[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 41

Forbidden Knowledge Edition

>Latest News
New 5e book announced: Tales from the Yawning Portal
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous, on /5eg/...
>>51085108
>>
>>51094464
This shit is what happens when you don't link the new thread
>>
>>51094508
Your mom didn't link the new thread.
>>
Question for DM's

Laptop behind the screen, yes or no?
>>
>>51094627
next to it for three quarters cover
>>
>>51094627
Laptop *is* the screen.
>>
File: Aladeen news.gif (3MB, 335x192px) Image search: [Google]
Aladeen news.gif
3MB, 335x192px
>>51094639
>>
>>51094627
> 2017
> Playing offline
>>
File: Lu7h2ej.gif (2MB, 426x239px) Image search: [Google]
Lu7h2ej.gif
2MB, 426x239px
>>51094575
>https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ
>>
>>51094347
>>51094282
Like I said, just because of all the extra skills? I'm also looking at the combat aspect of it.
>>
>>51094464
>Tales from the Yawning Portal
>Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and Whiteplume Mountain 5e conversions
>In one book

This is either going to be really good,or absolute garbage.
>>
I'm making some traps for my villain to spring on the PC's while they investigate the city, and just wanted some input on what you guys think.

So far I have the PC's getting trapped in an alley with a powder bomb and they have a few rounds to either get out, find the bomb, or mitigate the damage somehow. I also have them getting trapped in a kitchen where a few of the knives on display are flying daggers.
>>
>>51094732
More spells to pilfer from other classes too. Can pick from any spell list so it makes the Lore Bard so incredibly versatile in almost all situations.

If you want to go the red mage route Lore would work best. It's not that Valour is bad it just focuses on the physical combat side of things with the extra attack and battle magic effects.

Might be worth looking into some multiclass options too for extra proficiencies and utility.
>>
>>51094756
If they get Mike Schley to redo the maps instead of whoever did most of the maps for SKT, it should be great.
>>
>>51094508
It was archived, jackass.
>>
>>51094756
>giving even half a shit about Tomb of Horrors when WPM is there
ToH is a meme adventure
If you needed to name three good things about this book, you shoulda gone with Forge of Fury, SC, and WPM.
>>
>>51094766
How the fuck do you trap someone in an alley with a bomb?
>>
>>51094876
I have a fresh group of player's that have never lived the meme, anon. It's a rite of passage.
>>
>>51094893
It's a dead end alley, and the Villain locks them in with a gate. I'm kind of trying to make it over the top and dramatic.
>>
>>51094915
Even people who meme about ToH haven't lived the meme. People don't play it, don't want to play it, they just want to imagine that they do and then talk about it because other people who also have never played it are talking about it.

It's the Kim Kardashian of modules: famous for being famous.
>>
>>51094967
What I'm getting from this is that you're complaining about modules you've never played.
>>
>>51094962
What kind of pussy adventurers is the villain contesting that they can't beat a fucking gate? Climb over it, kick it open, do literally anything. It's a gate, not the doors of Fort Knox.

What you really want to do is back up an SUV or a wagon (conveniently the width of the alley) full of SNAKES and overturn it / park it there. The easiest way out (over the vehicle) is also the most dangerous, because it's FULL OF FUCKING SNAKES.

Then the villain screams from the other side, "FANGS FOR ALL THE MEMORIES" and fucks off.
>>
>>51094995
>defending modules you've never played
>>
>>51094999
I mean... no wait you're right that's great and fits way better.
guess I'm not in a clever mood right nowe
>>
>>51095018
>Implying
>>
>>51094811
Hm. Just what do you figure is the most well-rounded between the two, though? Still Lore?
Honestly the music thing is probably gonna screw me over because I have the overwhelming sensation that any DM I have WILL make me play or sing or the like with them.
>>
File: 1289781725086.jpg (48KB, 328x323px) Image search: [Google]
1289781725086.jpg
48KB, 328x323px
>>51090562
>>51090576
Not that guy, but these look like posts bitches would make

>Critical success doesn't really help martials in 5e. Rolling a 20 usually mean you are success since the DC is low enough.
Do you even Rogue faggot?
>How about, as a compromise, only the first attack of a round can crit fumble? So you don't make martials completely useless compared to casters.
>implying I don't critfail spells into explosions or wild magic
>implying I don't do the same to magically based ability checks
>implying a Lucky Halfling Diviner will save you from me
>Implying I'm even going to tell you I use critfails at the table and not just do horrific things to your character

Mmmmm, love that bitch taste
>>
>>51095094
what did he mean by this
>>
File: 1478717250164.jpg (255KB, 1280x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1478717250164.jpg
255KB, 1280x1122px
Hey guys, I'm in need of some pretty dire assistance with my campaign and you're the only option I have left because the people I usually talk to about this are either out of the country or in my session.

To keep things simple, my players are doing their first campaign that isn't just indiscriminate stabbing and they're actually doing sort of well. The big problem I have now is that I don't know if they'll be able to patch up the relations between the goblin and kobold factions. The issue with them not being able to do this will be the fact that they'll lose out on the goblin magic or the kobold engineering, both of which make the final encounter easier by far. To this end, I'm stuck wondering if the simplest solution to account for my players innate murderhobo tendencies is to give them the possibility to ally with the geese faction or just nerf the final encounter to account for the loss of a faction which took me days to make the first time around.
>>
>>51095125
DWARF FACTION OUTTA NOWHERE is pleased that you told the kobolds and goblins to fuck off
>>
>>51095075
Lore is typically seen as the best of the options. Focuses on the Bards strengths (versatility and utility) instead of trying to compete martially with much higher damage classes.
I'd suggest using https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html to find spells you like the look of and see if the extra stolen spells you get for Lore (along with mockery and proficiencies) will help with what you are trying to achieve.
>>
>>51095125
As a habit, I would just say bite the bullet and nerf the encounter, but I am curious as to how geese would help your players.
>>
>>51095125
You lost me at geese faction
>>
>>51095179
I've been looking at it, actually. The thing I've been wanting is something that's as good at spell-slinging as they are melee, but not necessarily the best at either, though I suppose that's a bit much to ask for.
>>
>>51095214
Well there's casty fighter subclass which is 75% fighty and 25% casty, and the fighty full-caster subclasses which are 25% fighty and 75% casty. Nothing really in the 50-50 range.
>>
>>51095156
I'd go this route if the players didn't already cause the extinction of the local dwarf populace by complete accident.

>>51095182
>>51095185
Well, they're not exactly normal geese. The explanation behind them is the creator of the place where my players and three lesser deities are currently trapped in accidentally created extremely muscular and bloodthirsty geese that have down which repels a significant amount of physical damage. Basically, imagine if Donald Duck had the physique of Senator Armstrong and screamed as he attempted to smash you with a club roughly his size.
>>
>>51095275
...they have opposable thumbs too? Dropped
>>
>>51095275
>cause the extinction of the local dwarf populace
The party deserves to die. Nerf nothing.
>>
>>51095214
Bladesinger might be worth looking into then.
You lose a ton of party utility in skills and are no longer the 18 CHA party face but you gain a ton of spell slots and melee ability. Go Int/Dex for a hard to hit, mobile spellsword stabbing and hexing all day.

Depends how much you value being a good talker/liar/con artist and how much you value literally being passable at every check in the game.
>>
File: tmp_images-89321271.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_images-89321271.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>51095275
I'm not sure what drove you to create them, but that just sound evil. I say see how the players handle it.
>>
>>51095214
Have you already discounted Ranger and Paladin? They're called half-casters, after all.
>>
File: 1382658294347.png (271KB, 636x480px) Image search: [Google]
1382658294347.png
271KB, 636x480px
>>51095302
There are more 'normal' geese, which have the same appearance as usual but are about three horses tall and not much use in a fight.

>>51095394
The thought came to me after playing Dragon's Pass and mixing together Olive Garden leftovers and booze.

>>51095321
To be fair, it wasn't their fault; mostly just bad rolls all around.
>>
Versatility and Jack-Of-All-Tradesiness (Not necessarily how powerful they are):

<Best>
Bard
Druid
Paladin
Wizard
Cleric
Rogue
Warlock
Ranger
Fighter
Sorcerer
Barbarian
Monk
<Worst>

That's how I'd put it anyway.
>>
>>51095268
Which is an annoying thing to me. Is Bard the closest thing to it? I'm just trying to broaden my ideas here. All I ever made was a Dragon Ancestry Sorcerer, and our campaign has pretty much 100% been confirmed to been given up on after 2 sessions, the DM can't adjust to the change from physical to Roll20 according to him
>>51095376
A good idea, but I'd definitely have to talk with any future DMs about it, because frankly I can't see myself using an Ellf.
>>51095419
I know nothing about Rangers admittedly, and I generally just skim over them, but Paladins seem a bit too...locked-in, with the Oaths and such, for what vague ideas I have in my head are.
>>
File: 1324271584968.jpg (30KB, 170x236px)
1324271584968.jpg
30KB, 170x236px
>>51094676
>online
>better than offline play

Online makes grids easier and gives you a larger pool of grognards to avoid, yay.
>>
>>51095666
You could always roll Moon Druid and have wild shapes for melee combat but still have a decent amount of spells on tap otherwise. You just can't do both at once until very late levels
>>
>>51094627
I think most DMs nowadays use tablets or laptops. I use my phone to send images of certain things to my players during the game but I'm 95% paper.
>>
Why is it that every time I build a character, I look at the numbers, either rolled or arrayed, and think to myself: "Wow, this would make a great half-Drow (SCAG variant) Warlock with Fey patron," and promptly proceed to create just that?
>>
Circle of Dreams good for a support-focused druid?
>>
>>51095666
Oaths are very versatile. You can easily skew the words of an oath. You could play any of the 3 PHB as evil, as well as oath of the crown, though you'd have to double check you're not infringing too much on 'I'm a Paladin but I'm SPECIAL' edgelording.

Paladin can heal, tank, deal some of the best sustained damage, deal some of the best burst damage, cast spells and has a control ability or two.
However, they don't have abilities like Wizard's conjuration 'conjure anything the fuck up' or skill checks across the board.
>>
File: 1455297885726.jpg (390KB, 1759x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1455297885726.jpg
390KB, 1759x2500px
>>51094464
OK /5eg/, hear me out.
My party is hitting level 8, and my moon circle druid has been feeling a bit limited lately. So today I worked out a new wildshape system with him. I'm planning to implement this next session.

>You have a number of Wildshape Points equal to the experience point value of a creature with a challenge rating 1/3rd your druid level, rounded down. On your turn, you may turn into a creature worth a number of experience points no higher than your pool of wildshape points.
>You regain half of your Wildshape Points after completing a short rest. You regain all of your Wildshape Points after completing a long rest.
>Once you expend the Wildshape Points for a form, you may switch between your ordinary form and the Wild Form at will until 1 hour has elapsed, or until the Wild Form is reduced to 0 Hit Points. You must then expend additional Wildshape Points to maintain the form.

So at 2nd level, you have 200 points to turn into animals. You can use that to turn into one big, strong animal, or a bunch of tiny animals. My player's druid would have 450 points to spend, and he could use that to turn into an polar bear, or maybe use it to turn into a dire wolf a couple times, or maybe he'll spend them on reconnaissance.

The only other important change is this:
>At 20th level, your pool of Wildshape Points is tripled.

So now you have 6,900 points to spend on beast forms. This would allow you to change into things like a tyrannosaurus, giant ape, etc., but only once, or he can turn into a mammoth 3 times, or a shit ton of crabs or whatever.

What do you guys think of this system? Workable? Broken? Underpowered? My druid player seems really excited about it, because he doesn't have to worry about spending a wildshape on a cat if he wants to scout ahead.
>>
>>51094627
Works fine. Honestly I mostly have the screen to hide dice rolls and to seem more ominous.

Then again I'm a drama queen and have heavily considered buying a fog machine for dramatic moments.
>>
>>51095757
That's because your DMs are faggots who roll and let you assign rather than roll in order.
That's the only true way to roll for stats.
>>
>>51095757
...Autism?

Or do you mean why do you always play that exact same character?
>>
>>51095817
>rolled or arrayed
>>
>>51095664
What's your rationale for putting paladin ahead of wizard and cleric when those two classes have ritual casting built in?
>>
File: Absolute agony.gif (1MB, 455x249px) Image search: [Google]
Absolute agony.gif
1MB, 455x249px
>>51095817
>tfw my group has too many minmaxing munchkin faggots so everyone is forced to use the standard goddamn array
>>
>>51095927
What minmaxer hurt you so?

I enjoy DMing for them if they're willing to still roleplay enthusiastically.
>>
>>51095858
Paladin has better armour, health sustained damage, single/double-target-burst-damage, healing. I'll admit that a wizard with a feature such as conjuration wizard's may well be higher, however. Also, those fucking paladin auras for +saves to everybody, wizards mostly support through battlefield control and buffing.

Cleric isn't as versatile on spellcasting as Wizard and while they have better health and armour, they're not good on sustained damage or on single/double target burst damage, I guess. Both wizard and cleric have better AoE damage than a typical paladin though, I'd expect, and the Cleric has maybe a wider range of support options.

It's quite tough, cleric wizard and paladin are all quite close to each other, I suppose.
>>
File: spoony.jpg (71KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
spoony.jpg
71KB, 720x405px
>>51095817
You forgot to take your meds again.
>>
>>51095953
>What minmaxer hurt you so?
The ones in my group who tell me I can't roll for stats because it's "not fair." They won't even use point buy FFS.
>>
>>51095842
Note that 'rolled' is in there at all.

>>51095927
Good. Rolled stats that aren't in order never contributed anything significant anyway. You sacrifice balance and being gauranteed to being able to do what you want for a tiny bit of variation, whereas rolled stats sacrifices balance and half your hopes of doing what you want if you have something you want to do in exchange for proper variation.

>>51095984
Fuck you Harold I can dream
>>
>>51095999
That's a shame. I'd compromise and have each person roll some stats.

i.e. 4 person group:
Each person rolls 4d6 drop 1 once.
DM rolls 4d6 drop 1 once.
Each person rolls 1d6 to make a pool of 4d6 drop 1 for the last stat.

Random rolls, but everyone is equal.
>>
So the the campain im planning im going to have a magic item shop in the hub town an idea im shamelessly stealing from the adventure zone
the idea is ill populate it with expensive but neat items after every adventure but to draw them to it in the first place i would try and get them to visit it before the first dungeon and have it "being renovated" and only have very minor magic items that offer small utilities, a pair of rings where one can cause the other to let out a loud ping noise, a magnetic bracer, a ring that acts as a lighter, small bags of holding ect ect
is this a decent idea or is it too soon for even that
>>
>>51095473
See what the players do, tell them about it and give them preparation
I expect a storytime from them and nothing less.
>>
>>51096039
>very minor magic items that offer small utilities
Sounds good. I love when DMs make cool items that have roleplay uses first and foremost.

I'd recommend you have a time after renovation where it sells useful stuff in combat but not quite +1 level. http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php is a cool tool I use for inspiration fairly regularly.
>>
Anons? Quick, easy problem for you; I got dared to make a 5e racial writeup for the Huldra (back-barked, fox-or-cow-tailed super-strong nymph from Scandinavia); how unbalanced is this first draft at it?

Huldra
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Fey Ancestry: A huldra has Advantage on saves vs. Charm effects and is Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Alpine Origins: A huldra is considered to be Acclimatized to both High Altitudes and Cold Environments.
Unnatural Might: A huldra's impossible strength gives it Advantage on Strength checks. It also counts as one size larger when determining its carrying capacity and the weight it can push, drag, or lift.
Back of Bark: At will, a huldra can spend its move action to assume the form of a tree; shape, species and status as living or dead are chosen each it assumes tree form. As a tree, a huldra takes up space as a Large creature, is immobile, and cannot physically interact with the world around it, although it can still perceive the world with its normal senses. Attacking a huldra in tree form is treated as attacking an ordinary tree. It can revert to its true form at will as a free action.
Fortune's Kiss: Once per long rest, a huldra can apply either a blessing or a curse by placing a kiss on a creature, a weapon, or a tool. A blessed weapon or set of tools grants Advantage to anyone that wields them, whilst a blessed creature gains Advantage on one ability score or skill check of the huldra's choise. Cursing instead imposes Disadvantage. The effects of Fortune's Kiss last only for 1 minute, whether it is used to bless or curse.
>>
>>51095125
>>51095182

Or don't nerf it, and let them fail
They will always remember that time they didn't try hard enough
>>
File: ()989.jpg (22KB, 349x344px)
()989.jpg
22KB, 349x344px
I wish INT wasn't the most useless stat in this system save for the dedicated caster classes.
Give INT some fucking utility, dammit. If you're going point buy there is literally no reason not to go 8 int if you're not an int-dedicated class. 10 if you're a bit less of a minmaxer and want to hit the int score of your average peasant. Which is still kind of embarrassing, really.
>>
>>51096262
What utility should it have?
>>
>>51096026
Actually there's a related method I want to try to see how it works. It's a little bit of work but I think it might be fun. Note that it won't really work with a group of 7+

>Everyone rolls 4d6 drop lowest 6 times, and writes them down in order
>If this doesn't create 6 arrays, the DM rolls the remaining arrays until there are 6
>DM writes down every array (starting from the player to their left), in order, writing each array on the line below the last one
>DM then draws a grid around the numbers, creating a 6x6 two dimensional array of stats
>(optional) DM quickly totals the lines, both left to right and top to bottom, vetoing the lowest and highest scoring lines. Alternatively, the group can decide which lines are veto'd if any
>DM presents the grid to the group, and they must collectively decide who gets what line. The lines must be used in order, but can be read left to right, right to left, top to bottom, or bottom to top. Once a line is used it cannot be used by another player unless they are reading it in the opposite direction.

This way people have some agency in everyone's stats, so instead of being jealous of what another player rolled, you actually want to give players good stats appropriate to their roles.
>>
>>51096313
That's really complex but it would be a good bonding activity for a session 0.
>>
>>51095713
I never had much interest in druids, but I'll give them a look, too.
>>51095799
I suppose they are fairly vague. I haven't settled on anything, but I'll give it a look, thanks!
>>
>>51096298
It should influence how many languages you can learn, just as god intended.
>>
>>51096374
That seems like a very simple conversation with a DM. If you asked me for that, I'd say yes.
>>
Would you play in a game where the DM said you can't choose feats instead of ASIs, but the DM said he'd reward feats in place of treasure occasionally?
>>
>>51096434
No, but I'd play in one where you were only allowed to take feats, and players could swap powers with each other via cybernetic implants
>>
>>51096434
Yes
I actually only let my players have feats if they find the NPC to teach them.

Make em work for it
>>
>>51094464
Has anyone experimented with randomized equipment rolls, like an old school dungeon crawler in the style of Diablo 2?

Like, something of a specifications variance amongst weapons? Maybe this greatsword is a hit die smaller but has some other effect to balance it out?

Was just a passing thought since my D2 playthrough just ended. Would be fun to fiddle with but I can live without
>>
>>51095978
so you don't understand what versatility means, got it.
>>
File: wolves_hunt_in_packs_Arisen.jpg (1MB, 3000x1460px) Image search: [Google]
wolves_hunt_in_packs_Arisen.jpg
1MB, 3000x1460px
>>51095802
I hate to be that guy in the thread, but could somebody give feedback on this please?
>>
>>51096629
TL;DR

If you have an issue and you think a wall of text like that is the solution, it's probably a time-wasting kludge.

A druid feeling limited is laughable. Tell him to look at what abilities he has besides wildshape. He's getting close to the levels where wildshape isn't enough to carry him by itself.
>>
File: whatisastrahd.jpg (64KB, 960x849px) Image search: [Google]
whatisastrahd.jpg
64KB, 960x849px
Im gonna start running Curse of Strahd tomorrow, 3 players one's gonna be playing either a war or light cleric the other two havent decided yet.

Any advice at all that you fa/tg/uys can give me?

I'm tempted to make the adventure more "Ravenloft-ish" sort of speak (use the optional rules to make it more gritty and stuff) but im not sure. I'm a huge Ravenloft fan but im tempted to run it a bit more straight and heroic since its the first time i run this particular adventure, and also the first time i run a published adventure at all (i've been DMing for 14 years)
>>
>>51095802
>>51096629
You could just do something simple like change the wildshape CR to level minus 4 so there aren't large swathes of time where a moon druid doesn't get any new wildshapes
>>
>>51096026
I mean that's fair enough but provides very little variation and still skews with balance in a way.

i.e. somebody plays paladin, somebody plays fighter. If you rolled great stats across the board, the paladin has been given a much bigger buff than the fighter, even though the paladin is already a rather strong class.
Or, i.e., somebody plays monk and somebody plays fighter.
If you rolled bad stats across the board, the monk's gonna suck.
>>
>>51096629
>You have a number of Wildshape Points equal to the experience point value of a creature with a challenge rating 1/3rd your druid level, rounded down.
jesus fucking christ you already need to stop.
>>
>>51096298
Skill learning, kinda like 3,5.
>>
>>51096780
All random rolling does that though. RAW, you roll your stats before you pick your class though, so you're only screwed if you choose to do it in reverse.
>>
>>51096804
Can you elaborate? 3.5's skill point system doesn't translate over well.
>>
>>51096374
Languages are honestly nowhere near useful enough to make it worth it, especially considering wizards can already just get a spell to understand all the languages.

>>51096262
It looks like they designed 5e with the policy of 'Let's make three great stats everybody wants and three stats only specific people want'.
>>
>>51096735
It's fatal as fuck, so keep in mind that.
>>
I wanna DM. Where do I start?
>>
>>51096561
Wow, you must be so smart that you don't even need to explain WHY people are wrong. They just are, because you said so. Congratulations, genius.
>>
>>51096859
Read the PHB front to back, then read it again. Then read part 3 of the DMG, it has some good DMing advice.
>>
>>51096831
You gain a number of skill proficiencies equal to your int mod if it's positive.
>>
>>51096889
That seems pretty reasonable, other than on a wizard.
>>
>>51096807
Well, yeah. But the question is are you getting your money back for the sacrifice of potentially nerfing/buffing people who insisted on playing a certain class or driving people out of playing a certain class/driving people into playing certain classes?

If you get barely any variation, you've barely gotten anything for that sacrifice. The only variation you've got is 'Each game, people have a different set of stats'. That barely means anything, especially if people haven't played lots of standard array games before.
>>
>>51096844
But is it F.A.T.A.L. as fuck?
>>
>>51096807
Step by step character creation.

Step 1, choose a race.

Step 2, choose a class.

Step 3, determine ability scores.

Step up your game.
>>
>>51096881
ok let me expand on that, dumbass, he lists paladins ahead of wizards and clerics on VERSATILITY because they combat good. Except the clerics and wizards also do combat well AND DO EVERYTHING ELSE UNDER THE GOD DAMN SUN.
>>
File: 220px-WATCHMEN_2012_OZY_Cvr.jpg (22KB, 220x338px) Image search: [Google]
220px-WATCHMEN_2012_OZY_Cvr.jpg
22KB, 220x338px
>>51096889
>high int
>proficient in athletics, acrobatics and sleight of hand
>be because of how smart you are
Makes perfect sense bro
>>
>>51096954
It's literally stated that it's not about 'doing combat good'.
It's about combat versatility, too. A rogue can fight in melee and in range. A Paladin can take a dangerous position in front of enemies and a safe position away from enemies. A wizard can't take a dangerous position in front of enemies without doing something such as a spell or taking a specific archetype, otherwise they'll get fucking ruined.

Combat has utilities as well as out of combat having utilities.
>>
File: lelelelel.png (649KB, 529x669px) Image search: [Google]
lelelelel.png
649KB, 529x669px
>>51096844
is 3 characters at lvl 3 too little? they are generally smart and resourceful, should i include a dmpc to help along?

>>51096933
i hope so
>>
>>51096979
It's sort of how it works in 3rd edition, and I was trying to translate that. You could limit it to your class's skill list.
>>
>>51096929
There's a tradeoff on every method. It's best to talk to the people you play with about how to do things instead of insisting on an absolute. That's why alternatives exist.

If I told the fighter player ends up with 18 16 16 14 10 10, is he going to complain there's a paladin in the party he gets more relative benefit, or is he going to be happy he has high stats?

If the group rolls low, is it reasonable to tell the monk player what he's getting into and give him an opportunity to switch?

Deal with the human element in a human way.
>>
>>51096889
>>51096915
>>51096979
>>51097022

One point of int bonus = one extra tool or language proficiency. Then give your players opportunities to use them. Or if you're a player, make opportunities to use it.
>>
>>51097004
so the wizard does, in fact, have archetypes/spells that can take on the paladin's role? That makes them more versatile than the paladin, since the paladin can't replace the wizard's role.
>>
>>51096933
Maybe, if you allow your players to rape that undead loli, slaughter those nigger noblemen or do some other fucked up shit. But that would obviously affect the general narrative at least in some way.
>>
>>51097056
>Ritual Caster: Wizard
What is the wizard's role anyway?
>>
>>51096126
cool and thanks, this will help make things easier on me
also does anyone have a pricing table for shit like armor and spell components and shit in general?
i feel like if i wing it ill be fucking it up
>>
>>51097035
Still, you're potentially having to say to the monk 'don't play that unless you want to suck'.
To be honest, the fighter won't noticably care, but there might be a subtle drop in overall game quality when people realize the paladin's great at everything.

There's trade-offs to everything but on the subject of 'roll and assign stats, unique for every player', 'standard array' and 'roll in order, unique for every player) then I'd say the standard array takes the highground of fariness, roll in order takes the highground of variation and then rolling and assigning stats does a bit of both but does neither awfully well.
As for rolling but everybody gets the same stats, it's a bit hard to place in on a graph, but.. It's only a subtle change overall. I think you'd do better to simply give everybody a free feat if you want everybody to have higher stats than the standard array so they can get feats easier without worrying about stats. That's what rolling for stats with 4d6d1 usually does anyway.
>>
>>51097096
whatever the fuck they want it to be.
>>
>>51097109
>also does anyone have a pricing table for shit like armor and spell components and shit in general?
yeah, it's called the PHB.
>>
>>51097131
I mean, I could change the dice method if I know someone wants to be a monk too.

I could do 3d6, lowest roll becomes a 6 instead of 4d6 drop lowest.
>>
>>51097109
>>
>>51097167
oh yeah i forgot about that part
>>
>>51097056
Once the wizard chooses that archetype, they can't switch. That isn't versatility. They lock themselves in at level 2.
They can change spells however.

They have spells and such that can take on some of paladin's roles (Say, support and potentially even tanking a bit) but they have to typically use resources such as actions and spells to do that. On that ground, sorcerers are actually more versatile because they COULD use their sorcerery points to melt and regain spell slots of levels of their choosing - but they won't, because they'd be sacrificing other things and it sucks in comparison to, say, land druid's spell slot regeneration.

The strength of a particular utility weighs in on overall versatility, to a point. A very weak utility contributes little while a very powerful and frequently used utility weighs in more, even if it has a limit where it's not really versatile anymore because it's the lone best feature. I guess it's like an exponential graph of usefulness to how much it's worth.

Still, as said earlier, wizard, cleric and paladin are all a bit iffy and quite close together in terms of utility, so I wouldn't say any of them are definitely more versatile than the others, but they are versatile in different areas. I'd say Paladin's more versatile in combat whereas a Wizard is mostly a glass cannon control+blaster. Paladin lacks out of combat utility, but has a range of very strong in-combat features. Cleric's somewhere between the two.
>>
>>51097225
>>51097231
and thank you!
>>
>>51096629
Man, level 8 is when druids can finally turn into shit that flies, he should be having a great time zipping around as a giant eagle.

One homebrew rule I have heard of and sort of like is the idea that when a druid uses wildshape, they're free to shift between that specific form and human form at will for the duration of wild shape (which is hours equal to 1/2 your druid level). Sometimes druids are gun shy about shifting since you only ever get 2 uses of wildshape (capstone aside) and so they want to avoid "wasting" a use of a class defining ability. Obviously you have to keep track of your wildshape hit points separately, because free healing just by shifting out and back would be bullshit. Keep an eye out for abuse, the idea is really just to encourage them to not be afraid of jumping into wildshape (especially as a moon druid)

Another thought - don't let your druids be limited to what's in the monster manual. I'm playing a druid right now and I reskinned a shit ton of beasts from the MM to give them a different flavor because he's an arctic land druid. So he turns into things like wolverines (giant badger), bison (giant goat), arctic fox (jackal), moose (war horse), walrus (giant sea horse) instead of the usual stuff. Pushing your players in this direction is only a little bit of work (check over their changes for sure) but goes a long way to making the druid feel more unique.
>>
>>51097197
But you're still under danger then that the monk might end up with some crazy stats and while the fighter might have the same stats the monk'll probably, at least for levels 1-10, end up with more AC and more damage as well as having that stunning strike coming in at level 5.

I think point buy or standard array is safe enough already, it's barely different to everybody having the same array, it just means that the classes are balanced as they're intended to be.
>>
>>51096179
Responding to reasonable critiques brought up last thread:

>>51091875
I can agree with tweaking Fortune's Kiss to only buff one attack roll/skill check at a time. Should it still be usable only once per day?

Also, just because some races work like that, doesn't mean all of them does. Look at the dwarf! For core traits alone, it gets:
>Darkvision
>Dwarven Resilience
>Dwarven Combat Training
>Tool Proficiency
>Stonecunning

And if you take the Duergar subrace, you get Duergar Resilience and Duergar Magic on top of that. That's four free weapon proficiencies, one free tool proficiency, Poison damage resistance, advantage on saves vs. poison and diseases, and a free skill proficiency/skill boost. Plus one or two extra racial ribbon traits depending on the subrace you choose.

>>51092039
Yes, Back of Bark is supposed to be a flavor ability that, at most, gives you a certain advantage in hiding (who's going to suspect a tree in a forest?), and at best it's a way to get out of notice.

...Maybe just make it a bonus to Hide checks in forest environments would be simpler?
>>
>>51097243
so the fact that a wizard CAN do it, but has to use resources or lock themselves into it means that they are LESS versatile than the paladin who never had a choice to begin with.

Right.
>>
>>51097295
>>51097295
You do you then. I'll keep running my games with group-rolled stats and enjoy it. I only offered a solution to the guy who wants to roll but has a group that hates having anyone get ahead on numbers
>>
>>51097329
Being able to turn into a badger for the cost of being a badger for the rest of eternity wouldn't contribute much, not because you CAN turn into a badger, but because you WON'T turn into a badger.

The Paladin's healing is relevant for as long as anyone has the danger of going down in combat, the Paladin's +Save Throw aura is relevant for as long as anyone makes saves, the Paladin's sustained damage is relevant for as long as you need damage and don't want to spend resources, the Paladin's burst damage is relevant for as long as you don't need the spell slots for other things/haven't used them already and you need burst damage for something...

The monk's stunning strike is relevant for as long as you have non-stun-immune enemies you want to stun that you can hit and you have the ki points to do so. While this is strong and very often relevant and ki recharges on a short rest and it only costs 1 ki point per stun, this is Monk's only ability.

However, Wizard's ability to cast 'Understand Languages' does not compare in usefulness to stunning strike. So Wizard makes up with it by having a lot of utilities like this, and some of them are pretty damn good. None of them are quite 'you can stun the fuck out of everything over and over every short rest' it adds up to beat what the Monk has.
>>
>>51097225
This thing looks great printed out, definitely one of my favorite resources
>>
>>51097330
Well, yeah. I agree with it much more than the roll 4d6d1 and assign type thing. Any argument I have against it is mostly very minor points because it's nowhere near as different to array as rolling stats - assign is.

Personally I feel you could have a very similar but more interesting affect by giving everybody a free feat.
>>
>>51097007
>should i include a dmpc to help along
Have you read the module? There are a bunch of potential DMPC candidates that should be willing to tag along. Ismark & Ireena, Rictavio, the wolf brothers in Vallaki... hell, homebrew some Vistani who will tag along for a while.
>>
>>51097445
I do the 3d6, lowest roll becomes 6 method and I give a free feat and I reward about 3 bonus feats over the course of 20 levels.

I didn't want to offer that up right away because of the REEEEE and fake I'll get.
>>
>>51096629
>>51095802
dunno if the numbers check out, but i like the idea, for much the same reason that "small" wildshapes cost less.
>>
>>51097416
>
The Paladin's healing is relevant for as long as anyone has the danger of going down in combat, the Paladin's +Save Throw aura is relevant for as long as anyone makes saves, the Paladin's sustained damage is relevant for as long as you need damage and don't want to spend resources, the Paladin's burst damage is relevant for as long as you don't need the spell slots for other things/haven't used them already and you need burst damage for something...

The wizard, through control spells, can negate the need for healing in the first place, wizards have sustained damage, they have burst damage, they can grant resistance to damage or disable enemy magic negating the need to making saves in the first place.

>None of them are quite 'you can stun the fuck out of everything over and over every short rest' it adds up to beat what the Monk has.
what is sleep, color spray, banish, etc.

Look man, I like Paladin and Monk, I like them a lot. But to say that either has a wizard beat in terms of versatility either tells me you don't know what versatility means, you are trolling, or you are just really fucking stupid.
>>
>>51097568
>3d6, lowest roll becomes 6
Wait, so... scores are 9 to 24? I feel like I'm not parsing this right
>>
File: Why am I in this party anyway.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Why am I in this party anyway.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>51097568
Oh dear god.

I'll still respect your right to do that, but...

Ugh. I can just imagine the stat and feat inflation.
I hope there's at least an extended list of feats or a 'your free feat must be from this selection of not-quite-the-best feats' thing.
>>
>>51097609
Nevermind I'm retarded and read it as 4d6 low becomes 6
Carry on
>>
>>51096744
...do you mean level DIVIDED by 4, anon?

Because level minus 4 means you'd get T-rex at level 12, then nothing ever again.
>>
>>51095802
Why not just make low cr shapes, those that land druids could take too, not waste a wild shape use for moon druids
>>
>>51097611
I choose the reward feats. I give stronger stuff to weaker classes and neat things to strong classes.
>>
File: 12669849865.jpg (19KB, 330x180px) Image search: [Google]
12669849865.jpg
19KB, 330x180px
>>51094464
Could I use 5e to run an Middle Earth campaign if I limited class and race choice, used the variant long healing rules and included injury rules to make combat more dangerous, and limited magic items?
>>
>>51097604
I'm absolutely not saying monk is anywhere near as versatile. It's the classic example of a one-trick-pony which is why I put it there.

If I had to think about it harder now, I'd probably say wizard is above mostly because the Paladin can't really do much damage at range (Which is kind of a big deal in terms of versatility, whereas the Wizard is pretty much fine at range and close range).

Still. Sleep, for example, isn't very powerful after the first few levels. Beyond that, it's mostly irrelevant though you might find use for it here and there.
Paladin's Aura of Protection is pretty much always relevant.

I probably overweighed relevancy a bit too much, but I can at least say that in combat a Paladin fills maybe an extra role over a Wizard.
They do damage (Sustained/burst), tanking, healing and support with just a little bit of control.
The Wizard does damage (Burst/Area Effect probably), support and control, I'd say.
Out of combat though it comes down to Paladin being sort of good at being a face, whereas a Wizard can sort of do face-like abilities with spells, has problem-solving spells and has knowledge checks.

So I'd at least say in a combat-only game a Paladin is more versatile in terms of if you look at roles, though maybe on how they do each role they're not quite as versatile (A wizard might have several sorts of bursts whereas a Paladin is pretty much chain-smiting). The problem here is I've been thinking too much in roles, I guess.
>>
>>51097742
There's actually official splats (not by WotC, but by the company that makes licensed LotR RPGs) for running Middle Earth campaigns on 5e's chassis. I think there's books for it in the Mega under Third Party.
>>
>Level one
>Passive Wisdom is fucking 22
>Investigation is 12
>Cantrip that does 1d8 damage that most creatures aren't resistant to from 80 feet
>Cantrip that can be cast on reaction that prevents melee creatures from getting anywhere near you
>Cantrip that makes learning languages pretty much irrelevant
>Discipline that lets me be proficient in theoretically everything
>Discipline that gives me a 120 range charm

Whats the Mystics weakness? I'm building one and it seems that its just anti-fun for the DM because you'd win almost every skill check DC.
>>
>>51097742
But there is already a middle earth campaign book written by Cubical 7 (the guy that did The one ring RPG). It's even in the troves
>>
>>51097679
Well, that's pretty much like magic items that only a particular character can use if you don't let them choose what the feat is, I guess.
>>
>>51097850

Immunity to Psychic damage/effects.
>>
>>51097860
Something wrong with that? I find there's at least a few feats each character would like to get but can't usually find room for with the provided ASIs, and they aren't game-breakers.
>>
File: 1483840912369.png (90KB, 157x499px) Image search: [Google]
1483840912369.png
90KB, 157x499px
Trying to make a dust genasi for 5e because i love the idea of being born part elemental but the 4 basic ones seem too...strong leaning.
however these dour fucker look like they'd make great necromancers

so im thinking:
+2 CON (from genasi)
+1 INT (they are said to be smart but sarcastic)
breathless (they are said to not breathe, but maybe i should change it to be the same as air genasi?)
darkvision (just seems like it would make sense)
lastly im thinking about adding some thematic cantrip that uses CON as it's modifier,something either wind or earth related
maybe feather fall?
source: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dust_genasi
>>
>>51097963
That's true, but when you've already given them a free feat and high starting ASIs they've already got 4 or 5 or 6 more feats than a usual character, that should be more than enough. Considering higher than standard array stats is like free ASIs to free you up to put the real ASIs on feats.

The deal is that it'd be nicer to say 'Okay, I've compiled a list of more flavourful feats, and you can choose one from this' or something.
>>
>>51097850
>Passive Wisdom is fucking 22

How in the fuck? What kind of tomfuckery is this?
>>
>>51098046
Get this.

I talk to them about it.
>>
>>51098051
3 WIS + 2 Proficiency + 2 Expertise + 5 Observant = 12

10 + 12 = 22.
>>
Sorry if I'm missing the rules, but do you only get one attack of opportunity?

>Arcana Domain Cleric with War Caster
>Melee range to an enemy
>Bard uses Dissonant Whispers on an enemy
>Enemy flees, provoking attack of opportunity
>Cleric casts Lightning Lure
>Enemy fails save
>Enemy takes 2d8 + 5 lightning damage and is pulled back into melee
>Enemy tries to run again
>Repeat for another five saves.
>>
>>51098051
Observant gives me +5 to perception and awakened expertise gives me an additional +4 to perception
>>
>>51098116
You only have one reaction so yeah you only get one AoO
>>
>>51098116
Opportunity attacks use your reaction. You only have 1 reaction per round
>>
File: 1448834631000.jpg (182KB, 764x744px)
1448834631000.jpg
182KB, 764x744px
>>51098110
>5 WIS +6 prof + 6 expertise + 5 Observant=22
>32 Passive Perception at level 20
Jesus Christ
>>
>>51096262
mystic take 3 could fix this.
>>
>>51097888
Easy, use Psychic focus to gain proficiency in Simple or Martial weapons, or depending on your playstyle stealth.
>>
>>51096262
Dude you should play a fucking mystic
>>
>>51098140
>>51098135

Ah thanks. So I might as well just grab Booming Blade instead, right?
I mean, if one means to maximize Potent Cantrip features..

>>51098121

I actually have PPerception of 21 on my bard as well

Base + Proficency + Expertise + Mod Bonus + Luckstone = 10+4+4+2+1
>>
>>51098206
Dissonant Whispers + War Caster Booming Blade is a nice combo, and a solid choice for an Arcana Cleric's cantrip.
>>
>>51097850
> Cantrip that can be cast on reaction that prevents melee creatures from getting anywhere near you

Which one is that? Mind Thrust is an action

> Cantrip that makes learning languages pretty much irrelevant

Can't communicate with unwilling creature. Also the text doesn't say anything about you understanding the target creature. Only that it understand you.

> Investigation is 12
It's actually 10 and Observant only apply to passive Investigation (the one that people never use).

> Discipline that gives me a 120 range charm
You can't use Broken Will until level 5. Occluded Mind is a bit broken but it's not charm and it's entirely up to the DM how the target will react. He can choose to screw you up like how Genies corrupt wish.
>>
>>51098067
Yes, and?

It's much nicer to look through a list of feats and think of the possibilities than ask 'Hey, I want this feat or a feat for X, can you give it to me?'
It at least lets them feel more in control of their path than negotiating some sort of feat.

Of course, it might require more effort on their part to look through the possible feats and it might require more effort on your part to make feats that might never be chosen to help pad out the feats list, but I'd much rather take advantage of something that's already there than ask for something I can take advantage of.

>>51098116
The only exception is UA content that is the tunnelfighter feat.
>>
>>51098244
>>51097850
Also... 37 point buy? What the hell is this shit.
>>
>>51098248
>The only exception is UA content that is the tunnelfighter feat.
The marking rule in the DMG also enables this, by giving you one per turn.
>>
>>51097459
Yeha, but i ment like an additional one. or is it too much?
>>
>>51098231

>War Caster Cleric
>Ally leaves your engagement line
>Provokes Cure Wounds of Opportunity
>>
>>51098244
>Observant only apply to passive Investigation (the one that people never use)
Nope, direct quote page 168

"You have a +5 bonus to your passive wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores."

> Also the text doesn't say anything about you understanding the target creature. Only that it understand you.
Wrong again, take two says the creature doesn't have to know my language to communicate with me telepathically
>>
>>51098340
> and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores

Are you blind?
>>
>>51098292
I rolled my stats with 4d6 6 times like the handbook says and got

>>
>>51098365
Are you? It says right there it also applies to perception
>>
>>51098368

enjoy your no-drawbacks paladin
>>
>>51098248
It goes like this:

"Name 4 feats that aren't GWM, PAM, SS, CE, or Resilient. You have a week to think about your answers. You might get some of them as rewards."
>>
>>51098181

You swinging a weapon for 1d8+mod per turn isn't going to be very strong at all.
>>
File: 1481260130190.jpg (71KB, 750x714px)
1481260130190.jpg
71KB, 750x714px
>tfw players split the party despite my best attempts to suggest it's probably going to get them killed
>>
>>51098392
and War Caster is on the not-available list too
>>
>>51098403
You don't have to kill them, you can just knock them out
>>
>>51095664
I vehemently disagree with pretty much this entire list.

However, my entire basis is from actual play and the guys I play with suck.
>>
>>51098340
Let's break this down just for you.

> You don’t need to share a language
with a creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, and the creature understands you even if it lacks a language.

You get this part right. The goblin who doesn't speak common can understand your telepathic message. Actually you can talk to animal or magical beast too.

> You can allow a creature to respond to you telepathically, but it must understand at least one language in order to communicate this way.

This is where you get it wrong. This part doesn't have anything to do with the previous part of the ability. You don't get auto-translation here.
>>
>>51098419

And maybe Lucky?
>>
>>51098463
You don't properly learn from your mistakes if there are no consequences.
>>51098403
Kill them. Kill them all and they won't do it again.
>>
>>51098403
Then give them some low level underlings to compensate for that and soak up a little damage, if that's an option.
>>
>>51098389
Oh you didn't get the point of me calling you out.

We're talking about "passive" Investigation and "passive" Perception here dude. You don't get to add a flat +5 to your "perception" and "investigation" skills. Only on its passive check.

So your Perception should be 7 and Investigation should be 6.
>>
>>51098492
>You don't properly learn from your mistakes if there are no consequences.
He can gear-reset them, imprison them, etc. He doesn't have to kill the right off.
>>
>>51098490
No I'm fine with that one. Considering my luck rolling d20s as DM, they need it to escape strings of critical hits.
>>
So, anyone know what the god that the amber temple was dedicated to was?
>>
>>51098324
It should be fine, there are a lot of really rough encounters in CoS
>>
>>51098686
There's a lot of little bits in CoS from Barovia's original world that aren't connected to any defined D&D setting. It's just there for DMs to work with if they so choose.
>>
>>51098522
Passive investigation is a mistake that shows up on some older character sheets.
>>
>>51098301
But you have to mark them first for that.

Anyway, neither of them applies to Warcaster, since they don't give you more Reactions but actually let you make Opportunity Attacks without using a reaction.
>>
>>51098836
Exactly, so off of that fact I can only assume Observant applies to the skills not just the passice checks
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Chronalmental

Added Tome of Beasts monsters up through Chronalmental (page 50-something).
>>
>>51098957
>>51098836

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/02/passive-investigation-check/

Your assumption is wrong again (and that didn't explain why you add flat +5 to your perception either). Just stop cheating via willful misreading.
>>
>>51098392
Eh. The reward part of that is nice, 'you did a thing, so you have this' rather than just from levelling, but..

It's still sort of taking the power away a bit. If you wanted a particular feat for a particular thing (Say, you wanted to be a sneaky bastard type so you wanted actor), then..
And I'd still disagree with not including certain feats like 'lucky' in there. Honestly, I'd say 'lucky' is a very strong feat, but it's not taken so often because it's no fun.

>>51098403
Hope they're smart enough to know to run if they get into big business.
>>
So I wasn't no here when the new book was announced. What has been the consensus on /tg/?
>>
>>51099126

>>51099073
You're doing god's work son.
>>
>>51099126
You suck and your opinion is wrong

About sums it up
>>
>>51099120
Well if they really want a feat, they can take it in place of an ASI still.
>>
>>51099126
>>51099146
The hell is a "priestess"?
>>
>>51099109
So whats my perception and whats my passive wisdom?
>>
>>51099176
A cleric in boobplate?
>>
>>51099109
>>51099179
Because if we do it your way I still get 3+4 on perception thanks to A Expertise and then I get +5 on just the passive check, still making my passive wisdom 22.
>>
>>51099179
Your perception is calculated normally
You passive perception is 10 + you perception bonus
>>
>>51098474
>>51095664
Well, after a bit of thought, I'd be changing it a bit and maybe bump wizard up a rank, maybe consider bumping up sorcerer a rank though maybe not, consider moving warlock up...
Overall hardly any change.

I'm guessing you've had a lot of people play, say, druid and just spam the same thing over such as turning into a bear and then spending all their spell slots to heal themself or having a fighter that actually achieves interesting things through roleplay?

>>51099154
Oh, I suppose so. They should have already very good stats anyway.
Certain classes like paladins and monks don't tend to have quite as much free space to do that, though, and if it's an otherwise highly suboptimal feat (Say, 'tavern brawler' when they're not making full use of the grapple), then... Eh, you can afford to be slightly suboptimal when you've got 3d6d1+6 stats anyway, I guess. Unless it's a hardcore campaign.
>>
>>51099209
10 plus 7
Observant passive bonus +5
>>
>>51099206
+7 on normal perception
+5 on normal investigation

22 on passive perception
20 on passive investigation

Sone DM never called out for passive check.
>>
>>51099253
>called out for a passive check
I see you have no idea how passive checks work
>>
>>51099220
>Unless it's a hardcore campaign.
I don't give +X weapons, armor, or stuff for saving throws. I do give magic items, but they add longevity and versatility instead of raw power. Every encounter is hard or deadly. Generally they need the high ability scores.
>>
My DM thinks readied actions go away at the top of the round, which is also when he restores reactions.

Is there any grounds for this?
>>
>>51099287
You just told me I don't add a flat +5 to my perception, so I undid that and calculated my perception normally after my Awakened Expertise Modifier then did 10 + Perception which is 7, leading me to 17 passive wisdom. Then I calculated Observant into my passive wisdom and still wound up with 22.
>>
>>51099307
Well, that's good to hear.

I'm sure they could do it with standard ability scores though get good scrubs win D&D
>>
>>51099310
RAW, readied actions happen "later in the round." The round passes when you go back to the top of initiative.
>>
>>51099179
And for mind meld. See >>51098482.

You can see how both part of the ability are separate.

You can talk to a tiger (lack language), but a tiger can't talk back to you (doesn't understand a lanuage)

Same thing apply to Goblin and stuff. You can talk to them and they will understand you, but the same thing might not apply when they talk back, if you don't actually understand their language.
>>
>>51099310
The PHB errata covers this specifically. "You have until the start of your next turn to use a readied action."
>>
>>51099310
>My DM thinks readied actions go away at the top of the round, which is also when he restores reactions.
>Is there any grounds for this?
Nope, hes got it fucked up, you only break reaction when you take damage or execute your attack.
>>
>>51099347
RAW also says before your next turn
>>
>>51099310
You restore reactions at the start of your turn. If you use a reaction on your own turn, you don't get it back until your next turn.
Your readied action goes away at the start of your turn.

I can't immediately quote either, but I'm about 95% sure that your DM is fucktarded or wrong. or both.
>>
>>51099361
He asked for the DM's grounds, I gave them. I didn't say the DM is right.
>>
>>51099324
First off, that wasn't me
Second, that's not even what I was responding to. Can you fucking read? I even quoted for fuck's sake
>>
>>51099333
They probably could, but I like the leeway it gives me to use NPCs and creatures that fit narratives instead of worrying about CR all the time.
>>
>>51099324
There is a difference between perception check and passive perception.

Passive perception is pretty niche and only use when you are not actively searching for something in particular (standing watch etc.)
>>
>>51099324
the guy meant that passive checks should never be called for, that's not how they work
>>
>hiding in trees waiting to lure and ambush a passing scouting party
>playing an illusionist wizard so I cast minor illusion into a bush and create a sound to get their attention
>scouting party rolls perception checks
>the two wolves roll nat 20 so my DM says that they know exactly where I am and run right up to my tree's base

Am I justified in calling bullshit on my DM?
>>
>>51099458
>the guy meant that passive checks should never be called for
So you have to change the rules of the game to prevent me from not being surprised by anything?
>>
>>51099442
And DM doesn't even let you use passive perception at all. They love rolling dice too much, and doesn't want you to auto spot their l33t ambush.
>>
>>51099481
its a critical success so.... yeah? right?
>>
>>51099481
They probably smelled you. Just be glad that something worse didn't happen to you.
>>
>>51099517
wolf rape?
>>
>>51099481
>nat 20
>skill check memes
Look just stop playing
>>
>>51099539
Anon, I said worse.
>>
>>51099492
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/30/how-to-use-passive-checks/

Passive check is the DM tool.
>>
>>51099576
reverse wolf rape?
>>
>>51099481
Eh, I'd say so. I'd also say you have the chance to react and begin combat before they move up towards the base, however, or I'd say that you may be allowed a stealth roll to beat it, though you probably wouldn't manage to beat it. However, I think they should have rolled investigation in the first place to determine whether or not the sound was a fake, not moving straight onto perception.

Either way, you're still doing well in the fact that you're up a tree and your opponents aren't.

It's a scouting party. They're looking for stuff.
>>
>>51099601
if youre a wizard cast *peanut butter on genitals* and enjoy?
>>
>>51099642
Prestidigitation can change taste right? Can you make Wizard precum taste like Peanut butter?
>>
File: pepe.jpg (52KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
52KB, 499x499px
>>51099599
So its like I said, you have to purposefully slow down your game to railroad my party into your l33t ambush? Sounds like
>shit DM
>>
>>51099628
>>51099481
Oh, alright, this is how I'd say it should have gone:

>you roll stealth against the wolves' passive perceptions. You might be granted advantage, providing the wolves wouldn't ordinarily have advantage (say, smell checks or something). You might get a +5 bonus, but in order to inflict the 'surprised' status on anyone during the first turn of combat you must beat their passive perception without the +5 bonus and they must not already be too aware.
>if you fail, they roughly know your position and may check it out.
>When you make the sound, you roll deception against the enemy's passive investigation. If you fail, they determine that there's an abnormal cause for the sound, but they don't know exactly what it is unless you fucked up big time. If you fucked up big time, they know there's a spellcaster nearby, but they don't know where.

At any time if the scouting party is suspicious enough they may attempt an active investigation or perception check instead of using their passive scores.
>>
>>51099672
this got into the realm of furry fantasy fast
>>
File: FGI4ubC.jpg (86KB, 400x514px) Image search: [Google]
FGI4ubC.jpg
86KB, 400x514px
>>51094464
Does anyone know if someone has already updated the old 3E Ghostwalk supplement to 5E? If not, should Eidolons be a full class again, or some sort of prestige class?
>>
>People getting upset about skill check nat 20s

Do you just not consider 20 + on nearly anything is going to succeed regardless?
>>
>>51099176
>>51099191
Am I the only one who reads Dragon+?
>>
>>51099930
> I want to jump to the moon!
> keep rolling until you hit natural 20 (with advantage to speed up the process and lessen the chance of 1)
> anyone can jump to the moon ~1 min on average
>>
>>51099930
The deal is the DM did perception to check out the illusion, probably, but then extended it to say because it was a natural 20 that they also then know the exact location of who casted it.

But that's incorrect, it should be more like >>51099741
>>
>>51099996
Probabaly. Is there actual material on it?
>>
>>51099996
Yes.
>>
>>51100030
Last few issues they have been endorsing DM's Guild material.
>>
>>51100070
Oh, nothing lost then.
>>
>>51099492
Your passive perception functions as the DC for stealth checks made by enemies. It's a tool solely for the DM to use.
>>
>>51100005
If you're a pedantic moron, sure.
>>
>>51099996
I really hate this trend of "plz install our app so u can reed aritkles" because that's literally one of the primary functions of the internet. It makes me immediately suspicious that they're trying to trick me into putting garbage on my phone that they can track my every movement. Especially when all most apps are these days are glorified fucking web browsers.
>>
>>51099512
>critting on skill checks
>>
>>51099832
Alright, I'll post some pics and just ask some mechanical questions of the thread.

I want to replicate some of the stuff found in the old Ghostwalk book for third edition. One such thing is the Eidolon class, which is literally taking levels in "Ghost". It was formatted a lot like other, shitty things in 3rd, including bonus feats. Luckily, a lot of those read more like class features and invocations style abilities, so I think I could whip up a real base class out of it all.

But there's one requirement that's problematic: You can't really start with Ghost levels. You have to die and come back as a Ghost. Which means you can't really have a 20th level Ghost (or can you?). Should I make it a 5-level class instead ala the Mystic or Rune Caster?
>>
File: inthetrashitgoes.gif (2MB, 580x433px) Image search: [Google]
inthetrashitgoes.gif
2MB, 580x433px
>>51100095
>Android Permissions

>Approximate location (network-based)
>read phone status and identity
>read the contents of your USB storage
>modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
>view network connections
>draw over other apps

Just as I suspected
>>
>>51099146
>>51099176
>>51099996
>priestess
>a class, not a background like Acolyte
It sounds like a slightly modified Cleric, but I bet it's shit. Is it shit? Can someone post it?
>>
>>51100172
They've got to make money somehow
By selling your data on top of everything else. Don't worry, people expect it, so they won't hate you for it, and the people who don't expect it are already doomed to it.
>>
>>51094627
Of course.
>instant access to all your notes
>instant access to all spell lists, class descriptions, and any system material
>instant access to monster stat blocks and images/descriptions
>>
>>51097844
>>51097859
Oh sick, this shit fucking rocks.

Follow up question: What would be appropriate monsters to use for middle earth? Some I feel like I could use more or less from the book (Wargs, dragons, giant spiders), and others I think would work well by swapping the stats with other creatures (using hobgoblins for orcs), but I'm kind of drawing a blank after that.

Some that seem obvious don't really work (the balor isn't really anything like a balrog), and others don't really have a great equivalent (the nazgul's steed).

Any ideas on Tolkien-kosher beasties to use that I don't have to make stats for?
>>
File: 1482391389853.jpg (21KB, 500x375px)
1482391389853.jpg
21KB, 500x375px
>>51098403
welp
>the two party members that opted to split died horribly despite fudging a few rolls in their favor

fucking rip. Can't blame 'em though, they were just rping properly for their characters.
>>
I really want to roll up an Oath of Treachery paladin because I'm a sucker for the abilities you get, but I'm drawing a blank on coming up with an actual character.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>51101143
Stupidity is not roleplaying. If they're in a dangerous dungeon and they decide to split, I suppose only characters who dumped their int at 8 would fail to understand that's likely to lead to death.
>>
>>51101143
That's just heartless.
Splitting, if justified, is a fairly tacticool decision that shakes things up a bit, I don't think killing them was necessary.
>>
I remember that at one point there was a little PDF floating around that had a list of all the Races/Classes/Backgrounds/Feats that were listed in all the official 5e books to date.

Does anyone have a copy of that? Bonus points if there's an up to date version. I want to take a look at all the feats and having a refrence telling me where to look for each one would be very helpful.
>>
>>51101195
>A paladin who embraces the Oath of Treachery owes allegiance to no one. There are no tenets of this oath, for it lacks any substance.

Wear a fedora?
>>
>>51101216
>>51099146
>>51099126
>>
>>51101266
Ahh, thank you very much, Anon.
>>
>compilation of past dungeons
>nothing from 4e
>>
File: MAGA- THE STAND.jpg (138KB, 585x651px) Image search: [Google]
MAGA- THE STAND.jpg
138KB, 585x651px
>You'll never BUILD WALL in the Underdark to keep all Drow from polluting the rest of the world.
>>
>>51101305
4e didn't have many good "dungeons." Most of the good modules, which were few and far between, took place in open, outdoor spaces.
>>
>>51101339
look, if they're gonna publish Against the Giants, they could also publish Gardmore Abbey
>>
>>51101310
>what do you mean we have to build it personally
>what do you mean we're paying for it
>what happened to all of the clerics that provided free cure disease
>wh-why are all of your advisors liches
>since when are we a suzerainty of Thay
>>
>>51101401
That's fair, it was literally the best thing ever published for 4e. Unfortunately, it was also the final physical publication for 4e, so very few people have actually *played* MGA.
>>
>>51101401
>Deck of Many Things: The Adventure
How about no?
>>
>>51101447
>what happened to all of the clerics that provided free cure disease
If you really think this is what ClericCare really is you should hang yourself, people who have been pushing for ACTUAL free cure disease hate ClericCare because its just a boon for Insurance Guilds.
>>
>>51101502
But you're the entire reason we have the Adventurer Mandate in the first place. It was a concession to you. If the Insurance Guilds love it so much, why are they trying to opt out of the program?
>>
>>51101447
DRAIN THE ABYSS, DROW-LOVER

MAKE TORIL GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>51101472
the way the adventure treats the Deck lends a lot of weight to how dangerous it is. it's certainly a lot more fair than the fucking Tomb of Horrors, but WotC is publishing that of course
>>
>>51101537
>If the Insurance Guilds love it so much, why are they trying to opt out of the program?
They like it because of infinite gold you can draw from government subsidy, they don't like it because they're forced to cover people who don't reliably pay their bills or are willingly unhealthy like chain smokers or the obese.
>>
>>51101537
People who support ClericCare are generally people who can afford their own Private Insurance anyway and don't have the experience of being either forced to pay the government or being forced to pay the Insurance Guild.

Either that or you haven't actually jumped through the hoops to get on clericcare
>>
>>51101592
Maybe people could pay their bills if we raised the minimum wage or all the wealth wasn't being sucked up by level 9 Fighting Men creating fiefdoms everywhere and taxing the shit out of the peasantry.

Why do we even pay so much into the military if we still need adventurers to clear goblins out of the mines?
>>
>>51101648
Don't start questioning the adventuring Action Economy, son- it's a cornerstone of our entire system!
>>
>>51101565
The last time Toril was great, Abeir was still part of it. Are you ready to take on all the Returned Abeir refugees?
>>
>>51101670
I'm just saying, maybe they could do some more patrolling instead of spending exorbitant amounts of our tax coins on impossible projects like the Peasant Railgun. It's up to 35 billion platinum and we still have nothing to show for it.
>>
>>51101716
What is this "printing" you speak of
>>
>>51101735
Maybe he comes from those elven lands with their 'greenbacks,' they don't like using hard, coin currency.
>>
File: 1456074149261.jpg (152KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456074149261.jpg
152KB, 640x720px
>>51101716
How about a MAXIMUM WAGE
>>
>>51101716
To simplify for the illiterates

Value of 1 GP = X amount of goods and services, it is representative of those goods and services, its more than just a shiny thing

If you artificially raise the amount of GP in the economy then

2 GP = X, IE the same amount of goods and services. So raising the "minimum wage" will not change your standard of living and will actually price many adventurers out of the economy and further encourage the hiring of illegal planeswalkers.
>>
>>51094627
I recently set up my old desktop in a way to use it behind the screen. PDFs, maps, notes and all the stuff I need on a 21-inch FullHD screen with a miniature stereo set up behind it for music and stuff? Yes please.
>>
>>51101778
Thats pretty much communism desu
>>
>>51101813
You know who practices Communism? The Drow.
>>
>>51101779
>"artificially"
You know gp is only numbers right? Written on some cosmic inventory sheet somewhere... It's all artificial!
>>
>>51101826
>You know gp is only numbers right? Written on some cosmic inventory sheet somewhere... It's all artificial!
Its not artificial, its representative, letting the government decide the price of different goods and services individually is effectively the same idea as letting them decided the value of GP artificially. GP is worth exactly the goods and services you pay for it and not a CP more or less.
>>
Can't the dm just decide that there's no economic problems in the world and save everyone all this arguing.
>>
>>51101779
We've already seen the effects of increased peasant wages when we formed the first workers' guilds and it didn't price adventurers out of the economy or lead to any of the gloom and doom the naysayers promised.

A doubling of the wage for the peasants doesn't double all of the money in the system. Those peasants also now have the disposable income to spend on goods and services they otherwise avoided, causing new businesses and an increased need for employees among the guilds. It directly benefits the entire economy.

As for the planeswalkers, the best way to ensure they don't come here is to stop dumping tarrasques into their own planes and shitting the place up. Immigration from the Plane of Shadow was always lower than from the much shittier Shadowfell.
>>
>>51101813
That's a really, really big leap to make
>>
>>51101874
Most peasants never see a GP in their lives until some hotshot adventurer blows through down and starts flipping around gold coins just because he can. The average goblin possesses greater wealth than our serf caste.
>>
>>51101875
Its only considered "rude" or "inappropriate" to talk about economics or politics if you're not a leftist, but if you're a communist you're allowed to talk about "muh class struggle" and how economically and monetarily illiterate you are at any sort of occasion up to and including a funeral.
>>
>tfw your villain is a wizard who is ruining the economy by transmuting so much gold and hitting up all the bars and brothels
>party goes to stop him but he just pays them off
>>
>outsiders who can't roll with the joke are gating in from the Salt Plane
>>
What if whole temple of Forge Cleric decide to turn 100gp worth of metal good into 1 platinum coin? How would that affect economy, with the illegal coin getting into the market.
>>
>>51101962
Is it really illegal? It's not a fiat currency. 1p has the value of 1p because platinum is fucking expensive.
>>
>>51101876
>We've already seen the effects of increased peasant wages when we formed the first workers' guilds and it didn't price adventurers out of the economy or lead to any of the gloom and doom the naysayers promised.
Lmao my sister just had to lay off half her staff because they raised the minimum wage form 8.5gp an hour to 11.5 gp and now has to work understaffed.

>>51101898
>Most peasants never see a GP in their lives
So? There will always be peasants and aristocrats because equality doesn't exist. The peasants standards of living always rise with the aristocrats because its in the best interest of the aristocrats to have a happy and healthy peasantry to obtain labor from. Modern peasants have the closest standard of living to aristocrats in human history, the only thing that has change is monetary value. Artistocrats have hit this generations ceiling of living standards and all growth goes directly to the lower classes. Yes you may be able to "own" 12 castles but you can't "use" 12 castles.
>>
File: it was a good day.jpg (188KB, 1439x1374px) Image search: [Google]
it was a good day.jpg
188KB, 1439x1374px
>When a Trump shitpost takes over an entire thread.
>>
>>51101962
Federal Mystics could perceive the forgery.
>>
>>51101962
What if the Forge Cleric breaks into the kingdom's vault and, over the course of a few weeks, manufactures a few thousand gold worth of caltrops?
>>
>>51101998
the Trump poster is getting mad in here, the rest of us are having fun at his expense
just roll with it fampai
>>
>>51101962
>>51101945
Now I can't decide between playing a Transmuter Wizard or Forge Cleric.
>>
>>51102010
Just find some Battlemasters or Thief Rogues to sell them to.
>>
>>51102028
Many new (foot) physician jobs are created
>>
We're doing out of the abyss and I've bought a female drow slave (mostly because another player won't be able to attend for the next two months or so) from some cave lizardfolk. How do I prevent this from going magical realm / elf rape land? My character is a barbarian so I'm thinking maybe some barbarian code of honor but it seems kinda lame to me. Should I just bite the bullet and do the deed off screen for the sake of character integrity?
>>
>>51102138
Don't do it, she probably has AIDS.
There. Perfectly reasonable justification.
>>
>>51102138
Don't do it ever. Groom her into pure waifu.
>>
>>51102138
spiders in her vagina, man. Don't want a necrotic dick, do you?
>>
>>51102138
>being attracted to elves
>being attracted to BLACK (not brown) elves
>>
>>51102138
What you do is you free her from slavery and ask for her help with the adventure, with the understanding that your DM will run her as being grateful to you and eventually she will learn to be nice, love you for your heroic good heart, and will finally kiss you shortly before her heroic sacrifice
>>
>>51102226
that doesnt sound very drow to me
shed probably love you more if you overpowered her and knocked her up desu senpai
>>
>>51102243
Wouldn't a drow woman think that a man and especially a non-drow was far beneath her and not worthy of fucking her?
>>
>>51102261
tis a shit test, beta drow boys are so whipped they're just dying for someone to sweep them off their feet
>>
>>51102261
You're supposed to bite open the back of her skull and nibble her brain in just the right way that she becomes your willing fuckthrall, like the illithids do.
>>
>>51102138
so like
you dont NEED to rape slaves
Slaves are just people who work for you and you don't have to pay them
there need not be rape involved
>>
>>51102138
Maybe something like, you toss her a knife/club/etc. and challenge her to a fight. If you win, set her free with something like, "You're not strong enough to follow me."
>>
File: IMG_4383.jpg (117KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4383.jpg
117KB, 600x800px
>>51096735
One big thing: don't let yourself become ensnared by what it says in the book of what to do, and exactly what the situation calls for. Just treat the module like an idea book, it's not gospel.
>>
>>51102329
My friend you have opened my mind.
>>
>>51102329
you gotta pacify someone treacherous like a drow femme
what better way than to get her addicted to dat pipe
>>
How would you go about scaling the Find Steed spell? It seems that the mount loses a lot of worth once it can get one shot easily, so would allowing a mount with a higher CR for a higher spell slot be gamebreaking or no?
>>
>>51102380
How long do drow pregnancies last? If this game is purportedly going to be going for at least a month of games (???) you could end up knocking this character out (no pun intended) of combat if you did that. Doesn't make much sense for an NPC just added for combat purposes.
>>
>>51102380
if im being honest raping someone doesn't sound like the greatest way to get them on your side
sounds like a great way to have her wait til your asleep and cut off you dick which is what id do if i was a DM in that situation. wait til they say their taking a nights rest, then have them make three mid to high perception rolls and if they fail all they way up to genital mutilation
humiliation is a good tactic for fussy slaves though. make them wear silly outfits and do humiliating things and make a showy event of rewarding you other slaves who do even the most basic of tasks without complain
>>
Guys is Kensai worth bringing up to a DM, or am I better off making a fighter?
>>
Who let /pfg/ denizen in here?

First Wizard and wolf. Now Drow pregnancy? Stay in your general thread and let people discuss actual gameplay stuff or specilate the next UA.
>>
>>51102464
Always converse with your DM about your character creation.
>>
>>51102464
No, it needs heavy house ruling to be functional.
>>
>>51102464
> Most Gms don't mind UA especially for play test material
>>
>>51102427
Well, elves live like 10x longer than humans, so the pregnancy should also be 10x longer. A little over seven years.
>>
>>51102464
If you think it'd be more fun than fighter, go for it. If your DM seems skeptical, hold back a little bit.

Kensai is a little bit broken but also good. It's basically a flat damage increase to monk with the possibility of more AC. That's about it mechanically. Thus, compared to open hand or shadow monk, it's hopelessly boring and seeks to make Monk a bit better at something other than control/stealth by making its standard attacks somewhat okay, but in the end...
Yeah. Monks need the extra survivability with the AC and could be fine with a bit more damage. So it's not broken persay, but eh.

Go ahead and do whatever if your DM allows you.
>>
>>51102523
>>51102501
>>51102649
Ah. I may also be trying to make something that just doesn't fit the system at the same time, so I'll at least take this all under thought. Last time I tried 5e I got heavily annoyed with even trying to create a character, more so that nothing seemed to fit. Likely an issue on my side.
>>
>>51102495

>next UA

Mystic or Rogue? And if it is Rogue, what will they get?

An anti-undead archtype? A fey archtype?

I'd love to see a Pala Rogue.
>>
>>51102855

What kind of character are you trying to make?
>>
>>51102855
If you're not willing to make slight compromises for a specific character idea or you're trying to import a pathfinder or mechanically specific character, it tends to not really work out, especially if it's some high fantasy character that fights with crystals or some magical bullshit.

If you want a character that's a bit more realistic or 'normal' or you make a character with 5e in mind you usually end up fine.
>>
>>51102920
It will be ranger or rogue, probably rogue.

I'm hoping for a rogue that emphasizes lucky stuff and one that's like a religious inquisitor.
>>
>>51102978

>ranger

oops thought i missed one. I wouldn't mind if they skipped it considering how much love ranger's been getting this year. they can come back to it if they want but i'm much less excited about it than i am the other options.
>>
>>51103000
If they did ranger and it was a further refinement of the UA rewrite that gave it good features past level 8, I'd be fine with that.

I really want the concept to be worthwhile.
>>
>>51102965
> character the fight with crystal
Can't you just be a Wizard who fluff every spell as crystal?
>>
>>51103041
You can, but some people might not be satisfied with reluffing the fuck out of everything.

They might be satisfied with using a crystal as an arcane focus.
>>
>>51102978
>>51103000
Pretty sure it will be ranger. These UA are for expanding more archetype. Revised ranger document didn't give us that.
>>
>>51103029

I wouldn't mind if they refined their old UAs but i don't think they will. One thing that would be cool to see is an updated version of the spell less ranger; I love the idea of a ranger who could forage for supplies to enhance his attacks (Monster Hunter style I guess).

That's just me. I hope they don't get rid of the Ranger's sweet first level features entirely. I'm cool if they spread it out but the idea that my ranger can no longer ignore difficult terrain or get advantage on initiative because he's in a city is pretty lame.
>>
>>51102920
>Pala Rogue
Maybe 5e version of Pathfinder's Inquisitor. Though admittedly I think you can build that with Cleric+Ranger multiclass.
>>
>>51103118

I just want a Rogue who's fluffed around being devoted to a noble/good cause. The opposite of the Oath of Treachery. I did also kinda wish the Oath of Treachery was a Paladin who could backstab evil though.
>>
>>51103118
You can realize that concept with multiclass. There is no reason to make an archetype bloat just for it. I really wish they stick to their own advice about Samurai being oath of devotion paladin too. Someone need to stop Mearl.
>>
>>51103173
>You can realize that concept with multiclass.
When i said
>Though admittedly I think you can build that with Cleric+Ranger multiclass.

Thanks.
>>
>>51103173
>archetype bloat
>teehee if you want to play a good Rogue BECOME A MAGICAL MAN WITH SPELLCASTING LITERALLY EMPOWERED BY HIS OATH ALSO IF YOU BREAK IT YOU LOSE YOUR POWERS AND LOSE YOUR SNEAK ATTACK PROGRESSION THE WHOLE WAY
yeah
nah
>>
>>51103191
SwashbucklerRogue5/PaladinX or ATRogue6/PaladinX aren't so bad.
>>
>>51101143
you did the right thing anon
>>
Am I a bad person for enjoying more specific homebrew classes rather than refluffing or multiclassing?

Multiclassing just feels like an easy out rather than going through the effort of creating something interesting and unique that more appropriately fits a character concept.
>>
>>51103173

As far as 5e goes, it seems like it's always cleaner and simpler to have an archetype than to tell players "just multiclass."

Archetypes also aren't very bloaty because they all compete for the same spot on a character. It's actually worse to make a new class in that sense because multiclassing can always just slap new classes on, but you only get one archetype per class.
>>
>>51103439
Nope. I always work with my players to create character options that more accurately reflect the type of character they want. Customization is one of tabletop's greatest strengths.
>>
>>51103603
see i feel like limitations help define a character, that is of course just me and how i do it.
but fitting a character around a race a class and archetype helps define them to me
if not fluff then function.
>>
we need new thread
>>
>>51103846
You could have made one yourself, you know.
>>
>>51103860
so could you
>>
>>51103871
I never said I wanted a new thread though.
>>
>>51103884
but we'll die
>>
>>51103889
We're all gravy, then.
>>
>>51103221
> he doesn't know how paladin actually work in 5e

Only if you nonchalantly break oath and show no repentance. And you get a full refund into other class (or switch to oathbreaker pact).
>>
File: icemage.jpg (159KB, 665x1200px) Image search: [Google]
icemage.jpg
159KB, 665x1200px
>>51104033
NEW THREAD
>>51104033

new THREAD
>>51104033

>>51104033
>>
File: Tawah (2).jpg (162KB, 1038x960px) Image search: [Google]
Tawah (2).jpg
162KB, 1038x960px
“Westington Schurtz, once the proud gnomish chief scientist, laid chained wrist, ankles and snout to the floor of Veterum´s grand hall. The ambassadors were led into the room, cuffed, As the high executioner sharpened his axe and Lord Ygdramar dictated the sentence of a whole race“
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.