fine if you're still interested in a co-op.
>>
Schotten Totten just came in the mail. Really surprised that my FLGS only keeps the Battle Line version of this in stock. I live in a one room apartment so the much, much smaller box was a must.

Word of caution to future generations -

This game does not have a damn insert. Not even a little one. And it's half cards. Which will just fly around unbound. Ugh. Why. Iello has inserts for this box type, they use them in Welcome to the Dungeon. Tuhfgjddf.

Anyway.

Any opinions on the game?

It seems to have three different gameplay modes. Is this the sort of thing where I start right at expert, or is expert actually a lame variant and intermediate makes for a better lubricated game, etc.?
>>
>>51167533

Oi Steev. Look up genital jousting. Introduce it to your gaming parties. It's...interesting, also 5 bucks and supports 8 players
>>
>>51167039
Unsure. Got probably about 5 people coming who have never played a modern boardgames so i'll probably go codenames>avalon/coup>avalon/coup>One night ultimate
>>
File: 1464303139842.jpg (55KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
1464303139842.jpg
55KB, 957x621px
>>51167112
>Boardgames can be outdated meme
>>
>>51165106

Codenames has a broader appeal, so those unfamiliar with board games would be more pliable to playing it.
>>
>>51165619

Also: One Night Ultimate Werewolf has no player elimination and a larger amount of quantifiable information. Fuck getting eliminated early and sitting out for the rest of an hour long game.
>>
>>51167706
Already installed.
I'm expecting entertaining reactions from the more conservative and/or insecure attendees.

>>51167794
They're no more immune to being replaced with better things than any other invention, though I'll agree calling them outdated is a little inaccurate.
>>
>>51165946

You watched the All The Games You Like are Bad video, didn't you.
>>
>>51167988
Of course they can be replaced but I dont see why catan or carcassonne are considered outdated.

Especially carcassonne
>>
>>51167794

>Hurr durr Monopoly isn't dated
>>
>>51167836
I hate games that eliminate players with a passion. Who the fuck wants to sit around and watch everyone else play a game?
>>
>>51168075
>dated
Actually, Monopoly is not dated because there's basically very few games that are as horrible. It's a monument of mediocrity and just for that, it's not dated.
>>
>>51168062
Yeah, I don't really like carcasonne because I'm a filthy ameritrash plebian and have trouble discerning the difference between carcasonne and a box of stale wheat thins, but Catan I have an involuntary reflex to pitch into open flames.
>>
>>51167492

Have you considered Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition?
>>
>>51168145
Catan is casual crap but not bad for a gateway.
Dunno how you couldnt love caracsonne though, even my brother who only likes ameritrash loves it but maybe its because you can be a huge fucking dick to anyone else playing if you get the right tiles
>>
>>51168310
Probably just haven't spent enough time with it, and I've got way too damn many filler-length games as-is. Still probably ought to pick up a copy sometime, no one else in my group has it afaik.
>>
File: 1442827572229.jpg (88KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1442827572229.jpg
88KB, 768x768px
>still waiting for Eldritch Horror to be re-edited in my country
>>
One night ultimate werewolf or deception Hong Kong?
>>
>>51167533
I heard ffg games are going out of print, is Eldritch in danger of that? I really should save up before buying any new games right now

>>51168202
I've looked into it but the whole using an external app thing just turns me off of it
>>
>>51168454

I think I read a comment on Leddit that FFG titles aren't going out of print, but are between print runs. I think the company waits for sufficient orders from international distributors before ordering another production run. I may just be talking shit.
>>
>>51167988

I like how everyone talks about how the biggest assault on the senses isn't the visuals, but the sounds.
>>
>>51168080
The idea behind player elimination is that the stakes are raised, and I can get that. In games where it's purposely engineered to only happen 10 minutes from the end, like Secret Hitler, it actually has that intended effect.
>>
>>51168012
No? Never seen any of his stuff. I normally don't watch videos for games.
>>
>>51168999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgTtz6enVaM
>>
>>51168968
Nope, it's a godawful mechanic. How about not being a bitch ass loser, those stakes seem pretty good to me. Anyone who designs a game with player elimination should go practice what they preach and eliminate themselves from existing.
>>
So i got an android phone that's actually quite up to day and I was thinking of playing some board games on it.

Any apps that are worth recommending beside Neuroshima: Hex? Not really interested in playing anything multiplayer just single player against AI opponents.
>>
>>51169062
I only watched the first four minutes but this guy seems to be pretty decent
>>
>>51168419
Hong Kong. Not even close imo
>>
Is Terra Mystica as good as everyone says it is?
>>
>>51169956
If you're a euro fan, yes.
>>
>>51169860
Star Realms
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
>>
File: cute.gif (260KB, 337x440px) Image search: [Google]
cute.gif
260KB, 337x440px
>tfw you play games with your bf
>>
>>51168419
Probably Hong Kong. It is both simpler to explain to newbies, and a bit more fun. It's also actually viable to be played at 4p, which is extremely rare for a social deduction game.

The one downside is that it's almost entirely logic and less focused on the social part. The Murderer does need to have a poker face and distract attention from his own cards, but otherwise, it doesn't contain the raw accusations and lying the ONUW does.
>>
File: Social Combat.png (219KB, 715x501px) Image search: [Google]
Social Combat.png
219KB, 715x501px
>>51170263
>>
>>51170263
Gaaaaaaay
>>
File: 1452845985974.jpg (205KB, 843x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1452845985974.jpg
205KB, 843x1034px
>>51170298
>>51170310
T-Theres nothing wrong with being a homo!
>>
>>51169860
I have a bunch of good ones for that.
Patchwork
Le Havre The Inland Port
Agricola All Creatures Big and Small
Star Realms
Pandemic
Glass Road
Carcassonne
Galaxy Trucker
Twilight Struggle
Ticket to Ride
Baseball Highlights 2045
Splendor
Elder Sign
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Tsuro
Lanterns
Camel Up
Colt Express
Avignon
>>
>>51170263
What do I do if my bf likes games I don't, and feels dejected when I don't play them with him?

Follow up question: What if he overhears me mention they're "bad" at a meetup one time and goes full sadmode?

This is proving to be especially difficult as he now won't play my games, and we end up not playing any except the few we agree on. Which is very few.

help
this is legitimately hurting our relationship
>>
>>51170487
Just fucking play each others games and try your best to see why the other likes it. They're just little board games, it can't be that hard to find a bit of fun in each others shit.
>>
>>51170487
Just play them with him, what games are they? Sometimes you have to do things for other people you dont wanna do
>>
Not completely board game related but, am I the only one who has an obsession with dice? Like everytime I find weird, pretty, unusual or just fun dice, I can help but buy them.
I don't have "many" of them but I have already spent a little fortune on them. Am the only one like this? I recently paid 33 euros (minus shipping, my gf took care of it for me) for 9 d6 imported from Japan.
>>
>>51170356
As long as they are cute...
>>
>>51170561
Yes. The dice in Seasons makes me excited from how big and clanky they are
>>
>>51170487
depends. what does he like? what do you like?

also, if your relationship is on the rocks over a tiff over board games, you're fucked when it comes to actual real-life problems
>>
>>51170604
I mean, I have my roleplay bag stay in my apartment even if I can't roleplay recently and I sometimes toss dices out of my dice bag just for fun. I even bought Zombie Dice and both expansions because the School Bus was a sight to behold. Even when I'm studying, I sometimes pick up dices and have some fun tossing them for the sake of tossing them.
>>
>>51170531
>>51170549
We're talking multiple games of Hive in one sitting, in which he refuses to talk or listen to me talk, and takes 15 minutes per move. PER MOVE, guys.

The worst part is that I easily beat him every time. And don't even enjoy it, because I had to sit stock still and ponder the existential for multiple hours, unable to actually enjoy my boyfriend's company.

He says he likes to get better at the puzzle of it. I told him bga exists to play it online, but apparently it's "not the same" as ruining half my day instead.

>>51170615
You'd think so, but we've been through some shit, fully supporting each other the whole way. Severe injuries, hospitalization, family crises, the works. And board games is where the line finally starts being drawn, apparently.

To be fair, it's really only me. I'm the one with the problem, the one unable to bear what he does in the these situations.

I mean, I don't do anything as annoying as that myself. [citation needed]

But still.
>>
>>51170800
But hive is fun, stop being mean to your boyfriend, he enjoys puzzling the game out. If you're that mad about it then leave him because he deserves someone better.
>>
>>51170615

>also, if your relationship is on the rocks over a tiff over board games, you're fucked when it comes to actual real-life problems

Thisthisthis
>>
>>51170867
Hive used to be one of my favorite games, but he killed it for me. My brain associates it with sensory depravation torture so much now that even when I play with a talkative opponent and a chess timer, as I prefer, I fall into a funk by pure mental association.

Fifteen minutes a move, guys. Hours. And he demands complete silence. Seriously. This is how people are driven to murder sprees. I just want to play a game where I can actually have my boyfriend exist in the same realm as me for the duration of play.
>>
>>51170417
>>51170135
Thanks mangs. From those games I definately wanted to play Star Realms, La Havre, Twilight Struggle, Splendor, Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Might also checkout Pathfinder.

I think I saw a Dominant Species game somewhere.

I've also seen a java-script version of Terra Mystica, wonder how hard would be to get that running without wanting to kill myself.
>>
>>51170800
>board games is where the line finally starts being drawn
At least he's not like my ex. She was hyper competitive, and the sorest loser ever to walk this earth. I even tried playing poorly to appease her, but then on a camping trip she flipped the table on me for the last time. I tossed the game into the campfire and never played anything with her again.
>>
>>51170716
Nothing wrong with that anon
>>
>>51171001
Hmmm. How about just set up an ongoing game of hive on a table somewhere and play it over a couple of days. What other games does he like?
>>
>>51170800
If he likes the solving the puzzle, maybe make up a puzzle like that one chess thing? Set it up, then tell him to win in a turn or two. He gets to play Hive, and you can go do something else.
>>
>>51171001

>And he demands complete silence

He's normal outside of board games right? You're painting him in a sort of certain way.
>>
>>51170487
How old are you? Not having the *all* the same interests is fine in a relationship.

If your bf doesn't understand this he just might be young and he has yet to learn that, or he's a man-child and you should bail.
>>
>>51171063
What game was it?
>>
>>51163956
Got two more expansions for Eldritch Horror arriving today, and then playing on Sunday in a group of 6 or so.
Still need Strange Remnants and Dreamlands, but I'm working on it.
After I assemble the entire thing, I'm going to have to get a permanent table set up for Gauntlet mode, where you face all Ancient Ones sequentially. But that is definitely a game to be spread over multiple days.
>>
>>51170263
>tfw new bf
>tfw he's a nerd who like boardgames and nerd stuff
>>
>>51171063
Jesus. Thanks for making me feel kinda better about my own situation

I can kinda understand people that competitive, I do often internally hate myself when I've failed so completely. But, you know. Internally.

>>51171123
Yeah, he's actually suggested that. It'll be a lot easier to do once we've moved into the new house. Currently in a shitty apartment with hardly any tablespace.

>>51171131
I feel like he might take that the wrong way, as he claims that we /are/ bonding when we play together, despite the lack of words. He'd probably feel as alienated as I do, doing that. But it's worth mentioning to him. Thanks.

>>51171145
Yeah, mostly. As normal as anyone. He just has the one or two quirks, the main one being what's at play here: he claims he can't mentally problem solve and talk to people at the same time.

>>51171160
Yeah, we have plenty of different interests, some of them absurdly opposite. And we're both adults. I think gaming really just hits close to home, as it's my biggest passion. Same way his strong political views, even when I agree with them, which is most of the time, create a little friction solely due to how important they are to him.
>>
>>51171252
iwtktf
>>
>>51171293
Well if that's a quirk just become really good at ignoring them. There are no perfect people and god knows you could have met a guy that has worse quirks.

The
> this is legitimately hurting our relationship
should be a cause of concern, though.
>>
>>51170716
I never calculate odds. I always when considering odds roll my pool of dice 3 times and see how good those rolls did. Same effect, but more fun.
>>
File: Carcassonne BB5.jpg (205KB, 745x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carcassonne BB5.jpg
205KB, 745x600px
>>51167045
The problem with Catan isn't simply that it uses RNG (i.e. Random Number Generation) via dice rolls, but rather that you work out a strategy *BEFORE* rolling the dice and then hope the dice rolls don't screw you over. I've seen very strategic players lose simply because the dice hated them that game, not because they made bad choices. A game that involves building and uses dice that you might like better is 'Roll for the Galaxy'. It uses dice to determine resources / actions for a given turn, but each player rolls their dice first, and then chooses how to allocate them. This means that each player can guarantee that at least one outcome they want will happen (i.e. explore, colonize, produce, ship goods, etc) every round as long as they have dice to roll.

As for Carcassonne - I really like that game for its relative simplicity. Players randomly draw tiles and then choose where to place them following some basic placement rules (like road to road, or city edge to another city tile). Players are attempting to create large cities, long roads, and large fields. Generally, the longer / larger a road, city, or farm field is, the more victory points it's worth when completed. Because of the random tile draw, you can end up with tiles that don't directly help you / or seemingly only benefit your opponent. However a clever player can place those tiles in a way that inconveniences other players - like finishing a road, field, or city your opponent controls before it becomes even larger / worth greater victory points. (The best is placing a tile on the current turn that effectively prevents your opponent from placing a tile later needed to complete a city, etc.) If you are thinking of buying Carcassonne - see if you can find 'Big Box 5' edition somewhere. It gives you the core game and what are arguable the most desirable expansions (Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, and Hills & Sheep - just skip the 'Meh' Wheel of Fortune) all in one box.
>>
File: Castles of Burgundy.jpg (289KB, 603x453px) Image search: [Google]
Castles of Burgundy.jpg
289KB, 603x453px
>>51167204
Give Castles of (Ron) Burgundy a look. It doesn't have trading, but it's a straight forward tile / set collection game.
>>
File: Mega-meeple.jpg (26KB, 674x501px) Image search: [Google]
Mega-meeple.jpg
26KB, 674x501px
>>51168310
>because you can be a huge fucking dick to anyone else playing if you get the right tiles

Heh! So much this! Nothing like watching your opponent build a nice big city with multiple 'shield' tiles for bonus points - only to place a tile that prevents them from actually completing that city. You strand one of their meeples and screw them out of a bunch of points they were anticipating. <Evil Grin (tm)>
>>
>>51171430
It's pretty great to be honest.
But they're rare.
Most gay guys are a pretty basic when it comes down to it.

>>51171962
I kind of didn't like that part of it. You can have a really well laid plan, but it only takes one shit heel in a 4+ player game to put you far far far out of the running.
>>
>>51171962
Even better is you place a city piece just off the city with a follow, connect it and finish their city and invalidate all the points

Alternatively use two follows to get even bigger glares from your family~
>>
>>51170263
>/fit/ turning me gay.
>lets go to good old /tg/
>masturbating to this comic.
>wish i had a cute twink i could overhead press for fun.
>welp.

more motivation to stick to this diet and get to 9% BF instead of this annoying 13% i keep hovering around.

maybe i can pray the gay away.
>>
>>51172089
Just embrace it anon. There are so many straight people that you should feel no obligation to also be one.

Diet up and get that cutie boyfriend who refuses to play anything but Uwe Rosenburg games
>>
>>51172089
>>/fit/ turning me gay.
Same.
Got a qt 120 lbs twink. Haven't OHP him yet, mostly because I have a feeling he'll squirm around a lot and I'll drop him.
>>
How is The Arkham Horror LCG for a fan of highly thematic games?
>>
>>51172140
>Uwe Rosenburg games
Wouldnt even mind.

though i usually play every genre.

>>51172162
where did you get him? also is 27 to old for twinkies?
i am decently /fit/ (for normies)
>>
>>51172185
My less co-op averse friends are really liking it so far, seem to think it does some really clever stuff with risk management.
>>
There has been some talk about Scythe recently, I finally realized what game is the nearest comparison - Terra Mystica.
>>
File: Kill_These_Guys.jpg (59KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
Kill_These_Guys.jpg
59KB, 600x397px
>>51172226
>can 27 has a twink
>tfw greying since 22
>>
>>51172361
>grey

i forgot to mention i trim my head for 2 years now because of balding issues.
>>
File: Analysis Paralysis 02.jpg (49KB, 432x292px) Image search: [Google]
Analysis Paralysis 02.jpg
49KB, 432x292px
>>51170800
>takes 15 minutes per move. PER MOVE, guys.

It's called 'Analysis Paralysis' and it's a problem some gamers suffer from - some more severely than others.

>>51171123
>>51171293

You might consider a DIY / Print-n-play version of a game. In the last /bgg/ thread I mentioned making a magnetized version of 'The Duke' that could be used in a moving car without fear of the pieces getting jostled out of place during the game. You might be able to do the same thing with 'The Hive' and then be able to set the game aside, or stand it up in an out of the way place 'between' turns. Then you can spend 2 minutes making your move while and get on with your day while your significant other spends hours contemplating all probable outcomes for no apparent reason.
>>
>>51172185
Can someone please explain this game to me? It's about playing multiple campaign games, not some deck strategy game like netrunner? I just don't understand.
>>
>>51172438
It's cooperative like the LOTR LCG, where you and other players have your own decks, and you're working against an AI enemy deck. As you play, your deck/character will earn xp to spend on new/better cards, which will allow you to more easily beat more difficult AI decks, etc.
>>
>>51172512
Haven't played the LOTR lcg but this arkham game intrigues me. Does the fact that it's a sort of 'character based game' mean that I need to pick my friends to play with and play through? How many sessions does one 'campaign' take? I read that you can play with up to four people with two core sets, which makes sense seeing how it's actually a COOP game.
>>
>>51172226
Also 27.
My general experience is that if you are a fit masculine top, there's a near endless supply of twinks to sex. Finding one that's bf material might be harder.

Grindr is all you really need.
>>
>>51172047
But while the others are screwing you over then you have the opportunity to be doing the same thing to them
>>
>>51172431
Can you tell me how you made your version of the duke? I'm really interested in doing this
>>
All this talk about hive...
What is the point of the spider piece? Does it actually offer anything over the ant?
>>
>>51164875
Eketorp
>>
>weekend plans
MTG pre-release weekend has unfortunately ruined any chance of anything happening with my usual group, Friday group has been completely inactive for the past couple months which also makes me sad

I might see if I can round up other people

>something new
I'm super keen to play Argent: The Consortium as that arrived in the mail a couple days ago, I'm also hoping Lords of Vegas is the Monopoly replacement I've been looking for

>non-gamer to the light
I've been subtly pushing a girl that I like into board games, I think she bought Catan a few weeks ago as she asked me to play with her when I hung out with her last, but my robot autism brain impulsively remembered the one experience I had with Catan which was a truly awful 5P five-hour borefest rather than increasing my chances to bone her and I declined

she's also pretty anti-social so I'm hoping I didn't accidentally fuck up any future chances of playing with her ughhh
>>
>>51173127
You be the one to bring it up next time, that you want to play and now you have time.
>>
Guys what are you thinking about subterra? I didnt Play any escape genere games, but always wanted to own one, could you recommend me something? Also i want to buy terraforming Mars and scythe. Does the latter one is worth the price tag? From what i read people say its pretty overhyped.
>>
Anyone have any cool recommendations for games along similar lines to The Little Prince and Sushi Go?
>>
Why do some companies use such shitty material for their boxes? My blood rage box slide onto the carpet and the print on the carboard got scrapped off. Onto fuck carpet. How?
>>
>>51173255
yeah I'm already intending on doing that, hopefully it'll work out fine

>>51173366
look into 7 Wonders or Nevermore for something similar to Sushi Go
>>
>>51170716
Get Chupacabra (Haywire edition has a really nice box, SJG is a tube like Zombie Dice) it's got really nice black dice with a red eyes on one face and glow in the dark on the other 5. It's not a great game, but you can play one handed while drinking, or having dinner, and I've found kids can play for 20-30 min without taking a break.

>>51173388
>love Mayday dexterity games
>koreans use fucking corrugated cardboard boxes
I'm starting to be ready for Asmodee to buy everyone if it means we get FFG linen finish boxes on every game.
>>
>>51173502
It's not like I need another dice game and I'm looking forward to buying Eldritch Horror, which is enough money spent for at least 2 months or so.
>>
>>51173502
>I'm starting to be ready for Asmodee to buy everyone if it means we get FFG linen finish boxes on every game.
I thought they published Blood Rage? Their box couldn't hold up to carpet.
>>
>>51173707
Nah it's CMoN, FFG boxes are the favorites in my collection, though I do love the inserts from DoW and Stronghold games.
>>
File: The Duke alternate board.png (1MB, 2250x3000px) Image search: [Google]
The Duke alternate board.png
1MB, 2250x3000px
>>51172785
I'd be delighted to do so. There's a freely available P-n-P version of the game from the creators. The only thing I didn't like was the default board because the squares are nearly identical in size to the pieces / chits which makes it a pain to move them without disturbing the other nearby chits. So I created a new image (pic related) with larger squares to use as my board. Feel free to use it. I printed my copies on marble textured paper for an even more stone like appearance.
>>
>>51173936
The boards are simple foam core board. I drew a grid on the foam core board to line up with the center of the squares on the printed game board (to be glued on top of the foam core). I then simply made small holes there and glued small 'rare-earth' magnets in flush with the surface of the foam core board. (5 minute epoxy works well for this, and it doesn't dissolve the foam like solvent based glues will.) Once the magnets / glue was dry, I then glued the printed alt board image on top, and then covered the whole thing with clear contact paper.
>>
File: Progress 02.jpg (181KB, 816x529px) Image search: [Google]
Progress 02.jpg
181KB, 816x529px
>>51174033
The chits were a little more work, but nothing difficult. The game chits were designed to be printed on a single sheet of paper - cut them out, fold them over and glue them together for double sided pieces. So all I had to do was print them on some basic card stock. (Scoring them on the back side where they're going to be folded helps keep things nice and square.) I also got some very thin / inexpensive sheet metal and cut out small squares to glue in the middle of each chit when I folded / glued them together. Instead of printing out white and light gray chits, I simply printed a 2nd copy of the white chits on colored card stock to make it easy to tell 'sides' apart. Once all was ready, I glued the chits together with the sheet metal in the middle, let them dry, and then laminated them for good measure. I made several sets at once and sent copies to a couple of friends.
>>
File: Finished 01.jpg (280KB, 789x588px) Image search: [Google]
Finished 01.jpg
280KB, 789x588px
>>51174166
And a finished example...
>>
>>51173936
That's awesome! How did you arranged the metal and magnets?
>>
>>51173936
>>51174033
>>51174166
>>51174215
Ignore >>51174231 I got too excited and answered before you finished
>>
File: 1396291152143.png (138KB, 391x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396291152143.png
138KB, 391x300px
>>51174231
>>51174366
No problem. Nerd-thusiasm FTW!
>>
>>51171019
The JS TM is very, very rudinentary
>>
>>51171163
El cheapo Rummikub, so I didn't feel too bad about it.
>>
>>51172847
Surprise buttsecks
Sneaky mofos, never see them coming.
>>
File: 1484207276889[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1484207276889[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Anyone else play/got FT:Z? These models are sexy as fuck
>>
>>51175244

Cover art also sexy.
>>
How is flash point: fire rescue?
Somebody close to me is selling it for 10 bucks and I feel like that's a really good price
>>
>>51175502
For $10, definitely.
>>
>>51175502
pretty fun for a gateway co-op, definitely a steal for that price
>>
>>51175244
Fuck that boxart looks good...sell me on the game. What's it like? How's it play?
>>
File: image[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51175502
What these guys said >>51175553 >>51175562
For $10 I would drive an hour for that game.
>>51175456
>>51175571
Hnnnng it is. I took a whole bunch of photos of the models and the art if you're interested
>sell me on the game
Card-based tactic horror game. You use cards to do certain actions and complete mission objectives all the while monster spawn and attack. I haven't played with others (forever alone) but solo with 2 characters was quite hard but rewarding. The CDs come with mission briefings. Kinda reminds me of a mix between Level 7 and Heroes Wanted...kinda
>>
>>51175502
>>51175562
This, if you find it feels too gateway after a while (harder to do if you play at higher difficulty levels) grab Dangerous Waters expansion for $8-15. Those two maps turn the volume up to 11; other expansions are also really good, and can allow you to tune the game more toward your tastes, but that single map expansion kicks the shit outta anyone I've played it with.
>>
>>51168454
Only the FFG games with Game's Workshop IP's are going out of print. ie - anything with Warhammer or 40k in the title and Fury of Dracula.
>>
File: IMG_0460.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0460.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Poor little white boy
>>
>>51168454
Lol, if FFG was somehow in danger of losing Chaosium IPs it would be time to shit bricks
>>
>>51177290
Wait, Mythos shit is owned by Chaosium? I thought it was all (or mostly) public domain.
>>
A few years back I bought Risk (the version with arrows instead of minis which I regret greatly) and played a few games with friends, some of them liked it others didn't. Now that I've been playing other games without so much reliance on RNG I can't stand it. Are there any sets of houserules I can use to make it way less rng dependent without taking away the feeling of getting "lucky rolls". I would like to keep it playable for people without meta knowledge or that know very little about strategy/tactics.
If there is no such set of houserules is there any other boardgame with a similar feel to it that can be played with people that are casual but can still get into a game?
>>
>>51177362
Buy kemet.
Use Kemet's combat cards in risk.
Then stop playing risk and play kemet.

The middle step can be skipped.
Skip the middle step.
>>
>>51177330
Arkham Horror and the Call of Cthulhu CCG were originally published by Chaosium before being licensed to FFG. Though the source material is public domain, original content created for the games and the Arkham Horror/Call of Cthulhu trademarks are owned by Chaosium.

Lots of the writing, original characters, monsters, and themes for the Arkham Horror universe were originally created for the Call of Cthulhu RPG.
>>
Can anyone help clarify something for me in one night ultimate werewolf:

Let's say I'm one of the werewolves and so I win if no werewolf is killed. During the night phase there's a chance my card could be swapped to something else (let's say a villager).

I don't check my card after the night phase so as far as I know I'm still a werewolf. So my goal is to try and keep myself and the other werewolf alive. The problem is that I'm now a villager so I really do want to kill a werewolf (but I don't know this).

Fast forward to the voting phase. Say we all vote and end up killing a werewolf; does this mean I win since I'm a villager or did I lose because I was a werewolf at the beginning?
>>
>>51178151
you win

part of the fun of the game is going into the discussion with one goal, and then slowly realizing through discussion that you have to switch gears without raising suspicion
>>
>>51178151
You win. In one game we had the opposite happen, one player was adamant another was a werewolf so we voted to kill him and the other player. Turns out he was right but his villager got swapped for a werewolf so he lost anyway.
>>
>>51177362
>>51177437
STEEV is pretty much right here with dumping Risk, another alternative is picking up Quartermaster General
>>
Anyone played Codex? Anyone played Mage Wars? What are your opinions?

LCGs are allowed right
>>
>>51168145
plebeian. it's plebeian.
>>
>>51180476
yes they are allowed but--even ignoring the fact that only FFG card games can be called LCGs--how can Codex be an LCG if nothing more will ever be released for it?
>>
Anyone else excited for the millennium blades reprint/set rotation next month?
>>
>>51181235
>set rotation
???
>>
>>51181425
It's an expansion
>>51181235
I've got it ordered, but it kinda just comes off as a "more content" update. New characters and sets for the pool in a game where you're already loaded with content. If the coop mode is great, I'll absolutely love it seeing it go even further as the Yu-Gi-Oh the boardgame I want it to be, but chances are it'll just be a throw away mode I play one mediocre game with and never again like Star Realms coop was.
>>
>>51181498
I think they should have had an overlord style player to play the bosses, big bosses in cardgames always feel kinda shitty.
>>
File: 1461631961699.jpg (382KB, 1920x1560px) Image search: [Google]
1461631961699.jpg
382KB, 1920x1560px
Going to see my dad this weekend. Should I play splendor or seasons with him
>>
>>51182351
Play catch or go fishing or something.
>>
>>51182351
Go hiking with him or something. That will impress him more than any flavor of your nerdy hobby.
>>
About to play a full house game of Virgin Queen. I am so happy.

We have three players who know the game and three newbies. How should we divide the nations?
>>
File: 1475541064431.jpg (68KB, 538x483px) Image search: [Google]
1475541064431.jpg
68KB, 538x483px
>>51182378
>>51182382
Would have asked on /out/ if I wanted to do something outside
>>
File: IMG_2899.jpg (346KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2899.jpg
346KB, 1080x1920px
Alright /bgg/, I've been toiling on devious endeavors the past week, and I think I found a pretty good way to store/transport those big ass games you've got sitting around, or games with a ton of expansions.

The answer is jewelry trays and cases they make for them. Pic related is an extreme example. I'm using it to carry all my wargames around with me instead a bag with just one system or another. For wargames I use magnets, because the foam alternative isn't very space efficient, but I digress. You could foam board insert the trays for various cards and tokens and all that.

You can get the collosal aluminum case that holds 2' worth of 1/2/4" tray for 80, or you can get the more sensible mesh bags for like 30 or so. Trays run 2-6 usd each.

I'm most certainly going to get another one for my kingdom death set. Went with the all original expansions pledge, so imma need all the space I can get.

Once I'm done and satisfied, I'll write up a guide if anyone is interested.
>>
>>51182572
On, Anon, we could show you show you fun things to do outside too.
And your father doesn't need to know~
>>
>>51181235

Is that when the Kikestarter's due to ship? I haven't checked it in a while.
>>
>>51182733
That looks like it's heavy... now you gotta get an armored truck to match.
>>
>>51182733
Think it'll for LCG stuff too?
>>
>>51182748
W-what are we gonna do? Play hive outside?

>>51182895
Comes into port from CHINA on 22nd, shipping start of febuary
>>
>>51183197

Yeah, going with the aluminum certainly makes it heavy. I mean, not unreasonably heavy, at least for me, but that case also has wheels and a extendable handle, much like a suitcase. If weight is a concern, or you'd want it cheaper, go mesh.

>>51183217

I think a small mesh case with a few 4" trays would work very well for an LCG setup. I've got the entire classic thunderstone set (deckbuilder, so lots of cards), and once I'm done with this big case, I'm certainly going to look into finally getting that game organized.
>>
So I really want a table for games, but u also would like some semblance of portability. Would getting a folding table then making a felt cover be the be see the option?
>>
>>51183332
Looking forward to the tutorial then, could help the organization for the AHLCG.
>>
>>51183424

I'm super excited about finishing it, and now that I've realized it has board/card game applications, I'm even more hyped.
>>
>>51181066
>>51180476
I wish I saw more Codex in here. It's pretty damn good.

And yeah, Codex is not an LCG, first because the "LCG" name is trademarked so it couldn't use it, second because it's meant to be a game that can stand without needing periodic expansions.
>>
>>51183383
Just drape it over
>>
>>51173127
>MTG pre-release weekend
Local little netrunner tourney going to be fighting this for table space tomorrow. There may be blood.

>>51180698
You're not my real dad.
I still habitually misspell definitely and it pisses me the hell off.

>>51183383
Felt a shit, develops burrs and snags sleeved cards and is a pain to clean. Game mat / mousepad neoprene material is best.
>>
>>51183383
Check out BGG there's some cool diy ideas there, I used the link below to help design a coffee table with a vault for gaming.
>https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1471747/build-gaming-table-150

>>51185073
>Game mat / mousepad neoprene material is best.
I'd argue really high end speed cloth beats it as a playing surface, but the problem is it's a bitch to find any that doesn't have shitty poker designs in it, or it's godawful colors; and since there's fewer places to find it, it's more costly than I'd like. Upside for neoprene is there's so many options for how it's laminated, color, thickness, and it's pretty affordable.
>>
>>51185744
Neoprene gets stupid expensive at table-size. I assume it's not cost of materials because people give mousepads away for free, but because it's a niche product that no one makes
>>
>>51186144
>http://www.hookloopoutlet.com/neoprene-sheets.html
Sheet big enough to cover a table for $50-75 depending what type you want, that's not bad if you're putting together a table or setting up a serious game room.
>>
>>51185744
Yeah, if I could find a place that would let me submit a custom pattern for speed cloth with a neoprene backing to give it a little sponge, I'd die happy.

>>51186144
Yeah, big single sheets aren't that bad - though I spent a long time being pissed that no one would sell me one long enough for my 8' table. Right now I'm using two 4'x4' wargame mats from inkedgaming end to end.
>>
>>51163956
hoped xcom would arrive by friday but it seems it'll come next week so we'll probably play dracula and 7 wondres again
>>
>>51181910
Eh, I feel like turning it all vs one would defeat the point. We don't really know how coop works yet, I'm curious about it. They probably get some super deck that gets randomly played, but then how does that scale with more players. Are they all trying to win? Are your totals added up? It's probably just some throwaway mode, but it would add to the value so much if they make it somehow good.
>>
>>51182733
Love to see a side by side of this solution vs the cajon bags people found last year. Load it up with games and take pics, I wanna see a FFG coffin box in there.
>>
>>51163956
>Almost the weekend anons, what do your game day/night plans look like?
Just yesterday I was set to play games, but 2 people didn't show up so we were left with the awkward number of 3 people. Played Santorini which wasn't a big hit because the guy there hates any "chess wannabes" and the girl hates abstracts. We played Stockpile which while not ideal with 3, was a surprisingly big hit, and then we played Flashpoint which was decent fun. The guy didn't like it because I guess he didn't like the idea of playing as rescue workers and having us fail to save people. We saved 7 out of 10 people, but some weird moral thing for him.
>>
Everyday I wake up and mourn that I was too late on the Space Hulk Death Angel train to get the expansions for a reasonable price
>>
>>51191162
Get Warfighter, shoot ragheads or nazis instead of genestealers.
>>
Anybody have pics of their collections?
>>
>>51165864
Republic of Rome but it's a huge mess. Not in a bad way mind you.
>>
>>51191580
You talking of shelved games, or of people's /bgg/ lists?
>>
>>51191779
Why not both?
>>
File: My Collection 2017-01-13.png (2MB, 1263x1533px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-01-13.png
2MB, 1263x1533px
>>51191806
Collection - sans a gorillian expansions.
>>
File: Gracie is curious.jpg (364KB, 600x816px) Image search: [Google]
Gracie is curious.jpg
364KB, 600x816px
>>51192129
And the reason I can't play multi-day games - solo or otherwise.
>>
File: collection.jpg (1017KB, 1766x1853px) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
1017KB, 1766x1853px
I have enough.
But Xia is still on my wishlist for later this year.
>>
>>51192155
so you don't know how to close doors? or is your cat that fucking important to you that you can't stand the thought of excluding it from one room in your fucking home for a few days? either way you're a sack of ass
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1857x735px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1857x735px
>>51191806
Here's what I've got
>>
>>51192248
Speaking of 'ass' thanks for taking this time out to reveal yourself as a dumb-ass who operates on clueless ass-umptions. My wife is veterinarian, and we have *A LOT* of rescue animals. Our large open basement where the gaming table is also happens to be the permanent home to several of them. So no, numbnuts, I can't just 'shut a door' and exclude them from their food and water, much less put them in with the 6 other cats, 5 dogs, 2 birds, the snake, the turtles, or the fish. But thanks for playing "I don't know dick and I'm not afraid to show it." Your prize for playing is a free one way pass to /pol/. Buh-bye! And don't let the door hit you (again) on the way out.
>>
>>51192345
Heh! Lots of classic Hex & Chit games too! (Fellow old-fag?) I see you also have Napoleon at Waterloo. I haven't played that in a long long time.
>>
>>51192390
>my wife and her son love animals more than me so i can't do what i want in my own home
wow man, your life sounds absolute insufferable. when are you gonna man up and leave the cunt?
>>
>>51192462
And be alone like you?
>>
>>51192424
Not quite and old fag (pretty sure 23 doesnt count as an old-fag) but i've had a grognard teacher who got me into those kind of games. Napoleon at Waterloo was one of the first. You play any OCS? I'm just getting into the system.
>>
>>51192480
Not alone, my wife loves board games. we actually have a game of TI3 set up right now, waiting for fiends to come by tomorrow and finish it up. But I guess if imagining I'm lonely will help you feel better about your undeniably sad existence then there's nothing I can do to stop you, gaylord.
>>
>>51192462
> I'm a bitter lonely fag - my life and times...

So, how is that empty apartment of yours? Or are you still living in the parents basement?
>>
>>51192574
see >>51192560
>>
>>51192480
>>51192574
not even who you're talking to, but this is the most obvious samefag I've seen in a long time
>>
Anyone here back GloomHaven? Is it good?

Also are there any other dungeon-crawlers out there with euro-style gameplay? Or anything similar to Mage Knight/Star Trek Frontiers?
>>
>>51192491
>(pretty sure 23 doesnt count as an old-fag)
Definitely not! <Damn kids! Grumble Grumble...> I'm double your age plus change...

> You play any OCS? I'm just getting into the system.

I have not. Most of my gaming group isn't into / or doesn't have the time for any of the longer classic war games. However I got Quartermaster General recently and I'm confident I can get a couple of my regulars to play that from time to time. Advanced Squad Leader on the other hand...
>>
what's a good tow player game I can play with my borderline retarded sister? I got no friends
>>
>>51192720
odin's ravens
the duke
jaipur
all easy to teach but still fun
>>
>That Kickstarter board game that never got picked up for another print run that you really want
What's her name /bgg/
mines catacombs 3rd Ed.
>>
File: asmcnm01_1.jpg (63KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
asmcnm01_1.jpg
63KB, 500x419px
So I never heard. What was the verdict?
>>
>>51192789
The Crysis board game seemed like it might have some fun ideas and never made its initial goal, due to ridiculous German production costs.

Catacombs would have been pretty cool though.
>>
>>51192821
I've heard it's a damn good game but unless you backed it on kickstarter then there's a lot of content that you can't get
>>
>>51192720
Tsuro
Blokus (there's a two player version)
>>
>>51191779
Shelf pictures, but either is fine
>>
>>51192848
Well, I guess that answers the question of whether I want it. The answer is fuck those people. Sell me shares or a product--kickstarter can fucking blow me
>>
>>51192821
Its a blatantly sexist game that no one with anyone sort of moral compass should ever get within a 10 mile radius of.
>>
>>51192789
>>51192840

Wasn't Catacombs 3rd Edition available earlier this year during the Catacombs and Castles Kickstarter? (With the Caveat that you had to back a pledge containing Catacombs and Castles and not just Catacombs 3rd Edition)
>>
>>51192390
The concept of marriage scares me because of the mere possibility of ending up like this faggot
>>51192958
Kek
>>
>>51192848
I assume it's still possible to find a scalper, or are those fucks asking for a literal million dollars?
>>
>>51193088
Yeah I think so, but the thing is it never got a full production run, or at least I think so. So now the copies that are for sale are scalped to hell and back. Which sucks because I love dexterity games and dungeon crawls
>>
>>51192821
Great game with way too many exclusives for me to care.
>>
>>51192821
Literally one third of a game
>>
>>51192895
Well, KS is selling you a product. It's also manipulating you with artificial urgency, in this case. Most board game KS's are basically preorders.
>>
>>51193881
The thing is some of the most successful boardgame Kickstarters have no exclusives. Being told "you're getting these promos for free" and "you're getting these promos for free and no one else gets them" doesn't seem to correlate with any increase or decrease of success. Maybe tiny ones but at the cost of sabataging your sales in the long run, especially when those promos could be sold for even more profit. Just look at how ridiculously Scythes pack of 4 cards and metal coins sell.
>>
>>51194210
This game was offered threeish years ago, when we didn't have that kind of data.
Mythic Battles really has no excuse, though.
>>
>>51194834
At least SOME people are learning. Xia's second Kickstarter made only one tiny thing exclusive and they're talking about selling a recolor of it on the side.
>>
Cube Quest came ......and my mats were creased :(
>>
>>51195928
Contact Gamewright, I seem to recall this happening to more than one person who got replacements and posted about it on BGG.
>>
>>51165737
>I'd actually personally put it in third place on that metric

What's your 1st and 2nd then?
>>
>>51195988
yeah, I sent them an email already but I was kinda hoping this had been sorted.
Played some games with my brother tho, even with the creased mats the game is quite fun
>>
>>51192390
i used to think the whole cuck thing was a meme until i started reading shit like this....yet another man willing giving up all his freedom because he settled down with some depressing whore instead of actually having the self respect to find a quality partner. sad, really
>>
lol i feel like a tard now, been playing solitaire space hulk death angel with 3 marines instead of 6
>>
What are some good solo games that are on TTS?
>>
>>51196149
Easier or harder with 3?
>>
>>51196361
I mean, this may seem like a strange question, but due to the way some games work you want to play with less players. I'm rather convinced that Alien Legendary DBG and Villains Unite (or whatever the co-op mode for Cryptozoic's DC DBG is called) are unwinnable with more than two people because of this.
>>
>>51196361
have yet to play with 6 but ive gotten to the 3rd location a few times with 3 marines
feels a little cheap when you get 3 minor spawns in a row on soltaire tho
>>
Help me /tg/, you're my best hope.

I'm looking to start a collection of board games. I'm primarily interested in small boxes with depth of play but easy to grok rules. Large boxes that can be adapted to smaller boxes are also good. Something like the original Citadels by Bruno Faidutti is perfect. I'd like to get games with a variety of mechanics and playstyles and "weight" to suit all sorts of players and variable amounts of free time.

Besides the small boxes, I'm also looking for a one or two "heavy" game for all-day sessions with good replay value. This game also gets an exception to my "small boxes with depth" rule.

The reason I'm looking at smaller boxes is because I don't want the collection taking up ridiculous amounts of space. I've seen what happens to people's collections, and I know a few people who basically use other people's cupboards as storage space for their games. (PROTIP: If anyone ever lends you a game without setting a strict return date, that's the reason.)

Games I've considered so far:
- Biblios, Modern Art (Riener Knizier auction games)
- Carcassone (tile/worker placement)
- Cityscape, Pueblo (building with blocks)
- Coup G54, Secret Hitler, One Night Werewolf, Mascarade, Room 25, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong (bluffing games)
- Citadels Black City, Puerto Rico (role selection)
- FUSE, Wok Star (real time shouting)
- The Game: Extreme, Hanabi (pure Co-op)
- Impulse, Icehouse (abstract strategy, real time, multiplayer)
- Masques (not sure on this one)
- NYSE (simple in-betweeners for short downtimes)
- Jungle Speed (dexterity games)
- Star Realms (deckbuilding)

For the large game, I'm thinking one of the following:
- Space Cadets Dice Duels
- Terra Mystica
>>
>>51197058
>Wok Star
Fun but do you really want to give Game Salute money?

Also consider Raptor, For Sale, Diamonds, Nyet!, and the entire Kosmos 2p line; all small boxes, all big hits with my groups.
>>
>>51197275
I considered For Sale for the auction game slot, but the rules didn't really seem as interesting as Biblios or Modern Art. I'm not planning to get everything on the list I posted in >>51197058, only one per group. But that said, maybe I could put For Sale in the in-betweener/simple group?

Ideally I'd have a small collection that runs the gamut of tastes across mechanics, genre (SciFi, Fantasy, modern, etc) and complexities (Old Maid right up about Agricola).
>>
File: IMG_3787.jpg (64KB, 415x308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3787.jpg
64KB, 415x308px
>>51163956

Played this classic tonight! Great, simple fun! Anyone ever played it?
>>
>>51197346
Biblios definitely has more crunch, and it's very good; I recommended For Sale for the same reason I recommend Splendor to people, it hits the table a lot. Meetups, cons, board game nights at local stores, it's one of those games I see played all the time, and I'm not really sure why. I love both games but aside from being distillations of the mechanic neither one really jumps out at you. Totally with you on building collection across genres slowly and as compact as possible, having fewer games means you get to love each one more.
>>
>>51196149
I don't know why this was so funny to me
>>
>>51192821
Skirmish/Crawler of the year every year IF half of it wasn't KS exclusive.
>>
>>51197058
>Dice duel or Terra mystical
Nearly like asking if you should buy a band saw or a Kalashnikov.
>>
>>51198246
I'm aware of the irony given that I said I wanted a heavier game for that slot. However, Dice Duels is there because of the leanings of my playgroup. I might end up getting Dice Duels plus a heavy game, but for the time being, I just want one of them. Our playgroup already has Captain Sonar for team shouting and Scythe for crunchiness, so I'm not really sure which way to lean.
>>
Is Mechs and Minions good?
>>
>>51197058
Battlecon is really good, but the box recommended for beginners is a bit large compared to something like, say, Citadels. But still on the smaller side of the spectrum. It's pretty simple to grasp, but most of the rules hang ups come from the specifics.
>>
>>51197275
What's wrong with Game Salute?
I was gonna back a KS they had, but didn't in the end.
>>
>>51198731
It's... polarizing.
>>
>>51198731
does the idea of playing LoL: The Boardgame appeal to you? if it does you'll probably like it
>>
>>51198731
If 0 is the worst garbage ever to exist and 1 is a gift from God and we're using Boolean logic then MvM is a 0.5
>>
>>51198731
Yes. At least I think so. Coop programming is a great combination as you step on eachothers toes but in an unoffensive goofy way and by about the third level you're pretty packed on features. It's polarizing because:
1. It's lighter than people buying a $75 game are used to.
2. People REALLY hate Riot and everything League of Legends around here
3. The early campaigns are pretty bland as it acts as a tutorial for all the features.
>>
>>51199014
>1. It's lighter than people buying a $75 game are used to.
This is the main crux of my disappointment. I've only ever payed more than $65 for Virgin Queen and Dune, and Virgin Queen was $65.48.
>>
>>51199574
I don't feel like it's inherently a flaw. You're not shorted on content in terms of the campaign or replayability or anything. Hard mode even extends it a decent deal for people looking for a challenge. It's just usually when you get a ton of models. It's just not particularly deep, which is what's generally expected out of a box full of models.
>>
>>51200552
My opinion is quite the opposite, really; the resemblance of the game's bits to the objects or concepts their representing seems to be inversely proportional to the depth of the game. I saw the game's components "4 character models, 100 mook models, 1 boss model" and immediately knew it'd have all the depth of a kiddie pool.
>>
>>51199014
Not that guy but curious about the programming aspect. For people who enjoy games like Minecraft, SpaceChem, Alchemical Codex, Terraria, will they get their programming fix out of this game?
>>
>>51200733
>SpaceChem
They're too analytical/autistic for this game.
>>
>>51200747
So MvM won't scratch my programming itch? Gotcha.
>>
>>51192632
I backed it, hasn't been delivered yet so can't comment on how it plays. Its getting painfully close though, ship just pulled into port for US backers.
>>
>>51200733
Would you mind expanding on that? I've seen/heard about Minecraft and Terraria and I can't see how they relate to programming.
>>
File: zx01_sample.png (432KB, 600x394px) Image search: [Google]
zx01_sample.png
432KB, 600x394px
Going to play some Doom today for the first time. Hopefully its fun.
>>
>>51201689
Let me know your thoughts anon. I haven't been able to break mine open yet and it's killing me
>>
What are some good games to play if you like Catan. My group only plays Catan together but I want to try and broaden their horizons
>>
>>51202068
No offense my dude, but this is asked like five times a thread. I'll give you the standard answers though, Power Grid for a medium weight game and Terra Mystica for a heavy weight. Cyclades and Mare Nostrum are also worth checking out, as well as the Civilization game with the expansion.
>>
>>51202133
>but this is asked like five times a thread
I wonder if we get an FAQ pastebin going for Catan, Carcasonne, Betrayal, Descent (these 4 I see most often), and moving away from the "classics".
>>
>>51198762
>https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171113/game-salute-cautionary-tale
My favorite is the rocket ship shaped Alien Frontiers dice, which went 3 years overdue and then got cancelled altogether.
>>
>>51201667
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Redstone
>>
>>51202068
Not mine, but a classic reply looking at alternatives to Catan...

If you like dice rolling that decides what actions you can do or gives you resources:
- The Castles of Burgundy
- Stone Age
- Troyes
- Macao
- King of Tokyo
- Bora Bora
- Seasons
- Takenoko

If you like a variable board that changes every game:
- Dominant Species
- Mage Knight
- Sid Meier's Civilization
- Antiquity
- Targi
- Archipelago

If you like building a connected network:
- Terra Mystica
- Power Grid
- Brass
- Keyflower
- Hansa Teutonica
- Ticket to Ride
- Roads and Boats
- Trains
- Thurn and Taxis
- Myrmes
- Vegas Showdown
- Hacienda
- The Great Zimbabwe
- Many, many train games.

If you like trading/negotation:
- Civilization
- Twilight Imperium
- Archipelago
- Diplomacy
- Bohnanza
- Santiago (bonus category: If you like being a dick...)
- Werewolf, Two Rooms and a Boom, The Resistance, or any other social deduction game
>>
>>51202428
Ahh, definitely a different kind of programming than the one used for board games, which is usually "presetting a list of actions that is later executed, usually simultaneously with other players". Closest in concept are probably any engine building game I think, though not by much.
>>
>>51202189
>I wonder if we get an FAQ pastebin going for Catan, Carcasonne, Betrayal, Descent (these 4 I see most often), and moving away from the "classics".

Thinking along those lines - when it comes to rating games in general, what is the consensus (if any) on what would be considered a 'light' vs 'medium' vs 'heavy' board game? It would be interesting (to me anyway) to see what most Anons think when it comes to weighing games in the various categories.
>>
>>51200635
I'd rather a game find a way to do a lot with a little than a little with a lot. They find a good amount of ways to work with those simple resources to keep the game fresh, and as a benefit it makes 100 minions feel not very fiddly. Maybe a second boss could have been interesting, albeit probably not that different, but I could only see myself disliking the game if it tried to diversify the minions and creating a headache there.
>>
>>51202647
I go with the BGG ratings for weight, 1-2 is light/family/kids, 2.5ish-3.5ish is med, over 3.5 tends to be what I'd call heavy. The scale there is kinda wonky though, people seem to rate based on length of the game as much as complexity, and the high end of the scale isn't really used as much. For instance Stone Age has a rating of 2.51, despite being pretty much seen as a family intro to worker placement; at the same time Istanbul (what I'd call the start of the medium weight tier) has a 2.62 rating. It's prolly skewed because of the user base being more serious gamers; just searched 4.5-5 games, all I see is ASL and Campaign for North Africa.
>>
>>51202922
>For instance Stone Age has a rating of 2.51, despite being pretty much seen as a family intro to worker placement
Seems about right honestly, even the easiest of euros can still be pretty daunting to those who have never played them. For comparison, Jaipur is 1.54 and Flashpoint is 2.21.
>>
>>51200759
"Programming" was first devised as a mechanic with Robo Rally, where the players are choosing actions for autonomous robots. Mechanically, it's equivalent to BASIC instructions with nary a GOTO
>>
>>51202477
Is ticket to ride really that good? I've played it a few times but I was never really impressed with it
>>
>>51202351
>https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171113/game-salute-cautionary-tale

Fuck the one Game Salute kickstarter I backed out of was the one where they pulled through, fulfilled timely, entirely and satisfactorily. I wanted those sexy Keyflower expansions...
>>
>>51203144
The impressive thing about it is its elegance and simplicity. It literally has 5 rules.
>>
>>51203144
It seems kinda boring on paper but it's nice because it's super easy to teach to anyone and it's actually quite fun when playing
>>
>>51203016
No I'm pretty much on board with what you're saying, I just wish there was a better point at which to separate family from med weight. X-wing currently has a 2.47 rating, and while the idea of place template, move, roll dice is pretty simple, I'd argue with all the expansions, and the rules having expanded over the course of 4+ years it's definitely med weight and should have something more like a 2.6-2.7 rating. Can I teach the core set as a family game? Sure, but that doesn't mean the game itself is medium weight. It goes back to the fact that the higher end of the scale isn't used hardly at all, TS is at the start of the "heavy" ratings with a 3.52, the highly rated really dense stuff like TM and TtA hovers around 4 (3.9 and 4.2). It's like everyone's willing to rate that kid's game you got from HABA as a 1, but is afraid to admit a game is too weighty for them and is a 4 or 5.

>>51203152
Yeah they've done a few projects on time (I know Vasel took a lot of shit for using them on Nothing Personal til it delivered) but the company isn't one I'd trust. They also tried to keep most of their games only on their own store, so you couldn't get stuff discounted. I might like AF but I don't like it for full retail. Think the policy has been slackened in the last couple years but still, it's not really consumer friendly.
>>
Rec me a fun cooperation game for 2 players and more. I already have Pandemic and would like something alike.
>>
File: 1356435013287.jpg (165KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1356435013287.jpg
165KB, 600x900px
>tfw playing seasons with my dad
I got destroyed
>>
File: 1474245808733.jpg (135KB, 659x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474245808733.jpg
135KB, 659x900px
>>51202477
What if I like all of those aspects, and want them in one game?
>>
>>51203990
Settlers of Catan
>>
>>51203797
Not sure what your tastes are, but you might look at:

Forbidden Island (kind of basic - good with younger players or those looking for light weight games)
Forbidden Desert (more challenging - might be more what you're looking for)
Robinson Crusoe (often more challenging than Pandemic - has an expansion and some interesting add-ons from board game geek store too.)
>>
>>51203990
Survive: Escape from Atlantis (assuming you count finding a way to the edge as building a network, and begging your wife to not sink that boat that has 2 of your meeples and one of hers as "negotiation")
>>
>>51203990
The problem with Catan is its dice mechanics. You make a strategy first, and then *HOPE* that random dice rolls don't fuck you over. Winning a game of Catan doesn't require executing the best strategy - merely getting the most favorable rolls. Games like Roll for the Galaxy and Alien Frontiers have you roll first and then use the results in the most strategic way.
>>
Guy at local netrunner tournament is a near photocopy of the "All the game's you like are bad" dude. Involuntary need to give him crap for all the terrible jokes in those videos is building.
>>
If I had a choice between one night ultimate werewolf, one night ultimate daybreak, or one night ultimate vampire which should I get?
>>
>>51204616
>tfw nobody plays netrunner near me
>>51205824
One Night Resistance
>>
>>51204108
Catan played with a dice deck is a perfect game.
>>
>>51205824
Werewolf>vampire>daybreak
>>
>>51205917
Seconded, resistance/revolution is top choice.
But the player aids are cancer.
>>
Any anons played Terraforming Mars yet? All the reviews feel too hyped for me, would like to see some angry neckbeards point out it's many (if any) flaws.
>>
>>51207271
Lives up to the hype for me. As long as you play the drafting variant. Only negative for me is the component quality. Player boards are flimsy and some of the graphic design is weak.

Can't wait for the expansion they just announced.
>>
WHATS A GOOD SOLO GAME THAT IS ON TTS FUCK
>>
>>51207433
Terraforming Mars
>>
>>51206391
Also the choice to make the rebels blue and the government informers red throws me every time. Every other game has those colours in reverse, why the hell did they feel the need to change it for this game?
>>
>>51207271
Eh, felt pretty mediocre to me. There's a bit of extraneous fiddle-faddle around a basic build your engine game. I didn't find any particularly interesting decisions to be made, the best cards to play out of the draft are usually blatantly obvious and keeping an eye on the surrounding busywork is just a chore.
>>
Anyone wanna come over to my house and play seasons
>>
File: pic2225180.jpg (516KB, 1560x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pic2225180.jpg
516KB, 1560x1000px
>>51208790
God I would in a heartbeat....

So I just got pic related for 32 sleeved, played only once. Howd i do? It's my first legendary encounters game. What am I in for. I think I'll be soloing it for a while.
>>
>>51201892
It was fun. We played the tutorial and the first mission. I played the invader and got stomped, but everyone enjoyed themselves.
>>
Went to a meetup today. Managed to play quite a few of my games, which was pleasantly surprising.

>Escape The Nightmare (mine)
Real-time co-op card game that involves trading cards, doing the odd things on that card and not dying to horrible nightmares. Stressful, but in a fun way.
>Braggart (mine)
Always good fun, but somehow we managed to get somebody playing who got analysis paralysis when it came to his boasts. Yeah, I don't know how either.
>Game of Thrones: Hand of The King
Played the four-player team version with two kids and their dad, which was interesting, then the two-player version with some nice girl who wanted a quick game.
>Medieval Academy (mine)
Bought this at a con because Zee from Dice Tower was raving about it a while back. It took a while to figure it all out, but we had fun.
>Power Grid
I lost quite badly, due to my falling into the trap of not expanding enough early on, and relying too much on wind farms... to be fair, I haven't played the game for about two years. Also, I accidentally got that stupid Warehouse promo card, and overpaid for the Theme Park promo which ate into my funds a little more than I hoped.
>>51165864
Junta is pretty much exactly what you want... but good luck finding a copy. On a tangential note, can you guys tell me which version of Tropico is best?
>>51205824
I'm not a huge fan of Daybreak... mainly because somebody insisted on adding two Daybreak roles to the game of ONUW I was setting up, which meant we all had to listen to the explanations of what Totems did. Wouldn't have minded too much, but I had explained to everyone that I had to catch the last train home, and one guy kept holding his role card to his chest as I was trying to see whether I miscounted when dealing them out...

tl;dr, I'd recommend base ONUW
>>
>>51209590
>Medieval Academy
The rulebook wasn't wonderful when I playtested it, but if Sushi Go Party hadn't released this'd be my intro drafting recommendation. Seems like it got ignored due to the derth of really nice drafting games though.
>>
>>51209534
Do you know what you could have done differently as the invader to have made it more competitive?
>>
>>51210170
Well, it's not great tonight, to be quite honest - a few typos and weird syntax, and the layout was a little meh.
>>
How does someone with crippling social anxiety make friends
>>
>>51210526
Yeah I think the only reason we didn't have a worse time was I'd seen like 4-5 reviews and had enough of a basic grasp I could teach without relying on the book. Also felt like Splendor in that it was too big a box for the contents, but the production values were pretty solid.
>>
>>51210559
Get lucky
>>
>>51210559
Practice.
>>
>>51210559
Perseverance, and start online or in situations where you can bail out easy. It does get better over time, eventually, kinda.

Also new thread
>>51210698
>>
>>51209175
For that price & sleeved, you did fine Anon. :)
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.